Under the Curse by Finch

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Mithril Awards 2003 - Finalist - Best Silmarillion
Mithril Awards 2003 - Voter's Choice Runner-Up - Best Silmarillion

 

Silmarillion-based (but for Fingon being unmarried, see HoMe, Volume 12, The Peoples of Middle-earth: The Shibboleth of Fëanor, note 35).

Warning: Fingon/Maedhros slash. Homo-erotic content. R, to be on the safe side

Disclaimer: Characters and background all belong to Tolkien. Plot definitely doesn't, and it's quite possible it would make the Author turn in his grave once more.

 

First published July 8, 2002

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The love of two fallen Elves: Maedhros and Fingon.

Major Characters: Celegorm, Curufin, Fingolfin, Fingon, Glaurung, Maedhros, Maglor, Mandos

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings: Character Death, Sexual Content (Mild), Violence (Moderate)

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 11 Word Count: 32, 406
Posted on 23 April 2011 Updated on 23 April 2011

This fanwork is complete.

Table of Contents

 

Relation Fingon/Maedhros implied, but this is mostly about Turgon's problem.

Some preliminary remarks: I have noticed that most fanfiction writers consider Fingon to be the father of Ereinion Gil-galad, which implies he was married. But in The Shibboleth of Fëanor, (HoMe 12, The Peoples of Middle-earth) we read that Fingon had no wife or child; see also note 35 to this essay. This is the only reason why I have the evil courage to write Fingon/Maedhros slash, though I am convinced it wouldn't help me at all if I were faced with the wrath of J.R.R. Tolkien.

As for Gil-galad's parentage, Tolkien’s last word about this subject was that he was the son of Orodreth, who in his turn was the son of Angrod, and not the second son of Finarfin. To quote Christopher Tolkien: 'Much closer anylasis of the admittedly extremely complex material than I had made twenty years ago' [during the compilation of the Quenta Silmarillion] 'makes it clear that Gil-galad as the son of Fingon was an ephemeral idea' (Shibboleth of Feanor). I follow the original author's final decision in all my fanfics.

Disclaimer: Dependent on Tolkien's works.

PG-13 for some dubious language & very mild slash.

 

Based on the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.

Disclaimer: Exists only because of Tolkien. But I'm to blame for the Fingon/Maedhros pairing.

Guest star: Glaurung the Evil Urulókë or Fire-Dragon, who has come to stay for a while, I'm afraid.

Rating: R

 

Disclaimer: I'd never take myself for an original author.

Apologising to Tolkien and glancing sideways at Lord Byron (who'll spot the allusion?)

 

I'd like to thank everyone who has reviewed one or more (or all!) stories in this series; your feedback is greatly appreciated! … Here, the POV is still Fingon's; in the next one it will- inevitably - shift to Maedhros. I dread the moment I'll have to deal with the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, but on the other hand, I'm definitely losing my grip on Fingon; he's becoming fey.

Warning: In an author bio I read that Fingon/Maedhros slash is icky, written by sick people. That's why I had to insert the R-scene into this story, even if it's perhaps not entirely functional. On the other side, it may well be the main characters' last moment of pleasure, so...

 

Tolkien owns most of the characters, but Coiriel is mine.

Texts between ... ... are taken from the Curse of Mandos.

 

The Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Part 1

 

Innumerable Tears Part 2

 

This chapter is dedicated to Tyellas, in gratitude - may you continue to write inspirational stories and essays!

 

To all my faithful reviewers, and to the memory of Dante Alighieri, whose Divina Commedia left its traces in the last chapters of Under the Curse, though I am not worthy to tie his sandal straps.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.