Of Beren and Lúthien: The Complete Tale of “The Lay of Leithian” by LuthienHuan

| | |

Chapter 13 Of the Return of the House of Finwë

Orodreth takes rule of Nargothrond, Celegorm and Curufin banned.


Felmir, with Huan at his side, leads Nargothrond’s people formerly enslaved by Sauron to the throne. With much mumbling a large crowd follows as they approach. As they pass Celegorm, Curufin and Celebrimbor, Huan stops next to his master.

Celegorm asked, “What is all this, hound?” Huan sits by his feet without looking at him. “Talk to me! Or did you forget that you’re supposed to be my mutt!”

“You need him not to tell you what’s occurring, uncle,” Celebrimbor said.

With an expression of pity, Felmir stands before Orodreth sitting on the throne with the crown beside it. Orodreth bows his head as if he already knows what Felmir is about to say. Then anger crosses Felmir’s face as he turns to the crowd.

“Hear, ye! Hear, ye all!” Felmir shouted. “Our beloved King Finrod Felagund son of Finarfin and brother of Orodreth is dead!”

Murmurs of disbelief and sounds of lamentation come from the crowd. Some weep, as does Orodreth. Celebrimbor sits down, hides his face and weeps.

Felmir continued, “He was slain by one of Sauron’s werewolves while fulfilling his oath! But he was not sent to his death by Sauron or his beast! No, his death occurred by treachery here in the Caverns of Narog; by fell words of the brothers Celegorm and Curufin sons of Fëanor!”

Their murmurs become louder.

“Also to blame is all here who listened to them and turned your backs on our King and his house! You all should feel shame!”

Felmir motions to the grief-stricken Orodreth to stand. “Therefore, I say: turn back to the House of Finarfin, to the House of Finwë! Hail, King Orodreth!”

The crowd yells, “Hail, King Orodreth!”

Felmir then looks at the brothers and says, “But you, sons of Fëanor; you have always used that ever-troubling Oath of Fëanor to put fear in people’s hearts. There was no other reason for your words of corruption other than to send Felagund to his death. If you really cared about the people of Nargothrond, you would have come to Tol-in-Gaurhoth to save us. Instead, an Elven-maid does what the sons of Fëanor did not! Your hearts are black! You care nothing for this kingdom or its people. We need you not! Therefore, with our new King’s leave, I say to you sons of Fëanor: you are thus banned from the Kingdom of Nargothrond! What say you, brother of Felagund and King of Nargothrond?”

The crowd’s murmuring continues. Someone in the crowd shouts, “Let us slay these faithless lords untrue!” This causes others to chant, “Slay them! Slay them!”

Orodreth, however, holds up his hand and the crowd silences.

“Celegorm and Curufin,” he said, “I say that I personally blame the two of you for my brother’s death. But I also must place blame on all who heard my brother’s request for aid and did nothing. However, I also deem that their decision rested on your words and the fear you set in their hearts. Thus, I agree with the banishing of the two of you. Nevermore shall you have food or rest in the Kingdom of Nargothrond. You shall have one hour to leave this city; and you have until midnight tomorrow to be beyond the borders of this kingdom. Feel fortunate that you shall not be slain, for I shall not have kin slay kin, and thus fall under the Doom of Mandos. But never should the two of you return to this kingdom; and from this hour hence, no son of Fëanor shall be allowed to enter. Do you have anything to say, Celegorm or Curufin?”

The crowd remains silent. Curufin stands smiling beside Celegorm. “So be it!” said Curufin, after which Celegorm said, “We shall remember it.” Then, with no sign of remorse, they walk through the glaring faces of the crowd.

*****

Several minutes later Celegorm and Curufin are at the stables mounted on their horses. Huan sits next to Celegorm’s. Curufin speaks with Celebrimbor, who stands beside his horse.

“I am so ashamed of you, father,” Celebrimbor said.

“I’m not proud of what I did,” said Curufin.

“It has nothing to do with pride. You are upset that the plan didn’t work!”

Celegorm then said, “I wouldn’t allow a son of mine to talk that way to me.”

“Oh, Ilúvatar forbid if you have a son,” Celebrimbor said. “And I wouldn’t want you as a father. You’re not even a good older brother, and my father is a fool for following you.”

“Stop that now, son!” Curufin said. “I will not have you disrespect your uncle.”

“Disrespect?” questioned Celebrimbor. “What know you of that word? You disrespect our King; you disrespect our people. Why do you listen to him? You could stay and ask forgiveness. You could stay with me!”

“No, son, I stay not in a kingdom that bans the sons of Fëanor!”

“The sons of Fëanor? The terrible Oath! Would you like to know the truth? I care not for the Oath, nor for my grandfather who called you all to swear it. I am very ashamed to be part of the family of Fëanor, and I care not for the Silmarils.”

Curufin kicks Celebrimbor in the face. He falls holding his jaw.

“That’s fine; shun your family!” exclaimed Curufin. “I am not going to listen to any more. You have a good life, here in a doomed kingdom. If you need me someday, count not on my coming. For as far as I am concerned, I have no son. We leave now, my brother.”

Curufin looks ahead and nudges his horse. Celegorm looks at Celebrimbor and smiles as he rides past him.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment