In the Forest: Night by Lferion

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the January 2021 Resolutions challenge:
The Day 4 prompt is from the Utopia/Dystopia challenge, August 2020. William Blake, excerpts from Songs of Innocence and Experience
The Tyger

On AO3

Many thanks to Morgynleri and Runa for encouragement and sanity checking.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Celegorm, Returned, faces a challenge. A double-drabble.

Major Characters: Celegorm, Oromë, Vána

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges: New Year's Resolution, Utopia/Dystopia

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 203
Posted on 31 January 2021 Updated on 6 February 2021

This fanwork is complete.

In the Forest: Night

Read In the Forest: Night

Celegorm knew Orome was testing him. And Vana. As was their right, and, not unreasonably, their responsibility. He had done stupid, irresponsible, downright cruel and unacceptable things after the Darkening, the Oath not least. Was he the tyger-monstrous, burning still, Morgoth’s creature willing or no? The tyger-wild, lost to law or language, a beast, for whom evil — or good — were irrelevant? Or the tyger-wise, with speech and self-control, capable of mercy, reflection, remorse?

(He was certain his choices were all tygers — no lamb he, nor nightingale, certainly not a child, for all his hands, remade, were tender as a babe’s)

Was it a test of choice or discovery? He would refuse the monster, if it were choice. Mandos had taught him that. He hoped he'd chose the wise, not the wild, despite the draw of the one and the worry-weight of the other. It would not be impossible, this hunt that was asked of him. Had been offered him. A fair chance to demonstrate his heart, the shape of his spirit, what work he had done in the Halls (the Halls' stables). It wasn't a competition, but it was a test, a trial.

Best he get on with it, then.



Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.