Atandil


Hi! And welcome! I was just doing that infamous "one last check before bed" thing, when your post grabbed my attention. I've only read a little bit but I just had to let you know that I've bookmarked your fic and am very intrigued to read it when my brain is more awake!

Just read part 1, and have to say, it's everything I hoped for, and much more! I've been thinking about these two in this respect for a little while, and I really appreciate your take. And your writing is simply a joy. Little details that you include, like the four dogs and their character-matching names, and significance. And Aegnor's hair! "The ever untamable hair danced a precarious balance of appearing both unkempt and immaculate. ..."

And the implications behind this: "The hair, the tower, the martial cut of every robe—the youngest lord of Dorthonion ensured you never forgot the war lying beyond the siege lines without ever uttering a word."

And this: "he felt the pang of transience and gathered the image to him in deliberate preservation, solidifying it but turning the present into memory before its time." Such a truth, and not just for Elves!

I loved this: "But it is Anger held alongside her sister Sorrow, and tempered thus by the company.”
and this: "It was placing a river’s fish within the brined waves and saying to it, ‘live and breathe!’"

and this, is just... “Which nature would they inherit?” he asked at last, his voice heavy. “The father’s or the mother’s? And for which nature should one hope? For by the one inheritance a child would lose its mother ere it reached full maturity—with ever swifter passage for each successive offspring. Thus even in peacetime would the sundering we dread of war be achieved. Or should one hope instead for the alternate bequest? Would it be a kinder fate for the father to watch through ever gathering centuries as his children withered before him, his children’s children, and their children’s children—on through the endless years till he was nothing but a relic, fraught with pain?”

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series!

Wow, thank you so much for saying all that! This meant so much to read! You're the first person to comment on the Chaos Pups and goodness I just adore those four so much. It made my day to know someone else found them enjoyable too. 

Reading over your comment, I just kept grinning because you picked out so many of my own favorite lines to highlight. Knowing especially that the description of Aegnor landed was really encouraging. I've had such a fond place for him in my heart ever since first reading the Athrabeth and there was one day where all of a sudden something clicked and his whole personality just stepped out whole-cloth from there. I'm so glad that line worked as I'd hoped!

I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it! I'm truly looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the rest of the series if/when you have a chance to read what's there so far. Thank you again so much for reading and taking the time to comment!

Excited to see part 3 up, and not disappointed in its lyricism and slow, careful development of their bond. Lovely, lovely. Finrod is eerie and eldritch, but so easy to love. I think this is the best description of the practice of osanwe I've read -- that section was particularly marvelous. And your characters are all so crisp and unique and believable. Wonderful!

omg thank you so much for saying this! I'd been so nervous about the ósanwe portion especially and had no idea if that would land or not. I kept going back and forth over whether to even include it at all or whether it just made the whole thing start to sound like some kind of jedi mind trick. So this means so much to hear! I'm also really encouraged to hear the Finrod portrayal is coming across as I'd hoped. Thank you so much for continuing to read these! 

I have soooo much to say about the feels and enjoyment your writing evokes in me, and the little detailed details you weave in are such magic! I would like to write a more detailed comment for each fic, but my writing capacity seems to be on holiday, so I'm just popping in quickly to say a huge thank you,  this is a real treat you've created and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. (And now I'm off to bed with parts 8 and 9! Yay!!)