The Trees of Numenor by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Tolkien Weekly Tree Challenge (except for the late addition)

Warnings are for canonical possible suicide (Erendis) and canonical dubious consent (Miriel), both implied rather than stated

The drabbles are 100 words each according to MS Word.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A sequence of eight drabbles spanning the history of Numenor, with a particular focus on the period of Aldarion.

Now added: an extra drabble on Amandil for the Akallabeth in August challenge

Major Characters: Almarian, Ar-Pharazôn, Elros, Erendis, Gil-galad, Isildur, Tar-Aldarion, Tar-Ancalimë, Tar-Míriel, Voronwë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Akallabêth in August

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Rape/Nonconsensual Sex, Suicide, Character Death

Chapters: 9 Word Count: 856
Posted on 14 December 2013 Updated on 25 August 2014

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1: Planting the White Tree

The White Tree

Prompt: Roots 

Elros, Voronwe

For Loke

Read Chapter 1: Planting the White Tree

Armenelos was hardly a city yet: it seemed part overgrown village, part ramshackle construction site. Yet, in the central court of the future palace, a square piece of earth had been marked out. Voronwe watched Elros wield the shovel with much expertise.
‘In truth’, he said, ‘this sapling resembles mighty Telperion of old far less than silver-flowered Belthil did that Turgon made and raised up in fair Gondolin, for your great-grandfather was master of his craft. But, unlike Belthil, this is a living tree and we hope it will take root and grow.’
Carefully, he transferred Nimloth into the hole.


Chapter End Notes

Written for Loke, who likes stories featuring Voronwe, the elf who led Tuor to Gondolin. This drabble assumes he survived the Fall of Gondolin and was among those that brought the White Tree from Tol Eressea to Numenor.

Chapter 2: Aldarion's Mother

Oiolaire

Prompt: Leaves

Almarian

Read Chapter 2: Aldarion's Mother

The first time she carried the Bough of Return to her father’s ship, she got to wear a brand-new white dress. Her mother gave her a gentle push and she walked solemnly up the pier, balancing the big branch with its evergreen leaves.
‘Well done’, said her father, the great captain, and her mother smiled.
Now her husband has forbidden her to carry the Bough to her son. Having made his own sacrifice to duty, he expects sacrifice from others. Is she so fond, so foolish? Surely, the one thing worse than her son’s leaving is his not coming back?

Chapter 3: A Gift from the West

Nisimaldar

Prompt: Bark

Aldarion, Gil-galad

Read Chapter 3: A Gift from the West

‘I have brought you lairelosse, although it may not flourish here. Can you smell the sweet scent of its bark?  It came from Tol Eressea; so much is ours by the gift of the Eldar. Even our kingship—we have begun to attribute it to our trace of elvish blood rather than to our descent from Tuor and Beren. Nevertheless, it was hard to believe we are kin—until I met you. Or do I presume?’
Aldarion’s face was both proud and anxious. Gil-galad smiled, inhaling exotic fragrance.
‘We are kin. And like you, kinsman, I’ve never seen Tol Eressea.’


Chapter End Notes

The tree name lairelosse translates as "summer-snow-white". It is one of the fragrant trees of the woods of Nisimaldar in Numenor. According to one account, the mallorn was also one of these and mallorn nuts were given by Aldarion to Gil-galad, who passed them on to Galadriel.

Chapter 4: Aldarion's Daughter

Nisimaldar

Prompt: Trunk

Ancalime, Beregar (Aldarion's father-in-law)

Read Chapter 4: Aldarion's Daughter

‘My father has planted many trees,’ says Ancalime. ‘I have seen his plantations in the Hyarrostar.’
The look she gives her grandfather is calculating.
‘True,’ Beregar says carefully. ‘Aldarion has introduced forestry to Numenor. But our woods here are not the same as those. In the plantations, tree trunks are already destined to be ships’ masts—or rafters. Here trees grow at their own will. I think maybe there is need of both.’
‘I see’, says Ancalime.
Beregar’s heart sinks. His granddaughter is clever enough to follow any argument but all she listens for is: Whose side are you on?

Chapter 5: The Saddest of Farewells

Oiolaire

Prompt: Twig

Erendis, Aldarion

Read Chapter 5: The Saddest of Farewells

They pull her from the water—an old woman, grey-haired, a sheep-farmer from Emerie by her dress. How did she come here, so far out of her depth?  She’s clutching a stick—not a shepherd’s crook—a piece of oiolaire, but entirely stripped of bark, twigs and leaves.
By the time Ancalime realizes her mother is missing, Aldarion has landed. He tracks down his estranged wife in her unmarked grave near the harbour-front. A fine figure of a man, still—but he considers his legacy: great plans, might-have-beens; unease at home, unrest abroad.
‘Forgive me, Erendis. Too late, I’m back.’

Chapter 6: The End is Not the End

The White Tree

Prompt: Sap

Isildur, Elendil, Anarion

Read Chapter 6: The End is Not the End

In Armenelos, the fire crackles. On its pyre, the White Tree begins to smoulder. The remaining sap, sizzling in the heat, evaporates, the flames catch and, as foretold, the blaze heralds the end of a line of Kings.
In Romenna, Isildur lies in a high fever. Elendil sits at his bedside, wringing out cloths in cold water, attempting to cool his son’s burning brow, while Anarion swears the physician to silence on the nature of his brother’s wounds.
Well hidden, the fruit that Isildur stole merely awaits the right time for the White Tree to grow and bloom again, elsewhere.

Chapter 7: Last Remaining Superstition

Oiolaire

Prompt: Branch

Ar-Pharazon (Tar-Calion), Miriel

 

Read Chapter 7: Last Remaining Superstition

‘You refuse?’
‘I’m saying it would be a futile gesture, worse than meaningless, Tar-Calion—like inscribing your royal title on the Scrolls in forbidden Quenya. Do you truly imagine Lady Uinen will protect you as you go to war against the Valar?’
‘You will carry the Bough of Return for the bow of my ship. The Queen must not be seen to withhold her support from our venture.’
‘I do not support your venture.  You are long lost to me, cousin—yet I cannot help wishing you may return safely, all of you. I will bring the branch of oiolaire.’


Chapter End Notes

Numenorean royal titles continued to be inscribed on the Scrolls in Quenya even when the language fell into disfavour to prevent ill fortune ensuing. Although we are not told the custom endured, it seems possible  that Numenoreans would cling to the belief that the  branch of oiolaire tied to the prow ensured a safe return even in the days of Ar-Pharazon.

Chapter 8: They Were Remembered in Many Songs

Nisimaldar, Oiolaire, The White Tree

Prompt: Crown

Gilraen, Aragorn (Estel)

Read Chapter 8: They Were Remembered in Many Songs

‘Listen’, said Gilraen, ‘this is a song I learnt of olden times:

In the Land of the Gift, star-wards, in the forgotten West,
many trees grew and bloomed: taniquelasse,
snow-white in summer, lairelosse
bearing scarlet globes, yavannamire,  green oiolaire
the enduring, dear to Uinen,
and, beloved of the Valier, vardarianna,
nessamelda--in Nisimaldar
all filled the air with sweet fragrance,
while golden-crowned laurinque with long-clustered flowers
grew abundantly in groves in the south,
but, in the court of the king, in the heart of the Arandor,
grew one white Tree.

Sleep now, Estel, dream of the trees of Numenor!’


Chapter End Notes

The title of this drabble is a quotation from the description of Numenor in Unfinished Tales.

Additional Drabble: Reprieve

Summary: Isildur lies dangerously ill from his wounds. Amandil meanwhile tries to grow a seedling from the fruit of the White Tree that Isildur rescued.
Characters: Amandil, Anarion
Rating: Teens (PG)

Read Additional Drabble: Reprieve

Even here, among friends, Amandil makes sure he is unobserved before he slips away to the hidden nook where a plain pot full of earth awaits him. Who would have thought he would turn gardener late in life? An unsuccessful one—for the seed, too dearly bought, refuses to sprout.
But look! Overnight, new green has risen to meet the sunlight! And on his return, Anarion awaits him.
‘Grandfather!’
Fear grips him again immediately. ‘What is it?’
‘Isildur… He woke. He has spoken!’
Beyond hope, a bitter winter is over. After this reprieve, Amandil will not easily give up again.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.