Annual race and a new friend by Aprilertuile

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This story (I was going for a fun little story...) is desperately trying to answer the prompt Athletics.

Huan didn't collaborate, it's entirely his fault. 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The summer festival had started, and Tyelkormo spent it with the Hunters of Oromë. Every year was a bit different, but the activity that Tyelkormo enjoyed that year was a race.

 

Major Characters: Celegorm, Huan, Oromë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: Middle-earth Olympics

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 674
Posted on 20 July 2021 Updated on 5 August 2021

This fanwork is complete.

Annual race and a new friend

Read Annual race and a new friend

The summer festival had started, and Tyelkormo spent it with the Hunters of Oromë. Every year was a bit different, but the activity that Tyelkormo enjoyed that year was a race. They all had the same path to follow, on foot, running.

It wasn’t that often they organized those, for practical reasons, and it was always a lot of fun.

He was running, enjoying the feel of the wind on his face, avoiding the traps of the land around him. Roots in his way, rocks…

Of course, there were other hunters. Maiar clothed in flesh and elves. Better runners, faster runners. But he enjoyed it for the sheer pleasure of it. And behind him he heard something running on four legs.

A quick look at his side and he found one of Oromë’s young new hounds. Young looking, of course, and quite gangly. He was utterly adorable.

“Hey there.”

The animal barked at him, with a surprisingly deep voice for its size, and together they ran the rest of the way.

Others had arrived first and had already started celebrating the first to cross the finish line, more yet had to arrive, even as the light of Laurelin was gone already, letting Telperion give everything that eerie forest look that Tyelkormo positively adored.

Tyelkormo welcomed with a grin and a hug, one of his fellow hunters who came with refreshment, and took a big sip of his water, before looking at the hound at his side, who was panting but looking like it was grinning, despite his fur full of leaves and twigs and… Was that a broken egg on his back?

The young elf blinked at that and in front of the sorry state of the dog, he couldn’t help but laugh, and offer him some of his water.

Oromë saw them, and raised an eyebrow at the state of the hound and the apparently fast friendship between the two.

Tyelcormo started to try to pick out twigs and leave and… Everything he could, from the animal’s fur, and he was quite sure that if he could, the animal would have started to purr.

“You’re such a cat.”

The dog emitted a vexed sound of protestation and Tyelkormo laughed in good humor.

“Alright, alright, I’m sorry. And wow, that really was an egg. How did you end up with an egg breaking in your fur? It wasn’t even a hunt! It was a race and the path was clear!

-That one escaped its caretaker by climbing out of his and his sibling’s fence and passed under a nest when an egg fell, that’s how. Noted Oromë amused.

-Oh, clever boy! Cooed Tyelkormo petting the young dog.  

-Do you want him?

-Do you mean it?

-Of course. You look like you’re already friends. And you look so similar already…”

Saying so, Oromë picked up a leaf out of Tyelkormo’s hair, looking vaguely amused. The elf blushed bright red and the dog barked in what sounded suspiciously like a laugh.

“Yes, I think you’ll be perfect together.

-I’ll gladly accept.” Tyelkormo smiled.

 

It was almost morning when Tyelkormo got back home…

Only to cross path with a half awake Fëanàro nursing a cup of tea. The younger elf wondered briefly if his father had awoken early for a project or hadn’t yet gone to sleep… Which seemed more likely considering the state of Fëanàro’s hair and soot covered clothing.

His father turned to look at him. His eyes fell on the dog in a sorry state, back to Tyelkormo in a similar sorry state back to the dog and then back to his son… And he sighed, pinching the base of his nose with his fingers.

“Father…

-I don’t want to know. Just… No mess inside.”

Tyelkormo whooped in joy, hugged his father and left running outside, to the stable to find what he needed to try and bring some order to Huan’s fur.


Chapter End Notes

Thank you for reading


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

Aprilertuile has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Description/Imagery, Spelling, Grammar, and Mechanics. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


Awww, this is adorable! Huan deserves all the screen-time, he is best boy <3 I love how huffy he gets at being compared to a cat.

This was so fun to read!

 

(It didn't bother me or anything, but since you asked for it, there's a few tiny spelling errors I noticed:

- fourth paragraph: "cheer pleasure" instead of "sheer pleasure"

- ninth paragraph: "egg on his bag" instead of "egg on his back"

- second paragraph after the break: "sooth covered clothing" instead of "soot covered clothing")