Laurië Lassi – Golden Leaves by Esteliel

| | |

Meetings

Rivendell Passport Stamp

Write a story or create a piece of artwork centred on meetings or reunions.


Meetings

Círdan had given him a map, and so Glorfindel had set out from Mithlond toward the east on his own. After all, he was Glorfindel, whose valiant fight against the Balrog had become a proverb among the Eldar. What need had he of armed guides?

Glorfindel shone with power. His hair was the golden brilliance of Laurelin, his eyes held the sweet, argent light of Telperion. Only a few eyes beheld him as he traveled towards the hidden valley of Elrond, and none of them dared approach him.

When he came to the end of his journey at last, the hooves of his stallion beating a fast rhythm onto the white bridge that led to the courtyard, many had gathered to meet him. On the stairs that led into the generous main building, a large group had assembled, many of them with the familiar Noldorin coloring of dark hair and star-gray eyes.

He stepped towards the stairs, leaving his stallion in the hands of a courageous boy who had eagerly come forward. The eyes that took him in held awe, admiration, relief, in a few cases distrust, but there were also, Glorfindel was pleased to note, some that held frank appraisal and invitation.

Then he met the eyes of a man he almost seemed to recognize: Turgon's graveness; Idril's kindness; Tuor's courage.

“Elrond, Eärendil's son,” he said, and bowed. “Well met. I have been sent to aid your efforts.”

He did not kneel. His king was long dead, and he would not swear an oath of fealty again.

“Be welcome. Be very welcome!” Elrond said and clasped his hands with a smile that warmed his face, so that Glorfindel felt another stab of pain when he thought of that last glimpse of Idril with Eärendil in her arms. Elrond met his eyes, and Glorfindel could feel his relief at having gained such a powerful ally. Did things stand that badly then?

Not that it mattered. He would have come regardless, even in the face of certain defeat, because he had to. Still... Elrond made it easier. Glorfindel pressed his hands, returned his smile, reading in Elrond's eyes what he himself felt: that here stood two equally powerful men united by the same duty towards this land and their people.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment