How I Wish by Dawn Felagund

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Left behind by Finrod, Amárië considers the paradox of her situation: her wish for his return and the only means by which her wish would be granted. A sonnet.

Major Characters: Amarië

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Poetry

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes, Violence (Mild)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 122
Posted on 31 December 2009 Updated on 31 December 2009

This fanwork is complete.

How I Wish

Read How I Wish

How I wish--I wish--
   No, I cannot say.
For what fate would I impart to thee
If my eyes lift to find thy face this day,
A sudden star caught by the darkened sea?
How I wish--I wish--
   In the market square,
While my thoughts linger in a darker place,
Where I would speed thee from the shadows there
As the sun washes sorrow from thy face.
Would I know the cold reek of dungeons deep?
Would I know all that thou has suffered there?
And, bound by searing ice at hands and feet,
How much would ask that thou heed my prayer?
For my wish means that thou has hurt, has bled,
Has from agony to me dying fled.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you, Pandë! :) I wrote this one a bit differently in that, instead of churning it out in one sitting, I wrote it in bits over the course of about three weeks. I think that worked well. I\'m so relieved to hear that the meter worked for you; I am quite good at thinking in iambic tetrameter but iambic pentameter usually still gives me a run for my money!

Thank you, Araloth! :) Sonnets are hard for me (I can write a sestina in my sleep) because I\'m not particularly good at iambic pentameter or strong meter in general. But I won\'t ever be any good at those unless I practice, so here you go! :)

Subject-wise, yes, I was definitely inspired by the traditional notion of the sonnet as a love poem; as soon as Amarie started speaking to me about this subject, then I knew it had to be a sonnet! Rhyme-wise, I prefer Sir Thomas Wyatt the Elder\'s rhyme scheme to Petrarch\'s, so I used that here.

Thank you again for taking the time to read the poem and let me know what you thought of it--I really appreciate it! :)