Winged Voices: Birds of Middle-earth by Himring

| | |

Chapter 5: In Long Swift Lines

The Eagles are coming!
Their own point of view on events, from the First Age to the end of the War of the Ring...


‘Ours is a proud heritage,’ the Eagle mother told her brood, ‘for our ancestor, Thorondor, bore elven princes away through the fumes of Angband to safety, yea, he snatched the fallen king’s body from the grasp of Morgoth himself! And even I, his lesser descendant, helped to rescue dwarves from orcs and from fire. Fili was the name of the youngling I carried…’

‘Fly on!’ cries Landroval, urgently. Meneldor, buffeted right and left by the tumultuous winds of the eruption of Orodruin, remembers his mother’s words, takes courage and darts down through hot ash, snatching Sam’s body up and away.


Chapter End Notes

"There came Gwaihir the Windlord, and Landroval his brother, greatest of all the Eagles of the North, mightiest of the descendants of old Thorondor, who built his eyries in the inaccessible peaks of the Encircling Mountains when Middle-earth was young. Behind them in long swift lines came all their vassals from the northern mountains..."

("The Field of Cormallen", RotK)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment