The Eyes and Ears of Melkor by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Chapter 9 The Thaw


Hurin would not see Tuor or Voronwe again and he would not live to experience the fulfilment of his brother's last words to Turgon at the Nirnaeth, "Though we part here forever, and I shall not look upon your white walls again, from you and from me a new star shall arise."  However a short time later, he would observe his son meet the doom that Gwindor declared at his death; for after taking flight from Dor-Lomin, Turin, came into Brethil in time to assist a party of woodsmen that were assailed by Orcs.  Turin heard the danger from a secluded coppice and feigned that he had a number of warriors at his command and cried out the attack; he charged out against the Orcs with such great noise that he deceived them and they scattered heedlessly into the forest dropping their Orb.  The woodsmen gave him great praise, and learning from Turin that he now wondered as a wild man, they bade him to live amongst them and welcomed his valour.  Turin declined their offer at first; informing them of his errand to discover Finduilas, but these were same archers who attacked the Orcs that cruelly slew the prisoners of Nargothrond and they told him of her fate and her words.  They knew him now as the Mormegil and esteemed him all the more for the fame of the ‘Black Sword of Nargothrond' had spread far across the land, but Turin was disconsolate and begged to know where her body lay and they took him to her burial mound.  The dropping of the Orb proved an evil in after days for these events were witnessed by the servants of Morgoth, and Hurin knew this too because of the ill fate pursuing his son.

The tale now turns to Doriath, and though the following events were as yet unknown beyond the confines of the Girdle of Melian they had a direct bearing on the days to come.  Now the handful of Elves that managed to escape the slaughter at Nargothrond wondered aimless for many months throughout Beleriand and barely surviving the onset of the winter they came to the marches of Doriath and were admitted by the will of Thingol.  It was the time of Yule and they reported all they knew to the sorrowing ears of the king and queen, they received healing and were granted new homes within the protected realm.  It has been told elsewhere that the Noldorin princess Galadriel had long dwelt in Doriath with Celeborn her husband, a kinsman of Thingol, and that she was instructed by the wisdom of Melian.  When Galadriel received the final confirmation that her brother Orodreth had died she was dreadfully grieved and wondered into the forest of Neldoreth to be alone, but Melian followed after her and found Galadriel weeping in a snow covered porch.

Placing her arm gently on Galadriel's shoulder, Melian said, "I mourn for Orodreth and for you too Galadriel, but please come back with me to Menegroth out of this bitter weather for I fear that its evil breath will also take you from us."

Galadriel dejectedly turned around saying "All of my brothers are lost, Melian," and she collapsed into her mentor's loving embrace.

They both wept together, and after a while Melian repeated softly "Come!"

But Galadriel was not ready to leave yet and she asked Melian to stay a while longer if she would not desert her to the elements, "The cold comforts me somehow," she said "for it bites at my numbness; Oh Melian, why does the ‘House of Beor' bring ruin upon my kin?"

Melian remembered how Finrod fell assisting Beren in the Quest of the Silmaril and now Orodreth (renowned for his caution) was gone, fighting at the side of impetuous Turin.  After pondering Galadriel's words she said, "Alas, I told Turin long ago that his fate was twined with that of the Elves, and that his bearing would influence it for good or ill; it seems evident that his over-boldness has led him to the latter end.  However I told him also, as I deferentially remind you my dear unhappy child, that Beren carried a far higher doom than he.  I know it is difficult to hear this now, and I do understand the grief behind your question, but please do not judge Beren and Turin to be the same because of their lineage; for Finrod aided Beren in the payment the oath that he swore to Beor's folk after saving his life in battle."

"I know you are right," said Galadriel "I am sorry; but I do regret the fate that Finrod's first meeting with the Edain has wrought, and hearing what I already knew in my heart of Orodreth makes it all the more difficult to countenance the kin of the man who hastened his demise."

"Morwen grieves too, and Nienor," said Melian "for they have lost the steadfast Hurin to the Great Enemy and they yearn for their long-time missing son and brother.  I deem that the mother's dignity, or pride if you will, has passed into Turin but I ask you in your greater wisdom to pity those who resist healing in place of so-called self respect.  Also would I say this: great were the judgements of Finrod in life do not regret them in his death, for I consider that far off both our lines will mingle with that of Beor's ere the long defeat, and from this shall spring hope for all free folk."

Galadriel knew not to gainsay the wisdom of Melian, even in grief, and at the last she gave way to the Maia's bidding and returned to the warmth and healing of Menegroth.  It appeared to all that Galadriel's mood eased somewhat and in after days she looked ever more kindly on the wife and daughter of Hurin, even after the news of Finduilas reached Doriath during the milder weather.  Now amid the rumours that came via the Nargothrond Elves to Doriath there was no sure news regarding the fate of Turin and Morwen grew ever the more uncertain.  Some said the Mormegil was slain by Orodreth's side, or that he was spellbound by a great Dragon, or that he fled the field of battle with Gwindor's body; but all confirmed that it was known in Nargothrond that the Mormegil was indeed Turin, son of Hurin.  This doubt spread throughout Doriath until finally Thingol declared that he would send forth a reconnaissance squad to discover the truth of the matter when the weather eased; his main concern lay in the report that Glaurung now occupied the Halls of Felagund and the obvious danger that this now posed to the southlands.  Morwen heard of the king's plan and determined that she would accompany his emissaries in order to gain tidings of her son.  Thingol forbade this telling her of the grave peril that she would face but Morwen was undeterred stating that she would go alone regardless of king's wishes.  Melian's counsels were unavailing and even the promise of Mablung, the Chief Captain of Thingol, to discover sure news of Turin's fate would not assuage the Lady of Dor-Lomin.  There came a day at the beginning of spring when Morwen grew restless and fey, and she told Nienor that she would depart that night urging her daughter to remain in the safety of Menegroth; however Thingol heard of this and he commanded Mablung and a party of Elves to follow her and if she would not relent in her rash mission then they must protect her and gain as much knowledge as they could along the way.  Thingol was displeased at this development for his strategy was as yet unprepared and the few riders he hastily sent were ill-equipped to deal with a monstrous Dragon.  The riders came at night to the Twilight Meres by the Falls of Sirion and boarded a ferry when Morwen noticed that an extra member had joined the company and Nienor was revealed to them.  Morwen pleaded with her daughter to return but Nienor stubbornly stated that she would not be parted from her mother if Morwen would go on and that if she could then she would finally set eyes on her brother.  Morwen saw her own fortitude mirrored in the resolute eyes of her daughter and against her will she surrendered to Nienor's choice; so it was that the wife and daughter of Hurin rode without pause or doubt towards their destiny into the once fair lands now desolated by Glaurung the Uruloki, and into the web of the Curse of Morgoth against Hurin‘s kin.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment