Keeping Up Appearances by Ulan

| | |

Chapter 3: That time (among many) when Erestor had to do his duty (there was not much work involved, really)


"I suppose you are good for him. I mean, if I must lose to anybody, I suppose it is all right that it is you. You are a high scholar, after all, trusted by the king and are of noble blood, so though I complained at first, there really was no contest. It is even fitting, should you two choose to marry."

Erestor sighed at the incessant chatter beside him. On a journey from the Havens and back to Lindon, they have been riding for hours under the Sun. He was developing a headache.

"I mean, we all knew it, of course. He has always favoured you - sitting beside you, looking at you when you enter a room and approaching you soon after, following you where you go. I suppose it could be interpreted as love, but I did not think anything would come of it since... well, it's you, my lord. I mean no offense, but we never thought you would be interested in romance, that's all.

"But everybody has to have somebody, I guess, and even the stern and stubborn ones like Fëanor and Turgon chose to marry, and we know even Thingol was so in love. Perhaps I should just be happy for him. He has never looked happier than he does now, after all. Your relationship is good for him, I can see that. I guess we made him uncomfortable. I saw it a little late - only when I was able to really look at him now and compare to how he was before did I finally see. He blossomed under your care and that is always a wonderful thing for anyone."

Erestor sighed again and delved deeper into his inner well of patience. Really though, where did these people even get their ideas?

"It is just a shame that you would not bear one another sons. It would have been interesting, wouldn't it, my lord, with your mind and his looks, or his valour and your looks - it cannot go wrong, really."

Although perhaps any more of this one and he would not be able to prevent a kinslaying.

"Celegwen!"

Erestor could not help his breath of relief as Glorfindel came riding back to them from his place in the front.

"I thought I told you to stay at the back of the line. What are you doing, talking to the counsellor?" he asked the archer sternly before turning to Erestor. "Erestor, I apologise for this."

"Oh, calm down, Captain. It was a friendly conversation, was it not, Master Erestor?"

"You need not answer that, Erestor."

Well, good, because he truly had no plans of speaking.

He heard Glorfindel sigh. "Back to your position, soldier. We may have a week of travelling ahead of us, but we are on duty at all times until we reach Lindon."

Erestor heard more than saw the exasperated way the young archer obeyed her captain. Moments later and it was just the two of them, he and Glorfindel riding side by side, the nearest member of their company still a few paces away from them, letting them converse privately if they kept their voices low.

"Sorry. Did she give you any trouble?" asked Glorfindel.

"The young ones are always interesting," said Erestor, his first words after what had felt like hours listening to the young elleth. "Perhaps it comes from having been born at a time of peace and knowing only Gil-galad's more liberal manner of ruling. They are bold and have little appreciation for rank, which would have been anathema to those who saw the earlier age."

"You mean they are rude," chuckled Glorfindel beside him.

"Incomprehensibly rude," sighed Erestor. "But again, they are a product of their time, and if this is what peace looks like, then we should just be glad."

Glorfindel did not speak for a while, and when he did his voice was more subdued. "I am working with the other captains to prepare them for harder times. I regret that we have to, but I am afraid that there is a need for it."

Erestor cast a sidelong glance at his companion, and sure enough, Glorfindel had that look about him of one harbouring more serious thoughts. With all the songs and light-heartedness of Lindon, it was easy for many to forget that darkness only ever sleeps. Glorfindel, however, was not among those who could easily forget, and Erestor knew this because Glorfindel told him once the reason for his return. Such things were therefore always in his mind, and the fate of the young ones in his charge weighed heaviest in his heart.

Still, it was a pleasant day, and Erestor always thought that gloom never suited Glorfindel. "Begrudge them not these moments, my friend," he said to him. "I am confident in your skills as a captain, and you told me before these young ones do surprisingly well on the field. There is only so much we can teach them, after all, before life itself opens their eyes in a way we can never do. You and I both know there is no turning back once that is done, for once seen, nothing can ever be unseen, and once known, there is little that we Elves forget.

"I suggest, therefore, that we leave them to their inanities, for ever have such things been the luxury of the young. Besides, their innocent courage can be amusing on a good day. They honestly do not appeal to you? I expect such things can provide excitement and entertainment enough to distract you from the stress of the army."

Glorfindel winced at the suggestion. "That is not even funny. You know fairly well I prefer more peace and less excitement in my free time. I also still find these young ones odd and their behaviours at times not just a little scandalising. But you are right about them, of course, and I know I look at things too heavily at times." It seemed Glorfindel breathed deeply once he had said this, but upon releasing, he at least looked more at ease. He smiled at Erestor. "Speaking of innocent courage, I noticed a few have approached you several times in the past weeks."

Erestor's lips twitched at this. "Worry not. Your fans have been harmless thus far. I find if I stay silent, they like it better, for they do not resign quietly, do they? They can talk themselves for hours. It seems like therapy for them."

Glorfindel looked amused. "Well, whatever it is that you are doing, it is working, for I have not had any other incidents in recent days." He grinned. "It would not have worked had it been anyone else. It seems as if what rank could not deter, fear of your reputation could, and no one would stand against you willingly. They all seemed to give up easily."

"Which you knew, obviously, otherwise I would not find myself in this position, would I?"

"It was not one of my more carefully thought out plans, I admit, but it was definitely one of the most successful ones. What horrors you must have said and done in the past for these people to fear you so, I can only imagine."

Erestor narrowed his eyes at Glorfindel. "You know, Captain, there are better ways to thank somebody than to deliver insulting judgments upon them in the guise of compliments."

"I was not insulting you!" laughed Glorfindel. "I even find it admirable, the easy way with which you can have others bow their heads to you in defeat. Know that I am also reaping the benefits of what reputation you built. Thank you, Erestor."

It was still the poorest compliment ever paid to him, really, but Erestor decided to let it go this time. "You are welcome - still, even if I find you now to be a great inconvenience."

"Now who is insulting whom?"

It was Erestor's turn to chuckle. "The difference, my friend, is I mean to offend. Of course, if you cannot take it, you can always end this 'relationship' you have with me. Feel free to tell people you found me to have too sharp a tongue."

"Ah, but that is different, the topic of tongues. I feel I have not experienced enough of yours to make any definite judgments." Glorfindel winked playfully, which should have looked ridiculous on any other, except with him it... decidedly was not. "And unfortunately for you, my prince, my darling, I am not so easily offended, and though I am sometimes pricked by your thorny hearth, I find it to be the best sanctuary I have found yet. It even warms me on occasion."

Erestor looked at Glorfindel with wry amusement. "You are like that odd fish that made a home out of those things that sting."

"A pest, an odd fish - call me whatever you wish as long as you send me not from your side!" And with such a declaration, loud enough this time for others to hear, Glorfindel leaned over and took Erestor's hand, and kissed it, twice, loudly.

Erestor pulled his hand back and sighed at Glorfindel's antics. The kisses tickled at his skin. "I thought you were still on duty."

This was met with a rakish grin. "Lecture me later on my work ethic, for speaking of duty, I must now return to my post." Glorfindel pulled at his horse's reins, distancing himself finally from Erestor. He led his steed to a faster gallop and he was off to his earlier position at the front, but not without yelling over his shoulder, "Call me when you grow bored, Counsellor!"

Erestor watched him go, his smile bemused. He did not know if Glorfindel was only this way because he meant for such displays to be public in an exaggerated way, or if in a real relationship he would be just as excitable. After all, pretend though this might be, such things must take after something.

Whatever it was, he amused Erestor enough still that he could tolerate the grins he could see others around them attempting to hide. Sometimes he could even say he enjoyed their game, for it had been a while since he had seen such excitement in his life.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment