Maeglin's Choice by chrissystriped

| | |

Interludes


Interlude 1

Maeglin walked beside Tuor through the streets of Vinyamar, wondering what the Man could want from him. He knew, he and Idril had readied a ship to go out to sea, now that they’d regained Hithlum and Earendil was old enough to stand on his own feet. Idril had told him that Tuor’s sea-longing had become worse and worse in the last months.

“I know we haven’t always seen eye to eye”, the Man said now, meeting his gaze. “But — if I may say so — you changed for the better.”

Maeglin huffed. “If you asked me here to insult me”, he snapped, “I will not stay to listen.”

“No!” Tuor shook his head. “That’s not what I meant at all. I’m not as good with words as you. I want to ask you for your help. Look, me and Idril are going to leave soon and I don’t know how long we’ll be at sea — a few months at least. I introduced Earendil to the leaders of every homestead and borough in Hithlum and he’s learning quickly how to lead, but he’s still young.”

“Not much younger than you, when you came to Gondolin”, Maeglin remarked.

“Yes, maybe.” Tuor smiled wryly. “And if I’m not entirely wrong, he’ll soon marry his own elven princess, but that’s not the point. He is still very young and I’d feel better, if you looked after him a little.”

“Of course I will.” Maeglin gripped Tuor’s offered hand tightly. “You have my word. I’ll keep an eye on him and help him as well as I can.”

Earendil had grown into a fine young man — whether Elda or Man wasn’t entirely clear — but he was still insecure in who he was becoming.

“Thank you.” Tuor breathed a sigh of relief. “Idril will sleep better, too, if she knows that you’ll guard him.”

Maeglin felt a warmth spread in his chest. How much had changed for the better. “Thank you”, he said again. “For giving me a second chance. I know I haven’t always treated you as I should have.”

Tuor patted his shoulder. “It’s forgotten, kinsman. You’ve fought alongside me to free my people, I’d say you made up for any misbehaviour toward me and mine.” Maeglin bowed his head to him in thanks. “You have a kind heart, Tuor. I hope, you’ll find what you seek at sea.”

 

Interlude 2

Maeglin looked up from the metal band he was polishing when he heard steps behind himself. He put the arm-ring aside — after forging so much armour, it was nice to make some jewellery for a change — and nodded at Earendil, who’d stopped in the door-frame.

“What can I do for you, nephew?”

“Uh, I…” Earendil blushed bright red as he looked down on his feet. “I wondered, if you could make me a ring… I mean, not for me. For… for Elwing.”

“An engagement ring?”, Maeglin asked and felt his heart beat quicker because he’d come to him with this request. Earendil nodded. “Of course. Want to look into my treasure box?” Maeglin winked at him and Earendil grinned, as a boy he’d loved to look through his box of uncut stones and little knick-knacks that might be used for a project.

“Yes, please!”

“Do you have an idea of what it should look like?”, Maeglin asked as he opened the wooden box. “A few. I’d like it to look forest-y, leafy, maybe a green stone?”

Maeglin nodded, his mind already at work. He picked out some tourmalines and beryls, an emerald. And a piece of jade he’d been gifted by a dwarf who’d befriended him when he’d visited Belegost with his father. He guessed the jade wouldn’t be leafy-green enough for Earendil’s tastes, but he wanted to offer it anyway — it had always felt too special to make something out of it, but he’d give it to his nephew.

“I like these”, Earendil pointed at two bright green tourmalines and Maeglin nodded to himself, based on what he’d said before, he’d expected that. He put them carefully aside and set the rest back into the box.

“I’ll draw some sketches for you, then we can talk about changes. I know it’s easier for many people to start from a basic sketch an change what is not to their liking.”

Earendil grinned widely at him. “Thank you, uncle. I know you are sought after. I’m grateful that you are making time for me.”

Maeglin smiled back at him. “Family comes first”, he answered. “You have my special attention. And I don’t have that much to do, really.”

It was true that people turned to him much more than he was used to from Gondolin, when they were looking for something specifically made for them. He was building a reputation of helping people bring their vision to life. And he liked to do it, liked to make things people cherished, but he would not boast about it.

“I’m happy for you”, he told Earendil.

He and Elwing still felt so young, but they were mature in a way few elves at their age were. Who knew how the mannish blood influenced them?

“Thank you, uncle.” Earendil hesitated. “Do you think… when do you think my parents will come back?”

“You want them there for the wedding, hm?” Earendil nodded, his eyes suspiciously bright, and Maeglin patted his arm. “I don’t know. But they’ve always come back, haven’t they?”

“Yes, but… I have a bad feeling. Every time they sail away, I fear they won’t. Father is searching for something I’m not sure he can find.”

Maeglin sometimes saw the same longing on Earendil’s face that had been on Tuor's every time he stayed to long on land. He wondered if Elwing knew about it.

“They will come back”, Maeglin said firmly, if only because he couldn’t bear the thought of never seeing Idril again.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment