Of Beren and Lúthien: The Complete Tale of “The Lay of Leithian” by LuthienHuan

| | |

Chapter 10 Of Huan

After she escapes Hirilorn, Lúthien flees to rescue Beren, Finrod and the other captives, and meets two foes and an unusual ally.


It took invisible-Lúthien only until mid-afternoon the following day after she escaped to reach the Crossing of Teiglin; a little farther than halfway to Sauron’s Isle. As she approached the Teiglin River, walking through the sparse woods of the Forest of Brethil, she saw near the water two Elves sitting under a couple trees and two horses grazing in the trees’ shade. There were also four hounds playing in the water near the bank on her side.

Furthermore, there was a much larger hound that appeared to be looking at her although she was invisible underneath her robe. Lúthien wondered if this dog as big as a small horse could actually see her. Then it donned on her, and the answer was “yes” – for it is Huan.

     Huan was not born in Middle-earth. He came from the Blessed Realm and was true of heart; born to Oromë, who gave him in friendship to Celegorm. When the Noldor fled from Valinor back to Middle-earth, he faithfully followed the horn of his master, whom he had saved from harm and even death many times. Because of his birthplace, Huan was immune to many things that harmed and even killed regular hounds and other beasts of Middle-earth, and he had special powers of his own. No wizardry nor spell, neither fang nor venom, nor devil's art, nor beast-strength could overthrow Huan. He never slept, but he was tireless nonetheless. Hunting and tearing the throats out of wolves and werewolves was his favorite sport. Huan also knew all the speech of birds, beasts and the races of the people of Middle-earth. He was given a special decree by the Valar: he could speak but only three times during his life on Middle-earth.

Lúthien and Huan continued gazing upon each other as she walked closer. Lúthien, however, felt no fear, and Huan felt increasing love for her the more he watched her approach and the closer she came to him. In that hour, even before formal introductions, they became the best of friends everlasting.

When Lúthien came to Huan, she began scratching him behind his ears and patting him on his big head, and spoke softly so only he could hear. Huan was loving every second of their meeting when Celegorm noticed him acting strangely.

“Look at that silly hound of mine,” Celegorm said to Curufin. They both laughed. “Huan, what vexes you?”

 The other dogs had already come out of the water and begun dancing around Huan and Lúthien. Then Huan, with Lúthien following, walked slowly to them, sat down and looked up, seemingly into thin air. He then looked at the brothers, gave a short bark and looked up again. Celegorm and Curufin then realized something was strange and abruptly stood.

“Is somebody there?” Curufin asked. “Show yourself!”

“Tell me first if you are friend or foe of Morgoth, Dark Lord of Middle-earth,” said invisible-Lúthien.

“We are foes,” Curufin said.

Celegorm added, “We are Princes of the Noldor.”

Lúthien removed her robe and became visible. Both of their faces expressed disbelief of her beauty.

“Then it is well met,” said Lúthien. “That’s the best news I’ve heard in a long time.”

Curufin bows and says, “Well met, my Lady.”

Celegorm stares with enchantment. Curufin elbows him in the side. He shakes his head and bows.

“Yes, well met, my Lady,” Celegorm said. “I’m sorry for staring, but I am completely enchanted and enthralled with your overwhelming beauty. I am Celegorm, and this is my brother Curufin. We are two of Fëanor’s seven sons.” He hoped that this beauty would show that she was impressed by their name, but she was not. She was too busy befriending Huan. “The hound whom you pet is Huan the Great, given to me by Oromë in the Blessed Realm.”

“I am Lúthien daughter of King Thingol and Queen Melian of Doriath. What are you doing here?” Lúthien asked.

“We’re…,” Curufin starts but is interrupted by Celegorm. “We are hunting wolves of Sauron. He has sent many into the Kingdom of Nargothrond to spy out the lands. We slew ten today.” Attempting to again sound impressive, he boasted, “I bettered my brother today, seven to three. We now rest before returning to the Caverns of Narog.” It seemed the more words he tried to impress her with the more Lúthien paid attention to Huan.

“Then you know of King Felagund and the group he traveled with to the north,” Lúthien said. “There is a Man named Beren with him and ten other Elves of Nargothrond.”

“No, for we have been staying at Amon Rûdh,” Celegorm said, “leaving from there many days ago. Why, are there troubles?”

If Lúthien would have looked at Huan at that moment and seen her new friend’s confused expression, she would have known Celegorm was lying.

Lúthien said, “Yes, the group has been captured by Sauron, and they’re in a dungeon of Tol-in-Gaurhoth. Please, can you help me; for I’m on my way there to aid them.”

“You, alone?” asked Curufin.

“Of course, we will,” said Celegorm. “Stay here and continue petting Huan while my brother and I take a short counsel.”

Leaving Lúthien and the hounds, the brothers walk behind a large tree near their horses.

“I’m sorry I interrupted you, my brother,” said Celegorm, “but I want this Elven-maid. Can you imagine the power I would gain if I was to marry Thingol’s daughter, the most beautiful in all the lands; a daughter of a Maia? People would pay just to enter my kingdom. I would become one of the mightiest Princes of the Noldor; and you with me, little brother.”

“And how do you suppose you’re going to make all this happen?” asked Curufin.

“With your help, of course. We must not yet reveal our knowledge of Felagund and Beren, nor of the Quest. We will have her come with us to the Caverns. There we shall imprison her, letting Felagund and Beren perish. Also, I will send messengers to Thingol with forceful words for her hand to be placed in mine in marriage; and if necessary, I will send all our brothers and their armies to make war against him.”

“It all sounds good, but are you sure about this?”

“Don’t say a word; let me speak with her.”

They return to Lúthien and the hounds.

“My Lady,” Celegorm said, “we feel it would not be wise for just the three of us to rush in to meet Sauron and his servants on his island. Therefore, we counsel that you come with us to the Caverns of Narog, where we can gather troops and weapons to assist us.”

“I suppose that would be best,” she said. “How long do you think it will take, for they have not much time?”

“Not long at all. Trust me.”

Celegorm and Curufin smile; and although she feels uncomfortable regarding the brothers, she also feels she doesn’t have a better option.

*****

That night Lúthien looked through a locked pole-type door, and then bowed her head. Huan gave a small whine looking confused at Lúthien and the brothers. Celegorm yawned while he handed Curufin Lúthien’s robe; Curufin also yawned. He and Huan departed, but Huan couldn’t help but to look back in sorrow.

“Don’t look so sad, my Princess,” Celegorm said. “You shall grow to love me. I didn’t lie to you when I told you I was a Noldorian Prince. We are both royalty; very similar.”

“We are nothing alike,” Lúthien said. “Why are you doing this, anyway?”

“Why do you think? I would like to impress you with some long, admirable speech, but sadly it’s nothing more than power. You see, I know all about the Quest of the Silmaril; Beren’s test, is it not, to see if he’s worthy in Thingol’s eyes. The fool came here seeking Felagund’s aid through some meaningless oath. The Oath of Fëanor, however, is more powerful.”

“Do you not mean more hateful?”

“So be it. Nevertheless, the great and powerful King Finrod Felagund gave a most moving speech to his people about how Beren and his father saved his life and the lives of some of his soldiers, and how he must fulfill his oath. Then Curufin and I spoke and showed the King true power.” Here, Celegorm laughed. “We put so much fear in his people that they couldn’t turn their backs on him quick enough. Only ten others went with the two fools. Now, after you told us about their misfortune, I saw how simple it will be to rise in power, straight to the top.”

“You’re mad,” Lúthien said. “Your rise will only cause you to fall farther.”

“Mad? Fall?” Celegorm mocked. “Ha. I couldn’t have planned it better myself. Sauron will take care of Felagund, allowing us to rule this kingdom the way it should be ruled, and he will also take care of your brave little Beren, a very nice bonus. You see, my Princess, after I force your father to give me your hand in marriage, my power will increase tenfold.”

“There’s only one thing that’s going to fold: your delusions. Besides, my father will never agree to such nonsense.”

“Oh, your father will agree. If not, he will have all the sons of Fëanor and their kingdoms lay his land in ruin. What could go wrong? I know Thingol’s kingdom has the most powerful army of all in Beleriand and that bewildering Girdle of Melian, but they’re no match against all our brothers’ kingdoms. I don’t have to do a thing. Who will stop me? You? Your precious little Beren?”

“I think you’re going to be very surprised when you see who stops you.”

Huan and Curufin, joined now by his son Celebrimbor, return with two guards. Celebrimbor looks puzzled seeing Lúthien locked up.

“What is happening, father?” asked Celebrimbor. “Why is this Elven-maid locked in this room like a common prisoner?”

Curufin answered, “We are moving up in power, my son.”

“By locking up Doriath’s princess?” Curufin looks surprised. “That’s right,” Celebrimbor continued, “I know who she is; for there could be no one fairer than who I now see.”

“Sometimes you have to do some things that may not appear right, if you want something bad enough.”

“Oh, that’s wonderful fatherly advice. I don’t believe this. I will have no part of this, and I wish the two of you wouldn’t either. Release her before something terrible happens.”

Celebrimbor stomps away to his father’s calling.

“Son!… Celebrimbor!”

“Let him go,” said Celegorm. “I always knew something was wrong with Celebrimbor. It’s hard to believe he’s your child; and my nephew.”

Curufin said, “I don’t know what to do about him. I try to teach him everything I know, but he’s always got something to say about whatever I do.”

“It’s the first time I’ve seen a son become wiser than the father,” Lúthien said, “especially so young.”

Curufin smiles sarcastically at her as Celegorm instructs the guards: “Watch her. Allow only Curufin and me to speak with her.”

The guards nod.

*****

Later that night Lúthien sat in her room lit by one candle; a familiar setting, only not as high off the ground as in the house of Hirilorn. Huan walks toward Lúthien’s door. He gives a little whine, and Lúthien comes to the door to see him. The guards, one sitting on each side, also watch Huan.

“Are we supposed to stop him?” said the first guard.

“He can’t do any harm,” the second said. “It isn’t like he can speak or anything.”

Huan sits with his tongue hanging out listening to Lúthien: “Don’t look so sad; I blame you not. It’s just that I don’t know what to do. If I don’t get to Beren and the others soon, they shall surely perish; for no others know that they are imprisoned there. They are two good people. You know the kindness of Felagund from being in his kingdom; and there are none who can say anything bad about Beren. He has had a very hard life, but he remains kind with a heart as pure as mine. I felt you searching into my heart when we first met. Beren eats no flesh. He’s a friend to all birds and beasts not in Morgoth’s service. I know you two would become very good friends if the two of you would ever meet.”

Huan leaves as Lúthien watches. He shortly returns carrying her robe. He takes it to a guard sitting in his chair.

“I guess he thinks she’s cold,” he said with a yawn and takes it to Lúthien. She puts it on as the Guard returns to his chair. Huan walks slowly away. The light goes out in her room.

“Oh, Guard, could you please relight my candle?” Lúthien asked. “A breeze must have entered and extinguished it when you opened the door.”

The guard takes one of the three candles from above the door and then opens it. He walks into her room and lights the candle. He then realizes she’s not there. He runs outside and the other guard jumps up and says, “What?”

“Did she go by you?” he asked. “She’s gone!”

They look at Huan walking calmly away without looking back. Then the two guards dumbly look at each other.

*****

Minutes later outside Nargothrond’s Gate Huan and Lúthien walk behind a large tree. Lúthien removes her robe. Huan then speaks:

“We don’t have much time, my Lady.”

Lúthien said, “Huan, Great Hound of Valinor, is it not the decree of the Valar that you may speak thrice only in Middle-earth?”

“Yes, my Lady, that is true.”

“How many times have you spoken thus far?”

“This is my first, Princess Lúthien.”

“I’m so sorry that I am the reason for using one of your privileges.”

“Don’t be. This is the first time I’ve had anything worth saying. But when I read your heart, I knew that I had to help. Besides, all birds and beasts should be honored to serve Ilúvatar’s fairest. But what’s fascinating is that many don’t know that your heart is ten times fairer than you are on the outside.”

“I can’t thank you enough.”

“There is one thing I request: that chance you spoke of to meet Beren, who must be a good Man if you care for him so. I’ve always known my master’s heart is not pure, but I never thought it was this black, or I wouldn’t have led you to him. Since they have captured and imprisoned you, it seems a shadow has darkened the land and evil has come to Nargothrond.

“What’s more: Celegorm, Curufin and all the sons of Fëanor have allowed their accursed oath to go to their heads. Imprisoning you is just one of many dreadful deeds in a long list that we have no time to discuss. We now have a bit of a journey ahead of us. Therefore, my Lady, I counsel that I become your steed and you shall ride me as such.”

“I could never ask you to do that.”

“You’re not asking. This is how it must be. It’s the only way we may have a chance to save Beren and King Felagund, along with his soldiers.”

“Are you sure of this?”

“Yes. Let’s discuss this no further.”

“I don’t know what to say, except: you have found a friend beyond our deaths.”

She straddles Huan and then leans forward to hug him around his neck and kiss his cheek. Huan smiles.

“I am much honored,” he said. “Now we must be going. Therefore hold on, and I shall do my best to keep you from falling off.”

“Have you been to Tol Sirion?” Lúthien asked.

“Yes, we were returning from Sauron’s Isle when you met us. We did not enter, but we stood looking down on it for some time. I’m sure he saw us, for we made no attempt to hide. He did not send any servants; none we saw, anyhow. He was probably busy tending to the company. We should be there by dawn.”

“Dawn is only a couple hours away.”

“Thus, my last words to you at this time are: hold on tightly.”

Huan takes off, and in no time he is at a great pace. Lúthien, however, barely moves while straddled on his back.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment