Something Spicy by Ysilme

| | |

Part One


Something Spicy

The halls of the House of the Mírdain lay empty. No wonder, Cambréthil thought, it was already well past the usual working hours, and most people would have gone home by now. Just a few would still be tinkering about in their workshops, like his brother Erestor, who must have again forgotten about the time. This happened so often that Cambréthil had not waited long when Erestor failed to show up for their usual end-of-the-week drink, but had come to collect him instead to drag him away from his newest project.

Surprised at the raised voices coming from his brother’s workshop, Cambréthil halted in front of the door. It sounded as if Erestor had not forgotten about the time after all, at least not today.

“What do you mean, you do not have the money?”

“What do you think you were doing?”

Two different voices, both unfamiliar and clearly unamused. Cambréthil’s first instinct was to hurry to aid his little brother out of yet another fix. Erestor would hardly be grateful, though, since they were now both of age, apprentices in their own right, and well established in the guilds of their respective crafts. But a bit of moral support would certainly not go amiss, so when the shouting stopped for a moment, he rapped at the door and entered.

Three pairs of eyes in various states of upset turned to him, making him wince. Erestor looked somewhat desperate, but Cambréthil could not tell if it was because he was in difficulties or because his brother now knew. Knowing Erestor, it was likely the latter.

“And what might you be wanting here? This is not the town square where everybody can come and go as they please!”

An important-looking elf in the robes of the Mírdain appraised him with raised eyebrows. Cambréthil shrugged, unimpressed by the craftsman’s haughtiness.

“I came to fetch my brother as usual, but I can wait if you still have need of him.”

The Mírdain snorted. “That we have indeed, for a matter of the utmost irregularity has transpired, and we need to --”

“Nothing of the kind has transpired, as you have been told before. This is not a matter of your guild, so will you kindly stop interfering and leave me to conclude my business as I please?” The third person present, a tall, dark-haired elf in outlandish garb and with a surprisingly deep voice, looked with so much disdain at the Mírdain that Cambréthil was immediately taken with him, no matter that he also obviously had strife with his brother.

“On the contrary, prentice Erestor is a member of this guild, so any matter concerning business he transacts is --”

The tall stranger took a step towards the Mírdain and pointed to the door. “Out. Now.”

Cambréthil’s respect for the stranger rose. Who was this, that a member of the mighty Mírdain obeyed him at a word, since the Mírdain in question was now indeed doing as he was told, albeit with much grumbling? Cambréthil was sure he had never seen him before in Ost-in-Edhil, although Erestor obviously knew him well enough to have business with him. Taller than most, with broad shoulders, a strong build and eyes of an intense, clear grey. A Noldo by the looks of it, probably related to the Master Mírdain if he had such authority over a craftsman.

When the door had closed, the stranger turned to Erestor. “Back to our business now that we are again undisturbed. So did I understand you right, you cannot pay me the agreed transport fee for the delivery?”

Erestor shook his head, cheeks flushing. “I am afraid so. You see, there has been a misunderstanding: I was made to believe that the sum already paid covered the whole delivery, not just the cost of the -- the wares.” He darted a quick glance at Cambréthil.

Cambréthil decided it was time to aid Erestor after all. This was not some simple fix, but a matter of business with somebody it was unwise to cross. He stepped up to Erestor’s side.

“Forgive me for intruding, but perhaps I can help. I am Erestor’s brother and apprenticed with the Guild of the Healers, and if there is any sum still needing to be settled, or anything else, I am more than happy to help my brother out.” He refrained from adding that he wondered why Erestor had not come to him with such a problem in the first place, or had made an obviously costly order without telling him about it. It was not as if the brothers had any secrets from each other.

Erestor wrung his hands, his blush deepening. “No, please, Brethi, you must not know what -- I mean, I am well capable of dealing with this myself. It has just been a misunderstanding and I am sure I will be able to settle everything with Master Gildor in a moment.”

“If you have a reasonable suggestion to make, I am willing to hear,” the stranger said.

Master Gildor, Cambréthil corrected himself mentally. So this was the famous kinsman of the Lord Celebrimbor, well known for wandering the width and length of Ennor with his company. How he came to be the deliverer of anything Erestor wanted remained a mystery, though. Master Gildor certainly was no trader or businessman, that much he knew.

“Erestor, what on Arda have you ordered that you cannot pay for it? It must be something truly special if it was delivered by such an illustrious envoy.”

“Oh, just some rare spices from the Harad, but they were to be sent with urgency, or so the missive said,” the illustrious envoy explained, lips twitching in amusement. “This also increased the delivery fee, but I imagine young Erestor here was not aware of this.”

“Spices? Whatever do you want with spices?” Of all the unlikely items Cambréthil could imagine Erestor buying, spices certainly ranged high, and particularly rare and doubtlessly costly ones from the far countries to the South.

Erestor shook his head, visibly mortified, looking from his brother to Gildor and back. “No, I was not, but it is of no consequence, Master Gildor. I deeply regret that I cannot pay the desired sum immediately, but I pledge upon the honour of my guild that your gold will be paid at the earliest possible opportunity, with any interest you deem appropriate. I never intended to cheat you out of anything that is your due.”

Turning to Cambréthil, he continued: “The spices are for you, blockhead! I wanted to give you something special for your first yén. It was no mean feat to order them in the first place, and to have them delivered in time, and I am really grateful to Master Gildor for making this possible. But now everything is for naught as you know already everything and the surprise is gone!”

Erestor looked so distressed that Cambréthil put his arm around him for a quick embrace, not caring what the Noldo might think of it. Gildor, on his part, raised his hands, unable to hide a grin about the brothers' exchange. He was clearly at ease now, all previous anger gone, Cambréthil noticed with relief.

“Easy, easy, I never meant to imply you would cheat me, Erestor!” Gildor said. “I suppose I was unduly enraged earlier, and unfairly so, as you certainly have not given me reason to be. You certainly had the agreed-upon sum ready, and if you were not aware of an additional delivery fee it is no problem to pay it later, with your word as a sufficient pledge. I must admit the presence of that high-and-mighty guild bigwig was what really put me out, as it felt rather insulting that you would be asking a guild member as witness for our transaction, and then have his arrogant self turn on me.”

“But I did not ask him to come!”

“Yes, I know that now. It was clear the moment when he accused you of doing business in the name of the Mírdain.”

Erestor nodded with a sigh. “I seem to have made about every conceivable mistake about that dratted order that could be made,” he said with a wry grimace. “I am very obliged to you for putting him into his place. I should not have asked you to meet me in my workshop, but I wanted to avoid my brother getting any notice of this.”

“That clearly went very well,” Cambréthil said drily. All three looked at each other and broke out in hearty laughter.

“I am sorry to have spoiled the surprise,” Gildor said. “Can I make this up to you two with an ale or two at the tavern? My throat is parched from all this talking, and I am dying with curiosity about what your brother would want with so many spices.”

Cambréthil and Erestor exchanged a glance.

“Gladly, but this is on me,” Cambréthil said. “If I had not come, or not insisted on knowing what is going on, Erestor might have succeeded in keeping his secret after all. Please take this also as our apology that you have to wait for your reimbursement, although I hope Erestor will allow me to disburse the necessary sum now that I know what it is for. Do not worry, I expect repayment of every penny,” he added at Erestor’s glare.

Gildor nodded. “Accepted, although I have a better suggestion. Bringing the spices here caused neither expense nor effort on my part; I do not regularly trade or transport goods, but accept a commission like this one on occasion as a favour to a friend. If you tell me about why a box of exotic spices makes for a fitting first yén present, and I might perhaps see or even sample some of the results, I consider myself amply paid.”

~oOo~

After Erestor had tidied and locked up his workshop, the brothers took Gildor first to their home, to deposit the large wooden box with the fragrant treasure Gildor had brought from the South. Cambréthil kept sniffing and trying to guess the contents, but Erestor remained steadfast, claiming that he wanted to keep at least part of the surprise for the celebration.

“I am still waiting for that explanation,” Gildor said when the three of them wandered towards the tavern.

“My apologies, that was not intentional.” Cambréthil smiled. He was not sure if the Noldo really wanted to know or if he merely found the whole affair entertaining, but it did not matter; Cambréthil always enjoyed talking about his passions. “You might be disappointed, though,” he added, “for my interest serves a very mundane purpose. I like to cook, and am particularly interested in new recipes and ingredients from exotic places.”

Gildor laughed. “Cooking! I expected something much more remarkable. Unusual physics and remedies, perhaps, since you are a healer, or perfumes and beauty products. But cooking!”

“Well, his food can give you a very nice red colour in the face,” Erestor quipped, and Cambréthil gave him a friendly cuff on the shoulder.

“Served you right, since you chose to ignore my warning that the stew was really hot.”

“So you already have experience with chilli pepper?”

“Yes, we cultivate it in the greenhouses at the Physic Garden, for pepper has various medicinal uses. There is usually more than enough for the Houses of Healing, so the surplus is offered to anybody interested. But I am more interested in unusual and foreign flavours and victuals, although many of these are difficult or impossible to be found hereabouts.”

Gildor nodded. “I know. One of the attractions of travelling is the diversity of victuals and dishes everywhere. I have tasted the most fascinating things on my journeys, and some I really miss when I am here in Eriador.”

“Oh, I would love to hear about your travels and all your adventures!”

“Provided they are of a culinary nature,” Erestor remarked dryly, and again, the three of them joined in hearty laughter.

They had arrived at the tavern, and Erestor opened the door, letting out a gust of warm air scented with ale and food, and the cheerful noise of people having a good time. “Hurry up, it is rather full already. I hope there is still room for us.”

Cambréthil led the way inside and to the last free table, a rickety affair right at the door to the kitchen. When their guest and his brother were seated, he asked: “What would you like? Resto, they have your favourite spiced ale.”

Erestor groaned. “Just a plain brown for me, thank you very much. I have had my share of spices for today!”

~oOo~

 


Chapter End Notes

Tolkien tells us in the Laws and Customs Among The Eldar that Elves reach the shape and stature of an adult around their 50th year, while some are fully-grown only around their 100th. I’m happily adopting the fanon notion of equalling the age of 50 or 60 with maturity, but also think that for a people with a more or less infinite lifespan, a period of transition between youth and the full responsibility of an adult seems likely. So does a celebration to mark that date which must be an important one for a young elf. Since Elves are also counting time in long years, or yéni, equalling 144 solar years, I find it logical to chose not their 100th, but 144th begetting day for this occasion. Likewise, I think an apprenticeship is also most likely to take place before or around that age, like it's the case for Cambréthil.

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment