An Act of Faith by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for Fandom Stocking for AngstyChaosMagicUser, who said she liked female protagonists, including textual ghosts.

 

Hopefully, the piece now posted will one day function as the prologue for a WIP featuring Celebrimbor and his mother, of which so far only two segments have been written (these were posted to Dreamwidth and  LJ some time ago).

 

Teens for references to canon violence.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Finarfin, recently crowned king of the Noldor remaining in Valinor, summons Curufin's wife, because a certain rumour has reached his ears.

Major Characters: Finarfin, Noldor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 513
Posted on 25 February 2017 Updated on 25 February 2017

This fanwork is complete.

An Act of Faith

Read An Act of Faith

Finarfin had sent for her.

She appeared promptly, but seemed unhurried, not flustered nor overly concerned by the summons of her king--if indeed she regarded him as her king, of which he was not quite certain.

Finarfin studied her. On the small side for one of the Noldor, but wiry and, he guessed, stronger than she looked. He did not know her well, owing to the divisions in the House of Finwe. He was not sure whether he had a rebellion on his hands. But perhaps not--for, if so, it seemed a strangely private way to go about it...

'Sire?' said Curufin's wife, prompting him politely, and he realized he had let the silence go on for too long.

'Vardilme,' he began, 'it has been reported to me that you have taken up training with the sword.'

She was waiting for him to go on, it seemed, as if the statement required no comment.

'I do not understand,' said Finarfin. 'After the horror of Alqualonde, even those among us-- those who are now left in Tirion--who were versed in uses of the sword have stopped, dropping all practice of any kind and trying to demonstrate to the rest of Valinor that not all Noldor are quarrelsome, violent and bloodthirsty. You, I had heard, fell out with your husband when he gave your son a sword and began teaching him how to fight. How can it be that you who rejected that weapon even before it was amply demonstrated what damage it could do are now taking it up when the rest of us are leaving off?'

Vardilme seemed to hesitate. Perhaps after all she was not as calm as she had appeared?

'I want to be ready,' she said finally, 'when we go to fetch my son.'

It took Finarfin a moment to process what he had heard.

'Please explain, Vardilme,' he said then. 'What do you mean?'

Surely she realized they could not leave--not any more, now less than ever?

Vardilme took a deep breath.

'One day,' she said, quickly, forcefully, 'the Valar will go to war in Middle-earth against Morgoth. Then I will follow in their train and fetch home my son. I want to make sure I will be a fighter worth taking along--so that they won't deny me--and I will carve my son out with my own hands from among the forces of the enemy if I have to.'

Finarfin was stunned. Had she not heard of the Prophecy of the North?

But then he saw that she had, that perhaps that was precisely the motivation for her preposterous plan: an act of faith that one day, against all odds, the prophecy would be revoked and her skill with the sword would be required.

He looked over her shoulder, unseeing--he was remembering Araman and thinking of his own children--all gone, all swept up and away into the howling storm that was the Flight of the Noldor. 

'Are you ordering me to stop?' asked Vardilme, finally.

'No,' said Finarfin.

And then he asked: 'Will you let me train with you?'


Chapter End Notes

I borrowed the name for Curufinwe's wife from a Numenorean princess mentioned in Unfinished Tales. I thought the princess would not mind sharing.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you very much, Oshun! Glad you enjoyed this bit.

Finarfin does lead the contingent of the Noldor in the War of Wrath and we don't know how long he might have been preparing for that eventuality.

I'm assuming that neither of the two gets any news of what is going on in Middle-earth in the meantime, so when Earendil arrives, it's still going to be a shock for them, despite their attempts to be prepared.

Thank you very much, Lyra!

It seems to me that Finarfin found it really difficult to turn back to Tirion, despite all the strong reasons he had for doing so. He doesn't turn back until after the Prophecy--not earlier. And then, in the War of Wrath, he leads the Noldorin contingent.

I thought he might be receptive to Vardilme's reasoning.

The idea about Vardilme's plans goes back to Huinare's "Sorry, Celebrimbor" challenge. It struck me that one way of making up to Celebrimbor for his canon and fanon sufferings would be if his mother came for him. Of course, things never work out quite that simply...

I love her single mindedness, her determination, and her certainty that she will one day journey across the sea to bring her son home. She is most certainly Feanorian in character.

She seems to have stirred some of these qualities in Finarfin too, that he would offer to train her.