Whom They Fear by Michiru

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This was my first published Silmarillion fic, and it's grown on me. The whole of Fingolfin's family are at a distinct disadvantage with me, in that... I'm sorry... I really don't like Fingolfin. And yes, that does extend to his children. And no, the fact that Nelyo will happily vouch for Findecáno does not change that. I respect them. I really do. I try to stay true to their characters. But I just don't like them. The point being, the fact that this story has become one of my favorites (that I've written) is remarkable. It's also probably all thanks to Eriala, who said such lovely things about it on FanFiction.

Names:

Some people, I know, are unfamiliar with the Quenya names and nicknames of the characters, being unlike me (in that I'm obsessed with the Noldor,) so here are the Sindarin equivalents (centered, because this looks awful otherwise):

Maitimo- Maedhros

Findecáno/Cáno- Fingon

Fëanáro- Fëanor

Findaráto- Finrod

Angaráto- Angrod

Macalaurë- Maglor

Tyelcormo- Celegorm

Carnistir- Caranthir

Curufinwë/Curvo- Curufin

Ambarussa- the twins, here just Amros (according to Peoples of Middle-earth, my final source for the twin debate)

Tyelperinquar- Celebrimbor

Moringotho- ancient form of Morgoth

Words:

For the same reason as above, here is a short glossary:

Moriquende- ‘Dark Elf,’ Noldorin term for the Sindar who have never seen the Two Trees. It is considered offensive by the Sindar, and in this case is used incorrectly, as Elu Thingol did indeed see the Trees, though he chose to stay behind. Plural: Moriquendi.

Atar- father.

Endor- Middle-earth.

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Thingol warns that Morgoth has used seemingly escaped prisoners to his advantage before. Fingon does not appreciate the implications.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor, Curufin, Fingon, Maedhros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Horror

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 053
Posted on 23 August 2009 Updated on 23 August 2009

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


On finding this story again and re-reading it, I realize that it was one of the stories that I had in the back of my head when I wrote the beginning of "Cabbages". That episode with Curufinwe is heart-rending and the ending is  most effective, extremely worrying! Do you really dislike Fingon? You seem to describe him so sympathetically--both here and, through they eyes of Angrod, in that story about the burning of the ships and the desertion of Fingolfin & co. in Araman, I think?

Thank you so much! This is my favorite piece of Silfic so far (other than my AU baby), so it's gratifying to hear that readers think it works well. And I'm flattered that you had it in the back of your head when writing your own story!

I don't particularly like him, no. It's a bit embarassing because he's a fan favorite, but we've always had a cool relationship. He has one over Galadriel (who has creeped me out since I saw her in the Fellowship movie; not at all evocative of the Virgin Mary, which is what I've heard Tolkien was trying to get across), but that's about it. [He's better off than the rest of his family.]

Having said that, Lyra's Tempered Steel has done much to reconcile me to the Nolofinwions (particularly the chief culprit himself), but we're still at arm's length. I try to keep them in character rather than throwing them to the gutter, so I'm glad they (or at least Fingon) come across sympathetically, as I strive for that with most of the characters (I can't provide that kind of treatment for Melkor, because... well, there's an inherent difficulty in trying to justify a Satan-character's actions. But I digress.).

Incidentally, it tickles me to know that you read White Ash and found something worthwhile in it, as I've contemplated taking it down several times. It was embarassing to reread when I came back across it.

Thanks so much for the review!