The Redemption of the Noldor by Cirdan

| | |

Prologue


If you were to read about the Fall of the Noldor, Noldolante, you would understand the history of the Noldor. You would know about the theft of the Silmarils, the Flight of the Noldor, and the actual Fall, the Kinslaying at Alqualonde. But unless you heard the song from a Noldorin minstrel, you would not truly understand the Fall. Maglor's song was eventually passed throughout Beleriand after the truth of the matter had already become well-known fact. The Sindarin minstrels heard it and repeated it, but they never repeated it correctly. It's the same problem that arises in reading the Fall in Feanorian script instead of hearing it in person. The most important things in life are never blatantly overstated, and in song, they can only be heard in the voice of a true virtuoso who fully understands the situation.

The Fall of the Noldor was, above all, about love and the rejection of love.

The Noldor, indeed, all the Eldar, were invited to Aman because of the love that the Valar bore for us. The Noldor came freely to Aman. Thus, they were free to leave, though the Valar judged leaving to be folly. But by leaving, the Noldor rejected the love of the Valar, and, in doing so, they rejected help from the Valar in the War against Morgoth. Thus, the Kinslaying at Alqualonde was not just about the slaying of Elf by Elf. Many of the Noldor quickly understood kinslaying to be cruel, unjust, and evil. Many regretted the act, but even that was not enough, for the most serious grievance of the Kinslaying was the breech of love between kin. The Fall of the Noldor was the Failure of Love, and those who do not understand this do not understand the gravity of the Fall. Maglor knew the Noldolante was about the Gravity of Love, but he was too deeply hurt to admit it aloud, for his love, though true of heart, had led to the Oath of Feanor with deadly consequences. If you heard him sing, though, you would hear his lament and understand the cause of the Fall. But understanding alone does not redeem a Noldo. In the tales of the Noldor upon Middle Earth, little is said of the few Noldor who rose above the Fall. But in Aman, more is said of the Redemption of the Noldor.

Finrod Felagund, most beloved of the Noldorin Princes, was the first Elf slain in Middle Earth to be released from the Halls of Mandos. His tale is told in the song "The Redemption of the Noldor," composed by the minstrel Cirdan, who is better known for his ship building, but here Finrod's tale is told without song and in fewer words.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment