The Redemption of the Noldor by Cirdan

| | |

Chapter 7


When Nargothrond was full-wrought, Finrod invited his siblings to feast. Galadriel came from Doriath and stayed in Nargothrond for a while. She told Finrod about her love for Celeborn, kinsman to Thingol, and the great joy that they shared in the woods of Doriath. After she'd spoken about Celeborn several times, one time Galadriel asked Finrod why he had no wife and heir, as would've been appropriate for the King of Nargothrond. Finrod's love for Amarie had been too early in bloom before the Noldor's departure from Aman, so Finrod had never spoken of his love for Amarie to his siblings.

Foresight came to Finrod as she spoke, and he said, "An oath I too shall swear, and must be free to fulfill it, and go into darkness. Nor shall anything of my realm endure that a son should inherit."

Before that moment, Finrod had never thought such dark thoughts. He remembered the words that Cirdan had spoken when Finrod had asked about the building of a hidden kingdom. In the waters of the Sea, Cirdan had warned that Finrod's fate was tied to the sons of Feanor, and like them, he would swear an oath that would drive him and betray him to his death.

Then Finrod remembered Cirdan's final words in that matter: "Be careful for my sake as well as your own. If anything should happen to you, I will be slain from grief." Finrod had thought that Cirdan was exaggerating, but that had been before Finrod had learned of Cirdan's love for him. Finrod's love for Amarie felt distant while Cirdan's love felt present and strong, freeing and unceasing.

Then Finrod wondered about his love for Amarie. Who was he to hold her back from seeking another's love? Though the days of the Long Peace seemed reminiscent of the Blessed Realm, Finrod knew that he would not soon be returning to Aman, for although the Siege held Morgoth in check, the Elves could not break Angband. If Amarie married another, he told himself he wouldn't begrudge their happiness.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment