Pages from the Archives of Cîr Imladris by Lferion

| | |

Cîr.Im-4382a | Hate will not Answer

Written for the Silmarillion Writer's Guild January 2021 Resolutions challenge:
-- Day 15: For January 15, in honor of MLK's birthday today, comes a bonus prompt from July's "A True Leader" challenge, featuring quotes from women in leadership roles:
“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” ~Coretta Scott King

Single drabble text, single drabble note, not counting the headers.


Text of Cîr.Im-4382a | Hate will not Answer

I would like to hate you. I want to. I am angry, furiously, unspeakably angry at you, what you did, were party to. You swore no Oath, invoked no Names never to be spoken in binding wrath. Hate would be so easy, warmth in this cold (fevered, hectic fire), simplicity in complexity (nothing here is simple).

But hate will not answer, however darkly attractive, seductive, satisfying. It is too heavy a thing to carry on this fragile, fickle Ice. We need you, and you bear too much already, hate yourself more than I ever could enough for all of us.


Archivist's Note:

This appears to be not a transcription or copy, but the original. The paper, a scrap carefully torn from a larger sheet, is excellent quality, similar to paper from documents attested to be from Aman, though the ink is not quite of that quality (obviously it was good enough to have lasted until now, only a little faded). The hand is in keeping with the paper, a precise and elegant Tengwar, with few if any idiosyncrasies. It would seem to have been written during the Crossing of the Ice. The writer remains unknown. Some believe the subject is Findekáno Nolofinwion.



Table of Contents | Leave a Comment