Streams of Time by Leithriel

| | |

No More Sorrow


Beleg rocked the child in his arms back and forth. While he ultimately did it for the sake of another, he was happy that the little life in his arms would continue on. Turin had regaled him with tales of his childhood many a time, and Beleg knew how much the death of the only sibling he knew he had devastated him.

Mablung was a pain in the butt, thinking that she was the child of him and Nellas. Neither said anything to dissuade that notion. Children of Hurin were cursed by Morgoth himself, and as long as everyone believed that Lalaith was their child, as opposed to Hurin's, there was a chance the curse would pass her by.

Convincing Morwen and Hurin to let them take Lalaith and raise her took a while, but eventually, they got the consent to do so.

And for the time being, they would watch over her. There would be many years before they finally crossed paths with Turin, and at that point, they would reunite him with Lalaith.

 

-Eight years later-

"How was it, father?" Lalaith asked, mirth shining in her eyes

The same kind of mirth that once kept her true family's spirits up, Beleg realized. And his heart constricted.

"You did well." he told her "You are becoming quite a harpist. You will bring joy to everyone through your music."

True to her name, Lalaith laughed, with pure, unrestrained laughter.

"But there is something I need to tell you." his expression turned serious "Me and Nellas.....we aren't your real parents. You may share this information only with those we say you can trust.No one else can know this."

"Who are my real parents, then?"

And Beleg told her.

-x-

"They are happy together, aren't they?" Nellas turned to Beleg

"That they are." Beleg agreed

They watched as Turin and Lalaith walked together through the forest, hand in hand.

"The Curse has been activated by now." Nellas pointed out

"Then we will fight against it." Beleg declared "That's why we did this in the first place."

-x-

Mablung didn't expect for Beleg to seek him out.

The two had been rivals since they knew one another, and seldomly sought each other.

"Why aren't you with Turin?" Mablung asked jokingly

"He has gone out on a scouting mission." Beleg replied "And I need advice from you about a certain matter."

"Go ahead." Mablung nodded

"Hypothetically, if one of the Valar cursed someone." Beleg chose his words carefully "How do you minimize its effects?"

"Well, I'd say you have to be vigilant, to keep your eyes and ears open, and to interfere when it becomes necessary." Mablung said

"That's what I thought." Beleg laughed airily

The laughter never reached his eyes.

"Why, did Morgoth curse someone?" Mablung asked

The sad look Beleg gave him was all the answer he needed.

"Tell me who." he demanded "I can aid you in your efforts."

"No." Beleg said firmly "The less people know, the better."


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment