Finrod: 30-Day Character Study - Study Days by cuarthol

| | |

3. Strong Points, Part One.

Strong Points, Part One. Think about at least three strengths of your character - talents they were born with, skills they have learned, positive character traits… Write a scene in which your character really shines at something.

For today's creative writing scene see The Oath


Finrod is a thinker: a philosopher among a family of warriors and crafters.  I don’t believe he was in the slightest incapable - he is noted as going hunting with his cousins, and he does see battle both at the siege and in the south, but he seems to be more content being away from the fighting directly.

It is entirely possible that the reason he is noted as having brought more treasures out of Valinor is because he understood there would be a need for them, to trade or gift, with the people who still dwelt in Beleriand.

Such foresight (in a more human sense) served him well, as he was generous with payment to the Dwarves for their aid.

But he also is noted as having foresight in terms of having a sense of future events before they happen.  While the Silmarillion seems to be largely written from an Elvish POV - anything that is taken for granted among the Elves is regarded as not worth noting - the fact that Finrod is multiple times noted as having specific abilities may hint that he was somewhat more extraordinary in having them.

Finrod is powerful.  His ability to read the minds of Men, or project into them thoughts; his foresight of his oath and death, as well as his brother’s eventual death; his ability to disguise himself and his companions with spells; the songs of power he uses against Sauron - these may or may not be common throughout the Eldar, varying only in degree, but they are never or only very rarely noted in connection to any other, which makes Finrod’s abilities seem more unusual.

After all, Finrod goes toe-to-toe with a powerful Maia, and while he does not succeed, he also does not entirely fail.  Though Sauron strips away their disguises, he does not discover who they are or what their quest is.  His strength of will, if nothing else, is formidable.

Finrod is Faithful.  He is called so for good reason - holding to his oath unto death rather than break his word.  One of the more iconic objects out of the First Age is the Ring of Barahir, given as a token of oath.

But far more - in the Lay of Leithian, while disguised as Orcs and questioned by Sauron, he would not dare to speak against the Valar to keep their identities concealed.

… Repeat your vows,    
Orcs of Bauglir! Do not bend your brows.    
Death to light, to law, to love;    
cursed be moon and stars above;    
may darkness everlasting old
that waits outside in surges cold    
drown Manwë, Varda and the sun;    
may all is hatred be begun    
and all in evil ended be    
in the moaning of the endless Sea!'

But no true Man nor Elf yet free    
would ever speak that blasphemy,

Not even to deceive Sauron and potentially save all their lives would Finrod deny or curse the Valar.  He very much had his own moral framework that he would not overstep.  This adherence to a faith-like devotion comes up in the Athrabeth as well, when he cautions Andreth against speaking blasphemies by either equating Melkor with the Lord of Arda or otherwise speaking ill or lightly of the Valar.

He is faithful both in keeping his word but also in holding to his faith in Eru and by extension the Valar (though he draws a clear distinction between them).

For today's creative writing scene see The Oath


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment