The Eyes and Ears of Melkor by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Chapter 7 The Words of Glaurung and Hurin


It has been told before that Melkor took twisted enjoyment from the bloody ruin of his foes and that he knew how much this distressed Hurin; he is the cruellest master of slow torment and it has always been his wont to take captives, by his wicked practices he gained much intelligence about his enemies and would repay a betrayal with death or slavery.  In this way he learnt plenty concerning the fortunes of Turin and not all seemed favourable to the character of Hurin's son; accordingly, if Melkor ever heard anything that he knew would unbalance Hurin then he had to wrestle between the urge to gloat before him or the will keep his own pride intact, in which his pride always won out.  Now an opportunity arose to heavily demoralise Hurin and Melkor pondered on how best to achieve this without having to look upon him or hear his hated voice.  Thus it was that Melkor turned again to Glaurung and he told the Dragon all he knew and all that was rumoured about the life of Turin.  

He said "I trust in your malice because it was born of my own; let my words absorb within, and when you are ready you may twist them into the heart of Hurin by whatever by you deem fit." and with that he stroked Glaurung's dry golden-green scales with his pointed fingers.  

The Dragon quivered at his touch, saying "My Lord, I will take my rest for one month and then so do the first part of your will, afterwards I will await further instruction from you;" now, in order to concentrate energy and thought a Dragon requires total rest and replenishment.

Melkor said, "Afterwards you have complete leave to go where you will and whatsoever you claim shall be your own, all I ask is that you fulfil my curse," they both bowed and Glaurung returned to his cave. 

It was late spring and the war in the south had eased; Hurin's kin had already left Hithlum and he grew uneasy since he knew not if they were slain, captured or free.  Now the time of day came for Hurin to eat and his right arm was temporarily released; whilst he was eating he heard a scurrying sound beneath him and with his arm free he was able to crank his neck and twist to see what caused the sound.  He saw a long reptilian beast spiralling up the cone of the central pillar of Thangorodhrim and for a moment he thought that Morgoth was come again in changed form, but this was Glaurung and Hurin had never seen his like before though all the warriors of Beleriand knew his name.  As the huge Dragon head came into full view the runes on Sauron's chair lit and Hurin's arm snapped down; the carrion bird gingerly flew between them and collected the half eaten bag of food.  

"It is the iron in your blood you know," said Glaurung to a stunned Hurin, "Yes, the chair magnetises your blood but the Binding-Spell allows your circulation to continue flowing.  You have to agree my master is truly a genius, No?  Oh!  Where are my manners?  Hail Hurin!  I would say well met but, hmm, well look at you; you are hardly intimidating now, are you?" 

"What do you want, Glaurung?" said Hurin defiantly.

The Dragon shimmied and said, "You know me, I am honoured, I did not know that my fame spread so far upwards since I cannot fly..."

"I said what you want?" repeated Hurin.

Glaurung shook his head and said, "Well, do not say I have not tried to be nice!  What I want is, is to announce ‘A New Year of Lamentation' because I know that you remember the last one," and with that he fixed his eye on Hurin.   Now it seemed to Hurin that Glaurung's eye resembled an Orb, being black and flecked with gold, but this was living and serpentine; the Dragon comprehended his thought and said, "My eyes are far more powerful than tumbled stone, Son of Galdor, for they see far deeper than just the material before it.  Although, as I now attune to your Orb you will be able to see all that I do when I am abroad, for I will be my master's emissary and he did promise you that nothing would be hidden from you.  However I am here today on other business, I come bearing news."

"What news?"  Hurin asked reluctantly.

"News of you son, Turin," said Glaurung wryly, "I am sure you must be worried about him, after all it has been a while since you saw his face," and he smiled.

"Then does he yet live?" said Hurin.

"Yes he lives, for now, but I am sure you guessed at that since you witnessed his pathetic rescue, but there is much more to know besides that," said Glaurung.

"I would have you tell me; what do you know of him?" demanded Hurin.

"Well, speaking of ‘that rescue' did you know that your son slew the very one that saved him?" said Glaurung; to punctuate his remark he spat Beleg's bow into Hurin's lap and continued, "My master's servants dug this up with the Elf's body in a thicket not far from the encampment, oh and they found this there also," and he produced the Dragon-Helm.  "It seems the Elf was going to return it to Turin," he laughed "Yet since he did not want it and you are Hador's living heir I believe this is yours, but because you cannot use it my master said that he will keep it safe for you."

"This proves nothing" said Hurin bitterly.

"Unfortunately it does," condescended Glaurung, "We have studied the Elf corpse and the blade marks match exactly with those of others that your son has slain."

"How do you know who my son has, or has not slain?" retorted Hurin.

"Then have you not guessed?" said Glaurung, "Turin is ‘The Mormegil' I cannot believe you did not know: the craven mask, the stupidity of open assault, the bridge; oh I love the bridge, was it not obvious?" and he emitted dark smoke as he laughed.

Hurin sat desolated by this news but Glaurung had more, "Beleg is not the only Elf he has rashly slain..." he began, "This is only a rumour mind, yet my master's techniques are very effective and he usually squeezes out the truth of a matter; but I digress.  There was in Doriath who was wise, by Elven standards, for he took an instant dislike to you son, even as a boy; Saeros was his name, and he rightly begrudged the fostering of Turin by that dotard Thingol and the favour the king gave to your son.  Do you remember when Turin went missing from the Northern War?  Of course you do; well, it seems that he returned to Thingy's Hall and had a disagreement with Saeros.  Then the following day, still hot with wrath, he cruelly forced Saeros into a ravine at sword point; this is the reason why King Thingy banished him, but quite why the archer committed treason to side with Turin is not known.  Still they did seem rather close, do you not think so?  I do not know if Turin is one for the girls because it is rumoured that there is one in Nargothrond, the king‘s daughter no less, whom your son has spurned.  Yet and all she is betrothed to an escaped thrall, I believe you know him; Gwindor, he who rashly charged to his capture at the glorious fifth battle, and it is said that he saved your son from the madness of grief after the murder of the Elf he loved."

"You disgusting worm," said Hurin.

"Great Worm, if you do not mind!" said Glaurung, "But since you say disgusting, answer me this!  Why is it that your son, who has grown in might and is able to call many to him, has NEVER ONCE attempted to come against our forces at Hithlum with a force of his own on behalf of, or in aid of your kin?"

"My kin have left Hithlum," said Hurin forlornly.

"Turin does not know this, but he would if he ever dared to try that which I have just asked; and besides you have not answered my question because you cannot, you are right to be ashamed of such an ill-gotten son," said Glaurung spitefully.

"I am not ashamed of my son; you ask what cannot be answered without seeing both sides of the argument.  I say that it was wisdom that led him not into your trap and courage that keeps him fighting my foe," replied Hurin.

"Then you are deluded by a father's pride; you speak of wisdom then I say it is folly, you say courage then I say cowardice for I have told you of Turin's deeds," said the wicked beast, "However this matters little because I am confident that I will meet your son and we shall see then who is right.  I leave you now Hurin, with these words; look for me beyond Brethil," and with that the formidable Dragon descended the tower and took to his slumber.

Hurin soon understood the dreadful meaning behind Glaurung's last words, when a few days later Morgoth sent a mighty battalion of Orcs upon the houses of Brethil to guarantee the taking of the Crossings of Teiglin.  The Orcs came at them on unawares but the Men of Brethil fought valiantly though they were few at first; their lord Handir, the cousin of Hurin, joined the conflict but was slain and the lordship passed to his son  Brandir, who is called ‘The Lame' because of his club foot.  The fighting Men were forced back into the forest and contained there whilst the Orcs collected about the Pass of Sirion; their strength became so great that the Men of Brethil were compelled to hide in their own lands throughout the summer as the forces of Morgoth mustered for battle.  Hurin mourned for Handir and feared what would become of Turin and his other kin; he did not forget his shaming by Glaurung and dreaded what evil as yet unforeseen may come to pass.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment