The Redemption of the Noldor by Cirdan

| | |

Chapter 9


The oath that Finrod had sworn to Barahir in the Dagor Bragollach took an unexpected form. Beren, son of Barahir, came to Nargothrond with the twin serpent ring of the House of Finarfin, and instead of aid in war, he asked for aid in love. The one he loved was Luthien, the precious daughter of Thingol, and for her hand, Thingol demanded a Silmaril in return. It was utter folly to attempt to win a Silmaril, but Beren's love drove him, and Finrod would not deny the son of Barahir, though he knew that this was the Doom of which he'd spoken to Galadriel many years ago. Of his country of Nargothrond, only ten came forth with him on this perilous quest. Perhaps it wouldn't have mattered if they'd had 10,000 instead of ten for the Curse of Mandos was in motion. Finrod and his companions had been caught and imprisoned in what had once been the fair tower of Minas Tirith upon Tol Sirion but was now Tol-in-Gaurhoth, the Isle of Werewolves.

If only I had not faltered in my song, Finrod thought in the gloom of the dungeons. One by one, his companions were eaten by werewolves. They were chained close enough to hear their companion's cries but not close enough to aid in combat against the mighty werewolves of Sauron. Finrod never doubted his decision to go forth and assist Beren on his quest. But Sauron had defeated Finrod with his dark song about the Kinslaying at Alqualonde. Though Finrod had spoken with Cirdan about it many times, before the forces of evil, he could not wholly forgive himself because he knew that the Teleri did not yet forgive the Noldor.

Yet Cirdan, kin to Olwe and Telerin in blood and heart, has forgiven me, Finrod thought to himself. I do not have the strength to defeat Sauron, but perhaps I can save Beren so that he may go on and find the fulfillment of his love. For it seemed to Finrod that the greatest sorrow was to not discover the mutual joy of love. Edrahil was slain. Alone, he and Beren remained. Finrod did not focus on the last time he'd seen Cirdan, so many years ago after Beor had passed away. Instead, Finrod remembered their starlit night on the Cape of Balar, when he'd first learned to love Cirdan. Such joy in companionship should've been Beren's as well, if only for a night. So vicious was the werewolf that killed Edrahil that his blood spilled out to Finrod. Finrod wet his hands with the blood of his faithful follower and wet one link on each of the chains that held him. Iron was not gold. It rusted.

As the days of torment passed one after another, Finrod continued to refuse to answer the interrogations of Sauron. When he bled, he waited for the guards to leave and then placed his blood atop that of Edrahil's on the same chain links. The servants of Sauron fed them salty soup in order to keep them barely alive, and this Finrod saved and put on the same spot on his chains. He could speak no words to Beren of his plans, for he had been gagged with a filthy but surprisingly strong rag to prevent him from singing. Even if he'd wanted to drink his soup, the act of doing so with the gag was so difficult that he preferred instead to save the precious liquid and slowly use it on the chosen chain links. Finrod felt his body grow weary from lack of food, but he did not lose hope and rested when he could to conserve his strength.

Then, as Finrod had expected, a werewolf came to claim Beren's life. Sauron would keep the most powerful Elf until the end to try to fathom their mission. At that moment, Finrod burst from his chains of bondage. The iron had rusted enough for him to break the links. His wrists and ankles bled from where the iron tore into his skin, but he was free. Finrod assailed the wolf before it could devour Beren and fought with bare hands. He wrestled with the werewolf and slew it with his hands and teeth. But Finrod himself was wounded.

With the sharp fangs of the werewolf, Finrod cut the gag from around his mouth and said to Beren before the end, "I go now to my long rest in the timeless halls beyond the Seas and the Mountains of Aman. It may be long ere I am seen among the Noldor again; and it may be that we shall not meet a second time in death or life, for the fates of our kindred are apart. Farewell."

Finrod died then in the dark, in Tol-in-Gaurhoth, whose great tower he himself had built. But Finrod did not regret his decision to save Beren even in the bitter end, for he knew as he bade Beren farewell that, somehow, Beren's love would be fulfilled. And surely that love would prevail.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment