Betrayed by LadySternchen

| | |

Disguise


Prompt #1- London Fog. Consider the obscured and obscurity and work an element of related to one of these themes into four fanwork. When you decide what you will do (you don’t have to have started yet) you can open the next prompt.
 

Lúthien stretched comfortably in the warm grass, drawing an admiring sigh from the man beside her, and when she opened one eye to look at Beren, she saw his gaze wander over her slender form. His desire was as obvious as it was innocent, and she laughed as she turned onto her side, cupping his face with her hand and kissing him gently.
“You still scratch…” she whispered. Not that that put her off in the slightest. If anything, she found his beard interesting. Beren grinned into their kiss, but then drew away, listening, a look of alarm on his face. Lúthien was aware of the wardens as well, but she only grinned and gestured Beren to be silent ere she threw her long hair around them like a mantel.
Had one of them chosen to stretch out their hand, they might have been able to wrap them around the ankles of the two elves that wandered by, singing gaily. When they had past and their voices could no longer be heard, Lúthien threw back her hair, laughing at the befuddled expression on Beren’s face.
“How did you do that?” he asked, sounding as perplexed as he looked.
“I can avoid being seen if I don’t want to be. No need to be so astounded, my love.”
Beren clearly was, though, gazing at Lúthien with a frown upon his face.
“Elf-magic working on Men I understand. But of Elf-magic working on Elves I have never heard before.”
“Why, but I am no mere elf!” Lúthien replied, her tone feigning offence. “For I am the daughter of Melian, who dwelled with the One ere Arda was wrought.”
Beren looked at her, blankly. Then he just said: “Ah.”
Lúthien giggled, Beren’s astonishment being both very comical and very endearing. He seemed vaguely annoyed by her amusement.
“Oh well, why tell me sooner, anyway. Honestly, Lúthien, we’ve spent all summer together and now you remember to tell me that you are some half-divine being?” he asked, very sarcastically.
Now it was Lúthien’s turn to look bemusedly back at her lover.
“I never sought to hide that from you, I just thought you knew. I mean, you know I am the King’s daughter… have you never heard of Doriath being held by its Queen’s might? Why do you think it is called the Girdle of Melian?”
“I have, but… I didn’t think…” he stammered.
“No, obviously not. Are you scared of me now?” she asked, the laugh in her voice not entirely obscuring her insecurities. This time it was Beren who grinned, though still looking somewhat unnerved, and kissed Lúthien gently.
“Nay, love, not of you…”
“You need not be scared of my mother, either, unless you were a servant of the enemy.” Lúthien reassured. “Gentle she is, and wise, and she must approve of you, as she has said naught to the contrary.”
“She knows?”
Beren sounded somewhat alarmed still.
“I’m sure of it. I don’t think much slips her notice within the Girdle.”
Beren, still looking mildly troubled by that information, apparently decided it was time to steer the conversation somewhat away from that subject.
“So… your hair can make you invisible?”
“What… no, of course not. I’m an incarnate being just like you, after all. But it may obscure me, and hide me in plain sight, like a spider will be camouflaged against the bark of a tree and not seen unless it stirs.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment