Pages from the Archives of Cîr Imladris by Lferion

| | |

Cîr.Im-7438-c2 | Thoughts on Execution, Idril Celebrindal

Written for the Silmarillion Writer's Guild January 2021 Resolutions challenge:
Our bonus prompt today comes from June's "Laws & Customs" challenge:
"Then they cast Eöl over the Caragdûr, and so he ended, and to all in Gondolin it seemed just; but Idril was troubled, and from that day she mistrusted her kinsman."
~ The Silmarillion, "Of Maeglin"

Double drabble text, single drabble commentary, not counting the headers.


Text of Cîr.Im-7438-c2 [Thoughts on Execution, Idril Celebrindal]

How can putting someone to death ever be right? Whatever they have done? I do not mean the death given as mercy to those who would otherwise be defiled, taken, tormented by the Enemy or his minions before they could die, or worse, their fear kept from Mandos by the cruel one; nor the bitter mercy given those of the yrch who were once our kind, our kin, and are now not them at all, but the thing that killed them, whatever form or voice or even spirit say (and if they are not dead, but trapped within, how more necessary to release them to find healing and new life across the sea? And killing that which is trying to kill you is defense, not murder. And if Eol's actions were criminal, were murder, why had he not a trial, allowed to speak in his own defense? His son speak, a Sinda that lived not within walls before choosing here to dwell navigate the perils of that life? But there was no trial, only the long fall. Mayhap he and my aunt may find each other in the Halls.

How do I regard my father now, who ruled it so?


Archivist's Note:

By context, the writer of this piece is Idril Celebrindal, though the hand is not much like that seen in the only other document attested to be hers in the Imladris archives, a formal letter sent from Sirion to Cirdan on Balar. This may be a scribal copy, though if so, the copy was made not long after the composition, as the paper and ink are identifiably of Gondolindrin make. It certainly makes one think about what one does not and cannot know of Eol and Irisse, his actions and his death. Why was there no trial? What really happened?


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment