My Blood, Your Blood by Robinka

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story was written as a response to the "Breaking-Type" challenge at Open Scrolls Archive. The challenge was to write a story in a different style or to pick up a character we would not usually think of writing about. My aim for this story was to show the hunt of Carcharoth from the point of view of the wolf. When I was assigned the letter W, I thought I might try my hand at writing a story in which I would plunge into the mind of this particular beast -- a crazed wolf, to say the least. However the timeline (the First Age) and the setting (Beleriand, Doriath) were not new to me, I had never tackled Carcharoth, let alone written anything from his point of view. The narrative parts I decided to break with bits of dialogue for balance and to briefly introduce the characters: Beren, Thingol, Mablung and Beleg, that took part in the famous hunt of the wolf.

Secondly, I followed a prompt to write in Polish first, and then to translate the story into English. Again, I had never done any fiction this way, because when I speak or write in English I try to think in this language. This time, I had to write a readable story in Polish, then to find an equivalent in another language, which required rethinking it all over. So instead of one fiction, I came up with two short stories. I know there are a few Poles here, so the Polish version is posted as the second chapter.

My endless thanks go to my friends: Neume for talking me into taking part in the challenge and for her prompts as to how to do it; Eva for reading and commenting on the Polish version; Marie for her never-ending support; PippinIonad for help and beta-reading.

The fiction was based on:

J.R.R. Tolkien, "Beren i Lúthien", [w:] "Silmarillion", translated for Polish edition by Maria Skibniewska.
J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Tale of Tinúviel", [in:] "The Book of Lost Tales", vol. II.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A take on the famous hunt of the wolf, written as a response to the "Breaking-Type" challenge at OSA. It would have been a nice contribution to the challenge "All Good Beasts"... if there had been anyone considering Carcharoth good ;)

Major Characters: Carcharoth, Huan

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Character Death, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 5, 004
Posted on 5 July 2008 Updated on 5 July 2008

This fanwork is complete.

My Blood, Your Blood

Read My Blood, Your Blood

 

"I will go!"

"You, Beren?"

"I have an unfinished business with the Red Maw, Your Majesty."

"Granted. Gentlemen, let us not waste any more time!"

"Your Majesty, this is madness!"

"Neither the first, nor the last one in my life. You may inquire Her Majesty about it, but now please, move yourself out of my way, Saeros!"

~*~

Fresh blood.

It tasted better than ever, sweeter with each lap.

Its first drops had rained down the throat and had flowed along the tongue, when the wolf had clenched his teeth around the wretched victim's neck. But he could not get enough of its dizzying flavor. His fangs went deeper, razing through the delicate tissues underneath the thick skin and tearing them apart as he bucked his head upward. Motionlessly, the wolf sniffed in the gust of the northern wind; no threat he smelled though, so he licked his snout and poked out his tongue, panting.

His trophy was still warm. Only slight tremors passed through the tensing muscles, but the aurochs did not fight - the horns were no deadly weapon any longer; the hooves, covered with grass, had stopped digging in the soil. With one of his paws across the bulky form and the other one tucked underneath him, the wolf smacked his tongue and yawned. He was not hungry. He had not hunted for meat. Sniffing once again, he stood up and slowly stretched forward and backward, exposing his monstrous claws. Then unhurriedly, he proceeded toward the cutting, along the edge of the bushes and trees, with his nose right above the ground.

After a couple of steps, the wolf froze and whined; laying his ears flat on his triangular skull, he raised his head and bared his yellowed fangs. Once more, he felt pain - it was light at first, like a pleasant, prickling feeling in his stomach upon smelling raw meat, but it increased and soon, fire burned inside him, scorching his innards to ashes. The crimson tongue flicked around the black snout, then the beast yawned and sniffed nervously, lowering his head and causing dribble to leak from between his jaws. The torment seemed diminishing, so he sat down and shook his head.

Upon another flash of pain, the wolf fell and began rolling over, whining and rubbing his snout against the grass. When that did not help, he jumped up and trotted several circles growling, while his bristle rose on his back. The pain kept intensifying.

A short, warning growl emanated from the wolf's throat. He snapped his teeth as he attempted to reach his side and the pain that stabbed him mercilessly, but at the same time he swiftly dodged from under his own fangs and tumbled onto the forest bed, wallowing in sheer despair. But he could find no comfort; nothing was going to ease the fire within him. The wolf sat up and raised his head to the sky.

~*~

"Son of a bitch!"

"I could not say that better, Sire."

"To break an aurochs' neck just like that?"

"I mentioned the beast was gigantic, but you hardly believed me, Your Majesty."

"It must be somewhere here. Ready your weapon, Beren. Beleg! Mablung! Flanking positions! I would rather have two spearmen as my advance-guard!"

"Aye!"

~*~

A languishing howl resounded in the forest with a sinister note.

The wolf darted forward blindly. Each leap seemed to swallow the distance between him and the bushes nearby, and bits of the soil sprang from beneath his claws as he rampaged in frenzy. Pain, like a whiplash, flogged him over and over, hastening his maddened gallop. At last, he barreled into the thicket which hindered him.

Crouching in the tangle, the beast listened intently. Cocking his ears, amongst the swish of the water apparently cascading near the bushes that soughed lightly, he recognized the sound that prompted him that someone, or something, was approaching - a still soft, yet undeniable sound of footfalls against the damp grass. This time it was not a lone animal, he decided, looking around hastily and licking his snout, while his front paws stamped. The pain did not let him forget about it though, lashing him, cracking his bones as if it were the heavy hand of his master. The wolf crouched more, yelping and waggling his tail briefly as he recalled the images of a dark hand that held a piece of bloodied meat. The hand meant both generosity and punishment, the wolf lay down and set his head between his outstretched paws, still whining quietly; but the hand could not free him from the pain. He was bereft of his master, and now he could think about only one other source of salvation.

He knew what could possibly bring him, at least momentarily, solace and lessen the madness that raged inside him. It was not the gust of wind he had felt against his snout hurrying across the plains, mountains and valleys with his tongue poured out in morbid thirst. It was not the nobler, sweeter blood of those fair two-legged creatures that he had assailed during his livid venture. He had lapped it eagerly in the false hope that it would erase the suffering, but it had not, and he had howled even more loudly because his innards had seemed to burn more with each gulp. And it was not the dark blood of those clumsy and noisy creatures that had always shrieked from fear nearing him. His master had allowed him to assassinate them at will, the wolf remembered, and his fangs glinted murderously when he bared them.

The water was close, yet someone was intruding in the space between the water and the wolf.

Judging by the sounds that echoed in the twigs and leaves, the enemy was heading straight toward him. He growled menacingly and sniffed again. The alluring fragrances he caught made the spittle wet his mouth and his fur stand up on his back. The wolf lowered his head and stood still.

The wind that only a moment ago had seemed to sleep in the branches brought a new scent. The beast turned his head, and a growl, threatening and icy, grew in his throat, only to be replaced by a yelp of pain. Somewhere in the dark, the voices, muffled yet recognizable to his keen ears, began to whisper, and he could discern them - one of them was demanding, the other, quieter, sounded very familiar. The wolf decided - it was high time for him to make them understand that he was the hunter.

With his head high up to the clouds, he howled sonorously. A vehement and loud barking was an immediate answer. In spite of the pain, he did not fail to notice the threat, its position and an estimated moment to attack; he was no fool, not by anyone's standards. The sound and the scent clearly showed him where and when to get ready. With the muscles in his hind legs quivering rhythmically, the wolf waited.

~*~

"My lord?"

"What is it, Mablung?"

"Carcharoth!"

"Let us hurry then! Where is Huan?"

~*~

A sudden noise beyond the thicket drew the wolf's attention for what seemed only the blink of an eye. It was enough though for the strike to come from whence he did not expect. He sprang aside and counterattacked, thrusting himself forward when his paws had barely touched the ground. He tried to reach the assailant's neck, smacking his teeth in the process, but only a cluster of hair was left in his mouth. The attacker was equally fast, and the force of his defense, when he had whacked the wolf's side with his head, proved that the wolf should not disregard his grandeur. Keeping that in mind, he turned back and wanted to advance, growling in pure hate, but the invader retreated.

In deft pursuit, the wolf jumped out of the bushes, straight onto a shadowy glade on the bank of a river. He stopped and cast a quick look around. Slowly backing in the direction of the bank in need to secure his rear, he emitted a short howl, half provoking, half painful, and the aggressor disappeared.

Exhausted by the pain and thirsty beyond tolerance, the wolf paid no attention to the fugitive that had lured him out of the fairly safe thicket. Setting his nose against the soft blow of wind, he looked at the river, then behind him, and once again at the river, as if uncertain as to what to do next. After another moment, he was drinking, eagerly, greedily, almost with his whole being so as to kill the burning pain within him. Then, he raised his head, flicking his ears, and his eyes became locked on a blurry silhouette that darkened in the distance. With a feral growl as his response, the wolf slowly turned still fixing his sight at the newcomer that, he knew, would not leave this glade alive, unlike his previous prey. Step by step, he moved forward with his head lowered and his watery saliva trickling onto the grass.

The figure shouted in anger, and the sound stung the wolf's ears with an insulting tone, which challenged him in an instant. He broke into a run to reach the victim in the next moment, and the growl was growing in his chest. All he could focus on now was the prey, human judging by the smell, and the thought of tearing its flesh to pieces. Uplifted by the instinct of a hunter and by the relief after the pain had gone away, he bounced forward with his paws stretched out and his fangs bared in menace.

But he did not achieve his goal. Something tumbled into him from the side, stole his entire impact by wounding him and blocking his way. The wolf understood now that this creature was the owner of that human scent he had smelled, the scent by all means known to him. Once he landed, his legs immediately sent him forward and his fangs and claws aimed precisely at the human's chest. The wolf's teeth clenched powerfully, his weight and speed knocking down the man at the same time, and he felt a spring of blood on his tongue. Spurred by its taste, he put more force into his attack until he heard a creak of the bones underneath his teeth. Rocking his head up, he decided that this one had enough for the time being, and he released the victim to prepare his next charge. He bounced off stepping on the fallen body, when an unparagoned force swept him away, colliding with him so that he collapsed onto the bank, growling through his teeth set on the fur of the attacker. Both of them rolled several times, wrestling in a deadly clasp.

Desperately seeking some support, the wolf raised himself pulling the hound along with him. Then, he rose to his hind paws and furiously jerked his head from side to side. His fangs, stuck in the hound's neck, clenched more forcefully. The wolf tasted blood on his tongue; his grip grew stronger, then he let his teeth cut through the muscles he had reached. The dog pulled back with a horrifying whine. The wolf felt no teeth in his back, so he yanked at the hound's fur once again, and then he moved forward, pushing the dog onto the ground. Towering above him, he once again reached the exposed throat, even though the dog fought back fiercely. The wolf pushed him further, almost embossing him into the soil, and pressed him with his body. He knew that the dog's claws were not dangerous to his sides and underbelly, but somehow he seemed to disregard the power of the other animal's legs.

The writhing hound managed to duck away from the sharp fangs; he pulled his hind paws under the wolf's form and kicked upward, pushing the wolf away from him in one violent move. The wolf lost his grip, tumbling down, but he instantly rose and was ready to attack again. The hound jumped aside and bared his teeth. Bloodied foam covered the battlefield.

~*~

"Beleg!!! Mablung!!!"

~*~

Eyeing the dog cautiously, the wolf estimated his chances and capabilities. He knew that his enemy had no fear of him. He could not smell it, though he for certain could smell wrath and hate. The dog began slowly moving, carefully taking his steps, in a circle around the wolf. He was trying to provoke him, growling quietly and a clear challenge could be heard in the sound; the challenge to attack first, but the wolf waited, though his patience was rapidly growing thin. The hound made another circle, and one more, flashing his eyes, in which white mingled with red. And with anger. The wolf's muscles tensed as his spine bowed a little, but he still kept himself in firm check. He did not let himself foolishly respond to the hound's provocation. In the background, he heard the wheezing that emanated from the fallen man and he knew that he would finish the business with that one later. Once the dog was in front of him again, the wolf straightened up and cast a look over the dog's back. His enemy froze, and then flung himself forward.

That was what the wolf was waiting for. He threw himself against the hound, turning slightly, and bashed the attacking dog's chest with his shoulder. Rising on his hind paws, he bit his enemy's neck and stilled him in place. His triumph was close, within the reach of his paws. But when his fangs ground on the dog's bones, a sudden, wild flash of pain surged through him. He realized it was not his enemy that had hit him; it was that almost forgotten fire that reminded him now of its existence in a most vicious, unbidden way. Having felt the torture coming back, the wolf had released the victim and howled mortified. Too late he corrected his actions. It was enough though for the hound to strike back, perfidiously, in a downward bite straight through the wolf's throat. Knocking the wolf down, the dog tightened his jaws, and then he tore his flesh in one powerful movement. The wolf saw him fall down and near his head to his own snout, exhausted beyond recognition, but alert and ready to hit once again. Suffering overwhelmed him.

He was dying. His misted eyes would not allow him to see clearly. He heard grunting noises, and he realized in panic that it was his torn throat that caused them as he tried to breathe. He knew that the victorious hound would not let him be; he would be watched until he drew his last breath. Still he attempted to move his head up despite the pain that coursed through him. Out of the corner of his eye, he caught two figures approaching in haste, and another one that crouched over the fallen man - the human he had slaughtered. The wolf raised his snout more and tried to make a sound, but he could not. The hound's growl answered him, so he locked his eyesight on his killer's head as he regained his focus. The dog stopped growling and watched him.

His terminal, hopeless effort was to sink his fangs into the hound's snout, but it was going to waste. The dog turned his head away and bit back with lethal precision.

~*~

"Is he alive?"

"Yes, Sire. But he will not last long."

"And the hound?"

"Breathing, but badly wounded."

"Victory... but at what expense? His mortal blood traded for..."

"...yours, Your Majesty?"

"Yes, Mablung. There is, in the whole world, no crueler price than this."


Chapter End Notes

The aurochs or urus [Latin: Bos primigenius] was a very large type of cattle that was prevalent in Europe until its extinction in 1627. The animal's original scientific name was meant as a Latin translation of the German term Auerochse or Urochs. Aurochs were about 1,75 meters high at the withers. Aurochs also had several features rarely seen in modern cattle, such as lyre-shaped horns set at a forward angle, a pale stripe down the spine, and sexual dimorphism of coat color. Males were black; females and calves were reddish. Aurochs were also known to have very aggressive temperaments and killing one was seen as a great act of courage in ancient cultures. The mention of an aurochs' appearance in the story is my licentia poetica. Since the last one of this kind was killed in the XVII century in Poland, I thought the species might have as well inhabited the ancient woods such as Doriath in Beleriand.

Krew elfów

Read Krew elfów

 

- Ja pójdę!

- Ty, Berenie?

- Mam na pieńku z Czerwoną Paszczą, miłościwy panie.

- Dobrze więc. Nie traćmy czasu. Dalejże, na koń, moi panowie!

- Wasza królewska mość, toż to szaleństwo!

- Nie pierwsze i nie ostatnie w moim życiu. Zapytaj Jejmość i nie wstrzymuj mnie dłużej, Saerosie.

~*~

Świeża krew. Smakowała lepiej niż zwykle, słodsza z każdym chłapnięciem. Pierwsze krople trysnęły w głąb gardła i spłynęły po języku, gdy wilk zacisnął szczęki na szyi ofiary. Ale było mu mało. Kły wbiły się głębiej, rozdzierając delikatne tkanki pod grubym płaszczem skóry, szarpiąc, kiedy gwałtownie podniósł łeb, zastygając bez ruchu i wciągając w nozdrza powiew północnego wiatru. Oblizał pysk i wywalił purpurowy jęzor, sapiąc.

Ofiara była ciepła jeszcze, choć już nie ruszała się. Nie walczyła i nie biła kopytami. Z łapą w poprzek ciała, a drugą podwiniętą pod siebie wilk kłapnął zębami, ziewając i jeszcze raz oblizując mordę. Nie był głodny. Nie polował dla mięsa. Wietrząc znów, wstał powoli i przeciągnął się, orząc pazurami trawę. Z wolna ruszył w stronę przecinki, tuż pod linią drzew, z nosem przy ziemi.

Kilka kroków dalej wilk przystanął i zaskomlił. Położywszy uszy po sobie, podniósł wysoko łeb i obnażył kły. Znów poczuł ból. Lekki z początku, jak przyjemne łaskotanie na widok mięsa, potem piekący żywym ogniem. Wilk ziewnął i nerwowo oblizał pysk. Ślina wyciekła strużką spomiędzy zębów, kiedy zwiesił głowę i węszył. Znów zaczęło palić mu wnętrzności. Wilk przysiadł i potrząsnął głową. Wstał, potruchtał kilka razy w kółko, jeżąc sierść na karku. Ból narastał.

Wilk warknął krótko, ostrzegawczo i kłapnął paszczą w bok, próbując dosięgnąć bólu, który teraz szarpał nienawistnie jego trzewia. Uskoczył jednak przed własnymi zębami, usiadł i wzniósł ku niebu ciężki łeb.

~*~

- Sukinsyn!

- Lepiej bym tego nie określił.

- Przetrącić turowi kark ot tak...?

- Mówiłem, że bestia jest wielka, to nie dawaliście wiary, miłościwy królu.

- Trzymać broń w pogotowiu, panowie.

- Musi być gdzieś blisko...

- Belegu, idźcie z Mablungiem przodem. Wolę mieć parę włóczni na szpicy.

- Rozkaz, wasza wysokość!

~*~

Wycie rozbrzmiewało po kniei złowrogą nutą.

Wilk rzucił się przed siebie, na oślep sadząc długimi susami. Pazury darły ziemię z wściekłością. Pragnienie zdławienia bólu, co jak pejcz smagał go raz po raz, sprawiło, że wilk wyciągnął się w pędzie. W końcu wpadł w gęstwinę krzaków.

Usiadł i nasłuchiwał. Wśród szmeru liści i szumu wody wyłowił miękki odgłos, który podpowiedział mu, że coś się zbliżało. Lekkie stąpanie i ciche mlaśnięcia wilgotnej trawy wskazywały, że tym razem, ktokolwiek nadchodził, było ich więcej niż tylko samotny tur, ale wilk tylko się oblizał, przestępując z nogi na nogę. Ból nie pozwalał ani na chwilę o sobie zapomnieć, siekąc bezlitośnie i miażdżąc mu kości jak ciężka dłoń jego pana. Skulił się i nerwowo machnął ogonem, skamląc. Jego pamięć przywołała obraz dłoni, w której tkwił kawał ociekającego krwią mięsa. Wilk przypadł do ziemi.

Wiedział, co, przynajmniej na moment, jest w stanie uśmierzyć szaleństwo palące go od środka. Nie pęd powietrza, gdy gnał z całych sił z wywalonym ozorem, przed siebie, byle dalej od bólu rwącego mu wnętrzności. Ani szlachetna ludzka i elfia krew, którą chłeptał zawzięcie, skowycząc, a ogień zdawał się podchodzić mu do gardła. Ani brunatna, mazista posoka tych krępych, hałaśliwych istot, które jego pan pozwalał mu zabijać do woli. Rzeka była blisko. Wilk uniósł wysoko wargi i mlasnął językiem. Ale pomiędzy niego a ożywczą, zbawienną wodę ktoś właśnie próbował wtargnąć.

Sądząc po dźwiękach, których echo wśród cichych gałęzi rozróżniały jego uszy, wróg szedł wprost na niego. Warknąwszy, wilk wciągnął powietrze. Nęcące zapachy natychmiast spowodowały, że ślina napłynęła mu do pyska. Sierść stanęła na grzebiecie. Wilk zniżył łeb i skoczył do przodu.

Wiatr, który jeszcze przed chwilką drzemał wśród liści, przyniósł inną woń. Wilk obrócił głowę. Warkot stężał w jego gardle, zdławiony przez skamlenie. Gdzieś w ciemności głosy, przyduszone, a jednak czytelne dla czujnych uszu, odezwały się ponownie, a on rozróżnił szczególnie dwa - nieznoszący sprzeciwu oraz cichszy, ale stanowczy i znajomy głos. Wilk usiadł. Wzniósł łeb i zawył donośnie. Odpowiedziało mu gwałtowne ujadanie.

Nie dał się jednak ubiec zagrożeniu, które czaiło się w gęstwinie. Dźwięk i zapach wskazały moment i miejsce ataku. Wilk przyczaił się w gotowości, warczenie umilkło. Tylko tylne łapy drżały rytmicznie, a w napiętych mięśniach rosła siła, która miała eksplodować w natarciu. Wilk czekał.

~*~

- Panie!

- Cóż tam, Mablungu?

- Carcharoth!

- Nie zwlekajmy zatem. Gdzie Huan?

~*~

Nagły hałas rozległ się wśród drzew, a położone uszy podniosły się na mgnienie oka. Wystarczyło to jednak, aby nastąpił atak z gęstwy liści i gałęzi, skąd wilk się nie spodziewał napaści. Uskoczył jednak w bok i zaatakował niemal od razu, odbijając się z prawie wyprostowanych łap. Kłapiąc chciwie zębami, próbował dosięgnąć szyi przeciwnika, który dorównywał mu wielkością. Ale tylko kłaki wyrwanej sierści zostały mu w pysku, kiedy wylądował na ziemi i natychmiast odwrócił się, gotów ponownie zaatakować. Napastnik zrejterował. Wilk skoczył za nim i w kilku susach wypadł na polankę, tuż nad brzegiem bystrej wody. Przystanął i powiódł wzrokiem wokół, cofając się w kierunku wody na przykurczonych łapach. Mając tak zabezpieczony tył, wilk wydał z siebie krótkie, ostrzegawcze wycie, na wpół bolesne, na wpół wyzywające. Agresor jednak znikł.

Trawiony bólem, zwierz dał za wygraną. Łapiąc w nozdrza wiatr, skierował wzrok w stronę rzeki. Po chwili, uśpiwszy nieco czujność, pił zawzięcie, chcąc przynajmniej trochę stłumić płomień wciąż zjadający go od środka. Wtem zastrzygł uszami i podniósł łeb. Przekrwione oczy wbiły się w ciemniejącą w oddali sylwetkę, a pomruk wydobył się z jego gardła. Tym razem agresor nie ujdzie stąd żywy. Warcząc, wilk wyciągnął szyję i wyszczerzył kły. Powoli ruszył do przodu. Z pyska kapała ślina.

Postać zakrzyknęła coś gniewnie, a odgłos zazgrzytał w uszach wilka obelżywą nutą, która podziałała na niego natychmiast jak wyzwanie. Przyspieszył kroku i spiął się do biegu, aby w okamgnieniu dopaść i rozszarpać to marne stworzenie na strzępy. Z głuchym charkotem wilk odbił się do skoku i wyciągnął w przód łapy, ale nie osiągnął celu. Coś stanęło na jego drodze, raniąc go i niemal pozbawiając impetu. Wilk wylądował na ziemi i odbił się ponownie, precyzyjnie mierząc w pierś przeciwnika. Jego szczęki chwyciły zdobycz i zacisnęły się mocarnie, aż trzask dobiegł spomiędzy nich, a wilk poczuł woń i smak krwi na języku. Szarpnął łbem mocniej, obalając napastnika i gotując się do następnego błyskawicznego ataku. Kiedy tylko łapy sięgnęły trawy, wilk jak sprężyna odbił się, depcząc po powalonym ciele. Wtem niesłychana siła odepchnęła to, zmieniając tor lotu w półobrót. Wilk wydał z siebie krótkie, przeraźliwe warknięcie i potoczył się po ziemi, zwarty w śmiertelnym uścisku z wielkim psem.

Desperacko szukając oparcia dla łap, żeby pozyskać jeszcze trochę siły, wilk poderwał przód ciała, kuląc tylne nogi pod siebie. Kły, zatopione w karku psa, zagłębiały się, a on poczuł fontannę krwi w paszczy. Jeszcze odrobinę, jeszcze mocniej i pies puścił skórę na boku wilka, skowycząc z bólu. Wilk przeorał zębami mięśnie i rozluźnił chwyt, wspinając się jednocześnie na tylne łapy i padając do przodu, instynktownie przygniatając psa pod sobą. Wiedział, że pazury jego przeciwnika nie są groźne dla jego boków i podbrzusza. Ale nie docenił siły muskularnych łap.

Pies zwinął się i szarpnął do góry. Zepchnięty wilk wypuścił zdobycz, ale natychmiast poderwał się na nogi i runął na psa, by sięgnąć zębami jego gardła. Sierść i trawa pokryły się krwistą pianą. Pies odskoczył i tuląc uszy, obnażył potężne kły.

~*~

- Belegu! Mablungu! Do mnie!

~*~

Wilk mierzył psa wzrokiem dłuższą chwilę, podczas której szacował szanse powodzenia ataku. Czuł, że przeciwnik nie bał się. W jego woni nie było strachu, tylko nienawiść. Pies ruszył, ostrożnie stawiając łapy, dokoła wilka, warcząc, chcąc sprowokować go do natarcia. Wilk nie poruszył się. Pies zatoczył koło. W przekrwionych ślepiach błyskała wściekłość. Mięśnie wilka grały. Był gotów, ale powstrzymywał się. W tle słyszał rzężenie rannego człowieka. Na niego przyjdzie czas później, teraz, wilk schylił łeb, odmierzając odległość skoku, policzy się z psem. Jego grzbiet wygiął się, tylne łapy drobiły kroczki w miejscu. Pies stanął. I skoczył wilkowi do gardła.

Na to wilk czekał. Odbił się z tylnych łap i wypruł płasko do przodu, uchylając głowę, i walnął psa barkiem w klatkę piersiową. Wspiął się na tylne łapy i sięgnął zębami karku przeciwnika. Pies zaskowyczał. Wijąc się pod ciałem wilka, próbował wyrwać się z żelaznego uścisku jego szczęk. Wilk triumfował. Jego kły zgrzytnęły o kości psa, gdy nagle ból przeszył jego ciało. Zdał sobie sprawę, że to nie jego adwersarz go ranił, ale ta znienawidzona siła, która wydawała się być uśpiona, uderzyła znów. Za późno jednak wilk skorygował swoje działanie. Poczuwszy falę bólu, puścił zdobycz i zawył rozpaczliwie. Tyle tylko potrzebne było psu, aby uderzyć, podstępnie, z dołu, wprost w gardło wilka. Obaliwszy go na ziemię, pies zacisnął szczęki, po czym rozerwał gardło wilka jednym potężnym ugryzieniem. Padł obok swojej ofiary i zbliżył pysk do jego głowy, wciąż w pogotowiu. Krew lała się strumieniami z jego ran.

Wilk konał. Oczy zaszły mgłą, charkot dobywał się z rozoranego gardła, kiedy w panice próbował łapać oddech. Czuł, że pies nie zostawi go w spokoju, dopóki dychał. Kątem oka dostrzegł dwie nadbiegające postaci i trzecią, pochylającą się nad ciałem człowieka, którego zabił. Pies warknął ostrzegawczo, gdy wilk poruszył łapą.

Ostatnim, rozpaczliwym wysiłkiem wilka była próba wbicia zębów w mordę psa. Ten jednak prędko odsunął się i uderzył, precyzyjnie, szybko, śmiertelnie. Ciemna posoka trysnęła z rany. Wilk zesztywniał.

~*~

- Żyje?

- Jeszcze dycha, panie, ale źle z nim.

- A pies?

- Ranny.

- Nie wytoczył krwi elfów, psubrat.

- Nie, wasza królewska mość, ale ta śmiertelna krew...

- Nie masz okrutniejszej ceny. Wiele bym oddał, by nie musieć jej płacić.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


What a gripping story you have written, Robinka!  You successfully inhabited the mind of Carcharoth.  In doing so, you created a fearsome creature yet a vulnerable one, too.  Carcharoth's pain and subsequent frenzy are readily apparent.   You describe the fight between Carcharoth and Huan vividly - you write action so well.   And as horrific as Carcharoth might be and with all the devastation that the animal caused at his master's behest, I have to say I kind of feel badly for the creature in that he would have had a happier and less eventful life out hunting aurochs* in the eastern steppes of Middle-earth than as Morgoth's lupine slave.  That your story elicted this flicker of sympathy speaks to your ability to "see" the tale from the wolf's perspective.  Well done!

*I love, love, love the detail of the auroch!  Tolkien had an interest in paleontology, and his "kine of Araw" surely sound like they were aurochs.  It makes eminent sense to me that some fauna from the Pleistocene would still exist in the First Age. 

Wow! Thank you so very much for the review :D

I have to say that this story gave me a headache, because I wrote in Polish first and I struggled then with the translation. It wouldn't have been as tough if I'd written just in English, but the challenge meant the challenge ;)

Oh, and the aurochs -- I wondered what animal might be a challenge for Carcharoth and I thought that it should be one mightier that an European buffalo. I'm so glad that my idea worked. :D

Thank you tons! 

Tak sobie pomyślałam, że będzie miło jeśli ktoś zostawi recenzję w języku polskim, więc postanowiłam, że tym "kimś" będę ja. :)

Bardzo dobrze napisana historia! Ciężko jest napisać coś z punktu widzenia zwierzaka (choćby nie wiem jak bardzo była to interesująca postać) na tyle znaków i na takim poziomie. Przyczyna jest prosta - ludzie nie "czują" tak jak zwierzęta. Hmm, no może czasami.... ;) Ale nie odbiegając od tematu, chcę powiedzieć, że genialnie oddałaś charakter tego polowania. Posłużyłaś się instynktami wilka i na potrzeby tej historii wyciągnęłaś z niego to, co najlepsze. To, że go ścigają, nie oznacza, że jest ofiarą. ;) Wstawienie rozmów "istot dwunożnych" sprawiło, że całość jest jeszcze bardziej interesująca i "żyje". :) A teraz przejdźmy do wersji angielskiej... pod wersją angielską. :)))

Dzięki serdeczne za przeczytanie i za komentarz. :) No, było z tym opowiadaniem trochę problemów, poza tym chyba jednak wolę pisać po angielsku. Jakoś lepiej brzmi ;) Chociaż po polsku też nieźle, ale to nie jest to jednak. Chyba się odzwyczaiłam ;) za te wszystkie lata. Ale przejdźmy do wersji angielskiej...

Dzięki raz jeszcze :D

As I said under the Polish version - the story is brilliant! Firstly, a few words about translation - it's really good. I'm giving you my bow to this part of your work. I know how difficult it was, because it required a change of thinking. Great job! Both versions are wonderful, but I think that the English version is the one that I like more. Maybe it's because of the fact that for me all Tolkien stories sounds better in English than in Polish, though it is my native language. ;) Yeah, I know it's weird.

Secondly, something about the wolf - I know he was a bad, bad animal ;), but as long as I was reading your story there were some moments that I felt sorry for him. This never-ending pain that was growing inside him was cruel. After all, he was an animal, a wolf. And I like wolves very much. ;)

Thank you for the story. I enjoyed reading it!

 

Again, thanks a million for reading and reviewing :) I appreciate your kind words very much. I too, at some point, felt sorry for Carcharoth, and I wanted to show that he was meant to be cruel and an ultimate baddie, he was still an animal, with no say upon the ways in which he'd been bred and trained. I'm glad that my idea somehow worked.

Thank you once again! You made my day. 

I know I reviewed this elsewhere, but still the re-read is fabulous! I don't think its easy to crawl under the skin of such a beast and yet, as you write, make me as a reader still feel sympathy for him. The fight with Huan is just... wow and just to think that you wrote it in Polish first, then in English: deepest respect here. Well done, what a ride (again!).