Of Beren and Lúthien: The Complete Tale of “The Lay of Leithian” by LuthienHuan

| | |

Chapter 12 Of Farewell to Felagund

Lúthien and Huan save Beren; say farewell to Finrod.


Lúthien and Huan arrive about an hour before dawn at the bridge of Tol-In-Gauroth. She had dismounted Huan about a half a mile prior and has walked beside him the remaining distance while hiding together under her robe.

“I wonder if Sauron’s at home,” Lúthien said. “I wish not for him to see us until it is inevitable, but I see no other way than to call for Beren while trying to remain hidden under the robe.”

Huan nods in approval.

“Beren!… Beren!” she calls.

Beren didn’t hear her but Sauron did. He smiled hearing her voice as he sat on his throne. As usual, Sauron’s wolf-hound Draugluin was resting beside the throne, while three Orcs stand nearby, including Lombag.

“Do you know to whom that lovely voice belongs, Draugluin?” asked Sauron. “That surely is Lúthien daughter of Thingol and Melian. Well, she is more courageous than I would have guessed. If I capture her and hand her over to Morgoth, my reward would be great, although I first would reward myself with her.

“Lombag! Send a wolf to force her across the bridge and into the Tower!” Lombag obeys. “I would have sent you, Draugluin, but I don’t think we need to be that forceful.”

“As you wish, my master,” said Draugluin.

Minutes later a wolf sniffs the entrance of the bridge. Fear suddenly grips him, although he knows not why. Then Huan darts from under the robe. Lúthien again covers herself. Like a strike of a snake and before the wolf realizes, Huan’s teeth are sunk deep into his windpipe. The wolf didn’t even have a chance to yelp. He is then dragged by Huan off the edge of the bridge and down into Sirion’s rolling water.

“What was that?” a bewildered Sauron asked. “Send another wolf!”

Another Orc leaves to send another wolf. Huan again takes the wolf by the throat and slays it; and again he tosses the wolf off the bridge and into the river.

“What is going on down there?” asked Sauron. “Can my wolves not overpower one small Elven-maid? Draugluin, fetch her!”

“As you wish, my master,” he said.

Once he arrived at the bridge, Draugluin walked slowly past the entrance. He sniffs the air then looks to where Lúthien and Huan wait, although he sees nothing.

“I know you are there,” Draugluin said. “Show yourself to the Great Draugluin.”

Lúthien remains covered as Huan comes out from under the robe, and Draugluin looks surprised at him.

“Well, if it isn’t the Hound of Valinor, Huan, whom the Valar has doomed to die on Middle-earth. But this can only be by the greatest of all wolves. I have waited for this all my life; for it is why I was born. Are you prepared to die?”

Huan says nothing, but glares at Draugluin with a fire that no amount of water could extinguish. Draugluin wasn’t going to show it to Huan, but for the first time in his life, he felt fear.

“Oh, that’s right. You are only allowed to speak three times while your miserable life exists here on Middle-earth. Well, if you haven’t used them all, now would be a good time because you aren’t going to need them after I get through with you!”

With that Draugluin lunges at Huan, and they fiercely collide. After a long fight Huan finally rips out a piece of Draugluin’s throat. Draugluin escapes and runs in fear to the tower. Huan gives chase but stops at the bridge’s end. Lúthien uncovers herself and runs to Huan.

“Huan, are you unharmed, my friend?” Lúthien asked. Huan snuggles to her breast as she caresses his face. They watch as Draugluin races into the Tower. “We had better hide underneath the robe again. Who knows what Sauron will do when he sees that Draugluin has been so badly injured.”

Moments later Draugluin limps through the doorway to Sauron’s throne room. His nose is nearly to the floor as he walks slowly toward the throne, and blood pours from his neck. He slowly looks up at Sauron and laboriously whispers, “Huan is there.” He then falls dead.

Although Sauron raised Draugluin from a pup, no remorse does he feel or show those present.

“So, the Valar wish you to die by the greatest wolf,” Sauron said. “So be it. If the greatest wolf is needed, then the greatest I shall be.”

All who remain in Sauron’s throne room watch as he transforms himself into a huge wolf. Draugluin was slightly bigger than Huan; Wolf-Sauron is one-and-a-half times bigger than Draugluin.

Wolf-Sauron, having the eyes of the Maia, runs directly toward Huan and Lúthien. They don’t initially see him. Lúthien holds her cloak, and they still don’t see Wolf-Sauron until he is in the air leaping at Huan, who eludes him. This causes Wolf-Sauron to fall onto Lúthien. But as he falls on her, Lúthien covers herself with the robe. She sees his long yellowish fanged teeth and feels the hot vapors of his breath. Suddenly, he is whisked away as Huan leaps on him, and they roll away from Lúthien. After another long battle, Huan with his teeth finally pins down Wolf-Sauron by his neck.

Wolf-Sauron then transforms himself into a huge snake. He wraps himself several times around Huan’s body. Huan tightens his grip and shakes his head causing his teeth to penetrate deeper into Sauron’s neck. Snake-Sauron hisses loudly and unwinds. He then transforms into his normal form. Blood drips from Sauron’s neck and steams as it hits the ground. Lúthien comes to them as Sauron laboriously pleads, “Tell him to release me!”

“No,” Lúthien sternly said. “Instead, how about I allow Huan to slay you? Or, should I merely strip you of your raiment of flesh, so your ghost can go quaking back to Morgoth? There everlasting your naked self shall endure the torment of his scorn, pierced by his eyes.”

“No! I’ll do whatever you wish!”

“If I wasn’t in such a plight, I would allow Huan to destroy you and rid this world of much evil. But I must release you, for I need you to yield to me the mastery of this island and everything it holds. There is no other choice for you or for me. What say you? Do you yield?”

“Yes. I yield. I yield now all to you.”

The tower and island immediately becomes brighter as the shadow of evil resends.

“Release him, Huan,” said Lúthien. “Never again, Sauron, shall you darken Tol Sirion. Should you ever come near this island again, you shall become powerless until you again leave.”

Huan releases Sauron, who straightway turns into a vampire and flies away. Lúthien and Huan watch as Vampire-Sauron flies from sight. They then hear loud rustling noises within the woods and around the Tower. Owls hoot, bats screech and wolves howl loudly as they follow Sauron. Lúthien then stands on the bridge, looks toward the tower, raises her hands and announces her mastery as Huan proudly stands beside her:

“I am Lúthien the Elven-daughter of King Thingol and Queen Melian, a Maia of Valinor! I claim the mastery of this Island and all its contents!”

She looks to the gates and again raises her arms upwards; the gates fall in crumbling ruin. Tol Sirion shakes; walls fall stone by stone; pits open. Slaves, people from all three races, shadow their eyes and run from the Tower. Many thinking escape jump into the River. About twenty slaves see Lúthien and Huan and run to them carrying tools, holding them as weapons. Lúthien recognizes an Elf from her kingdom.

“Duilen, it that you?” she asked.

“Yes, my Princess,” he answered. “It is Duilen son of Doelen at your service. Where are the soldiers, Lady Lúthien? We come to assist with the battle against Sauron and his servants.”

“Duilen, it is wonderful to see you again, but there are no soldiers or battle. There is just Huan and me.”

“I should have known when I saw you, though I was unaware that you were so powerful.”

“I do need your help with one thing: I am looking for King Felagund, who was captured with ten of his Elven-soldiers and a Man.”

“My Lady,” said another Elf who was coming from behind Duilen and was being followed by eight other Elves, “I am Felmir from Nargothrond. Where’s my king? Is he well?”

“I know not,” Lúthien answered. “What I do know is that they were captured by Sauron. I have not yet searched for them.”

“I will help you search,” Felmir said.

Duilen added, “We all shall.” The others express agreement.

“I do know they were trapped in a dungeon or pit,” said Lúthien.

“There is a dungeon that sits below Sauron’s throne room,” Duilen said. “I would look there first.” They all leave for the tower.

Upon entering the dungeon, nearly all begin to weep and voice dismay; a couple vomit.

“Oh, Ilúvatar,” sadly expresses Duilen. “What kind of monster could do this?”

“I know of only two: Morgoth and Sauron,” Felmir said.

“If Morgoth isn’t careful,” Lúthien said, “Sauron shall one day take his place.”

Beren is still holding Felagund in a dark corner while looking up at the Sickle of the Valar through the large looking hole in the top of the tower. He hears nothing and sees only the stars with his eyes and the image of Felagund’s face in his mind. Huan sees him, barks and runs to him. Lúthien and several others follow; some slip and find it difficult to keep their balance on the slick blood-covered floor. Huan licks Beren’s face, but Beren in shock doesn’t move. Lúthien then wraps her arms around Beren. Felmir weeps anew, as do some others, and takes Felagund from Beren, who still doesn’t move on his own.

“Beren,” Lúthien said, trying to arouse him. “Beren.” Lúthien puts her head on his shoulder and hugs him. Thinking he is also dead, Lúthien begins to again weep. Beren then moves. “Beren?” She kisses him.

“Oh, my Lúthien, do you love me so much that you would come to terror’s lair?” Beren asked. “How did you find me?”

Lúthien answered, “Yes. To hell’s center I would come just to be with you. Only I would not have made it here but for the help of Huan, the Hound of Valinor.”

Huan sits and holds his paw out. Beren shakes it and says, “Well met, my new friend. I am indebted to you. I know not how I shall repay you.”

Huan gives a small bark and licks Beren’s hand and his cheek. That turns his head in the direction of Felagund, where he lies on the floor being tended by the Elves. Beren begins to weep again.

“I can’t believe he’s gone; they’re all gone,” Beren said. “It should be me lying there; it should be me.”

“What do you mean?” asked Lúthien.

“The werewolf that slew him was coming for me when Felagund burst his bonds and slew it. Then he released me, but there was nothing I could do. I’m sorry.”

“We blame you not, Beren,” said Felmir.

“If only I would’ve arrived sooner; and would have if it weren’t for the dark-hearted brothers Celegorm and Curufin,” Lúthien said.

“What do you mean, my Lady?” Duilen asked. “What do the sons of Fëanor have to do with the delay of your arrival?”

Lúthien answered, “They imprisoned me.”

Beren, Duilen and Felmir exclaimed, “What?!”

“They were the reason why we came with only ten soldiers,” Beren said. “The brothers put fear in the hearts of Felagund’s people, using the Oath of Fëanor and threatening all in the kingdom. I had never seen anything like it. Orodreth now rules, but the brothers have the people under their yolk. The crown is on Orodreth’s head, but he has no power.”

Lúthien explained, “They said they would help me; that we would go to the Caverns first to gather aid. I went with them, and they imprisoned me. Celegorm’s plan was to usurp the throne, learning from me that Sauron had captured the king and his men. The plan also included Celegorm marrying me to increase their power. They even sent messengers to Menegroth with words to force my father to give my hand to him.”

“I shall tend to this when I return to the Caverns of Narog,” Felmir said. “Now we must tend to the King.”

The four look down at Felagund being tended by the other survivors. Beren looks up to see the sun just beginning to rise.

*****

A burial mound sits on a hill of Tol Sirion overlooking the Sirion River. With it, a stone faces west with a bright ray of sunlight hitting its face and highlighting the inscription: “King Finrod Felagund, Beloved Son of Finarfin, Brother, Keeper of Oaths, Greatest Friend to Elves, Dwarves and Men.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment