The Redemption of the Noldor by Cirdan

| | |

Chapter 2


Cirdan first met Finrod in the spring at Mereth Aderthad, the Feast of Reuniting, 20 years after the Noldor had first arrived in Middle Earth. His golden hair shone like the gleam of the sun on the pools of Ivrin, and diamonds like stars decorated his hair. Finrod was arrayed in fine blue and silver silk, and his every move was more graceful than many of the best dancers. He moved among the guests and spoke easily and openly to Noldor and Sindar alike. He was very charismatic, and many Gray Elves were drawn to him. Like most of the Noldor, he spoke in the Sindarin tongue, which the Noldor had learned with surprising speed. Cirdan watched Finrod for a better part of the Feast.

At last, Cirdan approached Finrod and greeted him in the Noldorin tongue. "A star shines above our meeting."

"Hail and well met at last, kinsman." Finrod's voice was like the warm sun at noon of a summer day. His golden hair and beautiful voice was unmistakably that of the House of Ingwe of the Vanyar. His bearing was noble and his words eloquent; his leadership was that of the House of Finwe of the Noldor. But his dark gray eyes, though bright with the Light of the Two Trees, were definitely of the House of Olwe of the Teleri.

"The Elves of West Beleriand speak highly of you. I'm pleased that you chose to defend the Pass of Sirion, for Sirion is the most beloved river of Ulmo, Lord of the Waters, and I do not doubt that he will protect you from evil," Cirdan said. "I hear that Minas Tirith upon Tol Sirion is almost completed now."

"Minas Tirith was completed just before my departure," Finrod said proudly. "The spirit of my people are high, and they delight in the beautiful, green lands of Beleriand." Finrod paused and switched to the Sindarin tongue. "I didn't realize that you knew the Noldorin tongue."

"My people have mingled much with the people of Turgon, for he has chosen to settle on Mount Taras, where Ulmo and Osse often came in days of old. Many of the Sindar who have taken him as lord once turned to me for lordship and protection. Turgon and I have learned much from each other."

"Then your excellent teachings must be the cause of Turgon's successful integration here in Middle Earth." Finrod laughed, and his laughter sounded almost identical to that of Olwe. Although Cirdan greatly enjoyed conversing with Turgon, Turgon lacked the familiar Telerin blood that made Cirdan feel more comfortable around Finrod than most of the other Noldorin Princes.

"I would gladly share my knowledge with you as well, my Lord," Cirdan said. His voice was wistful and his eyes hopeful. "You have already begun to explore the lands along lower Sirion. Why not take lordship of all the lands between Sirion and Nenning that are not of Doriath?"

Finrod started. "Lord Shipwright, I would not usurp you of your lands!"

"The Sindar of those lands turn to me as their Lord only because those lands lie beyond the Girdle of Melian. They seek my protection but I am ill able to guarantee their safety, and my attention is ever westward. My people are the Falathrim by the Shores of Beleriand, and I am still rebuilding our once fair cities of Brithombar and Eglarest. We are not as skilled as the Noldor in the building of things, and our work progresses ever slowly. I believe the Sindar would benefit from your rule. And when your kingdom has expanded south and west to Nenning, then you will more readily visit me at Eglarest, and we can benefit in each other's company."

"Very well then. I will do as you advise, and my people will help to rebuild the Havens of the Falas." Finrod smiled brightly. In that smile, Cirdan saw nothing of Finwe, Ingwe, or Olwe. Finrod's smile seemed to be for Cirdan alone, and in that moment, Finrod seemed to open himself to Cirdan.

In later days, when Cirdan recalled the Feast of Reuniting, he would remember reuniting with the kin of Finwe, Ingwe, and Olwe. He would remember Finrod's sunlit golden hair and deep gray eyes. Above all, Cirdan would see in his mind the vision of Finrod's private and brilliant smile.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment