The Eyes and Ears of Melkor by Chilled in Hithlum

| | |

Chapter 4 The Words of Glaurung and Melkor


Melkor sat on his lonely throne considering the dais with Sauron's seat ripped away from it and he wondered what action to take regarding his most effective devotee.  He mused over the veiling of the Orb and Sauron's cool defiance (if that is what it was) at the passing of the Orcs; and the one thing Melkor felt sure of was that his greatest servant had an undisclosed plan, and this bothered him.  He did not wish to appear uneasy in front of his captains again, as he did after his last words with Hurin, but he wanted to voice his concerns.  Therefore Melkor's thought turned toward Glaurung, the father of all dragons; for here he had a creature bred by his own wickedness that most closely resembled him in bestial form and mind.  Melkor rose from his seat, and passing through the mine entrance and beyond the molten crater, he descended into a smouldering cave mouth.  Therein slept the Uruloki, the fire serpents of the old world, and none save Melkor dared to wake them lest they be consumed by wrathful flames.  

"Awake, Glaurung!" called Melkor, "Your master commands you".

The golden armour of the Great Worm shimmered in the half-light of the subterranean cavern as he stirred from a heavy slumber.  He expanded to an enormous length when he stretched himself and expelled a draught of hot steam from his nostrils before greeting Melkor with a thin smile.  "Yes, My Lord" said Glaurung.

"Walk with me!" commanded Melkor and they made their way back to the cooler throne room; Melkor sat enthroned and the dragon curled himself about the dais at the feet of his ruler. 

After a weighty silence the dragon spoke "How may I comfort you my master, for I perceive that a burden troubles your brow".

"If it was comfort I required, Glaurung, then I would have taken a different path long ago" said Melkor, "No; my need is far more fundamental than that.  I created thee from my basest self and it is from that source that I need counsel now".

The dragon's eyes widened and he said "How so?"

Melkor told Glaurung about his banishment of Sauron and the use of his chair to imprison Hurin, of his later dealings with Hurin and of Sauron's recent actions. "I am in doubt," he said "I have allowed my forces to be pushed back but this has not yielded any of my true enemies, I deem that the son of the mortal overhead gives the father pleasure that I begrudge him and Sauron seems to openly defy me in front of my captains.  What should be done?"

"Nothing..." said Glaurung, and after a pause he continued "...Petty victories and pleasure are short lived and they only embolden a foolish heart.  Let the mortals have their time in the sun for I deem that winter bites them much harder.  And if the Elves wish to cower and hide then I say let them, for if they will not oppose you then how can they stop you?  As for Sauron, all I can offer is that you know him best; but it seems to me he is telling you indirectly, since you will not countenance him, that he wants your attention.  Sauron is cunning but he is no fool, master, I believe from what you I told me that he wants to win back your favour.  However, since he has veiled his plans I cannot guess how; I would say this though, it does no good to vex the mind with what it cannot fathom because this only clouds the judgement".

"Would Sauron move against me?" asked Melkor.

The dragon shook his head and said "He cannot and he dare not.  My Lord, I do not believe that Sauron is your problem or even some irksome Elves.  I apologise ahead of time if I speak out of turn, but I feel that you want me to say this; you have allowed the words of a bass-born mortal to infect your mind.  Allow me, lord, to rid you of this parasite with a blast of fire or let him see his home and loved ones go up in flames".

"NO!" said Melkor "That would be too simple.  Of one thing you are right, Glaurung, I have listened the echo of Hurin's words for too long and I shall release you on to him, but not yet; however, he will be consumed by his own fire and not yours.  You have counselled me well today and in payment for this I shall leave Sauron to his own devices, though I trust him little, and I hope he realises what an ally he has in you.  As ever, with the Elves I will have to be patient; go now to your rest Glaurung, and I shall call on you at need!"

"By your will, Lord!" said the dragon and he crawled back to his pit.  Melkor felt refreshed by his council with Glaurung, and alone he appraised anew his dark plans in his dark thought in his dark chamber.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment