The Lost Boys by Lady MSM

| | |

Reputation is Everything


Reputation is Everything

The palace servants were a gossipy lot. Quite frankly, with such dysfunctional and interesting employers, it was difficult for them not to be. And after everything that had happened in the last week—well, that just made things even better. There was a new person in the city. A human. And his adjusting to city life was one of the funniest things the staff had ever beheld.

“You wouldn’t believe some of the things he says,” declared one of the dining room serving girls. “When he was eating dinner with Their Highnesses on his first day here, he picked up a fork and said ‘What is this?’”  

“Ah, that’s nothing,” said a pageboy when the laughter had died down. “When I showed him to his suite, he got this really bewildered look and asked which room was his.”

“When I asked him what he wanted for breakfast, he just said ‘Food.’ When I asked him what kind, he said ‘All the bacon and eggs you have,’ and went back to sleep.”

“I doubt he’s ever seen a pretty girl in his life before. Have you seen how he acts around Her Highness? Like a boy of twenty."

“Well, he is only twenty-three…”

“No, you don’t say? Why, he’s just a kid.”

This new information caused a brief silence among the staff. A lad that young, and that poor, giving up what little he had to try to save people he’d never met, was something that they’d never heard of before.

“Gods bless the boy,” said one of the cooks finally.

There was a murmur of assent.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment