They Went in Haste by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Fanwork Notes

From time to time, we get together on the SWG Discord and instradrabble: write impromptu short-shorts using a four-word prompt. I am collecting my drabbles here: each exactly 100 words.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A collection of drabbles written for instadrabbling sessions on the SWG Discord.

Major Characters: Caranthir, Celegorm, Daeron, Fëanor, Fingon, Maedhros, Pengolodh, Voronwë

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges:

Rating: Creator Chooses Not to Rate

Warnings: Creator Chooses Not to Warn

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 9 Word Count: 887
Posted on 18 November 2018 Updated on 18 November 2018

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Strong

Prompt: borne, fled, forest, strong

Celegorm ruins a project in his father's forge and flees to the forest.

Read Strong

Tyelkormo fled into the forest, feet pounding past the path, until his heart felt it might burst and the tears dried on his face.

Strong Finwë! Laughable!

His body was hale and whole; it was the project he’d ruined, time devoured as he stared out the window and the blade he was softening melted—infinitely worse.

Oaks—strong, upright like his father, taking more than their share of sky—flashed past as he ran.

He did not stop till he reached the river where the willows bowed, borne on the wind to grace the water, with a strange supple strength.

Melt

Prompt: fragrant, bustle, refuse, hasten

Carnistir doesn't get ready for a dance with his future wife Taryindë.

Read Melt

Carnistir sat, pointedly not participating in bustling commotion of his brother and cousins readying for the dance. Nerdanel insisted that Carnistir go because Taryindë was visiting and needed an escort.

(Of course. When he’d last seen her, there’d been browned blood on her face from the rabbit she’d skinned for the hideous fur cloak she was making.)

Tyelkormo dabbed on some reeking perfume, proclaiming to a giggling Aikanáro that “maids would melt into his arms.”

Carnistir sniffed and refused the bottle when proffered.

But when they departed in a fragrant clamor, hastened to touch just a finger to the stopper.

Newborn

Prompt: heart, stroke, encounter, fire

Fëanor makes the first Silmaril.

(The last instadrabbling session, I tackled this same topic, earlier in the sequence but very different in tone: Fëa. I am considering that I should do a Feanor-makes-the-Silmarils every time I instadrabble! XD)

Read Newborn

Each stroke of the hammer quavered soft as withheld breath, matching the rhythm of his blood. The silima came into slow shape. Beyond the window, the Trees gilded, then silvered—again, again, again—his ribs rose from wasting flesh like newformed lands, hunger and exhaustion and time unfelt.

The Light cowered, dim, against the ventricle of the stone, clear as the dreams of Ulmo before Moringotto sullied the waters.

When he finally spoke, his voice was roughened by disuse but redolent with a father’s love at first encounter with a new child. The heart of the stone flared to fire.

Break

Prompt: clash, wind, rough, dim

Voronwë and his crew almost reached Valinor.

Read Break

“Ther’s no reef! I am certain o’it!”

Voronwë managed to choke seawater onto the deck before the next wave of frigid spray, borne on wind that broke like a fist across his face, assailed him.

“The waves, th’break on something!”

Terror and doubt, livid in the eyes of his crew. The sea clashed against something unseen, the way they might uprise against a reef just below the surface, but Voronwë had been over the side—there was nothing

Yet there is.

The rain parted briefly, revealing a light upon a tower, dim as forgiveness withheld, still.

“Turn about!” he roared.

North

Prompt: bleak, snow, scurry, breath

Fingon visits Maedhros during the first snowstorm after the Battle of Sudden Flame. Implied Maedhros/Fingon.

Read North

A bleak rampart resolved briefly from the whirling snow. I turned to the north, turned to you.

The snow closed again upon the rampart—you—but I pushed into it until I reached your ice-stiffened furs. You stared across the Anfauglith at scurrying eddies of snow, watching for an intimation of movement, of flame, upon the towers to the north.

Your hands clutched the stone, were iced there, cracked when I broke one free. Eyes once bright as Telperion, now silver like ice, kept their watch. I blew warmth into your hand with my breath.

The fingers softened. A little.

Martyr

Prompt: star, martyr, box, sunset

Maedhros remembers his last interaction with his brothers before his captivity.

Read Martyr

“I won’t see him made a martyr.”

His brothers’ complaints trampled each other but the words Valar and abandon jabbed from the fray. But Maitimo—still then Maitimo—raised his hand.

“No. This was his choice, to come alone. This price … his loss … he was willing to pay.”

Curufinwë—hands ash-grimed from trying to gather their father into a box—glared but was still trained then into obedient silence.

But when Maitimo watched the first bloodied sunset from Thangorodrim, one that whelmed the stars, he regretted that the last look his brothers cast upon him was in hatred.

Cirth

Prompt: binomial, chocolate, world, tree

Pengolodh sneaks off to hear Daeron speak of how he won the Cirth. With a nod to one of my favorite tales from Norse mythology.

Read Cirth

Pengolodh waited until his tutor nodded off—nails set in palms, barely awake himself—and abandoned binomials and stoichiometry for the starlit beach.

A crescent of eager listeners crowded the Doriathrim scribe’s knees, a priceless gift of chocolate from Aman forsaken so he could sketch his stories in the air. Behind him, even the sea seemed to lie down and listen.

Pengolodh lingered beyond the lanternlight.

“Upon the world-tree, for nine nights I hung, my dripping blood upon the stone my price and …”

Producing a stone, wounded by his words, a tale even the sea would struggle to efface.

Erosion

Prompt: river, book, scar, hollow

Maedhros mourns the effects of centuries of war. Implied Maedhros/Fingon.

Read Erosion

What is a river but a scar?

Findekáno knew, more than the scars of his captivity, Maitimo mourned the slow hollowing of his body by time: the furrow in his brow, the slump of his shoulders.

A sheet drawn close until the last candle was snuffed.

What are mountains but assaults of the gods?

A limp he sought to hide, the way his eyes flinched at loud sounds.

A mind wandering from the book in his lap.

What are stones if not worn to dust?

His anger less at Moringotto than at the grinding time set upon him by Ilúvatar.

Roots

Prompt: seedling, last, rekindle, shadow

For Anairë, after the Darkening, much has changed, yet some things remain the same.

Read Roots

Anairë would never grow used to the way the new Sun made the shadows long at the end of the day. She’d never grow used to the way it westered and burned her eyes on the road back from Alqualondë.

She’d never stop missing the touch of her children’s minds, lost over the sea.

She tucked in the last seedling in orchard row and rose, wiping her brow. Growing things still reached for light and roots still held fast.

Eärwen came to stand beside her, chin on her shoulder, earth-grimed hand squeezing her own.

Many things could rekindle, in the light.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I don't quite know how you do this- make such a short scene so utterly complete. So much in this; the refusal to allow them to make Feanor a martyr (and it never occured to me before that they would try! Curufinwe's hands- that focus on their grime, their depserate scrbbling to save dust, is terribly poignant- and the heavy heavy irony of Maitimo (still) is so weighted. Brilliant.

This creates a wonderful image of darkness and a voice speaking out of it- the Odon myth is really interesting here. (and of course, the Christ myth too) An ordeal that yields gifts, not only th story but the voice too. I like the idea that Pengolodh is outside the lamplight.

Oh, this is a grim and sorrowful tale- but I think it is how Tolkien saw things too. Maedhros is the most tragic of all his characters I think and then slow grinding of his spirit the worse thing Tolkien inflivts upon him. Fingon's death seems to finish him and only the Oath keeps him alove. 

There is a terrible bitterness and fury and grief in this one line:Curufinwë—hands ash-grimed from trying to gather their father into a box.

And of course the irony, although I am sure he knew this only too well when he choose to go and sortie with Morgoth, that maitimo went too - his choice, his price, his loss. He was willing to pay.