Of Beren and Lúthien: The Complete Tale of “The Lay of Leithian” by LuthienHuan

| | |

Chapter 8 Of the Reunion with Felagund

Beren again meets Finrod and asks for his aid in his Quest, but two of Feanor's sons intervene.


Throughout the remainder of that day and night and into the morning, Beren without sleep traveled westward and crossed into the wooded plains of Taleth Dirnen. Although the morning sun was bright and he saw no one, Beren knew he was being watched. Looking through silent trees he saw a nearby tower atop a tall hill. He held his ring high and shouted: “I am Beren son of Barahir, friend of Felagund! Take me to the King!”

He walked several steps further, stopped, lifted his hand and repeated: “I am Beren son of Barahir, friend of Finrod Felagund! Take me to the King!”

He then begins to walk again. After a couple steps he hears a “twang” and stops as an arrow sticks in the ground against the front of his right boot. A couple seconds later about fifteen more circle around his feet, each accurately against his boots. Suddenly, several Elves come from behind trees while more drop from other trees. Even though he is merely one man, they cautiously walk to him; some hold bows ready as others have drawn swords or long knives. Captain Haldir stands in front of Beren with his sword pointing at his breast.

“The Welcoming Committees get funnier-looking each time,” said Beren.

Not finding any humor in Beren’s statement, Haldir says, “We have watched you since you stepped onto the Plains of Taleth Dirnen. We slay you not because you seem without threat and of what you say of the Ring. May we look upon it?”

Beren shows them the Ring. Haldir then describes the ring: “Two emerald-eyed snakes with golden flowers; one snake upholds them while the other devours.” He then looks again at Beren. “’Tis the Badge of Finarfin father of King Finrod Felagund, Orodreth, Angrod, Aegnor and the Lady Galadriel.” Surprising to Beren, Haldir then bows, as do the others. “My Lord, please forgive us for your welcome,” said Haldir, who then asked, “What would you have us do?”

As before, Beren said, “Take me to the King.”

“As you wish,” said Haldir, and they begin walking for Nargothrond.

*****

Throughout the afternoon they walk through scenic woods, along the waterfall of the Sirion River, and green glades until they pass through the Gates of the Caverns of Nargothrond at dusk. King Felagund, wearing his crown and the Nauglamír, the many-jeweled necklace made for him by the Dwarves, meets them outside the cave-mansion of his Throne Cavern. He hastens to and embraces Beren, calling him by name, “Beren son of Barahir, descendant of Bëor.”

The others bow and leave them. Beforehand, Felagund had told Haldir to send an Elven Maid to his chamber.

“King Finrod Felagund, I wondered if you would remember me,” said Beren.

Finrod gestures at Beren to enter as he begins walking into the Throne Cavern. “Come in, come in. I would never forget those who saved my life, nor would I need anything to remind me of Bëor’s kin.”

Beren sits at a table set about ten feet from the throne while two guards stand behind it. Felagund instructs the Elven-maid, who also entered, “Fetch us cheese, fruits and wine and see that we are disturbed not until I say otherwise.” After bowing she leaves and Felagund sits at the corner of the table next to Beren.

“I heard what happened to your father and friends,” Felagund said, with a saddened face. “I’m very sorry. I honor his memory; not a day goes by that I do not thank the both of you for my life. And I have foreseen why you are here; for me to honor my oath. Feel no remorse. It takes nothing away from these past short years you and your father gave me. However, what need brings you I have foreseen not.”

“When I tell you why I need your aid, you may refuse; for you may feel that my request is menial, or merely worth not the risk of your life. But should that be and you refuse, I will feel no less of you. I’m sure another day will come when I or my kin will again need your aid.”

“I’m sure it’s important if you seek me.”

“This may be an impractical question: do you remember the love of your life?”

“Ah, Amarië. Of course. She awaits me in Valinor. However, I believe if we are to meet again it will be in or beyond the Halls of Mandos. Is that what this is about, your wife?”

“Not wife yet, but my heart has been given to Lúthien daughter of King Thingol and Queen Melian. I seek her hand with the King’s blessing.”

“I didn’t know you had such high standards, my friend. You seek Middle-earth’s most fair. No offense, but I would have never thought that an Elven-maid so wise and beautiful would give her heart to a Man. I can see why her father has a problem with it. Yet, you must’ve already done something to win her heart.”

“Yes, but Thingol wants more.”

Two maidens return with food and drink. They set the food on the table and each pours wine into goblets and sets them before Felagund and Beren.

“Thank you, my maidens,” said Felagund. They smile and exit. Felagund continues, “For his Princess, I’m sure it’s no small requirement. What is it: Morgoth’s head on a platter?”

“You have no idea how near to the mark you are.”

“well, that’s scary.”

“Thingol seeks a Silmaril.”

“In other words, it may as well be Morgoth’s head, since he keeps them in the Iron Crown, which he takes off never. How do you purpose we do this?”

“I have no idea as to how to accomplish this improbable feat. But I first, of course, must get to and into Angband. That is why I seek you; and only that. I would never ask anyone to come with me into his presence. Just get me into Thangorodrim.”

“Beren, know that I love you so much that I would enter Morgoth’s throne room and tickle him with a nightingale’s feather if you asked me. But, it’s not just getting away with a Silmaril that causes a problem. I’m sure you’re wise enough to know that Thingol desires your death; but it seems that this doom goes beyond his purpose, and that the Oath of Fëanor is again at work. For the Silmarils are cursed with an oath of hatred, and he who even names them in desire moves a great power from slumber, for the Oath drives them. And now Celegorm and Curufin, two of Fëanor sons, are dwelling in my halls; and though I, Finarfin’s son, am King, they have won a strong power in the realm, and lead many of their own people. They have shown friendship to me in every need, but I fear they will show neither love nor mercy to you, if your quest be told. Yet my own oath holds, and thus we are all ensnared.”

“As I said: if you wish to aid me not, I’ll walk alone from your kingdom; no feelings of anger or wrath toward you.”

“I was merely reminding you of the Oath. You couldn’t stop me from going, nor shall I ever be called an oath-breaker. I shall speak with my people.”

*****

Beren stood beside Felagund as he spoke to his people: “During the Dagor Brachollach, Beren and his father Barahir saved my life and many of our soldiers’; nearly all of whom still stand here today. Thus, I swore an oath of aid to Beren’s father: if he or any of his kin and/or seed would call upon me, I would assist in their need. I gave him my father’s ring in token of my pledge. Sadly, Barahir was slain several years later by servants of the Enemy. Now Beren wears the Ring.”

Beren holds the ring up for a couple seconds. Murmurs of awe come from the crowd.

Felagund continues, “He now seeks my sworn aid. He is on the Quest of the Silmaril, and is going to brave Angband and Morgoth himself to take at least one of the Silmarils from his Iron Crown to take back to King Thingol of Doriath to be the bride-price of Lúthien his daughter.”

The crowd murmurs louder in amazement. Then Celegorm and Curufin part the crowd and step forward. Huan the hound of Valinor has followed and sits by their side. Celegorm draws his sword, and the crowd silences. He then speaks forcefully: “Be he friend or foe, whether demon of Morgoth, or Elf, or child of Men, or any other living thing in Arda, neither law, nor love, nor league of hell, nor might of the Valar, nor any power of wizardry shall defend him from the pursuing hate of Fëanor’s sons, if he take or find a Silmaril and keep it. For the Silmarils we alone claim, until the world ends.”

Huan looks confused. Curufin then speaks, softer in volume but with no less potency than Celegorm: “Not only will the hate of Fëanor’s sons pursue the person, but it will also target the entire kingdom that harbors the one who withholds a Silmaril. Even while in open battle against the armies and weapons of Morgoth, those of that kingdom will have the people and weapons of the Sons of Fëanor also drawn against them. None will be safe or escape our Oath’s hatred.”

The crowd quietly mutters. Huan, having heard enough, walks away from the brothers. He’s heard it all before and knows what damages the oath has already caused.

Curufin turns a stare at Felagund. He then said, “In this realm, you all have chosen to be ruled by this son of Finarfin, who is not even a Vala to command others. Yes, he has been a great, just and fearless king. But are you actually going to allow him to make a decision that jeopardizes the entire existence of this kingdom, although it was he who created it?” The crowd murmurs louder; some against Felagund.

“Therefore, you must reject Felagund’s request,” added Celegorm, “as well as his powers to reign, should he assist this Man in this quest.” He looks at Felagund and Beren. “What say you, Felagund? Do you still wish to aid this… this… Man?”

The crowd again becomes silence. Felagund takes Nargothrond’s crown off his head, looks at it briefly, then tosses it to the ground.

“Your oaths of faith to me you may break,” he said, “but I must hold to my bond. Yet if there be any on whom the shadow of our curse had not yet fallen, I should find at least a few to follow me, and should not go hence as a beggar that is thrust from the gates; something I have done never to any.”

The crowd remains silent. Then Captain Edrahil steps forward and picks up the crown. He then looks at Felagund.

“This shall be given to Orodreth your brother to rule as steward in your stead,” said Edrahil. “For you remain my king, and theirs, whatever betide.”

Felagund also takes off the Nauglamír and hands it also to Orodreth. “In my departure I shall also leave behind for safekeeping the Nauglamír,” he said. “If I should perish and return never to Nargothrond, may the beauty of its many jewels forever enhance the beauty of this kingdom that I created.”

“It shall await your return, my brother,” said Orodreth. “If you do not, the Nauglamír will never again be worn by any in the Kingdom of Nargothrond.”

Orodreth bows to brother. However, Felagund instead embraces Orodreth.

Edrahil said, “Now the king has asked for at least a few to assist him. Surely, not all of you would send our king alone on such a quest or turn your backs on the son of the man and this man who saved your lives.”

Nine other men walked to Felagund’s side. Celegorm and Curufin smiled and walked away.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment