The Redemption of the Noldor by Cirdan

| | |

Chapter 4


Cirdan entered the room of his guest. They had not returned long, but Cirdan could not help but to awaken with the rising of the sun regardless of the amount of sleep that he'd had the night before. Finrod was still asleep. His face was smooth and restful for the first time. Previously, Cirdan had checked on his guest only to find Finrod's slumber haunted by nightmares. Now, Finrod's fair face was calm, and his golden hair cast a halo of light on his skin. Cirdan felt his heart uplifted to see that the young prince had at last found some measure of peace. Cirdan quietly left the room to allow Finrod a few more hours of sleep.

Later, when Finrod awoke, they sat together for breakfast. The Noldor did not each much seafood, but Finrod was also of the Teleri, and he did not abhor fish and shellfish like most of the Noldor. Cirdan remembered with some embarrassment Turgon's first visit to the Havens, when Cirdan had first discovered that there were some who found the smell and taste of fish repelling. Of course, Cirdan had immediately sent out his people to find more suitable food for their honored guests. After breakfast, Cirdan led Finrod out toward the harbors.

"Today we have been touched by fortune," Cirdan said. "We have finished surveying the progress of the rebuilding of Brithombar and will now return to Eglarest, but our journey to Eglarest will be aided by my friend, who arrived early this morning." Finrod looked at Cirdan with curiosity but did not inquire further. Cirdan was pleased that Finrod waited for the surprise to unfold. Cirdan led them past the harbors of the ships to a cove, where the waters of the Sea were shallower. They took off their shoes and walked barefooted upon the fine grain sand. Cirdan noted Finrod's delight in walking on the beach under the bright sun. They sat on the beach and watched the gentle waves of the Sea wash up onto the sands and then recede.

"If I stay much longer, I will never leave," Finrod said. "The Sea- longing is in my blood as well, and its awakening would be my undoing."

Cirdan laughed. "You jest. You are still young, my Prince. I can sense your desire to travel throughout Beleriand and explore the lands of your new home. The Sea will not hold you."

Finrod smiled. "You're good at knowing my mind. It's odd. In Valinor, I did not explore the lands like Feanor and his sons. But here, I want to see as much of Middle Earth as possible and to know its people. Perhaps Feanor's words in Tirion moved me more than I realized. I love these wide lands and, without the Valar's rule here, I feel more responsible for the protection of these lands and its people. Before, I did not think that I wished to rule, but being thrust in the role, I find that I enjoy it."

"You enjoy it because you have a kind heart and wish to help others. Do not mistake that for a desire to control the will and lives of others. Your people follow you because you are wise and because they love you."

"As always, you praise me too much."

Cirdan shook his head. "Not at all, my Lord. I only speak the truth. For all your wisdom, you seem to be unable to see the truth about yourself." Cirdan had also noticed that Finrod's judgment was most askew in matters of love: the love between him and Amarie, the love he felt for Middle Earth and its people, and the love that his Noldorin and Sindarin followers bore for him. Cirdan did not voice his concerns aloud. He didn't know how the Noldor would redeem their Fall without learning to love and be loved. But this was too grave a matter to be easily resolved, and Cirdan knew that the lessons of love would take time to learn.

"You spoke earlier about unexpected fortune," Finrod prompted.

"Ah yes. I suppose we should be going." Cirdan took out a horn wrought of white shell. He blew on it twice then waited. A great white swan swam into the shallow waters of the cove. "Greetings, my friend. This is Prince Finrod of the House of Finarfin, of whom I had spoken earlier." The swan bowed its long graceful neck to Finrod. Finrod, who was still gaping at the great seabird, inclined his head to the swan.

"I have never seen such a large seabird," Finrod said. He looked with admiration at the beautiful white plumage of the swan. "Surely only the Eagles of Manwe are mightier than the Swans of Ulmo."

"Nimalph was gifted to me by Lord Osse many years ago," Cirdan said, "but birds are meant to be free, not kept like horses and dogs, so Nimalph and I simply remain in friendship. He is one of the great swans that drew the ships of the Teleri from Tol Eressea to the shores of Eldamar. His home is the Isle of Balar in the southern waters, but ever and anon, he will visit me in the Falas or I will visit him on Balar. Today, he has agreed to draw our ship to Eglarest and will thus speed our journey all the more. I believe you will enjoy the novel experience."

"I look forward eagerly to our voyage." Finrod's eyes sparkled like those of a boy. Cirdan laughed. As always, Finrod's youthful vigor filled Cirdan with pleasure. Nimalph trumpeted. The swan was joining in Cirdan's mirth, but there was a tone in the swan's trumpeting that Cirdan did not wholly understand.

Cirdan led Finrod to a small white ship resting on the beach away from the ever-shifting waves. They lifted the light craft together and brought it to the waters. Cirdan knotted one end of a rope to the prow of the ship and handed the other end to Nimalph. The great swan led their ship over the waters of the Sea. Cirdan, knowing that his ship was being safely guided, was able to enjoy the smooth voyage over the sunlit waters. Cirdan believed that even a journey on the waters near Aman could not have been as perfect as this short trip from Brithombar to Eglarest with Finrod the Golden as his companion.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment