Finwean Ladies Week 2021 by Kaylee Arafinwiel

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Loosely connected Finwean Ladies Week snippets written for the prompts. 

Chapter One: Indis & Miriel (mostly Indis conflicting with Feanaro, mention of Findis, small Lalwen and Nolofinwe)

Chapter Two: Findis & Lalwen (Findis protesting Lalwen's desire to follow their brothers into Exile.)

Chapter Three: Artanis & Irisse (Galadriel and Aredhel on the Helcaraxe. Fingon being a teasing brother, mention of Finrod)

Chapter Four: 

Chapter Five:

Chapter Six:

Chapter Seven:

Major Characters: Aredhel, Elves, Fëanor, Findis, Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, Galadriel, Indis, Lalwen

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Child Abuse, In-Universe Intolerance, Violence (Mild)

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 914
Posted on 7 October 2021 Updated on 7 October 2021

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Chapter One - The Stepfamily of Feanor

Nolofinwe and Lalwen as twins is my headcanon. Sibling ages here are relatively to human...Feanor is probably in his early 20's (college age), Findis is mid-adolescence, Nolofinwe and Lalwen are about four years old at most. Given what NoME has told us, or not, about timelines I'm not sure how to relate that to elven years, especially with Trees involved...

Read Chapter One - The Stepfamily of Feanor

"Will you never trust me, hinya?"

He gave her a disdainful look. "I will not. I am not thy child, either," he retorted. "I am Þerindëon, now and forever. Thou canst go sa-si with thy children, and thy husband." He scoffed.

Indis sighed as her stepson stalked away from her, and returned to her sewing room with Findis. O Miriel, what hast thy Choice wrought? "I miss thee, Miriel, my sister," she whispered, and Findis squeezed her hand.

***

"Dost thou trust me, hina?"

Nolofinwe looked up at Feanaro, his thumb in his mouth. The little boy had escaped his nurse once again, and he rather admired his elder brother, who was most definitely a grown-up and a fascinating one at that. He nodded. "Up?" he inquired, holding out his arms for Feanaro to pick him up as Finwe so often did.

Feanaro obligingly picked up his stepmother's spawn, holding the child away from him. He missed the boy's twin, Lalwen, hiding behind the nearby tapestry. She crept after Feanaro, doing her best to keep up with his long strides. It wasn't easy, but she did her best to keep her brothers in sight.

She was just in time to see Feanaro push Nolofinwe over, into the shallow water of the fountain's basin, and ran at Feanaro, screaming. "Emme! Emme!"

By the time Indis arrived to pluck her two distressed children from the water, Feanaro had gone. The Noldotari whispered a prayer of thanks to Lord Ulmo for not allowing the twins to drown. "I should never have left them alone. They are much too clever for their nurse," she wept.

Chapter Two - Sisterly Strife

This takes place at the time of the Noldor leaving Tirion for Alqualonde. Findis, eldest daughter of Finwe and Indis, has married a Vanyarin noble in service to Ingwe, Valandur Voronwion. She, of course, won't leave Valandur, while Lalwen loves Nolofinwe too much to let him leave without her.

Read Chapter Two - Sisterly Strife

"Lalwen, hina, what madness is this?" Findis Finwiel, wife of Valandur Voronwion, regarded her younger sister with her arms folded sternly. "Thou wouldst betray amme...thou wouldst follow Feanaro into--"

Crack.

Lalwen stared at her hand, then to Findis, kneeling on the flagstones, hand cupped around her bloody nose. Regret flashed across her face, and she sank to her knees before her elder sister, calling for a healer. Two ran over at once, faces white. "Nay, meldanya nette, I follow Feanaro not," she whispered. "I do this for Nolo. Whither he goest, I follow."

"Nolofinwe...Nolofinwe was left in charge of Tirion!" Findis sputtered as the healers tended to her. "He cannot leave amme! What of Anaire and their children? What of Ari and Earwen, and theirs?"

"Amme is perfectly capable of ruling Tirion, with or without Anaire's help," Lalwen replied calmly, though no less sorrowfully. "I do hope Ari stays, though. Amme deserves to have at least one of her children remain with her, and the elflings are old enough not to need a nurse any longer, I hope."

Findis glowered, and Lalwen winced.

"Nay, Findis, I did not mean..."

"I know what you meant," Findis muttered. "But Val and I will stay with her, with Uncle Ingwe's leave."

Lalwen nodded. "Val is a capable administrator - and I do not forget that you are, too. Help amme and Anaire here. Perhaps...perhaps Nolo and I will be able to come back soon."

Findis embraced Lalwen, hugging her tightly. "Take care then. Of yourself and Nolo."

"I will," Lalwen whispered. "I love thee, Finni."

"And I love thee, Lalwen," Findis murmured.

Chapter Three - Visions on the Ice

I'm unsure when Galadriel began having visions, but I headcanon that it was a gift of hers quite early on in life. She probably learned how to hone and perfect her control later on, from Melian in Doriath, but she's had it since she was young. This can be a blessing or a curse.

Read Chapter Three - Visions on the Ice

"Írissë!"

The shriek startled the siblings, and Írissë turned from Findecáno to look for Artanis, knowing that voice as well as her own. "Artanis..." The dark-haired daughter of Ñolofinwë gasped as her cousin leaped upon her, tumbling her into a pile of furs. "Artanis, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like she is doing?" Findecáno smirked, though there was a note of jealousy in his tone as well.

"Shut up, Findecáno," Írissë growled. She turned to regard Artanis, who was clinging to her as though to a lifeline. "Artanis, nettenya, art thou well?"

Artanis shook her head, and Írissë gently, carefully, moved garments aside to see the bruising all over her cousin's pale skin.

"What meanest thou by this?" Findecáno demanded. "Artanis, what dost thou here in Írissë's tent?"

"I could ask the same of thee, Findecáno," Artanis retorted. She was still shaking. "Findaráto. I need Findaráto."

Though Findecáno little liked being ordered around by his younger cousin, he could see she was in earnest. He turned and went to find the eldest son of Arafinwë at once. When they were alone, Artanis buried her face in the curve of Írissë's neck, breathing in the scent of her half-frozen hair. She shivered from more than the cold, tears falling.

"What is it, Artanis?" Írissë asked, running her fingers through Artanis' tresses, removing hints of ice here and there. "Thou canst tell me anything, nettenya."

Artanis curled into Írissë's arms, weeping. "When thou goest with Túrucáno," she whispered, "obey him, Írissë. Do not leave his demesne unguarded. Promise me, nettenya, thou wilt be safe."

Írissë gently pushed her touch-starved cousin away, studying her hungry, haunted eyes. "Of what dost thou speak, Artanis? Didst thou See something? Hast thou told me all?"

"I did, but I cannot, and I will not speak of what I do not understand," Artanis whispered. "Just...please, Írissë, remain on guard."

"I will," Írissë vowed, and when Findarato arrived, harp in hand, he played softly for the nissi, sending them both into dreamless sleep, where they might be safe. As safe as the Ice ever could be, that is.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.