Full of Wisdom and Perfect in Beauty by Gadira

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Fanwork Information

Summary:

The History of the Downfall, from Ar Sakalthôr's accession to Ar Pharazôn's Armada. EPILOGUE: In Middle-earth, life begins anew, and hope lies hidden in the most unlikely places. Story now complete.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), Original Male Character(s), Amandil, Ar-Gimilzór, Ar-Pharazôn, Elendil, Isildur, Tar-Míriel, Tar-Palantir

Major Relationships: Ar-Pharazôn/Tar-Míriel, Original Character/Original Character, Amandil & Ar-Pharazôn, Anárion & Isildur, Isildur/Tal-Elmar, Amandil & Númendil, Amandil & Elendil, Amandil & Original Character, Ar-Pharazôn & Original Character, Ar-Gimilzôr & Tar-Palantir, Ar-Pharazôn & Sauron

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, General, Het, Horror, Romance, Slash/Femslash

Challenges:

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Animal Abuse, Character Death, Expletive Language, In-Universe Racism/Ethnocentrism, Incest, Mature Themes, Rape/Nonconsensual Sex, Sexual Content (Mild), Suicide, Torture, Violence (Moderate)

Chapters: 159 Word Count: 1, 003, 532
Posted on 6 June 2007 Updated on 26 September 2021

This fanwork is complete.

Full of Wisdom (Intro)

Read Full of Wisdom (Intro)

"O Tyre, you have said, I am perfect in beauty.'
Your borders are in the heart of the seas; your builders made perfect your beauty.
They made all your planks of fir trees from Senir; they took a cedar from Lebanon to make a mast for you.
Of oaks of Bashan they made your oars; they made your deck of pines from the coasts of Cyprus, inlaid with ivory.
Of fine embroidered linen from Egypt was your sail, serving as your ensign; blue and purple from the coasts of Eli'shah was your awning.
The inhabitants of Sidon and Arvad were your rowers; skilled men of Zemer were in you, they were your pilots.
The elders of Gebal and her skilled men were in you, caulking your seams; all the ships of the sea with their mariners were in you, to barter for your wares. Persia and Lud and Put were in your army as your men of war; they hung the shield and helmet in you; they gave you splendor.
The men of Arvad and Helech were upon your walls round about, and men of Gamad were in your towers; they hung their shields upon your walls round about; they made perfect your beauty.
Tarshish trafficked with you because of your great wealth of every kind; silver, iron, tin, and lead they exchanged for your wares.
Javan, Tubal, and Meshech traded with you; they exchanged the persons of men and vessels of bronze for your merchandise.
Beth-togar'mah exchanged for your wares horses, war horses, and mules.
The men of Rhodes traded with you; many coastlands were your own special markets, they brought you in payment ivory tusks and ebony.
Edom trafficked with you because of your abundant goods; they exchanged for your wares emeralds, purple, embroidered work, fine linen, coral, and agate.
Judah and the land of Israel traded with you; they exchanged for your merchandise wheat, olives and early figs, honey, oil, and balm.
Damascus trafficked with you for your abundant goods, because of your great wealth of every kind; wine of Helbon, and white wool,
and wine from Uzal they exchanged for your wares; wrought iron, cassia, and calamus were bartered for your merchandise.
Dedan traded with you in saddlecloths for riding.
Arabia and all the princes of Kedar were your favored dealers in lambs, rams, and goats; in these they trafficked with you.
The traders of Sheba and Ra'amah traded with you; they exchanged for your wares the best of all kinds of spices, and all precious stones, and gold.
Haran, Canneh, Eden, Asshur, and Chilmad traded with you.
These traded with you in choice garments, in clothes of blue and embroidered work, and in carpets of colored stuff, bound with cords and made secure; in these they traded with you.
The ships of Tarshish traveled for you with your merchandise. "

So you were filled and heavily laden in the heart of the seas.
Your rowers have brought you out into the high seas. The east wind has wrecked you in the heart of the seas.
Your riches, your wares, your merchandise, your mariners and your pilots, your caulkers, your dealers in merchandise, and all your men of war who are in you, with all your company that is in your midst, sink into the heart of the seas on the day of your ruin.
At the sound of the cry of your pilots the countryside shakes,
and down from their ships come all that handle the oar. The mariners and all the pilots of the sea stand on the shore
and wail aloud over you, and cry bitterly. They cast dust on their heads and wallow in ashes;
they make themselves bald for you, and gird themselves with sackcloth, and they weep over you in bitterness of soul, with bitter mourning.
In their wailing they raise a lamentation for you, and lament over you: Who was ever destroyed like Tyre in the midst of the sea?
When your wares came from the seas, you satisfied many peoples; with your abundant wealth and merchandise you enriched the kings of the earth.
Now you are wrecked by the seas, in the depths of the waters; your merchandise and all your crew have sunk with you.
All the inhabitants of the coastlands are appalled at you; and their kings are horribly afraid, their faces are convulsed.
The merchants among the peoples hiss at you; you have come to a dreadful end and shall be no more for ever.'"

(Ezekiel, XXVII)

Author's Note: #1 This fic is very long. And I mean very, very long. It´s divided by arcs, and covers the reigns of the four last kings of Númenor before the Downfall (Ar-Sakalthôr, Ar-Gimilzôr, Tar-Palantír and Ar-Pharazôn).

#2 The historical and cultural elements of this fic have been a) invented, b) adapted or c) transformed from a certain number of civilisations. However, I am not trying to mirror any of those civilisations in a total sense (obviously, since this would exclude the others) or even in a partial one, with the faithfulness of an historian. I am just using their elements for my own purposes.

#3 The most “obvious” of those civilisations (or at last the one that will become more obvious at a later point) is one I think was very much in Tolkien´s own thoughts for a number of reasons. AFAIK, no one has ever reached this same conclusion, though I could be wrong.  So feel free to be shocked and disagree with me.

#4 The Thorny Canon Issue: First and foremost, yes, I am following canon, at least a good 98% of it. There are some changes, and one or two divergences. The main one is no doubt the date and nature of the exile(s) of the Faithful, an issue that wasn´t too clear in Tolkien´s own mind. The second is a divergence from the Akallabêth (the nature of the relationship between Ar-Pharazôn and Ar-Zimraphel), but it follows the information given by Tolkien in HoME XII: The Peoples of Middle-Earth.

Otherwise, I have built personalities for the characters, filled historical, religious and cultural gaps, and found solutions for the problems that Tolkien´s text presented for me as a writer. All those are my own, and might feel a bit unusual at times.

#5 Completion: I have written many chapters already, and planned everything until the end. However, I have been on and off this for 13 years now, and it is still not finished. I have abandoned the story for years, then returned to it. I promise I will finish it, but I cannot promise when or how.

Warnings: there is sex (sometimes of debatable consent), incest, murder, suicide and human sacrifice.

Disclaimers: The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales and HoME XII belong to Tolkien.

 

Prologue: Child of Men

Read Prologue: Child of Men

“Elwen! Elwen!”

The Elf-woman stood up, closing her eyes to take a deep breath of the salty breeze of the Sea. Then, tenuously, she opened them again, and took everything in her sight.

The sand under her feet shone with a faint luminiscence, covered by a spreading white foam whenever a wave overtook her steps. Huge treetops loomed in the distance, emerald green and red from the fruits that hung upon their branches. Birds of many kinds sang in clear tones, calling for their mates and flying from one tree to another.

Tears flowed down her cheeks. The intensity of the colours dazzled her. She came from a fading world, and now she couldn´t look at any of those brilliant things without a searing-hot feeling of pain. In the morbidness of a single moment, a thought crept inside her mind, I will not be able to live here anymore.

“Elwen!”

The man finally reached her, and threw his arms around her shaking body. She pushed her head against his chest, searching for a refuge in the comfortable darkness.

“You came...”

“I came.” she nodded, smelling the scent that she had almost forgotten in her long years of solitude, a pale shadow lingering in Middle-Earth for the sake of a kin who had been too stubborn for their own good. “I missed you.”

His head moved above hers, and she imagined that he was nodding. Feeling like a little child, she allowed him to manouevre her and guide her blind steps towards the welcoming warmth of the shore. There, they sat upon a mound of fine sand, and Elwen dared to open her eyes for the second time.

Blue. An onslaught of blue assaulted her, dazzling blue, and white. She turned towards him, and saw that his eyes were shining as he laid them upon her. Did hers shine still, as well? Or had their spark been quenched, like the bright colours of the world beyond those shores had dimmed under the breath of the Shadow?

Shaking still, she rested her head against his shoulder.

“You were delayed.” he muttered, caressing her hair. A memory began to pierce through the haze in her mind, and she pulled closer to him.

“Yes.” she nodded. “I was.”

Almost against her own will, her glance became lost in the distance, but there was no trace of a star-shaped island in the horizon. He frowned curiously. His hand touched her neck, and the frown increased.

“You do not wear it anymore.”

“No.”

“What happened?”

Elwen could no longer keep her remembrances at bay. Slowly, she fixed her eyes on his, and laid her hands over his before her lips curved to utter a single name.

“Inzilbêth.”

The images began to flow.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The wind had already started blowing harder before the island was in sight. But it had been only after Númenor fell to her left that the sky darkened.

Elwen had never seen a tempest in the Great Sea, and the spectacle frightened her. Giant waves towered over her small boat, and the wind howled in her ears even after she covered them with her hands and huddled upon the wooden planks, seized by an unknown and shameful kind of panic. The Noldor had fought the Shadow, but the wrath of Ossë did not even leave her the small mercy of a sword to defend herself with.

One of the waves crashed inside the ship, with a roar of foam and darkness. Elwen was thrown overboard, in spite of her attempts to grab anything solid within reach of her blind thrashing. Her cries were smothered by water, as the ship that was never meant to collapse continued its voyage, drawing farther and farther from her.

Terrified, she struggled not to be engulfed by the fathomless depth under her feet. She prayed to all the Valar that she had once forsaken to keep her alive, but the current pulled her away like a broken toy, swiftly, inexorably, and it was too late.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Solid. There was something solid under her back. Gratefully, she leaned back as hard as she could, and realised that it did not move.

Ground. She felt cushioned, safe. The embers of a fire cracked softly somewhere in a near distance. A hand touched her forehead, and she shook in surprise.

Inmediately, the hand pulled back. With great efforts, Elwen opened her eyes, and forced them to focus while feeling the painful throbbing in her head.

It was a cave. She was in a cave, faintly lit by a small hearth that lay almost at an arm´s reach from her couch. A girl was staring at her from a distance, shaking and looking like she was ready to bolt away. In her eyes, however, widened by fear as they were, Elwen was  able to read an overconsuming curiosity, and she knew that she would stay.

Small and dim. The girl was not an Elf, but one of the Secondborn. She should be one of the folk of Númenor, the proud island where no Elf was welcome, but there was no malice to be found in her. And she had tended to her wounds, she realised as her eyes fell upon a bandage in her chest.

“You will not... kill me. Will you?” her saviour asked. Elwen´s glance betrayed a faint surprise, but it disappeared as she perceived the ardent hope in her tone and in her whole being, coming to her in waves. Where could such an  intensity come from?

“I will not kill you, child of Men.” she muttered, her voice hoarse and weak. The girl stared at her in amazement, then smiled warmly and relaxed.

“I know. I always knew. You are not evil.”

Elwen leaned back, inviting her to come closer again. She wanted to bask in her warmth, and forget the sudden images of dead Telerin mariners thrown over the seashore.

The girl obeyed at once, as if pulled by a strong, enchanting force. Slowly, she lifted her hand, and hesitantly touched her forehead.

“I... I found you unconscious, on the shore. If you... stay with me, I will take care of you.”

“Will your people attack me if they find me?” the Elf asked, guessing her thoughts. The girl shook her head, avoiding her glance.

“Nobody comes here.” she muttered at last. And then, shyly. “My... name is Inzilbêth, Fair One.”

The Noldo smiled at her. She had never seen such innocence in this marred world before, and it reminded her of what she had been once, in Valinor. She felt drawn towards the girl, small and insignificant as she was.

“I am Elwen.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

True to her promise, Inzilbêth nursed her back to health, coming every day to change her bandages, bring her food, and watch her eat with a look of sheer wonder in her eyes. She never spoke unless asked, showing the same reverence that the first Men who entered Beleriand had shown the Elves who found them in their path. Every day, Elwen asked her kindly about her family and life, and so learned that she had been saved by the niece of the mighty lord of Andunië, leader of the party of the Elf-Friends on the island. They were in his lands, “and none will ever harm you here”, the girl assured her many times, as if afraid that she would feel threatened and disappear in a whirl.

Elwen, however, did not disappear. Even after her wounds had been tended and she became hale, even after she had built herself a new ship with Inzilbêth´s dedicated aid, she still lingered in the cave, unable to pry away from the innocent eyes of that girl. Though Inzilbêth was not aware of it herself, those eyes were asking for help.

One night, she had a dream where Inzilbêth was swallowed by a wave, crying her name. Elwen tried to stretch her hand and reach to her, but she could not save her from the pull of the current. The morning after this, the girl came singing with a food basket in her hands, and Elwen saw a dark shadow haunting her footsteps. She shivered, not knowing very well why.

One day, the girl ventured to tell her the sad story of the Faithful of Númenor, her features veiled by sadness. Elwen listened in understanding silence, laying a hand over her shoulder.

“They say that Elves are monsters. That they have the power to do terrible things, and that they have done them in the past.” Inzilbêth looked down, in barely concealed anger. “They are so wrong!”

Elwen shook her head, allowing her eyes to become lost in the flames of the hearth.

“We have done terrible things.” she said, after a long pause. The girl turned a bewildered glance in her direction.

“You are not evil!”

The Elf flinched at the desperate edge in her tone. Again. It felt like she needed that belief to carry on, to survive in a world where one belief warred against another. Good, evil. Allies and enemies. Faithful.

Traitors.

“No, I am not evil. I am a Child of Ilúvatar, and so are you.” she said in her gentlest voice, caressing the side of her face as she did so. Little by little, the girl leaned to her touch. “We are free to follow our hearts, and this makes us capable of the greatest deeds, and also of the greatest evils. We, the Noldor, are like you, child of Men, but our deeds are higher and our evil more terrible, since the Creator gave us a greater power.”

Inzilbêth nodded hesitantly to this, her features clouded by the first doubts of a growing maturity. Elwen smiled, though deep inside her heart broke upon seeing the girl´s purity disminished.

That day, she began telling her stories of the First Age, and of the Downfall of the Noldor.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

She had been there for little less than nine months, when Inzilbêth sought her one morning. Elwen did not even have to look at her, before an unbearable anguish exploded inside her mind. She reeled back from the impact.

“What happened?” she asked, laying down the block of wood that she had been carving with a knife. The girl reached her side in quick strides, and threw herself on her arms without saying a word.

“Calm down, child.” Elwen whispered in her ear, willing her tone to be soothing. The girl´s body convulsed with sobs. “What happened?”

After several moments, a muffled voice finally answered her.

“I- I am marrying the King´s son.”

Marrying? The Elf´s body went rigid from shock. But she was a child!

Maybe their customs were different, since they were allowed only a short span of time under the light of the Sun, she tried to reason. And yet...

“And, do you love him?” she asked, touching her dark hair. Inzilbêth shook her head with violence.

“I... I have never seen him, ever! The marriage is a political arrangement... a hateful political arrangement!!”

At these words, the Elf´s heart went out more than ever for the stricken young girl in her arms. Elves married for love- she tried to imagine the bleakness of a life bound to the soul of a stranger, barren for eternity, and failed. There was cruelty in the very concept, like in that sinister old legend of the Elves who were forced to bend their souls to Morgoth and become Orcs against their will. For a moment, she wondered in alarm if Inzilbêth would fade from the pain of the intrusion and leave this world –but the Secondborn could not fade.

They could not even escape.

“Life is a path full of unknown turns. You may learn to love him in time...” she muttered, but her voice came out with a forced tone, devoid of any comforting power.

What did she know? What could she say? For the first time in her life she felt powerless in front of a mortal girl, and she closed her mouth, ashamed.

“He does not like my people. He hates Elves and Elf-friends!”

Elwen shook her head helplessy, and let her cry undisturbed. Two birds were singing in the branch over her heads, their song shrill and clear.

At some point, the girl´s sobs subsided, and she clumsily tried to get up. Elwen withdrew her arms at once, and stared at the small, so very human soaked face, red and puffed from crying so much.

And then, it happened.

First, it was nothing but the song of the birds, growing more and more confuse inside her ear until it turned  into a roar. Then, however, Inzilbêth´s features began to recede, and between them both, she saw a great wave like the one in her dream, rising over hills, mountains and pastures.

A hand grasped hers, as if frantically trying to pull her back to her reality. In an involuntary movement, it brought it close to the girl´s belly, and Elwen felt it grow suddenly cold. An image flashed in her sight, of two serpents that issued from the womb and started fighting each other.

And Inzilbêth´s frightened glance.

“What is it? Elwen! Please!”

Elwen blinked, and grabbed her hand to find a way back. She must have gone pale.

“I saw...” she began, but then let her voice trail away and shook her head. She could not tell her what she had seen. She was not even sure herself.

And still...

“Take this.” she said in an impulse, taking the silver chain from her neck and offering it to the girl. The silver was wrought with an emerald, and it had been crafted by her husband when he asked for her hand. She had worn it while she crossed the Helcaraxë, as well as in Beleriand till the end of the War of the Jewels, relishing in the warm comfort of the love that had made it. When it came away, she felt cold and bereaved, but still she pressed it against Inzilbêth´s hand.

“I... cannot accept..” the girl protested weakly. She shook her head. She knew that she was doing the right thing, even if the reasons escaped her own comprehension.

“Take this, Child of Men.” she repeated, trying to banish the dread that had clouded her fëa when she had looked into her eyes.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

This was the last time that she had ever seen Inzilbêth. When the girl did not return, Elwen understood that she had been claimed by her inevitable fate, and fled the island in the boat that she had built with her help. A pair of oars allowed her to travel far from the shore without displaying conspicuous sails, and once that Númenor was left behind, a swift current began pushing her towards Tol Eressëa.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He stared at her, in thoughtful silence. His hands travelled down her neck, absently drawing the shapes of his lost handiwork.

“I will make another one for you.” he finally offered, sealing his pledge with a kiss.

She nodded with a small smile, but soon tore her eyes away from him, to search the horizon again for the island that now lay beyond her sight. She imagined a pair of lightless eyes at the other side of the Sea, looking at the same waves without joy or hope... and behind them, a greater wave of growing darkness.

Danger.

“Be safe, Child of Men.” she muttered, joining her hands as if in prayer.

 

A Controversial Wedding

Read A Controversial Wedding

Year 3033 of the Second Age- 2nd year of the reign of Ar-Sakalthôr

 

Too young. Not ready to meddle in politics and much less to do it effectively. As a spy there wasn´t much she could do, as well –not like this, cut away from her relatives and their lackeys.

Inzilbêth seemed to notice that he was watching her from the other side of the hall, because her small fingers began fidgeting nervously with the flame red veil that covered her face. Next to her, her uncle was talking to a couple of courtiers, who nodded in silence to everything that he said.

“Those fools would not even have looked at him two years ago.” a scathing voice remarked at his side. Gimilzôr gave a brief bow to the tall and lanky figure of Ar-Sakalthôr, and repressed the sudden urge to frown.

“Indeed, my King. Indeed.”

Last year, as his father became King, Gimilzôr had reached the much contested decision to restore the Lords of Andunië to their old lands. Worrying news were constantly coming from the East, of plots and sedition and exchanges of treasonous messages with the king of the Elves, and he had thought that to have Eärendur and his family back in Armenelos, though humiliating, would enable a closer form of control over their actions and tear them away from their support. To this day, father and son had not wholly reconciled over that move, and when he had decided to marry the niece of the man in question –a convenable façade for the unexpected change of politics, asides from a hostage for the Palace-, the King had resolved to oppose the match and even refused to attend the wedding.

Gimilzôr shook his head, remembering how they had fought back then. His father had refused to see the logic in his actions, and told him that the greatest fool was the man who was fooled twice over while thinking himself clever. Gimilzôr had listened patiently, then said that he would do as he pleased in this matter or leave Númenor to its fate in Ar-Sakalthôr´s hands. It had been the first time that he had allowed himself to directly threaten the King in this strain, but he was certain that he was following the correct path.

The same morning of the ceremony, however, as he went to pay his customary visit to his father in his gardens, he had found him tending to his vegetables, and in quite a friendly mood. A carefully prying conversation had convinced Gimilzôr that he could take the risk of inviting him to the wedding again. So in the end he had come, and his son had been unable since the beginning of the evening to leave his side or talk to anyone, watching over him lest he would say something inappropriate in front of the wrong person.

“She is too young.” he was saying now, in a thoughtful tone.

Gimilzôr nodded, distracted. His new wife had been left alone on a chair close to a heavily laden table, and she was staring in silence at the people who talked and laughed around her. Though he could not see her face, everything from the nervous movement of her fingers to her slightly hunched pose, as if she was cowering from an unseen threat of a blow, helped him to picture her uneasiness in a place full of strangers, who seemed to have forgotten about her existence after one or two appraising looks. She had grown up in the forests of Andustar until recently, he remembered  - she might well not be used to company and the refined civilisation of Armenelos.

Repressing an unseemly feeling of sympathy, he looked in the other direction. There, next to the window in the corner, he could spot Zarhâd, lord of Sorontil and the Northern lands of Forostar, one of the strongest allies of the Sceptre. A woman was talking to him, and Gimilzôr assumed it had to be his daughter Zarhil, subject of countless rumours throughout the Island. She owned her own ship, and it was whispered that she had sailed far North, where the ships of Númenor did not go since the times of King Aldarion. He had also heard that she could not stay away from the Sea for long, because she was tormented by strong pangs of sea-longing.

This was certainly a strange trait, if maybe not wholly unbelievable, since she could claim ancestry from Aldarion, Sea-luster, bad husband and even worse King. And yet, Gimilzôr´s curiosity was aroused in spite of himself by all the stories surrounding that kind of she-Elf. After a moment of thought, he made a gesture to one of the courtiers who was standing nearby, and sent him downstairs to summon them – and then, he turned a wary look in the direction of the King.

Ar-Sakalthôr was still sitting on his throne, drinking from a goblet of wine. A shadow had fallen over his features, and his son could perceive his morose mood from afar. His eyes stared stormily at those who were merrymaking under his feet, but he did not say a word.

This meant that soon he would wish to retire, Gimilzôr thought in relief. He had always liked solitude, which had helped his son enormously in last year´s endeavours to make the people of Númenor believe that they were ruled by a capable man. Those who lived in distant lands received the decisions of the Sceptre without asking who was behind them; the people of Armenelos were kept away from the palace, and the lords´s inquisitiveness had been tightly controlled by Gimilzôr´s set of complicated protocol rules, which had also enabled him to control the Court as no crowned head had done before.

Unwilling to leave him wholly unsupervised, however, even in this state, he took the precaution of calling a chamberlain to keep the King company. That man seemed somehow to have a soothing effect on him, maybe because he shared his love for gardening. He would keep the old fool busy enough with some talk about turnips.

Immediately after thinking this, Gimilzôr shook his head, and cursed under his breath. He did not –could not- think of his father in those terms. It made everything even more difficult.

Sometimes, if he tried, he was able to summon some foggy remembrances of a time when Ar-Sakalthôr had been a capable man, a strong person that his young son could admire and rely on. The eccentricities had begun at some point, he supposed, even though he couldn´t clearly remember when, ever growing in folly and intensity until they couldn´t be rationalised anymore. And then, the fits...

Ar-Zimrathôn, Gimilzôr´s grandfather, had been the first to give it a name, even as he struggled in his bed against the Doom of Men. As soon as he had known that he would lose the battle, he had summoned him to his side, and told him that his father´s spirit was posessed by a Curse, and that he would have left the Sceptre to Gimilzôr if the laws had allowed and the scandal could have been averted. At the same time as the heavy responsibility of ruling in someone else´s stead had fallen upon his shoulders, Gimilzôr had thus learned that his father´s strange behaviour had a name –a Curse, the doing of the evil spirits of the West.

“The lord of Sorontil waits for leave to approach the Throne.” a whisper took him out of his moping. He gave the bowing man a nod.

“He may approach.” he said. His glance fell down to the feet of the stairs, where Zarhâd and his daughter were waiting for his permission, and appraised them as they came closer and bowed, she three feet farther than him.

“You may raise your head.” he told them. At once, she sought his look, and his eyes widened slightly in quickly repressed surprise.

That woman seemed to feel uncomfortable with refined ceremonials, and overdid every movement that she copied from her father, but there was no coyness in her glance. And, what shocked Gimilzôr even more, there was nothing in her of that famous morbid Elvish blood that wasted away pining for the sea. She was plain-looking, almost like the wives of the barbarians of Middle-Earth. Her skin, hardened by the elements, provided a strong contrast with her silk green dress, and her movements were brusque and ungainly.

“We humbly offer our best wishes in the auspicious event of your wedding day.” her father recited. He was a strong and battle-hardened man, and the Prince could see that his features were similar to his daughter´s. But then, -unless one was talking about Elves, of course- what was unusual for a woman looked quite natural in the countenance of a man.

She nodded.

“Might you be the Lady Zarhil?” he inquired, addressing her directly. “I had heard much about you, but I had never seen you myself until today.”

Zarhâd looked a bit flustered at those words –could he think that, after fulfilling his duties of alternate attendance in Armenelos for five years his daughter´s reputation had not reached the Throne?

“That is certainly true.” she replied, with another nod. She seemed about to add something else, but his father looked at her and she fell silent.

Gimilzôr was more curious than ever.

“Is it true what they say, that you have inherited the sea-longing of King Aldarion?”

Now, it was the lord of Sorontil who seemed at the brink of opening his mouth. If he ever began to form a word, however, it was immediately overshadowed by his daughter´s loud laughter.

“Sea-longing!” she repeated, shaking her head. “Now, that´s a big word if I ever heard one!”

“Zarhil!” her father muttered, scandalised.

“I have been to places where no one has been since Aldarion´s time.” she continued, encouraged by Gimilzôr´s silence. “I have seen islands made of ice in the North, and the sun rising in a blaze of green light. That is why I like sailing, not because there is a... strange sickness inside me. I apologise if this offends my lord the Prince, but those rumours are bullshit.”

Zarhâd´s face had gone almost as white as the ice islands his daughter had mentioned.

“If I may, I would wish to apologise for my daughter´s insolence.” he said in one single breath. “It is the first time that she comes to Armenelos, and she is not used to...”

“Never mind that.” Gimilzôr cut him with a gesture of his hand. Far from offending him, her attitude almost wrung a smile from the usually expressionless mask of his face. He could not believe how the people who had whispered those things could be so foolish: now that he had heard her speak, it seemed to him that she possessed enough common sense to make light of seven Curses. And this was something that would certainly come in handy for the people who inhabited the Palace those days.

For a moment, he even pondered briefly the idea of persuading his father to remarry and make her his queen, in spite of the daunting age difference that would reduce the gap between Inzilbêth and him to a mere trifle.

“Is the... King faring well?” Zarhâd immediately asked, still a little out of his depths. Gimilzôr turned his head towards the throne, where Ar-Sakalthôr had already stood up to take the door to his chambers, side by side with his chamberlain –fortunately, without staggering under the influence of the wine.

“He is well.” The people downstairs hadn´t even realised yet that he had left. “But a good King cannot forget matters of governance because of a mere party.”

“I see.” the man nodded immediately. Gimilzôr made a gesture of dismissal.

“I am glad to have met your worthy daughter. Tomorrow we expect you at the Council.”

The lord of Sorontil bowed and took his leave, obviously a little too relieved. As soon as they had left his vicinity, Gimilzôr saw a heated argument break between him and the lady Zarhil.

Glad that the coast had been cleared, he allowed himself a moment of weakness in which he took a deep breath, and then told a servant to summon the lord of Andúnië.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“I plan to retire in short, and I intend my wife to come with me, as it is natural.” he explained, as soon as Eärendur had reached his side, bowed, and dared to ask the reason for the summons. Behind him, Inzilbêth advanced a careful step, and almost tripped over the folds of the veil. “So I will finally see if there is truth in the rumour that she has a star-shaped black birthmark over her face.”

Eärendur chuckled at the joke, as comfortably as if they had been friends for all their lives. Gimilzôr had already become used to interviews with him during the past year, and reserved for them the pleasant, jolly mood that would have made an intelligent man´s blood curdle in his veins. And yet Eärendur always picked the cue and followed it easily enough –so easily, in fact, that he often surpassed him at his own game, his sea-grey eyes gleaming with sparks of nearly genuine mirth. Like all his ancestors, he was a master of deceit.

And too clever for their own good, Gimilzôr added in his mind as he recalled the full history of the Lords of Andúnië. Since the reign of Tar-Atanamir, those opportunists had been Elf-friends –a commercially if not socially advantageous course at the time-, and amassed a fabulous wealth from their monopoly of trade with the Elven realms. Until, soon enough, it became apparent that it was political influence they really were after. By their wealth and lineage, they became leaders of the men who had been cursing the name of the Kings in secret for a time, but who hadn´t done anything of notice before they were there to direct them and offer them a safe haven in the lands of Andustar to conspire against the royal designs. It had been a very habile move; to use a minor disagreement over languages and religious policies to become a major political force. Purposefully they kept bestowing ancient, raspy sounding Elven names on themselves, and claimed the title of preservers of true tradition. Still, their perfidy had recoiled from the highest treason, until Ar-Abattârik´s death had given them the chance to seize the Sceptre that they had been yearning after for so long.

Ar-Abattârik had been married to a Queen from the line of Elros, beautiful yet barren. No offspring had come from their union, and yet the King had sired a son on another woman, one of the Palace´s maids. It would seem natural that he would be the heir to the Sceptre, but the Doom had crept over his father unnoticed, in his sleep, and it had been custom in Númenor until that day that a King would name his successor before he died.

Discord raged in the Palace and the Council of Armenelos for months after the royal burial. The Lord of Andúnië stepped out of his hypocritical meek role and claimed that the existence of a bastard was abhorrent according to the Laws and Customs of the Elder Race, which Númenor had honoured since the times of their first king. The son of the King was therefore unfit to rule, and upholding Tar-Aldarion´s laws on female inheritance the legitimate successor was Ar-Abattarik´s eldest niece, the Lady Alissha -an Elf-friend like them. Civil strife ensued, cleverly disguised under religious pretences. All the hidden Elf-friends came forth and rushed to the support of the would-be usurper, many others were seduced by her Elven riches, and the rightful heir, devoid of support and alone, would have perished were it not for his natural resources and bravery of spirit. Refusing to surrender to his powerful enemies, he took their cue instead, and learned from them how to fight that war with their own weapons. He proclaimed that Númenor was a kingdom of Men and should be governed by the laws of Men, who had bastards when they couldn´t produce a male heir by their wives. Through incendiary speeches, he made the people in the capital and the whole of Mittalmar understand the dangers of letting the Elf-lovers seize the throne, destroy the temples and persecute all those who prayed to the gods of the men of Númenor. Seized by a religious zeal, the courage of those men had finally awakened, and they expelled and defeated the Elf-friends from Armenelos.

Retribution had been swift after those disorders. The new King, who gave himself the name of Ar-Adunakhôr and proclaimed proudly that there was no other Lord of the West than the King of Númenor, had deprived his enemies of their titles, lands, wealth, and seats at the Council, and banished them to the East of the island. He had killed many of their supporters, and banished others to Middle-Earth. His rival was convicted of treason, and imprisoned for life in the Northern region. And, still not happy with this, he established that whoever would speak of anything that the Elves had said, thought, touched or made in his presence or that of his servants would suffer the same fate.

Once that the cancer had been extirpated, Númenor had flourished like never before. True to his promise, Ar-Adunakhôr had passed a new law code, built magnificent temples, spent the lavish sums that he had taken from his enemies in encouraging Adûnaic letters, undertook brilliant expeditions in Middle-Earth, and died leaving a kingdom whose splendour was unparalleled even in the annals of their own people to his day.

And that was why it was so vexing, Gimilzôr could not help but think, that this brilliance hadn´t been extended to the rest of his line. As the King´s descendants had diminished, the Lords of Andúnië had kept their wits intact under adversity, and now he, the great-grandson of Ar-Adunakhôr, was forced to lower himself to keep polite discussions with that snake who had returned from exile barely a year ago.

At least, he thought, he would never lower his guard.

“I assure you that she is quite charming, my lord prince.” Eärendur protested, turning back to look at his niece. Aware that they were talking about her, Inzilbêth had turned back to her fidgeting.

“Come.” he said, extending his hand towards her. She stared at him from under her veil, as if trying to guess what she was supposed to do, then answered his gesture shyly. Her hand was small and pale as ivory. “You are dismissed, Lord Eärendur.”

Nodding with a smile and unscrutable eyes, the Lord of Andunië bowed, and watched them retreat.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

A while later, when he finally entered the bedroom alone, ornamental garments already taken away and dark curls flowing freely down his back, he found her sitting on the edge of the bed. She was showing her back to him, but the veil had been discarded, allowing him to have a glimpse of brilliant plaits of black hair tied over a light dress with silver embroideries.

It had been custom since the times of Ar-Belzagar that a royal princess would cover her face the day of her wedding, so the assembled Palace would not look upon her until she had lain with her husband. Most of the times that he could recall this had been nothing but a mere formality, since the brides had been well-known noblewomen who frequented the Palace, but now, for once, the ritual had been carried to its last consequences. No one, not even Gimilzôr himself, had ever seen her face.

Noticing his presence at last, Inzilbêth gave a little gasp and quickly turned back. As he had his first glimpse of her, he was not able to suppress a start, and she, taken aback by his expression, let her eyes drop to the ground. His blood ran cold for a second.

She is an Elf! was his first thought, already beginning to make the signal of the Hand- but no, what was he saying, she had to be human. Or had Eärendur´s sister bedded one of them in secret, only for the purpose of begetting a child who would be his undoing?

At once, he tried to quench the flow of his insane thoughts. They could not have known back then that she would be his wife. They could not have planned it, and yet her beauty pierced and numbed him like the fiercest of weapons. He tried to search her for the abhorred features of the Western kin, their sea-grey eyes and the beaky nose of a bird of prey, but her nose was small and graceful, and her eyes huge and stirring. Her every feature seemed carefully measured and traced with a minute perfection, diabolical and Elvish.

Gimilzôr was tempted for a moment to turn away from her and leave. He now saw the extent of the trap of Eärendur, and he would not fall for it. He would never fall to the lure of that woman, and suffer his vigilant eyes to be closed.

A raspy, regular noise interrupted his agitation, and Gimilzôr realised belatedly that it was the sound of her breath against her sleeve. He forced himself to blink, to look at her rationally. Here he was, the proud heir of Númenor, facing a scared, defenceless young girl and in sheer fear of her!

The powerful temptress, meanwhile, was looking like she wished she could be anywhere else but in his chambers. They fear you more than what you fear them, his nurse had told him once as a child, when he recoiled from a garden spider.

“Inzilbêth.” he said, and she lifted her beautiful eyes to look at him again. He blinked over and over, as an unknown feeling stirred in his chest like an ache, like a longing for something that he had lost once and didn´t even remember.

Still seemingly unaware of her powers, she stared at him shyly.

“Do I have to... be naked... for this?”

This innocent question brought a rush of new images to his head, unsettling him even further. A part of him burned and rebelled at his own reluctance, as if she wasn´t there for him to take! She was his wife.

He swallowed. It shouldn´t be like this. He should be in control, and not allowing the enemy to confuse his thoughts.

“Whatever makes you comfortable.” he replied with a studied indifference. She contemplated the answer with a surprised blink, then nodded.

“I... will keep my dress, then.” she decided. Her pale cheeks were coloured by a reddish hue. “No one has ever seen me naked before, only my mother when I was little. And she´s dead.”

Gimilzôr nodded back at her nervous ramblings, trying to find a measure of lucidity. He managed to wring his eyes away from her face, and then they came to rest upon a chain that she was wearing around her neck. In the centre, just above her chest, there was a green gem of the same colour as the summer seas, wrought in a silver engraving.

“This, however, will get in the way.” he muttered, extending a hand to take it. Her reaction was as quick as it was unexpected; letting go of a gasp, both her hands flew to her treasure in order to fend it off from him.

When she realised what she had done, her blush increased even further.

“I am sorry.” she mumbled, withdrawing her hand with reluctance. “I... never take it away.”

Gimilzôr took it away nonetheless, now unhindered, and folded it neatly in his hand. This action, somehow, helped him feel better.

The silver around the gem had been crafted in the shape of diminute leaves of great beauty and detail. It was clearly an Elven device... old yet well-kept, surely an heirloom that had escaped Ar-Adunakhôr´s vengeful wrath.

He put it aside, then turned his attention back to her. She was not looking at him anymore, but at the table where he had laid her jewel. The look of mournful loss in her eyes struck him to the core.

He sighed, uncomfortable yet again. He could not even think of her as the enemy.

“Was it your mother´s?” he asked, in a gentler voice. She stared at him in silence, slightly dazed.

“Yes.” she nodded, at last. “It was hers.”

“It will still be here tomorrow.”

And with this he pulled her close and kissed her in the ear, feeling her body first tense in his arms, and then adjust little by little. His hands roamed down her back slowly, underneath Elven silks, proving to him with every touch that it was human flesh he was feeling.

Even the following day, however, as both lay entwined under the sheets and he smelled his own scent over the dishevelled hair of his sleeping wife, he could not wholly discard his unease.

 

 


Chapter End Notes

Note: This story profits from the fact that the archives that survived the Downfall were few and somewhat lacking in accuracy and information. ("Even such documents as were preseved in Gondor, or in Imladris (...) suffered from loss and destruction by neglect." Tolkien, Unfinished Tales. ) Maybe this could explain my particular version of the date and nature of the exile(s) of the Faithful. If not, consider it uncanonical or of doubtful canonicity.

On a second note, I am sorry for the information overdose in this chapter. It´s the first, after all, and none of you has ever been to "my" Númenor before.

The Shadow and the Child

Read The Shadow and the Child

Inzilbêth sighed, as she dipped the quill into the inkpot and gave a frowning glare to the much abused parchment in front of her. The letters were strange to her, large and bold, with spaces between each other and all in the same line.

Aleph, bet, gimel, dalet...

The girl in front of her smiled. The Princess curved her lips in a delicate pout, feeling almost ridiculous. She knew their alphabet well enough, she should be able to do this, too.

“The second letter is not drawn like that, my lady.”

Inzilbêth crossed it out, then realised that she had to start the phrase again for the fourth time. For a moment, she felt tempted to throw it aside and leave the gloom of her chambers for the sunlight of the inner gardens. The scrawl-like, primitive-looking scripture of the folk of Armenelos seemed to elude her in spite of her best efforts.

Repressing a strong pang of nostalgia, she remembered a time when her calligraphy had been beautiful, and the hand that guided hers loving and patient. Sunbeams had kissed her forehead back then, and birds had perched to sing freely in the branches of the surrounding trees, instead of echoing each other´s laments in their captivity under the twilight of the Palace.

Back when she had still been with her...

“Up... now, down... now, there is a circle, and the tehta goes here, see?”

Inzilbêth´s grey eyes widened in wonder, as she saw the mysterious beauty of what they had produced. Those lines could speak and say things, her mother had said.

“What does it mean, Mama?”

“This is Elbereth. The Queen of the West.” the woman answered. “She sits upon the holy mountain of Taniquetil, with stars for jewels.”

Inzilbêth´s wonder turned to rapture.

“I wish I could see her!”

Her mother shook her head at her enthusiasm, smiling a bit sadly.

“We are not welcome in the Undying Lands, my child. The greed and evil of Men took them away from us.”

The child frowned, confused. She did not understand. It was the same thing that she had been told when she had wished to see the mountain of Meneltarma, and the kingdom of Gil-galad in Middle-Earth, and the King´s palace in Armenelos, and her active imagination had built strange images of evil and greedy Men stealing all those places and standing guard around them with sticks and swords. But somehow, this did not work in her mind for what she had heard about the Undying Lands. The Valar lived there, didn´t they?

“How, Mama? How did this happen?” she asked, unable to repress her inquisitiveness. Her mother let go of a deep sigh, and gathered her on her lap.

“Long ago, the King and his men grew proud, and turned to evil. They banned the Elves from Númenor, scorned the Valar and adored cruel gods. Because of them, Númenor is now an unholy place, and the Valar and the Elves do not want to have anything to do with its people.”

“But we are not evil!” the girl protested, shaken. Her mother caressed her hair.

“No, we are not. We are the Faithful, my love. Our people opposed this evil, and kept the friendship of the Elves. This made the King very angry, and he banished them all to a barren place in the East, where they are watched night and day and they cannot escape.” For a moment, Inzilbêth felt her mother´s welcoming body tense behind her back. She turned to look at her, and noticed her quick efforts to regain her smile. “Your grandmother, your uncle, your aunt, your cousin; all your family is there, Inzilbêth.”

“And why are we here, then?” she asked, feeling as if a veil of deep mystery was starting to unravel. Her mother´s fond smile returned at its fullest.

“It was because of your father. He is kin to the King, handsome and brave. He was appointed governor of the East, and he fell in love with me. He risked his life to take me back with him. “Inzilbêth felt the warmth come back to her at this. “Your father is a great man, Inzilbêth. A great man.”

In thoughtful silence, the girl leaned her head over her mother´s shoulder, and allowed her to touch her hair for a while. The things she had heard that day would need a long time to be mulled over.

“One day, you will find someone like him.” she heard a soft voice mutter absently above her head. “Yes... I am sure you will lead a happy life, my dear, away from darkness and uncertainty.”

“My lady!”

The Princess awoke from her daydream to a young woman´s voice turned shrill from alarm. In sudden apprehension, she jerked away from the parchment, as if her clumsy letters could jump and attack her at any moment.

A huge ink stain fell upon the text, second to the one that had caused the ruckus in the first place.

“Oh, I am- I am sorry for scaring you!” Nidhra muttered hurriedly. “But by Queen Ashtarte the Foam-Rider, the parchment is utterly ruined now!”

“Never mind.” she said, wincing a bit. That woman swore by the cruel gods quite a lot, even though Inzilbêth herself had to admit that there was no other trace of evil to be found in her.

But then, who could have known that the things who had once seemed so easy in her mother´s tales would turn out to be so difficult, here in Armenelos? Even her husband, cold and loveless, had become confusing, the day that she had ventured to raise her face for a moment and seen her fear and disquietude mirrored in his eyes as they lay side by side.

I am not evil. I am a Child of Ilúvatar, and so are you.

We are free to follow our hearts...

“I am not making any progress.” she complained, pushing her failed endeavours aside. The sun... she so wanted to see, and feel the sun. She felt dizzy.

Suddenly, she could perceive it. At first it was nothing but the tiniest stir inside her, but then it evolved into a distinct, sharp yet painless blow to the walls of her womb.

“It is... it is kicking!” she cried joyfully, leaning back on her chair. At once, Nidhra stood up and ran to lay an admiring hand over the Princess´s round belly.

“It is, indeed! Blessed be the Queen of the Seas!” Her smile disminished a bit, and Inzilbêth saw her endeavours to regain the composure that she had lost for a moment. “Who would have guessed that you would give fruit so young, my lady...”

The young Princess and soon-to-be-mother nodded happily. Back when she had first noticed the growth, she had been scared and prayed for it to disappear, but soon all those wishes, images and hopes had burst in in a rush, and her fears gave way to impatience and delight.

She would be mother to a baby. She would cradle it in her arms and teach it everything, and tell it her mother´s stories, and then both would laugh together. She would not be alone anymore.

“... and who cares about those stuck-up old ladies and their ideas.” the lady-in-waiting kept rambling in a lower tone. “Give the baby away to be raised by an old hag, indeed! As if the Princess was not enough to...”

“What?” Aghast, Inzilbêth interrupted her. The happiness left her at once, like a fleeting ray of warmth after a cloud covered the sun. “What do you mean, give the baby away? It is... it is my child!”

“Of course it is.” Nidhra replied immediately, guilty for having upset her. In her distress, the Princess took her hand in hers, and she pressed it comfortingly. “Of course it is, my lady.”

“But then...” Inzilbêth refused to let go. “Then, what does this... talk mean?”

“Nothing at all.” the lady-in-waiting stated firmly. “Some women who have nothing better to do than nosing in the lives of others were whispering that the Princess was too young at seventeen to be fit to be a mother, and since it will be the child of the heir to the throne... But there is nothing to their words. If you can bear it, the point is moot – you are a mother!”

“And the Prince?”

“Probably never even heard those rumours. As most people in Armenelos.” In slow, repeated motions, the young woman caressed Inzilbêth´s hand until she finally felt it go limp in somewhat uneasy relief. “It was nothing else than the idle gossip of a bunch of bored ladies, may the Doom take them. I apologise to your ladyship for having brought them to your ears imprudently.”

“I am the mother. I am the child´s mother.” the Princess repeated intently, as if she wished somehow to engrave the words on her own mind.

Out of an instinct, two protective hands covered her belly, where her yet-unborn child had already stopped stirring and gone back to sleep.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

But the little one was tenacious, and impatient to see the light. Day and night, it moved and kicked with increasing strength, and two weeks before it was due it had already begun pushing to find its way out. Inzilbêth was immediately confined to her bed, as the whole Palace swarmed with rumours and the comings and goings of attendants and midwives.

The young girl had not been prepared for the pain that giving birth would inflict on her. Her body was racked by strange convulsions, and as she had barely managed to breathe and ride them, she felt as if a searing pain had torn her body in two. Blurred images and comforting voices held her by the hands, whispering that everything would go well, but she could not see how anything would ever be well again and wished to die.

“Push harder, my lady. Push harder!”

Leave me alone! she wanted to say, but the only thing that came from her mouth was a groan. Another pang racked her body, and she pressed the hand that held hers so strongly that she heard a yelp.

“Almost... almost there!”

Almost there. As those words managed to seep inside her mind, they gave her a little heart, and she decided to make a last effort. It was almost there.

Her strength focused in the small, terrible spot between her spread legs, determined to pull it out before it killed her. A scream echoed through the busy room, and the last thing she really remembered before pain filled everything was feeling ashamed and appalled at its raw sound.

“A boy!”

Inzilbêth tried to open her eyes, but soon gave up and closed them dizzily. People were running about, doing things and talking. Suddenly, it was as if the world had been reversed; she was the one lying limp in her bed, and the others were moving.

A boy...

A shrill, mewling sound reached her ears from a great distance.

“My child...” she muttered. Even to speak was now pain. “My child...”

“Ssshhh, my lady.” a comforting voice whispered in her ear. “It...”

Then, to her surprise and shock, a male voice interrupted the first from a similarly close position.

“You did very well, Inzilbêth.”

Once again, Inzilbêth opened her eyes. The light hurt a little less now, and as her sight began to adjust, she saw Gimilzôr standing next to her bed, pale and erect. At his left side, one of the midwives was cradling a bundle, and realising what it contained, the young mother extended her hands towards it.

“My child...” she repeated. She wanted to hold it in her arms, but Gimilzôr shook his head and told the woman to leave the bedside. Inzilbêth saw her son disappear, and a cold terror gripped her heart. Forgetting her exhaustion, her body began to fret and try to struggle up in weak motions. “No!”

He was her child, she thought in anguish, her terrified mind recalling and magnifying the rumours about her young age and her lack of abilities as a mother. She wouldn´t let them take him away. He was her child...

“Lay down and rest, Inzilbêth.” he said, and laid an unusually gentle hand over her shoulder. “He will be back soon, and then you will hold him for as long as you please.”

“But...” she mumbled, feeling exhaustion come back to her in waves. Most of the voices had already left the room, but there were two women whispering somewhere near the foot of the bed.

“I must go now.” he said. “The King is waiting.”

With no further word, he turned away and left. Inzilbêth shivered, scared of the new loneliness of her bed. She felt bereaved, as she had not been in all those months in which a little life had been stirring inside her womb.

Instinctively, her hand travelled towards a spot over her chest, and she clasped the gem that hung from the silver chain around her neck. A faint warmth enveloped her at once, growing steadier and steadier until her shivers stopped. She rolled to the side, all her thoughts grown confused and dizzy, and soon fell asleep.

Minutes, or hours later, she awoke with a terrible headache. There was someone in the room again, and she immediately opened her eyes, somehow expecting to see Gimilzôr. But instead it was one of her ladies-in-waiting, carrying Inzilbêth´s child in her arms.

Joy and relief lighted the Princess´s features, in spite of her state.

“Give him to me.” she said. The woman nodded, and leaned forwards to lay him carefully in the space under the young mother´s left elbow. Inzilbêth changed her position to be able to look at him face to face, marveling at his warmth, and stared at him rapturously.

Valar, was the first thing that crossed her mind, how could she have imagined that it would be so tiny? He stirred a little, and then his face was scrunched up in an unsuccessful attempt to repress a yawn. This immediately won her over, and she felt her heart brim with love for the little creature that had grown inside her.

Her child...

With the insatiable curiosity of a new mother, her eyes took his every feature, consigning them to her memory at the same time as she sought for similarities. Happily, she realised that he had inherited the look of her mother´s ancestors, with their same sharp nose and their mouth and chin. A tuft of dark hair grew over his little head, and she fantasized about the strong and beautiful black mane that he would grow in time.

As if he had noticed that he was being held by his mother, the baby opened his eyes. For a little while he squinted, trying, she imagined, to take everything in sight.

Sea-grey eyes, she thought, feeling as if her heart would burst from too much joy. Stretching her neck, she kissed him in the forehead, and the baby let go of a whimper. Afraid that he would start wailing, she quickly stretched a finger in front of his tiny nose, murmuring sweet nothings to calm him down.

The child responded soon, and started to coo and wiggle as much as the covers and the constricting robes allowed him. Inzilbêth felt a warm tear trail down her cheek, but she did not bother wiping it away for fear of hitting him with her elbow by mistake. He loved her, too. And, how wouldn´t he? He was her son. She was his mother, who would give him everything she posessed, lavish all her care on him from dawn till dusk, and protect him against the most terrible things in the world.

For the first time in her life she felt full, and brave.

Carefully picking him up, she laid him across her chest, and began humming an Elvish lullaby that her own mother had taught her as a child.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Congratulations, my lord prince.”

“Congratulations, my lord.”

Gimilzôr mumbled something that wasn´t quite at the height of his usual diplomatic speeches, and passed by the group of courtiers in the direction of his own private garden. He felt so overwhelmed, and torn between contradictory emotions, that he thought it a miracle that he had managed to say anything at all.

As soon as he reached his only sanctuary of solitude, he forgot for once all his apprehensions about what was proper and sat upon the grass, soiling his garments. Then, he shut his eyes tightly, and let go of a deep sigh.

As of today, he was a father. His wife had given birth to a male heir, a little child with the eyes of the lords of Andúnië. The very moment that the bundle had been offered to him in that dark room full of sweat, blood and screams, the King´s son had finally seen what he had never been able to see in his wife before: the eyes of the enemy staring at him in his own house. And this while at the same time, the love of a father drew him inevitably towards the tiny child in the midwife´s arms.

Would he be ever free of the shadow that he had introduced in his life? Would he be allowed even a small measure of happiness, of unambiguous, unstained love for a single being in his world? His father, his wife, now his son... between them there would always be mistrust and guarded thoughts, and a secret, unvoiced resentment.

Gimilzôr took a deep breath, appalled at his own emotions. He had endeavoured through the years to get rid of them, only to find over and over that there was some rebellious need that refused to die. His wife he could keep at arm´s length, young and innocent and beautiful as she was.  But his child! His own son, his heir, the baby who did not know yet how to speak, how to fear and how to hate, and who would grow to learn how to take his place in time!

Before he had been consecrated to Melkor and Ashtarte, the new royal prince had been brought to the Seer, who inhaled the sacred herbs deeply and scrutinised the small, wiggling bundle for a while. Gimilzôr had been watching his features intently, and he had seen a shadow cross them after the trance passed away. Worried, he had pressed him for answers, but the holy man had only said that the child would be King, and refused to speak any further.

After this ominous exchange, the time had come to present the child to the King himself. Ar-Sakalthôr had been shown his grandson for inspection, because Gimilzôr had felt apprehensive about letting his unstable father hold the baby. For a while, the King had simply stared at the child in silence, in front of Gimilzôr and the chamberlain who was holding it, until, all of a sudden, it had opened its little eyes wide to stare back at his grandfather. Ar-Sakalthôr´s face had gone deathly pale then. He announced that he would never allow the child near him; then turned back and left a thunderstruck Gimilzôr behind.

What had the Seer and his father seen? Was it the same unease that he felt when confronted with the sharp nose and the sea-grey glance, or was it something deeper, a dark fate that he could not fathom?

Would his own child turn against him?

Gimilzôr shivered. He was a religious man, and experienced in the ways of the divinity, and he had always believed that it was impossible to delay or undo the threads of Fate. As a good ruler, he knew that his duty would be to press the holy man to reveal the truth, threaten him if necessary, and act in consequence before it was too late.

As a father, however, he loved his child. And as much as he might try, he could not bring himself to do it any harm. No- it was unthinkable.

The greatest fool is the man who is fooled twice over while thinking himself clever. You were right indeed in this, father, though you are fey! He had thought he had seen, and taken appropriate steps against Eärendur´s schemes, but now it was brought home to him that he had failed to see the true danger. His son, his heir, with his mother´s blood, his uncle´s features and a destiny buried in shadows, and nothing from his father except a claim to that Sceptre that they had coveted for so long.

No! His very being rebelled against this, and he stood up with fire in his veins. For all his life, since he could barely remember, he had been working for the good of Númenor and the lineage of Ar-Adunakhôr. He could not -would not- allow them to trample over all his efforts. If it must be, he would kill all the Elf-friends one by one, or banish them from the island so none of them would ever meet his son. He would raise him to reverence the true gods and the customs of his people, and respect the example of the father whose sceptre he would one day inherit. Not a single soul who worshipped the Valar or knew a word of that accursed Elven tongue would ever come near him.

He was the King´s son. One day, he would be the King, and ruler of the most powerful people in the world. With that power, even Fate could be averted.

And it would.

Feeling a strong determination overcome his shaken thoughts, Gimilzôr let his eyes trail over the garden. A ghastly light was beginning to spread over grass, flowers and quietly murmuring fountains. The goddess is smiling, he had been told when he was young and stared in wonder at the magnificence of the full moon. Now, he would rather have thought that she was crying.

Shaking his head, and taking a sharp breath, he turned away from her, and walked back into his chambers.

 

 

 

(to be continued)

 


Chapter End Notes

Notes: First and foremost, I still plan on updating this weekly. I didn´t update last week because I was in Greece on a trip.

Then, I must confess that I didn´t mention in my introductory note that Melkor´s name would pop up in my Númenor so long before Ar-Pharazôn. I find the whole idea of a people who forsakes its ancient beliefs without picking any new ones for centuries- well, ridiculous. Also, "Melkor" (and Uinen) are figures that seem to be yelling at the reader that they belong to the theological conceptions of a certain people in antiquity. It was a good opportunity to show those gods as they once were in real tradition, before the demonisation wrought by Tolkien´s Catholic mind after Sauron´s arrival in Númenor.

Now, as for the alphabet: It is assumed in my universe that the Númenoreans not only forsook the teachings of the Valar and Elves, (a purely passive and unbelievable view of things, in this as well as in religion, given what is known about the splendour of Númenor before its fall), but boosted their own culture. For this culture, a support other than the Fëanorian script was needed, and as the greatest proof of what Men were able to do, I chose the Phoenician alphabet. (The Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, Latin and Cirillic scripts came from it, just in case that you choose to view Middle-Earth as an early stage of Earth).

And as for childbearing age: Tolkien officially stated in the UT that though the Númenoreans lived longer than normal humans, they grew at the same speed (and once that they reached their maturity, their decay was slowed down for a long time). This means that Inzilbêth as a 17 year old mother is exactly in the same condition as any of us as a 17 year old mother. Which means, that it´s biologically normal.

Still, in the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen, concerns about "young marriage" are raised when Gilraen is married to Arathorn. This gave me the thought that, even if biologically it could be done, Númenorean society could frown upon it. Having a longer span of life, they would have grown used to dividing their lives in larger cycles.

Thanks to my readers!

A Slip

Read A Slip

“Your son is here, my lord prince.”

The man made a nod, and finished the fig that he had been peeling prior to the interruption. For a second, his glance fell upon the woman who sat next to the small garden fountain, working on an embroidery of silver and purple thread. She did not look up from her endeavours, but her lips curved into a smile.

The boy crossed the porch of the Princess´s gardens, followed by a small retinue of nurses and tutors who stayed at the threshold at a gesture of Gimilzôr´s hand. The exuberance that any six-year old would feel upon stepping out of the gloom of his chambers and meeting his mother was restrained by his father´s presence, and he offered them a formal bow.

“Good morning, son.” the Prince said, forcing his usually stiff tone to adapt to the circumstances. Inzilbêth gave her embroidery to her lady-in-waiting and beckoned to the boy, whose resolutions to keep his dignity disolved in a whirl as he rushed towards her open arms.

“Good morning, Inziladûn!”she exclaimed warmly. “Oh, but you look so pale! You should not stay so long indoors...”

Gimilzôr coughed, a little irritated. He was used to her behaviour –as it seemed, an upbringing in the wilds could not be erased no matter the years-, but questioning his own dispositions in front of their son was an extremely unwise thing. The boy had been born with a potential that no heir to the sceptre could afford to waste in idleness, not as Númenor´s frail peace grew stale and brittle.

And still, as both mother and son sobered and let go of each other, he could not help but feel as if there was something not quite right about his anger. Like whenever those two were together, he had the annoying sensation that he was intruding upon something.

“Father?” the boy asked, realising his transgression with a thoughtful frown. “I am sorry for... running, and for hugging Mother so undignifiedly.”

The long and difficult words were spoken calmly and with no hint of a stammer, almost with the inflection that an adult would have given to them. The Prince stared at his son, whose sea-grey eyes were fixed on him, and nodded.

The little prodigy. His tutors swore often that there was no child so gifted in the whole of Númenor, and even looking past their flattery, Gimilzôr had to admit that there was something unusual, maybe even unsettling about the child. There had been times when he had found himself trying to guess the true intentions behind his boyish frowns, as if he was facing a courtier or a member of the Council. This always made him feel extremely foolish.

Behind their backs, Inzilbêth nodded proudly at her son´s words, and picked her embroidery back to begin disentangling the threads.

“Come here.” he commanded.

Inziladûn gave a few steps, until he was close to his father´s chair at the opposite side of the small table. The glance he shot him this time was clearly inquiring.

“Yes?”

Gimilzôr sought for for the most adequate way to start this conversation. Most of the verbal exchanges that he could recall having held in the last month had always started and finished with some matter of governance - excepting a few ones about roots and vegetables, thanks to the King. He had rarely talked to his son, as he detested not knowing what to say.

“Have you studied something of import this week?” he finally chose to ask. Inziladûn´s lips curved a little, and his eyes were suddenly wide and eager. The subject interested him, strange as it would seem for a boy his age.

“I have been learning about the gods of Númenor.” he announced. Gimilzôr saw him struggling to keep a further torrent of words on a leash, and for a moment, a ghost of a smile crossed his face. Amused, he signalled him to continue.

“This week I learned about Ashtarte-Uinen, the Queen of the Seas. She is a goddess, fairer than the fairest woman in the world, like the statue at the Temple of the Sea Cave, and crowned in gleaming silver and pearls. At day she sails the Seas, and at night she sails the skies and we see her as the Moon. She protects sailors, and children, and the... love between a man and a woman.”

Gimilzôr nodded, slightly impressed. The boy walked a few steps backwards and stared at both his parents now, searching for approval. Inzilbêth, however, continued embroidering with a small smile, until Inziladûn finally turned his attention away from her to focus back on his exposition.

“And today I have been learning about Melkor son of Eru, the King of Armenelos. Of how he leads our armies in war upon the lands of Middle-Earth, and takes the people who die with him so they won´t be lost in darkness. And how the Elves and the evil spirits stole his radiant crown by treachery, because they wanted the world to be covered in darkness, but it slipped out of their reach and hung over the skies as the Sun to light our paths by day!”

They are Moon and Sun, Sea and Land, Woman and Man... the child´s song he had been taught when he was his son´s age came back in loose fragments to Gimilzôr´s mind as he heard him speak. Not that Inziladûn would have needed such clumsy rhymes.

Inzilbêth, however, was not smiling anymore. Could she be feeling jealous?

“Why did the..?” Inziladûn´s question wavered in his mouth and died, as he came back from his excitement to realise that he wasn´t in class with his old tutor or playing with his mother. Feeling unusually lighthearted, Gimilzôr encouraged him to continue. The ruler of Númenor was still enough to answer a child´s question - even if the child was as gifted as this one.

“Why did the Elves want the world to be covered in darkness? Is it because they can see in the dark?”

“The Elves live in another world, under the light of glowing trees.” he explained. “On several ocassions, jealous of the beauty and prosperity of the world of Men, they tried to conquer it. The third and last of those times, they headed for Middle-Earth with an army whose extent of power and malice no human or divine eye had ever witnessed. But even then, Melkor did not forsake those faithful to Him. He knew what he had to do, and so, after building a great fire, He threw himself on it. His enemies laughed, but suddenly, in honour of His sacrifice His father, Ruler of All and Creator, spread the flames and created terrible monsters of blood and fire, until the Elves were defeated and their host had to abandon Middle-Earth.”

“And what happened to Him?” Inziladûn had been won by curiosity.

“By his triumphant death he conquered the Other World, and thus became the King of the Dead. Now, he sits there waiting for His faithful souls to arrive, and guides them through the right path so they will not be lost to darkness.” The Prince paused for a moment. “. Those are the great feats that we celebrate in the February festival, which you will soon attend.”

Inziladûn nodded in grave silence, endeavouring to absorb such an important and shocking load of information. Inzilbêth´s lady-in-waiting gave a little sharp cry, upon noticing that her mistress had prickled her finger with the needle.

The boy turned there in anxiousness, but his mother smiled, sucking her injured finger, and signalled that it was nothing important.

“Was this all you were told about Melkor?” Gimilzôr continued, to cover this incommodating moment. Inziladûn mulled over the question, his eyes still darting towards his mother, until he finally shook his head.

“No. I also learned about his favourite animal, the wolf, and the one he hates the most, the dog. There was also a story about that, but my tutor says that it will come in time.” The impression of the old man´s voice had come so naturally and unexpectedly that Gimilzôr couldn´t even scold him for it. “And his favourite tree is the dragon tree... but I don´t know what that is.”

“Nobody does.” The Prince smiled briefly. “It is a tree of legend, with leaves sharp as swords that stand tall and proudly against the sky. Its roots ooze blood when they are cut, because according to a famous story, it grew from the blood of the mightiest of Elvenkings after he, in his folly, dared King Melkor to fight him one on one. He was so strong and canny that it is said that he wounded our Lord´s feet seven times with his sword, but in the end he was shattered by his mace.”

“Grond.” the boy added mechanically. Then, he smiled. “I would wish to see that tree at least once! Maybe there´s still one in Valinor? All the gods come from that land, don´t they?”

Gimilzôr froze. All the words that he was going to say, and the tenuous ease that had been developing during the conversation fled in a rush as he pressed his lips and sent a piercing glance in Inziladûn´s direction.

“Who told you this?”

The boy had realised at once that he had said something wrong. His face went pale, but his confusion was soon smothered behind a mask of forced self-aplomb. The expression in his sea-grey eyes became closed, guarded, and Gimilzôr suddenly saw Eärendur standing in front of him with a false smile and a calculating expression upon his features. His stomach clenched.

“I read it on a priest´s old book.” he replied with the briefest hesitation. Some of the dusty scrolls that were kept for religious purposes contained dangerous things that he had been forbidden from reading. “I am sorry.”

A good attempt, Gimilzôr thought. But behind his back, blood had fled from Inzilbêth´s face, and he knew who was the real culprit.

“Be excused.” he told the child curtly. Inziladûn turned towards his mother.

“Come with me, Mother.” he whispered, unable to keep his anxiety at bay for any longer. “Please.”

“Leave.” Gimilzôr repeated, so coldly that he would have flinched at his own voice. The lady-in-waiting and two servants who were waiting nearby followed him, with steps that seemed a little too eager for Court protocol.

Somehow, as the boy left, his frozen rage, mingled with rising fear became hot instead, and burned in his chest. Belatedly he realised why: what he had felt while Inziladûn lied to him had nothing to do with the feelings of a father for a son, even a son who had done something that he did not approve of. For a second, he had seen the enemy.

The greatest fool is the man who is fooled twice over while thinking himself clever.

He was the greatest fool.

Inzilbêth sat on her chair, clutching her embroidery as if she was waiting for some stroke of doom. When he turned to give her his full attention, she winced.

“It was not his fault.” she mumbled, with a small and rushed voice that he could barely manage to discern. “It was me. I was the one who...”

“I know.” he said, in a cold, low tone. Usually, he never raised his voice, thinking it inelegant and demeaning, but this time he needed a great amount of self-control to prevent himself from yelling. There was some thread he needed to hold on to, when everything else seemed to be escaping his grasp.

Fool. So much care spent in keeping the child away from distant relatives and old books, while Inzilbêth, young, harmless Inzilbêth, was free to indoctrinate him night and day, whispering on his ear while they played! Now he understood why the child had always kept such an infuriating distance from him –whenever he wasn´t feigning, of course. Had she taught him to feign, too?

This had to end. Now.

“You will not see my son again.” he told her, taking a breath. Before he could turn away, and unsurprisingly, he was held back by a hand pulling his robe. With great reluctance, he turned back to face Inzilbêth´s distressed glance.

“No! Please... not this!” she stammered, choking with her own voice as she knelt on the floor in front of him. Gimilzôr had never seen such desperation cross the features of anyone before, and he had to stop in spite of himself. “Kill me if I... if I have displeased you, but please, not this!”

“You have poisoned his ears with the.. tales of the traitors!” he spat. Saying it aloud helped to increase his fury and his outrage. He remembered Inziladûn´s smile, his eagerness, that had seemed so sincere to him before it all disappeared in a rush.

“It was a mistake! I...” She sought frantically for the right words to say, holding to him at the same time to make sure that he wouldn´t leave. So beautiful, she was, in spite of her features distorted by grief. Beautiful like an Elf... like a siren...“It was an old wives´s tale... that I remembered from my nurse. It was about a man of Middle-Earth, Tuor, who crossed the Great Sea in a ship. He... he found Valinor, where the Valar lived, and achieved immortality, but it was just a silly child´s tale and I meant no wrong with it. Please, believe me!” Unable to help herself for any longer, her voice shook with a sob. “I swear that I will never tell him a tale again!”

“And what will come now? Songs?” he asked, sarcastically. “Prayers?”

In spite of his bitterness, however. the flaring heat of his ire was already giving way to rationality, and he gave himself pause to think again. She looked sincere. Oh, yes - she looked sincere, naive, and he had the shameful urge to comfort her and dry her tears and forget that also she, by birth, had been his enemy.

He was so weak. He would lose his bloodline to such an insignifiant woman, and the whole of Númenor to her kin.

All because he had thought there would be a way to escape his duty. Love, cursed love, an inconvenient attachment in a man of state... a mortal danger in a prince.

Her sobs subsided after a while, and she wiped her eyes with a tenuous semblance of serenity. He expected her to continue insisting, but instead she sought his glance with an intent look upon her eyes. Almost fierce, he thought, wondering what else would a mother do to fight for her child.

The answer came immediately.

“Then I swear... I swear that I will never teach my son any song, tale or prayer that does not sing the praises of the greatest of gods, Melkor son of Eru and king of Armenelos.” she said, without a single pause. Gimilzôr, who had never heard her speak the god´s name before, blinked in surprise.

Did her kind care for oaths?

She is my wife!

Aye, she was indeed. As Inziladûn was his son by name, and Eärendur´s kin by blood. If he had been aware back then of the power that a young and ignorant girl could hold over her lineage, he would never have had her, not as a hostage, nor as a pretext or an alliance, but it was too late for that now.

It was also too late to do what he should have done back then. Inziladûn was a prince of Númenor in the eyes of the people, his declared heir – his beloved heir, yes, even now, to his greater shame.

Was there anything he could do, in the slippery terrain of misalliances, affections, lies and oaths where his miscalculation, and then his weakness, had thrown him? How could human eyes see through the souls, and reveal her real heart, his son´s real heart to him?

You chose not to heed the warnings.

The image of the holy man´s unsettled face flashed through his mind. Before Gimilzôr had had the time to recover from the surprise, another vision took its place, of two twin serpents fighting one another over Inzilbêth´s slight, trembling frame. He stood in place, shaken.

He knew what this was.

There was still a way.

It was the only thing he could do, he realised, in the backslash of that immediate and terrible flash of divine insight. One single thing that could save Númenor and the royal house from this approaching storm – and also, if things went wrong, hasten its doom.

Blood curdled in his veins at the decision that he had to make. For a moment, he wished that he could be nothing but a common man, who knew and cared nothing for the complicated paths that he was forced to tread. But alas- that fate had been denied to him, since the day of his birth in a bed of purple.

“Listen to me, Inzilbêth. I will allow you to see him, but there will be a third person present in all of your encounters until I decide otherwise.” he muttered, feeling tired and drained. Without waiting to see the relief in her face, he pulled the piece of fabric away from her grip, and left.

That same afternoon, when Inziladûn bowed in front of him and formally asked for forgiveness for mentioning the Unspeakable Name of the island of the evil spirits of the West, Gimilzôr gave his son a pleasant look, and told him that there was no reason to worry. After the child´s footsteps had waned behind his back, however, the Prince lowered his head, and covered his face with both hands.

The Festival of the King

Read The Festival of the King

“The King has come!”

“He came back from the world of the Dead, and triumphed!”

“Hail the King!”

The sun was already high in the sky, bringing its scalding rays upon the heads of the  multitude that dared to brave them on that unusually hot day of late February. People marched in groups, dressed in light, colourful garments and shouting the traditional proclaims.

Seeking the shade of the smaller streets, those that spread across the older part of the city in an inextricable maze, vendors sang their merchandise: sweet figs, cooled in water, pomegranates –the Númenorean apples-, amulets in the shape of Uinen´s outstretched hand, and light hats made of hay. The haunting odours of spices and perfume that had become the particular scent of Armenelos reached Eärendur´s nostrils in waves, bringing a familiar feeling of unease to his heart.

On this festival morning, as he walked the city towards the temple where he was being expected, he was alone. One of the things he had learned, back when he set a foot on Númenor´s capital for the first time, was that unprotected anonimity was safer than going out of his house as the lord of Andunië with a sizeable escort. He was the enemy here, and would be so forever as far as Gimilzôr was concerned. He could stand in the unholy fumes of the temple a thousand times and watch as many sacrifices to the goodwill of the Dark Foe of the World, and he would still hear the word “traitor” whispered behind him as soon as he turned back

Sometimes, in his darkest moments, Eärendur wondered if there would ever be a justification for his actions that he could offer his father beyond the Circles of the World. The fourteenth lord of Andunië, who lived a life of exile, was not the only person in his family who would not have approved of Eärendur´s policies; some were still alive and full of recriminations. But he had understood it clearly –or thought that he had- long ago: away from their sovereign´s sight, they would always be traitors and enemies. They would never know peace, and they would never have the opportunity of speaking the truth in front of the king.

Still, even Eärendur, who through his life had been forced to learn the virtue of patience, was already beginning to see nothing but despair on the road ahead of him. Ar-Sakalthôr had lifted the ban, yes, but any shrewd observer would notice that the King ruled little those days. His son Gimilzôr held the Sceptre in his hands, not in name but in fact, and as long as he was alive none of the Faithful would ever know peace. Through the years, this tyrant was developing the attributes that would turn man into monster –not cruelty or heartlessness, a will of iron or a murderous, bloodthirsty nature, but a penchant for suspicion. A King in perpetual fear was the worst danger for his subjects, innocent or guilty, and no matter what Eärendur´s heart would tell him, his mind would only foresee bleak visions of the future.

The lord of Andunië reached the last step of the stone stairs that led to the summit of the smallest hill of those upon which Armenelos was built, and paused for a moment. From that vantage point, he could see the enormous bulk of the holy mountain of Meneltarma, towering over the city with its ragged slopes and peaks covered by perpetual snows. Lost in a feeling of religious awe, he closed his eyes for a moment, and wondered sadly at the folly of people who failed to see the true works of the divinity that lay upon their very doorstep, while they rushed in crowds towards a temple built by the hands of man.

“The King has come back from the dead!”

Your King lies in the Void, and he will never come back, he thought, then shook his head and continued his way. At his right, the soft scent of perfume became stronger, and mingled with smells of food as he passed next to the huge marketplace. But today there were no shouts, no crowds of people coming and going with bags of fruit, vegetables and fish. Today, it was the festival of the King of Armenelos, and the smells were nothing but lingering ghosts.

At the other side, upon the left slope of the hill lay the King´s gardens, built by the king whose name was blasphemous. Eärendur had been there often, realising the irony that lay in searching for peace among the running fountains that his enemy and that of the Valar had built, and walking under the shade of the exotic and colourful trees –those with huge trunks and brilliant, unbreakable leaves, or tall like arrows with long and thorny fingers, and the giant red flowers that never died- that he had brought from his expeditions to Middle-Earth. The people remembered him fondly for such acts of civic generosity, and yet Eärendur kept records of times when the Kings were known among the subjects for themselves, instead of for the splendid parks that they built while sitting in the innermost chambers of their palace.

The king whose name was blasphemous had indeed been the first to be touched by the ominous shadow of fear, that now ran like poison in the bastard blood of his descendants. Eärendur stared in the direction of the Southern Hill, upon which the royal palace lay like a city of its own. Sunlight shone over the magnificent, lotus-shaped pillars wrought in gold and the russet tiles of the roofs, blinding his glance until he had to turn his eyes away, as if he had been looking into the eyes of Manwë himself. But behind that brilliance there were walls and fortifications, and guards, and a host of dependences, workshops, cellars, gardens, courtiers and servants that isolated the King from his city, and enabled him to live without crossing his own gates.

Eärendur continued his march. Pearls of sweat flowed down his brow from the heat of the day, but he could not take his cloak off. The crowd around him was beginning to thicken considerably, as he drew closer to the third and last elevation, the Eastern Hill, where the temple of Melkor had its location. It was a complex compound, crowned by a dome painted in hues of golden yellow, and tall white towers at its sides. Around it, there was a row of houses decorated with glazed tiles of many colours, the home of the priests, and the reddish building of the School of Arts and Sciences, also built by the king whose name was blasphemous.

So much evil wrought in a fair appearance, he mused, realising that this could apply to the city of Armenelos as a whole, with its dazzling colours, its sweet smells and proud buildings; with its rare trees and large avenues and small, laberyintic streets, cunningly planned with a slight curve that prevented the gracelessness of the predictable straight line. It unsettled Eärendur sometimes, to see how evil could create beauty in defiance of the teachings of the Valar, and how an insidious sweetness still oozed from the corrupted heart of the first city of Númenor, stealing the heart and enchanting the senses of the most faithful. He remembered clearly the first time that his son Valandil had laid eyes upon the enchantress: after hours of silence, in which no one was able to wrestle a word out of him, he had told his father that even if they had to live ten lifetimes of exile, he would never wish the Wave to destroy such beauty.

Eärendur had not replied, confused as his heart had become through years of thought and pondering. The Wave dream had assaulted his bloodline since the time of their exile, and they had learned to accept that the Creator would not suffer this abomination to continue for long. And yet, his son´s words, in their strong and untainted simplicity had moved him, and he had thought that the day that such a city disappeared from the face of Earth the very stars of Varda would weep.

The avenue of palm trees that led to the temple was full of people, singing songs for their resurrected King and trying to push through the rest of the faithful to have a glimpse of the gates. When had those Middle-Earth heathen cults wormed their way into Númenor through the corrupted Merchant Princes -those bold, ambitious families who had not thought twice about leaving the land of their birth centuries ago, and seek fortune through trade and exploitation in the colonies-, was something that not even Eärendur´s father, master of lore, had known with exactitude, but the king whose name was blasphemous had been the one to give them official character, to serve his own purposes.

A breeze deigned at last to blow over the heads of the crowd, wringing a soft, musical sound from the leaves of the palm trees, and relieved sighs from many. Eärendur pushed his way to a small side gate, about to be crushed a thousand times until he reached a barrier of haughty looking soldiers. Usually he came earlier in the morning, when there were less people around the temple.

“Stay where you are!” one yelled at him. He took the cloak away, and a pair of sea-grey eyes stared at them questioningly. The same soldier who had yelled made a face for an instant, then turned his back to him and left with a signal for him to wait.

Eärendur endured the indignity with patience. Worse was surely to come until he was allowed to reach his rightful place, and at least now the throng had ceased to push around him. He heard whispers behind his back.

As he had predicted, the soldier came back a few moments later, accompanied by one of Gimilzôr´s courtiers. He had probably seen him several times before, and forgotten his face just as many. It seemed to him in ocassions that everybody in that palace shared the same appearance, with rich yet orderly clothes and haughty, expressionless features.

“Excuse me, my lord.” the man said in a formal tone, then proceeded to search him for weapons. Once that he was satisfied that he had not been planning an assassination, he allowed him to enter the temple.

The first time that his son Valandil had been forced to undergo this under the searching gazes of the people of Armenelos, he had not taken it well, Eärendur remembered. He, on the other hand, had ceased feeling anything ressembling shame after several years of alternate attendance –probably the first and hopefully the last in his proud family to reach this state of humiliating resignation. And even he had his own goals.

“Lord Eärendur!”

It was Zarhâd, the lord of the city that lay at the feet of Sorontil, surrounded by several men who proceeded to wash their hands and faces in the ornate fountain of the first courtyard.

“Lord Zarhâd.” he replied genially, bowing in greeting. “It has been so long since the last Council meeting. Is your family faring well?”

The other man shrugged. Eärendur almost laughed at his forlorn expression, and not for the first time, he thought that if they hadn´t been forced by the circumstances, he probably would have liked him. He even suspected that Zarhâd might like him a little.

“As usual. My daughter away on her ship. My son trying to rule in my stead without messing things too much while I idle here.”

“The joys of alternate attendance.” Eärendur nodded with a smile on his lips. Unlike more timid or cunning lords of the court, Zarhâd did not change subject abruptly, but merely shrugged his shoulders and closed his expression a little.

“Well, I do not think it is such a bad idea. My wife is sickly, and the climate of Armenelos does her good. The governance of my lands, on the other hand.... But let us go inside!”

The lord of Andunië nodded, and followed him through the courtyard and into the first gallery, whose shadows blinded him for a moment. The laws on alternate attendance had been passed in Ar-Zimrathôn´s time, but he had always suspected that Gimilzôr had had something to do with them. It seemed his kind of idea, to inflict separation upon families and take lords away from their lands for one year out of two, just so he could feel slightly more at ease about threats of rebellion. And at least the others did not have to suffer the fate reserved for the Lords of the West alone: to leave a hostage in the city at all times, no matter where the lord was or whether the year was odd or even.

The ascension of the narrow, spiral staircase that would bring them to their appointed places in the upper balcony was done in complete silence, and those who had arrived before them were already praying above. Eärendur took his place with polite bows of greeting to the others, who barely interrupted their repetitive mutterings to offer him a bow in return.

Downstairs, the great hall was already filled with people, except for the circle around the altar that nobody dared to tread. The holy flames had been kindled, and their fumes reached the dome, darkening it in spite of the efforts of the priests to paint them anew year after year. A dull chant reverberated across the stone building.

Eärendur tried to fight the sombre feeling that always came upon him as he was made to wait thus. He pretended to be muttering something, too, wondering why he cared to pretend when nobody was looking at him. Maybe he did it just to fill his mind with something that was not the vertiginous voices of the male choir, and the suffocation of the fumes, and Morgoth... who wasn´t anywhere where he could hear anything either.

Not before half an hour had passed, the door behind the altar finally opened for the procession of priests, dressed in white and almost translucent gauzes. The chant´s intensity augmented. Incense was burnt, and the High Priest arrived with the royal family and several men who dragged two confused, spotless black cows.

Further interested, Eärendur leaned slightly forwards to look at his niece and her child. The boy was staring at the comings and goings around him with a mixture of shock and awe –it was only the second time that he assisted to such a ceremony. And it was also, Eärendur thought with sadness, the second time that he saw him since he was presented to the Court as a baby, as Gimilzôr had forbidden him access to his own kin. He wished that the air could be less thick and allow him a better view of the bright, grey-eyed child, the hope and future of the West.

One of the cows mooed loudly, distressed by the fire, and immediately started to struggle in its bonds, trying to kick the men who surrounded them. The High Priest gave orders in a sharp tone, and someone knelt to offer Gimilzôr a knife. Inzilbêth moved out of the shadows like a swift providence, gathering the child in her arms to get him away from the danger.

Eärendur stared at his niece, and froze. At once, he stood up and leaned over the gilded railing, so abruptly that the High Chamberlain and the Lord of the Southwest sent some surprised glances in his direction.

She was gone from his field of vision. Alarmed, she walked away from the fire with her son, and Gimilzôr skillfully killed one cow and then the other after they had been reduced to immobility by ropes and the strength of many arms. The chants changed their rythm as the corpses were given to the fire, in remembrance of Melkor´s sacrifice, and there she was again, walking forwards with hesitant little steps.

She was pregnant.

There was no doubt anymore, Eärendur realised as he saw the size of her curved belly under the rich garments. The sound of blood rushing in his ears was the only thing that he could hear for a moment, and he needed great efforts to relax and sit back in his place.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

How was this possible?  How could the worst senseless fear have brought Gimilzôr to this, to invoke ruin upon Númenor and his own family? To forsake his own child and see him as an enemy?

Inzilbêth does not know anything about this, he mused, letting his eyes lie upon her and surprising a furtive hand that stroked her belly. He could be far-sighted at times, yet now, as much as he tried, the only thing he saw in her was the subdued happiness of a mother who hoped that at least this child would be allowed to live at her side.

For a moment, the lord of Andunië´s heart wept for the fate of his niece, whom he had been forced to sacrifice for the sake of a greater good. He had sacrificed himself as well, yes, but she- what could she have known, the day when she welcomed her kinsmen back with tears of joy in her eyes? He wept for her son, too, young and still too naive to understand what went on in the mind of his own father. He tried to curse Gimilzôr, but in the end all he could do was to curse himself.

No. Never despair. He had sworn this back when he had been nothing but a child living among exiles in a barren land, and saw the families that had lost faith long ago and passed their miserable existences in the apathy of despair. I will not despair. His mind started working quickly.

Everything was not lost yet. The eldest child was at least the heir, no matter what his father did short of killing him. The yet-unborn child could also be female, and the later Kings had forbidden women from taking the Sceptre.

And now it was time for him to warn Inzilbêth, even with a letter that would put him at risk, if it was necessary. She needed to know about the prophecy of the serpents. Whether she had been the one to rouse Gimilzôr´s suspicions or not, whether it had been simply because of her mother´s kinship –but then again, he was having his second child with the same woman, despite the fact that those kings thought nothing of adultery-, or because of something that she had done in innocent carelessness, it wasn´t too late to change the tyrant´s mind. Her unfortunate child had to keep whatever he had left of his father´s love, or they all would be ruined.

The terrible thought crossed his mind that maybe Gimilzôr hated his son not because of his mother, but because of the child himself, for his ill-chosen features and the blood running through his veins. Because he was like them, and Ar-Adunakhôr´s lineage had been defeated by a superior power.

The chants grew louder than ever, in honour of the High Priest of Melkor and the royal family as they exited the hall behind curtains of smoke. A second before the gates were closed after them, Eärendur thought he saw little Inziladûn turn back, and dart a searching stare in his direction as if he knew, somehow, that he was there.

I am sorry, he muttered with fervour, feeling, for the first time since he entered the hall, like he truly was praying.

 

 

(to be continued)

A Night Farewell

Read A Night Farewell

(two days later)

 

The young woman lay unmoving, her head upon the pillow. Watching the entrance, she listened intently for the familiar sound of small feet tiptoeing across the corridor.

Soon afterwards, she heard a faint creaking sound, and then a smaller one, sharp and metallic as the door to her inner chambers clicked shut. Her lips curved into a smile, that grew sad even while she rolled aside to make room for the cold body of a child.

“Come here” she whispered, holding the covers open. Inziladûn accepted the invitation mutely, his expression still full of distress, and pressed against her swollen belly in search of comfort. “What was it?”

A short, tremulous silence.

“It was... that one again.” he muttered after a while. “The Sea was coming for me. People were drowning... and I ran, I tried to run faster and faster, but I couldn´t!”

“Ssssh.” she hushed him, caressing his dark hair. “I have you.”

This seemed to calm him to some extent, though his body was still tense minutes later. Since he had been but a baby, he had suffered from an uneasy sleep full of nightmares, and Inzilbêth had blamed the gloom of that palace of cold stone. Most nights, the dreams were so vivid that he dared to brave the shadows of the corridors and the eyes of the servants to slip into his mother´s bed, and she had never had the heart to refuse him before.

She embraced him, forcing a painful knot down her throat.

“What´s the matter, Mother?” he asked. Realising that he had noticed her distress with that precocious perceptiveness of his, Inzilbêth shook her head as she could.

“Nothing, my dear.”

“Is the baby hurting you?”

Her tears almost turned to a choked laugh.

“Of course not. It is sleeping too, at this hour of the night!”

“Lady Masra says that babies do not eat or sleep until they are out.”

“Lady Masra is wrong. Babies sleep in their mother´s womb.”

Inziladûn fell silent again at this, and Inzilbêth assumed that he was pondering the matter with a frown. She wiped her eyes with the hand that was not holding him close.

What would she do when he was not there? She remembered the dreary months when she could only approach him under the vigilant gazes of her husband´s servants. His nightmares had become worse than ever, but he had stopped asking her for songs and tales. Even today, the child she was holding in her arms was not the same that she had left in that garden with his father, and this had caused something like a small, persistent wound to grow in her heart.

Of course, that would not be a concern any longer. She held him a bit closer, and shivered.

“Mother, you are hurting me.”

“Sorry.” she mumbled. He pulled some inches away, until he was able to distinguish her face in the soft glow.

“I do not want the baby to be born.”

Inzilbêth´s eyes widened, and she sought his glance. He was looking intently at her, ever so formal, so serious.

“Why... not?” she asked, weakly.

“Because people say that he will be heir instead of me, and that Father will cast me out when he´s born.”

Inzilbêth forced herself to smile, even as the weight of the letters scribbled by a kinsman on a piece of parchment crushed her heart and chilled her soul. The sound rang hollow, almost like a choke.

“This is nonsense. You know that your father loves you, don´t you, dear?”

Inziladûn´s face showed no signs of reassurance at her words. For a moment, a look of raw uncertainty crossed his eyes.

“I don´t know.” he mumbled. Inzilbêth embraced him again in silence, wondering how much he had been able to gather- how much had his sharp glance been able to perceive on its own.

As he laid his head over her belly, one of her hands broke carefully free again, and it sought the familiar warmth of the jewel hanging from her neck. Her eyes closed while she allowed its comfort to seep through her distress –oh, how she wished that time would stop forever at that very moment.

But it didn´t, and a mother could not bring further ruin upon her child.

“Inziladûn... I have something important to tell you. Listen to me with attention.”

Surprised at his mother´s change of tone, the boy stiffened again. His hands grabbed at her nightgown, in an instinctive impulse that made Inzilbêth think, for the madness of a moment, that he had already guessed what she was going to say.

“Because of this child, I will be... sick for a while.” She swallowed. “You will... not be able to meet with me, Inziladûn.”

“How long?”

The Princess forced herself to inhale a large gasp of breath. She had to be strong.

“I... do not know. But you... must not seek me. Do you understand?”

The hands grabbing her nightgown strengthened their grip, as the boy looked up and sought her features. Before she could even have had the time to look away, Inzilbêth felt herself sized up, pierced like she had never had been before by the eyes of anyone. In her shock, she smothered a gasp, and flinched.

The boy, however, said nothing. He simply looked.

“Do you understand, Inziladûn?” she repeated, trying to regain her composure and some measure of authority. He did not nod, nor shake his head. She began to grow frightened.

“Inziladûn...”

“Will you tell me a tale, then?” he interrupted her. “Because I will not be coming for a while?”

For a moment, she blinked in incredulity –sighed in painful relief-, and then tears welled upon her eyes, and she could not see anything in front of her anymore.

“I will.” she answered as well as she was able, nodding many times. “I will.”

Inziladûn´s grip froze. Slowly, she felt him take his hands away, retreating some inches further. Wiping her tears again with a furtive swipe, she found his gaze, and froze in turn.

He was crying. Shaking in silence, with his cheeks full of tears that gleamed under the pale light of the moon.

“Then, it is true.” he sobbed. “You will never see me again.”

“Inziladûn!” she cried, then smothered her voice in sudden fear of someone listening behind the shadows. She tried to gather him in her arms again, but he pulled away from her, and sat upon the edge of the bed.

“You must... understand.” she implored, willing her voice to sound calm and her tears to stay, even though her heart was breaking. “You are your father´s heir. You belong with him, not with... me, and my child´s tales. You are older now, Inziladûn. You must understand!” A sob betrayed her. “Forget about me and pursue your destiny. Learn to be a king of Númenor, and make me proud.”

“No! I do not want to understand!” he shouted. “I do not want to be a king of Númenor!”

“Hush!” she cried, listening for noises on the adjoining room. If Gimilzôr found him here... she thought, trying to grab at the last straws of normalcy until the terrible realisation dawned upon her that nobody would be able to take her son from her again, because she had sent him away herself.

Unable to keep her feelings at bay any longer, she bowed her head, and her body shook with wrenching sobs. The boy stared at her in silence, but when she grabbed blindly at him he did not pull away.

“I love you. “she whispered on his ear. “I will always love you, more than anybody else in the world. Never forget this.”

He accepted the declaration in silence, clutching her nightgown again. Inzilbêth felt a painful pride stir inside her aching chest, at her little child that understood everything like an adult.

And yet, she realised through the blur of her own tears, he was still crying like a little child.

“Come, now.” she muttered brokenly, lying over the mattress again. “I will tell you the tale. I promised... remember?”

Inziladûn let himself be manouevred again without offering any resistance. As his body touched the mattress, however, he suddenly wiggled away from her grasp, jumped from the bed, where he stopped for a moment to look at her –and disappeared into the shadows.

 

Interlude I: Hopes

Read Interlude I: Hopes

“And Zeus said to Helios: “Do you see this child? (...) He is your son. So swear by my Sceptre and by yours that you will care for him above all things, that you will protect him and cure him from disease. For you can see how he is covered in smoke, dirt and cinder, and there is a risk that the fire you once put in him will be quenched, unless you show yourself in full might. I will help you, and so will the Fates. Take care of him, and raise him.”

Upon hearing those words, King Helios felt joy, and happiness at the creature. He discovered that in him still lay a tiny spark of himself, and from then on he protected the child from afar, saving him from bloodshed, the angry mob and the massacre. And Father Zeus told Athena, the virgin born from no mother, to tend to the small child together with Helios.

Once that the boy grew up, and became a young man whose first beard was beginning to show, and whose age was the most enjoyable, understanding the legion of evils that had infected his house and kinsmen he was about to throw himself into Tartarus, horrified at their magnitude. But Helios, in his goodwill, together with Athena the Protectress, plunged him into a a deep sleep that dissuaded him from the idea; upon waking, he retired in solitude. He found a small rock where he could rest, and examined his heart to find a way in which he could escape such great evil, for in that moment he felt as if everything was filled with malice and there was nothing good left in the world. Then, Hermes, who thought of him as a kinsman, showed himself to him in the shape of a young man of his same age, greeted him kindly, and said: “Come here, for I will guide you through an easier and smoother road, once that you have crossed this steep and craggy region where all men stumble and retreat. “

And the youth began his travel, filled with piety, and carrying with him a sword, a shield and a spear, though his head was bare. Trusting Hermes, he advanced through a smooth and untrodden road, wholly purified and filled with magnificent fruits and flowers, all which the gods themselves loved, and trees covered with ivy, laurel, and myrtle.”

 (Flavius Claudius Julianus, “Against the Cynic Heraklios”)

 

 

 

Year 3062 of the Second Age – 30th year of the reign of Ar-Sakalthôr

 

 

His father leaned back with closed eyes, putting the letter back on his table. There was the distinct sound of creaking paper, and then a small breath, like an almost inaudible sigh.

“Father.” he muttered, advancing a step towards him.

The older man gave a vague nod of acknowledgement, but did not move.

“How is she?” Valandil asked. Eärendur shook his head, and his son could see a brief flicker of sadness cross his features.

“She lives.”

Valandil reached his side, extending a comforting hand to lay it on his shoulder. Long ago, they had argued –so fiercely that they had even reached the core of each other, and discovered things that usually remained hidden behind stoic countenances and formal smiles. He had seen an unbearable pain cloud Eärendur´s eyes, and doubt and anguish upon the brow of the man who had always led them without faltering.

Is it necessary?Is it really necessary?

He swallowed, forcing his stare to meet that of his father.

“It was necessary.” he answered his own floating question of years past, in a tone of quiet acceptance. For a moment, it seemed as if Eärendur would show surprise.

Soon, however, his brow unfurled, and his features relaxed slightly.

“He is a fine young man.”

“He must have reached his majority by now.”

“Aye. Next year he will be twenty-eight.”

Valandil nodded, not surprised at his father´s exactitude. He knew that Eärendur followed the young man´s progress avidly from afar, with the full strength of his deep beliefs and hopes for the change, even though he had not been allowed in his presence even once.

And he knew, too, that his father felt in his heart that this situation would not last forever.

“Soon.” he muttered.

Almost involuntarily, both sought the Palace hill from their window, letting their glance linger for a while over the Western Wing. Bathed in the light of the setting sun, the lacquered towers and terraces stood proudly upon the brink of the precipice.

Eärendur smiled.

“Very soon.”

 

Last Preparations

Read Last Preparations

Year 3063 –31st year of the reign of Ar-Sakalthôr

 

 

The roar of water was deafening, exploding inside his ears like the rumble of thunder. Under his feet, the constricting pull became stronger and stronger by the moment. He tried to fight it, tried with all his might, but as much as he ran he was always claimed back by the Sea´s giant, gaping mouth.

Anguish filled his very being, and hair-rising terror. He knew it was drawing close at a fulminant speed, but he could not escape. He could not escape.

Ahead of him, a woman was also trying to fight the pull of the current. Her hands were white, and a mane of dark hair fell long and free over slight shoulders. He saw her stumble and fall, and rushed to her side, frantically trying to grab her up, to save her at all costs.

She pulled away from him, and was engulfed by the black waters.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Inziladûn awoke with a start. The first light of dawn was already filtering inside his rooms, though for a while he couldn´t even distinguish the lines of the dishevelled sheets of his own bed. He was covered in sweat and shivering at the same time, his heart beating fast.

The old nightmare again, he thought. And yet not... no, it had not been exactly the same. That woman- he had seen her before, but never with the same intensity as he had now. She was always running ahead of him, silently refusing to let him see her face. And she had always felt distant and strangely dim, with the unreal quality of dreams, not vivid and almost... physical, like when she pulled away from him this time.

Inziladûn shook his head, and left the bed. The chill of the morning air over the warm humidity of sweat made him feel momentarily cold, but he forced himself to pay no heed. He walked towards the empty terrace, barefoot over the cold engraved figures of the mosaics. The sight of the garden, wild yet luxurious, slowly calmed his mind and helped his throat to unclench.

Long ago, Inziladûn had understood that this nightmare was a part of himself. Nobody else shared it, and nobody knew how to help him with it, but some had told him that it would pass over time, and he knew that it wouldn´t. In further attempts to understand its meaning, he had read books and reflected upon its slightest details and how they changed –until he was told by the only person whose advice he really respected that if he allowed this fruitless search to continue, the dark visions would ruin his day as they ruined his night. Then, he had decided not to think about them anymore, and banish their horror from his mind as soon as he woke up.

Now and then, he was assaulted by the distant remembrance of a time when two soft arms would encircle him warmly and calm his fears. This always brought pain, more even than the visions themselves.

Inziladûn took a long breath, and returned inside. There was no time for remembrances today. Today was too important, and if things went well, he might even regain a part of what he had lost. But he had to be in full posession of his wits for this.

A bleary-eyed man, used to his early habits, came in with a washbasin soon afterwards. He laid it upon the table and left with a bow, used too, it seemed, to his further eccentricities.

Such a noble servant, Inziladûn mused idly as he began washing his face with cold water. His father was a powerful man known as the Provider of Washbasins for the Western Wing, or something that sounded just as ridiculous. Both of them would poison him gladly if they could, knowing that the first thing he planned to do as soon as he held the Sceptre was to end this nonsense that had kept growing out of control for the last twenty years. He had certainly been quite vocal about it in the past- and now, the establishment of an uneasy truce did not mean that a lasting peace would ensue.

His father, of course, had been wroth with him, when word reached his ears that his elder son, upon reaching his majority, had refused to admit the people that were sent to dress him up in the morning. He had given him a long lecture about how a prince couldn´t insult his subjects this way, about how a prince should be convenably dressed –he could take care of his own body, thank you very much!-, and then finally gave up and resorted to threats. Inziladûn, usually respectful, had shown that he could hold his own in this department, announcing that if he was forced to accept as much as one of them in his chambers, he would appear naked at the next Council session.

They probably think I go naked already, he snorted, feeling his nightmare dissolve in mist as he threw a plain –but silk- shirt over his shoulders. The contrast between his garb and that of his father and brother was so great that sometimes even he thought he had to be. Maybe it had something to do with the absence of twenty dressing servants trying to make themselves useful around him.

Not long after he was fully dressed, another Palace minister, a woman this time, came in to leave the breakfast tray. He ate it quickly on the porch, regretting that today he could not do so in the garden itself for fear of soiling his clothes. It would be advisable not to push Prince Gimilzôr´s patience too far, and today of all days he needed his father to be well-disposed towards him.

Once he was finished, he fingered through a book -ship building through the ages- to help pass his remaining time. The idea of the many battles that awaited him, however, had already begun to send hectic impulses to his brain, and he felt unable to concentrate on the dreary technical prose.

Eventually, the hour came. Carefully putting the volume in its place, Inziladûn took out the unavoidable purple cloak, and smoothed out its wrinkles. Then, he left his rooms, to undertake a long journey through the Palace´s thousand corridors towards the Council chamber.

As he was about to leave the Western wing through the Red Flower Gallery, he made sure that none of the women who perused the place daily was there to see him, and peeked through the varnished lattice in the direction of the sky. There lay the tall North Wing, with its densely curtained windows and walled gardens. The palm tree garden, the only one that could be seen from his vantage point, was still empty, and its inner doors closed. A smile spread through his features.

Quickening his pace even further –to the fright of some Court ladies that he encountered on the way-, Inziladûn entered the Audience Chamber barely fifteen minutes later. There was much animation in the place, full of gossiping groups, talks and muffled laughs. He saw none of the Council members among this moderate ruckus, however, so he assumed that they had already been given leave to enter the Council Chamber.

Just as he had imagined, some of the most important men in the realm were busy taking their seats around the imposing ebony table at the second hall, while others bade their time in conversation next to the chair of some friend or ally. Only one man among them sat alone, serious and silent, at the end of the table that stood farther from the entrance. It was Valandil, son of Eärendur, and the Council representative of the lords of Andúnië this year.

Inziladûn waded across the chief courtiers, governors, priests and landholders of Númenor, answering their greetings politely though the inner, wilder part of him soon became tired of the slow formality and repetition. When he finally reached his rightful seat, he could not prevent himself from letting go of a brief sigh of relief, and Valandil, who sat close to him, allowed a smile to curve his grim features for a moment.

Inziladûn mumbled a greeting, so shocked at his own carelessness that he even forgot about the condolences that he was supposed to offer for his kinswoman´s death. A bit red on the cheeks, he began arranging the sheets of paper and writing material in front of him, to make sure that they would be handy as soon as he needed them.

Being his father´s secretary was harder than what it seemed at first sight. The Council rarely went past one or two decisions per session, and many words were repeated over and over under slightly different disguises. If he had been allowed to, Inziladûn would have summed everything up in one brief, neat paragraph, but unfortunately this was not the Prince´s preferred method. Gimilzôr expected him to note down every word exactly as it had been said, and to record the name of the person who had said it. Sometimes, Inziladûn wondered if his father spent his afternoons staring at the papers with a frown, trying to decide if each choice of a word meant treason or not.

Just as he was trying to banish this irreverent image from his mind, he heard a sound of footsteps coming from the Northern door, and immediately stood and bowed. The conversations at the other side of the hall froze to a halt, as the Council members followed his example to honour the arrival of Gimilzôr.

The Prince sat at the head of the table, next to his son, and offered them a carefully studied wave of his hand.

“Sit down.” he commanded. Inziladûn obeyed, sending a passing glance in his father´s direction.

As every other day, whether he was going to make a public appearance or not, the Prince was dressed quite elaborately. His purple cloak fell down his back in careful folds, and his dress was made of a dark velvet that made a perfect contrast of hues with the dark golden trimming. Long, black curls fell down his back in seeming freedom, but being seated at a close distance Inziladûn was aware that they had been treated with an oily product that would keep them in place under the fiercest wind. And dyed in brilliant black so the first signs of silver would not shine through, Inziladûn thought, as always marvelling at such vanity.

For a second, his gaze crossed his father´s stony, regular yet fleshy features, the dark eyes and the frown in the pale forehead, but he tore it away before Gimilzôr could notice. The Prince was tense in the midst of his artful majesty, worried about something, and Inziladûn did not need to think too hard to guess why his father was worried. The thought that he might go back on his word and forbide him from travelling crossed his mind for a moment, bringing a pang to his stomach.

That was unthinkable.

A few minutes passed by in tenuous silence, with some sounds of whispering coming from the other side of the table. As Gimilzôr did not move, and his frown increased and turned into a sign of a less deep kind of irritation, Inziladûn became aware of the empty seat at his father´s other side.

Finally, the creaking sound of a huge door being opened and then closed brought everybody´s attention towards the entrance. Gimilzôr glared at his newly arrived younger son, who apologised without looking much embarrassed.

“You are late.”

Gimilkhâd walked towards his seat, among the mostly indulgent looks of the Council members. Inziladûn could not help but shake his head, but his brother did not even look in his direction. Carefully, so the fabric of his clothes would not get a single wrinkle, he sat down with a high chin, a perfect copy of their father in all except the youth on his face and his braided hair.

It had been a new idea of Gimilzôr to allow– force would have been a better word- his twenty-year-old son to assist to Council sessions, so he could start learning the skill of conducting government affairs. Inziladûn, so far, had not noticed any progress, as his brother spent the whole time learning how to stare convincingly at the speaker while his thoughts wandered away. And then, there had been those rumours of a new woman of late....

How could any woman love a man who spent more time on his hair than she did?

Inziladûn bit his lip, wondering why he always had to be so harsh towards Gimilkhâd in his thoughts. They had been born from the same womb, and yet they had not grown up together –while he had been taken to the Western wing, as the heir´s heir, his brother had been entrusted to the care of a lady who had rooms on the Southern wing of the Palace.

The first time that they had actually spoken to each other, he remembered, they had been at their father´s gardens. Gimilkhâd had approached the bench where he sat reading a book, and began staring at him in awe. Inziladûn was nonplussed at the dark-eyed little boy´s lack of manners, and closed his book to look back at him.

Gimilkhâd was frozen in place, though soon his curiosity managed to overpower his wariness. Bravely, he hid his trepidation behind a cheeky mask, and decided to stand his ground.

“Can you really... see what I´m thinking?” he asked.

Inziladûn flinched. He hated it when people said that. He couldn´t see anybody´s thoughts, like some sort of Elven sorcerer... anyone could guess at the faces of people who did not bother to hide their emotions.

Your thoughts are obvious enough.” he replied. Years after, as he thought about it, he wondered if it had been the nicest thing that he could have said.

In any case, as they had both grown and they had further ocassions to talk, he had always felt remarkably unable to show any affection, and Gimilkhâd had not tried again. As a boy he had fled him, and he still did, if under a less conspicuous guise –instead of keeping a distance whenever they met in public, now he preferred to cloak his uneasiness under a display of arrogant exuberance. This attitude had endeared him to their father, the ladies and the courtiers, but Inziladûn found it overdone, a too magnificent wrapping to hide a petty fear.

Years ago, he had learned that a Númenorean king had to feel seriously disappointed to have a second son, and that this was unheard of since the time of Ar-Adunakhôr. Not much else had been needed to realise where he stood in the family, but he had never been able to nail the real reason why he was such a disappointment. All that he knew was that he displeased the Prince and the King, and Gimilkhâd did not.

“... session we will discuss our policies towards our Middle-Earth colonies.”

Gimilzôr´s voice took Inziladûn out of his musings, and he automatically started scribbling. And for the next hours this was all that he did, quietly grumbling at the need of so many words to say so little. The King would send inspectors to oversee the works in Umbar, but maybe it would be best to wait until it was time for the desert tribes to pay their tributes. Or not, because then there would be too much to do to waste time in overseeing petty repairs. The Merchant Princes would certainly not object to a delay. And, by the way, what of the latest rumours of barbarian incursions...?

When Gimilzôr decided to put an end to the session, Inziladûn´s fingers felt entirely numb. Relieved, he walked towards the door of the Audience Chamber, where Valandil approached him with a bow.

“Looking forward to tomorrow morning, my lord?”

Inziladûn blinked, taken by surprise.

“I should have told you before”, he apologised, as soon as he could gather his wits. Looking at the older man, however, he was unsettled by a glance of pure, amused serenity, and he almost felt foolish saying the formal words. “My deepest condolences for your noble mother´s passing. It was a tragedy.”

Valandil smiled.

“It was sad, but hardly a tragedy, my lord. She was of very advanced age, and in the right state of mind. Now she has left for a better place”, he added, though there his voice became so low that even Inziladûn had problems hearing it.

Still, his lack of despair was quite genuine, the Prince´s heir realised in shock. No trace of tears, of a sleepless night, no hidden anguish showing in his countenance when the name of the one he had lost to Darkness was mentioned in front of him. Was his father right after all, in thinking that the Lords of Andunië were soft-spoken and unfeeling?

“I have already prepared everything that we will need for our journey, my lord”, the sea-grey eyed enigma changed subject with perfect composure. Inziladûn saw his father and his brother walking in their direction, and suspected this to be the reason. Tomorrow´s shared trip was a safe, impersonal subject to breach in front of Gimilzôr.

“I fear I will not be allowed to do as much as taste your bread, Lord Valandil”, he took the cue in a conversational tone. The Prince, who had already reached their side, arched an eyebrow.

“And why, pray, would there be such a ban on our friend´s food?” His undertone was clear, do not reveal anything in front of this man. Inziladûn smiled pleasantly as the other man bowed low.

“Because the King and the Prince would not allow the magnificence of the Royal House to be outstripped by anyone”, he said. Gimilzôr´s features relaxed a little.

“I plan on sending a sizeable entourage with you, indeed”, he admitted. “In your return way, you will visit the Sacred Cave and present your respects in our stead.”

Inziladûn nodded. To have him take over the royal family´s responsibility of the annual visit to the Sea Queen´s sanctuary had been his father´s way to make sure that his formal condolence visit to Andustar would not last for a day longer than necessary. This, on the other hand, was no heavy burden for him- he had been wishing to visit that place since his childhood.

“And how will he do this, Father? Not even the sacred prostitutes will let him in until he shaves and does his hair properly!”

Gimilzôr frowned at his younger son´s sally, though Valandil smiled out of courtesy. Inziladûn briefly pondered the childishness of telling Gimilkhâd that braids had been an Elvish invention.

“I would wish that you did do your hair properly, Inziladûn”, Gimilzôr said, “but if you act with the required dignity, I shall be content enough. Now, follow me; the hour of prayer is near at hand.”

All three bowed and fell behind Gimilzôr, and they were followed in turn by the Council members who still exchanged the last impressions nearby.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The subterranean chapel of Ashtarte-Uinen was dark, except for the faint light of torches than hung from the irregular, humid walls. Centuries ago, delvers had found a water well under the very courtyard of the royal palace, and the place, small and damp like a woman´s womb, had become the rightful home of the goddess soon afterwards.

Inziladûn stumbled in the shadows, blinded for a moment, until he set his eyes on the small statue at the front. The Queen was holding a child, whose little hands played with her naked breast. Quietly, he sat down next to Her, and began his prayers while the movements of the people behind him, and of his own father as he burned inciense at the altar became nothing but a meaningless buzz in the distance.

“Queen of the Seas, silver foam, radiant moon....”

The goddess´s serene, loving smile gleamed under the torchlight. Since he had been a child, Inziladûn had liked to believe that She was smiling for him, a mother whose love was too large and powerful to be imprisoned between cold walls.

“...Mother of all, hold me in your arms, protect me...”

Lost in his whispered communion with the Lady, he almost jumped with a start when he felt a hand touching his shoulder. Managing to regain his composure in time, he smothered an irrational feeling of cold and disappointment as Gimilzôr´s dark eyes looked down on him.

“Follow me”, he said. Inziladûn nodded, and with a last, longing glance at the sanctuary, stood up and left the cave at his father´s heels.

The long and laborious ascension through steps carved in stone helped him to return to the reality at hand. Blinded again at the end of the journey, this time by sunlight, he blinked, and saw his father waiting for him with his entourage.

Once that he had taken his rightful place at the front, the whole retinue crossed the centre of the courtyard, cloaks billowing with the soft action of the breeze. At their right stood the White Tree, once the main ornament of the oldest square in Armenelos, before the extension of the Palace in Ar-Adunakhôr´s time had reduced it to a mere obstacle in the First Courtyard of the Main Compound. Inziladûn had read that the extraordinary tree was of Elvish origin, and that the kings of the past who were friendly with the Elves had planted it as a symbol of their alliance. He had immediately believed that story: that tree had to be Elvish, because it roused strange and unknown emotions on him whenever he gazed at it. It made him feel sad.

Others, however, he had soon discovered, were greatly afraid of it. None of the two thousand people who lived in the Palace ever walked in its immediate vicinity, and though Inziladûn´s tutor and friend Maharbal had told him that those were old women´s legends, not even the Umbarian philosopher had allowed the curious child to step too close.

Turning away from the dangerous thing, he followed his father back into the Main Compound and into the Prince´s own chambers, where everyone else was dismissed. There, he found that a table set for two was already waiting for them in the parlour.

“Sit down”, Gimilzôr invited. Inziladûn obeyed, and, knowing his father well enough, was not surprised at the long silence that followed. Feeling his hunger awaken, he fell upon the excellent meal, and put each dish away with quiet shows of appreciation. Gimilzôr detested any kind of talk at the dining table.

Only after he had wiped his mouth with a scented napkin for the last time, the Prince leaned back, and cleaned his throat.

“Inziladûn”, he began. His son nodded, immediately taking his eyes away from the man who was picking up his father´s dishes. “You must know that neither the King nor I feel at ease about sending you to the Western lands for this condolence trip. We would have sent anyone else if it had been possible –but unfortunately, it was not. It would be a sad insult for our majesty to go ourselves, and you are our heir and kin to them.”

Inziladûn cleaned his throat in turn. This meant that there would be no further risk of a last-minute counter decision.

“I understand. And I will do my best to be at the height of your expectations.”

Gimilzôr shook his head, and let go of the softest of sighs.

“You know what I have told you so many times. Those people are cunning and deceitful. They will try to entice you with their charming manners, to lure you with fantastical tales about this island´s legendary past. You are intelligent, my son.” Inziladûn bowed slightly at the unexpected compliment.” But you are also impetuous, and entirely too impressionable.” A shadow came upon Gimilzôr´s features, and for a moment, his son surprised a look that was entirely too vulnerable in his eyes. Posessive... or frightened?

Before he could guess which, however, Inziladûn had to lower his head, and force himself to follow the colourful patterns of the mantelpiece. He knew better than to stare at his father in this manner. Since he grew enough of a brain as to remember, Gimilzôr had taken his son´s piercing stares very ill.

For a while, a heavy silence fell upon them. Then, the Prince broke it with the most agitated tone of voice that Inziladûn could remember.

“You are my son, Inziladûn. My son and my heir. I must trust you.”

Inziladûn´s eyes widened in shock.

“I have never given you a reason to believe otherwise!”

But then, even as he pronounced those words, he knew that this was not wholly true. Ever loyal, mostly obliging, Inziladûn´s thoughts were his own, and even now he was planning something that his father would not like.

And still, he thought, there were no charming manners that could make him forget his obligations towards the Royal house of Armenelos.

“I will serve the King and you to the best of my abilities”, he swore, for once openly locking his father´s eyes into his. Gimilzôr withstood the sea-grey glint for a moment, then frowned and shook his head as if to free it from an unwelcome thought.

“You may leave and finish your preparations”, he dismissed him.

Inziladûn bowed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The rest of the afternoon passed away comparatively quickly. Inziladûn had to devote it to the last preparations for his journey, and in spite of the fact that he was not carrying much for himself, long and tedious lists of presents for the Sacred Cave and for the grieving family kept him busy for a long time. His escort, moreover, had a new leader as from the previous day: his former chief tutor Hannon, Palace Priest of Melkor. He had been picked by his father, no doubt with strict instructions to report on all his sayings and doings, and as if this wasn´t hardship enough for Inziladûn, the wretched man had immediately insisted on bringing four carts of “provisions” and a train of twenty-five personal servants with him.

Once that he could say that everything was packed and in its rightful place, the Prince´s heir retired to his chambers, early, he said “so he could be fully rested for tomorrow´s journey”, but in truth because the time was near to carry the plan that he had been carefully mulling for the last days. As he closed the door behind his back, a familiar restlessness began to prey on his mind and body at the vicinity of both risk and reward, yet he forced himself to pick a book and wait until the hour was late enough.

Finally, the hour came. Leaving the book aside –of which he could not even recall the title-, Inziladûn slipped away from his chambers, and walked through the shadows of the deserted corridors. The Red Flower Gallery was empty, with the exception of a couple who fled through a side arch, more worried about being detected than they were of tracking his movements. In silence, he crossed it, and passed by a fountain of golden fishes to enter the palm tree garden.

The first step in forbidden territory, he thought, and the idea caused an unknown emotion to twist around his stomach. He had rarely felt afraid of anything, but what was at stake now was no mere trifle. For a moment, the full awareness of the risk even caused him to consider abandoning the enterprise.

But he couldn´t. It was too important. For twenty years he had waited, crafting impossible plans and learning to calculate directions, angles and distances, and now, at the eve of a journey where many questions could find their answers, it had finally become possible. This had to be a sign of the Goddess, Inziladûn was sure.

Remembering to utter a prayer demanding Her succour, he eyed the house that stood at the far end of the garden with a critical glance. It was the back wall, of course, as the front belonged to an inner courtyard of the North Wing, but it had a window that allowed the lady who lived there to look at the palm trees without having to show herself to the eyes of lesser courtiers. It was the home of the Lady of the Northern Keys, who, after a lifetime of faithful service, had left the Palace this month to look after her mother.

Inziladûn grabbed the bars, testing them at the same time, and pulled until his right foot could reach the windowsill. Then, he hoisted himself up, and stood tenuously upon the narrow space.

In that position, his outstretched hands could find support on the lower part of the roof, and he tiptoed and stretched all that he could to be able to grab a safer portion of it. As he balanced over, trying to land one of his legs on the heights, he knocked the wall a couple of times. In spite of knowing that the house was empty, he felt himself cringe at the noise.

Once that he managed to roll his body over the cold tiles, he lay there for a while, recovering from his exertions and the dull ache in his hands. After a few minutes, however, he forced himself to stand up again, and began climbing the bent surface of the roof to the highest place. From that vantage point, he could already steal a first peek at the inner courtyard, at its fountains and terraces, and yet what commanded his full attention was the building that hung above his head.

That would be the scenario of the most dangerous stage of his plan. Since years ago, Inziladûn had been digging up childhood remembrances, arranging and rearranging them with his own calculations, and decided that the terrace at the back of her rooms had to be exactly there. But a shadow of a doubt still ate at some corner of his mind, and he wondered if he could have been betrayed by a child´s overactive imagination. One less turn, one less stretch of the dark corridors that looked so frightening after a nightmare...

Discarding those thoughts at once, and muttering a new prayer, Inziladûn tested the solidness of the lush plant that climbed over the stone wall, under a bunch of fragrant flowers that showed their full beauty only at night. Most of the stalks were still too young, and unable to support the weight of a grown man, but in his increasingly desperate search, he found their mother: a very ancient stalk that had almost become one with the stone that supported it, wider than his arm and running in zigzag until the balcony was at reaching distance. It was dangerous, but he could do it.

The climbing, in spite of his fears, did not present too many problems. Inziladûn was careful never to look down, and he followed the same stalk patiently instead of being lured towards a more treacherous support that promised a shorter path. Now and then he felt a minor debris of twigs, leaves and flowers fall over the roof of the absent Lady of the Northern Keys, farther away from his feet at each minute .

When at last he could touch the marble railing of the balcony, he almost let go of a cry of triumph. Hurriedly, he hoisted himself up again, and sought the new surroundings with an avid glance.

He saw a porch covered in boughs, filled with blooming, sweet-scented white flowers. One small fountain reflected the silvery gleam of the moon over running waters. A feeling of peace that Inziladûn only recalled from his dreams pervaded the place, filling him with a strange urge to weep.

His conscious mind remembered that fountain among all others, the one where he had fallen as a child as he tried to catch a slippery fish with his hands. And deeper inside, his heart recognised this quiet, ever unchanging and ever mysterious, that he had sought and never found in the shifty and complicated world outside. A strong feeling of loss gripped at his heart with a numbing intensity.

He was home.

Filled with a renewed sense of purpose, he walked the garden paths towards the porch, and knocked softly at the locked door. She was there, lying on her bed like the last time that her small son had sought her in this place. He knew. Nothing he had done or experienced in the last twenty years had truly happened.

After a while, the sound of soft footsteps approaching in some hesitation reached his ears. He swallowed; his heart was beating quicker than ever.

Once again, he repeated the knock. He heard a sharp intake of breath at the other side of the door.

“Princess” he whispered, barely loud enough for her to catch his words. “I am your son.”

For a moment, even the soft sound of her breathing was quenched. Then, there was a quick fumbling for something and a sharp click, and the door slid open revealing a pair of huge, incredulous grey eyes.

“Inziladûn?” she asked, with a little sharp cry. He laid an instinctive hand upon her mouth.

“Ssssh. There must be people in the front. They must not hear me.”

Inzilbêth nodded. As if she was dancing in a trance, she stumbled backwards, until she fell upon an ivory chair. Inziladûn´s eyes distinguished the shape of a lamp on the small table at her side, and with trembling hands he sought for the lighter. The soft flicker of the flame revealed to him a pale oval face, whose features were contorted in an expression that he found hard to decipher, a turmoil of disbelief, fear and longing.

Sure that his own face mirrored her feelings, he took a step forwards, and swallowed the knot in his throat. Her hand darted up and touched his cheek tentatively, as if she wasn´t sure that he could be real.

A smile creased her lips, and a tear flowed down her cheek.

“Inziladûn... You-you have grown so much! But... to come all the way here...”

“I had planned it carefully. The Lady of the Northern Keys was on leave, and tomorrow I will be leaving, so I thought there would be no better opportunity”, he babbled, appalled at his own tone. The smile disappeared, cloaked by sadness and guilt, and she stared at her feet.

“I am sorry. I am so sorry, I didn´t want to... but would you believe me if I tried to... tell you why I did it? Would you understand...?”

Inziladûn forced himself to look into her eyes. Prey to her real emotions, to her grief and love for him, she was much fairer than the Princess who stood away from him in formal ceremonies, her body covered in silks and jewels and a vacant expression upon her eyes. And yet, she was so small... had she been so small, before?

“I would”, he said, grimacing as a painful memory fought its way into his mind. “It was Father, was it not? Back then, he said that it had been a good idea. I always knew it had been him.”

Inzilbêth shook her head, moved.

“No, Inziladûn! It was me... I... I feared that he would grow to despise you. Then, I was pregnant with Gimilkhâd, and I knew... I knew that you would never be in his favour as long as you were my son. I was so afraid that he would harm you!”

Inziladûn knelt on the floor and laid his hands upon her shoulders, trying to calm her down. This movement caused him to be caught in a feeling of unreality –their roles were reversed, and he had found the mother who comforted him only to realise that she had become the child, small and trembling.

Avidly, she grabbed one of his hands with both of hers. Her eyes trailed over its lines, its creases, its new size, and then over his arms and shoulders, his sharp nose, his beard and his sea-grey eyes. Inziladûn suspected that she still believed herself in a dream.

After a while, a laugh broke in her features, soft and full of joy.

“My child!” she cried, sliding down the chair and pulling him into an embrace. She felt warm and smelled good, like the white flower boughs that grew in her garden. Inziladûn felt her hands caress his face over and over, marvelling over each little detail with the hunger of a lover. Then, she laid her head over his shoulder, and lay there for a while in contentment.

Feeling a strong emotion that prevented him from uttering a word, he pulled her body closer. How many times had he dreamed of her embrace, even as he prayed to the Goddess to hold him in her arms?

At last, however, he had to remember his mission. With great reluctance he forced his body to tear apart from hers, and slowly, she also pulled herself up.

“Tomorrow morning, I will leave the Palace”, he whispered. “I am travelling to Andunië with Valandil on a condolence visit for the death of his mother. Father did not want to send me, but there was no other option... and I need to know before I go, Mother.” He took a sharp intake of breath, then looked at her in the eye. “Why did Father take Gimilkhâd and me away from you, and what does your kin have to do with it?”

Inzilbêth wiped away the wet traces from her cheek, trying to regain her composure. She crossed her arms over her chest, as if protecting herself from the cold, and smiled weakly.

“My mother´s kin are Gimilzôr´s enemies. They adore other gods, hold a great influence in the West, and he thinks that they want to usurp the Sceptre. You know that“, she said. “Two years before you were born, he allowed them to return from their exile in the East... and married me.”

Inziladûn shook his head, baffled.

“I never understood why. Why call them back, why marry you if he detested them so much?”

“Because your father, Inziladûn, fears whatever he cannot control“, she replied with a grimace. “I was a naive girl, almost a child when I married him, and I did not understand, either. But I do now. With Lord Eärendur in the Council, his family in the capital, his most faithful followers in the East and I in his palace, he felt that they would not be able to do anything behind his back.”

“A hostage”, he guessed, slightly nauseated. She sighed.

“And then you were born... Since the first moment, you looked like my mother´s kin. You loved me, and listened to my tales. Your father ... believed that I was an agent of Lord Eärendur and that I was poisoning your ears and turning you against him. He decided to have another son, and I was told that this would mean danger for you. So I had to let you go... to protect you...”

Tears gathered again in her eyes, and he tried to comfort her while letting the shocking new piece of information sink inside his brain. So his father had thought that he... even as a child, he had viewed him as one of them?

An agent of Lord Eärendur...

“Inziladûn...” she began. Her hand sought for something on the surface of the table, but in an involuntary movement she pushed the silver lighter to the floor. A sharp, metallic noise broke the stillness of the night, magnified by their fear and trepidation.

Inziladûn was the one who reacted first, while she was still paralysed by the extent of her mishap. With trembling hands, he sought for the doorknob, and ran out to hide in the garden. For a while, he crouched behind a tall flowerbed, keeping still and muttering a prayer.

When the door opened again with a creaking sound, he almost betrayed a start, but then realised that it was nothing but Inzilbêth in a white, flowing nightgown. She stared right and left, in growing desperation.

Sighing in relief, Inziladûn crawled out of his hiding place and waved to her. She ran towards him, in such haste that she nearly tripped over the hem of her robes.

“I thought you were already gone”, she whispered. He shook his head, though this very movement was wrought with a heavy realisation.

“I must go, nevertheless “, he sighed. “If anyone finds me here...”

Sadness creased her features, slowly turning into acceptance.

“I... know. I know you must.” Nodding several times, as if trying to convince herself, she took him by the hand and walked towards the balcony. “You came by this way? But... it´s so dangerous!”

“And yet, it was the only way. It is the only way”, he rectified, looking down and making sure that there was still no one in sight. Even as he was doing this, she threw her arms over him and pulled him into a tight embrace.

“Back then, I kept living because I knew that one day I would be able to speak to you again “, she whispered into his ear. “And now you have grown so much! I am so proud of you...”

Inziladûn swallowed hard. His voice came out hoarse.

“We will meet again. When I come back from this trip...”

“I will wait for you.”

Smiling back, with a gesture meant to reassure her, he climbed the railing and sought for the stalk among the thick foliage. As he let his body slide down, he felt immediately bereaved, as if darkness had engulfed him once again.

The last thing that he could hear was her anxious whispers, as she leaned over the balcony to follow his trajectory.

“They are good people, Inziladûn. Be careful! Listen to what they have to say, give them a chance... do not be like your father...”

I will not, he promised, to himself and to her, while he carefully found his way back through plant, roof and window. When he finally felt the ground under his feet, he resumed his walk down the path of the palm trees, his mind lost in a confused turmoil of musings.

For a moment, he thought he had heard something in the distance, like a faint sound of whispering and rustling of robes. But when he sought the arches of the Red Flower Gallery in alarm, everything was dark and silent, and he told himself that he had imagined it.

 

Andúnië

Read Andúnië

The trip was long, and unlike anything that Inziladûn had ever experienced. As soon as their horses left Armenelos behind, glittering like a treasure of white, red and amber gems that lay over the slope of Meneltarma, he already felt like he had entered a new world. Gone were the gardens and streets, the jeweled temples, the markets. In their place, large fields stretched out of his vision, their flawless green barely spotted with small houses painted in white, people who toiled in colourful yet simple clothes, and now and then a village where everybody abandoned their duties for a moment of open-mouthed amazement as they passed by.

 

This sight was a novelty because of the unusual time of the year and the larger retinue, Valandil told him matter-of-factly on the first day. Inziladûn nodded, still uneasy at the lack of a more grieving reaction for the reason that had brought them to travel. That night, as they both shared a somewhat doughy stew that had elicited a bitter set of complaints from Hannon, he could not help but profit from his old teacher´s absence to satisfy his curiosity. Valandil did not seem offended at his blunt questioning in the least, and, like a man who finds pleasure in satisfying the impertinent queries of a child, had explained to Inziladûn that his family believed that death was no curse, that it brought rest and healing to those that needed it, and that the spirits of the dead crossed the Circles of the World and reached a better place.

 

He was not able to prove the truth of any of those points to Inziladûn´s satisfaction, but the young man was fascinated by them nonetheless. Later, while he sought a difficult sleep in an alien bed, he thought that maybe the mere belief of a blissful afterlife could make the lives of Men more blissful than they were now, independently from its proved truth or falsehood. The problem was that nothing but a proved truth would be able to convince a doomed soul to abandon its fears.

 

And yet, those people... they did believe it.

 

As the journey followed its course, Inziladûn´s curiosity about his kinsman grew even further. During their long rides on horseback, so exhilarating for a man who had been caged in a golden palace for his whole life, and so stimulating for the boy who had always been attentive to the smallest novelties, Valandil was silent, watching his enthusiasm with a small and grave smile. But at nights, with or without Hannon, he became a pleasant conversationalist, able to arouse their interest on any subject and skilful to avoid any controversial topic. The sullen Council member seemed to have been nothing but a ghost created by Inziladûn´s imagination.

 

They will try to entice you with their charming manners, his father had said, warning him against the dangers that would assail him in this journey. And yet, the longer he travelled with Eärendur´s heir at his side, the more a genuine feeling of respect and liking grew inside Inziladûn´s heart. He liked that elegant gravity, so different both from the noisy exuberance of the people of Armenelos and the coldness of his father. He admired his natural ease at everything that he did and appreciated his conversation, though a strange feeling of outwordliness still assaulted him at times, when he realised that nothing was able to make the light in the man´s eyes burn more intense.

 

On the noon of a beautiful day, their horses trod over the dust of Andustar for the first time. Inziladûn´s wide eyes drank in every single detail of his beloved mother´s childhood home, from the fertile and mysteriously deserted fields of the South to the rocky, ragged peaks of the North, where birds of many kinds built their nests. Valandil´s eyes still did not change, but for the first time Inziladûn saw something similar to a faint glow in them as they rode side by side through his lands. He told his young companion that the Southern lands were deserted because many of the people who used to till them were now in the East. He revealed that the birds who nested on the Northern peaks were friends to his family, and that the Lords of Andúnië also lived on a nest of their own.

 

This was an enigma for Inziladûn, until they came to border the coast towards Andunië. Their path had been carved in the rock of a cliff, narrow and as dangerous as steep was the fall. A slight misstep of the horse would throw it together with its master into the roaring waters below, so Valandil advised Inziladûn to have everybody step down and continue on foot, including a dismayed Hannon, who had probably not walked in his entire life. Experienced as the Western party already were, they also dismounted out of courtesy.

 

“This is a natural fortress”, Inziladûn remarked as they made slow progress through the impressive heights. He could not help thinking a bit further: if his father ever made war against them, he could certainly not bring an army by land to attack their capital. In this case it would be their bay, which had brought them such renown in the past, what would become the cause of their ruin.

 

As they reached the uttermost extreme of the Southern Cape and the bay came in view, however, Inziladûn´s calculations made way to sheer astonishment. For a while, he thought that his eyes had to be deceiving him, but when he asked Valandil if this was the famous bay of Andunië, he received an affirmative answer.

 

“But the bay of Andunië is no bay!” he exclaimed. Valandil stared at him, half-curious, half-amused.

 

“Your eye is truly keen, my lord, as they say.”

 

Inziladûn merely nodded, too absorbed at the amazing sight in front of them to pay heed to compliments. Between the Northern and Southern cape, which brought safeguard from the might of the waters, there were three smaller cavities. Those on the left and right extremes held nothing but rocks and water, but the one in the middle was almost entirely covered by a giant stone construction stretching from one of its extremes to the other.

 

It was a great dock, wrought in stone to build an artificial bay under a cliff that was even steeper than the one they were treading now. Above it, a city was perched on the cliff with its grey stone towers, reached by winding flights of stairs carved on the rocky landscape. To the sailors that came in their ships from afar, it would have seemed at first that there was no life in the place, until they sailed closer and the shapes of city, stairs and port began to draw themselves under their eyes.

 

“This is the Bay and City of Andunië, my lords”, Valandil announced, with a fond smile that held a measure of sadness as he turned towards them again. “Once, it could hold five hundred tall ships at the same time.”

 

Indeed, while he began to recover his wits from his shocked and avid exploration of the place, Inziladûn realised that this once was what contributed the most to blur the lines of the impressive human buildings, until they seemed naught but shadows over the grey of stone. There was no activity in the docks at present, nor a single ship in sight.

 

That same evening, they reached a small pier where they left their horses in the care of several, not very enthusiastic looking men –the people of Andustar had never liked horses, Valandil told Inziladûn with a sigh- and were taken by a fleet of small barges towards the Bay. Upon reaching the place, Inziladûn saw that the tall ships of old had been exchanged for humble boats, where fishermen struggled with nets and prepared for the night capture.

 

“The King has graciously allowed us a fleet of this size”, Valandil answered his unvoiced question. The even, pleasant look that he had shown during their land trip was back on his features, and Inziladûn kept his silence.

 

The stairs were a renewed matter of complaint for Hannon, who muttered to Inziladûn several times that which kind of forsaken Elf-friends would build cities with such poor access. The Prince´s heir, however, was fascinated. Steep as the ascent was, it allowed him to have a magnificent view of the location, where stunning works of engineery battled for dominance with natural marvels.

 

When they reached the gates, word of their arrival had already reached the place, and the townsfolk were waiting to welcome them. Inziladûn was not used to be so close to the crowd, and a part of him almost expected hostility from that strange Western folk who kept Elvish traditions and names in defiance of the Kings. His sea-grey eyes and sharp features, however, passed remarkably unnoticed, though his companions were watched with barely dissimulated suspicion as they came in behind him. He heard a whisper in a language that he did not understand.

 

The palace of the lords of Andunië lay at the highest point of the city. Inziladûn had never seen such a place before: its gardens were outside and around the house instead of inside, and bloomed with a vegetation unknown in Armenelos. They had a delicate quality that the species of the capital lacked, like a softer colouring, and grew in a gentle disorder that reminded him of his own garden.

 

Falling into spontaneous silence, the party walked a winding path among small trees with silvery leaves that rustled in the breeze. Inziladûn felt a strange unease and a knot in his throat, not unlike the one he felt when he passed by the White Tree in the courtyard of the royal palace. It was almost with relief that his eyes finally distinguished the shapes of Valandil´s family standing at the threshold of the house.

 

Tall and dignified, the old Lord of Andunië advanced a step to welcome them. Valandil advanced as well and bowed, while Inziladûn stood in place, slightly abashed at the unfamiliar surroundings. But Eärendur bowed, and took him by the hand with exquisite courtesy.

 

“Welcome to my house, my lord Inziladûn. These are my grandchildren, Númendil and Artanis. We all wish to offer our deepest and sincerest thanks to you for coming here on this grave purpose, and hope that the men of your company will find their stay satisfying. Brief as it might be”, he added with a look at Hannon, who wore a haughty expression that hid his own unease.

 

Inziladûn nodded in silence to his mother´s uncle, while Valandil kissed his children on the brow.

 

“Mother could not come. One of us had to stay in Armenelos”, he told Númendil, a youth some years younger than Inziladûn himself who received his father´s words with an uncommon gravity.

 

“It was kind of the King to allow you to come.” Artanis, a pale young woman with full cheeks and a slight frame bowed to him, as if he had had something to do with the decision. Slightly dazed, he nodded back to her and offered her a greeting. Her voice had a strange accent, ethereal yet charming. “And it was kind of you to come as well, my lord.”

 

“It is my duty, and my pleasure to offer the comfort of my presence to my kin in an hour of sadness”, he replied, years of training finally surfacing in his mind as he recovered from the feeling of stupour.

 

“Gracious words. But now, let us enter!” Eärendur invited, waving at him cordially. Inziladûn nodded, and climbed the marble stairs after him. That place was much smaller and less impressive than the Palace in Armenelos, but the details and ornaments in the doors, columns, windows and archways were minutious, an imitation of Nature in skilled and graceful lines. A feeling of elegance pervaded the spacious, sparsely furnished halls, and Inziladûn had the strange feeling that everything, even the book that had been carelessy thrown on a chair, was exactly where it was meant to be.

 

Forcing himself to banish those haunting thoughts –was he falling into his father´s webs of suspicion?- he saw to the accomodation of all the people who came with him in spite of the polite dismissals of his hosts, and prepared for dinner. As he arrived to the dining-room, a curious place with a large table around which the whole family sat together, he was offered the seat of honour, which he firmly refused in spite of Hannon´s glare. He felt like little more than a child, faced with Valandil´s grave dignity and Eärendur´s lordly welcoming mood.

 

During the meal, many things were discussed, including the crop on the still inhabited fields of the South, the adaptation of large-scale fishing trade and the incidences of their trip, but no politics. To Inziladûn´s shock, they talked about the dead woman´s last days and smiled fondly at the things she had said. The feeling of unreality, briefly quenched by their warm welcome, arose again as he heard them talk, with voices that, he realised in a sudden flash of insight, were not their own.

 

What was happening?

 

“Honourable priest of the Great God.” Eärendur made a signal to a servant, who filled both his cup and that of Hannon. “Would you have a drink with me?”

 

The fat, round-eyed man nodded, a bit mollified by the treatment, though he waited until the Lord of Andunië took a first sip from his cup to do the same to his own.

 

“I must admit that this wine is excellent”, he said. Inziladûn swallowed forcibly, wondering why the scene brought him such unease.

 

A minute later, his tutor suddenly fell over the table, motionless. In a heartbeat, he bolted from his seat, searching for a knife to be used as a weapon.

 

Nobody else around him moved.

 

“He is alive”, Eärendur reassured him, with the same tone of voice he had used to tell him that the salad was especially good. Inziladûn stared at him in stunned disbelief, then reacted and sought for the unconscious man´s pulse. Soon afterwards, he found it, but this did not bring him much relief.

 

Now, he could understand everything. That feeling... it had been a warning, that something unnatural was creeping upon him. But instead of following his heart´s advice, Inziladûn had been irresistibly drawn towards the alien world, seeking to pierce it and discover its secrets, courting danger like a moth drawn to the flame.

 

“Please, follow me, my lord.”

 

Inziladûn retreated a step from Eärendur´s beckoning gesture. As if they had been waiting for an unspoken signal, Valandil and his children stood up in silence and abandoned the room, leaving them alone with the sleeping Hannon.

 

“If you want to kill me,” he hissed, “it would have been much easier to poison my drink as well.”

 

“Please, listen to me”, said Eärendur, still unmoved. The lack of feelings in his features was becoming disturbing. “You are my kin, and I have no wish to harm you. If this is not enough for the son of Gimilzôr, however, I will add this other reassurance- if I killed you, I would sign the death sentence of my whole family.”

 

“Then, what do you want? To take me hostage?” Inziladûn insisted. His mother´s uncle shook his head calmly.

 

“I want to talk to you. It would have been impossible for me to say a few things that need to be said, with your father´s spy standing at our side. Now, would you please follow me, my lord?”

 

Inziladûn did not allow himself to relax at the reassurance, though deep inside, a doubt was beginning to arise.

 

They are good people, Inziladûn. Listen to what they have to say... do not be like your father.

 

His mother, who loved him more than anything, who had embraced him on the night that he left Armenelos, had said those words to him. Wouldn´t he trust her?

 

Listen to what they have to say...

 

But, what would they have to say? Finely-crafted words to persuade him to their cause, like his father had feared? What reasons would they give, which further secrets would they reveal about the events surrounding his birth and childhood?

 

Hadn´t he come for this, to find answers to his questions? a small insidious voice whispered into his ear, that same voice that had always tried to lure him to dark places and unknown dangers. The same voice for which he had braved the heights and the risk of discovery, the night before he left Armenelos.

 

Still wavering in doubt, the young man performed his ultimate test. Locking Eärendur´s eyes with his own, he looked inside them, searching for signs that would reveal his hidden motives.

 

There were none. No attempts to flee, nothing to hide, nothing but the same, unwavering patience as he waited for him to make his decision.

 

“I will follow you”, he said, putting the knife down and entrusting his life to the hands of an enemy.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

“What is it that you want to tell me?”

 

Maybe it had sounded afraid, or still worse, childish. Inziladûn bit his lip, forcing himself to stay calm as Eärendur led him downstairs, through a dark tunnel and finally into a spacious chamber whose every wall was covered by piles of dusty scrolls. Curious in spite of himself, he tried to take one of them and decipher it, but Eärendur pushed him gently towards a low wooden table with two seats. Before his eyes reluctantly abandoned the exploration of the document, however, Inziladûn realised two things: the written lines were not Adûnaic, but some form of Elvish, and the parchment was old.

 

Very old.

 

Out of an irrational impulse, he sought in his pocket for the Hand amulet, and pressed it while he muttered a prayer. But if Eärendur noticed his gesture, he gave no reaction.

 

“Sit, please”, he invited, with unflinching politeness. Inziladûn obeyed, feeling more and more unsettled by his calm.

 

“Thanks”, he muttered. “But, lord Eärendur...”

 

“What do you remember about your mother?”

 

The beginnings of a complaint died in Inziladûn´s throat as the question was voiced at him. Astonished, he stared at his host, considering its implications.

 

“You knew”, he said at last, more as a vague, all-encompassing affirmation than a question. For the first time a real emotion, slight as it was, crossed the features of the lord of Andunië, some sadness mingled with – was that guilt?

 

“Indeed, I do remember her. I saw her the night before I left on this trip. Yes, I did”, he nodded proudly, as the older man frowned in surprise at his revelation. “I climbed all the way to her terrace and met her in her back quarters. There were many –sordid questions regarding my birth that I wanted to ask before I undertook this travel to meet her mother´s kin. She told me that you were good people and that I should listen to you. “Slowly, the flow of his words was giving him back some of his confidence. “You have her to thank for my decision to follow you here.”

 

Eärendur´s features were suddenly veiled again. To read him like he did others was almost impossible, but now Inziladûn could not help but wonder if he could be feeling attacked.

 

It was only after a long while of silence that he opened his mouth to continue, his gaze lost in the distance.

 

“Your grandmother –my sister- Lindorië... she was born in exile, like me.” Inziladûn nodded, encouraging him, somewhat unnecessarily, to continue. Nobody had told him anything about his mother´s kin before. “She was fair and gentle, yet there was strength inside her, like there is for all of us. In spite of the hardships and of everything that we had lost, she never lost her smile. Your mother inherited this trait from her.”

 

Inziladûn nodded in silence. For a moment, a joyful grin in tired features gripped at his imagination, and he swallowed with effort.

 

“Her father was Melkorbazer, kin to the King in Ar-Zimrathôn´s time”, Eärendur continued. “He was governor of Sor, close to Romenna, and as such he kept watch over us on the King´s orders. He fell in love with her.”

 

Not a single sound could be heard when he paused, except for the faint creaking of the flames on the hearth.

 

“This Melkorbazer was a priest of Melkor, but he was very different from the one who is sleeping upstairs”, he continued matter-of-factly, and without the slightest sign of disdain. “I must admit that it took me a long time to accept that he was a good man, since those long years of conflicts, suspicions and misunderstandings have hardened our hearts to such a degree against one another. I thought that nothing good could come from one of ...them. “He chuckled, a strange and unusual sound. “But he truly risked his life to marry her and have the King lift her ban so he could take her with him. Ar-Zimrathôn took away his governorship, and did not allow him to lay a single foot on the Palace for a very long time. Isn´t it revealing? Before he married Lindorië he had been trusted by the King in spite of the fact that the Lady Alissha had been his kin. After the marriage, he was no better than a proven traitor.”

 

Inziladûn took a sharp intake of breath. He had heard that story before –how Alissha and Adunakhôr had battled for the throne a long time ago, in a war that had brought the ruin of the Elf-friends.

 

“Lord Melkorbazer was suspected of many things, among them of allying himself with us to obtain revenge for his grandmother´s sister. After all, he might have been King if things had turned out differently. I feared for him, but there was nothing I could do. And one day... news came to me that he was dead.”

 

“He was killed?” Inziladûn could not hide his horror at the veiled insinuation. That his mother´s father could have been killed by his father´s kin was almost too revolting for words- but Eärendur just shook his head reassuringly.

 

“I did not say that. I must admit that I had my suspicions at the time, but now I feel that he simply became sick from despair. He was being robbed of everything that he had always cherished and toiled for, and suspected unjustly. His friends and acquaintances shunned him, and he was forsaken by all.” He made a gesture with his hand, as if to abandon those sad thoughts. “Lindorië and your mother stayed in Andunië, where they were allowed to live in quiet retirement. My sister had the comfort of her daughter and her strong spirit, but there was a moment where grief became too much for her. She blamed herself for her husband´s death, and living alone in those abandoned lands, fallen to decay while her family languished in exile... “His lips pursed in a firm expression. “Your mother was left alone, with no kin until the decree of Ar-Sakalthôr brought us back. And, not even a year after she ran the twenty flights of stairs to meet us at the harbour, she was taken away to marry a man who did not love her.”

 

The sadness and guilt that Inziladûn had perceived before in his great-uncle´s expression became clearer, starker in a shocking breach from the man´s usual composure. A moment later, however, it was already gone, and Inziladûn felt again unsatisfied.

 

“Was it really necessary?” he asked, harshly. “Or did the Prince –my father force you to give her away?”

 

Eärendur shook his head again.

 

“It was- part of a negotiation”, he replied, shortly. “And it was necessary, Inziladûn. Do you understand? It would be our last chance to have a Prince of her bloodline. To fight the shadows of fear, suspicion and superstition that have run in the veins of the royal line like a venom for centuries. It was our last chance of being heard.

 

Inziladûn stared at him, trying to understand the implications of those words.

 

“I am that prince”, he finally muttered, before his forehead creased in suspicion. “So you want power, after all?”

 

The Lord of Andunië did not even flinch at this accusation.

 

“The power to save Númenor, yes. But not for me. For you.”

 

Inziladûn took breath, forcing the buzz of his thoughts to still. So, it had been this. There was no sordid secret in his birth anymore. No enigma in the sufferings of his mother.

 

Had those people have been driven mad from desperation, as they wasted away in the lands of the East? Such a fantastical scheme- so much suffering, suffering that could kill a person, and all for what? For the mad idea that blood would one day hear the distant call of blood and forsake its other loyalties?

 

What did those people want? What was so important as to sacrifice their own kin for it? Eärendur had spoken of saving Númenor –but was it power what they wanted, like his father used to say? Vindication for their family? Had they been bewitched by Elves? Or did it have something to do with their beliefs?

 

He forced himself to find a grip.

 

“Very well, lord Eärendur”, he said, in the steadiest tone that he could muster. “I am the future King and I am listening to you. “Never be like your father, she had said. “Now, tell me everything. I want to know what drives you. Why you want this power, and its purpose. Why you would suffer for it and have my mother and I suffer for it as well. Because there is more to all this, and I will hear it before I listen to treasonous words any longer.”

 

A belated awareness that he had said something very offensive crossed his brain, but still he kept his intent expression, waiting for an answer. Eärendur looked at him gravely for a long time –and then, to his great surprise, he smiled.

 

“You are so right”, he said, then sobered up and returned his gaze. “Very well, let us begin. Son of Inzilbêth, what do you know about Elves?”

 

Inziladûn did not have to think for a long time.

 

“They are immortal beings of a great and terrible power. They are Men´s enemies since the beginning of times, since a prophecy told them that they were destined to take their place one day. Because of that, they fought three great wars against Men and their King, the All-Powerful Melkor, and thought they lost the two first, in the third they allied themselves with the Demons of the West and He had to sacrifice himself to defeat them.” For a moment, he could not help but chuckle, a way to relieve the pent-up tension. “I am sure that you have a different tale to tell.”

 

“I do”, Eärendur replied. He stood up from his seat, and walked towards one of the pile of neatly stacked rolls of parchment. For a moment, he fingered through them with almost religious care, and took one of them in his hands. “Do you know what this is? It is the library of the kings of old, from the times of Elros Tar-Minyatur- or Indilzar in the tongue of Men.”

 

Inziladûn stared at him in incredulity.

 

“The oldest scrolls in Númenor date from the reign of Ar-Adunakhôr”, he said, but even while he was still pronouncing those words, the intent left them and caused his voice to trail away in involuntary hesitation. The lines drawn by the teachings of his preceptors had always been so arbitrary. “Did you... steal them?”

 

“I took them before the King destroyed them. They were hidden here, and stayed undiscovered for all our years of exile”, the lord of Andunië said while he unrolled a piece of parchment over the table. In spite of himself, Inziladûn stood up, and leaned over it avidly.

 

How many times had he wanted to know more, to read about ages past, ancient kings and the reasons for things, only to be told that those records did not exist, and that the things that he wanted to know were nothing but myths and legends! And now, they were all here, at the reach of his hand...

 

It was too good to be true.

 

“I still do not know if I should trust you”, he muttered. But as his knowledgeable eyes studied the parchment´s fabric, he found no immediate grounds to doubts its ancient origins. It smelled, felt old, older than Ar-Adunakhôr even... how much older, he could not even imagine.

 

And still, the words were written in Elvish script, spidery letters that Inziladûn could not understand or make sense of. A part of him felt overcome with frustration, that he would be so near to a source of knowledge whose scope he would never have imagined in his wildest dreams –and still unable to read a single word.

 

As if he had guessed the young man´s thoughts, Eärendur unrolled a second scroll, whose Adûnaic letters said “Translated records of the Letters of King Elros Tar-Minyatur”, in an ancient dialect that even well-read Inziladûn could not locate in time.

 

“Adûnaic and the Elvish tongues have existed together in Númenor since the founding of the kingdom”, the lord of Andunië explained. “The Line of Elros always used Quenya in ceremonies, and Sindarin at home until the land was first shaken by the corrupted beliefs of those who had lived in Middle-Earth under the growing shadow of Mordor. The Merchant Princes of the colonies introduced dark cults, and mistrust for Elves grew in time. A change came upon the land of Númenor, and the ancient wisdom was forgotten and shunned. The Kings used twisted myths to assert their power in their struggles for the Sceptre, and they even forgot their Elven blood.”

 

“Elven blood?” Inziladûn had the instinct of watching his own hand warily, as if the blueish veins on its palm could be hiding a terrible venom. Then, he shook his head and snorted defensively. “This is ridiculous!”

 

“Read the letter.” Eärendur pressed him gently. Inziladûn obeyed in spite of his agitation, though the lines took an unusually long time to sink into his brain.

 

Elros Tar-Minyatur, King of Númenor, to his brother Elrond Half-Elven...

 

With a gasp of dismay, Inziladûn let the document fall back on the table. A thought crossed his mind that it would be the time to turn back and leave and forget about this whole conversation –and still the need, the accursed need to know was somehow stronger than his dismay.

 

“Tell me everything”, he demanded again, sitting down. “From beginning to end. I will be here all night, if I must, but do not leave anything out.”

 

Eärendur bowed slightly, and sat down in turn.

 

“In the beginning” he said, “as you very well know, there was Eru, Father of All. And He created two generations of children, the Firstborn, or Elves, and the Secondborn, or Men...”

 

For long hours, nothing else was heard in that room but the soft voice of Eärendur, unraveling the tales of the Beginning and the First Age of the world. Inziladûn listened, shaken with alternate emotions of shock and enchantment, to the story of the corruption of Melkor, the Awakening of the Elves at Cuiviénen, and the marvels of the land of the Two Trees. He was told of the making of the Silmarils and the rebellion of the Noldor, the war of the Jewels and the coming of Men to Beleriand –Uldor, Beren and Lúthien, Húrin the Steadfast, Tuor and Idril, their son Eärendil, and their twin sons, Elrond and Elros. He listened to the account of the plea of Elves and Men to the Valar and the War of Wrath. The expulsion of Melkor, whom Elves and the Men who fought alongside them called Morgoth, and the reward of the Secondborn –the Land of Gift.

 

“You look so pale”, Eärendur remarked, the first interruption since he had begun the first of the legends. “Do you want a drink?”

 

Inziladûn shook his head in automatic denial. He saw everything around him in blurred lines.

 

For all his life, he had been taught to repeat and honour each and every one of Melkor´s exploits. He had stood in the fumes of his altar, filled with religious awe, until his mind grew sceptic and sarcastic about the poor logic of the tales of priests. And then he had been told that those were the myths of the populace, and that the Truth had to be protected and tended like a delicate flower. But what had this Truth been? Had it been a terrible secret, too dark to be unravelled?

 

Inziladûn had never been satisfied with the scarce tatters of the past, the confusing explanations that he had read and heard. And now that it was all laid in front of him, with a terrible beauty that could not help but pierce his heart, the beliefs ingrained in his brain for all his life were not explained but challenged, distorted and threatened without a chance for conciliation. He had an awareness that he should be feeling something, but instead all around him was numbness, seeping inside him and leaving him to wonder in a daze.

 

“And that is why we do what we do“, Eärendur concluded. “You dream of it as well, don´t you? The Wave... the Downfall.”

 

“How do you know that? No one, ever, could tell me...!” Inziladûn´s voice came out so hoarse that he would have felt ashamed of it if he had been able.

 

“Because we all have that dream in my family. You inherited it from us, Inziladûn. It is a warning of what will come one day, if we forsake our heritage and inflict pain over others in our pride. We alone were granted this vision, and that is why we will sacrifice anything to save the island of Númenor, its wisdom, and its beauty. Do you understand our motivations now?”

 

Did he? Inziladûn had been absorbing information for hours, and now his mind was reaching the breaking point. He tried to put an order in the swarm of thoughts and ideas, to reach the ultimate meaning of everything. He wondered if he was being enthralled with carefully wrought lies, yet his heart told him that it was true. The Wave was true.

 

The Downfall was true. He saw it every night. And they didn´t.

 

He shivered. The wish to run towards the door and flee this archive of ancient and dangerous memories became strong once more, almost to the point of overpowering every other consideration for a brief instant. Fortunately, he was able to master it, and keep the barest threads of his composure together no matter the pressure, as his tutor Maharbal had taught him to do since his earliest childhood.

 

What would the old man think if he saw him now? Which scolding, or advice, would he have to offer to him in this situation?

 

He sought Eärendur´s glance.

 

“Please, let us leave this subject for tonight”, he asked, as politely as he could manage. “I am tired and unable to profit from our exchanges anymore. And... there are also many things that I must think over carefully in the solitude of my chambers. If you will excuse me.”

 

His great-uncle let his eyes trail over him in appreciation. A warm smile graced his features after a moment, and Inziladûn surprised a glow of pride in his glance.

 

The Prince´s heir stood there, shaken to the core by this not least than by anything else. Pride was something that he had only seen in his mother´s face when she looked at him. Hannon and his circle were as pompous as they were insincere, Maharbal thought that praise would make him grow self-complacent and vain, while his father´s features were always veiled by mistrust, and as for the King – the King had shunned him from the day of his birth.

 

To be proud of himself had been Inziladûn´s only respite until now.

 

“You are incredibly strong, son. You have surpassed my greatest expectations“, the lord of Andunië said in a soft, vibrating voice.” Now, go and take your rest –I will wake you for the funeral ceremony tomorrow.”

 

With a mute nod of thanks, Inziladûn stood up, and staggered towards the door.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

It was not towards his chambers, however, that his errant footsteps carried him, but the gardens. The cool, salty breeze of the sea helped him ease his dizziness, and for a moment he just stood at the gate with closed eyes. There were drops of sweat upon his brow.

 

After a while, he finally felt recovered enough as to walk a bit through the place. The silence was eerie, only broken by the distant rumble of the sea. He tried to bathe in the soothing balm of the beautiful plants that covered his path, but there was something strange about them, an uneasy feeling of light and mist- was it a whisper?

 

Holding his forehead with his hands, he tried to come back from the spell. He felt lost in an Elvish enchantment, ensnared by a greater power who would destroy him as soon as he lowered his guard. At the same time as he had that thought, however, he recalled Eärendur´s tale, and the weight of what had just happened finally sank on his mind.

 

People of the Stars... deliverers of evil.

 

Inziladûn sought for the comfort of the Hand amulet. He pressed it against his hand, but it felt cold and strangely unresponsive. Distressed by this, he let it fall back on his pocket, and turned away from that inviting yet fearsome beauty.

 

I will find no rest here, he thought. Images haunted his head as they never had in the luxurious safety of Armenelos, of a dark wave falling over their fragile peace and engulfing everyone that he loved. Cold spirits of the West, a fallen god– his grieving heart still wanted to believe in the love of the Queen´s sweet face, but what if she was nothing but a fair creature of men?

 

What, indeed, if it was true? Would there be deliverance? He remembered his disgust that one time, when the city of Armenelos celebrated the massacre of a helpless tribe of Middle-Earth under the fumes of Melkor´s altar. Now that He is not there, we must protect them as He once did, he had been told, but hadn´t they just been robbed of their food and riches before their misery brought them to war? And he had justified it in his heart, but could he live with the knowledge of those stories of the past, and of proud beings who had fallen to the whispers of the Shadow while they were at the peak of their glory?

 

As he was having those thoughts, Inziladûn realised that he had wandered into a place that he hadn´t seen before. The garden had stretched into a clearing, where a circle of trees gleamed under the light of the moon. Astonished, he stopped in his tracks to admire their mysterious beauty, and saw that the leaves in their outstretched branches were the colour of silver, holding fruits of pure gold.

 

Was this an Elven tree, then? If so, Inziladûn thought, nothing indeed in the world of Men could compare to the beauty of the Firstborn. He tried to imagine the forests of Doriath, where Beren, his ancestor, had lain in an enchanted dream with the most beautiful creature to ever exist in this world...

 

A soft sound of footsteps interrupted his thoughts. Still shaken, he turned back with unaccustomed violence, and his eyes met the pale figure of a maiden, walking towards him with a slight smile. The billows of her white dress stirred under the breeze.

 

Inziladûn swallowed a knot on his throat, and slowly came back to reality. She was no Lúthien, but the daughter of Valandil, who stared at him with warm and clear sea-grey eyes.

 

Behind her, yet more footsteps disrupted the quietude of the clearing, as her brother followed the same path. They both looked quite similar, pale and grey eyed like Elves, but his features were softer and shadowed by a strange, dreamy expression .

 

Malinornë”, she said, looking at the trees. “Grandmother´s favourite tree.”

 

“She used to come here everyday and stay for hours, doing nothing but stare at them”, Númendil recalled with fondness. “I hope there will be trees like those beyond the Circles of the World.”

 

“Or else she might come back and complain”, she joked, with a chuckle.

 

Inziladûn stared at them, once again taken by the unreality of their exchange. Their Adûnaic was accented, and beyond this their every speech, their every show of emotion seemed tightly measured, somehow always falling short from the full emotions of a man. There were never full laughs for those people, or anger, or an unleashed sadness. He wondered whether this was the bearing of an Elf, or of an outcast hardened by necessity.

 

“I am disturbing your mourning”, he muttered, unsure of whether this was even the most adequate wording for it. But he felt the need to leave them to their business.

 

“Oh, no, please!” She bowed. “It is us who are disturbing you, my lord.”

 

“And we would wish to disturb you for a little longer”, her brother added. Surprised, Inziladûn cleaned his face roughly with his right hand, and took a deep breath.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Sit with us”, Artanis said, pointing at the soft grass at her side with an inviting gesture of her chin. “Please.”

 

After a moment of hesitation, Inziladûn did what he was told. He had no valid reason to refuse, and those people were his hosts.

 

Still, when Númendil began to stare at him, he could not help but feel incommodated.

 

“Yes?” he asked. The younger man smiled, a bit shyly, and looked away.

 

“He is jealous of your beard”, Artanis informed him, combing back her mass of black hair. Inziladûn´s puzzlement increased by the moment.

 

“You must be the only one, then. It is... not very popular in Armenelos”, he added cautiously, then had the urge to smile at the bemused frowns of the siblings. What strange people, he thought. “But you could also grow one, if you like.”

 

Númendil shook his head, mournfully.

 

“Alas! I have tried.”

 

“The Elven heritage runs strong in him”, his sister explained. Inziladûn nodded slightly, tense again at the remembrance of his earlier anguish. To his surprise, both Númendil and Artanis seemed to notice his unease, and they exchanged grave looks that soon turned to compassion.

 

“I am sorry”, she apologised. “You have just... talked to Grandfather.”

 

“Never mind”, Inziladûn muttered. He was not used to be pitied, and even less to be read. Was his guard so low after the night´s emotions? “Do you also dream of the Wave?”

 

Artanis´s expression darkened a little, as if she was remembering something unpleasant.

 

“We do.”

 

“I have the dubious honour of being the only member of this family who sometimes gets to drown”, Númendil added, with some forced cheer. “Do you?”

 

Inziladûn shook his head. In a way, and in spite of the gloom of the situation, it was comforting to be able to talk about it with someone for the first time. He even felt compelled to talk about things that he had never disclosed to anyone before.

 

“I see a woman drowning sometimes, however.” His voice lowered, as his glance became lost in the glimmer of the silver leaves. “I think it might be my mother.”

 

A long silence welcomed his words.

 

“Do you think that it would be so near? That... Downfall, I mean.”

 

Númendil shook his head vehemently.

 

“No. The Creator loves us still. He has to give us a last chance to redeem ourselves. That is what I believe”, he added, turning to his sister for confirmation. She nodded.

 

“He only has to wait for a while longer. When you become King, things will change.”

 

Inziladûn felt a knot on his throat again, as those sea-grey eyes –so similar to those of his mother!- were set on him in boundless faith.

 

“Many things might still happen yet”, he mumbled. “I am only the King´s grandson.” And I am not even sure that I will not wake up tomorrow and see reality.

 

Fortunately, the mysterious and erratic sense of tact of the siblings did not press the issue any further. Instead of this, Númendil fumbled with his clothes, and took out a bunch of folded papers.

 

“Here”, he said, presenting them to Inziladûn with a look that reminded him vaguely of the cheekiness of a young boy. “An apology for disturbing you, my lord.”

 

Curious, Inziladûn unfolded the papers, and looked over the first one. The writing was Adûnaic, but the letters were clumsily drawn, as if by the hand of a child who was learning to write.

 

“These are the Princess of the North´s letters to Grandfather”, Artanis explained, leaning over his shoulder to take a better look.

 

“Her written Adûnaic was not good at all”, Númendil commented, doing the same. “But she spoke it far better than me, or so Father loves to tell me whenever he has the opportunity.”

 

“This...” Inziladûn´s voice died in his throat, as he felt a strong emotion grow inside him. His mother´s letters... the words that he had never been able to hear –that she had never been able to tell him in the loneliness of her exile. He forced his voice to come out steady. “Thank you. Thank you very much.”

 

“According to Grandfather, they are full of accounts on the marvellous progress of baby Inziladûn”, Artanis commented with a chuckle. Númendil patted him on the shoulder.

 

“If you ever wondered why there is a Palace clerk who stares at you in a funny way, be sure that this was the one in charge of reading her letters before they were sent.” Belatedly aware that he was being teased, Inziladûn blushed a little. He could not be angry at people who had given him such a valuable gift, however, so he merely shook his head with indulgence.

 

He thought of Eärendur, and the shadows of guilt behind the mask of his composed expression. A gift, or an apology?

 

A stronger breeze rustled over the brilliant leaves of the Elven trees, wringing from them an unearthly concert of chimes. As he listened to them in wonder, a distant feeling came upon him, as if everything, his home in Armenelos, his father and brother, the altar of Melkor and the tales of the remote past were so far away from this place that their lines were blurring in his sight.

 

He was tired... so tired...

 

“Lie down here, my lord”, Artanis´s soft voice penetrated the haze of his mind. Her face leaned over him, and he saw his mother´s eyes looking at him in loving concern. “We will wake you when the time comes –we promise.”

 

Feeling bereaved of the strength to protest or suspect an Elven spell, even unable to feel repelled at the idea of sleeping outdoors, Inziladûn did as he was told. Soon afterwards, his eyes were closed, and he fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.

 

 

Mother of All

Read Mother of All

 

But when he found himself in darkness,
in the earth's awful depths,
with a group of unholy Greeks,
and bodiless figures appeared before him
with haloes of light,
the young Julian for a moment lost his nerve:
an impulse from his pious years came back
and he crossed himself.
The Figures vanished at once;
the haloes faded away, the lights went out.
The Greeks glanced at each other.
The young man said: "Did you see the miracle?
I'm frightened, friends. I want to leave.
Didn't you see how the demons vanished
the second they saw me make the holy sign of the cross?"
The Greeks chuckled scornfully:
"Shame on you, shame, to talk that way
to us sophists and philosophers!
If you want to say things like that,
say them to the Bishop of Nicomedia and his priests.
The greatest gods of our glorious Greece
appeared before you.
And if they left, don't think for a minute
that they were frightened by a gesture.
It was just that when they saw you
making that vile, that crude sign,
their noble nature was disgusted
and they left you in contempt."
This is what they said to him, and the fool
recovered from his holy, blessed fear,
convinced by the unholy words of the Greeks.

 

(K. Kavafis, “Julian at the Mysteries”)

 

 

 

The next morning, Inziladûn´s face was gaunt, and he wore dark circles under his eyes as he took part in the ceremony. Nobody mentioned anything about this, however, not even Hannon, whose own misadventures with wine had made him unusually indulgent towards his charge.

In the afternoon, the hospitable family planned other activities for them. They visited the stone city, perched in its nest atop the cliff, and walked the harbour from one end of the Bay to the other, empty except for the presence of fishing boats tied to wooden poles. Now and then, Inziladûn caught himself staring at the Western horizon in disquiet, wondering about the land that stretched beyond their sight. He remembered Eärendur´s words about his forefather Eärendil, who had reached the Undying Lands with the Silmaril upon his brow and never returned.

To his dismay, there was no further chance to start another long conversation with his intriguing hosts, with Hannon dogging his heels all day. Only the following morning, as he watched how the light of dawn tinged the surface of the Sea with rosy hues, regretting his impending departure, he heard a familiar rustle of robes behind him. Turning back, he saw the two Elvish siblings standing behind his seat, twin enigmatic smiles upon their faces.

“It is better this way”, Númendil said. “You will have time to think things over, my lord, without us pestering you.”

Artanis laughed, a soft, rippling sound like the murmuring of the sea. Her pale hand reached his side, and produced a small, well-worn book from the folds of her dress.

Inziladûn took it in silence, and examined it with a frown.

“Will you do it alone?” she asked. It was full of texts in the Elven tongues.

Thankful, and heartened by this gift, Inziladûn nodded. This little book would be the key to explore the elusive truth with his own eyes, the ancient scrolls and the forbidden legends of the Elder Days. He wondered if there would be others that he did not know, sparse and hidden in dark vaults of the Palace of Armenelos.

If he only could find them...

“I will”, he assured her. If he was set to it, he would have mastered those languages in a few months, he thought. He was aware that his mind was quicker than most.

The young woman smiled at his answer. In an unexpected motion, she  tiptoed to his front, and he felt himself suddenly pulled into a light embrace that smelled of flowers. Surprise paralysed him, and he barely had time to relax before she pulled away again, as gracefully as she had approached him.

“May the Valar guard you, my lord”, she said, bowing in unison with her amused brother and turning back to leave the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Inziladûn´s next journey would begin by crossing the Andustar again, and then following the coast South until he reached the Forbidden Bay. This would have meant a six day ride in normal circumstances, though the carts and provisions slowed the process down to almost two weeks.

For those two weeks, the young man became taciturn and self-absorbed. He rode at the front, away from the rest of the party, and paid little mind to the surroundings that had fascinated him so much in his previous trip with Valandil. During their night stays at the resting points made for travelling nobles, not even Hannon´s exuberant conversation was able to wring more than two or three polite responses from him before he retired for the night.

Only when they approached the Bay, Inziladûn was forced to put a momentary stop to his musings to admire the beauty of the place. This was Eldalondë the Green, stretching before the dazzling blue of the Sea, where –according to Eärendur- the ships of the Eldar used to come at will and scatter their gifts for the benefit of their mortal friends.

Before the Great Estrangement...

Sweet and varied scents reached his nostrils from the sacred grove. As they ventured inside, he saw trees whose branches sagged under the weight of scarlet globed fruits, the Fruits of the Goddess as the later Númenoreans called them. The silver and golden trees that he had admired in the home of the Lords of Andunië grew there at will, too, a glittering forest hanging over the heads of the astonished pilgrims as they made their way through the carved path.

Those people believed that such marvels could thrive in that land because it was the home of the Goddess. Lost in a dream of Elvish making, they reached the sacred beach and the Cave full of religious fervour, and knelt upon the steps of the altar to pray to her statue. Inziladûn had once wished more than anything in the world to do so, but now this wish had turned to apprehension and fear.

What would he see, when his eyes were set upon the Queen of the Seas? Would vacant eyes stare back at him, devoid of the comfort that she had given him since he was a child? The illusion was now broken, the lingering faith that came from his past need shattered by too much knowledge. Inziladûn did not regret knowing the truth about Melkor, but the goddess, his goddess –sometimes during his journey, the thought had brought him a searing pain, and he had wondered if, once again, his imprudent curiosity had destroyed one of the most precious things he had.

For all those reasons, Inziladûn would have preferred to never lay a foot in her cave. And yet there he was, and there was no way in this world that he could flee his obligations.

Before they had even reached the seaside, the path through the forest became a road, full of pilgrims who came in groups, singing songs and carrying their offerings to the sanctuary. The first few, scattered vendors who stood at the sides selling all kinds of merchandise became full stalls and stands, offering meals, safe and cheap trips back home, little pieces of rock from the Sacred Cave, shells and pearls of the goddess, and even, to Inziladûn´s shock, hair and fingernails to gift her with. Everybody stared at them as they passed by with their train and the carts loaded with the King´s presents, and even as they stood aside to let him pass, Inziladûn heard a rumbling buzz of murmurations, and was subjected to the more irreverent stares of curiosity that he had encountered in his whole life.

As they finally reached the gates of the splendid Sacred City that had grown around the grounds of the sanctuary –the home of priests and merchants, joined in a single people by the community of their endeavours-, a sizeable delegation came to greet them. At its head was Lord Itashtart, Governor of the Forbidden Bay, who bowed and helped Inziladûn to dismount with an unwavering hand. He was a proud-looking man of prominent chin and dark eyes, and tight muscles that showed under his priestly robes. Head Priest of the sanctuary of Ashtarte-Uinen by title, he was kin to the King, and above all a general of the troops which were established further down the Bay in several encampments of a permanent nature. His true role was to prevent an uprising of his once fearsome Northern neighbour, and looking at him, Inziladûn could not help but be shaken by an involuntary emotion as he remembered what his grandfather Melkorbazer had been once.

No, he said to himself, glad for the comfort that this train of thought brought to his mind at the very threshold of that place. He could not regret what he had learned that night.

“I am glad to welcome you, Inziladûn son of Gimilzôr”, the man said to him formally. “Our humble city is proud to receive a royal prince in his first visit to the Goddess.”

Feeling at last in his own element, Hannon undertook most of the dealings about the gifts, and how they would be brought to the cave in procession and stored in their rightful places. Once that everything was set to everybody´s satisfaction, they accepted Itashtart´s hospitality, and were led to his palace through the wide avenues of the city. Compared to the Palace of Armenelos the building was small, but its architecture already felt more familiar to Inziladûn, with its gold and blue façade and shady inner gardens with running fountains.

After the meal, some polite and veiled insinuations of the High Priest convinced the Prince´s heir of the impossibility of delaying the visit further. The crowd had already gathered on the beach at the West end of the city, and as close to the cave´s entrance as they were allowed by the soldiers, eager to catch a glimpse of the royal visit. Dressed in official purple, pale and taken aback by the interest of the multitude, Inziladûn thought that he had to be giving a bad impression indeed, to all those people who were used to his father´s easy majesty.

This shore, though also bathed by the Western sea, was very different from the Bay of Andunië. All traces of the ancient harbour had been erased when Ar-Adunakhôr consecrated that land to Ashtarte-Uinen by means of an official ceremony, and the direction of Eressëa was pronounced forbidden. Now, all that remained in the place was a beach of brilliant, golden sands, full of scattered shells of various shapes that the sea had thrown upon the coast. Waves broke freely upon it, leaving a trail of sizzling white foam as they slowly retreated.

The cave was South of the city, carved by the might of the ocean on the base of a rocky mass that stood, alone and impressive, facing the sea. Inziladûn realised, in surprise, that it was red like the tiles of the roofs of Armenelos, and the last sunrays wrung strange hues from their surface that reminded him more of precious stones than rock.

Dismounting from his horse, he covered the last stretch of the procession on his feet. The crowd had stayed behind, and Lord Itashtart stopped and made a signal to the guards who had followed them to retire as well. Left alone, Inziladûn swallowed deeply, and lay a foot upon the divine threshold.

The place smelled of humidity, not like the small sanctuary of the Armenelos royal palace, but a different kind that felt strong and salty, like the Sea itself. It was so dark that he needed to blink several times to become accustomed to lamplight.

A metallic glitter was the first thing that he saw, forming curious shapes under the veil of shadows. He stared at them in curiosity, and noticed that the walls were covered with piles of precious objects and gems of every kind, the presents that the princes of the land sent every year to rival each other in magnificence. Slowly, he advanced among them, his footsteps silent against the colourful mosaics of the stone pavement.

His eyes could already distinguish the figure on the altar, and his heart started beating quickly inside his chest. Stopping on his tracks, he willed himself to be calm, to approach the altar with the required serenity.

The statue of the Goddess was made of pale ivory, and dressed in blue silks with silver thread embroideries. Raven black hair flew freely over her shoulders, crowned by a delicate diadem made of pure silver. Her chest was bare, and a child was feeding from her breast, not playing with it like the one held by the Lady of Armenelos. Under her feet, a crescent moon engraved with pearls gleamed under the faint light of torches.

Letting his glance trail further down, Inziladûn saw the altar, drowned under a mass of evergreen boughs of Return, vowed to the Goddess by grateful captains after successful trips or dangerous ventures. Only one, spread in a prominent place for everyone to see, made a strong contrast with the others: it had withered, and his leaves were brittle and dry.

An inscription said that it was the bough of Return of Aldarion, who, according to a legend, had felt the wrath of the goddess for taking a forbidden path to the land of the Elves. Other popular lore that Inziladûn recalled, however, stated that the reason of the goddess´s anger had been his disregard for his wife, the Princess Erendis. For many in Númenor both traditions had melded into one, the double sin of the impious Aldarion against the majesty of the goddess in her consecrated dominions of sea and love.

Approaching a step further, Inziladûn saw that there were silver letters following the curve of the crescent moon. They were verses of the most famous litany of Ashtarte-Uinen, which he had learned as a little child:

 

Daughter of the white foam

Fairer than silver

Fairer than ivory

Fairer than pearls

Mother of All”

 

Inziladûn swallowed, and dared, for the first time to look at her face. Her beauty surpassed that of her sister in Armenelos by far, finely carved by the famous Abdashtart, greatest of the sculptors who had ever graced the land of Númenor. For an instant, he felt her gaze upon him, but this time he did not allow himself to lower his head, overwhelmed by the intensity of his feelings. He kept his glance steady, and studied her carved features searching, almost wishing for the familiar signs of love.

Just as he had feared, there were none. She was nothing but a beautiful statue, devoid of life or feeling. This realisation should have brought him peace, but instead he felt strangely cold and bereaved, like the night when his mother had closed her doors to him forever.

And then, Inziladûn felt a new understanding dawn in his mind. The child had needed his mother, and his fancy had woven her in the features of this silent goddess of ivory. The sailors who had cut those green boughs had needed her protection from the dangerous mercy of the seas. She bestowed healing upon the sick, comfort upon the grieving, love upon the forsaken.

Her image had been wrought from the wishes and dreams of Men, and this had been the source of this inert statue´s boundless power.

Shaken, the young man turned aside from her. Two dark eyes met his, patient and unflinching.

Realising for the first time that he was not alone, Inziladûn tried to sober up, and stared at the intruder who sat upon a finely woven rug on the floor. It was a woman with a diadem of pearls upon her brow, whose dark hair flowed down her back in a cunning imitation of the goddess. Precious jewels hung from her neck and arms, and she wore long skirts of blue silk; her breasts, however, were fully naked. Her skin had the pale colour of someone who had consecrated her life to a place of shadows, and her lips were curved in an inviting smile.

Inziladûn´s chest clenched. He knew why she was here, and he did not have the heart for it. And yet, he had to. He had been sent on the King´s stead, like his father so many times before him. With forced steps, he reached her side and knelt in front of her, and, unexpected and graceful as a serpent, she took his hands with her own.

Even back on the day of his majority, when he had been forced to undergo this ritual for the first time, Inziladûn remembered having felt torn about it. In his mind, the Goddess was a mother, and the carnal aspects of love that she patronised felt to him like a revolting contradiction. Now, he felt more unprepared than ever, almost violently pulled away from the raging turmoil of his feelings and reflections by that woman´s arrival.

Slowly, yet skilfully, the High Priestess of Ashtarte-Uinen undressed him and scattered the clothes upon the rug. Noticing the tension in his limbs, she smiled again, and laid her soft hands over his shoulders, letting them trail down his skin with feathery caresses. As Inziladûn closed her eyes, he had a sudden vision of the warm fondness in Artanis´s features while she pressed her body against his, and he was shaken.

Regaining his composure as he was able, he laid back on the rug, and forced himself to surrender to the might of the goddess. The High Priestess crept over him, light and swift, in total silence. The dim lights of the ceiling, and the spark of a challenge in her eyes were the only things that he could see now, towering over his face. One of her hands moved downwards, and for the first time, he had to take a sharp breath.

The sacred prostitutes, servants of the goddess, were renowned for their extraordinary abilities throughout Númenor and the colonies. There was no woman or man who could boast of equalling their knowledge on more than a thousand ways and branches of physical love. They liked to compare themselves with the soldiers who honoured Melkor in battle and spread the King´s renown with their skills: they were their female counterparts, whose mission was to have all bow to the power of the Goddess.

This particular woman, due to her position, was hailed as first and mightiest of those who honoured Ashtarte-Uinen with their bodies, and Inziladûn soon discovered that there was much more to her than what he could have imagined. His rigid limbs began to relax and unclench under her hands; his unease and uncomfortableness gave way to a thin, swiftly growing ache of desire. With her expert touch, she brought him first to the deepest abysses of misery, and then to the highest peaks of pleasure. She revived his vigour time after time, until he collapsed, exhausted, in her cradling arms.

Soon afterwards, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As was usual in him, his sleep was light, and disturbed by vivid visions that succeeded one another in an endless procession. He saw the dark eyes of the priestess, and heard Artanis´s sweet laugh caressing his ears in the void. The statue of the goddess took life and beckoned to him, but when he embraced her it was his mother that he was holding in his arms, and he felt complete for the first time since he had been a child.

Then, there was a shift, and he felt himself sink to a dark place. He was treading the stone floor of the cave, but there was no lamplight to show him where he was going. In front of him, something gleamed softly, and he realised that it was Ashtarte-Uinen, holding the child with graceful hands of ivory. He rushed forwards, wanting to embrace her again, but her eyes were vacant.

Inziladûn...

Frightened by the voice, which seemed to have echoed in his mind, the young man turned back. A dazzling radiance blinded him, and he fell to his knees covering his face with both hands.

Inziladûn...

Blinking his tears away, a deep instinct compelled him to look again. In front of him there was a woman, whose every single finger, every single hair was perfection. She had eyes like stars, hair like gold, and a crown of woven light upon her brow. Her lips were curved in a smile, but one that didn´t comfort him or give him warmth. It made him sad instead, with an unbearable anguish that ripped his chest.

He wanted her to hold him, and yet he knew that this was not possible. Her hands were made to hold stars in the sky, and her eyes looked through and past him, encompassing the whole world. And the smile in her lips was lost to him, lost forever in this marred land of shadow.

Star-kindler, he muttered, knowing that his voice would never be heard. For the first time he felt the ache, the loss of this lineage of immortals trapped in mortal bodies, who could never reach the Undying Lands. And then he knew why the men of Númenor had built their false gods and chosen to live in darkness, because true light was cruel and beautiful, and hurt them too much.

Just as this thought crossed his mind, he awoke upon the floor of the cave. He felt cold, and his hand sought the space at his side, but the woman had left somewhere during his sleep. Shivering strongly, he reached for the rug, and wrapped his naked body with it.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

This trip had changed the direction of his life. During the days of his ride home, and above all when he caught the first glimpse of Armenelos, the royal palace over the hill, and the domes of the temple of Melkor, Inziladûn was forced to ponder this truth in his mind. A confused and rebellious young man who had wanted –needed- to know the answer to many questions had left this city not even a couple of months ago; now he was back, and the dangerous knowledge of too many things haunted his steps.

As they entered the First Courtyard of the palace in a clatter of hooves, however, Inziladûn´s grim musings gave way to surprise. Except for the soldiers who had opened the gates, there was no one there to greet him. Only the White Tree –Nimloth- stood in its corner, haughty and abandoned by those who lived in fear of its memories.

“This is strange, my lord”, he heard someone mutter at his left. “They were notified of our coming.”

Inziladûn dismounted, the first thrill of a premonition growing within his heart. Without waiting for anyone to follow, he walked towards the gates of the Main Compound, and almost bumped into a group of men who were talking in agitated whispers with a woman. As soon as they recognised him, they all stopped talking and bowed.

“What is the meaning of this?” he asked. Nobody answered him.

The premonition became stronger.

“What is the meaning of this?” he repeated. After a while, it was the woman who advanced a step.

“Something –I am not sure what, but something has happened in the North Wing, my lord. I was trying to...”

But Inziladûn had already left. As he dazedly stumbled through the labyrinthic corridors, past many groups of people who gossiped and whispered and bowed to him, a persistent vision flashed alone through his mind –of the giant wave, engulfing the woman who lay curled on the ground at his feet.

The guards of the North Wing stood aside as they saw him come, and made no comment when he passed them by. It was the first time since Inziladûn was a child that they had not held him at the threshold, denying him entrance. The crumbling of those eternal walls, the casual brushing aside of so many days and nights of misery only served to turn his anxiety into dread –it was as if the order of his world had come to an end at that very moment.

As if to corroborate this fear, the first halls and gardens that he crossed lay in a heavy silence. No proud ladies, no bustling attendants, no sound except for the echo of his swift footsteps on the floor. Taking a sharp breath, he undertook the ascension of flights and flights of stairs, and finally found some signs of life at his mother´s level. A young lady ran past him with a frightened expression on her face.

Now, he could hear the first sounds, of women voices echoing each other´s laments, and the light sound of feet running and silk rustling. As he turned around a corner, he found himself face to face with his brother.

“What happened?” he asked, unceremoniously. Then, however, he sought his face and his heart sank. The younger man had gone completely pale, and behind the pallor there was a horror, a fear that struck Inziladûn almost physically.

Before he could recover, Gimilkhâd pushed him aside, and left in a rush.

Throwing aside the last semblances of propriety, Inziladûn ran towards his mother´s chambers. A crowd of ladies blocked the door, and he made his way among them without even bothering to tell them to move aside. As they recognised him, they pulled back, gazing at him with expressions of the deepest compassion.

The first thing that Inziladûn could see was Gimilzôr´s figure, standing like an abhorrent contradiction in the middle of the sanctuary of his childhood. Quickly, his eyes darted towards the bed, and there he could see his mother in a soft violet dress, lying with closed eyes and both arms stretched at her sides.

Dead.

“... and she was there, sitting in front of the window...” the voice of the lady Nidhra, choked by sobs, reached his ears as if from a great distance. “She had taken to doing that of late... used to stay there for hours, until I told her it was time to eat or sleep... I... I called her... She did not hear me.... I touched her arm, and it was cold....She fell from the chair...” and back again to the loud, gasping sobs. “She... she fell...”

Inziladûn advanced towards the bed, like someone who has been possessed by a spell. He lost no time wondering if his father would have been surprised at his sudden appearance, or if he would be angry at his repeated breaches of protocol. She was dead. How could she be dead? She was healthy. She was young.

She had promised.

“What did you do to her?” he hissed, turning to face Gimilzôr. His father´s eyes widened, too shocked at his words to show an immediate reaction. Ignoring the laws of prudence that had been engraved in his mind throughout the years like a second nature, Inziladûn seized the opportunity to look into them, in search of proof of his guilt.

At once, a wave of pain shook him. It was a smothered, twisted and complicated pain, yet intense and sharp as the edge of a knife. He tried to find more, but Gimilzôr regained his composure, and his shock became a terrible anger.

“Grief has made you forget your place”, he stated, dignified and regal in spite of everything. Anything before losing his composure in public... even if his wife´s corpse was lying in front of his eyes. “Because of this, I am willing to forgive you this time.”

Unable to look at him any longer, Inziladûn forced himself to regain a grip on his senses, and fell to his knees in front of his mother´s bed. She was so beautiful, even in death. No - even more in death; she was now fairer than she had ever been in life. Her features were at last free of the shadow of grief, in an inert semblance of peace.

Where could she have gone now? Had she passed beyond the Circles of the World as Valandil had said, and what was there for her to find? Inziladûn tried desperately to hold on to the belief that she was happy, but the uncertainty of it all tore at his insides.

Images flooded his mind, of a sunny garden, the soft scent of an embrace, a smile and a whispered tale. He saw her, young and grieving, curled upon her bed while her body shook with sobs. Her joyful smile, a tired face and a whisper in his ear.

I will wait for you.

He felt broken. He was lying in the dark, unable to understand for the agonising span of a moment. Why had she broken her promise? What had taken place between those stone walls while he rode to the West, free to discover the world?

Had hope deserted her as she languished year after year, away from all those that she loved?

Inziladûn recalled the words of Eärendur, as they both talked of the past in a secret library of dusty scrolls. A last chance to have a Prince of our bloodline... to fight the shadows... the power to save Númenor, the sacrifice of everything for the sake of this sacred mission. First, he was overcome with anger, as he realised that without those high-flowing concepts, Inzilbêth would have still been alive, smiling with the rest of her kin under the trees of malinornë. And then, he felt the need to laugh like a madman, because Inzilbêth´s greatest sacrifice had had nothing to do with the lords of Andunië, or Númenor, or the Valar, and deep inside, he suddenly knew.

I knew that you would never be in his favour as long as you were my son.

A woman´s strength breaking down, a small, trembling child in his arms.

She had done it for him. For him, so he would be heir to the throne of Númenor, and King, and be one day free from the shadow that had engulfed her.

Swallowing the knot in his throat, Inziladûn took her hand, cold and rigid like the ivory statue of the Goddess, and as lost to him as the Star-Kindler who sat upon the sacred mountain of Taniquetil. Then, he bowed deeply, and forced the words to come out of his mouth in the shape of a trembling whisper.

“Thank you, Mother. Thank you.”

Suddenly, a powerful flash of a smile upon an oval face crossed his mind. Something slipped into his grip, warm and unexpected.

After he made sure that his father had not noticed, Inziladûn gathered back his silent, raging defiance, and hid his mother´s most precious jewel under his sleeve.

 

Alone

Read Alone

 

Nor can the Valar take away the gifts of Ilúvatar. The Eldar, you say, are unpunished, and even those who rebelled do not die. Yet that is to them neither reward nor punishment, but the fulfillment of their being. They cannot escape, and are bound to this world, never to leave it so long as it lasts, for its life is theirs...

Inziladûn paused in the laborious reading, forcing his hands not to fidget in an excitement that covered more shattering emotions. The page was old and worn out, and he had to hold it with reverent care as he deciphered the ancient texts scribbled in its margins with the spidery script of Fëanor.

As he became acquainted with Eärendur´s book, back when he considered it a triumph to make sense of an isolated word in a paragraph, the first thing that struck him had been how the mysterious names of the ancient kings, words that he had seen in scrolls, and even words of everyday salutations that he had trouble to learn as a child because of their raspy, alien sound, had suddenly acquired a sense in the tongue of the Elves. Eär, the Sea. Mir, the Jewel. Cir- the Ship.

Eru- the Creator.

Then, as he had progressed, he had realised that it was not just the names. He had devoured the legends of Beleriand, and found reflections of their own myths, the ones he had been taught as a child and later found irrational and contrived, restored to their real significance. The duel between Melkor and Fingolfin had taken place, but the Elf King had not been sly and arrogant; he had made a last, desperate stand for his people. The “flames unnumbered, and creatures of fire” had really sprung from Melkor´s power, in the battle known as the Dagor Bragollach. That story which was referenced in such extensive detail, most beloved of Elves and Men, of Lúthien and Beren and their struggle for a love that was forbidden by the laws of the kindreds, had been reduced in Númenorean lore to a mere tale for children, where a man sought for his lost wife in the Realm of the Dead. And, though he had won her through his song, in the end he had lost her again- a proof of the loss of faith of later men.

In Inziladûn´s days, the very name of Elves was despised by the men of Númenor. And yet in the past, it had been the ancestors of those same men who had slept in exhaustion after escaping the dark lands, and were befriended by an Elf who came to them under the dim light of the campfire. Before the Elves had taught them, showed them their magnificent cities and the beautiful works of their hands they had been nothing, known nothing at all. Inziladûn compared this to something he had heard about a successful goldsmith of Armenelos, who refused to acknowledge his master, pretending in his pride that nobody had taught him his technique as a boy. And yet, he had to wonder if those Men who built taller than the palaces of Beleriand had really learned everything that the Elves could teach them.

The Elves, as he understood them, had to be creatures of a mysterious perfection. They lived with the Valar, and the Valar, according to the Ainulindalë, sprung from the Great God himself. Purity could not be tainted by immundice, -this was a basic philosophical principle-, and a Vala would not lay eyes upon something as imperfect, changing and drawn to base desires as a mortal man.

This was why they had summoned the Elves, and the Elves, in turn, had been assigned the role of intermediaries, transmitting those teachings to the Secondborn who could not lay a foot on the Blessed Realm. The Elder Spirits had mingled their blood with that of Elves, and Elves had mingled their blood to that of mortals. And from their union a race had been born, higher in perfection than the others, who had subdued almost the entire world of Men –such should the extent of Elven power be!

Still, all those legends had been written by no Elf, but by a Man of Númenor, maybe one of Eärendur´s ancestors, thousands of years after the real events. Sometimes, Inziladûn doubted that the man had really understood the scope of what he was writing, the real essence and motives of the beings who took part in the stories or, alternatively, that he had not changed things on purpose to a language that Men could easily understand. Some contradictions had left him baffled, like the account of the rebellion against the Valar. It was shocking to believe that the Valar would have left the race of Men forever in darkness, and that the Elves had left Valinor against their will.

In time, he had reached the belief that it had simply not been the time, that those elusive natures had felt the claim of fulfilment before it was their due. If the course of events had been properly followed, the Valar would have imprisoned Melkor again, -as indeed they did-, but instead of waiting for their action the Noldor had rushed to fight him themselves, trusting their own greatness. They had not been able to wait until the world was in peace and free from the shadow, and they were free to pass their teachings to the younger race.

And now, in turn, those valiant Noldor had been forgotten and despised by the fickle and proud minds of the men of Númenor. It had been a matter of shock and disgust for Inziladûn since the beginning, when he discovered the extent of Men´s ingratitude and forgetfulness. The Elves had done no evil to them: indeed, they should have been ensnared by the shadow of Melkor that still lay in Middle-Earth in order to believe such a thing. This had made them grow too prideful to acknowledge their masters, jealous of their immortality and the primacy of their race. Proud Kings had consigned the old scrolls to oblivion, and all those people, whose lives were like falling leaves when measured to the immortality of Elves, had forgotten and believed in lies.

Immortality... That this had been a word first whispered in their ears by the insidious shadow of Melkor became apparent in the chronicle that he was reading now, an account of the messengers from the Valar that came to Tar-Atanamir. And yet those evil Elves had given their lives away freely in the past, both to join their fate to that of Men and to help them. There were some among them who even wished they could be allowed to die, like those who suffered from the power of the Unbreakable Oath.

But who would tell that truth to the crowd that gathered year after year in the sanctuaries, singing songs of praise for the Enemy of the World –he shuddered-, begging him to give them years of life, and to preserve their immortal souls in the Void? Would he be believed if he yelled the words aloud, if he showed them the texts and proved how their customs, their legends, their language, were distorted shadows of the world of Elves, who were their ancient teachers, friends, and allies?

This had been his first impulse, when Eärendur´s words and his first readings brutally tore away the blindfold, and showed him a world whose existence he had not been able to suspect until now. Those people had been left in ignorance, yes, even his family, who ruled over them. If he showed them the truth, how could they fail to understand?

Then, however, he thought about the lords of Andünié, and how they had been exiled and persecuted for their beliefs, and his naive ideas dissolved in smoke. Ar-Adunakhôr had officially established the cult of Melkor in all the lands of Númenor, after he had obtained his throne by invoking his name. There were too many matters of power, legitimacy and pride involved in the triumph of the Gods of Men.

Melkor would never relinquish his hold so easily.

This brought him to the last, and more chilling thought. The Wave that was sent to him in dreams was not a nightmare, but a warning of some kind of misfortune that would befall Númenor if they continued to ignore their ancient sources of learning and virtue and turned to the enemy of all gods. And yet such a warning had been sent only to his grandmother´s kin and to him, not to the King´s line as it would have been proper.  The words of the forbidden chronicle at the end of the little book were not enough to explain this strange circumstance. According to the writer, probably Eärendur´s father or grandfather, the blood of the Kings had been weakened and foresight had been lost to them, but his own father was an expert in the art of visions, and he had even mastered the skill of provoking them himself with the sacred herb. Maybe Eru, or whoever of His intermediaries had chosen to send that particular vision to them, had seen in their divine clarividence that the lineage of Ar-Adunakhôr was definitely lost to them, that they would never do anything to fight against the many shadows –of Melkor, of darkness, of oblivion and of human despair – that had brought them to hold the Sceptre.

That he would.

This had been hardest of all to accept: that the strange plans of Eärendur had been, indeed, laced with foresight. Inziladûn had grown to be true to their blood, and not, as it would have been expected, to that of his father and forefathers. Twenty-eight years of shadows had not been enough to turn him into a descendant of Ar-Adunakhôr, to the despair of his kin. He had doubted, he had been skeptical, he had not accepted things that should have been upheld as part of his inheritance as heir to the throne of Númenor. He had not loved Melkor, or the smoke and smell of sacrifices. Ritual had made him impatient, men´s adoration made him awkward, as well as the luxurious artifice that had slowly lulled the conscience of the ancient Elven Allies asleep. And his only fall into error, his love for the Sea-Queen, had been the love for a ghost created by his own desires.

Now, at times, he felt as if the years of searching and feeling unsatisfied had been precious time wasted in darkness. He had been chosen to show the people that their wishes were not gods, and that their past lay hidden from them. Once that he became King, nobody would be able to persecute or exile him for speaking the truth; as Eärendur had said, with him the blood of the Western lords and the power of the Sceptre would unite. He would be the only one able to dispel the clouds of ignorance, and free Númenor from the oppressing rituals of gods and courtiers so it could become again what it once was, the land of joyous seamen and adventurers that was so captivatingly described in the pages of the chronicle.

At other moments, however, the weight of this mission fell upon him as heavy lead, rather than vivifying wine. He remembered his father´s mistrust and cunning, his decision to give him a brother and his mother´s fears, and wondered if this could be merely a first indice of what Gimilzôr was capable of doing if he felt that his son had escaped his grasp. He counted the years that he would have to wait, pretending to share their ignorance, to worship their altars while in fear of being betrayed. And he wondered if another man would one day rally the people who were besotted by lies of greatness and immortality and take the Sceptre away from him in the name of Melkor, as Ar-Adunakhôr had done.

Would they want to accept the truth after so many years of darkness?

Inziladûn took a sharp breath, and closed the book upon the table. There was always that point in his studies, when the conflicting pangs of eagerness and terror faded to a foggy feeling of impotence and confusion. He felt as he did during the vision that he had been granted in the Sacred Cave, trying to look into gleaming eyes that encompassed the whole world.  Years, decades, stretched in front of his imagination like furious waves, filled to the brim with the manouevres and dangers that he would one day have to face, while his body remained imprisoned between the narrow walls of his chambers in the Palace.

A strange sort of hallucination came upon him, and for a moment he wondered if his fate would be to fade away before his time instead, leaving his promises unfulfilled as his mother had done.

Inziladûn shivered, recalling that pale, limp face that stared back at him from the bed. And then, again, Eärendur´s words that night, in the subterranean archive.

It was necessary, Inziladûn.

Shaky hands grabbed the edge of the dusty wooden table, until he felt able to struggle to his feet. Shadows danced in front of his eyes, and he forced himself to focus in the dim light of the candle.

He had to breathe some air. Or else, he would become insane.

 

*     *     *     *     *    

 

That same evening, Inziladûn decided to pay a visit to Maharbal, his old tutor. The son of the Prince had always felt awkward in the company of courtiers and airheaded young men of his own age, and this old man had been the closest to a friend that he had had in his rather solitary life. Nobody else in the Palace understood what could there be in common between the young heir and a low-ranking Palace servant of obscure origins, who prided himself in having made his life quite difficult as a child – but Inziladûn´s respect for him was so great that he even refused to summon the old man, preferring to walk to his modest quarters himself.

If there was someone who could listen, it would be him.

As every other time, he received a warm welcome, and was immediately offered his customary seat in front of an ebony low table. Muttering a word of thanks, he sat down, while Maharbal told a round-faced elderly woman to bring two cups of Umbarian herb tea.

“It has been so long since you last came”, he remarked as they were left alone, in a tone of slight reproach. Inziladûn nodded in silence, but this answer did not seem to satisfy the old man. Shaking his head, he pointed an admonishing finger in his pupil´s direction. “Your features are pale, and there are circles under your eyes. This is not good, neither for your health nor for your spirit. A wise man should mourn his loved ones with moderation.”

The prince shook his head. That familiar, severe frown in the dark and wrinkled face almost managed to make him smile. Almost.

“It is not mourning what keeps me awake at night”, he began, with some hesitation. Before he could speak further, the red beads of the curtain doors made a tinkling noise, and the woman came back with a jar that smelled faintly of jasmine. “I.. am studying”, he continued, with a prudent half-look in her direction.

Maharbal did not even blink.

“In this case, you must know that, though I have always been the first who has tried to make you understand the importance of focused effort, there are limits even to a student´s zeal.”

“I apologise”, Inziladûn said calmly. “But there are things... worrying me of late.”

The old man´s eyes followed the woman´s motions as she served the tea, with an absorbed interest that had provoked his pupil´s curiosity in the past. Once, he recalled, he had even risked sounding stupid to ask him for the reason, but Maharbal had merely laughed and told him that tea was sacred for the Umbarians. The austerity of that man was legendary and almost outrageous for the refined courtiers of Armenelos, but to surround himself with things that reminded him of the city of his birth had always been the only luxury that he allowed himself.

Inziladûn´s eyes wandered through the dark, foreign-looking place which had become so familiar to him. The shelves that did not contain dusty books were full of clay pots with aromatic plants, that Maharbal used to tend everyday with care. Bead curtains hung from doorframes and windows instead of the velvet and silk that was usual in the Court, and the floor under his feet was entirely covered in rugs.

Still, the strangest thing of all, which had unsettled him since he was a child, were the statues that lay upon the windowsills. They were bronze images of the gods, of an uniqueness that bordered on blasphemy. One of them showed Ashtarte-Uinen fully naked, with a multitude of breasts hanging from her chest –the Old Protectress of the Southern colony, Maharbal said, though Inziladûn wondered if she was not rather a goddess of the desert barbarians, from whom slanderous tongues had the old man descend.

Several others showed Melkor, whose representation for ritual purposes was forbidden in Númenor. One of them, especially fascinating, pictured the moment of the Sacrifice, with a long serpent crawling away from his burning feet. And in the centre, the greatest scandal of all, stood a representation of Eru himself, sitting upon His throne.

Maharbal had always professed to be against irrational superstitions, and yet he kept those Umbarian statues in his own room. Considering what he had come to tell him, Inziladûn could not help but watch them in a newfound apprehension for a moment. But then the old man´s eyes sought his, and he could see nothing in them but the wisdom he had always admired.

He swallowed deeply.

“Things that worry you since you came back from Andünié?”

Surprised at his old tutor´s perceptiveness, Inziladûn needed a second or two to react and nod. Maharbal made a gesture to the waitress, who bowed and left them alone.

“How do you know?” the prince asked, feeling childish. The old man shrugged.

“I was told that the Lord Hannon,” at this, he made a slight gesture of respect in honour of his superior” remarked that you had been unusually quiet and absent on your way home. You were even about to lead your horse down a cliff, he said.”

“He did?” Embarrassment gave way to puzzlement, and then to a slight alarm. “And the Prince heard it?”

“You should have no doubt about that”, Maharbal nodded dryly. “You knew that his mission was to follow you close.”

“Still...” Inziladûn began, then interrupted himself. Of course he had known – but, engrossed in the conflict that those first revelations had stirred in his soul, he had grown careless. He cursed between his teeth.

“I did not teach you to utter those horrible words in public or private”, the old man scolded. Then, however, his severe tone showed a slight waver of doubt at his next words. “Have you come to tell me things that... those people said to you back then?”

Inziladûn bit his lip. Now or never. He gathered all his courage, intent on phrasing what he had never dared tell anyone before.

“There are, indeed, some things that I do not understand”, he ventured, carefully. Maharbal took a hearty sip of his tea, and gave him an encouraging nod. “Some people in Númenor believe that Melkor... the Great God, is not as we think he is.”

“That he is the incarnation of Evil”, the old man completed, to Inziladûn´s renewed shock. “Indeed, this is the belief of the Elf-friends, who were exiled by the King.”

Inziladûn drank from his own tea, feeling his confidence grow at this unexpected show of knowledge.

“You will maybe say that they are traitors, and that they have turned their backs to Melkor because he is the King´s god”, he started, more enthusiastically. “And yet, where does our faith come from? Has anybody ever seen the Great God? How could we know how he really is?”

“Priests say that they can”, Maharbal objected, matter-of-factly. “The Prince, your father, can.”

This observation did not cool the fire of the young man´s skepticism. His eyes trailed briefly across the monstruous serpent of bronze, and he shook his head rebelliously.

“But we are not priests.”

For a moment, it almost seemed that Maharbal was going to frown at his impudence. Only after a while, his wrinkled features relaxed with an indulgent snort.

“You have been like this since you were a child”, he said. “Always mistrusting everything that you could not see with your own eyes, or explain to your satisfaction. I must confess that I cannot very well believe that you have been won over with stories of Baalim and Elves.”

I have seen the Valar, Inziladûn thought, remembering his vision in the cave. And things have been explained to my satisfaction, for the first time in my life.

Still, he had to keep a semblance of prudence, so he kept those thoughts to himself.

“The context does not matter. I do not relish the thought that I might be worshipping an incarnation of Evil –that is all”, he said instead. His attempt at flippancy was not very successful – he had always been argumentative.

Maharbal shrugged, somewhat impatiently.

“Such big words! Young men such as you often fail to see things in perspective. No, I have never seen the Lord Melkor. Does this matter to me? Our prayers are answered, whether we are worshipping correctly or not. Númenor is prosperous. People are happy. Though they would never admit to such a thing”, he ironised. “I will try to explain it to you with other words, so you might understand it better. I do not think there is such thing as a good or evil god, like this, in our absolute human terms. A god is good if he fulfils his obligations towards his people, whether he has fought against other gods, broken their lamps” Inziladûn´s mind caught the allusion, and he was forced to blink, “or antagonised the Elves.”

“How can you say such a thing?” The young prince was appalled. “You always told me that I should set all my efforts in perfecting my character, no matter what other people thought about me.”

You are not a god. Or so I often taught you to remember”, Maharbal replied.

Involuntarily, one of Inziladûn´s hands was raised to caress the raspy coarseness of his beard. His old tutor had been the one who had encouraged him in his decision to keep it, when the others expressed their disapproval – and he had said that keeping a beard was a good way for a man to remember that he was as close to the animal as he was to the god. Which you, of all people, may have need to remember one day, he sometimes added, sententiously.

“But I rever a god as an image of perfection! How would he deserve our worship if he had committed crimes like the most vile of men?”

Maharbal let go of a sharp sigh.

“For a man who complains of not being able to see Melkor with his own eyes, you seem to be sure of quite a lot of things!”

Inziladûn shook his head in frustration.

“You are deflecting my arguments!”

The old man´s eyes narrowed in warning. At last, the prince thought, he had managed to touch a chord of his pride.

“All right. You wanted me to give you an argument, and I will ,“he announced, drinking what remained of his tea. “We are men, and, as you rightly pointed out, not even priests. We will never lay eyes upon a god, feel his presence, or know the truth about him. This is why, what matters in our relationship with the divine is the things that we can grasp – the favours that we receive, and the rituals that we offer to him for the good of our society. Because for us, there will never be anything beyond this. It is infinitely more productive for us to worry for our own virtue than for the virtue of a god that we cannot even see.”

For a while, Inziladûn forced himself to reflect on those words, staring at the cold green liquid that remained on his cup. They were wise – and their power of conviction was almost fascinating, inviting him to let go of the turmoils that assaulted his mind and go back to the simple routine of giving and receiving. And still, something in his heart refused to surrender to this escape path.

“On the contrary, I feel that the god´s virtue is of great concern for our own. “he argued. “An evil god, even if we cannot see or understand his wickedness, will seek to corrupt us and our society. Back in the old days of our kingdom “he continued before the old man could interrupt him again, “we were friends with the Elves. I know this. Our Kings had Elven names, the Elven-tongues were spoken in the Palace, and we followed Elven customs. And we were happy. There was a great joy in living and travelling, and discovering new things, and exchanging gifts with the other kindreds. The barbarians of Middle-Earth revered and loved us, while now they only seek to break our dominance through war. We talked face to face to each other, like equals, like friends, while now we must lower our faces and bow, and mumble empty formalities through a chain of intermediaries! We only worshipped Eru in the pure snows of the Meneltarma, and were content with it, while now we beg on our knees for the slightest needs of our daily lives, and swallow pestilent fumes!”

Vaguely conscious that he had lost his restraint, Inziladûn felt a pang of warning in his stomach, and forced the torrent of imprudent words to stop. Maharbal´s eyes widened for an instant, and his hands increased their grip over the empty cup. For the first time since he had met him as a child of five, the young man surprised a shadow of fear crossing his features.

He had betrayed himself.

“This is... well, a point of view”, the Umbarian finally replied, though his argumentative ardour felt a little forced. “Not everybody would share this opinion on things, if asked. How many Númenoreans would tell you that they preferred toiling for the products that they need for their daily lives, instead of receiving the imports from the colonies and the tributes of the barbarians? How many inhabitants of the cities would give away their luxury, the refinements that they can buy in the markets, the splendour of the palaces and temples in benefit of a simpler and more virtuous life? Would they choose to greet a king wearing a ridiculous beard in the streets, over the magnificence of the Court processions? “He shook his head, somewhat sadly. “Alas, my friend! This is not so obvious.”

Inziladûn swallowed, a little affected by the discomfort that he felt oozing from the older man´s soul. Gruff and strict as he was, there had never been another father figure in his life, but this discussion was piercing the thick skin of the Umbarian.

Had he hurt him?

Did he feel disappointed in him?

He felt a painful sensation of abandonment, crossing him like a cold shiver. Was this how Eärendur, how Valandil had to feel at every moment of their lives? All those broken statues, dead mothers, lost friendships.

He was alone.

“I am sorry for disturbing you”, he muttered, making an attempt to stand on his feet. Immediately, and with a quick movement that seemed almost impossible in a man of his age, Maharbal´s hard hand pressed against his shoulder.

“Look at me, please.”

Inziladûn had never heard his tutor plead before. A bit reticently, he obeyed - and as he met the old man´s eyes, a wave of sadness shook him to the core.

“Maharbal...” he began. But he did not know how to continue. He did not know the words that were needed to make this man understand and accept, or even bring him comfort. Suddenly, he was at complete loss.

“Before you leave, I want you to know one thing, and to promise that you will never forget it”, Maharbal interrupted him, saving him the embarrassment. His tone was so intense, so passionate that it made his stern countenance look briefly like a contradiction. “My life is old and worth nothing, and I would gladly give it away a thousand times before any harm could come to you.” He fell momentarily silent, and the thunderstruck Inziladûn could hear a slight choke before he was able to continue. “But you must be careful with what you say and do. Much more careful than this. The priests of Melkor are powerful, and they would be very alarmed to hear a future heir to the Sceptre talk in this strain. And Inziladûn, my lord prince...  please, do not make me say it.”

The young man felt a knot gather in his throat, and nodded. A warmth was seeping inside him, in response to the man´s quiet distress.

He felt humbled.

“Forgive me. I... will be more careful.”

Maharbal accepted this answer in thankful silence. His thin lips curved in a slight smile, dark as the desert sands.

I am on my own, Inziladûn thought, as, minutes later, his feet brought him down the corridors and galleries in the direction of his own chambers. But not alone.

Not yet.

 

Interlude II: Shadows

Read Interlude II: Shadows

Sometimes, in my dreams, I see her face. Her features are sharply chiseled and haughty, like those of a gull perched on the sea-battered cliffs of Andúnië, and she looks at me with disdain.

 

She was beautiful, they say, with huge and stirring eyes. Her face was soft and her smile kind, but never for me. Never in my dreams.

 

Maybe I have imagined it.

 

The first face I can remember in waking life, out of an early blur of severe ladies with silver on their hair, is that of a man with black eyes. For years he watched me, loved me, turned me into what I am now –an imperfect mirror of perfection, never worthy enough; a shadow of his powerful reign.

 

Was he ever a shadow of him, too? Did he ever learn his secrets and carry his every bidding, in a distant day before I was old enough to understand? And if he did, how did he break away and shatter the silver prison of hopes into a thousand cutting shards? What did he do to fill the black eyes with fear and loathing, to deny their love until it turned into hatred?

 

He is the conspirer, the traitor who befriends Western enemies with gull features behind the King´s back. The apostate who smiles in soft disdain as he kneels at the feet of the gods of Númenor, while he surrenders his soul to the foul spirits of the Western shores. The sharp glance that tears apart the minds of men, the temerity that climbs to high places in the dark hours of the night. He is miles ahead of me, the keeper of precious secrets, and he will not even turn back and look at those whose respect he does not need.

 

And this is why I hate him.

 

Tonight, I will throw a last party before my departure. I will sing and dance, and share my wine with my friends until I am drunk, and later I will share the bed of a lady whose features I will not be able to remember afterwards.

 

At dawn, I will not be at the courtyard of the Tree with my escort at the appointed time, and his disdain will maybe turn briefly to annoyance for the delay before he turns his back to me and rides to the front with his friend. They will exchange accomplice glances, marvelling at my stupidity and my extravagance, and still, I know that one day we all will be taken by our doom, and then I will be remembered as nothing but a shadow.

 

But beware of shadows, Inziladûn. Beware of shadows.

Turning Points

Read Turning Points

Year 3083 – 51st year of the reign of Ar-Sakalthôr

 

First, he turned his gaze to the West. He stood firmly, in silence, feeling the aching brilliance of a sundering sea pass him by and disappear in a vertiginous blur. He saw a white shore, and there was a radiance that emanated from the sand the instant before a wave covered it with its foamy embrace.

A pair of naked feet, carved with a mysterious perfection, trod upon the shore to meet the Sea. He followed them in mindless fascination, then felt the danger and forced himself to look aside. For a brief moment, his soul shook with the agony of bereavement, but soon his shivers surrendered to the warmth of triumph. He had defeated temptation.

Surer of himself now, and confident with this power, he looked towards the East. Armenelos was there; an altar of beauty veiled by the fumes of iniquity and the chants of ignorance. He saw a mighty king who held a sceptre of rubies and commanded more ships and soldiers than there were grains of sand upon his shores, and who hid in the darkness of his chambers in fear of his gaze. His back was guarded by the terrible arms of the greatest harbour ever wrought, outstretched in the sea like jaws that tried to engulf the land of Middle-Earth.

Then, there was more water. Stormy and dangerous, this one, whirling in dark pools and exploding in jets of white in a capricious sucession. And then another coast, lone and barren except for two jewelled standards driven into its heart by the hands of foreigners. One of them a mighty city, terror of the enemies of the Númenoréans, full of soldiers and merchants and dark practices. The other, a city without land, floating on the waters with its thousand white towers, in quiet disdain of the barbarian mainland that it faced and faithful only to the island that had once been its mother, whose lines were lost behind the horizon.

But he did not stop here, either. His glance sought further, for blurred silhouettes that escaped even the comprehension of his own people. He saw tribes who lived in caves and rough cottages, of dark-skinned people with painted bodies and fair-skinned people wrapped in furs. He saw proud chieftains who sagged under the weight of the gold, gems and jewels of the bright-eyed foreigners, while they allowed their own people to be enslaved in their mines. Some resisted and fled, and became ferocious tribes that lived on the peaks of the mountains and survived through rapine. Others undertook a long journey without return, and after escaping the far-reaching shadow of Melkor they became tied in a worse darkness, behind the mountains of Mordor.

Mordor...

Yes, he would go even there, in spite of the whispers that he heard behind his back, asking for caution. Past the iron bulk of the Black Gate, an army of mutilated beings was growing in the darkness of caves like a swarm of murderous  insects. Sitting on his black tower, the Enemy waited.

And far beyond, untouched by the stain of this marred land, a kingdom of light stood still, draining its last days in the slow harmony of forgotten memories. Its beauty was dim and vivid at the same time, like a dream of Men, and he felt the need to weep. Once again, he sought for control.

His gaze focused on a palace that stood above the rest. It highest tower shone under the sun, delicate like crystal but hard like diamond. And inside this tower was a creature of light and wisdom, fair and noble, a hero of legend.

Grey eyes, old as mountains, sought his with an unvoiced question that shook his soul. His hands increased their grip, their knuckles white as he was forced to lower his head as if he had been blinded by an intense radiance.

Slowly, however, he became able to master this emotion, and forced himself to stare back into the eyes of the king of the tower. He swallowed the knot in his throat.

I am Inziladûn, son of Gimilzôr” he said, in a voice that came out firm and proud, without a hint of a stammer “heir to the throne of Númenor.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As soon as he was finished, the dark hall echoed with an almost imperceptible sigh. Inziladûn stared at the pale faces of Eärendur and Valandil, and saw a great tension dissolve into looks of newfound admiration and relief.

Eärendur moved towards him, and laid a hand on his shoulder.

“You were magnificent. We were not wrong to hope.”

Inziladûn nodded in mute thanks. He felt shaken by the feeling of euphoria that had run through his veins like a river of molten lava, and this subterranean place felt cold and humid in comparison. Shivering, he tried to force his body and soul back to normal, until he reached a semblance of stability.

“... Must leave now.” he mumbled. Then, in a steadier voice, “We... may be discovered.”

Eärendur shook his head.

“Sit down. You are tired. Númendil is with him.”

A part of Inziladûn, the part that felt bereaved and cold, wished to surrender to those calming words. They knew what to do, they were wise and experienced. But the fear and the urgence tore once again at his insides, the risk was too great. Gimilzôr had not sent his favourite son to the lair of his enemies so he would quietly enjoy his time next to his brother.

He took a sharp breath, filling his lungs with the humid earth and the salt of the sea. Then, he stood up, and gave a tentative step. A faint dizziness was still over him, but as he walked his second circle around the room, it began to disappear.

“I am leaving.” he announced, in a tone that allowed for no discussions. Valandil´s eyes widened for a second, but Eärendur´s lips curved in a slight smile, and he shook his head in defeat.

“As you wish, then. No one can accuse you of carelessness, that much is certain. Besides” he added, turning to his son, “we have been informed of enough worrying tidings by our royal kinsman here.”

Valandil seemed to reflect on this for a moment, then gave way and nodded somberly.

“This establishment of close ties between the Royal House and the Merchant Princes of Middle-Earth is a matter for worry, indeed.” he said, with a grim look. “Alas! Such an alliance would have been unheard-of even in the times of the blasphemous king! I hope it will not bring danger to our family again.”

Eärendur sighed.

“I always told you to keep in mind that our return home was a temporary measure.” he scolded lightly. “Have a good night, my lord Inziladûn.”

Inziladûn nodded in acknowledgement, and left father and son to speak of their worries together. As he took the stairs to return to the surface of the gardens, he felt the cool breeze wash the last remains of his befuddlement away.

Again, he could not help but muse, again the gardens at night.

He had never forgotten that other time, twenty years ago, when a new knowledge tore him open as he wandered aimlessly around the Elven trees. He had never felt so lost again –so uprooted as that young man who had not yet found his place, and chased after elusive ghosts created by fancy.

On his way, he passed through the clearing of the malinornë trees, whose silver leaves were being cradled by the wind. He stopped for a moment to admire them, and realised, in surprise, that he was not alone.

“I have seen you like this before.” a soft voice whispered behind his back.

Inziladûn turned towards Artanis with a silent greeting gesture. The woman, however, passed him by, heading instead for the centre of the clearing. As she reached her favourite place, she sat down on the grass and beckoned to him.

He shook his head, suddenly feeling bothered.

“I must leave.” he told her. “Gimilkhâd...”

“Númendil and Emeldir are both with him.” she replied before he could end his sentence. “They are playing chess. Númendil has defeated him seven times and he is quite determined to get the better of the crafty Elf-friend at least once.”

The chuckle was brief and tense, and it didn´t even reach his eyes. For a moment he stood there, thinking of what he could say, until it dawned upon him that he had no real excuse to leave, now. So he sat next to her.

“I wish him luck, in spite of the odds.” he joked. Intellect was not among his younger brother´s main strengths - they both knew that.

Artanis considered him with half-closed eyes. A small, sad smile spread through her graceful features, reflecting the silvery light of the starlit leaves.

“Do you remember?” she asked, after a thoughtful pause. “It was here where we first met.”

“Not quite.” Inziladûn answered, in a rigurous and –so he thought almost at the same time as the words escaped his lips- vain concern for exactitude. “It was upon the threshold of your house, when you came to greet me and your father.”

He saw her bit her lip, in a brief flash of anxiousness. But there was no anger, or even annoyance at his correction.

Still, her next words were strangely muffled, and came only after a long while.

“So you are going to marry upon your return.”

It was not a question. Inziladûn shook his head, feeling again the need to clarify.

“Not yet. I am going to- find a wife. Or, which is the same, my father will.”

Her eyes sought his in curiosity, though her features remained veiled.

“Do you know who she will be?”

“I have no idea.”

Artanis smiled.

“Many women must be already planning to poison their rivals.”

Inziladûn snorted at the ridiculous idea.

“Not many. Only those of the royal line. And among them, only those who can stomach an overdose of hair.”

“I find your overdose of hair quite- attractive.”

“Really?” He arched his eyebrow. “And where is your poison?”

Artanis did not answer. Instead of this, her eyes became lost in the distance, in a renewed silence that first Inziladûn interpreted as thoughtful.

Then, however, he caught the reflection of a tear, glistening over the surface of her cheek. His surprise became shock, and then realisation, and cowardice, and a brief, strong need to flee that he managed to master.

Finally, what he did was to lay a hand on her shaking shoulder, searching her eyes with an honest expression of regret.

“I am sorry.” he said. She shook her head, and wiped her face with the points of her fingers.

“So you knew.”

A long sigh, turning to a tremulous smile.

“And still you said nothing.” he realised, with increasing bewilderment. “Why?”

A raspy laugh escaped her throat convulsively.

“So penetrating for most things, yet so blind for others!” she exclaimed, rolling her eyes in a poor semblance of humour. Inziladûn nodded slowly, accepting the rebuke.

Indeed, he should have known. It was something that he had been well aware of since so many years ago, since before he had even seen her for the first time, or admired the unreal, quiet grace of her movements.

“My father would rather marry me to a Middle-Earth woman”, he finally voiced it, shifting slightly in his sitting position. She let go of a forced smile, wiping her eyes again.

“I hope it will not have to come to that! I heard that they barely outlive their wedding feasts.”

“Less chances of begetting another inconvenient heir, then.”

Artanis nodded, falling in a silent mood. The sea breeze blew through her hair, dishevelling it, and she embraced her knees for protection against the chill.

For a brief second, Inziladûn felt the full, anguishing weight of the impossibility of his situation. There was nothing that he could say either to make her happy, or to apologise for something that was not his fault. He could not give her hope, and yet an ominous voice whispered in his ear that this would be the last time that they would see each other alone.

A rustle of silk at his side alerted him to the fact that she was back on her feet.

“Wait.” he said, before she could flee to the safety of her chambers. Artanis paused, but did not turn back. “You have always been very dear to me, Artanis. “He swallowed, for once in his life feeling clumsy in his choice of words. “You... have my mother´s eyes.”

Slowly, the woman gathered enough courage to face him again. There were no tears on her face anymore, but the wet radiance on her cheeks still remained.

She was smiling.

“It is quite an honour,” she mouthed, with a deep bow, “to be compared to what you most loved.”

Then, she swallowed deeply, forcing her eyes to look into his.

“I do not blame you, Inziladûn.”

With this, she bowed and left, tiptoeing across the garden clearing. Like a ghost of another age among billows of white, the unbidden thought came to his mind, and he felt a strange melancholy seize him.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

When he finally reached his chambers in the guest wing of the house, Inziladûn was not in the mood for conversation. His dismay was therefore great as he realised that there was someone else in his antechamber, a hunched figure leaning on the windowsill to look at the gardens below. Dark, unbraided curls fell down his back, in striking contrast with the blue of his cloak.

The first course of action that offered itself for this situation was to ignore him. His brother had never sought him for any good purpose –in fact, he had rarely sought him for anything at all.

But, as he was about to pass him by and retire to the privacy of his bedroom, it was Gimilkhâd himself who turned away from the window, wrinkling his nose in faint distaste.

“That strange light that glows among the trees... it cannot be natural!” he mumbled, touching his Hand amulet as if to ward off something unseen. Inziladûn shook his head in irritation; the superstitious streak was among the things that his brother had inherited from their father.

“They call it starlight.” he mumbled, deliberately cutting in his demeanour. Before he could reach the doorstep, however, his brother´s voice called to him again.

“Wait!”

Inziladûn took a sharp breath. The Seeing Stone had left him exhausted -Eärendur had been right back then, though he had downplayed his words with the help of the energies that the feeling of duty had lent to his body- and the tears of Artanis haunted his conscience. It was not his fault, as much as it had not been his choice, and still an insidious voice in his mind wondered if this resigned, accepting coldness had been all that she had deserved.

“What is it?” asked, forcing himself to keep a steady tone. His brother pointed him towards a seat, and when he did not follow his invitation, his mouth thinned in an ominous line.

“I know where you have been just now.” he announced. Inziladûn felt his heart sink for a moment, then caught himself before a sign of weakness could betray him. He quickly thought back – when they were finished with the Seeing Stone, he had been told that Gimilkhâd was in the company of Númendil and his fiancée. So there was only one valid option: he had somehow managed to get wind of his escapade with Artanis.

He cleared his throat.

“You must be glad to learn that I am human too when it comes to women.” The brief, forced lightheartedness turned to a frown. “But it is none of your concern.”

Gimilkhâd´s eyes widened in surprise. For a while, he stared at him, as if searching for some kind of untold secret embedded in his countenance.

Had it been a bluff?

Finally, his brother´s features hardened again in a determined expression.

“Do not play games with me.” he hissed. With somewhat theatrical movements, he took a paper note from under his cloak and put it in front of his eyes. This time, Inziladûn really froze – it was the Sindarin note that he had been slipped that very afternoon.

Once again, his exhaustion was forcefully expelled by sharp alert, his well-honed instinct of survival.

“I know nothing about this.”

“It was in your room.”

So he had been searching his things. On their father´s orders, no doubt.

“This room is not my room. I am no more accountable for the books and papers that you may find in it than you are for the unnatural light that filters through your window”, he snorted derisively. “And in any case, you are certainly not welcome to it.”

With this he turned back, intending to finish the discussion. As he gave his first step in the direction of his bedroom, however, he felt a hand pulling his cloak, and was forced to turn back again to face Gimilkhâd´s furious expression.

“Do you know what it says?”

“I do not.”

“How did it go? Let me remember... whatever the King cannot understand is treason, were those the words?”

Inziladûn curved his mouth in a show of disdain.

“Do not try to quote Ar-Adunakhôr at me! You never bothered to even learn his history!”

His brother snorted, a raspy, irate sound. Then, he let him go, and began to pace in nervous circles.

“Oh, of course not.” he spat. “Because you are so clever and I am such a fool, isn´t it so?  Or this is what you seem to believe, at least, treating me with contempt and engaging in treasonous activities under my very nose! You think I am such an idiot as to ignore what you do while you send your accomplice to keep me distracted with a stupid chess match?”

“You are a bad loser.”

Though he endeavoured to smile, by now Inziladûn was beginning to feel worse about the situation. Gimilkhâd knew something else. He had discovered some sort of evidence, powerful enough as to give him such an unflinching confidence in face of his brother´s derision.

And he resented him, too. His very eyes were glowering with a vindictive light as he set them on him. For most of his life, Inziladûn had been vaguely aware of his brother´s mistrust and envy, but until today he had not been able to measure their scope.

He swallowed.

“I do not know what this note says, Gimilkhâd.” he assured him, with a serious tone devoid of any flippancy. The younger man smiled, but it was a dangerous smile of confirmation and triumph.

“Well, then...  maybe I might enlighten you myself.”

Inziladûn blinked, taken by surprise.

“Do not be absurd! Of course you cannot. This is some form of Elvish!

“You think you are the only one who knows things that normal people do not know? It certainly would suit your arrogance.” Gimilkhâd replied. “But I will let you know that Father knows Elvish well enough, as well as this Ar-Adunakhôr, with whose history you are apparently much better acquainted than I am. The Kings are less stupid than what you and they think, Inziladûn. You may forbid everything that you cannot understand, but your power will be greater if you do understand it. And even greater if they do not know that you know, I might add.”

The shock that Inziladûn felt was briefly mingled with a stubborn rest of hurt, that he still hadn´t managed to discard through years of private schemes. To tell this secret to Gimilkhâd while he was left in ignorance –yet another evidence of his father´s cold mistrust of him.

Mistrust that he had not always deserved.

My lord Inziladûn, we will be waiting for you this evening in the hall of Seeing. Make sure you are not followed.” Gimilkhâd took the paper and read, flawlessly. As the final realisation slowly sunk into Inziladûn´s mind, he was filled with horror.

His brother knew Elvish. His brother, their father´s less brilliant shadow, was learned in the Ancient Tongues.

His mind raced quickly. If Gimilzôr learned of this, and read this note with his sharp suspicion, he would find grounds to exile Eärendur and his family again, if not worse. He too, would not escape unscathed. And if the Sceptre got wind of the existence of the Seeing Stones of the Elves...

His pallor did not pass unnoticed to Gimilkhâd´s eyes. Inziladûn could feel the gloating behind a thin mask, as he, too, had ceased to care about the fragile laws of propriety that had always ruled their exchanges. For the sake of something so important, he thought, he would be ready to sacrifice his pride and beg, but as things stood he doubted that he would find any mercy from his triumphant brother.

And what if he resorted to threats? Gimilkhâd knew that he was alone among enemies, and very far from the protection of Armenelos and Gimilzôr...

Almost as soon as he had conceived this thought, he discarded it, appalled. Eärendur had undergone all sorts of humiliations to convince the King that he was not the enemy. Would he shatter his efforts in a single second of folly?

Of course, soon there might not be much left to convince the King of anymore.

Inziladûn had never felt so trapped before. The feeling was one of suffocation, of an excruciating impotence. And that it was Gimilkhâd of all people who had put him in this situation, his vain and airheaded younger brother who never cared for anything besides women, fashion trends and superstitions!

Could he have been deceived for all those years, when, blinded by pride, he refused to acknowledge the abilities of his brother?

Could the Elf-Friends, Númenor be doomed because he, the far sighted, had never cared to see?

At the brink of losing his dignity, he forced himself to regain a grip. He regrouped his thoughts. Everything was not lost yet, he tried desperately to remember. Gimilzôr knew nothing of this yet. There was still time.

Time to act. To protect.

Well aware that the lives of his friends could very well depend on his cold blood now, he looked into Gimilkhâd´s eyes, searching for a weakness he could prey upon. An onslaught of conflicted feelings assaulted his mind at once, similar to what he had felt the day that he dared to read his father in a second of open defiance, but raw and unrestrained.

Hate. Revenge. Fear...? Envy because Inziladûn had been loved by their mother, because he had known her. A refuge in his father´s jealous pride... and deep inside the hidden roots of a quenched wish, the wish to be like him instead, the wish to rebel and be feared instead of used by a father who had claimed possession over him since the day of his birth.

Inziladûn was shaken. So many things, that could now bring ruin to their cause. There was a thin memory, magnified and aggravated by years of mulling over its details, of a young boy who had been rejected by the brother he secretly admired. Then, he saw rage and vindictiveness explode in a blinding haze, and red flowers... but before he could see anything else, Gimilkhâd pulled away from him.

“Stop using your Elvish witchcraft on me!” he yelled, his self-confidence momentarily gone in a rush of panic. “It will avail you nothing!”

And yet we must use our weapons, Inziladûn thought, suddenly more sad than frightened. Because this is war, dear brother. Haven´t you noticed yet?

“What is it that you want, Gimilkhâd?” he asked, in a calmer tone. Gimilkhâd´s anger did not diminish at his conciliatory attempt, yet it slowly adopted a different shape: from fearful, visceral rejection it took a controlled edge, a mask of petulance.

“So you will even try to buy me, the Prince´s loyal son? Your treason knows no boundaries,”

“Maybe.” Inziladûn did not move, intent on checking the effect of his words. A dangerous plan began to quickly unfold in his mind, and he cringed. “But you did not do this out of loyalty, either. If you had been the Prince´s loyal son, you would have reported this note to him instead of telling me about it now. Wouldn´t you?”

His brother opened his mouth to protest, but Inziladûn did not allow for the interruption.

“No. You did it because you want something from me. You always have.”

Gimilkhâd stopped for a moment, then snorted to cover his surprise. Inziladûn took good note and continued, feeling his confidence grow.

“I must confess that I have always held you in small worth. Tonight, however, I have discovered that you have a will of your own.” he said, with calculated contempt. His brother jumped at once, but he did not let himself be interrupted. “And you want to hold power over me. To defeat me. To humiliate me.”

“I am loyal to the King!”

But not even a thousand protestations of outrage would be able to hide Gimilkhâd´s growing interest in his words. In spite of the striking resemblance between him and their father, Inziladûn saw that there was still some innocence in him, a small streak of involuntary sincerity of feeling that the Prince had already managed to kill in himself before his sons were born.

He was an immature foe.

Muttering a final prayer to the Allfather, whose final mercy towards Númenor was blindly trusted by the Elf-friends, Inziladûn took a gold ring away from his finger, set with a ruby encircled by a serpent. Then, he lay it in Gimilkhâd´s hand with solemnity, his movements followed by two curious and bewildered eyes.

“If you should come one day and give this back to me” he pronounced, slowly and carefully, “anything you may ask from me shall be yours. So I swear by all gods, Númenorean or foreign, evil or good, true or false.”

Gimilkhâd retired his hand in disgust. Still, Inziladûn noticed that he kept the ring in his grip, and was heartened.

“Why should I let myself be ensnared in your schemes, and become your accomplice?” he asked. “Why should I look aside while you... conspire with traitors?”

“Because one day I will be King, whatever you or Father feel about it.” Inziladûn replied without skipping a beat. The morbid, ominous thought that Gimilzôr could find a way to disinherit him if he managed to craft an accusation of treason crossed his mind, but he discarded it. The strength that allowed a man to impose his beliefs on others came from believing them himself, or so he had learned after his first, youthful attempts at politics. “And if then you are brought to trial for causing the ruin of innocent kinsmen out of a mere whim, at least you will have this ring to protect you.”

Even at the same time in which he said those words, Inziladûn cursed himself. He should not become aggressive. Swallowing again, he moderated his tone before Gimilkhâd could find an excuse to explode.

“Let us not be enemies, if we cannot be friends.” he sighed, gravely. “You have the knowledge that I am bound to you and your desire, and the assurance that I will not underestimate you again. But do not fall to the error of underestimating me.”

Gimilkhâd stared at him, with a mixture of fascination and aversion, and then back at the ring with raw longing. Inziladûn himself was appalled at how the fallacy he had crafted had managed to escalate to the point where his brother was the one being cornered, instead of him. Briefly, he wondered if Gimilkhâd would have the courage and skill to shatter it.

His brother, however, balled his fist around the ring until his knuckles were white, as if unable to let it go in spite of his better judgement. With a last, angry huff, he turned back and strode out of the room.

“I will think about it!”

Inziladûn saw him disappear into the shadows of the corridor, and winced. Dazed, he sought for the first sitting place within his reach and collapsed over it, feeling the fire leave his body and mind and bring him to a state of stupour.

He shivered. He had done what he could to save his friends and their cause. For this, he had forced his skills to the utmost, thrown every other consideration aside, and Gimilkhâd´s final, lost look gave him good reason to hope. And yet, somehow, he did not feel proud of himself.

A little, dark-eyed boy approached him, staring at him in quiet awe.

“Can you really... see what I am thinking?”

Slithering in the darkness that had engulfed his brother´s trembling, irate form, two serpents watched each other with the wary eyes that preceded the strike.

 

Eyes

Read Eyes

Long ago, as he was trying to make sense of his own feelings, Gimilkhâd had thought of an adequate description for the two pairs of eyes that sometimes plagued his existence. He decided that the grey ones were terrible because they only cared to take – to rip him apart and dissect his better guarded feelings, while showing a flat and emotionless surface in exchange. There had maybe been a time or two when he had touched at some of their depths, but the treacherous euphoria had made him too blind to look further.

 

The others, however, the black ones, were used to give and never to take, and at moments he thought that this had to be even more terrible. They trailed over him, scrutinising his every feature, but they did not see him. They bore hopes, disappointments, expectations that sometimes even he did not understand, and whose burning weight he had tried alternatively to escape and to embrace, both to no avail, since he had been a child.

 

Now, as he waited for Gimilzôr´s reaction in his father´s chambers, he thought that those two pairs of eyes had tightened the noose too much in the last weeks. He felt suffocated, but still forced himself to keep a blank expression.

 

“Nothing.” The Prince drank sparsely from his wine cup and frowned, repeating the word as if he couldn´t quite understand its meaning. “Nothing.”

 

He shook his head.

 

“No. They received us courteously, and with the honours that we deserved.” In spite of his efforts, he had to swallow before he continued. “I did not get wind of anything suspicious.”

 

Gimilzôr let go of a sharp breath. His displeasure was evident.

 

“So you did not find anything suspicious? You must have been a poor observer, then. It was your brother´s third visit in twenty years, and I doubt very much that they would waste their time in pleasantries!”

 

“Maybe they never intended to...” Gimilkhâd began, but his father did not let him continue.

 

They never intended to?” he hissed. “Did I teach you to be so gullible? They intended it since before he was even born. They watched over him like carrion birds since he was a baby, and then infected them with their sacrilegious... their treacherous poison!”

 

The Prince´s younger son stared at him in badly dissimulated shock. It was very rarely that his father allowed his composure to fall apart, and though he had never made a secret of mistrusting his other son, it was the first time that Gimilkhâd heard such a raw confession. The insidious thought crept inside his mind that, in spite of everything, it was still Inziladûn whom Gimilzôr seemed to feel more strongly about.

 

This, somehow, had the virtue of throwing his resolutions into a new spiral of disorder. He felt the weight of the ring under his robes; his hand trailed over its cold hardness in sudden doubt. Words formed in his mind, pressed against his mouth about what he had seen and heard back then – the incriminating note that would be able to make the expression in his father´s features change.

 

“I...” he began, then stopped. The eyes filled his whole mind, again.

 

You want to hold power over me. To defeat me. To humiliate me.

 

And it happened. For the first time since they had made that deal, the whole extent of his shame came crashing over him. He had accepted that ring, and with it, he had become an accomplice of the betrayal. Inziladûn had known that he would fall in this trap – that he would be tied by the horrible fear of his father knowing what he had done, and afraid of breaking his word.

 

But this was not all. With a shudder of revulsion at himself, he realised that he already craved the feeling of the ring against his fingertips. He had wanted to hold power over him –and he still did. He wanted those eyes to be wary of him, instead of laden with contempt. He had tasted the feeling briefly that night, and had liked it too much.

 

If he kept his silence now, he would still keep this power in the future, while if he tried to destroy him now, he would lose it all. The war, maybe even the battle.

 

Because one day I will be King, however you or Father feel about it.

 

And it was true, he realised, with a clarity that he was almost tempted to attribute to that elusive far-seeing quality of his blood that he had not inherited. He recalled his father´s words of mere seconds ago, their intensity, and his suspicion. Less clearly, and coming from a more distant time of his life, maybe ten or fifteen years before, he recalled an unvoiced question that had tormented him as his father taught him to be a beacon of light and protect true religion and the lineage of Adunakhôr in times of darkness.

 

Gimilzôr had not killed Inziladûn back when he had been born a child with the features of a Western fiend. He had not killed him, or even disinherited him when he had grown up to despise the gods of Númenor, nor after he consorted with traitors.

 

Because he could not do it.

 

Suddenly, Gimilkhâd felt powerless, unable to grab at anything, and had to take the ring to regain a measure of relief. It was there. It was real. He had control over this, at least.

 

He forced himself to smile.

 

“I think he had an affair with the daughter of Valandil, however. They were out in the woods at night, and they both came back upset.”

 

Gimilzôr´s features tightened in alarm.

 

“He knows that he must marry soon.”

 

“Precisely. She is of the blood of the Kings, is she not?”

 

The Prince shot him a warning look, and he forced himself to sober. Still, this new kind of anger seemed inoffensive, as if he had finally managed to swim away from the deep waters.

 

“His bride is already chosen. I will summon him tomorrow to discuss this affair with him.” The tension faded away a little, and for someone who was as experienced as Gimilkhâd at reading his father´s features, his new expression transmitted some kind of tiredness. “You may leave now. I am sure that your friends must be glad of your return.”

 

They will be gladder of the banquet, he thought a bit caustically, but nodded. His father was not looking at him anymore; he had already become engrossed with one of the papers over his desk.

 

Gimilkhâd remembered when he had been younger, and these sudden indifferences had hurt him. Back then, he did not have so many turmoils to hide, so many reasons to want those eyes to be focused on anything other than him.

 

Quenching this last thought, he offered a deep bow and turned back to leave. Before he had even come in sight of the servants that stood at the door, he heard a voice calling him.

 

 He stopped in his tracks. His father was looking at him again.

 

“Yes, my lord prince?”

 

Gimilzôr seemed slightly incommodated for a moment. Then, he shook his head.

 

“You are still my son, even after... going to that place. I never doubted you would be, of course. And yet, it makes me glad.” he said. Gimilkhâd stared at him, until he realised what he was doing and lowered his glance.

 

Something strange twisted a knot in his stomach. He felt the need to turn away, afraid of his conflicting emotions.

 

“I will always be loyal to you.” he muttered, in his retreat.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

“Long live the King, favourite of Melkor!” The young man who sat next to the door, whose cheeks were flushing crimson, raised his silver cup high. “And may the incredulous believe that divine protection is also upon his family, now that the Prince of the South has come back from the demon-infested land!”

 

His words found a hearty echo at once. Even those who were discussing animatedly between themselves –such as the grandson of the Great Chamberlain and the son of the Lady of the Cellar Keys, who gestured so much with his hands that he had already caused the demise of a fine porcelain plate and a dozen eels-, or trying to steal the musical instruments from the women who played and making more or less clumsy demonstrations, looked up and drank from their own cups in discordant unison.

 

Gimilkhâd smiled, drinking as well. The wine, even as it was heavily mixed with water and honey, was starting to spread its merry effects around the concurrence. In the brief span of an hour the level of voices and noises had grown loud and disorderly, a swift and unstoppable spiral of joy that would culminate in a wild drowning of everything. This was the moment that he liked best – the time when he felt as if an alien spirit had taken hold of his body, and his actions and thoughts flowed like water. There was no room for second thoughts anymore, for subtleties, responsibilities or skilled manouevres. Only the Goddess, guiding his steps.

 

Merry and splendid as this feast was, however, he had found that it was also laden with a certain unreal quality for him. The first time that someone had sung, the first time that someone had laughed, the sounds had entered him like the point of a dart. Back in Andúnië, when he was deeply immersed in that phantasmagorial world, he had not been able to nail the source of his suspicions and discomfort, but now that he could touch life again with both hands, he felt as if he had come back from the dead. Dim images drew their strange shapes in his mind, of feet that did not make noise against the floor and cold eyes that no emotion could touch.

 

Sometimes, he wondered if he had not dreamed everything.

 

“Were there things that could make “warm blood run cold in your veins”?” the young Priest of the Chapel quoted, as he downed a honey pastry with so much skill that none of his words was affected by it. The grandson of the Great Chamberlain stopped his discussion for a moment to nod with vehemence.

 

“There are many stories about the land of rebels.” The son of the Lady of the Cellar Keys interrupted him with a halfhearted “They are the King´s allies!”, but Gimilkhâd shook his head. It had to be a matter of time until his father threw them back where they belonged. “They say that they can summon the spirits of Elves to their aid through magic rites.”

 

“And drink the blood of the holy priests.” the brother of the Gate General added, with a quick hand gesture to ward off evil.

 

“And their women rule the house, and men cook for them!” One of those who had already drunk the most –Nahastart, from a family that held a seat in the Council-, interrupted a passionate kiss with a musician to take part in the conversation. Confused, and also somewhat drunk already, the young woman fell back upon the floor.

 

“And they can command their souls to sever ties with their bodies!”

 

Gimilkhâd laughed.

 

“The did not do any of those things while I was visiting.” He drank, again, forcing the wine to dispel the remembrances of the otherness that he had touched there. Here there was light, and laughter, and he plunged into their core. “They hid their Elves in my presence!”

 

“Oh, they would flee in front of a true descendant of Adunakhôr the Great!” the grandson of the Great Chamberlain cried. “As in front of the King of Armenelos himself!”

 

Gimilkhâd nodded.

 

“Long live the King of Armenelos!” he cried, exultant. Everybody cheered this time, and he threw the empty cup aside to stand on his feet. Gesturing towards his foster-brother Ithobal, the son of the Lady of the South, he walked towards the centre, and both began to dance while they sang an old warrior song.

 

“Lord of the Island

 

King of the Dead

 

Lead us to glory

 

Gallop ahead

 

With the Bright Crown

 

In your proud head!”

 

Soon enough, a ring of dancers had been built around them. They moved in circles, following the rythm of the music with their steps. Most of the front row musicians were coaxed into putting their flutes aside and joining the mêlée, and their faint protests were drowned under a chorus of laughter.

 

One of the last to join hands with the courtiers was a young woman of dark skin, whose light-brown, almost golden curls crowned her head like a halo. For a fraction of a second, Gimilkhâd stopped to look at her, impressed at her appearance.

 

She had obviously been brought from Middle-Earth, from the land of the barbarians. And still, in spite of her exotic look, there was something regal about that body of ample and powerful curves. Even barbarians had queens; maybe she had been one once.

 

Taking advantage of a chance that he had to draw closer to her, he took his banquet crown, woven with myrtle, and laid it upon her head. She paled a little, lifting one of her hands towards it. Her mouth opened to mumble something in broken Adûnaic, but then the multitude around them erupted in daring remarks, and she was swept away again by one of the evolutions of the dance.

 

“Lady of Night

 

Bring us delight!” Nahastart sang, with malicious intent. Another voice echoed.

 

“Show us your might

 

Help in this plight!”

 

“Until the day´s light!” Gimilkhâd completed with a laugh, heading back to the middle of the circle.

 

A long while later, as he felt his feet starting to become heavier, he sought her again, and found her sitting back with the musicians. She took his proferred hand with reluctance, but he was past the fineries of courtship and simply swept her off in his arms. Her grip tightened in alarm, then tenuously relaxed.

 

As they abandoned the hall, wading across dancers, drinkers and impromptu couples, some shaking cups were raised to them.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Looking towards the floor did not fail to bring dizzyness, and the ornaments of the bedchamber shifted a little around him, yet he was sober enough to wish to enjoy the rest of that night thoroughly. He undressed her with all care, closing his eyes and touching the soft fabric of her dress, the harsher surface of her tanned skin –so different from that of the ladies of Armenelos-, and even the curls upon her head, which had been soaked in oil in an useless attempt to tame them. He also made her undress him, and relished in the feeling of her hands roaming over his body and awakening different sensations. She smelled of perfumed ointment, with an acrid touch of sweat and wine.

 

As he pressed against her firm limbs upon the couch, he looked at her face, and saw her brown eyes darken in some endearing sort of calculating wariness, then widen in pain, and finally narrow in pleasure. An odd, warm feeling of triumph stirred inside his chest, spreading through his limbs like fire.

 

Later, as he lay over the dishevelled bedcovers in heavy sleep, he saw those eyes again wandering in and out of his dreams. But there they became grey, and black, and sometimes vaguely accusing.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Clang. Clang. Cling. Clang.

 

This sound, sharp and persistent, roused him from his drunken haze some time later. Groaning something, he tried to hide under the dark quiet of the pillow, but the nuisance did not stop.

 

Cling. Clang.

 

“Shut the fuck up!” he yelled, in a voice that came out hoarse - and slightly ridiculous. A hurried cling grated his ears; then everything became silent once more.

 

In relief, Gimilkhâd curled against the covers, and tried to find his way back to the blissful depths of sleep. But somehow, he realised, he was not able anymore to reach that tenuous stage of perfect unawareness that he had lost. Frustrated, he rolled back and forth, further and further awake at each passing second.

 

Finally, he had to surrender, and opened his eyes to the light of the day. Blinking several times, he touched the space at his left – of course, empty. The woman had left at some point during the night.

 

As he rolled to his other side, and braved the sunrays that burst through the lacquered window lattice, he could distinguish a human silhouette, sitting in front of a table. He blinked several times, until he became accustomed enough to the light as to meet the elegant powdered face of his foster-brother.

 

“What are you doing here?” he mumbled, irritated. Ithobal gave him a bow, and began to gather the small silver balls he had been playing with in a red velvet bag.

 

“I bribed your servants.” he replied. There were no signs of the night´s excesses on his expression; his dark brown hair was neatly gathered on a single braid that fell over his back, as it was fashionable now in Armenelos. Gimilkhâd muttered a curse between his teeth – that bastard had always had that skill to avoid unpleasant after effects.

 

“They will hear me later.”

 

The last silver ball fell in the bag, and Ithobal laced the knot with a fastidious slowness. His eyes fell upon the table.

 

“That woman...”

 

“The musician?”

 

He nodded.

 

“She is married.”

 

The news took a while to pierce through Gimilkhâd´s current daze. As they did, his eyes widened, and he sat upon the edge of the bed so brusquely that his head hurt. He cursed again.

 

“And what the hell was she doing in that banquet?”

 

Ithobal shrugged.

 

“Oh, I am sure that she took the Killing Seed, just like the others. And still... do you need help, my lord?”

 

“I am fine!” the prince snapped back, combing his hair with his hand. If there was something that he hated, it was to look dishevelled. “It was the Lady´s doing.” he added, petulantly. “She brings those sudden passions upon us, and all we can do is submit to her power.”

 

“And yet she loves those who exerce moderation.”

 

“If you are going to lecture me, you may as well leave my chambers at once.”

 

All traces of openness in Ithobal´s face vanished with practiced ease, leaving the look of deference of a true courtier. He stood up, and bowed.

 

“I will leave if that is what you wish.”

 

Gimilkhâd frowned. He did not want to be alone, either.

 

“Stay.” he ordered, motioning to the edge of the bed next to him. Ithobal bowed again, and sat at his side. “After all... you are my brother, I suppose. Who better than you to talk about those things?”

 

“Merely a foster-brother, Noblest.” the other man answered quickly. Gimilkhâd wondered if it was a note of faint alarm in his voice. On the rare times that he had felt somewhat emotional –always after drinking-, people seemed to skirt around him like around a heap of red-hot coals.

 

It irritated him.

 

“I wish you were my brother instead of that Elvish fiend.” he proclaimed, to increase Ithobal´s embarrassment. “You should have seen them! They do not laugh like us. They do not sing, or party, or grow angry, or anything. They are monsters with no emotions, and he is just like them. They ignore you. Look right through you, and then smile as if they had suddenly seen the day of your death.” He sighed, feeling the uncomfortableness prey on him again. “I want to ask you something.”

 

Ithobal´s brow furrowed in an inquiring expression, which had something of veiled resignation.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Imagine that there is a thing... a mission that you have been taught to fulfill and rever above all things since you were born. No, I am lying... imagine rather that you have been born to accomplish that mission.”he began. He did not even wait for Ithobal to nod back. “And then there is something that you have always wished you could have, more than anything else in the world. Suddenly, you have to choose between those two things... what would you do?”

 

If Ithobal had been embarrassed before, the expression that crossed his face now was rather one of puzzlement. Still, he was skilled and well-experienced –a hereditary gift of his mother, the fearsome Lady of the South who had raised Gimilkhâd since he was a baby-, and managed to keep his cool.

 

“I would say that duty should be above everything else at all times.” he ventured. The prince frowned. “And yet, I also feel that wishes are closest to the core of one´s being.”

 

Gimilkhâd pondered this answer in silence, staring at the bright coloured flowers behind the window. He viewed the scene in his mind again, the ring offered to him in the dark of the night, those eyes - considering him with a tantalising, grudging respect.

 

You are still my son.

 

Tonight, I have discovered that you have a will of your own.

 

Burned again by the remembrances, he rebelled.

 

“Closest to the core of my being? “he snarled. “Then why does it feel like my soul was ripped in two?”

 

Ithobal froze in shock. Little by little, as he felt the weight of this new silence, Gimilkhâd began to realise what he had said, and turned back towards the other man with a look of sudden wariness.

 

“My Prince... what has happened?”

 

He opened his mouth as if to say something, then closed it as a familiar sensation hit him on the gut. Ithobal´s eyes were prying, searching for a clue in the lines of his countenance.

 

Curious.

 

“Leave.” he hissed, and looked aside to hide the pallor of his face from their inquisitiveness.

Last Port

Read Last Port

 

Centuries ago, when the name of the city had first been noted down in a literary scroll, it had been but a small dot of land in the horizon, signalled by flocks of white seagulls turning around in protective circles. As the illustrious mariner had sailed closer, however, leaning on his prow and narrowing his eyes, strange lines had slowly begun to reveal themselves to his awed eyes, until a full Númenorean city had appeared in all its glory, with its gardens, white-towered houses and temples.

The chronicler had confessed that his hand trembled at the very impossibility to describe in adequate words what he had felt back then. A city in the water, with the sea for a field, and tall stone houses whose foundations were driven through the heart of the shifting lime!

Approaching the strange prodigy further, he had counted two channels that came to die on sea waters, one crossing the city like one of its avenues and the other, larger, tearing it apart from another island that stretched on its Eastern flank. There, on its farthest end, lay the unfinished structure of a great temple, covered in ropes and scaffoldings. Wondering which god might be the one whom this strange colony had invoked as their protector, he wrote, he ordered his sailors to put their prow to it.

Things had changed little since that day, and the sailor who entered the Bay still felt a flutter in his chest at the first glimpse of Gadir, the Silver Pearl of Belfalas. Like that illustrious mariner had done, Zarhil lay upon the prow of her ship, and left to others the confuse ruckus of orders and manouevres while she devoured the sight with her eyes.

The city ressembled a huge ship, she mused in an uncommon bout of lyricism, floating over the waters with its white towers for sails. She imagined how the nearby mainland barbarians had once stared in astonishment at this piece of Westernesse that had suddenly grown in front of their eyes, that city that refused to enter their world and remained haughtily anchored, unmoving, in the middle of the Bay.

As they rounded the cape and headed for the inner harbour, seagulls overtook the ship with a pandemonium of joyous cries. Zarhil saw them head towards a building painted in colourful patterns of red and white, and turn a circle around one of its four towers. Then, they sped towards the harbour, and, flying over the heads of the multitude and the masts of ships, they plunged into the waves to emerge, seconds later, with struggling fish in their claws.

In contrast with the silence of the sea, the animation of the docks was almost deafening. Ships came and went from the mainlands, loaded with sweet water, fresh vegetables, and pieces of red fruit that the vendors exposed to the appreciating sight of customers upon boxes of wood. As Zarhil´s Aphtaroth was expertly anchored on the Southern end of the crowded harbour –with the help of a couple of commissioners that barked their instructions from the docks- the fragrant smells reached her nostrils in waves.

“This is the last port.” a man´s voice announced behind her back. “Now it´s done.”

Zarhil nodded to Malko, her mate, and let go of a wry smile.

“We buy the offerings for the Temple and we leave.”

Malko frowned. Behind him, some sailors were still busy tying the ropes.

“Leave? I thought we would be spending the night here. The men need a bit of fun.”

“My family has summoned me. The last thing I want is to have them accusing me of delaying my route on purpose again.”

“I understand. “A smile creased his features, darker but softer than her own. “You might receive important news.”

Furiously red, Zarhil walked towards the wooden ramp and tried to drag it alone towards the exit. Shaking his head, Malko called two men over to help her.

“I grow weary of... your... ignorant teasing.” she admonished him, though her gasps of effort spoiled the effect of her irritation. “And you forget your place!”

“My apologies.” he said with a bow. Staring at him with a frown, she shook her head.

“I will have no further word on this subject.” she hissed. Then, dismissing him, she raised her glance and gestured to the rest of the men. “Men! We will be boarding here for awhile. The time to buy....”

“The Lady Zarhil, daughter of Zarhâd of Forrostar?”

Surprised, the woman turned back to the strangely accented voice that had interrupted her speech. A man, dressed in rich yellow clothes and wearing a pointed red hat on his head stood behind her, bowing with a courteous smile.

“Hey? Where the hell did you come from?” a sailor cried, as nonplussed as she was at his sudden appearance. She forced herself to swallow an expletive, and gestured the men to keep silent.

“Oh, as soon as the fair Aphtaroth´s sails appeared in the horizon, the great Magon sent this humble servant in his name, to welcome such a powerful lady to our city.”

“So you came running all the way here and jumped into the ship before the ramp was wholly set?” Malko muttered, still in disbelief. The Gadirite just smiled.

“The great Magon´s house is not far from here. Would my lady grace him with your presence?”

Zarhil blinked.

“Are you inviting me?”

The man nodded.

“If this is your ladyship´s wish.” he added, courteously.

“I am sorry.” she muttered, shaking her head. The last thing she had in mind was to end trapped in the house of a Merchant Prince. “I am here for a brief visit before heading back for Númenor.”

“To buy offerings for the temple of Melkor.” the man completed with an irritating certainty. “Alas! You will find none of that until next week. We are in the middle of our Winter festival.”

“Winter festival?” Zarhil did not believe her ears. Was that man mocking her? “The Winter festival is not until next week!”

His glance had a condescending air as he shook his head.

“The Winter festival of Gadir begins earlier than that of Armenelos. It is also... significantly divergent in other ways. But if my lady is in a hurry, there is a solution.”

“No, thanks.” she growled. “We leave, then.”

This announcement was not received with enthusiasm by the other sailors, who began muttering things among them with surly looks. The words “rest”, “storm” “long travel” and “festival” reached Zarhil´s ears among the undistinguishable blur, and she sighed.

“What is this... solution?”

“If my lady accepts Magon´s hospitality, he will be very glad to provide all the needed items. He is the greatest importer of the colonies, and his storehouses are filled with the finest products of the Island and the mainland.”

“So I could leave tomorrow?” she asked, a bit mistrustful.

“Of course, my lady. Or when you wish. Magon´s hospitality....”

“All right, all right.” she growled. The intensity of mumbled complaints had disminished, and she turned towards the sailors with an admonishing expression. “You may have fun tonight in the festival. But be sure that if anybody fails to board this wretched ship tomorrow morning, he will have to buy himself a passage in the next ship to Sor!”

Then, she turned towards Malko, who was trying to hide a smile.

“And you will come with me.” she added. “Lead the way.”

The Gadirite bowed with an unscrutable expression, and descended the ramp again. Zarhil followed him, trying to ignore the bothersome feeling of unfamiliarity that assaulted her as her feet touched the firm pavement. She sent a last, longing glance in the direction of her ship.

“I hate those quick-thinking bastards.” she whispered to Malko, who raised an eyebrow.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Next to the harbour lay the channel that cut the city in a half, spread between two avenues and as many rows of tall houses with balconies, which provided a good view of the boats that kept continuously crossing under their feet. Their guide –Uhar was his name- hired a small boat, and made sure with polite obsequiousness that Zarhil was comfortably seated in the middle.

“Will he worry about my robes getting wet?” she grumbled in annoyance. Her outfit was plain and grey, and a thick layer of salt covered its faded golden hem since the storm that had surprised them up North. Malko, who seemed to find her plight very funny, made a show of staring with horror at a small water stain over her knee.

As they advanced up the channel, at the slow rythm of the rower´s splashing oars, they first became aware of a strange silence. At the other side of the railings, large groups of people were crowding around something, though there was no visible sign of what they could be looking at. After a while, Zarhil heard an echo of voices singing in the distance.

“What is this?” she asked Malko. “You have been to this city many times, back when you were in the Sorian navy.”

“It´s the festival.” he replied, with a mysterious shrug. “Our guide was right, it is slightly - divergent from ours in certain ways.”

Unfortunately, the end of the traject was a mere twenty metres farther from them, and as the boat stopped at the last step of the stone stairs, Zarhil lost the opportunity to ask for details. At the feet of the Sacred Cave there were no crowds in sight anymore. Everything looked dispirited and lonely, except for several vendors who sat in front of their sacrificial merchandise.

“Two turtle doves.” she demanded, to a sleepy-looking woman who rubbed her eyes and blinked at the unusual appearance of her customer. Malko paid after her.

It was a difficult thing to grow used to the darkness of the place after so many hours of braving the sunrays. For a while, Zarhil stumbled downstairs, hearing nothing but the flapping of wings of the two birds in the wooden cage that her companion held in his hands. When she finally became able to distinguish the lines, she advanced with slow and careful steps.

The image of the Goddess looked dim in the distance, lighted only by perfumed candles and the flames of the altar in the corner. At her feet lay countless offerings of local and foreign sailors, over a pile of evergreen boughs of return.

At this sight, her devotion arose in a blaze, remembering the many people that Ashtarte-Uinen had saved from the waves. She, also, had owed her life to the Goddess in several ocassions, and felt her loving protection upon her many more.

Since little Zarhil had stepped inside her first ship, she liked to believe that the Lady had been the one who had covered her with her silvery mantle, and taken all her girlish fears away with the love of a mother. She had claimed her as her child, refusing to let her go even when she was on land.

“Forgive me, Lady of the Seas.” she muttered, ashamed at the meagreness of her sacrifice. “Tomorrow I will offer you a precious gift, worthy of my love for you.”

At a sign from her, Malko took the turtle doves out, and burned them in the fires of the altar while she knelt to pray. The strong smell of flesh mingled with the scent of perfume, making them both dizzy for a while.

After she had finished the long litany, Zarhil stood up from the cold floor. The shadows danced in front of her eyes, and she would have fallen again if it hadn´t been for Malko´s timely assistance.

“Can you walk upstairs?” he asked with sollicitude. She nodded, pulling away from him.

“Our hunter is waiting outside for his prey.” she joked in a hoarse voice. For the last time, she turned towards the image of the Ashtarte-Uinen of Gadir, and made the holy sign thrice. “Let us go.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Magon´s house was at the same side of the channel as the Cave, and thus it did not become necessary to take another boat. Zarhil had made some brief scales in Gadir before, and knew of its people´s passion for walking, so she was not surprised when Uhar guided them across the slightly curved streets on foot. The shock came upon finding the crowded groups again, pressing in mysterious silence around a doorstep or a corner.

“My lady...”

This time, she barely realised that Uhar was taking her arm and gently guiding her away from that place. Their walk became an odyssey through many other streets of increasingly tall houses, now and then turning in circles to avoid the crowds. Through pressed arms and shoulders, between heads raised in anticipation, she saw drunkards in priestly costumes, men dressed as women, and heard sneers and witticisms about the mainland barbarians, their own citizens, magistrates, and even the royal family. A song about Prince Gimilzôr´s lack of love life became stuck, to her horror, inside her head.

At last they reached Magon´s doorstep, where Uhar had stopped to wait for them. Judging by the briskness with which he ushered her inside, she felt that he was afraid of her coming in contact with some sort of unpleasantness.

The courtyard of the house was as colourful as the front was sober. A portico with columns surrounded a white-marbled square, in whose centre stood something ressembling a well, covered by a brilliant green lid of magnificent metalwork. Ceramic pots with rare flowers and plants lay scattered around the floor and on every corner, - artificial gardens in an artificial city-, and the walls behind the porticoes were ornated with glazed tiles of blue, yellow and green patterns.

As they stood there, admiring that secluded place and dazzled by the contrast with the noisy disorder of the streets, a man and a woman rushed downstairs to meet them. She was a young matron of ample curves, who wore a robe of rich green silks that dragged behind her steps, and silver bracelets over her bare arms. Her smile was sweet and welcoming, but slightly more reserved than that of her husband.

He was the first to bow, with an open look of delight. His yellow robes were covered in intrincate silver embroideries, and a strange effect of the sunlight on his fair skin made him briefly appear like a golden statue. Zarhil stared at him, and her eyes narrowed almost imperceptibly.

Was this the famous Magon of Gadir? The ambitious Merchant Prince who traded with Sor, the mainland barbarians and the faraway Umbar? His hair was short and curly, and he did not look a year above thirty.

“Many stories had reached my ears about her prodigious sea travels, and yet she had always refused to stay in an islander´s house.” he said, fluently and without a trace of the strong accent that she had perceived in the popular singers outside. “May I now have the honour of welcoming the lady Zarhil of Forrostar to my humble abode?”

Zarhil swallowed, her brow slowly unfurling as she became aware of her lack of manners. The continuous sucession of surprises had affected her.

“I am... glad to be received with such courtesy by a stranger.” she quickly improvised, determined to stand her own against the rhetorical  torrent of the merchant. “I am Zarhil, and this is Malko of Sor. Your city –and your house- is as beautiful as I was told.”

“And you are as beautiful as we were told.” he replied, so enthusiastically that for a moment she was sure that he had to be making fun of her. “Beautiful and brave, to have reached the confines of the world with your ship in so many perilous travels. Allow me to introduce myself as Magon of Gadir, your humble servant. And she is Iolid, my wife, also at your service.”

A humourous spark was dancing –ominously- in Malko´s brown eyes. Fortunately, he seemed to understand the convenience of following the given cues, and did not make any comments.

“Stories about me tend to exaggerate. I have not found the end of the world yet, unless it is made of an endless sucession of ice mountains.” She shrugged. “If there is one, it probably cannot be reached by ship.”

Magon and Iolid smiled.

“Everything can be reached by ship. This is why we Númenoreans rule the world.” she sentenced. Then, her lips widened in another smile. “But I am sure that you must be exhausted. How rude of us, to keep you standing at our front courtyard!”

“We are holding a musical dinner this evening, in your honour “he bowed “and for the pleasure of several associates who are currently staying at our house. We would be extremely happy if you both attended.”

“We will.” Zarhil nodded, trying to hide her disgust at the perspective of the endless rounds of polite exchanges. She had never liked this, maybe that was why she relished in the simple life of her ship so much – and merchants were not much of her liking.

Iolid clapped her hands. Immediately, as if they had been waiting in the shadows to be summoned, four young women dressed in silver and white flanked her.

“Please, allow me to show you your chambers. Those women will be at your service for the time of your stay.”

“Thank you.” Zarhil gave a slight nod to Magon, who bowed in all ceremony. Right before she turned her back on him, she had the uncomfortable sensation of being measured with a veiled feeling of amusement.

Malko´s cold fingers pressed against her arm, in discreet warning.

“After all, they are also Gadirites.” he whispered in her ear, as they followed Iolid upstairs.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Gadirites! Humpf.

At least, there was nothing she could object to the room she was assigned. Not even in the Forrostar Palace of Armenelos had she ever seen such luxury – a huge bed half-hidden from sight by a red veil with embroidered golden stars, soft cushions, ivory chairs and a bathroom whose floor and walls were entirely set with glazed tiles. Iolid and Malko left here there with the women, after many concerned inquiries about her needs that she downplayed as patiently as she could. As soon as they were gone, she told the surprised women to leave –she used to feel touchy about her privacy when not at home, maybe because she was usually surrounded by men-, and without even disrobing herself, she sank on the soft mattress with a groan of relief.

When she woke up, it was night already. The new darkness disoriented her at first, and as she struggled to sit upon her bed, she realised that she had a headache. Served her right for sleeping at day, she thought with a muttered curse, but she had been tired as a dog.

Somehow, the noise that she had made alerted the accursed women of the fact that she was awake, and they quickly entered the room with solemn bows. If she had felt a little less sleepy, Zarhil would have wondered if they had spent all afternoon listening to her snores from the other side of the door.

“Your bath will be ready in an instant, my lady.”

“I do not need a bath.” she mumbled, realising the impossibility of keeping the lie even as she uttered the words. She was positively reeking of dirty salt, and there was that dinner that she had to attend.

A dinner with Magon and his associates. She sighed.

“Well, maybe I could need it.” she conceded. “But leave me alone.”

The young women stared at her as if she was some strange object that had just fallen from the sky.

“But...” One of them, the most spirited, bit her lip and dared to brave her glance. “We were told to... tend to the Lady´s needs....”

“How are we supposed to do this, if the Lady doesn´t want us to be here?”

Their eyes became mournful, almost imploring. It was almost as when her small nieces begged for a favour. With her mind still partly clouded by a sleepy haze, Zarhil felt herself relent.

“Do what you will, then.” she sighed. Relief lit their features, and each set to their tasks in a show of perfect coordination. Two were in charge of bringing the water, another of mixing the perfumes and the salts; a fourth knelt to undress her.

As she became accustomed to the feel of their hands upon her skin, Zarhil realised, to her surprise, that there was a kind of pleasure in surrendering to their ministrations. The water was warm and smelled like roses; nothing like the cold basin where she washed her face while she was on the ship. She closed her eyes, feeling sleepy again.

After the bath, two of them began to show her sets of robes, as gaudily magnificent as those worn by her hosts in the courtryard. People would stare at those at the Armenelos court, she thought in a brief flash of distaste, before she armed herself with resignation and pointed at a green and yellow dress that at least was only embroidered at the hem.

The girl who was holding that dress beamed, as if it had been on her merits that it had been chosen. The others ran to take the rest away, while she extended it upon the bed and elaborated on its magnificences and the most appropriate jewel combinations. Not understanding anything at all, Zarhil let her babble on, nodding to everything she said.

When she was at last dressed, there was still her hair left. After an animated discussion, the women smoothed her coarse plaits with some oily product and allowed it to fall down her shoulders. On her crown, they made two small braids and fixed them with golden ringlets, and clapped hands at the result.

Nonplussed, Zarhil wondered if she should have encouraged them by being so compliant. They might remind her of her small nieces, but at the moment she reminded herself of her nieces´s favourite doll. If Malko dared to laugh at her, she would throw him overboard the next day.

“You are radiant, my lady.” the Girl-of-the Dress exclaimed. The others nodded in approval.

“Please, allow us to escort you to the banquet room!” Daring-Girl implored. Zarhil nodded –it was too late to escape, after all, especially if it implied running with that outfit in front of the insolent populace of that accursed city.

What was it with those people, and their habitude of carrying their guests in tow everywhere?

Distractedly smoothing one of her braids, Zarhil sighed, and prepared herself for a very long evening.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Dinner had already begun without her, in a room whose walls were covered with mosaics that depicted all the types of fish that were known to exist in the ocean, swimming in ethereal waves. Some people sat in ivory chairs; others lay on cushions, and their attention barely shifted from the heavily-loaded table where ceramic plates of the most rare and exquisite seafood battled for space with jars of mixed Belfalas wine.

In a first moment, the lights and colours and the noises of conversation made her feel dizzy again, but then she began distinguishing faces. Malko was already there, lying on a couch in animated conversation with a tanned man who wore dark-green robes. He had also been made to discard his usual clothing to don the fine silks of their guests, and his head -which he usually shaved clean before his travels, and had acquired a raspy crop after the two last months- was covered with an elegant red turban that fell over his right shoulder.

Being the first to notice her presence, with a quick and alert glance, Magon rose from his seat and commanded the attention of his guests. Next to him was his wife and another woman, Zarhil realised in some curiosity. In the colonies, men and women only ate together in informal circumstances, as in front of guests they would imitate the protocol of Armenelos and the central regions – but not here, it seemed.

“This, dearest guests, is the lady Zarhil, whose name you have already heard from so many mouths. “he announced. Now that the lights fell on him, the golden hue seemed to be part of his skin instead of an optical illusion. “Since the times of our ancestors and the founders of this city, we have been valiant mariners, who conquered the seas and built our very home among the waves. And she, a woman without equal, is the best embodiment of this spirit!”

“Indeed we have heard much about you, my lady.” a thin man in yellow who sat at the women´s other side nodded. “I was told that you had reached the end of the world, but Magon here told me this evening that you choose to deny it.”

“This is Himilkar, a local associate” Magon introduced him, “and soon brother-in-law.”

The man bowed in answer, and his clear brown eyes met those of the woman next to him. Both smiled in unison.

“This is Abdeshmoun, an Umbarian associate,” Magon continued, beckoning briefly to the merchant who had been talking with Malko, before passing over to a fair-skinned man who wore orange robes and long dark braids, “and this is Azzibal, of Sor.”

Zarhil nodded politely to everyone, and received their deep bows in return. In answer to Magon´s welcoming gesture, she sat down, and immediately a servant offered her a glass and filled it with wine.

The men, especially the Umbarian, were considering her with deep interest. She drank, feeling somewhat shy under his stare.

“A woman in love with the Sea.” he finally muttered. “I had never heard of such a wonder elsewhere.”

“Oh, but this wonder might have an explanation. “Iolid intervened, turning towards her with a bright expression. “The lady Zarhil descends from the kings of old, and one of them was Aldarion, the Sea-lover.”

Zarhil blinked. She would not have expected knowledge of her lineage´s intrincacies in merchants.

“Indeed.” she replied to her nonetheless. “We descend from Anárion, who was Aldarion´s grandson.”

“And this is no mistake.” Malko intervened. “She is a seaman –seawoman- to boot. You should have seen her in the middle of the raging gale!”

“Were you caught in a storm?” Azzibal asked curiously. Zarhil had to prevent herself from glaring daggers at her mate.

“Just before we reached Aiboshim. It was not too bad.” she answered.

“Aiboshim? Then you come from far up North!” Himilkar deduced.

“I had visited some friends.” Zarhil sipped some of the wine very carefully, and realised that it was good. “Barbarian friends, who live in houses made of ice and worship the white bear.”

“She has a bunch of quite extraordinary acquaintances, you see.” Malko smiled. How much had he already drunk?

“There is nothing extraordinary in the story.” she replied, with a slightly cutting tone. “In one of my first trips, I was taken by the youthful wish to go farther than anyone. I found the ice, and then I ran out of provisions for the return home – the whole coast down South being infested with Elves, and all. Those people helped me back then, and for that I am very grateful.”

“And you continued visiting them for years?” Magon asked, fascinated. Zarhil nodded.

“They are always glad to see me. I bring them gifts, and they give me something that they consider to be very precious – the oil of some kind of sea-monster.”

A spark of realisation flashed through the eyes of the Gadirite merchant. He exchanged glances with his associate Himilkar.

“Sperm oil.” the second muttered. “Is it good quality?”

Rudely awakened from her tale, Zarhil had the definite sensation that she had talked too much. She cursed to herself for allowing their polite interest to lure her into lowering her guard.

“I would not know.” I am not a merchant, she thought. But Magon did not seem ready to let it go.

“Would you sell us a quantity, my lady? We would pay you well. We have a connexion with the Southern whalers, but it is a tenuous one at best, and there is high competence...”

“I am sorry, but the oil is a gift. It is not for sale.” Zarhil replied, dryly. Deep inside, she was seething – pay well? What did that man think she was?

If Magon was disappointed at her answer, he did not allow it to show in his face for more that a second.

“Then, as a hospitality gift, I would wish to ask you for a sample –if you give your consent, my lady.”

Caught in the middle of his change of strategy, the woman only managed to nod. After all, she had no valid reasons to oppose that request.

“Certainly. If you come and get it tomorrow morning before we leave, that is. We... are in a hurry.” she added, hoping it would sound a bit less rude. But Magon merely smiled.

“Then it is done. By the way, this reminds me of something....”With a gesture, he summoned a man who was standing on the door, and whispered in his ear. Zarhil frowned, wondering what else would her host surprise her with.

Before her guessing could carry her very far, however, Azzibal´s conversation with Malko caught her attention.

“You are leaving tomorrow already? Has the Festival scared you away?”

“Do not ask me. She is the captain of the ship.”

“The captain of the ship has family business to attend to.” she cut him, picking a crab´s leg from one of the ceramic plates. “And no, the festival has not scared me away. I wonder, however, how is it that you can suffer this sort of thing to happen every year.”

This comment immediately caused a buzz of conversations to start anew. The Umbarian whispered something in Malko´s ears, nodding many times with his head. Himilkar arched an eyebrow with what Zarhil was already learning to identify as Gadirite disdain, and Azzibal laughed.

“Because this is the best they can do!”

“Sometimes it does get a bit trying, however.” the Umbarian grumbled, with his mouth half-full. “I come here all the way from Umbar to see a decent musical spectacle, and then I find that all halls are closed because of that cursed festival!”

Iolid interrupted her conversation with her sister-in-law, and gestured with her chin towards a corner. Following her glance, Zarhil noticed for the first time that five people were sitting there, holding instruments upon their laps.

“If you excuse me for a moment, good sir, two of our musicians here are stars of the public theatre.” she said. “While you are staying as a guest in our house, you will not miss anything that our fair city can offer.”

The Umbarian offered her a bow.

“Many thanks, lady, and I apologise to Magon for my words.” The Gadirite merchant shrugged goodnaturedly, and sipped some wine. “And do not think that I am looking down on your customs. In fact, even this Festival would be welcome in the pestilent sewer where I live. Adunakhôr the Great´s Magnificent Colony of Umbar! “he snorted, raising his glass.” Full of useless sects of philosophers who spend their days in contemplation of the Greatest Good, and harebrained soldiers getting drunk at daytime. And the populace would not have such a refined sense of humour –oh, no, those half-barbarians only know how to revolt whenever there is an infection in the dog-meat they eat. If it wasn´t for us merchants, there would be nothing more than ruins in Umbar today!”

“The Gadirites knew since the beginning how to keep the barbarians at arm´s length.” Azzibal nodded with a smile. “And effectively, I might add. They do not even feel offended for not knowing how to swim.”

“And yet Umbar has its own fields, and people to till them, while we depend on others to feed us.” Himilkar objected, disguising his obvious pride at their insularity under a veil of modesty. Malko sought for Zarhil´s glance, and his lips curved in a grin.

She let go of a sigh, somehow glad to be ignored for awhile. Her social skills had never been good, and those people had a way to make one feel stupid all the time.

And still, as she was about to pick another crab leg, the door opened in full for a sucession of servants, who came towards her carrying all kinds of objects of luxury.

“My employee told me that you wanted to buy offerings for the temple of Melkor.” Magon explained. She stared at him, surprised –was he actually thinking of selling things to her during dinner? “A wise course of action, obviously- as you well know, my lady, the Great God of the Island tends to be angry at ships who head for Númenor before paying their respects.”

Realising that what she considered to be so strange was rather the rule among those merchants, Zarhil left her wine aside with a longing glance, and focused on the things that Magon –a professional seller- showed her with all the ponderings of an expert. Painted ostrich eggs, cloaks dyed with the purple shell of Belfalas, jars of coloured glass, necklaces where gems alternated with glass beads painted in the shape of eyes – Magon had everything.

A bit overwhelmed, she did nothing but nod at the things she was shown, choosing one or two to look at them closely, until he picked the last of those items, a delicate bough sculpted in silver adorned with pale blue gems.

“What is this?” she asked. Magon stared at it appreciatively, then shook his head.

“No. Not appropriate. My mistake.”

“What is it?” she repeated. She had seen a similar thing somewhere...

“The Great God of the Island would not like this as gift.” he explained. “A very old legend says that, when the ships of the colonisers arrived to this island for the first time, their leader, grateful for having escaped the perils of a tempest, offered his bough of return to the Lady and forgot to honour Melkor. Angry at this oversight, the Great God caused an earthquake, threatening to sink the island under the waters. “He made a pause to eat a bite, then continued. “A woman that came with the expedition immediately had a fire built, and offered to throw herself into the flames to appease Melkor´s anger. She would have perished if it had not been for the Lady, who does not forget those who honour her. When she saw the fire, she unleashed a storm and quenched it as many times as they tried to lit it anew. Thankful at her intervention, the woman´s family had five of those silver boughs made. They were distant ancestors of mine.”

Fascinated in spite of herself, Zarhil stared at the bough with a frown.

“And this is one of those?”

“A family heirloom, yes. I would gratefully sell it to a noble lady such as you.” At the other side of the table Malko, who had heard this, rolled his eyes. “But it would never do as an offering for the God of the Island.”

Zarhil shook her head. Maybe he was lying – and still, if there was an ounce of truth in his story, she had found the best present for her beloved Goddess.

“I will buy it, and offer it to the Sacred Cave tomorrow. I have a deep devotion for the Lady.” she added, in a lower tone. Magon´s features creased into a smile –the golden tinge had never been so evident in them as now.

“Of course, there is no need for you to pay now, my lady. My associates will have it from your family on their next trip to Númenor, or however it might be more comfortable for the Lord Zarhâd of Soronthil.”

Zarhil shook her head. His father had told her that those people loved to have illustrious names on the list of their debitors –for them, it was a form of prestige.

“There is gold on my ship. I will pay you tomorrow, when yor men come to get the sample of oil that I promised you”, she established firmly. In some disappointment, he nodded, and ordered the servants to leave with both the chosen and discarded items.

At the other side of the table, meanwhile, the conversation had shifted towards the topic of an impending official declaration of war against the desert tribes near Umbar. Himilkar had changed his seat for the couch that lay next to Malko and Abdeshmoun, and Magon´s sister was resting her head against his shoulder. Her curly brown hair fell down her back, mingled with some paler locks that looked like the effect of some outlandish dye.

Only Azzibal remained with them, savouring a dish of raw oysters with lemon.

“Do you find them to your liking?” Iolid, always the perfect hostess, inquired. The Sorian nodded as he chewed.

“I had not tasted something as good since... well, at least since I stayed at the palace of King Xaris three years ago.”

Iolid and her husband exchanged ominous glances at this. Xaris was the leader of the barbarians of Belfalas, who had achieved a commendable degree of civilisation from their centuries of contact with the Númenoreans. Before Zarhil had had time to realise what was going on, Magon stood up, and gestured to the servants.

“Bring the sturgeon eggs and the sauce!”

Azzibal snorted, taking another oyster.

“Those brave islanders! In their infinite wisdom, their ancestors passed a law restricting the height of towers – if not, they would still be measuring the work of the others and adding inch after inch until they reached the sky!”

“Oh, years ago, there was that tree competition.” Iolid said, sharing in the joke good-naturedly. “They brought trees of all kinds and places to the squares and gardens of Gadir, from the uttermost East and South. Few of those took root- a real pity.”

“Ah, I remember.” Azzibal nodded. “The most celebrated were those giant trees that came from an island in the Far South. By the way, Magon, which one did you bring?”

Magon shook his head in affected disdain.

“I was deep in talks to bring the White Tree of Armenelos to the gardens of Gadir.”

Zarhil stared at him, astonished, but her shock subsided when she saw Iolid and Azzibal begin to laugh. Still, some puzzlement remained there, refusing to die –one could never know how much of what those slippery people said was intended as a joke.

“Always the ambitious Magon of Gadir.” Azzibal muttered, fondly.

In the other conversation, the tone had been raised, as all three men heartily agreed that a war against the desert tribes was the worst idea that the King could have had at that very moment.

“Now that we were attempting to restore the trade, they want to scare our customers away! We cannot tolerate this!” the Umbarian exclaimed. Himilkar shook his head.

“Indeed, we cannot tolerate this.”

Magon took an oyster from Azzibal´s dish, and smiled.

“Then, our weapons industry will suffer from an unprecedented crisis this year. Deal?”

Somewhat placated. Abdeshmoun raised his glass.

“Deal. But keep your promises this time, Magon.”

Vaguely aware of what had just taken place in front of her, Zarhil´s face went pale, and she fixed her glance on the half-empty cup that lay upon her lap.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“I cannot stand those people. I cannot! Their very deference is arrogant. Did you hear them ... striking bargains to sabotage the King´s policies?”

Malko shook his head noncomittally, as if her words were nothing but the ramblings of a drunkard. This made her even more furious: it was true that she had drunk a little more than what she should, but he was the one who was having difficulties trying to walk back to his rooms in a straight line.

“Now, what do you say?”

He shrugged.

“They are arrogant, that much is true. But they are powerful, and that is true as well. So frighteningly fuckingly powerful. “He shook his head, watching the lights of the coutryard from the corridor windows. “The greatest of lords has no authority beyond the boundaries of his vast lands. But those... those merchants, those people, who do not own an inch of land, rule over the seas and control the trade of whole realms, many of which we do not even know about. Who would put a boundary to this?”

Zarhil shivered, whether because of the cold or the disgust, she was not sure.

“Stop... talking in this strain. You are wrecking my resolve to go back to Númenor, if it will be to marry one of them!”

“What?” Slowly, the impact of the news triggered a reaction on Malko´s alcohol-abused mind. His lips began to curve into a smile. “So it was true...”

Zarhil blushed to the roots of her hair. The wine had made her careless.

“I know of no other possible reason why my family would send ships all the way across the Great Sea to summon me back.” she grumbled. “And just congratulate me, and I will have you thrown overboard at the exact middle point of our return journey. The noblest families of Númenor do not want me, and I have no idea which kind of ambitious commoner will settle for an ugly, eccentric... and maybe even barren woman.”

“You are lovely to my eyes.” he muttered, after weathering the storm with the blissful level of calm that only wine could bring. Zarhil kicked him on the shin, and turned away with a huff.

“You disgusting flatterer! “ she hissed. But then she seemed to relent, and sighed. “I knew I would have to marry one day. That I could not remain like this forever, whatever the choice. But to see those people today... I do not want to be a high-born trophy for any of them!”

Malko shook his head, kneeling to rub his leg on the spot where she had kicked him. In Zarhil´s current state, even his silence was infuriating.

“Go and sleep it off.” she growled.

Before she could leave definitely for her chambers, however, he heard his voice behind her again.

“You are an extraordinary woman. And you will not be a trophy for any man –that much I know.”

Zarhil turned back to stare at him, searching for signs of mockery in his tone. Finding none that would give her an excuse to yell at him, she took off at a brisk pace, and started muttering things under her teeth.

Extraordinary- indeed.

That night, she dreamed that she was in the Palace of Armenelos, singing the song about Gimilzôr´s love life. Outraged at her irreverence, the priests tied her up, and conjured the fire of Melkor to fall upon her. She was afraid and desperately prayed to the Lady for deliverance, but there were no signs of rain in the sky.

Finally, it was Magon and his associates who poured basin after basin of water over her until she was delivered from the flames, and then he asked for her hand in return.

 

 

(to be continued)

 


Chapter End Notes

(1) I know that there is a lot of explaining due here. Unfortunately, not all things can be given away just yet.

First, as to why the name Pelargir has been temporally changed- the reason will be eventually given.

Second –and more important-.as to why its location is different (after reading this chapter, the knowledgeable in Middle Earth cartography will have recognised it as the later island of Tolfalas), it will also be an issue later. I can only promise that both things will be explained, justified and solved, and that it will be according to canon. I hope.

A Wedding of Importance

Read A Wedding of Importance

She was waiting for him on a low seat, staring through the window with an unreadable look. Her black hair was firmly braided over her head, yet there were some rebellious strands bristling behind her ears. She had darker skin than anyone of the line of Elros that he had ever met, marinaded and hardened through long years by the sun and the sea winds.

When his footsteps alerted her of his presence, she seemed to come back from her musings with a blink, and promptly stood up to greet him. Inziladûn thought at first that she was frowning, then realised that her forehead had a conspicuous wrinkle in the space between the eyes. From staring into the horizon for prolonged amounts of time, he guessed, remembering all the rumours.

“My lord Inziladûn.” she bowed. Her voice was deep, and also somewhat hoarse. Inziladûn answered her greeting with perfect politeness, and studied her closer.

As he had feared, though a stubborn part of himself had still dared to hope, there was not a single thing in common between this woman and his cherished memories of Artanis, with her soft skin and quiet grace. This woman was plain, uncomfortable in her green and golden velvet dress. She had a harsh face with marked lines, and grey eyes that stared at him without love.

“I am pleased to meet you at last.” he said, forcing his voice to sound sincere. “Sit down, if you wish.”

The woman sat down, asessing him sharply at the same time. Inziladûn followed her example, choosing a chair that was next to her own seat. He felt a brief current of hostility coming from her, and blinked.

As if his dismay had not escaped her attention, her lips curved into an exaggeratedly pleasant smile.

“This is not the first time that we meet.” she corrected, and a nervous chuckle escaped her throat. “On the day of your public consecration, I held you in my arms. You yanked at my hair very hard, and I told my mother that it was just as well that I did not have children, since they did not seem to like me very much. “A frown of thoughtfulness creased her forehead even further for a moment. “I am not very likeable.”

Inziladûn swallowed, appalled. Either her hostility towards him was too strong to bother with pretence, or she was the least diplomatic person that he had ever met.

As he looked at her hair, he realised that there was already a tinge of silver on one of the sides of her head. Unbidden thoughts haunted his mind, and he was forced to remember that this woman was older than his mother.

“You are uncomfortable.” she suddenly threw at him, without bothering to turn it into a question.

He shook his head in silence. What had his father been thinking about?

“The lady Zarhil is the daughter of Zarhâd of Forostar, descendant of King Anárion, and a lady of many merits.” Gimilzôr said, guessing the displeasure under his son´s briefly shaken mask. Inziladûn barely had time to swallow before the words came to his mouth in a rush.

“But...”

“Contrary to what you might think, this is a gift.” Gimilzôr interrupted him. “I hold this lady in the greatest esteem since even before you were born, and I deem her the only woman in Númenor who might have enough resilience to manage your family.” Giving his son a pointed look, he frowned in advertence. “Fail to make her happy, and I swear to you that I will not be as lenient as that spineless king Meneldur.”

For a second, Inziladûn was tempted to ask him if he was supposed to treat her like Gimilzôr had treated Inzilbêth. Fortunately, he managed to swallow the dangerous words in time, and silently bowed to leave.

“I...” he began, searching for one of those uncompromising sentences that could be recited flawlessly in awkward moments. But while he had never been at loss for words in interviews with princes of the realm, priests, courtiers and even Merchant Princes, he felt incapable to recall them now in this woman´s presence.

His future Queen.

“Nice weather, isn´t it?” she said, with a pointed look.

Inzuladûn knew that he was being ridiculed. Repressing a growing exasperation, he forgot all ceremonies, and stared at her hard. She seemed a bit surprised at his sudden action, yet withstood his glance like she would have withstood the sunrays upon the prow of her ship.

As he had partly guessed, there was a great irritation boiling inside her. She had been taken away from ship and seas, and travels to distant lands. Without telling her beforehand, her family had betrothed her to a much younger man with a reputation for all sorts of unnatural behaviour.

Then, the obvious dawned upon him, and his anger would have dissolved in an impulse to laugh at the situation if it had not been so serious for both of them. Because, in fact, their irritation was of an exactly identical nature.

He coughed several times, in order to clear his throat.

“If you would be so kind as to listen to me for a moment.” he began. Her eyes narrowed, and he realised that he had her attention. “We have been both forced to renounce to our pursuits. We have never seen each other in our lives. And this ignorance of ours has been seasoned with quite... interesting stories about our respective selves, I will dare to presume.” Her stare turned to sheer incredulity, and he felt encouraged.” Because of this, we are feeling angry at each other, and naturally so. And yet, I may propose another way to deal with this.”

“Another... way to deal with this?”

“Indeed. None of us decided this marriage, and therefore none of us is to blame. We could be friends and allies to each other, and direct our discontent towards our noble families, who decided to put us through this situation.”

Zarhil´s eyes had widened in shock, and for a moment she studied him as if he had gone mad. Inziladûn felt incommodated, wondering if he might have simply confirmed her fears about his sanity.

As he was about to open his mouth again, though, the tension contracted her features, and exploded in a powerful laugh. The man stared in fascination as she almost doubled over from unleashed mirth, until she sobered up and raised a reddened face to meet his.

“That was... well, an unusual betrothal speech.” she gasped, letting her glance trail over him in a newfound admiration. “So... it is true that you see into the hearts of people!”

“So they say.” he muttered, uncomfortable as whenever this topic was breached in his presence.

Still, in another recess of his brain, her sudden change of mind about him heartened him a little. She accepted his logic. Maybe things could be... manouevred into some sort of comfortable arrangement, after all.

“You are right, they told me you were strange. The son of the King, who has the eyes of an Elf and the beard of a barbarian,”she quoted, with a more comfortable smile. He smiled, too, darkly amused at the comparison.

“And I heard of an Elf-woman who wanes and dies if she spends a month ashore.” he retaliated. Just as the words left his mouth, however, her features were suddenly clouded by a veil of melancholy. He cursed.

“I am sorry.” he offered. “We... could travel to the seaside, from time to time, if duty allows.”

She shook her head, and made a sharp gesture of denial with her hand.

“You should not mind me.” she grumbled, closing her eyes only to open them again with a sigh. “I am past eighty already. My years of freedom have been fulfilling, and I have enjoyed them for a longer time than you did. If someone has to apologise, it should be me.”

For a while, both of them just sat there, in a decidedly bleak silence. Then, Inziladûn shook himself out from his reverie, and made an attempt to lighten up the mood.

“But we are talking as if this we are facing was a death sentence! Our married life will surely not be as terrible as Eternal Darkness, though it might be close enough at times. And I am not going to shave.” he added jokingly.

Zarhil smiled a little.

“And I am not going to dye my grey hairs, though my mother already suggested it. Each of them was well-earned, indeed.” she replied in the same vein. “As for the beard, to shave on a ship is unheard-of for most sailors, and yours at least is better kept.”

“I see.” he nodded, amused. So she had a sense of humour, too.  “Things could always be worse.”

“Like they say when you get caught up in a storm and then someone finds a leak.”

Inziladûn stared at her, remembering the things he had heard about this woman since he was a child.

“You must have many tales to tell.” he assumed, in a tone that, for the first time in the whole exchange, contained a vague admiration. She creased her features in a gesture of dubious meaning.

“I suppose. I have done some... odd things.”

He snorted.

“And my father said that you would supply our marriage with common sense!”

“Did he?” She looked genuinely surprised, and maybe a little flattered. “The Prince is too kind.”

“He likes you.”

Zarhil mulled this over for a moment. Standing up, she paced towards the window, and became absorbed in the view of the Blue gardens.

“I would have needed to guess as much.” she said, after a long pause. Her voice was strangely regretful. “You know that I may... well, that old saying about my family.”

Surprised, Inziladûn looked up.

“What?”

The woman seemed to notice his shock, and tensed. The ease that they had been building for the past minutes dissolved in a rush, and she turned back with a blush.

“You have never heard?”

Inziladûn shook his head in denial, his alarm growing by moments.

“The women of the Northern line do not bear sons. “She seemed pained at her own words, as if she was going to be shamed for them. “People like to say that those things are nothing but superstitions... and still....”

The man stared at the ivory table in front of him, refusing to look at her as he forced himself to put his thoughts in order. The first idea that came to his mind was that Gimilzôr had to be aware of that saying. The second was that his plan was probably to have Gimilkhâd succeed him by depriving him of heirs, and thus make sure from an early date that his elder son´s dangerous influence would not last.

The third was that he did not believe in superstitions.

“Nobody can know that about a woman.” he said, meanwhile, in an attempt to ease her discomfort. How could she have imagined that his father would forget to tell him about such a thing?

“Many people believe they do.” she muttered. He shook his head in dismissal.

How much worth could a superstition have, anyway? His father was one to believe in all those things with unquestionable faith –superstitions, prophecies, visions. Inziladûn had been visited by those powers from a very young age, and could make more sense of them than most. He knew when they were real, and when they were nothing but the effects of an imagination run wild. And would Eru suffer Inziladûn´s heartfelt attempts to have Númenor regain its purity to be foiled in such a crude fashion?

He bit his lip, full of a warm, renewed defiance. For a moment, he remembered Gimilkhâd´s expression as he handed the incriminating note to him, and refused, against all the expectations that his father had held since the day of his birth, to bring ruin upon their kin of the West.

He would not be defeated that way.

“I do not.” he said to her. Invitingly, he stretched his right hand, and she stared at it for a while before advancing several steps. “And my father, who is a wiser man than most, did not even think twice about such a superstition.”

Zarhil´s hand finally touched his. It shocked him at first how hard it felt from its calluses, a little like tanned leather.

“I do not know.” she sighed. Her eyes met his, and brightened up somewhat. “But thanks for encouraging me.”

He arched an eyebrow, softly pressing her fingers to explore the new feeling.

“I was also encouraging myself.” he added flippantly, before quickly changing subject. “Now, would you care to take a walk through the gardens? I think it will be - expected of our first meeting.”

Without further ado, she gave a step backwards, and helped him to get up with a pull. He saw the lean yet strong muscles of her arms, and, once again, blinked.

“Let us go, then.” she nodded.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

For the next years, Inziladûn set his mind to discover and list all of Zarhil´s good traits. She was a strong woman, an adventurous sailor in a family of warriors. The magnificence of the Palace of Armenelos and the flattery of the courtiers meant little to her, and she felt uncomfortable with the ostentatious displays of Gimilzôr´s court- in which she was of like mind to Inziladûn himself.

Another thing that he discovered was that all her forwardness hid a rather shy core, and that she did not like interacting with people. Both at home and in Armenelos, she had no friends other than the men she took in her ship. Once that he earned her trust from assiduity, however, it struck him that she was a friendly companion, and an excellent storyteller. Many of their afternoons together were spent with Inziladûn listening in quiet awe to fantastical tales about floating islands of ice, strange animals that ran over the water or followed ships with open, hungry jaws, and fire mountains that spat frozen lava.

In those ocassions he would look at her, and she would suddenly appear different to him; a creature of legend, a hero of tales like the king Aldarion son of Meneldur. And then, even the pronounced wrinkles in her forehead, the hardness of her skin, the dark colour of her face and the shadow of silver in her hair would gain a new meaning, and seem beautiful.

There were other, less pleasant things to take in account as well. In spite of her efforts, Zarhil could not hide her dislike for the gilded prison of Armenelos where she would have to spend her life, and some part of Inziladûn could not help wondering how long it would take for her to resent him for it. Her difficulties to adapt to court life were much greater than those of Inziladûn himself. Seeing how she reacted to her new duties, he realised for the first time that his own shortcomings in that field had stemmed mainly from his own wilfulness, and not from any real incapacity. And the courtiers did not forgive breaches of protocol, so soon the whole Palace was swarming with witticisms, jokes and rhymes about their shocking new Princess.

All this, however, was not as worrying to Inziladûn´s mind as other things that escaped public notice. For example, there was Zarhil´s deep devotion to the Queen of the Seas, who had saved her from so many dangers. His indifference on this matter hurt her, and he foresaw greater complications when he became King –or when they had children.

He tried not to think of Artanis, though she was often in his thoughts. In spite of the fact that he had grown to like Zarhil, there were times when he could not prevent himself from comparing her natural grace to Zarhil´s clumsiness, the soft ripple of laughter that came from her throat to the other woman´s raspy chuckles. He remembered the warmth of her embrace, that morning when his mind had been tangled in cold conflict, and how she had always read in his mind, with the mysterious power of an Elf, what she needed to say or do to give him comfort.

He remembered the first night when she had seen her, the billows of her white dress flying with the breeze as she walked under the trees of malinornë, like Lúthien in the forests of Doriath. And then, her last tears as she left him alone, under the same trees, her heart broken in exquisite silence.

She knew that we could not have possibly married, he said to himself, trying to banish her from his mind and focus on the woman that his father had chosen. And yet, in his most unguarded moments she still haunted him, when he lay on his bed awake or deep in the world of dreams.

Two years after they had met, sitting on the grass of his own garden with a mountain of fig peelings between them, Inziladûn asked Zarhil to marry him. She stared at her incredulously and laughed –the right answer to his involvement in this long farce of their betrothal.

Gimilzôr took the news very favourably. It puzzled Inziladûn to see how Zarhil affected even the usual coldness of his father towards him. Back when he had told him that he held the lady in great esteem, he had thought it nothing but another element of his father´s elaborate revenge against his wayward son, but in time he had come to have the distinct feeling that Gimilzôr had spoken the truth at least in this. With a slightly warmer glint in his dark eyes, he ruled that the wedding would take place in early summer, in the Palace of Armenelos, and that the celebration would reach all Númenor and the Middle-Earth colonies.

As the day of the wedding drew near, the streets of Armenelos were set with the most colourful hangings. People crowded the streets from the North Residence to the Palace hill, eager to catch a glimpse of the bridal entourage and fighting for an advantageous place before the royal gates, where they could see the entrance of the new Princess and get themselves a good helping at the various food and wine distributions.

Covered by her red veil, Zarhil´s face could not be seen, but Inziladûn was able to perceive the tension in her erect back and high chin. As was custom, the priests of Melkor took her away from the priests of Ashtarte-Uinen that came in her entourage and dragged her across the threshold. Then, both drank from the same goblet of consecrated wine under the eyes of the gods and the King, and the feast began in the main hall.

Preparations for the banquet had lasted more than a month, with the clear purpose of turning this event into a milestone for royal magnificence. The dishes were served on silverware from the factories of Gadir, and seasoned with Umbar spices. Meat of eight different kinds had been brought from the plains of Hyarnustar, while the fruit belonged to the King´s own gardens south of the Forbidden Bay. There were also great quantities of wine with honey, and the best musicians, singers and dancers of the capital entertained the guests with various performances.

Inziladûn watched all this at his father´s side, away from the raised voices, the laughter and the merriment. He was not fond of feasting; he had few friends among the guests and none he could freely speak to. Artanis had not come: someone had needed to stay in Andúnië while the rest of her family was here, and she had offered to do so herself.

From the corner of his eye, he realised that Gimilzôr had finished his little conversation with the King, and was now walking towards him. At once, he discarded his musings and prepared himself to be addressed, but instead of that his father stopped in his tracks and stared at some point of the hall with a pensive frown.

Following his glance in some curiosity, Inziladûn saw his bride sitting on a chair. She was still tense, and busy at yanking the long ends of her red veil away from the two little daughters of her brother Zakarbal, who ran in laughing circles around her.

“You should summon her.” Gimilzôr said. Inziladûn suppressed his surprise carefully, and nodded.

“I will.” he replied.

Before his father could begin organising the chain of messengers that would reach her, he bowed quickly, and downstairs he went. The courtiers who waited there bowed to him, with the good reflexes that they had acquired from fifty years of his oddities.

In the first table, Gimilkhâd was drinking with a few friends, and raised the jar to him when he saw him approach.

“Ha, Inziladûn!” he called ”Here, have a glass for yourself before you retire for the night! You will certainly need it- won´t he?”

The other men smiled a bit sheepishly, then laughed a little louder as his boldness encouraged them. Inziladûn passed them by, not deigning to pay them any heed.

Since that fatidical night, two years ago, his younger brother had known several phases. At first he had avoided him as much as he could, but after a while his exuberance had returned, louder and wittier than ever. Inziladûn was always the target of his jokes, and his older brother was quite sure that he could claim autorship of a good half of the rhymes about his wife.

And yet, he never saw him alone anymore. Friends and courtiers surrounded him, like a warrior´s trained escort.

Númendil and his betrothed, Emeldir, were watching the starlit gardens from a terrace. Inziladûn shook his head and left them to their privacy, wondering if those two would ever marry. The strong Elven blood of Númendil seemed to have frozen his maturity to a mysterious halt, and the lady was something between his friend and the object of his quiet adoration.

Not that he could say anything different from the women of his own life, Inziladûn reminded himself then, but his thoughts stopped abruptly when he found himself face to face with Valandil.

“Allow me to offer my most sincere congratulations on the auspicious event of your wedding day, my lord.” the older man recited with a deep bow. Inziladûn nodded, incommodated.

“I am sorry. I would... apologise to her if I could.” he whispered, almost between clenched teeth. Valandil rose, and stared at him lengthly with undecipherable eyes.

“You do not have to, my lord. “he finally said. For a moment, it seemed as if he was going to say something else, but then he shook his head and offered him a smile of encouragement. “One day, everything will change.”

Inziladûn nodded again, and continued his walk through the hall. Nearby, he spotted Eärendur with his daughter-in-law, talking among themselves. He gave them a mere nod, not wishing his father to grow suspicious.

Everything would change. Alas, for her it would be too late then.

Zarhil´s family gave him a warm welcome. The lords of Soronthil had not married into the royal family for centuries, since the alliances with the North had not been favoured by the lineage of Ar-Adunakhôr. This lord of Soronthil, moreover, had despaired long ago of finding a husband for his strange daughter, so the marriage had been, for him, the crowning bliss of a long life of service and few favours. No matter what people whispered about his oddities, Inziladûn had promptly become the object of his most sincere devotion and gratitude –gratitude that, the Prince´s heir could not help but think one more time as he was pulled into a world of bows, compliments, congratulations and offers, would properly belong to Gimilzôr. But his father, working and planning in the shadows and standing at a great, elevated distance even as he drank wine in his son´s wedding feast, did not encourage many warm feelings.

When he finally reached her, Zarhil was hissing at the smallest of her two nieces, a plump-faced girl of about four who had somehow managed to get the veil tangled all over her legs.

“Of all the little pests in the world, you are the very worst! Now, go to your mother at this very instant and be good and quiet or I swear...!”

Her scolding was brusquely interrupted as she became aware of Inziladûn´s presence in front of her. The girls also stopped wiggling and stared at him in wide-eyed awe.

“Who are you?” the elder of them inquired. Zarhil shook her head with a snort, and began to arrange the dishevelled veil over her lap again.

Inziladûn stared back at her, mystified. It was the first time he was confronted by someone who was young enough not to care for manners.

“I am the husband of the lady Zarhil.” he replied carefully, after a moment of thought. The face of the younger of the girls was immediately scrunched up in an expression of horror.

“Aunt, did you marry a man with hair on his face?”

Inziladûn froze. The older of the two girls elbowed her sister and hissed that she was not being nice.

Zarhil´s bad mood dissolved in a fit of hilarity.

“Go back to your mother now.” she told the girls. She was still shaking from suppressed mirth even as she shooed them away. “If you behave yourselves, I will not tell her what has been said here.”

The daughters of Zakarbal nodded, and reluctantly took away, whispering amongst themselves. Even after they had reached their mother´s side, Inziladûn could see them turn back now and then to steal curious looks at him.

“That was very funny.” Zarhil said. Inziladûn nodded in silence.

“Are we going to... retire already?” she asked after a while. There was a brief hesitation in her voice as she said those words, but under the thick red folds, Inziladûn could not detect if it was nervousness or a simply inquiring tone.

“I do not like partying very much.” he confessed, with a soft sigh. Under the King´s throne, six dancers were moving their jewelled arms to the sound of a flute. People around them had begun talking louder, so the music would not overshadow their voices. “And you must be choking under that veil.”

Zarhil shrugged.

“I am. But out there, I do not know what I would have done without it.” she confessed. “I was really nervous, Inziladûn. The whole of Númenor was there... staring at me.”

“And you will grow used to their stares until you even forget that they are there.” he predicted.

“I can still flee this place at night and make it to my ship before the guard finds me.” she threatened, standing up. With a gesture, she signalled him to wait while she bade farewell to her family and listened to their well-meaning advice –a long process, even though they had no plans of leaving overnight-, and readied herself to follow him.

Though Inziladûn took care to avoid the center of the hall, many of the guests, merry from the high-quality wine, still toasted to them and shot their congratulations as they walked towards the stairs of the throne. Predictably, when they could finally bow in front of him, Gimilzôr was furious.

“Did you have to shame yourself and your wife in such a manner on the very evening of your wedding day?” he hissed. Inziladûn lowerd his eyes in contrition.

“I am sorry. I wanted to talk to her family before we retired.”

Already?”

“This veil is choking me, my lord prince.” Zarhil intervened. Gimilzôr´s wrath turned into an almost comical look of surprise, and he turned his attention towards her.

“Is... it?”

Inziladûn blinked. He had never heard his father ask a redundant question before.

“It... has become worse after so many hours.” Zarhil nodded, now in a somewhat lower voice. “If we could retire to the privacy of our chambers...”

Gimilzôr made a hurried gesture to cut her talk. His features softened.

“I understand your plight, daughter. You may go, if you wish.” Then, he turned back to Inziladûn. “Present your respects to the King.”

Inziladûn bowed, taking Zarhil by the hand. She promptly mirrored her gesture, and together, they approached the throne of Ar-Sakalthôr.

The last decades had not been kind to the old man´s appearance. His body had always been thin, but now the bony fingers that held the Sceptre reminded Inziladûn of a skeleton. His face was pale and sunken, and in the middle of it, two huge, alert eyes gleamed with a light that became fell whenever he set them on his elder grandson.

Inziladûn remembered a time when, as a child, he had been brought to his grandfather´s chambers and forced to kneel in front of him. Ar-Sakalthôr had been silent, until the confused child lifted his head and tried to investigate the identity of the dark figure. Then, his grandfather´s face became livid, and he began to move his hands, hissing at him to leave his presence at once. Little Inziladûn, terrified, ran to hide behind his father, who laid a hand on his shoulder and told him to leave while levelling the cause of the child´s fears with a harsh, unintimidated glance.

Back then, Inziladûn had been admired at his father´s bravery. Only later, much later, he had come to understand that, though there was and would always be a current of dark suspicion and visions between the King and his two heirs, Ar-Sakalthôr was in fact the weakest and more frightened of the three.

And more than what he had ever feared Gimilzôr, his grandfather feared him.

“My wife and I ask for your leave to retire, my lord king, favourite of Melkor, protector of Númenor and guardian of the colonies.” he recited, kneeling and bowing in front of the throne. Zarhil knelt too, again as tense as she had been during the ceremony and a good part of the feast. She had only seen Ar-Sakalthôr in a few official or religious circumstances before, but the tales she had heard about the recluse sovereign were obviously weighing on her mind.

This time, however, the King seemed oddly subdued, maybe under the effects of the wine. Mumbling something, he leaned back and took a large sip of his cup.

“Leave.” he ordered more than acquiesced, in a cutting tone. Inziladûn bowed again, and stood up together with Zarhil. As they reached the door, a brief silence fell upon the hall, and the guests bowed to them.

Finally alone in the deserted corridor, where the sounds of the accursed feast only arrived in distant, distorted waves, Inziladûn yanked his wife´s cover away from her head. Drops of sweat glistened over her forehead, but her lips curved in a tired smile as, finally, they were allowed to look at each other.

“Thank you.” she beamed, combing her dishevelled hair with one hand.

He nodded in silence, and felt a brief flash of childish satisfaction as they walked past the red veil that lay discarded on the floor.

 

The Merchant Princes

Read The Merchant Princes

Once that he was inside her, he stopped for a moment to look at her face. Her eyes were dark with need, and she sought for his hand, which she held in a strong grip.

With a barely undiscernable nod, he began riding her. The pace was slow, but it slowly increased as her gasps became louder and louder.

When it was finished, he carefully disentangled himself and fell at her side, both holding each other close and listening to their hard breathing. Her callused hand moved distractedly towards his shoulder, where it drew random caressing circles.

Inziladûn stared pensively at the painted figurines on the wall.

“Do you already bleed?” he mumbled after a while. Zarhil´s hand froze.

“I do not.” she replied, all her warmth gone. Though she did not pull away, her husband could easily perceive the rigidity in her limbs, and cursed at his poor choice of words.

“I am sure it will come eventually.” he offered, trying to sound hopeful and conciliating.

“And if it does not come?” she asked, refusing to take the cue. He stared at her.

“Zarhil...”

She shook her head violently.

“What about the day when you will be sure that I will not be able to bear your child? Will you come to me anymore? Do you care about the cursed superstition, yes or not?”

Inziladûn did not answer for a moment, as he tried to think of what to do to prevent this situation from escalading further. He had been aware for a while of her mood, which had only been waiting for an opportunity to show and cause a quarrel.

When Zarhil was not happy, when she felt the walls of Armenelos creeping over her and blocking her from her beloved sea, left aside from the comings and goings of the palace or mocked by the courtiers, she always found a pretext to fight. In a question of seconds, it escaladed into a shouting match, and sometimes she would break things.

This pattern had become more and more frequent in the last years, feeding from the feeling of frustration that slowly took hold of both of them because of her unability to conceive. Her impatience grew with his own, and no matter how he tried, he had always proved unable to stop either of them.

“I am the second heir to the throne of Númenor, Zarhil.” he tried to explain in a patient tone, even as the feeling began to take hold on him again. “One day, I will be King, and then I will need my line to continue.”

“Then, why did you marry me?” she shouted, already at the end of her short patience. “I am unsuitable!”

Because my father wanted me to, he thought, seething at the same time at the constraint of his situation.

Had he been too proud when he had laughed the superstition off, so sure that the spirit of absolute perfection who created the world would always take the trouble of helping him against Gimilzôr? Or, a darker thought slithered inside his mind –and not for the first time-, were his Western kinsmen too influenced by the comforting figures of the gods of Men, when they imagined the Maker and his Eldest Creatures as kind beings with human shapes and feelings, who followed them, loved and cared for them?

He remembered the feeling of desolation that ran through him on that night in the temple, when he had known, deep inside, that they could not see him. The lord of Andúnië had later endeavoured to banish that cruel thought from his mind, and he had wanted desperately to believe it, just as he had once wanted desperately to believe in the Mother of All.

The black edge of desperation made him cruel.

“The Creator has probably decreed that I cannot have children with a woman who worships a false goddess.” he accused, sitting on the edge of the bed and laying the dishevelled sheets aside. Zarhil´s eyes widened in incredulous rage. Her hands were trembling as she, too, stood up and sought for her clothes, pacing in circles like a lion in a cage.

“I worship a false goddess? I worship a false goddess? The goddess of your father and your grandfather, and their father and grandfather?” she seethed. “What do you think they would say if they heard you now?”

He stood his ground, unfazed at the threat. Until this day, Zarhil had been absolutely impervious to his attempts to reform her beliefs, but no matter how angry she was at him, she had never denounced his words to his father. She would not do such a thing.

“I must leave you now. I have more important things to do on the morning than fighting a hysterical woman.” he proclaimed, throwing a nightgown over his shoulders and giving her a curt nod. She stared at him, livid.

“Maybe Ashtarte-Uinen has cursed you!”

The shout came from behind his back, as he was about to disappear through the gallery that brought him back to his chambers. Ignoring her with a snort, he kept walking away from her.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

She was only angry at their repeated failures, he thought, as he walked the corridors of the Main Compound an hour later to meet his father. As was he.

Still, able now to examine the situation with a clearer head, he could not help feeling ashamed at their behaviour back in Zarhil´s bedchamber, better suited to barbarians than princes of Númenor. How they had yelled, and hurt each other like children who needed to blame someone for being unable to have their way. And now, he knew, she would refuse to see him again for a long time.

Maybe Ashtarte-Uinen has cursed you!

Could this hold a part of the truth?, he thought, with a wry smile that rather ressembled a grimace. He remembered the popular tales about Aldarion and Erendis, and how according to them he had been cursed by the goddess for sinning against marriage and forsaking his wife. The truth that was hidden behind those words, for the more rational and learned or simply the more matter-of-factly, was that a man who had proved himself unable to love would be bereaved of any love. And if he, Inziladûn, succeeded in driving Zarhil away from him he would be, truly and finally, bereaved of descendence.

Even as he thought this, a part of himself rebelled fiercely. But it was she who had started everything! She was the one who found it so difficult to live with him that she did not waste an opportunity to start a quarrel. Before she had asked that accusing, unfair question everything had been well...

With a deep sigh, he recalled their lovemaking. She had been loving, with the tenderness that shone so rarely in her harsh and weather-beaten countenance. He had felt drawn to her, by a natural, spontaneous impulse and not because she had to give him a son before it was too late. For a moment, he had forgotten –until the demanding claims of duty and reality had shaken him off from this carefree state.

As he was deeply engrossed in his musings, his ears barely registered the sound of footsteps over the stone floor of the corridors. When he turned around the corner, and found himself face to face with a large train of men that walked in the opposite direction, only the barest of reflexes prevented the collision.

Fortunately, he managed to stop and regain his composure in time. Then, summoning his observation skills back from their long lethargy, he studied the men in shocked surprise.

They were very richly dressed, with a magnificent array of silks, silver thread and embroideries that seemed only a step away from becoming gaudy. In spite of the brilliance of Gimilzôr´s court there was nothing of that sort to be found in Númenor, and this, together with the arrogant way in which some of the men stared at him, made Inziladûn come to an unpleasant realisation.

“Stand aside for the great Magon, prince of Gadir!” one of them ordered, in a lofty voice with a heavy accent. Inziladûn froze as he recognised the name, but before he could answer, one of the others put a hand over his companion´s shoulder.

“Do not be so insolent in a place you are not familiar with. You might encounter some... surprises.” he scolded, with a perfect Númenorean accent, Then, he turned towards Inziladûn with a courteous bow. “Hail, Lord Inziladûn, grandson of Ar-Sakalthôr, favourite of Melkor, protector and guardian of Númenor and its colonies!”

Inziladûn nodded, taken aback at the stranger´s easy and correct guess, and stared at him. His cloak was purple like the robes of the Kings, and he wore a gold band upon his head. He had long hair which fell down his back in many different braids held by silver rings, but what fascinated Inziladûn the most was the strange, golden tinge of his skin.

His eyes were a soft brown, oddly caressing and at the same time scrutinising his features in a mixture of reverence and calculation. Inziladûn felt sized up by them, and immediately adopted a closed expression.

He was facing a worthy enemy.

“I am pleased to meet you, Magon of Gadir.” he replied in an even tone. “I was told of your arrival, but some matters are keeping me busy.”

This was a lie, but Inziladûn could not allow anyone to know of his puzzlement at finding those people in Armenelos. In theory, his father should have informed him of their visit, but it had been a long time since Gimilzôr decided to keep his son away from his dealings with the Merchant Princes. His Western kinsmen were unanimous in assessing that this could mean danger to them, but so far the visits had been sparse and in-between.

And never had the first citizen of the ancient Pelargir set a foot on Númenor before.

“We are flattered for this attention, coming from such a noble prince.” Magon said, with another bow. “But regretfully, we are leaving Armenelos this very afternoon.”

Inziladûn took a breath.

“Then, “he replied, making the Hand sign, “I wish you a good travel under the protection of the Queen of the Seas.”

Taking the cue, Magon´s whole retinue bowed to him, and passed him by in a flutter of heavy silks. Inziladûn made semblance of going his own way as well, but after a moment he stopped again on his tracks to stare at their retreating forms with a frown.

What had that man come to Númenor for?

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Will the King sign, then?”

Gimilzôr´s lip curved into a slight grimace, recalling the man´s shining eyes and his insistent expression. Oh, yes, he was very courteous, and soft-spoken. But as he had learned throughout his dealings with lesser men, ambition was such a raw emotion that, in the end, it oozed through the most skilled of masks.

There were also the airs, a servile insolence that came from that cursed city of merchants. He felt a little dirty: none of his predecessors would have received one of them or made dealings with him. But not much, because he knew that there were far more repulsive things, a worse kind of pollution that hid behind a pretence of loyalty perfected through centuries.

The pollution of those who had bereaved him of his wife and son, and would bereave him of his kingdom.

Gimilzôr had learned many things, since that day in which, taken by an ardent wish to be greater than his predecessors and put a definite end to the dangers that assailed the Sceptre, he had defied the council and his newly-proclaimed father by recalling the lord of Andünié. Back then, he had thought that not even Ar-Adunakhôr had known better than him, that nothing could escape his control. That, isolated from their supporters and under the sight of the King, his enemies would not be able to plot treason anymore. He had married their kinswoman to seal the alliance – little could he have imagined that Eärendur would be the one who fooled him in the end!

He had sought to control them through force, while they had wormed their way into his affections. Her beauty had clouded his mind, her son´s bright smile had clouded his heart. Their poison had matured through the years, and in the end, the bloodline of the Kings had been defeated.

Or almost.

Gimilzôr was now an expert in observing, and in waiting. At each year that passed he had become less of a mortal, and more of a reflection of the Divine Melkor, a true King. Inzilbêth had died, Inziladûn had been lost; his heart had shed the last chains.

He was unshakeable. He did not want to regain what he had lost, or have revenge on those who had bereaved him. And therefore, the time had arrived.

Methodically, he pushed the documents until they were at the exact centre of the table, and reread the first. The net´s terrible perfection almost made him smile.

“... and, due to your repeated crimes against Our Majesty, disdaining the sacred links of kinship, fealty, and obligation for past favours, you are commanded to surrender your lands and titles to the King and submit to the custody of  Azzibal of Sor.”

Back when he exiled them, Ar-Adunakhôr had left them their power, their honour, their followers, and freedom of action. Young Gimilzôr, seeking to control them, had allowed them into the inviolable circle of the King´s palace. But now, there would be nothing left to them as they withered in closed chambers in the very centre of the mighty city of Adunakhôr, under the vigilance of the closest client of Magon of Gadir. It was not the King they would have to contend with, but the lust for revenge and power of a class who had collided with them in the past because of their overseas interests, and whom they had despised, relegated and wronged without hope of retaliation. When trade with Elves was forbidden, and the Western line was exiled for the first time, the annals said that there had been long and magnificent festivities in Gadir.

The Merchant Princes were men like the others, this he had quickly understood as he dealt with them. They ate and bled, worshipped the gods and loved their women. And yet, among all their affections, it was the desire of riches what truly governed their souls. Riches gave them social status and preeminence among their peers, and ultimately, power over the nobles who held them in contempt yet needed their money to meet the requirements of Court life. Riches were their lands, honours, and titles.

And that was why they would ally themselves with him. They would freely do the dirty work of the Sceptre that destroyed their ancient competitors, offered them monopolies, provided them with armies to subdue the tribes that threatened their exploitation of the silver mines and their dealings with the natives. And they would do it for the sake of Melkor and Armenelos, and above all for the sake of Gimilzôr, the first prince who, against the scandal of his ancestors, had been their friend.

And today, he thought as he leafed slowly through a copy of the second, unread document, our alliance will finally be sealed.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps behind the door of his study took him away from his musings. He raised his head,  and pushed the papers away.

“Yes?” he demanded. A soft voice answered him.

“Your son is here, my lord prince.”

Gimilzôr frowned. In his mind, for a moment, he had a vision of those grey eyes, trying to pry out his secrets for the benefit of his father´s enemies. A feeling that he had discarded a long time ago clenched his insides; he tried to dismiss it as a brief attack of nausea.

“I will not see him.” he replied, standing up from his chair.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He did not stop for a moment on the threshold of the chambers. With a decided stride he passed between the guards, who stood back with a reverential bow, and ordered them to leave. The ivory table was in the usual state of disorder; he sought it with his glance, only to find the paper in the same place where he had left it the day before.

Frowning in anger, he picked it up for inspection. It was still unsigned.

“Where is the King?” he asked to a courtier who had arrived to receive him. The man lowered his head.

“In... in the gardens, my lord prince.”

Gimilzôr took the paper between two fingers, and immediately headed towards that direction. The door of the terrace was obstructed by three other courtiers, who were carefully cleaning radishes and putting them in boxes. When they saw him looming over them, they were so startled that one of them dropped the armful of vegetables that he was carrying.

Without paying the slightest attention to his fumbling, the Prince walked among them. The King was at the left side of the garden, kneeling between two bushes. He had just cut an especially fine radish, and was in the process of cleaning it with his hand and showing it delightedly to a lady who had rolled up the sleeves of her dress to help him in his endeavours.

Her laughter was quenched as soon as she felt him approach.

“Prince Gimilzôr.” she welcomed him with a bow.

“Leave.”

In a distinctly reluctant manner, she bowed and left with a lingering look at both of them. The King looked warily at him.

“What do you want?”

Gimilzôr did not waste much time with greetings. He simply produced the paper, and showed it to him.

“You forgot to sign this.”

The old man hesitated for a moment, then turned his attention back to his radish with an uneasy look that reminded of a young boy being scolded. For a while, he kept dusting it in silence, playing with the edges of Gimilzôr´s patience.

“I am sure that these radishes should leave you even a moment to sign an important document.” his son continued in a forced light tone. “Accompany me now, please.”

The King shook his head.

“No.” he muttered, sullenly.

Gimilzôr took a sharp breath. He had no time for the old fool´s childishness.

“What do you mean, no?”

For a moment, he thought that Ar-Sakalthôr would refuse to answer. As he was already opening his mouth again, however, the king laid down his precious root with an expression of regret, and gave him a baleful look.

“I do not want to sign that document, and I will not.” he spoke, defiantly. “I do not like its contents.”

“My King, it is a necessary move. It will support our policies well, and bring us great aid in the future. In exchange for having our aid to secure his influence over a territory which is even smaller than Armenelos, we will have the key to the loyalty of the Merchant Princes and all the rich merchants of Númenor.”

“To start with, she is three years old! Who knows if she is still... breastfeeding, or something of the sort? This is ridiculous!”

“The marriage will not take place until she is old enough.”

“Oh, yes, once she has had the time to bed the whole of the male population of her accursed city!” Ar-Sakalthôr snorted. “Child of the Mother”, the text says. Or you think, perchance, that I have forgotten how to read?”

Gimilzôr shook his head mechanically.

“The Goddess saved her life when she was born, and she was consecrated to her in exchange. If she does not receive her due, she will take it with her own hands.” he explained. “But this does not matter to us.”

“It matters to me!” The King´s voice raised to a shrill, complaining tone. “I care for my grandson and for my bloodline! I will not stand aside while this- this dreadful alliance with an unholy, polluted kin takes place, or allow an overseas merchant to rule Númenor at will! Think of what your ancestors would have said!”

Gimilzôr put the paper down with a sharp noise.

“And what would you have me do?” he asked, raising his voice. “I am taking the appropriate steps to assure the survival of our kingdom. That - bloodline of yours is hanging from a thread, and it is not a very reassuring one. As you very well know, my elder son has been corrupted into an Elf-friend by the Western snakes, and he will not have heirs!”

“And whose fault was that?”

For a moment, Gimilzôr stared at the King, livid. Then, he advanced on him, and saw a shadow of fear pass through the eyes of Ar-Sakalthor as he instinctively retreated.

“If you had done your duty, I would not have needed to make all those decisions! If you had ruled Númenor as King, an inexperienced prince would never have been forced to carry the burden alone!” With the corner of his eye, he noticed a stir among the courtiers who were still at the terrace, barely twenty metres away from them, and made them a sharp signal to leave. Their prompt obedience seemed to bring even more uneasiness to the huddled figure of the King.

“And now, you will sign this if you do not want your wretched life to become even more wretched!” Gimilzôr hissed menacingly. Ar-Sakalthôr lowered his eyes, and stared hard at his thin, trembling fingers.

When the Prince turned away in the direction of the porch, he followed him meekly, and sat down on the low table dusting his hands in a thorough, methodical way.

“Here.” Gimilzôr muttered, handing him the quill. Ar-Sakalthôr took it and stared at the text with a forlorn expression.

When he made the signature, his hand was trembling. Gimilzôr sought his features in shock, and realised that the old man was crying. He gave a sigh.

It was pitiful. No king should act like this.

“You treat me like I was the most despicable of mortals.” Ar-Sakalthôr sobbed. “You hate me, but once I took care of you. You- you have forgotten how I took care of you. You were such a small child once... not taller than my knee...”

Gimilzôr turned away in dismay. In spite of his endeavours to harden himself and expel from his mind the notion that this pitiful being was his father, he still felt his heart sink, torn between pity and revulsion.

It should not be like this. He should not be forced to bring misery upon this man who had enough misfortunes with his own troubled mind, not even for the sake of Númenor. But so he had felt about his wife and son, and in the end those thoughts would always bring him nowhere.

He was the King.

As he left the chambers, he found himself face to face with the lady who had been digging radishes with Ar-Sakalthôr. She made an attempt to leave his presence with nothing but a mumbled greeting, but he stopped in his tracks and forced her to do the same.

“Look after him.” he ordered.

Furrowing her brow in barely concealed disgust, she bowed and took her leave.

 

*     *     *     *      *

 

The summer of that year, right after taking his grandfather´s place at the wedding feast of Númendil and Emeldir, Inziladûn asked his father for leave to visit his wife´s kin in Sorontil. When Zarhil knew of this plan, her morose mood vanished completely, giving way to a frenzied excitement. She appointed herself his guide, and forgot their differences  for a while in her determination to show him the land of her birth to the last stone.

Forrostar was not the fairest land in Númenor, or the most pleasant to live in. For the most part it was covered in mountains of bare rock, where only goats and their shepherds dared to venture. Stormclouds gathered on their peaks, covering the skies in a melancholy mass of grey for the whole month of their stay. A humid cold seeped through the very bones of the visitors even in the warmest guest chambers of the windswept house of the lord of Sorontil, and yet Inziladûn found that he liked this house, and the land, well enough.

Zarhil had said once that the Northern breeze came directly from the Sea to the peak of Sorontil, clean and new, and unspoiled by the lazy warmth of the air of Mittalmar. He had to agree with her in that there was a strange invigorating quality to it, a purity which did not reach other parts of Númenor that lay enclosed between walls and shady corridors.

But, what was even more precious to him was that this land meant freedom. Zakarbal, his wife´s brother, paid no mind to Gimilzôr´s protocol in his father´s lands, and both Inziladûn and Zarhil were allowed to ride alone wherever they wished, undisturbed by the peasants who stared at them in faint curiosity before going back to their business. It meant lack, almost abhorrence of ostentation – a family of seamen and warriors, the lords of Sorontil had always prided themselves in keeping a modest household. All the magnificence they allowed around themselves had been bestowed upon their Armenelos residence, out of policy and constraint, and even this had been financed by the Númenorean associates of the Merchant Princes, in whose debt Zarhâd, to his great displeasure, stayed even now.

Zarhil made good of her promise to show him everything there was to see in the land. It clearly thrilled her to visit her family´s house and to ride the open plains again, and Inziladûn was glad for her sake. Still, the day when she brought him to the Sea, he noticed that her mood shifted again; as exuberant as before when she talked or exchanged jokes with him, whenever she thought that he was not looking she fell into a mournful silence.

And Zarhil was not the only one to feel the need to protect her troubled thoughts behind a veil of quiet. In spite of the welcome changes that this trip meant for him, Inziladûn soon found that he was still haunted by the shadows of Armenelos.

It was a feeling whose nature he could not exactly discern, but since that fatidical morning in which Magon, prince of Gadir, had stood in his way in that corridor, each whisper of a courtier, each visitor to his father´s audience chamber, each look in the Prince´s eyes had felt like another thread of a shape-shifting, endlessly stretching web of conspiracy. Sometimes, he was afraid that the suspicious disease that ran in his family´s veins could be preying on him. He had escaped the gloom of the Palace, but the irrational feeling of danger had still followed him here.

One day, they found themselves in a beach of the Eastern shore, riding back from one of their excursions. Inziladûn had confessed his great desire to visit the tower of Meneldur, where a famous ancestor of his had been imprisoned, and Zarhil had obliged.

The tower was now abandoned, not even used as a lighthouse anymore. Taking advantage of this circumstance, they had been able to climb to the uppermost room, where Tar-Meneldur had studied the stars and Alissha´s life had waned in an agony of decades. He had felt a great sadness pervade his spirit, as he sat behind the window where the woman who had been meant to be the first queen of the Faithful had seen the same stormy sea, day after day to the hour of her death, and wondered darkly if his own mission would end in a similar fate of loneliness.

Zarhil had also been quiet for the most part, not doing much to dispel the clouds of his demeanour. The trip back home was done in silence, each lost in their own world of thoughts, until he was taken out of his musings by an exclamation.

“Look! Look, Inziladûn, over there! Ships!”

Curious, he followed his wife´s finger, which was pointing at the horizon. Built with the exquisite craft of the Númenóreans, the machines of war seemed to fly over the foam with spread sails, like gigantic gulls of a beautiful yet terrible elegance.

“Warships!” she cried, excited, dismounting and heading towards the shore to have a better look at them. Inziladûn, admired in spite of himself, followed her example. “One, two, three! They are heading South for Sor!”

“Two warships.” he corrected mechanically. Zarhil stared at him in surprise. “One merchant ship.” Clients of the Merchant Princes, a darker voice murmured within his mind.

“By the Lady of the Seas, you have the eyesight of an Elvish fiend!” she cursed, clearly aggravated at a landsman besting her in her own domain. He did not answer, busy with overtaking her and reaching the breaking of the waves.

And then, he saw it. Riding the foam that spread like a white mantle over his feet, a single, silver gleam. Out of an immediate instinct, he crouched and caught it in his hand, before the water pulled it away from him.

A leaf. A small, perfect leaf of malinornë that he could cup in the palm of his hand.

“Inziladûn! What are you doing?”

For a moment, he tried to search in his mind for a way to explain this. Had the current brought it all the way from Andúnië, round the cape and without being washed ashore until it reached him? But then, his faint attempts at logic were overtaken by the unleashed storm of visions, like a wave was overtaken by another as they broke upon the shore. He saw the pale figures of Númendil and Emeldir, sitting under the malinornë trees, and there was a shadow upon them.

He saw Artanis, watching them sadly from a distance. The shadow was upon her, too, and upon her father and family.

He saw Eärendur, standing in waiting at the Palace courtyard. He appraised the shadow in front of him and faced it without a struggle, with the resigned firmness that Inziladûn had always seen upon his face to that day.

And the shadow engulfed him.

“Inziladûn... what is the matter?”

Pulled back into reality by the insistence of Zarhil´s voice, the first emotion that coursed through Inziladûn´s mind was danger. At once, he hid the leaf and tried to bring back an appearance of normalcy to his features, tense with fear.

“I am fine.” he assured her, swallowing deeply. For a second, her look felt doubtful and penetrating, but he looked away and headed back towards his horse in determined strides. “We must hurry, or night will take us in our way.”

Only after a while, he heard the soft, crushing sound of the sand giving way under puzzled steps.

 

Interlude III: Departure

Read Interlude III: Departure

“In the name of the King, do not resist!”

 

He did not move. The soldiers had made a circle around him, but they did not advance, as if held back by an invisible wall.

 

Away in the distance, he heard his grandson´s voice. He was telling them not to harm his wife and Artanis -lonely, unfortunate Artanis, how she would miss the golden trees-, but he knew that they had been told not to touch any of them. It had been like this the other time, before any of them had been born.

 

Now, they would be brought to the Palace. There would be a trial. And later in the night they would be taken East, to the shores where his own life had begun in exile so many years ago. The proud Merchant Princes, newly allied to the Royal family, would suffer no opposition either in trade or politics.

 

With the first indice of anxiety that he had felt since they broke into his house, Eärendur wondered for a moment how Inziladûn would face these new circumstances. For years he had taken great pains to impress the nature of their respective duties in the mind of his young, royal kinsman; asked, entreated him to never betray himself no matter what happened to them in the future. Their own roles in this drama were secondary, fleeting lives of dedicated service and constant incertitude until their time came. And he thought that Inziladûn had understood – yes, he told himself with a small allowance to pride, he had taught him well.

 

His role was now over.

 

A young child sat upon the ground, listening to the distant cry of the seagulls.

 

“Mama, are those the birds from home?”

 

His mother shook her head in sadness.

 

“No, my dear. We have no home.”

 

The first cry of surprise came from behind his back. Another followed almost at once, and suddenly he saw nothing but confused faces, the clank of metal and a shuffle of feet running towards him. Cold hands grabbed at his arm, trying to pull him up, to force him to stay with harsh threats, but this, he thought with a smile in triumph, was the only thing that the proud King of Men would never be able to command.

 

Eärendur closed his eyes, willing back to his mind the memories of the first time that he had leaned on the prow of a ship to see the majestic cliffs of the Bay of Andúnië. Once again, he sought the secrets embedded on the grey lines with the enthusiasm of a child, until he found the city of his ancestors, carved in stone and cradled by rock like the nest of an eagle.

 

We have a home, mother, he muttered. Far in the distance, someone shook his body as if it was a broken puppet. And no one will take it away from me again.

 

A light shone in the West, white and radiant like foam under the sunlight. With a last, pitying glance at his loved ones, Eärendur rose, and began the journey.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

“Father...”

 

His voice broke. A weak grin flickered for a second over the emaciated face, before it contracted in a renewed spasm. The cold hand gripped his harshly, drawing nails against his flesh.

 

Gimilzôr did not feel the pain.

 

“Father, listen to me.” he repeated, this time in a firmer, more composed tone. Still, somehow, the treacherous anguish managed to seep through, and a part of his soul cringed at its haunting sound. When had he come to this humiliating weakness? “Númenor is safe now. The rule of the Western lords has ended. The merchants of Sor and Gadir are our friends, and we will keep things under control. One day, a new ruling family will be born from this alliance.” He paused to swallow the knot in his throat. “Inziladûn´s line is broken. We have saved Númenor, Father, do you see? We did what had to be done. You - understand it now, at last, do you not, Father?”

 

Ar-Sakalthôr´s huge, wide eyes stared at him in incomprehension. Little by little, the pull began to subside, and a feverish hand tried to find its way to clean the sweat from his brow. Gimilzôr sought for a handkerchief and wiped it himself, while his father watched his every movement in some tension and a slight wariness.

 

Suddenly, the old King broke into a short, raspy laugh.

 

“Who are you?” he said. Gimilzôr took a long breath. He was delirious.

 

“I am your son.” he said. “Your son, Gimilzôr.”

 

Ar-Sakalthôr shook his head, but did not answer or show any further signal of recognition.

 

“I have no sons”, he muttered a long while later, as he studied the glazed tiles of the wall in quiet disdain.

Interlude IV: City of Water

Read Interlude IV: City of Water

The young woman bowed thrice, touching the stone floor with her forehead. With a well-measured gesture, she made the holy sign, muttered a litany of sacred names, and stood up to leave.

As she walked the length of the cave, her ears caught the faint sounds of rustling robes, first away in the distance, then closing upon her, unseen. A tremulous breath escaped her lungs, and she paused for a moment to listen. They were there, her sisters-  she could feel their presence following her movements from the shadows, with gazes of silent mourning for their youngest.

And still, she was not allowed to linger for any longer. Outside, they were waiting for her to emerge, for the brutal sunrays to tear her away from the Mother´s darkness. She lowered her head, blinking the dazzled tears away as she took in the stairs, until her eyes became able to find the way back to the boat. Two women, dressed in red and gold, knelt reverently to pick up her robes.

Melkyelid sat upon the back of the ship, slowly relaxing as the familiar roll of small waves rocked her body. At both sides of the channel, citizens paused their daily dealings to lean over the bronze railings, and take a curious glimpse of the young bride who would cross the ocean to dwell on their ancient homeland, where the sun drowned every night and ships who dared to wander beyond the last limits were swallowed by angry waves. Two children pointed at her excitedly, whispering between themselves.

The city of Gadir was never fairer than at this hour of the morning. It was the hour of the humid radiance, which spread through the urban forest of white and painted towers that crowned the tall houses. It was the hour when the first light touched the streets of polished pavements that the people of Gadir preferred to the corridors of their own houses, and the quiet groves where an awed little girl had once caught glimpses of a blue plain between gigantic trunks of oceanic, trees that spread their knotted, muscled arms as if to catch her in an embrace of petrified wood.

This same light was now dancing in brilliant spots upon the calm waters, where an older girl had thrown her most precious jewels to pray for the love of an ungrateful young man. And as the boat sailed across the wide mouth where the channel died into the sea, with the Númenorean harbour upon her left and the golden sands of the cove upon her right, it also touched the wilder waters where she had bathed her naked body after her service to the Goddess.

Melkyelid went pale, as those distant memories mingled with another, more recent ones. A young woman cradled her shaking body with her own hands, lying upon the cold floor at the Lady´s feet.

“Almighty Mother, you who rule the might of Sea, you who look with pleasure upon the joining of bodies in the dark hours of the night, you whom I have always served, and honoured, and held holier than the mother who bore me, take pity on your daughter in her great distress. Throw your mantle of shadows upon her, shut her in your dark womb, protect her from the cruel sun of tomorrow. Accept her eternal service, use her body to subdue men to your power, fill her mind with pious thoughts, until the day that she is lost and taken by the Doom of Men.”

Melkyelid stood up from her seat. The heavy silver necklace that she was wearing made a clinking noise, and she remembered her father´s hands, turning it thrice around her neck.

“You are my pride. Even as you sit in your brilliant palace at the end of the world, never forget your blood.”

Her mother, patiently tying the seventy thin braids of her hair with silver bands.

“You are my pride. Even as you watch the sun die in front of your eyes, never forget your blood.”

Her elder sisters, who stole looks of mingled jealousy and admiration while they painted her fingernails with diminute figures of purple, and arranged the folds of blue silk spun in silver of her dress.

“You are our pride. Even as you bear long-lived children with the eyes of gods, never forget your blood.”

The young woman saw the last arms of sand pass her by, the last rocks, the last collectors of the purple shell. Her fingernails dug into her palms, so harshly that they almost drew blood.

... The benign smile of cold ivory, last teaching of her Mother to her daughter...

The boat slowed its course, then bumped to a halt. In front of it stood the ship.

Melkyelid swallowed the ache and smiled a regal smile, serene and achingly beautiful like the goddess of ivory. Her city lay behind her back, with her towers and her  trees, and her polished streets, and her shadowed temples.

And in front of the ship, stretching in front of the dead child´s eyes, the blue, flawless plain.

“Let us board before the wind changes.” she ordered in a clear voice.

 

The Coming of the Bride

Read The Coming of the Bride

The late Spring day was magnificent at its zenith, like a perfect blue gem. The sky was reflected over the smooth surface of the waters, and the people who crowded the docks sought in vain for a gust of sea breeze that would ease the weight of the burning sun. Everything was quiet, with the crushing calm of sacred ceremonies.

For the space of that one day, the small city of the Old Harbour had been revived from its long agony. Once again, visitors crowded the streets, vendors shouted their merchandise, and old women who leaned over their windows in mystified surprise were asked for the shortest way to the harbour that had once been the greatest in the world of Men and a word of fear for Middle Earth. The intense life of a royal seaport erupted in streets of old stone and neglected statues, where people exchanged rumours, confronted their divided opinions about the Newcomer and devised strategies to have a good view of the royal train.

As any pedantic library mouse, or proud heir of an ancient family would tell anybody who wanted to hear, Rómenna had been the key of Númenorean expansion for so many centuries that they were now impossible to count. The ships that would found Gadir had set off from their docks, and silver had flowed into their outstretched palms. Kings had embellished their streets, built magnificent public edifices and temples, and some ventured that even Gadir´s beauty had been nothing but a pale copy of its mother back then.

The beginning of the decadence had been Ar-Adunakhôr´s accession to the throne. The ambitious king had judged Rómenna insufficient for his daring projects, too small and old and full of memories. Not further than a few miles south, he had ordered the building of the Arms of the Giant, the weapon of Melkor fully equipped for both trade and war. The harbour of Sor was larger than three cities put together, and in the shadow of the growing monster, Rómenna could do nothing but wither.

During the reign of Ar-Zimrathôn, to add insult to injury, the King had ordered the Western exiles to dwell in settlements near the city, effectively crushing whatever remained of their ancient splendour. That impious rabble had suffocated them, forcing them to build walls and fences against their possible rebellions and attracting the King´s ill-will over the region. In the families of Rómenna, visceral hatred for those usurpers was transmitted from one generation to another as part of a sombre inheritance, the last remains of their ancient pride.

This year, however, many events had taken place to shake them away from this long lethargy of resentment. King Ar-Gimilzôr, in an unexpected decision that had provoked outrage and set many tongues wagging in the whole of Númenor, had chosen a bride from Gadir for his younger son, the daughter of the most powerful merchant of the colony. It was the first time that a woman of Middle-Earth married into an important family in Númenor –the King´s own family!-, and the whole Court had been set in motion to welcome her to the Island.

The first idea had been, of course, to have her reach Sor and welcome her in the King´s harbour. But when most preparatives were already completed, the priests had suddenly interposed their veto. If the Middle-Earth ship bringing the new princess to Númenor entered Sor, it would be a bad omen of conquest. Discontent was already seeping through the populace about what they viewed as a humiliating capitulation to the Merchant Princes, and her arrival could not take the appearance of a triumphal entrance in the greatest symbol of the King´s dominion over the world. Moreover, she was consecrated to the Goddess, whose dark feminine essence the Lord of Light despised.

And thus, the inhabitants of Rómenna had woken up one morning to find whole armies of servants of the King at their gates. For the space of a month the city had been cleaned and repaired, fences had been built throughout the harbour, houses had been restored to their former magnificence to accomodate great nobles, and the Western exiles who lived in the city as servants, artisans or vendors had been expelled once again. Everything that the Royal House of Armenelos had not done in a hundred years had been completed in a few days.

Most citizens, in spite of all, had not allowed themselves to be blinded by this new turn in their fortunes. Their city had once been great, and in front of those new visitors - both the humble and the illustrious-, they were determined to behave as if nothing was out of the ordinary. The lady whose family had been noble at the time of the Colonisers wore the finery of her great-grandmother, and stared with condescendence at the heavy golden veils of the Court ladies. The head of the City Council did not humble himself offering his thanks to the governor of Sor for having been chosen – echoes of a time where such a choice would have been obvious. Parents scolded their children for staring at the folk of Armenelos, and any circle of old wives felt entitled to criticise, in patronising tones, this new bride whom they fancied to be a distant descendant of one of the city´s wayward families, who had once left in search of a better fortune.

Still, the day when the royal train finally made it to the harbour, there were few who withstood the temptation of fighting for a vantage point from which they could at least catch a glimpse of the favourites of Melkor. None of the citizens had seen this new King before, except for the odd merchant who had travelled to Armenelos to finish some business on the day of the Prince´s wedding. As he walked towards the docks surrounded by his train and guards, many women and more than one man stood on their toes, and let go of a sigh of wonder.

Now, that was a king. Some of the elderly people of the city still remembered having travelled to neighbouring Sor to see Ar-Sakalthôr more than seventy years ago, when he went there to consecrate the temple of Melkor in the first year of his reign, and his long pale face, lost glances and rebellious hair had been found wanting. Ar-Gimilzôr, however, even at a distance, carried his royal dignity with all the required competence. His diadem, golden and set with rubies seemed to have been wrought with the sole purpose of ornating his proud frown. The purple cloak was folded with elegance, and the curls of long black hair fell down his back exactly as the most exigent of his examiners would have wished. All in all, he walked with assurance, seeing all but unmoved by everything.

Behind him, someone whispered, came his elder son, the Prince of the West. The looks of reverential approval that his father had earned turned to surprise, and then shock as he came in full sight. If he had not carried the purple, no one would have hesitated to believe that he was a lowly servant allowed into the King´s train by underhanded means. His mane, curly like that of his father, was as rebellious as that of his grandfather, and, horror of horrors! he had not shaved the hair in his face. He walked briskly, with none of the dignity that was required even of the humblest stablehand of the Palace, and his eyes, unpleasant and grey like those of the impious exiles, stared left and right with an unseeming curiosity.

At his side was his wife, plain and grey-haired like the wife of a barbarian. The daughter of a maid who served the hairdresser of a Palace lady-in-waiting whispered to her friends that she had heard there was no love between them, that he was exasperated at her unability to give him heirs, and that she spent more than half of her years in her family´s house in the cold North.

Last, three steps behind them, the other son of the King walked at the side of the governor of Sor. His features mirrored those of his father, but coloured by the charm of a youth that refused to fade, and which the artful braiding of his hair with gold thread contributed to enhance. He wore a tunic of green and gold; the approval of the crowd was immediate.

As he made a move of his hand to elegantly brush a spot of dust from the hem of his cloak, a woman whispered in her husband´s ear that Prince Gimilkhâd would make a better King than his brother. The respectable shoemaker looked left and right and shook his head, vaguely afraid.

Because of the unfavourable currents, or a general error of calculation of the heralds, the ship was suffering a delay. The city authorities soon had to order a red awning to be brought for the royal family, and some murmurations could be heard from the rowdier part of the multitude as the sunrays started to grow stronger. More than one person, bedazzled by the light or simply with a penchant for jokes, announced the silhouette of the ship in the horizon, and caused the heavy calm to stir briefly before it died again in disappointment.

Still, the white sails did not appear unless well past noontide. They came floating over the calm surface of the Sea, agonisingly slow like a sleeping whale. A low buzz of whispers arose again, as the people forgot about the heat and the long hours of waiting to press against each other in their attempts to see.

The ship had ben made with the peculiar craft of the people of Gadir. Lower and wider than the Númenorean falcons of war, its curved hull had ample holds for merchandise, and the gentle, rocking movement it made suggested the graceful swing of a woman´s hips. On its prow, which did not end in the piercing spur typical of the ships of Sor, a glittering spot attracted many curious glances, until it sailed close enough to the harbour for the people to distinguish the shape of a standing woman who looked into the distance.

The looks of curiosity soon turned to incredulity, and the intensity of the whispers increased. Rumour spread like fire that this woman was the merchant´s daughter, the barbarian who had the effrontery to show her face to the assembled crowd before her wedding! Some people turned back to steal a look at Ar-Gimilzôr, to see his reaction, but the King´s features showed none.

It was already under a slightly hostile climate that the ship, amid some yells of the sailors who manouevred to throw and tie the ropes, slowed and froze to a halt, and a gangway made of wooden planks was fastened for the princess´s descent. And still, when she appeared at the top of the ramp, the scathing comments died in a renewed bout of astonishment.

The bride from Gadir stepped down, ignoring the changing emotions of the crowd. For a moment, she stopped to dart a few looks at the unfamiliar surroundings, and her throat bulged with a quick swallow. Her honey-coloured eyes blinked once, and many an angry woman had to elbow her enthralled husband while cursing this foreign priestess who was not a pale-faced girl with a deep glance.

There were many legends about the fair queens of old, and rumour had it that the late Princess Inzilbêth, the mother of the heir to the throne, had been the greatest beauty of Númenor before the Doom took her at a young age. But none, among the thousands of people who gathered in that old harbour, had ever seen such a sight in their lifetime.

This bride was dressed with a magnificence that put every single courtier to shame. Even the King himself was overshadowed by the splendour of her extravagant attire of floating blue silks, covered in embroideries of the fine silver that had earned her city´s prosperity. Heavy necklaces hung from her neck, diamond and emerald bracelets covered her arms in an impossible profusion, and even her hair, long and of a rich brown colour, was almost buried under ringlets of silver and gems. No woman in Númenor had ever dressed like this – no, not even the goddess who stood in the darkness of her cave at the Forbidden Bay.

And yet, the beauty of the woman under the display of riches was well worthy, maybe even complementary of them in an odd way. She was very young –not yet twenty- with freshly formed features that were already tempered by a soft elegance. Beneath her robes, each of her small, balancing steps formed sensuous lines that brought a knot to many throats. And her skin –admirable thing!-, like yet another exotic jewel that had been wrapped over her limbs, was a softly golden colour, as if the sunrays, instead of burning it, had instead chosen to lend to it something of their own quality.

Someone could be heard explaining, to whoever cared to listen, that hers was the skin colour of the people who lived in the land where the sun was born. Those with an education smirked at his ignorance, but none looked aside.

As she arrived in the King´s vicinity, her chin was still high. The onslaught of murmurs of disapproval was renewed, this time coming from the people of the royal train. Something in her eyes, in the way in which she walked suggested effrontery to the grave folk of Armenelos.

She seemed to have the presence of mind to notice, however, and lowered her eyes until she was close enough to kneel and bow in front of Ar-Gimilzôr. Gimilkhâd eyed her in bedazzlement, while a curious interest danced in his brother´s sharp eyes.

“Rise, Melkyelid.” the King said, offering her his hand in a show of goodwill. She took it and stood up, just in time to find coarse fingers holding a red veil in front of her nose.

Realisation dawned upon the newcomer´s features, and she bowed in apology to the tall, forbidding figure of her sister-in-law. When she threw the red folds over her face, several muffled sighs of disappointment could be heard in their proximity.

Once that she had convenably covered herself, she turned again towards Ar-Gimilzôr.

“Protector and guardian of Númenor and its colonies.” she began. Her voice came too loud, and coloured by the shadow of an accent, but it did not tremble. “Favourite of the Great God whose name I am not allowed to speak, ruler of Armenelos, receive this humble daughter of the city beyond the Sea in your sacred realm!”

For a moment, she raised her eyes again, and let them trail briefly over the royal persons. Gimilkhâd swallowed, visibly agitated at the blurred sight of her face. Inziladûn frowned, as if he had been assaulted by a sudden vision, but Ar-Gimilzôr merely nodded in approval.

“Come.” he said. The members of the King´s train composed their robes amid the sound of swishing silks, and slowly set into motion behind Ar-Gimilzôr´s even steps.

Melkyelid stood there, frozen for a second of incertitude as she watched the complicated manouevre. Then, aware of the buzz that had been unleashed behind her back, she held the ends of the long veil with a determined grip, and fell into an empty space behind Gimilkhâd.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Her eyes were round and cautious, taking things in consideration with a sort of methodical slowness. Used to brief waits, to the intense moments and noisy chatter of a life of pleasure in Armenelos, this silent withdrawal into a world of her own could not help but make Gimilkhâd nervous. He turned aside from her, studied the mosaics and carpets of his own room; then turned back abruptly, ashamed at his own lack of majesty.

The young woman´s features, still brilliant from sweat, had only recently emerged from beneath the red folds of the veil. Now, a golden hand was trying to pull an element of her headdress back in place, with precise movements that struck a quiet contrast with his wild behaviour.

As he stopped to look at her, she raised her head in answer. Both their glances clashed in the air, and he blinked, feeling explored – not pierced, like whenever those terrible grey eyes saw through his elaborate masks and broke his strongest defenses, yet he had never allowed any man who drank with him or any woman who entered his bed to stare at him in the face.

And he had always hated silence.

Melkyelid breathed deeply, and her lips curved into a tentative smile. Gimilkhâd, whose mouth had already begun to open, felt a knot gather in his throat, and let it snap shut again.

Too late, he realised that she was seeing him gape at her. Furious, he clenched his fists, trying to regain his dignity while she watched.

“I thought a former priestess of Ashtarte-Uinen would not be so shy on her wedding night.” he blurted out, somewhat vengefully. “What do you have to be afraid of?”

The expected –relieving- onslaught did not come. Maybe, a part of him thought, he had not even expected it, not any more than he would have expected a precious statue in a courtyard to yell back at him.

She smoothed out the blue and silver fabric of her dress over her knees, until there wasn´t a single crease left in the pattern.

“Might a stranger speak freely?” she demanded.

Since the last lady-in-waiting had fled their presence, with hurried steps and a pleased blush upon her downcast face, it was the first time that she had spoken a word. In spite of himself, Gimilkhâd had grown fascinated with that alien accent of deeper and longer vowels, and the soft tone that she had quickly learned to employ when she realised that the ladies of Armenelos were shocked at the loudness in her voice. He nodded, a gesture which she answered with a small yet grave bow.

“It is... more than mere shyness, what brings me to study my battleground with such intent care.” she said, looking into his eyes again. “You have asked if I am afraid; my answer is that I am. From my island city stretching along the coast of Middle-Earth, I alone have returned to the land of my ancestors. I have achieved a place of honour that my family would never have dared to envision through the long generations that lie between me and our noble founder, even though we have become rich and powerful. “Lowering her glance a little, she joined her hands over the curve of her stomach, as if she was suddenly feeling cold. “And now, here, the princess of a house of colonizers is nothing but a barbarian. The daughter of Magon of Gadir is the daughter of a merchant, and the priestess of the Great Goddess is a prostitute who should not be shy in her wedding night.”

She made a long pause, but did not seem to care for the badly dissimulated shock in his eyes. He felt an urge to say something, but he could not figure what or how.

“This city is full of unkind eyes, tall buildings, and streets that I cannot tread.” she continued, in an even lower tone. The statue was beginning to dissolve in a fragile, longing image of vulnerability. Gimilkhâd sat at her side, and all of a sudden nothing mattered anymore, only a desire to hold those delicate fingers and tell her that there was nothing to fear.

And yet, he still did not know what to say.

“I have heard that there is a... rare kind of beauty in your city.” he began. His voice, hoarse at first in his clumsy attempts at kindness, became firmer when he saw a tentative light begin to shine in her features. “That there are places where you can see the Great Sea in front of you, and the barbarian coast behind.”

“Oh, yes! Our island is a small world of many horizons.” she nodded, happier at the remembrances. Her honey eyes became lost in the distance, as if they were seeing the familiar lines and colours of the land of her birth. “Ours is the mysterious blue line where no land is seen, the passage to another world that is but a myth to the tribes of barbarians that trade with us. Ours is the distant sight of mountains, behind the fog of the Eastern world. Ours is the red sunset where the sky seems to be filled with blood, the crown of ghostly rays behind a mass of grey clouds, and the spark of green that superstitious eyes seek whenever a yellow sun drowns into the Sea under a clear sky. “He pressed her against him, seduced by the enthusiasm in her voice, and she briefly rested her head against his shoulder. She smelled strange. “And ours is the sunset behind the branches of giant foreign trees.”

“You will also like Armenelos.” he promised.

For a while, he sought for words to describe the splendours of his city as she had just done with hers. But the flattering descriptions of Court poets rung hollow in his mind, borrowed words in face of the real love that breathed in her high-flowing, solemn foreign eloquence. He gave up.

What could he know?

Gimilkhâd had lived all his life in Armenelos, and prepared countless escapades to the best and worst quarters of the Three Hills to find the objects of his pleasures. He knew of the magnificence of its buildings, gardens, temples and palaces, which had furnished the luxuries that had become his life´s most pressing needs. Nowhere else, after all, could he have found such refinements, such fine garments, such beautiful women and good wine, and for all this he liked the King´s capital. But he had never loved Armenelos, where the sombre corridors had once been a world of dread, and a Palace wing had always been closed to him.

For a moment, he imagined how it would be to be her, and went back to those nights of darkness when he fancied that the still unexplored galleries were a labyrinth that stretched infinitely in every direction, and his mad grandfather smiled at him from his throne. When he still didn´t have friends, or women, or anything who stood between him and the overwhelming presence of two dark eyes lit with a cruel hope, and two sea-grey eyes filled with contempt.

He looked at the woman who sat next to him, who studied the height of the ceilings with the careful mistrust of a barbarian or a child. And then, though he had never had a share in the perilous gift of the King´s line, he felt briefly as if a flash of insight had taken him.

Would this quiet beauty reign one day in those corridors that she now feared? Would her voice be heard, louder than his, firmer in her intent?

A feathery caress on his shoulder startled him out of those strange musings. He gazed at her, and she surprised his lips with a kiss.

For a moment, he stood there in shock. No woman had ever touched him first before, not even the boldest whores at the less reputable places he had visited. Then, however, as a pair of skilled hands touched and scratched their way down his back, he felt the beginnings of a fire burn and coil inside his chest, warmer than the others he had experienced.

Taken by the impulse, his own hands wandered towards her hair and neck, and he began to discard the precious silver ornaments, throwing them left and right. His own violence surprised him, and also the unexpected surge of wild relief when, at last, he saw them scattered upon the floor.

The naked goddess nodded gravely, stretching her golden limbs upon the covers.

 

The Lady Melkyelid

Read The Lady Melkyelid

Inziladûn.

A fog wove its warm tendrils over his soul. He looked down, forcing his mind to surrender to the glimmering precipice that stretched in the dark. Fear seized him in its cold grip, but he had learned long ago that he was brave enough to surrender.

All their voices were there, floating in the air that rose slowly to meet his trembling face. The grave voice of a man, the concerned voice of a woman, a young lady who smiled and a pale young man who studied the lines of his countenance in quiet fascination.

Inziladûn.

Even she was there, with her sad, beautiful smile. But unlike the others, she did not call him.

Inziladûn bit his lip, banishing the ghosts of the past from his mind. There were pressing issues at hand, reasons that had pushed him to contact the Exiles for the second time in the last three months – in spite of the danger.

With a firm gesture, he reached to the precipice, and took the light in his hands. Images of vast distances passed him by at a vertiginous speed, of hills and crops and temples, and a tall, magnificent city on the shores of the Great Sea. Crying seagulls settled upon a red tower with a quick flapping of wings. He steadied his grip.

Zarhil´s time is over. he said, searching for a point of support in the grey eyes of Valandil, which widened a bit before they were shadowed by a dark cloud.  I will not have heirs.

A heavy silence followed his words, as the Exiles pondered the disheartening news. Somewhere, a current of despair screamed briefly before it was subdued into the usual harmony of resignation.

We must trust the will of Ilúvatar.

Inziladûn acquiesced.

You feel no grief.

Surprised, the Prince of Númenor recognised the soft voice of Artanis. For the first time in years, her eyes pierced his light, and he remembered that they had been the colour of the sky on a foggy Andúnië dawn.

Artanis... her father´s voice interrupted, but she did not back down.

Inziladûn has a greater gift than any of us. We must trust his foresight, even if he does not trust it himself.

Shocked by the strange reasoning, Inziladûn tried to pull away from the link that joined his soul to the community of the Faithful. He needed to be himself again, to reflect on her words without other people´s thoughts brushing against his and gently mingling in a choir of whispering voices.

You feel no grief.

As he returned to the –now so narrow, so excruciatingly narrow- confines of his own self, he saw his wife´s sour expression turn to glowering anger. A vase shattered against the floor in a thousand shards.

“All those years for this? For you to mutter empty words of comfort when I tell you I will never be able to bear your child?”

“It is not your fault, Zarhil.”

Puzzlement gathered in his entrails, together with a weird feeling of inadequacy. It was as if – somehow, the news did not reach the sentient part of his soul. As if they were vain words, nothing more.

For all those years, he had been waiting, hoping. Having faith, in spite of the quickly diminishing chances. His father had been no fool, even though he believed in oracles.

Had his faith created such a gulf between him and reality, that now he was unable to accept it even as it was yelled to his face?He could not be angry. He could not feel despair.

Maybe everything had been in vain all along - and maybe he had known.

Artanis´s faith still reached him, now similar to a faint echo in the distance. But, he wondered, could foresight work this way? Forbidding his heart to follow the logic of his brain? Maybe, what had happened to him at other times could have been explained by this – that night when against his upbringing he had chosen to trust the Lord of Andünié and forsaken his father´s gods-, but face to an inexorable law of Nature, the very thought seemed pretentious and empty.

Only He who created Nature holds power over His creation.

More shaken than what he had felt back when Zarhil gave him the news, Inziladûn focused back on the palantír. They were all waiting for him, and their minds opened gladly to pull him in. No one questioned his disappearance.

Inziladûn.

This presence was the most vague of all, with the ethereal quality of morning fog among trees; an Elf whose light had been dimmed by time and shadow. And yet, his voice was firm.

Númendil. he acknowledged him.

My wife is expecting a child, and I feel that he will be male. I will glady give him to you. the voice said.

There are many ways to introduce a baby in the Palace unnoticed. Valandil added in tacit agreement. And there are also ways to feign a pregnancy.

Shocked, Inziladûn felt their sincerity reach him. There was no suffering, no conflict, no more than a passing regret in the heart of Númendil and his family. They would surrender their homes, their freedom, their lives –their nieces, he remembered with some bitterness-, and even their yet unborn children in their quest for salvation.

He had been their friend and ally for many years now, and yet, at such moments he suddenly became aware of the width of the gulf that lay between them and him. Unlike them, he had never sacrificed everything. He could not wholly fathom the depths of devotion that lay behind their veiled glances. At those times, he felt ashamed – and afraid, knowing that one day he, like them, would have to face his destiny.

I congratulate you warmly, Númendil. Your son will carry the line of the Lords of Andúnië in brighter times.

His words, at least, were received with due acceptance. Feeling his refusal, they did not insist, and soon afterwards he pulled away in silence.

That night, Inziladûn dreamed of a boy and a girl, holding each other´s hands as they ran to escape the might of the wave. Their hair was black, their eyes grey and full of terror, and they were both alike.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The King´s Festival was especially solemn that year, as whenever Númenor or its colonies were waging war on other peoples. In mid-winter, Armenelos had been mildly shaken when some ships bearing the King´s ensign had set for the colony of Gadir, with the mission of “mediating” in the uprising of a faction of citizens that had rebelled against Magon´s leadership and accused him of despotical ways. Contrary to the example of their metropolis, the people of Gadir, composed by a great majority of merchants, had always prized themselves for the relative equality of their social status. There had never been any great differences between the richest families, and an uncommon growth in the fortune of one was felt as a terrible insult by the others. Magon´s prosperity upon reaching the King´s ear had threatened them more than what any foreign foe ever could.

Still, Ar-Gimilzôr would never have been so careless as to send his ships to wage war on citizens. The raids of the Belfalas tribes were causing some ruckus in the trading posts of the colony, and under the grand pretext of fighting them he had declared the War Year. Thus, the altar where the flame of Melkor burned had been decorated with branches that smelled strongly of myrrh, and gold and purple offrands glistened upon the white flight of stairs. And, while the choir of priests sang the sacred litanies, the King performed the feat of sacrificing not two, but twelve black bulls and cows.

Inziladûn watched from a retired place, as always hiding his disgust at the spurts of blood under a seamless mask. He liked to believe that he had not needed Eärendur´s words to hate such a violent and dirty ceremony – deep inside his heart, even back when the lulling whispers of priests assaulted his ears in a continuous torrent, he had preferred to adopt Maharbal´s belief that purity could never come from uncleanliness and pestilence, or rejoice in it.

Next to him, Zarhil and Gimilkhâd followed the ceremony in silence. His brother, always devout, was forming a prayer with his lips, but Zarhil stood still in her place like a rock battered by the winds of Sorontil. The glow of the flames lighted her face in undulating patterns, bringing out the pallor in her features.

A powerful bellow echoed through the hall, momentarily smothering the litany of chants. Inziladûn saw the dying bull fall to its knees in agony, and his father´s hands smeared in blood. A shiver ran through his spine.

At a short distance, priests in white were hauling the first victims to throw them into the fire. The sacred flames rose to give their flaring welcome to the carcasses, and then the fumes became darker. A deep stench filled his nostrils, almost causing him to grimace in repugnance.

Elbereth, he muttered, remembering stories of how the Lady´s light had defeated this darkness when the world was new. But She was a pure thought of the One, not an imperfect soul where two kindreds battled each other continuously, locked in a prison of soiled flesh. And yet no, not even this - he was nothing but a human, the last fruit of a cursed lineage.

And he could not save Númenor.

As this morbid thought formed inside his mind, Inziladûn was shocked at himself. At once he turned back, trying to breathe clear air to purify his mind, but the pestilence had already impregnated everything. He coughed, unable to stop the dark flow of images. Everything that he had been unable to feel since Zarhil gave him the news assaulted him now with an unstoppable violence.

He imagined the black cloud spreading over cities, land and mountains, smothering everything under its suffocating stench. People fell to their knees with tortured gasps, unable to breathe, until a terrible yet beautiful wave restored their purity in death.

Shaken, and unable to think of the repercussions of his action, he turned away from the altar, and left the hall of sacrifices under Zarhil´s surprised look.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As fresh air reached his nostrils again, Inziladûn felt the sickly visions start to dissolve, like a child´s nightmare under the comforting light of the day. And still, something lingered in spite of his relief, while the pestilence of burned flesh still adhered to his skin and robes. Nauseated, he took the direction of the gardens, swearing to himself that he would never hold a single sacrifice as King.

The royal backyard of the Temple, located behind the altar, was one of the most lovely places in Armenelos. Driven by that year´s unaccustomed heat, the orange trees had bloomed early, and their fragrant white flowers fell in clusters that floated upon the waters of its twelve running fountains.

Somewhere behind the bushes, the sound of a woman´s soft laughter reached Inziladûn. Suddenly aware that he was not alone, he washed his face with the sweet-smelling water and tried to regain his royal composure, banishing the last shadows from his mind.

The lady he had heard was sitting upon the blue glazed tiles of a fountain, together with seven companions. At their centre, protected from the sunrays by a heavy branch whose flowers fell upon the pages at intervals, the lady Melkyelid was reading aloud. Her hair, as was her custom, was braided into a complicated headdress with gold and red gems. The silk dress she wore was also red and embroidered in gold, and even her lips were skillfully painted with tiny patterns of both colours.

Upon noticing his presence, she laid the book down, and signalled the other women to bow. In the middle of the minor ruckus that ensued, only she stayed in place with courteously downcast eyes.

“You will not like my smell.” he told her, with studied lightheartedness. He had never felt comfortable around the daughter of Magon, in spite of her many fine qualities and her ability to give a good impression.

She merely smiled.

“Yet it is the smell of the divine.” A divinity whose threshold she was forbidden to cross, but whose power any true daughter of Gadir would rever. Inziladûn had heard many times that the cult of Melkor had originally hailed from their Temple – and yet, he did not have any intention of talking about the dark god in this beautiful place.

To his relief, she did not make any reference to his presence in the gardens before the ceremony was over. If she found it odd, or if it confirmed the rumours she had heard about his impiety, she preferred to let it pass in silence.

“It is well that we have met here. “she said instead, standing up from her seat. “There is... one thing that I wanted to tell you, and I did not know if I would ever have the chance.”

One of the women knelt to shake the petals off the folds of her dress, and she waited patiently for her to finish. Then, she gestured at them to stay back, and turned a beseeching look in Inziladûn´s direction.

“Would you walk with me?”

He nodded, more than slightly puzzled at the proposition. Since her arrival to Rómenna, there was no way to keep count of the pleasantries and formalities that they had exchanged, but they had never held a personal conversation.

For a while, they walked in silence through the carved paths and fountains. The vivid greens of the plants, the clear blue of the sky and the red in her dress were a welcome relief after the altar´s darkness, and he took every chance to bathe deeply in them.

Finally, she spoke again, carefully honing her Eastern eloquence.

“My heart was shaken when I laid eyes upon the radiant Princess of the West.”

Inziladûn hid his shock. Even if Zarhil´s sourness had been apparent to an observing outsider, it was not this woman´s place to comment upon it. And since he had known her, Melkyelid had never done anything that it was not her place to do.

“What do you mean?” he asked, forcing his voice to sound neither accusing nor defensive.

His sister-in-law´s lips curved into a new smile, this time strangely close to a grin. Before he could wonder at her sudden change of attitude, however, she laid a careful hand upon his shoulder, and calmly broke her news.

“I think that the Princess of the West is pregnant.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The hard, dark-grey eyes narrowed ominously.

“Pregnant?”

She pulled back from him, until her head almost collided with the opposite end of the covered carriage, and let go of a derisive laugh. Inziladûn nodded, unfazed.

“This is what she said.”

“And you believed such a ludicrous story?”

“She said that she knew it as a woman. And then I remembered that it was two months ago when we last...”

Zarhil shook her head with violence, interrupting him.

“Nonsense! What... what can she possibly know about me? She was lying, lying like her whole breed!”

He crossed his arms over his knees, patiently. The carriage was crossing a street with irregular pavement, and both felt the wheels jump under their feet.

“And why would she?”

“Oh, who knows? Unlike her, I do not claim to know other women´s inner secrets!” she replied, making huge gestures with both hands. “She is not a good woman. Maybe... maybe she wants to have a laugh at my expense. Or she does it to introduce further disension between us!”

Even further? he thought, in bitter sarcasm.

“Since she came, her reputation has been spotless.” he told Zarhil, in an attempt to quench her quickly growing rage. “The King is very fond of her, and my brother loves her dearly. I do not think there are any grounds to...”

“Your brother loves her dearly!” The woman´s grimace showed well enough what she thought of Gimilkhâd´s affections. “A priestess of Ashtarte-Uinen is worth a hundred women”... isn´t that what they say?”

“Enough, Zarhil!” Inziladûn grumbled, at last close to losing his patience as well. In this, at least, they were still partners, he thought: there never was a single time when one of them failed for long to rise to the other´s provocation. “The lady Melkyelid is not the subject of our discussion, but whether you are or not pregnant!”

“Pregnant!” she cried. The carriage had slowed down; they were probably entering the Main Courtyard.“Of course I am not pregnant! I told you that the time was over for me, do you remember? How do I need to say it in order for you to understand? I do not bleed anymore!”

The Prince swallowed. A belated awareness that this subject should have been calmly discussed instead of yelled, -and that it was somehow the fault of his earlier wording- assaulted his mind, but today´s aggressivity was becoming too much even for her usual standards of behaviour. She was positively seething, glancing left and right like a lion in a cage.

“Do pregnant women bleed?” he asked, forcing his voice to adopt a kinder tone.

Zarhil stood up, grabbing the velvet curtain with her strong fist.

“Will you never cease tormenting me, Inziladûn?”

Before his astonished eyes, she jumped. Outside, someone shouted in surprise. A horse neighed loudly as it was reined back by frightened hands, and the impulse of the sudden stop caused him to fall back on his seat.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

For more than a month, Inziladûn saw nothing of Zarhil. She withdrew to her chambers, forbidding him entrance, and he was left alone to wonder about the puzzling turns of events.

Returning to their conversation, and recalling the ferocious hurt in her eyes before the jump, he realised, with the clarity of belated awareness, that her unability to have children had haunted her too. He cursed himself for his blindness, he, the man who looked into the hearts of people and had failed to nail his wife´s elusive and shifting distress! But no matter how many times he tried to talk to her again, he was not allowed into her rooms.

At days, he kept helping the King with the affairs of governance, unable, as in a nightmare, to prevent the many grains of sand from escaping his grip. Ar-Gimilzôr controlled everything now, his allies were rich in Middle-Earth and strong in Sor. The exiles would not return to their homes; their lordship had been revoked and they lived as virtual prisoners of the Merchant Princes of Sor. Their Southern harbours were exploited by the King; the Northern ones remained empty. People from other parts of Númenor had been relocated to the West, and offered farms in the lands of Andustar, which had come to fall under the lordship of the Governor of the Forbidden Bay. In the mainland, Umbar had been recently fortified. And reigning supreme above all this Magon, the merchant of Gadir, restored as undisputable leader of the colony, furnished the royal house with enough riches to produce two hundred thousand suits of armour, a hundred thousand swords and a hundred warships at the slightest sign of war, controlled Sorian trade and held most nobles of Númenor –even Zarhil´s father- in the list of his debitors.

At nights, weary and dispirited after endless ceremonies in caves and smoking altars –Ar-Gimilzôr, in his old age, had become more religious than ever-, he lay in his bed and immediately fell asleep. But his eyes, closed to the waking world, were opened to a legion of eerie and persistent visions whose meaning evaded him. He saw the Wave, and the foul smoke, and in the centre of everything, the Twins. They held hands and stared at him, with grey eyes full of silent insistence.

One of those days, as he returned to his chambers in the evening, he was startled to find a hunched figure lying upon his bed. With a strange mixture of caution and urgence, he approached the dark silhouette, and two fearful grey eyes rose to meet his own.

“Zarhil?” he whispered, astonished. He tried to kneel at her side, but she shook her head and clumsily sat down on her own. Her movements ressembled those of a drunkard, but it was her pallor what alarmed him. “Zarhil! What is the matter?”

She opened her mouth as if to speak, then closed it again as if she did not know how to start. A faint blush began to spread across her cheeks.

“I was – I am pregnant.” she stammered, in an almost inaudible whisper.

He did not understand the words.

“What?”

“I am pregnant!” she repeated, mustering back some of her old irritation. “Have you gone deaf? Or you do not speak the language of the Men of Númenor? Is it so... so difficult to...?”

Her voice trailed away, and soon died down in a confused stammer. Swallowing deeply, he embraced her, forcing the news to sink inside his brain.

Her limbs were shaking, in constant but irregular spasms. At first, he thought that she had to be crying, but then realised that it was a silent laughter. As if it had been nothing but a funny tale, he recalled everything from the start: her announcement, Artanis´s faith in him –his own despair, Melkyelid´s perceptive words, and their terrible argument the day of the King´s festival. And then he remembered his puzzling unability to fathom the idea, punctuated by the visions of the Twins.

As a long, overdue explosion of relief, he felt the pull of laughter gathering also in his lungs. Everything, at last, was as it should be. The paradox had been solved; visions and prophecies would follow their normal course. His destiny was set, once again, in front of him like a beacon of light.

“I was a fool.” she muttered. He nodded, falling upon the bed together with her. Everything seemed so comical now!

“We were fools, both of us. Fools, and unable to look in front of our noses!” And they laughed in unison, unable to care for this either, drunk with excitement and wonder.

That night, they slept beneath his covers, he pressing his face against her womb in an attempt to hear the beating of the heart –hearts!- of the forming bodies. But in his dreams, death and smoke still reigned, and one of the twins was covered by the dark fumes while the other raised a shrill scream.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Outside, the night´s starry mantle shone dimly over the domes and towers of the Three Hill City. The gleam in Her face, veiled by a halo of clouds, lit the steps of the women who perused the streets at midnight like ghosts of powdered cheeks. For an instant, he heard the distant yelp of a beaten dog– bad omen!-, but then there was nothing but the faint sound of the priest´s footsteps as he bowed and left him at the threshold of the Fire.

Careful not to stir the silence, he advanced towards the altar, muttering the prayers that would clean his soul from impurity. When he reached the white flight of stairs, he fell to his knees, prosternating himself thrice in front of the multifacetious, all-consuming giver of all power, the essence of life to which the God himself returned year after year until both were but one.

“The King of fire, of life and death, the son of Eru, Sovereign of Armenelos, will hear his favourite child.” a voice chanted next to his ear in a monotonous whisper. A powerful smell assaulted his nostrils, and humbly, he extended his hands to receive the bronze pot where the sacred herb was slowly dissolving in fumes.

“Bestower of answers...” he muttered. The High Priest rose in a rustle of white robes, and left him alone.

Giving himself a moment to experience the sickness that invaded his very being, he forced his mind to master his body, and plunged inside. At once, the insidious smoke blocked the air away from his lungs, burning his face and bringing him close to the edge. The violent struggles of the deathbed ensued.

A while later, finally, his willpower waned, and he felt his soul start to leave his body as peacefully as if the horror of the Doom held nothing but a gentle sweetness. But before he could surrender to this sensation, in came the full might of his intruder – the Self that penetrated him like the edge of a brilliant sword once that his own self, the self of Ar-Gimilzôr, King of Númenor, Favourite of Melkor and Protector of the Colonies, had crumbled to dust.

The threat has arisen like a canker, both in the East and in the West. From the blood of the crushed serpent, evil will grow anew. The fallen lineage will give birth twice in a year, and weave the threads of our ruin.

Warm limbs writhed upon a cold floor. Each of the details of the dome´s paintings shone like a thousand diamonds under the sun.

A King´s weakness brings many evils to his people. Back then, you were weak. You were selfish. And you were criminal.

He shuddered.

He was my son, he tried to hiss, but the overwhelming presence of the Other smothered this absurd, pretentious individuality. “He” - was nothing. He had no power, he had no lineage, he had no sons, it tore, mockingly, at his insides. He was but an imperfect mirror of the only true King who had existed since the Beginning, born to lend him a face and a voice in the mortal world for a while. He was a part of Númenor itself, and against His will and the Sacred Island´s prosperity there was no affection that was not criminal.

Not even I, powerful among the powerful, can escape Fate, and you are but a mortal. You may disguise your ineptitude behind a thousand clever schemes, but in the end, the sacrifice that you refused to make will come back to haunt you. And fail! the serpent will grow to fill you with horror, until the whole of Númenor is taken by her deadly embrace and you are left, bodiless spirit, alone  to mourn your cowardice.

The voice became silent, and the presence abandoned him with a mighty spasm. Shaken, Gimilzôr struggled to find a point of support, grabbing at the point of a marble step. He was trembling, and the sweat that soaked his face was cold and sticky.

At his feet, the bronze pot had been knocked over with violence during the ritual. The still steaming herbs lay scattered around the floor, and his left hand and arm were covered in angry red burns. He stared at it in morbid fascination for a while, then quickly hid it under the folds of his purple cloak.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Meanwhile, sitting next to the gentle fumes of a perfume burner, a woman raised her eyes to look at the stars. Her glance trailed from one to the other, following their lines –not with the abandon of a dreamer, but the practiced ease of an expert in their science who dutifully mumbled their names as she counted them, in a strange mixture of absortion and respect.

Suddenly, her forehead was creased by a slight frown. Something was out of place in the constellation of the Virgin, a glimmer...  a shooting star?

Little by little, under her silent vigilance, the glimmer grew, until it became a constant glow that mirrored the golden hue of her face. For an instant –had it been a vision?- her placid features were lighted by a feral joy, but it died in a flicker, carefully hiding her secret from the prying eyes of the night.

A gust of cold wind dishevelled her hair. Burying her chin under her blue velvet mantle, she huddled closer to the fire, and caressed her womb with a small smile.

 

The Twins

Read The Twins

 

"Push harder!"

"Queen of the Seas

Mother of All...”

“Here it is! I... I have it!”

“Guide of ships

Mother of All”

Inziladûn heard a sharp growl, among hurried whispers of midwives and the sound of stirred water. Then, the silence.

“Lady of Shadows

Mother of All

Fairer than silver...”

Even the litany died after a while, with the faded voice of a shaking woman. Zarhil, strong as she was, had been terrified to give birth unless the attributes of Uinen were sung by her bedside, but now he did not hear her asking the singer to resume her task. Far in the distance, someone was wailing.

Inziladûn laid his forehead against the cool wood, impatient and worried. A strange feeling of urgence was on him, and he wondered if this was what a man was supposed to feel when his wife was away from his reach, writhing to give birth to his children.

Or was it something else?

The wail became sharper, turning into a scream that pierced even the thick closed doors. Inziladûn went pale, trying to remember where he had heard this sound before. It was high and shrill, and it filled him with an instinctive dread.

Death and smoke... The boy´s eyes widened in fear, as the fumes closed around him. His sister ran towards him. She opened her mouth to let go of an ear-shattering scream....

Seized by panic, Inziladûn knocked at the door. Nobody answered.

“Zarhil!” he cried. He heard a faint stir.

Feeling his determination grow, he pushed harder and harder, until it eventually gave way with a sharp click. A pungent smell of sweat and medicine, mingled with the insidious sweetness of blood assaulted his nostrils. Pieces of white linen were strewn across the floor at his feet, but no one came to greet him.

Suddenly, Inziladûn remembered that empty corridor. His mother´s small and white body, lying on her bed under a violet garment. He recoiled, and yet now as well as back then, the need to know proved greater than the fear.

As his steps led him to the Lie-In Chamber, the wails were already becoming deafening. There was a baby somewhere, of this there was no doubt –his baby, he told himself, torn between conflicting hypotheses. But he heard no other voice, no other wail, no other woman telling Zarhil to push harder until the second child was born. And Zarhil was lying on the bed, her eyes staring into nowhere.

“Zarhil!” he cried, rushing towards her. They have killed her and fled, was the first idea that formed in his mind when he found no one at her bedside. Trembling, he took her callused hand into his – and felt a slow, steady pulse bring back life to his deathly pallor.

“Zarhil.” he repeated several times, as if the very name had the power to dispel the shadows. She stirred a little, mumbling something incoherent. “Zarhil.”

Now that his most pressing concern had been answered, the awareness of what surrounded him returned little by little, as if he was waking up from a dream. The sheet where he was sitting was smeared with dark bloodstains. Around him, the room lay in an abandoned disorder of dirty water tubs, towels and ceramic jars, except for a lone woman who cradled a wailing creature in her arms.

As his attention turned sharply towards her, he saw her flinch, and pull back until her back was pressed against the stone wall. She could not be older than twenty-five, with a pale round face, and dark eyes that widened in fear. A book of litanies was lying on the floor at her feet.

“What happened?” he asked her. She shook her head, pressing the crying child against her chest. His impatience grew.

“Speak! Where are the others?”

“It was not me.” she muttered. The baby´s noise smothered the sound of her words, and she tried again, louder. “It was not me! I did not... help the Princess give birth. I... I was here to read...”

The panic, momentarily quenched as he saw that Zarhil was alive began to grow in his chest anew. He wanted to grab that woman and search her glance for the truth of what she had seen, of what had frightened her so deeply.

But then, she was holding his child in her arms like there was no other protection left to her.

“Come forth.” he tried again, in a kinder, reassuring voice. “I will not harm you.”

She made a nervous gesture of denial –obviously, she did not believe him. Little by little, she seemed to be reaching some kind of determination, and struggled to stand up. Eyeing him warily all the time, she tiptoed towards an ivory cradle that stood some three metres away from Zarhil´s bed. Inziladûn´s attention shifted towards it, and he saw that a wrapped bundle was lying on top of the purple covers.

His sense of foreboding increased.

The young woman took the crying child, and carefully laid it next to the bundle. As if taken by a powerful spell, the wailing immediately ceased.

“This is your daughter.”she said. Then, before he could react, she made a quick bow and ran past the door, raising her long silk sleeves with trembling hands.

Inziladûn swallowed deeply, but did not follow her. Instead of this, he knelt next to the cradle, and picked up the bundle to unwrap it with a heavy heart. The baby –the girl- started wailing anew, the same, broken-hearted sound of the twin of her dreams.

His son was dead.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It was useless to attempt a pursuit, even an investigation of those women´s whereabouts. A peek at the next room showed Inziladûn the existence of another door, which they had no doubt used before to flee. And then, there were so many enigmas, so many questions floating over the silent emptiness of the room. How had it happened? Had it been one of them, several, or all? Had they been bribed?

There was only one person in Númenor who would inspire them with the sacrilegious audacity of killing a royal prince. One, who would not suffer him to have male heirs. The King´s bloodied hands at the sacrificial altar came back to his mind, and before he could even feel pain, he felt sick.

Zarhil´s eyes opened soon afterwards. At first, she began to move restlessly in her bed, muttering incoherences and fragments of litanies –had she been drugged? Then, she saw him, and immediately asked for her two children.

In other circumstances, Inziladûn would have carefully reflected on what should be said to a sick woman and what should better be left in silence. But the baby´s corpse, pale and swollen, was still in front of his eyes.

“He is dead”, he said simply, in a toneless voice. Zarhil´s eyes widened, and she let go of a strangled cry.

“Give him to me!” she demanded, tearing at the sheets in an attempt to lift her body to a sitting position. Alarmed, Inziladûn ran towards her, just in time to prevent her from falling off the bed.

“Zarhil...” he began, holding her down. She tried to struggle, but she was too weak, and her well-honed muscles were as little help to her as her desperation. Her head thrashed from left to right, like an injured lion in a wall painting. “Zarhil, he died in childbirth...”

“I heard him!” she yelled. “I heard him cry! He was alive!”

He swallowed, livid. Only the sense of purpose needed to calm her down could prevent him from letting go of his grief and nausea. His mouth opened several times, trying to find words to explain the horror of what had happened –until a terrible certitude assailed him, and put an end to his frenzied attempts.

She should not know. Nobody should know about this, ever.

“Yes. He was alive.” he nodded, with studied calm. “But he was the.... last to be drawn out from you. The birth was difficult, and he was suffocated. Soon after he was born, he died.”

She stared at him, uncomprehending.

“It was said that you were too old to withstand a double birth. “he lied. “We should count ourselves lucky that you survived.”

His very innards trembled at the hurt in her expression.

“It was my... my fault, then? Is that what you mean?”

“No!” he cried. She seemed to have gone limp under his restraining efforts, so he moved aside and let her go. Tears welled in her eyes, but she did not move. “It was nobody´s fault. You did what you could, they did what they could. Our son did what he could. But he could not survive.” Lies, all of them, lies. A monster´s deadly poison lived in the Palace. Shaking, he held on to the only thing that was true, and uncontrovertible. “It was not your fault, Zarhil.”

The woman shook his head. Suddenly, in an unexpected movement, she grabbed his sleeve with a white-knuckled grip, and pulled him towards her. Afraid that despair would bring her to violence, he tried to hold her again, but to his surprise she merely fell in his arms. Her body shook with sobs.

Inziladûn did not know anymore if he was comforting her or himself, but cradling this woman of rough skin and dishevelled grey hair made the most immediate knot in his throat untangle. After a long while, he pried away from her, and picked the living baby from the cradle.

She had begun to wail again, thrashing with her hands and feet as if she was trying to escape from something that his eyes could not see. Darkly, he wondered if she would ever be free from the evil whose shadow had already touched her.

Zarhil was wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, and he sat next to her, laying their daughter in her arms. At first, there was nothing but a distant awareness, slowly building in her eyes as she looked at her. After a while, however, fear came to her eyes, and with it the first spark of love for the child that had been about to die. She extended a tentative finger towards her.

“Feed her.” he whispered in her ear. A shaken hope lit her face for a moment at the proposition, but it soon disappeared.

“It is not my place. “She grimaced bitterly. “And I - I probably do not have milk anymore.”

You were too old to withstand a double birth.

He cursed at himself.

“Nobody cares about that. Feed her.” he said, in a stronger tone. “See! She wants you to feed her. She is your daughter.”

Tentatively, Zarhil manouevred her in what she thought to be the right position. The baby´s face was red from her ininterrupted crying, and yet she writhed and tried to twist backwards from her grip. Zarhil´s hands shook in renewed terror.

“I will drop her. She will die, too.”

“She will not.” Taken by a strong determination, he took the child in his own arms while she clumsily bared her breast. In such an awkward moment, he felt glad that they were alone.

At last, the child was ready to be laid again on her mother´s lap. Zarhil watched him do it in quiet fascination, and only when he tugged at her sleeve she realised that she had to lift her in her arms. The process of adjustement was slow, but finally the baby could find the way to her first source of food.

The woman´s expectation was tense, and painful. It felt as if everything in her world, her pain, her exhaustion, and even her grief for her dead child, had been reduced for a moment to this only object of her care and anxiety – the fragile child´s elusive face and a pale breast.

Then, the wailing fell into silence. To Inziladûn´s marvel, and as if she had always known what she had to do, the baby pressed her mouth against her mother, and began to suck.

A smile broke upon Zarhil´s face.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

We must trust the will of Ilúvatar.

He was aware that the easiest thing would be to lose faith. To turn his back on the one who had not wished or had not been able to prevent it from happening.

And still, deep inside his soul, he knew that this would be nothing but a foolish simplification. It was the immediate, beastly, naked logic of any of the thousands who sacrified to Melkor and Uinen. To give in order to receive. To receive in order to give. Divine figures built by men and for men, with the only mission of fulfilling their desires.

His friends, the Exiles, had taught him to recognise the true gods by their names and attributes. For long, Inziladûn had listened to their teachings, but though he held every single one of their words in high honour, there had always been a doubt that he had kept to himself.

For him, -and in this he had also clashed with Maharbal- the true gods did not answer to the vulgar requests of Men. They were the creatures of his vision, sitting on their thrones of light while their glances encompassed the whole world. The imperfect soul of Man, bereaved of the immortal brilliance of the fëar of Elves, could not reach their heights unless it could be possible to purify oneself so completely that all the shameful human thoughts and urges would fall to one´s feet like a discarded garment. The anguish, the longing that he felt were the curse of his Elven blood, but his human heritage was too corrupted.

Eärendur, back when he still lived, and Valandil, had reluctantly agreed with this. They had added that not even all Elves could reach the purity of the Valar anymore, and that many had lived -and still lived- in Middle-Earth as exiles. The Valar, after all, were also creatures like them, and they had their limits. But, they had added, Ilúvatar was Father of All, and there was no place that he could not reach, or voice that he could not hear.

For a time, Inziladûn´s skepticism had held this belief at arm´s length. It was not that he thought that Ilúvatar would be unable to hear him – Ilúvatar could not be unable to do anything – but his awakened disgust for the vulgar materialism of the false religion had made him recoil from the idea of maintaining such a relationship of giving and asking with the Creator of the World. How could Ilúvatar accept a cow in exchange for bringing someone luck in a naval expedition without destroying the very concept of what He was supposed to be? How could He let a man believe that he did not depend on his own actions, but on an invisible providence that could be paid in gold? Would such a concept not destroy whatever good was left in this world, a good that He himself had created?

And yet, this view, and he had to admit it with a renewed sense of shame, was not what had guided his thoughts and actions for all his life. Man was weak, and the common sense of youth hard to keep while facing the perils of the adult world. The sincere beliefs of the Western line – beliefs that had kept them alive, but theirs were not the same fights as his- had crept into his heart, and he had come to relate things with the divine providence that he had once despised. After all, wasn´t the Wave dream a proof of its existence? Would they be fighting to save a sinking world if not for His mercy? And to save Númenor, Ilúvatar had to save him first. His reign would bring a change to the World of Men; he had been chosen for this since his birth granted him both the Sceptre and the ability to find the truth.

Alas! he had failed to see in time how this belief would weaken him. Instead of fighting, he had simply accepted, feigned, and waited. He would be given the means, the Sceptre, the heir that he needed, he would triumph no matter what his father or his allies did. And with an exalted, confident heart he had become unworthy of his mission, allowed the servants of Melkor to weave their insidious nets around his future reign, and now, terrible wake-up call, the last and most sacrilegious of all crimes had taken place in front of his nose.

It was his fault, and no one else´s. The death of this unfortunate child with no name would even be a small price to pay for the realisation that he had to fight or perish. That in this world of murder and strife, in this world where his own father had his son strangled in his mother´s womb for the sake of his policies, things would never come to lay themselves upon his outstretched hand without pain and sacrifice.

He could hate Ilúvatar. But in the end, he had to be brave and hate himself.

Could it be said, he wondered, that it was already too late? Were their hopes meant to be quenched by this terrible blow? His heart twisted in his entrails, remembering his beloved mother´s suffering, and the sacrifice of their kin. They had understood well enough, and in spite of their beliefs, never lowered their guard. Would all their struggles be for nothing?

There have been three ruling Queens in Númenor before. He had thought that once in the first years of their marriage, flippantly, because with all those years ahead of him and the arrogance of youth he had not thought there would be a real need. But now, it came back at him. For he would never have sons, and only his daughter had been considered harmless enough to live.

This, if nothing else, showed that his father –for the first time, he felt nauseated at the title- was not posessed by a mindless evil, but filled with a cunning purpose. In this decadent Númenor, the great Ancalimë was seen as little more than a legend, and the last woman who had claimed a right to the Sceptre had been abandoned, by all but a few, to a terrible fate. Custom had become stronger than the ancient laws that Aldarion established before the decline, and nobody would fail to find ludicrous and intolerable that a woman, who was banned from all public offices except priesthood, could rule the Island as Queen. The God King was male; no female could be his reflection.

Inziladûn swallowed, suddenly overwhelmed by a feeling of helpless tenderness as he lay eyes upon his daughter. For days and nights she had been crying, unable to find rest even in dreams, until he had the occurrence of showing her Inzilbêth´s jewel. The baby had stared at it, mesmerised, and immediately held two enticed little hands towards the shiny thing. Worried at first, Inziladûn had finally allowed her to have it, checking that it had no cutting edges and that it was too large for her to swallow. She had calmed down then, to his surprise, sucking at the jewel with her toothless mouth. And when those eyes, wide and serene, had been lifted towards him for the first time, he had realised with a start that they were the eyes of his mother.

How could she, this baby, have the strength to fight the Merchant Princes, the false gods and the zealous evil of her own family? How could she, like the unfortunate Alissha, be thrown into the middle of a cruel war between kinsmen, and prevail? Inzilbêth, who had always smiled, who had always been strong for her son, had perished in one of these dark halls. Would this child, who had already seen death with her own eyes, have to fight those shadows one day?

She will not, he thought, feeling a fierce determination fill him with a new strength. Because when she grew up, this tainted world would not exist anymore. He was still there and he would bring the change to Númenor, no matter the pain and no matter the cost. Not even if he were to die in the attempt would he try to flee his fate or lament it.

One day, his daughter would be the fair Queen of a peaceful land, beacon of light for all kindreds, where the ancient arts would recover their ancient splendour under the guidance of the Immortals and nobody would try to take what was hers by violence.

Suddenly, he felt as if the purpose that he had lacked until today had come crashing upon him at last.

“My lord, it is the hour.”

Inziladûn forced himself to abandon his musings, and gave a brief nod to the Second Royal Nurse, who held the child in her arms. Careful not to wake her, he pried the jewel away from his daughter´s fingers.

“Let us enter, then.”

He was ready.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

When they entered, the King was already sitting upon his throne. At his left and right, the Palace Priest of Melkor – Inziladûn´s old teacher Hannon-, the Keeper of the Chapel of Ashtarte-Uinen and the Seer waited, in perfect ceremonial gravity. No one else had been summoned: as the child had been born female, it had been ruled that the ceremony should be a private one, far from the indiscreet glances of strangers.

In perfect calm, Inziladûn took the child from the woman´s arms, and knelt to wait for the summons. As he heard his name being called, he stood up with downcast eyes, and handed the sleeping bundle to Hannon.

The priest made no comment. Softly chanting a prayer, he unwrapped the baby until she was fully naked, then took her by both hands and skillfully held her over the flames of the sacred fire. This woke her up at once, and soon her scared wails were resonating in the ears of everyone in the room.

Nobody moved.

Next, it was the Keeper who took hold of her. Accompanied by the repetitive words of a litany, he submerged her in the Queen´s holy water. Her cries were choked and resumed several times, until Inziladûn began to fear that she would drown. He had to do a great effort not to interrupt the ceremony.

Finally, she was given to the Seer, who had already inhaled those vapours that, according to the late Eärendur, increased the natural gift of foresight of Elros´s line even as they drowned its truth under a stream of false hallucinations. The man, a prematurely aged creature with a pale face and bags under his eyes, stared in many directions with a haunted look. His hands were shaking.

“There is a woman... no! A goddess, standing upon the white peak of a mountain. “he muttered, in a hoarse voice that did not seem to belong in his mouth and that brought a shiver to Inziladûn´s spine. The King and the priests listened to him with reverence. “Her hair is black, like the wings of a raven. She is fairer than silver, and ivory, and pearls.” That accursed litany, again. “She looks into the horizon. She looks at the sea. She...”

Suddenly, the man was taken by violent convulsions. He stumbled, and fell, but did not cry as the cold floor struck his left shoulder. The others watched him in silence, calmly waiting for him to stand up and resume his prophecy.

But he shook his head, refusing to speak.

“I can see no further. Everything is dark.” he muttered. From the corner of his eye, Inziladûn saw Ar-Gimilzôr frown, but it did not last more than a second.

“Praised be the gods of Númenor.” he said. The others answered in unison, and he nodded. “You may leave. Inziladûn - stay, and bring me the child.”

At those casual words his son froze, in spite of all his previous resolutions. The moment had come. The time to give a step forwards, raise his glance – and meet the man who had killed his son face to face.

To his somewhat irrational shock, Gimilzôr did not look any different from the man he remembered since his childhood. His face was still the perfect mask of royalty, with lips pursed in a firm line, a high, slightly pointed chin and carefully arranged dark curls. His expresionless black eyes took a warmer tinge as he laid them on the baby, who was still bellowing her heart out.

Inziladûn tried to focus on calming her down, muttering words and cradling her in his arms. The nausea he thought he had mastered was coming back in a rush. He frantically wondered if it showed.

“Does she usually cry so much?” the King asked.

“Yes. “Inziladûn replied without thinking. “She... has good lungs.”

Ar-Gimilzôr extended his arms to receive the child. In spite of his revulsion, Inziladûn was forced to surrender her to him, but the King merely looked at her in fond attention.

“She is a beautiful and healthy child. You are to be congratulated, Inziladûn. Have you already thought of a name for her?”

The Prince nodded. The feeling that he had experienced when he had first seen her calm down and stare at him, chewing at Inzilbêth´s jewel grew in his mind until it took a definite shape.

Míriel.

“Zimraphel. Her name will be Zimraphel.”

Ar-Gimilzôr nodded in approval.

“An appropriate name. For she will be the fair jewel of our house, the first woman to have been born to the lineage of Ar-Adunakhôr.”

Even though he had to raise his voice to be heard above the ruckus caused by the baby, he still kept giving the same studied inflection to each and every one of his words. Fascinated by it, Inziladûn had the sudden crazy notion that nothing of this had ever happened, that the King was nothing but a caring grandfather who was seeing his granddaughter for the first time. A part of him refused to believe that this nauseating normalcy could be feigned, that such an everyday conversation could hide a murder, and a growing feud.

Could it be true? Could his father be such a monster?

...Hail the Father who sacrificed his son...

An old religious text crept into a corner of his brain, clear and insidious. The expression that crossed his features should have alerted Gimilzôr of the fact that something was amiss, because he handed Míriel back to him with a frown.

“You do not look well.” he stated. Inziladûn made a brief attempt at protesting, but it died in his mouth before it could acquire any coherence. “About what happened to the other baby... it was a tragedy. Our family is grieving with you.”

Inziladûn could do nothing but nod this time. Míriel, who had finally calmed down upon finding herself back in his arms, writhed back and buried her face in his sleeve. The resulting silence was positively deafening.

“He was to be the heir to the throne of Númenor. As such, he will be buried with the Kings in the caves of the Meneltarma, and a full month of mourning will be decreed.”

A vision of the swollen corpse of his son came to the Prince´s mind. For a moment, he wondered how he would look after he was dissecated and embalmed, and covered in finely sculpted plates of gold to live a life of eternity.

The idea disgusted him. That a child who had not been allowed five minutes of life would be made to endure centuries of preserved sleep, that someone who had been so little would last so much – there was a kind of horror in it, but still not as much as the look of sympathy in the King´s eyes.

He would do this to show the people of Númenor that his elder son´s lineage was cursed, and quench his remorse at the same time. Again, as always, the remarkable ability to accomodate everything to his policies– everything, except the existence of this grey-eyed stranger who had sworn that he would stop the evil that was spreading through Númenor.

Again, Inziladûn´s confidence grew, but this time out of a terrible feeling of dissociation. He bowed to the man who sat upon the throne.

Hail the Father who sacrificed his son...

He, not his unfortunate child, was the son who should have been sacrificed. Inziladûn did not know when Gimilzôr had seen this for the first time, if it had been back when he was born, or that other day –so vivid in his memory- when they were talking in the Princess´s gardens, and he had suddenly seen the horrible change in the eyes of a father with whom he had been having an enjoyable conversation. Yes, he thought, it should have been that day, the last time that he had seen any love in Gimilzôr´s eyes, little before his brother had been conceived. And though back then he had not understood, and felt hurt, now it was as clear to him as the gleaming blue crystal of the Elven stone in his pocket.

Gimilzôr had known. With the foresight of their race, he had seen that his son would one day despise the world that he and his ancestors had made, and that he would be summoned to destroy the last stone of the tainted edifice built by their hands. He was trapped in darkness, cursed to defend it until his death, while the child with penetrating eyes who innocently feared his cold glance would one day bring light and purity to their world.

They were born enemies. And now he knew, too.

“I thank you for yor generosity, my King, but I respectfully decline. “he said, formally. “It might not be advisable for the people of Númenor to learn about a weakness in our lineage.”

If Ar-Gimilzôr was surprised at his words, he did not show any sign of it. He merely nodded.

“Your counsel is sound. It shall be done as you request.”

And that was all. As soon as he had pronounced those words, he made the customary gesture of dismissal, and Inziladûn found himself bowing in reverence to the throne and walking out of the hall. Outside, the Second Royal Nurse was waiting; he took the baby –who had fallen asleep again-, and handed it to her.

That night, for the first time in a week, he felt calm. His head was clear, the customary nightmares did not assault him in his sleep, and to his surprise, he did not even resent the King for the role he had to play.

 

Rise of the Golden Star

Read Rise of the Golden Star

In his life, there had been so many gifts that he had wasted in foolishness. Wasted, misapplied, or –as it had happened with his intelligence- cultivated for the wrong reasons. He remembered that eerie night in the Elvish city, when all his purposes had been reduced to seeing the sea-grey eyes widen in recognition and fear. How he had been read – and how wouldn´t he-, and his most shameful desires used, to make him betray what he should have held dear.

It could be said that she had been the one who had saved his soul from a fate of perpetual escaping, of laughter that rung false, of empty words and the slow, insidious final corruption. Saved him from his old nightmare, only to throw him into a long and elaborate dream of her own making. She – nothing but a three year old girl when he had first heard about her, a young thing of nineteen when they married, though he still hadn´t guessed the true age of her soul beneath the slight, measured smiles. The barbarian, as the Court had nicknamed her in derision before they also fell under her spell.

And yes, a barbarian she was indeed. A strange creature who burned perfume, prayed quietly to the Goddess while they embraced at night, and read her fate in the stars. An enigma for him, as she walked with hips that moved with a daring, sensuous cadence that belied the mild look in her eyes. Day by day, year by year, she had persuaded him to let her share his troubles, personal and political, and often offered him words of wise counsel, but the naive and the irrational had never faded entirely from the core of her heart.

Do you know what my name means? That night she had smiled in childish joy, pressing her brilliant cheek against his. It means “Bearer of the King.”

At first, he had refused to listen. He had been angry, and self-righteous. But, through the years, even this had become another of the golden nets in which the lovely barbarian had ensnared him.

Treason? Her ringing laugh, so quiet when she was in front of strangers. Why treason? Can it be treason, if it is what the King wants?

And that other night, nine months ago, Gimilkhâd remembered the soft poison that oozed from the shadows of the Palace´s halls. The tension, cut here and there by the edge of a black knife in the eyes of an onlooker, who immediately lowered them with fright and fled in a rustle of silk robes. His father, his brother, and the dead baby that lay between them like a silent scream.

When he arrived to his chambers, trying to banish remembrances from his mind, she had been there, quietly waiting for him to arrive. Her dress had been a flowing green silk; she had perfumed her hair as if she was performing in a ceremony.

“I wish to be with you tonight.”

“I am tired.”

“No.” A look of determination crossed her soft brown eyes, and she pointed at the window with the unquestionable conviction of children and people who talked with the gods. “Tonight is the night.”

She had made him surrender to her fantastical prophecies, back then. And now, lying in bed like a triumphant queen with a gleaming forehead, she acknowledged him with a smile of joy.

“He has come.” she said simply.

He was sprawled upon her lap, his cheek resting against the curve of his mother´s stomach. His tiny eyes were wide open, already endeavouring to explore his surroundings. The colour of his skin was his mother´s rare golden, and for a moment he had the mad hallucination that the whole baby was a sceptre that she held in her hands.

He has come.

Filled with an almost religious awe, he sat down at her side, and extended a finger towards the baby. It trembled a little, and he irreflexively cursed between his teeth for showing this weakness.

It was a baby. Nothing more. His baby, his son... the third heir to the Sceptre.

“Isn´t he magnificent?” she muttered. Gimilkâd had never heard such a fanatical adoration in her voice before, not even in the endearments that she used to whisper in his ears. “Radiant, like the golden star that watched over his birth. No – like the Sun itself, like the three jewels in the Great God´s crown!”

Gimilkhâd drew closer to the baby, who seemed to realise for the first time that he was there. He blinked reflexively – and suddenly, his father felt the irrational euphoria of Melkyelid tighten around his throat like a knot.

Could it really be true?

Everything, he fancied in the aftermath of his last struggles to escape the pull of the divine enthusiasm, could be as easy, as beautiful as an old legend if he believed in it. His own birth – unlucky, unauspicious, the second serpent that all their ancestors had avoided like a dark curse-, his mother´s rejection –daughter of traitors!-, his brother´s contempt, and even his father´s smothering love. His wedding to the golden barbarian goddess, who bore her fate in her name as she did in her quiet insistence upon the will of the gods.

He could have been born for this. For this –to be the father of the King who would save his lineage from his brother´s impious snares. He would have a mission, and Melkyelid, the priestess of the Holy Mother, would have been the one to guide him through the steps.

Still overwhelmed, he picked up his son, feeling his smooth skin, his arms, his legs, the tuft of dark hair upon the golden head. The baby uttered an irritated yelp, in protest for the intrusion, and began to kick at him. Melkyelid´s smile widened in amusement.

“He already has a character.” Her expression became dreamy, lost in the distance. “One day he will be a great warrior, the terror of the enemies of Númenor...”

Gimilkhâd nodded, unable to let go of the child as if he had been plunged into a trance. The perfection of it all bewildered him, and he felt as if he was standing in reverence upon the altar of the Divine King. He muttered a prayer of heartfelt thanks to Melkor.

Never to feel lost anymore....

Tears welled in his eyes, the first time that he had cried since the day of the red flowers.

King of Light, Lord of the Armies. O Radiant, King of Armenelos.

Out of an impulse, his hand trailed towards the pendant that hung hidden upon his neck, to produce a ring of gold and rubies. And then, full of a fervour that he did not himself understand, he took the object of his imperfect childhood desires, the price of his treason and folly, and reverently laid it at the feet of his newborn son.

 

Three-way Destiny

Read Three-way Destiny

 

(I)

 

The hall was silent. In the midst of its empty greatness she sat embracing her knees, a child surrounded by raging battles of stone. Her black eyes followed the sculpted movements, the joy and the grief of faces that had been frozen forever while they died, while they killed, while they celebrated their greatest victory.

Her forehead creased in a frown, as if listening for their ghostly cries in the darkness. The old nurse suppressed an involuntary shiver, and stepped forwards until she was at the little girl´s side.

“What are you doing, my lady?” she asked. The Princess did not move. Her features were pale, like another of those statues whose brightly-painted eyes were like unsettling beacons against the white marble of their faces.

For a moment of crazy hallucination, the woman felt as if the hall of Ar-Adunakhôr´s battle reliefs was the true home of this silent girl. The lack of contrast was seamless, as she sat quietly, calmly, surrounded by the figures set in stone.

Then, however, the thought passed, and the furtive shiver came back once again. That girl... that princess... no, there was no way to know how those things could affect her unfortunate soul.

Resolutely, she stepped in front of her.

“My lady.” she said. Zimraphel´s eyes seemed to pass through her, and this unsettled her even further. She laid a hand over the tiny shoulder.

“My lady Zimraphel, you know that you are not allowed outside your chambers! You- may hurt yourself.” she added in a whispered tone, swallowing deeply.

The Princess blinked. Then, as if they had just been sitting together for a while, she wrinkled her nose and sent an inquiring look in her direction.

“Who is she?” she asked. Somewhat relieved, and used to her charge´s changes of mood, the old lady studied the relief in front of her.

It depicted a beautiful, raven-haired woman, raising her eyes to the sky while she was dragged across the floor by two soldiers. Her robes were painted in vivid tones of violet, striking a contrast with the subdued golden and ochre of the rest of the figures.

The nurse gave a slow nod.

“This is Alissha the Traitor.”

She did not plan to add more, but Zimraphel began to pull at her sleeve with a methodical insistence.

“And what did she do?”

After a while, she was forced to surrender with a sigh.

“She tried to claim the Sceptre, though she was a woman and an Elf-friend. Ar-Adunakhôr and the Great God Melkor defeated her, and she was punished for her impudence.” She took a sharp breath. “But you are too young yet to hear such stories.”

“Did she die?” the girl asked still, with that kind of consuming absortion that seemed unable to see or hear anything else. The old nurse stared at her in shock.

“Yes. She died.” she muttered, in a voice that was almost too low for herself to hear. Then, with a renewed feeling of urgence, she stood up and beckoned to her. “Come. We must leave now.”

The Princess looked away, back to her original indifference.

“If the Second Royal Nurse learns that you have been here, you will be punished.”

The threat was ignored. Which was not really surprising, because that girl was never punished. Everybody was overwhelmed by pity as they gazed upon those eyes, huge and stirring yet cursed with the shadow of an invisible illness.

“The Princess Zarhil will come to visit soon.” she tried again. In spite of her mother´s deep devotion towards her, Zimraphel did not even blink.

Exasperated, the old woman grabbed at the girl´s hand, and forced her to stand up. Her fingers felt cold, and humid from the stone floor.

“Let us go.” she ordered. The Princess followed her with small steps, but as they crossed the Western gates of the hall, the nurse saw her turn back to gaze at the distant violet spot one more time.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

(II)

 

The lines of his hands were starting to dim, blurred by the waning light. Above his head, flocks of seagulls filled the skies with their piercing cries, and he knew that in the West the sun was already sinking under the waves. He remembered the times he had seen it looking like a ball of burning fire, magnificent and red before the final plunge.

In this city, the sun was different, a white explosion of light that blinded the eyes as it rose triumphantly from behind the towers. The reflection of its rays gave a strange metallic quality to the sea of the merchants, that somehow felt harsh, vivifying; unwelcome.

Back in Andúnië, his family had said that with the passing years he was growing closer to the Elf than to the Man that they all had in their blood. Númendil, the Half-Elf, they called him in jest, smiling in indulgence as he grew absorbed by the slightest details of the shifting world around him. Life had always had a different quality for them than for him. Everything that happened was slower, blunter, less immediate - and sometimes he had felt as if the paths he was treading were different from theirs altogether.

When they were exiled without trial, and imprisoned in this harbour of merchants, his wife had thought that their activity and turmoils would affect him most of all. But then, she had been the one who broke down first, sobbing with longing for their quiet twilight world, their gardens on the nest of the mountain and the love of their kin. Eärendur had preferred to lay down his old life rather than being exiled twice; as for the whereabouts of his parents and his sister, the Sorian merchants would not tell. He had comforted Emeldir the best that he could, telling her that they had been allowed to keep each other, but in truth he felt the pulls of reality with a distant quality that he could not himself explain.

It was as if he had fallen into a long sleep, like some animals did when winter robbed them of food and warmth. From his terrace, he silently watched the comings and goings of loud-voiced men with colourful robes, the shipping of soldiers in warships headed for Middle-Earth and the evolutions of the crying gulls, and yet nothing of this affected him, like the mad dance of visions in his night dreams. The echoes of loving voices did not fade from his mind; he knew that they would meet again.

Far in the distance, he heard the noise of birds, but not gulls this time. The sound made him glad, for he loved those small, dark sterlings that curled under the cornice of the towers at this time of the year. They were like him; dwellers of the aerial realm, banished from the hostile comings and goings of the streets that lay under their feet.

In a month, those birds would be gone in search of a kinder climate. And he would remain, waiting for signs of their return.

“Father!”

Númendil froze at the voice, momentarily taken by the unpleasantness of awakening. Out of an instinct he closed his eyes, like a boy who wanted to sleep only five minutes more before he was awakened for his lessons, but he was not allowed to do so. A small yet strong hand pulled at his robe.

“Father!”

Resigned, he opened his eyes again, and was electrified by the shock of two bright grey eyes brimming with life. His musings became blurred, unreal again. Then, his son grabbed at his hand, and the fire finally flew from the sparks.

Amandil. Sometimes, Númendil wondered if he had grasped the notion that this quick spirit, this boy who protested in outrage when he did not receive an immediate answer and ran like a whirlwind around the house had been born from Emeldir and him. Back when she held him as a newborn baby in her arms, he had just marvelled at her happiness, and wondered how such a small and squirming thing could bring such comfort to a person.

It was only when he started to grow, and Númendil felt pulled into his vivid world of shouts, laughs and cries, when he had realised that this child offered him the harsh yet precious gift of a Man´s life. And for this he had loved him, more than he did his wife or kin.

“Amandil.” he said, looking down at him. “What is it, child?”

The boy was frowning deeply. His clouded expression brought a feeling of alarm to the slowly awakening conscience of his father.

“I want to go out.” he announced. Númendil stared at him, uncomprehending.

“Out of here!” the boy clarified, as if he was talking to a dimwit. “Leave this place and see the city! And the other cities, too. Mother says that the West is very beautiful.”

“Amandil...” his father began, then felt the words trail away from his mouth as they did from his mind. What could he say to such a thing? He felt belatedly aware that he should have expected the question at some point, from so curious a child, but whenever the boy was with him he was robbed of the ability to think. “We cannot go out, my son.”

The boy´s frown became a scowl.

“Because of those fat, vile, Morgoth-worshipping merchants? What can they do to stop us?”

Númendil swallowed. What had Emeldir told him?

“This is not a polite thing to say about our hosts.”

Amandil crossed his arms over his chest, defiant.

“But it is true! Mother said it!”

“Those people... “

Númendil sighed, then sought for a way to rephrase it. Before Amandil´s birth, nobody had shot questions at him that quickly. He had never grown used to it –questions about birds, about plants, about battles, about the Valar, about the seasons, and the inevitable bout of exasperation at his delay.

“Listen to me, my son.” he said, picking him up and sitting him on his knees. The boy squirmed a little until at last he found a comfortable position. “West of here lies a city, the greatest and most powerful in the whole of Númenor. There, upon the tallest hill, is the Palace, home of our King, who holds the Sceptre of Elros Tar-Minyatur.”

“I know about the Sceptre!” Amandil protested. Númendil´s lips curved in a faint smile.

“Then, you know also that we of the Line of Elros are bound to it, no matter what happens.” The boy nodded reluctantly. “We must obey the King who holds the Sceptre in Armenelos, even if he orders us to remain here.”

“Is he a Morgoth-worshipper, too?”

The heir to the former Lord of Andúnië sighed.

“One day, a King who honours the Valar will call us back, and give us our freedom, lands and honours.” he said instead, allowing his eyes to wander in the twilight shadows. “You will see all those cities then, and you will be a great lord.”

“And I will ride to war!” the boy nodded enthusiastically. Númendil stared at him in shock, wondering how such an idea could have got into his head. No member of the Western line had seen a battle since the days of the civil strife, and there was none who had wished to seek such violence.

Violence...

As he was thinking this, he fell the pull of a vision start to grip him with cold fingers. He saw a sword, driven into a curled shape that lay on a bed. An altar of fire, and a boy who stared at the flames, terrified. The howling of a wolf.

Worried, he cradled his son´s face with his hand.

“There is no need to be so impatient. A man must learn to wait, and observe the world that lies in front of his eyes. Look.” he whispered in his ear, directing his little chin towards the neighbouring tower where most of the sterlings had already fallen asleep. “Do you see those birds, who hide under the cornice?”

Do you see how they become confounded with the shadows as night falls, do you care for the skill of patiently tracing the flapping of their wings in the dark?

But Amandil shook his head.

“I do not care for birds. I want to go out now.”

Now.

Númendil´s premonition became stronger, with a sense of urgence that tore at his insides. Danger, fear, bereavement. Loneliness.

Death.

“No, my child.” he pleaded, holding him so close that Amandil squirmed and protested. “Please, stay here with me. Stay here, and be safe.”

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

(III)

 

 

Once, when he had been very, very little, he had been afraid of the darkness of the corridors. After all, any kind of creature could be lurking in the corners where his eyes did not reach, watching his footsteps. He did not fear being attacked, but not knowing what lay in the shadows made him nervous and uneasy.

Later, as he grew older, he had liked to imagine shapes for those creatures. They had become Orcs with ugly animal faces, holding bloody axes in their claw-like hands, and ghostly Elves who tried to ensnare him with their fell sorcery. He had believed himself a great captain, fought them bravely until he stood alone with a smile, and the corridor was empty.

In silent trepidation, he watched now the imposing gates of the Western Wing. The green jasper columns were so big that three men wouldn´t be able to embrace one of them with outstretched arms, and their palm-shaped capitals sustained a huge structure of gold architraves and black ebony statues. He imagined that those were the gates of Mordor, crowded with dark-skinned Orcs who guarded the realm of their master. Or maybe the doors of the Elven palace of Lindon, where men wandered lost, taken by a spell of oblivion as soon as they laid eyes upon them.

But not him. The armies of Númenor were waiting for his signal, and he would bring them to a great victory. Feeling his heart brim with renewed courage, he walked inside, refusing to feel intimidated by the imposing proportions of the façade.

Slowly, he forced his breathing to still. He found himself in a great hall, almost as huge as the throne room where his grandfather sat among hundreds of kneeling courtiers. An endless sucession of painted figures in relief covered the walls, and for a while, he could do nothing but stand gaping at them. A fleet of swift warships sailed the Great Sea, an army stood assembled upon the Eastern shores. Orcs, Elves and barbarians fled in terror or knelt to pay tributes to the Sea King who had set foot on Middle-Earth. And in the middle of the scene stood he, Ar-Adunakhôr the Great, tall and radiant with his golden armour.

Little Pharazôn swallowed deeply, fascinated. Lost in warlike imaginations, where he was the one who stood in the middle of the stronghold of his vanquished enemies, he almost failed to hear the sound of footsteps upon the stone floor.

“What are you doing here?”

Angry at his carelessness, he stood firmly in place, raising his eyes to meet the enemy who had discovered him. It was a tall lady, whose deep blue robes billowed with the breeze that blew from the gardens that lay behind them. Pharazôn watched the swirls, and fancied that they were the deadly undulations of a dragon´s scaly tail.

“I am Pharazôn, the King´s grandson.” he announced proudly. “And I go where I wish!”

The lady frowned at him, then gave him a curt bow and continued her way. The boy watched her retreating steps, astounded at his easy victory. And to think that he had never dared to step inside this place before!

Feeling his confidence grow, he resumed his conquering march, and headed towards the Western gate that connected the hall with the rest of the wing. The inner gardens were covered by a varnished lattice, behind which he could distinguish softly-running fountains, trees covered in purple flowers and floors of glazed tiles. Disappointed, he thought that those were similar to his mother´s gardens, and decided to leave such a boring place.

Before he could take his eyes away, however, the boy heard a female voice, and froze in place. Pressing his face against the lattice, he saw an old woman in a dark green robe, leading a girl by the hand. As they passed in front of him, the girl turned back briefly, and he saw her face, pale and beautiful like a flower. She looked sad.

Taken by an impulse, Pharazôn tried to push the lattice, but it had been firmly set in place by the best craftmen of the Island many years before he was born. Muttering a curse that he had once heard from an adult, he watched her disappear, and bit his lip hard.

So the Western Wing also had a princess! Turmoil brewed in his young heart as he turned away, wondering at those mournful grey eyes that he had seen for but a moment.

Who was she?

With a last glance to the reliefs of Ar-Adunakhôr, the boy crossed the hall, and then the Gates of the Western Wing. His conquest had been a great one, but it suddenly felt small and meaningless. He had to come back, and find a way to talk to her. He wanted to know her name.

Pressing his knuckles against an invisible sword, he swore to himself that he would, soon.

A Careless Word

Read A Careless Word

Her hands fumbled with the curtain in the dark, as she blinked the clouds of sleep away from her eyes. The sound was growing in urgency and intensity; a long and shrill scream that reverberated across the yard.

Curling up in a grey cloak, Zarhil ran across the garden, ignoring the glances and the voices that whispered behind the shadows. There was light in her daughter´s chambers, and she charged in like a mad fury.

The women who were at the young Princess´s antechamber knelt to offer her a silent bow. She did not waste a moment with them, but instead rushed towards the entrance. Another woman was there –the Nurse-, muttering soothing words.

Zarhil pushed her away as well, and her eyes rapidly sought for the small figure who uttered the terrified screams. She found her crouching, her back pressed against a corner. Crossing the distance between them, she grabbed her hand, and held her down while she struggled and thrashed with a mysterious strength that the quiet girl did not possess during the day.

“Sssssh.” she whispered in a hoarse voice. Tears gathered in her eyes, and one of them trickled down the hard skin of her face. “Mother is here. There is nothing to fear.”

Slowly, the child´s struggles subsided. Her screams died in a choked sob, and two huge eyes flew open, shining in the dark like reflections upon the water of a well.

“You are with Mother.” Zarhil kept crooning in her ear. The girl´s tense limbs relaxed slightly. Little by little, she even grew to accept the intrusion of her caresses, though she did not lean against her.

“You are safe. You had a bad dream.”

Zimraphel shook her head.

“No! I didn´t. I never dream!” An anxious spark twinkled in her eye, and she went back to struggling. “Leave me alone!”

Zarhil dried her face with a swipe of her hand, and tried to smile.

“You did not dream.”she nodded.“You never dream. Please, let me stay with you.”

After the initial fright had passed, the girl´s expression grew void and empty. In silence, she studied her mother´s anxious face as if it was but a mosaic or a painting.

After another while, she turned her back to her, and curled in her silk sheets. Zarhil laid a careful hand across her shoulder, almost expecting rejection, but her daughter did not move again.

Now that everything had settled back into an eerie calm, she felt more than ever the urge to weep against the sheets. Many times, she cursed herself for having allowed her family and the King to take her away from her sea-travels, her ship and her brave sailors, and imprison her on dark chambers where every shadow seemed to grow terrible and threatening. She cursed her own strength, of body and mind, that did not avail her against the spell of a suffering, cruel child.

Zimraphel, the baby that survived, was the only creature that she had ever loved with such a frightening intensity. Her family she had always respected, her sailors she had befriended - her husband she liked enough, whenever she was allowed to forget that he was the man who had taken the Sea away from her. But that fair, frail, fathomless creature who had grown in the Sea Lady´s womb by some poignant irony of fate had become her life. Her weakness inspired her tenderness, her pain made her suffer, her beauty excited her pride and wonder – her disease killed her.

How could such a small thing inspire so much passion?

Taken by an impulse, Zarhil hugged the tiny form. The limbs went rigid again in silent protest, and soon she was forced to give up. Zimraphel had never accepted her mother´s blind love, never favoured her above her nurse or addressed her the words that she had heard his brother´s daughters whisper in their mother´s ears with a girlish smile. One day, as she had rushed back to her after a long and unbearable ceremony, the girl had turned towards the old woman who was combing her hair, and asked who she was.

It was the disease. The disease was at fault for everything, Inziladûn said- and sometimes, Zarhil was sure that there was something else that he was aware of. But who could know for sure? He was even farther from Zimraphel than she was now, as she held her trembling body in her arms at night. Once, he had told her to ask the child if the dream that scared her so much had a wave in it. Zimraphel had merely shaken her head in denial.

A soft sound of fidgeting, coming from the other side of the bed, brought her to open her eyes. The girl was whimpering, caught into one of her horrible dreams. Zarhil cursed again, over and over, choking with the burning impotence of not being able to wrestle the demons away from her.

Lady of the Seas, she muttered an old prayer, in an almost inaudible voice. With her right hand, she caressed over and over the dishevelled threads of her hair. Queen of Ships, help her find her way home.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The summer sun was shining intensely, even though it was still early in the morning. Inziladûn made a signal for his entourage to wait, and entered the comfortable shade of the inner gardens.

His hands fidgeted with the purple folds, that billowed so conspicuously behind his steps. No matter how many times he wore those ceremonial robes, kept his chin high with hieratic dignity and accustomed himself to have so many people around, there was still some wild side of his soul that felt the urge to tear everything away and return to the lonely sanctuary of his youthful studies.

That day would be especially trying, he thought with a frown. The last war against the desert tribes had officially ended, and today the victorious general would bring his prisoners to the King and the people of Armenelos. The people were bad enough –they were always eager to see blood-, but some of those accursed merchants would also be there, and among them Magon of Gadir, kin to the King. Whenever that crafty serpent had access to the King´s ear, be it for an hour or a minute, the Prince of Númenor had to gather all his allies and double his precautions.

“Already in a hurry, Inziladûn?”

The Prince looked at his wife, who was surrounded by three serving ladies. They were arranging the folds of her robes, and giving the last touches to her braided grey hair while they whispered and prattled among themselves.  As they noticed his presence, however, they fell silent.

“We are expected.” he replied, then noticed the bags under Zarhil´s eyes. “You have not slept well tonight.”

The woman shook her head, and a shadow tensed her features for a moment.

“Nightmares.”

Inziladûn swallowed. Whose nightmares those were, he knew it very well.

“Where is she?” he asked then, wondering at the same time at the impulse that brought him to ask that question. He should greet her when he came to visit, a voice whispered inside his mind.

“In her chambers.” Zarhil answered, giving him a surprised frown. Inziladûn nodded, and left her with a muttered indication to hurry that should have rather been addressed to the other women.

As he entered the dark halls, he had to blink several times before he grew accustomed to the new light. Some women abandoned their silent tasks to kneel; the Nurse bowed obsequiously and let him through the door of the antechamber.

Míriel was reading. Her grey eyes were fixed on the pages of an enormous volume in absorbed concentration, and she did not even blink at his entrance. For a moment he stood at the doorstep, wondering at that strange Inzilbêth who had come back to life with an invisible taint.

Back when she was a baby, he had alternatively blamed her disease on her unfortunate birth and her heritage, but years later he had begun to wonder. Crazed ideas crossed his mind, and he fancied that his mother had come back, to stare with huge and enigmatic eyes at those who had killed, buried, and then forgotten her.

In an attempt to dispel his unease, he coughed a little. Conversations with his daughter had grown more and more difficult as the years passed by. She looked at him with cold indifference, and the rare times that she spoke her words made his blood curdle in his veins. Once, she had asked him why did he let her brother die, and no matter who he interrogated about this, everybody swore by the gods that they had not said a single word about the dead twin in her presence.

Month by month, year by year, the frequency of his visits had dwindled. They brought too much pain and puzzlement, and he was too busy to allow her to interfere in his political moves, his bargains for support, and the tenuous relationship with his father. He had left her to Zarhil and her women, who soothed her when she had bad dreams and looked after her in those chambers, carefully hidden from the prying glances and harsh realities of the world outside. With all his soul he wanted her to be happy - and yet, she would never smile to him.

“Míriel.”

“Father.” she echoed. Surprised, he looked at her, and she lifted her glance from the book. He was not used to have her attention so soon.

“What... are you reading?” he asked, feeling as awkward as he had not felt since he was a child and a mad King had stared at him. She frowned, and covered the pages with both hands.

“A book.”

And there it was, again. Her instinctive mistrust pierced his heart, then left nothing in its wake but a cold disappointment.

He took a sharp breath.

“Your mother and I are leaving for a celebration. She will come back at night to visit you.”

Míriel´s voice came out muffled, for she had pressed her face against her protective hands.

“And I cannot go.”

Shocked, Inziladûn gazed lengthly at her, but she did not lift her head up.

“I...” he began, unsure of what to say. He hid behind formality . “I... do not think it would be advisable.”

“I do not care.” she muttered. “I do not want to go with you. Leave me alone.”

The Prince felt a knot gather in his throat. It was the disease. Nothing but the disease, he forced himself to remember. The Curse of Ar-Sakalthôr.

It was not her fault.

“Have a good day, Míriel.”

As he crossed the threshold, and walked the length of the corridor in his way out, he had to force his rigid hands to unclench.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The triumphal celebration took place at the square that stood in front of the Palace. Inziladûn watched the ceremony from the lower terrace, where some of the most powerful men in the realm had gathered around the King and his family.

Hours passed by, without a moment of respite for the chants and shouts. Prayers, sacrifices and dances gave way to a bloodier spectacle, as the enemy leaders were brought forth in chains and their throats slit to the crowd´s delight. Once that they were dead, voices were heard asking, demanding for more. The King nodded, -Melkor would have his due-, and the higher ranked of the barbarians followed suit.

Inziladûn stood in silence, watching the rivers of blood flow from the stabs and the agonical expressions with repugnance. The soul of Man, unlike that of animals, Orcs or Elves, was a battleground where the god and the beast fought a perpetual struggle, the late Maharbal had taught him when he was a child. But at certain moments, when a kind of frenzy spread like a disease from man to man, from woman to woman and child to child, everything that was good was drowned under an animal bloodlust.

Next to him, Pharazôn was doing great efforts to appear brave in front of his family. His face was slightly pale, his jaw clenched, but he did not take his eyes away from the sight. His mother touched his shoulder with a proud smile.

One by one, they came to their ignominious end under the various curses and mockeries of their enemies. Inziladûn shivered. Even worse than the general madness, worse than the blood and the corpses that were taken away by piles, what shook him to the core was their glances just before they died. Their voiceless wonder as they stood in the heart of the Jewel of the West, and forgot knives, crowd and executioner to stare at the shimmering reflections of sunlight in the glazed tiles of the magnificent buildings, the white and ochre towers closing upon them like a beautiful shadow of death, haunted him even as he closed his eyes like a coward.

Once that the last of the bodies was dragged away, Ar-Gimilzôr turned his back to the crowd. The people in the terrace followed him to an improvised banquet under a cover of braided branches of pomegranate trees. There, the victorious general –a nephew of the governor of Sor- was received with honour among the other guests, and was immediately taken under the wing of an insolent merchant whose long curls were held by gold ringlets like those of a woman. Azzibal of Sor, Inziladûn thought in distaste. The man´s father-in-law, asides from a long-standing associate of Magon of Gadir.

Refusing to be distracted, his eyes sought the King in his throne. Gimilzôr was asking them something, with that severe expression that old age had sculpted in his features like a perennial frown. Gimilkhâd stood at his side, dressed in all his finery and crowned by a diadem of rubies. Under the gems, his dark hair shone like Umbarian ebony – the second in the family to require the services of their father´s favourite dyer, Inziladûn thought a little frivolously.

Soon afterwards, he also spotted his main enemy, Magon of Gadir. The fat merchant, dressed with his usual ostentatiousness, was doting on his grandson in the company of his royal daughter and another man. Melkyelid, who wore a flowing dress of yellow and gold with green embroideries, frowned in disapproval at something that her son said, while Magon laughed loud.

“It is yet too soon for you to say such a thing!” he scolded, ruffling Pharazôn´s curly hair.

“Your grandfather is a man of extraordinary honour and renown in Númenor and Middle-Earth.” Melkyelid told her son, vanity surfacing for a moment in her measured tone. Pharazôn stared curiously at the man.

“Do you rule a great kingdom?”

Magon gave a casual shrug, that was not devoid of affectation.

“Indeed. I rule a house in Gadir, and a couple of factories.”

“That is true.” the other, younger man nodded. Inziladûn did not see any similitude in their features, so he assumed that he had to be what those people called an “associate” – which, for them, ranked higher than blood kin. “And yet the most powerful men of Gadir, Sor and Umbar, the coastal outposts and harbours, the tributary barbarians and many nobles of Númenor bow before him and lie in his debt.”

The young prince frowned.

“I do not understand.” he stated, with the bluntness of a child. All the adults laughed.

“One day you will.” Magon sentenced, ruffling his hair again. Inziladûn looked away, before they could see him and trap him with a polite and respectful invitation. Even farther, at the edge of the obsidian balustrade, his wife had spotted him and proceeded to call him with gestures. Talking with her was her brother Zakarbal, lord of Forrostar, and a man that Inziladûn wanted very much to have a talk with.

“Hail, Prince of Númenor!” the man saluted, raising his cup of wine. He answered with a nod, and approached them.

“Zakarbal of Sorontil.” he greeted politely. “I am glad to see that you were invited.”

Those words were not devoid of meaning. It had been some years since their common mistrust for the emerging merchant class, blood ties and a great deal of skill on his part had availed him to win the new lord of the northernmost province for his party, and Ar-Gimilzôr´s insane suspicions had haunted the man´s steps ever since. Zakarbal, a born warrior like his father, and therefore straightforward and not very subtle, did not know how to mince words at Court – and this, together with his reverence for the Númenorean gods was probably the only thing that had saved him from being considered a two-faced viper like the unfortunate people of the Western branch.

Still, the issue that had brought his name to the lips of the courtiers and people of Armenelos of late was of a very different nature. His wife had failed repeatedly to bear him a male heir before she was past the age, and now the prestigious Northern Branch, direct descendants of Tar-Anárion, ended with him. Inziladûn had sketched a plan to solve this problem that would reinforce his party at the same time, but it was very rarely that a high-born noble of the Line of Elros would be willing to listen to talks of adoption.

Zakarbal motioned to a servant, who brought wine to him. Inziladûn accepted it with a smile, but instead of drinking it, he chose to stare into the eyes of his brother-in-law.

“Have you thought about it?” he asked bluntly. The nervous, uneasy shift that ensued told him better than any word that Zakarbal indeed had.

Zarhil drank a sip.

“I... have.” the man finally replied, looking at her. He was too proud to ask for support, but it seemed to Inziladûn that he was encouraging her to speak in some way.

“He was just informing me that he had not found any other solution.” she complied.” I told him that our father´s line could not die, and that if he did not care for it himself, the King soon would.”

“I do not want one of those accursed merchants to be my heir.” Zakarbal mumbled, frowning at the idea. Inziladûn smiled in sympathy, though he was heartened inside.

“I do not think that it would go that far.” he soothed him.

“No? Look around you.” the Northern lord snorted. “They are everywhere. Even at the very feet of the Throne, so why not in my house?”

“Then, all the more reason for us to attack first.” Inziladûn decided. “I have a candidate.”

Zakarbal´s brow furrowed even further. It was obviously a very painful subject to broach for him, a decision that he had only made pushed by an even bigger threat. Inziladûn decided to offer him an arm he could lean on.

“He is from the line of Elros, of course. Son of Shemer, the Southwestern lord, a Council member. One of the very few who has not been bought by our worthy Gold-Makers, in fact, and therefore a natural ally.”

Zakarbal drank again, mulling over these words.

“And... what about his father?”

Inziladûn shook his head.

“The gods are with us. He has a brother. He is scarcely twelve, a very bright lad”, he added, after a moment of thought.

“And strong?” his brother-in-law asked. For the first time in the conversation, he seemed to be taken by the idea.

“And strong.” Inziladûn confirmed, encouraged. “So what? Would you ... agree to meet with him, then?”

The tenuous instant of trust dissolved in a rush, and Zakarbal instinctively recoiled.

“Well... I am heading North this month, as you know. There are many affairs I have to tend to, being the sole lord and King´s attendant at the same time.” he mumbled, not unlike how a child who had been forbidden to talk to strangers would refuse a sweetmeat in the streets. The Prince sighed –too soon yet.

And he had already obtained a very important victory.

“Very well.” he nodded, taking his first sip of the drink. “Take your time.”

His brother-in-law´s eyes widened in slight alarm.

“Please understand that this is not a rejection of your generous proposal. I just...” he began, but Inziladûn cut him with a good-natured gesture.

“Of course not.”

“He can look inside your soul.” Zarhil informed him, in a mild yet dry streak of malevolence. “There is no need for explanations.”

The Prince glared at her, then turned back to Zakarbal.

That is very far from the truth indeed, in spite of the rumours. I simply understand that...”

Suddenly, however, a figure gesturing at him brought the thread of his words to die away in distraction. It was the Great Chamberlain, his chin discreetly pointing in the direction of the Throne. Careful not to startle his companions, Inziladûn ventured a brief look from the corner of his eye, and what he saw made his blood freeze.

Magon and the King were talking.

“What is the matter?” Zarhil, always so indiscreet, asked in surprise. He made a vague sign to her and her brother.

“I will be back.” he mumbled, walking away. Zakarbal´s eyes widened, but he did not have time to do anything but bow in haste.

The figures of the guests came and went in a blur under the dimmed evening light. Inziladûn passed them by, in search of the man who had alerted him.

“There is an... interesting conversation going on.” he whispered in his ear. The Prince nodded in understanding.

“Come with me.” he whispered back.

Pretending to be deep in conversation, both walked side by side until they were close enough to the Throne. With great skill, the Chamberlain pretended to have been beckoned by a courtier and bowed to Ar-Gimilzôr. Inziladûn followed him.

“Congratulations on the victory, my King.” he said, with another bow. His father´s eyes trailed over him vaguely, and he acknowledged him with a silent nod, absorbed as he was in conversation with the merchant. Profitting of this leave, Inziladûn stayed nearby.

“...his birthday was last week.” Magon was saying at the moment. His lips curved into a smile that, for some reason, made a shiver cross the Prince´s spine. “A beautiful boy, they say, healthy and quite clever. Azzibal tells me that he loves to wield toy swords and fight “filthy Morgoth-worshippers.”

Ar-Gimilzôr´s features tensed. His eyes took that feverish glint that Inziladûn had learned to despise so much, and his hand tightened around the Sceptre.

Danger, a shrill voice pounded in his ears. He tried to choke his fear, his bile as he met the golden merchant´s fatherly smile with a calm glance.

So this was what he had been planning to do...

“The line of King Elendil are proven traitors, who have been removed from the King´s august sight.” he rebuked. “They should not be mentioned in his presence.”

Ever gracious in his manners, Magon bowed low.

“Oh, dear. Indeed, I was out of line. I humbly beg for your forgiveness.”

Inziladûn did not answer, but turned his attention to his father instead. Ar-Gimilzôr was frowning, and staring at a certain point beyond the terrace´s railing. He barely seemed to have heard his intervention, so absorbed he was by his own thoughts.

The light of the lamps and candles that servants were laying around them cut sharp lines on his profile, and lent a fell quality to his glance. With a startle, Inziladûn realised that he reminded him of the late Ar-Sakalthôr, brooding in the shadows. Out of a sudden instinct, he swallowed deeply and followed the direction of his father´s stare.

Down in the almost deserted square, under the faint glow of lanterns, several men were washing the spurts of blood that remained upon the stone pavement.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

In the following days, the news of his informers were unanimously worrying. His father was oddly thoughtful, his nights were restless, and he had visited the temple of Melkor twice. Even worse, he had refused to meet with Inziladûn. Ar-Gimilzôr had always feared his son´s ability to unlock carefully guarded secrets and dark thoughts – this was something that he knew since he was a child.

Back when the Western line had been abolished, their lives had been spared, with the exception of Eärendur´s voluntary departure. This had brought some relief to Inziladûn, who had feared the worst for his friends. But, what about a new heir, the monster´s spawn, the continuation of their line and hopes? Would even he be innocent in the all-fearing, all-consuming eye of the King?

Ar-Gimilzôr had heard of the baby´s birth years ago, and done nothing. Probably, some kind of remorse for his grandson´s death –murder- had stayed his hand back then, but Inziladûn knew too well that the ambition of a merchant, the will of Melkor and a tyrant´s fear held a power that was all too terrible.

Curse that merchant! He had learned to read the King´s unlimited penchant for suspicion, and exploited it more easily and ruthlessly than his own son had done through the years. Númendil... Valandil... they might be ready to offer their own child as a sacrifice, but Inziladûn was not.

Day and night, he had the Merchant Princes who stayed as guests followed, and those from Sor with special care. But he could not follow the King´s every movement, not when his father denied him access, and this tore at his insides. He felt powerless, hurting himself over and over against the same stone wall. Disturbing visions plagued his mind, the same that had once warned him of his infant son´s birth and murder.

One night, as he lay restless in his bed, he was taken by an unnatural slumber, deep and fathomless like a black hole. Ghostly figures danced around him, of grey women whose eyes were brimming with tears.

All of a sudden, a pair of hands grabbed his cloak.. He turned around, searching for a presence, and found himself face to face with the anguished face of Emeldir.

Help us, Inziladûn! she cried. Shaken, he offered his hand to her, but it slipped away like a cloud of mist.

Even before the last tatters of the vision had relinquished their vivid hold on his mind, Inziladûn jumped from his bed, and felt his way in the darkness towards the hiding place of the Seeing Stone.

 

The Wolf's Howl

Read The Wolf's Howl

 

 

“Númendil! Númendil!”

 

He opened his eyes in confusion, wondering if someone was calling him. Everything was empty, except for some twisted shapes that gleamed on the wall.

 

He closed them again.

 

“Númendil!”

 

An irregular darkness enveloped him, like a mantle with tears and holes. Strange images came to haunt him in his retreat, a frightened child, a silent plea for help, a woman crying. He curled under the blankets in an attempt to suppress the growing feeling of loss. It was as if there was a gaping hole in his soul, but he could not remember why.

 

Father! I want to play!

 

There was the distant remembrance of a hand, grabbing his arm and pulling him into a world full of loud laughs, of quick and immediate words. A small hand... a child´s hand.

 

Where had it gone? Why couldn´t he feel it anymore?

 

Sleep beckoned to him, and its lure was stronger than ever. It promised rest and warmth, whispering in his ears that there was nothing left to care about. But Númendil had an instinct, somehow, that still forced him to fight it. The child´s hand was not there anymore. He was afraid.

 

If nobody pulled him back, he would never wake up again.

 

“Númendil!”

 

Something cold touched him. It was not the cold of tears as they dried, but a different, intense and solid kind of cold. An object numbed his fingers, robbing him of the warmth of the blankets.

 

“Númendil!”

 

Now, for the first time, Númendil could hear the Voice. It was the voice of a man, strong and commanding. Galvanized by the shock, he opened his eyes wide, and met another pair of sea-grey, determined ones.

 

“The Shadow is taking you. You must fight it, Númendil!”

 

The Shadow... In a first moment, the words rolled inside his mind, their meaning unknown. Little by little, however, an awareness began to dawn upon him. Someone was breathing loudly and irregularly over his neck.

 

His hands held a black stone, which commanded his attention. He remembered having held that thing in the same manner days ago, when Amandil asked to see it for his birthday...

 

Amandil!

 

The name was like an eruption, wreaking chaos in his mind as the remembrances resurfaced. The sea-grey eyes stared at him in silence, allowing the pain to pierce his soul.

 

“Do not worry about your son. He will be the King´s honoured guest in Armenelos.”

 

The exultant spark in the merchant´s eyes belied the concern in his tone. Emeldir held back a sob, pressing her hand against his.

 

Behind Azzibal, and between two men who flanked him as if he was a prisoner, the boy shot bewildered glances in their direction, still unable to wholly understand what was going on.

 

“But I do not want to go to Armenelos! I want to stay here! Mother, I want to stay here!”

 

Emeldir supressed a whimper.

 

“Young and noble guest...” Azzibal began, but Amandil bolted off, and the merchant´s politeness was changed into an adamant expression as he ordered the men to hold him back. Undaunted, Amandil struggled, bit and kicked their legs.

 

“Let me go, worshippers of Morgoth!”

 

“There is no need to be so rude.” Azzibal frowned in disapproval. “The King would not like to hear those words. Everything is ready, take him away.”

 

“No! I do not want to go!”

 

Númendil stood still, watching the men as they pulled his son away. He could not move, or think of anything to say; the many different, lightning-quick emotions had paralysed him. Azzibal bowed, then retired, allowing him a last glimpse of the terrified plea in his fearless child´s eyes.

 

“Father!”

 

Wordlessly, he muttered the litany of his five generations of prosecuted ancestors. The sacrifices that each of them had made to save Númenor from the Downfall, and the prophecies of the Ultimate Sacrifice that would come before the end. A part of him wondered if it could be this.

 

We were sent that dream so none of us would ever forget our mission. his grandfather had said. Because if we forget, Númenor will be lost.

 

The words of duty finally found their way to his mouth.

 

“Amandil, remember us. Do not forget...”

 

But then, he felt himself pushed aside by an unexpected force. Astonished, he turned towards his attacker, and saw Emeldir step forwards, mighty and regal in spite of her short stature.

 

“No, Amandil! Forget us!” she cried, with a strength that belied the traces of tears upon her cheeks. “Forget us and live!”

 

The door was closed behind their backs. For a moment, both stood in silence, too thunderstruck to say a word. Then, Amandil´s screams reached them from outside, and she fell to the floor, her body racked by sobs.

 

Back then, he had not wept.  He had comforted her as well as he was able, feeling how her crying was gradually muffled as he held her in his arms. Then, he sat on his chair, and began to forget everything. In his dreams, only this one scene was replayed again and again, and he stood still for a hundred times while his son was taken away from him.

 

As the days passed, however, even this had become blurred. Now, for the first time, the emotions assaulted him as strongly as they had back then. He stood, shaking, once more paralysed by their intensity.

 

“My son...” he mumbled. Emeldir´s hand pressed his shoulder.

 

“Do not grieve for him, Númendil.” the grey eyes told him. “Once, you offered him to me freely, and I did not accept your gift. But I accept it now. He is under my protection, and I will let no harm come to him.”

 

Valandil´s heir blinked in admiration. Those were the words of a king, a king that he had never met before. Was he the one that Eärendur had announced?

 

Emeldir was staring at the ceiling, and muttering something like a prayer. He heard some of the words, shaken by a tremulous joy.

 

“Thank you, lord Inziladûn... thank you...”

 

For the first time in what seemed like an eternity, he felt truly warm.

 

“And now, you must carry on with your mission.” the voice continued to speak in his mind. “If you die, your death will only be a triumph for your enemies. Live, and I swear to you that your son and you will see happier times.”

 

Númendil´s admiration gave way now to a different sort of emotion. There was a new strength seeping through his limbs and soul, encouraging him to fight and resist. To discard his apathy, like crystal shards that had to be taken away from his still bleeding skin.

 

Encouraging him to live.

 

“Bear more children. Strengthen your line.”

 

Númendil nodded, feeling tears trail down his cheeks. He felt like he had just awakened from a long and dreary nightmare, drawn by the light of that man who addressed him. The King had been found, and he would save his son.

 

The end of their sufferings was near.

 

“I will.” he swore, his ability to master the Seeing Stone restored at last. A beautiful smile lighted Emeldir´s features, and she pulled him into an embrace “I will, my King.”

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Amandil advanced as swiftly as he could, yet his steps seemed small and slow in the midst of a boundless immensity. Above his head, the ceiling shone like a million stars, and the intense colours of the columns dazzled him.

 

“We must hurry. The King is waiting.”

 

He did not reply. Looking down, he bit his lip, and tried to get the flutter in his stomach to settle.

 

During the last days, he had travelled a very long distance across the Eastern regions of Númenor. Once, this would have seemed terribly exciting, and he would have peeked through the curtains of his carriage to see the people, the cities, the villages that had all been part of fabulous dreams and bedtime tales. But instead he had curled in the darkness like a baby, and forced himself not to cry as he was dragged farther and farther from his parents. Each mile, each shout announcing that they had passed a new landmark was a new cause for dread – even if he could escape, how would he go back on his own now?

 

In front of them –the Morgoth worshippers!- he had pretended to be brave, like an adult. Adults were not always brave, and he had seen tears in Mother´s eyes when he was taken away, but he would never show his fear to those people. When they tended to his needs they were always polite, but he had heard them calling him “the prisoner” when they thought he was not listening.

 

They also said many other things. One morning, a merchant of Sor muttered something about “the family of the traitors”, and added that the King feared the deceitful plots of Amandil´s father and grandfather. This had made the boy indignant, and he had been about to step out of his carriage and tell him that his father had said that they had to obey the King always, no matter what he did.

 

When they reached Armenelos, it had been night. Of the “greatest and most powerful city in Númenor” of Father´s tales he had barely seen some blurred lights, and a narrow street full of people watching from doorsteps. The Palace was made of long corridors that never seemed to end, and dark chambers where he was left alone to sleep.

 

That night, he had finally broken down and cried.

 

Early in the next morning, a woman woke him up “because he was going to meet with the King”, and this had made his hopes rise a little again. Thoughts and ideas ran like wild horses in his mind... first he would bow, and look at him in a very serious and sincere way. Then, he would tell him that his father and grandfather did not want to deceive or fight him, and that they would always obey him no matter what he did. He would surely understand –he had to. Amandil just couldn´t look intimidated, or let fear get the best of him.

 

Those were the words that he repeated over and over to himself as he was taken into an even bigger hall, and made to bow in front of a small man in red silks who gave him a cursory glance and stood up to talk to someone else. He was alone here, to fend off for himself. No Father or Mother.

 

He could not be afraid.

 

This started to become very difficult when the man in red silks and another one in yellow beckoned him to follow them through an imposing archway of porphyry and ivory. Inside, there was yet another hall, the likes of which Amandil had never seen in his life. It was bigger than the whole house where he had lived until now, counting all the floors – maybe as much as three or four times as big. Colourful mosaics covered the walls, ivory carvings filled the ceiling, and the polished obsidian floor gleamed darkly under his feet.

 

Amandil did not like the smothered yet reverberating noise of his footsteps. Swallowing, he forced his eyes to focus and search for the King, and saw a golden throne upon a flight of stairs. A man sat upon it, rigid and still like a statue.

 

Once again, the boy had to battle his fears. He kept walking forwards with a high chin, and the two men fell at his sides. Many echoing steps later, he reached the bottom of the stairs, where there were more men standing and peeking at him, but as soon as he tried to climb the first of them, he felt a strong hand grab at his shoulder.

 

“Lower your eyes, and bow!” a voice whispered on his ear. Taken by the urgency in its tone, he obeyed.

 

“Raise your head.” another voice said, calmer and graver. Amandil obeyed again and sought the King´s face, feeling small because of the throne´s height. He saw a tall and thin man with a sceptre in his hands. There was a diadem upon his forehead and a beautiful purple mantle over his shoulders, but his eyes were dark and cold, and his lips tight. Amandil had never been judged so unkindly by anyone.

 

His spirits sank.

 

“I...” he began. The hand pinched his shoulder again, and he repressed a yelp of pain.

 

The man in the throne did not move.

 

“We bid welcome to Amandil, son of Númendil, to our city of Armenelos” he said, in a strangely monotonous voice. Amandil tried again, as quickly as he could.

 

“Thanks, b-but I...”

 

A rustle of robes reached his ear, and he fell into a bewildered silence. The King´s mouth moved as if he was going to say something, but he just stared at him and closed it again.

 

Suddenly, he stood up from his throne, turned his back to them, and left. Everybody bowed deeply to the retreating figure except for Amandil, who sat there, thunderstruck.

 

“The audience is over” one of the men in the stairs declared in a solemn voice.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

This audience with the King put an end to Amandil´s expectations. Barely half an hour later, back into the dark room and still dressed in his rich, useless robes, he could do nothing but wonder forlornly at what had just taken place.

 

He did not understand. Why had the King not wanted to listen to him? He had taken him away from his parents, brought him all the way here, and now he did not even allow him to explain? It was not fair!

 

Shaking a little, he curled over himself. That stare had made him feel horrible, like he was alone and had done something very bad and everybody hated him. He thought of Mother, and how she smiled whenever she said that she was so proud of him. Somehow, it all seemed so distant now.

 

He felt the urge to cry again, and there was no willpower left to repress it. Warm tears gathered in his cheeks. What was going to happen to him?

 

Taken by this anxiety, he did not hear the voices outside the door, or the sharp click as somebody fumbled with the handle. A light fell upon his face, and he hid it between his hands in alarm.

 

“Stand up and kneel!” a harsh male voice ordered him. Amandil was growing tired of everybody making him go up and down like a puppet, and he refused to obey. A soft hand caught his wrist, trying to pry his hands away from his face.

 

The boy resisted, ashamed of his tears. Between his fingers, he had a blurred glimpse of a green flowing robe, and recognised the woman who had dressed him that very morning.

 

“The Prince of Númenor is here to see you” she announced quietly. Amandil shook her off, then quickly brushed his cheeks to dry them before she could react. Two men were with her in the room, and there was a lot of light now.

 

He blinked many times, glad that he could pretend it was the light what hurt him. The Prince of Númenor? Now, who was that?

 

Before he could wonder more about it, a third man walked inside. The other men bowed and left at his signal, and the woman followed them. Only Amandil stood in place, watching him warily.

 

It was a tall man, with a diadem and a purple cloak that reminded him briefly of the King. But the resemblance ended here: this one was younger, with a sharp nose and sea-grey eyes that made him look remarkably like Amandil´s father. The boy stared at him, astonished, while his forehead curved in a pondering frown.

 

Then, the man knelt in front of him, and sought for his glance. His eyes were bright and deep, and Amandil felt as if he was sucked away.

 

“Amandil, son of Númendil, I am your father´s friend.”

 

Shock turned to wonder, then to a tugging sensation of recognition that almost brought the tears back to the boy´s eyes. Those words were in Mother and Father´s language!

 

“Who are you?” he asked, willing his voice not to sound tremulous. The man shook his head.

 

“I am Inziladûn, son of the King. But there is no time for this now.” A bit awkwardly, he fumbled with his cloak, and took out a small brown bag which he laid on Amandil´s hand. The boy stared at it, wondering if he should be more surprised at the man´s uncanny resemblance to Númendil, at his goodwill, or at the fact that he was the son of that horrible man. “Keep this hidden. When dinner is served to you, you must slip this into your drink. Swear that you will not forget!”

 

“Why?”

 

The man´s look became even more intense.

 

“Swear it!”

 

Amandil´s head hung down. Here, nobody liked him, and he should not trust them. And yet– this man was different. He looked familiar. He talked like his parents. He did not make him bow and then refused to meet his eyes.

 

So in the end, he nodded, even if he had no idea why.

 

“I... I will.”

 

The man –Inziladûn- smiled, a quick, relieved smile that made him feel warm.

 

“Thank you. Now, listen to me.” His tone was laced with compassion. “You must be strong, even if you are afraid and you miss your parents. You must be brave, no matter what happens. One day you will be free, and you will see all your loved ones again.”

 

Amandil swallowed the funny feeling in his throat.

 

“My... my father said that one day the King would give us back our freedom, our lands and our honour,” he managed to stammer. “But the King did not want to even listen to me. He stood up and left!”

 

For a moment, he thought he saw a strange expression cross Inziladûn´s features. Before he could decide what it was, however, it disappeared, leaving nothing but a frown of determination.

 

“Your father does not speak lightly. What he said will become true one day, but you must wait. We all must wait.” As if in a sudden hurry, he stood up again, and arranged the folds of his cloak. “Do not forget what you swore!”

 

“Wait!” Amandil saw the man turn back to leave, and panic filled him. “Do not... do not go!”

 

The man stopped in his tracks. His shoulders tensed, as if trying to shake off an unwelcome feeling.

 

“I have no choice,” he said, his words already muffled by the distance. Then, he crossed the threshold, and was gone.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

“To the lady Hanni, daughter of Imubal heir of Maharbal, greetings...”

Inziladûn stared at the letter that he had just written with his own hands, studying its contents with a critical look. Once that he was satisfied, he summoned his secretary, and handed it to him together with the necessary instructions. Then he sat back to wait, while a sigh escaped from tightly pursed lips. One.

 

Making promises was easier than finding the means to fulfil them, he thought in this brief instant that was allowed to him between careful and time-consuming manouevres. To have allies in the Palace and the provincial courts was a must, without which not even the exalted heir to the Númenorean Sceptre was worth anything. And for this, he needed to bend to others, be attentive to their needs and even –sometimes- play games with them.

 

Once, he remembered, he had despised those practices as part of the Merchant Princes´s artifices, and lived in proud isolation from the corrupted world that surrounded him. He had kept himself pure, Eru´s Chosen One and the bearer of true doctrine. He had studied the ancient texts, written treatises where he proved the truth and logic of the Faithful´s beliefs, until one day he found himself holding his son´s dead body in his arms and understood that none of those high-flowing theories would give him the power to change this forsaken land.

 

Years had passed since that day, and now, once again, a child was in danger. A child that was much more than those terrified sea-grey eyes, and a small body huddled against the wall of his room. If Amandil was killed, the Western line, the line of the bearers of the Wave Dream, would be broken. He would be king, but his allies would be no more.

 

Inziladûn was sure that the Merchant Princes and his father had thought the same thing. The boy had been brought to the Palace to die. For a long time, remorse –he knew- had stayed the King´s hand, but finally the avidity of Melkor and his power-hungry allies had not allowed him to redeem the murder of his grandson.

 

This remorse, for Gimilzôr, was a terrible weakness. He had been trying to get rid of it for years, knowing that his enemies could find a way to benefit from it. And now, he thought, the time had come to use it for their own advantage.

 

A servant knelt upon the threshold, announcing the arrival of his guest. Inziladûn nodded, and told him to lead him in. Mere seconds later, the round silhouette of Hannon walked into the room, and the deep bows of the old priest of Melkor greeted him thrice.

 

Years had been anything but kind to the Prince´s chief tutor. The wrinkles of old age marred his once elegant face, and abundant grey locks had overshadowed the chestnut brown of his hair. Furthermore, as it happened to many pleasure-loving Palace courtiers -many of whom had grown old during Inziladûn´s longer lifetime-, a life of luxury had finally taken its toll and made his body grow in width almost as much as in height. The Prince saw the enormous belly, which seemed about to burst under the white and gold priestly robes, the plump cheeks and chubby fingers full of rings, and wondered if one chair would be enough to hold so much weight.

 

Still, undaunted by the ominous crack of the perfumed sandalwood, the man accepted a tray of honey sweetmeats with enthusiasm. Even as they were still busy exchanging greetings, he swallowed two and considered a third with an appreciative glance.

 

Inziladûn felt the need to shake his head. Hannon was the least spiritual priest that he had known, the most immoral of tutors and the most immoderate of courtiers, and yet the cunning that sparkled in those small eyes could hardly be dismissed. From a relative low position, he had entered the Court, became chief responsible for the education of an heir to the Sceptre and finally the Palace head priest. Since the very beginning, he had set his intelligence and resources to work for his own advancement, as well as the amassing of riches that provided for his pleasures. He had cared for nothing besides himself, and this with a trained and focused dedication that other people, who worked for worthier causes, would easily have envied.

 

This was why all the Palace had been in an uproar when, nearly twenty years ago, Palace Priest Hannon announced that he was marrying a young and beautiful woman, daughter of a Palace provider. Though her Sorian ascent had become respectable in Ar-Gimilzôr´s time, she was still beneath a long-standing courtier and a priest. And several years later, to their even greater shock, his wife had given him children. All those who saw the unscrupulous hedonist dote immoderately on his adolescent daughter and infant son had to stop and rub their eyes, then shake their heads in disbelief.

 

Inziladûn, however, had thought differently back then. Until that moment, Hannon had been lost to him, firmly anchored in a present whose last days he would never see. His daughter and son had been his ties with the future, with the Númenor of Ar-Gimilzôr´s death and his old pupil´s rule. Worried for their advancement, he had suddenly developed an obsequious interest in the wayward prince that the Melkorian and high merchant circles had so maligned.

 

And this was why his help would be so useful.

 

“My dear Inziladûn!” The old man shook his head in mild reprobation, eyeing the whole contents of the room. “Still so austere, I see.”

 

“After all those Court ceremonies, I feel the need to rest now and then, in the solitude of my own quarters.” he replied with a modest shrug. “To have some hours of quiet, simple life – and see a few old friends.”

 

Hannon bowed at the compliment. Another honeycake –the fourth- found the way to his mouth, while a servant poured tea in his cup.

 

“Some rose petals in the tea would be nice,” he observed thoughtfully. Inziladûn ordered them with an indulgent smile, and watched how he raised the cup and smelled it like a connoisseur before taking his first sip.

 

“Your hospitality is far more magnificent than your rooms, my lord”, he finally declared. Inziladûn frowned.

 

“Should I take this as a reproach, or as a compliment?”

 

“I suppose it would be more advantageous if you took it as a reproach. You never cared for my compliments”, the priest joked. The Prince nodded -he remembered Hannon´s jealousy of his subordinate Maharbal´s strange hold over their young charge.

 

But Maharbal was long dead now, and he needed this man´s help.

 

“I always held you in the highest reverence”, he assured him, drinking a cautious sip of the rose-petal tea. As he had feared, it had a sickly sweet taste that he found almost unbearable. “This was why, I was thinking of late....”

 

Inziladûn´s voice trailed away deliberately, and he was rewarded by the glimpse of an interested expression in his old tutor´s guarded features. Encouraged, he waited for a while before he continued.

 

“I have been in talks with my noble brother-in-law for a while, the lord Zakarbal of Forrostar”, he said. “Due to his unfortunate lack of heirs, he has been thinking of adopting Hiram, the son of Lord Shemer of Hyarnustar.”

 

Hannon nodded, without betraying any sign of surprise. Maybe he had already gathered it from other sources, the younger man thought.

 

“An auspicious decision, my lord.”

 

Inziladûn took a distracted sip of the cup, repressed a grimace, and continued.

 

“Indeed. And still, there are some loose ends yet in the matter. You of all people might know that his family has been the target of some... malicious gossip within the walls of the Palace.”

 

Hannon frowned. This time, Inziladûn was certain that his ignorance was feigned.

 

“Malicious gossip?”

 

“They call Zakarbal impious, and even Elf-friend. Of course, the life he leads is as respectable and honourable as any, but you know the power of envy.” The Prince shrugged. “It is enough that someone has heard about the adoption plans to incite the jealousy of all those who might have hoped to see a kinsman of theirs rule the North.”

 

The old priest sighed.

 

“This is indeed true, alas! People do not pay heed to moral precepts anymore, and have forgotten to strive for perfection. Pettiness and smallness of heart grow day by day in this sinful city.”

 

Inziladûn took breath. In his childhood, he had grown used enough to his teacher´s flawless hypocrisy, but as an adult he did not feel like listening to his sermons.

 

“The matter is, I have thought of several ways to solve this. And there is one, which I intend to pursue above all others, that interests you particularly.”

 

“Interest me?” Hannon´s curiosity was back. He nodded.

 

“It has not escaped my notice that you have grown a fine family in those last years. Those who know her have nothing but words of praise for your beautiful and virtuous daughter.”

 

The flicker of interest became an avid gleam, that all the old man´s skill could not hide from the Prince´s prying glance.

 

“You are a highly respected member of the Great God´s clergy, and a good friend of mine. I have thought that a match between this Hiram and your daughter would be advantageous to the young man and a fine gift for her. What do you think?”

 

For one of the few times in his long career, Hannon was stuck with words.

 

“I... my lord...” He bowed. “As a father... I have no words...”

 

Inziladûn cut him with a gesture.

 

“There is no need for them. I am grateful for all the years you spent teaching me. There are still some impediments looming in the horizon, I must confess, like Zakarbal´s consent and, of course, your own...”

 

“My daughter, like me, is at your service for whatever need you may have of us, my lord!” Hannon exclaimed, still incredulous. Inziladûn imagined how the sweet thought with its various spreading branches was invading, little by little, every corner of the man´s mind.

 

His daughter, the future Lady of Forostar. His daughter, the wife of one of the most respected Council members, and kin to the King. In all his years, his ambitions had been many and high, but this has remained even beyond the reach of a powerful priest of Melkor. Not of one who did not have a drop of the blood of Elros running through his veins.

 

“I was sure you would accept, as one who understandably has her best interests in mind”, he said, with a grave nod. Then, his features relaxed a little, and he sighed. “Such is the sway that our children hold over us! Since we cradle them in our arms for the first time, we know that we would do anything to make them happy. Why, as you know, I am a father myself...”

 

“May the gods bless and keep the life of the young princess”, Hannon recited obligingly. Inziladûn nodded, while his thoughts wandered for a moment towards the child of the shadows. Would she ever have a happy marriage?

 

But his musings were brief, and he forced himself to return to the matter at hand.

 

“Our children are our soul”, he sentenced. “They are pure and innocent, as we once were, and have so many years, so many joys to live yet.”

 

“Indeed.” Hannon ate another cake, signalling his agreement. He looked exultant.

 

“Which brings me to a different issue...” Inziladûn continued. Something in his expression, despite his casual tone, warned the priest that what he was going to say was important. His features sobered, and he gave him his full attention.

 

“Yes, my lord?”

 

“As you surely know, a certain child arrived to the Palace yesterday, summoned by the King.”

 

Hannon blinked, then made a cautious gesture of assent.

 

“The grandson of the prisoner of Sor, yes. I... was told.”

 

Inziladûn sighed again, allowing his glance to grow lost in the distance.

 

“I saw him this morning. He... looked quite scared, of course. I felt pity for him.”

 

“He is the King´s honoured guest.”

 

The Prince shook his head in impatient dismissal.

 

“You know as well as I do that he will not live much longer.”

 

Shocked, Hannon surrendered to the instinct of staring left and right in search of indiscreet ears. His body tensed, causing the wooden chair to screech again.

 

“I do not know...”

 

“I want to save that boy.” Inziladûn interrupted him. “He is my kin on my mother´s side, and I have an obligation towards him.”

 

“But...” As if his calculations told him that his position did not allow for objections, Hannon let the words trail away in his mouth, and changed to a more obsequious, almost caressing tone. “My dear lord Inziladûn, I agree wholeheartedly with your noble feelings. That unfortunate child deserves all our compassion, and I pray to the Great God whom I serve that his life will be long and prosperous. But we are mere mortals before the might and wisdom of the Sceptre.” He bowed formally. “We must abide by its decisions.”

 

“The King found his family to be guilty of treason and impious practices, and abolished it.” Inziladûn nodded. “But the boy was not even born when this happened. He is innocent.”

 

“And yet, “Hannon´s face was a perfect mirror of regret “he is their heir.”

 

“And yet,” Inziladûn insisted “there could be a second way. Something that could preserve his life and reassure the King at the same time.”

 

“And what could it be? Of course, such a thing would ... bring great happiness to me.”

 

In spite of the approval in his words, Hannon looked a bit wary. He was right to feel that way, Inziladûn thought – his quick mind should have already begun to suspect that the ultimate purpose of this conversation had been to win him as an ally for this perilous cause. And still, his daughter´s marriage with the heir of Zakarbal was too great a prize to back down.

 

In any case, it was time to reassure the old man a little.

 

“You are a priest of the King of Armenelos. Of course, I am not an expert in custom and ritual, and I could be wrong in this,” he bowed as a signal of humility “but I have thought that to have him enter Melkor´s service would not be a difficult thing.”

 

Hannon let go of the cup he was holding, as quickly as if a stray droplet had scalded his hand.

 

“Enter Melkor´s service, my lord? But... he is...”

 

“The grandson of the Former Lord of Andúnië, yes”, Inziladûn finished for him. “But now he has no family; the law erased their names and the King´s summons broke their ties. Think about it, Hannon. If the Great God claimed him, the Western line would be broken, and the King would need not fear the traitors anymore.”

 

“And he would live”, the priest added, mulling it over. “But... how would that come to be? The King...”

 

Inziladûn summoned his willpower, and fixed his sea-grey eyes on Hannon´s shifting ones. The old man held his glance, uncomfortable and mesmerised at the same time.

 

“I will ask this one favour of you, as a token of our friendship and our long years of close acquaintance. If you advise the King to take this course of action, invoking the will of the god that you serve, he will listen to you, of this I am certain. Do this for the boy, and I will reward you as if it was my own son you had saved.”

 

Hannon´s forehead was creased in a deep frown. He was thinking it over –pondering the benefits and dangers of saving Amandil´s life, Inziladûn guessed. But what else could be his ultimate conclusion? Since the beginning of the conversation everything had been made clear enough; for the sake of his daughter´s marriage, and the hopes of further favours, the ambitious man would not say no. He was caught in a sweet snare, too difficult to undo.

 

“The King speaks with the Great God”, he objected. “He may receive a signal...”

 

“The King would never take the words of a priest lightly.” Inziladûn argued back. “And the King of Armenelos will rejoice in his new servant.”

 

Hannon took another cake with a distracted hand, and began munching at it.

 

“I could try...” he ventured. The Prince cut him in exasperation.

 

“I am sure that you will not deny me such a small thing.” His tone grew  confidential, almost like a secret whisper. “I do not know what is it that made me feel so strongly for this boy´s fate, but now I can hardly think of anything else. Maybe it is because he reminds me of myself, when I was a child... or maybe it´s the thought that, had he been alive, my son would be his age.”

 

The priest looked out of sorts at the mention of the long-silenced tragedy. In a dull voice, he muttered a short prayer to Melkor the Soul-Deliverer, and gave him a look of sympathy that for once Inziladûn did not feel to be wholly feigned.

 

After all, he was also a father.

 

“I understand.” he nodded, swallowing his last reluctance. “I will do my best.”

 

The Prince smiled warmly. He had won.

 

“Thank you, Hannon. May the gods be with you always, and guide you in your tasks.”

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Amandil lay wide awake in bed, tossing and turning under the covers. The silk sheets were already tangled in such a mess that it was impossible to see where each of them began or ended anymore.

 

He could not sleep. Back home, it was long ago since he had ceased being afraid of the dark, but in that shadowy Palace his baby fears had come back with a vengeance. He could not see the things that lurked behind the heavy curtains, the long galleries or the labyrinth of chambers in the wing where he had been imprisoned. And when he closed his eyes, it was even worse, as sleep brought him nightmares where a man with dark eyes and tightly pursed lips wanted to hurt him and refused to listen to him.

 

The boy curled under what remained of his sheets, even though there were drops of sweat upon his forehead. Somehow, this made him feel a little more protected. He could stay there, he thought, and pretend that his mother was the one sleeping next door.

 

Tomorrow, everything will be all right. Tomorrow, everything will be all right...

 

He was awoken by a persistent tug in his left arm. Mumbling something, he refused to open his eyes at first –in the last days, he had grown less and less fond of the reality that surrounded him-, but then the tug became a hurtful grip, and he jumped in his bed.

 

Before he could yell, a hand closed upon his mouth. Bewildered, he stared around, and realised that it was still night. The woman holding him was the lady who had been there since the first morning, Hanni. She tended to his needs by day, but she had never entered the room like this when he was sleeping.

 

Without wasting any time, she grabbed him by the hand.

 

“Come with me!” she whispered in his ear. “And be quiet!”

 

Amandil felt himself pulled out of bed, and dragged towards the door. Surprise, as well as the lingering haze of sleep made him unusually docile to her handling. As they entered her own chamber, the disquieting sounds reached his ears for the first time.

 

Footsteps. Hushing. Whispers.

 

“Quick!” she said, holding a big box of clothes open. “Enter, and do not make a sound!”

 

A providential instinct brought Amandil to obey without question. Curling against the soft fabrics of dresses, and hugging his knees with his arms, he lowered his head and let her pull the lid back in place. Complete darkness followed, and he swallowed deeply to repress a wave of fright.

 

Meanwhile, the noises were becoming clearer and stronger. They came from the adjoining room, the one where Amandil had been sleeping a moment ago.

 

“Thrice damn our stupid luck!” a man complained. “Where could he have gone?”

 

“That´s strange!”

 

A sharp bang ensued, and the various noises of things being thrown upon the floor.

 

“Not here, either. He´s not anywhere in this room!”

 

“Maybe he went to take a piss?”

 

“Shhhh!” A sharp whisper cut the growing ruckus. “If he is around, your noises will scare him away!”

 

“I still think that this is too... strange”, another of them insisted. “He has been here all night! Why would he disappear just when we...!”

 

“Maybe he knew?”

 

“Nobody could have told him!”

 

“And what if he had a... vision, or something? After all, he is kin to the King, too.”

 

“Don´t be stupid!”

 

“Listen.” The man of the sharp whispers commanded the attention of his companions once again. “We have not been paid to build wild theories, but to do our job. Let us search the adjoining rooms, maybe we will find a clue there. And you two, stay at the corridor, in case he returns!”

 

Some grumbling ensued, and finally Amandil could hear footsteps approaching them. Blood curdled in his veins, though he was not able to explain very well why. He hugged his knees harder, trying to compress his body in an even smaller space.

 

Then, just as he thought that he could not be any more scared, a new sound made him freeze. He repressed a startle, as it seemed to come from the same room where he was hiding. It was an inhuman, almost painful sound, like the yelp of a beaten dog but much, much deeper. Amandil cringed, trying to cover his grated ears, but there was no way to escape its penetrating cut.

 

Letting the lid slide a bit out of place, he ventured a peek outside. What he saw augmented his shock even further: the sparse glow that came through the window fell over Hanni´s crouching silhouette. The horrible howl came from her throat.

 

A renewed buzz had erupted in the neighbouring room.

 

“The- the Sacred Wolf!”

 

“Run! This boy is protected by the Great God!”

 

“But the King said...”

 

“Bugger the King! I do not want to die!”

 

At the third of Hanni´s attempts, their growing agitation degenerated into panic, and running footsteps were lost in the distance.

 

The silence that fell upon them felt strange and heavy, only broken by Amandil´s  gasps. The air in that box of clothes was becoming suffocating, and he tentatively pulled the lid away.

 

“Hanni?” he called. The woman was lying on the bed, and she did not answer.

 

His determination already growing back, the boy stood on his feet to leave his hiding place. As he reached the woman´s side, he studied her features in some worry.

 

Hanni´s eyes opened wide.

 

“Come”, she said, grabbing him by the clothes and pulling him into the bed. He opened his mouth to protest, but she began touching his face as if she still had to make sure he was there.

 

“Stay with me”, she ordered, though the voice was so full of urgency that it almost felt like a plea. “Stay here, with me, tonight. Stay with me...”

 

Amandil had never seen an adult act so upset, except his mother the day that they had taken him away. Not knowing what to say, he nodded in silence, and suffered cold hands to crush him against a swiftly beating heart.

Interlude V: Doom and Choices

Read Interlude V: Doom and Choices

“King of the City, Lord of Visions, send me an answer.”

 

Suffocation. The familiar sweet smell, insidiously penetrating his nostrils and bringing tears to his closed eyes. A faint cracking of flames, and then, once more, the silence.

 

“King of the City, Lord of Visions, send me an answer.”

 

He tried to focus in the image of the boy, though the very remembrances were laced with conflict. Those eyes, those innocent, terrible sea-grey eyes. The eyes of the boy he had regretted sparing, back in a distant past; and also of the baby he had regretted killing not long ago, if only he had been allowed to live.

 

But how could he have lived? Bitterness took him, and with it the will to struggle, and he pulled away from the embrace of the fumes. Immediately, he lay his palms forwards and fell on his fours upon the cold floor, his body racked by a coughing attack. His body was not what it once was, after ruling Númenor for more than ninety years.

 

That boy, the son of traitors, had been protected by the Great God. Poison had not harmed him, and the assassins had been met by a mysteriously empty bed and the Wolf´s howl. The Lord Melkor had even sent dreams to his highest ranking priest in the Palace, demanding to have Amandil enter his service.

 

If something could be said about him after so many years of experience, it was that Ar-Gimilzôr was no fool. In all those prodigies he had suspected the hand of Inziladûn, who had grown cunning indeed in his maturity. But then, what difference did it make? If the Eternal King of Númenor turned a blind eye to that apostate´s ill-use of his sacred name, if he allowed his priests to be bribed without bringing ruin upon them –if he refused to send him an answer even now, as he stood before his altar, when he had been so clear and pressing about Gimilzôr´s own grandson, what was he meant to think?

 

How was this fair? The protector, the guide of the King´s family wanted a heir to the throne to die, and a traitor to live. Why did he refuse his sacrifice? Why did he allow for mercy, now that it was too late for that unfortunate strangled baby?

 

Ar-Gimilzôr forced himself to find a grip. Gingerly, he reclined his body on one of his sides, fleeing that humiliating pose.

 

He could not question the God´s will, being, as he was, a short-lived mortal. Who knew the uses that the Eternal King had foreseen for that child? Maybe, in his service, he would grow one day to be a powerful ally of Gimilkhâd and his son Pharazôn, when time came for them to fight for the God´s true Faithful and the heritage of Ar-Adunakhôr. Maybe he would see the truth, and resent his own kin for walking in darkness.

 

Your will be done.” he whispered, defeated. His voice came out hoarse, and he could barely manage to stand up again to bow to the altar flames. Upon realising that he was finished, the High Priest approached him, as was custom, to leave a basin of water on the floor at his side.

 

This time, instead of meeting him with silence, Ar-Gimilzôr gestured for him to stay.

 

“We must talk.” he said.

 

That would be the answer, he told himself in a flash of insight. If the boy could forget the lies of his parents, and willingly be consecrated to him whom they called Morgoth, it would be signal that the King of Kings himself had claimed him. If so, he would be allowed to live- and become a priest of Melkor.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Pharazôn watched the old woman leave from his hiding place behind the column. As the sweeping noise of her robes faded in the shadows, he nodded to himself, and prepared his assault.

 

The girl was sitting on a small ivory chair in the shade, next to the fountain. She was scribbling or drawing something in a paper, which seemed to absorb all of her attention. Long and lustrous plaits of hair fell down her shoulders, so deeply black that the boy found himself wishing to know if they would shine under the sun.

 

Making sure that there was no one else in sight, he approached her with determined steps. She did not intimidate him, even though she was so beautiful that her features seemed to have been fashioned by the artist who made the statues of Ashtarte-Uinen. He had heard stories about her, but they had done nothing but augment his curiosity.

 

How different could she be from any other girl, anyway? She was just his cousin, the daughter of his father´s brother - so his mother had told him.

 

“Hello.” he ventured.

 

The girl did not answer. Somehow - if this was not impossible-, he would have believed that he had not even heard him or seen him approach, because she continued to paint without the slightest acknowledgement of his presence. He felt suddenly stupid, out of place standing there.

 

He found that he did not like this feeling at all.

 

“I am speaking to you!” he said, louder this time. When she still gave no response, he approached her, grabbed the papers and snatched them away from her.

 

The girl froze. Mournfully, she stared at her empty lap, and he swallowed in alarm, sure from his experience with Ithobal´s daughter that she would now start to wail. But instead of that she raised her eyes, fixing them on his. They were wide and calm, black like the sky on a cloudy night.

 

“You came.” she mumbled. Pharazôn blinked.

 

“You know me?”

 

The girl nodded.

 

“I see you often. More than anyone else.” she said. “Sometimes it´s good, but sometimes it´s horrible. I have seen you die.” she added thoughtfully.

 

The boy stared at her in shock.

 

“What are you... talking about?” he asked. His voice came out a little high-pitched, and he closed his mouth again, angry at himself.

 

He was an idiot. He knew about this! His mother had told him, and he would not fall for it. Pointing an accusing finger at her, he gathered his wits back.

 

“You like to scare people away, don´t you? My mother told me that you have made other girls cry with your stories.” Pride inflated his chest. “But I´m not a girl. And I´m never afraid.”

 

It was true enough. Everybody said that same thing about him, since he was a baby and he ventured alone through the dark corridors of the palace. He was not afraid of darkness, of heights or of monsters, and much less of things that were not possible at all.

 

Nobody could see him die.

 

The girl stared at him again. Her eyes became laced with an uncomfortable warmth.

 

“I am not afraid, either.” she said, and her lips curved into a small smile. “Not anymore.”

 

Pharazôn grumbled, fidgeting with her papers. What was that supposed to mean?

 

“What´s your name?” he asked, after a while of more uncomfortableness. “I am Pharazôn, son of Gimilkhâd.”

 

The girl shrugged.

 

“Which name?”

 

His hand swept the air in irritation.

 

“Yours!”

 

“But I have two.” she argued. “And both are mine.”

 

“You can´t have two names.” he retorted. “Nobody has two names!”

 

“Well, I do!” Her voice became shrill for an instant, then went back to its usual low tones. “People call me Zimraphel, but my father calls me Míriel. I do not like it.”

 

Pharazôn thought a little about this. 

 

“I do not like it, either. It... sounds like Elvish, or like some cat´s name.”

 

Her expression became serious.

 

“It was the name of a woman who wanted to die.”

 

The boy shrugged. Once again, he had no idea of what she was talking about.

 

“But then, my father does not like me.” she continued, pouting in a charming way. “He keeps me imprisoned here because he does not want anybody to see me. He thinks I am a monster.”

 

Pharazôn stared at her with a frown. He had heard horrible things about the Lord of the Western Wing: that he was a secret expert in Elvish sorcery, a traitor and an enemy of his family, and that the holy smoke of the sacrifices hurt him. Her words should not come as a surprise, and yet they shocked him.

 

So she was a prisoner, just as he had fancied back when he saw her first! She never went out, not even to attend feasts or ceremonies. Never saw anybody but her parents and the old woman. What a terrible life, he thought, feeling pity for her for the first time.

 

“You are not a monster.” he said generously, putting the papers back on her lap. “Just a little strange.”

 

Zimraphel offered him a tremulous smile. Pharazôn was taken aback at her gratitude.

 

“What are you drawing?” he muttered, wanting to change the subject. He cocked his head to the side to have a glimpse at the topmost paper, and his eyes widened.

 

The pencil lines were perfect. The shades were perfect, too, like a painting done by a grown-up artist.

 

“You are good!”

 

Zimraphel did not nod at the compliment. Hurriedly, she covered the paper with both hands, but not before he was able to distinguish a boy whose features were very alike to hers, with straight black hair and huge dark eyes.

 

“Who´s that? Your twin?” he asked, wondering why she would want to draw a boy that looked like her. She nodded.

 

“I also see him sometimes.”

 

Did she have a brother, imprisoned too? Pharazôn rubbed his eyes, more and more confused.

 

Before he could ask her this, however, the sound of sweeping silks warned him of someone else approaching. The old woman again, he thought in fury. Briefly, he pondered staying there to face her, but basic prudence overran that option. He might get Zimraphel in trouble, too. A commander should know when to retreat.

 

“I have to go.” he told her, turning away to leave. Behind him, he heard a whimper.

 

“No! Do not leave me! Do not leave me, please!”

 

The sound of her voice was so piteous that it made his stomach churn. It brought him instant remembrances of one of the barbarians who had been killed in front of his eyes that year, after he struggled desperately against the man with the knife. Back then, he had had nightmares with that scene –secret nightmares that he had not shared with anyone.

 

He turned back once again, wondering what to do. Unfortunately, that was the moment that the woman chose to appear through the other door, followed by two ladies-in-waiting. As soon as she spotted him, she raised her arms and screamed.

 

“An intruder! An intruder! Follow him!”

 

Pharazôn ran past the columns and the gallery, evading the slow-moving women without difficulty. Any other day, his heart would have been beating in excitement at the chase, but when he finally slowed down in the safety of the mosaic hall, he felt instead like a cowardly deserter.

 

His forehead creased into a frown, as he remembered her vivid eyes on his. What if they hurt her now? What if she thought that he had... abandoned her?

 

He had to find a way to see her again. Even if he had to brave the vigilance.

 

As he headed back for the South Wing, the boy had the feeling that his life had somehow become more complicated.  

 

 

The Fire Altar

Read The Fire Altar

 

The boy´s eyes were fixed, stubborn, upon the veins of greyish ore that a capricious hand had drawn upon the floor. He conjured images of the Sea, of the cry of the gulls as they flew past their balcony on the cool sunset hours, but his forehead was burning from the heat of the fire.

He tried to close his eyes, and forget where he was. No matter what he did, however, the soft voice would keep crooning lies in his ears, and evil words that he did not want to hear.

“Those who serve the Lord are the highest among mortals. Only they can achieve true wisdom, be admitted to the divine secrets, and receive the respect and reverence of all the faithful.”

Amandil did not answer. The old man´s forehead creased in a frown, as that of the previous old man who had been sent to him, and of several others before that.

“The Lord Melkor is merciful, and the King as well”, he continued, now with a slight air of rebuke. “You should be thankful for being chosen.”

The boy´s silence was starting to exasperate him. Advancing one step, he grabbed his chin with one hand, and forced his eyes to look into his. He had an unpleasant face, bald and full of wrinkles.

“Well, at least give me an answer, impudent boy!”

“I am not thankful” Amandil muttered, struggling until he was free to look down again. “And he is not merciful. He tortured the Elves until they turned into Orcs. Leave me alone!”

He heard an outraged huff, and the sound of robes as the man turned his back on him. A quick prayer was muttered between clenched teeth.

“Alone, indeed! Well, then, be alone! I will be damned if I allow myself to be convinced to deal with one of these... of these Elvish sorcerers ever again!” he cursed. “Their minds are warped from birth. King of Armenelos, may your wrath fall upon this sacrilegious breed!”

Amandil watched him walk away, and disappear through one of the two heavily ornated back gates. It was long since he had ceased caring for the people that kept trying to convince him. Horror and fear had been replaced by some kind of dark satisfaction as he saw them leave in anger, one after another.

This could not last forever, he told himself, trying to get himself to take heart. At some moment, they would realise that they could not convince him, and leave him alone. He did not care where they took him after that; nothing could be worse than this terrible place.

Amandil´s parents were being held in a city very, very far away. The King had not wanted to listen to him, and Hanni had disappeared without saying goodbye. Even the man who had promised that he would protect him had not come back, in the end, but he did not even mind the loneliness anymore. All he really wanted now was to be taken back to his small dark chamber in the palace. He wanted to be allowed to curl there, undisturbed, and forget what he had seen that day.

Please, Lord Manwë, Lady Varda, he thought. Have them bring me back.

“You are not being very wise.”

Repressing a grimace, the boy slowly looked up. Instead of the smile of the star-bright goddess of Mother´s tales, he saw a frowning forehead, and a pair of hard grey eyes on the pale and thin face of a man.

He was not nearly as wrinkled as the others. In fact, he could even have passed as young, if it wasn´t because the intensity of his glance gave him the air of authority of an elder. His robes were long and priestly white, heavily folded over his lean body. The curve of his mouth was firm, and the words he spoke were not soft.

“They were not going to send anyone else to waste their words on you. Luckily for you, I insisted.”

Amandil shook his head, surprised in spite of himself at this new approach. Unlike what had happened in the previous interviews, he graced this man with an immediate reply.

“I do not want to be a... priest of Morgoth”, he said, hissing the last words as if they were a curse. “So you might as well not waste words on me, and let me leave this horrible place, because that´s the only word I will heed.”

“Let you leave?” The man´s features creased in a strange laugh, that looked more like a grimace in his severe face. “That is not a wish I can grant. Not even the High Priest himself could oppose the orders given by the King, and much less a simple priest like me.”

At those words, Amandil could not prevent his eyes from glancing up again.

“What does that mean?”

The laugh was over as quickly as it had begun.

“It means, ignorant little child, that you will never leave this temple alive. If you do not swear your fealty to the Great God, those soldiers who are at the threshold of the Main Gate, can you see them from here?” A gesture of his hand pointed at the shadows of the four guards who stood at the great gates, still like statues and fully armed, “will be called in by the High Priest. They will kill you. Then, your remains will be burned, so nobody will know that there has been a death on consecrated grounds.”

The boy paled. He shook his head in disbelief.

“You lie!”

“His Holiness had already called them in when I stopped him. He says that it should be over at least a few hours before the night services. The smell of cremated flesh can be lingering. You lived in Sor... surely you must have witnessed a fire-sacrifice of an animal at least once.”

Amandil swallowed, horrified. Images came unbidden to his mind, of a beautiful turtle-dove writhing in agony, its body in flames, and the pestilent smell before Mother´s protective embrace whisked him away.

“You lie”, he repeated, but his voice came out piteously shrill. He covered his ears with his hands and closed his eyes, trying to banish those images away. “I am a boy, not an animal. Only animals are killed.” Mother had told him that, back then, when he had the nightmares.

The man shook his head with lordly impatience.

“Surely you cannot be so foolish! The King is afraid of your lineage, and has vowed its destruction. This is why you were brought to Armenelos, and why you were visited by assassins that night in your bedchamber.” The remembrances came back with a pang to Amandil´s stomach. Assassins... they had wanted to kill him?

Was that why Hanni had looked so frightened that night?

He looked down again, shivering in silence. It was a bad dream. All this was but a bad dream.

“The merciful Melkor sent a vision to the King, telling him that he wanted you spared for his service. This is why you are here... alive“, the priest continued, shattering his illusions. “Now, the service of Melkor is not such a serious affair as you might believe. This temple is full of priests who worship money, wine or sinful lust with far more sincerity than they do the god. “Here, he allowed himself a brief gesture of contempt. “He is clearly not a very demanding master, but for you he holds the gift of life in his hands.”

He stopped for a moment to fix his eyes on his again.

“You are but a child. You do not know what life is, you do not know what death is. If you let them kill you now, your still imperfect and unfulfilled soul will find little mercy with the Creator, who made you to live until the Doom took you in old age. And you will have eternity to regret your foolishness.”

Amandil still did not answer. He wanted to yell. He wanted to cry, and he couldn´t do either thing; he was paralyzed.

The priest turned his back to him, and began walking towards the door.

“I will do my duty, then, “he said, dryly. “I pity your parents, who will not even have bones to mourn.”

Something in the boy snapped. A distant image of Mother´s tear-filled eyes, calling for him as he was carried away caught his mind.

Forget about us, and live!

If he died, Mother would be devastated. And Father too, who had told him so many times that he was the hope of their lineage when he grew up. He did not want to make Mother and Father sad... and above all, he did not want to be thrown into the fire like that turtle-dove. Just the idea chilled him to the marrow, and one of those fire-nightmares had always scared him much more than a hundred stories about Morgoth.

So when he saw the man leave, his body was electrified into motion.

“Wait!.... Wait!”

It took more than one shout to stop the inexorable steps towards the gates. For a fearful second the boy thought that it was too late, and anguish gathered in his throat, but finally the priest turned back.

“Well?”

“I will do it!” he yelled, forcing his breath to still. “I will do it, just please don´t call them!”

The priest considered him with an inscrutable frown. Then, he nodded without any visible signal of triumph, and motioned to an attendant that stood in the background.

“A first step to a life of wisdom”, he sentenced. The attendant brought him a basin, full of a liquid that looked like water, and a knife. Upon seeing the last item, Amandil retreated again, taking a defensive stance.

“Do not fear”, the man told him, walking towards the altar. “I will not harm you. But you must do everything I tell you to do.”

Amandil mulled this over for a moment, then nodded hesitantly. Step by step, he approached the fire, which burned his cheeks with an unbearable heat. He wanted to stop, but the priest ordered him to approach even further.

How much would fire hurt? He remembered having asked Mother that question once.

Just when he was thinking that the flames would burn him for real, however, the priest stopped him with a sharp gesture. He told him to kneel and bow three times, just as he did. Amandil obeyed in silence, as he had promised, though great drops of sweat were falling down his forehead.

He had to be brave.

The priest´s voice chanted a prayer, while he dipped the knife in the water of the basin. Then, he stood up and approached him, and the cold blade touched his cheek.

Be brave. Be brave. For Mother, for Father... for himself.

“Stop shaking, or you will get cut”, he was rebuked. It was nothing. He only wanted to cut a lock of his hair, and that did not hurt. He was so stupid for being afraid.

“See”, the man mumbled while he did his work, pointing at the flames with his chin. “You are looking upon the all-consuming, shape-shifting mirror of the Lord´s might. All men bow to His power, which gives life and brings death, be they Númenoreans or barbarians.” The lock was finally cut, and he lay it upon Amandil´s hand. “Now, consecrate it, and yourself with it. Throw it into the fire!”

Amandil stared at the fuzzy dark hair on his wet hand. He had come this far. He would not let that funny sensation of being about to do something very bad ruin his determination.

Gathering what seemed like all his strength, he threw it away. The fire made short work of such a small thing; it disappeared without writhing like the dove. Still, a disagreeable smell reached his nostrils after it was gone, and the flames flared a little stronger.

The priest acquiesced, solemnly.

“See? Now, he has seen your face, too. He has accepted you, thrown the mantle of his protection over you, and made you his servant. “Amandil closed his eyes in renewed fear, wondering if the corrupt Vala would come and take him. But nothing happened, and he opened them again, relieved. He could not harm him.

The Valar would not let him.

He was safe now. No demon would carry him away, and no King would throw him into the fire. One day, he would see Mother and Father, and then they would be happy to see him alive.

The priest´s hand pressed bony and sharp fingers into his shoulder.

“By the mercy of the Great God, you have been reborn. And so from now on, your name will be Hannimelkor, the Mercy of Melkor.”

He could barely nod, busy wiping tears away from his swollen eyes.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Praised be the King of Armenelos! Your preaching skills will bring great glory to our Temple, if you were able to touch the soul of that fiend!”

The younger priest shook his head in barely concealed irritation, and bowed once to each of his superiors, who sat around the dining table.

“It was not rhetorical abilities what allowed me to touch his soul”, he replied, with rigid modesty. “May I, Your Holiness?” he asked, pointing towards a basin of water. The High Priest nodded absently, and watched as he drew a careful trail over his forehead with dripping fingers.

“Then, what did you say to him, Yehimelkor? He refused each and every one of the priests we sent!”

“I let him know about the fate that awaited him if he refused. In terms that even a fiend would easily understand.”

One of the priests, an old man with a balding, grey hair, stared at him in shock.

“You were not allowed to do such a thing!”

Yehimelkor did not blink. Lowering his head, he knelt at the feet of the High Priest.

“If I have done wrong, Your Holiness is entitled to judge my actions”, he said. His look held a determined spark that belied any pretence of humility. “But I beg Your Holiness to remember that you were present when I opposed the idea of having the sacred soil of this Temple defiled by a crime. Back then, I said that I would not stand for such a thing, be it an order of the King or the plea of a beggar. If you will forgive me the insolence of the supposition – when your Holiness gave me permission to talk with the boy, you must have known that I would do whatever was in my hand to prevent it from happening.”

“Are you insinuating that you disobeyed the royal orders with the connivance of the High Priest?” the old priest frowned. “Your swollen head is in dire need of some cooling, young man! Just because you belong to the line of Indilzar...”

“Enough.” The High Priest raised an elegant hand from purple folds, putting an end to the discussion. “Yehimelkor is right in reminding me that I should have been more vigilant. And what is done, is done. Rise and sit on a chair, Yehimelkor.”

“But...!”

“The Great God does not withhold his blessings once that he has bestowed them upon someone, which means that the boy is now under our care. Still...” The man´s pleasant face creased with a sudden frown, and he watched Yehimelkor intently as the latter sat down. “I cannot help but... wonder if your family associations had something to do with this, Yehimelkor.”

“Indeed!” The old man was quick to jump at the idea. “Melkorbazer, the Fiend´s husband was your great-uncle, was he not?”

The younger priest shook his head, keeping a rigid composure.

“I have no family outside this Temple. If you believe that I was not ready to become a priest when I took the last oaths, you may have been better advised not to vote for the exception that allowed me to take them eighteen years earlier than the others.”

“I did not...!”

“Peace, both of you!” the High Priest intervened again. “We are not doubting your commitment, Yehimelkor. In fact, I doubt there is anyone in this Temple who is as committed as you.” The younger man bowed in acknowledgement of the compliment. “And yet, you must know that, when it comes to you, there is much more at stake than with any other priest. If things go as planned, your royal blood will allow you to wear this purple one day. So the King of Kings knows that I am not to be blamed for worrying.”

“Of course not, Your Holiness”, the old priest nodded. “The other also was to have succeeded as High Priest before that sad affair happened, if my memory does not fail me. Partiality towards that family was at the root of your kinsman´s undoing.”

“If you allow me, Revered Father Mousor,” Yehimelkor bowed again. “I do not share your opinion on this.”

The High Priest nodded, interested.

“You do not?”

“No. For me, the only thing that ever was at the root of my kinsman´s undoing was the shameful lack of control over his impulses. He could never be brought to suppress his pride, his vain dreams of glory, his desire of bloody conquest. This passionate nature was what made him throw away his teachings, his allegiance to the Great God and to the King and his family´s reputation out of a shameful lust he conceived for a woman. “He made a praying gesture, and raised his eyes. “My Lord, the Eternal King, knows that there is nothing in common between him and me.”

“I see. “The High Priest nodded again, this time thoughtfully. “As usual, there is wisdom beyond your years in your words. We will not hold you accountable for what happened today. “The other man made an attempt to protest further, but was silenced by a mild warning look. “I am sure that you must be tired, Yehimelkor. Some rest would serve you well.”

Understanding this as a dismissal, the priest bowed to Mousor, and knelt before the High Priest once more.

“I am grateful for your concern, Your Highness”, he recited. “I request permission to take my leave.”

“Granted, granted, of course”, was the goodnatured reply. Yehimelkor nodded and left, watched with keen interest by the two senior priests.

“Always a step ahead in everything”, the High Priest snorted. “When his time comes, he will completely overshadow me.”

“And yet, he is also a... prominent individuality”, Mousor grumbled, shaking his head. “I wonder what the future will bring.”

“That is impossible for anyone to know except the Great God. Still... I suspect there might be more problems in there than I would be able to handle myself”, the High Priest sentenced after a brief, thoughtful pause. “And he will be there to fight them, for which I am glad.”

The other man´s glance grew unfocused, as he stared into the distance and gave his superior a grudging nod.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The altar flames flared, licking his flesh in a surge of burning agony. Amandil choked a scream, and frantically tried to retreat, but bony hands pushed him forwards, towards the source of the pain.

He could not breathe. His lungs were full of a foul smoke that smelled like burning flesh -his flesh. Horror filled him at the thought, and he stared in fear at the fire that would engulf him.

Suddenly, there was a great, booming noise behind his back. Amandil tried to twist his head to look, but before he was able to see anything a mighty force swept him away. Feeling himself grow towards the skies, the boy glanced down, and saw the Temple, the Palace and the city of Armenelos as small colourful dots upon a green land. And then he was free, cradled in a watery embrace that bore him far, far away....

“Hannimelkor!”

The boy whimpered, covering his head with the warm sheets of his bed. For a while, he managed the feat of retreating to a new, dark haven of sleep, but the voice was insistent.

“Hannimelkor!”

“Hmmmh”, he complained, rubbing his eyes. The walls were full of painted symbols, that looked like crowns of flowers under the dim light of dawn.

Yehimelkor stood upon the doorway. His arms were crossed under the white folds of his robe, and he was staring at him in disapproval. Slowly, Amandil remembered where he was, and sat down with a brusque start, shaking the last traces of sleep away.

“Coming... Revered Father”, he added, as he remembered further. “Sorry.”

The man shook his head and left. Before he had even stepped on the floor yet, the boy could hear the sound of chanted prayers coming from the adjoining room.

Gathering courage, he headed towards the bathroom. As he had feared, and just like the previous day, the water buckets were cold. For a long moment he stood there, wrapped on his warm woollen shawl and wondering what to do. On that grey, early morning, the temptation to procrastinate grew more and more inviting.

But then, it had been the same the previous day, and it was two days since he last washed himself properly. The water would be cold every single morning; one day would have to be the first.

Repressing a grimace, Amandil washed his head first, then the arms and the legs... and finally, his chest. It was not a thorough washing-up, and he did not dare introduce any of his limbs in the water, but he was nonetheless reduced to a shivering mess by the time he was done. Muttering a curse that he had picked up from the other boys, he sought for the comfort of the heavy white robe he had been given to wear, and folded it as tightly as he could around his body. Unfortunately, his dripping black hair would take a longer time to dry.

He would never grow used to that, he told himself by the time he was hungrily wolfing down his breakfast. Yehimelkor had been right: the Temple was not such a terrible place in itself, and there were no Orcs or Balrogs there. The priests were not so different from the merchants of Sor, and there were lots of boys of his own age living with them, just as the merchants´s children that he had sometimes played with. The rooms were nicer than those in the Palace, staying with Yehimelkor was not so terrible as he had been told it would be– but why, oh, why did the man have to wash with cold water?

On the second night that Amandil had spent in the temple, still scared out of his wits by the dreadful experience with the fire, four boys had approached him with unpleasant smiles, and asked him whom would he live with. Any boy who entered the Temple had to live with one of the priests until he pronounced the Fourth Vow- one more of those complicated things-, serve him, and hold him in the highest reverence after the High Priest. Then, they began to mention a lot of priests that Amandil had never heard of, telling him nasty stories about each one of them. To make them stop, Amandil had told them that he had chosen Yehimelkor. They stared at him, dumbfounded, then started to laugh and told him that he was mad.

Yehimelkor, they said, had never been chosen by anyone. To live with him meant spending all nights in prayer, eating once a week, performing painful rituals and –it was rumoured- participating in his dark invocations. Amandil had shaken his head, a bit intimidated but refusing to give in to their words. It was simple enough: Yehimelkor was the only one who had told him the truth, while the others would have let him die. Therefore, he was the only one he trusted, or the one he distrusted less, and it would have to be him.

Besides, it was the only name he knew.

He would only ever admit it to himself, but when he was taken to his new chambers, the terror he had felt on his first days was about to break to the surface again. He could not believe that he had chosen to spend his life with that Morgoth worshipper who had said horrible things to him as he stood next to the fire. On the first night he had been brought there, his stomach clenched and fell to his feet, and for a moment he thought of escaping.

Yehimelkor, however, had been quite matter-of-fact about it all. He had not tried to bewitch him or drag him to any ritual, though he did spend all his nights muttering in his chambers. Amandil had never seen him sleep, but this, oddly, brought less disquiet than a strange feeling of security. It meant that there was no silent darkness anymore, like there had been in the Palace. Nightmares still came and went, just like before, but now he always awoke to a faint light and a familiar voice in the neighbouring room.

Compared with the fear and incertitude of the previous days, Amandil saw those as an improvement. He missed his parents, but he discovered that the other boys did, too. If they were brave about it, he could not be the only coward. He was not ashamed to be the only one to have nightmares, though - none of those boys had been threatened with being burned.

After he was finished with food, he wiped his mouth carefully, and knelt next to Yehimelkor to join him in prayer. He was supposed to repeat everything that the priest said, but the words were in a devilish Adûnaic that he did not understand. So he just muttered back similar sounds, wondering if they were a spell of some sort.

This went on hour after hour –or so it felt to him- until his knees began to hurt and his head was turning in dizzy circles. Then, Yehimelkor stood up, and he could barely repress a sigh of relief as he followed him to his library.

“Today, you will learn about the creation of the world.” the priest said, the first real words that he had addressed to him since the start of the morning. Amandil nodded dutifully, enjoying the wonderful softness of the chair.

Still, when Yehimelkor began to talk in his vigorous voice, it was all that the boy could do not to get ignominiously lost somewhere around the third sentence. There was something about a humid mud, and something else about darkness, and then a long story with names, and names, and names that he had not heard in his life.

Taken by a poignant longing, Amandil remembered the happy days when Mother taught him, and she smiled whenever he told her that he had understood. Back then, he had felt very clever, but now, face to face with that man who shot his boundless knowledge at him, he felt like an idiot.

“You are not paying attention”, Yehimelkor snapped. Amandil shook his head.

“I... do not understand”, he confessed.

The priest stared at him. Amandil met his eyes, doing his best not to squirm. A surge of frustration darkened them for a moment, making him tense in alert, but then it was gone, replaced by a resigned look.

With a sigh, Yehimelkor stood up, picked another book from the library, and gave it to him. It was a basic Adûnaic reading method.

Amandil blinked, wondering if he had read the cover right. His mouth opened to ask a question, but Yehimelkor had already picked a dusty scroll that had completely absorbed his attention. Something told him that it would be better if he kept quiet and pretended to be reading.

And yet... it was so boring! Aleph, bet, gimel, dalet, he, waw, zayin, het...he had learned all those ages ago. A humiliating thought crossed his mind: maybe Yehimelkor had decided that he was truly an idiot, just because he had not understood the complicated names?

He decided to count the pages of the book, just to see if he was still clever enough to reach the higher numbers quickly. One, two, three... thirteen, fourteen, sixteen... twenty, thirty....

“What are you doing now?” an irritated voice stopped the count. “I gave you that book to read, not to play.”

Amandil pursed his lips firmly. It was not his fault that he had been given that baby book!

“I already know how to read”, he declared. Yehimelkor did not look impressed, but at least he studied him with some interest.

“Then, why did you not say so?”

Amandil could not think of a reason, so he stayed silent. Yehimelkor sighed again.

“Tell me what you know, then.”

“I know how to read and write.” The boy began to tick off his fingers. “I have also learned almost all the Elvish letters, though there are more and they are complicated. I can count, and do all kinds of sums. I speak Quenya. And I know lots of things about the First Age, and the name of all the Valar!”

Just realising that he had probably put his foot in his mouth with the last thing, his enthusiasm was quenched, and he looked down. Those people did not like the Valar.

But Yehimelkor merely continued his interrogation.

“You speak Quenya? Say something in that language to me.”

Amandil thought for a moment, then recited the first phrase of the Valaquenta. And probably put his foot in his mouth yet again, he thought in dismay just as he was done.

For some reason, though, instead of angry, Yehimelkor seemed to grow more and more interested.

“You may be of use, then.” he said, in a thoughtful tone. “What I know on the pronunciation of Quenya does not allow me to make much sense of some texts. Especially hymns.”

Amandil nodded, feeling a bit relieved. That man knew lots of things, everybody said so. If he could be of use to him, then clearly he could not be so stupid.

“Then... what do I read?” he asked, hopefully. Yehimelkor considered him for a moment, in which he looked a bit less severe than he usually did.

“We will see how much Quenya you know”, he finally stated, standing up to search for a new book.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Every day -and this one was no exception-, Amandil and Yehimelkor parted at lunchtime. Amandil headed for the parlour where all boys ate together, and gossips and whispers were exchanged under the frowning vigilance of a priest. Many of them sneered or stared in disgust as he passed them by, but he ignored them and sat next to the small group next to the pillar. Those had been the first to speak to him after he was admitted into the Temple, and thanks to them, he had learned that their lives were similar to that of the other children, only quieter and with more annoying chores. Back in the state in which he had been back then, fearing for Orcs and creatures of the darkness to appear at each turn of a corner, he had appreciated this information very much. It had been the first day in which he could sleep.

Afterwards, he had the duty to tend to the fire for the afternoon. Bracing himself, he entered the altar that he hated so much, and sat as far from the flames as he could. Two other boys were already there, but Amandil did not know them, so he did not say a word.

Not even five minutes later, one of them was sitting next to him, indiscreetly peering at his face.

“Urgh! Did you see those eyes? And the nose! The boys were right, he really looks like an Elf.”

“Go away”, he said. For them, the word “Elf” was not a compliment.

Before the boy could answer, his companion approached too, a bit more cautiously. Their stares made Amandil so uncomfortable that he stood up and strode away.

“Not an Elf, Abibal. A noble!” this last boy said. Amandil stopped in his tracks,  curious in spite of himself. “Nobles have grey eyes.”

Abibal turned to him, challenging.

“And how do you know that?”

“I know it because my father was part of the retinue of the house of Forostar in Armenelos.” the boy said. “Once, he brought me with him, and I saw the lord of Forostar himself. And he had his same eyes!”

“Did he?” Amandil returned to his place to follow the discussion in silence, but Abibal was not finished with him. “Are you a noble?”

He shrugged nervously, searching for a quick answer. Both boys were looking at him in renewed interest.

“Eh? No, I am not”, he muttered. All of a sudden, he had an idea. “I am a foreigner, though. I am the son of a rich merchant from Gadir.”

“Gadir?” Abibal opened eyes like saucers, as if the mention of such a distant place was more interesting than nobility. His companion, who was cleverer, frowned in confusion.

“Then, what are you doing here? Gadir has the oldest temple of Melkor ever. You could have stayed there.”

Amandil bit his lip. He was caught – he really should have started learning how all those things worked by now!

And yet... there was something he had been told the other day....

“I don´t know”, he replied. “I think I was brought here because my ancestors were from Armenelos, and my father had conse-crated me when I was born.”

To his relief, both boys seemed to take this as an acceptable answer.

“I was consecrated when I was a baby, too”, Abibal said with a grumble. “They could have consecrated my brother!”

“Abibal wants to be a soldier”, the other added, conversationally. “To serve the Great God is a bit tedious for some things – you have to be ancient and take all six vows before they let you marry or get in the army, and only with permission.”

“Really?” Amandil looked up at this, very interested. Would he be able to get into the army, too? “I also want to be a soldier.”

The last remains of Abibal´s hostile attitude dissolved with this.

“Do you? There is arms practice in the backyard every afternoon. Ask your Revered Father to let you attend!”

Amandil´s enthusiasm dampened a bit.

“I... well, I do not know if he would allow...”

“Who is he?” the boy asked. The other boy whispered something in his ear that sounded suspiciously like “Yehimelkor”, and both stared at him in shocked compassion.

“He is not that bad”, Amandil rushed to inform them, before they could launch into a set of uncomfortable questions. “I... eat, sleep at nights, and I am not hurt, or bewitched, or... anything, really. Though he bathes with cold water”, he conceded with a grimace. “And I will ask him later, anyway.”

“Good luck “, Abibal conceded with a groan, then frowned as he realised something “What´s your name?”

This gave Amandil some pause. The name “Amandil” was already hanging from his lips, and when reason told him that he could not give it to those boys, it made him sad.

“Hannimelkor”, he muttered, covering his disgust as best as he could. He would never grow used to that, either. Never, ever.

“Elinoam”, the remaining boy introduced himself with a bow.

“Glad to meet you, er, Elinoam, Abibal.” Amandil bowed back, encouraged to have two less disgusted stares meeting him in the parlour everyday. “So... you were also consecrated?”

Elinoam shook his head.

“Not me. I was just introduced in the Temple on my eighth birthday.”

Amandil looked at him, shocked. That custom of vowing the yet unborn or young babies to the temple whenever someone in the family was very ill or in deep trouble was strange enough. But, doing it of one´s own, free will? He grimaced.

“And why? Why did your father do such a... thing?”

“Why?” Elinoam shrugged, then let go of a loud laugh. “Because there is no better job in all of Númenor, of course! To think you would know, of all people, how much of a privilege this is!” His eyes narrowed. “There was a time when merchants like you or nobodies like me were not accepted. Priests of Melkor can get to command armies and even enter the Court!”

“Ah.” Still shocked, Amandil had the good sense not to show it.

Command armies...  He found that there was something in the idea that thrilled him, but also something that he disliked. Maybe it was the idea that he would have to stay in the temple until he was ancient, and take all those vows before he could do it at all.

And he did not want to be a priest of Melkor. When he was old enough to see for himself, he would leave. Until then, he would make good of his word and survive as best as he could.

“I cannot wait to take my first vow next year”, Elinoam mused, dreamily. “My priesthood will truly begin then, and people will bow at me.”

“They will not bow at you until your fourth vow, you idiot!” Abibal sneered.

“But I will not be addressed as a mere servant of the temple!”

Amandil looked at them, and slowly nodded. So that was how it worked, then... time was the only thing that could grant each of them their wishes now.

He only hoped that it would not take too long.

“You are right”, he muttered. “I cannot wait for it, either.”

 

Piercing the Darkness

Read Piercing the Darkness

Forty-six, forty-seven, forty-eight, forty-nine...

Amandil held his weapon with tight hands, as drops of sweat fell down his forehead. His lips curved in a small smile: even a couple of weeks ago, he had been already exhausted before he reached those numbers. He was improving.

The back courtyard was desert at this early hour, except for some birds that sang in shrill tones from the palm tree branches. No boy was there to mock or stare at his lonely practice, no adult frowned in vague disgust at the Intruder of the Temple. For a moment, he could just let his body perform the movements that Abibal had taught him, hold this stick, and let his mind wander.

When he had been a little child in Sor, he had often asked Mother for makeshift swords for his mock battles. His chest swollen with bravery and enthusiasm, he had pretended to fight giant spiders, dragons and Balrogs, and sucessively he had been Beren, Túrin and Glorfindel, the great heroes of the First Age.

Now, those imaginations made him smile, with sufficiency but also a small measure of regret. There was no way to go back to those days, when everything was a child´s play. If he closed his eyes, it was not glorious battlefields of past ages what he saw anymore, but the future, his future. One day, he would sail to Middle-Earth with the army, to fight Orcs and barbarians and see all the countries in the world. There would be no prisons anymore: to be a warrior meant to be on one´s own, and inspire fear in his enemies.

And none of those priests would be able to hold him back.

Fifty-seven, fifty-eight, fifty-nine, and sixty thrusts and parries. In a battlefield, Abibal had told him, this would have meant killing loads of enemies, but he had to be careful not to let them creep behind his back. He whirled around to give another thrust, and yelled in enthusiasm.

Something burned in his chest, and it made him so happy to let it go. Sixty-two, sixty-three – his sword was becoming heavier.

Suddenly, absorbed in his task as he was, he thought he heard the sound of footsteps behind his back. Surely one of the boys. He decided to ignore him until he left, sixty-four...

“Hannimelkor.”

The name made him jump; all his visions faded away. Taken out of his pleasant fantasies by a feeling of alarm, he stopped the exercise, and slowly turned back.

Just as he had feared, Yehimelkor stood in the doorway, arms crossed under his robes and keeping still like an intimidating statue. His glare was seething.

Amandil´s spirit sunk to his feet. What was he doing there? He never set a foot out of his quarters in the morning. Maybe someone malicious had wanted to get him in trouble?

If it had been one of the boys...

“I...” he began, then stopped, feeling stupid. What on Earth could he say? The priest had stated clearly enough that he did not want him to do arms practice, with others or alone. Many times.

Way too many times.

“Come with me.” Yehimelkor ordered. Amandil pressed his borrowed sword against his chest, refusing to leave it behind even though he knew that its very sight would make the man´s anger rise. Then, he sighed, and followed him through the corridors, his eyes fixed on the hem of his white robes.

It was difficult to follow the longer strides of the priest, who seemed to be taken by an even more pressing impatience than usual. Of course, Amandil thought, swallowing, he had to be furious. He tried to use his time to make up the words he was going to say, but there was no excuse for his behaviour that he could think of.

As they entered Yehimelkor´s quarters and headed for his study room, Amandil remembered, not without some bitterness, the previous feeling of power and freedom that he had experienced. Here he was now, the mighty warrior - a cowering little boy!

Ashamed, he took breath, and made the resolve to at least keep his dignity. Even if Yehimelkor´s eyes were so deep, and penetrated him so intensely.

“I am sorry.” he said. Yehimelkor frowned.

“You should not apologise if you would do the same thing again.”

This was so direct and to the point that Amandil could not find a reply. Refusing to look flustered,  he put the sword aside, and sat on the floor in front of the priest.

“And you have done the same thing again, over and over. In the last months, this is the third time I have caught you, or heard of you from one of the priests. No matter what measures are taken to prevent it, you still go back to this same” here, his nose was wrinkled in an expression of contempt” barbaric activities, as if they had a stronger hold in your soul than any other consideration. What should I do, then?”

An old, familiar exasperation seeped into Amandil´s heart at those derisive words, ruining his humble mood. Why did the man have to be so difficult about those things? Abibal and the others never had those problems. It was not fair!

“May I ask a... question?” Even before Yehimelkor had managed an irritated nod, Amandil continued, gesturing with his hands to drive his point home. “The Lord is a warrior god, too. Many of his priests go to arms practice. The other boys are allowed, why can´t I?”

The priest´s voice was dry and severe.

“There are also priests who bed the boys” he snapped back. “And it means what, exactly?”

Amandil tried to repress his frustration. That argument, again. Why didn´t he understand that it wasn´t the same thing?

“But arms practice is not evil!”

“No.” Yehimelkor shook his head. “It only throws your thoughts into disorder, takes your attention away from your studies, and forms useless passions in your heart without allowing you to focus in perfecting your character.”

“But...”

“When you are older, you will do as you wish. But not now.” Yehimelkor stood on his feet in an imperious movement, no doubt intending this to be the end of the discussion. Amandil, however, was feeling too argumentative to let it end so easily.

“When I am older, it will be too late to get properly used to weapons. The Arms Instructor said it!”

Yehimelkor stared at the boy. Amandil needed to gather all his self-control not to flinch, though he could not prevent himself from retreating a little.

“You are not a warrior. You are a priest.” the priest sentenced. Then, a look that betrayed some tired disgust crossed his face, and he shook his head. “Wars, wars! It seems as if nobody thinks of anything anymore. The Eternal King gave us our land in the shape of an island, protected by a sea whose secrets we are the only ones to know, but this is not enough for the sacrilegious urge for power, that bends the will of the gods for the sake of ambition. Our armies have created so many borders for us in the mainland, so many interests, so many weaknesses! “Once again, his eyes focused on Amandil, who was listening to his tirade in surprise. “The Doom of Númenor will come through one of these wars in the mainland. And you will keep to your studies!”

After a moment of search, he took a huge book from his library. With both his arms, he carried it across the room, and let it fall on the table with a loud thump, forgetting his careful rules about book-handling for once.

“In two hours, you are demanded at the parlour, to take part in the cleaning activities for the end of summer prayer. You will stay there until night, and they told me that tomorrow you will be needed again. I hope for your sake that you manage to study your lessons in the time that remains to you,” he said. Then, he turned away and left, leaving Amandil alone with the book.

Shaking a dazed feeling away, the boy lifted the animal-skin covers of the volume. A cloud of dust made him cough, and he saw line after line of Adûnaic words written in ancient script. As he managed, with much difficulty, to read some of it, he realised that they were hymns to Melkor, listing all his good deeds towards the Númenoreans, his ridiculous epithets, and his titles.

In renewed dismay, he recalled the lands and countries that he had imagined, back when he waved the sword in front of his eyes. He recalled the freedom he had experienced, far away from the temple, its fires, its prayers and its suffocating rules, only trusting his arm to keep himself safe from whoever would attack him.

Taken by an impulse, he closed the book again, and fled the room. He would ask for extra cleaning duties outside. Anything but stay there for a moment longer, sitting in the dark with that dusty book and dreaming of what he was not allowed to have.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The End of Summer Prayer was one of the most important ceremonies held in the temple of Melkor during the year. With bright-eyed enthusiasm, Elinoam proceeded in the following days to illustrate Amandil about its different stages. On the first day, the King and his family would arrive in a public procession, and they would stay at their reserved quarters behind the Temple. Everybody would have to fast – but he should not worry, as the next day, after the Great Ceremony, there would be delicious things and they would be able to take as much as they wanted. Not like the children in the street, who had to stay outside watching them eat.

There would be two ceremonies, one involving only the King and the priests, and the other with all the royal family and the most important people in the kingdom. The young of the Temple were greatly excited about the last one, so much that for the three days that Amandil worked with them polishing the floors and ornating the walls and altars, he rarely heard them speak of anything else.

He was not quite as happy as they were about that whole thing. The King they made such a fuss about was still often in his nightmares, though he had never told anyone about that. Rather than seeing him again, he preferred to flee as far as he could, even if that meant getting in trouble and missing their feast. He doubted that he would be hungry anyway.

Meanwhile, his waning grudge against Yehimelkor had begun to make place for less biased and glowering thoughts. Already on the following morning, he was forced to admit to himself that his own behaviour had been completely against the rules. Nobody talked back to the priests in the Temple, period, even if they did not agree with what they said. Whenever he remembered it, his cheeks went red.

The same day of the procession, he allowed himself to be proud in front of his envious companions as Yehimelkor was designated to bear the bowl of sacred water in the festivities. And later, in their chambers, he extended him a peace offering of sorts, arranging the folds of the priest´s robes as well and solemnly as he could.

This, however, was no obstacle to his plan of taking advantage of the ruckus to flee somewhere quiet and practice with Abibal´s sword. Altars, fire and the King were a dreadful combination that made him sick in the stomach, and brought awful memories that were better buried in a corner of his mind. Yehimelkor would be too busy to catch him again, and the other boys would be at the upper galleries, fighting for a peek from the small, latticed window on top of the altar.

The ceremony had already started when Amandil tiptoed downstairs. Easily evading the few watchers who lingered on the corridors, he headed for the back courtyard again. He wanted to be as far away from those people as possible, at least today. He wanted to feel free again – to forget...

As he reached his small sanctuary, however, he froze still. He could hear strange noises, like women voices, and a ringing laugh so close to him that he stared left and right, bewildered. The courtyard was empty.

Wary, Amandil inspected the place. After some observation, he realized that the laughing women had to be behind the stone wall of the back, where there were lush treetops that grew entwined in an impenetrable net. Since he had arrived to the Temple that place had always been empty, so he had never wondered or asked who lived in it.

As he was immersed in those thoughts, he heard the noise of snapping twigs somewhere behind him. He whirled back.

Nothing.

Slowly, his eyes became accustomed to the sun and the distance, and he looked again. This time, he made out a small silhouette perching over the wall, almost at the place where the Temple and the courtyard wall collided. He tightened his grip on the wooden sword, and ran in the direction of the intruder.

The intruder made no effort whatsoever to flee, even when Amandil stopped to take breath right under his feet. It was a boy, who sat comfortably on the wall with his feet dangling down while he chewed on a very appetizing pomegranate. Spilled drops of red liquid stained his cheeks and hands, which seemed to give a golden glow under the sunlight.

Under the stains, the boy was dressed in the richest clothes that Amandil had seen in a long time. They were green silk, embroidered with gold, and his curly, dark-brown hair was held by a cord that looked like plaited gold as well.

After a second of mutual surprise, the boy was the one who reacted first. Swiftly, he picked another fruit from a long and heavy branch that sagged towards the floor of the Temple, and threw it in Amandil´s direction.

“Take it!”

Still astonished, Amandil´s hands reacted to the command, and he let the wooden sword fall to the floor to pick the pomegranate. Cradling it in his hands, he looked up again.

The boy´s lips curved in a smile of self-satisfaction.

“Ha! Now you are guilty, too. You cannot tell on me.”

“Tell on you?” Amandil repeated, more puzzled than ever. He also was hungry and thirsty after going without food for a day, so he tore the fruit open and began sucking on it avidly. “What would I tell on you for? And who are you?”

The boy stared at him.

“I am supposed to be fasting. You, too. You are a priest, aren´t you?”

Amandil shook his head. With the back of his hand, he wiped the juice from his mouth.

“No. I am Hannimelkor, a servant of the temple.”

“Ah.” The boy nodded, then his eyes took a glint of arrogance. “I am Pharazôn, grandson of the King.”

The pomegranate that Amandil was holding fell to the floor with a muted squish. A curse, the one that Yehimelkor disliked the most, almost escaped his lips in his shock, but he managed to get a grip on himself.

Grandson of the King. It figured. Of all the boys in Armenelos he had to meet with the grandson of the King, in the backyard of the Temple. And this when he was supposed to be fleeing his horrible, hateful grandfather who had wanted to kill him.

Still, if there was something that Amandil did not want in his life, it was more problems. So he sent a quick look in the direction of the other boy, who seemed to be expecting him to look suitably awed, and gave him an awkward bow.

“How do I... call you, then?” he asked, deciding to be practical before everything.

Pharazôn´s smile, however, was friendly, and nothing at all like Ar-Gimilzôr.

“You may call me by my name.” he graciously conceded. “Is that a sword?”

Still a bit dazed, Amandil knelt to pick it up again.

“A practice sword. Like a... wooden stick, but a bit more polished.”

Pharazôn looked very impressed.

“Do you practice swordsmanship?”

“I suppose. How did you manage to climb up that wall?”

But the boy seemed too interested by the sword to accept Amandil´s attempts to change the subject. As if he hadn´t even heard his question, he kept looking at the weapon with covetous eyes.

“I want to have a sword and practice arms training, too.” he said, frowning. “But my mother says that I am too young for that.”

Amandil calculated his height, and the childishness of his features. He was probably younger than him, a year or two at least. And yet, he was well aware that the opinion of adults about when was old enough tended to differ.

He shrugged, deciding to speak the truth.

“To be honest, my revered father does not allow me to practice, either. Not my real father, but in the Temple we call them like that.” he added, somehow not wanting the two concepts to become muddled. “I come here to do it in secret.”

If it could be possible, now Pharazôn looked even more impressed. If one was to judge by his expression, Amandil thought that he had probably just given that Prince ideas that his mother would not appreciate.

“You taught yourself?”

Amandil shook his head.

“Another boy, Abibal, goes to arms training, and then teaches me what he has learned. I practice alone.”

Pharazôn nodded slowly, as if the sense of those words was laboriously sinking in his brain. Then, his expression changed again, and he frowned in determination as he gave him a commanding look.

“Teach me.”

Amandil stared at him, uncomprehending.

“What?”

“Teach me!” the boy repeated. “If you learned this way, I can learn as you did.”

“But...” Amandil bit his lip. He could not believe that this was happening. “You have no sword.”

“I broke a branch yesterday that has the same shape.” Pharazôn replied. Before the other boy could say anything else, he jumped to the floor at the other side, and disappeared from his sight. Amandil heard the sounds of breaking twigs, and then the curly head emerged again from the old, gnawed stone.

“Here it is!” he announced. With great agility, he held the tree branch and let his body slide to the courtyard floor, the promised sword safely pressed against his chest. For a moment, Amandil thought that the branch would break under his weight, but it just made an alarming creaking sound. “Now, teach me!”

In silence, he inspected the weapon. Pharazôn had probably used it to play before, because the sticks and leaves had been carefully pulled off. He tried it several times, and realised that it weighed a little less than required, but who could dissuade the boy now? He was looking at him insistently, not taking well to any delay. And he was a prince and all...

Amandil also had to admit to feeling a tiny bit flattered, but that had nothing to do with anything.

“Here, take this stance.” he ordered with a shrug.

Once he was set to something, he found that Pharazôn went all the way into it. He did everything he was told, listening to each of his instructions as if they were some kind of divine revelation. Soon, he was already asking for a fight, and Amandil reluctantly obliged.

Without any serious practice, of course, the boy´s skills were almost nonexistant. Basic prudence dictated that he should go easy on a prince who had probably never got hurt in his life, and whose parents could easily have a servant of the Temple killed. And yet, Amandil realised when he took his sword to fight his adversary, prudence had nothing to do with what happened afterwards.

He was prisoner of his own skill, even as he efficiently parried the unexperienced blows of his adversary. He felt powerful, and it was a wonderful sensation, more than anything he had ever experienced when he fought alone. When he had Pharazôn stumble and fall to the ground at his feet, he almost felt the need to laugh in fierce pride – the King might have wanted his head, but his grandson could not even manage to touch him once.

Then, however, Pharazôn stood up, and demanded another round. And after he lost that one, he demanded another, and then another. Amandil´s triumphal and uncharitable mood was slowly changed, in spite of himself, by his persistence. He felt a dawning respect towards his opponent.

In the end, he had to be the one to say that he was tired and that he could not fight anymore- he did not want to keep this going on for any longer. There was already a bruise on the young boy´s cheek, and another on his left arm, but in spite of this, his enthusiasm was completely undimmed.

“I want you to be my teacher.” he solemnly declared. Amandil shook his head, still panting.

“That´s impossible. I cannot leave the Temple.”

Once again, Pharazôn´s eyes showed that he had rarely been crossed in his life.

“I will come here several times a year. There are lots of ceremonies, and now I am old enough to go to them. Whenever I am here for one, I will come to this place, and you will wait for me.”

Amandil cautiously nodded.

Why not? He remembered the look in his eyes as he repressed a groan of pain and stood up after receiving a blow to his left arm – that had impressed him.

He would never set foot on the Palace again, though.

“You should convince your mother to let you have some classes in-between.” he recommended. “Otherwise, I will always beat you.”

Pharazôn shook his head proudly.

“Next time, I will beat you.” He took a long breath, then turned towards Amandil “One day, I will be the greatest warrior king that Númenor has ever known, and I will conquer the world. You can be in my army, if you want.” he offered after a moment of thought.

Amandil frowned in renewed surprise.

King? You are going to be King?”

Pharazôn bathed in his shock, taking it for simple admiration.

“My mother told me I would. She knows everything.”

As he digested those puzzling news, a thought slipped insidiously into Amandil´s mind, and he wondered what Yehimelkor would say of Pharazôn´s plans. He chuckled, imagining the priest´s fuming ire at such a crime against the God´s will.

To him, though, the plan seemed as good as any.

“Thank you.” he said. “I would like that very much.”

This brief moment of understanding was broken by the sound of a woman´s voice. Amandil´s ears perked up, and then he heard it calling Pharazôn´s name.

The other boy stood up, frowning.

“Stupid women! They will not leave me alone for a minute!” he grumbled. “There, now I have to leave. I do not want them to discover my secret passage.”

The secret passage in question was more like a very risky climb up a wall, with the only help of a tree branch that seemed more ready to crack at each passing moment. Amandil watched him go up in some anxiety, but relaxed when he realised that Pharazôn encountered no trouble.

“Wait for me the next time!” the prince reminded him before the jump. Amandil nodded to the wall.

If anyone should learn of what had just happened there, they would not believe him.

“I will.” he promised. Then, he blinked and turned back, feeling, all of a sudden, strangely alone in the empty courtyard.

 

Weaving Threads

Read Weaving Threads

“My lady?”

The Princess of the South sat on her porch, protected from the sunrays by the twisted boughs of a vine tree. Chestnut tresses fell freely down her back, as she let the warm breeze dry the golden dye of her upper locks.

“Yes?” she asked, in a deep, sleepy voice. The woman advanced a few steps and bowed in front of her, letting the folds of her dress fall at both sides. Her hand was holding a folded piece of paper, humid from her sweat.

“The Lady of the Keys gave me this letter for you. She told me a strange story about it: according to her, a beautiful girl asked one of the women to give it to your son.”

Melkyelid frowned, and extended a hand imperiously.

“Give it to me, Mehedya.”

The woman obeyed, a small, amused smile dancing in her lips. As Melkyelid unfolded it, her eyes fell on a message, written in small and spidery letters. She cleared her throat.

“To the prince Pharazôn, greetings. I have dreamed of you again...” she began, then stopped. Her eyes widened. “What is this?”

Mehedya shook her head.

“I do not know, my lady.”

Melkyelid stared at her in incredulity, and after a while she saw her fingers start to fidget with the golden hems of her dress.

“You have read it already.” she stated. “Oh, I know of your curiosity.”

“I am sorry, my lady...”

The Princess dismissed her apology with a casual wave of her hand.

“Images of you plagued my mind day and night, and I had to draw you to get rid of them. “she continued reading. “Now, I feel alone and empty. Why have you abandoned me? If you are afraid of the people who watch over me, we can meet in the corridor that stretches past the Great Western Hall. There is an empty room there, and I know how to steal the key. Wait for me in the early hours of the afternoon; there is no one around then. The Princess Zimraphel... “Her voice trailed away, and she looked at the paper with increasing surprise. “Why... if this is...!”

Mehedya allowed herself a rippling laugh.

“Now, this is something that would have read alarming enough, had they been a dozen years older! My, my.” She affected to wipe her eyes with the back of her hand. “The prince is a handsome and precocious boy, but who could have imagined that he would  take the Western Wing by assault and start breaking the heart of maidens? Not I, indeed.”

Melkyelid did not smile. Instead, she focused in the message, which she reread several times with a thoughtful frown.

“If there is someone being... precocious here, I am sure it is not my son.” she muttered. Mehedya forced her tone to become solemn.

“Of course, my lady. That girl... the daughter of the Prince of Númenor... is not what anyone would call a normal child. I wonder in which circumstances did those two meet. “Her countenance perked up once again. “In any case, this is nothing we cannot be informed of. Shall I summon the little scoundrel here, so you may ask for explanations?”

Melkyelid threw a last glance in the direction of the girl´s lively script, wondering at the tiny fingers which had written it. Then, she folded it again, and held her back with a movement of her hand.

“On the contrary, you are going to give this back to the servant who received it. Who will give it to my son, as our young maiden intended.”

“And then you will have him followed.” the lady-in-waiting guessed. “A clever plan.”

Princess Melkyelid bit her lip in annoyance.

“Do you think that I need to spy on my son?” she asked, with a proud frown. “Know that I do not need any underhanded methods to be aware of his wishes and desires.”

Mehedya shook her head

“And yet he is hiding from us.”

“Not yet. Not yet.” the Princess repeated, in a lower, more thoughtful voice. Then, she gave back the paper, and gestured with her chin. “Go. I would not want him to miss his little appointment.”

The woman seemed about to add something else, but a quick assessment of her lady´s mood convinced her to swallow her words. Lowering her head in a bow, she left without further discussion.

As soon as she crossed the threshold of the porch, Melkyelid´s frown returned. She stared at the vine branches above her head, muttering a name with her beautiful lips.

“Too soon.” she said, with the smallest sigh of regret. A small, speckled bird with an orange chest fluttered among the leaves, searching for its nest. “My Queen, my Lady, is it not too soon?”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“See?” The boy stared at him proudly, trying to hide his gasps for breath as both wiped the sweat from their foreheads. “I told you that it wouldn´t be so easy for you anymore.”

Amandil nodded, impressed in spite of himself. His arm stung, and he knew that he was sporting a growing bruise under his white robes.

“So, you took lessons, after all.”

Pharazôn shook his head.

“I practiced on my own, just like you.” After a moment of thought, however, honesty took the better of his determination, and he blushed. “Well, all right... I convinced the armsmaster of Lord Zakarbal´s household to correct my stances a bit. He asked for the person who had taught them to me, and he was impressed.”

“Huh?” Amandil frowned. Pharazôn looked at him in newfound appreciation.

“He said that they were good.”

“Did he? Well... I cannot be so good if I let you hit me.” the Temple servant grumbled, a bit embarrassed. The last thing he wanted was for a courtier to ask inconvenient questions about him.

“Of course I hit you.” Pharazôn protested, furrowing his brow. “Mother predicted I would be the greatest warrior in this land one day.”

Amandil was about to make an unpleasant comment about mothers being partial when it came to their sons, but he finally chose not to open his mouth. Pharazôn was his friend, no matter how naive and spoiled he could sometimes sound like. It was not his fault that he had a family and a whole army of courtiers fawning over him.

“A warrior king.” he muttered, thoughtfully, remembering what the boy had said to him on their first encounter. Would he be the one who would free his family, as Father had said?

“And you? Are you going to be a warrior priest when you grow up?”

Amandil bit his lip, and reflected on this. To be a priest wasn´t among his future prospects, but it was prudent not to let anybody know about that.

“I suppose.” he shrugged.

“Why?” Pharazôn insisted. Amandil stared at him in surprise.

“Why do you ask?”

“Because Mother told me one day that all true warriors must aim for greatness. Do you aim for greatness, Hannimelkor?” the Prince asked. “I do.”

The older boy wrinkled his nose. Greatness is for kings, he thought.

“I am sure you will be great for both of us.” he finally said, but there was no hint of mockery in his voice. “After all, I´m the one who is teaching the King to fight.”

Pharazôn nodded, proudly.

“The day I have the Dark Lord at my feet begging for mercy, I will tell him that my swordsmanship is the work of Hannimelkor of Armenelos, the most skilled warrior in Númenor after myself!”

Amandil snorted. The ego of a prince really knew no boundaries.

“You have not even defeated me yet.”

Pharazôn grabbed his sword, and waved it in the air with ferocious movements.

“Then, let us fight again!”

“Are you rested?” Amandil asked, doubtfully. The younger boy gave him a cheeky shrug.

“Are you tired?” he retorted at him. Amandil growled, and fell back into a stance.

Fine, then. No fooling around anymore. He would not go easy this time.

Both wooden swords crashed in mid-air with a sharp noise. The boys fell back, panting as they studied each other´s movements.

“Take this!” Pharazôn yelled. Amandil blocked his thrust easily.

“Do not tell the enemy what you´re going to do!” he scolded. As if to underline his words, his own thrust came from an unexpected angle, a move that Abibal had recently taught him –and which had allowed him, once perfected, to defeat the bigger boy.

Pharazôn clenched his teeth to suppress a hiss of pain as the wood connected with his hip. He stumbled a bit, but managed to regain his footing quickly enough. Where did he get that impressive endurance from?

As Amandil waited for him, a different noise reached his ears from behind his back. Whirling around, his glance met the white face of a priest, who was staring at them in astonishment from the courtyard gate. His hands carried a roll of ritual cloth.

Next to him, Pharazôn´s movements also froze to a halt. Keeping his aplomb, the Prince advanced a couple of steps, and sized the man up with a determined look.

“He has not defeated me yet.” he assured him, tightening the grip of his fingers on the makeshift sword hilt.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Do you know what you just did?”

Amandil kept his eyes religiously fixed on the floor patterns, still like a statue under the scrutiny. The High Priest´s voice was calm - soft, even, and yet the boy was not foolish enough as to try to breathe a word in his presence.

Besides, anything he could say would only make the situation worse.

“You attacked – you hurt the grandson of the King.” the voice continued. “Have you an idea of how serious this is?”

The boy heard the sound of footsteps behind his back, and then the rustle of heavy robes as Yehimelkor knelt at his side. He ventured a brief look at his face from the corner of his eyes, forcing himself to be brave and keep his composure. Deep inside, however, he was positively screaming for help. Please, let him not be furious. If he decided to give up on him now... he shuddered to think of what could happen.

“Will you defend his foolishness, Yehimelkor?”

The priest bowed respectfully.

“Your Holiness, it is well known to you that I will never defend mindless fighting.” he said, sending an ominous look in the boy´s direction. Amandil swallowed. “I do have to say, however, that I do not think that this child is any more guilty than the prince in this issue. As it seems, they were practicing swordsmanship, and he had been asked, if not ordered, to teach the son of Prince Gimilkhâd.”

The High Priest thought about this for a moment.

“What you say may be true, but he was still careless. Compared to the life of a child of the royal family, his own is worth little. He should have thought about it before.”

“He rarely thinks about anything, Your Holiness.” Yehimelkor sneered. “And yet, he was chosen by Melkor, so his life is as much under the Lord´s protection as that of the prince.”

Amandil felt his chest filling with hope at those words. If he emerged out of this unscathed, he thought, he would always respect the man, and never, ever do anything against his wishes again.

“So what?” The High Priest frowned, and his eyes bore upon him. “What is your opinion? Should this Temple surrender the boy to the prince´s family so they can obtain their revenge?” he sighed, oblivious, it seemed, to the sudden pallor in Amandil´s face. Surrendering his stoic pretence at last, he sent a terrified glance in Yehimelkor´s direction.

Images that he thought he had left behind fought to enter his agitated mind again. The defiance that he had been mustering for all that time left him in a rush. He saw the fire once more, and the King´s cold eyes passing through him as if he was nothing but dirt in front of his eyes.

He shivered. No!

Yehimelkor´s eyes became hard.

“My opinion is that it would be a grievous error, Your Holiness.”

“Explain yourself.”

“I will.” The priest bowed again. “For many years, we have kept our position carefully balanced with that of the Kings. We are the Great God´s chosen servants, keepers of the holy rites and interpreters of his wishes. Much depends on this state of things, as you well know. “The High Priest nodded slowly to each of his words. “But since Ar-Gimilzôr took the Sceptre, this balance has become more tenuous than ever. The Kings have always had the right to share in our ceremonies, but none of his ancestors had been so intent on it as he is now. In the last years, he has taken over many of our duties with great zeal, and some have been dreading that he intends to proclaim himself the only keeper of the wisdom of the Lord. This will imperil the influence of this Temple and that of his High Priest.”

Amandil listened to this torrent, half-dazed. A part of him wondered what could be the relationship with the issue at hand, but the High Priest seemed to be interested in it. So much that he seemed to have even forgotten about his presence.

“I see.”

“If you humble yourself in front of him, everybody will think you weak, and you will have less power. We must keep our dignity, and protect it at all costs. It is the only way.”

The High Priest arched an eyebrow.

“Do you think me weak, Yehimelkor?”

Amandil wondered if there could be some sort of dangerous edge to this question. His tone sounded only mildly interested.

Yehimelkor shook his head.

“I do not, Your Holiness.”

The High Priest´s lips curved into a smile.

“Then, there is only one way, indeed. You may retire.”

“Let me express my deepest thanks, Your Holiness.”

Still bewildered at the strange exchange that had just taken place, Amandil reacted to the man´s bony touch upon his shoulders, and struggled to his feet to follow him.

As he crossed the threshold of the High Audience Chamber, he felt the knot in his throat dissolve at last.

“What will.... happen to me, then?” he asked in a whisper, needing and dreading the confirmation at the same time. Yehimelkor stopped in his tracks and turned back to measure him up with an annoyed glance.

“You have been caught disobeying my orders on weapons yet again. This makes seven times, Hannimelkor. Seven. Sometimes I still wonder if you do understand Adûnaic like everybody else.”

Amandil lowered his face, humbly.

“I am sorry.”

“You will not step outside your room for ten days. Maybe this will stop your frenzied activity enough as to allow for a bit of reflection.”

Amandil pondered this briefly, then nodded. Had it been twenty days, or forty, right now he could not have brought himself to care. As the realisation that he was, indeed, saved, crashed into his mind, he felt a wave of gratitude fill him until he was about to burst.

“Thank you. I mean... “he rectified, not sure of what he was supposed to say. “I am sorry. I will not do it anymore.”

Yehimelkor snorted.

“Short is the memory of a mindless young boy.” Turning back again, he continued his way through the corridors, and Amandil followed him in silence.

As they were already reaching their chambers, Yehimelkor spoke again.

“Your closeness to the prince Pharazôn worries me, Hannimelkor.” Amandil blinked in surprise. “I trust that you remember who wanted to kill you back then.”

The boy shook his head.

“I remember.” he said in a hoarse voice. “But he... he is nothing like that. He is... a friend. We were not fighting, it´s all... well, practice. We like each other.”

As nobody else has liked me here, he thought, somewhat bitterly, but he kept the last thought to himself. It would not do to complain to the priest about that.

Yehimelkor, however, looked at him with a strange, surprised expression in his face. Amandil thought he could even distinguish a brief flicker of pity in his eyes, but it was gone before he could wonder.

“This is all very well. But you must be careful. Your impulsive nature might get you killed”, he grumbled. The boy nodded at this, without much difficulty. A selfish part of himself was exultant and relieved at the fact that he had not been forbidden from seeing his friend.

“I will be careful.” he promised solemnly.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Why did you have to make such a fuss?” Pharazôn stood on the glazed tiles of the Prince of the South´s chambers, his golden frown fixed on his father in anger . “He will not want to teach me anymore!”

Gimilkhâd´s features were tense, and he stared into the palms of his hands. His voice came out with a hissing sound, as if he was speaking between his teeth.

“This is just as well, then, because you will not see him again.”

The boy´s outrage flared up in a rush.

“Why?”

“Because he is dangerous.” his father replied. Then, he continued in a lower, if not less stressed tone. “I do not want to speak further about this subject.”

Pharazôn glared, putting his hands on his hips.

“Then do not speak about it! But you will never stop me from seeing him!”

“What?” Gimilkhâd looked at him, livid.

“He is my friend!”

Several attempts to form words became tangled and stuck in the prince´s mouth, and for a moment he sat, opening and closing it and breathing heavily. Undaunted, the boy withstood his glance.

“Well, I do not... I do not allow you to be his friend!”

“I am his friend already!” the boy replied, yelling back. “You can´t do anything about it!”

“How dare you talk like this to your father!”

Pharazôn lifted his chin in a disdainful gesture.

“I am the future King! You cannot order me around!”

Whirling round, he gave his back to Gimilkhâd and stormed out of the room. Everything around him became blurred, and he almost crashed against a long-robed figure who stood in the corridor, quietly waiting for him.

“My son.” Melkyelid scolded in a fond voice, stopping his mad rush with her hand. Pharazôn looked up at her, and blinked furiously as she knelt in front of him and the hand caressed his chin. He never cried. “Is this the look you gave your father?”

The boy bit his lip, trying to break free.

“If you are going to side with him, leave me alone!”

The Princess´s features hardened.

“Insolence towards your father is one thing. But your mother gave birth to you, and the Lady in Heaven will punish you if you ever treat her disrespectfully.” Seeing his anger cool down at those words, her lips curved in another loving smile. “Tell me what happened, my child. I will help you.”

For a while, Pharazôn considered her in silence, his determination battling with need. As always, his pride eventually surrendered to that beautiful face that promised him a solution for everything that troubled him. He swallowed.

“He... told me I couldn´t be friends with Hannimelkor. He says that he´s dangerous, but that´s not true! He was teaching me swordsmanship. He´s very good at it... and he´s my friend!”

Melkyelid nodded attentively.

“I understand.” One of her long tresses, brilliant with perfumed oil, fell over her shoulder, and she pushed it back. “Still, you must know that your father has his reasons. Do you know who your friend Hannimelkor really is?”

Pharazôn frowned.

“Who?”

“He is the only heir of the former lords of Andúnië.” she whispered softly in his ear.  “That was why the King forced him to become a priest, or be killed.”

The boy´s eyes widened.

“The traitors?” he mouthed in shock. “But... how´s that possible? That happened before I was born!”

“Of course, my son. He was born in exile, from outlawed parents. He has no name and no honour, and a clouded destiny.”

The boy lowered his glance, reflecting on this. His brows began to knit in a frown, but his mother´s keen eyes also perceived a glint of awe in the corner of his eye. She laid a hand over his shoulders, and smiled.

“This does not deter you, I see.”

Pharazôn shook his head.

“I... were they really going to kill him?”

Melkyelid nodded.

“Miraculously, he managed to wriggle himself out of all threats. Your friend has lived through more than you can imagine, son. Maybe that is why he is a better warrior.” she muttered in a lower, more thoughtful tone. Her son stared at her, now in open fascination.

Upon noticing his expression, she broke in a ringing fit of laughter.

“Why? You still want to be his friend?”

Pharazôn pursed his lips in determination.

“I do.” he stated. “If... if he was an evil Elf-friend, he would not be a priest of Melkor, would he? Melkor wouldn´t have chosen him!” he added in flawless logic. Melkyelid laughed again.

“Indeed, he would not! You are wise, my son.” Her hand caressed his rebellious curls, and the soft fabric of her long sleeve touched his face, leaving a perfumed trail in its wake. “I will help you, as I promised. But there is one condition.”

“What condition?”

The Princess´s features sobered for a moment.

“You will offer your apologies to your father.”

Pharazôn´s features tightened in surprise, then creased in distaste.

“But...!”

Melkyelid raised her hand, interrupting her son´s budding protest.

“I will need to work, lengthly and tirelessly, in order to fulfill your wishes. If you do not do my bidding, and apologise to your father, you will make things even more difficult for me. “She sighed, reproachfully. “Would you do that, my son? Would you scatter hardships in my way, when I am toiling for your sake?”

The strength of the boy´s denial was quenched by those words. Somewhat ashamed, he stared down in painful hesitation, and Melkyelid smiled.

“I knew you would not.” Gracefully she stood up, in a soft rustle of colourful silks, and took his hand in hers. “You and I, my son, will forever be allies.”

Pharazôn stared at her in grave silence. Inside him, there were some emotions in conflict, but he was not skilled at considering them and determining their nature. So he merely stood there, and nodded dutifully to his mother.

She would put everything right. She always did.

But one day, he would not need her help anymore.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

When Melkyelid entered the Prince´s chambers, she found him sitting in front of an ivory table, looking into a glass of wine with a stormy frown. She approached him with her soft steps, and cautiously sat at his side.

A long and uncomfortable silence followed.

“Has our son displeased you?” she finally asked, touching his arm with delicate fingers. He shook himself away ill-temperedly, and glared at her.

“A nice piece of work, indeed, is what you have you made out of him!” he hissed. “You and your... accursed airs! Since the very day he was born, you have always spoken of him as if he was a king, a deliverer, a god, instead of a mere child. And now, look at the results. He does not even respect his father!”

Melkyelid weathered the storm in silence. As Gimilkhâd made a pause to drink, she opened her mouth to reply, but he interrupted her again.

“And this is not the worst. Oh, no, you have even infected me with your overblown beliefs! He is standing there, in front of me, opposing my will, and I cannot even bring myself to open my mouth! “His words died in a humiliated, half-drunken groan. Muttering something, he emptied the cup, and allowed his glance to trail sourly over the distance.

The princess lowered her eyes in regret.

“Great is the weakness of a mother.” she admitted. “I beg you to forgive me.”

He did not answer.

“He was taken by his impulsive nature, and now he regrets it deeply. “she continued. “He only wishes to apologise to you.”

“Apologise?” he snorted in disbelief. Still, his haughtiness also seemed a little surprised, if not mollified. “So he wants to apologise, now? The nerve...!”

“We never know to which purpose do the gods govern the impulses of a young boy.” she added, furrowing her brow. “His friendship with this Hannimelkor...”

“His name is Amandil.” Gimilkhâd cut her. “And I do not wish to discuss him.”

“I am sorry.” she said, “but what if...?”

“Enough!” he yelled. “I said I would not discuss him!”

Melkyelid stood up. Her chair made a loud noise as it was dragged back across the floor, causing Gimilkhâd to look up sharply, but she simply joined hands over the robes that hung in heavy folds over her stomach.

“Excuse me. “ she began. “Since the day I was born in Gadir, the Goddess bestowed all her blessings on me, welcomed and nurtured me as her only and most beloved child. She taught me the many paths and ways of her service, and I laid my heart and soul at her feet. She gave me a brilliant future, wove it into my dreams, and wrote it in the stars.” Her husband, taken out from his drunken sulk by shock, studied her in quiet astonishment. She withstood his glance, and continued her passionate speech. “When my son was born, I took all the favours, all the joys that the Lady had destined for me, and heaped them upon his head. Both our fortunes are his, and this is why I know that he will be King and that no evil will ever be able to touch him. The Goddess guides his every step towards his destiny, and I am a mere servant to her will.” Her eyes narrowed in determination. “It was not by mere chance, or ill luck, that he met the heir of Andúnië, I know this. So please, listen to me. Help me to reach an understanding of her message, for us and our son´s sake!.”

The uncomprehending expression became more and more pronounced in Gimilkhâd´s features as he listened to his wife. He shook his head, confused.

“Help you? What message?”

Melkyelid smiled, encouraged, and looked down with a blush.

“I... am a woman, and I know little about politics. My only knowledge comes from the times when you have chosen to share your problems with me. And yet... there is one thing that is obvious to all those who live in this Palace, even the kitchen girls. Your brother, the Prince of Númenor, will one day be King.”

Her husband nodded, reluctantly.

“And once that he does...  would he not want to restore the traitors –may the Doom take them!- to their former honours?”

Gimilkhâd frowned in deep distaste at the question.

“He probably will.” he finally muttered, with a grimace. “He is a traitor, himself. My father...” His voice trailed away, then he shook his head as if to chase a dark thought. “Only his blood protected him from suffering their same fate back then.”

Melkyelid wrinkled her nose in distaste.

“And, do you think they would hold a seat in the Council? After having been pronounced traitors to Númenor?”

“The day my brother has his way, yes. They will try to rule through him.” her husband explained. “Luckily, our supporters are a majority in Númenor, and we will not let them do as they please.”

The Princess smiled.

“That sounds reassuring. Still...” She frowned again. “I have lived in this Palace for long, and heard things. Sometimes, I cannot help but wonder how many of those supporters are really loyal.” Gimilkhâd looked about to protest, but she quickly continued before he could speak. “Oh, I do not mean that they are traitors. But when there is civil strife, many people survive by following the flow of the tide and weathering the storm. Now that your father is king, they are with him, but will they be against your brother once they see him holding the Sceptre? Will they rise and fight their King, even if they are against his policies?”

Gimilkhâd sought for the wine jar, and filled his cup again. For a while, an uncomfortable silence reigned in the chamber.

“Go on.” he said at last, surprisingly quiet. “What are you trying to get at?”

“I think that Amandil, future Lord of Andúnië, may be one of our greatest allies in years to come.” she complied. “And that this is the splendid gift of the Lady of Storms to our son.”

Then, before her astonished husband could come up with an answer, she bent her head in a parting bow, gathered the folds of her dress in her hands, and discreetly left him to ponder her words.

 

Amalket and Zimraphel

Read Amalket and Zimraphel

A slight drizzle was falling as Amandil left the Temple, and the dark clouds that loomed over Armenelos had sped the arrival of the spring night. Groaning in discomfort, he threw his hood over his head, and fixed his glance on the puddles that were starting to form over the stone pavement.

 

Even the sky seemed determined to make him behave like a good novice, he thought, with a kind of irony. It forced him to bow his head and look down.

 

At least Yehimelkor should be busy enough now with the April night vigils. Amandil, who had known him for all those years, was aware that the priest disliked to be distracted from his private contemplations to take part in such things, though he would never have said as much in words. It was a gift for his pupil in any case, for it enabled him to leave their retreat and seek Amalket in the busy centre of Armenelos.

 

Unfortunately, Pharazôn had learned of his free night through an indiscretion of his own, and had wasted no time inviting him to one of those parties where there were always many guards of the Palace and courtesans, and everybody ended either in bed or drunk. None of those two options seemed acceptable if he was to seek her afterwards, but he wondered if he would be able to escape unscathed.

 

The inn was not far from the Palace, and barely two streets away from the quarters of the guards. Amandil took away his drenched hood, passing a hand through his forehead, and addressed the innkeeper. There were some things about Pharazôn that he would never wholly understand, he thought as he checked the look of the place and the groups of people who drank in the corners. How, having been born in the Palace, he could enjoy cheap inns that would have even given Amandil pause was one of them.

 

The man bowed obsequiously to him, and asked him to follow. As soon as they set foot on the backyard – a little square with a well and no pavement that was already beginning to ressemble a mire-, the sound of loud male shouts and strident female laughter reached his ears. When the man threw the door of the private chamber open, the sight almost made him wince. Few steps away from the threshold, a man, heavily loaded with drink by the look of his face, was kissing a giggling woman upon the floor.

 

Now, that was fast.

 

“Alas, much have I missed!” he remarked sarcastically, as the door was closed behind his back. Pharazôn lifted his eyes at the sound of his voice, interrupting the animated conversation that he was having with his guests behind a low table full of empty jars. His golden brow was crowned with a makeshift circlet of branches, which, together with his mantle of royal purple, made him stand out from the crowd. The brown curls of his head had already begun to look dishevelled, and the red in his cheeks told Amandil that he had also drunk his share.

 

“You are late!” he scolded merrily. “Come and sit with me!”

 

Amandil strode towards the crowded space, just as some of the men began to push back to leave room for him among great confusion. Finally, one of them stood up and vacated his place at the old stool, and sat on the floor next to a companion. A courtesan followed suit, arranging her expensive robes over the dirty planks with a surly look.

 

“His robes are wet.” said a young man in an elegant outfit who sat at Pharazôn´s other side, wrinkling his nose. Amandil recognised him at once: it was Pummyaton, the son of the foster brother of Pharazôn´s father. That courtier had never seemed to like him much, probably out of jealousy.

 

Pharazôn, of course, was always oblivious enough to make things worse. Ignoring him, he focused on his newly arrived friend, and lay an arm over his shoulders.

 

“Do you know what?” he told him with a grin. Amandil shook his head, slowly getting used to the heat and the smell of wine. “Iqbal, of the Gate Guards, brought his brother to meet us today. His name is Setbal, and he is the man who is sitting next to you. Isn´t he impressive?” A man of about thirty or forty, with dark skin and serious eyes, bowed at this introduction of sorts. The width of his shoulders was indeed impressive, and there was a long scar in his cheek. “He is stationed in Sor right now, but until last year he was a soldier in Umbar!”

 

The delight in Pharazôn´s voice was evident. Amandil nodded, interested.

 

“He was telling us about the last campaign...”

 

“Oh, that was no campaign! “the man protested. “Just a few skirmishes...”

 

The young novice of Melkor did not miss the collision of Iqbal´s elbow with his brother´s ribs. It was well known by everyone that tales and talk of battles never failed to kindle a bright fire in the prince´s eyes, and that any man who had ever wielded a sword was sure to gain access to him. One day, it was rumoured, Pharazôn would be the first member of the royal family since Ar-Adunakhôr who would not stay content with a life of leisure in the peaceful island.

 

“The desert tribes assaulted a post that was close to Umbar, and killed the people who lived there.” Pharazôn continued, ignoring them. Then, he tried to drink, and realised that his cup was empty. “What? This is a shame! Who has decided that I should go without wine?”

 

One of the courtesans, a beautiful woman with golden ribbons in her tresses, waded through the other guests with a jar in her hands. Amandil admired the skill with which she prevented it from falling to the floor in several ocassions, even when one of the merry drunkards pulled her sleeve just to make a good joke.

 

“A shame, indeed.” she tsked, refilling the cup. Then, her glance shifted towards Amandil, and she let her eyes widen in affected surprise. “Oh, my! A man who isn´t drinking!”

 

“By the King of Armenelos, how could that possibly be?” Pharazôn cried. “A cup for this man, at once! He is my friend, the best swordsman in Númenor and a sacred priest of the Great God!”

 

“Such a ruckus.” Pummyaton shook his head, offering an empty cup to Amandil. “Here you are, Your Holiness.”

 

The woman poured the scented wine with a steady pulse. Amandil nodded and gulped it down –sipping on it would have been unacceptable in the present company-, but when she was about to turn back and leave, Pharazôn held her by the sleeve of her dress.

 

“Where are you going? Stay with us, too.” he invited. The courtesan covered her mouth with her free sleeve and giggled, honoured, while the confusion of pushing others back and rearranging the sitting space started anew in both ends. This time, it was another of the guards who had to leave the stool, and the woman sat between Pharazôn and Pummyaton.

 

“And now for your story!” the prince reminded, drinking and caressing the woman´s neck with a daring hand. She leaned against him, and presented Amandil with a breathtaking view of her pale and graceful breast.

 

He swallowed, remembering who was waiting for him. All of a sudden, he felt an overpowering wish to leave, and he had to force himself to stay seated between his half-drunk friend and the Sorian soldier´s animated chatter.

 

The men talked about glorious –and not so glorious- wars against the fierce natives, who had been a threat to the Númenoreans of Umbar ever since the city was established in a corner of what had been their vast territory. Pharazôn listened in rapt attention, and asked questions while his bored woman´s attempts to distract him from the conversation grew more and more obvious. Pummyaton, disgusted at the amount of fussing and kissing that was taking place in his immediate vicinity, abandoned the stool and began courting a woman of his own.

 

Amandil grew interested after a while, and even asked some questions, though they tended to focus on details that made Pharazôn shrug, like the exploration trips that had been made across the Southern desert, or how the settlements of the natives looked like. At some moment, a woman came in with painted ceramic bowls full of dates, and once that he checked that most of his companions did not care much for them, he hid some in his sleeve while they were busy talking. He knew of someone who would surely appreciate them much more.

 

When the same woman came a while later to collect the bowls, he realised that she was evaluating him with a predatory glance. His daydreaming evaporated, and he tensed.

 

“You do not seem to be drinking much.” she observed in a singsong tone, leaning her head to the side. Her hair was arranged in a complicated knot that fell down her neck, and it had probably been dyed black, judging by the clear colour of her eyes. Her lips were full and sensual.

 

“This is my fourth cup.” he lied. She arched an eyebrow.

 

“Four cups and all you can think about is martial exploits? Why, I cannot believe it!”

 

“Indeed!” Iqbal laughed. Too late, Amandil understood her strategy, and cursed between his teeth. “Has he made a celibacy vow, the little priest of Melkor?”

 

“When you are in a party, you are not supposed to preach saintly ways –even if you´re a priest!” his brother snorted. Pharazôn stared at him with a curious frown.

 

“Women say that there is no better lover than a priest of Melkor.” the courtesan continued her taunting. “Alas for empty fame!”

 

Amandil let go of a deep breath, more and more annoyed at each passing moment. It was not his fourth cup, true, but it was at least his second, and he was already feeling the jaws of danger close on him with sinister accuracy. And you deserve it, Yehimelkor would have told him dryly if he could have seen him now. It is a fool who surrounds himself with fools.

 

He stood up, muttering something, and took advantage of their surprise to leave the place with as much dignity as he could. He did not care if those louts and that whore considered him a coward. He would explain the truth to Pharazôn, once and for all – when he was sober, and certainly when they were alone.

 

As he reached the courtyard of the inn, he stopped in his tracks to close his eyes, and welcomed the cool breeze of the night upon his sweating face. Slowly, the dizziness and the drunken haze faded away, and his head began to clear. The rain had stopped falling at some point of the feast.

 

Thinking about it, he realised now that his abrupt exit had not only been a show of cowardice, but also rude to his friend who had invited him. While he sorted out and carefully put away the sweet dates on his sleeve, he sincerely hoped that he had been too drunk to care.

 

As if some high being up there had heard his wish and decided to have a laugh at his expense, however, just then he heard the sound of unsteady steps over the wooden planks of the porch behind his back. He swallowed, and turned around.

 

It was Pharazôn, who had abandoned the wine, the talk of battles and the courtesan´s embrace in order to come after him. The effects of wine were apparent in his clumsy movements, and yet there was an almost sober scowl upon his forehead as he fixed his eyes on his.

 

“You are hiding something from me!” he growled. So like Pharazôn, to skip over the bulk of boring proceedings.

 

Amandil withstood the accusing glance.

 

“Is there anything you would want to know?” he asked mildly, arching an eyebrow. The prince stared at him in puzzlement for some time, then shook his head with a groan.

 

“Did you think that you would steal all those dates without anyone noticing? And not only that, you drank almost nothing –such a good wine, it is, that is why I like to come here at all!-, and what to say about the women? You avoided them like they were those sea-monsters that crawl ashore once in a hundred years and take human shape! Those sar... ser... serpents?, oh, curse it, who cares how they are called?”

 

“Sirens.” Amandil offered, helpfully. Pharazôn barely gave him an answering nod, plunged as he was in his irritation.

 

“Whatever, there is some girl who has taken your fancy!” he declared with a violent gesture of his hands. “You cannot deny it, I have seen through you!”

 

The priest-novice´s eyes widened in suprise. Almost sober –indeed.

 

“I admit it.” he sighed, a bit incommodated, but unwilling to fuel his friend´s mood. With a bit of luck, he would later go back to the feast and drink ten more cups, and all he would remember the next day would be some kind of blurred haze. “Her name is Amalket.”

 

“A courtesan?” Pharazôn´s expression changed to a vivid interest. Amandil shook his head, almost insulted at the insinuation made about his beloved. She was so innocent... so pure...

 

“No! She is the... “Just as he was about to say “daughter of a captain of the Palace Guard”, he cursed his stupidity and interrupted himself. Pharazôn, now or sometime later, might start a campaign of indiscreet enquiries, and he had many friends in the Palace Guard. The last thing he wanted was for her father to learn of the affair in such a way. “She is the daughter of a well-to-do family.”

 

“Well-to-do family?” Pharazôn laughed. “And she is so cheap that she takes sweets stolen from a drinking feast?”

 

“Well, I do not need to buy her favours, you know!” Amandil growled, offended. “She likes them, that is all.”

 

“Is she beautiful?”

 

Accepting the abrupt change of subject as the closest to an apology that he was likely to get, he nodded.

 

“She is... small, and slight of build, but not enough to feel bones under the skin.” he muttered, losing his eyes in the distance. He had never spoken of her to anyone before. “And her skin is soft... “

 

Pharazôn snorted.

 

“You are almost drooling! I am worried about you now!”

 

Amandil shook his head. His friend´s flippant attitude was beginning to annoy him seriously.

 

“You say it as if you had any idea of what you are talking about.”

 

Pharazôn jumped at the insinuation.

 

“I have bedded dozens of women!”

 

“Courtesans.”

 

“And none has asked for payment!”

 

Amandil sighed. Another of the things about Pharazôn that he could not understand was how he could be so innocent about some things, even as he made a show of running ahead of his age in others.

 

It made him feel protective enough as to let go of his anger for a moment.

 

“You are a prince. Who would ask you for payment?” he explained patiently. Pharazôn looked puzzled again, though the outside air had cooled most of his drunkenness by now.

 

“If they did not want me, and wouldn´t ask for money, why would they come to me at all?”

 

“Fame. Status.” Amandil muttered. Sighing again, he relented. “And I suppose that your good looks must help a great deal. But the issue remains the same: you do not love them. Or do you?”

 

For a moment, it seemed as if the prince´s face was obscured by a passing thought. Soon, however, he shook it away, and shrugged.

 

Love. Why would I wish for my life to become as complicated as yours?” He gestured towards the door with his chin. “They will be laughing at you until next year, all because of that... siren.”

 

Hopeless. But then again, Amandil, who had known him since he was a little boy, had not really expected him to be otherwise. It would be long, if ever, until a woman gave his impetuous friend pause. He did not know what the word “waiting” meant, or prudence, or self-control – always rushing into things at the worst possible time. His life seemed to be led only by vital impulses, now here, tomorrow there.

 

A part of Amandil admired, and envied him for this. Another felt worried for him, at times.

 

“Now, what are you doing, planted there in the middle of the bloody yard like the bloody White Tree? Go and see her! What´s the purpose of acting foolish if you´re not even going to get any afterwards?”

 

Shocked, Amandil interrupted his musings to look at the prince. He was serious.

 

He blinked.

 

“So you won´t mind if I leave your feast?”

 

Pharazôn shook his head, as if his friend was some kind of idiot.

 

“Of course I won´t mind! In fact, “he added, allowing his lips to curve in an anticipating smile, “there is a woman waiting for me inside. While here there is only you sulking over your beloved... what´s her name, and a cold breeze.”

 

Amandil nodded mechanically.

 

“I am sorry.”

 

“Whatever.” Pharazôn sized him over for the last time, then turned away with a snort. “She´s small and slight of build... her skin is so soft.... Disgusting!”

 

“If you say so. “Amandil muttered, wading through the mud pools in the direction of the other door.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

At that hour of the night, the streets were largely empty, except for some groups of revelers who sang bawdy songs and cheered as he passed them by. Amalket´s father lived at the other side of the hill, so the walk over wet pavements was long and impatient. Still, when he finally stood in front of her gates, his intent was mingled with a vague inquietude, and he tried not to think of what would happen if he was discovered.

 

With fastidious precision, he counted the windows several times before throwing the pebble. He had been through this before, but it was still a relief when a small head popped over the windowsill and a hand waved to him. Answering the gesture, he headed for the door, and waited.

 

A minute later –which seemed more like an age for him-, the door opened with a faint creak. A woman signaled him to enter.

 

As he followed her through moonlit inner yards, stairs and corridors, his heart was beating quickly inside his chest. Inside the house, everything was plunged in a deep silence, and the only sound that could be heard was his soft footsteps and the dull sweeping of the maid´s dress against the floor. He remembered the laughter, the loud cheer of Pharazôn´s feast where he had been a mere while ago, and a feeling of unreality seized his soul.

 

“My lady is waiting for you.” she whispered with a bow, turning away from him and leaving him alone in a dark corridor. Remembering his previous visit, he found his way easily through the shadows, until his hand grabbed the hard coldness of a bronze handle. He pulled it resolutely, and the door opened.

 

She was sitting on her couch. A white dress with blue flowers spilled its folds in a circle around her, as if she was one of those white roses that grew at the gardens of the Temple. Her skin reflected the glow of the moon, and as she turned a pair of joyful honey eyes in his direction, he almost felt himself go weak in the knees.

 

She had had that effect on him, since the first moment that they met. He still remembered that day, when he had been assigned to the Temple gates at a Festival celebration and a distraught young woman had addressed him shyly. She had lost her mother in the crowd –her mother, whose hearing was cursed so she could not hear people calling her-, and please, had he seen a lady who walked alone?

 

What had happened afterwards had been anything but logical. Somehow, he had found himself leaving his post against all rules, and searching among the crowd that approached the Temple from all gates for a woman that he had not even seen before. Bewitched by her alternate looks of distress and gratitude, he had not even realised the stupidity of his actions until he was confronted by the irate questioning of his superiors.

 

At his age, Amandil had known a woman or two –not nearly as many as Pharazôn-, but it was the first time that he felt as if he would be able to act against his own interests and against common sense, even knowing it, and do it over and over again. After so many years, he finally understood why Yehimelkor compared women to wine and said that both could be extremely dangerous to a man – but he did not even care that it was so.

 

“Hannimelkor!” she cried, impulsively throwing her arms over his shoulders. He relished in the softness of her embrace, and the heavy scent of perfumed oil.

 

The smells that she perceived, however, were not so pleasing to her nose. Suspiciously, she began sniffing at his neck, and a cloud came over her features.

 

“You smell of wine.” she accused. “Where have you been?”

 

Amandil sat at her side on the mattress, which gave way under his weight with a dull, chafing sound.

 

“I was invited to a feast. It was my best friend.... I could not refuse.”

 

The cloud became more ominous.

 

“Were there women?”

 

The young man was torn between an impulse to laugh at her jealousy and the fear that she would misunderstand. In the end, he settled for a harmless lie.

 

“Not a single one.” he assured her, touching the side of her face with a placating caress. “Just a lot of drunkards. And I would not have looked at them, anyway!”

 

“Do not go to feasts where there are women.” she admonished, relenting to his protestations. “They are all a bunch of hyenas.”

 

You cannot even imagine how right you are, he thought, remembering the courtesan of the sweet bowls and her taunting.

 

And speaking of sweet bowls...

 

“I do not know if they are hyenas, but they are as unfair towards their lovers as the Queen Ancalimë.” he replied, pretending to be offended. “I had been thinking about you all the time, so much that I had even picked something for you...”

 

“Really?” Her face lighted up like that of a child who was promised a treat, and she immediately became all doe eyes and sweet touches. “Oh, my dearest, I am so sorry for doubting you. What did you bring?”

 

Allowing himself to be easily convinced, Amandil produced the small bag of dates, and lay it upon her lap. She clapped her hands, and stared fearfully in every direction as she remembered about the noise.

 

When it became apparent that nobody had heard her antics, she picked a date and began munching on it with great relish. Amandil gazed at her as she ate, admiring how this  contentment increased her beauty, kindled sparks on her eyes and coloured her cheeks.

 

For a moment, he felt a wish to cringe at his own thoughts. If Pharazôn could hear them!

 

“Do you want any?” she asked, dangling a bunch of golden dates in front of his nose. He extended a distracted hand to take them, but she pulled it away.

 

“Only one.” she admonished warily.

 

“They will harm your stomach.” he muttered. She laughed this away, her mouth full. As a result of one of her movements, a small foot appeared under the folds of her dress.

 

Amandil swallowed deeply, and took it with both hands. Nonplussed, she leaned back, flexing her knees, and allowed him to touch it and cover it with a rain of kisses. Now and then, she tried to pull it away, giggling.

 

“You are tickling me!” she protested. He did not answer, his senses absorbed by the strong scent of oil, the softness, the smallness, the perfection.

 

Yehimelkor could say whatever he wished, he thought, in a small rebellious impulse. He had never enjoyed this. He did not even know that it existed. Compared to a single foot, all the treasures, the gardens, the running fountains, the halls, the assembled magnificence of the Temple of Melkor was nothing but dead and ancient dust.

 

From her feet, he then progressed to the tender flesh of her legs, even softer and warmer to his touch. Amalket opened them several inches further, and gathered the folds of her dress up to ease his task. It had been shortly after they met that Amandil had discovered, to his wonder, that a long education in the ways of propriety would leave no trace in her when they were together. Once they began their lovemaking, she only cared for pleasure.

 

As he reached her knees, she leaned forwards to embrace him, and both fell upon the couch with a soft thud. He bathed in the curves of her body, stifled her imprudent moans with his kisses, and allowed each moment of pleasure to stretch in time until time itself was a forgotten notion. Trembling and shaking, she buried her face in his chest, and cried his name.

 

Then, after it was over, both curled together, murmuring pointless endearments to each other. The energies of release had left their bodies in a furious whirlwhind, leaving nothing but lifeless limbs behind. One of her hands traced lazy circles over his stomach.

 

It was from this dazed state that a discreet knock on the door roused them much later. Amandil frowned in regret, forcing himself to stand up. The moon had already set behind the terraces, in a blaze of red glory.

 

“Morning is near.” he whispered to his lying lover, who grimaced rebelliously.

 

“I hate mornings!”

 

He sighed.

 

“Me, too.”

 

In regret, he pulled away from her, to step naked into the chill that preceded the dawn. Kneeling under the bed, he sought for his clothes, and began fumbling in the dark to put them on. Amalket propped her chin against her hand, and watched his every movement in pensive silence. For a moment, he wanted to drop them on the floor again; to go back to her, kiss her mood away....

 

Behind their backs, the door slid open, and an annoyed face peered from the crack.

 

“The birds are singing already. Five more minutes and you will have to jump from the window!” the woman scolded. Amandil nodded, with an apologetic look in his lover´s direction.

 

“I will come back soon. I promise.”

 

She handed him his cloak.

 

“The next time that the Temple opens its gates, look for Abila. She will bring you a message from me.” she mumbled, flustered. “I... do not forget!”

 

“I will not.” he assured her, indulging in a last, exploring glance that would allow her image to live in his mind until their next encounter. Her hair fell dishevelled through her back after their exertions, and its brown curls looked almost red under the faint glow of the approaching dawn.

 

It was so unfair.

 

“Be safe.” she heard her voice behind his steps, as he followed the servant past the threshold in quiet resignation.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The pale brow was furrowed in an imperious frown. Even though the shadows were thick around her, he could easily distinguish the lines of her displeasure.

 

“You did not come yesterday night. Again.”

 

“I was at a feast.” he explained, not too apologetic. If he was to say the truth, he had been avoiding her for the past months, and purposefully missing many of their appointments. “With some soldiers and Palace guards, and my friend Hannimelkor. I... guess I was drunk afterwards.” he admitted, with a shrug.

 

Zimraphel frowned, her anger turning to curiosity.

 

“Really? Where?”

 

“At an inn, close to the Guards´ headquarters in the western side of the Palace hill.” Pharazôn, used to his cousin´s hunger for details, was as meticulous as possible. “We were many.”

 

“Was there wine?” she asked, leaning slightly forwards. He nodded.

 

“Plenty of it.”

 

“And music?”

 

“Yes. Banquet songs, drinking songs... all that.”

 

“And women?”

 

Her grey eyes were wide, devouring his with a strange, joyful ferocity.

 

“Yes.” he admitted. She laughed, and clapped her hands.

 

“That sounds fun! Did you bed any of them?”

 

Uncomfortable, Pharazôn looked aside for a moment. Through the window, a ghastly light was filtering through the twisted branches of the White Tree. The First Courtyard lay empty at that hour of the night, its grey pavement stretching beyond their sight.

 

“I did.” he muttered, in a low voice that rarely escaped his brash lips.

 

“Was she beautiful?”

 

Wanting to tell her that she should not ask him about those things, that this line of conversation was not appropriate, he turned a frowning look towards her. The words became stuck in his throat at once.

 

Zimraphel had that expression that he had soon learned to recognise as a signal that she was not willing to understand. Whenever he saw that dark glint in her eyes, he felt vaguely uneasy, as if instead of a frail woman he was facing the irrational, blind might of the Sea that had once been about to drown him in the Forbidden Bay when he was a child.

 

“Was she beautiful?” she repeated. He sought his mind for an answer.

 

Was she? A brief image of the luxuriously dressed courtesan crossed his mind. Then, he focused back on Zimraphel, on her face sculpted in ivory and so radiant under the pale glow of the night. Strands of raven black hair fell down her shoulders like a royal mantle.

 

Even though those features were sometimes twisted in an unholy expression, and the lips whispered words that made him shiver to the marrow of his bones, he always came back to her, like a common criminal who hid under the cover of the night, fearing that his secret shame would be discovered.

 

No, he realised. To call any woman beautiful in her presence would be blasphemous. As they all lay with him in bed, murmuring endearments in his ears, her shadow was floating over them, making them dissolve like starlight under the bright rays of the full moon.

 

Pharazôn knew that he was not supposed to have those thoughts about his cousin. But as much as he had tried to stop courting the danger, to get drunk every night and bed all the courtesans of Southern Armenelos whenever he was supposed to be visiting her, the curse still haunted his steps.

 

Sometimes he had wondered if, somehow, she knew.

 

“No. Not beautiful.” And then, before he could even think. “Just pleasant... skilled.”

 

“Skilled?” Her lips curved into a mischievous smile. “How, skilled?”

 

Pharazôn coughed, red to the tip of his ears.

 

“Good in bed.” he mumbled. “Let us change the topic.”

 

Zimraphel ignored him.

 

“Did she... kiss you?”

 

Pharazôn was unsettled by the mix of innocence and sensuality in her voice. To his further shock, her hands began to touch and caress her own body, in distracted and almost inadvertent motions.

 

He took a sharp breath. Should he leave, flee to his chambers like a coward? Or stay, and be driven to a turmoil of feelings, of actions that he would later have cause to regret?

 

If Hannimelkor could see him now! Just the other day, he had mocked him for his love for a city girl, but the truth was that any stupidity done for her sake would be less laughable –despicable!- than Pharazôn´s current situation.

 

“I said I did not want to talk about this!” he said, now more forcefully. Her face fell at those words, and her joy became sadness. She stared at her twitching hands, her composure crumbling in a matter of seconds.

 

“You probably think me so pitiful.” she mumbled, with a breaking voice. “But you do not know what it means to be alone. You do not know what it means to be imprisoned, a living corpse entombed between stone walls. Do you have an idea of what it is to be unable to know the love, the life that you so freely enjoy? That I, a princess in blood, a queen in beauty and a goddess in wisdom, am forced to beg for scraps of your tales and live through you?” she raged, her body shaking. “Ah, the indignity!”

 

The young prince stared at her. He had been witness to her capricious turns of mood, and sometimes she had been sad or angry, but never before had he seen raw desperation. A knot gathered in his throat, a cold grip that paralyzed his reactions.

 

He wanted to comfort her, to flee her presence... and he could do neither.

 

“Zimraphel...” he mumbled. Black, impulsive eyes sought for his, heavy with unshed tears. He felt something akin to a punch on the gut, and before he could realise what he was doing, he held her chin with her hands and kissed her.

 

Her response was avid and clumsy, very different from the expertise of the courtesans. And maybe, in an inner recess of his mind, also very unlike the evil temptress that had been built from figments of his imagination whenever he felt haunted by her image.

 

Then, realisation dawned on him, and he pulled back in shock.

 

“This is a crime.” he hissed. “The curse of the Goddess will fall upon us!”

 

She stared at him with disappointed, questioning eyes, as if she did not understand.

 

“Why?”

 

“We are cousins!”

 

Her surprise turned to livid rage.

 

“I do not care!”

 

He shook his head, and turned his eyes away from her. He had to withstand the temptation. He tried to imagine the ivory face at the altar twisting in fury, the sacred fire refusing to burn for him.

 

She was mad. Mad, or taken by an evil spirit. She did not know what she was saying- but he, he should know.

 

“Have a good night.” he mumbled, turning back to leave the room at a quick pace. A strange buzz filled his ears, his lungs screamed for air, and he was barely able to hear a strangled sound of pleading in the distance.

 

As soon as he was sure that he had left her behind, he pressed his burning forehead against a marble column. The fire quenched in the altar...

 

The sun shining on the hair of the most beautiful girl he had ever seen in the Palace gardens.

 

...the Goddess looking at him in fury...

 

Her lips trembling under the moonlight, and the fascinated, expectant touch of a warm hand upon his shoulder.

 

He shook his head, as if trying to free it from the turmoil of his own thoughts. His body felt hot, but it was not just the shame or the arousal. It was as if a spirit had posessed him.

 

For the following hours, Pharazôn did nothing but rush past halls, galleries, corridors and even courtyards, trying to outrun the shadows that followed in his wake. Anyone who would have met him, and seen the frenzy in his expression, would have recoiled in superstitious fear.

 

Never see her again. Never see her again., a voice – the voice of his mother?- whispered in his ears. Forget that she exists. Forget her beauty and her loneliness, my child.

 

And yet, in a dark recess of his mind, he knew that sooner or later, he would be back.

The Unforgivable Sin

Read The Unforgivable Sin

Zimraphel stared at the singing whirls of water, her lips moving to form words. Her breath was soft, very soft, almost as if she did not wish for anything to disturb their secret language.

Behind her, rough hands were pulling her hair, turning her head left and right like that of a rag doll. Her limbs and bones were melting under their touch, like a fog, or better still like a viscous substance such as the fins of living fish when touched by human fingers.

“Am I allowed to love a man?” she asked. The hands stopped abruptly, and her hair fell again down her shoulders, tickling the back of her neck. For a moment, she was happy.

“Where... did you get such an idea?” a shocked voice inquired. “Did you read it in a book?”

She frowned again. Her hands tightened into knuckles.

“Am I, or not?”

Recognising the ominous note in her tone, Zarhil walked to her front, and stared at her in mute bewilderment. The water was invisible for her now, but she still heard its song in the distance.

“My child...” the woman began. Her features softened. “It is yet too soon to think of such things.” One of her hands caressed her cheek, and a feeling of repugnance took hold of Zimraphel as she imagined the rough touch marring the perfection of her ivory cheeks. “You are little older than twenty. Do you know how old I was when I married your father?”

The young woman shook her head, pulling back to flee the hand. She heard her mother swallow.

“I do not care.” she hissed. “I want to know if I can love a man.”

“You are too young for this conversation.”

Nervous, Zarhil turned away, and began to pace in circles in front of the fountain. After a while, she became self-conscious, and stopped to watch the flow of the water with her tense back to her daughter.

This reminded Zimraphel of a dream, where an old woman stood on a boat and she felt the burning anguish of loneliness. She shivered. She hated her mother´s back.

She hated her mother.

“Look at me!” she shouted, with a voice that erupted from her throat like a terrified plea. Zarhil obeyed mutely, and knelt in front of her with a look of pity and worry.

“My child...”

“I am not allowed.”

The woman shook her head, touching her forehead with her fingers. Zimraphel perceived her clumsy discomfort, and knew that she was right.

“One day, your father will be King.” she said, in an almost crooning tone. “You will be the Princess of Númenor, and you will marry...”

“... Father´s chosen heir.” she completed. “Who will be marrying a madwoman because the King made him to.”

The hand that touched her forehead froze. Zarhil went very pale, and Zimraphel smiled, feeling the capricious wish to gloat.

“You are not mad!”

“Yes, I am.”

For a moment, it seemed as if her mother would choke with the words that fought to come out of her mouth. Suddenly, she extended her arms, and gathered her daughter in a fierce embrace.

Her chest heaved up and down noisily, as if she was having difficulties to breathe.

“My child...” she mumbled into her ear. Zimraphel closed her eyes and stood still. It would not hurt her if she did not move.

Nothing would hurt her if she did not move, except water. Water would drown her.

“I love you.” Zarhil repeated several times, making no sense. “I love you, my child. I... I want you to lead a happy life. Only...” She let her go, and stared at her with a frown and a new determination. “And you will have it. You will have it, I swear, whatever I have to do to ensure it.”

Zimraphel twisted her mouth in disdain.

“You do not own my soul.” she stated. Zarhil frowned, momentarily uncomprehending, and then shook her head.

“Oh, my child! This is not what I....”

The young princess did not want to hear. She looked away, humming the song of the waters.

One day, they would not own her body, either.

 

*      *      *      *      *

 

In the beginning, there was nothing but dark and lime

Floating in emptiness

In the midst of it He stood

Alone; He, the great, the only

The Fatherless god.

None could boast of having sired Him

And none were His children

For He was perfection

And perfection is an end unto itself.

 

--------

 

One day, from the region of the deep currents She came

She, the impetuous, the ever-shifting

stirring, lusting, fulfilling

Queen of Desire

She fell in love with His perfection

And took His light into the shadows of her belly

 

--------

 

From this union, a child was born

He, the first, the only

The most beloved son

The Father laid a crown of light upon his head

The Mother spun stars in his mantle

He shaped the trees, the mountains, the endless plains

He called forth the animals, those that run, those that fly

And those which crawl upon the ground

He made the Sea, fish-kingdom, swift road for vessels

And gave it to the Mother, to honour the fruitful belly

Where he had grown.

She laughed in delight

And made his world her sacred home.

 

--------

 

He then created a mighty race of creatures

Fair but soulless, crafty but cruel

They turned against him, raised swords against their maker

And tried to steal his crown.

 

--------

 

In revenge, he created a second race

They were not fair or crafty

They were a swarm of bloodthirsty monsters

The terrible fruit of his wrath

They fell upon the soulless folk

And feasted on their flesh.

 

--------

 

For days and nights, he wandered

Through forests, through mountains and through endless plains

None could abate the fire in his heart

Nothing could take his mind away from their treason.

But one night, he arrived to the pearl-sprinkled shore

The silver light of the Moon fell upon her face

The Mother smiled

And his heart was at peace.

Then, he created a third race of beings

Who were, of all, the most similar to himself

They were strong, proud and brave

The great, the most beloved children

They lived away from pain and disease

And the secret of eternal life was theirs.

 

Amandil leaned back, holding his hands in front of him as he repeated the last verse in a low voice. The dusty scroll ended there; he could not help but feel relieved at this.

Yehimelkor had extensively commented on that poem in the past, the oldest heirloom of the temple of Sor. He had written things, too, some of which had brought him to clash with old and revered priests from the East. There had been much controversy about the creation of the Orcs, but the greatest matter of contention was the crude phrase: “And took His light into the shadows of her belly”.

This was an abomination, according to Yehimelkor. Would eternal Perfection be subjected to such a barely concealed sexual act? Would the everlasting gods feel human desires? It was absurd, nothing but the misled imaginings of an ancient priest. Eru had thought a beautiful thought, and the power of the Lady had made Him wish, for the first time, to admire and love His work from outside. That was the origin of the Great God Melkor, and to think otherwise one would have to be a sinner with a muddled mind. His enemies had argued that none of them had the right to question such an ancient text, and Yehimelkor had elaborated relentlessly on the differences and contradictions in the traditions of the different temples.

Amandil, himself, was somewhat worried about Yehimelkor, for he was aware of the fierceness displayed by religious authorities and the priest did not seem to care much about it. As for the rest, he did not see much difference between one theory and another. Or rather, he did in a purely rational sense –in spite of what the priest would say, he was not that much of a fool-, but there was a certain something in their disputes that tended to make him wish to dissociate his mind from them.

Maybe it was the fact that no one really seemed to care about the truth, just about what concepts would fit better. Once, he had dared to ask Yehimelkor if he was taking his theories from some kind of source, and had been answered by a look of disdain and one of those long lectures full of names and concepts that the priest usually bestowed upon his enemies. And then, he had been ordered to study all the lore of the Beginning as it was kept in the Four Great Temples, and other six or seven that were not so great.

He was aware that he was somewhat of a fool as well, for he disliked to think about those things that he could not grasp, and that, he knew in a corner of his mind, could get to make a terrible difference. At nights, when everything was dark and he shut his eyes, he could summon the face and loving glance of his mother, telling him marvellous tales with a soft voice. As a child, he had listened in awe to all those things that had really happened, so scary and so beautiful and so strange that nobody could have invented them if they were not true.

Would there also be such disputes, such theories among the Faithful? Would he have needed to learn them, had he stayed in Sor with his family, and would they maybe be less convincing than Yehimelkor´s devastating logic? He hated to think about this. No... he refused to think about this.

That was why, he knew, Yehimelkor made him learn those things at all.

The sound of footsteps and low voices interrupted the chain of his musings. Instantly, Amandil straightened up, and pretended to be muttering something.

Yehimelkor entered the room accompanied by another priest, a middle-aged man with pale skin and a bald head. They passed him by with barely a nod, though Yehimelkor turned back to address him in his way to his chambers.

“I will have dinner now. Alone.” he added, before he could open his mouth to ask.

Recognising the order as an unmistakeable cue to leave them, Amandil bowed to each of them and left the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Yehimelkor´s dinner was composed of soup, vegetables, and a strong black tea whose smell was enough to give Amandil nausea. As he entered the rooms with the tray, the elder priest had already left, so he merely left it at the table where Yehimelkor was reading.

A pair of penetrating eyes were slowly lifted from the page .

“Hannimelkor.” he greeted, as if truly seeing him for the first time. Amandil stopped in mid-retreat, and met his glance.

He looked tired.

“Have you been studying the books I gave you?”

Amandil nodded.

“Yes, Revered Father.”

“Have you said your prayers?”

“Yes, Revered Father.”

“Good.” Yehimelkor´s forehead creased in a slight frown. “You... should be allowed to take your second oath soon, I believe.”

Amandil took a breath. So this was what.... He was aware that his tardiness bothered the man, and yet for a while he had believed him to be too absorbed by his doctrinal feuds to worry about him.

He forced back the temptation to shrug. As if it was his fault. The High Priest and his council did not trust a priest with the blood of the Elf-friends, but if most of the times this gave him a feeling of relief, it was never without a small twinge of guilt. How he wished that Yehimelkor simply did not care! After all, he was nothing but the child of a disgraced lineage – who, as if his position was not precarious enough, was having an affair with the daughter of a captain of the Guard.

To think about that now only contributed to make things worse.

“I hope so.” he said, trying to sound as sincere as possible. Yehimelkor did not answer, and for a moment he was about to turn back and leave.

Then, however, the priest gestured him closer. Amandil obeyed, puzzled, though as he saw the familiar annoyed look, a spark found its way back to his eyes.

“Your hair is dishevelled.” Yehimelkor frowned in censure. Amandil knelt, allowing him to tie the knot back in place. He had the bad habitude of pulling his hair while he studied, and he always relapsed into it when unsupervised.

Looking slightly more respectable, and with the first feeling of warmth towards the older man that he had harboured that day, Amandil rose minutes later to go back to his books.

He had not even found yet the text he was searching for when a sound of knocking came from the door.

“You may come in.” Yehimelkor´s sharp voice invited. It was Elinoam.

“With all due reverence” he greeted the priest courteously, giving him a deep bow. For a moment, he seemed to hesitate, but when he opened his mouth again his voice was calm. “Hannimelkor´s presence is requested to guard the Fire tonight.”

Yehimelkor frowned.

“It is not his turn.”he said. Amandil regarded his friend with curiosity, and swallowed when he noticed that his left hand was fidgeting.

“The Second Rank Novice Abibal has been rendered incapable of his duties after swallowing by error the cooked flesh of an animal.” he replied with admirable aplomb. Yehimelkor sized him up intensely, and Amandil could not help but wince in sympathy. Not even he, who by all rights should be used, could always withstand that glance.

But this time Yehimelkor relented, and nodded in silence. Amandil stood up, ordering his books and folding the manuscripts with care. Elinoam bowed and crossed the threshold, but as soon as he was in the corridor, his easy-going demeanour crumbled to give way to a tense bravado.

“You owe me. Owe me indeed.” he muttered. Amandil stared at him.

“What is the matter?”

Elinoam laughed, but it was not a companionable laughter.

“You will soon have enough problems to worry about this escapade. Come with me.” Nodding, still with a lot of unanswered questions sizzling in his brain, Amandil followed him through the corridors, and swallowed a protest when he was taken past the altar and across the Great Hall to the gates of the temple. He saw Abibal staring left and right, looking obviously worried.

“Here. Come forth.”

From behind the shadows of the threshold, a hooded woman advanced with small steps towards them. When he was at a short distance from him, she raised both hands to take her hood away, and the anguished features of Amalket´s maid-in-waiting stared back at him.

“Something... terrible has happened.” she mumbled, falling to her knees. “You must help us!”

Amandil´s heart sank.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Greetings, my dear son.”

Pharazôn nodded in silence, feeling somewhat uncomfortable at the familiar soft voice. Melkyelid was sitting in the darkness of her room, her hair pulled in a multitude of small braids that mingled with the heavy folds of her blue dress. Kneeling at her side, two ladies painted silver flowers on the fingernails of her outstretched hands.

“Mother. You wanted to see me.”

The Princess whispered something to one of the women, who nodded. Then, her eyes trailed slowly over his countenance, as if taking notice of every slight evidence of his uneasiness.

“I have been hearing rumours about you of late.” she said, blandly. “They say that you have taken to drinking and reveling in taverns with people of low status.”

His chin shot up in indignation.

“I...!

“I understand that you need, now and then, to have fun, and experience freedom from pressure.” she continued, interrupting him. “Your father, for example... but he does not belong to this discussion. This behaviour has been escalading over the past months, and I fear the King will hear about it.”

Pharazôn shifted uncomfortably, mortified that his mother would say those things in front of the ladies-in-waiting. The women kept to their work, blowing over fresh paint without seeming to realize that they were at the end of his glare.

“I am not neglecting any of my duties.” he protested. Melkyelid nodded.

“And I hope you never will.” she agreed. Then, to his relief, she made a vague gesture with her still drying fingers, and the women left the room.

This relief, however, was short-lived. His mother´s piercing stare met his.

“I wonder if a secret love affair could be the reason behind your frequent disappearances.”

In the time that he needed to blink, Pharazôn forced himself to reason that it was impossible that his mother knew about Zimraphel. He schooled his features to look calm, and his lips curved in a disarming smile.

“And what if it was so? We all have our adventures.”

“Indeed.” Thoughtfully, Melkyelid gazed past the gold-painted lattice of the window. Her distracted look belied the intent in her voice in a way that Pharazôn had learned to be wary of since he was a child. It usually meant that she knew something else. “But.... you have been seen stealing into the West wing of the Palace.”

Pharazôn´s eyes widened.

“That...” He sought for an adequate response. “A lady... we were involved for some time.”

The Princess of the South frowned in concern.

“What is this? My dearest son, are you afraid of something? “She shook her head. “For all those years, I have prided myself on bearing a child who does not know what fear is.”

“I am not afraid!” Piqued, Pharazôn strode towards a chair and pulled it forwards, sitting noisily upon it. That woman could even play the King´s strings successfully, damn it. “And I have had enough of your summoning me like an errant child!”

Melkyelid did not rise to the bait. She studied her fingernails, which she still held spread to dry.

“Is it because you have been meeting with the young Princess of the West?”

The young man stared at her, thunderstruck.

How do you know that?” he demanded, even before a warning voice could yell in the back of his brain that this had not been the best reaction he could have shown. His mother took it as a cue.

“So you have.”

“I...” Caught, a fiery blush began to spread through his cheeks. Like the Middle-Earth panther, he defended himself through attacking. “You had me followed!”

“I did not.” Melkyelid replied, a little more forcefully than usual. “Sometimes, your cousin can be quite careless. She gave notes to my women, telling them to deliver them to you.”

Pharazôn´s anger gave way to alarm, as his mind began to review the implications. Did she know about...?

“This is none of your business!”

“No, it is not.” she replied. “And so I did not interfere. Of late, however....”

“What?”

Melkyelid shook her head with a sigh.

“Are you in love with your cousin, Pharazôn?”

The young man´s face paled.

It was not mere alarm or embarrassment now, but a feeling of dread that sunk to his gut like frozen lead. To hear the words that he had never dared to confront in his most private thoughts, there, in his mother´s lips, managed to drive the acute pang of shame home with deadly effectivity. It rendered him incapable of any other reaction than stuttering lamely.

Filth. Abhorred by the gods. Impure.

“I swear that I have never performed any dirty acts! I have avoided her for months! ” he cried at last, pulling the sign of the Hand on himself. His mother stared at him for a while with an unreadable look in her eyes, then her expression softened.

“Such words!” she snorted. “And I who thought that her... favours were slowly driving you over the edge.”

Pharazôn stared back at her in disbelief.

“How can you be so calm about it? And so crude?”

The Princess blinked.

“Nothing of what you said is anything that should make me nervous.”she replied. “And you have to be more than fearless to call me crude.”

“The Goddess is against it. She cannot accept such a...”

“How can you presume to know the will of the gods?”

Pharazôn looked at his mother with a newfound unease.

“This is... this would be incest. Surely you must know that!”

“Oh, it is you who does not know many things.” she snorted again. “You were not yet born when your crude mother lay on the stone floors of the Lady´s cave at night, waiting for any stranger to throw a silver coin on her lap.” Seeing the horror in his eyes, she repressed a smile. “It was there where I met a man called Xaris. He was a powerful king of Middle-Earth, the ally of the merchants of Gadir.”

“A barbarian?”

“Yes, a barbarian.” Melkyelid nodded. “A barbarian, who had more refinement, more wisdom, more power and certainly more books than many a Númenorean.”

Pharazôn´s shock increased, if this was possible. He stared at his mother´s wistful smile.

“Did you... “Obviously uncomfortable with the notion, he tripped over his words, “...talk?”

“Oh, many times!” she laughed. Finally judging her fingernails dry enough, she passed her fingertips over them. “Many men used to feel that we could give them the Lady´s blessing, yet withdraw their darkest secrets from her. The point is... “Serious again, she met her son´s eyes, “that he was married to his cousin, and had four children by her. One of them –a magnificent boy- now holds the sceptre of the barbarians in his place.”

Pharazôn shook his head, with so much vehemence that he seemed to be chasing away an insidious temptation to listen.

“Those are barbarians.”

“So they may be. Their kings think that no one else but their own kin can be high born enough to marry them.” Melkyelid gathered back her braids. “But  then, who are we? Our law states that no heir to the throne may marry outside his own bloodline.”

“Starting with cousins once removed!”

She shrugged in dismissal.

“A restriction unknown to barbarian men – but not to Elves, it seems. King Xaris thought that even after we broke away from their dominion, we still kept believing in some of their unearthly customs. Like that one about bastard children having twisted souls from the violence done to the marriage bond. Ar-Adunakhôr the Great proved this to be wrong.”

“There is nothing a barbarian can teach us about our own customs.” the young man sneered. Still, it was obvious that the possibility disturbed him, and the mention to Ar-Adunakhôr had made him think. Melkyelid kept pressing the soft spot with her skilled fingers.

“The Kings marry their own bloodline, both among us and among barbarians. And yet we have a restriction that, according to old lore, only exists among Elves. Did it come from our gods? Ashtarte-Uinen, the powerful queen, smiled on Xaris for all his life, and now smiles on his descendants.”

“What are you trying to do?” Pharazôn stood up from his seat, and began pacing along the room in furious strides. “Push me into my cousin´s bed? You, my own mother, who bore me in your womb? Doesn´t the... very idea fill you with shame?”

Melkyelid shrugged imperiously.

“And yet I care more for your sanity, my dearest son. I do not wish you to waste your life in despair, drinking in a vain attempt to forget the eyes of a sorceress. “She shook her head. “No! If there is any shame, then I will bear it. Tell me that you will forget her, and I will help you to. I will find the greatest beauty for you, make her love you and deliver her hand in yours. But if you cannot, then I will make you come forth, seize the object of your desire and win, like Ar-Adunakhôr did!”

Pharazôn stopped in his tracks, speechless. His eyes held something strange, as if he was considering her in a new light than before.

He shook his head.

“You...”

She did not speak or move. Words trailed away in his mouth, and he rubbed a hand across his face.

“I do not need your help.” he finally declared, whirling back and heading towards the corridor.

 

The Child Who Was Sent

Read The Child Who Was Sent

 

“So, let me hear it again.” Pharazôn´s wild pacing in circles was beginning to make Amandil dizzy. “Your woman is pregnant?”

He nodded tiredly. His friend stopped in his tracks, and shook his head in disbelief.

“There are things for this, you know. Things to prevent a woman from conceiving. And they usually work.”

“Usually.” Amandil pointed out, mechanically. Their figures projected long shadows in the dimly-lit room of the royal villa of the temple, where they had snuck early at his urgent request. He almost regretted it now: Pharazôn was not being very helpful.

“Kill it before it is born”, he was rambling. “After only two months, nobody will be the wiser. There are people who do this sort of thing very...”

“No.” Amandil interrupted him, shaking his head. He felt his innards freeze. “I cannot do that.”

Pharazôn walked forward until they were but inches apart. He looked enraged now, as if the frustration he had been feeling had finally found a suitable target.

“And you think you have a choice?” he spat. “You are a priest of Melkor. You cannot marry at least until...”

“...I am sixty. And that with special permission, “Amandil recited. “I know that, thank you.”

“Well, then you should have remembered it while you were entering women without the proper precautions!”

Now, it was Amandil´s turn to feel rage.

“I did not enter “women”!” he hissed. “I entered her, and there was nothing wrong with the precautions we took! Do not make me repeat it again!”

Pharazôn barely blinked at this correction.

“Who cares why it happened?” he grumbled with a dismissing gesture of his hand. “It happened.”

“I care.”

“Where is she?” he asked, ignoring him again. Amandil looked down at his feet.

“At home. Pretending that she is ill because she does not dare meet her family for fear that they will notice.”

“So you have not seen her?”

“No. Too dangerous.”

“Then do not.” Pharazôn threw himself upon the chair next to his. “Do not go back to her. That should take care of the problem.”

Amandil was not able to prevent himself from raising his voice any longer.

“I will do no such thing! And she knows where to find me, anyway! She could raise a scandal!”

“Suit yourself, then!” Pharazôn shouted back. He leaned forward, livid. “As your bastard, the whelp will have a short and miserable span of life until the King hears of its existence, and you would only be expelled if you were a normal priest! And have you spared a thought for what her family might do?”

Amandil swallowed, forcing his fraying nerves to cool. He tried to picture himself following his friend´s advice, getting rid of his unborn child and going back to a life of prisons and prayers. Abandoning Amalket.

Something within him rebelled at the very notion. He felt an all-consuming, almost physical repugnance threatening to erupt in his stomach.

“You still do not understand. I love her. I want her to be my wife and bear my child.” All the unsaid words, all the suppressed fury, the anguish he had felt since the fears of a powerful man had first affected his life came to his mouth now, swift and easily. “They took my family away. They forced me to become a priest. They imprisoned me here, under surveillance and in perpetual fear for my life. They made me pray. They made me sacrifice. They made me renounce my ancestors, but they will not take this from me!”

Pharazôn´s anger had given way to shock. He stared at him wide-eyed, as if he was some kind of monster that had suddenly slithered through a hole in the ground. Slowly, in the light of those eyes, Amandil began to realise what he had said. Paling a little, he shook his head.

“That was... out of place.”

Pharazôn frowned.

“When you say “they”...?”

“No! It was stupid. I did not know what I was saying.” Frightened, Amandil realised that he was blabbering. “Please, forget it. I am not myself right now.”

The younger man nodded in silence.

“And yet you mean it,” he mumbled. “No” he cut him off, when he realised that Amandil was going to protest, “not that. But you are not going to leave her and the child.”

Amandil shook his head.

“I think... I feel it must be some kind of signal. It shouldn´t have been conceived. It was not supposed to happen, we knew what we were doing. She had taken the herbs!” With a sigh, he covered his face with both hands. “What if this was the will of the gods?”

Pharazôn seemed to mull this over for a while. Fortunately, he seemed more puzzled than worried.

“One would think the gods would have given it to you later, once you were allowed to marry. As things are, its very existence is a crime in their eyes!”

Amandil grimaced. Deep inside, he could not help but wonder if the gods who had sent him such a dangerous present were really the same whose laws threatened him now. But he could not say those things to his friend.

Could this... signal be telling him to run away, and leave the litanies and the smoking altars behind?

But, where would he go? It was madness. He would be tracked and killed, and his child with him. The more he thought about it, the less sense it made.

“If I did away with the child, it would be just as bad. It is a crime in religious law, just as abandoning your wife”, he elaborated meanwhile, trying to impress some part of his dilemma upon his friend in terms that he could relate with. “I am –supposed- to be a priest, Pharazôn! Even if I was willing to do that, which I am not, it would make no difference in the eyes of the gods.”

“So... whatever you do, they won´t be happy with you.” Pharazôn deduced, with a look of real bewilderment. It was probably a whole new idea for him, Amandil thought, that the gods could be angry at a man no matter what he did.

After all, Melkor had never refused his blessings to the royal family.

“Isn´t it such a coincidence that, of all the young men of Númenor, this strange thing would happen to me, who am forbidden to marry?” he wondered aloud.

Pharazôn stood up brusquely, and grabbed his amulet of the Hand.

“Maybe the gods hate you. They say your blood is impure, after all.”

Amandil was not offended. He knew that, too, only too well.

“Maybe.”

“I only know one person we could ask about this.”

Taken out of his somber musings, Amandil stared at the prince´s back.

“What?”

“She loves to be asked for help. But meanwhile, you must lay low and wait.”

“She... what are you saying?” Puzzled, Amandil stood up and sought Pharazôn´s face. His friend pulled away from him.

“I am not going to sit here while you die on me!” Pharazôn shouted. “If there are gods involved, they will have to be asked.”

“But...” Puzzlement became shock, and Amandil stared at his friend. What on Earth...?

“And preferably not by you.” Pharazôn added, turning away to stride out of the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

His eyes were fixed upon the flames, blindly mesmerized. The low rumble coming from his lips sounded like a prayer, but in truth it was long ago since he had lost the intricate threads of the litany.

His knees hurt.

Yehimelkor knelt before him, so close to the fire that his hands, pressed against the floor, had turned scarlet. The words fell fluidly from his lips, one after the other in perfect, flawless repetition.

After he finished the Third Litany, there was a brief silence. Stray sparks cracked in the fireplace.

“You may leave and rest.” the priest said. Amandil bowed to his back in mute gratitude and stood up, repressing a groan at the renewed ache in his legs. As he left the overheated room, he wiped his forehead with the back of his hand.

For a while, he stood watching the bowed figure through the door. Yehimelkor had not even moved, and he knew that he would probably stay there for hours. For the priest there was no pain or heat now, only devotion. When he prayed, he lost all notion of time and the outside world, even though he had been able to lift his glance for a moment and spare his younger pupil´s discomfort.

Amandil swallowed, and turned away. Cursing between his teeth, he wondered why it was now that every single show of goodwill from that man sprang to his mind in minute detail. For years he had complained, resented his words and his actions, his unreasonableness, his harshness, but now he was not even able to recall a reason why this should be easier for him.

He sat down, and proceeded once more to unfold the missive he had received that very morning. It was written in Pharazôn´s abysmal calligraphy.

 

Mother did not only agree to consult the Goddess about you; she also decided, after the rites, to help you. I can find no words to convey to you how important her goodwill is. The Princess of the South always gets what she wants.

As it turns out, the priests of the Goddess can marry under any circumstances. So, she spoke to the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay. She claimed that the Goddess wants you, and that this was shown to her in a vision at the main altar, so there was little else he could do but agree. Apparently there is a list of precedents and she knows them by heart, not to mention she is a princess. She also persuaded him to appoint her as messenger to the High Priest of Melkor, so she will be meeting with him shortly. According to her, he will be very glad of the excuse to have you off his hands, because of your family.

Do not worry about the King; he will raise no objections, though do not ask me how she did it. It is rumoured in the Palace that he is becoming more religious as years go by, and she does know how to play that card. The greatest remaining obstacle, according to her, will be persuading Yehimelkor, but this is something that you must do on your own - and soon. She bids you to elaborate on visions of the Goddess when you are interrogated. Do not tell anyone that you will be getting married: this must remain a secret, lest the King hears about it.

If everything goes well, you will be departing for the Forbidden Bay in a month, and nobody in Armenelos will know what happened. Make your arrangements with Amalket´s family, but do it in secret and, for the King of Armenelos´s sake, don´t tell them the truth. Tell them you are the son of a rich merchant or some courtier´s bastard and that you will send them money.

I am deeply loath to see you go, but she insists that it is for the best, and that you should be made aware of that also. In years to come, we will meet again in the army.

 

Amandil repressed a shiver, just as he had done that morning when he had skimmed through those lines for the first time. For all his life, he had felt bitterness at his forced imprisonment in Armenelos, and yet now that an unknown woman had taken it upon herself to change his life, he was not sure of how he felt about that either.

It scared him that a royal princess had decided to interfere in his affairs, and that she was in possession of his secrets. He had always tried to pass unnoticed, since, as a child, he had discovered that there were people who considered him dangerous just because of his blood. It scared him, too, that she had brought this issue to the King and the High Priest´s attention. That had happened already once, when another member of the royal family had contrived to put him under Melkor´s protection. He felt like a toy, bounced back and forth by the hands of strangers, until one of them slipped and dropped him.

But even worse than this was the unexpected turn of his life. He would have to leave Amalket and his child -and under what terms!- and relocate to an unknown place to become part of a different cult. Logic, cold and implacable logic, agreed with Pharazôn´s mother, of course: he and Amalket could never have married if he stayed in Armenelos. He was no mere priest.

And yet, what if the King ever heard about this? Would Amalket be in danger while he loitered in the West?

Could this be a trap?

Almost immediately, he berated himself for being childish. As if the King needed to get him out of the way to do what he wanted! He was nothing but one foolish young man, even if he had the blood of the Andúnië branch. He would never be able to stand between his wife and the King´s men.

And still... to leave her now, even if it was for the best, was a hard decision to make. Had he been demanded to fight for her, even if it was hopeless, he would not have flinched, but abandoning her! Would they, after all those years, be taking a family away from him again?

It will not be like that, he had tried, many times, to reason. It would be a temporary measure. Unlike Pharazôn –who nonetheless seemed to have been persuaded in this case, which said much about the danger Amandil really was in- , he had always known how to wait. If he became a soldier, he would come back to Armenelos, and then he would see her again. She was free to visit him, too, and even bring him their child once that he was older. Maybe, even, one day they would live together, after the death of the King.

And he would be going to the Forbidden Bay. From his studies with Yehimelkor, he knew that this was the most beautiful place in Númenor, the old Bay of Eldanna, where the ships from Valinor used to arrive in the past. It had been part of the ancient lands of his family. Maybe he would find some signal, some trace of their presence there...

He shook his head with a start. He should not be worrying about such things; not, at least, before the most pressing danger was over. If he wanted his loved ones to be safe, he should be thinking of what he was going to say when he was interrogated. He should be planning his strategy to approach Amalket´s parents, and tell them that he would be marrying their daughter only to abandon her before her child was even born.

He should be speaking to Yehimelkor.

Amandil shuddered, suddenly hot again. In the adjoining room, the litanies had faded to a soft, persistent whisper. He tried to imagine what the priest would say... what he would do when the boy he had raised asked him, in the name of a princess and a high priest of another cult, to let him go.

How would he take his betrayal?

The paper was crushed to a small ball in his fist, and he stood up. Trying to still his raging emotions, he poured a glass of water, and carefully tiptoed inside the room to leave it at the older man´s side. Yehimelkor did not even seem to notice.

Tomorrow. Yes, he would tell him tomorrow. He closed his eyes, and forced himself to concentrate in the blurry image of a dishevelled young woman, lying under her covers while she desperately waited for news of him.

Would she think he had abandoned her?

Quietly, he sat back on the table, and covered his face with both hands. He had never felt so exhausted.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Next day, as he had promised himself, he held back after finishing his lessons.

“I need to speak to you.” he told Yehimelkor, who surveyed him with a grave look.

“I thought so. You have been most inattentive.” He motioned towards the chair. “Sit.”

Amandil obeyed. He stared back at the man, trying to steel himself to deliver his carefully constructed lie, but his stomach sunk with the realisation that he couldn´t do it.

The grey eyes were deep and solemn, just as they had been that fatidical day near the fire altar. That day, Yehimelkor had revealed terrible truths to a scared child.

That day, he had saved his life.

Forcing himself to withstand that glance, Amandil began to speak. He told him everything, even about the baby he had vowed to protect by his silence. The words came quietly, steady and without a stammer.

“And this is why I request your permission to leave this temple.”

Only after he was finished, and silence fell upon them like a heavy mantle, he realised that his heart was pounding. He briefly fought the temptation to look elsewhere but at the priest´s paling face.

He swallowed.

“I....” he began. Yehimelkor cut him with an airy gesture.

“Have you thought of doing away with the child?”

Amandil froze in shock. Of all the things he had been expecting, this matter-of-fact suggestion might have been the very last.

“That would be a crime in the eyes of the gods,” he spoke resolutely. Yehimelkor shook his head.

“Of a minor degree than abandoning your priesthood for a dishonourable reason.”

Amandil needed a while to gather his thoughts, until he grasped the piece of information he had researched somewhere in the last, anguished days.

“From the third vow onwards. I have not yet made the second.” he reminded him with aplomb.

“They are of equal degree, then,” Yehimelkor insisted. Amandil blinked. He was not used to this man discussing religious things so directly, without longwinded arguments or quotes. “So you have a choice between betraying me, dishonouring your priesthood, abandoning the God, placing yourself in mortal peril, or that... woman and her child.”

The young man stood his ground, feeling a familiar anger gather its warm coils over his chest at the contempt in the priest´s voice.

“I choose that woman and her child.” he replied, more forcefully than he had intended to. Yehimelkor paled even more. He looked almost like a corpse now.

“Go, “he muttered. “Leave my quarters.”

Only then, Amandil realised what he had said. He knew it was too late, but he still attempted to explain.

“I mean...that I....”

The eerie calm that had been present in Yehimelkor´s voice up to that moment dissolved in a rush, as the priest´s features creased in rage. Amandil had never seen him with so little self-control.

“Leave my quarters!” he yelled.

Miserably, and without looking back, the young man obeyed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It was Elinoam who took him in for the night: the priest he served had vigil duty, and his rooms were empty. Lying on a blanket and feeling miserable, Amandil told him what had just happened.

“I understand his reaction,” the young man muttered, staring at the courtyard through a small window. Amandil frowned.

“Oh, I do not mean that you shouldn´t follow the commands of the Goddess, if she calls for you, or that you shouldn´t protect... you know.” Elinoam elaborated vaguely as he noticed his expression. “But for him, this is a dishonour. A very great dishonour.”

“It´s not his fault,” Amandil grumbled, feeling his resolve teetering over the edge again. His friend shook his head.

“You are under his responsibility. As far as anyone here will be concerned, it is.”

“Thank you.” Amandil forced himself to curve his lips in a sardonic smile. “You made me feel much better.”

“Just so you know,” Elinoam replied, walking away from the room.

His disapproval at how he had handled the conversation was obvious, and Amandil wondered, crossly, if he had expected him to fall on his knees begging for forgiveness instead. He had not been allowed to explain, he had been told to leave the room, and therefore, he had left.

What else could he have done?

He wondered if a furious Yehimelkor could turn into a danger for him. Would he tell? Somehow, he could not imagine him doing so, and yet there was something else, something just as terrible -what if he did not give his permission?

Pharazôn´s mother had been right in thinking that Yehimelkor would be the greatest obstacle. Even with two High Priests and a royal princess against him, Amandil could not imagine him cowed or intimidated. He had not even been afraid of the King, back when he took him under his wing.

Or perhaps he would be too proud to keep someone who didn´t want to be with him anymore?

He buried his face on his pillow. Why? That man had been like his father. Would they have to be enemies, after all? Would they end by hating each other? He could not imagine such a thing, after so many years.

So you have a choice between betraying me...

I choose that woman and her child.

He cringed. Maybe Elinoam had been partly right: his wording had been anything but adequate. And yet, he had never been very good at hypocrisy. Yes, this was a betrayal, pure and simple -he did not know how to disguise the fact, and even had he known it, he was not sure he could have managed.

After all, he had been told to lie to him and he had not been able to do that, either.

“King of Armenelos,” he muttered. He had rarely addressed Melkor in his personal prayers, partly because Yehimelkor had taught him that it was a great disrespect to burden the gods with personal issues, and partly because the instinctive revulsion from his childhood had never died completely. Still, in this case, he knew that if there was a divine entity who could sway that priest´s inflexible mind, it had to be him. “Lord of the Island, make his anger at me abate. Let me talk to him one last time.”

Only belatedly, he realised he was begging a favour of the god whose service he was about to leave forever. For all those years he had been able to scoff at the ideas of divine punishment, but in his present situation he found that he was afraid to risk it.

He closed his eyes, and tried in vain to find sleep.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The two following days passed by in a slow whirl of incertitude. Even while dreading the summons, Amandil was worried that they would not come, and Yehimelkor had not made any attempts to meet him after their conversation. At nights, he was visited by the old childhood nightmares, filled with fuming altars and flames and waves, but this time it was not him who drowned or fell to their devouring heat, but a mysteriously silent baby.

On the evening of the second day, he guarded the Fire in silence, wondering where he was going to sleep that night. As his time drew to a close, he bowed thrice, greeted his successor, and stood up to walk down the dark and empty hall.

“Hannimelkor.”

Startled out of his bleak thoughts, he turned back in the direction of the familiar  whisper. Yehimelkor was standing at the side of a column, arms crossed under his white robes as he watched him with an unreadable expression.

Amandil approached him cautiously, trying to restrain his excitement. He did not know what the man wanted. Maybe it had been a mistake...

Maybe, even now, he was not there to give him an opportunity to explain.

“Follow me.” the priest ordered, walking past him in the direction of the corridors. Amandil obeyed, his heart beating in his chest.

After a while, he realised that they were heading in the direction of Yehimelkor´s quarters, where he had lived for the past thirteen years. A good sign, he thought, searching his mind frantically for the most appropriate way to profit of this second chance.

Once they were back in the old sitting-room, however, face to face over the small wooden table, Yehimelkor did not seem to want him to talk. He silenced him with a curt gesture, even before his lips had managed to form the first word.

“You may wish to know that I was summoned this morning by the High Priest to discuss you case,” he said, flatly. And then, in a slightly lower voice, “I gave my permission.”

Amandil looked up, disbelief and joy dawning on his face. Of all the things he had been expecting...

“Thank you very much! I...”

“Do not thank me.” Yehimelkor cut him off again. His back, his neck and even his hands looked as rigid as wood, and he shook his head. “I did not do it for you. Look!” Amandil followed his glance, and found himself staring at the fire. Confused, he tried to read its capricious movements in search of an answer, but he had never been any good at those things.

“Revered Father...”

Yehimelkor ignored him.

“Have you ever heard anything about my lineage?”

Amandil nodded cautiously.

“Yes. You belong to the long-lived line of the Kings of Númenor.”

“I am a descendant of the Lady Alashiya. Do you know who she was?”

Amandil frowned, doing his best to summon his recollections. Alashiya...  no matter where he sought, the name meant nothing to him.

“I... am sorry,” he muttered, feeling as if he was an errant student again. Yehimelkor merely waved it away.

“She is not known by many. For all her life, she was an obscure character, who hid in the shadows and betrayed her most sacred obligations in order to survive.” Surprised, the younger man could do little but stare. He wondered if this could be the start of some kind of unflattering comparison. “She was the sister of the Lady Alissha - that name is less unfamiliar to you, I see.”

Indeed, Amandil had heard about Alissha. Even though her memory was cursed, there were few in Númenor who did not know about the ambitious cousin of Ar-Adunakhôr, who tried to usurp his throne with the help of many landholding nobles of the provinces and the Elf-friends. She had even gone as far as to pronounce herself Queen, only to die in a faraway prison years later.

Amandil knew, also, that Ar-Adunakhôr and his descendants had accused his own family of being in league with the usurper.

“When she realised that her sister was going to lose, Alashiya left her side. She married a lesser man, a man who had been unfit to even glance at her beforehand, and had his children. Because of these actions, Ar-Adunakhôr did not see any threat in her, and she was left in peace.”

The young man glanced at the priest, his troubles momentarily forgotten by this revelation. Only after a while, he realised that Yehimelkor was holding back, as if expecting him to say something.

“I had no idea,” he offered, not very cleverly. Yehimelkor´s eyes devoured his face.

“What do you think of her, Hannimelkor?”

Amandil shifted in his chair, uneasy and annoyed at the same time. He had a vague idea of how the stories could be linked.

“I...”

“What do you think of her?” The question was repeated, almost in anger.

This time, Amandil rose to the bait.

“She was a coward. I am not.”

Yehimelkor did not flinch.

“And yet you both betrayed your obligations.”

“Our obligations?” Amandil fumed, standing up from the chair and throwing caution to the winds. “I did not ask for that child! And yet it came, and now I have an obligation towards it, too! It is mine!”

“And that is the question.”

It was a low whisper, and yet it gave Amandil pause.

“What?”

“Alashiya was a traitor,” Yehimelkor continued, but there was a little more feeling in his voice now. “And yet she had children, and her children had children, and now, I am here, alive. Her lineage is alive.”

“Your lineage, just like mine, has been judged by men, and condemned by them. However, the gods hold their own counsel, of which we can only perceive an imperfect echo with all our prayers and visions.”

He had fallen back to his old, didactical tone, the same with which he had explained to a bored child everything about omens and divine volition. Any belief Amandil might have held that he was understanding the point of the conversation died in renewed confusion.

“What does that mean?” What do you mean by that? was what he truly would have asked, but for once he had the wits to choose the less confrontational answer.

“The gods do not wish your lineage to die. For what reason ever, they are challenging the King´s decision, and so must I. However,” he interjected swiftly as he saw Amandil´s mouth open to say something, “you are still a betrayer. Our ties are broken, and I advise you to respect this notion. A great disaster is in store for you if our paths ever cross again.”

Amandil´s dismay should have been deep enough to show, etched in every line of his face. He stared at Yehimelkor as if it was the first time he saw this thin, heavily-robed figure evaluating him with a harsh and regal look. As if it was the first time that he felt the sense of perfect righteousness, the sense of clear finality that emanated from the priest´s voice and gestures whenever he felt backed by the mighty wisdom of the King of Armenelos.

Then, Yehimelkor´s right sleeve fell back a little, and he saw the dark shadow of blood. Before he could even blink, or swallow a sudden anguish that gathered in his throat, it had disappeared under the white folds.

It was over. Of all the words he could say, of everything he would have wanted this man to know, Amandil knew that none would be heard. He was being told to leave the rooms where he had studied heavy books, knelt day after day in front of the fire to pray, and woken up at nights to see a familiar light burning in the adjoining rooms, as the austere priest kept his watches.

He could not ask him to understand. He could not tell him that he was sorry, for it had been his decision to make. He could not ask for forgiveness, for the God, as it appeared, had spoken.

And still, he realised with a jolt, there was something that he could say. Swallowing deeply, he sank to his knees on the floor, and bowed thrice.

“I, Hannimelkor, thank you with all my heart for everything you have done for me,” he recited, in a strong, ringing voice that he fought to keep steady. All of a sudden, he found that his awkwardness was gone, and everything he wanted to say fell from his lips easily. “You saved me, took me, taught me, named me, and let me go. For all those things, my gratitude is as deep and boundless as the ocean.”

An unreadable emotion crossed Yehimelkor´s eyes, briefly warming their steely coldness. He gave him a tight nod.

“I will pray for you”, he said. And with this he turned back, and walked inside his rooms with the silent irrevocability of a High Priest after a sacrifice.

 

A Secret Wedding

Read A Secret Wedding

 

He barely heard the mutterings behind his back as he took three sips from the cup of blue glass. Mutely, he handed it over the tray, and her pale hands trembled a little under the veil as she took it from him.

Amandil gazed behind the shadows, trying to read the expressions of the man and the woman who sat there, watching their daughter drink. Not to his surprise, they were frowning.

It had been Pharazôn, the last person in Númenor he would have asked for that kind of advice, who had told him to enter their house proudly and not put himself down. They had been very vocal at first, and even threatened to have him killed, but eventually they had come round. He was not sure if it had been because they had understood his situation, because Amalket had sworn to her mother that she would spread the rumours of her pregnancy herself if they refused their consent, or because of the liberal amounts of gold he had offered them. As planned, he had promised he would send further quantities, through “a friend” who was “a distinguished associate” of “his family of Gadir.”

Belatedly, he had realised that he owed Pharazôn so many things now– not least his wedding, and maybe even the life of his child.

The hardest to manage had been Amalket´s father, a tall and strong man who believed himself to have influence in Armenelos, even though, as a guard, he was not even allowed to cross the inner threshold of the Palace. He also believed that his daughter could have done much better than some foreign merchant with a hawkish nose. Even after they had struck the agreement –shamelessly enough- he had continued with his threats.

“I have friends among the soldiers of Sor.” he had said, surveying him with a particularly scathing look. “If you are doing this only to run away – believe me, you will only reach the shores of Middle-Earth as a rotten corpse washed upon the shore. Am I making myself clear?”

“Perfectly clear”, Amandil replied, putting the restraint he had learned in the temple of Melkor to use. “You seem to think I would have needed to pay you a good bride price and marry your daughter in order to escape.”

The suspicious look in the man´s face was barely altered by this logic.

“Maybe not. However, you may yet change your mind.”

“I am not letting go of a career of brilliant prospects at the Temple of Melkor just in order to change my mind”, Amandil retorted, with an appropriately offended voice. This statement seemed to infuriate his father-in-law even further.

“You dare complain? My daughter has been forced to let go of brilliant marriage prospects because of you!”

Their eyes met, and Amandil´s grey held a hard glint.

“I am not such a bad prospect.” he said. To his surprise, the words came to his mouth with a natural pride, not with the forced bravado that he had envisioned himself using at his friend´s advice.

It even gave the other man some pause.

“You...” he muttered, pacing in circles.  For a while, he kept opening and closing his mouth as he wondered how best to put it. “You are a merchant.”

“Yes, I am. And in the colonies of Middle-Earth, there are no other nobles than us merchants. Once I am discharged from the Bay, she will be held in great honour there.”

All this had not stopped them from frowning even at the very night of the wedding. But soon, at least, he would not have to care about that.

Slowly, he tried to relax. The room was dark and quiet, lighted by a few, scattered perfume candles. Only a small wooden statue of the Lady, painted in light colours and dressed in finery, presided over their wedding with a vague smile upon her lips.

“Well. “A woman´s pointed cough broke through the tense silence, and they put the cup back on the table. “Now, she is your wife.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

After all the stolen nights they had spent in that very place, breathlessly listening for the barest sound of footsteps, the faintest flutter of robes, it was strange to sit there now with all lamps alight, upon a bed that smelled of perfume.

Amandil saw Amalket discard the veil, and turn a nervous smile in his direction. Her cheeks were covered in a soft blush, but she kept gazing at the bed with the same discomfort that he felt.

“This...” she whispered after a long, incommodating silence, “does not feel natural.”

He laughed, as if her words had been some kind of cue to give free rein to his own emotions.

“Right now, I would feel more comfortable if I could breathe some fresh air.”

She smiled, and nodded.

“It can be done.”

Her mother and the servant were waiting in the corridor, and they stared at them in shock as they passed by, hand in hand, heading for the backyard. There, they lay on the moonlit porch, next to a fountain whose running waters soothed the nerves that had been tight with worry for so long.

“The moon will be full in a week.” she mused aloud, laying her head upon his shoulder. Locks of oily, scented hair had escaped the tight lines of her headdress, and tickled the skin of his neck.

He looked at her belly. The curve of the stomach under the saffron robes was as slight and graceful as ever. Only the sollicitous hand that stroked it as she watched the skies bore witness to the presence of his baby in her womb.

“Do you really have to go?”

Amandil froze.

“Amalket...”

Her hand moved until it was laid upon his, flawless skin contrasting sharply with the burns and scars of the holy fire.

“Shhh. Do not get me wrong. I know why you did it!” she whispered. “Believe me, I do! You did it for me. For us.” He relaxed. “But I wonder if... if we had just.... left...”

Amandil shook his head. Since he had chosen the path he would take, he had known that this question would come sooner or later – and that he would owe her an explanation.

“My family...” he began, then cleared his throat. “My family is not happy with me. I was consecrated when I was born, and if I lost my honour now and just –fled, they would curse me. I have to honour their arrangement and enter the Sacred Cave. “

As he said this, a part of him wondered if it could be more than one of those many well-crafted lies that he needed in order to survive. What would his parents, in Sor, think of his actions?

He had been a priest of Melkor for thirteen years, he thought, a familiar heavy weight sinking in his stomach like lead. Surely, if they had wanted to curse him, they would have done it already.

“And then, there is another reason”, he continued, forcing himself to return to the matter at hand. “I know I told you that it was just a pretext. Maybe this is even what I believed back then, but now I feel that the... Lady is truly claiming me.”

Amalket hid her surprise behind her hands. Amandil wondered why it was so difficult to elaborate.

“Some god brought us this child. There is no other explanation, “he continued, remembering Yehimelkor´s words to him in that last conversation. “A god that did not want me to remain in the service of the Temple of Armenelos. And then, the priests of the Lady decide to help me... I think it is a signal.”

If he had told her the complete truth, if he had said that sometimes he doubted that the high being who had seen fit to make their lives a mess was counted among the gods of the Númenorean people, she would not have understood. She would maybe have been afraid.

As it was, she looked at him in newfound awe.

“Do you think she is.... protecting our child?” Her hand stroked her belly with an almost covetous insistence now.

“Maybe. She could have planned something for its future. Or mine. We should obey her wishes, and see what happens.”

She turned back to gaze at the water, and slowly, her enthusiasm gave way to a thoughtful expression. When she looked at him again after a while, there was a tiny frown upon her forehead.

“They say that the priestesses of Ashtarte-Uinen are the most desired women in Númenor. I hope you are not thinking about that when you speak of obeying her wishes.”

Amandil´s eyes widened at her accusation, but not in offense. Since the news of the baby had first shaken their lives, fear and worry seemed to have banished any jealous thoughts far from her mind. It was as if a part of her had been lost, and now that he felt it come back again he realised how much he had loved her for it.

“Priests of the Lady are forbidden to bed fellow priests – and priestesses”, he informed. “If that regulation did not exist, the Forbidden Bay would probably have become a common brothel long ago.”

“I hear it is a common brothel already”, she argued, sulkily.

“Then, why don´t you make sure that you keep an eye on me?” he challenged. “You can travel there. See me whenever you wish. If you pretend to be a pilgrim and we are careful enough, nobody will be the wiser.”

All animosity forgotten, her eyes widened in pure glee.

“Really? I...I... of course I will go!!”

Amandil nodded, heartened.

“They say that the Forbidden Bay is the most beautiful place in Númenor. The realm of the Love-goddess. It could be nice to meet there.”

“Oh, just wait. I am going to have you expelled for indecent behaviour.” Suddenly, she whipped around and kissed him. He leaned forwards, kissing her back.

When the kiss broke, her wedding headdress had fallen, and a more familiar light was beginning to set her features ablaze. Amandil had to swallow deeply – was this the reason why he had chosen that path, after all?

“I... am sorry that I have to leave so soon”, he muttered, not really knowing what he was saying. “I would have liked... I would have preferred....”

“I know.”

“I will send you money.”

She laughed, pressing her body against his.

“People will think I am some nobleman´s mistress.”

For a moment, a distant sense of alarm gave him pause, but it was drowned under a cascade of more immediate sensations.

“And what will you say to that?” he muttered between kisses. Her clear laugh rang in his ears again.

“I will make them terribly envious with stories about a handsome and mysterious rich man of the colonies.” she said. He felt himself relax, and laughed back at the purposeful silliness in her voice. “I hope the child looks like you.”

“Do you?”

Amandil had never seen himself as handsome. Most people stared at him and decided that he had to be some kind of foreigner, if not something worse, and his friend Pharazôn´s looks could outshine much better looking men than he. And then, of course, Yehimelkor would have scolded him for thinking of his personal appearance...

A small pang of sorrow made him wince. It would take long, to get used to the priest´s absence. It would take long to get used to so many things.

The departure was scheduled for next week.

“Is something the matter?” Amalket whispered, giving him a worried look. Some of his thoughts, it seemed, had been reflected in his face.

He shook his head in dismissal, and proceeded to bury his face in her pale neck with a renewed, almost desperate hunger.

“Nothing.” he groaned, as he felt his wife´s hands start to fumble with her clothes.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“So you are leaving.”

The moon had set in a blaze of red behind the slopes of the Meneltarma, and the city of Armenelos lay in the quiet darkness that preceded dawn. In the gardens of the royal temple villa, the song of night birds was already beginning to fade.

The traveller stared in disbelief at the cloaked figure that stood in front of him.

“I cannot believe that you actually came.”

The figure made a gesture of impatience.

“But of course I came! My friend is leaving Armenelos for good, and you think I should have stayed in bed?”

Amandil shook his head, but did not speak. After a moment of slightly awkward silence, it was the other young man who spoke again.

“I am going to miss practicing swordsmanship with you.”

A faint smile.

“You are not going to improve at all without the challenge.”

“You think so?” Pharazôn furrowed his brow, but suddenly his face lit up, and his eyes sparkled with mischief. “I will just have to travel to the Forbidden Bay myself, then. Now, that would be an idea! I have heard they have the best priestesses in Númenor and the colonies... why, they told me the High Priestess can even...!”

“Now, now, stop making me jealous.” Amandil interrupted him before he was subjected to a detailed description of one of his new superiors´s sexual prowess. “I will not be able to bed any of them.”

Pharazôn rolled his eyes.

“Because of your wife?” he guessed. His friend shook his head.

“Because of the rules of the sanctuary.”

The mocking expression turned, after a moment, to pity.

“Oh. Well.”

Amandil shrugged. For a while, again, both struggled against the weight of silence, closing their mouths when the words didn´t come to them. A breeze blew through the trees, stirring the lighter branches with a long, smothered hiss.

This time, it was Amandil who spoke first.

“I...” He swallowed. “I cannot possibly thank you enough. Everything you have done, making this marriage possible, providing all that gold...”

Pharazôn shook his head, with the slightly impatient, regal air that would come only to someone used to hearing similar words all the time. Amandil hoped that the darkness would hide the red in his face.

“Stop that! You are my friend. “The prince smiled. “And I prefer it when you are being grumpy.”

The blush in Amandil´s face became even more pronounced. He took a long breath.

“There are no words to convey how this is embarrassing to me... but after all you have done, I still must ask something else of you.” His arms were crossed over his chest, and he glared at his companion. “Stop laughing!”

“What is it?” Pharazôn asked, the supressed smile still twinkling in his eyes. “Do you want me to keep your wife satisfied in your absence?”

Amandil did not even bother to make a reply. After knowing him for such a long time, he was aware that this was Pharazôn´s idea of a way to ease the tension.

“No, it is...”Their eyes finally met. “Will you protect my child? I am in no situation to do it myself, and I fear....”

“Oh, please. Do not tell me that this was what all the fuss was about.” The prince shook his head in disbelief. “As if I was not going to do it already! “For a moment, he seemed to sober, and his eyes took a steely glint. “May the King of Armenelos and the Lady of the Forbidden Bay rip my soul to pieces if I ever let any harm come to your child while I live.”

Amandil nodded in silent gratitude. The sounds of the first conversation had broken somewhere in the nearby streets of the Eastern Hill.

“I am now completely in your debt, then.”

“Yes, yes.” Pharazôn waved it away again. “I hope it is a boy. A good fighter, like his father. I need men if I am ever to conquer Middle-Earth.”

Amandil thought about that for a moment.

“I would prefer that, too. I will be so far away, and a girl... somehow, seems even more vulnerable.”

His friend stared into the distance, searching for the first rays of light.

“Yes, they seem so.... “His voice trailed away, just as a strange expression flickered over his face, and he shook his head as if to dislodge a nagging thought. “But dawn is here. Come on! You should be going now.”

Amandil nodded, and arranged the folds of his cloak. The Morning Star was the only one that still resisted the oncoming onslaught of brightness. Beyond the tiled roof that encircled them, he could imagine the silent, majestic city of Armenelos stretching under the mountain, with its labyrinthic streets and colourful domes.

When would he see it again?

“Farewell, then.” he said, forcing his voice to ring clear and steady. “Farewell, my friend.”

 

*     *     *      *     *

 

It was almost summer already, and the colourful and fragrant spring gardens had been abandoned in favour of the coolness of the fountains. It was there, sitting under the shade of two pine trees, that he found his mother, and she smiled at him as if she had expected his visit all along.

He ignored her silent invitation to sit.

“I would like to thank you in Amandil´s behalf.” he spoke, meeting her amused, hazel eyes with his. “Without your help...”

Her laughter was as clear as the water spilling before them.

“Stop being so formal.” She shook her head. “I know how fond you are of him; I had no other choice than to do what I could for his sake.”

Pharazôn nodded.

“It must have been quite difficult to... speak to the King about this matter.”

“Oh, on the contrary!” she exclaimed, making a sharp gesture of dismissal. “I told him that you both had become friends, and that I would do whatever it took to stop that Western fiend from corrupting my only son. The Lady, in her infinite graciousness, had heard my concerns and sent me a vision. We both agreed that killing him for no reason after thirteen years of public service in the Temple would be... unadvisable. Especially when he is under the protection of that phenomenon – what was his name?”

His son stared at her in disbelief.

“You told him that?”

“Why, of course! What would you have done, go to the King and ask him to please help your dear friend?” She shrugged, somewhat disappointedly. “You have the subtlety of a three year old.”

A spark of indignation flickered in the young man´s eyes, though it was quickly replaced by an inquiring stare.

“I suppose I should wonder if what you told the King was true.”

Melkyelid sighed.

“You seem to have lost all trust in me. Even though I do nothing but help you, over and over again.”

Pharazôn looked a little guilty at this. He shook his head violently.

“ I also have been in communication with your cousin once again.” she continued, changing the subject. “She gave me something for you.”

“Stop your... your meddling!”

Melkyelid´s eyes narrowed.

“You did not mind my meddling when you needed it to help your friend.”

“That was...” He looked lost for a moment, then forced himself to adopt a deliberately polite tone. “Please, do not interfere in my relationship with the young Princess of the West. This is my business.”

“And what if she is careless enough as to come to me?”

Curiosity made a dent in Pharazôn´s determination.

“Did she?”

Melkyelid´s lips curved into a smile.

“She did. And she gave me this.”

In spite of himself, the young man leaned forwards as he saw something glint in his mother´s hand. His breath caught as he checked it closer. It was the most beautiful piece of jewelry he had seen in his life, if maybe not the most splendid. The gem looked like a large emerald at first sight, but it gleamed with the bluish hue of the Sea in summer, and the silvery material in which it was engraved had been wrought in the shape of small leaves, with a skill that surpassed that of the crafters of Gadir and Sor.

He swallowed, astounded.

“What the...?”

“This is something very ancient. I guess it is a family heirloom. “Melkyelid ventured with a delicate frown. “Any idea on why would she give it to you?”

“Did she say anything?” he asked, even more mystified than she was. The jewel felt strangely warm in the palm of his hand.

“Only that you might need it one day. But when I asked her why, she said that she did not know.”

Pharazôn shook his head. Zimraphel was as strange as she was unpredictable. Almost as he thought this, he experienced a shiver, and a familiar feeling of longing that he had been repressing for months now. He clenched his teeth, furious at himself for thinking of her when he had sworn to himself that he wouldn´t.

“She probably wanted to spite her family for some reason or other. She does that quite often.” he said, trying to sound casual and unconcerned. But he could tell that his mother, with her uncommonly sharp eyes, had noticed his inner struggle.

“I see. I would advise you not to wear it in public, then.” she said. “There might be... consequences.”

Pharazôn looked at her in outrage.

“I was not planning on... wearing this thing.” Its beauty was dazzling, and it felt so warm in his hand. Like her.

“I will put it in a box somewhere.” he decided, pushing it inside his robes and offering her a curt bow. Melkyelid smiled pleasantly.

“That would be a good idea.”

She probably had recognized his lie as easily as she always did. But still, she chose not to point this out to her son as he turned away from her, and left her gardens at a stormier pace than was strictly proper.

The Lady's Battle

Read The Lady's Battle

It was midday when the gates opened. The sound of many voices singing in a choir wafted from inside the temple, woven into the gusts of sea breeze. An ocean of heads and outstretched arms immediately gathered round, threatening to drown a figure in fluttering robes of blue, whose silver crown gleamed with pearls in the sunlight. She was raising her hands in the air, both frozen in a gesture of petrified might.

 

Amandil watched the statue of Ashtarte-Uinen as it was rocked left and right, in its slow and laborious procession through the petal-flooded avenue that led into the sands of the beach. Thousands of locals and pilgrims pressed around, trying to touch an inch of the fabric of her dress.

 

In the twenty years he had spent at the Forbidden Bay, he had never yet been allowed the honour of carrying the statue to the sea for her trip, something for which he felt guiltily thankful. How did those priests avoid being crushed or suffocated by the mob was something that remained a mystery to him.

 

Above his head, the white houses of the outskirts shone, their front splendidly decorated with flower boughs and the sensuous scarlet fruits of the Goddess. Even further, the cloudless sky of the summer solstice stretched in an endless patch of radiant blue that matched the robes of the Lady who received the homage of her faithful Bay this morning.

 

Amandil did not know when or how this festival had originated, but he knew that it was ancient. It sank its deep roots on a legend, a tale of much older days when maybe Númenor did not yet exist, and the world was shrouded in darkness. The scrolls where it had been copied, kept at the Cave, spoke of how one of Darkness´s own creatures, a monstrous serpent of terrible and unpredictable moods  known as Yam, had once held sway over the seas. In rebellion against Eru and the world, he had plunged them in a perpetual raging gale, where no ship could sail, no fish could dive, and not even the Immortals could draw close.

 

In defiance of him, the Goddess had stood upon the shore, and stars pierced the clouds to shine on her crown. Their battle had lasted thirty years and thirty months, and its clatter could be heard in the far ends of the world. In the end, the serpent had been subdued, and Ashtarte-Uinen had become the Queen of the Seas. It was to commemorate  this victory that, once a year, a painstakingly carved and painted image of the Lady of the Sanctuary was dressed in all her finery, taken out by the priests, and put on a ship that drifted away from the shore.

 

Though it was too crowded for Amandil to see much in front of him, he felt the soft crunch of the sand under his feet, and realised that they had arrived to the beach. Now the multitude would disperse in all directions, and stand on the shore to watch the Lady´s departure. He remembered the first time that Amalket had seen this, how she had followed the boat´s trail with awed eyes while she took advantage of the crowd pressing around them to lean against his shoulder. Out of an impulse, he sought around him for the hundredth time, in search of a glimpse of soft brown hair and honey eyes.

 

He swallowed, wondering why he felt so disappointed. He had known, hadn´t he, that she would not come. Since the untimely death of her father, the force of circumstances had tied her to her frail mother´s side. And their son...

 

For a moment, he remembered the flustered face of a young, dark haired boy of ten, seeing his father for the first time.

 

“Hannishtart?” Amandil jumped as he heard the voice of the senior priest behind his back. “You are not supposed to be talking to the pilgrims when your duty lies in the Cave!”

 

A hungry, last look, carefully schooled into a vacant expression. A polite bow.

 

“I hope you will find your way from here, foreigners.”

 

He would be around twenty, now. A man, he thought, almost incredulously. Would he have joined the Guard, as his grandfather before him?

 

Distracted, he watched the crowd scatter across the shore, and walked towards the circle of priests who were preparing the boat that would carry the image. He knew better than to approach them and offer his help: he was barely worthy to be in the procession. The special goodwill of the Lady had granted him the first two of the five degrees he ought to achieve, but the higher priests here, just as those of the god-he-could-not-name-anymore before them, had not forgotten his lineage. Nor the fact that the rich lands in the West that were now theirs had once belonged to his family.

 

Still, he had to admit that, compared to the temple of the Great God in Armenelos, life in the Forbidden Bay was freedom. Beauty alone was truly worshipped in the ancient Eldanna: to tend to the Lady´s silk embroideries, her complicated hairdresses, the sorting of the precious offerings of rich visitors and the rare flowers, trees and plants of the sacred gardens were the only religious duties of the priests of the Cave. Asides from this, they were allowed to train in the military arts by a warrior High Priest who set enough store in being prepared for combat –even though his dangerous neighbours were now gone-, their practice only disturbed now and then by the crystalline laughter of the priestesses who spied on them.

 

The notes of a song broke around him, and Amandil knew that the boat was now ready. Together with the thousands of people who surrounded him, he watched how they set it free, and how, slowly and clumsily, it began to sail. The wooden statue leant dangerously to the left for a moment, pushed by the waves, then regained its balance. Sunlight cast dazzling reflections upon her crown.

 

Blinded by their light, he closed his eyes, and suddenly felt a strange sensation creeping over him. It was a pang of anguish, like mourning for someone that he did not know had died. The waves crashed behind his back, and he was sitting on that boat, his fist clenched over a rope as he forced himself to surrender to the mysterious, windless pull that took him away from the shore.

 

He blinked, and then it was gone. He was standing on the beach, and everybody around him was singing as the boat drifted farther away and, in spite of the winds and the currents, headed straight West.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

As he knelt before the Cave´s altar to replace the burning inciense, sounds of laughter and merrymaking reached Amandil´s ears from the distance. Outside this humid, secluded place people were feasting on the beach, eating and drinking until their bodies could hold no more. Once, he remembered wistfully, he had done it with Amalket – the only hour of unrestrained bliss that they had shared since their secret wedding had been full of drunken cries and elbows and the ocassional flying object.

 

Standing on top of her mountain of sacred boughs, the statue of the Lady loomed over him with her smile of frozen ivory. He left the silver casket before her feet and bowed to her nervously, as he would a living Queen.

 

Sometimes, he could not help but feel that such a magnificent being had to be alive in some form. Were those eyes, filled to the brim with silent acceptance, truly fixed on him as he walked away?

 

Almost at the same time, he scoffed at his own imagination. After all those years! The gods of Númenor despised him.

 

“Hannishtart.”

 

The whispered word broke the sanctuary´s spell of quietude, forcing him to blink his musings away. He bowed thrice, and turned back to meet the gentle face of a young priestess.

 

Nodding in silence, she moved towards the gate, and he followed her. Outside, the shadows had grown long, and the Sun reminded him of a great ball of fire plunging into the waves.

 

“What do you want?” he asked, as both waded past the closest groups of faithful with garlands on their hair. She walked slowly, as all priestesses did, with small and graceful steps, and he had to do a conscious effort to tame his long strides.

 

“His Holiness sent me to find you”, she replied, recoiling in horror as a flying jet of wine made a purple stain on her tunic. “He – oh, how I hate this!- wants to tell you something.”

 

Amandil frowned, surprised. It was very rare that the High Priest would want to speak to him; in fact, all the priests of rank seemed to make a point of ignoring him as much as possible. The Forbidden Bay was the centre of power in the West of the Island; politics were nearly as important here as they were in Armenelos. Anyone found consorting with the heir of the ancient neighbour and rival, convicted for treason, would not have a very bright future.

 

Back in the capital, Amandil had realized soon after his departure, Yehimelkor had been quite reckless to become his protector. Nobody in this sanctuary was willing to take such a risk, but after all that had happened to him in the past, for Amandil this had been a relieving experience more than anything else. He had no need for any more conflicted feelings.

 

The avenue that headed towards the temple where they lived was still covered in dirty and trampled flower petals. A cool breeze whispered on the tree branches, already obscured from sight as they reached the building.

 

Thanking his companion for her trouble, Amandil went to his room and cleaned himself thoroughly. He also changed his robes, and combed his hair –Yehimelkor had been right, it tended to be in disorder- before he finally decided he was presentable enough for an audience with the holy Itashtart. He knocked at his door, and waited with a swiftly beating heart until he was summoned.

 

“Enter.”

 

The elderly man was sitting on his desk, busy with some papers. In spite of the lines of his face and the grey of his hair, he still had the bearing of a warrior. The first time that Amandil had laid eyes on him, he recalled with a jolt, he had felt more affinity with this man than he had with the priests of Armenelos, but Itashtart –not unsurprisingly- had never wanted anything to do with him.

 

Until now.

 

Amandil knelt on the floor and bowed, keeping a respectful silence until he was addressed. He heard a loud rustling of papers, then, finally, a grave voice addressing him.

 

“Raise your head.”

 

He obeyed and sat back on his feet in the most comfortable position he could manage. Itashtart was staring at him, just as intensely as he crushed a discarded draft on his fist or shattered his wooden targets in arms practice.

 

“I will be quick and direct”, he announced, picking up a new document and playing with it in his hand. “There will be an army leaving the harbour of Sor by the end of the month, and our people are going to be on it. The King wants new temples to be consecrated in the vicinity of Umbar, to keep away the shadow of Barad-dûr. Abdashtart will lead them, and he has requested you to be on the party.”

 

Amandil´s eyes widened, and he had to forcefully suppress a start. Whatever he had been imagining, it had not been this.

 

“I had to agree. I have followed your arms practice, and there is no one here who is half as good as you are.”

 

The young man could not muster the wits to be thankful for this unexpected praise. He was too busy analysing this new situation.

 

Many years after he arrived to the Western sanctuary, he had to admit, his wish to travel eastwards had remained undimmed. Pharazôn had visited several times –paid his respects to the Lady on behalf of his family-, but he never brought anything more than the usual news. In the end, Amandil had decided to banish those foolish hopes from his mind, at least for the time being.

 

Now, however... A blind excitement began coursing through his veins. He would see Pharazôn, and Amalket, and his son. He would see the world. The prison that had held him for so long would be broken.

 

And yet...

 

“Thank you very much, Your Holiness”, he recited, trying to keep his voice carefully devoid of any emotion. Why had he been summoned alone? “I will uphold the honour of this sanctuary.”

 

“I thought it was me who was supposed to say that”, Itashtart remarked, but then waved his apology away in some impatience. “Never mind. You are surely aware that not many people trust you, here or in the East.”

 

Amandil swallowed deeply. So there it was. His glance became fixed on a dot of the floor.

 

“I solemnly swear to you that –“

 

Itashtart waved his words away once again.

 

“I know what you are going to say. You are trustworthy. However, it is not enough that you say it, you must prove it as well. And this is a good opportunity to do so.”

 

Amandil nodded in silence. He was beginning to understand. It was not only his fighting skills what had made his superiors choose him for this mission.

 

He thought he could guess the relief of the High Priests once that such a compromising novice was safely away from their hands, beyond the Eastern Sea, and maybe getting killed by Orcs or barbarians. This was their answer to the King´s manouevres.

 

He, once again, was right in the middle of it.

 

As he spoke again, he did his utmost to sound as thankful as he could, bowing several times and promising not to disappoint. Deep inside, he was convincing himself that he  should not care about what they thought as long as this would enable him to see his family, his friend, and the vast shores of a land that had meant freedom to him since he was a mere child who was taken away from his parents.

 

A strange feeling came upon him, so strong that he was almost forced to close his eyes. Could it be this, what that morning´s vision had announced?

 

“You may retire for now.” the High Priest dismissed him. He bowed deeply once again, then stood up and headed towards the door.

 

Out of an impulse, he broke into a run, causing two priestesses to shriek in surprise as he almost crashed against them. Barely stopping to breathe an apology, he pushed the door of his room open with a loud clang, and grabbed his sword. The weight felt familiar and comfortable in his right hand.

 

At night the practice grounds were usually empty, as it was impossible to see an inch apart from one´s nose. Amandil was not deterred. They said it was like this in the deep recesses of Middle-Earth, where Orcs crawled and waited for their enemies to wander off. Their eyes could pierce the darkness to hunt for flesh, and if he gave them a chance they would feast on it. The fact that he was a priest of the Lady would matter as little to them as it did to the holy Itashtart and his counsellors.

 

Thrusts alternated with parries, with a ferocity that would have sent a real opponent reeling against the walls. Amandil had no lack of those in the Forbidden Bay, and each one of them had fallen to his practice blade. That had not helped him make friends, either.

 

Many times, he had wished fervently for Pharazôn to be there, to face him with his unbreakable vanity. He remembered the boy in the Temple, the gleam of determination in his eyes whenever he struggled to his feet and demanded another round. The prince was also a true warrior, one who wouldn´t hesitate if fate brought him to the ancient enemy´s black gates. How he would envy Amandil for being sent where he himself had always wanted to be, into the thick of the battle!

 

No poisoned gift would have been able to daunt him, either.

 

“Hannishtart”, a voice spoke behind his back. Startled away from his thoughts, he froze and turned towards its source.

 

It was a young priest, about ten years younger than Amandil himself. He had been among those who engaged in arms practice daily, a pale-faced would-be warrior who held his sword too tightly and tensed his limbs too much. Amandil had floored him a couple of times, and after that the young man had sought less intimidating challenges.

 

“Eshmounazer”, he greeted him, putting his practice sword aside. “What brings you here at this late hour? The feast must be getting quite rowdy by now.”

 

“I was wondering...” He advanced a few steps, and Amandil could hear their echo in the growing darkness. “Have you heard of the... summons? The summons to the mainland, I mean.”

 

“Are you coming, too?” Amandil wiped his forehead, and looked closer at him. Eshmounazer´s eyes were brimming with some emotion. “I see. Did you come to test your skills before our departure?”

 

“Not really.” The dismissal sounded hasty, as he raised both hands. “I... knew you had to be coming, of course. They would not leave someone like you behind!”

 

“I am not too good at consecrating temples”, Amandil retorted dryly, thinking of all the problems that suddenly arose whenever it seemed like he might apply for the next degree of priesthood. “I am not holy enough.”

 

“But we are not going there just to consecrate temples! We will take part in the battles, like the others”, Eshmounazer insisted. “Even if we do not, the battle will be exactly where we are.”

 

And someone won´t be praying for my safety, Amandil thought to himself.

 

“That is so”, he replied. Someone was lighting the lamps at the other side of the yard, and under their light he finally saw the anxiety in Eshmounazer´s face. “Is something worrying you?”

 

“Why are you always so brave?” the younger man suddenly burst, unable to keep it to himself for any longer. “Nothing ever affects you. Not even the idea of...”

 

“... fierce barbarians and Orcs who will tear you to pieces and eat you?” The words echoed harshly in the night, and Amandil realized his rudeness. He had been remembering a child who had been alone in a temple, searching the darkness for signs of Orcs and Balrogs who would come to get him.

 

Orcs and Balrogs were said to be terrible, true, but here in Númenor the will of one man was enough to kill him. That threat was hanging continuously above his head, but it would never face him head on.

 

“Are you not afraid of them eating you?”

 

“Not if I have my sword”, he replied. That, at least, depended on him. “And you should think the same. Is that not the reason why you learned to wield it?”

 

“I never thought I would be sent to Middle-Earth! Maybe fight some rebels from Andúnië, but even they are gone now. Númenor is a peaceful realm.”

 

“The colonies are part of Númenor, too.”

 

“I forgot. That is where you are from, are you not?” Eshmounazer seemed to forget his worries for a moment to give him a curious look. “You would be... going home.”

 

Amandil thought of Armenelos, the home of his hidden wife and son and the man who would never set eyes upon him again. Then, he thought of Sor, and the prisoners who spent their lives in the upper floors of merchant palaces.

 

“Yes”, he nodded. “You could say that.”

 

“I see. I am... happy for you, then. See you.” Eshmounazer waved to him, and started walking towards the lights of the porch. Amandil watched him leave in silence, until the words that had been so slow in coming finally found their way through his mouth.

 

“Believe in your strength and your training. If you do that, you will feel much better.”

 

Eshmounazer stopped in his tracks. He seemed to think of this as he wiped his eye with the back of his left hand, then shrugged.

 

“It seems easier when you say it.”

 

It seems easier when you have been afraid since you were a child. Amandil smiled tersely.

 

“With the help of the Lady, we will manage”, he said, waving at his companion´s retreating figure. Then, he knelt to pick back his sword, and resumed his thrusts with renewed ferocity.

Heading East

Read Heading East

They were to leave the Forbidden Bay at dawn, when the town was still asleep and the roads empty of pilgrims. Before the first light had pierced the shadows of the eastern sky, the departing host assembled at the candle-lit Cave, to sing hymns to the Goddess with wreaths of flowers upon their heads. Amandil´s voice joined the rest, and the sound coming from two hundred throats echoed powerfully within the stone walls.

 

The Lady stood above them, atop her pearl-incrusted moon and the mountain of green boughs of return. She did not seem to be looking at him as she usually did, maybe because the fumes of incense obscured her face. Or maybe because no ship would bear him back, the dark thought crossed his mind, but he tightened his hand on the pommel of his sword and forced himself to forget the dreams where the current always pulled him away from the shore.

 

After the prayer they drifted towards the paved courtyard, where they saddled and mounted their horses. Amandil had been given a stubborn grey mare, which he had been cleaning and feeding for the last days in the hope that she would grow used to him. As when he attempted to be a dutiful priest of Melkor or of Ashtarte-Uinen, however, his efforts had passed largely unnoticed, and the mare writhed and almost threw him down before she submitted with ill-grace.

 

The streets were largely deserted at that hour, though now and then a curious face would peer from a window.  Sleepy-faced vendors were building their stands at the side of the road, and they glared at them in startled resentment as they pulled their marchandise away from the horses´s hooves. Abdashtart rode at the head of the column, yelling at them to keep their pace up.

 

After a while, the town was left behind and they entered the forest paths, which were paved with flattened earth instead of stone. The scarlet fruits grew there in greater profusion, as did the golden mallorn trees that, according to Amandil´s mother, grew in what used to be their home up North. One day we will go back and see them, she had always promised, but the King would rather kill them all.

 

Little by little, the winding road was gaining height. As they left the trees behind, Amandil looked down and saw the beach, a radiant white plain that nobody had defiled since it last emerged from the waves, the gift that the Sea laid at the Lady´s feet twice a day. The waters of the bay were golden- and rose-coloured, and he had to look away before his eyes started to water. Around him, everything seemed dark by comparison.

 

As Abdashtart reminded them whenever he opened his mouth, they were expected in Armenelos by the fourth day, and they needed to make haste. Pauses were therefore scarce, and at night many a grumbling young man complained that they had barely closed their eyes when they were made to open them again. The inns built by Ar-Adunakhôr to ease the muster of forces across the island lay abandoned for the most part, and more than once they were made to huddle on the floor of some chilly hall where no fire had burned for a hundred years. Amandil preferred to sleep with the horses, as there it was at least warm. His mount was still giving him the cold shoulder, but there were others that did not mind him curling next to them. Other priests followed his example, but they would come in groups and not pay him much attention.

 

The second night, as he fell asleep among snorts and the smells of cheap wine and warm manure, he had that dream again. He was standing on the stern of a boat, and Númenor was behind him, steadily growing smaller in the distance. A feeling of great loss washed over him, so strong that he could remember it well into the next day. But when he turned towards the prow he woke up shaking, unable to remember what had scared him so much.

 

That was the last dream Amandil had for a while. After that, the many things which filled his mind distracted him from the visions that came in the night, and soon they even started to seem irrelevant in broad daylight. They were riding through the plains of Mittalmar now, and the white shadow of the Meneltarma was cast against the horizon.

 

Armenelos was drawing close.

 

Amandil did not remember it being so large, or having so many buildings. In his thoughts it had shrunk, becoming a single house where two women and a boy lived, and a temple with fires and corridors that sometimes seemed more of a dream than even the boat nightmares.

 

“Weren´t you a priest there, Hannishtart?”

 

It was Eshmounazer who spoke, pointing towards a domed building that stood on the top of the farthest hill of the city. Many young priests had never seen such a sight before, and they were muttering excitedly and staring at the King´s capital with looks of the purest awe. Amandil looked at the white towers, no bigger than his fingers at that distance, and the golden dome between them, right where the Fire burned day and night under the watchful look of the novices. Memories came crashing into his mind, of the endless nights, the hurting knees, the furtive escapades, the sound of muttered prayers in the neighbouring room and above all, the fear, of fire and discovery and the cold eyes of an old man sitting on a throne.

 

“Long ago, yes. Before I was claimed by the Lady.”

 

He knew that Eshmounazer would have asked more questions, if it hadn´t been too rude to do so. Tongues had wagged since the day that he appeared at the Forbidden Bay, straight from the service of the King of Armenelos, but only the senior priests knew the truth about him. Or what they thought to be the truth.

 

None of them knew that Amalket lived in a house next to the Palace hill, raising a boy who was his.

 

“There are no more inns. If we do not get to the city before nightfall, you will be sleeping under the stars tonight!” Abdashtart threatened from the front. Amandil gathered his reins, and reluctantly, the grey mare resumed her pace.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

It was night when they entered the city, just as it had been thirty-three years ago. This time, however, the vendors called to them as they crossed the narrow streets, and women in coloured veils smiled from the corners. Amandil ignored them, but others paused, with looks that reminded him of his friend Pharazôn.

 

“Those are not even courtesans”, he said to nobody in particular, though Eshmounazer heard him and turned away, looking flustered.

 

They were to spend the night split between four inns at the flat hollow in the city centre, not too far from the Palace hill. From there they would be summoned on the following morning, and they would have wished they had slept then, as Abdashtart warned in dire tones, but most young priests left the inn barely five minutes after he had turned his back on them. Armenelos was the capital and the jewel of Númenor, where nights were as bright as days. Wine houses, taverns and brothels awaited, ready to welcome the visitors at each turn of the street.

 

Amandil was glad of the opportunity to leave the place unnoticed. He threw his cloak over his shoulders, and took a cobbled street that stretched uphill. It was a side route, and it was empty except for a group of early drunks that huddled in front of a small door, which stood open and casting an orange glow over the pavement. When Amandil hurried past them, someone pointed at him and laughed. He wondered if it could be one of the people he had met in Pharazôn´s infamous feasts. He imagined them sitting inside with their cups, as if time had stopped for them when he left, their glances still unfocused as they paused in their song to follow the cadence of a woman´s legs.

 

The house was also standing right where he remembered it; a small, two-storied building painted in white, with a balcony where he had used to throw pebbles to alert of his secret visits. A lamp was burning inside, casting a dim radiance over the clay lattice. Under its light, he could see that the jasmine plant had reached the second floor by now. As he stood in front of the door and knocked, sweet-smelling petals fell over his cloak.

 

A light flickered in a window to his left, then went out. Amandil was debating whether he should announce his name, feeling again like the guilty intruder who shouldn´t draw attention to himself. In a sense, it was so – walls had ears in Armenelos, and the latticed windows above the street were as many manned sentry posts.

 

The light flicked on again. A soft rustling sound reached his ears from behind the door, and suddenly it creaked open, and a wrinkled face peered through.

 

She was smiling.

 

“My lady was beginning to worry”, she said, beckoning him in.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

“Who told you I was coming?”

 

Everything had happened too quickly at first to make sense of Amalket´s servant´s welcome, or Amalket´s beautiful new dress or her carefully painted face. There had been tears, and kisses, and embraces that tore his thoughts into shreds and left them hanging while he hugged her to his chest and muttered back her own words at her. But then, she caught his hand in hers and led him to a table that seemed to be sagging under the weight of meats and fruits, and the questions grew back.

 

“Your providers sent word.”

 

“My...?” The words died in his lips, and he stopped for a moment to ponder this. His providers were his father´s associates in Armenelos, who took care of his wife while he was serving the Goddess in the Forbidden Bay. His real father, of course, was not a merchant but a prisoner in Sor, and he had no associates in Armenelos or anywhere else. Pharazôn was behind it all, but Amandil couldn´t imagine how he might have known about...

 

“Come on!” Amalket complained, tugging at his hand. She was a fully-grown woman, a mother and the head of a household for years. A few lines had appeared in her face since the last time he had seen her, and yet she seemed to have become a girl again as soon as she laid eyes on him.

 

Realizing that it was useless to think about it now, and even more so to obsess over the implications of anyone in the Palace having heard of his choosing -Pharazôn could have just decided he had to be in the party, since he had a high opinion of his skills, didn´t he? or maybe even his mother, the Princess of the South, had had it from someone, since she had been a priestess of the Lady-, Amandil followed her towards the table. Just at that moment, her servant appeared with an old woman leaning on her arm. Her back was bent, and she walked very slowly.

 

“Look, Mother! See who is here!” Amalket shouted, though he was obvious enough, standing in the middle of the room with his hand in hers.

 

“Mother”, he bowed courteously. She stared at him for a long while, and he marvelled at how age had preyed on her so soon. Amalket said in her letters that she was ill, and now that he saw her frailty for himself, he could believe it.

 

After a while, she nodded in a vague way, allowing herself to be led towards a chair.

 

“How are your vows going?” Amalket asked him. “Will you have all five of them soon?”

 

“Soon”, he lied. He was as close to becoming a full priest as he had been the last time, and even after he had achieved all five vows the permission to leave the Cave would never be granted. It would be more useful to wait for Ar-Gimilzôr to be taken by the Darkness, but of course he could not say that to Amalket. The lies were necessary, and yet they brought a weight upon his chest.

 

One day, she would have to know. She was the mother of the child who was sent by some power -and deep inside he knew that, even if he was fated to spend his whole life in the shadows, her son would come to the light.

 

“You must be really high up in the temple, if they chose you to consecrate holy sanctuaries in Middle-Earth!” she chattered as he sat down. “Your blessings must be able to kill Orcs and drive the darkness away. And they trust you to keep the King´s soldiers safe, too!” Her expression suddenly sobered, and a crease appeared on her forehead. “Still, you must promise that you will be careful. The mainland is dangerous, and there are plenty of evils there. I would not want anything bad to happen to you!”

 

“I will be safe.” Another lie. “But where is our son? I am very eager to see him.”

 

Amalket took a wine jar and poured into his cup. The smell was spicy and sweet.

 

“Halideyid should be back soon. He´s been teaching swordsmanship to the sons of the Palace Guards, but he promised he would make haste.”

 

“Teaching... swordsmanship?” Amandil was surprised at this. He held the cup at a distance from his lips, staring at the lumps of cinnamon that swirled inside the liquid. “You know that if you need more money, you only have to...”

 

“We do not need more money!” she cut him fiercely. He looked up; he had not expected such a reaction. “He needs to join the Guards, that´s what he needs, and that´s what they´re making him do. So it´s his duty, and he´s getting nothing for it.”

 

“If my lady´s father was alive, things would be different”, the other woman huffed. “He would have had his arms at sixteen and he wouldn´t have to teach no snotty-nosed kids.”

 

“I like it”, a voice said from the corridor. Amandil left the cup on the table with a sharp noise, and turned towards the doorstep.

 

“Halideyid!” Amalket´s voice was laden with reproach. “You are all... sweaty, and dirty, and your father is here!”

 

“But you told me to make haste”, he argued, coming in. Then, he looked past his mother, and saw him sitting on the table. He stopped in his tracks, and his features sobered carefully. “Father.”

 

Amandil blinked. For a while, that seemed to stretch shamefully long, he could do little else than that. The last time that he had seen him, it had been over ten years ago. He remembered a tall boy, with a large nose and curious grey eyes. Now, however...

 

The man who stood in front of him, wrapped in a blue cloak, had the sharp features of the Andúnië line, or at least those of his father and the father of his father that Amandil barely remembered. Dark hair fell freely down his shoulders, like Amandil´s, but his looked more dishevelled than his father´s had ever been. That was because of the beard that covered the lower half of his face, still too new to be combed but too grown to pass unnoticed.

 

And still, what had struck Amandil the most was his height. As he stood in the middle of the room, the top of his head almost touched the ceiling, and he had needed to bow to cross the threshold of the door. He was taller than him, taller than any man he had ever seen, with long and lanky legs and arms that seemed to hang at his sides. When he stood up to greet him, Amandil was forced to look up to meet his eyes, and he felt briefly ridiculous.

 

“You have grown”, he muttered -and this, too, felt ridiculous. Fortunately, Amalket took his discomfort for sheer admiration, and beamed.

 

“Yes, our son has become quite the tall, powerful man! When we walk together, people take him for my husband!”

 

She would rather look like his daughter, at least from behind, running to keep up with his strides. Amandil´s mother had told him once that Elves were tall as trees, and also that the Western lords were descended from them thousands of years ago. But Elves had no beards or disheveled hairs or sweaty cloaks. This was a Man... his own son.

 

“Welcome to Armenelos, Father”, Halideyid said, feeling self-conscious under his stare. Amandil noticed this and looked away, searching for his cup while the young man sat in front of him. He had a strange way of sitting, sideways, with both legs stretched to the right and his upper body bent in the opposite direction, so as to be in line with the table. If he sat normally his knees would bump against the surface, Amandil realized.

 

“Hello, Grandmother.” The old woman smiled back at him, as he took the wine jar and started pouring on a cup. Liquid spilled to the sides, and Amalket stood up again.

 

“I will do that”, she offered, in a tone that brooked no discussions. “Hannishtart, please, we are eager to hear about your journey.”

 

“Is it true you are being sent to Middle-Earth?” Halideyid asked, dropping a piece of bread over the spice bowl. It was no isolated incident: during the meal he spilled a cup, dropped a pear on his lap and sent a knife flying into the bread basket. Amandil might have blamed it on embarrassment, but he noticed that Amalket and the other women seemed used to this clumsy behaviour. Watching him, he had the feeling that the young man´s arms were too long for his movements.

 

For a long while, he was the one who did most of the talking, while Halideyid and the women listened and ate in silence. He told them what little he had heard about the recent manouevres of Mordor, the problems in the colonies and the summons that had come to the Cave. Then, he told them of the journey East, and what lay ahead of them.

 

“So you are leaving tomorrow already?” Amalket asked, dismayed. “I thought...”

 

“We bought food for a week”, the servant nodded. “Well, at least we can prepare it for the journey...”

 

“Abila, if Father came back to his quarters with a bag of homemade food instead of a hangover there would be plenty of questions”, Halideyid intervened. For a moment his eyes met Amandil´s, and he rushed to fill his cup again.

 

As they were finishing, someone knocked at the door. Amandil felt concerned for a moment, but Amalket shook her head and sent Abila to answer it. She came back announcing the arrival of two boys for swordmanship class, and Halideyid stood up at once.

 

“If you would excuse me...”

 

“Couldn´t you have arranged it for another day?” Amalket asked, her hands on her hips.

 

“It was impossible. They already come every day, and their parents...”

 

“I do not mind”, Amandil interrupted the argument, smiling. Halideyid bowed and left, and he turned towards his frowning wife. “In fact, I think I would... like to take a peek. Just for a while.”

 

Her frown dissolved.

 

“Oh.” She thought about this in silence, then she looked at him again. She seemed suddenly embarrassed. “Hannishtart... I think that he... he wants to like you.” A blush covered her cheeks. “But he has only seen you once, and it is not your fault but...”

 

Amandil winced.

 

“He does not know me.” And it was true for both of them.

 

“Go and see him, then”, she urged, standing up and piling one plate in top of another. “I will be waiting for you later.”

 

Amandil nodded, grabbed his cloak and walked out of the room. He did not remember the way to the backyard very well, so he took some false turns through the dark corridors until the sound of voices and the clash of wooden swords finally reached his ears. The night was warm, and he found he had no need of the cloak he had brought. He walked gingerly through the wooden planks of the porch, not wanting them to creak under his feet and provoke an interruption. It was his house, and still he could not help feeling like an intruder.

 

He has only seen you once.

 

Halideyid was standing under the lamplight, holding a wooden sword. The two boys stood in front of him right where a fountain used to be years ago, under a cherry tree that looked strangely forlorn after its petals had scattered across the yard. They had to be around twelve or thirteen, the age that he and Pharazôn were when they had taken on the eighteen old son of the Palace armsmaster.

 

“Imagine that you fancy a girl, but she likes another boy”, Amandil´s son was saying. If he had noticed him sitting there, he chose to give no sign of recognition. “Your opponent has heard about it, so when you are in the middle of the fight, he suddenly taunts you about it. How would you feel?”

 

“I would be angry. I would want to shut his fat mouth”, one of the boys said. The other boy nodded in agreement.

 

“And embarrassed, if other people were listening”, Halideyid supplied. After a long moment of hesitation, both boys nodded this time.

 

“Now imagine that you have skipped your archery class. Your opponent saw that you were not there, and in the middle of the fight he tells you that you are in huge trouble and that everybody was looking for you. You would feel uneasy, would you not?”

 

Another nod.

 

“If you let anyone take you by surprise in this manner, you will lose track of what you are doing, and even if it´s just for a moment, you will forget everything you have been taught and grow careless. Then they will have an opening to defeat you.”

 

Amandil was listening with the same interest as the two boys.

 

“Keeping your emotions in check is a very important part of swordfighting, and you have to be very careful about it. You mustn´t let your opponent take you at unawares about anything. “Halideyid closed his eyes. “Do like me. Close your eyes and remember all the things that worry you.”

 

“Well... we are going to be tested in archery tomorrow, and...”

 

“Not like that! You have to do it in silence, only to yourself.”

 

The boy´s mouth snapped shut, and both of them stood still for a while. Amandil noticed, however, that their lips were moving in silence.

 

“Now, you are prepared. Try to fight me. Meanwhile, you can try to distract him if you know how.”

 

One of the students, the one who had talked about the test, fell into a stance, and Halideyid did the same. Their fight was unequal since the beginning, as Halideyid did nothing but parry the attacks. Still, Amandil was admired at his sudden transformation. The clumsy young man whose arms and legs were too long and unwieldy to pour wine on a dinner table wielded the sword with astonishing ease. No movement was longer or shorter than it had to be, no step superfluous.

 

“I-I saw Imil kissing another boy last night!”, the second boy cried.

 

“I know that is a lie, you are making it up to...”the one who fought began, but he could never finish the sentence because Halideyid got him first.

 

“See? You cannot afford to be distracted!”

 

“But I did not believe him!” the boy complained, rubbing his shoulder. The other laughed triumphantly.

 

“You fell for it, you fell for it!”

 

“Anything that takes your full attention away from the sword you´re wielding is a distraction. It doesn´t matter if you believed him or not, you looked away and paid him more attention than the fight. Try again!”

 

Amandil stayed there for the whole lesson, so absorbed by everything they said and did that he wasn´t even aware of the hour. When Halideyid announced that it was over, he was surprised.

 

As the boys crossed the porch to go back inside, they saw him for the first time, and they paused to look at him curiously. They were just boys, but Amandil felt uncomfortable under their stares.

 

“Come on”, Halideyid urged them.

 

One of them turned away quickly, though the other stole another glance at him.

 

“By the way, my father will pay you tomorrow,” the priest heard the boy say before the three of them disappeared down the corridor. Halideyid began answering something, but their voices died soon after.

 

When the young man walked back into the porch, Amandil was stretching his legs under the tree.

 

“Your mother said that you were not being paid,” he said, then winced at the accusing edge in his tone. He wanted to know his son, not argue with him.

 

Halideyid held his glance.

 

“She was not lying. What I did before, it was my duty. This I do for money.” He paused for a moment, as if to think, and his voice became lower. “Grandmother is not well, and medicines do not grow in Númenor. They have to be brought from the mainland, and it is expensive.”

 

“I can arrange...”

 

“I know that you are rich, but I am fully grown now, and I found no need to trouble you about things I can solve on my own.” There was pride in Halideyid´s tone as he said those words, and something about it made Amandil unpleasantly aware that the money he sent to that house was not his in the first place.

 

“I see”, he muttered. Then, he remembered a different subject. “Are you going to enter the Palace guards, then?”

 

“That would make Mother happy. And your associates would never have to send money again.” Halideyid knelt to pick the wooden swords that he and the boys had discarded on the floor after the practice session. “But Grandfather died when I was still young, and my birthright is not very... clear.”

 

“Why so?” Amandil inquired. He had a suspicion.

 

“Well...” Though his son had already picked up everything, he kept his back turned to him. He wandered around, pretending to be looking for something else. “People cannot help but wonder...”

 

“About me.” It wasn´t a question. “In spite of the unfortunate circumstances, my family is respectable enough. My associates can prove it for you.” Pharazôn would help, if he told him about it.

 

“I know”, Halideyid finally turned to face him. “The problem is, I do not know if they would appreciate having any associates proving anything near their quarters. Mother says you are a good swordsman. Could we..?”

 

“Oh. Of course.” Amandil was trying to make sense of what his son had said, and the request took him by surprise. He grabbed the sword just before it fell.

 

Halideyid seemed pleased at this. He fell into a stance in front of him, and Amandil did the same. His son´s height reminded him involuntarily of the times when he had faced much older boys, back when he was a boy himself.

 

“So... who are you?”

 

For a fraction of a second, Amandil was vaguely aware of having lowered his weapon on or two inches. Then, he felt a strong impact and saw it whirl away from him, crashing against the wall with a sharp noise. Pain exploded in his fingers and spread through his arm.

 

“Sorry”, Halideyid said. Amandil bit back a groan, cursing to himself.

 

If you let anyone take you by surprise in this way, you will lose track of what you are doing.

 

“So you are using your lessons against me, aren´t you? Very clever”, he grumbled, walking towards the place where his sword had fallen. As he was about to kneel to pick it up, however, he thought better about it. A wince crossed his features, hidden by the shadows.

 

“I just wanted to know. If there was something else.” Halideyid´s voice was laced with a new intent. “Twenty years ago, when I was born, the lord of Hyarnustar´s brother was still living in the capital. He is well known here for his... excesses with women, and for his love for the wine that his native lands export. Among the Guards, it is whispered that he has my eyes...”

 

“Are you doubting that I am your father?” Amandil shouted. “You think you are some nobleman´s bastard, and then he, what? Sent me to your mother in his place?”

 

“No, that would make no sense, but...”Halideyid sought his glance now, eagerly. “Maybe you could be his bastard.”

 

“Me?” Amandil was taken aback. What was the meaning of all those questions? Where did his son want to get to, interrogating him like that?

 

He could not know. He should not ask.

 

The eager look disappeared, replaced by an air of grave... was it disappointment?

 

“I am sorry. I should not have asked. I know there are reasons...”

 

“What on Earth do you know?” Amandil snapped. Then, he calmed himself, ashamed of his outburst.

 

How would he feel, if he had been in his son´s place? Growing without his father... sent money through intermediaries, gossiped about and rejected because of his strange features at the guild his own mother´s family had belonged to. He remembered Halideyid´s enigmatic words before the duel, and understood them better now. “That is why you said that the Guards would not appreciate meeting my associates. They actually think a councilman´s family is going to meddle in their affairs, don´t they? Everybody believes that stupid story, do they not?”

 

“Not everybody”, his son replied at once. “It is just a few whispers. I have never even told Mother about them, I wouldn´t want her to know.”

 

And maybe she does not want you to know, Amandil mused, growing more disheartened.

 

“Halideyid” he began, barely knowing what would come from his mouth next, “you must understand something. I did not leave willingly, and if it depended on me I... I would be here with you and your mother, and I wouldn´t have to hide or keep secrets from anyone.”

 

Was the young man understanding even a word of this? He sat on the porch, next to a withered cherry flower which had been blown that far by the wind. Distractedly, he picked it up and started turning it around his palm.

 

“Do not worry, Father, I know that too.” Halideyid said then, and the flower fell from his hand. “Do you remember when Mother and I travelled to the Forbidden Bay ten years ago, and we saw each other for the first time? You were going to greet us, but a priest scolded you and told you to stop chattering with the pilgrims and go back to your duties. I looked at your face then, and you did not look like a man who wanted to hide, but like a man who was forced to hide. With that knowledge, I could never have thought badly of you.”

 

Amandil looked down, at the flower that was now lying at his feet. For a long while, he spoke no word.

 

Then, he raised his head.

 

“I am no bastard. I am the true heir of my father and grandfather, Lord Valandil of Andúnië.”

 

If they had been holding swords at this very moment, he could have easily gained retribution for his son´s earlier ploy. Halideyid had never looked so shaken.

 

“Valandil? The prisoner of Sor? The....?”

 

“The traitor”, Amandil finished for him. “When I was a child, the King was going to have me killed. Instead, I was vowed to priesthood in Armenelos, and my line was meant to die with me. However, I met your mother, and you were conceived. I could not bear the thought of disposing of you, and so with the help of a powerful friend, I erected this wall of lies to protect you, your mother and myself. You are the last descendant of the Western lords, Halideyid.”

 

The young man had gone pale.

 

“But the Western line...everybody says that they are conspirers... that they are godless...”

 

“I was taken away from my parents when I was a child”,  Amandil replied, with a bitter grimace. “It has been more years than I can count, and still that is not how I remember them.” His son was about to open his mouth again, but he interrupted him before he could utter a word. He had not thought of it once in years, and still, all of a sudden, it seemed terribly important. “Nobody is godless, Halideyid. People... worship different gods, and that is why they hate each other.” He thought of his mother, telling him stories about Melkor´s evil deeds, and the verses about the Elves in Yehimelkor´s theogony. “The King poisoned my food and sent men to cut my throat in my sleep, but his grandson befriended me in spite of who I was. The High Priest of Melkor would have killed me and burned my corpse, but the man who will be his successor saved my life and took care of me. Hating people because of their family or their beliefs is more complicated than it seems.”

 

Halideyid frowned. He was still shaken, but he managed to nod to his father´s words.

 

“Anyway” he whispered, “I cannnot hate myself, can I?”

 

Wise beyond his years, Amandil thought, in a brief outburst of pride, wiser than I was back then.

 

“My position is dangerous. Even now, I feel that His Holiness sending me in the party to Middle-Earth, though it was a cherished wish of my childhood, might not be a simple coincidence. That is why it is better if you know who you are. And if there comes a day when my family is freed from their prison, and you tell them that you are my son...”

 

Halideyid´s eyes started widening in alarm at those words. Amandil noticed it, and fell silent.

 

“Then again, maybe you would prefer to forget what I just told you. It is not easy, and not likely to help you now.” Maybe he, Amandil, would have preferred to forget what he knew, too.

 

But Halideyid bowed low.

 

“Thank you for telling me.”

 

Amandil´s mind was in turmoil as he crossed the porch and walked aimlessly through the corridors of the house. He did not see Amalket waiting for him at the threshold, and almost crashed against her.

 

“Did something happen?” she asked, her eyes narrowing in worry as she perceived his agitation. Amandil held her hand.

 

“I...”

 

In his fevered state, it crossed his imagination to tell her, there and then, to expose himself to her judgement and wait for the verdict as he had done with his son. But then she tiptoed and pressed her lips against his, and that moment was gone.

 

“You are with me”, she moaned between kisses. “You can forget... your troubles... for a while.”

 

“I will”, he promised, encircling her waist with his hands and kissing her back.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The next morning, Amandil was one more of the bleary-eyed, barely awoken young men who gathered at the main gate of the Palace under Abdashtart´s frown of disapproval. All around them, the King´s soldiers were gathering among a flurry of standards and the clang of armour. Some were on foot and some on horseback, and they seemed quite pleased to see them, though the priests were not seasoned warriors and many would require protection. The blessings of the gods were a force to be reckoned on its own, and nobody in Númenor was as religious as the soldiers.

 

That´s why it would be useless for any Elf-loving lineage to conspire against the Sceptre, Amandil thought, remembering the conversation with his son last night. But then, his own father had told him clearly enough, back when he was a child. We must obey the King who holds the Sceptre in Armenelos.

 

They were no conspirers.

 

“Look who is here! If it´s not Hannishtart himself!”

 

Amandil´s musings were abruptly quenched by this shout. He looked up, not wanting to believe his ears. That voice...

 

Pharazôn jumped from his magnificent white horse, ignoring the protest of the man who held the reins, and tugged at Amandil´s. He was wearing an almost eye-blinding armour, all set in silver steel, and covered in a purple cape with gold embroideries.

 

Feeling how everybody´s eyes were set on him, Amandil dismounted. He did not know if he wanted to hug his friend or punch him in the nose. In the end, he showed enough reflexes to kneel and bow low.

 

“What are you doing?” the fool cried, almost as loud as before. “Stand up and look at me, I have been waiting for this moment! Since I read the names of the priests who were coming with us...”

 

A vein seemed about to break in Abdashtart´s forehead. As Pharazôn lifted Amandil, something in the latter´s eyes seemed to inform the prince that his old friend did not appreciate everyone hearing such a familiar address. Changing track, he whispered some orders to his escort not to let anyone approach them while they talked.

 

“Are you mad?” Amandil hissed as the space around them emptied. Eyes, however, still followed him wherever he looked. “What if the King hears about this? He will have me killed!”

 

“The King is just a sour old man these days. He will be so pleased when I earn renown in Middle-Earth that he will have to grant whatever I ask of him”, Pharazôn explained. “And I will ask that you are allowed to leave the Forbidden Bay and join the army.”

 

“If you ask anything of the sort, he will pretend to agree and send assassins that very night to finish me in my sleep,” Amandil growled. “I hope you earn renown, because then he might be too busy to hear about this. Please, treat me like any other priest.”

 

“Fine, fine”, Pharazôn looked barely ashamed. “My mother already told him you were a bad influence on me, back when she convinced him to send you away. Surely it will not look suspicious for me to greet an old bad influence I have not seen in years.”

 

He turned away, and called his escort back as if nothing had happened. Amandil watched him as he left, thoughtful. Back when they used to play together with wooden sticks, they had spoken of Middle-Earth plenty of times, of the monsters they would slay and the victorious wars they would lead there. Now that both of them were part of an expedition that would take them across the sea to the lands they had dreamed in their childhood, however, it felt like a strange coincidence -and, somehow, an ominous one.

 

Maybe he just thought too much.

 

“Let this be the last time you approach the son of the Prince of the South.” Abdashtart warned him between clenched teeth, as he struggled to mount back his grey mare.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The Arms of the Giant, the great harbour of Sor, was a mere two days by horse from Armenelos, but as there was infantry it took them four. It was relatively easy to avoid Pharazôn, as he was always surrounded by people, but this did not give Amandil as much relief as it might have. The truth was that he would have wanted to speak to him, a good long conversation to tell him about the things he had revealed to his son, and his mixed feelings about this expedition. Pharazôn had a way to assuage his worries, to make him feel like nothing in the world would hurt them. Listening to his words was sometimes like wine; they gave him courage without a reason. And courage, be it without a reason, was the best thing he could hope for right now.

 

They reached the coast on the morning of the third day, and looked upon the ancient harbour of Rómenna, ensconced in the narrow bay between the roots of the Orrostar and the Hyarrostar. It seemed a venerable place even from the distance, a city of ancient houses and empty stone harbours. Amandil remembered Yehimelkor teaching him that this had been the greatest port of Eastern Númenor once, where the first ships departed for Middle-Earth and came back loaded with all kinds of strange animals and plants. It had been there, too, that the first sacred objects of the cult of Melkor had arrived from the temples in the colonies, but now the old docks held naught but fishing boats, floating still in that windless place.

 

Next, the road followed the coastline for some thirty winding miles. To their right stood the great forests of Hyarrostar, under the authority of the governor of Sor, which furnished timber for the Númenorean fleet. To the left, the Eastern sea, bluer than the sea of the Forbidden Bay, came to die in barren coasts of rock and sand.

 

There was a high elevation in their way, whose sandy slopes proved difficult for the horses. Few trees had taken root there, and the East wind, which was becoming stronger as they approached the first peak of the Hyarrostar, brought volleys of sand upon their faces. Amandil´s face had almost sunk to the neck of his mount when they finally climbed it, though the sight under their feet made him look up at once.

 

The road came down on a city of tall houses set upon the slope. Proud red towers rose at every turn, each vying with the others for the prized view of the ships coming from and to the harbour. Beyond them, the Arms of the Giant, the enormous artificial harbour built by Ar-Adunakhôr, stretched for almost a mile into the sea, holding a thousand ships in its embrace.

 

Each arm ended in a pronounced curve, upon which stood two red statues of the Great God. One of them was clad in full armour and holding a sword; the other wore a crown and a sceptre. Statues of Melkor were blasphemous, Yehimelkor had always told him, but these were said to have the features of Ar-Adunakhôr himself.

 

Amandil remembered only two things from the city of his birth: the sea of red towers and one of the statues, the one with the sword, which he had been able to see whenever he tiptoed on Azzibal´s balcony. Still, as he rode past the steep and crowded streets, he could not help feeling that the place was familiar to him somehow. He looked up at the towers and balconies, wondering which of them belonged to Azzibal the associate of Magon.

 

“Make way, make way!” somebody was shouting at the head of the column. The Sorians were as used to soldiers riding through the streets in their way to the ships as they were to caravans of merchandise and riots. They left their business and talking circles and stood aside to let them pass, but they did it slowly, almost defiantly, as if they wanted to show them that they were not afraid.

 

The accommodation process was much slower this time than it had been in Armenelos, since the two hundred priests had been joined by a thousand soldiers and a prince. Amandil had the unpleasant feeling that they meant for him to be the last to get a bed, to make him pay for his insolence on the first morning of the trip. Finally, he was given a tiny room in an inn by the harbour, which smelled strongly of fish from the vendors that crowded the doorstep.

 

“Where are you going?” Eshmounazer asked him as he saw him going downstairs.

 

“To buy fish”, Amandil replied. Trudging past the vendors without as much as a second glance, he found himself in the street.

 

The harbour, despite its size, was so crowded that it was barely possible to walk through it. People sold, bought, begged, talked, shouted, laughed and pushed each other under the shadow of large merchant vessels. Amandil walked past all of them, until he reached an area full of timber barges which was less congested. His pace slowed, and he approached a man who sat behind a pile of coloured fabrics for sale.

 

“Do you know the house of Azzibal, a rich merchant of this city?” he asked. The seller nodded, barely surprised at the question.

 

“Aye, over there, third street to the left. You will know it by the ship mosaics on the front.”

 

“Thank you.” Amandil bowed courteously, and turned his steps in that direction. As he did so, he ran into a beggar who grabbed his cloak.

 

“A coin, good sir, just a tiny coin!” he said.  Amandil had barely stopped in his tracks, however, when the man gave a cry of surprise.

 

“You!”

 

“I do not know you.” Amandil grabbed his cloak and pulled firmly, but the man jumped to his feet and ran to fall on his knees before him, barring his escape. He wore tattered robes and a beard, but no matter how closely he looked at the features behind the tangles of dirty hair, Amandil was still at a loss.

 

“You have his face! The same face, I remember it well! You came to deliver us, as it was promised!” The beggar had tears on his eyes now, which gave Amandil a moment of pause. Wiping them with the back of his hand, the man laughed; half of his teeth were broken. “You are the Lord of Andúnië, our rightful lord! Praise the Baalim and Baal Shamem, the King of the skies!””

 

The young priest saw other beggars drawing closer to them, attracted by the commotion. His instinct yelled at him to escape, to run back into the shadows and the safety, but the man´s happy smile held him transfixed.

 

Those people... they were...

 

“Stand back, you Nimruzîrim dogs!” The man who sold cloth, whom Amandil had spoken to before, strode towards them at the head of a small group of vendors. They seemed very angry, and one of them was wielding a loose stone from the pavement.” You are not permitted to disturb our customers!”

 

The beggars retreated, but the one who had touched Amandil did not move. The priest did not even think; he stood before him and turned to face the men.

 

“He was not disturbing me!” he claimed, searching his pocket frantically. Feeling metal inside, he grabbed it and put it on the beggar´s hand, before even checking how much it was. The vendors stopped in their tracks.

 

“You should not encourage them!” the one with the stone scolded. Next to him, another spat on the ground. “Because of them, Rómenna´s gone to the dogs, and now they are trying to do the same here too, in the city of Ar-Adunakhôr! The nerve!”

 

“They look like simple beggars.” the cloth seller told him in a confidential tone. “But at night they crawl back into their holes, oh yes, where they perform evil rites and commit all sorts of crimes.”

 

For a moment, Amandil felt a forgotten fire burn in his chest, and he wanted to challenge those words. But then, he remembered that he was no lord of Andúnië, just a watched man who tried to survive by not turning anybody´s attention towards himself.

 

There was nothing he could do.

 

“They lost their lands, and I am sorry for them. Just let him go”, he pleaded. The man spat again, and the beggar exulted.

 

“Soon you will sit in your rightful seat, and all these people will be taken by doom and darkness!” he cried. Amandil winced, feeling the weight of everybody´s stares.

 

“Just leave now!” he hissed, then turned towards the others. “I think he´s not right in the head. He kept telling me about a lord who would come.”

 

“The traitor of Andúnië”, the cloth seller supplied. Amandil nodded, and walked past their looks of suspicion. As soon as he turned his back to them, he could hear whispers.

 

His thoughts grew darker and darker as he wandered through the streets, the beggar´s rotten smile, seared in his mind like a burning brand. The Nimruzîrim... the Elf-friends they called them, his family´s people who had once lived in the lands of Andustar. For generation after generation since Ar-Adunakhôr, they had lived in exile, and today he had seen what they had become.

 

You came to deliver us, as it was promised!

 

Amandil´s grin was bitter. He couldn´t deliver anyone, not even himself. He had no choice in the matter -did he?

 

Those people had been exiled, but they held to their beliefs even in the face of poverty, contempt and persecution. While he, Amandil of Andúnië, had been hiding under a cloak of lies and false names and forced devotion for gods that were not those of his fathers, just to cling to his miserable life. The thought made him cringe.

 

As he mulled over those discouraging comparisons, he found himself standing before a mosaic of grey and golden ships on a white wall. He stopped in front of them; night had almost fallen by now, and the street was empty.

 

He did not remember the walls, as he had never seen the outside of the house before. When he looked up, however, he saw the tower, and the balcony where he used to tiptoe to look at the sights.

 

There were latticed windows on the ground floor, and a low roof, covered in red tiles. If he risked it, he could climb to the first floor at least, and find a way to his parents from there. A recklessness that he had never felt since he was a child and practiced swordsmanship in secret was taking hold of him as he stood there. He would prove that he was no craven. He would brave all dangers, forget his cowardly prudence and find them, and he would tell them...

 

Tell them what?

 

Back then, he had been a child, and his parents had been proud of him. They had told him tales of his lineage, of their friendship with the Elves and their battles with Morgoth. He, Amandil, would one day be the next of the line, and he would worship the Valar and befriend the Elves as his father and grandfather before him. But instead of that, he had worshipped the gods they hated, prayed to them every day and tended to their fires and altars. Worse, he had loved a woman who wasn´t one of them, impregnated her with the next heir of the Andúnië line, and then assumed the identity of a merchant in order to marry her in secret. And when one of their own people had recognized him, he had pretended to be someone else and walked away.

 

Hating people for their family or their beliefs is more complicated than it seems. He had told his son that, and he had felt strongly about it. But what if it was just him, who had become so tainted that his soul was torn forever between two worlds? What if they perceived this, and shunned him?

 

“He is my external grandfather´s associate”, someone spoke. He turned, his turmoil too great to be shocked at Pharazôn´s presence next to him. The prince was wearing a cloak that covered his features, which he had probably used to give his escort the slip, but his manner and voice were unmistakable. “I can get you inside. I will be paying a visit and you will be my escort. What do you say?”

 

Amandil shook his head. He felt cold.

 

“But they are your parents!”

 

The birds were raising a great ruckus, as flocks of them fell upon their night refuges in the towers of the city. Amandil´s father had used to sit before the window, watching them for hours until darkness fell. The dark sterlings were his favourites, he had told his son once.

 

“No”, he said. He grabbed Pharazôn´s shoulder, and the prince couldn´t suppress a start as the fingers clawed into his flesh. “Do you know of any good places to drink?”

 

“What?”

 

“Take me there, then. I am thirsty. Please.”

 

Their eyes met, and those of his friend were positively brimming with questions. And still, for once in his life, Pharazôn had the good sense not to say a word as they walked past the empty street towards the docks.


Chapter End Notes

Note: Elendil has an Adûnaic name in Tolkien´s canon, Nimruzîr. Obviously I couldn´t use it here, as it´s a literal translation of his Quenya name, which basically would mean "Traitor".

Many thanks to Russandol for picking the nits.

Middle-Earth

Read Middle-Earth

Amandil did not fear the Sea.

It came as a surprise to him, as it had figured in his most ominous dreams of waves that swept him and boats that carried him away, but once he stood on the deck of the ship and the breeze touched his face his anxiety vanished. So did the headache that he had acquired after drinking himself under the table last night, and even the dark broodings it had failed to quench. The rocking movement of the waves as they crossed the mouth of the harbour felt like being cradled in the arms of a lover, or a mother. And then, as Melkor became gradually smaller in the distance and disappeared behind the horizon, the euphoria of freedom, of adventure took hold of him, and he couldn´t sit still.

First, he rushed to the back of the ship to look in the direction of Númenor until the Meneltarma, too, disappeared in the distance. Then, he was distracted by the evolutions of a school of dolphins, crossing the side of the ship in graceful formation. He blinked the sunlight away to venture into the inner quarters, where many of his companions sat with pale and dejected expressions. One of them threw up when he passed by, missing his foot by inches.

As he came out again, Amandil heard a sailor laughing and calling the priests landlubbers who had never even set foot in a fishing boat. Amandil had not, either, but he remembered his descent from a lineage of sailors and sea-lovers. That part of his blood, at least, had not been tainted.

Relishing in that thought, and drawing from it some of the comfort that he hadn´t found in the wine, he asked the captain if he could be of any use during the trip. His offer was received with a snort at first, and he was told not to get in the way. But after they were hoisting the main sail and he jumped in to help them with his own strength, he was at least allowed to remain around. A few days later, he was already sharing tales with the sailors, who, ignorant or indifferent to his identity and the mistrust of his superiors, did not have problems befriending him. Amandil had never felt so comfortable before, as even around his best friend he had to remain aware of everything that stood between them.

Pharazôn was ahead of him now, sailing in the main ship. Abdashtart, to Amandil´s great relief, was there as well, and the other priests were rarely seen on deck. Sometimes, he could even have closed his eyes and pretended that they didn´t exist, that he was sailing this ship on his own like the Andúnië lords of old. Pretending, however, was an idle game, which made him feel acutely aware of his own position, so he did not engage on it.

“Where are you from?” one of his new companions asked him one night, as they stood watch on deck repairing old sails. “You are a born sailor, you are. I bet you must be from Sor.”

Amandil nodded.

“You should stay here. A priest of the Lady of the Seas always comes handy on a ship.”

“And even more if he does not throw up”, another sailor chimed in as he passed by. Both laughed aloud, and Amandil was briefly tempted to join in.

“There is a lot of fighting in the mainland right now”, the man continued, cutting the hard thread with a magnificent row of teeth. “The barbarians are not just petty raiding tribes anymore. They have made an alliance with the king of Mordor, and filthy Orcs follow their trail wherever they strike. It has made them bold, it has. They have attacked trading settlements, caravans, even the crops! And in the bay of Gadir they have been having trouble too, I hear. Too close to Mordor, if you ask me.” He shook his head, fixing such a grave stare on Amandil that the priest felt it would be only courteous to stop darning and reciprocate. “Do not go there, lad. They say a lot of things about it, but the sea is less treacherous than the land is down there. Even if it plays a nasty trick on you, that death is a thousand times better than what those bastards would have in store for you. They have always hated us, called us usurpers, tyrants and thieves. And the Mordor folk... those hate all men. To them, we are only good for eating.” He chuckled with some trepidation at the thought. “Stay here with us.”

Amandil bit his lip, and resumed his work. The scenario that the man was laying in front of him sounded like the stories of First Age heroes his mother told him, when the land was full of dangers all around their ancestors. Back then, with the simple logic of a child, he had thought that the Orcs and the monsters were there just for the hero to kill them and prove his worth.

“That choice does not lie with me”, he explained. “The Cave rules my life, and the lives of all who are consecrated to the Goddess.”

“That is tough”, the sailor grumbled. “Well, good luck down there, then. You are no soldier, maybe you can stay out of trouble.”

“I am good with the sword”, Amandil retorted, with some pride.

“Are you? Well, I hope you are best with it than you are darning sails, because your life will depend on it!” For a while, the man´s eyes became lost in the darkness, as if he was checking something that only he could see beyond. Then, he shrugged. “We will be setting anchor by tomorrow. Umbar is not far.”

“Already?” Amandil had always heard that Middle-Earth was even farther from Númenor than the land of the Valar. As the latter was untouchable for mortals, he could hardly imagine something even more remote, but the trip had lasted a mere fifteen days.

The sailor laughed at his surprise.

“Well, the wind is not always that good. Sometimes it is against us, sometimes there are storms or there is calm. But you being priests of the Sea-Queen and all, she was really nice to us this time.”

Amandil made a sign of reverence for the Goddess, and observed the handiwork that lay upon his lap. For a moment, a petty part of him couldn´t help but wonder what was so bad about it.

“I just meant that you would have to be even better with the sword to face them Orcs and barbarians down there”, the man explained, as if he had guessed his thoughts. “No offense to your work.”

“Oh, I understand.” He laid it down, cutting the thread with a knife, and his lips curved in a smile. “Well, as you can see, I learn quickly.”

And the first thing I ever learned was that many people wanted to kill me, he thought, trying to look past the same darkness where his companion´s glance had been lost. Orcs and barbarians he could kill, at least -and that was why he had wanted to learn swordsmanship in the first place, had he not? To be able to face something head on, as he could not face the merchants who held him prisoner, the King, the High Priests or their gods.

He could not tell the sailors any of this, though.

“I suppose you will”, his companion admitted grudgingly, folding his part of the fabric over Amandil´s and looking for more.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The sailor had been right: the next morning, at dawn, the flight of seagulls over their heads heralded the proximity of the mainland. Such was the anticipation raised by the arrival to the Land Beyond the Sea that even the priests who had spent the whole trip complaining in the cabins rushed on deck to look. This angered the captain, who yelled that they were interfering with the ship´s manoeuvres and sent them downstairs again. Amandil, however, was suffered to stay, as he was making himself useful by helping to pull up the sails and rolling them in coils.

For the most part, he was content with standing on the deck, catching whatever was hurled in his direction. As the manouevre progressed, however, he felt bolder, and started climbing up the ropes. His movements were clumsy at first, though after a few attempts he managed to strike a pace. Higher and higher he climbed, trying not to look down, until he reached the men who were tying the knots.

“Coming to lend a hand, landlubber?” one of them laughed.

“He´s going to shit himself as soon as he looks down!” another shouted. Amandil looked at them: their hands were free, and they were busying themselves with the sails or even throwing coils of rope from one to another. He became aware of his own hands, grasping the cords for dear life, and wondered how he was supposed to break free without falling. His idea of climbing there began to seem more foolish by the minute.

“Land!” someone cried from afar.

Amandil forgot his fear for a moment, and stared ahead. His head turned violently, and for a moment he was really about to fall. He felt he was dangling over the waters, the ship deck nothing more than a small and narrow strip of wood that was pulled away from his feet with each lurch of the current.

Beyond it, the sea was full of ships, more ships than he had ever seen while he stood below. They were surrounded by white sails, tall masts, and tiny men who climbed on them just like he was doing. Before them, far ahead, sailed the biggest ship of all, the Lady´s Crown, where Pharazôn might be leaning on the railing for a glimpse of the land he had always wanted to see.

That land lay already in front of them, visible first for the sharp eyes of the lookouts, then for the rest of them as they abandoned their tasks for a moment to gaze ahead. It looked like a bare strip of rock, with none of the green he was used to see in Númenor. No houses, towers, or harbours were to be seen on the coastline, only cliffs and long, spidery arms of what looked like reefs, and he turned towards those next to him in some puzzlement. As he did so, he felt his head turn again.

“Where is Umbar?” he asked, afraid to sound ridiculous. The sailor closest to him laughed.

“There it is”, he said. Amandil frowned; his sight had always been good, but there was nothing like a city there. When others started to laugh, he wondered if they were making fun of him.

“Come on, let us get the job done! And if you cannot do it, landlubber, you should better get back on deck and leave us at it!”

Piqued by this, Amandil gathered his courage and freed one of his hands; then, slowly, he freed the other. As he did so, he pressed himself against the mast, his body rigid as cold stone. Then, he stretched two tense arms to pick up his end of the sail clumsily. His eyes were fixed on it; he couldn´t look anywhere else.

After he had folded it and tied it to the mast, there was much joking among the sailors at his difficulty to climb down as easily as he had climbed up. Amandil bore this with good enough grace, even when he almost collapsed after setting foot on deck and the laughter reached the lookout on the topmost mast. But the matter of the invisible Umbar still bothered him.

In the following hour, there was too much work to be done to investigate the approaching continent. After the ship was gliding over the waves at a sleepy pace, however, pulled by oars, he looked over the railing and realized that most of the ships that used to be ahead of them had suddenly disappeared. He ran towards the prow, and caught the first glimpse of the Gates.

It was a huge, gaping mouth of a cave, standing in the midst of the cliffs of the shore. Two of the ships were disappearing through it, as if swallowed by a sea-monster such as used to battle with the Lady for dominion of the Seas in the lore of the Cave. They entered side by side, and even then they had no problem fitting in.

“Helm!” the captain shouted. They were going to follow next: one of the ships behind them was positioning itself at their side, and they were steering towards the opposite direction. The mouth was growing closer, and larger, and Amandil saw an enormous inscription hewn in the rock right above.

The Bright King, who conquered darkness and superstition, settled this land

In the year 2280, fifty-nine years after his accession to the throne

His sixth generation descendant, the Lord of the West, made it prosperous and great

To the West, he built powerful walls that the fury of the Sea cannot breach

To the East, he built powerful walls where his enemies shatter and disperse

And then he looked at what he had taken for reefs, and realized that they were man-made, stone foundations that had been built to keep the deadly flux of the current away from the passage.

Powerful walls that the fury of the Sea cannot breach. Astonished, he forgot that he was supposed to help and stood there, drinking the sight with large, wide eyes.

The ship´s prow was eventually positioned at the mouth of the cave, and they were swallowed like the others. Amandil had expected darkness, but he found it was not so, for the walls had lights that cast an orange glow upon the palm of his hand. Those lights were reflected on the water, drawing undulating shapes on the ceiling. It was an ancient ceiling, maybe older than Men themselves, full of shards of weeping stone that threatened to break their masts. The ship, however, waded easily across the passage, and he realized that it was but an illusion: they were too high to be touched even by Númenorean ships.

Their journey through the shadows finished in a second mouth, as large as the first. An onslaught of sunlight came through it, and Amandil had to blink. He could not afford to be blinded, even for a second; he did not want to miss any of those marvels.

When his full eyesight was restored, he found that they were on a bay, similar to the one in Rómenna. The harbour and city of Umbar stood before them, holding almost as many ships as the Arms of Sor. Behind the tangle of masts and sails, a large wall loomed protectively over a city of terraces and low towerless houses, made with the sand-coloured stone he had seen in the Middle Earth cliffs

“To the East, he built powerful walls where his enemies shatter and disperse” he muttered to himself, remembering the words of the inscription. Someone caught his arm, and he turned around, still shaken.

“Are you going to help, or will you just stand there mooning over the landscape?” a rough voice asked. Still, in the captain´s eyes there was a spark of understanding that told Amandil that he could still remember going through the same experience, the first time he had seen this place.

Now, it was time for the ropes, which had to be uncoiled, and heavy anchors which had to be carried by eight strong men. The ship was brought to the dock where many others from their party were already anchored, and a crowd of men who walked under colourful parasols welcomed those who came down Pharazôn´s ship. Soldiers with red crests prowled around, keeping other people away from the place. Umbar was ruled by two magistrates, but since King Ar-Gimilzôr had given them voice in his Council one of them was usually in Númenor. The other was left in charge of the city and its domains, and judging by all the fuss he should be part of this distinguished group of merchant princes. The arrival of a real prince surely deserved his presence, even though he came as part of the army, and the Goddess would also claim her due.

When Amandil´s ship stood finally in a row with the others, the welcoming party had just dispersed, and the Umbarites were starting to fill the place again. Colourful dresses seemed to be restricted to the rich merchants in this place; most people were clad in white, and their clothes also covered their heads, to shield them from the sun. Only their faces were visible, and though he could detect Númenorean complexions he also saw darker skins, reddish and coarse, and even some that were black like the obsidian floors of the Palace.

“They have all kinds here. This part of the city is where the rich merchants and magistrates live, and those have plenty of slaves. You will see more Númenorean faces beyond the first wall, in the farms and the crops. Funny, right?”

Amandil turned towards his source of information; it was the same man who had shared his watch last night and warned him about the perils of the land. Though he had been about to step on the plank, he stopped in his tracks and seized the cue eagerly.

“First wall? Are there more?”

“There are two, one for the city and the harbour and the second for the fields. But since most soldiers are on that one, and they were bored out of their wits, a second city was built around them. The whores and the priests all moved there.” The sailor started to laugh, then sobered and made a respectful gesture with his head. “Sorry. Didn´t mean no offense.”

“None taken. You remember the Lady, her whores and her priests with enough respect when you are caught in a storm in the open sea”, Amandil replied coolly. Devotion springs chiefly from fear - two gods had already won him for their service in that manner. But they did not look so awe-inspiring when setting foot on solid ground, or walking under the mallorn trees in the peaceful Bay.

Which reminded him...

“I am told that the soldiers of Umbar worship no god but the Lord of Battles”, he said. “Ours is a goddess for sailors, and yet they are expected to welcome us here.”

The man laughed.

“A soldier and a sailor will believe in anything that can get them out of a tight spot alive.” He scratched his chin, his look meaningful. “Not to mention that war is not the only spot of trouble they can get into, you know. The watches are long, the service lasts years, and whoever of them has a wife will have even forgotten how she looked like.”

Amandil nodded, in cautious understanding. He had never forgotten Amalket in the Forbidden Bay, he told himself, and nor would he here.

“In that case they should have asked for priestesses, not for us. The Forbidden Bay is full of them”, he jested. The sailor laughed, too, and patted his shoulder.

“You have done well, Hannishtart. Even though you stood gawking all the way through the passage and almost shat your pants when you tried to climb that mast, it was good for a first time. I wish you could be a sailor, but wherever you go you´ll be fine. I am sure of that.”

“Thank you.” Amandil looked at the rugged face, at the dark eyes that could see things in the night. His throat itched for a moment, forcing him to swallow. “May you have a good journey home, and may the Lady of the Seas guide you.”

And with a last nod of farewell, he walked down the plank, and set his feet on the land of Middle-Earth.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Abdashtart, Pharazôn, and the people on their ship had been invited to the Magistrate´s house for a banquet, which meant that, for the next hours, Amandil was left to wander the streets of Umbar alone. Food was not hard to come by, he discovered shortly after venturing on land. Meats that smelled strongly of hot spice were sold at every turn, and as soon as he had a spit in one hand an old woman rushed to press a cup of tea into the other.

Umbar had narrower streets than the Númenorean cities, and they were also more crooked. All the houses had low ceilings, and the only point of reference, besides the harbour that stretched in parallel with most of the city, was the temple of Melkor, one of the Four Great Temples. Compared with the one in Armenelos, however, even with the one in Sor, it seemed small and unworthy of its title. It was built with the same sandy stone as the rest of the houses, and only a colourful dome, whose lacquered tiles gleamed in the midday sun, made it stand out from the rest.

As a priest of the Lady, Amandil could not visit that temple, nor could he wander far in any other direction for fear of getting lost. So instead he sat on the doorstep of one of the buildings in the harbour, and ate his food while watching the movements of ships under the walls of cliff and rock that hid them from the open sea. The first bite brought tears to his eyes; after the fifth, he had already drunk all his tea. The old woman pressed a second cup to his hand, smiling a toothless grin. He was running out of money, as the one he had given to the beggar in Sor had been his weightiest coin.

After a while, the Umbarians that walked past him started diverting his attention from the landscape. Amandil had never seen such strange looking people. Now and then, a group of men with long, braided beards and naked to the waist walked past him, their sun-battered skins and grave expressions lending them a solemn appearance. Black women carried jars of water balanced on their heads, and a rich merchant, who probably had left the banquet earlier because of some trouble with a ship, walked away in all his green, gold and blue-dyed finery, a trail of associates and slaves following his steps.

When one of his fellow priests arrived to fetch him, he was looking at two children who wrestled with a large green bird that growled like a dog.

“We leave“, the priest said, panting. “They want to reach the Second Wall with the last light, so hurry up.”

Amandil tore his eyes away from the fascinating creature, and followed him.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Pharazôn´s white horse had been brought all the way from Númenor, housed in the large ship with the rest of the crew. Amandil´s mare, however, had stayed in the Sorian fields with the rest, and he hadn´t missed her much until he was made to walk through all the territory of the City.  The Magistrate had offered horses to the party, but they were no more than a hundred and the bounty had not reached him.

At first, it was all he could do to keep the pace of the soldiers, who still had enough breath inside them to shout and point and make bawdy jokes as they made their way down the winding path that meandered between the fields. As the First Wall shrunk in the distance, however, and the Second was already a sandy strip on the horizon, he began to find his own pace.

“Whose fields are those?” he asked, surprised. The farm on their right was surrounded by a fence, so high as to be almost a wall, and there were soldiers standing at the entrance. Amandil saw the head of the column stop by them, but he couldn´t distinguish anything else.

“The King´s”, a soldier replied. “That´s where they grow the leaf that gives them visions. It can only be burned at the Palace and the Temples, anywhere else is treason.”

The visions... Amandil shuddered in spite of himself. He had never been allowed to burn the leaf, but they came to him all the same. And they weren´t good.

“And they need to guard it? Who would want to be made to see... who knows what foul things?”

“Oh, but they say you can see the future.” The soldier looked at the fence in some longing. “An useful skill, all the same.”

“Superstitions”, Amandil shrugged, not as nonchalantly as he would have expected. A thought had assailed him.

Once, he remembered, Yehimelkor had told him that the Lord of Armenelos sent him warnings. Before they parted, the priest had warned him that a great disaster was in store if they ever met again, and it hadn´t sounded like a mere threat. But Amandil had never seen him burn any leaves, either.

The other farms had no fences, and they could see the day´s work coming to an end as lines of people slowly trickled away from the fields. A group of women carrying baskets stared at them in quiet fear, standing at the side of the road.

“Aren’t barbarians good looking?” the soldier who had satisfied his curiosity earlier asked Amandil, in a conversational tone.

A red dusk was falling over the Territory as they came to the Second Wall at last. It was an impressive work of Númenorean architecture, even larger than the one they had left behind, and a second city basked in its shadow. This, however, was not a city of harbours and merchant houses, like the Umbar on the bay. It was a city of barracks and tents, wild looking and strange. Clumsily built temples stood next to whorehouses, and barbarian concubines herded naked children away from the horses´s hooves. Amandil felt, here for the first time, that Númenor was hundreds of miles away, at the other side of the Great Sea.

The commander, a burly man with a gleaming bald head, welcomed them in front of his post: a building made of wood which looked just like a bigger barrack than the others. There, they were told that suitable accomodations had been erected for them in the Western quarters, that the priests would have their temple built soon so they could start “bringing in the whores” -Abdashtart looked like someone who had chewed on a lemon-, and that the prince could stay in his own house if he wished.

“No, I want to live with the others”, Pharazôn said. The commander looked surprised in turn, but he did not argue.

Amandil was directed to a “provisional accomodation” that he shared with nine other priests. There were no beds, but there was straw and blankets for everybody and he helped himself to a large heap. He was feeling tired, and in need of a good washing. The soldier who had showed them in had told them there was a washing house not far away, with buckets and soap and everything they required.

That this place was used more as a washing house for clothes than people became apparent to Amandil as he found his way among lines of shirts, blankets and even more intimate clothing, of the kind that no Númenorean would ever display in public. Nobody was inside at the moment, but there was no way to bar the door, and he wondered if he was supposed to show his naked body to whoever, man or woman, happened to pass by. He did not like the idea.

Leaving that dilemma for later, he sought until he found a place where tubs could be heated for washing, but saw no indice of firewood. Thanks to his years with Yehimelkor in the Temple of Armenelos, however, Amandil had become quite used to cold water. He washed his face, then his hands and his neck, and finally, after looking through the door several times to check that nobody was coming, he took his clothes away and poured water over his body. Then, he rubbed the skin quickly, and put them back again.

After he was done, Amandil felt more relaxed than he had been in weeks. Each of his arms and legs seemed loaded with a heavy weight, and he sat on the logs of the makeshift porch. A warm night breeze was blowing, drying his face and hair.

The feeling was so pleasant that he closed his eyes for a moment. Far in the distance, there was a sound of laughter, and he could hear the notes of a song. Drops of water trickled down his fingers, and he wiped them against the wood.

Water.

It was coursing around him, the current growing swifter and higher with a deafening roar. He was sitting on a boat, but it was too small to resist the pull, and the waves tossed it around like a child´s toy. And then he felt it... the sea was retreating, and he with it, and he needed to escape but there was nothing he could do except sit there, helpless, waiting for the Wave to engulf him.

Suddenly an acrid, terrifying smell reached Amandil´s nostrils. He looked back, and screamed. The Wave was made of blood, the blood of thousands.

“Will you shut up?”

The pull became focused, warmer and harder as he shook against it. Someone was cursing as he struggled, and he knew that voice. It made him remember that it was not real; none of it was real, the sea, the boat, the Wave...

His hands were dripping with blood.  A face, covered in blood appeared before his eyes, and he was about to scream again.

“Stop it! The whole camp is going to hear you!”

“Blood...” he mumbled, trembling. Pharazôn nodded. 

“Yes, that is right.”

Slowly, Amandil became aware of his surroundings. He was lying on the porch of the washing house, and his hair was still humid. He was shivering, and his head hurt.

Pharazôn, meanwhile, sat back on his feet, staring at him. Blood covered not only his face, but his clothes, hair and body. It was forming a puddle on the logs where they both sat, and Amandil felt an urge to avert his glance to quench a sinking feeling of horror. He would have believed it a hallucination, a figment of his dream that refused to leave even after he opened his eyes, for his friend did not look hurt... but the smell was too strong, too real.

“You were screaming and thrashing like someone who had been burning those leaves in the field beyond”, Pharazôn said. He looked about to ask something else, but Amandil cut him before he had the chance.

“What is that blood?”

“Bull”, the prince explained. “There is a ritual... the soldiers do it. You have to lie inside a small cave, under a hole, and then they slaughter a bull on top of you. “Pride crept into his voice. “I belong to the Lord of Battles now.”

Amandil was appalled.

“You let them... you let them shower you in some animal´s filth?” Reality was coming back, and as everything settled into its proper place the story seemed even more disturbing. “While... lying inside a hole?”

“They said they have rarely seen anyone who took it so bravely”, Pharazôn boasted. “The Lord of Battles must be really pleased.”

Amandil could not help thinking of Yehimelkor in Armenelos, of what choice words he would have awarded the very idea of that ritual... and of a Lord of Battles. Impious and bloody superstitions that turn men into beasts and dishonour the god´s name.

Then, he looked at Pharazôn. He did not need to undergo any of this, as the royal family had been under Melkor´s protection for centuries. No more than he needed to mix with the soldiers or sleep in their beds, or even be there. But there he was, and he looked radiant under all the bull´s gore, like someone who had accomplished a great feat. Amandil could not help but feel dizzy at the gulf that stood between them, making them seem more different than ever.

“Bathing in bull´s blood. Why not throwing yourself off a cliff?” he grumbled, struggling to his feet. “You believe in all those things, don´t you? No matter who says them.”

“And what do you believe in?”

Amandil froze, wincing at the challenge. Pharazôn knew everything about his family, and their beliefs as seen by the King and his courtiers, but he had rarely said a word on the subject before -or asked. Amandil had assumed that his successive priesthoods in the service of the Númenórean gods had convinced his friend that he had renounced the ways of his wicked ancestors.

What did he believe in? After years of thinking that the answer to this question should be kept  secret from others, he had realized that he was also keeping it secret from himself. His mind eluded the thought, and there was pain in the struggle.

He shook his head, deflecting the barb of the question.

“I believe this is stupid. And why are you here, anyway? Shouldn’t’t you be celebrating with your new friends?”

Pharazôn took the cue.

“I came to wash myself.” He muttered something about not wanting Lord Belbazer, chief of his escort, to see him like this, and turned away to grab a bucket. Then, he realized it was cold, and hissed a curse.

“Is there a way of heating this?”

“No. Sorry”, Amandil replied with his best smile. The stars were beginning to disappear from the sky, had he been sleeping for so long? “But if you withstood the holy rain of blood a drop or two of cold water will seem but a trifle to you.”

“Damn you.”

As Amandil stepped on the humid ground, he could hear a loud splash, followed by more curses. Feeling better than minutes before, he wrapped his cloak tightly over his shoulders, and sped through the sleeping city of wood.

With some luck, nobody would have noticed his absence.

“Hannishtart?” Startled, he looked up. He hadn´t seen Eshmounazer at all.

“Hello.” The young man looked anxious; looking at his face under the dim light gave Amandil pause. “What´s the matter?”

“The Commander has summoned you. And me, too. I... wonder what he could want from us.”

Nothing good, Amandil thought, the beginnings of his good mood quenched under a dark premonition.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Commander was waiting for them in the main post. He was sitting in front of a low tea table with their superior Abdashtart, who was dressed as if for travel. Unlike what had seemed to Amandil on the previous day, he wasn´t bald, but his hair had receded considerably, leaving him with a long and brilliant forehead.

“Oh, here they are”, Abdashtart pointed out. Both men turned towards them, and Amandil bowed low.

“There is a trading post about a hundred miles away from here. It´s there that the merchant caravans strike deals with the barbarians from Harad”, the officer´s deep voice informed them. “Lord Abdashtart here is going to consecrate a temple to the Lady of the Forbidden Bay, and you have been chosen to accompany him.”

Amandil felt Eshmounazer shift uncomfortably at this news. From what the young priest had told him that night on the Cave, he guessed that the idea of venturing into barbarian territory wasn´t much to his liking.

He, to an extent, shared the feeling himself. He wasn´t afraid of fighting, but something else was bothering him. If he had to lay a finger on the reason, however, it would slip away like the Wave after he woke up shivering.

Bowing again, he willed his voice not to show any emotion.

“I am honoured, my lord.”

“You will be given arms, just in case. I will send a party of soldiers with you, but the area is getting... eventful. I trust you know how to fight.”

“I do”, Amandil replied, the firmness in his tone more sincere this time. Eshmounazer mumbled something after him.

“Then follow me.” Abdashtart stood up, setting the cup aside, and motioned to them. Both priests obeyed in silence, each of them lost in his own thoughts.

They were brought to the armoury first, where each could choose the weapons that they wanted. Amandil found himself a good sword without rust, and tried its balance before tying the scabbard to his waist. He also found two knives, which he appropriated for good measure, and a heavy chainmail whose weight was so unfamiliar to him that he was about to leave it behind. They would be riding horses, however – and the feeling that he might need it was too nagging to ignore.

Next, they were given food to eat and spare, and were directed towards the stables, where they were offered “the best steeds that hadn´t been claimed by anyone else”, as the horse master informed them in a somewhat sardonic tone. Amandil´s didn´t kick or bite, and even if it was a bit old he took it as an improvement. He grabbed it by the reins and took it to the main square -an empty patch of earth in front of the commander´s post- where Abdashtart was waiting for them with his own horse and an escort of ten soldiers.

Dawn was already breaking behind the Second Wall, lending the sky the colour of pale red wine. Under its light, the camp was stirring awake, and he could hear the clang of armour of the soldiers on duty, the cries of children and the morning call of the roosters. He gathered his reins, willing himself to discard his apprehensions.

“Wait! Hey, wait!”

The soldier at the head of the column made his horse stop sharply, and everybody followed his example. Eshmounazer, who was not paying attention, crashed against the man before him, and almost fell off.

That voice...

Hardly daring to believe his ears, Amandil saw a white horse galloping towards them like a vision, mounted by a man in a purple cloak and an armour of silver steel and gold. He came to a halt right before Abdashtart, and the horse reared back with an impatient kick.

“I am coming with you.”

The priest´s face went pale.

The Heart of Darkness, Part I

Read The Heart of Darkness, Part I

Abdashtart was not pleased.

Amandil could feel dismay radiating through his features as Pharazôn galloped towards the column and fell in between them. For a moment, he even thought he saw him exchange glances with the leader of the soldiers, but it was just a brief flicker of a second and he could not tell whether he had imagined it.

As they came to the gate, however, and the chief guard finished examining the official paper that was handed to him, he set a heavy frown on the richly attired rider.

“The prince should not be leaving.”

Abdashtart nodded, and was about to open his mouth, but Pharazôn spoke first.

“I did not come all the way from Armenelos to stay cooped in a camp while other people fight and risk themselves.”

The priest insisted.

“That is a noble sentiment, my lord, but...”

“We are just going to a trading post”, Amandil intervened, wondering why he felt so daring. His friend´s presence had disquieted his superior for some reason, and that had given him a new courage. “It must be safe enough, or the merchants would not be able to conduct their business...”

“Nobody asked for your opinion”, Abdashtart dismissed him with a long, cold stare. Beside him, Eshmounazer was looking agitated again.

Pharazôn, oblivious to them, answered the chief guard´s frown with his own.

“Open that door. I am going with them.”

The man looked reluctant, but there was nothing he could do. He gave the orders, and turned away muttering something between his teeth.

As they crossed the Second Wall of Umbar, Pharazôn manoeuvred his horse to ride beside Amandil´s.

“You were trying to sneak away and earn all the glory first, were you not?” he accused. Amandil should have glared at him for forgetting that he should keep a distance, but he found that he couldn´t. He felt lightheaded.

“Sorry. But, as you see, our superior does not think that consecrating a temple ground in a trade settlement is glorious enough for the Lord of Battles´s Chosen One”, he muttered, before tugging at the reins to fall prudently behind. The disgruntled Abdashtart took his place at once, and though the clatter of hooves prevented him from hearing their conversation, he guessed that the priest was trying to convince Pharazôn to go back and think of his responsibilities.

Around them, the landscape provided a sharp contrast to the green fields and farmlands they had seen at the other side of the wall. This was hard land, where a few trees with gnarled trunks and small, hard leaves grew sparsely over large extensions of scorched-looking grass. The sun was rising over the horizon, and just two hours after dawn its rays were already making them sweat under their mail. It would get much worse, one of the soldiers warned them with a darkly satisfied grin.

And it did. By midday, Amandil was boiling, and he could barely see in front of him from the sweat that covered his eyes. Abdashtart´s face was as red as a tomato, while Eshmounazer began swaying alarmingly on his mount. Pharazôn had taken away his cloak and put it over his head the way he had seen the natives in Umbar do, but it did not seem to work because he tore it away after a while.

“How can they breathe like that?” he asked angrily. One of the soldiers, who seemed to be taking the onslaught of heat much better than any of them, laughed.

“They do not. They do not need to.”

“And they do not sweat, either”, another chimed in. “That is why they only drink one drop of water a day.”

“Speaking of water, who has any?”

The soldier who rode in the back produced a waterskin from his bag, and passed it over. Amandil had not been complaining, but he was so grateful at the liquid that he almost choked with it.

“Easy, easy!” They were all laughing now, while Amandil coughed and wiped his eyes. As he handed it to Eshmounazer -who was too dizzy to notice until it was shaken under his nose- something in the distance attracted his attention. It looked like a black stain, set against the horizon.

“What is that?” he asked. His voice came hoarse, and barely recognizable.

“That was a barbarian town. That is what they call a few tents propped on sticks, you see”, the soldier with the waterskin explained. “It was burned in the wars thirty-five years ago.”

“That was quite a spot of trouble.” The leader, who seemed old enough to be a veteran, knitted his brow in a grim frown. “And they were not allied with the Orcs yet.”

“I remember about that!” Pharazôn exclaimed. “When I was a child, their leaders were brought to Númenor. I was there, and it was the first time I saw a barbarian!”

“Why did they fight?” Amandil was curious to know what would make such a wretched people stand against the might of Númenor. Again, it was the veteran who answered.

“I do not know. I just know why we fought them, and that was because they started ambushing caravans and killing Númenoreans. They put their heads on spikes, and threw them over the wall. I saw one with the eyes ripped away.” Eshmounazer, who had been revived by the water, let go of a smothered groan. “Now we do not allow their towns to be so close to Umbar anymore.”

“Are you sure... are you sure those were not Orcs?” In all the tales that Amandil had heard, only dark creatures would do such things. But the veteran laughed, more unpleasantly than ever.

“Men can be worse than Orcs.”

That night they camped at the side of the road, under a misshapen tree. The soldiers established the watches, and one of them warned Amandil not to take his mail away.

“All sorts of creatures roam the place at night. You would not want to lower your guard against them”, he declared, with a solemn look. The young priest nodded, though now he could feel the metal freezing against his skin as much as it had boiled during the day.

It was difficult to sleep like this, lying in mail over the hard earth while the night chill dried his sweat and wrung shivers from his limbs. Amandil tossed and turned, uncomfortableness alternating with violent dreams that he could not remember as soon as he opened his eyes to roll to the other side.

One of those times, he almost didn´t know if awake or asleep, he saw a figure standing under the moonlight. It was Abdashtart, wrapped in his cloak, as blue as the Lady´s mantle. He was pacing nervously, as if trying to shake away a persistent chill. Amandil tried to look at the priest’s face, but when he drew closer, instinct made him close his eyes and lie still.

His temples were throbbing with a growing headache as the light of dawn fell on them. He could see nobody at first; then he heard voices coming from the distance and struggled up. He rubbed his forehead, trying to ride the pain, and stood on his feet.

“What is the matter?” he asked Eshmounazer, who was trying to catch bits of Abdashtart and the soldiers’ muttered conversation while he rolled his cloak. The young man´s hands froze.

“Something was heard tonight”, he whispered. “I... think they are worried that we may be followed.”

“Followed? By whom?”

Eshmounazer gave him an ominous look.

“Just keep your sword close then, priest.” Pharazôn approached them; apparently he also felt excluded from the discussion. His purple cloak was wrinkled and full of dust. “Orcs will not bother us by daylight, but maybe those eye-gouging natives will pay us a visit.”

“And you think bull gore will protect you.” It was useless to pretend in front of Eshmounazer, who was having trouble enough digesting all these alarming news.

Pharazôn patted the scabbard that hung from his waist.

“I will protect myself”, he declared - maybe a little too confidently for Amandil´s liking. At that moment, the leader of the soldiers broke from the group and approached them. Abdashtart came behind him.

“Maybe you should think of going back, my lord”, he told Pharazôn bluntly. The prince withstood his glance with ease.

“No.”

“If you stay, and something happens...”

“If I go, how many of your soldiers would have to go with me? Our numbers would be halved, and that would serve nobody except our enemies. It is better if we stick together.”

The older man stared at him -and so, several steps behind and pretending to be busy with his things, did Amandil. Pharazôn did not sound confrontational; he also did not sound boasting or anything but calm and reasonable. This was so unlike him that Amandil could not help feeling impressed.

So, apparently, did the soldier.

“Very well. I was telling the others that I had half a mind to send Lord Abdashtart with you, and leave the consecration of the temple to one of the young priests. But it is true our numbers cannot bear much stretching...”

“The... ah, the prince is right”, Abdashtart nodded. “His wisdom must come from his noble blood. And in any case, the consecrating should be done by a senior priest.”

Abdashtart was doing his best to keep his dignity, but Amandil could perceive that he would have wanted to go back with Pharazôn. In the midst of the tension, his lips curved in a brief grin.

“Then it is decided. Now grab something to eat and let us go before the sun falls on us!”

It was a curious sort of remark, but it applied perfectly to the sun of Umbar, which did not offer them any respite that day either. The road soon started meandering upwards, slowing their advance, and two of the soldiers kept falling back continuously, though it didn´t seem to Amandil that anyone could hide in such a dreary place.

An hour after midday, they reached the foot of a mountain pass. That land had no mountains like those in Númenor, with green slopes and trees, but ones entirely made of ragged, sand-coloured rock. A road had been excavated there too, wide enough for the caravans that came from the Númenórean city.

“Will it get much higher?” Eshmounazer asked, peering nervously at the widening ravine. It had been excavated by a river which might have been great once, but now it didn´t even deserve the name of stream. Amandil barely heard the current as it ran beneath them.

“Do not look down, young man”, a soldier warned. Their voices had an eerie echo. “You may get mountain sickness and fall.”

Eshmounazer jerked away abruptly, and someone chuckled. Still, Amandil noticed that nobody laughed as openly as the previous day. He looked up, at the crags of bare rock that hung above their heads like a silent threat. The idea of enemy eyes following their steps seemed much more believable here.

“I hope we do not have to spend the night in this cursed ravine”, someone muttered, as the shadows started to fall towards the East. One of the other soldiers started making an answer, when a terrible noise echoed through the pass, making their hairs stand on end. It did not sound human...

“A mountain goat”, the leader explained. Amandil´s grip on the reins relaxed, and he felt his chest throb with suppressed laughter.

Darkness had already fallen by the time they came to the other side. It was a sharp descent, and Amandil found himself praying that the horses´ eyesight was better than his own, for he had great difficulty seeing the path under their feet. When they finally left it, it seemed to him as if the ground had sprung up to meet them.

They were now at the foot of a large cliff, and the leader of the soldiers did not seem happy at the prospect of halting the march there. He tried to make the group advance under the moonlight, but the bulk of the mountain stood between it and them, allowing only a dim radiance to reach their side. One of the horses, the one that carried the sacred objects of the Goddess, tripped over a rock, causing them to rattle and fall from the bag.

In the end, Amandil did not know if out of common sense or superstition, he gave up and ordered them to make camp. Eshmounazer and him were not exempted from the watches that night, and the veteran even accepted Pharazôn´s offer to help. He seemed quite on edge as he gave them the instructions, repeating that any sound, no matter how inoffensive it seemed to them, should be immediately reported, and everybody roused. Each should be holding their watch far away from the others, so all sides of the camp would be equally covered and they would not fall to the temptation of distracting their companions. Amandil found himself sitting right under the cliff, pressing the sword hilt to his chest and feeling like something was bound to happen.

“There!” someone cried, when the moon was already about to rise from the crags. Amandil stood up as if impelled by a resort, sword in hand, and he heard the clang of metal all around him.

It was Eshmounazer. He stood twenty feet away from him, his sword-hand frozen in mid-wave, and staring in dazed astonishment at something that stood before him. Amandil and the others arrived just in time to see a hare bolt off in fright.

“I...” He looked down. “I am sorry... I thought...”

One of the soldiers, the same who had teased him earlier the day about the cliff, clapped his shoulder.

“You heard a sound and reported it. You did well.”

Slowly, the camp seemed to go back to normal. The sentries walked back to their posts, and those who were sleeping huddled under their cloaks again.

Amandil laid the sword over his crossed legs, and looked up with a frown. If Orcs were like he had imagined them, they would raise such a ruckus coming down the cliff that even a sleeping man would hear it. In this strange land, however, not much was like he had imagined it. Maybe anything was possible... maybe Orcs were as stealthy as the natives, and the natives were as cruel as the Orcs...

He fixed his stare so hard, that soon he began to see undulating shapes that faded as soon as he blinked. Weariness was starting to prey on him, and he fought it by standing up and forcing his aching legs to walk in circles. Now and then, he turned sharply towards the side of the cliff, but he saw nothing there.

When someone approached him from behind, his sword was out if its sheath before he realized it was one of his companions.

“It is my turn now. You try to rest for a while, tomorrow you will need it”, the man grumbled, shaking his head to banish the last traces of sleep away. Amandil nodded gravely, and was about to leave when, suddenly, he heard a scream.

It had come from within the camp. Everybody was awake, as the change of guard had just taken place, and there was considerable confusion as they turned towards the campfire. The flickering glow of the flames fell upon a feverish face.

“Lord Abdashtart?” Confused, Eshmounazer approached him, but the priest jerked back. The scream had come from his lips, which were now trembling and muttering things that nobody could make out clearly. His eyes had a deranged look.

“Lord Abdashtart, what...?”

“Go back!” he shouted, in a shrill voice that did not seem to belong to Amandil´s dignified superior. “She is furious. She will kill us! You must go back now!”

“Who is...?” The eyes of the leader fell upon the bag of the sacred objects, which had been carefully wrapped again by Eshmounazer after the earlier mishap. He fell silent, and Amandil could perceive fear gathering in the depths of the seasoned soldier´s eyes.

“We are going to die!” Abdashtart continued, oblivious to Eshmounazer and the soldiers who told him to calm down. “We are all going to die!”

“You must have had a dream. Yes, that’s it.” The leader walked towards the priest, nodding as if to himself. “A dream, not...”

As he watched him come nearer, Amandil experienced something terrible, more terrible than all his visions and dreams. It was a dark premonition, that took his breath away like a boulder of rock which had collided against his chest. For a moment, he could do nothing but reel from the impact. Then, as he saw the black spear hanging from the man´s neck, his hand went to his sword, and he rose to meet the enemy with a deep cry.

Behind him, he heard the others struggle with their shock and grab their weapons, but he was a step ahead of them. Over and over again, he thrust and parried, and his sword cut through armour and flesh. A horrible face twisted in agony under the moonlight, and he looked at it in dark fascination, so this was what an Orc looked like.

Many of the people who had taught him moves in Númenor had warned him that killing was different from pretending; that he needed great presence of mind and nerves of steel to be able to do it. But this was completely different. He was standing at the edge of life and death, and everything he had ever learned came to him as a second nature. Behind him, Abdashtart´s screams stopped abruptly.

One of the Orcs charged at him with an axe; Amandil stepped aside and went for his raised arm, which he severed with his blade. The Orc fell to the ground with a grating shriek, and a jet of dark blood stained his clothes. He felt no nausea, no revulsion; it felt unreal, like one of his violent dreams that he couldn´t remember afterwards. Still, this gave him a brief respite, and he took the chance to look around him. The foul creatures of Mordor were everywhere, and the ground was full of bodies.

Fear crept inside him, fraying his battle frenzy at the edges. Was this how he was meant to die, a world away from his island and his heritage? And Pharazôn... where was he?

One of the creatures spoke words, in a language that he could not understand. Still, he could see that he was gesturing towards him. At least three Orcs advanced towards his location.

Desperately, he unsheathed his dagger with his left hand, and wielded both blades. His son Halideyid´s lesson about distracting enemies by preying on their insecurities came now to his mind with a flourish of irony. He wanted to laugh at the uselessness of it all -Orcs had no insecurities. They had been born and bred with one single purpose, to kill.

I am glad you are not here, he thought, wondering how long it would take for Halideyid and Amalket to hear of his death. But of course, you were not meant to be here. You were meant to live.

The Orcs began spreading, intending to surround him. If he let them achieve their manoeuvre, he was dead, he realized with the certainty of a much more experienced warrior. Taking breath and steeling himself against the fear that threatened to overwhelm him, he charged.

His sword sank into the Orc that stood to the right, who growled in shock at the unexpected attack. The other two threw themselves on him, and he barely had the time to think before he stabbed one in the face with his dagger. The scream was terrible as the creature clawed at it blindly, trying to staunch the flow of blood and the pain, but it tripped on its comrade´s body and fell over it. Amandil groaned; his sword was trapped under them, and the third Orc was upon him.

“Die!” it growled in the tongue of Men. Amandil threw himself on the ground, just in time before the powerful sweep of the creature´s axe found his neck. From that position, he kicked at the legs, trying to make it trip and lose its advantage. The move did not work, and he stretched the dagger in front of him, knowing that it would be useless to stop the next attack. If only he had the time to struggle to his feet... or even draw closer, so he could stab at the leg...

All of a sudden, the Orc stopped, monstruous features contorted by something other than triumph. A blade protruded from its chest, cutting even through the mouldy armour plate. Amandil tried to see who had saved him, but this brief distraction proved fatal, as the body fell heavily upon him.

Darkness came upon him then, and he saw nothing else.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The throbbing in the side of his head was worse than ever. It kept intruding in his dreams, where a woman with honey-coloured eyes and a tall young man welcomed him home. He tried to ride the pain, to make it disappear and return to them, but it would not let go, prodding him slowly but surely towards awakening.

He heard grisly voices, addressing someone in broken Adûnaic. Orcs. The full horror of that night came upon him for the first time, as he relived their monstruous faces and the horrifying frenzy of battle. It threatened to overpower him, but as he started shaking in his bonds -his hands had been tied to his back-, a new voice gave him pause.

“Of course he is someone important. He is my kinsman!”

Pharazôn! He was alive...

“He has no shiny things on him!” the Orc barked accusingly. “Just like others!”

“That is because he´s a priest “, the prince replied without skipping a beat. “But of course, you would be too stupid to know what that means, would you?”

Amandil heard the sound of an impact, accompanied by a groan, and winced. Pharazôn had never learned when to keep his mouth shut.

At least, Amandil thought, his friend seemed to have given the creatures something to think about. He opened his eyes slightly, and saw that they were inside a cave. He and Pharazôn were lying side by side, but their captors had retreated to the vicinity of a fire, where they kept talking in that raspy language of theirs while examining the weapons, mail shirts and objects they had looted.

“So you are awake.” The whisper tickled his ear. He tried to nod as discreetly as he could, but nobody was paying attention to them anymore.

“The others?” he asked. Pharazôn´s hair was matted with dried blood, and his face was dirty. One of his eyes was swollen; the Orc must have hit him there.

“Dead.” he replied. Amandil was shocked.

All?” He thought of that veteran soldier, survivor of many battles. He thought of Eshmounazer, brought this far against his will.

“They are going to deliver us to some “man chief”. I suppose he is from that folk which is so fond of playing ball with Númenórean heads, after ripping off their eyes.”

That did not sound reassuring, indeed. Amandil felt his bonds, trying to gauge how strong and tight they were.

“They know how to make knots, if not much else. But you could try tricking that one into setting you free.” Pharazôn´s chin pointed towards an especially gruesome Orc that was carrying sticks to fuel the fire. It had only one eye, and no nose. “I think it may be female.”

Amandil did not laugh.

“How can you make jokes? Aren’t you afraid?”

Aren´t you afraid? Someone had asked him that in the Forbidden Bay, in another world. There had been need in his voice, a need that Amandil had never acknowledged. And now, he was dead.

Not if I have my sword, he had answered back then, arrogantly. Now he did not even have a knife, and his hands were tied.

“How can I be afraid of them? They are vermin on two legs!”

He was either a fool, Amandil thought, or the bravest man in Númenor. Probably the first, but he still retained that ability to give him heart when no reasonable words could.

The conversation between the Orcs had turned into an argument, or so it seemed by the way they raised their voices and one of them threw another against the wall. Amandil struggled harder.

“That is not the way”, Pharazôn told him. “I have something on me that can cut it, they did not take it off. It is hanging on a chain, but I can open it with my teeth. Then, you will pick it up with your fingers and try to cut my bonds. After I am free, I will free you. Agreed?”

Amandil nodded. He thought how difficult it would be to pull all those manouevres without giving themselves away, but at least it was a plan.

“Agreed”, he replied, and stretched his neck a little to stand watch on his captors while his friend busied himself with the chain. For now, they seemed too absorbed in whatever they were doing to notice.

It took Pharazôn quite a long while to find the clasp, and even longer to work how to open it. As it finally flew open with a click, a glowing object slid over his chest. Amandil saw it was a jewel... a large sea-green stone, wrought in a silver engraving of magnificent beauty.

“There are no cutting edges in this!” he hissed.

“There is. Chip on the lower edge, from the battle earlier. It stopped a blow that could have...” For a moment, he looked pensive, even as he lowered himself on his left flank so the jewel would slide to Amandil´s side. “It does seem to be an amulet of some sort.”

“Quiet out there!” one of the Orcs growled in their direction. Amandil froze, afraid that they would be coming anytime now, see the jewel and guess their intentions. But after a moment, the Orc just turned away, thumping another who had seized the chance to steal something from his bag of spoils.  The ensuing struggle almost became a full-fledged fight, with the other Orcs urging them on with vicious shouts, until the biggest of the bunch -probably the leader- jumped in the middle and pulled them apart. One of them fell to the ground, and the big Orc kicked him on the gut.

“What are you doing?” Pharazôn hissed. Suddenly, Amandil realized that he had been watching the creatures in revolted fascination instead of focusing on the task at hand. He crawled on the ground, stretching his arms as much as the ropes allowed him. The jewel was still out of his reach, and he clenched his teeth.

“Again”, he grunted, sliding a bit further under the impulse of his feet on the cave floor. This time, he could reach the jewel. Pharazôn whispered the instructions until his fingers finally touched the hard edge, and closed upon it. The chipped part was small, but it would have to do.

Just as he was having that thought, he felt a sharp pain, and something wet trickled down his finger. He cursed.

“It cut me!” The turmoil near the fire quietened abruptly. His heart started beating loudly against his chest, had the Orcs heard him?

It was not until much later that he dared resume his task.  As he lay limp on the ground, he could feel the blood oozing from his finger to the floor. At least it is sharp, he thought, forcing himself to calm down.

And slippery, he added in his mind when he realized the effects of the liquid on his palm. He tried to hold it with his clean hand, but after some clumsy attempts it was all smeared over. Cursing again, this time soundlessly, he set to doing his work as well as he could.

It was no easy thing, between the blood and the uncomfortableness of his position, and the fact that he couldn´t see what he was doing as he lay with his back to Pharazôn. Still, somehow he managed to make the jewel connect with the rope, and pressed there with rhythmic sawing movements. They were now so close that he could perceive the tension in his friend´s body as he, too, tried to stretch his arms backwards.

It took a while of awkward sawing for the rope to begin giving way. When he noticed his progress, Amandil redoubled his efforts. Soon, they would be free. And then...

He frowned, pausing a moment in his work as he wondered what they were going to do next. The Orcs still outnumbered them, they couldn´t run away in the dead of the night across an unfamiliar country, and the first to check on them would notice that they were not tied anymore. And then they could take some of them by surprise... but all?

“What are we going to do next?” he whispered to Pharazôn. The answer was almost too distant to hear, though they were so close. A bitter smell of blood was reaching his nostrils in waves.

“We create a diversion.”

A diversion of what? Amandil wondered. He resumed his work in growing frustration. What kind of harebrained plan was his friend hatching? Pharazôn had never been the calculating type, and if he was just acting on impulse this time they would both die because of it. Even his friend´s lack of fear was starting to exasperate him. If only he could be sure he understood how serious their situation was....

The last rope gave way unexpectedly, and Amandil could not keep the improvised saw from slipping and falling to the ground with a loud clang. His eyes widened in horror. This time, the Orcs must have heard it, no matter how they pretended to lie still.

His eyes were closed, so he could only hear the heavy footsteps and the thump of metal approaching him. He opened a very narrow slit, to be prepared for what would happen, and saw the biggest Orc walking towards them. Fear paralyzed him for a moment.

He was still tied.

“What’s that noise, you bloody Númenor curs?” he growled, hovering over them. His malicious eyes immediately found the jewel. “That´s shiny.”

The last words were spoken less in anger, and more in a low voice which could almost have been called reverential. Now, he would want to claim the shiny thing... and maybe he would be too busy to notice the severed ropes, and too stupid to imagine what they had been doing with the cutting edge.

A black hand darted towards the jewel, greedily picking it up. Just as it did so, a horrible, keening scream rent the thick air of the cave. Amandil opened his eyes, astonished. The Orc was writhing in pain right before his eyes.

Pharazôn did not hesitate a second. He seized the dropped jewel, jumped to his feet and pressed it against the Orc´s face. A sizzling noise followed, and a smell of charred meat that made Amandil nauseous, as vivid remembrances of childhood nightmares flashed through his mind. Blind and mad with agony, the creature could not prevent Pharazôn from pulling the axe from his side and striking him with it.

A dreadful noise of clanging and banging echoed across the cave, as the other Orcs realized what was happening and rushed from their seats to charge at them. Amandil heard their battle screams, and tried desperately to free himself from his bonds. Before him, Pharazôn had adopted a battle stance, the axe in one hand and the jewel in the other.

It was obvious that the creatures were more afraid of the latter, the magic devilry that would burn their flesh as soon as it touched them. For a moment, which seemed to stretch for the length of an age, they watched it warily, not daring to approach. Then, one of them let go of a low growl, and charged.

Amandil crawled on all fours, just in time to prevent the Orc´s body from falling on top of him like before. Dark blood oozed from the severed arm, but he was more interested in the battle axe that protruded from beneath the corpse. Trying not to look at the battle, or allow himself to be distracted, he turned his back to it, put the ropes against the blade and started sawing again. Curses, more screams and burning smells assailed his senses as he worked.

When the ropes gave way, it wasn´t a moment too soon. He barely had time to pick up the axe in his own, numbed fingers and struggle to his feet before two Orcs hurled themselves at him. He hacked at them, losing himself in the instinctive frenzy of battle. As he did so, the change came upon him again, and he did not feel cornered and hopeless anymore.

He could fight now.

There was no way to keep count of how many Orcs came at him, or how many he killed. For a moment, Pharazôn´s staggering figure flashed into view, and Amandil realized that he had lost his weapon. He wanted to help him, but another growling Orc came between them, and he was forced to fight for his own life.

This time, rage overthrew instinct, turning his deadly, measured moves into desperate thrusts. That caused the red curtain to fall open for a moment, baring his mind, and he became aware of the carnage -the dark blood flowing everywhere and the bodies that lay strewn around him, wounded, hacked, maimed. The axe he was holding sank on the creature´s throat, which let go of a sharp whistling sound as it fell to the ground, twitching. When Amandil pulled it away, another jet of blood burst through. No other Orc remained in his vicinity, and he stood still, pale and shaken to the core.

“Fuck!”

The expletive yanked him from his daze. Pharazôn, as a last resort, had thrown the jewel at his pursuer´s eyes like a rock. His aim had been true, and it was a terrible sight as the creature tried in vain to pull it away before it burned its face. Men can be worse than Orcs, the thought came unbidden to his mind.

Then, Pharazôn fell to his knees, and the thought became distant and strange, as if other person had thought it. Amandil pulled a rusty sword from the corpse´s fingers, and with a weapon in each hand, gave a battle yell and ran with all his might towards the two Orcs who were about to spear his friend. They were not expecting him: the first died with a look of shock etched upon its eyes, and the second with a curse.

They were the last.

The axe and the sword fell to the ground with a sharp clang. Amandil´s hands trembled; nothing seemed real to him. He turned towards Pharazôn, and saw his bloody lips curve in a smile.

Anger and frustration coursed through him, though they could find no target. The target is dead now, he thought, they are all dead now.

“That was a good diversion.” Pharazôn mumbled, before falling unconscious to the floor.

 

Interlude VI: Crossroads

Read Interlude VI: Crossroads

“Min...tâd... nel... canâd. Min...tâd... nel... canâd.” The woman opened her eyes again to search the book that lay on her lap. A large, yellowish stain obscured the lower half of the page. “Leben, eneg, odog, toloth, neder.” She looked up. “Leben... eneg... neder... no, leben, odog, neder... curse it!”

She slammed the book shut, causing a cloud of dust to rise in the air, and glared at the cover.

“Why are you doing this?”

Zarhil´s brow unfurrowed. Puzzled, she turned towards her daughter, who at some moment had entered the room and sat on a low chair near the window while she was engrossed in her study. She didn´t know how long she had been there, watching her struggle with the slippery language.

“Oh, Zimraphel.” Her lips curved in a welcoming smile, and she beckoned to her. “Come closer... look at this.”

The young woman did not move. She sat like a queen, pale white against black and the gleam of silver jewels.

“Why are you learning Elvish?” she asked. Zarhil set the book aside with care, as if suddenly remembering how frail it was.

“When your father becomes King, he intends to restore the use of the Elvish tongue, as it was spoken in the Númenor of old”, she explained. “If we use it daily, and also the lords of Sorontil and Andúnië, who are the oldest noble houses in Númenor, the others will think it is distinguished, and they will follow.”

“So you are learning it for him.” Zimraphel frowned. “Why?”

“Why, because he is my husband, and this is important to him!” Zarhil replied, shaking her head as if it was something obvious. But her daughter wasn´t impressed.

“You did not choose to marry him. You do not owe him anything.”

The Princess of the West bit her lip. Since she had been a little girl, shaking from her nightmares, Zimraphel had had a penchant for saying things that would upset her. It was not her fault, her illness made her act like that. And still...

“It is true that we did not know each other when we were betrothed, Zimraphel, my child”, she explained, in the gentle tone that she had learned only after the girl was born. “But after living together for years, love will grow between two people. The proof of this is that you are here.”

This angered Zimraphel.

“I am not a child.” Her tone was cutting. “A child is not proof of anything, even rape can produce it.”

“Well, that is definitely not what happened!”

Zarhil had lost her patience for a moment and raised her voice, appalled at such a crude statement. However, she regretted it almost at once, when Zimraphel´s eyes became veiled and strange.

“I am sorry, my dear.” Zarhil struggled to her feet, and stood behind her to stroke her hair. “I only want you to understand.” I only want you to stop hating him. It is not his fault, it never was.

For a while, there was silence.

“Mother... did you ever go to Middle-Earth in your travels of old?” the dark eyes asked then, becoming larger as they looked up to search for hers. Zarhil´s hands stopped stroking, and for a moment she  looked at them in wary silence. Why would she bring up this subject now? Would she try to twist her finger inside the wound, to see if she could bring forth a hidden resentment?

Sadly, she wondered when she had started attributing such dark thoughts to her own daughter.

“I have sailed the shores of the mainland, and laid anchor on them countless times. I have seen the frozen North and the deserts of the South, and the barbarians who live there.”

“Is it dangerous?”

Zarhil shrugged, surprised.

“It can be. Middle-Earth is so large that it would be able to hold a thousand islands the size of Númenor. It also holds many races, animals and plants that we have never seen here, so it would be as difficult to describe it as it is to describe the colour of the sky when the sun sets.”

Zimraphel pressed her cheek against her mother´s hand, so that her voice came out a little muffled.

“Have you ever been to Umbar?”

“I have. Why?”

“Is it safe?”

Zarhil did not know where her daughter wanted to lead this. She was not going to Umbar. She did not know anybody there. Maybe, in one of her dreams...?

“It is. The King´s soldiers are there to protect the people against Orcs and the barbarian tribes.”

“Have you ever seen an Orc?”

“Yes. They are foul creatures.” Zarhil almost spat on the floor, but then she remembered that she was a princess. “Cowardly, too. They will crawl out of their holes at night, when it´s dark, and will only attack a Númenorean if their numbers are much greater.”

Zimraphel seemed to ponder this for a while.

“I see. There should be nothing to fear, then.”

Zarhil shook her head, and caressed her daughter´s cheek. Almost surely a dream, she thought. Triggered by something she must have overheard, as everybody in the Western wing was under strict instructions not to tell any tales to her.

“Of course not, my child. You are safe here. Orcs fear water as much as they fear Númenoreans.”

Zimraphel smiled. This was so rare a sight that it brought a knot to her mother´s throat. It was as if the sun shone in her face, and gave it a new life.

If only she smiled more...

The young princess leaned forwards, and picked the Sindarin book that she had discarder earlier. She passed a finger over the unfamiliar letters, as if tracing an invisible line, and handed it back to her mother.

“They look like worms”, she laughed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“So you wanted to see me?”

Halideyid turned towards the source of the voice: a bulky man who wore a leather overcoat under  the folds of a green cape. Though the top of his head barely reached the young man´s chest, he stood before him with an air of impatient superiority, fixing him with a stare of his small, beady eyes.

“I did.” In a gesture of respect, Halideyid lowered the wooden sword that had been slung over his shoulder, but did not bow. Their glances met. “I... wanted to ask something.”

“Then go ahead and ask it. I have things to do.”

Behind them, the sound of a hundred boys and young men gathering their things and talking among themselves grew as the other lessons were also finished. Halideyid tried to speak, but the noise drowned his words. For a moment he hesitated, turning a furtive look towards the source of the ruckus, but he couldn´t wait for it to stop. Taking a sharp breath, he raised his voice.

“Am I going to be made a Guard soon?”

The man did not look pleased.

“Eh? What kind of question is that? Even if you are allowed to give those lessons, you are nobody special here. You will wait like the others did!”

Halideyid did not back down. He stared at the points of his feet, his forehead curving in a frown.

“I have waited more than any of the others did. And my grandfather...”

“I know, I know, he was a good friend of mine.” The Guard´s tone became less aggressive, almost friendly for a moment. “Look, son, you have to understand. We have had no vacants in a while. If you wait for a while longer...”

“Three have been filled only this year. I taught two of them.” Halideyid retorted. The man´s good mood vanished as soon as it had come.

“You forget your place”, he hissed.

The young instructor looked directly at him again. He seemed to be gaining aplomb at each word he said.

“I just want to know what my place is. And why people who are younger, less expert with the sword and with a lesser claim are put before me, one after another.”

The Guard seemed about to burst. His face took a deep purple colour, and for a moment it seemed like he would try to strike him. Halideyid´s size, however, gave him pause.

“With a lesser claim? With a lesser claim?” he laughed loudly instead. “Who has a lesser claim than you? We do not even know who your father is!”

Halideyid paled. After a moment, he nodded.

“I see”, he said, his voice much lower than before. “Just as I thought.”

“Well, then!”

“Now, I can leave this place with no regrets.”

What?” The Guard looked as if the floor had been suddenly pulled away from his feet. He stared at him, his small eyes bulging, and his mouth half-open. “Wait! You cannot be serious!”

Halideyid slung the wooden sword over his shoulder again, and for a fraction of a second the man stepped back, feeling instinctively threatened. This gave him the opportunity to turn away.

“You... do not know what you are saying! If you go now, you will walk away from your mother´s family and their heritage! You will have no future!” the Guard yelled behind his back. A few stragglers from the lesson stopped in their tracks, shocked at the scene. Halideyid concentrated on ignoring them, as he concentrated on ignoring the raging man.

“Come back! I will not tell anybody what has happened here!”

With one step, he crossed the threshold. With the second, he was out in the street. He turned briefly to look at the gates, gates he would never be able to cross again. Nobody came after him.

It was done.

As he walked through the crowded alleyways towards his home, still shaking, Halideyid could not help but wonder if some power in his father´s blood could have given him the courage.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Halideyid! What are you doing?”

The young man looked up from his work, and found his mother standing on the threshold. She was holding a piece of paper in her hands; other, identical ones were lying on the floor at her feet.

“Advertisements”, he said. “For lessons.”

“I can see that.” Amalket made her way through the room, trying not to step on any of the papers. “And when are you going to teach them, at midnight?”

“During the day. I will have more time for that now, since I left the Guards.”

It was a bit cowardly to disguise it like that, almost as if he was expecting that she wouldn´t notice. A far cry from his determination that morning, but this was his mother, and the truth was that he had not even decided what he would say to her yet.

“You left the Guards”, she nodded, also mirroring his deceptively calm tone. “I see. Why?”

Halideyid drew the last letter, and crossed it with a sharp line.

“Because...” He sought within himself for the courage he had felt before. It had to be there, somewhere. “I asked them if they would honour my claim, and they said they would not. So, there was no point in staying.”

Amalket nodded again, this time in silence. Halideyid winced.

“Mother...”

She knelt on the floor, and started picking up scattered papers to arrange them in a neat pile. Her eyes showed no emotion.

“Indeed not.” Suddenly, her lips curved in a strange smile. “No point at all.”

“Eh?” Halideyid stared at her, puzzled. Whatever reaction he had been expecting, it had not been this.

The pile of papers fell on her lap, and scattered again as a tear ran down her cheek.

“Mother, I am sorry, I did not want to make you upset...” He stood up, and walked towards her, but she grabbed his hand.

“Your... grandfather would not have... stood for it either”, she said, in a tremulous voice. “H-he would have said you are well rid of them. They would have never w-wanted you there.” Anger veiled her eyes. “Well, we do no need them!”

Halideyid watched in astonishment as his mother started picking the papers back with a feverish determination. He did not know what to say, but she saved him the trouble.

“Here”, she said, handing the pile to him. “Do you want me to help you?”

“What?” He blinked, thinking. “I... I would be grateful, but... well... I cannot very well offer swordmanship lessons in a woman´s handwriting...”

“You idiot!” she cried. Then, she threw herself against him.

Slowly, Halideyid reacted, and laid a clumsy arm around her shoulders. He felt a knot rise in his throat, and wondered if the world had gone mad.

“One day, your father will come back”, she whispered against his chest. “I promise you, he will.”

The Heart of Darkness, Part II

Read The Heart of Darkness, Part II

The silence after the battle was heavy, and full of echoes in his mind. Forcing himself to keep his turmoil under check, he explored the place searching for their things, which he found in the bags of the Orcs together with the spoils of their dead companions. The discovery of Eshmounazer´s sword brought a pang to his stomach, but there was no time for grief now. He retrieved Pharazôn´s things, and threw the rest to the floor so he could later choose among them.

The Orc fire was the only light in the cave, which became dimmer and dimmer as he went deep inside it. It did not seem to have an end that he could see, causing him to remember stories about Orcs and underground tunnels. Maybe, he thought, that passage could lead them to the other side of the mountains, where Umbar was. But it was just as possible that they would run into more Orcs in the darkness.

At last, he found what looked like the warehouse of the place. Kneeling, he sought among maggoty animal carcasses, knives and dusty armour plates until he stumbled upon a row of wooden casks. He opened one of them and sniffed inside; the smell told him that the substance was strong. Close by, he found jars, and he filled one of them with the contents of the cask.

There was no sign of anything that could be used for medicinal purposes. Maybe Orcs did not treat their wounds, and just let their companions die like dogs. That wouldn´t be at odds with what Amandil had seen and heard of them so far. Whether they had been the servants of Morgoth in the dark pits of his fortress, as his mother used to tell him, or created out of divine wrath against the Elves, as the lore of the Four Temples taught, they were foul beasts.

He stood up. Alcohol and cloth bandages would have to do. There were two large wounds, one on the right leg and the other on the flank, right under the arm. He had quenched the flow of blood as he could, tying it with the first, makeshift bandages he could lay hands on, which had been torn from the clothes worn by the nearest corpse. Disinfecting and healing would be much harder, though. He had never done it before, by himself, but he could not afford to be less than decisive now.

Returning to Pharazôn´s side, he tore the bandages from the leg, and recoiled when the blood started flowing again. He tied it back hurriedly, and set himself to prepare new bandages from Abdashtart´s finery, dabbing them in the Orc beverage. His friend stirred, mumbling words that Amandil could not understand. Panic was there, festering in his stomach and ready to take control at any moment, but once again he did not allow it to. He would patch him, get both of them to a safe place.

He turned away, and his glance stopped at the corpses that lay strewn around them. The jewel. He had to find the jewel. It was Pharazôn´s amulet, and it protected him. If he had it back, superstitious as he was, he would feel much better and stop muttering.

That jewel had really burned the Orc´s flesh.

This was another of the many things he had been trying to keep locked away in a corner of his mind, but as he walked among the rows of dead Orcs looking for the familiar green and silver gleam, it came back to him. What kind of power had that been ...had it been the power of Melkor or Ashtarte-Uinen? He could not imagine Pharazôn wearing anything that belonged to any other god, and yet it had worked as he had never seen divine might work before his eyes. It was disturbing to think -so much that, for a moment, he longed to turn away and abandon his search.

As he stood there, however, pulled by contradictory impulses, he spotted it at last. It was still where he had last seen it, stuck to the Orc face it had ravaged. The flesh was burned all around it, swelling into a terrible shape, and the eyes were gone. Mastering his repugnance, he stretched a careful hand, almost expecting to be burned himself, but it felt just as cool as it had before. He lifted it easily, as if it had never adhered to the creature´s face with a vicelike, invisible grip.

Unnerved, he began moving away, when something made him freeze in his tracks. A strange smell reached his nostrils, not of blood and filth and charred meat, but of something sweet and invigorating that reminded him of stolen hours under the trees of the Bay. Quickly, he sought for the source, and lifted the dead limb to pull a bough of green leaves that lay underneath.

It was a plant he had never seen before, with deep green leaves which did not seem spoiled or stained by the battle that had taken place right over them. As he held it over his palm, and though he did not know very well why, Amandil was certain that it was medicine, destined to bring healing. But how could Orcs keep something like this, they who hated trees and plants as much as the sun that nourished them?

Maybe it had been brought by one of his own group as part of a survival kit. They had been experienced warriors, who knew what was needed in the wilderness. He took another, deep smell, and he was convinced of this theory. Determination seemed to ooze from that plant like magic.

Everything seemed easier now. When Amandil knelt before Pharazôn´s unconscious form, it was as if someone was whispering in his ear what to do. He undid the bandages again, and checked that the flow of blood had almost stemmed. He took the new ones, dripping with alcohol, tied them around the wound and put the leaves inside them. Then, he repeated the same operation with the other wound.

Pharazôn did not even stir, but he stopped mumbling and fell into a deep sleep.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Under the dim light, he saw that the mouth of the cave was very close to their encampment. This must have been how the creatures had been able to take them by surprise, then. Anger grew inside him as he discovered the trampled fireside and the gutted horses. The corpses had been lined in a row, stripped of their valuables, and beheaded. It was a terrible sight, but at least he could not recognize their dead features anymore, which helped him retain a measure of detachment. He had no time to give them a proper burial, or a Prince of Númenor might join them.

This if all the jolting did not make his wounds bleed again, he thought in worry as they slowly made it back to the Númenórean road under the cliff, the unconscious prince leaning against his shoulder. It looked so much wider now that he was on foot – wider and longer. And more than anything, it looked empty, of the caravans and parties that should have been travelling back and forth from Umbar to carry their merchandise to the outposts. One of those would be their salvation, and yet they hadn´t met a soul since they set forth from the Second Wall.

The sun rose in the sky, its rays falling pitilessly on Amandil´s head and shoulders. He felt himself boil under the mail, and the ache in his muscles had dulled until he could not even feel them anymore. There was no food, no water to be had in that ghastly land, which became more and more barren as they progressed. At some point, Pharazôn started mumbling things again, and Amandil´s teeth clenched.

He had lost all notion of time and distance when they came to a place where the road gave an abrupt turn, and left the side of the cliff. Far towards the horizon, he could distinguish a strange red shape under a row of trees. Blinking his sweat away, he tried to focus his glance on it, and the shape started to shake until it became a red blur. If it had been in any other circumstances, he might have been wary, but now he felt there was little to lose anymore -and nothing if he let the night fall on them, or collapsed from lack of water and exhaustion. He gave Pharazôn´s body a painful heave, and set towards it.

It was a house, but very unlike those of the Númenóreans. Something between a hut and a tent, it stood low and draped in red cloth. As he drew even closer, he could distinguish the silhouettes of two people sitting before the entrance, wrapped in white fabrics. Judging by the difference in their build, they had to be a woman and a man, dark-skinned and small like the barbarians he had seen in Umbar. The man was sharpening a knife, which slipped from his hands as he became aware of their presence. Quickly, the woman stood up and ran towards the safety of their home.

Just a small peasant household. And, by the looks of it, more afraid of him than he was of them, he thought, picking up the courage to approach the place.

“I come in peace. We need help”, he announced in a cracked voice, wondering if they would understand him. Or believe him, seeing that he was fully armed. “My friend is hurt.”

The man, who had picked up the knife again and was fingering it nervously, levelled them with an anxious look. He said something in a language that Amandil could not understand.

“Could we go in?” he insisted. “We need some food and rest... and something for the wounds, if you would be so kind?” Useless. “Food. Rest. Medicine.” he repeated slowly, trying to mimic the motions with his free hand.

“Right. In”, the man nodded, in accented Adûnaic. He stepped away from the entrance, bowing in sudden obsequiousness, but Amandil could perceive that he didn´t want to stand anywhere near the reach of his sword. “Mighty sea lords.”

Before Amandil could thank him, the man shouted more words in his language. Two women immediately came out of the shelter, hiding their faces behind the cloth they wore and peering at them in trepidation.

“There is beds inside, to the right. I will bring food and everything”, one of them said in Adûnaic. She had the voice of a younger woman, but without seeing her face, Amandil could not be sure.

Heartened by the prospect of rest, however, he dragged Pharazôn inside and blinked the gleam of the sun away from his eyes. The structure of the building was sustained by a skeleton of wooden poles tied with ropes, but there was cloth everywhere, forming the ceiling, the walls and even the floor. There was no furniture to be seen, though as he lifted one of those heavy red fabrics to enter the secluded space to the right, he found three heaps of blankets which he assumed to be beds. He put Pharazôn on one of those, and pulled away his clothes to look at the bandages.

To his surprise, there was barely any blood in them. The scent of the leaves he had found on the cave floor reached his nostrils, and for a moment, in spite of his sore throat, the hurt in his muscles and his parched lips, he felt rested.

“Here.” A plate was pulled in his direction, but as he turned towards the woman he could only see a blur of white fabric disappearing behind the red. They would not be in the same room as them, Amandil realized. He wondered what made them so scared. They seemed peaceful folk, a peasant family who lived from the land and minded their own business.

They have always hated us, called us usurpers, tyrants and thieves. The words of that old sailor came back to his mind as he grabbed a jar of dark liquid that smelled strongly of herbs. He winced, and not only because it was tepid.

The soldiers had spoken of wars, of fierce natives and a relentless rivalry. They would even go as far as to establish alliances with Mordor, to welcome Orcs into their homes and fight alongside them. They would do all that, and yet flee from him, who was a man like them. What had prompted that attitude, that enmity and mistrust?

Carefully, he dabbed some of the liquid over his friend´s forehead. Pharazôn had begun stirring again, but to Amandil´s relief, he was not burning.

“Is there...?” He felt ridiculous shouting in that empty place, without knowing if his hosts were there or a mile away. “Are there any clean bandages around here?”

Nobody answered him. He sighed, and crawled out of the place.

The rest of the house was also empty, so he had to step outside. The sunlight blinded him and forced him to rub his eyes with his hands. As he let them fall back to his side, a figure emerged before him.

It was one of the women, the one who had spoken before. Now she had thrown the veil back on her forehead, and her features were indeed those of a young woman, pretty enough in spite of the dark hue and hardness of her skin. Her eyes were large and coal black.

“Excuse me...” he began carefully, afraid that she would run away. But she didn´t seem scared any longer. She stared at him in an appraising way, standing her ground as he approached her. “I need bandages. For my friend.”

“Bandages”, she nodded. Then, she motioned towards the entrance. “Inside.”

Amandil was heartened at her daring, though still a little uncomfortable as he followed her. Where had the others gone?

The young woman -the girl?- held a red cloth open for him. It was not the piece to the right where Pharazôn was resting, but the one on the opposite side of the entrance. That shelter barely deserved to be called a house, and yet it was bigger than it seemed at first sight.

He picked up the cloth with his own hand, going in after her. Just as he released it behind him, she stopped in her tracks abruptly, and he bumped against her back.

“What...?”

The question remained unspoken, for all of a sudden she turned back and kissed him. Amandil felt her lips connect forcefully with his, and a sweet taste of warm cinnamon as her tongue entered his mouth. For a moment, the frightening strength of those sensations kept him rooted to the spot.

Then, he remembered himself, and pulled away.

“What are you doing?” he hissed.

She looked taken aback, but only for a brief moment. Her parted lips curved in a lusty smile, and she yanked the cloth from her head completely. A thick mass of dark, braided hair emerged from under it. One of her hands started playing with the strands that had broken out of the cord.

“You are tall”, she said. “And handsome.”

It may have been the experiences of the last days, or the exhaustion, or the lack of nourishment, but Amandil could not think of anything to say to this. He stood there, watching in shock as she yanked the white fabrics from her body next. Underneath them, her limbs were rolled in what looked like coarse bandages, from chest to knee. Maybe because they were pulled tight, she seemed very thin.

“The other people... aren´t they your parents?” He finally seemed to have found his voice back. “What would they think if...?”

“They know. Of course they know. You are a Númenórean”, she sang, more than said, in a crooning voice. He swallowed.

This was madness. He had a wife in Armenelos... and a son... a son who was probably, surely! older than this girl. She was a barbarian, too... and his friend was lying sick in the other room, how could he even be thinking of this?

The bandage that covered her chest was unrolled, and two small but round breasts came into view. Amandil looked away at once, though not before he could feel an uncomfortable heat in his groin.

“Stop that!” he shouted. “I only need clean bandages. Get dressed.”

She did not speak for a while. When she did so, her tone was even, as if she did not feel defeated by his rejection. Amandil did not know whether to feel relieved by this.

“Back when I brought you food and drink, I smelled something”, she said. Not sure of whether she had covered her breasts, but also unwilling to show his back to such a woman, he turned towards her again, determined to keep his glance religiously fixed to the floor. The sight gave him a new jolt, but he forced himself to pay no mind.

“What kind of smell?”

“A sweet fragrance. Like...” She paused for a while. “Like the heart of the desert in bloom.”

Her voice was not singsong or lusty anymore; it was full of an emotion that Amandil could not quite lay a finger on.

“I used a fresh-smelling leaf for my friend´s bandages”, he explained. “Do you know it?”

For a moment, he couldn´t prevent himself from looking up, at her face. Her eyes had narrowed as if in pain, and slowly, she started to tie her breasts again.

“Is your friend a king?” she asked.

“What?” Shocked, he wondered how could she have made that guess. The purple had stayed in the cave of the Orcs, and the silver steel armour was dirty. Nobody could have imagined that a prince of Númenor would be wandering the wild lands of Middle-Earth with just one companion, and need the hospitality of a barbarian. Nobody... “No. Why that question?”

“The leaf can be used by the Sea King alone. The King owns it”, she replied, in a tone that was laced with a now unmistakeable bitterness. Amandil did not understand, though the words tugged at something in the back of his mind. He sat down in front of her.

“Do you know it? The leaf?”

She nodded somberly.

“There is a place, far away, in the middle of the desert. When El made the sky go up and the earth go down, He made a garden there, and it was a place of great wonder, with all the plants and animals useful for Men.”

“Do you mean Eru?” Amandil ventured, surprised. In Númenor, he had heard that the religion of the barbarians was nothing at all like theirs; that they worshipped animals and gruesome statues.

Irritation flashed in the girl´s eyes.

“I mean El!” She paused for a moment, then continued with the same, somber voice as before. “The First Men lived in the garden, but they lost it. They rebelled, and El exiled them.” Like the Elves in his mother´s tales. Amandil´s curiosity was turning into fascination. “For many long years our people lived miserably and died early, because the land was barren and they did not have anything of what was needed. No plants, no animals, no medicines... no wool to weave clothes for us and walls for our houses.”

It was her use of Adûnaic what made the girl talk of weaving walls; a Númenórean would not know how to put those strange dwellings into words.

“One day, Haradu left his village, and his hearth, and his mother, and entered the Great Desert. It was a terrible place, where there was no water or trees and the sun burned like a fire, but he entered it alone and without fear. He wandered for forty years, until everybody thought he had died. But one day, he came back, and nobody recognised him because his skin had turned as dark as smoked wood. He had found the garden at the heart of the desert, and brought back a seed for each plant, a male and a female of each animal. The most precious of all the seeds was this, the Leaf of Haradu.” For a while, as she told the story, her voice had become lighter, and full of a blooming pride that Amandil found hard to reconcile with this poor landscape and humble abode, and with a girl who would give herself to strangers. Now, however, it was darkened again. “Since then, we honoured the hero by burning it in his altar. The smoke reached his spirit, and he smiled upon us, but the Sea Lords...” Her forehead creased in a scowl. “They claimed it for themselves. They stole it. They burned our fields and smoked our seeds and said it belonged to the Sea King alone. Liars!”

Her gaze was so intense that Amandil withdrew an inch. Usurpers and thieves. He felt defensive, as if his mind needed to find a way of lashing back at an accusation that was directed also towards him. Grabbing at this and that, he suddenly put the pieces together, and the truth stood in front of him, as naked as she had been minutes before. His eyes grew wide.

“Thirty five years ago. The attacks on the outposts and the caravans. It... it was your people, wasn´t it? Because of the leaf?”

She looked down; a strange light was in her eyes.

“They ambushed them in the mountains, and cut off their heads. Each was sent to one of the tribes, except the head of the leader. That one they sent to the Númenóreans,” she mumbled. Amandil looked at her, so small, so incongruously young. He could find no words.

Slowly, she turned away from him, and started tinkering with the clay pots as if looking for something. He gazed at her, mesmerized. The white cloth had remained on the floor, forgotten, and her hair moved together with her shoulders in brief, undulating jerks.

And then he heard it. A clash that vibrated too loudly to be the chime of clay against clay in her practiced hands. A groan, coming from the neighbouring room.

“What was that?” he asked, tensing in alert. A pot fell to the floor, and broke in two. She turned back, and he barely had the time to see the anguished pallor in her face before she was on him, kissing his forehead, his mouth, his neck.

“It is... nothing.” she said between kisses. “Shh.” Her mouth left a trail of fire in his body.

“No.” He shook his head, grabbing her hand to pull her away. It wasn´t right, his every limb was screaming at him. And not because of Amalket, or because of his son, or because of Pharazôn, but because she was his enemy. As he felt her lips claiming his, he knew, and his hand darted towards her wrist before she could stab him with the knife.

She wrenched herself free with a snarl.

“You Sea-devil!” she cursed, raising it to strike again. Amandil sought around him frantically, but he was weaponless. The idea that a young girl could kill him where a horde of Orcs had failed was as ironic as it was terrible.

He rolled over to avoid the second strike, which cut a large, tearing gash into the cloth hanging behind him. Before he rolled back she had already retrieved it, quick as a panther. She gave a battle yell, and without thinking, his knee jerked up to prevent her from landing in top of him. It connected against something hard, and he heard a cry.

He looked up. She was kneeling on the floor, struggling to stand up in spite of the pain. The knife was still on her hand, but now the broken clay was within his reach. Instinct told him what he had to do, like it had done back on the cave: grab it, smash it in her face before she could recover.

This time, however, his body did not obey. Helpless, he stared at the tears of rage that trickled down her cheeks as she nursed her stomach, staggering back to her feet. He remembered the pride in her voice as she told him the tale. She was so young....

“Die!” she hissed. Still in a daze, he watched her loom over him, an Orc in the body of a girl. Something inside him rebelled. It wasn´t supposed to be like this.

The blade froze in the air, before it slipped from her fingers. Her eyes widened, and for a small fraction of a second, Amandil thought that she, like him, had remembered that they were both children of Eru.

Then, he saw the blood gushing from her chest, and staining the bandages that tied her body as she fell, dead, to the floor.

“Hurry! They will be here in no time,” Pharazôn urged, kicking her body away and helping him to his feet.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil could not remember ever having lost control of himself in that way. He was only vaguely aware of being dragged out of the place, through red cloth and darkness and the dead body of the man who had been sitting on the doorstep ages ago. The afternoon sun hurt his eyes.

“He tried to kill me in my sleep. But not the hag. She fled. She has probably gone to call the others, and they will be here in no time. What were you thinking, getting us into...?”

“Why did you kill her?” he asked, interrupting Pharazôn´s tirade. He could not think of anything else; all had become a blur and vanished before the look in those dark eyes as her body crumbled. They had become holes, threatening to engulf his mind.

“Why did I...? Are you mad? She was going to stab you!”

“She...” His voice trailed away. Worse than Orcs, worse than Orcs, someone laughed in his face. Despite the heat, he was shivering.

“Here. Put this back on.” Pharazôn threw his mail at him. Amandil tried to catch it, but it slipped from his fingers, like that knife. “What is wrong with you?”

Blinking away tears from the radiance of the sun, he knelt to pick it up. It felt cold in his hand, and suddenly, he remembered something.

“You were wounded. I had to carry you all the way here”, he said, staring at the prince in newfound shock. Pharazôn shrugged.

“It was not serious. I am fine now.”

Amandil had seen the gaping wounds, in the leg and in the side, but now his friend was barely limping. Anyway, he thought, it didn´t matter. In this world, in the mainland of the Great Sea, everything was wrong.

“Are you... sure they will be coming after us?” he ventured, as he put his gear on. The landscape was as silent and desolate as ever.

“Certain.”

“Then we will not get far.” There was a strange detachment in his voice as he said it. “We do not have horses. We will be hunted like deer.”

“You are right.” Pharazôn´s forehead creased into a frown as he stared at the horizon, then turned thoughtfully towards the frail structure the barbarians had called a house. Weaving walls. “Wait. I have a plan.”

He made Amandil follow him behind the place, where two large trees provided support for the building with their trunks. A second, even smaller structure had been erected there, little else than two sticks with a goat skin propped between them. There were jars of water there, kept like a precious treasure, herbs and sacks of food, and three goats that bleated mournfully inside the fold. Behind them, a small vegetable patch stretched for about twenty paces, but the plants looked dead.

“We hide here,” Pharazôn declared. “When they come, we wait for them to dismount, steal their horses and leave.”

In other times, Amandil would have argued that the plan was too risky. Now, he merely shook his head.

“There could be a hundred of them.”

“They live scattered, miles away from each other. They will prefer speed to numbers,” Pharazôn answered confidently.

Maybe confidence was the key to being always right. Or maybe he was protected by all the gods and amulets of the people of Númenor, because hours later, after Amandil had slept, eaten as much food and drank as much water as he was able, they heard hooves coming from the distance and counted only five horse.

“We can deal with that”, the prince said, throwing the remains of the water jar over his head and grabbing his sword.

Amandil´s mind was clearer now, as if the struggle for survival had lifted the haze from his thoughts. Or at least where he allowed it to, which was the part that dealt with their immediate concerns. Other things remained veiled, and he was afraid of pulling the veil away and facing them. Like the fire of his childhood, and the water of his dreams, he had to banish them where they could not drag him down. He simply had to.

“I hope they do dismount,” he observed. As the riders came nearer, jabbering in a language that neither of them could understand, he saw that the escaped woman was riding one of the horses, clutching at the reins clumsily. After they stopped, they helped her down, and she bolted towards the door. Amandil swallowed, but one of the men grabbed her by her clothes and forced her to stop. An argument broke between them.

“They are wary of us. As they should be”, Pharazôn whispered. A man was chosen to stand guard over the mounts, while the rest unsheathed swords and knives and prepared to enter the house. The woman was placed behind.

“On the count of three”, Pharazôn announced, and began mouthing the numbers. Amandil felt a jolt of trepidation as they tiptoed carefully until they were several steps away from the man´s back. The others had entered the shelter; it was a matter of seconds before they found the bodies.

“Now!” the prince hissed, leading the charge. The desert warrior had not expected this sudden attack, and it was all he could do to interpose his sword before he was skewered. Steel clashed against steel with a resounding clatter, but the parry was clumsy and the angle wrong. His arm trembled, too weak to resist the onslaught as Pharazôn pushed him against his horse and decapitated him. Then, with an equally fast move, he rammed the blade inside the agitated beast´s neck. Amandil winced as it neighed in the throes of agony, but there was no time for this. He jumped on one of the horses as Pharazôn jumped on another, and the men ran out of the house cursing at them and the woman´s keening wails rose above them all.

“Kill the horses!” Pharazôn shouted. Amandil´s sword was unsheathed as he rode past the mounts that reared on their hind legs and kicked, but the wails had pierced his determination. His hand shook, remembering the dead girl inside. A knife whistled past his ear.

“You idiot!” Pharazôn yelled at him, when both rode down the slope towards the road. Uttering sharp cries that sounded like curses, the barbarians mounted the two remaining horses and bolted after them. “Now we have them at our heels!”

Amandil did not argue, even though the plan had been foolish and desperate from the beginning. Awakening from his turmoil, and for the first time since he had embarked on this nightmarish adventure, he felt the burning heat of shame.

He had caused all this himself. First, by wanting Pharazôn to come with them, by feeling guiltily relieved at his presence. Then, he had led him into a trap, and became paralyzed by his own emotions when those people tried to kill them. And now...

He barely had the time to duck before a second knife flew over his head. That girl had been an enemy. That man, that woman, had been enemies, like those warriors who were hunting them. They hated them, they were in league with the Orcs. Usurpers, tyrants and thieves. They wanted to kill them, him and Pharazôn too, and that was all that mattered now.

“Go on!” he shouted, tugging sharply at the reins. “I will deal with them!”

“What?” Pharazôn turned back. “What are you doing? Run!”

“No!”

To his dismay, Pharazôn stopped in his tracks. The Haradrim were approaching, their yells becoming louder and clearer in the late afternoon.

“Maybe it is a good idea. Better fight them head on than offer our backs to their knives.”

Amandil knew that he wasn´t a prince, or a commander, or a warrior even. But all the authority he could muster, all the determination he had, he put it in his voice as he gazed at his friend now.

“It is my fault that they are behind us. It is me who has to stop them. Leave.”

He did not have the time to check if his words had been heeded or not. The barbarians were on him, and he wielded his sword threateningly. They answered by throwing another knife, deadly and aimed for his throat. He parried it with his blade.

“Sea dog flees no more”, one of them spat. The other laughed, a laugh that exposed a row of white teeth that shone against his dark face. But he was not amused. “You fight other than women and old men?”

“We do”, Amandil said, fumbling to get his dagger out. It had worked with the Orcs, before.

The warriors unsheathed their swords as well, which they carried upon their backs. They were looking at him as if calculating their next move, and for a brief flicker of a second, Amandil detected a wary kind of fear in their eyes. He was only one, but he was bigger than them, and his steel was better. And now he was not fleeing anymore.

Slowly, he held the dagger on his left hand, and the sword on his right. His legs pressed against the horse´s flanks, and he shouted a battle yell. The Haradrim warriors charged.

He turned to the left, ramming against the horse of the warrior who had taken that flank. The man had not expected that move, and he had to lower his blade to hold on to his mount. Amandil slashed at him, watching him fall to the ground. Behind him, he heard another battle yell, and tried to turn back, but found that he could not. The reins had become entangled with the dead man´s saddle.

His grip on his weapon tightened, until the knuckles became white. The plan had almost worked.

“Die, sea dog!” the barbarian yelled. He was right behind him now.

Amandil dropped the sword to the ground, put the dagger between his teeth, and jumped.

 

Land of Shadows

Read Land of Shadows

“Itashtart.”

The priest raised his head a few inches, and peered uneasily at his surroundings. The mosaic-laden walls of the Palace seemed to loom over him, and his look trailed from one shape to another without taking any of them in. In the middle of this brilliant blur of colours, standing in sharp contrast, two dark eyes were coldly set on him. Their intensity crushed him like an almost physical weight, and he lowered his forehead again.

The obsidian floor felt hard and cold against his knees.

“There was an... agreement. Between me and Abdashtart, may he live eternally in the light beyond the Darkness, and the Commander of the garrison at Umbar”, he explained, willing his voice to sound confident even though his throat was dry. “The son of the traitors would accompany Abdashtart in a journey to a trading outpost, under the pretence of consecrating the ground for a temple. The plan was to kill him on the way, my lord king, and blame it on the Orcs that infest the region. “Regaining some of his courage, he looked up again. “We would have rid you of a sworn enemy, and your kingdom of a threat, if we had succeeded.”

Ar-Gimilzôr frowned. The crease in his brow was one of many, for which no dye or artifice had yet been found. Under his royal purple, the King had been growing old for years, many whispered that ahead of his time, and yet the glare with which he pierced the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay would have cowed much younger and stronger men.

“So you would take upon yourself to rid me of my enemies?” he asked in a soft voice. “But why in secret?”

Itashtart squared his shoulders, which had once suffered the weight of armour.

“To prevent the spread of rumours.”

“To prevent censure, you mean!” the King hissed. “That man was protected by the gods, and consecrated to them. How could you presume to gainsay their will!”

“We thought...”

“Enough!” Itashtart lowered his head, flinching at the anger in that voice. “The Goddess´s displeasure is upon you! She foiled your plans and destroyed your allies, while Hannishtart himself was allowed to live. And your manouevres almost cost us the prince Pharazôn´s life!”

“That...” The priest´s face reddened. “That was an accident! He insisted on going with the others, there was nothing they could do to convince him!”

“And are you so blind that you cannot see the hand of the Goddess in this?” a softer voice spoke from behind the throne. Gimilzôr nodded, leaning back in silence as the Princess of the South Melkyelid walked forth, red robes swishing behind her measured steps. Two silver-plaited braids slid down her front as she stood before the man and slowly bent towards him. “Can´t you see that she used the prince to save Hannishtart, and Hannishtart to save the prince?”

The voice was almost a whisper, and yet Itashtart seemed more unsettled than when the King had yelled at him. He gazed ahead, trying to focus on the throne, but her reproachful eyes were mere inches away from his now. He could feel her breath tickling his skin.

“I bear you no ill will for putting my son in danger. I know that his destiny is well out of your reach”, she whispered against his cheek. Suddenly, she pulled back, and her words became loud and clear. “But how can a High Priest ignore the will of the gods?”

Ar-Gimilzôr picked up the Sceptre that lay across his lap, and turned it on his hand with a pondering look.

“My lord king...”

“The Princess is right. You should resign.”

“What?” The golden features smiled blandly, like those of a statue. “But... my lord king...”

“Silence!” Gimilzor shouted; this time his voice reverberated against the high walls, breaking into a hundred echoes. “Your conspiracies have brought us enough trouble! You should be sent to the mainland yourself, to fight the Orcs until you died! Now leave this place and do not have us look upon your face again!”

Itashtart did not obey at once. Melkyelid stared in silence as he bowed and retreated with slow, almost drunken movements.

“He was already High Priest in the days of the late king. Is this what they mean with the uncertainty of fate? Today here, tomorrow there”, she wondered. Shaking her head with a sigh, she walked back towards the vicinity of the throne. “Only the gods are powerful.”

“And they blind those that they want to destroy”, Ar-Gimilzôr retorted harshly. At the far end of the hall, a cluster of courtiers whispered as the priest walked past them. “Come closer.”

Melkyelid tore her eyes away from the scene and leaned towards the king, her head curved in a graceful bow. For a while, he did not say anything, gazing at the mosaics in the wall as if he expected to find a living person hiding among the painted figures of the sailors who set foot on the island for the first time.

Finally, his eyes met hers. Uncertainty clouded them, of the kind that only she was allowed to see.

“Do you think this was a warning?” he asked. Melkyelid frowned.

“This was the second time that someone tried to kill him. The first time, there were wolf howls and a stubborn priest. This time, people died.” She nodded thoughtfully. “Leave him alone. He is under our protection; that is, indeed, what they seem to be saying. And that both gods would speak with the same voice is unheard-of. This is a matter of great import, for us and for Númenor.”

“She used the prince to save Hannishtart, and Hannishtart to save the prince”, Gimilzôr repeated, laying the Sceptre upon his lap again. Rubies gleamed under the dim lamplight. “That is what you said to Itashtart.”

“And also what I should have said long ago.” The last doubt fled her countenance, and she turned towards him resolutely. Her eyes shone with purpose. “Without the son of Númendil, there will be no dawn for Númenor, and the altars of the gods will forever remain cold. Do you not see it? They are with you. They want to fight for their Island!”

“You seem suddenly very sure that he will turn against his lineage, even under a king who will favour it. “Gimilzôr snapped, untouched by her enthusiasm. “There is no reason why he should bear us any good will.”

“He saved my son. He dragged him all the way through the desert and stood bravely against their pursuers”, she argued. “What does this tell you, my lord king?”

“That you are a mother”, he retorted dryly. She smiled, unabashed.

“So I am. And if there is anyone in this world I would trust with the life of my son, it would be Hannishtart. Because he stood by him when nobody else would, and will do so again.” The smile turned into a grin, gleeful and wide, as she leaned close to his ear and her voice became a whisper. “Because, one day, he will make Pharazôn King.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil rubbed his face with his hand. Drops of sweat trickled down his forehead, making the hair stick to the back of his neck even though it was well past midnight. There had not been the slightest breeze in days, and the hot air remained floating around them instead of being blown away. The feeling was one of oppression, of being buried in a hole from which he could not get out.

Close by, in the large open space before the Commander´s house, the soldiers were holding a feast. Drink flowed freely, and roast meat served with a sweet-smelling dried fruit. There was dance and song too, of a sort that would have made the Armenelos revelers he had once frequented blush in shame. Men and women mingled freely for both, joining their voices and their bodies in a bizarre and outlandish mixture. Above them, the stars shone in a clear sky, the stars of Númenor that looked incongruously upon a strange world.

As he was looking at them, a loud laugh pierced briefly through the music and the sounds of merrymaking. He gazed down and saw a woman run past him, the folds of her dress gathered up so it would not hinder her long strides. When she laughed, the white of her teeth struck a sharp contrast with her dark skin. Remembrances of the girl with the knife and the black eyes flooded his mind, that girl they had killed in barbarian land. He crushed the leaves against his hand, but the fragrance was gone.

A man appeared in the shadows, running behind the woman. He caught her some twenty steps away from where Amandil was sitting, and dragged her under the wooden porch. The screams of pleasure, barely smothered by the rough structure, made him so sick that for a moment he wanted to vomit.

“It is always better when you do it yourself”, a familiar voice remarked behind him. He did not acknowledge the new arrival, until he saw a cup of wine dangling before his face. It was pure wine, undiluted and unspiced, and his nose itched when it caught the smell.

He took it.

“This feast is for you, too. You defeated Orcs and barbarians who outnumbered you, earned the Commander´s approval and got rid of that fool Abdashtart.” Pharazôn sat next to him, as oblivious to the noises as if courtiers rolled under tables at the Palace everyday. “You should be happy, so why are you still moping?”

It was true that Amandil´s life seemed to have taken a better turn since Abdashtart perished in the Orc ambush beyond the mountains. Everybody had praised him for his skill and courage in the wilderness, and for saving the Prince´s life. Even the Commander, who had sent him away without a second glance, had suddenly developed a great interest in him. He had named him captain and accepted him into his council, which was unprecedented. Amandil had argued that he was a priest and depended on the Cave of the Forbidden Bay, but the man had merely shrugged and said that the Forbidden Bay was very far away, and that Amandil was too good a soldier to dance attendance on people who had never set foot outside Númenor. And so it was that his life had changed course yet again, in this place where rules and priests and kings seemed to matter much less -in this vast continent beyond the Sea where he now felt trapped.

“I am glad that we survived”, he answered carefully, taking a sip of the wine. “Thinking back, I suppose that we were quite lucky.”

“We did some stupid things, did we not? Especially you.” Pharazôn laughed; he had drunk his share of that dreadful wine. “Oh, it was very brave, charging alone against those riders though you had no idea how to fight on a horse. And that woman! Really. What were you thinking?”

Amandil´s stomach sunk again, and for a while he was unable to speak. He wanted to forget about her, forget that she ever existed. And yet that, too, was impossible. Not because he couldn´t compel his mind to dismiss her words as lying gibberish, to remember the knife instead of the proud look in her naked eyes, or to be ashamed of his own cowardice only, and not of being made to feel like a murderer, a thief and an usurper. He could not forget because now, he knew that he would have to go back and see her again, and again, hundreds of girls with knives and wailing women and weather-beaten warriors sneering in contempt. And he would fight them over and over, and kill them over and over, unless they killed him first, and the Wave would become a wave of blood and corpses.

He drank the rest of the wine. His throat burned.

“She told me a story. Before...”

“...she pulled a knife on you?” his friend finished for him. Amandil ignored this.

“They have the same High God as we do. Eru. Did you know that?”

For a moment, Pharazôn stared at him. Then, he laughed out loud.

“Really? Then he must not like them very much, don´t you think?”

“They think that we stole something from them. That made them angry.”

“Well, that is rich! They were dressed in animal rags before we came, and ate tree barks. What could we have stolen from them? Lice?”

“This.” His free hand, which had been balled into a fist, opened to reveal the crushed, dry leaf. “The leaf of the visions. You had it on you when we set out, did you not?”

It had not been difficult to guess the origin of the plant after he had the leisure to think again. If it belonged to the King, and nobody else could use it, it could not have been the soldiers. The Orcs had taken Pharazôn´s armour away when they were on the cave, and this is how it had been dropped to the floor, where it stayed unnoticed until he picked it up.

For the briefest of moments, Pharazôn looked taken aback. Then he shrugged defensively.

“This came from the King´s own fields. And I did not steal it. I am his grandson, which gives me the right to use it.”

“I healed your wounds with it. It is truly a miraculous plant”, Amandil observed, staring at it with a thoughtful frown. “No wonder they held it in such reverence...”

Pharazôn´s eyes widened in surprise at the first statement, and he did not even hear the second. He picked up the leaf between two fingers.

“Healed my wounds? That is not possible! This plant would not heal a cold, it only brings the holy visions. And it came from Númenor in the first place. Maybe those louts are confusing it with some other plant that looks similar. I would not put that past them!”

“But your wounds healed!” Amandil insisted.

“That is because I am strong!” Pharazôn retorted proudly. “I am of the blood of kings.”

I am of the blood of kings, too, and I still have every cut and every scratch, Amandil thought, unconvinced. But something else had occurred to him.

“Why did you take it, then?

“Those people! Are they going to keep it up all night?” The cup Amandil had emptied drew a practiced arch in the air and shattered exactly above the place where the man and the woman were hiding. The noise stopped for a moment, then it was resumed. Pharazôn muttered something about drunken soldiers.

All this gave Amandil the definite impression that his friend was trying to avoid the question. He was about to use this as a cue to announce his departure, as his head was starting to ache, but right then, Pharazôn spoke again.

“I wanted to see if it worked.”

“What?”

“The plant, of course!” He looked away, and his voice became lower. “The visions run in my family. The King is good at them, and so is my uncle, the Prince. And my cousin... she is very good. She sees things day and night.” A second pause followed this, until he continued in an even lower voice. “I have never seen anything. My uncle and his supporters would argue that this is because we are not the main branch, that I am unfit, and all those things they usually say. No matter that I am the only male descendant in my generation!”

“You want to have visions?” The idea sounded as ludicrous now as it had the first time that he heard it from the lips of a soldier, during the march from Umbar. He remembered the visions and dreams that had shaken him before he arrived there, and how they had become bloodier and more terrible after they returned from the trading post. “That is... that is absurd. You do not... “His tongue seemed to have knotted, maybe from the effects of the wine. “You do not know what you are saying, visions are... they are not a good thing.”

“See? Even you have them, and you are from a junior branch!” Pharazôn insisted. “The very fact that I do not have them, that my father does not have them, is taken as proof that I am not meant to rule.”

“The visions do not help you to rule. They do not show you what to do, they are confusing and insane. If you saw things day and night, that alone would make you unable to rule”, Amandil replied. For once, his friend seemed too stunned to make a reply.

He sighed. Why were they even talking about this?

Because that is what worries Pharazôn, a voice answered inside his mind, and maybe he feels as trapped inside his problems as you are inside yours. But he had no strength left to care for others´s problems now. He did not even have the strength to deal with his own.

Suddenly, he longed to be alone again.

“In any case, you were right before. I did stupid things back then, and I am sorry. “He stood up, and the planks creaked noisily under his feet. “I had second thoughts.”

The prince snapped back from his own musings, and gave him a close look.

“Well. That alone would get one killed”, he said, echoing his friend´s own pronouncement. Amandil started walking, not towards the feast but towards the back of the house, where it was dark and the noises came as if from very far away.

“Stop fooling around! Who cares about a plant or the religion or the claims of a barbarian? You have a wife and a son in Númenor!” Pharazôn shouted after him. Amandil heard movement of a new kind under the porch, as if the man and the woman had finally stopped their lovemaking and had started listening to them. “If you do not kill them, they will kill you. That is the only truth!”

Or the only truth that mattered. Which should amount to the same thing, and yet some part of him refused stubbornly to admit it.

Maybe he had a death wish. But if he did, he would not want to escape from this place with every fibre of his being. He would stay, and stop caring whether it was licit to ignore the Cave, or drink undiluted wine, or mate in public, or kill barbarian girls as if they were Orcs. He would be swallowed by the shadows.

“If you do not like it here, surely you do not want to die here?” his friend insisted. This had hit so close to his own thoughts, that Amandil paused in surprise.

“No”, he mumbled. Pharazôn stood up as well, and walked until he was barely one pace away from him.

“I will stop trying to have visions. You opened my eyes. It is a foolish thing, to look for complications where there are not”, he declared. “I only wish you would do the same.”

And walking past him, he headed back to the drunken throng, and the light.

The Jewel of Númenor

Read The Jewel of Númenor

(Nine Years Later.)

 

The courtyard, the corridors, were full of eyes. They stared at her with that look that ran over her skin like a distantly unpleasant caress, without the will or the ability to pierce it in order to get inside. She withstood them with a bland expression, perceiving the morbid curiosity, the unspoken questions, and also the admiration for her beauty like a cacophony of voices.

It was the first time she was seen in public, standing side by side with her parents and the royal family. Her mother, whose love was like a warm net whose grip on her limbs grew tighter the more she struggled against it, had opposed the idea since the beginning. The experience would disturb her too much, it was better if she stayed in the cool shade of her gardens instead of being subjected to the pitiless light and thousands of different noises and colours swarming around her frail body.

But Zimraphel was not frail: she had decided that she wanted this more than anything, and so she would get it. Her father had been delighted by her sudden cooperation, and gave her magnificent robes and jewels to wear. Zimraphel, in exchange, had put them on her body, and her mouth had smiled, and her head had bowed. The King had welcomed her with words of compliment that did not come from his mouth, but from him, and invited her to a place of honour in the procession. Zimraphel accepted even though she did not like him, because he smelled like an embalmed corpse under his purple and gold. A King should not die.

They made their way through courtyards, galleries and stairs, the eyes still chasing her wherever she went. At last they reached the balcony, and an onslaught of blinding light and roaring noise spilled over her head like red-hot melted iron. She covered it, wishing for a moment that she could be back in her gardens. But she was no coward, and she would not prove her mother right.

“What is the matter?” his father whispered next to her. It was an urgent whisper, an expression of fear that the rest of the Court could see her like this. What the Court thought was very important to him, though they were but men and women who couldn´t even cut a thought open to see what was inside. This paradox of lofty strength coupled with abject weakness disgusted her, as much as the grandness of royalty when it felt tracked and harassed by the shadow of death.

Slowly, she pried her hands away, and blinked. The radiance broke into colourful blurs, and the blurs broke into a million smaller pieces. To her astonishment, she realized that many of those pieces were people, dressed in vivid fabrics and pressed against each other. There were so many of them that it was impossible to determine where each of them finished and another began. Confusion threatened to undo her again, as the throng of bodies, of voices, of wishes and destinies grew and multiplied around her, and she would have been lost if it hadn´t been for her father´s grip.

“Make them leave”, she pleaded like a terrified child. He shook his head.

“Maybe she should wait inside...” someone whispered.

No!” she hissed, shaking away the hands that grabbed at her shoulders. He was there, somewhere, and she could not give up until she had seen him. The others did not matter. She had to silence them.

“They are insects”, she whispered, holding her hand before her face. “They are smaller than my finger.”

“That they are”, her mother cooed in a coaxing way, as if she was stupid and did not know the laws of perspective. “You do not have to worry about them, Zimraphel.”

“I do not.” Her voice became strained, as she kept trying to extricate herself from the turmoil. “I am higher than the Meneltarma, and taller than the tallest wave.” Like a litany, she repeated those words several times. “Higher than the Meneltarma and taller than the tallest wave. Higher than the Meneltarma, and taller than the tallest wave.”

And then it was over. The buzz became distant under her feet, and was swallowed by the waters.

Zimraphel looked down, and her mouth curved into a smile.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The procession was unlike anything she had seen with her eyes before that day. It resembled the greatness of the visions that she saw with the other eyes, the ones that had no eyelids, but while those were dominated by abrupt movement and confusion, this was orderly and posed no danger. In rapture, she leaned over the porphyry railing as line after line of soldiers with wreaths upon their brows marched below her, and dancers in robes of gauze, and men and beasts that carried all sorts of fascinating things, like skins of animals never seen before, casks of gold, gems and fragrant balms and weapons fashioned in strange shapes. There were living animals, too, large green birds, lions and tigers that gnawed at the bars of their cages and made people recoil in fear. In the place of honour, a large múmak, dressed in finery like a king, walked among eight men who yanked at the ropes that bound it in a painful effort to keep it on track. Zimraphel could feel that it was a baby, and was briefly shaken by its fright and confusion. The polished and gilded skull of an adult followed, with its tusks intact, to show the animal´s full size. It had been laid on a large chariot, pulled by ten stout horses. People stared at it and exclaimed in wonder, imagining what kind of body could have owned such a head, and produced such monstruous children.

Behind the animals came the prisoners, small and dark men who stumbled forwards while staring stupidly at their surroundings. Zimraphel looked at them, and suddenly felt the warm, viscous trickle of blood in her palms and the stench of decay in her nostrils. Shadows flashed before her eyes, and she reeled back with a cry.

“Do not be scared, my dear granddaughter”, the King said to her. “They are only barbarians.”

She nodded, furious with herself for showing weakness again. The prisoners, however, were like a black, gaping hole in the middle of the pleasing spectacle. She could not look at them. They were dead.

“Maybe she should leave...” her mother´s threat returned, pawing at her arm. Just then, somebody shouted.

“There!”

Zimraphel wrenched herself free from her mother, and leaned over the railing again. And lo! there he was, riding his white horse. Gold gleamed upon his head, and purple billowed in his wake as he smiled at the crowd that pushed and pressed around him, basking in their adoration. The shadows fled before him, leaving nothing but warmth and a heady feeling of giddiness.

He was back. She wanted to laugh. Everything shone around her.

“Let us go down and give our young hero the welcome he deserves”, Ar-Gimilzôr said. Zimraphel sent a last, long look over the railing, and gathered the folds of her green and silver robe to follow him downstairs.

Beside her, her father smiled with his mouth. He did not welcome the light, for he preferred the shadows and the dusty scrolls written by ghosts with no blood on their veins. Those scrolls spoke of a world where the sun did not shine, and of dead, forgotten people to whom he had given his love. Zimraphel could not read them, or understand their spidery writing, but she knew.

They made their way towards the First Courtyard, followed by the thousand courtiers of the Palace by order of rank. Everybody wanted to be there, from the highest priest to the meanest cup bearer, and take a look at the hero who had achieved a crushing victory over the Southern barbarians and dined on their capital. As he came in with his generals, everybody shouted and cheered, raising such noise as had never echoed in those quiet gardens before.

Since the time of Ar-Adunakhôr, this had been the first time that a scion of the royal family had fought in Middle-Earth. Pharazôn, too, had been the youngest to take arms, proving by far to be the most brilliant commander. Nine years ago, he had taken ship in Sor under no clear official capacity, regarded as little more than an unwelcome burden, and in that time he had become an undisputed warrior leader. His fearless tactics had brought great glory and riches to Númenor, and it was rumoured that the soldiers loved him and would follow him to their deaths.

Zimraphel could understand why. Since she was a girl, and she first laid eyes upon him in that garden, he had been able to make her fears go away. And what terrible fears they had been, of blood and heights and drowning, and a twin who held her hand in his frozen grip and tried to drag her into the darkness because he felt so alone. All this had been real to her, but not to him. They are just visions, he said, and whenever she was with him, they were.

“...trust the sacrifices at the Temple have proved favourable”, the King was saying at the moment. Pharazôn had dismounted to bow before him. At Ar-Gimilzôr´s other side, his parents were gazing at him in undisguised pride, and the Princess of the South smiled like a queen.

“They have. The Lord of Armenelos is very pleased”, Pharazôn replied, raising his face. For the first time, Zimraphel´s glance could meet his, and she saw many things flashing in the glint of his eye. There was pride, greater pride and confidence than ever before. For the gods protect me, and they will never let me down. And then, under that shining surface a darker, deeper thought full of defiance. What was right beyond the seas, why shouldn´t it be right here?

Zimraphel lowered her eyes with a thrill.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

She was not allowed to watch the rest of the celebrations, which became bloodier in the afternoon as the prisoners met their grisly deaths. Once more, she was sequestered in her quarters by cooing old women, but what would have angered and humiliated her before now felt too weak to even touch her. She sat quietly by the fountain, reading empty words and planning her escape. It would be easier than ever, as everybody in the Palace would be drunk or celebrating.

That night, as she lay on her bed pretending to be asleep and the women had already left the room, a sharp noise roused her. She stood on her feet at once, searching for the window with trembling hands. Pressing her eyes against the lattice, she peered outside.

The gardens were shrouded in the darkness of the new moon. Next to the place where the fountain gurgled peacefully, she heard someone move. Her breath caught in her throat.

As quickly as she could, she fumbled for a cloak and crossed her nurse´s room, tiptoeing over her sleeping body. Her eyes soon grew used to the faint glow of the stars, and the lines it drew in the dark around her. Back when she was a child, she had wandered here and there, touching all those lines to make sure that nothing lurked underneath, though once she was back in bed they would always spring upon her again. Sometimes they had hidden in that fountain, deep, deep down, and her hand had grazed their drowned bodies before she was pulled up, wet and trembling.

He, however, did not hide.

“I... I m-missed you.” she said, blabbering like a girl in her excitement. It was the first time in so many years that he had come looking for her. “You were so far... I could not see you. I could not see you at all!”

His eyes gleamed in the night as he smiled.

“You were not at the evening feast.”

“They would not let me see the blood.” Fools. She had seen more blood than any of them, blood and water, which was clearer and deeper and more terrible. “But I only wanted to see you.”

Her quiet voice was almost drowned by the sound of the running fountain. He drew even closer, as if to hear her better. His chest came to her nose, for she was shorter than other women and he had grown tall. Lowering his chin, he gazed into her eyes.

“Your jewel helped me. It saved my life in Middle-earth.”

“So it did!” She beamed. “Back then, I knew. One day, you would be in danger, and it would help you.”

He nodded to this, suddenly thoughtful.

“Do your... visions tell you what is going to happen? Everything?”

Her smile died.

“No”, she mumbled, evasively. She did not like those questions.

“But, can you have them at will?” he insisted. Zimraphel shook her head in determined silence.

“I am sorry”, he backtracked, in a placating tone. “I saw the King´s leaf growing in Umbar, and had to defend it against people who wanted to have visions. They think that you can see the future just by burning it. I wondered what you would say about that.”

“I am not like them”, she said, in a proud voice. “I see things because they are my birthright.”

He tensed. And not mine, he thought, but then the wall that was growing between them crumbled to smoke, and he smiled at her.

“Will you help me, then? Tell me to step to the left before a thunderbolt falls on my head?” He laid his arm over her shoulder, and her heart jumped in her chest. “A commander cannot go around having visions in the middle of a battlefield, but he still needs them.  Back when I lived in the Palace they made me uneasy, but in the world outside, many unexpected things happen. Together, we would be invincible, would we not? My mother could be right, and this would be what the gods intended from the beginning. That is why they made us fall in love with each other, not because they hated us... but because we are fated to be together.”

Zimraphel had barely been listening, as she was too busy withstanding the onslaught of different emotions triggered by his touch, and his vibrant body against hers. Suddenly, a drop of hesitation had penetrated the flow of his brash talk, betraying him. She froze, watching wide-eyed as the ripples filled the air, then vanished.

Pharazôn could not pretend he had not noticed the effect of his last words on her. Muttering something, he retreated in the shadows to hide the red in his face.

“Pharazôn...” she whispered. Please, do not leave again. Do not regret.

And then he was back, kissing her. It was a long kiss that tasted of wine, and fire, and earth. Zimraphel responded hungrily, the longing of all those years rushing back to her.

The walls had crumbled. All the walls in the world had crumbled.

That night, lying on the wet ground, she could see nothing but him.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Try holding it like this.”

The boy nodded, rearranging his fingers as instructed over the pommel of the wooden sword. His opponent, meanwhile, was taking advantage of the momentary distraction to let his own weapon hang at his side, his glance drawn irresistibly towards the shadows under the corner beam. Halideyid followed it, and for a moment the man who sat there seemed to shift under his hood. Frowning, he looked away.

He had come in the middle of the lesson, and took a seat among them without waiting to be invited. He had not even revealed his face, but seemed to be greatly interested by the way Halideyid taught the boys. Involuntary remembrances had stolen into the young man´s mind, of night lessons in a backyard long ago, disrupting his concentration and putting him on edge.

He berated himself for it. If that man was his father, he would have known. His father, too, would have come as soon as he arrived in Armenelos, instead of reveling drunkenly for three days and nights with the other soldiers before he remembered about them. After the first day since the Prince Pharazôn´s return, he and his mother had given up hope.

No, this was just some intruder who probably wanted to cause trouble. He had been confronted with those before, people sent by the Guard for the most part. They had never forgiven him for leaving them and setting up his own school.

“We are done for today”, he declared. On other days, the boys would have bolted off, pushing each other and throwing their wooden swords in a disordered pile, but today they seemed fascinated by the stranger. Forming groups that whispered furiously as they queued up to leave their weapons and take back their cloaks, they slowly trickled away, contriving ways to pass as close to him as possible and take a good look at his face.

Halideyid felt an urge to push them out forcefully. He walked towards the pile of swords to arrange them, and fingered one while he made sure that each and every one of the students were getting past the door in safety. Only after the last of them had jumped down the steps, he turned towards the man.

“May I ask who are you, and what is your business here?” he asked. Though he was on the corner at the other side of the door, he could hear the stranger´s laugh ring clear.

“Some welcome that was! I am a soldier, not a thug.”

Most soldiers are but better trained thugs, Halideyid thought, but said nothing. Instead, he approached the man, fixing him with a searching glance.

“What am I expected to think, when you will not even show your face?” he asked. The man shrugged, ignoring the challenge; the hood stayed where it was.

“I just sailed from Umbar, and I know your father. Is that business enough for you?”

Halideyid froze. He was about to lower his guard, but in the last moment prudence won over his racing heart.

“You have come by mistake, then. My father is not in Umbar.”

“Your father Hannishtart is in Umbar. Or, to be more accurate, somewhere in Haradric territory.” the man replied. “Some troops were still deployed when the Prince came back from the capital and was summoned to Armenelos, and he was with them.”

Halideyid contemplated this in tense silence. He remembered his last, and only, conversation with his father, the reasons he had alleged for his secrecy, and what he had revealed about himself. Then, and only then, he let the worry, the unanswered questions flood to the surface.

“Was that the last news you had of him?” Somewhere in Haradric territory... “Are you sure he is alive?”

“I am sure he would not allow himself to be killed“, the man shrugged. “He may be back in Umbar by now. It was a shame that we could not wait for him, but the King wanted the feast to be in Midsummer, and Midsummer it had to be.”

“So they would celebrate victory before the war is over?” Halideyid asked, frustration taking hold of him. “Is leaving business unfinished the custom in Umbar?”

The man straightened up, and Halideyid thought he had made him angry. He looked at the stranger´s standing form, trying to gauge him. Though not nearly as tall as Halideyid, his shoulders were broader, and there was something intimidating about him. It might have been the way he acted, that brash disdain for normal rules that Halideyid had seen in soldiers before, and which more often than not ended in bloody incidents. But there was also something else.

“I am sorry”, he apologized, without lowering his glance. “That has nothing to do with you.”

The stranger turned away, and began pacing around the room.

“This is a nice school you have here. Thriving, by the looks of it.” He stopped in front of the swords, leaned forwards to pick one, and considered it for a moment before throwing it away. The pile collapsed with a loud clatter. “You have never fought anyone to the death, have you?”

“If I had, I would be dead or in prison, and I am neither.” Halideyid replied evenly. He would not allow himself to be distracted. “If you have any message, any letter from my father...”

“He has.” The man did not even seem to have heard him, or registered his interruption. “And he has killed many. He does not like it, though. I think that he would come back and teach children with you if he could. On the other hand, there he is safe from other kinds of ugliness. Nobody cares who he is, or whether he has a family hidden somewhere.”

Halideyid frowned.

“He told you about his conversation with me?”

This time, the stranger laughed.

“Many times! I have lost count. He is a really annoying drunk.” The laughter died, and there was a short silence. “He has changed much in these years, and will change more yet. But his wish to see you and your mother again remains the same. Back when he was new in Umbar and his balls were on a knot about doing certain things, that was what allowed him to build a resolve.”

Halideyid did not answer. He felt shaken by realization, so much that words would only have betrayed him, or proved meaningless.

“I have been watching you. In spite of your size, you are skilled. You would make a good soldier”, the man continued. The hood had almost fallen back by now, and for a moment he could see brown eyes staring at him appraisingly. “Have you ever felt the wish to join him in the mainland?”

It would be a lie to say that he had not thought of it, especially when students were scarce or the Guard scared them into leaving his class. But considering impossible things was but an idle pastime.

“I have a responsibility towards my mother. I cannot leave her alone.”

“You sent your father´s providers away, but they could be back”, the man argued, apparently aware of things nobody was supposed to know about. Not even his father. “Does this school even make enough money to support the both of you?”

“I have everything I need.” Halideyid replied, his tone a little too cutting. “But I was not speaking of material goods. If I left, both my mother´s husband and son would be risking their lives in distant lands. I will not do that to her.”

“Well, then.” A shrug of resignation. “He would have been furious anyway. He doesn´t think that Umbar is a place for his precious son.”

Halideyid considered this, turning away to hide the emotions that may have showed through his face. He was not at ease with that soldier, though his words were honest. Or almost honest.

“If that is true, I would not do something he may disapprove of.”

“Such a good boy.” The stranger laughed again. “Are you waiting for him to choose a wife for you, too?”

Halideyid ignored the condescending tone, though ignoring the question was harder. Women were a subject he did not like to broach at all. Too many had laughed at him or called him a freak because of his size, more than enough to make him wary of approaching one.

“I am still young”, he replied simply. That was all his father and his father´s friends needed to know.

“Well.” The man pulled his cloak up on his shoulders, and looked at him. His face was perfectly visible now, dark brown curls tied on the back of his head, and handsome features touched by a glint of metal. “Thank you for this conversation. I will be able to give him plenty of information once I´m back next month, and then he might forgive me for having to stay behind.”

Halideyid blinked. So that was what he had wanted?

He was feeling guilty, after all.

“Would you be so kind as to bring him letters from my mother and me?” he asked. The man thought for a moment, then nodded.

“Of course. Why not? Running errands for a captain in Umbar would be a way to make a useless trip worthwhile. Asides from Númenorean women, of course.” he joked. He strode across the room, stopping at the threshold to point at Halideyid warningly. “You will be waiting for me at this hour with the letters, two nights before the end of the month. Otherwise, I will not take them.”

“I am very grateful.” Halideyid´s throat ran dry as he bowed low. “My lord prince.”

The Prince of the South looked as if a battalion of Orcs had just appeared before him. He stared at Halideyid, speechless.

“You...” he spoke, with much effort. “How did you know....?”

The younger man looked down. He wondered why his heart was racing now, when he had known the truth for most of the conversation. But such was the power of words, that not until they were spoken did the things they named feel real.

“My father spoke of you, too. The King poisoned my food and sent men to cut my throat in my sleep, but his grandson befriended me in spite of who I was”, he quoted. “I can put two and two together. My lord.” he added quickly. The prince looked even more shocked, if that was possible. Only after a while, he managed to shrug it away, but the way in which he looked at Halideyid had changed.

“You have some cheek, then.”

“I am sorry. I am really sorry. I did not... mean to offend you.”

What had he done? He should have known better enough than to fool around with someone important, much more important even than the commander of the Gate Guards. But he had wanted to know about his father, and the Prince had also wanted to tell him, and, as it seemed, both had felt that only the soldier could do that.

Suddenly, the Prince laughed.

“Now I really have plenty of information to give Hannishtart!” He turned away and headed outside; the wooden planks creaked under his strides as he pulled his hood over his face again. “Two days before the departure. Do not forget!”

Halideyid´s glance followed him as he shrunk to a small, black dot and disappeared in the night. A feeling of unreality washed over him, and suddenly he noticed that his hand was red from grasping the wooden sword.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The change had not gone unremarked in the Western Wing. Women gathered in every corner to whisper and discuss the abrupt improvement in the Princess´s mood. She smiled and addressed pleasant words to everyone, did not have difficult nights, and a gardener even claimed she had heard her hum a song while she read a book under the shade of the vines. Her nurse maintained that it had been a good idea to “take the poor child out”, with such an air of authority that no one dared remind her of her original opposition, and even wondered whether they had dreamed it.

One night, as she checked on the Princess before the lights were put away, the old woman saw her lying on her bed, the raven strands of her hair spreading over the silver thread of the cover. Her eyes were wide open, and they followed the movements of her finger as it played with a gold and red trinket. The nurse could identify it as a ruby ring, too large for the Princess to wear in her small hand, before it quickly disappeared inside her fist.

“Oh, that is a beautiful ring!” The old woman hid her surprise carefully; putting her on the defensive had never yielded any good results. “I had never seen it before.”

Could it be? Her thoughts raced ahead of her, though she tried to remain focused. The Princess was never alone. She was rarely out of the Western Wing, where many women surrounded her day and night. Even at the victory celebration of the Prince Pharazôn, she had been with her parents all the time. She may be a beautiful and noble princess, but she was so frail, so unstable... almost like a small child.

Zimraphel´s eyes narrowed, as if she could guess her thoughts.

“The King gave it to me.”

“Oh! I see.” The nurse averted her glance, ashamed. Turning towards one of the curtains, she fidgeted, pretending to fuss with the way it fell. That is very good. Very good indeed.”

“Leave”, the Princess ordered, her good mood gone for the first time in days. The old woman bowed.

“Have sweet dreams, my dear”, she mumbled awkwardly before she left.

 

The Fall

Read The Fall

The King is dead!

Smoke veils his eyes, his glorious body is consumed by the flames.

The King is dead!

Darkness shrouds his brow, and he will not be seen in this world again.

The King is dead!

Now he treads the shadow paths, not to be seen in this world again.

He struggled against the chains that held his arms, desperate to find a way to smother the chants of the multitude. Beads of sweat trickled down his forehead as he fought, only to become further entangled and fall deeper into the darkness. He knew that he had to get out, open his eyes and see before it covered his face, but he could not. He needed... needed...

My lord! My lord, please, wake up!

Suddenly, he froze. That voice wasn´t part of the chorus, it addressed him with the aggressiveness of immediacy. Everything else became blurred, as his struggles became weaker and died with a shiver. His eyes, those that were like chasms in his face were open, gazing upon the waking world.

Darkness. Darkness around him, darkness outside him. Darkness upon Númenor.

His terror knew no bounds. It was too late, he had failed. They all had failed, and there was no dawn left to free him.

My lord! Can you see me?

“No.” His voice was hoarse. “No. Everything is gone.”

Bring in the light!

Useless. There was no light left in the world. No light left if he failed, and he had failed. The King had died.

My lord, my King, can you see the light?

What had he done wrong? What had he overlooked? If only he could know... if only he could see...

“The leaf”, he hissed. “Bring me the leaf.”

But, my lord... you are feverish... you are in no shape...now, let the doctor look at you...

How could they not understand? He had to see!

“The leaf. Now!” he shouted, trying to break free from the chains that had turned into the hands of wretched people. He understood now; they were trying to stop him from seeing. They were in league with him, with his son, who wanted to destroy Númenor.

“I am the King! If you hinder me, you will suffer my wrath!” he threatened. The hands loosened their grip, and some of them left. But two hands stayed, both pressing his right forearm.

Please, drink this. It will make you feel better.

A warm and sweet smell reached his nostrils, and he recoiled. This was not what he needed. This was an insidious trap designed to stop him from seeking the leaf. It would make him sink deeper and deeper, and forget.

He needed the leaf. He tried to grab at some point of support that would prevent him from slipping. He needed to know.

The King is dead! The chorus sang around him. The King is dead!

Gimilzôr fell.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

His body screamed for the comfort of the bed, yet Ar-Gimilzôr had made two chamber courtiers carry him to a chair in a private audience room. He had received his younger son and daughter-in-law with his head propped against pillows, but that would not do with him. Inziladûn would see him out of bed, or see him not at all.

Before the audience began, Gimilzôr beckoned one of the two men and ordered him to check whether his hair, diadem and robes were in order, and his face paint well spread. After the man had checked thoroughly, the King told him to stand near the curtain, out of earshot but able to see everything that happened in the room. He would not be at a disadvantage, or take any chances in his own quarters.

Still, a voice whispered in the back of his head, it was Inziladûn´s eyes, his bright, piercing eyes that could unravel secrets which had never been spoken aloud, the only thing that had ever put him at a disadvantage. Now, even as he heard the approaching footsteps stop before him, and the rustle of whatever cheap robes his elder son had decided to wear as an insult to his majesty, a part of him felt calmer than it ever had.

“My King, I heard you were taken ill tonight...”

“There is no need for concern”, Ar-Gimilzôr cut him at once. “It has passed.”

“But you have gone blind!” his son protested, his voice moving closer in his direction. “Surely there is need for...”

“Stay where you are!” Gimilzôr hissed. “I did not give you leave to approach.”

He did not hear any more movement in his vicinity, so after a while he allowed his aching back to sink an inch further down the chair. If he had been able to see, he thought, his head would be turning.

After a while, it was Inziladûn who broke the silence. His voice was low, almost a whisper, and yet it carried a note of pride.

“Do I have leave to speak, then?”

Ar-Gimilzôr nodded. Reduced to a mere voice, his son´s pride seemed almost laughable. It was undistinguishable from the other voices that surrounded him, dressing him or carrying him or giving him ointments and medicines.

“I know what you think of me, and my motives. I know that you will not heed my advice just because it comes from my mouth”, he began. “But you have ruled Númenor twice as long as any other king since the ancient times. Even back then, when Men were stronger and wiser, it was the custom to retire when one grew weary, and kings enjoyed a peaceful old age.”

“You are crafty, but shameless.” Gimilzôr laughed, and his laughter sent sharp stabs through his abdomen. “You pretend to care about my health, and yet you are saying “Give the Sceptre to me”. And what then, I wonder? Should I kill myself to spare you the sight of my unsightly decline, as your friends the traitors of Andúnië used to do?”

“It is not me you should worry about, but yourself”, Inziladûn retorted, unfazed by the accusation. “That was indeed the custom in ancient times, and I hope I will be strong enough to follow the right path when the time comes. I will not suffer needlessly through a greedy desire to live more than the lifespan appointed by the Creator.”

“Fine words! Will your gods tell you when you should put an end to your life? Or will the friends of those gods be wise enough to tell you in their stead? Will disagreeing with them be the first sign of your decrepitude? Oh, and then I wonder if the Númenor you are so busy planning, the Númenor where everybody will fall back into the snares of the Elves and the Baalim, will force you to comply with their request!” Ar-Gimilzôr spat. “You think you are wise, but you are a fool. A fool who will stumble on a loose stone while trying to count all the stars. I must protect Númenor from your foolishness, and this is why I will not step down while there is strength in my body and my mind is sharp.”

It was sharp now, as sharp as it hadn´t been in a long time. Especially when faced with his eldest son, he had often felt his thoughts blur in his head as he tried to hide them, and anticipate the next movement. But not now. He had worked on this for years. Everything was in place... everything except...

He winced, remembering last night´s terrible feeling of having missed something. It could have been an irrational fear, caused by his illness, and yet....

“It pains me that you have chosen to see me as an enemy. You exhaust yourself working against me, and yet we could have worked together in harmony.”

Inziladûn sounded sincerely regretful. How presumptuous, Gimilzôr thought, his chest inflamed by anger.

“How dare you lay the blame on me! It is you, who decided to deny your ancestors and your father and destroy everything we had built! It is you, who spat on our gods and befriended the same people who would have destroyed our bloodline and seized the Sceptre! It is you who...!” His hands began to shake, and he pressed them against the armrests. Ride the pain, breathe calmly... do not show weakness. “But you will not succeed. Your endeavour is cursed by the gods.”

“I do not deny my ancestors”, Inziladûn argued. He did not remember how long it was since they last argued, or even if they had ever argued before. The relationship between them had been built with silences louder than any word, with secret conspirations and a long, unspoken feud. “My ancestors, and yours, believed in the same things I do now, and the Powers that protected them will not curse me.”

“I could have you killed for admitting your guilt. I should have had you killed when you first admitted it.”

“So why did you not?” Inziladûn was losing his temper as well; everything that had always stayed buried under the silences was threatening to come to the surface now. “Because I was a child? You have killed children since.”

His voice broke so slightly, and yet Gimilzôr perceived it as clearly as the notes of a popular tune. Blindness helped him to listen, as sharply as he had seen before. Inziladûn had long kept this hidden in his heart, together with the accusation that he could never utter, but the yearning to know the truth from his father´s lips had remained unquenched.

The truth that did not exist. Gimilzôr winced. There was no truth, just a man who followed the capricious impulses of his heart against his better judgement, and tried to atone for it too late. A man who had felt less love for his unborn grandson than for his born son, even though he had already doomed Númenor to war and strife with his first decision.

There was no truth, only failure.

“You are out of line”, he hissed. “I may be old and blind, but I remain King.”

There was a long silence, for Inziladûn seemed to be having difficulties reining his temper after having gone that far. It must be excruciating, Gimilzôr thought, to be brought to the point of uttering the accusation he had been forced to swallow for years only to be deprived of an answer.

“And know this...” He paused to take breath, wondering how much more would his body be able to take before it collapsed. “I will not die unprepared. Even after you hold the Sceptre in your hands and wield its power, three hundred years will not be enough to undo everything I have done. When you reach old age and your limbs wither, you will not resign your Sceptre or give your life away, but crawl to the altars of your outlandish gods to beg for more years of life.”

The last words had been hissed like a curse, and as he uttered them, Gimilzôr realized that they were one. It was a curse that had been patiently wrought through years of strategies and alliances, designed to endure and track every one of his son´s steps like a shadow. It would be fought, both in secret and openly, with force and with craftiness, but in the end, though it might diminish and waver, it would endure. Gimilkhâd in Armenelos, Melkyelid´s family in Gadir, their associates in Umbar, the priests in the Great Temples and Azzibal in Sor. Pharazôn in the mainland.

Amandil in Andúnië.

They would all play their part.

“You may leave now.”

Inziladûn obeyed in silence this time, as if mulling over his father´s words. Before the footsteps disappeared in the distance, however, he stopped again.

“Father”, he said. Ar-Gimilzôr froze. The last time he had heard that word from his son´s lips had been long ago, so much that he couldn´t even remember when. “Father, I...”

“Leave!” he yelled, shaken. The voice came hoarse from his throat, and he doubled over in a fit of coughing. Footsteps hurried towards him, and he tensed, wondering if his son would dare....

“My lord King! Try to breathe easily, the doctor is on his way. Now, now...”

Taken by a sudden repugnance, Gimilzôr broke free from the man´s obsequious touch. His son had left.

Gone.

Away. I did not call for you.” he spat, mastering the cough. The man retreated as suddenly as he had come.

As he was left alone, the King pressed his hands against his face, and wept.

 

*     *     *     *    *

 

Long after the crisis had passed, and he was back in bed, the small, insidious doubt would not let him rest. It gnawed at him as he sat in the dark, pondering his night visions and relating them to the conversation with his son. While he did so, the yearn to burn the leaves and find clarity in them increased, until it became almost unbearable. He requested them, ignoring the nagging of the doctor, who claimed that it would bring further harm upon his condition.

“This thing calls to people. Once it takes hold of them, they cannot resist its lure. They will want more and more, and feel lost whenever they are not burning it”, the man said. “I have seen it happen with seers and priests...”

“Those are lesser men”, Gimilzôr cut him with a growl. He would not hear anything else, and when the man went as far as to suggest that the leaves could have been the cause of his blindness, he threw him out and summoned the old Palace Priest. Lord Hannon was eager to be of service, and he ordered the preparations to be started at once. The King was carried to the Fire Chapel on a litter, such as were used outside the Gates, to prevent the courtiers from seeing his weakness. Once there, two attendants grasped his arms, and with their help he could advance a few quivering steps before falling on his knees before the altar.

The stone steps were hard, biting his knees with a coldness that contrasted sharply with the heat of the fire in his face. He shivered and sweated, unable to remain erect even as he was. But he could not allow others to help him, not before the Great God.

“King of Armenelos”, he chanted with a trembling voice, “Lord of Fire, King of Visions.”

“King of Visions”, a murmur answered behind his back.

“Hear my prayer, grant me knowledge and sight.”

“Grant me sight.” the echo sang. Slowly, he extended a hand, letting it crawl through the stone in search of the golden pot. Someone pressed it against his fingers, and he grabbed it as a starving man would grab a piece of bread.

As he held it, he realized that he was unable to raise it to his face, as he needed the support of hands and feet. At a loss, he hesitated, but the fumes were already reaching his nostrils, awakening and sharpening his senses. The God was upon him, and He revealed to him that nothing else mattered, that the dignity of his kingship was but dirt at the feet of the One King who had existed before him, and would exist after the descendants of his descendants had relinquished their Sceptres and crumbled to dust. A pale reflection of immortal perfection, distorted image of the Lord That Is.

Ar-Gimilzôr fell forwards, burying his face on the fuming pot like a dog on its food bowl. There was a stir around him, the sound of worried whispers and a priest hissing to stay back. They reached his ears as if from another room, or another world; he had left them behind.

Here. Come here.

A voice that he had known since childhood guided him. Once, it had tormented him, hurting him to penetrate his proud self and gain the mastery of his body, but no more. Now, no pain was greater than being left on his own, a shell of the man he had once been, and the divine joining that raised him above this misery had turned into a welcome ecstasy. He followed it eagerly, no longer caring that, down there, his body was too weak to even struggle to its feet.

Poor blind cripple, lying at the foot of the altar. A dazzling onslaught of light filled his eyes with tears, and he blinked them away.

Behold the real light. Down there, you are all blind, you are all buried in darkness.

“Show me the way”, he begged. “Show me how I can save Númenor.”

Little by little, he grew accustomed to the light, and the haze began to dissipate. As it did, he saw two men standing in front of him. One had piercing grey eyes, and a beard grew over his chin, streaked with grey hairs. The other looked like a younger Gimilzôr, with an elaborately curled black mane and black eyes that did not, however, show any of his shrewd cunning. They were veiled, lost in feelings of inadequacy, jealous thoughts and the always reassuring embrace of alcohol.

His sons. The two serpents that would fight over Númenor, because he had made it so. One of them had everything, the gifts of gods and men thrown upon him like a bejeweled cloak, but he stood alone before a raging sea. The other, who was nothing but a shadow and a name, would prevail in the end. And once that both had surrendered to the Doom and their bodies lay under the Meneltarma, there would be only one serpent.

The visions dissolved like sand blown by the desert winds, and in their place one single figure emerged. Large, black eyes rose to meet his, and he froze. His soul was filled by a sudden dismay, which crept inside his entrails like a cold draught.

Zimraphel smiled.

“No!” he hissed. “It cannot be!”

She did not move or disappear, but stood there, as if challenging him. One of her hands was raised before her chin, and he caught a glint of red in one of the fingers. Looking closely, he could distinguish a ring, set with a ruby between golden encircling serpents. It was an old family heirloom, and he remembered wearing it once, until he gave it away to Gimilkhâd... but no, that was not right. He had seen it in Gimilkhâd´s hand, and then on his son Pharazôn´s, but originally he had given it to Inziladûn. He suddenly remembered it, with such clarity of detail that it seemed like it had been yesterday. How could he have forgotten?

And how could that be? How could Inziladûn have passed this ring to Gimilkhâd, his rival serpent? How could she have it now?

You felt that you had overlooked something, Ar-Gimilzôr King of Men. Now you know.

Zimraphel gazed at the ring lovingly. She brought it to her lips, and kissed the serpents. Suddenly, Gimilzôr´s eyes became more aware of their chiseled heads, and the minute detail of their fangs and their scale-covered coils. It was as if they were growing larger, or closer to his sight.

And then, they started to move. Their heads were raised to face each other, tongues hissing between their teeth as they prepared to strike. One of them darted forwards, but instead of mauling the enemy throat, it coiled around it. The other serpent did not flinch, but embraced its once rival until Gimilzôr saw but one single body where there had been two.

One serpent.

And then, he understood. Realization dawned upon him, first like a terrible certainty that robbed him of any coherent thought, and, once that his mind reacted, like a powerful feeling of revulsion for the divine will.

It had been long since Gimilzôr had rebelled against the God King. The last time had been when he was made to kill his grandson and spare that of the traitor of Andúnië, and he had almost forgotten the price. He felt himself fall from the heights they had reached, discarded like a piece of chattel after it broke. His limbs connected with the frozen stone floor with a shattering impact, and pain, excruciating pain racked them as he lay there.

My lord King!

He tried to move, to speak, but he could not. The light, the glorious light had been taken away from him. There was nothing left... nothing.

Somebody held him, pulling him up, but he could not feel their hands.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

She was no stranger to being summoned to the King´s quarters, even at the most awkward hours of the night. Sometimes he was assailed by doubt, and then he would share his concerns with her. She was the one he trusted the most, a woman, as he used to say, who was both sharp of mind and touched by the gods. Though she belonged to a short-lived merchant lineage, and hailed from barbarian shores, the Goddess had granted her knowledge of things that even they, with their visions and their fumes, could not discern.

This time, however, she could not help feeling uneasy as she told her women to dress her in red silk and braid her hair with gold and left the Southern Wing in haste. Of late, the King hadn´t been himself: years had taken their toll on him, and he had become frail and bitter. That very morning, they had hurried to his bedside only to discover that he had lost his sight. As she saw him then, pale and lying back on his pillow while his eyes gazed at a ceiling that he could not see, she had known that her direst battles were drawing close.

Her feeling of unease increased, mingled with surprise, when she walked through the Jade Gallery and caught a glimpse of the young Princess of the West between the columns. She was standing in the garden at the other side, as if waiting to be ushered in. Neither her father nor her mother were anywhere to be seen.

The Princess of the South signaled the women to remain behind, and stepped inside the Outer Garden. Zimraphel acknowledged her presence by smiling vaguely, but she did not say a word. She seemed more interested in following the movements of the bright red carps in the pond than in discussing the reason for their summons.

“You may enter”, a voice declared from the antechamber. Melkyelid gathered the folds of her robe to cross the garden, and heard the younger woman follow at a slower pace. Nobody else was there; nobody else was expected.

She did not like that.

Asides from being the wife of her father´s younger brother, Melkyelid had no other official connection to Zimraphel. They had never been seen together, or stood inside the same room except for the rare public ceremony that the volatile princess was allowed to attend. Of their other dealings nobody knew... or did they?

Her heart beating in her chest, Melkyelid bowed at the threshold of the King´s chamber and proceeded to walk in. She had to do a great effort not to turn her nose at the smell, acrid with sweat and medicine. Two men were carrying a basin and towels outside.

“Come closer”, a hoarse voice ordered from the bed. Melkyelid obeyed, forcing herself to remain calm at the spectacle that was offered to her eyes. Ar-Gimilzôr lay there, looking like a broken doll which had been discarded upon the covers. His eyes were larger than ever, almost protruding from his thin and wrinkled face, which was raised a painful inch as she approached. The rest of his body did not -could not?- move, though his fingers twitched upon his chest.

He looked much worse than he had that morning, so much that she guessed that something had happened in between. Bowing again, she swallowed.

“My King, I hurried to your side as soon as I received the summons”, she recited. As she did so, she heard a rustle of robes, and Zimraphel stopped at her side. She watched her grandfather in wide-eyed silence.

“There is no time. No time”, Ar-Gimilzôr croaked. He seemed to be in an agitated state, but when Melkyelid leaned forwards solicitously his look surprised her. It was as purposeful and formidable as it had been in better days, back when he was young and could see; the look of a king.

“Your son” he spat, “is bedding his cousin.”

Melkyelid rarely lost her composure, or showed a weakness, but this time she could not help herself. Taken by sudden terror, she flinched.

He did not need more.

“And you knew it. You knew it and turned a blind eye to their incestuous crime”, he hissed. “What am I saying? You helped them! You did what you could to make them fall in each other´s arms and keep it a secret from everybody in the Palace. You...” His body was racked by a shiver, which made his fingers twitch even more. “That was your plan, was it not?”

The Princess of the South listened to the accusations in a dazed silence. She did not know what to say, how to react to this slip that could ruin everything. For a moment, she surrendered to the sick fascination of watching the downfall of all she had built, like a sand castle crumbling before the Sea.

It was only a moment. Realizing the danger, she bit her tongue, and the pain helped her regain  focus. She muttered a silent prayer to the Goddess, asking her to preserve what mattered most.

“Yes, my lord King”, she declared. Her voice did not tremble, at least this prayer had been answered. “It was my plan. I knew that the Princess and my son were in love, and understood it as a sign of the Goddess. I knew that this love was meant to be aided, not thwarted. My son was meant to inherit the Sceptre after the death of his uncle, and restore the ways of the gods to Númenor. This was the only way.”

“It is not. Zimraphel cannot inherit the Sceptre. She is a woman. Moreover, her mind and body are... they are frail, she is not fit, she cannot rule!”

Next to them, the younger woman did not seem fazed by their exchange, or by the words spoken about her as if she was not present. She looked at the wall mosaics, absorbed by thoughts of her own.

“Her father would have married her to one of the kinsmen of the Andúnië lord, his ally”, Melkyelid objected.  “And, through that marriage bond, they would sit upon the throne of Númenor!”

This gave the King some pause. For a while he remained silent, his brow furrowed in thought.

“You claim that this is the will of the gods, and not human plotting. But the Goddess would never condone incest”, he argued. “It goes against her own laws!”

“Does it?” she retorted. “I have known other peoples who worship Her in Middle-earth, and none of them follow that law! The former king of the barbarians who live in the Bay, a pious man blessed with every fortune, was husband to his cousin. What, o King, if this is like the laws on illegitimate children in Ar-Adunakhôr´s time? A custom that a different race established in ages past, brandished by our enemies to thwart us? Would the Goddess, who saved my life when I was born and to whom I consecrated my life, blind and misguide me in this manner? Would she and the Great God, the one I am not allowed to name, prefer Númenor to fall in the hands of their enemies, and suffer their temples to be abandoned and destroyed by the impious?”

Realizing that she had gone too far, Melkyelid fell silent, and breathed deeply. Gimilzôr and Zimraphel were staring at her in silence, and it struck her then that both young woman and old man looked strangely similar, like statues left behind by a forgotten race.

She breathed again.

“In any case, if there is wrong in it, the blame is mine”, she said, her tone even again. “My son would have fought his desires and turned his back to temptation if I had not convinced him that they were sent by the gods.”

Ar-Gimilzôr nodded. For the first time since the start of the conversation his body stirred, but he did not move.

“We must be quick”, he declared abruptly. “There is no time.”

Melkyelid´s eyes widened a little.

“Do you mean...?” She let her voice trail away, in hidden trepidation. Gimilzôr was growing agitated again, and for a moment she had the mad thought that their argument had been nothing but a dream.

“Quick. We must summon your son back. He is in Gadir... fourteen days of travel if the Goddess is with him. Fourteen days, yes, and three to Armenelos.”

“He will not come in time.”

She had not spoken since she entered the room, and they had almost forgotten that she could speak. Therefore, her words caught them unaware, striking them like the clear chime of a bell.

“What do you mean?” Melkyelid asked. The King, however, turned away from his granddaughter, focusing in the urgency of his plan.

“If I, the King, marry them myself, her father will not be able to oppose it. And if it happens in private, it will not cause a stir. The folk of Armenelos will grow used to seeing them together, and by the time Pharazôn takes the Sceptre...”

“Marry them?” The Goddess was with her. “I... I understand! I will call him back at once.”

“Do it now!” the King urged, his initial opposition all but gone. And then Melkyelid knew how he had learned about it, and what had he been doing during the day that had affected him so badly. The Goddess was not the only deity who had helped her; a greater one, who could not hear her prayers, had seen fit to intervene.

This thought heartened her.

“I beg your leave from your presence”, she said with a low, ceremonious bow. He began a vague nod, but at that moment Zimraphel approached to take her own leave.

“Grandfather...”

His head froze in mid-movement at the sound of her voice, and his blind eyes narrowed, then widened as if in shock.

“Inzilbêth”, he whispered. “Inzilbêth...”

The young Princess of the West bolted away, and now it was Melkyelid who had to follow her quick steps past the people who bustled in the antechamber and back to the garden, where they finally stopped. A sudden unease had cast its shadow upon the Princess of the South, and as she gazed at her companion, she saw tears glistening in her cheek.

“Why are you crying, Zimraphel?” she asked. The young woman shook her head.

“He will not come in time”, she repeated, distraught. “He will not.”

Gathering her robes, she disappeared into the night, and a shiver pierced Melkyelid´s heart as she stood alone before the moonlit pond.

 

Rebirth of the King

Read Rebirth of the King

He heard the deep, rumbling sound of the gates being closed by the strength of many men. Footsteps echoed in the tunnel, with the distant quality of something that belonged to a different world, the world of the living. Then they, too, faded, and silence became absolute.

As he sat on the stone floor, he could hear the beating of his own heart against his chest, the labouring of his lungs that seemed to chafe under the oppressive darkness. The unseen weight of the Meneltarma was upon this narrow chamber, a crushing feeling that brought heaviness to his limbs and bowed his head until his nose almost touched his chest. A single candle flickered on the other side, but it did not bring light, only a blinding gleam in the midst of the impenetrable night.

Panic sizzled in his entrails, threatening to erupt and blow the walls of his self-restraint. Why had he allowed them to do this to him, the worshippers of an evil shadow who had been falsely crowned as a god? Why had he submitted to their barbarous ways, instead of putting an end to them here and now? If he had seized what was his, they wouldn´t have been able to oppose him. He would sit on his throne, wield the Sceptre and clean island and mainland from the filth of the Hundred Temples.

Soon, however, his sanity struggled to recover the upper hand. The Sceptre was not his. It belonged to the King, in whose cold hands it lay even now, feet away from him. Whoever seized it would be accursed, even his heir, because the heir of the King was not the King. In Heaven and Earth, there is only one King.

This had been so for his father, and the father of his father since hundreds of years ago. For three days they would remain buried, deprived from the light of sun and moon and intercourse with the living. Then, and only then, would the gates be opened, and the King, living image of Melkor, would wake and tread the ground of the Upper World again. There was no Ar-Gimilzôr and no Ar-Inziladûn: both were the King, eternal and immutable.

Inziladûn´s lips curved at the bitter irony. He may wield the Sceptre, but even then he couldn´t do what he wanted. Not even in death would his father release his grip on him, and Melkor would leave his altars to creep under his very skin, where he would prove a far deadlier foe than he had been outside. For how could the embodiment of Melkor fight against the god´s own interests? Ar-Adunakhôr, the king whose name was blasphemous in Andúnië, had laid the riddle, to trap his succesors in its snare. Only through what he most hated would he achieve power, and in achieving it he would become part of it.

Slowly, he stretched his limbs, realizing in shame how tightly they had curled in the darkness. He sat on the floor and set his hands on his knees, where they began rubbing the painful stiffness in quick and furious motions. They had not reckoned with him, he smiled grimly. That he would allow himself to be trapped here and still honour the Valar in his heart, that he would participate in their rituals while endeavouring to destroy them, and be both the face of Melkor and his greatest enemy - they had not counted on that. No more than they had counted on a traitor King, on a Faithful standing on the steps of their fire altar, or the blood of Andúnië flowing through the veins of the main line. Only his father had seen, and known, what this would portend, and tried his utmost to prevent it.

I could have you killed for admitting your guilt.

Inziladûn stopped working on his legs, as a shiver crossed his spine. Not his utmost, the insidious voice of truth that had tormented him so many times whispered, yet again, in his ear. He had plotted, outlawed, exiled, killed, but at the end of the day the object of all his scheming was sitting in this dark tomb, unharmed and ready to seize the Sceptre from his hands. To his last breath, Ar-Gimilzôr had refused to reveal the reason for this, and now he had taken it to the Outer Circles of the World.

Taken by a sudden inspiration, Inziladûn crawled towards the light. There, on a bed of gold and precious stones lay his father, the glow of the candle falling on his still features. Blinking the radiance away, the heir to the throne glossed over the silver thread finery, the purple, the golden diadem and even the Sceptre itself to look at his face. He swallowed.

The black eyes were open, looking at Inziladûn as if about to send him away with a harsh dismissal. It was the craft of the embalmers of Númenor to make the King look like he was alive, so the crowd who saw him as he was paraded to his last dwelling would believe in his ritual immortality. Only after the Sceptre was taken, and he left alone in his chamber for eternity, would a gold mask be set to cover them.

It took Inziladûn a much different kind of courage from what he had needed to look at the living Gimilzôr, to be able to hold the glance of those dead eyes. He knelt gazing at them, wishing and yet fearing the emergence of a truth from the dark depths that had been forever closed to him. But they would yield none, and after a while he suddenly felt nauseated. Those eyes were empty: they were open and yet they were not, a mockery of life in death. His father did not live behind them, or under the rich finery, black curls and flawless skin. Those had been taken from him and used to wrap a bag of sawdust, lending human appearance to a mere object. Inziladûn turned aside in disgust.

Why did they refuse to acknowledge the truth? Why couldn´t they be at ease with the notion that one day their souls would part with their bodies and leave the Circles of the World? They had lost sight of the Music, of the harmony of the world, to such an extent that they could not even comprehend how others would follow its guidance and submit willingly to its order. In their ignorance, they feared what they did not know.

Other kings had spread that ignorance for their own purposes, to control the people and carry their own will. In the end, it had turned against them, until they became the first among the believers of lies and their wisdom dwindled, their lifespan diminished, and fear took a powerful hold of their minds. But once upon a time it had been them who brought the change to Númenor and to their subjects.

He, Inziladûn, would be able to change it again.

When you reach old age and your limbs wither, you will not resign your Sceptre or give your life away, but crawl to the altars of your outlandish gods to beg for more years of life.

A second shiver tingled in his spine, though no breeze entered the underground tomb. He crawled back into the darkness, and curled on the floor.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

There was no way to keep track of time in the bowels of the earth, where Sun, Moon and stars were but a dream. Inziladûn shifted restlessly between sleep and the waking world, consumed by visions. The heavy air of this closed space acted like a drug, and as the candle dwindled so did the feel of the stone under him, and everything that kept him rooted to reality.

He saw his mother many times, looking at him with her sad grey eyes. He tried to speak to her, but  then she would turn into Zimraphel, who turned away from him as the Sea took her and he could do nothing to prevent it because she was too far away. The Wave was upon Númenor, like a black mountain of dread rearing its white peaks amidst a deafening roar. It came from the West, engulfing the Bay of Eldanna, the lands of Andúnië and the vineyards of the Hyarnustar, and advancing over the King´s Plain towards Armenelos and the Meneltarma. The proud city of the Three Hills awaited his doom, powerless to escape -when suddenly, something happened.

Inziladûn watched in astonishment as the Wave stopped, and its crest hung above the palaces and the streets for a moment of heavy silence before dissolving like a stricken beast. Before it stood one white tree.

His head tossed around and bumped against a stone wall. Wide awake, he lay on his back for a while, allowing the pain to flood his senses and bring clarity. His heart was beating fast again.

It was the first time. The first time that the Wave, which had troubled his dreams for years uncounted, had not fulfilled its promise of destruction. The tree which had stopped it grew in the Palace, in the outer courtyard where Inziladûn had discovered it as a child. A tree of the Elves, or so he had always heard, until his friends of Andúnië had told him more. Grown from a sapling brought from the Blessed Lands, it was a scion of Telperion, the silver tree that gave light to the Elves before the Moon existed. In Númenor, it was a symbol of kingship, and of the favour of the Valar.

Confused, he wondered what could this portend. Was Ilúvatar sending him a new message, telling him how the disaster could be averted?

After a long while, he could feel his head hurt, and not because of the stone he had bumped it against. Lack of food, and the heavy quality of the air made hard thinking a painful endeavour. When he was back in the Palace, and his most trusted friends and counsellors were with him... when he could talk about this with Valandil and Númendil, they would know what to make of this riddle.

Now, however, he was alone, with only his father´s corpse to give him company. Passing a hand over his forehead, he winced at the bitter irony. What wouldn´t he have given in the past to be locked in a room with his father as he was now, away from the trappings of ceremony and the eyes and ears of courtiers, and forced by need to listen to each other! Back when he was young, this would have been his chance to explain himself, and convince his father of the purity of his intentions. Later, the passing of the years had destroyed that illusion, but the need to make himself heard had only given way to the need to hear.

He and his father were enemies, as it had been decreed since before he was even born. Inziladûn had accepted it, together with the rest of his responsibilities that his position entailed, but some part of him had always obsessed over this idea of communication, of rebuilding bridges which had been burned long ago. It was an unseemly feeling that went beyond the wish to bring change to Númenor, the need for satisfaction for a crime, or even human curiosity, that required answers for certain puzzling questions. It brought to his mind a child who was forced to leave a garden long ago, a child who had done something terribly wrong and upset his father, but didn´t know what. That day he had believed that theirs was a misunderstanding that words could solve, too young yet to know about differently coloured pieces facing each other on the chess board. Somehow, this belief had survived, sometimes hidden far beneath the surface of his thoughts, sometimes coming back to increase his frustration tenfold. If only he could make him understand...

Now, of course, there was nothing left to understand, and nobody left to understand it. His father was not there, only his body. That was why he could crawl towards it, lean over its face and peer into its eyes, eyes that would have turned away in fear and hatred before a cold voice dismissed him from the room.

What had he wanted to hide? Had it just been the details of his schemes, or something larger and more important? Of the former, Inziladûn had guessed enough: he had tried to leave his key pieces in the most favourable position, and Inziladûn´s own pieces in the most unfavourable. Forced to undo everything that his predecessor had done, he would either be betrayed by his own impatience or his plans would have to be considerably slowed down. And after his death the threat to the gods of Númenor would die with him, for he had no heir. It was for that purpose that Pharazôn, the son of Gimilkhâd, had been sent to the mainland, and each and every one of his feats celebrated as magnificently as the great wars of old.

Inziladûn was wary of his heroic nephew, but even more wary of his mother. For the last years Melkyelid of Gadir had been at the King´s side, and they had taken counsel together. She was surely one of his key pieces, and on more than one front: mother of Pharazôn, she was also wife of Gimilkhâd, Inziladûn´s brother and rival, and daughter of Magon of Gadir, the lord of the Merchant Princes. She was intelligent and perceptive, and it was widely rumoured that she knew something of divination and visions as well. Inziladûn recalled how she had been the first to know that Zarhil was expecting a child, even before his wife had noticed it herself. Her gentle voice and charming manners could not fool him; she would prove a formidable enemy.

Still, all those enemies that his father had created for him, from the conception of his younger brother to the alliance with Magon, would not be able to prevail against his own determination. If patient he had to be, he would be so, though the fumes of the altars asphyxiate him and the Meneltarma crush him with its weight. He had waited many years, but the lords of Andúnië had waited centuries. If they had borne it for the good of Númenor and the survival of their line and hopes, so would he. And if one step forwards would mean three steps backwards, he would sit still in this tomb, before the altar, and in the throne, until the moment arrived.

And then you will see, my lord King! You will see the true greatness of Númenor, the Anadúnë of old, free from fear and superstition and no longer hated by the other peoples of Arda. You will see the palaces of Armenelos shine, free from the fumes of your altars, and the mallorn trees of Eldanna sag under the weight of golden flowers to welcome the emissaries of the Blessed Lands. You will see the roads and harbours open before us to the South and North, and their people greet us as friends coming to deliver them from the Enemy, the real Enemy, who now protects them from us!

Spurred by his own vehemence, he was barely aware that he had begun speaking aloud. His voice sounded out of place in the dwelling of the dead, carrying a disturbing echo over stone walls that had not heard such a sound for centuries. Unsettled, he fell silent, and looked around him as if he expected to see something that had been stirred awake by the intrusion. Then, taking a deep breath, he looked down.

This was foolishness. His father could not hear him, nor could he see anything that happened within this world until it was broken and remade.

Ar-Gimilzôr´s lips curved into a smile, eerie under the soft candlelight.

“And yet you will never be free of me. When you take my Sceptre and leave this place, I will follow.”

Inziladûn fell backwards, livid. He felt the stone colliding against his back, which proved that he was awake, and yet he had heard the dead talk, and the dry lips move to utter the words.

Shaking, he forced himself to look again at those eyes that, for the briefest of moments, he had seen stir with a living emotion. There was none in them now, except for the false life lent to them by an embalmer´s craft. Regaining courage, he leaned closer, searching for the slightest signal, the slightest evidence, of what had taken place. He had not imagined it, but seen it with the same eyes with which he looked upon the corpse now. Had it been a trick played by the powers of evil, a malicious temptation sent to frighten him and throw his beliefs into turmoil on the eve of his accession?

Or maybe... He reeled, slowly gathering back the threads of his mind. Long ago, he had heard stories about his grandfather Ar-Sakalthôr the Mad, as some called him in their whispered conversations. One of those stories concerned his ritual burial, at the time of his own father´s death. Rumour had it that before he passed under the Meneltarma he had been an eccentric man, prone to strange moods and unusual pursuits, but that he came out of the cave a madman. The priests and the embalmer had found him lying on the floor, raving, and spirited him away from the sight of the assembled people as soon as possible to prevent anyone from noticing their new king´s condition. Inziladûn had never been sure of what parts of those stories could be trusted and what had been invented or distorted by gossipers. He had his own ideas about what had been the matter with Ar-Sakalthôr, which were painfully evidenced whenever he set eyes upon his own daughter. Their madness was due to a seeing gift, the same that they shared with their kinsmen and ancestors, sharpened into a biting curse. Ar-Sakalthôr, like his great-granddaughter, had seen visions in the waking world, and they had disturbed him.

Had those visions been triggered by this oppressive darkness? The fear pulsed under his chest. Had there been something in this cave that brought them forth, and was that something working on Inziladûn´s mind as well? He had been sent dreams, and the gift of his family ran so true in him that people called him far-seeing.

In that case, he thought, it was more important than ever that he kept his wits. The visions of his Elven blood showed things that were true, and if he had the strength to use them for his own purposes instead of letting himself be carried away by them, he would gain precious wisdom. So far, the darkness had shown him two things: the White Tree stopping the Wave, and now this.

When you take my Sceptre and leave this place, I will follow.

There was a clear meaning to those words. No dead man could come back to life, and no power could possibly contend with the ways of the world as they were woven into the Music at the beginning of times, but before Ar-Gimilzôr died he had left others who would take his place and lead his faction after he was gone. This, however, did not offer any new insight to Inziladûn, who had been preparing against that scenario for decades.

Did it mean that he would never be free of the King´s shadow? That breaking away from him, and from the tradition of Ar-Adunakhôr, would end in ultimate failure? The very idea made him reel. It went against the ultimate cornerstone of his beliefs, the trust in Ilúvatar and the knowledge that he had been left a chance to avert the disaster. Or maybe it could be the warning of some peril that threatened to hinder his step?

His head ached again. Here, in this hole, there was nothing he could do but think, and yet the act of thinking brought him pain and dizziness. Still, he knew that if he tried to rest, more visions and dreams would assault him as soon as he lowered his guard. If this was some kind of test, he longed for some insight he could grasp, something that would give it a meaning, but it eluded him like grains of sand trickling away from his grip. He pressed his palms against his mouth, smothering a groan of frustration.

It was maybe a blessing in disguise that nobody could be there to keep him company and witness this indignity. He wondered how his father had taken this, if even he had lost his prized composure as he sat in this dreadful place before the embalmed body of Ar-Sakalthôr. Probably, he thought with an edge of bitterness, he just sat there and prayed to the Great God for aid and protection in his future tasks, his eyes alight with devotion and fervour. He who had given himself to the darkness had no reason to fear it, as he had become part of it. Inziladûn, on the other hand, was an enemy here -an enemy of the Great God and of the Eternal Kings of Heaven and Earth.

Maybe they, and not his Elven blood, were sending these thoughts and these visions, to drive him insane.

“I could have killed you.”

Inziladûn lowered his head, refusing to look up.

“Do you know why I let you live?”

He would not let them defeat him. He would not.

“The King of Armenelos would not accept that sacrifice. He had plans for you.”

The Prince of Númenor shivered. Could it be true?

Almost at once, he forced the question to die in his mind, unanswered. Only an evil power could have possibly tried to plant that insidious seed, and he would not heed it.

“Do you know why, then? What other reason could there be to spare a traitor like you?”

Inziladûn felt the sudden urge to bolt away. He wanted to be as far from that voice as possible, to leave this place and run through the secret passages towards the light. But the door was shut, and he could not open it. He knew that as soon as he tried, and banged his head against the unyielding iron, the madness growing within him would be unleashed.

“Be silent”, he said. “My father is dead, and you cannot speak for him.”

The steadiness of his own tone reassured him, making him feel slightly better for a moment before it spoke again.

“Can you?”

It was excruciating to hear his father´s voice, twisted into this evil mockery of a conversation. Each and every one of the words were pronounced with the same solemn ponderousness that the King had used in his dealings with his son, becoming curt and harsh when contradicted. The final vowels dragged for the exact amount of time, as well as the small pause he used to make between sentences. It sounded like him to the last detail, tempting him with the information that he had always wanted the most to hear. But that was the point when they diverged, and even as he thought about it, Inziladûn´s thoughts began to regain their clarity.

His father had never wanted to talk about this. He had evaded his glances, forced him to swallow his questions and hide his turmoils. You are out of line, he had said the last time that they met on the world of the living. And for a moment Inziladûn had perceived a hint of an emotion, a flash of shame and fear in his countenance. Ar-Gimilzôr feared the subject. He was aware of having done wrong, and had acknowledged as much. I should have had you killed when you first admitted it.

And still, though he knew he had done wrong by his god and his ancestors, he had persisted in his mistake to the end. Inziladûn was alive, and not as a pawn in a sinister plan but as a flaw in it.

“My father could not kill me”, he said, and even as the words came out of his mouth, a lightness spread through his chest. “He could not kill me because I was his son. And so he disobeyed.”

The voice was silent, and Inziladûn knew that he would not hear it again. He had won.

Carefully, he advanced towards the body to look upon its features, this time without fear. It might have been his imagination, but he could definitely feel as if the air of the cavern had become less oppressive, the darkness less pronounced. The ache in his head and limbs dissipated as he walked, not crawling like an animal anymore but standing on his feet.

There was no sign of life in his father´s countenance. And yet he was somehow more alive than before, when Inziladûn had seen his lips move. For the first time, he had been able to discover something there, something that made him see the dead man in a different light. This change in his perception brought an illusion of life, which was not fell or evil but comforting.

Slowly, he knelt before him, and took a deep breath. For a moment he felt overwhelmed, as he realized how much this feud had been weighing on his soul. His throat hurt and his lungs burned, but still he leaned over the corpse and spoke.

When you take my Sceptre and leave this place, I will follow.

“Father,” he said, feeling for the first time as if addressing the dead was not madness. His voice sounded hoarse. “You always hid your thoughts from me, as I hid mine from you. You gave yourself to darkness, and I to light, so we were enemies since I was young enough to remember. “He paused for a moment, his brow furrowed thoughtfully. “And yet, for all this time I never could hate you, and this confused me. And now, I know that you could not hate me, either, and that it must have confused you as well. “This pause was even longer, and finding the words more difficult. “That is why, before I am hailed as King, I wish to make peace. Your plans will hold me back, as you intended, but not you.”

Ar-Gimilzôr´s eyes looked back at him, without seeing. Suddenly, right behind him, the candle flickered and died.

Far beyond, at another part of the mountain, Inziladûn heard the echo of a low rumble.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The door of the chamber opened, casting a dim glow over the darkness where Inziladûn was sitting. Three shadows stood upon the threshold, and for a while he was too blinded by the light to see their faces. Then, slowly, he raised his glance towards theirs.

They took this as a cue to enter. In the same eerie silence that they had kept as they led him to this place they set to work, while Inziladûn felt a tiny breeze flow around him and freeze his sweat for the first time in days. The embalmer knelt before Ar-Gimilzôr, bowing thrice, and proceeded to extricate the Sceptre from the cold fingers. The High Priest received it solemnly and walked towards Inziladûn, who, as if in a dream, felt himself be helped to his feet by the Guardian of the Mountain, covered in a purple cloak, crowned with a diadem and offered the ultimate emblem of Númenórean royalty. Then, both men fell to their knees before him.

The embalmer, meanwhile, hovered around the corpse like a large bird of prey. Inziladûn heard the clink of metal and the splash of some liquid, but refused to look closer until the golden mask was brought. Slowly, it clicked into place, and his father´s eyes were hidden forever.

After his work was over, the man picked up his utensils, bowed low again and retrieved his torch. The High Priest of Melkor had also brought one, which he picked up again for the return journey. Its wavering gleam allowed Inziladûn a glimpse of the richly painted walls of what had been his prison, a beauty fated to remain buried in darkness. But the Guardian, who walked before them, bore no light.

Slowly, they crossed the threshold, Inziladûn stopping to look for the last time at his father´s resting place. There his body would lay, forever preserved from decay, an unknown mockery of the Elves that he had always hated. Whispering a prayer to Eru Ilúvatar, he begged that Gimilzôr´s soul might find truth beyond the Circles of the World, and a knowledge that would put an end to all the superstitions and fears that had made him suffer while he lived. As he did so, he felt strangely detached, as if proving his father wrong was not so important anymore. This was a liberating feeling, and he left the place with the light step of someone who had not been imprisoned and fasting for three days.

The Guardian of the Mountain led the way, guiding the small group through the impenetrable maze of tunnels and chambers. His step did not hesitate, even though the glow of the torches did not reach him. He seemed at ease in this darkness, as if, for him, the bowels of the mountain were a well-known home where his ancestors had dwelt for ages uncounted. Behind him the High Priest of Melkor, Inziladûn and the embalmer struggled to follow his lead.

He was not aware of how long they had been walking though purposefully misleading paths, by whose twists and turns even the smallest of distances could have seemed like a hundred miles. The feeling of disorientation increased his weariness, which became more and more pronounced with the passing of time. Still, at a certain point, the air began to feel lighter, and the darkness less pronounced. Taking heart from this, he gathered his strength to continue.

The threshold of the Meneltarma was a huge pillared hall carved inside the rock. It was full of statues of dead kings, among whose silent rows the party made their way towards the exit. The light of the torches was no longer necessary, as the open gates allowed the radiance of sunlight to come flooding into the world of the Dead. This only happened once in a century, when a Ruling King passed away.

When the King was reborn.

As Inziladûn set foot outside the mountain, a clamour reached his ears. He blinked to accustom his eyes to the change of light once more, and a crowd emerged from the haze, stretching beyond his sight.

The High Priest flanked him, grabbing the arm that held the Sceptre and holding it up high for everyone to see.

“The King has come!” he shouted. The clamour turned into a deafening roar.

“Hail the King!”

“He came back from the Darkness in triumph!”

“Hail the King!”

“Now he treads upon the living world, where he will dwell until the end of time!”

Inziladûn forced his arm to stay firm in the elderly priest´s grip, repressing the urge to flee back into the darkness. Under my skin, he remembered, shivering under the rain of devotion. Those people were not hailing him, they hailed the King who had risen from the tomb.

They hailed Melkor.

For the last time in his life, Ar-Inziladûn King of Númenor allowed himself to feel uncertainty.

 

Eroding Waters

Read Eroding Waters

“Rise for the King!”

A flurry of robes and chairs followed the herald´s chant as Ar-Inziladûn crossed the threshold of the Council Chamber. At a brisk pace, so unlike his father´s majestic stride that he almost could feel the shock thicken into an invisible wall around him, he walked towards the high chair at the head of the room. Standing in that spot, he commanded a view of the place and everybody in it, and for a moment he paused to look at them as one would study a map before engaging in battle. For this was also a map, a map of Númenor where seating combinations traced borders and roads, joining faraway lands or dividing neighbours by rival interests, old grudges or opposed loyalties.

Zakarbal of Sorontil sat on the right side, together with his adoptive son. Next to them was the young man´s birth father, Shemer of Hyarnustar, talking to his brother, the halfwit whose immoderate feasting had acquired quite a reputation in Armenelos. The Northeastern lord, on his part, had come with his own assistant, a powdered man whom Inziladûn did not know. All six of them, councilmen and their people, had risen as one the moment that the King´s entrance had been announced.

A second group of people, gathering at the other side of the table, showed quite a different disposition. Sitting closest to him among them was Bodashtart, Itashtart´s sucessor as High Priest of the Forbidden Bay and governor of the Northwest. At his right were Hannon the Palace Priest and the High Chamberlain, who, together with their own assistants, had been laughing at a remark Bodashtart had made when Inziladûn came in through the door. Even further behind them was Gimilkhâd, surrounded by the largest throng of people in the room. They made a colourful array, with Gimilkhâd´s purple and jewels, the merchants´s gaudy outfits and the ostentatious leopard mantle worn by the governor of Sor, a short and broad man who had left the largest and proudest retinue at the Audience Chamber below. Ithobal, Gimilkhâd´s foster-brother, curved his painted lips into a smile as one of the merchants leaned to whisper a word in his ear. The merchant´s forehead was glistening with sweat from the early summer heat, and Inziladûn caught a glimmer of gold in it before he turned his attention towards the only man who had remained seated.

The High Priest of Melkor was an old man, and yet years seemed to hang from his shoulders like the purple cloak, an ornament for his majesty. He alone among all the councilmen could remain in his seat while the others had to stand: the highest servant of the God King bowed to no one. When Inziladûn gazed into his eyes he looked back at him, defying the new Númenórean ruler in silence. This one knew very well the perils that would assail his position with this King upon the throne, and the gesture meant to show his determination to fight for the privileges accorded by Ar-Adunakhôr.

Inziladûn, however, had the measure of him in one glance. In spite of the appearances, the man was a coward at heart, and if there was a confrontation he would prefer to stay away from it, using others as his weapons. He had done it with Gimilzôr, with whom he had clashed often, because of the late King´s repeated attempts to take over his religious attributions.

Taking his eyes off him, Inziladûn let them trail over the man who stood at the High Priest´s side. As he did so, he perceived the scorching heat of power, flashing before his sight for a brief second. Then, the man frowned, and the King felt pulled away by an invisible force. Surprised, he suppressed the urge to reel back. He had been rejected, not with words or commands but by the sheer force of that man´s will.

This was the weapon. Yehimelkor, the descendant of Alashiya. Yehimelkor the kinsman of Melkorbazer, Inziladûn´s external grandfather. Yehimelkor, who had saved the child Amandil even when all of Inziladûn´s complicated ploys seemed doomed to fail in the end, baffled by a boy´s stubbornness.

It was an irony that a man who had so many reasons to be his ally would be standing beside the lord of the dark temple, battling him with his glance. But Yehimelkor´s devotion to Melkor was like a mithril armour with no cracks, and so it remained long after the son of the Faithful had come and gone from his life. Now he served the High Priest loyally, but one day, not very far ahead, he would be High Priest himself. And that day, the King would find a bitter enemy in this priest of the deep eyes and sharp-lined face.

Taking a sharp breath, Inziladûn sat down. Everybody promptly followed his example, the twelve councilmen in their silver chairs and their twelve assistants behind them. It was the first time that the Council gathered since the death of Ar-Gimilzôr three months earlier, and it was a moment for testing pulses and gauging intentions. Tension was in the air as they looked at him, waiting for his speech.

“I welcome you, friends, to this Council”, he spoke in a clear, ringing voice that echoed across the hundred columns of the chamber. “Our mourning is not over, and yet it is time to put grief away for a while and set our minds to matters of state.”

Gimilkhâd arched a painted eyebrow in a vaguely incredulous gesture, but nobody challenged his words. Inziladûn knew that the gossip concerning his relationship with his father had not died with Gimilzôr, and yet the new king was determined to kill it as soon as possible.

“I will now hear what you have to say”, he continued, looking towards his brother-in-law Zakarbal. He was head of the landholders by virtue of his older ancestry and his kinship with him, and traditionally the landholders had spoken first. From the times when he had taken the role of his father´s secretary, however, he knew that this custom had been disregarded. This went unchallenged as well, though he could perceive a hint of wariness in the looks of some.

Zakarbal did not hesitate.

“I ask for your leave to marry my heir to the daughter of the Palace Priest.” He gave a well-rehearsed nod of acknowledgement in Hannon´s direction, which the old courtier reciprocated with a simpering smile. The tension was eased, except in the eyes of Gimilkhâd and the merchants that surrounded him. They had not expected that.

“The Lord Hannon is my beloved childhood teacher, a revered priest and a member of this Council.” Inziladûn replied. “Your request is granted, and I will attend to the wedding myself, as soon as all the steps of mourning are duly achieved.”

“I am humbled by your kindness!” Hannon bowed, as much as his age and the enormous bulk of fat that covered his body allowed him. His usually shrewd look did not show any sharp edges today; he knew that he was part of a small theatre play but did not mind at all. He had been waiting for this day for too long.

Other requests and concerns followed Zakarbal´s, many more than what Inziladûn remembered from his father´s council sessions. He could recognize most of them for what they were: mere pretexts to test him, to see how he would react to their petitions and whom he would favour or deny. Like a soldier in battle, he stood ready for each of them, parrying and deflecting the points of their poisoned swords as they came. He delayed a request for harbour repair funds from the governor of Sor, then rejected a plea from Hyarnustar for lower taxes on their wine. The representative from the Merchant Princes of Umbar was given more troops to face the growing unrest on the land of Harad, and Inziladûn asked the Gadir representative if they needed help as well.

The gold-skinned man whom he had seen sweating at the beginning of the session, who sat beside Gimilkhâd in an outfit of green and deep violet, assuaged his concerns with an amiable smile that did not reach his eyes. He had been the associate and nephew of the infamous Magon, and now had taken his place at the Council.

“We are not a warring people. We conduct our trade peacefully and keep a good relationship with the mainland. If they see too many soldiers they might start mistrusting our intentions, and that would be bad for business.”

Inziladûn frowned.

“And yet I have heard of fighting in the Bay of Gadir. My own brother´s son” he sought Gimilkhâd´s glance briefly, “is there now, is he not?”

“He is paying a visit to his mother´s family”, Magon´s nephew replied. He was still smiling, and yet Inziladûn noticed that he had spoken before Gimilkhâd could have the chance to do so. “Being a young and successful general, however, he conducted some skirmishes against the armies of Mordor on his way to the Bay. Seen from the Island, Middle-Earth seems to shrink, but it is a vast land, my lord king.”

Inziladûn felt vaguely insulted by his condescendence, which seemed to imply that he could not read a map. But this was not important now, a mere distraction to blind him to the main point. That man did not want to admit that they had problems, or that they needed help from the Sceptre, and he wondered why.

“Still, we do live in evil times, my lord King, “the governor of Sor nodded sententiously. “Our colonies are assailed repeatedly by the Enemy and his allies, and though we work night and day we barely manage to provide ships for our soldiers to cross the Sea.”

Inziladûn was tempted to arch an eyebrow at this grim assessment, since the man had been pressuring for funds. It was much easier to deal with those who asked for things than with those who refused them, as his old teacher had taught him. And yet, the opening that he provided was useful.

“I have been concerned about that. We must have done something to anger the gods, if they would bring all these hardships on us.”

“And what could that be, my lord King?”

The one who spoke had been Bodashtart, the priest and governor of the Forbidden Bay, but Inziladûn could feel the weight of other, unvoiced questions darted at him from the depths of many eyes. For a moment, he had the unpleasant feeling that Yehimelkor was reading his thoughts like he would an open book, anticipating his moves. He discarded it almost at once: Yehimelkor was but an embodiment of his own fears, those that had roamed his mind at unguarded hours before his time came.

He took breath.

“We worship our gods, honour their festivities and offer them magnificent temples and sacrifices. But meanwhile, we have neglected Him who is father to them all, Eru who shaped the world. He does not like temples, statues or offerings, and yet He has known worship in our kingdom in the past.”

“Three times a year there used to be a procession to the highest peak of the Meneltarma”, old Hannon chimed in in a slow, wheezy voice. Zakarbal nodded at once.

“I remember that tale from my ancestors. Could the growth of the Shadow in Middle-Earth be the result of our neglect of this custom?”

The High Priest of Melkor had been exchanging glances with the man who stood at his side, but now he turned towards Inziladûn and the Council.

“It is the lore of the Four Temples that neglect was not at the root of the end of the Three Great Processions,” he said. “It was the blindness of the worshippers. They started making images of Eru and offering sacrifices, until the Holiest Days were besmeared with sacrilege. It was then that the King decided to put an end to them.”

“I have heard that, too”, Bodashtart chimed in. “To each one his due. Men feast upon the creatures that tread the earth and fill the sea, gods feast upon the fumes of the sacrifices, but neither meat nor fume can reach the High Heaven.”

“But this was not the original custom” Lord Shemer argued. “The custom was corrupted by Men, who were themselves corrupted.”

“And this corruption is at the root of everything”, Hannon mumbled with a sententious nod.

“The fumes of the sacrifices may not reach the High Heaven, but if our hearts are not pure, the darkness that emanates from them will rise higher than any wisp of smoke.” Inziladûn stood up; there was passion in his voice as he addressed the Council now. “Let us prove our purity to Eru! We will re-establish the Holiest Days, and declare this a Year of Renewal.”

“A Year of Renewal?” Bodashtart´s eyes widened. “But that has not  happened since...”

“Ar-Abattarîk.” Inziladûn replied. “He declared a Year of Renewal after the defeat of the Umbarian troops in Harad, during the tenth year of his reign. Ceremonies were conducted, prisoners were freed, exiles were recalled and debts were condoned. “Some slanderous tongues had insinuated that this last thing had been largely at the root of his decision. Soon there would be slanderous tongues second-guessing his own decision, too, and Inziladûn guessed what they would be saying.

“Can we allow ourselves such a luxury?” Gimilkhâd spoke for the first time. At his side, the representatives from Umbar and Gadir did not look pleased, and a low rumble of murmuration began spreading through the Hall like fire.

“We do not speak of luxury when we seek the favour of Heaven,” Zakarbal argued. “Without it we are nothing, and all our enterprises are doomed to fail!”

“Heaven may favour us better if we help ourselves,” the governor of Sor muttered rebelliously. Magon´s nephew, who had not spoken since the exchange about unrest in the Gadir area, now knitted his forehead in a golden frown.

“Will the Exiles be allowed to return to their land?”

Inziladûn did not lower his glance, though the grip of his fingers on the table became stronger.

“The governor of Sor has complained many times to the late king about the rabble that crowds his lands. This would be an opportunity to lighten the load.”

“But then, “Bodashtart´s eyes widened in growing realization “would those exiles be allowed to return to the Andustar? That land falls under the jurisdiction of the Cave!”

“There is an imbalance in this island. “Inziladûn´s voice was raised above the turmoil. He had not expected to be challenged so strongly or so soon, but the Merchant Prince from Gadir had known when and where to strike with a shrewdness that belied his youth. Just like his uncle and predecessor, he was a force to be reckoned with. “For many years now, the East has been overpopulated, while the West is empty. In the East, many people suffer from shortages of food and cannot find employment, but in the West there are not enough hands to till fertile lands that lie abandoned and produce nothing. If the Exiles should return to their former homes, both the Cave and the Governor would be better served, and the civil strife that has caused so much pain and destruction will finally become a thing of the past. Would that not please Eru and the gods, and be beneficial to Númenor?”

“That sounds very inspiring.” Gimilkhâd´s mouth curved in a grimace that seemed to indicate the very opposite. “But there is a reason why those people were exiled. The late king Ar-Sakalthôr, in his great mercy, tried to bridge this chasm and allowed them to return for a while, and instead of abandoning their former pursuits they committed treason again. They have fallen too deep in thrall to the sorcery of the Demons of the West, and their servants the Elves.” Some people murmured their assent. “What makes you think that this time would be different?”

Inziladûn had purposefully avoided addressing the issue of the return of the Andúnië line, and yet it was on the table now. He bit his lip, to smother a shuddering sigh of frustration.

“I spoke of a Year of Renewal, and the recall of all the exiles. Those people have lived as beggars in the East since the time of Ar-Adunakhôr for a crime committed by their ancestors, and have never been given the chance to prove their own loyalty by any of the later kings. They were not recalled, and therefore they are not guilty of what you accuse them of. But since you have raised the issue of the Lord of Andúniê and his family, who are also exiles and would be similarly affected by this decree... “He paused for a moment, and realized belatedly that the whole Council had fallen silent, hanging on his every word. “I am aware of their second exile, and of the concerns that their loyalties pose for some of you. They must be allowed to return to their lands, for exceptions cannot be made. Moreover, they are my kin on my mother´s side, and I will not be their enemy. But they will not be allowed to rule in the Andustar, or to be part of this Council.”

The murmurations returned, but for the first time Inziladûn could perceive surprise, even shock, in the faces of Gimilkhâd, the governor and the merchants.

“Will you keep your word about this?” his brother asked, after a few exchanged glances. Lord Zakarbal stood up in indignation.

“How dare you talk to the King in this manner?”

Gimilkhâd´s mouth opened as if to reply, but the merchant of Gadir touched his arm in a calming gesture. As he looked around him, he became aware of the disapproval in the eyes of the others, and looked down sullenly. Inziladûn breathed in relief.

“Are there any other objections?” he asked, letting his glance trail over the other Council members. One of them did not turn away.

“My lord King,” said the High Priest of Melkor, laboriously gathering the folds of his purple cloak over his lap. Inziladûn, who had remarked his long silence, nodded and waited for the attack. “The Year of Renewal is of great concern for the gods of Númenor.”

“It is.”

“This will require great expenses from the Sceptre and the Great Temples. On the greatest occasions, a sacrifice of a hundred bulls is called for, carried in attendance of the King and Council and with the highest solemnity.” For a moment, the old man´s eyes narrowed, and his look became probing. “We request the King´s help in these matters.”

Once again, Inziladûn noticed that particular silence that had fallen over the Council when he spoke of the Lord of Andúnië. Everybody was waiting for his reaction to this. It would be repeated, dissected, torn apart and analyzed in corridor whispers, and heated after-dinner debates.

And he, he thought in grim purpose, would provide them with plenty to talk about.

“You will have it, Your Holiness.”

Zakarbal stared at him in outrage.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

There were two fountains in the garden beyond the gallery. One of them stood at its centre, where a jet of water flowed from a sculpted mermaid´s lavish mane. It ran through an open stone channel and filled a basin where water-lilies floated lazily; at its lower end the water was freed again through the fangs of a sea-dragon, and gurgled as it was seeped down a hole to fill the reservoirs of the Palace. Inziladûn had once studied the complicated system through which water would oscillate between the upper and lower levels, and always come back, renewed, to fill the gap it had left. Maharbal, his old tutor from Umbar, had compared it with the oscillation of the waters of the earth, all of which flowed from the same pit and were fated to return to it in a neverending cycle. The Palace had been built as an image of the world, and in imitation of its laws, so a ruler could see them and understand them. Prideful vanity, he had thought years later, that led the King of Númenor to believe that he could decipher all the secrets of Creation and replicate them by the hand of Men.

Once, he remembered, he had shared his opinion with Maharbal, who stared back at him gravely. Inziladûn had thought for a moment that the old man disapproved, but after a while the frown disappeared from the dark, weather-beaten forehead, leaving nothing but a strange wistfulness in its wake. Vanity is what led the King of Númenor to believe that he could know Númenor without setting foot outside the Palace, he had said. And vanity is what leads the Númenoreans to believe that they can know the world without setting foot outside Númenor.

This had been many years after Inziladûn outgrew his lessons, and Maharbal had been nearing the end of his days. At the time, Inziladûn had already shared many confidences with him, dangerous secrets and discoveries that he could not keep locked within his chest for fear that it would burst. But this was the first time that Maharbal had shed his mantle of indulgent wisdom, and paid him back in kind. Inziladûn had been surprised, and for a moment, behind the torn veil of the unshakeable sage, he had glimpsed the bitterness of this Umbarian of mixed parentage.

The subject had not been pursued further, but Inziladûn had thought about it for a long time, even after Maharbal had left the world. For he knew about mixed parentage, and he had never considered that the old man could have understood his feelings, or felt drawn to him for that reason. Now, standing again on the spot where the falling waters drowned the echoes of compromising conversations, his eyes fixed on the sea-dragon´s large mouth as the excited voice of Lord Zakarbal filled his ears, the remembrances brought a painful shudder that he hid behind his purple cloak.

“My lord, they did not only extract from you a pledge to act against your allies, your own mother´s kin, but, emboldened by that, they made you promise to sacrifice in their altars! How could you countenance and bow to their unbridled arrogance? They have piled heap upon heap of gold, which they stole from the rightful lords of Númenor, and won the hearts of the people through superstition and false promises. Will you let them take what is due the King, too? Will you let them rule the Council and steal your Sceptre?”

“They” are not the same people”, he answered mechanically. “There are the merchants and there are the governors and there are the priests.”

“But they all lick your brother´s heels!”

“Or he licks theirs.” Inziladûn´s brow furrowed wistfully. Behind the mermaid fountain, Zimraphel was playing a game of matching shells with two other women; she looked happy today. “The Council wields great power, and I cannot force them to accept changes that threaten their privileges without offering anything in return. I will not put them against me in the first year of my reign.”

“The Council does not rule! It merely advises”, his brother-in-law replied with vehemence. “That is how it has always been.”

“And yet it is not possible to rule without the Council. That is how it has always been, too.” He was growing a little impatient, and his voice came out with a slight edge. How could Zakarbal not understand? He had been in the Council for years, unlike Inziladûn, who had not set foot in it since his brief foray as his father´s secretary. “Remember its history. Kings who have faced opposition have always taken a great interest in reforming the Council and opening it to their allies. They have tried to control it, and this is a matter of uttermost importance, for it is vital for them that they can rule with its support.”

He did remember the history of the Council, having studied it quite thoroughly. Much had changed since it had been known as the Council of the Six, and only the five great landholders of the time -those who ruled the peripheral territories that lay beyond the Land of the King- and the heir to the Sceptre were allowed to sit on it. The privilege of being a councilman had been passed from father to son for generation after generation, until their lineages became too old and proud to be suffered by the strongwilled later kings.

But it hadn´t been until Ar-Adunakhôr that the opportunity to remove this opposition had arisen, and they had offered it to the King themselves by rising in support of Alissha. After the war, the lineage of Hyarrostar was broken, and the lords of Andúnië exiled to the East and dispossessed. Their territories were given to men of no ancestry, loyal to the King alone, who had been allowed to gain seats at the Council as Governor of Sor and High Priest of the Forbidden Bay. The High Priest of Melkor was also invited to join the Council, and this none dared oppose, so great had the influence of the Great God become by that time. His seat had been taken from Ar-Adunakhôr´s own heir, who had died in exile on the mainland some years later. The Lord of the West, like so many of his descendants, had never been inclined to trust his own family.

Adunakhôr had thus balanced the three seats of the landholders with three of his own making, who would favour his interests, but he had been careful not to alter their number and, with it, the appearance of tradition. His successor Ar-Zimrathôn, however, who had to contend with the growing belligerence of the surviving landholders, for whom the downfall of their allies in the war and the fear for their own lives was but a distant memory, had foregone that concern, adding two seats for courtiers to break the balance. In Ar-Sakalthôr´s time the Lord of Andúnië came back for a while, and since there was no chair to spare they changed it again to the Council of the Nine. Eventually, Ar-Gimilzôr had banished Lord Valandil and given his place to his son Gimilkhâd, as Inziladûn was “the heir and thus had no need to be in the Council, who were advisors to the realm”. In a move that had garnered more discontent than any of the other changes ever made, he also opened the Council to the Merchant Princes, giving them three seats. He seemed determined to make things as difficult as possible for his elder son, and brooked no opposition, going as far as to marry his own son to a merchant´s daughter to legitimate the move. Inziladûn had found that he had to contend with them quite as bitterly as with the priests and the men that held the lands taken from his kin in the past, and though he was King, he was, for the first time since his great-great-grandsire, outnumbered. Only his painfully acquired alliances with the landholders and courtiers had allowed him to keep his footing, and in such circumstances, trying to push his will through at the expense of the interests of the rest would have been madness.

“The Lord of Andúnië and his family, who were twice branded as traitors, will be able to return to their homes, and so will their people. They can recover their lands and rule them as before, as long as they pay tribute and defer to the Cave, who holds sway over the region.”

“That is an insult!”, Zakarbal hissed. As a landholder from an ancient family, he probably felt the indignity of kneeling to an appointee as keenly as if it had been inflicted upon himself.

“I would rather have people and means without honour than honour with neither”, Inziladûn retorted, remembering the travesty of friendship that Gimilzôr had offered them in the years of Sakalthôr´s reign. He recalled Andúnië as it had been back then, a deserted harbour and a family walking through empty halls full of ghosts. “They will have plenty of chances to prove their loyalty in the future. And in any case it is a better fate than being prisoners of the Merchant Princes.”

“And what of the sacrifices to Melkor? “Zakarbal´s displeasure was not so easily quenched. “Is that the message that you want to send to the Council and the commoners? That you will bow to the Dark Lord?”

With the zeal of the new believer, the Lord of Sorontil had embraced the teachings of the Valar and turned against the old worship of his family. It was all Inziladûn had been able to do to prevent his enthusiastic brother-in-law from getting in trouble with the Sceptre and with his own people in the last years.

“The people worship Melkor. They will still worship Melkor if the King tells them not to, even if that were possible, because their hearts are turned towards him”, Inziladûn explained. Zimraphel raised her eyes from the scattered shells; as the sun kissed her face he was reminded with a sharp pang of how much she looked like his mother. “But the Valar and Melkor have something in common.”

Zakarbal looked disgusted.

“Something in common? What could the Lords of the West have in common with that... filthy demon of darkness?”

“That they are all the children of Eru.” Silence followed those words, broken only by the sound of running water and the voices of the women in the distance. “All who honour the Valar and all who worship Melkor alike acknowledge him as Creator. That is why the worship of Eru in the Meneltarma and the Year of Renewal will become a link to join the people of Númenor and make them come together in the truest and holiest of beliefs.” His voice became vibrant, as frustration was forced out from his chest. “And this they approved, without debate, without opposition, all in exchange for a few bulls and some gold.”

Zakarbal frowned, in a way that Inziladûn was not sure if he understood the real import of this or not. Then, reluctantly, he nodded.

“I am sure you know what is best. My lord King.”

In the garden, Zimraphel laughed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The balcony of Magon´s house oversaw the channel that cut the island of Gadir in half. From that vantage point, one could see boats and painted barges floating heavily down the quiet waters,  vendors peddling merchandise through the sidewalks, and rich citizens in their best clothes performing the ritual of the afternoon walk. Nothing seemed amiss in this strange city, where people kept to their own, outlandish routines as one King fell to darkness and another took the Sceptre at the roots of the Meneltarma.

Still, those political developments were not just stories from far away. They affected the small island, just as the island´s developments affected the larger one beyond the Sea. The appearance of calm was but an illusion, which was something he had learned while living in this house, and attending to endless and tedious dinners where deals were made over desserts, and lands parceled out and distributed without the help of sword or shield. Things happened here, they only happened in a different way.

“You sure came back quickly”, he greeted the footsteps that advanced towards him through the small but lavishly ornated room. They stopped.

“Our ships are swift like the wind. Not like those war galleys of yours, which have to be kept outside the Bay for fear they might founder.”

Pharazôn turned back to meet the smirk in the golden face. Magon-nephew-of-Magon had just arrived from his trip across the Sea, and he hadn´t yet taken off his travelling clothes, which exuded a faint tang of salt.

“I thought you might have had to flee Númenor”, Pharazôn joked. The other man did not laugh.

“Not yet.” He sat down with relish, as if he had been on his feet for days, and called for wine. A young woman, her skin dark like many he had seen in Umbar, tiptoed in with a jar and two cups.

“You do not look happy”, the Númenorean prince insisted, pouring his cup before anybody could do it for him and draining it in one go. “What did my uncle say?”

“Oh, many things. He wants to begin his reign with plenty of reforms, processions and sacrifices.” The merchant took a careful sip through his painted lips, looking thoughtfully ahead. “He will also recall all the Andúnië exiles.”

“What?” Pharazôn almost let his empty cup fall on the lacquered table. “How?”

“Year of Renewal. The past does not matter anymore, only our purity before the Creator. “Magon shrugged. “Your father was beside himself when I left him. He said that those traitors could not be allowed to recover their lands, but we are more worried about them recovering their ships.”

“Surely they cannot compete with you on that department!”

Pharazôn tried to pick up the jar again, but the Gadirite beat him to it.

“Hundreds of years ago, when Andúnië was at the peak of its power, it was said that if all their ships were to be laid out in line, they could form a bridge between Númenor and the mainland. It was their fleet that blocked Ar-Adunakhôr´s troops from Umbar and almost delivered the victory to Alissha the Usurper.”

“And even then they could not take over. What chance do they have now? If they are clever, they will have learned from their mistakes”,  Pharazôn shrugged. Magon frowned.

That was a mistake. Their interest in this area was not. It gave them an enormous wealth in silver and silver steel, and made them the richest landholders in Númenor. Some say they were richer than the Kings themselves.”

“Do you mean that they used to have interests here? In the Bay of Gadir?”

“They built settlements along the coast, of which the most important lay at the mouth of the Great River, and made deals with Elves and Dwarves and all kinds of enemies to the Sceptre”, Magon explained. “If we allow them to set foot here again, our city will be ruined. So will our associates in Sor, and maybe Sor itself. We must not allow them to rebuild their former strength.” His usually suave voice acquired a brief tinge of steel. “Azzibal tells me that Lord Valandil is still hale, but that old age will catch up with him soon, and his heir Númendil is no match for us. But Númendil had a son, who was taken away from them when he was a child. He was a priest for a while, and then it was said that he had taken ship for Middle-Earth, which is the last anybody knows about him. The King is looking for him now, but we must beat him to it.”

Pharazôn turned towards the balcony abruptly, wiping his forehead with his fist.

“Do you merchants ever do anything honourably?”

“We must do what is necessary to protect ourselves. Honour is something we will never have in their eyes, since they were born from high and mighty lineages and we were not. So we may as well forget about it”, Magon replied without batting an eyelash. When he saw that Pharazôn was going to leave the room, however, he put the cup down and stood up. “My lord prince!”

“Now, that´s unusual.” Pharazôn stopped in his tracks, forcing himself to swallow his impatience. This man wasn´t the son of Magon the Older, Pharazôn´s powerful grandfather, but one of his nephews, and still he had been named after him and was set to inherit his every business to the last coin. Merchants did not follow the rules of inheritance of noble families, choosing nephews, cousins, in-laws or even associates to be their heirs if they showed the greater promise. If this man had been selected over all others to take the older Magon´s place, then he wasn´t someone to fool around with.

“The King has been led to believe that there is unrest in the area”, the Gadirite said, standing up from his own chair and walking towards where Pharazôn stood. “We must not draw his attention towards us.”

“Meaning what?” The prince shrugged. “It is not unrest what I dealt with upstream; I believe the word would be war. The tribes...”

“There is no need to deal with them directly. There is always a neighbour who can do the job for us, if we know how to press him”, Magon explained. Pharazôn started to open his mouth, but the Gadirite spoke first. “You are the greatest general in Númenor, but whenever you make the slightest move the whole world hears about it. We cannot afford to have the King´s eye fixed on us, or he and his friends may find an excuse to interfere in the Bay.”

“So you are asking me to be an idle guest in your house.” Pharazôn´s eyes narrowed. How dare they be so ungrateful?

“You are no mere guest. You are a prince of Númenor! You are welcome to our council, to the meetings of our associates....”

“I am not interested in your schemes”, Pharazôn cut him, this time crossing the threshold without stopping. Behind his back, he could hear his cousin sigh.

“Tell Adherbal that I am going whoring with him tonight”, he said to the first servant he met on the corridor on the way to his quarters.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Of course I know someone suited for the job.” The general nodded, unable to hide his puzzlement as he picked up the branch of grapes offered to him by a woman with red-dyed hair and scant clothes. “All discretion. My own father’s associate. But may I ask why the secrecy?”

Pharazôn shook his head with a grimace. The wine had started getting to his head, but not enough to veil his lucidity.

“The merchants, “he spat. “The King is looking for this man, and if they should learn that I know about his whereabouts they will try to get to him first to curry favour with the Sceptre. I will not deliver such a prize to them. They may be my mother´s family, but they are ungrateful bastards.”

“Aye, so they are,” Adherbal scowled. He had not taken very well to the news that Magon did not appreciate their “interference”. “Rest assured, my lord, he will be heading for the Middle Havens by tomorrow. Those fat peacocks won´t know what hit them.”

“Be careful. Your man must travel alone, and...” Pharazôn frowned, thinking furiously. “Scratch that. He will be taking a crew and going with one of the smaller ships. Tell the merchants that it needs repairing; they don´t have war shipyards in the Bay. Once they find him, put him on the ship and get him to Númenor directly.”

“Very well, my lord.” Adherbal waved the woman away as she pushed the curtain to deliver more drinks. “I wonder why would the King be looking for Hannishtart, though. He is a brave soldier. Maybe the Cave wants him back?”

Pharazôn picked a grape and let it burst inside his mouth.

“I am not sure. I think his grandfather has become an important lord, or something, and they need him back in Sor.”

Adherbal nodded, and mulled over this news for a moment before shrugging.

 

Beneath the Trees

Read Beneath the Trees

Halt!

There were arms grabbing him, clutching at his shoulder with the agony of fear, and yet the voice he had heard was not human like them. It had echoed in his head like the rumble of thunder, like the roar of the waves as they towered before his ship, dripping foam like fire from a dragon´s mouth.

The storm had crept upon them unnoticed, giving them no time to prepare against the onslaught. They had been drifting peacefully over a blue plain, when suddenly the blue had shattered into many shards, each of them pulling their boat in a different direction. The wind sang shrilly upon their heads, carrying grey thunderclouds that obscured the horizon.

“We must go back!”

Hannishtart shook himself away from the arms and knelt upon the deck, shaking violently. They could not go back, not anymore. There was nothing behind them.

And there is nothing before you. There never was.

He looked around him, and saw that everything had gone pitch black. The world had shrunk, until there was nothing in it but the tiny vessel which held the four of them. And it was sinking.

With a strong, creaking noise, the planks under his feet burst open.

“He is here! What do you want him?”

Hannishtart smothered a scream. His fall through darkness brusquely landed him in a bed of straw, wrapped in furs that exhaled a strong smell of cold sweat. A pale sun, shrouded in mist, rose behind the bars of a window, and someone was knocking at the door.

“What is it?” his voice inquired, his mind still trapped in the horror of his dream. He kicked the furs away, and his body felt the brief agony of the cold, until warm limbs pressed against his back.

“Are you awake? We have to meet with Rhuga. There has been a situation with those cursed barbarians”, they replied from the other side of the door. He nodded, willing the last residual traces of fear to disappear from his mind.

“Coming!”

The warm limbs moved away from his back, but this time he welcomed the chill. There was nothing like the autumn dawn of the North to bring a man back to his senses.

“You slept deep. They made big noise.”

Hannishtart turned towards the woman who had left the bed, just in time to catch the sock that she tossed in his direction. She was collecting the clothes that lay scattered here and there, stark naked. Her disheveled mane of hair, which was the colour of fresh straw, wiped the floor as she knelt to pick up something that had fallen under the bed.

Cold? What cold? he knew she would ask, if he marveled at her ability to stay completely unaffected by what made a strong man like him shiver. It´s no cold here. Cold is up North where I born, and warriors ride over frozen river without need for bridge. That is cold. And then she would laugh, and he would be left to wonder if she was mocking him.

He dressed swiftly, putting on layer upon layer of warm clothing while she unhooked a heavy fur cape from the wall and weighed it condescendingly. A heap of covers sprung in the wake of her steps as she passed by the hearth, and a dark face emerged from them.

“W´happened, ´rewegoingsmewhere?” the head mumbled sleepily. Hannishtart smiled.

“You can stay here and help with the cooking. I will be back later.”

The face looked briefly relieved before it fell asleep again. If Hannishtart could not grow used to the cold of the Middle Havens, the boy hated it with a passion. He had been born in Harad, where winters were warm and summers scorching hot.

“Do they having dinner here too?” the woman asked in a pointed tone, putting on a shawl and tying it over her breasts right in front of him. Hannishtart had finished with his shoes, and as he looked up he had to take a sharp breath. Her white, freckled skin fascinated him as much as it had fascinated countless shiploads of Númenoreans before him.

“Er... no”, he replied, shaking the distraction away as if it had been a bug in his hair.

“Good”, she nodded, pleased. He knew that she had noticed him acting like a fool, but she did not seem to mind. “Not enough for many people.” Turning away, she picked up the sword that rested by the door, and frowned at the renewed knocks that shook it. “Hanisar is coming! Stop hitting my door!”

In all that time, it had been impossible to get her to pronounce his name right. And it was mutual.

“Listen, Ulfin. If this takes too long, I may not be back for dinner either.” He tied the scabbard to his waist, and stood at the doorstep. “Take care of Ashad until I return.”

She nodded dully, already busy pulling the kettle away from the fire. As she leaned forwards, a sunray pierced through the wall of clouds for a moment, wringing a golden gleam from her hair.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“What happened?”

There were six men standing behind the door, all of them armed and covered in furs similar to his. Their horses had scattered behind them as they waited, and were grazing at the weeds that grew at the side of the road.

“There has been trouble with the timber workers. Rhuga claims that his men have been attacked by a horde of Northmen, and he is ranting that unless we guarantee their security the terms of our deal will be off”, one of them explained.

“Northmen? There has been none of those around here since the wars. Are they sure?”

“Of course they are not sure, but they will claim it, and use it as an excuse to cause trouble”, the Númenorean replied with a significant grimace. At a sign from him, one of the others had walked behind the hut, from where he emerged a minute later with Hannishtart´s horse in tow. Hannishtart grabbed the reins and mounted it in one sweeping motion; everybody followed suit behind him.

The land that surrounded them was very different from Umbar and Númenor. It held an almost otherwordly quality in his eyes, with endless barren hills that glittered with the morning frost. The whole area had been covered in forest once, but it had receded many miles upstream because of the Númenorean hunt for timber to build and repair their ships.

What made the landscape really haunting as far as Hannishtart was concerned, however, was the sky. Sometimes sunny, often clouded, it was never clear as in the other places of the world. The sunlight always felt veiled, as if a mist had broken it in pieces and taken the warmth away from its kiss, and its glow gave the land and the people a pale and eerie look.

Their road went side by side with the Agathurush, retracing its meandering course as the Haven by the sea grew smaller and disappeared in the distance. It climbed slowly through higher and higher hills full of scattered stones, and broken stumps of what had once been mighty trees. There was no boat coming down the river that day, no barge foundering under the weight of timber sliding with the current towards the haven. Both land and river were ominously empty.

The ghost of a sun was already high up in the sky when they reached the village of the barbarians, and found a throng of men gathered before the gates. They were people of short stock, stronger than the Haradrim, and even wilder-looking. In the past, they had ambushed and killed Númenoreans in the wilderness, burned their timber and raided their encampments, and all these years later their outlandish paint and long beards still bore witness to their ferocity. Today in particular, the sombre look in their eyes made Hannishtart acutely aware that allies could revert to enemies as easily as one could flip a blade.

As they drew closer, there were murmurations, and someone shouted at them. Hannishtart ignored it, climbing down from his horse with perfect dignity.

“I will speak to Rhuga and learn what has happened here.”

His eyes sought one of the barbarians, whom he knew to be the brother of their chief. The man swallowed.

“He wants to see you”, he said, his forced bravado shrill to the ears. Something had put those people on edge, beyond their usual mistrust of Númenoreans, and this did not help Hannishtart´s feeling of unease. As he followed the barbarian through the crowd, which parted before him like reluctant waves before the keel of a ship, he wondered if things could have such an easy explanation as his men seemed to believe.

A horde of Northmen...

If it was true, it was dire news indeed. The tribes of the land had been a nightmare for the Númenoreans and their enterprises during centuries of raids and bloody ambushes. Like the Haradrim, they felt wronged by the Sea-men who had come to cut their forests and settle in their lands, and there was great tenacity in how they had refused to leave the desertic hills that had once been their home to make sure that their enemies would find no peace in them. Beaten over and over, they had just licked their wounds and attacked again.

This situation had not come to an end until barely twenty years ago. All of a sudden, a new people of fierce warriors with yellow hair had swarmed down the riverbanks, hacking and burning everything in their path. They came from the far North, rode horses, and did not know fear. Overnight, the local tribes had found themselves trapped between two blades, driven relentlessly towards the territory of their ancestral enemies by the spears of their new ones. The old Commander of the Middle Havens, who had immediately seen the benefit of this situation, had agreed to take them all in and holed himself up in the coastal settlements, well-protected by a fleet that brought regular supplies through a sea that the Northmen could not penetrate. Before six months had passed, the Northmen were decimated for lack of provisions, and ships full of trained soldiers sailed from Sor and Umbar to prepare for a full-scale offensive. When the time was ripe the Númenoreans launched their attack, and such had been the slaughter that it was said that not a single yellow-haired warrior had been sighted ever since. Only the tales remained, of Northmen who sang in battle, of large Northwomen who killed themselves and their children before falling in the hands of the enemy -and of one girl who was taken before she had the chance to do so.

Ulfin -that was not how her name sounded in truth, but neither the locals nor the Númenoreans had managed better- had been quite young when her people came. Hannishtart had tried to ask her about the reason which had driven them to undertake such a journey, taking their women and their young with them, but that was the point where their usually fluid conversation dissolved into an excruciating jumble of strange words and broken concepts. All Hannishtart had been able to gather was that something ominous had happened, something that forced Ulfin´s people to leave their lands, but she did not know how to put it in words that a Númenorean could understand. She spoke of fire and worms, which reminded Hannishtart of tales he had heard a long time ago, and mountains, and strange people who didn´t seem to belong to any of the races that he knew of. There were some who were human during the day and prowled the woods as beasts by night, and others who lived deep underground and never came out until they turned into stone. Once, Hannishtart had felt frustrated enough to accuse her of lying; she had glared at him and refused to speak for the night.

As she had been captured by their new allies, who had just been forced to agree to lay down their weapons and start cutting what they had heretofore claimed to be their timber for the benefit of the Númenoreans, the Commander had let the barbarians keep their loot in order not to cause more ripples. She was, however, an object of the deepest fascination for locals and islanders alike, and after a rather ugly spot of trouble arose between her and Rhuga´s main wife, the Númenoreans had been more than glad to offer her protection. In all these years their patronage had not dwindled, a remarkable circumstance given that she was of the short-lived people of Middle-earth. Hannishtart had been introduced to her as soon as he jumped off the ship two years ago, and soon they had grown quite close. Because of the boy, he had told himself. The boy liked her. They came from the opposite ends of the world and still he was fonder of the furs in the floor of her cottage than he was of any Númenorean blankets woven across the Sea.

“This way”, his guide announced, as if he had never been there before. Hannishtart blinked to accustom his eyes to the darkness of the thatched cottage. It would not do to look disoriented once he was facing them.

Rhuga sat on a high chair, looking markedly down on him. His grey beard almost reached his belly, and his eyes were small and proud. Hannishtart had been warned hundreds of times not to give in to a barbarian, whatever his rank or the circumstances, so he did not bow.

“Greetings, chief Rhuga. I was told that there have been incidents with the workers,” he began, getting quickly to the point. “I came here to be informed.”

Those tribesmen usually had two expressions when dealing with Númenoreans: fear and distaste. Rhuga´s face was brimming with the second now; though there was also something beneath, the same anxiety he had perceived in the people outside. He spoke words in his language, which one of his men translated for Hannishtart´s benefit.

“See for yourself.” Everybody´s gaze turned to the floor at his right, and as he followed them he realized that a large bundle of cloth was lying there, covering something. Even as he began opening his mouth again, two of Rhuga´s men knelt around the bundle and jerked the cloth away. Hannishtart could feel the breath of his companions, who had entered the building behind him, get caught in their throat at the same time as his.

One of the corpses had had both head and arms hacked off. The other had been cut in two by a very strong blow; the rictus of pain was somehow similar to a sinister lopsided grin. Blood had congealed over their clothes and skin, acquiring an almost black tinge and exuding an acrid smell that reached his nostrils in waves as the cover was lifted. He fought the urge to cover them.

“These wounds are known. Northmen did it.”

“And where are those Northmen now?” a man of the Númenorean party asked, hiding his repugnance by arching an eyebrow. “From what I have heard of the past wars, stealth was not among their strengths.”

“They came by night, swift in their large beasts. Up there, upstream.” Rhuga´s arm pointed vaguely North, towards the river and the cutting areas. “Our people were sleeping, and they were all killed. No survivors.”

“Then how...?” Hannishtart cut his companion with a sharp motion of his hand, and turned towards the old man in his chair.

“Guide me to the place. I want to examine it.”

This time, Rhuga did not pretend that he hadn´t understood him. Before the interpreter could speak, he had already started to deliver his answer. Around them, a flurry of excited whispers arose.

“We do not need examination. We need Númenorans to kill Northerners that kill our people.”

“If you need us to get rid of your enemies, you will have to ask in a different tone”, Hannishtart spoke forcefully now, though in his heart he was worried. Those people had been known to be quite cunning in the past. Could they be up to something? “I will not risk anybody´s life by acting rashly.”

“We will not work until they are gone”, Rhuga replied. “No timber. No ships.”

“That is no good. You have to make a choice.” Hannishtart looked directly into the old man´s eyes, and it soothed him just briefly that he saw him balk. “Who is your enemy, the Northerners or the Númenoreans? You cannot be an enemy to both.” When neither he nor the interpreter made a reply, he shrugged. “Think about it.”

The barbarians liked effect. They chose their chiefs among people who had mastered the ability to yell threats and glare at the others afterwards, and Hannishtart could perceive that he had hit the mark. Taking advantage of it, as their tempers were also volatile enough, he turned to the interpreter.

“I need two guides. Food, too.” And the guides will taste it first, he thought as he saw a familiar, gaudily-dressed woman stand up at a nod from Rhuga and head towards the back door. “Zakarbal.”

“Yes?” The young man who had argued against the barbarian logic turned towards him.

“Ride back to the Havens and tell the Commander that we need reinforcements. Go as quick as you can.”

Zakarbal bowed, and strode away from the darkness of the building.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The guides offered to them were both young men. Though on foot, they were able to keep the speed of the horses, and did not seem tired even after trekking several miles upstream. Hannishtart remembered stories about those tribesmen as they had been before they joined hands with Númenor; how their swift and silent deployments had been impossible to trace until their axes were upon them. He hoped he had not been wrong to leave without waiting for the reinforcements.

“This way”, one of them called in heavily accented Adûnaic. They had just left the desert behind and entered the Forest; an almost impenetrable mass of trees that made the islanders feel even more uneasy than they already were. Here, the barbarians seemed to feel at home, choosing their path without a second thought and only stopping, now and then, to wait for them. It might have been Hannishtart´s imagination, but in this twilight they looked different, dangerous like shadows that were cast by no owner and powerful like warriors in their own territory. For this was their territory, more than the cottages beside the river that they now called home.

That was why it came as a relief, mingled with shock, when the trees gave way to a clearing, littered with stumps that exhibited saw marks like gaping wounds on flesh. When the weak sunlight fell upon them, some of Hannishtart´s companions muttered a prayer of thanks to the Lord of Battles, and the grip on the reins was eased as their companions shrunk back into their familiar clumsy and short figures. Suddenly, in a brief flash of insight that burst into his mind as the light before his eyes, the Númenorean warrior felt that he understood, both his people´s will to cut all the trees that grew like a dark menace around their own settlements, and the rage of the men who were made to tear their strength apart with their own hands.

Those, however, were distracting feelings, so he dismissed them with a shake of his head.

“Is this the place?” he asked. Beyond the clearing the Agathurush was full of barges, some empty and some already loaded with timber, but all of them tied to posts. Three wooden cabins stood behind them, and as their horses trotted towards them they had to wade through logs that had been half-chopped or just dropped there to await their turn.

“Did everybody flee after it happened?”

“No flee.” One of the guides shook his head. “All dead.”

They seemed to be growing shifty as they trudged on through the open space towards the river and the cabins. Hannishtart, who had been lost in his thoughts, fell back on his guard. Starting with that fateful day when he arrived to Umbar many years ago, a young man in age and experience, he had been ambushed and trapped more times than he could count.

“Why do you stop?” one of his men barked at the barbarians. They had frozen in place after jumping over a log pile, right in front of the first cabin´s broken door, and seemed to be whispering among themselves. When they realized that the Númenoreans were right behind, they fell silent at once.

“Can be more of them”, one of them explained.

“More Northerners, “ the other supplied.

Hannishtart had heard enough.

“Northerners do not ambush. We would have heard them come from leagues away.” He dismounted and stared both of them down, threateningly. “Why do you insist so much on them being behind this?”

“That is right.” The other soldiers followed his example, and fell behind him. “It is your people who have sneaked on us and stabbed us in the back since we ever set foot on Middle-earth, so how do we know it´s not some conspiracy of yours?”

“No conspiracy. Please.” One of the guides was really young. “See.”

Shaking away his reluctance, he advanced slowly towards the door and crept inside. Hannishtart prevented the other barbarian from following him with a sharp gesture of his hand.

“You can follow me. There are nobody. Only dead,” the young man called, almost beseechingly. He sounded unnerved.

Hannishtart nodded. His men and the barbarian walked with him towards the door.

The first thing that struck him was the smell he had perceived down at Rhuga´s house, when the corpses were exhibited before him. Here it was stronger, and also more insidious and rotten, and he almost reeled at the impact. One of the Númenoreans grumbled a curse.

“What in the name of the Wolf...”

There was some light coming from the door, and from a window on the opposite side of the building. By its dim gleam, they could see that the ground was littered with corpses, every one of them as gruesome as those that had been brought to the village downstream. The air was buzzing with flies, worrying at their mouths and eyes.

The barbarian who had entered first was shivering. The other said something to him in their language, something sharp that sounded like a recrimination, and he tensed.

Mastering his repugnance, Hannishtart approached the corpses that lay closest, and started examining them. Various parts of their bodies had been hacked off, or sported large gashes through which they must have lost their blood. The tale they told was of axes, and a quick, frantic struggle after being caught by surprise.

“There”, one of his men whispered, pointing at a corner. A man appeared to be sitting there, with his back against the wall; as he looked closer, Hannishtart realized that the body had been pinned in that position by an arrow that pierced its flank and then embedded itself on the wood. He walked over six corpses to kneel at its side.

The arrow was black and feathered. He grabbed the shaft and pulled with all his strength, until it wrenched free first with a shrill sound, then with a squelching one. Blood oozed from the re-opened wound as the corpse hit the floor.

Hannishtart brought the point to his nose, and sniffed. Beyond the scent of caked blood, there was another -one that he knew very well.

“Orc poison”, he spoke to the silence.

“You liars!” There was the sound of running, and a struggle, and then a sharp noise as the angry Númenorean pushed the barbarian against the wall. His hand closed around his neck. “You knew all along! You probably are in league with them, you...!”

“Let him go.” Hannishtart turned back sharply. His mind was still reeling from the implications, but he could not afford to look confused in front of the others. They had not wanted them to come here. They must have known they would see this.

But why?

“Why didn´t your leader want us to know about the Orcs?” he asked the young man, who was on his knees gasping for breath. Belatedly, he realized that the other had fled.

“Because they are in league with them!” the Númenorean who had held him a moment ago spat in anger. The barbarian shook his head, pointing at the corpses with his chin.

“No... league. No friends. Look.”

Hannishtart knew where both his defiance and the other man´s suspicious attitude came from. He had heard the stories about tribesmen of the distant past, who wandered off their land with the warriors of the night and never returned. Legends said that their skin had darkened until they became like them, and also that now and then a tribe warrior had killed an enemy that looked strangely like one of their own. The Númenoreans, who already saw this dark and elusive people as little better than Orcs, and who had dealt with the alliance between Haradric tribes and the folk of Mordor down South, had not found this story hard to believe. There had probably been some interbreeding in the past.

“You want to direct our attention elsewhere because we would not help you fight the Orcs.” It was a statement, more than a question. “If it was the Northmen, we would have to go up in arms and protect this site because it was in the treaty.”

The young barbarian seemed uncomfortable. He spoke without meeting his eyes.

“I...I do not know. I only... guide.”

That was the truth, then.

“Once we were here with all our men, Rhuga hoped that we would be forced to finish the work even after we noticed that we had been deceived”, Hannishtart continued.

“I knew we could not trust this lying Orc spawn!”

“No.” For the first time, his glance was met with a defiant glare. The barbarian was frowning at him. “Orcs kill you. Orcs kill us. Night warriors hate us all. But we will not beg. That is why.”

“That is why what?”

“That is why they said it was the Northerners”, Hannishtart finished for him. “They will not beg for protection.” He looked beyond the belligerent young man, at the corpses that rotted around them. Orcs were not like Men, like any kind of Men, or so he had been taught long ago, in another life beyond the Sea. And yet, here in this shadow world, he had often seen them do the same things.

The Númenorean men, too.

“We will wait for the reinforcements outside”, he determined. “I cannot eat here, there are too many flies.”

“Maybe we should ride to meet them instead. There is no point in remaining here”, somebody suggested as he crossed the threshold, hungry for fresh air.

“Someone has been killing people here, and interfering with business”, he replied, shrugging his shoulders. “Whoever it is, I will have them.”

“But...”

“I have heard it was not pleasant when the forest tribes were our enemies.” He opened the pack that hung from the horse´s flank, and extracted the bag of food Rhuga´s wife had given him. Her hands had been almost as large as his, they said she had drowned Ulfin´s baby with them. “We will not convince the Orcs to ally with us, but with this people it has worked for the last twenty years. By the Eternal King, how is one supposed to eat this?”

Inside the bag was a bowl of meat, raw and finely minced with herbs, and no tool to pick it up. Not even bread. Still wearing a stormy frown, the man who had argued with him made a disgusted noise and turned away.

“Put it on leaves. Roll them”, the barbarian told him. Hannishtart realized that there was a roll of long, tender green leaves at the bottom of the bag, and sat on a log to extricate it out. Tree people, they called themselves.

“Ah. Those.”

The young man was staring at the distance, and did not reply. Still, as Hannishtart was wolfing down his food, he could surprise him stealing strange glances in his direction. It was only a moment until he realized it and looked away.

“What meat is this?” the Númenorean asked, to break the uncomfortableness.

“Rat meat.” The young man´s voice could not hide a trace of smugness as he said this. Hannishtart cursed to himself.

“It is nice. You should have some, too. So it will not go to waste, “ he added, looking at the others, who were sharing some mouldy biscuits and markedly ignoring the barbarian food. The strange glance came back, with something that seemed like confusion.

“Are you going to fight Orcs?” the young man finally asked. Hannishtart nodded.

“Yes.”

Silence.

“Is there anything else you have been hiding on Rhuga´s orders?”

There was more silence for a while, only broken by the whispers of the other soldiers. Some were not happy with him, he was sure.

Finally, the barbarian spoke.

“It started three moons ago. They come at night, and they come to kill. Men fight bravely, but warriors of the night come again. And again. And again.”

“So, this has been happening for a while.” The Commander had been complaining about the low level of production. “But this time was different.”

The young man nodded.

“Too many of them. There was nothing we could do.” We? “I had idea, of jumping inside barge and float downstream like logs.”

“You were there?” Hannishtart was surprised. “Rhuga said there were no survivors.”

Rhuga lied. Again. And of course he wasn´t going to hear that from this man.

“Come over here.” The Númenórean put the bowl aside, and sat on the ground, pointing to a spot across him. After some surprised reluctance, his companion followed his example, watching as his fingers draw a neat square next to a winding line. “This is the river. This is the cabin. Now, can you explain exactly what happened?”

The young barbarian seemed torn. He looked at the figures as if he did not understand, then dragged his hand through the earth, as if fascinated by the lines that his fingers drew on it. His muscles were in tension, like those of a trapped deer.

“I... I was here”, he finally stammered, pointing at the Southern wall of the square. His voice came out like a hiss, and Hannishtart was glad that the other barbarian was not there anymore to shame him into keeping silent. “As guard. I was alone. Sleepy. And then... I heard...”

Behind them there was a small commotion. Three of the soldiers stood up, one of them pointing at the horizon while another muttered “At last!!” Hannishtart narrowed his eyes against the wind to take in the sight of the Númenorean host riding upstream.

“We have time. What happened then?” he asked the young man, whose misgivings had returned with a vengeance. Slowly, he set himself to coax him to look at the map again. “We are going to fight them. We could use your help. What happened then?”

The barbarian bit his lip.

“Then... they were here.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

They were barely three hundred men, raised and equipped at short notice. As they trudged along the riverbank Hannishtart could make out their leader, a thin and severe man by the name of Barekbal who acted as vice-commander of the garrison at the Havens. He advanced at the head of the column, riding a bay horse, and motioned to him from the distance. Hannishtart stood up to receive him.

“Now what on the name of the Lord of Battles has been going on here?” Barekbal tugged at the reins until the horse was still; then he fixed him with a grave look. “I trust you would not raise an army out of a whim.”

Hannishtart considered the new development carefully. The arrival of this man meant that the decisions to be made would no longer be in his hands. Given what he had chosen as the best course of action just a while ago, and what he had been able to get out of the young barbarian in the meantime, this could easily lead to disaster.

“There has been... there has been great slaughter up here.” He chose his words carefully. “Whoever did this, they were many, and strong.”

“There were Orc arrows in there”, one of his men informed, coming forwards. Hannishtart bit back a sigh.

“So it was not the Northerners.” Barekbal looked neither angry nor relieved. “I wondered.”

“As I said, whoever did this came in great numbers,” Hannishtart repeated in a louder voice, before anyone else could interfere. “I have been gathering information, and I think that their aim was not just raiding or pillaging. This is a cunning enemy, gathering and deploying their forces in preparation for a farther-reaching strike.”

Barekbal arched an eyebrow.

“And how do you know that? Did you have the chance to chat with their general?”

“No. But they were very careful not to leave anyone alive. And they took nothing. They did not even stay to burn the timber.” He levelled his incredulous superior with a frown. “This is not normal Orc behaviour. They are either allied with another enemy or following someone´s orders.”

“Allied with another enemy, you say?” Barekbal´s small eyes fell on the young man who had been talking to Hannishtart until the Númenoreans came, and who was still sitting under the log, tracing lines in the dust with his finger. “Such as an enemy who showed every interest in the world in luring us here, and who lied to us about the threat we were facing?”

“That would make no sense, Lord Vice-Commander.” Hannishtart protested. “They have suffered brutal casualties.”

“Orcs tend not to respect agreements when there are humans to kill.” Barekbal snorted, not amused. “That is why they do not make very good allies.”

This entire train of thought was so absurd, and at the same time so predictable, that Hannishtart felt a momentary urge to scream in frustration. The irony of the fact that the barbarians had a better measure of them than they had of the barbarians was not lost on him.

“There were no survivors. The people who came up here to see what happened were distracted by fear. They would attribute this disaster to the fiercest enemy they could recall having faced. And in any case” Hannishtart pointed North with his chin, “this is a serious threat that we should try to stop, lest we want it at our doorsteps next.”

“I will see about that. They still lied, and we must discover with what intent.” The tone of the Vice-Commander´s voice was discouraging of any further argument. “By the way, Hannishtart. You are required to go back immediately.”

Hannishtart froze.

“I have been trying my best to do my duty since I was summoned”, he protested. “I only ask for an opportunity to see it through.”

“You did not understand me.” Barekbal´s eyes narrowed. “You are immediately required to go back to Númenor.

For a while Hannishtart merely stood there, wondering if the humourless man was trying to pull a joke on him. A swarm of mad ideas took his mind by the storm, together with a fear he had almost forgotten he had felt once, before all these long years of living in the margins.

“What...?” he began, but his voice sounded as if it had come from a great distance, and he was not sure that Berekbal had heard it. “Who...?”

“A ship came in this morning. They came from the Bay of Gadir, with orders to bring you to Sor.” You must pack your things and report to the Commander in the Havens as quickly as possible.” The man´s forehead creased in a frown. “Your role in this mission is over now.”

A moment ago, Hannishtart would have protested, asked for a little more time and worried about how the situation could escalate into a conflict with the local tribes if his advice was disregarded. But like his voice, all this suddenly seemed very distant now. Blood pounded in his ears.

“Who wants me in Sor?” he asked, trying to school his features into not showing his inner turmoil.

Barekbal looked at him. For a moment, Hannishtart could see something strange in his eyes, but he did not know what it was.

“The King.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The sky was clouding as Hannishtart galloped down the riverbank and through the coils of the hill road towards the coast, as swiftly as if a horde of Northerners was chasing him.

An attack by the yellow-haired savages had always been a possibility in this place, and those who claimed that they had known it was not them would lie, if they pretended that it had not crossed their mind even once. Now, they knew that Orcs were gathering their forces under the command of someone who had the ability to strategize, something that had not happened this far North except in the dusty scrolls of the Great Temples. The natives, themselves, were a fierce people on their own right, and merely twenty years ago fathers still taught their sons how to creep behind their Númenorean enemies and cut their throats. Since he had landed on the Middle Havens, Hannishtart had awoken every morning ready to deal with these dangers, and before that he had dealt with many others, alliances of Orcs and Southrons sealed by their common hatred of Númenor, armies bred in Mordor to attack the Bay and secure its riches, villagers who turned out to be deadly fighters ready to catch him in an unguarded moment, merciless sieges and gigantic monsters that could trample a man with only one of their oversized legs. He had been horrified, he had been scared and he had been nauseated, and yet none of those emotions could compare with this old fear, which had remained deeply buried inside his chest since so many years ago that it had almost seemed gone.

Now it was back, racking his body with sharp pangs that alternated with the no less painful bouts of remembrance. For all these years, he had forgotten that the feelings connected to his homeland could be as bright and intense as the colours of its landscape, when compared with the grey skies and foggy horizons that surrounded him now.

Once, he had been a prisoner in a merchant house, chasing the imaginary enemies of his mother´s tales through busy corridors and narrow stairs. He had been taken before the King through an endless hall of obsidian, a terrifying man with black and frozen eyes who wanted him dead though he, as a child, did not know why. He had buried his head in the chest of a woman who shook, her fingers cold and clammy against his back after the unknown men fled from his chambers. His face had been pressed against the fumes of an altar of fire until he thought he was burning, but a man had saved him. He had served Melkor, he had served Ashtarte-Uinen, he had thought that any day, at any moment, the king with the frozen eyes could change his mind and kill him, or murder his son. He was the offspring of traitors, of people who spoke strange languages and spoke of the Elves as if they were friends, and good, and wise. Through all these years he had forgotten their tales, but he had remembered their faces, and they had been kind and loving.

They had named him Amandil, in their tongue.

News of the death of the King and his succession had not reached this Northern outpost until a month after it happened. He remembered feeling happy about the death of Ar-Gimilzôr, but the hopes he may have harboured in much earlier days, of the world turning upside-down and of him being allowed to reunite with his family and become a great lord had died long ago. He had chosen to live in the fringes, away from the sight and reach of the powers of the Island, and there he would remain until the end of his days. Nobody would be able to trace his son back to him, which would be a good thing for the boy and his mother, and his family would never know that he had betrayed them and sworn allegiance to the gods of their enemies and those who fought for them. This certainty had seeped through his very bones year after year, until it became the only thing he could see in the horizon.

And now, this certainty was blown to pieces.

What could the new king want of him? How could he have known where he was, who he was? Was he like his father, rooting out the members of his family from their hiding places to assuage his fears? And if so... if he had found him, even here, wouldn´t he have found his son, who lived under his very nose in Armenelos? The idea frightened him more than facing a swarm of Orcs in a dark wood.

Reeling, he dismounted and walked away from his horse. His course had steered automatically towards Ulfin´s cottage, and it was there that he arrived while he was too absorbed in his thoughts to pay attention. As he made it to the doorstep, he could hear voices coming from the inside, and stopped to peer through the window.

Ulfin and Ashad were sitting next to the fireside. She had bent over a pot, which she stirred with a large iron spoon while her other hand stretched to pick up something that he was offering to her. All of a sudden, it struck Hannishtart that he had inadvertently been building a family here, a family like the one he had left behind.

Ulfin raised her gaze from her cooking, and leaned towards the boy to tell him something. Their foreheads almost touched, Southern dark against Northern white, as if they were sharing a secret. The first raindrops pattered against the thatched roof and slid down the side of Hannishtart´s face.

She was not his wife. And he was not his son, not even hers.

Everything in this land, the fear, the love, had been false, a mere reflection of something that existed somewhere else.

The skies were dark with the colour of storm.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The sound of the door creaking open made them jerk apart from each other. Then she stood up, seeming strangely relieved to see him.

“I greet you back”, she said. Behind her, Ashad hurried to pick up the spoon that she had discarded, and continued stirring without looking up. “Sea-man came earlier, a new one, and gave me something for you.”

So they had been here, too. “What is it?”

Ulfin walked towards the back of the cottage, as the raindrops started hitting louder and quicker. While she rummaged there, Hannishtart turned his attention to Ashad, who would not look at him. It dawned in his mind that maybe they knew.

“Did you have a good day?”

“...yes.” The monotonous, almost inaudible tone contrasted sharply with the renewed vigour of the stirring. At that moment, Ulfin re-emerged with a small cylindric box in one hand. Hannishtart could recognize it as a Númenorean box for letters, and took it in some trepidation. It had no name or seal on the outside, but as he extracted the roll of paper his eyes widened.

“Who gave it to you and what did he say?” he asked, trying in vain to keep his expression guarded.

“He is tall. Dark eyes and dark hair, like your people. Clothes smell of salt”, she began. “He come from Ga-dir in the South, and he hear that you stay here for all night. So he give me letter to make sure you read it and nobody before.”

“And you read it”, he hissed, more to find an outlet for the unbearable tension as he skimmed through the first lines. Absorbed by them, he missed her defensive frown.

“We are worried! And we not read all. Too many letters”, she spat, as if she found that a cause for censure. Hannishtart´s eyes were starting to blur, but he still managed to decipher Pharazôn´s message.

 

Greetings, friend.

Your house has been recalled and allowed to return home in the West, and this includes you. The King, however, does not know where you are. He is not as far-seeing as he wants others to believe, but I am. This ship will take you directly to Sor; all the crew is to be trusted. Do not trust anyone else. The merchants of Gadir are out for your blood, and their allies of Umbar and Sor will be only too glad to help them. Something about your ancestors being their rivals in business.

Destroy this letter as soon as you have read it, and then get into the ship without delay. We will talk about the rest when we meet in the Island.

Pharazôn

(Your family is doing well.)

 

Hannishtart lowered the letter, taking a deep breath. His head was beginning to turn. So it was Pharazôn who had sent the ship to get him. The King seemed to mean no harm, but there were other people who did, as it had always been since he was old enough to remember. It was difficult to decide which enemy was worse; everybody knew that Middle-earth belonged to the merchants, and so did the Númenorean harbour where the ship would be bound to arrive.

On the other hand, his family had been recalled. This had to mean that they were not traitors anymore, as it had always been claimed. They would be able to go back to their beautiful stone harbour, their green lands and their groves of golden trees, which he had never seen but somehow kept in a corner of his mind, together with other blurred things that he associated with his blurred mother.

He should be happy. However, he did not seem able to muster that emotion anymore, not in a pure, proper way disentangled from the claws of worry and fear and confusion.

Ulfin heaved the pot away from the fire.

“How much since you see your wife?” she asked, jerking him brusquely away from his thoughts.

“Twenty years”, he answered mechanically. Forty since he left Armenelos. Her eyes turned into large wells of grey shock.

“Is she young? As... you?”

It occurred to Hannishtart, all of a sudden, that Amalket might not be as young as him anymore. He discarded the thought. It was not the time to be worrying about such things.

“Yes”, he replied. She muttered something that sounded like “Elf”, and started pouring the stew into the bowls. As he looked at the fire he remembered that he was still holding the letter in his hand, like a child would a toy, and folding it he gave it to the flames. Ashad watched wide-eyed for a while before turning away again.

Ashad. Hannishtart knew now why he had been behaving like this.

“I like to take him”, Ulfin spoke conversationally, sitting beside him and looking at the boy as if she had guessed Hannishtart´s train of thought. “He grow fast, doesn´t he? And then he fish in river and repair roof and protect me.” He began opening his mouth, but she was faster. “But he no want. He want with you.”

“But Númenor...” Hannishtart took a deep breath. It did not escape him that the boy was heavily pretending not to hear the conversation as he wolfed down the stew. “Númenor is not a good place for...” Númenor was a sanctuary. “It is the sanctuary of the Sea People.”

“Many of my people is taken there.”

“To be executed”, Hannishtart retorted, wishing that this discussion could be postponed, ignored or taken outside. “Oh, there are some barbarians in Númenor who are alive, but they are not... “He sought for an appropriate word for her to understand, and came up with none. “It is not a good life”, he finished simply.

“But he is with you.” Ulfin´s voice became a little fiercer. “Do he not?”

“That is not the point!” Hannishtart seethed. The Númenoreans in Middle-earth felt superior to the barbarians, everybody knew that, but none of them could imagine how it was in Númenor itself, where they were few and seen as exotic animals from the mainland. And none of them had ever gone freely and willingly to the island beyond the Great Sea, which was so far from their own world and so different. “You would never understand.”

Ulfin did not reply. Ashad, meanwhile, had snuck away at some point of the conversation. Hannishtart wondered if he would be back to say goodbye, or if things were better left as they were for the boy´s own good. He deserved to live with those who grew and aged like him, marry one of their women and have children like him. Hannishtart could do no more good in his life from now on, as unfair as it seemed.

“Please, take care of him. I will leave...” He looked around him, and stood up to gather his cloak, his bag, his sword. “All this is yours now. They will give you good money for them.”

“You have to enter sanctuary naked?” Ulfin asked curiously. Hannishtart would have laughed, if only he could. Anxiety had tied his gut.

“And the horse. You can take the horse, too, for both of you. We ride ships.” He swallowed down the last of his stew. “He will be fine.”

“You never hope going back.” Ulfin put the bowl aside, watching him as if in dawning comprehension. “You think you stay here, all your life.”

“That is...” Hannishtart shook his head, as if to dismiss her words, then gave up. Maybe he had. Maybe he did not know how to feel about it all, maybe he was too far gone to be able to live in the Island once again. The sanctuary, he thought with a bitter smile.

Maybe it was just a brief confusion, and after the world settled around him, he would regain his clarity. Ulfin was not his wife, Ashad was not his son, and the Middle-havens were not his home. He had just pretended that they were for too long.

“If I go back to my people, I afraid,” Ulfin said. “What if I find enemy tribe instead? What if family is dead? What if they not know me? And, what if they not want me because I lie with Sea people and Forest people and drive me away?” Hannishtart turned towards her, and was surprised to see her blue-grey eyes staring at the window, darkened by a strange emotion. “But I want to go. Still. This is not home.”

Shaken, he realized that her words had mirrored his own unvoiced thoughts of moments ago. He looked at her, as if it was the first time he saw her at all.

“Ulfin...” he began. A knock on the door made the rest die in his lips.

“Coming!” she shouted, struggling to her feet and rushing towards the source of the noise. An unfamiliar man, Númenorean by his looks, stood at the threshold.

“Is he not back yet?” he asked, then peered behind the woman and saw the other figure sitting by the hearth. His eyes narrowed. “Lord of Battles! You are whiling your time away with women when there is such need for speed! We are leaving right away.”

“This is man who bring letter”, Ulfin explained, needlessly. Hannishtart stood up.

“I am not whiling away my time. I was just having a bite before I went away on a long trip”, he said in a steely voice, refusing to feel embarrassed. Ulfin hurried to get his cloak, but he refused it. “I said you could have it.”

The newcomer raised an eyebrow.

“You are Hannishtart, are you not?” Before he could reply, he waved it away as if it had been a stupid question. “We must be swift.”

“I will take my horse, then. “Hannishtart turned to Ulfin, unsure of what was one supposed to say to a woman who had shared their bed often and would never do so again. “You can go tomorrow and take it back. Or Ashad could go.”

“What horse?” the man asked, surprised.

“My horse is outside.” The Númenorean soldier shook his head.

“There are no horses outside.”

Hannishtart walked towards the doorstep, and crossed it. It was raining still, as it would be raining the next morning, and the next evening, and the one after that. Once it started to rain in this land, it always lasted long.

His horse had disappeared. He called for it, whistled for it, all in vain.

“We could both ride mine.” The man was obviously not forming a very good opinion of him. “The Havens are not far.”

As Hannishtart trudged behind his rescuer, shivering and wet and wondering what had happened with the horse, he saw Ulfin standing under the glow of the threshold, gazing at him with the superior look of a woman who knew something he did not.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It was wholly dark by the time they reached the Havens under the drizzle. Hannishtart was not taken to the Commander, but led through the deserted streets towards the place where the ship lay anchored in the harbour. When he asked about it, his companion shrugged under his cloak.

“Orders from the captain. He has arranged it all.”

Of course. Speed was crucial, and anybody could be an ally of the Merchant Princes, he guessed.  But still, he wished he could have taken his leave and begged the Commander to reconsider the matter with the Orcs that seemed more and more like a lifetime away, buried in the recesses of a different world. It was unlikely that he would ever know the outcome of it: in Númenor, the wars of the mainland were a matter of small importance, and knowledge of what happened beyond the sea quite scarce and inexact. He remembered himself believing, with his friend Pharazôn, that all of Middle-earth was but one great battleground where heroes in shining armour fought and defeated the evil creatures of Mordor.

As they approached the ship, they heard the sounds of turmoil on the docks. Alarmed, his companion unsheathed his sword and stood before him. Hannishtart was not used to being protected, and his impulse was to push him aside. To his shock, he heard a familiar voice rising above the shouts and curses of the men who struggled before the prow.

“I said go away, or I will throw you into the water! Do you know how to swim, boy?”

“I said he sent me ahead! Lord Hannishtart did! If you do not let me in, I´ll tell...”

“You will tell me?” Hannishtart advanced towards the group, not knowing whether to scream or laugh. Stupid boy. “And I suppose you also want to tell me about my stolen horse?”

Ashad stopped struggling. Even in this light, anyone could see him blush to the root of his hair. As if on cue, the two men who were holding him let him go.

“I-I was not going to keep it”, he mumbled after a while, so quickly that the words came out as an almost undistinguishable jumble.

“Do you know him?” one of the men who had been struggling, clearly a sailor, asked in an ill-tempered voice. Hannishtart was tempted to say no, but then they might throw him into the water for real. The men of the South hated swimming as much as they hated the sea and whatever came from it.

Why was this one being so stubborn?

He met the large, pleading eyes for a moment, and then, as his look travelled downwards, he noticed something that had fallen upon the irregular pavement. Leaning towards it, he realized it was Ashad´s few belongings, wrapped on a piece of red cloth that he remembered seeing at Ulfin´s house. It was lying half-open, the clothes strewn upon the floor, and a muddy footprint was upon one of them. He sighed.

But I do not want to go to Armenelos! I want to stay here! Mother, I want to stay here!

He resented the memories. Why did they flow into his mind now? He had always suppressed them, first because they brought him pain, and then... then, he guessed he had just forgotten, and good riddance.

That boy, long ago, had not wanted to listen to the Merchant Princes or his mother or be reasonable. He had wanted to stay with those that he loved.

“What do we do with him?” his escort asked in a low voice. One of the sailors moved to grab Ashad by the arm again, but the boy didn´t even look at him. He, Hannishtart, was the only person in the world for him now, and he had to repress a wince.

“I did send him. He is coming with me. He might have... misinterpreted the part about the horse, though.” Turning away from their shocked glances, he pointed at the ship with his chin. “I thought we were on a hurry?”

It seemed to him a long while before he heard footsteps behind him.


The Return

Read The Return

Dusk was speeding from the East. The sky grew darker by the moment, but for a spiral of clouds blazing red in the horizon, there where Hannishtart´s eyes could almost draw the shape of an irregular line of land trying to embrace the sea with two outstretched arms. Away in the distance, a seagull was crying.

“It cannot be far now. Tomorrow we will be able to see Sor.”

Hannishtart nodded in silence. The sailor stopped behind him, holding a length of coiled rope with both arms and fixing his glance in the same spot that his passenger had been observing for a while.

“I have seen others like you”, he said after a short, thoughtful silence. “Too many years in the mainland, huh?”

“What do you mean?” Hannishtart hid the unpleasant feeling in the pit of his stomach and adopted a mask of polite indifference. The other man laughed.

“I met a man in the Havens once. The day before he was going back, he drank with me. He said...” The sailor shook his head. “He said he could not believe that the island was still there where he left it. That sometimes he was afraid he had dreamed it. Could you imagine? Of course, he was piss drunk by then.”

“Well, I am not.”

Still, Hannishtart thought, as the feeling in his stomach increased, he had some idea of what the drunk soldier could have been trying to say. Sometimes, words were not enough to draw an accurate picture of one´s feelings, not for one whose life had been so different from that of the people who surrounded him. Númenor, he knew, was still there, and its people went on with their lives in exactly the same manner as they had before his ship left Sor.

That was what made it seem a dream.

“How long?”

Hannishtart sighed. The man was merely trying to be sympathetic, in his own fashion.

“Twenty years.” Somebody had started shouting indoors.

“That is a long time”, the sailor whistled.  “I understand it now...”

“Understand what?”

“The boy.” Hannishtart froze. “That you would want to bring him with you. Oh, there he is! Getting sick all over the place again, by the looks of it.”

As the volume of the shouts increased, a man appeared on deck, with the struggling Ashad in tow. Ignoring the boy´s protests, he threw him against the railing.

“I have told you a hundred times, you mongrel! Do you people have sand in your ears? If you are feeling sick, you come up here and throw it into the sea! Into the sea, do you hear? The Goddess help me if I catch you again spewing your filth all over the ship!”

Hannishtart, still reeling from the sailor´s insinuation, needed a moment to collect his wits.

“Oh, leave him be. His kind is afraid of the Sea.”

Muttering something that sounded like “his kind don´t belong here then”, the man released the boy and left. Ashad immediately slumped down the railing and curled over himself like a frightened animal.

“He is not my son.” Hannishtart declared, in a voice that came out louder than he had expected. He is not a mongrel. “His father died near Umbar.”

“Oh.” The sailor blinked, then shrugged. The coils of rope almost touched the deck.

It should not be his concern, anyway, whether a sailor believed him or not. The frown that creased his brow as he walked towards the boy´s slumped form was not directed at him, though it deepened as he wondered whether this misconception could come back in a more ominous form.

Ashad was not trembling; his limbs, however, were rigid as wood. Hannishtart knelt by his side and laid an arm over his shoulder.

“It is only water. It cannot sink the ship”, he lied. The world had shrunk, until there was nothing in it but the tiny vessel which held the four of them, and it was sinking...

“The blue is everywhere. It is under the ship, too, I can feel it”, Ashad murmured. “It can swallow anything.”

“Tomorrow we will reach land. Solid land.”

“It is not solid land,” Ashad shook his head, stubbornly. “The blue is all around it, too.”

“Middle-earth is surrounded by the sea as well. Did you know?” Ashad shook his head again. “A ship could sail North from the Havens or Umbar and reach them from the South. They say that Aldarion did it, a famous mariner of old who...”

“Could an island sink?” The boy interrupted his tale as if he hadn´t been listening to a word of it. Hannishtart´s eyes widened in surprise.

“No more than the mainland could!” he snorted. But laughter would not come to his lips, and he remembered a great wave that engulfed everything in its way. Of all his nightmares, that one was the worst, except for the one he could never recall after he woke up.

“You will see how firm our land is under your feet.” Raising his glance towards the west, he realized that the red glow had dwindled to a thin line that cleaved sea and sky apart. The first stars littered the dark dome above their heads, and he had to suppress a shiver. “But now you should go to bed.”

Ashad did not move at first, but followed meekly when Hannishtart pulled him up and guided him towards the inside of the ship. Even when he could not see “the blue”, it still frightened him. It had not been like this when they lived by the harbour at the Middle Havens, not even when they sailed along the coast from Umbar to the Northern post. Only when they lost sight of the shore, and found themselves in the middle of the Great Sea, the boy had suddenly run below deck and refused to come up. The dark and stifling bowels of the ship had made his nausea worse, bringing frequent curses to the lips of sailors and soldiers alike.

The sky was fully starred as Hannishtart emerged on deck once more. Constellations seemed to swim lazily in the sea above, the one that not even Númenorean ships could sail. Their seafarers had, however, learned to read them, and by their position navigate their way through the open sea that frightened others so much.

They were pointing toward Númenor now, hidden somewhere on the vanished line of the horizon.

Hannishtart rested his back against the railing, and closed his eyes against the creaking of wood and the splashing of water in his ears.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He woke up to the shouts of the captain and the voices of sailors climbing the mast, and manoeuvering the hard and crackling sails against the morning wind. His body ached as he opened his eyes and rubbed the haze away from them with the back of his hand. He stood up, leaning over the railing to take in the view.

Sor was before them, the many-towered city set against the red sky of dawn. The Orrostar and the Hyarrostar had engulfed their ship while he slept, and now they stood on the brink of being swallowed by the tighter embrace of the two Arms of the Giant, doorstep of the Island and the largest harbour in the world. Hannishtart looked up, but as much as he stretched the muscles in his neck he was unable to see beyond the knee of the gigantic statue of the Warrior, and the bristling wolf that curled against his left foot, baring its fangs at incoming travelers. To the South, the twin image of the King raised his sceptre above the masts of a timber squadron returning from the Hyarrostar.

“Home, eh?” The indiscreet sailor of the previous evening jumped in front of him, holding a sail. Hannishtart shrugged.

“Your boy is disposing of his breakfast again.” He turned back to meet the soldier who had fetched him from Ulfin´s cottage a thousand years ago. “I keep wondering why...”

“I will go”, Hannishtart cut the other man before he could launch into a tirade about how a barbarian should be with the barbarians and not crawling like a mournful spirit on a Númenorean ship. Or before he could insinuate something else about the boy´s parentage.

“There is no need! For once he is fine where he is. They will not appreciate him getting in the way now,” he shouted after him. Hannishtart stopped in his tracks for a moment, then continued on his way. All of a sudden, he felt like the boy himself: he wanted to hide.

Last time he had seen Sor, he had been young. He had wanted to see his family, and had drunk himself senseless instead.

Traitor.

The cold, viscous texture of shame crept down his belly at the thought.

“Ashad!” The boy was sitting in the dark, refusing to look at him in his embarrassment for having vomited again. “We are in Sor. The ship is coming into port now, and we must leave.”

Dark, inquiring eyes shot up at him. He nodded, and the boy struggled to his feet.

“Where are we going?”, he asked, his bravery returning at the prospect of land under his feet again. Hannishtart tried a smile, that came out more like a grimace.

If only he knew.

“Pack everything while I talk to the captain”, he ordered.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The boy´s dispirited fear aboard the ship was immediately changed into wonder, as soon as the two of them set foot in the harbour. Hannishtart had never seen eyes grow so wide as they jumped from a line of vendors who sold coloured fabrics to a battalion of soldiers singing as they marched towards a ship, and from there again towards a troupe of acrobats who had built a pyramid with their flexed bodies. He stopped in his tracks and blinked many times, as if he was trying to take all those sights in but his mind could not process so much at once. Then, drunk from the sounds and the colours, he started turning in circles, bumping into people who cursed when they saw him. Hannishtart had to grab him before he could run into the stalls and cause trouble.

“Stay with me. Sor is not a place to wander.”

Ashad looked disappointed, but nodded. He seemed to perceive how tense Hannishtart´s mood was.

The merchants of Gadir are out for your blood, and so will those of Umbar and Sor. It had been many years since he had seen Azzibal or any of his associates, but he wondered if they could have been already informed of his arrival by their spies. Sor was the entrance to Númenor, but in the middle of such a crowd nobody would notice a man who suddenly went missing. And, as everybody knew, the merchants controlled the city.

“Are you Hannishtart the soldier?”

He froze, the thread of his thoughts broken by the ringing voice behind his back. Turning towards its source, he saw a tall man, dressed in a way which reminded him of the Armenelos guard, except that there was no sun emblazoned in his chest, and he wore a dark blue cloak. A group of men, ten, or maybe fifteen, stood behind him, their raiment identical.

The instincts of the warrior heightened by the awareness of his own, dangerous position, Hannishtart´s right hand immediately flew towards the sword hanging from his waist. Ashad hid behind him.

“Who are you?”

The guards also carried swords, but none of them followed his example. The one who had addressed him first, who seemed to be their leader, stared at him gravely.

“Come with us. In the name of the King.”

The King. The King had been the one to recall him to Númenor. He had also freed his family, or so Pharazôn had written in his letter. And still, how could he know that this wasn´t a trap?

“Prove that the King sent you.”

The guard looked around him for a moment, then proceeded to whisper something in a low voice to one of the others. His expression struck Hannishtart as calculating.

Then, the second soldier started rummaging in a pouch, and produced a document. He handed it to Hannishtart.

“Here.” Wondering if it could be a ploy to make him lower his guard, then realizing, as if from a distant remembrance of a more civilized life, that they could not attack him in front of so many witnesses, Hannishtart grabbed it. A royal seal, similar to the one he had seen in documents sent to the mainland in official ships, glared at him from the page. He folded it carefully, contemplating his options.

It could still be a trap. Those men had no crests. Whom did they serve? Whom could they be traced back to? He had been ambushed by people who pretended to be carrying the orders of their superiors before.

“Are you coming with us, or not?” the guard asked, with an air of impatience. While he spoke, he drew close to Hannishtart and his voice dropped to a hiss. “See that man in yellow? The one who was watching us a minute ago and now hides behind the white palanquin? We just dissuaded him from coming at you, but there are more. We must be quick.”

Hannishtart thought furiously for a moment. People were starting to draw a circle around them, intrigued by their display and trying to hear what they said. Truths or lies, friend or foes; he had to make a decision now. He had barely set foot in the soil of Númenor after so many years of fighting barbarians in a wild land, and he was already gambling on his life again.

“I will follow you”, he finally said. “Lead the way.”

A confused Ashad followed him among the disappointed murmurations of the crowd.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The guards were quick to leave the populated area of the harbour, leading them through a maze of deserted streets and dark alleyways. They seemed to have a fixed destination, towards which they persevered in grim silence. Nobody spoke to him, and they only seemed to communicate through wordless glances whenever someone passed by or edged close to them, as if trying to evaluate whether they posed a threat or not. Hannishtart had been placed at the centre of their formation, surrounded by armed men at every side, which made him feel vulnerable and trapped.

Finally, after what seemed like years, they reached a fishing village on the outskirts, and entered a large stable. The leader made a signal, and the others started untying the horses.

“We did not know that the boy was coming,” he said to Hannishtart, with something vaguely resembling an apologetic tone. “We must travel fast. Would you take him with you?”

The soldier dismissed this question with a shrug, then held to this opening at once.

“Where are we going?”

“Rómenna.”

“What?”

The guard leader shook his head, and sent a significant look in the direction of the stable master, who was counting coins in their vicinity. He did not seem to have heard their exchange, but still, the infuriating man did not seem about to say another word in his presence. In a quick stride, he reached his horse and mounted it.

“Come, Ashad.” Hannishtart helped the boy up, torn between frustration and shock. He had imagined that they were going to Armenelos. Wasn´t it the King who had summoned him? Rómenna, however, was a small town in the middle of nowhere. Why would they take him to such a place, unless they meant him some ill?

“Who are they?” the boy whispered to him as he climbed to the saddle.

“They are the King of Númenor´s men”, he replied, spurring the horse towards the others. Almost immediately the riders surrounded him, adopting the same formation they had kept while they walked. Still, he was determined to claim answers this time, and he almost drove his mount against another in his forceful attempt to catch up with the leader, who was at the front.

“Why are we going to Rómenna?” he asked, shouting above the clatter of hooves. “And who are you?”

“My name is Adûnazer” the man replied, looking over his shoulder, “and I am here to protect you from the machinations of the Merchant Princes of Sor.”

“Then why aren´t we going to Armenelos, where the King is?” Hannishtart inquired.

“Taking the road through the Mittalmar now would be madness, without a sizeable escort”, was the prompt reply. “In Rómenna, however, you have many friends.”

“Friends? What friends?”

“Us. And many others.” Somehow, Adûnazer looked slightly ruffled as he said this. “The Faithful.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

They made their way through the sand-battered road, edging the forest. The Autumn sea was dark and stormy, breaking upon the shore in sizzling bursts of foam which reminded Hannishtart of the Havens, and Ulfin´s white feet the first time he had seen her walking in the surf to gather seaweed.

For the best part of the day after they left Sor, they rode past hundreds of travelers who came to or from Armenelos, peasants who returned to their fields after selling their goods in the city, or rich merchants who sought the calm of their country villas at night. Many of them stood at the side of the road and stared at them as they passed by, and some frowned and muttered words that Hannishtart could not make out in the distance. His escort -for so they had turned out to be- did not look ruffled by this, or seemed to pay much attention, but he could perceive that they never lowered their guard for an instant. When time came for the midday meal, they ate on horseback, not even slowing their pace for the sake of comfort. Ashad looked tired, but after his behaviour on the ship he seemed determined not to complain again.

As the sun sank in the horizon the leader turned away from the main road, which left the coast and stretched across the plain of Mittalmar, and herded the small force through the narrow path which slithered down a cliff towards the bay of Rómenna, between the roots of southern Orrostar and northern Hyarrostar. There were no travelers here, not a single soul except for a man who gathered shellfish from the pools a long distance below.

“Let us hurry. It will be night soon, and then it will be too dangerous to proceed” Adunazer warned when they stopped for the third time to lead their mounts on foot through a difficult stretch of the road. It had fallen into disrepair, Hannishtart noticed. Even in Middle-earth, one would have to ride into the wildest areas on the edges of civilization to find a road so neglected.

“It might have been better to reach the place by ship”, he remarked, helping the boy to climb on the saddle again.

“That would have been too dangerous. We would not risk appearing on the docks of a city in broad daylight a second time”, was the answer he got.

Hannishtart did not find it satisfying. He was growing restless, and he did not know whether the idea of being surrounded and protected by so-called Faithful made him feel better or worse. He was not much more than a traitor to them, and their behaviour, in spite of their protestations of friendship, was aloof and suspicious.

“Why are you helping me?” he hissed, taken by a sudden fit of impatience. If only Pharazôn had been in Númenor...

Adunazer stopped for an instant to stare at him. No emotion showed upon his countenance.

“You are the son of Lord Númendil of Andúnië,” he said, with a bow. Then he climbed his horse and spurred it forth, leaving Hannishtart to mull over his words.

He did not need to say it, for Hannishtart to know that the man disapproved of him. The choice of words had been telling enough, and the tone in which they had been spoken ratified it. You are the son of Lord Númendil... not “one of us”, or “our friend”.

Nothing he should not have expected.

“Where is Lord Númendil now?” he asked, feeling a small stab in his chest as he spoke the name. His voice, however, came from his lips lower than he had intended, and the sound of the hooves drowned it. Cursing to himself, he followed, with Ashad´s eyes momentarily meeting his in an unspoken question.

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

It was night when they reached the foot of the cliff, and the city of Rómenna lay in shadow. There were some lights in the streets, and here and there a few people came and went on unfinished business, but it was nothing compared with the boisterous squares of Sor or Armenelos, or even with the camps of the Havens and Umbar and their brothels that never closed. The stone buildings towered somberly over their heads as they made their way among them.

They crossed the city center without stopping, then proceeded towards an area where houses became smaller and gaps between them more frequent. Here, darkness was absolute, and nothing was heard except the murmur of the sea.

“This way”, one of the men told Hannishtart, heading towards a street that at some point became a road, leading away from the last signs of habitation and towards a rocky path. Before them, in the distance, there was a light.

As they advanced, the light started growing into the shape of a large house, whose walls towered over the cliff. The riders stopped before a large oak gate, and waited while Adunazer spoke to someone. Then the doors opened, and to Hannishtart´s surprise they were ushered inside a stone courtyard large enough to contain thrice as many horses as their party brought.

“Follow me, if you please”, Adunazer said, dismounting. Ashad had fallen asleep; his body leaned heavily against Hannishtart´s shoulder as he lowered him from the saddle. When the boy´s feet touched the floor, however, he jumped awake and his eyes widened in alert, trying to discern his surroundings from behind the sleepy haze.

“They are our friends”, Hannishtart soothed him, before the bustle of armed men under the light of torches could awake unwanted remembrances and send the boy into a panic. Ruefully, he wished he could be as sure himself.

Other people hurried to take care of his horse, as Adunazer signaled for him to follow past the comings and goings of the men and towards the main door. Ashad tottered behind.

The house was such as he had not seen in many years, full of large halls and well-lit corridors. The walls were made of painted sea-stone, and Hannishtart could see seashells incrusted in them. All the floors, however, were polished marble, shining dazzlingly white under his feet. Ashad did not say a word, but he looked every inch as tense as Hannishtar felt.

“There.” Adunazer stopped in his tracks at a doorstep, and nodded in their direction as if to beckon them in. The moment that his voice came from his lips, reverberating oddly upon the walls, Hannishtart became aware, with an unpleasant jolt, of the silence that lay upon the house. There was not a single person walking or talking in any of those halls and corridors. “It would be better if you left the boy with me.”

Ashad did not seem happy at this idea, judging by the baleful look that he gave them. Hannishtart hesitated.

“Wait for me here”, he said, but as he turned towards the man to ask the question that burned in his lips, he found that Adunazer had already moved to open the door. The light coming from inside the room was even brighter than the one in the corridor, and it forced him to blink repeated times.

Welcome”, a soft voice greeted him. It was the strangest voice, different in tone and quality and accent to anything he had ever heard, and still, somehow, it sounded familiar.

A moment later, he realized that it had not spoken in Adûnaic.

As he entered the place, he saw an antechamber before a larger door. A man stood against it, a man with grey eyes that reflected Hannishtart´s own like a twin mirror.

He tried to swallow, but couldn´t. His dizziness augmented, and for a moment his mind started feverishly calculating an escape route back through the corridors, the large oak gate, the riders and the road up the cliff.

Father”, he muttered, in a language he had forgotten.

Welcome back”, Númendil pointed at the door, and his ageless features became clouded by a touch of urgency. “Come .... Someone... see...

Feeling the ghostly touch of a shiver cross his body, he followed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The bed was close to a large window, from which Hannishtart could hear the Sea crashing against the cliffs of the bay of Rómenna. Above in the sky, the moon floated gently, veiled by tatters of clouds that the wind blew towards Mittalmar. During an interval, which seemed to him to have been frozen in time, it shone brightly upon a woman´s features.

She lay propped against the pillows, like a doll abandoned by a child after playtime. When she heard the door open and then close behind their backs, she immediately turned her head in that direction, but her straining eyes did not seem to find what she sought. Númendil hurried towards her and took her hand in his; smooth whiteness pressed against wrinkled, spotted flesh.

Hannishtart´s breath died in his throat, just as the pain of recognition erupted in his chest. He looked at her, like a man who had been lost in a foreign city and suddenly realized that one of the strange houses that shocked him had been the place of his birth. He made up words, many words, some of which they would have thought insane, but none could make it past his lips.

None were in her language.

Here... him”, Númendil whispered. At this, the eyes that stared blankly at her surroundings seemed to be coloured by a ray of warmth, and the parched lips widened in a smile. He recognized this smile, too, though her face couldn´t be more different from the beautiful woman he remembered from his dreams.

She... wait... years.... you.” There seemed to be no accusation in the tone, yet Hannishtart thought he could perceive it in the words he could make out. All this time... all this time he had been gone, and he should have been here... here to see her before she withered... before she changed.

“Amandil”, she called. Her voice was hoarse, shaky. “Amandil.”

Amandil. It had been his name. Her name for him.

He advanced towards the bedside, as if in a dream, and lay his hand in hers while his father withdrew.

Mother”, he greeted her. That word he also remembered.

Her face grew closer to his, and suddenly he became aware that she was seeing him. Self-consciously, he remembered his unkempt hair, his unshaved chin, his soldier cloak, his sword. Why had nobody taken it from him? The symbol of the Goddess, cold against his chest.

She beamed.

Amandil.” Her hand moved up with great effort, trailing over his chest, his shoulder, his face. He stood still, until it dropped back on her lap.

Mother?

His father shook his head, sadly.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

She …  years...  now... life ...end...

His feet left a trail of grime as they walked across the white marble floor. In Armenelos the floors had been black... in the palace, in the temple, swallowing the dirt so it would not show. Not so here.

Ashad was asleep before a plate of food, which he had not been able to finish. Adunazer was nowhere to be seen, nor was any of the other men that he had left at the entrance. All he could hear was the sound of breaking waves and soft footsteps. And that language... that frightening language.

Amandil.

She could not... Armenelos. ...why she... stay...wait you. Lord Valandil... Andúnië... now...

“Stop!” Shocked by his sharp outburst, which reverberated through the corridor like the twang of a bowstring, Hannishtart-Amandil stopped in his tracks and pressed a hand against his temple. His voice came out as hoarse as that of the old woman in the bed. “I cannot understand! I cannot understand you!”

The silence he had asked for was thunderous like the howl of a hundred wolves. Suddenly unable to withstand it, he turned around and fled, away from the moonlight, away from the whispers and the breaking waves.

Armenelos

Read Armenelos

She died sometime during that night. Whether this meant that she had been waiting just to see him one last time, as his father had implied, her life hanging from a thread for all those years though there was no way for her to know if he was even alive, Hannishtart could not tell, but the thought disturbed him more than grief itself.

 

Every morning since that day, as soon as he woke up, he would flee the house to walk the cliffs and sit by the beach alone. He would rarely meet anybody during those walks, which eerily increased the feeling of unreality that he had felt since the night of his arrival. With something akin to longing, he would gaze towards the horizon, trying in vain to distinguish the lines of the land where he had learned to live a simple, almost animal life, away from the trappings of family, of allies and enemies, and of people who could unsettle him just by looking at him.

 

The people in the house, on their part, seemed as intent on avoiding him as he was on avoiding them. His father had not sought him, too busy with his own grief and probably also too appalled at who Hannishtart had turned out to be. Or rather, Amandil. That was how they had known him, back when he was a young boy and the fire of the holy altar had not yet taken his hair. Maybe it would have been better for everyone to let them think he had died there, or later in the mainland... but the King, of course, had wanted him.

 

Some King always did.

 

On the third day, he trudged inside the courtyard as the sun was about to set, his head bowed under the weight of uncertainty. He had not eaten since morning, so the smell of broiled fish that wafted across the air in his direction made his stomach rumble in spite of himself. Just as he was wondering if he could manage to eat some of it without running into his father, the sound of a familiar voice, chattering away loudly, made him freeze in his tracks and look up.

 

It was Ashad. Ashad, having an animated conversation with Hannishtart´s father on the porch, and effectively barring his entrance to the house. The boy was making broad gestures with both arms, as if describing something, and Númendil nodded with a smile.

 

They did not seem to have noticed his presence- and yet, Amandil made no attempt to announce himself. Suddenly, he wished that he could leave without being seen, but before he could examine his options, Númendil raised his glance. Amandil greeted him with a nod, unable to decide whether he felt guilty, angry, or merely foolish.

 

He knew he was at fault for abandoning Ashad to his devices since that dreadful night. Engrossed in his own feelings, he had been unable to muster the smatterings of human instinct needed to realize that the boy was feeling lost in a house that was not his in a world that was not his. Once or twice, Amandil had been assaulted by a vague notion that he should check on him, but there was such turmoil in his mind that he would always forget before he acted on it.

 

“... and then they said, What on Earth is that monster! They said we could have a horse! And they answered, no, they said you could have a mount. And then they would not climb on it, but that was stupid of them because the mumâkil do not hurt anyone unless they are told to. I told them so...”

 

“... and they paid as much attention as you did when I told you that the ship would not sink”, Amandil interrupted the boy´s story. Ashad´s eyes widened as he realized that he was there. An uncomfortable silence followed, until Númendil spoke.

 

“Did they?”

 

The boy shook his head.

 

“They called me names and told me to get out of the way. One of them tried to hit me.” He smiled again. “That was why I was happy when he tripped on the rope and fell face flat on the mûmak´s hind leg. What an idiot!”

 

“Ashad, we are in Númenor, and this is the son of the Lord of Andúnië!” Hannishtart glared. “What did I tell you about watching your mouth here? You could be killed for saying such things!”

 

Númendil made a gesture of dismissal.

 

“There is no need to watch any mouth around me. Neither of you are strangers.” For a moment, it definitely looked like his father had gazed at him pointedly as he said this. He took breath.

 

“Ashad, go get ready for dinner.” The boy obeyed, a bit surprised. While they watched him leave, Númendil let go of a soft sigh, and Hannishtart noticed that he looked very pale under the dwindling daylight. Pale, and fragile.

 

“He, too, is welcome to our home and family.”

 

Hannishtart did a double take. His cheeks burned.

 

“He is not my son!”

 

“Oh, I know that. There is nothing of you in him. He belongs to the short-lived kind who dwells in Middle-Earth. “Númendil spoke in a perfect, yet heavily accented Adûnaic, appearing to have taken the hint after Hannishtart´s outburst three nights ago. As he thought about it, he felt assailed by even more guilt.

 

“I am sorry. I have... been very rude.”

 

His father shook his head, as if to dismiss this, but that did not make Hannishtart feel better.

 

“Mother died, and I... “Feeling more and more bothered, he massaged his temples with his fingers. He did not know what to say. Death, where he came from, was burning someone´s maimed remains before they could be desecrated by the enemy. He barely recalled any of those faces, but her face -not the one he had dreamed of in his exile, but the one with the old and unfocused eyes which had been suddenly lit by a warm glow when he knelt by her bedside-, was carved in his consciousness with an overwhelming clarity. Men are like Orcs, he had been told, and told others himself, many times in his years as a soldier in the mainland. And now, he could almost finish the sentence, for their own sake.

 

“Long ago, we all belonged to the same kind, and aged as one”, Númendil mused. “What did those added years avail us, except fueling our pride and furthering our estrangement from other Men? I sometimes wonder.”

 

Hannishtart stopped massaging his temples. He shrugged nervously.

 

“Back when we suffered disgrace, in the time of the Blasphemous King, it became hard for us to find wives”, his father went on. “No old families would join their daughters to us any more, so we had to set our sights lower and marry women of lesser lineages. Since that time, there has rarely been a Lady of Andúnië.”

 

Hannishtart stared at him.

 

“Today, I am still quite young. I have many years to live, I can see the prophecies come true, and I have been able to meet you.”

 

Meet. As if his child self had been someone else, someone who had lived once and been forgotten.

 

“Emeldir, however, spent her life in a prison, and could barely see you before she died. She never saw Andúnië again, or even Armenelos. And the irony is that nothing of this would have happened to her if she had not married me. It feels like all she did in her life was paying someone else´s debts.”

 

Someone else´s debts...

 

Suddenly, it was as if the sea breeze had started blowing colder.

 

 “I fear this boy Ashad will have it even harder, here in Númenor. “Númendil finally changed the subject, unaware that it was too late. “Still, if whatever influence our family can regain by the kindness of the King can avail him something...”

 

“I have a wife.”

 

Hannishtart´s voice had crossed his lips so low and garbled that for a moment he did not think that it could have been heard. But Númendil turned towards him and his eyes widened.

 

“She...” The silence was uncomfortable, wrenching the words away from him as if with an invisible force. “She does not know who I am. I couldn´t tell her before, and now she will find that she has wasted her life waiting for a man who will remain young after she dies.” He swallowed hard; no interruption came. “She will never forgive me.”

 

After what seemed like an eternity, Númendil spoke.

 

“There is love, too.”

 

“What?” Hannishtart was not sure he had heard right.

 

“There are many forces at play in this world. There is hate and there is blame and there is guilt, but there is also love. You seem to have forgotten this in the mainland.”

 

Hannishtart bristled at the tone of misplaced pity. But of course. He should have known that they would not understand. Frustration filled him up like a hot drink.

 

“You have no idea of how things are out there.”

 

“True. “Númendil did not bat an eye. “But that was not my fault. I would have been there if I...”

 

“I was a priest of the King of Armenelos. I was a priest of the Lady of the Cave. I was the secret husband of the daughter of a captain of the Palace Guard. I lied to each and every one of them and betrayed them all. And then, in Middle-Earth, I killed more people than years you will live. Ashad´s family, for instance. “He was aware of having started shouting at some point, but that did not make him stop. All that mattered right now was to get this out of his chest. “Do not talk to me about love. And do not say you should have been there, because if you had been, it would not have made any difference!”

 

“I should have been with you. But they kept me here, just as they brought you there. What could either of us have done about it?” Númendil´s voice never changed, Hannishtart realized vaguely, not even when he argued. “We have no control of where or when we will be born, who we will be born as or to which family. It might seem like a cruel joke to be born in the house of Andúnië during the reign of Ar-Gimilzôr in these latter days of Númenor, but only the Almighty Creator knows the ultimate purpose behind it. Our King, too, was born of the Faithful in the house of Ar-Gimilzôr, and he was forced to lie, hide and conspire against his father since he was young. Now, however, he sits on the throne through no sin of his own, and has been given the chance to save Númenor. “He looked up, his eyes probing and persistent until Hannishtart reluctantly agreed to meet them. “I, myself, could see little praise in sitting idle while everyone I loved, and everyone I was supposed to aid or protect was suffering. But then I realized why it had to happen this way.”

 

“Why?” Hannishtart challenged. His father´s long life of imprisonment must not have been an easy fate, either, and he wondered how could anybody possibly find meaning in it. “Why did it have to happen this way?”

 

“Because, out there, you were meant to forget and be able to face the world. “Forget us. Forget us and live! His father´s eyes had become lost in the distance, as though looking at something that Hannishtart could not see.I was meant to stay and remember. So, when you came back one day, I would be able to give you back everything that you had lost.”

 

Hannishtart tried to laugh, but the laughter died in his throat. Suddenly, the mere thought appeared to him as frightening, as terrible as his mother clinging on to life for years because she wanted to see him one last time.

 

“I am not so important”, he was able to mutter before he walked away towards the doorstep, once again feeling like a despicable coward.

 

That night, however, as he sat before the hearth watching the dancing flames, his father sat next to him and started reading something in the ancient language. Hannishtart did not understand what it was about, or distinguished more than a few, half-forgotten words, but he did not find it in himself anymore to tell him to stop. After a while, he closed his eyes, and the musical sounds lulled him into a much needed sleep.

 

That night, for the first time in years, he did not dream.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

From that night onwards, he and his father came to a kind of unspoken agreement. He would speak the Númenorean tongue himself, but Númendil would talk to him in the Elvish tongue whenever he had the chance. He believed that Amandil -for he always called him Amandil- had not truly forgotten anything that he once knew, but that he had banished it to a recess of his mind where it remained even now, waiting to be freed and brought to the surface again.

 

He had been skeptic at first, seeing this as further evidence of the man´s inability to understand what had really happened in all those years. Hannishtart, even if he was called Amandil again, was not the same child who had fought Balrogs and heard stories of the Valar before he went to bed. That child was gone, and it would not return even if the words of the sacred lore were read to him until it would emerge from his chest like a spirit summoned by a ritual.

 

Still, and to his shock, the words that Númendil and him had exchanged between his escapades to the beach and the comings and goings of each day they spent under the same roof had unearthed threads of remembrances, which had started fitting together with disturbing ease. Sounds brought other sounds, words brought other words, which blended into sentences that he recalled having spoken once. He had needed months to master the language of the Temple scrolls, which Yehimelkor had taught him, and years to make something out of the gibberish spoken by the barbarians of Harad, but he was able to understand Elvish after a few days.

 

The ability, however, did not stretch much beyond that. He could not reply in the same language, and the mechanisms to join words kept eluding him even when the words themselves would swirl in his mind, searching for a way to get out. And, contrary to what his father might have expected, it did not change him in any substantial way. No long-forgotten truth shone suddenly before his eyes, like a beacon to show him the correct path. Understanding what they spoke did not make him any more like them, or helped him find their customs and beliefs any less mysterious. Try as he might, he could not fish back the sense of belonging to that place which had once been his birthright, beyond the shared feeling of grief for a woman who was taken by the Curse and buried deep below the ground.

 

For all his life, he had been hearing that his kin were traitors who worshipped the foes of the Númenorean people, and desired the Sceptre for themselves. A refusal to believe this had needed no reason or explanation.  As his son Halideyid had once put it, quite wisely, one couldn´t hate himself. That his family, once that he saw them again, could not be the same thing as himself, like the King and the Sceptre, was something that he had never been able to think until now. That they would reject him, oh yes, he had expected that, because he had betrayed them by compromising with their enemies. That this would be unfair of them, yes, he had thought that too, because they did not understand the choices that he had needed to make in order to survive. But that they would accept him blindly, and still remain unable to make him feel welcome, that was something he had never believed he would have to face. And least of all that he would find himself weighing their beliefs with the harsh judgement of an outsider.

 

“So...” He squinted hard, as if this simple motion could help clear away the confusion. “They are not gods.”

 

“No. They are the Powers.” The Valar. “They are powerful beings from the time of Creation who entered this world because they loved it, and they live in the Western realm with the High Elves. But they cannot interfere in the affairs of Men.”

 

The conversation had quickly derived into Adûnaic because of the complexity of its nature.

 

“So, they are powerful but they do not receive sacrifices or listen to the prayers of Men.” This was even more shocking a notion than Yehimelkor´s theogonies of darkness and lime. “Then, who is supposed to look after us?”

 

“Did those that the Númenóreans call their gods listen to your prayers, Amandil?” Númendil asked mildly, seemingly unaware of the cascade of bitter remembrances triggered by this simple question.

 

“No.” He winced. “But I was cursed in their eyes, so it was not very surprising. If there is something surprising, it would be rather how I managed to survive so long with their displeasure.”

 

“That is because they cannot hear you. The only God that is would not judge us by the name of the house to which we were born. Eru Ilúvatar sees your heart and hears your thoughts at each and every moment of the day.”

 

The King of Armenelos sees your heart and hears your thoughts. He knows everything.

 

“That is something that... someone said to me.” Amandil blinked, unable, and unwilling, to say Yehimelkor´s name. “He said it about the one you call the Dark Lord.”

 

Númendil seemed surprised at this. He nodded slowly.

 

“Men have not forgotten good, only the truth.”

 

“And how do you know what the truth is?” The familiar frustration that he had felt at the Temple of Armenelos was growing inside him again. “Have you seen Eru Ilúvatar? The priests said that nobody ever could. That he was outside this world because he had created it and could not be a part of it. Then how does any of you know what his true name is or how is he like? What if you are all worshipping the same god?”

 

He had thought that Númendil would be scandalized -Yehimelkor would have been-, but all he did was look thoughtful again.

 

“Nobody has seen Eru Ilúvatar, true. The Dark Lord, however -he has been seen, by people who died long ago and wrote records, and by people who are still walking this earth today. And he was neither a god, nor a friend of good. He did many evil things. The Dark Lord that dwells in the land of Mordor in our days was his vassal, and the Orcs who serve him were his original creations, a twisted race created from the Elves.”

 

Back in the Temple, Amandil had never been one to be swayed by the big absolutes, and this had exasperated his teachers. But this was nothing compared to the person he had become now, after years of darkness and blood.

 

“I have seen human sacrifices offered both to the King of Armenelos and to Eru Ilúvatar. I have seen people claim that he had ordered them to kill the Númenóreans, while the Númenóreans would claim the opposite. I have seen what people call the oldest temple of Eru, whom his priests called Ilu, on top of a mountain, and there he sat with bull horns, side by side with his consort, the Lady Asherah of the many breasts. I have seen a man save my life and claim that he had been sent by the King of Armenelos, and he was the holiest man I have ever known. But the most deeply revealing truth I have found in all my life is this: Men are worse than Orcs, Father. So the latter creation is no less twisted than the former.”

 

Finally, Númendil was aghast. He stared at him, looking troubled, and Amandil did not feel proud.

 

It wasn´t until a while later that he spoke, and it was to ask an unexpected question. A question that Yehimelkor would never, ever have asked.

 

“And what did you think of all this? How do you explain all those things you have seen?”

 

Amandil looked down. Suddenly, he remembered his conversation with his own son, on that Armenelos night ages ago.

 

“I think – I think that in the mainland, in Armenelos and here, everybody attributes good things to their own god, and evil things to the gods of the others. But you can find the good and the evil everywhere, and the evil more than the good. Maybe… maybe that pattern is the only thing that is real and true everywhere, and not any of those names and stories that everybody makes up against the names and stories of the others. Though I can´t see how the Creator, whatever his name is, could have wished for it to be that way.”

 

Númendil was staring at him as if he was seeing him for the first time, but not with revulsion. It was a different kind of look, a stranger one he couldn´t pinpoint, though he did not feel attacked by it.

 

“I think that the Creator has a plan for each one of us, but that we cannot see far enough in space or in time to see how it makes sense. So we must trust Him.”

 

Amandil smiled wryly.

 

“The priests of Armenelos were always saying that, too. I remembered it when the woman I loved became pregnant though it should have been impossible, and it seemed like everything that I did would turn out to be a sin or harm someone. I wondered who had sent it, and why, and whether it was a gift or a curse.”

 

“Well, we might have the answer to many of those riddles shortly.” Númendil suddenly smiled. “The King has summoned us to Armenelos, and there we will be able to meet your wife and son. And then we will visit Andúnië, the home of your ancestors.”

 

Amandil could not keep it bottled in his chest any longer.

 

“You are not disturbed by any of this?” 

 

He had expected a very different reaction. Maybe he had even said certain things just for the sake of provoking it, so strange had been the feeling of total lack of judgement that he had encountered here for the first time in his life. Man could grow used to misery too, he supposed. He remembered barbarian allies from the desert who had refused to sleep on beds under their roof, setting their beloved tents in the backyard instead and sleeping on the hard floor. Like them, he had grown so used to anticipate people´s hatred and contempt -renegade Faithful, renegade priest, Númenórean- that now he did not know how to act without it. So he had put into words the strange thoughts and blasphemies that had often swum in the depths of his mind, like the dark Sea monster who had defied the Lady at the beginning of time, but never burst to the surface.

 

“You are wise. You have seen many things, heard many things, and learned from them in ways I would not be able to imagine”, Númendil said, and his voice was earnest. “For a long time we of the house of Andúnië have dwelt in isolation, both imposed by others and created by ourselves in our pride. In this, I see it now, we are not very different from the Kings of Armenelos. Doctrinary feuds have made us all short-sighted, and there lie the seeds for failure. And because the stakes are so high, we cannot afford to fail now. Yes, I see it now.” The look that Amandil had caught the other day, the one that seemed to be looking beyond him, was back in Númendil´s eyes again. “Taking you away, sending you to all these places... it was necessary so you would become the person that we would need in the future.”

 

Providence again. As though everything in this world, from leaving a wife and son alone for many years just because his seed had gone the way it shouldn´t in a tryst of youth, to the often senseless butchery going on daily in the mainland, was supposed to be part of some important plan. As though he was supposed to be a part of it.

 

“And what would you need me for?”

 

Númendil´s visionary optimism waned from his features at this question. His grey eyes darkened.

 

“Soon, my son “he sighed, “soon you will see.”

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Two days later, they finally left Rómenna for Armenelos. Amandil had been making great progress at the ancient tongue, though not, it seemed, through any effort of his own. The knowledge just seemed to be there, to have always been there waiting for him to tap into it again. If only that could also be true for everything else, it would have made things much easier -but, then again, it would have spoiled Eru Ilúvatar´s great plan according to Númendil. The “love” explanation of the whole thing - that is, finding out that Númendil just loved him blindly and refused to see any of his faults-, would have been less troubling to Amandil than the feeling that his father really believed him to be some sort of chosen one destined for something that only he could do. Númendil´s evasive answers whenever he tried to ask him what this something might be did not help much either.

 

The capital city looked exactly the same as the last time he had been in it, twenty years ago. It had been much longer for Númendil, of course, and Amandil had to shake him repeatedly out of deep reveries as he gazed at some palace or some impressive vista. He was a strange man, one that other men would define as “Elvish” with a suspicious grimace on their lips. Whether this was because of his long imprisonment or because his family had mixed with the Elves, Amandil could not tell, but, even though they were supposed to share the same blood, they were nothing alike.

 

They settled in the Andúnië mansion, the greatest building Amandil had ever set foot in since the Temple. The inside, however, looked destitute and full of dust, the look of a place which had been abandoned for many decades. Their voices echoed on the large marble halls, and Amandil had to prevent Ashad from sneaking away with his bedcovers to camp on the unkempt back gardens, which reminded him of the mainland and therefore unsettled him less.

 

Amandil was feeling no less out of his depths, which made him sympathize with the boy. He would rather have been looking for his wife and son, but the Palace audience had to take precedence over everything. Kings were kings, and this one had saved his life in the past, it seemed, back when he was still the Prince Inziladûn. Númendil told Amandil the story of how their kinsman had moved strings in the Palace, though Amandil did not remember anything about him, not like he remembered the young woman who had pressed him against her trembling chest on that night of assassins, or the priest, his second father, who told him the truth and saved him from the fire. Still, Yehimelkor was a subject that he was not prepared to breach with anyone, not even his blood father, or his son, or his mother had she lived. So he kept his thoughts to himself, and nodded through it all as they made their way through the successive courtyards.

 

When a courtier guided them through a hall of massive obsidian columns that tugged at some part of his mind, the first indication that all was not so well as his father claimed it to be finally appeared, in the shape of a grave look in Númendil´s features.

 

“It might not be wise if you were to... let the King know of some of your deeper thoughts just yet.”

 

Amandil blinked, surprised. His first thought was, did his father think he was going to share any of his thoughts with a King? His imprisonment had really made him naive, then. Soon, however, a more worrying notion displaced the sarcasm from his mind. This King was supposed to be a friend, an ally of the Faithful. If he was going to ask and probe and question him about his life...

 

“I will let you do the talking”, he said. If only that could be enough.

 

“He has penetrating eyes, and sees through people. That gift of his line is very strong in him.”

 

Wonderful. Amandil shivered, remembering that first audience in the throne room, back when he was a child. The black eyes.

 

“He takes after his father, then.” Númendil stared at him in surprise, but said nothing.

 

They were not taken to that same throne room, but to a small gallery which stood over a beautiful garden with a fountain, where a man leaned over the railing in thoughtful silence. Before Amandil could guess the purpose of this detour, the courtier announced them as the son and grandson of the Lord of Andúnië, and he came to the realization that the man standing there was the King himself. Immediately, he tried to bow, but a voice restrained him.

 

“There is no need for that! We are family.”

 

“We greet you, Protector of Númenor and its colonies”, Númendil said. It was not a recitation as Amandil had always heard it, but held the warmth of a friend´s greeting.

 

The King smiled. He looked remarkably like Númendil, with the same nose, the same eyes and the same disheveled hair, though the beard he sported on his face -a fashion Amandil had not seen in the Island before- set them dramatically apart. Also, where Númendil´s mood was calm and serene, the King looked positively brimming with activity. He approached Númendil with a very unroyal haste and embraced him, claiming to be very happy to see him and offering deepest condolences for the death of his wife, then immediately set to look behind him, inspecting Amandil with an avidity for detail that took the former soldier very aback.

 

“So, this is Amandil! How different you look from that first time I saw you! You were a child back then, and you seemed to find the Palace as much of an unsettling place as you do now.” The younger man swallowed. “But those were dark times for all of us. Now, you come as a friend, and there is no need to fear!”

 

The words had been spoken in the ancient tongue. This, coupled with the way in which the King was looking at him, made him feel weighed and tested instead of genuinely welcome. He tried to look comfortable, but it was the first time he had needed to feign anything of the sort, so he failed.

 

“He only just arrived from the mainland, where he has spent the last twenty years”, his father came to his rescue. “He came in secret, as there were assassins trying to kill him as soon as he set foot in Sor.”

 

Of course. Númendil had known about that, hence the men who had been sent to escort him. It felt strange to hear him talk of assassins.

 

“The Merchant Princes were behind this”, the King said, fortunately distracted by the new topic. “They remain your bitterest enemies even after so many years of exile.”

 

“The Almighty Creator looks after us.”

 

“So he does.” Both shared a brief look of solemnity, then turned again towards Amandil. “Has your father filled you in on the state of things in the Island?”

 

“I am really sorry, but it was barely six days ago that we met, and he came in time to see his mother die.” Númendil answered for him again. “We have not spoken of much else.”

 

“Of course, of course. There will be time to correct that in the following months. We have great plans for you.” That again. “It has come to our knowledge that you are a great warrior.”

 

“I was a... captain in the mainland. Twenty years.” Unsure of his knowledge of the language, Amandil hesitated.

 

“Also, that you were a friend of my brother´s son.”

 

The younger man froze. Next to him, his father also looked a little taken aback for a moment.

 

“We drank... together, in Armenelos” he constructed prudently. Those were dangerous waters. “Then, we met again in mainland. Our party died. He had wound. I saved his life.”

 

To them, he probably sounded like some kind of foreign barbarian.

 

“Do you think he remembers it?” The probing eyes again. Could he know more than what he was letting on? Was he aware of who had helped him escape the Middle Havens?

 

Was his father?

 

“I do not know, my lord King.”

 

“Did he know who you were?”

 

An instinct told Amandil that lying was no use here. He seized it.

 

“Yes, my lord King.”

 

He realized that this had been the correct answer when the probing look became speculative.

 

“This is interesting. Númendil, I know that you have not seen your son for a long time... but would you agree to lend him to me for a while here?”

 

“My King, my father, the Lord Valandil of Andúnië, has sent summons demanding my son´s presence in the West, so he may to be introduced to him, the family and the rest of the people, and schooled in our customs and traditions. I am aware that your wish overrides any other pledge or consideration, and that time is of vital importance - and he is aware of this too. “Suddenly, Númendil´s voice became lower and, it seemed to Amandil, more charged with a purpose that he could not define. “However, there is a... number of delicate situations to be dealt with there. In the name of my son and mine, I ask you for some of this precious time.”

 

“Delicate situations?” The King frowned thoughtfully, and a moment before Númendil opened his mouth, Amandil knew what he was going to say.

 

“Amandil has a wife and a son in Armenelos. He married before leaving for the mainland.” The news went down like a silent bombshell. The King´s eyes widened in open shock.

 

“Is that true?”

 

“It is not all. The circumstances surrounding the boy´s birth are... worthy of our attention, my King.” Númendil went on, unfazed. “Apparently it happened against rather remarkable odds, back when he was serving at the Temple of Armenelos. He saw it as a signal in that time of hopelessness, and it gave him the courage to break with that attachment and leave the capital for the sake of the child´s safety.”

 

This was stretching the truth quite a little, though Amandil wasn´t going to be the one to remark upon it. He would rather not be on a King´s bad graces again.

 

“I see. Perhaps... Perhaps it might be too soon, in any case. The late King was expecting me to rush things and make a mistake, but I won´t. Take your time and do things your way. Family ties are the most important thing, and they must be tended and preserved.”

 

Númendil smiled.

 

“Yes, my lord King.”

 

“I have one request, however. “The grey eyes narrowed as they were set on them, as if to underline the importance of what he was about to say. “Keep the balance.”

 

“I understand, my lord.”

 

Amandil didn´t. As they sat on a covered palanquin on the way back to their large and unwelcoming home, he could not keep himself from asking. He was expecting an enigmatic answer, but instead his father breathed deeply.

 

“The King was able to give us back our freedom and lands and recall our people from exile, but he could not push for a return of the Council seat that we lost under Ar-Gimilzôr. We are landholders, and yet we have no voice in government and remain vassals of the Cave. For my part, I would be content with this state of things and seek no further than what I am given, but the King needs his allies in Armenelos to help him carry through his reforms. So his next priority is to find a way to give us political weight again. And he has thought of you.”

 

Amandil had never been much used to frankness, and after the interview with the King he had not expected it to return so soon. Then again, Númendil was his father. Even though he had not told him everything before.

 

“Me? I am no politician. I am not even first in line. And I do not think he will... like me much, when he knows me.”

 

“You belong to our family, and he trusts our family.” Not the way he had been looking at him before  Amandil thought, but said nothing. “And yet he thinks that you are someone that people of different... allegiances might also trust. You were a priest, a warrior, you saved the prince Pharazôn´s life...”

 

“I angered all the priests in Númenor, I spent many years among the barbarians, and I saved the life of someone that the King and his party would rather see dead”, Amandil corrected, quite brutally, judging by his father´s shocked face.

 

“That is not true.”

 

“You do not understand, Father. Standing between two parties means being hated by everyone, not loved by everyone.” And how true that was. It had been the dominant theme of his life up to now, and, as far as he could see, it seemed like it might remain that way. He shivered, remembering something else.

 

“Lord Valandil is not going to approve of me, is he? That is why you spoke of a delicate situation.”

 

Númendil looked even more taken aback, if that was possible.

 

“He has had a hard life. His imprisonment weighs heavily upon him, and he feels that he is running out of time. This has made him more... rigid than he was before”, he admitted. “And to make things worse, he has been met with troubles at the Andustar that he had not expected. He might be a little guarded around you at first, especially when he hears about your marriage. To be honest...” Númendil sighed. “A wedding was being considered for you.”

 

“A wedding? With whom?”

 

“With the Princess of the West.”

 

The Princess Zimraphel. Pharazôn´s cousin.

 

Amandil´s blood ran cold. That meant...

 

“Oh. I... see why they would be unhappy, then”, he advanced, while his mind worked furiously. That meant that they had been planning for him to have a claim to the throne of Númenor. A claim which would oppose Pharazôn´s claim.

 

Suddenly, he missed Ulfin´s miserable cottage in the Middle Havens more than ever. At least there he had not been a political pawn, a toy for kings to play with.

 

“But that was merely a possibility, and it is out of the question now. And then, your story of how the child was conceived made me see that maybe Ilúvatar did not want this from the beginning.”

 

Ilúvatar. Or the Other God, who loved Pharazôn more than him. Maybe they were both the same. Or maybe his lust had managed to ruin the whole affair for them without any help from the divinity.

 

“I am sorry”, he said, just because he could think of nothing else to say. Even though he was not.

 

“There is nothing to be sorry for. And whatever happens, I will be here to help. I...” Númendil opened his mouth, as if to say something else, then thought better about it. He seemed uncomfortable. “Why don´t we go and find your wife and son? I am very eager to meet them.”

 

His wife and son. If they still lived here. It suddenly occurred to Amandil that, if they did not, Pharazôn was the only link between them and him. And how could he contact Pharazôn now? How could he ask him for any favours in his new position? The mention to the failed wedding project had been a wakeup call, as had been the King´s plan to exploit what had happened so many years ago, in that distant trade road of the hinterland of Umbar, for their own political benefit.

 

They were enemies. They had always been, even back when they were too young and foolish to know it – and if Eru Ilúvatar had planned this from the beginning, Amandil thought bitterly, then he was a bastard.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

His wife´s house, as it happened, had been sold to other people long ago. Those, in turn, had relocated to Sor and sold it again to a young man and his wife, who, fortunately enough for him, were from the neighbourhood and could point him towards the school which “the tall man who used to live in the house” had been operating for years. Amandil thanked them, and turned towards his father, who had insisted in donning a “common disguise” similar to his and accompanying him in his search. He was wearing a hood at Amandil´s insistence, as two men with outlandish looks were a little too conspicuous for his comfort. Or maybe he was just too used to hiding to ever be comfortable in the open sun of Armenelos.

 

“There it is”, he said, pointing at a small wooden building that looked old but well-cared for. Southern Hill Sword Training School was written in large ink lettering above the door.

 

“There does not seem to be anyone here”, his father remarked. As they drew closer, indeed, he noticed that he could not hear any of the excited voices and yells which could be expected as soon as two or more children were gathered together in the same place, be it the tent of a soldier´s whore in Umbar or the novice courtyard in the Temple of Armenelos. Disappointment battled with guilty relief.

 

“We will have to come back tomorrow.”

 

“Wait.” As he was turning back, Númendil put a hand on his shoulder. “I think I saw someone.”

 

Amandil frowned, looking at the small window his father had signaled to him. He could see no one there, but just as he was about to say so, it struck him how odd it was that he would leave the place without having even checked. What was he afraid of?

 

He walked towards the door and knocked, swallowing a sigh. Of all the things in the world, it was not his son he was afraid of. It was not his son... but what he might find out through him.

 

An unmistakable sound of something hitting the floor greeted his knock almost instantly. Planks creaked.

 

Númendil smiled.

 

“So he is here.”

 

“I do not know if...” Whatever he was going to say, he could not finish it. The door opened right then, and a cloud of dust assaulted his nostrils.

 

“Coming! Who...?”

 

He had forgotten how tall Halideyid was. Which was strange, as in his mind´s eye he could see his son´s features, the look in his eyes that night so long ago, with the same clarity as if it had been yesterday.

 

He looked up to see his son´s -older, so much older- features grow pale, and his lips stammer as he recognized who stood on his doorstep. A broom he was holding fell to the floor with a clatter.

 

“I thought the letter had been wrong. I thought you were not coming”, Halideyid mumbled after a while. The words barely registered. Amandil took a long, sharp breath to cover his emotions. He remained in silence, rooted to the spot until someone pushed him gently from behind.

 

“Welcome your father back home, Halideyid. The time for waiting and hiding is over, and now it is time to be a family again. “Númendil pushed back his hood and beamed at them. “I am your grandfather, Númendil.”

 

Amandil had been wary of parading both their outlandish looks, but to say the truth, his father looked much more outlandish than he did. His pale face, the perpetually serene, almost bland expression of his clear grey eyes would have made anyone in that quarter turn back and stare. He looked out of place, almost incongruously so, away from his marble halls and moonlit gardens.

 

And still, Halideyid seemed to find it less troublesome to look at him.

 

“Welcome, Grandfather. I am... honoured to meet you at long last”, he articulated.

 

“I did not know you had written your son a letter telling him of our arrival.” Númendil turned towards Amandil, who blinked, confused. Letter? What letter?

 

“I didn´t.”

 

“No, the letter was... was not his”, Halideyid ventured, prudently. Oh, no. Pharazôn.

 

Númendil did not betray his curiosity for more than a second. Easing the tension seemed to be his first priority, and Amandil would have been thankful if he had not been feeling a sudden dark premonition.

 

“Where is your mother?”

 

At this, Halideyid´s face fell. Fleeing his father´s glance, he glued his eyes to the floor, and shook his head.

 

“I... “He swallowed deeply, painfully, as if he was reaching a difficult decision. “I am sorry, Father.”

Heading West

Read Heading West

“So.” Amandil was trying to keep the sinking feeling in his stomach at bay. “You told her everything.”

 

Halideyid nodded, still without looking up.

 

“She never stopped believing that you would be back one day. But then, the first grey hair appeared in her head, and she grew sad. She felt that you were both running out of time. And then I realized what that meant. I had heard about the blood of Indilzar, and I could feel it running through my veins, but she... is not like us. Her sadness began eating at me. And one day, I could not keep it inside me any longer. I told her who you were. “He took a deep breath. “I am sorry. It was not my place.”

 

Amandil bit back a curse. It would not do to lose his temper, especially at his son, who was looking so ashamed. He knew very well whose fault everything was.

 

“You are right. It was not your place”, he sighed. “It was mine, but I was a coward, and you should not have tried to fight my battles for me. Where is she?”

 

“She is not in Armenelos. When she saw the letter announcing your arrival, she... left.”

 

“Then where?”

 

“Away.” His son shook his head. “She made me swear not to say.”

 

As agitated and guilty as Halideyid looked, it did not seem like he would give up on this point easily. And why should he, Amandil thought.

 

“Halideyid.” His eyes narrowed, ready to push the matter regardless. At that moment, however, someone grabbed him by the shoulder, and he turned to meet his father´s grey eyes.

 

“You cannot go now.” He, too, looked sorry. “Lord Valandil is waiting in Andúnië.”

 

“Oh, yes, and he is going to be so happy when we arrive without the wife I took instead of the Princess of the West because she is hiding from me!” Frustration had the virtue of making him throw prudence to the winds, and it came upon him that he had not wanted any of this, that he would not had left her before and that he did not want to leave her now. “All these things you say about there being a hidden purpose in this life of mine, will Lord Valandil believe them too? Because otherwise, I think I should simply stay here and consider myself disinherited. I have a son, see? He is fully grown now. He can be your heir!” Just leave me alone. If he was left alone, he thought, he would be able to find Amalket, and put his life together somehow. The longing to escape this cycle, dulled while he lived an isolated existence in the mainland, returned now stronger than ever, so strong that it was almost overwhelming.

 

Halideyid stared in shock. Númendil reacted as he usually did, with grave understanding and no solutions.

 

“If there was anything I could do...”

 

“But there is nothing.” Amandil pressed a palm against his pulsating forehead. “There is nothing, or is it?”

 

“Father.”

 

“I mean it,” he insisted. “I do not think I can be who you need me to be.”

 

“Father.” Halideyid´s soft voice became stronger the second time, and Amandil slowly turned towards him, wiping the sweat of his forehead with his fingers.

 

“What is it?”

 

“I have an idea. You could go to Andúnië with Grandfather and meet Lord Valandil. Meanwhile, I will go to Mother. I will speak to her, maybe bring her a letter, if you want me to. I will convince her to return to you, and then we will travel to Andúnië together, to meet with you. If somebody asks, we can say that she is ill, and that I stayed with her.”

 

“You will do nothing of the sort!” Amandil bristled. “This is my problem, Halideyid, not yours.”

 

His son did not back down.

 

“I robbed you of the chance to talk to her yourself. I caused this, and now I can solve it. I... do not know if I can make her understand, but I can convince her to speak to you. I know I can.”

 

Amandil looked at Númendil, who seemed suddenly absorbed in musings of his own. He sighed.

 

Halideyid´s voice sounded firm, earnest. Demanding to be trusted. It was tempting to rely on his maturity, on his better grasp of the situation, on his will to redress the wrong that he believed he had committed. And what if he did rely on it? It wouldn´t be the first time. Amandil had been relying on his son for years, to survive by himself, to learn his way around the world, to keep out of trouble and to protect his mother. To remember who he was. All the while, without receiving anything in return except an untimely conception, a secret wedding, a few letters and a stolen conversation one distant night.

 

Not anymore.

 

“Halideyid, you are going to your mother now,” he declared, searching for his son´s glance and keeping it in his for a long, meaningful while. “And I am going with you.”

 

Númendil did not speak a word.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

She was staying in a village at the outskirts of the Meneltarma, in an old aunt´s farm. Amandil asked Halideyid to guide him to the gate, which was barred by a wooden door covered in a faded green paint. The door creaked ominously when he knocked on it.

 

“Stay right there”, he said. The footsteps of Halideyid, who was heading in his direction after tying the horses, froze on their tracks behind him. For a moment, Amandil thought that he was going to protest.

 

“As you wish.”

 

The older man smiled wryly. The sunlight upon his skin was hotter than he remembered having felt in years, reminding him of his days in Harad.

 

“Have you ever loved a woman?”

 

Halideyid had been updating him on things during their trip here, but almost everything he said had concerned Amalket. It made sense, as they were things whose knowledge could help Amandil deal with his present plight, but nonetheless there remained a definite impression that Halideyid was not comfortable talking to his father about himself. Amandil, too, was not exactly eager to share his own experiences. Númendil´s bland acceptance had coaxed an outburst or two, and Amandil had revealed more in them than he had ever planned to, but he would die before Halideyid knew all the horrible and shameful deeds he had done in his life. And yet... somehow, his son´s own reserved attitude managed to cut him to the bone. What could a young man like Halideyid need to hide from his father?

 

“I am still young”, Halideyid said, or rather recited, as if it was something that he had already said to other people before. “Someone is coming.”

 

Amandil forced himself to discard these thoughts, and focus on the present. There was plenty of work left to do.

 

“Who is it?” an old woman´s voice asked from behind the door.

 

“I am a seller. I sell cloth from the capital”, Amandil replied. The door opened an inch, and dark eyes peered through. He waved the red and blue cloth he was holding, helpfully, but his gesture was met by a snort.

 

“Some seller you are. Sellers never come with no Elvish eyes and the brown skin of soldiers. You are that good-for-nothing mainlander that my niece was stupid enough to marry back then, and you are here to see her. Well, she does not want to see you! Oh, and if you try and bring your soldier fellows with you, you would do well to remember that her son is the tallest man in Númenor and a much better swordsman than you will ever be!”

 

Amandil took breath. In the mainland, this was usually the moment when the door was kicked and the old woman was trampled over. But this was Númenor. His wife was here. The very fact that he could think like this in such a circumstance filled him with a terrible stupor.

 

“Wait.” He grabbed the door just before the old woman managed to close it, and tried to remember the words he was supposed to say. Right at that moment, however, she started to scream, and his tethering resolve broke in a million pieces. His mind started receiving orders which his consciousness rejected. Memories tugged at his nerves.

 

He is not here!

 

A child had been crying in the back of the hut.

 

“Aunt, please. He is here with me. He only wants to talk.”

 

Halideyid. His quiet voice broke through the quivering mess, and his limbs started to relax. The door, however, did not close as he let go of it; the old woman had stopped trying to bang it shut.

 

“How could you bring him here!”

 

“He is my father. He is not an outlaw or a monster and he is not here to hurt anyone. And Mother does not hate him, she just did not want to... see him right now”, Halideyid tried to reason. The old woman shook her head furiously, until the veil she wore fell down to reveal a disheveled tress of grey-white hair.

 

“That is right, she did not want to see him! You are betraying her!”

 

“Things have changed, Aunt. He is here to stay this time. He is free from all the oaths of consecration, and he is his family´s heir. And...” Now, it was Halideyid´s turn to swallow. “If she does not like what he has come to say, he will leave.”

 

The woman´s frown looked slightly more thoughtful, though not any less confrontational. If a second figure had not appeared behind her right then, she would probably have closed the door on their noses anyway.

 

“Let them in.” It was Amalket. “I want to see him. I want to see how he looks like.”

 

The voice was calm, almost eerily so, yet also full of a controlled fire. The old woman turned back and hobbled away, grumbling something between her teeth.

 

She had aged, not as much as his wild calculations after seeing his dying mother and hearing Halideyid´s story had led him to believe, maybe, but there were still some gray hairs on her beautiful black mane, and wrinkles in her brow which had not been there before. She stood still behind the doorstep, her eyes inspecting him, his every feature and limb, every detail in his body from head to toe. They seemed to be devouring him, though not with the love or desire that he remembered from their earlier days. Instead of that, there was a darker emotion in them, one that he could not read.

 

“So it was true. You do not age. There are no white hairs, no wrinkles.” Her lips curved in a wry grin. “And yet, you are changed, too.”

 

“Amalket...” he began, uncomfortably.

 

“That skin. Those scars. That face... you look very different from those Elf-fiends you are descended from.” Halideyid´s face reflected the dismay of someone whose direst predictions had come true. Amandil thought about Lord Valandil and what he was going to say about all this, then immediately realized that he could not care less.

 

“I did not mean to lie to you. I was in love with you, and nothing else mattered... until the child came.” Halideyid mumbled an excuse and rushed across the space between them to disappear the same way as his mother´s aunt. Amandil was deeply grateful for this. “If he was to be born, my identity had to be kept secret. From everyone.”

 

“Even from me? What if I could not... what if I did not want...?”

 

“To have him?” Amandil finished softly. Amalket grew furious.

 

“How dare you use him as an excuse! How despicable of you! I love my son more than anyone in the world, but I had a right to know the truth!”

 

She was right, he thought, hating himself. It was an excuse, and a despicable one at that.

 

“I...” He sighed. “There is nothing I can do, but tell you the whole truth now. And hope that you will understand my behaviour back then. I was... I was scared, Amalket. “He had not planned on this line. “They tried to kill me several times when I was a child, just because of who I was. They would have also tried to kill any child of mine, or any woman who carried it in her womb. And I did not mean for you to carry it. You know what happened, as well as I do. Some people in my family are already calling it a divine miracle.” He repressed a humourless snort. “But I loved you. When I heard that you were pregnant with my child, I thought we had been sent a gift. I wanted it, and I wanted you, too. I broke with the Temple and entered the Cave, trusting that you would both be safe that way, and that, one day, we would be able to be together.”

 

“And you let me think you were the son of a merchant! My father married us and died without knowing that you were... that you were...!” Her eyes were red, agitated with a violent emotion, but she did not finish the sentence. Amandil wondered if maybe she cared, even slightly, for how it might have hurt him if she had.

 

“I did not know it would be so long. Oh, I knew that the late King had to die, that he was not that old yet. But deep inside, I did not realize how many years that would cost us. You.”

 

“Oh, yes, me.” Paying someone else´s debts. “For you, it was only a short period of your life, was it not? You will be able to make up for it later. Marry a woman from the line of Indilzar... have a real heir...”

 

“I will have no wife but you!”

 

She stared at him in incredulity.

 

“And why should I believe you? You have lied to me about everything, about who you were, about your friends, about who your family was!”

 

“You have to believe me now because I am here”, Amandil hissed. “I am here to take you to my family in the Andustar, and introduce you as my wife, and live with you there for the rest of our days!”

 

“Or for the rest of my days, at least”, she corrected bitterly. Something in her tone, in her words made a realization start dawning in Amandil´s mind. He opened his mouth to act on it, but she shook her head violently. “And that would be only if I agreed. Of course, you might take me by force, as you are so powerful now. But if you did, you would be shamed before your family.”

 

“Do not be so sure of that. “Now, it was his turn to snort. “Maybe they would think nothing of it, with their penchant for treason and associating with evil creatures.”

 

“Then, I hope you care for your son at least. I hope you do not want him shamed.”

 

“Now, who is it who will not leave Halideyid out of this?”

 

For the first time in the conversation, there was a long silence, barely interrupted by the rhythmic heaves of her breath. Under her dark raiment, her breasts were moving together with it, and Amandil swallowed a knot from his throat.

 

“You do not look older. You are as beautiful as ever.”

 

And then, the tears came.

 

“You lie. “

 

He felt a surge of hope.

 

“Why would I?”

 

“Because...” She wiped her cheek furiously, as if ashamed of her weakness. “Because you need me to... you need me to make Halideyid legitimate.”

 

“You said yourself that I could just have another child with a woman from a noble family.”

 

“But you love him. I know you do. You told him the truth, after all.” Him, not me. Amandil had been at the brink of revealing the secret that night, but he was still haunted by his previous conversation, and the next day he had to leave for the mainland. Her arms were warm and they gave him comfort, so he had stalled.

 

His greatest mistake.

 

Slowly, she walked towards a chair propped against a low table, put it up and sat on it, her back to him. Led by an impulse, he followed, and carefully laid a hand on her shoulder. She tensed, but did not shake him away. Encouraged by this, he touched her neck. It was as graceful as he remembered it.

 

Why did the gods, or the Elves, have to play such jokes on them, forcing similar lifespans to diverge, and tearing apart men and women who belonged to the same land and the same people? Why? Even his father had found it cruel.

 

“Amalket, they say that we have Elven blood in our veins. Elves can only marry once, and they do not love more than one person in all their lives.” Oh, how he hoped this could be true. It was his father who had claimed it, and Númendil was always finding ways to absolve every higher power from the mess they had created, but if only he could believe this thing alone, make her believe it too.... “My father and my grandfather were like this. I saw my mother die, Amalket, and she was old, but my father loved her, he loves her still...”

 

Little by little, she started leaning on to his touch. Her breath blended with his, until both were breathing in unison, and the spark of hope grew warm within him.

 

“Come with me”, he pleaded. “Let us say farewell to this ghastly charade, and live together like husband and wife. You will be a great lady in the Northwest, and one day your son will be the lord of Andúnië, the kin of kings, and rule over thousands...”

 

Suddenly, her limbs grew rigid again, and the warmth was gone. Amandil bit his lip.

 

“What is the matter?”

 

She stood up, her back to him.

 

“I do not care for your power and your riches. You can keep them all.” Her voice was icy, and yet it failed her slightly as she began the next sentence. “I... will go to Andúnië. For my son´s sake. But I am not ready yet, so you will have to go ahead.”

 

Amandil fought hard to hide his disappointment. He had been close... so close.

 

Still, speaking in terms of strategy, as a soldier would, the balance of this exchange had been a success. She was coming. Not with him, not forgiving him -but she was coming. He would have to hold on to that.

 

“Very well,” he nodded. “Write to me when you are ready, and I will send you an escort. Halideyid will probably want to come for you.”

 

“So, you are taking him.” She had begun to walk towards the corridor, but at those words she stopped briefly in her tracks. She shrugged. “Very well.”

 

“Please” he called after her before she could leave, “do not blame him. He only wanted the best for you. He loves you more than he will ever love me.”

 

“And whose fault was that?”

 

Amandil had spoken without any bitterness, but he still accepted this parting barb with nothing more than a silent wince.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Halideyid had followed him back to Armenelos without a complaint. As far as Amandil could gather from the few emotions he displayed, he seemed to have accepted his new destiny as matter-of-factly as he had accepted being left to his own devices since he was a child. Amandil wished he could share some of this attitude himself, of this willingness to shoulder any challenge, but all those years seemed to have exhausted it.

 

Of Amalket they did not speak anymore, not even once during the rest of the trip. Halideyid had spoken to her one last time before they took their leave from the farm, and whatever had been said between them, Amandil guessed he would never know.

 

Meanwhile, back at the abandoned palace, Númendil had been preparing everything for their departure. If he was surprised or dismayed to see them return without his son´s wife, his features did not show it. He accepted Amandil´s curt explanation gravely, and agreed to claim an imaginary illness of her old relative as an excuse for her absence. He did not even ask how long it would take her to return.

 

Amandil had the feeling that Lord Valandil was not going to be so understanding.

 

“Where are we going now? Is it haunted too?” Ashad asked as he walked in, carrying an armful of clothes. Númendil smiled.

 

“Not by anything evil. “Before the boy could reflect upon this, he chuckled. “Until we reach it, we have a long journey ahead of us, however. I am eager to see how your people ride. I have read many stories about that.”

 

His people ride like devils. They jump cliffs and cross raging streams and are upon you before you even have the time to get your sword out, Amandil thought, but Ashad looked excited at the prospect. So much that he ran towards the door and bumped into Halideyid, who came in at that moment. As he looked up, the boy forgot how to regain his balance and fell on his rear, the bundle of clothes pressed against his nose. His eyes grew large as moons, and he whispered something in a Haradric dialect.

 

“Come on, Ashad, do not be so dramatic. He is just tall,” Amandil sighed. “Halideyid, my son. This is Ashad, a boy from Harad. He stole my horse and boarded the ship without my permission. Or tried to, anyway.”

 

Halideyid stared at him curiously. Ashad jumped to his feet in a quick movement, and retreated a little.

 

“I see. “Halideyid smiled, and suddenly Amandil realized that he had been holding his breath. Before, other people had thought... “So, you are from the mainland! I have never been there.” With an easier, more natural movement than any he had performed since they met him on the doorstep of that school, he took the clothes from Ashad and rearranged them under his arm. The boy didn´t even have the time to struggle or refuse. Little by little, fear turned into uneasy wonder. “Will you tell me about your country?”

 

Ashad seemed to realize that his hands were empty, and after a moment´s thought, he followed him and the clothes towards the yard. Before the sound of their footsteps died, Amandil could hear both his voice and Halideyid´s voice pick up a conversation.

 

“Well, well. He is good with children.”

 

“He has been a teacher for many years.” Amandil nodded, still distracted by what had just happened, and tense with the repressed fear of moments ago. Belatedly, he noticed that he was alone with his father and should therefore switch to Quenya. He was growing better at it, but still not enough for Lord Valandil, and the presence of other people was making it difficult to find moments for practice. Even worse, when under any kind of pressure he tended to forget what he had remembered, and his mind went dangerously blank. “He is... good”, he completed, lamely, in the ancient tongue.

 

“Oh, he is.” Númendil smiled. “And you will be, too, at whatever you have to be.”

 

Amandil was not so sure of that.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The departure took place early in the morning, before most of the citizens of Armenelos were roused from their sleep by the cries of vendors or the chants from the temples. The King had advised them to be prudent about their “public displays” until they won back the trust of the people. Amandil was fine with this; he had never displayed himself anywhere and was not comfortable at all with people noticing his presence.

 

They all rode horses this time, for speed and also because, as Númendil had told them, the road to Andúnië became hard and difficult towards the end. Like Gadir and Umbar, the natural access to the place used to be by sea, which the Northwestern lords used to control, while the land traveler was not so welcome, especially after the shadow of suspicion and war arose among the Númenoreans themselves. During the war of Alissha, of terrible memory for all, Andúnië had become an almost impenetrable stronghold where the Faithful and their people could gather in safety, surviving from the provisions sent by sea until the very end, when even the powerful fleet to which they had entrusted their hopes had been destroyed in battle by the ships of Forostar and the colonies.

 

For the most part, however, the roads were fairly good, the springs abundant and the shade trees thick and numerous, especially after they crossed the borders of the King´s land and entered the Andústar. The fields were lush and green, and Amandil was surprised to hear his father regret the wilderness to which they had been reduced because of the exile and deportation of the people who used to till them. In painfully constructed Quenya, he told Númendil that the Haradrim would kill for fields like these, and that, to him, they looked perfectly fine to grow things on them as they were. Besides, with all that water available nothing could possibly go wrong. Númendil looked really surprised at this, more than he had looked in any of the last days since their first, stormy talks in Rómenna. He nodded at Amandil´s words, and admitted that he hadn´t looked at things that way.

 

Meanwhile, Ashad, who would have scoffed at this -he had to teach the boy how to address Númenoreans if he was to live free of trouble in the Island- was too busy pulling dangerous stunts with his horse on the front of the column. Usually, Halideyid would take upon himself to watch him, but that day he had stayed on the rear, and now and then Amandil had caught him gazing at his surroundings with an unfathomable expression. Once, as a crowd of peasants waved at them from the side of the road, he saw the young man´s frown darken slightly.

 

“They are happy to be back home”, his father mused at the moment, and he reluctantly turned his eyes away from his son to look at him. “They are happy, and yet...”

 

“And yet what?” he asked, curious. Númendil shook his head.

 

“You will find out soon.” For a moment, there was a speculative glint in his grey eyes which made his expression look less ethereal than usual. “Lord Valandil will no doubt inform you of everything which has been going on here since our return.”

 

Amandil nodded, thoughtful. What could have happened? Border trouble? A conflict with the Cave? His father might fancy that he, as former priest, could help with that. No matter how often he had told him that the priests of the Cave had no reason to harbour any friendly feelings towards him whatsoever.

 

In any case, he had the distinct suspicion that Númendil expected him to succeed in something where other people had previously failed. And this would not make things less any difficult than they already seemed to be.

 

The cry of a seagull broke through his thoughts, while in the front of the column, somebody shouted that they were approaching the sea.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Amandil remembered the Western sea. By its shores, he had lived what had arguably been the most peaceful years of his life, away from the capital, from the King and his priests. His wife and son had been away, but not a world away, and now and then they would visit him and he would see their faces among the crowd of pilgrims celebrating the Lady´s Battle. The authorities of the Cave tended to ignore him in fear of sharing in his disgrace, or being suspected of conspiration with the Eastern exiles. He had been free to cool his feet on the white surf and watch the sunset, and this, more than the grueling daily sessions of combat practice he had engaged into in the hope of being sent to fight in the mainland, was what had really stayed with him from those days.

 

Now, he was back to those same shores as a son of Andúnië and a Faithful, not as an exile. The lands which stretched to the East of the road and the coast which stretched to the West belonged to his family, and so did the impregnable citadel nesting in its gray stone cliff. And yet the feeling of being a prisoner, which had always followed him wherever he went, dying briefly in the brutal anonimity of the foreign Middle Earth only to be awoken with a vengeance as he set foot in Sor, haunted his step and deepened the afternoon shadows as they advanced through the pathways of the cliff. His father walked before him, his son behind him, the former as sure-footed as the latter seemed careful and awkward, and for an irrational moment he felt trapped between the two, the misplaced generation who had been drafted by some Greater Power to make things right for the others after failing them for all his life.

 

A crowd of people was expecting them at the other side, beside one of the pale arms of the artificial bay of Andúnië. They pressed around them as they mounted and made their way up the stone and marble stairs towards the upper level, and the palace perched on the summit of the cliff. Curious glances were directed towards him and Halideyid, the scarred warrior and the freakish giant, each in his own way so different from the proper lords of Andünié that they were used to see. Halideyid looked down, seemingly chafing under this onslaught of attention. Amandil was feeling uncomfortable as well, but he felt the impulse of shielding him somehow, of hiding him from the whispers of the people. The impossibility of carrying out this wish provoked a momentary bout of frustration. He clenched his fists on the reins.

 

It was already late afternoon when they crossed the gates of the strange palace of Andúnië. Amandil had never seen anything like it, not even in the most exotic parts of the mainland. The main house stood at a distance, and around it lay, not a wilderness but a proper garden, with noble and well-tended plants, which for some reason had been allowed to grow outside instead of inside. Behind them, the walls were built in pale marble. Under the moonlight, Amandil could not help but think, the place would have felt as alien and otherwordly to him as the house of his family in Rómenna. Ashad would not be able to sleep here -and he might not be the only one.

 

As they made their way across the garden paths, the noise of the streets faded and died in their ears, leaving nothing but silence and a distant rumble of waves that reminded Amandil of the night in which his mother had died. Though it was warm, he threw his cloak over his shoulders and shivered against its folds.

 

“This way,” his father´s soft voice guided him. He was ushered again through stone corridors and white marble floors, wondering, in the blink of an eye, if everything since that fateful night had been nothing but parts of the same dream.

 

Climbing a set of pure white stairs without tiles, they came to an audience room, and everyone except him and Númendil were motioned to remain behind. The place seemed empty, the walls bare except for an old tapestry that hung behind a wooden chair where an old, gaunt-looking man sat following his movements with his glance. His hair was white; long and disheveled over his thin shoulders, but his features were those of the lords of Andúnië, with a sharp, aquiline nose and grey eyes that stared at him as if they could tear his flesh apart and see what lay underneath. Amandil stopped in his tracks.

 

“Lord Valandil”, he greeted in Elvish, bowing low.

 

“Amandil”, the man replied. The penetrating quality of his glance was intensified, but Amandil did not falter. His father had hinted enough about the importance of this meeting.

 

He had also received hints about the things he was going to be asked about, and of the dangers he should avoid. However, when the old man stretched forth his hand and revealed an object he had been holding in his lap, puzzlement superseded his feeling of alert. His eyes widened.

 

“Do you know this?”

 

The words had been spoken fast and between the teeth, very differently from the slow and patient tone in which Númendil always addressed him, to give him the time to recognize the words and the grammatical structures. Still, the intonation left no room for doubt as for what he meant – and what he was referring to.

 

It was a statue, coarsely carved in stone, the likes of which Amandil had seen in the mainland often enough. However, it was the first time he had seen that particular depiction: a man and a woman, both sitting side by side, with stars scratched roughly upon their brows.

 

He paused, thinking hard what to say. He had never seen those statues, but maybe he was expected to. Maybe they represented the gods that his family had always worshipped, and this was some kind of test, to see if he could recognize them.

 

The Valar are not gods.

 

He took a long breath. It was not possible. Their people made no temples, or statues, or any such things. This was left to the worshippers of the false gods. The only god they recognized was Ilúvatar, and there were no statues of Him.

 

So, what was this?

 

“I...” he ventured cautiously, slowed both by his thoughts and his attempts at a perfect pronunciation. “I am not sure.”

 

Valandil´s frown deepened.

 

 

The Baalim

Read The Baalim

By dawn, Amandil was already on his feet. He grabbed something from the kitchens and found his way to the stables, where his horse had been locked up the previous night. It glared at him balefully.

“There is no need for a saddle”, he insisted to the bleary-eyed stable hand, who seemed unable to comprehend the meaning of his words even as he started rummaging at the back. Trial and costly error had taught the former soldier to ride as the Umbarian tribesmen did, on the bare back of the horse, and he was able to forego saddle and trappings when there was need for speed or stealth. And there was need for them right now: he did not want to meet anyone in the house.

“I said, there is no...” he insisted, waddling through the muck to get to his horse himself. Before he could finish his sentence, he heard a sound of leather dragging across the floor, and turned back to see Ashad, standing by the doorside with a tangle of horse reins in his fist.

“Oh, here you are,” Amandil sighed. He should have known he would be unable to leave completely unnoticed, not by a boy who never fell asleep in places he categorized as strange.

In any case, he was grateful enough when Ashad untied the horses with silent efficiency, and did not even object when he saw him prepare two horses instead of one. The stablehand shrugged, and went back to sleep.

There was something relieving in the action of galloping away from the stone mansion, first through the empty paved streets surrounding the harbour, and then, as they left the town of Andúnië behind, into the wild rocky paths of the seaside, where no soul rode or walked at that hour of the day.

The way was steep, and Amandil a complete foreigner to the land of his ancestors, but they still had managed to cross the entire cliffside when the sun rose. As the cliffs gentled into orange-tinted slopes, and the wide expanse of untilled fields opened before their eyes, the relief coursing through his veins turned into exhilaration. For a moment, he found himself tempted to pretend he was in a forgotten posting in the mainland, settling petty squabbles between the natives and whiling away his days in the cottage of a straw-haired woman. When had such an unenviable fate, a fate he had tried to escape once, become his fantasy?

Then, however, the crude statuettes with stars upon their brows jabbed into his left side through the leather of the bag he was carrying. He had not left Andúnië for a fantasy of any kind, but to do his duty. No matter how difficult life in the Island seemed to him, it was his life now.

The house he sought was three miles away from the harbour town, tiny but standing apart from several others in the recently settled plain. It lay under a hill, in a slope where a few fruit trees had recently taken root. Three of the inhabitants were outside the house: one of them perched atop the roof, probably thatching it, and two others in the fields. One of them was running in rather erratic patterns, just a child, Amandil catalogued mentally. Years of conditioning had left their mark, compelling him to distribute the peasants into potential fighters and non-fighters as soon as they were in sight. But those peasants, he reminded himself, were not barbarians: they were Númenórean. And not only Númenórean, but Faithful.

Whatever that meant for them.

“Greetings!”, he hailed, stopping on a path of flattened earth which veered off from the road right in front of their house- well, more like a cottage, he observed, noticing the precarious state of the wooden structure. He had not seen that kind of dwelling in Númenor before, only in the mainland. Those people were newcomers; after generations of exile, the house they once owned had probably crumbled into dust or been destroyed, and it would be imperative to find quick shelter before they had the time to build something more permanent.

The man who was thatching the roof was the only one who did not immediately rush towards him and Ashad, eyes wide upon noticing his horse, his clothing, and -he sighed at the thought-, his features. Two more people, women, emerged from inside the house; the younger of them rushing to grab the child, a little girl who was running right at the hooves of Ashad´s horse.

“I am -I am Amandil, son of Númendil.” Suddenly, he felt like an idiot, trying to explain who he was and the unfathomable incongruity of why he was here. “I...”

The woman who had not grabbed the child was looking at him in awe. Before he could finish his sentence, she had bowed, and the rest of the family followed her example.

Ashad´s eyes widened.

“Wow”, he said, eloquently.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

By the time Amandil was divested from his horse, ushered inside the family hearth, and reverentially offered food and drink, he was starting to fly into a panic. They are Númenórean. They are Faithful. They are your grandfather´s subjects, he repeated like a mantra, but that was not enough, because the fear of falling into a trap, instinctive as it might be at this point, was not what was pushing him to the edge.

He had been invited to other houses. He had been given food before, and shelter, and sometimes his hosts had not even wanted to kill him or trick him in any way. The love, the reverence he saw in this people´s eyes, however, was something he had never seen in the eyes of strangers before, Númenórean or barbarian. He even had trouble accepting it from a father he had barely met, let alone these peasants, who seemed to expect him to accept their devotion as if it was somehow his due.

“This juice was made with the first fruit from our trees”, the man who had been thatching the roof, and who had come down to join in such a momentous occasion, explained to him as he pointed at the cup of orange juice upon the table. Amandil nodded, and the man smiled. It was a wide smile which showed a few missing teeth, suddenly reminding him of a beggar in a harbour long ago.

You came to deliver us, as it was promised! You are the Lord of Andúnië, our rightful lord! Praise the Baalim and Baal Shamem, the King of the skies!

The remembrance struck him with a jolt.

“Hey, that is good! I thought Númenórean oranges were all disgusting”, Ashad chimed in with his mouth full. Amandil frowned at him, still shaken by his discovery.

“I am sorry. One day, he will learn to remain silent.”

Nobody seemed inclined to take offense, however, at least not with him in the room. Even the little girl was sitting still like a statue, staring at them like they were gods.

Gods.

And there they were, he realized, barely a few feet away from the cushion he had been given at the head of the low table. Two images, similar to the ones he had stowed in his bag, of a male and a female with stars upon their foreheads. Before them, a thread of incense had recently been burning; the faint aroma reminded him of the temples where he had spent his youth.

“The statues.” He cleared his throat, then realized he had the cup of juice in his hand and swallowed a long sip. It tasted very sweet. “The Lord of Andúnië was given ones like these.”

As he was gazing at the woman who had first greeted him, it was her face he saw fall.

“We were there”, the man spoke. “There was a ceremony a month ago. A feast. We had recently arrived and we wanted... we wanted to thank the Lord, and of course the gods, for the end of our exile.”

“The statues we gave to him” the woman continued, “were old heirlooms. They belonged to three generations of our people. Oh, I know they are nothing like the things you are used to, things made of gold, and diamonds, and silver steel. Still... “A blush covered her face, dark and deep, and she looked down. Amandil waited for her to speak, but neither she nor anybody else uttered a word for a long and uncomfortable while.

“He did not like the present”, Amandil guessed. He took a long breath. “I do not wish to inconvenience you, or cause a delay in your work. All I want is to speak for a while with the both of you.” The older man and woman looked at each other in brief shock, but nodded. Amandil stared at Ashad next, narrowing his eyes meaningfully. “Since you have followed me all the way here, you might as well help them.”

Ashad knew that look, and he did not argue. Neither did the rest of the people, who bowed low before queueing to exit the building. Once at the doorstep, they bowed once more, and Amandil noticed that the girl had to be dragged away from the spot. Only when she saw that Ashad was coming with them, her attention was finally directed at something else and she followed him to the fields, not unlike a duckling after its mother.

He turned away from the endearing sight, back to the uncomfortable silence, and his duty.

“These gods”, he spoke, rummaging inside his bag until he caught them. “They are the... the Valar, are they not?” The Valar, worshipped in the shapes of statues, like the Lady of the Cave and the Lord of Armenelos. He could see how that would have horrified Lord Valandil.

“Of course!” The woman nodded with vehemence, as if she was being accused. Maybe she felt she was. “They are the Baalim, the Valar as you call them in the holy tongue. We have worshipped them and only them since we were exiled after the Great War, at the time of my grandfather´s grandfather. There were many hardships and persecutions and unspeakable things we had to endure in order to survive. But we never strayed, not for one moment! There was always incense at their altar, even when there was no food to eat or clothes to wear... even when...”

“That is enough. The Lord Amandil is not here to listen to our pitiful tales, Nimri”, the man cut her, visibly uncomfortable. Amandil felt somewhat guilty for being thankful at his intervention.

It would have happened in a generation or two, similarly to how Yehimelkor had taught him that statues of the Lord of Armenelos and even of Eru himself had begun to be made by people who forgot it was wrong. But then again, in Middle-earth he had met peoples who worshipped statues of those same gods, under slightly different shapes and names, and they claimed to have done so long before the Númenóreans sailed to their shores. He never had the chance to discuss his findings with the priest, but he could imagine him saying that truth and obfuscation waged an eternal war since Men first sought beyond themselves and discovered the divine. If Men forgot the truth even for a moment, obfuscation immediately took its place in their hearts.

Of course, he knew that to be true. Though endowed with a longer lifespan than any of these people, not to mention the blood of the rulers of the Faithful, he had completely forgotten everything he had learned as a child. When his father had explained to him that the Valar were not gods, and that they could not interfere in the affairs of Men, he had been greatly surprised. Since long ago, so long that he couldn´t even remember, he had believed that the Valar were like opposing gods, the gods of light and good against the gods of darkness and evil. After a while, “gods of light and good” had merely become, in his mind, the gods of his family, who might have forsaken him since he was consecrated to the god of his enemies. And then, he had stopped paying much attention to gods in general. The only exception in this life of careful avoidance of the divine had been the birth of his child, and the belief that some higher entity had been responsible, but even then he never knew who it was, or whether they had meant him good or harm. Maybe, he had thought several times in Middle-earth, it had been wishful thinking.

Then, all of a sudden, his father came with his ancient lore and scrolls, and told him that everything he had ever thought was wrong. This would have been a life-shattering experience for him if he had really harboured a devoted attachment for the indifferent or resentful gods that he had imagined. But after the initial shock, everything fell into place. There were no gods watching over Men, therefore all the senseless killings he had witnessed, escaped, averted and perpetrated, the tosses and turns of his own life, made sense after all.

Except for Eru. Eru, the most elusive concept of them all. Everybody believed there was something above Creation, even above the sky and the gods themselves, but most Númenóreans agreed that this Eru was beyond Men and their petty toils and sufferings. It was only among the mainland tribes of the South and his own family that he had encountered the belief that Eru was behind the destiny of every person, that He knew and cared for them and what they did. Amandil did not know how to feel about this, being manipulated by an entity he could not even pray to. Even allowing that he, as his father claimed, could have a brilliant destiny and save Númenor in some fashion, what about everybody else? What about the barbarians who fought and died every day in the hard roads of Harad, their bodies burned like those of the Orcs? What about the people who were exiled from their lands by Ar-Adunakhôr, to live a miserable existence for centuries? Did Eru have a plan for each and every one of them, too?

Why in the world would they be faithful to Him? Even his father´s old admonition, that they had to obey the King who held the Sceptre in Armenelos no matter what he did to them was easier to accept than this. And these people, led by his own family, had already revolted against the King once.

“I am sorry. But I would wish to know.” Suddenly, his musings were interrupted by Nimri´s voice. He focused his attention back on her, and saw the spark of hurt stubbornness still buried beneath her subservience. “What did we do wrong? Is it how we pray to them? The holy tongue was lost in the East, and everything our ancestors wrote down was burned. Do we offend them by making statues with clay? We had no other materials, and it is only now that we can start using wood...”

How could he explain this?

“Lord Valandil believes” he began very carefully, “that the Valar should not be worshipped.”

This time, both looked equally shocked.

“Why?”

Yes, why? Who was he to split hairs with them? His father should have been the one to come here. Or Yehimelkor, for the matter.

“Because they are not... because they do not...” He shook his head, feeling more and more ridiculous. As he did so, his eye fell upon a small tray of offerings in front of the family altar, where he could now distinguish a number of carefully aligned strands of hair. Thirteen in total... not only from the living, but also from the dead in exile.

“Lord Valandil... is a follower of old lore, the lore from before the war, and he believes that the Valar should only be addressed at certain celebrations, and in the ancient tongue”, he lied. “He might also have been confused by the statues, because they look similar to the statues of other gods, which are also made in the East. But as soon as the situation is explained to him, I am sure he will understand.”

“Really?” Both his hosts looked relieved. The man nodded carefully, as if to help this new information to sink in. “I... this was...we were all concerned, but now... W-we will explain this to everyone else, and then we will all learn the holy tongue and study the ancient ways so we can pray better.”

“We will not forget your consideration. Undeserving as we might be, we are thankful” the woman added. Again, both of them bowed to him, and not just in awe, as they had earlier in the day, but with something more, something he was still not sure of having deserved.

Because Lord Valandil was not going to understand.

“There is no need for that!” he said, a little too fast. “In any case, I have to ride back to Andúnië now, so... I will leave you to your work.”

Ashad had found the basics of seed planting interesting enough, though he seemed very thankful to be freed from the girl who had stuck to him like a limpet. As soon as Amandil called to him, he shook her away and winced when she began to cry. Immediately, he ran towards his horse and mounted it as if a horde of Orcs was following them.

Letting go of the tension for a moment, Amandil chuckled.

“You might change your mind about her in a few years”, he told the sulking boy, mounting his own horse and heading back for the road.

Far ahead, in the cliffs of the Andúnië seacoast, stormclouds were starting to gather.

 

*     *     *      *     *

 

“Is there danger? In what they are doing? I do not think so. Therefore, I do not think it is ne-necess... necessary...”

Amandil paused for a moment, his hand instinctively tracing a path across his face, forehead, and sweaty hair while he suppressed a sigh. He could not argue in Quenya. Not about this. Not with that man.

Valandil scowled.

“What do you know? You cannot properly comprehend what I am saying. You cannot even speak our language, why should you be trusted in religious matters?”

“Father.” Númendil tried once more to intervene. “Father – please.”

“Enough!” For the last hour, Amandil had been trying to explain everything he had learned that morning in a polite and deferential way. He had even gone to Númendil for help in how to use the most appropriate turns of phrase to defend his opinion. He had thought long and hard in his way home, and spun a decent discourse on how statues and prayers were the common people´s expression of sincere devotion to the true principles of the faith of the Elf-friends, and that going against this would only result in pointless strife. Through this, he had appealed to emotion as well as to logic: their faith as they knew it was the only thing which had sustained them through centuries of exile and they shouldn´t be asked to give it up now.

All of it, however, had fallen on deaf ears. It was as if Lord Valandil couldn´t even hear what he was saying. As far as he was concerned, anyone who did not speak proper Quenya was not qualified to be a judge of anything because they had obviously strayed from the proper path, and this included both the other Faithful and Amandil himself.

That man had spent more than Amandil´s entire lifetime confined in a house in Sor. It was as if he had forgotten that there were living people outside the walls of his prison. How could such a man rule a province? Maybe it was better if they remained tributaries to the Cave; at least the High Priest there could be relied upon to be aware of the goings-on of his subjects.

And speak their language.

“That is enough!” Amandil repeated, this time in Adûnaic. “You can understand me perfectly! I have been doing my best; since I landed in Sor, I have worked every day to remember a language I have not spoken since I was a child, but there simply hasn´t been enough time! You, however, have shunned the language of your own people, the language spoken in your lands. How can you rule if you refuse to listen to them?”

For a while, Valandil stared at him as if he really could not understand the sounds he was uttering. There was an instant in which Amandil found himself hoping that this had been the case, but then the Lord of Andúnië´s right hand began to tremble on his armrest, and his face reddened.

“You will stop using that foul language in my house!”

“Adûnaic is not the Black Tongue!”

Númendil looked at both of them in despair. It was the first time that Amandil saw his calm father so affected by something. Let him be, he thought in his rage. Let him see what taking me back will mean for this family.

“I should have known. I should have known what would happen.” Valandil began mumbling in a deceptively low tone, almost as if he had been able to read his grandson´s thoughts. He stood up from his seat, his gaze growing stormier and stormier. “The late King wanted to kill the heir of the Western line, and he did. You who are standing here before me, are not one of us. You are a slave to their foul gods, a parrot for their evil! You have shamed yourself with one of their women, and produced a spawn that is not our blood! Take them and go back where you belong, to the Shadow-infested land of Middle-earth with your friends, the priests, the barbarians and the filthy merchants! Take them and begone!”

Amandil did not even hear the last words. All blood had drained from his face, and for a moment he was sure that his eyesight and hearing had deserted him too. When he was able to see again, he reeled back from his shifting surroundings, feeling for a moment as if he was on a ship during a storm.

This was it. This was what he had most feared for his entire life, the reason why he did not allow himself to think of them, of what they would say when he met them. How many times had he composed this same speech in his mind, those same accusations when he was involuntarily reminded of his lost heritage? Not even all the undiluted wine in the world had been able to dull the pain. And now...

Now, he could not accept it. All the reproaches he had always believed he deserved had been thrown to his face, and he could not accept them.

“You are wrong”, he spat, as calmly as he could manage. “You are as suspicious, as inflexible and as wrong as the late King Gimilzôr. And if you refuse to listen to those around you, they will abandon you, just as his own kin abandoned him.”

Turning his back on his grandfather, he clenched his fists and abandoned the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The vase made the most satisfying crack of all as it shattered against the stone wall. There was something beautiful and fierce about watching the painted shards scatter at his feet irreversibly, which the ricocheting tables and chairs were not able to emulate.

“Amandil.”

“I am a barbarian.” The words came out calmly from his mouth, almost dangerously so. “This is what we do when we are angry.”

A second vase followed the first. Crack.

“I see.”

“Stop pretending that you do.”

“Amandil, I was present for the entirety of the conversation.”

“In that case, I am sure you must have realized that you should never have brought me here at all!” Realizing that he had run out of things to throw, the former warrior strode towards a lower table which was already on the floor and kicked it savagely. If only he had a sword, he could slash at the curtains too. That would feel even better.

Númendil did not even flinch.

“No. You are where you are meant to be.”

“Well, if that is true, then somebody else is not. And I am not the lord of this land, nor will I ever be!”

“Lord Valandil cannot disinherit you.” Braving Amandil´s violent disposition with an amount of aplomb that couldn´t help but surprise his son in spite of all his fury, Númendil picked up one of the toppled chairs, restored it to its former position and sat upon it. “You are my only son and I will never have another.”

“And what about my son? The spawn who is no blood of yours?”

The sharpened edge of these words proved stronger than flying furniture. Númendil breathed sharply.

“That is not true.”

“Is it not? After all, his mother is not my wife, merely a woman who made me shame myself! We were not married in the eyes of Eru, or the Valar, or whoever you call upon to oversee proper Faithful unions. We were only married in the eyes of the Goddess of the Cave and she is a false idol, so why shouldn´t I marry a proper wife and have a proper son now that I am back in my proper place?” Every word was spit with more bitterness than the last. “You wanted me to marry the Princess of the West!”

“The Goddess of the Cave is not false, she is merely no goddess. “It figured, that this should be the main objection to come to his father´s mind. “Neither are Manwë or Varda.”

“Then why shouldn´t people pray to them if they want to? They are not listening, they do not know, and they cannot be offended by it! We are not your Elves, Father! Men need to believe that someone is listening to their prayers! They need to give them a face and beg them, talk to them, give them offerings and sacrifices in return. I have seen this behaviour in Númenor, in Harad, among the Forest People, the Northerners, and even among your Faithful. It is human nature! If they believe in the Valar, they will make statues of the Valar, if they believe in the Lord of Armenelos or Uinen they will make statues of them. And if they believe in Eru they will make statues of Him too!”

Men. They. Amandil realized belatedly that he had laid himself open to questions that he did not want to answer. But maybe because of their very inevitability, they did not make it past his father´s lips.

“I think that you may be right, my son.” Stunned by this admission, Amandil´s tension subsided for a moment. “Lord Valandil is wrong. There is no evil in having travelled to many places and lived among many people. As I have claimed before, this enables you to understand things that come with great difficulty to people like us and endows you with greater wisdom. However...”

“However, I was out of line. He is the lord of Andúnië and I should bow and admit that he is right. In Quenya.” Amandil added with a sharp laugh.

“However,” Númendil continued as if he had not heard him, “there is a wisdom that eludes you. You wish him not to hold your previous life against you, because you were forced to do many of the things that you did. You wish him to accept the insights that this life has given you. But you refuse to do the same for him. He was forced to live in a prison for the entire lifespan of a lesser man, and now he is old and frail and in the twilight of his life. All that he is, all his insights about the world are a consequence of this, just as yours are the consequence of how you lived. I can remember him, how he used to be when he was free of this bitterness, of this suspicion, as you call it.” His eyes narrowed for a moment, and Amandil´s stomach gave a small turn. “As I also remember how you were when you were free of yours.”

Damn.

Sometimes, Amandil thought, he would prefer a hundred confrontations with Lord Valandil than a single one with his father.

“Then what do you suggest I do? “His voice became even hoarser. “That I beg his forgiveness, listen to his insults, stand aside while he sets his own peasants against him?”

The look in Númendil´s eyes felt like insecurity, too, if just for a moment. He visibly forced it away.

“I will speak with him about that. As for your son...”

“I would prefer for him to have no part in this”, Amandil said, disparagingly. “And no knowledge.”

“He may be the son of a Palace Guard´s daughter, but he is your son. If your marriage should not be found valid, all Lord Valandil can do is make it so. No man may have sons with a second woman, even if it should be with the Princess of the West herself. This is our way.”

“I... see.” Amandil nodded, wading past the shards of the vases he had broken to make his way towards the door. He would not show anyone how this admission relieved him, not even his father. “So you are stuck with the both of us.”

“And you with us.” Númendil stood up, his lips curving in a conciliatory smile. It looked so touchingly hopeful that Amandil was sorry for him.

I will see you later”, he muttered, in Quenya, before he left.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Things became quiet after that, though not with the kind of quiet Amandil associated with peace and harmony, but rather with the concealed mistrust which was already such a familiar feeling to him. To think that it would end like this, he mused, his lips curving in a bitter smile as he watched Halideyid teaching swordmanship to Ashad in an empty courtyard. All the years in the Temple of Armenelos, in the Cave, in Umbar, in the Middle Havens, surrounded by enemies and fending for himself, only to set foot in the homeland of his mother´s tales and find it not so different.

At least he was used to that. It was in many ways preferable to automatic trust and love, of the kind he had seen in the eyes of those peasants who welcomed him into their home, even though they had never seen him before. This was his life. His fate.

His son, however, and his wife...they were a different matter.

Amandil felt the suppressed anger boiling to the surface. Yesterday, his father´s sister, his aunt Artanis, had arrived from Armenelos. She had spent their entire imprisonment in Sor with her father, and seemed to be as embittered as he was for it. Though she had greeted him and Halideyid politely, her smile had not reached her eyes, which looked touched by frost as they gazed at him. This woman would be the lady of Andúnië now, the one whose favour Amalket would have to court if she wanted to thrive here. Amandil did not think it would be easy for her, or maybe even possible. Bringing his wife to this place, the wife who had spent decades waiting to share his life in happiness, was looking more and more like a bad idea.

As for Halideyid, he was accepting his new situation with the same gravity, the same lack of complaint with which he had accepted every other situation he had been dragged into since he was born. Amandil could not help but remember that fateful night when he had told his son the truth about their shared heritage, how he had nodded and learned to live with it. He also remembered how his son had refused Pharazôn´s money as soon as he came of age, choosing to leave the Guards and make a living for himself when they would not give him what was his due as his grandfather´s heir. Most of all, he could not forget the lack of reproach with which Halideyid had borne his father´s absence for all those years. He did not deserve a son like him, he thought, watching his movements with an unexpected surge of tenderness which also turned to bitterness after a moment. Bringing him here was perhaps the worst thing he had ever done to Halideyid, to this place where he was thought of as the spawn of a disgraceful woman and refused even the courtesy of being addressed in his own language.

“You are leaving, Father?”

Jolted out of his thoughts by the young man´s own voice, Amandil realized that he was standing on the porch. Impulsiveness -another of the many bad habits that he had to get rid of.

“Carry on”, he said with as much dignity as he could muster, turning on his heels and walking away from this place and company. If he could not sit still, he would go wherever his feet would take him.

They took him to the corridor that connected this with the main courtyard, where the noise of raised voices first caused him to stop in his tracks.

Never. I will never allow you to do this.”

It was his grandfather´s voice, he realized with a jolt.

“It is my decision to make.”

Amandil swallowed in surprise. He had never heard Númendil sound so... determined. So cold.

“Not yet. I wear the ring of Barahir in my finger still.”

“Father...”

“I will not lay it down if it is not my wish to do so. Like my life. This has been our gift for thousands of years.”

“A gift to be used, not misused. You are old, Father. If you refuse to lay down your rule when the time comes, the first among our kin to do so...”

“How dare you?”

“... it will be proof that the Shadow has invaded our land as well, and there is no more hope for Númenor.”

“Silence!”

There was a brief pause.

“Please reconsider.” Now, this was more like the Númendil whom Amandil was used to: conciliating, beseeching. “The future of Númenor is uncertain, and great challenges will arise that neither you nor I are capable of dealing with.”

“And he will deal with them, I assume?” Valandil snorted, and from the contemptuous way in which he spat the pronoun, Amandil was sure that he was referring to him. “The former servant of the Dark One, who has spent his entire life sacrificing and killing for our enemies? The Prince of the South´s son’s dearest friend? The husband of the guard´s daughter? The barbarian who came here only to deride our oldest...?”

“That is enough, Father. He did what he had to do because there was no other choice. He understands what it is to live persecuted, among enemies, to do what he needs to survive. He can build bridges with other people who might be our allies in the times to come!”

“We are the Faithful! All of Númenor has compromised with evil. Even the King has been forced to compromise with evil to hold the Sceptre! If we compromise, too, what will be left of our island?”

Another silence. Amandil knew that he should leave, that he should not be listening to this conversation, but he could not bring himself to move.

“I will hear no more on this matter. I will only bequeath the ring to you if you swear that you will keep it until your time is over.”

“I am not made to rule, Father. I never was.”

“Then you will learn! Or I will keep it myself until old age defeats me and disgrace our lineage forever!”

This yell finally acted as a wakeup call for the stricken Amandil, who regained his bearings and walked away. His heart was beating fast inside his chest.

I will bequeath the ring to you only if you swear that you will keep it.

I am not made to rule.

He wanted him to be the next Lord of Andúnië, he realized. His father wanted him to be the next lord of Andúnië, forsaking his own birthright.

From outcast to lord, he thought, laughing. The laugh sounded strange even to his own ears. He was scared. He was more scared than the time he was tied in a cave with a dozen Orcs who had killed the rest of his party.

“Did something happen, Father?” Halideyid greeted him with eyes full of concern. Ashad was gathering the combat gear to put it back in the storage closet, raising a ruckus which seemed to reverberate incongruously across the quiet expanse of this place.

Amandil shook his head. He had to rein his emotions. For Halideyid´s sake, at least; he owed him this much.

“We... should eat. I am sure you must be hungry after the exercise.”

For a moment, Halideyid seemed about to say something, but whatever it was did not make it past his lips. He nodded.

“As you wish.”

 

The More Things Change

Read The More Things Change

“There, this is the throne. This is where the people in attendance will be, and she will be at the other side.” Zakarbal of Sorontil´s head turned right and left, barely able to keep up with the King´s swift directions across the painted hall in the West Wing women´s quarters. Finally, Ar-Inziladûn´s hand motioned at the twin ivory chairs near the balcony, where the Queen was nodding with a little too much cheer, and the Princess ignored them all.

“She will walk past them, all of them, and kneel before the throne. She will bow thrice. Everyone will fall silent to hear the words in the ancient tongue: This is the sword of Doriath, the sword of Númenor, the sword of Elros.”

“What is Do -forgive me, my lord, go on.” Seeing the all-too-familiar look of impatience in the King´s eyes, Zakarbal surrendered to the pull of his enthusiasm. “The sword of Elros, you said.

“This is the sword of Kings, the sword of Men, the sword of my line.” Ar-Inziladûn continued, without paying heed to the interruption. “You will wield it as my heir and protect Númenor and its colonies, until the time comes for you to sit on this throne and wield the Sceptre in your... Did I say something funny, Lord Zakarbal?”

“Excuse me.” The Northern lord tried, once again, to school his look into one of rapt attention, but it would not work. Feigning was for courtiers, after all. So he gave up his attempt and shook his head, a tiny gesture of incredulity which made him feel more like himself. “But...wield it? Protect Númenor?”

“This ceremony is over two thousand years old. Are you implying that you disapprove of it?” The King´s frown became as stormy as that of his wife, who was glaring at them from the other side of the room. Zakarbal felt as if he was being assailed by a vastly superior force.

“I do not disapprove. She is my niece, and I wish to see her sit on the throne as much as you do.”

“Maybe you do not disapprove of it.” Inziladûn stared long and hard at him, but there was not much of a need for his fabled perception powers to come upon his next conclusion. “However, you do not believe in it.”

“I am merely trying to see this from the viewpoint of those who will be in attendance!” the Northern lord claimed, defensively. “There have been Ruling Queens in the past, I know. There have been sword-bequeathing ceremonies in the past, I know that, too. But who remembers them now? All which people are going to see is the Princess receiving a sword and being told to protect Númenor with it! A Princess who has not been seen more than once in public because she is too frail, and who might be anxious, unable to learn the words, even collapse...”

“That is enough, brother!” Zarhil´s glare had turned to righteous fury, and she laid a protective arm upon her daughter´s shoulder. “Míriel is of the blood of Elros and the rightful heir to the Sceptre. She will do this and everything else that is required of her!”

She does not even believe it herself. Zakarbal knew his sister well enough to tell.

“It is not that I do not understand your concerns,” the King sighed. “But nobody ever said that our path would be easy, either before the late King´s passing or afterwards. In order to restore the ancient ways and change Númenor, we must have the wisdom to know when to compromise with the enemy, and when to forge ahead and expose ourselves to censure and opposition. This, I know it in my heart, is something in which we must persevere, in spite of all the difficulties we may encounter. The ruling line must be secured beyond all possibility of a doubt, and it has to happen soon.”

“Then, why not marry her first? You spoke of a long-lost heir of the Western line who would be a good choice for a King -I mean, Regent Consort.” The title sounded alien in his mouth.

Inziladûn shook his head.

“If Míriel was married, my brother and the Merchant Princes would have a much harder time accepting her appointment as heir. One of the Exiles chosen to rule over them -that would be tantamount to an act of war. It must be done gradually, as with all delicate things. Besides...” He looked regretful. “It turns out that Amandil of Andúnië is already married.”

“Really? Is she of noble birth?”

“She has a son.”

“Oh.” Zakarbal´s eyes widened, then he looked down, trying to hide his disappointment. “So- that is that.”

“Not so fast. There are other ways still open to us. For example, that son.” For the first time since his indulgences in old lore had been interrupted, the King´s lips curved into a smile. “He was a child of his youth, so he is barely twenty years younger than Amandil himself, I believe. And he is unmarried.”

The lord of Sorontil pondered this.

“Then that would make him some twenty years younger than the Princess of the West herself, as well. The age difference between you and the Queen is greater than that, my lord King. And you are of course an exemplary pair.”

Zarhil stared at them, very displeased at this turn of the conversation.

“There is no need to discuss such hypothetical matters in front of the Princess!”, she barked. She held her arm towards her daughter again, searching for her shoulder as if for protection, but it fell back in place as the Princess stood up from her chair. At once, the Queen was upon her daughter, but Míriel walked past her as if she was but an obstacle in her path. She looked so adamant, so regal as she made her way towards the two men, that Zakarbal stared as if it was the first time he saw her.

And then, she knelt.

This is the sword of Doriath, the sword of Númenor, the sword of Elros” she recited, flawlessly, in the ancient tongue. A tongue she had never spoken before, not even once, her uncle realized. “This is the sword of Kings, the sword of Men, the sword of our line. I will wield it as your heir and protect Númenor and its colonies, until the time comes for me to sit on this throne and wield the Sceptre in my hand.”

Her hand moved forwards, and her fingers clenched boldly into thin air, as if grabbing an invisible blade.

“Míriel...” the King mumbled, too shocked to find his voice. Her eyes were hard, a pair of black diamonds atop a frozen mountain peak. As he gazed into them, suddenly Zakarbal, fifteenth lord of Sorontil and the Forrostar, felt as insignificant as a worm.

“It is an easy task to be a puppet. Even the simplest, most wretched person can repeat words. And I am not simple. “The black diamonds narrowed. “Never forget that.”

Before any of them could attempt a reply, the Princess turned away, and abandoned the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“I will never be able to learn it.”

Amandil stopped dead in his tracks. A book was lying at his feet, its venerable pages stained with the dust of the courtyard. In a corner of his mind, an angry Yehimelkor was pointing at it and shouting about blasphemy and defilement.

Slowly, he knelt and picked it up, cleaning the dust with as much thoroughness as he managed while he processed the situation.

“Halideyid”, he said. “What...?”

His son shook his head in pure, unadulterated despair. The irony of the situation was so great that, at any other time, Amandil would have been tempted to laugh.

Halideyid, the boy who never complained. Who made a living for himself without his father. Who walked away from the Guards and turned them into his enemies without a second thought. Who withstood a dozen subtle insults a day ever since he arrived to the household of the Lords of Andúnië, never giving as much as a clue that he had either heard or understood them. That Halideyid -defeated by a book.

“I am sure you will be able to do it. You only need time”, he began, but Halideyid shook his head again.

“No! I cannot do it. I am sorry, Father. I cannot.” All platitudes, all petty temptations to be flippant, deserted Amandil´s thoughts in unison, like a flock of seagulls taking flight after a thunderbolt. Halideyid seemed at the verge of crying.

“I have tried very hard. I have put all my efforts into it. “True, Amandil´s mind supplied. He had lost count of the nights he had seen candlelight filtering from his son´s rooms, even after everyone had gone to bed. “It still eludes me as much as the first day, Father. I am not slow of mind, and I have always been able to learn things if I put my mind to them, but this is different!”

“Of course you are not slow of mind. But each of us has strengths and weaknesses, and perhaps you are simply not good at languages. On the other hand, you are a better swordsman than I am, and you understand the hearts of people better than I do”, he supplied, encouragingly. “Those are very important traits for a good ruler.”

“Not here, Father.”

Again, true, Amandil thought with a chill.

To be honest, things had become a little easier for both of them since Lord Valandil was finally persuaded by the King to retire. Back then, during those months in the previous summer, Andúnië had been filled with more strife and bitterness than the hall of the Forest People´s leader in the Middle Havens, Amandil recalled. And not even Ar-Inziladûn himself -or Tar-Palantir, as he wished to be called in the Ancient Tongue- had felt strong enough to stir the hornet nest of Amandil´s accession. Instead of that, the King had summoned some ancient example about a king named Vardamir Nólimon, who was the heir of Elros and was forced to take the Sceptre, even though he had not wanted to rule. Succession was an important matter and no steps should be skipped, even if it seemed like a good idea at the time. Of course, the unvoiced part of the history lesson was that Vardamir had only held the Sceptre for a year before passing it to his son. Amandil had been giving a lot of attention to ruling matters since then.

In spite of this, however, and in spite of the fact that he was formally recognized as the heir now, Andúnië was still not a friendly place for either him or his son. The Retired Lord still held a great influence in the household, and Númendil strived to gain his approval in most matters. Even worse, the Lady Artanis had indeed become the Lady of Andúnië, and her displeasure at Amalket´s contempt for husband and family -for that was how she interpreted her continued absence- had kept growing at each passing day. As Amandil thought bitterly, the only reason which could make his aunt forsake her precious Quenya in favour of the filthy tongue of their subjects was the wish to make sure that Halideyid knew exactly what she thought of his mother.

Another beautiful soul lost to bitterness, Númendil used to say to Amandil, whenever she left the room. He never looked as sad as he did when he said this, and he always refused, in his own quiet way, to discuss her. One day, and one day only, he had gone as far as to reveal that imprisonment was not the only thing which had affected her, but he did not elaborate on it.

Amalket, meanwhile, had still not left Armenelos. Apparently, she did not have anything to say to him, though he was relieved to know that she wrote to Halideyid, at least. His son never spoke of it, but Amandil knew that, more than anything else in his life, he missed his mother´s presence. He knew because he had been in that situation, too, bereaved of parents and kin and surrounded by people who spoke strangely and bore him ill will. He felt guilty for being responsible, even a little, for Halideyid´s present plight.

All these obstacles, he thought, the irony of it back to the forefront of his mind. And still, in the end, it always comes back to the same thing.

Quenya was much more than a language, here in Andúnië. It was the ultimate symbol of everything these people lived by and believed in. Because he had mastered the language as a child, and was therefore able to remember it in a comparatively short span of time, Amandil had been legitimized in the eyes of many and forgiven, if only barely, for his turbulent past. Lord Valandil, though it was not quite his decision to make, had finally deigned to recognize him as the heir of his heir, and the King had extended him his trust and expressed his intention to recruit him for whatever political purposes he would be needed for in the future. Even his aunt was pleasant enough around him, whenever they were not talking about his wife, and instructed him about lore, scrolls, and the teachings of the Elves and the Valar.

Halideyid, however, was another matter. He was not merely the son of the wrong woman -who was not doing anything in her power to dispel that impression, though Amandil knew that he had no right to be bitter-, but he could not speak the ancient language at all. When he arrived to Andúnië, the only word he knew of it was his father´s name. Even if Amandil had not had the heart to tell him directly, it had not taken his son long to analyze the reactions to this, and he had begun studying as hard as he could. But whatever he did, it was not enough, and neither of them held any illusions about how this circumstance would be interpreted by the hard-line Faithful.

Spawn. No blood of ours.

You shall not speak this foul tongue in my house!

It was not fair, Amandil rebelled. Adûnaic was the language of Men, the language of their own subjects. They had not needed to know Quenya to bravely withstand centuries of persecution without straying from their convictions. And neither did Halideyid, to be a good man.

Halideyid. Even his name was a foul word.

“I do not know what to do. If it were possible for you to have another heir, Father, I would encourage you, but given the circumstances it would seem pointless and hypocritical. “Leave it to his son to be honest on all matters, he thought with a rueful chuckle. “And yet, there must be another solution.”

“Yes, there is.” Apart from telling them all to go to Mordor on a boat, he mumbled to himself. “We will go through everything again, together. You will address all your questions to me. You will repeat everything I say, and then you will repeat it again to me the next day as well. Every day, we will read aloud, and then we will converse.”

Halideyid´s eyes widened.

“But, Father... you are the heir of Andúnië, and a very busy man!”

“This is more important. You said it yourself, without knowing the language you cannot be my heir, much less rule.” And I have been too busy to pay attention to you for many years now. Finding a cause which allowed him to repay his son even a little for that was enough to give him a warm kind of determination, different from the grim determinations to survive and kill and lie that he had acquired in his life. “And leaning a language is always possible. Do you know I spent years trying and failing to understand the barbarians in Harad? Then - things happened, and I realized that, because I did not know the language, more people tended to end up dead. I grew so determined that I hired a barbarian to talk to me every day. I forbade him to address me in any other language. And I learned, eventually. And if you think this is difficult” he pointed at the book which now lay between them, after having been rescued and dusted , “you should try learning a language with no grammar books and no writing.”

Halideyid appeared to be considering this.

“Then -do I have to forbid you to address me in Adûnaic?” For the first time since the conversation began, there was a glint of humour in his eyes.

“Oh, and there is also another thing.” Amandil smiled briefly, then his expression sobered. “As soon as you have mastered the language, we will be changing your name.”

He had expected more surprise than a mere raised eyebrow, and a nod.

“I see.”

“You are a leader of the Faithful now, whether you want it or not. Valandil, Númendil, Amandil... can you see the pattern?” In spite of the acceptance, Amandil still felt the need to let go of a small, nervous laugh to defuse the tension. Halideyid would have been good enough, for his mother, for him. “-Dil means friend, by the way.”

“So, what is Aman?”

Ah, well. It seemed that his son truly did not mind. Probably he had even been expecting it -he was quite perceptive.

“Aman is a name given to the land of the Valar.”

“Then you have a pious name, Father.” All of a sudden, Halideyid seemed to come up with an idea. “If I am able to master the vocabulary, may I choose my own name?”

He should have said no, but somehow the expected negative could not make it past his lips. Halideyid had been his son´s name for so long, and now he was being told to toss it aside like it was something unworthy. Besides, he was an adult, reasonable man, more than capable of considering all the intrincacies and unwritten rules of tradition, and of not stepping on toes.

“As long as there is a “-dil” in it, why not?” he shrugged.

Halideyid opened his mouth, probably to protest that he would take his task more seriously than that. Right then, however, the conversation was interrupted by a hoarse voice.

“Lord Amandil.”

As they turned towards its source, they saw the courier step in.

“Two letters for you, my lord, from Armenelos”, the man announced, presenting the sealed scrolls to Amandil. Just like every other time he heard those particular words, his heart started beating swiftly. It did not matter that it always turned out to be something else, the hopes were as strong as the first day.

He opened the top scroll, not even able to mumble a dismissal to the courier as he departed.

Amalket in Armenelos greets the lord Amandil in Andúnië...” he read aloud, before the words died in his mouth with a gasp. It was her. It was her, and the letter was addressed to him. “I wish to inquire as to the availability of the escort which you promised to send to Armenelos, once that my obligations towards my family allowed me to leave the capital. She...she is coming, Halideyid! She is coming at last!”

“Father.”

“Do you wish to go with the escort? I told her that you probably would.” He could not contain his excitement. For a moment, he did not even care for the coldness of her formal language, for the problems that would arise with his family in the months to come. She was coming to him. They were going to live together, for the first time since that hurried wedding all these years ago. Elation filled his chest.

“Father.”

“What is it?” Why did Halideyid not sound pleased? Was this not what he had wished, too?

“The other letter. The seal...”

Amandil could not care less for the other letter at that moment, but he spared a brief look to see what was the matter. He froze.

His heart missed a beat.

“The King.” He bit back a curse, tearing the seal off in a way that did not become a royal missive. The message was even shorter than the one from his wife, but it had been written in the colourful ink of official letters, and every word rendered in both the alphabetic script used in Númenor and the elegant, spidery scrawl of the Elves.

“Tar-Palantir, Favourite of the Powers, Protector and guardian of Númenor and its colonies, in Armenelos, greets the lord Amandil in Andúnië.” The new royal address sounded more natural in Quenya, somehow. “You are required to travel to Armenelos at the shortest possible notice and present yourself at the Palace. The Andúnië mansion has been prepared to accommodate you at the expense of the Sceptre.”

For a very long time, Amandil could do nothing to stare, at the paper, at the signature, at Halideyid as he gently pried it away from his fingers. His son looked dismayed, taking all the implications, but determined at the same time.

“It will be only for a while. We will manage.”

A while. Amandil started laughing. Suddenly, it seemed very funny. A while, yes. Forty-two years, and then a while. Who cares? It is merely a while.

“Go and ready an escort for the trip. You can use it afterwards to take your mother back from Armenelos. It was so considerate of the King to take that into account!” This thought was also funny, and soon he was laughing so hard that his chest could have exploded from the strain. “Up the road, down the road. Do you think we will be able to have dinner together? How short do you think the shortest possible notice is?”

“Father, you should rest.” Halideyid sounded alarmed now. He laid a hand on his shoulder, obviously intending to manoeuvre him back to his quarters, where nobody else could see him act so disgracefully.

Amandil refused the help.

“I am fine. Do not worry, Halideyid. “He smiled brightly. “It will only be a while.”

The last thing he could see, as he left the courtyard among guffaws, was Halideyid staring at his retreating form in dismay.

 

Many Meetings

Read Many Meetings

If Amandil sometimes forgot, after all those years, that he was not like the politicians who plotted, intrigued, opposed and complained around him in Armenelos, he was forcefully reminded by the shudder that constricted his chest the moment he crossed the polished obsidian threshold of the Audience Chamber. Around him, everybody was chattering away, whispering at their aides, sometimes laughing in a courtly, non-discordant manner that Amandil had not heard anywhere but here, but nobody seemed affected by the feeling of nausea and helplessness which took hold of him. It was an alien feeling, not belonging to the fearless warrior or to the important lord he had become, but to a child who had lived long ago.

“Lord Amandil”, a voice addressed him. It was Zakarbal of Forrostar, and he immediately banished his brief moment of introspection to the deepest recess of his mind.

“Yes, my lord, you were saying?” he inquired smoothly. The Northern lord was the leader of the Council faction that Amandil was meant to join: the landholders and courtiers who supported the King and all his shocking new policies. After the Princess of the West was designated heir without the Council´s approval, Tar-Palantir had decided that his new priority was to give the Western lords back their seat in the powerful advisory body, and that this could be best achieved by having him replace one of the old courtiers. This had caused a long and bitter political war around Amandil, in which he could not even participate to defend himself. Everything about his life had been dragged through the mud: his lowly wife, his obscure son -fortunately both safe in Andúnië by then-, his failed priesthoods, the treasons committed by his family before he was born, and even his actions in Middle-earth down to the most insignificant skirmishes he had commanded. And then, it got even uglier.

To Amandil, the worst of all had been initiated by the King himself. Pharazôn´s father, the Prince Gimilkhâd, had been the most vicious of his critics, and to silence him, the King´s faction had brought up how Amandil had saved Pharazôn´s life back in Middle-earth. Of course, the deed had been conveniently taken out of context, their friendship omitted, and Pharazôn´s own actions forgotten or distorted. That, after all, was the way of all things here.

And now he was one of them.

“I am aware it can be distracting, the first time,” Zakarbal was telling him in a sympathetic voice. “However, remember that you belong to a noble lineage, whose birthright is to sit here since the earliest days of Númenor. It is them, who should not be here.”

The lord of Andúnië is the one who should be here, Amandil thought, uselessly. Of course the lord of Andúnië could not be here: first, because as he was technically their subject, the Cave would not let him, and that battle would be even longer and more bitter than anything he had seen so far. And second, because his father was not made to endure this. To even think of Númendil in the middle of this perverse travesty of a war made him feel fiercely protective.

“Just remember to keep your head high, speak proudly in the language of your birth” -last year, the King had introduced the possibility of using any of the tongues spoken in Númenor to discuss affairs in the council-”, and do not bow or stand for any priest of a false god. You may not think so now, but even though you have spent most of your life in obscurity and hardship, even though you have to degrade yourself even now and sit with the courtiers, you are a guide and a symbol for many people. Your family were leaders of the Faithful even while my own was kneeling before the burning altars to seek advancement.”

Zakarbal´s family had worshipped the King of Armenelos even before the War of Alissha, Amandil thought, but of course he refrained from pointing it out. That was the way of all things here. And after all, who was Hannimelkor to tell anyone they should not kneel before a burning altar?

Maybe to other people, those who did not know his thoughts, he would appear self-righteous and opportunist as well. Probably, Pharazôn was thinking it right now.

“Ah, the doors of the Council chamber are open at last. Come, let me show you where you should sit.”

Numbly, Amandil followed Zakarbal past the colourful throng of Merchant Princes, who gazed at him with genuine hatred. The Prince Gimilkhâd -who looked nothing like his son- made a disparaging remark and the others chuckled.

“Do not listen to them.”

“Of course not.” Stop patronizing me.

He was to sit to the middle of the semicircle, a little towards the left side, which was a good vantage point even though not as honourable as sitting first to the right with the landholders. Still, the courtiers had been admitted before the merchants, so those were even further towards the left than he was. How strangely funny, that the people who had tried to kill him years ago should now be only two chairs away from him.

Lord Zakarbal repeated his list of instructions all over again, before reluctantly leaving him to his devices and going back to his own seat. Amandil nodded with a smile, his teeth clenching underneath. When the other two courtiers reached his side, he greeted them politely, watching their fawning bows as if from a world away. The High Priest of the Cave did not even look at him as he walked past.

Finally, everyone made it to their own seat, and the noises began to subside. Only one of the chairs remained empty, and, for a moment, Amandil caught himself wondering who could be so late to a Council session. Just as he was using invisible fingers to tick off the titles of everyone who had the right to a seat in the highest political body of the Númenórean kingdom, the silence in the room suddenly became heavy as a wall, startling him away from his thoughts. People began to rise, and he started doing the same, believing that the King had arrived to begin the session -until he caught sight of Zakarbal sitting on his chair, and fell back at once.

Do not bow or stand for any priest of a false god. He had been told that at least thrice.

The High Priest of Melkor walked past the row of merchants, courtiers and governors, accepting the homage of the believers and the insult of non-believers with the same regal indifference. As he and his attendant passed Amandil, their eyes met for an instant.

It was Yehimelkor.

The even footsteps paused and died momentarily next to his position. Suddenly, the voice he remembered from endless days of study, nights of prayer, exasperated scoldings and you are but a child, you do not know what life is, you do not know what death is. If you let them kill you now, your still imperfect and unfulfilled soul will find little mercy with the Creator, made itself heard above his head.

“Gratitude is such a hard thing to find nowadays”, the new High Priest remarked to his attendant. Amandil´s pallor must have been substituted by a purple blush, because he could feel his cheeks burning. He refused to look up until the footsteps resumed; the interval felt to him as if seconds had stretched into years.

When he raised his head, he could see Lord Zakarbal frowning in disapproval.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The King did not enter the room with any similar dignity; he rather swept over them like a bird, rushing to his seat and beginning the session immediately. Amandil was so shaken by his previous encounter that he failed to follow the first minutes of conversation, including Tar-Palantir´s formal address and Zakarbal´s reply in painful Low-Elvish. It was only when he caught his own name that he forced himself to pay attention, and regain his bearings before the enemies of his family could see his weakness.

“... as part of this Council”, the King was saying, piercing gaze fixed on him. Amandil nodded, guessing he had just been introduced. As if they did not know who I am, he thought, easily reading the different layers of hatred and suspicion in each pair of eyes around him. Still, the only pair of eyes he cared about right now, the hard grey ones of the man seated at the other side of the room, were the only ones that did not look at him.

A great disaster is in store for you if our paths ever cross again.

The priest had said it back then, on that fateful night: their ties were broken, and henceforth they would not have anything to do with each other. He had even sealed it with a prophecy of doom, of those that the descendants of Elros sometimes made, and were true.

And yet, there he was. There they both were.

“I will endeavour to prove worthy of the trust you have laid on me, my lord King”, Amandil replied in flawless Quenya. The interpreters, who had invaded the Council after the King´s new decree, fumbled helplessly with the translation, giving Amandil a kind of fierce vindication. Even the most enthusiastic supporters of the old ways were unable to go beyond Low Elvish, or Sindarin, and still they used that tongue to shame those who only spoke the Adûnaic language of Númenor. Amandil was not sorry to do the same to them, and from what little emotion he could discern in the King´s glance, he was expected to.

Among the councilmen, Yehimelkor alone had not called for the translator. Of course, Amandil remembered -back when he was a child, the Revered Father had learned Quenya from him. The whole idea felt so strange, when dragged to the surface sixty years later, that it had no place among his current thoughts. Focus. He needed focus.

“I wish to know if his family is going to remain under the authority of the Cave now that they have a representative in this Council”, the high priest of the Cave spoke bluntly. Tar-Palantir shook his head.

“We are not here to discuss Lord Amandil. He sits among the courtiers and does not speak for his family, as you very well know from our previous discussions of the matter. “It was not Quenya, probably because the King could not afford to be misunderstood, but it still felt almost as sharp. “The subjects of this meeting are two: the situation at the Middle Havens and the refoundation of the colony of Pelargir.”

“With all due respect, we find that idea unacceptable.” Gimilkhâd wasted no time before standing up, and though he did not clarify the term “we”, from the looks in the faces of the so-called Merchant Princes it was obvious who he meant. “Nobody knows the situation in the Bay of Gadir better than our esteemed friends here, and they do not consider re-founding Pelargir to be anything but a mistake which will hurt the interests of Númenor.”

And their own, the phrase went unfinished. Amandil had never been down there, but from what little information Pharazôn had sometimes let slip past the stone wall of his supreme disinterest in petty politics, he knew enough to discern that having a new trading post so close by, a new trading post which, moreover, would be strategically placed in the very river which brought the Gadirites their merchandise from the inland tribes was going to prove detrimental to the island colony, maybe even disastrous if the people who re-founded the ancient settlement were hostile to their interests. Which of course was what the King intended.

They are our real enemies, he had told Amandil one day, years ago, after listening to a complete account of how his younger cousin had escaped the assassination plot laid for him after the late King´s demise. As long as they exist, we will not know peace.

The only problem with having them cease to exist, as it appeared, was the fact that they and their trade alliances were singlehandedly responsible for most of Númenor´s wealth. True to his pattern of seeking guidance in ancient lore, Tar-Palantir had found a solution to this problem in the accounts of the ancient prosperity of the abandoned settlement of Pelargir, which used to thrive under the protection of Amandil´s own family. But the Merchant Princes were no fools, and Magon of Gadir would be too well aware of the stakes to even consider any peaceful, civilized agreement. Before they allowed themselves to be robbed of all they had, they would risk it. And then there would be war.

That moment, however, had not arrived yet. After a sharp but short debate, Magon and his allies bowed down as obsequiously as ever, and the King adjourned the discussion to some distant later date.

The next subject was the Middle Havens.

“There has been a revolt of our Middle-earth allies, and the commander of the outpost has sent for aid in an official dispatch”, the governor of Sor, ultimate authority on military matters since the reign of Ar-Adûnakhôr, informed the rest of the Council. Amandil remembered the man well enough: neither he nor his dour mainland deputy had ever been interested in anything the Forest People wished to say, and as far as they were concerned those savages were as good as conquered. The subtleties of treaty interpretation had been left to people like Amandil himself, who had to deal with them and their complaints on a regular basis.

The last time he had seen any of the Forest People, a frightened young man had been trying to convince him that a mass slaughter of timber workers had been the work of the Northerners, a warlike people Númenóreans were bound by the treaty to protect their allies from. It had been easy to see through the ruse, though the knowledge he gained was not very comforting. It was the Orcs who had killed the Forest People, a great number of very well-organized Orcs. Amandil´s resolve to persuade his superiors to take that threat into consideration had died when he was ordered to sail for Sor at once, and, unsurprisingly, they had failed to follow his advice.

Also unsurprisingly, the Forest People had turned against them.

“It was a mistake to sign a treaty with the barbarians”, the governor of Sor concluded, darkly. Nobody seemed to have a more informed opinion on the subject, except for Yehimelkor, who expressed his belief that the true mistake was to have an outpost and soldiers in Middle-earth in the first place. Any difficulty they faced in the mainland was the result of their foolishness and ingratitude for not being content with staying in the island the gods had created for them.

Amandil thought he saw the King stare at the High Priest in surprise for a moment, but it was so quick that he could not be sure. Yehimelkor´s views were certainly not new to him, having suffered them, and transgressed against them more times than he could count, while he was under the priest´s care at the Temple.

“They be probably allied with Orcs now”, Zakarbal guessed, still in that atrocious Sindarin. “Such as Umbarians.”

“We will have to send relief troops immediately and destroy them before they grow stronger”, Shemer of Hyarnustar nodded. Amandil shook his head, astonished at how they spoke as if they knew what they were talking about, those people who had never set a foot in the entire mainland and much less in the Middle Havens.

“If I may speak”, he began. It was the first word he had said since he was introduced, and he said it in Quenya, but a rapid assessment of the situation told him that if he was not understood by all, his opinion would not register. So, to the quiet shock of his allies, he shifted to Adûnaic. “I have been a captain in the Middle Havens, and I am aware of the situation because I have dealt with it personally. The Forest People were attacked by the Orcs, and murdered in great numbers. They asked for help and did not receive any. If they revolted, that was the reason.”

The governor of Sor looked at him as if he was a cockroach that he could not squash.

“That is hardly relevant, lord Amandil. They have revolted; the reason why they did so does not matter at this point.”

“It matters because it has happened before and it will happen again!”

“Peace, both of you”, the King intervened. The governor of Sor shrugged at the translator. “The Governor is right; this has become a military matter. However, I will not overlook your expertise in this matter, lord Amandil. A private council will be convened tomorrow and you will both present me with your insights.” The look he directed towards Amandil seemed sad, and intent at the same time. “I do not wish it to happen again.”

“Very well, my lord King”, Amandil murmured dutifully, back to Quenya, and to his seat.

“This session is adjourned, then. “Tar-Palantir rose, looking up, at the heavens. “Praised be Eru the Almighty.”

The reply was discordant; some answered it in Sindarin, others in Adûnaic, and others not at all. To Amandil, this cacophony of sounds and languages seemed like a good metaphor of both this Council and Númenor itself.

“You did well. The Governor was surely not expecting to be undermined by you.”

It was Shemer of Hyarnustar who had reached his side, and was patting his shoulder amiably, as if to congratulate him for a job well done. Amandil put a great effort into smiling back at him.

“You are too kind, my lord.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You did fine, Amandil. Not only yesterday, but today as well.”

Amandil´s mouth seemed like it was going to hurt from so much smiling. His morning had been entirely occupied with a grueling session of discussing the Middle Havens situation with a man who knew little about it and yet hated him passionately. That man was going to do what he wished anyway, and nothing Amandil said now would have any bearing on his later decisions, or those of the Middle Havens commander, who had a very good excuse to ignore any orders coming from Númenor when faced with a quickly-shifting combat situation. And, at any rate, as the King himself had pointed out, once war had been declared there was little they could do except fight back. Amandil was quite certain that next time, those politicians would deal with the problem as if it was a completely different situation again, and whine that there was nothing else which could be done at that point.

Back in Middle-earth, he had hated these people, for making his life difficult, for causing so many deaths. And now, he was one of them.

Gloom over difficult decisions, however, were not grounds enough to cancel social visits, much less “family visits” of those the King was so fond of. And so it was that Amandil had to return to the Andúnië mansion, change his “formal audience” clothes for his “casual audience” ones, and return to the Palace in time for the afternoon meeting in Tar-Palantir´s private quarters.

“After all the years I have spent learning what to say and when to say it, I am not sure I have much to show for it”, he said, with not as much modesty as repressed irritation. The King shook his head with a chuckle.

“I remember when I was young, and thought as you do. It seemed like I would never learn to behave and please my father.”

“I never did”, the Queen chimed in with a bright smile. She had decided to attend the meeting that day, and for that Amandil was glad. He found her refreshingly different from the rest of the courtiers he had been forced to interact with in his last years at the Palace: a woman of hard edges and blunt words who despised the artificial moods which others affected around her, and who was always ready to trade stories with Amandil. She had seen the world in her youth as much as he had, perhaps even more, and she didn´t have the misplaced decency of pretending that she hadn´t.

Since a while ago, Amandil suspected that the King invited her for that very reason, because she could make him relax and behave like one should behave in private, even in this place. Be it as it may, he was still thankful for her presence.

“We are three of a kind, hard to tame”, she continued, in a conversational tone. “No matter how our responsibilities weigh down on us, there is still a wild spark in our hearts. Why, some days I wake up and I feel like finding a good ship to take me North, where the Sea becomes ice!” She shrugged with a sigh, the laughter in her eyes dying down a little. “If only Míriel wasn´t so frightened of water.”

Amandil nodded in sympathy, feeling a little uncomfortable. If the rumours he had heard were all true, the heir to the Sceptre´s fear of water was the least of her problems. She sees things days and night, was how Pharazôn had explained it to him, one day in a very distant land.

After the sword-bequeathing ceremony, he had seen the Princess several times, and always she had said very little in his presence. Still, her unearthly beauty alone had been enough to unsettle him, as much as it had seemed to unsettle Pharazôn the few times he had mentioned her in his presence. He could not imagine himself married to her, much less Elendil.

And yet, he was aware that whatever he thought about it, it might well happen.

As if reading his thoughts -which he probably had- the King smiled.

“How is your son doing?”

“Oh, he has made enormous progress. I am quite proud of him”, Amandil replied. More than I am of myself over this matter, he thought darkly, remembering how he had once, for the tiniest of moments, felt like he could be there for Elendil and help him with the language and his new life. That very day, he had been summoned to Armenelos, where he had spent an entire year playing courtier in the Palace, and after that he had been forced to split his time between capital and province, with six or seven-month absences which had not helped at all in his endeavour to be a proper husband and father. And Amalket...

Too little, too late, he told himself, recalling her aloof bearing, the awkward courtesy and the withdrawals during his visits to Andúnië. If he had only been there when she arrived, things might have still been different. Sometimes, when they drank a little too much wine and he caught her gazing at him uncertainly, he could not help but wonder -but she would always withdraw again.

At least they have learned fucking Quenya, he cursed to himself. And the mother before the son, proving to his dark satisfaction that whatever the Faithful might think, it had never been a matter of blood.

“Do you feel he is ready to return to Armenelos and be introduced to the Palace?”

“I think he still has much to learn. Besides, my other obligations have forced my father to rely heavily on him. I do not think he would lend him to us for anything short of a civil war”, Amandil replied. It surprised him the little effort with which the half truths passed through his lips; maybe the ways of the courtiers were finally beginning to rub on him.

“I see. Well, as we have not reached that point yet, he will have to stay with his grandfather for a while longer.” The King´s mouth was smiling, but his eyes were not. “I just hope that my old friend Númendil is aware that his grandson is destined for great things, and that he will not be able to keep him for ever.”

“If you wish to rule a land, you must first learn to rule a house.” Amandil recited. “Or something like that.”

“I had never heard that saying before, but it is applicable”, the King nodded graciously. “So, Zarhil... what was that barbarian food which you wanted us to taste?”

Recognizing the change of subject for what it was -the friendly equivalent of the adjournment of all Pelargir discussions with Magon the previous day -, Amandil plastered a smile upon his features again, and rose to follow the Queen towards the porch.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

That night, Lord Amandil of Andúnië received a very inappropriately worded message.

I have been up to my knees in blood and shit in Umbar for the last years. I need some Númenórean wine, and I need it now. I hear you had been made a Councilman, but whatever important thing you need to do for tomorrow, it can wait until I leave Armenelos for the next seven years. Pharazôn.

His friend had never been a person to write proper letters, stand on ceremony, or even give him the common courtesy of a warning before springing on him after “coming all the way” from some wretched hole a world apart. Usually, however, Amandil had heard of his arrival from other channels, for the prince was a very public person. His “arrivals” were more like triumphal processions with crowds, or at least dignitaries, coming from distant places to gaze upon his glorious countenance. This time, though Amandil was a politician himself, a member of the highest advisory body of the realm and a kinsman to the King, he had not even been aware that Pharazôn had landed in Númenor.

Even more shocking than that, was the fact that Pharazôn wanted to see him. Had nobody told him, or written to inform him that Amandil officially belonged to the opposite faction now? Had he been too “up to his knees in blood and shit” to keep track of what happened in Númenor while he was away? What would Gimilkhâd think of his son visiting him?

What would Amandil´s family think?

In spite of those misgivings, he scribbled a response so fast that he almost felt ashamed at his loss of dignity. He would have wanted to invite his friend to his house, but of course it would be highly inconvenient for the Prince of the South’s son to be seen in the Western lord´s heir´s residence. After thinking for a moment, he proposed one of the taverns they had frequented in their youth. If they wore cloaks and hoods, hopefully they would not be recognized.

Pharazôn, however, did not seem to be thinking in the same terms. He appeared without a hood, his face painfully recognizable for anyone who looked in his direction, and greeted him from the opposite end of the establishment.

“Hannishtart! Or, I should say, Amandil! I am so glad to see you!”

Darkly, Amandil wondered if his friend had somehow been put up to this, to try to discredit him in some way. Almost as soon as he had that thought, he had to remind himself that Pharazôn stood to lose as much as he did with his own people, if they were recognized. Such considerations had never discouraged him before.

As his mouth broke into a wide smile and they embraced, Amandil was angry at himself for ever thinking that this would change after all those years.

“It has been such a long time”, he said in a low voice, tugging at the younger man´s arm until he managed to push him out of the establishment. The night was cool and quiet, and more inviting than the ruckus inside, the smell of sweat and the eyes uncomfortably set on them.

“Where are we going?” Pharazôn asked, confused.

“To the temple villa”, Amandil replied. It was there that they had first met, so many years ago, practiced swordsmanship, and said goodbye before one of their longest separations. “We can buy the wine on the way.”

“Afraid to be seen with me?” Pharazôn snorted. Amandil´s heart constricted a little.

“Afraid to be seen.” He took a deep breath. “What the...- Pharazôn, what are you doing here? I had no idea...!”

“Nobody does. For now. I am sure tomorrow people will report seeing me in that tavern, and the King will demand to know why I came.”

“And why did you?” After years of training and moving around the unsteady field of faction wars, this kind of impulsive, selfish action could not even enter Amandil´s mind anymore. To behave like a particular, like a soldier, who had no other people or interests depending on him... “Did your father request your presence?”

“No. He was as shocked as you were when he saw me. I suppose he is afraid I will get him in trouble, just as you are.” He grinned. “No, that was not the reason. I wanted to see Númenor after so many years, and I missed someone.”

“Who? Me?” Amandil was half-joking, but the suddenly serious look in his friend´s eye gave him a little pause. Then, as soon as it had come, the look left, and Pharazôn laughed.

“Oh, no, no. I mean missed-missed, if you see what I mean.”

Ah. One of his lovers. Did he still remember her after seven years? Now, that was unheard-of.

“I did not know that you were in love. Still, it is shocking that you would just abandon your post and sail all the way here merely to...”

“Does it matter?” Pharazôn had already been drinking before Amandil showed up; he could smell the alcohol in his breath. “Anyone can fight barbarians in my absence. If all, I abandoned my post here by going to Middle-earth in the first place. I am my father´s heir, and still I was down there fighting wild tribes while the Princess of the West was made the heir to the Sceptre against the will of the late King.” He shrugged. “Or so my father said to me in one of his angry letters, and he has a point.”

“I am sorry.” The words came automatically to Amandil´s lips, even though the appointment of Míriel was a great victory for his faction, and he could well become her father-in-law one day. He remembered Pharazôn´s concerns years ago, how he had stolen the sacred leaf in Umbar and tried to stir awake the visions which would make him a proper heir of his line. His friend had always been certain that he would be King one day, ever since he was a child and told Amandil of his plans to defeat the dark armies of Mordor.

But Pharazôn shook his head.

“There is nothing to be done about it. The Princess of the West will be Queen, and I wish her well.”

For a while after this statement, there was nothing but silence between them. Pharazôn bought the wine in a tiny shop, and they climbed the wall of the old villa unseen.

“Just like in the old times”, Amandil chuckled, in an attempt to lighten the mood. Another of the courtiers´s ploys, which had not been necessary between them before.

Pharazôn ignored him, continuing the previous conversation as if there had been no interruption.

“My father wishes me to be in Númenor and oppose the King. The King wishes me to be in Middle-earth, as far away as possible.”

“And what do you want? Where do you want to be?” Maybe he is trying to decide this even now, Amandil thought as he took a swig of the wine, the way he used to do it when he was in the army.

“There is nothing I can do if I stay here, except get into trouble.” Pharazôn´s voice sounded firmer. “In the mainland, at least, I can be free, and do something for myself. Maybe gain enough glory to ensure that those slimy courtiers and fake warriors of Númenor will not be able to ignore me.”

Amandil had to ask then.

“So, what am I? Slimy courtier, or false warrior?”

Pharazôn grabbed the clay bottle and stared at him, long and hard.

“Less slimy than my cousin Magon and less false than your friend Zakarbal.”

The warmth that pooled inside Amandil´s chest at that moment was not entirely caused by the wine he had drunk.

“He is not my friend. He is my ally.”

“I am glad to hear that. How is your son?”

“As fine as anyone could possibly be, in his circumstances.” There he was, Amandil thought, being more honest than he had been in years, with a man who was meant to be his enemy. “He is in Andúnië with my father, learning the language and the customs of my people with great difficulty. All those years of study, and for some of them he is still unworthy of being my son, much less a future leader of the Faithful.”

“Ha! Just like you, when you were in Armenelos as a young man. You always complained that you did your best, and yet they would not accept you.”

Amandil swallowed.

“Precisely.”

“Do not pity him too much. He always had more spine than you did.”

“You only met him once!”

“I had spies on him since he was born.”

Amandil did not know whether to laugh or cry, so he took another swig of the bottle instead.

“This does not seem real.”

“What does not seem real?”

“This.... us, meeting after so long and talking as if nothing had happened, here in this place where we have not sat for decades... all while you and I are supposed to be enemies, and the King accused your father in front of the Council of being ungrateful because I had saved your life in Umbar.” He was babbling. “My family also supported your cousin´s appointment.”

“I do not care about my cousin´s appointment. I said it, and I mean it.” For some reason, that Amandil was incapable of comprehending, it appeared that Pharazôn did mean it. “And, as for that business with the Council, I would blame my father first. If I was not supposed to support him as well, that is. So, you see -we have the same problem.”

Amandil was not sure that their situations could be considered the same, but he guiltily accepted the gift horse without looking at its teeth. As long as it allowed him to keep this friendship, he would not argue.

“There is going to be war soon, in the Middle Havens. The idiot commander did not listen to me and refused to help the Forest People with their Orc problem, and now he has found himself with a large-scale rebellion in his hands. Maybe they have even gone ahead and allied themselves with the Orcs, since at least those allies are happy enough to slaughter us without splitting hairs over fine points.”

Pharazôn grimaced, whether at the bitterness of the wine or at the stupidity of the commander of the Middle Havens, Amandil could not tell.

“I see.”

“Do you think they could send you there? It is the first all-out war Númenor has had in years.”

“Bullshit. There is war all the time. They just don´t call it by its proper name. No”, Pharazôn shook his head. “I believe the King will prefer to have me deal with “skirmishes” and “raids” for as long as he can. This way, he can have the people in Númenor believe that I am biding my time bedding women and engaging in degenerate pleasures.” His lips curved in a smile. “Out of the way, out of mind. But, of course, that works both ways.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that you should drink as much as I am drinking or it will not be fair.” Pharazôn handed him the bottle, deflecting the question. “Come on, Hannishtart. Amandil. Whatever. Who knows when we will see each other again.”

Amandil looked down, taking the drink and downing it without even thinking of what he was doing.

“Will you be going back soon?”

“We will not be able to meet before I leave, if that is why you are asking.”

“I..” Amandil took a very long breath. “Do not be an impulsive idiot.”

“What do you think I am, forty? I outgrew that long ago.” Pharazôn laughed. “Or maybe not. I came here, after all.”

Amandil never knew what impelled him to utter what he said next.

“You must survive this. Please. Just as I survived the reign of Ar-Gimilzôr, you must survive the reign of Tar-Palantir.”

Pharazôn stared at him in a strange way for a while, even forgetting to grab the wine back. When he finally did, all flippancy had left his countenance, and the effect was as raw as Amandil had ever seen him look before.

“I will”, he promised, quietly. “Of course I will.”

Eruhantalë

Read Eruhantalë

“Halt.”

The order passed unnoticed at first, drowned by whistling gusts of North wind as they made their laborious way up the mountain. Then, ripples of it began to echo down the column, and horses were reined in, footsteps froze, and tongues started to murmur.

The path, hewn in the white stone by the ancient hands of unknown craftsmen, stretched farther from what any of their eyes could see. A few feet away from the tenuous foothold of men and beasts, a mist blurred the edges of their vision, forcing them to walk carefully lest they fell in one of the many turns of the narrow and winding road. That fall, the longest in all of Númenor, would end deadly and abruptly in the ragged rocks of a solitary ravine.

Even a dangerous road, however, was better than no road at all, which is why nobles, courtiers and priests watched with apprehension as the King dismounted from his white horse, and checked surreptitiously on each other before they followed his example.

“We are not there yet, are we?” Hiram, the heir to the lordship of Forrostar, whispered to the new Palace Priest, his brother-in-law, who still held to his own horse, staring dubiously at a horizon that neither of them could see.

“This fog must have misled us”, he shrugged. Next to them, a fiery red palanquin had also come to a halt, and a single hand in a long sleeve of golden finery was emerging from it. The Prince Pharazôn almost bumped into them in his haste to hold it.

“How rude!” the Palace Priest muttered, though not loud enough for the Prince to be able to hear his words above the noise made by the wind. “No wonder he prefers the company of barbarians to Númenörean civilization.”

“Speaking of which”, Hiram frowned, thoughtfully, “what is he doing here? I thought he was in the Middle Havens.”

Both turned to watch, as the Prince helped the Princess of the South to her feet and held her by the waist. Like so many other ladies of the court since the King started -or, according to him, “reinstated”- this ridiculous custom, she was not used to walking on a roughly hewn, irregular surface, and needed support. To the front of the column, the heir to the Sceptre, too, was being coaxed out of her palanquin by the Queen. Considering that she was supposed to head the procession one day, Hiram thought, it might have been more to her advantage to act like her mother, his kinswoman by adoption, who rode with the other men and was not afraid of slopes. However, this was something that he did not even consider putting into words. One simply did not question the suitability of the Princess Míriel as the next Queen of Númenor.

As the Princess of the South and her son slowly made their way past them, towards the head of the column, the nobleman and the courtier saw Lord Amandil of Andúnië give a discreet- but not enough- shove to his remarkably tall son, Lord Elendil, in the direction of the Princess of the West. Lord Elendil offered her his arm almost gingerly, as if bracing himself for something. The Princess took it, letting go of her mother.

“Let us leave everything behind, and enter the holy place”, the King spoke, turning his back to them, and disappearing through the mist.

Slowly, far more slowly than they had before, the rest of the column began following him.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The huge clearing on the mountaintop, where the sacred ceremonies took place thrice a year, was totally covered in snow. The month before every ascension, the King dispatched workers to make sure that the way was unobstructed, and in that part of the year, this meant clearing away all the snow. That particular place, however, was considered to be so sacred that no one could step on it outside of the ceremony, and changing the landscape even in the tiniest of ways would be sacrilegious. To compound the misery of the dignitaries of Númenor, horses, palanquins or any other means of transport were forbidden, so soon their feet were dripping wet and freezing. And still, no discomfort was worse than the silence.

Númenoreans were not made for silence, Hiram could not help but think while they walked across the plain, leaving deep trails wherever they passed. They loved to sing in feasts, to chant litanies in religious ceremonies, and to talk at all times. As far as he was concerned, the sound of voices was the mark of civilization, and silence a source of uneasiness, whether at night, when evil shadows hid in the dark, or in the desert plains of Forrostar, where his adoptive father took him regularly to acquaint him with the land he would one day rule. There, he often felt at a loss among mountain goats and taciturn shepherds, and wished he was back in the city with his friends and retainers. Compared to this place, however, even the Northern lands felt welcoming.

The whistle of the wind, which had become more and more like a howl as they progressed, began fading away as they gathered in a circle. There was no landmark, either natural or man-made, showing them where they had to stand, and yet the King always seemed to know where the center was, and everyone stood around him. As they all stopped in their tracks, their eyes fixed on his countenance, the silence was absolute, oppressive, almost like a physical presence crushing their skulls against the solid surface of the earth which they had tried to defy with their long climb.

And then the King spoke, and the silence died. Ancient words, in a language understood by none but a few of those who stood there, came from his mouth in a litany. He did not shout, but it carried like thunder in the absence of sound. Hiram felt a superstitious dread take hold of him, which even the goriest sacrifices in the temple of Melkor had failed to awaken.

Then, slowly, the crowd dispersed, carefully retracing their footsteps across the snow. The moment they reached the stone road, and the first whispers began to arise among them, Hiram let go of a long, deep breath of relief.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The ascent to the Meneltarma was the most important of all the solemnities that marked the start of winter in the new King´s reign. After Tar-Palantir reached the foot of the mountain at the head of his followers, the procession continued through the streets of Armenelos, bustling with large crowds of people who were eager to catch a glimpse of King and Court. Disgruntled, cold, and their robes wet with melting snow, however, most of that court was only too happy to ride past the gates of the Palace, where they were to congregate in the Outer Courtyard for one last ceremony before the feast.

It had been another of the King´s erudite eccentricities to decree that the old White Tree, which had stood there, according to him, as a symbol of Númenor for millennia, had to be honoured at every important occasion. As a part of the winter festival, its boughs were decorated with garlands of purest silver, giving it a more otherworldy look than ever. After the customary song and prayer, Tar-Palantir and the Queen drank wine from their ivory cups, and the feast began. Seven bonfires had been lit across the courtyard; seventy times as many, at least, would warm the common people in the streets, squares and gardens of the ancient city beyond the walls.

“Amandil!” Pharazôn called, while attempting to negotiate a path across a small throng of courtiers. “Have a cup of wine!”

“Later”, the heir of Andúnië refused, shaking his head wistfully. “The King wishes to see you. My lady”, he added, with a courteous bow towards the Princess of the South, whose mouth curved in a smile of acknowledgement before she followed after her son.

“Happy Eruhantalë, my lord King”, she spoke first, as they both bowed in his presence. Tar-Palantir had been deep in conversation with Lord Zakarbal and the Queen, but as soon as he noticed their approach, he turned to face them.

“Happy Eruhantalë, Lady Melkyelid”, he replied. His gaze, however, was on Pharazôn. “I was very surprised this morning, when I found that my nephew was among us. Did you arrive last night?”

“Yes, my lord King. And quite late, at that. I barely had time to fall in bed and I was already being waken up for Eruhantalë”. The Prince picked a cup from a servant and drank from it, carefully ignoring the piercing look that narrowed the sea-grey eyes. “I figured I would pay my respects afterwards.”

“I see. If you sent notice, I am afraid to say that it did not arrive in time. We were not even expecting you.”

“I usually travel lightly.” Pharazôn was now looking inside the wine, as if trying to count the grains of cinnamon which floated there. “It is a habit I picked from war campaigns.”

“And speaking of wars”, Lord Zakarbal intervened. “I thought there was one in the Middle Havens. Or have the Forest People decided to give up arms for Eruhantalë?”

Now, Pharazôn raised his eyes. A glint of steel appeared in them as he fixed them on the Northern Lord.

“As a matter of fact, they did give them up. I have sent the last of them to Númenor by ship, as I did the others, but it is so laden with metal that it does not travel as fast as I do.”

“Do you mean to say that the campaign is over? “Lord Zakarbal arched an eyebrow. “And that, instead of informing the Sceptre and awaiting instructions, you merely... decided it was so?”

“No, that is not what I...” Pharazôn´s hold on the cup tightened in frustration. The Princess of the South laid a hand on his arm, and stepped forwards.

“Actually, lord Zakarbal, it was I who sent for him. Since things were quiet in the barbarian front, I thought it might be possible for my son to spend Eruhantalë with his mother. “She turned towards the King, covering her mouth with her hand as if in a gesture of embarrassment. “I do hope that a silly old woman´s wish will not cause trouble for him.”

Now, it was the King´s turn to smile, a polite smile that did not reach his eyes.

“Oh, please, lady Melkyelid! You are as far from being old as you are from being silly. You are as beautiful and intelligent as ever, and if you are a mother, there is nothing wrong with that. I am confident that you will be able to see your son to your heart´s content, once that this spot of trouble in the mainland is finished once and for all.”

“I am grateful for your words, my lord King”, she said, bowing gracefully. Her blue and gold winter dress rustled against the floor. “I will try not to begrudge Númenor her warriors when she has need of them.”

As she left the royal presence, her son followed her footsteps, both passing by a group of courtiers who stood aside to let them pass. Amandil watched them go until they disappeared, swallowed by the sea of people, then slowly looked away.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You have to stop being so careless.” Melkyelid´s gaze had become openly reproachful in the privacy of her rooms, where she and her son had retired to sit in silk cushions by her own fireside. A lady came with bowls of spiced tea, but she dispatched her with a wave of her hand. “They could have discovered you.”

Pharazôn scowled.

“Stop being careless? I thought you approved of my carelessness!”

“I never said it was a good thing to abandon your duties overseas whenever you felt like it, only so you could enter the Princess of the West´s bed.”

“No, you only said it was a good thing to love her. You argued that there was nothing wrong with it, back when I had made up my mind to avoid her!” he retorted angrily.

“You would not have avoided her for long. “Melkyelid sighed. “There is no one in this world who can keep you from doing what you wish and seeing whom you wish, my son.”

“Then, what is it that you truly want me to do? Leave her? Let the King marry her off to Amandil´s son and mind my own business? Wait sixty years? Elope to the mainland with her? Usurp the throne to have her? Or just ask the King for her hand in marriage?” He laughed bitterly. “You were the one who told me that I could have her and be King. Perhaps you could also tell me how.”

Melkyelid drew a long breath. Her eyes had become fixed in the flames of the hearth.

“These things are going to happen. I know they are. The Lady showed me.”

“But she did not show you how.”

“With patience.”

“Were those her exact words?”

“No. They are mine.” She frowned. “The Goddess has watched over you since you were born, and you should respect her.”

“I do!” Pharazôn was doing visible efforts to rein in his temper. “I do respect her. But I cannot see how the King could be made to approve of a marriage between me and his daughter. He hates Father, he hates me, and he believes such unions to be incestuous. As does the rest of Númenor, by the way. And how could he possibly leave his heir unmarried? He will marry her as soon as possible. He has been throwing Elendil at her for the last two years.”

The Princess of the South shook her head.

“They do not love each other.”

“As if that would matter to him!”

“There is another father involved, my son. You forget about him.”

For a moment, Pharazôn looked confused. Then, he stood up, staring at his mother incredulously.

“Amandil? Are you saying I should tell him?”

“You trust him.” Melkyelid held her son´s gaze steadily, until he looked away. “You have always trusted him.”

“This is different.” Pharazôn began to pace up and down the room, not unlike a caged beast of the mainland. “His precious son is going to marry the Princess of the West. If he could pull off from the arrangement without telling the King why, it might be different. But he can hardly go and say 'I am sorry, my lord King, your daughter the heir to the fucking Sceptre is lovely and all, but I think I have found a better match for my son.' “He smiled mirthlessly. “No, all he will know is that his son´s wife-to-be is fucking... oh, sorry, Mother.”

“You can speak candidly to me. “Melkyelid frowned. “You know why.”

Obviously uncomfortable at the reminder, Pharazôn decided to shrug it off like an inconvenient garment.

“His son´s wife-to-be loves her cousin, and there is nothing he can do about it, except give me away. Give us away.”

“His son owes his life to us.”

“That does not... that was...” For a moment, the Prince hid his face behind his hands to smother a groan. Then, he rubbed his eyes and stood still, searching for his mother´s glance again. “Amandil cannot prevent this any more than I can.”

“Well, then it might be time.” She joined her hands under her chin elegantly. “For you to be discovered.”

What?

“You will be discovered at some point, as you were discovered by Ar-Gimilzôr before he died. The gods have ways to make their will known and respected by mortals.”, Melkyelid continued, ignoring the effect of her words. “So why not now?”

“Because... because...” There seemed to be no words to convey Pharazôn´s horror at the enormity she had proposed. As he had in a distant and almost forgotten time, he did not look at her as the person who had the right answers for his troubles, but rather as he would a madwoman. A madwoman who had to be avoided. “Mother, you were right earlier. I- I have been careless. It will not happen again. “He swallowed, as if steeling himself to make a decision. “Tomorrow, I will ride back to Sor.”

For the first time since the start of the conversation, the Princess of the South lowered her own gaze. Her eyes became fixed on her lap, and there was something akin to sad resignation in them that made her look defeated, and older than Pharazôn had ever seen her.

She had been ninety-three this Spring. And she was a daughter of a lesser lineage.

After he left her chambers, Melkyelid picked up a handful of powdered incense and threw it to the flames. As she watched them twist and contort before her eyes, a single tear rolled down her cheek, and she quietly shook her head.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Are you going to leave without telling me?”

The pallid glow of the moon was falling on her face, lighting her features, but it was not reflected in those bottomless eyes. They were fixed on his, with a dark emotion that felt different from the contented afterglow of their hidden encounters. It was brimming with the threat of a storm.

“What?” he mumbled, feigning surprise.

He should have known better.

“You have made a decision. We have spent the night together, and tomorrow, you are leaving for Sor. If you wanted to tell me what your decision is, you would have done so already. But you haven´t”, she explained, solemnly. “You are trying to hide it from me.”

“I am not hiding anything from you”, he protested, wiping his forehead and smiling in what he believed was a winning manner. “I know that is not possible.”

The Princess frowned.

“No, it is not. You should know by now.” She cut him before he could open his mouth. “You do not wish to come back. You will stay in Middle-earth because you are afraid that my father will discover you.”

“I am not afraid.” Pharazôn protested. “I just...we have never thought things through, but this is not going anywhere, and...”

“And I will have to marry Elendil” she spat, her fury growing with each word.  “I will have to marry Elendil and have his children, and you will do nothing to prevent it because you are a coward. You will stay in the mainland hiding behind your insignificant duties among your insignificant men. And when my father dies, I will be the Queen of Númenor, and you will be an exile because if I find you, I will kill you!”

“What do you want me to do, then?” For a moment, Pharazôn had the feeling that he was back in his mother´s chambers, arguing with her, and his frustration grew. Why was it that all these women were so sure that they could see the future and yet remained blind to what was right in front of them? He remembered Amandil´s words in a distant land about visions being an obstacle, rather than an advantage for a ruler, and thought that his friend had been absolutely right on this. “Maybe I could ask the King for your hand tomorrow. I can say I am older than Elendil, and more experienced. Better looking, too. As for my lineage, it is not bad, considering I am your first cousin. Oh, wait.”

Zimraphel did not laugh.

“Do it”, she challenged. “Do it, and stop being a coward.”

“You want me to come here and see you, and yet you are trying to make sure I will not be able to set a foot in Númenor ever again.” He kicked the covers away, suddenly finding them too oppressive. “Maybe it is you, who wishes to get rid of me. So you can be with Elendil.”

“Then prevent it. Kill him.”

A shiver, which had nothing to do with the chill of the winter air in his naked body, crossed Pharazôn´s spine.

“You are out of your mind.”

He had carefully avoided saying this for years, even though he had sometimes thought it, but this time, he was not sorry.  Nor was he as sorry as he would have been, in other circumstances, of what he did next.

“I am leaving”, he announced, jumping to his feet to begin foraging for his clothes. She sat on the bed, her right hand trailing down her naked breast, white as the purest ivory. But he did not look.

“Coward” she spat.

Pharazôn ignored her.

“I will marry Elendil.”

He crawled under the bed to pick his left shoe, mumbling a curse as his forehead collided with the bedstead.

“I will tell the King everything tomorrow.”

“You cannot prove it.”

“Maybe I can. Maybe I am with child.”

Ignore her. He had to ignore her. She was hurt. She was lashing out at him, but in a while, she would calm down. She always did.

She was not with child.

“I love you.”

His resolve almost crumbled . That voice, that look... he couldn´t. Oh, how he wished he could.

He loved her, too.

As he hurried down the stairs towards the Western courtyard, minutes later, he could not help but wonder, with dawning horror and disgust, if she was right to consider him a coward.

 

Hopes and Dreams

Read Hopes and Dreams

“You seem upset, my lady.”

In the garden behind them, the fountains gurgled drops of water in a regular routine that never stopped, as the liquid overflowed from the basin only to return to it through a different channel every time. The sea behind her grey eyes, however, was anything but tame and regulated; it seemed about to rise at any moment and drown him in its depths.

“What is seem?” she asked. Her lips briefly curved in a superior sneer. “One is either upset or not. If you wish to succeed at court, you should know the difference between appearances and reality.”

Elendil inhaled. Of all the things he had needed to learn, of all the things he had been required to do which seemed to exceed his natural ability so much that he longed to escape this world and go back to teaching children after hours, this was definitely the worst of all.

“I am not as far-sighted as you are, Princess. All I can do is guess, and be concerned.”

He had never even felt comfortable around women. They all mocked him, some for his origins, most for his ungainly height. Compared to her, however, they were easy to please. Have some money, find an important father, smile to them... and then, they smiled back.                                                

Míriel never smiled back. Never, ever, since that first time they had met.

“I have heard much about your beauty, Princess”. He had recited the words he had learned by heart, feeling so glad that he had done so, as he was sure they would have deserted his mind here, facing her. “No lies were spoken.”

She did not acknowledge his compliment, and suddenly he could not figure out why she should. Her beauty was not of the sort that could be enhanced, encouraged by the compliments of men. She was like the moon, he realized, in an unusual fit of lyricism. One could write poems to the moon, sing her songs, gaze at her in admiration, but the moon would not shine any brighter, or pause in her cycles.

As he was wondering where had those thoughts come from, however, she stared back at him, and the moon mask cracked slightly. Her eyes narrowed, then widened in surprise.

“Who are you?” He was the center of her attention now, and this was somehow more terrible than her indifference. “What did you do?”

“I...”

She did not let him speak.

“You do not die. I cannot see you die, and I can see everyone else. Even myself. Why is that?”

Elendil did not know what to say. He had heard that some people in the royal family, as well as in his own, had the gift of foresight, and according to his father, Princess Míriel had a particularly strong streak of it. But, as he himself had never experienced those dreams of cataclysms and catastrophes, so often mentioned by his father and grandfather, he did not know how to deal with this.

Long after that meeting, he would still wonder why he chose the worst possible answer.

“Maybe” he smiled winningly, “maybe I managed to escape.”

Her glare could have cut him in two, just like now.

“You would not understand.”

“If you could believe me when I tell you that I deeply respect your ability, and that I wish that you... that you would...” He fell silent under her quelling look. What good was it? He had laughed at her foresight the first time they had ever met. She did not forget.

Why couldn´t the King see, with his far-reaching eyes, that there was no way she would want him as her husband?

And there he was, Elendil thought ruefully, laughing at foresight again.

“Let us play chess. Perhaps that may distract your mind, tempt it to stay in the present for a while. “He pointed at the garden, hoping that he had said nothing which could be construed as a matter for offense. “The present is pleasant. There is sunlight, fountains and birdsong.”

At least, she did not look any angrier. It was something.

“If you wish.”

She was not much interested in chess, but when she managed to focus on a match she was capable of winning, and that might help improve her mood. Today, however, she did not seem to be very interested, and Elendil knew better than to let her win, because no matter how many pieces were lost by her through apparent lack of concentration, if he were to pretend he had not noticed an opening, she would always know. She practices reverse concentration, he thought, ruefully. Maybe she was playing a different game in her head, for which the prize was not victory, but an opening to become angry and rid herself of his company.

Maybe she was playing that game all the time, while he loyally tried to follow the rules of regular chess.

Water was gurgling noisily near his left ear, and he awoke from his own, momentary distraction. A puzzled feeling coursed through his mind. Had he stumbled across an important revelation while his thoughts drifted away from something else?

Was this their famed foresight? Or just the common sense of lesser men?

“Very well”, he said, cleaning the board after his last win and setting the ivory pieces in their customary rows. “Let us do something else. If you defeat me, I will leave. What do you think?”

The Princess of the West looked up, towards him, with a frown. He smiled at her, a plain smile with no fissures.

“You are mocking me”, she accused. “If you wish to leave, you may do so.”

“I do not. That is why I will try to win”, he said. “You can defeat me, but only if you put your mind into it.” If you pay attention to me.

For that, she seemed to have no immediate answer. The frown still upon her forehead, she gazed pensively at her row of white pieces for a while. Then, she spun the board round, until the black pieces were before her.

“Begin”, she hissed, with the unmistakable tone of an order.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Now, that is a hopeful sight. She has never seemed interested in playing with anyone else.”

Amandil followed the King´s gaze, and watched Elendil as he pushed a white ivory piece across the board in the Princess´s garden. From his current position, leaning on the veranda at Tar- Palantir´s side, he could not see her expression, but he could see his son´s, and he looked nothing like he imagined a man in love would look. Then again, Amandil berated himself, he could hardly have expected anything else. If the King chose to see what he wanted to see, it was his privilege.

“The game does seem engaging, my lord King”, he nodded, quelling a wave of simmering guilty thoughts, which reminded him pitilessly that it should have been him, he was the one they had wanted to sit there, instead of following his heart like a fool and ruining the lives of other people. It was too late to change that, and his son seemed willing, once again, to pay the price. “Is this why you wanted to see me?”

Tar-Palantir laughed.

“You are even more impatient than I am. No, this is not why I wanted to see you. The reason is inside, if you wish to follow me.”

Amandil had not expected this. Curious in spite of himself, he looked away from the man and the woman playing chess in the garden, and left the veranda. As he walked down the corridor, away from the sunlight, he repressed a brief shiver.

The King took them upstairs, and then through a long and narrow gallery that connected the West Wing with the chambers where he used to spend his private time, away from both courtiers and his own family. In the six years of his reign, Amandil had only been there once that he could remember.

“Wait for us outside”, Tar-Palantir ordered a minor courtier, who stood at the end of the corridor and bowed low as he saw them arrive. The door was small, and would have passed unnoticed to Amandil in this palace full of them, if the man had not slid it open in front of their noses. The King stepped forwards first, and he followed.

“What do you think, my friend?”

The heir to Andúnië had to blink several times, so his eyes could grow used to the limited amount of light that made it past the painted wooden lattice. Then, as he saw it, he blinked again, this time in an attempt to understand what he was seeing.

A large table had been set in the middle of the room, one which could have seated more than twenty people. On its surface, a small landscape had been built, with piled earth and stones representing mountains and valleys, and streams and pools of blue glass representing rivers and the Sea. In the center, encircled by two large rivers, someone had painstakingly built a magnificent miniature city, with walls of wood, streets cobbled with white pebbles, and houses of ivory with tiny, tiled roofs. While Amandil was still admiring it, the King walked towards the window and pulled the lattice open, allowing the rays of the winter sun to cast a brighter light over the whole.

“This is...!” the heir of Andúnië exclaimed, in dawning comprehension. He had only seen the place once, as most of his life in the mainland had been spent much further South, and the final part of it much further North, but it was easy enough to recognize, if only because of the maps. “The Bay of Gadir, the mouths of the Great River, and... and...”

“And our new city, yes. Or, should I say, our old city reborn”, Tar-Palantír beamed. Amandil had never seen those piercing eyes shine so much. “I had it built in miniature, to be able to see how it will look like, and it was finished today.” A shadow of longing crossed his brow. “So far, this is all I have been able to build.”

Amandil´s gaze trailed beyond the enchanting streets of the city that did not exist, towards the blue glass representing the Sea. The end of the blue plain coincided with the end of the table at a short distance from the coast, right where a larger miniature would have had to show something else. An island.

For some reason that he did not even identify until later, he found this absence ominous.

“The Council does not agree.”

Tar-Palantír´s features hardened.

“The Council cannot decide for the King.”

“Your own family...” He let the words trail away, not sure of how he could finish this particular sentence. The King seemed to notice.

“I am aware that you owe them some favours, Lord Amandil. However, this is your birthright. This city was built by your family, in the Bay that belonged to your family. “His eyes were focused on his with such an intensity that Amandil felt the almost physical need to look down. “We must reclaim it.”

Reclaim it. Amandil remembered what had happened, back when others had claimed it from them in the first place. He wondered if it was possible that things could ever happen otherwise.

“I do agree, my lord King” he conceded, carefully. “I am merely concerned that it will be difficult to reach a peaceful agreement with all the parties involved.”

“It might seem difficult, I admit it.” Tar-Palantir stared, pensively, at the same spot where Amandil had been staring before. “But it will be done. I will not back down on this, or bow to the Council on this matter. If need be, I will begin building myself.”

Oh, yes, that was going to go down well, Amandil thought. He tried to focus on his objection.

“If there should be war among Númenóreans, even a small one...” He took a deep breath. “Mordor could seize the opportunity. Right now, it is far more powerful than it ever was during the war of Alissha.”

“Mordor is one of the main reasons why we have to do this,” the King argued. “We need to erect Númenórean strongholds to prevent its expansion. True, Faithful Númenórean strongholds.”

Yes, because Pharazôn would just join hands with Sauron and attack the Faithful with him, Amandil thought, with irritation. At once, he realized that his frustration could be read in his features, and he schooled them back into a calm expression.

“Forgive me for my lack of enthusiasm, my lord King. I have been in enough wars for one lifetime, and this has made me cautious. Too cautious, maybe. “He smiled, self-deprecatingly. “This is a wonderful city, and I want to see it built. I will help in any way possible.”

Tar-Palantir mirrored his smile, though the King’s smile was the truer of the two. It was obvious to Amandil that he had already fallen in love with the city of his imagination. When Tar-Palantir fell in love with a project, there was nothing one could do, nothing except to try and follow the whirlwind as best as one could.

“You will help, Lord Amandil, later. But there is someone who will help me first. “To Amandil´s bemusement, the King went back to his familiar habit of pacing around the room. “I will be making preparations for a journey soon enough. It has been so long since I was there last.”

“Where, my lord King?” he could not help but ask. For a moment, he thought that the King had not heard.

“Where? To your own house in Andúnië, of course. “His eyes were shining again. “I wish to speak to your father, Lord Númendil. There is a service I want him to render me, and I am certain he will be happy to do it.”

“A service, my lord king?” Amandil did not wish to seem concerned or in any way unenthusiastic after their disagreement earlier, so he tried to ask this with mild interest, but his heart was racing. What was the King going to make his father do? What role could someone like Lord Númendil have in this controversial affair?

“It is a secret. For now”, Tar-Palantir replied quellingly. “Let us go and meet your son and the Princess now, before the sun sets.”

Amandil was not reassured.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

From Elendil, in Armenelos, to the Lady Amalket, in Andúnië.

Dear Mother,

Things are quiet in the capital since the end of the winter festivities. Father is busier than ever: he spends long hours in the Palace with the King, making plans about the future of the Island and the kingdom. I, on the contrary, am idler here than I was in the West. My only duties consist of paying family visits to the Palace, and getting to know the Princess of the West. She seemed a hard woman at first, but not by her own fault: loneliness and the gift of foresight weigh heavily upon her. In time, we have reached an understanding over sunny afternoons in the Palace gardens, and now we get along well.

In my spare time, I am doing my best to practise my Quenya. In Court, many people pretend to speak it, as it has become fashionable, but no one really does. They even think I am good at it! I cannot be satisfied with their praise, however, as it is our family duty to keep the language alive and not merely to boast of knowing a few words. I wish there was someone here who could help with my pronunciation, as you did. Or that you could have told me the real secret of how you managed to learn it, before I left. I am your son!

Amalket smiled tremulously, gazing at the top balcony of the grey mansion, which appeared empty and closed. As her son had very well known, however, she was there, ready to dart out and glare in disapproval if she ever heard their voices from the garden path, raised above what was proper and in the language of their birth.

“You know the real secret,” she muttered to herself now, in this very language. Sometimes, though she was aware it could seem insane, she was afraid that she was going to forget it if she did not use it, that it would begin trickling away from her mind like wine from a pierced wineskin.

“My lady?” a surprised voice asked behind her. Amalket frowned, folding the paper in her hand.

“This is a letter from my son. You should not approach me while I am reading it.”

“Oh! I am very sorry!” The young woman bowed many times, and retreated from her presence, but not completely. She went to join other two ladies, who sat on a mouldy, ancient stone bench in the white rose garden. All three were gazing at her, expectantly.

Amalket wondered if they would be able to follow if she just ran away. It was a foolish thought, she knew. Of course they would try, even picking up their long robes and running after her if it was needed, because it was their duty, as it was her duty to allow herself to be followed, be courteous to her new family, and behave like a grand lady. Things, all of them, that this people had never believed she would be able to do.

Like speaking Quenya.

It had been poignant, for her, to be asked by her strong and independent son, in a voice heavy with desperation, about the means she had used to learn the language while he was still losing his own battle for its mastery. Back then, she had first comforted him to the best of her ability, and then told him what she thought: that, deep inside, he did not really wish to learn it (oh, how he had protested this!), because it hurt him that he was not good enough as he was, and resented everyone´s belief that it should come naturally to him if he truly was his father´s son.

“Then what about you, Mother? How can you wish to learn the language more than I do?”

She shrugged, bitterly.

“Because no one thought I could.”

This had been enough for her, back then, enough to keep her going forwards, never losing her momentum. Now that she felt she had reached her destination, however, she could not help but feel that she needed more. It was like her hatred for Amandil, which she always refused to discuss even with her own son. Wishing to defeat someone or make him suffer was a short lived impulse, and life was long. Not as long as that of the great families, maybe, but too long, nonetheless.

She shook her head with a snort. Lord Númendil, of all people, had been the one to help her realize this, right after her biggest row with the Lady Artanis. It was that day when the witch had asked her if lesser women could truly conceive by a man that they hated, as this seemed to be the case with her, and Amalket had answered that Lady Artanis obviously had no idea about lesser women, conception or love, so it was a good thing that she should ask more knowledgeable people for information. What had made this whole affair especially infuriating was that she had apologized at some point, while Lady Artanis merely accepted her apology as if it was a grand sacrifice on her part, not even thinking of offering one in return. Amalket, however, was so sure that she was in the right, that she even said so to the Lord of Andúnië himself, when he came to speak with her. She liked the man, mind, or as much as one could like someone who usually pretended that things were fine so he could avoid taking sides.

She had to admit she was surprised when, instead of his usual vague lines about Lady Artanis having suffered so much during her captivity, Lord Númendil began telling her -in every detail- the sad story of the impossible love between Lady Artanis and the prince who was now the King of Númenor. How she had to watch him marry another woman, chosen by his father Ar-Gimilzôr, and father a child, knowing that she would never love another man.

“She tried to pretend that she was well, that nothing had happened to her. She still thinks she has succeeded”, he said, looking at Amalket in a deep sort of way that made her feel judged.

I am well” she replied. But she was not.

She was bloody well not. And his son was not, no matter how many cheery half-truths he wrote to her in his letters.

“You do not love that woman, and you never will. At least your father and I loved each other once”, she muttered again, glaring at Halideyid´s writing as if it was a substitute of him somehow. “Do you think that somebody is going to hand you a prize if only you pretend long enough? Your life will be much longer than mine, my son!”

“Lady Morwen.”

“I believe I told you...!” She stopped her outburst when she realized that someone else was standing right behind the young lady-in-waiting. Someone that, as ever, she did not want to see. “Lady Artanis.”

The Lord of Andúnië´s sister did not acknowledge her bow. She looked even less friendly than usual, and for a moment, Amalket wondered if she had somehow heard her talk to herself in the other language. Then, however, she noticed that she looked pale, as if she was not feeling well, or had heard some disturbing...

“Has something happened?” she asked, suddenly trying to keep her heart from beating too hard against her chest. Lady Artanis did not answer for a long while, as if she had not noticed her anxiety, or simply did not care.

“The Lord of Andúnië has just received word from his heir”, she finally said. “The King is coming to visit next summer.”

Is that all? Amalket would have wished to say, but fortunately she stopped herself before the words made it past her mouth. If Lord Númendil had been correct about his sister, and there was no reason to doubt that he had been, for Lady Artanis this visit should be the worst possible news in the world.

She almost felt sorry for her.

“Well, we will have to prepare the royal visit, then”, she nodded. “I will help you in any way I can, my lady.”

Lady Artanis did not acknowledge this, either.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Wave towered over the once proud city, ready to drown it as it had drowned it a thousand times before. Amandil tried to run, to escape the roaring waters as he had tried a thousand times before, knowing that, like every other time, he was trapped, and there was no escape.

Only that, this time, the water did not roar. A strange silence, heavy with doom and death, weighed upon the scene, and he felt more terrified than ever.

He turned back, and froze. The Wave was still towering upon him, but it was not made with water. It was made of blue glass, and instead of foam it had jagged spikes, pointing at his heart.

Númenor would not be drowned, he realized with a start. It would be pierced by a thousand shards of glass. There would not be water, but blood, flooding the streets of the city.

As he woke up, drenched in sweat, the first thing he did was to feel the mattress around him, looking for cutting edges. When he saw that there weren´t any, he slowly came back to himself.

The miniature. The King´s miniature had blue glass representing the Sea. It had obviously stayed in his mind, enough to figure even in his prophetic dream. It had already happened before: he had dreamed of a wave of blood when there had been a battle, or that time when Pharazôn had come to wake him up drenched in bull gore, from those outlandish rituals honouring the Lord of Battles.

It was because he was worried about it, he reasoned feverishly. The Powers that Be would not warn him about a political move, as ill-advised as he thought it might be, bringing the end of Númenor. If even a war with the Merchant Princes could be the end of Númenor, then the Island was beyond help.

“The Doom of Númenor will come through one of these wars in the mainland”. It was Yehimelkor, now the High Priest of Melkor, who had used to say that, and Amandil never knew if it had been a prophetic statement or merely a way to express his disapproval at his pupil´s views. That man had always been uncompromising to the point of stubbornness. He did not distinguish lesser evils from greater ones. The King was much better at that sort of thing.

It was the King, not a priest, who should be trusted on this.

Still, and though Amandil felt much better after reaching this decision, he was unable to sleep again that night.

 

Flipped

Read Flipped

“You wished to see me, my daughter?”

The secluded courtyard, a sanctuary of silence and quiet hostility since so long that she could not even recall it being otherwise, was brimming with music and laughter. Young people sat in chairs on the veranda, disposed in a semicircle around the two flute-players, who joined their instruments in a last arpeggio before gracefully bowing to her.

“Yes, Mother.” The heir to the throne smiled, a truly beautiful sight, and not only for a mother´s starved eyes. Zarhil noticed that, while everyone bowed to her, it was Míriel who mesmerized those who surrounded her, and that they unconsciously copied her movements and mannerisms. “You may leave for now.”

Both flute players stood up in unison, lifting their silk dresses above their ankles to negotiate passage across the flower garden. Slowly, among a rustle of fabrics, the others resumed their former positions, and Zarhil could take note of them in an individual way. Right beside her daughter was Elendil of Andúnië, her soon-to-be betrothed, and, as far as she was concerned, the miracle-worker who had achieved the impossible feat of extricating the Princess from her former life of gloom and loneliness. Next to him, the plump-cheeked lady in gaudily coloured robes who smiled in an ingratiating way was Kadrani, daughter of the old Palace Priest, the late Hannon, who had been her husband´s childhood tutor. She already favoured her father in her looks, Zarhil thought, perhaps a little unkindly, but, be as it may, one of Tar-Palantir’s political intrigues of the past had paved the way for her marriage to Hiram, Zarhil´s adopted nephew and heir to her brother Zakarbal, who was sitting at Míriel’s other side. Next to him was his brother by birth, Kamal, who remained the heir of Shemer of Hyarnustar, and who had edged just a little closer to the last woman in the party, the Lady Eluzîni. She was considered quite a colourful woman, first, because she was the natural daughter of Shemer’s infamous younger brother with a dancer, and second, because she seemed to attract gossip like a magnet attracted metals. If her love life was half as interesting as the courtiers seemed to think, listening to music while sitting in a garden with her cousins should be accounted as a waste of a morning, in Zarhil’s opinion. Unless she was having an affair with one of them.

In any case, the Queen could not care less about who her daughter’s friends were, as long as she had them. Her childhood and youth had been long, trying, and full of horrors that she didn´t even wish to remember.

“My father, the King, is in Andúnië now, and he plans to stay there until Erulaitalë”, Míriel said. “I wish to ask a favour from you, Mother.”

“Speak, my dear.” Zarhil was curious in spite of herself. A small thrill crossed her spine when she noticed that Elendil and Míriel had briefly held hands.

“Let me shoulder the responsibility of organizing the Erulaitalë feast, and the King´s return.”

“Organizing…the feast?”

Of all the things she had been expecting, this had not even crossed his mind for an instant.

Míriel’s eyes showed a passing shadow of her old impatience.

“Yes, organizing the feast, Mother. I am perfectly capable of it. In fact…” She shared a strangely accomplice look with Hiram, Kamal and Eluzîni, who were gazing at them from the other side. “I am the heir to the Sceptre, and I believe I should begin acting as such before the Island starts to believe I am not up to the task.”

“Oh, Míriel.” Zarhil shook her head. So this was what worried her! “You are the heir to the Sceptre, and you don´t have to ask the people of the Island if they agree or not. That is not how it works.”

“If I may be as bold as to interrupt.” Elendil bowed briefly, and sought her eyes with an earnest gaze which seemed to belong to a man fifty years his senior. Zarhil was tempted to smile, but she did not want him to mistake her sympathy for condescendence. “Queen Eärnissë, the Princess is her father’s heir in name, because she was so designated. However, since the ceremony she had barely appeared in public, and taken no part in governance. I, and both our friends here, are all heirs to landholders and councilmen, some already designated, some waiting for it, and our fathers have been anxious for us to have experience so we will be ready when the time comes. Shouldn´t the throne of Númenor be a task of greater import and scope than our own meagre domains?” Hiram’s wife nodded at every word, so intently that Zarhil was tempted to smile again. She sobered a little when she thought of the implications.

Her daughter had awoken. She had stopped thinking only of her sinister visions, locked in her self-absorbed bubble of pain, and she was beginning to realize the daunting task that her elders had seen fit to shoulder her with. For the sake of Númenor, and all of us, her husband had said, and yet Zarhil had never been entirely convinced of his wisdom in this matter.

If this is what it takes to reassure her, she thought. But, what would happen if she failed? Would her newly- regained balance be shattered, and -she shuddered- would she go back once more to her previous state? And, though Zarhil could not care less about them, would outsiders, especially the unkind, scheming kind of outsiders who fought her husband at every step of his way, use this failure as a weapon?

Elendil seemed to guess what she was thinking. He touched Míriel’s hand again.

“She is a beautiful and intelligent woman, and we support her. We are certain that she will surprise the Court.”

Míriel smiled her beautiful smile again, and this sealed the deal.

“Very well.” Zarhil took a deep breath. “You will be in charge of everything. But please, my daughter, remember that there will always be people who are ready to help you if you need it. I will be here, and so will the friends that you trust.”

“I know, Mother.” Míriel said, happily. “Do not worry.”

As she took her leave from the West Wing, her escort falling in place behind her in the gallery, Zarhil wished that she could have visions only this once, so she would be able to be sure that everything was going to turn out well.

 

*    *     *     *     *     *

 

“Are they still out there?”

Amalket did not look too pleased. She made no effort to hide the bleariness of her eyes, the ache in her legs and the shivers that shook her limbs as gusts of humid wind blew at them from the Sea. One would think that, as a former commoner, she would be more receptive to the honour of hosting a King’s visit, but so far, Tar-Palantir seemed to have thoroughly failed to impress her. He does not even look like a proper King, she had remarked once, with a shrug that reminded Amandil of old popular grievances against Gimilzôr’s heir.

“They have much to discuss”, Amandil answered prudently. He squinted in the direction of the small mallorn forest, trying to catch a glimpse of the small clearing where the King and his father sat, perhaps reminiscing about old times, perhaps discussing the future. They had been doing this for days; from dawn to dusk, Tar-Palantir would act as an official guest, partaking in banquets, trips, ceremonies and receptions, but after the sun had sunk in the bay of Andúnië, he and Lord Númendil would flee the company of people and walk together the paths of the golden trees. There they would remain for hours, left to themselves, unapproached and undisturbed, never mentioning later what had been discussed. They were probably quite content with being ignored as well, except that the King’s status made it necessary for his hosts to be awaiting his return at all times. Since Amandil was present, and his aunt Artanis had done what she was always criticising in others, keep to herself and flee her responsibilities, this ungrateful task had fallen to them.

Amalket let go of a deep, frustrated sigh.

“I am sure they do.”

“Look, the stars are very beautiful tonight, aren´t they?”

Silence greeted Amandil’s remark, and he felt a brief pang of longing. To remember what they used to do in nights like this, the reasons they would remain awake for, used to be agony; now, it was merely sad.

“I can wait alone, if you wish. Go and have a rest, you look tired.”

“Doesn´t he have to rule Númenor, or something?” she asked, ignoring him again. Still, she had spoken, though in a tone heavily laced with disapproval, so Amandil did as he had done for all those years: he ate the scraps without turning his nose at them.

“And the Colonies, yes. In fact, I think he is planning something in the Bay of Gadir right now.” Something worrying, he was about to add, but he did not wish to turn this into a conversation about his nightmares.

It was already bad enough as it was.

“With Lord Númendil? He has never been near the Bay of Gadir. He should ask you instead, you know everything there is to know about the mainland.” The old reproachful tone, again. “Maybe he could send you there, and you could take care of whatever it is. I am sure that you would not mind.”

“Of course I would not mind. Nobody minds when the King wishes to send you somewhere.” His tone, too, was beginning to show some of the old strain. “You bow and you go, and that is that.”

If they had been sparring, this would have been the moment where she parried his blow with the supreme disdainfulness of her look.

“You bow, you go, you fight a few wars, burn some villages, and come back after twenty years.”

“Funny that you should mention war. “Amandil retorted. "Because when the King rebuilds his precious colony city in the Anduin, there may be another, this time between Númenóreans, and perhaps I will be sent to intervene once that happens.”

There, he had said it.

“Really?” She did not sound flippant this time. “Do you think it will come to that?”

“The Merchant Princes will not take this blow to their trade investments lying down. Whether they can pay enough tribesmen to defeat the Sceptre is debatable, but Mordor is too close for comfort. If the lord of Mordor can find an excuse to intervene in the conflict, we may lose the entire Bay.”

“I thought that you belonged to those who did the fighting, not the thinking.” In spite of her dry words, Amalket was serious. “But what on Earth is Lord Númendil’s role in all this supposed to be?”

Amandil had been wondering the same thing for months.

“I do not know.”

This time, the silence that ensued was not uncomfortable, but thoughtful. It lasted for a long stretch of minutes, perhaps hours, until they heard the sound of feet grinding the white pebbles of the garden paths, and both stood to attention.

“Welcome back, my lord King, Lord Númendil”, Amalket recited in flawless Quenya. In front of him, she never hid her irritation, but when faced with them, she managed courtly manners like a professional. Maybe he should feel honoured that he was allowed to see her feelings, at least, and conveniently ignore how negative those feelings were.

Tar-Palantir smiled at her. With his penetrating eyes, he could probably see the hostility right underneath, but he did not seem to mind.

“We apologize for keeping you away from your warm bed for so long, Lady Moriwendë.” he said. The smile was not only in his mouth, Amandil realized, it was also dancing in his eyes, and his father was sharing in it. He felt relieved. If he was sure about something, it was that whatever had made his father so happy could not be war. “I promise that your sacrifice will not be in vain. We have an announcement to make tomorrow, and it concerns both of you.”

“Us, my lord King?” To her credit, Amalket barely blinked, but behind her placid expression, she was thinking hard. Amandil did not need to be a Tar-Palantir to know that. “Oh, I am looking forward to it. I will prepare a feast in the large hall.”

Númendil grinned, with the contagious glee of a child who was enjoying a secret.

“We will be there, my dear.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“I do not know… It has always been done like this, hasn’t it?”

“Yes, but she has a point! If we opened the Fountain Gardens for chosen guests, it would be very convenient. We could avoid plenty of scandals.”

“You wish to avoid scandal? Then wait until we need to make a list and decide who is a chosen guest and who is not!”

“What if we change that to the Flower Gallery, then? There is more room for…”

“This is absurd!” Hiram threw his hands in the air, in a gesture of exasperation. “We will stick to tradition and there will not be any problems, because that is what tradition is for!”

“That is a remarkably short-sighted opinion, cousin.” Eluzîni’s eye had a spark, betraying her malicious amusement at the proceedings. “What the Princess of the West needs is to be in charge of something new and bold.”

“And I suppose you will say that you have already planned for new and bold things to take place in the Fountain Gardens.” Hiram’s plump wife rolled her eyes. The other woman laughed.

Elendil ignored their bickering. Turning his back to them, he approached the dark, strangely small figure who stood under the sacred tree. Silver leaves lay at her feet, scattered by the wind.

“Princess.”

Were her shoulders trembling?

“Míriel”, he insisted. “Do you wish us to go inside? We have racked our brains enough for one afternoon.”

“No.” Her voice sounded brittle, like glass. “I am fine. Stop treating me like an invalid.” Elendil opened his mouth, but he could not even manage to utter the first word this time before she cut him again. “And do not patronize me.”

“Well, there is no point in remaining here, anyway. This is the only place where we know for sure that there will be a feast.” Kamal interjected helpfully. “We should go inside.”

“Oh, let us go to the Fountain Gardens! We can take a measure of the place.” Eluzîni proposed. Slowly, with much gathering of silks and rustling of robes, the party marched towards the inner gate.

Míriel fell behind.

“Go ahead”, she commanded, when they stopped in their tracks to wait for her. Elendil was the only one who did not heed her word, slowing his large strides until he fell at her side. A long acquaintance with her moods, however, had taught him that it was pointless to speak. She already knew everything he could possibly say.

“Thank you”, she smiled briefly, grabbing his arm.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Oh, this is so beautiful!” Hiram’s wife simpered, a sea of distance away. Other voices joined hers, loud and grating, but at the same time distant, so distant that soon she would not be able to hear them with her real ears, or see them with her real eyes. Their silhouettes, ahead of her in the corridor, were blurred by darkness, and the roar was becoming deafening.

She needed to make it stop.

Now.

Holding to Elendil’s arm for dear life saved her from drowning momentarily, but the danger was not over. He was not the anchor, she reminded herself. He could not save her.

He was not there.

The roaring of the waves increased.

“Isn’t it delightful, the music of the fountains? I would simply love to have a feast here!”

“Míriel.”

I love you.

You are out of your mind.

I love you.

I am leaving.

The void, the emptiness. The death.

Maybe I managed to escape.

A tear fell down her cheek, glistening in her ivory skin.

“Míriel, look at me.” The voice called her again, quietly, intently rising above the noise of the water. Little by little, she noticed that it was receding, and realized that he was pushing her away from the fountains. He knows what to do, the thought came to her, he knows how to survive, how to escape.

Except her. He did not know how to escape her.

I love you.

It took her all her strength, not physical, but of the other kind, to let go of him and retreat two shaking steps across the dark corridor. His concerned glance was prying now, but it could penetrate her no more than a fly could penetrate a nutshell.

Her lips curved in a tremulous smile.

“I am fine.” Someone was holding her shoulders from behind, and she allowed herself to lean against them. Kamal. His support was different: strong and unyielding, but asking no questions, like the old nurse of her childhood, and she welcomed that now. “I do not like the sound of fountains. Maybe it is better if we keep to the Inner and the Outer Courtyards.”

“That is a good idea”, the heir to the Hyarnustar nodded. “Hiram might even be happy, as is it more like tradition.

Slowly, he let go of her, and both him and Elendil flanked her on both sides. Hiram and the women had also stopped to check on her, but they seemed satisfied with how she had changed back to normal. It was astonishing how they could school their expressions into pretending that nothing had happened, with as much ease as they could breathe or talk. Courtiers.

She had learned much from them.

“If Hiram is happy, then that is all I am hoping for”, she smiled. “And now, let us go to my quarters and have something to eat. We deserve it.”

“Hear, hear!”

As their party made their way back to the West Wing, chattering and laughing, Míriel could not help but notice that Elendil was the only one who remained worried.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Now, if you please, I will make an announcement.”

Three sets of grey eyes, and one black, gazed at him from behind the cups of ruby-red wine from the Hyarnustar that Morwen had served them after dinner. Two were genuinely curious, one placid, and the last one he wouldn’t decipher, even if he could.

“They have been impatient to hear the news, my lord King.” Númendil smiled.

“Then I must apologize for keeping it to myself for so long. For there is no secret in what I am about to reveal - or, if there is, it was never meant to last”, he said. “My friends, I have asked a precious favour from Lord Númendil, and he has graciously accepted. Words cannot convey how grateful I am for his help. From the first time I set foot on the threshold of this house, back when I was a young fool who wasted his time chasing ghosts in the darkness, this family has always been my light and my anchor, and I owe everything to you. I would need three lifetimes to be able to repay you for all that you have done, and still do, and of course for what you have suffered in the process.” Artanis had even stopped the pretence of looking at him; her eyes were fixed in the swirling liquid of her cup. He took a long breath before continuing. “As you all know by now, I have a cherished project, and, in spite of the many daunting difficulties, I have the will to see it done during my lifetime. This project concerns the ancient colony city of Pelargir, the brightest jewel of Númenor in the Middle Earth shores of old. This city was dear to our ancestors, yours and mine, who used it as a window to conduct mutually productive exchanges with other peoples and kindreds. When this window was shut, we became prisoners of our ignorance and prejudice, and withdrew from the most sacred of alliances.”

Amandil’s look was guarded. He had perfected this disguise in the most demanding of situations, his life of exile among those who hated his family and would have seen him killed the very moment that a glimpse of his true nature was allowed to shine through. Still, Tar-Palantir’s eyes were sharper than theirs, and he could see the strong currents which flowed under this bland appearance. He saw the sarcasm, the jaded pessimism of the man who had lived more lives than those who surrounded him, and thought he knew more than they did. Who sincerely believed that there was no room for “mutually productive exchanges” with other peoples and kindreds, only domination, strife and death, and that colonies were mere pretexts to acquire wealth at the expense of others. To him, Pelargir would not be any different from the Gadir it was trying to replace.

This was exactly the kind of person that Tar-Palantir needed to convince.

“Amandil knows that I am already working on a project, but the task of rebuilding an entire city from scratch is no small thing. From my reading of the ancient scrolls, and the words of those I have contacted through the Seeing Stone, I know that, once upon a time, we had the help of others. Others who withdrew from us and ceased their dealings with Númenor when our gratefulness was changed into hostility.”

Númendil cleared his throat softly.

“The Elves of Lindon are still ready to extend the hand of friendship, if we wish to go back to the terms of the old alliance”, he intervened. “However, the Shadow has been upon us for too long, and the Men of Númenor have forgotten the old ways. At the present time, most would simply not accept the presence of the Elder Kindred in the Island or the colonies, and the Elves are wary of us as well. A middleman is needed, someone who can breach this gap between our two races.” His eyes sought those of his son. “I have volunteered for this task. I will leave Andúnië by ship and travel to Lindon, where I will be received as an emissary of the King of Númenor and an honoured guest.”

Amandil looked shocked. He opened his mouth, as if to protest.

“But…”

Númendil pretended that he had not been able to hear the interruption.

“It seems to me that this task is something I am uniquely suited for, something I may have been born for, even, unlike all the other tasks that life has thrust upon me. And still, it is such a task as demands my extended leave from the Island and the lands of the Andústar, making it impossible for me to hold my office any longer.” His smile widened. “This is why the King has allowed me to pass the ring of Barahir to you, my son. Before I depart, we will hold a succession ceremony, and you will be the new lord of Andúnië.”

Now, Amandil was positively thunderstruck. He had been considering this eventuality for some time, Palantir knew, at least since Lord Valandil resigned, but it was not the same as hearing it spoken aloud in the King’s presence.

For an instant of vivid, uncommonly visible turmoil, he seemed to be struggling with words, trying to find the way to make his father understand that this was a mistake, that Númendil couldn’t just resign, sail away with the Elves and leave him alone with an office that many believed he was not suited for, that the vipers in Armenelos would never tolerate him sitting in the Council and being Lord of Andúnië, that the King had underestimated…

In the end, he said nothing, as Palantir knew he would.

“As the King wishes.”

“Y-y-yes.” Lady Moriwendë’s eyes were wide as twin moons, and she also seemed dismayed, though Palantir could not see why. Pressure, possibly. She was a woman of low birth, it was not unconceivable that she had never imagined she would find herself in that situation, and that she might even panic about it. She reminded him of his own wife in that respect; though highborn, she had never wished to be Princess of the West, much less Queen of Númenor, and had not borne it well for quite a while.

Only one person in the room remained without emotion.

“This was a lovely banquet, and a delicious wine. Thanks for your hospitality, Lady Moriwendë. I will remember it with fondness and longing when I am back in the Palace.” he complimented the lady with a bow. Then, draining the last of the liquid from his crystal cup, he rose from his chair, and strode towards the door.

In the corridor, he almost bumped into a servant, who was not expecting his irruption and dropped the plates she was carrying. As if from a great distance, he heard the rest of the people in the table rise after him, exchanging frantic whispers that soon turned into louder words.

Another thing done.

Only one left to do, he thought, morosely, and then he could return to Armenelos.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He found her on a marble bench down in the back gardens, those that had a view of the Sea. Palantir remembered how she used to love sitting in the glade between the mallorn trees, but ever since he had started frequenting the place with Númendil, she had been markedly avoiding it. Here, the breeze was stronger, dishevelling her long mane of hair in a way that reminded him of that other night, so many years ago, under the same stars.

I do not blame you, Inziladûn.

“Artanis”, he said, doubting his voice for the first time since he was a young man. It came forth so thin, that for a moment he thought that she had not heard him above the distant roar of the waves and the rustle of leaves on the treetops. Then, he noticed the tension in her shoulders.

“May I sit?” he asked, approaching her. She did not answer, but he forced himself to take her silence as an encouraging sign. He had not come so far to surrender this easily.

As he took a seat next to her, she moved away, almost imperceptibly, which could be understood as either a polite way to accommodate him or as flinching away from the mere possibility of his touch. Still, she would not look at him.

“Artanis”, he repeated, this time in a different tone of voice, the voice he used now, as a King. He was reassured at how firmly the well-practiced tone came from his lips. “I have done my best to reward your family for what you have suffered in exile. Your father, Lord Valandil, could become Lord of Andúnië before he died. Your brother, Númendil, is going to fulfil his heart’s desire of living among the Elves. Amandil is now Lord of this land, and his son Elendil will soon marry my daughter. Now, only you remain.”

Her voice also had a strange quality at first, as if she had a head cold.

“I did not suffer exile and imprisonment because of you. You owe me nothing.”

He accepted the rebuke, but was not deterred.

“I know, but I would still see you happy. What could a lady such as you wish that would be in my power to give?”

This time, she did look at him. It was her way of saying, there, look, you can see through me, I am hiding nothing from you because there is nothing to hide anymore. The intensity of the despair made him flinch.

“There is nothing I wish that would be in your power to give.”

Pain, almost physical, coursed through his mind and soul, shaking him. Was it her pain or his own pain, awakened by hers? He could not tell anymore.

Curse it. Curse everything. He had been foolish enough to think that, as King of Númenor, he could have enough power now to lay this ghost to rest, but he was as helpless as he had been before, back when his father lived.

“The power of the Sceptre is but an illusion, then”, he retorted bitterly. She nodded.

In a sudden burst of awakening, he saw a vision of them as they should have been, joined as husband and wife under the stars of the chapel in Armenelos, and secretly whispering their vows to the Valar under the golden trees. He saw himself, ruling beside the woman he desired with all his heart, his beautiful Queen, Elven-fair. He saw their twin children, the lovely girl whose brow was never darkened by fear, and the young man who looked so much like Elendil, tall and wise beyond his years, his intended heir. Everything that would have been, everything that was meant to be- save for Gimilzôr, who, full of superstition and folly, had forced him to marry a woman he had never truly loved. Their union had borne a sad fruit, a dead baby, and a princess who would never be able to shoulder the weight that the world was determined to burden her with. All because of him, of his impious father.

He had changed everything, altered Eru’s will, and died unpunished. How was this possible?

Belatedly, Palantir realized that this vision did not belong to him. He was seeing all this through her, and as this notion struck him, he reeled back, frantically trying to disengage his thoughts from hers. But it was too difficult, as they were the thoughts of the woman he had loved, the woman who had been born to think with him in unison, and she was right, right to despair. He should be despairing, too. Nothing would happen as he expected it to, for it had gone wrong long ago, terribly, terribly wrong.

No!

With a gut-wrenching effort, he pulled away. Seen from the outside, her turmoil was so pitiful that he could not prevent a tear from rolling down his cheek.

Slowly, she rose to her feet.

“I said I did not blame you. “It should have required a great effort to speak so composedly, and still, she was not even trembling. “I blame he who thought he could thwart the Creator and turn us away from the path that was ours from the beginning.”

“But, Artanis…” He needed a much longer time to be able to utter anything coherent after the experience. “How could my father thwart the Creator? How could He let a mere mortal change fate? We do not even know what His true will is, surely we must believe that His wisdom and His true plan will shine in the end!”

“Love.” Artanis replied. So simple, so chilling. “You loved me. I loved you. You do not love your wife as you love me, and I will never love another soul. This is real, and we know it. How can it not be an expression of Eru’s will?”

Palantir had no good answer to this.

“We must not let ourselves fall into despair. Despair is the most powerful weapon of the Enemy.” She scoffed, so he tried to wrack his brain to find something that could at least convince himself of the rightfulness of his purpose. Finally, he saw a lifeline that he could grab. “The Wave. We were sent this dream, so we could know what was at stake and avert it. I have seen things which could avert it., measures which can still be taken. The Creator would never have let me see this if I was doomed to fail, would he?”

She laughed, a strangely shrill laugh that did not become her.

“In my dreams, the Wave already drowned me long ago. Since then, I have known no peace.”  And with a curt bow, she stood up and walked away, leaving Palantir alone with his thoughts.

Love.

Eru’s will.

The circumstances surrounding the boy´s birth are ... worthy of our attention, my King. Apparently it happened against rather remarkable odds, back when he was serving at the Temple of Armenelos. He saw it as a signal in that time of hopelessness.

He remembered Númendil’s words, back when he was introduced to his son, Amandil. How a young man’s infatuation with the daughter of a Palace Guard had been understood by the Faithful as a divine message. They, too, saw love as a sign of the Creator.

Tar-Palantir had let go of love, long ago. He was fond of his wife, he was concerned for his daughter, and he had reached a tenuous truce with his father’s embalmed corpse. He had friends, and he had allies, but he had no love. Somewhere along the way, he had lost it.

Was he already doomed?

For the sake of Númenor, he prayed fervently that Artanis was wrong.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The feast of Erulaitalë, the day after Tar-Palantir’s return to Armenelos, was the most magnificent celebration that many, courtiers and commoners alike, would remember for years. Midsummer was the time when the joy of life bubbled closer to the surface of all beings, when the appetite for merrymaking and lustful pursuits came closer to escape the narrow confines of the mortal body. Sun and heat paralyzed minds and limbs during daytime, especially in the windless low plains of the Mittalmar, but, when the sun left the sky, it was time to revel, and delight in the knowledge that, once again, they were truly alive.

This was why the return of this particular solemnity, discontinued for centuries under the rule of the later Kings, had been an enormous success, to the point that Tar-Palantir had decided to ride the wave and set aside a larger sum for its organization than he did for the other two combined. That true devotion was much less extended among the populace than love for expensive displays was a knowledge that his father’s policies had instilled in him long ago, and, after becoming the sole holder of the Sceptre, he had soon realized that he could not afford to reject all of Ar-Gimilzôr’s teachings. If the former King had been right about something, it was that high-minded purity was in no way different from isolationist folly. So Erulaitalë, both in the Palace courtyard and in the public squares of Armenelos, had soon become a lavish celebration full of roaring bonfires, jugglers, dancers, water games, and wine.

Back when his wife had sent him word that their daughter Míriel was in charge of this important event, Palantir had been extremely concerned. He did not trust the Princess of the West’s ability to organize something that would please everybody, much less to communicate her wishes to other people in a way that they could make sense of what was going on in her mind. The Queen had pointed out that this was hypocritical of him, given that he had appointed her the heir to the Sceptre, which meant that he expected her to be in charge of much more than a mere feast. Palantir was aware that she knew he was counting on his kinsmen of Andúnië to rule the realm in Míriel’s stead, but so far he had steadfastly eluded her attempts to have him say it aloud -or, indeed, put it into writing.

In any case, she had a point, for even a figurehead would be meant to lead a public life, rehearse her appearances, and be subject to the prying eyes of many. She had to become accustomed to people, and what better way for it than being in charge of a celebration? It had been her own choice to volunteer for it, surely there was hope still.

Still, he had to admit that, in the deepest recesses of his mind, he had been expecting her to fail, or, at best, to barely elude making a total mess of it thanks to the help of her soon-to-be-betrothed and, of course, her mother’s hidden hand. He had not expected her to come and receive him at the head of a column of courtiers, pour him wine in a cup of gold, or lead them into a lavish festive scenery, spanning several Palace courtyards, each of them showing a different set of decorations. As they walked the inner corridors of the Palace, others had done much of the talking, the Queen most of all, but she had spoken too, and all her words had been carefully measured and softly spoken.

The following day had been dedicated to the greatest ceremony of all, the ascent to the Meneltarma and the prayer to Eru Almighty. The sun of a hot summer day was already sinking in the horizon when their large company rode back through the cobbled streets of Armenelos, bringing a much-needed respite to its inhabitants, who emerged from the cool shades of their houses wearing their best finery and drinking cold wine.

The Palace was all alight with torches and silver lamps, both hanging above their heads and floating in the large pond of the Inner Courtyard, where the highest Court dignitaries were ushered one by one. The largest landholders of Númenor and their families were consorting with one another around trays of spiced bubble wine and iced fruit cream. Other high courtiers could be seen here and there, swimming in the periphery of his sight, and for a moment he could distinguish the priest who had come in the stead of the High Priest of the Cave, surrounded by a retinue of attendants. Even farther away, under a makeshift porch made of entwined red flower branches, the Merchant Princes huddled together with the Prince Gimilkhâd, his wife Melkyelid, and the Governor of Sor, as if openly defying the unspoken social rules of mingling. No priest of Melkor was in attendance.

The Princess of the West, meanwhile, had abandoned her mother’s side together with the son of Amandil, and she was edging towards the space at the other side of the pond, where the Court musicians performed and young people came together to dance. Palantir had never seen her so energetic before, clapping her hands when Zakarbal’s heir and his wife danced together, and laughing with Lord Kamal as Lady Eluzîni, the daughter of the Dissolute of Hyarnustar, snuck behind a priest and embraced him from behind, causing him to drop his cup of wine. At some point, she said something that he could not hear, and the musicians started playing a different song. Everybody began then pairing up for a fast dance, where partners were exchanged at an increasingly vivid pace.

“This is a little too daring, isn’t it?” he said, arching his eyebrows. Eärnissë shook her head.

“This is life. She has never lived it until now, and I think she deserves it as much as anyone else.”

Deserve. For a moment, he had to do a conscious effort to avoid thinking of Artanis in her garden bench. She had loved to dance, but not in his wedding.

“There are few of us who get what we deserve”, he retorted. “She is the heir to the Sceptre of Númenor, and each and every one of her moves is being watched.”

“Then how can she grow up?” The Queen threw her arms up; one of her trademark unpredictable gestures that the Court so frowned upon. “I am so lucky I was able to spend my childhood and my youth away from here, otherwise I think I would have died a five-year old.”

But in the end you, too, became a pawn in the games of others, and your old life was taken from you. Darkly, Tar-Palantir thought that if all that had ever left unsaid in their conversations could somehow gain a material entity, it would form a bridge between Númenor and the mainland.

He had been unable to shake this morose mood since he left Andúnië.

Míriel had gone through five different men, and all of them seemed almost frightened to touch her. There was something disquieting about her beauty, even when she was trying to pass unnoticed among others by acting like them. Perhaps it was the dark pools of her eyes, those that he had never been able to penetrate and that, he had to admit it, disquieted him, too.

Or maybe, he thought, forcing himself to dismiss this train of thought, it was the fact that she was the Princess of the West and her parents were watching.

She was dancing with Lord Kamal now, the heir of the Hyarnustar. They had been holding each other for as long as the brisk pace of the song demanded, but when the time came for the next change, they made a mistake, and Lady Eluzîni and Elendil were left hanging. There was some confusion, while everybody struggled to go back to their previous partners in an attempt not to break the harmony of the circle.

Míriel and Kamal did not seem to have noticed. If all, it seemed to him from the distance that they had grown closer, and that he was encircling her waist with arms that did not seem remotely afraid of touching her. Shocked, Palantir looked at his wife, and saw that her eyes had widened.

“What…?” he began, pointlessly. In the dance floor, Míriel and Kamal were kissing fiercely, ignorant of the uproar that was being created around them. “By the love of the Valar!”

Eärnissë shook her head, her cup tightly held in her grasp. Finally disengaging from his embrace, Míriel held the young man’s hand, and approached the porch where they both stood with him in tow. The crowd parted before her, as if the courtiers were afraid of being somehow associated with them through contact.

“Father, Mother”, she spoke, and her voice rang loud and clear in the resounding silence. Even the musicians had stopped playing, and were staring at the scene, their mouth agape. “This is the man I have given my heart to. We have fallen in love, and spoken our promises to each other under the eyes of the Valar. Please, give me leave to marry him, and lead a blessed life as his ever loving and true wife.”

Kamal saw her fall to her knees, and clumsily imitated her. He was obviously scared out of his wits, and steeling himself for anything from exile to death, but his infatuation was also obvious.

For the first time since he was too young to remember Tar-Palantir, too, surrendered to fear in public. His face drained of all colour, and he had to step back to lean on his chair before he fell. Distantly, as if behind a roaring cascade of blood and water, he saw his daughter’s face become his own mother’s face, lying dead on her bedchamber, and then her eyes became grey and she was Artanis, raging that love was the only true signal from Eru.

Then, she became Míriel again, and the Wave took her, together with the Palace, Armenelos, the Island of Númenor, and all he had ever fought to preserve.

His wife’s reassuring grip in his arm brought him back from his reverie, and not a moment too soon. People were starting to whisper, and he could distinctly hear his brother’s voice.

“…always been frighteningly unbalanced, naming her Heir was a very poor decision, as I said back then….”

“I say, I knew nothing of this!” Shemer of Hyarnustar was protesting loudly to some whisper or unvoiced reproach. “Nothing whatsoever!”

Elendil, on his part, had said nothing. He stood still on the dance floor, holding Lady Eluzîni as if they were still dancing, as deathly pale as Tar-Palantir must look to others.

At least, he could allow himself that luxury.

“Eärnissë, take Míriel with you to the West Wing. Lord Shemer, you will take your son home with you. We will discuss this tomorrow in private, as befits a matter of such delicate import.”

As he made his way across the courtyard and past the gate leading to the Painted Gallery, and both the prying eyes and the malicious whispers were finally left behind, he could not repress the urge to lean against the cold wall, close his eyes, and let go of a long, shuddering breath.

What was going to happen now?

 

Turns of Fate

Read Turns of Fate

“Your son committed an intolerable breach of decency and protocol, not to mention wilfully acting against the King’s wishes!” Zakarbal could not keep his voice low when he was excited, or stand still while he spoke. His movements across the room were distracting to the extreme. “He should apologize and leave the capital!”

“He has already apologized! How many more apologies should he offer? It was wrong of him to touch the Princess of the West in an inappropriate way, but he did not even speak a word, remember that!” It had only been one night since the incident, but that brief respite had been enough to bring an unfortunate change to the attitude of Lord Shemer of Hyarnustar. Aghast and embarrassed as he left the Palace with his son the previous evening, today his eyes gleamed with the newfound pride of a great Númenórean lord. “And I do not see why he should leave the capital. He is my heir!”

“You know very well why! The Princess was set to marry someone else.”

“When did that happen? Was there a betrothal ceremony and I was not invited?” No, Shemer would not back down, now. His pride was at stake… and the possibilities were slowly but certainly dawning in his mind, as well. “Or do we somehow not count in your precious alliances, except as secondary actors whenever you have any need of us? My son Hiram, my own son, was given to you in adoption, Lord Zakarbal, back when you had no male heirs and your line was going to die with you! I did it because the Prince Inziladûn, who now is our King Palantir, asked it of me, at the time when the Former King frowned upon anyone who dared to consort with his son’s faction. You should hold me in greater esteem than your own kin! Instead, you wish my other son to disappear in exile because the Princess loves him, and for what? For her to marry someone of the line of Andúnië! What is it that they have that we do not? Lands? Riches?” His indignation seemed to grow with each word he spoke. “They are still rebuilding houses, planting farms and building ships down there, and they cannot even speak for themselves in the Council. They have a liege lord, a priest to make things worse! We, on the other hand, have held our lands and our seat in the Council for thousands of years. We have kept our blood pure. We have produced four Queens of Númenor! Or is it that our ancestors backed Ar-Adunakhôr, Lord Zakarbal? Well, so did yours, and of their own free will, not because their lord was taken hostage!”

“My ancestors were defending their own lands! They were caught in as much a difficult position as yours were, and besides, this is neither here nor there!” Zakarbal’s face was ominously flushed. “You are distracting our attention from the issue concerning us here and now!”

“Which is that my house is suddenly not good enough to marry into the royal line!”

“Father, that is not… I mean, this is…” For a moment, Kamal seemed overwhelmed by what was happening, almost as if he would truly wish to seize the opportunity to flee the capital and have nothing else to do with the affair he had found himself dragged into. Palantir was slowly having the measure of him, and he was not like Elendil at all. It had been his own daughter, he knew, who had orchestrated all this; he had merely followed her lead. 

His daughter. The truth was that she had unnerved him, ever since she developed his mother’s features, and those eyes that he could not read. When the fits started and they became aware of her visions, he had been unable to see her as anything else than an abstraction, a key piece in his long game, to be considered only in the surface, for political moves and alliances. To begin to scratch this surface in order to discover the strong currents of her willpower, her wishes, her feelings and emotions; in short, everything that he should have carefully taken into account before even thinking of making those moves, had scared him in a deep, visceral way, just as it had scared him to discover what Artanis thought.

And there it was. A flaw in the plan. Had his father known what he was doing when he let her live after killing her twin brother? Had he known that sparing her would be an even better move than killing the other baby?

For a moment, it was as if Eärnissë could guess what he was thinking, because she looked at him reproachfully from behind their daughter’s chair. She had had enough, Palantir knew -of him and her brother Zakarbal and the pompousness of Lord Shemer, but of him most of all. She, alone, was aware of his failure, as she had been a daily witness of it.

“If all you high and mighty lords would shut your mouths for an instant, it might even be possible to solve this sad business by asking the Princess of the West what does she actually want.” She had a way of firing the embers of her temper so fast that the same sentence could begin in deceptive calm and end with her chest shaking in anger. “This is not a matter of who has higher revenues, or the larger fleet, or the most heroic ancestor, because she is not marrying your revenues, your ships or your ancestors!”

This put a temporary end to the bickering, as the lords appeared too shocked to reply to her words, but they could not very well ignore them either. Tar-Palantir took a deep breath; his time to speak had come.

Love. According to Artanis, it served as a guide to Eru’s will. Was Eru’s will to drown them all, then? Or did Eru see something in this infatuated, airheaded young man that no mortal could possibly discover?

Surprised at his own irreverent thoughts, the King dislodged them forcefully from his mind. If Eru was to be called into account for each of Men’s sentimental weaknesses, for each of their selfish passions, He would quickly become as irrational as the capricious gods who demanded victims to be sacrificed in their altars of fire.

Artanis was just a bitter woman. A bitter woman he had loved once, but he could no longer afford to be distracted by thoughts of her.

“I love him.”

Míriel’s voice was quiet, but it resonated in the silent obsidian hall like the chime of a silver bell. Palantir had allowed himself to be distracted, after all, and she had taken advantage of it again.

“Did you hear that? Did you hear her?”

“She does not hold the Sceptre yet. She does not rule in the Palace”, Zakarbal retorted peevishly. His sister glared at him, and he countered by turning his glance towards Palantir. Slowly, everyone followed his example, but it was in vain.

The harm was done. The first real battle had come and gone, over his head, and he had not even fought it. He had been caught in an ambush, unprepared, as unprepared as when his father had his baby son killed under his pious, pure, foolish nose.

That time, it had cost him his first heir, the one that was born of his flesh. Now, it had cost him his second, the one he had chosen.

“I had planned a different alliance for my own reasons, and you should not take offense for it, Lord Shemer, because none was intended”, he said. “However, as it appears, my daughter Míriel has decided for herself. The behaviour of both her and Lord Kamal has been inappropriate, and you are right to be angry, Lord Zakarbal. However, the Princess of the West is no mere young woman, and we must learn to respect that. She is the future Ruling Queen of Númenor, and as such it is only fair that she be allowed a choice in who will stand beside her and share in her burdens.”

And if he is not the most suitable for this position, maybe she had wished for it to be so, too.

Tar-Palantir stood from his seat to leave, but before he did so, he sent a last, probing glance into her daughter’s dark eyes. As always, there was nothing there for him to read, no true, raw emotion growing in her features as she smiled thankfully and took her lover’s hand in hers.

He would never underestimate her again.

I am glad that you finally know how this feels, Inziladûn. In his vision, his father laughed, breaching his perfect composure as he never would have done in a lifetime of empty splendour and ceremony. Now you can understand me better, and sympathize with the things I had to do. Can’t you?

“I will never be like you”, he muttered, pressing his palm against his sweating forehead until he forced the vision to fade into the shadows of the corridor. “Never.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He had not been expecting her, that much was obvious. He appeared calm and serene enough, but for someone who knew him as well as she did, there was a slightly wrongfooted air to his expressions, to his silences and his words, as if he had been steeling himself not to reveal his weaknesses, only to realize that all those preparations had suddenly become useless. Even worse for his current plight, he could not disguise how grateful he was, deep inside, that it had been her stepping down that palanquin in the front gate of the Armenelos house of the Western lords, and he felt guilty for it.

Guilty, she thought in a brief surge of anger. Him. How absurd is that?

Halideyid’s mind, already made up to shoulder responsibilities he shouldn’t have been ready for when he was barely out of childhood, had taken an even more difficult turn since his father’s family had showed up to feed him stories of how the Andustar, the Faithful, and the whole of Númenor depended on him. Then, the King had all but ordered him to court his unstable daughter and convince her to love him, without thinking of asking him if he loved her first. He had taken his task seriously, as ever, so much that he had even started to believe the nonsense he kept parroting at every hour of the day. The Princess was a great beauty; she had heard her being compared with the moon, with the stars, and with the Lady of the Seas, all of them remote, terrifying, and out of reach for mortals. When that highest and fairest of ladies decided to amuse herself by playing with his affections, perhaps trying to revenge herself on her father for his stupid ploys, the seducer had become the seduced as fast as a pin could drop. He had never stood a chance, young and naïve as he was. Oh, he seemed very mature, wise beyond his years, but at heart, he was a little boy whose ungainly height made him the laughing stock of all the girls in his neighbourhood. If only he wasn’t so adept at hiding his weaknesses and appearing untouched by all of life’s hardships! Even the most prized race horse could only take so much before it fell to its knees, useless and foaming at the mouth.

“I am glad to see you, Mother, but I must confess I was surprised. I had heard of the news of Father’s accession, and I thought...”

“You figured that they needed me for their Elvish ring-exchanging ceremonies”, she finished for him, picking a handful of dates from a tray and sinking her teeth into the largest one.

“Well…yes.”

“The ceremony has only two obligatory participants, the old Lord of Andúnië and the new Lord of Andúnië, and I am neither. I am sure that some former Lord of Andúnië must have had a wife, but it was so long ago that they have probably forgotten where she was supposed to stand for the duration. “She munched her second date, thoughtfully. “I wonder why no one considered marrying between a hundred and fifty and two hundred years old. Living a married life until old age is surely more fulfilling than remaining faithful when your blood runs hot. Or maybe they could all marry twice in life, and start an honoured tradition of double marriage. An Elven king did it once, and the only condition was that the first wife could never return to the world of the living. I believe that this rule applies to all of us, doesn’t it?”

“Mother!” She had achieved her first purpose: to scandalize him into dropping his guard. “That is a terrible thing to say. Besides, by the grace of the King, now we can marry into the line of Elros again.”

“And live hundreds of years of a loveless marriage?”. Amalket picked another date, and soaked it into her cup of spiced wine. A single drop fell on her lap, staining her blue dress, and she experienced a brief moment of uncertainty before she remembered that it did not matter anymore, that she could have another identical dress made by tomorrow. As always, this realization did not bring relief, but rather a vague feeling of dissatisfaction. It was like when she read the tales of the Elves in the ancient Quenya scrolls, and grew exasperated by how it could all be so grand and so meaningless at the same time. A dead wife could choose to go back to her husband or stay dead. An entire people could choose to go to war because they had grown bored with their immortal life of bliss, but when they were killed, they were eventually healed and came back to life to start anew, so nothing ever mattered. The only tale that moved her was that of the Elf maiden who chose mortality for the love of a Man, because only there she had found a sense of true finality.

That had been real, both their death and their love. Until, ironically enough, she mixed her immortal blood with that of Men, and their children became long-lived freaks who could only marry each other.

“She was not the woman you were meant to marry”, she said, deciding to do away with the pretence. “The King had a daughter as only heir, and he needed someone of the bloodline of Elros who could rule in her place. He also wanted to return the Lords of Andúnië to their position of former pre-eminence so he could rely on them as his strongest allies. Your father was not available because he already had a child by me, so it had to be you. Nobody cared that she was older than you and in love with someone else. So stop feeling guilty because you failed to fulfil your impossible mission!”

Halideyid looked down. At once, the anger she had mustered against the people who had dared use her son abated in the face of his obvious distress. She sighed, embarrassed at her outburst.

“Did you love her?”

He did not answer for a while, then nodded quietly, as if afraid of the sound of his own voice.

Amalket stood from her seat so she could lay a hand on his shoulder. For a while, the garden lay in silence, broken only by the rustle of the fountain and the distant sound of birdsong.

“She was so beautiful” he finally spoke, she did not know how long afterwards. “At first, she didn’t seem to like me much, but then her behaviour began to change, and I thought…I thought…”

“You thought that she loved you, too”, she finished for him. To think that her father’s job had been to protect the Palace walls for all his life, and now his daughter, who could enter them at will, was contemplating murder.

But murder was not a constructive solution, and she could do better.

“Halideyid”, she began. At first, he had tried to have her call him by his new name, but it had been some years now since he had desisted. “Let me help you. If you truly love her, if this is how you feel, now is the moment to act. I will accompany you to the Palace, and once there, you must convince her to see you.”

“What? See her… after this?”

“Yes.” She felt herself getting carried away by her own words. “See her, and tell her of your feelings. Let her know that, in spite of what she has done, you still love her, and will never love another. Fall on your knees, and beg her to take you back.”

Halideyid shook his head, incredulously.

“Stop, Mother! You have no idea. She already knows all of this.” His face was quickly becoming red. “I will not embarrass myself for their further amusement.”

“And I am glad to hear that.” She fell back on her seat, and sought his eyes with her glance. “Halideyid, listen to me. You are feeling pain now, so much pain and embarrassment as you had never felt before. It seems like you will never recover from it, but do you know what? You will.” Her gaze became so intent that, for a moment, she felt like her very eye-sockets were burning. “This is not the love that consumes your soul. If it was, you would never give up on her, and if she married another man, you would not love another.”

Halideyid looked as shocked at this as if she had gone and sprouted horns. While Amalket leaned back to scrutinize his reactions, his brow furrowed in hard thought, as if searching for an appropriate retort that could convince her of the wrongness of her assessment. He had never been one to engage in pointless discussion, but when he had made his mind about something, he stuck to his truth until the bitter end. And yet, here, there was no rational argument to be made, and the very fact that he tried told her everything that she needed to know.

In the end, he gave up.

“How can you speak so surely of things you do not know, Mother?”

Because I had my soul consumed once, my son. Because I could not love another and turn away from disaster.

“I… just trust me, Halideyid. Trust me on this one thing.” She paused, wondering for a moment if she should go on, but consumed or not, he was hurting. He deserved her honesty.  “If I… if things had been different, I would be living in the countryside with my family, or somewhere in a nice cottage in the seaside with a good husband and your little half-brothers and sisters. I would probably have grandchildren by now, and I would be teaching them how to weave. I always loved weaving patterns.” Her gaze hardened for a moment. “But I did not, and here I am. You, however, should not waste your time grieving for that woman, my son. As high and beautiful as she might be, she will fade from your mind soon, and I will be glad for you.”

Halideyid considered her words. She did not remember how long it was since he had paid such undivided attention to anything she had said. For a moment, he reminded her of the child he had been once, so strong and, at the same time, so lost.

“And what if she doesn’t fade? What if she is the one person I was fated to love, like Father was for you?”

“Someday you will truly know love, and when you do, you will realize that this was nothing but a mistake.” She forced herself to smile. “And if there is a single god who is fair in this world, they need to compensate you for living all your life under the shadow of what so many selfish people chose to do with theirs.”

“Don’t we all need that?” Halideyid snorted in bitterness. “Mother, I am sure that the Almighty Creator, beyond the Circles of the World, has higher designs in His mind than making sure that I have balance in my life.”

And that is why he is such a failure as a god, Amalket thought, wondering how long would Tar-Palantir be able to keep his people satisfied with his extravagant charade. To Halideyid, however, she gave her warmest smile.

“You may be surprised yet”, she whispered, gently stroking his hair and elevating a silent prayer to the Lady to guide him towards happiness. “One day.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The ceremony was ready. In the solitude of the armoury, vacated by the night watch on his own orders, the items had been carefully set on a red piece of cloth upon the floor. Blue flames, kindled from the sacred embers of the chapel, crackled inside a golden basin, spreading the scent of smoke throughout the enclosure. A small pot contained a measure and a half of incense, and a jar had been filled to the brim with drops of sacrificial blood. Next to them, at the end of the row, lay the most important thing of all: a glass tray holding six fresh leaves of the sacred herb.

His hands clenched on the cup he was holding, which exuded a powerful smell from the dregs of undiluted wine. For a moment, he lowered his gaze to study them with a critical eye. No, not trembling anymore. Three cups had been needed to steady them, to avoid shaming himself by looking afraid before the Lord of Battles. A small voice in his head whispered insidiously that his external appearance did not matter, that the god would see the cold abyss inside, the one that a hundred and a thousand cups of the strongest red would be unable to fill. But he had never refused a battle simply because the odds were not in his favour.

He had to do it. Or else pass away, unseen, unnoticed, discarded like an armour that had accumulated too much rust. Rise or sink in the shadows.

“King of the City, Lord of Visions, send me an answer.”

The incense was the first thing to be thrown into the flames, and the scent quickly spread across the closed space, preparing it for the imminent arrival of the Great God. The blood followed, causing dark sparks to sizzle and crackle before they vanished. His right hand flew towards the glass tray, and for a moment of brief hesitation it hovered in the air above the first of the leaves.

“King of the City, Lord of Visions.” His voice seemed to belong to a stranger. Was it his febrile imagination, or perhaps the magic was already working? “Send me an answer.”

The leaf lay in the flames for a long time before it was consumed. It was one of its sacred properties, to remain green after it was cut, and to resist fire and frost as if under the protection of the Lord. But this fire was sacred as well, and eventually the prized fumes of the divinity were released from the basin.

Why did he still hesitate? Was he afraid of success, or of failure? Back when he was much younger, he had gone through all those motions in the Palace of Armenelos, under the watchful sight of his grandfather and his father, and he had failed. Back then, only his mother had been able to mitigate his shame, telling him that his power lay elsewhere and that he should never doubt it. But she had been wrong, and her own predictions nothing but the magic tricks of a charlatan; worse still, a charlatan who had even tricked herself into believing her own false prophecies.

Years later, when he first set foot on Middle Earth, he had made up his mind to try again. He had believed himself to be older and more experienced, and the vastness of the Sea lay between him and the eyes who followed his every move in anxiety and disappointment. But Hannishtart -Amandil- had seen the leaves fall from his armour when they were lost in Haradric territory, and figured out what he planned to do. He had succeeded in convincing him that visions were not good for a ruler, that they were a weakness and a distraction whenever swift action was needed. After all, what need did he have of visions, if others could have them for him? Even back then, she had been the one who saved his life with her prophecy, when she gave him the sea-green stone that saved him from the Orc ambush.

But that was before she turned on him.

“King of the City, Lord of Visions, send me an answer.”

Resolute, as he felt whenever he charged the enemy lines, he plunged his face into the fumes, and forced his nostrils open. The onslaught of pain and asphyxia was so sudden that his body tried to reel back, but he held the basin with both hands and stood his ground. His limbs shook in irregular spasms, he couldn’t… he couldn’t…

His surroundings dissolved, and the ground opened up under his knees, causing him to fall into a black, endless chasm. He heard a roar in his ears, and knew it was the sound of air as he hurtled down towards the end of the fall and his inevitable death. His heart felt about to burst.

“At last.” Tar-Palantir said, smiling. “We are rid of him through his own foolishness, and now he is dead through no sin of our own. Blessed be the Almighty Creator.”

“He was always a disappointment.” Gimilkhâd turned up his nose in disgust. “He gave himself such mighty airs, and then he didn’t even try to fight for what was his.”

“Why did you do this?” Melkyelid wept. “You always misunderstood everything I told you. I tried to tell you what you had to do, but you did not pay attention.”

“I cannot understand why anyone would want to have visions.” Hannishtart’s eyes were sad. “If you could see the future, we would never have been friends.”

“Coward.” Zimraphel’s black eyes opened before him, wider and wider, and he could see that this was it, the bottom of the chasm where he was going to crash and die, torn to pieces. He tried to hold onto something, anything, but the edges of the basin had slipped from his grasp.

There was no escape.

“I loved you.”

“Commander! Commander!”

The voice came from a great distance at first, then gradually grew closer and closer, until it was right beside him. With renewed hope, he tried to grab it, but he could not grab a voice, and he was still falling.

“Commander, here!” Suddenly, he felt an impact, something cool against the heat of his face. If there is an impact, there is something solid, the thought appeared in his mind, though he did not know who had put it there, fully formed. He latched onto it, holding to a bony hand until he could feel the ground beneath him again.

“There, there. Oh, fuck! Calm down!” a heavily accented female voice shouted. Pharazôn’s eyes opened wide, but all he could see was darkness. He panicked.

“I cannot… I cannot see”. Was that his voice?

“Of course you can’t see, you knocked the lamp down. Stay still!” A second impact hit his face, this time a cold liquid that acted like a wake up call. Jolted, he began slowly to regain his bearings. He was lying on the floor, dripping wet, his forehead burning. Somebody was moving next to him.

He did not know for how long he lay there, still, until he grew sure enough of himself to utter words again.

“Merimne?” he whispered. Yes, it was his voice. The air was still heavy with smoke and the scent of the burning leaf.

“Yes. I am going to light the lamp.” Deliberately slowly, as if he was a beast out of its cage and she had to prevent him from leaping at her, she moved away. Then, a source of brightness hurt his eyes and forced him to close them again. Blinking back tears, he forced himself to become accustomed to the glow, and barely managed to bite back a cry of surprise.

The basin had been hurled back so strongly that it had crashed against the wall of the tent and ricocheted against a box full of knives. Everything it had contained: the sacred embers, the incense, and the half-burned leaf, lay unceremoniously on the ground, in a puddle of water. The red cloth had been kicked away, and shards lay everywhere, probably from the glass tray where the leaves used to be. Dazedly, he realized also that he lay a large distance away from the spot where he had originally knelt for the ritual.

“I am sorry about your fire. I know it is sacred for you, but I had to put it out.” The woman knelt next to him, and looked down into his eyes. “You were having a fit from that accursed leaf such as none I’ve ever seen. If I hadn’t been passing through and wondered why there was no one standing guard on the armoury…”

“I see”. Cautiously, he propped his arms behind his back and raised it until they were both at the same level. Her gaze had the opaque quality common to all the barbarians of Harad, but he thought he could detect a slight hint of disdain. He winced; his reputation probably stood to take a severe hit from this. What had he been thinking?

“Does anyone else know about this?” he asked. She shook his head, and he relaxed just a little.

“Let’s keep it that way, then.”

“I did not know that you were a Númenórean priest.”

That was definitely sarcasm, Pharazôn noted, though voiced in the expressionless tone that the barbarians seemed to have perfected with the only aim of mocking Númenóreans without those being able to prove it. She was particularly good at that, something which had not helped her make many friends in Umbar -or rather, he thought, unmake the enemies that she already had. A few years ago, while he was still in the Middle Havens, she had been caught alive in a skirmish and taken to camp, where somehow she managed to make a Númenórean soldier bleed to death by using only her teeth. She had been about to lose her life then, but in a surprising turn of fate, the intelligence of the camp identified her as a well-known Haradric leader who had inflicted one too many embarrassing defeats on Númenórean parties beyond the border, and whose head was worth a great price. After that, they had no choice but to keep her alive until he returned, and Pharazôn always offered worthy enemies the possibility of joining his army. This had made him widely respected by the Haradrim, whose capacity for diplomacy was so limited that they could imagine no greater bravery that a man who surrounded himself with his enemies. When asked, she accepted his offer, on the condition that no Númenórean would dare touch her again, but Pharazôn was not sure this was necessary, as there were many whores in the Second Wall who didn’t bite men to death.

“I am not a priest”, he said, ignoring her jibe. “My family, however, has a gift from the gods, to see visions of the future like priests do.”

“But you are a warrior.” Now, she seemed genuinely surprised. Little by little, trying not to make a false move and be further humiliated in her presence, Pharazôn struggled to his feet, and sought for the water basin that she had poured over the flames and over his head. As he should have expected, it was empty. He bit back a curse.

“So, what?”

“So, warriors cannot have visions. If a warrior has visions, he is not reliable in the battlefield. He will have to give up arms and enter priesthood”, she explained, as if it was the most logical thing in the world and he was an idiot for not understanding.

“Among your people, maybe”, he muttered, in a defensive tone. He remembered Hannishtart’s words, long ago, in this very place. The visions do not help you to rule. They do not show you what to do, they are confusing and insane.

“And did you? Have visions?”

“That is none of your concern”, he said, quellingly. His previous desperation was beginning to seep back into his soul, if in a more scattered, less purposeful way. No, he did not have visions. He only saw his fears standing before him, having the best of him as in the most ordinary of nightmares. Worse, he had reacted badly to the leaves, a fit like none I’ve ever seen, as she had put it, and if she had not been there or had not known how to react, he might be dead. Dead by smoke inhalation in a tent, a heroic fate for the Golden Prince of Númenor.

But what kind of hero was he, anyway? He had not fought for his birthright, he had abandoned his father and mother, and then he had abandoned her. And she had abandoned him.

“Yes, I am a warrior”, he said, before he even noticed that he was speaking the words aloud. “For a backwater barbarian that may be a glorious thing, but, to me, it means nothing. I am a hero in a corner of the world, but in the Island beyond the Sea, nobody cares. There, only absurd traditions and ceremonies matter. I cannot fight my way to the throne of my people, and I cannot fight for the hand of the woman I love.”

She stared at him.

“She was the one who had the visions. My… priestess”, he explained. “We were lovers, but the law of my people forbade us to marry. She was set to marry another by the King, her father, and become Queen after him. She asked me to break the law, but I could not do it. It is folly to fight the King of Númenor, I was not powerful enough to do it, and the man she was supposed to marry was someone I had sworn an oath to protect, so I could not harm him without invoking the wrath of Heaven.” Why was he telling her this, of all people? “So I left, and she took her revenge by marrying another man out of love.”

“And that is why you are trying to become your own priest”. She seemed to have caught the gist of it. “To prove that you do not need her.”

Coward. You will stay in the mainland hiding behind your insignificant duties among your insignificant men.

He clenched his fists. He felt like breaking things, like losing his composure and yelling. But, if he surrendered to that impulse, he would lose the respect he had gained among his army and the barbarians, and they, insignificant or not, were all that remained to him now.

“You need to fight”, she observed, as if making a diagnosis. He wanted to hit her.

“Are you volunteering?” he snorted. Merimne nodded, obviously pleased that he had caught her meaning so soon. “Forget it. I cannot hold back at this moment.”

Now, he had managed to anger her, too. He felt a brief, pointless jolt of satisfaction.

“When has any Númenórean ever held back when fighting me?” she growled. He shrugged, and began searching for suitable weapons under the light of the lamp. There were practice swords somewhere, he had seen them before.

While he looked for them, she slipped away from the tent. As he finally found them and followed after her, she saw her standing still on a nearby clearing, her angular features looking as if cast on a mould under the faint glow of the moon.

“Here”, he said, throwing her one of the swords. She caught it in her hand, and began cutting the air with it in large swipes, until she was satisfied with the balance.

She was agile and lean; with both her breasts strongly tied to her chest with the traditional thin bandages worn by the women of the land, her build was similar to that of a teenage boy. The spark in her eyes was ferocious, and she prowled like a cat, and for a moment, there was no trace of the ally in her countenance.

That suited him now just fine.

Swords clashed in a furious dance, which brought back a much needed clarity to his senses. There was no smoke now, no visions, no agonising doubt. Hannishtart had known it, he had always understood much better than Pharazôn did that fighting for one’s life was the only thing that could help a man escape the role of puppet of gods and men. Back when Pharazôn had fought for glory, he had fought to lose himself in the violence, to forget who he was, and what others had done to him.

With a yell of triumph, he parried her thrust before her arm could reach the right angle. Wrongfooted, she tried to retreat, but as soon as she disengaged her weapon, he kicked her to the ground. Lying there, she still managed to parry his blows, but she could no longer stand up, and it was not long since he beat the hilt out of her finger. She grunted in pain, trying to roll away from the onslaught, but he pinned her to the ground, and quickly inserted the hilt of his sword between her teeth before she could bite him. Her grunt became a low growl, but she could not move him from atop her; he was too strong. Her black eyes narrowed, and for a moment she was not Merimne anymore, but Zimraphel, mocking him.

Coward. Coward. Coward.

“I am not,” he hissed. “I am not.”

Before he could move, however, he felt something hard and cold pressing against his aching hardness. The black eyes glinted, and he immediately loosened his grip on the sword she was biting, which slipped and fell with a dull thump.

“Break the agreement, and I will be free to do this”, she whispered, her voice still hoarse from her growling, but deadly calm. Slowly, he moved away from her, and fell back to sit on his knees. For a long while, all that could be heard was the heaving of their chests as they both gasped for air.

She was the first to break it.

“You should go back to the Island and try that with the lady.”

He snorted.

“Good advice from a barbarian.”

“I think she would want it.”

“I see that you want me dead. I suppose I deserved it.”

“I mean it.” She stood up, cradling her hand gingerly where he had knocked the sword away and caused a bruise. “She was going to be married to someone you could not kill, wasn’t she? And then she broke that deal and married someone that you could kill. If it was me, I would be expecting your return.”

Pharazôn stared pensively at his discarded sword, which reflected the light of the moon. Then, he shook his head.

“That is ludicrous. You know nothing about Númenor, and all you have ever seen of its people is soldiers at war. You would never understand how things work there.”

Her snort was more contemptuous than his words could ever be.

“But you are not so different from us, are you?”

He did not grace this with a reply. His head was beginning to ache now, with a dull but slowly growing pain, probably because of his experiment with the accursed leaf.

“Can you walk?”

“Of course.”

“Then you are dismissed.”

For some reason, she smiled. As she struggled to her feet, however, the smile turned into a wince that she bit back out of pride.

“I will be at my tent, then. You can find me tomorrow for the reward. For saving your life, remember?” she added when he saw his blank expression. Then, she picked up the sword and walked away, laughing aloud. Pharazôn, thrown back into the raging sea of his thoughts, paid no more heed to her.

You are not so different from us. Yes, Númenóreans in Middle-Earth conquered through violence. They killed, enslaved and raped, while the Númenóreans in the Island lived their quiet and content lives, enjoying the wealth acquired through those means that they mostly professed to ignore. In the last years, the King had even forbidden triumphal processions and public executions of vanquished enemies, complaining about the violence of the display. It was as if the Second Wall, the Middle Havens, the Mordor frontier, had suddenly become a parallel, invisible world, like a kind of shadow cast by the blessed light of Númenor. And yet the wars still went on, and on, led by men who were no less Númenórean, no less civilized, no less born of the blood of the mighty Sea Lords.

Was civilization, high blood, a mere pretence, to be dropped at will? If this was so, he thought, then it was not madness to think that Zimraphel could wish him to kill her husband, take her by force and usurp her throne. If this was so, too, it was not insane to believe that he could get away with it, that others could follow him in spite of laws and traditions. That the gods would favour the strongest man, as they had when Ar Adunakhôr the Great had seized the Sceptre by the strength of arms.

If. If. Too many ifs.

That night, Pharazôn’s headache did not let him sleep.

 

Interlude VIII: The One in the Shadows

Read Interlude VIII: The One in the Shadows

He had been losing himself, as he did so often in those days, because it was a thousand times better than being aware. Second-best, child of ill-omen, hated by your own mother. She had been beautifully painted, wrapped in soft silks, and her perfume was strong and intoxicating. When he buried his head in her breast, she moaned in false discomfort, giggled as his mouth tickled her nipples, called his name over and over.

They were making love in the red flower gallery, empty and safe because the Lady of the Northern Keys was on leave and had taken her retinue with her. So buried was he in the throes of pleasure that he did not hear the noise at first, the scratch of feet on stone, the fallen twigs upon the roof. It was she who had noticed, she who had been alarmed and begged him to stop. Angry at the interruption, he looked up, at the absent lady´s roof, and froze.

It was him.

No longer able to care about his interrupted tryst, he pushed her away and dismissed her for the night. Ignoring her angry looks, her whispered parting reproaches, he crouched by the gallery, hiding behind the red flowers -and waited.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“My lord Prince. I need to speak to you.”

To this day, he did not know what had possessed him to make that move. Had he hated that much, at that age? Had he already picked sides so clearly, so definitely? He must have had. He must have had, because as his father´s black eyes were fixed upon his in expectation, he remembered the thrill it gave him to hurt these people just as they had hurt him for all his life. This had overwhelmed everything else he could, or should have felt: the weak pangs of his conscience, the feeling of stepping upon a dangerous path, the pure self-righteousness of being his father´s son, and therefore duty-bound to share an information which his father needed to know.

A warm feeling had grown in his chest when Gimilzôr told him that he was grateful for his loyalty. He was not used to such praise, or to being sized up by those eyes as if, for the first time, he had lived up to their expectations. Things will be different from now on, he thought. I am the one who will be trusted.

Still, this did not explain why he would wish to jeopardize this trust by following his father into the forbidden quarters in secret, or lying to that lady and claiming that the Prince had sent for him. Or, once that he was allowed in, why he would hide like a common thief, huddled in a clothing storage closet at the adjoining room from her quarters.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It began with calm, lowered voices which he could not hear from his hiding place. That part, however, did not last much, and soon enough he could hear his father´s voice raised in a hissing note, such as he had heard only in the rarest of occasions, when the Prince allowed himself to become angry in front of other people.

“You will tell me exactly what my son was doing here yesternight, or I will not hesitate to interrogate him and every single one of your wretched kinsmen to find my answers!”

At first, she begged. She claimed that she did not know what he was talking about, and who could have been the evil slanderer who concocted such a story to disgrace the Prince of the West and herself?

“It was Gimilkhâd”, Gimilzôr said. And then she protested no more.

“I sent him a message” she spoke after a long while, in a painful voice. “I- knew that he was leaving to visit my kinspeople in Andúnië, and that he saw them as enemies of his family. I wanted to tell him.... I wanted to tell him to trust them.”

“So he might commit treason?”

“No! “ He could almost imagine the Princess shaking her head. “No, never that! I merely wanted him to strengthen his ties with them, to learn their ways, though I knew you disapproved...”

“Continue.”

“He... he refused to listen to me. I will go to Andúnië only because the King and my father have ordered me to, he said, but I will have nothing to do with those traitors. A-and then he left.”

“How do I know you are not lying? You have been lying to me since the day you came here!”

“I am not lying!” So pitiful, Gimilkhâd thought. She would look very different now from the regal Princess who stared coldly at him during ceremonies. Frightened, swollen-eyed, crying... her hair disheveled, possibly. He smiled.

“I am telling the truth. I swear to you by all the gods! My sons hate me. Both of them. I have made them hate me, to prevent you from hating them! It was the choice I had to make... the only choice you offered me!”

“Stop blaming me. If you had been a proper wife and a proper mother, and forsaken the ways of your kin in favour of loyalty to the royal family, your family by marriage, none of this would have happened.” Slowly, Gimilzôr´s voice started rising again. “I treated you as my wife, as the mother of my children! And to repay me, you tried to become my enemy and influence them with your lies!” There was a sound of an ivory chair scraping the floor, then something breaking -a vase, maybe? “Listen to me very carefully, Inzilbêth. My son will be back in the Palace in a week to ten days´s time. You are not to see him, to speak to him or to seek him ever again. If I ever find that you looked in his direction, that you spoke a word to him, if anyone sees you and him in the same room when I am not present, I will disinherit him and exile both of you to the farthest outpost in the mainland until you die. Do you understand me?”

The silence was absolute this time.

“Do you understand me?”

“Yes”, she finally replied, in a voice so empty of feeling that Gimilkhâd would have believed it was an Elf spirit speaking. “I have understood you.”

Long after Gimilzôr left the room, Gimilkhâd had still not been able to move. His attempts at a graceful exit were intercepted by a flock of ladies who hurried to the Princess´s side to hold her hand, soothing, complaining and crooning as women used to do, and then once again by their departure when Inzilbêth ordered them to leave her alone. To make things worse, they settled in the adjoining room to the one where he was, whispering among themselves and spouting gossip. If he tried to leave his hiding place now, there was no way they would not see him.

And so, he stayed. He sat in silence, wishing that they would leave, that he could go and find the woman of the strong perfume and hide his face in her breasts, and forget the growing disquiet in his heart.

Later, -he did not even know how much later- he heard a scream. Then, a sound of running feet, of voices, and, then again, more screams. He ran towards the door, pushed it an inch to look at the dark corridor. The screams came from the other room.

He froze.

 

*      *      *      *      *

 

It was said that the Elvish fiends from the Western line could command their souls to leave their bodies whenever they wanted to stop living. Gimilkhâd had never believed these tales until that day, the day when he waded past a dozen wailing women and entered the Princess´s room to find her lying on her bed, her skin white and pale and perfect and with no sign of a wound. Her face was eerily peaceful, too, almost as if she was sleeping. No matter where he looked there were no signs of a struggle, no signs of pain or death.

And yet she was dead.

Belatedly, he realized that he had come in unannounced, and that his father was here. He was kneeling near the bed, and his shoulders heaved as if they were spasming. Gimilkhâd had never seen the Prince Gimilzôr look so little in control of himself, and he realized that his father had not noticed his presence- a split second before Gimilzôr saw him.

The change in his countenance was immediate.

“What are you doing here?”

Confronted by that glance, Gimilkhâd felt an overpowering urge to disappear. To go somewhere, far away, and never come back.

He had not killed her. He had not killed her. She had killed herself. And before that... before that, Inziladûn had killed her.

Everything was Inziladûn´s fault.

“Leave”, Gimilzôr hissed. Gimilkhâd did not need to be told twice: he ran, as fast as he could without completely losing his dignity, from that cursed wing and the dead woman who followed his footsteps screaming for revenge.

“I did not do it! It was Inziladûn´s fault!”

“Yes, my husband. It was Inziladûn´s fault. Sssh.” A soothing voice cut through the bleary haze of his terror, and then cool hands were caressing his forehead, brushing the drops of sweat away. Even before he could remember where he was, he felt the instinctive need to curl against her, to grab her shoulder in his grip and bury his face in her breast. She welcomed him as she always did, quietly bearing the discomfort as if it was nothing of consequence.

“I-it was that nightmare. Again.”

“I know”, Melkyelid whispered. “I know. But you are here with me now, and the Goddess is watching over you. Let go of your fear, of your pain and anger. Let go of it all.”

Her words, slow and paused, worked like a charm, and soon he was feeling relaxed enough to let go of his grip on her. She kissed him.

“You did well. You are strong.”

Only when I am with you, he thought. Only when I am holding you.

As if she had guessed his thoughts, she fixed her glance on his. Her golden forehead gleamed in the lamplight.

“I am with you. Always.”

“I know”. Slowly, reality was coming back to him, and with it the inevitable shame he felt in a corner of his mind when he was forced to rely on her in this way. “Is it daytime already?”

“Soon.” She stood up, and tiptoed towards the window to peek under the red silk curtain. “The sky is red. We could lay down for another while, but in an hour, we will have to be prepared to greet my cousin Magon and the governor´s envoy. They said they would come in the morning.”

“I do not want to lie down anymore.” Gimilkhâd sat on the bed. “Call the servants.”

Melkyelid let go of the curtain, and stepped away from the window with her customary elegance. As she came to stand before him, she touched his cheek with a warm smile.

“As you wish.”

 

The Long Battle

Read The Long Battle

(Year 3198 -Year 21 of the reign of Tar-Palantir)

 

Amandil took a long, deep breath, as the ivory doors of the Council chamber swung open before his eyes. Slowly, yet purposefully, he strode towards the right side of the circle, where his current seat was aligned next to those occupied by the lords of Forrostar, Hyarnustar and Orrostar, who smiled and waved in recognition. As always, they were the only ones to do so. Everywhere else he would turn, icy looks dissected him, as they would a dirty cockroach scuttling over the sacred stone of an altar. At the other end of the circle, he could hear a contemptuous snort, and in spite of knowing that he should not rise to any challenge, he could not prevent himself from staring right into the eyes of High Priest Zarashtart of the Forbidden Bay.

An old acquaintance of his during his years in the Cave, this impulsive, warlike priest had not been very happy when he was not selected for the Umbar expedition, as Amandil could recall. However, fate had reserved a more glorious role for him: he had acceded to the post of High Priest after his predecessor, Bodashtart, resigned in protest for the King’s decision to have the new Lord of Andúnië change his role in the Council from that of courtier to that of landholder, effectively eliminating the supreme lordship of the Cave over the lands of the Northwest. A man of action, he had taken measures immediately, and, as he stared back at Amandil, his look was brimming with the unspoken promise of destruction.

Amandil’s lips curved into a smile. It was what Pharazôn would have done, he belatedly thought, had he been challenged by someone who believed himself a great warrior but had never seen a battle in his lifetime. He would have laughed in this ridiculous man’s face, and if he could provoke him into doing something rash in the middle of the Palace, that would have just been an added bonus.

Elendil seemed to think along the same lines, because he edged closer to him. Though he was behind him, Amandil could perceive his large presence towering over him protectively.

“Return to your seat, Elendil” he said, in perfectly clear Adûnaic, and a little louder than necessary. “This coward would never dare attack anyone who can defend himself.”

Ugly red blotches appeared in the other man’s already livid face; it took the Governor of Sor, the Governor’s lieutenant, and his own attendant’s combined efforts to hold him in place. It still seemed unclear to Amandil whether they would have succeeded, if the High Priest of Melkor had not chosen that moment to enter the Council chamber, and the rush of people either rising to salute him or sitting down to avoid being confused with those who saluted him defused the tension. The lord of Andúnië felt vaguely disappointed for a second, then ashamed of himself. He was an adult and a great lord of Númenor, not a young Temple novice anymore, and yet it seemed that Yehimelkor was fated to prevent him from making a fool of himself at every turn of his life in the Island.

Amandil sat down, remembering the first times he had done so, here in this Council chamber. How ungrateful he had felt, towards the man who had saved his life and raised him as a child! As he had been introduced into more and more aspects of the political life of the Island, however, he had realized how misplaced these feelings were. Everyone had personal enemies and political enemies, and political enemies were merely people who pretended to be personal enemies in public. At least, he thought somewhat bitterly, until the day when what was used to be political became personal.

“Rise for the King!” the herald spoke in Quenya. As always, everybody rose except the High Priest of Melkor, who remained firmly in his appointed seat.

“I welcome you, friends, to this Council”, Palantir’s ringing voice spoke the usual words, also in the Ancient Tongue. At once, and though countless -and tedious- sessions should have drilled every inflection and meaning of the stilted formulae in their minds by now, many councilmen signalled to their interpreters, and the cacophony of translations began. “We are here to discuss things of grave import for the governance of the Island.”

Tar-Palantir looked serious indeed. His countenance gave subtle but unmistakeable signs of a sleepless night, which lent a slightly feverish air to the usual broad, overstated movements of his arms and his head. He had never looked very regal, according to the standards carefully laid down in the time of Ar Sakalthôr and Ar Gimilzôr, but today he was radiating an almost manic aura.

Amandil stood up.

“My lord King, I ask for permission to speak.”

“It is granted.”

“This man” Amandil stuck to his controversial policy of switching to Adûnaic when he wanted his words to sink in his intended target without unnecessary filters, “this man, who holds one of the highest religious offices in Númenor, keeps breaking the peace in the West of the Island, ignoring every warning issued by the Sceptre. Ever since I occupied this seat, he had been encroaching upon our territory, bearing arms, and harassing the peasants in countless ways, destroying crops and burning houses.”

“That is not true”, the High Priest replied. His composure seemed to be back after the previous incident. “As I have been forced to explain many times in front of this Council, Lord Amandil’s people have been occupying, and taking advantage of lands which are under the jurisdiction of the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay since the time of Ar Adunakhôr, may the gods bless his soul with life eternal. Since the Lord of Andúnië was a subject of the Cave, my predecessor was kind enough to allow them to settle there, but now the circumstances have changed. I am merely claiming them back.”

“Those lands have been empty for two hundred years!”

“And what if they are? They are my lands, and I am entitled to do what I wish with them. According to this written privilege signed by Ar-Adunakhôr…”

Amandil lost the thread for an instant, busy as he was unwrapping the bundle of mouldy manuscripts handed to him by Elendil. He briefly pondered whether he could risk brandishing them in front of everyone as his rival did with his own documents, then decided against it. It would not look good if they disintegrated before their eyes.

“If this is a matter of whose rights are older, these are the terms of the dowry of Princess Silmarien, daughter of Tar Elendil, and I believe your interpreter will find those lands mentioned in here, if you have him take a look.”

“Lands which you later lost in war!”

“This is ridiculous.” Gimilkhâd’s voice carried over the room, though he had not stood or asked for leave to speak. “Aren’t you tired, my lords, of hearing those two tearing at each other’s throats and brandishing old lore for a few acres of land? The Council has serious matters to discuss which involve us all, but our sessions keep being sequestered for personal purposes. It was the King’s decision to bring back the Exiles, he should be the one to deal with the consequences.”

“War in Númenor is a matter of concern for all of us!”, Shemer argued. Gimilkhâd laughed derisively.

“You call this war, when real war is brewing elsewhere!”

“Real war will happen wherever there is no solution for a conflict”, Amandil retorted.

“Is that a threat?” Zarashtart hissed.

“Enough!” The King rose from his seat, looking very angry. “We have heard all these arguments before. High Priest Zarashtart, I am aware that my ancestor gave these lands to the Cave to keep after the lords of Andúnië were sent into exile. However, as you very well know, I restored them to their former seat of power, and the lands went back to them. This has been made clear in the past, and you still choose to ignore it and engage in pointless retaliation. I will not let you bring war back to the Island. You will abstain from further disruption and trespassing in the south of the Andustar. Is that clear?”

Again, nothing. Nothing, and more nothing. Amandil wanted to yell in frustration, but he forced himself to appear contented. The Cave knew very well that neither the King nor the Council supported their incursions, but they did it because they wanted to provoke the Sceptre into military action. This way, he knew, they hoped they could kindle another large-scale civil conflict like the one in Ar Adunakhôr’s time. The King was not going to rise to the bait, and his greatest battles lay elsewhere at the moment, but this only meant that Amandil was left to shoulder the burden of the impossible situation. If he did nothing and stood by, he was failing his people, but if he did, he might well be the one who “brought war back to the Island”.

“Behold how the Shadow is already upon us!” Yehimelkor sighed, standing up. “Our own homeland is falling apart from strife and dissension amongst ourselves. These are the first signs that the gods are abandoning us after we turned our backs to them. There is still time to revert the situation and implore their renewed protection, my lord King, but it will not be for long.”

Your gods, Your Holiness, are those who wish to cover Númenor in darkness.” Zakarbal, always pugnacious in the religious front, jumped at once to reply. “I, for one, will not miss them if they wish to abandon us.”

And they will be blind, and ignore the signs wilfully, because the Lord has willed their destruction”, Yehimelkor quoted. From the fifth scroll of the temple of Gadir, Amandil remembered idly. “Your opinion is of no consequence to me, Lord Zakarbal, because the wrath of the Lord of Armenelos is already upon you. I can see his mark upon your forehead.”

“How dare you...!”

“I call upon the King, who is far-sighted and a man of learning!” the High Priest of Melkor continued, ignoring the Northern lord. “My lord, give the King of Armenelos what is his due, and appease the unrest of his faithful people!”

Tar-Palantir did not shrink from his opponent’s fiery glance, or from his words. After many councils, he had become an expert in how to trade blows with whom he perceived as his enemy in the larger scheme of things.

“Your Holiness, you accuse me unfairly. Your temple’s decrease in revenues was caused by the supply crisis which affects us all, and that, in turn, was a consequence of the unrest in our mainland colonies. Perhaps our friends from Middle-Earth would care to illustrate us further about the state of things there.” He turned a penetrating look towards Magon of Gadir, who sat next to his associate from Umbar, with an obviously rehearsed vacant expression.

“Unrest”, Amandil knew it very well, was one more euphemism of those that had become currency in their Council sessions. Faced with the imminence of the King’s Pelargir project, the Merchant Princes had decided to wage their own kind of war, calling upon all their partners and associates in Middle-Earth to disrupt Númenorean trade. It was even suspected that they had paid a significant amount of money to rebel tribes to sabotage their own supply lines, intending to defeat Tar Palantir through famine and discontent in the very heart of the Island. In spite of the King’s attempts to return to the virtuous old ways, it was undeniable that Númenórean civilization could not go back to the self-sufficiency it had enjoyed under its first rulers, and that they relied on the mainland for most of the basic needs of its extended population. Faced with this silent aggression, but as unable to call them on it publicly as he was of surrendering to their blackmail, the King had opted instead for trying to kill two birds with one stone. By establishing new alliances with the Lindon Elves through Amandil’s father, he thought he could circumvent their blockade and make their trade alliances redundant, while, at the same time, he had used the crisis as a pretext to cut on the expenses of the Temple of Armenelos, believing that the people would agree to have their own pressing needs met before those of an invisible god. So far, the first bird had proved an amenable target, at least on the short-term, as Númendil had managed to have relief supplies delivered daily through the harbour of Andúnië, and the rebuilding of Pelargir was a promising joint venture for both kindreds. The second, however, was another matter entirely. The King, though much cleverer than Amandil’s grandfather, the late Lord Valandil, had also underestimated the power of the common man’s superstitious devotion. On the King’s festivity last year, Yehimelkor had had the Temple closed, claiming that there was no money for the sacrifices, so he was forced to substitute them by a week of vigil and prayer for the King of the City to forgive his people. Being as he was a man of peace, who did not suffer Amandil to even lay hands on a practice sword, it was difficult to imagine that he could have done this to provoke a riot, but a riot there had been, whether it had been his objective or not, and though the King had confronted him several times, he had refused to speak a word of public condemnation for those acts.

“We are as concerned as you are about the situation on the mainland. Middle-Earth is our home, my lord King, and we do not feel safe at home anymore. Our revenues have decreased exponentially since this crisis began, and our trade associates from Harad and the area of the Bay are taking many risks. Mordor is growing bolder than ever, delivering military aid and weapons to its allies.”

“We can send you soldiers to deal with this situation.”

Magon did not bat an eye.

“We would be thankful if you could spare any.”

This threat had worked in the past, but now the Merchant Princes obviously knew that the King’s best troops were already in Umbar, fighting the Haradrim, and that their commander was the last person whose name Tar Palantir wished to be spoken in the Council or the Island -especially while his own daughter’s succession was still contested. If the Prince Pharazôn were to gain more troops and influence, he risked creating a rival whose shadow could grow too large to ignore.

Amandil shook his head in disgust, a gesture that his faction interpreted as contempt for the spinelessness of the Merchant Princes, but which in fact held a much broader meaning. Everything and everyone in that room disgusted him at this moment, friend and foe alike, and most of all the King. Deep inside, he knew that this was not Palantir’s fault, not in the strict sense of the word, but he had chosen to play his role and roll in the dirt like the best of them.

All because he wanted to rebuild his precious Pelargir, destroy Gadir, and control the Bay himself. Because he insisted on making his volatile daughter the next Ruling Queen. Because he would not rest until the temples of the gods whom his own people worshipped with fervour were razed to the ground.

In short, Amandil thought in uncommon bitterness, because he wished to turn back time and return to the past, forgetting that in that past there had been a bloody civil war. And they had lost it. They had been in the wrong side of history even then, how could they be in the right side now?

Focus, a voice inside his head commanded. It was strangely reminiscent of the voice of the priest who was sitting several chairs away from him, but it lacked the cruel and unforgiving edge he now used to pontificate against the King and his lords, and in its place, Amandil could almost hear the genuine affection that the man had felt towards him once. You have to focus and remember your own purpose. Remember what you are, and what you are here to do, Amandil of Andúnië.

He was loyal to Tar Palantir. He owed him that, for freeing his family, giving them back their lands, and his lordship. Even more than that, as his own father had put it long ago, he was the King who held the Sceptre in Armenelos.

There was nothing to second-guess here. He had been born to act, not to think.

“We should all unite and do our best to bring peace and prosperity to the Island, instead of creating more burdens for the Sceptre to bear”, he stated, in Quenya. Everybody stared at him in surprise, as they had not expected him to talk again at this point. “My harbour remains open for food and relief for the people, and if the King wishes it, I will personally go to the Bay of Gadir to put my military expertise at the service of our efforts against Mordor. In exchange” he gave a long look in the direction of the High Priest of the Cave, who was looking as shocked as everybody else, “I only ask that the borders of my land remain undisturbed until I return, as a courtesy for someone who is risking his life for our common cause. I hope, my lords, that this is not an unreasonable expectation.”

Tar Palantir briefly closed his eyes, as if he was meditating. He had obviously not been expecting this, any more than the merchants or Gimilkhâd, who looked like someone who had chewed on a lemon.

“We hear you, Lord Amandil, and accept your generous offer. “he finally said, after a while. For a moment, he sounded as tired as he looked. “This Council is dismissed.”

As Amandil abandoned the Chamber, followed by his son, he could hear the murmurations begin.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You know that they do not want you there. They were counting on the King not having anyone trustworthy to spare for a mission such as this, and your offer to go is a direct attack on all their plans. What you are going to do is the equivalent of entering a nest of vipers with a blindfold on.”

“Thanks for explaining the situation to me. As I am not a member of the Council, I would never have had access to this knowledge,” Amandil retorted drily, as he rushed across gardens and galleries to the inner chambers of the Andúnië mansion in Armenelos. Elendil’s longer but perfectly even strides followed him, past two or three successive waves of guards, servants and secretaries who stopped in their tracks at the same time as he passed them by, forming temporary groups who stood still and gaped at each other in the corridor, like banks of fish in the Umbarian reefs. He did not pay heed to any of them; all that he needed at this moment was a cup of wine.

“I know that you are aware of the situation, and I am sure you remember how these people tried to kill you twice, much better than I ever could, since the first time I wasn’t even born.” Elendil’s voice droned on, undeterred by his sarcasm. “That is why…”

Tried to kill me.” As if he could ever forget.

“That is why I do not think that risking the life of the King’s greatest asset is a wise move, either for the Sceptre or for the Faithful.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. I am not the King’s greatest asset, and even if I were, no one can remain an asset for long if they ignore their purpose.”

“And what does that mean?” Finally, they had reached his last sanctuary of peace, the garden behind his study. As he had dismissed everyone he had met in his way, however, Amandil remembered that he had to go back inside to find the wine jar. He found it on a table, resting atop a jumble of scattered documents in a way that would have given the current High Priest of Melkor a fit if he had been able to see it. There were no glasses to be seen.

Biting back an expletive he had learned from the soldiers in Umbar, he picked up the jar.

“It means that if I had been raised a diplomat, I would be making deals with the Elves instead of Father. If I had been raised a courtier and a politician, I would be married to the Princess of the West. If I had been raised a Lord of Andúnië, at the very least, I would have found a way to deal with the provocations from the Cave. The mainland and its wars, however, those are things I know about. I have been finding my way there for twenty years, and I am not afraid. Will you bring me the thrice-damn cup or are you just going to stand there?”

Elendil did not sigh, but he could not prevent himself from looking as if he would have wanted to. In silence, he left the room, and Amandil went back to the garden to sit on the veranda. He closed his eyes for a moment. It was the hottest hour of the day, when the birds were at the pinnacle of their hectic activities in the large tree above his head. The cacophony of trills they made as they called to one another filled his ears and slowly brought back his awareness for the present.

His own son believed him too reckless. The idea would almost be funny, if the seriousness of the situation did not preclude him from laughing. He remembered Magon nephew of Magon, the cunning hidden behind his bland look as he sat on the Council listening to his words. No, there was nothing amusing about the Merchant Princes of Gadir.

He knew that better than anyone else alive.

“Here.” Elendil filled a cup, and handed it to him. His brow was knitted with what Amandil guessed was furious thinking activity, trying to find and select arguments and the words to articulate them in a way that would make them convincing. Underneath all of it, he noticed, a deep worry was showing through. That did touch him a little, almost in spite of himself.

“The King looked worried. I think he does not want you to go.”

He swallowed deeply, wishing that the wine could be colder.

“Elendil, the King does not want me to go, but he needs me to. As you very well know, he felt it was necessary to divert trade away from the Merchant Princes and build his own supply routes, which means that now, it is them against the Sceptre, and no compromise to be reached. They are in it for the long run. Money cannot bribe them, orders do not reach them, and threats will not frighten them, either.”

“And you think an army will?”

“I am not there just to threaten them. I am there to uncover evidence which can be used against them.”

The cup Elendil was filling slid away from his clumsy grasp, and fell against the veranda. The wine spilled upon the wooden structure, and several red drops stained Amandil’s tunic. He looked at them in silence, thinking of how Pharazôn would have rushed to claim it was an omen of some kind.

“If that is your purpose, they will not let you fulfil it. They will kill you before it happens.”

“If I do not do this, Tar-Palantir might not be holding the Sceptre for long. It is all fine and good that the Elves are sending emergency supplies, but the Council and the people of Númenor are not ready to accept an official partnership with them, and without that, this is no long-term solution. Pelargir is not built yet, and before they see it finished, the Merchant Princes will tighten the noose even more. “Amandil sighed. “You are good at chess. You know that in order to win, you have to risk your pieces, even sacrifice them. Only the King is to be protected at all costs.”

“You are the Lord of Andúnië, not a piece of chess.”

“We are all pieces of chess. The sooner you realize this, the fewer mistakes you will make. If I should die, it will be your turn to take my place and keep playing.” Amandil cringed inwardly at how callous his words came across. He wondered briefly if his own worries could also be detected underneath, if Elendil had the ability to do so, and while a part of him rejected the idea, another, very small and ridiculous part wished that he would.

“I see that you are not going to listen to me in this matter.” His son’s voice was unusually low, almost drowned by the noise made by the birds on the treetop above them. Amandil remembered those years when Elendil and Amalket had been waiting for news of him every day, probably thinking that he had been killed whenever a long time passed without news.

Back then, it had all been pointless. Now, it wasn’t. Or so he had to believe.

“I am not planning to die. You were just reminding me of how hard to kill I have proved until now, and not only for the Merchant Princes.” He forced himself to smile. “And besides, what would be the point of all those visions where I find myself drowning in the open seas?”

“It is not a good idea to laugh at foresight.” Elendil was not smiling back. “You cannot know how these things may come to pass until it is too late.”

“You are right, of course”, Amandil conceded, placatingly. That is also why it cannot be trusted, and if you do not trust something, you might as well not take it seriously, he could have also said, but it was not among the things that Elendil wanted or needed to hear at the moment. As a matter of fact, he wondered if there was any of those things left to say, or if it was time to drop the conversation altogether.

Then, he remembered something else.

“Elendil, there is a task that will fall to you after I am gone. It does not seem as if our efforts against the Cave in the Council meeting have availed us more than any of the previous instances.”

The younger man nodded solemnly.

“No.”

“This means that our people are still at risk from attacks, and as soon as the Cave hears that I am gone, I am afraid they will be back in strength, and do plenty of harm, in spite of their empty promises.”

“No.”

“That is… what?” Amandil stared, wondering if Elendil had been so distracted thinking of his impending departure for the mainland that he had not even been listening to his words. But his son’s countenance was as serious as it was attentive, and no apologetic look crossed his features.

“I said that no, that they will not be able to do more harm, or so I hope.” Now that he looked closer at him, Amandil noticed that Elendil seemed proud about something, something which had only left the forefront of his mind when forcibly pushed away by the recent circumstances. Still, now that the subject had come up, he could detect that the younger man had been waiting to say this for a long time. “Before I came from Andúnië for this Council meeting, I already suspected, like you did, that it was going to be pointless. Since you were going to be away, as I believed, in Armenelos, I decided that a contingency plan was needed.”

“A contingency plan.” Amandil arched his eyebrow. “Yours, I suppose?”

“Well, not exactly mine.” There might be a trace of sheepishness in his son’s countenance now, but it might as well have been his imagination, because the next moment it was not there anymore. “As a matter of fact, it was Ashad’s idea.”

Ashad?” Shocked, he leaned forwards, and his hand went into the puddle of wine. He cursed. “Ashad had an idea, and you decided to implement it?”

“It needed a few modifications, but it was good”, Elendil argued. “Rest assured, Father, I am not planning to fail.”

Back at him, then, for his words earlier. Amandil supposed that he deserved it.

“You know how precarious our position is, and how anything you may do can be considered the start of a personal war between the house of Andúnië and the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay.”

“Yes.”

Now, Amandil was the one who was at loss for words.

“If you do not… if anything should…”

“Father, weren’t you saying moments before that I would have to be left in charge of this? Well, I am in charge. If you do not like the idea, all you have to do is…” He stopped sharply, as if realizing he had taken the wrong turn, then carefully schooled his features back to his usual serious expression. “Trust me, and I will trust you.”

Amandil sighed. It was not how he had expected the conversation to unfold.

“Fair enough.” he grumbled. “I suppose I am allowed to know about the main points of this plan, at least? Since I am the lord of Andúnië?”

“About that.” Elendil stood up, carefully avoiding the spilled wine, and stepped down from the veranda to set foot in the garden. Even from there, he towered over Amandil. “It is a key element of the plan that the lord of Andúnië can sincerely claim that he knew nothing about it.”

And before Amandil could even utter another word, he left.

 

*     *     *     *    *

 

“Tar Palantir, Favourite of the Powers, Protector and guardian of Númenor and its colonies!”, the herald’s voice rung loftily from the doorstep. The Princess Melkyelid and Lord Ithobal looked up in unison from the scroll she was showing him, quickly turning away from the table to sink into a deep bow. Their attendants followed their example, and for a moment the rustle of silks and sound of hurried footsteps broke the pleasant quiet of the room.

Gimilkhâd did not bow. As he watched his brother enter, his expression was one of indifference, briefly crossed by a wince of disgust at how boorishly fast he walked the distance between the doorstep and his ivory table.

“Do mine eyes deceive me, or has the King set foot on my chambers? That is unusual. Oh, stop grovelling.” He shook his head critically at his wife and foster brother. “You know how he detests ceremony, it makes him feel uncomfortable since he was a child.”

Tar Palantir was not there to trade barbs or engage in petty retorts. He had dispensed with that early on in his life, almost as early as he had dispensed with feelings of brotherly affection, leaving very little common ground between the Prince of the South and himself. Unfortunately, now and then it was still necessary to hold a conversation.

“I am here to discuss your son.”

“Our son?” Melkyelid was not bowing anymore. “Is there a problem with him, my lord King?”

“Yes, there is. He keeps flaunting my orders and my decrees and doing things which have been expressly forbidden.”

“Please, have a seat”, Gimlkhâd offered. “What has he done now?”

Palantir rejected the offer with a quelling look.

“I decreed that there would be no more triumphal processions in Númenor, no more collection of spoils, or executions of prisoners. If violence should be needed to protect our people, this does not mean it should be glorified, and the destruction of fellow Men is never a true victory. Now, I have previously given him the benefit of the doubt, as he is often deep inland and communications can be difficult, but I cannot turn a blind eye no longer.” Before either of the parents could open their mouths again, he continued. “There is another fleet in Sor, full of enemy prisoners, weapons, exotic animals and trinkets. Again, he pretends not to have read a single word of what I have decreed and sends me his compliments, plus a cage of talking birds as a personal present for the Princess of the West. As he was sound of mind and did not lack any wits the last time I could check, I must conclude that he is wilfully being insolent.”

Gimilkhâd looked as if he wished to laugh, but even he would not dare go that far.

“That is terrible. It must have been a misunderstanding. Do you think it would it be possible to send them back?”

“This is the third time that he does it. And each time he does, the commotion in Sor reaches Armenelos! A fleet with entire ships full of dangerous tribesmen is not a letter that you can send here and there at your convenience, without anybody being the wiser as to its contents.”

“I have an idea. Maybe you could send them to the Andustar, where former rebels and criminals live a happily reformed life tilling the fields.”

This remark caused Lord Ithobal to let go of a gasp, audible in the silence of the room. Tar Palantir’s eyes narrowed, and his voice became very quiet.

“I see you, Gimilkhâd. I see you, and I see your son, and I know what you both want. And neither of you can afford to become my enemy, so you will write to your son now and you will order him to stop.”

Gimlkhâd had never been able to withstand his glance. However, he had grown more adept at pretending that he was looking at something more interesting elsewhere in the room.

“And in what official capacity will I write this?” he asked.

“In the official capacity of father.”

“That doesn’t carry as much weight nowadays as it used to.” Was he trying to provoke him again? For a moment, Palantir was not sure, as his brother had no ground to stand on in that matter. If Míriel had caused trouble with her marriage, Gimilkhâd had had to suffer Pharazôn to befriend the leader of the Faithful. “If you had raised this matter in the Council session…”

“Out of deference for our ties of kinship, I opted for giving you the chance to solve this issue in private.” And I shall never give you the opportunity to pretend that Pharazôn’s is being unfairly prosecuted for his heroic feats in front of the Council of Númenor. “I expect that you will not waste it.”

“We will not, my lord King.” Melkyelid intervened. She looked like the perfect picture of a concerned mother – and she was, as far as Palantir’s eyes could read, except that there was always something else lurking behind this concern, something he could never quite lay his finger upon. “I will also write to him. As his mother, I have often indulged him too much, and I am afraid this is my fault more than it is the fault of his father.”

Her age was beginning to show, he noticed idly. She no longer was the intimidating mainland beauty who had stood on the prow of her ship in the harbour of Romenna so many years ago, and even the radiance of her golden brow seemed to have dimmed. Once, she may have wished for her son to be his successor, but she had to know that she could not possibly live to see it even if it happened. Unless her appearance was deceiving, and she was also conspiring with her kin, the Merchant Princes of Gadir, to bring the shadow of civil war upon Númenor.

“I will have no more blood spilled on this sacred island. “Tar Palantir made a pause, to wait for the double meaning of his statement to sink in, then continued. “I will send those ships back to Umbar, and he can take the spoils back, too. We are not bandits or scavengers. Tell him that.”

“Maybe I should tell the enemy, too, so they would stop fighting us.” Gimilkhâd smiled brightly, but his eyes were hollow. “And send another letter to Pelargir, where your friend Amandil seems to be getting ready to kick over the proverbial beehive. I am sure that they will be happy to know how civilized we are, and receive him with open arms. That would be such a relief for everybody.”

“It may well be that the barbarians are not as stupid as you believe them to be. “Palantir retorted. “I am confident that Lord Amandil will be able to get to the bottom of the reason why the mainland has suddenly become a beehive, as you say, and take the steps needed to bring back peace. Something your son may not have cared enough to try.”

Gimlkhâd opened his mouth as if he intended to make a retort, but his wife surreptitiously laid a hand on his knee, and he closed it again. Such a pity, Palantir thought. He may very well have goaded his brother into admitting various kinds of treason by now if it wasn’t for her.

Would they be able to afford losing her before they made their move?

Could that possibly force their hand?

As his brother’s courtiers bowed to him across the chambers, galleries and corridors of the South Wing, Tar Palantir wondered for the millionth time what was it in the Princess of the South’s smile that eluded him.

A Nest of Vipers

Read A Nest of Vipers

Amandil sat on the vantage point of a high dune, watching in mindless concentration as white grains of sand trickled between his fingers. Behind him, the noise of axes falling, hammers knocking and saws cutting wood broke what had once been the quiet enchantment of the place, dulling the rhythmic sound of the currents, and frightening the seagulls into a frenzy of restless cries. Since their arrival, those birds were often seen flying in circles above their heads, calling to each other as if trying to muster their courage to attack them and recover their homeland, but never building a strong enough resolve to do it. It was an interesting metaphor for many of the goings-on in the mainland since the times of Tar-Ancalimon, if maybe not entirely apt for the matter at hand, he mused idly.

“What is it?” he asked the man whose footsteps had come to a crunching halt on the sand behind him.

“My lord, the wall around the Old Harbour is finished. As it is not tall enough to prevent climbing, it has been suggested it would be a good idea to reinforce them with iron spikes. There are spare arrows from our weapons store…”

“Do it”, Amandil nodded. The venerable ruins of Pelargir, with their ancient defences, did not appear to give his men any feeling of security, and neither did the river flanking them or the marshy territory around. They knew, as well as he did, that they were the enemy here, in a world that did not belong to them.

Again, he gazed downstream, in the direction of the invisible island which stretched beyond the horizon, ensconced by the tranquil waters of the Bay of Belfalas. They must have received his reply at least the night before, but there was no ship coming his way, carrying dignitaries, emissaries, or at least another reply. It was not like the merchants to sit on a message for so long. If they were out of their depths for once, unsettled by his presence, this could only mean that their resolve would be deadlier, once it was reached.

Amandil had never intended to stop over in Gadir, to become their guest and wait for their henchmen to poison his dinner or kill him in his sleep. In spite of their protestations of hospitality and friendship, he had sailed directly to the ruins of the old harbour, where he immediately set to the task of transforming the most useful spot into a fortified military encampment before the folk of Mordor or one of their allies could try an incursion down the river. Then, and only then, he had proceeded to send his “hosts” word that he was ready to receive them there. It might be that they would refuse, as they were too clever to deliberately fall into enemy hands, but in that case they would fall under the accusation of lack of cooperation, and they would have to explain themselves to the King.

The King. He sighed. Tar Palantir had created this entire situation because of his obsession with bringing this landscape of ruins back to life. If this was important enough to warrant the destruction of Gadir, the imperilment of the supply routes of Númenor, to the temporal advantage of Mordor, and the death of Amandil himself, that was something only the holder of the Sceptre could be a judge of, and all that Amandil could do was hope that he was right. As easily as he donned another outfit after an audience, he had reverted to the matter-of-fact attitude of the soldier who went where he was deployed and fought those he was told to. Elendil could not understand this attitude or share it, but, then again, Elendil might have lived an obscure life, but he had always been allowed to choose the path that he thought was right.

“They are coming.”

“Who?” Lost in his musings, it took him a moment to regain his bearings and focus on the man at his side. As he did so, he was pointed towards a distant purple dot gliding over the lower delta of the river. A ship, with the gaudily coloured sails so favoured by the Merchant Princes.

“Very well. Let us prepare for the audience”, he said, struggling to his feet and turning back towards the area of the encampment.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It would have been madness to meet the enemy with anything less than a sizeable escort, not merely because he was meant to impress upon them that the might of the Sceptre was on his side, but also because of the crudest of reasons: he might be set upon and murdered, and his assassins would be able to escape before anyone even noticed what had happened. So, when Amandil stood on the riverbank to receive the emissaries, he was surrounded by two hundred men in full armour, as many as the small space could comfortably contain. They stood still, waiting for the ship to release the boats, and for a moment, even the noises of the construction site gave way to a tense silence, only broken by the seagulls’s cries.

At long last, the first boat was lowered. It was larger than those Amandil was used to, with a purple canopy on the back to protect someone from the unpleasantness of the weather. As it reached the shore, four people disembarked at once, and for a while they seemed very busy trying to manoeuvre the person in the back out of the boat. Slowly, they put him on a chair, and heaved it over the railing and onto solid ground.

Amandil stared, not daring to believe his eyes. The man on the chair was extremely old and fat, and it did not seem like he could walk. His wrinkled brow showed traces of a golden complexion that he had seen before, in a man who was his enemy in the Council of Númenor, but also in a Princess whose meddling had saved his life once, and in his dearest friend.

Magon the Old.

“How can that old geezer still be alive?” someone whispered close to him. A rumble of murmurations arose as the men realized the identity of the newcomer, a man who had once been renowned in Númenor as the richest of the Merchant Princes, and the first of them to sit in the Council under Ar-Sakalthôr.

The Prince of the South’s father in law, and grandfather to Prince Pharazôn.

“Lord Amandil of Andúnië, lord of the Andustar, appointed legate of King Palantir, Protector of Númenor and the Colonies and Favourite of the Powers!” the herald announced. Magon raised his chin a little, and as he blinked several times, Amandil realized that his eyes were swollen and webbed. He remembered having seen this affliction in Middle-Earth barbarians before, and that those affected by it usually went blind after a time, but Magon seemed to be looking for an angle from which he could look at him.

“I am Magon”, he said, simply. His voice was hoarse, his breath laboured. “Is there a p-place where I could rest? The sun is k-killing me, and I n-need something to d-drink.” He made a long pause, as if to gather air. “An old man should not be made to go here and th-there by the whims of youngsters, but that is wh-what the world has come to.”

Amandil did not know what to say. It was as if all carefully crafted words had suddenly abandoned his brain, leaving a desert wasteland in their wake.

Damn those thrice-cursed merchant fiends! Was this how they intended to counter-attack? Delivering a man who was closer to death than to life into his hands, no… an ancient relative of the royal family who could die at any moment, while they remained in the safety of their own island, refusing to meet him? How despicable could they be?

Feeling strangely defeated, he lowered his face until it was in line with Magon’s.

“Greetings, my lord. I am very thankful and honoured by your presence. If you come with us, we will give you food and water, and a place to rest, though I will have to apologize in advance for the humbleness of my current abode.”

“Th-thanks, lord Amandil.”

For a moment, and though he may have imagined it in his current state of shock, he could see the bloated eyes alight with a brief spark of cunning.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“They will not come.” Amandil paced around his tent, clumsily propped on the stone wall of what used to be a marketplace. “They have sent him as their emissary, and if I complain about it, they will claim that he is the highest ranked man in the island and pretend I am being unreasonable.”

“But what are we expected to make out of him?” Adunazer sat, watching his movements with an angry look. “If we discuss business with him, he will fall asleep. If we keep him hostage, he might die on us. By the Valar, we could treat him as we would treat the King himself, and he might die on us anyway! A military camp among ruins is not the place for a man of his age. How could they do such a thing to him? Do they even have a heart? He is the most illustrious of all their citizens, and they will not even allow him the mercy of spending his remaining time in peace!”

“Oh, I do not know about that.” Amandil stopped for a moment, allowing his brow to curve in a frown. He had only held a couple of conversations with Magon since he arrived, but a clearer picture was beginning to form in his head. “I believe that he volunteered for this.”

Volunteered?” Adunazer cried, in obvious disbelief. “But, my lord…”

“The Faithful are not the only ones with the will and ability to sacrifice themselves for their objectives.” Amandil interrupted him. “He doesn’t have long to live, and he knows it. I would not put it past him to have decided to sacrifice himself for the city that he ruled for so long.”

Adunazer seemed to ponder this for a moment, but he shook the thought away as if he believed it could bite him.

“In any event, what do we do now?”

Amandil shrugged.

“Exactly what we were doing until now. The King wishes to start building next year at the latest, and by then the area needs to be clean and free of trouble.”

“But…”

“They would never have cooperated. If they had, I would not have trusted their offers of information, and they knew it. I could have tried threatening them, but I would never be sure of whether it was working or they were simply pretending to go along with it. This way, it is easier, in a sense. My hands are not tied.”

“We have no idea of the situation in the area. We lack intelligence.”

“Then, let us set to gather our own before we act. Meanwhile, we still have plenty of building to do. “Amandil sighed. “The next objective will be a proper house for Magon.”

“What if he does die?”

If he dies, his son-in-law and his nephew are going to milk this for all it is worth, and then more.

“If he dies, it will be the will of the Creator. His body will be sent back to his relatives for burial.”

Relatives. Pharazôn was a relative, Amandil remembered almost belatedly. Should he send a letter to him, inform him that his ailing grandfather had been brought to him in this manner? Or perhaps he already knew, and was in with his family’s machinations? Amandil ‘s instinct was to rebel against this thought, as the Pharazôn he knew would never approve of sending a frail old man to fight his battles, no matter the reason. But then again, the Pharazôn he knew had disappeared in Umbar long ago, and never came back. Now and then, to the King’s great displeasure, his bloody spoils reached the Island, each of them a small rebellion against Tar-Palantir’s attempts to bury him in oblivion, together with all that he represented. What dark thoughts might have crossed his friend’s mind through these last years was something that only a man who had been in his situation once could begin to imagine. And what Amandil imagined was not always encouraging.

“Then, I will have to make sure that nobody second-guesses the Creator while we are here”, Adunazer grumbled, standing up. “By your leave, my lord.”

Lost in a disheartening train of thoughts, Amandil barely acknowledged the former Andúnië Guard’s departure.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“They are coming! They are coming!” The rider was dressed in pilgrim garb, and there was a green bough in his hand, which he waved as if it was a spear. Around him, in the small town square, a large commotion greeted his words as the villagers who brought in the day’s work dropped their loads, and those who were at practice grabbed their makeshift weapons and ran towards the source of the noise.

“Hey, hey, calm down! Calm down! Leave the horse some space!” Somehow, Ashad managed to push past the throng, until he stood in front of the agitated mount, who for a moment seemed about to trample him. Without showing the slightest hesitation, he grabbed it by the reins, and pulled until he could encircle its neck with both arms. The horse neighed, but stood still. “What news from the Cave?”

“I was at the sanctuary this morning, and I managed to sneak into the stables. Pretended I’d lost my way. One stablehand was saying that they needed to have them horses ready for the next incursion, and that they would ride in the morning. That is next morning”, he clarified. “I’ve been riding nonstop since then, didn’t even stop to have a bite, honest!”

“Good job”, Ashad grinned. “Now, did you all hear what he said? They are not coming as of yet! You can pick all that stuff up and go back to what you were doing, and then you can go to bed early. It is tomorrow we have to be ready for.”

The village spy dismounted, and began wolfing down a piece of oily bread offered to him by an old woman. Around them, everything slowly started to go back to a semblance of normalcy, though the murmurations did not cease. A thrill of nervous excitement seemed to have descended upon the community, rendering them unable to focus in anything else. Even those on duty for practice became increasingly erratic and nervous as the rest began to gather, as if on a common accord, to watch what they were doing and criticise their moves.

“All right, that’s enough! We need to rest for today, to save up our strength for tomorrow!”

“But I am not ready!” A young man, who seemed at the verge of a breakdown as he hit a wooden post over and over, stared at his wooden sword in disgust and threw it to his feet. “It hasn´t even made a dent yet!”

“Never mind that, if this works properly there won’t be need”. A woman forcefully raised a heavy net over her head, which she was carrying with the help of a companion, so everyone could have a good look at it. “And by the Baalim, that it will!”

“There, she is right. The best you can do now is eat, pray, sleep and trust in the gods and your own work.” Ashad concurred.

In spite of his optimism, however, it was a long time until he could manage to extricate himself from those who sought him for instructions, questions, or merely some last-minute reassurance. When he finally managed to enter the head of the village’s house, he could not prevent the exhaustion from showing in his face as he greeted him from the doorstep.

“So… tomorrow, isn’t it?” the old man asked, sitting on a chair and silently offering Ashad another. Amal, his daughter, rushed to the young man’s side, kissed him in the forehead and proceeded to serve him a bowl of soup.

“I am proud of you, my love. I am sure that everything will be fine.”

“Yes, yes, but why is the last to arrive the first to get dinner around here?” her father demanded grumpily. “Doesn’t even the lord carry enough weight around these parts, by all’s sake?”

“I carried some weight this morning, but then he insisted that I could be spotted from afar if they decided to send any spies, so I have been cooped here for the rest of the day, and I am not particularly hungry. “Elendil intervened. “And for the last time, I am not the lord, my father is.”

“Well, this is very good!” Ashad uttered, with his mouth completely full. “Could I have some more? They may not be hungry, but I am!”

“Damn Southron barbarians”, the old man groaned in disgust. His daughter gave him a reproachful glance.

“He is my husband-to-be, Father, and the saviour of this village. You should not speak of him in this manner!”

“I was only joking! Of course I am content with what I am given.” In some regret, Ashad pushed the half-empty bowl away. “And you should also set this aside for the gods, we need their help for tomorrow.”

“The Valar”, Elendil corrected mechanically. Even after having his own food served, he barely ate, his grey eyes set on some undetermined spot of the wooden table.

“You look worried”, Ashad whispered confidentially, once Amal and her father had both absented themselves. The first had gone to wash the bowls in the back yard, and the second was setting the remaining food beside an altar where the statues of Manwë and Varda sat side by side, twin stars upon their brows. “Are you having second thoughts about trusting me?”

“Eh? No, you are doing admirably.” Elendil rose from the chair, and sat on the floor next to the empty fireside, stretching his enormous legs as well as he was able in such a cramped space. “In spite of your origins, you earned the trust and the respect of an entire village of Númenóreans, the love of their fairest woman and the approval of her father. I am impressed.”

Ashad’s face became so red that even with his dark skin and the lack of light, it was easily noticeable.

“I did not… well, when you put it that way… ah, curse it! I was just following orders when I came here. I arrived with all the armed men from Andúnië, and of course the priests chickened out and retreated. Then I helped them save some of the crops and rebuild the houses, because that was expected of me, but as far as she is concerned, I did everything singlehandedly, defeated their leader in battle and re-founded their village.”

“It was not expected of you to stay here, come up with a plan and involve all these people in it.”

“Well, I hope they wait for it to work at least, before they crown me Ashad I the Magnificent.” The young man looked over his shoulder to check that the other inhabitants of the house were still busy with their things, and then sat on his knees next to Elendil. His voice was lowered to a whisper again. “Actually, you know… even after I had helped them, most still saw me as just a barbarian. They only changed their minds because I had your support. Otherwise, they would have dismissed my plan as a dangerous madman’s scheme. In fact, I still wonder about… well…”

“You wonder whether my father also thought your plan a dangerous madman’s scheme”, Elendil guessed. “The answer is no, or he would have put a stop to it. He trusts you as much as I do.”

Ashad smiled widely, and Elendil was satisfied with the visible effects of this half-truth in his morale. It was never wise to fuel the doubts of a commander on the eve of battle.

“But then, what are you worried about?”

The heir of Andúnië sighed. That boy from Harad had many fine qualities, but he had always been annoyingly persistent - like his people, he had heard others say.

“I am not worried. From what I have gathered, however, Amal is, and I believe you have a duty towards her now.”

“Oh, I will have enough time to comfort her tonight” Ashad grinned, winningly. Elendil shook his head.

“I should caution you against letting her father hear that. You are only betrothed.”

“Hear what?” Ashad looked like the perfect picture of innocence, and even he had to smile. No, there was nothing censorious to be found in the love between two people who had chosen each other, no matter how suspiciously it was treated by the rest of the world. If he could never know that feeling, he was glad that at least Ashad had managed to.

For a while, they remained in silence, only broken by the splash of water as Amal emptied the washing bucket in the backyard.

“When I was a child, I saw the lord Amandil fighting as a captain of the army in Harad, and then in the Middle Havens when he was posted there. He took part in plenty of battles and as many ambushes, and he always came out victorious. He is a great warrior. Many tried to kill him, but nobody could.”

Elendil stared at the younger man, not knowing whether to be annoyed or amused.

“So, you think you have read me. And you even have a solution to offer.”

For once, Ashad had the grace to look abashed.

“I am sorry, I just thought… I don’t know a solution, but I thought I could… help somehow”, he finished, lowering his glance. “Oh, damn. I don´t even remember my parents. I suppose it’s better like that, since they died fighting Lord Amandil’s people, and it would be terrible to have to bear a grudge against the only person I remember raising me. But he is not my father, either, so I should shut my mouth now.”

Of the many difficult things in the world, to be angry at Ashad was perhaps not on par with stopping the Wave of his kinsmen’s dreams or finding love, but, Elendil thought ruefully, it might be a close third.

“I understand and appreciate your intent. Now, go find your lady and enjoy a well-deserved rest.” He forced his voice back into a flippant tone, which had always come hard to him. “I will keep her father distracted.”

The young man bowed exaggeratedly.

“As you wish, my lord.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Dawn came earlier than ever for the restless village, most of whose inhabitants had been too nervous about the incoming battle to catch much sleep. The cock’s crow, however, had never roused these peasants faster than it did that day, and it seemed that mere instants after it was first heard the town square was already bustling with people who ran here and there, finishing their preparations, carrying materials, or distributing food for those who hadn’t had time for breakfast.

From his vantage point, Elendil was impressed, in spite of himself, at the effectivity of the proceedings. Each person, man or woman, and even the children, knew what they had to do, where they had to hide, and what part of the plan was their responsibility. When the lookout made the signal -the song of a nightingale, repeated thrice- the square was already deserted.

Soon afterwards, they heard the horses, their hooves trampling the pavement of the small path that crossed the forest towards the village. One, two, three…twenty horsemen, at the very least. No, twenty-two, Elendil corrected himself as they emerged from the foliage and entered the crops. It occurred to him that it would be a setback for their plan if they decided to just burn the crops without entering the village first, but thankfully that did not seem to be what they had in mind. Ashad’s instincts had been sound.

“Where is everyone?” one of them asked. His voice resonated from afar in the empty space.

“Probably in the fields, working”, another replied.

“I didn’t see people in the fields. And besides, not all of them would have gone.”

“They could be hiding. Or they could have left the village and stopped trying to settle Cave lands!” the second man laughed.

“I don’t know. In that case, would they have rebuilt the houses? I have a feeling that…”

Before the priest could elaborate on what his suspicions were, however, many things happened at once. First, Ashad gave the signal from his vantage point on the rooftop of the house, and the large net was deployed. As it fell on the bunch of horsemen who were closest to them, they yelled in surprise and struggled, but the villagers pulled the ropes and it tightened around them, causing two of them to fall from their horses and roll on the ground with shrieks of terror, trying to avoid a kick in the head.

The rest of the horsemen retreated in a panicked jumble, veering away from the path as they did so. Several of them suddenly saw the ground disappear from beneath the hooves of their horses, and fell on the trap holes. As soon as they saw them lying there, a second contingent of villagers emerged from their hiding places, ready to knock them out. There were only about a dozen left, who, after a moment of hesitation, realizing that they were being pelted by stones and spears, decided to flee the improvised battleground.

That was the moment when they entered the forest.

“We have them!” Ashad shouted. A chorus of fierce yells rang in the morning sky.

That was the beginning of the final stage of the plan. The largest, and better trained segment of the population had been hiding in the forest, dressed in brown and their faces covered in mud “like the Forest People did in the Middle Havens”, as Ashad had illustrated them. Taking advantage of the panic of their would-be attackers and their disorderly retreat, they fell upon them and unhorsed them, throwing projectiles at their heads, scaring the mounts into dropping their riders down or even, the bravest and most skilled among them, jumping at them from the branches. After a very short fight, all of them had been either disarmed, knocked out, or made prisoner.

Elendil took a long, sharp breath as the ambushers carried the priests back to the village, to the square where the rest of the villagers had been fishing the rest from the nets and the holes. He had assessed the plan favourably, but he had not imagined it would be so successful, and so fast. In a hurry, he retreated inside the house, so none of them would be able to catch a glimpse of him and recognize his face.

“The enemy is ours! Victory!”

Ashad stood on his rooftop, waving a spear. For a moment, he looked like the very picture of a fierce enemy of Númenor, thin, dark-skinned and warlike, but that was not what the villagers appeared to be seeing. From every corner of the place, from every rooftop and from every house, a cry of victory arose.

“What is the meaning of this?” One of the priests, who seemed like the leader, looked furious after being extricated from the net which had immobilized him. His ear was bleeding profusely. “How dare you hire barbarians to steal the lands of the Cave? Let us go at once, or the High Priest will…!”

“The High Priest can come and get you himself, as long as you pay back for everything you have destroyed. “Ashad grinned, to a general cheer of approval. He seemed to be enjoying this. “If he doesn’t… well, maybe you have been told what we Haradrim do to our prisoners.”

The priest’s face was white now.

“I demand to speak to your lord! Only he can decide what happens in his lands!”

“Did you say his lands?” Ashad laughed, and the villagers with him. “I like that. Say it louder!”

“I regret to tell you, but the lord of Andúnië is in Middle-Earth now”, the old head of the village intervened, standing on the doorstep of the house. “You cannot speak to him.”

“His son, then!”

“The Lord Elendil is in Andúnië. He is very busy and we would not disturb him with our lowly problems. If your High Priest wishes to complain to him, he may do so, but I advise him not to be uncivil about it, if he values your lives.” Elendil could detect the humour in Ashad’s voice. “And know this, priest: from now on, we will take care of our own villages, and our crops. And you are never going to destroy anything again.”

The cheering shook the skies for a second time. Elendil pressed his forehead against the wall, and for a moment, he choked on a glorious outburst of liberating laughter.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Are you sure you do not need an escort, my lord?”

Elendil took the bridles from the old villager’s hands, and solemnly shook his head.

“My escort is waiting at an inn in the main road. Once I am back with them, I have to pretend I have been travelling from Armenelos. The more unnoticed I manage to pass until I meet them, the best it will serve all of us, so it will be wiser if I go alone. Except…” His eyes focused on Ashad, who was holding the hand of his young bride. “You are of course welcome to return to Andúnië with me, if you so wish.”

“I am very grateful for your hospitality, my lord, but I wish to stay here and help her people.”

Elendil shook his head, looking deeply into his eyes.

“It is not hospitality, Ashad. You were not entirely right last night. You may not be joined to us by blood, but there are ties between the house of Andúnië and you, and they will remain after you have children, and your children have children.” The young man looked down, in a sudden, clumsy attempt to hide his feelings from the eyes of others. “I respect your choice, but if you ever change your mind, we will be waiting for you and your family.”

“That is such a moving thing to say!” Amal gave him a watery smile. “Ashad and I will always remember those words.”

“Well, I have to hurry now, if I wish to be in Andúnië when the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay begins sending angry letters. I have half a mind to leave for Armenelos again so he will have to send his messengers twice, except that it would not be fair to you if you had to feed your prisoners for any longer than you need to.” As he mounted the horse, Elendil sought the old village head one last time. “Remember to call for help if you are pressured in any way. I do not believe that they will risk the lives of their own people, but you must not overdo it, or their honour will force them to retaliate. And that goes for you too, Ashad.”

“You can always trust me to behave with discretion”, the young man replied with a grin. Elendil smiled back, waving away.

Trust. That, he thought as he took the small path between the wheat fields, had been the real test he had passed today, and it had been a difficult one. The worry Ashad had detected the previous night had not been mere concern for his father who risked his life away in a distant land, but a struggle against the part of himself who did not wish to leave anything in the hands of others. Since he was young, he had been in charge of his own fate, and he never had the need to delegate, much less sit down and do nothing while others took care of his dirty work. But now this, too, had changed. He was in charge of lands, of people, which ironically meant that he could not do everything on his own, and he had found that trusting in others was like letting go of a lifeline, when the current pulled him towards the deep. It evoked a visceral fear, as vertiginous as it was strong and unyielding. For all this time, he had been fighting against it, almost overwhelmed by its intensity as he sat inside the cottage, hidden and unarmed, but in the end, he had triumphed over it.

He could do it. Ashad was not the only one who had succeeded in something.

Trust me, and I will trust you.

Yes, Father, he thought. I will trust you. I will stop worrying, prying, second-guessing, and just trust you. Middle-Earth is your arena, and you know what to do.

That night, he told himself, he would make himself sleep.

 

In the Shadow of Mordor

Read In the Shadow of Mordor

“I am here to see the lord Magon”. Amandil waited for the servant’s nod of recognition, and followed as he was motioned upstairs to the main chamber of the house. The wooden planks of the floor creaked under the weight of the heavy boots he wore, a preliminary for the full armour he would be donning before his imminent departure.

“Lord Magon. Lord Magon”. The servant stopped briefly before the threshold, his head peeking through a red curtain which was always drawn for privacy. “The Lord of Andúnië is here.”

Amandil could not hear the reply, but there should have been some kind of sign, for the curtain was opened before him. As he entered the room, he had to brace himself for the heavy air, filled with the scented smoke of incense, which was rendered almost unbreathable by the closed windows. Trying not to cough, he approached the couch and saluted the man who lay there.

“Your medicines arrived this morning.”

Magon the Older craned his neck like he always did, trying to find an angle from where he could look at his interlocutor. Familiar enough with this arduous procedure, Amandil sat next to him, which usually made things easier, and extended the ivory cask that he had been carrying under his left arm.

“Here. I believe this was for the eyes, and this… no, this! for rheumatism in the joints.”

The old man nodded slowly, then pointed at a small red silk bag, exhaling a strong smell of spice.

“This.”

“Very well.” The servant had been hovering behind them during this short conversation. Before Amandil could even make a signal, the Gadirite was already behind him, hand extended to receive the bag of powder. It was a deep red colour, the lord of Andúnië realized as it was carefully measured and decanted into a cup of water. For all year, he had seen many different medicines being delivered from the island, following the old merchant’s requests, as he had brought them to his house and sometimes even prepared them himself, but this one was new. A new ailment must have joined the ever-growing list which preyed on the frail body of his illustrious guest.

“You can retire now. Give the medicine to me”, he ordered Magon’s servant. The barge from Gadir had departed a while ago, and there was no further danger of messages being exchanged. Still, the man bowed and departed so fast that Amandil had to wonder if he was scheming something, or if it was merely the unsupportable smell of the room what he was trying to flee.

Magon’s hands trembled as he made to take the cup from Amandil. Knowing by now what he had to do, the lord of Andúnië did not let go, and pressed on, politely but firmly, until the cup reached the old man’s lips.

“Th-thanks. Red bark of the godstree from Khand, c-clears the mind, five thousand gold from the Númenor imports, two and four hundred from Umbar.” He glared at Amandil. “L-lost a shipment. Bandits, they say. At least two thousand lost. Incompetent fools!”

“Indeed. Was this recent?” Amandil frowned, feigning interest, though he knew very well that Magon’s dotage did not leave any openings for the seeking of valuable information. As soon as he detected that he was being pumped for it, he became as clear-headed as he should have been back when he sat in Ar Gimilzôr’s council.

Sometimes, Amandil had to wonder if he was being fooled for the sake of the old man’s amusement.

“Y-you going s-somewhere? S-so much n-noise outside. D-didn’t let me sleep.”

“I apologize for the disturbance, lord Magon. Yes, I am finally leaving today. We are going to travel upriver towards the land of the Arnians and inspect the entire supply route to the final outposts, and hopefully we will root out the disruptions once and for all.”

It had taken more than a year, but at last the long and tedious groundwork had been accomplished, if not to his entire satisfaction, at least close to it. If the courtiers and nobles who spoke of the “Bay of Gadir” as if it was the Forbidden Bay of Númenor had to read a list of the names of all the villages, tribes, peoples, chieftains, sorcerers and so-called-kings who inhabited this vast land, they would be begging for mercy halfway through it. If they also had to engage in long diplomatic exchanges with every one of them, demanding assurances, hostages, and the signature of treaties that had to be repeatedly translated, transformed, emendated to include more gods, more names, or changed into terms that everyone could understand, they might begin to see the simple wisdom of their ancestors, who retreated to the Island and left Middle-Earth to its own devices. And those had been the places where diplomacy had gained the upper hand, which was not always the case. Especially in the mountainous areas, the natives were much better disposed towards killing Númenóreans than they were towards talking to them. The self-styled Dark Lord of Mordor, on his part, had not been included in any talks, nor shown the slightest inclination in participating in them. The presence of his kingdom bordering a large part of the land that Amandil would have to travel across was enough to make the bravest general extremely nervous. He could only pray that King Xaron’s loyalty to the Númenóreans had remained as steadfast as that of his father, the late King Xaris the Third of Arne, and that he was not double-crossing his faraway allies to win security from his close neighbour.

Magon, of course, had used his dotage as a shield to protect any precious information he might have had, and placidly watched Amandil plough on as he attempted to reconstruct all the pieces and come up with his own conclusions. Whether the Merchant Princes had orchestrated all this unrest, or whether they were merely passive victims of it, and expected the King to waste his time and strength solving their mess, Amandil would never know by talking to him. Their conversations were filled with other things, like pointless ramblings about a former lifetime organizing trade through a net of associates that spread across Island and mainland, equally pointless reminiscing on his daughters, and, sometimes, less pointless exchanges when Magon deigned to acknowledge his and Amandil’s previous history together. Amandil remembered how unnerved he had been the first time they had touched upon the subject of the old merchant’s hand in his many childhood ordeals, only to realize that Magon expected him to justify them.

“Children are innocent. H-harming children is a t-terrible thing. But ch-children grow older. Look at you n-now! You are the enemy.”

“I am not your enemy, lord Magon. I am working for the good of Númenor under the will of the Sceptre, and so are you.” Amandil had argued, trying to keep his cool. “What you did back then was evil, and has no justification.”

“Look at you now”, Magon repeated, then closed his eyes as if he was done proving his point. Amandil had to exert all his willpower not to shake him awake.

“I may be away for a month or two, but you will not lack protection during that time.” Or vigilance, Amandil thought, knowing that the old man could read the thought in his eyes anyway. “A garrison will be left in charge of the camp and the hostages. They will see to your every need, and take care of your medicine shipments as well.”

“That is very k-kind of you, lord Amandil.”

“I am merely doing my duty, lord Magon.” Suddenly aware that he had to get the remainder of the preparations going, Amandil rose. “I will take my leave from you now. Be safe and of good health.”

Magon made a gesture as if pointing at himself, and laughed self-deprecatingly. His laugh turned into a cough. Not for the first time, Amandil wondered if burning so much incense could be good for his already tortured lungs.

“F-farewell, lord Amandil. Until we s-see each other again.”

Or until we don’t, the lord of Andúnië thought, darkly. Trying to calculate who had the highest chances of short-term survival at this point of their lives, however, was a morbid thought, and as such he forced it away from his mind while he fled the fume-infested house.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Have a safe trip, my lord.”

Amandil stopped in his tracks right before he set foot on the plank that would take him to the deck of the long river barge. All around him, the improvised harbour was full of similar boats, each of them bustling with armed Númenóreans, their weapons and their provisions.

Behind him, the wooden palisade that encircled their camp, and all the buildings inside it looked more than ever like an ugly blot in the landscape of venerable ruins, a blemish erupting in the flesh of the beautiful old city of white stone. For a moment, the sight gave him pause, and he felt the first stirrings of a premonition. For they were not the Númenóreans of old, and their works were nothing like theirs, and that was why their efforts to reclaim their lordship among Men through peaceful means were vain and misplaced.

As if to reinforce the gloom of this assessment, the lieutenant in charge of the garrison reached his position at that moment and bowed.

“Rest assured, I will ensure that the hostages remain secure, and that every move of the Gadirites is followed.”

“I trust you to fulfil your role to the best of your ability”, Amandil replied. Without hostages, they would never be able to reach the North unimpeded; this was as certain as it was damning as an evidence of how far they had veered from the idealised relationship with the natives envisioned by Tar-Palantir from his palace in Armenelos. “Do not leave any of Magon’s servants unfollowed, and remember not to let them exchange words with the hostages or with any of the Gadirite sailors who bring the medicines.”

“I will keep that to heart, my lord.”

“I will be departing, then.” Finally crossing the wooden plank, he boarded the barge, and two men lifted it and stored it away. In the chaos of the last preparations, involving the location and organization of the fighters and the rowers on deck, he did not even look at the men who stood lined upon the riverbank, ready to defend their post to the last drop of their blood if things should not go as intended. As he leaned on the railing and saw that they had become a gleaming line, receding in the distance together with fort and ruins, this omission struck him as ominous.

“Orders, my lord?” the ship’s captain asked, two steps behind him. Amandil shook his head, willing himself to stop having dark thoughts that would serve no one.

“Straight ahead to our first stop, the tribe of the Tree People”, he ordered. “We should be there before nightfall.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Praised be the Valar for their thousand blessings and for this drink, which makes one thousand-and-one!” Captain Melek raised his glass, then extended it towards Amandil, who proceeded to extricate it from his hand with a warning glare.

“I said no more drinking, beyond the one glass required for the toast! Have you already forgotten the dangers!”

“Oh.” The man looked a little abashed as the barley liquor was spilled on the ground at his feet, but he still tried to argue. “I am sorry, my lord, but I thought… there is no threat for us here, it is just an agricultural colony, and the natives are friendly! They don’t even know what a sword is!”

Amandil was tempted to sigh. Around them, the welcoming ceremony under the eaves of the main granary had evolved into a lively feast. The attending Númenórean soldiers were armed, but they seemed to have developed a keener interest in showing the local ladies what their weapons could do than in keeping them at the ready.

“That is because they use spears. For the last time, there is no friendship in this lands that we can take for granted! I have seen ambushes start in situations exactly like this one! Now go and tell this bunch of idiots to reassemble and stop drinking. We have to organize the sentries around the boats, and above all, we need sleep, because tomorrow we enter the borders of King Xaron’s land!”

“Very well. I.. I am sorry, my lord.”

Properly apologetic at last, the captain departed towards the bonfire where most of the others had gathered, having grimly accepted the unpleasant task of ending the fun. Amandil watched him from afar, wishing to sit alone in the dark for a while longer.

He could not wholly blame the others for their optimistic assessment of the level of danger. Most of them, excepting the veterans from the garrison of Sor, had not fought in the mainland before now. Too many were fairly recent recruits, plus Amandil’s own men from the Island, who were nowhere near the level of Pharazôn’s Umbar troops. For those inexperienced soldiers, the first weeks of their upriver progress must have seemed like a dream: hailed as protectors and heroes by the agricultural tribes, invited to the ceremonies of the Forest Men, treated deferentially by warrior barbarians armed to their teeth, and offered food and provisions by all. Amandil, however, had seen treachery before, and so he refused to let himself be lured into an unwarranted sense of security. The peoples he had met so far had all struck deals with him and sent hostages. They had protested their innocence, and blamed other, more remote and savage tribes who were allies of the Orcs for the stories they had heard about the pillaging of the supplies. Hearing them speak, anyone would believe that the crisis which had shaken Númenor had been nothing but a rumour that had gone wildly out of hand.

Tomorrow, they would finally be entering the area closest to the borders of Mordor. This region was mostly occupied by the Arnian kingdom, ally of the Númenóreans, whose current dynasty of kings was responsible not only for guaranteeing a sizeable amount of the food shipments to the Island, but also of a far more valuable branch of trade: the precious metals mined in the Northern mountains, needed for jewels, metals, and weapons. Their capital, Arne, was a civilized place, almost as civilized as the Númenórean cities in whose image it had been built, but their alliances had always been struck with the Merchant Princes, not with the Sceptre, which begged the question as to how they would react if their interests should collide. So far, they had seemed polite enough, sending envoys regularly to Amandil in Pelargir and even hostages, a requirement that had not originally been made of them because of their status as old allies. The King was inclined to have a favourable opinion of them because of that, but Amandil was not so certain.

“So, what do we do now, my lord?” Melek was back. He looked flustered, and Amandil had been hearing him shout from the distance. Still, everything seemed quiet enough now, and the feast was dying in the embers of the bonfire, which at that moment was being extinguished by the efforts of several male natives.

“We set the watches, and we sleep”, he replied. “Tomorrow will be a long day.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Mordor was a threatening name when shown in a desk map in Númenor, encircled by its formidable natural defences and watching, like a large bird of prey, over the beautiful lands of the Anduin and the Bay of Belfalas. It was even more threatening when whispered by tribesmen and colonists who lived in perpetual terror of the Dark Lord’s raiding parties, or spoken of as the powerful force behind the leaders of the brutal Haradric uprisings. And yet, Amandil thought as he leaned on the prow of his barge, idly watching his men’s attempts to anchor it to the large stone platform, nothing of this could possibly compare to the instinctive fear evoked by the chain of mountains that seemed to be hanging above their heads now. They did not look like the other mountains they had passed in their journey, not even like the holy Meneltarma, with its peak covered in perpetual snow. Instead, they were dark and repulsive, bereaved of the pleasant greens of vegetation and the gleaming white of snow alike. Their peaks were hidden from sight, crowned by a mass of dark stormclouds, and their slopes had been bared of every tree and blade of grass, displaying instead a formidable array of jagged rocks where an entire army could be lost if they were reckless enough to invade. They could also hide bands of Orcs, whom he easily imagined emerging from their ravines to prey on the unsuspecting population in the long nights of winter.

Upon watching this impenetrable range from up close, Amandil had to wonder if that landscape could have been created naturally like the rest of the world, or if, somehow, the Dark Lord who had made it his abode had been powerful enough to reshape it with his sorcery. According to the ancient legends of his people, Sauron was not a man nor an Elf, but a spirit of great might, of similar nature to the Valar but corrupted to the core. He had once served the real Melkor, the original Dark Lord, in the wars against the Elves of the First Age, and learned many of his secrets, so in theory such a feat could be possible for him. Thinking of this, however, only made Amandil want to despair of the hopeless state of Men. For only the Powers who became corrupted ever became involved in their affairs, to conquer, enslave and destroy them, while the radiant and the good remained hidden in their faraway Forbidden Lands, inaccessible to all. Praying to gods who could see and help them seemed, more than ever, like the only means to survive this madness.

“They are waiting for us in the harbour, my lord.” Adunazer brushed his shoulder tactfully, and this made him return to his senses enough to realize that a mounted party was waiting for them to disembark. Among them, there was a covered palanquin, which he took for a dignitary of the realm coming to welcome the Númenóreans to their soil. At once, he forced himself to discard his pensive demeanour, but not before the other man noticed something.

“It looks threatening, doesn’t it?” he remarked. Amandil did not need to ask what he was referring to.

“As long as he stays there, there is no reason to believe that he does not fear us more than we fear him”, he replied, with a bravado that sounded slightly overdone to his own ears. “Come, let us show ourselves before our gracious hosts.”

The man in the palanquin was emerging from it just as Amandil set foot on the harbour, followed by his main advisors. As always, the herald announced him as the lord of Andúnië, and the legate of Tar-Palantir, Protector of Númenor and the colonies and Favourite of the Powers. The herald from the other party took the cue at once, and announced his lord as his Highness the Prince Noxaris, son of the late King Xaris, High Councillor, Commander of the Armies of the Realm and Main Furnisher of the King’s Palace. Amandil glanced at him curiously, remembering having heard this name before while he was at Pelargir. Then, it dawned upon him: one of the man’s children, a boy, was being held hostage at his camp at this very moment. Since the King himself had produced no proper heirs from his true wife, who was also a close kinswoman of some sort, the children of his brother were highest in the line of succession. From what Amandil had gathered, the boy in Pelargir had at least an older brother, but there was some sort of religious interdiction that forbade the heir to the throne to leave the capital of the realm.

“Prince Noxaris”, he saluted, politely lowering his head. His interlocutor seemed to be of about middle age, between thirty and forty in the reckoning of short-lived barbarians, with strong and sharp features and the fit body of a warrior. Both his finely ornated robes and his carefully shaved face mirrored the most distinguished fashions on the Island.

Noxaris imitated his salute, then sunk to his knees and bowed theatrically.

“Lord Amandil, I humbly salute the power of the Sceptre who sent you to us”, he recited in perfect Adûnaic. “In the name of our King, I bid you welcome to our fair realm. I am to be at your disposition for anything you may require during your trip. We have guides, provisions, safe-conduits and all what is necessary for your inspection tour to the Northern lands.”

“Stand up, please. You need not bow to me, as I come in friendship”, Amandil replied no less theatrically, considering the circumstances. The barbarian prince smiled, allowing himself to be helped to his feet. He was at least a head shorter than he was, he noticed, though he was by no means a short man among his people. Elendil’s height would have probably been a source of awe among them.

“Please, let me offer refreshments to you and all your men before the journey.”

As he spoke, Noxaris pointed in the direction of the small harbour town, largely perched upon a hillside, like all their cities, for defensive purposes. A man who looked like the chief of his retinue promptly offered Amandil his own horse, which he accepted gracefully, but not before signalling to Adunazer that sentries should be left in all the barges. Civilized or not, he was inclined not to trust people who grovelled too much, and the court of Armenelos was a case in point.

The highest part of the hill was occupied by a large, domed stone building, whom Noxaris, through the curtain of his palanquin, declared to be a temple of Eru and Melkor. Amandil did not know whether to be shocked or amused at this pronouncement. The building looked like a miniature version of a Númenórean temple of Melkor, which was probably what it had been until some time ago, when news first reached them of the new Númenórean King’s strange preference for the ancient cult of Eru. However, it had obviously not occurred to them that both gods should be incompatible for any reason, or reluctant to share a dwelling place.

This temple had an annexed house where the priests lived, with a nice inner garden and a private audience room with a view on the surrounding plain. It was to this last spot that the prince led Amandil, after making sure that the men who had followed him were well provided for.

“You do not seem too fond of the view, my lord. I can say, it grows on you after a while”, Noxaris jested, while a servant filled two silver cups with sweet iced wine. Amandil sipped on his, watching the mountains in silence.

“My royal ancestors cleaned this country of Orcs and claimed it for their own. With the help of your people, of course”, the prince insisted after a while. “That is why we do not fear them, because we already defeated them once.”

From what Amandil knew of the history of the area, the Númenóreans in the time of Ar Adunakhôr had allowed this people to settle here and build a kingdom because they needed someone to watch the area for them, and were reluctant to settle so far inland themselves. But as barbarian lives were shorter, so their legends also sprung faster into life, since none was left to remember the truth. Perhaps the Elves also found the Númenóreans ridiculous for the same reason, with their devout worship of the very evil they had once helped to defeat.

“That is an admirable spirit”, he nodded politely. “If the news that have been reaching us are true, however, you must have your hands full at this moment.”

“You speak of the supply lines”, Noxaris guessed. “To be honest, we were quite shocked when we heard the news. It is true that there are incursions now and then, especially in the North, where the mines are, but we have been delivering most shipments without trouble. I suspect that many of them have simply been waylaid by the tribes on the way to Gadir.”

“Oh.” Amandil finished his wine. “Well, this is proving to be quite a mystery. The mystery of the missing supplies, as I could call it. Every tribe on my way here has let us pass, sent us hostages and protested their loyalty.”

Noxaris let go of a contemptuous laugh as he, too, set the cup on the table.

“Let you pass! Of course, you were many and you were armed. Sent you hostages! They have sent hostages to Mordor, too. Protest their loyalty! Words cost them nothing.”

Amandil decided it was time to drop the pretence.

“Did you send hostages to Mordor?”

Noxaris stopped laughing. For a brief moment, his façade of courtesy fell, and underneath it he looked anything but friendly.

“I have sent you my son. My own son, who was no older than ten when he left a year ago. You did not ask for him, but I knew that we would immediately become suspect if I did not do it.” He snorted. “Apparently, it was all in vain.”

Amandil was not so easily deterred.

“And yet you advise me not to set much value on the hostages of others. Are you the only father who loves his child?”

“Those are barbarians. They do not think as we do.”

For the Númenóreans you are also barbarians, you fool.

“Now, Prince Noxaris, let me be very clear on this. Your son is a wonderful boy. We are happy to have him, but we are not from Mordor.” Amandil spoke with intent, allowing each of the words to sink well in his royal interlocutor’s mind. “We are your friends and we did not ask for hostages from you because we trust you. As long as you act like friends to us, you have nothing to fear. If you have enemies, we will help you defeat them, as we already did long ago. And if you are being threatened or pressured by anyone, you only have to say a word and we will rid you of them, whoever they are”, he insisted. “That I can promise, and uphold it with my honour.”

There should be no room for misunderstandings now, he thought. The message had been delivered, received, and understood.

“In that case, we can begin the journey North tomorrow at dawn, if you wish. There are three hundred horses on their way from Arne, and I must confess I am quite eager to get out of that stifling palanquin and ride one of them at your side. “Noxaris had suddenly become again the very picture of geniality, as if their previous conversation had never happened. “Let us see how we can organize your stay here tonight, can we?”

Amandil repressed a sigh. And, apparently, ignored as well.

“I leave everything in your hands, my lord prince.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The first day, they journeyed through the most populated area of the kingdom. Amandil did not intend to visit the capital, and risk becoming entangled in a web of ceremony which would delay them from their purpose, but they saw it from afar, a magnificent city built atop the highest of the hills of Arne. Its Palace and temples were all made of stone, in traditional Númenórean fashion, and they gleamed white under the afternoon sun.

They moved fast on horseback, so on the second day they were already entering the Northlands. Amandil had to admit that this was a prosperous, fertile country, and nothing he had seen until then had given him the impression that its inhabitants, whom he saw in great numbers working the fields and tending their gardens, seemed under the shadow of any kind of threat. Noxaris, who seemed as confident on horseback as he had been stilted on his palanquin, remarked upon this very often as he described the landscape to his guests, sometimes going as far as to mock his early suspicions.

“Look at them, they are recovering from an Orc attack”, he laughed, pointing at a group of around a dozen peasants, who had spotted them and were kneeling on the ground to pay their respects.

“I would rather they would stop kneeling so much. If they do that whenever someone arrives, they might not know that they are Orcs until it is too late”, Amandil grumbled.

“They do not do it for everyone, they are doing it for me,” the Prince replied with a smug smile.

“What do they do for the King, then? Fall face flat on the mud?”

Noxaris shrugged.

“The King never comes here.”

That same day, they crossed a vale that seemed to have been cleaved on the wall of rock that surrounded the Dark Land. It looked beautiful enough, with abundant vegetation, but Amandil refused to stop there. As far as he could see, there could be a pass that communicated directly with Mordor, and in spite of Noxaris’s good-natured taunts, he was not about to take any risks.

When they stopped for the night, they were reaching a large forest area, which was used for the timber needed to build the barges that sailed down the river. Amandil felt safer there, huddling in the cabins of the timber-workers, but not enough as to forego the night watches. The following day, they would cross the forest, and by night they might be close enough to the mines. That was the area where even the prince had admitted that some incursions might take place.

“Are the mines being worked at present?” he asked, as he and Noxaris prepared to share a cabin under the watchful glance of Adunazer.

“Of course! They are always being worked.”

“I assume that they are being watched over by your soldiers, in any event.”

“That goes without saying.” Noxaris smiled. “Otherwise the slaves would escape. Those mountain barbarians are wild and warlike.”

Even in the half-darkness, Amandil could see Adunazer’s eyes rolling in disgust, and his mouth moving to mutter something contemptuous. He had not seen enough of the mainland for it to have sunk in his mind yet that neither the allies of the Númenóreans nor the Númenóreans themselves were exempt from brutality.

“You must be very sure of your military strength, then.”

“When you see it, you will concur, my lord.”

Amandil closed his eyes, but for a long time he lay awake, pondering.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

On the third day, the mounted Númenóreans and their guides entered the forest path. It was narrow and winding, not like a Númenórean road, but rather like a mountain trail of those he had often taken across Haradric territory. Coupled with the density of the foliage, it looked too much like favourable terrain for an ambush for Amandil’s comfort.

“Is this the only path?” he had to ask.

“Oh, we could also go around the forest, but this is fastest. Plus, you cannot see Mordor from here, so I am sure that this will make you feel more comfortable.”

Aware that he was being mocked, Amandil did not reply, but he did not lower his guard, either. At one of the scarce moments when the prince was not riding next to him, he sent a command to be spread to the column behind them: to keep their armour on and their weapons at the ready. His instincts, which usually lay in the grey middle between his immortal gift of foresight and common mortal anxiety, seemed to him somehow closer to the former than the latter the farthest that they travelled.

One of those times, when he was so overwhelmed by those feelings that he found it hard to concentrate, he sought for Prince Noxaris, only to find that he had galloped ahead of the column, and was deep in conversation with one of the indigenous guides. At once, he forced his horse to stop, and regrouped with Adunazer and Melek, who rode a few steps behind him.

“Take your weapons” he ordered. When he saw them hesitate, he hissed. “Now!”

It was not a moment too soon. All of a sudden, a scream rent the air from the rearguard, and he barely had time to duck before a black arrow whistled past his ear and embedded itself in the trunk of a large tree behind him.

“Orcs!” he shouted, brandishing his sword at one of the foul creatures who was coming towards him, spear in hand. The blade found its target, and one of its companions was trampled under his horse’s hooves, but the rain of arrows did not abate. Remembering his time in Harad, he adjusted his helmet and tried to assess the situation.

The column had stopped entirely, and all around it, foes were appearing, cutting both the vanguard and the rearguard and slipping from behind the trees at every turn. Arrows flew above their heads; as far as they remained there, they were sitting ducks, and in this narrow lane they would pick them one by one. Prince Noxaris was nowhere to be seen.

There was only one thing for it, then.

“To me! Soldiers, to me! Charge for Númenor, charge!”

Discipline kicked in, and those who remained on their mounts echoed his yells and unsheathed their swords to join in his charge. Clenching his teeth, he steeled himself for the clash, for arrows and spears, and for death, and concentrated his every thought on the gleaming silver steel on the tip of his trusted weapon.

The impact was shattering. The first thing he felt was his horse ramming into the vanguard of the Orcs, who were hiding behind their shields. His sword moved right and left, mowing down those that came at him from the sides, and behind him, he could hear a cacophony of yells and ear-splitting screams. Black, putrid blood stained his helmet, his face and his arms. Someone tried to stick a spear in the flesh of his horse, but he cut the arm first. He saw it fly, drawing a grotesque circle in mid-air.

“Charge! Charge!” he yelled repeatedly, praying that his men would have the presence of mind to persist in the middle of this carnage. Surrounded, they were helpless, but no troop of Orcs on their feet could withstand the charge of Númenórean warriors on horseback. If only they could open a breach…

If only… if…

Just as he thought he could see the numbers of the enemy thinning out before him, Amandil felt a new impact, and realized that his mount was bleeding from the flank where a spear had penetrated it at last. He had only moments left, he thought, with the strange clarity of mind given to him by the imminence of his fate. He needed to steer the horse away from the charge and jump, so he would not be trampled by the others.

With a display of skill that had never come to him in normal circumstances, he pushed  the Orc away, untied his left leg from the stirrup and, with all his strength, jumped to the side of the path, where he fell on top of another Orc. Knocking it out, he rolled on his side and away from the fray. For a moment, he lay still as the rest of the men rode by him, but he knew that it was but a momentary respite. Almost before he could pull himself up in a battle position, he was already surrounded by the enemy.

Suddenly, he felt a kind of fell madness grow inside him, and he remembered Pharazôn in a sordid cave of Harad, almost a lifetime ago.

“I am not afraid of you”, he laughed. “You are vermin on two legs!”

One of the Orcs’s ugly features creased in a sneer of rage, and he charged against him, but the others paused. So it was true, you were right all along, my friend, he thought dizzily. If you do not fear them, they cannot win.

This might have been his last thought, except that then he heard a clatter of hooves heading in his direction, and Melek cut away the leading Orc’s head, while his companions made short work of the others. For a moment, a long moment in which he felt a world’s distance away from the previous instants of glorious and murderous clarity, he stared at a gloved hand that was being offered to him, unable to understand what he was expected to do.

“We did it! We made it past them! Hurry, my lord, before they regroup!”

Ashamed, praying that none of them had noticed his weakness, Amandil grabbed the hand with a strong grip, and the young captain pulled him up on the back of his horse.

“How many?” His voice was hoarse. Belatedly, he noticed that he was entirely covered in Orc blood.

“About a hundred.” Two hundred dead. That thrice-cursed, seven times damned traitor Noxaris. “That charge saved us, my lord. If it hadn’t been for you…”

“We are not saved yet. We need to leave this forest now. Let us cut across until we reach the lower turn of the path, and make for the open air as fast as we can. Orcs won’t pursue us into the sunlight, but the Arnians have military effectives by the mines, and they may join them soon. Do not lose sight of each other!”

“Do you think we can get to the barges before they catch us?”

“The barges?” Amandil laughed mirthlessly. He could not find Adunazer. “There are no barges anymore. If we wish to escape this traitorous country, we will have to find our own.”

The irony, he thought, while he covered his head with his arms to protect it from the low hanging branches that scratched it in their mad run towards an uncertain retreat. He had come all this way looking for evidence of betrayal, and he had obtained it, but now that he had it, he might not be able to bring it back to Númenor. If he did not reach Pelargir, the King in Arne would blame his death on the tribes they had met in their way, and swear retribution in the name of the Númenórean Sceptre, while reaping the benefits of his alliance with the Dark Lord. And the Merchant Princes would be free to operate again, after having rid themselves of their enemy.

The Merchant Princes.

Were they, too, in this alliance? What treachery was still left to be uncovered in this forsaken corner of the world?

Would he live to find it?

Even if it was the last thing he ever did, Amandil swore to himself grimly, he would hold fast to his miserable, aching body, and fulfil his duty to the end.

Betrayal

Read Betrayal

The sun had moved almost a quarter of its path across the sky, and it was now halfway through its downward journey. Amandil calculated the distance for the hundredth time, his forehead curved in a frown, as if he could delay the inexorable passing of the hours by browbeating Heaven. Behind him, in the small copse that served as their temporary refuge, his surviving men sat or lay on the ground in disorder, rank and formation long forgotten in the agonizing need to rest, take care of wounds, and wolf down the scarce remaining supplies. After the first flurry of activity had died down a while ago, they had become silent, an eerie silence that felt more haunting than any complaints or cries of pain ever could.

A full quarter now. Amandil noted to himself. And then, unbidden but inevitable, the thought crept in his mind. We will have to move on.

That was a decision he did not wish to make, but so were most of those he could contemplate in his current situation. Crossing enemy territory with a handful of men -a handful that had grown smaller and smaller after two subsequent encounters with Orc raiding parties once they left the forest area-, on horses that were almost exhausted from having to carry more than one man at a time, and trying to stay a step ahead of the Arnian army, part of which was probably marching from the North even as they lay there, did not allow for very good chances of survival. He also had to take into account that the Arnians had soldiers near the capital, and that, as soon as they received the news from their prince, they could cross to the Western bank and catch them like rats in a mousetrap. So far, they had moved relatively quickly, avoiding roads and inhabited areas as if they were a band of outlaws, barely sleeping for days and driving their horses to the end of their endurance, but if his military knowledge did not fail him, that little advantage they had was about to run out. They could never cross the South of the realm like this, much less the lands that lay beyond it all the way to the garrison in Pelargir, where at least some of the tribes, if not all of them, could have joined the uprising. If his plan did not work, they were finished. Even if it worked, they might still die as well.

Of course, he had not said this much to the men, but some of them, the veterans, had known all along, and at least a few of the others were beginning to guess as the days passed. He could see it in their eyes, hear it in their grim silences, perceive it in the way in which they would abandon their dead comrades on the battlefield and move on without looking back.

Amandil sighed. He did not like that. If they did not trust him to lead them out of this, they would never survive. He had laid the plan before them with a gleam of determination in his eyes, conviction in his voice, promising them they would be in Pelargir in three days. It would have worked for Pharazôn, and he had even tried to remember how his friend would do it for added emphasis, but it had been useless. They had nodded, gone through the motions, but most of them did not believe him.

At this point, he was not even sure that he believed himself. If Melek did not come back soon, if they had got there before them… if the situation of that village was not as he remembered it…

If, if, if.

“There!” It was barely a whisper. Haunted by the terrifying experience of the Orc ambushes, none of them dared raise their voice too much anymore, even when they thought they were alone. “It’s him.”

Amandil turned his frowning look towards the open space beyond his tree parapet, wondering if Adûnazer could be having visions from exhaustion and lack of food. He had been watching all the time and seen nothing… but then, he realized with a powerful jolt to his chest, a single, grey dot was climbing the hill that stood about a mile away from them. The sun. He had been so obsessed with the sun’s course that he had been about to miss the signal, damn his impatience.

“What is he doing? I can barely see from here.” For the first time since they began their flight, Adûnazer’s voice betrayed a flicker of anxiety. There, that is how easy it was to recover hope, he thought wryly, as the young captain hesitated for a moment, then began imitating the piercing cry of a forest bird. All it took was to have things turn out favourably for once.

Behind his back, the camp seemed to erupt in whispers, and then into the hustle and bustle of preparations: the clang of steel, the sound of footsteps, the neighing of horses. Amandil threw a cursory glance around until he located Melek’s black horse, which he had been using since his own had been killed in battle, trying not to think of how the signs of imminent collapse were becoming visible in its eyes and muzzle. One more effort.

“Captain Melek has given us the all-clear, but we must remember that we are still in enemy territory”, he spoke to the others as they finished climbing upon their horses. “We have to be discreet, and not give away our presence until it is the moment to act. And remember, these people are not soldiers, and they pose no threat, so do not fight them unless it is absolutely necessary. Speed is of the essence.”

Melek was waiting for them on the hill. He seemed excited too; his eyes gleamed as he brought them to the other side and pointed down the slope, at a village of about a hundred white-painted houses and, even farther away, at its harbour on the western bank of the Anduin. Moored there, gently cradled by the motions of the currents, they could see about ten or twelve barges, of those that were routinely used to transport goods up and down the river.

“We will come at them directly, riding down the slope and into the harbour. Try to avoid the village unless the way is blocked. The docks are emptying now as the workday draws to a close, so it is the perfect time to take the barges easily and fast. Do not fight them” he repeated, wondering if this attempt to avoid civilian casualties would be any less futile in this “civilized” land than it had been in Harad. “The wounded must ride behind those who are hale, and cling to them as we make the descent to avoid a fall. Is that clear?”

This time, the sound of assent carried through loud and clear. Amandil reviewed the faces of those closer to him; they seemed to have just woken from a sleep full of nightmares.

He hoped this attitude would last.

“What about food? Shouldn’t we try to get any?”

“We cannot afford distractions. “Adûnazer said. “There will probably be some sort of edible goods being transported in the harbour, but if we don’t find any, we will have to take our chances with the tribes downriver.”

“Enough talk! On my signal!” Amandil raised his sword. Everybody quickly gathered into a makeshift formation, the one they had improvised after they survived the Orcs, where unimpeded, unwounded riders took the front, and those riding with the wounded in slower horses fell to the rear. Adûnazer aligned his mount right behind Amandil, clenching his teeth as if he was about to plunge into frozen water.

The sword caught a red gleam from the setting sun as it cut the air in front of him.

“Charge!”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

They had not been expected. The news of their progress had not made their way so far South, so when the villagers saw a horde of Númenóreans charging on horseback, they stared at them with the wide-eyed incredulity with which they might have looked at a dragon that swept from the hills breathing fire in its wake. When they began to regain their bearings, most of them fled, shrieking, towards the village, except for a handful of dockhands who stood before the barges with an expression of paralyzed terror and shock.

“We allies! Allies of Númenóreans!” one of them tried to shout at them. Melek pushed him aside.

“Tell that to your king.” A group of soldiers had set to the task of overturning crates and boxes of merchandise, looking for food. Most of the contents, however, turned to be iron, probably extracted from the mines, and Amandil had to wonder if production had increased after the kingdom decided to shift their alliances. In the end, cursing at the Arnian villagers as if this had been somehow their fault, they had to make do with some crates of fruit, and a few wine barrels.

“Do not take boats! Our boats! We allies of Númenóreans!” the dockhands insisted while they dismounted their horses and settled into the barges with their weapons and the provisions. Amandil was almost sorry for them. In spite of that bastard Noxaris’s patriotic tales, these people did not look anything at all like the Haradrim. They were helpless.

“Cut the ropes!” he ordered. Unfastened from their moorings, the barges floated away from the riverbank, and as they did so, Amandil did not know what looked more pitiful in the growing distance, if the natives or the horses they had been forced to discard. As they would have probably died if they had stayed on them, and the horses surely would, however, he could not find it in himself to regret it.

Now, at least, they had a chance. If they were fast enough…

“Move towards the centre of the river” he instructed, grabbing a steering oar and struggling to his feet to be seen by the men who sailed on the other barges. “We need to set as much distance between the riverbanks and us as possible. And keep watches during the night. We will be passing near Arne in a few hours and we cannot know what could be expecting us there.”

“I will keep watch.” An old veteran, who was sitting with his back propped against the stern of Amandil’s barge, smiled wryly, pointing at a large gash across his lower leg, which had gone from red to greenish in the last days. “This will not let me sleep anyway.”

“Very well”, Amandil smiled back, trying not to think of where he had seen such a wound before, or what had happened afterwards. No time for those thoughts now. “Do not forget to wake me up.”

Adûnazer frowned, his eyes set on the darkening horizon. He seemed to be debating with himself as to whether to say something or not. When he finally spoke, it was in that low whisper again, as if he expected to be ambushed by Orcs even in the middle of the Great River.

“Do you think that we will make it?”

Of course, Pharazôn would have said. There is only half a kingdom of jumped-up barbarians and a few primitive tribes between us and safety.

“I do not know” Amandil replied. The first stars were beginning to appear in the sky above their heads. “But we will have to try.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The first night was surprisingly uneventful, considering that they must have passed the capital as they sailed through the large meander where the river was trapped between a high mountain and the hills of the eastern bank. Dawn, however, caught them approaching the harbour town where the Prince Noxaris had waited for them days ago, and they could not possibly hope to pass it unnoticed, so it became necessary to come up with some sort of plan. In the end, Amandil opted for having his party look as clean as possible, hide the wounded as best as they were able and pretend to be back from their routine mission. Such a plan, however, hinged on the off chance that the harbour town that was closest to the capital of the realm had no idea of the King’s new policies, and that the authorities there stayed as ignorant of the trap set for their former allies as the villagers upriver had been. As they came in view of the settlement, heard the bells ringing the alarm and saw soldiers jumping on boats to give chase, the lord of Andúnië realized that it had been too much to take for granted.

“Damn!” He could hear Melek shout from his barge. “What do we do?”

“Row! Row, row!” There were oars in all the barges, used for carrying the merchandise upstream. The pull of the current was not enough anymore; they needed to be faster if they wanted to evade the lighter boats of the enemy. “We need to outrun them!”

“They have arrows!” someone shouted -unnecessarily, as the first of them had already whooshed dangerously close to Amandil’s ear as he heard him cry out. In a great commotion, the men who still had shields threw them over their heads and those of their rowing comrades. One, two men were hit, but there was no time to see to them now. No time for anything, except escape.

“Row, row, row!” he yelled, almost desperately. The enemy’s range wasn’t very good yet, but if they drew closer, they were sitting ducks.

Fortunately, the boats of the Arnian military did not seem to be as well-oared as the larger merchant barges, and soon they began to fall out of step. After a brief but furious pursuit, that seemed to stretch for an eternity of agony as they called upon every ounce of their strength to row for their lives, after two more wounded and one dead man, Amandil saw the threatening prows beginning to recede in the distance.

“They are giving up!” Adûnazer was red from the effort. Hardly daring to believe their luck, Amandil sat next to him and rowed until he could count five hundred strokes without an arrow flying past them. Then, and only then, he gave the order to stop.

“Blessed be the holy Valar for protecting us in our hour of greatest need!” Adûnazer cried. The veteran, who had gritted his teeth and raised his prized shield over their heads while they toiled, took a small wolf figurine from his armour. As he muttered a prayer to the Lord of Battles, he glared at Amandil as if daring him to object.

“Blessed be them all, and whoever else wants to lend a hand”, Amandil replied. He stood up, signalling the men in the other barges to regroup and keep away from the riverbanks. Behind them, he heard the muttering of a litany, and then a loud splash as the dead man was dumped into the river.

What use was there for arguing about gods, when even the dead were reduced to a useless weight, to be discarded with as little ceremony as this?

“We will keep rowing at regular intervals. They might still follow us, or dispatch riders to other outposts. I will not rest until we are outside their territory.”

And then they would be in some tribe’s territory.

The soldier’s leg looked greener than the previous day. Grimly, Amandil saw him kiss the figurine before putting it back inside his armour, wishing that there was a Lord of Battles he could pray to.

Rest was going to be very scarce.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The day went by in a strangely slow succession of short rests, long waits, and increasing intervals of rowing. Everybody seemed to be infected with a strange frenzy of speed, and wasted their strength in a desperate attempt to slide downstream faster and faster. Amandil watched the expanse of water behind their backs with such intensity that the lines of his frown seemed to have been carved in his forehead permanently. No Arnian boats or ships came after them, however, and as they passed the Southern frontier, he began to realize that they had outrun them. For a moment, he indulged in a satisfying train of thought, picturing Noxaris’s face as he came South with his army only to hear of the theft of the barges and the later fruitless pursuit near Arne. The arrogant bastard had underestimated them, and overestimated by far the aid that his new ally could give him.

Soon, however, he forced himself to discard those thoughts. There was no reason for rejoicing yet, they were still in potentially unfriendly territory, and something had been nagging him in the back of his head since they climbed on the barges and he had the luxury to put two thoughts together. He remembered his conversation with Noxaris, when they had discussed the hostages and the prince told him that the tribes had also sent hostages to Mordor. They are barbarians, they do not think as we do, he had snorted, contemptuously. But in the end it was them, who had become allies of the Dark Lord, which meant that they were as ready to discard their hostages as he had accused the tribes of being. Or were they? Could they be in league with the Merchant Princes, too? Amandil was less and less happy with the idea of the Pelargir garrison lying so close to Gadir.

The veteran’s leg was exuding a terrible smell by now, like rotten meat. Inside the barge, everybody was doing their best effort to withstand the stench without complaining.

“Only two more days”, he promised, touching his forehead with his hand. It was warm, but not boiling yet; that would still take some time in coming, he calculated. “Two days and they will be able to take a look at this in Pelargir.”

“I hope the healers there are good”, the man snorted.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil was very careful negotiating passage through tribe territory. He only landed with a sizeable party when the territory belonged to a small, unwarlike tribe, and he never went far from the riverbank, and only for the time that he needed to gather supplies and threaten them with the might of Númenor if they joined the rebels. The people who received them seemed to be very shocked at how they had been treated by their powerful Northern neighbours, and claimed to be at his disposition if he wished to retaliate, but Amandil had no doubt that most would attack them if they could.

Other territories they crossed seemed to have become empty. The nomadic tribes had probably smelled the fumes of war and retreated to their forests and mountains, where they would sit it out and wait for an opportunity to profit from the situation. Others, finally, had become openly hostile, and threw spears and arrows at them from the riverbank (killing two more men in a particularly unlucky afternoon), but they did not make a concerted effort of chasing them. Amandil’s worries, instead of abating as they moved closer to Pelargir unopposed, began to augment with every mile, and his vague suspicions took a more concrete form.

Meanwhile, the fever had finally erupted, and the unlucky man’s face was radiating heat. They had tried dabbing at his wounds with a yellow paste provided by the first of the agricultural tribes, but without much conviction, and even Amandil had to agree that the wolf figurine was a much better help at this point.

“We are almost there” he tried to soothe him, wiping his forehead in a quiet moment of the evening. “Tomorrow we will reach Pelargir.”

The eyes who gazed back into his were glazed and vacant, as if they could not understand what he had just said.

“Sor” a cavernous voice mumbled. “Take me to Sor.”

Sorry, wrong world, Amandil thought, with a sigh.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The sky still showed touches of the lingering red of dawn when Pelargir appeared in the horizon, a majestic expanse of grey and white ruins which looked more welcoming to their starved eyes than the fairest city of the Island. Soon afterwards, they could distinguish the darker walls of the garrison enclosure next to the sandy beach by the riverbank, and the improvised harbour where their ships had been moored together with the barges they had built to travel upriver.

It was empty.

“Wait”, he hissed, just as Adûnazer turned to the soldier who was holding the steering oar to give him instructions to approach and dock. Both turned towards him, wide-eyed at his sombre expression. He felt anger fill his chest and had to take a sharp breath, to calm himself before he yelled at them. How could they still be so naïve? Didn’t they have eyes on their heads? “The harbour.”

Adûnazer’s look of relief and hope was quenched abruptly, substituted by an expression of dismay. Amandil’s anger vanished as soon as it had come.

“Go to the back and signal to the others. If there is somebody there, they have already spotted us, of that there can be no doubt. Still, we need to proceed with order and caution.”

Adûnazer bowed, and did as he was told, leaving the lord of Andúnië to his disheartened thoughts.

So, it was true. His worst fears had been confirmed, the dark speculations which had been taking form in the long nights of vigil as they trudged along their path tracked by the enemy. The defection of the kingdom of Arne, serious as it was by itself, had not been an isolated event, but a step further in the plans of someone. Someone who had delivered the most crushing blow while they were away.

But how?

As they slowly approached the riverbank, word of what had happened began spreading across the crews of the other barges. Amandil could once again perceive that ominous silence, the one which had haunted him while they wandered across the northern lands without any escape route in sight, expecting to be waylaid by the enemy at any moment.

As well as it should be, he thought, darkly. Now, they could be waylaid by the enemy at any moment, as well, and there was no escape route.

Soon, their horrified eyes could detect a large number of coloured stains on the sand, which gradually started to mutate into bodies, killed in a violent struggle and left to lie where they fell. They must have been defending the ships there, or perhaps manning the beach at the beginning of the invasion, if the enemy had come by sea.

“Are you… sure we should land here, my lord?” the soldier with the steering oar asked. His face was white.

“We have no choice. We cannot stay here for ever, floating in the middle of the river. Many of us are wounded, and we lack provisions.” Amandil tried to sound more confident than he felt. “Besides, if they were waiting to ambush us, they wouldn’t have left these on the shore. They would have hidden them to lure us into a false sense of security. Leave the wounded on the barges and follow me.”

In any case, if his suspicions were right, there would be no real need to ambush them at this point. They were as good as dead already, trapped between the Merchant Princes and the combined might of Mordor and Arne.

Lost in this ominous train of thought, he barely paid attention to the strangled gasps and cries of the men around him. In truth, the spectacle of desolation that greeted their eyes as they set foot on the surf was enough to chill the bravest man’s blood, and if he had not been struggling with even more horrible visions, of his men and him joining the decomposing bodies of their comrades, silenced forever among the buzzing of flies, it would have chilled his, too. As it was, he could only pay attention to one piece of evidence: Orc arrows and spears protruding from many of the soldiers’s bodies.

“So, it is confirmed”, he said, his voice sounding eerily calm even to himself. “Arnians, Orcs, and…”

“And?”

Ignoring Adunazêr, and looking for a moment as if he had been possessed by a strange bout of insanity, Amandil grabbed his sword and ran. Immediately, he heard heavy footsteps following behind him, past the bloated, foul-smelling corpses, and towards the path leading to the wooden fortress.

In a detached way, he was aware of how carelessly he was behaving, in deep contrast with his wariness and suspicion in every situation they had encountered until then. But before, the situation had not been clear; now, he perceived their position exactly as it was. In a sense, this was a liberating feeling, as he was no longer paralyzed by the fear of making the wrong move, but this liberation also felt hollow: it was the freedom that one might feel a moment before execution, when it became apparent that nothing could change one’s fate anymore.

“Wait, my lord!” Melek was fastest, and Amandil was almost pushed aside as the young captain unsheathed his sword to adopt a protective stance next to him. As they both strode across the silent courtyard, they met many more bodies, similarly left to die where they fell.

Amandil ran past them, heading for the building where the hostages had been living. It was empty, right as he had imagined.

“Do you think… do you think that they were taken somewhere else to be killed?”

“Killed? No.” The lord of Andúnië laughed. “They have been relocated.”

“Relocated where?” Adûnazer and the others had arrived in time to catch the end of the conversation. The Andúnië Guard’s face looked almost as green as the wound of the dying veteran. “To Mordor? To Arne? Was this why those bastards were so eager to attack us, because they knew their hands were not tied anymore?”

“I have my suspicions.” Amandil grimaced. “Follow me.”

This time, he ran towards Magon the Old’s house, whose lower floor seemed as empty as the hostage quarters. As he ran towards the upper floor, two stairs at a time, his nostrils could perceive the sickly scent of Magon’s precious incense mixed with the smell of medicine, but stronger than usual and with a slight tinge of something else. The red curtain was still there, closed for privacy.

He pulled it, so brusquely that it almost fell apart. Beyond it, the old man lay in his comfortable feather bed, his mouth curved in the same smile with which he had reminisced about his family to a bored Amandil for a year.

He was dead. Dead, Amandil observed, but not killed, by Orcs or by anyone else. It could have been the long overdue natural death, or it could have been provoked by the ingestion of poison, but it was apparent from his features that he had not suffered. In the shade of this enclosure, away from birds, beasts and insects as well as from the glare of the sun, his body showed less advanced signs of decomposition than those they had seen until now.

“Damn you”, he hissed, shocking his men with the vehemence of his voice. “Damn you to the deepest abysses of the cursed Void! How did you do it, how?”

“Er… my lord?” How couldn’t they see it yet? Were they all halfwits, or what? “Isn’t he dead, too?”

“The Merchant Princes of Gadir!” He was a hair’s breadth away from losing his temper and scaring his companions even more, but there were barely enough reserves of restraint in his body left to prevent it. “They planned this from the beginning! They had an alliance with the Arnians since long ago, and they brokered the alliance between them and Mordor to prevent the Sceptre from removing their influence from the area! They were waiting for us to leave and deliver ourselves into enemy hands, so they could take the garrison in a surprise attack and steal the hostages from us! Now they have them, and they control the entire territory! And they used him to plan this attack!”

“But…” Melek’s eyes were wider and wider. “He could not send any messages, how could he…. and besides, he’s dead! Why would they kill him if he helped them?”

“They did not kill him, you fool! He killed himself. He was dying anyway, and… and…” Suddenly, it dawned in his mind. “With his dead body here, even if we were to escape and tell of what we saw, it would be difficult to prove his involvement, or incriminate his family. It was a brilliant move!”

“A brilliant move, to kill himself?”

It was beyond infuriating to see that they still looked at him with long, doubtful expressions, as if it could not sink into their minds that anyone could be so devious. After all they had seen in the last days, there was nothing they should find impossible anymore.

Except maybe, a small voice spoke inside his head, that a Númenórean could ever behave like a barbarian.

“In any case…” he began, trying to regain his bearings again. This discussion was pointless. It was meant to be had with Tar Palantir, in the Palace of Armenelos, if he could ever set foot there again, but that was looking more impossible by the moment. “Our priority is to get out of here before the Orcs and the Arnians come downriver to kill us.”

“But… but we have no seaworthy ships!” a soldier in the back said.

“And even if we had them, the Merchant Princes must have blockaded the Bay so we wouldn’t be able to reach Númenor”, he finished grimly. Panic was beginning to show in many faces as they became more and more aware of their predicament. Amandil was a step ahead of them, but that did not mean much in the present circumstances.

“We have to…”

Suddenly, a loud commotion interrupted his announcement. His hands immediately travelled towards the pommel of his sword, certain that their enemies had arrived, and he followed his men downstairs, away from the old merchant’s deathbed.

In the courtyard, three men were struggling. Or rather, one was struggling against two of his soldiers, who were trying to hold him down as he twisted and snarled at them.

“Let me go! Let me go you bastards!” he shouted. Amandil pushed his way past the soldiers to stand in front of them. His jaw almost dropped in recognition: that man, ragged, and with a face made barely recognizable by an unkempt growth of hair, was the lieutenant of the garrison of Pelargir.

“Zakashtart, stop!” he shouted. “Can’t you recognize us? I am Amandil!”

“A-amandil? Lord Amandil?”

“Yes. I am back.” he nodded, forcing himself to smile in reassurance. “We are back.”

Slowly, the soldier’s struggles subsided, and the men let go of him. As they did it, his knees gave way, and he fell to the floor. Though Amandil hadn’t been away for that long, his face seemed much thinner, gaunter than it had been when they said farewell to each other on the day the expedition began. “I… I thought…”

At a sign from him, the other soldiers retreated, and he advanced slowly towards the man. He had seen others in that state before, driven almost crazy by grief and carnage.

“I know, Zakashtart. I know how terrible it must have been. To see all your men die, and be left here, alone, and without hope”, he began, with great care not to raise his voice. The man listened, but he still looked wary, as if ready to bolt as soon as he realized that the people who surrounded him were not who they seemed to be. “But we are here now. We suffered casualties, but we are here, and we need to know what happened.”

“Dead.” It was not clear whether Zakashtart was laughing or crying; maybe not even he knew. “All dead. Killed. Only me.”

“By whom?”

“Orcs from the East. Crossed the river. And ships, many ships”. Of course. “They came in the night.”

“Yes, yes. The Merchant Princes.” His theory was confirmed now, for all it was worth. “But, how did they know? How did they coordinate their attack, and how did they know we were leaving?”

Zakashtart closed his eyes. For a while, it seemed as if he had retreated into a space in his head that Amandil could not touch, his expression as vacant as that of a sleeping man. As some of the soldiers were beginning to mutter in impatience and alarm, however, he opened them again. For the first time, he sought for Amandil’s glance, and he could not help but feel a jolt in his chest at the pain he saw inside.

“Magon. The… the medicines.”

The lord of Andúnie clenched his fists. Before he even noticed what he was doing, he let go of a yell of rage. Of course. All that time, in front of him, in broad daylight. And he hadn’t noticed. He had been too busy feeling sorry for the old bastard.

“The medicines?” Adûnazer inquired. “But there was no message inside…we checked!”

“A code.” That was why the medicines changed every month. “Depending on what he ordered for the month, the message was different.”

Only, this changed everything, he realized, the shock at this revelation turning into the shock of yet another discovery. If they had Zakashtart, this meant that they had an eyewitness, someone who could prove their claims with his statement before the Council of Númenor. This weakened, terrified and crazed man was Tar Palantir’s best weapon at this moment.

It was his obligation to get him to safety, and to Númenor. Even if he and the rest of the party should lay down their lives in the attempt, he had to find a way to do that. Only then, all those deaths would have a meaning, and his mission would be fulfilled, though at a great cost.

“Organize two groups. One will search for weapons and the other for provisions and medicine. We will meet in the beach in an hour’s time” he ordered. “Adûnazer, help Zakashtart and come with me.”

As Adûnazer leaned towards him with his arm extended, Zakashtart growled and retreated like an injured dog, then struggled to his own feet to follow them at a distance. In grim silence, the three of them crossed the corpse-filled courtyard, and headed back to the beach, where more corpses awaited them.

And others who will become corpses soon, the dark voice whispered, once again, in Amandil’s mind.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The injured veteran had died at some point after Amandil left the barge; he was found lying in a sitting position, his back propped upon the stern of the boat, and his beloved figurine still clasped on his hand. Amandil leaned over him to close his eyes carefully, wondering if he had been the luckiest of them all.

He counted among the other barges: there were fourteen other wounded in total, with various degrees of severity. Three or four of them could even stand to greet him back and ask for news; others remained sitting, and at least two of them were also in a delirious state.

“What are we going to do, my lord? Where will we go?” Adûnazer asked.

Amandil had been pondering this question relentlessly since they had left the others to organize the search parties. They could not stay there for a moment longer than strictly necessary, for the enemy would come in pursuit. There weren’t enough of them left to man the fortress: if a garrison of a thousand had not stopped the enemy before, a handful of weakened soldiers stood no chance. As he had observed before, they could not sail the open seas, or cross the blockade. There was only one small hope, one tiny chance of survival, and while he had been initially reluctant to take that path, the circumstances were forcing him to make the decision.

Umbar.

They had no seaworthy ships, but with those barges they could try sailing at a small distance from the coast, which was full of sandy beaches through the first part of their voyage, until it became gradually more abrupt after passing the mouth of the Poros. The reefs of Umbar might prove a formidable obstacle, but with expert steering and strong rowing some of them could make it. Of course, they could not enter the city under their true identity, as the merchants of Umbar would be only too happy to finish the dirty work of their associates, but as they were now, it would not be difficult to pass as fishermen or sponge divers. Once inside the city, he would go to the Second Wall, find Pharazôn, and ask him for help.

Amandil shivered, though the sun was already high in the sky and the air was warm. That plan was dangerous, and many of them would die. Probably all of the men who were wounded now would be among the casualties, as they did not have the health or the endurance needed to survive such a journey. And yet, of all the perils that his mind could envision, the darkest and most unthinkable lay in the final part.

Pharazôn was his friend. Since they were children, they had always been closer than brothers, always ready to rush to each other’s aid without the slightest hesitation. When Elendil was conceived, Pharazôn convinced his mother, the Princess of the South, to help them, and after the birth he had watched over the baby, and seen to his every need in Amandil’s stead. In the Haradric wars, they had saved each other’s lives many times. Once, he remembered, he had taken an unconscious, wounded Pharazôn over his shoulders after an Orc ambush, and carried him across an arid desert until he recovered. He had charged singlehandedly at two mounted Haradric warriors, only to give him a chance to escape with his life. When Ar Gimilzôr died, Pharazôn had been the one to send people to protect him from the Merchant Princes, and take him back to Númenor to reclaim his birthright. Their friendship had even survived Amandil’s appointment to the Council, as the representative of the family that opposed Pharazôn’s family bitterly in the Island. After that, it was true, their encounters had become briefer and farther apart in time, but not too many years ago they could still set their differences aside while they were together, and share a drink in good companionship. If Amandil should knock at Pharazôn’s door with death on his tracks, he was sure that his friend would do almost anything to help him. Almost anything-  except, possibly, what he would be asked to do now.

“Pharazôn, I need you to provide a ship and safe passage for me and for this eyewitness of your family’s treachery. We need to warn the King that your mother’s city has committed treason against the Sceptre and that her family orchestrated everything.” He imagined himself saying those words, and cringed. There was no other way to put it, and yet, as it was, it felt nothing like a request that a friend could reasonably make to another. Pharazôn would have to choose between his family and him, and though they were close, his closeness to his mother was even greater. Amandil would be asking for betrayal, almost forcing, in fact, his friend to betray him. What kind of friend would ever do such a thing?

A friend who is the legate to the King of Númenor, he answered his own question. A friend who has run out of any other option.

Zakashtart had knelt on the surf, one hand extended towards the moving waters. He was muttering something, perhaps a litany, whose words none of them were able to decipher.

No, he thought, his resolve hardening, there was no other option. He would have to go and throw himself at Pharazôn’s mercy. Maybe he could manage to convince him to do the right thing towards the realm, though it would most certainly mean the end of their friendship.

“We will go to Umbar”, he said, aloud, to himself as much as to Adûnazer and the others.

“Umbar, my lord?”

“Yes, Umbar. We will travel lightly, and…”

“I do not think this is a wise decision.”

For a brief moment of unreality, Amandil thought he had imagined this voice; that it was only a more hauntingly real manifestation of the whispers he had been hearing in the back of his head since the first Orc ambush. Then, cursing to himself for having lowered his guard, he unsheathed his sword with the fastest move he could manage, and pointed it in the direction of the intruder.

It was a strange man, so strange that for a while all he could do was wonder stupidly at his appearance, without even wondering where he had come from or how could he have snuck upon them undetected. His features and his skin were those of a young man, of the same age as captain Melek more or less, but the eyes told a different story. They were grey, deep, and ageless and, for a moment, he was reminded of his father.

“It cannot be. “Adûnazer looked as if he had seen a ghost. “It… it cannot be.”

Zakashtart was staring at them from the shoreline. He had stopped muttering, but he seemed in no way frightened or anxious by this new appearance.

Amandil swallowed deeply. He needed to keep his composure. He needed to hide how unsettled he was, show himself as the strong leader that he had never felt farther from being.

“Forgive me”, he said, his voice carefully even, though still a little terse. “I had never seen… one of you before. Are you here in friendship, or as an enemy?”

“Alas! It is true that you have become distrustful in recent times. Your forebears would never have asked this of any of us.” His Adûnaic was perfect, but heavily accented. Slowly regaining his bearings, Amandil realized, first, that he should switch to Quenya- but no, he remembered, they preferred to use Sindarin in current speech.

Then, he also realized that his sword was still unsheathed and pointing at the newcomer.

“I need ask. “Damn, his Sindarin was much worse than his Quenya. Curse Tar Palantir, his family, and their penchant for useless ancient ceremony. “All enemies around us. Orcs, barbarians, merchants. What… what way… whence…?”

No, it was no good. When the Elf spoke in Adûnaic, as if he hadn’t even taken notice of his clumsy attempts to speak his language, Amandil could have felt insulted, but all he did manage to feel was relief.

“How did we get here, you wish to say?” We? Of course, there should be more of them. And there they were, he realized, more unsettled than ever upon discovering six other Elves on the riverbank, that he had not seen or heard until that very moment. And their ship. How could a large ship have approached him, Adûnazer, Zakashtart and the men in the barges without any of them seeing anything? “We came by ship, from Lindon in the North. Your father, the lord Númendil of Andúnië, had a vision foretelling your present danger, and he asked for the help of my people. That is why we have come, to deliver you from your enemies and take you back to Númenor.”

Huh, was the most intelligent reply in Amandil’s mind at the moment. He decided not to voice it.

“We are aware that some of your men might feel disinclined to trust us if we were to show ourselves in our true shape. “Now that he paid attention, he noticed that the men in the barges did not look as if they were seeing anything unusual at all. Only Adûnazer was seeing the same thing that he did, if that was possible. “If you allow us the deception, once we show ourselves, we will pretend to be a ship come to rescue you from Númenor.”

“Can you avoid being seen? And your ship, too?” Was that how they had crossed the blockade? But then… Slowly, the pressing plight Amandil was in began sinking back into his brain, banishing some of the eerie strangeness of the situation. In truth, if a winged dragon came flying in at this moment and told him he had been sent by Lord Númendil to rescue him, there was nothing Amandil could do but greet it as a friend at this point. “Can you take us past the ships from Gadir?”

“So many questions, and so little time to answer them. Typical of mortals”, another of the Elves chimed in. The first turned towards him with a slight frown, and he seemed to convey some kind of wordless rebuke, because the other Elf bowed in apology.

“I understand that the Lord Amandil is not asking us for a theorical lesson in Elven concealment, but trying to assess our ability to help him out of his present danger. Those concerns should be easy to allay: yes, we can avoid being seen, and we can prevent the ships from Gadir from seeing you as well. Will you accept our help?”

“Yes.” Suddenly, he wanted to weep, he did not know if from the tension, the relief, or the total unreality of this conversation. When he was a child, his mother had told him tales about them, of the Noldor and the Sindar, of their victories and their defeats. Of their immortality. Even as he stood there, facing them, and knowing that his father had been sent to deal with them, some part of him could not truly accept that they were anything but figments of a storyteller’s imagination.

But if they were not real, then there was no escape, and he could not relinquish that lifeline now.

“What is your name?” he asked, wondering if he should have done so sooner.

“I am Aerandir, and I was sent by the High King of the Noldor, together with my companions. But speed is of the essence now; pleasantries can be exchanged later. If you allow us, we will introduce ourselves to your wounded and we will help them into the ship. If they wish to be seen to, Celebdil here is an accomplished Healer.”

“Yes, I mean… by all means, suit yourselves.” He felt almost tongue tied, as if one of their spells had been cast on him. For a moment, he wondered if it had.

“Eru Almighty, I…I never thought I would see an Elf”, Adûnazer sighed in amazement as they passed by them towards the muddy sands where the barges were. Amandil threw an arm over his shoulder, once again feeling the brief but intense urge to weep.

“Neither did I, Adûnazer. Neither did I.”

Still in his kneeling position by the shore, Zarashtart looked up towards them, and a tear rolled slowly down his cheek.

 

Interlude IX: Master of Doom

Read Interlude IX: Master of Doom

“Wait, Níniel! Go not alone! You know not what you will find… and I…”

The enthusiasm with which Hannon had attacked the speech began to falter as he became aware of the older man’s furious stare, until it died abruptly.

“No, no, no! You are wrong again! You skipped one line, the one that begins with ‘What is the way?’Are you doing it on purpose, or what?”

“Yes! I mean, no! I’m… I just forgot… I am sorry!”

The apology sounded believable enough, as he now looked at the verge of turning tail and running as far as he could from the room and this whole wretched business. Since Kamal -or Prince Vorondil, as he had to be addressed since his marriage- had accepted the responsibility of organizing the representation of this play about Túrin, the hero of the First Age, he had become as obsessed with it as if his reputation was somehow linked with its success or failure. He had suffered no other to be cast in the main role, forced all of them to rehearse every day, agonized over every tiny detail, and his temper had become increasingly erratic whenever something went wrong. If Hannon, Hiram’s brother-in-law, was present on the rehearsal, at least one yelling match was always guaranteed. The younger man was a terrible actor, his grasp of Elvish almost non-existing, and though his role didn’t have that many lines, he usually forgot half of them. To make things worse, the angrier Vorondil became, the greater was his brother Hiram’s amusement.

“Oh, I think you miscast the lad. He is obviously not comfortable in his character” he intervened now, not too concerned with hiding the sarcasm in his voice. “Maybe you should recast everybody yet again.”

Elendil let his glance wander towards Lady Eluzîni, who was lying on the floor, gazing at the ceiling. As he did so, her blank stare became alive for a moment, and she rolled her eyes at him.

Oh, no, he mouthed in silence. During the first month, when Vorondil had forcefully enlisted them for his grand project, he had changed his mind almost daily about the roles they should perform. Elendil had been Thingol, then Orodreth, then Húrin -who had been eliminated from the final version- and then Gwindor, before finally ending up with the role of Beleg. Eli had suggested that he should play the role of Mîm the Petty Dwarf, as this would cause sensation in court, and when her cousin had refused point blank to consider the idea she had accused him of not wanting to be upstaged. She was the only one who still had the ability to see the humour in this dreary endeavour, perhaps because she was also the only one who had managed to secure the role she wanted: that of Glaurung, the Dragon of Morgoth. Originally cast as Finduilas, the fair Elven princess, she had found her terribly boring and refused to collaborate.

“Oh, perhaps you should do it, then!” Vorondil shouted. “Come here and do Brandir, too, if you can do it so well!”

“I am sure there is no need…” Lady Kadrani, Hiram’s wife and Hannon’s elder sister, tried to intervene. She was the one who was eventually cast as Finduilas, and she was trying to look the part, wearing more makeup than what Elendil would have believed possible in anything but a painted statue. Maybe she would be a better dragon than I am, after all, Eluzîni’s malicious voice had whispered in his ear the other week. “It was just a tiny mistake.”

“No, thanks!” Hiram did not seem to have even heard her. “Being killed twice by you is already more than enough. If I end up playing all the characters you kill in the story, the Court will start wondering if perhaps we do not get along.”

Back when Hiram had been cast as Saeros and Brodda the Easterling, they had joked about it indeed. It had still been early enough in the process for that.

“Please, give me another chance. I will do it correctly this time,” Hannon begged.

“I am sure you will.” Kadrani’s vivid red lips curved in an encouraging smile. Her brother returned it briefly, then pressed a sweaty palm against his eyes, as if in furious thought. He took a long, deep breath.

“Let us start from the beginning of the scene. On the count of three. One, two… three!”

Silence.

Míriel!”

“What?” Everybody’s gaze became fixed upon the Princess of the West, who was sitting on a chair, absently sipping spiced wine from a cup. She looked back at them, as if she could not understand why they were so interested in her.

“That was your cue!”

“Perhaps you should have warned me beforehand. I was so bored that I had ceased paying attention.”

Vorondil’s face became red.

“Oh, do not look at me like that. I never wanted to be in this stupid play.” Míriel swallowed the last of the cup as she stood up, with a languid air to her movements. “This Túrin Turambar is the most foolish hero I have ever heard about. Master of Doom! Ha! He believed he had mastered Fate, and Fate beat him at every turn. How pathetic is that?” “Míriel, beloved…”

Elendil watched their argument in silence. He was now a much better observer of her behaviour than he used to be during his brief but disastrous courtship of her. As he grew used to watch her acting around the man who was now her husband, as the pain had receded into the background and then disappeared, he had realized that, in many occasions, her apparently erratic and capricious behaviour served as a cover to do things that would exasperate or humiliate him in front of others. Maybe she loved him sincerely, in a way, but a dark part of her soul was also eager to make a fool of him.

As she had made a fool of him, too, he thought, still haunted by the memory of that Erulaitalë of years ago. His mother had been right; he had been fortunate to escape the orbit of such a woman.

“Míriel, please!”

“Then again, you do play him very convincingly, my dear.” She was smiling now, with that smile which Elendil had once been glad to see, but now for some reason made him shiver. “Well, let us begin, then. Er… Did you not offer to lead me to him?”

Hannon blinked in such a clueless way that Hiram had to visibly repress a snort.

“No, no, no, that is not what you had to say now!”

“I am sorry.” Míriel sat again. “I have forgotten my lines.”

Liar, Eluzîni silently mouthed in the direction of Elendil. He nodded. She was always pretending to forget her lines, either because she wished to see Vorondil lose his temper, or because she was looking for an excuse not to come to any more rehearsals. But Vorondil’s experience as a husband was beginning to show with the years: he never, ever rose to her provocations, and always remembered to beg abjectly whenever he wanted something. Perhaps that was the reason why his temper was shorter and shorter when it came to other people, Elendil speculated idly.

“Look, there it is. You begin with ‘is this the way?’, as you come in fast, as if you were in a hurry, your eyes darting around as if looking for something…” On the floor, Eluzîni was pretending to fan herself to take the heat away from her face; under the cover of her large red fan, she began pulling faces as the rest gathered around the Prince’s piece of paper to look at the lines. One of them was such a good imitation of the mixture of pompousness and grovelling in Vorondil’s current manner that Elendil could not suppress a smile.

She would be such a good actress, he thought, once again regretting that her face would be hidden under a hideous mask during the entire play. It was true that this particular story did not contain any female characters who could do her justice, as it was a sad tale of the First Age, full of those grim women and weeping maidens that she found so unappealing. If the King was not so interested in the old days, they could have been reviving some Númenórean comedy, maybe one of those that were so popular during the reign of Ar-Abattarîk, and she would be able to shine. He remembered the day when she had done comic dancing for them, in the Lord of Hyarnustar’s Armenelos residence. Hiram had found it a little too scandalous, but Elendil had secretly thought that he would not mind seeing it again. Now, he would definitely have changed it for all the Túrins and Nienors in the world.

“Right, on my cue! One, two, three!”

Vorondil’s voice brought him back from his thoughts of the Prince’s cousin dressed in red gauze and moving her body in an improper manner. After only a short while, however, his resolve to pay attention devolved into renewed apathy. Princess Míriel had decided to behave as if she knew her lines, but now it was Hannon who had forgotten them again. Hiram was teasing him so much that his wife accused him of trying to make him nervous on purpose, to which he argued that it was Vorondil who was doing that with his foul mood. In the end, they managed to trudge onwards to the part where Nienor found Turin’s body, but then Míriel claimed that she could not get into her character properly if Vorondil was not lying on the ground for her to react to.

“But, beloved, I am directing! I cannot direct from the floor!”

“Then stop directing while I am playing my role!”

“She has a point”, Hiram intervened. “I think you would do more good lying on the floor than standing there making Hannon forget his lines.”

I make him forget his lines?”

“I do not know about that, but fair is fair.” Eluzîni intervened. “I have been lying on this wretched marble for what seems like hours. Perhaps they were actual hours, I do not know. All I know is that my back is hurting, and yours should, too.”

“You will not have to lie when we have the dragon, only hide behind it and move…” Vorondil’s voice trailed away at an imperious look from Míriel, and he shook his head. “Very well, I will lie on the floor if that makes you feel better, my dear.”

Elendil knew about lying on the floor. They had rehearsed his death scene endlessly only last week, though at least in his case he had the benefit of Prince Vorondil not being able to direct himself into distraction. On the other hand, he had Eluzîni trying to make him slip in the worst possible moment and force him to repeat the scene again. Her dragon had been nowhere near that part of the story, and yet she was there every day, as if she derived her greatest entertainment from seeing him fall to the hard floor time after time.

Then again, a voice said in his mind, you are not in this scene, either, and yet you are here. But it was not the same, he told himself, for Vorondil had been meaning to rehearse earlier scenes as well. It was not Elendil’s fault that they would not have the time to do so anymore.

With a wince, Eluzîni was struggling now from her prone position, propping her weight on her elbows so her ribcage would be free to do what she referred to as her impressive dragon voice. And impressive it was, if one considered the enormous difference between it and her usual voice, though the volume still had to be adjusted and enhanced when the huge dragon mask arrived.

“Hail, Nienor, daughter of Húrin! We meet again ere the end. I give thee joy that thou hast found thy brother at last. And now thou shalt know him: a stabber in the dark, treacherous to foes, faithless to friends, and a curse unto his kin, Túrin son of Húrin! But the worst of all his deeds thou shalt feel in thyself.”

Míriel staggered back, for a moment looking for all the world as if she had seen something horrifying. Though Elendil knew she was acting, this had been so eerily similar to the true fits in which she would see her waking visions, that he had to consciously suppress a start. Some were not so successful as he was: Lady Kadrani and her brother both looked shocked, and even Lord Hiram did not seem so mocking now.

“Farewell, O twice beloved! A Túrin Turambar turún’ ambartanen, master of doom by doom mastered! O happy to be dead!” Violently, she tore herself away from the bodies and took flight. The direction was wrong, as Vorondil had decreed the precipice to be right by the chair, but nobody said anything about it. Even Hannon forgot that he had to speak, until his sister nudged him and he jumped to his feet.

“Wait! Wait, Níniel!”

“Wait? Wait?” Míriel laughed, a chilling laugh full of contempt. “That was ever your counsel. Would that I had heeded! But now it is too late, and now I will wait no more upon Middle-Earth.” Her arms opened wide, as if she was beckoning Death itself into her embrace. “Water, water! Take now Níniel Nienor daughter of Húrin; Mourning, Mourning, daughter of Morwen! Take me and bear me down to the Sea! It is… too late” she repeated, her voice dulled to a whisper, a tear rolling down her ivory cheek.

For a while, nobody moved nor spoke. The resulting silence had a thunderous quality to Elendil’s ears. The last repetition was not in the original text, he thought, but he could not see why that should matter to anyone, not even to someone with Vorondil’s standards of perfection. That scene had been… he could not find words at first to describe it. Only when the Prince struggled to his feet, and everybody found their voices back, he felt himself regaining his wits enough to pinpoint it: the scene had been hers, in a way that whatever she chose to speak or do became the correct version, and nothing else.

He shivered.

“Míriel, dear… beloved… it is nothing. I am here.” Vorondil crooned in her ear as he cradled her in his arms, as if she was a child. Her tears did not stop falling, and Lord Hiram shook his head.

“I think we should call it a day”, Elendil spoke then, for a moment feeling, for some twisted reason, that he was still responsible for her. “The rehearsal has been long, and it is starting to take its toll on us.”

Nobody argued against this, not even Vorondil, who carefully helped her to her feet, an arm laid across her shoulder for support. As they abandoned the room, Hannon followed them from the corner of his eye, torn between relief and shocked fascination.

“Poor thing”, Kadrani muttered. Lord Hiram fulminated her with his glance.

“She is the Princess of the West. That talk is treason.”

“But I was just…” Her cheeks reddened; even under all that makeup, her embarrassment was visible. “She… I did not mean…”

“Father needs help preparing his next Council session. We should depart” he cut her, before she could finish her sentence. Both she and her brother followed him to the door, leaving Elendil and Lady Eluzîni of Hyarnustar alone in the room.

“Excellent!” she celebrated, while she struggled to sit on the balls of her feet. Her gaze fell on him, her lips curving in an expectant smile. “Can we have a drink now?”

Elendil was busy. He was very busy, and this absurd Court play was consuming so much of his time that not a day passed by without him cursing the hour in which the King and the Prince had conceived this stupid idea.

“I cannot see why not”, he said.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

There was still some wine left from the Princess of the West’s jar, enough to fill two cups, if not to the brim. Of course, they could have had someone bring more, or even relocated to a more pleasant spot, but everyone in the Court knew that they should not be disturbed during rehearsals, and they wished to continue taking advantage of that for as long as possible. Though at some point they will begin wondering what we could be rehearsing on our own, Elendil thought, his embarrassment growing as the truth of his present position began dawning in his mind. Courtiers would gossip. And Lady Eluzîni…

Eluzîni’s position, when it came to Court gossip, was at the same time infinitely weaker and infinitely stronger than his. There were already all sorts of things being said about her, and she could count on anything she did being distorted in the foulest ways. On the other hand, all that gossip seemed to have made her invulnerable to more gossip. As she had put it once -on the same day she had danced, if Elendil remembered well- it was possible that, after a while, some would tire of always hearing the same stories about her, while others might begin wondering if things could have been blown out of proportion by jealous slanderers.

He, on the other hand… there had been no gossip about him, at least since the Princess confessed her love for other man right in the middle of a feast. Even there, his role had not been precisely that of a womanizer, he thought, trying to isolate and somehow defuse the shame he still felt whenever he remembered about it. He was the laughable fool who had his betrothed -they had never been betrothed, but tales grew with time- stolen from under his nose.

Would any Court gossip involving Lady Eluzîni and himself make things better, or worse? At once, he found himself wondering where that foolish thought could have come from. Surely, Court gossip had never made things better for anyone.

“Who would have said it? My cousins seemed shocked to discover how good an actress the Princess of the West is.” Eli smiled, drinking a sip of the wine in her cup. “Perhaps they never watched her as closely as you did.”

This came so close to what he had been thinking before that he was forced to hide his surprise.

“Knowing is not enough” he argued, sitting down next to her. “Sometimes, it is hard to know when she is acting, and when it is real. That scene she played... it could have been real. It could have been in the past, or it could have been in the future.”

“Or, as Lady Kadrani would put it when she is in treasonous mood, poor thing.” She made a grimace. “Though not as much as some seem to believe. But enough about her; I am done committing treason for today. Do you think that my dear cousin will have his play finished in time for the summer feast?”

“I hope so”, he replied, glad for this change of subject. “I will be quite relieved to be able to put this behind me.”

“Really?” Her lips curved in a pout. “But I am enjoying myself immensely! We should do this more often. Pretending to be someone else is fun enough, but watching them fumble around and make a mess of it… oh, it is hilarious!”

“I fail to see what is hilarious about this constant bickering, fighting and repeating.”

“That is because you are the most boring person I have ever met.”

“Thank you.” He drank from his wine, using the cup to hide his face. His voice sounded even, with a touch of dry humour that he had perfected from his various interactions with her, but deep inside he was feeling strangely dejected.

“Then again, sometimes you can be boring and funny at the same time. Lord Ithobal’s nephew, the short one who was Overseer of the Palace Gardeners, never laughed, but he had a way to make others laugh. Only, I was never quite sure whether it was intentional.”

Oh yes, another entry in her unending list of lovers. Had she bedded all of them, as the most malicious whisperers said, or was it more slander? But if it was, why would she talk about them so much?

And why was there a heavy weight in his stomach whenever she mentioned one of them, with the blissfully innocent air of someone who did not know how much harm she could be inflicting upon herself? It was not his problem what she chose to do with her reputation, after all.

“You seem to be bothered by something”, she observed. Elendil blinked, thinking about his next move. It looked easy enough: all he had to do was smile, and claim it was nothing important.

“Have you ever thought about marriage?” he asked instead. Her eyes widened, and for a moment his widened as well. Had he really said that?

“Are you proposing to me, or merely trying to insinuate something?” she asked coolly. This choice, as far as Elendil was concerned, was a death trap.

“Well, I was simply… wondering if…” He drank half of the cup in one swallow, and felt the warmth of the wine spreading through his body, giving him courage, perhaps, but no ideas about what to say. He should never have been alone with a woman. “You do not seem… interested in it, while most women of your age are.”

“And men”, she retorted, staring pointedly at him.

“Well, I know I will be married someday, whether I am interested or not.” Whenever they finally managed to decide who the second best option should be, he mused. “But I… I could not help but wonder about you, because you… you are a wonderful woman, beautiful and clever, and you have many admirers.” From the corner of his eye, he saw that his compliments had not mollified her, and felt tempted to give up. What was he doing, anyway? “If you were able to… I mean, does any of them see you as a prospect, or just… I do not know, in your situation, what kind of proposal… “Pathetic. He was a fool, far more than he had ever been where the Princess Míriel was concerned. “I am sorry. I did not mean to offend you.”

“You did not mean to offend me?” She shook her head in amazement. “By asking me if I am able to marry? By all the Baalim, this is as offensive as one could ever hope to be towards a lady!”

“I am sorry”, Elendil repeated. He had not been very articulate, but she still had managed to figure out the gist of his rudeness.

Then, her hand covered her mouth, and she made a soft noise, halfway between a groan and a snort of dry laughter.

“But perhaps I should believe you. If someone could be this clueless without meaning to offend, it is you.” In normal circumstances, Elendil would not know whether to feel insulted, but at this moment, his relief that she was still talking to him drowned any other consideration. “Well, I will tell you something, then. In my life, I have met many decent men and I have met many idiots. “Figure out which of the categories fits you, she might have added, but it was already implied in her look. “I have not wished to marry any of them so far. And why should I? I can live on my own, my uncle’s money pays for everything, and if my father has not been able to deplete the coffers of the House of Hyarnustar with the things he is usually up to, I doubt that I could manage that feat in a hundred lives.”

“I see…”

“However.” Her voice deepened, and for a moment it reminded him of the inflection she gave to it whenever she was playing the dragon in their rehearsals. “If I had wanted to marry, I could have had my pick of the noblest men in the realm. As you say, I am beautiful and clever, and I am also rich and from the line of Indilzar. Oh, yes, my father and my mother are not married. And yes, she was a dancer.” That was what he had been thinking as she spoke, but damn it if he was going to say it now. “There was a time when nobody used to care about that, but now it has become the latest fashion to think that bastards are the result of a violence done to the marriage bond. “She laughed, but it seemed to him that she did not look very amused. Her grey eyes had lost the spark that he had grown used to see there, and he began to realize the full extent of his mistake. “Well, what is it to me? My father never married any other woman. No marriage bond, no violence. As far as anyone knows, she could have been the love of his life.”

But she wasn’t, the thought fluttered, unsaid, between them. Suddenly, he wanted to do strange things, like holding her close and telling her that it did not matter to him, or perhaps even falling on his knees and asking for her forgiveness.

As if evoked by the similarity of this thought, the words that his mother had said to him long ago echoed in his mind.

Let her know that you still love her in spite of everything, and that you will never love another. Fall on your knees and beg her to take you back.

Never, he had thought then. And he had meant it.

What did he mean now?

“My… mother and my father did not marry until after I was conceived” he said, after a long while. “He did not tell her who he truly was and pretended to be a merchant of Sor who had entered priesthood. Many years later, when he came back and she realized the truth, she stopped loving him. They live together to keep the appearances, but their marriage bond is dead.”

“Really?” She looked genuinely surprised. “And I who thought that your family had always been the holiest of the holy! The untouchable paragon of virtue for us mortals to aspire to!”

There was a touch of bitterness in her tone. Could it be…?

“That” he said, as firmly and as intently as he could make his voice sound,” is all nonsense.”

She smiled. As she did so, he saw the spark again, twinkling in her eye for a moment before disappearing so fast that he had to wonder if the light had played a trick on him. But no, it had definitely been there.

“Well, then. Maybe you are not so boring as I had hought.”

And before he could realize what was happening, she stood on her feet, kissed him, and walked away.

Shadows of War

Read Shadows of War

Amandil allowed himself to close his eyes briefly, then opened them again to stare at the semicircle where he had sat for many years, listening to words, learning names and observing faces, factions and intrigues until he knew them as well as the back of his hand. At this moment, he felt as if this had all been an illusion, and the Council he had known so well was not the one in front of him anymore. The dark currents, which had always been buried deep underneath a veneer of courtesy, had emerged with a vengeance, threatening to engulf them with the blind violence of the Wave in his dreams.

“We have to destroy them! Kill them all!”

“And their allies in the Island! It is our duty to free Númenor from their corrupting influence!”

At the right end of the Council Chamber, the landholders were the most violent in their display. Amandil thought he had seen a fell light shine in Lord Zakarbal’s eyes that would not have been out of place among the Haradrim who slit the throats of the Sea People.

“My lords… please…”

The left end, in deep contrast, had the forlorn look of a battlefield after the fight was over. Amandil counted four empty Council seats, eight places in total, which was unprecedented, as far as he knew, in all of the Council’s history. He had been told that Magon had fled Armenelos in the night, and his net of associates was so wide that it was impossible to determine where he had gone. The Magistrate of Umbar had decided it was prudent to withdraw as well, and as for the Prince Gimilkhâd, rumour had it that neither he nor his wife were allowed to leave the South Wing of the palace. Finally, in the row of the courtiers, the Chamberlain, who was kin to Ithobal, Gimilkhâd’s foster brother, had disappeared too, whether by his own decision or that of others, Amandil could not tell. Only a bald man stood alone in the row of empty seats, wearing a splendid leopard mantle that could not hide the trembling of his hands, or the increasing pallor of his face as he tried, in vain, to stem the flow of the tide.

Amandil had always hated the Governor of Sor, but today he was almost tempted to feel sorry for him.

“Please, listen!” His voice was shrill, with none of its usual dignity. “I say there is not enough proof…”

“Not enough proof?” Shemer of Hyarnustar scoffed. “Did you hear the witnesses? Were you listening to Lord Amandil? Not only have they committed treason by allying themselves with the Arnians to stop the supply line, they went as far as to join hands with Mordor as well! With Mordor, the land ruled by the darkest enemy of all men! They stole the hostages, and massacred countless Númenóreans while their representatives had the effrontery of sitting here among us, discussing the governance of the realm as if nothing had happened! Isn’t that right, Lord Amandil?”

“Yes”, Amandil nodded. “That is what happened.”

Looking at that man, he had the definite impression that the Mordor alliance had been news to him. He was a pathetic excuse for a military commander, as blind to the manoeuvring of his allies as he had been to the goings-on in the mainland for years. Now, this would cost him his post, at the very least, he thought darkly. The hounds had smelled blood, and it was driving them mad.

 “Lord Amandil was very brave; he survived countless ambushes and managed to reach Númenor with his men, in spite of the deadly snares of his enemies. If he had not done so, we would still be sitting here, in blissful ignorance of the fact that the Bay had been given over to the Dark Lord, while those vipers spun their tales to lure us into a false sense of security!”

The words of Zakarbal elicited yet another wave of loud indignation. Cowed, the governor did not reply, retreating even more, if it was possible, into his seat.

“My lord King, it is inevitable. We must go to war and wipe this scum and all their accomplices from the face of Earth once and for all!”

At least, Amandil had the grim satisfaction of knowing that his dreams and premonitions were not figments of his imagination, and that the gift of the line of Elros still ran true. Since he had first known of the King’s plans to settle Pelargir, they had been warning him that this would happen, and so it had. And if it had not been for his father and the strange magic of those Elves he associated with, he thought, he would have been dead now because of it.

As it had happened often since that day, he had to struggle not to surrender to the feeling of unreality that came upon him whenever he remembered those events, threatening to dissociate his mind from what was unfolding around him. He was here now. He was alive, and neither this disaster nor his role in it were over.

It had just begun.

Next to him, Tar-Palantir’s was the only face in the room that had not shown any signs of emotion. So far, he had abstained from most of the debate, giving free rein to whatever abuse the Council members had wished to pile upon one another.

Now, for the first time in a long while, he spoke.

“Lord Zakarbal is right. The situation has reached a point where we can hardly turn a blind eye to the happenings in the mainland any longer. The survival of Númenor itself is at stake, and for that we will have to go to war.”

The effect of his words was immediate. An ear-splitting roar of approval swept the room, reminding Amandil of the yells of barbarian tribesmen before clashing with their enemies on the battlefield. He closed his eyes again, disquieted by the memories that this had evoked in his mind. Perhaps he should have listened to Amalket, when she said that it would do him no good to rush into a battle before he had recovered from another. But, what else could he have done? He had made it this far from the dark forest where he was first ambushed; barricading himself in his residence and refusing all summons was not an option.

As if from a distance, he heard Yehimelkor’s voice rise in righteous anger, accusing the King of causing civil strife out of an unholy wish to control the mainland, and the various outraged voices that rose in response. Tar Palantir’s own voice, he noticed, was not among them. He seemed to have decided that a grave and regretful attitude was the most adequate frame of mind with which to begin a war between Númenóreans.

Maybe he regretted it in truth. Maybe Amandil was merely too dispirited to see good in anyone at this moment.

“We will be sending word to the Prince Pharazôn in Umbar at the shortest notice.”

The King’s words brought Amandil back from his thoughts so abruptly that he almost gave a start. He was not the only one: the same people who had been eager for war looked first incredulous, then scandalized at this unexpected development.

“What? The Prince Pharazôn? He is not trustworthy! He… he is their kinsman!”

“Magon the traitor is his cousin!”

“His mother was surely involved in this!”

“He will join hands with them and turn on the Sceptre!” Lord Shemer predicted. “He always thought that he should be King instead of the Princess of the West!”

“There is no other.” Tar Palantir’s voice carried over the din in the room, causing it to stop. “Who among you would lead the Umbar troops to the Bay against Gadir and the combined might of their allies of Arne and Mordor? Who among you would be followed into battle by the Haradric auxiliary troops?”

For a moment, Amandil’s gaze met that of Elendil, and he could feel his son’s dismay as he silently shook his head at him from the other side of the room. He forced himself to ignore it.

“Let me do it, my lord King.”

Elendil looked down. The Council, however, seemed to grasp this opportunity as they would a lifeline.

“That is true! Let Lord Amandil go! He is the greatest hero of Númenor, and the leader of the Faithful!”

“He knows the land, and survived in it for days with only a handful of men!”

But Tar-Palantir shook his head.

“No. Amandil will have to stay here this time.” Before Amandil could open his mouth again, he stood from his seat. “This Council session is over. We will reconvene tomorrow to discuss the expedition. Praised be Eru the Almighty.”

Oblivious to everything else, from proper ceremony to the voices that called to him and even to Elendil’s reproachful look, Amandil strode past the threshold of the Council Chamber, and rushed down the corridor in pursuit of the King.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil had never broken so many rules in the Palace, not even when he was brought in prisoner as a young child. Since the mask of civilization had finally cracked that day in the Council chamber, when the most powerful and esteemed men in Númenor rose to yell for the blood of their rivals, he felt as if he, too, had reverted to his Middle-Earth self, and all his efforts to hide it or turn back from it were failing.

“My lord! My lord King!” Scandalized courtiers stared at him, and ladies covered their mouths with their sleeves in shock, but he did not stop. As he approached Tar Palantir in the Second Courtyard, two men gathered around him protectively, as if they expected Amandil to suddenly brandish a sword at the King of Númenor.

“You can leave us alone now”, Tar Palantir ordered, stopping at last. When he turned to face him in this incongruously sunny landscape of bright flowers and running fountains, Amandil paused for a second, realizing the enormity of what he was doing, and the dangers he was incurring.

But it was already too late.

“My lord King, I…” He inhaled sharply; the chase had left him breathless. “I beg you to reconsider.”

The King would not let go of his irritating composure.

“Why are you so eager to go back to Middle-Earth and risk your life again? You were almost lost forever this time, and that would have been a terrible outcome, for Númenor no less than for those who love you”, he spoke. His concern suddenly seemed just as incongruous to Amandil as the gardens around them.

“You cannot send Pharazôn to Gadir.”

“I thought that you were childhood friends.” Now, the King’s equanimity was tinged with a small amount of surprise. “Do you also believe that he and his parents are part of the Merchant Princes’s conspiracy, and that he will turn against the Sceptre?”

That was not the right question. Not by a long stretch. “Do you believe that, my lord King?” And if you do, what is your long-term game? Are you trying to destroy Númenor just in the hope of destroying Pharazôn?

Tar Palantir’s look was guarded.

“You do not speak your accusations, and yet I can see them in your eyes. Perhaps you need to calm your righteous anger and reflect on this. If anyone who is not Pharazôn is sent to the mainland to take command of his troops, do you think he would not be able to prevent it? And if we leave his troops aside, raise another army in Númenor and deploy it so close to Umbar, wouldn’t he be able to stop them as well? Whether in direct command or not, whether by our will or not, he now holds the key of everything that happens in the mainland. If he is in the conspiracy, whoever goes there will be killed. My son-in-law has volunteered, you have volunteered, but I cannot allow either of you to go. It has to be him. This way, at least, we do not put our most valuable resources at risk.”

In another moment, Amandil might have indulged in some inner amusement, wondering how that idiot Prince Vorondil would have fared against the likes of Magon or Noxaris, let alone Sauron. Pharazôn would definitely have wiped the floor with him, if he had been involved in the conspiracy.

“So, you are suspicious of him.”

“He is related to the Merchant Princes of Gadir through his mother. And his closeness to the Princess of the South is well known by all.” That was true enough. Even Amandil had not been sure of how he would be received in Umbar when he brought news of their treachery, he remembered. But back then, his life had been threatened on many fronts, and he might have mistrusted his own kin, had they showed up. And in the end, he had chosen to trust, hadn´t he? If the Elves had not arrived, he would have gone to Pharazôn.

“I cannot claim that he likes you, or agrees with everything that you do, my lord King, but he is loyal to the Sceptre. He… he was estranged from his father, because he refused to fight for what the Prince of the South believed to be his birthright, and stayed in the mainland to avoid their intrigues.” It felt strange to divulge his friend’s confidences, almost like betrayal, even more so in front of the King. “But if you force him out of this position, and order him to fight his own kin…”

“Yes?” Tar-Palantir had the look of a teacher who was expecting his student to find the correct answer to something by himself, instead of telling him outright.

Damn, Amandil cursed angrily in his mind. He had talked himself into a corner. He could either claim to believe in Pharazôn’s loyalty, which would mean that the King’s approach was justified, or he could cast aspersions upon his friend’s character, which he refused to do. Saying that he did not want Pharazôn to be in this untenable position because he was his friend and his heart grieved for him was out of place in this conversation, in this Palace, and in this company. Who cared for what he wanted or did not want to happen, when Númenor was, for the first time in centuries, in real danger?

Yes, he thought, the danger looked real enough. Many lives were at stake, perhaps the colonies and the entire mainland. Should the troops of Umbar revolt now, and join the Merchant Princes, the Arnians… and Mordor

But no, he realized in a sudden flash of lucidity, not Mordor. That was an impossible alliance, and deep inside the King must know it, too. That was why he was so calm, so composed in this delicate situation. Though he claimed to despise his brother’s family, he knew just as well as Amandil did that Pharazôn would never become an ally of Sauron. To send him there was not a wild gamble with Númenor as stakes: it was merely a calculated risk. If the King would not send Amandil in his stead, it was not because he was concerned for his safety, but because he had a double objective in sight: to win this war, and also to destroy the Merchant Princes and Pharazôn’s reputation among his allies in one single swipe. For so long, he had prevented his nephew from gaining glory in the mainland; now, he could finally go and gain all the glory he wanted, though at a price.

Amandil was appalled at this uncanny ability to take immediate advantage of the most ominous of setbacks. When had Tar Palantir developed it? Maybe it was in the blood of all the Kings of Númenor, to know how to manipulate the Council and their own kinsmen for their own purposes, as if they were nothing but puppets to be moved at will. Maybe it was good for the realm, and the reason why it had lasted for thousands of years.

All that he knew for sure, however, was that it nauseated him.

“I apologize for my poor behaviour, my lord King.” It was possible that his feelings were visible to him even now, but he did not think that he could help it. They were too strong. “It seems I am still affected by my experiences in the mainland.”

Tar-Palantir nodded gravely. For a moment, his sea-grey eyes met his.

“Your apology is accepted, lord Amandil. If this knowledge is of any use to you, I, too, wish that things could have happened differently.”

Amandil swallowed, and lowered his head in a bow.

“I am glad to know that, my lord King.” But it was of no use to him.

No use to him, and much less to Pharazôn, the thought came to his mind as he stood there, oblivious of the courtiers who dashed past him, and watched the King of Númenor disappear through the Painted Gallery at a brisk pace.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He had never been very fond of incense, of its heavy scent smelling of long and tedious ritual, which intensified to the point of nausea when it became necessary to hide the smell of blood. Outside, he tolerated it for the sake of appearances, and of course she would always bring traces of it in her robes and her hair. But here, after several days and nights, he could not stand it any longer, any more than the monotonous drone of the litanies, which seemed to bear into his skull and pierce the remainder of his scattered thoughts.

“Will you ever stop praying?” he shouted above the chants. The woman’s voice died, but she did not move an inch from her bowed position before the altar, as if she had merely switched to moving her lips in silence.

Gimilkhâd approached her.

“I understand your wish to do your duty towards your father.” That old bastard had lived too long, in his opinion, and now he had left them with this mess. “But I believe there are more pressing concerns at this moment. Magon has not been found yet, and I just heard that war has been declared against the magistrates of Gadir and their allies.”

Melkyelid did not answer for a while. Then, with an air of reluctance, she bowed thrice, and looked away from the ivory throne of the Lady of the Seas.

“Indeed?”

“Yes. The King has declared it, and the Council was very supportive of his decision. Or what remains of the Council, I should say.”

“Oh.”

He was beginning to grow angry at her attitude. She should be as interested in this subject as he was, pestering him with questions and desperately looking for information. After all, it was her family who had been declared traitors, her cousin who had run away from Armenelos to hide from the King, and her city in rebellion against the Sceptre, not to mention in collusion with the Dark Lord of Mordor. She should be worried for them as well as for herself, but all she did was pray, as if prayer could solve any of this! Even worse; whenever he tried to talk to her, she seemed to treat his news as a mere distraction.

She had always been religious, which as a former priestess was nothing but understandable, but before, there had been purpose behind her worship for the Lady. Like there had been purpose behind Magon’s alliances with the barbarians, and his undermining of the Sceptre, until the insane bastard decided to invite the Dark Lord to his front yard and screwed them all.

“There is something else. Your precious son is going to lead the troops to the Bay of Gadir.”

This time, she did show emotion. With a look of sadness, she gazed at the hands she had crossed over her lap, and involuntarily, Gimilkhâd’s eyes travelled in the same direction. The new lines of age he saw on them disquieted him a little.

“Yes, I know. I heard.”

“You heard? How…oh, never mind.” Always with her mysterious nets of spies, he thought, his anger growing as he pondered the implications. “If you know so much about everything, how did your own family’s plans escape you? Or perhaps they did not?”

Could she have been making a fool of him in collusion with them?

“They did, as I knew not of them, but I will gladly pretend that I did if you believe that it would clear you of suspicion.” she replied, raising her glance to meet his. Gimilkhâd’s train of thought stopped dead at her look, and he cursed.

“I did not mean… I was not accusing you, or trying to lay the blame on you”, he apologized, ashamed. “You are my wife, and I will protect you.”

“I know” she smiled, even as the tiny voice in his head accused him of being a hypocrite and a coward. What could he protect her from? All his allies, his titles, his high blood, could avail him nothing in this situation. Even worse, the entire outcome might well depend on their son, that selfish shit who had always ignored his wishes since he was a child, and done exactly as he wanted in all matters.

“If Pharazôn refuses to do the King’s dirty work, do you think that we will be charged with treason? After all, we are nothing but hostages here.”

“If he refuses, he will disappear in barbarian land and never come back, for he will not join hands with the Dark Lord. He will live his life in exile, and he will never be King.”

He will never be King? Are you mad? Is this all you can think about now? Your family, your city, even our own lives are on the line!”

“You are the King’s brother. Your life is not on the line” she argued, her voice raised slightly above her usual soft tone. Gimilkhâd was taken aback a little. “Now, if Pharazôn does his duty, you will be cleared of all suspicion. As for the rest, I do not worry: my family is this family, and my city is this city, as it was ever since the day I married you.”

And you son is all that matters in this world, he thought, bitterly. Even now, in spite of knowing that Pharazôn doing his duty would be the best outcome for him personally, her indifference to all the other things she had ever claimed to love felt outrageous, almost  -monstrous.

Would she let him go like this, too, if Pharazôn was threatened?

He did not wish to contemplate the answer to that.

“So, you want him to destroy our allies, your people, so he can be King one day. Whose King, I wonder! If he agrees to work for our enemies, soon he will be seen as one of them, but they will never accept him.”

“That is what the King wants.” Her golden forehead curved in a frown. “Far-seeing they call him, and indeed he is. He has predicted this outcome, and he will take advantage of it. But there are other far-seeing people in this world, some more than he. And the Queen of the Sacred Cave, she sees farther than any mortal.”

That, again. Gimlkhâd shook his head in irritation.

“If you claim to see with the Lady’s eyes, perhaps you should have prevented this from happening, instead of making vague prophecies that do not avail us now.”

“Perhaps it is not our place to prevent what the gods have in store for us” she retorted calmly. “All we can do is learn how to react to it.”

“I did not know my brother was a god”, he snorted, turning away to leave the room. Behind him, after a brief silence, he heard her voice taking up the litany again, as if nothing of consequence had interrupted it.

Later, as he tried to find an elusive sleep on his empty bed, he thought he could still hear her, monotonously muttering the words of the Goddess in the darkness of the night.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“These are the conditions.” Pharazôn sat at the makeshift chair, which sunk a little on the sand of the beach from his armoured weight. He felt restless, and, at the same time, so very tired. “You open the gates of the city, you return the hostages, and you and the rest of the council, including the Magistrate, surrender for trial. Now, do you accept them, or not?”

The man in front of him -some merchant sent as an envoy by the Magistrate, probably after drawing the shortest straw in the city council- had a strange way of conducting talks. He nodded attentively, giving the impression that he was listening to everything that was said, but then, instead of replying, he persisted in entangling him in his own gibberish.

“Perhaps, my lord, it might be more advisable to negotiate in the city, ah, protected from indiscreet ears and eyes. As I was saying, this way you can see with your own eyes that the hostages are alive and well-treated, and some trust can be gained by both parts. Then, we could proceed to…”

He had only been sitting for a moment, but he already felt the urge to stand again. Behind him, he could imagine Adherbal rolling his eyes, and Barekbal’s forehead twitching.

“Shut up, you stupid fool!” The merchant’s retinue stared at him in shock, seemingly not appreciative of the great levels of restraint he had been exercising for the previous half hour. If it had been anyone else, anywhere else, it would not matter whether they were standing before the Black Gate itself, he would have had him shot and given the order to attack. “I have repeated myself enough, I will do so once again. Do you accept the conditions, or not?”

“I am sorry, my lord prince. Those are not the conditions we voted on before I left, so I would have to return and ask for instructions. Unless you are willing to negotiate on the terms that…”

“Look.” Pharazôn took a sharp intake of breath, forcing himself to dismiss the growing suspicion that they had deliberately sent this idiot because they had no intention of surrendering. “You appear to be under the wrong impression that I was sent here to negotiate with you. I was not. I am not authorized to conduct any kind of negotiations or to alter the conditions decided by the King and his Council, only to see them done.”

The merchant looked left and right, then leaned forward, as if trying not to be overheard. Suddenly, he did not look so much like a bumbling fool, and more like a calculating tradesman.

“My lord, I know you are here by order of the Sceptre, but I am sure you wish to arrive to a peaceful solution as much as we do. Your own flesh and blood have dwelt in this city for generations uncounted, and your radiant mother used to tend to the Lady’s statue in the temple. Moreover, we are very rich, and there is nothing we would not be willing to pay for...”

“I am not authorized to commit treason, either” Pharazôn cut the man loudly. Damn him. And Magon. And the King. And Amandil.

“Do we… detain him?” Barekbal asked with an intent frown. He shook his head.

“No! Escort him back to his boat. He has to go back to the city council to correct some misinformation they seem to have received by mistake, and then come back with their new answer.” The envoy did not rise at this cue, and for a moment he even seemed about to open his mouth to say something else. Then, however, he felt the soldier’s hand on his shoulder and immediately stood up, his face as pale as if he had been attacked. As they made their way down the beach, Pharazôn could still hear him complaining about this unbelievable show of rudeness towards the colony’s chosen spokesperson.

“Rudeness? He is lucky to be alive! He came here to waste your time, and tried to bribe you into the bargain!” Adherbal snorted. “As a matter of fact, you showed remarkable restraint.”

“This is not Harad, and they are not a barbarian tribe!”, Pharazôn hissed. “This is one of the greatest colonies of Númenor, and the most ancient of all. It contains the oldest of the Great Temples, and it is also home to people of great nobility.”

Your family. Neither Adherbal nor Barekbal needed to say it aloud; he could read it in their faces.

“You are right, my lord prince.” It might have been his imagination, but it seemed to him that there was a conspiratorial air to Adherbal’s next look in his direction. “We will abide by whatever decision you make.”

Pharazôn let go of a long breath. He was even more tired than moments ago, more tired, he thought, than he had ever been in his life. And still, the restlessness would not leave.

“I do not make any decisions here”, he said, turning away from them to head towards the ruins of Amandil’s fort.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Night was falling as Pharazôn walked back across the surf, his body gradually becoming aware of the slight chill of the breeze near the river. Above his head, the sky was still red, with the eerie colour of newly spilled blood. At what seemed like a short distance, he could hear his men’s comings and goings, but he had no wish to approach them.

He knew that he had little ground to stand on, when he reviled the city envoy for his short-sighted folly. For he, too, was acting like a fool, like a coward who waited for things to rearrange themselves to accommodate his needs, while in his innermost of hearts he was terrified of acting. This fear was a strange feeling, and entirely new to him, but he did not know how to make it go away. All he could do was pretend in front of his men and in front of his enemies; lie through his teeth, and claim that he did not make any decisions, like all cowards did.

Of course you make the decisions, you fool, he thought bitterly. You have the army, the King only has the Sceptre. What are you afraid of?

But that was not how things worked, the more reasonable part of himself, the one that he always imagined sounding like Amandil, attempted to argue. He could not disobey orders without rebelling, and even if his men followed him, even if he could get away with it, he would find himself caught between Númenor and Mordor. If he fled, he could become a renegade, maybe a king somewhere, but he would never see the Island again, or his mother and father-  or her. And damn if he knew why he would ever want to see her, but there she was, buried deep under his skin like an ever-festering wound.

Who knew the King could be such a clever bastard? Many believed him to be a high and pious man, of those who stood above mundane matters and the pettiness of politics, but anyone who could entrap him in such a manner had to spend at least half of his prayers thinking up schemes. Others in his faction would have been scared to put him in charge of this business, believing that he would betray them, join hands with the rebels and overthrow the Sceptre. They would not even remember that Mordor had to factor in the equation, or worse, they would believe him capable of dealing with Sauron. After all, his cousin Magon had, hadn’t he? Who among them knew that Pharazôn could not care less for his cousin Magon, or remembered that he had been fighting Sauron’s allies for all his life? Amandil, maybe, but he probably could not risk defending Pharazôn in such illustrious company.

Pharazôn did not care for Magon, for his so-called Gadirite family, or for the city itself. It was beautiful, yes, and ancient, but it was not worth committing treason. Still, there were two important issues to consider here. One of them, the one that was probably in the forefront of the King’s mind, was that they had always been his father’s natural allies, and that fighting them would destroy his family’s footing in the Island. The other, the one that was in his mind, was his mother. His mother, who misled him with outlandish prophecies of grandeur, but still loved him more than anyone else in the world. Since he was a child, she had raised him on stories about her beloved city, its beaches, its channel, its giant trees with floating roots, its ancient temple of the Lady among the seashell rocks. She had told him about the tall houses full of towers, where they would climb to see their ships arrive, loaded with merchandise from distant lands. She had spoken of her love for her family of merchants, and always did her best to explain the honour and the glory that she saw in their profession, though many noblemen in Armenelos considered them to be beneath their notice. Pharazôn had nodded through all of this, rolled his eyes more often than not, and privately agreed with the noblemen of Armenelos. He had visited the city often, and his kinsmen, but in spite of his efforts he had never felt comfortable around them. When the opportunity had arisen, he had double-crossed them and snatched Amandil away from their grasp without even thinking twice: of course, the life of his friend had to come first.

And yet, through all of this, he had always remained certain of her feelings. If a solution was not reached soon, if he was forced to destroy the city, it would be like killing her with the same stroke.

“My lord! My lord prince!”

“What is it?” he barked, not happy to be disturbed. It was a young man, who advanced towards him a little too slowly. Pharazôn did his best to school his features into a less frightening expression. “Is that a letter? From the King?”

“No. I mean, y-yes, it is a letter, but no, it doesn’t have the King’s seal.”

“Well, give it to me, then!”

The young man obeyed, and quickly turned away. The faint glow of the receding dusk was barely enough to see the words on the paper, but still Pharazôn broke the seal and tried to read it. It was a very brief note, so short that he began to wonder if it could be a real letter, but then his eyes fell upon the signature, and his heart turned.

“How on Earth…?” he began, but of course it was useless. The man who had brought the letter was now half a beach away.

As fast as if a horde of Orcs was chasing him, Pharazôn grabbed it and headed towards the encampment, which consisted on tents hastily set inside the ruins of the fort. Several men stared at him, and some tried to address him, but he did not pay heed to any of them, and did not pause until he was in the privacy of his tent.

To the Prince Pharazôn, legate to the King in Pelargir, the lady Melkyelid, Princess of the South, in Armenelos,

My dearest son,

I will forgive you everything, except for a single thing: that you fail to fulfil your destiny. Look no more to the past, and set your gaze upon the future.

Your loving mother.

Unsettled, Pharazôn stared at the message as if it had just dropped from the sky, instead of been delivered by a regular channel. This letter had been written weeks ago, it had been carried on horseback, on a ship, on a boat, but somehow it had come to him right at the moment when he was thinking of her, to provide an answer to his anguished thoughts. It was almost unthinkable. How could she have known? When he was young, he was sure that she must have prophetic powers of some sort, at least before everything she professed to have been building began to crumble in front of their eyes.

Fulfil his destiny.

No matter what happened, she had kept this obsession with his glorious fate. He could not understand it. How could she still choose those elusive dreams, even over her own, living people? Had the gods enlightened her beyond other mortals, or were they blinding her?

How could he ever be sure?

That night, as he finally surrendered to a fitful sleep, he dreamed of her. In his dream, she was smaller and frailer than he remembered her, her once beautiful face laden with wrinkles. She sat on a tower, watching the horizon for something that he could not see.

Come with me, Mother, he begged, offering her his hand, but she would not take it. Fire roared around them, large flames that burned his flesh and filled his nostrils with smoke. Coughing, he looked from the tower, and saw the troops of Umbar lighting the fire. His own army.

Please, Mother, come with me, he insisted, trying to take her arm. Whenever he touched her, however, his hand only grabbed at wisps of smoke.

Suddenly, she smiled.

Fulfil your destiny, she said, and went up in flames.

Pharazôn woke up yelling himself hoarse, surrounded by three guards who had galloped into the tent with their swords unsheathed. Even as he struggled to smile and reassure them that it was nothing, only a dream, the blind terror remained, twisting his innards until the break of dawn.

The Arnian War I

Read The Arnian War I

Melkyelid. Melkyelid.

The Princess of the South gave a start. As her eyes flew open, the first thing they saw were the embers of the altar fire, where she must have fallen asleep in the middle of her prayers. Before her, the Lady of the Seas sat on her throne of ivory, watching over her with an inscrutable golden glance. The weak scent of burnt incense still lingered in the darkness.

“Melkyelid”, the voice repeated. A soft sound of footsteps, one, two, three, and the figure was standing next to her. She was wearing her favourite green silk dress, which brought out the colour of her eyes, and as Melkyelid looked up to meet them, they were as warm and welcoming as ever. “Come with me.”

“Mother”, she replied, simply, letting the woman take her hand and pull her up to a standing position. Her knees ached, and for a moment she stumbled on her feet, but years of practice allowed her to hide her clumsiness by turning it into a welcoming bow.

Iolid laughed.

“Always the proud one! You do not need to pretend in front of me. I have always known you, ever since you were born – no, even before that, since the first time you kicked my womb to let me know that you wanted to go out into the world.” She sobered slightly. “And you went far, indeed.”

Melkyelid was tempted to rub the ache from her joints, but she withstood this temptation, even as her mother turned her back to her to tend to the altar fire that was about to burn out. She did it quickly, in that elegant yet efficient way that her daughters had always watched in awe, dreaming of emulating her when they were older. As the flames began roaring again, the Princess of the South felt a gust of warmth in her chest, like the spirit of life rekindled.

“Why have you come, Mother?” she asked. There had been no messenger, no letter, and in spite of that, she had been allowed past the guards, both those who protected the Palace and those who watched, day and night, over her slightest move since the South Wing had become a prison.

Iolid turned back, gesturing at her to approach.

“To show you.”

Slowly, Melkyelid came to stand beside her, and her eyes, too, gazed into the fire. It seemed to her that it burned brighter than the fire she had tended with her own hands, brighter, in fact, than any other fire in Armenelos. She remembered the fires of Gadir in her childhood, in the temples and the houses, and even those burning in the streets and squares of the city for the summer and winter feasts. How magnificent they had been.

“Look”, Iolid insisted. And Melkyelid saw.

It was her city, their city, anchored like a large ship in the middle of the Bay of Gadir. Behind it, the greater island of Kotine extended its white, sandy slopes for miles, separated by a long yet narrow channel crowded by flocks of crying seagulls. The tide was at its lowest, so rocks could be seen on the surface, almost as if tracing a path for the sea giants of the past to cross from one landmass to the other.

Then, she saw the ships. A large fleet of seaworthy vessels, over a thousand between war galleys and merchant cargo ships, were disposed in ranks between the islands and the mainland on both sides. Most of the ships had been lined up in the wider Eastern strait, while a smaller force held the narrower Western pass. Facing them, a slightly smaller fleet, but composed entirely of war vessels, was sailing towards them. It, too, had been divided in two squadrons, but their disposition was surprising. The largest force had been sent to the Western pass, while the smaller charged at the larger number of enemies.

“There he is”, Iolid said, conversationally, pointing at the prow of the largest warship of the main attack force. Melkyelid looked, and saw Pharazôn, magnificent in his gold and silver steel armour, and the deep blue cloak which Númenórean generals wore at sea. She was taken by a feeling of wonder, as she realized how different this man was from the Pharazôn she had always known. Confined in Armenelos, in a Palace full of people he despised and intrigues he could not face head on, hiding his feelings for a woman who frightened him as much as he loved her, her son had been out of place, like a fish out of the water. Here, however, at the brink of life and death, it was as if he truly came alive, giving orders, moving here and there, wherever he was needed to fight, to kill, to face the enemy with no trace of fear in his eyes and the shadow of a laugh. He was the Lord of Battles come to life, she mused, then blinked in surprise, wondering where that thought had come from.

As if she had guessed what was happening inside her daughter’s head, Iolid frowned.

“There, look!” she insisted, in a tone which indicated displeasure. Apologetically, Melkyelid turned her eyes away from her son, and back to the evolution of the fleets. Back in the Eastern side, the fleet from Umbar did not seem to be making progress. It was all they could do to hold their ground against a superior force, and not retreat in spite of the losses. At some point, part of them began to retreat, and the Gadirites rejoiced, preparing for the pursuit.

In the Western strait, however, the real purpose of the strategy was becoming apparent as it unravelled. The bulk of the Umbar forces had broken the enemy ranks and passed through them, like knife through paper. Melkyelid could see it even before it happened: after sailing around the island, they would meet the Gadirite main fleet, and then the second force would suddenly turn back and close the trap. As dusk fell on the bay of Gadir, the wreck of the Merchant Princes’s naval empire would lie scattered by the waves, red with the blood of the citizens, allies, and mercenaries who had fought for them.

“It is over”, Iolid said, looking away from the fire. Melkyelid, however, stood there gazing for a moment longer, watching the sun set over their beautiful city in the heart of the seas. As she looked at the stone buildings, the cobbled streets, and the white forest of towers gleaming with a thousand lights brought by the terrified spectators, who refused to abandon their lookouts even after it became too dark to see, she found a spark of hope.

“Is it, Mother?” she asked. “The city stands. Without a fleet, they are defenceless. They will have to surrender now, and even if their power is lost, even if the council is broken, they will remain, and endure.”

Iolid shook her head.

“No. They will not endure.”

Melkyelid should have asked her how she could be so sure, but instead of that, she felt the warmth of the fire abandon her chest, and a cold chill settle in its place.

“Mother, please”, she begged, struggling to find her voice. “Do not leave. Stay here with me.” Do not return there.

“I cannot do that. You know why.” Their gazes met, and for a moment, the Gadirite woman looked older than ever, older than the ancient Kings who lived for five hundred years and saw generation after generation of their subjects grow and wither, like leaves scattered by the wind. Melkyelid’s fear became terror. “For my abode is there, and there it will remain until the world ends.”

Her knees gave way, and she fell. She tried to find the right words for the litany, the one she was chanting before sleep took her, in honour of the Lady of the Cave in the Forbidden Bay, but she could not remember them. All she could recall were older words, which she had not spoken for a century.

Words which had been at home in another cave.

“Queen of the seas” she muttered, “guide of sailors, fortune of merchants. Protectress of the Bay, Lady of Gadir. Queen of the seas, guide of sailors, fortune of merchants. Protectress of the Bay, Lady of Gadir.”

When at last she looked up, the eyes of the golden statue were still upon her, fixing her with her impenetrable glance. Iolid was gone and, as if recalling a distant dream, Melkyelid remembered her funeral rites, and how she had travelled across the wide expanse of the Sea to stand over her grave. Her son had been with her then, holding her arm, and there was something which had been said that was pushing at the back of her mind now.

I am sorry, Mother.” Pharazôn looked grave, and at the same time he seemed to be trying for a comforting voice that did not quite come to him. “I know that she meant to visit you in Númenor before she fell ill, but the gods had their own plans, and there is nothing we can do about that.”

Melkyelid smiled sadly.

“The gods made sure that she would not be able to visit me anymore, indeed. But they are still merciful in ways that we do not understand, and they will still allow me to visit her.”

Her hands clenched on her lap. Was this the reason, why she had taken that particular disguise? To remind her of those words before the shellstone mausoleum?

Melkyelid did not need to be reminded. She was well aware of the workings of the divine, more than most people of this age and time. Each manifestation of a particular god had an entity of its own, and upon losing its temple and its worshippers it would inevitably perish, though the god itself would remain. Still, to lose one of such manifestations, one which was beloved and revered among the ancients, was the closest thing to mortality which a god could ever experience. Now, the goddess of Gadir was dying, and she had visited her.

Would she have the strength to return the visit?

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Well, well. I am happy that negotiations have been so productive. For a moment, it almost seemed as if we would never come to an agreement, but fortunately those difficult times are behind us now. “Pharazôn sat on the ivory chair which Adherbal had pulled for him from the large table at the back of the hall. It had taken almost all morning, but finally the entire city council, minus the runaway Magon and his friends, had been rounded up at the council building. They had not opposed much resistance in the way of armed fighting, but a few of them had tried to reach the mainland on boats, and one of them had persevered so well under the cover of the night that he had almost managed to land. That should be the one in common sailor disguise, he mused, and Merimne is not pleased with him. She had been in charge of finding him, and like all the Haradrim, she detested all the water that she could not drink, so now she was having her revenge by dragging him across the floor while hissing abuse in her native language.

“Let him go, Merimne. He is supposed to be paying attention to me now.”

She obeyed, so literally that she threw him face flat on the floor. With a groan, he struggled to his knees while the others stared, their faces very pale. One of them -not the Magistrate, but a younger man Pharazôn had never seen before, perhaps a relative- stood in anger.

“This is outrageous! You have won the battle, but that does not give you the right to treat a Númenórean representative in this fashion, much less give free rein to barbarians like this…this woman!”

“You are no longer a representative in any kind of official capacity, since the King decided you had committed treason against the Sceptre. “Pharazôn reminded him. “Also, I told her to stop.”

“What do you want from us?” Now, this was the Magistrate. Being in Magon’s deep counsel, Pharazôn marvelled at the fact that he had not tried to escape the city earlier and join his associate in Sor or wherever he was. Perhaps he was like one of those sea heroes who went down with their ships. Or perhaps he was just one more useful idiot. “Have you brought us here to kill us?”

“I have been telling your representative what I want for months. I want to enter the city, I want the hostages back, and I want you in Númenor for trial” he replied. “I am in the city now, but the hostages have not been retrieved yet, and you are still here. Now, I know they have been distributed among all your households, but it is a very difficult, not to mention tedious task to find and identify them one by one. If you wish to remain here, at least for the time being, perhaps you should make yourselves useful and collaborate in finding them for me. I need a speedy passage up the Anduin and I need all the tribes on my side before the end of Spring.”

Hearing that their demise was not imminent seemed to give them some courage.

“This is a mistake”, the younger man spoke again. “You must know that we were falsely accused. We only took the hostages to prevent them from falling in the hands of the lord of Mordor!”

“So you say. I would have been more inclined to believe in your innocence before you raised a fleet against me and forced me into battle.”

“That was self-defence!” He did not know who had shouted that; he was not too good with faces. However, it angered him.

“Self-defence against what? Self-defence is invoked against enemies, not against your own king in Armenelos!” He rose from the chair. “Now, tell me where the hostages are, or you will go the way of your fleet!”

The Magistrate hurried to speak before any of the others could make things worse. Perhaps he was not that much of an idiot.

“We will, my lord prince. For the sake of our family and our city, we will collaborate with you, and do our best to help you retake the Bay.” He gave a long look to the man who had spoken in the back, who lowered his eyes to avoid his glance. “And we will endeavour to prove our innocence.”

If it was me you had to convince, you would have no chance, Pharazôn thought, but did not say it. As much as he would like to take his frustration out on them, the matter remained that he needed their cooperation, at least for now. The war had just started, and while he took his troops upriver, he could not afford trouble behind his back. They had not surrendered peacefully, far from it, but the fact remained that the city was still standing, and he intended to keep it that way, if only for his mother’s sake.

“Then”, he said, “let us start.”

From the place where she had stood for most of the conversation, propped against the wall and watching them with a sideways glance, he could see Merimne shake her head, and spit on the floor in disgust.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“So.” He stared intently at the list, then at the Magistrate, scrutinizing his features for a hint of nervousness that could alert him to further double-dealing. “Twenty boys, fourteen girls, twenty-seven women, is that all?”

“Yes, my lord”, the man replied calmly. He had some nerve; though a prisoner, and followed everywhere by soldiers who reported on his every move, he had dressed himself in all his Magistrate finery as soon as he had been able, complete with bejewelled rings in his fingers. This seemed to have given him the aplomb that he needed to coordinate the search and identification of the hostages across the city’s main households. Pharazôn had not been present, as Barekbal convinced him that it was not prudent to expose himself too much, but he had heard that the city people had shouted insults, and even threw rotten food at the soldiers, who fortunately had not fallen for the provocation.

Why don’t you throw them at your fool of a magistrate? he thought angrily, even as he counted heads for the second time. Twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six... where was the last woman? The one with the curly hair had moved, and was now standing next to one of the children, but no, he had counted her before, it was not her.

“There is still a woman missing”, he noted.

“Oh, no, no, she was brought in last but she is over there now, see? The dark one from the tree folk, there by the corner, my lord prince. Behind the old lady.”

“Fine”, he barked. They were all there, in one piece, which was good news. And reasonably fed and cared-for, by the looks of them.

“Who speaks Adûnaic here?” he asked. Almost half of the hands went up, most of them children. He nodded.

“Very well. I am the Prince Pharazôn, legate to the King of Númenor, and I am glad to see that you are safe and well. You were taken here against the will of the King of Númenor, and I am here to redress this wrong.” As his words began to be translated, the effect was nothing like the low buzz of the Council translators in Armenelos. Children spoke in loud voices and argued about the meaning of words, while the women who listened pelted them with questions. He paused, to let each of his sentences sink into this motley crowd. “Soon, I will take my army upriver to fight my enemies in Arne and Mordor, and I will take you home. In exchange, I ask for your help in securing the loyalty and allegiance of your people in the war to come. You are here because you belong to the greatest families, those that others will follow into battle. If you do me this service, I will set you free.”

The cacophony of voices increased, and he turned briefly away from them to find the Magistrate.

“Where is he?” he asked. The Gadirite didn’t need to ask who “he” was.

“Do you see those three boys who are sitting together, by the second pillar to the left, my lord prince? He is the one in the middle. He used to stay in my house, a fine and princely guest he was.”

He seemed to be about ten, Pharazôn calculated, though it was difficult to be sure with the short-lived folk. Perhaps he could be twelve, even thirteen. His robes were richer than those of the people around him, but if he had ever been a fine guest in anyone’s house he showed no evidence of that now. He stood almost perfectly still, like a statue, his features betraying no emotion at all. The other boys were speaking at him, but he did not answer, and did not even seem to be hearing them.

Pharazôn walked towards him. As he waded into the human river of hostages, he was stopped several times to be asked questions in broken Adûnaic, and even to be offered a few solemn expressions of thanks. It definitely seemed to him as if some of the women were trying to catch his eye, but he had no time for that. Besides, bedding hostages had never ended well that he could remember.

Finally, he reached his target, and stopped in front of him. As he did so, the other two boys bowed and stood up to leave them alone, but their companion showed no sign of recognition.

“Can you understand me?” Pharazôn asked. Noxaris’s son stayed silent, but after a moment he nodded.

“Well, I did not see you raise your hand before.”

The boy raised his glance for the first time, to meet his. He was not bad looking, with large dark eyes and a finely chiselled nose. His hair was black too, gathered back in the traditional braid worn by underaged boys in the kingdom of Arne.

Pharazôn had seen Noxaris once, when he had been to Gadir on an embassy, and he had to admit that they looked somewhat alike. He even saw the father’s arrogance, or rather a pale imitation of it, probably in an attempt to look brave in front of his enemies.

“You were not talking to me. You were talking to them.”

Fair enough, Pharazôn thought.

“You will not be coming with us.”

The boy’s composure cracked a little: he paled, and bit his lip. But to his credit, it did not last long.

“My father will defeat you.”

“That is not very likely”, Pharazôn replied. “What is your name?”

“Phaleris” the boy said. “Phaleris son of Noxaris, Prince of Arne.”

“Well, Phaleris, son of Noxaris, Prince of Arne. You are going to sail to Númenor in a ship. We have to keep you safe, as you may be the one to sit in the throne of your people once this is over.”

Instead of looking reassured, the boy seemed even more dismayed at this.

“I do not want to go to Númenor! And you are wrong, I am not sitting on the throne. In case you do not know, my uncle is the king, and he just had a child. I have two brothers, too, and my father….”

Pharazôn sighed. Probably ten, after all.

“Just stay safe and we’ll see about the rest”, he repeated, turning away. Then, however, he thought better about it, and paused for a moment to submit the boy to a long and critical stare. “And don’t even think of doing anything foolish. Do you hear me?”

Phaleris mumbled something that could have been anything from assent to a curse to his face. Whatever it had been, Pharazôn considered him warned enough.

He needed a drink now.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“What is he saying?”

“Chief wants lord of Númenóreans to have drink with him” the interpreter explained in broken Adûnaic. It was not a moment too soon; with the way he was yelling and flailing his arms around, Pharazôn had been wondering if he was calling upon his tribe to attack the intruders. “He accept alliance for battle.”

“Oh, thank goodness. He does not look very friendly, does he?”, Adherbal sighed, then edged closer to Pharazôn to whisper in his ear. “I thought he had found out that you slept with his wife.”

“I didn’t sleep with his wife!” Pharazôn hissed back, all while he nodded and made wide gestures to indicate approval at the man’s tirade. “Now shut up before anyone manages to understand you!”

A rather large wooden bowl, filled to the brim with some red liquid, was put before him as he spoke. He watched it suspiciously, bringing it close to his nose in the hopes of identifying the smell. The odour was acrid and very bitter, like tree bark, but at least it was not the blood of their enemies.

“You should have someone taste it first, my lord prince. It could be a trap. It could be poison”, Barekbal intervened, laying his hand on the bowl before Pharazôn could raise it to his lips. The prince shrugged.

“Having someone taste their friendship drink for poison is not how you show your trust in your allies”, he said. Before Barekbal could prevent it, he drank it all in one long swallow. The taste was foul, and as it made its way down his throat, he wanted to retch more than anything in the world, but he managed to keep his composure.

“In the name of… the King of Númenor…” He almost couldn’t pronounce the words. “We are grateful for your aid.”

The chief of the tribe did not seem to have similar difficulties downing his own drink. Both empty bowls were picked up by his newly-returned wife, who looked splendid in a cloak made entirely of tree-leaves. As she drew closer to Pharazôn, she smiled widely at him.

The prince felt his knees weaken a little. So, it had contained alcohol.

For a moment, he could feel Barekbal’s frown of disapproval in the back of his head. That man was so much like Amandil that it surprised him that they had not become friends, back when they were stationed at the Middle Havens years ago. Maybe their innate humourlessness had precluded them from standing each other’s presence.

“How many days do you need to gather your forces?” he asked, trying very hard to concentrate in the words he was uttering. If this was like most alcoholic beverages, the dizziness would take some time to sink in.

“One”, the interpreter replied. “We live close by.”

“Very well. Then, we will leave for Arne in a day. Thanks for everything.”

The chief was gesturing again.

“He says stay. Hospitality feast.”

“Oh, no, no, no.” Pharazôn shook his head. “We are an army of sixty thousand now, including the allies. There is no hospitality to be offered to us.”

“You stay with your sworn men.”

“My sworn… ? oh.” This conversation was not going well, and he was starting to feel dizzy. “I am honoured, but Númenórean custom dictates that we all have to share the same food and the same drink before going to war.” Sometimes, this had worked.

“Our custom dictates we must share same food and drink before going to war, too. We go to war with you.”

Nice try.

“I will begin preparations”, the chieftain’s wife chimed in, smiling at him again before walking away.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He did not know how he had managed to win this battle. Assailed from every flank with trays of strangely seasoned dishes whose contents he did not dare investigate, the real danger had come from the drink that flowed freely across the table. Availing himself of an old strategy, he had filled his stomach with the food before going for the drink, so the worst impact would be absorbed, and he had been very careful not to cross paths with the damn woman as much as he could manage it. For precaution, he had given secret orders to a number of his men to scatter across the table and not have any drinks, just in case that foul play was intended, but the forest tribe proved loyal to a fault, and no harm was done.

At least willingly.

At around midnight, the loud feast began to dissolve into a quieter gathering, and he felt steady enough on his feet to walk back to his barge. As he stood and took his leave from the leader of his new allies, Barekbal immediately stood as well, and fell in behind him like a silent shadow.

“I am not that drunk”, he spoke, when the silence was beginning to feel bothersome.

“I know, my lord prince.”

“You also needed an excuse to leave, huh? Lord of Battles, that wine was foul. I wonder what it was.”

“Well, I know for sure that it contained elderberry. They made something similar in the Middle Havens”, Barekbal replied. Pharazôn nodded, not knowing very well what to say to that.

“Foul, I tell you”, he repeated after a while.

“My lord prince, may I speak freely to you?”

Pharazôn sobered slightly at this. They had to be getting closer to the river, for the noises of merriment had faded away in the distance. Above their heads, the moon was shining bright.

“From now on, I will not drink anything without knowing what it is first, I promise”, he ventured. But Barekbal did not even crack a smile.

“I have stood loyally by you through the preparations of the expedition, through all the meetings and conferences, and in our journey here. However, I am… not sure of this strategy.”

“By the King of Armenelos, do I have to explain it again? They won’t surround us, I´ve said it about a hundred times. They would need to at least treble our amount of soldiers, and a force this size does not exist anywhere in the world. Yes, I know that Prince Noxaris has ridden to Mordor, probably to seek aid. But Orcs have no cavalry to add to his own, and we have the best cavalry in Middle-Earth.”

“It’s not only that, my lord.” Barekbal seemed to be struggling to put his unease into words. “You left Gadir behind…”

Pharazôn’s heart sunk, but he kept his tone even.

“With a garrison.”

“Lord Amandil did the same in Pelargir.”

“Not at all! Look.” The prince took a deep breath. “Do not take me wrong, I respect Lord Amandil, but the circumstances were very different. I have broken the might of the Merchant Princes’s navy, and Gadir is a fortress, impossible to attack except by sea.”

“But it is not a friendly fortress. It is swarming with enemies, with the deposed city council being held at their own homes and the people…”

“The people? You mean the people of Gadir? Even if they do not like us very much, they are not fighters, what can they do?”

“My lord, I understand that you have kinsmen among the Gadirites…”

“Enough!” Pharazôn shouted, stopping in his tracks. The glow of the fires of their encampment was already visible in the horizon.  “Have others spoken of this to you?”

Were they whispering behind his back? He could not keep a rein on his thoughts any longer, and they seemed to be trampling on each other in a mad rampage to get out. Could they believe he was misusing his command because he was in league with the traitors? It was one thing for the King and Council to suspect him, as they had always hated him and never trusted him as far as they could throw him, but could his men share their opinion as well?

Barekbal had gone very pale.

“No, I… I believe this conversation was a mistake, my lord. Allow me to apologize.”

Pharazôn could barely hear this through the sound of blood rushing to his ears.

“So, perhaps you think I am a traitor? That I am in my cousin’s conspiration, and this is why I am leading you into a trap? That I left the garrison behind, with Balbazer in command, to fall into another trap? That I would sacrifice all of you, my comrades in a hundred battles, because the Merchant Princes want to keep their trade routes by dealing with Mordor? Then, why are you here with me? Do you want to die? Is that what you want?”

Pharazôn had begun to yell, and the man’s look had passed now beyond alarm, into the realm of incredulity.

“What? I did not say… I could not have possibly…”

“What would I need to do then, for you to trust me? Destroy a Númenórean city and kill everyone in it, just to prove they are not my fucking allies? Charge in the front line and fall impaled on a damn Orc-spear to prove they are not my allies either? Don’t I even get the benefit of the doubt after I…”

Suddenly, even in the middle of his rage, he became aware that he was being observed. His voice trailed off, and his hand immediately went for his sword. For a moment, Barekbal seemed genuinely afraid that he would lunge at him, until he saw her too.

“Merimne”, Pharazôn had to make a great effort to control his breath. “I did not know you had followed us.”

The woman from Harad advanced a few steps towards them.

“I was not following you. I heard you shout from the other side of the forest, and thought you were under attack.”

“Yes, well. Barekbal was accusing me of treason.”

“I was not! I merely said that leaving a garrison behind in a city full of enemies might not have been a safe strategy!”

“Should I kill him?” She looked eager.

“I’d like to see you try, woman!” Barekbal hissed. Merimne fingered her dagger, then looked at him as if she was sizing up a lamb in a butcher’s shop. That look had unnerved countless men before him, but the Númenórean commander, to his credit, did not seem cowed. He turned away from her, and back towards him.

“Will you please listen to me? I have always trusted you, my lord. I did mention your kinship with the Gadirites not because I believe you to be in league with them, but merely because I thought that you could feel more inclined to see them as harmless because of that. I am part of your advisory council, and I was advising you, nothing more! You have to believe this, for it is the truth.”

Pharazôn’s breath was slowly going back to normal, and the noise in his ears was subsiding as well. For a moment, he risked looking at Barekbal straight in the eye, only to look away, feeling like a complete idiot.

“There are no safe strategies,” he said, in a low, strange kind of voice that barely seemed like his own. “All those years in the mainland, and you still don’t know that? What kind of commander are you?”

“I will go back to check on the horses, then”, Merimne announced to nobody in particular, sheathing her dagger again with an air of finality that did not seem to leave room for any further discussion. As he saw her disappear behind the bushes, however, Pharazôn felt that he needed to say something else fast, before the incident was buried under a cloud of false politeness.

“Look… earlier, I did not accept your apology. Will you accept mine, now?”

Barekbal shook his head.

“No, I don’t! There is absolutely nothing to apologize for, my lord!”

“I suppose I had that coming, didn’t I?”

“I am serious.” Barekbal, you saying ‘I am serious’ is a redundancy, Pharazôn had used to tell him whenever he got as pompous as this, but this time, he had the good sense to keep his mouth shut. “I have heard about the King and the Council, how they are… uncertain of your loyalties. I have heard also about the Prince and the Princess of the South, how they are being suspected because of their ties with the Merchant Princes of Gadir. But you should know that none of us, of the soldiers who have been in Umbar under your command, or in the Middle Havens, would ever dream of considering you a traitor. You asked whether you had to charge in the front line and fall impaled upon an Orc-spear to be believed, but you forget that you have done that already. Many times. And we do not forget that.”

Something rose in Pharazôn’s throat, forming a knot that for a moment did not allow him to utter the slightest retort. Damn those savages and their berry wine, he cursed.

“So” he managed at last. “You do not doubt my allegiances, only my brain.”

Barekbal stared at him in incredulity -and this was what finally made him explode in a much needed, liberating fit of laughter.

“Come”, he said, clapping his back. “Let us go back to camp and catch some sleep.”

 

The Arnian War II

Read The Arnian War II

 

“The Lady Eluzîni is here, my lord.”

Elendil looked up from the scroll he was reading, his eyes widening as he took in the meaning of the words. In a desperate attempt to gather his wits for the intrusion, he took breath and tried to push strands of hair away from his face, but she was already there before he was done.

“What are you doing here? We agreed…”

“Thank you for your gracious welcome”, she cut him, directing a meaningful glance at the secretary who had ushered her in and who was still lingering at the doorway to the inner garden. Then, making a show of being out of breath -as if she had come running from her own house-, she diverted herself from her purple silk cape, and sat at his side without waiting for an invitation.

“Eli…” he began, though he already knew that it was useless. “This is the Andúnië residence, you cannot barge in here on your own. It is not proper!”

She smiled brightly.

“I said that we needed to rehearse a scene.”

“The play was cancelled months ago.” Her mane fell down her shoulder, loose from any bindings, and as she leaned closer to him, he fancied he could feel it caressing his own arm even through his clothing. “Don’t you think they must know it by now?”

“Perhaps not”. She shrugged, the raven black mass rustling softly with her motion. For the second time, he was forced to take breath, but he could not surrender so easily to her irrationality.

“What do you think that could happen if rumours about you and me spread through the Court?”

She laughed.

“I do not know, tell me. What could happen? Perhaps we would have to marry!”

“This is no joking matter.” They were probably whispering about them already, wondering if he was the last in her list of conquests, or worse. The high and mighty champions of ancient morality were the first to fall.

Her good humour vanished as soon as it had come.

“It is you, who is turning this into a joke. You, who will not take me seriously.” Her eyes gleamed in a dangerous way. “Just because I am a…”

Please, Eli, stop that. You know it is not true. I love you.” But as soon as the words escaped his mouth, almost against his will, he felt a burning shame gathering in his chest. “I am sure you must be worried, too, about what people will say… about how they will understand this.”

“My uncle is very happy.”

What?

“Yes, he is.” Unperturbed by his shock, she leaned back, a gesture which left the fullness of her chest in his direct line of sight. “He has offered to adopt me. Can you imagine? The Lady Eluzîni of Hyarnustar, sister to the Prince of Númenor! Who could possibly refuse my hand?”

“And your father?” His head was reeling with the implications, but he refused to surrender to this turmoil. Her expression hardened.

“My father has nothing whatsoever to say about this.”

If the stories about him were true, it was not surprising that they wanted to keep him out of the picture as much as possible, Elendil thought. Still, the fact that Lord Shemer knew…. and that he had directly involved himself in this matter, Eru knew with what hidden purpose in mind, while Elendil’s own family remained ignorant, deeply troubled him. And what of the King?

“My uncle believes that the King will not be opposed”, she said, as if she had guessed his thoughts. She did that too often, he realized belatedly. “An alliance between my family and yours is a death trap for the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay. And then, there was that unfortunate business involving the Princess of the West… we must stand united and forego petty grievances, shouldn’t we? Especially now, with this terrible war in the mainland, and civil strife everywhere from the Council to the royal family.”

“Nobody in my family holds a grievance against Prince Vorondil”, he replied, with a little too much vehemence perhaps.

“I know that you do not.” Her smile was almost irresistible, he thought. And not only her smile, a truthful voice added in the back of his mind as she arched her back even more. “If not for him, we would not be together.”

This was madness. Utter madness.

“What is it?” she frowned. “Do you want me, or not? Because if you do not, all this… talk is pointless.”

Wanted her? By the Valar, who would not want her? He remembered being in the company of the Princess, how he was never able to lower his guard, always looking for the right words to say, the right actions to take to remain in control of the situation. With Eluzîni it was completely different: she came in like a whirlwind, robbing him of his ability to think, to plan ahead, to say the right thing. She could reduce him to a blubbering idiot in a matter of seconds, and instead of shame, what he experienced was relief. Before her, he never felt that he had permission to fail, that he could afford to, but she made it inevitable. With her, he would always fail.

That was why it was necessary to use every ounce of his self-restraint and responsibility to turn away from this.

“Your family”, she muttered, in a low voice. “Your family does not agree. Of course, they are so much holier than the rest of us that adoption would not be enough. Not for the lords of Andúnië.”

Those words would give him an easy way out -if only he was able to take it.

“That is not true. They do not know about this.”

“But you know what would happen if they did! Your father…”

“…married the daughter of a lowly Palace Guard after getting her pregnant, as I am sure you must have heard!” he argued. “And in case you do not know, he blames himself for the ‘unfortunate business involving the Princess of the West’, as you called it. He should have been the one to marry her; they were of an age, and the King wanted that match, but he was already married in secret and so the task fell to me. If I said I wanted to marry someone, anyone, he would not find it in him to object. I know.”

Eluzîni shrugged.

“Your mother, then?”

“My mother would be happy to know I have found love.”

“And your grandfather? He surrendered his office, but surely he is still in charge of the family, is he not?

“My grandfather is away, in Middle-Earth. He visits us once every five or six years, at best.”

Her expression became unreadable.

“I see. The problem is not what others will think, the problem is you.”

Elendil sighed. Leave it to her to forego empty ornaments, and head for the truth like an arrow leaving its bow. Smokescreens were of no use, neither for her nor for him.

“As I said, I love you. But, as I also said, nobody in my family is able to think clearly about this matter. Their own past weighs heavily upon them, clouding their thoughts and informing their decisions.”

“So… you have to think clearly, because they cannot do it. Is that so?” For a moment, he did not know if it was pity or anger what he saw in Eluzîni’s eyes, tinged by something else that he could not recognize, but cut him deep. “And I should accept this, and leave it at that, because that is how your twisted mind works.”

Elendil wished he could say that yes, his mind was twisted, that he was an idiot, and that he was sorry. And then, kiss her.

She stood on her feet, pulling the folds of her cape over her shoulders in a rustle of silks, but without covering her face, which was still intently set upon his with the same expression he could not pinpoint.

“Elendil, you are the greatest fool in all of Númenor. But I think… no, I feel that I love you, not in spite of that, but because of that. Eru help me.” Their eyes were now exactly at the same height, as if joined by an invisible line. “I will wait until you realize how serious I am about this.”

And leaving him in an even deeper turmoil, she turned her back to him and left.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Please, Mother! You have to come with me!

An ominous rumble shook the earth under his feet, as if the world itself was collapsing around them. The scorching heat and suffocation warned him of the impending arrival of the spreading fires, but he neither backed away nor withdrew his hand, stretched towards her with the urgency of desperation. The eyes of the Princess Melkyelid, however, remained blank and expressionless, as if she had not noticed his presence, or heard his shouts. They passed through him as if she could not see him at all, as if he had been a ghost.

She burst into flames.

“My lord prince! Wake up, my lord prince!”

He must have been yelling himself hoarse again in his sleep, for as he opened his eyes, he saw the telltale shadow of apprehension in the faces around him. How many times now, he thought darkly, willing his heartbeat to slow down and his features to appear calm. Perhaps they thought that he was losing his grip in this campaign.

What had Amandil done to deal with this insidious foe, which crept under his skin when he was most defenceless and exposed? How had he kept it under control?

He hadn’t, his mind supplied him with the answer almost as soon as he thought it. He always had dreams, and there was nothing he could do to stop them. The reason why it had been easier for him was that Amandil did not have an entire army scrutinizing him day and night for signs of weakness – or, worse, for evidence of second thoughts that could lead to betrayal.

“What is the cause for this disturbance?” he asked, hiding his shame under a frown of irritation. “It is not even morning yet.”

“I apologize, my lord”, Adherbal recited, with a slight bow that did not manage to cover his impatience. “But the enemy is here. Their forces are scattered across the plain.”

Pharazôn yanked the covers away, and stood up. He was barely aware of someone handing him a cloak; without which he might have stepped outside his tent and climbed the ramparts half-naked. Adherbal and the others followed him, straining their forces to keep up with his pace.

Dawn was already falling on the large plain that lay between the mountains and the fortified city of Arne. Under its faint light, Pharazôn could see the enemy army, which must have achieved their journey South under the cover of darkness. Noxaris and his men were right at the centre, many of them riding horses, but most of the rest was composed by Orc infantry. In silence, he tried to calculate the numbers.

“At least one hundred thousand, I would say”, he ventured. “Possibly more.”

Nobody challenged his appreciation. For a while, in fact, nobody said a word, and the silence became so heavy that Pharazôn had to turn away to face them with a frown.

“What?” Even Adherbal was looking pale. “You do not like those odds?”

“The-they are many, my lord”, a young, recently promoted captain said in a rather low voice, as if he was not sure that he wanted to be heard. Behind him, Pharazôn could see two others nodding.

“Look, now”, he said, moving until he was just inches away from them. The young man flinched. “This is not a Haradric tribe, this is Mordor. Did you expect Sauron to send some spare Orcs to humour his allies, when he has just been provided with the best chance of crushing us that he has had in hundreds of years? Of course he was going to send every Orc he could spare! Why do you think that we have been building all those walls and fortified camps, because I was bored?”

“N-no, my lord.”

This was more like it, a reckless part of him exulted savagely. Compared with his dreams, this vast enemy host was an interesting challenge. A challenge which would try his body and his mind to the utmost, allowing him to forget about all else for the duration.

“Numbers are not that much of an advantage. If they try to surround us, they will have to spread too thin. If they want to breach our defences, they will need to concentrate on one spot”, he explained. “And they are Orcs. Open warfare is not among their strengths.”

“Yes, but what if the Arnians break the siege and attack us from behind?” Adherbal asked. “If we are attacked on both sides…”

“That is what they will try to do. They probably think they have it figured out, that they have us in their grip.” Pharazôn nodded. Adherbal’s eyes widened in puzzlement.

“But our defences are far from being unbreachable, my lord prince. The garrison by the river is still weak. It is under construction, and there are but a few men stationed there. As soon as they realize it, they will attack and try to get to the city!”

“Oh, yes” His lips curved into a wild grin. “Oh, yes, they will do that.”

 

*      *     *     *     *

 

The morning went by in a blur of activity and war preparations. Pharazôn put on his armour, summoned his council, strategized, dispatched orders to the heralds who would bring them to the commanders of all the fortified camps. By the time he could finally leave his tent, the sun had risen almost halfway through the sky, and the air was growing warmer by the second. With a grimace of disgust, he waved away at the flies hovering over his head, but he was well aware that this one was a lost battle. The vicinity to the river brought mosquitoes at night, while the vicinity of horses brought flies at daytime.

As he trudged along the path, he crossed many of those horses and their riders, Haradrim warriors who paused in their preparations to salute him in different dialects of their slippery tongue. He waved back at them, but did not stop until he reached the small paddock right under the fortified wall. There, one rider was still going through her daily exercises, with such concentration that he had to wonder if she had managed to miss the news which had plunged the rest of the camp in turmoil. In quiet admiration, Pharazôn watched her black steed gather speed, until both became an almost undistinguishable blur of motion. One dagger flew through the air, then two, three, and finally four, all of them following a perfect trajectory until they sunk in their appointed targets. Only then, she galloped to his side and stopped dead, and even though the horses of the Haradrim had no saddle, she did not slide an inch from her position.

“That was excellent”, he admitted. He had become a better rider than most Númenóreans during his years in Umbar, enough to make his horse do whatever he wanted it to, but this easy grace would always remain beyond him.

She acknowledged the compliment with a brief nod, setting foot on the ground to caress the horse’s black mane with her fingers.

“So, we are going to war.” Ah, she had heard. Good.

“Yes, we are”, he nodded, producing an elaborate golden rod that he had been holding in his left hand. “And I am here to give you this. You are in command of the cavalry now, so you will be the one to lead it in the charge against the Mordor army.”

“Oh”. She seemed surprised, almost uncertain as she extended her hand to pick it up. For a while, she appeared to be inspecting it, taking in each and every one of the engravings that some renowned Númenórean goldsmith had made centuries ago. A spark danced in her dark eyes, and she lowered her head in a bow. “This is a great honour.”

A deadly honour, Pharazôn thought, trying to keep regrets at bay. The charge of the Haradric cavalry would be decisive for their victory in this battle, but many casualties were to be expected. For most Númenórean commanders and soldiers, it went without saying that barbarian allies were there to sacrifice themselves for them, which was why they were tolerated at all, but Merimne had proved to be a wonderful asset in many difficult situations. If he could, he would put her someplace else, where she had a better chance of survival, but he needed to win.

Apparently, this instant of hesitation lasted long enough over his countenance as to be detected by her penetrating glance. She shrugged, raising her eyes from the golden engravings to set them on his. They were fierce and steady, and there was no trace of fear in them.

“Back when my mother bore me, I was given a life. That life, I gave away for my people, and then it was no longer mine. It is yours now, for a time. But in the end, Nergal of the Vale of Shadow will claim it back, because all Men belong to him.”

Short-lived barbarians always had to be so morbid, Pharazôn thought.

“Then take your arms and come with me” he said, walking back towards the footpath.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

At midday, Pharazôn sacrificed a bull to the Lord of Battles in front of his tent, before the assembled officers of the encampment and the cavalry. The omens proved favourable, according to the priest, so even the greatest doubters left for their appointed places with renewed confidence. Still, the enemy did not budge from its position, and the deployed units had nothing to do for the rest of the day except contemplating their respective numbers in their minds.

Behind the lines of their fortifications, in the besieged city, the mood was one of hope. Pharazôn could see many Arnian soldiers stand over the ramparts, waving and singing war chants in their tongue. He sent two extra companies of archers there, guessing that they would be the first to attempt a breach, and he was not wrong in this deduction. By mid-afternoon, they had already tried to cross the perimeter and scale the walls thrice, but it was not so easy as it used to be before the Núménóreans finished the construction of the moat and double walls, so in the end they opted for regrouping behind the walls of their city and waiting for their allies to make a move.

The move did not come until nightfall - as he should have expected, considering the nature of the creatures who composed the largest part of the army. Darkness complicated matters, especially for archers, but the difficulties were not unsurmountable, as the spawn of Mordor was not trained in stealth, and when they attacked the sound alone was often enough to determine their position.

Pharazôn stood at the command centre near the main camp, where messengers rode back and forth sending news and taking back directions. There, he received news of two breaching attempts at the Southern encampments, which were manned only by a skeleton crew of Númenóreans, and the bulk of the defence had been left to the tribes. Reinforcements were desperately requested, but he kept his cool and sent none. That was merely a diversion: the real attack would take place by the river, in the North, at the weakest spot of their line of defences.

He was careful not to show any signs of doubt before his men, but in his innermost of hearts, he had to admit that he was relieved when his predictions turned out to be right. When the messenger came, he allowed his composure to crack at last, and gave a yell of fierce jubilation which caused Adherbal to stare at him.

“They fell for it!” he shouted, by way of an explanation.

The bulk of their infantry, the best in the world, stood there under Barekbal’s command, waiting for the enemy to breach the single line of defence remaining from the construction. Most of the archers were also there, waiting to sink their prized arrows into the roaring darkness.

Pharazôn could no longer lean back on his chair and wait calmly for the first updates of the clash. Seized by a manic energy, he stood up and paced back and forth around the campfire, listening for the distant sounds of battle.

“My lord prince.”

He stopped in his tracks, turning towards Adherbal, who had quietly left the line of bystanders to approach him. Upon meeting his glance, Pharazôn had the feeling that the man knew him too well for comfort.

“There is nothing we can do now but wait.”

“Indeed. You are growing wise with age, Adherbal.”

“We are the best army in Middle Earth.”

Only this morning, you were not so sure, Pharazôn thought peevishly.

“Yes, yes.”

Adherbal was silent for a while, but not because he had nothing else to say. Rather, he was probably looking for the most delicate way of saying it.

“However, if we were to lose our supreme commander, even we might… have difficulties to extricate ourselves from this war situation.”

“And why would you lose your supreme commander now?” Pharazôn asked, arching his eyebrow. It was no use, he knew.

“Because if you were to enter the fight before we have a clear tactical situation…”

“Your confidence in my judgement touches my heart, Adherbal” he retorted, sarcastically. “After all the times you have seen me charge blindly against the enemy and die…”

“You have never died, but…”

Right then, the sound of galloping alerted them of the arrival of a messenger, and Pharazôn’s heart leapt. Ignoring Adherbal, he strode towards the incoming rider, who had to rein in his mount abruptly in fear of trampling him over.

“My lord prince, both armies have engaged in battle now! Our infantry is breaking the ranks of the Orcs, but we cannot be sure of how many there are left, and we cannot spot Noxaris and his cavalry anywhere!”

Noxaris had last been spotted in one of the attempts at breaching the southern fortifications, labouring under a volley of darts from the forest tribes. He could be dead, but he probably wasn’t, in which case he was waiting for the appropriate moment to enter the fray.

“Send word to Merimne to be ready”, he said, trying in vain to curb his impatience.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Hours went by, and reports became increasingly intermittent and imprecise. Sometimes, it seemed that the Orcs were all but routed, and victory was imminent; others, that they were gaining positions on the Western flank, near the river. A report spoke of Noxaris and his cavalry heading there, but the most worrying one mentioned a sinister commander from Mordor in a black steed, who was rallying his troops there. No Númenórean could approach him, because arrows missed him and men and beasts panicked in his vicinity. Some thought it could even be Sauron himself.

That was more than enough for Pharazôn. He sent dispatches to the Haradric cavalry, who was waiting at the gates of the South Eastern line of fortifications, and pulled away the soldiers that had been manning the rest of the encampments with orders to gather in his position as fast as they could. After this was done, and ignoring the ominous looks which Adherbal had been sending in his direction for the last hour, he asked for his horse and his sword.

“My lord prince, you cannot…”

Pharazôn climbed on his horse, heedless of the commander who ran after him except to shout, one last time, over his shoulder. “You are in charge of this post now!”

Adherbal was too cautious, he thought. There were moments when it was wise to stay protected, but sometimes taking risks became inevitable. It was not recklessness, he told himself, it was just a good grasp of the situation.

As the rearguard army followed him towards the main battleground, it seemed as if the darkness was becoming somewhat less thick. He realized that he had not been keeping count of the time, and could not help but hope that dawn was near and that it was not merely an illusion produced by wishful thinking.

The closer they came to the battlefield, the louder the noises became: yells, screams, and rallying cries, drowned by the ever-dominant clash of steel. Darkness was indeed lifting, and as he strained his eyesight, the first thing he could see was a ghastly view of the creatures from Mordor strewn over the ground in countless numbers. Many bodies of Númenóreans and barbarians also lay beside them, black and red blood mingling in the haze.

Looking at them, he noticed that the battlefield seemed to have shifted over the night. After the enemy had penetrated the unfinished defences, they had been slaughtered by Pharazôn’s army in that spot until they retreated -their retreat cut by the volleys sent by the archers, as could be guessed from the many bodies with protruding feathered shafts-, but from the sounds of battle coming from the vicinity, the last report seemed to have been at least partly right. Noxaris, or that unknown commander, had rallied their numbers closer to the river, and the main fight had moved there.

“Do we charge now, my lord?”

Pharazôn smoothed the wrinkles of his purple cloak, wishing that there could be more light. But if he could not attract their attention by sight alone, there were other ways.

“Now, listen to me!” he shouted. “We are here to send our enemies to the Everlasting Darkness! Let them hear of our arrival, so they might tremble and lose heart, and rue the day they dared to face the might of Númenor! Sing, sing to the Lord of Battles!”

The chant was picked up by those closest to him first, but it spread fast enough among the ranks. By the time they were running towards the battlefield, it had become a deafening roar, echoed by their comrades in the vanguard, who rallied to him, their hopes rising.

“Where is he?” he asked Barekbal’s second-in-command, who was riding to meet him. The Orcs scattered before them, retreating into the shadows.

“Noxaris is at the other end of the battlefield, near the ramparts! But the other…” By the faint light of early dawn, he saw a shadow of fear cross the man’s features. “He is there, by the river. Those Orcs, they just went to join him. We cannot approach him, my lord prince!”

“But if we let him proceed undisturbed, he will soon have all the survivors gathered there, and they will reach the city”, Pharazôn guessed. The answer was a silent nod. The man was ashamed of his failure, obviously, but not enough as to volunteer for another attempt.

Who could this commander be? Surely Sauron would not have left his fortress in person for a battle such as this, would he?

Whoever it was, however, he knew one thing: someone had to fight him, or the day might be lost.

“I will go. Companies from one to five, with me! The rest, stay here under Eshmounazer’s command and try to get to the fortifications! The cavalry is riding there now, as we speak, all you have to do is catch them in a pincer attack, kill that bastard Noxaris, and bring me his head!”

No one stopped him, not even the Orcs, who seemed to be fleeing before them like ants crawling back into the holes of their anthill. This, however, was not much comfort, since the anthill was exactly where they were heading now. The sudden smell of humidity told him that the river had to be near, and he braced himself for whatever expected him there.

At first, he only saw Orcs, holding ranks tighter than he had seen them do in other battles. The front line pointed their spears at them, and when their companions reached them, they barely opened a small tunnel where they could disappear to safety. This was a formation that belonged to Númenórean strategy; apparently their leader, whoever it was, was not a fool.

“Charge!” he yelled, his sword held high. His soldiers answered him with a battle cry, and both armies clashed, but even in the middle of the fierce struggle than ensued, Pharazôn had a dawning feeling that something was not right. For his host was clearly superior in strength and weaponry, and still they seemed to be retreating from the onslaught of their foe.

Suddenly, as he hacked his way across a swarm of Orcs who attempted to pull him from his horse, he saw it. At a short distance from his position, in a slight elevation that overlooked the riverbank, a rider sat on a black horse. He was neither charging nor retreating, but all those who tried to approach him were scattered away like leaves before the wind.

A ray of sunlight gleamed briefly, before disappearing under the grey clouds of the mountains. Under its gleam, Pharazôn had the impression that the rider was looking back at him. For a moment, he experienced an emotion which seemed to have spilled into the waking world from his darkest dreams: the cold grip of irrational fear.

He gripped his sword tightly, trying to remain in control of himself.  The rider, however, had definitely spotted him, and he was now coming in his direction, his own minions scattering before him as fast as the Númenórean soldiers did. The closer he drew, the stronger the fear became, until Pharazôn was sure that this had to be the effect of some kind of unholy spell that the creature was directing at him.

This deduction made him angry enough to shake the feeling away, and he forced his suddenly reluctant horse to meet his attacker. He would not fall prey to this fell sorcery, he thought. If he needed to plant fear in the mind of his enemies, this commander was probably not a good fighter.

His horse stopped dead, almost throwing him to the ground in its refusal to go further. The rider’s eyes gleamed with a fell red light, which seemed to bear into his skull. But even worse than this, worse than anything else he could possibly imagine, was the sudden realisation that it had no face. Under the helmet there were only his eyes, those terrible eyes, floating in a pool of darkness.

Pharazôn had never been so afraid in a battlefield. He was tempted to turn tail and flee, as all the others had done before him. What if this foe was beyond the abilities of mortal men, even beyond the power of the Númenóreans? Was there any hope, then, for this battle or for any other? If Sauron could summon dark spirits out of nothing with his sorcery, what could they do against that?

Slowly, despair was trickling in, mixed with the fear. The enemy had only been playing with them, making them believe they could win. In his pride, he had fallen for it, and now he would die together with all his men. Mordor would hold sway over the mainland, and the colonies would be lost.

Out of pure instinct, as he always did when facing danger, Pharazôn grabbed hold of his amulet, the one Zimraphel had given to him before he first sailed to the mainland. This familiar motion brought some degree of clarity to his thoughts. This was insane, he thought, angrily. How could he merely decide that everything was lost before he had even faced his enemy? Could those be his own thoughts, or had that… thing put them in his head, too?

Yes, that should be it, he decided. Pharazôn the Golden had never, ever admitted defeat without a fight.

The horse was of no further use to him; all his attempts to force it to charge were in vain, and it seemed closer than ever to throwing him over its back. Pharazôn doubted that even Merimne would be able to manage such a ride. Jumping to the ground, he sought his surroundings for a spear, but he could not find one anywhere. The black rider was edging closer and closer; his only chance was to have him -it, he reminded himself, with a dulled pang of horror- dismount as well. Frantically, he kept seeking around him. His men had retreated from the immediate vicinity, but some of them remained nearby, watching the scene unfold with looks of sheer terror, as if too petrified to even flee. One of them, a very young man, was holding a bow.

“You”, he said, motioning to him. “Come here.”

The archer did not move. He seemed paralyzed. Feeling a renewed surge of anger, Pharazôn strode towards him, laid his arms on his shoulders and shook him.

“Come back to your senses, you fool!” he yelled. The young man was shaking.

“I..I…I-am s-sorry, I-I-c-can’t….”

“Look at me. I say, look at me!” At first, he was unable to meet Pharazôn’s glance, for the eyes were out of focus, but gradually they began to send back some signs of recognition. Pharazôn stared into them deeply, without a blink. “You are a soldier of Númenor. I, the Prince Pharazôn, general of the Umbar troops, am going to fight our enemy, and I command you to assist me. Now, put an arrow in this bow, and stand behind me!”

As he saw the young man’s eyes clear, and the shadows slowly dissipate from his countenance, Pharazôn experienced a sudden, wondrous feeling of warmth in his chest.  I can do it he thought, feverishly. I can do whatever it is that it does. That power it has, I have it too.

He was not inferior to this thing.

The black steed was almost on top of them now, and it took him all his courage not to give the order to shoot before the firing range was the most accurate. The arrow left the bow with a dull thud, and embedded itself on the horse’s eye, sending it into an immediate paroxysm of agony. It reared back, thrashed forwards, until it finally fell on its hind legs with a powerful whinny. Its rider, however, did not fall; it merely glided to a standing position on the ground before him.

Now that they were standing so close, Pharazôn could see it in detail. Fascinated and horrified, he saw that the gaping hole where the face should be, under the helmet, was replicated in the rest of his body. The metal gauntlet that held the sword was hanging from no arm, the dark cloak hung on no shoulders, and the breastplate was floating in mid-air.

“Shoot at the face”, he ordered his companion, whose hands were trembling again. The arrow changed trajectory as if it had rebounded against an invisible wall, and embedded itself against the ground with a wet thud. Damn.

This was the last act of courage he could ask from the young archer, who gave a sharp cry and retreated as fast as his legs would allow him, leaving him to stand alone against the monster. Pharazôn extended his sword and adopted a battle stance, which was imitated by his foe. The red glare was now more scorching than ever, giving him the impression that the fell creature was angry.

“Well, let’s see how good you are at actual fighting!” Pharazôn taunted him, parrying his first blows. All his bravado, however, could not hide the fact that he was at a serious disadvantage, and both of them knew it. If weapons could not touch that thing, all he could do was defend himself.

Then, again, he wondered as he spiralled back and forth, retreating from his enemy’s advances in an attempt to win some time, if weapons could not harm that thing, why wear armour at all?

Maybe there is some weapon that could touch it, he thought. If only I knew what it was.

His movements were becoming heavier, and for a moment he had the strange impression that his thoughts were slowing down, too. He felt as he did back when he caught the hot fevers at the Second Wall in Umbar, weak and delirious, and cursed aloud. What other underhanded weapons did this accursed being carry in its arsenal?

Lord of Battles, he prayed, save me. If I have ever performed your rites, knelt before your holy fire, and sacrificed bulls in your honour, give me aid now.

His last blow impacted sharply against the metal gauntlet, and as he jumped back he thought he could see it float in mid-air, displaced to the side. It was an eerie sight, as for that brief instant, it had not been aligned with the rest of his body in a remotely human way.

A ghost! he thought, in a burst of feverish inspiration. That was why it wore armour. Without it, it was a ghost, no, less than that – a shadow of a ghost, and ghosts had no bodies. They could not be seen by the living, or touch them. And then, with the recklessness of impending death, his brain hatched a mad plan.

The arrow had sunk in the darkness and disintegrated, but the armour it wore, and the helmet, were made of regular iron. Focusing on it, he pretended that nothing else existed, and charged on.

It was the first time that he had initiated an attack, and he could see that this gave the fell creature some pause. Taking advantage of that, he grabbed the breastplate with his left hand and pushed it, putting all his strength and body weight behind his shoulder. An icy cold enveloped him as they fell to the ground, freezing his sword arm in mid-movement.

So you do not fear nothingness, King of Men. I wonder if you will feel the same once that your proud strength and your power desert you, and the abyss rises to meet you under your feet.

The creature was talking to him without making any sounds. Its words trickled right inside his mind, giving rise to delirious visions, like the ones in his dreams about his mother, but even more real and terrible. He saw his mother’s dead face, the emptiness in Zimraphel’s black eyes. He saw Gadir’s proud towers crumbling, Umbar’s wall breached, the palaces of Sor and Armenelos falling like ivory pieces when the board was toppled. A black cloud engulfed the Island, heavy with the lingering stench of countless unanswered sacrifices. And then, he saw himself falling down a precipice of unnamed dread.

You will lead mankind to its greatest defeat in thousands of years.

At that moment, his fumbling hand finally found what he was searching: the feel of the gemstone engraved in Zimraphel’s amulet. As he touched it, warmth spread through his chest, thawing the ice from his bones and muscles, and dissipating the darkness of his mind long enough as to give him a single instant of clarity.

That was all that he needed.

“Not today, you… accursed… spawn… of… evil!” he hissed, his sword ensconcing itself firmly between the guards of the creature’s helmet until he managed to dislodge it from its head. As it clattered away down the battlefield, Pharazôn realized that his delirious intuition had been correct. The darkness that had been the spectre’s head and face blurred and convulsed, pulsating around its disembodied eyes. Heartened by this, he went for the breastplate next, and a black smoke rose in the air with a shrill scream, fleeing towards the East in a gust of pestilential wind.

He fell on his shoulder, cradling his still frozen sword hand as he attempted to prise it open to press the amulet inside. Before him, pieces of armour lay scattered across the battleground, harmless objects without the evil will of the dark phantom which had animated them. All around him, Orcs were fleeing, their screams echoing those of the master who had abandoned them.

“My lord! My lord prince!”

So they were coming towards him now, he thought. Before, they had left him alone to face the danger - well, except for that young archer, whatever his name was. He would have to be promoted, if they won. Surely they had to win now, didn’t they?

You will lead mankind to its greatest defeat in thousands of years.

Hands touched him, his arms, his shoulder, his chest, his face even, but they were all cold, and he recoiled from the touch. Seeing him shiver, someone covered him with the tattered folds of his cloak, but those felt cold as well, like a drizzle of ice water over his shoulders. The entire world seemed to have gone cold.

A ruckus of shouts came to him as if from a great distance, and among them he heard the sound of his name, repeated many times. He strained himself to listen.

“…back to the healers, must see to his wounds, fast!”

“No. No wounds”, he whispered, and the voice who spoke did not even seem like his own. He remembered Hannishtart, holding his limp body against his an age ago, in a desperate bid for life and freedom in the desert highways of Harad. He had almost died back then, too, but Hannishtart had saved him. He had not abandoned him, and he had known how to heal him, not like those cowards and fools. “The p-priest… the herb… I need the herb. Now.

And then, at long last, the darkness rose to meet him.

The Arnian War III

Read The Arnian War III

Pharazôn awoke in a bed, under the roof of a tent that did not look like his. For a moment, he wondered if he could have fallen prisoner, but they would have tied him up if that was the case. As he checked his limbs to make sure of this, he discovered that they hurt as much as if he had been hanging from a cliffside. His fingers were cold…

…cold…

The sensation brought back a flood of remembrances, and he repressed a shiver, reviving his fight against the fell creature of Sauron, the terrible cold, and the feeling of dread that its ominous words had evoked in him.

“You are awake, my lord prince!”

It was not the voice of the healer, but that of the priest. Apparently, they had done what he told them, though he could not even remember if he had spoken in dreams or if he had been awake.

He struggled into an upward position, propping his elbows against the mattress until he could raise at least one half of his body. The priest of Melkor was approaching him, holding a steaming bowl which exuded a familiar scent. Staring around him, Pharazôn realized that this scent was not only coming from the bowl: it was all around him, as it came from the sacred leaves which had been carefully laid over his chest, arms and legs. With his earlier movement, he had dislodged a few of them, and noticing this, he fumbled to pick them up from the sheets.

“This is a miracle! The god’s miracle!” the holy man exclaimed joyously. “You were at the brink of death, but the King of Armenelos saved you! He brought you back from the Everlasting Darkness!”

After the visions he had seen, Pharazôn could not help feeling chilled by those words.

“I am sure…” His lips were parched, and the words that came through them seemed to come from somewhere underground. “I am sure it was not so bad.”

Trying to ride the residual pain in his hands, he grabbed the bowl as best as he could, and marvelled at the heat in his fingertips. Carefully, he inhaled the smoke, and the ache and the cold seemed to fade away, together with his remaining confusion.

“What happened? Have we… won?”

“The enemy was routed, blessed be the Lord of Armenelos”, the priest of Melkor confirmed. “Noxaris was overrun by the Haradrim, and you defeated the commander of the troops of Mordor. The survivors fled after that.”

“How many survivors? Is Noxaris alive? How long have I been here?”

“I heard that his body had been retrieved from under his horse. The survivors are few compared with the numbers of those who faced us, my lord prince. And you have been here for a day and its night.”

“I have to go.” Confident in his newfound mobility, and aghast for having missed the most decisive moments after the battle, Pharazôn let go of the bowl, and tried to stand on his feet. The consequences were similar to all the times he had tried to stand after getting drunk: the world turned around him, and his body lurched forwards. Quickly, the priest ran to offer him his shoulder before he could fall.

“I can do it on my own” he hissed, struggling to find his balance. The leaves were falling to the floor one by one, but he could do nothing to prevent it.

“Of course, my lord prince.”

“And I do not need you to humour me.”

This time, the priest had the good sense to keep his mouth shut, though he remained firmly beside him as Pharazôn walked the first tentative steps towards the exit, in case he was needed again. The prince still resented this a little, but he did not complain. The sacred fire was crackling in the altar, and as his gaze fell upon it, he muttered a heartfelt prayer. It was the Lord of Battles he had prayed to, when he had been about to lose his life, and it seemed that the god had not withdrawn his favour in his moment of direst need.

When he came to the tent flap, he was beginning to feel steady enough as to stretch his arms and open it himself. Outside, the morning sun shone so brightly that he was forced to close his eyes, blinded by its intensity. A cold intensity, he thought, wondering why it was so difficult to feel warmth since he had been in that creature’s presence.

“My lord.”

Someone was before him, and he needed to blink several times before he could recognize Adherbal. Next to him, there were others, and as he looked around, he counted not two, or three, or even four, but at least forty- no, sixty men at least, and that was only on the first row. Behind them, other faces lined up for his scrutiny, so many that he finally gave up on trying to count them. They had all been there, standing around the tent while he slept.

“As you can see, I am alive!” he shouted, holding up his arms. A clamour arose at those words, a wordless roar of mismatched shouts and voices, which gradually came together in a chant.

“The King has come!”

“Hail the King!”

“He came back from the Darkness in triumph!”

“Hail the King!”

“Now he treads upon the living world, where he will dwell until the end of time!”

He reeled back, in shock. That was the litany of the King of Armenelos, the one they sang every year in the festival commemorating his resurrection. But it was also what they sung whenever a new King emerged from the caves under the Meneltarma.

Pharazôn stood still, until the chant subsided on its third return.

“Thanks, my friends.” He forced a smile. “I am neither a king nor a god, but I have indeed survived Darkness.”

Many people cheered. He waited for this to subside, too.

“Now, let us take Arne -and then, we will march on Mordor!”

The words had come to his mind almost unbidden, like a sudden impulse, spurred by the hateful remembrance of the creature’s mockeries and its undignified escape back to the safety of his master’s fortress. He half-expected many to balk at them, as the battle had been long and exhausting, and the casualties by Orcs and that strange creature of darkness must have been considerable. The cheer, however, was even louder than the previous one. He looked around, and was amazed to discover nothing but awe and adoration shining in every countenance. He knew he had always been well-liked, admired even, but this was beyond that, somehow -this was a fervour he had only seen among pilgrims crossing the threshold of a temple. If he wanted to ride into the dark abyss of his dreams, they would follow him.

King of Men, the cold voice hissed in his mind. Pharazôn blinked several times, in an effort to dislodge it.

“Adherbal, summon a herald to carry our message to the King of the Arnians.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The message was as cold as it was concise: King Xaron had to open the gates of his city and deliver himself to the Legate of the King of Númenor for trial, or else his entire people would be either massacred by the Númenórean army or starved to death in a pointless siege. The first time, the King sent only one word as an answer: never. A day later, however, he had opened his gates and dismounted from his horse to be taken before Pharazôn.

“Is this a joke?” Merimne spat, staring in amazement at the figure who was dragged before them. She had survived the battle, to Pharazôn’s unspoken relief, but her arm was seriously injured and she chafed under the restraints that the healers had put on her, binding it to her chest and forbidding her to move anything from her waist to her neck.

As Pharazôn looked in King Xaron’s direction, it became immediately apparent why she had said that. He had seen Prince Noxaris, both alive and dead, and though he had never set eyes on his brother before, he had assumed that he had to be an older man. The King of the Arnians, however -or at least the man who claimed to be King of the Arnians- looked much younger, and considerably less impressive. He was short and rather fat, almost as pale as a lady, and his face, shaved in the Númenórean fashion, was as round as the moon. The most flattering thing that could be said of him is that he was not shaking in fear, but instead stared back at them in stony silence.

Pharazôn stood up, his anger flaring. Would the Arnians dare to play games with him?

“Is this the King of Arne?” He looked around, at the Númenórean captains and commanders who surrounded him. “Who among you can vouch for it?”

Adherbal stepped forwards. His eyes were fixed on the prisoner with a mixture of shock and fascination.

“I can, my lord prince. This is indeed the King of Arne. I was at his coronation, fourteen years ago.”

He must have been a child by then, Pharazôn thought, if his reckoning of barbarian years was accurate.

“Well, then. King Xaron of Arne, do you relinquish your Sceptre and all your rights of succession in favour of the Númenórean King, and submit to judgement for betraying the alliance and committing treason?”

The moon face glared back at him.

“I am here only for the sake of my people. I relinquish nothing.”

A faint murmur arose around them, which Pharazôn quelled with a gesture of his hand. Inside him, the anger was growing anew. What was it with all those traitors? They joined hands with Mordor, caused the death of thousands of Númenóreans, not to mention their own people, rode to the battlefield alongside creatures of darkness, and then acted like they had never done anything unlawful. The Merchant Princes of Gadir were one thing, but he would not tolerate such behaviour from an Arnian.

“Is that your final answer?”

Their eyes met. Xaron did not only not look away, which would have been bad enough, but seemed to have the evil courage to expect him to avert his glance. When it became apparent that Pharazôn was not going to do anything of the sort, the barbarian’s eyes narrowed in contempt.

“You are the Prince Pharazôn, are you not? The son of the Princess of the South. We used to hear about her from our grandfather, King Xaris the Second. He had very fond memories of the time when she worked as a sacred whore in the temple of Ashtarte-Uinen in Gadir.”

The murmur was not faint this time: it was loud and ominous, but Pharazôn did not bother to silence it anymore. All that mattered now was the eyes set on him, those of this contemptible barbarian monarch and, above all, those of his men, who could not see him lose his composure in public. Not for something like this.

Not for the sake of the woman whose name they had secretly heard him call in his dreams, in the nights when he saw her burst in flames and his traitorous voice escaped his control.

“Very funny”, he smiled, a smile as frozen as the dark void under the spectre’s iron armour. “Kill him.”

As he strode away from the turmoil, he became aware of someone following his footsteps. Guessing both his identity and his intentions, he made no attempt to slow down which could make it any easier for him.

“My lord. My lord, wait!”

After the fourth call, he finally stopped in his tracks.

“No man in this whole army questions my decisions. Except of course for you, Barekbal. You can no longer stop pestering me than you can stop breathing.”

“I am not here to question your decision”, the man argued. Pharazôn snorted.

“Then why are you here?”

“So far, ancient custom dictated that such executions of enemy leaders had to take place in Númenor. Even you, my lord prince, have always endeavoured to respect tradition. And the King…”

This King does not want blood to be spilled on his precious marble floors. “For a moment, for a single, short, isolated moment, he allowed his contempt to shine through. “Let us humour him.”

Barekbal said nothing.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The King of Arne’s execution was the first of many others in the bloody days that ensued. Having renounced his right to delegate to a higher responsibility, in what Pharazôn persistently refused to call a hot-headed moment, he had to follow through the trials of so many aides, ministers and distant kinsmen that at some point he felt almost overwhelmed by disgust and impatience. He felt like he was wasting his time directing his anger at pointless targets, as unsympathetic as those might be, instead of moving any closer to his real objective. His whole reality became dominated by the red blur of death, the bleak progress of bureaucracy, and what was perhaps the most unnerving thing of all, the intriguing of the women in the Palace. At times, and more and more often as days went by, he felt as if it would have been a good idea to kill them, too.

In Arne, men and women formed what amounted to two separate courts. From what he could gather after the first few days, the women’s court was organized around two prominent figures: Queen Valentia, the King’s widow and sister, and her cousin, Princess Xara, who had been married to Prince Noxaris, and whose sons had been in line for the throne. The two eldest had died in battle with their father, leaving Pharazôn’s hostage in Gadir as the only identified survivor. Since the Queen had a baby daughter, Phaleris was the heir to the throne now, and Númenor would probably make him King after he was raised in the Island. As soon as both parties had managed to obtain this information, it did not seem to matter much to them that their kingdom was laid waste, that men were dying around them or even that their husbands had just passed away. Princess Xara, a middle-aged woman who wore gaudily dyed dresses and makeup even though she was supposed to be in mourning, had restricted her advances to inviting him to her rooms twice, to interrogate him in every detail about her son’s whereabouts, security and health, and ask him to look after the boy’s safety, as he was the only remaining treasure of her life. Pharazôn had done his best to be polite, and that had been all.

The Queen, however, was another matter. She had been to see him every day, often appearing to chance upon him in a manner that he had to wonder if she had spies following his every movement. She was older than her brother-husband, but an impressive beauty nonetheless, as he had heard his own men remark over their cups. Her aristocratic elegance and spectacular attire, covered in precious jewels from the emerald diadem in her head to the silver thread in her shoes, would have put most of the ladies of Armenelos to shame.

The first time, Pharazôn had thought that she wanted to beg for someone’s life, so he tried to look for a delicate way to tell her that she should mind her own business. Then, she gave him a dazzling smile, and all the words he had been searching for vanished from his mind.

“I was wondering if your Royal Highness would accept a drink in the shade of our peach tree garden”, she intoned, with a graceful bow. Behind them, he heard whispers.

“As soon as my obligations permit it, my lady”, he replied, gathering back his thoughts. He tried to stress the word ‘obligations’, in an attempt to subtly convey how improperly she was acting, but she merely smiled and claimed that she would be waiting for him.

In the end, he had paid her that visit, only to discover that “a drink” meant tray after tray of coloured beverages in blown glass cups, and elaborate barbarian dishes brought in by a procession of ladies. He refused all of them, claiming that he had already eaten. Surely such level of false affectation must be hiding some kind of design on his life, and what better way to do it than poison?

“Is there anything you wish to tell me, my lady?”, he asked after a while, deciding it was time to go straight to the point. She let one of her ivory-pale hands travel towards her chest, and sighed deeply.

“In our childhood, we Arnians are taught that the dead will always stay among us. Their passing might bring us sadness, but in the end, it is the living which should worry us most of all. It pains me to think of my poor nephew in the Island beyond the seas, so far away from home” she said, picking a golden grape between two fingers and putting it into her mouth. “You seem an honourable man, aside from a great warrior. If only you would agree to look after him, it would bring an immense relief to my heart.”

“Princess Xara already asked this of me.” It had sounded more believable then.

“Of course, of course. The poor dear is so devastated. To have her husband not only die a traitor on the battlefield, but also take two of her sons with him in his pointless attempt! Such a ghastly business!”

“Yes. Well.” Pharazôn was so thunderstruck at this level of effrontery that he was rendered speechless. So Noxaris was the only traitor now? Did these barbarians live even shorter lives than the ones near Umbar, to the point that what had happened a week ago was already the long-forgotten past for them? “I must leave now, my lady. As much as I have enjoyed your company, I still have much to do.”

But this was not the last he had seen of her. If she hated him, as she surely must, she hid her emotions so well behind a veil of elegant manners, warm smiles and a thousand subtle ways of conveying womanly admiration, that there were moments when his own mind began to doubt itself. He felt as if things were truly not as he remembered them, that she had been a prisoner of Noxaris and his Mordor allies, and that he had fought this war to rescue her.

It had been Adherbal, who had spent most of his life in the Bay of Gadir, who finally handed him the key to solve this riddle. One night, as they were both drinking together with Barekbal and Merimne, the conversation shifted toward the fabulous trophies they had found in King Xaron’s storerooms: jewels and ornaments and weapons of considerable antiquity, most of which had originally come from Númenor through the kingdom’s ties with the Merchant Princes.

“That longsword that shines under the light of the moon and the sun must have belonged to a King,” Barekbal argued. “And I don’t mean a king of Arne. I wonder how those merchants managed to get a hold of it.”

“Ar Adunakhôr. Debt.” Adherbal explained, his consonants slurring a little. “Enough said.”

“I wonder why the Arnians would want such a thing. It is of no use to them”, Merimne said with a frown. “Not even most of you Númenóreans are tall enough to wield it.”

“Why would they want to wield it? Locked in their vaults, it gives them status.”

Merimne snorted in disdain.

“Did you turn this people into fools when you made them your allies?”

“I know someone who can wield this sword”, Pharazôn intervened. He had been drinking much, as the wine helped him attain the luxury of a dreamless sleep, but saying little. “Do you remember Amandil, Barekbal? Or Hannishtart, as he used to be called?”

The commander stiffened.

“Oh, yes. He was under my command for a time, in the Middle Havens. Before he became the Lord of Andúnië, of course.”

“Well, he has a son who is well over a head taller than I am.”

“By the Lord of Battles, that must be a sight to behold!”

“In any case, if you wish to keep it, you are entitled to a third of the spoils.”

“The Prince is a legate, though”, Barekbal reminded Adherbal. How that man could wish to argue law even when drunk was something that Pharazôn found remarkable.

“Oh, and who was the last Númenórean who won a war as a legate? Did that ever happen?” Adherbal’s arms flailed in an amusing way when he argued. “The Prince is creating a precedent, this should allow for some leeway. Apparently, her Royal Fairness the Queen of Arne thinks so, too.”

Pharazôn let the cup fall back on the table.

“What do you mean by that?”

Adherbal did not even blink.

“Well, only that she seems to believe that the King would not mind if you ruled Arne by her side.”

“Are you joking? That woman knows as well as I do that her nephew is the heir to the throne.”

“But that is not really true, is it? I mean, according to Arnian law.”

For a moment, he was so stunned to see Adherbal acting like Barekbal that he needed a moment to register the information. As he did so, his eyes narrowed.

“What of Arnian law?”

“Well, that in this realm, succession is passed on the female line. The eldest daughter born to the royal couple receives the Sceptre, and she has to choose her husband among her closest kin. Brothers, if possible”, he added, with a grimace of disgust.

“But Xaron was the King!” And he was younger than his brother, he remembered, his confusion growing by the moment.

“Oh, yes, he acted as the King. He ruled the land and led his troops to battle and all that, though this one was not quite up to the task, was he? But she was the one who chose him.”

It was not the most ludicrous thing that Pharazôn had ever heard; in Harad, he had been a witness to barbarian practices of every shape and kind. He had laughed those off easily, but now, he found that he did not feel very amused.

“Well, even if she has somehow conceived the delusion that I would marry her, and that the King would ever agree to that, she must know that I am not her close kin, and therefore excluded from the succession!”

Adherbal shrugged.

“Yes, but you are a Númenórean prince. The Númenórean prince who just conquered Arne. Maybe she thinks that those credentials will be enough.”

“She has run out of brothers now. “Barekbal chimed in. “If she does not find a replacement, she will not be able to remain Queen, and her beloved cousin will usurp her place.”

“This is revolting.” As usual, Merimne was the most adept at putting complex thoughts in a few words. “I thought that she wanted revenge for her dead husband.”

“That possibility occurred to me, too. At first”, Pharazôn nodded, trying to suppress the train of thought that was emerging in his mind: of him becoming a king in the mainland, living in barbarian splendour in a fortress atop a hill, building his own kingdom…

fighting Mordor on one side and Númenor on the other....

“If I were her, I would have tried to seduce you, and once in bed, I would have waited until you fell asleep and slit your throat.” Merimne insisted. “That would have been the honourable thing to do.”

Barekbal and Adherbal stared at her, and Barekbal opened his mouth to utter a retort, but Pharazôn cut him before they could start fighting.

“I am relieved to hear that I am surrounded by such honourable people” he said, drily. His thoughts, however, were still wandering elsewhere, pondering the implications of this new disclosure.

“So… what of her daughter, then? Is she supposed to be the next Queen?”

“The next King will be appointed by the Númenórean Sceptre, and the next Queen will be the woman who weds him,” Barekbal said, firmly.

“Though perhaps not all the Arnians will agree,” Adherbal pointed out. Wonderful.

“She will have to be betrothed to her cousin, then. As soon as she grows her first teeth, if possible.”

“But according to our law, cousin marriage is incestuous. I don´t know if the King…”

“He can choose between that and killing her, then.” Pharazôn stood up; he could still hold himself quite steadily. Perhaps he needed to drink more. “I will not make that decision for him, too.”

“Or he could do neither, and then send us again next time there is a revolt”, Merimne added, her features set into a blank mask that made it difficult to spot if she was being sarcastic or merely informative. Barekbal, however, knew her well enough as to take offense at her words.

“I hardly believe it is the place for a barbarian, even if she has been promoted to the war council, to discuss the King’s policies!”

“Barbarian or not, she is probably right”, Pharazôn said, refilling his cup so he could take it to his chambers with him.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

More than a month passed before they could contemplate safely leaving Arne. The strength of the Arnian army had been broken in war, their King was dead and the aristocratic class decimated, and the peasants were too busy emigrating West, looking for food in the areas where the crops had not been stolen or the fields destroyed by the passing armies. Even so, the citadel remained a risk, until the garrison of both fortress and walls, as well as the river outposts, was substantially reorganized and placed under Númenórean control.

This slowed down his progress to a considerable extent, however, and it was not until early summer that war preparations began in earnest. Pharazôn was feeling like a caged beast by then. His dreams had grown worse with time, more vivid and terrible, as if the phantom of darkness he had defeated had cursed him with its touch. Other fears of a more down-to-earth kind plagued him as well: he remained uneasy about the situation in Gadir, and he was also afraid of receiving dispatches from Númenor, forcing him to abandon his enterprise. During the campaign, he had been unreachable, deep in enemy territory, but surely news of the current situation of the war must have reached the Council by now. He was used to having free rein in most of his campaigns, but he could not fool himself: both King and Council had been following this one with much closer interest, waiting -perhaps hoping- for any signs of his treachery. Now that he was about to achieve his objective, it would be just like them to begrudge him what could be his greatest victory. It would take about a month for their orders to reach him here, so speed was even more of the essence.

He would not let them stop him. Sauron was the real enemy, the driving force behind all of Middle-Earth’s rebellions, and if he was not defeated, the entire war would have been in vain. No Númenórean had ever been so close to destroying him forever, either in Temple scrolls or in living memory. No one had led an army to the very gates of his stronghold and defeated him in battle, and, as the soldiers in his army whispered among themselves, none had looked into the face of Darkness and survived.

And not merely survived, he thought. Day after day, he grew more and more aware of the ways in which this darkness had shaped his spirit, making it colder, more purposeful, more focused in his goal. Sometimes, he wondered if the intensity of those dreams, the irrational fear that they awoke in him, and the creature’s black predictions on the distant battlefield could be nothing but his foe’s desperate attempts to turn him away from his path.

Then, suddenly, just two days before the planned date of their departure, Princess Xara asked for an audience in his chambers. Unlike her persistent sister-in-law, the Queen Valentia, Xara seemed to have given up pestering him after he had given her all the information he had about her son, so this development surprised him. Her new forwardness, too, seemed out of place, as she had not merely avoided seeking him in his own rooms before, but even fled any public spaces that could become ground for chance encounters, keeping to her own quarters, where she was always surrounded by women.

There were no women with her now: the two ladies who had accompanied her as she walked across the Palace remained on the threshold like guardian statues when she came in. After some hesitation, Pharazôn dismissed his own guards as well. He had not forgotten Merimne’s words about the ways of honourable revenge, but he believed he could handle one unwarriorlike woman on his own, and he did not intend to lower his guard.

“Please, my lady, have a seat”, he offered courteously. She did not look so gaudy today; her dress was made of a bright green fabric, but with few ornaments. The only signs of real luxury were the golden embroideries of the veil that covered her hair. This was apparently a requirement for women who left their own quarters, though most were so transparent that they might as well not wear anything at all.

She hesitated for a long time before finally accepting his offer. Even then, she sat gingerly, on the edge of the seat, as if she was intending to bolt off. When he offered her a drink, she refused it.

“You know, there is no reason for you to be afraid of poison”, he said, attempting a conversational tone. “If I wanted to kill you, my lady, I would have done so already.”

Before he had finished saying this, he was already aware of how tactless it had been. For a moment, he wavered, pondering whether he should offer her some sort of apology or go straight to the point and ask her what she was doing there, but before he could make up his mind, she spoke.

“I have a request to make of you, my lord.” He blinked, taken by surprise. There was nobody left on trial, what kind of request could that be?

His surprise increased when she suddenly stood up, and fell to her knees before him.

“Please,” she said, holding his gaze in hers with an intensity that shocked him. “Take me to Númenor as your prisoner.”

“What? That is not necessary! “He shook his head, trying to escape it, but she would not let go.” We have no quarrel with women. Please my lady, sit down.”

She might as well have been deaf.

“If my son is in Númenor, I wish to be with him. I do not care what else happens to me, even if I am imprisoned for life and if I do not see the light of the sun again.”

“Very well. I see that there has been an unfortunate misunderstanding.” Pharazôn tried to keep his voice even, but he was starting to feel exasperated. “As I told you before, my lady, your son will be the King of Arne one day. In Númenor, he will be raised by a prominent family, and once that he reaches his majority, seven or eight years from now, you will have him back. I said I had no reason to poison you, and now I must insist: I have no reason to lie to you, either.”

Princess Xara shook her head.

“You, the People of the Sea, do not understand. How could you? Seven years are but a moment to you, and a year passes in a blink of an eye. But for us, even a year is an eternity when we are half a world away from those we love. Our life is short and uncertain: tomorrow we could grow sick and die, and in this cruel world where we live, we can die by violence as well. In seven years, my son could contract an illness, he could fall from a rooftop, he could drown. As for me, I am even frailer than he is. I am not young anymore, my health has never been strong, and I will have to ward myself against the Queen’s intrigues and elude her attempts on my life. Oh, I am not trying to cast myself as a victim.” she added when she saw him about to open his mouth. “I am aware that she has as much reason to mistrust me as I do her, and it might well be that I would emerge triumphant from our struggle, if I stayed here and fought to defend my position. But I no longer have the wish to do that. I will gladly relinquish the battlefield to her, abandon my faction, my place at Court, and follow you to the end of the world, if that is the only sure way to see my son again in this life.”

Pharazôn took a deep breath, trying to bring some order to the turmoil of his thoughts. There were many things that he wanted to say, but precisely because they were all relevant, he could not decide what should go first.

We are not immortal, my lady; we grow sick and old and we can be killed as well. We do not need you to inform us about the passing of time, was the first thought to form in his head.

Are you threatening me with intrigue wars in the Arnian Court unless I agree to take you along? Did I hear right that you would try to murder the Queen, or else be murdered by her? was a close second, which came with the swift impetuousness of anger.

Your son is much safer in Númenor than he would be anywhere else, was his third and final thought. There is advanced medicine there, he will be taught how to swim, and if he has an ounce of sense he will not fall from a rooftop.

But mothers were irrational in Númenor, too. He remembered how his own mother had forbidden him to play with swords, or receive any formal training as a child for fear that he would get hurt, and he had needed to find a boy in the temple who taught him everything he knew. A boy by the name of Hannimelkor.

Back then, she had also spent her days praying to the gods to protect him in his path to the glorious destiny that she had devised for him. Now that he dreamed of her every night, now that his sleep had become tainted by the paralyzing and irrational fear of loss, he had started to wonder if all her assurances that the Lord and the Lady of Númenor protected him had been nothing but a way to forestall her own fears for his fate. The bond between mother and son was strong, and it often felt like a welcome if confining refuge, but it could turn into the most terrible weakness known to man.

Even her city was weighing heavily in his mind now, because he saw it as an extension of her.

“Would I be able to convince you to rise, my lady, if I swore on the name of the Lord of Battles to look after your son?” It would not be the first time that he swore such an oath, he remembered, thinking wistfully of that night under the stars of Armenelos, before Amandil’s departure for the Forbidden Bay.

But of course, for her it would not be enough. Nothing would be enough.

Please” she insisted. “He is the only thing I have left, after my other sons and my husband…”

The sentence was left unfinished, but she could not hide her tears. Growing pale at the realization, she rushed to wipe them with the back of her veil, and forced herself to breathe in long and deep gasps.

“Please, f-forgive me. I have strived to act properly and have not mourned them since they died as traitors, but… it was a moment of weakness. I meant nothing by it.”

So that was why she wore makeup and gaudy dresses, he thought, realization dawning on his mind. And instead of figuring it out for himself, as he should have, he had criticised her for her insensitive behaviour.

When had he become so callous? He tried to remember the first time he saw death: he had been a child, and for him it had been exciting to be allowed to stand next to the adults while those barbarian savages met their grisly end. If he had he been shocked at the sight of blood, he could not even recall.

The first time that he killed, it had been an Orc, and good riddance. The first man that he killed -a woman, actually, the one that was at the brink of killing Amandil in that desert tent in Harad- had not left a great impression on him, either, though he remembered his friend almost losing his mind over it, and jeopardising their survival for a while. Luckily, Pharazôn had kept his wits together for both of them in those moments of uncertainty. And then of course it had happened again, and again, until even Amandil had forgotten his misplaced moral outrage. They were enemies, all of them, people who met them on the battlefield, or snuck upon them by stealth, to either kill them or be killed. Few of them ever surrendered, and their women were just as bad as they were, hiding knives under pillows, as Merimne had said, to slit their throats as soon as they lowered their guard, and teaching their children to gouge the eyes out of Númenórean heads. There were exceptions: warriors who knew when they were defeated and accepted to join their ranks as allies, but asides from those -whom he had always treated with respect, even above the usual Númenórean standards- it was not possible to fight those people by being civilized to them.

He assumed it had been at that point, when things started to become blurred around the edges, but that was how it was supposed to be, in a place such as this.

You are not so different from us, are you?

If the three-way alliance of the Merchant Princes, Arne and Mordor should have proved something, it was that Merimne was right in this: they were not so different from barbarians. His own kinsmen, born from unbroken lines of powerful Númenórean descent, had been a part of this, no less than the Arnians had. And yet, he had unleashed all his anger on the latter. Perhaps it was unfair, if one thought about it, but it was nothing out of the usual either, and he still felt no regret for anything he had done. He would have still cut off the insolent head of the young buffoon chosen by his power-hungry sister as puppet ruler of Arne, of his nobles and ministers, and if that son of a bitch Noxaris and his sons had left the battlefield alive, he would have killed them too. In a few days, he would be glad to leave this hole and march on Mordor, which was his true purpose, and he did not care for what happened to any of them afterwards, as long as they didn’t cause trouble again.

What was it with this woman, then? Though she could not bear arms or sit on the Council, she might not be wholly innocent. She had shared the bed of one of his enemies and gave birth to others, and she hated him for killing them, without the slightest shadow of a doubt. And yet, as she saw her there, begging to be able to see her child, she made him think of his mother, and he felt almost as evil as Sauron.

You brought this upon yourselves, he was at the brink of saying. But he did not.

“Very well, I will honour your request” he found himself saying instead. “Once this campaign is over, you will join your son in Gadir and you will both sail to Númenor with me. I will leave word that you should be escorted there, even if I myself should not return. But I will only do this if you leave that position right now.”

Mumbling her thanks, the Princess let him help her to her feet, nervously dabbing at her eyes. Her look of happiness was still tinged with anxiety.

“May I have some water to wash my face? If the Queen’s women should see me like this…”

“There is a basin here somewhere”. Go, look for it and leave me alone, he thought. Her visit had disquieted him: even the cold sense of purpose that had not abandoned him since that fateful night on the battlefield seemed to have shattered briefly. All the emotions that filled him now were hot by contrast: shame, doubt, and something else that he could not quite identify, but which had nothing to do with sexual desire, as the presence of a woman might have led to expect.

That night, for the first time in months, he did not have the dream of his mother burning. Instead, he dreamed of a woman in a veil who walked a path of shadows, calling for her children in tones of increasing desperation.  Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks, and Pharazôn realized that she must have spotted him.

“My son! I thought that you were dead!”

“I am not your son, my lady”, he said, but his words died in his mouth when he saw the Princess Melkyelid’s face emerging from the veil. Suddenly afraid, knowing that she would die as she did every night, he ran towards her, to try to get to her before the fire reached her. She gazed back at him, happily, and extended her arms towards him.

As he pulled her into an embrace, however, his own arms closed over thin air, and he stood in the shadows, alone.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

They woke him before dawn, when the darkness was still thick enough as to seem part of his haunting dream. For a moment, he thought that he had been yelling again, and cursed himself for his lack of control, but the person who stood before him was not any of the room guards or servants, but Barekbal himself.

Knowing that something serious must have happened gave him the needed impulse to sharpen his wits in a matter of seconds.

“What is the matter?” he said, sitting on the edge of the bed and looking for a cloak to cover his nakedness.

Under the light of the candle, Barekbal’s features had a positively gloomy air about them.

“My lord prince, there was a dispatch…”

“From Númenor?” Damn. Damn the King and damn the Council and damn his evil luck. He had been about to leave…a few more days, and he would have departed.

“No.” The army commander shook his head, shattering the thread of his thoughts as soon as it had begun to form. “From Gadir. The city has revolted.”

“What?”

“The rebels are not soldiers, and they are no match for the Númenórean army, but the Commander is afraid that this may end with the city destroyed, and Númenórean citizens killed. He says that this exceeds his responsibility. So far, they have barricaded themselves and managed not to engage, but the situation may change very soon, depending on what the rebels do. He begs you to return at all speed.”

Soon. Soon. Pharazôn wanted to laugh, and shout at the same time. That letter could not be less than five days old.

“What are your orders, my lord?”

Go to hell, he thought. Go to hell, all of you.

In the sudden haze of his mind, a cold laugh that he somehow recognized as that of his enemy was ringing, Gadir was burning, and his mother burst in flames for the thousandth time. Far in the distance, in his throne in Armenelos, the King’s eyes were alight with the glow of victory.

Years after this, a chilling voice whispered in the back of his mind, you will still be wondering if you made the right choice. If you could have defeated me. If you could have been there in time.

If you could have saved her.

“The lighter troops are ready to march already. I will take them to Gadir today”, he said. “You will stay in charge of Arne.”

Barekbal bowed solemnly, before walking away.

Interlude X: City of Water II

Read Interlude X: City of Water II

“Queen of the Seas, guide of sailors, fortune of merchants. Protectress of the Bay, Lady of Gadir. Queen of the Seas, guide of sailors, fortune of merchants. Protectress of the Bay, Lady of Gadir.”

She had known it the very first time that she had looked into those eyes, only to see the lifeless features of a carved statue gazing back at her. She had known it when the ears became deaf, when the answers were there no more, when the flames had not risen from the embers in spite of her best efforts, and dark clouds of smoke clouded the air instead of flying towards the high heaven. She had known it in her deepest, innermost of hearts, and still she had remained there, her knees a terrible agony, her every breath a struggle against suffocation, and prayed.

“You need to rest, my lady”, her attendants said to her, so many times that she could not even count them anymore.

“What are you trying to accomplish?” her husband asked, in growing confusion.

The impossible, she thought, with a deep shiver of dread.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Melkyelid stood up from her seat. The heavy silver necklace that she was wearing made a clinking noise, and she remembered her father´s hands, turning it thrice around her neck.

“You are my pride. Even as you sit in your brilliant palace at the end of the world, never forget your blood.”

Her mother, patiently tying the seventy thin braids of her hair with silver bands.

“You are my pride. Even as you watch the sun die in front of your eyes, never forget your blood.”

Her elder sisters, who stole looks of mingled jealousy and admiration while they painted her fingernails with diminutive figures of purple, and arranged the folds of blue silk spun in silver of her dress.

“You are our pride. Even as you bear long-lived children with the eyes of gods, never forget your blood.”

Never forget your blood.

That blood was thrumming through her veins now, under the golden skin that covered the hands with which she had written her letters, the belly which had carried her beloved son, the breasts which had fed him. Bearer of the King, she had explained to her husband once. This was the meaning of her name.

That blood ran in him, too, in a body which had once been a part of hers. She had been nothing but a bridge of blood, which now suddenly stood between enemy territories, joining what could never be joined anymore. For all bridges had to be destroyed, so it said in the books of military strategy which he had always been so eager to read. If the enemy remained undefeated, they presented dangerous openings for an attack, but if it had been defeated, they became bridges to nowhere.

A bridge to nowhere, she thought, almost unconsciously testing the words in her lips to see how they sounded. The gold and ivory features before her, which had remained vacant for days, seemed to be suddenly animated by a spark of awareness, but it was probably nothing but a trick of the smoke, which was thick around her eyes.

And then, she felt it. Pain, not dull and persistent as the ache in her knees, but like a white-hot explosion of agony in her chest. Her limbs became rigid, and her features were twisted in a grotesque, gaping grimace as she tried to scream, but no sound would come to her lips. Realizing belatedly that she would be seen in this undignified pose, she abandoned her attempts, and willed herself to withstand the pain with bravery.

I accept it, she thought. I will take it. I am the sacrifice, and I am willing.

But she was not. She had wanted to see him. She had so wanted to see him again.

Please, forgive me, she said, to him, to them, to her, to all the wronged souls, high and low, mortal and divine. Forgive me.

Melkyelid fell.

 

The Eye of the Storm

Read The Eye of the Storm

Whenever he tried to close his eyes and remember the bodies, she was among them. No matter how many times he told himself that it had not been so, that the moment they passed the poisoned cup around the room she had been half a world away, somehow she was still there, a grave yet proud look in her eyes as she embraced her own death, surrounded by her people.

 

There was nothing to be proud about, Mother, he wanted to yell angrily, shaking her cold, inert limbs with his hands. As its ruling council, they had been entrusted with the task of protecting the city, and instead of this they had brought its destruction. In their folly, they assumed that he had marched on Mordor, that he would not be coming back, and seized the chance to organize an uprising, using their fellow citizens as pawns in their mad bid for salvation. The Commander’s concern for their accursed city had been greater than theirs; he had done all he could to prevent an engagement and reach a peaceful solution while he waited for his arrival, but they had other plans. And when the fires started…that had been the end of all, of peace, of both guilty and innocent lives, and, in the end, of the city itself.

 

They must have believed that they were acting nobly, when they locked themselves in the cave sanctuary and put an end to their own lives. But the truth was that they had been nothing but a bunch of cowards. They could not even face what they had done. Had they been able to look into the eyes of the deity of the place, whose statue loomed wrathfully over them? Perhaps they thought that she would forgive them if they died at her feet in some sort of unholy sacrifice, that she would still wish to free them from Eternal Darkness. Pharazôn was no expert in the ways of the divine, but he hoped that she would not.

 

He had never been quite as attached to the city as his mother had been, but it had still shocked him to see it like this: burned and ruined buildings, streets full of corpses, the channel water dark from the soot and the fumes.

 

The sight was terrible, Mother, but it was not the end. It did not have to be. Cities could be rebuilt, and decimated populations could grow back, but they needed to have the will to do so. He had seen the survivors, two days after the disaster: they were huddled together in the quarter at the other side of the channel, which the fire had not been able to penetrate, though there was no shelter for all of them there, and barely any food. Many of them seemed so shocked, their gazes so vacant as they held to their loved ones and looked into the distance, that it did not seem far-fetched to believe that they would have let themselves die as well. Balbazer had confessed to him that he had been tempted to let them, but duty won out in the end and he began the preparations to evacuate most of them to Umbar.

 

They did not have that will anymore. Was it the same with you? Was this what happened?

 

He had been told in no uncertain terms -for in his grief he had felt the need to ask, to pry, to revise every detail- that it had not been any kind of self-inflicted death, like that of the city councilmen. She did not seem to have let herself die, either, as in those ghastly rumours that circulated in secret about his late grandmother, the wife of Gimilzôr. According to those who had surrounded her, she had not stopped eating or drinking, and the freakish ability to have one’s soul leave the body at will was something that only those of the bloodline of Andúnië were known to possess. No, it had been a sudden stroke, and her heart had stopped beating while she prayed in the middle of the night, so there was no one around who could hear her. Such an unfortunate happening was rare but not unheard-of, and she was not so young anymore -and, apparently, she had been overexerting herself with her devotions since this entire affair had started.

 

Still, in spite of what they said, and in spite of the fact that he had never seen her corpse until it was embalmed and ready to pass under the Meneltarma, the scene was fixed on his mind as if he had witnessed it: his mother, lying on the floor at the feet of the statue, exactly as those bodies had been in the cave of Gadir. Two scenes, exactly identical in spite of the great expanse of the Sea between them, like some strangely coordinated sacrifice.

 

Had she known that she would die, from her visions? Had she seen things, as he had for all this time? Those dreams that he had, which he took for an expression of his darkest fears, seemed to have been proved true in the end. Had they been of those that they called prophetic? If so, it was almost too much of an irony to think that he had been worrying all his life because he could not figure how to work the sacred leaf, only for his bloodline to finally gain the upper hand in such a roundabout way. And then, as Amandil had always claimed, it had brought him suffering, but availed him nothing. He had tried to do all he could for her: to keep her city intact, to spare her from malicious charges, and even to follow her wish that he should earn glory at the same time. But he had failed in the end, and if he had never dreamed anything at all, right now he might have believed what they said about the stroke -and at least been spared the agony of suspicion.

 

Defeat. Was this what the creature had said? He would suffer a great defeat. And what greater defeat could there be than this? He had defeated countless enemies, he had defeated the armies of Mordor themselves, but he had not defeated Fate.

 

Fate. He shook his head bitterly. And foolishness. And incompetence. And cowardly schemers, mindless rabble, treacherous barbarians, a venomous Council, and above them all, the insidious mind of the King of Númenor, who had sent him to the Bay to fail. That was all there was to it, and he refused to surrender to the lure of self-loathing. The truth was that he had done everything that he had to do, but he had also been placed in an untenable situation by others. Others who were no less his enemies than the barbarians, the Orcs, and the rebels he had faced in the battlefield, but whom he could not kill as easily as he had killed those. Others who would gloat if he surrendered now, if he fell into the trap of blaming himself, of losing his pride and seeking forgiveness for his perceived mistakes.

 

I will forgive you everything, except for a single thing: that you fail to fulfil your destiny.

 

This was the only truth he could be sure of: that she had believed in his destiny until the very end, even to the point of sending him that letter as soon as she had known about his situation. He had not known what the cost would be for her until it was too late, and a part of him was humbled by the sacrifice. If there was anything he could do to bring peace to her soul, he could not surrender. Not now, not ever.

 

Even if she had.

 

“My lord prince, they are calling for you”, the chamberlain announced with a bow. He stood up, and took a long, deep breath as he forced his mind to discard all distracting thoughts and focus.

 

“I am ready.”

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

He had never entered that chamber before, though not due to his father’s lack of trying. The truth was, that even dealing with flesh-eating savages seemed more appealing to Pharazôn than sitting there, offering vapid smiles to rivals and exchanging barbs over the distribution of revenues and the ratification of trade agreements. If left to his devices, he would have happily continued ignoring their existence in his haven on the mainland, but they had chosen to break this unspoken yet mutually beneficial agreement when they called upon him to lead the military intervention in the Bay. Now, they had summoned him to have him justify his actions in the middle of the mourning period for his mother, and Pharazôn had no vapid smiles to spare.

 

“My lord King, lords of the Council. Father”, he added, sending a brief look in the Prince Gimilkhâd’s direction. He had been allowed back into the Council, but his demeanour was far from triumphant on the day of his return. In fact, Pharazôn thought, it might have been the first time in his life that he saw his father’s hair in disarray, and his eyes bore the sunken marks of a man who had not slept for many nights.

 

A loud murmur rose in response to his formal greeting. For a moment, he let his gaze wander across the men who sat in the Council chairs, conversing with their aides, riffling through sheets of paper, or merely looking at him. Many of the glances were hostile, but others were curious. He saw Amandil sitting at the right end of the row, next to Lord Zakarbal, but he was one of those who seemed too busy to look at him, lost as he was in an animated exchange of whispers with his son. Pharazôn knew him well enough to see that he was doing it on purpose, to avoid meeting his eye.

 

At the other end of the row, the fugitive Magon’s chair had been taken by the King’s son-in-law, the Prince Vorondil.

 

“You have been summoned here to answer the Council’s questions concerning the recent campaign in the Bay of Belfalas”, the King spoke from his throne. Pharazôn had never felt very comfortable when the sea-grey eyes of Tar Palantir looked at him, though he was not sure how or when this fear had originated. Perhaps his father’s tales about how his brother could see the deepest thoughts of men had unnerved him, especially after he began bedding his daughter in secret.

 

Now, he suddenly found, he could not care less about that, either. And so, he held his glance, and nodded.

 

“And I am here to answer them.”

 

To his surprise, the first man to rise was the High Priest of Melkor.

 

“Before we begin” Yehimelkor spoke, his voice as loud and resonating as ever,” I wish it to be registered in the Book of Sessions that it is impious towards the gods to hold a Council meeting while several of our members are still bound by the laws of mourning. My objections, as it often happens, were overruled, but I will have no part in this.” Crossing his arms, his jaw set, he glared left and right until the murmurations died out.

 

“I am grateful, Your Holiness”, Pharazôn replied, earnestly. The man could be exasperating, but at least he had principles.

 

“It has been noted”, the King replied, with a touch of impatience. “Now, as for the matter at hand, we have received notice of alarming events which have taken place in the mainland. According to the latest dispatches, the city of Gadir has been largely destroyed in a popular revolt, and at least half of its inhabitants are dead. This took place in your absence, while Commander Balbazer was left in charge of the garrison in the island. Is this true?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Who decided to let the city council members stay in the island?”

 

“I did.”

 

“Why?”

 

Pharazôn did not blink.

 

“Because I was trying to reach a peaceful solution.”

 

Lord Zakarbal snorted.

 

“Peaceful? After they were defeated in a naval battle?”

 

They were defeated. Pharazôn shook his head in disgust at the choice of words.

 

“You do not have to remind me of my victories, Lord Zakarbal. Though they are many, I remember all of them. Yes, I defeated them, and precisely because of that, I was expecting them, as noble Númenóreans, to yield peacefully and not bring further harm to their fellow citizens.”

 

Now, the same faces who had looked at him in curiosity were looking at him in what almost seemed like approval. He wondered how long it would last.

 

“Was your judgement influenced by your… kinship ties?”

 

Prince Vorondil seemed to have caught himself in mid-sentence and quickly changed course, but it could have been mere affectation. Pharazôn found himself judging him very unkindly. He looked like one of those well-dressed fools who crowded the Royal Court, trying to impress others with their easy arrogance. Especially the ladies, no doubt.

 

“If you wished to mention my mother, you could have done so. After all, this is a matter of State”, he spat. “Now, my lords, I would like to know if we are discussing my possible lapses in judgement, or if any of you still believes me a traitor after everything I have done to prove that I am not.”

 

“Nobody has accused you of treason here”, the King intervened. “And we are all deeply grieved by the untimely death of the Princess of the South.”

 

Was he trying to goad him?

 

“I appreciate your condolences, my lord King” he said, in his coldest voice.

 

The new governor of Sor spoke next.

 

“When these events unfolded, you were absent. Would you say that the man you left in charge, Commander Balbazer, had a responsibility in what happened?”

 

“No.” Though he could vaguely recognize this as an attempt to help him, he would never stoop so low as to blame his men. “He followed orders while he could, and when he was forced to act on his own, his actions were blameless. He informed me at once, prevented his men from engaging, so as to not kill Númenórean citizens, and after the fires spread, he sought to recover control of the city and save what he could of it.”

 

“But he could have discovered the plot before it unfolded, couldn’t he?”

 

“Why don’t you ask him, my lord?”

 

“It is useless to discuss the actions of a man who is not here, lord governor”, Amandil intervened. For the first time since he had entered the room, Pharazôn swallowed. “May I ask what happened with the hostages after this debacle?”

 

“Most of them weren’t there anymore. Back when the city council was in a cooperative mood, I managed to retrieve all of them and sent them back to their territories -except for the son of Prince Noxaris, of course, who is safe in Númenor.”

 

“Are you sure this was wise, my lord prince? They were the only hold we had on the tribes of the Bay.”

 

“Lord Amandil, if I may remind you, your own situation was different from mine.” It was almost unreal, to be discussing battle strategies in a Númenórean palace chamber with him. His own polite tone rung false in his ears. “You needed those hostages to protect your expedition, but I was going to wage an all-out war, and I needed all the allies I could get.”

 

For a moment, he almost thought that the man who had been his friend would keep arguing the point out of stubbornness. But that had been a different attitude, which had belonged to a different time. The Lord Amandil of Andúnië merely nodded.

 

“I appreciate the insight.”

 

“What about what happened in Arne, after the city fell?” That fool Vorondil again. “I heard that King Xaron of Arne was beheaded without a trial. Did you give that order?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Was it because he had insulted… you?”

 

Pharazôn would have loved to smash his pretty face against the wall. He was definitely trying to goad him, and this second almost-mention to his mother in one of his sentences all but proved it.

 

“No. It was because he was a proven traitor.”

 

At this point, the King saw fit to change the course of the conversation.

 

“You took great risks in your campaign, such as setting your camps where the enemy would be able to surround them, even without knowing how many they would be.”

 

“I was following a strategy, my lord King.”

 

“Is it true that their numbers doubled yours?” the High Chamberlain spoke, with a tone that was infinitely more sympathetic than any of his previous interlocutors. Pharazôn nodded.

 

“I have read reports stating that you fought a general from Mordor who was not human”, the Palace Priest intervened. Lord Shemer of Hyarnustar laughed disdainfully.

 

“Superstitions!”

 

“It is true”, Phârazon said. “It was a creature made of darkness. Its eyes glowed red under its helmet, but underneath it there was nothing. It inspired fear in anyone who approached it, and it could not be touched by any weapon.”

 

“And it rode a dragon, I suppose!” Prince Vorondil laughed. Pharazôn’s eyes narrowed dangerously.

 

“I refuse to trade words with a courtier whose only knowledge of Middle-Earth and its wars comes from his imagination.” Vorondil’s features creased in anger. “I recommend that you stick to your duties, Prince Vorondil, such as giving an heir to the royal family.”

 

Vorondil and his father rose to their feet almost in unison.

 

“How dare you…?”

 

“That is quite enough!” The King stood up. “This is unbelievable, that the greatest lords of the realm should quarrel like barbarians in the Council Chamber! A colony of Númenor has been destroyed, my lords! Let us return to the matter at hand!”

 

But Pharazôn had had enough.

 

“No, my lord King. I will not return to the matter at hand.” He looked all around him; everybody was silent now, staring at him. “I am but a warrior, and I do not presume to know the motives why a colony of Númenor would start a hostile alliance against the Sceptre. I only know that I was sent to fight a rebellion, and I did so. Though some of you suspected me, and both my father and mother were confined unjustly, I defeated the armies of Gadir, of Arne, and of Mordor, and I fought the general sent by Sauron. I will not be interrogated about how I conducted this war by people who have never set a foot outside the Island or faced the perils and the choices that I had to face. If you wish to blame me, do so. If you wish to exile me, I will leave. But if a threat ever rises again in this kingdom, my lords of the Council, take your swords, and your armour, and lead your men into battle yourselves!”

 

That the silence in the room lasted longer than his words was a testament to how deeply he had managed to shock them. When it ended, as he had expected, the chorus of outraged voices rose like a charge of the Haradric cavalry.

 

“How dare he..!”

 

“… never, ever, such insolence…!”

 

“In this chamber!”

 

“This cannot be tolerated!”

 

The yells, however, were mostly confined to one side of the chamber. Most of the courtiers, he observed, were looking at him in a way that he had seen before, though not in the Council, but among his own men in the mainland.

 

It was a look of respect. Of admiration.

 

The governor of Sor, too, seemed impressed, and so was the priest of the Cave, and the representative of Umbar. Between them, his father was gazing at him, thunderstruck, and even Elendil, who was not avoiding his glance like Amandil did, seemed unable to take his eyes off him.

 

Turning his back to them and leaving the room gave him the same thrill as when he had allowed the enemy to surround him in order to be able to further his strategy. It was like taking a gamble, of those that could end in victory, or death.

 

Pharazôn took it.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The South Wing of the palace had never loomed so large, not even when, as a child, he used to sit on the floor to gaze at the ceiling vaults, believing that they were as high as the sky. For many years, his life had shrunk to the size of a camp, where men came and went without barely any ceremony. Even before that, when he still lived in the Island, these corridors and gardens used to be full of ladies, always gravitating around the imposing presence of the Princess of the South. Now, they were all gone, and this empty greatness felt more alien to him than any Haradric mountain village.

 

The echo of footsteps reached his ears, and reverberated across the hall for a long time before he could catch a glimpse of the people who approached. Not a good place for ambushes, Merimne would have remarked.

 

It was the Prince himself, accompanied by his Council attendant and another courtier. Pharazôn did not recognize either of them, as he did not recognize many others, and it had been years since he had stopped pretending that he did.

 

“Leave”, Gimilkhâd said. They bowed out almost in unison, and Pharazôn took a sharp intake of breath.

 

“Father, look, I apologize for what happened, but…” His voice trailed away, wondering how he should finish the sentence. But they angered me? But they are a bunch of fools? That sounded too childish, and the truth would sound even worse.

 

I blame them for what happened, and I will allow them to rule me no longer.

 

Gimilkhâd waved off his words impatiently.

 

“Forget it! You were impressive before the Council. There was no trace of fear in your voice or in your words. You said things as they were, and you said them to their faces. You were not even afraid of the King!”

 

For a moment, there was little that Pharazôn could do but stare. This was so different from what he had expected, so different indeed from the Gimilkhâd he was familiar with from countless other arguments since he was a boy, that the feelings of strangeness he had been pondering before his arrival grew even stronger.

 

“I doubt I will be allowed to remain here after this.” As I know you always wanted, though I never paid much heed to your wishes. “I will be lucky if they respect the last two weeks of the mourning period before shipping me off from the Island.”

 

“Oh, they will.” Gimilkhâd’s features were lighted by a manic smile. “Of course they will. Don’t you see? Your enemies are in the minority. The same Council who was calling for our blood only a year ago supports you now.”

 

“But the Council does not rule in Númenor. You know that, Father, being a councilman yourself.”

 

“This is not a matter of ruling or not ruling. The King is already perceived as having treated you unfairly, and he cannot afford to treat you unfairly again. After all you did in the mainland, you are a hero!”

 

A hero? Pharazôn wanted to laugh. The deserter of his bloodline, who had fled to the mainland and relinquished his birthright? Had Gimilkhâd been suddenly possessed by his mother’s spirit, or what?

 

This thought sobered his mood almost at once. That very morning, as he stood in the Council chamber, he had been shocked by his father’s appearance. The spitting image of his own father, Gimilzôr, the Prince of the South had always been very preoccupied with how others saw him, especially when it came to his hair. In all his life, he had never, ever forgotten to do his hair in the most fastidious manner before he appeared in public. This included combing it, curling it, dyeing it even, until not a single white hair could be detected by the shrewdest observer. But that day, when he appeared before all his peers from the highest advisory body of the realm, he had not merely dressed in a way befitting mourning, or remained unshaven, but his hair, his prized hair, was undone. Looking closely at it now, Pharazôn could see that the white hairs were many, perhaps too many for his age, considering his lineage.

 

What had Melkyelid taken from him, when she left? Pharazôn had been too busy with his own grief to think of this until now, but now the question loomed as large in his mind as the vaults of the Palace of Armenelos.

 

“Father, I…” He wondered how best to put this. “If I am a hero, it is because of the mainland. It is there, where my battles are fought. If I had stayed here, I would never have amounted to much.” Like you, the unkind thought came to his mind. “That is why I have to return, even assuming that they do not arrest me and throw me in the hold of the first ship to depart from Sor.”

 

To his surprise, the Prince smiled.

 

“I know that now. She always knew, your mother, and she was right all along. You had a destiny that I could not understand or fathom, as I was buried deep in Court intrigue, and my mind too bound to this Palace to be able to see beyond its walls.”

 

Pharazôn wished he could say that he had spent all his life waiting to hear those words from his father. To be honest, however, he had never cared much for what Gimilkhâd thought of him. Or for Gimilkhâd himself, the unkind voice whispered in his head again.

 

Now, for the first time in a life of easy indifference towards his father’s censure, he felt a stirring of emotion underneath it. But it had nothing to do with the need for approval, or the urge to prove himself to him, or anything of that sort; it was an odd protective concern, which had grown inside him just from the sight of his hair.

 

“I will visit as often as I can”, he said, belatedly realizing that it was a complete non sequitur. “But while I am in the mainland, I need to have someone here to defend my actions. Someone strong, who sits in the Council and holds influence at Court.” Pull yourself together, damn you. “Will you do it?”

 

The Prince of the South nodded in silence, staring at the floor. For a while, he seemed at the verge of tears, but thankfully that moment passed.

 

You would know what to do, Pharazôn thought, almost angrily. You always knew what to do. But she was gone now, and the only person his father had left to hold on to was him. And he was leaving.

 

What would she have done?

 

Suddenly, he knew. It was such an abrupt burst of inspiration that, deep inside, he was certain that it must have come from her.

 

“I need you to help me, Father. Listen to me. Do you remember how Mother used to say that I would be King one day? This is only the beginning, for I intend to follow the path of her prophecies, and claim the Sceptre after the death of Tar Palantir.”

 

Gimilkhâd looked up again. His glance was filled with awe and pride.

 

“Do you mean… that you will not flee your birthright any longer? That you will follow the wishes of the late King?”

 

Pharazôn nodded. He was vaguely aware that he should be scared out of his wits, but at this moment, all that mattered was that his father believed him. Later, he would have time to sit down and try to convince himself. It was what a good commander did - or a bullshitting commander, which often amounted to the same thing, after all.

 

King of Men.

 

“Yes, Father. I will”, he promised.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

It was the new moon, and the night was so dark that he could not see his own feet as he crossed the garden in the direction of her bedchamber. Still, he remembered the way so well from their many encounters in the past, that he believed he would have been able to walk it under a blindfold.

 

Back then, she had been waiting for him, which meant that she would have found a pretext the previous evening to order her room empty from nurses and ladies. Perhaps there were no nurses or ladies around her anymore, but someone else could be there, someone who entered her bed as her husband. Pharazôn did not know why he did not fear this, if it was because he secretly, recklessly sought for an opportunity to kill Vorondil, or because deep inside, in his heart of hearts, he believed that she was still expecting him.

 

The room was darker than the garden outside, and, though he could not see it, he knew her gaze was even darker still. As he stepped inside the threshold, and closed the door, he heard a faint rustle of silk sheets that told him she had sat on the bed.

 

“You!” she hissed. “What are you doing here? I thought you already gone. I heard that this morning you insulted the Council, in an attempt to continue deluding yourself into believing that you are in exile, instead of running away.”

 

“I am not running away, Zimraphel.”

 

He walked, slowly finding his way around through the sound of her voice – a voice so full of hatred that anyone in his right mind would have walked away from it.

 

“My name is Míriel now. Princess Míriel, to you. And I am also a married woman.” They were inches away from each other now, so close that he could hear the sound of her breath. “If you touch me, you will not be exiled any longer, you will be dead.”

 

“Will I?”

 

She tried to fight, but good as she was at scaring people from afar, at close quarters she was no match for him. All she could rely on was her agility, which surprised him enough as to land one knee to the side of his stomach and a blow to his face that might have drawn some blood. He groaned, but did not let go, holding her while he took both their clothes off and entered her.

 

His mind reeled, spiralling out of control for a powerful moment where the whole world seemed to be crashing down on them. Years ago, they had done this in this very bed, but it had not been like this; it had been but a pale reflection of the intensity of feeling he was experiencing now. Love and death, he mused, joined into one.

 

“I hate you” she hissed in his ear.

 

“No, you don’t”, he hissed back. “You are a liar, Zimraphel. You could have cried out any time you wanted, and then I would be dead, but you did not. Who would have thought? I am not the only one who deludes himself, am I?”

 

Maybe because his eyes had become accustomed to the darkness, maybe because he could picture her features in his mind as accurately as if she was standing under the light of a thousand candles, it seemed to him that he could see her face now, her eyes alight with the kind of loathing which he had hungered for, during all those years that now seemed empty as he tried to remember them.

 

“You left me! I told you that I loved you, I gave my heart to you, and you left me! You sailed away, and abandoned me here.”

 

“Was that why you married that fool?”

 

“I am the Princess of the West! I cannot remain unmarried like you! Would you rather I had married Elendil?” she spat, furiously. He embraced her.

 

“You are right.”

 

“And now, you are leaving again! I cannot rely on you, because you always leave!”

 

“Do you still wish to be rid of him?” He kissed her, again and again, as if she was a cup of strong wine that he could not put down.

 

“Yes. Yes.”

 

“But then, we will have to wait. For the King to be older. For my fame to be wider. For the people to want me as your husband” he explained. “I will never achieve that by merely staying here and fooling around in secret, and it is unfair of you to ask that of me.”

 

“Did Sauron’s fell spirit tell you that it was your destiny to defeat the might of Mordor?”

 

For a moment, he had to stop, shocked in spite of himself at her words.

 

“How do you know that?”

 

“I know many things”, she replied sternly. “You should never forget it.”

 

Indeed, how had he been able to forget about her gift? His mind teemed with the many questions that he suddenly wanted to ask her, about the spectre and his prophecies, about Mordor, about the future.

 

As he was about to open his mouth to ask them, however, she threw herself at him, and silenced him with a kiss. His shock at this suddenly forward behaviour eclipsing his reaction to her previous words, he kissed her back, and felt the fire in his chest kindle anew until all his thoughts were burned away.

 

Only much later, when he was back in his own chambers with a cup of wine in his hands, he could not help but wonder how much she actually knew.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Palantir frowned, re-reading the letter he had just finished writing. He was still not satisfied with the wording he had used, as he needed it to be as precise as possible, without any vagueness or ambiguity that could foster misunderstandings. This was a matter of great import for both Númenor and Middle-Earth, of that he was certain –  and yet, he still needed to know to what extent. Númendil would know, with his access to the immortal knowledge of the Elves, who had memories of every creature, good or evil, which had walked the earth since long before Men even existed.

 

A creature made of darkness. Its eyes glowed red under its helmet, but underneath it there was nothing. It inspired fear in anyone who approached it, and it could not be touched by any weapon.

 

Those had been the words that Pharazôn had used in the Council Chamber. Later, other reports had led him to reconstruct the scene in which his nephew, showing an astonishing degree of reckless overconfidence which, he had to admit, had not been entirely unwarranted, had weakened the spectre and forced it to abandon the battlefield. After having its mount killed by an arrow -that, at least, had been mortal -, Pharazôn somehow managed to get within fighting distance of it without suffering lasting damage, though he had experienced successive bouts of fear, illness, and paralyzing cold. He claimed to have discovered that the armour was not defending it, but holding it to its mortal shape, and proceeded to attack it. The most surprising thing was that it had worked, and the sorcery that allowed the creature to be harmful to mortals had been undone by his sword. How such an idea could have occurred to him at that moment, Palantir did not know, and until now he had never considered his brother’s son to be either knowledgeable in the ways of the supernatural or one of the world’s greatest thinkers. But it seemed that in this, just as in many other things, he might have been wrong.

 

Carefully, he put the letter away to dry, feeling the overpowering need to close his eyes. His fingers began tracing a pattern over his forehead, and he let go of a long, deep breath. Right now, he had to admit, he almost felt like one of the creatures that he was investigating: the light of the candles hurt him, he could barely feel his limbs, and his thoughts were dark.

 

For Zakarbal, Vorondil and the others, this campaign had been a crushing victory for their faction. The Merchant Princes of Gadir were no longer in the council, their might by sea and by land had been shattered, and it seemed unlikely that they would ever regain their former influence after the disaster that befell their city. The way was open for Pelargir to be rebuilt, and for the Bay of Belfalas to fall under the sway of the Sceptre yet again. Arne had been pacified, its new king was being raised in Númenor, and Mordor would be unlikely to pose much trouble in a long while. Closer to him, his sister-in-law had died, and she had always been the driving force behind his brother’s opposition to him. Of course, there had been all kinds of rumours spread by his enemies, either suspecting foul play, or downright stating that she had died of a broken heart after her city fell, but those were all malicious lies. First, because she had no way of knowing what had happened in Gadir when she had that stroke, and second, because she did not have the ability to let herself die. That ability, as Palantir himself had learned in the most painful of ways, was only present in the line of Elros Tar Minyatur.

 

So yes, he had won. And yes, his conscience was clean, before the Creator and before men. He had only declared war after there was the proof of a large-scale rebellion, and everything that happened afterwards were accidents of that war, provoked by decisions that others had made at their own cost and peril. But still, this triumph rang hollow to him, as he considered both its cost and its consequences.

 

Back when he was a young man, he had an intellectual awareness of the fact that change would mean struggle. Later, he had learned that lives would be risked, and lost, in this struggle, but only the lives of those who willingly sacrificed themselves for their cause. That war and large-scale devastation, targeting both guilty and innocent, willing and unwilling, would be the outcome of his policies was something that he would never have accepted back then, and felt the need to turn away from to preserve the purity of his intentions. But he was no longer a young man, and as King of Númenor he had needed to look at the naked face of power, and see death behind it. He knew that some people, Amandil among them, resented the role that he had played and mistook his resignation for the hypocrisy of the schemer, for they had no access to his thoughts. Therein lay the greatest danger of all, one he was especially vulnerable to: to be isolated even in victory, feared and hated by friends and foes alike who could not understand or follow the thread of his actions.

 

And then, there was Pharazôn. That day, in the Council chamber, he had come to the momentary realization that there was his perfect opposite, a man who could not be isolated either in victory or defeat, who was liked and respected by friends and foes -Amandil remained, even now, his friend-, and who was able to take actions, for the good or the bad, that everybody could understand and follow. Who wouldn’t have let their calculations fail them, when entrusted with the fate of the city of their kin? Who wouldn’t have lost their temper when insulted by a traitor defeated in battle? Who wouldn’t have felt tempted to snap at the Council when mourning for one’s mother?

 

It had seemed a good idea at the time, to have him lead the troops of Umbar: first, because he had been in that post for many years and was considered a capable commander, and, second, because it was a great chance to cut off the base of his support, the same that sought to make him King instead of Palantir’s own daughter and heir. But instead of that, he had managed to come out of it as the hero who destroyed Arne and Mordor almost singlehandedly, while sympathies had not turned away from him for what was perceived as an unfortunate accident. Now, because of this war, he had not only remained a threat; he had become a larger one than ever before, and what remained to be seen was merely whether he had the cunning and scheming ability needed to profit from the situation. Up until the present, Palantir would have answered in the negative: Pharazôn was an air-headed young man with no ambition in life except to feast and drink immoderately and gain renown in the mainland. But he was not so ready to underestimate him now.

 

“How did he become your friend?” he remembered asking Amandil once, genuinely curious. “You knew who he was, and he knew who you were, but instead of hatred for each other, you built a friendship and held to it. How did this happen?”

 

“Because of all the boys I have known, none was ever as full of himself as Pharazôn”, Amandil had answered. And then, as Palantir registered his astonishment, he added, “Only someone like this could be so generous to a boy like me. He did not care about whether it was appropriate, or whether the adults would object, or whether I could bring harm to him, and it certainly never crossed his mind that I could possibly hate him. He wanted me as his friend, and that was all that mattered, his own judgement.”

 

“You mean to say, that he was impulsive, rebellious, and too proud to listen to others, and that he could have made a mistake by trusting you.”

 

“Yes.” To his further surprise, Amandil smiled. “Something like that, my lord King.”

 

He had thought no more of it back then, but now this conversation had become fixed in his mind, and he could not dislodge it. Perhaps, he thought, it was because that situation was strangely similar to what they were facing now, as, once again, Pharazôn seemed to have blundered his way to success. Before, he had gained the devotion of only one man, though one who seemed predestined to be his enemy, while now, at a much larger scale, he had gained the respect of many. If this was the effect of his irrational impulses, then those impulses should be feared above the coldest and most rational of calculations.

 

In all his life, Palantir realized with a sudden jolt of dread, he had never faced an enemy such as this.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Amandil breathed deeply, trying to put his thoughts in order. He had only been so reckless in this Palace once before, the day he ran after the King on the fateful Council session when war was declared in the Bay. Now, as he pushed past guards, servants and courtiers in his way to his objective, he had to wonder if he was turning recklessness into a habit, and whether it would bode ill for him on the long run.

 

“He… he is in here, my lord, but…”

 

Ignoring the apprehensive courtier who trailed behind his footsteps, Amandil pushed the ivory door himself, and stepped inside. Pharazôn was sitting before a table, where a half-empty glass of wine was lying a little too close to the edge. As soon as he saw him, his eyes widened in shock.

 

Amandil?” he exclaimed, a little too slowly, perhaps, but with no less genuine incredulity.

 

“Yes, Amandil”, he said, standing at the other end of the table and looking down at him with what he expected was an effective glare of disapproval. “I heard you were leaving tomorrow for Sor. I did not want to believe it, even when all my messages came back unanswered, but it seems it was true: you were actually planning on leaving Númenor without meeting with me even once.”

 

Pharazôn let the palm of his hand hover over his eyes, and shook his head ruefully.

 

“No” he said, as if talking to himself. “I am not that drunk. You are here. In the South Wing of the Palace.”

 

“And why shouldn’t I be?” Because you shouldn’t and you know it and everybody knows it, you fool, Amandil answered his own question in his mind. But before he had taken the drastic decision of coming here, he thought, he had vowed to himself to leave that Amandil behind. “If you do not meet with me, I will have to come to you.”

 

“Aren’t you afraid of the entire Court learning about this? You are the lord of Andúnië, and the leader of those fools who call themselves the Faithful because they worship strange beings who are not gods.”

 

Amandil ignored everything but the direct question.

 

“No, I am not afraid. You always accused me of being afraid of being seen with you, so I am proving to you that I am not.”

 

“Congratulations.” Pharazôn downed the rest of the wine. “Will you have a seat? I am tired of looking up at you.”

 

Amandil sought across the room until he discovered the wine jar on an ebony table, closer to the door. Picking it up, he served himself a glass, and sat down before Pharazôn.

 

“What about me?”

 

“You already had too much” he said firmly. “And you won’t escape this conversation by getting piss drunk on me.”

 

“Are you angry? I cannot think of anything I have done to you, but I have done so many things to people recently that you cannot blame me for losing count.”

 

“You have been ignoring me.”

 

Pharazôn shrugged.

 

“My mother just died.”

 

“And I wanted to tell you how sorry I am for that.”

 

“Why? Did you kill her?” The Prince of the South’s son smiled bitterly. “Well, if you felt that way you could have refused to interrogate me in the Council, like your former Revered Father did.”

 

“Is that why you are angry?”

 

“Of course not! I faced the armies of Mordor in battle, I can handle a few morons trying to be mean to me.”

 

“Or is it because I started this? Because I interfered in the Bay and this was what led to the war?”

 

“You gave me a good opportunity to shine. I believe your friends are regretting it now.”

 

“Do not call them my friends.”

 

“Are they not?”

 

“They are my allies. You are my friend.” For a long time, he held Pharazôn’s glance with all the intensity he could muster. He could see him fumble to say something, probably another witty retort, but it did not come. “When I heard about the destruction of Gadir and the death of your mother, I was beside myself with worry.”

 

“Thank you.” This time, there was no irony in Pharazôn’s tone, at least. However, when he spoke again, there was something else in his voice, something disquieting that Amandil could not quite lay a finger upon. “Yes, very well, I admit it. I was ignoring you. But do not bear me a grudge, for there was no ill will in it. I merely do not see how it could ever work.”

 

There was no need to ask what “it” was.

 

“I am who I am, and you are who you are. The times when we could pretend not to notice are behind us. Call them your allies, your friends, or whatever you will, you have obligations towards them, as well as towards your family and your people. And I do, too.”

 

“Does this mean” Amandil tried to choose his words carefully, but anger was a very poor filter”, that now it is you, who is afraid to be seen with me?”

 

“I am not afraid, you idiot! But I cannot see how I can manage this, how can you?”

 

Pharazôn looked genuinely baffled as he asked that question, and Amandil felt a pang in his chest.

 

“You have changed.” It was neither a question, nor a reproach, but perhaps it held a bit of both. “It was always the other way around, don’t you remember? Since the day I was taken from my parents, I lived in fear of my own shadow, and you were always there, full of outrageous confidence, telling me that nothing was impossible. Back then, I would never have been able to imagine that you would change so much merely because things were not going your way!”

 

Now, he had finally succeeded in provoking him as well.

 

“Things are not going my way? Oh, aren’t they? Last I knew, I had just won a war!”

 

Amandil forced himself to drink a long swallow.

 

“You did, I…I admit I would not have been able to do what you did there. And I probably would have failed in Gadir as well. They deceived me from the start, and I didn’t even have the excuse of being their kinsman. Damn it, I did more stupid things in my time in Pelargir alone than you did in your entire campaign.” He shook his head. “But that is not what I mean.”

 

“No, you are trying to imply that I have become what you were back then. That now, it is me who is worrying about every little thing that can bring trouble to my precarious position.” Pharazôn snorted again. “That is why I walked out of the Council chamber, and that was why I was being interrogated in the first place, wasn´t it? Because I am so careful!”

 

“Then, are you trying to imply that it is fine to be careless, except when it comes to our friendship? Is that what you mean?”

 

All of a sudden, Pharazôn seemed to have lost his argumentative demeanour. As if he had just remembered all the wine he had been drinking, he fell into a renewed bout of stupor.

 

“It is not… I mean…curse it, I do not even know what I mean anymore! I just thought it would be a good moment to merely… stop acknowledging each other, that is all. That it would be simpler that way. And I also admit that I thought you would not mind so much.”

 

Amandil had never wanted so much to remain angry.

 

“But I do.”

 

“Well, then. Why don’t you give me some wine, and see if you can make me drunk enough to apologize to you?

 

“You have to travel tomorrow.”

 

“I do not care.”

 

With a sigh, Amandil stood up again, and filled both cups; Pharazôn’s much less than his own.

 

“I saw that.”

 

Amandil ignored him.

 

“It is not that I do not understand what you are trying to say. About it being simpler that way” he said, after a moment of thought. “No concerns, no expectations, and no disappointments. I will confess to something: back when I was in Pelargir with many wounded men and a single eyewitness of the Gadirites’s treason, I was pondering whether I should try my chances in Umbar. With the fate of my men and the entire Bay depending on me, I almost didn’t do it, only because I did not want to be disappointed.”

 

Pharazôn greeted this confession with a very long silence.

 

“Well”, he said at last. “It seems that your father’s allies managed to spare you the disappointment. That was very kind of them.”

 

“But I still made my mind. I was going to go, anyway, when they arrived.”

 

“Then, I do not know whether I should thank you for your trust, or call you a bastard for being about to put me through that situation.”

 

Amandil shrugged. He was out of practice; the wine was starting to become a crushing weight in his limbs.

 

“As you said, it is not very simple.”

 

“No.” Pharazôn drained his cup in one swallow. “And in the future, it will be less and less simple.”

 

“Oh, are you in possession of foresight now?” It had been a shameless attempt to defuse the tension, because Amandil had felt a chill in his stomach in spite of the heat of the room. Pharazôn shook his head, but did not see fit to answer.

 

What could foresight avail them now, anyway? Amandil thought, rebelliously. The truth was that, when everything was said and done, mortal men only had the ability to put their heart and their soul in the situation that was before them at each moment. And at this moment, this was all that existed. For all that he knew, the future was a lie, made of fears, misapprehensions, and tatters of dark dreams that kings and priests insisted came from a higher instance, through the will of the divinity or the Elven blood in their veins.

 

To chase those shadows, as Tar Palantir tried to do, instead of what his heart told him was true here and now, was madness. And what his heart told him now was that the only real friendship he had ever had in this life was worth fighting for.

 

“As soon as you can stand up, we can take a stroll to clear our heads. My house is not far from here, and I believe my family will be happy to greet you. Unless you have lost your battle against the wine already, that is. Or unless you are afraid of being seen with me.”

 

“Damn you, Amandil.”

 

Now, he thought, he could only hope that this logic would prevail with Pharazôn as well.

The Dead

Read The Dead

Autumn was ebbing away, and a grey mantle veiled the skies of Armenelos, allowing but a fraction of the sunlight to trickle across; a dull radiance which bathed people’s faces in a phantasmagorical glow. Walking under this light, one could almost understand why their ancestors had believed they could see the dead walk among them at this time of the year, and started celebrating festivities in their honour, back when Númenor was a much younger and simpler place. Now, of course, ghosts had been confined to legends and stories for children, and every adult, educated Númenórean knew that souls did not roam the land after they had abandoned their bodies, but followed the Great God to receive life eternal -or everlasting darkness.

Still, Pharazôn thought, this knowledge did not prevent them from making offerings of wine, milk, or blood to the earth that contained their bodies, as if those could feel thirst or hunger, or needed reinvigoration. It also didn’t prevent the royal family of Númenor from trusting their dead to the care of the embalmers, who gave them the appearance of living people, and hid them in caves where they would remain like the most precious heirlooms of their house. Once a year, during this festival, he was allowed back in the Island, and he and his father would travel the dark paths together, guided by the Guardian of the Mountain, to visit the shell that the Princess Melkyelid had once inhabited. They offered her food and drink and spoke to her, but she did not partake of it, nor talked back to them. The woman who always had an answer for everything lay silent in her robes of red and golden splendour, calmly fixing them with a vacant glance where no spark of recognition had lurked for a long time. This unnerved Pharazôn, more than anything in this world. If he could have his way, he would have burned her, like the barbarians in Harad did to their dead, scattering their ashes to the wind not only to free them from the tyranny of the living, but also, perhaps more importantly, to be freed from them. Their lives were too short to waste by clinging to ghosts, as Merimne had put it once with her usual, brutal honesty.

Gimilkhâd, however, felt very differently. He had never gone back to the man he had been before her death, but seeing her every year seemed to give him some semblance of renewed life. For this feast, he always dressed as vainly as he did in the past, and as they came out of the Meneltarma he discussed politics with a heated voice, and if he sometimes mentioned her opinion, as if she had recently spoken to him, Pharazôn had grown used to nod along.

“…and now we are the only members of the royal house who attend the temple ceremony. Isn’t that shameful? Last Spring, in the festival of the King, when the High Priest mentioned our current King in his speech, you could see the discontent in everyone’s eyes. How could you celebrate the Eternal King, without the earthly King being present? First the crisis and the hunger, then the war, now the weather and the rumours of Elves being seen in the Island… they say that we are falling under a curse because of the King’s impiety. There are even whispers “His voice carefully lowered, he leaned closer to his son, “that his line is barren as a result of this curse.”

Pharazôn swallowed, trying to school his features into a neutral expression. He was aware of the Princess of the West’s lack of issue, and curses on the King had nothing to do with it. He could not say he was sorry for either Tar Palantir or Vorondil, though something in all this business still bothered him. Year after year, he and the Princess had met in a variety of places and situations, where they had fiercely rekindled their past relationship. One especially memorable night, he remembered, two years ago, they had met in a brothel, where she had pretended to be a prostitute.

Months later, there had been rumours of a child who died in her womb before it came to term. He had asked her about it, but she insisted that it had been no more than malicious gossip, spread by the faction who wished to undermine her father. And he had believed her, so there was no reason to ask whether this hypothetical child who had never existed had been his or Vorondil’s.

Xara and Noxaris had been cousins, he remembered. Xaron and Valentia had been siblings, by all’s sake, and so had been their parents, and they had all grown to adulthood. Long ago, he remembered, his mother had used their grandsire as an example of why cousin marriage between Men should not be considered incestuous. But no matter who the spouses were, cousins or siblings, at least it had been marriage. What he and Zimraphel did was adultery, one of the greatest sins against the Goddess, and one that he was not even sure his mother, with all her prophecies, could safely have condoned. If there was a curse, perhaps it was their curse, the one they had freely invoked upon themselves.

If there was a curse, he remembered, forcing these morbid thoughts away from his mind. But there had been no child, so all those thoughts were but idle speculations.

As if from a distance, he heard his name being called by people who passed them in their way to the Temple, greeting him, welcoming him to the Island, congratulating him on his campaigns. He stood next to his father, smiling and waving to strangers, and greeting acquaintances by their names and titles. If Tar Palantir was cursed in these people’s eyes, he thought, he had to appear blessed by contrast. He had the youth, the looks, the strength and the fortune, and above all this, the piety which brought him to this temple to kneel before the altar of Melkor and listen in reverence to the High Priest’s words.

He would be whatever they needed him to be, and for this he would have to keep his secrets to himself.

“Let us go inside, Father”, he said, holding Gimilkhâd’s arm.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

High Priest Yehimelkor, however, did not look like a man from whom secrets could be easily withheld. In his thin features, almost emaciated from prolonged periods of fasting, his grey eyes gleamed with an intense light that could make any sinner look away as if in the presence of lightning. High in his altar, speaking to an audience of princes, nobles and peasants who stood in this crowded and suffocating space following his every word in rapt attention, he could have been mistaken for an incarnation of the God himself. It did not matter that he had never touched a sword, or that he had forbidden Amandil from doing so because war and violence were frowned upon by the gods: if he had appeared in front of the soldiers of Umbar as he was now, they would have believed themselves in the presence of an emissary of the Lord of Battles.

How ironic, Pharazôn thought, that it was Tar Palantir himself who had allowed Yehimelkor to become what he was now for all these people. As his father had put it, the King on Earth was the incarnation of the King in Heaven, but his uncle had abdicated this role, believing it to be a blasphemous conceit. Bereaved of an object for their worship, the masses had turned to this priest, whose royal blood ran stronger and truer as years passed by, and whose uncompromising opposition to both Ar Gimilzôr and Tar Palantir was now legendary.

“The King of Heaven, the One King, suffered and died so our souls would not wander aimlessly through the surface of this Earth, or fall in the Everlasting Darkness. In all his power and might, he gave his own life away, so he could guide us to life eternal. This is why, today, we commemorate our dead in the joyous knowledge that they are not lost, that they are not in pain, trying to find their way back to their bodies as the first men used to do, often attacking the living in their confusion. We commemorate our dead in happiness, and in so doing, we honour His sacrifice and renew our alliance with him by imitating His action.” He paused for a moment, his brow creasing with a frown as he pointed at the flaming altar. “For this is the original meaning of this sacrifice, of all the sacrifices performed here and the sacrifices that you perform yourselves, in your homes and hearths. It is a pale reflection of the original sacrifice, the Lord’s sacrifice. When we perform it, we give Him back something of what He gave to us. It is impossible, of course, to ever repay Him in kind, because we are not of the same kind as He is: we are but crawling ants in the ground at his feet, unable to even comprehend His might. And still, what is in our power to do, we must do. If you own cattle, you must give Him your cattle; if you are poor and only have some coins, you must give Him a turtle dove or a rabbit or some small animal you can afford. For this is the pledge of our devotion, that we will freely give what we have. But beware of believing that this is enough, that you can please the god by sacrificing to Him with impure thoughts in your minds, and a black heart hidden in your chests! For any sacrifice is worthless unless you open your minds and hearts to Him.”

It was significant that he would dedicate his speech to sacrifices, Pharazôn thought. As everybody in Armenelos knew, and he had read in his father’s letters, the King was against this custom. He had not merely refused to attend any sacrifices for most of his reign; he had even attempted to curb the practice in various ways, the most unpopular of all being the drastic cut in revenues that he had tried to blame on the mainland crisis. According to him, no god could look favourably upon a human superstition, blindly perpetuated by those who were ignorant of their will. Of course, in Tar Palantir’s real thoughts, neither of the gods the Númenóreans prayed to were gods at all, but creatures of darkness; the only god was Eru, who could not enter the Circles of the World or rejoice in the fumes of the altars. Still, he had preferred to coat his own beliefs in a thick layer of philosophical disdain, prompting the need for a reply in similar terms. The erudite High Priest, as usual, was ready to rise to the occasion.

“…and if you ever feel tempted to believe that you do not owe anything to the Great God, if you hear the insidious whisper of your intellectual pride claiming that you know better, that you can choose your manner and object of worship, that you can invent your own gods and outlandish customs by searching old scrolls which were written in times of darkness and ignorance, remember your dead! Remember them, and who delivered them, and who will deliver you when the time comes for your own souls to part with your bodies and look for guidance!”

Now, that message had been clear enough. And loud. Fascinated, Pharazôn stared at the man who loomed above him, looking for signs of fear or uncertainty after the words he had just spoken, but finding none. He should have expected it, for that priest had defied the late King to save Amandil’s life, back when he hadn’t even been High Priest. From what he had gathered from conversations with his friend, Yehimelkor had not seemed interested in the power struggle: he had only done it because to him, it was the right thing to do. Of course, Pharazôn knew now that everything, even doing the right thing, was part of a power struggle, but that didn’t invalidate the man’s courage.

He would not wish to have Yehimelkor as his enemy.

“He is a brave man, isn’t he?” his father remarked, taking advantage of the commotion which began as the priests dragged the victims towards the altar. “I remember he had the gall to oppose me when that accursed Faithful friend of yours hurt you in the temple grounds.”

“We were just playing.” How could he have forgotten that incident? That was another defiance, then, to add to his list, though Gimilkhâd was not nearly as intimidating as Ar Gimilzôr had been.

The Prince of the South laughed, as if remembering a funny anecdote.

“He was so protective of that ungrateful little bastard! A pity that his dear charge showed his thanks by dishonouring him as soon as he had the opportunity… and now, of course, he has become one of them, as I always knew he would. In this I was right, and not your mother.”

A young calf brayed piteously, wrestled into an immobile position between four priests. Pharazôn watched it absently, and as the blood trickled in spurts, he was reminded of those tribes Amandil had fought once, the ones who sacrificed men to their god. Several Númenórean soldiers had fallen prisoner to them, and after he came back, Amandil had not been able to sleep for weeks, for the incident triggered a series of nightmares where he was the one knifed and burned in the fire of the altar of Armenelos. Apparently, that was what Ar Gimilzôr had planned for him; a mockery of a sacrifice, but not a true sacrifice, as Yehimelkor had no doubt informed the Former King back then. For Amandil had never meant anything to him at all: he was just an enemy, a threat to be silenced and made to disappear, like the Númenóreans had been to those savages. He had not been his to give.

“Let us depart.”

Pharazôn nodded. The scent of smoke and incense was filling his nostrils with such an intensity that it had become impossible to ignore, and he knew well enough the effect that this had on his father. He had never liked the smell, but since the death of the Princess he could not even stand it, and fled it like others fled the sight of blood. Lowering his head in a deep bow at the altar, and muttering a final prayer, Pharazôn stood up, and followed him.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The streets of Armenelos were already bustling with the preparations for the feast. People dangled precariously from stairs to hang garlands from the walls, lamps were set on every balcony, and boys and girls ran here and there piling wood for the bonfires, shouting and yelling in excitement. Pharazôn, who had taken leave from his father at the gateway of the temple, unwrapped an old cloak that he always took with him in his visits to the Island, draped it over his head and shoulders until it obscured his face, and plunged in the middle of the crowd. As usual, nobody recognized him, but he was treated with wary politeness all the same, as everybody took him for a soldier, and was careful not to bump into him. He could hide his face all he wanted, but he could never hide his true identity.

First, he approached the cart of a street vendor, and bought a small turtle dove that flapped its wings inside a cage. With it in his hand, he crossed the empty villa behind the temple, the one where Amandil and he had first met, and where they had still held many of their encounters years afterwards. Back then, it had been vacant but well kept, as the royal family stayed there whenever there was a religious festival; now, it was abandoned and so derelict that the gardens could have been mistaken for a forest of the Middle Havens. As far as he knew, the only people who had set foot there since the first years of the reign of Tar Palantir had been Zimraphel and himself, and that had been only twice, as it was not wise to rely on a single location for their encounters.

As he reached the end of the villa’s large extension, he crossed a small stone portico and stepped into a quiet graveyard, full of mounds of earth and stone. Many of them bore traces of having been visited recently by their kin: flowers which lay beautifully arranged, and fresh stains of various liquids that had been spilled over them. The bulk of the visitors, however, had left already, and he only saw a single man, walking away at a distance. Feeling that he could risk it, Pharazôn took off the cloak, and began his search across the graves.

It was one of the new ones, as it had only been there for ten months, so it was not difficult to find. Breathing deeply, he stopped in front of it, taken by vivid remembrances of the day when, half a world from here, she had knelt before him and begged to be taken to Númenor with her son.

I will follow you to the end of the world, if that is the only sure way to see my son again in this life.

Pharazôn had considered this a very melodramatic request, back then, and he had tried to convince her that her son would only stay in Númenor until his majority. It was only seven years, eight at the most, and it was unlikely that anything would happen to any of them in that short span of time. But she had insisted, claiming that, as one of the Sea People, he could not understand the frailty of life. And perhaps she had been right, because, in the end, she had died in Númenor only a few years later, before her son reached adulthood and returned to Arne.

Could barbarians be possessed of some manner of foresight, too? Or had it been her coming to Númenor what sealed her fate, when she was not meant to die at all? The illness she had caught could have been a Númenórean fever that she was not strong enough to withstand, or the weather of the Island might have disagreed with her constitution. At least she had seen her son, and her son had seen her, which was already more than Pharazôn could claim for himself.

“Princess Xara of Arne, I summon you”, he muttered, opening the cage to grab the turtle dove by the wing. With his other hand, he extricated his dagger from its sheath, and cleanly cut its head off. Then, carefully, he directed the spurt of blood towards the earth in her mound, right under the gravestone, and watched as it trickled away and disappeared, as if drunk by a thirsty spirit.

A thirsty spirit who was not there, according to the High Priest of Melkor. But who could say that he knew for sure where barbarians went after they died? He had conquered and occupied the kingdom of Arne, but in all the time he spent there, he did not remember ever asking which gods they worshipped or the rites that they followed. And in any case, he thought, a tradition was a tradition, a familiar routine to fall back on when the truth of things became too difficult to comprehend.

“What are you doing?” a voice interrupted his thoughts abruptly. Surprised, he looked over his shoulder, and his eyes met the challenging frown of a young man.

“It is none of your business”, he replied, somewhat taken aback by the stranger’s insolence. Interrupting a prayer was rude enough, let alone the prayer of someone who was neither kin nor acquaintance.

But the young man did not back down.

“It is” he said, crossing his arms over his chest. “This is my mother’s grave.”

Oh. They did grow fast. Gazing at him with renewed curiosity, Pharazôn could identify some of Noxaris’s features in him: the nose, certainly, and perhaps also the sharp chin. Or perhaps it was just the arrogance. His eyes, however, belonged to his mother, and belatedly he wondered how he could remember her so well from years ago.

“I came here to visit her grave”, he explained, needlessly, as he still held the limp corpse of the dove in his left fist, and the dagger in his right. The young man’s eyes widened, and his features were creased in an expression of loathing.

“You! How dare you! You are the enemy of my family!”

Ungrateful brat, Pharazôn thought. Just like his father, but raised by Lord Hiram of Sorontil, which had probably made things even worse.

“I would advise you to lower your voice while you stand in the capital of Númenor and claim to hold a grudge against a member of its royal family” he replied coolly. “Or did your foster father neglect to mention that?”

“Leave her alone. You are desecrating her grave.”

“I am not desecrating her grave, I am offering a sacrifice in her honour.”

“That is an evil superstition fostered by the Enemy, to lower man to the rank of beast and lead us astray from the teachings of the Valar.”

“Lord Hiram has taught you well, but those are his beliefs, which most people do not share” Surely your mother did not believe in that shit, either, he thought, but he did not say it aloud. He was not here to be drawn into a theological argument with a boy.

“The King does.”

Pharazôn shook his head. He had grown a healthy amount of respect for Princess Xara, very much in spite of her family, her husband, and her sons. Though all his instincts called for him to punch the brat and go on with his day’s business, he probably owed her at least this.

“Listen. I will leave in a moment, but before that, I have some advice for you.”

The young man scowled.

“I do not want or need your advice.”

Pharazôn ignored him.

“As soon as you set foot in Arne, the first thing you should do is marry your cousin. Even if she is just a whiny child to you, even if you think that the day will never come when you can consummate your marriage, do it. And tell her mother, the former Queen Valentia, that since you have lost your mother to an untimely death, you wish her to be like a mother to you.”

For the first time, the undivided strength of the heir of Arne’s contempt seemed weakened by a flicker of shock. However, it did not take long for it to be back in full force.

“Cousin marriage is incest, and incest is sinful! It is against the teachings of the Valar!”

Forget about the Valar, you fool.  “Your parents married each other. Your grandparents, too.”

“That was because they did not know better.”

Right.

“That was because they were not Númenóreans, they were Arnians, and they thought like Arnians. If you wish to rule Arne and survive the attempt, you need to stop thinking like a Númenórean, and start thinking like an Arnian.” He stood up, sheathed his dagger and carefully unfolded his cloak with care not to stain it with the last droplets of blood oozing from the dead bird. “That is all.”

The footsteps followed him almost until the end of the row of mounds before he heard the young man’s voice again.

“Why are you telling me this?”

Was it his imagination, or was there a touch less of hostility in his voice? Maybe it was because he was not looking at him in the face now; giving him his back had definitely been an improvement.

“Because I believe that your mother would have wanted to tell you herself, if she had been alive”, he said, heading for the stone portico to return to the temple villa. “And because I am the one who will be sent to invade Arne again if you do not manage to keep the peace on your own.”

The Prince Phaleris did not follow him further.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

There was one more visit to make, one that Pharazôn could not forget to include in his schedule if he did not want Hell, in the shape of a very angry Lord of Andúnië, to break loose. He had learned his lesson well that other time, and since then he had not dared to try Amandil’s patience again.

He waited until night had almost fallen over the capital before leaving the Palace with his faithful cloak, a heavy bundle in his arms, and no escort. As always, he hesitated a little before the gates of the Andúnië mansion, wondering if it was better to knock on them with or without his disguise on. Once, a new guard had been standing watch, and he had refused to let him in until he identified himself, causing a ruckus which should have been heard by the entire neighbourhood. Since then, however, Amandil had made sure that some discreet veteran was expecting him on the day that he was scheduled to arrive.

This time, the veteran was there, so he was ushered in fast enough - but Amandil was not.

“I am very sorry, but the Lord was summoned to the Court this afternoon, and I do not know…”

“I do not believe he will be there for very long. Armenelos is celebrating, but the Court is not, so this will merely be a routine family audience”, a familiar voice spoke from the shadows of the corridor. In spite of himself, Pharazôn’s felt his heart leap.

“Elendil! I am so glad to see you!” he cried, rushing forwards to embrace Amandil’s son, who first stiffened in surprise, then responded awkwardly, bending his knees and his back as if trying to make himself small enough to avoid towering over him. Which was, of course, an impossible endeavour if there ever was one. “You have my permission to be taller than me. I do not normally allow it, but I will make an exception.”

The Elendil of years ago would probably have taken this seriously, but the Lady Eluzîni of Hyarnustar seemed to have gone to great lengths to school him in the ways of humour. He smiled.

“I am glad to see you, too, my lord prince. I will show you in, to a place where you can comfortably wait for Father to return.”

“Oh, forget Amandil, I will have time for him later. You can show me in, but you have to stay with me, because I want to talk to you, too.”

If Elendil was surprised at this, he hid it well. His courtesy was unshakeable, very different from the hostility he had radiated back when Pharazôn had visited him in disguise to give him news of his father in Middle-Earth. But back then, he had been the instructor of a rundown school, opened in defiance of the Palace Guards who would not admit him in his ranks, and Pharazôn had been an unknown entity. Though not unknown for long, he thought, remembering how the young man had discovered his identity during their conversation. Since then, he had managed to discover many other things as well, such as the fact that all the money and the providers supposedly sent by his father’s family could be traced back to Pharazôn. He had even succeeded in discovering some of his spies, which was remarkable.

Since he became the scion of a noble house and one of the leaders of the so-called Faithful, however, Pharazôn had barely met him, except in a few, sparsely counted ceremonial occasions. There had been that embarrassing affair, when Tar Palantir decided that Elendil had to become his son-in-law, but Zimraphel had shaken him off, something for which Pharazôn knew that he should be eternally grateful, though he had never told her as much in words. Asides from that, most of what he knew about him came from Amandil’s lips, including the very entertaining story of his courtship and betrothal to the daughter of none other than the Lord of Feasting himself. This lady had wisely been adopted by her uncle, but, as far as Pharazôn had been able to hear, she remained her father’s daughter through and through. He could not imagine a stranger pair than those two, and yet Amandil’s wife apparently held the unshakeable belief that they were the luckiest pair under Heaven.

“I wanted to congratulate you for your incoming marriage to the Lady Eluzîni of Hyarnustar”, he said, as they sat on what he vaguely recognized as Amandil’s study. Elendil blushed a little.

“Thanks. It means much to me.”

“I have known you since you were a child, and I still cannot make sense of it. How did you manage to court a lady like her? You used to take the longest turn back home merely to avoid bumping into the girls of your neighbourhood!”

The younger man was keeping his eyes firmly set on the cup he was serving for his guest. Pharazôn expected him to blush again, probably a deeper hue of red this time, but to his surprise, he spoke instead.

“Since you stopped sending spies, you have missed some interesting developments, my lord prince.”

He had to snort at this.

“Such as the moment when you learned the fine art of courting? Who taught it to you, I wonder? I hope it was not your father, he was always hopeless.”

“The Lady Eluzîni.”

“What?” For a moment, Pharazôn did not understand, believing Elendil’s words to be a non-sequitur.

“The Lady Eluzîni taught me the fine art of courting. But now that I have finally learned it, I find I have no need for it anymore.”

Pharazôn laughed.

“She courted you? Now it makes more sense!”

“Perhaps.” Elendil grew solemn now. Curious, Pharazôn gazed at him, wondering if he had finally succeeded in offending him. His expression, however, was not that of someone who had taken offense, but rather the copy of a look he had seen many times in Amandil’s eyes, whenever he was pondering how best to breach an important subject to his annoying friend who did not seem to be able to take anything seriously.

“What is it?” he asked.

“What?” Elendil was slightly put out. “What is what, my lord prince?”

“What you wanted to tell me just now.”

“Oh.” Amandil would have denied it, just because it hurt his stupid pride that Pharazôn could read him. No, perhaps they were not so similar, after all. “I wanted to ask you to attend my wedding, as a guest.”

“Me?” Pharazôn tried to laugh it off, but the mood had deserted him. He shook his head. Similar or not similar, they were both insane. “I would be most unwelcome at that gathering. Last I heard, a wedding was an occasion to celebrate among friends and family.”

“I would not presume to consider you a friend merely because you are my father’s friend” Elendil said, that solemn expression back in his features with a vengeance. “But I am well aware that, if it had not been for you, my mother and me would not be here now.”

Damn. Not even Amandil was so direct, most of the times. This was almost at Merimne’s level of uncomfortable honesty.

“That was an oath I swore. I was merely fulfilling it.”

“But you swore it freely.”

“Yes”. Pharazôn had a sudden idea. “And I believe it is time to invoke it again. I will not attend your wedding, in order to protect you from yourself and your misplaced sense of honour. If either the King, Prince Vorondil, Lord Shemer or Lord Zakarbal see me there, the repercussions will not be pleasant. Besides, I need to go back to Middle-Earth soon. I am only tolerated here once a year because my mother is lying in a cave under the Meneltarma, but I shouldn’t overstay my welcome. And yes, I know that you will tell me I could use the wedding as a pretext to stay here for a longer period of time, but then we will be back to where we started. The blame will fall on you, and your reputation among your allies will suffer, not to mention your father’s.”

“I see.” There was no anger in Elendil’s look, nor the determination to insist further. Pharazôn could only detect a tiny flicker of disappointment, but the younger man visibly forced himself to banish it and school his features back into a pleasant look. That was another feature to be added to the list of differences between him and his father: apparently, the son could take a ‘no’ for an answer. The mark of civilization, he thought wryly. “I understand your reasons, though I swear to you that I would not have minded in the slightest.”

“And I thank you for it. In fact, I was planning to give you a wedding gift anyway.” Turning his attention towards the bundle he had been carrying from the Palace, Pharazôn started to unwrap it. Elendil’s eyes widened.

“That was not necessary!”, he protested. But as Pharazôn finished unwrapping the sword, he could not help leaning forwards to gaze at it curiously.

“This sword was kept in the King of Arne’s stores, but it must be Númenórean in origin. As a matter of fact, no Arnian would be able to use it, and I doubt many Númenóreans can. But I believe you do have both the strength and the reach needed to wield it.” He pushed the gleaming blade towards Elendil, who took it in his hands, observing its every detail with a reverential look. “I am aware that you are more accustomed to practice swords than real ones, and that marriage and children will remove you even further from such pursuits. But I have seen you, Elendil son of Amandil, and I know that you have the heart of a warrior. And I will not abandon the hope of having you by my side in Middle Earth one day.”

The younger man stood up, holding the sword, and began moving it around; first tentatively, as he became accustomed to its weight and reach, and then, gradually, in faster and looser thrusts. Pharazôn nodded in enthusiasm.

“I knew it would fit! I had a bet with two of my men.”

“I do not know what to say. This is priceless.” Elendil shook his head, cutting Pharazôn before he could speak. “But I cannot do what you wish me to do. My place is here.”

The son of the Prince of the South shrugged, undeterred.

“For now, maybe. But who knows about the future?”

“I mean it.” Elendil frowned. “My father told me what you and he went through in the past. I did not learn swordsmanship in order to kill fellow Men in distant lands.”

“Oh, Men are only a part of it. You have heard of Mordor, haven’t you?”

“According to the King, that evil is beyond our power to conquer.”

“The King can speak for himself. I defeated the armies of Mordor once, and I do not plan to stop until one day, I can vanquish Sauron entirely. And if you stand at my side when this happens, your name will be more famous than the heroes in those scrolls that your Faithful hold in such great veneration.”

Elendil carefully laid the sword back in its wrapping. He seemed to be contemplating this pronouncement in silence, probably wondering how to express his disbelief in a polite way. Just when Pharazôn was about to give up on trying to coax a reaction from him, however, he spoke.

“I was present at that Council session, six years ago. I remember that you defeated a powerful creature… a Ringwraith, as the Elves of Lindon call it. They say you were lucky to sever the enchantments that allowed him to keep a body in our plane of existence. They also say that there are eight more of those, and of course there is Sauron himself.”

“They also claimed that there were ways to defeat them, like fire and special blades.” Amandil had been the one to tell him that, years ago: his blade had been one of those, though he had not known it at the time. “I could have used the knowledge back then, and I will certainly use it in the future.”

“Would you become an ally of the Elves, then? You?

“I do not trust them any more than I do the Orcs, but if they wish to destroy each other, I would not mind as long as my interests were served. That is another of the many things you would learn in the mainland: if you have to ally yourself with men who eat the flesh of their fallen enemies, you do so, and you look away when they feed.” Pharazôn drained his cup with a long swallow, watching Elendil’s expression, and promptly shook his head with a rueful grin. “Why, I do not seem to be doing a very good job of convincing you of visiting Middle-Earth. Perhaps I shouldn’t have mentioned the last detail. That was only one tribe of many I have met, if that is any comfort to you.” Though others sacrificed people to their gods, and then there were those who mated with Orcs…

The younger man sat down in front of him, the shadow of an answering smile dancing in his eyes.

“Well, I cannot pretend I am eager to meet people who are able to do those things, but the lesson seems an interesting one. Do not lose hope, my lord prince. If I ever set foot in Middle-Earth, I swear it will be with you, and that I will wield this sword.”

Pharazôn laughed.

“Your father should have warned you that I never lose hope. For those of us who do not possess foresight, this is our greatest privilege, and our most terrible weapon.”

Elendil frowned at this, as if pondering something. After a moment, to Pharazôn’s bemusement, he nodded.

“Indeed. That was quite an insightful observation.”

“And he should have told you that I can be insightful when I drink wine, too. The more wine I drink, the more insightful I become.”

“I think Eluzîni would like you.”

“Not if I succeed in dragging you to the mainland, she will not.”

“Then you would have to fight her, I am afraid.”

Pharazôn smiled.

“She, and your father both. I still prefer those odds to having to fight you.”

But somehow, as he leaned back and saw the younger man turn an inscrutable gaze back in the direction of the sword, his instinct, the one that he had learned to keep apart from the natural flow of his wishes and affections, told him that one day this particular battle would inevitably be won.

 

The Truth

Read The Truth

Year 3219 of the Second Age - year 42 of the reign of Tar Palantir

 

The Spring sky was a glorious hue of blue, untainted by the usual flocks of clouds that the East wind blew from a mysterious land. In the gardens surrounding the Andúnië mansion, mocked as a “barbarian orchard” by the Númenóreans who had grown accustomed to hide their spaces of leisure behind triple walls, the warm rays of the Sun seemed to have awoken life with their vivifying touch. The trill of the birds, the buzz of insects, the voices of men and women rung in his ears, louder, it seemed to him, than ever in a place which, since his first arrival many years ago, he had unconsciously categorized as a land of forbidding quiet. And above all those sounds, the most precious, the rarest of them all, so much that, if he closed his eyes, he could almost believe that he had imagined it: the laughter of children.

Amandil blinked, wondering why it still seemed so unreal to him. This was supposed to be his home, his ancestral home, even if he had not raised any children here. Or been raised himself, he remembered, his mind wandering briefly towards the haunting temple, the secret house in Armenelos that he had barely been allowed to enter, the long exile to a distant world. By the time he was allowed to return to the land of his fathers, it had already seemed too late. He had thought it would never be anything to him but the empty shell of an ideal life, his kinsmen but strangers, his people but exiles, still living under the shadow of their long imprisonment. And his wife, of course, the greatest stranger of them all.

But it was a wondrous thing, how a few years of peace could change everything. A tenuous peace, to be sure, and certainly not for everyone in either the Island or the colonies, but to his family and his people, it had been the first period without persecution that they had known in three hundred years. Little by little, as if they were wild animals used to bolt at the sight of hunters, they seemed to have regrown their confidence, settling back in their lands, and daring to believe, for the first time, that it was truly their home. The barren wastelands had slowly become fields, fishermen’s boats had become a fleet, ruins had grown back into houses, and a poor village into a prosperous town. The empty mansion, a home for ghosts where the King’s mother, the Princess Inzilbêth, had once curled against her mother’s tombstone to sleep at night, was now full of people, and the first children in a hundred and fifty years were being born into the house of Andúnië.

“Artanis and I were the last children to play here”, Númendil said, as if – no, not as if, he corrected himself, for he had certainly read his thoughts. Amandil had always heard that his father was considered “Elvish”, but since he had begun living among the real Elves, this previous appreciation had been revealed as a gross understatement. “We also used to go down to the mallorn forest, but our games were more sedate, I believe.”

“I am ready to take your word for it, Father”, Amandil nodded, a smile dancing in his lips. He could imagine his father and his aunt Artanis at ten, lying on the ground counting stars, engaging in some Elvish riddle game or just talking to each other in very quiet voices. The comparison with his grandson and his friend, whose ear-splitting screams could be perfectly heard from almost half a mile away was almost funny.

“Do you think any of them could be hurt?” At the far end of the porch, Amalket had interrupted the conversation she was having with the Lady Lalwendë, and she was sending somewhat worried looks in the direction of the trees. Her daughter-in-law shook her head, laughing.

“I will only be worried the moment I cannot hear them”, she said. As she spoke, there was a rustle of twigs, and the two boys emerged in plain sight, racing each other to only the Valar knew where. Their shouts became louder and louder as they drew closer.

“Boys!” Amalket stood up, a formidable frown upon her brow. “Keep your voices down or go away, you are disturbing your mother!”

“Sorry, Grandmother! “Isildur stopped in his tracks; his face flushed from the effort. “I told Malik we should run the other way, but he is afraid he will fall into the Sea!”

“That is not true!” Malik protested. Though Amandil was quite familiar with him by now, he couldn’t help but be amazed every time at how much he looked like Ashad, back when he was a young boy in Middle Earth. “I never said I was afraid!”

“But you are!”

“I am not!”

“Listen, boys, Isildur’s mother is in a delicate condition…”

“Do not worry, Lady Moriwendë.” Malik let go of his quarrel to look appraisingly at Lalwendë’s enormous belly, and smiled in what he probably imagined was a reassuring way. “My mother had seven, and she was fine afterwards.”

Amalket sized him with a shocked stare, as if he had robbed her of words she had been planning to say. Amandil felt lucky to be at a certain distance from her right now, for he had difficulties to hide his laughter.

Lalwendë patted the mound that had been growing over her stomach for the last eight months.

“Oh, yes, I have no doubt of that. But think about this: the baby can hear you from here, but it cannot see you. So, what if it thinks that you are a horde of Orcs coming to eat us all? It will never want to leave my belly! And I wish it would; I am very tired of having it inside me.”

“I have been thinking of something!” Isildur proclaimed, before his mother had even finished. “What if we exchange this baby for Malik, and he stays here all the time, and the baby goes to live with Malik’s mother?”

“What?” Amalket shook her head in incredulity, sitting down with an almost imperceptible wince. Her knees often pained her, Amandil could tell, though she did not want to talk about it. Joint ache, they had called it when they had detected it in her mother. “What kind of idea is that?”

“I am afraid that is not possible”, Elendil said, coming to sit next to her. For Isildur, of course, that was far from an adequate explanation.

“Why?”

“Because, when it is born, it will be about this size” Lalwendë drew the size of a newborn in the air with the palms of her hands. “Look at Malik’s size, now. How could Malik’s mother ever accept such an unfair deal?”

Her son frowned, pondering this, while Elendil and his mother looked at each other and shook their heads almost in unison.

“Well, at least we could convince her to let him stay longer, couldn’t we?” the boy insisted, changing tack. “I mean, she has six other children…”

That we can try.” His mother smiled brightly. “If Malik is in agreement, of course.”

“Oh, I am!” The other boy was remarkably quick to answer. Amandil was reminded of those stolen mornings in the temple villa, playing with the only boy who could make him forget about the time, and the oppressive pull of the rules and interdictions that shaped his reality. This made him feel sympathy.

“I have known Ashad since he was a child. I believe he will not refuse” he intervened. “And he still owes me for stealing my horse and boarding my ship to come to Númenor.”

Really?” Malik stared at him in amazement. “I do not know that story!”

“Then, I will tell you tonight.” That should give him enough time to find a way of editing it to his satisfaction. “Now, you should go and play, the sun is still high in the sky.”

“Yes, Grandfath… Hey, wait! That is not fair!” Isildur yelled as Malik burst into a run, taking the lead. “You are cheating again!”

“And keep your voices down!” Amalket shouted after them, though Amandil doubted that they had even heard her.

Elendil seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

“As Lalwendë said, as long as we can hear them, everything is fine. Though I must apologize to Grandfather, whose ears must not be accustomed to this ill treatment.”

“Do Elves have children, Lord Númendil?” Lalwendë asked. Amandil’s father, who had been quietly listening to the entire conversation, shook his head, a little ruefully, or so it seemed to him.

“Not many. Being as they are, immortal, they are not limited by our life cycles. A married couple can bring a child to the world now, but they can also bring it after twenty generations of our direct descendants have grown old and died. So, when there is a time that they judge to be inappropriate for childbearing, they merely leave it for the future.”

“And is this time inappropriate for childbearing?” Lalwendë insisted, still curious. “Why?”

“For them, the time has been inappropriate for childbearing ever since they came to Middle-Earth as exiles. Now and then, a child is born, but it is a much rarer occurrence than it is among Men.”

“But that should be… since…” The Lady of Andúnië ‘s voice trailed away, as if she was counting in silence but could not make sense of the figures. “I cannot understand. In the First Age, if the stories are true, they really were in danger most of the time, and it was an ugly world to bring a child into. But now? There is always a war here or there, but not enough as to…”

“There were no wars here or there where they came from.” Númendil reminded her. “Also, many of them left their wives and their husbands in Valinor, or they died in the wars. It will be long until they are reunited again.”

Those fifty years do not seem that long, by comparison. Amandil could almost hear the thought, whirling inside her mind, and he could also feel its violent rejection.

“Immortality and eternity are notions that we mortals are unable to contemplate” she argued, her voice becoming tinged with a touch of bitterness. “We are what we are, and we do what we do because, in the end, we know that we must die. You may live among the Elves, Lord Númendil, but for us, they are but the subject of tales.”

“I wonder how it would feel, being able to choose an age of the world to bring forth my children” Lalwendë intervened, a little too quickly. A perceptive woman, in spite of her reputation as an air-headed pleasure seeker, she had soon learned her way around the quiet feud in her new family. “To be forever fertile. What if I did keep bearing children all the time? I could be mother to an army!”

“An army of children like Isildur?” Elendil pretended to be horrified. This finally made Amalket smile.

“No, not all boys. I want girls, too. I am sure this one is a girl”. His daughter-in-law patted her belly again. “And she will be like me.”

Back when she married his son, Amandil thought, she would never have been so open with this statement. Having her father’s reputation, asides from her own, to contend with, she had been on the defensive for a time, determined to show them that she was the perfect wife for Elendil. He had to admit that he may have deserved this attitude at first, for he had not been very thrilled with the idea of the marriage, and even less with the King’s surprising haste in allowing it, prompted, as it seemed now more often than ever, by political considerations instead of anything related to his so-called moral restoration. But Elendil had found it appropriate, and he trusted Elendil, even in something as volatile as the matters of the heart. As for Amalket, she could not have cared less for who the lady was or who her parents were: as far as she was concerned, if Elendil loved her, there was nothing else to discuss. And if you dare disagree with that, you are even more of a filthy hypocrite than I believed, she finished the argument with an extra flourish.

That had been only at the beginning, however. After that, he did keep his mouth shut, and the strategy had worked surprisingly well, for everybody was happy with the arrangement. The King had his great Western alliance, and his show of public reconciliation between two of the three main noble houses who supported him. Amalket had her son’s happiness, Elendil had Lalwendë, and she had him -and very soon after that, both had Isildur. And then, she had grown back her confidence, and the more like herself she became, the more Amandil had started to like her, too.

“You will be very lucky if you get your wish with this child”, Amalket said. “Isildur is nothing at all like his father. To this day, I still do not know who he has taken after!”

“Now that you mention him.” Lalwendë looked up, suddenly concerned. “I haven’t heard him for a while now.”

Elendil stood up.

“Stay here” he said, but she was already on her feet, in spite of Amalket’s efforts to prevent it. Amandil was about to stand as well, as he had never been the kind to sit idly whenever something was afoot, but before they could go very far, a strange silhouette emerged from the trees.

It took even his own eyes, once experienced in the art of scrutinizing his surroundings for signs of the enemy, a little while until he could make sense of what he was seeing. The figure looked like a boy, but it was actually two, as one of them -Isildur- was leaning heavily against the other. His face was pale, and he advanced slowly, with a very pronounced limp.

“What on Earth has happened?” Lalwendë cried, both arms hugging her belly in a dramatic way. “Oh, quiet down, quiet down, please, please!”

“He… fell from the tree” Malik explained. His face, which looked as if it was perpetually tanned by the sun, was now a faint hue of red. Isildur shook his head.

“I did not fall. I jumped.”

“Because I jumped first and dared you.”

“Well, you did not push me!” In spite of his pain, he looked defiant. “And I would have done it if it wasn’t for that stupid branch!”

“It is only sprained.” Somehow Amandil had got there first, and immediately began to identify the injury with the calm expertise given him by years of experience in the mainland. His grandson winced when he manipulated the foot, but he did not cry. “Still, it will take some time to heal.”

“Do you mean to say that you threw yourself from a tree?” Lalwendë’s voice was unusually shrill as she caught the gist of the situation. “Why? What was the point in that? Were you trying to kill yourself?”

“I was not trying to kill myself; I was trying to get to the other tree!” Isildur explained, somehow still having the energy to feel indignant. “Malik can do it!”

“So, if Malik falls down a cliff, you would fall down a cliff to imitate him?” Amalket snorted.

“I would not… I didn’t…” Ashad’s son seemed suddenly overwhelmed by the situation. Letting go of Isildur, who was held by Amandil and Elendil now, he stepped backwards, his face redder than ever. “I didn’t mean it, I’m sorry! I thought he would be able to do it, too!”

“We are all different, and so are our abilities, Malik.” Trust Elendil to keep his cool when everyone else lost it, Amandil thought. “I trust you will remember this from now on. And even more so you, Isildur. As Father says, this will take time to heal. This means that you will not be hanging on trees anytime soon, but resting in bed.”

“You are lucky you did not break it.” Amalket remarked, with all the severity she could muster. “As I was saying earlier, who does this boy take after? Halideyid was always such a good child!”

Lalwendë stood up and walked towards them, wincing very much like Isildur when his foot was touched.

“Oh, my child. Ouch, you, be still, this is none of your business! I love you. I love you very much, but you are going to be the death of me.” She embraced him as well as she was able; her grip looked so precarious that, for a moment, Amandil did not dare let go of his burden.

Isildur seemed embarrassed, if because guilt was finally sinking in or because of his mother’s public display of affection, he could not know for sure.

“I am sorry, Mother. I am very sorry, and I will not do it again.”

Finally deeming it safe to withdraw from the scene, Amandil let go of the boy, and went back to his seat next to Númendil. His father had been watching them in silence, but as he approached him, the lord of Andúnië could detect a wistful look in his sea-grey eyes.

“What is it?” Amandil asked. Númendil sighed softly.

“Your wife does not know whom this child takes after” he said. “But I do. It is you.”

“Me?” At first, the Lord of Andúnië thought that his father was joking, but it was not like him to do it in this manner. He remembered his childhood, mostly spent in cautious avoidance of the King and his allies, of the priests of the Temple, of doing the wrong thing and dying for it. “I can assure you, Father, I was nothing like this.”

Númendil waved this away.

“You may have forgotten, but I have not. Back in Sor, in Azzibal’s house, you were such a boisterous, reckless child! You feared nothing, and you believed you could fight all our enemies singlehanded. Sometimes, I wondered whose son you were, and why you were so different from me and my forebears. “His gaze became sad, and Amandil felt a sudden pang in his chest. “Then they came for you, and they taught you fear, caution, and secrecy. They taught you that you were just one child against a sea of malicious hate, spawned over centuries, and that there was nothing you could do except to be silent, think like them, and try to survive. That day, the child was gone, and he disappeared so thoroughly that even you have forgotten that he once existed. But here, in your grandson, you have a mirror in which you can see yourself, as you used to be.”

Amandil tried to speak, but he found that there was a knot in his throat, and many unbidden thoughts fighting their way inside his mind. It was very long since his father had made him feel this way, as if he had an old wound whose scabs were being picked to make it bleed anew. The saddest thing of all was that he was right: Amandil had many memories of the past, but the ones from Sor had fled his mind in time, never to be recovered. Perhaps his mind had not been able to reconcile them with what he later became, and so had tried to save him the discomfort.

He thought of Isildur, who was here, in front of him, even now complaining that he did not need to be carried, and that he was already feeling better. The boy might be in brief pain, and even be cautious around trees for a while, but that would not bother him for long. In no time, he would be trying to sneak away from his room and trying to force himself to walk on his sprained ankle. That was how he was; he did not know fear.

Because no one had taught it to him. And, he thought, with such a sudden intensity of feeling that he felt as if his chest would burst, no one ever would. Because they would never, ever, come for him, as long as Amandil lived.

“That is an admirable resolution” Númendil nodded, absently watching their family’s slow progress towards the gates of the house. “Do you know that Elves consider us foolish for believing that we can protect our children against anything? For them, though they are too polite to say so, we are like those animals that, living in the wilderness, cannot know if they will live to see another morning, and seek to perpetuate themselves in their young. What truly protects them, what truly protects us, is not our strength, but our numbers. That is why we have to believe that the world is safe for our children to live in, because we need to have them; otherwise, we would die out.”

Oh, so that was what they thought, didn’t they? Amandil shrugged. He knew that he owed them for that one time they saved his life, but he had never felt much affinity for that haughty immortal folk that his father associated with. If their infinite wisdom was what the King believed that Númenor needed, he could not disagree more.

As Amalket had put it before, they, the Númenóreans, were not infinite. As such, nothing of what the Elves could teach them would ever offer valid solutions for their short, finite, animal lives.

“Perhaps you are right.” Númendil conceded, with an equanimity that soon became tainted with a surprisingly raw pain. “And perhaps you can succeed where I failed.”

Amandil covered his hand with his in a gesture of comfort, wondering why his father’s skin was always so cold when compared to his.

“It was never your fault, Father.”

Númendil did not answer.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Palantir had always hated that room, from the days when Ar Gimilzôr had made it into his audience chamber. The mosaics covering the walls were brightly coloured, but their teachings were dark and somber, tainted to the core by the superstitions spread by the foul agents of the Enemy. Several Men lay asleep beside a running fountain, when Melkor appeared to them in a dream and ordered them to build a raft to sail the Great Sea. His image still hovered over them as they set to work, building the primitive vessel that would allow them to find the Promised Island, which floated aimlessly across the Sea until the selfless death of one of their number had rooted it to both Earth and Heaven.  A large pillar of stone grew towards the bottom of the sea, while another shot upwards towards the sky and disappeared behind the clouds, forming the Meneltarma. The city of Armenelos was built beside it, to be the dwelling place of both Kings, the one on Earth and the one in Heaven, fated to keep watch on each other forever from the summit of their respective hills.

All lies - except for the last one, he reminded himself, his gaze falling upon the mosaic depicting the temple of Melkor perched atop the height, with its white towers and amber-coloured dome. It did not matter that the real Melkor had been banished to the Void long ago: for him, for them, he was still there, and he remained a formidable enemy.

“We should not pay undue attention to malicious gossip”, he said, in a low voice that managed to carry across the sounds of loud argument. For a moment, Vorondil, Shemer, Zakarbal and Earnissë stopped talking to look at him. Míriel, as always, remained lost in her own thoughts, her gaze fixed upon the patterns of the obsidian floor.

“It used to be gossip, my lord King, when nobody dared attach his name to it”, Lord Shemer corrected him. “Now, it is treason.”

“We have to act against it, and do it fast, before it spreads!” Vorondil chimed in after his father. Zakarbal nodded ferociously.

“The Prince Vorondil is right. He should be removed from the scene now.”

Palantir sighed. His brother-in-law had never been an accommodating man, but since the Belfalas war, something which had always remained hidden behind the mask of courtly politeness had emerged from within, and it had never gone back to sleep again.

“You are exaggerating the extent of the issue. He has not risen in arms against the Sceptre, or anything of that sort. If war and violence cannot be avoided entirely, it is foolish to believe that they should be invoked under the meanest of pretexts, least of all within the Island.”

“Or perhaps you are too accommodating because you are afraid of him.”

The shock of hearing Eärnissë support her brother against him, for the first time in so many years, silenced him for a moment -which allowed her to continue, unchallenged.

“Rising in arms is not the only way to attack the Sceptre. You of all people should know this. Do you remember your kinsmen of Andúnië? All it takes is a single evil word to doom an entire house, if it falls on the right ears, and stirs the right emotions. If this evil word goes unchallenged…”

“…it will prove it was nothing but an evil word. If it is challenged, it will become fact”, he retorted. “It is not the place of the Sceptre to react to rumours.”

“They are not rumours!” Zarhil -for this was definitely Zarhil speaking, the Zarhil she had been years ago- shouted angrily. “Since the moment he mentioned it, everybody believed it, no matter what you do or do not do! How can you be so unfeeling? Are you her father, or not?”

You tell me that, he mused wryly, as his eyes travelled from her to the indifferent dark gaze of the target of the slander.

Why did the woman insist in fooling herself, together with their fool of their son-in-law? The Princess of the West could not be a victim of any such words, slanderous or not. She sat like the ivory statue of a goddess of Men, just as proud, and just as untouchable. She had never agonized over being inadequate for the succession, over the lack of heirs for the throne, and much less over what a High Priest claimed about her lack of fertility. It could be argued whether this was an attack on the Sceptre itself, of whether it deserved or not the name of treason, but feelings had nothing to do with it. Yehimelkor could not hurt her any more than he could hurt the stars in the sky -because for her, none of it mattered.

As if she knew what he was thinking, Míriel allowed her lips to curve in a brief smile.

“And what about me?” Vorondil intervened, gripping the armrest of her chair. “Isn’t my honour compromised, too?”

“No, my dear” she said, in a slow voice, as if talking to a child. “The High Priest claims that I cannot have children because my father’s line is cursed. You have nothing to do with it.”

“This concerns the King directly, and his decree of succession. Implicitly, it advocates a return to the late King’s will” Zakarbal noted, “which is what makes it treason.”

“And what exactly is godlier about the late King’s will, according to this man?” It had taken Vorondil a remarkably short time to recover his aplomb after Míriel’s derision. “Has the son of the Prince of the South been blessed with an heir?”

“Oh, he has been blessed with plenty of them, I am sure, but they will all be half-barbarian” Shemer snorted. “Though, who knows? Some of those halfwits who worship his so-called Holiness might prefer them to hold the Sceptre rather than the rightful line of Elros.”

For the first time in the conversation, Míriel looked upset. She stood up, and her chair fell back with a sharp noise.

“Is there a reason why I should be here, listening to your obscenities? I do not care what you do to this man Yehimelkor. Kill him, for all I care, or invite him to dinner, but I wish to leave now. May I?”

At once, Vorondil was all over her, apologizing for upsetting her, and Palantir had to swallow back a retort. If this airheaded fool had not realized yet that she feigned anger whenever she wanted to be rid of someone -or of many people at once, as it was now the case- he did not deserve anything but her contempt.

The problem being that contempt did not breed heirs.

“This is a delicate business. I am aware of what you think, Earnissë” he interjected quickly before she could interrupt him, “but Yehimelkor is not a man to be opposed lightly. He is the highest representative of him whom many of our subjects believe to be the Great God, the Lord of the Island, and as such, an attack on his person may have disastrous consequences for us all. And war in the Island is something that neither of us desire, even if we could afford it.”

If we could afford it. Unfortunately, that was the heart of the issue as he saw it. The last time he had allowed himself to open the gates of war, he had been certain that the coin would fall on his side, and that Pharazôn would have no option but to remain loyal. The next time, however, he would have to work with a dwindling amount of certainty. All his attempts to create another successful and equally powerful general had failed: Elendil had not been to his daughter’s liking, Vorondil was a damn fool, Hiram a mediocre commander, and Amandil could only absent himself for limited amounts of time, being as he was the lord of Andúnië. Even if any of them had been eligible, at this point Palantir was in doubt as to whether they could ever challenge the untouchable aura earned by the Golden Prince after his exploits in Belfalas. If the war hero joined hands with the holy man, a King who was perceived as being neither of the two might be at a disadvantage, and the symbolic power of the Sceptre might not be enough to compensate.

No, he thought. He had to tread very carefully around Yehimelkor.

“I will meet with him here, in the Palace. But it will be a strictly protocolary visit, and none of you will be present for the duration. “He stood up. “You are dismissed now.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Yehimelkor stood in the middle of the room, keeping still while the younger man hovered around him, arranging the folds of the purple cloak around his body with fastidious precision. As he did so, he gave no sign of being aware of the other’s movements, his mind lost in the increasingly complicated maze of his own thoughts.

“Your Holiness” a voice called to him. When he did not reply, it became higher, with a touch of impatience. “Your Holiness! You have to raise your arm.”

Yehimelkor complied. He knew the priest since he had entered the god’s service as a child, enough as to be aware of what he must be thinking right now.

“Yes, I do understand the importance of attire for a High Priest, and no, I would not fail to notice if I was wearing it upside down, Hasdrumelkor” he defended himself against the unspoken accusation. “But I trust you enough as to leave everything in your hands.”

Trust. It had taken him far too long, to trust. It hadn’t been this boy’s fault that there had been someone before him, or that this someone had betrayed him. In a way, it hadn’t even been Hannimelkor’s fault, if the god had willed it to happen, and still, he had been forced to contend with a sinful and unexpected bitterness for years, until he managed to purge it out. Luckily, Hasdrumelkor was a good soul, ready to forgive everything, which Yehimelkor had interpreted as a signal that the god had, too.

“I am worried, your Holiness”. Hasdrumelkor gave the finishing touches to his handiwork and leaned back to watch the result. As he did, his eyes caught those of the High Priest, and they were filled with a sudden uncertainty. “The King has never summoned you before. What if… he has heard…?”

He had never spoken a lie in his life, not even a white one.

“I am certain that he has.”

“But, then…”

“I cannot claim I will be safe, Hasdrumelkor. No man may ever claim such a thing in this world full of sin. All I can claim is that I will not dishonour the Lord or his temple, whose High Priest I am, in any way.”

“Let me go with you, Your Holiness.” The young priest bowed, his hands clenching on the marble floor. “Please.”

“There is nothing you can do for me there, except to put yourself in unnecessary danger. I will go alone, as my name was the only one mentioned in his summons.” He frowned. “No, you will not sway me in this. Stay here, and pray, for a prayer that is heard is mightiest than an army.”

Since he had received word from the King, this was the sixth time he had refused an escort of any size and shape, and every time he had done so with the same words. If only the priests were as zealous about their duty as they were brave, the skies would ring with prayers for his safe return, but he knew that most of them would prefer to waste their time in mindless fretting and speculation.

He sighed, gathering the complicated folds of his robe and heading towards the corridor, where many of his fellow priests paused in their tasks and conversations to bow at him in silence. He could also surrender to the temptation of speculating, of pondering what the chances were of coming out of this unscathed, versus the chances of dispelling some of the blindness which ailed the King. The first did not concern him overmuch, for his life had not belonged to him for so long that he could not even remember how it felt when it was still his. The second, however – if he did have ten lives to spare, he would risk them for this outcome.

The Palace Guards were waiting in the entrance hall, standing on the stairs that led to the Hall of Sacrifices, where the Holy Fire blazed without interruption. As he came in their sight, they stiffened visibly, falling in formation, confirming his supposition that he was a prisoner under the name of a guest. Many of them, however, had a look of uneasiness in their faces that also confirmed something else: they were in awe of the holiness of Melkor, which meant that they were not entirely his. It was a hopeful sign, however small.

It would have to suffice.

“Lead the way, gentlemen”, he bade them, falling behind them as a prince behind his escort.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“The High Priest of Melkor”, the herald announced, with a large, booming voice that seemed incongruous in these surroundings. Palantir had wished for complete privacy, so he was sitting in his own secret garden, little more than a terrace in the open air behind his study. From his vantage point, he could see the man walking past three large tables almost completely covered with stacks of old manuscripts, which lay scattered in a chaotic jumble where no one would be able to find anything except for Palantir himself. If Amandil had been right about his former Revered Father, this sight would be met with the utmost disapproval -but compared with all the reasons the man already had to disapprove of him, such a minor thing would barely count.

And, most importantly, Yehimelkor’s disapproval was irrelevant here.

“Be welcome, my lord.” He would not call him Holiness, as any claim to a sacred status he may have was derived from the Enemy, but he had to admit, deep inside, that Yehimelkor had always looked holy. He also spoke holy words, sometimes only barely tainted with superstitious gibberish, and carried himself with the utmost dignity in every Council session. Eyewitnesses agreed that he cut an even more impressive figure when he stood before the flaming altar, preaching to the people that Palantir’s line was cursed by the gods.

“My lord King.” He bowed curtly, gathering the folds of his impressive purple cloak to sit down where he was motioned to. Palantir poured him a cup of tea, but he stretched a large, pale hand in a gesture of refusal. “I do not eat or drink while the sun is still in the sky for a month before the Festival of the King.”

“As you wish. “Palantir took the cup, and drank from it himself under the impassive gaze. Suddenly, he thought he understood part of the hold that this man had over other, lesser men: they felt constantly judged by him. “Perhaps you do not know why you have been summoned here.”

“I assume I am here for speaking the truth about you and your line.” Yehimelkor did not mince words, not even in private. “The truth is always a terrible offense for those who have chosen to turn their backs to it.”

“And you have conferred upon yourself the sole authority to determine what the truth is” Palantir retorted, coldly. “Only you, in your infinite wisdom, can know the true cause of a woman’s failure to become pregnant. Only you can know what lies outside the Circles of the World, the names and attributes of invisible beings who guide us, and whether they approve or disapprove of what we do.”

Yehimelkor did not even blink.

“The same could be said about you.”

“I am the King of Númenor!” Whatever had happened to his resolution to remain calm? “I can force you to resign. I can have you tried for treason. I can…”

“Take my life? No, my lord King, you cannot, as it does not belong to me.”

Palantir forced himself to gather back his composure. What on Earth was he doing? He had been aware from the beginning of the fact that intimidation would not work with this man. Why had he allowed himself to fall in this trap, as if he was a hot-headed youngster, eager to prove that he was stronger and better, that he was in control and would have the last word?

Yehimelkor did not value his own life. He was a true believer, as true as Palantir himself could be in his strongest moments, and though what he believed was false, this did not affect his perception of it. Men like this could be threatened with anything, and they still would have the last word.

“So, this is what you mean when you preach about the holiness of sacrifice,” he spoke after a while, his voice back to his usual, calm tone. “A mortal man’s sacrifice is holy to the extent to which it mirrors the sacrifice of your god.”

“I am honoured that you have taken good note of my words, my lord King.” If there was irony in Yehimelkor’s words, it was very well hidden. “I only wish they could have served you better.”

“But life is holy, too, according to your teachings.” He refused to rise to the bait. “Throwing it away is the most terrible of sins.”

“Not if there is a higher purpose.”

“And what higher purpose can be served by insulting me and my daughter in front of the people of Armenelos?”

“That they will not be led astray by the lies which corrupted you, back when you were a young man, and are now threatening to corrupt all of Númenor.”

“What you call corruption is nothing but the awareness of what we lost, when we forgot our true alliances and beliefs, and fell under the evil influence of the Dark Enemy of the World. You live in a cave, reaching for shadows, and refuse to climb back to the light and see the truth.”

“I know something about your beliefs, too.” Yehimelkor, ever the polemist, stared at him intently. “Your Dark Enemy is in the Void, outside the Circles of the World, is he not? Then how could he exert a corrupting influence over us, how could he convince us that everything that we believed to be evil was, in fact, fair and good?”

“Because he marred the world, and the shadow of his presence remained henceforth. Have you heard of Sauron, the Dark Lord of Mordor in the mainland? He was his chief servant, and there are many others, still roaming this world.”

“I cannot claim to know much about the affairs of the mainland, as I believe that we should not have settled there or sought to grasp what did not belong to us. However, my lord King, why would this Sauron hate us and wage war on us, if we were his natural allies?”

“Because…” As he wondered about this, all of a sudden, the answer was chillingly clear in Palantir’s mind. “Because you still believe that fair and good things are fair and good, even if your god is not. But this will not last for ever. One day, Númenor will either fall to darkness together with the evil it worships or renounce it totally and be saved.”

Now, it was Yehimelkor who fell silent for a moment. He shook his head.

“If that is your purpose, you cannot possibly succeed. Even you have to admit it, the gods are on my side. On your side, there is only emptiness and silence. Beings who are removed from us, who do not heed us or answer our prayers. Beings born from an intellectual’s wish to rationalize their lack of belief, an intellectual who did not understand that, even if his powerful mind protected him from despair, it would not protect the others once that his teachings spread.”

“Above all of them, there is still Eru.”

“Eru is outside the Circles of the World. How can you pretend to reach him without intermediaries?”

“So, what happened to the search for the truth?” Palantir frowned. “You speak of convenience now. What if the truth is not convenient? What if it is not comforting, what if it leads weaker minds into despair? Wouldn’t it be the truth, still?”

“No.” Yehimelkor answered firmly. “I have felt the Lord within me, I have experienced his power, and his guidance. If your truth offers no hope to Men, then it cannot be the truth at all.”

“But the truth I speak of does hold hope, as well, even if you cannot fathom a hope that does not spring from the worship of your false gods.” Palantir retorted. “If you have ever felt this hope, then perhaps you have been touched by this gift. Estel, the Elves call it, the faith in something higher than ourselves which will deliver us from evil.”

“I can assure you, my lord King, that I have felt it, and it sprung from the worship of what you call my false god. If you wish to give it an Elvish name and appropriate it for your twisted scheme of things, you may do it, but you must know that it will remain within me, forcing me to defy you until my dying breath.”

You bloody fool, how can you be so blind and deaf as to refuse to consider that we should be on the same side? Palantir wanted nothing more than to grab him by the purple folds of his robe, and shake him until he could make him understand. But those efforts would yield nothing, he knew that well enough by now.

“I have a dream, almost every night” he said, instead. “A Wave, which rises from the West and engulfs this island, drowning each and every one of its inhabitants in punishment for our terrible sins. I believe this dream will come to pass, as many of the foresighted dreams of our line, and all my efforts, all my policies, have as their ultimate goal to prevent it. That is why I must oppose you, your god, and your teachings, to save Númenor.”

This, at last, managed to leave Yehimelkor speechless. For a hopeful moment, Palantir even believed he could see a flicker of uncertainty in his expression, but it was gone as soon as it had appeared.

“My lord King, I have a dream every night, too. I see a dark god rising in the mainland, and towering over Númenor like a cloud of black smoke. That is why I have always opposed your campaigns in Middle Earth, and the rebuilding of Pelargir. And that is why I will always oppose you, because I see nothing but godlessness in your path, and if the Island becomes godless, it will fall all the more easily to this dark god.”

Now, it was Palantir’s turn to stare. His mind reeled. Could this… dream be a prophecy, like his? Yehimelkor belonged to the line of Elros, so it could be foresight, but - this begged the next question. Why would the Creator send them opposing directives? Why would He pointlessly pit them against each other instead of uniting them in the same purpose? That was simply not possible, so it had to mean that their dreams were somehow complementary. Was this darkness coming from the mainland related to the Wave, like a puzzle whose pieces had to be put together?

If only Yehimelkor would cooperate with him!

“Yehimelkor, you and I share the same blood. We should unite our efforts, instead of fighting each other,” he finally said it aloud. To his own shock, it came out sounding slightly like a plea, but he waved the shame away. “My grandfather, Melkorbazer, was a priest of Melkor like you, and your close kinsman, and he loved my grandmother and my mother, though he should have regarded their family as his enemy.”

This had been the wrong example, as he realized as soon as it had left his mouth.

“My kinsman broke his most sacred obligations out of lust for a beautiful woman. I have often been suspected only for sharing his blood, but I am nothing at all like him, my lord King. Make no mistake”, Yehimelkor replied, coldly.

But Palantir did not surrender yet.

“You saved the life of another of my kinsmen, Amandil, in defiance of my father, and raised him under your protection. This was not a betrayal of your obligations, and it was not done out of lust. It showed a high moral character, and your ability to see beyond the simple labels of names and affiliations.”

“Names and affiliations do not matter to me, but there are higher things which should matter to us all.” Unbidden, Yehimelkor stood up; though thin and slight of build, he seemed to tower over him for a moment. “I am here in your chambers, my lord King. You can free me and let me go back to my duties, or you can put a stop to my activities now; the choice is yours. But you cannot do both, for that is even beyond the reach of the Númenórean Sceptre.”

Beyond the reach of the Númenórean Sceptre, and beyond the reach of anything and anyone in this world, except perhaps Eru, Palantir thought, struggling with the stinging feelings of disappointment that welled inside his chest. To his surprise, there was also a little sadness in there.

“Very well, Yehimelkor. If this is what your god tells you, be my enemy. If this is what your god wants, let us tear Númenor apart fighting each other instead of joining hands, and if it is his will you can die calling his name, for I will not allow you to cause the death of innocents, or divert me from my purpose. Let this be the last warning that you shall receive.”

The High Priest bowed. For some reason, this time it was a proper bow, much lower than the perfunctory nod he had given him upon his arrival, though Palantir doubted that he had managed to earn a morsel of his respect during this conversation, much less cowed him with his threats.

Maybe, a chilly voice whispered in his ear, it was a bow of farewell.

“My lord King.”

Ancient Ceremonies I

Read Ancient Ceremonies I

Amandil stared at the horizon, where the sun was about to plunge under the waves in a majestic blaze of red. Set against this conflagration, the silhouette leaning against the railing looked small and dark to his eyes. It stood perfectly still, its shadow-veiled gaze fixed on an unknown course, and not even the sound of his heavy footsteps over the wooden planks seemed to elicit a reaction.

He hesitated.

“You have my leave to approach, Lord Amandil” her voice, uncommonly hoarse, addressed him. Slowly, he covered the distance that separated him from her, and set his own hands over the railing, though he did not lean on it. It would have been a carefree move, almost too familiar, and he wasn’t yet sure of whether it was appropriate.

“I did not wish to disturb you, my Queen. But dinner was getting cold, and I did not know if you liked it like that.”

Eärnissë snorted.

“It will not be the first time I eat a cold meal aboard a ship. Do not worry, Lord Amandil.”

From a closer distance, he could distinguish part of her features. As usual, her long grey hair was gathered in a simple knot behind her back, allowing a clear view of her face. Her angular nose and cheekbones, which sometimes reminded him, a little unpleasantly, of her brother Zakarbal, were not tempered by any warm look or smile. Instead, her forehead was creased in a deep frown, and her sea-grey eyes were the colour of storm.

Since the start of their journey, it was not the first time he had caught himself wondering what thoughts could be hidden behind this unusually taciturn exterior. At first, he had thought that maybe she had not wanted to come, for the voyage was long, and the political and ceremonial duties tedious. The official foundation of a city (even, as in this case, a refoundation, as the Court pompously called it) was no small matter, and though Pelargir had been up and running for years now, the King had not been satisfied until he managed to unearth ancient ceremonies and feasts to fill a fortnight. Those ceremonies, however, had never been undertaken outside of Númenor, as far as anyone could tell, and this had posed the problem of the King’s role in them, for the wielder of the Sceptre had not left the Island for thousands of years. Sending his heir had also been out of the question, so in the end, Queen Eärnissë and Prince Vorondil had been sent to stand for them in a compromise solution. A fleet carrying additional settlers from the West of the Island had accompanied them, and Amandil had been pronounced in charge of the expedition. This had angered Prince Vorondil, as he believed that he was higher ranked and therefore should be trusted to manage everything himself. Amandil had spent two uncomfortable weeks trying to avoid stepping on his toes, which were figuratively large and hard to miss.

Eärnissë, however, had not voiced any of her opinions, either on her own presence or on his, or even on the whole idea of this expedition. Loud and talkative by nature, the Queen of Númenor had become quieter and quieter since their ship lost sight of the harbour of Sor. As days passed, she barely engaged others in conversation anymore, and went out in the evenings to stare at the horizon in silence, ignoring both the wind and the rain. Mere displeasure at a certain turn of events was an inadequate explanation for her behaviour, Amandil had realized after a while, but he was at a loss as to how to continue this deduction.

“If my calculations do not fail me, we will reach the Bay of G… the Bay of Belfalas tomorrow or the next day at the latest”, he ventured, catching himself in time before the accursed name of the lost city fell from his lips out of habit. “So, it would be better if we were all rested and ready to face the crushing weight of ceremony.”

“Tomorrow.”

The word came even before he had stopped speaking, and in the resulting confusion he almost thought that he had imagined it. But then she turned towards him, and he realized that he had not.

“We will arrive tomorrow. I can smell the land from here.”

Before Amandil was even born, the Lady Zarhil of Forostar had been a sailor. Apparently, old habits died hard, even those that were sealed behind the great walls of the Palace of Armenelos.

“As you say, my Queen. No one in Númenor would do well to doubt your expertise.”

In the very last glow of dusk, a sudden yet deep sadness became clearly visible in the woman’s features. Amandil was tempted to reel back, as is physically struck by the intensity of this feeling, but a moment later it was gone.

“Is something wrong, my Queen?” he asked, before he could check his impulse. She shook her head, as if in denial, but for a while after that she remained silent.

“I know I have not been a very good passenger, Lord Amandil, and I wish to apologize for that”, she finally spoke. “In my discharge, it is the first time I have been on a ship without being the one to run it, and I did not trust myself to be able to stand out of your way for long. You already had my son-in-law to contend with, so I did not think it would be fair to add more troubles to your plate.”

Amandil’s eyes widened in surprise. It had been the longest speech she had given to anyone since they boarded the ships, and it was not at all what he had expected to hear. When he opened his mouth to reply, he tried to make his voice as matter-of-fact as possible; fortunately, a thick veil of darkness had descended over their faces by now.

“You do not have to apologize for anything, my lady. I was merely concerned for you. As for Prince Vorondil, it is not…”

“Bullshit” she interrupted him, rather crudely. “If this had been my ship, I would have put him in a boat and abandoned him to the waves long ago.”

Amandil wished to laugh at this, but he dared not.

“He is still husband to the Princess of the West.”

“All the more reason. Some other ship would feel bound to take him onboard, so his life would not be in danger.”

This time, Amandil did laugh. For a moment, he felt as comfortable as when they used to meet in the Palace, as if the last two weeks had not happened at all. But he had seen her look from before, seen it clearly, and deep inside he was aware that this was but a fleeting illusion.

“To be entirely honest, Lord Amandil, I was wondering if I could disappear in a boat myself. But I guess you would also feel bound to find me, would you not?”

He did not know what to answer.

“I did this much better. I was good at it, if I may say so myself. Perhaps that is why I loved it so much”, she continued. “I cannot say the same for all that came afterwards.”

Amandil took a long, uncomfortable breath. It is your fault, a stern voice spoke in his head. You pried, you were indiscreet, you did not keep your distance.

“Duties are … sometimes… onerous, especially when they take us away from the pursuits that we love,” he ventured. “I have also had those fantasies, my Queen, in which I left everything behind and returned to an unremarked life far away. But there is always something which keeps us anchored to our present lives.” A spouse’s love, he thought, would not fool anyone here; if rumours were true, the Queen’s marriage bed was as cold as his own. But there were other kinds of love to be had in this world, hanging as if as many ropes to cling to in the fall. “Family, for instance. I do not think I could bear to abandon my family again.”

Eärnissë let go of a sharp, impatient breath, like someone who had been puzzling over an unsolvable problem only to be distracted by a fool who was trying to help. Or maybe that comparison had been a little too coloured by his imagination.

“I will go and have my dinner before it goes from cold to frozen”, she announced, gathering herself up from her leaning position in the railing. As she brushed past him, Amandil realized that she was almost as tall as he was. “Wake me up early tomorrow, so I will have enough time to get into my queenly robes before noon.”

“As you wish, my Queen”, Amandil recited to the already empty air.

Far above his head, the stars of Varda were shining brightly over the clear sky. Alone, he watched them in silence for a while, his brow creased in a thoughtful frown.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As he crossed the threshold of the private quarters of the Andúnië mansion in Armenelos, Elendil thought that he was learning to understand his father better than ever. Unlike what might have been expected, however, this did not bring him any happiness or satisfaction, but rather an all-consuming feeling of dreariness which, he suspected, also matched Amandil’s perfectly well.

With the lord of Andúnië absent in the mainland, his duties in the Council had fallen to his son at an especially difficult time. There were no wars now and Middle Earth was at a tenuous peace, if slightly punctured by some disturbing rumours coming from the court of Phaleris I of Arne -which Lord Hiram had pronounced “malicious lies spread by the Prince Pharazôn’s minions”-, but the same could not be said about the Island itself. For a long time now, the delicate issue of relations between the Palace and the Temple of Melkor had been at a standstill, with their respective representatives refusing to budge an inch from their respective positions. After many years of rule, the King had decided it was time to stop contemporizing to avoid ruffling the feathers of the powerful clergy and their followers, while the High Priest of Melkor had persisted in his uncompromising attitude. A year or so ago, he had been summoned to the Palace to answer for his slanderous words about the Princess of the West and the royal line; whatever had transpired in this meeting, neither Elendil nor Amandil knew, but Yehimelkor had continued his activities as if nothing had happened. What was worse, his words in the last Festival of the King had been more aggressive than ever, accusing the King openly of betraying the holy legacy of his ancestors, and of becoming the pawn of the godless sect which had long spread its venomous roots from the West of the Island. Elendil could not help but wonder if at least part of this hatred for his line came from his own father’s perceived betrayal long ago, but Amandil himself disagreed with that appreciation. Yehimelkor’s ire was not fuelled by petty slights, this was not how his mind worked, he had told his son more than once. How could he still be so sure that he knew him, so many decades after the High Priest had become nothing but an enemy to them, was something that defeated Elendil entirely.

In any case, Yehimelkor’s words at such an important event had not passed unremarked, which was surely what he had intended. The King had called for his resignation, to which the Temple had replied that for a High Priest of Melkor to resign for any other reason than death or severe illness was unprecedented and therefore impossible. In retaliation, the Palace had finally stopped sending them any funds, which left the Temple in a state of considerable impoverishment. Yehimelkor, however, did not fear poverty, and he had diverted the remaining money and goods destined for the clergy to the celebrations and sacrifices. He was free of the sin of pride, he said -Elendil had to laugh at that-, so he was not afraid of begging at the doorsteps of the citizens of Armenelos for food and clothing. Of course, he did not have to do it, for they had flocked to his doorstep themselves to deposit everything that he needed. Many were real believers, Elendil was sure, but at least part of them must also be perversely interested in the outcome of this unheard-of rebellion.

Tomorrow, the King had gathered the Council for a session where this issue would no doubt be brought to the fore again, and in preparation for it, a smaller council had been gathered that morning. There, all of Tar Palantir’s close kinsmen had thrown abuse at the absent figure of the High Priest, without suggesting a viable solution other than the usual calls for blood and destruction. The King had waved all this away, reminding them that it would be tantamount to playing into Yehimelkor’s hands. For a moment, Lord Zakarbal had been on the brink of calling him weak, and though he had managed to restrain himself in the last moment, Elendil knew that Tar Palantir had heard the unvoiced words in his mind.

He had tried not to speak much, himself, aware that he was merely standing for his father, but Tar Palantir had asked for his opinion several times, perhaps to avoid listening to the others. His father’s contributions to this topic had usually consisted on insights on Yehimelkor’s thoughts and possible reactions to their planned moves, for which he often received looks of deep suspicion. Elendil, however, did not even have that much to contribute. He could agree with the King’s assessment of the situation, but he had no workable solution to propose. And so they sat, and sat, racking their brains, repeating the same things over and over, fighting, digressing, until his head hurt and he almost could not remember why he was there anymore.

When the meeting was called off, he even felt physically tired, though he had not moved from a chair for the entire day. If this was what Amandil had to go through -Amandil, whose restlessness far outstripped his own-, Elendil could not blame him from being unable to hide his eagerness to sail off to the mainland.

As he strode past the corridor, his thoughts were interrupted by the familiar, ear-splitting noise of screams mingled with laughter. Turning on the spot, he sought for their source, and headed towards it.

From his standing position on the doorstep, he was greeted by the sight of Eluzîni and their younger son. She was lying on her back on a rug in the floor, throwing the child in the air and catching him back when he fell. His face was flushed by the exhilaration of engaging in this dangerous pursuit, and his screams became louder and louder as he was tossed higher and higher.

Elendil winced at the sight, feeling an involuntary shock of alarm across his spine. Her hands were so small. Too small for this, by far. But if he came in unannounced now and said something, she could be alarmed and drop him.

“You look terrible”, she said, suddenly pressing Anárion to her chest and pulling herself to a sitting position. He struggled in protest at the interruption. “Don’t complain, you have had enough for now!”

The child disentangled himself from her grasp, and struggled to his feet with a scowl. His balance, he observed, was growing less and less tenuous by the day.

“Hello, Anárion.” Relieved that he was not going to cause an accident anymore, Elendil entered the room, and sat on the floor as well. The child stared at him in silence, then picked up a toy horse and offered it to him solemnly. Eluzîni laughed, ruffling his curly hair before crawling next to Elendil and kissing him.

“Thank you. Your gift is much appreciated.”

Anárion did not answer, but knelt again, and picked up a different toy, a ball this time, which he also offered to him.

“Oh, now you are doomed. He will entrust all his possessions to you, and then he will expect you to play with them.”

“That could well be the most productive thing I do today” he retorted, absently twirling the ball in his fingers until it fell on his lap. “Is Isildur still with your family?”

“Only barely”, Eluzîni picked the ball up herself, and gave it back to Anárion, who shook his head firmly and gave it to Elendil again. “Today he wanted to leave their residence because they were being mean to his friend, and I was put in charge of the peace talks. It was hard diplomacy, but I succeeded in the end. In their defence, I have to say that Malik did break the branch of my uncle’s prized pear tree. Or maybe that was Isildur, but I guess we will never know for sure.”

“You should be the one to parley with High Priest Yehimelkor on the King’s behalf. Maybe you could get them to reach an agreement.”

“Are you joking? That priest gives me the shivers. I would not stand there listening to his talks of doom and destruction even for the King himself.”

By now, a good half of Anárion’s toys were gathered on a pile in Elendil’s lap. A book came to lean rather precariously over the top, bringing them all down with a crash. In a hurry, Elendil began to rearrange them before the child could burst in tears; thankfully, the crisis was averted just in time.

“Is it true, then? Will he be forced to resign in tomorrow’s Council session?”

“He will never be forced to resign. I believe he would rather die. The King can remove him from his post, but as this action, as he puts it, ‘has no precedent’, the clergy and their faithful will be free to ignore it. Short of killing him, imprisoning him, or exiling him to the mainland, I do not think we can be rid of him.”

“And that would not work because in prison he would still be the High Priest, in exile he could join hands with the Prince of the South’s son, and dead… remind me, what could go wrong if he was dead? It does seem like the simplest solution.”

“His death would fire the embers of a large-scale revolt against the Sceptre, the King says. That is why he may be trying his utmost to die, but he will not be given the pleasure.” Anárion had finished in his task, and was now staring at him expectantly. With a sigh of resignation, Elendil picked up the ball and threw it several times into the air to catch it, then passed it to him. The child tried to imitate him: somehow, the ball ended up in the opposite end of the room.

“I will go” Eluzîni proclaimed, standing up. “You look so dreadful that I am feeling sorry for you.”

Elendil could not see why Anárion could not go himself, as he had been picking things from the floor until a moment ago, but apparently his game followed a mysterious set of rules which stated that this was no longer his responsibility.

As he was pondering this, the child suddenly sat on his leg without a warning, sending a painful jolt up his spine. Smothering a groan, Elendil tried to rearrange his weight away from his nearly dislocated knee. Anárion promptly started to cry and fuss, as if he had been the one to be hurt.

“What if his death was made to look like an accident?” Eluzîni shouted above the noise, from the other side of the rug. Elendil’s eyes widened. Sometimes, he was not quite sure whether she was being serious or not.

“That is something that the Former King would do. Tar Palantir does not want to be like his father in any way. And nobody would believe in that accident to begin with, so we would be having the same problem in the end.” He frowned at her. “Eluzîni, you know that my father would not be pleased to hear you making such suggestions.”

“I will never understand how he could grow up with that man and not hate him.”

“Perhaps because he was the best choice he was offered.”

“The only choice.” The child’s whining became quieter; he was obviously falling asleep, very much in spite of himself. Elendil hesitated between handing him over to his mother and risk upsetting him again or waiting it out. In the end, he chose the second option.

“Precisely. When all the other choices are death, how can you not be grateful for the only one who offered life?”

“That reminds me. “Eluzîni sat at his side again; her hand started tracing circles on the young child’s back. “If it had depended on him, you would not have been offered life, would you?”

Elendil did not reply.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

They did see land on the following day, just as Queen Earnissë had predicted. Shortly before noon, they were crossing the island where the former colony of Gadir once stood, now a mass of charred ruin where only a small population of fishermen had remained. The sight of it was something that Amandil would never grow used to, he thought, trying to avert his gaze as much as he could but somehow failing in his purpose. He was not the only one: everyone, from sailors to soldiers to members of the retinue, seemed to have grown collectively distracted. The volume of their voices abated, and the resulting quiet seemed to be brimming with unsaid things.

Or mostly unsaid.

“That is what happens when you put a ruthless butcher in charge of the situation”, Prince Vorondil remarked aloud. Amandil had been given weeks of practice on biting his tongue, so it barely hurt anymore.

In his stead, it was the Queen who spoke. She had just appeared on deck, looking quite uncomfortable in a blue and silver robe whose folds trailed behind her steps, and a crown of sapphires in her head.

“It was found to have been an accident. The Prince Pharazôn did not mean for the city to be destroyed.”

“Oh, yes, because he has never destroyed anything, has he? He is a peaceful sort.”

“Only the enemies of Númenor.” Eärnissë’s tone brooked no argument this time, and even the Prince was able to perceive it. She shook her head.

“Are we risking the journey upriver on these ships, Lord Amandil? I have never tried it. Back in my day, we did not have to go past Gadir, though the King says that it was done in the past, and that the river is wide enough until Pelargir.”

“It appears that it can be attempted without problem, my Queen”, Amandil bowed. “For prudence’s sake, however, we will go one by one, and our ship will be the last.”

She was so fascinated by the manoeuvre that she remained on deck as they fell in formation and entered the mouth of the Anduin. If she could, he had no doubt that she would have climbed the mast, too, to have a better view. After the words they had exchanged on the previous night, he could now recognize her look as that of a woman who chafed under the restrictions that her robe, her dignity and ceremony had placed upon her.

The sun was beginning to decline as they finally reached the place where the new colony of Pelargir was ensconced in a fork between two rivers. Amandil took a sharp breath as it appeared in full view, remembering the desolate ruins where he and his men had arrived years ago, and the makeshift fort they had been painstakingly building for a year, only to have the minions of Sauron attack it as soon as his back was turned.

None of this was visible now, and it almost seemed like it could have not existed except in a nightmare, of those that showed the world falling apart in abject decay. In partnership with his father’s Elvish friends, Pelargir had been rebuilt exactly as it had been in its heyday, as Amandil had seen it in the King’s crystal model once: full of white houses, high towers, beautiful, meandering channels that criss-crossed the town centre like streets, and an imposing harbour where many different types of merchandise was unloaded from ships and river barges.

As they entered the harbour, however, those activities had largely stopped, and a large throng of people had gathered on the docks, awaiting their arrival. The city council of settlers was at the front, gathered around the captain of the first ship of the expedition, who seemed to be updating them on their progress. Queen Eärnissë wordlessly beckoned at Prince Vorondil, and both walked towards the forecastle, where they stood conspicuously under the eyes of a thousand Númenóreans. Someone cheered, and the cue was picked up by others close by, until the echo of welcoming cries reverberated across the entire harbour, echoed by the passengers of the ships themselves.

It was a grandiose, joyful sight, Amandil thought. It almost made him forget how many men had died here, and how many others had died in the island beyond, some fighting in their ships, others lost to the merciless flames. Perhaps this city of Pelargir had been built as a testament to this sobering truth: that to build something beautiful and enduring much needed to be sacrificed. And thus sacrifice is the beginning and end of all things, and nothing in this world can exist without it, Yehimelkor would have nodded triumphantly, standing under the dome of his temple. The King claims to deny it, but deep inside his heart, he knows.

Wondering how even the most momentous occasions could trigger such morbid thoughts in his mind, Amandil swallowed a curse and shook himself awake from this momentary stupor. They would be anchored in a moment, and then he, too, would have to leave the ship under the stares of many. Though the new city was largely unknown to him, he was well-known in it: many of the settlers had come from his lands, and his father had been a frequent visitor since the beginning of the building process. Many would want to greet him, or even catch a glimpse of him, so he would have to stand tall and proud, and bury his misgivings so deep inside him that even he would forget they were there.

Quietly, he raised his eyes to meet the challenge.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“This is the city hall, where the Council meets. Of course, we are not constituted in an official capacity yet. We are merely a provisory authority until the city’s foundation ceremonies are achieved.” The head of the city council seemed quite apologetic as he showed them around, as if actually afraid of having usurped an authority to which he had no right. Even after the Queen had smiled at him several times, and told him that the King understood their need to organize themselves on the spot to deal with the most pressing concerns of the city’s running, he still seemed to need reminding them of the issue every once in a while. Amandil wondered how long it would take for him and the others to grow as proud as the Merchant Princes of Gadir, who would ally themselves with the Dark Lord to wage war against the Sceptre.

Gadir, again. For a city whose name was so little mentioned, it seemed to be very much present in everyone’s mind still. Most of the survivors from the broken city had settled in Umbar, but some had gone back to Númenor, to live in Sor, and a number of them had chosen to settle here, in the new city whose very construction they had so bitterly opposed. Amandil was not able to prevent himself from asking about it.

“We leave in peace and harmony with each other in this city, no matter what our origins are or the nature of our beliefs” the city councilman replied, proudly. It had the air of a rehearsed answer, but not necessarily an untrue one. Tar Palantir had wanted the city to be settled by the Faithful, but on his way there Amandil had seen a small temple of Melkor that had probably not been there in the original Elven design.

It figured. As long as they were a minority, they would be well-behaved and respect those that they had once persecuted, lest the situation became reversed and they were persecuted themselves. In time, they might even abandon their habits from a former life to mingle better in their new society, or so Tar Palantir must have thought. This model of peaceful assimilation had been his cherished dream for the Island, as Amandil knew, but there it was proving to be far more difficult to achieve. And here, it was only so easy because of the devastation that had been wrought in the past.

“I would have forced them to abandon those barbaric gods of theirs if they wanted to settle here” Prince Vorondil said. The city councilman looked chagrined, so much that Eärnissë took pity on him.

“This cannot be done in certain territories only”, she argued. “You cannot forbid something in Pelargir and allow it in Umbar or in Armenelos. We are one kingdom, under one Sceptre.”

“The day this decision is left to me, I will forbid it everywhere”, he retorted. For a moment, a flicker of something passed through the Queen’s eyes, giving Amandil pause.

“The decision will be left to Míriel”, she said, in a cold voice.

“So”, The head of the city council felt that it was his duty to break the tension somehow. “What will be the Queen’s schedule for tomorrow?”

“The Queen’s schedule will involve meeting her guests of honour” Eärnissë said herself, before Amandil even managed to open his mouth. “Tonight, Prince Vorondil, Lord Amandil and myself will dine with the native envoys, and tomorrow we will be meeting them one by one. I trust my chambers are equipped with an adequate room for audiences.”

“Of course, my Queen.” The man bowed. “I will send word to the delegation from the Kingdom of Arne; the Queen Valentia arrived only this morning.”

“The Queen Valentia?” Vorondil asked, rather pointedly.

“Oh, yes, my lord prince.” The man did not seem to interpret the meaning of his tone correctly. “She is in quite good shape, in spite of her age. For a barbarian, at least! A formidable woman, indeed.”

Vorondil crossed glances with Amandil, who smiled mirthlessly. Perhaps the rumours, whatever the source for them had been, were not so ludicrous after all.

“We will go and ready ourselves for the evening. “Eärnissë said to the councilman. “Thank you for showing us around.”

“It has been a great honour and pleasure, my Queen!” he protested, with a deep bow. “Should you be in need of something, anything at all, send word to me and I shall be very glad to provide it for you!”

“Then send cheese and wine to my quarters, so I can dine there and not in a long table with Queen Valentia” she muttered just within Amandil’s earshot, as they made their way through the stone stairways. Prince Vorondil was incensed, as usual.

“She should be Queen Dowager Valentia, if she must be called a Queen at all. And she has no business meeting with us as if she was the ruler of her kingdom!”

Amandil had the brief temptation of reminding him that none of them were rulers of their kingdom, but he withstood it. He did not want to offend the Prince, and he also had to admit that the concern he had raised was a valid one.

“My Queen, I trust you know that there have been rumours…” he began.

“…spread by the circle of the Prince of the South, whose son wants to occupy Arne and rule it himself…”

“…but worth taking into account nonetheless, given the circumstances…”

“…which claim that Valentia has given a coup and is ruling Arne illegally, against the will of the Sceptre”, Vorondil finished. Queen Eärnissë blinked, then shrugged.

“I do not think that is very likely, is it? If it was, we would have heard something more definite. After all, we have an alliance…”

“Last time, we were allied with them as well, and it managed to escape us that they had made a deal with the Dark Lord, my Queen”, Amandil reminded her. Eärnissë shook her head.

“But Phaleris is alive! We would have heard of his death.”

“There are many ways of usurping a throne without killing” Vorondil claimed, darkly. “I believe it would be of great service for our realm if we used this meeting to try to glean some information from the Arnian delegation.”

Amandil had to agree with him.

“Perhaps you could extend your hand in friendship, my Queen, and get her to talk to you.”

Eärnissë laughed.

“She will not fall for that, not in a million years! From what they say about her, she has been ruling for a long time, so I am sure that she knows every trick by this point.”

“She is only a barbarian! You were Queen before she was even born.” Vorondil snorted in contempt. Amandil shook his head.

“The Queen is right in this, a woman such as her should not be taken lightly. She will try not to surrender a word of compromising information.”

“And what if she is ruling?” Eärnissë laid her hands on her hips; not a very queenly pose, but she seemed to be done with stateliness for a while. “Would that be such a disaster? Phaleris was young and unexperienced when he was put on the throne; perhaps with him there, the kingdom would have been torn apart. If this arrangement serves us, what is the problem?”

The Lord of Andúnië stared at her, in shock. He had not expected this kind of talk from her.

“She is still a usurper! The King named Phaleris King of Arne after his uncle, this woman’s brother, not to say the foul word husband, lost all his rights on the battlefield!” Vorondil hissed. “If what they say is true, it cannot be tolerated under any circumstance!”

“We do not know what has happened there, my Queen,” Amandil explained. “The Arnian court has quite an infamous reputation, and if the rumours are true, Phaleris could have been imprisoned, or drugged, or threatened. He could have been forced to marry his cousin…”

“…which would be incest in the eyes of the Valar!”

“… and as soon as he has two children who can marry each other, as his people’s former customs demanded, he still could lose his life.” Amandil finished, forcing himself to nod politely at the Prince’s interruption. Eärnissë looked at him, thoughtfully.

“I see” she conceded. Her eyes, however, still seemed slightly unfocused, as if she was pondering something. “Well, I can certainly try to speak with her. Perhaps our imagination is running ahead of us. She might be here only because the King of Arne cannot leave his capital, just as the King of Númenor cannot leave the Island.”

“It could be” Amandil nodded. “She is, after all, a member of the King’s family.”

“But then, why was this man calling her Queen?”

To this question, Amandil had to admit that he did not have an answer.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

That evening, the hall where the Council used to meet was transformed into an enormous dining room. Long wooden tables were dragged there, together with thrones, chairs, and benches of many shapes and sizes. Embroidered tablecloths were set to cover them, and above them dishes and dishes of the best Middle-Earth could produce, including some exotic dishes from the guests’s own lands. In a raised throne at the head table, Queen Eärnissë was presiding over it all. Now and then, she smiled to the people who greeted and addressed her, but as soon as she was left alone, she went back to the taciturn expressions that Amandil had grown used to see since they were aboard the ship.

Valentia was the last of the foreign dignitaries to enter the hall. After she was announced, she crossed the threshold with a slow, even pace that conveyed the majesty of her station. Her outfit was as ornate as the gold and silver embroidered mantles of the Lady of the Cave, and it dragged heavily behind her footsteps as she walked, while her head was covered in a long silvery veil, whose folds fell over her countenance and her hair. If the idea of this had been to shield her from the looks of strangers, however, it had not succeeded very well: the fabric was so transparent that, as she approached them, Amandil could see even the tiniest wrinkle upon her forehead. Her face, handsome enough in the distance, bore the telltale signs of heavy makeup in close quarters, and he guessed that her black mane of hair had probably been dyed as well.

What had Pharazôn told him once about this woman? That she had thrown herself at him before her husband’s body had even rotted, he remembered. That she had wanted to rule Arne by his side -or rather, rule Arne, using him as accessory. She had been good looking enough back then, his friend had also admitted, but he would not have bedded her if she was the only woman left alive on the face of Earth.

“Queen Eärnissë” she said in a vibrant voice, prostrating herself on the floor. In this position, she suddenly reminded him of someone he thought he had forgotten, her traitorous brother, in that first meeting they both held in the harbour town on the banks of the Anduin. “Prince Vorondil, Lord Amandil. I come into your presence in the hopes of obtaining your favour and your goodwill towards the people of Arne.”

“You are the Lady Valentia.” Not Queen Valentia, Amandil remarked, but she did not seem foolish enough as to challenge this title. Her gaze remained fixed on the floor, like that of the pilgrims that knelt on the sanctuary of the Forbidden Bay begging for the Lady’s forgiveness of their sins. “Please, rise. I welcome you to Pelargir in the name of the Númenórean Sceptre. Bring her a chair!”

In a smooth move, Amandil slid over to the left, leaving enough room for Valentia to be seated at the Queen’s side. On her other side, Vorondil did not seem very happy with this, but he seemed to be ready to take it stoically for the sake of the higher purpose. Eärnissë nodded encouragingly, pushing a goblet of wine into her guest’s hand. They could not strike a deeper contrast, Amandil thought, as he watched the two queens smile tentatively at each other: the tall Númenórean, with her bare, open face that was not even able to hide her own discomfort, and the short, devious Arnian, with all her makeup and her veils.

Drinking a long swallow from his own cup, he leaned back and briefly pressed his fingers against his forehead, forcing himself to discard the memories of Noxaris.

 

Ancient Ceremonies II

Read Ancient Ceremonies II

The first week passed by in a flurry of activities, both private audiences and public ceremonies. Amandil’s agenda was not as full as that of his royal companions, but even he was beset by a large number of requirements from both the high and the low. Some came looking for guidance in matters of worship, as they were trying to organize some semblance of a civic cult around the Valar. Though it was not the first time that he was invited to intervene in religious matters, it still bothered him that anyone could believe he had answers for questions which had been eluding him since he was a child. He settled for his usual standard platitudes, claiming that everything was good if it was done in good faith, and prayed silently that Prince Vorondil would be too busy to interfere in such minor questions.

The logistics involved in installing the new settlers, on the other hand, were complicated and tedious, but he already had plenty of experience in that department, having been at least partly in charge of the Andustar back when the Exiles were struggling to build new lives in the West of the Island. He was also generous with his advice in defensive matters, for he was well aware that, in spite of the King’s efforts to have his project evolve into something new and different from the previous Númenórean strongholds in the mainland, the city was still a colony. He did not know whether the old lore Tar Palantir relied so much upon mentioned the reason why the Pelargir of old had been abandoned in favour of an island in the middle of the Bay, but he was certain that the threat of war had played a role in it. Right now, the new citizens knew nothing but peace and prosperity -bought at a great cost, by civil strife and the slaughter of many Númenórean soldiers on foreign lands- but, if the rumours held at least a part of truth, this state of things could end as abruptly as it had started.

Queen Eärnissë, on her part, seemed to have taken to heart their suggestion that she befriend Valentia, to the point of finding time to meet her in private every day for the last week. Still, Amandil was not sure that she was the right person to wheedle information out of others. Since the first time he had seen her, in that quiet garden of the Palace in Armenelos, she had struck him as a deeply honest person, someone whose emotions were written clearly over her face. If she was happy, she laughed; if she was concerned, she frowned, and if she was angry, she did not hide the cause of her displeasure, or shied away from confronting the guilty party. She hid nothing, not even the haunting look of unhappiness which had been in her eyes during their journey here, he thought, remembering how she had leaned on the railing to gaze at the horizon at nightfall, and the words she had confided to him, on those unguarded moments before their arrival.

His presumptuous attempts at comfort.

Ashamed at the memories, he forced himself to discard them, and focused on the scene right above him. On the terrace, right behind the intricate panels of painted latticework, he could distinguish the tall shape of the Queen and the shorter one of her guest. They seemed to be deep in conversation, but not even Eärnissë’s louder tones could reach him from that distance. Now and then, the murmur of their words was punctuated by a crystalline titter, which he recognized as Valentia’s laughter, as delicately false as any in the court of Armenelos.

As he stood there, he saw the shapes retreat from his sight, and shortly afterwards one of them -the Queen- came back alone. The sounds of conversation did not reach his ears anymore, so he assumed that Valentia must have departed. Then, Eärnissë disappeared as well, and the terrace was empty once more.

For a moment, he pondered his next move. He had a meeting with the wall builders at midday, and he had been heading for his rooms to change his clothes, but strictly speaking that was not an essential requirement. Whatever Prince Vorondil might believe, these people were not likely to censure him for coming before them in the same clothes with which he had been down at the harbour previously.

Instead of that, he could use his spare time to visit, and ask her if any progress had been made.

His decision already made, Amandil entered the building. A throng of aides, courtiers and secretaries had already gathered in the inner courtyard, but he walked past them, reassuring them that he would be on time. As he climbed the stairs in the direction of the Queen’s chambers, he found no one at first - Valentia must have already taken her sizeable escort with her-, but when he passed the first room, he saw one of the Númenórean ladies standing before a closed door.

“Greetings, Lord Amandil. Is there anything that you require?” she asked.

“I am here to see the Queen”, he replied. She shook her head.

“She cannot see you now”, she said, politely but firmly. “I am sorry, but you will have to wait.”

Amandil pondered briefly whether it would be any use to tell her that he was in a hurry. Deciding against it, he took a seat, considering the closed door with a curious frown. After a while, as the lady left him alone and her footsteps died somewhere in the adjacent piece, he thought he could hear the silence broken by the sound of a voice. He tried to decipher it, but the wooden door was too well wrought. All he could gather from his efforts was that it belonged to the Queen, and that she spoke in a terse manner, sometimes evolving into anger, but he did not know which words were spoken, or to whom. Perhaps Vorondil was here, though he was supposed to be overseeing the preparations for tonight’s grand ceremony -the lighting of the city hearth with fire brought from Númenor, which would in turn be used to light the hearths of all the particular homes-, but Amandil could not distinguish his voice.

Finally, just as he was thinking of leaving for his appointment, the door opened. Amandil expected to be blinded by the light, for the sun shone through the windows of that airy chamber at that time of day, but to his surprise there was only darkness inside, and the Queen had to blink to grow used to the incoming radiance. When she saw him standing there, she seemed to not recognize him at first, and stood staring at him in what seemed like an eternity of time.

“It is me, my Queen”, he broke the silence before it could become uncomfortable. She nodded, and as she did so, her strange mood seemed to vanish.

“I see. And why are you here, Lord Amandil? I hope it is not as a bringer of bad news.”

“There is no such thing as bad news in Pelargir.” Amandil smiled, as the lady passed them by in silence and entered the Queen’s chambers. From the noises that she made, Amandil gathered that she was opening the windows. “There is only community, prosperity, and peace.”

“Yes, Valentia was just telling me that” Earnissë grinned wryly. “That this city is like a dream city. That the Arnians were in awe of it, and believed it to be a paradise built by the gods.”

“I suppose they mean the Elves. Even the Arnians should be aware that we are as far from godhood ourselves as anyone could be.”

“No, we merely descend from the gods.” Eärnissë gestured him to follow her. “In the seventh generation, to be precise. I have no idea where those calculations came from.”

“They also believe that a queen of Arne slept with a prince of Númenor long ago, and that the royal family was descended from him. I assume it was a Merchant Prince.”

“Or perhaps the elder son of Ar Adunakhôr. There were rumours about him which would fit in this story, but I do not believe he ever came this far North. Not to mention that most of those rumours were probably never true, except in his father’s imagination.”

“If anyone from the line of Elros had been among the ancestors of this people, they would live much longer lives, and their descent would be obvious to all.” Amandil sat in a chair before the Queen; as he did so, his eyes fell upon a bundle that lay upon the ivory table, gathered in the folds of a heavy purple cloth. Distracted from the conversation, he could not prevent himself from staring at it.

Eärnissë had obviously noticed, but she chose not to comment.

“Indeed, you are right, but they are a proud people, with proud beliefs. But tell me, Lord Amandil, why are you here then, if not to bring me news?”

He had to struggle to take his eyes away from that spot and recover the thread of his thoughts. For the interval that it took for him to do all this, she merely gazed at him in silence.

“I could not help but notice, as I passed by, that the Lady Valentia was here with you. And I have to confess, my Queen, that my curiosity finally had the better of me.”

“I see”. Eärnissë did not smile. “You wish to know if I have any new information concerning those… rumours.”

“Yes.”

“In that case, you must be glad to know that they are proving to be quite baseless. She is here merely as the surrogate mother of the King, who rules from his seat of Arne even as we speak. He is happily married to his cousin, who has recently borne him a daughter.”

Once again, Amandil had some difficulty repressing his memories of Noxaris.

“Is there any proof of this, beyond her own words and those of her servants?”

Her voice suddenly grew so cold that Amandil could almost believe that the temperature in the room had dropped with it.

“Is there any proof to the contrary, beyond the words of the Prince of the South, his son, and their friends?”

He had not expected to provoke such a strong reaction, in a lady who had never shown him any sign of hostility in the past, so he had to weigh his words very carefully before he spoke next.

“I did not mean to offend, my Queen. I am aware that rumours are not a firm basis for judgement, but I am also acquainted with the Arnian people, and I know that their capabilities for deceit are great. Both her brothers were infamous traitors….”

“… and they died for it. Would you imagine someone as cautious as the Lady Valentia wishing to follow their example in any way, when she enjoys power, honour, safety and riches in her current position?”

Perhaps she was right. Perhaps he was being unfair because of his past experiences -or even unduly trusting of the source of such rumours. Pharazôn was his friend, yes, but Pharazôn was also ambitious, and the most cherished of his ambitions was to attack Mordor, something which he believed he should have been allowed to attempt in the past. Taking over Arne, the kingdom that lay at the very gates of the dark lands, would serve his purpose admirably, while the continued existence of its royal bloodline was nothing but an obstacle and an unnecessary risk. He could almost imagine Pharazôn laying this before him in such a reasonable manner that Amandil would be forced to agree with it. But then, what would happen if Pharazôn actually conquered Arne and attacked Mordor? If he lost, it could be a catastrophe of the greatest proportions for Númenor… while, if he won

Suddenly, he became aware that his curiosity had been misplaced since the beginning. He should not have been eager for information on the Queen’s conversations with Valentia, but rather of the Queen’s conversations in the dark room, behind closed doors. And this was, of course, out of the question.

He would have to keep his thoughts to himself.

“Forgive me, my Queen. I have intruded unduly upon matters which do not fall under my responsibility”, he apologized, automatically searching in his mind for words which Elendil would have uttered in a similar situation. His son was a much better model than Pharazôn right now, given the circumstances.  “And I did not mean to doubt your abilities as a judge of character. Common wisdom dictates that our past mistakes should humble us, while mine appear to have made me prouder.”

Eärnissë was gracious.

“Say no more, Lord Amandil. We all make mistakes, and most of us do not even admit them. If someone other than you had been in charge of that expedition, they would have refused to see any blame in their own actions, and many would agree with them. I have always found this an admirable trait of yours, and the King does, too.”

“It is admirable, as long as it does not get out of hand.” At long last, he could see a smile break in her features, and he sighed in relief. Standing on his feet, he eyed the way back to the waiting chamber with a small show of apprehension. “And I am grieved to confess that I cannot find any further excuses to avoid my duties.”

“Then go, and perform them to the best of your abilities. We will meet at dusk for the ceremony.”

Amandil bowed, and took his leave.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The ceremony was as haunting and impressive as Inziladûn had imagined, back when he had consulted his old scrolls in the Palace of Armenelos and tried to picture it in his mind. Keeping the fire going for such a long journey had not proved an easy task, but the results had compensated for the hardships. Zarhil was sure that he would be very satisfied with her account, perhaps also a little regretful that he was not able to see with his own eyes how a thousand torches marched across the city, each of them holding a tiny spark of the Island to be kindled into a thousand hearths full of hope for the future. See, it was worth it, he would say. The wars, the deaths, the troubles in the Council and in our own family. It was all worth it, and more.

Zarhil watched in stony silence as men and women drank, danced and celebrated in the large square below. The noise, she knew, would not allow her to sleep tonight. In her youth, she had not been very fond of those pursuits, but she still would have joined them, and probably drunk herself to a stupor to get rid of her embarrassment. A Queen of Númenor, however, could not even do this much, so she had withdrawn as soon as the ceremony was over.

Yes, perhaps it had been worth it, she thought. With all those troubles assailing the Island at every turn since Inziladûn inherited the Sceptre, it was more necessary than ever to have a victory, not in war, but a moral victory, which could prove that the King’s efforts were not doomed to failure, and that he was following the right path. If that victory had to be far away, in the mainland, or if it had to be achieved at a great cost, so be it; they could not afford to be deterred by such minor considerations. And if this cost had not yet been paid in full…

Zarhil bristled, her warm hands twisting around the cold lattice. She had not been born for this. He had, and for all that he claimed to be beset by inner turmoil, he had no difficulty whatsoever in silencing it whenever it was time to make a decision he believed to be necessary for his plans. Because he was certain that he was right, and the rest of the mortals could do nothing but trust in his infallible judgement. His visions, which came to him in his dreams, showed him the path they all had to tread in his wake. Their daughter could be overwhelmed by her gift of foresight, she could be unable to lead a normal life, but not him, never him: he was a master of prophecy, and not the other way around; he alone knew how to prevent things and how to have them come to pass. Back when he had been younger, and true uncertainty still had the power to devour him, she remembered feeling sympathy, and trying to help him in any way that she could. But that Inziladûn had left long ago, his place taken by Palantir; and Palantir no longer had any use for such petty emotions.

No use for uncertainty, no use for sympathy… no use for love even, for had he ever truly loved? He might have loved his mother once, before she died when he was still in his early years, or that young woman who had been ripped from him by their marriage, but Zarhil wondered if he was even able to remember their faces anymore. All the others were just tools for his purposes, be they family or friends, and his own daughter he saw as an enemy. Sometimes, it was frightening to realize how utterly alone he stood, even though he was surrounded by people all day long.

That was the worst of all, she thought. Even after everything, even now, she still felt sympathy for him. And she was still helping him.

“My lady”, a voice spoke behind her back. “You wished to see me.”

“Yes”. Slowly, she turned away from the sight under the balcony. Valentia stood a mere step away from the threshold, far enough to be seen but not close enough to seem intrusive. The light of the full moon fell upon her features, freed from the curious transparent veil which she was always careful to wear in public. Somehow, it made her appear younger than she had under other kinds of light. “Have a seat, please.”

The sound of heavy robes dragged through the floor silenced the sound of her footsteps, causing an eerie impression which Zarhil had not yet managed to grow used to. She approached the small table, carrying a second chair to sit in front of the barbarian woman.

“It sounds like they are having fun down there”, Valentia remarked, with a ghost of a smile. “Carrying fire seems to have kindled their spirits.”

“I think it was mostly the drink”, she replied, her shoulders contorting in an almost imperceptible shrug.

“Back in Arne, we would be having a separate party inside the Palace.”

“Oh, but we are a little too old to party, don’t you think?” Zarhil said, perhaps rather indelicately. As she was planning to be far more indelicate that night, however, she did not think much of it. “There are things which should be left to the younger generations, such as revelling drunkenly, or scheming to hold on to power at any cost.”

To her credit, Valentia merely blinked at this.

“I see that the Queen of Númenor has been listening to rumours.”

There were people who enjoyed this game, but Zarhil was already bored before it had started. She had no more time to waste with this affair.

“Once, we were not vigilant, and we paid a heavy price for it. Did you think that the Númenórean Sceptre would commit the same mistake twice? No, Queen Valentia. Not even you would have been so careless. You would also have sent spies and gathered information about the most secret moves of your allies.” Now, she had her undivided attention. “King Phaleris is a prisoner in his own palace, is he not? You rule through your daughter, as rumour has it, and as soon as the children you are forcing them to have are grown enough, you will try to rule through them, too.”

For a moment, she thought that Valentia was going to deny everything. Apparently, however, she had underestimated her mettle once more. Amandil was right; it was easy to underestimate these people, and perhaps that was their greatest asset.

“With all my respects, Queen Eärnissë, my husband was a traitor. He died for it, quite rightfully, as did my other brother and his grown children. However, once that the price had been paid for all our sins, there was still a realm, a shaken, impoverished, half-destroyed realm to be ruled.” She laid both her palms on the table before her, as if she was inspecting her fingernails for possible imperfections while she spoke. “And there was no ruler. First, we had two Númenórean governors who knew little about us and cared less still. And then, we had a Númenórean king whose ignorance and disregard for our ways was enough to make his predecessors seem enlightened.”

“He is an Arnian. The rightful Arnian king, my lady.”

“Not anymore!” The normally even voice was slightly raised, evidencing a passion that was not feigned for once. “He was raised in the ways of Númenor, and felt nothing but contempt for his own people. Something had to be done, and I did it.”

“Something like committing treason against the Sceptre for the second time, you mean?”

“He is the king of Arne! He lives in the Palace and is married to my daughter. He hasn’t been harmed.”

“Yet”, Zarhil retorted. Valentia opened her mouth again, but she was faster. “And what about the lord of Mordor? Did he pledge to protect you, like he did to your husband?”

Valentia’s reaction to this was as heated as it was immediate.

“I swear by all the Baalim and Eru their father that I have not been in contact with Mordor!” Her gaze sought hers vividly, in a way that was almost desperate. “You have to believe me.”

Their capabilities for deceit are great.

But he was greater than them, wasn’t he?

“The King believes you.” For a moment, she saw a brief spell of relief cross the barbarian woman’s eyes, but it was short-lived, as they immediately grew alert again in anticipation of her next words. “For you must remember the disastrous consequences of the last time you were in communication with him. The Prince Pharazôn defeated both his army and yours. He killed your husband and most of your family, and though you have grown old in the meantime, he has not aged a day. If you give him the opportunity, he will be only too glad to finish what he started, destroy the rest of you and claim Arne for himself as a stepstone to conquer Mordor.”

Valentia swallowed deeply. Under the moonlight, her face looked ashen, but composed.

“I remember”, she whispered. Zarhil frowned at her.

“That is why you must not give him that opportunity.”

It was almost unbearable to see how her opponent’s countenance changed, from defensiveness to disbelief, and then hope. Silently, she cursed herself, Pharazôn, and above all, Inziladûn.

“The King does not want the Prince Pharazôn in Arne” she said, barely managing to keep the self-disgust at bay. “He needs Arne to stand by itself, loyal but strong. If King Phaleris causes it to fall apart with his misrule, or if some evil befalls him and words of your treason spread, the outcome would be the same in both cases. The Prince Pharazôn would be the one to benefit from the situation.”

“And the King does not want him to… benefit from the situation” Valentia finished for her. Her voice now flowed much more easily than it did before, and it almost seemed to Zarhil that she could detect a gleam of triumph in her eyes.

“Obviously not.” How appalled would Lord Amandil be, if he was listening to this conversation? What ruckus would Prince Vorondil be raising at this outrageous decision? And her nephew, Hiram, who had raised the boy himself… but no, she could not afford to be sidetracked by any of those thoughts. “You must keep Arne together, Queen Valentia. And above all, you cannot draw Númenor’s attention to what is happening there. This means, no scandals, no untoward alliances, and above all, no deaths. The King is not the only one to have spies in Arne. If something, anything happens to your nephew, Pharazôn will know as well as us. And then the King will claim that he knew nothing of this, and there will be war, and you will not survive it this time. Do you understand?”

What a stupid question, the thought came to her mind. It was something between a threat and a plea; in short, anything but what it pretended to be. The speech used in both Court and Council was full of such subterfuges and double meanings, but she had never belonged there.

She belonged in the Sea.

“I understand, Queen Eärnissë, my lady. And I thank you for your sincerity.”

If she had her sincerity, Zarhil thought, and had it truly, instead of this travesty of a frank conversation, she would not appreciate it so much.

“You may go now. I wish to have some rest.”

Before, Valentia would have lingered, looking for some parting remark which Zarhil could find both witty and enjoyable. But back then, she had been trying to win her favour, while now she was basking in the knowledge that she had acquired something much better. Favour was given or taken on a whim, but an admission of mutual need was not so easily reclaimed.

That night, for the third time in that week, Zarhil dreamed of a great storm. At first, she was scared of it, for she could feel the hull of her ship stir, as if about to break under her feet, but a fierce exhilaration won in the end, and she unfurled the sails to ride it towards freedom.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Usually, Tar Palantir crossed the threshold of the Council chamber before the announcements had been finished, a sign of impatience which his enemies derided as undignified and unbecoming a King of Númenor. Today, however, he was even faster than usual, almost as if he was some kind of beast on a rampage, charging blindly against all that stood in its way. As he reached his seat, he barely paused for a moment, before continuing on his path until he was standing before the High Priest of Melkor. Murmurations broke around them, like a distant, threatening noise heralding the arrival of a great storm.

Yehimelkor looked up from his seat, fixing his grey eyes on his. As usual, there was no fear to be found in them, though many others would have been quivering by this point. Such behaviour, once that it was displayed by the King, could not be taken back: it had to claim a victim, or else the majesty of the Sceptre would dissolve like a morning fog. From his vantage point in the back, Elendil blinked, hoping that Tar Palantir had calculated well what was bound to happen from that moment onwards.

“Lord Yehimelkor, you have disobeyed a direct order from the Sceptre, how dare you walk into the Council of Númenor and sit among us? The only reason why you have not been arrested at the gates of the Palace is that I wished to hear what you had to say for yourself.”

As usual, Yehimelkor did not need an interpreter to translate for him; not even as a subterfuge to gain time.

“You are quite right, my lord King. I should not be here. And yet, I have come, because it is necessary for a Council member to resign in person before the King and his peers -a praiseworthy attempt, no doubt, of your royal ancestors to ensure that all such resignations were the outcome of free will, not coercion.”

Elendil had certainly not expected that answer, and neither had the King, though he was the only one in the whole room who managed to hide his surprise with some degree of success. The whispers rose to a higher intensity, to the point that the speaker had to call them to order.

“Are you resigning from this Council?”

Since the time of Ar Adunakhôr, no High Priest of Melkor had ever left the Council, whether of his free will or not. It was completely unprecedented in history, at least as unprecedented as it was to see High Priest Yehimelkor retreat willingly from any battlefield where he had ever stood.

Surely, he had to know that the only tenuous link between the Temple and political power was this Council seat, didn´t he? Elendil wondered. He had already lost his favour and his wealth, could he afford to surrender this, too? Had he finally cracked, and decided that nothing, not even the interests of the god which he had so fiercely defended, was worth his life after all?

He was not the only one who was pondering these questions. As Yehimelkor stood up and spoke, everybody fell silent at once, as if afraid to miss even a single one of his words.

“In the time of your forefather, the Lord of the West, the High Priest of Melkor became part of this council in order to advise the King with the wisdom imparted on him by his communion with the King of Armenelos. For generations, my predecessors and I have fulfilled our duty to the best of our ability. Now, for the first time, it has become impossible to do so. For the King of Armenelos is your enemy, and you will not pay heed to any of those who worship him.” His voice was loud and clear, and Elendil could not help but notice that some of the Council members, those who remained loyal to their old ways, were growing uncomfortable at his words. “There are two choices left to me: one, to renounce my duty but remain here, measure my words to avoid offence, and use my seat to support my own advancement and earthly ambitions. The other is to walk away, and use whatever wisdom I still possess to help my people, instead of having my words continue to fall on deaf ears.”

Now, that bastard did not only have courage, he was also a consummate player. Elendil had to hand it to him, and as he stole a passing glance at the King’s face, he thought that Tar Palantir would have to do so as well. According to the priest’s teachings, a man had to be ready to let go of everything to do the God’s will; only then he would triumph in his endeavours. So far, they had been focusing on whether he would be able to let go of his own life, but sacrificing himself in that way would have been too crude and, in a sense, cowardly. Surrendering his political power, however, would cast him in a similar light, as an innocent victim of tyranny, while at the same time it left him alive and free to act away from the King’s grasp. The risk of crumbling into irrelevancy, once that he let go of his foothold on the Court, would have scared lesser men, but not him: deep inside, he must know that it was not necessary.

Meanwhile, Tar Palantir’s frown was the only evidence of his furious thinking. If he had been in his position, Elendil would have considered denying the request, as this would negate his enemy’s move, but it was not that simple. Back when this confrontation had started, it had become clear that one of them would have to surrender in the end, and Palantir was aware of that. If he refused to accept Yehimelkor’s resignation, he could hardly arrest him or call for the appointment of a new High Priest in the same breath. And if at the end of this session no one had budged an inch from their position, it would be the Sceptre’s defeat. Yehimelkor had proposed a solution to this conflict: his strategy consisted on making sure that it was the only solution.

Perhaps the King would find a way to turn this to his advantage, he thought. If he could sell this as a surrender… Since the first time he had stepped inside this chamber, Elendil had learned many things, and one of the most important had been that anything that happened behind closed doors could be twisted into an infinity of possibilities. Whoever managed to spread his version faster would be the winner of the confrontation, no matter what had actually happened. Tar Palantir still had a very good chance of turning this resignation into a mark of his success in intimidating his enemy, and if he did so, Yehimelkor’s uncompromising stance would be -well, compromised.

And Eluzîni would roll her eyes at his eloquence.

“Very well”. Whether Palantir had been thinking along these same lines, or he had chosen to use this interval to think of more elaborate and profitable plans, Elendil would not know, at least until he was called to another meeting. “Your resignation is accepted, Lord Yehimelkor. You may depart now, but bear in mind that no one from the Temple will fill this chair that you have now left vacant, and that you have forfeited the right to claim it in the name of your god and all his servants.”

“I will bear it in mind, my lord King.” After the silent tension of the previous minutes, the murmurations were beginning to rise in intensity again.

“And bear in mind this, too: if you ever speak treasonous words against the Sceptre again, this will be the least of the evils that will befall you and your people.”

Perhaps he had been thinking along the same lines as him, after all.

Now, if only his deduction skills would go as far as to allow him to guess what the outcome of all this could be, he would count them as a true advantage. But as the High Priest of Melkor crossed the threshold of the Council Chamber for the last time, followed by a mixed trail of shock, admiration, and hatred, Elendil realised that, unless he chanced to discover the gift of foresight late in his life, there was no human way of telling what would happen next.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Palantir had never been able to prevent himself from pacing around a room whenever he was worried or excited. It was a terrible habit which had shocked courtiers and enraged his father, who believed that the most important quality a King could ever have was looking the part. Since his youth, however, he had learned to keep his more controversial habits hidden from the eyes of outsiders, in the privacy of his quarters.

It had been hard to restrain himself until the Council session had finally dragged towards its end. He had been tempted to end it himself many times, but he had soldiered on, aware that all the eyes were on him, scrutinizing his demeanour with an even greater intensity than usual. Today, his greatest enemy had left the Council chamber, never to return. He had offered his resignation, and Palantir had taken it, and with it, the last remaining ties between the Palace and the Temple of Melkor. At long last, he had freed himself from the shadow of the god, from the shadow of his father, and from the shadows that had followed him since he emerged from under the roots of the Meneltarma.

Yehimelkor had done this for a reason, he knew, a reason which was ironically similar to his own: to free himself from the shadow of the Palace, and be able to stand his ground as High Priest. But no matter what bitter fights awaited him, what ordeals and intrigues, his dominant mood now was one of exultant relief.

Today, he thought, not only Pelargir, but the whole of Númenor has been reborn. And one day, not too far away, all the shadows which had covered Island and mainland for so long would finally dissipate into nothingness.

It will be worth it, Eärnissë, he mused, remembering the bitterness of their last conversation, where the intensity of her anger had exuded like a scorching heat from the black surface of the Seeing Stone. And you will be there to see it.

“She will still be angry at you” a voice spoke behind him. Palantir had given instructions not to be disturbed, and she of all people had never felt the need to come looking for him, so he could not help but freeze in his tracks, gazing at her in open shock.

“What are you doing here, Míriel?” he asked. All of a sudden, his hopeful mood seemed to have vanished, chased away by her dark gaze.

She shrugged.

“She will still be angry at you” she repeated. From their limited interaction, and mostly from what he heard from Eärnissë and Vorondil, he had been led to believe that she had stopped using her powers openly to frighten people, choosing instead to hide them and mingle with her peers. But it appeared that this courtesy did not extend to him.

“That is none of your concern”, he replied, in turn doing nothing to hide his irritation at her presence. Once upon a time, she would have been angry enough to disconnect from the conversation, and hopefully leave.

“I should have been the one to go. I am the Princess of the West. But that appointment is a joke to you, isn’t it?”

“No, Míriel. It is a joke to you” he hissed, with more vehemence than he had intended. Apparently, the bitterness had festered with the years. “You married a puppet husband whom you could manipulate, you have not given him any heirs, and you haven’t even had the grace to appear interested in learning how to rule yourself. All you have ever done is thwart my efforts to build something durable, as if you derived an evil joy from it. You cannot blame me for not trusting you.”

For a moment, it seemed as if she would finally explode, as her forehead began to curve in an ominous frown. After he finished speaking, however, the mood dissipated, and she broke into a strange fit of laughter.

“Oh, I do not mind. I know that, in time, you will have to trust me. For whether you want it or not, one day you will die, and then you will leave the Sceptre and the future of the Island in my hands. And if you have not found your trust in me by then, Father, it will be a very sad death.”

And then, with the fell echo of those words still reverberating in the emptiness of the room, she bowed to him and left.

Alliances

Read Alliances

It was a chilly dawn, so much that icicles had formed under the eaves of the terrace where he stood, watching the sun’s feeble attempts to rise behind what looked like an impenetrable mass of clouds. A black horizon seemed to hang over Armenelos, cold and pitiless like the winter that forced days to grow steadily shorter and darker, and hid the sunlight away from the mortals who had foolishly invoked the wrath of Heaven.

Yehimelkor did not flinch from the biting onslaught of the wind. His eyes, blinking back a momentary haze, became fixed in the Palace that loomed over the city atop the neighbouring hill, where the impious king and his line were preparing their winter celebrations. Fires would be burning in every hall and every chamber there, keeping the cold at bay; protecting and shielding them from the signs of doom which their own blindness had caused. Surrounded by their fires, covered in luxurious furs, they would remain ignorant of the curse they had invoked on themselves, until it was too late to avert it.

For a moment, his gaze shifted towards his own hands. The palms were pale, almost translucent, but in the fingers he could see some evidence of blue. He should thank Tar Palantir, he thought, without a shadow of irony. Before, he had always remained vigilant in the performance of his duties, but there were things that those who lived in luxury in high and mighty houses remained blind to, in spite of their dedication. Only now, he could see, perceive, and feel the delicate balance between the actions of Men and the power of Heaven.

Just as he did every morning, Yehimelkor turned his back to the view, and returned to the frozen corridors of the Temple. He took good care to close the door behind him, but the gesture had grown more and more futile as days passed by. There was barely any difference anymore between the temperature outside and the temperature inside. Except for the Great Hall, where the everlasting fire still burned bright, the rest of the temple was as cold as it was dark.

It had been a month ago now since the alarm was raised among the priests. At the end of Autumn, the torrential rains that flooded the capital had spoiled the major part of the Temple’s firewood reserves. Before, in more affluent times, this problem would have been easy enough to solve, for the Governor of Sor, by the King’s command, would have furnished them with wood from the forests of the East, but this was now out of the question, and the citizens of Armenelos who generously donated part of their supplies were too short on that particular commodity to be of much use in this situation. And so, for the first time in Temple history, the Sacred Fire had come under threat of being extinguished.

Yehimelkor knew that the King was aware of this, and was probably waiting to see how long it took for the Fire to go out, and for the Eternal King’s presence to leave Armenelos and its people. The fool! In all his wisdom, there was a simple knowledge which eluded him: that the King of the City would never abandon Armenelos for such little reason as a mere shortage of firewood. Tar Palantir appeared to have forgotten that, during the Siege of Alissha, his ancestors had attempted a similar trick, leaving the priests without victims to perform their rites, and the birds themselves had flown into the altar to present themselves for the sacrifice. There was no doubt in Yehimelkor’s mind that the God would show His hand in a similar way, if it ever became necessary. However, in the Siege of Alissha the Great God had not provided new victims to priests who were happily feasting on the flesh of animals who should have been sacrificed to Him; He had intervened after they ran out of resources that they had refused to touch, even as they tried to appease their hunger by hunting rats and munching on tree barks. That was why all the firewood at the Temple’s disposal had to go into the Sacred Fire, to keep it alive, and not a single lump of it could be diverted to avoid human discomfort. And before they finally ran out of it, he thought darkly, they would have to start burning the furniture. The High Priest’s rooms certainly had too much of it, he thought as he crossed the threshold of his chambers, surveying them with a critical eye. Why did he need two writing tables? Why did he need one, in fact, when he had a table for eating, and he usually worked there anyway?

Hasdrumelkor had not arrived yet. He had an inkling of where he could be, so he retraced his footsteps and took the stairs to descend to the lower level. As he made his way through the corridors, the galleries, and then, finally, the colonnade of the Great Hall, he felt the growing warmth of the air stimulating the blood flow in his veins, and the glow of life gathering in his cheeks. Another lesson from this situation, he thought: by the Lord’s fire, there is life; far from it there is only death, a naked truth that decades, centuries of temperate weather, chimneys and comforts had contrived to obfuscate. This winter, the coldest in Númenor that anyone could remember, would remind many of it.

In line with his thoughts, he saw a large throng of priests gathered around the altar, in various kneeling, sitting, and even lying positions. Since the beginning of this crisis, more and more among their number had taken to praying by the fire at night, to escape the cold of their own sleeping chambers. Some were vigilant in the exercise of their devotion, but most of them were only seeking warmth, and fell asleep soon after they began muttering their prayers. Now, as those who were awake greeted him and bowed at his passing form, the sleepers were roused from their dreams, and he saw them struggling frantically to rise from the floor, wipe their eyes and pray as furiously as if their lives depended on it.

Hasdrumelkor, he noticed, was among the latter. He came from the south of the Island, and he had always hated bathing in cold water with a fierce passion. Unlike Hannimelkor, he never had been lazy with his studies, befriended forbidden people, fled his vigilance to practice swordsmanship or consorted with city women in secret; his brand of teenage rebellion against his will had merely consisted on picking up his bedsheets every winter night and spreading them next to the fire. Simpler, if equally dangerous.

“Are you muttering in your dreams, or are you awake now, Hasdrumelkor?” the High Priest asked, dryly. Th young man’s face was red, from the heat as well as the embarrassment -or so he thought at first, until he realized that his nose was redder than the rest of the face, and that it was dripping. Another cold. He was not the only one: even now, some were covering their mouths, trying to hide their coughs.

“I am awake, Holiness. I… I was praying all night, I only dozed off for a minute, I do not know why…”

“This fire is sacred, and it is here for prayer and devotion, not to warm you in your sleep” he berated, not only the young priest, but the other ones as well. It was as half-hearted a rebuke as he could possibly utter without being guilty of downright hypocrisy, for he had not done anything to curb this practice. If his previous thoughts held even a spark of truth, seeking warmth from the Sacred Fire was also a way to feel closer to the Great God, and deep inside their weak spirit they, too, must be aware of that.

This, and he did not want any of them to die, if he could avoid it. Not for the sake of a struggle with a King who slept in a warm bed every night.

“Come”, he said, nodding in his direction. Hasdrumelkor, still sleepy, struggled to his feet, wiping his nose in what he thought to be a discreet move. As they walked away from the warmth, he pulled his cloak tighter around his shoulders, shivering.

The shivers increased when they crossed the doorstep of the breezy Entrance Hall and walked past the guards and temple attendants who had been waiting for them. He scrutinized the room, and counted from twenty-five to thirty people of what seemed to be many different backgrounds. Before them, on the floor, there was the usual: baskets of food, cakes, firewood -alas, in too small quantity as to be able to feed the god’s fire for long-, and some clothing. Cloaks, he realized, made of good wool. Though this did not solve their greatest, more pressing problem, there were smaller problems that it could perhaps solve. The hand of the divine had to be recognized in the smallest things.

“In the name of the Great God and his Temple, I, High Priest Yehimelkor, thank you for the offerings that you bring, offerings you may have parted from in a time of need, out of the pure generosity of your heart. I will remember you in my prayers, and if they rise true to the High Heaven, so will your faces and your names rise with them and be forever blessed”, he spoke his customary words. Then, he began to walk around them, asking them for their names, while Hasdrumelkor walked behind him, picking up the offerings, nodding and smiling as he gave them away to the attendants. When they came to the woman who had brought the clothes, and the young priest gathered the first of the cloaks, Yehimelkor turned towards him.

“Put it on” he ordered. Hasdrumelkor blinked.

“But… Holiness, I already have a cloak.”

“I can see that. But you look like you could use both today.”

“His Holiness is right, you could use another cloak, and a warm soup if you have some in the Temple”, the woman spoke, in an unusual bout of forwardness. When Hasdrumelkor turned to stare at her, however, she went back to her shy demeanour, and her eyes became fixed on the tile patterns of the floor.

The priest did not argue further.

“Your gift is much appreciated” Yehimelkor said to her. She smiled faintly.

At long last, all the people in the hall had finished giving him their names, and their gifts had been taken care of to the last item. As they bowed their farewells and departed, Yehimelkor became aware of a man who had been sitting on the back row, staring at the floor before him, where there was no visible offering on display. He looked like a wealthy man, dressed in good furs of what might have been the hide of exotic animals, and he wore earrings like the merchants. Only when Yehimelkor stood in front of him, he finally raised his eyes.

“Do you seek an audience with me?” the High Priest asked. The man shook his head.

“I came here with the same purpose as all the others, Your Holiness” he said. “To give you something that you need.”

Often, Yehimelkor could divine the origins and true purpose of people before him, merely by looking into their eyes and seeking the information which their countenance tried to hide. This ability, however, a gift of his blood and a frequent source of pride for others who shared in its blessing, was something that he used rarely, preferring to rely on the King of Armenelos to show him what he needed to know, only when he needed to know it. And so, when he spoke next, it was to voice a mere mortal deduction.

“You are a merchant of Sor.”

The man nodded, impressed.

“Indeed I am. I am Maharbal, son of Azzibal, former associate of Magon of Gadir.”

Or Magon of what once was Gadir, Yehimelkor thought. The city lay in ruins now, but the man who had invoked the wrath of the Sceptre was somewhere else, alive and unscathed.

“And what do you want, Maharbal son of Azzibal?” Azzibal of Sor, he had heard that name before, too. From Hannimelkor, he realized: it was the man in whose house Númendil and Emeldir of Andúnië had stayed during their captivity, and where their son had been born.

“I am not here to ask, but to give. It has come to our attention that you are in desperate need of firewood.”

Next to him, he could feel Hasdrumelkor tense. The young man did not have the ability to hide his impulses yet, and the hope in his eyes was so raw that the merchant could read it like an open book.  Yehimelkor blamed himself for not dismissing him before the conversation began, but it could not be helped anymore.

“That is correct. We are running low on it, as you can see from this priest’s conspicuous head cold.” Hasdrumelkor blushed, the brusque change of temperature causing him to sneeze.

“Indeed. But that is not the only side effect of this situation, is it? According to certain illustrious associates of mine, who are greatly concerned over this matter, the Sacred Fire itself is at stake, and with it, the Great God’s protection of Númenor.”

“Then tell your illustrious associates that, if they are religious men, as they seem to be, they should take heart and be convinced that the Great God would never allow that to happen.”

The young priest could not prevent himself from staring at him now. Yehimelkor ignored him.

“The strength of your faith is as admirable as it is rumoured, both in Númenor and the colonies” Maharbal praised him with a polite bow. “But, just as you accept the offerings of the townspeople of Armenelos in the spirit in which they are given, so I hope that you will accept ours.”

“I accept everything in the spirit in which it is given” Yehimelkor nodded. “That is why, before I accept anything from you, or any of your associates, I would wish to know in which spirit are you giving it to me.”

Maharbal extended his arms.

“In a spirit of pure generosity, faith, and admiration.”

“And in a spirit of trying to undermine the Sceptre, too.”

The merchant shrugged.

“Is that something you disagree with?”

Yehimelkor was not a man to look for ways to disguise his true intent behind vague words.

“No. I do not disagree with it, but that does not necessarily turn us into natural allies. If this firewood which you offer me comes from the mainland, I must decline it, for I will accept nothing that comes from beyond the Sea.”

Maharbal laughed.

“You really are as holy as those rumours made you to be! A true holy man! But please, do not worry” he said then, placatingly. “The firewood comes from the Eastern forests, bought at a great price by the highest fortunes of Sor. The only part of the bargain that comes from the mainland is my third-generation ancestors, as they were born in Gadir, though they had a certified Númenórean origin. As do I, at least according to the box I came in.”

Yehimelkor did not smile.

“And what do you want from me in exchange?”

“Nothing. Merely that you continue your admirable work, Your Holiness.”

Your admirable work of sedition, the High Priest finished for him in his mind. The Merchant Princes had always worshipped Melkor, this he knew, and they also disliked the current King with every fibre of their being, so it should not come as a surprise that they would wish to extend their hand in friendship. However, they were also men whose greatest ambition was to control the mainland, and this went against the best interest of the Island as he saw it. Some of them, like Magon, had even gone as far as to deal with the Dark Lord in the past.

All the same, a voice whispered in his mind, there were not many choices open before him now. The Lord of Armenelos did not extend His hand twice; those who spurned His gifts as they came risked invoking His wrath over their own heads.

“If this gift is truly given in generosity and faith, it will be welcomed here”, he spoke at last, weighing his words very carefully. “And if you do not ask for anything in exchange, I will accept it in the name of the Temple. But if your true purpose is to bind me to your will, and have me measure the words I speak against the interests of Númenor in the mainland, let it be said now that you may withdraw your favours at any moment, if you wish, for I will remain the same and so will the words that I speak. Nor will I have anything to do with the Gadirite exiles or your father’s former associate.”

The merchant withstood his gaze for a while, until it seemed to become uncomfortable to him. Then, he looked at Hasdrumelkor instead, trying to draw him in with a conspiratorial smile.

“It must be exhausting, to live in the shadow of such a great man. Someone who never bargains over anything, whether it is a seat in the Council or a piece of firewood.” He laughed; the only one in the room who did so. The young priest merely looked on, too dutiful to even think of speaking without leave. “Very well, if it must be in your terms, then so it shall be. It is not as if we disagree with most of what you say about the mainland, in any case. We also believe that the Sceptre should keep away from it and mind its own business.”

Pelargir was still a sore wound in their side, Yehimelkor knew, one which would not heal or go away in spite of their greatest efforts. But there was no sympathy in his heart for them: they had tried to dispute the mainland with the King, and of course they had lost.

“Then let this agreement stand between us” he nodded solemnly. “In the name of the Great God and his Temple, I, High Priest Yehimelkor, thank you for the offerings that you bring, offerings you may have parted from in a time of need, out of the pure generosity of your heart. I will remember you in my prayers, and if they rise true to the High Heaven, so will your faces and your names rise with them and be forever blessed.”

Maharbal bowed low, then slowly pulled himself to his feet.

“I will return shortly, Your Holiness.”

As they watched him depart, Hasdrumelkor’s composure finally cracked.

“Oh, thank the Lord! For a moment, I thought…”

You thought that I would refuse him, Yehimelkor thought, but he left it unsaid. Most priests could not be bothered with subtle considerations, such as whether an offer of help in a moment of desperate need could be more dangerous than the need itself, if it served to entrap weak minds in a relationship of unholy obligation. If to prevent this he had to be the man who never bargained over anything, then he would have to accept his fate, as well as the anger and hatred that might come with it.

Voicing a prayer to the Lord of Armenelos, who had just spared him that choice, Yehimelkor rose from his seat, and beckoned the other priest to follow him towards the warmth of the main hall.

Tomorrow, he thought, he might need to break this arrangement, as he did not trust a merchant to keep his given word if there was an opportunity to squeeze something out of someone. But today, at least, the fires would burn.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The girl’s hair was raven black, and fell down in silky tangles over his chest as she shifted her weight from one leg to the other. Her skin was white, a mark of her Númenórean heritage, but this land of fierce sun had covered it in freckles from the top of her forehead to the tips of her toes. Whenever she looked elsewhere, and he could not see her eyes, she appeared to him like a marred Zimraphel, a human Zimraphel whose eerie perfection had shattered and turned into real flesh in his arms.

“My lord prince! My lord prince!”

“Who…?” Biting back a curse, Pharazôn felt the warm body go limp against his, and slowly emerged from under the covers of his bed. “Can’t you see I am busy!”

“I am sorry but… Lord Barekbal is here, and he says it’s important!”

Barekbal. Important. Of course. When had something ever not been important, if Barekbal was involved? Cursing, this time loud and clear, he pushed himself up into a sitting position, just fast enough to catch the aide’s look of deep embarrassment as he hurriedly looked away.

“Here”, he said, picking up the girl’s clothes even as he was still fumbling with his own. She received them solemnly, and raised her head to scrutinize the entrance in search of movement. Only when she was wholly satisfied that nobody was looking, she uncovered her body again, and stood up to begin dressing herself. She was a marvel among the Haradrim, even among the half-blood kind, with a sense of propriety that would not have been out of place in the Armenelos court. But her father was a bastard himself, who knows from which nobleman he was descended, he remembered, secretly glad of the tedious paperwork which had been put in place by his predecessors to avoid the very real risk of incest in the Second Wall. When a Númenórean had been staying for so many years among the short-lived folk as he had, one inevitably began seeing long lost daughters -maybe even granddaughters- everywhere, even if he was not aware of having them. Sometimes, he wondered who had been the first to be faced with this disturbing truth, and had the rare presence of mind to rise to the occasion by enforcing those registry laws.

“Do you want me to leave?” she asked from the floor, where she was putting her shoes on. He pondered this for a moment.

“I think that would be better, yes. I may call you later on, depending on how important this business turns to be.”

She nodded, then went back to her endeavours as if he was no longer in the room. Pharazôn shrugged and stepped out towards the corridor, where the aide was patiently waiting for him to finish.

“Does this important meeting require full armour?” he asked. The young soldier’s eyes widened, and he felt briefly tempted to laugh.

“N-no that I know of, my lord prince. He did not say…”

“Fine, then we will let him speak for himself.” He passed him by, walking at a brisk pace towards the audience hall, where Barekbal rose to greet him. “He has much to answer for, don’t you, Barekbal? I was very busy when you interrupted me!”

The Númenórean commander withstood his gaze with an impassive brow.

“A thousand apologies, my lord prince, but this was very…”

“…important, yes, yes, I know!” he finished impatiently. Would that wretched man ever learn how to take a joke? “Have we been attacked? Has someone declared war on us?”

“I bring news from my spies in Arne, my lord.”

“Oh.” He sat at the other side of the table, searching for the aide, who had lagged behind. “Find Adherbal and Merimne. What happened?”

“Nothing.”

“You will have to explain yourself better than that.”

“I will try.” Barekbal watched as he poured two cups of hot wine, which had become merely lukewarm after lying in its casket for hours. “As you know, my lord prince, Queen Eärnissë visited Pelargir with Prince Vorondil and Lord Amandil, and Valentia went there to greet her. According to our reports, she and the Queen met repeatedly, and they discussed business and the governance of the kingdom of Arne. And then – nothing.”

“So, nothing means that she is still the Queen of Arne”, Pharazôn deduced. Barekbal nodded, sipping his wine.

“Poor lad. I spent two years in that nest of vipers, and I was more than glad to see the last of them.”

“Poor, yes, but a great fool too”. Phaleris had brought this upon himself, ignoring his advice in favour of that stream of idiocy which Hiram and his family had been putting in his head for years. Perhaps Pharazôn had been the man who defeated his father, but that was precisely why he should have listened to him, instead of trying to earn the approval of people who had never set foot in Middle-Earth. People who would drop him at the blink of an eye if it suited them. “The King must fear me indeed, if he is willing to go this far to ignore treason in the court of his allies. I should feel flattered.”

“I wouldn’t know about that.” As ever, Barekbal was too circumspect to speak openly against the Sceptre. “But in any event, this is how things stand now, in the Bay of Belfalas.”

At that moment, the aide came back with both Adherbal and Merimne, who sat by their side, received their wine, and listened intently as the report was repeated to them. Their hair and cloaks were wet; apparently, it had started raining outside while they talked.

“How weak is this King of yours?” As always, Merimne was the only one who dared to voice what everybody else was thinking. Her weather-beaten countenance creased into a frown, as she stared at them by turns, defying them to oppose her words. “He does not want you to go to Arne, he does not want you to go to Númenor, he does not want you to do anything. Among my people, someone in his position would have moved against you long ago, and if you proved stronger than him, he would have died in the attempt. Is it because of your long life? Perhaps he feels he can try in another fifty years?”

Númenórean lifespans were somewhat of a sore spot with her: as years passed by, and though she had never complained aloud, she was growing visibly older than the rest of them. Pharazôn felt sympathy for her plight: if their roles had been reversed, he would have found it very difficult to take it with such equanimity.

“I do not think this sort of talk is appropriate for…”

“Peace, Barekbal. She is raising a valid point” he cut him before the dour commander could fly into a diatribe about barbarians who lacked respect for the Númenórean Sceptre. “I believe I have become Tar Palantir’s greatest problem at this moment, and his way of dealing with me is to pretend that I do not exist. He cannot send me to war, so he has to make sure that there are no wars. He cannot let me attack Mordor, so he will have everyone forget about Mordor, pretend it is no longer a threat. And he would kill me if he could be sure of both success and secrecy, but he cannot be guaranteed that, so he has to be cautious. By allying himself with Valentia, he is trying to buy himself time.”

“Time for what?” Adherbal asked, shaking his head.

“Time for the people to turn their hearts towards him. While he remains so unpopular, I am a threat, but if his project of Pelargir succeeds, if trade with the mainland goes back to the levels from before, if there is peace and prosperity…then he can win the love of his subjects, and I will no longer be a concern. Or necessary.”

“And the people of Númenor will accept the Princess of the West as his successor.” Adherbal finished for him. He was much more forward with this kind of talk than Barekbal, discussing it with the practical matter-of-factness of a commander in charge of a combat situation. “While if there are wars, they will turn to you.”

“Exactly”, Pharazôn nodded.

“And what are you going to do?” Merimne asked. “He has shown his weakness, hasn’t he? You should strike now, attack Arne whether he wants it or not, and from there launch an attack on Mordor. If you succeed, he won’t be able to touch you. You will be beyond his grasp, stronger than he could ever hope to be.”

“Are you suggesting treason against the Sceptre, woman?” Barekbal was furious, and even Adherbal could not hide his worry for a moment. In spite of this, Pharazôn was sure that they would follow him to the end of the world if push came to shove, whether by the will or the King or no, as would his veterans of many campaigns. The people of Númenor, however – that was another matter entirely. Neither the nobles nor the common folk would be so understanding or sympathetic to his motives if there was any manner of treason involved, no matter how unpopular the current holder of the Sceptre was among them.

“Civilization is complicated, Merimne” he smiled wryly. “We must look terribly boring to you, but that is why we need long lives: to be able to compensate for wasting so much time.”

“Hmph”, she shrugged.

“I was impatient once, but not anymore. The King might have secured the allegiance of Valentia for now, but the situation will not last long. It never does. Sooner or later, Arne will go to war again, Mordor will seize the opportunity, the tribes will rebel, and Pelargir will be threatened. I know it, as I know that a rebel tribe of Haradrim will rise against us this year, and the year after this year.” You will be the one to defeat the might of Mordor, she had whispered in his ear, in the warmth of her embrace. “War is like a strong current, and I am the one who is rowing with it.”

“A fine metaphor.” Adherbal complimented him. “But I can think of another one, my lord prince.”

“Which one?”

“That strong current is also the current of time”, the warrior explained. “And you are also rowing with it. Our King is growing old, and his daughter is still heirless.”

Pharazôn laughed.

“See, Barekbal? You can relax now, and sip your wine at ease. There is no treason required. I will not go to war until I am ordered to do so. “Softly, he laid his arm on the other man’s shoulder, looking at him until he finally reciprocated. “But once I do, I hope I will still be able to rely on you.”

For once, the serious commander smiled back.

“That, my lord, you need not even ask.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He was standing in a courtyard that he remembered from one of his earliest memories, a large, empty space encircled by huge walls of stone. The sky was dark, not with the black clouds which had been hanging over their heads as they played outside in the snow, but with the impenetrable darkness of night.

The air was hot, terribly, almost unbearably hot. Beads of sweat fell down his forehead, and he tried to wipe them away with the back of his hand, to no avail. It was at this point that he began feeling the dread gather in his chest, though he still could not see why he was so scared.

What had happened? Why was he alone?

“Malik!” he shouted, looking left and right. But there was nobody there to answer his call, and his chest constricted painfully. “Malik!”

And then, he saw it. Far above the walls of stone, far above the towers and the mountains that loomed behind them, a giant wave was advancing towards him. As he stood there, paralyzed with horror, it advanced inexorably in his direction, swallowing the stars in the sky with its foaming, gaping mouth. He heard screams; strange, disembodied voices of terror whose owners remained out of his sight.

Though reason told him that it was useless, his instinct forced him to break into a run, to escape from this thing before it could swallow him too. His eyes fell upon a tall tree that stood before him, with powerful branches that gleamed like silver, and leaves that were white, like the ghosts in the tales of Malik’s father. Though he knew that he was not good at climbing trees, he was desperate enough to try, so he jumped and grabbed at the lowest branch with both hands.

For a long, agonic moment he hung there, his feet hopelessly dangling in the air. It was impossible… he would never make it without Malik to help him. His friend always climbed first, and then held his arm to pull him up.

“Malik!” he shouted again. Where was he?

I am sorry, a voice whispered, so close to his ear that he was startled, and almost fell down. I cannot help you. I cannot help you anymore.

Malik was there, standing on a branch above his head. Instead of feeling hopeful, however, Isildur froze with dread at the sight. For his friend was as white as the leaves on the tree, and his eyes were dim and sorrowful as he met his.

Don’t do it. Don’t do it, he begged. Please.

Isildur let go.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Hey! Wake up! I say…wake…up!”

The boy was aware of arms grabbing him by the shoulders and pinning him to the mattress, first as if from a distance, then gradually closer, his physical pain and discomfort growing even as the blind terror receded from his mind.

“Ouch! Let go!” he cried, shoving the intruder away. Black eyes met his, with a mixture of concern and relief. As he recognized them, however, the blind terror came back.

“You are dead” a whimpering voice that did not seem to belong to him muttered. “You are dead.”

Confusion replaced the relief. Malik sat back, and stared at him as if he had just grown dragon wings.

“What is the matter with him?”

Voices -disembodied voices, like the ones in his dream- whispered and argued in the darkness, but he could not hear what they were saying. As he grew more aware of his surroundings, he realized that they were in Malik’s house, so the voices should belong to Malik’s family. Had he really awoken them because of a stupid nightmare?

He felt so ashamed at this thought that, when he saw Ashad’s dark face hovering over his, he felt tempted to hide under the bedcovers. But only babies like his brother Anárion could believe that it was possible to disappear by covering one’s face, so he forced himself to withstand that urge.

“Are you all right?” the man from Harad asked.

“Y-yes.” He tried to sound brave, but the shivers from his frozen sweat caused his voice to break. “It was just a nightmare” he tried again, more successfully this time. “I am sorry for waking you.”

“I will bring you some water, and then you will feel better” a woman’s voice announced behind them. Malik’s mother. His embarrassment came back in full force, and before he even knew what he was doing, he had risen from the bed. The cold was so unbearable that it was almost like a physical blow, jolting him back to his senses.

How could one dream of such heat, when it was so cold?

“I will go myself. Please, do not worry about me. Go back to sleep, I just… I am fine now, all right?”

He did not even know how many mattresses, feet, bedcovers he stumbled upon in his bid for freedom. To his shock, as he came close to the doorstep he felt the panic rise again, as if the wave from his dream was following him and he was still fleeing from it. Angry at himself, he ran towards the water basin and sunk his head into it, searching for that glorious clarity which only the cold seemed able to give him.

When he realized that it had been a bad idea, it was already too late.

“Ouch!” he yelled, uttering a curse that he had heard Malik’s eldest brother say once. His shivers were back with a vengeance.

“Are you insane? What did you do that for? Here, take a blanket.”

Of course, Malik had followed him.

“Was it so terrible?” Though he feigned nonchalance, it was obvious that his friend was worried. “I mean, it was only a dream, wasn’t it? After you wake up, it all disappears.”

“I know. I am fine.”

“It was probably because of the cold. The heat and the cold bring nightmares, everybody knows it. That, and you ate half of the apple pie last night. Mother says…”

“That’s not true” Isildur protested weakly. It still did not seem like his voice, he thought, his heart racing again. Had he been drowned by the wave, and now he was no longer himself, but a ghost like…?

He shook his head, in shock at the stupidity of his own thoughts. What was the matter with him? He was awake now, wasn’t he?

“By the way, I am not dead, and I am not planning to die anytime soon.”

“How do you know I dreamed that?” he shouted. Malik’s eyes widened.

“You said it yourself when you awoke.”

“Oh.” Stupid, stupid, stupid.

“Look, whatever it is, you will have forgotten it by tomorrow.”

“Yeah. Sure.”

“Are you coming back to sleep, then?”

“Just a moment. Go ahead.” But Malik did not move.

“I am not going to die” he repeated, his frown deepening even more. Had he managed to unnerve him, too? Isildur did not know he could still feel any worse about this entire affair. For a moment, he had the shameful wish that he was back home in Andúnië, with Mother. Only she could find a way to cheer him again, and make his mind stop going in circles over this.

“Malik, go back to bed.”

It was Ashad’s deep voice. Dismayed at the prospect of having to face yet someone else, the boy wrapped the blanket tighter around his shoulders, and set his gaze on the wooden planks of the floor.

“I said, I am fine!” he yelled. Even as the words came out of his mouth, however, he felt appalled at himself. What on Earth had possessed him to be so rude to this man in his own house? “I am sorry, I… I just…”

Had a nightmare, he finished in his mind, feeling like a stupid child. He had no right to complain if they were worried; he was the one acting like a fool in front of them.

Ashad ignored both his rudeness and his apology. His black eyes were fixed on his, with a silent intensity that no Númenórean was quite able to replicate.

“You dreamed of a great wave” he said at last. It was not a question, and for a moment, Isildur was simply dumbfounded.

Had he cried out? Had they heard everything? That had to be it… and as he had been an idiot already once before, when he had forgotten that Malik had heard him say he was dead, he would not repeat the same mistake again.

“You heard me.”

Ashad’s forehead creased in a small frown.

“I heard you scream as I heard your grandfather, the Lord of Andúnië, scream countless times in the night. I asked him many of those times, as indelicately as my son, I am afraid, and he always told me the same thing: he dreamt of a great wave which drowned everything in its wake, as did his father, and his father’s father, and everyone from the line of Andúnië.”

Isildur blinked, shaking his head as the information sank in. It simply could not be, he thought. His grandfather? Then, why had he never heard…?

Would you go around telling people about this? a sarcastic voice spoke inside his head. Still, it seemed too unbelievable… his grandfather, the strongest and greatest warrior that he knew, screaming from a nightmare? And, did this mean that his father dreamed of it, too? But that was not possible, they were adults! How could adults be scared of nightmares? It was simply unthinkable.

“Nightmares are not real” he said, more to himself than to the man who stood before him. Ashad seemed about to open his mouth to reply to this, but then, in an unusual move for the outgoing Middle-Earth barbarian, he appeared to think better of it.

“I am not the right person to talk about this, Isildur” he said eventually. “I am not from the line of Andúnië. I am not even a Númenórean. It is your family you should speak to; they will be able to explain these things and provide comfort.”

Comfort. For a nightmare, which would be forgotten on the following morning. Unless it wasn’t, the thought seemed to plummet in his chest like frozen lead. Countless times, Malik’s father had said. Countless times, and all those times, his grandfather had screamed.

Was he going to see Malik’s ghost countless times? His grandfather and his father could not have seen him too, could they? Shivering again, he huddled against his friend’s blanket.

“Is it… real?” he asked, his voice so low that it did not seem like Ashad would even be able to hear it. But his eyes flickered in a strange way in the dark, and Isildur knew that he had.

“It might be a premonition. A memory. I wouldn’t know.” It was the first time that he had seen him nervous. “If you need answers so desperately, I can take you home tomorrow.”

“Thank you, but…” Isildur wanted to go home, more than anything in the world. But then, he thought, if he did that, he would be perceived as spurning this people’s hospitality. Malik would be angry at him, his parents would be disappointed, and Isildur’s own family would be displeased with him. The trip back to Andúnië was long, and it had not been planned until next week, so he would not merely be disrupting the family’s rest at night, but also their daytime activities for the next two or three days. All because he had freaked out at a nightmare. Had his grandfather ever stopped a Council meeting, or a battle, because of his nightmares? “There is no need. I will… have plenty of time to ask them when I am back.”

Ashad shook his head, perhaps with a shadow of regret.

“Are you sure? It would be no trouble…”

“Yes, I am sure, sir.” Now, it had to be now when his traitorous voice finally managed to be as firm as that of a First Age hero. “I am fine.”

Only when Ashad nodded, and stood up to leave, Isildur’s shoulders slumped against the wall, and he allowed himself to hate his own presence of mind.

Leap of Faith

Read Leap of Faith

Year 3243 -Year 66 of the reign of Tar Palantir.

 

The night was warm, as only Umbarian nights could be this late in Autumn. The sky had cleared during the afternoon, leaving the firmament aglow with thousands of stars, which had seemed to float above his head as he made his way across the camp earlier in the evening. It was a belief of the Haradrim that the destiny of every man was written in those stars, and that it was possible to read it in them as if they were lines from a book, if one was knowledgeable enough. To Pharazôn, this idea had always seemed laughable: stars were immutable, and they never altered their course for anyone, while destiny was forever shifting like the flames of the fire where his grandfather and his mother used to gaze every day. Such beliefs were merely one more example of the Haradric ingrained pessimism, just like their jealous gods who continuously demanded dead souls as if they needed to feed on them in order to survive.

That pessimism was the reason why he had such difficulties to believe that such a trivial thing as a begetting day feast could have a place among their traditions. When Merimne had sent word that she wanted him to attend hers, his first thought was that it had to be a joke. She had never involved herself in anything of the sort in the past, even back when she was a warrior and survival for one more year could be considered a cause for celebration.

There has to be some ghastly component to this, he remembered thinking, but so far, he seemed to have been proved wrong. The feast that she had organized in her dwelling -which had remained a tent made of spun fabric even after he had yelled himself hoarse countless times, trying to have her exchange it for proper housing that would not leave her exposed to the whims of the weather- had everything that he was accustomed to see in non-Haradric celebrations: food, drink, laughter, and song. Merimne herself proved a rather passable host, making sure that her guests had everything they wanted, in spite of how difficult it had become for her to move. She partook in the toasts, and if she sipped the wine carefully instead of downing it as she had used to, it was because she seemed intent on staying awake for them. For some reason, she had even invited Adherbal and Barekbal, though their relationship had ranged from hostile to merely cold since she first set foot on the Second Wall as a prisoner.

“For my people, it is impossible to keep the same enemy for forty-five years. Either they will have killed you, or you will have killed them long before then. So, they are no longer my enemies”, she explained, with a grin that showed her uneven set of teeth. Adherbal rolled his eyes, though he was careful not to let her see him do it.

“I am still intrigued as to what exactly you are celebrating here, Merimne”, Pharazôn asked, after they had downed their third toast. “Before today, I did not even know that the Haradrim had begetting days.”

Merimne shook her head. The hand which held her cup of wine was steadier than usual, he noticed idly.

“This is not a begetting day” she declared. “Begetting days are a foolish Númenórean custom, just because you would lose count of your hundreds of years if you did not find a way to mark them.”

“There is no need for that when you can read and write” Barekbal chimed in, munching cautiously on one of the few Haradric pastries that did not burn a hole in one’s stomach. “Perhaps you should try it.”

“I do not need to read and write to know what I need to know, and count what I need to count” she growled. “Haradu lived twelve times six years since he received his name until his ascension to Heaven.”

“Couldn’t you simply say seventy-two?” Adherbal snorted. Merimne’s glare almost made him physically flinch, which, considering how old and frail she was, was quite a feat in Pharazôn’s opinion.

“My people receive their names only when they are able to speak.”

“So… he was seventy-five? Seventy-six?”

“Seventy-five” Pharazôn spoke. He was not an expert on Haradric culture, but after so many years it became inevitable to learn a thing or two, though most Númenóreans still preferred to claim ignorance out of sheer contempt. “Haradu was seventy-five of our years old when he ascended to Heaven. And you” he added, in dawning comprehension,” are seventy-six.”

Merimne nodded, mollified.

“No one in this land is known to have liver longer than Haradu”, she explained. “We used to believe that it was not even possible. So, this is what I am celebrating. Today, I have become the oldest of my people."

Barekbal shook his head, as if he found this the most ridiculous thing he had ever heard. He was about to open his mouth, probably to say this aloud, but Pharazôn silenced him with a warning frown.

“Indeed, you have lived longer than any of the Haradrim I know. And you still look hale.”

“I do not look hale,” Merimne cradled her half-empty cup, letting a bitter glance rest upon it. “You are mocking me.”

“And you should be more grateful,” Barekbal retorted. “If you have lived so long, it is thanks to Númenor. Among your own people, you would have been long dead, killed in some pointless feud, taken by a disease that you tried to cure by drinking horse’s piss, or abandoned in the desert when food became scarce.”

Pharazôn was sure that Merimne would be angered by those words, but he seemed to have misjudged her on this occasion. Instead of rising to the provocation, she shrugged, for a moment looking nothing at all like the deadly warrior she had once been, but just an old woman. A very old woman by the standards of her people, as her story had reminded him only now.

“Here, drink some more. Barekbal is just bitter because he is growing old, too.”

“Old? Him? I am old!” Adherbal complained, perhaps taking the hint. “My bones hurt whenever I have to ride one of those damn horses, and still you will not let me retire.” It was a long-standing point of contention between them, though sometimes it was difficult to guess how serious the man was about it, since this life was practically the only life he had known, and he had no wife or children waiting for him. “I swear, one day I will take all my veterans and go settle in Pelargir!”

“To protect it from the Arnians the next time they revolt?” Pharazôn laughed. Merimne smiled at this, her festive mood apparently restored.

“Those Arnians! I do not understand why you are so worried about them, they are the worst fighters I have ever met. And so full of themselves, too!”

“We are not worried about the Arnians, it is them being so close to Mordor what concerns us. If only we could relocate them somewhere, we would save ourselves plenty of trouble!”

“Now, that’s an idea!” Adherbal extended his cup to receive more wine. Merimne made a sign to her attendant, who moved swiftly behind them. “We could settle them here, in Harad, and bring the Haradrim to the Bay. Sauron would never be able to strike deals with them, because if one tribe declared for him their neighbours would declare against him just on principle. It would be perfect!”

“Yes, the problem is that they would do the same to us.” Barekbal sighed. Seizing the opportunity, he went on to expound the latest troubles he had had with the envoy of some Eastern tribe, and Pharazôn nodded, pretending to be interested. At some point, however, Merimne’s attendant came closer and started whispering something in her ear, and he completely lost track of the conversation.

“Is something the matter?”

Merimne stared at him solemnly.

“There is someone waiting outside for you. A messenger, with a dispatch. They say it is urgent.”

All things considered, it was not proving to be a bad feast at all. He felt a pang of regret at the disturbance.

“Carry on, I will be back soon” he said, with an apologetic look in the old woman’s direction. She might be old, however, but not yet senile, so she was aware that he had no control over his immediate future in circumstances such as this. Perhaps the stars could tell, he mused wryly, breathing in the night air in an attempt to clear his head from the last cup he had drunk.

“Where is the letter?” he asked the man, who stood in the clearing outside the tent. His hands were empty, and though he bowed in Pharazôn’s direction, he made no move to fumble with his bag or gather anything from his immediate vicinity. This alerted him that something was amiss.

“Well?” he insisted, somewhat impatiently. The messenger shook his head.

“There is no letter, my lord prince. I have come from Armenelos at the greatest speed I could manage, to deliver the news to you.”

“News? What news?”

“The Prince of the South, my lord, your father. He is very ill. You are requested to return to Númenor at once.”

“Ill?” For a moment, the meaning of this word would not sink in his brain. “How, ill? What kind of illness…?”

His voice died when he glimpsed the man’s expression under the dim light, and his breath halted.

“You mean that he is dying.”

“Yes, my lord prince. I am very sorry.”

Dying. Death. Words he was familiar with in all their shapes and forms, but which he had never before considered in connection with his father. The Prince Gimilkhâd had not seen his best days since the demise of his beloved wife, Pharazôn’s mother, but he still belonged to the long-lived line of the Kings of Númenor, like his older brother who held the Sceptre even now, or Amandil’s father. He was not even two hundred years old, an age in which the scions of this lineage were still healthy and strong, at least from what the memory of living men and dead chroniclers could tell.

“Wait” he hissed, still under the effects of shock. “I need more details. What is this illness, that would affect him so young? You must know something else, tell me!”

“I… I do not know more”. The man looked uneasy, and his febrile imagination began building sinister theories. Perhaps he had been poisoned? With him away, no one would know… no one would care… and that would be one less thorn on the King’s side, one less obstacle for his precious succession decree.

Or perhaps… but the alternative was so terrible that he could not even finish the thought. His father would never lay down his life, like the Princess Inzilbêth had. Though the blood of those freaks ran in his veins as well, he had always despised them and their ways. The King and his supporters, however, would no doubt claim that he had done something to offend the gods, just as their enemies had done with the Princess of the West’s sterility. Lies, all of them, but still as believable as the next theory, for how could anyone explain why Gimilkhâd was dying?

Dying. Not dead yet, he reminded himself, forcing his turmoil to subside and trying to focus on a new purpose. Who knows, perhaps he would be there on time…if he could discharge himself from his duties swiftly, if the winds were favourable, if the roads were in a good state… if his father lasted another month….

Even as he thought it, he knew that it was impossible. Long-lived they may be, but his line had never been struck by long, consuming illnesses such as lesser men had. That was why it was possible to tell when one of them was at the brink of death.

“You may go now” he spoke to the messenger, who did not need to be told twice. Following his retreating form, with eyes that did not even take in what they were seeing, Pharazôn lowered himself towards the ground, and sat on his knees.

It was ironic that even now, in his commotion at this news, he still could not muster the feelings of loss and grief that would have most others in tears. He felt empty, as if there was a gaping hole inside him where the love for his father should have been. He tried to gather threads of old memories, of his childhood and youth in Númenor before he felt the calling for the mainland, but they would not come. All he could see in his mind’s eye was his father as he had been in later years, dishevelled and strangely frail, clinging to the shadow of a dead woman and to the hopes he had laid on an absent son in order to remain alive. This was a sorrowful thought, but it did not let him weep, for wasn’t the death of someone who had been half absent only half a death? Old, frail, and slow as Merimne was, whenever she laughed or glowered in anger there was still more life in her than there had been in Gimilkhâd for decades.

“Your father is not old, is he? For your people.”

Startled, as he had not heard anyone coming, Pharazôn turned back to see the very woman he had been thinking about, leaning on her walking stick. In spite of the warmth of the night, she was trembling underneath her heavy cloak, and for a moment he felt the strange dispersion of his feelings rearrange itself into the familiar emotion of exasperation.

“You should not have left your tent. Go back and entertain your guests.”

Merimne ignored this.

“We cannot know why Nergal calls for people when and how he does, but the gods have no obligation to explain themselves to us. Not even to the Númenóreans.”

Who could ever be as terrible as the Haradrim for giving comfort? Even the so-called Faithful in Númenor would have better words to offer, he mused to himself, and that was saying quite a lot.

“Would you say the same if you could not die of common disease? If you lived in a place free of war and violent death? If all your forebears, if your own family, lived for much longer?”

Hot anger was starting to fill the hole within him, though he still had not figured out who or what was its target. The Númenórean gods, the King of Armenelos he had made countless sacrifices to, the Lady of the Cave that his mother had always worshipped? The Baalim, who lived in a distant land and refused to bestow upon them the immortality that they had given the Elves, considering them to be impure and below their notice? His mother, for taking his father’s spirit with her when she died in such a suspicious manner? Or was it Tar Palantir that he blamed?

But no, he thought. The belief in foul play would be comforting, if guiltily so, but deep inside, he knew that his father had not been poisoned. If Tar Palantir had wanted to get rid of his brother, he would have done so long ago, back when he could still be considered a threat.

“If Númenor was the paradise you all claim it to be, you would not be here”, Merimne said. “I am sure that your Island must be a place of wonder, even more than the garden that Haradu found in the heart of the desert, but people still grow old and fall ill. You live long, and yet you are mortal, just like we are, so sooner or later, death will come.”

It should not have come so soon, he wanted to say, but suddenly the words sounded childish to him. Childish because it was her standing there, listening to them, and she could not understand, and somehow she was making him see things from her barbarian perspective. Perhaps the other Númenóreans had been right to ignore whatever the Haradrim had to say to them, he thought.

As a Númenórean, he knew that it should not have come so soon. His father should have lived to see him fight for his inheritance, and take the Sceptre. He should not have died before knowing that his lifelong wish had been fulfilled. He should not have died while his son was away in the mainland, still waiting for the right opportunity.

Could it be himself, the one he was angry with?

It was unfair. In all his calculations, how could he ever have factored this?

Death cannot be factored, the Haradrim would probably answer. But the Haradrim did not know. They could not know. There was nothing to discuss with any of them, not about this.

“Merimne, go back to the tent, it’s a damn order” he repeated. When he did not hear the telling sound of her walking stick, he sighed, biting back a curse. “Fine. I will come with you. I have to announce my departure anyway.”

“Wait.”

She was not looking at him when he stood on his feet to face her. Instead, her eyes were lost in some undetermined spot on the ground, almost as if she was purposefully fleeing his glance.

“Before you leave, there is something I need to ask you. I know this message is weighing heavily in your mind now, but… there is no other time.”

“Ask me?” He would have ignored anyone else, but she had never come to him with something unimportant before. Besides, with thoughts of mortality clouding his mind, it was growing harder to pretend that he did not see the wrinkles in her face, her grey hairs, or the way her back bent as she shivered against her walking stick. What if she was not there anymore, when he returned? “Very well, go ahead.”

She still did not look at him.

“What the Vice-General said before, during the feast. About me living for so long because of Númenor.”

“Never mind the Vice-General” he said, surprised at this choice of subject. “I have wanted to kill him many times, too.”

“He was right. About all the ways in which my people usually die. If someone grows old in spite of war, feuds and diseases, they eventually go out in the desert looking for Haradu’s garden, and die there. There is no use for someone who consumes resources, yet cannot fight any longer.”

“I’ve heard of that.”

“So, why am I still here?”

“What?” Pharazôn had been finding it difficult to focus in the conversation at hand, but this brought him back to it sharply. “What do you mean?”

“I joined your army to fight for you, but I have not fought for many years, and yet I am here, consuming your resources.”

Númenóreans were purposefully slow in understanding the ways of the Haradrim, but that worked both ways, it appeared.

“There are two reasons for that, Merimne. First, we have infinitely more resources. Second, we are not barbarians.”

“The others who fight here usually return to the land of their tribes after they are done.”

“Yes, but you did not want to.” Pharazôn shrugged. “Wisely, in my opinion.”

“But…” For a moment, it seemed as if she was going to make a point, but then her eyes became clouded and she shook her head, as if angry for not being able to explain herself properly. With old age, she had been growing more and more prone to forget words, and yet this time her frustration seemed to be of a different nature, like a sense of bafflement at her inability to express what she wanted to convey. “I am not a Númenórean, and this was not our agreement. I was here to fight in exchange for my life.”

“And you fought.” He had no time for this. “Is there anything else that you wish to say?”

“I do not know why I am here.”

Pharazôn was growing impatient. If this was so important to her, couldn’t she have asked him at some other point in the last twenty years?

“You are here to grow older, and die one day. Here, if you wish to be. Elsewhere, if you wish to leave. Númenóreans do not abandon their allies in the desert when they grow old. We do not even do this with animals. Your people are… they are barbarians, damn it. And now, if you do not mind, I have to enter your tent.”

Merimne shook her head.

“It is not my tent” she hissed after him, still staring at him with the doleful look of someone who is unable to express the nature of her problem.

This time, Pharazôn ignored her.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“You can count on me, my lord prince.” Barekbal’s eyes were briefly distracted from their detailed surveillance of the camp’s comings and goings to look into his, as he probably considered that ceremony required. Dawn had broken only a short while ago, and yet the Second Wall was already teeming with activity, from soldiers practicing and cleaning their weapons to barbarian concubines bathing their noisy children.

Pharazôn nodded, trying to hold his glance without his own bloodshot eyes watering from the cool morning air. He had not been able to sleep at all that night, not even after drinking what others would consider an impressive amount of undiluted wine. He had not dreamed of his father dying, like he had dreamed of his mother long ago, but whenever he tried to close his eyes he was there, his grey hair in disarray, huddling against the purple cloak he wore in public ceremonies, as if he was feeling cold. When he tried to look closer, he realized that the old man’s skin was whiter than usual, like paper, and his eyes gleamed with the golden colour of the embalmer’s mask. Pharazôn asked him why he was dying so soon, but Gimilkhâd laughed and said that he was not dead, for he would enjoy eternal life under the slopes of the Meneltarma. But that is not life, he tried to argue, his words sounding crazy as he whispered them in the lonely night. And then Merimne came, accusing him of not killing her. This is not life, either, she said, and she sounded more passionate, more articulate in his vision than she had been in real life. I live in a house that does not belong to me, eating food that does not belong to me, in a body that does not belong to me, and I cannot win them back any longer. Pharazôn told her that he could see her problem, but that it was nobody’s fault, least of all his. Even we grow old, even we die. Even I will, one day, perhaps sooner than I believed I would.

The Curse of Men. Old age, and then, Eternal Darkness, unless the Great God took pity on their souls and led them to the light, as the priests believed. He had always felt satisfied with that explanation, but now, somehow, even this vague comfort eluded him.

“I am sorry, Barekbal, you were saying?” He had not been paying attention -for the second time since the previous evening- to a long and detailed explanation of the progress made in the peace talks with the envoys from the East. As he was expecting the man to evidence his displeasure at this, even in the subtlest of ways, he was a little surprised when Barekbal looked guilty instead.

“My apologies, my lord. I did not mean to bore you with details. You should be focusing on your impending trip, and here I am, distracting you with talk of issues which fall under my responsibility.”

Though not given to open demonstrations, he seemed to be genuinely sympathetic towards his plight, or whatever he could guess about it, presumably from his own experiences. Barekbal’s own father had died years ago, as far as Pharazôn knew, and he had also been away when it happened. If Death was the Curse of Men, absence was the curse of the soldier.

“I know that, whatever the problem is, you will deal with it in the best possible way. “Except perhaps for one thing, he thought, remembering what he had been planning to say. “Take care of Merimne, Barekbal.”

“What?” One of the bushy eyebrows shot up in an inquiring expression. “Is something the matter with her?”

“No.” Pharazôn did not wish to sound accusatory. “However, I am aware that you have never been the best of friends, to say the least. I do not know for how long I will be away, but she should be taken care of in my absence.”

Something seemed to dawn in the other man’s mind.

“Oh, surely you do not believe I would abandon her in the desert! I was merely remarking upon the fact that her people, the same people she speaks about all the time, would have done just that. “He shrugged. “To be honest, I do not even have the heart to dislike her anymore. I may even feel tempted to check on her personally, but I expect I will be able to withstand that particular urge whenever I remember her insolent temper.”

“Then do not. There is nothing which excites her temper more than pity.” At last, their footsteps had brought them close to the edge of the encampment, where her tent was tied to a set of wooden poles.

It is not my tent, she had said the previous night. But why had this suddenly bothered her?

“Merimne” he called, standing next to the entrance. “Merimne!”

There was no answer.

“Maybe she is still asleep”, Barekbal ventured, with the slightly impatient air of a busy man being forced to waste his precious time.

Ignoring him, Pharazôn entered the tent without invitation, only to find himself face to face with the attendant. He was sitting cross-legged on the floor, in the usual barbarian way, and did not raise his glance to meet his until he was directly addressed.

“Where is Merimne?”

“She gave this to me, so I might give it to the Lord of Númenor” he replied, handing Pharazôn a roll of paper. For a moment, instead of reading it, he looked behind the younger man’s back, searching for a sign of her, but the tent seemed empty except for the two of them. Perhaps it was instinct, perhaps a premonition, but his heart began to sink.

He unrolled the message. In all these years, he had never seen Merimne’s handwriting. He had never even known that she could write, but she must have learned at some point, since he knew that the man before him couldn’t have helped her with this. Trying to ignore the sinking feeling, he began to read.

When you read these lines, I will be in the desert. Do not look for me, as it will be nothing but a waste of time. I should have done this long ago, but I wished to know if I could live longer than Haradu. I believe now that he would have been very uncomfortable by the end of his life. He was lucky to be admitted in Heaven.

The above lines were my original message, but now I must write more, because I know that you will blame the Vice-General for his remark, and yourself for not being able to answer my questions. I was planning to do this since long ago, and it was the reason why I celebrated that feast at all. It is a custom of my people, before leaving on their last journey. If I asked you, it was only because I needed to know your thoughts before I left, but I should have guessed that you would not be able to understand me. I have tried to understand you. You were sincere, you respected the deal that we made, and you only broke it for what you perceived to be my best interest. I am honoured to have served you, and my death wish will be that every battle you fight ends in victory, and that you will take the Sceptre and become the king of your people, alongside the woman you love. My people believe that death wishes are always answered; there was once a man from my tribe who had his whole family killed so the power of their death wishes would make him king. But you are too civilized to understand this, too.

Farewell, Merimne.

He cursed so loudly, that even Barekbal broke his reluctance and peeked inside to see what had happened. As he handed him the paper, Pharazôn turned towards the man from Harad who sat before them, growing irrationally angry at his unshakeable composure.

“Why on Earth did you let her do that?” he hissed. “Did you take her there? Where? She could not have gone on her own!” Behind him, Barekbal gasped.

The man shook his head.

“I cannot tell you.”

“What did you say?” It was too much for him; after the news of his father, and this terrible night, this was already too much. Letting go of the self-control he still possessed, he unsheathed his sword, and laid it against the man’s chest. “Tell me right now, or I will kill you. I will not say it twice.”

The chest heaved in a deep breath, with which the barbarian sought to gather his resolution. Suddenly, wondering how he could still have this memory from so long ago, he remembered Merimne doing the same thing, on the first time they had met, right after he returned from the Middle Havens and that fateful Eruhantalë in Armenelos.

“I cannot tell you” the man repeated.

Pharazôn would have killed him, just because he was a convenient target for his rage. Fortunately, Barekbal had not lost his composure as he had, and he was there to pull him away, fearlessly wrestling the sword away from his hand while he reasoned with him in slow tones, as a mother with his child. Pharazôn did not take in a single word of what he was saying. All he could see was the drops of blood, trickling from his hands as he spoke.

After what seemed like an eternity, he finally managed to push the man away, and his hands flew to his face to cover his eyes, in a desperate attempt to regain some measure of clarity.

“She may still be alive” he muttered. Like his father. Alive, yet dead at the same time. Out of his reach.

“If I know her, she will have killed herself as soon as she got there. She would not wait passively for a slow death, my lord prince. Please, you have to let her be. She was within her rights to leave whenever she pleased, you said so yourself, and we have to respect that!” Of course he would say that, he had always hated her. As if he could guess his thoughts, Barekbal shook his head in denial; his look was pleading now. “Your place is in Númenor, my lord, with your father.”

Pharazôn blinked. Why was it so difficult all of a sudden, to understand what other people were saying?

“Leave me alone” he said, turning his back on him, the barbarian and the empty tent, and walking away.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“The King Tar Palantir, Favourite of the Powers, Protector and guardian of Númenor and its colonies!”

The herald shouted this from the doorstep, in the same ringing tones that he used whenever he entered the Council Chamber, or a huge hall housing a throng of people. Palantir opened his mouth to silence him, shocked,  then closed it as he realized that he was to blame more than the man was. He was only doing his duty, while Palantir should have warned him to keep silent around a sickbed. Since he was young, he had despised protocol as form of rebellion against his regal, stately father, whose hundreds of Court rules and restrictions he had found ridiculous and tried to ignore as much as he could. But in all his years as King, he had been forced to admit the unpleasant truth that protocol was there, whether he followed it or not, and that ignoring it entirely only resulted in discomfort and confusion, for others rather than himself.

Now, he thought, a second, even more unpleasant truth was facing him, and there was not nearly enough time left to admit it. Allowing himself no more than a brief moment of hesitation, he sought him with his gaze, slowly growing used to the shadows in the room. He was lying in the bed, white silk sheets covering his body up to his chest, in a sinister reminiscence of what would soon be his death shroud. His face was pale, his hair undyed, and his dark eyes reflected a powerful feeling of terror, only barely disguised as bravado as he became aware of his presence.

His brother. This man, whom Ar Gimilzôr had sired as a threat to him and his wayward mother, to be his father’s son through and through, before he became the proud in-law of those traitorous merchants and the father of his greatest threat, was his brother. They had been born of the same womb, but he had spent so long denying this in his own mind, that it felt as if his memories of it belonged to a different person.

And now, he was dying. For whatever reason, Eru Almighty had decided to cut the thread of his life shorter than any in the line of Elros ever before, unless they willingly laid down their existence. Others in his faction could barely dissimulate their vindictive glee at this, considering that the Creator had decided to show Númenor whose line was truly cursed in His eyes, but Palantir was not sure that this curse, if it was one, was on Gimilkhâd alone. What if it was meant to reflect on their entire lineage and the Island itself? Day after day, his dreams of the Wave had become more and more vivid, instead of disappearing as he had once been so certain that they would.

Gimilkhâd smiled, though the smile looked more like a grimace in his taut features.

“Look who is here!” His voice was a hoarse whisper, as the air seemed to have some difficulty passing through his lungs and into his mouth. “The King of… Númenor himself! To…what do I owe this… honour?”

Palantir sat on an ivory chair, next to him, and motioned to the courtiers and attendants to leave. They bowed deeply before retreating.

“You are my brother.” There was no time left to pretend anymore. “Your wife passed away, and your son is on the mainland, so the duty of attending your sickbed falls to me.”

There was a weak laugh, almost like a gurgle.

“Is that so? What…leads you to believe I would not… rather be looking at… the tiles in that wall?”

Palantir could not give a damn for what Gimilkhâd would rather be doing, especially when he was so obviously lying about it.

“You are afraid of dying alone.” It was not a question. The Prince of the South looked angry now.

“Are you h-here to gloat?”

“No.” He reined his temper; there was no time left for that, either. “But you would be less afraid if you had allowed yourself to accept the simple truth that death is not an evil, that it is merely a path to something better. Even now, it is not too late.”

“Fuck you” Gimlkhâd spat. “And your Gift of Men.”

Palantir raised his hands in a placating gesture.

“As you wish.”

For a while, Gimilkhâd did not reply. He seemed too weak to speak for long periods of time, so when Palantir noticed his eyelids drooping, he looked away, and pressed his hands against his forehead to meditate. It was difficult to find the required calm, however, when the currents were running so strong below the surface as they were now. Unbidden, thoughts of his dying father came to his mind, his dying father who, in his wilful yet desperate pride, had resembled Gimilkhâd so much.

When you reach old age and your limbs wither, you will not resign your Sceptre or give your life away, but crawl to the altars of your outlandish gods to beg for more years of life.

He shuddered. The words of this curse, which had been seared into his brain since that day, still had the power to disquiet him, perhaps now more than ever, with the fateful day approaching when he would have to face his own mortality. He had always thought that he still had time, calculated it as if every year that remained was somehow his due as King, but his brother had been younger than him, and he was in his deathbed.

A faint sound, almost like a groan, interrupted his sombre thoughts.

“What is it?” The word “brother” would not come to his lips, not even now. Whenever he contemplated it, he saw two serpents devouring each other: his father’s dream.

“Do you k-know what? For years, I… for so many years… I could not bear the idea of m… meeting your glance.”

“I know.” Like father, like son, even in this.

“But you do not know why.” For a moment, it seemed to him that Gimilkhâd’s voice had grown steadier, and he blinked, curiously.

“Are you going to tell me now?”

“I was afraid that you would… notice. Realize what I had done.”

“Realize what?” For some reason, Palantir felt a cold weight on his chest at those words.

Gimlkhâd ignored his question.

“I do not care anymore, now. I am d-dying. Why should I care about anything?” He sought his glance, defiantly, and Palantir was taken by a feeling of strangeness, of something being out of place. It was true; in all those years, his brother had never looked at him in the eye. “Go ahead, find it. I d…dare you.”

Perhaps ironically, it was now Palantir who was apprehensive. Forcing himself to overcome this emotion, he stared into Gimilkhâd’s eyes, and sought them for signs of what his brother was thinking. Almost at once, the shape of their mother, pale and clammy as she had been in her own deathbed, rose before them. Palantir’s heart jumped.

He had not expected this.

“I did not want to. It was all her fault. But I wept. I wept until I had no m-more tears, I swear. Sometimes, I st-still dream of her. She blames me, I know sh-she does.” He shivered. “D-do you think it could be her ghost, wh-what is killing me so early?”

Palantir could barely contain his horror. He remembered the Princess, lying in bed in her violet robes, after her spirit was forced away from her body by some invisible power. His father’s fury, when the young Inziladûn had dared to confront him about it. Had he been wrong all this time?

“I did not want to” Gimlkhâd repeated weakly. All of a sudden, his bravado was gone, and with it Palantir’s anger at the foolish young man who had -inadvertently- caused their mother’s death.

“I believe you.” It was not so difficult to say those words as he had thought it would. “Your soul is twisted, and you have done little good in this life, but you did not mean for Mother to die. There were many forces at play for that to happen as it did, and you were the least of them. I am sure she knows it, too.”

For a long time, Gimilkhâd said nothing, merely stared at him, as if his eyes were something that he had discovered only now and needed to explore and commit to his memory before it was too late.

“Your soul is as twisted as mine” he said at last. Palantir sighed. His own disappointment took him by surprise; after all this time, he thought he was familiar enough with his brother’s bitter nature to know that he should expect nothing better from him. “You made Father suffer so much.”

“What happened between me and Father is none of your concern.”

“Oh, is it not? It was because of it that I was b-born!” Gimilkhâd shook his head angrily. “Born because your f-father wants you to replace your brother. Then discarded… because he did not have the guts to do it.”

Palantir lowered his glance. There was too much truth in this to dismiss.

“I am not here to argue with you” he said instead. “You should keep your strength. Perhaps your son will be able to come in time, and then my unwelcome presence will be replaced by his welcome one.”

“Is that one of your prophecies?” Though the tone was scathing, deep inside, Palantir could perceive Gimlkhâd’s raw desire that this could somehow become true. He regretted bringing it up, for it had merely been a possibility, as remote as the stars in the sky in the present circumstances.

“Keep your strength” he repeated, pressing his hand against his burning forehead again.

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“My lord prince.”

“My lord.”

They had been waiting before the entrance of his conference room, for who knows how many hours, perhaps for the sun’s entire journey since it rose beyond the Second Wall until it was about to disappear behind the reefs that guarded the harbour of Umbar. For all that time, he had wandered outside the camp alone, and it must have been a very difficult decision for them to forego sending search parties, knowing well that the supreme commander of the Umbarian troops could be lost in enemy territory. But they either had kept an unshakeable trust in him, in spite of everything, or they had understood, from his demeanour, that today he would prefer to fight Orcs or barbarians to the death rather than be disturbed by his own people.

Merimne was impossible to find, of course. Deep inside, he had known this, even before he set off in his path. Barekbal had been right, there was nothing they could do about it anymore. But he still needed solitude to gather his thoughts, to find a thread which linked them, and, above all, to be able to think them, to examine them until their complexities gave out like a rugged stone turned smooth by the action of the sea. And nobody could see him while he did that; it was bad enough that Barekbal had been there for the worst of it. He tried not to stare at the bandages covering the man’s hands, for he could not afford feeling any more guilt now.

He was the Prince Pharazôn of Númenor, the Golden, general of the Umbar troops. And as soon as he set foot on Númenor, he would acquire new titles to add to those old ones.

“My lord prince, the ship is waiting for you in the harbour…”

“That ship will not be enough” he cut Adherbal before he could finish the sentence. “We will need more. A fleet.”

“What?” Barekbal stared at him, probably wondering if he had gone insane, after all. “A fleet… for what, my lord prince?”

“For Adherbal and his veterans, remember?” Both were staring at him now. “How many are they?”

“Er...I… well…” It took him a moment to find his footing after such an unexpected pronouncement, but Adherbal was never a man to disregard an opening, whether on the battlefield or elsewhere. “About three thousand, my lord prince.”

“That will require quite a number of ships. We can use part of the Umbarian warfleet to transport them. What do you think?”

“May I ask…?” Barekbal insisted, but Pharazôn interrupted him before he could finish the question.

“Why? Or rather, why now? I have decided to resign from my post, and leave Umbar for good, so it is only appropriate that I take them to Númenor with me, so I can see to their well-deserved retirement. And our friend Adherbal together with them, of course. I have to admit it has grown tiring to listen to his constant complaints, though the Lord knows it is the Council he should be addressing them to.”

“What?” For the first time in what could be a lifetime, Barekbal did not seem to have heard the whole pronouncement before reacting. “Leave Umbar for good? But that… but who…?”

To render him speechless might have been a first in his lifetime as well.

“You are still in charge, but it will be for a longer time now. Until you decide to resign, or until the King tires of you. But, as he does not have to listen to you daily, that might never happen if you are lucky.”

“I thought you did not want to go back to Númenor, my lord.”

“And I thought they did not want you back in Númenor either, if I may be so bold”, Adherbal chimed in. After countenancing so much borderline treasonous talk over the years, however, his boldness was entirely justified.

“You are both right, but things have changed now. With the death of my father, I have a duty to claim his title of Prince of the South, as well as his seat in the Council. This is something I cannot do if I stay here.”

“A seat in the Council!” Adherbal sounded horrified. “You want to become a politician, my lord prince?”

“No, but what I want does not matter now.”

“And what about what the King wants? Won’t you need his approval to remain in Númenor and sit on the Council?”

Pharazôn frowned. Tar Palantir had been often in his thoughts today, though he had not particularly wished him to be.

“He will give it.” He tried for a winning smile, but it would not come, not in the mood he was still in. “After all, he is still my uncle. Family has to stick together.”

Barekbal shook his head, but said nothing.

“I will warn the men of the incoming departure, my lord prince, if you give me leave.” Adherbal proposed.

“You have it.” To his ears, his own voice sounded strangely drained, but Adherbal was too happy, and Barekbal too brooding to notice. His resolutions already made, there were no cracks in his composure, no disorder in his thoughts, but the hole, the huge, gaping hole inside him had not closed, nor did it seem like it would for a very long time.

If Númenor was the paradise you all claim it to be, you would not be here.

You were right, Merimne. As usual, he mouthed in silence, wondering if the desert ghost would be able to hear his words.

 

A New Life

Read A New Life

The room lay in almost complete darkness. Its windows had been draped in heavy curtains of blue velvet which prevented the sunlight from shining through, so that only the glow of a few candles lit his path towards the deathbed. For a moment, he stood there, blinking, until his eyes became accustomed enough to this dim twilight as to see what lay there.

Death must have been unkind to Gimilkhâd’s looks, at least as much as life had been in his later days. But the embalmers, who had been forced to intervene at an early stage to prevent the body from decomposing before Pharazôn arrived, knew how to force beauty and dignity out of the grisliest fate. The Prince of the South did not look old anymore, or sad, or suffering. He was dressed in his best, crowned and cloaked in purple and gold, and his hair had been dyed and arranged as artfully as it had been whenever he visited the Temple in the high days. The wrinkles in his forehead had been smoothed out, and if his gaze would remain eternally fixed on the same point of the horizon, Pharazôn only had to stand there, and he could pretend that his father was looking at him.

He looks so much happier now, a sinister voice murmured in the back of his mind. One could almost be tempted into dying by the promise of looking like this, of an embalmer carving one’s features into a semblance of calm, sorrowless majesty. It was no wonder that so many people had been led to believe that death was the gate to a higher plane of existence, when given such works to admire.

And yet, it was a lie. His father had not looked like this in life or in death, or at least not for a very long time. And he had died in pain and fear, alone, feeling the darkness surround him and knowing that he was powerless to fight it. Pharazôn had seen so many people die that, even without having been in the room at the time, he knew. For every person like Merimne, or his mother, who were brave or misguided enough to let Death embrace them like a lover, there were thousands who died in terror.

“Did he leave any last words before he passed away?” His voice did not shake as he asked. The woman who was sitting next to the bed -had she been just an attendant, or a lover? Just by the expression on the sombre features, he could not tell-, shook her head.

“Not as he died, my lord prince. The King was here. But there was something that he said often in his last days, and he mentioned your name in connection with it.”

“Oh, yes? And what was it?”

“At times, the late Prince of the South mentioned a ring” The speech of Court ladies was so slow, he had almost forgotten how irritating it could be. “He asked where it was, my lord. Once, he wished to know what you had done with it, but I did not know what to tell him.”

Pharazôn was tempted to sigh.

“I see.” In the end, his father had not forgotten about that. Of all things he could have said in the last moments of his life… “I suppose you did not.”

For a moment, the woman’s glance betrayed a flicker of curiosity, and as he looked at her, Pharazôn could see that she was trying to decide whether it was appropriate to ask the next question.

“Thanks for telling me this”, he told her curtly, turning away from the shadows with a deep bow at the dead man.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

In all his life, he had never been summoned to a private audience by the King, not even when he had to appear before the Council after the destruction of Gadir. This was slightly unusual, for Tar Palantir, always the enemy of crowds, preferred to deal with his enemies one by one. Pharazôn had not found reason to complain of this treatment in the past, as the King had a way to make people nervous, and his own father had been fleeing that unsettling glance for all his life. But he was not his father, and at this point, there were no smokescreens left to hide him from his fate.

Gimilkhâd had been the last one.

“I offer you my deepest condolences for the death of your father, the Prince of the South”, the King spoke. They were not in the late Ar Gimilzôr’s audience chamber, that large, forbidding hall with the obsidian floors, but in a mere back garden, sitting at both sides of a small ivory table supporting a tray with pots of warm wine. Apparently, Tar Palantir did not feel that he needed any external trappings to support his authority.

“Thank you, my lord King” he replied with a dutiful bow.

“I am pleased to be able to tell you that he died painlessly, and peacefully.” Liar. “Now, he will find repose and comfort beyond the Circles of the World.”

“Perhaps.” To be honest, Pharazôn would have preferred to be dragged before the Council to be questioned, like the last time, rather than to be forced to bear this empty demonstration of sympathy. “There are many different ideas of what happens after death, but the truth is that nobody who knows for sure has ever returned to enlighten us.”

Tar Palantir frowned, but said nothing. For a while, he busied himself with an elaborate show of pouring the wine in two silver cups.

“I have heard reports from Sor” he spoke at last. Now, that was more like it. “You came with an entire fleet of veterans from Umbar, and you left them there when you headed for Armenelos, causing considerable disruption.”

“Those men have ended their service. They are not causing trouble on purpose, my lord King, but they are many and in need of immediate feeding and housing while they wait to be relocated where they can spend the remainder of their days. If I had left them in Umbar, they would have caused disruption in Umbar, and if I had brought them with me to Armenelos, they would have caused disruption in Armenelos” he gave his carefully prepared answer.

“There could be question as to whether you had the authority to decide that so many men had to ‘end their service’ at once, not to mention bring them with you, instead of leaving them where they were to await the Council’s decision. This situation has no precedent that I know of.”

“Most of these men are already past the age in which they should have retired, but the Council may have been too busy to notice. And I did not consider it right to abandon them in Middle-Earth when I intended not to return. Their fate has been entwined with mine for so long that it would have been an act of ungratefulness to leave them at the other side of the Great Sea, waiting for a decision which might or might not come. I regret that this has caused any inconvenience, my lord King, but I trust it will be but a temporary thing.”

Palantir’s frown increased, and his gaze was set on his. Pharazôn needed to gather the composure he had perfected from many years of facing Orcs, Haradrim, and creatures of Darkness to withstand it.

“So, you freely admit to bringing them here to pressure the Sceptre and the Council into agreeing with their demands.”

“Demands?” Pharazôn pretended to be outraged, and succeeded only too well. “I fail to understand why you see them as enemies, my lord King. They have spent their lives fighting for you!”

“A man who is used to take what he wants by violence will not keep friends apart from foes when he is thwarted. He may protect Númenor one day, and become its worst enemy the next.” The double meaning of the King’s words was so unsubtly laid out that Pharazôn had to wonder if he took him for an idiot, or merely sought to provoke him.

“If a man is considered an enemy even though he has proved plenty of times that he is not, he may become what he is suspected of” he replied. “I do not know anything about ruling, but I know something about leading men in war, and if I had treated the soldiers as if they were going to turn on me at the next moment, I would not be sitting here now.”

“Some men are fast to imagine grievances so they can be excused for acting against laws and authorities that they do not respect.”

Pharazôn drank a large swallow of warm wine. The unreality of this conversation was starting to get to him.

“Forgive me, my lord King. As I said, I know little about ruling, and less still about politics. In Umbar, we call things by their name, and speak bluntly to one another’s face, so that is what I am used to do. As I see it, the problem here is that you do not trust me, and you do not trust my soldiers because you think they are only loyal to me.” Tar Palantir made as if to speak, but Pharazôn pretended not to have noticed it; it was imperative that he finished what he was saying. “I do not know what I have done to deserve this, except having been born the son of the Prince of the South, and the kinsman of Lord Magon of Gadir. But if that is reason enough, then the Lords of Andúnië should have stayed in exile, since their ancestors were rebels and traitors.”

Tar Palantir’s grey eyes had now become the colour of a deadly storm. Pharazôn could see why he had made his father uneasy.

“Despite your claims, I have always treated you according to your actions. I see you are used to charm people into believing your lies, but my mind is not such that it can be clouded by such feeble wisps of smoke.” He paused for a moment, as if defying him to be angry. “You claim to prefer a simple life in the mainland, and yet you have chosen to let it all go without a moment’s hesitation, as soon as you saw an opening which you could use to achieve what you truly desire.  You claim to be nauseated by politics, and yet you want your father’s seat in the Council, where you can be closer to the Sceptre. You claim to know little of ruling, but you are here because you wish to rule, usurping my daughter’s right. You have returned to Númenor because you have smelled the scent of a decaying corpse, and I do not mean that of your father!”

Pharazôn looked into his cup, forcing himself not to gape. That man was as good at blunt speech as the best of the Haradrim, curse him. It was the first time that he had seen this side of him.

He could not afford to be careless.

“If that is what you think of me, my lord King” he said, his tone perfectly even, so much that it reminded him of the lady who sat at his father’s deathbed, “then you should be glad that I wish to leave the mainland. As a Council member, there is little I can do but undermine you with words; with an army, I was more powerful than I will ever be as the Prince of the South. I have surrendered my weapons to you, and you would be well advised to accept them.”

“And that is why you brought those veterans. To dazzle me with the threat of your old power, which you are surrendering, as if this could make me lose sight of the other ways in which you could try to bring harm to Númenor and myself. “Palantir shook his head; whether in disgust or in disappointment, Pharazôn was not able to tell. “You have a claim to your father’s Council seat, and refusing it to you would only reinforce the image of falsely wronged loyalty that your father and your supporters have so carefully cultivated. But from now on, you will have no say in what happens in the mainland or with its soldiers, as you are no longer concerned with matters of armies and warfare. You are a Prince of Númenor, and you will advise me on the governance of the Island.”

Pharazôn raised his glance from the cup, and for a moment, their eyes met again. His hands clenched over the cold metal.

“As you wish, my lord King.”

“You are dismissed now.”

Carefully, he set the cup aside, unfinished, and stood up, bowing low as he did so. His pace was quick as he left the august presence, and only after he had crossed the threshold of the waiting room, he allowed himself to seize a moment of blissful solitude in the darkness of the corridor to let go of a long, shuddering breath. Slowly, the tension trickled out of his chest, substituted by a feeling of relief and triumph.

He had not seen it. The King of Númenor could see many things, and guess many secrets tightly hidden in one’s soul, but he had been able to prevent him from seeing the one thing that he could never, ever know.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“He does not know anything.” Zimraphel chuckled, even as she languidly kissed his face in the dimly lit room. “He cannot let go of what he thinks that he knows, so he can know in truth. He is no different from all those others who cannot let go of what they see with the eyes in their faces, and so are unable to look at the world with the other eyes.”

Pharazôn was already used to this kind of speech, and could even claim that he understood most of it at this point. Not all, of course, as he was not able to fathom from his own experience what having “the other eyes” was like.

“Is this how you prevent him from looking inside you?”

“No one can look inside me” she claimed, between kisses which were growing fiercer by the second. “I am fathomless, like the Sea.”

“That is not true!” he laughed, risking her displeasure. “I am looking inside you now. And I know what you want.”

To have this rarest glimpse of her black eyes turning even darker with raw need was the greatest accomplishment he could ever achieve in his lifetime; not even defeating Sauron would compare with it. Their lovemaking always had this hungry and desperate edge whenever they had not seen each other in a long time, and the risk of discovery hung over their heads to magnify every single emotion. Once, she had told him that whenever she lay in his arms, all her visions went away, and she could only see with the normal eyes of mortals. It did not last more than a few instants, and yet to her it was an even greater bliss than the spasms of pleasure themselves.

“I missed you” he whispered in her ear. “I missed you so much.”

“I am glad that you finally decided to stay.”

“Zimraphel, if it had depended on me…”

“If it had depended on you, you would still be in the mainland” she cut him, reproachfully. It seemed that today was the day in which everyone refused to believe him. “It was your father’s death what made you react. And the death of that woman. Do you know that she cut her throat herself? She was not afraid, not at all. She was smiling.” Her ivory forehead was slightly marred by the imperfection of a frown. “I envy her.”

Years ago, Pharazôn would have been unsettled. He might even have fled her embrace, in an instinctive panic that he had not experienced when facing the deadliest of his enemies. That, however, had been years ago, too many to count.

“I am glad to know that.” He caressed the frown away. “Thank you.”

She did not bestow her gifts under pressure, plea, or command, unless she wished to, like the goddess of the Forbidden Cave. Usually, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason in the way in which she did so, but that did not concern him as much as it used to, either. She seemed to have some kind of instinct advising her of what was truly important, and he was forced to admit that, in spite of her pretended irrationality, she was often right.

“You will do well in the Council. All you need to do is learn to get along with my husband.”

“Is that all?” Pharazôn snorted. “I believe I prefer to fight the nine Ringwraiths rather than sitting next to Prince Vorondil.”

Zimraphel laughed, an almost innocent sound. Suddenly, she struggled to her knees and arched her back, the only warning he received before she fell on top of him. He pretended to complain, but it was not long since their games devolved into a second round of lovemaking.

“Are you tired now?” she whispered, millions of years later, their limbs entwined as if each of them was one another’s second skin. As he lay there, his body against hers, his mad imagination made him feel her power pulsating against him, filling him even, and allowing him to see with the eyes of the gods for the brief span of a moment. He saw himself holding the Sceptre, ruling in Armenelos, conquering the mainland and the entire world.

“You are not the first man who has felt like this after bedding the woman he loves” she smiled sardonically, reading him like an open book. Embarrassed, he dislodged the visions from his mind.

“My father asked for the ring in his deathbed” he said, changing the subject. “Apparently, he wanted to know what I had done with it.”

Gently, the Princess of the West disentangled herself from his embrace, and left the bed. Her absence felt colder than it should, at this time of the year.

“Do you mean this ring?”

He stared at her outstretched palm, where the golden serpent turned in a circle over a bed of rubies. Shaking his head, he sought for the chain of the amulet that he kept always hanging around his neck, the precious stone she had given him, long ago, to protect him from evil.

“I own no rings. I exchanged the one I had for this, long ago, and have not regretted it ever since.”

Zimraphel’s lips curved into a tentative grin, her eyes gazing at her gift, then at his.

“You know the power that this ring has. If you still owned it, you could have made my father yield to all your demands without taking recourse to subterfuge and grovelling.”

“Well, I still achieved what I wanted, didn’t I?” Pharazôn shrugged, letting the stone rest against his chest again. “And it is always more rewarding, to do things the hard way.”

Zimraphel laid the ring on her finger, as if trying to see if she looked good wearing it. As it was to be expected, it was too large for her small, graceful fingers, and she took it off again, turning it over her palm until the serpent was facing her.

“He does not know anything” she smiled, as if happy about something she had just been reminded of. “Anything at all.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil sat on the porch, a good vantage point from which he could watch everything that happened in the courtyard. A cool Autumn breeze was blowing across the Andúnië mansion of Armenelos, shaking the treetops above their heads, and producing a low rumble which vaguely reminded him of the Sea during a storm. This brought him unwelcome memories of the storm that raged in their minds at night, the fateful shared dream which had become more recurring and vivid than ever before in the last year.

For a while, he remembered, he had dared to believe that it had died with him, that either Amalket’s descendants could not be plagued by his affliction or that, being born in the time of Palantir, they had been blessed with nights of peace and quiet. Even he had stopped dreaming for a blissful while, until the day that Isildur returned from Ashad’s house, deathly pale, and asked him about the Wave.

The deranged house of Andúnië, their enemies would say, if they knew. And not only their enemies: he knew only too well that Amalket blamed him, irrationally enough, for the visions that tormented her grandchildren.

“Now!” The clash of practice swords rose above the din of the gale, and Amandil focused on the voices. “There, that is very good, you see?”

He forced himself to pay attention to the fight. Young Anárion was learning how to hold his own, though he was still more than a little hesitant to let go of his conscious mind and surrender to the pull of instinct. Unless he somehow managed to overcome that barrier, Amandil thought, he might make a decent warrior, but he would never be a great one.

Not that it mattered, he told himself at once, almost guiltily. There was no reason why Anárion should ever fight: there were many more options in his life than being a soldier in the mainland or a Palace Guard, and he certainly did not need to earn money as an instructor. Still, he had been taught swordsmanship, and he took it as seriously as anything else he had ever learned. Amandil had to admit that, when one was having nightmares, exhausting oneself to the brink of collapse might not be such a bad idea.

Perhaps he should try it himself.

A clatter interrupted his musings, and he looked to see that his grandson had just been disarmed again. Elendil was too honest to let him win even once, though at least he tried to be encouraging, in his own way.

“You were doing very well, but when you parried the last blow, you should not have left your left flank unguarded” he was explaining now. Anárion nodded several times, even as he crouched to pick up his sword from the floor. His forehead was wrinkled in a frown of concentration, as if he was trying to commit to his memory every word of his father’s explanation. Yet one more thing to add to the already long list of distractions that prevented him from winning.

“He has to stop thinking! Only then he may realize that it is much easier than how he makes it to be.”

Amazed, Amandil wondered if he had somehow spoken his thoughts aloud, even without meaning to. Almost at once, however, he realized that he had not, and that someone else had said it. Someone else who had just sprung upon him, unannounced as ever.

“Pharazôn! What… what on Earth are you doing here?”

“Amandil” his friend acknowledged him with a nod, before engulfing him in a strong embrace. As always, he had come in disguise, but there was no mistaking the golden skin under those dark curls, or the gleam of joy in the hazel eyes as they met his. “And there is Elendil, too. And this one is… Anárion, isn’t he?”

“Be welcome to the Andúnië mansion” Elendil’s voice reached his ears from behind his back. Both had approached them while they greeted each other, abandoning their practice swords on the courtyard floor. Anárion just gave a shy nod, muttering something as he did so, but Elendil walked towards Pharazôn and bowed formally. “We wish to offer our deepest condolences for the death of the Prince of the South.”

Right. Pharazôn’s father. He had only just died, and the Palace still harboured his body until it was ready to pass under the Meneltarma in a fortnight. Pharazôn had sailed to the Island only to bury and mourn him, and Amandil should have been the one to say those words.

“Do not worry”, Pharazôn said to him, as if he had detected his sudden embarrassment and guessed his thoughts. “He was my father, but I know how you felt towards him.”

That was nothing, he only tried to have me killed once. Your grandfather tried much harder, he thought, but he knew that Elendil would gaze reproachfully at him if he said that aloud.

“Yes, but I would be offering my condolences to you, not him.”

“Fair enough.” Pharazôn bowed politely. “I accept them then. But I did not mean to disrupt your fighting, or practicing, or whatever it is that you were doing.”

“Well, a visit from you is not something which happens every day.”

He had the feeling that his friend had been waiting for him to say just this.

“Not any longer. From now on, you will see me much more often. I have relinquished my post in the mainland, and claimed my father’s seat in the Council.”

“What?” Amandil stared at him, wondering if he could have heard correctly. Pharazôn would not be making jokes during his mourning period, would he? Especially not when he was sober, and there were witnesses. “You did what?”

“I will henceforth live in the South Wing of the Palace, sit in the Council of Armenelos, and be addressed as Prince of the South. The King has decreed it.” His friend’s stare was almost defiant, as if daring him to object or register his disbelief at such a surprising pronouncement.

“Congratulations, my lord prince”, Elendil said, with a sincerity that was clearly evident under the trappings of courtesy. “I am very glad to hear this, though the occasion is sorrowful.”

“Congratulations, my lord prince” Anárion repeated after his father. Pharazôn smiled at them in return -but not so sincerely, Amandil thought, looking closely at his features.

“Thank you, thank you. By the way, before you noticed my presence, I was looking at the way you fought. And I must say, you should stop worrying so much about what your opponent’s next move is going to be, and how you are going to counter it. You should just follow your instinct. Have you ever seen your grandfather fight?”

“No, my lord”, Anárion replied. “He does not engage in practice swordplay.”

“A wise attitude. Once that you have fought for your life, you cannot quite return to the proper frame of mind. For him, there are no opponents anymore, there are only enemies. You are not his enemy; therefore, he cannot fight you.”

“Is that your excuse as well, my lord?” Elendil asked. Pharazôn grinned.

“Are you challenging me?”

“No, he is not”, Amandil frowned. Since Elendil told him that Pharazôn had tried to convince him to go to the mainland, years ago, he had been irrationally worried that his friend would somehow succeed in waking his son’s warrior spirit one day, as he often did whenever he set his mind to something. Elendil could take care of himself, as he had proved more than enough times, but even knowing this, this fear had stubbornly refused to depart. And now, there was Isildur to consider as well…

As if he had guessed his thoughts, Pharazôn’s features adopted an inquiring expression.

“And your other son? Where is he?”

“Isildur is in Andúnië, with his mother and sister”, Elendil replied. “He is not very fond of Armenelos. Or of practicing swordsmanship, to say the truth.”

“I cannot believe that he would not excel at it, his father and grandfather being who they are!”

“Oh, no, it is not that. He excels at it, indeed, so much that it bores him. There is not enough of a challenge, he says.” Elendil sighed. Pharazôn laughed.

“That is more like it! I also remember feeling that way once. I thought that there was no challenge worth that name in the Island, so I left and tried to find one elsewhere. Now, I have returned, and I am afraid that this place is still as boring as it used to be back then.”

Yes, Amandil thought, the Island was boring, and entirely too small to hold Isildur for long. But that should be none of Pharazôn’s concern.

“Then, why did you return?”

As usual, Elendil was able to gather the shifts in his mood without the need for signs or words. With a brief nod in his direction, he gestured towards Anárion.

“I am very glad to see you here, my lord prince. Now, if you allow us, we will return to our practice and leave you both to your own company, for you must have much to say to each other.”

For a while, both were content to see the father and the son descend the steps towards the courtyard, where dusk was already beginning to fall. As they picked up their swords again, the wind suddenly started blowing with a greater intensity, tearing leaves away from their trees and chasing them in circles across the stone paths.

Pharazôn broke the silence first.

“You seem surprised”.

“I am not surprised. I am astonished,” Amandil corrected. “You hated the Council. And the Palace. And Armenelos.”

“Can I claim I have changed my mind?”

“I am sure the King did not believe that, so why should I? I should know you much better than he does.”

“Then, why do you think I am here? According to him, I have been driven by the smell of his rotting corpse, like a vulgar carrion bird.”

Amandil stared.

“I cannot believe he said that.”

“Well, in case you have not noticed, he despises me.”

“Still…” What on Earth had been going on in the Palace in those last days? For some time, Amandil had harboured the suspicion that the King excluded him from his confidence whenever Pharazôn was concerned, because he did not trust him on that subject. And perhaps he was right. He was indeed disposed to think the best of Pharazôn, ever since he had befriended him in the Temple gardens as a boy, and if a part of his mind attributed twisted designs to him, another would instinctively rise to defend him even as he tried to harbour the thought.

And yet, this…

“So? Why do you think I am here, then? I wish to know if your judgement is any kinder than his.”

Amandil tried to meet the challenging stare without flinching. As he did so, he caught his friend at unawares, and for a moment he saw something poignant lurking behind his nonchalant pretence.

“I would not judge you before I heard you. So, tell me, why did you come back?”

Pharazôn’s eyes hardened.

“To claim what is mine, as my father wished.”

“And what is yours?” Amandil tried, in vain, to keep the accusation away from his voice. Far away, at an almost unfathomable distance, Anárion had been disarmed again; his sword ricocheted against one of the columns of the porch.

“The seat in the Council and the title, of course”.

“And the Sceptre?”

Pharazôn held his gaze for a very long time, with such intensity that at some point Amandil thought that he was going to hit him. Inside his soul, two opposite impulses were battling one another: the first wanted Pharazôn to do it so he could hit him back, while the other strove to apologize and defuse the tension. Refusing to surrender to either of them proved a greater effort than he could have imagined.

“Would you fight me?”

The words took him at unawares, to the extent that for a moment he was not sure of whether they had been a proposal, a threat, or a mere question. He blinked.

“Fight you?”

“Now. As your son and your grandson are doing, with practice swords.”

Oh. In spite of the tension, Amandil had to marvel at how some mysterious link remained there in spite of everything, for he had been yearning for the same thing, exactly at the same time.

“Yes, but somewhere private, where they cannot see us.”

“This is your house. Lead the way.”

It was surprisingly easy, to find two practice swords, lock the door of his study and descend the steps to its small back garden. As they fell into a stance, Amandil could not help but think of how often they had done this in the past, when both were much younger and used to meet in the Temple villa.

The first attack was initiated by him, and fiercely countered by Pharazôn. Slightly out of practice as he was, the lord of Andúnië had to hold to his balance to avoid being thrown backwards. He expected to be taunted, but Pharazôn was alarmingly silent.

The second assault was launched by Pharazôn; the third, again, by him. He did no longer remember their fights from before, after all, he suddenly realized, or else this was nothing like them anymore. It reminded him of other, more recent fights in the mainland, against the Arnians or the Haradrim.

For him, there are no opponents anymore, there are only enemies. Pharazôn’s words earlier reverberated in his head as he tried to parry with increasingly erratic movements. You are not his enemy; therefore, he cannot fight you.

Is that how it was, then? Or was this just a very elaborate charade, merely to avoid answering his question? Did he think he could distract Amandil from his concerns with... this?

“You are just like your grandson.” Agony exploded in his right hand, and this time he did lose his balance. His kneecaps connected with the floor, and for a moment he could not see anything but a blur of light. Forcing himself not to cry out, he tried to ride the wave of pain. “You think too much.” He was pushed to the floor, and the blunt sword tip pushed against his throat.

Amandil did not move, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of seeing him struggle or beg. His situation was already humiliating enough as it was.

“If you wish to kill me, you will need a sharper sword than that” he said at last, tired of the pretence. Pharazôn arched an eyebrow, but he finally let him go. After a few moments, in which he seemed to be pondering something, he offered his hand to help him up. Amandil hesitated.

Suddenly, Pharazôn withdrew his hand, and sat on the ground next to him.

“My cousin is the heir to the Sceptre, Amandil. We were childhood friends, like you and I, in spite of our elders, also like you and I. I would never do anything to hurt her interests.” At long last, he allowed his lips to curve into a grin. “And you are very out of practice.”

“So will you” Amandil’s attempts to catch breath were still painfully obvious in his voice. He winced. “The… longer you stay here.”

“A bleak prospect.” Pharazôn leaned back, his arms behind him for support. Amandil, however, had not given up yet.

“Then, why did you do this? What are you trying to achieve?”

“To turn the King’s life into a nightmare.” As if amused by Amandil’s shock, the Prince of the South snorted. “But that does not necessarily mean treason and murder.”

“If you are too much of a thorn on his side, he will merely exile you back.”

“He will not. He does not want me anywhere near an army again. I am like your Revered Father Yehimelkor, a thorny problem, but I am his nephew, and he cannot expel me from the Council, so he will have to deal with me, as he already had to deal with my father. Except that I am a thousand times worse.”

“Do not overestimate yourself. “

“Of course not.”

“Oh, by the Valar’s sake! Do you have to do this? Must you leave the life that made you happy, only for the sake of a crusade against a King who is doing his best to stabilize the realm? Does your father’s ghost demand that much from you? You knew who he was before he died, why are you so intent on following his wishes now?”

“This is not only about him.” Pharazôn’s glance became lost somewhere in the distance, where the shadows were already too long for Amandil to see a thing.

“Is it Gadir? Your mother?”  he insisted. “You belong to the royal line of Númenor. Should you be imperilling the realm for the sake of petty feuds?

“Is it so difficult to believe that I would fight for what I believe is right? Because when the King or your Revered Father say the same, you believe them. Have they done any less harm to Númenor than I have? Have they?”

Amandil looked at Pharazôn, speechless. For a moment, it seemed to him as if the man before him had been suddenly replaced by a stranger, whose serious gaze scrutinized him as penetratingly as the King’s eyes ever did. The feeling was so uncomfortable, so alien, that he could not prevent himself from flinching unconsciously, as if from a very bright fire.

This was insane.

“If it is difficult to believe, it is because in the past, you have never claimed to be fulfilling any high moral purpose” he replied at last, aware that he was being evasive, and despising himself a little for it. “And yes, I know, you have never committed treason either, so please let us call it a draw and stop this absurd quarrel, shall we? We will be fighting enough in public as to do so in private as well.”

“It is not a draw. I defeated you. Soundly, I might add.” Before Amandil could say anything to this, Pharazôn laughed. The lord of Andúnië let go of the breath he did not know he was holding, and his throat made a strangled noise as well, one that could vaguely be identified with his own laughter.

“I will pay for the wine, then.”

“No”. Ruefully, Pharazôn rose to his knees, and then to his feet, shaking off the dust off his clothes. “I am in mourning, remember.”

Amandil had never felt so disappointed that they could not overindulge in cheap alcohol at night.

“I forgot. Sorry.”

“But I will hold you to it in the future.” It was already so dark that Pharazôn had to fumble around for a while before he managed to find the cloak that he had discarded before the fight. “Meanwhile, be a good lord of Andúnië, and try to set a good example for your two generations of descendants.”

As he heard his footsteps disappear in the distance, then the door slide open and click shut, Amandil remained there, lying on the floor in a motionless position. He tried to empty his mind, but the thoughts kept pouring inside it like rain in a thunderstorm.

Was he, Amandil of Andúnië, fighting for what he believed was right? Or was he merely too selfish to let go of his friendship?

Somehow, he thought, gazing wistfully at the rising stars, he did not wish to know the answer to this.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Before we begin this session, we bid welcome to Pharazôn, son of Gimilkhâd, Prince of the South, who stands among us today as heir to his father, may Eru have his soul.”

Amandil nodded like the others, perceiving smothered echoes of a turmoil which affected the entire Chamber around him. It was not hostile, he observed, except in his immediate surroundings, where a brooding Hiram of Sorontil had taken his father’s place as Lord of Forostar, and neither Prince Vorondil nor Lord Shemer bothered to hide their displeasure at the fact that the son of Gimilkhâd had been given what he wanted. The rest of the councilmen held expressions which ranged from approving to neutral, mostly on the side of approval, he checked himself, wondering why this still surprised him. Pharazôn was very popular in Armenelos, and the councilmen did not live in another island, separated from the rest of men. That many of them had been among those who believed the former Prince of the South to be a traitor and protested the decision to send his son to the Bay did not mean much, either: life was long, in Númenor even longer than in other places, which made a degree of fickleness inevitable. And, he had to admit, Pharazôn had done a good job of changing their minds with his heroic stunts.

As the first point of the discussion was introduced, however, Amandil had not expected such open support for the demands of the soldiers in Sor -or, should he say, of Pharazôn’s demands for them. The Governor of Sor was the one most directly concerned by this issue, as they were staying in his territory, so perhaps it was understandable that he should advocate for a prompt agreement between the implicated parts, but he abstained from voicing any concrete complaints for the attitude of the veterans, which was remarkable. The Umbarian representative was Pharazôn’s ally, and he was no doubt feeling very grateful that the problem had been lifted off his shoulders, but people like Amandil’s own private enemy, the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay, or the courtiers, had no reason to get involved in something that was of no consequence to them, and yet they were nodding in fierce approval whenever Pharazôn opened his mouth.

“These men subdued the tribes of Harad, conquered Arne and defied Sauron! And now, they do not even have a place to stay, in the Island which has been kept safe with their blood and their toil!”

“So, according to the Prince of the South, there are only two choices: to discharge over three thousand men at once and welcome them into Númenor, or to do nothing at all and be reviled as ungrateful. But this alternative is false, and I reject it!” Hiram argued. “This is an issue that should have been solved in stages, by age, by time of service, case by case, and in the mainland! It is the Prince of the South who had decided to bring them here, to this very Island he seems to care about so little, threatening it with chaos and disruption!”

“Well, perhaps if this Council had been more attentive to their demands in the past, it would be trusted to do so in the future!”

“It is not the place of a soldier to determine how and when his demands should be heard by the Council!” Prince Vorondil stood to face Pharazôn, pure hostility radiating from his gaze. Since Lord Shemer’s son had married the Princess of the West, Amandil knew that he viewed Pharazôn as a threat to his position, but now that his friend had decided to return to Númenor, this feeling seemed to have been increased by a thousandfold. “Nor is it your place! You are not the King of Númenor, and considering what we have just witnessed, I am sure that we are all the better for it!”

Pharazôn shrugged contemptuously.

“Little as you may know of what it means to be a leader of men in distant and perilous lands, I am sure you will understand that it is necessary to establish close bonds of trust, or chaos and self-preservation will soon take over. I am not the King of Númenor, as you remind me, perhaps believing I may be confused on this fine point. But in those lands, I am the closest representative of the King, of the Council, or of Númenor that they could ever hope to meet! They trusted me to defend their interests, and so I shall.”

Now, it was the King himself who intervened.

“You are no longer their commander now. You are a member of this Council.”

“But for this one thing, my lord king. I promised them that if I could retire, so should they. And if they cannot, I will have to go with them.”

“That is not much of a threat.” Vorondil laughed. “This Council has managed to advise the King without you for thousands of years!”

But the greater part of the Chamber was not laughing. Amandil could hear the low rumble of their murmurations, and he was sure that Pharazôn was able to hear them too. He rose again, looking taller than before, and for a moment Amandil was reminded of that strange instant in his garden several nights ago, when his friend’s glance had turned into something that he had never seen before.

Is it so difficult to believe that I would fight for what I believe is right?

No, he thought, it was not difficult to believe that Pharazôn would defend his veterans because of a sense of morality, of the respect for bonds of trust given and received. But if he was to do it here, now, and in this manner, Amandil found that could not blame the King or his kinsmen for thinking otherwise. He did not even know what he thought himself, and the worst of all was that he felt guilty for even thinking.

Since when had this friendship, which he had fought so ardently to preserve, started to become a trap?

“The wild tribesmen of Harad have a custom. When their warriors can no longer fight, they walk into the desert, and they are not seen again. This is done to avoid wasting resources on people who are too old to be of use. It is a barbaric practice, a terrible crime that seems beyond even the black race of the Orcs, and yet it is done among our fellow Men. Are we so far apart from them as we would like to believe, or is this an evidence to the contrary?”

Now, he had definitely gone too far. The murmurations rose, and Hiram jumped to his feet to protest his outrage among a ruckus which made it difficult even for Amandil, who was sitting next to him, to hear his words. In the middle of it, he could not prevent himself from stealing a passing glance in the King’s direction, and he was shocked at how weary he looked. Until this day, the passing of years had not seemed to have much effect on him, but now his younger brother was dead, and his present appearance was like an uncomfortable reminder of this fact. Amandil remembered Pharazôn’s words on corpses, stench, and carrion birds, and all of a sudden they seemed so appropriate, so terribly and accurately appropriate, that it shook him to the core that Palantir himself had been the one to speak them.

“Silence!” the herald cried, reinforcing the impression that the King’s own strength was much diminished. “Silence!”

Little by little, the arguments subsided, and everyone sat down, some more reluctantly than others.  Pharazôn was the last to do so.

“We will appoint a commission to determine which lands can accommodate the veterans, and in which number and conditions. Those who want to do so, who have families, and certainly the oldest among them, will be able to stay in Númenor, but there are many who, once retired, might prefer to continue to live in the mainland.” Tar Palantir frowned. “It is remarkable, Prince Pharazôn, that you have both started and ended your career in the mainland with acts of insubordination. You will not be part of that commission, and in the future you will remain removed from all affairs pertaining to the army and the colonies. I hope that this will help you focus his gaze in Númenor and its inhabitants, whose welfare will concern you now.” Their eyes met only briefly, as it seemed, and yet there was as much determination there, from both parts, as for their exchange to have lasted ages. “This Council is dismissed for today. Praised be Eru the Almighty.”

Only when he was already outside, saluting his peers in the antechamber, Amandil realized that for, the first time since he joined the Council, he had not spoken one word for the length of the session.

 

A Shadow from the Mainland

Read A Shadow from the Mainland

Isildur stopped for a moment, taking great gasps of breath as he floated in the Sea, his body rocked by the waves. The coast was too close still: he could see the rocky cliffs of Andúnië looming behind him like the Wave of his dreams, and just as impossible to escape. Before him, however, the horizon that he sought remained veiled by clouds, invisible and inscrutable to his eyes. He wiped the itch of the salt away from them to focus his gaze ahead, wondering why the silence always got to him before exhaustion or fear ever did. It could drive a man to madness, if he were to float adrift like this, alone, for days, hearing nothing but the dull hum of the current and the sound of his own breath.

Since he was a child, learning how to swim his first clumsy strokes, he had always been intrigued by the knowledge that this way had been forbidden to Men. His young mind had begun speculating feverishly about what could happen, if he were to stray too far from the shores of his homeland. He had imagined monsters emerging from the deep to swallow him, or the Sea suddenly ending and dropping him into an abyss of nothingness, or perhaps a fog descending on him and veiling his eyes until he could not see the Island anymore or remember where it was. In time, this irrepressible, secret curiosity had spurred him on to cover greater distances, but no matter how he tried his body, he had never seen anything but the infinite expanse of the Sea, its billowing currents always the same wherever he would turn.

According to Malik, who always waited for him where he could still feel the earth beneath his feet, this attitude was utterly incomprehensible. It was one thing to wish for a glorious death, but to be lost at sea had to be the least appealing fate imaginable. Isildur had tried to explain that it was not death he was seeking, but for something great, out of the ordinary to happen, though he was not sure that his friend had understood the difference. Perhaps, a voice inside his head spoke truthfully, he is the one who is right: there is no difference, and you are a fool. A fool who saw cataclysms in his mind so often that he was starting to confuse his dreams with reality.

Many in the house of Andúnië see those things, and yet they do not use them as an excuse to behave like fools, his father would have probably said to this. Isildur grimaced, and took a sharp breath before beginning the long, tortuous way back home. That was not entirely true, either, for Elendil himself did not dream. The curse had skipped him, so who knows how he would have behaved if he did? As for Amandil, Isildur knew that he had done his fair share of foolish things before he settled down into the respectability that he enjoyed now.

By the time he reached the stone stairs -there used to be a small beach underneath them, but the midsummer tides had swallowed it, together with part of the stairs themselves-, his lungs were screaming for air, and his arms felt as if they had been made of lead. For a while, he just stayed there, his hand grabbing the stone as if it were a lifeline, but unable to find the strength to hoist himself up. Malik, who was basking under the afternoon sun, raised an eyebrow in acknowledgement of his presence, but did not move a finger to help him.

“Thank you” he said, though his voice came out so weak that the sarcasm was almost lost. Malik snorted.

“I am too old to fall for that one. If I came anywhere near you, I would be in the water before I had the time to utter even one curse.”

“Coward.”

“If Eru had created Men to live in the water, I would be a coward for keeping away from it. But we have lungs to breathe air, and legs to walk and run on solid ground, which means that I am right, and you are wrong.”

Isildur rolled over the stone surface, biting back a groan as its rough edges sank against his skin.

“And yet it was you, who wished to come here.”

“That was because I wanted to feel the sun.”

“That was because you wanted to stay away from the house, you liar.” Earlier in the week, Isildur’s great-grandfather Númendil had arrived in Andúnië for one of his rare visits, accompanied by three Elves from Lindon. It was not the first time he had seen one of the deathless folk, himself: back when he was twelve, Númendil had brought another of his friends and introduced him to his family. Isildur still remembered feeling uncomfortable at those unnaturally bright eyes, which seemed to scrutinize him to the very depths of his soul. But time had passed since then; he was an adult now, and his behaviour had been flawlessly polite, if not particularly warm, towards his great-grandfather’s guests. Malik, on the other hand…. the sheer aversion he seemed to experience towards their presence went above and beyond any misgivings Isildur might have had, even as a child. “They are not Orcs, you know. Or dragons. Or evil in any way. According to my great-grandfather, in fact, some of their kind see us as evil, as they have been around since the First Age, and back then most Men joined the ranks of the Enemy.”

“Exactly.”

“Exactly what?” Isildur asked impatiently, fumbling with his clothes. Malik’s look had turned into a glare, as if he believed his friend to be acting clueless on purpose.

“Well, exactly that I hail from a noble line which can boast of some twenty or, I don’t know, maybe thirty generations of ancestors loyally fighting for Sauron!” he growled. “And if they look at me, they will know.”

Isildur was perplexed at first; then, as Malik’s words sunk in his brain, his befuddlement gave way to incredulity.

“This has to be most foolish thing I have ever heard! You are a Númenórean! Your mother’s ancestors were exiled by the other Númenóreans because of how faithful they were to their alliances with the Elves!”

Malik shook his head.

“You know, as well as I do, that I am not Malik son of Amal, but Malik son of Ashad. Unless Númenórean blood is powerful enough to obliterate everything else, but then I would not be my father’s son, and I know that I am.”

“Well, the blood of Elros is powerful enough to obliterate everything else. Until me, my kin had only inherited it from one side for centuries, and still they were all equally long-lived, and shared the same features. The line of the Kings, on the other hand, had the same blood on both sides, and look at them…”

His attempt to redirect the subject was not successful.

“My mother is not from the blood of Elros. What of regular Númenóreans? What happens when they have children with barbarians? Are they Númenóreans, or are they barbarians?”

“You were born in Númenor, how could you be a barbarian?” Isildur shrugged. “Look, you have not given this a single thought in all these years, so why would some Elves that you are not going to see more than once in your life cause you to suddenly start worrying about your ancestry? Your father never fought for Sauron, and you have always been proud of him, not wondering if your mother’s blood could… obliterate his, or anything!”

Malik’s eyes narrowed; for a moment, his admittedly not very Númenórean features looked as if they were carved in stone.

“I don’t know. I suppose this is how an immortal being makes you feel”, he spat. “I would never have thought of my ancestors if it was not for them. They died long ago, far away from here, and I never met them, but they could have.”

This made sense in a mad kind of way, Isildur thought, though he had never considered it before. Perhaps because his line was one of the few that had no reason to feel ashamed before a bunch of Elves – at least as far as old chronicles and genealogies could tell, though there could have been omissions, perhaps even lies which only an immortal would be able to recognize as such. But he refused to keep labouring down this path of paranoid musings.

“These Elves are from the North. They lived half a world away from your ancestors, and I’m sure they never met them. As far as they can tell, you are Númenórean. And I can prove it, too.” Taking advantage from Malik’s distraction, he walked behind him, and pushed him into the Sea. His friend fell face-flat on the water with a loud splash, disappearing under the waves for a moment, only to emerge a moment later, spitting and cursing. Isildur smiled.

“See? You can swim. A barbarian from Harad would have drowned!”

“That was not a nice thing to do.” With all the ruckus, he had not heard Ilmarë descend the stairs, so he was slightly startled at the sound of her voice. She stopped next to him, watching in wide-eyed amusement as Malik spouted a rather colourful string of insults which no lady would be meant to hear. Suppressing a smirk, he waited for the inevitable moment when his friend realized that his sister was there.

He was not disappointed.

“Ilmarë!” Malik went red to the very roots of his hair, and for an instant he seemed to be pondering whether to keep struggling or just drown himself. She sent a reproachful look in Isildur’s direction, and knelt to offer him a helping hand.

“There you go!” she cried, heaving him up. “Oh, dear, your clothes are all wet! You should take them off before you catch a cold. If you wait here for a moment, I will bring you…”

“I am fine, thank you!” Malik shook his head, horrified at the prospect of been seen naked by her. Isildur knew his sister well enough as to know that this was precisely what she had intended, and to detect the tiniest of flickers of disappointment when her plan failed. “The sun is still high in the sky, I will be dry in no time. Thank you”, he repeated, perhaps forgetting that he had already said so.

“As you wish”, she said, loftily. “And by the way, Isildur, I came to tell you that a letter just arrived from Armenelos, and Father and Grandfather are both leaving today.”

“Oh.” It had to be important news, for both of them to abandon their guests, not to mention the visiting Lord Númendil, at such short notice. A great upheaval, perhaps even a war. All of a sudden, Isildur was very interested.

“You can both go, then, while I stay here, drying the clothes that someone got wet.” Malik affected a long-suffering tone, but both knew that he was only too glad for the excuse. He was quite stubborn; once that an idea got into his head, it was almost impossible to dislodge it from there, and one discussion was far from enough to convince him that those Elves were not judging him. One day, perhaps.

“See you later, then”, Isildur said, following his sister up the winding stairs towards the garden of his family’s house. 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Are the spies certain of this information?” Hiram rose from his chair, but did not pace around the room as his adoptive father had used to do. Instead, he frowned at an invisible spot, as fiercely as if the poor man who had made that report had been standing there. “This is very serious, and we should not act until we are absolutely sure…”

“On the contrary, we should act, and immediately,” Amandil retorted. “There are many Númenórean lives at stake.”

He could not believe that anyone would counsel more inaction, to be added to all the other inactions they had already been guilty of in the past. For years now, the King’s greatest obsession had been to prevent a new war, either for the sake of Númenor, as Amandil thought in his more charitable moments, or for the sake of his daughter’s succession, as he suspected in his less charitable ones. When rumours and reports reached Armenelos, of a new alliance brewing between King Xaris the Fourth and Mordor, he had been foolish enough -yes, foolish, Amandil had to say it, for there was no other word to call it- to turn a deaf ear to them, and accuse the Prince of the South of agitation. This Xaris was not at all like his grandfather, who had joined hands with Mordor and the Gadirites to threaten the Sceptre decades ago. He was a puppet, like his father had been, and it was his mother who ruled Arne in truth; they could be sure of her loyalty, and he would ultimately do nothing she did not agree with. That the brat would seek Sauron’s help to be rid of her and rule Arne on his own had apparently not factored in those calculations, much less that Sauron would use the opening to take Arne for himself. Thanks to the spies, they had just learned that his minions were on the move to control the country before he launched his next, predictable attack on one of the greatest Númenórean cities: the neighbouring Pelargir, which had been enjoying the peak of its prosperity. Amandil had overseen the construction of the city’s walls himself, and he knew that they were adequate for defensive purposes, if they were well manned -but it was not an island, as Gadir had been, and if Sauron joined the strength of Arne to his own, they could not hope to hold him indefinitely.

“What do you propose that we do then, Lord Amandil?” Lord Shemer of Hyarnustar was growing older and frailer by the day; in the Council, he usually refrained from intervening because he had lost his ability to raise his voice, and even in the privacy of the King’s chambers it had become harder than ever to hear him. As Amandil was on the receiving end of his expectant gaze, however, there could be no mistake as to the nature of his query. He wondered when he had become the person to ask for counsel if the King failed them.

“Send the largest army we can muster at short notice, and close on Arne fast”, he replied. “Before the rest of the tribes of the Bay decide that they cannot be expected to die for our former alliances.”

“And who would lead that army?” Prince Vorondil asked, his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

Amandil sighed. Pharazôn would be the obvious choice, though one which could cost the King his prized succession, for not even he would expect his childhood friend to refrain from actively seeking to strengthen his position, if presented with such a good opportunity. On the other hand, they could not allow Palace intrigues, even such intrigues as involved the highest instances of power in the Númenórean empire, to cloud their assessment of what was at stake. But he knew very well that, if he were the one to speak this aloud, they might trust him on everything else, but they would refuse to trust him on this.

“That is for the King to decide”, he said, simply.

Tar Palantir sat among them, but his gaze was absent, as if he was lost in his own thoughts. Though Amandil had indirectly been addressing him, he did not acknowledge it, and a long silence ensued, pregnant with unsaid worries and grievances.

Prince Vorondil was the first to break it.

“I should be the one to go.”

“My son…” Shemer’s voice croaked in concern. Finally seeming to break away from his mysterious elucubrations, the King frowned.

“No.”

“I am the Princess of the West’s husband! If I cannot defend Númenor, then who will?”

“We know very well who will”, Hiram chimed in, “but we cannot allow that. We cannot make the same mistake again. This victory must be a true, Faithful victory.”

And what makes you so sure that it will be a victory? Amandil mused, though he did not say it. The King seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

“This victory must be a victory, or the mistake will be the most grievous we will have ever committed”, he said. Vorondil went very red; for a moment, Amandil thought he would choke on his rage.

“You still do not trust me. None of you trusts me.”

“This has nothing to do with trust”, the King said, but of course it did.

Slowly, but no less inevitably, Amandil reached a decision. There was nothing in this world which appealed less to him than to utter the words he was expected to say next; and yet, there seemed to be no other choice left.

“I cannot boast of as many victories as the Prince of the South, but I also know the mainland. Whatever expertise I may claim to have in the matter at hand, I will be glad to put it at your disposition, my lord King.”

“Thank you, Lord Amandil.” To his surprise, however, the words that should have followed this did not come. “We will consider all the options.”

Could it be that Tar Palantir had… foreseen something?

“The Council session has been scheduled for tomorrow,” Hiram muttered, worriedly. “There is not much time left. I think Lord Amandil’s brave words are worth taking into consideration, my lord King: he has been in Arne before, and if given enough resources, he could lead a successful campaign.”

“I agree”, Shemer nodded.

With a screeching noise that made Amandil’s hair stand on end, Vorondil rose from his ivory chair, let it fall to the floor, and stormed away from the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He had refused to discuss the meeting with her, his efforts to hide his rage and hurt as desperately futile as those of a child who hid his face under a cushion and believed that no one could see him. She had humoured him for longer than even a mother would her son, for so many years that her heart ached to remember, but no more.

“I am ashamed to be your wife”, she told him, pouring into her voice all the contempt that she had ever bred in her heart for this little man.

He stared at her, thunderstruck, as if he did not know. But then- perhaps he didn’t. It had been too long since the last time she had bothered to read his insignificant thoughts. They made her ill.

“They do not respect you. If there is trouble in the mainland, no one trusts you to take care of it, though you should be the one to take command. My father would send the meanest courtier before he even considered sending you.”

“You talk of things you know nothing about.” He was trying the dignified approach first. “Lord Amandil is not the meanest courtier, he is the King’s kinsman and ours, and a man of great military expertise. He is also well known in Pelargir, so he should be the obvious choice.”

“The obvious choice?” Zimraphel laughed. “The second choice, you mean, because you know as well as I do who the obvious choice is. You know who is the man that everyone in Númenor would rather send to the Bay.” Suddenly, her laughter froze, and her eyes grew as cold as the winter moon. “The man who wants to steal my Sceptre. Perhaps I should surrender it to him of my own free will, because with you as a husband, who will protect me after my father dies?”

“Míriel!” Vorondil shouted, scandalized. Her voice rose above his.

“I am alone! Defenceless! Princess of the West in nothing but in name, as I will be Queen in nothing but in name! I trusted you to be my protector, the man who would lead my armies to victory, but you are just a coward who says strong words in the Council chamber and hides in my rooms at any sign of real danger!”

Now, this was already too much for Vorondil. As he stood up to face her, she watched his red face, his stuttering lips, and even the slight trembling of his hands as rage overtook him. Fascinated, she tried to wonder if he would attack her, but it was a vain pursuit, for in none of the scenarios she envisioned he had ever mustered the courage.

“Why don’t you say those things to your father? He is the one who does not see fit to trust me with this issue, or any other, for the matter! I am your husband, the scion of a noble house, and a councilman of many years, and yet he still treats me as if I was but an errant child! All those years ago, when Mordor attacked, I volunteered to go, just as I did now, and he chose to send that insolent traitor! If he had put his trust in me back then, how much trouble could have been avoided?”

And how much boredom and disgust, she thought, with an almost poignant feeling of regret. But then, it could never have worked that way.

“Do you know what I think? This is why the King does not trust you! You volunteer on a mission, he refuses you, and what do you do? You leave the chamber and sulk! If I were him, I would believe that you did it just because it was expected of you, and that you never intended to follow through on your words.”

“What do you expect me to do, then? Should I point a sword at his throat and force him?”

She shook her head, appalled.

“I should be the man, not you! Tomorrow there is a Council session, isn’t it? Well, what better opportunity for you to have your offer be heard by all the councilmen in the realm and their people? Let him see that you are not afraid of committing yourself to the task in front of witnesses who will hold you to your word, as the prince of Númenor that you are! Perhaps then you might make him proud for once, and I would no longer be ashamed of being the wife of such a coward!”

Zimraphel almost spat her last words. She wondered if he was seeing the beauty of her countenance grow distorted, like the surface of a pond when a stone was cast into it. Many people had experienced her displeasure, but very few had seen her anger, and all of them had fled from it -all except for him, that time when he had come to her after defeating the creature of darkness.

She could not allow Vorondil to flee her. And so, she started crying.

“Oh, Vorondil, I am so afraid!” she sobbed. “I c-can no longer feel safe here! My f-father is old, and I am alone, while the Prince of the South is g-growing stronger and stronger, and everybody loves him, even in this very Palace! What will become of me?”

Vorondil rushed to hold her as she dissolved in tears, and she leaned into his embrace, reeling from the virulence of the visions erupting in her mind as he built his resolve. For an instant, while the horror of those images sank in, she was tempted to surrender to the lukewarm emotions of the people who surrounded her every day: fondness, pity, compassion. But she could not do that. Those were but the weaknesses of lesser mortals, of those who spent their lives fretting, worrying and wondering what Fate had in store for them. To her, a greater gift had been given, and she had to make use of it.

She would not allow herself to fail.

“I will protect you” he whispered in her ear, comfortingly. “I will protect you, my love. I will never let anyone threaten you, even if I have to risk the King’s displeasure or my very life for it. I swear this to you.”

“I believe you”. She wiped her cheek, watching the moist gleam in the palm of her hand with a strange fascination. Mourning, daughter of Morwen, she thought, remembering the absurd play they had been rehearsing all those years ago.

At least he deserved those tears, she thought. Many would be shed for him in days to come, but he would not see them, or know of them. Those were his and only his, because she may not love him, but he had loved her, and done it for the sake of this love. He should be allowed to take his memories of them where she would not follow.

“Forgive me” she muttered. “Forgive me. It is not your fault. I love you. I love you.”

He held to her tighter, as if suddenly afraid that she would vanish from his arms like a ghost.

“I love you, too”, he said.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Council session started gravely enough, with the King declaring everything that had been in the spy’s report, without omitting a single word. Of course, Pharazôn did not miss the chance to express his outrage at the fact that it had taken Tar Palantir so long to heed the warnings, and he did such a good job of keeping the satisfaction away from his voice that his anger even seemed sincere. The King allowed him to speak for a while, then cut him, reminding him that every minute they wasted without looking for a solution increased the risk to Pelargir by a thousandfold. Once they reached the particulars, it turned out that there was little to disagree about: everybody advocated for war, for sending the largest force they could muster, and for doing so at the shortest possible notice. When it came to the point of naming possible leaders for the expedition, however, Amandil detected the shift in everybody’s mood, and prepared himself for the inevitable.

“Why, of course the Prince of the South should be the one to go! Who else?” the Magistrate of Umbar spoke. The Governor of Sor and the courtiers nodded vehemently, to signify their approval, and Pharazôn smiled at them.

“I thank you, my friends, for your confidence, but I must remind you that the King does not wish me to concern myself with the affairs of the mainland any longer. If you wish, I can recommend men of courage and experience who are not known to this Council, but who have proved themselves to me.”

Amandil took a deep breath, and stood up. He had been trying, unsuccessfully, to catch Elendil’s glance while Pharazôn spoke, but his son was already aware of what he was about to do.

Before he even managed to open his mouth, however, someone else spoke first.

“Thank you, but there is no need for you to bother, my lord Pharazôn. I will go myself. This situation is grave enough as to require my presence.”

Amandil’s eyes widened. He could not believe what he was seeing, or what he had just heard – and he was not the only one. Next to him, Lord Hiram choked on his own saliva, and Lord Shemer grabbed his armrest as if he was about to faint. As for the King, his reaction was the strongest of all: he stood up from his throne to face Vorondil, his face turning very pale.

“Peace, Vorondil. There is no need to risk the life of my own son-in-law for what remains a problem in our mainland border.”

“For once I agree, my lord King.” Pharazôn stared lengthly at Vorondil; he seemed to be trying to prevent himself from laughing. “The Prince Vorondil would do better to stay safe in the Island, and leave the mainland to the soldiers.”

“And the Prince Pharazôn would do better to shut his insolent mouth and stop behaving as if he is the divinely appointed saviour of Númenor and the colonies.” Vorondil frowned. “You merely played a part in the defence of Númenor, as many have done before, and as many others will do after you! The mainland is not your private hunting ground, and neither do the armies of Númenor belong to you, as this Council already agreed once in the past.”

Amandil saw an opening to intervene.

“This is not a contest for personal glory, it is war! And in war, the army should be led by experienced men who know the lay of the land. I will offer my services for this task, if the King sees fit to consider it.”

But Vorondil was not going to let anyone wrongfoot him this time.

“I know what war is, Lord Amandil. And, be assured of it, I intend to take it as seriously as it deserves. Sauron is staking a claim on Númenórean territory, and as such, he is threatening my beloved wife’s inheritance. It should fall to me to oppose his designs, and show him and the rest of our enemies that Númenor stands strong, with our present King and with our future Queen as well!”

Pharazôn shook his head, muttering something, but Amandil could not hear it from the opposite side of the room. Next to him, Lord Hiram was telling Lord Shemer to calm down, in an almost crooning voice that sounded very strange coming from the haughty man’s lips.

The King’s pallor, however, concerned the Lord of Andúnië more than anything else. It was as if life was bleeding away from him in this very place, at this very moment, while nobody else in the Council Chamber seemed to notice.

“Vorondil, I have always cared for you as if you were the son I never had” he spoke at last. “That is why I wished to spare you this predicament, but I see that your resolve is strong. You may go to the mainland, but you will take the best men of Númenor with you, and the most knowledgeable advisors. And if you care for the realm and for the Princess of the West as much as you claim, you will be prudent and refrain from needlessly putting your life in danger.”

“I will not disappoint you, my lord King”, the Prince replied. For a moment he stood so tall and proud, surrounded by his peers, that Amandil could almost forget how much of a fool he had always been, and see him as the hero that he was determined to pretend he was.

The illusion, however, was as brief as the semblance of composure in the King’s speech. When Tar Palantir stood up from his throne, and called the meeting to an end, his expression briefly met Amandil’s, and the lord of Andúnië had to lean against the back of his seat even as he stood up, reeling from the intensity of the despair he had seen there.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“He would never have sent me, and you know it. Age has made him even more suspicious than he used to be. He reminds me more and more of Ar Gimilzôr at every passing day. It is funny, isn’t it? Everybody always claimed that it was my father who resembled him the most, but it is my uncle who was truly born and bred in his likeness.”

Amandil frowned at Pharazôn’s attempt to change the subject of the conversation. Since his friend had returned to the Island years ago, he found that he had been spending more and more time frowning during their encounters.

“And yet you did not even offer to go. Were you afraid of losing face before the Council? It did not seem to bother Vorondil, and he did get what he wanted.”

“Vorondil was right, as much as I hate to admit it. It was his place to go, as he is the one whose wife is going to inherit the Sceptre against the wishes of most Númenoreans. He needs to convince them that at least he will be there to protect them and their interests in the mainland.”

“It occurs to me that it would be very convenient for you if he should die there.”

To his slight surprise, Pharazôn did not try to feign denial. He merely shrugged.

“It would be the best outcome, yes, but I am sure he will be too well protected for that to happen. It is the soldiers who will probably pay the price for his folly, as they often do.”

The flicker of a wistful look that appeared in the Prince of the South’s eyes was something that Amandil could finally mirror without reserve. He held on to it for as long as he could, wondering why it was so difficult to go back to the times when they agreed about everything. Or almost everything, he corrected himself after a moment.

Or almost nothing, his thought continued relentlessly, as his conscious mind rebelled against the idea of looking at their past friendship through the distorted mirror of idealization. The truth was that they had begun their acquaintance because Amandil had not been able to resist the temptation to beat Pharazôn up without repercussions, and this anger has remained a constant, steady undercurrent that balanced the affection they felt for each other. It had been there before they both sat in opposite sides of the Council chamber, and it would always be there, as much as the affection itself. For some time, it was true, the first had been coming easier to him than the second, but none of them had ever been strong enough as to negate the other. And that is how it would remain, in spite of all.

“Are you done interrogating me for today, then?” Pharazôn asked, as if he had perceived his moment of weakness. “Can we remain friends until the next Council session?”

Amandil was not amused.

“We will remain friends for as long as you wish to be. If my questions bother you so, you are welcome to leave at any time.”

“Why would I wish to leave? Your cheerful disposition warms my heart.”

The lord of Andúnië sighed. He was doing it again.

“I am sorry. To be honest, this whole situation makes me nervous. Prince Vorondil should not have been allowed to go to the mainland. And now, to make things even worse, my grandson wants to go with him, and I…”

“What?” Pharazôn interrupted him. “Isildur, you mean?”

“Who else?” Amandil shook his head. “As you know, he is the adventurous sort, and this Island is too small for him. And he is of age, so he feels he should be allowed to go wherever he wishes, but I will be damned if I leave him in Prince Vorondil’s charge.”

“Do not even think of it.” Pharazôn hissed. The news seemed to have shaken him so much that for a moment, the old suspicion reared its ugly head again, and Amandil wondered if there was something that his friend was not telling him. Almost at once, however, he berated himself for harbouring such thoughts, as it should be obvious enough from their previous conversation that both considered Prince Vorondil’s command to be a potential recipe for disaster. “That man is an idiot and a fool, and you do not give your most precious treasures to a fool to keep.”

“You do not need to convince me.” Amandil replied. “You only need to convince him.”

“Let me talk to him, then. I could find a good place for him someplace else, with people that I do trust.”

“Do you know that this has been one of my greatest fears in the last years? That you would take my son or my grandson with you to the mainland?”

Pharazôn stared at him, then briefly abandoned his grave demeanour in order to laugh mirthlessly.

“Fine. Let him go with Vorondil, then.” He grew serious again. “Neither your son nor your grandson will stay in this Island forever, whether you wish it or not. The only choice you will be allowed in the end will be whether to avail yourself of my help or do without it. Perhaps you do not trust me as much as you did when you left your yet unborn child under my care, but believe me, I am still a better option than a man who wants to defy Sauron in order to impress his wife.”

“Perhaps your perception of his motives could be slightly coloured by your rivalry?” When he saw that Pharazôn was not going to even attempt a retort, Amandil’s jaw clenched. “Very well, you win. Speak with Isildur, if you wish. As long as you can dissuade him from doing this, I do not care what price I have to pay afterwards.”

“You make it sound as if I had been seeking to take advantage of your situation.”

No, you do not seek to take advantage from any of this. It just happens. If Vorondil is defeated, you will profit. If the King’s authority is weakened, you will profit.  If Isildur wants to go to the mainland, you will profit. The blessed luck of the Golden Prince, isn’t it? Even as he was thinking this, however, Amandil was already appalled at the direction of his own musings.

It is this hostility, he admitted to himself at last. This cursed hostility, in the Palace, in the Council Chamber. It was never there before, not in this way, at least. And unless he learned to fight it, it would end by eroding and destroying everything, maybe not today, or even tomorrow, but one day.

“You are right. I am behaving like a total bastard, and I should offer you my apologies and then thank you. There, I said it”, he said, his lips curving in a tentative smile. After all this time, it took an amount of effort. “Now, do not let it go to your head, it is swollen enough as it is.”

If Pharazôn was surprised, he hid it well.

“Apologies are nice, but a drink would be better. Especially now that you seem to have recovered your ability to smile. Maybe you could end laughing in an hour or two, if you try hard enough.”

“If you get me drunk enough, you mean” Amandil snorted, struggling to a sitting position so he could go fetch the jar in the table of his study. As he peered inside, he saw that it was half-empty.

Or half-full, he thought, silently promising to himself that he would hold on to whatever he had.

The Siege of Pelargir I

Read The Siege of Pelargir I

Help!

She could not distinguish his surroundings, for they were unfocused, distorted, like the surface of a pond in a windy day. Only his eyes were clear, so clear that he seemed to be standing before her, pleading, about to grab her robe with a skeletal hand in a last and desperate attempt to escape the shadows. Though she knew it was nothing but an illusion, she flinched away, terrified by its vividness.

Help! Please, save me!

She could not save him. There was a time when she could still have done so, but she had chosen to deliver him into the waiting grasp of another power, an ancient one, who was always hungry for Númenórean lives. She had known the price, at least as well as her father and his Council knew the price of their decisions whenever they played with the kings, chieftains and generals of the mainland as if they were pieces on a board game, to be shifted around and discarded at will. This was as much of an affair of State as theirs were, and yet she knew that they would all revile her as a black-hearted monster for it, if they ever learned about the part she had played. They would claim it as a reason why she could not be their Queen, but in truth, they had never wanted her to be Queen at all. Even those who fought for her rights were only fighting for the right to rule Númenor through her.

That was why she had to do it. There was only one person in the world who was ready to see her power for what it was and embrace it, instead of recoiling from it, and it was the same man who had run towards the King of Shadows, sword in hand, while the others fled. Only he was unafraid of darkness, and therefore worthy of ruling by her side. There could be no obstacles between the Sceptre and him.

Please! I do not want to die!

The eyes were still fixed on hers, claiming familiarity, kinship, bonds of duty and love, but she rejected them all, white-hot anger burning in her chest. She had not chosen those bonds, so they were null and void to her. The only decision she had been allowed to make was who would be the doomed man, and she had chosen the most worthless candidate. Her choice had given him a life of power and glory beyond his wildest dreams, next to the fairest woman in the world, but now it was time to leave it behind and die, as everyone must - even her, whose frail mortal body hid the soul of an immortal. It was Eru who had decreed that all men must die, and it was Him he should blame, not her. He should be grateful to her, for now he would never grow old, sick or ugly. A brief image in her head sufficed to make her cringe: he would have been a dreadful, pathetic old man, forever bitter and suspicious of unseen enemies, and despised by all. Wasn’t this a much better fate, to be remembered as a foolish yet brave warrior who died for Númenor?

Stop whining, she whispered, arms crossed against her chest as if to ward herself off from a ghost’s unwelcome touch. This is your last chance to be a hero, and you should not waste it.

Vorondil -no, Kamal, she thought, as this had been his true name since he was born, the scion of a noble house who walked handsome and proud among the ladies of the Court until he attracted the attention of the one he should never have approached- merely stared, his eyes widening in panic. Then, she realized that it not her he was looking at, but something else, veiled by such a thick mantle of shadows that even she could not pierce it. He struggled furiously, trying to escape, but his frantic efforts were like those of a hare trying to extract its leg after the trap had snapped its jaws close.

I am sorry, Kamal, she said, forcing herself to keep her gaze focused on his even as his terror and pain fell like bloodstains over the ivory skin of her face. I am sorry. But you have to die now.

The image blurred.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You have been summoned here to face an unprecedented crisis which threatens Númenor even as we speak.” Tar Palantir appeared serious, but it was not a look of serious concern, serious triumph, or serious anger, such as others Amandil had seen in his countenance on previous occasions. It was as if his features had been closed off and warded, hiding the faintest spark of feeling from even the most perceptive or familiar eyes. If months ago, in that stormy Council session when the war was first discussed and Prince Vorondil was sent, the strength of the King’s emotions had been painfully conspicuous to Amandil’s eyes, now it was the total opposite. He seemed to have no emotions at all, as if he was one of the great statues in the harbour of Sor, or one of the embalmed corpses buried under the Meneltarma, the morbid thought insinuated itself into his mind.

With a shiver, the lord of Andúnië let his eyes rest for a moment on one of the chairs closest to his, which lay empty. Lord Shemer had fallen violently ill as soon as he heard the news about his son; now, if rumours were true, he lay in bed, unable to either speak or move, his soul struggling somewhere between life and death. But the King was not a frail old man like Lord Shemer; in him, lack of emotion should be read as an affirmation of purpose. Even now, even at this moment, his spirit remained stronger than his body could ever be. Or so he had to believe.

“… have heard that the Prince Vorondil was made a prisoner after the defeat”, the High Chamberlain was saying, the first to raise his voice in this grim gathering. “If there is a possibility that he is still alive, I propose that we attempt to negotiate…”

“There is nothing to negotiate.” Lord Hiram was almost as white as a corpse; in spite of which his voice remained firm as he spoke. “He is dead.”

“My apologies, my lord, but I thought that we were not in possession of any definitive information on this as of yet.”

“The survivors tried to parley after their retreat to Pelargir, but all their appointed messengers were killed. According to the last report that could leave the city by boat before the siege was laid, written by the head of the city council himself, the Orc army was using their severed heads as banners, including, alas, that of Prince Vorondil himself.” Who had been so convinced that riding at the head of his army would be so good to the morale of the soldiers that he had been willing to disregard the counsel of his advisors over it, the damn fool.

Amandil had been discussing this report so feverishly with Hiram and the King in the last hours, that he felt as if he knew it by heart. This was why he did not share in the collective gasps and gestures of horror evoked by the governor of Sor’s words, or even appreciate the exceptionality of the breach of decorum which had just taken place, with such grisly facts being laid so barely before the highest advisory body of the realm.

“So.” Hannon, Palace Priest and Hiram’s brother-in-law, stared at his own hands as if he could find the answer to their troubles written there. “Our forces were defeated by Sauron’s commander and his Arnian minions, Prince Vorondil is… dead, and the army of Mordor has occupied Arne and moved on Pelargir. How… long do you think that the city will be able to remain standing?”

Amandil stood up.

“I was there as the walls were being built, and I can assure you, my lords, that Pelargir is a formidable stronghold, not only because of the work of Men but also for its natural location. Aside from the City Guard and the local garrison, many veterans have settled there over the years, and the remnants of Prince Vorondil’s army have joined them now. Sauron’s troops have the numbers and no doubt the infrastructure to sustain a siege, so the easiest approach for them would be to merely wait until Pelargir runs out of supplies. This scenario would give us time.”

“On the other hand, Lord Amandil, Sauron already knows that Númenor is going to retaliate, and it would be foolish to believe that he has not factored it in his plans”, Pharazôn replied. “If the general chosen to lead this expedition persists in Vorondil’s mistakes and underestimates his enemy, we could be facing a second disaster whose repercussions could affect the Island permanently.”

“How dare you speak in those terms of Prince Vorondil, while his corpse is still warm! Have you already forgotten that he fought and gave his life for Númenor?” Hiram hissed. His hands were clenched, and in spite of the composure he was affecting, Amandil knew that he was a breath away from an explosion of temper. He also knew that Pharazôn could see this as much as he did, and that, with the ruthlessness of a warrior on the battlefield, he would use this knowledge to his own advantage. With a sharp intake of breath, he willed the Prince of the South to focus on him instead.

“I was commenting on Pelargir’s defensive capabilities, my lord prince, as there would be no chance for us to send an expedition if those should fail. How the leader of this expedition should face his enemy is something that will be left to his own choice, and I pray to Eru that his approach is right.”

Pharazôn snorted.

“It is odd that you would consider Eru a war god, like the barbarians of Harad. The more I try to understand the beliefs of the Faithful, the more I am lost in subtlety.” Then, his eyes hardened. “I will not challenge your appreciation of Pelargir’s defences, my lord, but even if they should withstand a hundred attacks from Mordor, you know as well as I do that it is only a matter of time until the city falls, unless we begin our preparations immediately. Now, as you honourable members of this Council are aware of, the King has forbidden me from meddling with the affairs of mainland…”

The end of the sentence was obscured by a formidable outcry, rising not only from the councilmen’s seats, but also from those of their attending people. Pharazôn tried to silence them, pretending to disapprove, but Amandil knew that he was secretly triumphant.

“Silence!” the herald shouted. The King rose from his throne.

“We are here to discuss the current situation, and how we will respond to it. The general who will lead this expedition will be chosen after careful consideration…”

“The Prince of the South is the only candidate!”

“Only he has defeated the forces of Mordor before!”

“He is our most successful general! We must send the Prince of the South!”

“Send the Prince of the South!”

It was not the first outcry to take place in the Council chamber; especially during times of crisis and war, tensions used to arise even among the highest lords of the realm. But to interrupt the King in the middle of a sentence -this, Amandil thought worriedly, might have been the first time that such a serious breach of protocol happened.

“Stop, my lords! Stop!” Pharazôn threw his hands in the air, as if embarrassed at finding himself in the middle of this situation. “Only the King may decide who leaves Númenor on such a mission.”

“You hypocrite! This is what you have wanted all along! Even now, your heart is rejoicing at the death of my brother and the defeat of our men, because you believe that it will give you power, that Númenor will have no choice but to turn to you for aid!” Hiram looked almost deranged, his tone rising until it was only a note away from a scream. “But I will not let you! I will go myself, even if… even it should be the last thing I do, I would gladly give my life away to foil the evil plans conceived by your boundless ambition! I will not let you have your way!”

It was over. As he sat there, with the others, watching as the man who had once been the serious and austere lord of Sorontil dissolved into a pitiful mess of frayed nerves, yelling and gesticulating, Amandil was aware that they had lost. If the King had been considering the idea of sending Lord Hiram to avenge his brother by birth, hoping that this gesture would be enough to gain the support of the people, it had become clear in the eyes of all that he could not be entrusted with such a task. He could not even find it in himself to blame the man, he thought -losing his brother and his father almost at the same time would have been too much for any man to bear.

After the commotion, the silence that ensued was deafening by contrast.

“I… I apologize”. The voice was so faint that Amandil had to wonder if it carried to the opposite side of the large chamber. His hands were grabbing those of his son for support, but they were still trembling. “Such a breach of composure… it was intolerable.”

“Intolerable, perhaps, but also understandable, in light of recent events”, the King said. If he intended his words to be reassuring, however, his intention did not manage to cross the Grinding Ice of his tone, which became even more evident as his gaze shifted towards Pharazôn. “I am aware of what I said in the past, and of the reasons why I said it. As of now, however, the dangers which threaten the kingdom of Númenor outstrip all other considerations, forcing me to rectify before this Council. You will go to the mainland to head the troops of Umbar once more, and you will also receive whatever help the lords of this Island can give you.”

For a strange moment, Amandil stared at Pharazôn, wondering if he would refuse the King before the Council. But the Prince of the South merely nodded, a look of deep satisfaction in his eyes as he acknowledged the congratulations, and he was mystified as to why he had thought that his friend would do any such thing. This was what Pharazôn had wanted all along: to be brought back from his ‘retirement’ because the King was forced to acknowledge that he was the only one who could save Númenor. He was as likely to turn away from this chance as a hungry wolf was likely to leave his prey lying on the ground, untouched.

Still, he thought, that steely look of contempt, the prelude to rejection, had been there, and he had seen it. It was as if, for a moment, the Pharazôn he was used to see in the last years had disappeared, and the Pharazôn that he remembered from a long time ago had stood in his place by sheer mistake; the young man who had never compromised on anything, or checked his impulses, no matter the harm they could bring to his position. That young man despised the King for his cowardice, and wished to see him deal with his own mess.

That young man would never have become such a threat to Tar Palantir, Amandil thought wistfully. Though perhaps he would not be standing here now, either, and if he was not, the Island would suffer for it.

This Pharazôn, whatever else he was, was the only man in Númenor who could face Sauron. And since Sauron seemed determined to face them, they needed him. It was that simple.

“We will reconvene in private to discuss the expedition. Praised be Eru the Almighty”, the King dismissed the rest of them.

The Prince of the South bowed low.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You need not worry.” Amalket leaned forwards to pick a grape with her fingers, and as she did so, she bit back a wince that would not have escaped her son’s perceptive eyes if not for the current turmoil brewing within his mind. Armenelos was free from the humidity that made her joints ache in Andúnië, which is why she had taken to staying there for longer and longer periods of time, but lately she was even having troubles under the familiar dry air of the plain. She blamed it on the weather; surely it had never been this cold in Númenor at this time of the year as it had been in the last decade.

The gods are angry with the King, people said. Now, they have even sent us a terrible foe who will wreak havoc and devastation in punishment for our sins.

“Your father is an old friend of the Prince of the South. If he asks him to keep Isildur out of danger, he will do it for him.”

“Mother, I have no doubt that he would try, but when Isildur sailed to Umbar, we all knew the risks that this would entail. Even if he did not take part in Prince Vorondil’s war, there would be others, whether we wanted it or not.” He shook his head with a sigh. “He is an adult, and we cannot shame him in front of the whole army by telling him to stay in Umbar while everyone else goes North. Besides, you know as well as I do that wherever Malik goes, he will follow, even if he had to hide inside a supply wagon. And Malik will definitely be riding to battle.”

“You seem so reasonable about this, that nobody would ever suspect that you were unable to sleep last night.”

“That is not…” Halideyid glared at her. “How do you even know about that?”

Instead of replying, she fixed him with the long-suffering, slightly exasperated glance that she had been perfecting for the last hundred years. At this, he had no choice but to surrender.

“It is not Isildur who is worrying me, Mother. Believe it or not, I think he can take care of himself.”

“Then what?”

He shrugged.

“Eluzîni. Father. You.”

Amalket sipped on her tea carefully. It was so hot that it brought tears to her eyes, but it also helped a little.

“And why are you worried about all of us? We are not going to face the Enemy in war, are we?”

“No. You are not.” He seemed to be steeling himself for something, which alarmed her. “But I am.”

His voice was quiet, as usual, but its effect was as if the ceiling had collapsed over her head. Quickly, she grabbed the cup before it slid from her fingers, and took a sharp breath as a scalding drop fell on the back of her hand.

“So, you think that Isildur can take care of himself, and yet you are sailing all the way to Middle-Earth to join him.” It did not seem like her own voice talking, even to her ears, and yet she desperately felt as if she had to say something, no matter what it was. “That does not make sense, Halideyid.”

He frowned, the way he used to when he wanted her to understand something very badly.

“It should have been me, Mother.”

Amalket shook her head.

“No. No. You are where you are meant to be.”

“Listen to me. I should have married the Princess of the West…”

“Your father should have married the Princess of the West!”

“… and then it would have been me, not Prince Vorondil, facing Sauron’s armies in the Bay of Belfalas. That is what the King foresaw, that is how he meant things to happen.”

“If the King foresaw it, then the King was wrong, because it did not come to pass!” she hissed, perhaps a little more vehemently than she had intended. “And it was not your fault that it did not. It was the Princess of the West who chose Vorondil as her husband, and if someone brought this disaster upon Númenor, it was her!”

But Halideyid still had that frown upon his face.

“I do not have the power of foresight, Mother, you know that. And yet, I feel that something is wrong. I feel it, with such an intensity that I am almost tempted to believe that the inheritance which has always eluded me has finally started to course through my veins. This was not supposed to happen, and I am not meant to be here.”

The power of foresight? More like a heritage of madness, Amalket thought, in growing anger and concern. Her son had never been affected by those screaming nightmares, or the flights of fancy during which the descendants of Indilzar pretended to be able to apprehend the future, as if they were possessed by a god’s spirit. And a good riddance it had been.

“Then, what is supposed to happen? That you, the heir of Andúnië, go to risk your life in the mainland together with your son? Perhaps you have not heard of what has befallen your wife’s house in these last days? The heir of Lord Shemer has died, and Lord Shemer himself is breathing his last, leaving their domain headless, and their family hanging from a thread! Is this what you want to happen to your father’s house?”

“That has nothing to do with our situation here, unfortunate as it is. Father was the youngest lord of Andúnië in a thousand years, and he is in no danger at the moment. I have another son, and a daughter, who are not going anywhere. And I do not intend to die.”

“Prince Vorondil did not intent to die.”

“Prince Vorondil had no experience, and he committed many mistakes. The Prince of the South, however, is an experienced general and I trust him. If I can trust him with my son, you can trust him with yours. Please, Mother, listen to me.” Amalket had already opened her mouth to object again, but he left her no chance. “Since I was young, and Father first left for Umbar, this has been buried deep in my heart. Somehow, I knew that I, too, was meant to go to the mainland, though I did not know where this knowledge came from. But Father was gone, I had duties to see to and people to support, and I could not afford to pay heed to fanciful thoughts, so I ignored it. The Prince of the South, who was the Prince Pharazôn back then, was the first to see it, and he taunted me with it, though I pretended that I did not know what he was talking about. At some point, I was so taken by my responsibilities, by the trappings of the life I had accepted and the family I had built, that I could almost claim that this was true. When this war broke, however, and Vorondil volunteered, the feeling came back with a vengeance, and I was about to surrender to it when my own son got ahead of me. Eluzîni was upset, Father was worried, and I was left to deal with it. But now, I have finally made my mind.” His look was different from any other she had ever seen in his eyes, she realized. Usually, she gathered more from gazing at him, at his eyes and his expressions, than she did by listening to his words, but not this time. It was almost as if a stranger was sitting in front of her, and this feeling unsettled her. “Please, I ask you to accept it, and trust me.”

“But…” This was pathetic, why couldn’t she find any words to say? “But why? What are you trying to do? If you trust the Prince of the South so much, why not leave this to him?”

“There are many reasons” he replied, firmly, as if he was truly convinced of what he was saying. “First, there must be a prominent member from our faction in the mainland who can be perceived as defending the interests of the King and the Princess, and Father does not wish to do it, though he would go if the King ordered him. Second, the majority of the citizens of Pelargir are our people, and we have a duty towards them. Sending a few men might suffice for the other houses, but more will be expected from us. And third, I know that I cannot expect you to understand it or agree with me, but as I already said, I was meant to be there instead of Vorondil. I do not care for what the Princess of the West might or might not have chosen; in my own eyes, I have failed, and I will not allow myself to fail again.”

“Halideyid…” Amalket frowned in dismay. Would she have to rely on Amandil to dissuade him? Never before had he been able to claim success where she had failed, not when it came to their son. But, if he did fail, what then? And what if Eluzîni, too, failed? They had all been unable to convince Isildur, and though she had believed this stubbornness to be a particularity of her grandson’s character, she had to admit that father and son were not always so different as she would have liked to believe.

“Mother, it is only a campaign. I am not going to stay in the mainland for thirty years.” At least he was still concerned about her feelings. “Please, tell me that you understand this, at least.”

“I do not have thirty years” she muttered, a knot in her throat. “Please, tell me that you understand this.”

He sighed, taking her hand in his. Against his skin, hers looked older than ever to her eyes, ugly and wrinkled, even though those who surrounded her usually lied through their teeth and claimed that she remained as young and beautiful as ever.

He has always been by your side, a small, traitorous voice spoke inside her mind. Even when everybody else left you, your father, your mother, even your own husband, and now your grandson. You cannot hold him back for ever.

But then, ‘for ever’ did not hold the same meaning for them than it did for her, did it?

“I will be back soon, Mother. I swear it to you, I will.”

She shook her head, but could not speak.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“So.” The Prince of the South’s gaze was amiable, and still slightly mocking as he leaned back to fix him from head to toe. It seemed to be saying ‘I told you so’, without the need for words. “You finally decided to follow your calling. I must confess that I was not expecting you to resist it for so long. You are an extraordinarily dutiful person.”

“With apologies, my lord prince, but I am not abandoning my duties to follow you to the mainland”, he protested. “To fight in this war is the highest duty I can be entrusted with at this point of my life.”

“I see.” Pharazôn nodded, then filled a cup, which he offered to him. Elendil refused it politely. “Yes, someone from the house of Andúnië has to be there when the Faithful are delivered from the Dark Lord’s clutches. The Lord of Armenelos forbid that they should owe their lives to someone like me.”

“That is not true. You are the general, and the legate. If we should defeat the Dark Lord and rescue Pelargir, it will be your victory.”

Pharazôn laughed.

“Very well. I was exaggerating, and you are right to call me out on this. But whenever I exaggerate, it is because I wish to drive a point across. I learned that subterfuge in the mainland, long ago.”

“From the Haradrim?”

“From the Forest People of the Middle Havens, actually. The Haradrim do not fight with words.” He drank a long swallow from his own cup. “If you wish to have a good working relationship with me, you will have to learn to drink.”

“What point did you wish to drive across, my lord prince?” Elendil insisted, even though he knew the answer.

“The point that, as you well know, the King will try to rely on accounts of your warring prowess to undermine me as much as he can.”

After a moment of hesitation, Elendil finally took the cup. It exuded a powerful smell; apparently his father had not lied when he had spoken of the Prince’s penchant for drinking undiluted wine.

“Are you complimenting or accusing me?”

“Both”, Pharazôn replied bluntly. Then, to his surprise, he smiled. “I am happy to have you.”

Amandil had not lied, either, when he had said that many considered the Prince of the South to be a charming man, and that he had to be careful not to allow this to affect his discernment. But that was something that Elendil had known for a very long time.

“Does this prospect not concern you then, my lord?”

“Not much. You may be destined for greatness, but I am greater still.” It was impossible to tell whether he was joking or perfectly serious, until he broke the impasse himself with a shrug. “At least, in every meaning of the word but one.”

“Do I still have permission to be taller than you, now that you are my commanding officer?”

Pharazôn stared in surprise, then chuckled, as if he had not expected him to come up with something like that.

“Now, now, that is a very good question. Perhaps I should be concerned about you, after all.” He shrugged. “Very well, I will be perfectly serious for the length of one minute, so listen to me. Once we board that ship, and lose sight of the King and the Warrior of Sor, we will find ourselves in the middle of a difficult campaign, and neither you nor I will have the time to worry about what the King, the Council, the Court, or the people of Armenelos are saying about our respective actions. I will be pouring my heart and soul in my attempt to outmanoeuvre and defeat a dangerous enemy, knowing that any mistake could be my last, and cost us Pelargir and perhaps the entire Bay. And you will also have plenty to do, believe me. “He swallowed the last of his cup to the dregs, barely grimacing at the bitterness. “You may not think that this is even possible, but soon we will forget that Armenelos exists. And, once that we do, you will find that we can understand each other much better.”

Elendil pondered this. It sounded strangely appealing in this context, but also, somehow- treasonous. If they were to pretend that the court of Armenelos did not exist, didn’t this extend to ignoring orders as well? He remembered the last Arnian war, when the Prince had been summoned to explain his actions to the Council for a similar reason.

I will not be interrogated about how I conducted this war by people who have never set a foot outside the Island, or faced the perils and the choices that I had to face.

He remembered feeling, in his heart of hearts, that the Prince was right back then, and that his arguments were sound. But back then he had been a younger man, unable still to perceive certain subtleties. Now, he was older, and about to commit, of his own free will, to following a man who admitted that he would recognize no authority above his. A man who opposed the King, worshipped Melkor and, or so rumours went, wanted the Sceptre for himself.

Or was he, perhaps, overthinking things? Just as he remembered telling his students countless times that thinking too much prevented a swordsman from focusing in the task at hand, it was only reasonable that a soldier would need to forego certain concerns, suspicions, and considerations which could distract him from the war he was waging. Perhaps it was just this, what the Prince was trying to tell him.

There is only you, and your enemy. Nothing else, he had used to say, to an interminable succession of swollen-headed boys who were more preoccupied with their small rivalries, the approval of their parents, their chances to join the Guards and, above all, the girls who watched them, than they were about the fight before them. Nothing but the enemy.

And the enemy, he realized, was Sauron. Someone they could not afford to turn their backs to, even for an instant.

Without even noticing what he was doing, he drank from the cup that he had been holding for a while. The powerful wine caused his throat to explode with heat, and he broke into a cough.

“By the Lord of Battles, it is only wine!” Pharazôn clapped him in the back, until the cough subsided. “That was woefully inadequate. You need to practice before our departure.”

“I am sorry, my lord prince.” He wiped the tears from his eyes, looking for words that could convey the gist of his thoughts without betraying himself too much. “I am… looking forward to it. To the departure, and also to the moment when, as you say, we will not have enough time to remember the factions and the intrigues in Armenelos. It might be a welcome change.”

The Prince of the South nodded in proud approval, as if he was a precocious child.

“Very well! You will go far with that attitude. Now, try again!”

Whatever possessed Elendil to take a second swallow from the cup at Pharazôn’s indication, he did not know, but to his surprise, it went down easier this time. As it trickled down his throat, he could feel warmth gathering in his chest, much stronger than the familiar effects produced by mixed wine. It was not unpleasant, he thought, appreciatively.

“Better and better”, the Prince of the South chuckled.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“May you have a fair wind in your sails, and the protection of the Valar.” Eluzîni had encircled his neck with her arms, forcing his back into such a pronounced curve that it was aching even as he stood, but he did not complain. “And may you be very, very careful.”

Before he kissed her, their eyes met for a moment, and he could see that hers were red and swollen. Most of her last weeks had been spent in the mansion of the lord of Hyarnustar, attending her uncle and adoptive father’s deathbed with her cousin Hiram. Elendil had visited several times, and he was still haunted by remembrances of the gloom of those corridors. Accusations of being cursed by the gods flew easily enough from one side to the other in the crossfire of the Armenelos court, nowadays, but if there was one house which looked as if it had truly been cursed, it was that one. Both the lord and his heir had perished within the same month, leaving no direct descendants of the main line.

When he told her of his decision to leave for the mainland, he had feared the worst. After what had happened to her cousin Vorondil, he assumed that she would be in a distraught, irrational state. And in a sense, she had been, but not in the way that he had expected.

Thank you for doing this, she had sobbed, before he could even explain his motives. If I lost him, I don’t know what I would do. He is so young and impulsive, and the mainland is so dangerous!

Isildur would probably be quite angry, if he were to hear about this. Elendil did not plan on telling him, but he had promised Eluzîni that he would try to prevent their son from doing “anything impulsive”, and he intended to hold to this promise as best as he could.

Their kiss lasted for a long time, in which she seemed to be holding to him as if he was an anchor to life and warmth, her lips caressing and measuring every inch of his face. He kissed her back, praying to the Creator that she could live the rest of her life free from the cold grip of misfortune. Gloom did not suit her; she was made for joy, like the flowers that only blossomed in Spring when the weather was mild, and whose colours were the brightest.

And that was some appalling poetry, he thought ruefully, giving her a last kiss.

“Ahem” someone cleared their throat behind them. At once, Elendil let go of his wife and stepped back, his heart plummeting in his chest. As they turned towards the source of the voice, he saw a slightly uncomfortable Amandil standing by the door.

“I thought you had finished already” he said, in a tone that could be construed as apologetic. Elendil shook his head, too embarrassed to speak, but Eluzîni chuckled nervously.

“We are done now. He withstood my attack with bravery, and now he is ready for new battles.”

“I see”. Amandil smiled at her, but his eyes were on him. “Could you excuse us for a moment? I need to have a word with him.”

“Of course,” she said, departing with a bow. Elendil watched her leave, then turned towards his father.

Since the day that he confronted the lord of Andúnië with his determination of going to the mainland with the Prince of the South, they had held so many conversations that it had proved an impossible task to keep count of them. Some had been calm and composed, others, not so much. In two occasions, his father had ended up yelling, and Elendil was sure that the entire household must have heard what he said.

The previous night, after they welcomed the captains from Andúnië and Elendil was almost finished with the last preparations, they had spoken for a long time, and he had been certain that they had exhausted all the topics anyone could possibly think of covering before going on a military expedition in the mainland. Apparently, he had been wrong.

“What is it, Father?” he asked, trying not to sound either exasperated or apprehensive. Amandil did not even give signs of having heard him: staring intently at his son seemed to be requiring all his energy at the moment.

Elendil sighed. The second time that he had raised his voice, it had started like this, too. But now, the house was teeming with people who were sailing to the mainland with him, and loud disagreements were the last thing that he could afford.

“Father, I will be careful.” More than you were, in any case. He was not so petty as to remind him that this was how he and his mother had felt whenever it was Amandil fighting beyond the Sea, but he had to admit that he had been tempted more than once in the last week. “I will not overestimate my strength, or underestimate my enemies, and I will bring honour to the house of Andúnië.”

“I… “What on Earth was ailing him? He seemed almost physically unable to force the words out of his mouth. “Pharazôn once swore an oath concerning you, as you very well know.”

Elendil blinked. Whatever he had been expecting, it was not this.

“Yes, to protect me when I was a child. And here I am.”

“No.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“No.” Amandil repeated, with even more vehemence. “That was not the oath that he swore. I still have it in my memory, and it went like this: ‘May the King of Armenelos and the Lady of the Forbidden Bay rip my soul to pieces if I ever let any harm come to your child while I live.’.”

“Oh.” Elendil nodded, letting the words sink in. It was the first time that he heard them, and they shocked him, both for the strong terms that had been used, and for the unreal feeling of hearing those divine titles from his father’s lips, even if he knew that he had been a priest of both false gods in the distant past.

The emphasis, however, had been on neither of those elements. After the first surprise, his mind worked fast.

“So, the oath is not fulfilled. If those gods were keeping count, which I find unlikely…”

“He believes in them. For him, they are keeping count.”

“That is reassuring. But, Father “In spite of everything, Elendil had the impression that the main point was still eluding him, “why are you telling me this now?”

Amandil’s frown was fiercer than ever.

“Remind him. In case he has forgotten, you have to remind him.”

“By the Valar, Father! Do you think he will try to get me killed?”

For a moment, he thought that the lord of Andúnië was going to nod in assent, but, to Elendil’s unspoken relief, he shook his head. As he did so, his gaze seemed to clear slightly, and his tone became lighter, as if trying to balance the previous intensity.

“No, of course he will not. I merely… worry about what amount of risk he is likely to find acceptable. As a commander, and as a warrior, he works on instinct, and sometimes he does things that… pose large risks, both to himself and to others. Not that his instincts are not sound, most of the time, but I worry about the day that they are not.”

“I thought you admired him as a general.” Until his son and his grandson were in his army, for that of course would be the time to find the fissures in his strategy, Elendil mused, not unsympathetically. “Father, you know better than I do how these things work. There can be no certainty of anything. But if our general has sound instincts most of the time, and you trust me, as you have said many times that you do, you have to admit that it is the best we could hope for.” He frowned. “I will not remind him of the oath, even if he has forgotten it. With the fate of so many people hanging on his mostly sound instincts, I do not think I should interfere with them merely for the sake of my self-preservation.”

“You are right.” In all the discussions they had had in the last weeks, those words were a first. Elendil even had to wonder if he had heard correctly, or his ears had played him false. “Perhaps I have already forgotten my warring days in the peace of Númenor. Yes, that must be it. Or perhaps…” This seemed even harder for him to admit. “Perhaps I have not forgotten at all; I simply never knew what it was, to stay here while your loved ones put their lives in danger.”

This was so remarkably close to an apology, for the thirty years as well as the later Arnian debacle, that Elendil decided to take it as such, saving him the embarrassment of having to elaborate further.

“You did what you had to, Father. And you always fulfilled your promises, and came back alive. Now, I will endeavour to do so as well, for your sake as well as that of our family and our people.”

For a moment, Amandil’s eyes seemed to darken, with the stirrings of an unknown emotion. Then, he shook his head.

“If you were the fool I used to be, I would have reason to be concerned. Thankfully, you are not. Take good care of Isildur, too, though that is not something I should need to tell you.” He looked like himself again, his composure finally back through who knows what great effort. For a moment, Elendil allowed himself to remember the day before Isildur’s departure, how difficult it had been to look like the proud father that he was expected to be when what he truly wanted was to restrain him and forcefully prevent him from leaving the Island. True, Isildur had been much younger than he was now, but did that really matter? Had it ever mattered to any parent in the world?

“Thank you, Father”, he said, trying to convey all this without words, the appreciation as well as the understanding. He did not know whether he had succeeded, but at least, Amandil smiled.

“May you have fair wind in your sails and the protection of the Valar, my son”, he spoke the traditional words.

Elendil bowed.

The Siege of Pelargir II

Read The Siege of Pelargir II

The dead city was the most haunting spectacle Elendil had ever witnessed.

When it had first come in sight, a blurred silhouette emerging from the Sea, it had seemed no different from Andúnië, Sor or Rómenna: a port city of Númenor, with its hundreds of white towers set against the blue sky. As they approached it, however, the desolation grew visible under the lengthening shadows of dusk. The harbour lay abandoned, except for a few fishing boats that floated forlornly, tied to wooden posts. Behind them, the canal meandered into a sea of ruins, of once proud houses whose magnificent white façades had been blackened by the flames, ridden with dark holes where elaborate doors and windows used to hang before they were consumed. Other houses, made of less noble materials -for some of the merchants had used to hide the evidence of their debt behind ornate palaces of cheap workmanship- had been toppled entirely, dragging others in their fall, and only piles of stone, wood and ash remained where they used to stand. Cobbled streets had fallen into disrepair, and weeds had grown tall between the paving stones; the vanguard of the wild forces of Nature that would one day obliterate any trace of the existence of the proudest city to ever rise in Middle-Earth. Rubble from the ruined houses, boats, and bridges had fallen into the canal, at first slowing the currents which penetrated it twice a day under the influence of the tides; then, gradually, causing sand and deposits to precipitate, forming clots in what had been the greatest artery of the late Gadir, now nothing but a large quagmire.

It was evident that, before its slow death, the canal had absorbed the worst of the impact from the fires, for the houses looked better preserved on the Western bank. It was there that the order was given to find shelter, but, as more and more soldiers landed on the harbour, Elendil wondered if there would be room for all of them. The force they had assembled in Umbar, from the army stationed there and the Númenórean reinforcements, was the greatest gathering of men he had ever seen together in one place. When he had gazed upon them, for the first time in a life spent among grand buildings, palaces, temples, and huge statues commissioned by powerful kings, he had been filled with real awe at the might of Númenor. Now, as he watched those same men disperse around the ruins, talking among them, laughing, and dragging their weapons and belongings with them in search of a good spot to spend the night amid the devastation, he was also struck at its destructive potential. This city had been razed in a Númenórean war, a war where many of those who sought shelter in this secluded spot, away from spies from the mainland, had taken part.

Under his command, he thought, stealing a glance at the man who moved from soldier to captain and from captain to sailor, giving orders, instructions, directions, as if animated by a fiery spirit of which the people of the Island were only allowed to see the embers. If Elendil had been in his place, he thought, he would be so disturbed by this sight as to be unable to set foot in this island for the remainder of his existence. If Pharazôn was unsettled, however, he hid it so well that it was not possible to detect any trace of it.

As if he had noticed that he was being watched, the Prince of the South clapped one of the Umbarians in the shoulder, and turned to face him.

“You should have visited earlier. This city was the fairest of all that the Númenóreans built in the mainland, fairest even than the cities of the Island itself except Armenelos, Now, you will have to take my word for it.”

Elendil nodded, for a moment not sure of what to say to this. He did not feel like exchanging pleasantries about the ruin of Gadir.

“This was the city of your mother’s kin, was it not?” he asked at last.

Pharazôn looked at him evenly, as if trying to decide whether the question had been intended as an accusation. For a moment, Elendil was at the verge of apologizing, for it struck him how often he must he have been subjected to negative judgements since that Council hearing years ago.

“My mother’s traitorous kin, who played with fire in both the figurative and the literal sense, yes”, Pharazôn replied. Elendil’s words became stuck in his mouth. “When you and all your people have found accommodations, I will be holding a meeting on my ship. Be there as soon as you can. Bazerbal, no, do not go that way! That house looks like it is about to fall, and digging your men from the rubble would pose an unacceptable delay.”

“Yes, my lord prince”, he bowed, unseen and unnoticed, to the already departed general.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“So, the situation from the latest reports is as follows.” Barekbal, general of the troops of Umbar, and a dour-faced, grey-haired veteran of many battles, crossed his arms over his chest as he addressed them. “Arne is occupied by the troops of Mordor. When Prince Vorondil engaged them in battle, a large contingent of those troops left Arne to fight him, and afterwards laid siege on Pelargir. The city is still standing, but supplies are running low.” He paused for a moment. “We are not certain on this point, but it is very probable that the Anduin has been blockaded, possibly using the barges of the Arnians, to prevent us from sailing upriver.”

“How many are they, besieging the city?” a man from Umbar that Elendil did not know intervened.

“We do not know for sure. About fifty, fifty-five thousand left Arne to fight the Prince, according to our spy, but they must have experienced casualties.”

“Damn, how can those creatures breed so quickly?” The man cursed aloud, a soldier’s curse involving the name of their outlandish advocation for Melkor. Apparently, they did not fear blasphemy in the mainland as they did in the Island. “Still, we are strong enough to break the siege.”

“And risk being besieged ourselves? No! Now that we have them at our mercy, it would be better to lay siege on them, and crush them against the city’s walls.”

“But how long would that take? Don’t you think that the supplies in the city must be running lower than in the enemy’s camp?”

“We have to press our advantage! Right now, we are…!”

“No”, Pharazôn said. He had been frowning at the map for a while now, and he spoke unexpectedly and without raising his voice, but a dead silence fell upon the tent as soon as he was heard. Elendil did not remember a silence such as this in all the years he had been attending Council sessions, not even when the King himself spoke.

“The enemy knows that we are coming. If it does not bother them, it is because they control Arne, so they can strike at us from the back as soon as we march on Pelargir. If we break the siege, they will be besieging us next, as Eshmounazer was expounding. And if we besiege them… I am sure that you remember what happened in Arne all those years ago. I am certain that they do.”

“We will be caught between one army and the other,” Barekbal nodded grimly. “On the other hand, my lord prince, if we march on Arne, we might lure them away, but risk being trapped there as well.”

“That is why we are going to attempt a different approach.” At last, Pharazôn raised his glance from the map. To Elendil’s surprise, since he had not intervened in the discussion, it became fixed on him. “Lord Elendil, you will command the army that just arrived from Númenor to deliver Pelargir from the siege of Mordor. You can take your own men and the others who sailed with us from the Island, and half of the Umbar troops. It has to be an impressive force, something that the mighty Sea Lords would send from their Island.”

Elendil could not believe what he had just heard. As all the other glances became also fixed on him, he forced his mind to work at a furious speed.

“And you, my lord prince? Where will you be?”

“I will take a contingent of my best troops, with Barekbal, and land on the coast at night. We will not take the river route, but seek the cover of the forest and the mountains, where the tribes live. The political map in the Bay has now fallen in disarray, but many of those tribes were once our allies. Some might remember that I once returned their hostages and led them to victory. If they don’t, I will find a way to persuade them, whether by my natural charm or the swords and spears of the soldiers who come with me.” A few people laughed. “And while the attention of the enemy is fixed elsewhere, I will fall upon Arne, and reconquer it. Once that we no longer have their fortifications at our backs, we can freely march on Pelargir.”

Elendil expected someone more experienced than him, of the war commanders who stood in that cabin, to voice a strenuous opposition to what seemed to him like the maddest plan ever devised. He tried to count all the things that could go wrong; the list had already grown too long before even coming to the Arne part.

“The capital will be difficult to take, my lord”, Barekbal remarked. Pharazôn arched an eyebrow.

“Barekbal and his objections. How long since I last heard one! Arne is still full of Arnians, and I am sure they will be easily persuaded to join the invaders if they see any chance of success.”

“I feel it is my duty to remind you that they do not like us very much.”

“I know that. But Sauron has a way to make other conquerors look good. What would you prefer, if you were an Arnian, an Orc garrison or a Númenórean garrison? I have defeated Mordor in the past, they can trust me to do so again, and to be better disposed towards them if they help me.”

Barekbal nodded reluctantly, and so did others around him. Watching them, Elendil despaired of receiving any support from them.

“If I am to be a decoy, I would like to know what are the chances that the army which should come to my aid will succeed in its endeavour” he spoke. “I also wish to know what my response should be, my lord prince, if the troops before Pelargir decide to engage in battle and attack me before you have been able to complete your plan.”

He heard some murmurations behind him, and he wondered if he had just committed a serious breach of protocol. As far as his understanding of war went, those councils were the place where such discussions were meant to happen, but if they had considered Barekbal’s words to be an objection, he had to admit that his could also be seen as one.

Pharazôn made a gesture, and the murmurations subsided.

“As the appointed general of the Pelargir army, it will be your duty to ensure that our enemies remain where they are for as long as possible. Besiege them, cut their supply lines, parley with them, tell them whatever you want. Anything that can buy us time. I will need…” He seemed to be pondering something briefly, “ten, no, twelve days. Once the twelve days are over, you can expect me to reach your position with the Arnian reinforcements. If I am not there, you will flee downriver and retreat to Gadir, because they will be coming for you instead.”

“What if you are only delayed, my lord?”

“I will not be.”

Each time that Elendil opened his mouth, he realized that the murmurations grew in intensity. Still, he could not prevent himself from doing so once more.

“You seem very certain of success.” What had his father said, before they took their leave in Armenelos? As a commander, and as a warrior, he works on instinct, and sometimes he does things that pose large risks, both to him and others. Not that his instincts are not sound, most of the time, but I worry about the day that they are not.

This city, he realized suddenly, was a living monument to what happened when they were not.

“You will worry about your duties, Lord Elendil, and I will worry about mine.”

This was so final that it did not leave room for further insistence. As he desisted on that front, however, the reality dawned on him that “his duties” had grown immensely larger than they used to be mere instants ago. Decoy or not, he had just been appointed general of the larger part of the army, which would march on Pelargir under his command. And once there, he would have to rely on his own wits not only to do the Prince’s bidding, but perhaps also to ensure his own survival and that of his son, not to speak of the rest of his men.

Was he ready? Or did Pharazôn’s penchant for taking large risks include the appointment of an unexperienced man who had set foot on the mainland for the first time? Elendil had never proved himself to him, or to anyone, but the Prince had always claimed to be certain of his future greatness. Was this one of his sound instincts, or just a foolish gamble?

“I believe that we are done here. You should all go and get some rest, for tomorrow will be a busy day. Barekbal, do not go too far, there are things that we need to discuss about the expedition. Eshmounazer, go and tell the priest to prepare everything for the sacrifice tomorrow”, Pharazôn spoke, as Elendil stood pondering those things. Suddenly, his thoughts were interrupted by an unpleasant jolt in his stomach. He looked up, and the Prince’s eyes met his; he had been looking at him, and what he had seen on his face seemed not to have been to his liking.

“Elendil, stay”, he commanded.

His nod of acknowledgement came with some delay, betraying his distraction. In silence, the heir of Andúnië watched as the throng of Núménórean commanders walked past him towards the exit, some of them fixing him with appraising glances, others with barely hidden critical stares.

“You do not look very much at ease since we landed here”, Pharazôn said, as soon as they were left alone. “I understand that the ruins of this city have an unsettling quality that extends even to those who were once its bitter enemies” Like you, he did not need to say. “I am also a trying man to follow, as Barekbal has been reminding me over the years, and as your father might have mentioned to you sometime. Still, I will not apologize for that, as being too certain that I will not fail, as you put it, has often proved to be the fine line between life and death. War is not just about weapons, Elendil, it is also about persuasion. You need to persuade not only your allies or your men that you are invincible, but also your enemies, and you will never succeed in that if you are not able to persuade yourself first.”

And what about the fine line between confidence and folly? Elendil wondered, though he did not say it aloud.

“And speaking of persuasion” Pharazôn continued,” tomorrow we will be holding the most important ceremony, which will persuade each and every soldier, in their heart of hearts, that we cannot be defeated by any minions of Darkness as long as the King of Light stands beside us. The sacrifice.”

Elendil’s worst suspicions were confirmed.

“My lord prince.” He did not know how to put this in a way that it would not sound too confrontational. “I cannot participate in that.”

Pharazôn’s brow creased into a frown. Even though he had probably been expecting this answer, he still feigned surprise.

“And why would that be?”

“You know why. I am the leader of the Faithful in the mainland at this moment, my lord.”

“No. You are not.” Elendil began opening his mouth, but Pharazôn was faster. “As of now, you are the leader of the Faithful and the Unfaithful alike. You are a general of soldiers, most of whom are devoted to the Lord of Battles and pray to him to protect their lives and give them courage against the enemy. Those soldiers are going to war tomorrow, and for them this sacrifice is a matter of life or death. As one of their leaders, you cannot disregard this for the sake of faction politics and conventions which belong somewhere else, in a place where people feel safe enough to engage in theological disputes.”

Elendil stood his ground.

“I understand how they feel about this. But I do have men too, and I also need to understand how they feel. I cannot sacrifice…”

“Attend.” Pharazôn corrected. “You only have to attend. You are not familiar with this custom, so I will explain it to you: I am the one who does the killing.”

“If that is so, then my absence will not in any way hinder the correct development of the ceremony, will it?”

“It will be perceived as an act of hostility, by the very men you will be leading from tomorrow. And I cannot have that. Not at the eve of a war where the fate of many lies on the balance “The Prince of the South’s voice had become as steely as the sharp edge of a blade. “No general has ever done such a thing.”

“The King has not sacrificed for fifty years. He has declared this custom to be abhorrent and sinful.”

“The previous King declared your customs to be abhorrent and sinful, and you did not stop practising them. Who knows what the next one will say?” Pharazôn threw his hands up in the air. “You were close to the Princess of the West, have you ever asked her what she believes in?” Elendil’s glance must have betrayed a flicker of surprise or doubt, because the older man latched on to it in triumph. “I see that you have not. Or perhaps it does not matter to you, as it does not matter to these men.”

“If you are trying to introduce dissension among the Faithful, my lord prince, it will not work.” Elendil willed his voice to be perfectly even, in an attempt not to reveal how much this insinuation had disturbed him. The Princess of the West had not always been the most balanced of women, and now her husband was dead… but from this to fearing that everything they had built would suddenly be thrown in disarray through her actions as Queen, there was a long stretch. Pharazôn, whom many believed to covet her Sceptre, was the last person who should be trusted on this.

“Is that what you believe I am doing?” The Prince of the South laughed, as if the very thought was ludicrous. Then, however, he sobered again. “Elendil, I know that you are a reasonable man, and that you know, in your heart of hearts, that I am right. Even if your loyalties do not allow you to say as much in words, you understand that you cannot jeopardise your position and the whole mission for something like this. That is why I know that you will be there tomorrow at midday. And one day, after the campaign is over, and Arne and Pelargir are free from danger, we can discuss religion over a glass of wine, and you can tell me stories about the Valar and about the evils of sacrifice.”

Had he already managed to persuade himself that he would be right?  Elendil took a sharp breath, feeling anger and exasperation burn in his chest, both at the man who stood before him and at himself for the decision that brought him to stand here in the first place.

“If you will excuse me, my lord prince”, he muttered curtly, turning away and heading towards the cabin door at a brisk pace.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You cannot do that. He cannot expect you to do that. It’s outrageous!”

Elendil leaned against the hull of the ship, watching the stars shine over the cursed city. A feeling of unreality was taking hold of him, and he could not help but wonder about the power that this sacrificial issue had to obscure everything else, even the pressing awareness that he had been promoted and turned into a key piece of the game of chess that the Prince of the South was playing against Mordor, the first time that he set foot outside the Island, without any prior experience or clear ideas on how to act.

He looked around him. Isildur, of course, was the most vocal, but Adûnazer, who had been in the mainland before with his father, had an air of disapproval about him that wasn’t any less evident for being quiet.

“It has been three months now since Malik and I arrived at the Second Wall, and in all this time, we have never participated in any of their rites and sacrifices. Of course, there were men who did not like that, and the General was not too fond of us, but we would never have given up on this point, and he was aware of that.”

Elendil shook his head.

“That is commendable, but the situation was different. First, because you were not on a military campaign, with an entire city and the lives of its people at stake. Second, because you were only responsible for yourselves. “

“But that is exactly why you cannot…!” Words did not come easily to his son in this state of excitement. “That is the reason, Father! You are responsible for the Faithful!”

And what of the Unfaithful? Elendil mused, remembering Pharazôn’s sarcastic choice of words.

When he was young, he remembered attending the sacrifices of the temple of Melkor in Armenelos. Once, in one of the high days, he even remembered seeing the King from afar, though he could not recall his face, obscured by the smoke of the altar fires where the corpses were burned. Back then, he had not known that it was wrong - a simpler time, as he was tempted now to think of it.

Back then, too, he had seen the Prince of the West next to the King, participating in the sacrifice. There were many rumours that he did not approve of it, and that his father was suspicious of him because of that, but there he had been, nonetheless. If he had refused, perhaps he would not have been allowed to take the Sceptre after Ar Gimilzôr’s death.

And back then, though he had not seen it with his own eyes, Amandil, his father, had been a priest of Melkor and Uinen, she whom the Númenóreans worshipped as the Queen of the Seas. Neither of them had wanted to do it, but they had been forced by the circumstances, to avoid danger, death or failure. Now, it was danger, death or failure what threatened them, as well, and if Isildur was too young and Adûnazer too short-sighted to recognize it, his own eyes had to be as keen as those of Tar Palantir. He had to look beyond, and make his own decisions.

Even if your loyalties do not allow you to say as much in words, you understand that you cannot jeopardise your position and the whole mission for something like this.

It was remarkable that Pharazôn could sound like the voice of reason, right after he had devised the most risked plan that Elendil had ever heard about, refused to think of the consequences of failure, and expected him to go along with it. But even here, even in this, he could appreciate how it all had to do with feelings, with the way in which they were evoked and controlled. This seemed to be the Prince’s way of operating in the mainland: he created ties of feeling, of belief, strong enough to move people in the directions that he intended. Riding this dangerous wave, he appeared more at ease than other men who calculated hard figures or relied on conventional tactics. Elendil had to admit that he had never seen such a large body of people, islanders, colonials, barbarians even, of different origin and station, be so easily controlled by anyone. If he wanted to do the same, and Pharazôn had made sure that he would need to, he would have to join this communion, not destroy it.

“As much as this personally bothers me, the Prince of the South made an important point”, he said, suddenly aware that everyone had fallen silent, expecting him to speak. “I am now responsible for a much larger army than the one I set sail with.”

“But the Faithful…”

“…are inside the city, besieged, hoping that we will deliver them before their defences are breached.”

“And you think Morgoth will deliver them?”

“No. Neither he, who lies is the Void, nor any other Vala or Maia will help us or hinder us. They have their own tasks to perform, and they do not include interfering in the affairs of Men. We have to do it ourselves, and for this, we have to stand as one. There will be time to argue about faith afterwards, if we are still alive.”

He was starting to sound like Pharazôn. And, as he should have expected, Isildur did not fail to notice.

“I cannot understand why both you and Grandfather can be so taken with him. Why do you heed his advice? Can’t you see that he is the enemy?”

“The enemy”, he spoke slowly, intently, willing himself to keep his calm,” is Sauron. The Prince of the South is our commander, appointed by the King. You would do well to remember that.”

“If you forgive me for saying this” Adûnazer had been silent for so long that they both turned in surprise at the sound of his voice. “The King may have appointed the Prince of the South, but he may also have expected you to exercise a balancing influence over his most… unorthodox tendencies.”

Because that would work so well, Elendil thought, bitterly. Leading figures from opposing factions in the Island squabbling over ceremonies on the eve of a decisive battle.

Once we board that ship, we will be in the middle of a difficult campaign, and neither you nor I will have the time to worry about what the King, the Council, the Court, or the people of Armenelos are saying about our respective actions, Pharazôn had said in the Palace, before their departure. With a pang in his chest, he remembered also other words, those of the priest who had raised his father, when the man had declared before the Council that the Númenóreans should never have set foot in Middle-Earth, or laid claim over territories that did not belong to them. He might be a worshipper of Morgoth, but, just as with the Prince of the South, there was also truth in his words, however involuntary, and he saw it now in a flash of terrible clarity.

As long as they held the mainland, as long as they needed to fight Orcs and Men to hold to their territories, homes and possessions, as long as they kept large armies stationed in the fringes of the world, the Lord of Battles would prevail. Tar Palantir had been wrong, when he spent so many of his energies trying to secure the colonies and binding them to his reform. It may have seemed like he was succeeding, in times of peace, but the logic of war was reasserting its hold now, and the Wave was back to torment the dreams of his kinsmen.

He stood up, trying not to shake.

“I will attend the sacrifice tomorrow, though I will not take part in it.” Isildur made as if to open his mouth, but he did not allow him the opportunity. “After the danger has passed, we have prevailed and Pelargir is safe, however, I will no longer be bound by this obligation, and then I will honour my duties towards the Faithful of the Island. This I can promise to you, my son.”

And, before either of the men could think of a reply to this pronouncement, he walked away from them, praying that he would be able to find rest that night.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Dawn came upon them under a thick veil of fog, which the timid glow of early sunrays did not manage to dispel until midday was nearly upon them. From the prow of his ship, Elendil could see the throng of soldiers slowly filling the harbour like a swarm of ants. He wore a heavy ceremonial armour, whose weight slowed his steps, and for a moment he felt as if it was slowing his breath as well. When he reached the stone platform, however, and the throng was parted to let him pass amid whispers and murmurations, he came to the realization that the weight that was crushing him was not from the armour alone. Raising his gaze, he willed himself to quicken his step, and show no emotion.

Pharazôn was waiting for him by the altar, which had been erected next to the prow of his ship. As soon as the Prince saw him, his eyes shone triumphantly, and for a moment it became difficult to keep himself from clenching his teeth. Instead, he offered him a tight nod.

“We were waiting for you, Lord Elendil. Stand over there, you do not want to approach further.” Surrounding Pharazôn, the priest of Melkor -a man whose name he did not know, but who did not look anything like the priests of Armenelos, and would have been virtually undistinguishable from the soldiers who surrounded them if not for his robes of office- and Barekbal, the general from Umbar, subjected him to long, judgemental looks. The first made a sign to the acolytes, who started pulling at the ropes to lead the bulls to the platform where they stood. The process was as slow and painstaking as Elendil remembered it from his youth, for the animals were frightened by the multitude and fought hard to remain in the safety of their cages, bellowing to the skies as they were dragged away from them. He wondered if they, even with their beastly intelligence, could have a premonition of their approaching fate, like some Men would catch glimpses of the future in their dreams. This thought, however, excited his pity, which had no place in a ceremony such as this, so he was forced to discard it.

When the first bull reached the altar, a strange silence fell upon the multitude, broken only by the sounds of struggle and hissed instructions of the officiants. The priest of Melkor and Barekbal grabbed hold of two of the ropes, manoeuvring the animal into a favourable position with a quiet expertise acquired through years of experience. Pharazôn had not moved in all that while, seemingly oblivious to the danger that one of the bull’s sudden movements could pose to him, but now he advanced one step, wielding the sacrificial blade. Suddenly possessed, in spite of his conscious mind, by the unhealthy urge to see more, Elendil committed the mistake of leaning forwards just as it was plunged, with uncanny precision, in the back of the beast’s neck. With a heart-wrenching bellow, its legs gave way, and as the enormous bulk was toppled to the ground, drops of blood sprayed his hands and face. They felt warm against his skin, and the sight filled him with a dull horror. For a moment, Pharazôn looked up from the writhing beast, and as their eyes met, his lips curved in a smile.

“I told you not to approach further”, he said.

Elendil’s determination not to give the Prince or his men the satisfaction of seeing his emotions was even further tested when the bull was cut open, and the priest of Melkor stood by with a basin to gather the sacrificial blood and pull the liver, still pulsating with life, away from its bowels. In his mind, the silence was oppressive, almost frightening in its own subtle way. Just when he was thinking that he could not stand it for another moment, however, the priest gave a nod, and Pharazôn rose, the oozing liver held in his hands.

“The omens are favourable!” he yelled. “The Lord is with Númenor!”

The crowd erupted in a deafening roar, loud enough, or so it seemed to him, as to bring down the ruins that still stood proud against this desolate landscape. Slowly, from its indistinct, thunderous rumble, words began to emerge, impossible to isolate at first, then coalescing into a chant. It was a litany, Elendil noticed belatedly, one that he remembered hearing in religious ceremonies very long ago.

“The King has come!”

“Hail the King!”

“He came back from the Darkness in triumph!”

“Hail the King!”

“Now he treads upon the living world, where he will dwell ‘til the end of time!”

The first bull was followed by another, and then another, until the sun was almost halfway down the paths of the sky and Elendil had lost count of the victims, the carnage, and the chants of the fervorous multitude. At some point, the violence ceased disturbing him, and instead he became unsettled by the attitude of the soldiers. Until that day, he had seen them as fellow Númenóreans, who spoke his tongue and shared in his customs, with the unfortunate exception of their beliefs and religious practices, but now he realized that he had been wrong. This people, who grew ecstatic at the sight of blood, who hung on the slightest sign of hesitation in the priest’s countenance while he inspected the bull’s bowels, as if their lives depended on it, and plunged themselves into a frenzy singing the praises of their god, had nothing in common with him or his men. And what was even worse: this false god, this Dark Enemy of the World whom they addressed in their prayers, was invoked through the mediating figure of Pharazôn, until the edges between man and god grew dangerously blurred, and Elendil could not say who was truly receiving their devotion. Men needed someone to listen to their prayers and save them, or so the enemies of the Faithful claimed, but what happened when a fellow man was perceived as being able to fill that void? For those soldiers, the Prince of the South was their true saviour, the one who could lead them to victory against the forces of darkness.

Could this claim be enough to turn mortal man into god?

“Disgusting, isn’t it?” With a slight jolt of surprise, he realized that the object of his sombre musings was now standing next to him, seemingly done butchering his victims. He extended a hand, which was entirely covered in gore up to the elbow, then shrugged apologetically when Elendil did not take it. “We are going to take a bath in the Sea now, to wash this out. You are welcome to join us, Lord Elendil, as I see there is also blood on you, in spite of my best precautions.”

“That was my fault, my lord prince. I was careless, but it will not happen again”, he replied, trying for a firm voice. Instead, it came out as cutting. “If you excuse me, I have preparations to oversee.”

“Oh.” In the Prince of the South’s remarkable poise, the smallest hint of hesitation seemed to have crept, just enough to make him look human again. After his thoughts of moments ago, this came as oddly reassuring, in the way a child would be reassured when he awoke from a nightmare, and his eyes rested upon the immutable arrangement of the furniture in his bedroom, the view from the window, the frown in a familiar face. “Very well, I will leave you to it then. Be sure to meet me here at dusk, as there are things we must discuss before my departure tonight.”

The voice was now back to businesslike, and Elendil took it as such, bowing to indicate that he had received the message. Then, unwilling to be dragged by the currents of people who sought to either approach them or disperse, he turned away and started the laborious process of withdrawal to his own ship. His eyes sought the horizon, in search of familiar faces, but at this point there were none that he could see. Not for the first time, he wondered if it had been madness to travel this far, only to be where he did not belong, surrounded by a sea of strangers.

Had this been how his father had always felt?

“You have blood on your face, my lord”, a voice disturbed his thoughts. He turned towards it, suddenly so glad to see Adûnazer that even the subtle hint of accusation in his tone could not reach him. He nodded, gravely.

“Let us wash it away, then.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Pharazôn’s expedition was scheduled to sail to the mainland under cover of the night, to avoid detection. Those going with him had taken all the boats from the ships of the fleet, where they huddled together in an attempt to cram as many men in as little space as possible. Once they landed, the boats would be sunk, so no one would be able to discover their presence through them. This, however, would also leave them without their only escape route if things did not go as planned.

Elendil wondered once more at this ability to let go of all fears and doubts, and trust a man enough to be ready to gamble one’s life on the outcome of his strategy. Perhaps it was sustained by the knowledge that there was no way that the Prince of the South would fare differently than the others, if they were to fail. That someone so powerful, whom many viewed as a contender for the Sceptre in the years to come, could plan to die here was so unthinkable, so ludicrous, that victory would appear as the only valid alternative.

“I wish you good fortune, my lord prince. The fate of Númenor rests upon your shoulders”, he recited, as they watched the sun sink in the ocean like a great ball of fire.

“Not only mine.” Pharazôn’s forehead curved in a frown. “You will need to buy us as much time as you can, and keep the attention of the enemy fixed on you. That will be no mean feat, especially for someone who has never fought a war before.”

Having second thoughts about his appointment? Elendil wondered. His pride would hardly allow him to express such doubts, and yet, for all his self-assured airs, the Prince of the South was but a man. Even if he tried to pretend otherwise.

“I will do my best, my lord.” He tried to affect the veneer of confidence that everyone seemed to respect here more than ranks and titles.

“Listen, if you…” Someone yelled out an order from one of the boats, and Pharazôn’s attention shifted for a moment towards the direction of the voice, then back towards him. “If you do not see me arrive after twelve days, you have to retreat and regroup. There will be time to fight another day. And do not even think of engaging them directly.”

“I won’t. “He could not resist the temptation to go on. “I do have to say, however, that it would have been no offense to me or my family if you had chosen a more experienced man in my place, if you felt that the situation required it. I would not even blame you if you did it now, because you have thought better of it since yesterday.”

The Prince of the South eyed him appraisingly.

“That is generous of you, but I never go back on my decisions. You will do well, Elendil, of this I am sure, and neither my pride nor your status have anything to do with this certainty.”

So, he did trust him, even with something that could also mean his death and that of many other people. But then, why did he seek to entrap him, why did he treat him as an enemy?

“I owe you an apology”. These words came as such a surprise that, for a moment, Elendil’s composure was frayed around the edges, and his eyes widened. “For earlier.”

“There is no need to apologize, my lord.” Not if you would do it again, which I am certain you would.

Pharazôn shrugged.

“Think about it in this way. According to you, there are no gods, or else they are away, unable to hear our prayers. This should mean that everything you witnessed down there was but an empty charade, performed by a bunch of superstitious fools. Not even your Baalim whom you honour could possibly blame you for witnessing a bunch of fools doing foolish things, could they? I have stood at the Hallow of Eru on the Meneltarma many times, as the King spoke his holy words, though I do not believe Eru was listening, and I think that the King is a fool for trying to engage Him in conversation.”

Elendil was tempted to snort. One would almost think that the Prince of the South was truly sorry, the way he was rambling. But for the tiny detail that he knew, as well as Elendil or perhaps even better, that whether the gods were listening or not, the men definitely had been. Listened, seen, and witnessed one more of the Prince’s victories.

“Be as it may, that is already behind, in the past. As I believe you once said, my lord prince, we have to focus on the perils at hand, and forget about the troubles that we left behind, lest they distract us from our duties. Once that we have delivered Pelargir and routed the enemy, we can have this conversation.”

“You are right, of course.” Back when she starred in those Court plays, Eluzîni could have learned a thing or two from this man. And so could he, now, he mused, thinking of how this type of ability might have to avail him in the days ahead. “I will see you in Pelargir in twelve days. Good luck and fair fortune to you and yours, Lord Elendil, though I do not believe that you will need it.”

Bowing for the last time, the heir of Andúnië silently watched the Prince walk away, towards the boat where Barekbal and his other companions awaited him.

 

The Siege of Pelargir III

Read The Siege of Pelargir III

“The lord Maharis is here to see you, my lord prince.”

“Have him approach.” Pharazôn looked down the ramparts, where a pile of corpses was being gathered for burning. Most of them were Orcs, whose blood left black, irregular trails upon the white pavement, but there were also Men: some familiar to him, from Haradric tribes with long-standing alliances with Mordor, and some wholly unfamiliar. Those wore strange garb and carried strange weapons, and they had travelled from distant lands only to die here.

“My lord Pharazôn.” The chief of the Arnian cavalry avoided the bodies that still lay strewn in their vicinity, until he came close enough to greet him with a perfunctory bow. He was a tough old man with a weather-beaten look, perhaps enhanced by a beard which was not in fashion among the Arnians, but which he had grown so it would hide the worst of a large scar covering most of his chin, courtesy of the minions of Sauron. And as distrustful as a pack of rabid wolves in the wild, he added, ruefully, to himself.

As Pharazôn had moved swiftly through the region, choosing speed over numbers and securing only the alliance of the tribes whose territories he would need to cross, he would have met his deadlines early, if not for this man’s stubbornness. After Sauron’s general had grown strong in the city, imprisoning the King in his own palace, he had taken the mantle of leader of the resistance, and it could not be denied that his actions had been brave, but he would never have reconquered Arne only with his ragtag band of followers. In spite of that, he had the reckless audacity of denying Pharazôn for two days straight, risking their position and jeopardizing their survival until he was sure of the Númenórean’s intentions. Pharazôn had been forced to bear with his attitude for the sake of the greater cause, but he would not be sorry the day he saw the last of him.

“Did you find the King?”

“Yes.” The Arnian shook his head with regret. “He is dead. They killed him as soon as we launched our attack.”

One less problem to contend with, then, he thought.

“Anyone still alive with a drop of royal blood in their veins?”

“No. I am afraid that the royal line of Arne is extinct. Most of the ministers are either dead or missing, too.” And perhaps the old man was not so sorry about it as he tried to pretend. Suddenly, Pharazôn’s keen nose detected a whiff of ambition. “This poses a complicated problem, my lord.”

“A problem that is no immediate concern of mine. Tomorrow at dawn, we ride for Pelargir with your cavalry, as we established in our treaty. There will be time to discuss the government of Arne after the war is done.”

“What if Sauron decides to attack while we are away?”

Trying to go back on his deal, didn´t he? Pharazôn sized him up with a steely glare.

“You have a stronghold. You have infantry. If they decide to abolish the unfortunate custom of welcoming the Dark Lord’s armies inside their walls, your people may even hold out until I am free to come to their aid.”

The answering look that he received was as hostile as he could expect. At least, basic prudence prevented Maharis from showing as much frankness in words.

“If I stayed here, I could re-establish order and secure the kingdom against any further attacks.” Starting with my own, for you would ward your gates against me the moment I turned my back on you, Pharazôn thought, but a different kind of prudence forced him to swallow those words, too. It was as if he was holding two different conversations at the same time: the voiced and the unvoiced one.

“I need your cavalry with its leader” he reminded the man, in a rather sharp tone. To this, the Arnian did not reply, though he seemed to be thinking furiously, perhaps of another subterfuge that would allow him to emerge victorious from their battle of wills.

Pharazôn did not leave him the chance.

“You are dismissed now. I suggest that you employ the few hours that you have to organize your troops, for we will ride at dawn, and I will not be delayed for anything less than Sauron himself showing up at our gates.” He paused for a moment, silently daring the man to speak. “And if you still have time after that, I suggest that you sleep. Rest will be rather scarce in the days to come.”

Not even waiting to see if Maharis gave any signs of assent, he turned away, and walked on. He listened for a moment for the tell-tale sound of footsteps that would indicate that the Arnian warrior had followed him, but he heard nothing.

Good, he thought. He had conquered Arne twice now, the Ringwraith had fled in fear from his advance, remembering his previous defeat, and the soldiers of Mordor were all scattered or dead. He did not feel like engaging in a ridiculous power struggle with an ambitious old man.

All he felt now was the need to be alone, even for the brief span of an hour.

Finally coming upon the flight of stairs he had been looking for, Pharazôn started a laborious descent from the ramparts of Arne.

 

*     *     *     *    *

 

Some soldiers had found the stash of Númenórean wines which had been kept for banquets in the Palace. Though rigorously rationed, each of the conquerors had been able to enjoy a cupful of it, to warm their hearts in this brief lull of the storm. Holding a goblet on each hand, Pharazôn headed towards what used to be the Queen’s gardens, now a wilderness where weeds had been growing indiscriminately for what looked like months. It had taken a while to extricate himself from his most pressing obligations, from those who sought instructions and asked for orders, but finally he had found one golden instant of quiet.

Carefully, he counted his steps, until he reached the spot where the earth gave signs of having been recently disturbed. The soil was damp from the humidity of the night as he sat on it.

“You are wrong, Barekbal”, he spoke. “I am aware that you have a poor opinion of Elendil, but he is not like his son, and he will have held out in Pelargir, waiting for our reinforcements. You were already wrong about him once, remember? He attended the sacrifice in Gadir, though you insisted that he would not. My, you are such a hard man to convince! Once you have decided that you dislike someone, they can prove themselves as much as they want, but they will never stand a chance with you. Merimne used to say that the one thing she admired about me was how I had managed to get you to like me. All the other things I had ever done were within reach of any great warrior from the lore of her people, but not this.”

An oppressive silence met his words, only broken by the distant noises of the Númenórean and Arnian soldiers’ last preparations.

“Here, drink this. I saved it for you.” Solemnly, Pharazôn tipped the goblet he was holding in his right hand, spilling the wine on the wet soil. At first, it would not swallow it, and the red liquid formed a puddle at his feet, but after a while the puddle slowly began to dwindle. “There, that is much better.”

Barekbal had been slow to drink in life, too, for there was nothing he disliked more than losing control. To him hot, volatile emotions, impulsivity and recklessness, were the attributes of barbarians, and the reason why Númenóreans were able to conquer them so easily. But then, as he stood at the pinnacle of his career, and in command of the greatest garrison of Númenor, he had abandoned everything to follow him on this reckless adventure without a word of complaint. Or almost without a word of complaint, he corrected, the chuckle becoming stuck in his throat as he remembered all the complaints that Barekbal had voiced to him over the years.

“Do you remember those first months? I used to tell you that you were welcome to return to the Middle Havens, where you would be able to organize everything to your entire satisfaction. Then, I realized that you enjoyed being the lone voice of reason too much to relinquish the role. Almost as much as you enjoyed hating Merimne and endlessly complaining about our allies, too. The darker your brow was, the gloomier your expression, the happier you were feeling inside. You were one twisted bastard!”

It would be just like him to be happy now, for having given his life for Pharazôn and for Númenor. Pharazôn himself, however, would rather have him sitting by his side, drinking his wine in the proper way, and throwing dark insinuations about the situation downriver. And he would have Merimne, too, fixing him with that fiery gaze which seemed to be issuing a perpetual challenge. He would have them argue, and Adherbal would join in after a while, when he finally thought of something witty to say.

For a moment, this desire became so strong, so overwhelming, that it robbed him of the ability to breathe. He tried to drink a mouthful from his cup, but it would not pass through his throat, and when it finally did, he felt the liquid burn his innards, like flames in a sacred altar that rose to receive a sacrifice.

Sacrifice. The idea was too unbearable now, but he could not prevent his mind from following its thread. The gods did not grant their favours in exchange for nothing, or so the priests taught, and the price rose together with the stakes. The King of Armenelos himself had once died to triumph over his enemies, and to imitate Him they sacrificed birds and bulls, mere beasts that were worth a certain amount of coin. Weren’t they deluding themselves all along, thinking that this could be a reflection, even a pale one, of that one true sacrifice? Barekbal, whose body lay in an unmarked grave to prevent the possibility of enemies desecrating it before the war was over, and all the unnamed soldiers who had perished on the way, were much closer to it than a thousand bulls could ever be. They could try to cheat Heaven of what was rightfully its due, using civilized subterfuges, but in the end, it would always find a way to reclaim it. And then, he might claim ignorance and grieve for his fallen friends, but victory being the only acceptable outcome, he knew that he would still have sacrificed every single one of them if he had to do it again.

Bullshit, the most pragmatical, down-to-earth part of his mind rebelled even as it harboured that thought. This was merely the way of war as it had always been: people died, and their deaths were necessary payment for victory. Covering this truth with the ornate garb of religious talk did not make it any more, or any less, terrible. It had been Elendil’s fault that he had been thinking so much about sacrifice lately; perhaps even now, this was all but an attempt to make sense of the horrified look he had seen in his eyes that morning in the harbour of Gadir. And of course, it had also been Barekbal’s fault for dying. He had been the last of his faithful circle, and without him, Middle-Earth had suddenly become an empty and silent waste, where his thoughts could turn and twist into monstrous shapes without anyone being left to prevent it.

In his life, Pharazôn had learned to fight. He had learned to lead. He had learned to be a politician, a councilman, the Prince of the South, the King’s rival, Zimraphel’s lover. There was nothing he had not been able to learn, as long as he set his will to it. Now, he had to learn how to focus his thoughts and remain in control without the help of anyone, and he knew he would be able to do it, too. Once he achieved this, there would be no more weaknesses left for his enemies to exploit. He would win this war, be acclaimed as the hero of Pelargir, and then, he would be King in Armenelos.

“I swear by the Lord of Battles that I will come back for you, my friend”, he promised, standing solemnly at the edge of the grave while his hand clenched on the empty goblet. “One day, I will.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Malik. Malik! Oh, there you are at last! I was beginning to think that you had gone to attack the enemy camp on your own.”

To anyone who overheard him now this might seem an odd fear indeed, and yet Isildur was only half-joking. His friend was capable of this and more, and in his current state of restlessness there was no way of telling what any of his prolonged disappearances could mean. At the very least, he could be wandering alone in no man’s land, risking an encounter with an enemy patrol.

“You wrong me with your assumption”, the son of Ashad declared solemnly. “I would have brought you along if that had been the case.”

Isildur shrugged, allowing himself to fall back on the rugged edge of the stone where he had been awaiting his friend’s return.

“My father would not be pleased to hear you say that. There are enough troubles on his plate as it is.”

“You are a good son. Tell me: if it was Barekbal, would you have hesitated?”

“Now, it is you who offends me. When have I ever stopped at anything if the outcome was to make Barekbal angry?” Then, he sobered a little. “Listen, I know that this whole situation is trying…”

“You don’t say!” Malik retorted, angrily. He had been in a foul mood ever since the start of the campaign, even worse than Isildur himself. Though he understood the motives behind the decisions that had been taken, he chafed at the deliberate slowness, the studied air of incompetence, the Vorondil-like arrogance mixed with the Governor of Sor’s unwillingness to commit to a situation of risk. Elendil had played this so well that there was barely a single soldier in their army who did not dream of mutiny by this point. He had explained to Isildur, many times, that their role was to act as bait, that they needed to avoid direct engagement until the reinforcements arrived from Arne, and that the only way to do so without arousing suspicion was to behave like a bunch of inexperienced fools who had just sailed from Númenor. His father had drawn from his years of observation of his fellow councilmen’s behaviour to create this persona of a Númenórean lord who advanced on the Bay as if on a triumphal parade, and yet wasted his time setting camp and organizing a complicated system of fortifications around his location while he repeatedly enjoined the enemy to surrender. Ironically enough, the men who came from Númenor with them were the most vocal in complaining about this; Isildur had heard many of them claim that their numbers were enough to face the troops from Mordor and break the siege on their own. Which was dubious at best, even without the constant threat of the troops in Arne sweeping on them and catching them in a pincer attack.

This, however, was only part of what was bothering Malik since they got there. Back in Umbar, they had been involved in skirmishes and minor actions of war against the tribes of Harad, and this had not seemed to concern him, even as some people -the General among them- frowned at his mixed ancestry. Here, on the other hand, they had soon discovered that the leader of the Mordor army that was besieging the city was no Orc or Ringwraith, but a Man, a half-Haradrim, half-Númenórean man like Malik himself. Once, he had agreed to a mocking travesty of parley in neutral territory, during which Elendil had professed to believe that their common Númenórean blood would allow them to understand each other and come to an agreement that would spare the lives of many. Malik had been present, together with Isildur, and he would never forget the look in his friend’s eyes when, all of a sudden, the servant of Sauron had fixed his gaze on him.

“There is nothing in common between you and me, Heir of Andúnië, and there never will be”, he had said, in a deep voice that held an edge of infinite rage and derision. “But here, among your men, I see one I could talk to. He would be welcome to join me, and he would be a great captain in my ranks.”

Malik had paled slightly, but managed to stand his ground despite the surprise, and the weight of many eyes suddenly turned towards him.

“You could not be any more mistaken, my lord. I am a man of Andúnië and a soldier of Númenor, and I will fight your evil master to my very last breath.”

“Is this what they have told you?” the man had laughed. Then, he shook his head, the anger back in his features. “I would like to say that if you ever grew tired of their contempt, you would be welcome here. But as you will be dead soon, I am afraid I must save my breath for worthier causes.”

Malik had not said a word about this incident, not even to Isildur, but it had obviously been weighting on his mind. Unable to bear the thought of anything been left unsaid between them, Isildur had tried to force the issue by asking him one day, taking advantage of he did not remember which mean pretext, if he had grown tired of his contempt. Malik had pretended to laugh it off, but he still had refused to discuss it.

That man is just a fool, an evil fool at that, and he will be dead long before me, he had said, with an air of finality before which Isildur could do little but shrug. Perhaps he was right: for all his malice and attempts to breed dissension, the man had been a fool who knew nothing about Malik. He must have seen the telltale features, and assumed that he was the spawn of some whore from the mainland, as he probably was himself. That Malik could have been born in Númenor would never have occurred to him in his wildest dreams.

Still, the foul mood had not abated then, and it did not show signs of abating now. Sometimes, Isildur had the suspicion that his friend could be thinking of pulling some kind of life-threatening stunt, only to prove Eru-knew-what. They had always been close, and even back in Andúnië it had often been remarked that it was impossible to see one of them without the other, but this had never been so true as it was at present, with Isildur dogging Malik’s steps like a bloodhound.

Tonight, at least, would be the last night he would have to worry, for good or for bad. The next day would be the twelfth since they set from Gadir, and the Prince of the South had ordered them to retreat if he was not there by then, and so far there had been no sign of his coming. Isildur was one of the very few who knew this, but on the second day of the siege -the seventh since their departure from Gadir- his father had let one of the messengers from the host of Mordor circumvent their sentry posts along the river and sail to Arne. This way, the enemy would believe that they were bound to fall into their trap, and they would not rush an attack before their second host appeared. On the other hand, if Pharazôn had failed and Arne was still hostile territory, the time it would take for them to get the message and march on Pelargir would be enough to ensure them a safe retreat. Isildur had never known his father to possess such deviousness, but he had to admit that it was not such a bad ability to have in certain circumstances. Now, if only his blind observance of all the Prince of the South’s whims could also be a devious plot on his part, Isildur would be fully reassured.

“Do you think that the Prince of the South will arrive tomorrow?” Malik asked then, as if he had guessed the direction that his friend’s thoughts was taking. Isildur was only too eager to find him in a talkative mood.

“He was absolutely sure that he would. Even if it is only to avoid such a terrible blow to his princely pride, he should find a way to do it.”

“If he does not, we should attack. They have laughed at us long enough, but if we were to retreat now, how could Mordor respect Númenor ever again? How could the rest of the mainland not mock us? Tribes and kingdoms would revolt from the Middle Havens to the south of Harad!”

Isildur sighed.

“They would respect us even less if we lost two armies in the same year. Not to mention that we would not have the means to defend ourselves from further attacks. That is why they laugh at us, not because we are laughable, but because they are trying to goad us.”

And with you at least, they have succeeded, he thought, but he did not say it aloud. Malik’s temper, however, flared again.

“I can barely recognize you from your words. You speak of defeat and counsel prudence, you, the boy who swam away from the coast of Andúnië to defy the Ban! The man who rode into Haradric territory with only a few companions when the General’s back was turned!” He laughed, but there was no true mirth in his laugh. “What happened to you?”

And now, Malik himself was trying to goad him, Isildur thought. Something at which he had always excelled in the past, if his memory served him right.

“Nothing happened to me” he replied, between clenched teeth. “I do not make the decisions here, but the day we are allowed to charge, I will be in the front line. I want to kill their general myself.”

“No. He is mine.” Malik’s anger seemed to have been successfully redirected towards a worthier target. “And your father will probably want you somewhere more protected, since you are his precious heir, so I will get to him first.”

“Fuck you.”

The expletive was followed by a companionable silence, of those that they used to share back home in Andúnië. Isildur relaxed a little, instinctively turning his glance towards the ramparts and, by extension, towards what lay beyond them.

Mere moments later, or so it seemed to him, Malik jumped to his feet, his hand clenching over the pommel of his blade. At first, Isildur thought that his friend was once again having a fit of restlessness, but then he could hear it as well: the distant echo of turmoil.

“It comes from upriver”, Malik said, heading in that direction.

“Hey, wait!” Isildur called, but his friend had already bolted off. Making sure that his own blade was at the ready, he stood up too, and ran after him.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

An emergency meeting had been called in Elendil’s tent when Isildur entered it. He barely had the time to see many faces turning towards him before he was forced to blink, dazzled by the glow of what seemed like a thousand lamps lighted for the occasion.

“Excuse me, my lords”, he apologized. It had been Malik’s fault that he was there, but now his friend was nowhere to be seen, and he had interrupted an important conversation by the looks of it. Elendil, however, beckoned at him.

“Never mind. Enter.” His mood was solemn, but more in an energetic than in a gloomy way, Isildur gathered, wondering what on Arda could have happened. Outside the tent, he had seen horses, and people running, and the soldiers who were supposed to stand guard during meetings were nowhere to be seen. His eyes swept over the men who were gathered inside, looking for details that could provide a clue, until he saw something that gave him pause. A man he had known in Umbar, whose name he could not recall, was standing in a place of honour, looking like a terrible mess. His hair was dishevelled, wet and clotted in parts, he had not shaved in what seemed like weeks, and there was so much dirt in his skin that it made him look like a barbarian.

“This is an envoy sent by the Prince of the South”, Elendil explained, as if Isildur was expected to be there since the beginning but had been delayed by an unfortunate circumstance. Not knowing very well what to say, he nodded. “His army is stationed not far from here. He wants us to engage in battle tomorrow.”

So he had made it in time, damn him. No wonder the soldiers were led to believe that those filthy sacrifices worked: that man was the luckiest bastard to have ever lived.

The council was prolonged for at least another hour, as they discussed the situation and the tactics proposed by the Prince’s envoy over a large table map. It looked relatively straightforward to Isildur, but there was still endless doubting and squabbling over what seemed like every minor point of the plan. He did his best to remain silent, both because his knowledge of battle strategy was limited, and because he had not forgotten Malik’s words about his father wanting him away from danger, which made him yearn for anonymity more than ever. Not before long, however, this passivity chafed him, and he wanted nothing more than to grab them by the neck and yell that there was no need to talk so much when they already had their orders. Apparently, the envoy thought so, too.

“My lords, this is not a proposal” he shouted over a particularly heated argument questioning the convenience of driving the enemy towards the river so Pharazôn’s troops could destroy them there. “It is an order. If the Prince of the South was here, you could try arguing with him, if you dared, but he is not, and I do not have the time to play messenger between both camps again.”

Months ago, when Isildur first came to Umbar, he had soon learned that the soldiers there were not very respectful of Númenórean nobility. Their lives were spent too far from the Island and its Court, and what little they saw of men of high blood were adventurers who came to win renown and generals appointed by the King, none of which impressed them much, when they were not treated with outright suspicion and hostility for their penchant to get other people killed. Now, this hostility had increased even more after Prince Vorondil’s stunt, so Isildur was not surprised to see it reflected in the man’s tone and words. For the commanders from the Island, however, it was an offense, and if Elendil himself had not intervened, the discussion might have turned into a fight.

“You are right, Eshmounazer. You did us a very valuable service, and no more could possibly be asked of you. You should go and have some rest before tomorrow’s battle. And this goes for all of us.” He fixed all the men around him with that look of quiet power he was so good at. “There is no more to be gained by arguing over woulds or would nots. The board is set, and we are but pieces on it.”

This effectively put an end to the meeting; all that was left to do was for each of the council members to receive individual orders before they filed past Isildur towards the exit. Seizing the opportunity, he made as if to leave, too, in an attempt to take advantage of Elendil’s momentary distraction. As his foot was already on the threshold, however, he heard a voice calling him back.

Damn, he cursed.

“Yes, Father?” he asked, arranging his features in what he believed to be an expression of the purest innocence. Elendil finished saying something to a man who bowed to excuse himself, and their eyes finally met.

“I see that you already know what I am going to say.”

Was he so obvious? Or was Elendil acquiring some of Lord Númendil’s uncanny powers with age?

“Do you know what I am going to reply to that, too?” he retorted. “Or perhaps I can try to convince you, at least?”

Elendil said nothing for a while, turning to stare at the departing men with a thoughtful expression. Isildur braced himself for the worst.

“I won’t force you to do anything. I do not even have valid grounds to do it, since the succession of our house is guaranteed without you. All I will do is relay your mother’s wishes, as I promised her that I would. She loves you more than words can say, and she would be most upset if you fell in battle in a distant world because you decided to value fame and glory more than your life or the happiness of those around you.”

Isildur had opened his mouth when his father was still at the middle of his sentence, but closed it again when the words he wanted to say would not come as easily as he expected them to. The ensuing silence somehow became so long that it felt almost strange to break it.

“Then I will ask you one question, Father. If everybody valued life and happiness more than fame or glory, how could Númenor have won even one battle? How could we rule the mainland?”

Elendil frowned. He looked deeply worried.

“To which I would answer with another question, Isildur. Should we?”

And before he could think of a reply to this, his father walked past him and disappeared behind the curtain.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Though his mood was dark after his conversation with Isildur, Elendil did his best not to allow his worries to cloud his mind on the eve of such a fateful encounter. Debatable as their moral standpoint was, in the general scheme of things, in the here and now there were still men, women and children who depended on the outcome of his efforts. For them, he rode to battle at dawn with the calm assurance of a good general, gave his orders in an unbroken voice, and refused himself the luxury of searching for Isildur among the ranks as they attacked.

I am sorry, Eluzîni, he thought, regretfully. In the end, arguing against the logic of war was like trying to keep the tides from overrunning the beaches of Andúnië; an impossible, pointless endeavour.

As they began their advance, their attack took the enemy by surprise, but not unprepared. After the first moment of chaos, Men closed ranks around their commanders, Orcs charged savagely, and archers began regrouping next to the city walls. Fortunately, there they became the target of the besieged army, and when their arrows flew they were few and easily scattered.

The Orc charge was another matter. It was so fierce, so bloody, that Elendil was glad he had put the Islanders on the rear. The Umbarians yelled their battle cries, and he rode among them, grabbing his sword as if it was a lifeline. The sword which Pharazôn had given him as a wedding gift, he remembered, suddenly realizing how incongruous that instrument of death must have looked in a celebration of life and love. He wondered why he had not noticed it earlier.

Be as it may, and mostly thanks to the ferocious resistance of the Umbar soldiers, the vigour of the charge began to degrease after a while in that side of the field. By the river, a messenger told him that both men and Orcs had progressed almost to the riverbank, finding little resistance. As the Mordor general started an attempt to surround them from there, however, the horns blew, and Pharazôn’s army fell upon them.

Carnage was all that was left after that. The enemy was not simply routed, for the aim was to surround them and massacre them, and this meant a greater amount of casualties in their own ranks as well. There was a point when Elendil thought that he had seen more blood than any man should see in a lifetime. His face and hands were bloody, like the day he stood at the foot of the altar in Gadir, but so was the rest of him, his clothes, even his horse. He had been surrounded by an escort, which had grown thinner and more scattered as they progressed until he was forced to fight with his own hands, watching, as if behind a veil of shock, as an endless succession of men and Orcs fell by his sword.

See, this is how you should hold it. Be sure not you let your grip slacken, and that will happen if you lose your concentration, even for a second. If you are disarmed, you will die.

Those words he had spoken to generations of students seemed to mock him now, from the back of his conscious mind. For what had he known of death, what had they known about it, back in Armenelos? Nothing, for all they invoked it in idle words.

At some point, his horse’s legs gave way, and he had to jump to the ground before it fell atop him. Noticing this, a large group of Orcs approached him. He brandished his sword at them, and for a moment he thought he could see a flicker of doubt in their tiny, monstrous eyes. But the Orc who looked like their leader laughed.

“Tall man will not be so tall when he is lying on the ground.”

Elendil did not waste time answering his challenge; he merely fell into a stance. Behind him, he heard a clatter of armour, and he thought that the Orcs had succeeded in surrounding him. Dismay threatened to overcome him, for it was impossible to defeat them if this was the case.

But it was not Orcs behind him. Instead, a familiar voice reached his ears.

“There will be many lying on the ground today, but none of them will be him, you ugly beasts!”

It was Isildur, and with him came Malik, both unhorsed and covered in battle gore. For a moment, a relief which had nothing to do with his own rescue overwhelmed him. Then, he forced his mind to concentrate in the battle, and the three of them charged. Two Orcs came at him at once, and while he was disentangling his sword from the corpse of one of them, the second advanced on him. He felt a sharp pain explode on the side of his face.

“Die, you treacherous vermin!” Malik yelled, chopping off the Orc’s head with his blade. Elendil reeled back from the pain, but he could not afford the distraction, so he willed himself to keep fighting, even as he felt the blood clouding his sight and trickling down his cheek. At some point, Adûnazer arrived with the men he had managed to regroup, and soon afterwards all the Orcs were dead. It was then, and only then, that Elendil allowed himself to check the injury on his face.

“It’s not deep,” Malik said to Isildur, who had approached him in concern. The gash was quite long, however, starting at the forehead and almost reaching the chin. If the Orc had aimed slightly more to the right, he would have lost his left eye.

“Do not worry about that now. What is the situation?” he asked Adûnazer, who had remained in the background, perhaps on the lookout for more Orcs. The man from Andúnië bowed slightly.

“We have won. The battlefield is under control, and the Prince of the South has reached the wall by now. I have heard that the soldiers who were in the city opened the gates and rode out to join the battle themselves when they saw that he was here.”

“That is good to hear. Let us close ranks for safety and go find him. I am sure there won’t be many Orcs left in his vicinity.”

Isildur smiled wryly.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

When Elendil came upon Pharazôn, the Prince of the South had been basking in the adoration of his soldiers for quite some time. Perhaps this was why his skin was flushed, and his eyes shone brighter than Elendil had ever seen them, or perhaps it was the residual excitement of the battle itself what made him come so alive, even as it made Elendil feel deader inside. As soon as he saw him, the Prince disentangled himself from all the others and rushed to engulf him in an embrace, which added even more gore to his already soaked armour and cloak.

“Congratulations for the victory, my lord prince”, he spoke, in a loud voice that carried over the soldiers who surrounded them. “You have succeeded in freeing Pelargir.”

We have succeeded in freeing Pelargir”, Pharazôn corrected. “You did very well in your first war, as I always knew you would. See, I was right to believe in you, wasn’t I? But, what is this? This blood is not enemy blood!”

“No, my lord, it is mine.” Elendil lowered his face as Pharazôn grabbed his chin to inspect the wound. “An unfortunate accident, and yet the blade did not hit its mark.”

“I see. Well, for an Orc I suppose it is difficult to aim that high.” Some of the men laughed. “Behold, everyone! The sword of kings has fought at our side today!” He pointed at Elendil’s sword, which was almost incongruously bright in the middle of all this butchery, as if it was able to repel the blood that had stained it so many times. “Small wonder that we won so easily!”

Easily? For a moment, he wondered if the Prince was mocking him.

“I only followed your orders.” He could feel Isildur’s eyes on him, filled with all the disapproval he could muster for what he no doubt considered his father’s excessive humility. It did not matter what he thought, Elendil realized, as if slowly waking from a dream. He was alive, and that was all that mattered.

“Be as it may, come with me. We must prepare our triumphal entrance in the city. But I must warn you. “Pharazôn’s brow creased in a frown, giving him a more serious air. “Victory preparations have been known to be a greater cause for strife and dissension than war preparations. I only hope a new war will not arise from them.”

Elendil shook his head.

“I am sure it will not come to that”, he said, even as the arm which the Prince had slung over his shoulder tightened its grip and steered him towards an unknown location.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It almost did come to that. For the remainder of the evening, even as wine flowed freely through their camp, and the victorious survivors remembered their fallen comrades and rediscovered the joys of living that they had been so quick to forsake, a matter of contention arose among the leadership. It had nothing to do with protocol or pre-eminence, but rather, once again, with the accursed issue of religion.

“I believe it would be very unadvisable to sacrifice to Melkor within the walls of Pelargir”, Elendil objected. “Its citizens are faithful to the teachings of the Valar.”

He had avoided using the word “Faithful” as an absolute term, in an attempt to be diplomatic. As he was beginning to learn, however, such efforts were grievously misplaced when facing war commanders who had been killing enemies on a battlefield mere hours ago.

“Do not speak His name with such disrespect! He just blessed us with victory!”

The man who had spoken was one of Pharazôn’s men, of those who had conquered Arne with him. Elendil did not know his name, but he seemed to have filled the post left by Barekbal, who was counted among the fallen.

“And your affirmation is untrue, too. Many of your people live in Pelargir, but they are not the entirety of the population. There are also Gadirites, and veterans from Umbar who settled there after they retired. “Pharazôn intervened. Elendil did not like the emphasis that he put on the words ‘your people’, but he was the one who had picked this battle. “We will celebrate the sacrifice for those who wish to participate. Those who do not wish to do so are welcome to hold their own celebrations, but I am sure you will agree that you cannot prevent us from performing our rites.”

“Melkor lies in the Void, and your sacrifices are nothing but evil superstitions!” So much for diplomacy, Elendil thought, rushing to interpose himself between what looked like a horde of scandalized warriors at the brink of drawing swords and the man who had spoken, a middle-aged commander by the name of Melek who had been with his father in the Arnian expedition.

“What were you thinking?” he hissed. “Leave, now, before they kill you!”

Reluctantly, Melek stormed out of the tent, and Elendil allowed himself to relax a little, though he had become the new target of all the looks of hostility. Pharazôn, meanwhile, was watching the scene as if it was a piece of theatre performed for his amusement.

“Melkor lies in the Void”, he said, repeating the man’s bold words with a touch of sarcasm. “The Baalim are in their Blessed Land, and do not hear the prayers of men. Eru is beyond the Circles of the World. And I say then, why don’t you worship me?”

“I beg your pardon, my lord?” Elendil frowned, while the murmurations around him rose again in intensity. Pharazôn shrugged, as if his point was obvious enough and he was just explaining it for the benefit of the slow of mind.

“If no god saved Pelargir, then I did. You did. All of you sitting here did. If they refuse to recognize the hand of the Lord of Battles in their deliverance, nor do they invoke other gods, then they should worship me, and you with me, because we owe our success to no one.”

“That is blasphemy!” a voice rose about the din. Elendil sought to identify its owner, trying to calculate if they would try to attack him next, and whether he would be able to prevent it in time.

“Yes, it is. Your blasphemy. I am not the one who refuses to see the hand of the god in my victory, you are. As Ar Gimilzôr used to say, you are godless.”

“That is enough.” Elendil was surprised at the intensity of his own voice. It even gave Pharazôn some pause, as he stood again to look at him. “There is no reason to spoil our victory by fighting among ourselves. As you said, my lord prince, no one can prevent you from doing as you please, but you cannot force those who still lay their trust in the Valar to be present. We will hold our own ceremonies, and you will be the guest of honour if you wish to attend, of course, but forgive us if we do not worship you.”

For a moment, he felt that the Prince of the South was sizing him up. A part of him could not help but wonder if he would be found wanting, and what could happen if he did.

“What I said before is true for them, but not for you, Lord Elendil”, the Prince spoke at last. “They are free to do as they wish, but you were a general in this campaign, and so you must attend the sacrifice.”

Elendil had the answer already prepared since that afternoon, when the battle was over. Back then, he had not imagined that it would be spoken in such a hostile context, but it could not be helped.

“I apologize, my lord prince, but I was wounded across the face. This is an impurity according to the scrolls of the Four Great Temples, and precludes me from participating in a religious ceremony.” The remaining, scattered mutterings dwindled into a tense silence. Everybody’s eyes came to rest on Pharazôn, whose look betrayed no emotion at all.

Suddenly, he let go of a long breath, and laughed.

“Now, that was unexpected! You are learning even faster than I gave you credit for! I believe you will be well suited for your new appointment.”

The expressions of those who surrounded them seemed equally divided between relief and anger, but both extremities seemed to agree about one thing, at least: the tension had successfully been defused. Little by little their stance grew more distended, and voices rose again, first as a vague background noise, then gradually turning into whispered conversations. 

Elendil alone did not move.

“What new appointment, my lord prince?”

The Prince of the South smiled at him. It was a warm smile, of those he had always given Elendil since he was a young man, as if he wanted him to believe that their confrontation of moments ago had been nothing but a figment of his imagination. Instead of being reassured, however, Elendil felt his uneasiness grow.

“I have decided to make you the governor of Arne.”

The heir of Andúnië’s stomach plummeted. As he stood there, he could hear nothing but a buzz in his ears, which he realized belatedly was the sound of blood rushing to his head. He felt disoriented, as he had not been on the battlefield, not even when the Orc’s spear had struck him on the face.

“What do you say? It is a great honour. As there are no kings left in that wretched dynasty, you will rule from their palace, and the whole Bay will pay tribute to you.”

“It… it is a great honour, my lord” he managed to say, he did not know how. The prying eyes of all those men felt like as many bright torches waved before his face, and for a moment he wanted nothing more than to cower away from them. But he could not. “If you will excuse me.”

Only after he stepped outside the tent, he allowed himself to walk fast, faster than the people who waited for him outside, faster than Adûnazer, Melek, and even Isildur, who called after him in vain.

 

Point of No Return

Read Point of No Return

He was standing on a deserted plain, whose end his eyes could not see. Anxious, he turned left and right, searching for a sign of company, a shadow, a voice, perhaps a movement, but no matter how hard he looked there was none for him to find. His feet trudged on a meandering path past the heaps of dead fish, all of which wore a strangely familiar expression, with mouths agape and small, glazed eyes.

Above his head, the sky had turned pitch black, hidden by a mass of impenetrable stormclouds. A thunderclap shook it, then a second, and a third. As the flashes of lightning reverberated off the eyes of the fish strewn at his feet, he had the mad impression that they were alive, looking at him. He tried to cover his face with shaking hands.

“Eru Almighty, who art in Heaven, deliver us from evil”, he prayed. Another thunderclap, however, longer and mightier than the others, drowned the sound of his words. In its wake, he could hear an unmistakeable roaring noise growing behind his back. He did not need to turn and look at it, for he already knew what it was.

Suddenly, a soft hand grabbed his. It was cold, like the hand of a corpse, bringing him memories of the woman who lay on a bed with a broken spirit, the day a young Inziladûn had returned from his trip to Andúnië. But the eyes which became fixed on his were black, not grey, and they were alive.

“Look” she said. When he did, the sight filled him with horror. The White Tree was lying at their feet, its graceful branches hewn away from its trunk, its silver leaves dead and as faded as the dead fish’s eyes.

“What have you done?” he tried to ask, fighting the horror which paralyzed his throat. The roar was drawing closer and closer; they did not have much time until they were swept away.

She smiled, but it was not a triumphant smile. For a moment, she even seemed sad, and he realized that she had never truly looked like the Princess Inzilbêth until now.

“I had to do it, Father”, she said, in answer to his unvoiced question. “I had to.”

The waters fell.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Tar Palantir left the stone path of the courtyard and walked a few steps across the garden, indifferent to the dirt gathering in the soles of his shoes. As he stopped before it, he stretched his right hand almost gingerly, as if the ancient wood could burn his fingers, or perhaps dissolve under his touch. But the white bark was as cool as ever, and the feel of its familiar roughness brought a tenuous comfort to his tortured thoughts.

When he turned back, they were all waiting for him respectfully, in almost religious silence. Their eyes, however, told a different story. The courtiers were wondering if he had finally succumbed to the madness of his grandfather, the late Ar Sakalthôr, or if this was merely one step further in his usual eccentricities, now aggravated by old age. Eärnissë had heard the gossip about his violent nightmare the previous night, and she knew him well enough as to guess much of the nature of its relationship with the political situation at hand. Though it had been long since she had last wasted a tender word on him, she was unable to hide a grudging concern. Lord Iqbal, the late Prince Vorondil’s second cousin, was, on his part, anxiously wondering if the matter of his succession to the lordship of the Hyarnustar would ever be solved, if the King persisted in his erratic behaviour. In silence, he had just muttered a prayer to the Valar that he would not die on them before the appointment was achieved. The judgement of Eshmounazer, Pharazôn’s envoy, was the harshest of all: it was the first time that he saw the King of Númenor in the flesh, and he was not impressed by what he was seeing. The Prince of the South would make a much better King, he thought, with a raw sincerity that chilled Palantir to the marrow.

But, of all this people, it was Lord Amandil’s thoughts what intrigued him the most. Palantir knew that he must have seen the same things that had tormented him last night, also triggered by the Prince of the South’s triumphal arrival to the Island. As King, he was aware that he could not afford to turn his back on this crisis, and though the futility of it had all but destroyed his determination, he still needed to find a way to fan the last embers of his pride. And yet, all he really, truly yearned to do now was to dismiss everyone, and have a private conversation with the Lord of Andúnië.

Whom did he see, standing by his side when the world ended? Was it just her, in everyone’s dreams? Was she the true harbinger of death, and not the priests of Melkor, the Merchant Princes, Gimilkhâd or Pharazôn? Did she hate him so much that she would destroy all that he had loved to have her revenge, including the Island where they lived, and even herself?

And why, oh, why was this strange sadness in her eyes?

“The holy tree is in excellent health, my lord King. I see to it often in person, and I can safely claim that there is nothing to worry about”, the Overseer of the Palace Gardens intervened, in a voice which was a little too reassuring to his taste. When had his own Court started treating him as if he was an old man in his dotage?

Suddenly, Palantir felt the stirrings of anger in his chest.

“Every day and every night you should be watching over it, and hold it dearer than the lives of your kin, your wife, or your children. For the fate of this Island, its royal line, and all the people who live here is bound to it, and if it ever perishes, not even He who sits in the High Heaven will save us.”

The courtier paled, and did not answer, studiously fixing his glance on the floor at his feet. Small comfort as it was to him now, Palantir noticed that his reputation as a seer still had some hold over superstitious souls, who believed his visions to be some kind of divine inspiration. For a moment, even Eshmounazer, the battle-hardened soldier, seemed to accord him the respect given to worthy foes.

If he could still have mustered the energy for it, he would have seized the opportunity, in a last-ditch attempt to turn the whole situation to his advantage.

“My answer is yes.”

There was some confusion among the present, until it became clear that his gaze was fixed on the soldier, who hurried to lower his head in a bow. It was an awkward move, so different from the graceful courtesy of the men and women who had been raised in the Palace that some of them could not suppress a titter.

Eshmounazer did not even seem to notice.

“Yes… to what, my lord King?”

“To everything.” Palantir stretched his arms open, as if to embrace the invisible shape of a large pile of outrages. “The Saviour of Númenor, Victor of Mordor and Avenger of Prince Vorondil can enter Armenelos in triumph, with the soldiers, the prisoners, the preserved corpses of his dead enemies, and all the other things that he brought here without our knowledge and against our will. He will be received in the Palace and accorded the honour that he deserves for his great exploits.” Even without being able to see his face, he knew that the soldier was amazed at this open acknowledgement of his weakness. Not even the courtiers, with all their years of practice, were able to hide their displeasure at his words.

He did not care.

“Now, you are dismissed. All of you”, he specified. From the corner of his eye, he could see Eärnissë’s eyebrow rise. “Except for Amandil.”

In the wake of the long, multicoloured serpent of long-robed courtiers that slowly filed out of the First Courtyard through the stone archway, the lord of Andúnië’s presence seemed almost too subdued. He stood alone in the middle of the pathway, but not in the attitude of a courtier waiting to be addressed, but rather as a man too lost in his own musings to pay attention to what happened around him. This, more than everything, told Palantir that his suppositions had been correct.

“What did I do wrong?” he asked.

Such a blunt question effectively brought Amandil back from his own turmoil.

“Nothing, my lord King. The Prince of the South may have achieved a great victory, but he overstepped his boundaries when he made decisions that were not within his power to make.”

Including the appointment of Amandil’s own son as governor of Arne, Palantir thought. His nephew’s insolent letter had claimed that Elendil showed so much promise both in combat and diplomacy that he could not think of a better man for this delicate role, but the King could not help but wonder what his real motives for that particular decision had been. Was Elendil an obstacle for his plans, did he honestly wish to keep him away from some danger? Was he his ally in Middle-Earth, or his enemy? Palantir had always been fond of Elendil, even if he had failed to win Míriel’s affections, but he could not forget that Amandil’s son had gone to Middle-Earth with Pharazôn willingly - or that, deep inside his heart, he had always been his own man.

All he could be sure of in this whole affair, in fact, was that Amandil himself was as unhappy with the decision as he was.

“And yet, there are things I could have done differently in the past. Even now, I remain the King of Númenor, and many believe that I should send him back to the mainland, with all his soldiers and his ships.”

“Those who say such things are fools. They do not understand the extent of the people’s infatuation with him. As far as they are concerned, he is the saviour of Númenor, and he deserves to be honoured above all mortals. As humiliating as it may be, it is a wise choice to row in favour of the tide at this point, my lord King.” He chuckled, mirthlessly. “He might even claim that he is doing you a favour, forcing you to make the right decision in the eyes of the people of Númenor.”

Oh yes, Amandil of all people would be well acquainted with his ability to appear righteous in spite of everything.

“When was the last time I could have made a true choice, then? When could I have turned the tide, instead of merely struggling not to be swept away by it? Do you have an answer to that, Lord Amandil?”

The lord of Andúnië did not reply, choosing instead to look away, as if distracted by the sound of voices in the distance. Palantir, however, knew that he was fleeing his glance because he did not wish to answer his question. Taken by a sudden burst of energy, he walked towards Amandil and stood in front of him, forcing him to gaze back at his own countenance. The grey eyes before him were darkened by sadness, and there was also a flicker of something that he could not quite pinpoint, something close to the cautious look of a courtier who measured his words to avoid offence, minus the servility.

“My son wrote me a letter from Pelargir”, he spoke, after a while. “He was quite shaken by his experiences there, or so it seemed to me. He mentioned coming to a sort of… realization, that there could be no true return to the old ways as long as we held to our interests and possessions in the mainland. According to him, this obsession with obtaining the favour of the gods and offering them sacrifices did not merely come from the mainland, it grew necessary because of it. The soldiers and the colonists need to believe in something which can save them from immediate and ever-present danger. I have been thinking about this, and it reminded me of the warning dreams I used to have, back when…” His voice faltered, but Palantir could finish the sentence himself.

“Back when I rebuilt Pelargir”, he nodded. “And ignored your misgivings about that enterprise.”

“It is not your fault, my lord King.” Amandil seemed to perceive the weakness within him, and reacted strongly to it. “Gadir, Umbar, the Middle Havens, Arne, they all existed long before you were born, and not even the King could have ordered all the colonists to leave their homes and withdraw beyond the Sea without imperilling Númenor itself, and causing strife and suffering beyond our worst imaginings. All that you tried to accomplish by your own actions was to turn Middle-Earth into a more just and righteous place, where the Númenóreans could live in peace with other peoples without the need for violence.”

Palantir shook his head.

“And many people died for it.”

“Their deaths would not have been in vain if such a thing could have been achieved. Not even mine, had I perished in the ruins of Pelargir. What reason could there be to sacrifice oneself for, if not peace?”

“Do not speak to me of sacrifice!” Palantir hissed, his anger back in full force. This pity, as humiliating as it was undeserved, was exasperating him. “An enterprise which begins with the sacrifice of lives will call for more and more sacrifice, until it ends in sacrifice! Alas, for I was blind and did not see it. People call me far-sighted, but I am blind, and I always was!”

Amandil sighed.

“If blindness is refusing to see that Men cannot be saved, then it is the noblest of all flaws, my lord King.”

“You do not understand. I was not allowed to have flaws, noble or otherwise. I was not allowed to have good intentions. I was not allowed to try.” His hands were beginning to shake. “I could not fail, and yet I have failed Númenor.”

But Amandil did not back down even now, or fall silent. Instead, he stood before him, rising to his full height and looking more argumentative than ever.

“Even if that is so, would the failure of one man, as high and mighty as he may be, doom us all? Would Eru permit such a thing? Forgive me, my lord King, but I do not think so. If doomed we are, it is by the failure not of one but of many, across the greatest expanses of space and time. And, who knows? Perhaps the success of others could save us yet, as long as we are still alive and breathing.”

Despite having known him for so many years, Palantir had to admit he was impressed at his younger kinsman’s eloquence. He was even tempted to surrender to the comfort of his words, to give himself to the illusion of being one among many, no more or less responsible for the fate of Númenor than they were. But deep inside his heart, he knew that this was a fallacy, perhaps one that Amandil wished to believe as much as he did.

“I am very grateful for your words, Lord Amandil”, he spoke formally, his expression once again bolted shut. “We will meet at the victory celebrations tomorrow.”

Amandil bit his lip, and bowed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The entrance of the Golden Prince in the city of Armenelos made all the triumphs of his youth, carefully staged by his grandfather Ar Gimilzôr, pale by comparison in the memories of those who had been present, like a flicker of candlelight eclipsed by a mighty blaze. People of all ages and stations filled the streets in the hopes of catching a glimpse of him and his soldiers, who could hardly walk through the large crowds. Though hardened by many battles, many of them had never set a foot in the city, and none had ever been part of a similar spectacle, so the stoicism of their composure gave way to many different emotions, which ranged between wide-eyed wonder and a touch of anxiety.

As for the prisoners, they, too, were a new spectacle for the younger generations, who had not been alive during the reign of Ar Gimilzôr. Even those who were old enough to remember did not recall seeing Orcs, for none of them had ever been taken beyond the Great Sea. Curiosity gave way to shock, shock to horror, and horror, in turn, became fascination as the men, women and children of Númenor saw the black, ugly creatures staring defiantly at them, their small, bloodshot eyes filled with malice and hatred. This evil race, the offspring of the dreaded Second Creation according to the scrolls of the Four Great Temples, had killed countless Númenóreans, and tortured Prince Vorondil until he died. Even the nobles and the courtiers who had been against the idea of this celebration shed their dignity to push each other in an attempt to have a better view from the high terrace, and a group of ladies in green and yellow robes leaned so much over the railing that one of them was about to fall.

Eärnissë snorted.

“Perhaps it would not be such a bad idea to feed one of them to the Orcs. This select audience might even appreciate it”, she said to Palantir, who was the only one who was close enough to hear her voice over this ruckus. Close to them, though at a distance, Míriel was standing perfectly still. Her features were covered by a thick, black veil, which also flowed down her shoulders and hid most of her body, from the silver crown on top of her head to the balls of her feet. All that could be seen of her was her hands, small and white, the back of one of them criss-crossed by the faint shape of a blue vein. This impressive look had awed the Court into silence when she appeared by his side, and the common people below had been bitterly reminded of what the cost of the war had been for Númenor. Palantir, however, had understood this attire as one more of her attempts to destabilize his power. Such a public display of widowhood and helplessness seemed designed to cast an even longer shadow upon his decree of succession.

“There he is.” Though he had been trained to keep an unshakeable composure in the most difficult and trying situations, he could not prevent his breath from catching in his throat as Pharazôn, wearing his purple cloak and golden armour, climbed the stairs towards them. As if caught in a bad dream, he remembered a similar scene, many years ago, when another old King proudly welcomed the victorious general under the adoring eyes of his Court and the people of Armenelos. Back then, he had stood at the side, and swore wordlessly to himself that he would put an end to those ghastly displays as soon as he held the Sceptre in his own hands. That he would change Númenor.

If blindness is refusing to see that Men cannot be saved, then it is the noblest of all flaws.

“My lord King.” Pharazôn bowed, and for a moment all the shouts, the conversations, and the songs dissolved into an unnatural silence. Feeling that the eyes of all were on him, Palantir stretched his hand towards him.

“Be welcome to Armenelos, my dear nephew”, he said, in a frozen voice. Pharazôn raised his eyes at this to give him his usual, insolent smile full of confidence, or so he thought at first. Something in it, however, gave him pause, though he could not lay his finger on the exact reason of his disquiet.

Then, the younger man’s gaze wandered from him towards Míriel, who had quietly covered the distance that separated her from them to stand side by side with him.

“My dear cousin, you have destroyed my enemies and avenged me.” Her voice seemed as strange and misplaced as his smile, and belatedly, Palantir realized that he could not remember a time when it had not been filled with hostility, either overt or hidden. “After the Prince died, I thought I would never feel safe again, but you proved me wrong with your strength and your bravery. From the depths of my heart, I am grateful to you.”

Palantir could hear murmurations around them. From his side, Eärnissë was staring at her daughter as if she could not believe what she was seeing.

Pharazôn’s smile widened, and he knelt before her. His glance trailed over her veil, in a way that suddenly made it clear that he was so well acquainted with the features that lay under it that he did not even need to lift it to measure the exact curve of her lips as she smiled back at him, or the level of intensity with which her eyes met his.

“For the Princess of the West, I would not hesitate to risk my life as many times as it was necessary.”

As if from a very great distance, Palantir could hear the murmurations rise in intensity, then turn into a scattered round of clapping, which finally grew into a thrilled round of applause. Far below them, the people of Armenelos could not hear what was being said, but they cheered too at the scene that was being played before their eyes.

“Rise, Pharazôn”, Palantir hissed. The Prince of the South obeyed, but the smile did not leave his lips, and suddenly the King was tempted to surrender to the beastly impulse of punching it away from him. “The Court will not attend these ghastly displays of blood and violence which you seem so determined to bring to Armenelos. Let us go inside, and thank Eru for your success in war.”

“As you wish, my lord King”, Pharazôn nodded cheerfully, falling back after them after a last, warm glance at Míriel.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

That night, nobody slept in Armenelos. Out in the square before the gates of the Palace, bloody executions were sinisterly mingled with joyful celebrations, with wine, love and death competing to bring the deepest thrills to the agitated souls of the mindless rabble. Inside the walls of the royal residence, meanwhile, the Court also ate and drank immoderately, and laughed and danced with an exuberance that Palantir suspected was nothing but an attempt to compensate for the cruel pleasures that ceremony and good taste had denied them. Once upon a time, he would have worried at this, despaired perhaps at the degeneration of Númenor society, raged at himself for allowing Pharazôn to impose his will in something as important as this, but not today.

Today, he had finally understood the meaning of blindness.

“Follow me” he told Pharazôn, after the charade of partaking in an amiable banquet had lasted long enough. As they stood from their seats, everyone stopped what they were doing to rise and bow. Again, all eyes were set on them, but he could not detect any hints of scandal brewing in any of their countenances, so he assumed that they believed the King and the general to be off to hold some private discussion about the campaign. Only Eärnissë glared daggers at him. Since a while ago, she had been barely keeping herself from leaving her seat and heading for her daughter’s chambers, but now she had to stay in charge of the feast, and she would miss everything that happened between them. Palantir wondered if he would be able to rein his temper enough as to pay heed to what she would have wanted him to do.

Then, Pharazôn smiled again, and all those musings ground to an abrupt halt.

“You”, he hissed. “What did you do to my daughter?”

“I love her.” The younger man seemed to have dispensed with all the trappings of Court artifice. “And she loves me.”

Not even the evidence he had seen had prepared him for the shock of hearing it spoken plainly. He felt blood thrumming in his ears, and tried to suppress the haunting memories of the woman who grabbed his hand in his vision.

I had to do it, Father.

“Since when?”

“Since we were old enough to know the meaning of love” he replied, once again using the same bluntness. Palantir could try to gaze into his eyes all he wanted: he could see that he was speaking the truth, a truth almost too horrible, too sinister to accept. For the implications of it were like the tiny ivory pieces in that board game for children, which brought down other, nearby pieces in their fall until the tallest towers were toppled.

Míriel loved his cousin, against the Laws and Customs of the Valar. Since this love was a sin, they had kept it hidden from everyone, including Palantir and his famed keen eyes, which had been nothing but a joke to them. She had never loved Elendil, and neither had she loved Vorondil, whom she had married merely to keep the true object of her affections free from suspicion. Until the day she had goaded the unfortunate fool into leading the expedition to Middle-Earth, and he had conveniently died there, something which perhaps she had been able to foresee. Then, she had been free at last, and their façade had finally slipped after so many years of secrecy, because….

Because they think I will die soon, he realized. And then, they plan to marry, and he will be King, and all I had been fighting for will be obliterated in one sweep.

“The Former King knew about it. He was going to marry us before he died”, Pharazôn continued - and he realized that this, too, was true.

Father, oh, Father, how far were you willing to go in order to defeat me?

“What you have done is a great sin”, he hissed, slowly recovering his composure as he grew aware of the great danger he was facing. Compared to this, even his bitter realizations of that morning, when he spoke to Amandil in the First Courtyard, had left room for hope. “A great sin in the eyes of the one true god, and all your false ones as well. And it is also high treason.”

“I know.” Pharazôn was no longer smiling, but he did not look afraid. “That is why I refused to give in to my feelings for a long time, my lord King. But in the end, I had to capitulate and see the hand of fate in all this. It was the gods themselves who were guiding me on my path, and I am but their humble instrument.”

“You stand before me, and yet I hear the words of your mother.” The blood rushing to his ears had grown so loud that he was not even able to hear himself anymore. “Perhaps it is fitting, is it not? It is not only the late King who strikes at me from beyond his grave, but also Magon and the Merchant Princes of Gadir. Through you, their venomous sting has endured, well-hidden until you believed me foolish enough to drop my guard.”

Pharazôn shook his head.

“I do not believe you a fool, my lord King.”

“Then how could you think, even for a moment, that I would tolerate this?” he exploded at last. “How could you think that I would let you live?”

Anyone else would have been cowering by this point. The Prince of the South, however, seemed determined to prove that his outrageous confidence was not just a pose that he adopted for the benefit of others. His eyes were alert with a familiar expression that Palantir had seen there before, one which told him that he was thinking furiously, measuring dangers and calculating odds.

“Do you remember the ring you once gave my father, my lord King? It was a very long time ago, before I was even born, but I have heard that your memory is quite impressive. My father told me that it came with an oath, and he made me learn it by heart. If you should come one day and give this back to me, anything you may ask from me shall be yours. So I swear by all gods, Númenorean or foreign, evil or good, true or false.”

The ring of Andúnië. Shocked, Palantir sought his memories for the feel of the sea breeze on his face, that starry night in the house of Andúnië, when, still giddy with the feeling of power for having mastered the Seeing Stone, he had found himself confronted by his brother. Gimilkhâd had uncovered evidence of their host -and his- treason against the Sceptre, but instead of going directly to their father, he had chosen to extort him.

For years, he remembered wondering why Gimilkhâd had never thought of using this advantage, not even back when he was suspected of treason for his association with his brother-in-law. He had concluded that the ring had probably been lost, or that his brother had been air-headed enough to forget about it after a while. Maybe he could even feel embarrassed for having betrayed their father, and haunted by the guilty thought that things may have unfolded in a different way if he had not given in to persuasion at that key moment.

Until now, he had never imagined that the reason why Gimilkhâd had not used the ring was because it had not been his to use anymore.

“Even if you have the ring” he said, forcing himself to recover some semblance of composure”, all you can do with it now is bargain for your life.”

“No.” Pharazôn shook his head. “I do not have the ring, my lord King.”

“What?” Wrongfooted again, Palantir stated at his nephew in disbelief. Was he even now, an inch away from death, playing games with him? Had he travelled so far down the path of bloodlust and ambition that he had gone mad? “What do you mean, you do not have it?”

“I have it.” Míriel had not only left her veil in her quarters: the real veil, the one she had always worn in front of him, had been discarded as well, and for a moment he could glimpse the face he had seen in his visions. “He gave it to me as a pledge of his love.”

“What have you done?” he asked, involuntarily echoing his words in the dream. When before the outrage, the horror, had overwhelmed him, now it was a feeling of deep, ominous unreality what shook him to the core. For a moment, he was so certain that the prophecy was unravelling before his eyes that he almost expected the Wave to rise above their heads and precipitate them into a watery grave. “What have you done, Míriel? You inherited the gift of prophecy which is in our blood. Don’t you know that you are destroying yourself, as well as the rest of our people?”

“No, Father. I do not have the gift of prophecy, as you call it, and I never have.” He opened his mouth, but she was faster. “I have something else.”

“You have…?” Once more, his composure was hanging from the tiniest thread, and it snapped. “Insanity, that is what you have! Insanity, sinful lust, and mindless evil! You are as much of a traitor as he is, but your treason is worse, for you are not only betraying me, but yourself! Your own kingdom, your life, your soul, all of this you would surrender and destroy with one sweep of your hand! And now you bring this ring here and you expect… you expect me to…”

“To listen to me”, she retorted. Gone was her petulance, her antagonism, her raging fits, all the traits of her character that had successfully kept him at bay for years. And still in spite of this, she disgusted him more than ever.

“I will not listen to anything that you have to say!”

Suddenly, Míriel turned from him, and headed towards a window that stood above one of the fountains of the Second Courtyard. At first, Palantir thought that she would once again resort to her childish sulks, but then she took the ring and threw it into the water. The ruby gleamed for an instant under the light of the lamps, before sinking below the black surface forever.

“You will listen to me for once in your life, Father. And then, you may do whatever you wish, but before you do, I will be heard!”

It was a shout, and still, it wasn’t. Before this day, a shouting Míriel had meant an angry Míriel throwing a tantrum, or, even before that, a frightened Míriel screaming at the top of her lungs at a ghost that only she could see. This Míriel, however, was different, and when she raised her voice, for the first time in her life, she sounded like a queen, which gave him pause in spite of himself.

“Very well. I will… listen to what you have to say”, he grudgingly conceded. She gave a curt nod, and then smiled at Pharazôn, who nodded back at her. This further display of intimacy, which seemed to imply that they were able to communicate without the need for words, angered him further, but he could not go back on his word.

Silently, he forced himself to look away from his nephew, and followed his daughter towards the privacy of his own study.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Pharazôn gazed through the window. Down in the courtyard, a courtier and a lady had found a secluded spot by the edge of the fountain, and they were deep in conversation, their faces leaning so close that it did not seem as if it would be long until they did away with words. Further away, he could hear the distant sounds of merrymaking, coming from the corridors near the banqueting hall where the reception was still being held. A lady-in-waiting crossed the open space from one side to the other, following a zigzagging yet methodical path across the fountains, her hands holding what seemed like a coffer made of black wood.

His hands clenched over the latticework, and for the brief span of a moment he finally allowed his anxiety to show. At some point in his life, it had become harder to show his weaknesses than to hide them; even now, though he knew that there was no one watching, it did not come naturally to him. He felt as if something terrible would happen if he betrayed their existence, which was quite ironic, considering that what he had always believed to be the most terrible thing that could happen to him had happened just moments before. No, even worse: he had played a part in allowing it to happen, only because Zimraphel had decided that the time had come.

It was not that he had ever wanted to lie. No matter what the King thought of him, he had not enjoyed hiding, employing subterfuges, or acting traitorously. When -if, a voice corrected from the back of his head- he and Zimraphel were married and the Sceptre was in their power, he would never have to lie again. He would feel clean, righteous and noble, as he used to feel so long ago that by any rights he should have forgotten.

Still, he had to admit that taking his yearning for righteousness to the point of confessing to her father had not entered his mind for one moment. It had been she who had insisted, she who had overruled all his objections and assured him that her way was better. But, if it was Tar Palantir’s fate to die now anyway, as she claimed it was, what need was there to risk their lives unnecessarily, not to mention making the wretched man’s life even more wretched when he was already at the end of it? Did she resent her father so much that she needed to hurt him one more time before he passed away? For the life of him, he would never have believed he would feel sorry for Tar Palantir, especially when the old man was an enemy who threatened his own existence, but this was both cruel and dangerous.

Time passed in agonizing slowness when one was standing still, unable to take action, to deal with danger in the way he was used to. The goings-on at the courtyard did not distract him for long, especially as it grew gradually emptier after the end of the celebration. At some point, unable to wait anymore, he turned to the corridor, intending to return to the South Wing. If the King decided to end his life, he would surely see to it that he was informed of the fact.

When he was already halfway through the corridor, he bumped into the Queen and four ladies who accompanied her.

“My Queen”, he bowed, trying to ignore her glare. She was too dignified to attack him in front of witnesses, but apparently this did not extend to angry words.

“How dare you address me, as if nothing was the matter! What are you doing here, and where is my daughter?”

He would be nothing but exquisitely polite tonight.

“The Princess of the West is in the King’s study. They are having a private conversation and do not wish to be disturbed.”

Queen Eärnissë seemed to need some time to process this information. As she did, however, the belligerency returned with the speed of lightning.

“Then cease disturbing us and begone!” she barked.

Not needing to be told twice, he bowed at her, and continued on his way. In the hall, he crossed the few, scattered remnants of the feast, tipsy women who tried to throw themselves at him, and obsequious men eager as ever to curry his favour. He wondered how many of those would still wish to be acquainted with him if he should be declared a traitor in the morning.

That night, his sleep was scarce, fitful, and full of nightmares.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He was awoken at dawn by a distraught Zimraphel. To his shock, she entered his rooms alone, and her cheeks were streaked with tears. For a moment, he thought that she had failed in persuading his father, and that they were both doomed. But if that had been the case, she would probably not be allowed to roam free around the Palace, much less here.

His speculation was cut short as soon as she opened her mouth.

“He is dead. I left him tonight, after we talked, and called his secretary in. I r-returned to the West Wing, but soon after the secretary himself came looking for me, and told me that he had s-stopped breathing.”

“What?” At first, he could not make sense of all this gibberish. “The King is dead? But… how?” Something horrible occurred to him. “Did you…?”

He let his voice trail away at the sight of her eyes.

“He did not die by my hand. He was alive when I left him, and I have witnesses to prove it.” To his shock, more tears fell down her cheeks. “He l-let himself die.”

Let himself die. The freakish gift of the line of Andúnië, again. Pharazôn made the gesture of the Hand, to ward himself from evil.

“So, what is the situation now?” he said, trying to hide his uneasiness by taking the initiative at last. Zimraphel wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

“The secretary is the only one who knows about it, and he will keep quiet if he knows what is good for him. We have told the people at Court that he is ill, and we will uphold this version until we are sure of our next move. I… I will tell Mother myself now. I will convince her that it is not a good idea to let the rumour that he willingly laid down his life spread across the Island.”

“I hope you can also convince her that you and I had nothing to do with this.”

“That does not matter.” She shook her head, as if discarding a ludicrous thought. “She never loved him, but she has always loved me. I will always win that battle.”

“Fine.” Standing up from the bed, he wrapped himself in a nightrobe and began searching for his clothes. He did not even know where those damn courtiers kept all the things, but she had probably thrown everyone out when she came in, as a precaution. “How long do we have until the Council learns about what happened tonight, then?”

Zimraphel sat down at the bed. Though her tears were no longer visible, she looked strangely pale, if no less determined.

“One day. Two, at the most.”

He gazed into her eyes, willing himself to recover his aplomb. Deep inside he had to admit, however, that in none of his battles or campaigns he had ever been in greater danger than he was now, here, at the very palace where he had been born.

Nor had the stakes ever been higher.

“Very well. That is more than enough time to get married, and for my soldiers to discard their hangover.”

After that, there would only be four great Council families with the ability to call their own troops, the Palace Guard, and the Armenelos Guard to convince of the legitimacy of their marriage -and of the succession.

She smiled, a tenuous smile that felt like the crack of dawn after a long and cold night.

“You trusted me. Now, I will trust you.”

 


Chapter End Notes

The conversation between Tar Palantir and Zimraphel is important, and the only reason why I omitted it here is that it will be dealt with later. If I get to that part...

The Choice

Read The Choice

The members of the Council of Númenor entered the chamber in small groups, whispering among themselves with a furious intensity that somehow lay heavier in this charged atmosphere than open talk. An unscheduled, emergency session was never an idle occurrence, and the most oblivious among them would already be aware that something ominous must have happened, but he was certain that the suspicions of at least some of them had gone farther down the road of informed speculation. This was proved by their muted reaction when they saw the Queen and the Princess of the West standing in the place where Tar Palantir used to be, the mother having now joined the daughter in wearing the dark robes of mourning.

Nobody sat down.

“Lords of the Council”, Eärnissë spoke. Her voice was not loud enough to carry across the room, in spite of the charged silence, but as soon as she realized this, she put more strength into it. “Lords of the Council, it is my sad duty to inform you that our King Palantir, Protector of Númenor and the colonies and Favourite of the Powers, passed away last night in his bed, at the age of two hundred and twenty.”

“Hail the King!” someone shouted, though nobody else dared join him in the controversial chant. For a moment, only silence greeted this news, and to Pharazôn, it definitely seemed as if Tar Palantir’s reforms and eccentricities had left everyone in confusion as to how to proceed.

Where is he, now? Where will he go, and who will welcome him there? Has he been taken by the Gift of Men, or the curse of mortals? Do we celebrate, or do we mourn? He imagined that this, and many other such thoughts could be crossing their minds at vertiginous speed, as they stole looks at their closest peers to spy upon their countenances. Though this lack of unified reaction might be only temporary, he might be able to turn it to his advantage as soon as it descended to the level of more concrete matters.

“May he rest in the halls of the Almighty Creator, until He is deemed worthy to pass beyond the Circles of the World and receive life eternal for his good deeds”, Amandil hastened to take the lead. The agreement at his words was unanimous, perhaps a little too tinged with relief, though Pharazôn failed to register this. For something else had attracted his attention as he turned his gaze towards where his friend stood, and saw the man sitting by his side. Lord Hiram’s young son Valacar had taken the place of the Northern lord in the Council today; his father was nowhere to be seen.

They had known. Somehow, they had known.

For an entire day, the news of Tar Palantir’s death had been kept secret, and none of the courtiers who lived in the Palace had been allowed to set foot outside it. Still, in the aftermath of their secret wedding, Pharazôn and Zimraphel had needed to bargain with an important number of people. First, of course, there had been the Queen herself, though to this point he remained largely ignorant of the exact terms that the Princess of the West had discussed with her mother. The duty of winning over the Palace Guard to their cause, on the other hand, had fallen to him, and it had not been an easy task. They had remained sympathetic to his cause since Ar Gimilzôr died, but they were also afraid of being perceived as traitors. Though the talks had been restricted to the upper levels, it was entirely possible that one of their leaders had betrayed them.

Not for the first time, Pharazôn wished that he could have risked bringing more soldiers to the Island.

“Lords of the Council, I see your grief, and I wish to thank you for it, as well as for your strong loyalty and support.” Zimraphel did not show signs of hesitation, either in her voice or in her countenance. She had never spoken in public before, excepting that sham of a succession ceremony where she had been forced to memorize those words in the Elven tongue, and he could see in the eyes of the councilmen that they were impressed. And this without any of them even being aware of the things she saw whenever she was made to stand before a crowd. “Four centuries ago, after the War of Alissha, Ar Adunakhôr the Great abolished a woman’s right to hold the Sceptre. My father, however, appointed me Princess of the West and made me his heir, changing the earlier succession in my favour. Recently, the Prince Vorondil, whose memory still makes each and every one of our hearts shake in grief, fell to the shadows in Middle Earth, and I was left alone and bereaved of my beloved husband, with no heirs to mitigate my loss. You are all well aware of these events, and if I am repeating them now, it is because I need to impress upon you the magnitude of my plight. A plight which my father, with the wisdom he was given through his holy prophecies, was able to recognize and remedy in his deathbed. “Only someone who had been forced since childhood to train herself into affecting normalcy while the world around her was routinely shattered into a thousand shards could have kept her composure in a moment like this. “That is why his last decision was to join me in marriage to the Prince of the South, so we may rule Númenor together and put an end to the strife and division which have shaken and weakened our family. Now, I would ask of you…”

But what Zimraphel would ask of the Númenórean Council was buried under the largest commotion ever heard in that venerable chamber. As soon as her words sunk in, not only the councilmen themselves, but also their attendants and even the interpreters began speaking at the same time, and the words she was going to utter died in her lips.

“That is incest!” the Palace Priest cried. “The Princess of the West and the Prince of the South are first cousins!”

“It is a lie! The King would never have agreed to something like this!”

“Traitor!” someone yelled at him, as he hastened to Zimraphel’s side to shield her from the open fury spreading like fire around them. Her dark eyes were fixed on his for a moment, and he could detect the familiar mask of disdain for common mortals that she affected whenever she was ill at ease. Her hand grabbed his with more strength that necessary.

Queen Eärnissë glared at him, leaving him in no doubt as to who she would blame for all that happened afterwards.

“How dare you call your Queen and your Princess of the West liars?” His voice rose above the din, with the same power he had gathered countless times when addressing vast armies in the mainland. “You may call me a liar if you wish, for only too well I know of the reputation I have among some of you, but if you believe for an instant that they could be in league with someone of evil intent, then your very thoughts are treasonous!”

“How dare we? How dare you!” Valacar replied. “Have you no fear, not of the Valar, but even of your own false gods, who have forbidden Men from marrying their own close kin?”

Pharazôn had always expected the landholders to be opposed, and his main line of strategy consisted on preventing them from reacting quickly and decisively, and above all, from building a united front. As he had noticed Lord Hiram’s absence, however, he had begun to realize that, together or separate, they could not be underestimated, and that he had to hold fast to his other alliances. The Governor of Sor, the merchants, the courtiers and the priests favoured his succession, but though at least the first two could be relied upon to have a pragmatical view of his means to achieve it, the incest taboo was an obstacle for religious mindsets of any creed.

On the other hand, as Zimraphel herself had implied in her speech, someone had to hold the Sceptre, and soon. Even the minority who had favoured her succession would have to see that she was as married to him as he was to her, and that there was no way for things to go back to the way they had wanted them to be. Even her mother had understood as much.

“The gods themselves have blessed our union. We were married by the sacred rites in the sight of Earth and Heaven, and the omens proved favourable!”

“Leaving religious considerations aside.” With a jolt, Pharazôn realized that it was Amandil speaking; Amandil, in whose direction he had been unable to look since Zimraphel’s announcement.

“How can we leave religious considerations aside?” Valacar intervened, but the Lord of Andúnië silenced him with his glance.

“Leaving religious considerations aside, I say, you claim to propose an alliance to end the strife which has affected the governance of the Island for centuries. But in what terms? Is this marriage a union of two hearts, or just one more of your conquests? Or, in other words, is she our rightful Queen still, and you her husband, or are you intending to usurp her Sceptre and become King through the annulled succession decree of Ar Gimilzôr?”

Pharazôn could not help but smile wryly at his friend’s perceptiveness. He was a step ahead of everyone else – which is why he had shed the blind denial and was already at the more productive endeavour of discussing the terms. That he would keep such a presence of mind, after what had probably been a devastating revelation for him, just proved how formidable an enemy he could grow to be.

“Does this matter, Lord Amandil, when our souls are one?” Zimraphel asked. Amandil frowned, far from satisfied by this response, but the Palace Priest was faster.

“Will you be King, my lord prince?”

He could have spent hours explaining what he and Zimraphel were planning to do, but it was too soon, and too much controversial information to assimilate in one afternoon. So, sparing a brief instant to send an apologetic glance in Amandil’s direction, he nodded.

“Yes.” For the first time, some of the murmurs were of approval, and he realized that he had made the right choice.

“Then, you are not merely a sinner, but also a usurper!” Valacar spat. Pharazôn was going to open his mouth to deliver a reply, but, to his surprise, it was Queen Eärnissë herself who spoke.

“No. If the Princess of the West were to surrender the Sceptre, every law in Númenor, including the late King’s succession decree, would make the Prince of the South its rightful recipient.” Her voice was so flat and toneless that it did not seem to be coming from the lively woman’s mouth at all. Suddenly, he became aware of how old she was, too old for his husband, people had said even back when they married. And yet, there she was, while he rotted in the darkness of his chambers. “If you consider the Sceptre to be her legitimate birthright, then you must also respect her right to do as she wishes with it.”

“But this is a betrayal of her father’s memory! He would never have approved of this!”

“Nor would he have approved of such a marriage!”

“Enough! That is enough!” For the first time since the session started, Zimraphel’s mask was breaking, and her profound turmoil was beginning to show through the cracks. Though evidence of what they called her insanity could perhaps work in favour of his claim to power, it could also add fuel to the predictable rumours about her being too unstable to make her own decisions -and then, both the Sceptre and their marriage could be threatened by unscrupulous kinsmen who wanted to rule with what they believed to be a frail woman as their puppet.

Slowly, carefully, he moved towards his wife, knowing that his presence would be able to steady her. Once again, however, Eärnissë was first to arrive, and laid an arm over her daughter’s shoulders.

“That is right, my lords, it is enough. You are dismissed from this Council, and I will have to ask of you, shameful as it is to even put such a thing in words, to pay your respects to the late King’s remains without upsetting the Princess any further! Everything else can be discussed in another session.”

“Before you leave, I will say one last word”, he intervened swiftly, willing his voice to rise powerfully again. “We promised the late King that our reign would usher a new era for Númenor, an era where all the former enmities, rivalries, and factions would finally be forgotten. For the Princess’s friends and allies are my friends and allies hereby, and my friends and allies will also be hers. If you swear loyalty to us, my lords, I will call all the gods and the Baalim to bear witness of my solemn oath not to bear a grudge against any of you, no matter what may have been said and done until now. But if you do not, then you will be at war against both of us, and there is no one in whose name you can rebel!”

“No one in whose name we can rebel? What of Queen Míriel’s name, prisoner to a usurper?”

The words had not been said aloud; in fact, they had been little more than a whisper on Valacar’s lips, and yet they had carried across the chamber, even above the noise of furious debate and the creaking of the ancient ivory chairs as the most powerful men of the realm rose from their seats. Pharazôn paled.

“Where are you going?” the Queen barked at him as he stormed away through the door that gave to the King’s gallery. Pharazôn ignored her, as he also ignored the men who seemed to be waiting to accost him when he passed by their side. Taking a shortcut to the inner courtyard, he even ignored the Palace Guards who had been stationed there since the morning, trying not to ponder how many traitors there could be among them, if even one member of their leadership was compromised.

“Eshmounazer!” he called. The faithful soldier from Umbar had been sitting by the fountain, throwing pebbles into the water, but upon hearing his voice he stood to attention at once. Pharazôn was almost irrationally glad to see him.

“What is it, my lord prince?”

“Take a large escort of soldiers -not Palace Guards-, and depart at once for the Lord of Sorontil’s residence. Lord Hiram has left Armenelos during the night, but his son is still here. Seize him and bring him to the Palace, without raising more attention than what is necessary.”

“The… lord of Forostar’s son, my lord?” Eshmounazer’s eyes widened slightly. Pharazôn nodded, meeting them with a steady gaze.

“Yes, Eshmounazer, the lord of Forostar’s son. Go. I trust you.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

His intuition -or, perhaps he should better say, his fears- had been correct. Lord Hiram had left his son as decoy and abandoned the capital for his fortified city of Sorontil, where he was no doubt raising an army and a fleet for a full-scale uprising. Even worse, the foolish young man Tar Palantir had been considering for the title of lord of Hyarnustar had left with him, and Pharazôn had a very clear idea of what his presence would be used for. Though the King had never formalized his appointment to the lordship, the rebels would appoint him themselves, perhaps even claiming, as he and Zimraphel had done, that it had been Tar Palantir’s last will. And then, he would have not one, but two major territories in rebellion against him.

There was no time to waste, for he was aware that any delay on his part would be a gift to his enemies. Any accession ceremonies would have to be postponed until the crisis was settled; until then, he would merely take up supreme authority in the Palace, and risk being considered a mere acting King whose royal status remained a matter of debate. If there was something he had learned in the mainland, it was that symbols were important, but only when they were backed by facts.

To achieve those facts, swift and forceful action was required. He had been able to prevent Lord Hiram’s son from leaving the capital to join his father, and now he had acquired an invaluable hostage that should, theoretically, allow him to control the situation. Hiram’s state of mind, however, remained one of Pharazôn’s chief concerns, as he had seen him deteriorate visibly after the deaths of his birth father and brother, and he suspected he may have travelled even farther down the road of instability in the last months. As for the Hyarnustar issue, he had rushed to appoint the late Shemer’s degenerate brother Itashtart as the new lord -something which had been very much against the late King’s wishes, not to mention those of Itashtart himself-, and sent an official announcement to the province. He hoped that this would divide the people in the Southwest, and perhaps cause Hiram’s puppet to be contested, deposed, or even delivered to him by his own kinsmen and subjects. If that did not happen, however, he would have to go there himself, and fast, which would give the North more time to prepare for war.

Pharazôn clenched his fists, and shattered the glass that lay in the wooden table beside him. This was not what he had planned. He had never hoped for universal acceptance, but he had trusted that the opposition would remain political. Now, thanks to an unbalanced fool bent on revenge and to an unnamed traitor in the Palace Guard, his controversial marriage and accession to the throne would be further blighted by civil strife, and his reign would begin in blood.

“My father will defeat you, usurper”, the prisoner informed him, in a challenging tone. For a moment, remembrances of another young fool crossed his mind, one who had also been a hostage in the mainland long ago. That other young fool had been a boy, not a man, and yet his expression had made it clear that he knew very well what could happen to him. Valacar did not even seem to be aware of that much.

“Who told your father that the King had died?” Pharazôn repeated for what should be the fifth time. Valacar snorted.

“Your efforts are in vain, for it is not one man alone you should seek. You are surrounded by the Faithful. And wait until the Queen hears that I am here, her own brother’s grandson, imprisoned like a criminal!”

That is why the Palace Guard does not know that you are here, he thought, feeling rage again at his inability to retaliate against them at this point. If they should discover that he did not trust them anymore, they might be tempted to shift their support, tenuous as it was, towards his enemies.

“Give me the name of one man, and then I will see about the rest”, he insisted, as if he had not heard the rest of his ramblings.

Valacar shrugged.

“I do not know. I am not good with names. Did you murder the King?”

That was enough.

“Look, I do not care whose son, great-grandson, or great-grandnephew you are. You are only a hostage to me.” He stood to his feet, towering over the sitting young man, and noticed with some small satisfaction that, in spite of himself, he flinched. “And hostages are sometimes useful alive, and sometimes they are useful dead.”

Zimraphel was waiting for him outside, no longer shaken by the previous day’s ordeal. Her dark eyes shone, in sharp contrast with the gloomy mood that had seized him.

“He is here”, she announced, “waiting for you to receive him.”

“Thanks.” As he was about to rush past her, she grabbed his hand with a strong grip, forcing him to pause. “What is it?”

She embraced him, using his own body as support to tiptoe and claim his lips in a fierce kiss. After so many years of hiding, of being afraid to die for a glance, Pharazôn was irrationally scared of this freedom, and yet for her it was such a natural, matter-of-fact action that her mood began to infect him. Taken by a sudden euphoria, he kissed her back under the shocked gaze of the soldiers.

One of them smiled weakly, and did something with his head that resembled a nod. The other, however, looked away, as if seized by a superstitious fear.

“If we had not done this, we would never have been free” she whispered, her warm gaze still fixed on his. “Remember this, Pharazôn.”

As if I could ever forget, he thought, reluctantly disengaging himself from her and giving her hand a last squeeze before charging into his next battle.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil was pacing across the study like a caged beast, any attempts at courtly dignity discarded together with his Council robes. He was so busy scowling at an invisible target that Pharazôn was almost reluctant to make his presence known, only to see this rage redirected towards him. But the time when he could afford to keep some choice weaknesses, as a young man would keep a few of his childhood toys in a box, was long past, and neither could he afford to waste more time.

“Amandil”, he called from the threshold, in a low voice. As he had predicted, the lord of Andúnië’s gaze radiated pure hostility, though not of the fiery, explosive kind he had grown used to over the years, but a colder, more purposeful one. “I am glad that you came.”

“It is a great honour to be summoned to your presence, my lord King”, he bowed ironically. “Or are you still a prince? So many things have happened in such a short time that it becomes hard to keep track of them.”

“Just Pharazôn, please.” He sat down, wondering if his friend would follow his example or if he would remain standing, walking in circles around him for the entirety of the conversation. “You have forgotten to congratulate me for my marriage. Though I suppose I forgot to invite you to the wedding, so we are even.”

He had said those words in the hope of provoking an explosion, which might be easier for him to deal with, but Amandil parried the move without difficulty.

“No, you were right not to invite me. What would I do, bearing witness in a stranger’s wedding? For I do not know you. I thought I knew you once, but now I am wondering if I ever did.”

“Amandil, I could not tell you I was bedding the Princess of the West without risking her life and mine. I hope you can understand that. As for the rest, nothing has changed.”

The lord of Andúnië laughed, and in this laugh, at last, Pharazôn could detect some smouldering embers of the fury that he sought.

“You think I care if you were bedding the Princess, or for how long? I have seen brothers bedding their sisters in the mainland, and to find a wife who deceives her husband or a husband who deceives his wife I do not even need to go that far. Even I have done so, though my excuse was that I doubted I would ever see her again.”

“Because this and that are the same thing!” Pharazôn snorted. “Amandil, look at me in the eye and tell me, truthfully, that you would never have told anyone in Númenor about the Princess committing adultery with the King’s greatest enemy.”

Amandil did look at him in the eye, with such an intensity that for a moment he was even tempted to look away.

“I would never have told anyone in Númenor about you and the Princess committing adultery. I would have done nothing, no matter what, that could put your life in danger.” Damn. “But you chose not to tell me, and now, I cannot even be sure that this is all it was.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“It means that people are talking! The worst rumours go that you are keeping both the Princess and the Queen prisoner, and that you are forcing them to agree to your demands. Others claim that she is infatuated with you, but that you are using her. And some even think that the King was murdered because he would not agree to your marriage!”

“And I suppose her mother is infatuated with me as well?” Pharazôn laughed, though he was not amused. “Which is why I convinced her to support me after I killed her husband, who was still so young and full of life, and claimed his Sceptre and his daughter. What else? If they were my prisoners, would they be so frightened of me that they would not dare denounce me, or ask for help before the assembled Council of the realm?”

“I noticed that the Palace is full of your soldiers.”

“Because I cannot trust the Palace Guard! They are in communication with lord Hiram of Sorontil, and now because of this I have a war on my hands!”

“And you are not responsible for this war at all, are you? You merely married the heir to the throne, your recently widowed cousin for more details, over her father’s still warm body, and took her Sceptre!”

“I love her, Amandil!” Pharazôn was losing his patience. “I already did when we frequented the seediest taverns in Armenelos and you accused me of not knowing the meaning of love, because of course I was never free to love any woman in front of you! When we first sailed to the mainland, the jewel I wore around my neck, the one which saved our lives after the Orc ambush, was a gift from her, for she had predicted that I would find myself in danger! And when your son was told by the King to court her, she pretended to love Vorondil and married him because she knew I could never harm Elendil, damn it!”

“For all my life, I have been in the dark, buried alive in a pit of lies”, a vibrant voice spoke from the threshold. “If to crawl back into the light I have to start a thousand wars, I will. I have sacrificed myself for Númenor for too many years, but no longer. None of us killed my father, Lord Amandil, but if he had stood in my way on this matter, it would have been my life or his.”

For the first time since the start of the conversation, Amandil looked truly unnerved. His gaze wandered from her to him, then back to her.

“Princess…” he whispered, as if he did not know how to finish the sentence. She shook her head in disdain.

“Your son is a decent man, perhaps the only decent man I have known. I thought you would be more like him, and not one of those evil lords who only care for my rights of succession as long as I do what they want. How can you wish me to be the rightful Queen of Númenor, if you won’t even let me rule over my own body and soul? You are nothing but a bunch of filthy hypocrites!”

It was very difficult to oppose Zimraphel when she was in a mood such as this. Amandil, however, had not acquired a reputation for bravery in the mainland for nothing.

“Forgive me, Princess, but this is a matter of State. Your father was our rightful King for seventy-eight years, and yet he could not even marry my aunt Artanis, who was the woman that he loved. A ruler cannot put a kingdom at risk merely for the sake of his personal happiness!”

Zimraphel’s face grew even paler than usual. Her eyes narrowed to slits, and for a moment, Pharazôn feared for his friend.

“You are wrong. My father could not love. If he had, he would never have given it away.” Suddenly, she let go of a sharp, contemptuous breath. “And neither can you. There is a hole in your heart where your love used to be, and it is ugly and empty.”

Amandil watched her departing frame with such an expression of dismay that, in spite of the situation, Pharazôn almost felt sorry for him. But, as he reminded himself immediately, he was not there to feel sorry: he was there to press his advantage.

“Now that you are convinced that I am merely a selfish fool, and not an opportunistic seducer or a power grabbing ravisher, I believe we can proceed to the next stage of the conversation”, he concluded. “First, I have to say that I was not completely honest in the Council chamber, when you asked me about the Sceptre.”

“Well, honesty does not seem to be among your strongest qualities of late.” The lord of Andúnië seemed to be recovering slowly but surely from the impact of Zimraphel’s devastating words. If something could be said about him, it was that his endurance was impressive. Just as in battle, no matter how hard he was hit, he would always struggle back to his feet, a trait that he shared with Pharazôn himself.

“We have plans, but our position is still too precarious to reveal them to the Council. You must see that all this… the fact that we are both heirs in the eyes of many, our respective gifts, which seem to have been divided among us in a way that we can only be truly strong if we work together… our love, which was fated by the gods, who could believe it to be nothing but a coincidence? For the first time in the history of Númenor, there are two rulers together, two who think as one. And so it will be for us. I will hold the Sceptre, and so will she. We will be Ar Pharazôn and Ar Zimraphel.”

“But there is only one Sceptre!” Amandil seemed almost more shocked at this than at Zimraphel’s words. “Never, in our thousands of years of tradition, has anything like this been allowed!”

“The Sceptre is an object like any other, it can pass from one hand to another, and also go back to the giver. And in our thousands of years of tradition, no one has ever wished to attempt such a thing, which could be the reason why it has never been done. But, think about it! There are two gods who protect Númenor, the King and the Queen, and yet for all these years only the King has walked the Earth in mortal guise as the Númenórean sovereign.”

The frown became even stormier.

“So, you will bring back the kingdom into the fold of your old gods, against the wishes of Tar Palantir.”

Pharazôn suddenly wanted to shake his friend.

“Don’t be a fool, Amandil! The kingdom has never left the fold of the old gods, only a few people did! Do not ask me to rule while turning my back to reality, because seventy-eight years of this folly was enough!” Great job gathering allies, Pharazôn, a voice whispered in his mind, but he paid no heed to it. “I never told you about Zimraphel, and yes, I admit it, claiming that our marriage had the King’s approval was a necessary deception, but that does not mean I am a liar in everything else. I will not lie to you.”

“And yet you expect me, the leader of the Faithful, to support you against my own interests.”

Damn.

He would try arguing feelings first, he thought. Feelings were a nicer subject of conversation among old friends, and after so many years they came easier to him.

“Before, you said that you would never have done anything that could put my life in danger. Well, Amandil, my life is in danger now, don´t you think? I would hate for it to seem as if I was keeping count, but I think I recall it is your turn to save me. The last time, I betrayed my mother’s kinsmen to get you out of Middle-Earth before they could lay hands on you.”

The cold bastard, however, shook his head.

“You got yourself into this danger because of your lust and your ambition, and I have no obligation towards you. For the sake of our friendship, I would stay neutral, but I cannot help you. I am sorry.”

“Your neutrality is not enough. If none of the great lords of the Island declares for me, the people will see me as a usurper, even though I am not.”

Amandil shook his head again.

“I am sorry. But you can win this war without me. I have seen you triumph against much worse odds.”

Well, then. He seemed determined to force him into this position. Perhaps it could even be his true purpose since the start, the thought crossed his mind, to remove all those useless smokescreens that prevented the issue from being laid bare in all its glorious sordidness.

“Of course I will win this war, Amandil. It will be bloodier and longer than it would be if you supported me, but in the end, I will prevail. You are right, I do not need you. But you need me. Your people need me. Your lineage, your province, has persisted in the worship of those Lords of the West whom you call the Baalim, even after successive exiles, imprisonments and persecutions. If you take my side now, I can protect you, but if you do not, you will be alone and friendless in a world where everybody views you with suspicion and hatred.” He tried to soften the blow by adopting a beseeching expression, but of course nothing could completely erase the effect of his words. “I do not want that to happen, Amandil. Please, let us remain friends.”

The lord of Andúnië’s countenance, by contrast, was unreadable. Usually, Pharazôn was able to read him even when he was trying to hide his thoughts from the eyes of strangers, but this time, somehow, all those skills and knowledge were of no avail.

“I see.” he said, in a low voice which immediately grew into the usual, brisk yet grave tone that Amandil used to speak before the Council. “Then, I guess we shall have to begin negotiations, my lord King.”

Pharazôn swallowed. Damn him. Damn him forever.

“I will not negotiate with you, you fool!” he hissed. “Tell me what you want, and I will agree to everything.”

“To everything?” Amandil feigned surprise. “I would not presume to tell you how to rule, but I believe a king should exercise greater prudence than this. Otherwise, you might be taken advantage of by people.”

“Yes” he replied, his forehead creasing into a frown. “To everything.”

In his life, he thought, he had taken many gambles, but perhaps none as unnecessary as this. And yet, sheer pig-headed stubbornness, coupled with his flaring temper at Amandil’s attitude and of course his thrice-cursed, damned pride, would never let him back down now.

Amandil shrugged.

“Very well. Then, I will have two oaths from you.”

“More oaths? I haven’t yet fulfilled one and you are already asking for more.” Pharazôn chuckled, feigning good humour, but abandoned the attempt when he realized that it would not work. Not this time. “Very well. What do I have to swear?”

“First, you will swear that you did not kill the King, or either ordered or contrived his death. If I am going to stand by you at any of your endeavours, I need to be absolutely sure of this.”

Pharazôn swallowed a retort.

“Very well”, he nodded, trying to banish the striking memory of Zimraphel’s tears as she burst inside his bedroom. She had said that he had not died by her hand. “I will swear to that. Next?”

“You will also swear that, while you rule Númenor, neither those of my lineage, nor any of my people will ever be persecuted for adhering to our beliefs, and that we will be allowed to honour the Valar and worship Eru in the manner which is traditional for us.”

“Is that all? I thought you would ask for the lands of the Forbidden Bay. Or the lands of Hyarnustar. Do you realize that your son’s sons are prospective heirs through his wife? She was adopted by her uncle before she married him.”

“I do not need any lands other than those which have always belonged to my family. I have never been blinded by ambition” Unlike you, the thought remained unspoken. “Perhaps because, as a child, I was taught that not even my own safety, or that of my loved ones, could be taken for granted.”

“You offend me.” Pharazôn was finding it harder and harder to suppress his anger.” We are friends, Amandil. I do not persecute my friends.”

Amandil shrugged, not in the least impressed.

“You have conditioned our friendship to my support in a civil war. As I do not know what other conditions you will set in the future, I will not take any chances.”

Fine. You are in the right, and I am in the wrong, you stubborn idiot. If I did not need your support so badly, I would apologize to you.

“What god or… supernatural being who cannot be worshipped as a god do you wish me to swear on?”

“Your gods. Melkor and Ashtarte-Uinen.”

“Aren’t they false to you?”

“But not to you”, Amandil retorted. “And that is the only thing that matters, is it not?”

“Very well.” Pharazôn paused for a moment, so he would remember the words. “I swear by the King of Armenelos and Lord of Battles, my protector, and by the Queen of the Seas and Lady of the Cave, my mother’s protector, that I did not kill Tar Palantir, ordered or contrived his death. And I swear by the same gods that, while I rule Númenor, neither your lineage, nor any of your people will ever be persecuted for adhering to your beliefs, and that you will be allowed to honour the Valar and worship Eru in the manner which is traditional for you.”

As he finished the oath, it seemed to him that Amandil was a little surprised, almost as if he had not believed him capable of doing this. For a second, it even looked as if there was a touch less of hostility in his glance, but it might have been wishful thinking.

“My men and my fleet are at your service, then.” He stood up, looking oddly formal against the backdrop of the obsidians and marbles of the Palace. “Please, use them to put an end to this fast. If only one person were to die for your ambition and Lord Hiram’s folly, it would be one death too many as far as I am concerned.”

“Do I have to swear on that, too?” Why did he keep his feeble attempts at humour? He sobered. “I will be fast, Amandil. As fast as I can. But you have been in the mainland, and you know that to be fast means to be more violent than you might otherwise be.”

“You do not need to seek my approval. You are the King.”

And with a look of supreme disdain, Amandil gave him a bow and turned his back on him to leave the room.

 

The War of Forostar

Read The War of Forostar

Amandil reined in his horse, his glance closely surveying the cliffside under their feet, then the expanse of bare rock that seemed to stretch for miles with no end in sight. They had reached a considerable height after climbing many turns of the long and winding path, but still not enough as to be able to see the city and harbour of Sorontil, ensconced somewhere East of this impenetrable mass. Once they reached the Tower, he had been told, it would be visible from there, and also the Sea beyond it. Then, he would be able to catch a glimpse of both fleets, hopefully in a stand-off, as the hostilities had not been yet officially declared, but he knew how tiny the spark needed to ignite the devouring fires of war was.

A war which he had hoped never to see in the Island of his birth, he thought bitterly, even to the point of bearing with the worst offenses and insults by the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay in the not so distant past. His years on the mainland had taught him that armed conflicts destroyed resources and lives, affecting the guilty and the innocent, and that they should never be brought to his homeland, no matter the cost. Apparently, however, the lessons that Pharazôn had taken with him to Númenor had been very different. In an Island which had been at peace for four hundred years, he had become a wolf among sheep, and this gave him the right to take what he wanted, even the Queen’s hand and the Sceptre of Armenelos.

Poor Tar Palantir. In the end, all his efforts had come to nothing. His own daughter had betrayed him, and his wife had found herself with her hands tied by the strongest chains to be ever devised under Heaven: those binding a mother to her daughter’s happiness. And, at least, the Queen had this excuse to absolve her, but what could he say for himself? For there he was, too, going against his King’s will, betraying his once allies and ensuring that Melkor would reign over Númenor for the years to come.

But no, he thought, berating himself for the umpteenth time for the dangerous penchant of his musings. As tempting as it was to lose oneself in guilt for his own actions and anger at Pharazôn’s, he had chosen this path freely, and if he did not stand by his own choices he would be nothing but a despicable coward. The Princess of the West had married her cousin in secret but willingly, and the only way to prevent Pharazôn from ruling Númenor was to either kill him and force the Princess to marry someone else, or topple the royal line entirely and put a descendant of another noble house in the throne, both actions which would be more divisive and worthier of censure than those of the so-called usurper had been. Cousin marriage might be a sin, and their union a disrespect of the late King’s will, but such considerations would not bother many people for long, not if they could have a proper King who looked the part, worshipped the proper gods, and brought Númenor back to its former splendour through his dashing victories. And they certainly would never be considered a cause for war in the Island, except in the minds of the greatest religious fanatics. Ever since he saw the Prince and the Princess standing proudly before the Council, holding hands, he had already known in his heart that all was lost, and what was left was merely the chance to bargain. If only Lord Hiram had not been blinded by his grief and rage, he would have seen this too.

Now, because of this presence of mind, he had been given a chance to set things right, at least. This conflict could still be solved peacefully, if he managed to convince Hiram of the necessity of surrender. Hyarnustar had already been brought into the fold in a matter of days, those that took Iqbal to piss his pants when he realized that not only Pharazôn’s Umbarian troops were already less than a day’s march from him, but the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay, unwilling to be signalled as an enemy of the Sceptre after his hated neighbour had struck a deal with him, had allowed the army from Andúnië to cross his territories into the Southwest. The shortest lordship of Hyarnustar’s history had thus ended in unconditional surrender, and the hapless young man was now being held in the Palace, where he had been forced to acknowledge Lalwendë’s birth father as rightful lord. Another blow to the rebellion had been the usually prudent lord of Orrostar’s declaration of loyalty “to the Sceptre” -Amandil, who knew the man, was certain that the omission of the name of the person who held it had been deliberate, and yet this meant that he would never rise in support of anyone who fought whoever was holding it-, which, joined to the Governor of Sor’s known sympathies for the Prince of the South’s party, had effectively secured the East of the island for the cause of the new monarch. Now, the North alone remained outside Pharazôn’s control, but not for long. A coordinated strike from land and sea was just waiting to be launched, held back only by the possibility that Amandil would succeed in his endeavour. Or waiting for him to fail, he thought grimly, unable to forget the mocking look in Pharazôn’s eyes as they planned this.

“He is insane and has already refused to receive my messengers once. Words will not sway him, not even yours.”

“Then, why do you send me? If he is as insane as you claim, he will not descend to trading words with me in neutral territory; he will remain in his stronghold, preparing for war.”

Pharazôn shook his head.

“Oh, but he will be there. The temptation to revile you for your betrayal and try to convince you to return to the fold of righteousness will be too great to resist.”

Amandil had been unable to let this go. He was growing so angry at the perpetual smirk in Pharazôn’s face that sometimes he needed to withstand the urge to punch it away.

“And what if he succeeds? What if my fleet and my men suddenly turn against you and you have to flee for your life?”

Pharazôn did not even bat an eye.

“Try to be back before nightfall, those mountain passes are said to be treacherous in the dark.”

He knew very well why he had been allowed to go: because Pharazôn wanted to prove to him and the others that he was civilized enough to follow all the ancient conventions of warfare. And because he was such an overconfident bastard that he would even take the leader of the Faithful’s support for granted.

But then, who was he trying to deceive? He would never turn against Pharazôn now. He did not know if Lord Hiram was lost enough in the path of rightful hatred as to remember his son and worry for his fate, but for Amandil, it was more than a son what was at stake: his whole family, his people, all the Faithful in the Island would face a hostile future entirely defenceless, if he went back on his word. Pharazôn knew this, and that was why he was confident enough as to see him off to meet his former ally. And that was why Amandil would neither betray him -nor forgive him.

“They are already here”, a voice close by jolted him off from those bitter considerations. Blinking the haze away from his eyes, and cursing at the frozen wind, he looked ahead, to the place where the venerable ruins of the Tower of Meneldur stood tall atop a rocky peak. At its foot, armed men were following their progression with wary stances, as if unsure of whether to welcome them or fire on them. In their midst, growing more distinct as they came closer and closer, the silhouette of Lord of Sorontil himself stood proud and silent, his eyes set on him like burning coals.

As soon as they were within hearing distance, Amandil dismounted, and advanced several steps towards him. His men followed his example but stayed behind, grumbling about the wind which had grown into a raging gale, now that they stood at the summit of the mountain ridge.

“Lord Hiram”, he greeted, with a formal bow. The other man, however, did not seem to be in the mood for even the most basic of courtesies.

“Well met, traitor.”

“You may be right, my lord, insofar as it is impossible to choose sides in this conflict without betraying someone.” Amandil replied calmly, refusing to take the bait. “And yet, of both of us, I would say that you are the greater traitor. For you caused this war, by rebelling against your rightful Queen, and even now you seem determined to doom your house and your people for the sake of this cause.”

“Rebelling against my rightful Queen?” Hiram laughed, such a rare occurrence in the usually serious man that Amandil could not help but be reminded of Pharazôn’s dismissive words about his sanity. “I am protecting her! She has been taken against her will by an incestuous, traitorous usurper, who killed her father and hid his corpse for days while he prepared for his strike!”

There was probably some truth in this, Amandil had to admit. A spy had informed the lord of Sorontil of Tar Palantir’s death before it was officially declared in the Council room, and Amandil was sure that Pharazôn had spent every minute of this delay plotting and gathering allies within the Palace. And yet, he had sworn an oath that he had not killed Tar Palantir, and the Princess had certainly not been taken against her will. That much he believed from the man he used to call his friend.

“The King died of natural causes. He was old, his hour had come, and there is no reason to blame the Prince of the South. As for the Princess, she married him of her own free will.”

“That marriage is no marriage in the eyes of Heaven!”

Just like a bastard was not a son in the eyes of Heaven, until Ar Adunakhôr seized the Sceptre by the strength of arms, you fool, Amandil thought, frustrated. Why were they so short sighted, so unwilling to learn from their own history?

Because this history was nothing to them but a distant memory. Its pages had not been written with their own blood and their tears, he answered himself, almost as soon as he had the thought. Because a deep understanding of the consequences of failure had not been passed as a bitter inheritance, from fathers to sons, through the centuries.

Amandil had known, only too well, what it was to be in the losing side since he was a child. Hiram had not, and the fact that he seemed determined to learn it infuriated him.

“Do not be a fool. I beg it of you as a friend and a kinsman, which is why I have come all the way here to speak to you. The Prince of the South will prevail, and he will be accepted as King by the lords, the Council, and the people. Your rebellion will be in vain, for no matter how hard you fight, or how long you hold out with your men, you are not strong enough to topple him. And, even if somehow you could do it by some miracle from Heaven, what then? Who would hold the Sceptre? You? A grieving Queen whose husband you just killed?”

Hiram listened to him in grave silence, though his eyes were empty of understanding, even worse, of recognition.

“A miracle from Heaven”, he repeated, as if this was the only part of his speech worth remembering. “Perhaps those are not so rare as you believe them to be, with your mind clouded by the lies of the false religion. The King thought that your past as priest of the evil gods had been nothing but a deception to save your life, but it is obvious that there is no way back after you have sacrificed to them even once.”

Then what about Tar Palantir himself? What about your father, Lord Zakarbal? Amandil thought, almost unable to hold his ire. Were any of them threatened with death while they were still children, if they did not sacrifice? They did it of their own free will, and if there was no way back after that, why do you persist in this charade?

But he was here as a diplomat, and as such, he had to measure his words while there was still a glimmer of hope, as faint as it might look at the present moment.

“Please, Lord Hiram, be reasonable. We can still settle this peacefully. If you surrender, you will be allowed to live, like Lord Iqbal was, and your people will be spared the hardships of war and defeat.”

“Never! If I do so, neither the Queen nor my birth brother, Prince Vorondil, or my birth father, the Former Lord of Hyarnustar, will ever forgive me for my cowardice!”

“And what about your son? Will he ever forgive you if you are the cause of his death? And your wife, will she forgive you for it?”

Hiram stared at him, livid, and Amandil felt himself beginning to lose hope. He was unhinged. It was impossible to reason with him, and, once again, Pharazôn was the one who had been aware of the truth all along. Which should mean…

His heart froze, just as he realized what this meant.

“I will never allow myself to be blackmailed by the likes of that usurper. I leave that to cowards like you!”

“You are mad, Lord Hiram”, he hissed, unable to restrain himself any longer. “You are raving mad, bent upon the path of your own destruction, and you will take your family and your men with you!”

The man’s features bolted shut, hiding even the deranged glint in his eye that had given his madness away to Amandil. All of a sudden, it was as if there was nothing in there anymore, neither rage nor hope; nothing but a cold determination.

“This conversation is over, Lord Amandil. Leave now, or I will order my men to shoot their arrows at yours. Go back to your master, if it is your wish to die, or to Andúnië, if you prefer to live and see your loved ones again. Whatever you choose, I care not.”

As he nodded curtly, returned to his own men, and undertook together with them the laborious descent down the mountain, Amandil could not prevent his restless mind from becoming clouded by a dark premonition.

 

*      *      *      *      *

 

The premonition became an increasingly terrible certainty as someone signalled for them to stop at the edge of the cliffside that hung over the rocky valley underneath. There, an army was marching at a quick pace in the direction of the encampment where they had left Pharazôn and his men that very morning. Though each of the soldiers was nothing but a shining dot to their eyes due to the distance, there was no doubt of which army it was.

“Lord Hiram has broken the truce!” one of the men cried, outraged. Amandil nodded, grimly. They must have been on the move since at least a day or two ago, to have made it this far.

“That slippery bastard! I would wager my soul that he has joined them himself through some damn mountain shortcut of those only the natives know” someone else was saying next to him. “We have been fooled!”

We, perhaps, Amandil thought, but not him. He had known all along.

“Let us hurry back to the encampment, then. Perhaps we can still reach them in time.”

They would not, but that did not concern him much. If his suspicions were correct, he would not want to be there for anything in the world. If Eru was truly listening to the prayers of insolent men who bothered Him with their personal troubles, there was only one thing he would ask: that it would be over soon.

 

*      *      *      *      *

 

The Lord of Sorontil’s army had fallen on what he believed to be an unsuspecting enemy encampment, only to find it empty. As his men sought the tents for a sign of life under the howling winds, they had discovered only one thing: Valacar’s corpse, grotesquely lying on the ground next to his severed head. When Lord Hiram’s eyes fell upon this sight, something cracked inside him, and the strength of his resolve abandoned him, leaving only the scattered, purposeless currents of unbound madness in its wake. He was asked for directions, for orders, for a strategy to counter their enemy’s move, but he would answer nothing, his hands holding the cold hands of the corpse as if for dear life.

It was like this that Pharazôn’s army had found him when it fell upon them, riding down the slope of the nearby hill where they had been hiding, while shooting fire arrows at the abandoned tents and provisions. Under those circumstances, and in the state of disorganization in which the army had suddenly been plunged, it was no surprise that the survivors had been few, or that Lord Hiram himself had been one of the first to be killed by a stray arrow.

Amandil had been informed of all this after the fact, for he had arrived too late to have a meaningful role in the battle. But not too late for the celebration, one of the Umbarian captains teased him good-naturedly, pausing for a moment in his inspection of the corpses. Most of those men had never seen a real war, Amandil thought, until they were led to their deaths by a fool.

As he thought this, he reached the place where the bodies of the Lord of Forostar and his son were lying, side by side on a mat. Hiram’s eyes were still wide open, giving his dead countenance a gruesome look that did not seem to bother anyone, but which he found deeply disturbing. Out of a sudden instinct, he knelt by his side and closed them. Next to him, Valacar’s corpse caught his attention, and his gaze trailed upon the bloated limbs, the pale, almost greenish tinge of his skin, and the perfect state of the clothes he wore. When a man was beheaded, there was usually a lot of blood involved, but as much as he looked, he was not able to find a single drop here.

“Do not waste your time feeling sorry for these traitorous fools. They were the ones who brought war to the Island, and caused the death of all the rest”, a familiar voice spoke behind his back. Amandil’s frown increased.

“Since when has Valacar been dead?”

There was a brief silence after this, as if Pharazôn had not expected this question. However, if he had managed to take him by surprise, the ever-present, accursed confidence in his tone did not allow Amandil to tell.

“Since he was poisoned in Armenelos. There was no point in carrying him around from one side of the Island to another, or in keeping so many men away from their duties to stand watch over him. Or in listening to all his insults, if I may say so.”

Amandil took a sharp breath. He was hard pressed to keep a neutral tone, in the middle of a camp full of soldiers who could easily listen to their conversation.

“I am surprised. You spent so much of your youth agonizing about the leaf of the visions, and now it turns out that you were the most foresighted of us all. You could already tell that Valacar would need to die, even before the peace talks had taken place!”

“That is not foresight, it is common sense. Lord Hiram was not going to surrender peacefully, and he would have known that there was no way to defeat me except through treachery. Unless he could have convinced you to switch sides in the last moment, which was of course out of the question, there was no better choice left than to strike while we were still unprepared. Otherwise, he would have been forced to sustain a long siege, with devastating effects for himself and his people.”

 

“And yet you still saw fit to send me there to let them believe that you had swallowed his bait.”

“Amandil, you used to know these things, too. Do not blame me for your own blindness.” At last, the lord of Andúnië felt ready to struggle to his feet and face Pharazôn. He looked no different than all these other times in which he had emerged victorious from a battle in the mainland: excited and flushed, wearing his dirty armour as a courtier would their best audience finery.

“You could have been wrong”, he insisted, somehow irked by what he was seeing as much as he was for the words he was hearing. “Who are you to play with people’s lives on the whim of your instincts?”

“I don’t know.” Pharazôn feigned puzzlement. “A war general?”

“You are the King of Númenor now!” This time, his voice grew loud enough for the people around them to notice that something was amiss. He saw a few shocked glances dart in his direction, then quickly turn back to their own business. “You cannot treat the lords of the Island like the barbarians, and you cannot rule Númenor as if it was a conquered territory!”

“Oh, I see. So that is why you trusted Lord Hiram to respect his agreements. Not because you have turned into a fool, but because you do believe that the lords of the Island are different from the barbarians.” Pharazôn allowed himself a mirthless laugh. “Well, I trust you have realized now the error in your reasoning. The lords of the Island belong to the same kindred of Men as the barbarians and the servants of Sauron, and as such, they are no less treacherous by nature. The only difference is that they have had less chances to learn how to do it properly. Compared to the meanest of the tribe leaders of Harad, who are accounted old men in the eyes of their people when they reach forty, these lords who spend hundreds of years in idle bickering are nothing but overgrown children.” His eyes rested briefly on Valacar, and he shook his head in amazement. “He didn´t even think that he could die.”

Now, they will have to start considering that possibility, Amandil thought, his mind racing with all the implications. Once again, he thought of his ancestors, who had fought against Ar Adunakhôr in the last Númenorean war, back when the Island had known the same bitter strife that soldiers routinely encountered in the mainland. Though they still refused to even speak his name in Andúnië, the self-styled Lord of the West had never gone as far as to destroy their lineage; he had merely sent them into exile.

What would become of Forostar now?

For the first time, he forced himself to swallow all his anger, and school his features into something resembling a formal expression.

“You have what you want now. The Island is yours. The Princess of the West is your wife, and your enemies are defeated. If you stop behaving like a war general now, you will win the hearts of the people, perhaps not of all the people, but of more people than Tar Palantir ever did, I am certain of that.” He would never beg openly, but when he saw Pharazôn flinch, he was aware that the intensity of his expression must have conveyed what his lips would not say. “I will not presume to advise you about war, and perhaps I have been a fool to underestimate what it can do to the best of us. “It was almost too tempting to turn this into an accusation, but he could not succumb to that petty feeling now. “But I know more about Númenor at peace, about its Council, its courtiers, its nobles and its people. I have lived here for the entire lifetime of a lesser man, while you were earning glory in bloody battles. And yes, I have ruled over people, not just over soldiers.”

“So, wise and benevolent ruler of peace, what is your point?”

Was he making him uncomfortable? Apparently, it could still work both ways, he thought with a small spark of vindication.

“Since I was a child, I have often thought of Ar Adunakhôr, and of his treatment of my ancestors and the people of Andúnië. Though I do honour their heroism, a part of me always wondered if they would have stuck so firmly to their beliefs and kept apart from the rest of the Island if they had not been forced out of their homes, and exiled to a hostile territory for centuries. If you consider things from Ar Adunakhôr’s perspective, wouldn’t he have been better served in his policies if he had not isolated them, and remembered that they, too, were his people?”

“They did not want to be his people. He was an aberration from birth, hated by Eru and the Baalim. Even now, they still refuse to speak his name.”

“And why would they not? He did nothing to change their opinion of him. He could have been the greatest king of Númenor, and because he did not take steps to bridge this rift, he ruled over a divided Island for all his life and died a paranoid old man, who saw traitors all around him. He even exiled his own son! Many years after his death, his descendants were still labouring under the shadow of the divide he had created. We still are.”

Now, there was definitely an angry glint in Pharazôn’s eye.

“We are not. Did I, or did I not swear an oath that you would be allowed to worship whomever or whatever you damn wanted in your own homeland? You are welcome to be my people if you want to be, and if you are not, you will never be able to claim that you were not given the chance!”

“Will this apply to the people of Forostar, too? The majority of them did not plot against you or took part in this battle. They merely had the misfortune of living in Sorontil and having a traitor for a lord.”

 “I do hope they will not behave like brainless fools who refuse to surrender despite the loss of their lords and their army. If they do surrender, I will appoint a governor, and we will head back to Armenelos, where there is still a King left to bury, and a Sceptre to claim. If they do not… well, I am rather in a hurry now. I will return once they are starved enough to change their minds.”

“And what then?”

The Prince of the South stared at him.

“Why are you so concerned about the people of Forostar, Amandil? Shouldn’t you be content with your own people’s safety?

Amandil was surprised, himself, at the extent of the passion he was pouring on this argument. Pharazôn was right, it was not his place to fight for the people of Forostar. An ugly voice even whispered in his ear that it was good that the North had become the new enemy of the Sceptre, the new direction towards which the King would gaze with suspicion and hatred. And yet they, too, were part of Númenor, and his instinct told him that if Forostar was not safe, neither was the rest of the Island.

“Please” This time, he did beg, “tell me that, as King, you will see all Númenóreans as your people. Not as allies, not as enemies. Just your people.”

Pharazôn gazed at him for a very long time, in silence. Then, he shrugged apologetically.

“I am sorry, Amandil. I know your history, and I am sorry for what you went through, but I cannot agree with you. The Númenóreans who commit treason against the Sceptre are not my people. They are my enemies. And if they choose to fight me, I could not care less if they were born in the Palace Hill of Armenelos or in the farthest tribe of Harad.”

Amandil did not reply to this. Instead, he hid his dismay by looking again at the corpses at his feet. It was long since the sun had sunk behind the mountains, and the evening breeze had got rid of the flies which had been worrying at their faces. Like this, with his eyes closed in the growing darkness, Hiram would have looked asleep, if not for the blood that stained his clothes. He probably had not slept much of late, at least not since the fateful day that his brother stood in the middle of the Council chamber and asked to be sent to the mainland to fight Sauron.

Now, Amandil thought, he was finally at rest, for the better or the worse, and perhaps he had managed to pass that particular curse on to him. For days, the lord of Andúnië had been sleeping fitfully, and tonight, he doubted that he would sleep at all.

The following day, early in the evening, his knees almost gave way in relief when the fortress and city of Sorontil surrendered to Pharazôn.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Zarhil sat by the window, her eyes wandering over the latticework in an idle attempt to guess the shapes of the trees and the fountains which lay beyond. The room was empty; no one had disturbed her since her daughter had pranced in to tell her about tonight’s reception, and after her departure, she had told the ladies in waiting to leave her alone. They had done so without a word of complaint, probably thinking that she wished to grieve, for Inziladûn’s embalmed body still lay in the adjoining chamber, looking for all the world like a man who was about to wake up from a long and dreamless sleep. And yet this appearance was a lie, so easy to recognize by even the meanest denizen of the Palace that no one bothered to pay their respects to him anymore. Perhaps they believed that grief could turn a widow into a fool, addling her senses and causing her to confuse her wishes with the truth, but she, better than any of them, had known from the very first moment she saw this body that Inziladûn was not there anymore. Still, if it allowed her to be freed from their unwelcome presence, she would bear their pitying looks, their soft manners, and even their handling of her as if she was a porcelain doll about to break.

Míriel -no, she corrected herself, Zimraphel- was the only one who could see past all of these trappings. She could also see inside the darkest recesses of her mind, and find the seed of thoughts that had never even occurred to her yet, imagine them growing strong roots and branches, and follow each one of them until their final, bitter fruit was displayed before her eyes. For all these years, since her daughter was but a child, she had agonized over the irrationality of her hatred, unable to understand how the love she felt for the young Princess of the West could be destined to crash over and over against a solid wall of frozen indifference, like waves shattering against the stone foundations of a Númenórean harbour. Only now, at long last, she had understood the reason behind all this, and the power of the realization had left her numb.

She had done something to her daughter. She had abandoned, deserted her at the most important turn of her life. She had turned her back on her, and disappeared for ever.

Only, she had not done it yet.

Zarhil refused to lose herself in useless speculation about the origins and nature of her daughter’s terrifying powers. For too long, she had simply spoken of them as an unfortunate disease, while others had whispered the word madness. They had all refused to understand, that what they saw as her strangeness was simply the ability to see beyond, so far beyond that her grief, her anger, her hatred and her love were not bound anymore to the speed in which the world unfolded around her. Even now, she did not fully comprehend the implications of this, but she knew this one truth: her daughter had spent her entire life hating her for something that she had not even known she would do. And, the more she thought about it, the more she grew certain of yet another, scarier  truth: that knowing this could never have deterred her from it.

Since she was born, the daughter of the lord of Forostar had never been the most graceful of women. As Queen, she had never possessed a grain of the easy elegance which would have been so sorely needed to compensate for her husband’s own shortcomings. However, as she suddenly leapt from her seat and began tearing away the layers of silk she was wearing, she was aware that anyone watching her at this moment would be shocked. She threw them to the floor carelessly, where they left a strange trail behind her as she sought for the box that hid everything that she needed. Opening it, she proceeded to empty it until, at the bottom, she found the clothes that she had not worn in so many years that she wanted to cry as she held them in her hands. To her surprise, her delighted surprise tinged with the irrational haze of tears, they still fitted her.

Who are you? the girl had asked, her black eyes narrowing in disdain.

Look at me! Do not turn your back on me!

I hate your back.

Zarhil grabbed the lattice with both hands, and pulled it until it gave way. Light inundated the room like the rising tide, unstoppable, forcing her eyes, used to the darkness, to blink repeatedly until they could take it. Where did I put the cursed cloak, she thought, turning around almost dazedly amid the chaos.

As she crossed the garden, then the gallery, and then the outer courtyard, everybody took her for an old servant, and did not gaze twice in her direction. If only she had known it was so easy, she thought, perhaps she could have tried to take her poor nephew’s son with her before they murdered him. But of course, she would have known.

She had to know about this, too, Zarhil realized, and yet it did not seem as if she was going to do anything to prevent it. Perhaps, with her twisted logic, she had decided that Zarhil had earned it. After all, hadn´t she been already paying for it all her life? In a world where punishment came before the crime, it may also follow that the crime itself, when it came, was already forgiven.

Even as she walked across the bustling, crowded streets of Armenelos in the middle of the brightest summer day, however, Zarhil could still feel the weight of those black eyes, staring at her back in hurt betrayal.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The mood at the feast which Pharazôn and Zimraphel had organized in the Palace after his triumphal return was a strange one, somewhere in the middle between a gloomy, oppressive brand of awkwardness and the forced cheer of those eager to join the new order. Everybody seemed to be trying to find their way as they trudged along the unexplored path of the new protocols, not unlike men who tried to cross a treacherous marsh without being swallowed by its perilous waters.

Neither Pharazôn nor his wife had taken a royal title yet. For now, they remained Prince and Princess, as they were still discussing options for an inauguration ceremony with the same symbolical power that the ritual burial had held in the hearts and minds of the Númenórean people for centuries. To Amandil’s surprise, it turned out that they had been serious about the ceremony involving both of them. This new experiment of theirs had compounded on the chaos already created by their temporary accession without a title, the turmoil of the uprisings, the rumours about the King’s death, and the fear and dismay for the Northern Line’s fate, to the extent that there were courtiers who looked like the very picture of anxiety if Pharazôn or Zimraphel did as much as approach their vicinity, fumbling with their greetings as if afraid of not getting them right. Both of them, however, seemed determined to employ this opportunity to allay everybody’s concerns. Pharazôn had never acted so genial and charming as tonight, and even the Princess of the West had shed her customary aloofness to hold the Lady Kadrani’s arm protectively and lead her around, whispering comforting words in her ear.

“Was this necessary?” Lalwendë spat in disgust. She was one of the few people in the room who dared to express her feelings openly, and Amandil could not find it in him to object. Hiram and Vorondil had been her cousins, after all, and she had been quite close to them and Hiram’s wife. “They killed her husband and her son, and, not content with that, they have to parade her around too? And how can she let them?”

“They say that she hated her husband” Amalket intervened. “That she blames him for everything that happened, because he refused to surrender and got her son killed.”

“That is probably what they want you to believe”, her daughter-in-law muttered darkly. Amalket shrugged.

“In any case, she still has her daughters, the Armenelos mansion and the means to live comfortably for the remainder of her days. She may feel that the foolishness of her husband already cost her too much, and that, because of this, she no longer has the luxury of jeopardising what she has left for the sake of her own pride. And who could blame her? I certainly cannot.”

“Lord Iqbal is over there. I am going to greet him”, Lalwendë said in a cold voice, turning away from her mother-in-law. After some hesitation, both Anárion and Ilmarë followed her.

It did take some guts to approach Iqbal, Amandil thought, for most people in the room was giving him a wide berth. Up to this point, he had been standing in a corner, holding a cup of wine in a trembling hand, but in all the time that the lord of Andúnië had been observing him, he had not drunk a single drop from it. Whenever Pharazôn happened to be near his vicinity, he gave a start, and his face turned paler than the marble wall behind him.

“I wonder what happened to leave him in such a state of panic”, he remarked to his wife, thoughtfully. “One would think that he should count himself lucky. Not only did he come out of this alive and unharmed, but he has even been named heir to Lalwendë’s father! And we all know that lord is not likely to rule for very long.”

Amalket gave him the look that he was most familiar with after so many years: a glare of contempt.

“What? You do not know? I thought you were friends with our King -sorry, our Prince, or our Queen’s husband, or whatever he wants to be today.” When Amandil did not rise to the bait, she shrugged. “He was there when Lord Valacar was poisoned. Apparently, both were drinking more or less at the same time, and when Valacar fell to the floor, he was sure that he had drunk the poison as well. He was scared out of his wits, but your friend just stood there and invited him to have some more.”

Amandil nodded.

“Well, I suppose there is a lord who will never revolt. It is impressive how many different uses a single corpse can be put to.”

“Is this what you did on the mainland?” She did not seem horrified, not even reproachful, and yet it was not mere curiosity what seemed to lurk behind her eyes. Amandil, however, had given up trying to read her moods long ago.

“I never poisoned anyone, but I killed plenty of people, and sometimes for much less”, he answered. “This is how it has always been in the mainland.”

“And now, this is how it is in the Island”, she retorted. He felt a brief pang in his chest, unpleasantly reminded of his conversation with Pharazôn in that mountain pass up North.

“Now, Amalket, that is unfair. This was merely a very unfortunate circumstance. No lord had revolted against the Sceptre since the War of Alissha, and back then people died too, as they do in all wars, whether in the Island or the mainland. Now, however, the war is over and we are at peace again, which is why Lady Kadrani and Lord Iqbal are among us tonight.”

“And the Queen?”

“What?” Distracted by his own musings, it took Amandil a while to register the meaning of his wife’s question. He shrugged. “She is in mourning for the late King. The Princess of the West gave the announcement at the start of the feast.”

“If you say so.” Amalket’s look of contempt was back, and this time, he did feel like rising to the provocation.

“Is there something else that you believe I should be aware of? Some rumour I have missed? Has she been killed together with her husband? Poisoned with Valacar, perhaps?”

“I do not know where she is”, she replied, with aloof dignity. “All I know is that I do not feel safe in this Palace anymore. If you have a friendship to hold on to, do so, because your family has always posed the greatest threat to the Kings of Númenor by the mere reason of their existence. And if you ever become a threat to this King of Númenor, he will not think twice before destroying you. I do not care for my own life, as there is not much of it left, but if you put my son or my grandchildren at risk, I will rise from the grave and haunt you forever.”

And before Amandil could have the chance to answer, she turned away from him and followed their daughter-in-law towards the other end of the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It was the crack of dawn, too early for the harbour of Sor to stir awake from its sleep. As she crossed the docks at a brisk pace, not a single soul crossed her path in the waning darkness. Carefully, she folded the old cloak over her hands, cold from the chill of the morning, and sought beyond the fishing boats and the timber ships until she saw the faint shapes she was seeking. Her pace quickened as she hastened to meet them.

“There you are, my lady. I thought you would never come.”

The man was more visible than the others, for he was leaning on the prow of the ship. When she took in every feature of his face, his weather-beaten skin, and his friendly yet slightly sardonic grin, she could not help but smile.

“You look like your uncle” she told him. “And that is not necessarily a compliment.”

“I would never dare presume this much”, Malko’s nephew answered. “Well, are you coming or not? The crew is waiting for you.”

Zarhil ignored his outstretched hand, and took impulse to jump onboard. Though the vigour and agility of her limbs had been much diminished over the years, she still could manage as much. As she landed, she detected a look of veiled surprise in his eyes, which made her feel warmth inside her chest, in spite of the cold.

“Do you know that my uncle used to tell me stories about you? I never believed them, but now, it turns out I may have to go and apologize to his grave.”

Zarhil leaned against the prow and rested her hands against the railing, marvelling at the rugged, hard feel of the wood under her touch. For a moment, she closed her eyes to take a long, deep breath, enjoying the salty smell of the sea breeze. Far in the distance, she could hear the cries of the first sailors and merchants to start their morning routines.

Suddenly, she bit her lip, trying in vain to keep her tears at bay. It felt as if a dam had broken, and then her body, too, started to shake, and she was aware that as soon as she uttered a word or turned back to face them, they would notice. Horrified at the idea of letting them see her weakness, she just stood there for a while, without moving or talking.

In the end, it was the cry of the seagulls what steadied her, allowing her to find her way back to a tenuous state of composure. Still, until she was not fully sure of herself again, she did not dare utter a word.

“You can apologize to him later. Now, we have a journey to begin.”

“Hey, you heard her!” The ship grew astir with activity, as the crew busied themselves with the sails, the ropes, and all those things that Zarhil, daughter of Zarhâd of Forrostar, had been familiar with before she was covered in a red veil and taken to a dark palace in Armenelos. While she watched them, a thought began to grow within her, first timidly as she recognized the movements, then, gradually, growing into a stronger and stronger certainty.

She was still Zarhil. She had always been. The rest had been a dream, a dream so strange, so hideous, that deep inside, she had always been sure that she would wake up.

“Where are we going?”

For the first time, she moved away from the railing, and though it was tricky, she managed not to lose her balance. Behind her, the proud towers of Sor gleamed under the first rays of the morning sun. Even closer, almost right above them, Ar Adunakhôr’s gigantic statue of the Warrior stood proud and mighty, with the bristling wolf curled against his leg. He looks like the new King, she thought, realizing detachedly that she would never see Númenor again.

“To the South.” she said.

 

The King and the Queen

Read The King and the Queen

It was Midsummer, and the Forbidden Bay was basking in the most glorious summer season that many of its inhabitants could recall from past memories. Throngs of people had arrived from every corner of Númenor, surpassing the number of pilgrims which usually attended the yearly festival in honour of the Queen of the Seas, and even the High Priest’s wildest estimates. As a result, the measures taken to accommodate the crowd had proved insufficient, and armed priests had been forced to prevent the entrance of any more people to the sacred enclosure. Those who had not been able to secure a place had sought other options: the sea, for example, was teeming with ships, which could not land because of the ancient interdiction, but whose passengers were still allowed a glimpse of the ceremony from afar. The bulk of the multitude, however, was aligned by the side of the road connecting the sanctuary with the capital, and as more of them arrived during the last day, they had needed to camp farther and farther from the coast, at such distance from any urbanized area that vendors had to cover large distances to provide for them.

It was no mere devotion what had brought all those souls to attempt the pilgrimage this year. As the day approached when, year after year, the priests of the Bay commemorated the Queen’s battle over the monster of the deep, it was as if the very air of the Island had become rife with speculation. Everybody knew that this festival would be different from the others, though no one could tell exactly in which manner it would unfold. All they knew was that, only a week ago, the new King Ar Pharazôn had emerged from the roots of the mountain with no Sceptre in his hands, and no High Priest of Melkor among his deliverers. This had brought back all the whispers which had been slowly beginning to dwindle in the long month that passed after the announcement of his wedding to the Princess of the West and the ominous happenings in the Northern region. Rumours flew about, some wilder than the others, about the High Priest refusing to condone the marriage between cousins, or about he and the Queen joining hands and forming a secret resistance movement which had absconded with the Sceptre to prevent their enemy from wielding it. The Princess of the West, too, had been conspicuously absent for all these proceedings, and this lent credibility to the strongest rumour of all: that she had been married against her will, taken away from her grieving widowhood to serve her cousin’s political ambition.

Some of the people of Armenelos had felt encouraged by these signs to speak of this openly, and declare their opposition to the new King, but they had been fewer and more isolated than what might have been expected. Many were frightened by the fate of the Northern Line, and did not wish to invoke a similar kind of trouble upon themselves and their families. Others had always believed that the Prince of the South would make a better King than either Tar Palantir or his daughter, who as a woman could not even prevent Sauron from threatening the mainland colonies, and welcomed the idea of a restoration of the old ways of Númenor, no matter how it came about. And finally, there were others who did not know very well what to think of this, but were eager to see how the events unfolded, and excited to speculate about what would come next. Those had flocked in the greatest numbers to attend this festival, where the King would be paying tribute to the Lady of the Cave in person.

As the royal procession made its progress through the Western Mittalmar, its magnificence was remarked upon by all. Not since the reign of Ar Gimilzôr had the Royal Court been on display outside the narrow confines of the capital, and there were villagers who had never even seen the King with their own eyes before. The soldiers, too, were a new occurrence, even for those who lived in Armenelos, and the way they marched before the procession was a thrilling sight this West of the Island. Those were real soldiers from the mainland, as a husband whispered in his wife’s ear as they passed next to the ditch where both had prudently retreated to avoid being trampled, not like the Armenelos guard or the amateurs who guarded the strongholds of the lords. They had cut through the best army of Forostar like it was made of paper, and that was when only a handful of them had been in the Island at all.

The King, who rode among them, carried himself like one of their number, and it might have been difficult to recognize him from afar if he had not been wearing his purple cloak and golden armour. As he drew closer, however, silence fell like a powerful incantation in his wake. Through the last decades, word of his great victories against Sauron and his evil allies had often reached Númenor, and many of those who sought to catch a glimpse of him had grown up hearing stories of his deadly struggles against the Haradrim, his conquest of Arne, his single combat with the General of Darkness, and his deliverance of Pelargir. Since he had not set foot on Númenor very often during those years, each man and woman had imagined the protagonist of those stories with a different face, but such was the power of his appearance that a single look was enough to banish those false images at once. As he passed them by, it immediately dawned in the mind of the onlookers that this was how it was meant to be: that a man who defeated the enemies of Númenor in battle could never have looked any different. Even his fiercest detractors were unable to utter a word upon meeting his gaze, whether impressed or intimidated, not even they could tell after the spell went away.

The sun was starting to decline in the sky when the party finally reached the Bay. An almost religious silence fell over the place as they approached the Cave, which had been closed to all visitors for days, whether they be pilgrims or priests. The servants of the Lady were standing at the entrance in their ceremonial robes, and when the King dismounted, they knelt before him. Slowly, under the eyes of the curious multitude, he surrendered the reins to one of the soldiers who came with him, and walked past them towards the sacred enclosure. Before he could enter it, however, something moved near the entrance, and he stopped in his tracks.

For a moment, the multitude was thrown in confusion, as people tried to stand on the points of their feet, push their neighbours, and blink the haze away from their eyes to be able to follow what was happening. Suddenly, they saw a silhouette emerge from the shadows of the Cave, and those who were closest to the scene gasped in shock.

It was the Lady. The Lady of the Cave, the Queen of the Seas, come to life, exactly as she was in the famed statue that stood in majesty inside the sanctuary. Her skin was pale as ivory, her raven-black hair fell over her shoulders, black like a starless night, and her brow was adorned by a delicate diadem of silver. Her dress was the colour of the sea in a summer day, embroidered in silver thread, and, free from the constraint of their folds, her white breasts looked small and delicately round.

Daughter of the white foam” the chant began, no one knew exactly where, but it did not matter as more and more pilgrims added their voices to it.

Fairer than silver

Fairer than ivory

Fairer than pearls

Mother of All.”

The prayers lasted until the goddess revealed something that she was holding in her hands, and the King advanced boldly to hold them in his. Standing against his tall figure, she looked small, too small to be a goddess, and yet her serene beauty was enough to make the strongest hearts ache. Slowly, they raised their hands, so the people in the back rows could see it more clearly.

It was the Sceptre.

Most people had by now realized that the goddess was a mortal woman, the elusive Queen of Númenor whom many had believed to be a prisoner in the Palace of Armenelos. And yet the horror, the anger at the sacrilege that was being perpetrated, did not come. Instead, those who were closest to them fell to their knees, and slowly, gradually, the spell extended towards every direction, until even those who had just been waiting to satisfy their curiosity were filled with awe.

The High Priest of the Cave lowered his head, his features tightly covered by an unreadable mask as the chants redoubled. At some point, a part of the crowd began chanting the litany of the King of Armenelos as well, something which had always been strictly banned from the premises of the sanctuary by the Goddess’s law. But today, all those ancient strictures seemed nothing but absurd children’s games, here where the likeness of the Goddess herself had descended upon Earth to embrace her eternal enemy and turn him into her eternal companion. After all, didn’t the Sea meet the earth in each and every beach of the Island? Didn’t night meet day, every single dawn and every single dusk? Didn’t life meet death, in the world of Eru´s Children?

As if on an invisible cue, the Queen took the King inside, and both disappeared under the mountain. Nobody moved or spoke even after they were gone, for every priest and every Númenórean who had ever been to the sanctuary of the Lady knew what happened when a man entered the Cave alone. Until today, however, the priestesses had been there to stand for the Goddess, and the High Priestess would have bestowed the Lady’s blessings on the King, as she had on many members of the royal family until Tar Palantir had discontinued the custom. But now, the Queen herself stood in her place, looking so strikingly like her that it was as if the divine presence had descended the steps of her altar, eager to take Ar Pharazôn into her own embrace.

The High Priest did not move, not even to ease the pain from his legs after what seemed like an eternity of kneeling. Behind him, the priests were growing restless, and the courtiers were shooting scandalized looks at the soldiers, who whispered coarse remarks to each other. The crowd was beginning to grow restless, too, as if slowly waking up from a strange dream after she who had plunged them into it had withdrawn from their sight. Little by little, they began to stir and to talk among them, trying to make sense of what had happened.

Then, at last, they reappeared. They were still holding hands, but even under the receding light of the summer evening, it was evident that they had done much more than that inside. His hair was tangled, the purple cloak laid crookedly over his shoulders, and his lips were curved into a slight smile. As for her, she did not look similarly dishevelled, but her once pale face was flushed, giving it a sheen of wild joy and warmth that no religious artist had ever been able to capture in a statue, though Ashtarte-Uinen was the goddess of love.

Turning towards the High Priest, his retinue, and the crowd, Ar Pharazôn laid an arm over her shoulders, holding her in a tight embrace. Reluctantly, she tore her gaze away from him to turn it towards them, and they could see that her right hand was still clenched over the Sceptre.

“Hail Ar Pharazôn! Hail Ar Zimraphel!” the High Priest shouted. This time, it was the soldiers and priests who took up the chant first, and after a short while the courtiers and the rest followed suit, first hesitantly, as if trying the alien words in their mouth to see how they sounded, then louder and louder, until the clamour filled the Forbidden Bay.

The Queen closed her eyes and leaned against the King, her lips slowly curving into a tremulous smile.

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

My lord.”

“Yes? What do you suggest, then?” Elendil had been looking perfectly alert while the man spoke, his features serious and intent upon each one of his words, though his mind might have wandered a little towards a dark corner of his thoughts where sometimes he secretly fantasized with coming up with a plan to ship him back to Númenor.  “Maharis has supporters in many corners of the realm, and if we drive him away from the capital he might manage to stage an uprising.”

Bodashtart threw his hands up in the air. He liked to pace around rooms when he was preoccupied with something, like Elendil’s own father -though, fortunately, that was where the resemblance between both men ended.

The first time he had set foot on the palace, he had been out of his depths, unsure of what he might find within those walls. Bodashtart, successor of the late Barekbal as governor of Arne for five years, and a man of long experience, had been the one to advise him on how to deal with this new situation. Still, and  though he had been thankful for some of the suggestions he had received from the old man -especially regarding the Women’s Court and the necessity of keeping it at arm’s length-, most of his advice had been unsuitable for what Elendil perceived to be the challenges at hand. At the end of the day, the Palace was just a cold, gaudily luxurious battlefield where everyone seemed to be lost in their own petty fights, disconnected from the reality beyond its walls. All that everybody seemed to care for was how to advance in it and drive their enemies away from it, without seeming to remember that their last power struggle had ended in Sauron’s minions conquering Arne. As he saw things, they were there to put an end to this self-destructive mindset for the good of the kingdom, not to become infected by it.

“That man is plotting with the Lady of the Keys to become King of Arne, I tell you. He has many allies in the Women’s Court. If he is allowed to stay in the Palace…”

“… he will be unable to rise up in arms or strike another deal with Sauron, seek aid from the tribes, or whatever else high nobles do here whenever they cannot have what they want. He will be followed by your excellent spies, which will report to you on his every movement, and meanwhile, we can focus on important things such as securing that trading deal with the Dwarves and getting the mountain tribes on our side.” The Arnian royal family had never wanted to unify the tribes of the Bay, as they relied on their petty conflicts to remain the greatest power in the region. They had only extended their protection to the richer, agricultural tribes of the Anduin area, while others, especially those that dwelt on the mountains, had preferred, or perhaps been driven to throw their luck with Mordor. This gave Arne a good excuse to engage in unequal wars that they would always win, and reap the benefits in the shape of tribute or slaves for their mines, not to mention an aura of military prestige in front of their subjects. The Númenóreans, who for a long time had refused to engage directly that far inland, had in turn reaped their own benefits from this, until the day when everything had blown up in their faces.

Elendil had received no clear instructions of what he was or was not allowed to do, as the Prince had just told him to go and rule Arne, and the King had done nothing but ratify his appointment in a rather grudging manner. He had, however, assumed that, after two great wars, nobody in Númenor could possibly think that the past strategy was beyond reproach anymore. And so, the first task that he had undertaken was to take advantage of Sauron’s retreat to reach out to all the tribes, whether they dwelt in the forests, the river plains, or the mountains. Many had been interested to hear what he had to say, but after so many years of mistrust and enmity towards Arne and between themselves, the gap was proving difficult to bridge. Since packs of lawless Orcs roamed the region even now, plundering and pillaging, Elendil had made it a priority for both the Númenórean army and their new Arnian subjects to rush to the tribesmen’s aid as soon as they asked for it, hoping that such concrete action could convince them of the benefits of an alliance with them. Even now, his son was on one of those missions, and though a part of him still balked at the idea of Isildur risking his life, at least there was some sort of comfort in knowing that it was for an important cause, with reasons behind it other than boundless Númenórean ambition. A unified Bay, however, even if such a thing were possible, would pose a new set of problems, such as needing alternate sources of wealth, and having to deal with the volatile tempers of the treacherous Arnian nobility, whose ability to forget the past surpassed even their reputation as short-lived folk.

And then, there was his own people.

“Lord Bodashtart, you know this Palace and its inhabitants better than I do, and I trust you to keep an eye on Maharis. As long as you can keep the situation under control, there is no need to cause any more ripples here.”

His exquisite courtesy was meant to leave no openings for the old man to exploit. From other instances, he knew that this was the only way to prevent him from flying into a long tirade about how his experience was disregarded by younger men who believed that they knew everything. Someone like the Prince of the South would have sent him back to Númenor instead of just fantasizing about it, but Elendil could not yet afford the luxury of making personal enemies. His family already had enough of those in Númenor, and in Middle Earth, everyone would always see them as a threat unless proved otherwise.

If only Eluzîni was here, he thought, not for the first time in those long months. He was sure that his wife would not mind living in the mainland, and that she would not be daunted by the Palace of Arne or the Women’s Court, but his position was still too precarious here, and her family was going through a delicate situation with the succession crisis. Sometimes, however, he missed her so much that the soundest arguments sounded like hollow excuses to his own ears. He had even caught himself wondering if perhaps she would take a ship and join him without asking or consulting anyone. Though a part of him was horrified at this idea, deep inside he suspected that he would be secretly glad of the chance to lay down his responsibility and just go along with things.

“I will bring you hard evidence of his plotting, and then you will have to take me seriously!” Bodashtart growled, stopping his pacing to glare at him. Elendil shook his head.

“I am taking you seriously, Lord Bodashtart.”

“Oh, yes. Indeed, my lord. In that case…”

But what would happen in that case was something that Elendil never got to hear, for they were interrupted by a discrete knock on the gold-painted sliding door. He would have been glad at the interruption, he thought, if it had been a pompous Arnian demanding an audience to complain about some terrible slight that he had received. At least this would have been a distraction from the no less pompous Númenórean,

The man, however, was one of the resident Númenóreans, and this caused him to stiffen a little. Those would only interrupt him on a private meeting for an emergency, especially one with which they would not dare trust an Arnian.

“What is it?” he asked, praying that it had nothing to do with Isildur or Malik. The man bowed from the doorstep.

“An envoy of the King has just arrived from Númenor, my lord. He claims that he has instructions that his tidings can only be delivered to Lord Bodashtart or to you, and since you are both here…”

“From Númenor?” This seemed to have distracted the old man from his obsession with the Arnian Chief of Cavalry. “Not evil tidings, I hope.”

The man did not raise his face, but kept his eyes religiously fixed upon the floor. Behind him another man, who looked rather windswept and dirty from what had no doubt been a long journey, walked past him and stopped at a short distance from them, coughing formally.

“Well met, Lord Elendil, Lord Bodashtart. I am Zakashtart of Sor, and I have sailed from the Island to deliver a message which, though not evil, will still fill you with the deepest sadness, and yet also with the greatest hope. The King, Favourite of the Powers, Protector of Númenor and the colonies, has passed away in Armenelos”, he recited. Then, he paused, as if wishing to create expectation for what came next. “The Sceptre has been taken by the Prince of the South and the Princess of the West. They are known as Ar Pharazôn and Ar Zimraphel now, Favourites of Melkor and Ashtarte-Uinen, and Protectors of Númenor and the colonies.”

“What?” The stunned silence that followed this pronouncement was broken by Bodashtart first. “The Prince and the Princess? Does this mean that they… that they are husband and wife?”

“Yes, my lord. They were married before the King’s sickbed.”

For all his life, Elendil had favoured the approach of examining every angle of a new situation inside his mind, and staying silent until he was sure that he was ready to react to it in an appropriate manner. This time, however, such certainty would take such a long time in coming that he was aware he would never have the luxury of waiting until it did.

You do not die. I cannot see you die.

Black eyes swam on the edge of his conscious mind, fixed on him with an emotion that he had never, ever been able to read.

Father, Mother. This is the man I have given my heart to.

Other eyes, lighter-coloured and clearly besotted by a strong infatuation, joined the first, until both converged on a pair of hazel eyes that he knew so very well, ones that had a spark of mockery dancing right below their surface, as if they knew a funny joke that nobody else was aware of.

You were close to the Princess of the West, have you ever asked her what she believes in?

No. It was not possible. She had not loved him, and perhaps she had never loved Kamal, or not in the way in which they had both loved her, but him? Enough to give him the Sceptre, her Sceptre, of marrying him in defiance of the gods both false and true, against the will of her father? Enough to crush the hopes of the Faithful to change Númenor forever?

It would not be the first time, a voice, that sounded suspiciously like Eluzîni, whispered in his mind. You remember that Erulaitalë, don’t you? Or have you chosen to forget it? She loved to play the madwoman so she could always get what she wanted, and you all fell for it. Every single time.

“My father”, he managed to say, in his struggle to gather his thoughts and regain his composure before anyone could notice his turmoil. This man was the King’s own envoy. The other, who was kneeling behind him, was not from Andúnië, either, and who knew whom or where he could be reporting to. Even Bodashtart had been one of Pharazôn’s veterans from Umbar. “I trust he has already sworn allegiance to the Sceptre in the name of our house of Andúnië.”

“Indeed he has, my lord. More than that, he has distinguished himself, helping our new King put down an uprising in the North after the late King passed away. Your noble house, as ever since it was restored by Tar Palantir seventy-eight years ago, remains the greatest ally of the Sceptre.”

An uprising in the North? Elendil’s mind was thrown in renewed shock at those words. What on Earth had happened in the Island, and what had his father’s role been in it? Lord Hiram and the ruling family of Forostar had always been among the staunchest supporters of Tar Palantir and the beliefs of the Faithful, their own natural allies. True, his father had always been the Prince’s friend, but Elendil could not imagine that he would put even this friendship over his duty towards his family and his people. If he had supported something, whatever it was, it had to be because it was the best option in the circumstances he had found himself in. Perhaps, like their ancestor Eärendur, he was wearing a sheep’s skin in an attempt to coexist with their ancestral enemy, one who, in spite of all, had never suffered their presence for long.

Melkor, the King of Armenelos.

“Hail Ar Pharazôn, Favourite of Melkor, Protector of Númenor and the colonies!” Bodashtart exclaimed fervently, falling on his knees. To him, this was easier, Elendil thought. He probably felt that the Prince of the South should be the rightful King, and that any means he could have employed to achieve his goal, whether they be incest or war, were justifiable. He was well acquainted enough with the soldiers of Umbar by now as to know this to be a fact.

“And Ar Zimraphel, my lord”, the man insisted. “She is Queen too, the daughter of the late King, and Favourite of Ashtarte-Uinen.”

“Hail Ar Zimraphel then, Favourite of the Goddess of the Seas”, Bodashtart conceded, good-humouredly. Elendil decided that he could not prevaricate further.

“Hail Ar Pharazôn and Ar Zimraphel, Favourites of the gods of Númenor, and protectors of the Island and the colonies”, he pronounced carefully, kneeling next to the older man. “From Arne, I remain their humble servant. Do they have any new orders for me?”

“Only that you remain governor of Arne, and that you keep performing your duty with the same dedication which you have been showing until now”, Zakashtart replied. “And this is also valid for you, Lord Bodashtart. You are to remain here, as an advisor to Lord Elendil, for as long as he may need you.”

“I will fulfil this duty proudly, to the best of my ability!”, the old man said, his face flushed with pride for the recognition of his role. Elendil wondered what would happen if he were to say that no longer needed him.

That he would return to the Island and slander him in front of whoever cared to listen, he answered his own question. For now, it appeared that he and his father both had the favour of the Prince -the King, he reminded himself-, but if there was a knowledge that his father’s experiences, his own upbringing, and the stories about his ancestors had managed to instil in his mind, it was that the Lords of Andúnië could not allow themselves the luxury of taking any of this for granted.

And then, his mind went on, what about her favour? For all these years, he had convinced himself that she had merely felt contempt for his attempts to court her on her father’s orders, but now, he had discovered that her inscrutable countenance had hidden even more layers than he had given it credit for. If it had, however, how could he know for sure where he stood among all of them?

He rose to his feet.

“You have travelled a long way, Lord Zakashtart, and you must be exhausted”, he said, politely. “I will show you to your rooms now, and you can rest there until tonight, when I hope you will agree to dine with me.” With the help of some good wine, he would have no better chance of gathering information about what had happened in the Island. There were questions that could not be trusted to letters, no matter how private, but in an enclosed room, things could be said out of earshot of others, and their easy deniability could lure the most cautious souls into revealing more than they had intended.

The envoy nodded, even though he could probably guess Elendil’s ulterior motives. Perhaps he did not mind. Perhaps he was being too cautious, and the Prince would laugh at him if he could see him now, plotting to acquire information that might already be available to all and sundry in the Island.

But the Prince was now the King, and Elendil would take no risks.

“I will be honoured to dine with you, my lord.” the man smiled. “I have not eaten a decent meal since I left Sor, so I have high hopes for your hospitality!”

Elendil smiled back, and turned away from Lord Bodashtart before he could manage to find a way to insinuate himself into the dinner invitation as well. As he walked past the long corridors of the Arnian palace, nodding and speaking platitudes at his guest, however, his mind raced faster than a Haradric horse. A plethora of unintended images flashed across it, things which had happened months ago but remained as fiercely vivid in his memory as if he had just seen them: the Prince of the South striking the killing blow to the neck of an agonizing bull…. acclaimed fervently by thousands of soldiers, covered in battle gore, flushed from the fierce joy of victory….

If no god saved Pelargir, then I did.

Father, he thought, wishing more than ever that he could be in Andúnië, or in the Armenelos mansion, talking over a glass of cold wine without the need to watch out for unwelcome eyes and ears. Father, I hope that you know what you are doing.

 

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“Wake up! I… say… wake… up… dammit!”

His limbs shook, shivering under the cool air after the blanket had been yanked from him abruptly, and also, perhaps, from the lingering terror of his dream. Dazed, he tried to shake away the last tatters of that reality, that infinitely more vivid reality where the roaring might of the Sea dogged his steps to drag him into a watery grave, and focus on his surroundings. The first thing he noticed was that he could not move his arms; they had been pinned to the ground above his head. Letting go of a loud curse, he tried to break free, but to no avail.

“Stop struggling and I will let you go.” Malik’s voice reached him from somewhere in the darkness.

“I am awake now, you fool! I am not going to attack you, though if you do not let me go, I…”

“You what?” his friend snorted. “You still owe me a black eye and two bloodied noses, and I am still pondering whether I should go ahead and claim payment for that debt.”

“That would never have happened if you had not been so intent on shaking me awake every time!” Not even the most disadvantageous position in the world would be able to deter Isildur from arguing his point. “These dreams are an expression of my gift of foresight. As such, they are sent by Eru, to warn us of perils that lie ahead of us in the future, and you are not supposed to interfere with them!”

“That is rubbish! Eru cannot possibly want you to spend the night screaming like a girl, and neither do I.” With what Isildur guessed to be a last glare, invisible to him in this darkness, he finally let go of him and moved aside. “And it will be a poor lookout for all of us if you are dozing off tomorrow.”

“Remind me of a single time I have not been fit for duty because of a dream.”

“That is because I have always been here to wake you up as soon as they started.”

It was useless to engage in debate with the Haradrim, for all words fell on deaf ears, or so Isildur had heard from every soldier he had encountered since he set foot on the mainland. And at moments such as this, it became difficult to forget that Malik was part Haradrim. Ever since Isildur had first dreamed of the Wave, while staying in his house in Andúnië, he had reached the conclusion that those dreams were no good, and that the prized foresight of the line of Elros was no different from an inherited disease. He had already been persistent about this in the Island, but after they crossed the Great Sea, the soldiering life had made it almost impossible for Isildur to get rid of his vigilant presence at nights, and concrete arguments in favour of stealth and safety had been more likely to win the day than esoteric ones about the divine origins of his night visions.

Isildur, himself, had to confess that his heart beat so fast with the fear and terror of what unfolded before his sleeping eyes, that he never woke up without an overwhelming feeling of relief entering his body, like the first ragged breaths of a man who had been about to drown. After the dust had settled down and he was already aware of his surroundings, however, he could not help but feel guilty at his own cowardice, at his timely escape. Why was he, and his family, sent those dreams, if not to receive information that would be instrumental in helping their people? Why would they have inherited this foresight at all, if not because they were strong enough to bear the discomfort?

Even the King dreams of this Wave, he remembered saying to Malik during one of their arguments, only to receive a supremely unimpressed shrug in return.

Then, we have nothing to fear, have we? I am sure the King is better equipped than you to figure out what it means.

“Where are you going?” he heard his friend’s voice from the other side of the tent as he rose from the heap of his blankets.

“I am going to take a watch. We are close enough to enemy territory, so we should be extra vigilant.”

“It is not your turn.”

“Well, since I am awake anyway….”

A sharp noise behind him told him that Malik, too, had left his bed abruptly.

“You should sleep. I will go.”

“Stay where you are, damn you. I wish to clear my head.”

“You did not sleep yesterday, either. That is two nights in a row.”

“Neither did you”. Isildur tried to prevent himself from feeling guilty about that: if he did, Malik would detect it, and he would be lost.

“Yes, but you are the leader of this expedition, and this means that you are the one who needs to be awake tomorrow.”

This was absurd. As absurd as their arguments always were, a tiny, truthful voice spoke in his head.

“Well, then, we can both go. Or we can both stay, and trust the people who are in charge of the night watches to do their duty.”

There was no sound of movement coming from Malik’s end. Isildur sat back on his makeshift bed, wondering how his hand could not have steadied yet, though it seemed so long since he had left the dream and the towering waters behind.

“I much prefer that option”, his friend muttered at last, struggling fiercely with his own blankets.

Little by little, Isildur also forced himself to lie down, and stopped moving. He almost never had the dream twice in the same night, but once he was awake it was very difficult for him to find sleep again, if he even managed it. However, he was aware that, if he did not look at least as if he was trying hard, Malik was more than capable of knocking him unconscious.

There must be something, he thought, as he slowly relaxed against the covers, and the uneven breaths next to him gradually grew into the tell-tale even rhythm of sleep. Something I can do. Eru, I know there has to be something I can do.

When his eyes slid shut at long last, he did not have the dream again, but he saw the White Tree, the one that stood in the Outer Courtyard of the palace of Armenelos. Like a silent ghost, it hovered somewhere in the back of his consciousness until he awoke, feeling as tired as if he had not slept at all that night.

 

*     *     *     *     *    

 

Once, he had been brought to the presence of a King, and they had discussed their prophetic dreams as they faced each other in the shadows of a cluttered study. The King had mentioned a great wave that came from the West, drowning the Island in punishment for their sins, while he spoke of a darkness approaching Númenor from the East. Just as it had been in real life for both of them, their dreams had been opposed, and yet, at the same time, they had also complemented one another.

Now, that King was dead. He had been laid to rest under the Meneltarma, in the artifice of preserved sleep he had always despised, and with him his dangerous dreams of an innocent and godless past, where Men did not need to pray and sacrifice to live happy and virtuous lives. Yehimelkor had been fighting him for what amounted to the lifespan of a lesser Man, of those who dwelt in the mainland like savages. In that time, there had been many bitter words, strong condemnations, public confrontations, withdrawal of resources, and idle threats, but through all of it, he had remained sure of two things. One of them was that, in spite of his error, his impiety, and his blindness, he respected Tar Palantir, for he was a believer of lies, and yet the beauty of those lies had seemed to him worth fighting a losing battle to his very last breath. The second was that Tar Palantir, in spite of everything, had respected him back. Behind the anger and the exasperation at what he perceived to be Yehimelkor’s rebellion, there had always been that look that betrayed his recognition of a kindred spirit.

But Tar Palantir was no more. The man who stood before him had taken both his daughter and his Sceptre, and then, with the casual ease of the brutal conqueror for whom nothing could ever be sacred, he had also taken Sorontil and defiled the Cave with the fawning connivance of the High Priest. And now, at long last, he had come for Melkor.

“Look, you have to understand that we are not enemies”, he was saying, still affecting a lamb disguise which would come off soon enough. “I have always attended all major celebrations, sacrificed to the god before every campaign, and consecrated my victories to Him. As King, the first thing I have done is restore the Temple of Armenelos to its former wealth.”

“Not the first”, Yehimelkor retorted, unimpressed by the enumeration. “The first was to be joined to your cousin in incest and kill her kinsmen.”

Ar Pharazôn’s cheeks flushed a little, but he still did not rise to the provocation.

“I am the rightful King according to your religious laws. You owe me allegiance, and so did they. And yes, I am aware that marrying my cousin is a sin, but it was necessary to silence her supporters and end this rift which I sadly inherited from the misrule of my predecessor. What do I need to do to be forgiven? Tell me, and I will do it!”

“Renounce this marriage and wed a lawful wife.” Yehimelkor replied. “There is no forgiveness for a sinner who does not repent and persists in his sin.”

“You know I cannot do that.” He shook his head in irritation. “If you stopped thinking like a priest for a moment, you would understand why.”

“I cannot be anything else than what I am”.

“Well, then. You are a priest, and I am the King, so I order you to let me sacrifice in the temple which my ancestors built, paid for, and supported for hundreds of years.”

Yehimelkor withstood his glare without flinching.

“If the Temple is yours, you are free to expel me and all the priests from it, man it with your own soldiers, and sacrifice as often and as magnificently as you want.”

Now, Ar Pharazôn’s anger was boiling almost near the surface.

“This is unbelievable! You have been denouncing the late King’s absence from your festivals for decades, and now you wish to prevent me from attending?” he laughed, though not in amusement. “There is no rhyme or reason to your temerity, is it? You are just an old man who has forgotten how to bend to anyone’s will.”

“The late King did not believe in the god, but he lived righteously. You, however, are worse than him, my lord King, because you do believe in the god, and yet you live in sin.”

“I see.” Yehimelkor watched as the cold mask closed upon his opponent’s features. “Well, if we are speaking of differences between my predecessor and me, I can think of another. He often wished to kill you, and yet he did not. I, on the other hand, do not wish to kill you, but if you force me, I will.”

Many times, since he received the priesthood, Yehimelkor had been ready to sacrifice his life for the Lord of Armenelos and his Temple. And yet, as he gazed at the man who stood before him, a part of him was aware that this possibility had never been as real as it was now.

“I know.”

Suddenly, he remembered his dream about the demon rising in the mainland, and among the tatters of recollections that emerged in his mind he thought he saw something familiar, something that connected the dream with the man he was speaking to here and now. But the more he tried to isolate, to explore this connection, the more it vanished from his grasp.

Lost as he was in those dark thoughts, he did not see the soldiers approaching until they had surrounded him. They were only four, fewer than the Palace Guards who had come for him that one time, but just by looking at them once, he knew that each one of them was more dangerous than ten Guards. Those men were killers.

“I meant both things. I do not wish to kill you. Even if you do not respect me, I respect you, and I respect your office, and I have a friend who respects you even more, though he would never admit it.” His look was almost wistful now. “This is why I will not give you the chance of creating a scene down there, when I approach the altar. You will be indisposed, and unfortunately your illness will prevent you from attending.”

Yehimelkor reviewed his options, even as he took in the appearances and expressions of the soldiers. He remembered the time when the Palace Guards had seemed intimidated by his person, but there was no similar emotion to be found in their countenances now. Judging by the features of two of them, they were not even Númenóreans. On the other hand, if he tried to challenge them, nobody would ever know the truth about his death. The King would appoint another High Priest who did his bidding, and he would call it a victory. He would not lose a single night’s sleep over this.

How ironical, he thought, that Tar Palantir’s successor would be able to turn even someone like him into a good King.

“You may do as you wish today, but tomorrow, everybody will know of your sacrilege.”

“Tomorrow, you can denounce me all you want. If you still can, after I have sacrificed in your Temple.” The King shrugged. “But take heart! You will not have to suffer my presence for long. I have plans to build another temple in Armenelos and consecrate it to the Lord of Battles, for I cannot allow my favoured advocation of the Eternal King, the one who has listened to my prayers for all these years, to have no temples in the Island. Once it is finished, I shall bother you no longer.”

The Lord of Battles. The elusive remembrances returned to his mind again, where they swam in disarray as Ar Pharazôn disappeared through the doorstep. Could this be the demon from the mainland?

One of the armed Southrons turned away from him with a shrug, and sat on the floor to warm his hands in the sacred fire.

Dusk

Read Dusk

Year 3256 of the Second Age -Year 1 of the reign of Ar Zimraphel and Ar Pharazôn

 

“Please, my lord, give it to me. I will take care of it while you go inside.” The woman carried a large belly, clear evidence that she was with child, but this did not seem to faze her as she grabbed the reins of his horse. Amandil stopped in his tracks, unsure of whether he should let her do this, for his mount was always ill at ease among unknown people. She, however, advanced towards it with her gaze firmly set on its elusive black eyes, making strange sounds with her mouth. When it finally submitted to her touch, she scratched its forehead with a smile, and called for her son to bring something to eat.

Of course, he thought wryly, berating himself for his moment of doubt. She is Ashad’s daughter, after all.

The house, from the porch outside to the hearth within, was so crowded with people that it did not seem as if it would be possible to accommodate one more, or even negotiate a path through that throng. Briefly peeking through one of the windows, he saw that some of those who stood inside were family, as far as he could tell between his memory and his instinct to recognize tell-tale traces of mixed ancestry. Others appeared to be their wives and husbands from the village, but at least as many more had to be villagers with secondary or no kinship ties with the man who lay there. They spoke in low voices, unwilling to disturb the sickbed, but as he walked around the house from the back, he was able to hear part of their conversation.

“He is still so young!”

“No, he is not! Among his people, he would be a very old man. Did you see how old he looked? Last time I saw him, he could not even walk anymore!”

“But he has been living here for all his life! When our ancestors sailed across the Great Sea and settled in the Land of Gift, their lives were extended upon setting foot on its blessed shores. Why not his?”

“That is not the same! He was born of a kind who has always lived under the shadow of Mordor. Have you ever seen a barbarian in the capital? They all remain short lived, too!”

“How dare you call him a barbarian! You are in his house, receiving the hospitality of his family!”

“Sssshhhh!” a man’s voice, also familiar to Amandil but whose owner he could not distinguish, hissed at them. “Will you keep your voices down? If he is asleep, you will wake him up!”

At this, everybody fell silent again, and he almost felt embarrassed for having to speak aloud, but it could not be avoided anymore. He had reached the porch outside the main entrance while they argued, and no one had noticed his arrival yet.

“I am here to visit Ashad.”

An elderly woman who held a cup of warm wine between her fingers was the first to turn her head in his direction, then the man who sat by her side, and then a young woman tugged at the elbow of a young man who stood beside her. Soon enough, everyone was staring at him, and little afterwards those who had been sitting were struggling to their feet, while those who remained standing tried to bow, but in such a cramped space such manoeuvring was trickier than getting a warfleet up the Agathurush. People stepped on each other’s toes and pushed, chairs made noise as they were dragged through the floor, and Amandil winced.

“Stay where you are, all of you! I only need to pass through.”

“Thank you for coming, my lord.” The owner of the voice he had heard before, Ashad’s eldest son, beckoned him from where he stood, next to the door of Ashad’s sleeping chamber. “I will take you to him, but first, may I ask you to come to the kitchen with me?”

Assuming that Ashad would be asleep, and that this was just a polite way of denying him entrance, Amandil nodded and walked across the room, greeting people, holding hands and smiling back with an effortless ease he had perfected through the years.

The house’s kitchen was perhaps the most chaotic place he had seen in his life. Dirty dishes, trays, and above all, glasses, were piled upon one another, covering almost all the available space. A wooden table at the opposite corner of the room was entirely occupied by clay jars filled with mixed wine, which exuded a strong smell of spice, and four or five women of different ages were sitting in a circle around it. The moment they saw them enter, their talk ceased abruptly, and the youngest among them dropped the cup she was holding.

“What are you doing, you foolish girl? You look like you just saw a ghost enter the kitchen! That is the lord Amandil, not the Dark Lord Sauron!” an older woman berated her. “Oh, excuse her, my lord. Do you want some wine?”

“Is there any cold wine?” Amandil asked hopefully. He had been riding for the best part of the day, and he had to admit that he was feeling quite thirsty.

“Thanks, my dear”, Ashad’s son nodded at her with a brief smile, as the woman stood up and went to find a clean cup. Then, however, he turned to face Amandil again. “My lord, I am very grateful that you are taking time away from your many important duties to travel this far to our humble abode. In behalf of our father, I… no, we all wish to thank you for your kindness. For all these years, he has always spoken so often and so highly of you, that even now, I feel as if I know you as well as I know my own grandfather. Not that I wish to imply that I… well, that you…”

“I understand what you mean”, Amandil reassured him before the thread of his speech became lost over this point. “Please, go on.”

Ashad’s eldest son fell silent. Doing his best not to drink the cup in a single gulp, the lord of Andúnië swallowed about half of it while he scrutinized the man before him. He was still nervous, he noticed.

“Well, the thing is… that it has been very hard, especially in this last month. Not because of the frailty in his body, because there are more than enough of us to take care of all his needs and ease his passing, but… there is his mind, too.”

His mind. Unexpectedly, Amandil had to push unpleasant memories of Magon the Elder away from his mind, during that terrible year he had spent in the makeshift fort among the ruins of Pelargir.

“He is not… deranged, or mad, or anything, my lord. But he has forgotten many things. He has forgotten the faces of all the people he does not see every day, and most of his own life. When he speaks, it is usually about his childhood. Even things… people… that he had never mentioned to any of us before, not even to Mother.”

“I see.” This was no idle expression of assent; and as such, it was not spoken light-heartedly. Amandil felt that he could even guess part of what he had not been told, of what was inspiring this degree of discomfort in his interlocutor’s mood. “Listen to me. If you believe that seeing me will not do him good, I will be content to gaze at him while he is asleep, and ride back to Andúnië.”

The shifty gaze became an incredulous stare.

“That is out of the question! My lord, you came all the way here…”

Then, what is your point? he would have asked, if the man’s father had not been agonizing in a nearby bed. He drank again.

“Precisely. What purpose would there be in coming all the way here only to make a dying man even more uncomfortable? What kind of servant of the Enemy would do that?”

“As I see it, there are two options.” The woman had approached them again, with the excuse of refilling his now empty cup, but she did not seem embarrassed for having overheard their conversation, not even for interrupting it now. “He could be happy to see you, and then your journey would not have been in vain. Or he could also be upset by your presence, and then you would leave, and he would fall asleep again, and forget that you were ever here. He would probably think that he had dreamed it, poor man. I believe that what my husband is trying to do is to prevent you from being uncomfortable, my lord.”

“Well, in that case, I will see him.” Amandil was fast, before the man could relapse into his former indecision. “As soon as he is ready.”

The gaze was lowered, until it became thoughtfully fixed on a piece of broken clay that the girl had forgotten to collect when she mopped up her mess.

“As you wish, my lord.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The room was warm and smelled of closed space, with a slightly pungent tinge of herb. Less evident, but also present, was another scent which was difficult to define, one he had also detected in Magon’s room years ago, and in his own mother’s deathbed. The scent of decay, he thought, wistfully.

What he could perceive with his nose, however, was not the most unsettling thing that awaited him behind that door. He had seen Ashad grow old for many years, but this had not prepared him for the sight that was offered to his eyes now. Ever since his childhood, the Haradric boy had been shorter and slighter of build than most Númenóreans, but his arms and legs had been sinewy and strong. Now, he had lost all his muscle, and little else but skin and bones remained. His face, too, looked thinner and longer, which made his dark eyes appear much larger by contrast, almost as if they were protruding from their sockets. He was leaning against his wife for the support that he needed to remain in anything other than a prone position, and somehow, in spite of the fact that old age had caught up with him much earlier and that she, unlike him, retained her youthful looks, the sight reminded Amandil of a mother holding her child.

As if from a distant place, memories of his mother came to him, lying on that bed under the eerie moonlight of Rómenna. Long life, short life…they were all sides of the same coin, he mused darkly, for in the end, it all boiled down to this. And if the Land of Gift gave different lifespans to its inhabitants, that gift was nothing but a curse, as much as the blood that flowed through his own veins, keeping him young even as his own wife was fated to pass away and crumble to dust.

“Ashad”, he spoke, tentatively. The man in the sickbed stared at him, his face growing livid, and he began shaking in alarm, in spite of Amal’s reassuring whispers.

“They are here”, he said in a hoarse, broken voice. “The N… the Númenóreans. Mother, they are here. Mother, you have to hide.”

“I am sorry, my lord” he heard behind his back, though he could not bring himself to pay much attention. “I was afraid it would be like this… he means nothing by it…”

Amal did not even look at him, as trying to calm Ashad down required most of her attention.

“Ssssh. We are safe here. We are safe, I promise. No Númenóreans will harm us. Ssshhh.”

Amandil swallowed the knot in his throat. Memories of Magon, even of his dying mother, were something that he could withstand; they might bring contempt or they might bring sadness, but always for others, and he was merely a spectator, standing outside of the circle to gaze into it.

“Ashad”, he tried again, advancing two, three careful steps until he was by the edge of the bed. The old man’s fear would not go away; instead, it was quickly growing into full terror. This was especially poignant because, even as a child, Amandil could not remember Ashad acting like this in front of others. That fateful night, amid the smoke and the scattered corpses, he had not seen his hand tremble once. All of a sudden, Amandil realized that those memories he had never revisited held details that he thought he had forgotten, like how a child of five, six at the most, had charged at a Númenórean soldier with a knife. Or how, if the blade had not rebounded against the kneecap, this attack could have left the man lame for the rest of his life.

“Curse you, bastard sons of mangy dogs, may El bring you the plague and rot you from the inside out!” he yelled in his own dialect, with an admirable command of its most colourful turns, which was not even affected by being pinned to the ground.

“Do we kill him?”

“No, leave him alone. He is too young to be a threat.”

“Oh, is he, now? My leg is still bleeding!” The angry soldier crouched until the child’s face was inches away from his. “Who taught you to do that, you little monster?”

“My father”, the child replied, in mangled Adûnaic this time. “He kill two times six Númenórean warmen.” Then, without prior warning, he spat on the man’s face.

Amandil shivered, forcing himself to return to the present. In the small, foul smelling bedroom of a village house, to the West of the Great Sea, Ashad’s agitation did not give signs of subsiding. All the emotions that he had kept tightly in check back then seemed to have been brought forth to the surface, at long last.

The gifts given to Men were too bountiful to count, the lord of Andúnië thought, in bitter sarcasm. Diverging lifespans to make them ultimately alien to each other, death, which hung like a dark cloud, waiting to take loved ones away to a place from where they could never return, and the greatest of all, old age, to rob a man of every drop of dignity he had always tried to keep despite the most terrible circumstances. Since he was but a child, Ashad had strived to ensure that no one saw him like this, no, that no one even knew about this – and now, his efforts had all proved vain.

Then again, a tiny, conscientious voice that sounded suspiciously like his father whispered inside him, isn’t there, perhaps, something good in this naked truth, too? For dignity belonged to the world of appearances, like yet another layer of armour designed to keep their soft flesh from exposure. But, after all was said and done, men also needed the truth, as painful as it might be sometimes. They may not like it, they may not want it, but they still needed it.

“Ashad”, he spoke more firmly, edging closer to the old man, and repeating the motions that he remembered. “I am not armed. We have laid down our weapons, as we swore in our treaty. Remember the treaty?”

For the first time, Ashad’s countenance showed some emotion other than fear. His brow creased in momentary puzzlement, like a boy who had forgotten his lessons. Seizing this opening, Amal kissed his forehead, and whispered something in his ear.

“I…” he began. “I swore…”

“Yes, you swore it, and I did, too”, Amandil insisted. The woman caressed a strand of matted white hair away from her husband’s eye and looked at him in curiosity, though he could not tell if it was real, or feigned for Ashad’s benefit.

“What did you swear, my love?”

“That he would not bear arms against Númenor, whether they be a sword, a bow, a spear, or a kitchen knife. Or a stone, I believe that was part of the oath too.” Amandil recalled, slowly. The child had taken it as seriously as if he had been an adult. “Yes, I am sure of that, because you frowned for days, and looked miserable, and yet you could not find a loophole.”

“A stone.” Ashad repeated. Then, all of a sudden, he shook his head ruefully, as if he could remember something. “No.”

“The oath also said that you would be well-behaved and courteous and not spit in anyone’s face.”

“And, did you fulfil it, dear?”

“I do. I always do.” There it was, the scowl he had not seen for so many decades. “But not them.”

“I know.” Aware that he could press his advantage, Amandil sat even closer, and held his hand in his. It weighted so little that he wanted to weep. “It was… it is their fault. You have nothing to fear, Ashad. I swore that you would be safe as an ally of Númenor. And you will. Until the day you…until they day you die.”

He could barely manage to finish the sentence without his voice breaking. When Ashad nodded at his words, as solemnly as only a child would, he forced himself to withstand his glance, until the fear was banished at last.

This instant of peace and recognition, however, lasted but briefly. Mere instants later, the old man’s eyelids began to droop, and Amal let his head rest on the pillows. Even after he had fallen asleep, her caresses did not stop, as if she was trying to touch him as much as she could, to feel his body, his skin, before it all vanished from her grasp.

“Do not think too ill of me”, he spoke, after a long silence. “The Haradrim… all of them, but most of all those who have long-standing alliances with Mordor, are fierce and cruel enemies. Sometimes, it is not possible to keep the warriors apart from the common folk, because even their common folk are warriors. Even their women, more often than not… “His voice trailed away for a moment, as he became aware that he was rambling, in a way that did not become the dignity of a lord of Andúnië. The words, however, would not stop coming. “In the Middle Havens, there was a woman I knew. From the North. She was like a second mother to him, and she wanted him to stay with her when I was called back to the Island, but he refused. He stole my horse and tried to board my ship on his own because he was so determined to come to Númenor.”

“He was determined to follow you.” By this point, he did not even expect her to reply, so he was surprised by the sound of her voice. “He could not care less about Númenor, my lord. He hates ships, and he hates islands, which are nothing but bigger ships to him. He used to say that we had to be insane to settle in a place where water surrounded us on all sides. Do you know that, even after eighty years of living here, he still remains convinced that we are drifting away across the Great Sea with the current?”

He nodded, with a tentative smile. Apparently, he was not the only one who wanted to talk.

“He has been happy here. We have loved each other dearly, and together we had all those children and grandchildren, who were the joy of our lives. He gained the admiration and respect of the entire village, look at them crowding our doorstep now! And though it seems brief to me, for the standards of his people he has lived a long and productive life. If he had stayed in Harad, how could he have met me? How could he have met all these people? Who knows at what age he might have died, what perils would have awaited him in the mainland?”

You might have still met him once he was older, if he had been taken to Armenelos for execution, Amandil mused. This train of thought, however, did not provide as much comfort as might have been expected.

“I see your point. But trying to convince myself that I did a good deed because I prevented something worse from happening does not raise my spirit to a higher plane of righteousness”, he confessed. “The man who raised me used to say that bad deeds were bad deeds, and good deeds were good deeds, regardless of the consequences that may be derived from them.”

And this was far from being the only instance in which he had trampled on the teachings of the priest, he thought guiltily, his mind clouded by more recent visions of Hiram’s accusing stare, Valacar’s corpse, the King and the Queen mating in the shadows of the Cave under the fervorous chants of the multitude.

“I am sure that your noble father is full of wisdom.” He did not correct her mistake. “But I have been happy, and so has he, and we owe it to you, my lord.”

“And you do not regret it, even now?” He did not know what had possessed him to ask this question, but she seemed neither upset nor offended.

“No.” Slowly, and very careful not to wake him, she kissed the wrinkles in the old man’s forehead. “Not even now.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

When Amandil left the room, he was feeling as drained as if he had just crossed a desert with the enemy at his heels. His long years of training barely managed to come the rescue as he was surrounded by people who came to pay his respects, ask questions and express concerns, and who seemed bent in preventing him from ever leaving the place. He was offered hospitality in about a dozen houses, and though he was aware that the only alternative was to either spend the night under a tree in the field, or in one of Ar Adunakhôr’s abandoned roadside inns, he declined all the invitations, and finally extricated himself from their company long enough to find his way to the field at the back of the house.

His horse, which had been tethered there after he left, was busy grazing at the weeds that grew around the area. As he approached it, however, he realized that a second horse was grazing next to it, a grey mare which had not been there before. Startled, he looked around, wondering how tired he had to be to be taken by surprise as easily as this.

Then, he saw him.

“Father! What on Earth are you doing here?”

“If by ‘here’ you mean Ashad’s house, I was told that this is where I could find you, and I had a feeling that it would not be easy for you to face what lay inside”, Númendil replied. He was wearing a travelling cloak, whose folds billowed in the late afternoon breeze. “If you mean Númenor, we laid anchor in the harbour of Andúnië this very morning, and narrowly missed you.”

We?” Amandil felt his temper rise, as it often did when he found himself face to face with this exasperatingly calm man. “What do you mean, we? I told you that you should not bring any of your esteemed friends to the Island anymore!” Even though nobody who could betray them was listening, prudence was an ingrained habit of his past which had returned in full force after the last year. “Things have changed now, you know that, and I cannot be responsible for their safety! My dear neighbour, the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay, is waiting for an opening to introduce dissension between Andúnië and Armenelos, and I would not put it past him to have spies around the place. Not to speak of the fact that the North cape, which you doubled on your way here, is teeming with the King’s soldiers now. It would merely take one slip, one accident, for their lives to be on my conscience, and I cannot…”

Since he had claimed the Sceptre by marrying his cousin, the King had been keener than ever to demonize Elves and anything connected to them. He and his party claimed, with varied degrees of success, that extending incest to first cousins was an Elvish custom which had contaminated Númenor, while remaining largely unknown to the Men of Middle-Earth. Associating with Elves had been considered treasonous since the time of Ar Adunakhôr, and though Tar Palantir had abolished those decrees, now they had been restored anew.

“I am sorry. It will not happen again”, Númendil cut his tirade serenely. “But they had a very important cargo to deliver, and they needed to see to its safety in person.”

“Important cargo? What is so important?”

“First of all, me. I have come to Númenor to stay, for I am done with the duty that the Former King entrusted to me, and if I stayed in Lindon any longer, it would be merely out of selfishness.” Amandil made as if to open his mouth, but his father had not finished. “And they also brought seven Seeing Stones.”

“Seven…?” He had heard of the Palantíri before, and he had some vague idea that Andúnië used to have one, which his father took to Middle-Earth to him, but that was the farthest that his knowledge extended. “Why so many?”

“I only had one Stone to bring back home”, Númendil set to the task of untethering one horse, then the other, as if it was something that he did every day. “The Elves, however, have more at their disposition, and they were gracious enough to offer the rest to me as a present in these dark times. With them, we can speak to each other without fear of being intercepted or overheard, no matter how far apart we are. From the West of the Andustar to the East of Arne, we will not have to disguise our words or look for spies.”

“Oh.” Amandil thought of Elendil, of how his letters had suddenly become like dispatches sent by a stranger, as if his son was suspicious of a danger that he could not put into words. “Thanks, Father. But you did not have to come back. You…” He wondered how to put it without being misunderstood, then remembered who it was who stood before him. Not his wife, not his grandchildren, not his daughter-in-law or any of his people, but the only man who could see inside him and never blame him for anything that he saw. “You have suffered enough here. I can deal with this situation on my own, and you had every right to be selfish for once and follow nothing but the wishes of your heart.”

“My heart told me to return to your side and lend you my aid, to the best of my ability.” Númendil handed him the reins of his horse. Amandil looked away, touched and exasperated at the same time.

“It is difficult enough to wake every morning wondering if I made the right choice to protect my wife, my son and my grandchildren, to have to add my father to the list.”

“You made the right choice.” Númendil’s grey eyes stared deeply into his, without blinking. If not for the intensity of his gaze, Amandil thought, he could have been mistaken for an old statue, of those that lay scattered about the gardens of Andúnië. “Darkness is coming for Númenor, but you have protected us from it, for the time being.”

Amandil felt a chill cross his spine, which was not entirely caused by the declining sunrays.

“Your foresight is an ominous brand of comfort, Father. I do not know if I wish to believe in it.”

“I envy your ability to choose whether to believe in it or not. And most of all, I envy your son for not being cursed with it. Only those like him can achieve true greatness.”

“Like the King of Númenor, then.”

“Perhaps. Then again, the Queen sees many things, more than even the Elves do, and he is aware of some of them. Theirs is a formidable alliance.”

“And yet you think that I made the right choice by helping deliver the Sceptre to him.”

“It would have been useless folly to oppose him. Folly, and treason. The will of Ilúvatar put him in your path when you were a boy for a reason. Such a fated friendship as you two share should not be lightly thrown aside.”

Fate. Friendship. Two things he believed in less now than he ever had in his life. As he saw it, the only way for his father’s words to come true was that, somehow, Pharazôn could still believe in them more than he did, like back when Amandil forced him to swear by gods that he himself thought to be false. But he was aware that it was too much to expect.

“You are not the first person today to tell me that my actions were good because of their consequences. Back then, as well as now, I cannot help but remember the priest who taught me that actions were good or bad by themselves, regardless of what happened afterwards.”

“But actions do not stand by themselves, my son, even if you should take away their consequences. They are reactions to other actions, and perhaps if we had the immortal mind of the Ainur, we would be able to trace the chain all the way to the Marring of Arda. The people of the Island wanted a warrior to take the Sceptre and scorned a woman’s birthright, because they are bent on conquest and dominion, and because they wished to return to the fold of their outlandish gods. But this way of thinking goes back to the reign of a man who won a war against our ancestors by becoming the earthly embodiment of the corrupted Vala Melkor, who was already worshipped by the wild men of the mainland when none of us was yet born. And as for the other issue tormenting you, it is no different. Our people has been conquering and colonizing the mainland for centuries, and this made the natives hate us and wage war on us. When the Dark Lord came, promising them victory, they were eager to join hands with him. But you were not there when the first Númenórean killed the first tribesman and left him dead upon the soil of Harad, or when they struck deals with Mordor and attacked Númenórean outposts and caravans. You did not even sail to the mainland by your own choice, but by the machinations of those who saw our family as a threat and plotted to kill you. In the middle of this, however, you performed one action which was entirely your own: you took pity on this child, and raised him, and brought him to Númenor with you.”

“My own? How can you be sure it was not a higher fate which threw him in my path, like Pharazôn in the temple villa?” Amandil used sarcasm to cover his inner turmoil. “Couldn’t he have been predestined to marry Amal, and bring the blood of the Haradrim into Númenor? Perhaps one day, a great king or a great hero will be born to their lineage, and they will save something or someone.”

Númendil did not seem affected by his mockery. In fact, for a moment, it seemed to Amandil that he had been distracted by some sort of realization, because his eyes widened and he briefly looked down, as if pondering something.

“What did you see now?” he asked, feigning nonchalance. Númendil shook his head.

“Nothing. I was… remembering the history of Númenor, and of our own bloodline. The first King to hold the Sceptre in this Island, Elros Tar Minyatur, also survived a sack as a child, and he was taken to be raised by the enemy. If he had not, he would never have grown to adulthood, and then Númenor and its royal line would not exist, and neither you nor I would be standing here over three thousand years later. It seems such a great enormity to us, that we would not even be able to imagine the world if this had not happened, and yet back then, it would have been nothing but a choice like any other, for the people involved.”

He recalled that story vaguely, one of the later episodes of the convoluted War of the Jewels in the First Age.

“I guess so. But, wouldn’t the same have been achieved if the sack had not taken place?”

“Only then the Silmaril would never have reached Valinor, and Morgoth might still rule over Middle-Earth.”

“Then, at least we might have been spared his worshippers.” Amandil shrugged flippantly. He was not in the mood to discuss old lore, especially when it was so obvious to him that his father was using it as a smokescreen to hide his true thoughts. “If we leave now, we will have time to reach one of the roadside inns before we cannot see an inch further from our noses. Unless you prefer to stay here and do the honours to this people’s hospitality.”

Númendil shook his head. There was a strange, rueful look in his eye.

“I believe that we should depart. They will be busy with the funeral tomorrow, and we will only get in the way.”

“But Ashad was still alive when I…” The words became stuck in Amandil’s throat, and he froze. He felt his father’s hand, shaking a little as it was laid against his shoulder, and all of a sudden he knew, though he did not know how or why, that Ashad had closed his eyes for the last time before he departed, that his father had seen it in one of his visions, and that this was the only reason why he had ridden into the middle of nowhere to be by his side at this moment. Slowly but surely the anger, the frustration, began to seep off him, leaving nothing but a melancholy sadness in its wake.

Beyond the roofs of the village houses, there where the Western Sea lay invisible to their eyes, the setting sun had turned into a ball of red fire.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Zimraphel allowed her forehead to rest against the ivory lattice of the window, feeling relief as its coolness was pressed against the pulsating heat of her skin. Focus. She needed to focus, and the chatter of the miserable beings who crowded around her all day, the tarnished mosaic of their broken thoughts, their sad hopes and ambitions and their dull fates did not help. As Queen, she could send them away with a word, but sooner or later they would return, and then it would always begin anew.

Mother. That voice was driving her to madness above all the others, and she could not send it away. She tried to silence it, but weak and miserable though it was, she could still hear it.

Be silent. You are dead.

“Zimraphel.”

The Queen did not move, not even to acknowledge the presence behind her.

“Zimraphel, I just came back from Forostar, and I heard that you were not feeling well…”

Her brow creased in fury.

“Were you listening to people’s gossip about me? And pray, what did they tell you that I could not have told you myself?”

“I am sorry.”

Reluctantly, she turned to face him. She did not want to see the love in his eyes. It was the last thing that she needed right now.

She needed her anger. Anger made things easier.

“You look ill. I can see it even with the eyes on my face.”

“What do you expect?” she hissed. “All those councilmen and their aides surrounding me, smothering me with their anger, their contempt, their petty frustrations! I hate them all!”

Pharazôn sighed, laying a hand on each side of her face to make her look at him.

“I know that it cannot be easy for you. But if you could grow used to the people who are around you in the Palace, I am sure that you will grow used to them, too. They are merely a little… louder.”

“They hate me.”

“Of course not.” His eyes, however, told a different story, and he was not so good at this as he believed himself to be.

“They have complained about me. To you.”

Now, he tried to kiss her, but she turned her face away. He cursed between his teeth.

“If you know about that, then I am sure you also know where I told them they could stick their complaints.”

“But you agree with them.”

She had not seen this, but the guilty expression in his face told her that her guess had been not far off the mark. Eager to seize an excuse to channel her displeasure, she snorted, slipping away from his arms and storming away to sit on the bed.

“Listen to me, Zimraphel. You grew up learning how to pretend, around your father, your…” He did not feel like he could safely say the word “mother”, not yet, “your nurse, your ladies, your first husband even. This is merely one more challenge. They say that you sit there but that you pay no attention to their words, and that you approve or deny their requests on a whim, without giving any reasons. If you engaged them a little more…”

“Do you want me to give them my reasons?” Her voice was so low that it should be impossible to hear across the room, but she knew that, in spite of that, it would carry across the distance and reach him. “Excuse me if I seem distracted, lord governor, I have just seen forty-seven men drowned in a shipwreck because this idiot that you want to promote was determined to send the reinforcements to the Middle Havens during the storm season three years from now. They have been washed upon the shore of Rómenna after ten days, their eyes eaten by fish.”

He did not answer; instead, he walked towards the bed to sit next to her. For a while, the room was plunged in silence, and the voice that she had been seeking to drown seized the opportunity to redouble its pitiful cries.

Mother. Mother.

Silence, she ordered. Silence.

“Perhaps you could invent different reasons.”

“Or perhaps I could tell them the truth” she retorted. “Why not? The common people are in awe of me because I look like the Queen of the Seas, and they do not question my authority. If the lords of the Council were in awe of me, they would not question my authority, either.”

“Perhaps.” He did not sound very convinced, and all of a sudden, she felt angry.

“Why is it appropriate for you to inspire fear, while I have to force myself to appear harmless before men who feel nothing but contempt for me? Am I the Queen, or not?”

“Being or not being the Queen has nothing to do with it!” Pharazôn exclaimed, as if outraged at her assumption. “But war and intrigue… those are things that everybody can understand, Zimraphel. The lords in the Council can think that, as long as they do not invoke my displeasure, all will be well, and this leads to peace in the Island. Your power, however, would inspire nothing but mindless terror, for it is not subject to any of the laws of men. For the common people, you are a goddess, but for them, you would be… they might start seeing you as…”

“A monster”, she finished for him. He had not intended to utter the word, but it had been there, in the very centre of his conscious mind. “Is that what you think, too?”

That last thing had been unfair, because she knew that it was not true, and she had only said it to wound him. When he embraced her, however, whispering things in her ear, she felt as if she was miles away from him, as if the roaring chasm of the Great Sea stood between them and she could not feel him against her nor hear his voice.

Suddenly, she saw herself standing in the crest of a large wave, an instant before it crashed against the peak of the snow-covered mountain. The world turned around her, and she stood up, disengaging herself from Pharazôn just in time before she vomited on the basin under the bed.

“You said it yourself. I am ill”, she shot back at his inquiring glance, in a strange, hoarse voice that did not seem like her own. Shaking, she forced her hands to steady.

“Zimraphel… are you…?”

“No.” Her tone was colder than the snow of her vision. “I am not.”

Mother.

“Are you sure?” he insisted, undeterred. The hope in his voice burned her horribly, and all that she wanted to do was to curl in a dark place, away from it. “I heard a story that the… former Princess of the West did not know she was with child, until my mother told her. What if…?”

It was the first time that her mother had been mentioned in her presence for a year, even under the disguise of a title.

“My mother was a foolish woman, and she was blind to many things. If you, knowing me as you do, can possibly think that I would not be aware of something like this, then I guess I am safe from being considered a monster, for the lords of the Council will never believe a single claim that comes from my mouth.” Somewhat dizzily, she struggled to her feet, searching for the towel to wipe her face.

He handed it to her.

“Perhaps you do know, and yet you wish to keep it from me.” As he set his accusing gaze on hers, his mind swirled with memories of that dead child that a dirty Palace rumour had attributed to her, back when she was still married to Vorondil. Faced with the confirmation that he had never believed her as fully as he had claimed, her anger rose again.

“If I have ever kept anything from you, it has never been with evil intent” she declared, her fists balled under her sleeves. “I may be a monster, but I love you. If you only knew… if you could only see…”

“Know what?” he asked, disconcerted. But her voice was broken, and the traitorous tears would not stop flowing. Unable to face him in this state, she turned away, and stormed away from the room.

The men in the Council were right. High Priest Yehimelkor was right. She was a monster, who could not even carry a child to term. It would have to take a greater monster than herself to help her succeed in this task – but for all those who had perished, it would be too late.

Three days later, the voice fell silent.

 

The Women's Court

Read The Women's Court

“Mother, look!”

Eluzîni leaned on the railing, gazing ahead towards the spot where her daughter was pointing in excitement. Since they had departed from Pelargir that morning, the river had kept changing before their eyes. It had grown narrower than it had been in its lower course, and its banks gradually covered in a wild and abundant vegetation, which made it difficult to see anything of the land they were crossing. Now and then, a fragile wood structure that vaguely resembled a landing would come into view, teeming with the small boats of the river folk, and once or twice they had even caught sight of a Middle-Earth barbarian, staring at their ornate barge in shocked surprise. The speed at which they were travelling, however, did not leave them the chance to explore any of those things at leisure, and their curiosity had remained largely unsatisfied.

Now, at last, it seemed that this was about to change. What Ilmarë had seen upriver was a large pier, too large to be a mere boat landing, though still smaller than a Númenórean harbour. Rows of barges, some of them as long as their own, lay anchored there, and the docks were crowded with people. As they approached further, they could also distinguish what looked like a bustling port city, built on the slope of a hill that commanded what should be an impressive view of the Anduin from its topmost height.

“So, they have towns here! I was beginning to wonder”, Eluzîni remarked. “It seems that we will not have to live in tents, after all.”

“I would have liked to live on a tent”, Ilmarë sighed, looking for a moment as if she was truly disappointed. Only an instant later, however, her expression brightened again. “Look at all those people! They must be the barbarians, but oh my, what are they wearing? Is the fashion in Arne to take your gaudiest clothes, mix them up and wear them all at once? How funny! May I borrow your red robe to wear it over my green dress when we land?”

“No, you may not. You already look gaudy enough for a Numenórean lady, which is what you are. Oh, there is your father!”

It was not too difficult to spot him, even from a distance, as he always stood the tallest among the crowd, whether he was surrounded by Númenóreans or Arnians. Eluzîni sought his features with her glance, almost hungrily, leaning on the railing as much as she could without transgressing on the norms of propriety. It was over two years now since they had seen each other last, a short span of time in the life of a Númenórean from the line of Indilzar, and yet, to her, those years had been as long as they might appear to the short-lived folk who inhabited this land. In fact, it might have been her imagination, but even from that distance he looked different to her eyes, as if he had been dwelling in Middle-Earth for twenty years instead of two. His gaze seemed clearer, his features sharper, and something in his pose as he stood there, talking to this man or the other, told her that his old clumsiness, that endearing inability to know what to do with his impossibly long limbs whenever he was not practicing with a sword, was not there anymore.

So, that was all that it took, she thought, for a moment unable to know whether she wanted to laugh or cry. An entire kingdom of eyes fixed on you for two years.

Now, those same eyes would all be fixed on her as well, and on her daughter, who appeared more than eager to take up that challenge. As the barge was manoeuvring in the waters of the pier, she was already basking in the universal attention, smiling, waving at this or that man from the crowd that she remembered from Andúnië. She reminded Eluzîni so much of herself in her youth, that she did not have the heart to tell her to stop that undignified behaviour. After all, she had never stopped when they told her to, either, so what would be the point?

The plank too so much time to be properly set, that there was a point when even she was infected by Ilmarë’s impatience, and started pondering what would happen if they should just jump away from this floating prison. After she expressed her displeasure, however, the rhythm of the proceedings grew faster, and finally she and her daughter could step away from the barge and greet the party that stood ashore.

“Welcome to Arne, my ladies”, an old man -probably the Lord Bodashtart of her husband’s letters- greeted them with an obsequious bow. She smiled at him, hiding her disorientation at the onslaught of new sights, sounds and smells behind a flawless courtesy. Almost all the men who stood close were from Númenor, and many of them she knew, but as soon as her gaze wandered even slightly, he saw unfamiliar features crowding around them, trying to catch a glimpse of her, of men and women who were shorter and slighter of build than any she had ever seen. As Ilmarë had pointed out, their clothes were impossibly gaudy, especially those of the women, who wore colourful veils in spite of the heat. The men, too, wore what looked like formal clothes, too long and heavy for the weather, and the pungent smell of human sweat assaulted her nostrils the closer they drew to her.

Trying to ignore the unpleasantness with the dignity of a scion of Númenórean royalty, Eluzîni walked over to her husband. As she did so, the air was filled with whispers in several languages, some of which she could understand, some of which were nothing but gibberish to her ears.

“My husband, it has been a long time, but finally the kindness of the King and the Queen has allowed us to be reunited” she spoke formally. “May the Valar bless them in their Palace of Armenelos, and may they also bless our new life in Arne with peace and prosperity.”

Elendil smiled - something which she had not expected.

“My wife, I have been blessed already by your presence.” Ilmarë approached them, and Eluzîni held her back by discreetly grabbing her arm, afraid that she might do something impulsive in front of all those people. “And my daughter is here too, so now my blessings are complete. I thank the Valar, the King and the Queen from the depths of my heart.”

Both the Númenóreans and the barbarians who stood around them looked suitably impressed. Some of them nodded in agreement at their words, while others sought the eyes of their companions to exchange knowing glances. As for the women, many of them looked touched -one or two to the point of tears-, though others appeared more interested in dissecting her appearance with their gazes, especially three who wore strange, translucent veils over their faces, and dresses which were embroidered with gold thread. The famous Women’s Court, she thought, more curious than intimidated.

“I am very glad to see you, Father”, Ilmarë spoke, laying her doubts about her ability to step up to the occasion at rest. She carried herself with perfect dignity, standing tall among all those strangers and keeping her emotions at bay. Eluzîni could only detect a small current of uneasiness bubbling below the surface of her composure, and when she saw the shift in her glance, as if searching for something around them, she suddenly understood why. But this was not the time or the place for either questions or personal conversations, so she forced her mind to discard the thought, and allowed herself to be led away from the riverside.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The journey to the stronghold of Arne proved to be the one of the cruellest tortures ever devised. For the Arnian people, their progress through their lands seemed to be a most momentous occasion, and they came forth from their villages and houses to catch a glimpse of their party, crowding fields, roads, and even the steep, stone-paved streets of the capital city, as if the Queen herself had arrived from beyond the Sea. From her litter, Eluzîni could not help but feel a little flattered at the spectacle, for not even in her better years at the Court had she ever managed to command this level of attention. This pride, however, was soon overshadowed by frustration for her inability to find a single personal moment with her husband. After they arrived to the Palace -a smaller and far less impressive building than the Palace of Armenelos on the outside, but surprisingly meandering and labyrinthic in the inside,  where every single inch of space seemed to be covered in statues, paintings, mosaics, fountains, embroidered silks and every other kind of luxurious item that existed in the world-, she was taken to meet many people, who all bowed obsequiously at her. Then, both she and Ilmarë were taken down more meandering corridors to their new quarters, in the centre of the women’s wing of the Palace, where they were introduced to many women who would live there with them, and whose only mission in life, they claimed, was to serve them in everything that they wished. Eluzîni nodded gratefully at this, as she was expected to, though she was too well acquainted with the Court of Armenelos as to be anything but sceptical.

Then, the women began piling gaudy dresses upon gaudier veils before them, and told them that they had to get ready for the feast in their honour. As well as she could, Eluzîni restrained her daughter from openly showing her disgust at the clothes, and expressed her wish to be clad in the finery she had brought with her from the Island. Her request was met with general disapproval, shown here and there in the subtlest possible ways. Above all the other things, the face veil became the cause of a virulent show of passive resistance by an elderly woman whose Adûnaic rolled off her tongue in a particularly disagreeable manner. To wear it when outside the women’s quarters was a mark of status that distinguished the ladies from the Women’s Court from their less fortunate counterparts, who had no access to the Royal Palace. Ilmarë laughed as if this was the funniest thing she had ever heard, and asked if they would mistake her for a peasant if she did not wear it. Eluzîni, more mindful of diplomacy, rebuked her for this, but she still told the woman, in no uncertain terms, that she would not wear anything but the Númenórean clothing she had brought with her, and that this included the veil. As they were escorted towards the ceremony, she suspected that she had managed to acquire quite a few enemies in only one afternoon.

Once at the feast, it still remained as difficult to speak with Elendil as it had been for the rest of the day. At least, he managed to tell her between toasts, they had been able to sit together, something which the rules of the former Court of Arne would have considered unacceptable. Back when the royal family was still alive, the Queen had used to preside over the women’s feast, and the King over the men’s feast; fortunately, the fact that neither of them were a King or a Queen, and that almost half of the guests were Númenórean, had been a valid excuse to do away with those strange protocols. Still, Eluzîni could see that the Arnian women sat apart from them, in their own side of the hall, and spoke only to each other in low voices, refusing to do as much as look at the other guests.

“One of them almost exploded this afternoon when we refused to wear that useless veil” she whispered back at him, wistfully. He shook his head, managing to show his concern in his eyes even while he smiled and made a sign to someone at the other side of the room.

“The Women’s Court has led a separate existence from the rest of the palace since long before I came here. I am ashamed to say that I have barely had any dealings with it in years.”

“Do not be ashamed.” She imitated his smile. “In fact, I am rather relieved to hear that.”

Back when they were young lovers, in Armenelos, he would have been flustered at her words. Now, he drank calmly from his cup, greeted an Arnian with a ridiculous beard, and turned back towards her.

“My point is that they are used to doing everything their own way, and there is no telling how they might react if you try to change that state of things. This place may be smaller than the Palace of Armenelos, but it is far more vicious. Perhaps you should have…”

“… stayed in Númenor”, she finished for him, in a rather good imitation of his voice. “You might as well stop saying that now, for I am here, and I am not going back until you do. And I am not afraid of those women. I may not be the Queen of Arne, but I am still the highest authority in the Women’s Court, even above those petulant old ladies and that concubine of the late halfwit King, who seems to believe herself the fairest woman in the world. Oh, do not worry!” She laughed; though not flustered, he definitely seemed wary now. “They are just women, not Orcs. Unlike you, I know how women think, and I will use this knowledge to advance my own purposes. But, enough of this for the time being! I know that the man who is walking across the table is going to approach you about something terribly important, and before that happens, I only have about ten seconds to ask you this. Where are Isildur and Malik?”

Elendil stared briefly at his plate, then back at her. Suddenly, he looked apologetic.

“They are away, securing an alliance with the tribes of the Vale. I hoped that they would have returned by now, but it seems that your reunion will have to wait for a little longer. Lord Amaris, I am so glad to see you here! Please, come and meet my wife, the Lady Lalwendë.”

Eluzîni swallowed a small knot in her throat, forcing herself to smile at the Arnian noble, who looked uncomfortable at the idea of consorting with a barefaced female. If she had been in a playful mood, she would have turned her charm on, and done her best to make him feel even more uncomfortable. But all she could feel at this moment was the sting of worry in her stomach.

The tribes of the Vale. She remembered peering through the blinds of her litter on their way here, and seeing the chain of dark mountains which hung above Arne like giant stormclouds. Mordor, she had thought, trying not to think of the foul creatures which hid there, waiting for a signal from their dark master to prey upon Men. The same creatures who had taken her cousin Vorondil, tortured him until he died, and put his head on a spike. Back then, her eyes had fallen upon the giant rift, where the mountains were parted slightly to create a deep vale, and she had wondered if this was the path through which the dark armies had advanced to conquer Arne years ago, ignorant of the fact that her own son was there even as she gazed upon it.

“Excuse me, my lords”, she spoke, standing from her seat. Everybody in the hall, both men and women, paused in their conversations to look at her. “I am very tired from the long journey, and I find myself in desperate need of rest. I wish I could enjoy this feast more, but every ounce of my strength has been spent, and I cannot even force myself to eat another bite.”

As she walked away from the hall, there was a great commotion. The men dropped what they were doing to bow at her departing form, and all the women stood up as one to follow her, leaving an entire side of the hall empty. Even in her current state, Eluzîni could not help but blink in amazement at the ripples that such a simple action had caused.

“Mother, did you see that?” Ilmarë’s voice spoke behind her back as they walked down the corridor, followed by what looked like a thousand women. “Amazing!”

Eluzîni sighed in frustration. To say the truth, she was tired, and yet she was also certain that there was no way on Earth that she could make herself fall asleep. She had intended Elendil to follow shortly after her, but after seeing the reactions to her own departure, she was not too optimistic on that front. She could also share her worries with her daughter, but she did not wish to concern her needlessly. All she could do was pretend that she needed some quiet, get all those women to leave her alone, and hope for the best.

Hail the all-powerful Queen of Arne, she thought sarcastically, becoming aware of her plight: alone, and standing in the middle of a barbarian crowd who stared at her with half-expectant, half-wary glances.

“I am going to bed”, she declared.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As she had predicted, she lay awake for a long time in the enormous bed they had prepared for her, her tossing and turning mercifully hidden behind drapes of silk that hung from the ceiling, for the women had not left the room as she had told them. Even now, two of them were still standing close to the door, waiting in case that she needed them, something which contributed even further to her uneasiness. Finally, at some point in the night Elendil came in, and she struggled into a sitting position, trying to smooth her dishevelled strands of hair with her hand.

“Did they let you in?” she asked, her brow creased in pretended shock. “I am surprised.”

“No more than I am, myself”, he retorted, turning back for a moment and looking over his shoulder, as if he was afraid that they might still be standing behind him. Apparently, however, even the ladies of the Women’s Court were aware of the meaning of privacy in a few, carefully restricted contexts. Satisfied that there was no one else, at least in this chamber, he made as if to sit beside her.

What happened next was nothing at all like what Eluzîni had intended to happen. For hours, she had been focusing on her anger and worry at the news about Isildur, and coming up with a number of choice words designed to make him feel as guilty as he deserved for letting her son risk his life in such a dangerous place. When she saw him approach her, however, her mind went blank, and she forgot everything that she wanted to say. Suddenly, all that she could remember was how much she had missed him, and how she needed him to make love to her until every single woman in that wretched palace had been awoken by the noise.

In her years at the Court of Armenelos, Eluzîni was aware of having acquired a certain reputation, and yet she never remembered being so unable to control herself. As they made love and she writhed over the mattress, there were no thoughts in her mind, no words in her mouth, nothing she could do except surrender to the overpowering urge of her instincts.

Later, she did not know if minutes, hours or days, as they lay side by side, she noticed that the traitorous curtains had been open all the time. She knew that she should feel embarrassed at this, but instead, she laughed. He stared at her with a frown of puzzlement, which also seemed strangely out of place, as if he was trying to go through the motions of his old emotions and yet could not get them wholly right.

“I w-wonder what they must be thinking now”, she muttered, gasping for air but unable to stop laughing. He turned away from her, and his eyes widened as he grew aware of the opening.

“Oh. Well.” He made some further attempts at a serious expression, then gave up, and laughed with her. “Should I close them?”

She struggled to her knees, and grabbed his face so he would have to look at her again. That was all that mattered, she suddenly realized. Everything else was a distraction, a useless, pointless distraction, and she would not have it.

“No” she whispered into his ear.

 

*      *      *      *      *

 

The night, however, was long, at least if one chose to sacrifice sleep. Once that their desire had finally been exhausted, they still had the time to talk, and talk, until dawn dissipated the shadows of the room, its pale light bringing out the bright sheen of sweat over their naked limbs and faces. Eluzîni remembered her concern for Isildur, but she could not remember her anger anymore, and once that Elendil informed her of her son’s feats against the marauding Orcs, and how both the Númenóreans and the Arnians looked up to him as a great warrior, she was even brought to admit grudgingly that perhaps he was right, and she should no longer think of Isildur as a child. He also told her other things, about Arne and his ongoing struggle to change its outdated political system and unify the tribes, with the backdrop of the fight against Mordor. But for the most part, he wanted her to do the talking, asking her a thousand questions about his mother, his father, their son who had been left behind in Armenelos, and the situation in the Island.

On a conscious level, Eluzîni had been aware that her husband had been cut off from Númenor all this time, and that letters were not a reliable method of communication to discuss delicate political issues. Until now, however, she did not realize to what extent he had been starved for information, and how much self-discipline he had needed to prevent his imagination from supplying distorted versions of the things he was not certain of. Determined to rise to the occasion, she told him everything that she knew, from the fateful Council session after Tar Palantir’s death to Ar Pharazôn and Ar Zimraphel’s bizarre accession ceremony, omitting no details. She told him how someone in the Palace Guards had informed Hiram of the King’s death and the Princess of the West’s marriage, how he had left the capital with their kinsman Lord Iqbal, and how they had risen in rebellion against the Sceptre. She tried to keep away the bitterness from her voice as she told him of Lord Amandil’s decision to support the incestuous couple, and how this had led to the annihilation of the house of the Northern lords, to the colonies of retired soldiers flourishing across Forostar and drawing ever closer to Andúnië, to her own father’s accession as puppet Lord of Hyarnustar, and his young successor’s sad plight. She told him about all the major changes in the Island: the permanent garrisons of soldiers in Sor and Armenelos, the lavish quantities of money spent on the sanctuaries, festivities and temples of the old gods by the will of the Sceptre, and the downfall of the Palace Guards, who had been dissolved in favour of a new body of guardians chosen among the veterans from Umbar, including, to the shock of many, a number of half-breeds and barbarians. Elendil said nothing of this, though she knew of the ties which had joined him to the Guards since his childhood. When she mentioned the King’s project of a large temple dedicated to the Lord of Battles in Armenelos, however, he looked worried.

“How did the High Priest react to this?” he asked. Just like his father, she thought, always concerned for that man.

“Not very well. According to him, the Lord of Battles has no place in the Island; it is an advocation which presides over warfare, and as such it should be restricted to the mainland.” She shrugged. “The King does not seem to care very much for what the old priest thinks, though. If he did, he would have had him murdered already.”

“I cannot believe he would go around murdering people in the Island.”

She chuckled mirthlessly. Even after all that time, she still felt strongly about it.

“Were you not listening? Hiram, Valacar… Vorondil, perhaps, don’t you think that his capture by the Enemy was too convenient to be an accident? And what of the former Queen? She disappeared shortly after the late King’s passing, According to our new Queen, she was so taken by grief that she refused to see anyone or eat her meals, and so she passed away. But there are rumours that she had been dead long before that. No one was allowed to see her corpse before she passed under the Meneltarma.”

“And you think Ar Pharazôn is responsible for all this?” For a moment, she thought that he would laugh at her theories, but he merely shook his head, his brow creased in a thoughtful frown. “I do not know, Eluzîni. I believe he would be capable of many things against those who stood in his path, but he is also capable of being a good ruler. I have been in the mainland with him, and his men would have died for him many times over. He had an ability to make the right decisions, under the greatest duress that you can imagine, and his instincts about whom to trust and whom to appoint for each task were remarkable.”

“Like when he appointed you as governor of Arne?” she could not help but ask.  He ignored this question, as if he had been too absorbed in his own musings to hear it.

“And then, my father trusts him. At least enough to keep his oath about our people, as he once trusted him to keep his oath about me. I cannot lie and pretend that I did not perceive a… certain potential for darkness in him during the events in Pelargir, but personal feelings should not blind me to the larger picture. And, Eluzîni, this should also extend to what happened to your kinsmen, though I am aware that it is a painful subject, hard to ignore and even harder to forget. But they did rebel against the Sceptre, and as long as we do not receive definite confirmation of a murder which had nothing to do with the aftermath of a rebellion, I will follow my father’s lead, and trust the King.”

“Do as you wish.” Eluzîni set two pillows against the bedstead, and gingerly sat against them. “As for me, the farthest I am from Armenelos, the King and the Queen, the happier I will be.”

“Oh.” His eyes widened, and at first she thought that he was upset about something, until she realized he was pretending. “Is this why you came all the way to Arne? And I thought that you were here because of me.”

“That is right” she replied in kind. “I came here because I wished for some peace and quiet, away from the intrigues of Armenelos, and what do I find? An entire Women’s Court following my every movement, and you keeping me awake all night.”

He shrugged.

“I hope you can forgive me one day.”

“Perhaps someday.” Remembering something, she slowly struggled to her knees and crawled out of the bed, trying to keep herself from wincing at her soreness. As she was about to emerge from the curtain, however, he remembered about those damned women, and unable to fish back the remains of her glorious, lust-induced fearlessness of the previous night, she grabbed one of the sheets and wrapped herself in it. “Perhaps that day, I will even give you this.”

“What is it?” he asked, curious in spite of himself. She walked towards the neighbouring room, a large storeroom where the women had brought all her luggage the previous day. Among the robes, dresses, elaborate fabrics and jewels, she sought for the locked box, and for the key that went with it. Just as she was picking it up to open it, one of the Arnian ladies bowed before her.

“Do you need help, my lady?”

“No” she replied, refusing to feel ashamed at the fact that she was standing there naked, wrapped only on a bedsheet. With all the dignity she could muster, she walked past her and the other woman who was bowing by the door, praying that the clumsy knot she had made would not give away at the worst possible moment. Fortunately enough, it lasted until she was back in the safety of the bedstead, and this time she made sure that the curtains were drawn after her.

“Here.” Carefully, she extracted a dark, silk bag from the box, and from it she produced a black stone, just large enough to be grabbed between her two hands. As always, whenever she touched it she could feel a strange warmth spreading across her body, though the surface of the stone remained cold. Elendil’s eyes widened at the sight.

“You brought the Seeing Stone? But…”

“Not the Seeing Stone. Rather, a Seeing Stone” she interrupted him. “Your grandfather, Lord Númendil, brought back a number of them from Lindon, and now we have one of them in Arne with us. Can you see what this means?”

Elendil nodded, growing excited as it dawned upon him.

“We can communicate with Andúnië from here!” His hand touched the surface of the stone, and as he did so, its colour suddenly changed from dull black to pearly grey. She stared at him, surprised.

“This was your grandfather’s stone for many years. Apparently, it can recognize you!”

He frowned, looking at it with a mixture of surprise and concentration. After a while, he finally raised his eyes to meet hers again.

“Thank you for bringing this. And thank you for coming, Eluzîni. I cannot tell you how much I have missed you.”

She smiled sweetly.

“I would never have been able to guess.”

“How many women are waiting outside this room to ambush me?”

Eluzîni pretended to be deep in thought.

“Hm… there were two at the storeroom, which is a very small place. I guess there must be around twenty on the hallway. Perhaps you should just give up and stay here all day.”

“Now, that is a tempting thought.” He, too, pretended to be considering it. “If only I did not have a Council meeting today…”

“If you leave me alone for too long, I will start reorganizing the Women’s Court, and it may end in war” she threatened. He did not reply, busy as he was finding his clothes and trying, in vain, to smooth wrinkles which would never pass unnoticed to the piercing eyes of the gossipmongers. As he finished doing his best to look decent, he deposited the stone in her hands.

“If you wish, I will tell them that you need more rest.”

More rest?” she snorted. He ignored this.

“As soon as Isildur returns to Arne, I will let you know” he promised, closing the curtain behind his back. For a moment, her glance became lost in the patterns of the colourful fabric; then, as if waking up from a daydream, she grabbed his pillow in her arms and lay back on the bed, a pensive frown upon her face.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Sometime later, an insistent voice jerked her away from the path of dreams. The sun was already high up in the sky, and she realized that she must have fallen asleep for hours.

“Mother. Mother! Wake up, Mother!”

Bleary eyes sought blindly for the source of the disturbance, blinking back tears at the onslaught of brightness. Her hand, however, was grabbed in a merciless grip before she could use it to bury her head under the covers, and she was forced to acknowledge Ilmarë’s presence.

“What is it?” Remembrances from the previous day and night swam through her mind: the journey, Elendil, Arne, the Women’s Court… the women… “If they are with you, tell them to wait outside until I am… until I feel more…”

But her daughter did not let her finish the sentence.

“Isildur, Mother. He is back. They were ambushed down in the Vale, and… and Malik…”

“What?” For a moment, only the words “Isildur” and “ambush” registered in her brain, and she sat abruptly, suddenly possessed by a frenzy of activity. Ilmarë laid a hand on her shoulder and said some reassuring words, but it was trembling.

“Here, put this on. The women are here to dress you. I will be… I will be… I will see you there.” Her daughter’s voice broke down, and she disappeared abruptly, leaving nothing but a flutter of curtains in her wake. As Eluzîni wrapped the robe she had brought around her naked body, she could hear voices in the room, some low and monotonous, which should belong to the barbarians, and Ilmarë’s stronger tones, which seemed to be arguing with them. Then, she left.

The dressing process went unbearably slowly for Eluzîni’s current state of mind. She tried to rush it as she could, moving here and there with angry words, but the women did not react to them, and, if possible, their movements became even slower. Perhaps they were having their revenge, she thought dazedly.

At long last, she was ready, and though a part of her mind recognized what she was wearing as Arnian clothes, she ignored it, simply refusing the veil that they were trying to pin to their head. Without betraying their disappointment, they organized themselves in rows to follow her out of the chamber, in such a fast and efficient manner that they did not even seem the same people who had fumbled with differently coloured shoes for half an hour.

Definitely revenge.

It was the old lady who had been with them before the feast who guided her through the labyrinth of corridors and hallways. Finally, they hurried through a gallery that ended in what looked like the most elaborate inner gate that Eluzîni had ever seen, inlaid with ivory and with a gemstone-incrusted arch. As she crossed it, she realized that the old lady was the only one following her: the rest stopped in her tracks as one, and remained behind it.

Free of her retinue at last, she sought for a familiar face, until she found some Númenórean soldiers talking among themselves, under the portico of a large courtyard that she remembered seeing the previous day after she left the feast. As soon as they recognized her, they bowed at her and offered to take her to her daughter.

“You, stay here” she ordered the old lady, who did not seem happy with the arrangement.

On the way, her guides detected her turmoil, and immediately set to allay it: Isildur had not only emerged from a difficult situation without any serious injury; he had even been deemed fit enough to be reporting to the Arnian council at this moment. At first, Eluzîni found this difficult to believe, as she could not reconcile it with her daughter’s agitated state. Then, however, they ushered her through a dark corridor and into a small room, and the mystery was explained.

“Ilmarë” she whispered, reluctant to disturb the silence.

Her daughter acknowledged her with a nod. She was sitting by the bedside, trying to force a cup of some liquid down the throat of the man who lay there, and though Eluzîni’s eyes could not see much more in the dark, she knew who it was.

“How is he?” she asked, feeling a small pang to her chest. “What happened?”

“He took a-an arrow to his right side” Ilmarë explained. “Not poisoned, thank the Valar, though they say it was… very difficult to get it out.”

Eluzîni’s breath caught in her throat, in horror. Still nervous after her rush to get there, she hurried to the bedside and sat next to her daughter, where she could have a better view of the damage. To her surprise, she saw that Malik was awake: his eyes had been following her movements, and they blinked in recognition when he realized that she was looking at him too. Large beads of sweat covered his face, and his dishevelled hair was ridden with pieces of caked blood, but the dirty clothes had been removed, and the bandages, which covered his entire upper body from his stomach to his chest, looked relatively new. In spite of this, she could distinguish traces of fresh blood staining the linen in several places.

“Oh, Malik”, she winced in sympathy. Since Ashad’s son had been a child, she could not remember a time when he and Isildur had not been together, playing at being heroes and seeking adventures in Andúnië, Armenelos, and even as far as Middle-Earth itself. Now, as it appeared, one of those adventures had finally become too real, too close to the ultimate disaster for comfort.

“Th…thanks… for….” he managed to utter before Ilmarë covered his mouth with her hand and stared at him reproachfully.

“Ssssh. Not a word. The wound will reopen.”

He could not talk, but even without a voice, Malik was still Malik. With his chin, he pointed at the bandages, where the shadow of new blood had grown slightly since Eluzîni first laid eyes on it, and then rolled his eyes.

“Yes, I know it is not closed yet, but that supports my argument, not yours!” Ilmarë shook her head petulantly, and her mother allowed herself a moment to ponder again how similar she was to her at her age. “I will not let you do anything stupid again. In fact, I will stay here until you have recovered, and I will make sure that you stay where you are and do not move.”

Then again, she thought, sobering up, perhaps not so similar.

At last, her hand was raised from Malik’s mouth, but he did not seem about to speak again. Instead, he gazed at her with such warmth that Eluzîni thought that he had to be feverish. In all his life, and she had been present for a large part of it, the young man would never have been caught staring at anyone like that, much less in the presence of their mother.

Lost in bittersweet musings, she almost did not hear the footsteps behind them.

“Well”, a voice broke the long silence. “Thanks to this idiot, it seems I will never be able to convince you that border patrols are safe anymore.”

“Isildur!” Eluzîni jumped from her seat, and rushed to embrace her son as a drowning man would grab a lifeline. Only when she felt the body stiffen against hers, she remembered that he might also have suffered some injury, and immediately pulled back, ashamed at her impulsive behaviour. If he was in pain or discomfort, however, his countenance had grown even more adept at hiding it than it used to be back in Númenor. As she stepped back to check on him, he merely smiled in fond exasperation.

“I am fine, Mother. Though let me tell you that your embrace is fiercer than that of a wrestling Orc. Did you have a good journey?”

“Who cares about my journey? What happened out there, Isildur?” There was a gash in the side of his face, which had only recently stopped bleeding; its closeness to his right ear alarmed her. “They say that you were ambushed…”

“Yes, it seems that we overestimated the wish of certain tribes to be allies with Númenor. They sent us a false plea for help, and then the Orcs were waiting for us. I always feared that they could not be trusted,  but…”

“And, if you knew that, how could you let this happen?” It was Ilmarë who had spoken; there was a strange, hard edge to her voice. “Oh, I know you, Isildur. You probably thought that it did not matter, that all the Orcs of Mordor would not be a match for you. Well, look at the result!”

Isildur seemed as stunned at this sudden virulence as Eluzîni herself. It took him some time to even put the words together to counter her attack.

“What on Earth are you talking about? Do you know more about the situation than the council, now? According to them, what I thought or did not think of my abilities had no bearing on the results of the expedition. I did not let anything happen, it happened!”

“Do not mind Ilmarë, she is just upset”, Eluzîni intervened fast, before the situation could escalate into a full-fledged argument. She did not like the fire that gleamed in her daughter’s eyes, and she did not trust it to be capable of fairness at this moment.

In the ensuing, tenuous silence, a ragged whisper reached her ears from the bed.

 “…not his fault.”

At this, Ilmarë’s attention was successfully diverted from both Isildur and her. Muttering something between clenched teeth, she swept on Malik to hush him before he could speak again.

“Always covering for each other”, she spat, in a low, hoarse voice which Isildur, fortunately, could not hear from where he was.

“How is he?” he asked, in a more even tone. Ilmarë did not answer, so Eluzîni hurried to fill the void before the bitterness could start anew.

“He is still bleeding. But not too much” she added, so he would not get the wrong impression. “He has not lost his spirit and keeps trying to talk, even though he knows that he should not.”

“So, in other words, nothing new.” Slowly, he walked towards the other side of the bed, and knelt to look at his friend. He had grown better at hiding his feelings from others, and there were years, and experiences, which irrevocably set him apart from Ilmarë’s still too innocent sincerity. And yet, as Eluzîni gazed at him here and now, she was able to see every single thing that he was hiding.

“My sister fancies herself an expert in things she has no idea about, but she does have a basic knowledge of healing. So, do as she says, will you? I am still not finished answering questions and filling paperwork. The council is done with me, but now I have to meet with Father and Adûnazer and Bodashtart to discuss future actions in the Vale. I do not know how long it will take, but I will be here as soon as it is over.”

“H-have fun” Malik snorted -a snort which ended, rather undignifiedly, in a grimace of pain when something inside him snapped at the effort. Both Isildur and Ilmarë looked equally furious, though not at each other this time. Eluzîni wondered if that could have been his intent all along.

 “If you say another word, I will knock you unconscious” Ilmarë hissed. “The wound is nowhere near your head, so do not think for a moment that I will not do it.”

Malik smiled weakly at her.

 

Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Read Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Amandil blinked, the frown in his forehead increasing as his eyes focused upon the only source of light in the room. It had always been hard to direct the thread of his thoughts across such great distances, and he was often about to let them slip away from his grasp, like a child trying to grab the white foam of the surf. He had seen his father do it many times, as easily as if he was talking to someone across a tray of drinks, but whenever he tried to emulate him, he found that he lacked the subtlety for it -or, perhaps, the inner strength.

Still, fumbling painfully or not, this was their only means of communication, and he had to pour all his efforts in making it work.

As I said, there is greater unrest here now than there has been in the last years, the voice of Elendil whispered in his mind. The Arnians find these new policies senseless. I, however, am afraid that they are not, that there is something else behind them. If you could confront the King about it…

Amandil pushed his thoughts into the Orb. For a moment, he even fancied that he could see them swirl inside, as fragmented and confusing as they were inside his own mind. Then, he focused again.

I will try. Meanwhile, be careful. Father perceives a darkness clouding our future, and it is in the mainland that it is gathering. I do not claim to be an interpreter of visions, but I feel that we cannot afford to make enemies out of the Arnians.

I will be careful, Father. The light flickered once more, then was extinguished, leaving the room in total darkness. For a while, Amandil just sat there, feeling the pangs of a growing headache torture his temples as he pondered every detail of the new information he had received. Almost unconsciously, his hand began to massage the pain away from his forehead, and he noticed that it was trembling slightly.

With a long, shuddering breath, the lord of Andúnië stood on his feet, put the Seeing Stone back into its bag, and left to search for the wine jar in his study.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“… he was much younger back then than you are now, but then again, his father did not live with us, so he had to grow up very early in some respects. Not all respects of course: girls were a sore spot with him for a very, very long time. Until the day of his wedding, I daresay!” He could hear her drawn out chuckle, and even though there was a wall between them and him, he imagined his politely incredulous smile, and the flawless attention with which he forced himself to listen to stories he had already been subjected to a hundred times. The unfortunate young man had the dubious honour of looking like a somewhat shorter version of his father, and he lacked the heart to refuse her whenever she was in a talkative mood, so Amalket had latched on to him like a limpet in her loneliness. “Back when he was training with the Guards, as I said, he was so good that, soon, he was getting substantial offers from some of the richer students to let himself lose against them, so they would catch the attention of the instructors.”

“Oh, no, really? And what did he say?”

Amandil allowed himself to stop in his tracks a moment before he reached the threshold. It was early enough, they still had a few minutes to spare until she finished her story.

“Well, things were a little complicated for us at that moment. I doubt you can even imagine it, being born in such a rich and noble house, but our house was not noble and it certainly was not rich. We used to receive money every month from what we believed were your grandfather’s associates in Sor, but in fact it was sent by…”

“The King”, Anárion finished for her.

“Now, he is the King, yes, but not yet back then. He was only a prince. Halideyid had no more idea of this than I did, but he still resented it, and managed to convince the men sent from the Palace that he did not need it. But then, he found that if he did not swallow his pride on one front, he would have to swallow it on another. Money had to come from somewhere, and he did not want me or Mother -that would be your great-grandmother, may Eru have her soul- to discover what had happened.”

“So, what did he do, then?”

“Well, somehow, he managed to convince one of those rich students that it would increase his chances for admission if he paid him for private lessons instead of giving him the money to feign defeat. Word caught on, and after a couple of months he was teaching five of his peers separately, all in secret of course. He managed to convince me that he had been taken on as an instructor by the Guards themselves, and I suspected nothing for a long time! But in the end, the joke was on him, because he was taken on as instructor by the Guards, and he had to work double shifts, and there was no way to explain that. He always tried, though, he was never one to surrender easily. Like that other time, when he left the Guards…”

Before she could start on this new topic, however, Amandil stepped out of the shadows of the corridor. He felt slightly guilty when he saw her look of disappointment, but she was given enough chances to share her old stories as it was.

“I apologize for the intrusion, Amalket, but Anárion has to go get ready. The Council session will start in an hour”, he said. Taking his cue to escape, the young man took her hand, bowed to her, and silently left the room.

She gazed at his retreating form, and then at the empty doorstep, thoughtfully. For a moment, Amandil wondered if she even remembered that he was standing next to her, but when he was about to open his mouth to make some conversation, she spoke first.

“How is Halideyid?” she asked.

Amandil blinked. She was so good at playing the doting old lady whenever it suited her, that sometimes he almost forgot that her mind remained as sound as ever.

“Well enough”, he replied, after some hesitation. “Though it appears that Númenor is making things difficult for him.”

She pursed her lips in what he had learned to recognize as utmost disapproval.

“We have no business ruling barbarian lands. They are too far away, and they are not like us at all, or think as we do. That priest you used to serve had the right of it.”

You would not care at all about mainland policies if it was not your son who was forced to live in Arne because of them, he thought, not entirely unsympathetically.

“And how is Eluzîni? And Isildur and Ilmarë? Did he say…?”

“The Seeing Stone’s function is not to exchange idle gossip”, he cut her before she could ask more questions. She looked so upset at this, however, that he felt the need to backtrack at once. “If… anything of note had happened to them, he would have told me.”

His course correction did nothing to help her anger abate.

“You probably think that this is enough information for me, and that I should be content with it”, she spat. “If only I was younger, I would have travelled to Arne myself long ago. I fulfil no purpose here, I am just an old woman who embarrasses you, and distracts you from your all-important duties with her annoying needs.”

Amandil had heard this often enough as to feel challenged by the grains of truth that may have slid in through the crevices of her bitter imagination. Every time, he had reacted differently, depending on his mood: at his worst, the kindest thing he had managed to say was that it was not her fault that this was so, after which she had refused to speak to him for a month. At his best, he had forced himself to rise to the occasion and swear that she did not embarrass him or distract him, that he loved her and always had, and vowed to spend more time with her. But then, she had discarded her sour mood, and looked so terribly vulnerable that, for a moment, he could almost look past the wrinkles, the white hairs and the bent shoulders, and see the Armenelos girl who had seduced a young priest in the grounds of the Temple of Armenelos. And this had been so devastating that he did not think he could bear it again.

It was unfair. For so many years it had been her, who had been distant and refused to open her heart in spite of his pleas. She had turned into an esteemed stranger, the Lady of Andúnië in nothing but in name, and to break this ancient pact now and leave him to deal with the pain would be sheer cruelty. Even Ashad had not refused Amal the joys of mutual love while they were both young and hale, and now she had the memories of this to comfort her in her loneliness.

There is a hole in your heart where your love used to be, and it is ugly and empty.

“No, you are right”, he said, carefully measuring his words. “This is not enough information for you, and neither is it for me. We should go back to writing letters, and fill them with all those small things that seem unimportant in the great schemes of the high and mighty. But now, I do have to go. If things go smoothly in the Council session today, perhaps we could do it tomorrow, or even this evening.”

“If you are too busy, I will do it with Anárion”, she retorted, latching onto his slight hesitation with the full force of her resentment. As their grandson chose this moment to stride back into the room, Amandil was saved the need to find an answer for this.

“Let us depart” he said.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Main Gate was a flurry of activity, teeming with the entourages of all the councilmen who had just arrived for today’s session. As usual, by the time they arrived loud disputes had already erupted between the newcomers and the soldiers of Pharazôn’s Palace Guard. The former Palace Guards had spent generations training their heirs in protocol since they were children, and they had been aware of who could cross each threshold and what honours they were due, but these newcomers ignored many subtle details of their occupation, and more often than not they did not seem too bothered with learning them at all. On the other hand, their low social extraction, especially when it came to those of mixed race, made the least among the petty courtiers of a nobleman’s entourage even more prone to offense when forced to deal with them. Usually, this bickering did not manage to cross the Palace walls, but sometimes it had caused ripples, to the point of delaying a Council session or two. The King had pretended to be angry, and seized the opportunity to just ban everyone, except for the councilmen themselves and their aides, from entering the Palace when on a session. This, however, had not solved the problem entirely, as the entourages still had to be at least partly accommodated in the Outer Courtyard, and the bickering over the logistics of this had continued under the new access rules.

Amandil had always tried to remain above such petty dealings, professing not to care about orders of pre-eminence, seats of honour, or any such courtly concerns. Perhaps because of this, the Guards tended to award him and his people more respect than they did the others, to the point of giving them preferential treatment whether they were the first or the last to arrive. Now, as he crossed the throng into the open expanse of the courtyard gardens, he saw from the corner of his eye that they were forcing others away from the seats they had occupied under the archways to accommodate his followers. He pretended to ignore it.

“They are the people of the Lord of Orrostar”, Anárion remarked behind him. As Amandil disliked the man, this news made him feel a guilty surge of satisfaction.

“Well, perhaps that will teach him to arrive earlier next time.”

“But he arrived earlier.” His grandson sounded surprised. “He was here long before us.”

Not here, but in Armenelos at the head of his army, two years ago, Amandil could have explained, but he realized that it did not just sound as petty in his own head as the bickering of the Palace halls, but also, somehow, misplaced. Even though not for the same reasons as that old coward, he, too, would have stayed out of the conflict if Pharazôn had not outright blackmailed him. The day he started feeling proud of this might well be the day that he became one of the courtiers he had always despised so much.

In the end, he said nothing, and his silence passed unchallenged. After a while, it was Anárion himself who broke it timidly to change the subject, informing him of all the evidence he had gathered on the subject for today’s discussion, and the documents he had brought with him. Amandil nodded absently to all of it, trying not to think of how he missed Elendil more than ever.

“That was very thorough work” he complimented him, with no real warmth to his voice.

He could not help it. Anárion was a good young man, but sometimes a little too much for Amandil’s liking. Part of the explanation might be that he was too far removed in both age and kinship to think of confronting him, but his general personality did not help, either. Being a second son was not a common occurrence in the ancient and barren family trees of Númenórean nobility, and adoption by another powerful family was often the fate of such anomalies. The few instances that Amandil could remember that went against this tacit norm had each been marked by a strong development in quite diverging directions. Everybody knew of Inziladûn and Gimilkhâd, how they had always hated each other and how the second had always done everything he could to thwart the first in all his policies. Everybody knew, too, of Lord Shemer’s brother Itashtart, and how he had refused all responsibilities since his youth, preferring to carve himself a reputation among the party circles, the seedy taverns and the dancing halls of Armenelos. Anárion’s development had not been so conspicuous, but he still had been conditioned in his own way. Since he was a child, he had been reserved, dutiful, so eager to please and be of help that Amandil had to wonder if he had consciously forbidden himself to think of his own fate as anything which could ever take a direction of its own.

But then, Lord Itashtart had become the lord of Hyarnustar in the end, even against his own will. And though the Prince of the South had not lived to see it, it was his son who held the Sceptre now. Things were not so immutable as they used to be, and they all had to be prepared for anything. What if something were to happen in Arne? There were several reasons, not all of them pleasant, why Elendil’s second son had to stay in Númenor.

“There we are” he said, wondering how would Anárion react if he subjected him to such ramblings. He would probably nod to everything and promise to keep it in mind, while perhaps secretly thinking that his grandfather was insane.

Their pace slowed a little, almost without thinking, as they passed near the place where the White Tree stood in splendid isolation. Neglected for hundreds of years by the successive monarchs who had lived in this Palace, its fate, too, had changed all of a sudden after Tar Palantir’s accession. The Faithful King had held it in reverence as a symbol of his line and its ancient alliance with the Valar of the Undying Lands, from whence it had come, and right before his death he had even prophesized upon it, joining the fate of Númenor and its Kings to its continued existence. Because of this, there were guards standing watch over it now, and the only people who were allowed access was the legion of royal gardeners who came every day to tend it and check on its health, though as far as Amandil knew there was nothing which suited the tree better than to thrive on its own.

Once, a young Isildur had told him that his dream of the Wave had featured this tree, which was in itself nothing unusual, as the King’s dreams had followed a similar pattern. Isildur, however, had expounded on some confusing details regarding an attempt to climb it and the ghost of his friend Malik, which still had the power to make him repress a shiver long after he awoke. Sometimes, Amandil wondered if his elder grandson still had those dreams, and if he had managed to extract some clearer notion about what they could mean.

“Have you ever dreamed of this tree, Anárion?” he asked, on a sudden impulse. Grey eyes blinked back at him, in quickly repressed surprise.

“No, Grandfather. That was Isildur.”

Anárion had never been very forthcoming about his dreams, at least not with him. Amandil was vaguely aware that he had discussed them with his father at some point, but as Elendil himself did not dream, he wondered if his counsel could have been of much use.

“I know that was Isildur, I just wondered if you had the same dream as him” he answered, somewhat shortly.

“I am sorry, Grandfather.”

“And stop apologizing for everything.”

“Sorry… I mean, I will not do it again.” His brow furrowed, and he seemed to be pondering whether to continue talking or not. “Unless it is - warranted, I guess.”

For the first time in the day -and, he suspected, last- Amandil allowed himself a brief smile.

“Let us join the others.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Council of Númenor under Ar Pharazôn seemed, at first sight, to have diverged little from what it had been in the last years of Tar Palantir’s reign. The most conspicuous differences in the rows of sitting lords and courtiers had been two: the appointment of a second military governor to fill the place of the extinct lords of Sorontil, and the seat awarded to the colonists from Pelargir, who had joined the Council a year ago and now sat to the left of the Umbar magistrate. This illusion of continuity, however, was deceiving to the extreme, as Amandil had learned the hard way in recent times. In truth, almost nothing was the way it used to be, and as soon as a contentious matter was raised, he was more likely to find silent countenances and averted glances than any sort of opposition rising from any direction.

To the right of the Chamber, next to Amandil himself, the old general who occupied Hiram’s seat was of course one of Pharazôn’s veterans from the mainland, whose chief contribution was to grunt and nod in approval at whatever the King said. The lord of Hyarnustar showed little interest in any of the proceedings, and was constantly fighting not to fall asleep -perhaps, as it was rumoured, he continued with his revelries even now, or perhaps he had merely grown old enough for his tumultuous past to catch up with his health. The Northeastern lord had always preferred to see where the tide turned before he opened his mouth, and he had not changed much in that respect. As for the courtiers, the only reason why Ar Zimrathôn had added them to the Council at all was that their policy was always to support the King, whoever he might be, as they lived too close to him for their interests to be truly separated from his whims. Amandil had seen this pattern repeat itself with Ar Gimilzôr, Tar Palantir, and now Ar Pharazôn. The governor of Sor and the magistrate of Umbar had always belonged to the Prince of the South’s party, and the old Palace Priest had been forced to resign on the grounds of being the brother-in-law of the Northern traitor, and replaced by an obscure priest from the colonies. The man appointed from Pelargir, though the King claimed to have no say in the city’s choice, was unsurprisingly not of the Faithful who made up the majority of the population, but a rich merchant of former Merchant Prince stock, and the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay’s sycophantic fawning overdid even all the rest of them put together. The idea that his old rivals, the Lords of Andúnië, had the King’s favour had been haunting him since Pharazôn and Zimraphel took up the Sceptre.

And he said he was not good at this, he thought ruefully, fixing the King with a long stare. Tar Palantir had been standing in that same spot for seventy-eight years, and even after all that time he had been unable to avoid being silenced by the shouts of those who wanted the Prince of the South to lead the armies in the mainland. He had been fighting against the tide, trying to turn back time and imposing ancient and misunderstood beliefs on a kingdom which had long forgotten the old ways, and yet, he had been no less their King. Perhaps, if he had shown from the start that he would not hesitate to destroy whoever opposed him, his might still have been a different story, with a different ending. But then again, no matter how sharp his eyes had been and how quick his intelligence, he had always remained an intellectual at heart, ready to polemize, strategize and play mind games with the people around him -to do anything, in fact, except what Pharazôn had aptly described as “being a war general”.

The only way that a bunch of noblemen from ancient and powerful houses were likely to be convinced to accept change of any sort was to have a sword pointed at their throats. Ar Adunakhôr already knew that very well, four hundred years ago.

Now, he thought, he was feeling more than ever as if the only true survivor from this dying race of ancient and powerful noblemen was him, for whatever it was worth. He wondered how long it would be before the sword was pointed at his throat.

“I see that Lord Amandil wishes to raise an objection. How surprising”, the King said, his tone dripping with irony.

“My apologies, my lord King, if I am inconveniencing you with the slowness of my mind. I am merely seeking to understand what the purpose of all these new defensive measures could be”, he replied, no less ironically. “Oh, I agree, there is wisdom in maintaining large armies in the mainland, to defend the colonies. There is wisdom in raising taxes to feed and equip them. But this has always been done, and no King has ever discontinued those policies. I had a harder time understanding the need of a permanent garrison in Sor and another in Armenelos, but since this Council and the governor himself decided that the people living in those cities would not be inconvenienced, I suppose it does not matter.”

The eyes of the governor of Sor gleamed.

“That tone of yours is an offence to the King and the Council, my lord.”

“Do not interrupt me, lord governor”, Amandil shot back, and he could see, in some satisfaction, that the man flinched in spite of himself. Ar Pharazôn’s countenance betrayed nothing. “Then, there is Forostar. I understand that the harbour of Sorontil would be used as a secondary port for the royal fleet, as the harbour of Sor is overflowing with trade and in spite of its size it is not enough for the large needs of our defensive fleet. After all, Sauron may invade us by sea at any time, and every precaution we take would be too little.” Uneasy murmurations were growing in intensity, though he was not interrupted again. “But there are also land armies in there now. What are they guarding? Who are they watching? I hope it is not me.”

“They are guarding nothing and watching no one, Lord Amandil”, General Eshmounazer replied angrily. “It is a colony for retired veterans, nothing more. Forostar was too sparsely populated, compared with the rest of the Island, which made it an ideal place for such an endeavour. Though perhaps you have a guilty conscience, to speak like this.”

“What I have is eyes on my head, general, and many of those soldiers are too young for retirement. I guess, however, that the age of retirement of the soldiers is none of my concern, which is why I will speak no further of it.” In dismay, he wondered if it was even possible to wring a reaction from those lords by expounding on the potential ugly consequences of these arrangements. Since no one seemed willing to look at him, he had the suspicion that they were probably all too aware of them. “I am more concerned about these new decrees, which require raising the taxes for all the colonies and client tribes and kingdoms in the mainland, and the muster of forces both in the Island and the mainland, still for defensive purposes. Above all, I have listened to well-informed concerns about the convenience of integrating the Arnian army into the Númenórean army, which would allow it to be mobilized away from Arne if the King or any of his legates required it.”

“I see.” For the first time, it was Ar Pharazôn himself who replied. “You are speaking on behalf of your son.”

“Considering that Arne has no seat on this Council, I am afraid that he would not be able to make his concerns heard otherwise.”

“Arne is not part of Númenor!” the man from Pelargir cried. Amandil did not wish to let himself be distracted by this particular argument, so he shook his head.

“I am not here to discuss the status of Arne. Neither was it my only purpose to speak about the situation there. My concerns are general, and they include both the Island and the mainland.”

“Then speak plainly.” There was a glint in the King’s eye that Amandil knew only too well. He did not back down.

“I question the need for all these measures. We are not in any danger. Our defences are not compromised. Sauron was soundly defeated less than three years ago, and since then the mainland has only known a few skirmishes with lawless bands of Orcs in the borders of Arne and a minor uprising over trade rights in Harad, which lasted exactly four days.”

“Well, as far as I know, your own grandson almost fell in one of those minor skirmishes that you speak of”, Pharazôn shrugged. Of course, he would have heard about it from his spies. “But perhaps you are not overly concerned about this, since your son has a second heir.”

Amandil did not look at Anárion, but he knew that everyone else had instinctively done so, and that the young man would be feeling very uncomfortable under their stares.

“My grandson put himself in danger of his own free will, to protect Númenor and Arne. We already have many like him, and they are successfully keeping the armies of Darkness at bay within the mountains of Mordor. And yet for you, my lord King, it is not enough. You are acting as if this was some all-out war, like those our ancestors fought in the days of old.”

“I am surprised. Were the wars of Arne and Pelargir fought by our ancestors, then? Were the two Haradric wars their doing, too? I thought you were there, but perhaps you have chosen to forget.” The glint in Pharazôn’s eye became as hard as newly minted steel, and even before he opened his mouth again, Amandil knew that the blow would come. “After all, your incompetence and lack of foresight got many people killed in both places. When it comes to war, excuse me if I prefer to pay heed to my own instincts rather than yours.”

Hot-white anger blinded the lord of Andúnië for a moment, and only the vague awareness that Pharazôn was trying to goad him into going too far was able to restrain him. Even as he forced himself to swallow and look composed, however, the words swirled in his brain and choked his throat, fighting to get out.

“Do as you wish then, my lord King”, he willed his mouth to say, his thoughts still in furious disarray. How would it feel to punch him in the face? Would he be able to make him bleed before someone came to stop him? “Follow your instincts.”

Ar Pharazôn smiled.

“I am glad I have your permission to do so.”

Amandil sat down amid a chaos of whispers, which gradually began to die out as the King expounded on the next item in the day’s agenda.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The ride home was a silent one, with Amandil’s mind pondering over and over the exchanges of the previous hours. In the end, Ar Pharazôn had had his way in everything, as he always did, and no one except him had voiced any serious objections. Furthermore, considering his previous experiences, he did not harbour much hope that this umpteenth confrontation had managed to kindle some ember of doubt in the general horizon of apathy. What could be seen as a moderately hopeful sign, however, was that Pharazôn himself had felt cornered enough as to lash out; surely even he must be aware that the arguments that supported his policies were flimsy. Perhaps flimsy enough as to become useless if there was unrest in the mainland because of it. Amandil hoped that he would not close his eyes to the danger that lurked there if he allowed that particular door to open; whatever else might be said about him, Ar Pharazôn the Golden was not an idiot.

Not an idiot, maybe, but quite a piece of work when he set his mind to it, he mused as he sat on the veranda of his private study, a cup of wine in his hands. No one had openly blamed Amandil for those who died in his expedition to Arne; instead, they had attributed the responsibility to Noxaris and his black, traitorous heart. Some had even praised him for his ability to lead the survivors through hostile territory and return them safely to Númenor. As for the second Haradric war, he was aware of making mistakes, though as he recalled, sometimes quite distinctly, he had not been the only one. Unlike Pharazôn, however, who was quite unconcerned by lists of casualties as long as his objectives were fulfilled, Amandil had never been able to forget entirely, and those deaths would always remain on his conscience, no matter how much time had passed. This was one weakness that he knew he had made the mistake of betraying to the war general at some point; one among many.

“Are you drunk, or were you just getting started?” a voice interrupted his sombre musings. Unable to believe his ears, he blinked, wondering if he was drunk, though only a sip of wine had managed to make its way past his lips so far.

The figure who stood at the veranda, however, looked too solid to be a drunken vision, and gradually he began to grow aware of the truth.

“Who let you in?” was the first thing that came to his head.

The King -for it was the King of Númenor standing beside him, looking for all the world as if it had been just yesterday that he had last showed up for a visit- laughed at this.

“Had you left orders not to let me pass? If so, I am afraid that they all appeared too dumbfounded to remember them.”

Amandil swallowed, trying to regain his composure. He could not allow this mad stunt to blindside him, which was probably what Pharazôn -no, he reminded himself, Ar Pharazôn- had intended. And he should never, ever, lower his guard in front of him again; he had been doing it long enough.

“Wine, my lord King?”

“I was afraid you would never ask.”

Amandil rose to find a second cup; without further ado, Pharazôn sat on the veranda right beside the place where he had been a moment ago.

“May I inquire as to the purpose of this visit?” the lord of Andúnië asked, as he finally sat next to him again, holding a cup in each hand. Pharazôn reached for the nearest one and grabbed it.

“There are several. First, I wished to apologize for that unwarranted and undeserved attack on your leadership skills.”

Amandil raised an eyebrow. So that was how things were, wasn´t it?

“A private apology cannot cancel a public offense, as you very well know. My lord King.”

“If I could offer you a public apology, I would not have needed to offend you publicly in the first place.”

Amandil shrugged sarcastically.

“Well, that settles the matter, I suppose.”

“What were you going to say back then? When you forced yourself to swallow a retort, what would it have been?”

“It would have been the last thing one should ever tell a King.”

“To go get fucked by a goat?”

“That it was lucky for you I was present in Harad, since without me you would not be alive now. Do you remember? It was back when you were not always the infallible warrior that most people believe you to be, and could walk into traps like the rest of us. Perhaps even a touch more readily than the rest of us, if some of my recollections are correct.”

If Pharazôn was surprised at this, he gave no overt signs of it.

“I see.” For a while, he let his gaze wander through the growing shadows of the small courtyard. He looked wistful, almost a world away from the insolent confidence he had exhibited earlier. Just as Amandil was wondering what the whole point of this strange charade could be, however, he spoke again.

“The Council of Númenor is nothing but a pack of rabid dogs. If I show weakness before them, they will pounce.”

“I am surprised to hear you say that. Compared with the late King’s Council, this one seems like a model of compliance to me. When was the last time that someone other than me has questioned any of your decisions?”

“That is all a lie!” Pharazôn hissed. “It is just so on the surface, precisely because they are too afraid of me to show their true colours. But if they saw me lying on the ground, no one would offer a hand to lift me up; and if they smelled blood, they would attack. And they are but the closest evidence of something you can find elsewhere. The clergy of Melkor hates me because I am an incestuous sinner, though most pretend to bear with me under threat. The clergy of the Bay is only compliant because they fear I will favour your hypothetical pretensions to recover your ancestral lands. The people of Forostar hate me because of the soldiers, and though in the colonies they are less ready to underestimate the threat posed by the Dark Lord, even they will be angry at those new measures. As for the great landholder families that remain, I think they must be praying daily for my demise.”

“How ironic.” Amandil could not resist. “You were the first to deride Ar Gimilzôr and Tar Palantir for what you deemed their paranoia, and now it turns out that it can happen to the very best of us.”

The King looked irritated; it seemed that he, too, could hit the mark sometimes.

“I do not know if Ar Gimilzôr was right, perhaps he was. But Tar Palantir was definitely right, and so am I.”

“Is that why you are raising all those armies, then? Are the soldiers in Forostar watching me, after all?”

“No! No, no, no.” Pharazôn seemed genuinely appalled at this interpretation. “Even if I was thinking of watching someone, you would be the last person I would be wasting an army on.”

“And why is that?”

The King drank the entire glass in one go.

“Because you are the only one I can trust.”

At this, Amandil was about to drop his drink. He tried to scrutinize Pharazôn for signs of deceit, but the man who used to be his friend had grown too good at this.

“I am the only one who opposes you.”

“Of course! Were you not listening? They are all hiding their true feelings because they fear me. Only you do not hide them, you speak your thoughts to my face, and that is why I know that I can trust you. When I looked at all of their countenances this afternoon, the only glimmer of truth I could find in the whole Chamber was your desire to punch me until I bled.”

So, he had been able to see that.

“Also, Amandil, that you cannot tell a King to his face that he owes you his life does not mean that he does not remember it.”

At this, he had to do a great effort not to choke. Damn that manipulative bastard.

“If you trust me as much as you claim, then prove it. Stop taking me for a fool”, he said, regaining his poise as quickly as he could. “What is the real reason for all these unpopular measures? I am still waiting for an answer.”

Pharazôn withstood his glance.

“That was the second reason why I came. I want you to know what I am planning, and to seek your help with it.” He tipped the cup into his mouth, then cursed when he remembered that it had been emptied already.  “I am going to attack Mordor.”

If Amandil had not been sitting at this moment, his legs might have given way.

What?”

“You were right back then, in the Council chamber. Sauron was recently defeated. His forces have suffered a great setback, and he is at his weakest now, but it never takes him too long to recover. Twice I have stood near the Black Gates of Mordor after I brought the Enemy to his knees, and twice I have been prevented from destroying him utterly. Now, I am King, and there is no one left who may hinder me. If the Lord of Battles is with me, I will rid Middle-Earth of that demon’s pestilence forever, and go down in history as the greatest among the Kings of Men.”

The lord of Andúnië had been able to keep his composure during the rest of the conversation, but now his resolve was sorely tried.

“But, Pharazôn… I mean, my lord prince… King” He was aware that he was babbling. “The Dark Lord Sauron is not like us. He is an immortal. He has powers that we cannot even imagine, and he cannot be killed.”

“I know what immortal means”, Pharazôn shrugged. His eyes seemed to be lighted by an almost manic glow, which Amandil knew very well from their youth. It was how he used to look before he did something stupid -something which often managed to end relatively well, in spite of the odds, but stupid nonetheless. And no force in Earth or Heaven could ever dissuade him from it. “Still, most of his army is mortal, as you know from your own experience. As for those who are not, I have already faced one of them, even before I knew what it was, and the second time he was the one who fled from me. But, do not worry. I will no longer have to ride into battle unprepared, if you help me.”

“I? How? I may have taught you your first moves, but I am not that good.”

“The Elves. Your father lived with them for a long time, and you have had dealings with them. They are also of his immortal breed, and I know that they have fought him in the past and gathered information about his strengths and weaknesses, as well as about the nature of his servants.”

Pharazôn said this matter-of-factly, as if he was not even conscious of the fact that he was accusing Amandil’s family of treasonous dealings. But of course, it was the King who decided what was treason and what was not. Unless…

“I am sorry. I have had no further dealings with the Elves since my father returned from his appointment in the Lindon court.” He frowned. “And if I did not know better, I would almost believe that you are seeking to entrap me into admitting to treason.”

Pharazôn just waved this away as he would an annoying fly.

“There is no need to admit to anything. All you need to do is summon your father from Andúnië. Once that he is here, I will meet with him, and he will tell me everything that you know about our enemy.”

“My father is in retirement. He gave up the lordship of Andúnië long ago, and he does not wish to have anything to do with any wars or political intrigues.” When he heard of this, even Númendil would lose his unshakeable composure, he thought, his protective instincts rebelling at the very idea.

“If your father had wanted to stay away from those things, he should have stayed in Lindon instead of returning to Númenor. Please, summon him, or I will.”

He had to try a different tack.

“And why are you so sure that you can trust the Elves? They are not welcome in the Island. In the Temple scrolls, they are referred to as the First Creation, whom the gods punished because of their wickedness.”

“As I believe I said to your son once, I do not care. I have made alliances with all kinds of wretched beings, as long as they served my purpose. This will not even be an alliance: your father will merely tell me what he learned from them. As he was their friend and ally, I imagine they must have entrusted him with many of their secrets, secrets which they would have denied me. Now, it is his duty to reveal them to me, so I can lead the armies of Númenor to victory.”

“This is madness!”, he spat at last, despairing of any attempt to convince Pharazôn with reasonable arguments. “You have grown too confident because of your victories, but this is not something you can just decide on a whim. The lives of many people, perhaps the kingdom of Númenor itself, may be at stake as they never have been before. Are you ready to assume this risk?”

Pharazôn got to his feet, and stood before Amandil in all his height. Behind him, the moon was rising in the sky, lending a strange, phantasmagorical air to his features.

“I am doing nothing on a whim. The preparations have been underway for some time, and they will still take years. I have many spies in the mainland, among the Arnians and the Haradrim. Some have even infiltrated Mordor as we speak. I will have the information from the Elves, and I can assure you that I will proceed cautiously and only under reasonable hopes for victory. You have to believe me.” His gaze hardened. “And even if you do not, you have to help me, because with any morsel of information that you deny me, you will be helping the Enemy and putting Númenor at risk!”

There it was, again. Pharazôn and his policy of consummated facts. His favoured strategy of taking the initiative and forcing others to react to it had been successful in the past, as Amandil himself could bear witness. But would that work with someone as ancient and cunning as Sauron?

He has been defeated in the past. He is far from invincible, a small, hopeful voice whispered in his head.

But never in his own stronghold, the grimmer voice of reason replied. No army had ever done this, not even the Elves.

Still, he is at his weakest now. Perhaps he could be subdued somehow.

What if this was all part of a trap, to lure the Númenóreans to their annihilation?

If Mordor was gone, he mused wistfully, Arne could be the fairest country on Middle-Earth. The shadow of barbarism would depart the Bay forever. Even the Haradrim would have less reason to fight each other. Perhaps there could even be peace, and with it, a return to the ways of the Númenóreans of old. Would that not be ironic, if what Palantir had tried to do was, in fact, destined to be achieved by his successor?

Pharazôn, however, is not a man of peace. If he has no enemy to fight, he will soon find one.

Perceiving his turmoil, the King made a vague gesture towards the door.

“I will leave you to do your thinking. I am aware that this is too much to assimilate in such a short time. Once that you do, however, I am certain you will realize that this is the most glorious and beneficial deed we could ever achieve for Númenor and the whole of Middle-Earth. And I know I am destined to do this, Amandil! Remember when we used to practice swordsmanship as children? Do you remember what I used to tell you?”

“You said that you would be King and defeat the Dark Lord” Amandil remembered. How could he have forgotten? “Your mother had prophesized it.”

“Not only my mother. Amandil, the Queen sees much farther than her father ever did.”

“And she has foreseen this?”

“She has.”

The lord of Andúnië pondered this new information, feeling his turmoil grow anew. All of a sudden, he was almost selfishly glad that the King had given him an excuse to summon his father, because there was nothing he needed more, deep inside, than to speak to Númendil now.

“Think about it. “Pharazôn was walking towards the inner study, where his voice sounded thinner in the cluttered space. “You will see that I am right.”

“And if you are not, this will not hinder you”, he muttered, more to himself than to the departing figure of his childhood friend, who was no longer able to hear his words.

 

War Preparations

Read War Preparations

He looked up as soon as he heard the footsteps, quickly schooling back his features into an alert expression that would wipe away the evidence of his scattered, dark thoughts. He did not want any courtier to see him like this, without the mask of dignity and strength that no lord could have the luxury of discarding whenever they stepped inside these halls.

The person who stood before him, however, was no courtier.

“Amandil.”

“Father”, Amandil acknowledged him with a nod. Númendil looked like his usual self, calm and collected, but in the depths of his sea-grey eyes his son could see exhaustion and worry, like a treasure hidden at the bottom of a well to be preserved from the enemy’s advance.

Before they could exchange any more words, a second figure emerged from the meeting room. This one was shorter, and too slight of build as to belong to a man, and with some surprise, Amandil recognized the Queen. As she came closer to them, her black eyes trailed quickly over Númendil’s form to become fixed on his, and her lips curved into a brief smile.

“Lord Amandil”, she greeted him. Mindful of protocol, Amandil bowed low. Instead of telling him to rise, however, she turned away without bestowing any further acknowledgement on him. Slowly, he looked up, and saw that the King was standing next to her. She held his hand into hers, and for a moment they seemed to be immersed in a strange, voiceless conversation.

Suddenly, she nodded, and approached Númendil.

“Come with me” she ordered. He bowed, and left Amandil’s side to follow her. Their footsteps reverberated across the large hallway, leaving an almost ominous echo in their wake.

“She seems fond of him”, Ar Pharazôn observed, as if they were in the middle of a feast and she had invited Amandil’s father to share a drink with her. But they were not standing in the Outer Courtyard, and this was no feast – and Amandil was no fool.

“I am surprised, my lord King, that the Queen would be present when discussing military matters.” It took all his skill not to make it sound like an accusation, especially as he, who knew more about the mainland and its military matters than the Queen and his father put together, had not been invited in.

The King shrugged.

“She is as much of a ruler of Númenor as I am. She can go wherever she wishes, and listen to any conversation she wants.”

So, she is not there because you suspect my father of lying to you, and need her to wring the truth from him, as if he was a traitor or an enemy of the Sceptre, he thought bitterly. But this was not the moment nor the place to speak those thoughts aloud.

“Are things progressing to your satisfaction then, my lord King?”

Ar Pharazôn motioned him to follow, but not in the same direction that Ar Zimraphel and Númendil had taken. Instead, he led him through the Painted Gallery towards the Second Courtyard, where Amandil remembered having run after another King at the end of a stormy Council session many years ago. Courtiers and guards -the latter having gained access to certain areas of the Palace on the previous year- stood at almost every turn, bowing low before them as they passed. Amandil detected some curious looks directed at him, but most held nothing but indifference in their glances. It was not the first time that the Lord of Andúnië had been sighted in the Palace outside Council meetings, and news of the King’s unusual visit to his own mansion months ago must have spread among them as well. Though he was less eager than ever to flaunt his privileged position, sometimes a tiny part of him could not help but wonder how many sleepless nights the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay would have spent since his spies spoke to him about this.

“In many departments I can say that yes, things are progressing quite well”, the King continued at some point, as if there had been no interruption. “I have received intelligence that the defences of Mordor have been depleted in the last years, and that Sauron’s allies are scattered. Even more, it seems it is proving difficult for him to assemble new troops from the South and East. The Haradrim are distrustful of his ability to protect them after the last debacle, and though I do not know about the men of the East, they must be having similar thoughts. The Orcs he has left are still not enough to present a compelling case to those people, which is why he is using them to harass Arne and our allies in Harad.”

“I see. You seem to be quite in control of the situation, my lord King. Your net of informers must be excellent.”

“Most of them are.” Suddenly, Ar Pharazôn stopped in his tracks and faced Amandil, who stopped as well and blinked his surprise away. “But when it comes to information about Sauron himself, I am nearly as much at a loss as the first day. Now, I do not want to speak ill of your father, Amandil, but I swear he would be able to bore the very stones of this Palace to tears with his pointless ramblings. I know that you do not approve of this enterprise, and I know that he does not approve of it either, so I am almost tempted to suspect him of trying to mislead me on purpose.”

Amandil tried to swallow his irritation, but realized that it was becoming more and more difficult by the moment. He looked left and right: they were alone, out of earshot of the other Palace denizens. He could risk it.

“And what does the Queen think about this?”

For an instant, it looked as if Pharazôn might take the bait.

“We are speaking of your father, not of the Queen.”

“I merely suggest that perhaps you should ask this question to someone who was present when my father spoke”, he insisted, with the same quiet belligerence. Now, if Pharazôn truly wanted to discuss the issue, he would oblige him. “But I must admit, that if you see us as enemies, it makes more sense to me that you would wish to interrogate us separately, to better uncover the falsehoods in our discourse. That is sound strategy.”

Ar Pharazôn’s eyes gleamed in anger, and he knew he had struck a nerve. Good.

“So, you wish to be present in all of my councils? You would go wherever I go, see whatever I see, and hear everything I hear? That could be arranged, though I cannot help but wonder if you would do the same for me if I asked it of you.”

There it was, Amandil thought in dismay. The paranoia again. It seemed there could be no King without it, though at least Tar Palantir had succeeded in keeping it at bay. Then again, considering what the fate of all his hopes and reforms had been, and what his own family had done to his legacy, he might simply have been too weak to act upon it.

“You said once that you trusted me because I spoke the truth to your face”, he reminded Pharazôn hotly. “Do you still want this truth? It is here, and you do not need to go to any lengths to uncover it, for I can speak it to you as loud and clear as you want. Now, what do you say? Do you wish to hear my thoughts, or not?”

The King shrugged, as if he was suddenly too tired to answer. Perhaps he was. And then, perhaps he was just provoking him into disclosing who knew what damning evidence he suspected him to be hiding.

Perhaps paranoia was not only the ultimate fate of the King, but also of everyone who surrounded him.

“I have no idea of what my father told you. I swear it by all the Valar. If you tell me, perhaps I can help. And, if I cannot help, at least you can vent your frustration.”

He did not know if this was the answer that Ar Pharazôn had expected, but after a while, at least, his childhood friend sat in one of the benches in the garden and let go of a familiar sigh.

“He keeps doing the same in every one of our meetings. I try to ask him very specific, definite questions, but he always manages to twist what should be a simple, straightforward answer into some fantastic tale of the past which has nothing but a very flimsy connection with the subject at hand.”

“I warned you. He is not a warrior. He also spent a long time with the Elves, and you know what they say about going to them for advice.”

“That if you do, you will end your days like the Former King?” For a moment, it seemed as if there was a glint of humour in Ar Pharazôn’s expression, but it died when Amandil did not reciprocate. Though there were many who would have felt the obligation to laugh at the King’s jokes, the lord of Andúnië would never stoop so low as to deride the man who had restored him to his title, home and family before the very person who had taken the Sceptre and married his daughter against his wishes. Even if he had helped him with that himself.

“Are you sure that the tales he told had nothing to do with what you asked?” he inquired instead. “He is my father, but because of circumstances that you remember as well as I, I did not have a meaningful conversation with him before I was sixty, and at first I found it very difficult to grow used to his way of reasoning. Once I did, however, I recognized his wisdom. I had studied many dusty scrolls in the Temple and learned my way around the wars of the mainland, but as I discovered back then, those were not the only forms of knowledge that existed.”

“Well, then perhaps you should judge by yourself. I ask him if there is a way for Sauron to be permanently defeated in spite of his immortality, and he tells me of a war three thousand years ago, which he claims to be the same war taught by the priests of the Great Temples. According to him, the Lord of Battles was not merely defeated by his enemies temporarily, but forever. Now, as much as I would like to witness your Revered Father Yehimelkor’s reaction to this blasphemy, I fail to see what the outcome of a battle that took place when gods trod upon the soil of Earth can avail us now.” He shrugged. “Apparently, the Dark Lord Sauron was a survivor of this battle. He had once fought at the side of the Great God, but betrayed Him miserably and surrendered to His enemies. He promised them he would never revolt or take up arms again against their rule, but as soon as their backs were turned on him, he broke his promise to seek his own gain.”

“So, he was not defeated permanently, even by the Valar.” Amandil summed up. Pharazôn, however, only bristled in irritation.

“Then, he also told us again of that ancient war in the time of King Minastir. The Elves claim that they were deceived by Sauron, who appeared fair and wise to them, and through this deceit he conquered one of their kingdoms and threatened the surrounding area. The Núménoreans had to send a great host from the Island to crush him, but before this happened, a great destruction was wrought upon our colonies and territories.”

“I see.” Amandil sighed; he could recognize his father in those tales very well, even through Pharazôn’s mouth. “And, what did you make of this?”

“First, I should not have to make anything. I should not have to guess the obscure teachings hidden in a legend which a man saw fit to tell me after I had asked him a direct question. I have never before tolerated this behaviour from anyone, even back when I was but the commander of a small army in the mainland.”

“My father is not a soldier. No one has told him of Sauron’s weaknesses, of the strategies to get past the defences of Mordor, or the layout of his troops”, Amandil replied. “And if they had, he would probably not have been paying too much attention. But he is still trying to help you, in whatever way he can, and you would do well in accepting any help you can receive, because this accursed deed is the most dangerous of those you have ever attempted, and gone is the time when a small army in the mainland was all you had to lose.”

“Very well.” Pharazôn’s voice was cold. “I will humour both of you, then. If those tales were true, if we could ever have the certainty that they were, they show that Sauron can be defeated, not only by gods, but also by men. However, so far, no one has been able to defeat him permanently. He cannot be killed, and his capacities for deceit are great, so he merely bides his time until it is safe for him to reappear again. He has tricked gods and Elves into believing his lies, and he will also trick me, for I am but a mere mortal, and cannot possibly succeed where they have failed. The expedition I am planning would either end in disaster if I lost or prove futile if I won, so I should while my days idly in my palace of Armenelos instead, and turn a blind eye to all his crimes. But if I do so, and his strength and pride grow ever greater, and he stands before the gates of Pelargir again, or your son’s capital of Arne, or Umbar, or the Middle Havens or, the Baalim forbid, Lindon itself, the same people who counsel me against this will fall on their knees, begging me to face him.” His gaze was fixed on Amandil’s, with an intensity that the lord of Andúnië found hard to withstand. “What do you think? Have I done well deciphering your Elvish wisdom, or not?”

Elven wisdom, perhaps, Amandil thought, uncomfortable in spite of himself. As if from another life, he recalled the lengthy conversations with Númendil by the shores of Rómenna, after both returned from their long exile. Back then, he had had as much difficulty to understand his father and his strange beliefs as Pharazôn had now, but it had not merely been a matter of a long-lost soul coming back into the fold and assimilating the wise teachings of his ancestors. His father, with his remarkable humility, had realized that they, too, had to learn to understand his way of thinking.

For a long time, we of the house of Andúnië have dwelt in isolation, both imposed by others and created by ourselves in our pride. When they took you away, brought you to all these places... it was necessary so you could become the person that we would need in the future.

Then, he had become lord of them all, and this future had arrived sooner than he had imagined. He had needed to make the choice to support Pharazôn in his bid for the Sceptre, and he had done so, even though it had often crossed his mind that his ancestors might have acted differently. And now, what lay before him was a different challenge altogether, one which he could either face with Elven wisdom, or with the logic of Men. Elves were wise, yes, for they had seen much and learned much in their long lives, and they probably had the measure of Sauron much better than any Númenórean could ever have. He had no doubt about that, and yet, what he was not so sure of was whether the Elves had the measure of Men at all.

Other words, of a discussion he had almost forgotten, came to his mind through the haze of distance and time.

“I mean no offense, but could an immortal ever understand how it is to be us? To have the whole of eternity shrink to the size of a brief lifespan, and be unable to consider anything that falls outside it with the same degree of accuracy and immediacy? For us Men, the past is but a blurred shadow, to be fashioned and refashioned at will by the keepers of records, while the future lies outside our grasp, only to be considered to the extent that we may worry about the fate of our children or grandchildren. And I will go even further, my lord, and apply this to space as well as to time. How could a passing traveller ever understand how it is to have but one world to live in, to see it defiled by the Shadow, and be unable to escape it for an Undying Land across the Sea? Those of you who are exiles bemoan your fate, but we were not exiled. This is our world: here we were born, here we will die, and here we will bring forth our children whether the Shadow is upon us or not. And here, the outcome of a single battle might doom them or free them, though for you it may seem but one of many.”

“And yet you were also given the gift of a land beyond the Sea, free from the Shadow. You could have been content with it, but you chose to involve yourselves in the affairs of Middle-Earth, bringing strife and danger upon yourselves.”

He had held that conversation with one of Lord Númendil’s friends in Andúnië, many years ago. Back then, he had graciously conceded to his guest, but he knew very well what someone like Pharazôn would have said to the Elf, if he had been there.

“If we had not, the last remnants of your wretched people would have been killed or forced to flee long ago, and all of Middle-Earth would be ruled by Sauron. Is this the order of things that you and your Baalim in the West believe should have prevailed? If so, perhaps they are not as much the enemies of the Dark Lord as you pretend them to be.”

Amandil was sure that the Valar were no friends of the Dark Lord. But he had to admit that sometimes it would seem hard for the men who fought the shadow of Mordor to believe otherwise. He, too, had known the soldiering life, and also the life of courtly intrigue, which was scarcely less dangerous, and in both places, he had learned a bitter truth: that those who pursued the same objectives as your enemies, whatever their intentions or background, were their natural allies -and also your natural enemies. To be held back from defeating one’s hated enemy in the name of a forgotten past or an uncertain future, how would this appear any different to a Man from hostile intentions?

“What is it? Have you been possessed by one of their fell spirits, or have you been stricken dumb?” Aghast, he realized that he had allowed himself to be lost in those musings, and that the King was still standing before him, awaiting his reply. He forced himself to return to the present, hoping that he was not beginning to grow as oblivious to the passing of time as Númendil.

“I am sorry, I was briefly distracted”, he apologized. “Look, I cannot pretend that I am at ease with this expedition. I am greatly concerned, and I wish that you would not go ahead with it. I wish that you would merely fight Sauron to defend our territories as Númenor has done until now, instead of invading him and seeking his annihilation, something which, as my father reminds us, others have already failed to do, either at their own peril or that of others.” Pharazôn seemed about to interrupt, but he ploughed on. “But I also know that there is no way under Heaven that I, or anyone else, would be able to convince you that it is a good idea to sit in inaction while your enemy regains his strength, seizes the initiative and attacks your settlements, threatening many of your people and killing your allies. I know this, and therefore, I will not attempt it anymore. All I want from you, and I swear I will fight you bitterly in the Council or elsewhere to achieve it, is that you will involve me, and hide nothing from me, and trust me enough to listen to my counsel.”

“Is that what it would take to have you cease looking at me as if you could kill me with your stare?”

Amandil shook his head.

“I do not know. But I will try to gather more detailed information from my father myself, and then the Queen will not have to spend her evenings trying to read him.”

At this, Ar Pharazôn merely shrugged, unabashed.

“It might be a welcome change. However,” Now, it was his own eyes which became fixed on Amandil, and his stare was just as murderous as the ones he had just accused him of giving.” Be forewarned that I am not going to let you or the Elves interfere with my plans. If you wish to help me, you are welcome, but if you try to hinder me, I will not stand for it.”

Amandil sighed. Nothing he should not have expected.

“That seems fair enough, my lord King.”

Small as the space he had been allotted was, he thought, he would force himself to find a way to work with it. And one day, if Eru was willing, he would be able to look back and judge if it had been worth it or not.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Perhaps I should leave”.

Surprised, Elendil lifted his glance from the evolutions of the red autumn leaves floating on the pond of the Queen’s gardens. Eluzîni had risen to her feet, and she was staring at him with a deep frown of displeasure. For a moment, he was at a loss as to what he could have done to warrant this reaction, as he had been sitting still for a long while, speaking very little, if at all.

Just as he thought this, the answer came to him.

“I am sorry, Eluzîni. Please, stay. I have allowed myself to become distracted by thoughts that do not belong in this place, or to this company.”

She did not give signs of relenting.

“They must be very important thoughts if they can make you forget that I am here. And if that is so, perhaps you should share them with me.”

It was a fearful ability of hers, to hide deadly snares behind apparently innocent statements. If he should claim now that what he was thinking was not important, she would be justified in her anger, but if it was important, he had no excuse not to tell her.

“I was thinking about this morning’s meetings, with the Council and the leaders of the Arnian army”, he surrendered, grudgingly. “I would not wish to bore you with the details…”

“If you are going to think about it anyway, I would rather you thought about it aloud, so I can hear it too”, she cut him. He sighed. So much for that.

“Very well. As you already know, our King is planning a major campaign.” None in the Women’s Court were within earshot of their conversation, and yet he still felt the need to be prudent in his choice of words. “And in his great wisdom, he has decided that the Arnian army, which has protected Arne for centuries, must now join the Númenórean army and become integrated with it.”

“And considering your frown, I gather that the Arnians are not happy about that”, she guessed. He nodded.

“Of course they are not happy about that. They are most unhappy about it, in fact.”

“How unhappy, exactly?”

“Unhappy to the point of making me think that it could be a good idea for you and Ilmarë to return to Númenor for a while.”

Eluzîni’s eyes widened briefly, then narrowed again as they became fixed on his with what he recognized as her familiar stubborn expression.

“While you stay here and risk your life? While Isildur stays here and risks his? Never.” He opened his mouth to argue, but she did not let him. “And I am not sure I even understand the reasons for all this fuss. Arne is ruled from Númenor, so shouldn’t it follow naturally that its army would, too? Furthermore, there are Númenórean troops here, helping protect Arne, and they delivered it from the Dark Lord only a few years ago. They have been working with the Arnian army all this time.”

“Protecting Arne, yes”, he explained. “This country lies at the very border of Mordor, and as such it has lived under its constant threat for centuries. In these latter times, their kings were tempted to strike deals with their ancient enemy for various reasons, but this should not obscure the other lessons that their past can offer. For years uncounted, Arne battled the armies of Mordor and managed to keep their borders intact, with some Númenórean help, it is true, but also largely through their own blood and toil. What do you think they should say if, all of a sudden, the Númenórean Sceptre orders them to give away their main source of protection and send it to the other end of the world, perhaps to serve as bait in some conqueror’s clever strategy?”

“Is this what the King wants to do with the Arnian army?” Eluzîni waded across the edge of the pond, and came to sit next to him, the red silk of her robes almost grazing his arm. “I thought it was merely a way to organize things more efficiently for the campaign, but why would an army that is already stationed here, next to Mordor, need to be taken somewhere else?”

“I do not know. They do not know, either, and there is no way for any of us to be sure. That is what they are scared of – not knowing. And there is more. “Wondering belatedly how she had this ability of making him open his heart as he would not have done for anyone else, he continued. “The King wants the army to fall under the command of Lord Bodashtart.”

“What? That ghastly old man? I thought he was here as your advisor!”

“He is here as the King’s trusted servant, for whatever purpose may be required of him.” Elendil retorted. Eluzîni looked indignant.

“Does this mean that the King does not trust you, then?”

“Perhaps he does, but not enough to send several thousand Arnians to their deaths.” Elendil shrugged, but his expression was grim. “That is what they think, at least, and given the situation, could you blame them? If the King meant them no harm, he would just leave things as they were, and he would let them remain in Arne. He would have no need to force them to accept those new conditions, or put someone else in charge.”

“Well”, Eluzîni seemed strangely absorbed by the gleam of the afternoon sun in the surface of the water. “At least, it seems that they think highly of you. The Arnians.”

“That might not last very long.” And this in spite of the years he had needed to toil in order to earn every single inch of this goodwill, he could not help but think with a surge of bitterness.

“So, you are going to submit to the King’s will.”

“Of course I am going to submit to the King’s will! What other options do you think I have?”

He had not really expected her to answer this question, so it almost didn’t register in his mind when she did.

“Well, perhaps you should find some way to deal with this situation that does not involve a full-scale rebellion of the kingdom of Arne, because I am sure that cannot be the King’s will. If it is you that the Arnians would follow, not him or his “trusted servants”, why shouldn’t he listen to your advice before he goes around deciding who is to…?”

“That is very dangerous talk, Eluzîni”, he interrupted her, his face pale. But she did not back down.

“Not for you! He cannot harm you, I know about that oath! And if he recalls you and you have to return to the Island, at least you would not have to be here, putting your life at risk so far from home.”

The oath. He wanted to cringe, ashamed at the remembrance, and at the same time, worried that her raised voice would carry her words towards indiscreet ears. Could Ar Pharazôn be ruing the day that he uttered it, in a moment of careless, open generosity towards a friend who was torn for having to leave his wife and his unborn child to an uncertain situation? Did he resent him, and could this be the reason why he had wanted him so far away from Armenelos and his court?

Had he been afraid of the power this could give him?

The idea spread through his mind with the speed of a soaring eagle, leaving a great turmoil in his wake. Too late, or so it seemed to him, his prudent side tried to quell it, but the ramifications were already too far-reaching. If only he would… if only he dared…

Had she known that her words would have this effect on him?

“You are a dangerous woman”, he said, his tope flippant in an attempt to hide how much this conversation had affected him. “Now, I believe we should speak of lighter things, or the very fish in the pond will swim away to avoid being associated with you.”

She frowned, whether in earnest or also trying to feign a different mood, Elendil could not tell.

“Very well. But only as long as you promise not to forget my presence.”

He smiled.

“I will never commit that mistake again.”

 

*      *      *      *      *

 

That night, as he retreated to his chambers, Elendil’s mood became even more brooding and silent. He did not speak a word that was not essential, and retired early for the night. The next day, he would also have to rise early to attend another meeting with the chiefs of the Arnian military, to continue the previous day’s interrupted discussion.

“I hope there will be more discussion today, and less uncivilized yelling, banging, and name calling”, Bodashtart remarked, his lips curving in disdain as they emerged from the gate at the front of the large chamber, flanked by six Númenórean guards who looked rather apprehensive from their past experience. The men who stood waiting for them, as he should have expected, did not look any less belligerent than they had when they were last dismissed. They bowed before them, but their bows were curt, as if they did not wish to appear ready to give even an inch. In the first row, Maharis, chief of cavalry and hero of the Arnians, looked especially threatening, with his thick beard that hid the large scar he had received fighting against Mordor. Once, Elendil remembered, the man had pointed at his own scar, much fainter but still visible on his left cheek, and claimed that they had both been marked by the same fate. It had been nothing but an empty pleasantry, and yet it was also something Elendil could hold on to when his tenuous relationship with the old man was undergoing a difficult moment. At this point, however, Maharis seemed closer to inflicting new wounds than he was to bonding over them.

“Lord Elendil of Andúnië, Governor of Arne and appointed legate of King Pharazôn, Favourite of Melkor, and of Queen Zimraphel, Favourite of Ashtarte-Uinen, Protectors of Númenor and the colonies!” the herald announced him. He sat, and everybody followed suit, just as grudgingly as they had bowed. Even as he spoke of picking up the threads of the previous reunion right where they had left them, he was sure that the explosion would not take long to come.

“Once, I signed a treaty with the man who now sits upon the throne of Númenor and holds your Sceptre”, Maharis spoke, brandishing an old piece of parchment as if it was a sword on a battlefield. “It was a declaration of mutual support in times of need, and of an alliance to fight a common enemy. In this treaty, there were two equal parties: the Númenórean army, and the Arnian army. So it was back then, and so it would be for the times to come, whenever the shadow of Mordor arose to threaten either Arne or Pelargir. Now, however, this treaty is broken, and it was not us who broke it!”

“That is a fallacy, Lord Maharis”, Bodashtart cut him drily. “No Númenórean general has ever signed a treaty in the terms that you speak of. All the treaties that we sign are unequal, because our army is the greatest in the world, and so it is the other tribes and nations who fall under our protection, not the other way around. That is why those treaties can never negate Numenórean sovereignty over any territory where our arms have been victorious.”

“And yet without us, you would have lost Pelargir!”

“Without us, without our King, you would have lost yourselves, and we would not be having this conversation, for you would no longer exist, except perhaps as slaves to Sauron or his allies.” Bodashtart spat. “Now, he needs you, and you have to put your weapons at his service. It is this simple.”

“To go to a distant land and lose our lives while our women and children are left unprotected before the advance of the Orcs?” Many voices had risen at once, causing a great ruckus in the hall, but Maharis was still the loudest. “How, pray, is this any different from being slaves to Sauron?”

“You are too humble, to ask such a question to someone who knows much less about it than you do. It was not long ago that Mordor held sway over Arne, and though it was for less than a year, your royal family was extinguished, together with many of the realm’s greatest families. Or perhaps you have already forgotten?”

“No, my lord, I may belong to what you call the short-lived folk, but I remember that quite well. I also remember, when I was a young child, that many Arnian nobles lost their lives after another war, including my father and my uncle. Our King was executed together with them, and his brother, the Prince Noxaris, died in battle with his two sons. I thought it had been Sauron who did that, but my mother told me that it had been the Prince Pharazôn. I believe he is also the same person as your King now!”

“If that was so, it was because your father was a traitor, and now you are but a step away from following his example!”

Elendil rose to his feet. No matter how loud the voices were, or how blinded the warriors were by their rage, the sudden awareness of his height after he had been sitting for some time never failed to bring an almost superstitious silence to a room. Taking advantage of this opening, which he knew would be brief, he fixed his glance on Maharis.

“Lord Maharis, my lords, please. The King has ordered that the Arnian army should be part of the war effort in upcoming campaigns, as it was covered in the treaty that you once signed. There is no reason why you should lose your lives in distant lands while your women and children are undefended, as you say. Those are nothing but groundless fears, which you have agitated so much that in the end you have started to believe them yourselves!”

A younger man -Dameris, vice-chief of the archers- rose at once. Though his voice was not raised as that of the others had been, his gaze was intense enough as to compensate for it.

 “If that was true, my lord, you would be able to prove it! Instead of that, you offer us vague words of reassurance, while you surrender us to the authority of this man and refuse to have anything else to do with our fate! What do you expect us to think?”

“How does that affect this issue? I am a Númenórean loyal to the King, and so is Lord Bodashtart. Why would you feel reassured if it was me, and not him, who was in command of the Arnian army?”

“You are the governor of Arne! And the only Númenórean governor of Arne who has ever bothered to rule this country and its people as if we were not a tribe of wild savages!” There were noises all around him, which Elendil realized were expressions of assent. He swallowed, even as he made a vague sign at the irate Lord Bodashtart to calm down. “Let me put it this way, my lord: the fact that you are not in command of the army is the reason why we do not trust this manoeuvre at all!”

“And would you trust me, then? Would you believe me if I said that your women and children would not be left without protection, and that you would not be taken to a distant land to die?”

“What does it matter? The King will not leave you a choice!” Maharis hissed, back to the fray again. “He wants Lord Bodashtart in charge, and we all know what this means!”

“How dare you?” Elendil grabbed the old man’s arm as it instinctively went towards the place where his sword used to be, though for this meeting they had all agreed to leave them outside. Even as he did so, he did not look away from his interlocutor for a moment.

“In this case, it may interest you to know that I have relayed your concerns to the King in Armenelos. Yesterday, I finally received a response.” He steeled himself for what he was going to say, for those words, once they left his lips, could never be recalled again. “He has agreed to put me at the head of the Arnian army, in addition to my duties as governor. If you should ever go anywhere, I will go with you, and if you should risk your lives, I will risk mine with you. As for your wife and children, you know that mine live in Arne as well. If you believe that I would leave the Lady Lalwendë and the Lady Ilmarë without protection, then you may fear for your families, but if you do not, there is no reason to concern yourselves needlessly.”

Now, at last, he had finally managed the feat to leave everyone in the hall speechless - even Bodashtart, who went pale and tried to form words with his mouth, but the voice would not come.

“Is this true, lord governor?” Dameris asked. “The King said this?”

It was an expression of shock and surprise. It was not an accusation, he told himself, trying to force himself not to surrender to his fears. Thankfully, no one seemed to notice his inner turmoil, and his voice was as even, as full of authority as it had ever been.

“Yes, lord Dameris. He did.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Later, as he managed to reach his quarters, pushing past a throng of commanders, captains, lords, and courtiers who wanted to ask him, congratulate him, and press him for details, Elendil had to swallow a powerful knot that remained stuck in his throat. He knew that he had made the right decision for the situation at hand, and through his action, he had probably averted an impending disaster, for the Maharis who had argued with Bodashtart in the main hall had looked no different from a man who was showing his credentials as spokesman of a rebellion. On the other hand, he had made himself an enemy of Lord Bodashtart today; the old man would never forgive him for petitioning the King to usurp his place.

And he had committed treason. Not open treason, for he had lied and pretended to be following the King’s orders, but treason, nonetheless, and Ar Pharazôn was free to ignore everything that had been said together with his self-appointment, not to mention relieve him from his post - and perhaps worse. If he had been anyone else, he might even have died for this.

He, however, could not, for the King had sworn an oath. And if he did not even have to risk his life, should it not be his duty to risk everything else if with it he would save others? Once that Ar Pharazôn heard about this, his best option if he wanted to save face was to go through with it and pretend that it had been his will, saving his revenge for a later time. And if he did so, he would also have to think twice before sending the Arnian army to a risky location, for Elendil would be among them.

If he was lucky, he would not feel the wrath of the Sceptre until the end of the war with Mordor. And then, if they won, Arne might be rid of the Mordor problem once and for all, and then perhaps it would not be so difficult for them to accept to turn their backs on their wives and children to do the King’s bidding. And, if they lost- well, in that case Elendil supposed that it would cease to matter, too. For a moment, it was as if an oppressive cold had taken hold of his heart, and he had to force himself to discard that pessimistic train of thought. Númenor, surrounded by the infinite expanse of the Great Sea, was never threatened by the mainland wars, but those who lived in Middle-Earth had their lives hanging from a thread continuously. It had been one thing when his father had been a soldier in the mainland, or when he and Isildur had joined this life, but only in recent times he had begun to understand the terribly uncertainty of those, colonists and barbarians alike, whose families lived in the mainland with them.

Perhaps almost enough as to sacrifice to the Lord of Battles, an insidious voice whispered in his ear. He sighed, remembering Tar Palantir’s dream of a peaceful world of Númenórean colonies that did not need armies to fight for them, or outlandish gods to protect them. It had proved vain, as fantastical as the tales which mothers told their children before they went to bed. Now, at the verge of fighting their greatest enemy, and hopefully defeating him, his mood was still dark, and he wondered why it had become so difficult to even imagine a world at peace.

Because Men are not peaceful, a voice, which somehow sounded very similar to that of the King, when he was still the Prince of the South and took him on his Pelargir campaign, spoke inside his head. It is simply not in our nature. If we were not fighting others, we would be fighting among ourselves.

That night, for the second time in a row, Elendil could not manage to fall asleep.

Racing Fate

Read Racing Fate

A strange mood was upon the Council of Númenor that morning, as Amandil and Anárion made their way towards their appointed seats. All around the large chamber, friends, allies and aides gathered in the usual groups to discuss issues and exchange impressions, but their whispered conversations seemed to have an urgent, passionate quality which had been absent from other meetings, presided by the twin blunt instruments of orderly protocol and mindless apathy. The lord of Andúnië stopped for a moment in his tracks, wondering how much of this was only in his disturbed imagination -that night, his nightmares had been the most vivid he could remember in a very long while -, and to what extent were his instincts warning him that something was truly amiss.

“Greetings, Lord Itashtart”, he nodded to the man who sat to his left.

“Well met, Lord Amandil. My dear grandson, how are you?” the lord of Hyarnustar replied, with a vague smile in Anárion’s direction. The young man never challenged the title, Amandil did not know if because he believed in blood ties above those of adoption, or because he was too polite to contradict him. “Are you ready for another round of tedious speeches?”

“Oh, I do not know. Perhaps it is just me, my lord, but there seems to be an uncharacteristic excitement in the air today.” Even as he spoke, he was growing more and more convinced that the strange mood he had detected was not merely real, but appeared to be shared by people who had no ties of friendship or alliance between them other than the privilege of belonging to the highest advisory body of the realm. While he looked at them, he caught several people -the governor of Sor, then the merchant spokesman of Pelargir, and barely a few seconds later, the Palace Priest- returning his gaze. A feeling of uneasiness began to take hold of him.

“Bah, excitement!” Itashtart snorted, in a disparaging tone. “Whoever has known real excitement knows that there is nothing worth that name to be found here. Though I must admit, Lord Amandil, that you are often the only reason why I do not fall asleep, with your futile yet magnificent attempts to oppose the King’s will.”

It heartens me to know that I am almost as entertaining as a whore to you, Lord Itashtart, Amandil thought crossly, even as he smiled to him and left to find his seat. The wretched man would never lift a finger to help him, even though he resented Ar Pharazôn and secretly enjoyed seeing him challenged as much as the next man.

They are too afraid of me to show their true colours, but if they saw me lying on the ground, no one would offer a hand to lift me up. And if they smelled blood, they would attack, he had said that night, his hand clenched over Amandil’s cup. It was almost infuriating how a man who had seemed so airheaded in his youth could turn to be so accurate in his assessment of the people around him.

He certainly had not spared the means to intimidate them into keeping to that subservient position, Amandil thought ruefully. The southern, richer part of Forostar was teeming with “retired” soldiers now, so much that many of the peasants were emigrating to other places, chief of all Amandil’s own lands in the Andustar, and though most of the Armenelos garrison had been depleted by the muster of troops for the expedition, everybody was unpleasantly aware that they had what amounted to an army at a day’s march from them. On the Eastern front, Sor had become a second Umbar, with a temporary town of soldiers growing around the merchant city and threatening to overwhelm it. Frequent deployments across the Island had forced all of them to bear the expenses of repairing and manning all of Ar Adûnakhôr’s ancient roads and inns, spurred on by the knowledge that, if they were not diligent enough, the soldiers would take the food and shelter by their own initiative. Amandil had confronted Pharazôn with all this many times in the Council, though never as openly as he would have wished to, for he could not afford to lose whatever influence he had on the preparations for the war on Mordor. No matter how appalled and pressured the rest of them were feeling at these measures, however, no one had ever joined their voice to his.

And now, they all seemed aware of something he was not. The uneasiness grew as he wondered what this circumstance could portend, until it turned into an ominous feeling. Today, he had entered the Palace bent into what would probably be one of his last battles before the war started, and this had managed to wrongfoot him before it had even begun.

“Ar Zimraphel, Favourite of Ashtarte-Uinen, Protectress and guardian of Númenor and its colonies!”, the herald spoke.

For a moment, he stood there, uncomprehending, as if the words had been spoken in a forgotten barbarian dialect of the mainland. Then, he saw everybody else rise to their feet, and the short and slight frame of the Queen of Númenor walking slowly towards them. She wore a diadem of silver and sapphires, and her robes were sewn in matching hues of blue and grey, the colours she had favoured since she emerged from the Forbidden Cave before the eyes of the superstitious populace. Her features, as usual, reminded him of a statue: extraordinarily beautiful, and unmarred by the slightest trace of human emotion.

She held the Sceptre in her hands.

“Sit, my lords”, she ordered, in a clear, ringing voice. The entire Chamber obeyed, almost in unison, except for Amandil, who was too shocked to register her words in time. Her gaze sank into his, and he felt an instinctive revulsion, remembering that day she had looked inside him and spat words that had been hateful but true.

“What is it, Lord Amandil? Do you already wish to object, even before I have introduced the subject of our discussion?”

A few people smiled, but Amandil paid no heed to them.

“Where is the King?” he asked. Zimraphel feigned surprise, but in a way that seemed remote and misplaced, as if she was going through motions that she had rehearsed before a mirror. Maybe she had.

“What do you mean, where is the King? You were informed of his departure for Sor, as was every lord in this Council.”

“I gather that he intends to return.”

Zimraphel shook her head.

“It has been our decision to advance the date of his departure from Midsummer to Spring, so as to give the enemy no chance to prepare for his attack.”

“His departure”, Amandil repeated. The others were looking at him with a mixture of apprehension and amusement, probably coming to the realization that he had been played for a fool in public as some twisted form of revenge for his insolence, but he refused to surrender to discouragement. “The King of Númenor’s departure for the mainland.”

“Yes”, she nodded blandly, as if they were talking about the weather. “That is right, Lord Amandil.”

For all this time, Amandil had been aware that Pharazôn intended to be personally at the head of the conquering army, but the King had been careful not to state as much in words, not even when he revealed his plans to the Council. For he had known well enough that this was, perhaps, the only way in which Amandil might successfully challenge him. In the thousands of years since the realm of Númenor was established, with the only exception of a King whom time had turned into little more than a paradigm of impiety in children’s tales, no ruling King had ever left the Island of Númenor, much less led his armies to war without leaving an heir behind.

In the end, as it turned out, he had left anyway, without discussing it with the Council or biding an official farewell to the nobles and dignitaries of the realm. All he had done was send notice to the councilmen before his departure, and those spineless fools had done nothing to prevent it.  And Amandil, who had been involved with the preparations since before those men even knew what was in the King’s mind, had been purposefully left in the dark.

Still, not even the biting awareness of the futility of any resistance at this point could deter him from pressing his argument.

“I must have missed this message, my Queen, for I knew not of it until now. The King’s haste must have been great, indeed, to depart at such short notice, with no official ceremonies, no farewells and no sacrifices. I am aware that speed may present us with an advantage in the upcoming war, but why would there be need to leave the capital like a thief in the night? Are there spies of the Dark Lord in Númenor, reporting on the King’s every move?”

“Mind your words, Lord Amandil!” General Eshmounazer, as ever, was quick to jump in response. “We were all informed of the King’s departure. If you were not so, perhaps it is because he is not certain of your loyalty?”

“My loyalty? How dare you, General?” His anger was quicker, and its fire hotter than usual. “I declared for him when the Island was in chaos, put all my resources at his disposition, and fought for him in the civil strife that followed. And in Harad, we were fighting side by side long before you had even met him!”

“Perhaps the message did miss you by accident, my lord”, the lord of Orrostar intervened, in a placating tone which Amandil found even more repelling than the general’s outright mistrust.

“That is not the point, my lords, my Queen! No King had ever left the Island for any reason since Aldarion, and there is no precedent whatsoever for a ruler of Númenor risking his life in the mainland without having any heirs of the body!” he said, his voice raised above the murmurations. “Think about it! If anything should happen to him, may Eru forbid it! this realm would be thrown into chaos, and the resulting crisis would have no precedent in our long years of history! How could the Council, the highest advisory body in Númenor, accept this risk with such unseemly indifference?”

This time, he could see some of them squirm uncomfortably at his words. The lord of Orrostar refused to look at him, and at the other end of the Chamber, the governor of Sor was exchanging whispers with the Magistrate of Umbar.

Ar Zimraphel’s black, frozen eyes met his.

“He will not.”

“What?” His mind set on his own tirade, Amandil could not make sense of this affirmation. Her gaze narrowed in contempt, as if he was a fool for not understanding.

“He will not fall. He will come back alive”, she clarified. The High Chamberlain rose, his lips curved in an ingratiating smile.

“Of course, my Queen. We have the same faith in his greatness as you do.”

The contemptuous glare shifted towards him.

“I do not have faith, Lord Chamberlain.” The word was like a curse in her mouth. “I have knowledge. A knowledge which is beyond each and every one of you, no matter how much you raise your voices, speak threateningly and pretend to know what you are talking about.” She stood on her feet, animated by an unusual spark of activity that seemed to clash with the fallacy of the ivory goddess. “The King will be back, and his triumphant return will herald an age of Númenórean glory, a glory which cannot be augmented by your flattery or diminished by your jealousy. For you are nothing but mere mortals, fated to remain unaware of the designs of Heaven until they are forced upon you.”

The silence that followed those words were absolute. Even the murmurations died out, as everyone turned to stare at Ar Zimraphel as if she had somehow managed to grow taller than her stature. Even Amandil, who had known her for a long time, felt his voice die in his mouth as his eyes beheld a sudden vision of a large shadow, cast by a woman who could not even reach his shoulder with the top of her head.

She did not look at him again.

“Now, my lords, let us discuss the matters pertaining to this Council session.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

A dark mood lay heavily upon Amandil as he abandoned the Palace and headed for the Armenelos residence. He must have looked so forbidding that not even Anárion spoke a word to him on the way, and after they arrived, he gave orders to be left alone. As the sun gradually declined in the sky, he sat in the garden of his study, brooding, all notions of time lost in the turmoil of his thoughts.

At some point, recalling that he had promised to sit with Amalket in the afternoon was the only thing that could jerk him away from his listlessness, as he had to gather his composure enough to go looking for her. He found the lady of Andúnië sitting in her favourite spot of the courtyard, drinking tea with sweets, one of the pleasures she still liked to indulge in. As always, seeing him brought a frown to her already wrinkled forehead, though Amandil had grown to suspect that it was largely a pose, just because she no longer remembered how to interact with him in a different way. He listened to her usual complaints about her day-to-day activities, and the people who were supposed to help with them, but instead seemed bent on hindering her at every turn. Then, she asked him about the Council meeting, and before he was aware of it, he was pouring all his bitterness onto her.

“I do not understand you”, she grumbled, after he had been talking for a while without interruption. “You are angry because he left without telling you, and yet what could you have done if he had? If you believe that you could have stopped him from doing exactly as he wished, you are deluding yourself. He has been set on leading this expedition since he began his preparations, probably much earlier than that, and he would have done it over your dead body.”

Amandil frowned.

“He has done something which has no precedent in the history of Númenor.”

“Such as marrying his own cousin and sharing the Sceptre with her?” she retorted sharply. “He does not follow laws or precedents. He is the Golden King, and he does what he wants.”

“It is not so simple.”

“For him, it is. If you cannot see that, then you are blinder even than that bunch of fools in the Council.”

If blindness is refusing to see that Men cannot be saved, then it is the noblest of all flaws, my lord King. His own words to another blind man, who had also mourned his own inability to change the tide in spite of all his power, came back to his mind to mock him. He bristled in discomfort at this parallel, and at the general idea that a man who saw clearly was a man who knew there was no point in trying to change anything.

“You were expecting the King to appear before the Council to announce his departure, but what then? What did you expect that would happen? Would year after year of costly preparations have been undertaken, only for him to agree to stay in Armenelos?”

“I was trying to win us some time.”

“Time for what?”

“For me and Father to persuade him to… rethink his plans.” It sounded foolish even to his own ears. Damn her. “If he could have been made to stay here until he had an heir…”

“An heir!” Amalket laughed dryly. “Is it not obvious that he cannot have one?”

“It is treasonous to speak in that manner”, he replied. He did not want to discuss Pharazôn’s lack of heirs with Amalket, much less the old rumours about the Queen which had grown more insidious than ever after she took a second husband.

“Or perhaps you wanted to go face Sauron yourself, as a legate?” she inquired, as if she had not even heard him. “Because Sauron would not be able to play games with you, the leader of the Faithful!”

Amandil did not rise to this bait, though his mind was racing. In spite of her uncomfortable bluntness, he had to admit that Amalket had a point. Deep inside, he knew that Pharazôn would never have sent him; he had always led all his expeditions himself, and being King would not be enough to deter him. It would merely have been one more ancient law for him to break. As for convincing him to wait, it had been hard enough to restrain him for the last years, as reports from his informers had arrived one after another to the Island, telling him that the time was ripe for an attack. If Amandil was completely sincere with himself, this was no battle that he could ever have hoped to win.

But then, why was he so angry? Was it for the deception? The humiliation before the entire Council? He should not feel insulted by it, considering that he had been marked by this action as the only man who, in the King’s mind, could have possibly opposed his departure strongly enough as to become an obstacle he would rather avoid. But if that was not the reason, what was? What was eating at his insides, so much that it was impossible for him to dispel the clouds from his mind even for a moment?

“I had the dream last night, Amalket.” He saw her expression begin to contort in her familiar grimace of distaste, but ploughed on before she could speak. “It is connected to this… event, I know it is.”

“You have always had this dream. Since you were a child, that Wave has been terrorizing you in your sleep. Do you mean to say that your whole life has been connected to this event?”

At those words, Amandil’s irritation finally became too much to be contained.

“I do not know, Amalket. But let me remind you that our son is in the mainland, at the head of the largest army of our allies. If something goes wrong, he will be caught in the middle of it. If there is anything to be flippant about, please tell me, because I cannot see it.”

Her stricken look gave him pause, and the next moment he was already sorry for his words. She loved Elendil with all her heart, more than what even Amandil himself could, and he knew that all she looked forward to in the years that remained to her was the moment when they would be able to meet again.

“Do you… think that Halideyid will be in danger?”

He sighed, wondering how to fix his mistake.

“No. No, no. I mean, no more than he usually is, with his borders so close to Mordor. He will probably have to deploy the Arnian troops around the border while the King launches his attack. I do not imagine… He has always been cautious and prudent.” He could not think of anything else to say. “You should not worry.”

“Because that is all it takes for a mother to stop worrying. For you to tell her that she should not worry”, she spat. “You also told me that he would be back soon from the Pelargir war!”

That was not true; it was Elendil himself who had promised her this, and then found himself unable to fulfil his promise. But her memory had always been selective when it came to their son. If someone had wronged her, even against their will, it could never be him.

“You are right. I do worry, too” he nodded, placatingly. “That is the reason why my temper is so short these days, and I apologize for it. Please, Amalket let us make peace. At least then we may be able to worry together.”

Amalket’s lips barely uncurled, and her brow unfurrowed only for the time that she needed to ponder his words.

“I do not need you to worry by my side. You are not good at that”, she said, with a contempt that was tempered by a hard, appraising look. “You are only good when you can do something.”

Amandil had no answer for this.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

His father was standing in the corridor, still like a statue with its features shrouded in shadow. For a moment, Amandil stopped in his tracks, unable to recognize him until he heard the familiar voice.

“Will you walk with me?” Númendil asked. Amandil had no wish to see people at the moment, much less the crowds in the streets of Armenelos, but somehow, his head nodded on its own accord.

Dusk was falling as the two of them left the mansion wrapped in cloaks, hoods drawn over their faces to avoid being recognized. He and Pharazôn had done this quite often in the past, Amandil recalled, and it seemed that they had been unable, each in their own way, to let go of the habit.

Like a thief in the night, he had said before the Council, that very morning. Strong words, inspired by his anger, but ironically spoken by the man who had spent a large part of his life in hiding. If Pharazôn could have heard his speech, the irony might not have been lost on him, and perhaps he would have crafted a suitable retort to mock Amandil with subtle reminders of his past.

He had no particular destination in mind, or knowledge of where they might go, so he merely followed his father past the narrow, winding streets of the Palace Hill’s lower slope. It was a warm Spring evening, and their way was often crowded by people who had finished their day’s work, hurried to do their last shopping, or merely sought for a tavern where they could meet with friends and drink a cup or two. This routine seemed at odds with the momentous events happening a mere hundred miles away from where they were, and Amandil often needed to remind himself that none of these men and women had any way of knowing that the war had already started. Or would start in a few days, at any rate, when the King sailed from Sor with the last of his army.

The slope gradually grew less pronounced, then disappeared as they arrived at the flatter part of the city, cleaved by large and wide avenues where horses, chariots, carts and palanquins hurried in every direction. Amandil watched them pass by him, wondering if his father had intended this hustle and bustle to act as some kind of distraction for his current worries. Númendil, however, did not stop anywhere, but walked on as single-mindedly as if he was heading towards a precise destination.

When at last he stopped, past the avenues and even more winding streets up the slope of the next hill, Amandil could not believe his eyes.

“Is this your destination, Father?” he could not help but exclaim, blinking at the large gates of the Temple of Melkor.

Númendil nodded, and proceeded to cross the threshold. When he saw that his son hesitated, he stopped in his tracks and turned to face him, an apologetic look in his eyes.

“I am sorry. It did not occur to me that you might feel uncomfortable.”

Uncomfortable? Amandil could not believe his ears.

“I thought that you… never mind.” His father was definitely an odd man, he thought, able to feel at ease among Elves and in the temple of their bitterest enemy. But what on Earth was Númendil expecting to find in this place was something that escaped him.

“Did you know that I was forbidden to cross this threshold?” he spoke after a while, as they walked past the public gardens and the running fountains towards the inner gates. “When Elendil was conceived, I left the god’s service to be consecrated to the Goddess of the Forbidden Bay, so from that point onwards I could not speak his name, enter his temple or sacrifice to him.”

“Would they throw you out if they recognized you?” Númendil seemed genuinely curious. Amandil shrugged.

“I doubt they are keeping a lookout for me.”

The air became warmer as they entered the hall of the dark marble floors, whose capricious veins of white and grey he had once memorized in the long hours of his vigils. For a moment, he was overwhelmed by a strong feeling of unreality at the thought. He put his palm over his forehead, and realized that it was smouldering hot to his touch, and humid with sweat. It had not been this hot back then, or had he merely grown used?

A man was preaching at the foot of the altar, surrounded by a throng of the god’s faithful. His voice sounded familiar even in the distance, and as they drew closer Amandil could distinguish the severe features of his Revered Father, High Priest Yehimelkor. Out of an impulse, he stopped in his tracks, but Númendil kept walking in slow steps towards the crowd.

Angry at himself, Amandil forced himself to walk on. He was not afraid of Yehimelkor, of his invectives, or of the wrath of his god. Once, the priest had warned his wayward pupil that a great disaster was in store for him if their paths ever crossed again, but after that they had both sat in the Council for many years, and nothing had happened.

“Listen to him” Númendil whispered in his ear. His eyes widened.

“Have you done this before?” The idea of his father loitering around the Temple of Melkor listening to its High Priest in the fire altar was almost impossible to contemplate. Númendil laid a finger on his lips.

“… and the offspring of evil will grow in the mainland, but it will not remain there, no! Soon, it will rise like a shadow over mountains and plains, over the proudest colonies of Númenor, and cross the Great Sea, which until now had remained untouched by evil! And then it will gather over Númenor, and Armenelos will be buried in darkness.”

The crowd was listening avidly to every one of those words, so much that not a single sound could be heard in the entire hall. In spite of himself, Amandil became interested, too.

“The wars in the mainland are a rebellion against the Lord’s will. This Island was given to us as a haven from evil, and yet we could not be content with what we had, but sought riches which did not belong to us, and became involved in wars which did not concern us. Our power became great, but our ambition grew even greater, so no matter how many lands and peoples we conquered with the strength of our arms, we still judged our acquisitions too mean and unworthy of our greatness.” He made a long, significant pause, his eyes narrowing to convey the gravity of his warning, and Amandil was shocked to see the new wrinkles in his face. Yehimelkor was younger than his father, and he also belonged to the line of Elros, but the last years did not seem to have been easy for him. “Now, at last, the time has come! Our pride has grown into a monster, and this monster will be unleashed on the world! Every night I dream of a demon rising in the mainland, awoken by the wars led by an impious King, who lives in sin. And I tell you, this is the war, and the demon who will be awoken is Sauron! He will destroy us, our colonies, our cities, our holy Island, and the Great God will let this happen, because what else is Sauron but the instrument of His wrath?”

Murmurs awoke around them, and Númendil seized the opportunity to retire. Still somewhat dazed, Amandil followed him outside, where he experienced a pleasant feeling of relief as the night breeze cooled his face.

“What do you think?”

“Why would you listen to this man?” he asked, ignoring his father’s question. “He is a priest of Melkor!”

“It was you who taught me that I had to look for truth in places I would not have previously considered”, Númendil replied, with an air of- was it pride? “This man often says things which are true, and when he speaks of his dream, I know in my heart that he has dreamed it.”

“He has”, Amandil confirmed, in a voice that came through as hollow. “When I was a child, he forbade me to learn swordsmanship, and he did not want me to even harbour thoughts of becoming a soldier in the mainland. He often said that the doom of Númenor would come through one of these wars.” He paused for a moment, thoughtful. “Apparently, he thinks he has found the right one.”

“I see the uneasiness, the fear in his eyes, and I feel as if I was standing before a mirror”, Númendil confessed. Behind them, the fountain reflected the pale orb of the full moon. “Countless times now, I have sat before the King and answered his questions, and what I heard in his voice, what I read in his countenance, disturbed me greatly. But there was nothing I could do, for I could also see that nothing I said to him would ever make him change his mind.”

“I could see that, too.” Amandil remembered his conversation with Amalket, and the bitterness he had been feeling then came back to him, to jolt him into an unpleasant state of awareness that the unreality of their walk and their visit to the temple had dulled for a while. “Still, I was a fool, and I tried. I helped him, and I hoped that he might trust me in exchange.”

“Tell me, Amandil.” They exited the temple under the vaguely curious gazes of the gate guards. “If you had known that he was leaving, and your attempts to have him stay had failed, as in your heart you knew they would, would you have been willing to go to the mainland with him?”

Amandil blinked at this question.

“Yes”, he replied, surprising even himself with his lack of hesitation. “I do not know if I am wiser than he is, but I, too, have dreams. He does not, and that is what makes him so fearless, so… ready to brave the greatest perils of the world as if they were but an ordinary threat. Do you know that the Haradrim force those among their people who have dreams and visions to enter priesthood, and that they often become advisors of what they call their kings? This way, a brave warrior leads the tribe, but his recklessness is tempered by the prophecies of doom of their advisor. Or so the idea goes, anyway. In the end, most of those advisors support their king’s harebrained schemes, at least those who wish to keep their head on their shoulders.” He laughed mirthlessly. “I am known to be remarkably difficult to threaten, which I suppose is the reason why he chose to pull this stunt to leave me behind instead.”

“I see.” Númendil nodded in a slow way, as if he was gradually growing aware of something. “He left you behind. And this angers you.”

Did it? Well, yes, Amandil thought in an exercise of honesty, perhaps it did. Perhaps this was the answer to his brooding thoughts earlier, when he wondered what could have unleashed all this bitterness. He could never have truly believed that his opposition would have hindered the King’s departure for long, but even if Pharazôn had gone ahead and done as he wished, Amandil would never have let him go and face Sauron alone. He would not have let the fate of Númenor hinge solely on the outcome of one person’s actions.

Do you think that this would change anything? A contemptuous voice, which he easily imagined as that of Yehimelkor, but with the hostile eyes of his grandfather Valandil fixed upon his countenance, spoke into his mind. You are almost as bad as he is. Your mind is filled with nothing but strife and conflict, and your hands are red with the blood of Orcs and Men. And you think that you would be able to face Sauron? He has your measure, too.

Disturbed, he fought to quench those thoughts.

“I know that Sauron is an immortal being of extraordinary cunning, and that he can never be trusted. And yet, Father, he fights only for himself. I do not believe him to be an instrument of divine providence, or of heaven’s revenge” he said. “This enterprise poses an enormous risk to Númenor, I agree, and I wish it had never been undertaken. But it has, and believing that Fate has closed its snare around us as a consequence for our sins will avail us nothing at this point. All that the King can do now is defeat him, or else fail and be lost together with his kingdom. And damn it, I should have been there to help.”

Númendil nodded again; too calmly, in Amandil’s opinion.

“I see. But if that is what you believe, then you should go.”

“Go where?” He snorted. “To Sor?”

His father did not blink.

“Yes, to Sor. The King has not departed yet.”

Amandil sighed. He appreciated his father’s insights, but sometimes it became rather trying to argue with him.

“That is ridiculous. You do not know what you are saying. I have not been summoned, and I have no army or fleet at the ready, no…”

“The King has enough of all this in Sor. The only thing that he does not have there is you.”

“And that is exactly as it should be! Father, he did not tell me he was leaving even after he informed the rest of the Council! I think he has made it clear enough that he does not want me to be part of this expedition.”

Númendil shook his head.

“He did not want you to find a way to hinder his departure. Since it would be difficult for you to do that anymore…”

“That is not the point, Father! To him, I am a hindrance, whether in Númenor or in the mainland. I argue with him, bore him with my premonitions, and say things that he does not wish to hear.”

“And since when has this stopped you?”

The truth was that, in spite of his own better judgement, the mad idea was beginning to spread across his mind like wildfire. He could do it, why not? He could grab a sword, a horse, a cloak, something to eat, and gallop a hundred miles through the King’s Road to Sor. He could join the expedition as an unwanted stowaway, right under Ar Pharazôn’s nose, and prove him that as accurate as his assessments usually were, this time he had grievously underestimated his foe.

It was madness. It was folly, not only because of the many breaches of protocol he would be committing, and the dangers he would be getting himself into, but also because he was the lord of Andúnië, and a councilman, and there were responsibilities that he could not discharge on others. He should not even be contemplating it.

“I would take care of everything in your absence, my son. You can lay your trust in me.”

He swallowed, for a moment too overwhelmed by his feelings to even speak. In his mind’s eye, he could see Amalket snorting at him, claiming that she had known all along he would pull something like this. The whole Council, rocked by a wave of furious gossip and perverse amusement as soon as they heard the news.

Pharazôn’s anger when he saw him.

“I appreciate it, Father.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Is everything ready, then?”

“Yes, my lord King. The wind is favourable, and the Admiral wishes to take advantage of it.”

It was morning, and the gleaming sunrays made the proud towers of Sor look as if they were on fire. The colossal statue of the Warrior, erected by Ar Adûnakhôr at the Eastern end of the great harbour, seemed, by a trick of the light, to have been crowned by a wreath of flames, like those which had consumed the flesh of the sacrificed bulls on the eve of their departure.

“A good omen for our expedition, my lord King”, the priest of Melkor remarked brightly.

Ar Pharazôn smiled, remembering how he, too, had used to put his faith in omens once. In his life, he had engaged in many outlandish rites and complicated superstitions, something for which people like Amandil had often derided him. But his mind had been clouded back then, devoid of the glorious clarity it had acquired in the years leading up to this enterprise. This clarity did not leave room for doubt, for hesitation, for second thoughts. It had driven him to accept Zimraphel’s dangerous gifts, which he had once upon a time feared, to take by force what should have belonged to him, and to stare at Death on the face and accept its challenge. Now, at long last, the challenge would be answered, and he had the certainty, embedded in each bone and sinew of his body, that he would be victorious.

King of Men, the creature of darkness had whispered. The King has come, the soldiers had chanted. Conqueror of the world, the Queen had smiled. All those prophecies were about to become true, when the King beyond the Sea finally set foot in Middle-Earth. He would conquer the vast territories which past Númenóreans had always feared to tread,  the realms of Men who paid tribute to the Black Tower, and of those too savage and remote to accept anyone’s dominion, who used their wars as a mere excuse to disappear at the fringes. Once the dark idol had fallen, and with him the only resistance worth that name, those Men would have to put his trust on him alone, on Ar Pharazôn the Golden, the only King of Men who was deserving of that title. And when they were all joined in a single race, and a single kingdom, there would be no one left to withstand its might. The sacred words contained on the scrolls of the Four Great Temples would reveal themselves true, and their kind would dominate the world as they had been originally created to do. The foul Orcs would be hunted down and destroyed, greedy Dwarves would crawl back into their dark tunnels, and the haughty Elves would sail back to their own land beyond the Sea, which the Baalim protected with their sorcery, and renounce their last claims on Middle-Earth.

As the towers and the two great statues finally faded in the horizon, leaving nothing but a line of shining blue in their wake, Pharazôn became animated by a sudden burst of activity. Wiping his eyes, which had become irritated after staring at the reflected light for so long, he left his lookout at the stern of his ship and descended the stairs for the privacy of his cabin. He dismissed all those who attempted to follow him, making sure that he was alone before he opened the coffer on the table, where the most valuable heirloom of the Kings of Númenor glowed magnificently under the lamplight. When he gazed inside it, he felt a fire burn in his chest, and it was not long since this fire urged him to pick it up.

The sword was heavy, and yet not as much as it seemed when it lay in its case, with that large and elaborate pommel of silver steel embedded with rubies. Of all the old wives’ tales Lord Númendil had subjected him to in the last years, the most important information he had been able to glean pertained to this sword, which had been lying in the King’s treasury for thousands of years with no other role than to function as prop in some long-forgotten ceremony. According to the Faithful, this sword was the greatest heirloom of the Sindar, an ancient race of Elves who had built the most powerful kingdom of the First Age. No wraith could possibly withstand the wielder of such a sword, and even Sauron, though he could not die, might cower at the sight of it.

Númendil had also said many other things, such as the reason why this sword had come to be in the Númenórean king’s treasury. According to his tales, it had come to Ar Indilzar through his direct descent from the King of the Sindar himself, Elu Thingol of Doriath. Pharazôn knew that the entire clergy of the Island rejected the idea of their royal line being descended from Elven abominations, and that such a claim was tantamount to heresy, but he was no priest, and those controversies interested him little. If there was some trace of Elven blood in his veins, he could find a way to use it to his own advantage, as perhaps Zimraphel had done. And if there was not, and this sword had come to them through warfare or conquest, he would not feel as a lesser being for it. More than ever in his life, he felt above those petty squabbles that opposed Elf-lovers to Elf-haters, Baalim-followers to the worshippers of the gods, people who sacrificed to people who believed that sacrifices were evil. The late King, and the previous one before that, had poured their life and strength into those matters, while the mainland lay in chaos, and Sauron’s armies were allowed to rampage as they pleased. He had lived through their long rule, and wanted to believe he had learned from their mistakes to recognize what was important. In his own reign, he had favoured the worship of Númenor’s ancient gods because they were the gods of his family and his people, built a temple to the Lord of Battles because he owed Him many debts, and rejected Elvish teachings about cousin marriage being incestuous, because this had become a matter of State after his wedding to Zimraphel. But, in spite of Amandil’s paranoia over this matter -that oath he had made him swear!-, nothing could be farther from his mind than to engage in religious strife and persecution. If the Faithful behaved like subjects to the Sceptre, that was enough for him, and there were enough troubles to deal with in Middle-Earth to go house by house asking all Númenóreans whom they prayed to.

This memory of Amandil made him wince, much in spite of himself. Carefully, he laid the sword in its scabbard, shut the case, and closed the coffer. The almost intoxicating clarity of thought, which he had often enjoyed since he set on this enterprise, always seemed to lessen whenever Amandil was involved. His childhood friend had a way to press all his weak points and detect every small doubt, every small contradiction, focusing and magnifying them until Pharazôn was at the brink of showing signs of weakness. In his heart, Amandil had always remained the haughty older boy he had met in the Temple gardens, who had taught him his first swordsmanship moves and believed that he knew better than this pesky, pampered prince whose head was too swollen to see the ground below his feet. No matter how much they had grown, how far they had travelled and how much they had accomplished, he still acted often as if he knew everything, and Pharazôn knew nothing. Ever since they had started planning this enterprise -or rather, since Pharazôn had started planning this enterprise and forcefully recruited him-, it had been firmly lodged in his head that it was a bad idea, and though he had pretended to go along with it, all he had been looking for was an opening to sabotage his endeavours. Pharazôn had pretended not to notice, both because, at some level, he knew that he needed his help, and also because, as embarrassed as he was to admit it, he wanted to hold to the illusion that his old friend and him were once again joining their efforts for a common cause. The cause, however, was his, not Amandil’s, and whenever they stood facing each other in the Council Chamber, acting like enemies for he still was not sure whose benefit, he was unpleasantly reminded of this fact.

How would he have reacted, when he heard of Pharazôn’s departure? With great anger, probably, if Pharazôn ever knew him well enough to tell. He would never forgive him for playing him in this way, and after the expedition returned to Númenor, the last bridge to their past friendship would collapse into a cold routine of protocol and formality. The most practical, matter-of-fact part of him knew that this would make things much easier on the long run, but another, traitorous part which he had been trying to starve for decades, probably since his mother died, or at least since Merimne did, felt sad.

He shook his head, refusing to surrender to this weakness. It was not the moment to engage in this way of thinking. The next time he saw land before his eyes, he would need to be ready for the greatest challenge of his lifetime, no, the greatest challenge that Númenor had faced since the first ships came into the Bay of Rómenna and their kingdom was founded.

And he would be ready to face it.

“My lord! My lord King!”

Someone was knocking at his door, and he returned to reality with a frown of irritation.

“What is it? I said I did not wish to be disturbed!”

“I am sorry, my lord King, but there is a situation on deck.” The voice was lower now, as if it was endeavouring to be less intrusive, but it also became more difficult to hear. With a sigh, Pharazôn walked towards the door, and opened it for his aide. “A man we cannot identify as part of the crew has been found in our ship. We do not know if he is a spy, or an agent of the Enemy, or…”

“What? How did he get in here, and how was he not discovered earlier? Is he a Númenórean?”

“Yes, my lord, he is.”

Surprised, Pharazôn returned to the deck, where the shouts immediately told him where to go. As he recognized one of the voices, his heart almost stopped beating in his chest.

He paled. It was not possible. That son of a bitch… that outrageous, foolish, overbearing son of a bitch could not have gone this far.

Amandil stopped arguing with the men who were holding him, and his grey eyes met his.  He was wearing old and dirty clothes, and his face was unshaven and filthy, as if he had not checked on his appearance for many days. Immediately, their grip on him tightened, as if they expected him to attempt murder on the King as soon as they relaxed their vigilance.

“This is the man, my lord King. He claims to harbour no evil intent, and demands to speak with you.” The aide laughed nervously as he said this. “The nerve of him!”

“I am neither mute nor deaf, and I can speak for myself”, the lord of Andúnië said in a loud voice. “Release me and I will explain my presence!”

“He also claims that he knows you, my lord King.” one of the soldiers asked. “Shall we throw him overboard?

“He looks suspicious indeed. And violent.” Pharazôn could not resist. “Throw him.”

They did not need to be told twice; at once, they proceeded to drag him to the railing, and threw him against it with a little too much enthusiasm. To his credit, Amandil did not let go of a sound, though it must have hurt.

“Wait”, he intervened, slowly, before they could push him into the water. “I think I recognize him, under all that dirt and rags. Let me look closer at his face.”

As Pharazôn walked towards them, they held him up once more, and now he looked rather angry. This anger, however, was not as it had been instants before, when he quarrelled openly with the soldiers and crewmembers, but quiet, restrained, and focused on him alone.

“By the Lord of Battles!” Pharazôn exclaimed. “This is the lord of Andúnië!”

A great commotion followed his words. Many gasped, others stared incredulously at the stowaway, and those who had been restraining him suddenly let go as if his arms burned them. Amandil had to struggle to recover his balance, before he could further his loss of dignity even more by falling face flat at his feet.

“Yes, I am”, he said, with the same pride as if he had been standing by his rightful seat in the Council of the realm instead of being caught hiding on a ship. “I am glad that my lord King has recognized me.”

“And what on Earth are you doing here? Where are your men?” A mad idea was beginning to form in Pharazôn’s mind, an idea too ludicrous to be true.

“There are no men. I came on my own. Could I please speak to you in private, my lord King?”

Pharazôn breathed deeply.

“Very well. Follow me, then.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As soon as they reached the cabin, and the door was closed behind their backs, Pharazôn turned immediately to give Amandil a glare which could have melted stone and withered fields. The wretched man, however, did not even blink.

“I am still trying to decide whether I should put you on the hold and chain you there for the rest of the journey”, he said. Amandil’s lips curved in a mirthless grin.

“Why go to all this trouble, when you can just throw me into the Sea?”

Pharazôn was not amused.

“What were you trying to achieve with this ridiculous stunt? You are a great lord of Númenor, how can you think so little of your dignity!”

“And you are the King of Númenor, sailing towards the most important war in the history of the Island. In spite of that, you decided to forego all concerns for your dignity to leave the capital in secret, under cover of the night. I am merely following the King’s example.”

“How dare you!” Again, he thought, his composure, his clarity, all of it thrown into turmoil by this infuriating man. “For your information, I have departed Númenor with all due ceremony, and after holding the prescribed solemnities in the harbour of Sor.”

“You left Armenelos without appearing before the Council, because you feared they would raise objections to the King’s departure from the Island, and to his involvement in a war while leaving no heirs in the Palace,” Amandil retorted. “And you conveniently forgot to send me notice, the only member of the Council who was not given the slightest warning, because you did not wish to present me with an opportunity to react. Tell me, did you merely want me out of the way when you departed, or you wanted me away from this campaign? Do you think I am a traitor perhaps, or a spy for the Elves working against you?”

“Neither, you fool! And, if I believed everyone I have left behind to be a traitor, wouldn’t I be the greatest fool in the world for turning my back on an island full of traitors?” He tried to keep his voice even, but it was becoming harder and harder by the moment. “I know what you are trying to do, but you will not distract me by pretending to feel wronged by my actions. I want the truth, and I want it now. Why are you here?”

“To help you defeat Sauron.”

Pharazôn shook his head, incredulously.

“By yourself?”

Amandil nodded, still bent in acting as if his behaviour was nothing out of the ordinary.

“You have enough men already, and enough horses, weapons, and ships. You do not need any more, and if you did, you would have had them long ago. All I can offer that you do not already possess is my company and my advice, which are the reasons why you once came looking for me at my home. I am aware that I have been opposed to this expedition, and that you may have been led to believe that I only helped you half-heartedly, with the intention of hindering you. No, listen to me!” he nearly hissed, when he saw that Pharazôn was opening his mouth. “You may think what you wish of me, but I am not going to sit idly while the future of Númenor is at stake. That is why I am here now, and I am ready to assume the role that you wish me to assume. If you want me to fight, I will fight. If you want my advice, you will have my advice. If you want to know my dreams, I will tell you about my dreams, and if you want me to do nothing at all, you can send me back to the Island.”

“Of course I can. And I will. I…” Pharazôn’s face was flushed, and yet his anger was starting to lose focus and escape his grasp, like a handful of foam in the surf would trickle away from his fingers when he was a child. That fool. That outrageous, reckless, stubborn fool. “For all these years, I believed that you had become a respectable grandfather, the lord of a domain, a wise councilman. But you are still the exact same fool who travelled to Middle-Earth for the first time, believing himself a hero!”

“Is it just me that you are describing?”

And now, he had even forgotten when to keep his mouth shut.

“Say one more word, and I swear by all my gods and yours that I will throw you overboard.”

Amandil did remain silent, but his look was one of satisfaction, and deep inside he seemed infuriatingly aware that he had won this battle. For a moment, Pharazôn thought he might still punch him in the gut, but he remembered the bruises he would have got when they threw him against the railing, and tried his best to persuade himself that they were an adequate substitute.

“Wash yourself and put on some proper clothes”, he spat. “You stink.”

Were they still the same fools? As he left the cabin and banged the door shut behind his back, Pharazôn was forced to ponder this humiliating question. Since they were children, they had both shared dreams of glorious battles, of defeating large armies and terrible mythical creatures. And as soon as they had the chance, they had sailed to the mainland to realize them. He remembered their first adventure in the desert roads of Harad: how their party had been ambushed by a band of Orcs who killed everybody except the two of them; how they had walked into a trap set by what looked like an innocent peasant family, and how they had survived by a combination of sheer luck and desperate resourcefulness. Back then, when the situation was dire, Amandil had spurred his horse against two Haradric warriors who came in pursuit, yelling at Pharazôn to leave and save himself. As he fought and killed the first of them, he had managed to get his reins tangled with the man’s saddle and fall to the ground, and if Pharazôn had even contemplated listening to him, he would be dead.

Now, however, everything was different. Pharazôn had been fighting and leading men in the mainland for longer than the lifespan of a lesser man. He had learned how to calculate the strengths and weakness of his enemies, the loyalty and deceit of his allies, and the adequate balance between the risks he could take and the prudence he must show. He knew how to prepare a campaign, how to gather intelligence, how to exploit his enemy’s openings, how to get men to follow him and die for his cause. He had come this far, and the foolish young man was nothing but a fond, yet slightly embarrassing memory of the past.

That was why talking to Amandil was so upsetting, he thought. He forced him to remember, to look back towards that past. Perhaps this could even be one of the reasons why he had tried to leave him behind and not involve him any further; because he could not afford to be distracted and confused by the remembrances of the Pharazôn he had once been. The more he thought about it, the more the rest seemed like a heap of bad excuses, reasonable but empty.

He was not a swollen-headed, pampered prince anymore. He was not a foolish would-be hero gallivanting across the Haradric countryside. He was Ar Pharazôn, the Golden King, and soon enough, the King of all Men. Amandil could act as an advisor, as the Lord of Andúnië and the only councilman to be present in the field of battle, but that would be the full extent of his interference. Pharazôn would not even waste his time trying to guess whether he had pulled this stunt because he, together with his father and their elusive Elf friends, remained bent on hindering his plans, or because he still saw himself as his oldest friend and believed that full unconditional trust was somehow his due. For those were idle thoughts, and they would not alter the outcome of the expedition.

He would defeat the Demon, he thought, and with him, the private demons that remained in his life would perish as well. And then, he would rise to meet his destiny.

 

The Attack on Mordor I

Read The Attack on Mordor I

She never stood close to a stream of running water. Back when she was the Princess of the West, she had always avoided the Fountain Gardens of the Palace, which used to attract many ladies for their beauty, the cool shade they offered in the scorching heat of summer, and the pleasant sound of trickling drops acting like a protective frame for private conversations. And now that she was the Queen, the fountains had gone silent for ever.

Did she hate water because she thought that she could prevent fate merely by hiding away from it, as a child would hide under her covers to avoid gazing at the darkness that terrified her? Númendil stole a glance at the object of his elucubrations, who sat on an elaborately carved stone bench, gazing at the dry basin as if she had not noticed his presence. A gleam of sunlight trickled over her hair, but it did not succeed in wringing a lighter hue from the black strands. It was as if even the sun could not touch her.

“Lord Númendil, you may approach”, her voice addressed him. He walked a few steps until he was by her side, and bowed low. “Rise and sit by my side.”

Slowly, he obeyed, and took a seat on the opposite end of the bench. She seemed to find this distance satisfactory, for she said nothing else for a while.

“Can you still see them?” she suddenly asked. Númendil looked up, extricating himself from the maze of his thoughts.

“Yes”, he replied. With Ar Zimraphel pretending, be it out of deviousness or out of prudence, was useless. “I do. They have not yet moved under the Shadow, my Queen.”

“You did not think that this expedition was wise. And yet, you encouraged the Lord of Andúnië to join it, even against the King’s wishes. Do you think that he will be able to change the fate that you have foreseen?”

Those were dangerous waters. Númendil had no experience as a courtier in the Palace, and he had never learned how to lie, or dance circles around the truth. Even if the daughter of Tar Palantir had been a woman like all the others, he would have been at difficulty to answer this question.

“You are a man of great foresight, and yet you seem to think that you can pick and choose the answers to my queries”, she laughed. “But I will humour you, Lord Númendil, and allow you to say what you please.”

Númendil swallowed. For a moment, he was at the brink of wondering something about Ar Pharazôn, but he was swift to kill the thought before it emerged.

It did not matter. Nothing did.

“No, my lord, he does not fear this, because he embraced it long ago. That is why he became fearless”, she retorted. “That is why he became Ar Pharazôn.”

He was rarely afraid of anything, and yet he could not suppress a shiver.

“What you possess is a powerful brand of foresight indeed, my Queen. I cannot help but wonder…”

Ar Zimraphel frowned, her demeanour becoming as cold as ice.

“You still have not answered my question.”

Númendil sighed. He had no choice but to reply truthfully.

“My belief about the outcome of this expedition remains unchanged. A great evil will come from it, and this evil will one day doom Númenor. It may not seem so at first, for the King will achieve a great victory, and then it will seem as if the whole world was suddenly within our grasp. But as the High Priest says from his altar of fire, this pride will lead to our downfall.”

“The Faithful quoting the words of the High Priest of the god they most despise.” Ar Zimraphel laughed. “And yet, he also has the visions.”

“And you, my Queen?” Númendil could not resist. “You have the visions, and yet you, too, encouraged the King to set on this campaign. Do you see something that we do not?”

For a moment, he was afraid that Ar Zimraphel would be angry again. But if all, she seemed flattered by the hope that she must have detected in his tone.

“I see many things that you do not. I see many things that even your friends the Elves do not”, she said. Apparently, pride could still make her lower her defences. “If you did, you would be as mad as the late King Ar Sakalthôr, my great-grandfather. He could not bear to face the truth, and so he hid in the shadows forever, as you would if this knowledge had been your curse. I, however, will not do so. For I know it is no curse, lord Númendil; but a gift. Everybody else is taken by their fate, whether they want it or not, but I alone can choose mine.” Once again, her gaze turned away from him and back to the fountain whose flow had been quenched on her orders. “I can live my life exactly as I wish to live it, and no one may hinder me.”

Númendil had been disturbed quite a few times in his life. He remembered all the times when Azzibal of Sor had forced their family to attend the fire sacrifices of his household, back when they had been his prisoners. He also remembered when Amandil had told him the naked truth about his years in Middle-Earth, and when he had informed him of the King’s project to attack Mordor. Above all, he remembered the moment when he had realized he could never disclose the full truth about his fears to anyone, not even to his son. But this – somehow, it disturbed him even more than those memories.

“There is no truth, Lord Númendil, only a constant stream of change. Like with the Sea, you can either follow the current or try to swim against it, but if you do that, at some point your strength will be exhausted and you will inevitably drown.”

“It would still be better for me to drown, my Queen, than for each and every one of us to do so.” He was beginning to see clearly, now, though what he saw chilled him to the marrow. Perhaps she was right about something: hiding in the shadows and refusing to see the truth could seem like deliverance, and some would think it was worth it to forsake one’s sanity, or sacrifice other things which were even more important. “I do not believe my life to be above the lives of other men, whether they be beggars or kings.”

“Oh, but I think that your life is worth more than most, Lord Númendil. And so are the lives of your son and grandson.” Ar Zimraphel smiled, and for a moment there was a strange, terrible warmth in her expression. “Take comfort in that, for your loved ones are dear to us, too. The King shares a remarkable bond with the Lord of Andúnië, which many years of family feuds and the twists and turns of their respective fates could not manage to destroy. You know this, which is why you encouraged him to join the expedition, regardless of what you think of its outcome.”

Númendil shook his head, aghast.

“There are powers able to destroy anything that is good in this world, and it is not wise to underestimate them, my Queen.”

Ar Zimraphel’s agreeable mood dissipated at these words. Her brow creased in a frown, she stood on her feet, and he did the same at once, his head lowered in a bow.

“It is not wise to underestimate me, either. I thought that you knew this by now”, she said, in a cold voice. “You are dismissed, Lord Númendil. We will meet again at the next Council session.”

As he stood gazing at her retreating form, alone in the large expanse of the now silent Fountain Gardens, Númendil could not prevent himself from wondering if what he had seen was just an illusion, if there was a chance that the naked truth had not been revealed to him in those dark, unflinching eyes. Once he left the Palace, and returned to the Andúnië mansion, however, those thoughts left their place to other, even more worrisome ones, as he realized that he did not know which of those two options could have a more terrible outcome.

 

*     *     *     *     *   

 

In the long centuries since it had been built, the harbour of Umbar had never been made to withstand such an onslaught of traffic. Unable to find a place for all the ships which had sailed from the Island to bring soldiers to the Second Wall, the Umbarian authorities had been forced to order every other vessel removed. For as long as this campaign lasted, no fishermen would be allowed to bring their captures directly to the city, and no merchant ships could follow their accustomed trading routes. Small coves under the cliffsides of the rough coast near the Númenórean settlement had turned into impromptu harbours, but the difficulty of their access, and the long distances that the food and merchandise had to cover were a common subject of complaint in every house, street and marketplace of Umbar.

Down at the fields surrounding the Second Wall, things were more chaotic still. Though this town, originally but a misshapen blemish on the skin of the proud merchant city, had outgrown it long ago to become the real seat of power in the region, even the abode of the largest garrison of Númenórean soldiers in the world had been unable to absorb the impact of the latest arrivals. As a result, the newer soldiers, who had arrived from the Island and various Middle-Earth garrisons, had been forced to camp in the fields, harming and sometimes destroying the crops with their temporary settlements. Those flourishing at this time of the year, such as the fruit tree plantations, had been taken by assault and devoured by the newcomers, and the owners had withdrawn to their city houses, taking most of their slaves with them and contributing to the crowding of a city where supplies were already running low. The stream of complaints from the wronged parties had been flowing steadily since their arrival, and the King, who somehow still found the time to exhibit an evil streak of vindictiveness, had delegated on Amandil the duty of listening to them.

“I still fail to see the point in all this, my lord King” he complained for what seemed like the tenth time, his fist clenched over the wooden table of Pharazôn’s military council room. “My hands are tied, and there is nothing I can do to ease this situation.”

The King shrugged.

“Oh, but there is something you can do. You can listen to them, and they can vent their anger on you.” Some of the other occupants of the room smiled. To see Amandil at difficulty seemed to be one of their chief sources of entertainment while they prepared for war, he thought wryly.

“I keep telling them that they will be compensated after this is over, but not even this seems to bring them any satisfaction.”

“They hail from old lineages of merchants, of course it does not bring them any satisfaction. They will keep pressing and pressing, and if needed they will invent new grievances that will allow them to receive a larger amount. But once they realize they can have no more, they will take what is given and count their profits.”

“Well, I am no merchant, my lord King. I do not know how to haggle.”

When he saw some of the eyes around him widen, Amandil realized belatedly the implications that those words could have. He had not uttered them with that purpose in mind, but he did not feel like either explaining himself or apologizing.

“No, that is true”, Pharazôn nodded. “You belong to a noble family which knows little about engaging in useful pursuits.”

Amandil sighed inwardly. Of course, he had to come out on top, as he did in every single one of their petty battles. His behaviour had become so predictable that it did not even bother him any longer.

“And now that we are done with this matter, let us move to a more pressing subject”, the King continued after a brief moment of silence. “As you all know, the war preparations are now complete, which means that we are ready to march on Mordor.”

A murmur of excitement spread across the room, and even Amandil felt his heart leap with an emotion which he found hard to identify. He tried to swallow, but his throat had gone dry.

“What is the plan, my lord King?” The commander of the garrison of Umbar, Balbazer, was the first to ask the question that was in everyone’s lips. As soon as he did so, all eyes became fixed on the King eagerly.

They all thought that the Golden King’s victory was a foregone conclusion, Amandil realized in surprise. Since he first set foot in this city, he had witnessed how his friend had grown from an untried but likeable young man, who demanded to live like his fellow soldiers and share every danger with them, into a beloved general, whom they would gladly follow to their deaths. And yet, he had also known the name of Mordor to hold a superstitious sway on their minds, and back when he fought in the mainland no one would have dared to speak openly of attacking the Dark Lord’s fortress. They believed him to be an evil god, and though his minions were mortal and could bleed at their hands, only a god had enough power to challenge another. They see him as a god, Elendil had written in one of his letters after the events in Pelargir, but until now, he had thought his son’s words to be a mere figure of speech.

“It is a very simple plan”, Pharazôn said. “We take all our ships and we ferry our troops to the bay of Belfalas. Two voyages will suffice. Once there, we take our ships and the barges of the Arnians and sail upriver. If my calculations do not fail me, on the third day we should disembark on the North, and from there we will march on Mordor.”

Balbazer started to smile, as if he thought that the King had just made a joke. When Ar Pharazôn did not laugh, however, it froze in his lips.

“I -I do not think I have quite understood, my lord King. We are going to attack him directly?” Now, that was more like the superstitious fear Amandil had perceived among the soldiers in the past. “Without any subterfuges, without military tactics?”

“Do you think that the Dark Lord of Mordor will fall for our subterfuges, that he will be baffled by our military tactics?” Pharazôn laughed mirthlessly. “You fools! You cannot outwit a demon!”

“Then, how….?”

“Our army is superior to his. That is not merely the greatest advantage we have, but also our only one.” Pharazôn’s glance shifted, and for a moment Amandil was surprised to see it fixed on him. “Tell them, lord Amandil. Tell them who Sauron really is.”

Amadil took a deep breath, feeling how everyone followed the King’s cue and started to look at him.

“According to the old lore, he is a spirit created before the world itself was made”, he spoke. His voice came out hoarse, probably because of the dry spell in his throat. “He was learned in the ways of evildoing when the race of Men did not yet tread the soil of Earth.”

“Exactly. He is all those things, and we cannot expect to deceive him, outwit him, or take him by surprise”, Pharazôn concluded. “And yet, we can defeat him. We will stand at his gates with the largest army to be gathered in thousands of years, and we will let his minions see us. When they become aware of what they are facing, they will know that it is folly to oppose the might of Númenor, and then they will revolt and desert him. Now, the closest pass out of Mordor lies in the border of Arne itself, a deep vale which gives the Arnian soldiers much trouble. They will escape through it.”

Amandil looked up.

“But then we will have to warn the Arnians so they can fortify the pass.”

Pharazôn shook his head. All of a sudden, his expression seemed devoid of any emotion, which struck the lord of Andúnië as ominous even before any words made it past his mouth.

“No. It will stay open, so they can desert freely. We are going to smoke out the vermin, and then, Mordor will be ripe for conquest.”

Slowly, the scope of the plan seemed to be sinking on the war commanders’s minds. A few of them looked at each other, exchanged whispers, and nodded. Others seemed to be pondering the difficulties, perhaps wondering if they could risk voicing their doubts, but none of them seemed to be thinking along with Amandil.

“Arne is an allied kingdom, and it is full of people. We cannot allow the Orcs, and the Men who are loyal to Sauron to enter Arne freely to burn and pillage as they please.”

“I was expecting you to raise this objection, Lord Amandil.” The King made a point of sighing in exasperation. “There is no need to concern yourself unduly. It will be but a temporary measure; once that Mordor lies defenceless, your dear son can set himself to destroy as many evil creatures as he wants.”

“By then, it might be too late!”

“There can be no victory as important as this without casualties, Lord Amandil. You should be content that they will not be Númenórean casualties, if all goes well.”

“Is that what my son should tell the people of Arne?” He tried to keep his voice even, but he was too angry to control it. “That they have to open their gates to the Enemy because they are not Númenóreans?”

“Your son can tell them whatever he wants. If I was in his place, I might do well to remind them that Arne has been living in the shadow of Mordor for centuries, and that they have never been even close to defeating it. Now they may be free of it at last, and receive the gift of peace, but no gain can be obtained without sacrifice.” Amandil saw that many were nodding along, and belatedly wondered why he was even shocked. Pharazôn disliked the nobles and courtiers of Armenelos because, at heart, he was not one of them, but he knew exactly how the soldiers thought. Amandil had also shared this knowledge once, even if he had endeavoured to forget it for the larger part of his life.

“Wise words, which apply to everyone except you, it seems!” Again, he was aware that he should be trying to restrain himself, but it was as if he had been possessed by a fell creature which spoke through his mouth. “You wish to rule the world, and yet you base all your triumphs and your gains on the sacrifice of others. Is this what your god has taught his faithful to do?”

“You go too far, Lord Amandil!” Balbazer stood on his feet, and only a gesture from Ar Pharazôn was able to prevent him from lunging at Amandil. In his face, however, he could see that he, too, was angry.

“Peace, all of you! It is not seemly to fight among ourselves in a war council!” he rebuked them. “Now, listen to me very carefully, for I do not wish to repeat myself. Tomorrow we will reassemble at this same hour to discuss the logistics of the sea journey. Meanwhile, you will go back to your postings, and tell your men to be ready. The departure will take place on the third day of the month, after we have conducted a sacrifice to the Lord of Battles with all due solemnity.”

“Hail the Lord of Battles!” someone chanted. “And hail his chosen one, King Ar Pharazôn!”

His ears still resounding with the echo of their answering chants, Amandil bowed curtly, and stormed out of the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Deep inside, Amandil had to admit that he had been half-expecting Pharazôn to come looking for him at some point. When it became clear that he would not, he sent for a basin of cold water and washed his face with it, slowly forcing the remaining anger away from every inch of his writhing insides. Once he was done, he critically stared at his image on the surface of the mirror, wondering if he could ever become that man who stared back at him in indifference, without betraying any of his weaknesses or emotions.

“I am here to advise you, for I do not believe this to be a good idea” he spoke to his reflection. “The results might be good on the short run, but on the long run we can have a full-scale rebellion in our hands. My son…”

He saw a flash of irony in the face staring at him from his mind’s eye, and the words died in his mouth. Muttering a curse, he wiped his eyes with the back of his hand, and tried again.

” Please, do not do it. I beg it of you.”

The irony became incredulity, and he could almost swear he heard the ring of laughter in his ears. He tried to focus on the image in the mirror, only to realize that it did not look beseeching anymore, if it ever had. It looked fierce.

He could not do it. He wondered why he had even come here. More than ever, it seemed as if it had been nothing but a terrible mistake, to be blamed on his impulsiveness and his pride.

Pride. That was it. He had grown prideful in his later life, as the years of trying to survive by forcing himself to look down and pass unnoticed slowly turned into a distant memory. He had been given a mansion, a lordship, lands, a seat in the Council, and this had made him forget who he truly was: a man who could lose all that he had as easily as those barbarians from Arne, without any of the men who sat in the various councils he had attended even batting an eye over it. He had made himself believe that he could change things, perhaps to quench the residual guilt for disappointing his ancestors when he supported Pharazôn’s claim to the Sceptre. But, in the end, there was only so much he could do, and the thread of friendship that linked them together had already been stretched too thin.

It was pointless. Meaningless. And yet, he thought, he still was not allowed to surrender. He had to try, if only for the sake of his son.

When he announced himself, Pharazôn made him endure the further indignity of standing at his doorstep while he finished settling a number of important affairs with his aides and the General’s envoy. Amandil willed himself to stand still, and not betray his impatience either while he waited or after he was called in.

“I understand and appreciate your efforts on behalf of your son, Amandil, Really, I do”, the King’s voice greeted him even before he had crossed the threshold. “But before you start talking, you may wish to know something about him that I am now certain that you ignore.”

Of all the ways he had expected this conversation to begin, he had to admit that this was the last thing he had imagined. Surprised, he paused in his tracks, even as Pharazôn gestured at him to take a seat.

“Something about my son?” he inquired, stupidly. Wrongfooted again, he thought, biting back a curse. “And what could that be?”

Pharazôn’s hazel eyes gazed at him without blinking.

“That he is a traitor.”

Amandil felt his throat become dry again, as it had in the war council before. A part of him, the proud part, was urging him not to speak, for his voice would come out broken and undignified, but the impulse won.

“What do you mean, a traitor?” he asked. Was this how he intended to break Elendil’s resistance, by pressing false charges on him? Had he already travelled that far down the road to tyranny? “That is not true. He is loyal to the Sceptre. He has always been.”

“Not when I ordered him to surrender the Arnian military to the command of Lord Bodashtart, so I could deploy it in this war”, Pharazôn replied. “He was faced with discontent at this decision, for it was the belief of the Arnians that I intended to bereave them of their only protection, and that I would use them as disposable bait in my war. Which was a wrong assumption, given that I do not intend to play hide and seek with the Dark Lord, but I suppose that my reputation precedes me. In any case, he decided to give in to their demands and remain in charge of the Arnian armies himself, and he had the devious courage to claim that he had done so on my orders.”

For a while, Amandil could do nothing but stare. His mind, however, was racing furiously, trying to remember their last exchanges through the Seeing Stone before he set on this journey. He could not recall any conversation where Elendil had done as much as drop a hint about this. Either his son had tried to shield him by keeping him ignorant of the affair -which was a possibility-, or he had wished to escape his censure -a much rarer possibility-, or else, Pharazôn was lying. And yet, the lord of Andúnië had to admit that this sounded too much like something that Elendil might do, if he truly believed it necessary.

“Do not worry, I let it pass. He is your son, how could I not?”, Pharazôn continued. “But this is not a good situation for him to disobey orders again. I cannot ignore blatant rebellion twice, or the realm will descend into chaos. If he tries to oppose me this time, I will have no choice but to give Arne over to Bodashtart and bring Elendil back to Númenor for trial.”

So, Elendil had fallen right into the trap. Amandil could recognize it as a typical strategy which Pharazôn used in war: to bait the enemy with a false attack, while he kept a larger force hidden and ready to crush them as soon as they dropped their guard.

“I cannot speak for my son, for I knew nothing of this until now”. It was difficult to find the words, bur once that he began, he found that they came more easily than they had when he had been facing that mirror. “And yet, I can tell you that he has always been loyal to the Sceptre. If he did this, he must have felt that the kingdom of Arne was under serious threat of rebellion, and did his best to keep it loyal to Númenor without bringing harm upon your authority as King. Now, I fear that this threat may return, if your strategy brings chaos and destruction to the Arnian territory.”

“You do not seem to understand, and neither does your son.” Pharazôn sighed, as if he was talking to a halfwit. “I could not care less about rebellion. In fact, once I defeat Sauron, Arne will no longer have a reason to exist, as it used to be a buffer zone that prevented the Orcs from getting too close to the Númenórean settlements. If they give me a reason to conquer it right away and give it over to my veterans after the campaign, I will gladly take it. Your son, however, has come to think of the Arnians as his own subjects, and it seems that he even has succeeded in convincing you of it. I can indulge his idealism because he has not known them in the same circumstances as you and I did, but only to an extent.”

Amandil took a deep breath. Unbidden, memories came to his mind of the conversation they had held in the mountain passes of Forostar, over the Northern Lord’s dead body. Back then, Ar Pharazôn had not thought twice of waging war on Númenóreans, and he would think even less of waging it on the Arnians. All that mattered, all that had ever mattered, was his own glory.

On the other hand, Amandil had to admit that the King was not entirely wrong in his assessment of the barbarian kingdom. During his own lifetime, the Arnians had ranged from reluctant allies to enemies to reluctant allies again, and most Númenóreans would not trust them as far as they could throw them. Even Amandil himself had not forgotten the treachery of Prince Noxaris, which almost cost him his life and killed so many of his men. And yet, this grudge had not made him blind to the fact that there would also be many innocents among them, as there had been in Forostar, and that they would probably be the ones to take the brunt of Mordor’s advance. Elendil would have to take sides, and Amandil was suddenly terrified to contemplate which one he would choose.

“Do you trust me?”

“What?” Now, it was the King’s turn to look at him in surprise. “What kind of question is that?”

“Just answer it”, Amandil insisted, his look turning into a stubborn stare. “Do you trust me, or not?”

Pharazôn shrugged flippantly, though Amandil could tell that he was feeling uncomfortable.

“It depends. Trust you to do what? To follow me half across the world to hinder me at every step? Yes. To make a correct assessment of your son’s faults? No.”

He ignored the retort, too focused in what he was going to say next.

“And to leave Umbar tonight and sail to Belfalas ahead of you, to tell my son of your plans personally, so he can have some time to vacate the area West of the Vale and take its inhabitants to fortified places?” he retorted. “It would not interfere with your plans, and still it would minimize the worst of the impact.”

Pharazôn did not evidence his surprise a second time.

“In that case, you asked the wrong question. It should not be whether I trust you, but whether I trust your son with four, perhaps five extra days to plot something to defy me.”

“My son will do as I tell him” he retorted, the long overdue frustration finally emerging as an edge to his tone. “So, do you trust me, or not?”

“Interesting. You expect me to believe that he will do as you tell him, but he did not even do as the King of Númenor told him.” Pharazôn’s laugh was almost a bark. “A strong basis where to lay my trust, indeed!”

“When I was young, my father told me something. They were words that his father had once told him, and that his grandfather had once told his father. “Amandil crossed his arms over his chest. “We must obey the King who holds the Sceptre in Armenelos. And so we always have, and so we always shall, whether we agree with him or not, whether he believes us traitors or not. Against a world which sees us as disloyal and evil, we must endeavour to prove our loyalty no matter the cost. Now, I was not allowed to raise my own son, so perhaps he does not keep these words as close to his heart as the rest of our lineage, but I do, and I will remind him if necessary.”

For a while, it seemed as if he had finally managed to leave Pharazôn speechless. That illusion, however, did not last long.

“I do not hold the Sceptre, the Queen does. And I am not in Armenelos. But if you were intending to exploit this loophole, I suppose that you would have rephrased it. After all, you were raised in the Temple.”

“It is not an oath, so there is no need to concern oneself too much with the precision of terms.  And yet, I can assure you that I have always lived by it.”

“I see.” The King seemed to be pondering something. “And you would require, how many ships?”

“One. The fastest you can spare.”

“I suppose it would not be an insurmountable loss. And neither would you.” His eyes narrowed then, however, and the easy mood was gone. “You will tell your son that if he tries to be clever one more time, he will regret it. And that it is just as well that I cannot kill him, because dead men regret nothing, and he will. Tell him this.”

“He will be glad to hear from you”, Amandil replied, his flippancy as false as Pharazôn’s. “May I leave then, my lord King?”

“Yes”, Ar Pharazôn shrugged. “You may.”

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

It was a very late hour of the night, and yet he was fully awoken when they knocked at the door of his chambers. He had been finding it increasingly difficult to find the path of dreams in the last days, most of all since he received notice of the King’s arrival to Umbar. Though Ar Pharazôn had not sent any messages to him, from the Island or the mainland, and his leadership of the Arnian military had passed unchallenged, Elendil was aware, deep within, that the issue was far from resolved. He also knew that, whatever tactics the King decided to use for his campaign, it was geographically impossible to lead an assault of Mordor without involving Arne in it, whether he meant to use the Arnian troops or not. Every day, he prayed that they would only be required to provide passage for the greatest army to ever tread the soil of Middle-Earth, which would be difficult enough, but not to the extent of draining the morale or their resources of the kingdom of Arne. If Ar Pharazôn meant for the surrounding region to become a battlefield, however, there was no telling how such an ominous scenario might unfold.

“An emissary from the King in Umbar, my lord”, the voice spoke behind the door, first somewhat uncertainly, then gathering its resolve to grow louder. “My lord, an emissary from the King in Umbar is here. He wishes to speak with you at once. My lord…”

“I will be there shortly”, Elendil replied, before it could become a yell. Apparently satisfied, they retreated, and he left the bed to get dressed as fast as possible. Audiences with the King’s messengers, even if they came in the dead of the night, were a protocolary affair, and he could not appear before them in anything less than his best finery.

As he hurried down the hallway, courtiers and attendants trailing his footsteps, the turmoil in his mind was raging harder than ever. There it was, at last, the moment he had been fearing and anticipating for so long. The moment of truth, when he would have to face his fate.

When they entered the old audience room, however, and he had a look at the man who was standing there, his face unshaven and his cloak stained with what looked like mud splashes from the road, all those thoughts immediately died in shock at the sudden recognition.

“Father!” he cried. Amandil looked up from the seat he had been offered, close to the empty fireplace, and acknowledged him with a silent nod. Then, he made a gesture towards Elendil’s companions, who were also staring at him.

Slowly, Elendil regained his bearings.

“Leave us alone”, he told the others. As they filed away from the room, the sound of their footsteps reverberated eerily across the vaults where the Arnian kings had walked for centuries.

“Father”, he began when they were left alone, advancing towards him” Father, what…?”

“… am I doing here?” Amandil finished for him. He stood on his feet, but when Elendil tried to embrace him, he stepped back and shook his head. “I am here as the King’s emissary.”

His formality hid a deep worry, which Elendil could not fail to perceive. In growing uneasiness, he saw that his limbs were in an unusual state of tension, and that his grey eyes, so similar to Elendil’s own, were clouded. This put an end to the brief respite that his father’s presence had brought to his own concerns, and as he quickly pondered the implications of the visit, it even increased them.

“Then I will receive your message”, he said in his best ceremonial manner, bowing low. “What are the orders of Ar Pharazôn, Favourite of Melkor, and Protector of Númenor and its colonies?”

“The King will leave Umbar with his troops on the third day of the month, and ferry them to the Bay of Belfalas. Then, he will use his ships and the barges of the Arnians to sail upriver to the North of Arne, whence he will march to the Morannon to wage war on the Dark Lord Sauron”, Amandil spoke. There was no human inflection, no warmth whatsoever in his tone, and for a moment Elendil was reminded of the seers who took the sacred herb and claimed to speak with their god’s voice.

“I see.” It was better than he had expected. But in that case, it made no sense for his father to be acting like this. “And yet, I can also see that there is something else. Something that worries you.”

“You are perceptive, my son.” For a moment, he saw the first flicker of warmth in his father’s demeanour, but it was gone as soon as it had come. “This will not be pleasant to hear. The King wants to intimidate Sauron’s minions so they will desert their master. He will stand before the gates of the dark realm with his army and allow every Orc and every Man who wishes to do so to flee. So he orders you to leave the passes of the Vale open for this purpose. You are not to man its fortifications, set any vigilance or establish a garrison there.”

Now that he was presented with the full extent of the situation, Elendil could not blame his father for his aloofness. Weakened by shock himself, he could not refrain from breaking the protocol, as he needed to sit on the chair vacated by Amandil to prevent his legs from giving out.

Amandil followed his movements with his glance, but for a while he, too, said nothing. The resulting silence was deafening.

“I cannot do that, Father”, he said at last, unable to measure his words as carefully as he usually did. “I cannot.”

“And yet, you will”, Amandil answered, his tone almost savage now. “You will, because you have already defied the King once, and you cannot do so again.”

“He told you.” It was not a question, but a certainty. “The King told you.”

“Yes, the King told me how he had entrapped you.”

“Are you implying that he did it on purpose?”

“He might have.” Amandil shrugged. “I do not know. The mark of a truly brilliant strategist is that you can never be sure of whether he intended to create his opening since the beginning, or he merely seized an opportunity to turn defeat into victory. Perhaps he did not care for the Arnian army since the beginning, but he knew that you would feel forced to defend their interests and thus lay yourself open to his accusations. Perhaps he did care for it, but changed his strategy when you denied him, and now the new plan is better than the old.” He shook his head, as if suddenly aware that he was talking too much. “In any case, that does not matter now. What matters is the situation before us. You should not have defied the King the first time, and you cannot defy him again.”

“I am aware of that.” Elendil forced himself to stay calm. “And yet, there are more reasons to defy him now than there were before. He is ordering me to lay Arne open to the Enemy’s attack. No, not even the Enemy, but the Enemy’s former servants, who will roam lawlessly, caring for nothing but pillage and plunder! I would die before I…”

“You will not die.”, Amandil interrupted him. “As you know very well, you are protected by an oath.”

“That is…”

“You will not die”, his father repeated, as if he had not even heard him. “However, someone else will. You have a wife, you have children. Anárion is in Númenor now, cut away from you. If you have not understood that he is a hostage, then you still have much to learn.”

Elendil stared at him, speechless.

“His words were: You will tell your son that if he tries to be clever one more time, he will regret it. And that it is just as well that I cannot kill him, because dead men regret nothing, and he will. I trust you can solve the riddle, for your mind is as bright as mine, if not more.”

“It is hard to believe that a King of Númenor would behave in such a way, knowing that he will earn the deepest censure from his subjects.”

“The King is set to conquer Mordor. If he does it, and it is possible that he will, he will have no reason to care anymore about the censure of his subjects. His kingdom will stretch over a much larger territory, and Númenor will be little more than a province. If we do not agree with his policies, there will be others who will. In fact…” Amandil smiled, a bitter smile with no trace of real joy. “He told me, in no uncertain terms, that he would be glad of an excuse to conquer Arne and give it over to his veterans.”

Elendil remained seated, gazing into his hands, while his father began the familiar activity of pacing around the room.

“So, why were you sent here, Father?” he said, after a while of each of them engaging on their respective, listless pursuits. “Did he choose you for his own twisted amusement?”

Amandil stopped in his tracks.

“No, Elendil. I asked him to be sent ahead, so you would have time to prepare Arne for the invasion.”

“And yet, according to you, I cannot prepare Arne for the invasion.”

“Not in that way. But you can still save the people. You can have them leave their houses and their fields, and retreat to a safe place. It will not be for long: once that the campaign is over, you are allowed to intervene.”

“The crops will be destroyed. Many people will die of hunger. And what of the tribes? My authority, or that of Númenor, is still not respected among all of them; and if they refuse to be cooped in our fortifications, they will die as well.”

Amandil frowned.

“I will convince him to send you aid after this is over. And if I cannot, I will send you aid myself. Perhaps with some help from the Elves, who knows?” His smile was forced, and yet for the first time, it was not angry. “Do not despair. There are still things I can do, in Númenor and outside it.”

Elendil took a deep breath.

“At least you still seem to be able to convince him of some things.”

“Less and less at each passing day.” His footsteps stopped next to his son’s chair, and for the first time since his unexpected arrival, Elendil could feel his father’s touch on his shoulder. “I am sorry, Elendil. I do not know if you can ever forgive me.”

“Forgive you, Father? Why? You argued with the King and came all the way here for my sake!”

“And yet, before that, I helped him take the Sceptre.”

Elendil had not seen his father so genuinely remorseful since he had returned home after forty years of absence, and his wife confronted him with the truth he had been hiding from her. He had understood this feeling both times, and yet to be honest, he could not accept it.

“There is one thing that you used to say, which I thought very wise. For mortal men, the situation that is before them at each moment is the only reality they can grasp. Some may have a glimpse of the future in their dreams, but it is uncertain and shielded from the eyes of even the greatest seers” he said, wondering if Amandil was even listening. “Back then, you reacted to the situation before you, the only one that was real at the time. Now, and in the future, the King may do many things under the authority of the Sceptre that you helped him to seize, but they are his responsibility, not yours.”

Amandil sighed, his grip on his shoulder tightening for a while. Then, he shook his head, as if trying to dispel an invisible cloud.

“You remind me more of Father at each passing day”, he said. “I only hope that you are more of a man of action than he is, for this kingdom will have more need of such a person at present.”

“I will do my best”, Elendil willed his voice to sound firm. “But Father, I have not realized until now… you must be terribly tired! I will have accommodations prepared for you so you can sleep.”

“Never mind about that now.” Amandil shook his head, and walked towards one of the large windows of the hall. “Dawn is almost upon us, and we do not have a moment to waste.”

He gazed down again, at his long fingers stretching over his knees under a subdued light that still came only from the lamps lighted in the room. For a long while, the words did not come, no matter how he tried to force them out -until, suddenly, they did.

“Thank you, Father.”

 

The Attack on Mordor II

Read The Attack on Mordor II

“Be welcome to the city of Arne. I hope you had a safe journey. Please wait here for a moment, soon we will be able to show you to your temporary accommodations.”

His words were met with silence at first, though as he set to read all the gazes which were fixed on him he could see many emotions written there. Some were confused and lost, standing in this large city they had never seen before and surrounded by so many people; others were simply listless, carrying bags with the possessions they had been able to carry or holding their young children as if they could slide away from their grasp at any moment. As for those who recognized him as a Númenórean figure of authority, however, fear and hostility seemed to be waging a fierce war in their countenances. He tried to remember Elendil’s words about Pharazôn’s actions not being his fault, but in this context even they felt like a hollow comfort.

“We have no more food”, a man informed him. “What we could carry lasted only for the journey.”

“Do not concern yourselves with that, you will be given food here”, he replied. That had been a battle to remember, he thought, his mind wandering back to the events of the last days. Ironic as it seemed, it had been easier to convince the peasants to leave their homes and fields than it had been to convince the nobles to open their granaries. “Now, if you please…”

“Maybe now we will. But what are we going to do if the crops are destroyed?” another man, a somewhat younger one who stood beside a woman who held a baby in her arms, asked loudly. “We might as well have stayed there and died quickly!”

The woman grabbed him by the arm, whispering something in his ear. She gazed at Amandil out of the corner of her eye, and he could detect that she was afraid. That seemed to be the main division in their ranks, he thought ruefully: those who were more afraid of the threat of Mordor that hung over their heads, and those who were more afraid of the Númenóreans.

“No one is going to die” he said, willing his voice and his countenance to be as reassuring and regal as he could make them. This was an ability of his lineage that he had not been able to cultivate in his youth, but once he was back in Andúnië he had grown fairly adept at it, though it would never come as naturally to him as it did to Pharazôn, who had sucked it in his mother’s milk. Then again, he would never trade the discomfort that gnawed at his insides for Pharazôn’s self-absorbed certainty. “After this is over, and the Dark Lord is defeated, you will be compensated for your generous sacrifice. The governor will see to that.”

At least no one challenged him openly this time. Trying to feel content enough with this, he sought beyond the throng, to the place where his grandson and Ashad’s son were dismounting from their horses. They seemed to be arguing about something, but at some point Isildur lifted his glance and saw him. Amandil gestured at him to approach.

“Is it true that you can defeat Sauron?”

Distracted as he was by his attempts to catch his grandson’s attention, the lord of Andúnië had failed to register the movements taking place in his immediate vicinity. Now, as he was jolted out of his other concerns by a high-pitched voice, he looked down, and noticed a young boy who was staring at him with eyes full of curiosity.

This one is not afraid of the Númenóreans, he thought. It was a welcome change, even though his innocent question awoke thoughts that he had been trying not to have since he embarked in this expedition.

“The King of Númenor is the greatest warrior in the world, and his army is the greatest army in the world”, he told the child. “You will be able to see them by yourself, when they sail upriver. If anyone can defeat Sauron, it is them.”

“Grandfather.” Isildur had approached him while he spoke, and was staring at both of them with a wry grin. When Amandil turned his attention towards him, his features went back to neutral, but not fast enough. Shaking his head, the lord of Andúnië smiled at the child, and laid an arm on Isildur’s shoulder to steer him away from the crowd. Malik followed them as well.

“I am at a loss to understand your ability to find humour in this situation”, he said, as soon as they were out of earshot. “Perhaps you are not tired enough after riding for three days and not sleeping for as many nights. If so, let me congratulate you on your endurance, for it is impressive.”

Isildur did not seem abashed.

“I am used to riding and spending sleepless nights. All the arguing and the promising and the threatening… sometimes it can be quite trying, I must admit.”

Amandil frowned. Sometimes, he could not help but harbour the thought that his grandson resembled Pharazôn a little in his attitude. Now, all of a sudden, this resemblance struck him as more ominous than ever.

“They are being forced to leave their homes, their fields, and all the things they rely upon for their livelihood and that of their children. We cannot expect them to be always reasonable about it, especially when it is us who are bringing this war to them.”

“That would be the King, not us.” Isildur sought Malik’s glance for support. “We were here, defending the frontier and minding our own business, while he sat in Umbar making grand plans which involved the destruction of everything we were risking our lives for. And no, Grandfather, there is nothing amusing about it, except that you would call a man who cannot even fight his own battles without involving innocent bystanders ‘the greatest warrior in the world’.”

Those were treasonous words, and yet, upon hearing them, Amandil’s bad mood improved a little.

“The will of the Sceptre binds all Númenóreans. The King’s policy is our policy, and his war is our war, so it is us who are bringing it to Arne, regardless of our personal feelings in this matter”, he rebuked him, perhaps more half-heartedly than he should. He had not planned on saying anything else, but after a brief pause, he found himself continuing his speech, in a lower, pensive tone. “And you should know that wars always have innocent victims. If you were in Númenor now, and the King came back victorious, would you spare a moment’s thought for the Arnians? If you were a soldier in his army, and you saw that your general’s strategy worked and your enemy was crushed without the ranks of your comrades dwindling around you, would you spare a moment’s thought for the Arnians? That is how it has been for thousands of years, and Ar Pharazôn knows it better than anyone, which is why I consider him the greatest warrior in the world.” He swallowed, wondering where those words were coming from, but unable to stop himself. “And yes, he has proved that he can defeat Sauron in battle, and I believe it is possible that he can do it in the Dark Lord’s territory as well as in our own. What concerns me is what will happen afterwards.”

“Afterwards?” By the looks in both their faces, Isildur and Malik did not seem to have given much thought to this. Amandil was on the brink of sharing his fears with them, but then thought better about it. This was not the place, nor the moment, to speculate about the future.

“You have to protect this kingdom and its people, no matter what happens”, he said instead, a new frown upon his face. “Now, all you have to do is keep them safe, but after the Orcs are destroyed and there is peace, we will have to make sure that help arrives. And that is why you cannot antagonize the King in any manner, within his earshot or outside it, for you never know who may be listening to your words. He has never cared much for Arne or the Arnians, but there are ties joining him to our family, and if these ties are broken there will be nothing to prevent him from leaving this people to their fate. Think about that.”

“So, that is why you pretend to get along with him. To give your people an advantage.”

Amandil was shocked at this crude statement, and yet there was no censure in Isildur’s tone or expression, only a relieved understanding - even, to his further surprise, an edge of admiration. It was so raw, so sincere, that he was shaken, and the angry words explaining why this was not true died on his lips. Because perhaps it should be true, he realized. Perhaps that Amandil would be a better lord of Andúnië, a better councilman of Númenor, and even a better man. For what did one person’s feelings matter, when weighed against the wellbeing of thousands?

“Oh, there you are! I thought you had been delayed!” a new voice shook him out of his present musings. Isildur’s eyes narrowed as they all turned towards Ilmarë, who walked towards them in the company of eight ladies from the Women’s Court. Though they were wearing the traditional veils, the folds were transparent enough for him to detect their discomfort and resentment for being forced to endure this indignity, even as they bowed in unison. “Greetings, Grandfather.”

“You are not supposed to be here. And least of all with these Arnians! You know very well that the courtiers will make a fuss about the impropriety, and…”

“Who cares about impropriety now? The city is swarming with refugees, the King’s army might arrive in a day or two, and the Orcs will soon follow.” Ilmarë argued, picking at her own veil with her thin, graceful fingers. “Besides, I am even wearing the veil!” She turned to Malik for support, and Amandil noticed that he nodded with a little too much enthusiasm at her words.

“See?” she smiled. “At least Malik can be relied upon to know what is important!”

Isildur looked at his friend crossly, muttering something about Malik knowing what was important for him. While he was speaking, however, he seemed to grow aware of Amandil’s ability to hear his words, and a look of alarm veiled his expression. For a moment, the lord of Andúnië could even have sworn that his cheeks had grown red, but then he regained his composure.

“Whatever you say. You are here now, so you might as well stop chattering and do your duty to this people. I hope there is still a corner we can fit them in.”

“Chattering? Look who is talking!” she snorted indignantly. “Of course there is room for them; while you were away we sent many of the earlier arrivals West, to the river port. But, where are the mountain tribes? I was looking forwards to catching a glimpse of them!”

The women closest to her gave her a scandalized look. It was plain that the Arnian ladies of the nobility did not share her curiosity for the appearance of the mountain savages.

Malik shrugged.

“They did not want to come.”

“But do not feel too sorry for them,” Isildur added swiftly. “It may well be that we will find many of them pillaging Arne before this is over. I was going to report this to you, Grandfather.”

Amandil had just been paying a passing attention to their words, too busy preventing his treacherous mind from distracting him with unseemly remembrances of old and withered Ashad, lying like a broken doll in the arms of a woman who still looked young. As soon as he was directly addressed, however, he nodded.

“I see. Well, I suppose this will mean more food for those who are here.” And more vanquished foes for Pharazôn’s great campaign, too. “Now, Isildur, you should go back and report to your father in the palace, and then have some rest, if it is possible.”

“I will, Grandfather. As soon as she is done”, he sighed, pointing with his chin towards where Ilmarë was addressing the refugees with what looked like her best impression of a military harangue, surrounded by her reluctant ladies. Amandil nodded.

“I will go first, then. But you have to rest, Isildur. That is an order. And you too, Malik.”

“Right, my lord”, the half-Haradrim nodded dryly, though with a slight, impish gleam in his dark eyes which belied his solemnity. “You can trust me to tie him to his bed if necessary.”

Doing an effort to smile back, and trying again to forget how much the young man looked like Ashad, Amandil took his leave from them, and headed back towards the palace.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The next day, a little before midday, the first ship was sighted by the lookouts. As everybody sought to man their posts and organize themselves at all speed amid the turmoil, it sailed past the Arnian harbour and headed North, followed by more and more ships and barges, until even the most persistent observers had lost count of the vessels passing before their eyes.

Amandil and Elendil had already made the preparations to ride towards the fortified port town as soon as they received the news, and the most important courtiers and Númenórean officials had been mobilized since the previous afternoon. As they took the winding path downhill towards the harbour, the lord of Andúnië was struck at his son’s terrible appearance. Elendil’s last four days had been more exhausting than those of anyone else in the entire kingdom, and if Amandil could, he would have told him to stay in the Palace now instead of riding off in full ceremony to meet the source of his problems, all while beside himself with worry over the possibility that some Arnian noble would be unable to restrain his fury in the King’s presence. In spite of his attempts to dress and look like a proud governor of Arne, his face was gaunt, and there were dark circles under his eyes from rising at dawn to coordinate the evacuation procedures with Amandil, and retiring long after midnight from closed rooms where he debated with the leaders of the Arnian military until his throat was raw and dry.

The lord of Andúnië had not been present in any of those meetings, as he was the King’s emissary, and his presence would have been perceived as a way to exert pressure and coercion over those talks, destroying what little Arnian goodwill still remained in the process. From what he knew, however, the arguments had been savage, sometimes little different from fights. In the end, Elendil had to swear that he would ride personally to defeat the Orcs as soon as Sauron surrendered, and that he would guarantee they received aid from the King afterwards. If Pharazôn refused to honour this oath, Amandil would have to find a way to do it himself, hopefully without attracting the wrath of the Sceptre.

Still, even if no lives were to be lost by the end of this, either from war or famine, the hit taken by Arnian pride would be hard to heal. If the Númenórean army was not so huge, or if Sauron had not been at his weakest, they would have been tempted to block the river and perhaps reach yet another agreement with the Dark Lord. With another governor of Bodashtart’s ilk, perhaps they would have attempted it anyway, and played into Pharazôn’s hands, but Amandil had to admit that Elendil’s reputation with the Arnians, in spite of all the difficulties, had surprised him and filled him with pride. As it turned out, to assume command of the Arnian army instead of Lord Bodashtart had not been such an empty gesture of defiance as it had seemed at first sight. Angry and rebellious as they were feeling towards Númenor and its Sceptre, they still respected Elendil, and did not doubt his oaths for a moment.

The strongest challenge, as always, had come from Maharis, a man both Pharazôn and Elendil had mentioned often enough in the past as for Amandil to feel as if he knew him personally. Today, he was not riding with them, for Elendil had left him in charge of guarding the Palace, a way to ensure that he would not be present in the meeting with the King without giving him the chance to take offense. Elendil was good at not offending people in general, except when he decided to disobey royal orders.

“Are you sure that he is going to stop, Father? Judging by the time lapse, he does not seem to have stopped even in Pelargir”, the subject of his musings asked, as they entered the town followed by a hundred Arnian nobles in their finery, and their colourful trail of attendants. They had been able to see the river from several stretches of the road, and every time, their eyes had fallen upon an interminable procession of ships and barges. None of those ships were the King’s, but Amandil knew that it would be in the rear, for Balbazer was in command of the vanguard.

“Yes, he will. He will wish to make sure that Arne is following his orders to the letter.”

“Well, perhaps he will get more than reassurance if he stays for too long”, Elendil replied, his frown deepening again. Amandil knew what he was thinking: beside the courtiers, the harbour town was packed with refugees from the Eastern countryside, and not even the full might of the Númenórean army might be able to intimidate them enough to prevent an anonymous act of defiance, which could in turn spark a riot.

“Do not worry, I do not think he will. He has bigger concerns at this moment than to provoke the Arnians”, Amandil replied, to reassure his son as much as to reassure himself.

As they reached the harbour and took positions, the ships continued sailing slowly before their eyes. Watching them glide past, one after another, with their white, red and yellow sails billowing in the wind, and the gleaming sunlight reflected off the steel armour, helmets and shields of the rows of soldiers standing on deck, the lord of Andúnië had a strange feeling of unreality. He had thoughts which suddenly seemed like waking dreams, where he saw the assembled might of Númenor sail towards a dark abyss which rose to swallow it whole.

Angry with himself, he blinked those visions away, trying to focus in his immediate surroundings. Many curious Arnians had left their houses and appointed refuges by now, and were trickling in towards the harbour in groups, quickly filling up all the remaining space. For now, Amandil and Elendil’s fears seemed to have proved unfounded, for they appeared to be too mesmerized by the interminable procession of ships as to show hostility.

“Sometimes”, Elendil broke the silence after what could have been an eternity, his voice hoarser than it had been when he left the Council room, “I forget about the power of Númenor.”

And by the looks of it, you are not the only one, Amandil thought wistfully, looking at the expressions of the noblemen who surrounded them.

“Perhaps we all needed the reminder”, he replied.

He did not know for how long they had been standing there when, at last, the King’s galley slowed down before their eyes. It was a larger ship than the others, so much that they were keeping a respectful distance from it to avoid a collision. Its sails were made of brilliant purple fabric, and the star of Númenor was embroidered in gold thread upon them. As the docking manoeuvres were slowly achieved, a gangplank was stretched out, and everyone around them stiffened visibly. A deep silence fell upon the crowd, and Amandil threw a quick glance in the direction of his son, only to see his hands clench over the reins of his horse until the knuckles became white.

A succession of Númenórean officers wearing rich, elaborate sets of armour, disembarked first, walking haughtily down the plank until they set foot on the stone harbour. Among them, Amandil could distinguish most of those who had composed the war council in Umbar. They all bowed curtly at both of them, and then formed ranks to receive the King. As each of them found their position, a trumpet rang in the clear sky, and Ar Pharazôn the Golden appeared over the railing.

Both Amandil and Elendil dismounted, and stepped forwards to receive him. The lord of Andúnië took a sharp breath when he saw the King’s figure walk towards them, at a brisk pace which somehow did not appear undignified, perhaps by the sheer force of the man’s confidence. He was clad in a silver steel armour with gold engravings, partially covered in a purple cloak which flapped in the breeze. A golden helmet, fashioned like a crown, seemed to match the metallic varnish of his skin under the rays of the midday sun, and Amandil became suddenly aware of how easy it was to see him with a stranger’s eyes, the eyes of the people who were gathered in this harbour and who had never seen the King of Númenor before, much less fought him, drank with him, quarrelled or laughed with him. Just like them, he could see him as this image of terrifying majesty, and feel his heart freeze in dread at the very thought of attracting his displeasure. His mind swarmed with images, which he believed long forgotten, of a small child who trembled under the cold gaze of a frightening King.

He forced them away, appalled. What was he doing? Ar Gimilzôr was long dead – dead and buried under the roots of the Meneltarma.

Pharazôn stopped next to them, and his eyes were not black, but as hazel as they had always been. When he set them on Amandil, the lord of Andúnië remembered himself.

“Hail Ar Pharazôn, Favourite of Melkor, Protector of Númenor, its colonies, and the kingdom of Arne!” he saluted, falling to his knees. Next to him, Elendil also went through the same motions.

“Rise, Lord Amandil, Lord Elendil”, Pharazôn said, with a smile. “I see you have been working hard in the last days.” His glance moved past them, briefly trailing over the assembled courtiers and military officers of Arne and then beyond, at the displaced peasants who stood beside the townsfolk. “Words are not enough to thank you for the great efforts you have made to safeguard the people of Arne. I am sure it has been very difficult to accept what was requested of you in this campaign, but I am certain that the outcome will compensate all those hardships. “His voice rose powerfully, and Amandil was sure that it must carry to the farthest edge of this open space. “For the Dark Lord Sauron, the ancestral enemy of Númenor and Arne, is about to be defeated at last. No longer will those mountains loom threateningly over your heads, dark with the promise of death and destruction! I pledge upon this sword, the greatest heirloom of Númenor since the Age of the Gods, that he will never harm you or your children ever again.”

Some segments of the crowd broke into scattered applause, enthusiastically followed by the most sycophantic of the Arnian courtiers, until almost everybody but the military officers followed suit. Bedazzled, Amandil realized that the sword in Pharazôn’s hand must be the fabled Aranrúth, a blade whose name he had heard in the old stories, but which he had never set eyes upon. The craftmanship was definitely Elvish, beyond the skill of any mortal man, Númenórean or otherwise.

He sought Elendil’s glance, but his son’s expression was so carefully neutral that Amandil knew his anger had to be quite strong at this moment. He could not blame him.

“See?” Pharazôn drew closer and pulled him into an embrace. As he did so, his voice was lowered until it almost became a whisper. “It was not that hard.”

Suddenly, Amandil could not believe he had been intimidated by this man, even for an instant of confusion. If it was not for the crowd, he could have punched him then and there.

“If Elendil had not sworn on his honour that Númenor will send relief in compensation for their destroyed crops, you might have found a very different welcome”, he hissed, while he threw an arm over the King’s shoulder and pretended to be speaking to him as an old friend. “And if Isildur and others had not ridden across the entire Eastern countryside evacuating villages, your own promises would be meaningless.”

The hazel eyes met his with a perfectly unfeigned look of serenity.

“And I appreciate all those efforts, my friend. You have laid an important groundwork for my victory, and for that I am thankful. Why! In the end, it was fortunate that you came, after all!” He turned towards Elendil, his lips curving into a grin. “And it was also fortunate that I changed my mind and let you remain at the head of the Arnian army. Who knows if Bodashtart would have been the equal to this task? He is loyal, but he never quite managed the subtle art of earning the respect of the people.”

Elendil bowed again, still with that carefully neutral expression.

“I am honoured to hear these words of praise from you, my lord King.”

“You have come such a long way! To think that, only a few years ago, you were asking me to appoint a more experienced man in your place to lead the vanguard of the army!” Pharazôn chuckled. Then, his expression sobered. “But I believe we have tarried enough in this excellent country, my lords. We must proceed North now, where our foe awaits us, and perhaps also our destiny. Lord Amandil, would you do me the pleasure of accompanying me to my ship? Believe it or not, you would have the King’s express invitation this time.”

Amandil gazed surreptitiously at Elendil. Though he had sailed to Middle-Earth to accompany the King in his campaign, now that he was faced with the decision of leaving his son alone in this difficult situation, it almost felt like irresponsibility to persevere in this plan. For a moment, he must have showed signs of hesitation, because Elendil himself stepped up.

“I wish you fair fortune and the help of the Valar in this greatest of enterprises, Father” he said, in a solemn voice. “Do not concern yourself with thoughts of us; for we, too, will do our duty and repay the King for his trust.”

Pharazôn answered the bow with a nod of his own, and grabbed the lord of Andúnië by the arm. The trumpets played again, and Elendil fell on his knees, followed by the entire party behind them.

As he stood on the prow of the great ship, the last thing that Amandil was able to see before the docks disappeared in the distance was his son’s silhouette, almost incongruously tall against his background, and looking strangely alone among the Arnian crowd.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The rest of the journey went by slowly. Ahead of them, the fleet’s momentum was dragging to a halt as they presumably manoeuvred to find space to dock and disembark in such great numbers. Pharazôn, who disliked inactivity, had soon disappeared downstairs to discuss something over one of his maps, but Amandil remained on the eerily silent deck, leaning on the railing while he watched the shadows lengthen over the mountain range that divided the North of Arne from Sauron’s land.

He had been this far upriver only once before, though not on a ship, but riding through the path of the forest which lay somewhere West of their current location. There, he and his men had been betrayed by the Prince Noxaris, and ambushed by an army of Orcs who managed to kill most of their party. The desperate bid for escape after surviving this massacre, lost in a hostile land, had been the last time that Amandil had felt close enough to death as to be able to brush it with his fingers. At some point, it had seemed to him as if his body and mind had merely been animated by the awareness of his duty to bear testimony of the treachery of their allies and the Merchant Princes of Gadir, no matter how painful it was to go on, leaving a trail of corpses of those he could not save in his wake. And if they had not been able to capture the barges of those villagers, his own bones might still be lying upon this countryside.

Today, they had crossed at least four villages upon the riverbank, each with a small harbour full of barges, where the Arnians stood to watch them pass with a wide-eyed look of the purest awe. Amandil, however, had not been able to recognize the one he had attacked back then, and he imagined that his memories had somehow become clouded by the frenzy and desperation of that moment. Devoid of this immediacy, the thin line between life and death blurred away by time, the peaceful villages he saw now could never have resembled that one, where villagers screamed and soldiers toppled piles of crates in search for food and dragged their wounded comrades on deck. In fact, the more he tried to think of it while he stood on the prow of the royal ship of the mighty Númenórean warfleet, surrounded by ships full of soldiers as far as his eyes could see, the more he was seized by an arrogant feeling of invulnerability which banished those memories of past helplessness from his mind, until he found himself wondering if they had even happened. No matter how hard he tried to recapture them by seeking the scenario of his defeat and flight, by staring at the sombre peaks which had once frightened him as he came under the shadow of Mordor, it was no longer there.

Perhaps this is what happened to Pharazôn, he thought. In appearance, the Pharazôn of their youth had been generous in risking his life to the point of temerity, and there was no indication that he had abandoned this trait in later years. In the Arnian war, when he already was Tar Palantir’s legate, reports told that he had stood alone against the wraith, and when he was sent to break the siege of Pelargir he had taken upon himself the task of going behind the enemy lines, while Elendil was left to act as a distraction. But Amandil did not believe that his friend had truly believed, at any of those times, that he could die. The first time they met, in the gardens of the Temple of Melkor in Armenelos, he had boasted to Amandil that his mother had foreseen his defeat of Sauron. Then, as it appeared, the Princess of the South’s gift had left its place to that of Tar Palantir’s daughter, whose greater powers had cocooned him into a much stronger feeling of predestination than before. The prophecies were coming true: he had survived near-death situations miraculously, defeated the Nazgûl, reconquered Arne, and now, he had even seized the Sceptre his mother had promised to him while she rocked him asleep in his cradle. With this formidable shield of foresight, how could he not feel like Amandil did now, protected by the full might of the Númenórean fleet from the hostility and dangers of his environment? No, he corrected himself, that was not even an adequate comparison, for what was a mere accumulation of armed soldiers before the protection of Heaven itself, of the power of its gods bent upon blessing every step of the mortal they had chosen?

Once, in those dark years between the accession of his uncle and his first Arnian victory, Pharazôn had experienced raw doubt, the agonizing confusion of watching his glorious destiny trickle away from his grasp like water. Amandil had been aware of this, and his heart had gone out to his friend. Now that he remembered it, he realized that it was the only time that they had been true equals, the only time that Pharazôn had faced life with the same courage as the rest of them, battling uncertainty at every step. If only he could remember this, if he could go back to where his mind had been back then, he might understand Amandil’s position, Elendil’s struggles with the Arnian people, and Númendil’s concerns. But he could not, and trying to do it might prove even harder for him than it was for Amandil to recall that fated expedition of over sixty years ago.

This train of thought, instead of further resentment, somehow managed to calm the quiet anger he had been feeling for the last days. It was a strange brand of comfort, to weather the fury of the storm while knowing that the clouded sky, the heavy rain, the turbulent Sea and the raging gale did not have the ability to be anything else than what they were. Probably hollow, to an extent, and perhaps even delusional, for what was the difference between believing that Pharazôn could be nothing else than what he was, and believing the same of Sauron, or Morgoth himself? For they, more than any of them, had a separate fate from the Children of Ilúvatar since their creation, and no obligation to understand or share in their pitiful struggles. And yet, the harm they had wrought on the world was no less devastating for it, and their share of the blame a merely academic question, left to people like Númendil or Palantir to ponder. Amandil had never cared much for such elucubrations, but there he was now, employing a similar reasoning to absolve Pharazôn from his sins, and himself in the process for his inability to put a stop to them.

Human weakness, he thought, with a wry grimace. For Sauron or Morgoth had never been his friends, and he had never needed to justify himself for standing by them in their endeavours. He had never felt guilty for this complicity, even in the face of his own family’s well-earned anger, or pitifully sought for excuses to forgive them. And even with the knowledge of how foolish he was being, he was still here, sailing towards the gates of the abyss in Ar Pharazôn’s company, not to hinder him or curry favour with the Sceptre, but because he would not be left behind.

“Still busy having doubts for the both of us?” a teasing voice interrupted this self-deprecating train of thought. He stiffened, wondering how Pharazôn would react if he were to reveal the nature of his musings to him. “Do not be concerned about your son. I am confident in his abilities, and I know that he will manage.”

“The Orcs and the Arnians, I am sure.” You, I am not so sure. The unfinished sentence was louder in the momentary silence than it would have been if he had spoken the words aloud.

“I am not your son’s enemy. I wish him well, and I always have. But he needs to learn when it is time to discard his own judgement and follow orders. He is in Arne as a governor sent from Númenor, not as their king, and the interests of Arne cannot prevail in his mind over those of the Island.”

“That is why governors are so hated by their people”, Amandil could not prevent himself from replying. Pharazôn merely shrugged.

“So, what if they are? There are those who hate me, too, even in Númenor itself. You will not see me lose a single night’s sleep over this, or I would die from sheer exhaustion.”

“That is what Sauron’s name means, in Elvish. Did you know? The Hated One.”

This did give the King some pause. He stared at Amandil, coldly.

“You are right. What does it matter to the Arnians if I am their King or if Sauron is? Which is interesting, as I was under the impression that your son had sworn upon his honour that I would send them relief from the Island after this is over. If he does not expect me to do it, who will? Perhaps the Elves? But that would be treason, would it not?”

“I will.” Amandil retorted. “Andúnië is rich, and after this war is over, I am sure that there will no longer be need for such heavy taxes.”

Pharazôn sighed in irritation, a sound that reminded Amandil of more carefree times in the past, when their arguments were about inconsequential things, and their disagreements ended around a jar of wine.

“You stubborn fool! If I was Sauron, would you even notice the difference? What I was trying to say is that I will honour his agreement, but if you feel happier reducing your own family to poverty, by any means, do not let me stop you.”

Amandil fell silent, abandoning the retort already building in his mind about the need to excuse him for not recognizing favours under such haughty wordings. At the end of the day, Ar Pharazôn was still the King of Númenor, and the lord of Andúnië had gone already as far as he could go.

“I apologize, my lord King”, he said, formally. “Please allow me to thank you on my son’s behalf.”

Pharazôn shook his head.

“Keep your gratitude. I prefer not to lose hope that one day, he may even learn to ask for things through the proper channels.”

That is what Tar Palantir could never stand about you, Amandil thought, though these words, too, remained unspoken. A large territory could not be ruled from the Palace of Armenelos, and as much as the Kings of Númenor might resent this fact, men in charge of difficult situations were forced to make their own decisions all the time. All the same, Pharazôn had gone as far as to threaten Anárion to force Elendil to comply, and even if he chose to act as if this had never happened, he knew perfectly well that the governor of Arne would remember, and think twice before doing anything of the sort again. That was why he could afford to be so magnanimous and understanding now.

At that moment, someone shouted at the other side of the ship, and Amandil instinctively craned his neck to look in that direction. Ahead of them, the river widened abruptly, and in its middle an island, which was roughly the shape of a very large ship, was overrun by line after line of smaller vessels, filling all the available space between the long stretch of its coast and the river’s Eastern bank. There, under Bazerbal’s directions, a provisional encampment was already being built, the radiant white of its tents appearing to stand in open challenge of the darkness ahead.

“There it is.” A gleam of excitement had appeared in Pharazôn’s eyes, as he, too, gazed in their direction. “The most powerful army in the world, now finally ready to show its true worth. Do you still think that we can lose this war, Amandil?”

“I did not say that”, he protested. “I, and my father, have merely advised you not to underestimate Sauron, for this is not the only time that someone has faced him with a greater army.”

“Oh, yes. Your father’s stories about how he deceived the Baalim and the Elves.” Pharazôn laughed. “Do not concern yourself over it, my friend. I may be but a mortal, but I also have the ability to learn from my predecessors.”

Amandil frowned.

“May I ask you a question, then?” It was not often that Pharazôn allowed the conversation to veer so closely to the centre of what had been Amandil’s deepest worries since his father, first, and then Yehimelkor, had put the idea inside his mind. “You are very certain that Sauron is not trying to lure us into a false sense of security to slaughter us, that he really is weak. So, let us imagine that everything goes according to your plan and he surrenders to you, swearing that he will not rise in arms against Númenor or its allies again. How can you be sure that you will be able to withstand his powers of persuasion, the powers of an immortal, if he should direct them against you? How can you know that you will remain yourself once that he has you under his spell? And, even if you should stand firmly against his attempts at deceit, what then? He is not King Xaron of Arne, and you cannot behead him. There is no exile, no prison, which can hold him for long. Will you pretend that a temporary win is the same as a definitive victory, and if so, what will be the price for our descendants, lured into a false sense of security? I am not the only one who has a dream where our Island is destroyed. What if challenging Sauron directly is a catalyst for this catastrophe?”

Now, he was sure that he had gone too far, but he did not care. He had been allowed to join the expedition as an advisor, and though his advice may be as unwelcome as that of a Haradric seer babbling about his prophecies of doom, he would give it. And, more than anything else, he wanted an answer for himself.

Pharazôn gave him a long, solemn glance. In it, Amandil could detect no trace of doubt, dismay, or any other sort of reaction a man might show when confronted with something he had not previously considered. About to open his mouth again, he paused when, suddenly, his friend grabbed his shoulder in a tight grip.

“Do not worry, Amandil. All you have to do is trust me. I hope this does not prove too hard for you.”

And with this, the King of Númenor turned away from him and departed, before the lord of Andúnië could manage to utter another word.

The Attack on Mordor III

Read The Attack on Mordor III

The roar became deafening around him, as the towering mass of water loomed over his head. He stood still, unable to move in any direction while he watched it close over the sky, swallowing the light of the stars. Thoughts and impulses clashed against one another in the turmoil of his mind, some calling for instinctive flight, others telling him to lay down in despair and accept death, and finally others, clearer yet somehow incongruous with the situation unfolding before his eyes, expressing astonishment at the strangeness of this entire situation. In all the years that this scene had been playing in his head, it had never been like this. His feet had never stood upon solid ground while the waters hung over him, threatening to drown the world around him. And then, still with this same clarity, he knew: he was not meant to be there.

It was wrong. It was all wrong.

His terror somehow taken to a higher pitch by these thoughts, Amandil sunk to his knees. Around him, he could hear the disembodied echo of screams, but there was no soul in sight, no one they could be traced back to. As he sought the turbid horizon for signs of life, he could see the shadow of a large building rise before him, with towers and a dome which reminded him of the Temple of Melkor in Armenelos.

Amandil, a voice called him. It was gloating, full of a sinister triumph. A part of him wondered who it was, though another part recognized him and felt a heavy sense of dread.

Amandil, the voice repeated.

Though he knew that he should not be going in that direction, he ignored his misgivings, and struggled to his feet to run towards the temple. There, perched upon the great dome, he saw a silhouette of what looked like a man, his long hair dishevelled by the raging gale. He did not seem frightened by the devastation spreading in every direction around them.

Amandil opened his mouth to call him, to demand an explanation, but his voice died in his lips when he saw those eyes. They gleamed with a fell, inhuman light, piercing his innards like the blade of a sword, burning him like a bolt of lightning. Transfixed by this glance, he could do nothing but stand there, oblivious to the Wave, oblivious to the screams of the dying; oblivious to his own, imminent death.

Do not blame yourself for it. The voice laughed, as if its owner had been able to hear his thoughts. There is nothing you can do.

Finally able to recover his voice, Amandil awoke in a tent, screaming.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

A pale trickle of sunlight filtered through the overcast sky as Amandil set foot outside his tent. The Eastern side of the Númenórean camp was set on a steep hill, an advantageous location for the view it commanded of the dusty plain that lay before the gates of Mordor. If he scrutinised the horizon hard enough, he could even catch a glimpse of the great fortifications built by the Dark Lord at the entrance to his kingdom. For the last days, the so-called Black Gate had been opening and closing quite often, to let emissaries through towards their encampment.

At the moment, the gate lay open again, but Amandil barely noticed it, still distraught by the terrible revelations of his dream. He had done his best to rationalize the greater vividness of the images he saw by attributing them to the nightmarish landscape surrounding them, which would bring a feeling of gloom to the strongest of hearts. In this land, the sky was always dark, and the sun found itself reduced to a distant presence, cold and dull. The soil, whether in the mountain slopes or the plains, was dry and barren, covered in a dust which seemed to live in the air they breathed and seep through their lungs, carried by the frequent gusts of East wind blowing towards their position. Even as he walked at a fast pace past different groups of men, he could hear abundant fits of coughing around him.

And yet, deep in his heart, Amandil knew that this was not all there was to it. There had been other changes in the dreams he had been having since he was a child, which had often been inspired by the circumstances surrounding him, and they had also become more vivid or blurred in different stages of his life. But such a drastic change, involving both what he saw and where he was in the dream, and that figure who stood above it all, triumphant, mocking him for his inability to change the sequence of events… it would take more than the gloom of a landscape, or the unconscious expression of his daily fears, to bring it about. It had to be a warning. And though he could easily put two and two together as to the identity of the figure, this deduction only served to fill him with even more dread.

“The King is meeting with the Dark Lord’s envoys”, General Bazerbal intercepted him, as he saw him approaching the royal tent. “I am sorry, my lord, but you will have to wait.”

“I see”, Amandil nodded, neutrally. He could indeed hear raised voices from inside, and catch some tatters of the conversation that was taking place, an argument about the need to destroy the Dark Lord’s main fortresses. The main envoy, a man whose heavy accent Amandil was not able to place, was the one doing the shouting; Pharazôn’s tone, on the other hand, was coldly polite. At some point, he would tire of the conversation and kill them all, except for one, perhaps two, who would bring the heads back to Sauron. The pattern had been repeated enough times now for Amandil to know exactly what would happen, and the denizens of Mordor, even the slower-witted Orcs, were probably starting to see it as well.

Meanwhile, on the Southern front, a messenger from Elendil had arrived just the previous day, claiming that large enemy hordes were starting to cross the pass at the Vale and scatter across the fields of Arne. As the King had predicted, Sauron was becoming more and more isolated in his fortress at each passing day, unable to muster enough forces to lift the siege and put an end to his enemy’s insolence.

This image of a trapped Sauron, however, was not enough to make him forget about that other image he had seen in his dreams, of the Dark Lord standing amid the ruin and devastation of the Island. His triumphant laughter seemed to have been seared in his consciousness with white-hot fire, and he could not even remember it without a shudder which had nothing to do with the cold.

The need to share those fears, those apprehensions, with someone who could help him put a stop to this was slowly becoming as overwhelming as it was impossible to fulfil. Amandil looked at the man before him, at the frown in his face and the suspicious eyes with which he surveyed his countenance. Of the many soldiers he had met who were loyal to Pharazôn, this man was probably the most loyal of all, at least since the then-Prince had defended him before the Council from the accusation of causing the destruction of Gadir. It would never do to express any criticism, even an implicit one, of any of the King’s plans in front of him.

“Is it… urgent business?” Bazerbal inquired, pretending to be helpful but, in fact, trying to lure Amandil into confessing to some nefarious purpose. After brief consideration, he decided to oblige him.

“I had a dream”, he revealed, indifferent to the man’s look of hostility and disbelief. “It appears to be of great import to the situation at hand, so I wanted to tell the King about it.”

“Well, he is busy now”, Bazerbal repeated, making a warding gesture with his hand as Amandil turned away. Soldiers were great believers in the grislier aspects of the supernatural, and prophetic dreams was one of such superstitions. If one of their priests or generals had them, if Pharazôn himself had them, they would march to the end of the world to fulfil what they believed to be the will of their gods, but Amandil’s soul had been given to the terrible demons who lived in the West, and his dreams brought nothing but peril and confusion to those gullible enough to listen to them.

A drop of rain fell upon the palm of his hand, leaving a dirty smudge as it trickled away. Unlike what he was used to in Númenor or other parts of the mainland, the Mordor rain never made it past the first few drops. Just as it was with the sun, the elements seemed to be continuously trying to break across the black spell of this place, to little or no avail. Only the wind, that terrible Eastern wind, was strong here.

Trying to relish in the brief sensation of wetness in his skin, Amandil gazed again beyond the plain, at the place where the chain of mountains was violently cleaved by the valley of Cirith Gorgor, and the dark fortresses which bolted it shut. For a moment, he felt as if he could see beyond it all, even inside the tower of Barad-dûr, where their greatest enemy stood alone and abandoned by his servants, with all his malice, all the poison which the Dark Enemy of the World had instilled in his mind since the beginning of Time, bent upon a single objective.

There is nothing you can do.

As he finally trudged back towards his tent, Amandil’s thoughts were even darker than before.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil did not find an opportunity to speak in private with the King for the rest of the day. As he had predicted, the latest embassy was over soon, but there were other endeavours occupying Ar Pharazôn’s mind, and councils and reunions succeeded one another in the royal tent. Amandil was invited to most of them, but his words rarely managed to cut a path through the growing feeling of euphoria affecting the leadership of the conquering army. Pharazôn’s triumphant mood had infected all his surroundings, and if he had claimed then and there that the sun shone and the grass was green around them, they would have believed it to be so against their better knowledge. This left no place for dissent, be it in the shape of prophecies of doom or mere cautious assessments. And Amandil, who after his vision felt more disconnected than ever from this current of optimism, had the strong sensation that there was no place for him in that gathering, either.

Still, he had never been one to surrender easily, so he forced himself to wait until he found an appropriate moment, right after the others had begun to retire for the night.

“You did not seem very cheerful today”, the King remarked, filling a glass of wine for him. In sharp contrast with the excitement of the reunion, Amandil realized that he looked rather tired now. “Grisly scenery, isn’t it?”

Amandil decided to cut to the chase at once.

“I had a dream last night.”

“I see.” Pharazôn drank from his cup slowly, then set it back on the table. His forehead curved into a slight frown. “One of your prophetic dreams?”

“Yes”, Amandil nodded, remembering Bazerbal’s expression of superstitious disgust that morning. “One of my prophetic dreams, where I saw the destruction of Númenor, engulfed by a great wave.”

“Really? Do you still dream of that?” Pharazôn laughed, though his laughter seemed a little forced. “I remember that day you awoke in terror because you had seen a wave made of blood, only to realize that I was covered in blood from that initiation ceremony. The way you screamed! I thought the whole garrison of Umbar would storm inside that bathhouse with unsheathed swords.”

“I have always dreamed of it, since I was a child” the lord of Andúnië replied, refusing to acknowledge the King’s attempts to sidetrack him. “But tonight, I dreamed of Sauron. He was there, and he was triumphant. I think – I think it was him, who had destroyed Númenor.”

Pharazôn sobered at this. For a while he remained silent, his glance set on him, as if pondering something.

“This was the same Wave dream the late King had. The dream your grandfather had, and yet they both died without seeing it come true. How do you know it is not going to happen a thousand years from now? And, even if it pertains to the reality at hand, how do you know it must be interpreted literally, and not as riddles or symbols, like many of the visions seen by priests?” Amandil opened his mouth, but Pharazôn was faster. “The entire line of Andúnië has this dream, and no one knows for certain why it is so, or what does it portend. And now, you say that you have suddenly begun to see Sauron in the middle of it. Well, perhaps I could try to explain that! Your mind is set in the belief that this campaign is going to bring disaster upon Númenor, in one way or another. Those fears torment you by night, and that is why you see the Dark Lord, just like you saw blood after you smelled it on me.”

Amandil felt angry at Pharazôn’s condescending tone, and yet he knew better than to allow himself to be provoked so soon. Forcing himself to let go of a deep breath, he set to refill the cups while he pondered those words.

Dreams are what they are, not what you want them to be. If you had them, I would not have to explain this to you, he longed to say, but then Pharazôn would be on the defensive, and he would challenge him to reveal precisely how and when the events of his dream were meant to happen. And the truth was that Amandil did not know. As he pondered the extent of the difficulty of his position, he felt more frustrated than ever, for how could he expect to challenge the leadership of a military campaign with some babble about visions? That, to him, this dream and the dangers it portended were just as real as the man who stood before him, as the wine that left a warm trail down his throat, was of no consequence to anyone who could not share in his thoughts.

“This danger is real. I cannot prove it to you, the way you would have me to, but I know that it is”, he tried, nonetheless, putting every inch, every shred of the powers of conviction he had ever commanded in his voice. “I know that Sauron is not as cornered as he claims to be, and that he will not stop until he has destroyed all of us.”

Pharazôn sighed. He let go of his cup, and threw his arms up in an almost manic gesture.

“I know. I know, Amandil, damn it! I know all of this, and that is the reason why I am here! I do not need a dream to tell me that I cannot let Sauron escape, or that I cannot let him play any more games with us.” Taken by his agitation, he began to pace around the table. “If it is not possible to kill him, at least I have to make sure that he is never a threat to us again. But, how can I achieve this if I retreat, and allow him to sit in Barad-dûr planning his next strike? By the King of Armenelos, I do not know why we are even arguing about this! What is it with you? Your dreams are telling you that Sauron is a threat to Númenor, and yet you are still trying to find some way to dissuade me from defeating him! What is your advice, beside your prophecies of doom? Do you even have any?”

Amandil did not follow him with his glance. Instead, he fixed his eye on a notch on the surface of the table, forcing it to remain there.

Did he have any, indeed? His own words to Pharazôn long ago, about a leader on the battlefield being well advised not to waste his time chasing after dreams and visions, came back to haunt him with their terrible irony. And the worst of all was that Amandil himself, in the past, had taken part in a hundred battles without ever having those visions interfere with any of his moves, or with a single one of his decisions. As many times as he had dreamed of the Wave, this particular feeling was as new to him as it would be to Pharazôn if he were to be suddenly overwhelmed by the power of his own Elven blood.

“I do not know. I…” He stopped, wondering if he could start over again. “Do not trust him. Do not believe his offers, his promises, anything that comes from his mouth. His powers for deceit are great, and he will use them on you, to confuse you, to… take advantage of you.”

Before he had even finished uttering these words, he was aware that they had been a mistake.

“So.” Pharazôn’s voice became deadly serious, and colder than it had ever been in their Council rows. “Once again, all I can gather from your words is that you refuse to trust me. You think me weak, and you believe that once I set eyes on Sauron I will…. forget why I am here, or something like that. Well, perhaps I am not a god, and perhaps I am not an immortal. But if you think, for even one moment, that I will forget any of the wars I have led, any of the battles I have fought, any of my men who have died and everything else which brought us here, then perhaps I was wrong to believe that I ever had your respect.”

Amandil paled at this.

“That is not it! I just do not think that any man…”

“Any man!” Pharazôn cried. “I have defeated the armies of Mordor in battle many times. I have wrestled one of Sauron’s wraiths, and now I stand before the gates of the dark kingdom, the first King in the long history of Númenor to do so. Sauron, the same Sauron whom your Elves could never defeat, has sent four embassies to me suing for peace, and you think I am any man?” His cheeks had grown flushed, and his eyes burned like coals. Amandil had never seen him so angry before, for his irritating self-confidence had always been there to protect him from the worst impact of any offense. Now, however, it was this same self-confidence which appeared to have burst away from its confinement, like a monster freed from its cage. “No, Amandil, I am not any man. You are. That is why you cannot fathom that I could achieve things you would be too scared to contemplate, and succeed where you believe that you would fail. That is all there is, and that is all there ever was!” He put the cup down with such strength that a piece of the clay broke off from the impact. “And if you are too afraid to watch, then you should leave. You already helped your son, you came to the Arnians’ rescue, you have all that you wanted, so why are you still here? Take a ship, sail back to Númenor, enjoy it before it sinks!”

Amandil could not believe his ears. For a moment, he just stood there, unable to react, to untangle his feelings enough to decide whether he was angry too, or apologetic for causing this much offense. In the end, he realized that the stirrings in his chest did not correspond to any of those two emotions, but to an entirely different one.

Fear. He was afraid, not for himself, but of what could happen if this Pharazôn were to face Sauron. To Amandil’s eyes, his friend had never appeared so strong, and yet so weak at the same time, as if he was standing upon the highest peak in the world and the great height had addled his mind and made him stumble upon the brink. And if he were to fall now, all of Númenor would fall with him.

Stop it. Stop acting like this, he wanted to say, but he did not know how to do it, the words he should use to convey that without invoking even more hostility. For the first time, Amandil realized what a terrible advisor he was, how unsuitable he had always been for this task.

In the end, he settled for the obvious.

“Forgive me. I did not mean to doubt your abilities” he said, trying to sound as sincere as he could. “I was merely concerned about Sauron. This dream – it unsettled me.”

That statement was true, insofar as it had been Sauron whom he had considered untrustworthy when he had uttered those words before. And yet now, more than ever, it was not the whole truth, and he feared that Pharazôn would notice if he stared at him hard enough.

To his surprise, however, the burning flame of the King’s temper was quenched almost as fast as it had been kindled, leaving nothing but an undercurrent of tired annoyance in its wake. That, at least, he was familiar with.

“You have no reason to be concerned. I am not the Pharazôn who set foot in Harad for the first time, and I know what I am doing”, he said, while he picked up the broken piece of clay, examined it thoughtfully, and discarded it with a frown.  “Now, go to sleep, and tell someone to stand guard nearby and shake you awake if you have another dream, because I have no time to listen to more of this nonsense. I have too many councils to oversee, dispatches to read and envoys to behead.”

“Is that really necessary?” Amandil swallowed, grimacing at the remaining bitterness of the wine.

“Until Sauron receives the message that I want him to come in person, yes. Or at least until his people do.”

“And if he does not? If he merely stops sending envoys, and remains in his tower?”

If only he could be buried there, and guards posted in every gate, and the Black Gate bolted shut. If only they could forget that he had ever existed.

Pharazôn might have guessed at least some of those thoughts, because he gave him a suspicious look.

“That is when I will get angry.”

Amandil pondered this briefly. If they had to engage in battle with Sauron’s remaining minions, and storm his fortress, there would be many casualties in their side as well. And in the end, Sauron would still be waiting for them, the final obstacle which could not be avoided, no matter what they did.

There is nothing you can do.

“Perhaps I should take your advice and sleep, then, to keep my strength for that eventuality”, he said, wishing for nothing more than to be alone, and at the same time dreading it. “If I have your leave.”

“You would have had it an hour ago, if you had asked”, Pharazôn joked mirthlessly. “Good night, Amandil.”

The moon and stars were not visible upon the sky of this dreary, sinister land, so Amandil had to ask the guards for a lantern to guide his steps towards his tent. One of them stood up, and silently proceeded to escort him. As he walked on, under the onslaught of the cold wind, he risked blasphemy to silently elevate a prayer to Eru, begging not to be sent any more of those useless dreams.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The next morning, the fifth since they set camp, the embassy from Mordor was led by an Orc, a surprisingly large specimen of their stunted breed. He was not even allowed to speak, nor did anyone in his party return to bear tidings or messages. On the sixth, however, a single figure rode through the gates, and as it approached the Númenórean encampment everybody scattered before it, leaving an empty corridor through which it advanced slowly, as if indifferent to its surroundings. The figure was wearing a hood, and when Amandil tried to gaze at its face, he saw nothing but darkness. All around him, men of great valour, who had fought for many years in the Númenórean army, were pale and silent, as if they had seen their own death standing before them.

The lord of Andúnië, too, could feel as if an invisible hand, cold as ice, was constricting his chest. He needed to gather all his strength to stand his ground, and for a moment he wondered if this was Sauron, come at last to meet them -and if so, how could they ever pretend to defeat him.

Then, the black rider passed him by, and with great relief, he felt his mind regain its precious clarity. This was not Sauron himself, but one of his mightiest servants, those that the Elves called the Nazgûl. Feeling that his legs obeyed his commands again, he hurried towards the royal tent, the pommel of his sword held in a tight grip.

As he arrived, he saw that the guards, too, had been scattered by the creature’s advance, unable to prevent its entrance. Among them, Bazerbal was standing still, looking confounded. When Amandil laid an arm upon his shoulder, the man jumped, and almost unsheathed his sword on him.

“It is me, Lord Bazerbal”, he said, his tone as soothing as he could make it. Little by little, the man seemed to become aware of his surroundings, and there was such shame in his countenance that Amandil could not help but feel sorry for him. “Come. We should be at the King’s side.”

Bazerbal nodded, as if he was not sure that words would come from his throat if he tried to answer. It must have been the first time that he opposed no resistance to Amandil’s wish to enter this place, the lord of Andúnië thought wryly.

As they approached the entrance, the first thing they heard was a strange, inhuman sound, like the hiss of a snake which had been twisted to form words.

“… and this is the Dark Lord’s last offer of peace to the King of the Númenóreans. If you do not take it, his wrath will fall upon you and your army!”

“How dare you threaten me! As if you could dictate any terms here, or offer me peace!” Haunted by a terrible premonition, Amandil entered the tent, followed by the Umbarian general. What he saw made him stop in his tracks. The spectre was hovering over the King’s seated form, like some sinister allegory of Death taken from the tales of the superstitious populace: a dark robed creature coming to suck the souls from the bodies of men.

Ar Pharazôn, however, did not look intimidated. His right hand was holding something in a strong grip, and Amandil could barely put his wits together to guess what it must be.

“I will not have peace with your Dark Lord until the last stone of his fortress has crumbled to dust, until the last of his armies has been disbanded, and he has ridden here in person to submit to my judgement”, he said. “And hear this now: if he sends one more of his servants to offer me terms, no matter what those terms are, I will take my army and storm the Black Gate. Then, I will slaughter everyone who still remains in the land of Mordor, and destroy any building that is left standing.”

Though the Nazgûl had no face, somehow Amandil could feel the intensity of his wrath. It was an almost physical wall of dread, which left him breathless even where he was standing.

“How dare you, mortal? You overstep your own limits when you defy our Lord, a god who existed before the world came into being. Take your victory and count yourself lucky, because if you persist in your insolence, you will invoke death upon your line and disaster upon your people, and it will be too late to repent of your folly!”

“It is interesting that you refer to me as a mortal.” Pharazôn’s voice sounded almost as deadly as that of the creature. “For I hear that this is what you are, too. You are a wretched mortal whose body perished long ago, but whose soul remains bound to this earth through Sauron’s evil sorcery. You are half-dead already, and I know how to kill the other half.” Alarmed, Amandil saw the Nazgûl rise taller above the King’s form, as if he was about to attack. His ears caught the familiar noise of a sword being unsheathed, and he was blinded by the gleam of the blade. Next to him, Bazerbal gasped.

Cursing at himself for lowering his guard, even for a moment, the lord of Andúnië grabbed his own sword, and rushed to defend the King. As he did so, however, he realized that Pharazôn did not need his help. The sword of the King of Doriath was in his hand, pointing at the black void where the wraith’s heart had once been. A horrible noise, reminiscent of a keening wail, exploded in Amandil’s head, and for a moment, he felt as if his mind was being cleaved in two.

“Begone, foul creature, or I will kill yet another of your master’s envoys! Begone and tell him to be here tomorrow before nightfall, if he does not want me to come for him!”

“You are doomed, King of Númenor. You are doomed, and your people with you!”

Shocked, the lord of Andúnië barely had the time to duck before the spectre flew past him, like a black cloud of dust blown by a windstorm. Unable to keep his composure any longer, Bazerbal fell to his knees with a sharp cry.

Still holding the sword in his hand, Pharazôn stood from his seat, and walked towards them. As he offered a hand to help the general back to his feet, his eyes gazed towards the entrance through which the spectre had departed, a strange look upon his face.

“I am sorry, my lord King. I -I apologize for my cowardice”, Bazerbal muttered, his features still pale. “I… do not know what came over me.”

“Fear. It is the fell creature’s weapon.” Pharazôn said. “I was also affected by it once, but after I came to face him on the battlefield, I realized that there was not much else to him. That is why I do not fear him any longer.”

“The King is right. He was a mortal once, and a powerful one, but he was deceived by Sauron until he became what he is now”, Amandil chimed in. Pharazôn saw right through his subtlety, and frowned.

“You were shaking like a leaf when this shadow of a man stood near you. Perhaps you should be more concerned about Sauron’s capacity for deceit than I am. If he detects the weakness of my advisors, who knows? He may think he can get to me through you.”

Amandil blinked, shaken by the malicious intent in those words. For there was no way for him to deny these accusations, just as there was no way to fully trust Pharazôn to handle the situation. And now, it seemed, the King had found an effective way to pay him back in kind.

“I will endeavour to prove myself a loyal counsellor. May the wrath of the gods fall upon me if I should ever betray your trust!” Bazerbal protested, believing himself questioned by Pharazôn’s suspicions. The King shook his head.

“I know of your loyalty, Bazerbal. And I am sure that you will withstand this challenge to the best of your ability. Now, go outside, and tell the men what has happened.”

Still looking as if he would have wished to say something more, the general bowed reluctantly, and took his leave. Amandil followed him, but stopped in his tracks right before he crossed the threshold.

“You are right.”

“What did you say?” Pharazôn had set to the task of sheathing back the sword, and laying it back on its bejewelled case. Amandil swallowed hard.

“I said that you are right. I can be deceived, too. I cannot trust myself, and you cannot trust me. And if we can be having these thoughts before he has even crossed his own Black Gates, then perhaps he has already won his first battle.”

“It appears I have made my point, then, to Sauron’s wraith no less than to you.”

Amandil wished he could hit him.

“But we are still not the same, my lord King, you and I. If I should succumb to the Enemy’s power, I will pose but a minor problem. If you should succumb to it, however, Númenor is doomed. That is why, if Sauron tries to deceive you, and I am here to witness it, my conscience will not allow me to remain silent, no matter how unwelcome my words are, or the risks they may pose to me.”

“I will not be rid of you easily, will I?”

The lord of Andúnië was at a loss as to what it was that he detected in Ar Pharazôn’s voice now. It could be anger, like that which had exploded so violently in their previous argument, or mere irony, or perhaps something else. From that distance, he could not scrutinize his features, and the King was not looking at him.

“Not by peaceful means, no”, he risked replying. When he realized that the outburst did not come, he shrugged. “By your leave, my lord King.”

This time, Pharazôn did not even reply.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The rumour that the great surrender would take place on the next day or not at all soon spread across the camp like wildfire. As the pale ghost of the sun travelled across the darkened sky, no one could be found speaking of anything else, and the more it hurtled towards its final fall beyond the horizon, the more the air became rife with whispered theories and speculation. Wherever Amandil turned, he saw expectant looks and excited faces, as if the greatest event of Númenor’s history was about to unfold before their eyes. A few of the soldiers seemed afraid, for they still remembered the superstitious awe that the name of Sauron had exerted on their imagination in days past, but most had forgotten this fear, and believed their King to be greater than a thousand demons. After all, had he not chased the spectre who struck all those who surrounded it with terror, just the previous day? Had he not received six embassies and rejected all their terms, standing proud before the gates of Hell itself?

“He will not come”, an old veteran shook his head knowingly at the comrades who shared his food. “Why would he? He will remain holed in there, and wait for us. And once we are in his territory, he will direct his sorcery at us.”

“His sorcery!” a younger man snorted, disdainful. “If his sorcery was so powerful, why is it that we have never encountered it on the battlefield? All we have fought is Orcs, and more Orcs, and their Easterlings and Haradrim allies. Why would he need to keep all those troops, arm them and feed them, if his sorcery was enough to defeat us?”

“And why should I know?” the old man replied crossly. “Do I look like an immortal spirit to you?”

“Those troops are all gone now” a third man chimed in. “They have deserted him, and fled through the Vale. I heard it from the messengers who came the other day.”

“Well, perhaps he could have used his sorcery to prevent them from leaving!”

“Do you know what? I hope he does not come”, the young soldier said, a fierce gleam in his eyes. “I want to conquer Mordor by the sword, not by a cowardly surrender. I want our glory to be earned!”

“Bah, what does it matter?” The veteran spat on the ground. “A victory is a victory, no matter how it comes about.”

As Amandil passed them by, a silence came over the group, as if they had finished discussing the subject, though soon enough he was able to hear their voices picking it up again in the distance. It had become a sort of pattern: the arguments about whether Sauron would come or not, the cautious attitude of the older soldiers contrasting with the confidence of the younger, even the prudence -or was it mistrust?- that made them fall silent or change the topic whenever they saw him approach.

Dusk was already falling when the lookouts deployed on the plain sent a messenger, riding at all speed to inform the King that the Black Gate was, once again, open. Though he had been preparing for that eventuality for a long time, Amandil felt a chill travel down his spine. In an instinctive move, he grabbed his sword until his fingers were numb, until he remembered, ashamed, that this would be of no avail against the enemy they were facing.

Close to him, Ar Pharazôn was wearing the same armour, cloak, and crown he had used to appear before the Arnians. He, too, was wearing the royal sword, though he did not grab it when he heard the messenger’s report. Instead, he entered his tent several times, barking orders to his aides to find this and that, in a way that revealed to Amandil that, in spite of his pretence, he was just as nervous as he was himself.

Soon afterwards thousands and thousands of soldiers, veterans and new recruits alike, began flocking away from the different sections of the encampment, until even the wide expanse of the central square became too cluttered to accommodate new arrivals. On the farthest rows, Amandil could see men pushing other men, and even some fights breaking out, but no one of those who stood in front moved an inch closer, or set a single foot on the path the Dark Lord was meant to follow. At some point, Pharazôn emerged from the tent definitively, and sat on the ivory chair which had been brought outside according to his indications, set over the dais where the sacrifices to the Lord of Battles were performed daily. His presence there brought a strange, almost religious silence to the surrounding multitude, and the last quarrels were forgotten as all eyes in the gathering became fixed on him.

Amandil, however, did not gaze in that direction. Instead, his eyes became lost in the distance, scrutinizing the farthest point they could reach of the empty corridor which stretched all the way to the very entrance of the encampment. In this pose, he could feel himself losing track of time, and he could not have said if it had been mere instants or hours before a muffled cry echoed eerily in the silence.

His limbs tense in alert, he blinked furiously, trying to see past the growing shadows of twilight. At first, he could not manage to distinguish anything; then, all of a sudden, he saw it. He was not the only one: everywhere in his vicinity, he felt an undercurrent of agitation, and though no one broke the silence again, he saw that the empty corridor gradually grew wider as people retreated as much as they could, as if unable to bear the proximity of the lone rider.

Sauron.

He was not riding one of the fantastic winged beasts that the tales of Elves and Men attributed to his ranks, but a mere horse, black as a starless night. His figure was entirely covered by a black set of armour with iron spikes, and his face hidden under a tall helmet which perhaps had been forged in imitation of the Iron Crown of the Dark Lord Morgoth, back in the First Age. He wore no cloak, but somehow, a strange illusion made it seem as if all the dust floating in that pestilential air was drawn towards him, shadowing his form.

When he arrived at the foot of the dais, next to where Amandil stood, he stopped to dismount from his horse. The beast stood perfectly still, as if the breath of life had the ability to abandon it whenever its master did not need its services. As he stood there, drawn to the full height of the physical form he had adopted, the lord of Andúnië was surprised to realize that he was tall, but not as much as he had imagined. Elendil was taller than this, he mused idly, but just as it appeared in his mind, the thought vanished. Instead, an onslaught of horror and revulsion took hold of him, threatening for a long-drawn moment of agony to overwhelm his senses. It was somewhat reminiscent of the fear inspired by the Nazgûl the previous day, before the King’s tent, but at the same time very different. For it was not Sauron who was directing his power at him, to weaken and defeat him. Amandil could not even explain how he knew this, but somehow, he did: Sauron was doing nothing to him as he stood in silence before the eyes of the multitude. He was not using sorcery or deceit to evoke this reaction.

He merely existed.

The Elves named him well, he thought, biting back the bile from his mouth before he could retch. He is the Abhorred One.

Trying to escape this sensation, he forced himself to focus on Pharazôn, sitting on his chair. To his surprise, Amandil realized that he did not seem affected by any similar feelings of nausea, or else he was such a consummated actor that no one could perceive any trace of them in his countenance. Instead, he looked down at Sauron, and his voice was as firm and strong as it always was when he spoke before a throng of people.

“You are the one whom they call the Dark Lord Sauron?”

“That is how others have called me, yes.”

Amandil’s heart constricted anew at the sound of this voice. He had never given much thought to how an evil spirit could sound like when he wished to communicate with the Children of Ilúvatar. If he had, he might have ventured that it would be similar to the Nazgûl spectre’s sinister hiss, but this was nothing like that. It was a true voice, melodious, with a courteous inflection even, and the slightest trace of an accent he could not quite pinpoint, as if pronouncing Adûnaic properly was somehow a more difficult task than taking a mortal voice. And yet, to Amandil’s ears, what was truly horrifying was that he recognized it. He had heard the voice before.

It was the voice in his dream.

“And have you come to offer me your unconditional surrender?” Ar Pharazôn continued asking. He does not seem affected by any of this, Amandil thought, uncomprehending, and then, in a bout of panic, the dark thought entered his mind. Has he entrapped him, or me?

Sauron took his helmet in in hands, and pulled it away from his face. As it emerged from under it, Amandil heard other gasps beside his own. There was nothing in common between the fallen Maia’s appearance and that of his foul servants: as it appeared, he liked to surround himself with ugliness, while he alone remained fair. Fair as an Elf, the lord of Andúnië thought, marvelling at the perfect symmetry of his features, his pale skin, the golden head of hair, and eyes which were as blue as the sea of Andúnië in Spring.

And yet that, too, was mockery, he realized, in renewed revulsion. The old stories about Elves being twisted into Orcs by Morgoth with the help of his servant acquired a new meaning, a new perspective than what they had in his distant childhood memories. He has the power to twist beauty into ugliness, and ugliness into beauty.

“Yes, King of Númenor. I have come to offer my surrender”, the monster said. Slowly, but without pause, he ascended the steps of the dais, until he was at Pharazôn’s side. Amandil had to forcefully prevent himself from leaving his place and pulling him away from the King. How could no one have thought of even checking him for weapons, for Eru’s sake? Had they all gone mad?

But Sauron did not make any hostile move whatsoever. Instead of that, he appeared to take a deep breath, and then fell to his knees before Ar Pharazôn’s.

“I kneel before your greater might, King of Númenor. I surrender to you my land, my armies, my fortresses, and my person. I will swear fealty to you, and to never rise in arms against the Island, its colonies and allies as long as your kingdom exists upon this Earth.”

All around them, to Amandil’s bewilderment, the air erupted in cheers. He did not understand, how could they be so blind? Did they not realize that the battle was taking place now, at this very moment?

Pharazôn’s eyes narrowed.

“I accept your surrender, Lord of Mordor.” Then, he looked beyond Sauron’s kneeling figure, and Amandil realized that he was looking straight at him. For an instant the fallen Maia’s eyes, too, were raised from the floor, but it happened so fast that Amandil did not even know if they had noticed him or not. “But your word is not enough, and you have deceived too many people for your oaths to have any worth in my eyes. All your fortifications will be destroyed, your people will be outlawed and hunted to death, and you will follow us to Númenor as a prisoner. That is the only way I can make sure that you will trouble us no longer.”

Amandil felt as if someone had knocked the breath away from him. He stared back at Pharazôn, incredulously, and the King stared back, a triumphant look clearly visible in his eyes.

Sauron appeared very displeased by this turn of events. He looked so agitated that Amandil could almost believe he was losing his composure.

“I beg you to reconsider your decision. I would never dare to challenge an army as great as this, and it would be folly for me to even try. But I cannot live so far away from the foundations of my power. If I do, my strength will be greatly diminished, and then I will be of no use to you as a prisoner or a hostage. Keep me here, set an army to guard my every move if you do not trust me, and I promise I will prove myself a dedicated and valuable ally to you and your people!”

Pharazôn frowned in irritation.

“I have no use for you. If you are diminished, that is none of my concern. In fact, if I could, I would see you dead here and now, and you would pay for all the Númenóreans and allies who lost their lives fighting your foul servants.” He stood up, making a sign to the aides who stood next to Amandil. “Take him, and make sure that he does not escape.”

The men hesitated to obey, and Amandil could not blame them. There was nothing in the world which would repel him more than approaching this demon, though in their case, it seemed to be fear what gave them pause. Only after they had touched him, and realized that the Maia had a body made of flesh and blood, like their own, they seemed to take some courage, and not long afterwards one of them had grown bold enough as to throw him across the floor. Amandil gave the scene a last look of disgust, before he turned away to return to his tent.

As he did so, Sauron let go of a choked gasp, and leaned on his elbow to look in his general direction. Again, it happened fast, and yet, somehow, this time Amandil had the certainty that their eyes had met.

There is nothing you can do.

That night, while he tossed and turned underneath the blankets of his tent, the lord of Andúnië kept having visions of two gleaming eyes that stared at him in triumph. He tried to convince himself that he had not seen this, that it all had happened too quickly, that the feverish images of his dreams were interfering with his remembrances, and yet the eyes remained there, their unspoken taunt swimming in and out of his consciousness, and he could not fall asleep.

The Aftermath

Read The Aftermath

The day after Sauron surrendered, half of the Númenórean host broke camp, and boarded their ships to return South. The remaining soldiers were left under the command of Bazerbal’s Vice-General, Belzamer, with orders to secure all the Enemy’s fortresses and kill those of his servants who had not fled. This was a slight divergence from the original plan, for Pharazôn had been intending to see to this task himself, and destroy the greatest symbol of the Enemy’s power, the Tower of Barad-dûr. Still, when he had seen the Dark Lord kneeling at his feet, he had come to realize the futility of it. For the Black Tower was but the symbol of a power who did not dwell there anymore, an empty shell devoid of its former menace. What had made Mordor into a name of dread was not its fortifications, its hordes of Orcs, or even the clouds hanging perpetually over its formidable mountains, but the creature who had wrought it all in an attempt to destroy the Númenóreans. The land’s defences still had to be dismantled, and the survivors had to be prevented from seeking refuge there and turning into dangerous bands of outlaws which could terrorize the surrounding area, but aside from that, he had no further interest in Mordor.

Bazerbal, on his part, thought that it was an excellent idea to return to Umbar quickly. Though he had soldiered on loyally for the whole campaign, Pharazôn knew that he was secretly pained about leaving the Second Wall so sparsely manned, and worried about what some of the tribes could do in his absence. Belzamer, on the other hand, had reacted bravely to his orders, as though remaining in this terrible place and going deeper into it was an honour instead of a daunting prospect. None of his captains or his men had voiced a single complaint, either, before starting their preparations to march. Everyone seemed so elated, so exuberant after witnessing last night’s events, that it was as if they had found some inner strength in themselves that they did not know they possessed, compelling them to rise above their petty human emotions and be worthy of belonging to the greatest empire in the world.

Everyone but one.

In the last days, Pharazôn had been feeling more and more exasperated by the lord of Andúnië’s attitude. After that stunt on the ship, and the events in Arne, he had been glad to give his oldest friend the benefit of the doubt and rely on his support, no matter how grudging it could sometimes be. But then, they had set camp before the Black Gate, and the dreams had started. Those wretched visions had awoken Amandil’s fears once again, and his distrust of Pharazôn’s actions had returned in full force. Pharazôn did not want to admit this either, but the fell wind that blew in his face every dark morning, as he awoke from long and restless nights where wine was the only pathway to sleep, had made him quick to anger, and more loath to being questioned or doubted than he ever remembered being. He had felt drawn into a battle of wills, the greatest battle of wills of his lifetime, and in his blackest hours he had seen the abyss before his eyes, where he would take Númenor with him if he were to make a wrong move. In this context, Amandil had been determined to make him question everything: his strategy as well as that of his enemy, his thoughts, his reactions, even his ability to remain himself, causing his composure to fray even more around the edges. A part of Pharazôn had thought him merely oblivious to the struggles which were unfolding before his eyes, and he had done his best to suppress his suspicious side, the one that whispered that he was not as oblivious as he appeared, and that he, too, was preying on his weakness to break his will.

Now, that battle had ended in victory, as all the others he had ever fought. As he had proved he was able to stare at his enemy in the face and remain himself, that Sauron could not ensnare him into abandoning his own judgement, Pharazôn had thought that Amandil would have to admit that his fears had been groundless. But this had not only not happened: the wretched man had remained as troubled as before, and though he had not been able to speak of it openly, he was clearly not pleased with the idea of taking Sauron prisoner to Númenor, or with the orders for their quick departure. This infuriated Pharazôn, as to him, that attitude made even less sense than the previous one. Amandil had been the one who had cautioned him against believing in Sauron’s oaths, and he had not believed them, which was why he had not let him remain in his own kingdom. As for the order to leave, it was also Amandil who had been worried about the people of Arne, and surely he could not have forgotten that the fate of that country hinged on the speed of this campaign’s resolution.

“I should have left you there” he said, his tone deceptively calm as he leaned on the railing. As the mountains receded in the distance, he noticed that breathing had suddenly become easier, though he did not remember feeling suffocated while they were in the camp. “Even this morning, I was thinking of having you take Belzamer’s place.”

“Do I have to thank you for your magnanimous generosity?” Amandil replied, with an edge of sarcasm that was not as hidden as it used to be. In spite of all his poorly thought words, he had not seemed to be actively trying to provoke him while they were still in Mordor, but now there was no other way to read his attitude.

“Why are you in a foul mood?” Pharazôn asked, tired of pretending. “Everything happened as you wished it to happen. We successfully challenged the might of Mordor, Sauron surrendered, and he has not ensnared or deceived me. By the King of Armenelos, Amandil, just close your eyes and try to imagine the future for a moment! Our greatest foe is gone. The power behind every major insurrection we have fought in our lifetime is no more. No longer will our colonists, our allies, need to look towards the horizon in fear, alert for signs of the enemy. Did I not tell you that this would be the outcome, that the prophecies did not lie, that I was destined to do this since I was born? To bring our Island to its highest peak of greatness in three thousand years?” It was much easier to feel the truth in those words, warm and powerful in his chest after he had seen the Dark Lord kneel to him. “Or what is it that you do not like? Do you, perhaps, believe that we should have remained in fear of Mordor for three thousand years more, treading cautiously upon the soil of the mainland because of a demon who cowardly hides in his tower while he sends army after army of dark creatures against us, and persuades the barbarians to make war on us? Or do you believe, as your Revered Father does, that we should abandon all our possessions in Middle Earth and leave millions of people to die?”

Amandil’s forehead was creased in a frown, as if he remained too deep in thought to pay much attention to Pharazôn’s tirade. Still, despite the appearances, he had been listening to it quite closely.

“You know, as well as I do, that Sauron did not make the barbarians hate us, and that this hatred will not disappear with him. If all, they will hate us more, because our claim to protect them from a darker power than ourselves is now gone.”

“It is gone because I destroyed it. How could they ever hope to defy the man who defeated Sauron?”

Amandil shrugged.

“They cannot hope to defy you successfully, but unless you could exterminate them all and turn Middle-Earth into a barren wasteland, they will do it still. And when they do, more Númenóreans will die in the process.”

The anger was becoming too difficult to hide behind a casual tone.

“Do you truly derive pleasure from that thought? Or are you merely pretending in an attempt to spoil my victory? Sauron is defeated, and all you can think about is the possibility of revolt by a bunch of backwater barbarians?”

“No. I am merely replying to your words.” For a moment, Amandil’s glance became so intense that it even gave him pause. “All I can think about is that Sauron is still here.”

“What?” Pharazôn snorted. “In the hold in chains, you mean?”

The lord of Andúnië did not seem tempted to join in the amusement.

“At this moment, yes. Soon, he will be in Arne, in Pelargir, in Sor, and then in Armenelos. Wherever you go, he will go. And what he could not achieve yesterday, he will have years to achieve.”

Now, this was unbelievable. That man was unbelievable. Pharazôn had always known of his old friend’s stubbornness, but this was somehow beyond it, beyond any conceivable human limits. At that moment, it was all he could do to bring some semblance of order to the turmoil of his emotions. For all he felt like saying or, indeed, doing to the man before him would be below his dignity as King, and there were many eyes on this ship.

“Are you implying that this will never end, Amandil?” he asked. His voice came out with a strange quality, which surprised even himself. “That you will remain suspicious for the rest of your life, watching over my movements as if I was the enemy, questioning all my decisions, because you believe I can be ensnared at any time by the words of a war prisoner?”

Amandil did not answer. This sudden silence could be interpreted in many ways, but to him, it felt as damning as if he had said “yes” to his face.

“In that case, I believe the logical conclusion is that you and I should cease working together. For you would only interfere with my endeavours, and a King should not be hindered by those who are meant to help him.”

He could detect a slight pallor in the Andúnië lord’s cheeks, but there was no other hint of a strong emotion he could find.

“Do you wish me to resign from the Council?”

“What? Of course not! Being on good terms with the King has never been a requisite to be part of the Council. In fact, I believe it was created with the express purpose of keeping one’s enemies closer.”  Pharazôn was serene as he said those words, but, in truth, he felt as if the solid deck of the ship was cracking open under his feet. “And it would be too much to expect that anyone will notice a significant change in your attitude.”

Now, however, what they see will be the only truth, were the words that remained unsaid. As if it was a memory from a different life, he remembered that day when they had clashed in the Council about Pharazôn’s measures to mobilize resources for his secret war project. Amandil’s persistence to get to the bottom of it had left him with no choice but to deliver one of the cheapest attacks he could think of: to cast aspersions on the lord of Andúnië’s leadership during that disastrous Arnian expedition. That day, for hours after the session ended, he had been restless, strangely unable to string his thoughts together, and feeling his temper rise at the slightest disturbance. Until then, he had been trying to stick to the resolution that the most prudent and detached part of himself had reached, to trust no one and keep the treacherous nobility of the Island at arm’s length, only involving them in his plans when it became absolutely necessary. In the end, however, it was his worst side which emerged victorious, the sweet voice telling him what he wanted to hear. Amandil had always been his friend, he could be trusted, he was in possession of insights which could be necessary for the development of his enterprise, and besides he was so close to guessing it for himself that it might be wise to silence him before it was too late. It was not wrong to pay him a visit in the Andúnië mansion, to leave the Palace in disguise, like an outlaw who could not afford to be recognized, and have a honest conversation over a jar of wine as they used to do in the past, before the Sceptre came between them. He had given in to this temptation, and now, at last, he could regain enough clarity as to realize how much of a mistake it had been.

He was the King. He had no friends.

“For whatever it may be worth, my lord King, I have always had the best interests of Númenor and the Sceptre in mind.” Amandil’s voice was firm, much firmer than his might be if he had been the one to speak, though his eyes were sad. “And I always will.”

Pharazôn pretended to lean over the railing, his gaze lost in some distant point of the landscape.

“I know.” It might seem like a declaration of loyalty, but it was not. It was not enough to be loyal to the Sceptre if you were not ready to trust the person who wielded it. That small discrepancy between symbol and person might appear unimportant to some, and yet it made all the difference in the world. “I will need you to meet me on deck before we dock in Arne.”

Understanding this as a dismissal, Amandil bowed and left. As he did so, Pharazôn realized that his knuckles had turned white over the knotted wood of the railing, though he was unaware of having applied any undue pressure. He cursed, trying to stare again at the shifting horizon, but he had forgotten what he was supposed to be looking at in the first place.

You are wrong, Amandil, you fool. I do not know what you see in this fiend, but he will never have the best of me. Fuelled by the embers of his outrage, he set his mind to work, gathering and examining his memories of the previous day, every image, sound, smell, thought and sensation. The demon had ridden towards them under the guise of a mortal; a fair, radiant form designed to have him appear friendly and harmless before his enemies. His hair had been golden, and his eyes a haunting shade of blue. A lesser man who knew Sauron’s past actions less well might have been deceived by these appearances, but he knew what this being was capable of, he had seen men, women and children slaughtered by his Orcs and his foul allies, and had experienced his treachery in many campaigns. That was why he had seen the cunning, the furious calculation behind those eyes. And then, his fears had disappeared like the mist before a strong morning sun, because if the Lord of Mordor had been able to make him see what he wanted, he would certainly never have chosen to let him see this. And he had gone as far as to believe that Amandil would share in this realization, that he would be reassured….

His turmoil magnified even further by this new reminder of the person who had caused it, Pharazôn was thrown into a renewed burst of activity. Belatedly, he noticed that his feet were taking him across the deck, past his aides who called after him, and sailors who hurried to bow at his already retreating form. He reached the stairs and took them, one flight after another, until he found himself at the lowest level.

“My… my lord King”, the chief guard stammered, his low bow unable to hide his surprise at seeing him there.

“Out of my way”, Pharazôn ordered. As he crossed the last threshold of that hellhole, he encountered four more guards, who had been huddling over a lamp until they heard him come. “And you, wait outside.”

They did not need to be told twice, and filed past him one after another, leaving the lamp behind them. It took his eyes long to become accustomed to its faint gleam, but, once they did, he could see the outline of the silhouette sitting at the opposite end of the cavernous room.

As he approached it, he could hear the rattle of chains, which told him that Sauron must have made at least an attempt to move towards him as well. Taking a sharp breath, he used the lamp to light the prisoner’s features. To his slight surprise, Sauron did not flinch from it, or even blink, but gazed back at it with an unmoving stare.

“Not as human as you pretend to be, are you? You still need to work on a few details”, he snorted.

“The King of Númenor”, the fiend greeted him, with that beautiful voice he had adopted to match the body. “You honour me with your visit.”

“I fail to see any honour in your situation”, Pharazôn spat. “Tomorrow we will land in Arne, a kingdom which, even in its short history, has suffered the downsides of having you as a neighbour so often that their children are taught to use your name as a curse. I am sure that to see you displayed in chains will comfort them for their recent hardships.”

“Hardships which I did not cause” the wretched creature replied. Feeling angry enough as to let go of his remaining prudence, Pharazôn bridged the remaining distance between them and dealt him a blow across the face.

He did not know what he had been expecting, but he found himself letting go of a breath he had not known he was holding when his knuckles met human flesh. Both the feel and the sound of the impact were loud and oddly satisfying.

Sauron’s form remained bowed for a while, then, slowly, he struggled back to his previous position, spitting a mouthful of blood. As he came back under the glow of the lamp, Pharazôn realized that his lip had been split, marring the perfect symmetry of his features.

“That looks inconvenient”, he said. “You should heal it. For this is not your body, is it? It is just a raiment that you wear, and you can alter it at will.”

For a moment, he had a feeling that Sauron wanted to glare at him in hatred, and silently dared him to do it. The prisoner, however, did not rise to the provocation, and lowered his eyes instead, to gaze at his own knees.

“Perhaps”, he said, in a low voice. “But then, I would rob you of your satisfaction.”

“Do it.” Pharazôn hissed. “I wish to see it.”

Sauron did not answer, or move, and so he struck him again. This blow was even stronger, and it took him longer to recover from it.

“I say, do it!”

Sauron spat the blood again.

“I cannot”, he muttered. His voice was so low, that Pharazôn had some difficulty to catch the words.

“You lie. You lie as easily as you breathe.”

This time, the hatred rose much closer to the surface.

“And why would I? What interest could I possibly have in keeping bruises I could heal?”

In his mind’s eye, Pharazôn was suddenly able to see Amandil snorting.

“An interest in trying to make me lower my guard, maybe. But if that is your purpose, you will not achieve it. I will not relax my vigilance for a single moment, and least of all while we still remain in Middle-Earth. I believe you capable of trying anything, save for meeting me in battle and defeating me honourably.”

“I understand the reasons for your mistrust, King of Númenor”, Sauron replied. “I am a defeated enemy, and in normal circumstances you would have had me killed. The fact that I cannot die must distress you immensely. And yet, I was speaking the truth. The farthest I am from my seat of power, as you call it, the more my… abilities begin to fail. But I cannot force you to believe me, any more than I can force you to set me free or even to stop hitting me. For if I could, I would have done so.” Suddenly, the glow in his eyes turned sinister. “If I could, our positions would be reversed now, and you would be bleeding on the floor, King of Númenor.”

That much was true, Pharazôn realized. And it certainly tallied with the other things he had heard. Númendil’s stories of Sauron’s past deeds, which the old man had intended as a cautionary tale against trusting this creature, had another reading, which any Elf-friend would be too faint-heartedly respectful of their lore and tradition to even see. Sauron was someone who had wheedled his way out of desperate situations by using those wiles because, once all the trappings he surrounded himself with were taken away, he was ultimately weak. If he had been strong, like the gods, it would not have mattered to him that his servants were gone, or that an army of mortals stood at his doorstep. He would not have let himself come to this, never abased himself to this point. And this knowledge of the weakness of his enemy, far from causing Pharazôn to lower his guard, made him strong against any such attempt. For he knew that deceit was the only weapon that this twisted fiend had to hurt him with, and that, as long as he was kept in his place, immortal or no, he had no other way to gain the upper hand.

You are wrong, Amandil. Again. And you were foolish enough to throw away my friendship for fear of a creature like this.

“Is this why you hit me? Because you are angry at the lord of Andúnië?”

The third blow ended with Sauron thrown across the floor, chains rattling all around him.

“If you truly cannot heal yourself, you should shut your mouth now,” he warned. “You are going to be seen by the Arnians, and also by the people of Pelargir, who suffered a long siege by your troops. And then, it will be the turn of the Umbarians and the Haradrim. You have a reputation to maintain as the terrible foe who haunted their nightmares, and the least you can do now is give a good impression.”

The creature raised his face slowly.

“A defeated enemy cannot give a good impression, for all dignity is stripped away from him. An interesting human paradox, is it not? You only feel victorious if you have triumphed over a worthy foe, and yet you will go to any lengths to show yourself and others how despicable he truly is, thus negating the impact of your victory. Having heard so many things about you, I thought you would be less small-minded, King of Númenor.”

For a moment, it crossed Pharazôn’s mind how he would enjoy beating him within an inch of his life -or even beyond, since this creature could not die. But then, another thought stopped him. He was letting himself become too affected by Sauron’s words, and even if the emotions they had evoked in him had nothing positive about them, they were still strong emotions. And this was a territory he knew better than to step into.

“You were despicable long before I ever laid hands on you”, he spat, before turning away and leaving the prisoner to lie in the darkness where he belonged.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

They laid anchor on Arne on the following morning, though in that barbarian harbour there was only room for a small part of their fleet. The rest of the ships were to proceed to Pelargir with Belbazer, where they would begin organizing the great solemnities in honour of the King’s victory. The man had insinuated to him that perhaps it would be better if he left with them, to celebrate his triumph in a proper Númenórean city instead of wasting his time with barbarians who might be feeling discontent after the loss of the lands of the South-East. Pharazôn, however, did not agree. If there was someone who needed to see Sauron’s defeat for themselves, it was the Arnians -and besides, he had some unfinished business to take care of in the place as well.

He had sent dispatches ahead, in the first, lightest ship which had left camp on the previous day, so he could have an idea of the situation before he arrived. His emissary was waiting for them at the harbour, and he informed Pharazôn that Elendil had ridden to battle the day before, and that no news from him had reached the royal palace yet. It was Bodashtart who had been left in charge of the citadel, and upon hearing that the royal fleet was heading there, he had been busy preparing their welcome. Ar Pharazôn nodded, noticing belatedly that Amandil’s forehead curved in a familiar frown of worry at the news. He still worried about his son, no matter how much taller, stronger, and older he grew with the years. Though not a father himself, he knew well enough by now that a parent always would.

As they disembarked, and proceeded to cross the harbour town to start their journey towards the capital, he saw that rumour had preceded their arrival. The Arnians had left their houses and shelters to crowd streets and roads, in such great numbers that it became necessary for the soldiers to force a way among them. Pharazôn remembered the looks of hostility, veiled only by the sheer force of fear, on the previous time he had set foot on this country, and he was satisfied to realize that it had turned into awe. Wherever he passed, everybody stopped struggling to get a better view, yelling at the children or complaining at the soldiers, and the silence became absolute. Every single eye was irresistibly drawn towards him, and towards the one who walked behind him in chains.

Sauron’s bruises healed quickly, though there was still a faint trace of them in his face that morning. For the rest, he walked on without signs of faltering, though a real man would be dragging his feet and doubling under the weight of the chains, and he did not lower his face for an instant. Perhaps he had paid heed to Pharazôn’s mockery about “giving a good impression”. For the first time, he did look more like what was expected of an immortal, or at least like something other than all the defeated enemies he had had at his mercy in the past. Whether Sauron could feel the need to protect his pride before what he no doubt saw as no more than ants crawling in the dirt, or whether he was doing it for Pharazôn’s benefit, with some ulterior purpose in mind, that was something that he did not allow himself to contemplate at length. Amandil, however, appeared to be contemplating it for him, to judge from the perpetual furrows he could detect on the lord of Andúnië’s brow every single time that he chanced to turn in his direction.

As they arrived at the capital city, the crowds grew even larger, and the steep streets which climbed towards the citadel much too narrow to allow for the passage of the entire procession. It appeared that Arnian generals had not engaged in this custom back when they still ruled themselves, so they had never experienced the need to open a large, wide avenue for this type of display. The only such structure they had was the open square before the fortified enclosure of the royal palace, so it was there that they lingered while everyone, from rich ladies in elaborate palanquins to refugees in rags, had their fill of the sight of the demon and his conqueror. Meanwhile, Lord Bodashtart ordered the gates open and rode to meet them with the entire Arnian court behind him, arrayed in full magnificence. Next to him, surrounded by a retinue of veiled barbarians, he could see the Lady Lalwendë with her daughter Ilmarë, who stopped in her tracks, her face white, as she saw Sauron standing next to him. Lalwendë took her hand in hers, and seemed to search around her until she found something which appeared to give her some degree of relief – probably Amandil.

“My lord.” The old man dismounted slowly from his horse without taking his gaze off Sauron, as if he was transfixed by his presence. “My King, this… this is…”

“You are not very eloquent, Bodashtart”, Pharazôn laughed. As if the sound of his voice could somehow manage to break the spell, the Vice-Governor turned towards him at last, and gave a few steps in his direction, almost stumbling like a drunkard in the process.

“I- I humbly salute you, Favourite of Melkor, Chosen One of the Lord of Battles, Protector of Númenor and the colonies and brightest light of the West!” he cried, falling to his knees. “The people of Arne bow before your glorious feat, the greatest deed ever reckoned in the chronicles of those who came before us, which will not be surpassed… which will not be surpassed by any of those who come after!”

Pharazôn nodded with a grin.

“Now, that sounds better. Rise, my lord, and let us enter the Palace. I have swallowed my fill of dust, and now I am dying for a jar of good wine.”

As Bodashtart slowly struggled to his old feet, still stealing glances at the impassive figure of Sauron, Lalwendë leaned to whisper something in her daughter’s ear. For a second, Pharazôn could detect a gleam of hostility in her eyes, though he could not be sure of whether it was directed towards Bodashtart, Sauron, or himself. Before he could gather more information, however, she noticed him looking at her. Immediately, she became flustered, and her head was lowered in a bow.

Pharazôn smiled.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Two days passed by in feasts, ceremonies and sacrifices (which Amandil and his ilk refused to attend, though the Arnians at least did not seem to share their compunctions), before Elendil finally returned from his own campaign, accompanied by his son Isildur. In contrast with Pharazôn’s own triumphal arrival, they were covered in blood and grime as they crossed the gates of the Palace, and the crowd that gathered around them was made of refugees from the Southeast, desperate to hear the latest tidings. Elendil’s news were encouraging enough: the greatest part of the rogue army had been drawn into a trap and defeated by the Arnian troops, leaving only isolated groups who had mostly fled further South, where they would sooner than later fall prey to the patrols who guarded the river from Pelargir. As for their noxious activity before they were intercepted, the reports he brought with him made some preliminary claims that everything which had been already harvested or kept in storage appeared to be lost, including the seeds, and about half of the houses destroyed or damaged, especially in the village they had been pillaging when the trap closed around them. The crops, too, had been affected in all areas where the enemy had spread, though even there some of them might yet be salvaged, and more patrols would have to be sent to ascertain the exact extent of the damage.

“Then send them. And make sure the reports are accurate, for I do not wish to be swindled”, Pharazôn declared. Until now, none of the occupants of the room had noticed his presence, and they seemed quite shocked to see him there. The first to recover was Elendil, who promptly knelt before him. It had been at least half an hour since he had crossed the gates of the Palace, and yet the blood and grime still remained on him, at it also remained on Isildur, Isildur’s Haradric friend, and the other men he only vaguely recognized as Amandil’s men from Andúnië. The only clean person in the room was Amandil himself, who had been listening to the report as if someone had appointed him in an official capacity.

“Forgive me, my lord King. I was on my way to attire myself properly and appear before you with tidings of my campaign, when I chanced to meet my father”, Elendil apologized. “He has told me that you have achieved the most glorious victory in the history of our kingdom, so allow me to extend my heartfelt congratulations in the name of Arne and its inhabitants.”

Pharazôn held out his hand in a dismissive gesture.

“Rise, Lord Elendil. Your Vice-Governor already took care of that part. I will meet with you presently to discuss these tidings, but not before you have taken a proper bath, of course.” He looked beyond him, at the rest of the men who had knelt following his example. “And you are all excused as well.”

As they filed past him towards the door, he could see Amandil looking at the floor, pensive. Only when the last man had left the room, he finally looked up, and did not seem surprised when he found Pharazôn’s eyes fixed on him. He let go of a long breath, and for a moment he appeared to be at the verge of speaking.

Do it, Pharazôn challenged him voicelessly. Say it.

But Amandil merely bowed, and followed his son and the others outside.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“We are very grateful for your generosity, my lord King. Your aid will save the lives of many Arnians, who will remain forever in your debt.”

Since when had Amandil’s son become such a diplomat? It was one thing to act like this before the Court or before a crowd, but they were in private now, and Pharazôn still had fresh memories of a much different attitude, even at the time when they participated together in the Pelargir campaign. A part of him missed that Elendil, who was blunt enough as to register his disagreement or his displeasure whenever it was warranted. But of course, this had been before the son of Amandil had any real reason to be wary of him -and, as it usually happened with this kind of thing, such feelings were meant to be mutual.

“That is so encouraging to hear!” he replied, unable to keep some of the irony from seeping through. “I feared they might resent me for forcing them into this situation, but you have showed me the error of my thoughts.”

Elendil did not blink.

“They have seen the Dark Lord in chains. I am certain they understand the need to sacrifice themselves for this.”

There was no trace of sarcasm in his tone, nothing but the same, diplomatic humility of moments before. And yet his words, the way in which he had phrased them, left a tiny sliver of a doubt as to his true intentions. Now, he thought, that was a little more like the other Elendil. Though he was no longer the boy’s protector or his father’s friend, this still managed to please him for some twisted reason, which he attributed to his need to engage with worthy opponents.

“While I am in Pelargir, you will conduct your investigation. I wish to have all the facts and figures brought before the Council of Númenor, so I can consider your request. However, I do have a warning for you. Back in Umbar, I also had to promise reparations to many people, and you know how those merchants can be. They will send their representatives to hound me to the ends of the Earth if necessary, and they will definitely try to have all the money for themselves. They have a considerable influence with the Court and Council as well, not to mention the way that Sor is teeming with their associates.” He served himself wine from the jar that a secretary had lay upon the table, purposefully lengthening the pause. “You should send someone who could speak for you, someone who cannot be easily dismissed.”

Elendil frowned.

“My father…”

“Your father is the lord of the Andustar. He can be favourable to your cause, but he cannot speak for Arne”, Pharazôn cut him. “Someone like your firstborn son, on the other hand, would be a wise choice.”

For a moment, he seemed to have left the son of Amandil speechless. Elendil, however, was not one to go without words for long.

“Isildur is needed here, my lord King.”

“I see.” Pharazôn nodded, drinking from his glass. “In that case, you will have to decide where he is needed the most.”

And he was not stupid at all, either. Tense as he was, he managed to hide his distress enough to give him a small nod.

“As you wish, my lord King.”

“And now that Isildur will be returning to the Island with his grandfather, it occurs to me that it might be also a good moment to speak of your daughter’s future”, he continued, relentlessly. This time, Elendil needed a harder effort to hide his dismay.

“I beg your pardon?”

“Surely you do not intend such a high lady to waste her life away among the barbarians, do you? I admire her dutifulness in following her mother all the way here, but it is not she who is married to you, and she should not be tied to your fate. She should be occupying her rightful place in the Court.”

“On her behalf, I am very grateful for the concern you show for her, despite the fact that we are nothing but humble subjects of the Sceptre.” Despite the fact that she is nothing to you and what she does is none of your business, might have been blunter, but of course less diplomatic. “Ilmarë is happy here, and she loves Arne.”

“What, surrounded day and night by those ghastly veiled ladies who keep to themselves and do not speak to anyone?” Pharazôn laughed. “I doubt it. And even if she is, she will have to marry one day. Are you intending to marry her to a short-lived barbarian?”

“She is still young for our people, my lord King.” Amandil would have been itching to hit him by now. “I believe it is yet too soon to speak of this.”

“Yes, that is what the former King thought, too.” Now, Elendil’s eyes widened in disbelief, and perhaps in wonder that Pharazôn would openly acknowledge his greatest transgression against both the Sceptre and the gods. But Pharazôn had an ulterior motive. “You cannot imagine the secrets which could lie hidden behind the most innocent of looks.”

“My lord King.” Elendil seemed at the brink of surrendering the pretence, and he prepared himself for it. “If you have any reason to suspect my loyalty, then it might be more beneficial for the realm if you took the governorship of Arne from me and bestowed it upon a worthier candidate.”

“Your loyalty!” Pharazôn feigned surprise. “Why would I suspect it, Lord Elendil? There is no room for suspicion here, for I know the full extent of it, and how far I can trust it.”

This was too direct even for Elendil’s composure, and his cheeks became slightly tinged with red.

“Then, perhaps you could accept my resignation, and spare yourself the unpleasantness of taking all my children from me to be your hostages.”

“I am shocked to hear you talk like this. I thought you cared about the people of Arne, and yet you seem to imply that you would abandon them at their time of greatest difficulty.”

“I have underestimated you then, my lord King. It is not only my children you would take as hostages, but an entire kingdom. Nothing less from the victor of Mordor!”

Pharazôn smiled again, but this time it was in spite of himself. It was truly remarkable how, no matter how harsh the struggle, how full of bitter words and unkind deeds which could never be taken back, he still could not prevent himself from feeling proud of this wretched man’s responses.

He is not your son, a voice, which suspiciously sounded like Amandil, mocked him from the back of his mind. And he will never be. You still cling to this illusion because you cannot have children of your own, you incestuous sinner.

“Come on, Elendil. Let us keep our good relationship intact, and continue to reap the advantages offered to each of us in our respective positions”, he said, forcing himself to return to a neutral tone. “Stay here, be governor of Arne and rule it at will, and I will give you everything you need to keep your peasants fed. I only ask that you also trust me in exchange. Your children will be safe in the Island, safer than they could ever be here, with Isildur toiling in the wilderness and Ilmarë surrounded by a court of scheming barbarians who could start a conspiracy at any moment and slit her throat in her sleep.  Even you feared this once, feared it enough to defy me. Let me take this fear from you.”

Now, Elendil’s look reminded him uncannily of Amandil, in the ship’s deck days ago. It was the look he had when he came to the realization that there was no way out of their conflict, and accepted it with a proud, yet tired, matter-of-factness, as if a part of him was relieved that he could finally let it go.

As if I still needed a reminder of whose son he is, he thought, bitterly.

“As you wish, my lord King. I am nothing but your servant. If you tell me not to fear, I will not.”

“Good”, Pharazôn hissed, turning away to depart.

Somehow, he did not feel at all triumphant.

 

The Triumph

Read The Triumph

The city of Armenelos had worked very hard to surpass Sor in the magnificence of its celebrations. And perhaps, for the first time in history, it had failed, Amandil thought, revisiting his memories of the events of the past week. Half the Island, including most of Armenelos itself, had flocked to the East, unwilling to wait patiently until the greatest sight of their lifetimes could be brought closer to them. If Sor had been a walled city, like Pelargir, its very fortifications would have burst from the onslaught of people pushing, leaning, pointing, shouting, ready to fight each other for a precious glimpse of the Dark Lord in chains.

Even at the distance from which he looked at them as his party rode by, however, Amandil could detect an important difference between these crowds and those in Arne and Pelargir. The Númenóreans were excited and curious, perhaps enough to risk being crushed or trampled for their curiosity, but in the Island this was nothing new. It was the same reaction elicited by the view of petty Haradric tribesmen, the Northmen captured in the Middle Havens a century ago, or those Orcs that Pharazôn brought after the siege of Pelargir, multiplied by a tenfold because of the infamous reputation of the prisoner. Of the raw emotions of the Middle Earth barbarians and colonists, the deep hatred and fear mixed with elation at witnessing the defeat and humiliation of their enemy, there was no trace to be found here. This is what remained of the regal spirit of their ancestors, he mused thoughtfully. To never feel threatened by anything outside this Island, to see the world as a scene where wars and alliances were as many theatre plays performed for their amusement.

Pharazôn seemed aware of this, and he had taken his role in that play to heart. Whatever he did, whether it was setting foot on the harbour for the first time, riding across the wide avenues of Ar Adunakhôr and Tar Minyatur’s cities, sacrificing to the King of Sor in his temple and to the Lord of Battles in the grandiose new building under the Meneltarma, which the Queen had managed to finish just in time for his arrival, he was always careful to appear to the crowd as Ar Pharazôn the Golden, Favourite of Melkor, Protector of Númenor and the colonies and -a new title which had been added to the traditional ones- Victor of Mordor. Attired in purple and gold, he looked like nothing short of a perfect vision of majesty. His voice never faltered, his hand never shook, and wherever he went he seemed to rise above his fellow mortals, enveloped in a shining aura which stood in deep contrast to the darkness emanating from the abhorred figure that he never let away from his sight.

Only Amandil could not suppress a surge of bitterness whenever he laid eyes upon the Golden King of Númenor. To him alone, this shining aura was nothing but an artifice, a set of glittering, external trappings that hid a mere mortal whose spirit was foundering at the edges. He remembered that morning when a young Temple servant had been hiding from his Revered Father to practise with his sword, only to be interrupted by a boy he did not know, who sat perched atop the garden wall. Back then Amandil had been wary, and as hostile as he could be towards the interloper without running into trouble, but the boy’s eyes shone with a light which pierced the shadows in his heart, and his confidence had given him confidence, healing deep, festering fears which he did not even know he still had.

“Teach me! If you learned this way, I can learn as you did!”

That light had been true, and to him who had seen it, what Pharazôn was showing this crowd was but a pale, pitiful imitation. He knew how to go through the motions, how to look and what to say to charm people, even to make them gape in awe, but the brightness was gone. And at some level, at some profound level, Pharazôn must know it too. Why else would he have gone to the end of the world, ventured into the darkest abyss and stirred the monster awake, even going as far as to coil it, as some Haradric priests would do with a venomous snake, around his own neck? Why would he have set aside the Sceptre he had always coveted, the woman he had always loved, and all the riches and power of the Palace of Armenelos to do this, if not because he felt that he needed to rekindle that fire by proving that he was the bravest, the strongest, the most powerful man in the world?

Amandil recalled that strange moment in the river harbour of Arne, when Pharazôn had suddenly reminded him of his grandfather Ar Gimilzôr. Back then, he had considered this thought to be the product of a moment of mystification, but later he had recognized it as a flash of foresight. Pharazôn, without that inner light which had ensnared Amandil and many others through the years, would be no different from Ar Gimilzôr, a suspicious despot who hid an empty heart behind a façade of regal stateliness. His generous impulses, his sincerity, his spontaneous charm, the self-assurance which made him unafraid of laughing at his own mistakes and forgiving those of others, all of it had been slowly trickling away from him in an agonizing process which Amandil had refused to acknowledge until it was too late. And what they had left in their wake was a man who, unlike Gimilzôr, was not afraid of meeting his enemies in battle, but who, like him, would keep those around him at arm’s length, trust no one, and hide behind the trappings of ceremony and power. He would dangle his generosity before a governor in need, only to force him to give up his own children in exchange for the welfare of his people. He would find no further use for a friendship which had become a hindrance, for Amandil would always feel entitled to contest the decisions that he believed to be wrong. And the most painful of all was that those were not changes wrought by Sauron’s evil influence: they had been there before, in plain sight for any perceptive mind to see. Sauron had done nothing, except perhaps bring them to the fore with his disruptive presence.

But he would. Amandil wished that his fears could be attributed to some petty emotion, such as spite for being displaced as an advisor, or frustration for his warnings being ignored, or perhaps even righteous anger on behalf of his son and family. Deep inside, however, he was genuinely afraid. Ar Gimilzôr’s paranoid suspicions about the exiled House of Andúnië, the Faithful, and his own wayward son, had driven him to listen to people who had employed this influence to advance their own interests. Amandil had not always been a victim in this: the late Princess of the South, Pharazôn’s mother, had obtained permission for him to go to the Cave after Elendil was conceived, and earlier, though he had been too young to remember this himself, he had been told that the then Prince Inziladûn had sent his old head tutor, the former Palace Priest Hannon, to convince the King that it was the will of Melkor that Númendil’s son be spared if he chose to enter his service. Before that, however, it had been other whisperers who had convinced the King to take him away from his parents and have him murdered to end the bloodline of Andúnië, and also to exile his whole family and imprison them in Sor for decades. If Pharazôn was willing to listen, there were enough people at the Court of Armenelos who would be only too glad to invent falsehoods against Amandil, starting with the High Priest of the Cave, who had spent years waiting for such an opportunity. This was dangerous indeed, and Pharazôn’s behaviour in Arne had been a reminder of exactly how dangerous it could grow to be. And yet it was nothing, a mere nuisance that the lord of Andúnië would gladly face a hundred times over, against the possibility that this captive who followed the King of Númenor wherever he went would one day have his ear. For Sauron did not only hate Amandil’s family: he hated their entire race, and if he could find a way to bring their downfall, he would use the King to do it. Pharazôn had dismissed his dreams, laughed off his fears, and told Amandil, in no uncertain terms, that he declared the danger officially over after the first encounter. But wars were often not decided on the first encounter, unless one of the sides was brought to its knees permanently. Sauron had indeed fallen to his knees, but Amandil saw nothing permanent about it. And if those thoughts were not ominous enough, by night his dreams would remind him in an even more vivid way, showing him scenes of terror and devastation, presided by the laughing figure of the monster who lay in their hold, waiting to be unleashed on an Island which had been away from his reach until now.

There is nothing you can do.

Isildur rode at his side, his eyes set in some undetermined spot before his eyes, barely acknowledging the crowds around them. He was furious too, Amandil knew, and it was becoming harder and harder to blame him for it. The day they landed in Sor and they came in sight of the first multitude, he had turned towards Amandil and asked him if he was there as one of the victors or as one of the defeated. Amandil had acted as if he had failed to recognize this as a serious question, telling him that he would be in chains if that was the case, but his grandson had not even attempted a smile.

“In chains or not, I feel paraded before the eyes of Númenor as proof of his victory over my father. At least Ilmarë can hide from them”, he had said, with a bitterness which echoed Amandil’s own. Still, he was able to gather his composure enough to frown at him.

“You are here to speak before the Council of Númenor, to help your father’s people. And you should save your eloquence for that, not waste it coining clever phrases to express your discontent.”

They had not spoken further, and yet Amandil was aware that Isildur’s resentment was too strong to be easily forced into a cage and put away. And his sister’s, too, his mind supplied, remembering the stubborn scowl that Ilmarë had kept during the entire sea journey, even, he thought ruefully, when the King was directly addressing her. None of them had their father’s control over his emotions; they were more like Amandil himself, and of course like their mother, who had always been too open about her feelings for a lady who had grown in the Court. And though Pharazôn had appeared quite unfazed by their behaviour, he would be just as unfazed to threaten them to Elendil’s face.

“I would die before I let any harm come to them or Anárion”, he had promised Elendil before his departure. He did not even know if he believed it himself, or how this promise was supposed to fit in the tangled web that his loyalties had now become. And though his son had appreciated his words, it was obvious that he was aware of it, too.

“Thank you, Father. But I am the one whose actions are under scrutiny, not you.”

So far, Amandil had wanted to say, but he had remained silent.

The cheers of the crowd grew louder, and belatedly, he realized that they had arrived in sight of the Palace gates. The assembled Court was gazing at them from the high terrace, and Ar Zimraphel stood at their centre, crowned in silver and pearls, her hand holding the Sceptre of Númenor. As she saw them approach, she stood closer to the railing and the midday sun fell upon her face, revealing her radiant, miraculously unaltered beauty to everyone’s eyes. The general noise faltered for a moment, and Amandil could perceive a rumble of murmurations around him, the same reaction of superstitious awe that she had commanded ever since she emerged from the Cave.

She smiled, a smile which widened even more as Pharazôn climbed the steps to stand next to her. Their hands found each other, their fingers became entwined, and, shortly afterwards, their mouths met in a passionate kiss. The silence of the crowd was quite noticeable now, from where Amandil stood, and he could even see the imperfectly hidden shock in the countenances of some of the courtiers. No King and no Queen, in all of Númenor’s three thousand years of history, had ever behaved like this in public.

The moment they were finished, however, the cheers erupted anew, more deafening than ever. It was not traditional, but the crowd still liked it. As they had liked their lovemaking in the floor of the Sacred Cave, without minding either the sacrilege or the incest, he thought ruefully, wondering why he was even surprised. Pharazôn always had an ability to do things that people liked, whether he was meant to do them or not. This was part of what had once endeared him to Amandil, and later to his soldiers and to many of Tar Palantir’s councilmen and courtiers, and he apparently was well on his way to win the love of his people as well. To look at them now, he could almost believe that the events in Forostar and the turbulent years before they set on this expedition had never happened.

All hail the Golden King, he thought, ironically. And the Silver Queen as well, who loved him enough to betray her father and veil her far-reaching eyes to the dangers of the future.

According to Númendil she, more than him or even Tar Palantir, had the ability to see beyond the immediacy of the present, but she gave no sign of this now, while she gazed at her husband as if there was nothing else in the world beside him. She did not even have eyes for the dark creature who stood below them at this moment, showing the same disinterest as if it had been a common tribesman displayed before her. How on Earth could she have eyes for his future deeds?

“Have you been struck dumb, Lord Amandil? Come closer, and bring your grandchildren with you! The view is impressive from here.”

Forcing himself to discard his inconvenient musings, Amandil managed a smile, and motioned Isildur and Ilmarë, who had abandoned her litter at the foot of the stairs, to follow him. Lord Númendil and Anárion should be somewhere in that terrace, but he had no time to look for them now. Instead, he followed Pharazôn’s glance and pretended to admire the view of the procession and the surrounding crowds from the heights. The sight was grandiose indeed: a vast, colourful multitude of men and women pressing against each other everywhere that his eyes could reach, their thousands of faces mirroring the same feeling of awe at the spectacle offered for their benefit. And yet, all that Amandil could see, all that his attention could focus on, was that single black dot upon the pavement, surrounded by a hundred soldiers drawing a protective circle around him. For the first time that he could remember, he wished that they were there to witness the bloody spectacle which had always been scheduled at the end of triumphal celebrations, where the enemy leaders would meet their gory ends.

“What would happen if they were to try?” Isildur asked, as if he had read his disgraceful thoughts and not minded them in the slightest. “If they ran him through with a sword, would he bleed?”

Ilmarë’s curiosity was piqued enough by this question as to approach them, to join in their conversation. Amandil sighed.

“That is not an appropriate…” he began, but the King’s voice interrupted him unexpectedly.

“He is wearing a body, and that body would suffer almost the same as ours would. As tempting as I know that this will sound to you, however, I do not think that it would be appropriate for the crowd to witness it.”

“You think too highly of the crowd, my lord King”, the Palace Priest laughed. Amandil, however, could see the point he was trying to make. Pharazôn wished to appear before them as the man who had beaten an immortal, and an immortal who bled would be too similar to a mortal for comfort. Even if some of them understood that immortality was not an attribute of the body, not everyone in the crowd could be expected to be so knowledgeable.

And also, if somehow they managed to kill the body, who could tell what Sauron would be able to do as a spirit? He might be powerless until he managed to latch on to some solid shape (Númendil’s lore seemed to confirm this to some extent), but he would also be free, as no chain or device wrought by mortal hands would be able to contain him. And if he was free, what would prevent him from hiding away in some dark corner of the world, until he had recovered enough of his former strength to take his revenge? Beneath Pharazôn’s arrogance, there was also uncertainty, and Amandil could tell that he was not as confident of his hold on the prisoner as he appeared to be.

For a moment of madness, the lord of Andúnië wondered what would happen if he were to run the demon through with his own sword, if the results of this action would be worth the risk to himself and his people. Ar Zimraphel smiled at him, in a way which made his heart freeze in his innards.

“They would not, Lord Amandil”, she said. Everybody stared at her uneasily except for Pharazôn, who alone seemed unperturbed by her behaviour.

“Let us go inside”, he said.

Doing his best to tear his glance away from the dark shape, who was being dragged away by the soldiers now, Amandil nodded, and followed the King and Queen inside with the rest of the party.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Númendil had not been in the Palace with the Queen, nor was he anywhere else in Armenelos. Anárion informed them that he had departed for Andúnië some time ago to take care of affairs there, leaving him to attend the Council sessions on his own. There was nothing objectionable in this, by itself: since no one but an appointed councilman was allowed to speak before the Council, it made no difference whether it was Númendil or Anárion in attendance, and Anárion was probably the more adept of the two at remembering relevant information. Still, something in his voice as they discussed this made Amandil pause, and if a more urgent subject had not arisen, he would have pressed his grandson to reveal what he was not telling him.

“Grandmother is not well”, Anárion said, his look of open worry piercing Amandil’s thoughts and shattering them in the brief span of one instant. “This last month has been hard on her.”

As it turned out, Amalket was no longer able to stand on her feet without the help of at least two people. Even worse, she was feeling dispirited and apathetic, to the point that she would have remained in bed if Anárion had let her be. As it was, he said, it had been difficult enough to coax her into a chair every morning -and, knowing her, Amandil was sure that this was no understatement.

“Grandmother. Grandmother, it is us.” Ilmarë leaned forwards until her face was aligned with hers; her voice came out a little too bright. “We are back from Middle Earth! Isildur is here, too.”

Amalket smiled at them, though she was trying to look past their faces to scrutinize the space behind. When she found only Amandil, she could not hide her disappointment, and he had to swallow at the sad look in her eyes.

“Only… you?” she asked. Her voice had a raspy quality, as if there was something wrong with her lungs, and the sound of it rent his heart. Suddenly, all his other concerns seemed to have vanished as if blown by the wind, and even the reserve he had been perfecting for years, for decades now wherever she was concerned, was seriously threatened.

“Elendil is fine. He is doing very well in Arne, Amalket. Unfortunately, his people rely on him too much, so he could not leave them, though I know how much he wants to see you.”

And perhaps he will never have the chance, he thought, his mind agitated by the spectacle before his eyes. And what a terrible irony that would be, to be allowed to remain in charge of Arne, only to forego his last chance to see his mother in this world.

“And what are Ilmarë and Isildur doing here, then? Why are they here, if he is not?”

Amandil opened his mouth, then closed it, wondering how to explain this. Before he had the chance to try, however, Ilmarë was already ahead of him.

“Isildur is here because he has to petition the Council for aid to rebuild the country after the war. He speaks for Arne now, though I am not sure this is a good idea!” Isildur muttered something, but not loud enough to be heard above her voice. “And I am here because I was bored in Arne, and I did not want to be the only one left out.”

Amalket did not smile.

“Was this the King’s doing? Did you do something to displease him, that he needs to have our family under his eye now?”

She was no fool, Amandil thought ruefully. Whoever took her for one did not have the measure of her, not by a long stretch. Her weak point was her son, and her logic was only ever impeded when discussing him, to the point that she would never be able to consider that this could somehow have been his fault as governor of Arne.

“Isildur, Ilmarë, you can go outside and send off Malik, if you want” he told them, in a meaningful tone. “I heard he was intending to ride to Andúnië right away.”

They nodded, and bowed almost in unison. Though they smiled at Amalket when they took their leave, it was evident that they had not expected to find her like this, and that this realization had had a sobering impact on both of them.

As soon as they were gone, Amandil sat next to his wife.

“I will not lie to you, Amalket. Things have happened in the campaign, and the King is not too pleased with me right now.”

“You and your stubborn fixation with… with sailing off to Middle-Earth!” she hissed, though her voice failed her halfway through her sentence. “Nothing good ever comes from going where they do not want you.”

That much was true, Amandil had to admit. Following Pharazôn to Mordor on an impulse had brought on a chain of unpleasant consequences. Then again, a voice in the back of his head reminded him, if he had not been there to play middleman, what would have happened to Elendil and the Arnians? The events, as they unfolded, had left little room for optimism, but perhaps they could still have been worse without his presence.

It could have been worse. If that was not the most pathetic comfort of all, then what else was?

“You must have heard that Sauron was brought to Númenor as the King’s prisoner. I was opposed to this, but my advice was not heeded.”

“And what about Halideyid?” she asked, as if Sauron and the dangers that he posed were nothing to her, a mere useless distraction from their conversation. “Did he follow your lead, and is this why his own children have been taken here as hostages?”

“They are not hostages, Amalket.” If it was this obvious even to her, Isildur had been right to feel paraded through the streets of the Númenorean cities. “Where did you get this idea?”

“From Ilmarë. She was trying to humour me.” And Ilmarë had so much to learn.

Amandil sighed.

“It could be said that Elendil followed my lead, yes. And our King has grown less… trusting than he used to be in the past.”

“Of course he has! He is a King! And a King who started his reign by destroying one of the noblest families in the realm and disbanding the Palace Guards to… to….” She had run out of breath again, but as he made a gesture to approach her, she shook her head. “To recruit barbarians in their place.”

“They are not barbarians. Most of them are not, anyway”, he argued pointlessly. Her father had been in the Palace Guards, and for many years he had thought that she had cut them off after their son was forced to leave their ranks. Apparently, however, she still harboured some feelings towards the guild.

She did not contest this point. Instead, she gave him a vulnerable look, almost - pleading, if such a thing was possible in her.

“Whatever it is that you said to the King, take it back. Please.”

“I said nothing to him.” Or rather, it was not something that he said. “We simply disagreed over this.”

“Then agree with him!” She was becoming more and more agitated. “If something happens to our family…”

“…you will rise from your grave and haunt me forever, yes, I know. You already told me once.” Somehow, it was less funny than ever to speak of death now. “I will not let anything happen to your son or your grandchildren, Amalket. I can promise this to you.”

She believed his promise as much as her son had, though he was by far the more diplomatic of the two.

“And how are you going to uphold that promise? When Ar Gimilzôr took you away from your parents, was there anything you could do? When you had to leave and hide to protect me and my son, was there anything you could do? There is nothing you can do against the power of the Sceptre, nothing!”

Amandil could not prevent himself from showing surprise at her choice of words.

“I never – not once, in all these years-  thought I would hear you admit that I had to leave you for your own protection. No, do not speak”, he cut her, before she could launch into an outraged tirade about him misinterpreting her words. But she merely shrugged, and there was a flicker of something in her eyes which gave him pause.

“I was not going to.”

If it had been in any other circumstance, Amandil would have been overjoyed at this admission. Now, however, he felt too empty, or perhaps too full, for that feeling to take root.

“The King is not going to persecute us because I disagreed with him on something, Amalket. He is merely… taking no chances, as he would with any family who was ruling wide territories so far from his reach. I can assure you that we are quite safe.”

She did not look wholly convinced, but at least she seemed ready to drop the argument for the time being. Amandil felt relieved, for her fears were too close to his own for his pretence to be as believable as he would have wanted it to be.

“I never blamed you for having to leave”, she suddenly spoke after a while, taking him away from his disjointed musings.” I blamed you for lying to me. I hope you are not doing it again.”

The lord of Andúnië smiled. Out of pure instinct, he took her hand, and soon her other hand joined them to cover his.

“You have nothing to fear, Amalket. Trust me.”

He could do nothing but lie to her, it seemed. But if it could help her live the remainder of her days in peace, at least this lie might be worth it.

Slowly, clumsily, as if she had forgotten how to do it, she smiled back.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

His feet stopped, so close to the edge of the cliff that he could almost feel the pull of the abyss. He looked down, and watched the sea crash over the rocks, its battering attacks releasing powerful jets of white foam at regular intervals. In a distant spot towards his left, where the coast seemed to fold, a small cove protected the beach he had visited so often since he was a child. There, he had used to walk into the Sea until his feet could not reach the bottom anymore, and then began to swim farther and farther from the shore, as if possessed by a manic, self-destructive energy which no one in his family had been able to understand. He had not really understood it either, but he had been content to go along with it, to chase his impulses and feel, for a glorious instant, as if he was where he was meant to be, doing what he was meant to do.

Usually, the instant lasted until someone, perhaps even the small voice in his head that he identified with his father, questioned his motives and he found himself out of valid answers to give. But not all his impulses had been equally foolish, and in the dangerous lands of Middle Earth, they had even saved his life many times. You have the heart of a warrior, Malik had said to him once. Warriors need to risk their lives even if there is no danger in sight. That is why they need to be waging war; otherwise they will look like fools to other people.

Well, that cannot be helped now, he thought, his anger rushing back to a surface it had barely left for the last weeks. A fool he would have to be, trapped in Númenor and taken away from his true calling, from the place where he was meant to be, and from those he had viewed as his comrades and his people. A fool who wasted away his days in frustrating idleness because of the games that a paranoid King saw fit to play with his father or grandfather, he no longer was sure which. He had done nothing wrong, and yet he was a prisoner in all but name.

After he finished pleading the case of the Arnian people before the Council, Isildur had expressed his wish to travel to Andúnië, to visit the place of his birth and join Malik once he was back from visiting his mother. But he had been told that this was not possible, as he was not allowed to leave Armenelos without special permission. In the end, it was only thanks to Ilmarë that they were there at all: she came up with the idea of asking the Queen, who had said yes. According to his sister, Ar Zimraphel was the embodiment of the unexpected: one never knew how she would answer to any query until she did, so trying to get something from her had the advantage of pure randomness when all other avenues seemed closed. Their grandfather always claimed that the Queen had the gift of foresight, and that her decisions appeared random only because no one could see the things that she did. In that case, Isildur had said bitterly, the Queen must have seen that none of them would betray the Sceptre in the next month.

The only one in the family who seemed oblivious to the pressure exerted by the Sceptre was Isildur’s great-grandfather, Lord Númendil. While the King was in Middle Earth, he had returned to Andúnië with some pretext about needing to take care of business there, but as far as Isildur could see he mostly spent his days sitting under the mallorn trees in the garden, alone or with his sister Artanis. He had not even done anything about the granary whose ceiling had collapsed, and which would need to be filled soon after the harvest was finished. And he was always kind and courteous when Isildur tried to engage him in conversation, but there was also an odd, listless air to everything he said and did which could prove quite off-putting. To say the truth, Isildur barely knew the man: even though he was his great-grandfather, he had lived in the mainland until recently, and when he returned to Númenor it was Isildur who had left. He could not know if this was Númendil’s usual behaviour, or if there was something bothering him, and he did not feel comfortable asking such a delicate question, so he had merely left him to his own devices. Until Malik’s return, he had mostly spent his time taking care of any matter Lord Númendil might have neglected, leaving the house to take long walks around the cliffs, and swimming in the Sea whenever his inner rage became too much to bear.

Now, Malik was back at last; he had arrived in the early afternoon after taking his leave from his family that morning. From the few words that Isildur had exchanged with him then, they seemed to be doing well, and his mother had grown accustomed to her life as a widow, though she was no longer the cheerful woman that she used to be. Still, she had been overjoyed to see Malik, and at her insistence he had stayed there twice as long as he had originally intended. And came back twice as fat, Isildur had added, arching his eyebrow. Before the banter could derive into anything remotely meaningful, however, Ilmarë had claimed him, and he had not seen either of them since then.

Though they might have been under his nose all this time, and he had just been too distracted to notice, he thought, becoming aware of a sudden movement in the beach under the cliff. He was about to avert his glance, embarrassed at what he might see, but something stopped him at the last moment. It might have been his self-destructive, risk-taking warrior instincts again, twisted into the most unexpected shapes by this inaction he was forced to endure. If that was what it was, they turned out to be as accurate as they were back in Arne, for there was only one person in the beach, and as he leaned to take a better look he recognized Malik. If he had been there with Ilmarë, she must have left at some point, while he had chosen to remain. For a while, Isildur merely gazed at the small figure sitting on the sand, closer to the surf than he usually allowed himself to be, watching the waves come and go. Though he could barely see him from that distance, much less his expression, he had the feeling that something was wrong, with such an intensity that he was reminded of some weird talk he had heard from the Elves about spiritual bonds and mind speech.

Trying to put this out of his mind, Isildur began the laborious descent from the cliffside. He had missed his friend in the last weeks, and he wanted to talk to him, which was more than enough reason to go find him where he knew he would be. There were no strange forces driving him, no mysterious channel between their minds telling him that Malik needed to see him now. And if he was walking faster than what was prudent in this slippery terrain, and was about to fall a couple of times, his warrior foolishness was once again to blame.

When he reached the end of the stairs and set foot on the shore, the sunrays were already declining beyond the mysterious land which their eyes were forbidden to see. Malik had not moved from his initial position, though the tide had almost reached his feet, and soon enough it would soil his shoes, perhaps even his clothes. He had never been a great lover of water, but today he seemed impervious to its quiet menace.

“Malik”, he spoke, unsure if his presence had been registered. Though he no longer had an excuse for it, his friend remained silent.

“Malik, what is it? What happened?” he insisted, wondering if he would have to shake him to get a reaction. As he was about to walk towards him and do it, however, the other man spoke.

“Hello”, he said. The incongruity between this word and the context in which it had been uttered was so great that Isildur would have teased him mercilessly at any other moment.

“There is something wrong with you”, he said, decided to seize the initiative, since it did not look as if Malik would. “And it is either with your family or with my sister. Normally, I would not even want to know, but…” He did not really know how to finish that sentence, so he did not. “What is it?”

Now, Malik did turn towards him, and when his spoke his voice had a normal, conversational tone – so normal, in fact, that it seemed oddly out of place, like a man who spoke of the weather in the middle of a raging battlefield, or appeared before the Council swearing the way he would in a tavern.

“There is nothing wrong. Do not worry, Isildur. In fact, I think I have some good news for you, and I know you have been sorely in need of those. Ilmarë and I are no longer involved.”

What?” His reaction was totally spontaneous, the kind of shouting that did not even seem to have passed through the brain before it was already on the mouth. “What… do you mean, no longer involved?”

Malik scowled, and the pretence of normalcy was lost.

“You know very well what I mean! That you will no longer have to keep our secrets while you frown at us and disapprove, and wish we had never met because we will get you in trouble if anyone finds out that the precious granddaughter of the Lord of Andúnië is in love with a barbarian!”

“Are you mad?” Isildur could not believe his ears. He shook his head, taken aback by the unexpected virulence directed against him.  Since when was all this supposed to be his fault? “I have never frowned or… fine, you are right, maybe I was concerned about what this whole affair could mean for all of us! But what kind of hare-brained idiot would not? She is my sister, and you are my friend, and yes, if they found out I would have had to admit that I knew about you! But above all, if that happened, I was worried about what might happen to you. And for the last time, stop calling yourself a barbarian!”

“Oh, but I am.” Malik’s tone seemed to imply that even this was Isildur’s fault somehow. Perhaps he had inherited his grandfather’s guilt for bringing Ashad to Númenor, he thought in sarcasm, though his mind was racing. “My father’s blood flows through my veins, whether you wish to admit it or not. And now, he is gone, and my mother will never be whole again.”

The hostility was gone, as fast as it had come, leaving Malik strangely deflated. Upon seeing his miserable expression, Isildur, too, forgot all the outraged replies he had been building in his head. He was about to fumble with some expression of sympathy for his loss, when, all of a sudden, an idea occurred to him.

“Is this why you left her? Because you think that you will die, and she will still…?”

“I do not think it. I know it. Whether I live as a Númenórean or as a barbarian, I will be dead long before her.”

Just like Malik. He still did not care a damn for what her family, the King, the Court, or whoever else might feel entitled to judge this affair might do, but now he had decided that Ilmarë had to be protected from his death. Whatever his reasons were, Isildur had to admit that it was greatly convenient that his friend had chosen this particular moment to see reason. Ilmarë was attending the Court now, the real Court, and things were only going to become more difficult and dangerous from that moment onwards.

It was such a pity that Isildur had to choose this same particular moment to not see it.

“So, is that it? You made her think that you loved her, and then left her because you realized something that she has probably known since long ago? Do you know what, Malik? You could have been killed at least ten times in the last year alone. Unlike the Gift of Men, you could have avoided this easily, and yet you did not. Because when you see danger, you run into it!”

“That is different!”

“Why, because you are invulnerable and you can only die of old age? Who decided it was different, you? Have you even asked her what she thinks?”

Malik stared at him as if it was the first time that he saw him, and a part of Isildur had to agree with this assessment. He could not believe he was defending that Ilmarë, of all people, had enough discernment to make a choice like this. He could not believe he was encouraging this whole situation to go on. Warrior instinct was one thing, but this was not merely about risking his own life; he was pushing two people he cared deeply about to -perhaps not risk their lives, but there was still much at stake.

What was it with him?

“I thought that you of all people would understand.” Malik said. “Ilmarë told me about the Lady Moriwendë, back in Armenelos.”

Isildur winced at the memory. He had found his grandmother’s state shocking, but even then, he remembered thinking that his grandfather did not seem to take it as badly as they did. He recalled something that he had been told once, about the lords of Andúnië being forced to marry women of lesser lineages for many generations, until they were restored in the time of Tar Palantir. Back then, he had wondered if seeing one’s mother die of old age while one’s father lived on could somehow prepare them to accept what would befall them in the future. Apparently, this had not worked for Malik.

“And even if you did not understand,” his friend’s voice went on”, I thought that you would be relieved, at the very least. Do not pretend that you have been happy about this, because I know that you have not!”

“I would be relieved if she had told you to stop seeing her. But she has not, has she? She loves you, and she will keep stupidly loving you because that is what all the fools in my family have done for thousands of years!” This, too, was not among the things he had thought before uttering them. “Do you see my grandfather’s aunt Artanis? She was in love with the former King in her youth, and she has spent the rest of her life in grief, refusing to love another man! And my grandfather! My grandmother has been treating him coldly since before I was even a thought in the mind of my parents, and yet he still loves her! If my sister is unhappy for the rest of her life because of you…”

Malik looked daunted at this perspective -which had obviously not crossed his mind until now. For the first time, he seemed to waver slightly.

“That is… it is not… And what if it is not because of me? What if we are separated in the future because our relationship is deemed unacceptable and she has to marry another?”

Isildur glared at him. He had been trying to get this very thing to sink into his stubborn head for years, to no avail, and now he would dare use it against him? The nerve!

“That is something you should have considered before you became involved with her. But you did not, and now it is your responsibility”, he said, as evenly as he could manage. “This means that it is for you to find a solution, not me. And to leave her and break her heart is not a solution!”

“I do not want to leave her. And I am not trying to flee my responsibility!” Malik was just as angry as he was now. “I am just back from staying with my mother, a woman who walks as if half of her soul had been ripped away from her! And if I was not aware that you are different from us because of your Elven blood, you will have to excuse my ignorance, for I can only judge from what I know!”

As so many times before, it belatedly occurred to Isildur that perhaps there was no point in arguing. More often than not, their arguments tended to be foolish, and though this one was serious, that did not make the assessment any less valid. For no matter how deep their disagreements were, they never were about where they had to go, but about the manner in which they should get there. And in this case, as loath as both were to admit it, the end of the line, for either of them, could be no other than Ilmarë’s happiness.

And Malik’s happiness, the most charitable part of his soul added, once again taking note of his friend’s pallor, and his miserable expression.

“To break your heart is not a solution, either” he admitted, grudgingly. “Though that would be nobody’s fault but your own.”

“And what other solutions are there?” Malik let go of a bitter laugh. “The world does not rearrange itself to suit our preferences, Isildur. If it did, all three of us would be in Arne at the moment, and we would have convinced your mother to convince your father that our marriage was a good idea, your grandfather would not have opposed it, and the King would have been too busy to care. And all Men would live the same number of years above this Earth.”

“Now, that last wish sets the bar a little too high.” Isildur joked, though there was nothing farther from his mind than amusement. Even Ilmarë, as much as she may be in love with Malik, would be hard pressed to take the worst hit from this inexorable law, a terrible voice whispered in his mind, but he forced himself to discard this thought, which felt like a freefall into a dark nothingness. He had to focus in the here and now. Even if Malik could not, because he was blinded by fear and worry, he had to do it for both of them. “As for the rest, for whatever it is worth, you would have my support.”

Malik shook his head.

“You are as foolhardy as they say.”

“And you are not. Your fame has been blown out of proportion.”

“Do you really think that she would be unable to forget me? Like… the Lady Artanis?”

Isildur sighed. He had been doing his best for years not to see what was happening under his nose because he did not wish to face it, but even like this he had been aware of the truth. And then, it had taken no less than Malik’s show of idiocy to make him realize that he knew it.

“Yes.”

The silence was long after that, only broken by the rocking sound of the waves. Isildur did not know how it could have escaped them that the tide had been turning as they spoke, and that they were now almost entirely into the water. He stood up, suppressing a shiver as the cold breeze of dusk blew on his wet clothes.

“Then, I guess that, the longer our happiness lasts, the more happiness we will have in our lives”, Malik spoke after a while, in such a low voice that Isildur almost did not hear it.

Above them, the Evenstar was beginning to rise before the departing sun. As his eyes fell idly upon it, his mind wandered towards a story he had often heard as a child, of how this star was his own ancestor Eärendil, who sailed the skies with a Silmaril upon his brow. He had not had much time to enjoy the happiness in his life, either, compared to this eternity of lonely wandering. At least mortals were finite, so the balance would always be kinder.

“Precisely”, he nodded.

 

Interlude XI: Secrets

Read Interlude XI: Secrets

 

Valandil had been lying on that same bed when it happened. Of course, he had not been alone, even though his last years had been spent in increasing isolation from his kin and people. No matter how bitter his soul had grown after long decades of imprisonment, how rigid and harsh towards those who surrounded him, expecting them to bend without giving back an inch because he had already given enough, bent enough for the lifespan of several descendants of Elros in the noontide of their lineage, he would still not depart without bidding farewell to those who had loved him. He had even suffered his children to hold his hands in a tight grip, as if they could expect to hold back his spirit somehow, though they knew that the greatest strength in the world could not avail them in this. He had listened to them, finally listened after years of watching their words fly past the frown in his countenance and into the emptiness of the air. And he had told them that he was proud of them, of how they had borne persecution and hardship without complaint for the sake of their holiest beliefs.

Númendil still remembered the moment when the grey eyes had looked up, towards the invisible circles of the highest Heaven. They had gazed there in silence for a while, and to this day Númendil was certain that he had felt something, an invisible presence fluttering around the room just as they glazed over. It had hovered over him, then departed, and with it a strange feeling of coldness had come upon him, as in a house in winter where the fire had suddenly flickered out.

He looked up, and his eyes became fixed upon the expanse of blue sky visible from the window. How would it be like, to be able to see something beyond that after a lifetime of blindness? Some, among whom his family had traditionally been included, imagined it as freedom from the narrow walls of a cruel confinement, but to many others it was like allowing oneself to fall down the abyss of the unknown. That was why they would never throw themselves into it of their own free will, but waited until they were inexorably pushed into it.

To see it as freedom, however, held dangers of its own. To become free, one must escape, and not all escapes were honourable. Every man, and every woman, had been sent to the world to fulfil a purpose, and when that purpose became too much for them to bear, fear of death was the only thing that kept them tied to their duty. Númendil did not fear death; he did not fear to look up and leave his body behind like he would discard an ill-suiting garment on the surface of the bed. He had never feared it, but the awareness of his duty and the ties that bound him to his family and allies had been enough to banish it from his mind. Now, for the first time in his existence, he was not so certain anymore.

You have suffered so much already, the voice he had been trying to silence for days whispered insidiously in his mind. Imprisoned for seventy years, your child torn away from you, your wife wasting away under your eyes while she waited for a freedom that never came. And you have lived alone since then, trying to help all those whose souls had been warped by the same events which should have warped yours, and yet none of them ever asked how you were coping. Only the Elves had offered him some measure of healing, but their world was now banned to him as well, as remote as Valinor was for all mortals. And he had not complained, but soldiered on, while his son, the son of his son and the grandchildren of his son faced their own demons and hardships. He had been summoned, interrogated, probed for information, explored in the deepest recesses of his mind by the black eyes which disturbed him most in the world. None of it had broken him, and yet the moment that Amandil had returned to Númenor and threatened to fix his own gaze, shattered with confusion and worry, on his, he had finally balked and fled.

Surely it was not this unheard of. He was fast approaching the age at which Tar Palantir had died, and though the Lords of Andúnië enjoyed a longer lifespan, not all of them had made use of this gift. He remembered his grandfather Eärendur, how he had chosen to pass beyond the Circles of the World when Ar Gimilzôr’s men came for him. And Eärendur’s niece, the ill-fated Inzilbêth -she had been unable to silence the voice that whispered in her own mind for long, as the bleakness of her existence made it too hard to withstand its lure. He had held out this long, much longer than either of them, enough for his life to reach the point where the mightiest among the kings of Númenor would be old and doting. Who could blame him for wanting to leave now, and bury his secret with him? When a man’s main duty became to remain silent, to avoid warning those he loved of the thing that would destroy them all, couldn’t that duty be best performed from the grave?

Númendil had never in his life surrendered to the temptation of being selfish. And yet, now that he had opened his soul to it for the first time, he was amazed at how terrifyingly easy it was. He suddenly had a greater, more poignant understanding of things he had always found difficult to explain in the past, of choices and actions he had not been able to accept. Even she seemed to be within the grasp of this new understanding, for once that the door was opened to an act of selfishness, why wouldn’t it grow and escape the narrow confines of one particular instance, until it became a many-headed monster that devoured everything and everyone? She could have been Emeldir, who spent her life of imprisonment praying to be delivered and see her son again, but never blaming Eru in heaven for refusing to listen to her, not even when she was on her deathbed. But she had chosen otherwise: freedom over imprisonment, passion over emptiness, the happiness she could grasp with her hands over the distant horizon of the future. Herself, over others.

Númendil could not be like this. Paradoxically enough, to know how easy it was, how understandable, made him fight harder than ever against it. He would remain where he was, though his presence would make little difference in the final scheme of things. He would not let that door open.

And yet, he also knew that facing Amandil again would still take him a very long time. For it required a much different kind of courage, one he could not yet trust to remain with him in the hardest moments, when he saw his son suspect, worry, reach in the dark for the core of the problem until he was almost able to touch it with the tip of his fingers. When he saw him ready to do anything, to risk everything, to face it head on and save the Island.

If someone like Ar Pharazôn learned about the One Ring, where Sauron had poured his own essence to build the most formidable weapon ever made, it would inevitably lead to disaster. The King wanted power; his ambitions were great, and not yet sated by his possession of the Sceptre and his defeat of the Enemy in his dark land of Mordor. Even while he celebrated his victory, he was already thinking of ways to profit from the power vacuum created in the lands which had been subject to Sauron to impose his own rule. He would consider the Ring to be his by right of conquest, and take it away from Sauron, so if he was not corrupted by him who wore it, he would be corrupted by it, a choice which did not leave much room for hope. And yet, that was not even the harshest truth to assimilate. The bitterest of all was the knowledge that, in the end, it did not matter who took it: a power-hungry man, or another whose sole ambition was to save Númenor and prevent the shadow from engulfing them all. Because, once they had the Ring, it would make no difference.

I am sorry, Amandil. Númendil did not know whether his lips had moved, or the words had only been uttered in his mind. It was all the same: his son would never be able to forgive him, because Númendil would never be allowed to seek his forgiveness. He would remain silent for as long as he lived, and, once that he was gone, he would take all knowledge of this with him beyond the circles of the world. And only there, if Eru was as merciful as the ancient Númenóreans believed Him to be, he would be able to forget.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“No.”

Zimraphel leaned on the side of the bed, her eyes lost among the thousands of stars gyrating in the night sky. She could perceive his agitation, and deep underneath it a sliver of fear, pulsating like an infected wound.

“Very well. Then let us think of a different solution. If other families can adopt their heirs, so can we.”

Pharazôn shook his head, his tension subsiding a little, but not enough.

“We are not the other families.”

“You could also have an heir yourself”, she continued, still aware of every shift in his emotions. “Only not with me.”

“That would never be acceptable, and you know it.”

“The people would not have to know.” Her lips curved in a crooked smile which did not reach her eyes. “There are women of the line of Indilzar who would have no other choice but to carry our child.”

He knew of whom she was speaking, and a part of him was considering it even as the other revolted against the idea. The line of Forostar was extinct only in the male line, and not all of Hiram’s daughters had been married at the time. After the downfall of their house, those who were not had been forced to face the reality that they never would -but they still could bear children.

In the end, distaste won over utility, and he shook his head.

“No.”

“We do not have children. In the end, no matter what you think of these options, you will have to make a choice.”

“There is still time.” Now, his forehead was curved in a familiar, stubborn expression. “We have many years ahead of us.”

“Not for this” she hissed. Suddenly, she rolled on the bed until she was lying on her back, and, taking his hand in hers, she laid it over her stomach. “Can you feel it?”

“Feel what?” he asked, the tension rising again. She swallowed, waiting for a few seconds before she finally answered.

“The child.” His eyes widened, but she spoke again before he had the chance to. “Dying.”

“What… Zimraphel, what child?” he asked. All of a sudden, his emotions seemed to be scattered all over the place, and he was trying to chase after each of them only to be distracted by the others. “What is the meaning of this?”

“I have been pregnant. Many times”, she confessed. “Even before we were married, even while I was still with Vorondil… not because of him, I would never have let the likes of him impregnate me. But each and every one of the children we made died in my womb before the third month, and so will this one.”

Now, she was almost sorry to see his look of devastation. His fingers roamed over her skin as if they somehow could touch the small, doomed life pulsating underneath it.

“I did not know… you should have told…. is that what you meant back then, when you said that if you had kept something from me, it was not with evil intent?”

She cradled his hand in her smaller, colder ones.

“There was nothing you could do about it. There was nothing I, or anyone else, could do at the time, so why let you suffer needlessly?” He tensed, as if he wanted to give an angry retort, then deflated, as if realizing there was no point in that particular line of attack.

“How many?”

“This is the sixth.”

“By the King of Armenelos! Are you sure there is no way on this Earth to save it?”

“There could be.” She sat up, and her eyes narrowed to pierce his like the sharp edge of a blade. “It could be brought to term, and then we would have a child, you and I. But that will only happen if we put our trust in him.”

“What? No.” He shook his head nervously. “Never. I said that was out of the question, and I mean it.”

Zimraphel did not even blink.

“Then” she shrugged, “the line of the kings of Númenor will die with you and me.”

“That remains to be seen”, he retorted, as fearless and defiant as he had always shown himself before the world. And yet this fearlessness was a lie, and his defiance was empty. Empty, and as pointless as all the promises and oaths of mortals who tried to control Fate, without realizing that it was Fate who controlled them.

“You should know that I do not have much time left”, she warned. “We are not gods yet, Pharazôn. Once that the last chance has slipped from our grasp, not even the full might of the Sceptre that we hold will be enough to recover it.”

Ar Pharazôn was not a fool. He was a warrior, hot-headed and proud, but he was also intelligent, the only man who would have held out his hand to his vision-ridden mad cousin, not merely because he was infatuated with her beauty, but because he knew that he needed her by his side. And though he stood up now, glaring at her as if she had said something beyond outrageous, deep inside his heart he knew that she was right.

“Stay in bed. Do not move. I will… I will tell the Court and the Council that you are not feeling well. The best healers will examine you, and perhaps they will find something that you have overlooked.”

“They will not”, she shrugged. “Only one can ever find what you seek, and you know who it is.”

“For the last time, I will not let that fiend near you even if I have to search all the brothels in Umbar to find an heir for the Sceptre!”

He had no male children alive left, but she did not tell him this. Both knew it was an empty promise, yet another one among many, for if there was one thing that even this abased Númenor would not tolerate, it was a barbarian ruling in Armenelos. In any case, it did not matter, because he would never have the chance to try.

“As you wish”, she said, a brief, mocking smile crossing her features as she turned her back to him, and pretended to be looking for a comfortable position to sleep.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He was lying on the floor, gazing at the ceiling as if there was something interesting written in its ancient stones. At first he gave no sign of being aware of his presence, though no noises could be heard in this dark underground vault aside from his footsteps as he came in. And still, just as Pharazôn was going to utter the first word, he spoke.

“Yes, the Queen is right. I can do it.”

His charming voice had not suffered any deterioration since he was imprisoned, though any mortal would have been speaking in hoarse and raspy tones by now. This added to the general aura of unnaturalness surrounding him, forcing Pharazôn to swallow an uneasy feeling which, in turn, increased his anger at the words.

“I was not going to ask you that, you disgusting creature!”

Sauron rose to a sitting position. He looked like the very first day they had met, after he rode past the Black Gate of his realm.

“Then why are you here, King of Númenor?”

Pharazôn found himself at a loss as to what to say to this. To say the truth, he was there on an impulse, fuelled by his argument with Zimraphel, but that was the last thing that he wished to admit now. And, at the same time, he was aware that it did not matter if he admitted it or not, because Sauron knew.

As he was about to turn away and leave this wretched place, cursing the moment that this ludicrous idea had first entered his mind, the voice made him freeze in his tracks again.

“You were brave enough to defeat me, but not to take advantage of your victory. I am here now, and all my knowledge could be at your service to help you achieve anything that you wanted. And yet, you still hesitate. Since when is the Golden King afraid to use the means that Fate has put at his disposition?”

Was he trying to goad him? Did he think mortals were that gullible, so far beneath him, that all he needed to do was dare them to throw themselves down a cliff and they would do it?

“I do not need you to achieve what I want. And you are not in Númenor so I can take advantage of your presence, but of your absence.”

“And you will take it. You will build a great empire, all by yourself. But then, King of Númenor, once that you are taken by the Doom of Men, who will inherit it?”

He struggled not to show evidence of how much this question upset his resolve. He could not show his weakness; if there was something Amandil had not been mistaken about, it was that, defeated or not, his enemy remained his enemy.

“That is none of your concern.”

“The Queen is pregnant. She will lose this baby, as she lost all the others. After that, there will only be one more chance.”

Perhaps if his head was severed from his body, and buried deep enough, he would be able to stop listening to his words. Almost at the same time as he had this thought, however, Pharazôn marvelled at his own obfuscation. What was he thinking? All he needed to do was leave this place and never return, and Sauron would not be able to follow him. He only had to throw away the key, forget that he was there, and not engage him further in dangerous conversation. This was as true now as it had been before, when his feet had carried him here, but somehow he had failed to see what a clear mind would have seen at once.

This worried him deeply.

“There are several ways to make a man immortal. One of them is through his offspring. But he can also become immortal himself, and I could help you with both.”

Lies. They were all lies. Zimraphel might be scared enough of her visions to put her trust in him, but he had to be there to keep a cool head for both of them. And he had not done a very good job of it so far.

“You are just desperate to be let out of here. I never thought I would see such an ancient and powerful spirit brought so low as to act like this”, he spat. If a mortal could become immortal, he would not be the first man in thousands of years of history who had been presented with this possibility.

“You are not the first. Your ancestor Eärendil, father of Ar Indilzar, became immortal, and he still lives. If you do not believe me, ask those who call themselves the Faithful. They know many things about Númenor’s past, and have preserved many records, though they twist them to suit their own purposes.”

Pharazôn swallowed; his throat was surprisingly dry.

“I suppose that you, on the other hand, should be relied upon to tell me of the events from the past exactly as they happened. Like, for example, how you betrayed everyone you had ever served or befriended to suit your own purposes.”

Sauron sighed, a very soft but surprisingly human sound.

“If they have your ear, King of Númenor, there is nothing I can do.”

How dare he? Pharazôn bristled, only belatedly aware that he was letting himself be involved again in an argument that prevented him from leaving this place. The creature’s words were acting like invisible, insidious chains which kept him rooted to the spot in spite of his better knowledge.

This had to end. Now. Paranoid thoughts agitated his mind: if he did not leave at this very moment, perhaps he never would.

“No one has my ear. And least of all, you”, he hissed, forcing his feet to finally obey him and walk away from the shadows of the chamber.

As he was back under the light of the sun, the warmth and brightness of the world of the living seemed to clear his mind, as if he had awoken from a dream. He was letting go of a sigh of relief when, suddenly, his blood froze anew. Such a feeling brought him back to his childhood, when he had nightmares and the relief of waking up in his own room had foundered abruptly as he remembered the details of his dream and wondered, for a split second, if it could have been real.

There are several ways to make a man immortal.

Swept away by an urge to do something, Ar Pharazôn gave orders for Lord Númendil to be immediately brought to his presence. As soon as he had done so, however, he changed his mind, so he sent a second messenger to find the man he had dispatched for the Andúnië mansion and intercept him. He did not want to see Númendil again, to hear his unvoiced recriminations, or to perceive his silent, condescending concern for the temptations that he, as a mortal, would never be able to withstand. And above all, he did not want Amandil to know that he had spoken with Sauron, that he was pondering those things, and seeking information about something which that lying creature had told him. He imagined the expression in his features as he reached the conclusion that he had been right all along, and Pharazôn had been wrong. In his mind’s eye, he saw the lord of Andúnië successively looking smug and worried; both images were equally unbearable to him.

No, he thought, his face growing red. Amandil would never know about this. And Pharazôn would never step inside that place again, even if Zimraphel should give birth to six other dead children.

There will only be one more chance.

“Then so be it”, he said to himself, feeling the urge to hear the words aloud, so they could acquire the steel armour of finality that suddenly seemed more necessary than ever. A courtier, less proficient than the others in the refined art of masking their reactions, blinked at him; two others looked away. He ignored them.

That night, however, the King could not manage to fall asleep. And when a month later, to the great consternation of the Court and the people of Númenor, Ar Zimraphel miscarried despite the combined efforts of healers and priests, he felt as if a hand had squeezed his heart with cold and invisible fingers.

Visions

Read Visions

“My son. I… I need to see my son. I have to… no!

“Shhh.” He wiped the sweat from her forehead, tracing a slow curve with his hand. “You need to rest.”

Her eyes had flown wide open, and Amandil was almost tempted to look back, for in her current state of agitation it seemed as if she had seen something behind him. But if she had, it was invisible to him, and he refused to continue this thread of thought in fear of where it may lead. For thousands of years, the imagination of mortals had fashioned ghosts and monsters of all shapes and kinds, who crept on them in their most vulnerable moments, trying to steal their souls and bury them in darkness. They were the fruit of obfuscation, of the irrational terror that the Dark Enemy of the World had once sown in their hearts after they awoke beneath the Shadow, and if sometimes they appeared to have an entity of their own, it was because they fed on their deepest fears.

Amandil did not need terrors of this kind. What he could see with his own eyes was enough: the woman he had always loved, lying on her bed as if the slightest movement could break the invisible links that pulled her bones and sinews together, just like his mother in that moonlit villa near Rómenna.

Slowly, Amalket’s eyes began to droop as she fell asleep again. Her spells of consciousness did not last long, and it was unusual for her to be awake for more than a half hour. Still, it seemed to be becoming harder for her to stay asleep as well, for after a while she would always be jerked awake as if by an inexorable force, perhaps some kind of physical pain that they had been unable to locate, or perhaps dreams. Once that she did, someone had to be there for her, to take the place of the son she invariably sought until her anxiety faded into bitter disappointment. Sometimes, it would be one of her grandchildren, but usually it was Amandil, who had not left the Andúnië mansion of Armenelos for the last three days. His father had volunteered his help too, but he did not wish to leave Númendil alone with what he was bound to see as a repetition of one of his worst nightmares. He seemed to have recovered from the strange mood which had come upon him after the King returned from Mordor, but Amandil did not want him exposed to anything that could upset him again. If it depended on him, his father would be in Andúnië instead of here, forced to share in his own gloom and their family’s bleak political struggles.

“No one has forced me to share in anything I did not wish to share”, Númendil spoke from the door, his voice a mere whisper which still managed to carry across the room as clearly as the ringing shout of a herald. “And, though I am moved by your concern for my feelings, perhaps you should consider that having gone through this means that I could help you.”

They had had this argument -if one could speak of arguments wherever Númendil was concerned – so many times that Amandil had lost count.

“I do not need help”, he muttered crossly. “And there is no need for you to be here. You are not the person she wants to see.” And neither am I, he thought, wondering why he still bothered to leave things unsaid in their conversations.

“I was not the person Emeldir wanted to see, either.” Númendil’s soft footsteps approached him, and he sat by his side. “But that was not because she did not love me. She knew I would be with her no matter what happened, and that I would never leave her side, so all her thoughts were bent upon the one who was not there.”

Amandil swallowed with difficulty. There was something terrible about those memories, but he had always thought that it lay on the parallels to the situation at hand. When his father put it like this, however, he realized that the true pain lay in the difference.

“But I arrived, didn’t I? She saw me. Her hope was not in vain.” And she had smiled, a smile so devastating for him that it had even blinded him to the possibility that she could have died happily. “Elendil will never come. She will never see him.”

It took him all his strength to keep his voice firm until the end. Númendil laid a hand upon his shoulder in a comforting gesture.

“Halideyid”, she mumbled in dreams, as if she had heard him speak his name. Maybe she had. “Halideyid.”

“I cannot bear this anymore.” Pushing his father’s hand away, Amandil stood on his feet, and began pacing restlessly around the room. “There must be something I can do.”

“Your son cannot leave Arne. Even if he did, he would not arrive in time.” The words were not meant to hurt, but they still did. Anger filled his chest, and it did not take Amandil long to find a target.

“So much suffering, caused by the petty whims of kings! Mother and I were separated by false accusations, and now my own son is away because the mighty Golden General decided that he had to keep him as far from me as possible! Curse him!”

“The King did not force your son to go to the mainland. Elendil sensed that his fate lay there, and he followed his own heart.”

“Oh, are you defending him now? Do you think his spies are here, in this room?” It was so gloriously satisfying to vent all his frustrations. “Well, if they are, they can tell him to go to hell from me, Amandil of Andúnië!”

The speech ended in a raised voice, and as soon as he heard it reverberate across the room he realized his mistake. Paling, he approached the bedstead, where his worst fears were confirmed: Amalket was stirring again, her eyes wide in fright, not at some invisible ghost but at his own shameful display. He fell to his knees and laid his hands on her shoulders, trying to comfort her as he could.

“I am sorry. Amalket, I am so sorry. I did not mean to wake you. Please, go back to sleep.”

Númendil stood up. His countenance held no traces of judgement, but he still seemed to have deduced that to engage Amandil in conversation was not a good idea at the moment. Too busy with his attempts to calm Amalket’s anxiety, Amandil did not even bide him farewell, or saw him leave the room.

At long last, she seemed to grow aware of her surroundings, and her body grew still in his arms.

“Water” she asked in a raspy voice. He grabbed the cup from the bedstead, pressing it against her parched lips until she began swallowing carefully.

Númendil was right. This was no one’s fault, except their Creator’s. And since they could not be angry with Him, they wildly sought other targets, as if this could somehow make their feelings more acceptable. This was as true for all the Númenóreans who hated the Elves as it was for him at this moment. Even those who hated the Faithful could trace their anger back to this source, for what had the Faithful originally been but friends and collaborators of the Elves, who through this proximity got to share in their blame for being invulnerable to the bane brought upon mortals? They even lived longer because the Elves had rewarded them with a part of their blessing, they said, no matter that Amandil would never have asked for such a thing for himself if he had been presented with a thousand chances to do so.

They were not blessed, but cursed, he thought. And then, the blasphemous idea slowly crept into his mind: if everyone dared lay the blame where it belonged, perhaps they would be living in a more peaceful world. For Eru was beyond them, and He could never be hurt or affected by their recriminations. Those other targets, however, could suffer and bleed, and sometimes they did.

As he grew aware of the strange direction of his musings, Amandil discarded them in shame. That was why he had never been a thinker, he reminded himself. Since he was a child in the Temple of Melkor, he had been careful not to let his wild, confused thoughts lead him to places that invariably brought more pain and strife to his mind. Perhaps Lord Valandil and Lord Hiram had been right about one thing: for someone whose childhood had been marked by contradictions of such magnitude, there was no way back into the fold -into any fold.

“Do you think he will be coming tomorrow?” Amalket asked hopefully. He took a deep breath.

“Perhaps.” Always lying, always, until the very end. “But you must be patient. The journey from the mainland is long.”

While he spoke, he heard footsteps behind him again. Surprised, he turned towards their source; he had not expected Númendil to be back so soon.

“I thought…” he began, then fell silent as he realized that his father was holding something in his hand. It was a dark, round stone, one of the Palantíri.

“No”, he said. From the bed, Amalket was straining her gaze to look in the same direction as him, probably to make sure that the newcomer was still not her son. “That cannot be done, Father. Do you think I have never thought of it?” She lost interest, and her eyes slowly grew unfocused again. “Amalket never had the ability to use it when she was healthy and strong. Now, even the slightest attempt might kill her.”

Númendil sat on the chair, unperturbed.

“There is a way. Someone who used the Stone could transmit their thoughts to her.”

“Only the Elves…” Words came sometimes to his mouth faster than thoughts, but as the second thread managed to catch up with the first, his voice died in his throat. “You… can do that?”

“Yes.” There was no trace of pride in his father’s countenance, though in his life Amandil had known of many who would believe they had the right to be worshipped for much less.

Feeling that there was nothing else he should say, and that any attempt to squeeze words out of his chest now would either end in failure or meaninglessness, he sat back on his own chair, still holding Amalket’s hand. This time, her sleep seemed to last longer, and though it might have been his imagination playing tricks on him, it also looked more peaceful.

Meanwhile, Númendil’s eyes remained fixed on the dark surface of the stone. He did not move, nor did he grimace or writhe as Amandil did whenever he tried to focus his thoughts on it, but there was no doubt that he was using it. Fascinated, the lord of Andúnië stared openly at his father’s endeavours. He did not need to be alone, not even to sit in the dark to free his mind from all the distractions which always gripped Amandil’s attention, even as he forced himself not to think of them.

At some point, the grey eyes snapped shut. Then, after what looked like an eternity, they flew open again. Just as Amandil was pondering whether it would be harmful to speak, cold fingers grabbed his free hand, and before he recovered from the surprise, a torrent of anguished thoughts broke into his mind.

I am sorry. I am so sorry. I promised her I would be back, and she believed me. I lied to her, Father, and no matter how many years I live, I will never find forgiveness.

Somehow, it was much easier this way than it was when he was facing the Stone himself. All he had to do was to let his own thoughts flow, and Númendil would send them quickly and painlessly across the wide expanses of the world.

It is not your fault, Elendil. Do not blame yourself for it. The hand in his stirred, and he realized that Amalket was about to wake again. He swallowed. Now, you must do a great effort to suppress your grief, because she will be able to notice if you do not. And if she perceives that her beloved son is unhappy, she will be devastated.

Do not worry. He was not even sure anymore if Númendil’s voice was coming through his ears or through his mind. I cannot make emotions disappear, but I can ease them in the transmission.

Taken by a renewed feeling of wonder at his father’s easy command of those impossibly complex processes, Amandil moved Amalket’s hand, then gently disentangled his own until he managed to leave it in Númendil’s grasp. He held his breath, afraid that something would go wrong in spite of all. His heart beating hard against his chest, he studied every wrinkle of her countenance with apprehension, waiting for any sign of change, and yet dreading it at the same time.

When the change came, it was in the shape of a warm and blissful smile, the first he had seen in her features since so long ago he could not even remember. Tears of joy welled in her eyes, then trickled down her cheeks as she looked behind him, at something that nobody but her was able to see. But this time, he knew it was no evil ghost.

“Do not… do not worry for me, Halideyid. I am fine. I-it is just a little illness. I will be up in no time”, she mumbled hoarsely. “I- I was just… I thought…. I feared that I would not see you again. But I was being silly, and I see it now. I love you, my son. I love you.”

As her head fell back on the pillow and her hand grew limp in his grip, a single tear fell down Númendil’s pale cheek.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“How did this happen?”

Zimraphel sat back, watching him walk in circles around the room with a calm that he found infuriating. It was almost as if she was mocking him.

“You should know the answer to that question.”

“As a matter of fact, I am not sure I do.” It had been two years since he had begun struggling with this nightmare, and he had not allowed himself to forego caution for a moment. First, he had spent over a year trying to control his urges; when he realized the impossibility of keeping that strategy for an indefinite amount of time, he had availed himself of every means at his disposition to prevent her from getting pregnant. They should not have failed, they almost never failed, and yet, this time, they had.

“There are things for this, you know. Things to prevent a woman from conceiving. And they usually work.”

The memories of the distant past had come only to mock him. To remind him that, after so many years, the young man who thought that his friend was an idiot who could not even manage to stick his cock anywhere without making a mess of things was in fact the greatest idiot of the two.

“Who cares why it happened? It happened.” he had shrugged back then, angering Amandil even further. Still, as dismissive as he might have been out of sheer ignorance, at least he had been there to help with the outcome. No one was there to help him now.

No one, but the one whose help he could never accept.

As if she had been reading his thoughts -which she probably had-, she shrugged.

“You cannot dismiss his foresight, as you cannot dismiss mine. No matter how hard you tried to fight Fate, you could never have hoped to hold it back indefinitely. This child was destined to be conceived, and your choice cannot be postponed any longer.”

He paused in his tracks, shaken by her choice of words.

“What do you mean? Have you foreseen that it will be our last chance, too?”

She sighed, as if she did not want to have to tell him this.

“Yes.”

Pharazôn tried to ignore the cold spreading through his chest.

“And why is this? Is it because of age?”

“Perhaps”, she answered, suddenly evasive.

“What do you mean, perhaps?” Now, he was walking straight towards her, grabbing her face with his hands, forcing her to look up. “What else have you seen?”

“Leave me alone”, she hissed, struggling to break free. “I do not want to answer now.”

He did not let go.

“Tell me.”

“Do you love me?”

Her sudden changes of mood had been familiar territory for him since they became involved. Without letting go, he nodded.

“Of course I love you.”

“Then avail yourself of his help.”

Pharazôn frowned. Why wouldn’t she tell?

“It is you that I love, not the unborn child. And I will not ask Sauron for help with something you have already lived through many times. If we have to remain childless, so be it. We still have many years to find a solution for the succession problem.” And if you have something to say, say it now.

“Do you remember the first time that we met, after you sneaked into the gardens of the West Wing? You asked me for my name, and I said that I had two. My father called me Míriel, but I hated it.”

Pharazôn had memories of that day -how could he not-, but not of that conversation. In a moment such as this, he did not see the reason why he should remember something a child had said to another so long ago. But he also knew that, despite her reputation, she did not bring things up without a reason.

“And?”

“You said that it sounded like a cat’s name, or something Elvish. I said that it was an Elven name, the name of a woman…”

“… who wanted to die”, he finally recalled. She nodded, her expression grim.

“This child will not die in the third month”, she whispered, in a voice that was almost impossible to hear, in spite of their closeness. “It will take root in my womb, and grow bigger and stronger than all its brothers and sisters. But in the end, it will still not be enough. Nothing could be enough.” Her eyes were hollow and empty now, and instinctively, he stepped back. “The birth will be long and painful, and at the end of it the child will die, taking me with it. I will wither and weaken, like Míriel, longing for a death that will end my suffering. Now you see why I hated my father for giving me that name, and why I abhorred the very sound of its twisted mockery. I was to be a failed Míriel, a woman who poured her life force into nothing”. All of a sudden, her lips curved into a smile, warm and stirring, and it felt as if life had trickled back into her features. “But I know that this will not happen, because you are here, and you will save me. Us. I know that you will.”

In his life, Pharazôn had faced Orcs, Men, wraiths, even spirits of darkness from before the creation of the world. But at this point, he could not prevent himself from turning away from those black eyes, and leaving the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“So.” He was sitting in the damp darkness as easily as the first day, as if it was the environment of his choice, and perhaps it was. “You need me to help the Queen.”

“No.” Pharazôn crossed his arms over his chest. “I need you to tell me what to do.”

Sauron’s features remained carefully neutral, but he could almost imagine the creature’s evil amusement at his pitiful attempts to deny his surrender. For this was nothing but surrender, pure and simple. He had held out for months, until it could not be denied anymore that Zimraphel’s pregnancy had surpassed the stages of all the previous ones. At the beginning, the idea of abortion had hovered in and out of his mind, but it, too, had been defeated by Zimraphel’s mesmerizing notions about Fate. For this twisted rationality, which had gradually insinuated itself into his mind, the only absolution for their sin would be to believe in this fate, but to believe in it he needed to see it with his own eyes. And with the passing of time, even this last resort had become just as dangerous as the rest of the options.

Pharazôn remembered the days when he used to flee her presence, terrified of the incest he was tempted to commit. If that young man had known back then where those sweeping impulses would take him, he might have fled so far that no one in Númenor would have seen him again.

That young man was lost, Zimraphel would say to him. He did not know of his own greatness, of what he would be able to do if he allowed himself to soar free.

Pharazôn had soared indeed, but against what he had once expected, he had found his freedom dwindling the higher that he flew. In the end, everything he had done had been the fulfilment of some prophecy, and if she was right, it had been leading him directly to this single choice.

“That is a remarkably narrow view of things. A typically mortal view”, Sauron remarked. “What I can give you is the ability and the power to choose in each and every situation that may present itself in the future. The choice will always remain yours. And is that not the greatest of all freedoms, to be always in control of one’s fate?”

“A bold claim, for someone who was unable to remain in control of his own fate.”

It might have been his imagination, but it seemed to him as if Sauron looked a little less smug at this.

“You are the King of Men now”, he said, his eyes gleaming with an undecipherable expression. “You could be greater than I was in my highest days. You could even be immortal, as I am.”

“Quiet!” He was not in the mood for fantastical promises. “I do not want to be like you in any way. And I am not here to debate, I am here so you can tell me how I may help the Queen.” The harder you try to have it look like the opposite of a surrender, the more you make it appear so, a voice that suspiciously reminded him of Amandil whispered in the back of his head. “Try to deceive me, and we will see just how hard it is to separate your spirit from that body that you wear.”

An empty threat, but if it makes you feel better, so be it. At first, this voice sounded like Amandil again, but then it became the voice of Sauron, who was facing him in silence, and he froze. He blinked several times, trying to clear his mind.

“I know of your worship of the Great God, whom you call by many titles. Too many mortal superstitions have been added to it through the centuries, but they have not been able to obscure a main core of truth”, the prisoner spoke after a while. For the first time in the conversation, Pharazôn snorted.

“What? Are you going to sputter that nonsense at me, too? And I thought I had enough with the clergy and the so-called Faithful arguing theology at each other, calling anything that does not fit their own view a superstition, and the rest the truth!”

Sauron frowned.

“Unlike them, I have been alive for long enough to remember.”

“So their Elves claim, too.” Pharazôn shrugged in irritation. “But having seen is not necessarily the same as reporting faithfully, as my ancestor Ar Adunakhôr already knew long ago. And I still fail to see what this has to do with the Queen’s situation.”

“If you keep interrupting me, you will never know.”

Now, that was a little too much insolence from someone who was imprisoned in a cell. But Pharazôn needed to start fighting the temptation to engage it, or it would be harder and harder to remain as detached as he needed to be.

“Go on.”

“There is a pillar of your faith which you commemorate every year in a variety of different occasions. It has been reduced to a symbolic gesture, with no more power than any other symbol, which is the strength of the belief of those who worship it. And yet, the reason why it is so deeply ingrained in your collective memories is because, once upon a time, that power was real.”

“And you are referring to…”

“I am referring to the sacrifice.”

“Oh.” Pharazôn considered this. “You mean that burning bulls at the flaming altar could give us victory in truth, and not merely give heart to the soldiers? That, if we performed the rites properly, we could not lose, regardless of the strength of our arms?””

Sauron raised his eyes from the spot on the floor where they had become temporarily lost.

“Yes, and no. That sacrifice is nothing but a symbol, though the role played by conviction in deciding the outcome of battles cannot be underestimated. I made the mistake of underestimating it once, and lost my best armies to the strongest-willed general I had encountered for an Age.”

Pharazôn could not be less interested in a flattering digression.

“So, what would it take for a sacrifice to be more than a symbol?”

Their eyes met, and for an instant, he felt the unseemly temptation to avert his. Luckily, he managed to withstand it.

“It would need to be real. A real sacrifice.”

For this is the original meaning of this sacrifice, of all the sacrifices performed here and the sacrifices that you perform yourselves, in your homes and hearths. The voice of High Priest Yehimelkor echoed loud and vibrant in his memories of the yearly temple celebrations. It is a pale reflection of the original sacrifice, the Lord’s sacrifice.

“You mean that I would need to kill myself?” It sounded ludicrous, even as an academic possibility. “But then I would never have more than one choice, would I?”

“Not necessarily. The meaning of sacrifice is to give away something which is worth as much as what you want. Indeed, you could die for another; that would be the most powerful sacrifice of all. But the King of Men has plenty of other… things to give away.”

Now, the conversation was veering into disturbing territory. Sauron’s choice of words was careful, but what could be guessed behind them made a shiver travel through his spine.

“What things?”

“Some of the barbarians in the mainland know. That woman of Harad who died in the desert, she knew, did she not?”

“How do you know about that?”

My death wish will be that every battle you fight ends in victory, and that you will take the Sceptre and become the king of your people, alongside the woman you love, she had said in her letter, that first and last letter which he still remembered by heart. My people believe that death wishes are always answered; there was once a man from my tribe who had his whole family killed so the power of their death wishes would make him king. But you are too civilized to understand this, too.

“Because you are thinking of her, and I cannot prevent myself from… hearing your strongest thoughts.” Pharazôn glared at him, but his mind was too much in turmoil to decide upon an appropriate retort. “Forget the barbarians, King of Númenor. Your own ancestors knew about this. Do you remember the old lore about the foundation of Númenor? And of Gadir? In both instances, someone had to die. And what do you do after you achieve a great victory? You bring the enemy leaders all the way to the Island to slaughter them in a public ceremony.”

“I wish I could have done that with you.” Pharazôn stared at him, disgusted.

“It does not have to be the death of a person”, Sauron continued, as if he had not even heard him. “Or even an animal. It is about worth, and some things can be more valuable than many people.”

“Speaking of worth, is this conversation worth the waste of my time? Let us give it one more chance, and go straight to the point.” The King of Númenor surrendered to the brief temptation of pacing around; when he stopped, he was standing farther apart from the fiend than he had been before. “What would I have to give away for the Queen to be safely delivered of my child?”

Sauron did not even pretend to hesitate.

“That question has an easy answer. If you wish to be given a new chance at building a lineage, it is only fitting that you sacrifice the Tree which has protected it in the past.”

“The White Tree?” Pharazôn did not know if he was more or less disturbed at this than at the idea of human sacrifice. On the one hand, the tree was but an ancient, glorified piece of wood, and before Tar Palantir no one had even spared it a second glance. Burning it was not like killing people in the altar of a temple as if they were cattle.

On the other hand, the reference to the prophecy attached to this tree acted like a wakeup call, and for the first time Pharazôn saw clearly what he was doing. He was standing here, doing what Amandil had warned him against: listening to the advice of an immortal being who wanted nothing more than to obliterate him and the lineage of the Númenórean kings, whom he was not strong enough as to defeat by force. Today, he would make him destroy what people perceived as a symbol of his power, and even in this very conversation, Sauron had shown himself to be aware of the importance of symbols. Tomorrow, he would try to warp his will into even more abhorrent directions.

“If I could warp your will, do you think I would not have done so already, King of Númenor? When will you stop thinking so little of yourself? You defeated me, and no one so weak and unworthy as you believe yourself to be would have been able to accomplish such a deed.”

Pharazôn’s face was hot; from the outside it would probably look flushed.

“I am done speaking with you”, he growled, walking in the direction of the stairs. But the voice still followed him.

“Do you truly believe an old prophecy to be more important than the lives of the Queen and your son?”

“My…?” For a moment, he froze in his tracks, but he regained his bearings very soon. “I do not believe anything of the sort. Your lies have merely failed to convince me.”

“I can prove that they are not lies.”

“Then do it. What do you need to sacrifice to escape this prison and return to Mordor?”

Sauron did not answer.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He was running through the empty courtyard, as fast as his legs could carry him. Nothing but sheer willpower sustained his efforts, for exhaustion pierced his limbs like the point of a blade, and his lungs felt about to explode. Still, he knew he was going to run out of that soon, for he could never outrun the shadows that chased him, riding over the deafening roar of the waters.

Before him, hovering in the horizon like the unattainable shape of his destiny, the White Tree’s branches shone under the pale moonlight, ominously bare from the silver foliage that covered them at this time of summer. As he ventured a look at it, he realized that there was something small hanging from one of them. It was a fruit; a round-shaped white fruit unlike any other he had seen in the trees of either Island or mainland. He had to reach it, he knew, but it was too high, and he was no good at climbing.

And Malik could not help.

“Isildur”, the familiar, harrowing whisper reached his ears. “Isildur.”

“No”, he tried to say, but he had no voice left. He fell to his knees, his eyes fixed upon the floor, unable to raise them, unwilling to see. His chest heaved in great gasps, but the voice did not go.

“Isildur.”

“No.” This time, he managed to utter the word, but it did not matter; the shadows had won the race again, and he was dead. They both were.

“You must not die, Isildur. You have a great destiny, and you must fulfil it.”

“I cannot” he whispered. “I cannot.”

The voice became angry.

“Are you a coward?”

His body gave a painful start, as if he had been bludgeoned on the ribs with a blunt weapon. Raising his gaze, he braced himself for the inevitable sight, the one which would always meet him at the end of the way, no matter how long he tried to avoid it. But instead of what he had been expecting, he saw the Tree burst into flames before his eyes.

“You must not let it happen.”

Isildur woke up screaming.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He had never gone as far in his dream as to see what he had just witnessed. That, Isildur thought as he washed the sweat away from his face in the courtyard fountain, might have one of the following two explanations: either Malik had been too busy meeting Ilmarë somewhere as to hear his cries and shake him awake, or the events happening in his dream were imminent.

“The White Tree” he mumbled aloud, in an attempt to gather his scattered thoughts by using his own voice as an anchor. “The White Tree has a fruit. The White Tree is burning.”

“Having those dreams again?” someone spoke behind him. Still uneasy from his ordeal, Isildur gave a jump, but calmed down when he realized it was just Malik. Then, however, he saw Ilmarë next to him, and panic at the supernatural gave way to more mundane concerns.

“What are you doing together? Are you mad? Do you want anyone to wake up and see you here? Is this what you call secrecy?”

“We were worried because we heard you, and…” Ilmarë began, but Isildur did not let her finish.

“Leave, right now! I do not care which one of you, but leave!”

For a moment, there was no sound behind his back, not even a whisper. Then, he heard the sound of paused footsteps, fading away in the distance. He threw more water over his face, wondering why it was still so hot.

“Perhaps.” He stopped, testing his voice to make sure that he would be able to say the next sentence in a perfectly even tone. “Perhaps I am finally getting to the bottom of this, now that you are not there to wake me. I see something hanging from one of the branches, a white fruit of some kind. And when I look at it, the whole tree starts to burn.”

“I have seen that fruit. But not in my dreams. “In shock, he realized that the voice behind him was female; he had been wrong to assume without looking. “It is still very small, but it has grown a little since last week. It has become the curiosity of the Palace, which only proves that courtiers have very boring lives.”

“Unlike you”, he retorted, more to hide his inner turmoil than anything else. “Is that… normal? For the White Tree to bear fruit? I mean, does it happen often?”

“Never, as far as priests and loremasters can tell. Not this Tree, at least. According to Great-Grandfather, the Tree this one came from did give fruit, but that was in the Blessed Lands.”

“So my dream is real.” This confirmation chilled his blood. “Do you think it is going to be consumed by flames, too?”

“Perhaps. Today…” Ilmarë’s voice trailed away, and she seemed to hesitate. Frustrated, Isildur turned to face her. She looked eerie under the moonlight, with her long, dark hair undone and falling wildly over her shoulders.

“What happened today?”

“The Queen said something strange. You know that she has been in much pain lately, because of her pregnancy. This morning, she had a crisis. It was… nothing serious, she was fine after she went to bed and took her medicine. The healer told her that she would be fine, which was a bad idea, because she dislikes people who pretend to know the future just for the sake of being nice. To think that he should be aware of this by now!”

“And what happened then?” Isildur cut her before she could stray too far from the subject that interested him. Ilmarë shrugged.

“She said that she would burn the White Tree. It had nothing to do with the subject at hand, but she does that many times, especially when someone displeases her, and he had. But...” She, too, seemed a little uneasy all of a sudden. “I could swear that she was looking at me as she spoke. And I wonder if she was trying to scare me, because I dream of it too! Perhaps it was a way of telling me that she knew my most secret thoughts. Isildur, do you think that she knows about Malik?”

His eyes widened.

“If she does, she must have known for a while now, and done nothing. Why should it matter to her? She has her own problems to worry about”, he reasoned, trying to quell her alarm. “Are you sure she spoke of burning the Tree?”

“Yes.”

“And have you seen it burning in your dreams, too?”

“Ye- no”, she corrected herself, her mind still on her own concerns. “It just stands there, in an empty courtyard. And there is a great wave, and it is going to drown us all, but then I wake up. Once, I saw…” Her voice trailed away, as if she had thought better of something. “It is so unsettling.”

“What did you see?” Isildur pressed on. She shook her head.

“Nothing.”

“Is it Malik?” It was a stab in the dark, but it was rewarded with success. Ilmarë’s face went deathly pale.

“How did you…? You have seen him, too!” It was not a question. “I only saw him once. He was holding my hand and dragging me away from the Sea, and then the water… the water….”

“Drowned him.” Isildur finished for her. “I know.”

“He does not believe in any of this. Dreams are dreams; they are not real, he always says. But I have both kinds of dreams, and they are not the same, and he is just too stubborn to accept it!”

“Tell me about it. I spent years in the mainland trying to prevent him from knocking me unconscious whenever I dreamed at night.”

“Once, I told him about what happened to him in my dream. He laughed at me. He said that my imagination was only right in one thing: that he would protect me from any danger.” She took a sharp breath. “Do you think it could be warning me that we may be discovered, and he is going to die because of me?”

“What does that have to do with the White Tree?”

“I do not know. Maybe it could be some sort of symbol?”, she ventured, but that was not convincing enough for Isildur.

“No, Ilmarë. We see the White Tree in all our dreams, and now, I have seen its newly grown fruit. The Queen said that she would burn it, and I saw it burn. And it is I who have seen those two things, I, who did not know about them beforehand” he expounded. “I believe the White Tree is at the centre of everything. And some force in Heaven is warning me that I have to solve the riddle and act on it before it is too late.”

“I could tell you if I happen to hear something else. But do not ask me to confront the Queen about it, because if there is the slightest chance that she knows about Malik…!”

“I understand. I understand!” he cut her, in exasperation. His instincts seemed bent on telling him that this was not the danger, that the source of all peril was related to the White Tree, and not to Ilmarë’s secret trysts. But still, he had enough wits left to understand her position, and he also had some idea of how frightening Ar Zimraphel could be. “I will speak to Lord Númendil about this. And I will also ask Grandfather about the Tree; he is a councilman, and perhaps he has heard something that neither of us knows.”

Ilmarë nodded in a rather vague manner. She still looked worried, Isildur realized belatedly, about the same thing that would worry him if he allowed that dam to open and flood his mind. But if he did that, he thought, he would fail the supreme entity who had seen fit to send this dream to him. Who was counting on him.

“Do not worry, Ilmarë”, he said, in the calmer voice that came to him under those circumstances. “Nothing will happen to Malik, as long as I am here.”

Her eyes narrowed in suspicion, and he knew that he was remembering that time when they were ambushed by the tribesmen of the Vale. Damn, she could bear a grudge.

“He did not die back then, and let me remind you that if I had not won that battle, he would have.” He sighed. “Now, go back to bed. To your bed.”

She snorted, the first sign of spirit he had detected in her that night.

“Where did you think that we were?” she asked, walking away before he could put together an answer.

Plans and Preparations

Read Plans and Preparations

As it turned out, there was no need for Ilmarë to investigate or confront anyone about their suspicions. Barely three days after Isildur was awoken by that dream, the news had travelled across the Court and reached the Armenelos mansion of the lords of Andúnië, leaving a huge commotion in their wake. The King and the Queen sought the aid of Heaven in the difficult endeavour of bringing forth the heir to the throne of Númenor, and to secure the goodwill of the greatest of gods, Melkor the King of Armenelos, they were going to offer the most expensive and lavish sacrifices that Númenor had ever seen. Bulls and cows would be brought in great numbers from every corner of their kingdom, even from the mainland, and the sacred altar where they would burn was to be kindled with the hewn wood of the White Tree itself.

“This is madness.” Amandil paced around the courtyard, seemingly unaware of the possibility that any passers-by could see him like this. Or else he did not care. “Sheer madness. Yes, that must be it, his delusions of greatness have grown out of control, and now he has gone mad.”

Anárion looked very concerned, gazing left and right as if he believed the spies of Ar Pharazôn to be hiding behind every column and pressing their ears against the doors. In sharp contrast, Númendil’s grey eyes appeared as serene as a winter morning after the first snows had fallen, but Isildur knew him enough by now to recognize this as an attempt to bring calm to those who surrounded him.

“He is not mad. But I believe he has been listening to someone.”

The lord of Andúnië stopped in his tracks. Gradually, the colour of his face was changing from flushed to livid.

“No. That cannot be. He – he knows this is the last thing, the very last thing that he should do.”

“Neither the King nor the Queen have thought of this on their own. You know that, Amandil. And you also know that the King dismissed you from his presence because he did not share your concerns about exactly how… dangerous the prisoner could be.”

It was a very rare occurrence, to see Isildur’s grandfather completely speechless. The resulting silence was so heavy, so oppressive, that even prudent Anárion seemed to be struggling to fill it with something.

“Is there… do you think there is a way to reverse this? To change the King’s mind?” He swallowed deeply. “The White Tree is the symbol of the royal line, is it not? If it flourishes, the line of the Kings will flourish. If it dies, the line of the Kings will die. For a King to cut and burn it is an act of self-destruction, how could he fail to see this?”

The lord of Andúnië still did not speak. He appeared almost transfixed, as if he was looking at something that none of them could see.

Isildur approached them, and sat at the veranda next to Númendil.

“He has always listened to you, Grandfather. You could try.”

At last, Amandil seemed to gather his composure enough to utter words.

“I have no access to him”, he said, in a strangely hollow voice. “All I can do is speak against him in the Council, but he has never listened to what I say there, not even when… not even before.”

Isildur did not know exactly what had happened during the Mordor campaign, but it was there that something had changed forever in the lord of Andúnië’s relationship with the King. For a while, he had suspected this to have something to do with his father’s actions in Arne, a secret conflict which had culminated in his own return to Númenor as a hostage. But now that he had heard it from Númendil’s lips, he realized that it was Sauron who had been in the middle of it, as he was also in the middle of this business about the Tree. For a defeated prisoner, he appeared to have a large range of action indeed.

“The Tree will fall, no matter what we do”, Númendil said. Though he was talking to Amandil, for a moment he gazed at Isildur, and he had the feeling that his great-grandfather was addressing him. “It is beyond any of us to avert this catastrophe. My advice is that you save your strength for the battles ahead of us, which will be many and bitter.”

Taken by a sudden urge to flee that gaze, Isildur bowed and mumbled some excuse before walking away. He should not have bothered, for no one seemed to challenge, perhaps even notice his departure. As he left the courtyard behind, he could hear Amandil’s raised voice directed at Númendil. Though the lord of Andúnië had no idea of how to solve this problem, refusing to surrender was too much of an inherent trait of his personality – one that Isildur had inherited, according to many.

Checking that he was alone, he let go of a long, shuddering breath. He had no idea of how much Númendil knew, about either his thoughts or his dreams. He did not even know if his great-grandfather was aware of something about his own fate, as the Seers were said to receive visions about the future deeds and perils of individual men when under the influence of the sacred herb. However it may be, Isildur could not take the word of a man, of any man, and simply refuse to face the situation that his dreams had been preparing him for since he was a child. Deep inside, he had always been sure that those visions had a purpose, that Eru had chosen him to do something, and that he would know what it was if only he could reach the elusive end of the dream and find the key to interpret it.

Now, at long last, the time had come. The purpose was clear, as clear as the crystalline waters of the fountain where he washed his face after he awoke drenched in sweat. All those sleepless nights, the fears of a child which had turned into the obsession of an adult, had revealed themselves to have a meaning, and the meaning was right in front of him. The White Tree would go up in flames, and disaster would follow his heels, but he would be given a chance to prevent it. Not Númendil, not Amandil, not Anárion, but him. And if that was true, it followed that the required action had nothing to do with wise counsel or political manoeuvring of any sort. It was meant to be something that he could do.

“Isildur.”

The voice calling his name startled him, and his whole body tensed. Absorbed as he had been by his feverish train of thought, he had not heard Malik approach, but that was not the only reason for his reaction. His feeling of vindication because his dream was finally coming true had managed to obscure, even for a moment, the least pleasant aspects of it. Now, upon hearing the familiar voice he had been forced to listen to every night as he tried to climb the white branches, they came crashing into his mind, and his heart sank.

“What is the matter? You look upset.”

“It is nothing”, he replied, but fooling Malik had never been that easy, if it was possible at all.

“Are you thinking of your dream?”

“How on Earth… how could you know that?” Isildur stared at his friend wide-eyed. wondering if Malik would suddenly reveal himself to possess powers that eluded even the most gifted of the Line of Elros. The half-Númenórean, however, merely shrugged, bemused by his shocked reaction.

“Ilmarë told me about the White Tree. The same White Tree that features in all those mad dreams you keep having at night”, he explained. Then, with a matter-of-fact expression, he sat by the fountain, and gestured at Isildur to approach. “In the end, it was not that complicated, was it? To think you spent decades trying to argue that you needed to dream it again and again, and remember every detail so you could make sense of what Heaven was trying to tell you!”

Isildur swallowed, not sure of whether he should take the bait or refuse to be engaged in this conversation.

“To think you spent decades trying to argue that my dreams were meaningless and I should not have them”, he surrendered at last, his mind still reeling with visions of his friend’s ghost.

“I never said they were meaningless.”

“You told Ilmarë that you did not believe in them.”

“Well, she was very worried about that! She seemed to think I was in danger, or something of the sort.”

“I see your ghost.”

“What?” Now, this had achieved the intended reaction of giving Malik pause. And perhaps even unnerve him, he thought, seeing him shift his position at least twice before he opened his mouth again. “In your dream, you mean?”

“Yes.” Isildur nodded, almost savagely. “I am trying to escape the towering waters and get to the Tree, and I need your help, but you cannot help me because you are already dead.”

Malik shook his head with a snort, signalling the end of his moment of vulnerability.

“Well, that is clearly wrong. I am here, very much alive, and I can help you with whatever it is that you are planning to do. Which is stealing the fruit from the White Tree before they burn it so you can plant another, right?”

“Forget it. You are not going to help me with anything.”

Malik ignored him.

“What do those waters mean, anyway? Are we supposed to factor them in the list of dangers, right under all the Palace Guards and a Queen who could be having a vision about us?”

“Since centuries ago, my family has believed that this dream of the Wave represents a catastrophe that will sink Númenor in retribution for our sins. But as long as the White Tree remained standing, there would be….”, Isildur began replying mechanically, before he realized the full implications of what he had just heard. “And stop speaking in the plural.”

“Ha! My father believed that an island could sink, and they called him a barbarian!” Malik snorted. “In any case, those waters would not be able to pursue you while the White Tree was still standing, would they? You must be dreaming of things that will happen at different times. And in that case, what is so strange about my death? We were born at the same time, but we will not die at the same time. You know that. “His friend’s gaze was briefly lost in the distance, and Isildur was distracted by remembrances of that fateful conversation in the beach of Andúnië, when Malik had returned from visiting his widowed mother. “Listen, your dream shows you fleeing the waters, does it not? Do you think the dream means that, if you get to the Tree in time, that catastrophe could be averted?”

Now, it was Isildur who was given pause. Before Malik arrived, he had been savouring the brief triumph of his realization that the dream meant something, and that there was a course of action he could take to prevent disaster, but to hear it said out loud was different.

Could that be? Could he be the one who was called to end his family’s long nightmare, and to save Númenor from its fate? If he thought rationally about it, the claim seemed vain and preposterous. Lord Númendil had said that Ar Pharazôn was listening to Sauron’s counsel now, the lord of Andúnië had no access to him anymore, and Isildur could not figure out how saving the lineage of a tree, even the White Tree, would change this. But the logic of prophecy could not always be explained by the logic of the waking world, and a part of him yearned to put his trust in the first when the second seemed so paradoxically remote and out of his grasp.

“It could be”, he admitted, grudgingly, though he was aware that he was playing into his friend’s hands. Malik nodded.

“In that case, this would give you the opportunity to change all our fates. Should you hesitate to risk your life over this, when the gain is so great?”

My life, Malik. I am the one who was sent those dreams, not you.”

“You are not a good gambler, Isildur.”

“What?” He frowned, for a moment unable to understand what Malik was on about. His friend shook his head, as if he was speaking to someone who was unbearably slow of mind.

“When a gambler has only one stab at success, he does not keep a part of his money stored away for the next time. He gambles everything, all that he owns, because there will be no next time. If you have only one chance to save the White Tree of the Kings or perish in the attempt, why on Earth would you go alone, when you can go with me and have more chances of succeeding in your endeavour?”

In his dream, Isildur had always been filled with anguish at some unsurmountable obstacle. Sometimes, it had been his inability to outrun the Wave, but what he most remembered was standing before the White Tree and knowing that he was unable to climb it. And he always, invariably thought of Malik, who could do nothing to help him with his ghostly hands. But Malik’s hands were not ghostly now; one of them was grabbing his, and his grip was as firm as ever.

“To get to the Tree, I will need stealth, not strength.” He still refused to use the plural. “Two are stronger than one, but the Guards would still outnumber us by far.”

“And yet, they do not have to know how many we are. This means that one can still succeed if the other fails.”

“You mean like in a spy mission?” He remembered their fighting days in Arne, and a rather fateful night when one of their companions was caught and they could not give away their position. Sometimes, when he closed his eyes, the screams still haunted him. “No. I will not do it. Besides, if you die, I will have to die too, because Ilmarë will kill me.”

Malik chortled, but he did not seem amused.

“I marvel at your confidence, Isildur. You cannot climb to save your life, you are much worse at stealth than I am, and your arm is no stronger than mine. And yet you assume that, of the two of us, I am the more likely to fall.”

Isildur felt his cheeks grow red.

“That is not…! Were you even listening to me before? I said I saw your ghost! I was alive and I saw your ghost, not the other way around! This has nothing to do with your abilities or mine.”

“So, you are going to pay heed to what you saw in a dream, instead of what is right in front of your eyes?”

“I thought you believed in my dreams now!”

“I do not!” Malik’s eyes narrowed as he set them on his. “I cannot believe in a prophecy that asks you to die to save an old tree, or else let Númenor be swallowed by a giant wave. And I will not believe it is my fate to die now because you dreamed of a ghost! I may be a barbarian, or half-barbarian, or whatever else people may wish to call me, but I will be ruled by common sense, not mad superstitions!”

Once again, their argument was dangerously veering towards the edge of absurdity. Isildur longed to turn his back to it and go someplace where he could be alone with his own thoughts, but he suspected that leaving this business unfinished could prove dangerous for his immediate future. Their immediate future.

“Then why did you claim earlier that you never thought they were meaningless? Why were you trying to convince me of the need to accept your help by interpreting parts of them for me? You are not making any sense in this conversation, and I have had enough of this!”

His friend answered his glare, unfazed.

“On the contrary, I am making all the sense in the world. Those dreams are not meaningless to me because you believe in them, and because you are going to steal inside the Palace to follow your vision. And if you die for this, your death will not happen in your dreams, it will happen in the waking world, and Ilmarë will kill me. “He shrugged, feigning a nonchalance that fooled neither of them. “What could be more meaningful than that?”

“I cannot let you die for something you do not even believe in!”

“And am I supposed to let you die for something I do not believe in?”

Isildur’s frown became a scowl. That stubborn, idiot fool was just too much.

“You cannot prevent me from following my destiny.”

“What if I told the lord of Andúnië about your plans?”

“I would still find a way to escape, and he would not be able to prevent it.”

“And neither would you be able to prevent me from escaping with you.”

“Stop making up retorts for everything I say!” How could such a momentous decision, such a turning point in his life, end up resembling one of their childhood’s pettiest fights? “This is something that I have to do on my own, and if I fail, the weight of my failure will be on me alone.”

“Can I make one last retort?”

Isildur shook his head, but no words made it past his lips. He was so tired of this. He longed to splash his face with the cool water of the fountain, as he did when he wanted to clear the haze of his dreams. To go back to the feeling of triumph, of purpose, that he had experienced when he first realized the truth of his visions.

“I will not let you risk your life on your own. This is something that I have to do, too. I do not care if that fruit is worth a kingdom or if it is just a fruit like any other. I will see you return with it, and if you do not, I will return with it myself.” He crossed his arms over his chest. “You may have noticed that I am not even trying to dissuade you, because I know it is useless to change your mind once it is bent upon an objective. Now, will you award me the same courtesy, or not?”

Isildur’s glance, which until now had been fixed on Malik, slowly trailed down, until he was gazing at the floor. He was defeated, both of them knew it, and there was no need for an open acknowledgement of the fact.

“We might as well come up with a good plan, then.”

He should feel heartened that he was not alone, but instead of that he felt a heaviness of heart that he found difficult to explain even to himself. It was not just the memory of the ghost in his dream, though this had not fled his mind for a moment, or the thought of his sister, who might never forgive him this time, and with good reason.  In spite of Malik’s dismissive words, he had seen the events depicted in his dream with his own eyes. He believed in them, knew that they were real, and that Eru had sent it to him for this very purpose.

Still, the more he thought about it, the more he kept returning to the thoughts that he had harboured right at the beginning of their conversation. Almost guiltily, he remembered opposing the logic of prophecy to the logic of the real world, and choosing to believe in the first, because it meant that he could do something. But, could everything in this world bend to this logic, and be controlled by it? There was Malik, who refused to pay heed to those dreams or recognize the importance of the White Tree, and claimed to be able to take on Fate on his own means, with a strength of conviction that equalled, perhaps surpassed that of Isildur himself. If the rest of Númenor was like Malik, if their King was like him, what could the act of saving a fruit mean in the larger scheme of things?

And yet, he is ready to die for that fruit, just because you believe in it. He could almost see Lord Númendil before him, his serene grey eyes fixed on his. Do not underestimate the logic of prophecy, Isildur, for even those who dismiss it are bound to it.

The real Númendil, the one who had looked at him for a brief moment as he told the lord of Andúnië that he could not save the White Tree, did not want Isildur to go. But he had not interfered then, and Isildur knew that he would not dare defy the logic of prophecy either, no matter what his personal feelings were.

“Come”, he said, standing on his feet and gesturing towards Malik, who was still sitting by the edge of the fountain. “Let us go somewhere more private to discuss this.”

Malik stood up in silence, and followed him on his way to his rooms.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You are both insane. I will not help you. No… I will not let you do this.” Her ashen-grey features seemed carved in stone like those of a statue, except for her eyes, which were very much alive and glowering at them. Upon looking at her, Isildur was unpleasantly reminded of his mother for a moment, but he could not allow such sentiments to sidetrack him.

“With your help, we would have no problem getting into the Palace. Once we are in, we can have the deed done.”

“Oh, is that so? Silly me, how could I fail to see how easy it is to steal the fruit from the heavily guarded White Tree inside the heavily guarded Outer Courtyard of the heavily guarded Palace of Armenelos!” Ilmarë’s voice had risen well above the whispers which Isildur considered the only safe way to communicate without being discovered, but he knew that, if he told her this, she would only speak louder. So he forced himself to swallow his anxiety, and prayed that no one heard her. “Even if you are in, even if you somehow get past the guards, how will you get out?”

“By disguising myself as a guard.”

“And if they raise the alarm?”

“If the plan goes well, they will be chasing after Malik. The wall of the Outer Courtyard can be climbed, for it is not that high. I remember there are old and sturdy vines growing near the garden where the White Tree stands; they can support a grown man’s weight.”

“Climb?” She snorted. “You?”

“I am not…”

“I am the one who will do the climbing.” It was the first time that Malik spoke since the beginning of the conversation. “He will take advantage of the commotion to flee, pretending to be a guard chasing after me.”

“Oh, is that what you think?” Ilmarë’s anger was redirected towards him now, giving Isildur the opportunity to breathe. “How long did it take you to accomplish such cunning strategies and precise calculations? How could you drag Malik into your mad schemes, Isildur, wasn’t almost getting him killed in the mainland exciting enough for you?”

Now, that had been one very short breath.

“He did not drag me into anything. He did not want me to come, and it took me a long time to convince him”, Malik replied, rather vehemently for what Isildur was used to hear from his mouth in her presence. “There is no way he can do this alone and succeed. He needs me. And we need you.”

That beseeching tone was more familiar to his ears. And probably more effective, he thought, as he saw Ilmarë flinch and look suddenly upset.

“But why? Why risk your lives for a… for a dream? What is this going to change? The White Tree will be saved, and then what? Will that make Sauron disappear, and the Faithful to be restored to their former honour?”

“I do not know.” Isildur intervened again, perceiving Malik to be at a loss. “All I know is that I was sent this dream when I was a child, and that it has taken me this long to understand its meaning. Now, we only have a few days to act before Sauron achieves his purpose, and in my dream, this purpose was followed by the destruction of Númenor. And do not tell me that it is just a dream”, he added quickly, frowning at her. “You, of all people, should understand.”

“Yes, I have the dream, too.” Instead of deflating, she seemed to grow taller at his words. “How do we know that it is not I who has to steal the fruit? You seem very sure of what Eru is asking of you, did you even ask Lord Númendil for counsel? Oh, I forget. “She snorted. “You always know better than everyone.”

“Lord Númendil knows.” Isildur was almost certain of this, and he willed that certainty into his voice. “And Ilmarë, how can you not see it? You were sent this dream because you are meant to give us your aid. If we all perform our appointed tasks, everything will be well.”

“And what is Malik’s appointed task? In your dream, he is dead! Even I saw him die once!”

“As far as you told me back then, I died saving you from the Wave.” He was becoming good at interpreting visions that he believed to be a bunch of utter nonsense, Isildur thought wryly. “That should mean I survive this, as it is meant to happen later, if at all.”

“Your plan sounds very dangerous! There is too much left to chance!” He knew his sister well enough as to detect that she was nearing the point of – calling it surrender might be too much of a stretch, but she might be open for a tenuous alliance.

“Not chance. Fate”, he could not prevent himself from replying. Now, it was Malik who gazed at him in contempt.

“But Fate needs plenty of help. Otherwise, why shouldn’t we stay here, sitting idly while the King burns the Tree? Fate would save it for us.”

“What if I tell Grandfather of what you are about to do?”

Malik laughed.

“I said the same thing to this fool, so I can save you his answer. If he is hindered in his plans, he will find a way to do it anyway, probably on his own and without plans of any sort, and he will die in the attempt.”

“I hate you.” Ilmarë spat. At him, of course. “Why do you always need to have your way in everything? If something happens to either of you, I will blame you, Isildur! And I will never forgive you!”

He had in mind some flippant retort about her need to wait for her turn after the King and the lord of Andúnië, but abandoned the idea when he realized that she was at the verge of tears. It was not that he did not understand her reaction: she cared for them, and they had just told her that they were going to risk their lives to achieve a perilous mission he had been sent in a dream.

And besides, they needed her help.

Before he could manage to compose a stirring speech signifying their unwavering compromise not to stop before any obstacle in order to come back alive, however, Malik had already embraced her, and his only opportunity to appear as less of a monster was gone.

“Ilmarë, I promise that we will succeed in our mission”, he whispered against her ear. “Even if you cannot trust him, trust me on this, for I would never lie to you.”

Smooth bastard.

“I d-do not care about the mission” she muttered in a tremulous voice. “I care about you. And about Isildur, too, though he does not deserve it. If… if there is a choice between your lives and the mission, you have to swear that you will choose your lives.” The voice became firmer now, and she slowly let go of the embrace. “That is my price.”

“Very well.” Malik’s gaze held no trace of hesitation as she held her hands in this. “We swear it.”

Isildur opened his mouth to protest: he had not sworn anything of the sort, and he was not sure that he could. However, as he was about to state this, he saw the relief on Ilmarë’s countenance, and her nod, and realized that he could not afford to reverse the outcome of this particular battle.

“Fine. Shall we go back to the plan again?” he spoke loudly above the noises of their kiss. With more than a little reluctance, they broke it up, and he knew that tonight he would have a hard time reminding them that the sounds of their farewell should never reach the ears of the other denizens of the Andúnië mansion.

“Very well”, Malik sighed, sitting down, her hand still in his. “I will be part of Ilmarë’s escort when she enters the Palace in the morning. Normally, I would not go beyond the entrance, but she is going to need me to help carry something heavy. Won’t the Palace Guards want to do that themselves?”

“I will not allow those barbarians to lay their rough hands on my precious belongings”, she answered, in such an arrogant tone that Isildur was certain that the Palace Guard in question would step back, bow, and dislike her inwardly.

“Ha! If only they knew where barbarians lay their rough hands…”

“Stop talking. Right now.” Sometimes, he hated Malik.  “Well, once that you are in, Ilmarë will hide you and you will bide your time and try not to be discovered. Meanwhile, I will be getting ready to accompany the lord of Andúnië to the Council session that afternoon.”

“How will you manage to convince him that you are suddenly interested in matters of governance?” Ilmarë surveyed him with a critical look, in such a good impression of their grandfather that Isildur almost felt as if he was being judged by him.

“Because the debate is going to be focused on the fate of the White Tree. Grandfather knows that I have been dreaming of it since I was a boy, and he will not think it strange that I am interested in this particular issue. If all, he may be a little worried about my ability to remain silent, but as he will also lose his composure soon enough, that will not matter.”

“And he will also believe you when you claim that you have to see me, and stay in the Palace after he leaves?”

“As I said, he will lose his composure. If things go very badly, he might not even hear me. He might not even remember I am there.”

“He might not even remember who you are.” Malik retorted wryly.

“That would be even better.” Isildur laid both hands on the table, and bent forwards so he could turn his voice into a whisper. “Now, we are both inside the Palace, and Ilmarë leaves.”

“Wait. Before that, I have to disguise you somehow and give you instructions, or they will spot you very soon. In fact, I think that they will spot you very soon even if I do all that! This is one of the weakest parts of the plan.”

“Not many know me in the Palace, I have only been there once since I was a child! Now, if I was Anárion…”

“You have the features of the lords of Andúnië. You will have to try better than that.”

“Then hide me in a storage room, or something!”

“I will hide you both, then. They cannot see either of you. Yes, Malik, you are just as conspicuous as he is. You can only be mistaken for a Guard, but they know each other and you cannot pass as one of them for a whole day without being discovered.” For someone who had been railing against the plan a mere while ago, she seemed quite ready now to organize the whole operation. “The laundry storage! You can go where the dirty laundry is piled for cleaning! It is huge and dark because it is underground, so even if they come to take a part of it for washing, you only have to retreat deeper and hide behind another pile. And there will surely be Guard uniforms there that you can use later. They will not be very clean, but they will do.”

“So, I will be hiding in an underground, windowless cave among mountains of dirty clothes for a day”, Malik summed up. Isildur snorted.

“That sounds terrible. Even worse than the time I hid among corpses for a whole night, five years ago. It was hot and they smelled terribly as they began to decompose, but I am sure that dirty laundry smells worse. And the humidity will kill your joints.”

“Aren’t you forgetting something? I was there among the corpses, too.”

“Oh, were you?” Isildur feigned confusion. “But if that was the case, why would you complain now? It makes no sense.”

“Stop it!” Since she had declared herself in charge, Ilmarë appeared to have decided that she was entitled to glare at them as well. “I have had enough of your… baiting, and your boasting! You are both very brave, but I could not care less! I only want you to come out of this alive, and for that you will have to do as you are told!”

For a moment, their eyes met, and Isildur realized that Malik was also growing aware of the fact that they had just created a monster. But unlike him, Malik did not seem particularly displeased about it.

“You are right. And do not worry, we will. So, at some point he will join me at the room of the dirty laundry, will he not?”

She nodded.

“And after that?”

“After that, she will no longer be there, Malik”, Isildur reminded him, wondering if he did it on purpose. “We will stick to the rest of our plan: to wait until midnight approaches, around a half hour before the guard around the White Tree changes. They will be paying less attention then, as they will be busy with the report they must deliver to the newcomers, perhaps even discussing what they are going to do after their watch ends.”

Ilmarë seemed about to ask a question, but she closed her mouth without saying anything.

“Then, while they are there, I will sneak in under the cover of the darkness”, Malik continued. If they were Orcs, that would probably even work, Isildur thought. “Once they spot me, Isildur will come running, disguised as a Guard, and since the helmet will cover most of his features, they will not recognize him in the confusion, nor have the time to ask many questions. He will pretend to have been chasing me, and hopefully send them in the wrong direction. There are six of them, and most will join the chase, so it will be a matter of doubling back and overpowering the one or two who remain. Once he has the fruit, he will go to the main gate to raise the alarm and call the guards in to detain the intruder. Taking advantage of the confusion, it will be easy for him to sneak past them. Meanwhile, I will have climbed the wall and jumped towards freedom.”

Ilmarë stared at them, her eyes wide open. Then, all of a sudden, they became as narrow as slits.

“Towards freedom? Even if all you have said comes true, and that is saying much, how can you think that as soon as you cross the walls of the Palace you will be safe? You will have a bunch of guards chasing you!”

“The Palace Guards cannot leave the Palace for long. They might give chase through a few streets, but then they will be forced to return to their posts. That quarter is full of revellers at night; it should be easy to give them the slip.”

“You are insane.” And there they were, back to where they started. Isildur sighed, about to be won by discouragement.

“Look, Ilmarë, I understand how you feel”, Malik spoke, pressing his hand against hers. She withdrew it furiously, and he shook his head with a regretful glance. “But we are both soldiers. For years, we have been following one insane, unsure, dangerous strategy after another. Believe it or not, this is our life, and that is why the least you know about it, the less you will suffer.”

“You are not in Middle-Earth! This is Númenor! Here, you should be… we should be…”

“Safe?” Isildur chuckled mirthlessly. “But we are not. An ancient evil spirit has taken residence in the royal palace, the White Tree of the Kings is about to be burned, and you and I and our brother are hostages to prevent our father from opposing the King’s will. At any moment now, we can be persecuted like our ancestors were, like our own grandfather, who had narrowly escaped death thrice before he was ten years old. And if our dreams are true, the whole of Númenor may be in grave peril. How could we be safe in these circumstances?”

Ilmarë stood up. Her face was livid, and her hands were balled into fists under her sleeves.

“I do not care what you say. I will still hold you to your oath. Both of you”, she hissed, levelling them with an angry glance before she turned their back on them and left. Malik stood up in a hurry, and gave him an apologetic look. When Isildur shrugged, he bolted after her.

Before night fell, he realized, he would have to make sure that they made peace. If he had to bear the blame for everything, so be it, as long as Ilmarë did not waste it in anger at Malik. And if he had to stand watch at their doorstep, he would do that too. In spite of all, he had always wanted them to be happy, not for a night but for many years, and if there was a way to ensure that, Isildur would give anything in the world to achieve it.

Anything, but your dream, an insidious voice whispered in his mind. Which is the only thing that might truly destroy all of your happiness. If that is not irony, then what is it?

“Be silent”, Isildur hissed, standing up as well to step out of the dark room, and into the courtyard.

 

The White Tree

Read The White Tree

“I am counting five now. Where could the other be?”

The night was still, almost eerily so in the vast, empty space of the Outer Courtyard. For the last half hour, Isildur had been hiding with Malik behind one of the flower bushes close to the northern end, where the White Tree stood majestically under the intermittent glow of a veiled crescent moon. Under his aching knees, the earth was wet, and the discomfort he felt was magnified by the uncertainty of the wait.

“He must have left for a moment, perhaps to relieve himself”, Malik shrugged. “He will be back soon.”

“How long do we have left before midnight?”

“According to my calculations, it must still be about an hour away. But perhaps we should attack sooner, now that we have an opening. I know! We could waylay the Guard on his way back, and steal his sword!”

“No.” Isildur also found it hard not to surrender to impatience, but he still remembered the mainland, where people’s lives had hinged on his decisions. And this was no different. “We do not know where he has gone, or what path he will use to come back. And for the last time, will you remember that you are unarmed?”

That had been the main obstacle to the development of their plan so far, one which had rarely been an issue on the mainland. It was not that difficult to enter the Palace if one knew the right people, but entering it while carrying weapons was a different thing altogether. Isildur had been allowed to carry what they believed to be a ceremonial dagger, and since he had been with Lord Amandil at the time, no one had searched him. But Malik had not been so lucky, and swords and spears did not lie around in those marble and obsidian floors as easily as they had in the battlegrounds of the Vale. Whenever he thought that his friend would have to be pursued by the Palace Guards without even the means to defend himself, Isildur was tempted to call the whole thing off, but they were too deep in enemy territory as to be able to afford aborting the mission. It was now, or never.

“There he is, anyway”, Malik whispered, an edge of frustration in his tone. The Guard was indeed back, and they could see him exchange words with one of his companions, which ended in a brief but explosive fit of laughter. After that, he walked back towards his post, and silence reigned again for a while.

“They are guarding it so dutifully, even though they know it will be nothing but firewood in a few days”, Malik broke it at some point. “To fight and kill and risk their lives for something so meaningless… do you think they will have second thoughts?”

Isildur frowned.

“Do you?”

His friend glared at him.

“I am not someone who was just recruited for a post. I am here to prevent you from getting killed. That is my mission.”

“The unarmed decoy is here to prevent me from getting killed.” Isildur snorted, though the more he thought about it, the less amusing he found it. “You should have stayed away from this, Malik.”

“Stop it. Can you imagine yourself questioning things in the middle of a mission in Arne or in Harad? This is not Númenor anymore, Isildur. This is Harad. Keep thinking and you will die.”

“Well, one of us has to think, or we would be mindlessly heading towards our destruction.”

“We have been mindlessly heading towards our destruction since you first had this idea.” Malik shrugged, and interrupted Isildur before he could whisper an angry retort. “It is time.”

The half-Númenórean’s innate sense of the passing of time had always been much better than his own, perhaps from some mysterious heritage passed on from his ancestors. Abandoning the pointless debate, Isildur looked up, and his whole body tensed in anticipation of the risk they were about to take. In a process that was already familiar to him from every other ambush he had led in his life, he could feel his heartbeat increase, and his lifeblood flow in droves towards every limb and extremity of his body, while his brain remained strangely aloof and unaffected by those processes, as if it belonged to someone else.

He nodded curtly.

“I am ready.”

“So am I. Good luck.”

That was all, and Malik was already crouching under cover of the next set of bushes, his movements as silent and precise as ever. Isildur watched him leave, realizing that he should have said something meaningful, anything, before they parted for what could well be the last time in the world of the living. But it was too late for that now, and besides, his friend was right: he could not afford to waste a single second thinking of what could, or should, have been.

Careful not to make any sound, he grabbed the helmet that lay on the ground at his feet, and pushed his head into it. It was not quite his size, and the pressure of the cold metal hurt his temples, but it fit, and no one would be able to recognize him while wearing it, unless they happened to be looking closely at his eyes. Once this was done, he grabbed the pommel of his long dagger in his right hand, muttering a prayer to Eru up in Heaven to aid them in their endeavour. Then, calculating that Malik must have reached his position by now, he stood on his feet, and left his hiding place.

From then on, many things happened at once, though Isildur’s sense of reality had narrowed down to the most immediate processes. As Malik was spotted approaching the Tree, he could hear the first shouts ring in the empty courtyard. He rushed in their direction, running as if a thousand Orcs were chasing after him. While he ran, he yelled at the Guards to chase after the intruder, trying to pour all his powers of conviction into his voice, and refusing to think of his defenceless friend being chased by armed men. The ruse worked so well that they ran ahead towards the passage to the old Fountain Gardens, which lay buried in shadow and could not be seen from his location. Only one of them stayed behind to guard the Tree, and he was approaching Isildur without even unsheathing his sword, certain that he was having affair to one of his comrades.

“Where on Earth did he come from?” he asked, in a puzzled voice. “And how could he get inside the Palace? What is happening?”

If Isildur had not been in battle mode, he certainly would have regretted slitting his throat, for the man was no enemy of his, only a Palace Guard of the King of Númenor doing his duty. As it was, he rushed to lay the body on the ground, and extract the fine sword he carried from the sheath where it had been kept. The shouts had receded in the distance, and he suddenly came to the realization that he had been left as he was in his dream: alone with the White Tree.

In his visions, he had always been unable to climb it before the waters came to sweep him away, but reality was different. Though he had never been a great climber, the trunk was so old and gnarled that even an eight-year old would have been able to manage it. He looked up, trying to locate his prize, until he found it hanging above his head like a paradox of nature among the bare branches. Even under the half-light of the clouded moon, it seemed to him that it shone with a beautiful silver glow. As he stood there staring at it, the feeling that he had already been there and done this increased, until it threatened to overwhelm his waking senses.

This was not a dream. And if he were to fail, he would not awake in his bed to the sight of Malik making fun of him.

Coming out of his daze, Isildur grabbed the trunk with both hands, and started the climb. The white wood felt solid and oddly comforting under his weight, as if, somehow, the Tree had been awaiting him, and was lending him its own strength. Even when he reached the upper branches, he was not afraid of any of them giving way under his weight. The White Tree would never let him fall.

At last, his hand closed around the large, bulbous fruit, and he marvelled at how hard it was to his touch, though it had looked soft and fragile from below. To cut it from its branch would have felt like sacrilege, if Isildur had not been so certain that this is what he was meant to do.

“Halt! What are you doing?”

Jolted out of his feelings of predestination, the lord of Andúnië’s grandson looked down, to see two of the guards who had left in pursuit of Malik running back towards his location. There was not even the time to guess what this meant for his friend, if he had been caught or had managed to escape; he could only afford to think of himself.

As fast as he could, Isildur hid the fruit of Nimloth inside his clothes, pressed against his chest, and grabbing the branch with both hands he slid down until he was hanging from it. From that position, he released his right hand, which went towards the sword he had just taken from the corpse of the Guard he had killed. He calculated the trajectory, and waited until the men were close enough to jump, land on top of one of them, and use the momentum to deal him a blow across the chest. Wounded, the Guard staggered back, but the other was already on him, and Isildur was still caught in his previous movement so there was no time to adopt a defensive stance. Even worse; as he landed on the floor, pain shot through his leg, and he realized that he must have sprained, perhaps even broken his ankle in the jump.

But this pain was nothing compared to that which he felt as the Guard’s sword slashed his shoulder. Overcome by agony, it was all he could do to retreat from a second blow aimed at his heart, which beat swiftly against the rugged surface of the White Tree’s last fruit. His fierce battle stance lost in a grimace, he moved aside and managed to block the next attack with his sword.

“Get him!”, the wounded man yelled. “He is an accomplice!”

Isildur thought about escape, but he knew that he would never make it past the gates with a limp and another Guard in pursuit. All he could do now was face his opponent, defeat him, and hope that no one else would join them in the meantime. Somehow, the awareness of walking so close to the edge of disaster gave him a renewed strength and purpose. Though he could feel the great gash in his shoulder dripping blood under his clothes, his thrusts and parries were as relentless as they had ever been, and it was not long until he had driven the Guard back. Taking advantage of an opening, he grabbed the dagger with his left hand and sunk it on the man’s flank. With a cry of pain, he fell to his knees first, then face flat to the ground. Isildur moved past him, towards where his wounded companion was trying to struggle into an upright position, swiftly knocking him out with the pommel of his sword.

It was unbearable agony to simply move, let alone walk with a rapidly swollen ankle and a bleeding wound on his shoulder. Isildur knew that it was only a matter of time before the heat of the battle, and the manic energy animating his movements in the face of danger slipped away from his grasp. And once it did, he would fall to the floor like a puppet whose strings had been cut.

Even if it was the last thing he ever did, he had to get out of there before this happened.

Perhaps it was the feel of the stolen fruit against his chest, exerting some kind of beneficial influence over his mind and body, but he managed to endure the pain and limp all the way across the Outer Courtyard to the main gate. Once there, he realized that the gate guards were already aware of what had happened. Luckily, as they saw him arrive, they seemed to assume that he was there to join the chase that the three Guards he had lost, together with some reinforcements from their own number, were leading outside against the slippery intruder who had climbed over the Palace walls.

“You should stay here! You are in no shape for… is that blood?”

Isildur pretended not to hear the voices calling after him and walked on, doing his best to walk as normally as he could. The pain was growing steadily, and for a moment he thought he was going to faint, as the voices inside him blended into an undistinguishable buzz. He bit his tongue so hard that his mouth tasted of blood.

Outside, he heard shouts in the darkness, coming from several directions. Malik was somewhere out there, he thought, chased by those men, perhaps wounded like he was, and probably still unarmed. He had no Guard outfit, no thin veneer of anonymity to hide him from his pursuers. He was tracked and hounded, like a dog, and yet there was nothing Isildur could do to help him in his current state. He should be trying to find a dark alley where he could take off those clothes. He should be pouring all his strength into an effort to reach the Andúnië residence with his prize. He should…

The round stones of the pavement crawled under his feet, as if they were the scales of one of the dragons from the old tales. Suddenly the entire floor began to spin, the only warning he got before he collapsed, and everything went pitch black around him.

 

*      *     *     *     *

 

“Isildur!”

The sky was black above his head, and his ears shook with a menacing rumble. Below his feet, the ground was shifting, and he desperately tried to hold on to something. But there was nothing but a dead stump where the White Tree used to stand, and he could not climb it anymore.

“Isildur. Isildur!”

The voice seemed to be reaching him from a great distance, though he could feel the presence hovering right over him.

“Malik”, he whispered. His voice was hoarse; it did not sound like him at all. “Malik, where are you?”

“I am here. Here, Isildur”, the ghost called. “Come on, look at me!”

A pair of rough hands that did not belong to a disembodied presence grabbed his face, and began shaking it. He tried to escape them, but he could barely move. Slowly, an awareness of his own body, his real body, dawned on him. He was sitting on a hard surface, and his back was propped against another hard surface. His clothes were wet with something warm and viscous, and he was in pain.

“Finally!” Malik was right in front of him, not the ghost Malik, but the real, flesh-and-blood one. As Isildur’s eyes focused on his face, he turned away to stare nervously over his shoulder. “Listen to me, for we do not have much time. You look terrible, and you probably cannot walk, but you have to. Lean on me and pretend to be drunk; that will not be considered anything unusual around here.” He took out his cloak, and wrapped Isildur on it. “There, now they cannot see the blood.”

Standing up, even with Malik doing most of the work, proved an excruciating task. If he had not been saving all his strength for this purpose, Isildur would have cursed in all the tongues of the Island and mainland.

“Wh-where… are they?” he asked. The pavement seemed to be lying at a great distance from his eyes, and this frightened him.

Malik grabbed his arm with one of his, and supported his back with the other, careful not to touch the wounded shoulder. Slowly, yet relentlessly, he began pushing him forwards, and it was all Isildur could do not to pass out again.

“Too close. I have given them the slip, but they are still searching, and if they see you lying here, they will take you back to the Palace and discover your identity.” He paused for a moment, in which all that could be heard was Isildur’s ragged breaths as they trudged on, and the distant sounds of carousing by revellers who were oblivious to the drama unfolding a mere street away from them. “Do you have it?”

Isildur experienced a split second of alarm, before he could feel the fruit of Nimloth still securely pressed against his chest.

“Yes.”

“Good. Because if this has all been for nothing, I swear…”

All of a sudden, Malik’s body tensed against his, and his voice trailed away. After a moment, however, he relaxed and continued walking as if nothing had happened.

“Praised be Eru the Almighty, I thought I heard something.”

“Perhaps they gave up. Perhaps they are… far from here”, Isildur muttered, feeling some of his old spirit come back to him. “S-so far the plan is working, isn’t it? Maybe it wasn’t so badly conceived.”

“Shut up”, Malik hissed. Though he kept his voice low, Isildur was able to detect a great anger simmering underneath, mixed with something else -was it fear? “If you survive this, stay awake all night if you must, but never, ever have another dream!”

Isildur did not answer. The pain made it difficult to come up with an appropriate retort.

As they moved across the empty alley, he could hear the voices of the revellers draw closer. He recognized this as the vicinity of a well-known street with many taverns. If they could reach it, and as long as the blood did not stain the cloak too visibly, they would be hidden in plain sight, two more drunkards among the rabble. They could even make it to the safety of the Andúnië mansion on foot, as it stood in this very hill, quite close from their current location.

“Come on. One last effort”, his friend’s voice encouraged him when he faltered. His ankle had gone numb by now, so he could barely feel it anymore, but the damned shoulder would not do him the same favour. Suddenly, he realized that the blood was beginning to be visible on the cloak as well. How much of it had he lost?

A scream rent the air somewhere nearby, and Malik’s body froze again. Isildur stopped with him. As he began to listen, he could hear more shouts, the noises of a drunken argument, nothing more… but then, the unmistakeable clinking sound of armed men on the march reached his ears, and he froze as well.

“Malik”, he whispered, but his friend was in full possession of his senses, and of course he had heard them before he had. His face was drained of all colour, and even in his state, Isildur could realize what this meant.

They were heading their way.

“We…” We have to hide, was what he was trying to say, but he never managed to reach the second word. His voice died in his throat when Malik grabbed his sword, pulled it out of the scabbard, and removed his supporting weight from under Isildur’s wavering body. Bereaved from his sole anchor, it was all he could do not to fall face flat against the pavement again, but even as he stumbled and wavered, the son of Ashad pushed him against the wall. He groaned in pain.

“W-what...?” he began. Malik shook his head, pointing the sword at his throat. The blade gleamed under the moonlight, and right then, his friend’s lips curved into the most terrible smile Isildur had ever seen.

“Like I said back then, Isildur. We were born at the same time, but we were never meant to die at the same time.” The sword slashed at the air, and as the flat side of the blade impacted against his wounded shoulder, he crumbled to the ground with a scream of agony. “Farewell.”

No. No, no, no, no, his mind reeled, unable to accept it, and yet unable to prevent it, to do anything except lie on the floor as Malik ran past him, and the Palace Guards chased after his retreating form without sparing him a second glance.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Blackness. Numbness. Oblivion. He wanted nothing more than to achieve them all, to leave his self behind and lose all consciousness of who he was. It was so easy now, too: he only had to close his eyes and everything would disappear, like the light of a candle when it was pressed between two fingers.

But he could not. He had to go on. He had to feel the pain, the terror, the crushing weight of all those thoughts he could not even think because his mind would be torn apart if he did.

You must not die, Isildur. You have a great destiny, and you must fulfil it.

“I cannot” he whispered, grabbing an iron bar of the window above him, and trying to pull himself up. “I cannot.”

Are you a coward?

The voice was angry, and he realized belatedly that it belonged to the ghost in his dream. The ghost who would not help him climb, night after night, since he had been a child, not because he did not want to, but because he could not. And now, at last, he understood the true logic of prophecy, the one that a stupid, foolish young man had believed himself wise enough to understand.

Isildur. Isildur, you must not die. You must rise.

“Leave me” he mumbled raggedly. “Leave me alone. I have failed.”

You cannot do that. You cannot die, you coward. If you do, everything will have been in vain.

His grip on the iron bar became stronger, and with a strangled yell, he somehow managed to pull himself up to an erect position. He could not look down; the entire world was spinning.

That is it. You are doing well. Now, keep walking.

But how could he do that? If he let go of his only support, he would fall again.  It was not a matter of resolve anymore: he could not even feel his legs, and his arms were growing weaker by the second. The Andúnië residence was close, but he would never reach it. As soon as he had lost enough blood, he would die, and if the Guards came back they would identify his corpse, and then his family would be in danger because he had failed in his mission. Because he had not been strong enough.

“Not strong enough”, he mumbled. “Sorry.”

But you have been strong. Let go, you are safe now. Lean in here.

Confused, Isildur tried to blink. Why would the ghost say those things to him? Was it the voice of his own desire, telling him to surrender to the darkness that he found so sweet? However it might be, he could not listen to it. He had to listen to Malik.

“Cannot”, he managed to articulate. “Cannot do… that.”

“Yes, you can.” Strong arms grabbed him, and suddenly he realized that he was not alone. His first thought was that Malik was back, that he had somehow managed to survive and escape his pursuers, but it was not his voice. His second thought was more ominous: it was one of the Guards, who had doubled back and found him. He tried to struggle, but fell limp in the man’s arms.

“Help me carry him”, were the last words that he heard before he lost consciousness.

The Sacrifice

Read The Sacrifice

Amandil forced himself to blink, in an attempt to alleviate the pain in his eyes. He had been staring into the flickering light of the lamp for so long that they had gone entirely dry, and felt like strange appendixes which did not belong to his own body.

“I do not understand. Why would they do something like this?”

Inside the room, Isildur was tossing and turning on the bed. It had been impossible to reanimate him, no matter how they tried, but even in this state he was remarkably sensitive to any sound and movement around him. Now and then, he would say things aloud, things that seemed to make no sense when one tried to string them together, but which always had something to do with the son of Ashad.

“Isildur has been having a dream since he was a child. That dream told him to save the White Tree, and he believed that the time to fulfil it had come. But he failed to understand the price he would have to pay, until it was too late.” Númendil shook his head sadly. “And not only him.”

The lord of Andúnië followed his glance towards the bent figure of Ilmarë, who was sitting by Isildur’s sickbed with her back to them. Her shoulders were hunched and her head bowed, and she had not said a word since he was there. Amandil suspected many things, but in his current state it was proving harder than ever to turn them into certainties. They kept chasing one another from his mind, one half-formed thought replacing another until he was left feeling like a halfwit, who lived in a state of perpetual daze.

“You knew”, he frowned, trying to hold on to this idea before it, too, disappeared. “You sent people after Isildur because you knew he was in danger.”

“I felt his danger and acted, yes”, Númendil replied simply. Some part of Amandil knew that he should not consider this a satisfactory answer, that he should keep probing until he had the whole truth. But he was unable to do this now.

The fruit of Nimloth, the object which had triggered those events, lay before them in a crystal vase. It had been cleaned of the blood covering it when they tore it from Isildur’s clothes, revealing a whitish, rugged skin underneath. Perhaps it was nothing but Amandil’s imagination, but he could have sworn that it was turning grey, and acquiring new wrinkles every time that he gazed upon it.

“Will a… new White Tree grow from this?” he asked, trying to convey by his voice how unlikely he found that possibility. Númendil lowered his glance.

“I cannot see that. This is Isildur’s dream; only he could make it come true.”

“If he lives”, Amandil spoke in a low tone, as if he did not want to hear himself. The heat in Isildur’s skin had been rising; which meant that infection was setting in, and there was no telling how his body would react to it after he had lost that much blood.

Suddenly, he felt a new wave of feverish activity take hold of him, and he stood up. “Elendil must know about this.”

“I will tell him.” Anárion nodded swiftly, robbing him of his opportunity of doing something useful. Perhaps it was better this way, a voice whispered in the back of his mind. Though his grandson had acted on his own, he would still have yielded to the temptation of feeling responsible for what had happened.

Amalket would certainly have known who to blame, the thought came to him, his stomach sinking as he imagined her worry and her fury. You promised that they would be safe. You promised, and yet you lied to me again.

“Malik”. Isildur grew agitated, probably at the sound of footsteps in his vicinity. Ilmarë tensed, and leaned forwards as if she wanted to make sure she would not miss a single word of his ramblings. “Malik, no!”

“What happened?” she asked, as if her brother could hear and respond normally to her query. When she did not get an answer, she grabbed his head with her hands, and forced it to face her. “Isildur, what happened to Malik? Where is he?”

“Ilmarë, stop!” Amandil was shocked at this behaviour; her voice was as sharp and shrill as that of an interrogator, and she was hurting him. But she did not even seem to register his words.

“You… have…. to tell me”, she droned on, the middle part of the sentence almost descending into a hiss. “Now.”

He stood up, ready to remove the injured man from her clutches before his state could worsen. As he walked towards the bedside, however, he froze in his tracks when he heard Isildur answer. His voice was weak, almost impossible to hear from his location, and yet, for the first time, it did not sound delirious.

“H-he was… taken.”

After that, his eyes were closed, and his head drooped to the side. Ilmarë quickly let him lie back on the pillow, as if his skin burned her. Then, she turned back, and for the first time in those terrible hours, she sought his glance.

“He is alive.”

“We do not know…” he began, almost mechanically, but she shook her head before he could even finish his sentence.

“He is alive. I know it.” The pronouncement was so shocking that at any other time he would have challenged it. In this new reality, however, there was no longer a place for such unnecessary conversations. “You have to save him. He protected Isildur, and now you have to save him!”

Years ago, as they were relocating the refugees in Arne, Amandil remembered experiencing a moment of doubt when he saw Ilmarë and the son of Ashad together. Later happenings had banished this concern from his mind, and he had not acted upon it, a great mistake whose extent he was just beginning to fathom. Even in normal circumstances, he would never have wanted her to spend half of her life in mourning, as so many others in their family had.

Now, however, he was faced with the truth that Ilmarë had not merely walked to meet this doom, but ran towards it, with the rash intensity that only the young could feel burning inside them. The trap had closed its jaws around her, and her whole life hung on the balance.

All because of a cruel dream. Of a Providence unable to care for its discarded tools. Of the foolishness of three mindless youngsters, and the infinitely guiltier foolishness of one who was not young anymore, and should have listened to Amandil’s warnings. And, above all, because of that accursed demon, the enemy of Númenor whom he had helped to bring here.

If Malik had been caught alive, it was unlikely that he would survive for long in those circumstances. Unless he was kept alive for information, the cold thought insinuated itself into his mind. If his family was successfully implicated in this treasonous act, there was no way of knowing what might happen.

Then again, Ar Pharazôn had seen Malik before. They were already implicated.

“Malik…” Isildur groaned in his sleep again, as if echoing his thoughts. “Malik, no, no…”

There is nothing you can do, the evil voice whispered mockingly. You can change nothing, and save no one.

“I will try”, he said, trying to affect an air of reassurance which he was very far from feeling. How did his father manage to do it? “I will try to save him.”

Ilmarë’s eyes were glazed with tears, and her hands began to shake. Out of a sudden instinct, he pulled her into an embrace, and as she surrendered to it, he could feel her body trembling against his.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“I said I would not meet with him. Why are you asking me again?”

The Chamberlain lowered his head apologetically.

“Because he asked again, my lord King. My duty is to bring to your attention all the messages that…”

“Your duty, as of now, is to tell the lord of Andúnië that I will summon him when I have need of him, and that he should stop pestering me in the meantime.”

“I understand, my lord King.” The man nodded, but he did not retreat from his presence. Wondering if everyone around him could be conspiring to provoke him as much as possible, Ar Pharazôn frowned.

“What is it now?”

“He…” The man swallowed when their eyes met briefly. “He left a letter this time.”

A letter. It figured.

“Give it to me, then. And leave.”

He gave it a cursory glance, enough to distinguish the quirks of Amandil’s handwriting, but he was in no mood to read it. Leaving it on top of a lacquered table, he stormed out of the room.

How dare he? Pharazôn did not need audiences or letters to know what the lord of Andúnië wanted from him. Of course, he wanted his grandson’s precious friend back. The Palace grounds had been violated, at least two Guards killed, the White Tree desecrated, and this Malik had let himself be caught to prevent his accomplice from being discovered. Even more, for a whole day and night he had held out stubbornly and refused to yield any information about said accomplice, its identity, whereabouts, or implication in this crime. He may have been born in Númenor, but he was every inch as insane as the maddest of his barbarian ancestors. Not that Pharazôn himself needed to hear him talk to know who was behind this, and of course Amandil knew it as much as he did.

That was why he should have been lying low with his family. That was why he should not be saying, writing, breathing a single word. That was why he should remain silent for once in his wretched life.

Zimraphel’s doors were shut, and one of her ladies came forth to tell him that she was not feeling well. It was the second time that she had proved inaccessible to him since this affair started, and considering how problematic her pregnancy had become, he supposed that it was for the best, though he felt her absence quite acutely. He could not be sure that her brand of insight would avail him much in this situation, but at least she was the only far-sighted person that he could trust.

Unlike him.

“There you are, my lord King.” The demon smiled, as if he had been paying him a social call. “I see I was right. The lord of Andúnië was not going to surrender so easily.”

On the day they had debated -fought might be a more appropriate term- the fate of the White Tree in the Council, the Northwestern lord had been more insolent than ever. He had thrown all politeness, all caution to the winds, even standing at the brink of openly accusing Pharazôn of listening to the Dark Lord’s counsel. Before he made that fatal slip, however, it was Pharazôn himself who had ended the session, and adjourned the debate for a much later date where the Tree would no longer exist. Sauron had claimed that he should have let Amandil incriminate himself; that being silenced would merely force the lord of Andúnië to change his plans and find a subtler way to thwart him. But in spite of what Amandil himself thought, Sauron was not his political advisor. Pharazôn had reluctantly agreed to listen to his counsel in this one thing because he would leave nothing untried to make sure that Zimraphel and their child did not come to harm, and he had never shared the late King’s reverential attachment for a piece of wood. But this did not mean that he would heed him in everything else.

Even if it turned out that he had the infuriating ability of being right.

“There is no proof that the lord of Andúnië was directly involved in this.”

“His grandson is dying as we speak.”

“What?” Instinctively, Pharazôn drew closer to the bars of his cell. “Isildur, you mean?”

Sauron nodded, the barest trace of smug satisfaction in his lips.

“He was grievously wounded fighting your Guards. It is unlikely that he will live much longer. If you send your men to the Andúnië mansion, they will see it for themselves.”

Pharazôn reflected briefly upon this new, troubling information. If he was to be completely honest, he had never wished any harm upon his childhood friend’s family. But whether Amandil had chosen to risk his grandson’s life for his cause, or his grandson had decided to risk it himself, together with his foolish friend, the consequences for their actions could not be laid at his doorstep. In fact, perhaps it was better if it happened like this. He would not have to investigate the issue further, and yet Amandil would be too broken by the loss of his grandson to defy him again.

“You are merciful indeed, my lord.”

He did not know if it was because of the strain of the last days, or because he had felt attacked in what he knew, deep inside, to be his weaker spot, but he saw red at those words.

“How dare you mock me, you vermin!”

“I have offended you, my apologies”, Sauron spoke as if he had broken a rule of protocol or got one of his titles wrong, not as if he had just called him weak to his face. Or had it been his own conscience, what had come up with that word? “Actually, I was thinking that this situation may be a blessing in disguise. For if you wish, my lord King, I can finally prove to you here and now that everything I have told you until this day is nothing but the truth.”

Pharazôn stared, unsure of what he was talking about.

“Do you remember my words about sacrifice?” As if he could ever forget. Sauron smiled at his reluctant nod. “Well, here it is, my lord King, performed for your illustration. Do you not see? The half-breed whom your men caught last night, the one Lord Amandil wants back, sacrificed himself to save his friend.”

He frowned, still not sure that he had understood.

“What kind of proof is this? In order to be proof, shouldn’t it have worked?”

“There is no stronger sacrifice than giving away one’s body and soul. This is how it has always been, since the beginning of Time, and now you, too, can be witness to its power.” Sauron continued, as if he had not even heard him. His clear eyes were darkened, as those of a mortal might when experiencing pangs of agony or the throes of desire. “Prepare the Palace Chapel, let me leave this prison only for a moment, and I will show you.”

Ar Pharazôn shivered.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He sent the Chamberlain himself with a brief message, one that he had scribbled without even reading what Amandil had sent. As he was a fellow councilman, the lord of Andúnië would have no excuse to deny him entrance. And since he was carrying a message sent by the King, the entire family would have to be present.

Malik was in quite a pitiful state by the time they came for him. The Palace Guards blamed him for the death of their comrades, which meant that they had gone out of their way to have their revenge. They had to drag him because he could barely move anymore, and his face was almost unrecognizable, swollen and beaten to a bloody pulp. Still, he had enough Haradric madness left in him to remain defiant, even though he had to be aware that this was the end.

“For the last time, will you say who was with you that night?” Pharazôn asked, more because he was intent on following every procedure than because he thought it could work. “If you tell me, I will let you go.”

The wretched man laughed; an unpleasant, gurgling sound that grated on the nerves.

“Are y-you t-the K-king of Númenor?” he articulated, with great effort. “M-my g-randfather was k-killed by your p-people. I w-was trying t-to avenge h-him.”

Pharazôn shook his head. Of all things to come up with…

“We both know that you are lying. Tell me the truth.”

The prisoner spat at his feet. He raised an eyebrow.

“As you wish.”

They dragged him to the Palace Chapel, which had been vacated even by its very reluctant priests, in accordance with his orders. The sacred fire was burning in the altar, and Sauron was already there, standing behind it. It was the first time in three years that he had been let out of his confinement, and a powerful energy seemed to be crackling just beneath the surface of his mortal appearance, animating each and every one of his movements with a sense of triumphal purpose. It might have been the effect of the heat on his skin, but his features even looked flushed, Pharazôn realized as he approached him. Not for the first moment, he experienced a sinking feeling, wondering if he was doing the right thing.

But you already know that this is not the right thing, a voice whose owner he was no longer able to identify whispered in the back of his mind. The only question left is whether you can still remain in control of it. Can you do that, Ar Pharazôn King of Men?

“Hurry”, he said. Sauron nodded, going through the steps of preparation for the ritual just like the Númenórean priests did. The only difference was that, instead of the prayers that they used to chant, he began muttering words in a language that Pharazôn could not understand. Even the Guards who were holding Malik were staring at him in deep unease now.

“I am not cursing you, my lord King”, the demon said, as if he had guessed their collective thoughts. “I will pray in your own tongue, so your suspicions are eased.”

His words, after that, became very similar to the litanies of the Armenelos temple, though they were not quite the same as any of them, just like the prayers of any of the Four Great Temples would diverge from one another. At some point, Melkor was addressed as “Great Deliverer” which was something that Pharazôn had never heard anywhere in a Númenórean ceremony, though it was a popular epithet among certain tribes of the mainland. The tribes with a worst reputation for ferocity, he belatedly realized, those who sacrificed their enemies to the god.

Meanwhile, Malik leaned against his captors as if in a daze. When he was taken to the altar and Sauron approached him, however, his eyes flew wide open. His expression was a mixture of loathing and fear, and yet, somehow, there was also the tiniest sliver of fascination in his gaze.

“So you are Sauron”, he said, his voice slurring but somehow able to articulate better than before. He tried to look past him, until his swollen eyes found Pharazôn. “He rules Númenor now?”

The King swallowed, until he regained his full composure.

I am the ruler of Númenor. You have committed treason against the Sceptre, killed two men, and wilfully refused to surrender valuable information about your accomplices. And the penalty for that is death.”

The younger man nodded with difficulty, apparently decided to keep his defiant façade to the very end. Pharazôn remembered the late General of Umbar, Barekbal, complaining about him and Isildur, their insolence and their foolhardy stunts. One day they will go too far, he had grumbled sententiously.

Well, they had. And now, this one would die for it. The manner of his death was irrelevant, it might as well serve to prove a theory. It was not like he could use any innocent man for that purpose. And if Sauron was right, the wretched man’s death would even achieve what he had been trying to do since the beginning, to save the other fool’s life.

“Human sacrifice”, Malik spat, letting go of that gurgling laughter again. “Did you conquer my father’s people, or did they conquer you?”

“That is enough. You,” he hissed at Sauron, who looked on with a perfect mask of indifference. “Do it now, and be quick about it.”

“As you wish, my lord King.”

With his keen immortal senses, he might have realized that Pharazôn was at the verge of calling the whole thing off, because he obeyed immediately. With precise, yet inhumanly strong movements, he prepared the knife, manoeuvred the man until he was lying against the altar, his neck bare and exposed, and sunk the blade into his throat. Malik’s body tensed, then went gradually limp as the jet of blood flowed into the sacrificial basin.

“And now?” His voice was perfectly casual, but at the same time, it did not feel like his own. “What happens now?”

While he was still talking, Sauron tipped the basin, letting the blood trickle into the fire. Wisps of a pungent-smelling dark smoke rose from it, and the prayers started again, this time with greater intensity and speed. Suddenly, before he could open his mouth again to ask about this rite, the corpse was pushed from the altar, and it fell into the sacred fire with a dull thud, as if it had been a bull carcass in one of the temple ceremonies. Gasps of shock reached his ears, from where the Guards had been staring at the proceedings in horrified fascination.

Pharazôn did not say a word. For a while, he merely stood there, watching as the body was engulfed by the roaring flames, releasing an ugly black smoke that first shot upwards, until it reached the painted ceiling, and then began filling the entire chapel. The Guards retreated, gasping and coughing, and even he had to walk a few steps backwards, covering his mouth with his palm and blinking tears away from his eyes. The stench was disgusting; similar to the smell released by the burning of sacrificial animals, and yet there was something else in it, something -fouler.

Sauron smiled.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil walked on, his world shrunk to the size of the fraction of the floor he was treading. One step, then another, and then another. This litany filled his mind, and so far it had managed to prevent it from breaking in a hundred pieces.

The Palace courtier had finally departed, after sticking his nose everywhere and pretending to be so concerned for Isildur’s state that he would not rest until he was allowed into his room and saw the terrible fever with his own eyes. If Amandil had let him, he would have pulled the covers to see the bandages stained with blood, and run back to the King with accusations of treachery. But there were things that he would not allow even a royal envoy to do in his own house. If Ar Pharazôn wanted proof of Isildur’s agony, he would have to come and see it by himself.

But the King would not come. The times when such a thing could happen were now firmly behind either of them. That friendship had first turned into cold ceremony, and after Isildur foolishly broke the fragile peace he had tried to maintain with the Sceptre, chasing after his dream, they had finally become enemies.

Enemies. The very word he had been trying to avoid for all those years, the curse haunting the steps of every lord of Andúnië since generations before he was born. Though he was supposed to admire and revere them, some part of Amandil had always considered his ancestors to be fools who had picked the wrong side in a war, condemning their descendants to a bitter fate of exile and persecution. For the greatest part of his life, he had been trying not to be like them, only for his efforts to be proved vain in a single night. Now, he almost thought he could hear the laughter of the dead ringing in his ears.

You cannot be Faithful and compromise with evil, their voices spoke in his mind. The pride which led you to believe that you could stand with your feet planted in both worlds was nothing but foolishness, and you a coward at heart, barking like a tethered dog who tries to appear brave. You would even have tried to sit in the same table as Sauron, the Dark Enemy of the World, nodding politely while the King laughed at his jokes.

Ever rash, Isildur had been the one to strike the first blow in his war, and now he could well become its first casualty. Or rather the second, he thought, with a pang of grief and frustration growing in his chest. It was the sight of Ilmarë’s tears, and the realization of what they had been to each other, what had pushed him to forego the most basic caution and plead for Malik’s life, though his rational side was aware that it was the last thing that someone in his position should have done. Pharazôn’s reply had been short and to the point.

I know who else was there that night. If you value your life and that of your kin, do not meddle any further.

Now, Malik’s fate was sealed, and the King’s men were circling his house like vultures, perhaps wondering how long it would take for Isildur to die as well. His throat too dry to even swallow, Amandil stopped by his grandson’s sickbed. Númendil had left mere moments ago, and while he was there he had laid the vase carrying the fruit of Nimloth on a low table at the foot of the bed. Its white colour, and the greyish streaks crisscrossing it as it appeared to shrivel further and further with each passing hour mirrored the sickly look of Isildur’s face.

This is Isildur’s dream; only he could make it come true, his father had said. And Isildur’s dream was dying with him, leaving nothing in its wake but desolation and futility.

Suddenly feeling the familiar wish to yell and break things, Amandil sat by the side of the bed, and laid a hand on Isildur’s forehead. Though it seemed as if the young man’s skin had lost all colour, it still felt hot to the touch. The bandages were drenched in blood; perhaps Númendil had forgotten to have them changed, or perhaps changing them was no use because the wound would not close.

As he felt the weight of the hand on his face, Isildur stirred, and his mouth began forming words. Amandil leaned forward in an attempt to make sense of his ramblings, though, so far, this had proved even more futile than trying to stop the bleeding.

Just when he was about to give up, Isildur’s body suddenly tensed in a violent spasm. Amandil stood on his feet, his heart beating fast, wondering if those could be the throes of death. But then, the grey eyes flew open.

“Malik”, he said, and he could hear his voice clearly now. “Malik, no!”

Amandil leaned over him, his hands all over his face again, trying to quieten him down without disturbing his wounds. To his shock, Isildur’s skin had become cool to the touch, and his first thought was that he had died, and the body was going cold because the heart was not pumping blood anymore. But when he found the pulse, steady and even, he began to realize that something very different had just happened.

Isildur’s fever was gone. Slowly, colour trickled back into his face, and his tortured breath became as regular as his heartbeat, the sound that a normal man would make when fast asleep.

A sweet scent pervaded the room, covering the acrid smell of blood and medicine. Turning back, as if compelled by a strong invisible force, Amandil looked at the vase lying on Númendil’s table. There, the White Tree’s last fruit had cracked in two, and the most beautiful flower he had ever seen grew in the middle, hanging from a tender white stalk.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The following day, he finally judged himself ready to summon the lord of Andúnië to the Palace. The interview took place in Ar Gimilzôr’s audience room, though Pharazôn ordered everyone to leave it before it began. A part of him wondered why he was acting like this, foregoing a private meeting and yet sending all witnesses away, as if his soul was torn between the unspeakable fear of facing this man alone and the no less unspeakable fear of being heard and judged by others. Ar Pharazôn the Golden did not know fear: he had triumphed over each and every one of his enemies, taken risks that would have made others quake, and never hesitated before embarking on a new path, no matter how dark and winding, if he could see a chance for victory looming ahead. Now, he was standing there as the King of Númenor and the victor of Mordor, and Amandil as nothing but a traitor. If anyone should be afraid, it was him.

“How is Isildur?” he asked. He was aghast at the impatience, the trepidation betrayed by his own tone, but Amandil did not give any signs of having noticed. Slowly, he raised his glance.

“He is well. His sickness has passed, my lord King.”

Pharazôn swallowed with difficulty. So he had been right. Sauron had not lied to him about this. Though he tried to remain firmly attuned to the here and now, his mind escaped his grasp for an instant, running wild as the possibilities for his future, and that of Númenor, began coalescing into a myriad of shapes before his eyes. If anything was possible, if he could change the outcome of events at will, then death and defeat were no longer a possibility. And if they were not….

Is that not the greatest of all freedoms, to be always in control of one’s fate?

He shook his head, as if to dispel a cloud which had suddenly gathered before his sight. Amandil was there, his accursed grey eyes scrutinizing him as if looking for proof of his guilt. As if it was Pharazôn who had done something wrong.

“If I may inquire…”

He shook his head, his countenance growing harder.

“No. You may not.” He stood on his feet, but quenched his impulse to just walk towards him. “You do not seem to be aware of the gravity of the situation.”

“I am, my lord King.” Amandil still betrayed nothing. “The young man who was caught foolishly trespassing on the Palace is the youngest son of a boy I once raised myself. He is almost like another grandson to me. There is nothing I would leave untried…”

Was this his tactic? To pretend that Malik had acted on his own accord, and demand his release?

“Save your breath. He is dead.”

For the first time, he was graced by a small show of emotion, but just as fast as it had come it was gone again. Just like a courtier.

“May I… be allowed to have his remains then? His family would wish to bury them in his homeland.”

“There are no remains. They were burned.” He breathed deeply, not wanting to think of why he felt as if he was lying. “As it is the custom of his people.”

The furrow in Amandil’s brow was small but noticeable.

“Malik was a Númenórean.”

“That is not what he claimed, himself”, Pharazôn retorted. “He seemed very intent in misleading me about his background and purpose. As if he was trying to direct my suspicions away from his… other connections.”

Amandil’s brief foray into the demeanour and restraint of a courtier was over at this.

“If you wish to accuse me of being implicated in this sad business, there is no reason why you should hide it behind veiled insinuations, my lord King. But let me submit this for your consideration. If I was guilty of what you accuse me of, would I have pleaded for this man’s life? Would I be here now, exposing myself in this way?”

Pharazôn had to admit he was surprised at this show of nerve, though that did not exactly improve his mood.

“You mean that you cannot be guilty because you do not act guilty. But, what if you do not believe yourself to be guilty at all? What did you say in the last Council session, when we were debating about that wretched piece of wood? That, by burning the White Tree, I would be burning three thousand years of tradition, breaking ties with my hallowed ancestors and forfeiting Heaven’s protection of Númenor and its royal line.” His voice had been raised a little too much, and it reverberated on the mosaic-filled walls. “That very night, one of the men who live under your roof is caught stealing the fruit of the White Tree, kills two Guards, and refuses to name his accomplices. And now you would try to have me believe that you had nothing to do with it? How much of a fool do you think I am?”

Amandil’s cheeks flushed in anger.

“I swear I had nothing to do with it. I am a member of the Council and the lord of the Andustar, how much of a fool do you think I am?” He regained his composure. “Those who are close to me may have heard me complain about it, and a reckless man like Malik might have decided to act on his own. Had he come to me, as he should, I would never have condoned such a thing!”

“And of those close to you, only this Malik would be reckless enough to attempt such a deed! No one else was with him, and yet the stolen fruit was not found on him when he was captured. There was no sign of it anywhere. All we could find was this, lying on the Outer Courtyard next to a Guard whose throat had been slit.”

At these words, Pharazôn produced the ceremonial dagger which Isildur had been carrying the day he attended the Council session in the Palace. It had not been cleaned since it was found, and there were traces of caked blood both in the hilt and the surface of the blade.

Amandil sobered at the sight, but he still did not give signs of surrendering. Of course, he was too damn stubborn for that.

“Yes, that dagger belongs to my grandson Isildur. But he was too ill to have been anywhere near the Palace that night. Malik must have taken it. They shared everything, as they were brothers in everything but in blood.”

Pharazôn could not remember the last time he had felt such rage, thrumming on his ears, filtering through his bloodstream, coalescing like a red veil before his eyes.

“Be quiet! Do you wish me to enter your house, drag your grandson away from his sickbed and examine his body for the wounds that caused this ‘illness’ you speak about? Do you wish me to search until I find the stolen fruit of the White Tree, hidden away in some closed chamber? Do you truly think, Amandil, that you can prevail in this battle, alone and unarmed as you are against a host of arguments and evidence?”

“As you wish, my lord King. If you consider me a traitor, then I am a traitor.” Amandil did not lower his glance for a moment, and Pharazôn realized belatedly that, in spite of his words, he still did not see himself as guilty. “I am the son and grandson of traitors, the descendant of exiles and rebels. It appears that I cannot escape this fate.”

So he was blaming fate. Or rather, blaming him, the King realized with a jolt, for accusing and suspecting his family just like the other kings had done to his ancestors – and just as unfairly, his tone seemed to be implying. The nerve.

“The White Tree belongs to the King of Númenor. You had no right to question or oppose the decision to burn it, whether you agreed with it or not. Just as you have no right to judge every single decision, every choice I make, as if you were the appointed representative of your Baalim on Earth. I have indulged this for too long, for the sake of our ancient friendship, and your pride has grown overbearing enough to resort to something like this”, he said, his voice purposefully quiet and slow. “But no longer. You will have no leave to oppose me anymore. You will not speak against me in the Council, and you will not question a single one of my decisions. I will not hear another raised word, another insolence from your lips again. And you will do this because I have evidence that your grandson attacked the Palace Guards and committed treason, and this evidence can make you join the ranks of your dispossessed, persecuted and exiled ancestors before the sun has even set on the very day you broke this pact. Do you understand?”

Of all the reactions he was expecting from Amandil, chuckling bitterly had not been among the most evident.

“I see. You do not need to be able to trust someone anymore. Universal fear and obedience are so much more rewarding. Did the prisoner from Mordor advise you on that?” Before Pharazôn opened his mouth, all traces of humour disappeared from his countenance, and for once in his life, he gave him a long, purely beseeching look. “I know I have no right to expect you to listen to me, but please, do not listen to him. He only wants the ruin of Númenor! He will try to manipulate you to act against your own interests and hurt your people. Back when we were in Middle Earth you knew this, do not let him erase this knowledge from your mind!”

Pharazôn looked down, a feeling of disorientation getting hold of him. As they both stood in that great hall, he with the dagger in his hands and Amandil standing before him, with no hint of a sound or movement in the long expanse of obsidian that surrounded them, he felt himself taken by a sort of feverish dream. The black floor’s solid weight was dissolving under their feet, turning into a chasm which yearned to engulf them, and his mind was assailed by an onslaught of memories, of the only vision he had ever seen. He had been standing in the middle of a raging battlefield, facing a black ghost whose faceless glare was fixed on him. As Pharazôn’s eyes met the red gleam, he had seen walls crumbling, cities foundering, a black cloud engulfing the Island, heavy with the lingering stench of countless sacrifices -and, last but not least, he had seen himself, falling down a precipice of unnamed dread.

You will lead mankind to its greatest defeat in thousands of years.

He breathed deeply, trying to struggle back to the present. The cold that ran through his veins belonged to the past, to those memories of struggling in the grip of the fell spirit who cloaked himself with fear to use it as a weapon against his enemies. But he had conquered it, and in victory, he had felt warm again.

He would feel warm again now, too. As soon as he freed his mind from the snares of that fell magic, he would feel solid ground beneath his feet. But for this, he realized in a burst of clarity, Amandil had to go, and this did not merely mean removing his physical presence from his vicinity at that moment. The Amandil in his mind, the Amandil who remained in his conscience, whose grey eyes scrutinized his countenance second-guessing, suspecting, raising questions, agitating fears and judging his actions had to leave as well. Of the two, he was the greater enemy.

“Go, now. And take this thing with you.” Amandil’s eyes widened when he saw Pharazôn offering the dagger to him. At first, he would not even extend his hand to receive it, as if afraid that it was some sort of trap, but Pharazôn himself pressed it against his grip.

“I do not understand.” The lord of Andúnië looked quite disconcerted now. “You said that you would hold to it as evidence.”

“Yes, I might have said that. But I was rambling”, Pharazôn shrugged. “In truth, there is no reason for me to keep it, as there is no reason for me to blackmail you. And do you know why? Because I am the King of Númenor. Did my grandfather need any proof when he sent your family into exile? Did he gather evidence before he had you taken away from them?” At long last, he could detect some evidence of dismay in Amandil’s features, and he went on, relentlessly. “As you put it yourself, if I say you are a traitor, then you are a traitor, and the whole Island will trust my word. No one will hear your defence, as clever as it may be, or demand proof, and not merely because they will be too afraid to challenge me and share in your disgrace. You are the leader of the Baalim-worshippers, Amandil, and everybody has distrusted your family for generations. No one will believe in your innocence, for, to them, you have been a traitor since the day you were born.”

The lord of Andúnië’s face looked like that of a soldier who had lost a lot of blood on the battlefield. Just like Isildur had looked the previous day, according to the Chamberlain, before Pharazôn ironically saved his life.

Would Amandil have been self-righteous enough to let him die, if he had known the price?

“I understand”, he said, his voice practically a whisper. “And I am grateful for your honesty, my lord King. It is good and helpful to know one’s standing.”

“You are dismissed, Lord Amandil.”

You are merciful indeed, my lord. The quiet mockery in Sauron’s face swam briefly in his mind’s eye as he watched his childhood friend walk away, making him flinch as if he had been slapped. Anger stirred in his chest again, this time focused at himself.

Was he too weak, after all? If Amandil had been anyone else, he would not have wasted his time with threats, for no one would have walked away unscathed from something like this. But Amandil was not merely an old friend: there had been many debts, powerful debts, binding them together for most of their lives. As far as Pharazôn was concerned, the last of them had been paid now.

And if Amandil threw away the last chance they had of coexisting peacefully, not even all the Baalim in the West would be able to protect him from his wrath.

Death and Rebirth

Read Death and Rebirth

Ladies and gentlemen, this is chapter number 100! I cannot believe I managed to get here, and even less that some people are still with me. Thank you very much for reading, and especially thanks to those who have reviewed this thing since 2007.

 

 

 

 

 

Death and Rebirth

 

                                                                                                  

 

 

 

The Queen went into labour a month earlier than expected.

 

Amandil did not know of this until the royal messenger came to his house. In the last weeks there had been no summons, no Council meetings, nothing but a heavy, impenetrable silence, all the more ominous for his memories of what had transpired the last time he crossed the threshold of the Palace. He had tried to perform his daily duties without letting his mind wander towards dark places, even done his best to lead the household back into a semblance of normalcy, a pretence which would shatter into a thousand pieces the moment he looked into Isildur or Ilmarë’s eyes. But the longer this waiting period, this grey limbo between the fall and the bottom of the precipice stretched before his sight, the harder it became for him to keep his composure intact. Almost every day, he needed to escape the prying glances of others and flee to the privacy of his study, or to the porch that gave to the courtyard where he and Pharazôn had met so often in the past. There, he would give free rein to his anxiety, pacing like a caged beast, or engaging in a swift and fierce brand of sword practice as the air around him became twisted into a sea of faces, hateful and leering.

 

Back when he was a boy, practicing swordsmanship in secret in the gardens of the Temple of Melkor, he had seen those faces too. He remembered how they had vanished as he ran his makeshift sword through them, only to creep up on him in the dark as soon as he lowered his guard. He had been a scared child, determined to learn how to stand his ground against those who wanted to harm him and his family. And now, more than a hundred years later, after many campaigns against the enemies of Númenor, countless political manoeuvres and alliances, and three grandchildren who had grown to adulthood in safety and privilege, he was that child again. The faces were still waiting for him in the dark, and no matter how hard he fought, the moment that his guard was lowered he knew that the strike would come.

 

You are the leader of the Baalim-worshippers, Amandil, and everybody has distrusted your family for generations. No one will believe in your innocence, for, to them, you have been a traitor since the day you were born.

 

How ironic, he thought, that the same person who had once helped him to dispel those grisly visions should stand among them now, as one of their number. But then again, Ar Pharazôn the Golden had never been one to hesitate before pressing his blade against an unprotected flank. Even before the accursed demon began haunting his steps and whispering poison in his ear, Amandil had seen proof of just how ruthless he could be when his interests were threatened.

 

The Númenóreans who commit treason against the Sceptre are not my people. They are my enemies. And if they choose to fight me, I could not care less if they were born in the Palace Hill of Armenelos or in the farthest tribe of Harad, he had said, back when they stood in the frozen passes of Forostar before the corpses of the Lord of Sorontil and his heir. Amandil should have known back then, and a part of him had, though he had refused to listen to it. Just as he had refused to heed the warnings when he joined the Mordor expedition and tried, against all odds, to prevent what, even then, he should have realized was inevitable.

 

There is nothing you can do, that horrible mockery of a fair face laughed at him. All you ever did, you and your grandson and his foolish friend, was to do my work for me. He will never listen to anything you have to say again, and if you lift a single finger to oppose him, you will be destroyed together with your family.

 

“The ceremony will be held tomorrow in the New Temple, from midday to midnight. The King requests your presence, my lord, so you can join your voices in prayer for the welfare of the Queen and her child.”

 

Amandil nodded gravely.

 

“Tell the King that I will be there.”

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

A cunning, treacherous being like Sauron would look for weaknesses in his targets, so he could bend them more easily to his will. And what greater weakness could there be, Amandil thought as he stood close to the roaring fires of the great altar of Ar Pharazôn’s god, than to know that one’s wife and child were in danger? Ar Zimraphel had miscarried a few years ago, and there were malicious rumours claiming that there had been more instances of this in the past, even back when she was still another man’s wife. The King had never spoken of it, or acknowledged other people’s concerns that he should have an heir. Whether it was before, during, or after the Mordor campaign, he had behaved as if he was the Eternal King, instead of merely his embodiment on Earth. Gods needed no heirs, for they could not be killed nor touched by the frost of old age, and their rule could never falter.

 

Pharazôn had always claimed to believe anything that he needed others to believe. The strength of his own conviction was the touchstone upon which all his schemes and enterprises were tested, and if it was not strong enough, he would take it as a sign that they were bound to fail. But at the end of the day, he had to be aware that he was not a god, and in the bitter hours of the night, Amandil could imagine him surrendering, despite his best efforts, to the unthinkable snares of anguish and doubt.

 

Back when they were still on friendly terms, the lord of Andúnië had sometimes been allowed to catch glimpses of these struggles. But as he grew older, Pharazôn had also grown more adept at hiding what he did not wish him to see, and less ready to trust others with any sign of weakness. After the Mordor campaign, they had become strangers to each other, and even that level of honesty was no longer an option. If only Amandil had made a stronger effort to hold on to his position, if he had not surrendered all claims to their ancient friendship in that accursed moment of despair, he would have been there when Pharazôn became aware that Zimraphel’s life and the future of his line hung from a thread. And then, perhaps his old friend would have confided in him, instead of seeking reassurance in Sauron’s lies. Amandil could see it with a clarity that was all the more agonizing for its futility: Sauron must have promised the King what he so desperately needed in exchange for his trust, and now, he would go as far as to seal this pact with the demise of the White Tree.

 

You left the field to me. You surrendered, and now all you can do is watch from the sidelines, a pitiful coward unable to fight for what he believes in.

 

Trying to silence the mocking voice in his head was proving harder than ever, especially as he watched the preparations for the sacrifice in horrified fascination. Amandil had stood countless times in the obsidian hall of the Old Temple, and a thousand years would not be enough to forget every step and ritual which had been drilled into his head by the priests. And yet, this sacrifice seemed unlike those he had attended in his youth. Someone might have considered it a trick of his feverish imagination, but he could feel the smoke released by Nimloth’s hewn trunk gathering in his lungs like the poisonous air of Mordor. Back in the Old Temple, the fumes of the fire sacrifices had been sucked through ventilation openings which had been added to the architecture of the dome, in places from where it was almost impossible to see them as one stood underneath, giving the impression that the god himself was receiving his due. Only in the great sacrifices of the King’s Festival, the smoke would grow too thick to be evacuated, and some of it was dispersed among the priests and the concurrence, requiring incense and perfumes to prevent its suffocating stench from becoming too unbearable.

 

This temple, however, was different. Pharazôn had wanted to build too high, and too fast, and as a result the ventilation system had not been tested before the dome was finished. Even before the victims were burned, Amandil could already see the smoke from the altar veiling the faces of those who stood near him, and when he risked a look upwards, he realized that the paintings on the ceiling had become invisible, as if they stood under an impenetrable fog.

 

“All hail Ar Pharazôn, Favourite of Melkor, Protector of Númenor and the colonies and victor of Mordor!” a voice rung as the King walked in, clad in Ar Adunakhôr’s purple. Everybody, including Amandil, stood up to look in his direction, but none of their glances stayed on him for long. For they became too irresistibly attracted by the figure who walked two steps behind him, dark as the King was bright in his attire, as if he had wished to cast himself in the role of his shadow.

 

Sauron.

 

Ar Pharazôn climbed the steps until he stood next to the fire, and gave the sign for the first victim to be brought to him. As the ritual chants erupted around them, he made the kill with the mechanical precision he had acquired after many years as a general and a King, with no sign of anxiety betrayed by the hand that held the blade. When the dead bull’s corpse was given to the flames, however, the onslaught of dark fumes emerging from the altar seemed to give him momentary pause, and he retreated one step. For a moment, Amandil could have sworn that he had seen a flicker of fear in his countenance, but soon he had to look down himself, holding a hand before his face as his eyes teared up and his lungs were wrecked by coughing.

 

When the smoke finally dispersed, and the air became breathable again, the lord of Andúnië looked up to see that the King had moved away from the altar. He was standing on the steps now, and it was Sauron who, adopting the role of leading priest as naturally as if he had been doing it for the lifetime of a mortal, sank the sacrificial blade on the second victim’s neck. He needed no help, Amandil realized in fascination. The priests who had dragged struggling bulls and cows to the altar stood idle, for the animals grew still as soon as they approached his vicinity. No one held them in place while he slaughtered them, and no one attended him as he cut through the carcasses, gathered the blood, or threw the remains into the fire, a task for which at least four strong men would normally be required. Around him, Amandil saw that everyone was watching this in astonishment, bordering on awe. Most Númenóreans were superstitious, and for superstitious people the line between the blessed and the accursed was a thin one indeed, as he himself had learned in the mainland.

 

“Look!” someone whispered in his vicinity, momentarily breaking through the thread of the litany. Amandil blinked the cloud from his eyes, and gazed ahead. As he did so, he noticed that the heavy fumes from the dead tree and the burned victims were no longer spreading through the hall. They were shooting upwards in a column of smoke, passing through the heavy structure of the dome as if it had been made of thin air. Around him, Amandil heard more whispers and exclamations, spreading across the crowd like ripples in the surface of a pond.

 

Sauron smiled, and for a moment, Amandil had the definite impression that he was looking straight at him.

 

“Melkor has heard the King!” he shouted, his voice echoing mightily across the Temple. The murmurations rose in intensity, after a while coalescing into a new repetition of the litany, this time sung with much greater fervour than before.

 

The lord of Andúnië swallowed. Though the smoke was no longer there, and he could see clearly around him, he could still feel the stench and the suffocation inside him. He felt dirty, impure, as Yehimelkor would have said.

 

As he forced himself to look up again, he suddenly realized that the King was no longer there.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The sky was dark, and the midday sun lay buried under an impenetrable mass of black stormclouds, which had gathered around the Meneltarma while they stood inside the temple. As he rode past the gates of the Palace, followed at a distance by his escort, whose orderly arrangement had fallen into disarray in their frantic attempts to catch up with him, Pharazôn heard a distant, threatening rumble over his head. Back when he was young, he would have believed it to be an omen, but he could no longer afford to be distracted by idle conjectures about the capricious behaviour of the physical world. For the last days, all the speculation he had allowed his mind to harbour were the dangerous calculations of sacrifice, the difficult, tricky equivalence between the worth of what was offered and the worth of what was sought in exchange. At nights, he was unable to find an instant of repose, afraid of what could happen if his gift should be found wanting. What if the Lord of Battles pierced his thoughts to discover that, to him, the White Tree of Armenelos had been nothing but a piece of wood, that he had never stopped before it to pay his respects as Tar Palantir and his foolish courtiers had done? What if the slippery demon who had given him this counsel had misled him on purpose, to put an end to the line of the Kings of Númenor?

 

That would not be to his advantage, my love, Zimraphel had said, even as her breath grew uneven from the terrible pain. Immortal he may be, and yet he has learned, to his peril, that it is most unwise to have you for an enemy.

 

That morning, as the Palace’s very foundations shook with the sound of her screams, he had voiced his doubts before Sauron himself, to see how he would react to them. Far from being at difficulty, he had smiled, and told Pharazôn that the Lord of Battles would no doubt appreciate what he had sacrificed together with this piece of wood. And then the King had known that the creature was aware of everything that had transpired between him and the house of Andúnië.

 

“If you read my mind again, I will throw you into the fire myself”, he had growled, mounting his horse.

 

Now, as he returned once more to the very place they had ridden away from as if a horde of Orcs was chasing them, he was disturbed by the silence that greeted his ears. There were no screams, no shouts or cries; nothing but the calm of the houses of the dead under the Meneltarma. Taken by the urgent need to see for himself what had happened, he dismounted so fast that the Palace Guards from the Outer Courtyard had to leave their posts and run towards the horse before it could stomp across the beautifully kept gardens. While he walked on, he could hear the growing rumour of his escort, who had been forced to dismount before the Main Gate, joined now to the courtiers who had arrived too late to receive him. Ignoring them all, he entered the gallery that would take him to the Main Compound, where Zimraphel’s quarters were.

 

It was not long until he met a group of three ladies, each carrying what looked suspiciously like bloodied towels. When they suddenly found themselves facing him, one of them let go of a choked cry, and dropped what she was carrying.  The other two, older and more experienced, covered her blunder by stepping before her. One of them fell to her knees; the other just bowed low, and Pharazôn had the vague feeling that he was supposed to know her name.

 

“What happened?” he asked her. The sound of hurried footsteps was growing louder behind his back.

 

“The Queen is resting”, she replied, fixing the newcomers with a rather baleful glare. “She should not receive any…”

 

“And the child?” he asked with impatience, before she had even finished.

 

The lady raised her glance for a moment to meet his, then lowered it again. Her expression was so guarded, and her emotions so infuriatingly hard to read, that he was tempted to shake her.

 

“Your… son is there too, my lord King”, she said. As she spoke, a brief cloud crossed her features, but the other women kept their gazed religiously fixed upon the tiles of the floor. Though it would be the appropriate thing to do, no one congratulated him, and this was so strange that he grew more and more certain that something had happened. “It- it was a miracle.”

 

Pharazôn pushed past them and rushed towards Zimraphel’s sleeping chamber, heedless to the voices calling after him.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The child had been born dead.

 

It would be one thing for the women to make up such tales, their naturally vivid imagination and penchant for gossip distorting events that they had themselves witnessed. But the Healer who had been overseeing the proceedings was supposed to be among the most learned in Númenor, and he confirmed their story. As he informed Pharazôn of what had transpired, his voice was low and his eye refused to meet his, as if he was embarrassed for being forced to tell a tale he would never have believed from any other lips.

 

“He was pale, and he was not breathing. I tried to revive him but… there was no time, he did not respond, and I needed to save the Queen. The delivery had been a very dangerous ordeal for her, and there was a real possibility that she… well, that she…”

 

“I understand.” Pharazôn swallowed. Lying on the bed like a doll which had been discarded after playtime, Zimraphel looked frighteningly vulnerable. Her forehead was pale and drenched in sweat, like ivory and pearls, he thought, remembering the litany, and she had not stirred since he entered the room. He had needed to check personally that she was breathing and had a pulse, before he allowed himself to believe it.

 

“I was still… busy with her, my lord King, and the women were holding the child. Suddenly…” Now, the Healer’s cheeks were definitely a deep shade of red. “There was a noise, like the sound of thunder, and I remember that one of the women gave a sharp cry. And then the child… the child gave a great heave, and he began to wail.”

 

Pharazôn had avoided looking at him until now, but it could not be helped any longer. Angrily berating himself for his own weakness, he approached the wetnurse who was holding the silk-wrapped bundle in her arms. The way in which she extended the tips of two fingers to pull at the embroidered fabric covering his head was slow and cautious, as if he could disintegrate with the slightest touch.

 

Pharazôn could not blame her. In his life, he had seen many babies, for the soldiers of Umbar were justly renowned for their productivity, and some of their offspring lived in the Second Wall with their fathers. He did not remember ever standing this close to any of them, but he was certain that none of those children had been as small and fragile as this one. When his forehead was uncovered, he just stirred a bit, but otherwise did not move, or make the slightest noise. His skin was whiter even than Zimraphel’s, though he had not lost blood like she had, and it hung about its little body in papery folds, as if there was nothing but bones underneath it. The only thing about him that seemed to have grown as it should was the soft tuft of black hair that crowned his head.

 

Slowly, it was beginning to dawn on him. This child should be dead. He had come too early, later than his brothers and sisters, but still not enough to thrive; the late, pitiful fruit of what many would still condemn as their sinful incest. If not for the sacrifice, for Sauron’s counsel and the might of the Lord, he would be burying his heir today, and the whole Island would know that he was the sacrilegious King who could have no issue because his marriage was unholy before the eyes of the gods.

 

“Do you wish to… hold him, my lord King?” she asked.

 

Pharazôn shook his head. His battle-hardened hands could sever a writhing bull’s artery without shaking, but they would never be able to pick up such a small child without dropping, bruising, or suffocating him. To his shock, he realized that he found the very idea terrifying.

 

“He will live, will he?” he asked the healer, who was busy picking objects from the table, then putting them back with a clattering noise, apparently as unnerved as he was. “He will grow stronger.”

 

The reply was barely a mumble, and Pharazôn could not make sense of it. He walked towards the man, and stood before him with a frown.

 

“Answer!”

 

The healer paled.

 

“If he… eats and sleeps well, he will… find his strength eventually”, he obeyed with reluctance. “Until that time arrives, he should be watched day and night.”

 

Pharazôn took a deep breath, trying to assimilate this. Perhaps he had taken too many things for granted in his life, he thought, that this situation would seem so unconscionable to him. Since the day Zimraphel told him about her pregnancy, he had been feeling out of sorts, even to the point of depositing his trust on a demon. A demon who had not betrayed him, and yet it had not been enough, it still was not enough, and his mind was starting to be torn apart by the unbearable weight of it all.

 

What else did he need to do? He could ask Sauron this question, but he was not sure that he wanted to hear the answer. Vaguely, his mind could see the dark and winding path leading away from the man, from the King he had always strived to be, his very insides gnawed away by this uncertainty, by this weakness.

 

The sound of a tiny whimper, almost like the mewling of a kitten, jerked him abruptly from his thoughts. In the wetnurse’s arms, his son was stirring at last.

 

“Now, that is an encouraging sign”, the healer nodded. “I will be in the next chamber.”

 

His departing footsteps were light and fast, and Pharazôn knew that he was relieved to go. Not paying him further attention, he turned towards the woman, who was staring uncomfortably at him.

 

“What are you waiting for? Feed him!”

 

This was highly improper, and she looked anything but happy about it, but he could not care less. As if in a trance, he watched as she freed a large breast from the trappings of her attire, and began trying to manoeuvre the child into a feeding position. When his son failed repeatedly to put his mouth around the nipple, he felt himself beginning to grow impatient.

 

“Is this supposed to happen?” he asked, raising his voice above the noise of his crying. She did not look at him this time, pretending to be busy, but if she had, she might have betrayed her anger.

 

“Yes, my lord King. Sometimes the… child is nervous to have people around. Perhaps it would be better if…”

 

“Will he eat if I leave?” he cut her, his frustration increasing his vehemence. He had never felt as powerless as this.

 

Her bared chest heaved almost imperceptibly.

 

“I… I will do my best, my lord King.”

 

“That is not enough. You will feed him, or I will find another woman for the task”, he threatened, turning away to leave the room with the child’s wails following his steps.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

When he returned to the room, the sense of purpose with which he intended to check on the child was sorely tested as he discovered that Zimraphel was awake. She was sitting on the bed, making crooning noises, and when he approached, he noticed that the baby was lying in her arms. The nurse was sitting on a small chair at the other side, still looking nervous.

 

“Zimraphel!” he exclaimed. The Queen looked up, and a wide smile, of a kind he had rarely been allowed to see before, erupted in her features. Though she still looked pale and weak, for a moment he felt the warm glow of life radiating from her.

 

“Look!” she whispered in a hoarse voice, which seemed too imperfect to be coming from her lips. Unbidden, the memory of her screams crept into his mind, momentarily distracting him from the scene unfolding before him. When he realized what she wanted him to see, however, his eyes widened in astonishment.

 

Zimraphel’s breast was uncovered, and the baby hung from it, suckling its milk in almost imperceptible, but oddly rhythmic movements. Pharazôn had never heard of any woman of the nobility, much less a Queen of Númenor, breastfeeding her own child, but all of a sudden he found himself unable to remember what the reasons for this stupid rule had been. Perhaps it had been the Elves, again, he mused idly. Them, and their obsession with turning Men into something they were not.

 

“He will feed from no woman but me” she explained, sizing the poor wetnurse with a withering glare. Then, as if she wished to drive the point home even further, she disengaged the baby from her breast, and changed its position as expertly as if she had been doing it for all her life. For the first time, Pharazôn could see his son’s eyes wide open, and his heart missed a beat when he recognized Zimraphel’s large, stirring black orbs. “Leave. You are not needed anymore.”

 

The woman did not need to be told twice: with a deep bow, she departed in a flurry of silk robes.

 

“Zimraphel, I…” he began, once they were alone. But words alone were unable to convey all that he wanted to say to her: about Sauron, about the sacrifice taking place in the Temple even as they sat in this chamber, or about their son’s miraculous deliverance from the jaws of death. About his weakness, and the terrifying uncertainty which had crept into his life never to depart again.

 

Fortunately, Zimraphel had never needed his inadequate words, or his fumbling explanations. Everything he was thinking, everything he was feeling, she already knew.

 

“Do not fear”, she said, simply. “I will protect him from everything.”

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The ghastly succession of slaughtered and burned animals lasted all day, and after the announcement was made of the birth of Gimilzagar, Prince of the West and heir to the Númenórean Sceptre (1), six more days of sacrifices were decreed, in the New Temple as well as in the Four Great Temples and its subsidiaries. The people of Armenelos rejoiced at the news, and many took to the streets to drink and share in the general excitement, preparing for the long and lavish celebrations that would no doubt take place after the gods of Númenor had received their due. Heralds and messengers were sent to every city, territory and colony of Island and mainland, while the Palace was decorated in all magnificence to receive the first visitors who would have the privilege of gazing upon the Prince’s radiant countenance.

 

Ilmarë wished to laugh at the bitter irony of it. That such displays of empty grandeur and feigned admiration could surround a tiny, sickly looking creature who would be very lucky to reach his first begetting day, seemed to her like a joke in very poor taste. The same people who praised the royal offspring to the high heavens, and guaranteed him hundreds of years of good health and a prosperous reign, would be whispering among themselves as soon as they returned to their homes, placing bets on his survival, and wondering how Ar Pharazôn and Ar Zimraphel would deal with the succession problem if he died.

 

She could not care less, either about the succession or about the future of that sad child. As if she was attending the performance of some vapid Court play, she stood and watched as the lord of Andúnië wrestled with a congratulatory speech, and then as Anárion stepped forwards to compliment the baby and its mother in an attempt to draw attention away from Isildur and her, who had not uttered a single word since they entered the room.

 

She bit her lip, her glance unconsciously travelling towards where her eldest brother was, listening to Anárion’s claims that the boy’s features were a true mirror of his father’s glorious visage -which they were most definitely not- with an unkind frown. Back when they had been about to cross that threshold, she remembered, her steps had halted and their eyes had met, if by chance of purpose she could not be sure. And for a moment, a very short moment that stretched like eons in the burning wreck that was her mind, it was as if those months of unspoken, festering guilt and resentment had never happened, as if they were two people standing before a raging storm, with no one else to hear them or help them but each other. It had been a fleeting thought, almost like foresight, but she could not help but wonder if one day she would feel like this, and if that would be enough to forgive him.

 

“I am grateful for your kind words. You may depart with my good will now, except for the Lady Ilmarë, for I wish to speak to her in private.”

 

Taken away from her musings by the unexpected mention of her name, she raised her glance, and tried to suppress a sinking feeling in her stomach. Closest to her, her grandfather was looking quite displeased by this turn of events, but there was nothing he could do. Forcing herself to stand tall, Ilmarë watched as her kinsmen left the room one after another, leaving her alone with the Queen.

 

Ar Zimraphel was reclining on a purple couch, as if she had not recovered yet from the ordeal of the delivery. Her features, however, appeared as serene and immutable as they had ever been, and under the weight of all her pearls, sapphires, and silver steel-wrought jewellery, she still looked like the goddess of ivory who stood upon the altar of the Cave.

 

She probably thinks that she is the Goddess now, with the Child suckling from her breast, Ilmarë mused. Once upon a time, she had tried very hard to suppress her thoughts before this woman; now, she could not keep them from flowing at vertiginous speed. But your milk is not divine, and it cannot make miracles happen, Queen of Númenor.

 

“Miracles do happen, Ilmarë” she said, with a kindly smile that did not temper the piercing look of her eyes. Feeling scrutinized, Ilmarë had to fight the impulse to look away.

 

“I have something to ask of you”, the Queen continued after a brief pause. “A favour.”

 

The young woman blinked in incredulity. Until now she had been feeling hollow, almost numb, but those words awoke the embers of rage within her chest. How dare she?

 

“It concerns the child that you are carrying in your womb”, Zimraphel continued, ignoring her thoughts as well as her emotions. As she had probably predicted, Ilmarë’s anger drowned in turn, under an onslaught of fear and alarm such as she could not remember since that fateful night. “Yes, I know about it. I also know that it has no father left in this world.”

 

Like the waves came and went upon the shores of Andúnië, so did Ilmarë’s emotions swing back and forth as she stood here, confronting that woman. Her earlier rage returned, this time in full force.

 

“You know about that”, she hissed, not as a question, and neither as a simple echo of her words, but with the very foundations of her voice shaking with the strength of her hatred.

 

Zimraphel ignored this as well.

 

“Our children are linked by a very powerful fate. I have seen it”, she explained, in an almost conversational tone. “You intend to send yours with the father’s family, but it could have a much better life. Give the child to me as soon as it is born, and I will take care of h- it myself.”

 

For a moment, Ilmarë did not know what angered her more, if the Queen’s matter-of-fact demand, her callous disregard for her feelings, the fact that she felt entitled to dispose of the life of a child who was not hers, or the suspicion that she knew things about it which she did not want its own mother to know. Fear also welled up inside her chest again, a blinding, sickening terror, and yet rage prevailed in the struggle.

 

“I will not”, she hissed, fixing Ar Zimraphel with a proud glare. “I will not, and you cannot make me, for all the might of the Sceptre that you hold. I would rather kill it myself than allow you to lay a single finger on it, or your son to have anything to do with any of us.”

 

As she stood there, shaking, her chest heaving up and down with her uneven breaths, Ilmarë was certain that she had sealed her own fate and that of the child. Which would be fitting, the fell thought insinuated itself in her mind, for all three of them to be reunited in the world of shadows.

 

But the Queen merely smiled, an undefinable air of sadness wrought in the curve of her lips.

 

“I see. That is unfortunate, then. You may retire.”

 

Ilmarë did not leave, or bow. Instead, she remained rooted to the spot, her mind racked by furious thinking.

 

What was the point of this sad charade? What did Ar Zimraphel truly want? Was it to play games with her for her own twisted amusement, or was she trying to lure her into a false sense of security?

 

“Neither, Ilmarë. But things that are meant to happen will happen in their own way, and at their own time, no matter how hard we may try to force them - or prevent them.”

 

In an instinctive move, she folded her arms protectively against the womb where the fruit of her last night with Malik had been growing for the last two months.

 

“Leave my child alone.” She scowled, willing all her inner strength into her tone. “If you can look inside me, you must know that I mean what I have said. I would rather see it dead.”

 

Ar Zimraphel shook her head, still with that look of benign, infuriating sadness.

 

“It is not his fault” she said, caressing her pitiful bundle with her fingertip, and watching as it stirred feebly in her arms. “He is innocent, and so is the child who lives inside you. They are not responsible for the sins of their fathers, and we should not let them become so.”

 

Your child is only breathing because the foulest of creatures to tread upon the soil of Earth laid a spell on him. His very existence is a sin, Ilmarë thought savagely. The Queen sighed.

 

“Your death wish will not save you from the ordeal of living. Now, go.” She waved her hand in a vague gesture of dismissal. “There are still many people waiting to see me, and I am tired already. Your ugly emotions have drained me. Do not return to this Palace, for I do not wish to be confronted with them again.”

 

Ilmarë swallowed deeply. As she did so, she almost choked, taken by surprise by the dryness of her own throat. She felt vaguely nauseous, and when she lowered her head in a bow, the room spun around her. Angry at her weakness, she forced herself to hide her discomfort.

 

“As you wish, my Queen.”


Chapter End Notes

Notes:

 

(1) Gimilzagar was a name Tolkien made up for a character who appeared briefly in one of his Númenor drafts. If I remember correctly, he used to be an ancestor of Inzilbêth. That character has nothing to do with the one who appears here, obviously.

 

 

 

Interlude XII: Chased by Shadows

Read Interlude XII: Chased by Shadows

Do you know what? You are behaving like a fool.

Isildur closed his eyes, then immediately opened them again. The sky was full of small clouds, of the kind that moved fast and changed shapes with the direction of the wind, separating and congregating as if on the whim of an invisible higher being. Whenever one of them veiled the sun, a shiver racked his limbs, but he was still too wet to put his clothes on. He was also too tired to stand, and even more to do the things he knew he would have to do once that he managed to struggle to his feet.

Once upon a time, when he had been young, he had enjoyed swimming away from the coast because it was dangerous, and this danger made him feel on the brink of escaping his safe and boring existence. Now, all that he wanted was to exhaust himself so much that he would lose the ability to think. When this had proved just as impossible as reaching a point where the sky plunged to meet the earth and the wrath of the Valar fell upon trespassing mortals, he had tried to cover even greater distances, until he had been about to drown in truth, and only a favourable current had been able to save him, washing his drained body upon the shore. But even then, as he laid on the surf that night gasping for breath and feeling the pain of the salt on his scars, he had been unable to stop thinking. And he had been angry at him, angrier even that he was now.

Is this why I died? So you could kill yourself?

“Nobody asked you to die”, he muttered to the empty beach.

Then you might as well stop acting as if you had.

Isildur had heard many ghost stories when he was a child. Most of them had been told by Malik’s father, who had brought them to the Island from the land of his birth. For the Haradrim, the souls of the dead were evil and vindictive, often returning to haunt the living with the purpose of luring them into the shadows where they had been imprisoned for eternity. Isildur’s father used to say that those were nothing but superstitions, and that all souls went to the Halls of Mandos, where they awaited their turn to pass beyond the Circles of the World. At some point, Isildur remembered, his young mind had found an easy solution to this dilemma: Númenórean souls went to the Halls of Mandos, of course, but the souls of the Haradrim did not. He did not recall ever wondering what would happen to Malik if he died; after all, this had been even before he began seeing him dead in his dreams. Back then, as far as Isildur was concerned, both he and Malik could have been immortal.

Nobody would blame a child for thinking that, he thought, closing his eyes again as the radiant disk of the afternoon sun emerged from the veil of clouds. But when the child grew, and saw enough death around him for the meaning of his dream to be made clear, and he still refused to see the truth because the person he should have never listened to had managed to cloud his mind with his clumsy lies, there was no excuse to be made for him anymore.

If your dream showed this happening, then according to you it was meant to happen, wasn’t it?

“I should never have listened to you. I should never have let you come.”

Fine. Let us say that you are right. You were at fault, and you owe me. But you should try paying your debts by protecting my descendants, swearing revenge, and all those things that the Haradrim in my father’s tales used to do. Or have you ever heard of anyone who succeeded in placating a ghost by acting like a bloody idiot?

That pain felt just as raw as the pain of his wounds whenever the salt water of the Sea touched them.

“I… I do not know what else to do. I cannot avenge you. I do not mind risking my life, but I cannot put my family in any more danger, not after what you and I did. And you should know that Ilmarë will never, ever let me near your child.”

And you will never, ever reach Valinor swimming. But that does not stop you.

His eyes were tearing; whether because of the salt or the grief that crushed his chest and left him breathless, he was not sure anymore

“I am not… trying to reach Valinor, Malik. I do not think I ever was.”

Good. Because, one day, Ilmarë will realize how much she needs you here. And that day, you should better be at her side, or I will become like the ghosts in the stories. No, not like them -I will be like the real ghosts behind those stories, whose grislier details my father used to omit so we could sleep at night. Do you understand?

It was a very long time before the choking sensation eased enough to let any words past Isildur’s throat. Even then, his voice was so full of emotion that he was forced to mumble, afraid that it would break if he tried to make it louder.

“And I thought you were a Númenórean.”

Malik did not reply, and the sudden silence around him left him strangely bereaved. Above his head, the sun disappeared behind wisps of cloud, only to reappear seconds later in all its shining glory. Around him, he could feel the wind growing steadily stronger.

Isildur wiped the tears from his eyes, and struggled to his feet to get his clothes back.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You should go.”

Eluzîni stared at the magnificent summer gardens of the palace of Arne, a familiar stony look upon her face. It reminded him of the way she would glare at someone who wore inappropriate clothes for a given event, such as armour for a wedding, or -more to the point- a bright, colourful dress for a funeral.

“I will not leave you” she said. “Things are becoming ugly in the Island. You know that, once I am there, it is unlikely that I will be allowed to return. They will find pretexts to keep me there, and I will become yet another hostage.”

“Well, the King would have to be seriously afraid of me, to need so many hostages to feel safe.” Elendil tried to sound light-hearted, but it was difficult to joke about unpleasant things that had become too real. “I wonder if he isn’t rather reassessing the effectivity of that strategy after the last events. Perhaps I should have been the hostage all along.”

Eluzîni’s look grew even stonier.

“I am sorry. But I stand by what I have said: Isildur and Ilmarë need you more than I do now, and you should be with them.”

The first time he had said that, she had been furious, perhaps too much for the emotion to be wholly honest. Since then, her reactions had grown more subdued, but in the process they had veered a little too close to the edge of despair.

“And what would I be able to do, if I was there? Do you think I can embrace them and make all their problems go away, like I did when they were children? “She shook her head, bitterly. “If I could ever bring myself to do that. I am so angry that I will probably end up yelling at them that they deserved everything they got.”

An empty threat, and a rather clumsy lie, too, he thought, though he did not voice it. He only knew what had happened from Amandil’s succinct messages through the Seeing Stone, but his father had never been very good at hiding his thoughts and emotions. From them, Elendil had acquired a chillingly accurate idea of the respective ordeals that his eldest and youngest children were going through, an information which Eluzîni, in turn, had wrestled from him. He had been devastated, and he knew that she was, too. For a while, he had even pondered the mad idea of deserting his post and risking the King’s wrath yet again, but he knew that the impact of his actions on others -both those who lived in Númenor and those who relied on him in this faraway, barbarian land- would be inversely proportional to the consequences for himself. And he had also learned by now that this was not an advantage, but a terrible, terrible weakness.

That was why he needed her to go.

“If Sauron is on the rise in Númenor, I do not believe my family can stay neutral for much longer. What now seems the impulsive foolishness of youngsters may well be the policy of their elders one day.”

“To ambush Palace Guards in the dead of the night to steal the fruit of a tree?”

Elendil sighed.

“The White Tree was a very ancient, very powerful symbol. Now, the fruit which survived its destruction to blossom into a new tree will become a no less powerful symbol of hope for the future.” He paused for a moment, wondering if he should utter the next words which came to his mind. “And it may be the same with Ilmarë’s child.”

Eluzîni stared at him. For the first time since the start of this conversation, he was unable to read the emotion behind her look

“I knew”, she said, in a very low voice. “I was… aware that she was in love with Malik, and that he loved her back. I knew, and yet I said nothing, did nothing about it. I thought that it would go away after a while, that I would not have to intervene. And then, the King took them away and I did not… I could not…” The last words died in a sob, and for the first time since she heard that her son was lying at the brink of death, and then that her daughter expected a child from a man who was no longer in this world, she began to cry. Instinctively, Elendil rushed to pull her into an embrace.

For a long time, neither of the two said anything, until he judged it was the appropriate moment to end the silence.

“I understand. You married me because you loved me, Eluzîni. And now you felt selfish, as if you had no right to tell others that they could not do the same as you did.”

She raised her tear-streaked face towards him, and laughed bitterly.

“Is that what you think? No, Elendil – I thought that she was like me. That she would be easily infatuated with the men around her, and then forget about them just as easily, until one day she found someone that she could not forget. Tell me, how could I have misread her feelings so grievously? I am her mother!”

This time, he had to admit that he had no words at the ready to answer this. But he knew that her guilt was unfair: she blamed herself for not interpreting certain signs correctly, and yet he had not even noticed those signs at all. He might just as well blame himself for being aware that Isildur’s foolhardy disposition could get him and others killed, and yet doing nothing to prevent this from happening. And Malik’s mother might even agree, he thought, with a sinking feeling in his stomach. Self-recrimination, however, and endless examination of the past to look for the formula that would have prevented an undesirable outcome was an idle pastime that availed nothing, and destroyed one’s clarity of mind to deal with the present. And with a future that looked bleaker at each passing day, he remembered, darkly.

“I did not know that you felt like this”, he said. “But now that I do, I am more certain than ever that you should go to Númenor, Eluzîni. For you will never stop being angry at yourself until you can help Ilmarë in some way.”

She shrugged, but did not oppose his suggestion as she would have done before.

“If there is something I can do.”

“If there is, I am absolutely certain that you will find it.”

Eluzîni did not answer. Instead, she let her head rest against his shoulder, and her eyes became lost in the distance as her brow furrowed in thought.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Move aside.”

The woman’s face paled, and her mouth snapped shut in the middle of her long-winded explanation about the Prince’s condition. The expression in his face must have been frightening enough for her well-prepared euphemisms to desert her mind in a rush. Not paying further mind to her, he walked towards the cradle, where Zimraphel was sitting still like a statue, her hand pressed against the small forehead.

Gimilzagar was asleep. His chest, however, shook with the ugly noise of his tortured breathing, and the tiny ribcage shot upwards with sharp and agonic movements, as if the body was desperately trying to receive the air it had been denied. His normally pale face was flushed, radiating heat from a fever that had not abated since it erupted on the previous night.

Pharazôn stood still. He had never reacted very well to situations he could do nothing about. That was why he had developed the conviction, forged through years of daring schemes and miraculous escapes, that those situations did not exist, that there was always something that could be done. His son had been born dead, but it had been possible to revive him against all odds. Now, the great miracle which had brought all Númenor to its knees could not meet such a sordid end.

He turned aside, and sought the eyes of the dark robed figure who had entered the chambers following in his footsteps. He was watching the scene calmly, as if everything, from the child’s suffering to his anxiety and Zimraphel’s numb exhaustion was part of some kind of amusing show. Pharazôn felt anger fill his chest.

“Save him”, he ordered, “or I will have you thrown back in the cell where you came from.”

Sauron bowed, perhaps with some exaggeration, and advanced towards the bedside. As his hand came to rest on the little boy’s chest, the laboured breathing started to subside. Then, he closed his eyes, muttering something in a language that no one could understand, while his finely chiselled features grew taut, as if under the throes of a great effort. The flush in Gimilzagar’s cheeks disappeared, leaving only the usual pallor in its wake.

Zimraphel smiled tremulously at Pharazôn.

“Thank you.”

A part of him rebelled at this. It was not my doing, he wanted to say, but the words did not come from his mouth. Perhaps she was right, and Gimilzagar’s continued existence was his doing for bringing Sauron to the Island and commanding his power for his own designs. But somehow, this reasoning still felt hollow in a way that not even he could fully understand.

“He is safe for now. But he will not be safe for long”, Sauron spoke, jerking him away from his musings. Pharazôn stared at him.

“What do you mean? You can save him, can’t you?”

The former Dark Lord’s glance was filled with what almost looked like sincere regret.

“I am doing my best to anchor the Prince of the West’s spirit to the great power of the sacrifice which preserved his life. But that power is growing weaker by the day, and soon it will pass out of the reach of my strongest abilities. No sacrifice lasts forever, my lord King.”

Pharazôn breathed deeply.

“So”, he said, feeling the first pangs of a headache erupt on the back of his skull, “what should I sacrifice next?”

Sauron looked away from him, and in the direction of Zimraphel, who sat in silence, her hand entwined in Gimilzagar’s pale and bony fingers.

“Life is the most powerful of all sacrifices. I am aware of your distaste for such… measures, my lord King, but I am sure that you have not forgotten what happened when the lord of Andúnië’s grandson lay prostrate from the wounds inflicted by your Guards.”

Pharazôn’s blood froze. He had been doing his best to forget, for months now.

“Isildur had someone who was ready to die for him. Who will die for the Prince?”

Sauron’s smiled reassuringly, a sight so incongruous with his words that for a moment Pharazôn found it hard to make sense of it.

“You are the King of Númenor, my lord! You have conquered vast lands, and you will conquer more still. Everything a conqueror wins by right of arms, he owns, whether it may be lands, cities, riches, or souls. Have you not always disposed of the lives of your enemies as you wished? Or perhaps you have the habitude of asking them whether they wish to die for you or not?”

He pondered this. Unconsciously, his gaze sought Zimraphel’s, looking for signs of her reaction to those words. But perhaps because she was too tired, or perhaps because she could not care less about the finer points of the right of conquest as long as Gimilzagar was not dying in her arms, she showed none.

Pharazôn paced around the room, trying to dispel his unease. Sauron was right, of course: barbarians had never been called upon to dispose of their own lives at will once they were defeated in war. Since so long ago that he could not even remember who was the first King to engage in this practice, their leaders had been shipped to the Island to be executed. As if from the deepest recesses of his memory, he recalled words that the captive had spoken to him while he was still on his dark cell, about this practice being a distorted mirror of the original Sacrifice.

It looked so easy. Malik had been only half-Númenórean, and yet Pharazôn had been out of sorts, not wanting what had transpired back then to become known. But if a barbarian was killed in an altar instead of in the public square, who would bat an eye? And if that gave the Prince of the West, and sole heir of the Númenórean Sceptre the strength that he needed to go on living, would not opposing it be a form of treason, even? Barbarians were not hard to come by: somebody was always revolting here or there, and right now, Belzamer was campaigning in the far East to subdue the tribes who had been allied to Mordor. If he asked Balbazer in Umbar to send him a shipload of his latest prisoners, he would gladly do it with the first favourable wind.

Where was the catch, then? Amandil would have asked. Of course, the man who used to be his friend would stubbornly insist that sacrifice was evil, whether its object was an animal, a man, or even a tree, and that Pharazôn was being deceived by this evil spirit. He will try to manipulate you to act against your own interests and hurt your people, he had said, the last time they had spoken to each other in private. But not even Amandil would be able to successfully argue that the barbarians who waylaid Númenórean caravans, attacked their settlements and fought alongside with the Orcs were Pharazôn’s people.

Suddenly, Gimilzagar’s eyes flickered open. As they focused on Zimraphel, he blinked several times, and his parched lips began moving, uttering meaningless yet plaintive sounds. Zimraphel took his hand and kissed it, her eyes glazing over with tears.

Pharazôn stopped in his tracks, and turned towards the prisoner again. Amandil could grumble all he wanted, but he was done listening to him. If he dared to stand before the Council and defy the King of Númenor on this or anything else, whatever it was, he would be dealt with like the traitor he was since he gave shelter to the man who fought the Palace Guards. Pharazôn could not believe he had ever harboured the thought of conditioning his only son’s life to that fool’s approval.

“Your advice has been useful so far”, he declared, as solemnly as he could. “Keep him alive in the meantime.”

Sauron bowed.

“Yes, my lord King.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Pain. Her body was wracked by spasms of glorious pain, physical pain that chased the other kind away like the foul-tasting medicine that cured her illness as a child. As she writhed in its throes, her hands held by women who encouraged her and winced in misplaced sympathy at each one of her cries, her mind felt clearer than ever before, free of the haze which had obscured and twisted the least of her thoughts since he had crossed the gates of the Palace never to return.

“It is a girl!” she heard a voice say, near the foot of the bed. And then she suddenly heard crying that was not hers, and yet seemed animated by a similar energy, as if mother and daughter were both trying to get the attention of the heavenly powers who had left them to this fate.

She was a tiny thing, wet and thoroughly cleaned from the blood and foulness of childbirth. Her face was very red, but she had already stopped wailing when Ilmarë held her in her arms. For a moment, as her fingers traced the baby’s features, the eyes opened briefly, and they were as grey as those of her twenty generations of ancestors.

Ilmarë took a deep breath. She should have expected it: after all, this was how it had always been, and how it would always be. Malik’s child would have nothing of him; he had never stood a chance against the bloodline of Andúnië. Though this should make the next step easier, she could not help but feel a terrible sadness threatening to overwhelm her newfound clarity.

“Isildur”, she muttered in a hoarse voice, using the name as an anchor for her foundering thoughts. A woman’s face grew closer to hers, and she could see that her features looked confused. “Bring Isildur here. Now.” Before I forget why it has to be him, and change my mind.

“Yes, my lady”, the woman replied, the confusion still visible in her countenance. “But perhaps you should rest now, and later…”

“No”, she hissed. She did not trust this moment to last. She did not trust anything in her life anymore, even things which she had used to take for granted. “It has to be now.”

The woman left, and in her wake someone else tried to take the child from her. When Ilmarë shook her head and refused to give her away, however, they did not insist, probably in the mistaken assumption that she needed to hold on to her. Hungry as she must be, the girl fussed and soon started crying again.

“Sssshh. You will have all the food you want soon”, Ilmarë whispered in her ear, wondering if she looked as foolish as Ar Zimraphel doting over her abomination.

“Ilmarë”, a familiar voice spoke from somewhere above. “Ilmarë, what…?”

Her whole body tensed, and her grip on her bundle grew so tight that the intensity of the baby’s cries redoubled. Still, she forced herself to look up, and meet Isildur’s eyes. To her surprise, he flinched under her gaze.

“Coward”, she spat, above the ruckus raised by the crying child.  This time, he did look at her.

“You are hurting her.”

“Not as much as you hurt her before she was even born”, she hissed. He opened his mouth, but closed it again before any words made it past his lips. Suddenly ashamed, she eased her grip on the baby, and cursed at herself. What was she doing? She was supposed to focus. She had been able to do it before.

“Listen to me”, she said, deciding to start over again. “This is Malik’s child, and it has to go to his family. And though I cannot bear to look at you, I know that you are the only one I can trust with this.”

Isildur looked agitated at her words.

“Ilmarë, wait. You should not be so hasty to take action, when your thoughts are still in turmoil.” She scowled, but he did not let her speak. “We know from Grandfather that Mother is on her way to Númenor. You could at least wait until she is here.”

“Wait for what?” she retorted. As she spoke, her arms began rocking the baby in rhythmical movements as if on their own accord, until the crying seemed to subside a little. “Her presence here can change nothing of what has happened.”

“Why cannot you give her a chance? She is resourceful, she knows many people, she may think of something. What evil could possibly befall this child if she spends another month here, with you? No one else will know, but for those of us who already do.”

“And the Queen, Isildur”, Ilmarë hissed. “Do you know why she told me to stay and speak to her in private, back when the Prince of the West was born? She wants my child. She wants to take her from me, and keep her as a plaything for that wretched creature that she calls her son, under the watchful eye of Sauron and the man who killed her father.”

Her words had an effect in Isildur’s countenance: he paled visibly as she spoke.

“And what did you say to her?”

“I said that I would kill her myself before I allowed that to happen.” Her brother stared at her in incredulity, then shook his head, as if words had failed him for once in his life. “She realized that I meant it, and so she let me go, but I know she has not given up on this. So, if you wish her to be safe, take her with you and give her to one of Malik’s relatives and do not tell me where she is. Ever.”

Even with the baby’s cries in the background, the silence between them grew so oppressive that Isildur surrendered to the temptation of pacing around the room, that terrible habit he had picked from the lord of Andúnië. She sat quietly, not letting him out of her sight for a moment.

“What if you regret this later?”

“Unlike you, I have no choice, Isildur.” For a moment, her glance held such an intensity that she imagined that fire could blaze from her eyes. “And when there is no choice, there is no room for regret.”

He kept his composure bravely, though deep inside she knew she had struck the most painful nerve of all -and she was not sorry for it.

“Very well” he said, his voice so low that it could barely be heard. “I will take her. But first, she must be fed properly. And you will give her a name.”

“A name?” She had not expected this request. “Why?”

“She will have nothing from you. This is the least you could do for her.”

For a while, she considered this. As she did so, perhaps at a sign from Isildur, one of the women came back, and this time Ilmarë let go of the baby so she could pick her up. The grey eyes flashed open briefly, and for the short span of a second, the granddaughter of the lord of Andúnië saw a grown, very beautiful woman gazing back at her. She was standing upon the surf of a shore that Ilmarë could not recognize, and a powerful sadness clouded her features.

She flinched, as if she had been physically struck. What was she doing? What had she done?

Then, as soon as it had come, the vision vanished, leaving nothing but the oppressive walls of the birthing chamber to close upon her tired, grieving body. Feeling suddenly cold, she grabbed the sheets, and wrapped them over her shoulders.

“Fíriel”, she muttered. Isildur stopped in his tracks.

“What?”

“Her name. Fíriel”, she repeated. He looked at her uncertainly, as if he was trying to gauge her intent before he replied. Perhaps he was wondering if she could possibly hate her own child.

He is innocent, and so is the child who lives inside you.

Her eyes prickled with the tears that she could no longer shed. It was so unfair that she wanted to scream, to tear things with her bare hands. She did not hate this child. She just could not love her, because the world they lived in and the people in it would not allow her to. And instead of stopping at this cruelty, they would go as far as to blame her for it, though it was not her fault. It was Ar Pharazôn’s fault, and Ar Zimraphel’s fault, and Isildur’s fault and even Malik’s fault, though at least he had never known what he had done to her before he left. And if those evil dreams and visions could be traced back to Him, it was Eru’s fault too, and she was not even afraid to think it. In fact, she thought savagely, if she was struck down where she was right now, she would welcome it.

Your death wish will not save you from the ordeal of living, Ar Zimraphel’s mocking voice spoke to her from the recesses of her memory.

“Ilmarë…” Isildur approached her in concern, aware that something was amiss. But she shook him away, and buried her head under the sheets. She did not wish to see him.

She did not wish to see anyone.

“Leave me alone” she begged. In this dark, she could not see if he had left the room or not, but she did not hear any other sound in her vicinity, and after a while, she finally began to relax.

The next morning, when she was awoken by a woman who brought a pot of tea to her bedside, Isildur and Fíriel were already gone.

The Brink

Read The Brink

He did not remember a time in his life when that particular vision had been absent from his dreams. Back when he was a child, recently admitted to the Temple of Armenelos and still secretly frightened of its dark corridors and echoing halls, he had been ignorant enough to confuse it with a recurring nightmare, and dreaded falling asleep because of it. In time, however, he had learned to control his disorderly feelings through prayer, and under the Lord’s guidance he had grown aware of the rare gift he had been sent.

When, years later, he heard another boy crying in his sleep, he already knew why this happened, and what it meant. It was a process that could not be stopped; an ordeal the boy could not be protected from because there was nothing intrinsically evil about it. Whatever visions the young scion of the outlawed house of Andúnië was having in his dreams were only for him to know, his own gift to make sense of and use when he grew older and wiser. Still, he remembered it was then that he developed the habit of praying aloud, so at least the boy would wake up to a familiar sound that could help bring him back to the present, instead of the chilling silences which had heralded Yehimelkor’s returns to the waking world.

Even to this day, Yehimelkor had no knowledge of what Hannimelkor had seen. But he knew what someone else had seen, someone who had unexpectedly confided in him despite the fact that he had been his enemy. Ar Inziladûn, or Tar Palantir as he had forced everyone to call him after he became King, had told him that every night he dreamt of a great wave, drowning the whole Island in punishment for their sins. This dream had been behind his eccentric and disastrous drive for reform, for, seduced by the beliefs of his mother’s family, he had come to identify the worship of the gods of Númenor with the sins they should renounce before it was too late. When Yehimelkor reciprocated by telling him of his own dream, however, he had refused to consider it for longer than a moment, which confirmed the theory that visions were only meant for those who had them.

I see a dark god rising in the mainland, and towering over Númenor like a cloud of black smoke. That is why I have always opposed your campaigns in Middle Earth, and the rebuilding of Pelargir. And that is why I will always oppose you, because I see nothing but godlessness in your path, and if the Island becomes godless, it will fall all the more easily to this dark god.

Tar Palantir had done nothing to prevent this; instead, he had persevered until the end on this double path of destruction, inextricably tying the interests of the mainland with those of the Sceptre, and turning the Island into a godless place. And this, in turn, had paved the way for the godless, incestuous general of the Umbar troops to seize the Sceptre unopposed, to build his blasphemous temples in honour of barbarian advocations of the true gods, and, in his folly, to set his sight on an enterprise that no Númenórean should ever have contemplated: defeating the evil spirit of Mordor, and bringing him to the Island.

When Ar Pharazôn’s fleet reached Sor, and the monster set foot on the harbour, Yehimelkor was already aware that the fulfilment of his vision was near at hand. A lesser man might have lost his sanity from the terrible feeling of impotence and helplessness which had assailed him then, knowing that there was nothing he could do to prevent it from becoming true. But impotence and helplessness were feelings he was already well familiar with. Some of his priests, he knew, still blamed him for relinquishing his Council seat during the reign of the Former King, and for doing nothing to ingratiate himself with the present one. According to their secret whispers, which he was not as ignorant of as they seemed to believe, it was because of him that they had lost their political power, been left behind by all of Ar Pharazôn and Ar Zimraphel’s recent policies and even, greatest of insults! sidestepped by the building of this new and greater temple which would rob them of their religious pre-eminence.

Fools. Even those among them who were not distracted by their own earthly ambitions were deeply wrong, if they believed that a Council seat and a good relationship with the King of Númenor could have prevented this outcome. The Council did not rule the kingdom, and the King would only have a good relationship with those who did not oppose his designs, a lesson which Yehimelkor believed his old pupil had learned too bitterly and too late. Beyond whatever pleasant flattery Yehimelkor might have offered Ar Pharazôn if he was the sort of man his predecessor had been, Hannimelkor – he still refused to think of him as Amandil – had been his true friend since childhood. Yehimelkor himself had been witness to the development of this friendship, and he had been grudgingly impressed by the inability of all the elders who surrounded those two boys to prevent it from happening. And yet, in the end, even those strong bonds had proved worthless before the onslaught of pride and ambition, twisted by the monster to suit his own evil designs. The most genial and accommodating High Priest of Melkor would never have stood a chance, and Yehimelkor was neither genial, nor accommodating.

And yet, even he had accommodated the King enough by keeping out of his way. It was years ago since Ar Pharazôn had left him under the custody of his soldiers while he sacrificed at the Sacred Fire, knowing that Yehimelkor would do whatever was in his power to hinder him unless he was restrained by force. These days, he did not bother with guarding him, interfering with Temple business, or even sending spies anymore. He did not consider him a great threat, and neither did the demon who whispered in his ear. The faithful of the Lord of Armenelos were flocking in growing numbers to the new temple of the so-called Lord of Battles, where Sauron himself -who now went by the presumptuous name Zigûr- presided over outlandish rites brought from the mainland. The royal family preferred to grace those with their presence, and this in turn had proved an irresistible attraction for the noblemen and courtiers who orbited them. They, and also many among the common folk, parroted the belief that it had been this Zigûr and his god who saved the Prince of the West’s life. It should not have taken the cunning demon a long time to realize that flashy tricks and false miracles were the surest way to reach the hearts of the superstitious populace of Armenelos.

“Holiness”, a familiar voice interrupted the bitter drift of his thoughts. “Holiness, may I come in?”

“Yes, you may, Hasdrumelkor”, he answered, somewhat ruefully. In the past, when the younger priest had been a boy and then a young man, he had been afraid to be caught doing things that he shouldn’t. Now, it was Yehimelkor who, in his old age, was tempted to feel like the boy when Hasdrumelkor came upon him like this.

“Holiness! You know you should not kneel on the floor like that, not without at least something to… oh, by the King of Armenelos, you have spent the whole night in that position, haven’t you? Do you think the Lord will not listen to your prayers unless you cripple yourself for His sake?”

Yehimelkor did not grace this insolence with an answer. Deep inside, however, he could not help but feel slightly disturbed at the implied connection with the doctrine of sacrifice, the one that the former lord of Mordor had twisted to suit his own purposes.

Of course, that had been his intent all along, he thought, to make even a man such as he doubt his own teachings.

“What is it? Do you come to report something? I trust you would not interrupt my prayer merely to inform me of the health risks involved in my current position.” He gave Hasdrumelkor the most severe look he could muster, while struggling to his feet and pretending that he did not need anyone’s help to do so. Unfortunately, it was a long time since the seventy-nine-year-old priest had stopped cowering from it. In fact, he even had the evil courage to offer him his hand for support when Yehimelkor faltered, though the High Priest did not take it.

“Sit”, he said, motioning towards one of the chairs before his table. Hasdrumelkor was already talking again before he reached it.

“Your Holiness, I am indeed here to report something. There are… disturbing rumours which have reached my ears, concerning the rites of the New Temple. I have barely managed to find sleep tonight, thinking about them.”

Yehimelkor sat before him, using the support of both his arms to slide into his seat gradually, instead of falling on it.

“So you have heard about that, too”, he nodded. Hasdrumelkor blinked, wrong-footed, then strove to regain his composure.

“Forgive me, Your Holiness. I should not have assumed that you would be ignorant…”

“… only because I have done nothing about it”, Yehimelkor finished for him. “If I was the King of Númenor, Hasdrumelkor, I would have swept on the nest of iniquity as soon as the first whisper reached my ears, and I would have demolished the place until not a single stone was left standing. But I am not, so this course of action is banned to me.”

“You are still the High Priest of Melkor!” the younger priest argued, some of his hidden frustration coming to the fore as his composure slipped. “Even this Zigûr, immortal as he may be, would have to submit to your religious authority!”

“Sauron is not here to submit to anyone’s religious authority. His plan is to become the highest authority in the Island. That is why he is trying to provoke us into an open war, which he will inevitably win with the support of the King.”

“But how could we stand aside and do nothing while he fouls the sky of Armenelos with the smoke of his sacrilegious ceremonies? We will be reviled as cowards, and rightfully so!”

Yehimelkor understood Hadrumelkor’s feelings, perhaps better than his former pupil thought. This was why he could not find it in himself to be angry at his display.

“A High Priest does not care for what others think of him. The only orders that he follows come from Heaven, and they alone are worthy of his attention” he replied, with a serene dignity that, for once in his life, was a mere appearance.

For a moment, Hasdrumelkor seemed at the brink of asking him if the Great God had ordered him to stand aside and let corruption spread through the Island. In the end, however, seventy years of learning obedience appeared to have the better of his impulse, and he bowed his head.

“Yes, Your Holiness. O- of course you are right. Forgive me, I have not slept very well tonight. And I do know that this is no excuse, but…”

Yehimelkor shook his head, waving the apology away. If he were to be honest, he would have to admit that the King of Armenelos had not spoken to him, let alone given him orders in a very long time. And though this had not made his faith waver for an instant, it had disquieted him more than he was ready to admit.

Then again, perhaps he had simply not been listening hard enough. Could old age and fear have made him deaf? And if he was, could the god be feeling angry enough as to send Hasdrumelkor, of all people, to remind him of his duty?

“Lack of sleep is no excuse. But perhaps the reason why you did not sleep could be”, he said, reaching a sudden determination. Hasdrumelkor raised his glance again, surprised. “I have heard… things, but rumours are often distorted and blown out of proportion. For example, certain people have been claiming that, today, something out of the ordinary will take place in the New Temple. But according to others, it is merely an ordinary ceremony, and there is nothing blasphemous or censorious in it. If I wish to be able to fight my enemy, I need to see for myself what is happening. And you will escort me.”

The younger priest’s eyes widened.

“To the New Temple?”

“Yes”, Yehimelkor nodded, and stared hard into the embers of the sacred fire of his room. “To the New Temple.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“How is he?”

Those had been the first words he spoke as he crossed the threshold of her chambers, and the commotion as the ladies looked up, stood, knelt, bowed and arranged the folds of their robes made it difficult to register if there had been a response, even to be sure that they had heard him at all. Only Zimraphel looked back at him, her hand absently caressing the black hair of the child on her lap.

“Much better than he was yesterday. Look, Gimilzagar, your father is here! Greet him!”

The young Prince had indeed noticed his presence, for he promptly arched back until his head collided against his mother’s chest and started crying. At least it sounded louder now, Pharazôn thought, glad for small blessings. Only the previous day, he had been so sick that he seemed too exhausted to move or even make sounds.

“Do not worry, I am not going to take you away from your mother.” He felt ridiculous talking to a baby who could hardly make sense of his words, but Zimraphel had told him that part of the reason why she despised the adults who surrounded her as a child was that she could understand them better than they thought. Her ability to intrude in their minds had played a role in this, and since it was too soon yet to know what this child was able to do, he should not rule it out. Pharazôn was at difficulty to see how a child who was too weak to even cry properly would be able to read people’s thoughts, but he had to admit that, if he did, he would not be too impressed with his.

He swallowed, forcing himself to empty his mind and start anew. He did not want his son to hate him. His life had been dearly bought, and he knew that he and Zimraphel would never have another. Before this was over, it could well be that millions would curse his name every day, but he had to make sure that Gimilzagar did not.

“Well, at least you are trying”, she said, a little sardonically. “But you should not be concerned. He does no longer have fever, so he is feeling stronger, but the pain is still there. That is the only reason why he is fussing.” With utmost care, she bared her breast and introduced it in the child’s mouth; after wriggling a little, he slowly went limp in her arms.

Pharazôn saw everyone avert their glances, as if seized by an almost religious awe. In the first month or so, there had been a great scandal whenever she did this in front of him, as if she had been fully dressed when the child was conceived, but gossipers had grown bored after a time. Scandalous rumours lost their value fast, if they were too widely known.

All the same, Zimraphel’s resemblance to the goddess of the Cave was as uncanny as it was intended, he thought, briefly shifting his weight from one of his legs to the other.

“I am glad to know that.” He turned towards the other ladies. “Leave us alone.”

The women obeyed, though rather slowly, and with obvious reluctance. It was deemed dangerous that the Queen should be alone with her child, without at least twenty other people to keep watch over him. But Pharazôn could not see why they would be more effective than Zimraphel at ascertaining her son’s condition. After all, she was always the one who knew what was wrong with him, and the one who took care of it immediately.

Once he deemed that they were out of earshot, he met the black pools of her eyes again. Their surface was calm and serene, and he took a deep breath.

“Go”, she said. “There is no reason why you should not be where they need you.”

Of course, she already knew what was bothering him; his rough skin was not harder to pierce than Gimilzagar’s soft one. Not for those eyes.

“Those damn fools!” he exploded, releasing the tension he had been accumulating since he read the latest dispatches from the mainland. “They should not need me. They have the most powerful army in the world, that should be enough for them!”

Belzamer had pulled out too many troops from the Second Wall, and for far too long. Of course, he had undertaken his expedition to the East of Mordor without gathering the necessary intelligence beforehand, thinking that what lay beyond Sauron’s realm was only a few uncouth tribes who would be too terrified of Númenor to oppose his advance. In the end, his triumphal march had been considerably delayed by circumstances he had failed to foresee -such as the uncouth tribes being part of vast kingdoms whose layout and strength they ignored-, and this had robbed Bazerbal of the necessary resources to deal with what might turn into the largest uprising in Harad since Pharazôn himself won the last Haradric War, in the last years of Ar Gimilzôr’s reign. And this time, as that accursed pest from Andúnië had once predicted, without the help of Mordor.

“I am not knowledgeable about war, but they say that an army is only as good as its commander”, Zimraphel said, as she manoeuvred the child so he would have access to her other breast.

“If that is the case, does it mean that I will have to spend our entire reign on the mainland, cleaning up their messes? That is not how the King of Númenor is meant to pass his days! I defeated Mordor, is that not enough?”

He could fool many people, even himself sometimes, but not her.

“Why are you pretending that you do not want to do it?”

Pharazôn discarded the fleeting impulse to protest and deny her claim, aware of its futility. He put aside all the trappings, all the artifices, until all that remained was the naked truth, a frightening yet very liberating ritual.

“Because I should not be leaving you alone.”

“You have left me alone before.”

“Yes, but not with… not like this.” She raised her eyebrow, and he lost his patience. She knew well enough what he meant. “First, it is not only you anymore, but also our son, the heir to the Sceptre. And second, I have enemies to be wary of, and friends to be even warier of. If I leave now…”

“You do not believe me capable of dealing with Zigûr on my own”, she determined. He shook his head, but she continued talking. “You think that, if you are not here, he will seize his chance to usurp the Sceptre, and get rid of Gimilzagar and me.” She laughed. “As if he could do something like that! He may have knowledge and powers that mortals can only imagine in their wildest dreams, but at heart, he will always remain a spineless coward, who hides behind others to pursue his designs and flees open confrontation. He will not turn against you, or harm me.”

“I know that you are far sighted, Zimraphel. But in this matter, I cannot help but wonder if you are failing to consider that he is an immortal, and that a mortal like you might not be able to read his fate.”

Zimraphel chuckled disdainfully.

“I do not read his fate, any more than I read your fate. There is only one Fate, for all of us. Zigûr will never sit upon our throne, as he never sat upon the throne of his former master. He knows that he would not be able to hold it for long, for you would come for him at the head of the mainland armies, and the outcome would be the same as the first time that he faced you. Only this time, he would not be given a second chance. He knows this, has known it ever since he swore allegiance to you, and he has neither the bravery to risk what he has on a small chance of success, nor the foolishness to be deceived by false hopes.”

Pharazôn fell silent for a while, pondering her words. Meanwhile, Gimilzagar had finished feeding, but he let go of a small whimper of protest when his source of nourishment was gently removed from his mouth. And who could blame him, Pharazôn thought as the white, round perfection of her breast came in his full view, clouding his mind and derailing his thoughts for an instant.

As if she had noticed -and she probably had- Zimraphel smiled.

“That was my second argument, in case you did not agree with the first one.”

“Very funny”, he snorted. “I will think about it.”

“As long as you think fast. The situation in Harad is only going to get worse, and Belzamer is cut away from the only route which would allow him to be there in time.”

“How do you… never mind”, he corrected, feeling slightly foolish. He should know better by now than to ask a question like that. “As I said, I will think about it, if my Queen lets me.”

“Very well”. With an exaggerated move, she covered her breast, and looked up at him. “You may think now if you so wish, my King.”

In all the years that he had known her, Zimraphel had rarely been so stable for such a long period of time, let alone condescended to engage in harmless bantering. Since Gimilzagar came, something seemed to have turned inside her, and instead of throwing her emotions in turmoil, as popular lore said of new mothers, it seemed to have settled them instead. Perhaps that was what she had always needed, he thought. An anchor. He had tried to be that for her, but he had left her side too often and too long, wandering here and there to chase his own ambitions.

Now, if he decided to follow her advice, he would do it again. And if she was wrong, even if it was just for this once, it would no longer be her stability on the line, but perhaps her life.

“I am never wrong”, her voice followed his footsteps as he departed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 Yehimelkor did not know what Hadrumelkor had been expecting. Perhaps his fanciful imagination had been coming up with scenarios where they were stopped at the threshold, captured and taken as victims for their unholy sacrifices. Or perhaps he thought that the altars of the New Temple would be teeming with images of the demons worshipped by the mainland barbarians, their hideous faces and monstrous expressions gaping at them from every direction. In any case, as they crossed the massive stone portico erected as the entrance to the main hall, he looked visibly relieved to find a temple like all the others, if significantly larger and boasting of more impressive, if not more delicate workmanship. His hands unclenched under his sleeves, and the tension in his limbs eased as if a weight had been taken from his shoulders.

Yehimelkor took a moment to marvel at the fact that his old pupil could have kept his childish innocence intact through the years. Real evil did not declare itself openly, for Men were naturally disposed to abhor and loathe it, and the only way it had to creep into their hearts was to cloak itself under a fair disguise. Even Sauron had taken such a shape when he threw himself at Ar Pharazôn’s feet, knowing that he would never gain his trust if he showed his true form. Now, there was no reason to think that he would abandon a subterfuge which had served him so well; from what Yehimelkor had heard, he pretended to worship the Lord sincerely, and to want nothing more than to guide His faithful through the path of righteousness.

That was why he had been so shaken by the rumours. For if they were true, and despite the fact that Sauron had cleverly twisted existing doctrines to support his practices, many Númenóreans should have balked at this. Númenor was not Harad, or those lands in the savage East where Men would take the still beating heart from their enemy’s chest and eat it. That this could happen in the capital of the Island, that civilized Númenóreans who had always lived in accordance with Heaven’s principles would ever accept it, or participate in it, almost escaped his comprehension. If it had not been for his vision, he would have refused to believe it.

“So many people!” Hasdrumelkor exclaimed, his voice almost a whisper. The younger man had not lived during the reign of Ar Gimilzôr, when the Temple of Armenelos had been just as crowded as this one, if not more. All his memories of great multitudes came from the age of Palantir, when those who congregated to listen to Yehimelkor’s words were there in open defiance of the King. And since Ar Pharazôn’s accession, even those had scattered away, leaving only the most faithful to attend the celebrations of the Temple of Armenelos, now humiliatingly referred to as the Old Temple. The rest had disappeared, never to return, and the more he gazed attentively at the throng of people who surrounded him now, the more familiar faces he spotted among them. It was ironic to think that those fickle souls could turn their backs to the man who had risked his life to keep the Sacred Fire kindled during the seventy-eight long years of Tar Palantir’s reign, only to follow a creature whose armies of darkness had been killing their fellow Númenóreans in the meantime.

Suddenly, as he was trying to mutter a prayer to exorcise the bitterness of his thoughts, he heard a smothered cry in his vicinity. He turned towards its source, only to see a woman who quickly turned away from him, her hands fumbling with the hood of her cloak in an attempt to cover her face. But the hands were trembling, and the hood just slid down her hair.

Yehimelkor recognized her at once. She had been one of his faithful at the Old Temple, and she had never missed a single ceremony, sacrifice, or high day. He did not know her name, but he remembered her since she was a child, tottering behind her mother’s steps as she came to offer the Temple food and clothing, back when the Former King had tried to suffocate them by withdrawing all funds.

“Zairani!” To his surprise, Hasdrumelkor did know her name quite well, and his face went pale as he saw her. Yehimelkor knew that not all young priests were insensitive to the charms of the ladies who attended the Temple, even if it usually did not lead to begetting children and abandoning their priesthood as Hannimelkor had done. Still, judging from his expression, she must have meant something to him. “What are you doing here?”

“Hasdrumelkor! I… I was not expecting to see you here. I… well, actually, I…” The woman’s features were no less pale than Hasdrumelkor’s, but there was also something else in her expression, something that went beyond mere embarrassment at being discovered in the wrong place by the wrong person. “I came to pray for my child. He is very sick, and I wondered…”

Not sick. Dying. Yehimelkor could see the fear in her eyes, and underneath it, a raw desperation that gave him pause. He tried to dig deeper, but just as he was detecting something else -a determination of some kind?- she became aware of his eyes on hers. A strong feeling of shame took hold of her, and she withdrew violently, her face as red as it had been white before.

“Forgive me, Your Holiness. I am sorry!”, she cried, turning away from them and pushing past two women who walked before her to disappear into the crowd.

“How could she come here?” Hasdrumelkor looked angry. “Does she think that she can heal her son by worshipping evil? How can she believe…”

Yehimelkor shook his head. His expression must have looked frightening, because Hadrumelkor’s voice died at once. But if the younger priest was expecting a rebuke, it did not come.

“She believes it because the Prince of the West lived”, he said, simply. Deep inside, however, his innards had frozen, and he could see nothing, hear nothing around him, as if he was standing before a fathomless black void.

Far in the distance, a voice summoned them towards the altar.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The ceremony was presided by Zigûr himself. So far beneath him, and surrounded by thousands of others, Yehimelkor should have passed unnoticed, but the immortal spirit knew that he was there, and at times the piercing blue eyes grew fixed on his, as if silently daring him to reveal his presence. The High Priest of Melkor did his best not to surrender to the evil creature’s arsenal of illusions, to silence the whispers and quench the visions that he put in his head. And still, shaken as he was, he was unable to prevent himself from feeling as if all the words that came from that mouth were meant for him alone, and that each and every one of them was a challenge thrown to his face.

“…for this is the original meaning of this sacrifice, of all the sacrifices performed here and the sacrifices that you perform yourselves, in your homes and hearths. It is a pale reflection of the original sacrifice, the Lord’s sacrifice. Those words were spoken by a wise and holy man that you all know, and though his limited mortal nature does not allow him to fathom the ultimate truth behind them, the inspiration that he received from the Lord was true. For the model for every sacrifice you perform is this: you give what you have, and by so doing you imitate His action. And what could be closer to the sacrifice of an immortal, if not the only figment of immortality that each of you have, the spark of life that you were once given to tread the world for a while?”

Everybody was gazing at him, enraptured, as if they were those snakes from the mainland that could be put in a trance by trained men. Yehimelkor alone had his head bowed down, forcing himself not to look. For if he did, he would play into that fiend’s hands. He did not know how he knew this, but he was sure of it, with such a fatal certainty that suddenly his impulse to come here appeared to his mind as the most foolish choice he had ever made.

You were not foolish, you were wise to come and see for yourself, Your Holiness. For these people were taught by you, and now, thanks to your teachings, they are ready to accept mine.

The voice was cold and mocking. He fought hard to drive it away, but as he did, it left his senses as if floating in a void, and for a while he could not hear anything, neither the rest of the speech, nor the chants of the multitude. As if in one of his prophetic dreams, he saw religious fervour shine in a thousand faces, the flames of the unholy altar rising higher, the barbarian priests who flanked it with an unfathomable look in their eyes. And then, all of a sudden, she was there, climbing the marble steps as if on a drunken trance, and someone was grabbing his arm with such strength that it would have hurt if he had been able to feel it.

She had been wearing the hood when she first stood up, but it soon fell down, exposing her features, and she did not put it back. Every gaze was now fixed on her, as if she was no longer a common woman from Armenelos, but a manifestation of the divine. The god is inside her, their looks said, giving her the courage to walk on without flinching, without feeling self-conscious, ashamed or frightened anymore.

The first signs of doubt emerged when she stopped before the roaring flames, and the terrible heat made her flinch. The basin where the fire was kindled and kept by the priests was even larger here than it was at Yehimelkor’s temple, and there it had been large enough to receive the carcasses of the large bulls that were sacrificed on festival days. Where had they brought that fire from? his mind wondered, but those religious considerations which used to be of the utmost importance were now unable to distract him from the scene unfolding before his eyes. For a moment, her countenance showed nothing but undisguised terror, but it slowly abated, turning into renewed determination as Sauron spoke to her. His hand was grasping the sacrificial blade, and Yehimelkor was reminded of certain priests who were so skilled that they were able to lure the most skittish of victims into a false sense of security to ensure a clean kill.

You will not even try to save her. Which is wise, for what would you say to her? It was not my words that brought her here, it was yours.

“No!” It was the first real sound that he could hear in a long time, and it had the power to shake him awake from what he now recognized as the first stages of a trance. Next to him, Hasdrumelkor was attracting hostile stares; it was him who had yelled. Yehimelkor saw danger encroaching upon him, and in a protective impulse he turned towards him. The very moment he did so, the knife slit her throat, and a stray sunray coming from the dome above their heads fell upon the last smile etched on her features, as her lifeless body tipped over and fell to the flames.

“No, no!” Hadrumelkor repeated, horrified, trying to struggle against his grip. The smoke was dark and pestilential, but only briefly, for it did not linger among them. Instead, it flew straight towards the sky, one more show of the fiend’s trickery. “You killed her, you monster!”

The danger he had seen earlier was coming, slowly but surely hounding the steps of a young man who was beyond worrying for his life. An angry crowd was a fearful thing, indeed, and the people around them were all in Sauron’s thrall. The murder of a priest on holy ground was a grievous crime, but the evil creature only had to claim that Hasdrumelkor had made an attempt on his life, and none of those witnesses would gainsay him. He knew this, as much as he knew that if Hasdrumelkor opened his mouth again, he was dead.

“Be silent, Hadrumelkor!” he hissed, with all the authority he was able to pour in his tone, which was a considerable amount after seventy years of high priesthood. The hostile glances turned towards him, and in some of them he saw recognition. Of course, he thought: they were his old faithful, the people who had flocked to the Temple of Armenelos to listen to his teachings in the past.

It was not my words that brought her here, it was yours.

Sauron smiled apologetically, his eyes brimming with a foul mockery of understanding.

“I did not kill her. She chose freely to sacrifice her life for her child. ‘For this is the pledge of our devotion, that we will freely give what we have’.”

The quote had been intended as another slap to his face. But this time, Yehimelkor did not wince or flinch from it; instead, he let go of his old pupil, and forced himself to stand tall among the multitude. Everybody was watching him in silence now, with looks of frightened anticipation.

“That is a misquote”, he said, and to his unspeakable relief, his voice came across as strong and clear as ever, with no trace of his previous confusion. “You took my words from my mouth and twisted them to support your false doctrine. If this woman chose death freely, her soul will be cursed for eternity, but if you convinced her that her actions were good and holy, then you are the only murderer.”

Sauron’s eyes did not look apologetic anymore. They narrowed in fury, and for the brief span of a moment his features were creased in such a twisted expression that some of the spectators had to blink, in sudden confusion. Taking heart from this, Yehimelkor took a step forwards, and the people before him stood aside to let him pass, as if they had been pushed by a hidden force. As he walked towards the altar, the murmurations around him became louder, like the ominous rumble of thunder before a storm.

Finally, he reached the foot of the stairs, where the heat of the flames was intense against his skin. He looked up at the figure who waited for him, towering from the heights like a bird of prey. Or a carrion bird, he thought, the remaining clouds of his fear scattered by a strong wind of righteousness.

Withstanding the intensity of Sauron’s glance with his own, Yehimelkor climbed the first step.

 

 

The Devil and the Priest

Read The Devil and the Priest

The clear eyes bore into his skull like a sharp lance.

“Does the High Priest of the Great God have a problem with my doctrine?” The question was asked in a polite tone, such as one would use to disagree with an esteemed colleague. And yet, Yehimelkor could perceive the cold steel underneath. “I must confess I am surprised. For he has always professed to believe in the sanctity of sacrifice. ‘This is the pledge of our devotion, that we will freely give what we have’, is that not what you have said so often, standing before the altar?”

By now, he had reached the highest step, and Sauron did not seem to be towering over him anymore. In fact, Yehimelkor realized that they were of similar height, though he was thinner and his appearance much less noble and pleasing to the eye. Without the sacred purple, he must cut a rather poor figure, an intruder who had crept in in disguise to disturb a ceremony to which he had not been invited. A common agitator.

But appearances were deceiving, and as he fixed the demon with his own glance, Yehimelkor knew. For the god was in him, giving strength to his voice and clarity to his thoughts. The people who stood before them had realized this, and were gazing at him not with contempt or hatred, but in open-mouthed awe. And Sauron was aware of it, too, which was why he was trying to twist his thoughts to confuse him and rid himself of this threat to his authority.

“That is what I said indeed, as any of those who stand here know, since they have listened to my words many times over the years”, he answered. “But you are not upholding the sanctity of sacrifice, you are defiling it. You are soiling Númenor with evil practices for which the peoples of the mainland are rightly known as barbarians, practices which I am sure they learned from you.”

“And how am I defiling the sanctity of sacrifice, Your Holiness?” The title sounded like a mockery in his voice, a provocation that would lure lesser men to rage. “She gave freely what she had, just as you instructed her to.”

“She did not.” Though the smoke still flew upwards from Sauron’s trickery, if one approached the altar enough, the sinister smell grew evident. If only he could prevent him from doing this, if the god lent him strength to perform a miracle like those that were written into the old books, the assembled people would be able to smell it too, and then they would awake and realize the extent of the horror which had taken place before their eyes. “Sacrifice is a way to thank the gods for the good they do to us, not a way to bind them into our service. We are not to command Heaven to save our loved ones and destroy our enemies in exchange for lives. That is a perversion!”

“And yet the Númenóreans often sacrifice to the gods before they embark upon an important venture. They sacrifice before a journey, a wedding, an expedition, a battle. Are they commanding Heaven to help them in those ventures when they do that?”

“They might do so, unthinkingly. But they do it of their own free will, because of human weakness, and I have never preached it.”

“Human weakness.” Sauron’s eyes looked gleeful for an instant. “So, the King sacrifices because of human weakness, is that so? And when he sacrificed here to ensure the birth of his son, how weak did you think he was?”

Yehimelkor refused to be distracted by petty political manoeuvres, even though a part of him was aware of their importance. But that part could not be allowed to have the upper hand now. Like the day he opposed Ar Gimilzôr’s orders by telling a child what he was not supposed to know, like the day he refused Tar Palantir’s outstretched hand, or walked away from the Council of the realm, he knew in his hearts of hearts that he was not fighting for his own wellbeing or safety, and so he had to keep them out of the equation.

“As weak and as strong as any other man. For all of us, the high and the low, are imperfect, a poor reflection of the divine. Only the Creator is perfect, and only the gods may reflect this perfection without soiling it with the impurity of the flesh.” And you, the poor reflection, are saying this before a god, the insidious whisper spoke in his mind, and this time, Yehimelkor did feel some of the dismay he had kept at bay so far creep in.

He fought against it, with claws and teeth. Sauron was no god, only a minor spirit who had rebelled against everything that was righteous and good. A demon. And a man may be imperfect, but when the god was inside him he could briefly attain perfection, even if it did not belong to him.

“Sacrificing birds, bulls, or trees to ask something of the gods is human weakness, but it is not a sin. To give away your life, however, is the most grievous of all sins, for it never belonged to you. It belongs to Him who gave it to you so you would fulfil the purpose you were assigned in this mortal world, and only He may decide when this purpose is over. If a man sacrificed his neighbour’s cow, would this sacrifice be holy? It would not, and he would be considered a thief.” The faces he could see most closely, of those that stood near the altar, not far from the foot of the stairs, had begun to show reactions other than shock or surprise. He saw a man looking suddenly disgusted, and a woman nodding her head as he spoke. They had not yet fallen to evil, and he could not let them. “If instead of your neighbour’s cow you sacrificed his son, you would not be a thief, but a murderer. And so it is with all the lives of beings who have souls, including our own.”

Sauron’s anger was growing, though it was almost impossible to detect it on the surface. He obviously had not expected to encounter such resistance.

“And you think you have the wisdom to determine what is the purpose in a man’s life, and when it is over?” he said mockingly. “What if I told you, Your Holiness, that this woman was given her life for the purpose of bearing this child and saving him? Would you have condemned her sacrifice if she had jumped into the fire to save him from the flames? I believe that you would not. You would have praised her, and judge that her purpose had been fulfilled, even that she had earned the right to be led to the light and obtain eternal life.”

“I do not have this… wisdom, as you call it. But if I claimed that I did, and the people believed me, I would have the power to eliminate all my enemies without repercussion. I would be the only judge of life and death, more powerful than the Sceptre.” Now, the looks were turning into renewed murmurations. “What would an evil, twisted spirit be able to do with this power? It is a terrible thing to even contemplate.”

Sauron was livid now, enough as to finally relax his tight grip on his composure. Yehimelkor saw a red fire in his eyes, and for a moment he was about to flinch, as if the flames that consumed the poor woman’s flesh had risen to consume his own. A black horror threatened to overwhelm him, and he had to strive to remember the words of one of the litanies he had repeated every day and night for one hundred and fifty years of priesthood.

Lord of Light, Victor of death, King of Armenelos. Lord of Light, Victor of death, King of Armenelos.

“You call me evil and twisted because you believe your narrow insights to be the only laws that move the world. And yet, Your Holiness, how little you know of it! As a mortal, you are bound by your limited knowledge of a Creation which you never saw unfold before your eyes.” He was affecting condescendence now, brandishing it before him like another one of his weapons. Yehimelkor realized that if he had not been able to find the words to pray a moment ago, he would be feeling this shame and doubt as acutely as the fear that came before, and that both would have reduced him to a quivering mess. “I was there when the one whom you call the Creator wove the world into His Music. I was there when your kind was created, and the other kinds, and each of them was endowed with a purpose. Do you know what I see when you discuss such matters, and pretend to be the keeper of the truth? Do you know what I see when you pray to your god, and believe that you know Him better than I do? I see an insolent child who knows nothing of the world, foolishly gainsaying his elders.”

I was there when your kind was created. The doubts that had crept into his mind before came back again, and each time they grew harder to disperse, just like the waves would return taller and stronger as the tide rose. What if Sauron, despite the evil which had corrupted him, still kept a kernel of true knowledge that could topple the painstakingly built edifice of faith? What if there was something in his doctrine, buried beneath all the lies? What if the Great God had wished for them to worship Him in this manner, and conquer the world to His greater glory? What if Tar Palantir had been right, and he had been wrong from the start, worshipping a shadow of evil whose true nature he was unable to grasp?

His eyes widened in horror, and he did so he saw Sauron’s eyes widen as well, but in triumph. In all the years of his life, insignificant as they may seem to an immortal, High Priest Yehimelkor had never, ever doubted his faith. He had kept it firmly through every circumstance, no matter how difficult, and even when his life had been on the line, he had not been afraid to risk it for such high a cause. It had sustained him through the darkest of times, and, in exchange, he had protected it, and battled its enemies. Even here, even now, the very words of a prayer had been able to protect him from crawling at the Deceiver’s feet in defeat. And if he was the only man in all of Númenor whose mind reminded sharp and clear enough to oppose him, this defeat would mean the ruin of millions.

“You may have lived for years uncounted”, he said, his voice rising powerfully until even the last man and woman in this large hall could hear it. “But if we are to be called into account for how we employed the time which was given to each of us, I will stand proud before my judge, while you will be convicted of wasting your eternity miserably. Five years ago, you were sitting in your Dark Tower, in the land of Mordor, bringing death and devastation to people who lived in fear of your name. Five thousand years ago, you were doing the same. Is this what the Creator wished your purpose to be? Do not compare yourself to me, Lord Zigûr, and do not use your immortality to silence me, for it is I, who can silence you. For if you had any intention of renouncing evil, you would have done so long before our King threatened you with his army and brought you here as his prisoner. But you did not, and so I do not believe in your wisdom, in your sanctity, or in your righteousness. They are nothing but lies, and you the enemy of Númenor!”

“How dare you!”

The murmurations had now erupted into something more, something that felt like the first stirrings of scandal. A swift premonition seized him, and he was aware that he did not have much time. Before he could lose control of the crowd, or rather, before Sauron could wrest it away from him, he turned towards them, even though with this action he risked turning his back to his enemy. Lost among the multitude beneath them, Hadrumelkor looked small and frightened.

“I am the High Priest of Melkor, Lord Zigûr. You may have your own temple, but you still owe obedience to me. And I henceforth forbid human sacrifice here and everywhere else in the Island. If we behave like barbarians, how can we claim to be any better than them?”

Knowing that no one would dare attack him while still under the influence of the voice he had used, Yehimelkor descended the long flight of stairs, and purposefully walked on, cleaving a path among the faithful. As he made his way across the hall, with Hasdrumelkor tottering behind his steps, he could perceive the strong emotions shifting around him like waves in a stormy Sea. Those changing forces would soon fall again under his control, he saw in a sudden and devastating bout of foresight. He would marshal them together with even more powerful ones, come back for revenge, and Yehimelkor would be hard pressed to withstand that second assault. This would happen tomorrow, perhaps the day after that, so his victory would be as short-lived as it had been foolish and dangerous to risk himself in this way. All this was true, he was aware of it from the depths of his heart.

And yet on this day, at least, the High Priest had stood against evil.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He could not believe that this had happened now. Of all the reasons he had to be displeased by the news, he could not help but feel that the timing was what angered him most of all. It was as if Heaven -the stars, as the Haradrim would have said- was conspiring to thwart his departure for the mainland, which he had been about to announce to the Council that very day.

“That High Priest has always been a troublemaker” the High Chamberlain nodded, in what Pharazôn had come to recognize as his sycophantic voice. It was the tone that he used whenever he said something that he believed was exactly what the King wished to hear, and it became especially gleeful when it had someone else as a target. “In the times of the Former King, he was expelled from the Council for agitating, and I am told that before that, during the reign of your noble and pious grandsire…”

“He was not expelled, he resigned”, Pharazôn cut his tirade. “That is the level of pride and arrogance we are contending with.”

“I am not allowed to speak ill of my superior, my lord King”, the Palace Priest intervened, his look of circumspect modesty belied by the satisfied gleam in his eye. “But I must bring your attention to the fact that his Holiness is not young anymore, and old people often lose the ability to adapt to the changes taking place in the world around them.  It is not their fault, of course, just the inexorable laws of nature, but…”

“In any case, he questioned your suitability to wield the Sceptre, as well as the sanctity of the sacrifices you have officiated until now and, of course, your authority.” Even though they should have had enough time to grow used, courtiers still looked a little out of sorts whenever Zigûr spoke in their presence. The High Chamberlain, that undisputed master of etiquette, did not allow his countenance to betray him, but the Palace Priest looked at their immortal guest as if he had suddenly heard a disembodied voice in the room. “And not just in private, but in the middle of a ceremony attended by thousands of people. This is exactly the kind of situation that you can least afford on the eve of your departure for the mainland. The Queen is an admirable woman, but looking after the Prince of the West absorbs much of her strength. Would you leave her to face a situation like this alone?”

“The Lord Zigûr is right”, the Chamberlain nodded. “This cannot be tolerated.”

“Furthermore”, Zigûr continued, “he said that, as High Priest of Melkor, he would not allow anyone in the Island to conduct sacrifices involving Men. Anyone.

At this, the Palace Priest looked more than visibly uncomfortable. Watching him, Pharazôn was forcefully reminded of the truth that not all Númenóreans accepted that new custom. Though it was a very rare occurrence, compared to the ceremonies in which animals or other things were sacrificed, it had of course attracted all the attention, and drawn scandal, criticism and fascination in equal parts. Too many saw such practices as only fit for the feared and loathsome Middle-Earth barbarians, and though they were as eager to see the blood of their enemies as anyone else, they balked at the notion of it being spilled on hallowed ground, and even more of it belonging to fellow Númenóreans, no matter how willing they were. As Zigûr had predicted, the common folk was slowly warming to it as news of the miracles had spread around, and even if the numbers of those who were ready to go this far to ask something from the god were naturally very few, those who attended the ceremonies were many. Once that Ar Pharazôn was back from the mainland, they would not object too loudly if barbarian enemies were killed inside a temple instead of in the open air, but if a man like Yehimelkor took it upon himself to reverse the tide of public opinion at this point, there was no way to be certain of what he might find after he landed on the harbour of Sor. If the opposition to Zigûr’s sacrifices became violent, or even political, his reign could be thrown in turmoil yet again. And if he was forced to give in to pressure and forbid the practice, his position would be weakened, and he would never be able to harness the effectiveness of those miracles for his own interests. And then, Gimilzagar would die.

“Very well”, he said, breaking an uncomfortable silence which had lasted for too long while he pondered those matters. “We will order his arrest and that of his accomplices, and have them brought in today. I cannot tarry in the Island for much longer, and yet this issue must be resolved before my departure.”

“But, my lord King… today is the Council meeting”, the Chamberlain reminded him. Pharazôn rose from the chair where he had let himself rest for part of the conversation.

“Well, then perhaps the Council will have to wait, won’t it? If its honourable members grow too impatient, I will ask the Queen to go in my stead; this way you could all entertain the Prince and he might cry less for a while.”

“With all due respect, I believe that you would do well in bringing this issue before the Council.”

Pharazôn had not expected Zigûr to intervene again, much less to make this suggestion. Though he had never committed the mistake of speaking of this openly, Pharazôn had gathered that he thought it ridiculous that the King of Númenor should condescend to explain his actions before a mishmash body of councillors who each had their own idea of what was good for the realm. Surprised, he stopped in his tracks.

“Oh? And why is that?”

“Lord Yehimelkor is the High Priest of Melkor, my lord King. He may not be in the Council anymore, but he is still the holiest man in the Island. If you take action against him without the support of the Council, there might be… unrest”, he explained. Right behind him, both the High Chamberlain and the Palace Priest were nodding along. “Your noble ancestors might have had a point when they chose this system of governance. The Council is often difficult, but it is still easier to frighten twelve men than to frighten millions.”

Now, they had stopped nodding, and the look the Palace Priest gave him was one of deep offense. Pharazôn felt tempted to laugh, wondering if Zigûr had done it on purpose.

“Very well. I will follow your advice, and delay the arrest until I have discussed it before the Council”, he decided. Then, he frowned, and he could see the men tense slightly under his gaze. “I will need to trust in your discretion until then, my lords. If the news travel too fast beyond the walls of the Palace, there is no telling how this situation might escalate.”

“Of course, my lord King. We will be the very soul of discretion”, the Chamberlain protested, as if upset by the very suspicion that he would commit such a breach of confidence. Ar Pharazôn, however, knew better than to take such displays at face value.

“For your own sake, I hope so”, he threatened for good measure, before finally leaving the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Council sessions had never been much more than elaborate stage plays, at least since Ar Pharazôn sat upon the throne of Númenor. The King would pronounce the charade open, asking them to discuss important issues and advise him on matters of governance, only to sit back and watch them argue with a bored expression until he felt like passing to the next subject. The best that could be said about him was that he did not draw things out, as rumour had it that Ar Gimilzôr used to do, allowing the councillors to expound endlessly on minor points, while he consigned each word and turn of phrase in his mind so he could examine them for signs of treason. At least with Ar Pharazôn, things were kept simple, and everybody knew where they stood. When they spoke, they were aware that he was not paying attention, both if they suggested improvements for his projects or if they voiced any type of criticism about them. Even back when he had been a general in the mainland -no, Amandil corrected himself, even back when he had been a young boy -, the Golden King had never had much time for those who did not agree with him. That was why he had filled the Council with people who nodded along, or at least would not cause too much trouble if he decided to turn an immortal demon into his advisor, allow said immortal demon to perform human sacrifices in the Island, or leave for a grand campaign in the mainland while his infant son’s health stood upon the brink. Those people could be relied upon to keep debate to the minimum if he suddenly added a new item to the day’s agenda, and demanded their approval to arrest the High Priest and “all the accomplices of his treason”.

Amandil’s gaze was lost in the patterns of the tiles in the wall. He tried to feel nothing else, think of nothing else, and strive for nothing else than to successfully keep it there. For if he did not, it would meet the King’s gaze at some point, and then there was no telling of what might happen. Or worse, it could meet the gaze of the others, those who sat in their appointed seats like despicable cowards, waiting for him to raise his voice for them, and blaming him when he did not. He had come this far, tolerated the intolerable for the sake of his family and his people, and not even the insidious voice telling him that it would make no difference in the end, for they were all doomed from the moment that Sauron set foot on the Island, would distract him from his current duty of acting like a perfect member of Ar Pharazôn’s council.

If you compromise with evil, even for the sake of good, all the good you try to do will turn into evil, a man had once taught a boy who did his best to listen attentively, though he was too young to appreciate the importance of those words. That man had followed his own teachings to the point of facing Sauron before the altar of his temple yesterday, refusing to flinch from his immortal wrath. And today, his fate would be sealed before their damning silence.

“My lord King…” he began, suddenly too ashamed of himself to keep his silence any longer. As he saw him rise, Ar Pharazôn abandoned his indifferent pose, and frowned at him. Though there appeared to be nothing but coldness in his expression, Amandil could see the fire in his eyes.

“Lord Amandil, I believe that you are compromised in this matter, which means that your judgement cannot be trusted. You owe your life to this man, so naturally you will feel honour bound to defend him, no matter what manner of treason he has committed.” Do it, the fiery eyes were saying even as the words left his mouth. Do it, you coward. Give me an excuse to destroy you.

Or perhaps this was merely in Amandil’s own imagination, exacerbated by his shame. In any case, Ar Pharazôn was right about something: he was compromised, and he could not even trust himself. So he sat down again, and fell silent.

“That man has been a thorn in the side of three Kings of Númenor. Now, he has finally gone too far”, the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay remarked in a loud, pleased voice, as if enjoying the fact that he was rubbing salt on the wounds of his enemy.

Sauron has been a thorn in the side of twenty-five Kings of Númenor and their ancestors, and yesterday he killed a woman on Temple grounds, but that is not far enough for you. What kind of standards are those? the old Amandil would have retorted. The old Amandil had not been afraid to raise his voice in any gathering, no matter how hostile to him, not even to gainsay the King himself. But the old Amandil was dying a slow death in a dark prison since the day Malik disappeared forever and Isildur lay in agony before his eyes, and everyone he had ever loved was a hostage to ensure that he stayed there.

The day Malik disappeared. A vaguely ominous feeling tugged at the back of his consciousness as the bitter memories filled his mind. There were no remains, the King had told him, and for a moment he had looked almost… guilty as he said that, despite the fact that he believed he had every reason in the world to feel self-righteous. They had been burned in the manner of his ancestors. Burned, like the body of that poor woman who had died to save her child.

No, his mind screamed, too late, for it was already taken by assault by the images of a dying Isildur suddenly opening his eyes, and gazing at something invisible. As if he was living through it again, he felt the heat leaving his grandson’s skin, and colour returning to his cheeks while his laboured breath became quieter and even.

Malik, no!

Back when he had appeared before the King, Ar Pharazôn’s first question had been about Isildur’s health. Amandil had understood this as a veiled threat, and a subtle reminder that he was aware of the details of what had transpired in the Outer Courtyard of the Palace. But now, as he revisited the conversation, the question acquired a new meaning, which made his heart freeze in his innards.

I am the High Priest of Melkor, Lord Zigûr, they said that Yehimelkor’s words had been in the New Temple. And I henceforth forbid human sacrifice here and everywhere else in the Island.

Had the High Priest been a fool, unable to realize that Sauron would not have been doing what he did without the support of the Sceptre, which superseded the will of everyone else? No, his own mind answered. Yehimelkor was no fool: he probably knew his orders would be overridden and his words used against him, and also that, with them, he was setting himself as the deceitful spirit’s most conspicuous enemy on the Island. But none of these considerations had stopped him, for he had seen Sauron’s threat for what it was, and realized that there was nothing in this world which could ever be more important than fighting it. People like those who sat in this Council would laugh at a man like him, who could perform an action regardless of its consequences, and yet without a man like him, Amandil himself would be dead, and the family he had been vainly trying to protect would never have existed. And if there was the tiniest sliver of hope that the tide could be reversed, and Númenor saved from drowning, it would be because of men like him.

As the Council session drew to a close, Amandil found it harder and harder not just to pay attention to the matters discussed, but even to remain sitting, giving no signs of his inner turmoil. He remembered his harsh, uncompromising grandfather, whose struggles he had never been able to appreciate. All those generations of venerable ancestors, whose difficult yet honourable lives he had memorized: the ones who had wasted away in exile, the ones who had died untimely, and the ones who had sacrificed themselves, because they held fast to their belief that they alone could save Númenor from destruction. Through all their ordeals, they had proudly called themselves the Faithful, the only ones left to oppose evil after the rest of the Island had turned their backs on them and their struggle.

Now he, Amandil of Andúnië, was their eighteenth-generation successor. He was the current heir to their dynasty, and by virtue of that, the leader of the Faithful in both the Island and the mainland. He should have been the one to stand proudly before Sauron and speak against his foul deeds, but he had not. He had been too busy hiding like a coward, careful to measure his words in the Council so as to not cause offense. Though he already had more than enough evidence against this evil, he had still tried to contemporize, to compromise with what was happening, not actively collaborating with it, perhaps, but enabling it with his silence. And while he was doing that, the High Priest of Melkor, a man whom his predecessors would all have shunned without a moment of hesitation, had become the leader of the Faithful.

You still do not understand, do you? There is nothing you can do.

I will not listen to you, he told the hated voice from his dreams while he walked past the labyrinthic corridors full of courtiers, the gardens, the gates whose guards had stared at him in outright suspicion ever since a man of Andúnië was convicted of killing two of their colleagues. For you, too, are the voice of evil, and we must close our hearts and minds against it or it will take hold of us. And once it does, it will be too late.

As he set foot outside, and felt the warmth of the sun on his face, Amandil’s mind finally fell silent.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The High Priest stood before the altar, whose fire he had guarded and worshipped ever since he was a child. He remembered the first time he approached it, quaking under its unbearable heat, to give a lock of his hair to the flames. He had been frightened, and needed to be pushed forwards by his Revered Father, the Former High Priest, until he finally stood close enough. Fear is a requisite to recognize and honour the divine, the man had said to him, while great beads of sweat fell down his burning forehead and blurred his sight. You are afraid because, in your heart of hearts, you know that the god is there.

Yehimelkor had consecrated his life to the god, and for every moment of every day of all those years, He had received his unquestioning love and devotion. Fear had soon receded into the background, pushed aside by those warmer emotions, and yet he had known better than to discard it completely. A god should always be feared, and this fear should act as an anchor when the world was in turmoil and everything seemed to have been turned upside down. If a King proclaimed it was sinful to sacrifice to Him, backing it with the authority of his Sceptre, if another gave his heart to terrible superstitions brought from the mainland by a demon who should have stayed buried in darkness, only fear of the god’s wrath, much greater than that of any mortal King or immortal spirit, could keep a man’s imperfect soul on the right path.

Now, for the first time since those childhood memories, this fear was holding him back, instead of showing him the right path to follow.

“Should we… do it?” a voice behind him asked, the hesitation evident in its tone. Yehimelkor’s mouth opened to reply, but the words did not come out. He tried not to think of the endless vigils by the fire altar, the daily sacrifices, the way the flames had soared higher after receiving their due tribute on festival days. This fire has burned bright under the watch of generation after generation of High Priests. One day, it will be under your care, and if you ever let it die the god will leave the Island forever, and His wrath will be upon your head for eternity.

Yehimelkor should not be this afraid. They had harvested three burning coals for preservation, and every precaution had been taken to store and protect them from the other treacherous elements, which would always seek to weaken it. He was aware that the King’s men were coming for him, and that once the demon had sunk his claws on him, he would want to lay a claim on this Temple, the chief temple of Númenor and earthly abode of the Great God. He would defile the altar, and its holy flames would be darkened and corrupted by his sinful rituals. With a shiver of disgust, he remembered the smile in the woman’s face an instant before her body toppled over and fell. Even if the god’s wrath was upon his head for eternity, he could not allow this fate to befall the sacred fire of the Temple of Armenelos. And if He left the Island forever, it would not be through his actions, but through the actions of those who had forced him into this.

“Do it”, he said, his voice steady at last. It proved a hard battle to stand there without averting his glance, watching as priests carried the drapes, wet and heavy, and dropped them over the fire. The fight was long and intense, and smoke flew in all directions, making them cough, and their reddened eyes tear. Through all of it, the last High Priest of Melkor alone did not retreat, spasm or cry, but he was aware that half of his soul had died, quenched together with the flames of his altar.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

When Yehimelkor crossed the threshold of the Temple for the last time, he was followed by only twenty-two priests, those who had been either unable or unwilling to seek shelter somewhere else. Closing the procession, Hasdrumelkor held the last remains of the Fire tightly against his chest, encased in a silver box. The sun’s afternoon rays were declining, and under their waning light he could see that the soldiers were already waiting for them.

“You are not to oppose any resistance, or speak a word”, he ordered, in a sharp tone. “It is me that they seek.”

“Your Holiness, look!” A very old, wizened priest by the name of Abibal pointed at the riders gathered on the square, his eyes widening. “These are not the King’s soldiers!”

Yehimelkor frowned, wondering if the old man’s mind had become addled with the years. As he did so, however, he could hear a hum of excitement grow around him. A man was approaching them on horseback, and the High Priest stared sharply at him in search of signs that might allow him to recognize his opponent.

Two familiar sea-grey eyes stared back at his.

“Holiness”, the rider saluted, with a respectful bow. Yehimelkor’s stomach plummeted.

Our ties are broken, and I advise you to respect this notion. A great disaster is in store for you if our paths ever cross again.

Back when he had said those words, the young priest had looked so broken, so devastated that for a moment he had felt pity for him despite his betrayal. But Yehimelkor had not been able to take them back, because they had never been his to take. They were true, as true as all his visions had always been, and he had thought that Hannimelkor understood this, being another descendant of Ar Indilzâr endowed with foresight.

Apparently, he had been wrong.

“Amandil of Andúnië”, he replied, the alien name sounding almost like an insult from his lips.  Worry and rage waged a battle inside his soul, the very soul he had thought would never feel alive again. “Why did you disregard my warning?”

Hannimelkor ignored this question.

“There is no time for arguments. We must hurry, or all will be lost. These men” he pointed with a gesture of his hand at a small army that seemed to wait patiently behind him, doing their best not to pay heed to the crowd that was starting to gather around them, “will take you and the other priests to Andúnië, where you will find refuge from those who seek to harm you.”

“If you do this, you will be charged with opposing the King’s orders. Instead of preventing my downfall, you will merely add yours to it. Have you learned nothing in all these years, you fool?” he hissed, pretending not to see the raw hope in the eyes of his followers flicker and die as he spoke.  He, of course, noticed it, and rushed to take advantage of this opening.

“They will be taken, together with you.” And the Fire with them, and then the Island will truly be godless, a voice whispered in his mind, one that could never belong to Hannimelkor because he was not aware of this. “The King’s presence is needed in Middle-Earth, and this affair has postponed his departure. If he decides to deal with you now, he will be in a hurry, and you have no hope of being heard, or of receiving a fair trial. And if he decides that this can wait until his return, how long do you think you will last in prison, with the Lord Zigûr bent upon your destruction? He will finish you and your people, before there is any chance that you can change the King’s mind.”

“And you think that the King will be too busy with his war to pursue me all the way to Andúnië, and that you will escape unscathed from this defiance because you are his friend?”, Yehimelkor spat. He remembered when both had been children, playing in secret in the Temple Gardens, and the Prince Pharazôn’s friendship had meant so much to Hannimelkor that it had given him the will to defy the Temple authorities and his Revered Father, even to risk his own life. So much trust misplaced, he thought bitterly.

But his former pupil shook his head.

“No. I do not believe I will escape unscathed. But you did not let this stop you when you saved a child who was the son of traitors.”

Yehimelkor bit his lip angrily.

“Our ties were broken long ago. There is no debt between us, no alliance, and no love. I did not save the son of traitors for his own sake, but for the sake of justice and righteousness, and he owes me nothing.”

Though there had been no friendly words between them since that fateful last night in the Temple, he would not have spoken so harshly if he had not been driven by concern. But harshness was the only way to make Hannimelkor back away, and leave him alone to suffer his fate in peace instead of persisting in his foolish attempts to share it.

The lord of Andúnië, however, seemed bent on proving him wrong.

“Then, I do not help a man falsely accused of treason for his own sake, but for the sake of justice and righteousness, and he owes me nothing” he replied serenely, withstanding his glance as he had never been able to do before. “If this makes us even, it is not by design, but because you raised me, and I learned from you. And I swear I will never forget your teachings again.”

Yehimelkor had to swallow an unexpected knot from his throat. He cursed himself for his weakness. His spirit felt quenched, like the altar fire after they smothered it with wet cloth, leaving only wisps of smoke as it died.

“Take them with you” he asked, ashamed of his surrender. “Protect them from harm, and especially Hadrumelkor. Do not let any of the minions of the Dark Lord approach him, for what he carries is more important than all of our lives put together.”

Hasdrumelkor protested in loud tones, guessing his intentions, and his protests kindled a surge of argument around him. He frowned in irritation. There was no time for this.

“If they have me, they will not bother with you. I am the one they want.”

“I beg to differ”, Hannimelkor said, setting foot on the stone pavement and standing before him. He had grown taller, the High Priest realized. “Now, they also want me. And if I lay myself open to their accusations by taking your men under my protection, that you are among them or not will make little difference. Except to you, of course.”

“We will never leave without you!” Hasdrumelkor shouted, emboldened in his defiance. A chorus of voices rose in support, and Yehimelkor realized, in a sharp flash of foresight, that if they did not hurry now, they were lost. Giving up the last of his pride, he took the lord of Andúnië’s hand, and let himself be helped on the horse’s back. The man’s arms were strong and steady, though as Yehimelkor was lifted by them, he was able to detect the smallest upsurge of fear and trepidation at the consequences of the decision he had made. But it was a contained emotion, not one that threatened to overwhelm his composure or upset his resolve. Everything he had said, he had truly meant it.

“Go. Adûnazer will guide you and protect you on the way. “As he said this, Hannimelkor nodded at one of the other men, who looked like a seasoned, rather elderly veteran. The looks that this man gave Yehimelkor were slightly hostile, as was to be expected from one of those who called themselves the Faithful, but it was also apparent that he would fulfil any duty his lord demanded of him to the best of his ability. Satisfied on this count, the High Priest of Melkor watched as about half of the Andúnië party dismounted and offered their horses to his fellow priests, who mounted them quickly, some on their own, others with help. Hasdrumelkor seemed to be at some difficulty to manage his delicate burden and the reins at once, but after a while he managed to find the appropriate position.

Once they were all set, Hannimelkor made a sign, and Adûnazer barked orders at his followers. Slowly, the party was set in motion, and two of the riders fell back to escort Yehimelkor at the back of the column.

While they rode away from the square and into a narrow street, the last glimpse he had of his former pupil was that of a small, vulnerable looking figure, standing in the midst of a large crowd. As he gazed in his direction, he suddenly had a vision where a towering shadow rose above Hannimelkor’s head, and threatened to swallow him. Before he could see whether this was the famous Wave the Former King had spoken about, however, it disappeared, and Hannimelkor with it.

Quietly, Yehimelkor muttered a prayer.

Unlikely Allies

Read Unlikely Allies

 

 

The news that the sacred altar of the Temple had been extinguished by renegade priests travelled across Armenelos like wildfire. Shouts and lamentations filled streets, gardens, corridors and halls as they were crowded by the disconsolate, the angry, and the curious. Groups of people joined their voices in chants and prayers, imploring the King of Armenelos not to depart the Island, while others, a remnant of the converts of the Former King’s reign, or perhaps overenthusiastic followers of the new rites, jeered and mocked them. Fights broke out in this charged air, before the open indifference of the Armenelos Guards, who were too busy searching each and every room of the Temple for the escaped priests.

 

Zigûr advanced towards the altar, his serene features contrasting eerily with the turmoil around him. When people saw him approach, they ceased in their activities and gaped in wide-eyed awe, moving only to stand aside and let him pass. Though the throng became thicker in the vicinity of the steps which used to lead to the sacred flames, he crossed it without the hem of his robe ever brushing against anyone. As he ascended the stairs, the whole hall grew silent, and all eyes were inexorably drawn towards his figure, small and dark for those who stood at a distance, but visible even to the men and women who stood under the portico of the Entrance Hall because they had been unable to get in.

 

“Do not fear”, he said, and his voice, too, carried across the wide expanse of wrought stone. “Those priests believed they had the power to make the Great God leave the Island. But they are wrong, for the Lord Melkor will never abandon Númenor, as long as the hearts of the people are turned towards Him.” Slowly, yet purposefully, he reached the edge of the great altar, a grand obsidian structure whose ancient reliefs were now visible for the first time in living memory. As he stretched a pale hand and snatched a fistful of cinders, a sigh carried across the hall, and there was the distinct sound of someone weeping.

 

Zigûr shook his head with a smile. His other hand joined his first, hovering over the remains of the quenched fire while his gaze soared towards the heavens. The declining sunrays, filtered through the glass windows covering the ventilation shafts of the dome, lighted his face and made his hair shine like burnished gold. His lips began uttering a prayer, which soon was picked up by those who stood closer, then by those standing behind them, until the ripples reached the farthest stragglers. Never before, not even in the great ceremonies of Ar Gimilzôr’s reign, had so many voices joined in the same chant within those walls; the effect was like the rumble of a powerful thunderstorm.

 

Lord of Light, Victor of death, King of Armenelos. Lord of Light, Victor of death, King of Armenelos.

 

Suddenly, Zigûr lowered his eyes, as if something had irresistibly distracted him from his devotion. Every single gaze in the Temple followed his as one, and every mouth fell silent.

 

“Look!” he cried, gesturing at the cinders, where a wisp of smoke had begun to rise. A cry of wonder echoed in the hall. “The god is here! The god is with us!”

 

The smoke grew stronger, and turned into bright, dancing flames. As they grew visible, many more cries followed the first, gradually joining into a new and stronger rendition of the chant. People wept, looked up at the heavens, embraced each other and prayed with fervour. Zigûr retreated a step, then two, staring at the roaring fire that spread quickly across the monumental frame of the altar. His lips curved in a expression of satisfaction, and for a moment, those closer to him could clearly see the blaze mirrored in his eyes.

 

When he finally walked down the steps again, everybody bowed low before the new High Priest of Melkor.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

“This is terrible, terrible business.” The High Priest of the Forbidden Bay could not hide his glee. He had still been in the Palace when word of the latest development of the Yehimelkor affair had reached them, and he must be silently thanking the Goddess for this unbelievable stroke of luck. “That such a high lord of the realm, and a leading Council member, would conspire with the High Priest of Melkor to rebel against the Sceptre is unheard of! At least before now, the Lords of Andúnië could be relied upon to remain attached to their so-called principles. But well, I guess it is inevitable that a man who has changed his cloak so many times would join hands with anyone to achieve his nefarious purposes.”

 

“Perhaps you are right. But it is still very difficult to believe that a man like Lord Yehimelkor would be allied with the Lord of Andúnië. There must be something else which escapes us at the moment”, the Palace Priest, who liked to affect prudence, objected with a frown.

 

“That ‘something else’ is Lord Amandil’s past”, the priest of the Goddess retorted savagely. “Do you, by chance, happen to ignore that he used to be a priest in the Temple of Armenelos under the guardianship of Lord Yehimelkor? The clergy of the Great God is certainly not what it used to be in the time of Ar Adunakhôr! I wonder how many of them would be ready to strike an alliance with the Baalim-worshippers to protect their wealth and privileges.”

 

“He also used to be a priest of the Lady of the Cave, if memory does not fail me. Does that mean, my lord, that your people could be involved in this conspiracy as well?”

 

“How dare you! He was imposed on us by the King, and my honoured predecessors never wanted…!”

 

Pharazôn stood from his seat. As he did so, the argument died abruptly, and both men turned uneasy looks in his direction. The Palace Priest mumbled an excuse, all of a sudden looking rather frightened, as if he had seen something in his countenance which had unnerved him.

 

“If you wish to engage in this game of suspecting and accusing everyone who ever associated with the lord of Andúnië, you would do well to remember that he used to be my dearest friend”, Pharazôn said, his voice deceptively even. The High Priest of the Cave’s eyes widened, and his face went pale. He bowed, fashioning some sort of elaborate apology, but the King of Númenor did not do anything to acknowledge it. Instead, he merely walked past them and left the room.

 

As he walked across the Painted Gallery towards the old Fountain Gardens, his forehead was still twitching. At this moment, he did not want to see or listen to anyone, and the last thing he wanted to do was to discuss Amandil with other people. It felt like it must feel to be hanging from a tree and slowly gutted to death while a barbarian tribe celebrated all around.

 

It was not as if he could possibly have ignored that this day would arrive. His rational mind had long ago made the calculations and realized that it was inevitable, but Pharazôn had a history of taking for granted that the world would rearrange itself to suit his purposes. This had given him strength and confidence, which was good, but it had made him oddly vulnerable to some things which seemed determined not to happen the way he wanted them to. His son was one of them: he had been born, and he lived, which perhaps should be enough, and yet he would not grow strong and hale, and outrun the shadows that hovered over his small frame since he came out from his mother’s womb. And Amandil was another.

 

As he crossed the Fountain Gardens, he encountered many shocked faces of courtiers who acted as if he had ambushed them by springing upon them without an escort. Some bowed, others knelt, a few ladies dropped what they were carrying, and one of them even smothered a shriek behind her sleeve. He ignored them all, as he had ignored the councilmen, belatedly wondering why had the Kings of Númenor ever wanted to surround themselves with so many fools. In the Second Wall, no one had ever made such a fuss when he walked among the tents of the soldiers. If only he could have been there now, he thought in a sudden burst of raw longing, facing the enemies of Númenor in battle and surrounded by like-minded men, instead of in a Palace where he still felt like a stranger, and the only wars he waged were against those who should have been his allies. He had never wanted to be King for this.

 

When he crossed the threshold of the prison, the damp smell immediately reminded him of the other visits he had made to this place in the last years. Back then, Zigûr had been Sauron, and Pharazôn had been trying to follow Amandil’s advice not to trust any word that came through his lips, irrationally afraid that the cunning demon would be able to addle his mind and put him into some kind of trance. Now, it was not the cunning demon who had openly defied him and extinguished the King of Armenelos’ sacred fire. It was not him who had sent his family and accomplices to his stronghold of Andúnië to have them out of the reach of the Sceptre. And it was not him who was sowing rebellion and unrest in the Island and delaying his departure for Sor, putting the colonies of the mainland at great risk.

 

“Are you sure you want to go in, my lord King?” the Guard asked. Pharazôn let go of a bitter laugh.

 

“The day I hide behind bars for fear of this man will be the day I no longer deserve to hold the Sceptre.” As he walked in, he heard movements in the dark, and the lamplight fell upon the features of the lord of Andúnie, who was sitting on the floor, his back propped against the stone wall. He flinched a little, trying to hide his tears as he was blinded by the light.

 

Pharazôn brought the lamp even closer, and gazed at him at length. He was very much unscathed: though the Palace Guards who had taken custody of him hated the house of Andúnië since that bloody incident a year ago, they would have been too frightened of his high office to do as much as touch him without his permission.

 

“My lord King”, he greeted, with a nod. He was no immortal spirit, so his voice was a little hoarse, but it cleared easily. “You came.”

 

For a moment, Pharazôn wondered what would happen to his irritating composure if he lied and told him that his family had been intercepted in their way to Andúnië and were now in his power. But looking at him, he realized that his anger was so great that it didn’t even leave space for pettiness. He decided to cut to the chase.

 

“Were you aware that Yehimelkor had extinguished the sacred fire before you met him outside the Old Temple?”

 

Amandil shook his head.

 

“No.”

 

“How curious. I wonder if anyone in Númenor would ever believe that the leader of the Elf-friends and Baalim-worshippers had nothing to do with desecrating the altar of the King of Armenelos.”

 

“Probably not.”

 

“Did you tell your family to head for Andúnië before you went to the Old Temple?”

 

“Yes, I did.”

 

“And why did you do that?”

 

“Because they are innocent of this, and I did not want them to share in my disgrace, or put them at risk.”

 

“Oh. And are you aware that Andúnië has a harbour?”

 

“I…” Amandil hesitated for a moment. “I would have to say that I am, my lord King.”

 

His voice was cautiously polite, the perfect opposite of what it had been both in Council sessions and in wine-drinking nights. He did not seem to be either upset at his current situation or in terror of what might happen to him, as others in his position might be, and yet, at the same time, Pharazôn had never heard him give such prompt and stilted replies. It was as if his vicinity somehow repulsed or unnerved him, and not merely his questions. Perhaps he thought that he was in a trance already, under the control of someone else, he wondered, his anger growing at the thought.

 

“Why did you prevent the priest Yehimelkor and his followers from being arrested, when those orders came from both the King and the Council?”

 

Amandil let go of an almost imperceptible breath.

 

“Because, as you said yourself, I owed him a life debt.”

 

“How touching.” Pharazôn’s voice was dripping with sarcasm. “Though a little inconsistent. You remember some debts, and forget others. There must be a rationale behind it, perhaps political expediency?”

 

“There is nothing politically expedient in defying the King of Númenor. I sought no gain by it. If I had, my lord King, I would have fled to Andúnië as well, so I could at least entrench myself there like my ancestor did.”

 

“Are you referring to the ancestor who sought the alliance of the Middle-Earth Elves against his rightful King?”

 

“Those Elves never came. I am sure they have no intention of meddling in any sort of civil strife among Númenóreans.”

 

“The Elves, perhaps not. But what of the kingdom of Arne, under the control of your son Elendil? If his wife and children should leave the Island now and join their father, what would prevent him from rising against the Sceptre on your behalf?”

 

Amandil pondered this for a moment. In all his life, Pharazôn did not remember ever having a conversation like this with him, where all his questions were answered so helpfully and so quickly. If the lord of Andúnië had acted like this when he was still his advisor, he thought in some irony, he might even have let him keep the post. Others might have felt tempted to attribute this improved disposition to fear for his fate, but he knew better. Pharazôn had seen that kind of fear many times, and this was not it.

 

“Many things will prevent him from taking that course, my lord King.”

 

“Loyalty?” Pharazôn snorted.

 

“Loyalty, yes.” Amandil seemed perfectly serious. “Also, reluctance to risk the millions of lives depending on him, which as you know he refuses to see as mere stakes in a gamble. Not to mention the fear of risking my life…”

 

“And if you die?”

 

It had been an impulsive question, and he had been too carried away by the interrogation to even realize all its implications. As he spoke it, however, the possibility dawned on his mind, and he was forced to ponder it. According to the traditional laws of Númenor, a councilman should be tried by the Council, where Amandil had some serious enemies. On the other hand, if the situation was considered to be dangerous enough for the stability of the Island, the King could do whatever he wanted, but this King had no time to decide the fate of a lord of Númenor without risking to lose Harad - much less a lord of Númenor whose son was in charge of an army in the mainland, and whose grandchildren were riding towards a fortified harbour city as they spoke. And even if he did, an inconvenient voice whispered in his ear, what would his decision be?

 

In contrast with the turmoil of his thoughts, Amandil had barely flinched at the question.  This brought Pharazôn’s anger to a new high. What on Earth was the fool trying to prove? Had he even stopped to consider the cost?

 

“If the trial is just and only the guilty parties are prosecuted, they will be reasonable and submit to its verdict.”

 

“Oh, yes? And who will make this decision, the son who forged a royal edict before the council of Arne, or the grandson who snuck inside the Palace and killed two Guards to steal a fruit from the White Tree?”

 

“My father.”

 

“Why did you do this?”

 

Amandil’s features did not even betray the natural exasperation that a man would affect when someone asked him the same question twice.

 

“As I said, my lord King, because I owed Lord Yehimelkor a life debt.”

 

“Liar!” Finally unable to keep up this ghastly charade, Pharazôn grabbed Amandil by his shirt and pinned him against the wall, until his face was right in line with his, and he had no room to flinch. “Tell me the truth! What brought you to foolishly squander all my efforts to have peace with the Faithful in the Island and with your house? I have closed my eyes so often in the past, I have forgiven so many things which would have doomed others, that you could as well rule Númenor yourself! There is a reason why you decided to throw all those years of goodwill at my face, and if you bring up this life debt again, I swear by all the gods that you will regret it!”

 

“Very well”. Amandil’s voice was hoarse again, and belatedly Pharazôn realized that he had been choking him. “I will tell you the truth. Lord Yehimelkor’s actions made me realize that I could not look away while Sauron takes over Númenor. If I must die for this, so be it, but I cannot be complicit with this great evil.”

 

And there it was. The old argument, which had prompted so many bitter fights before they even walked under the shadow of Mordor. The invisible demon which, more insidious than the visible one, had not stopped until it destroyed their friendship.

 

“I see”, he said, willing his voice not to shake. “You remain convinced that Zigûr is behind everything I do.”

 

“Should I not?” For the first time since the start of the conversation, Amandil’s eyes sparked with something akin to defiance. “Would you have burned the White Tree and allowed human sacrifice to take place in Armenelos, if he had not been here?”

 

Pharazôn let him go abruptly and saw him crumple against the wall, then pull himself up again, repressing a wince.

 

“Of course I would not, because I would not have known that it could be done! Instead of that, my son would be dead, perhaps my wife also, and I would be heirless. The woman whose death so horrified your Revered Father would not have saved her child, and your grandson…!”

 

“Would be dead.” It was said so matter-of-factly that it even gave Pharazôn pause. So he knew, he realized in amazement. For how long had he been aware?

 

“Yes!”, he nodded in irritation, unwilling to allow himself to founder in the deep waters of this issue. “Now, listen to me, you fool! I have not given myself, or Númenor, to anyone. I have received knowledge that is very valuable both to me and the realm, but the choice of how and when to use it remains with me. A man with a weapon remains in control of it as long as he can choose when to use it, and when to put it aside. He will only have surrendered his will if he cannot be the judge of what should be worth killing or dying for. And this I have not done, nor will I do it while I still draw breath!”

 

Amandil listened to his words in silence, a blank expression set upon his features. Only when he saw that the tirade was finished, he spoke.

 

“And neither will I.”

 

When the blow came, he did not duck, and it made a strong impact against his face. Perhaps he had not seen it coming, or perhaps he had deliberately goaded him so this could work in his favour if there was to be a trial. A trial where, as he had threatened to his own face, due procedure would have to be scrupulously followed or else his family might contest it. To have him show up with signs of having been beaten to a bloody pulp might not be considered due procedure, Pharazôn thought, and it might go a long way to earn him sympathy.

 

And yet, none of this mattered now, because Amandil would not be showing himself before anyone anytime soon.

 

“As you must have known so very well when you chose to do this, I was intending to leave for Sor tomorrow, to take ship for Umbar, where the situation is quite dire at the moment. I cannot evade or postpone that journey without terrible consequences for our Middle-Earth colonies, so I will not tarry here, for you or anyone else. As this affair is too complex to be solved before my departure, you will have to remain here until I return. But I warn you, Amandil! If your son, your grandson, or anyone else among your kinsmen or people makes a single wrong move in my absence, it will be you who pays for it!”

 

The lord of Andúnië grimaced, touching his jaw fastidiously until he seemed to be satisfied that there was no serious injury. Then, he turned his head to the other side and spat out the blood.

 

“Could you pass me the water?” he asked. Pharazôn stayed still for a moment, unable to decide whether to pass him the jar or strike him again. In the end, he did neither. “I guess this is farewell, then. You will emerge victorious from your war, as always, and your enemies will be slaughtered upon some sacred altar in one of the mainland temples. But your new friend Zigûr will not waste such a good opportunity to eliminate me in your absence. And if this allows him to throw Númenor in turmoil and set Andúnië against the rest of the Island, all the better for him.”

 

The King of Númenor gazed at his old friend, incredulously, but there was no mockery in his expression, and no deceit either. He was perfectly serious.

 

“Zigûr knows better than to move a finger without my permission, I assure you,” he hissed, angry again at the man’s stubbornness. “You should fear him less, and fear me more.”

 

Amandil did not answer. With a shrug of irritation, Ar Pharazôn turned away from him, and made a sign for the guard on duty to open the door. Before he left, however, he stopped one last time to gaze at the figure that leaned on the wall, under the faint glow of the lamp. There was still some blood on his face and he was not moving, and, for the brief span of a moment, he had the eerie feeling that he was looking at a corpse.

 

I guess this is farewell then.

 

It is not farewell, Amandil, he thought, as he walked back into the red light of dusk. I am not done with you yet.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

“You should be thinking about the war ahead of you, but instead you are beset with concerns from so many fronts. Are you sure that this is the mindset with which you should take ship for the mainland?”

 

“On the contrary, a war is the only thing which could possibly distract me from this.” Pharazôn watched idly as little Gimilzagar grabbed the hem of his mother’s robes from the floor, but of course he was not strong enough to pull himself up, even to a sitting position. Frustrated, he began to cry, and she promptly scooped him up in her arms. Perhaps she should let him try harder for once, he thought. “I must admit, however, that if I could allow myself to have second thoughts, I would be tempted to claim that privilege.”

 

“I can see why you would.” Her smile was a little tense as she cradled the child against her chest. “But I can also see that you are forgetting something.”

 

“Am I?” For a moment, he was almost ashamed at how eager he was to be pointed towards some flash of insight, as insufficient as it may be to solve his current problems. His departure was set, Amandil was secure in his prison, the Fire re-established and Zigûr appropriately cowed into submission, but the doubts introduced in his mind by the fool from Andúnië had proved annoyingly persistent. Zimraphel had said that the former Dark Lord of Mordor was a coward at heart, that he would never dare oppose him openly. But his ability for subterfuge and hidden dealings could still allow him to wreak damage that no one would be able to trace back to him. Perhaps he would be well advised to take him to Middle-Earth, where he could keep him under his eye at all times.

 

“You chose to bring him to Númenor to cut him away from his power base, and to prevent the possibility of his escape. If you take him to Harad, where his former allies have risen in arms and you may find yourself in perilous situations, wouldn’t it be harder to keep him under control?”, she asked. “And what you are forgetting is that, while you are in the mainland, I will be here, holding the Sceptre.”

 

“Believe me, I have not forgotten that for a moment”, he said wryly. She frowned, in obvious displeasure at his choice of words.

 

“Then, why are you having second thoughts?” Her look and her voice were challenging, both of them reminders of her old flights of temper from before Gimilzagar was born. “Do you doubt my ability to rule Númenor?”

 

If he could merely hide his thoughts, he would have made a greater effort to be conciliating.

 

“It depends on the circumstance. Each person has their strong and their weak points. Not everyone is suited to the same purpose.”

 

“I know what you are thinking. I know what everyone is thinking. I see your miserable fates day and night, and people are too scared to meet my gaze, because they think they can hide things from me if I do not look into their eyes.”

 

“I know that!” he argued. “That is why when we join forces, no one is able to withstand us, but when we are left to our own devices, we have our weaknesses. Foresight alone is not all-powerful, Zimraphel. You could see your own death, but you still needed Zigûr to prevent it. Now, you could also see many things, and still be unable to prevent them. You are no general, no warrior, and no politician. You have never concerned yourself with those petty struggles, or cared for getting your hands dirty. And now you expect me to drop someone who has never learned how to swim in the raging waters of the Sea, and just hope for their survival?”

 

She stood up, livid, and too late he realized his poor choice of words. In her arms, Gimilzagar promptly started fussing and crying again.

 

“Do not speak to me about raging waters. I have been swimming in them ever since I was born, and I saw my brother drowned before my eyes. And I will be swimming in them on the day I die”, she hissed. “Go and defeat your petty savages in a forgotten corner of the mainland! Númenor will be waiting for you upon your return, as will Zigûr, Yehimelkor, the lord of Andúnië and all his wretched family. And then you will celebrate your triumph before the adoring crowds, and take back your Sceptre.”

 

Our Sceptre”, he corrected, aghast at her anger. “Zimraphel, I did not mean to imply… I was only…” He took a long, very sharp breath, wondering why it felt so damning to speak some things aloud. “Very well, if that is your wish, I will say it. I am worried.  You may not know how this feels, as uncertainty is such an alien emotion to you. But every other mortal battles it at some point, even those who are known as the Golden King of Númenor!”

 

“That is what I am trying to tell you, but you will not listen!” As she spoke, she laid Gimilzagar on the floor again, and this time the child set his sight on him.  Clumsily, he began trying to stretch his body in his direction, but he lacked both the coordination and the strength needed to advance.  “Uncertainty is an alien emotion to me, Pharazôn. When I say that your worries are groundless, I know it. And you should take my word for it.”

 

Gimilzagar gave up, and dissolved in a mess of tears. Still, he had tried for longer than usual this time, and Pharazôn stretched his hand, to see if he could help him. The boy gazed at it wide-eyed, then extended his own, pitifully thin hand to grab his finger. There was barely any strength in his grip, but he did not let go.

 

“He needs you to leave now, too. Look at him, Pharazôn. He needs your victory more than any of us– to give him the strength to go on. Will you fail him?”

 

The King swallowed, assailed by a sudden turmoil of contradictory emotions. The innocent gaze of Gimilzagar became Amandil’s accusing eyes, narrowing in insolent disbelief while Pharazôn claimed that he had not surrendered his will as long as he could decide on his own what should be worth killing or dying for. A memory of the Haradric fool’s blood trickling down his chest while Zigûr pressed the knife against his throat flickered in and out of his mind, turning into an endless succession of Haradric fools bleeding to death as the altar consumed their life force.

 

Gimilzagar gurgled happily, and the images disappeared as they had come. He wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead, letting his palm linger there for longer than necessary, pressed against his throbbing temple.

 

It had been worth it. Everything would be worth it, in the end, and if uncertainty was to be the price, then so be it. After all, in spite of Zigûr’s fantastic tales, he was still a mortal.

 

“Very well, then”, he surrendered, with a bow. “I will sail to the mainland and leave you to it, my Queen.”

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

It was difficult to find sleep while on a cell. He was not exactly uncomfortable – he had been given everything he required, and he was not old enough to have forgotten what it was to sleep in a tent or even in the open field-, and the silence was almost absolute, broken only by a few smatterings of conversation whenever a Guard came to relieve his comrade. But his head was full of thoughts, and there was no one to help him disentangle them until they were orderly enough to be dealt with one at a time. He had been trying to do so himself, but it was proving a slow and painstaking process that absorbed most of his energy, even though he had nowhere else to direct it. And though on the outside he was a model of composure, complex elucubrations about his fate and that of his loved ones tended to obscure everything else for long, morbid periods of time.

 

He had done the right thing. This was something he had known since the beginning, and he still remained convinced of it now, while facing the consequences of his actions. Pharazôn’s visit had proved quite illustrative: as he sat there speaking to his old friend, listening to his words and studying his expressions, he had the total certainty that if Yehimelkor had been in his place, he would be dead. Not that Amandil was not in danger himself; not so much from the trial, which, in spite of the King’s loud words after the White Tree incident, he knew would be scrupulously fair, as from its postponement. He had done his best to impress upon his interlocutor the dangers he incurred by trusting the former Lord of Mordor, but he was not sure if his concerns had been heard or addressed, or even if it was possible to address them in an effective way. If it was not, sudden death could find him at any moment, during his waking hours or while he slept, perhaps after he finished drinking that jar of water or eating his breakfast. Amandil was not unfamiliar with the concept of his life being at risk –in fact, he had made its acquaintance quite early, while still in his childhood- but the risks to his family and the people of Andúnië concerned him. If he should die, custom dictated that Lord Númendil should take charge, at least until an official succession ceremony could take place and the King ratified it. Since the King was not available to ratify anything at the moment, even if he should be in the mood to do so, and Amandil’s own heir was at the other side of the Great Sea, everything hinged on Númendil being willing, and able, to control everyone around him. And though he had many excellent traits, including the wisdom to face this crisis and many more, a forceful personality was not among them.

 

If only Elendil was in Númenor. But then, if he was, people would not be walking on eggshells around Amandil, as if any false move could spark a civil war. The Council, even Pharazôn’s fears of what could happen might very easily turn into accusations of what Amandil had wanted to happen. And though Amandil knew that Elendil would never rise in arms against the Sceptre, if his father should die while in the Palace of Armenelos and his family made the terrible mistake of seeking him instead of the protection of the Elves, he would be treated as a rebel nonetheless. In his place, Amandil had to admit that he might be tempted by the idea of declaring Arne an independent kingdom, free from the growing shadow of Sauron, his evil rites, and his twisted designs. But Ar Pharazôn had not let the Dark Lord himself be when he was entrenched in his tower of Barad-dûr, and he would never let Elendil be in his fortified citadel of Arne. There was only one possible answer for any challenge to his power: war and devastation, and that was something Elendil would never allow in Arne again.

 

“Lord Amandil.”

 

The voice was not loud, and yet its sound carried in the silence of his prison like the rumble of thunder. Feeling his heart flutter in spite of himself, he sat upon the mattress and gazed through the bars of the window to meet the unfriendly look of the Guard on duty. Behind him, there was movement, and in spite of the dim lighting, he deduced that there was someone else behind him.

 

“What is it?” he asked, with forced calm. The sound of keys jingling was followed by the shrill noise of the door turning on its hinges. As they entered, he counted three people in total. “What do you want?”

 

“You must come with us.”

 

“Where?”

 

The man did not answer, and his features could not entirely hide his glee for getting under Amandil’s skin. Noticing that he had betrayed his emotions, the lord of Andúnië forced himself to stand up without saying another word. Under this pretence, however, his mind was racing.

 

Was this it? Was he going to be taken before Sauron now? The monster had probably decided that the King was already far enough from the Island, and that he was free to do as he wished. And then, a dark thought blindsided him: what if he had misjudged the demon, and he was not even pretending to abide by the King’s will anymore? Could Amandil be destined to perish like Malik had a year ago, and could this be destined to herald a new era of dominance of the Dark Lord over Númenor? Many of the people who attended his ceremonies might already be too lost in their worship of Darkness to oppose any resistance.

 

While his mind was lost in such sinister musings, he was taken through empty corridors that he vaguely recognized as being part of the Palace, though he had never seen them before. There were no courtiers there, only a few Guards who nodded at their companions with a grunt as they passed and gave him curious glances. On their way, they also encountered a woman or two, who avoided them studiously. One of them was carrying what looked like a basin of bath water. Amandil stared at her, slightly confused.

 

“This way”, the Guard barked, and he tore his eyes away to follow them through the threshold of a very ornate antechamber, whose white ceiling was carved in imitation of crystal formations from the deep caves of the mainland. More women stood there, causing his confusion to grow even more. Two of them walked in silence towards a silver-gilded door, which they knelt to open for them. Behind it, he could hear the sound of a child crying, and the truth slowly began to dawn in his mind.

 

Ar Zimraphel’s black eyes bore into his skull, shattering his thoughts.

 

“Leave us” she ordered the only Guard who had followed him through this last threshold. Then, she turned towards the women. “And you, too.”

 

“My Queen”, he bowed, unsure of what to say or do. She seemed to have the ability to always take him by surprise, robbing him of the ability to plan ahead or to marshal his wits for the confrontation. This time, he had been so certain that only Sauron could have orchestrated this that a part of him still expected his dark-robed figure to emerge from behind a corner.

 

“Sit”, she ordered, gesturing at an ivory chair before hers. The seat, however, was not empty, for the Prince of the West was curling against the left armrest, his mouth firmly pressed against it. The crying which Amandil had heard as he came in might have been an attempt to be picked up, or perhaps he was sick or in pain, as rumour had it that he was more often than not. As if to corroborate this impression, his body was racked by an ugly cough, and he began crying again, as if scared of the noise that he had made. “Give him to me.”

 

The unreality of the situation was almost overwhelming. A moment ago, he had been waiting for death, and even on his way here everybody had behaved around him as if he was a dangerous traitor. Now, he was in the private chambers of the Queen of Númenor, being asked to pick up the heir to the Sceptre.

 

The daughter of Tar Palantir sees everything, he remembered Númendil saying often. His father was unnerved by this woman, and if there was someone that he feared almost as much as Sauron, it was her. Amandil should not lower his guard.

 

“He does not bite. The day he does, the Palace will rejoice because it will be a sign of progress”, she remarked drily. He still hesitated, standing there in silence while the baby’s cries redoubled. “Have you never held a child before? I find that hard to believe. You have a son, grandchildren, and even a great-grandchild now.”

 

Her tone had not shifted when she spoke the last words, and still Amandil was tempted to flinch. This, however, had the welcome consequence that his survival instinct finally kicked in, and he extended his arms towards Prince Gimilzagar.

 

“I have never held the heir to the Sceptre before, my lady”, he replied. The child’s wails rose to a higher pitch when he saw him approach, and he tried to grab the armrest with his tiny fists, but Amandil scooped him up anyway. As he did so, he was amazed at how little he weighed, and how his bones could be felt right under the skin. All that crying soon brought a new onslaught of coughing, which was ugly enough to have convinced Lalwendë to send for a healer straight away if it had been one of her children. He wondered if the Queen was so calm about it because she foresaw his growth to maturity, or because she foresaw his death. Whatever the case was, he experienced a flicker of pity for the child.

 

“You do not think of him as an abomination”, she remarked, extending her arms to receive him. His protests subsided a little when he found himself enclosed by their protective frame. There was nothing of Pharazôn in him: he was all ivory skin, black hair, and even blacker eyes. “Not like others, even in your own family.”

 

Amandil sat down, his features a careful blank, but thinking fast at the same time.

 

“It was always the belief of my ancestors that Evil cannot create life”, he spoke after a moment. “This child received his from the only Creator that exists, just like everyone else, my Queen. Certain… forces may have played a part in preserving it, that I do not know, but he does not owe them his body or his soul.”

 

She smiled, perhaps a little derisively. From what he knew, she was as convinced as her husband that the baby had been brought to life by Sauron, but this was the least appropriate moment to debate such matters.

 

“You are right. We are here to discuss you”, she nodded. “After all, this is your trial.”

 

He could not prevent himself from betraying some of his shock at this statement.

 

“I am sorry, my Queen, but I am afraid I do not understand. The King departed the Island two days ago, and before he left, he said…”

 

“Some of you still do not realize it, do you?” Her voice was calm enough, but there was a spark of anger in her eyes, wild like the Sea. “I am the King. I am Ar Zimraphel, Favourite of Ashtarte-Uinen, Protectress of Númenor and the Colonies, and I hold the Sceptre in my hand. I can do whatever I wish, and if I order your throat slit right here, it will be.”

 

Amandil lowered his glance. Of course she was right; Pharazôn himself had told him as much in that fateful conversation after Tar Palantir’s death, but some part of him had never believed his old friend entirely. He might be in love, as strange as it might seem for Amandil to accept such a thing at that stage of their lives, but enough to let go of even the tiniest parcel of his power? To have her be addressed as Ruling Queen had been a popular eccentricity which assured him of the support of those who had wanted her to succeed her father, not to mention a perfect excuse to leave Númenor to engage in his wars on the mainland. But at the end of the day, he had figured that if Pharazôn wanted things done in a certain way, his will would prevail.

 

“Forgive me, my Queen”, he apologized, belatedly aware that she might have read a large part of his thoughts. His mouth went dry.  Would she go as far as to have him killed for offending her in his mind? “You hold the Sceptre, and I am yours to command.”

 

“That is right. Now, you must forget about the King, about Zigûr, and about the Council. You will submit to my will in all things, and if you do not, both you and your loved ones will die. It is not a threat: I have, as you say, foreseen it.” This surprising pronouncement was followed by her uncovering of one of her breasts, so she could insert it in the fussing Prince Gimilzagar’s mouth. Amandil averted his gaze as fast as if the sun itself had emerged from behind the Meneltarma to blind him with its rays. For a moment, he allowed himself to think of his previous interviews with Ar Pharazôn, and how his old friend could never have unsettled him as deeply with all the threats in the world.

 

“You are henceforth dispossessed of your lordship and your lands, and your seat in the Council. You will be exiled to Rómenna, where you may live in the house your ancestors built for themselves there, under the guardianship of the Governor of Sor. Your son will also lose his governorship and be recalled from Arne.”

 

Amandil blinked several times, trying to take it all in. In spite of his efforts, however, he could not wholly succeed in this endeavour. Part of the reason was his inability to look at her as she spoke, but he was also bedazzled by the incongruity of this place, this voice, this tone – this woman who had taken the place of all the opponents he had carefully considered and expected.

 

“Now, you will do two things. First, you will tell your son that, if he does not step down peacefully and return to Númenor on the first ship, terrible things will befall his family. “Gimilzagar whimpered a little, then fell silent. “Then, you will be escorted to Andúnië, where you will convince your kin and the priest to follow you to the East. But you must be discreet about it and avoid involving anyone else in this affair, if you do not want civil strife to break out, and your people to come to harm.”

 

“How do you know I will not merely stay in Andúnië myself, and start a rebellion? Or flee by ship to Middle-Earth?”

 

Zimraphel grew angry again.

 

“Because if you were the sort of man who would do either of those things, I would never have decided upon this course of action. I know you, Lord Amandil. You are the man in between, and that is what you will always be. Born from the Faithful, yet raised by Melkor. A lord and an exile. You hate what Númenor has become, what the King has become, and yet you would never bring yourself to turn your back to them. You wish to rebel and stand by your principles, and you are even ready to die for them, yet you would never commit open treason because loyalty to the Sceptre despite all its failings was ingrained on you from a very young age. What I am offering now is the only option that a man like you has to survive and keep his family safe.”

 

Amandil pondered this. He had to admit that he never had anyone describe him with such desolating accuracy, unflattering as the portrait was. And yet…

 

“But how do I know that my family will be safe? And Lord Yehimelkor, and the people of Andúnië? What if you want me to give my word to them, only to betray me later?”

 

“You seem to be under the mistaken impression that to convince you of the sincerity of my intentions is the only way to solve this problem. I daresay there are more people with their own ideas on how to solve it. You are right about the King, he has a weak spot when it comes to you, but it does not extend to Lord Yehimelkor, or your father, or any of the others. And in any case, this does not matter because, as you have also predicted, if Zigûr wants to make you disappear, the King will be too far away to prevent it. There, my love. Do not cry, you already had more than enough!”

 

Disgruntled as he was, it took Amandil a moment to realize that those words were addressed to the Prince of the West, not to him. Though it appeared that she was no longer breastfeeding her son, he still kept his gaze down.

 

“This has been your family’s place for generations, Lord Amandil. Exile. Others may see it as a calamity, even you will claim it is so, and grind your teeth at the injustice of suffering persecution for being the only ones who speak the truth in the Island. But it is still your place, the only one you ever had. Because of it, you are the Faithful, and you raise your children to speak your own language, keep your customs, revere the Baalim and call each other with strange names. My father never understood this. He thought that he could welcome the Faithful in Armenelos, turn the whole Island, even himself, into Faithful, as if it was a fashion that anyone could adopt at will. But without misfortune and persecution, there would be no Faithful.” At last, he ventured a small peek in her direction; thankfully, she had covered herself, and the child was falling asleep in her arms. They both looked like the very picture of peaceful serenity, the Mother and the Child whose praises he had sung in the sanctuary of the Cave as a much younger man. “That is why your grandson stole the fruit from the White Tree, and why you saved your Revered Father the other day. Deep down, you feel the call of your blood, the yearning to be Faithful again. You should be grateful that you are being given the chance to fulfil your purpose at last.”

 

My purpose has never been to be righteous in isolation, but to save Númenor. And so it was with the Former King, he was tempted to say. But then, he remembered her previous words, and his resolve faltered. The man in between. He was not a ruler, like Tar Palantir, but he was not a rebel either, like Ar Alissha and her supporters had been. He would not proclaim that Ar Pharazôn and Ar Zimraphel were unworthy to rule Númenor and call for the populace to depose them. He would not even encourage Arne to revolt, and they were barbarians living at the fringes of the world. If he did that, he would doom everyone around him if he lost, but what was worse, he would be unable to live with himself if he won.

 

He was the man in between. He could not save all of Númenor with the grandest of his gestures. All he could do, all he had ever been able to do, was resist day after day, persevering in his efforts, try to save those around him, and pray until his throat was hoarse. Perhaps someone would listen.

 

“Oh, they do listen”, she smiled bitterly. “They simply do not care. Now call the chief of the Guard back in, if you please.”

 

That night, after the escort was chosen for his journey, Amandil was not sent back to his prison; instead, he was invited to stay in the Prince’s quarters. As he tried in vain to fall asleep in a mattress that four disgruntled ladies had been forced to carry to the foot of Gimilzagar’s bed, the suspicion that Zimraphel might be hiding him from Sauron grew into an almost certainty. Perhaps she had foreseen that the demon would strike on that day, and anticipated his move. Perhaps she genuinely wanted to help, or perhaps she was doing it for Pharazôn, or because she derived satisfaction from the knowledge that she had thwarted the Dark Lord. Or perhaps she was not ruled by any of those considerations, and she was merely playing her own game, with her own purposes in mind.

 

In any case, Amandil thought, he would never make the mistake of underestimating the Queen of Númenor again.

Exile

Read Exile

“No. Absolutely not.” Just as he had expected, the greater part of his family had opposed the Queen’s plan. Also as he had expected, Isildur was proving the most vocal about it. “We have finally stopped cowering from the forces of evil entrenched in Armenelos, and now it is the moment to show all of Númenor that we will not bow to Sauron, that whoever is willing to fight him can find an ally in us! Or is that not why you did what you did, Grandfather?”

Now that Amandil was able to see it from the outside, he realized how annoying the habit of pacing around the room in front of one’s interlocutor could be.

“Sit down, Isildur” he said, doing his best not to sigh in frustration and exhaustion. He had been riding nonstop for the last few days, and before that he had been imprisoned and wondering if he would last the night. Of all these ordeals, it was his interview with the Queen what had drained him the most, making it unusually difficult to find clarity of thought for a long time afterwards. Fortunately, the men who rode with him had not felt much inclined to engage him in conversation, so he had been free to ponder many issues as they crossed half the Island, heading for his family’s ancestral home. “I will not bow to Sauron, and yet we are all Númenóreans. The King and the Queen still demand our allegiance, and we will not rise in arms against them, or incite others to open rebellion. For that would be treason, and we are not traitors.”

“It would not be the first time”, Ilmarë intervened, darkly. For a moment, Amandil’s attention was turned towards her. It had been long since the last time he saw her, when she climbed into a litter to leave the capital before her pregnancy could no longer be hidden under her robes. In that interval, she had been delivered of a baby girl who, as far as he knew from Isildur’s reluctant report, had been taken to one of Malik’s relatives to raise. Back then, he had been angry at the fact that he had not been consulted, and Lalwendë’s ire as soon as she set foot on the Island had been greater still. But it had been Ilmarë’s own decision, so not even her mother had had the heart to contest it in the end. Now that he finally had the chance to gaze into the hard grey of her eyes, he had begun to realize that perhaps it had not merely been a matter of heart, and if only the circumstances were different, he might have been concerned.

Today, however, Amandil did not have the time to be a grandfather.

“That was different. The Sceptre had two pretenders, and our ancestors decided to back what they believed to be the better claim. Even if they lost, that does not erase the fact that they did what they thought was right, and if they made a mistake, many generations paid for it. But the King and Queen who rule Númenor now took the Sceptre with our support, and shifting it would be wilful treason.”

“And Sauron?” Isildur snorted. “Does he also rule Númenor with our support?”

Amandil was beginning to see blurred lines on the sides of his field of vision. He rubbed his eyes with his fingertips, and in the brief silence that followed, Anárion found the space he needed for his first contribution to the discussion.

“Don’t you feel suspicious about this manoeuvre, Grandfather? Both the King and the Queen appear to have a great interest in avoiding this trial. Could it be that they are afraid of people declaring support for your cause? There could be many people who might feel uneasy about Zigûr gaining this much influence, and who would be sympathetic to your motives. After all, you did not steal anything or kill anyone.” Isildur glared at him, but he did not balk. “Perhaps they are merely trying to have you do their dirty work for them.”

The lord of Andúnië blinked, wondering when had his younger grandson changed from someone who tried to be like his father into someone who reminded him more of his father at each passing day. At some point where he had been too absorbed by his own problems to notice, he assumed.

“The point you raise could have been valid not long ago, Anárion”, he admitted. “But our footing nowadays is not as strong as it used to be, and though you may not be aware of this, Sauron’s footing is definitely stronger in Armenelos than it ever was. He has entrenched himself in the New Temple, where word of his miracles have spread among the people. Now, he has become sole owner of the Old Temple as well, and restored the Sacred Fire that most believe to have been extinguished because of me. Yes, we could claim that the real Sacred Fire remains under our custody in Andúnië, together with the last, legitimate High Priest of Melkor, but we are the Faithful, and that should never become our battle. The forces we can, and should marshal, are the belief in the teachings of the Valar and the wisdom of the Elves who brought them to us, who claim that Sauron is the enemy of all Men. But I fear that only our own people will listen to us in this.”

“But our people are here, are they not? And so are we! We have an impregnable harbour, the ability to receive resources from the mainland, allies in Pelargir and the control of Arne!” Isildur’s voice had risen considerably, enough to perhaps be heard from the antechamber where Amandil’s “escort” was waiting. “And the King is away with the Umbar troops, dealing with unrest in the mainland. This could very well be our best chance to be rid of Sauron, should we dismiss it with such ease?”

“It could also very well be Sauron’s best chance to be rid of us, Isildur”, Amandil cut him forcefully. “I am certain that your father will not risk the lives of the Arnians to rise against the King, are the lives of the people of the Andustar any less worthy of consideration?”

“If you care so much about our safety and that of our people, why did you save the priest?” It was Ilmarë again; her voice held an edge of steel. “If you believe that we should keep our heads down and accept what is happening, why did you contravene your own rules? After all, it is because of this that we are in this situation now.”

“Ilmarë…” Lalwendë rebuked her uneasily. But her daughter did not even look in her direction, busy as she was holding Amandil’s glance, her eyes narrowed in accusation.

Amandil stared back at her. So far, he had refused to allow the whispers in his mind to upset his resolve, which had been long and well meditated. The man in between, they said, willing to lay down his life but not to rebel. The man of the useless defiance. The man who had wanted to act as a bridge and instead became caught between the storm and the roaring gale, unable to brave either of them, and condemned to drown. He shook it away.

“We cannot go to war. We cannot convince the Island to rise against either the Sceptre or the demon who is under its protection. If we do, we could manage to hold out for months, years perhaps if we are lucky, but in the end we will lose, and the consequences will be more terrible than anything that our ancestors ever experienced, for us and for those who join us, and even for those who are merely caught up in our actions. To believe otherwise is to delude ourselves.” He stood up, trying to hold all of them in his gaze before he continued. “But this does not mean we must keep our heads down and accept what is happening. Even as subjects of the Sceptre, under the vigilance of Armenelos and in an increasingly hostile world, we must still fight the Shadow in any way we can. If we can speak against injustice, we must do so. If we can save a brave man from a terrible fate, we must do so. If we can offer refuge and support to those who suffer oppression, we must do so. And if we cannot do it from the heights of our fortified city or from our seat in the Council, we will do it in Rómenna, or wherever we may be and with the means we may have. This is something that Lord Yehimelkor taught me, too. For the day he saw that there was nothing else he could achieve by sitting in the King’s Council and raising his voice there, he laid down his privilege and never set foot in the Palace again, but he did not surrender.” In the ensuing silence, he turned towards Númendil, who had been sitting in silence since the beginning of the conversation. “Perhaps some of you might prefer to take ship now and leave Númenor for a place where your existence might be easier. I am sure that the Elves of Lindon will welcome you, if that is your choice, and the Queen will not mind, for she knows that you are no threat to her. But I will return to Armenelos with the men who escorted me here, and remain in Númenor, if not as the lord of Andúnië and a council member, as the leader of the Faithful in exile. If any of you wishes to stay here and rebel, may my death be on your conscience.”

His father nodded gravely.

“For my part, I thank you for the offer, but I will follow you wherever you go. If that had not been my intention from the start, I would have remained with the Elves when the Former King died, or I might have travelled even farther away, to a place from whence no one is allowed to return. But I am here, and so I will share your fate.”

“Thanks”, Amandil mumbled, his voice somewhat hoarse from the emotion. “What about the rest of you? If you have something to say, now is the time.”

It was evident from their countenances that Isildur and Ilmarë were not happy at all with this alternative. Lalwendë did not even appear to be considering it, as all her attention seemed to be focused on them and their reactions. As for Anárion, his old prudence seemed to be back after his brief earlier outburst. He looked down, and gave what looked like a curt nod of assent. Satisfied in that respect, Amandil concentrated again on the more rebellious siblings.

“You are making a mistake”, Isildur hissed. “But I will not escape and seek refuge in foreign land like a coward. I would make a stand here, but I am not the lord of Andúnië, and on this day I think it is to the great misfortune of our house that I am not.”

“Noted”, Amandil replied drily. His grandson glared at him for a while, as if he was the most outrageous sight to ever cross his path, then suddenly turned away and stormed out of the room.

“I agree with Isildur”, Ilmarë spoke, and though she did not glare, stand up or move, her hostility was just as clamorous. “After what we have already lost, I no longer fear anything, whether it is death or exile. But if the decision was left to me, I would make sure that our enemies did not have another moment of rest.”

Amandil closed his eyes for a moment, wondering if there could be a way, either in the waking world or in the turmoil of his mind, for him to stop seeing Ar Zimraphel’s dark gaze.

Without misfortune and persecution, there would be no Faithful.

“And they will not have it”, he said, willing every ounce of determination into his voice. “The less trapped we are by the chains of false honour and power, the farther we are from their sight, and the less they will be able to control what we do. We will be leaders of the Faithful again, like our ancestors, not servile courtiers or councillors to any Kings fallen to darkness. And if we cannot save all of Númenor, we will save ourselves and those who seek us.”

Ilmarë’s features did not soften into a more acquiescing expression. What do I care for any of this, she seemed to be asking with her challenging look, if you could not save the only person I ever wanted you to save. But again, Amandil did not have time to be a grandfather.

“It is decided, then. We will start our preparations to leave this house and head East. Take only what you need, and do not confide in anyone you cannot trust. Lalwendë…”

He stopped briefly, wondering how to articulate what he wanted to say to her. His son’s wife, however, shook her head with an easy smile.

“My place is with my husband and children, Lord Amandil”, she said simply. “If they are in Rómenna, that is where I will be. Besides, it would not be very dutiful of me to go back to Hyarnustar and bring suspicion upon my family by association, don’t you think?”

Amandil sighed, noticing the hidden tension underneath her politeness. His list of allies was growing thin.

“I am very sorry, lady”, he apologized, with all the sincerity he could muster. The smile dissolved.

“You do not need to apologize to me. You are doing what you believe is right, and you are the lord of Andúnië.”

Not anymore, his mind corrected automatically, but he did not say it aloud. She must be as aware of this fact as he was himself. Perhaps she had even brought it up on purpose.

“Be ready to depart at midday tomorrow”, he said, before turning his back on mother and daughter and leaving the room.

He really needed to sleep.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Elendil took the Seeing Stone from its pedestal, watching as its surface slowly turned a silvery hue of grey. As he stared into it, he tried to recall the last images he had seen there: his father’s sad, worried countenance warning him of the approaching storm, and the strong undercurrent of guilt in his thoughts, turning into a flicker of relief when Elendil assured him that he had always known it was inevitable.

This had been no idle expression of comfort on his part. Elendil might not have inherited the foresight of his ancestors, but he had been feeling for years as if they were trying to walk on a very slippery surface, and every effort they made to advance through it did not merely take them back where they started, but brought them closer and closer to the brink. Since even before Sauron came to Númenor, he had seen his father’s advice remain ignored and his own rule brought under suspicion, until Isildur and Malik’s stunt had painted a bright red line on the obsidian floor of the Palace of Armenelos. Then, he had been aware that it was a matter of time, and he blessed his own persistence in convincing Eluzîni to leave Arne before the storm reached him, under the wild and strange guise that all storms adopted in those barbarian lands.

Carefully, he wrapped the stone in the silk bag his wife had once used to bring it to him from half a world away. He remembered her arrival to the river port of Arne years ago, accompanied by their daughter. Back then, he had been concerned by the issue of the alliances with the mountain tribes, but he still saw the governance of Arne as a great challenge he could rise to meet, a chance to do things right and make his mark upon a remote corner of the world. Now that he looked back upon it, it might have been the last time he had felt as if the success or failure of his endeavours depended on him alone. This feeling evoked in him the same nostalgia as the memories of making love to Eluzîni behind the indiscreet walls of the Women’s Court, or Ilmarë’s enthralled curiosity at this alien world that she was discovering for the first time. All of it was but a distant remembrance at this point of his life, like a dream which somebody else had dreamed.

But Elendil had felt this way before. When his father had taken him to Andúnië, to be introduced to their newly restored family and learn their ways, he had often looked back at his past life as a swordsmanship instructor on the Palace Hill, whose main concern was to be paid at the end of the month, and wondered if it had been nothing but a wild trick of his imagination. As Eluzîni had wormed her way into his affections, he could not remember the time when his world revolved upon the slightest whim of Míriel’s dark gaze without a feeling of deep unreality. And when he sat in the council of Arne, with all those proud barbarian nobles hanging on his word as if he was their King, sometimes he closed his eyes and he was back in Andúnië, alone, trying to babble the Quenya he had learned under the unkind look of Lord Valandil. Perhaps in this lay his advantage compared with other people, especially those who had been raised with the sole purpose of becoming what their birth had predestined them to be. He might not be the mightiest or the most fortunate man in Númenor, but at least he could adapt to every situation that life thrust upon him. The Elendil he was now could wield a sword, speak Quenya, rule a kingdom and love a woman for what she was. And if he still needed to learn how to survive as an exiled traitor, he was ready to do it too.

A voice interrupted his thoughts from the doorstep, an Arnian courtier who had come to announce Lord Bodashtart’s arrival. As quickly as he could, Elendil hid the Stone under his arm, and sought the mirror which lay next to it to stare at his reflection. He looked stately in his ceremonial armour, the one they had needed to make for him because none of the regalia of the Kings of Arne would fit him. No one who saw him now, in the Palace at close quarters or in the distance as he rode through the city, harbours and fields of the barbarian kingdom would ever imagine who was truly underneath all this splendour, a man so despicable by the standards of the Island that the meanest dockhand of Sor would not even greet him when he landed there. For a moment, he felt caught between two dreams, and he could not help but wonder which one of them was real. Was he a King pretending to be an exile, or an exile pretending to be a King?

Neither, Amalket’s voice spoke in his mind, not the breathless, raspy voice he had heard through the Stone on that fateful day, but the much younger one of a woman who had always seemed full of strength and wisdom to her son. And both. You may have experienced many changes in your life, my son, but you have always remained the same, a man struggling to survive and protect those around him. And that is what you still are.

“Well met, Lord Bodashtart”, he greeted courteously. He had never treated the old man otherwise, and yet he still hated Elendil, believing him to have petitioned the King to take the command of the Arnian military away from him. As soon as the news reached him, basic prudence as the highest ranking Númenórean representative in a foreign land would be overruled in favour of his most vindictive impulses. And Elendil’s advice, no matter how reasonable or polite, would never be heeded. “I am ready to depart now.”

“Very well, my lord. I will make sure that the capital is still standing in a month.” In spite of his dutiful joke, Bodashtart’s eyes remained cold. “By the way, I could not help but notice that you are not taking an Arnian escort this time. It is not that I disapprove, but it feels… unusual.”

A shrewd man, shrewder than many gave him credit for, Elendil mused. He smiled easily.

“I intend to stop at Pelargir when I go South. It will be Erukyermë in two weeks’ time, and, as you know, that feast is very important for those who share my faith. This year, they have invited me to join them, and I have accepted the invitation, in the hopes that it might be a good opportunity to develop stronger ties with the City Council of Pelargir. That is why the men from Andúnië will accompany me this time.”

“I would not be offended if you said the Faithful, my lord.” Bodashtart’s answering smile was venomous. “It would save you many turns of phrase.”

“Oh, but I would never presume that those who worship the gods are less faithful to them than we are to our own beliefs”, Elendil replied. “Be well, Lord Bodashtart, and rule Arne wisely in my absence.” Farewell, petty old man. I will never see you again, and that is the only comfort I derive from this situation.

“Have a productive tour and a safe journey, my lord”, Bodashtart bowed.

Pelargir would be the place where the news would probably cross him as they travelled in the opposite direction, in two weeks’ time. The Queen would have made sure that her orders were delivered to the City Council directly, and then they would be responsible for sending a messenger upriver. Those men had little love for him, as he had thwarted many of their attempts to negotiate private trade agreements with the Arnian nobility, and they also accused him of ruining the metal trade with his inconvenient alliances with the mountain barbarians who used to work the mines in the past. If he cut the inspection trip through Arne short, he might avoid unpleasantness there, but that behaviour would look suspicious, and it would surely reach Bodashtart’s ears. If he figured out that Elendil was hiding something from him, he might even send parties after him, and then all his efforts would be ruined. He tried to imagine that scenario: he and his men being arrested and imprisoned before the eyes of the Arnians, Bodashtart taking charge and threatening the military, the people, and whoever took Elendil’s side. The instability that could arise from this simple action, perhaps enough to fan the embers of the old discontentment into the fires of a new rebellion.

Elendil had never been tempted by the sin of pride, for he had grown from child to man under the contempt of the Guards, and of his very neighbours who believed him to be a bastard of unknown parentage. But he knew, with a certainty that left little room for doubt, that he was the most popular ruler of Arne since the times of their legendary kings. For some reason, which he had found unfathomable when he first heard about it, the tales that Arnian mothers told their children about the Mordor campaign were not about Ar Pharazôn’s glory or about their governor’s shameful acquiescence in the ruin of their countryside, but of the tall warrior who routed the Orcs at the head of the Arnian army and saved the kingdom. For a while, he had struggled with his impulse to put things straight, until Eluzîni had convinced him that it was simply impossible. The people chose their own heroes; that was their privilege, perhaps one of the few that was truly theirs.

Now, perhaps those tales would be substituted by others, of a tall man who deceived them and fled. Or a tall man who disappeared mysteriously but would return one day and free Arne from its oppressors, he could almost imagine Eluzîni saying, as she rolled her eyes at him. Bodashtart would do everything in his power to convince those around him of how traitorous, cowardly and underserving he was, but as Eluzîni would also remind him, most Arnians already thought this of Bodashtart himself. And in any case, he could not allow himself to become distracted by such selfish considerations.

“Everything is ready, my lord”, the chief of his escort informed, his hand gripping the reins of his horse a little too tightly to hide his trepidation. Elendil nodded, walking past him until he reached his own mount, and climbed it as easily as he had done a hundred times before.

“Let us depart, then.”

With a smile on his lips, and a pang of uncertainty in his heart, Elendil of Andúnië rode past the gates of the Arnian palace, one step ahead of the gathering storm.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The gardens were empty at that time of the night, their peace disturbed only by the soft creaking of grass under his feet. Stepping away from the circle of mallorn trees, under whose shade he and his late sister had played as children, he gazed at the sky, where the stars gyrated in their immutable dance. Somewhere in the impenetrable darkness behind his back, the rumble of waves grew ever more distant as the night trickled away, and the tide receded as inexorably as the last hours in the place of his birth were sliding from his grasp.

Númendil closed his eyes. There was no wind today, not even a breeze caressing his face with the tantalizing smell of a forbidden Sea. The quiet was almost frightening, as if everything had ground to a halt in anticipation of the last exile of the Faithful. As if every tree he crossed, every blade of grass he trod upon, the air, the Sea, and even the stars that watched over him from the high heavens knew that they would never return, and that the house would remain empty until it sunk under its watery grave.

A slight shiver crossed his body, and he hugged his chest under the cloak. He had often wished he did not have to see the things he did, or at least that they would not be so vivid that their intensity would leave him paralyzed, unable to stand up and take action like so many of his descendants and ancestors. In his mind, their journey to the East was surrounded by an aura of mythical inevitability, like the fated exodus of the Elves from Beleriand, which contrasted deeply with how everyone around him saw it, whether they argued for or railed against it. That was how he knew that a man like him could never have made it happen, could never have stood bravely against a power greater than his own in a beautiful instant of rashness, where every thought became a vague blur and all that mattered was the here and now, and a man who was in danger for speaking the truth. This was, had always been Númendil’s paradox: the world, even the world as he saw it in his visions, remained in motion because of actions that were banned to him. All he could do was watch them unfold, and help with the aftermath.

As his thoughts wandered idly through those familiar paths, his feet took him back to the house, to a wing which had remained abandoned ever since his sister Artanis passed away. That night, however, the ancient structure of stone did not lie empty. The largest window on the ground floor was gleaming bright with a strange glow, so different from the dim starlight guiding Númendil’s footsteps that it seemed almost incongruous, an anomaly in a place such as this. The feeling of incongruousness grew keener as he drew closer, and the monotonous cadence of a chant reached his ears. Númendil could distinguish some words, spoken in a language which his father would have banned from his house even if it had not been used to sing the praises of Melkor.

Such a realization would have taken most men aback, those men who did the rash things that moved the world. But Númendil was not one of those men, so he just walked in quietly, and sat on his sister’s old armchair to watch High Priest Yehimelkor kneel and pray to his sacred fire.

The old man was even thinner than he used to be when he preached against Ar Pharazôn’s war at the Old Temple of Armenelos. There were also more wrinkles in his face and hands, and his used joints should be screaming in protest from the effort of kneeling on the hard marble floor. Deeper than this surface pain, Yehimelkor was disquieted in spite of himself by the eerie light trickling into his rooms, by the wild gardens around him, and the silence. Since he was a child, he had been taught that those were telltale signs of a fell presence, whom his god abhorred. And now, he had been saved from the clutches of a black demon only to find refuge in a place where other horrors lay subtly hidden under a normal guise. His companions had all fallen asleep, deceived by those appearances, but he would remain awake for them.

“I did not invite you in, nor gave you leave to disturb my prayer”, a harsh voice interrupted his thoughts. “As I understand them, the rules of hospitality imply accepting that the rooms given to your guest are for his personal use, to invite you only if he is willing.”

No one would wait to be invited to his rooms in this house, or on any of the others where they would reside before the end. Since he set foot in Andúnië for the first time, Yehimelkor had been treated as if he was invisible, or rather, as someone whose presence should not be acknowledged lest it would somehow become real. If he was not there on the lord of Andúnië’s orders, he would never have been allowed in, and even after Amandil had given express instructions that he should be treated with courtesy because he was not at fault for their current plight, many still seemed inclined to blame him.

“Did you come only to pity me, or you wish to join me in my prayers?”

Númendil smiled apologetically. Of course, his tendency to wander through the maze of his thoughts would be too much for this impatient, masterful man to bear.

“I am sorry, Lord Yehimelkor. But I have long wished to make your acquaintance, and pity has nothing to do with it. I was wondering if perhaps we could have a conversation.”

The man’s brow creased with the beginnings of a frown, but he did not go back to his prayer. Instead, he fixed his gaze on the shifting flames.

“There is no need for you to alienate yourself from your people in a misguided attempt to make me feel comfortable. You know as well as I do that they blame me both for worshipping my god -which is foolish because He is their god too, even if they refuse to admit it-, and for their lord’s actions.”

Alienate himself from his people. Númendil felt tempted to smile ironically at this choice of words.

“Lord Yehimelkor”, he said, and he stood up and approached the kneeling man so he would have to gaze at him, instead of at the fire. The flames gave off an unpleasant heat which the priest did not even seem to notice, but Númendil found it extremely challenging not to step away from it. “You must understand one thing before I take my leave. Long ago, you saved the life of my only child, and raised him into an adult by taking the place of the father that I was not allowed to be. I would do more than alienate myself from my people, I would give my life for you if necessary.”

It was quite odd to see Yehimelkor’s gaze trail down, even for a moment. Before Númendil could register this moment of weakness, however, the grey eyes had turned into steel.

“Give your life! Would you lay it down by forcing your spirit to depart your body, as those of your ilk do, or would you climb the steps of Sauron’s altar to have your life force enhance mine? Since when did giving one’s life away become godlier and more honourable than living it until its bitter end as the Creator intended? I do not recognize or desire such gifts, and if you ever had a debt towards me, your son has now paid it in full, of his own accord and against my wishes.” He grimaced bitterly. “It was because of you and those like you that the men of Númenor were first led to believe that their lives were theirs to give.”

And it was because of you and those like you that Sauron could convince them that sacrifice was the holiest rite of all, and that the dearer the blood spilled was, the greater its power to achieve men’s wishes. Númendil knew that this was the reply he would have been expected to give, and that Yehimelkor was waiting for him to say it. And then, he saw it clearly: any other man’s instinct would have been to confront Yehimelkor in defence of his beliefs, and then the High Priest would have had a ready-made excuse to dismiss him, ignore his outstretched hand, and live the rest of his life in proud isolation.

He smiled.

“Be at peace, my lord, and forgive my choice of words. For I should have been aware of what you saw at the New Temple, and what you were forced to speak against when you were there,” he replied. “Your voice rang clear and true then, even as you had to withstand the gaze of the most terrible creature to walk in the mortal world for an Age. We may have different beliefs from yours, but we will never feel tempted to bend to the will of Sauron or accept any of his teachings. You know my son as well as I do, and you know this to be true. So please, accept us as allies, honour my friendship with your own, and do not let the strangeness of our ways or the hostility of our people blind you to the fact that Amandil and I admire you, that we are proud to have you with us, and that we have a common enemy.”

Yehimelkor looked at him once again. For the first time in the conversation, Númendil detected a hint of bemusement in his countenance.

“You are a strange man, Lord Númendil. Others may call you weak and unprincipled, but underneath this there is a strength of will and a persistence which your son clearly inherited from you. You do not surrender easily, even if you have to brave the heat of flames that you never grew used to approach.” His voice grew lower, losing the contentious edge which had been there since he set foot on Andúnië. Underneath it, Númendil felt a softness which seemed alien to the inflexible man who threw invectives at his enemies and spoke diatribes in the Council. The softness Amandil must have latched on to, when there was no one else for him, he thought with a small pang to his chest. “I can have no friends in this place, but I will honour your kindness towards me, and answer it with gratitude. And you should know, Númendil of Andúnië, that this is something that two Kings of Númenor tried, and failed, to have from me in the past.”

Númendil nodded. He did not know what had transpired in the High Priest’s talks with Ar Pharazôn at the beginning of his reign, but Tar Palantir had told him long ago of his vain attempt to secure the proud priest’s allegiance for their side. He had rarely looked so disappointed than when he broached this subject.

“Kings cannot be expected to know how to bend.”

“And only those who know how to bend can hope to have a good relationship with me. Is that it?” In spite of the challenge in his words, the tone was one of dry amusement. Númendil found it an encouraging sign.

“My father, the late Lord Valandil of Andúnië, was just like you. Sometimes I may have resented him, but I also admired him for never giving an inch of his position despite the fierceness of the attacks that assailed him from every side. It is not in my nature to be like this.”

“That is deeply untrue, Lord Númendil. You may bend, and yet you do not give an inch of your position, either. If I were a King, I might be warier of those like you. And your son would do well to have you as a model, now that things have come to this, instead of me.” He turned aside, back to the contemplation of his eternal light, while he pursed his thin lips into a thoughtful expression. “I must finish my prayers now.”

Númendil acknowledged the dismissal, and quietly walked away. As he put distance between him and the fire, its scorching heat and its blinding glow, he could not help but sigh in relief. The gardens, by contrast, were cool and welcoming, and he basked in the familiar light of the stars, aware that in a short while it would disappear, chased away by a mightier and even more pitiless fire than the one he had left behind. And then he would have to depart, never to lay foot on this place again.

As he thought this, and was about to give in to the temptation of discouragement, a long forgotten memory suddenly emerged in his mind, causing him to stop in his tracks. In it, he saw Emeldir, leaning on Azzibal’s terrace while she pointed at the stars twinkling on the sky above their heads. A beautiful smile shone in her features, one of the very few that he remembered from their exile.

Look! she was saying. The stars are the same here as in Andúnië!

Perhaps this was the key to the secret of bending without giving an inch of one’s position, as Yehimelkor had said. To look at the sky and see the same stars, no matter what remote corner of the world one was forced to live in. If it was so, it was she who had taught it to him, and to their son too, the day that she interrupted his meaningless lecture about their duty to scream at Amandil that he should forget them and live. He had lived so many years, and she so few, that the newer generations of his family barely remembered that she had existed, but he wanted to believe that her influence remained there, invisible, like the roots of a tree spreading under the ground.

“You are right, my beloved.” His lips curved in a smile, that mirrored hers across the unbridgeable expanses of time. “The stars are the same, and so are we. There is nothing to fear.”

Far in the distance, the Eastern sky glowed with the dim light that heralded the dawn.

 

Miracles

Read Miracles

It had not been that long ago, when Elendil boarded a ship under the stone gaze of the Warrior and the King to cross the Sea to Middle-Earth. In the intervening years, every landscape, every detail of the Island where he had grown had remained etched in his memory, as vividly as if he had seen them only yesterday. Still, as he leaned on the railing of another ship to scrutinize the view of the mighty harbour of Sor, he could perceive certain differences, like discordant elements in otherwise familiar surroundings. Areas formerly dedicated to storage and repair had been invaded by new fleets of ships, both warships and merchant galleys, which seemed to have finally achieved the impossible feat of crowding the Arms of the Giant. A whole quarter, close to the King’s feet, had been demolished to build an enormous marketplace, where newly-arrived merchandise from every corner of the world was sold, flanked by marble porticoes under whose shadow the Merchant Princes of Sor struck trade deals with the associates of their mainland counterparts.

None of those things, however, concerned him as much in his current circumstances as the great number of soldiers walking around the docks. They were so many because a permanent garrison had been established in the hill close to the city, the captain explained to him, presided by a large fortress visible at the left edge of the horizon, if one’s eyes were sharp enough. Some of them were bound for the ships, to sail to the mainland and join the King in his Haradric campaign.

None of them was there to arrest him.

Elendil would have felt relieved at this, if only he had been able to have well-defined ideas on what to expect once he set foot on the Island. As it was, he could not wholly discard the uncertainty which had been his constant companion since he rode away from his capital of Arne. He had not been personally accused of any wrongdoing, though his father’s actions had affected the whole family. His orders had been to leave Arne immediately and set sail for Númenor, and he had done so. On the other hand, he had not waited for the official communication to reach him, but left in secret so as to not give Bodashtart a chance to exact his revenge. If Míriel –Ar Zimraphel, he had to remind himself- was prudent enough to have other considerations in mind than the mere will to find any excuse to conquer, enslave and destroy, she would have to admit that his actions had been well-advised. But he could not ignore his father’s worrying reports of the situation in the Island, since Sauron’s influence had begun to spread like an insidious poison. According to Amandil, human sacrifice was an accepted practice now, and most Númenóreans believed in its power to save their loved ones and reverse desperate situations. The Prince of the West had been purportedly brought back to life by the destruction of the White Tree, but rumour had it that he was still sick, and Númendil feared that Ar Pharazôn’s departure to the mainland could have a more sinister objective than merely supervising his armies in person. If this was true, Elendil prayed that Harad would be enough to furnish what the King wanted. The Arnian nobility had proved hard to like, but they were still animated by their own ideas of honour and bravery, and their common folk was not so different from the Númenóreans themselves, despite living much shorter lives. Protecting them had become almost a second nature for him, and though he was no longer governor of Arne, a part of him still felt as if he would always be responsible for what happened there.

“They seem to be waiting for you, my lord”, the captain spoke behind his back. Elendil let go of his thoughts and gazed in the direction of the docks, where a party of six men stood in silence, as if waiting for them to land. For a moment, he thought that the soldiers had come for him at last, for they appeared to be armed, but they were not bearing the King of Númenor’s arms. Then, he recognized one of them, and he sighed in relief even as his heart started beating swiftly in his chest.

For about half an hour, which was the time it took the harbour overseer to authorize them to disembark in the name of the Governor of Sor, the man did not move an inch from his location. As soon as he saw Elendil’s tall figure descend the boarding plank, however, he immediately made a beeline for him.

“Elendil” he said, his voice choking with a great emotion. Before he could even open his mouth to answer the greeting, Amandil pulled him into a crushing embrace.

Elendil swallowed, trying to reciprocate as well as he was able. In those years, he had only seen his father during the Mordor campaign, and the contrast between Amandil’s reserve back then and the overpowering emotion he was fighting to suppress as he buried his face in his shoulder now seemed almost surreal. He thought of their curt, awkward conversations through the Seeing Stone, when Elendil’s mother died, when Isildur lay between life and death, when Ilmarë gave her daughter away and Amandil was arrested and exiled for protecting the High Priest. All those events had happened in very few years, but they seemed to have stretched across a lifetime.

Little by little, Amandil regained enough mastery of his emotions to let go of him, and even inspect him gravely while Elendil’s remaining men left the ship and started to congregate around them. Many others had feared returning to the Island, and had chosen to remain in Pelargir, where the number of Faithful still outbalanced the other sectors of the population.

“Well met, Father”, he said, to fill a silence that the lord of Andúnië did not seem ready to tackle on his own. “I almost thought that those men were here to arrest me. But it appears we have not sunk yet to the dire extremes of the reign of Ar Adunakhôr, if they allow you to keep an armed escort.”

At this, Amandil recovered his full composure.

“In Sor, every merchant who can spare a few coin hires bodyguards to protect his person. I may not be a council member anymore, but I am not yet lower than a merchant.” His mouth curved into a smile that was more like a grimace. “And I think I have more reasons to protect my person –and yours- than most of those merchants can claim for themselves.”

As they made their way towards their horses, he filled Elendil on the details of everything which had transpired in the last months. Though father and son had remained in contact through the Seeing Stone, it was the first time that he heard most of those things, and he absorbed the news as greedily as a man who had been lost in the desert for days would drink the water from a spring.

It had been weeks since their family had settled in their old estate near the town of Rómenna, together with the most faithful of their followers. The locals had not been very happy, as the tale of how the exiles from the West had brought decadence and stigma to their community was passed from parents to children in their oldest families. None had dared express their discontent openly to Amandil, but there had been some threats within earshot of certain of his people. The former lord of Andúnië, determined to assuage their fears, had destined much of his money to repairing the roads and embellishing the city, but this had brought him under the attention of the Governor of Sor, who had been clearly tasked with keeping an eye on their movements by both the Sceptre and the powerful merchants who operated in his territory. Meanwhile, grave tidings had arrived from the West: the Sceptre had decided to return the lands of Andustar to the lordship of the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay, Amandil’s enemy. Elendil had been there when a bunch of peasants, cleverly organized by Ashad, had put a humiliating end to the Cave’s pretensions to take the Lower Andustar back through violence. Lord Zarashtart had always been a vindictive man, and his vindictiveness had probably done nothing but increase with old age. Amandil had sent people back to the West to report on any untoward moves that could be attempted from the sanctuary of the Forbidden Bay, and though so far he had received no information, he feared the worst.

As they left the older part of the city of Sor behind, Elendil began to grow aware that the most conspicuous changes to the landscape had not been visible from the harbour. The greatest city of the East had expanded, so much that there no longer seemed to be a visible end to it. For a rider who headed North following the coastline, it was almost impossible to determine where Sor ended and Rómenna began, as if the smaller city had barely escaped being swallowed by the many-headed monster who had grown at its side. It was curious that the townspeople would focus their hatred on exiles, while the real reason of their decadence appeared now more obvious than ever. And yet, such was human nature, and the wary looks of the people of Rómenna when they rode past them reminded Elendil of the Arnians the very first time he set foot on their country, devastated by the actions of the troops of Mordor.

The house perched atop the cliff was only slightly smaller than their abode in Andúnië. It appeared that Ar Adunakhôr had let their ancestors keep enough of their money when he exiled them, at least in the beginning. The view it commanded of the whole Bay, the town and the Sea was impressive, and a part of Elendil was glad for small blessings, for during his years in Arne he had often missed the Sea. Though there was not nearly as much surrounding space as there had been in Andúnië, the first lord in exile had done the impossible to endow this house with outer gardens, like those of his former home, with footpaths and statues and even a few benches to sit and enjoy the breeze.

“It is said that Lord Herendil spent many years trying to get offshoots of his prized mallorn trees to grow here”, Amandil remarked, reading Elendil’s look as he inspected their surroundings. “But he could never make them take root in the East.”

This reminded Elendil of something.

“Did you manage to get Isildur’s… offshoot to take root?” he asked prudently. Amandil shook his head.

“There is no need to measure the words we speak here. Yes, Isildur’s Tree is growing.  According to Father, it will take root wherever Isildur goes.” His look grew colder. “But he paid dearly for this, and not only him.”

For a moment, it felt as if a chill wind had come in, and the sun had been veiled by a cloud. Elendil looked down, a thoughtful frown upon his brow as he considered his father’s words.

“Let us leave the horses here, and go inside to greet the rest of the family”, the lord of Andúnië said at last, briefly pressing his hand against Elendil’s shoulder.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He was happy to see Eluzîni again, though their separation had lasted no longer than a few months. His children, however, had been in Númenor for years, and he found himself at difficulty to reconcile the men and the woman he had once said farewell to with those who greeted him gravely upon his return. Anárion was the one he had not seen for a longer time, since the day he departed with the then Prince of the South to take part in the Pelargir campaign. In spite of that, he appeared to have changed the least, though Elendil knew him well enough to be aware that this could be an illusion, which he would display before others because he hated to be observed. Isildur, on the other hand, seemed past caring about that and many other things as well. His body looked hale, but there was a haunted look in his eye, as if a ghost was always following behind his footsteps. And perhaps it was, Elendil thought with a shiver, wondering if he would ever get his son to confide the entire truth to him.

But the greatest change of all had been the one experienced by Ilmarë. The last time he had seen her, she had still been a girl, not in age perhaps, but in innocence. Eluzîni blamed herself for not realizing that the love she had felt for Malik had been more than a passing fancy, but the Ilmarë who had leaned over the river barge in Arne and pointed excitedly at her surroundings had used to entertain many passing fancies, and flights of lively curiosity which had to be satisfied on the spot. Now, all that remained of that Ilmarë was the fearlessness, no longer because she did not know how much the world could hurt her, but because she had been so badly hurt by it that she no longer cared for what else it could have in store. She greeted him graciously enough, and even consented to give him an account of the events which had led to her daughter having remained behind on the Andustar (later, Eluzîni informed him that she was safely under the care of Malik’s family, and that she had seen her with her own eyes.) Still, it soon became obvious that she did not look for either comfort or the reassurance that she had made the right choice. As far as Eluzîni had been able to gather, she remained angry with Isildur, whom she blamed for his fateful dream, but refused to open her heart to anyone else. Even she, her own mother, had been unable to make much headway in the last months.

Once, Elendil remembered, Isildur and Malik had rescued a man from a bunch of mountain tribesmen, who had broken virtually every bone in his body. In time, he had healed, but the shape of his limbs had changed so much that he was barely recognizable as the man he had been before. Looking at Ilmarë now, Elendil could not help but ponder if there could be such a thing as a broken and recomposed spirit, which also turned into something different from what it used to be. The very thought brought him such sadness that he longed to embrace her, like Amandil had embraced him on the harbour of Sor. But she barely suffered her mother to touch her, and Elendil knew that anyone else would be even more unwelcome.

“However the pieces may have rearranged themselves, we must thank Eru that they still did” an ethereal voice spoke behind him as he left his wife and daughter sitting in the latter’s chambers. He turned back to meet the sad but serene eyes of his grandfather Númendil, who stood on the gallery in the company of Amandil and another man whose silhouette he could barely see. “A great evil has been done to her, and a lesser spirit might have succumbed to it.”

“Or the great evil might have been avoided altogether”, Amandil retorted. Elendil had the feeling that it was an old matter of contention, which had been revived by his presence.

“All evil could have been avoided, if there had been no dissonance in the Music of the Ainur. But Eru allowed it to be, and only He sees all ends. There must be a reason why the Tree had to be saved, as there is a reason why we had to be exiled here. I can only see glimpses of the future, as if I was gazing through the glass of a distorted mirror, but I still believe that to be true.”

“As true as it was that I had to be taken from you as a child because I had to learn about the world, and become a bridge between us and the rest of Númenor. As true as it was that your ancestors had to keep their faith in exile so they could save the Island, or that the Princess Inzilbêth had to give her life so one of the Faithful could hold the Sceptre one day”, the former lord of Andúnië snorted bitterly. “All lies that we tell ourselves so we can be comforted by the belief that everything is part of a larger plan. No, Father! If I have the strength to wake up every morning and resume this battle, it is no longer because I believe in any of them.”

“If I know you, it will be because of sheer stubbornness”, Elendil remarked, in an attempt to defuse the tension. This Amandil was no longer the man he used to know, either, not after the loss of his wife, his lands, and every single battle he had fought since long before Sauron set foot on Númenor. And his friend, he reminded himself, wistfully recalling everything that Pharazôn had meant to his father in the past. If he had not despaired, it was almost as much of a miracle as Ilmarë’s fierce resilience was, and Númendil’s religious considerations would not provide the comfort that he needed. A man like Amandil would only go on fighting if he felt that others relied on him.

Then again, Elendil was growing more and more certain that the troubles of the Faithful in the Island had done nothing but start. If his suspicions came true, all of them would have plenty to do before the end, whether the peril came by the hand of Sauron or through that mysterious cataclysm of their dreams.

“He was always remarkably impervious to any kind of faith, whether true or false.” The third man spoke unexpectedly, and as he came to the fore, Elendil was shocked to realize that he was none other than the Former High Priest of Melkor himself. Now that he focused his gaze on the old man, his bald head and thin, emaciated features were eminently recognizable, but somehow it had slipped his mind that he was living with them now. “He has the mind of a heathen in the body of a soldier. It is no wonder that he and the King used to get along so well.”

Now, that was a strange brand of gratefulness for the man who had saved his life at the risk of losing his own, Elendil could not help but think. His father, however, seemed to be accustomed to the man’s abuse, probably since the days of the Temple, because he did not even react to it.

“Elendil, I know you have seen him in the Council before, but you have never been properly introduced. This is Yehimelkor, Former High Priest of the Temple of Armenelos.”

The younger man bowed politely, but he was hard pressed to give warmth to his greeting. He had never felt much sympathy for this man, who had made things so difficult for the Council during Tar Palantir’s reign, and though he had been brave enough to oppose Sauron, in the end it had been Elendil’s father who had paid most of the consequences for it. In a deeper recess of his mind, harder to confess even to himself, he also held remembrances of things he had heard many years ago, of how his own birth had once been the cause of the parting of the ways between the priest and his pupil, because Yehimelkor had told his father to kill him before he was born and Amandil had refused.

“Yes, that is me. The demon at fault for each and every one of the misfortunes of the House of Andúnië”, Yehimelkor replied drily, gazing at Elendil with such intensity that for a moment he could almost believe he had been reading his mind. As the moment passed, however, he realized that the man would not have needed to go that far to guess what he must be thinking.

“I would usually not contradict you, but this time I feel that I must. Every spot of trouble I have ever got into has been my own fault and no one else’s”, Amandil retorted.

Elendil nodded at this, though the words had not been addressed to him. His father had always been on the defensive whenever Yehimelkor was discussed, and it was only to be expected that he would be even more so in his presence.

“Then I will be glad to show you the same respect and courtesy that my father and my grandfather have already extended to you, Lord Yehimelkor”, he said formally. The High Priest acknowledged his words with a regal nod.

“Then I thank you, Lord Elendil, in the name of the Great God and his Temple. Now, if you do not mind, I have to retire for my afternoon prayers.”

He departed at a brisk pace that belied the appearance of old age in his features, his white tunic billowing behind his steps. Númendil, who had been gazing at Elendil in silence almost since the start of the conversation, took his eyes off him for a moment to watch the priest retreat, then sought his glance again.

“He did not wish for your death”, he said, as if he was speaking of something inconsequential like the weather. “If he had, my dear grandson, you would never have been born. By releasing your father from the priesthood of Melkor, he saved your life.”

Amandil blinked twice, as if there was fog in his eye.

“Father is right. He might have been a little harsh, but he needed to know for certain whether I was fulfilling Heaven’s orders or merely acting like a stupid fool. That is Yehimelkor for you: a hard man, but not unreasonable. Unless his god is in question, of course.”

“But his god is…” Elendil did not finish the sentence. Amandil shrugged.

Someone speaks to him, at any rate. Which, as he so kindly reminded me, is more than I can say for myself. And that someone is not the Great Deliverer to whose altars men and women are led like willing lambs to their slaughter.” A cloud came over his features, and suddenly Elendil saw the stormy mood he had affected before, the one that seemed just an inch away from despair, settle in again. “And speaking of slaughter, follow me. I will show you what your son risked his life for.”

Elendil and Númendil followed Amandil through an almost labyrinthic set of corridors and galleries, first across the main compound of the house and then, after they passed a large courtyard, into what looked like a separate wing. There, a gallery led into a smaller courtyard with a well-tended garden, where four footpaths covered in grey gravel converged in an earthen mound crowned by the sapling of Nimloth. Its young trunk was already as white as that of its dead parent, and its tiny leaves a shining silver. Elendil took a moment to admire it, then bowed slightly, following Númendil’s example.

“So”, Amandil spoke after a while. As his voice broke the silence, it almost felt like sacrilege. “What do you think? Was it worth it? All of it?”

Elendil thought hard about this. He focused his thoughts in his father first, whose answer seemed clear from his attitude, but who deep inside yearned for an insight that would gainsay his own. He remembered Isildur’s haunted expression, Ilmarë’s closed one, and Númendil’s serene claim that evil could not be avoided because it would lead to good, as it was shown in the Ainulindalë. And then he let all this fade away, and he had eyes for the Tree alone, whose perfect, eerie beauty lured him into a state of peace where every single thought ground to a halt.

He shook his head.

“I am sorry, Father. But I believe that this question is irrelevant.” Amandil’s eyes narrowed, but he held his gaze. “If we could turn back time and return to the past with the knowledge that we have now, I think that Isildur himself would renounce his dream in horror, and choose his friend’s life and his sister’s happiness over the visions he was sent. But that is not how the world works. Our actions are what they are, and we cannot change them. If they appear senseless to us, it is our duty to find the meaning in them, and make the most of what we have. Whether we would have chosen to have Malik here instead of this Tree does not matter, because the Tree is what we have. And I believe that Malik himself would want us to make something of it.”

Amandil frowned at his words, but Númendil smiled, in that particular way that caused Elendil to wonder if he had always known what he would say. It made him feel a little self-conscious, if not enough to silence him.

“We have been reunited now, after many years. We are relatively far from Sauron’s gaze. We have the last living scion of the Tree of Kings, a rallying symbol for the Faithful of the Island. And we are on the eastern coast of Númenor, the last place that the wave you have always dreamed about will hit the day it comes. Whether it was a divine mind who arranged this or not, let us act as if it had, and salvage what we can from this set of defeats.” For a moment he felt as if he was back on the mainland, haranguing Arnians soldiers before falling upon a superior force of Orcs. The thought increased the feeling of unreality that he had been developing since his arrival to this familiar yet changed place, and his encounters with loved ones who had been broken into a thousand pieces and painstakingly recomposed in different shapes. They all had to cope somehow.

Amandil was no longer frowning, but his expression was so serious that for a moment his son felt concern. In the end, however, he merely shook his head, wiped his forehead, and smiled bitterly.

“You are too wise, my son. You were the greatest governor of Arne, and you would be a great lord of Andúnië in exile, too.” He shrugged, turning away from the Tree and starting to walk back towards the gallery. Instinctively, both Númendil and Elendil went after him. “If it was not a sign of cowardice at this point, I would bequeath the Ring of Barahir to you. But I have made my fair share of the decisions which brought us here, and now I have to fight this battle until the end.”

Elendil had kept his composure quite well through all this. Now, for the first time, it was threatened by those words, by their raw sincerity that made his stomach twist. He wondered how long it would take even for someone such as Amandil to struggle to his feet again. To be the man who had managed, despite all odds, to save the peasants of Arne during the Mordor campaign.

“Do not worry about me”, the older man continued, as if he had been able to guess his thoughts. The smile he affected now was less bitter, but also a little hollow. “It is your children you should be looking after now. Go back to them. Your father can take care of himself, and hopefully also of others.”

Elendil did not argue. Instead, he prayed voicelessly to Eru that those words could be true, and that those he loved would heal from their wounds, however their shapes might be altered by their various ordeals.

That night, as he fell asleep entwined in Eluzîni’s warm limbs, he had his first and last dream of the Wave, rising like a pale phantom over a blood-red horizon.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“The last scouting party is back, my lord King.” He looked up from the map to meet Belzamer’s grave, slightly apprehensive countenance, and he knew that the news they brought was not good. “They appear to have suffered casualties.”

This was probably an understatement, Pharazôn thought as the leader came in, limping and with two missing fingers in his right hand. He ordered him not to bow, afraid that the man would fall if he tried, and had a cup of warm wine served to him. Clutching it in a clumsy grip, he submitted bravely enough to their relentless questioning.

As it appeared, the local guides had told him since the beginning that the mountain pass was unlikely to be accessible. He, however, had not trusted their word, and chose to soldier on with his men until they reached the snow-covered heights. There, the cold had bit into their skin, numbing their limbs and preventing the blood from reaching the extremities of their bodies. Even worse, the pathways had become treacherous, precipitating the animals and several men to their deaths. In the end, he had reached the decision to abandon the beasts, and have the surviving men carry part of their loads. This had increased the risk of accident, but no matter how many of them fell, he had never taken his eyes off the huge cleft of the pass looming above them, and he still thought that they would have been able to reach it if the sky had not turned completely black over their heads, releasing a terrible snowstorm that buried what remained of the path and most of the expedition. He, together with three of his men and two of the three guides had been able to escape, but not unscathed, as they had all lost extremities, and only the ancestral knowledge of the mountain folk had prevented them from suffering worse.

Pharazôn had difficulties to swallow his growing frustration as he listened to the man’s account. For the last month, no matter how far they travelled down that thrice-accursed, neverending mountain chain, he had only heard similar words from every party he had sent. There is nothing behind it. Don’t you see it’s the end of the world?, the soldiers whispered among themselves, even in the highest ranks, when they thought that he could not hear. The gods put it there so we mortals couldn’t fall off.

Until now, he had never had trouble turning the superstitious nature of his men in the direction suited to his needs. Until now, too, he had never been this baffled, not by any crafty enemy he could put a face to, but by the capricious unpredictability of Nature, in a world he could not control and which he did not know. The map stretched before his sight was a lie, a desperate attempt to believe that they, the powerful men from the West, controlled this space enough to draw it on a piece of parchment and carefully plan their movements across it. But the truth was that it had been redrawn so many times that he had lost count, that they were advancing blindly, and that every one of their efforts seemed bound to crash against an impenetrable stone wall.

Taken by a sudden feeling of impotence, the King of Númenor stood from his seat, grabbed the map and threw it into the fire. As he watched the flames blaze and make short work of it, he could hear Belzamer shift uneasily behind his back, perhaps wondering if it would be safe to draw his attention towards him by asking for his leave to depart. He had been a reckless and gallant general once upon a time, secure in the confidence of youth, until failure had come to find him. When he advanced beyond Mordor, he had thought that nothing of what they would encounter at the other side of the Dark Lands could give the victorious Númenórean army any serious trouble, and that he would march triumphantly to the end of the world. Instead, he had found large cities and powerful armies waiting for him, and he had suffered defeat, and lost many men in his undignified retreat through an unknown and hostile land. Even worse, once he managed to return, he did so to the news that Harad had risen against the Númenóreans during his absence, and that only the King’s timely arrival had been able to save Balbazer’s men from being besieged in the Second Wall. After the situation was under control, only Pharazôn’s irrepressible curiosity about the foreign lands he had found, and the need for his intelligence in this new enterprise of the Golden King had been able to save him. He was aware of it, and was doing his best to appear as useful as possible, telling Pharazôn of stories he had heard from prisoners, who seemed to keep some collective memories of their kingdom having been twice invaded from the North, by warriors who dwelt beyond the white mountains. And Pharazôn had listened to him.

“Belzamer”, he said. The man tensed.

“Yes, my lord King?”

“How long will our provisions last?”

“Er… well, if we start reducing them to half-rations…”

“No.” If the wretch wanted to inflate the numbers by any means, they were probably not good. “I will ask again: how long will our provisions, with rations designed to keep men strong and ready to fight and withstand the hardships of the weather, be able to last from now?”

“A month, perhaps a month and a half. Two, if we are careful”, he added with what he probably intended as a bright smile, but came out looking like a grimace instead.

“Then, let us be careful”, Pharazôn replied, sizing him with a cold glare that belied the fire rising inside him. “We can start by not wasting any more food on those who serve no purpose. Like you, Belzamer. You are a general but you do not lead. You are a soldier but you do not fight. You are my aide but you do not give me useful information. Brave men are volunteering to risk their lives to find a way across the mountains every day, but you prefer to stay here by the fireside.”

Belzamer went pale. Though he was standing far from the hearth, and therefore in a relatively cold environment, a bead of sweat rolled down his forehead.

“I… will volunteer if you wish me to, my lord King.”

“Excellent initiative.” Pharazôn smiled ironically. “You may go now.”

Being angry at Belzamer, however, did not appease his bad mood, much less assuage his worries. The man may not have been the best of advisors, but at the end of the day, it was Pharazôn who had chosen to heed his words. And if the might of Númenor were to crash against a mountain range, it would be his defeat, not anyone else’s.

A month. This meant that soon he would have to make a decision to go back, or they would risk total disaster if they were not able to find provisions in time. Even if they should find a way to penetrate the obstacles and forged ahead, they could not be sure of when they would find anything to eat at the other side, or even if they would. Wherever he looked, there were only mountains and more mountains, with a dark aura of stormclouds perpetually covering their white peaks.

Pacing around the room, Pharazôn did an effort to recall the fragments of tales that Belzamer had told him. They had mentioned two great invasions from the past, and a third one, the greatest of them all, which would one day put an end to the kingdom forever. The pattern reminded him of old legends, like those whose memory the Faithful kept in their libraries full of mouldy scrolls. Pharazôn had never trusted legends much, as he knew that even a kernel of truth was easily distorted into the most unexpected shapes, though he had to admit that it had flattered his vanity to think of himself as the third and greatest of invaders in the lore of this unknown people. As always, he had set to this task with nothing but the unstoppable strength of his conviction, which had been enough for the wars he had fought until then. But this was no longer a mere war: from the moment he had passed beyond the borders of every map drawn by his twenty-four generations of ancestors, and whether he believed in it or not, he had entered the realm of legend, both that of Rhûn and Númenor. And in the world of legend, there was no longer place for wilful and capable generals with well-equipped armies. Gods and heroes battled demons and monsters, and Pharazôn would only find a place for himself if he was found worthy to belong to either of those categories.

A chill crossed the Golden King’s spine, even as he stood so close to the flames that their heat made his face flush red. Which one would he be? If the legends of the Faithful were any indication, the gods and heroes of a certain people were inevitably destined to become the demons and the monsters of the other side. Melkor, the Great God himself, was seen by their friends the Elves as Morgoth, the most powerful demon who had ever been created, and the most harmful and evil. For the people of Rhûn, this greatest of invaders would be another Morgoth, coming to fulfil the prophecies that heralded the violent end of their civilization. He would cloak himself under that guise if this was to his advantage, and he would not feel uncomfortable with it. But what if the Númenóreans, his own people, thought the same of him? So far, he had done some unpopular things, but their hearts were still mostly with him. His soldiers loved him dearly, and he had basked in their admiration. Would he be a demon for all of them, too, a monster they lived in terror of, whose name would scare their children into eating their dinner and going to bed?

It is impossible to please everyone, he remembered Zigûr’s words, on one of their last conversations before his departure. But Men have a remarkable trait that no other kindred possesses, and it is their ability to accept change. You see that my temple is full, that many accept my doctrine every day, and that those who do not are isolated and resort to desperate measures. Why is that? Because they see that it works. Make something work, and Men will accept it, unless they are so taken by the teachings of the Elves that they have become like them, a stagnant, dying race.

He did not know about the rest of Númenor, but Pharazôn’s soldiers had always been ready to accept anything that worked, from the worship of the Lord of Battles in the distant past to their general’s famously unorthodox tactics in more recent times. To stand before an impenetrable mountain range day after day, unable to cross it or surround it while their provisions dwindled fast, under the command of someone who did not know how to extricate them from this situation– now that, for them, would be far more unacceptable.

Reaching a decision, Ar Pharazôn abandoned his tent, and ordered two of the guards who stood at the gate to follow him.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He had threatened Belzamer with starvation just because he had been angry, but the truth was that a sizeable part of their resources had been allocated to mouths who had not played any role in the expedition so far, and whose presence had been greatly contested, though they had not come of their own free will. They were Haradrim, about sixty in total; all prisoners from the last campaign. Pharazôn had given strict orders to keep them alive, so they had been clothed and fed –some of them forcefully, the captain in charge told him- and kept under shelter. Still, they had never been untied, to prevent them from finding a way to kill themselves and their companions, and they looked quite filthy and miserable. The stench alone made one of the men retreat, muttering a curse.

One of the barbarians –a former leader, if his recollections were true- looked up at him as soon as he became aware of his presence. The bravado with which he had cursed the king of Númenor when he was captured, swearing revenge in the name of his many generations of descendants unto the ending of time had been left behind somewhere in his warm country. Instead, there was a strange mixture of emotion in his miserable features, between the most abject fear and the wildest hope. Next to him, another man was mumbling in broken Adûnaic, and as Pharazôn drew closer, his mumbling grew in intensity. He only caught one word: cold.

“You will be warm very soon”, he said, wondering why he did not entertain more doubts about what he was about to do. The truth was that he had sacrificed countless bulls to the Lord of Battles in the past, and now that he looked closely at those men, he did not see much in them that distinguished them from animals.

The news that the preparations for a large sacrifice were underway spread fast across the camp. Tongues wagged as the altar was established and consecrated by the priests, and Zigûr’s sacred fire was brought in to kindle it, using most of their remaining firewood reserves. When the hour of the summons came, almost the whole army was already there.

Pharazôn scrutinised the looks of those who stood closest to him, trying to gauge the general mood. The results were cautiously optimistic. Many soldiers were curious, others exultant, and only a few of them looked apprehensive at what was going to happen. When the first prisoners were dragged in towards the altar, some turned up their nose at the stench or jeered, while most kept a religious silence.

He led the prayers personally, together with the two priests who flanked him and their attendants. It was not quite the same as the traditional chants, but they had learned the new words easily enough in Harad, and were quite content to repeat them now, joining their voices to those of their comrades. Men had the ability to accept change.

The prisoner who had met his glance earlier was struggling with his bonds and with the men who held them, but his strength after the last months could not compare with the puniest of bulls Pharazôn had handled in the past. Still, he had something the bulls did not: a voice, and as his spirit returned to him in his desperation, he began cursing at him in both his barbarian dialect and in Adûnaic.

“Be quiet, or I will cut your tongue first and then kill you” the King hissed as the victim was thrown on his back against the altar. The moment of fear and doubt as the meaning of his threat sunk in was all he needed: speaking the words that Zigûr had taught him, he slit the throat with precision, and stood aside while one of the priests stepped in and extended the golden basin to receive the trickling red fluid. The victim shook in agony for a while further, then went limp as the blood left his body. The flames of the altar barely rose as the basin was emptied, but they roared to the high heavens when they received the corpse.

“Bring in the next”, he ordered. The chants had faltered slightly, but he had no time to waste in such details and considerations. The second struggling victim was brought in, and then the third, the fourth, the fifth, until he lost count of how many had died by his hand. Some were listless, and did not oppose any resistance, for the will to live had deserted them long ago. Others, however, struggled in panic, or even became defiant like the first man. Most of those did not speak Adûnaic, so their cries differed little from the bellowing of the bulls, but the few who did interfered with the ceremony, and had to be silenced in more forceful ways.

The stench of burned meat was suffocating, though fortunately the mountain winds did not let it linger for long, blowing it away from their vicinity. Now and then, more wood had to be brought in, as the fire was about to be buried under the piled bodies. At some point, they had to pause the ceremony, for it did not seem as if even the sacred flames would be able to take any more, and the head priest expressed the opinion that Melkor’s hunger had already been sated.

Pharazôn shook his head. In the midst of this carnage, he felt as if a higher spirit had entered his body, transforming him into one of those larger-than-life beings of popular stories. All of a sudden, he had no doubts, no second thoughts, nothing but the inflexible determination of he who knew he was elevating his mortal existence to the rank of myth.

“Throw more wood into the fire”, he ordered, fingering the neck of a young man, little more than a boy in Númenórean years, in search of the artery. He was struggling so much that it was difficult to find the right spot, but instead of having him pinned down, Pharazôn sought his eye.

“Stay still, and it will end quickly” he told him. “Keep moving, and you will die a horrible death.”

The voice of the priest claiming that it was useless to waste his breath died in his mouth when the victim did exactly as Pharazôn said, growing as still as if he had been struck dumb. As he sunk the knife, he heard the priests and the assistants exchange awed whispers behind his back. When this corpse was thrown with the others, the flames suddenly rose higher than before, consuming the piled remains which had threatened to extinguish the fire. So huge was the blaze that the chants briefly stopped, then resumed with a greater intensity.

Pharazôn exulted, confirmed in his instinctive knowledge that the sacrifices could not stop until the last of the doomed souls had been vowed to the Lord of Battles. Until then, the flames would devour every carcass, every limb, every drop of blood until there was nothing left but ashes.

Life is the most powerful of all sacrifices.

Far in the distance, he heard a cry, then other shouts joining the first, but he paid no heed to the growing commotion until he was done. Turning away from the last victim’s dead body, he called for a basin of water to wash his hands, covered in gore up to the elbows. Then, he walked towards the other side of the platform, to a spot where the air was less darkened by the fumes, and gazed ahead.

“Miracle!” a man was shouting. Almost everyone was looking away from the altar, towards the mountains that loomed over their heads. Many were pointing at the sky, and as Pharazôn followed the direction of their fingers, he realized what had attracted their attention. The dark mass of clouds which had crowned the peaks like the diadem of a barbarian king had evaporated, leaving a bright sun to shine over a pure white landscape.

Beside him, the floor rumbled as the priests and the attendants fell to their knees in unison.

“Ar Pharazôn the Golden, Face of Melkor, deliver us from darkness and lead us to victory!” the head priest prayed. The others followed his lead, and though the soldiers were too far away to hear their prayers soon they, too, spontaneously broke in a renewed rendition of their own chants, their echo resounding long and deep in the hollow valley.

Pharazôn walked until he stood at the edge of the platform. Suddenly, a gust of wind blew the smoke away, and his golden ceremonial armour reflected the light of the sun. Wherever he set his eye, every single glance was turned towards him, shining with religious awe and adoration. As he made a sign to speak, everybody fell silent.

“Men of Númenor, here I stand before you, after mastering the secret of true sacrifice! From this day on, there is no force on this Earth which may hinder us, whether mortal or immortal, not even the gods themselves! The whole world will bow before our might, and tremble at the mere whisper of our name. No one, from the furthermost East to the forbidden West, will be able to withstand the might of Númenorean arms!”

The answering roar was deafening. If any of those men saw him as a demon, he thought, his heart full to bursting with a fierce, triumphant joy, they were lost among the thousands who hailed him as a god. They would follow him across the mountains and into the land that lay beyond, and even farther on, across other mountains and kingdoms greater than this one. And then, like Melkor himself, he would be King of the World, and every man, woman and child three thousand years from now would know his name.

His choice was made, he thought, watching attentively how the blood slowly trickled away from his fingers and into the water of the basin. He had chosen the legend over the man, to be worshipped as a god and abhorred as a demon, instead of standing between the two as a mere, ordinary mortal. And whatever it may cost him, Pharazôn knew that he would live with that choice until he achieved immortality, or became trapped in everlasting darkness.

 

Two-way Destiny

Read Two-way Destiny

Fíriel was tired. Her feet hurt, and there was a stitch on her side whenever she breathed in. Uncle had said that this hill was the last before they would see the coast, but he had been wrong before, so she was not ready to trust him so easily again. If it was not, they would have to find room for her on the cart, even if Zama whined and claimed that she could not walk. She had been sitting there for ages, which was not fair, and she was only a year younger than Fíriel, so she was not a baby anymore and should not be entitled to act as one.

As if she had somehow read her thoughts, her cousin’s piteous voice rose at that moment, claiming that the cart had to stop because she needed to pee. Aunt told her to shut up and stop complaining, and Zebedin teased her in a nasty manner until Aunt told him to shut up, too. Then, she flew into a rant about insufferable brats who had vowed to make her life impossible, reminded them that this was not a pleasure trip –Fíriel had never been on one of those, but she wholeheartedly agreed-, and threatened to leave them by the wayside, to be captured and sold to wrinkled and mean old people who had no children of their own.

“If they are rich, why not?” Zebedin whispered next to Fíriel, though in an undertone that his mother could not hear. “If we were rich, we would not have to be crossing the Island with nothing but an old cart, looking for food and a place to stay.”

Fíriel did not understand everything that the adults spoke around her, but this did not make sense. Their family had always had food and a place to stay, back home, and if it was not for the evil priests of the Cave, they would still have them. What would have been the use of riches in their situation? The priests would have just taken them away as they took their food and burned their fields. Though perhaps if they had managed to hide a little of it, they could have taken another cart, and then she would not have to be walking on foot.

Thinking of her current situation, however, only made the ache on her feet worse. She felt as if her toes were about to explode from the pressure exerted by the points of her shoes. For a moment, she felt like bursting into tears, not because it would solve anything, but because she needed an outlet for the emotions that threatened to choke her. But after her aunt’s outburst, she knew that it was not a good time for this. She would do better to save it for the moment they reached the top of the hill, and Aunt’s frustration was redirected against Uncle for being wrong again. Then, she could cry and remind them that it was past her turn to be in the cart. Perhaps Grandmother would take her side: after all, she had always been her favourite.

But Uncle had not been wrong. When they reached the top of the hill, Zama let go of a great cry, jumping to her feet so fast that Grandmother almost did not catch her in time. Her scolding, however, became lost among all their raised voices, as they pointed excitedly at the great blue expanse of the Sea, and the huge city stretching side by side with it.

“Look! It’s the Arms of the Giant!” Zebedin cried. Fíriel followed his glance, and saw a large structure that looked like the harbour of Andúnië but much, much larger, and filled with ten times as many ships. To her shock, at each of its sides stood the figure of a man, the two hugest men Fíriel had ever seen, who seemed to be standing on the water itself. If any of those men was to start walking, they would trample at least five buildings with each step, and grab the largest galleys with their hands as if they were nothing but toys. The giants, she thought, certain that she had discovered the origin of that mysterious name.

Zama started crying softly, frightened by the sight. Grandmother stopped scolding then, and told her that they were only statues made of stone, that they were not alive and could not move. This was the great city and harbour of Sor, gateway of the Island, where soldiers and merchants boarded ships bound to the faraway colonies beyond the Great Sea, to return loaded with riches and bearing victorious arms. Grandfather had been born in that distant land, and he had first arrived to Númenor in one of the ships that set anchor between the legs of those giants, a long time ago. He had been a boy back then, but he had not been afraid of them, just relieved because he would not have to feel water under his feet anymore. He had hated water, like all the Haradrim, which was a trait Zama claimed to have inherited despite the fact that she had only heard of Harad in her stories. Though Fíriel suspected that she merely found it cold and uncomfortable, and used her ancestry as an excuse not to be forced to go all the way in, Grandmother was always ready to believe this sort of stuff.

“Well.” Aunt already seemed in a better mood than she had been for the rest of the day. “Perhaps we could spend the night here, and set for Rómenna tomorrow. The sun will set soon.”

“No”, Fíriel found herself answering before she could check her impulse. Her forehead curved into a frown, as she scrutinized the horizon to investigate her aunt’s surprising pronouncement. “The sun is not setting yet. It’s not even there.”

To her puzzlement, and no little annoyance, the adults started laughing.

“What?” she said defensively. “It’s not!”

“The sun does not set on the Sea in the East”, Uncle explained. “It rises from it.”

“Ha! Only an idiot doesn’t know that!” Zebedin snorted, and Fíriel bristled in anger.

“Well, you didn’t know either before they said it just now!”

“Of course I knew. I am not an idiot!”

“Peace, both of you!” Uncle shouted. “We will set camp here for the night.”

As Grandmother began building a fire, and Aunt rummaged through their rapidly dwindling set of provisions, Uncle opened the box where the statues were kept. Just like every other night since the start of their journey, he took them out with utmost care, and reverently set them on a makeshift altar made of piled white stones. The King and Queen of Heavens were both there, as well as the Queen of Earth, who brought food and crops, and the Hunter, who protected wanderers. To share their dinner with all of them was proving harder and harder as there was a smaller amount of it on their plate every day, and sometimes Fíriel could not help but wonder resentfully what use could such high beings have for a food that would end up buried under the earth anyway. But of course she knew much better than to say those things aloud. As her aunt said crossly whenever anyone said or did something disrespectful, they really were not in a position to put the goodwill of the Baalim to the test. And if the King was in our place he might not be feeling so brave either, Uncle had retorted once, earning one of her most frightening glares. That day, even Grandmother had looked uneasy, and Fíriel remembered wondering if the King was like the Baalim, able to listen to anything they said though he was not there.

The strange, invisible sunset must have happened already, for the light of day was beginning to dwindle, and stars appeared timidly on the sky above their heads. To Fíriel’s surprise, they were fewer than they used to be before they reached this shore of the Sea. Unable to keep her curiosity in check, she swallowed the last of her oatmeal and asked Grandmother if the East was a land of darkness, as she remembered hearing in a tale.

“That is in Middle-Earth, not here”, the woman replied, with a smile. She never mocked her, not even when she asked stupid questions. “There are less stars because the lights of Sor blind us and we cannot see them.”

“So, is Sor brighter than the stars?” Fíriel asked, confused. Gently, her grandmother disengaged the empty bowl from her hands and laid it down on the dry earth, laying an arm over her shoulder to pull her close.

“No, my dear. It looks brighter, only because it lies closer to us. In this world, we can be blinded by many things that seem dazzling and powerful, but that is merely because we stand too close to them. If you stand too close to this fire, it will seem brighter to you than the Sun, even though it’s not.”

“Well, the Sun will just keep to its path through the sky, and leave you be. The fire won’t. And if you stand too close to it, it will burn you.”

Fíriel had been starting to fall asleep from the sound of the older woman’s voice, saying words that were too complicated and grown up for her to understand. But her aunt’s bitter tone jolted her back into awareness, and for a moment she felt her grandmother’s grip tighten around her and her body tense, as if she was upset.

“We are all tired and in a bad mood now, my love” Uncle intervened, in a conciliatory manner. “Tomorrow, I am sure that everything will start looking better, when we reach Rómenna and meet your brothers. We can have a good life there, away from the fire.”

Aunt did not speak again, and gradually Grandmother’s grip loosened as well. Fíriel closed her eyes, pretending to be asleep so she would not be forced to get up and lie next to Zama and Zebedin. He always kicked her when he was dreaming.

The last thing she remembered hearing that night was a soft voice against her ear, humming a song in Grandfather’s mysterious barbarian language.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The next day, Fíriel discovered that their destination was not as close as she had assumed it to be. Sor was huge, and they had to circumvent it before they could find the seaside road that would take them to Rómenna. They met a lot of people on the way: vendors who took their merchandise to the city markets (she had to be scolded twice for staring in wide-eyed longing at the fresh food they carried), rich merchants with large escorts, who had slept in their country villas and now headed to the harbour to conduct their business, and, to their great unease, many soldiers from the neighbouring army quarters. There was an especially large group of them who were singing some marching song to the top of their lungs. Fíriel did not understand the words well, but she was so scared at the sound that she ran towards her uncle and grabbed his hand. He did not laugh at her, and she noticed that he was walking faster too.

“Do not look at them, Fíriel”, Aunt hissed at her. It was what she always said back home whenever the priests from the Cave came to visit, and also when they stopped at that inn to sell their old horse for meat and try to get a new one that would hopefully last the rest of the way. She still said it at every opportunity, even though to Fíriel it was already second nature to look down when there were unfriendly people about. Neither Zama nor Zebedin had ever been admonished like this, but then again, they did not have those grey eyes that made people stare.

The road to Rómenna seemed to have been recently repaired, as its pavement was shiny and smoothly even. Fíriel felt lucky that it was her turn to sit on the cart now, with Grandmother, rolling past busy fields and beaches that seemed much larger and flatter than those in the West, where they appeared to have been cleaved on the living rock.

The afternoon light was beginning to take on the colours of evening when they finally saw a secluded bay appear before their eyes, and inside it a city of white stone, with a much smaller harbour where fishermen’s boats stood in place of war galleys and merchant ships. Optimism turned into trepidation as they crossed the bustling countryside: Zama began to fuss, while the adults seemed tense again, as if they were afraid that they had made a mistake and ended up in the wrong place. But this was indeed Rómenna, and when Uncle asked for directions he was pointed towards a house that stood far away, perched atop a cliff. Fíriel heard some whispers behind her, and saw a group of people staring at them with a mean look in their eyes, though she had never seen any of them before. Before her aunt could scold her, she lowered her gaze.

The mean looks did not disappear as they walked on towards their destination. Wherever they went, there would be more of the townsfolk, and many also stared at them as if they were bad people coming to rob their houses or steal their children. A few others, however, were smiling at them, and to Fíriel’s surprise one walked towards her uncle and pulled him into a tight embrace, after which they began talking as if they knew each other well. In their conversation, she heard them mention Eldest Uncle –her aunt’s oldest brother-, who had been waiting for them and would be overjoyed by their arrival. The man said he would warn him so he could welcome them later, and Uncle thanked him. Before he left, he bowed very politely at Grandmother, who smiled back at him.

It was getting a little late when their party left the paved streets and tall houses behind, and the road became wide and comfortable again, without narrow passages where the cart had to be manoeuvred to fit or unfriendly people standing at every turn. Instead, the cottages that peppered the outskirts seemed to be all inhabited by nice folk, like the man who had embraced her uncle. As they passed by, many waved at them, and one or two greeted them by their names, though Fíriel did not recognize their faces. You were too small when they left the Andustar, Grandmother explained. That made sense, she thought; sometimes, it seemed to her that she had spent her life back home hearing the adults speak about people who were no longer there.

Then, the road turned narrower and steeper, as they began climbing the hill whose cliffs they had seen from the city. Zama promptly started whining, and Fíriel had to surrender her place in the cart to her. Her energies were intact from her long rest, though her feet and legs still hurt from the previous days, and she could not repress a wince when she tottered her first steps. But she was so determined to show that at least she was not a spoiled crybaby that she refused to complain.

Dusk was starting to fall when they reached the house on the top. It was a place such as Fíriel had never seen before, huge and beautiful like she imagined the palaces of the Elves in Grandmother’s stories. As she stood there, staring in amazement at the majestic gardens, Uncle helped Grandmother and Zama descend from the cart, while Aunt grabbed Zebedin’s hand quite forcefully, to prevent him from wandering. She seemed about to start scolding him, but right then a man approached through the footpath, and her expression changed immediately. She greeted him with great politeness, and bowed so low that Fíriel hurried to bow too, guessing that he had to be someone important. His dress was certainly nice, she thought, before she remembered that she should be looking down.

Soon, Uncle himself was hurrying to meet the man, and both engaged in a brief and frustratingly low conversation. Then, he signalled at them to follow, and when Uncle gave a significant look in the direction of their cart, he shook his head and smiled, assuring him that nothing would happen to their belongings while they were otherwise occupied. On their way to the palace, they were crossed by two other men, one of whom received instructions to take care of their horse. Fíriel wondered if someone would take care of her at some point, too.

This brief moment of self-pity was over as soon as they reached a large, stately porch, entirely covered in glazed tiles of many bright colours. Even Zebedin, who was usually so cheeky, seemed to have run out of words at the sight. The man told them to wait for a moment while he announced them to the people who were sitting there, but before Fíriel had the time to wonder who they could be, they had already risen from their seat and started walking towards them.

Fíriel’s entire family bowed, so she had no choice but to do the same.

“There is no need to do this! We are all fellow exiles here”, a woman said, in a melodious voice. Tentatively, she looked up, and lo! there stood the most beautiful lady she had ever seen, wearing the most beautiful clothes and with the most beautiful, silky mane of hair. Though she knew it was not polite, she could not help but stare at her in awe. The lady gave her a dazzling smile in return, and with a thrill, Fíriel noticed that her eyes were grey, just like hers.

“Do you remember the Lady Lalwendë, Fíriel?” her uncle asked. Alarmed, she racked her brains for a memory of the beautiful lady, but no matter how hard she tried, she could not remember her. Her cheeks grew red.

“N-no” she stammered. She expected the adults to be very displeased, but instead of that, Grandmother laid a comforting hand on her shoulder.

“She was too young to remember. As you see, my lady, my son-in-law remains woefully ignorant of the abilities of children, despite having two of his own and raising a third.”

Fíriel was that third one he had raised, but she was not one of his own, which was why they had always insisted on her calling him Uncle, and his wife Aunt, instead of Father and Mother like Zebedin and Zama. To do otherwise would be a terrible insult to the memory of her father, who had been Grandmother’s youngest son and Aunt’s brother, and a great hero for all the family. Of her mother they never spoke, but sometimes Fíriel liked to fantasize that she had been an exotic barbarian that her father had met in the mainland.

The beautiful lady had not stopped smiling, though somehow, Fíriel was able to notice a sadness in her gaze.

“That was indeed long ago, and much time has passed since then. I am glad to see that your granddaughter has grown into such a charming girl. And above all, I am glad that you decided to follow my advice and join us! We are exiles here, but we have made a life for ourselves, and our bonds of mutual help and trust remain intact even this far away from home. But enough talking! Come to the porch and sit with us, you must be exhausted and hungry from your long journey.”

I am hungry”, Zama declared, throwing all rules of courtesy to the winds to seize her opportunity. The lady did not seem angry this time either.

“Excellent! I will have food and drink served to you, then. Come here and meet Lord Númendil, my husband’s grandfather. Both his son and his grandson are currently visiting the Governor of Sor, so he and I will have to do as hosts.”

Lord Númendil was also grey-eyed, and he did not look any older than Grandmother, though from Lady Lalwendë’s introduction she had expected a very old and decrepit man. He, too, smiled at her, and her heart constricted a little. These people seemed to be so rich and powerful, yet they were also very sad, and the more they looked at her, the sadder they were making her, too.

Why were they looking so much at her, anyway? She was not used to be the focus of attention, and she found it quite unsettling. Perhaps she should have followed her aunt’s advice, and kept her gaze fixed on the floor from the start. Except that this lady had already met her in the past, and they had all been aware of this except her, because she had been too young to remember.

When they sat down, all those thoughts dissipated before the ravenous hunger that awoke inside her at the sight and smell of food. For a while, she and her cousins did nothing but wolf down everything that was set before them, watched in indulgent amusement by the denizens of that lofty place. Only when she felt about to burst from so much delicious bread, and fish, and fruit of many kinds, she sighed contentedly and leaned back on her seat. Zama had already fallen asleep, her tiredness having the upper hand over her hunger, while, closer to her, Zebedin was still trying to fight it for a little longer.

Fíriel, however, could not sleep. Even as she sat there, listening to an adult conversation whose intricacies escaped her, about the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay, his “outrageous policies” in the lower Andustar, and something about the Lord of Andúnië’s petitions to the Sceptre, she could not help but feel that the beautiful lady’s attention was still focused on her. Sometimes, she fell silent for a long while, and then Lord Númendil would rise to pick up her slack and keep the conversation going. It was at those moments that Fíriel would cautiously gaze back into the eyes that sought hers, only to feel them brimming with that unsettling sadness again.

“Why was that lady so sad, Grandmother?” she whispered, once the stars had covered the night sky and they took their leave to be escorted to Eldest Uncle’s house.

Fíriel’s grandmother seemed shocked by this question. Her forehead curved into a frown, and, for a moment, Fíriel thought that she had upset her too. But it did not last long, and her hand wandered towards the girl’s hair to caress it briefly.

“She lost someone. Losing loved ones is a very sad thing, Fíriel. I hope you never have to go through it.”

Well, I lost Father and Mother, she wanted to argue, but immediately thought better of it. Just like Lady Lalwendë’s visit, this had happened when she was too young to remember, so it did not count. She certainly did not feel as sad as that lady had looked, nor did her eyes brim with unshed tears like Grandmother’s when someone mentioned Fíriel’s father in her presence. Or Grandfather, she added mentally, intimidated by the realization of how many losses the woman before her had experienced. Out of a sudden impulse, she leaned forwards to hug her.

Meanwhile, back in the porch they had just vacated, the lone silhouette of a woman stood watching them under the dim light of an oil lamp.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“My lord prince. My lord prince, please.”

Gimilzagar uncurled slightly, just enough to take a peek over the embroidered rim of the sheet he had used to cover his head. The women were there still, and it began to dawn on him that perhaps they would not give up this time. Disappointed and frustrated, he tore it down and scowled at them.

“Oh, praised be the Deliverer!” the Royal Nurse exclaimed, gesturing at the others, who promptly advanced towards him. Their soft hands touched him, and manipulated his face in every direction to inspect it, making little winces and crooning sounds of sympathy that were supposed to make him feel better, but did not.

“Nothing that some well-applied powder cannot hide”, the older woman concluded encouragingly. The others nodded, and two of them proceeded to help him to his feet.

“I do not want to go. I am sick!”, he tried for the last time. But he was not used to have his illnesses ignored in such a callous way, so his voice came out wrong, too weak, as if he was already aware that it would not be heeded.

It was not fair. Last night, the knowledge of what he would have to do when morning came had made him so terribly nervous that he could not sleep. When they tried to calm him down, it grew worse: his hands began to shake, and he knew that he was having a fit a moment before his mind blanked. The times that he could remember this happening before, no one would have dreamed of pulling him out of bed the next day, much less of forcing him to do anything that he did not wish to do. Today, however, the heir to the Sceptre of Númenor had discovered that there were limits even to the pity that he inspired. He was so shocked at his last resort having failed, that he did not know how to react, or what to do next.

As if he was a doll, he was manoeuvred into several different sets of clothing, sometimes briefly adorned with a piece of jewellery or two before the Royal Nurse frowned and it was taken away again. Different opinions were exchanged, and the debate even grew a little heated at some point, with one of the women claiming that his mother’s colours were the only ones that fitted him, and that trying to make him look like his father in any way was just impossible. Another woman argued that he could wear gold just fine, there just needed to be some more colour in his face, but the powder could do that too. In the end, the Royal Nurse decided to have him wear silver, though she liked the suggestion of the extra colour, which she pronounced “appropriately subtle”, and she also came up with the idea of curling his hair. Gimilzagar sat still while they talked, but he grew agitated when they approached him with hot tongs. This time, the Royal Nurse did not ignore him, perhaps because she had realized how close to a second fit he was. Kneeling before him, she took his hands in hers, and promised him in a firm voice that it would not hurt, and that he would not even feel a thing.

“I want Mother”, he whined. She nodded, promising that he would see her as soon as he was dressed. The sooner you behave, the sooner you will see her, was the true deal implied by her words. Gimilzagar surrendered.

The curling was a long and boring process but it did not hurt, just as she had said. Still, as the Prince of the West gazed into the mirror laid in front of him, he could not help but feel that he looked a little ridiculous. His hair was so straight that it had been impossible for the curling to stick anywhere near the crown of his head, only from his ears down. The Royal Nurse surveyed him critically, and then ordered one of the women to produce a silver diadem that covered most of the upper part of his head.

Mother came to pick him up near midday, as radiant and beautiful as ever in her jewelled, sea-blue robes. She ignored all the women who knelt as she passed by them, and stopped only before Gimilzagar. Her eyes trailed over his countenance, his dress, his ridiculous curls, and suddenly he was not so ashamed of them anymore. For in her gaze alone there was no judgement, no standards he could fall short of. With or without curls, powder, or appropriate colours, she made him feel as if he was just right, exactly the way she had wanted him to look.

Wonderful as this feeling was, however, he could not allow himself to surrender to it before he had made one final attempt.

“Mother, please, I do not want to go. I am sick, could I stay here?” he begged pitifully.

One of her soft hands cupped his face, while the other caressed his forehead in soft motions. Her dark eyes, so similar to Gimilzagar’s own, sought his, and his spirit sank.

“I am sorry, my love, but that is not possible today. You are the Prince of the West, and sometimes there are things that you will need to do because they are your duty.” When I was your age, I did not want to do my duty, either, and my father was only too content to let me do as I pleased. But that was not love: he was ashamed of me, so he did not wish the people to see me next to him, to know that I would be his successor one day. I will never be ashamed of you, my dear son. “I promise that I will be with you all the time.”

Gimilzagar looked down, taking her proffered hand with his. They were both the exact same shade of pale white, as the Royal Nurse had not thought of putting any powder there.

“How could anyone be ashamed of you, Mother?” he wondered aloud. The women stared at him, but he ignored them. “You are the most beautiful and powerful woman in the world!” He, on the other hand…

Mother caressed his hair again, her mouth curved into the sweetest smile.

“You are the greatest miracle to happen in Númenor, Gimilzagar. When you walk among them, the people see the Great God in you.”

Her gaze retreated, and she walked past the women again and towards the door, this time with Gimilzagar in tow. As he followed her across long Palace corridors and galleries filled with kneeling courtiers, his trepidation came back with a vengeance.

Did they see the Great God in him? How could that be possible? he wondered, feeling so inadequate while he forced his aching legs to walk side by side with her majestic steps. They could not even make him look like Father, no matter how hard they tried, and everybody knew that the Great God looked like him. All those huge, scary statues of the Deliverer had his face. For a moment, Gimilzagar tried to imagine his own features there, but this thought only made him feel worse.

You are too young now. One day, you will understand everything better, her soothing voice spread across his mind like a golden warmth, and for a while he thought no more.

 

*      *      *      *      *

 

The Temple was so full of people that it seemed about to burst. Gimilzagar hated people; they always gazed at him in an intrusive way that made him feel very uncomfortable. As they walked across a narrow path cleaved by the Palace Guards, past the priests, noblemen and courtiers who stood near the flaming altar, he tightened his grip on Mother’s hand.

The people who pressed around them were only a minor inconvenience, however, compared with the suffocating vicinity of the Sacred Fire. Closest to it, as if he could not even feel the heat of the flames that made large beads of sweat trickle down Gimilzagar’s face, ruining the work of the women who had powdered it, Lord Zigûr stood perfectly still. When they reached their appointed places, he turned towards them to bow at Mother and smile obsequiously at him. Gimilzagar acknowledged him with a solemn nod.

Long ago, when he was nothing but a war captive brought from the distant mainland, Lord Zigûr had wrought the miracle that saved Gimilzagar’s life as a newborn baby. As a reward for it, he had been freed, and elevated to the highest priesthood of the Great God. If, as Mother said, people saw Gimilzagar as the greatest miracle to happen in Númenor, he could not help but think that all the credit for it had gone to Lord Zigûr, rather than to him. Everybody was in great awe of the priest, believing him to have the power to save their children as well, or doom them if he refused his help. He was wise, fair and kind, though for some reason Gimilzagar felt a little repelled by his blue eyes. At some moments, he was almost certain that they had featured in one of his long and complicated nightmares, those that he never could remember after he awoke.

In any case, he never held his glance for too long, afraid that Lord Zigûr would see through him and guess his thoughts. Sometimes, in his darkest musings, he imagined that the man decided to take his life back, and he dropped dead to the floor like a puppet whose strings had been cut. Of course, he immediately told himself that this was impossible: the High Priest would never get away with harming him. But the morbid thought was too persistent, and it would always return.

Shortly after they were all sorted in their respective positions, the main gates of the Temple opened with a booming noise. The loud murmurations of the crowd became a low hum, then died, as the first soldiers marched in with their long cloaks and wreaths upon their heads. The King of Númenor came behind them, wearing the royal purple, and his golden armour underneath. He climbed the marble stairs at a brisk pace, until he stood next to Lord Zigûr, who bowed with everyone else.

Gimilzagar took a sharp, conspicuous breath. It had been so long since he had last seen Father that he barely remembered him: whenever he tried to bring his features back to his mind, the statues of Melkor were almost all he could think of. Before his son’s first begetting day, the King had sailed off to Harad, and had not returned until the young Prince was about three, but when he was four he had left again, this time to fight the Easterlings. According to the adults who surrounded Gimilzagar, he had led three different campaigns against them, though in the boy’s mind they had blended into one, his brief visits too short to be truly memorable. Most of what he could recall from them was the crowded streets, which had made a strong impression on him when he had been younger, and as he grew a little older, the terrifying glimpses of fire and blood.

With a sinking feeling, Gimilzagar watched as the bulls were brought in, struggling and bellowing on their way to the altar. People said that animals were stupid, and did not know that death awaited them at the end of their journey, but this was a lie. They knew, and their fear was so intense that it reached Gimilzagar, like blood would splatter the robes of those who stood closest when the blade sunk into their flesh. He tried to press closer to Mother, away from their reach; guessing his feelings, she stepped backwards and pulled him with her.

Animals, however, were just simple creatures. Their fear was a feeling, for they did not have thoughts. Men had thoughts, even barbarians like those who were led in after the bulls. Usually, the only thoughts that Gimilzagar could hear were Mother’s, which were warm and comforting, but these were strong and so violent that sometimes they splattered him too, no matter how hard he tried to escape them. And when they did, he saw garbled, shifting fragments of nightmarish things, like the fleeting awareness of his dreams that he lost one second after he awoke in his bed.

One of them, the third to be dragged upstairs, was a man of striking appearance, taller than the others and with the darkest skin that Gimilzagar had ever seen. As he approached the altar, his eyes met those of the Prince for a moment, and they were like burning coals. Behind them, Gimilzagar saw a mountain made entirely of dead people, their expressions horribly vacant as flies worried on their eyes. He saw blood staining the white stone floors of something that looked like a temple, and a tall, roaring fire, much taller than the one on the altar, engulfing large houses and palaces while people screamed. Unable to help himself, he let go of a whimper and hid behind Mother, shaking with the first convulsions of what he recognized as a fit.

Two hands held him tight, keeping him anchored to consciousness while his father pressed his palm against the dark, pulsating forehead, and sunk the blade on the exposed neck so the blood could flow into the sacrificial basin. But that seemed very far away, devoid of the scary immediacy that the collision of his thoughts with that of the barbarian had created in his mind. Soon, he could feel other, gentler thoughts rushing in to take their place, and he heard a loving voice muttering comforting words in his ear. Slowly, the convulsions started to ease, until they died out and he was standing there, shivering and horribly self-conscious.

Ar Pharazôn the Golden paused the motions of the ceremony, and laid the blade upon the altar, next to the dead man. People around blinked and stared, as he walked away from the sacrifice to approach Gimilzagar and kneel next to him. A large hand, drenched in blood, was extended towards his cheek; instinctively, the boy flinched away from it. The sound of dull muttering spread across their vicinity, and among them, Gimilzagar could distinguish some surprised whispers. He could feel that all eyes were on him now, their weight oppressive and paralyzing.

Suddenly, the King laughed. He leaned forward to give Gimilzagar a kiss on the forehead, smelling of smoke and incense, and just a hint of burned flesh. As he did it, the boy could feel the pressure of those looks ease and relax into a general outburst of amusement.

“My son is still upset at the sight of blood. Perhaps he is too young to stand here for an entire ceremony. Why don’t you take him out, so he can play in the sunlight for a while?”

His voice was powerful, and reverberated loudly in the closed space. Gimilzagar cringed, wishing nothing more than to shrink and become invisible. A hot, bubbling shame filled his chest: he had made a scene, and though Mother had wanted to show everyone that she was proud of him, she had shamed her instead. And Father. Though he was trying to dismiss it as something unimportant before the people of Númenor, he was embarrassed for having such a weak son, a twitching, pale, whimpering brat who did not stand tall and proud in the grace of Melkor like his father.

Gimilzagar had never wanted to be here. Even before the incident with the dark barbarian, he had already driven himself into a fit just from the anticipation. Now, the Royal Nurse approached him discreetly, and he almost cried from the relief he felt at the idea of taking her hand and following her away from the looks, the fire, the sight of cut throats and the smell of burning corpses. But if he left, Father would hate him. Perhaps he would even wonder if it had been worth it, to have Lord Zigûr bring him back to life for this.

“This is too much blood for my taste as well.” Mother spoke. Her voice held a note of vehemence that made his eyes widen in shock. “I think I will leave the victor of Mordor, Harad and Rhûn to give the Great Deliverer his due, and wait for him in the Palace.” A graceful, white hand stretched before his face, and, unthinkingly, he grabbed it like a lifeline. “Come with me, Gimilzagar.”

As he followed her past a sea of bowed heads, with her retinue bringing the rear, he felt the heat of the fire recede, as well as the smoke, the stench, and the darkness of his own thoughts. When they finally emerged through a passage that led into a garden under the open skies, he experienced such relief that he struggled to repress a sob. Mother stopped in her tracks, and he flinched from her gaze, sure that she was going to scold him.

“I am sorry”, he whined, before she could speak. “You had to leave because of me. I made a scene, and Father was angry, and everybody was staring, and I did not mean it, but that man looked at me and... a-and I saw what he was thinking and it was so horrible I could not…”

But instead of scolding him, Mother embraced him. It was a long embrace, warm and comforting, and Gimilzagar could no longer keep his tears at bay.

“Listen to me, Gimilzagar”, she whispered in his ear. “The reason why that wretched man’s thoughts could touch yours is that you inherited abilities that most men cannot imagine, let alone possess. They can make you powerful, not with the kind of power that your father has, but powerful nonetheless. And you inherited them from me.”

He mulled over this, feeling the salty taste of tears on his lips.

“It did not make me feel powerful”, he argued. “I felt weak. And people laughed at me. And F-father said I was too young to be there.”

She smiled, an achingly beautiful smile as she planted kisses all over his face.

“And perhaps you are, my son. Too young, too sickly to control the power of your mind. But you will grow older, and stronger. Those sacrifices that upset you so much will ensure that you do.”

He tensed underneath her caresses, and noticing his reaction, she sobered.

“Yes, Gimilzagar. You doubt your father’s love for you, and yet he never climbs the steps of the Great God’s altar without having your name on his lips. You know that Lord Zigûr helped bring you to life, but you cannot imagine how small and terribly weak you were back then. It was widely believed that you would not last your first year, though nobody dared say it aloud. You were sick all the time!”

“I am still sick”, he tried to protest, but she shook her head.

“You are stronger now. You are growing. And you still have much more to grow, in body as well as in mind.”

Was this why that man had sought his eyes with such hateful intensity? Had he known that this small boy who fidgeted and whimpered was the reason why he had been brought across the Great Sea to have his throat slit and his corpse burned in the Deliverer’s altar?

“He would have died in any case. He was a great king of his people, and there are many ways in which he could have lost his life after he was defeated, many powers that could have been unleashed and wishes fulfilled by his death. Your father could have used his life force to extend his own, to add strength to his arms in battle, to bring bountiful crops to Umbar, or even to Númenor itself. But instead, he prayed for you. As I said to you before, my son, you are the greatest miracle in Númenor, and nothing else is as important as you are. Do you hear me? Nothing.” She stepped backwards, surveying her with a look that burned with fierce pride. “Never forget it.”

Pride was an alien emotion for Gimilzagar, but now he experienced something else: the pressing need to live up to her expectations. He wiped his face conscientiously, until there was no trace of his shameful outburst left, then gazed back at her, swallowing the last knot from his throat.

“I will not forget it, Mother”, he promised, and he was relieved to notice that his voice was steady. She laughed merrily.

“Excellent. Now, let us go to the Palace.”

As Gimilzagar followed her through the footpaths, for the first time in his life, he was not holding her hand.

Rómenna

Read Rómenna

 

The day she had arrived to Rómenna with her family, after those terrible weeks of wandering across the Númenórean countryside, Fíriel vaguely remembered finding the house on the cliff a little intimidating, like the palace of an Elven king in a bedtime story. Since then, however, she had been brought there quite often, and the feeling of strangeness had largely subsided. The Lady Lalwendë sent many invitations to Grandmother to have tea with her, and for some reason she always took Fíriel for company, instead of any of her other cousins (they pretended not to mind, each in their own way, but she knew that they were jealous). Sometimes, while they were there, other members of the family -the House of Andúnië as everybody called them, even though they no longer lived in Andúnië- would show up too. She already knew Lord Númendil from the first night, that ancient man who did not look old, because he was descended from the Elves in the tales. His son ruled the house, but he did not look at all like him: he had a powerful voice and seemed to be always in a hurry. Fíriel found him intimidating, too, because he reminded her of the soldiers they had avoided on their journey East. So did his eldest grandson (Númendil’s great-grandson, but Fíriel had a headache whenever she tried to assimilate this), who had fought in the mainland before she was born. Grandmother had mentioned that he knew Father once, and that both used to fight side by side in Harad and the kingdom of Arne, but any curiosity Fíriel might have experienced in that regard would never be enough to persuade her to approach him. His younger brother seemed more approachable, and he had been polite to her the only time he joined his mother and Grandmother for tea, but to her great disappointment he did not have any interesting knowledge to share. Fíriel would not have admitted to such a thing, but she had never been so bored as that afternoon, while he droned on to the women about a business involving many complicated figures and something about road repairs. Luckily, Grandmother had noticed, and sent her away with as much discretion as she could.

Their father was Lady Lalwendë’s husband, and the tallest man Fíriel had ever seen, taller than the Elves even. In spite of that, Fíriel was not afraid of him; in fact, of all the people who lived in that house, she liked him the most after Lady Lalwendë herself. The first time she had seen him, he told her a story of the first time he saw her grandfather, who had been more or less the age Fíriel was now (somehow, the headache was not as bad when she thought about this, perhaps because Grandfather had been already dead when she was born, and she knew that he had been a short-lived barbarian). He had been carrying a bundle of clothes, and was so surprised by his height that he lost his footing and fell on his rear. Usually, Grandmother was upset when someone reminded her of her dead husband, but this time she smiled too.

There was also another lady in the house, who never joined them, though the Lady Lalwendë was her mother. Fíriel might never have known of her existence, if not because, on one of those times when she was told to “play quietly outside”, she had got a little carried away and sprung upon her while running through one of the stately corridors. The woman must have been standing still or walking very quietly, because Fíriel had not heard her approach. Still, the moment the girl had met those eyes –grey, just like those of the rest of the family and Fíriel herself- she grew aware that she had done something very wrong. She hurried to bow and apologize with fervour, praying that the woman would not be angry enough to tell on her, but the only reaction had been a short admonishment not to run, in a curt yet hoarse voice that made Fíriel wonder if she had a head cold. After they took their leave that day, she had asked Grandmother about the mysterious lady, trying to omit as much as she could of the circumstances of their meeting. Grandmother said that she was the Lady Ilmarë, daughter of Lalwendë and Elendil, and to the girl’s shock her eyes had a shifty look, as if she was the one who was hiding something from her granddaughter instead of the other way around.

This had happened months ago, and from that day Fíriel had never seen the Lady Ilmarë again. Still, she no longer ran through the corridors, but walked on quietly, wondering if one day she would manage to surprise her again. In the girl’s mind, the woman had acquired the status of an enigma that had to be investigated, and she did not want to be caught doing something wrong the next time they met. Her careful search had proved fruitless countless times, but it had become a kind of game of its own, which kept her entertained during the long summer afternoons. She would never have been able to make it last more than a minute in her own home, but this house was huge, full of pathways, courtyards and winding corridors which seemed built to play hide-and-seek for days on end.

Today, she had the determination to explore a large annex where she had only been once before. It had been back in early Spring, when days were shorter, so it was already growing dark by the time she ventured inside. This darkness had made the deserted corridors look a little more intimidating than what Fíriel was ready to take at the moment. Though ashamed at her own cowardice, she had fled, but she had vowed to herself that she would return, and this time, she would not be scared so easily.

At first, the place looked just as deserted as it had been back then, though the sunrays filtering through the windows gave it a warmer, welcoming look. At some point of her progress, she heard voices coming from the distance, but to her disappointment none of them was female. After a while, their volume grew a little, and she realized that they were approaching her current position. Just then, it dawned upon her that perhaps she was not meant to be here, as she had not asked for anybody’s permission before she came in.

With a small feeling of trepidation, Fíriel saw a gallery to the left of the corridor, which opened into some sort of backyard. The voices did not seem to come from that direction, so she rushed through it. Maybe that would be enough to avoid those men altogether, and if not, there was always something less -objectionable about being caught in an open space, even if it was also part of that large house.

As she emerged at the other side of the gallery, however, Fíriel had the sudden, sinking feeling that this open space was not like the ones where children were allowed to play. It was a small garden, so well-tended that not a single blade of grass seemed to be out of place, and the walls surrounding it were covered in a magnificent set of mosaics, depicting heroes and great deeds which she could not immediately identify as part of any of the stories she knew. At the very centre of the place, where four small pathways covered in some sort of gleaming grey stone converged, stood a strange plant, stranger than any the girl had ever seen. It looked like the sapling of some tree, except that its fledgling trunk was entirely white, and its leaves silver. Fíriel had never seen a tree like this: it was so beautiful that for a moment she wanted to cry. She managed to resist this weird impulse, but for a long while she stood there, gazing at it open-mouthed, her other thoughts and concerns entirely forgotten.

It was like this that they found her. In dismay, she heard a harsh voice behind her back, and her heart gave a huge jump inside her chest before it sunk so low that she could feel it pressing against her stomach. She immediately turned away from the tree, and to her great horror she saw a priest standing behind her, a thin man with a hairless head and a flowing white tunic. Back home in the West nothing, not even soldiers, had scared her as much as priests, who rode from the sanctuary of the Forbidden Bay in the South to terrorize the farmers in revenge for some offense against the High Priest’s authority that the people in Fíriel’s village had committed in the past. Whenever she saw one, no, whenever she heard one approach, she had been taught to run and hide, but there was nowhere to hide now. Her gaze darted here and there like that of a cornered animal, trying to determine whether it would be possible to run past him and make it to the gallery while remaining out of his reach. But then she heard a movement behind him, and of course, how could she have been so stupid, they never came alone, they were always in groups.

“What are you doing here, child?” the priest asked. He was old and wrinkled, with large, severe eyes that seemed to pierce her innermost thoughts. She began sobbing, though in silence, as she was too scared to make a sound.

To her surprise, the priest looked almost as flabbergasted at this as she had been to see him. He turned to the man behind him, and her relief was so great when she discovered it was Lord Númendil that her sobs turned into full-fledged crying.

“Is there anything I should know about what Faithful parents tell their Faithful children about me? If so, let me remind you that I never did any harm to your son, though sometimes the temptation became almost unbearable.”

Lord Númendil walked past him until he reached her, knelt on the floor, and pulled her into an embrace. This was so unexpected that it made Fíriel stop crying, though she still remained in that position, finding it so comforting and enjoyable that she could not bring herself to extricate her still shaking body from it. As long as she was there no one could hurt her, not even the priest.

“This girl’s family emigrated from the south of the Andustar months ago, Lord Yehimelkor”, Númendil spoke in a mild voice. “It is not you that she fears, but other priests who abused their holy office to terrorize those weaker than themselves.”

“I see.” The priest’s thin lips curved in a scary grimace. “No priest should ever have been allowed to rule over a territory, large or small, much less to become the largest landholder of the Island. Still, I guess I should derive some small measure of comfort from the knowledge that it is not my successor she has met.”

“That is true, Lord Yehimelkor. And we will have to make sure that she never does.” He turned his attention back to Fíriel then, gently disengaging her from the embrace to wipe her tears away with his fingers. “Fíriel, Lord Yehimelkor used to be the High Priest of the Temple of Armenelos…”

“Does he burn people?” she asked, before she could check her impulse. Lord Númendil looked dismayed.

“No, not at all! He fought those who did those things, and if my son had not offered him his protection, his life would have been in terrible danger because of it. He escaped a great evil just like you, Fíriel.”

“I suppose that is an accurate assessment”, Lord Yehimelkor nodded. Despite the fact that he did not seem to be a threat to her after all, she still did not want to look at him. “Well, I will take my leave now.”

Lord Númendil muttered an apology, though he did not prevent his departure, something which made the girl very glad. After the priest left, she felt such relief that she could have been floating off the ground.

“I am sorry. Really, really sorry. I will never wander off again or… come to this place, or anything. I did not know this was here”, she babbled, pointing at the beautiful silver sapling with the white trunk. Númendil gave her a grave look, but he did not seem angry.

“Do you know what this is?” he asked. She blinked, wondering what was she expected to reply to that. She had never been there, or seen that tree before today.

Before she could say as much, however, Lord Númendil continued speaking.

“Have you heard of Laurelin and Telperion?” he asked next, and this time she knew the answer to his question. Of course she had heard of Laurelin and Telperion, they were the Two Trees of Valinor which the giant spider Ungoliant had sucked empty, except for two fruits that became the Sun and the Moon.

“That is right” Lord Númendil nodded, pleased at how well informed she was. “Those Trees perished long ago, but Telperion left issue before it died.”

“Issue?” she asked, not understanding the word.

“A child”, he clarified. “A young sapling that grew into a magnificent tree, in Armenelos. It was known as Nimloth, and before you were born it still stood, fair and proud, as a symbol of the friendship of the Elves and the protection of the Valar.” His eyes became lost in one of the beautiful mosaics, and as Fíriel followed it with her own glance, she noticed a large white tree standing in the middle of the western wall.

“Is that… Nimloth?” she asked, struggling with the pronunciation of the unfamiliar name. Next to the likeness of the tree, she saw the images of two men who fought armed soldiers, and then what looked like the same tree again, being cut and engulfed by bright red flames. The fire came from an evil altar, of those she had sometimes heard the adults mention, where the priests of Melkor killed people by order of the King. “But they burned it!”

“Yes, they did. But before that, two brave warriors stole inside the Palace at night and stole the last fruit of the White Tree to bring it to us.” So those were the heroes depicted in that mosaic, Fíriel guessed, wondering why she had never been told that story before. All the tales she heard were always about people who had lived very, very long ago, in worlds that either did not exist anymore or were banned to mortals. “From that fruit, a new sapling grew, which you can now see in front of you. Just like its parent, Telperion, Nimloth perished, but its lineage survived through its only child.”

“Its issue”, Fíriel nodded, proud of the new word she had learned. Lord Númendil smiled at this, but then he grew serious again. He sought her gaze as if he was steeling himself for something.

“Do you know who those two men were, Fíriel? One of them was my great-grandson, Isildur, whom you have seen. He barely escaped the King’s guards with his life, and this was only possible because of the sacrifice of his companion, who allowed himself to be caught so Isildur could escape with his prize. “His frown became almost a wince. “That man was Malik, your father.”

Fíriel’s mouth flew open, and she let go of a gasp. Astonished, she sought the mosaic again for the figures of the heroic warriors. One of them, who carried something that must be the fruit Lord Númendil had spoken about, was surely Lord Isildur. The other was surrounded by a circle of men who were pointing his swords at him; his head was raised high, and he looked defiant. She noticed that the little tiles arranged together to form his head and hands were darker than those of the other figures: like Aunt and Zebedin and Eldest Uncle, and many other uncles and aunts and cousins she had met, he must have had darker skin than the rest of the Númenóreans.

Out of an impulse, Fíriel walked towards the wall, and touched the mosaic with her hand. When she stood this close, both her father and his opponents lost their stately shapes, becoming mere agglomerations of differently coloured tiles. This made her want to cry again, though she was not even sure why. She had always been aware that her father was dead and that she would never meet him, and also that she would never know how he looked like, unless she imagined it. But somehow, being so close to a likeness of him and yet unable to grasp the details was more frustrating than not seeing him at all. Soon, this frustration grew so much that it started looking for targets around her.

Why had nobody ever told her? Did they think she was still a baby, who would be forever satisfied with some vague mention to her father being a hero on the mainland? Did they think that they could browbeat her into falling silent when she tried to ask questions? What rankled the most was that not even Grandmother had been truthful to her. Now and then, she combed her hair, dressed her in her best clothes and took her up the cliff to have tea with these people, but she had never mentioned that Father had been so important to them!

“Do not blame your family, for they had good reasons to hide this from you”, Lord Númendil spoke, and her thoughts were in so great a turmoil that she did not even notice that he had somehow managed to be aware of things she had never said aloud. “Your father ran afoul of the King of Númenor himself, and was killed on his orders. If your family had started telling the tale of his exploit as if he was one of the heroes of your grandmother’s stories, the Sceptre might have heard about it, and its wrath would have fallen upon their heads and yours.”

“Was he a criminal, then?” she asked, confused. Númendil looked as dismayed as he had when she asked if that Lord Yehimelkor had burned people.

“He was not a criminal. The King was… wrong about him, but he has grown too proud to listen to our side of the story, and he rules Númenor, so we must do our best to abide by his laws. Still, your father was a great hero, and thanks to him my great-grandson lives, and the White Tree still remains among us, as a symbol of our alliance with the Valar and a sign of hope for the future of our people”, he explained. “The house of Andúnië will forever remain in his debt, and though he is no longer among us, we honour his issue as we would honour him.”

His issue. “I am his issue”, she deduced, her anger and confusion dissipating before a feeling of awe. “Like the White Tree.”

“Yes.” Lord Númendil beamed. “Exactly like the White Tree. Though he was also cut down, he left a last fruit to continue his line.”

Her awe gave way to a renewed onslaught of doubt.

“But…” The question would sound rude, but she did not care. “If my family did not tell me because it was dangerous, why did you tell me just now?”

“Because you are old enough to know. Because this happened long ago and we are safe now, or as safe as anybody can be in the Island these days” he replied, in a more forceful tone than she had ever heard from this man. “And because you should never apologize for stepping inside this place, as if you were a common intruder who had no right to be here.”

Fíriel considered this. Slowly, she retreated one step, then two, and three, until Father’s figure came back into focus in all his handsome, dashing glory. Like this, he looked like a somewhat strange, darker-skinned version of Húrin, Tuor or Beren, and all of a sudden she could not wrap her head around the idea that this was her father, Aunt’s brother from a house of half-barbarian village farmers.

Thanks to him my great-grandson lives, Lord Númendil had said. She remembered Lady Lalwendë’s eldest son, who had never looked particularly grateful whenever their paths had crossed. Perhaps he thought that letting his mother fawn over her was enough. At least now Lady Lalwendë’s attitude made sense. If Grandmother’s grief was any indication, a mother’s pain for losing a son should be unbearable, even years after it happened, and the lady’s son had not died only because Fíriel’s father had died instead. Now, Fíriel could not help but wonder if Grandmother resented her for it, somewhere deep down. Was she ever in pain whenever she saw Lord Isildur walking about, did she need to work hard to keep it a secret? Maybe that could also be the reason why he was always so guarded around them, because he did not want to face her with the knowledge of what had happened.

Only then, why would Grandmother say that Lady Lalwendë was sad because she had lost someone? If that story was true, Lady Lalwendë had no reason whatsoever to feel like this. It made no sense, even considering that Grandmother had been trying to hide things from Fíriel at the time.

“I seem to have answered a number of your questions, only for more questions to rise and take the place of the old”, Lord Númendil remarked, surveying her frown with a wistful look. “I will not tell you to forget them and pretend that nothing has happened, but you are an older girl now, and you are aware of other people’s feelings. And I know that you will be very careful not to bring any more pain to those who have already been hurt in the past.”

Fíriel was not used to be treated like an adult who could manage things on her own, let alone things such as these. This trust touched her heart, but her strongest determination to prove herself worthy of it did not avail her when a new, burning question appeared in her mind.

“And my mother? Who was she, and why did she die?” She winced when she saw him flinch. “Did the King kill her, too?”

“No”, a voice spoke from the gallery. “She died from grief, and she is buried in Andúnië.”

Fíriel stared. The woman who had just appeared was none other than the elusive lady she had been trying to find before this happened. Lord Isildur’s sister, her mind supplied at once, already in overdrive from trying to make sense of so many bits and pieces of the big mystery that her life had suddenly become. She looked as unfriendly as she had back when she scolded Fíriel for running inside the house, but this time her unfriendliness seemed directed at Lord Númendil instead of herself. Fíriel swallowed, her curiosity quenched by the sudden awareness of the conflict brewing around her. The woman’s eyes were colder than ice, and Lord Númendil looked down, as if he was feeling too weak to face her wrath.

“I w-will go find G-grandmother, if it pleases you, my lady”, she mumbled, wanting to flee this place as much as she had only a short while ago. She would only have paused in her tracks if Lord Númendil had called after her, but he did not, so she walked past the silent lady until she reached the gallery, then the corridor, which was now almost as dark as the day she had first ventured into this part of the house.

Once that she was out of their sight and earshot, something stirred inside her chest, and unable to hold herself back any longer, she broke into a run.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“I understand your feelings, Ilmarë, but there is nothing I can do about it.” Amandil let his gaze wander past his sullen-faced granddaughter, to meet his daughter-in-law’s pained expression and his father’s unreadable look. “These people decided of their own free will to leave their hometown in the southern Andustar to settle in Rómenna. I do not own the Andustar anymore, and I certainly do not own Rómenna, not even the plot of land where this house was built, as that still belongs to Father. And even if I did, I would not forbid entrance to people who are fleeing a terrible situation and looking for a better life only because it makes you uncomfortable.”

A terrible situation which many might see as his fault, no less, he thought bitterly. When he had been exiled from the Andustar, a great part of his former province had been returned to the lordship of the Cave, whose vindictive High Priest had not forgotten his hatred for Amandil nor the humiliation of his men at the hands of the villagers who had fought to resist his attacks in the past. As a result, his men had gone out of their way to turn the lives of their new subjects into a nightmare, raising the taxes and seizing any small pretext to wreak havoc upon those who did not comply readily enough. Aside from welcoming and helping all those who decided to try their luck in the East, the former lord of Andúnië had also written many petitions to the Sceptre, asking it to curb the insolence of the Cave. Since Ar Pharazôn barely set foot in the Island those days, those petitions had reached the Queen, who had ignored them all and allowed the situation to continue. Shortly ago, the King had returned from the mainland, it seemed that for a longer period this time, and this had decided Amandil to try once more. But his hopes were dwindling fast, as he was growing increasingly certain that leaving that hateful priest in charge had been just a way to circumvent that oath and get back at Amandil for his perceived treason.

“You could not be more wrong about me, Grandfather”, Ilmarë spoke, and he forced his thoughts away from that subject and back to the issue at hand. “I do not wish to abandon anyone to a terrible fate, and my personal comfort is not relevant to this discussion. I am glad that they have found a good life in Rómenna, how would I not? But that girl should not come here. How long will it be until everyone notices that she looks exactly like us? And how long will it be until someone establishes a connection between her family and the man who killed the Guards?” She had not spoken Malik’s name in years. “The Queen is looking for her, and I will not have her dragged to Armenelos to serve as the plaything of her abomination.”

“Do not refer to the Prince of the West as an abomination, Ilmarë”, Amandil intervened. In recent times, he had been hearing more and more voices in his vicinity parroting that theory, which was not merely cruel, but also dangerous. If such notions were to be attributed to the beliefs of the Faithful, they could be suspected of hostile intent towards the heir to the Sceptre, an accusation far more harmful than the usual distaste for their religious practices.

She snorted.

“I said it before the Queen herself.” And Ar Zimraphel had brought it up when Amandil himself was on trial, he thought, irritated at her stubbornness.

“That is not the point”, Elendil said, and Amandil was grateful for his intervention. “The point is that a boy who received his body and soul from Eru himself like any other human being does not deserve that name, no matter what evil sorcery others may have wrought around him.”

“I could not care less for what he deserves. Too many people have unwillingly laid down their lives for his sake.” She shrugged. “All I care about is Fíriel, and what she deserves. Some of you are behaving as if her danger should not be taken seriously. As if it was some hallucination that sprung from my feverish mind in a time of great grief and confusion. But I can assure you, it is not. I spoke to the Queen, and she said those words to me, as loud and clear as I am talking to you now.”

Quite unexpectedly, it was Anárion who spoke.

“And why would the Queen warn you of something that she wished to do, if she knew that you would take steps to ensure that she could not do it? Great-grandfather claims that she is far-sighted, but that is not the behaviour of a far-sighted person, it is the behaviour of a fool. Unless perhaps she could foresee that you would react like this, and that your reaction would somehow further her plans.”

Ilmarë first looked confused at this, then outraged.

“This is not a chess game, Anárion. It is reality”, she spat, her temper flaring anew. But Númendil raised his glance, and Amandil involuntarily turned to gaze at him.

“I agree with Anárion. What if the Queen’s intention had been to remove Fíriel from our sight so we could not protect her?”

“In that case, what would have prevented her from taking action long ago? She has been acting as sole ruler of Númenor for years, and we were an Island apart from Fíriel and her family”, Isildur intervened. That made sense to Amandil, too, but Númendil did not look discouraged.

“Perhaps she did not think it was the right time.”

“That is the most absurd argument I have ever heard!”

“The thoughts of far-sighted people might appear absurd to some”, Númendil retorted. Amandil gaped: he did not remember his father ever acting so contentiously. Perhaps Númendil was almost as surprised as his son himself was, when his attempt to pull rank as a far-sighted person made Isildur fall silent and look down.

“Was this why you told her things about her father and the White Tree that not even her own family had thought prudent to tell her?” Ilmarë picked up her brother’s slack. Númendil sighed.

“Yes. I felt I was doing the right thing, that she needed to know something of who she was and where she came from, before…” His voice trailed away, and though he had surely noticed the turmoil he had caused around him, he pretended that he had not. “But I am aware that I cannot expect you, any of you, to agree with me. Or her family, for the matter. I will apologize to them and make amends to the best of my ability.”

“Before what?” This time, it was not Ilmarë, or Isildur, who had raised their voice to interrogate Númendil, but Lalwendë herself. She had been sitting in silence until now, perhaps contrite because her grandmotherly weakness had caused this situation, but this prudent attitude had now given way to alarm.

“I am not sure”, Númendil replied, and Amandil was almost tempted to believe in his sincerity. “It is very hard to make sense of foresight. All I know is that she is standing at some kind of crossroads, and that she will need to be strong and proud of herself.”

“That does make sense”, Elendil came to his rescue. “I would not know about foresight, but I do believe that, at the end of the day, the last and strongest defence that we have lies in ourselves. We cannot protect our loved ones forever, for the time will come when they will have to face their fate alone, and there is nothing we can do to help them.” He gave a long, meaningful glance in the direction of his two most difficult children, and Amandil knew very well what was crossing his mind. So, apparently, did they, for none of them breathed a word.

“Very well, then”, Amandil took advantage of the momentary silence to intervene. “We will trust Father’s foresight to guide us, and Fíriel, in the right direction. And we will keep an eye on her, as much as we can, but without further disrupting her life and that of her family. We already did that enough”, he remarked, though he did not experience any satisfaction when he saw Isildur wince.

Ilmarë, on her part, merely fixed her gaze ahead, as if she had not even heard him. When her mother laid an arm over her shoulders, she did not shake it away. All of a sudden, Amandil felt the unseemly urge to go and apologize to her, for Fíriel, for Malik, for what had happened today and for everything else that had happened through the years. Even though a rational part of his mind insisted that her situation had not been his fault, and that no small part of the blame was to be laid at her own feet, it was as if those considerations simply did not matter. Her pain was too loud, too intense to leave space for anything else.

In the end, he settled for the simplest option, the concrete incident that he could still grasp.

“I am sorry for my earlier words, Ilmarë. I was worried, and I let my temper have the best of me. I do not believe that you would ever have anything but Fíriel’s best interests in mind.”

This time, her face betrayed a reaction to his words –a slight puzzlement, as if she had never expected him to say a thing like that. It hurt, though he did not allow it to show.

“I accept your apology, Grandfather”, she said, softly, as she and her mother rose and took their leave.

 

*     *     *     *    *

 

“So you have been receiving more petitions like this.”

Zimraphel nodded calmly.

“Three, to be exact. This is the fourth.”

“And you have not investigated them?”

She raised the silver cup to her lips, delicately holding it between two pale fingers.

“Why would I waste time and resources in investigating something that I know to be true?”

Pharazôn was about to eat the last mouthful on his plate, but he postponed the manoeuvre to stare at her in incredulity.

“So you have been just ignoring them? Is this the message that you wish to send, that anyone is free to devastate the Númenórean countryside because they have a grudge against their neighbour? This chaos already happened in the past, when your father proved too weak to intervene in the inner disputes of the lords of the Island. Now, I have been too busy putting down revolts and conquering new territories, but you were here! Do you want them to think that they can do as they please while you hold the Sceptre?”

For a moment, he thought that she would be upset at his words, but she remained quite calm.

“No. I have only been working with what you left me, Pharazôn.” Her gaze held a brief tinge of steel. “You did not want Lord Amandil executed, or murdered in one of Zigûr’s intrigues. You did not want civil strife, either. So I had him and his family exiled. But I could not exile all his people with him, for they were not guilty of any crime. You are the warrior, so answer me this, what happens when you lower your guard and your enemy stands right behind you, biding his time until your back is turned?”

Pharazôn’s planned reply to her first words died on his lips as her tirade progressed. He shook his head, trying to compose another, but he did not quite know how to begin. Not for the first time, his eyes wandered towards Gimilzagar, who sat on the table next to her. The boy’s attention was absorbed by his plate, where he had spent a long time carefully picking apart his food until every single bit of meat had been isolated from the rest of the ingredients and set aside on a neat pile.

“My enemy” he said at last, “is not a bunch of peasants who kneel before wooden dolls.” As he spoke, his mind was filled with a vivid memory of standing before a pile of corpses in a cold valley in Forostar, doing his best to appear nonchalant before the censure of those accursed grey eyes he was unable to forget, no matter how many years had passed.

Wouldn’t Ar Adunakhôr have been better served in his policies if he had not isolated them? If he had remembered that they, too, were his people?

“You have seen the power of religion with your own eyes”, Zimraphel continued, ignoring his thoughts. “And yet, you still act as if you do not understand it. Any religion is a force of its own, which can lend strength to the weakest person and turn them into a formidable enemy. If those who worship the Baalim see us as fell incarnations of the great evil that marred the world, this could convince them that nothing, whether it be treason, murder, or the risk of death, should be enough to stop them.” Gimilzagar ate a small mouthful of food, but grimaced at the taste, and pushed the meat so close to the edge of the plate that a few morsels fell from it, staining the pristine white tablecloth. “Let them all regroup in the East, under the watchful vigilance of the great army of Sor, and create a community there. This way, we will be able to control them, we will know where and who they are, and the Western coast will be freed of their presence. You know, as well as I do, whose emissaries used to land there in the past.”

The power of religion. Pharazôn remembered how he used to believe in all those superstitions, how their power had seemed so real to him back then. At some point he must have grown out of it, he supposed, and instead began using it as just one more weapon in his arsenal. Then, Zigûr had come to Númenor, and despite what Zimraphel might claim, Pharazôn had realized that religion could have true power after all, not only on minds but also on bodies and matter. But not any religion, Zigûr’s religion. The Baalim had not acted upon the mortal world since the Age of the Gods, as –at least according to Amandil’s beliefs- higher powers were not allowed to interfere with the fate of Men. This, however, had been shown to be a fallacy, which begged the next question. Were they unable to interfere, because they lacked the ability or the strength for it, or did they just not care? Or were they merely biding their time, and waiting for the appropriate moment? For if that was the case, Zimraphel was right, and the West of the Island should be rid of those who might believe it was their duty to welcome the enemies of Númenor with open arms. Ar Adunakhôr must have thought of that possibility, too, for he had chosen to send them all into exile. Not being tied by any inconvenient oaths, and having just emerged victorious from a fully-fledged civil war where his enemies had shown their true colours, he had been free to do so openly.

Zimraphel beamed.

“Yes.”

“I still do not like the idea of landholders believing they are above the law”, he frowned, unable to let go of his resistance entirely. He had never liked surrender. “I will set up another military governorship in the south of the Andustar; the Cave’s mismanagement of the whole area will provide me with the excuse to take away those lands from them. If the region must be watched, experienced men taking their orders directly from me will do it much better than petty priests who only care for their own pride.”

“That is an excellent idea.” The remainder of his food had grown cold by this point, but that was nothing compared with the disgusting mess on Gimilzagar’s plate. Now that the other issue had been dealt with, Pharazôn was growing more and more aware of how grating on the nerves his table manners were.

“Will you eat your food?”

The boy was so startled by this that he almost jumped on his chair. Pharazôn felt a familiar frustration gather in his chest. He understood that he had not spent much time with Gimilzagar because of the mainland wars, and that he could not expect the boy to be as comfortable around him as he was around his mother. That was why he was doing his best to bridge the gap, making time among his many obligations so they could be together as often as possible, and not only in ceremonies that involved cutting war prisoners open in the altar of the Temple.

So far, however, the Prince of the West seemed impervious to any attempt to sidestep that one negative experience and build a closer rapport. Sometimes, Pharazôn wondered if he was trying to figure out the amount of annoying behaviour he could get away with. That would not have been unusual, except that he would not even engage in such familiar tactics in the same way as any other boy of his age. Pharazôn had been a trying child once, himself, wilfully misbehaving at every turn and defying his father, who did not command his respect or his fear. Gimilzagar, on the other hand, might have been hiding under the table right now, if Zimraphel had not been there. Everything Pharazôn said or did seemed to be a source of alarm for him, and yet all this caution did not prevent the boy from acting exactly in the way that would bother him the most. If Zimraphel had ever been like him, as she sometimes claimed, he could not help but feel the first stirrings of sympathy for Tar Palantir.

“I am not hungry”, Gimilzagar said, looking at his mother and speaking in a low voice that perhaps he was hoping Pharazôn would not hear. He refused to feel challenged by this.

“What is wrong with the meat?” he asked, doing his best to sound as if he honestly wanted to know.

Gimilzagar turned towards him for a moment, then quickly averted his glance. Zimraphel pressed a comforting hand upon his shoulder, and he opened his mouth, frowned, then closed it again in dismay, as if balking at the unsurmountable difficulty of answering a simple question.

“Gimilzagar has not been able to eat meat since that day in the Temple”, Zimraphel spoke for him. “He says that the smell reminds him of it.”

It, Pharazôn thought, meant the onslaught of visions which had assaulted his son as he stood too close to one of the barbarians and somehow became able to see through his eyes. The mad idea that perhaps Gimilzagar hated him because his enemy’s thoughts had become stuck inside the boy’s mind, which Zimraphel had dispelled back then, briefly crept into his brain again- and with it, the sudden image of Amandil laughing at the irony.

“Do not eat it, then”, he said, his voice slightly raised. “Refuse the sacrifice of the cow that was killed to nourish you, as you would refuse the sacrifice of those who were killed to give you strength. Perhaps you wish to remain weak for all your life, and hide behind that excuse to avoid facing your fears!”

Gimilzagar’s eyes widened, and he began to sob. Gazing at Pharazôn with a reproachful look, Zimraphel pulled him into a comforting embrace.

“Your father did not mean it” she said, and he was too taken aback to challenge this. “I will have fish brought to you. You love fish, don’t you, my dear? When we are in Sor, we will see the Sea, and you can go fishing if you want.”

“What?” Still out of sorts, it took him some time to realize what she had said. “What do you mean, when we are in Sor?”

Every once in a very long while, Zimraphel had the good grace to look abashed.

“I was going to tell you”, she explained. “While you were in the mainland, I promised Gimilzagar that, once you were back in Númenor, I would be free to spend the summer with him, wherever he wanted to go. Now, it is summer and you are here, and by the looks of it you are going to be busy investigating the Cave’s misdeeds and establishing that military governorship in the Andustar. So Gimilzagar reminded me of my promise, and he said that he wanted to see the Sea.”

The boy had stopped crying now, and was listening in to their conversation with a hint of trepidation. Pharazôn shook his head, not even knowing what to say.

“But you hate the Sea”, he managed to articulate at last. “You hate running water of any shape or kind. You had the fountains of the Palace go dry because their sound disturbed you. And now you are telling me that you want to leave Armenelos for a pleasure trip to the seaside? When exactly were you planning to tell me?”

“Mother…” Gimilzagar tried to chime in, his forehead beginning to curve in a frown. But she did not let him intervene.

“Anything that makes Gimilzagar happy will make me happy”, she said, firmly. “I am in control of my demons now, Pharazôn. And one day he, too, will be.”

The boy’s attention shifted towards him now. Pharazôn sighed at the pure, undisguised longing in his gaze.

 “If that is the case”, he said, forcing himself to measure his words carefully, “I could never object to something that makes both of you happy.” Even if your son’s happiness does not include you, the sarcastic voice whispered in the back of his mind, but he did his best to ignore it. The truth was that Zimraphel had time for him, and for a well-deserved rest after years of trials and paperwork and ceremonies and Council meetings. Ar Pharazôn the Golden did not. The day he surrendered the reins of all this again, it would not be to retire to some secluded spot where he could while his days in idleness and games, but to wage war on the mainland. Right now, at least, there was peace, a peace so firmly imposed that it might be a while before anyone would think of revolt in any of the Númenórean territories again. Ironically enough, the resistance posed by those with the reputation of being the fiercest tribes had been the first to crumble, when the Númenóreans started dealing with them in the same way in which they had dealt with others in their own wars.  As Zigûr had put it, it was usually the weakest who tried to hide behind a shield of grisly legends of what they would do to their enemies. The strong, meanwhile, would waste their advantage trying to civilize others, and labour under the delusion of being heroes, who acted with nobility and clemency. That was why their respective forces balanced out, and why none of the previous Kings had been truly able to solve the Haradric problem.

Solving the Haradric problem, however, had never meant so little in the larger scheme of things. For now, Númenor had borders in lands whose existence his predecessors would not have been able to imagine, borders that made them vulnerable to the invasion of peoples whose very names they did not know. And in the end none of those high-sounding excuses even mattered, as the truth was that they needed to go to war, for the might of Númenor was at the brink of spreading too thin, and the only thing that could keep this great empire together was the protection of the Great Deliverer, the Lord of Battles, in exchange for souls.

Not for the first time, Pharazôn tried to imagine Gimilzagar dealing with this. Would all the souls in the world make him strong, not just in body but also in mind? Zimraphel seemed very certain of it, and though her foresight had always been true, it had never been as susceptible to be clouded by feelings as it was now.

“Thank you, Father”, the boy mumbled, and the unexpected sound of his voice jerked him away from his dark musings. At first, still caught in the drift of his thoughts, he could not understand why Gimilzagar would thank him, unless it was meant as an ironical retort to a father who thought him incapable. But then, he realized that the Prince had never antagonized him in such an open way, and that it was unlikely that he would do so now. And as he thought this, he suddenly saw a flicker of sincerity, timid yet real in Gimilzagar’s eyes.

Another moment of pondering the boy’s inadequacies and trying to twist his words into something unpleasant and he would have missed it. Perhaps nothing was wrong with Gimilzagar after all, he thought, but with him. Once, Amandil had predicted that he would fall under the lure of Zigûr and that the former Dark Lord would make him hurt those he wanted to protect. This had never happened in such a dramatic way, but perhaps there was such a thing as so much blood and death that one was rendered unable to dine with his own son.

He is ten, Zimraphel had said to him, back when they had quarrelled after the ceremony at the Temple. Ten, Pharazôn. He has been sick at least half of that time, and he sees things, feels things that he cannot even make sense of. He will have many years to grow used to the sight of death, to stand strong and proud among the assembled people of Númenor, and even to follow you in your wars and fight our enemies. But he is a child now, and children are weak, even those who were not born dead. And until they grow into their own, they have to be protected.

Where was this impatience coming from? Gimilzagar had been born much later than any other heir to the throne of Númenor, and at a key moment of its expansion. But Pharazôn was still in his prime, even more now that he knew how to renew his youth and vigour so they would last longer than those of his predecessors. Gimilzagar would have enough time to grow, and who knew? if Zigûr’s promises had not been empty, the King of Númenor might even have a chance of conquering immortality before the end. Was he starting to think like the barbarians, who taught their cruel ways to their young because they were unable to escape the poignant awareness that they could be dead the next day?

Why are you so frightened? Amandil’s mocking voice asked. Don’t you rule the world now?

“Have fun in Sor, my son” he said, forcing himself to smile in defiance of all this. “I am sure that you will love the Sea. And the Arms of the Giant, though I must warn you that the statues cannot be climbed. I know, for I tried once.”

“You were found hanging from the Wolf’s tail, and had to be rescued. The late Princess of the South almost had a fit that day.” Zimraphel smiled. Thank you, her black eyes were saying.

They had time, he thought, even as his patience was further tried by Gimilzagar eating his fish in a very slow show of quiet enjoyment, and then, as the candles in the large crystal lamps flickered and almost became extinguished, his dessert. Even enough for children to be allowed to be children, if they had to.

Summer Seas

Read Summer Seas

Gimilzagar had never seen so many wonderful things together in one place.

Sor was a great city, the adults said that greater than Armenelos even, though it looked nothing like it. It seemed to have exploded, its shards spilling across miles and miles of coast in a meandering sprawl which had the gigantic harbour as its only rallying point, and the colossal statues of the Warrior and the King as its guardians. Ships, hundreds and hundreds of them, came and went from the Arms of the Giant, once built by Ar Adunakhôr for the purpose of holding the wide world, and now increasingly unable to hold the onslaught of traffic they received at every hour of the day.

The Prince of the West and his mother had seen all this from afar, for getting lost in the hustle and bustle of the heart of the city was of course unthinkable. Also from afar, they saw the towers of the merchants, the temple of Melkor, one of the Four Great Temples of old lore, and the large fortress at the centre of the garrison of Sor, the greatest concentration of soldiers in the Island, spreading from the summit of a hill across the surrounding plain which descended gently towards the coast. This second city did not mix with the other one, as a large, heavily guarded fence kept it carefully withdrawn yet vigilant, like the Guards who watched over the ladies in their entourage, never speaking a word to them but ready to pounce if they were threatened by some danger.

Of all those things, however, there was one that Gimilzagar would not be content with just seeing from afar, and that was the Sea. He had never caught a glimpse of it before, in his secluded life behind the high walls of the Palace. Travel would make him sick, they had always told him when he insisted; he was too weak to endure the hardships of the road. So all he had been able to do was imagine it, and dream of it, so often and so vividly that sometimes he awoke with the certainty that he had seen it with his waking eyes. Everything that came from the Sea was the object of his deepest fascination, from the gilded shells used in the games that the women played with him, to the fish brought in a horse-cart to the Palace kitchens to end up in his plate. He used to pretend that he was as tiny as his small finger, and that the pond in his back garden was the Great Sea, which he sailed in one of the toy ships Mother had gifted to him. But none of those things had really prepared him for what he would see once the Mittalmar was left behind, and the coast was suddenly revealed before his eyes.

How foolish he had been! This blue, changing, living immensity that stretched beyond his view could never have been contained by a ridiculous basin of carved stone. On the day of their arrival the sky had been slightly dark, and a strong wind had been blowing, covering the surface of the water with many small jets of white, like the grey hairs that grew in the dark mane of Lord Abdazer, the chief of their escort. The following day, however, once they were already settled in a beautiful villa that stood in the farthest outskirts of Sor, they awoke to a clear, cloudless sky, and the wind was gone. And when Gimilzagar jumped from his bed to look at the Sea from the tiled porch, he was amazed to discover that it was now turquoise blue, and as smooth and even as the surface of a mirror.

At first, it had made him happy to just walk down to the cliff, and stand on it as he watched the waves come and go, noting the movement of the tides as the mysterious force of an invisible moon –or so his tutors said- pulled the water forwards and backwards. But he was not allowed to walk to the beach and get his feet wet, for the water was very cold and he could “catch something”, his nurse claimed with an apprehensive look at the waves. Not for the first time, he wondered what age would he have to be before Mother’s promises came true and he grew strong enough to do as he wanted.

As things were, it took him two days of hard work until he managed to secure permission to visit the nearby harbour of Rómenna, though only to see the fishermen bring home their captures. To go off on a boat, even with Lord Abdazer and the Royal Nurse flanking him like the Warrior and the King, remained out of the question. Still, and despite this limitation, he found it a fascinating experience to lay foot on a harbour. The smells, the sights, the voices assaulted his senses, but not in the negative way he was accustomed to. Everything, from the sight of half-naked men working to disentangle their struggling catch from the folds of their nets, to the woman who skilfully applied her knife to the silvery back of an enormous fish, making its scales jump in every direction, made him curious, and eager to know more.

Unfortunately, his escort had other ideas. Whenever Gimilzagar tried to see any of those marvels from up close, they advanced threateningly towards the people he approached, causing them to drop everything they were doing and kneel before them with looks of great fright. After four instances of this, the Prince of the West grew frustrated enough to complain aloud.

The Royal Nurse frowned at him.

“You are the heir to the Sceptre, my lord prince. Our duty is to keep you safe.”

“But I am safe!” he protested. “They are fishermen, not…. Orcs, or barbarians!”

“There are many Baalim-worshippers in here”, she replied. “And some of them can be more dangerous than Orcs or barbarians.”

Baalim-worshippers. Gimilzagar had heard about them, though he had never seen any of them from up close. But if they could mix with fishermen who went about their business so peacefully, how scary could they be? The lady’s mouth, however, had thinned in that ominous way that meant that Gimilzagar would do better to keep his opinions to himself. He could feel that she was out of sorts, wary of everyone who surrounded them, angry because the hem of her beautiful robes was getting dirty and disgusted by the smell of fish.

Still, swallowing his frustration did nothing to improve his own mood. It was not fair. Why was he never allowed to do anything? He was not sick anymore. He had withstood the journey from Armenelos because he had been so keen to see what lay beyond. And now that he had realized that what lay beyond was far more interesting than he had imagined, he felt rebellious at the notion that he should merely look at it from a distance, as if it was an old heirloom kept in a locked box for thousands of years. He wanted to hold one of those large, slippery monsters of the deep, try to wrest their scales away with the knife. He wanted to walk under the folds of the fishnets, stand on the deck of a boat as it was untied from its mooring, see how it felt to be surrounded by water from all sides. But he could not, and none of these people would ever take him with them or answer his questions. They would not even let him look, for all tasks were interrupted, and every instrument fell to the pavement with a clatter whenever he was in the vicinity, and did not resume until a while after he had left.

In the end, it was his own decision to leave. He was only disrupting the fishermen’s activity and upsetting his escort, the longer he remained in this place. The joy and curiosity he had felt at the beginning were spent, leaving only an increasing self-consciousness: no one wanted him here, and they would not breathe easily until after he had disappeared. The feeling of being subject to unfair treatment grew, until it threatened to extend past the confines of the best behaviour he had promised Mother to keep. It was them, who had made it be like this. They were the mean ones, not him.

After they put him back in his litter, they left the town centre at a faster pace than before. Gimilzagar would barely have had time to look at the small stone houses receding in the distance, even if he had been in the mood for it. As he sat wallowing in self-pity, however, his eyes fell on a rocky stretch of the beautiful beach that fell on their left as they progressed towards Mother’s villa. They had passed it on their way to Rómenna, and he remembered wishing he could sit and let the fine sand trickle down his fingers. Now, the entire landscape seemed to have changed, and even though he knew about tides, he could not help feeling that there was something magic about how those large extensions of bare rock had emerged from under the waves, like the lost cities of tales. For a moment, his amazement even made him forget how upset he was.

“Hurry”, the Royal Nurse’s voice ordered from somewhere behind him. “I do not like this place.”

Upon hearing these words, Gimilzagar’s anger came back in a rush. He stuck his head through the folds.

“Stop. I need to relieve myself.”

He was not sure if he had done it because he needed to thwart her somehow, knowing that she would not be happy with the delay. But when he was taken to a roadside inn, and Abdazer forced all its customers to vacate it so the Prince could visit the latrines in the back, the mad idea, almost unthinkable only an hour before, was emerging in his mind in all its reckless glory. Both the lady and the guard followed close behind him, only falling back behind the last door, the one that gave to the backyard where the latrines were. The smell was terrible, Gimilzagar thought, but he was not planning on lingering there.

“I am feeling sick”, he informed, with all the calm dignity that he could muster. “It will take a while.”

As soon as he checked that they could not see him anymore, the Prince of the West headed for the back door, and for the first time in his life, he broke into a run.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Running was difficult but also exhilarating, so much that, for a while, even the stitches in his side and the pain in his chest were not enough to make him stop. When he finally did, and managed to blink back the cloud from his eyes, he realized that the beach was empty, but the rocks were not. Crouching over a number of small ponds that some invisible hand had excavated on them, there were people, engaging in mysterious activities that they briefly paused to give him a surprised look. Still, to his huge relief, no one dropped anything or bowed, and no one seemed about to attack him either. It appeared that, without his escort there to make mean faces at people, he had finally managed to pass unnoticed.

Happy at the realization, Gimilzagar walked towards the closest rock, and climbed on top of it. That part was easy enough, but when he gazed ahead at his next objective, he swallowed hard. Even worse, as he tried to stand erect where he was, he realized that the surface was viscous and slippery and he could not keep his footing. Just in time, he managed to bend his knees and remain on his fours instead of falling face-flat on the first pond, or worse, on the ragged rock. Behind his back, he heard laughter, and belatedly he grew aware of how humiliating his position was.

“There, let me help you”, a voice greeted his ears. Surprised, the boy raised his glance to see a girl perched on the rocks before him, easily leaning forwards to offer him a sun-tanned hand. Though her feet were bound in what looked like the rather flimsy structure of a straw sandal, she did not seem to have problems keeping her footing. A little mortified, he wondered if he could even free his own hands without falling, but luckily he was able to keep most of his remaining dignity intact before her.

“Do not squirm so much”, she scolded, as she helped him to reach her pond step by step. “And stop flapping your arm around! You’re not a seagull, and you can’t fly.”

Gimilzagar tried to follow her instructions, but the tension in his body was so great that he could not stop twisting his every limb as if he was trying to walk on a tightrope. When they finally reached a somewhat more stable ground, he forced himself to stand on his own without her help. Taking the cue from the other people scattered in their vicinity, he crouched before the pond, but the position was so uncomfortable that he did not think he could last long.

The girl crouched before him. As her face stood close to his own, he could not prevent himself from swallowing hard. She looked so different from all the people he had ever met that he had the feeling of having walked into one of his weirdest dreams. Their ages could not be too far apart, and yet she seemed to be here entirely on her own, with no fussy adults hounding her steps. She had raven black hair, like his, tied in a knot behind her face, and her eyes were a stunning hue of grey. She wore no cover and no hat, letting the sun shine freely on her features. The ladies that looked after Gimilzagar hated the sun, because they said that it would burn their skin, so they always covered every inch of it when they were forced to stand outside. But the girl’s skin was not burned: instead, it seemed to have taken a light brown colour, just like her hands.

At some point, Gimilzagar woke up and realized that she was looking at him with the same intensity with which he must be looking at her, and that her astonishment must be a mirror of his own. This made him self-conscious, so he forced himself to focus on something else. His eyes fell upon a bucket that stood next to her, full of strange, crawling creatures whose shapes he could not distinguish very well.

“What is that?” he asked. The girl stared at the bucket, then back at him; there was incredulity in her glance.

“What are you doing so far from the city?” she asked, instead of answering his question. “And where did you lose your servants?”

Gimilzagar was about to lose his precarious position and fall on his rear. How did she know that? Could she know who he was?

“You look like a pampered merchant’s son spending his summer in his father’s villa” she continued, thankfully before he had the chance to betray himself. With what seemed to him like an inordinate amount of skill, the girl manoeuvred an implement, some sort of metal wire, into a hole of the rocks, twisting it until another of those crawling creatures emerged from it, straight into a small net. Still wriggling, she dropped it in the bucket. “You haven’t ever seen a crab before? Not even in the market? Or on the table?”

“Is that for eating?” he asked, horrified. Her incredulity grew, then disappeared as it had come, leaving only a detached kind of indifference in its wake.

“You have to boil them first. And take the shell away. Perhaps you have only seen them baked into a pie or something.”

“Is that why you are catching them?”

“No, I am just playing”, she explained, though there was something odd about her tone. “At the end of the day, I let them all go and return to my villa where the servants have crab pies waiting for me. Of course that’s why I am catching them!”

“I am sorry. I did not mean to offend you”, he apologized, wondering why it was suddenly so difficult to say the right thing. In all his years of life, he had never spoken to a girl like her; the adults around him would never have permitted it. “What is your name?”

If he thought that this line of questioning would be more to her liking, he was sorely mistaken.

“Why do you want to know?” She was struggling to catch another crab, but this one managed to elude her and disappear into his hole as quickly as he had emerged from it. Gimilzagar was feeling quite nonplussed by now.

“Because it is polite to introduce oneself when meeting another person.” Prince Gimilzagar, Child of the Deliverer and Light of the West, Heir to the Sceptre of Númenor and Middle-Earth, the herald’s voice involuntarily rang in his memory, and he felt the urge to cringe. Meanwhile, the girl had abandoned her endeavours and was staring at him again.

“I am Fíriel”, she said after a while, hostility clear in her gaze. “Yes, it’s Elvish, and I am of the Faithful. But if I cry out my cousin will come and he is twice as big as you are. He will break your nice teeth and throw you into the deepest pool before you can even think of calling your servants for help.” After this shocking pronouncement, she seemed to review him again, and shrugged. “On second thought, I could do that myself.”

Elvish. So those were the famous Baalim-worshippers the Royal Nurse had warned Gimilzagar about, the ones he needed an armed guard to protect himself from. He had managed to run into them, and now they were threatening him with violence, though he had done nothing to them. And yet, he thought, there was something discordant about this threat, as if it was but a curtain and behind it lay something else.

For the first time in his life, the boy did not cower from the onslaught of other people’s feelings, afraid that they would spill over him like a jet of boiling water, but instead tried to concentrate in deciphering them. He could perceive no fully-formed thoughts, only a suppressed fear, vibrating in the air like the harrowing echo of what he had felt that fateful day, as he stood near the foot of the altar.

He extended his hands in a placating gesture, which finally made him fall on his rear. The rock was rugged and his clothes too thin, and he felt a brief explosion of pain. This made the connection break momentarily, enough for him to regain his clarity of thought.

“I would much prefer if we were… friends”, he said, savouring this word, which he had never had the chance of speaking before. “I am Abdazer, and my father is a merchant from Sor.”

Fíriel frowned, obviously wrestling with contradictory thoughts. After a long while, she seemed to reach a decision.

“As I said, I am Fíriel. And my uncle is a peasant from the Andustar.”

“But that is on the other side of the Island! Why would you spend your holiday in this sea when you have your own?”

It did not take him more than an instant to realize that he had said the wrong thing again.

“I am not here on a ‘holiday’” she spat, her grey eyes cold. “My uncle had to flee from his home because the wicked priests of the Cave burned his crops and stole his grain and would not leave us alone.”

Gimilzagar had no idea of what to say to this. He had seen priests from the Cave in the Palace before, but they had not looked wicked to him at all, and he would never have believed them capable of doing something so evil. But if they had been up to no good, Mother should have been informed. Or Father, who was the one looking after those things now.

“Why didn’t you tell…?” He interrupted himself just in time,” the Queen of Númenor? Or the King?”

For a moment, it looked as if Fíriel would be angry again. Then, unexpectedly, she laughed.

“Are you kidding me? They are the ones who exiled our lord and left the Cave in charge! And they do not care a flying damn for what happens there. As far as they are concerned, we are traitors because we worship gods that do not ask for people to be burned in their honour.”

Gimilzagar winced, shaken by the memory of the last sacrifice he had witnessed months ago. He remembered the stench of the burning flesh, Father’s bloodstained hands reaching for him, and the thoughts, those terrible thoughts that scorched his mind with more intensity than the flames. Once, he had been told that those who refused the sacrifices were evil people who were disloyal to the Sceptre. More recently, he had heard one of the ladies say that those people would have wanted him dead, since it was only because of this that he was alive.

The frustration he had felt in the harbour of Rómenna came back again, multiplied by a tenfold. It was not his fault. That those people died was not his fault, they were barbarians and enemies of Númenor, and he had not asked anyone to save his life as a baby. He had been too dead for that. Still, he did not dare say any of this aloud, for fear of revealing his identity. If he did, he was sure that Fíriel would hate him, and even though they had known each other for such a short time, she was the closest to a friend he had ever had. He did not want to lose her so soon.

“You spoke of your uncle”, he remarked, trying to change the subject. “What of your father?”

“He died before I was born” she replied, her voice suddenly vibrating with pride. “He was a great hero, and died in battle. Did you know that his father was from Harad? He was half-Haradric, and I am part-Haradric as well. That is why my skin is not burned by the sun, and why you should not mess with me.”

Gimilzagar gaped. This had to be some sort of stupid, made-up story, for there was nothing Haradric about this girl. Granted, he had never seen a Haradric woman, only a few prisoners brought to Númenor by his father, but that was not how he imagined their females to be. Could this girl’s grandfather have been one of them, who escaped or somehow managed to win his freedom like Lord Zigûr had done? But that should have been even before Father and Mother took the Sceptre, back when Gimilzagar’s grandfather had been King.

Once more, the smatterings of a strong emotion began to reach him, and he was curious enough to welcome them again. This time, it was not just a feeling, but a confused jumble of thoughts. In the middle of them, he could see an image, a mosaic, he realized, of a dark-skinned man who stood alone in the middle of a circle of Palace Guards who pointed their swords at him.

When he pulled back, his stomach was doing somersaults, and he wondered if he was about to get sick. It served him right, he thought belatedly, for that had been the excuse he had used to give his escort the slip. Perhaps it had not been such a good idea, after all. He had thought he had found a friend, but instead he had met a half-barbarian Baalim-worshipper whose father appeared to have died fighting the King of Númenor’s men.

“I was only joking!” she cried, aghast at what must have been his expression. She let the net and the metal wire fall with a clatter, and walked around the pool with amazing agility to crouch at his side and lay a hand on his shoulder. “Well, my father was part-Haradric, but he was born in Númenor, and I too. And I would never hurt you, Abdazer, I was just trying to scare you off because… well, because the people of Sor are not very nice people. Once, they threw stones at one of my cousins and he had to walk around with half his head bandaged for a month. He had done nothing to them, they just knew that he came from the West. How is that fair?” So that was the fear he had detected earlier. “We only want to be left alone. The city council of Sor does not even let us settle there, but we are happy enough in Rómenna, there is no need to follow us here, is it? I do not know who your father is, but…”

“No one.” Gimilzagar said this so fast that her eyes widened in surprise and confusion. His cheeks reddened. “No one important, I mean. You would not know him.”

She looked askance at him for a while, then shrugged again.

“All I wanted to say is that, if he is part of the city council, perhaps you could tell him this. You seem very nice, Abdazer. Too nice to be…” She blushed, as if realizing that she had put her foot in her mouth. “Let’s be friends, okay?”

“Yes!” he nodded, a little shocked at his own enthusiasm. Moments ago, he had been thinking of how to escape and find the real Lord Abdazer so he could protect him from such strange folk. But this girl had fascinated him since he first saw her, with her sure movements, her blunt words and that adult security which hid terrible wounds. And her scary edges fascinated him too, he had to admit, half-ashamed at himself, perhaps even most of all. “I would like that.”

Fíriel smiled, a dazzling smile that made the sun shine brighter.

“I cannot have you try the crabs, for we cannot cook them here. But perhaps you can try this.” She stood up again, and offered him a hand, which he took hesitantly, marvelling at her strong grip. “Now, hold on to me. Lay your hands in my shoulders if you must, this way you won’t flail around like a giant bird. I will go very, very slow. And by all the Baalim, mind where you put your feet!”

Gimilzagar obeyed as well as he could, though he found it extremely laborious to advance through this treacherous surface, even with her help. At least twice, his foot slipped and he was about to fall, but she managed to steer him in the right direction. Once again, he was impressed by her deceptive strength, for her body was lean and almost as slight of build as that of Gimilzagar himself, and she was a girl.

“Here we are”, she said at last, stopping next to a rocky edge that protruded from one of the ends of this massive natural pathway. The waves broke against it in endless succession, and Gimilzagar stared in awe at their fury. “Stay here.”

Incredulously, he watched as she took out a knife from her pocket –had she been armed all this time?-  and flexed her feet, as if ready to pounce. But instead of pouncing at him, she walked gracefully through the rocky edge, dodging the waves as they came to break against it. The realization that any of those waves would throw her against the ragged stone, and then probably drag her away to a terrible death by drowning horrified him, but there was nothing he could do but watch helplessly as she reached the farthest side, where a part of the reef emerged so high that it was out of the reach of the Sea. There, she seemed to busy herself scraping something off the stone for a while, which she dropped in her pocket before starting her return journey.  Again, Gimilzagar wanted to close his eyes, upset at her danger, but she had a grin in her face, as if she had not even realized that the Sea had been threatening her all along.

“Here!” she said proudly, laying the contents of her pocket at their feet. They were ugly dark shells, Gimilzagar realized, covered in some kind of weed that smelled strongly of salt. While he was still wondering what he was supposed to do with them, she picked one, and stabbed the thinner end with her knife in a very precise way. There was a weird, squelching noise, as a liquid began oozing from a fissure between the two shells. Fíriel pried them open forcefully, revealing a rich, whitish substance that smelt like the Sea.

“This is for you”, she said, already busy prying another one open by using the same system. “It is very good. Look”, she showed him, eating with relish.

Gimilzagar was not very convinced of this, but he did not want to look like a weakling to her again. Eating was something he could do, at least as long as it was not meat. So gathering all his determination, he introduced the shell in his mouth and tried to suck it just as she had done. The taste was powerfully alien, but at the same time somewhat reminiscent of the fish that he loved, and he found that he could swallow it without a problem.

“That is very good”, he nodded. “Thank you, Fíriel.”

The girl beamed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The strange boy left sometime in the afternoon. Fíriel had tried to teach him to harvest crabs and shellfish, and this had commanded his full attention, though the results had not been on par with the interest he showed. If he had to depend on it for a living, he would probably starve long before he managed to make his first catch. As for the other things that men and older boys did in her household, such as tilling the fields or carrying heavy loads, she had never seen anyone so hopelessly unsuited for any of those tasks. He was quite thin, small enough for Fíriel to believe he was younger than her instead of older, as he had turned out to be, and so sickly pale that Eldest Aunt would have wanted to feed him immediately. She could even see the veins through the translucent skin of his hands, at least before it began to acquire a nasty red colour from the burning sun. And whenever he had been required to make the tiniest effort, he panted and shook as if he had just run to Rómenna and back. If those idiots from Sor who had assaulted her cousin had been like him, they wouldn’t even have been able to lift the stone from the ground. Not that Abdazer would have done such a thing –he was too sweet, for one, and though she had told him she was one of the Faithful, he had still kept gazing at her as if she was the most exciting person he had met in his life.

Still, there came a moment when he could no longer ignore the nagging concern that his whole household must be looking for him everywhere, worried that something had happened to him. Once the thought had entered his mind, it festered there, and Fíriel was certain that he could not stop thinking of how deep in trouble he would be once they finally managed to lay hands on him. As it often was the case with rich families, he was an only child, the sole heir to his father’s wealth and the apple of his mother’s eye, but she still wouldn’t want to be in his shoes today. So Fíriel took him back to the surf, where he could walk normally, and promised that she would be there the next day, if he managed to repeat his visit.

As she watched his silhouette, dark against the light sand, grow smaller in the distance and disappear, the girl felt for a moment as she had when she saw her old home recede in the distance for the last time. But this was an odd way to feel about a boy she had just met, and besides she still could get in trouble too, if she did not make up for the time she had lost before the relentless pull of the tide engulfed every rock and pool in the vicinity. So she did her best to put him out of her mind, until she was on her way home with a basket that was only somewhat lighter than usual.

The moment that the cottage came in sight, she noticed that something was amiss. Her whole family was gathered on the makeshift porch, and Eldest Uncle and his oldest son were there as well. Briefly, she pondered if maybe she had been late enough to miss dinner, but they were not sitting companionably or relaxing after a hard day’s work: they were standing, the tension evident in their rigid pose and raised voices. At once, Fíriel knew what this reminded her of, and her worst fears were confirmed when Grandmother saw her and, instead of scolding her for being late, ran towards her and pulled her into an embrace.

“Praised be all the Baalim in the West!” the woman cried, forgetting even that she was putting the basket in a rather precarious position. Fíriel had just enough reflexes to keep its contents from spilling, and safely put it away before she hugged her back. She sought Eldest Uncle’s expression; what she saw there made her stomach plummet further.

“What happened?” she asked. “The priests of the Cave are not allowed to come here, are they?”

Zama sniffled. She was holding her father’s hand, something she always did when she was distressed, and her cheeks were full of dirty smudges, as if she had been crying.

“Nothing you should worry about”, Eldest Uncle replied in a quelling voice. That was very typical of the adults, Fíriel thought, to pretend that nothing had happened when it was obvious that it had. She had memories of Aunt yelling at her to eat her food and stop asking questions, even while she picked up broken shards of pottery from her kitchen and the air was still heavy with the stench of smoke from the neighbouring field.

“Who was here?” she tried to insist, but Grandmother was already ushering her inside, and putting a plate of tepid food before her. There was no smoke that Fíriel could smell, this time, but the telltale shards were on the floor again, and the whole house looked like a mess.

Zebedin was there too, holding a wet cloth against his swollen eye.

“Who did this to you?” she asked. The older boy shrugged bitterly.

“Some bastard in a Palace Guard uniform.” Grandmother gazed at him in a reproachful way, but he ignored her. “It’s a funny story. It appears that the King’s son is staying around here, and he managed to misplace his escort and get in trouble. But hey, why blame those worthy soldiers for their incompetence when there are so many Faithful around these parts? Let’s blame them instead! Perhaps they think we are keeping their precious abomination hidden in a chest at the back of the granary.”

“Stop that talk, Zebedin!” Fíriel had rarely seen Grandmother so angry. “The Prince of the West is not an abomination, and if some of us did not insist on calling him those hateful names, perhaps the King’s men would not have been so ready to point their finger at us!”

“Ha!” Her grandson did not seem intimidated, and if he had really stood up to the Guards, there was no reason why he should be afraid of her now. “As if they needed a reason to blame us for everything!”

“If they ever have solid proof that even one of us means harm to the Prince of the West, they will do much more than just break into our house. You are too young to know how terrible that situation would be, and how great the danger. That is why you should keep quiet and obey your elders until you are old enough to know better!”

The woman was so carried away by the argument that it was only belatedly that she seemed to realize that Fíriel was listening in. Ashamed of herself, she dropped her contentiousness at once and patted the girl’s shoulder vaguely, as if she did not know what to say.

Fíriel’s eyes narrowed. She had not eaten anything since that morning, but she was not hungry at all.

“Did they find the King’s son?”

If her grandmother was surprised at this question, she did not evidence it.

“That was what Tarik just came to tell us. It appears he was found shortly after they came here. Perhaps he got lost.”

“Or perhaps he was bored and wanted to have an adventure and gave his escort the slip. Why would he care for the problems he caused for other people? He is a prince! Everybody else is just there for his amusement!” she retorted, so vehemently that Grandmother could no longer hide her shock.

“That… could well be”, she nodded along, though her eyes had narrowed a little, and she was looking at Fíriel in a curious way. If she wanted to ask her something, however, she seemed to decide against it. Instead, she pushed a stray lock of hair away from the girl’s forehead, hiding her uneasiness and worry behind a smile. “Eat, my dear. You must be very hungry, even if your stomach does not remember. But sooner or later, it will.”

Reluctantly, and unable to keep her mind from twisting and turning in a hundred directions, Fíriel forced herself to take a bite.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The following day, the most rational part of Fíriel did not expect him to be back, for she could not figure out how he would manage to brave the vigilance of his escort a second time, even if he wanted to. But as she was hopping across the rocky path, searching for a suitable pool, she heard his voice calling her name from the surf. Her heart gave a jump, and for a moment she pondered the idea of simply not turning back and pretending not to hear him until he left.

In the end, after making an exaggerated show of examining the holes in the pool, Fíriel could not prevent herself from stealing a peek from the corner of her eye, at the place where the tiny silhouette of the false Abdazer, pretend son of a merchant of Sor who did not exist, waved both arms at her. To her surprise, she saw him climb the first rock, then cautiously struggle to his feet and give a first, hesitant step, his arms flapping wildly at his sides in an attempt to keep his balance. Unable to sit still for any longer, she stood up angrily to rescue him before he could bash his face against the stone and have all the Faithful in Rómenna blamed for it. That was probably what he was used to, she thought, to pressure others so he could have his will in all things.

It was all she could do to hide her fury, as she took his hand and slowly steered him through the uneven, slippery terrain. When they finally reached a flatter area and she let go of him, her mind was busy crafting a plan to turn the tables on him. He needed to learn that she was not as stupid as he thought.

“I have been thinking, Abdazer”, she said, with a simpering smile that did not reach her eyes. “Your family has a house in Sor, where exactly is it?”

His eyes widened in slight surprise, but he recovered soon.

“It is by the Eastern side of the harbour. With a great tower, you can see the Warrior from there.”

He seemed to have spent some time elaborating on his lies from yesterday, she thought. And to think she had been afraid that he would be in trouble.

“A tower! How wonderful! I have always dreamed of seeing the view of the big city from one of them. Will you take me there?”

This succeeded in making a somewhat larger dent in his composure. He hesitated for a moment.

“Would your family let you do that?” His brow furrowed, as in furious thought. “I thought that your… people are not allowed in there.”

“I have no parents, and no one would have to know who I am”, she smiled sweetly. “Come to think of it, you are staying in a villa nearby, aren’t you? You could introduce me to your family, and we could pretend I am a girl from the city who comes to the beach with her servant. I will convince one of my cousins to be the servant. We could also change my name, that should be the easiest thing to do. We only have to make up something off the top of our head, and poof! I will be a different person.”

“I do not know…” he began, half-doubtful, half-alarmed. “You could be discovered.”

“And is your father… what was his name, by the way?”

“Eshmounazer”, he replied, so fast that she was sure he had been purposefully making up a new life for himself. For a moment, a part of her wondered what could be so wrong about his real life that he was so eager to invent another. Abomination, they had called him, but she could not have been feeling less inclined towards pity right now.

“Yes, that was it”, she nodded, even though she had never heard the name mentioned before. “Would your father Eshmounazer mind very much if someone like me walked into his lofty house?”

“I am here with my mother”, he replied. “But what does all this matter? I want to be with you. I- I thought you wanted to be with me, too. You said that we were friends, but now you are angry and asking all these questions and I do not even know why!”

His pitiful expression finally achieved the dubious feat of forcing her to drop her pretence. It was too much.

“When I said that, I did not know who you really were! You lied to me and put my family in danger and I do not want to be your friend any longer!” The words were leaving her mouth in a rapid, burning torrent that she could not hold back or control. Her father’s barbarian spirit, a part of her belatedly thought, reckless to the bitter end. “And I do not care if you are just a spoiled merchant’s son or the Prince Gimilzagar, the most spoiled boy in the West!”

Abdazer –Gimilzagar, she had to remind herself- went pale, which was quite a feat, considering how white the skin of his face already was. His hands began to tremble, and his lips moved as if to utter words, but he could not manage to say anything coherent.

“I… I did not… I am not… h-how did you….?”

“They came looking for you and hurt my cousin. Since you left without telling them where you were going they just assumed we evil traitors had kidnapped you.” It certainly seemed news to him, she thought, as she saw how his dark eyes looked about to pop from their sockets. But it did not matter if he had been aware of it or not. “Now I wish I had broken your teeth, at least.”

He seemed to regain some of his composure at this concrete threat.

“That is a very nasty thing to say.”

“You don’t even know what that word really means,” she spat. “Now, go away and leave me alone. Unlike you, I have work to do.”

If she had harboured any remaining doubts about his true identity, Gimilzagar’s attitude now dispelled them all. Standing straight in his full, unimpressive height, he glared at her.

“You cannot tell me to go away. We are in Númenor, and everything in it belongs to my father and my mother, and to me because I am their heir. You should go away.”

The sound of the rolling waves became a loud roar, pressing against Fíriel’s ears. Her hands clenched against the net until they were almost as white as his.

Go away. Yes, that was what she had been doing for the past years, going away, leaving place after place at the whim of the Sceptre and its evil minions. She could not go back to the land of her birth because of the priests, she could not set foot in Sor without breaking the edict issued by the city council, and now, she could not catch crabs on those rocks because a spoiled brat had wanted to play there.

“Very well” she said, gathering her things and letting her lips curve in a mean smile. “I shall leave the noble heir to the Sceptre to inspect his dominions. I hope he can find his way back on his own, because the tide will cover them soon.”

Without further ado, Fíriel hopped away, following the familiar path back to the beach. But the wild satisfaction she got from ignoring his increasingly frantic cries for help was as glorious as it was short-lived. Soon enough, she found herself looking back in some concern, and what she saw alarmed her even more.

The Prince was panicking. Though he had whole hours to humiliatingly crawl back to safety, he was acting as if his drowning was imminent, trying to take the same route as she had though he still did not know how to walk on rocks to save his life. To her surprise, he managed to achieve a complete step without falling, but his foot slipped at the second, and she almost cried out. Fortunately, he had enough reflexes to bend his knee and put a hand before his face to cushion the impact, though the edges in the rock must have broken his skin and caused him to bleed. His panic was now absolute, and even from the distance, she could see his whole body shake.

Fíriel took a sharp breath, dropping her things to run back where she had left him. She could not let him get hurt. What had she been thinking? If something happened to the Prince Gimilzagar, terrible things would befall her and her family. Even if she should flee, they would come for them merely because they lived in the area. Just the mere thought was able to set her on a rage again. Why did he have to be so helpless?

Upon reaching him, however, her anger abated a little when she realized that he was crying. A skinny knee was protruding from a tear in his breeches, and there was blood flowing from it and from his elbow, though it did not look serious enough to warrant such a reaction. The gist of it appeared to be fear, of being left alone to die or whatever story his mind must have concocted in the meantime.

“I am here”, she said, out of some instinct that suddenly came over her. Kneeling next to him, she pulled him into an embrace; the jerks of his shaking body felt scary against her chest, but she did not let go. “I am here now. Shhh.”

Slowly, she felt the movement subside. The tear-streaked face rose to meet hers, and when it did, she swallowed at the look in his eyes.

“I th-thought you w-were g-gone” he whispered in a hoarse voice. “Th-that I w-would h-have a f-fit and d-die. I h-had them all the t-time when I was y-younger.”

Fíriel’s cheeks reddened.

“I am sorry. I was angry, but I would never have let you die. I am sorry”, she repeated, lamely. To her dismay, he began to cry again.

“No, I am sorry! I sh-should not have lied to you, and I d-didn’t know anyone would be h-hurt!”

So he did know how to apologize, she thought, as the last of her righteous anger fled her chest, leaving a turmoil of confused feelings in its wake. She already missed her clarity of purpose from moments earlier.

“Fine. I forgive you.”

“Do you still want to be my friend?” he asked hopefully. As if it was so easy, she sighed. The crushing weight of the knowledge of who they were, and the gaping divide that stood between them, fell upon her now, without any petty emotions and resentments to cushion the impact. She opened her mouth to say something, but the feeling was so overwhelming that she closed it again.

“Yes”, she nodded at last. He beamed, and it struck her how much better he looked now than he had moments ago. “Now, this may hurt a little, but I should put some water on your wounds so they won’t get infected, okay?” Prince Gimilzagar nodded tremulously. “And then we will go back very, very slowly. I promise I will not let you go.”

To his credit, he did not cry again, and once he had cleaned his face in a thorough way he looked quite presentable, if one did not notice the tearing in his expensive clothes. But that was alright, because he had more, he assured her, in what was probably the understatement of the year.

As soon as he claimed to be ready, she helped him up and they began their laborious way back, he holding on to her with such a tight grip that she had to grit her teeth not to cry out. Her stoicism, however, deserted her the moment she set eyes on the beach.

Three women, dressed in the fancier clothes that Fíriel had ever seen –even fancier than Lady Lalwendë’s clothes, which were all silk- were standing on the surf, looking at them with very forbidding stares. And what was much, much worse: behind them, she could count five Palace Guards standing in formation.

For a moment, Fíriel was about to let go of Gimilzagar. Fear gathered rapidly in her innards, threatening to choke her until she could feel the rancid taste of vomit in her mouth.

“Who are they?” she hissed. The Prince tensed against her.

“She is Milkhaset, the Royal Nurse. And she is with Lord Abdazer of the Palace Guard. They must have followed me here!”

Fíriel’s mind raced. If she dropped him now, they would have to rescue him first, and they were unfamiliar with this treacherous terrain. She could run towards places where they could not easily follow, maybe to the other side of the rocks, which did not break off so abruptly, and then jump into the Sea. Heavily armoured as they were, they would not be able to come after her.

I promise I will not let you go, she had said, just a moment before. And though only an idiot would feel obligated to fulfil a promise in these circumstances, somehow, Fíriel could not let him fall.

The last steps through the rocks were agonizing, almost as if she was a lamb being led to the slaughterhouse, except that she was walking towards it herself. She still harboured the remote hope of somehow managing to elude them by leaving Gimilzagar the closest to the surf as possible and then retreating, but they did not wait that much. Before she had stepped away from the rocks, two Guards were already on them. The first of them took Gimilzagar away, while the second grabbed her by the front of her clothes and dragged her towards the sand. There, he threw her flat on her face, twisting her arms backwards. Two of his companions flanked him, and their rough hands roamed over her body until they found her knife.

“Let me go!” she shouted, struggling fiercely though she knew it was to no avail. Other voices were shouting around her, too, a man barking orders, and Gimilzagar yelling to the top of his lungs. One of her kicks connected against something, but then it was worse because they twisted harder, and the pain became so intense that she didn’t even have the strength to move. Tears started falling down her cheeks.

“Did she do this to you, my lord prince?” a woman’s voice asked, but she didn’t even wait to hear the answer. “Oh, praised be the Great Deliverer that we arrived in time! Did, or did I not warn you that this area…!”

“Let her go right now! You are hurting her!” Gimilzagar shouted. “She was not doing anything to me!”

“She had a knife, my lord prince” the man who had been barking orders said in a cold, scary voice. Fíriel was not able to move her body an inch without the pain increasing even more, but she found a way to twist her neck in a way that she could catch a glimpse of what was happening closest to her. The boy was angry, far angrier than she had seen him when they had their previous fight. He had pushed away both of the women who had begun fawning over him, and now he stood facing the head guard, his hands balled into fists. Though the man was easily more than twice his size, and twice his width, he was not intimidated.

“A knife for harvesting shellfish, you fool! I… I command you to let her go!”

“My lord prince, that is very poor behaviour!” the oldest of the women, the one who had spoken before, scolded him in a scandalized voice. “We are only looking after your safety!”

“Are you?” He bit his lip, retreating when she tried to approach him again, but Fíriel did not know if she had managed to lay hands on him or not, because the muscles in her neck had grown too strained, and she had to look down again. “Then you will let her go, or Mother will be very upset to hear that I fell down and had a fit, and the only person who was there to save me was this girl that you are mistreating. You could even lose your position!”

It still took a while, but finally Fíriel heard another of those barking exchanges, and the pressure disappeared. What a spoiled brat, she thought in amazement, as she clenched her teeth and tried to struggle gingerly into a sitting position. But he was on her side, and that was all that mattered.

“Are you all right?” he asked, rushing to her side to help her. To her surprise, he did not look smug, but shocked, as if a part of him could not believe what he had just done.

Fíriel swallowed. She had to think very carefully of what to say, of how to react in her current situation. She wanted to be angry at the ladies and at the guards, and tell them exactly what she thought of them, but she was still in pain, bruised and out of breath, and she knew that she could not push her luck. She wanted to tell Gimilzagar that it was not his fault, perhaps thank him, but she was not sure if they would tolerate that either. She wanted to pick up her bucket, her net and her tools, which she had left behind her, and above all, she wanted her knife back, for it was the most valuable item that she carried. But if she made the slightest attempt to retrieve it, the Guard would be on top of her again, and she was not sure if even Gimilzagar could save her a second time.

If they ever have solid proof that even one of us means harm to the Prince of the West, they will do much more than just break into our house.

In the end, she stood up, eyeing the adults warily, and slowly stepped away from the vicinity of the armed men. Her mind calculated an escape path that would take her past the women, whose ladylike dresses had not been designed for running. Once that she was standing right where she wanted, she bowed low before Gimilzagar.

“I am very honoured to have made your acquaintance, my lord prince”, she said, in a fancy accent that she had picked up from Lady Lalwendë and her women. “Though I wish you had not felt it necessary to hide your true identity. My family has always been loyal to the Sceptre, and so am I.”

And then, before the boy could even manage to utter a word of reply, she rolled her skirt over her knees, and ran away as fast as she could.

 

The End of the Summer

Read The End of the Summer

Gimilzagar had never imagined, not even in his wildest dreams, that having his way would be so easy. For all his life, he had been using his various illnesses to excite pity and wheedle concessions from those who were tasked to look after him, but he had never stood up to them. The Royal Nurse’s displeasure had scared him above all; she had a very stern frown, and she used it to size him up in a way that made him feel as if he was very small, whenever he fell short of her expectations for his behaviour. Her worst threat, which she reserved for his most rebellious moments, was that she would tell Mother everything, and then she would be very displeased with him.

As it turned out, however, the threat he had always feared and the frown he had cowered from were as empty as Fíriel’s bucket when, grudgingly, Abdazer sent one of his men to retrieve her things. Mother was not only not displeased with him, she was most displeased with the Royal Nurse and all the others. With a sort of trepidation which was not entirely unpleasant, Gimilzagar watched as her eyes narrowed in anger and she blamed both Lady Milkhaset and Lord Abdazer for misreading the situation and not obeying his orders at once. However they may feel about it, she informed them, Gimilzagar had chosen this girl as his friend, which meant that she could accompany him anywhere he wished, and they would have to go and present their heartfelt apologies to her for their appalling behaviour. Abdazer remained silent through all this, but the woman tried to protest, reminding the Queen that this girl’s family were settlers from the Andustar, of those who felt little love for the Sceptre and even less for the Prince of the West, whom they believed should have died long ago. Gimilzagar felt troubled at this, remembering Fíriel’s words about gods who did not require people to be burned in their honour. And still, he told himself, she had not wanted him dead, even after she knew his true identity. She came back for him, and she did not let him go.

Ar Zimraphel’s gaze focused on him, as if she was reading his thoughts. Her eyes were grave, full of an emotion which Gimilzagar could not identify, though he was certain that she was not angry at him.

“I trust my son’s judgement above yours”, she said, turning towards the Royal Nurse again. “Someone who is destined to rule over people should not be ruled by the whims of a foolish old woman.”

Lady Milkhaset flinched a little at this, but she did a good job of hiding her discontent behind a dutiful expression that seemed to have been set in stone, like the statues of Sor. Gimilzagar swallowed deeply, the bad kind of trepidation getting hold of him once more. She was angry, very angry, and he could feel it with an intensity that almost tore him apart. What would she do once he was alone with her again?

Have you learned nothing? She is the one who should be afraid of you, my son.

Gimilzagar swallowed. He had just learned that he did not need to be afraid of her, but it was such a novel concept that it would take time to sink in. The idea that the world was upside down and that he was the one who inspired fear on others was still too unthinkable, too remote. He tried to imagine himself frowning at the Royal Nurse and sizing her up as if she was small, but it was a ludicrous, embarrassing scene, like something out of a child’s fantasy. Mother was different: she was the Queen of Númenor, wise and powerful, and everyone cowered before her. Even Father, who had conquered the whole world and was the scariest person that Gimilzagar could picture, conceded to her when they did not agree on something. He felt safe if she stood by his side, supporting him, but he was not brave enough to stand on his own.

But you were brave enough, my son. I was not down by the beach while Fíriel was being held by the Guards.

“That… that was an impulse, Mother. I could not even think”, he argued. As always, the others could not hide their awe when they heard him answer to words which had not been spoken aloud. Ar Zimraphel smiled.

“And now? Can you think?” she asked. “And if so, do you want to see her again?”

Gimilzagar’s cheeks grew a little red.

“Yes”, he replied quickly, then frowned as he came upon a thought which had not occurred to him before either. “B-but I do not want them to be there. I do not want them to apologize to her. If she sees them, she will never, ever want to come near me again. If my security is so important, could they remain hidden? I will try to explain everything!”

“A wise course of action.” Did Mother truly think that everything he said was praiseworthy? Or was she just trying to boost his spirits to make him brave? “You will find your friend again, and you will explain to her that these people are your entourage and must follow you everywhere, but that you have ordered them to remain at a distance and they will never move a finger without your permission. That what happened today was an unfortunate mistake, which will not be repeated.” She spoke to him, but her eyes were fixed on the Nurse and the Guard, who bowed even lower if such a thing was possible. “Because if it is, the consequences will be very dire.”

Gimilzagar could clearly perceive that she was very serious about this, and so did they, even without his special abilities. Confident that they would never dare break the rules, he asked Mother for permission to go to the beach again. She smiled vaguely.

“You will find nothing there now, my dear. But trust me, and you will see her.”

He nodded. Since he was little, he was aware that everything his mother saw with the eyes of her mind was true, and that it was no use to surrender to frustration or impatience over it. Besides, even without her foresight, perhaps he should have figured out by himself that Fíriel would be too scared to set foot on the beach for a while. If he ever was to become the wise ruler Mother wanted him to be, he had to learn to pay attention to such things.

Later in the aftenoon, however, as the sun was already starting to sink behind the hills, Ar Zimraphel paused the book she was reading to him to nod in silence, and he understood.

She had to go back for her things. Though she did not even know if they were still there, she had to try, for she had no others. Back when she was released and struggled to her feet, she had been torn between the urge to run to safety and the need to retrieve the knife, the net and the rest. Now, she had to be aware that the tide would turn soon, and the water would swallow everything which had been left on those rocks and in the surf. It was probably already dangerous to step on those treacherous surfaces, but Fíriel did not fear the Sea, for it was like an old friend to her. She would choose to brave its might a hundred times before she risked being caught by the Guards again.

Though this time he was leaving the villa with permission, Gimilzagar could not help feeling nervous as he was escorted down the lane that led to the vicinity of the beach. He did his best to be fast, even though his legs were not used to those exertions and complained bitterly. Still, by the time they arrived, it was almost night, and a faint, rosy light diffused across the horizon was the sole guide to his footsteps.

“Stay here”, he said, trying to imitate Mother’s tone to make it sound more like an order. Perhaps it worked, or perhaps they were too busy thinking of Gimilzagar’s real mother and what she had said back then to gainsay him, but the fact was that they remained behind. Alone, he felt less nervous, though his heart still gave a leap when he saw a shadow moving across the half-engulfed path of the rocks.

“Fíriel!” he called at the top of his voice, running towards the surf. The shadow did not stop.

“Fíriel!” he repeated, and he waved at her with the bucket in his hand. “I came to return your things!”

Gimilzagar reached the edge of the waters. There, he realized that the girl was standing on top of an isolated rock by the end of the reef, which had been surrounded by the strong current of the growing tide. He had seen her carry herself with such skill that he had not thought that anything could happen to her, but now he was suddenly afraid. If she was in trouble, there was nothing he could do about it. And then, the thought dawned in his mind, would he have to call Abdazer to rescue her? Perhaps she would rather drown, but how was he expected to accept such a thing?

“Who is with you?” she shouted from her precarious position, and his train of thought died abruptly as he realized that the reason why she was there was that she was fleeing from their presence.

“No one!” he shouted back. “There is no one, I promise!”

But Fíriel still did not move. It was obvious that she did not believe him.

“Fíriel, please!” Another wave broke against the rock, and the salt water sprayed her clothes. “If you stay there you will drown!”

At last, this seemed to wring an emotion from the girl. Her body was suddenly racked by laughter, and she pulled her dress off through the hole in the head. Gimilzagar’s eyes widened, wondering if she was naked or had something else underneath, for the light was not bright enough to tell. With amazing dexterity, she tied the cloth over her forehead, like some kind of turban, and leaped into the Sea. A few strokes later, she had already set foot on the surf, but did not advance towards him until she had scrutinized the space around him and felt satisfied that he was telling the truth. Then, and only then, she pulled her clothes away from her head, and put them on again as she followed the direction of the waves that died at his feet. Her movements were so fast that he could not tell even now whether she had been naked or not.

“You could have left them here instead of taking them with you!” she spat angrily. He extended the hand that held her instruments towards her as a peace offering, but she grabbed them and jumped backwards as if his very touch could burn her.

Gimilzagar scowled.

“Are you one of those Baalim-worshippers who hate me, then?”

Fíriel’s eyes widened. For a moment, he thought he saw fear staring back at him from those orbs, only that it was not fear, but anger, and finally it became something less fiery – could it be sadness?

“I do not hate you”, she said, and it seemed as if she was talking to a child much younger than herself. “But I cannot be your friend. The people around you will not like it, and I will be in danger, and my family too. Why don’t you… find a friend in the Palace? Or at least in Sor!”

The strange pride, which he had felt coursing through his veins when he stood up to the Royal Nurse, was back at those words. And then he knew it: it was not his own daring or even his mother’s support, but Fíriel herself, who had made him feel like this. No one, either in Sor or in the Palace of Armenelos, had had this effect on him before.

“The people around me will like it, if they know what is good for them. They made a mistake before, but they will not repeat it. Mother was furious: she wanted them to apologize to you, but I told her that you would not appreciate them getting near you again.”

Her mouth fell open at those words, as if her jaw had somehow given way. It looked so comical that Gimilzagar was about to laugh, but luckily he prevented himself in time.

“The… the Queen of Númenor, you mean? She knows?

“She knows and she does not mind. I swear it to you by… well, by whatever you swear things by,” he insisted, desperate for her to believe him. “My escort will remain around because they are needed for my security, but they will not come close and they will obey all my orders, all the time, so you have nothing to fear.” He had a sudden idea. “You could even come home with me, if you want, and meet Mother, so she can confirm it.”

Big mistake, he thought ruefully, when he saw her features become veiled again, and she retreated several steps into the darkness.

“It’s getting late. Grandmother must be worried.”

“Fine! You do not have to come with me. But we can still meet here. We can do things together”, he pleaded. She shook his head.

“I have things to do.”

“Catch stupid crabs?” he snorted, exasperated. “We can buy them at the market! Ten times as many, if you want!”

“Why don’t you just buy me, then, like the merchants of Sor buy their slaves off the harbour?” she shrugged, her voice strangely expressionless. “Though on second thought, I don’t think queens and princes have to pay for anything. Everything is already yours, isn’t it?”

Her pace was so fast that Gimilzagar could not follow her, and it was not long since he lost her in the darkness. For a small fraction of a second of unbelievable frustration, he was about to call Abdazer and tell him to bring her back, but his voice died in his throat under a renewed onslaught of burning shame.

Everything is already yours, isn’t it?

It was not, he thought, sitting on the humid sand and shaking as the night breeze blew over his face. It was really not.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As chance would have it, however, the choice he had made that evening on the beach proved the correct one. For the next day, Fíriel was back, and the day after that, and the cautious politeness with which they tried to act as if nothing had happened soon evolved into a comfortable closeness, as she decided that he had no intention of taking her anywhere, or of preventing her from leaving when she wanted to. Still, he could not help but notice that there was something, a sense of freedom and infinite possibility which he had felt by her side on the very first day they met, that seemed irrevocably gone from their exchanges. He felt bad for missing it, for, after all, it had been part of a lie he had crafted. She did not hate him, despite being an Elf-friend and a Baalim-worshipper, but she would not drop her guard entirely around him ever again.

“What do you think?” she snorted, once he tried to press her about this. “Are you aware of those soldiers watching us?”

“Forget about them! They do not matter”, he shrugged, but she did not share his nonchalance.

You can forget about them. All I can think about is that if I hit you now for being a clueless idiot, they will kill me.”

He stared at her, hurt.

“And why would you want to do that? I’m- I’m not a clueless idiot, I just wanted you to know that…”

She rolled her eyes.

“I do not want to hit you! The point is, how can I forget about them if I can’t hit you? Even if I don’t want to!”

Gimilzagar pondered this. He could not quite make sense of it, but he did not say as much. He was determined to be conciliating.

“Anyway, I will not be coming tomorrow.”

“Why?” he asked, alarmed. He must have upset her in spite of all.

“Grandmother is taking me to the lord of Andúnië’s house on a visit” she explained with a smile, ignoring his turmoil. Underneath it, for a moment, Gimilzagar saw pride. “As you can see, you are not my only powerful friend.”

The lord of Andúnië. Exiled from the Andustar when Gimilzagar had been too young to remember, the information came to him as he racked his brains to locate the name. Leader of the Elf-friends, who were Fíriel’s people. Still, he could not help but feel a little surprised: from how she spoke of them, and of her life with them, her family had not struck him as the sort to be personally acquainted with a lord, exiled or not. Perhaps their ways were not the same as those of normal people, he thought. He had heard that Elves had very strange customs, and that their followers in the Island copied them in everything, trying to imitate them though they were as mortal as the rest of the Númenóreans.

“My family has had powerful ties with the house of Andúnië ever since Lord Amandil brought my grandfather to Númenor as a boy”, she explained, as if guessing his thoughts. “And my father fought alongside his grandson in many battles.”

“I see”, Gimilzagar nodded, though he was not certain that he did. To be brought to Númenor from the mainland meant almost certain death as far as he knew, whether on behalf of the King or on behalf of whatever wealthy noble or merchant decided to spend his coin in buying lives to sacrifice. From what he had heard, he was aware that some of them survived and were sold as slaves, but most of those were in the colonies, where free peasants were scarce. The only one he knew to have won his freedom was Lord Zigûr, but that was a different story.

Then again, the Elf-friends could be a different story as well. And in any case, if Fíriel’s grandfather had perished upon the Great Deliverer’s altar, she would not be there now, guiding his hand until he was able to catch the crab with the net. Just as Gimilzagar himself would not be learning from her, if his people had not died there.

The devastating realization of what truly set them apart fell on him like a powerful bolt of lightning. He had to pretend to be busy for a long while, unwilling to look at her just in case she could read his thoughts.

“They have always watched over us, and they like to invite me at least once a week to their house up the cliff”, she continued, apparently unable to perceive what was wrong with him. He nodded, too overwhelmed to speak.

“What is it? You are surprised?” she asked, a hint of defiance in her voice now. Gimilzagar should be thankful that she was too busy with her own assumptions to dig any deeper, but instead he felt as if he had successfully managed to hide a painful scrape from the eyes of the adults: he had not been scolded for it, but it still hurt.

“Have fun, then” he said, swallowing hard. “I will catch all your crabs for you.”

Her gaze narrowed, and she studied him for what seemed like a very long time. Finally, she shrugged and looked away.

“If you have them brought from the market and claim that you caught them, I will know.”

Gimilzagar forced himself to smile.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

She had managed to impress him with her mention to the lord of Andúnië, at least to an extent. This was reassuring news, for it proved her theory that the name still carried some weight in Armenelos. Though he did not brag of it, and even claimed that it would not make things any better, Fíriel had heard the other day that the King had summoned the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay to the Palace because of his petition. She trusted Gimilzagar: he was sweet and did not mean her any harm, but he was a little too sure that the adults around him would not dare move a finger against his wishes. As spoiled as he might be, Fíriel was not willing to bet her life and that of her family on this conviction, especially knowing that the Queen was also there, looking over her precious son’s shoulder. But if they knew that she was under the protection of someone important, they would no longer see her as a mere Faithful peasant. And perhaps, that would make them think twice before taking action.

Only as she was crossing the gates of the Lord’s house, holding Grandmother’s hand, it struck her that perhaps she should have asked his permission before putting him in that position. They never said those things to her, but she still managed to hear many snippets of adult conversations which they thought she was too young to understand. From them, she had gathered that he was often angry at the Faithful who got themselves in trouble and expected him to rescue them. Fíriel had not got herself in trouble: trouble had found her in the shape of a very persistent spoiled brat, whom she could not bring herself to hate no matter how hard she tried, but she wondered if that distinction would matter much. Trouble was trouble, after all, wherever it came from.

“Grandmother”, she asked, before they were ushered in to Lady Lalwendë’s quarters. “Do you think that Lord Amandil would… let bad things happen to us?”

The woman frowned.

“Bad things? What bad things, my dear?” Fíriel knew that piercing glance, and she also knew that she had been acting very suspiciously for days. The night she arrived all wet and with an empty bucket, she had claimed that some stupid kids from the city had stolen her shellfish and pushed her into the water. Though she even had an ugly bruise to prove it, she was aware that Grandmother had realized the weak point of the story: those stupid kids would no doubt have taken her things with them, not merely the crabs. But the old woman had pretended to believe her, healed and fed her, and Fíriel had been left with the unpleasant sensation that she was waiting for her to tell the truth on her own initiative.

“I don’t know”, she mumbled, growing red to the root of her hair. “Just… bad things.”

“Fíriel, the lord of Andúnië would do anything to protect us if we were in any kind of serious trouble.”

Grandmother looked disappointed as she spoke those words, perhaps even worried. Fíriel looked down, suddenly too ashamed to face her. After all, she thought, she might be putting her in danger, too. She had never led Gimilzagar or his escort to their home –though the Prince had asked her, claiming that he wanted to see for himself where she lived- but it was not exactly difficult to find out where it was. If she simply did not show up, she knew that Gimilzagar would not stop until he found her again. And if she told her family about him, they would panic and want to leave that place never to return, but where could they go now? They had found a second home here, after much toil and hardship, it was unthinkable that they could lose everything again because of her.

Still, Grandmother’s words had given her an idea, if only she could find the courage to put it in practice. When tea was served, she was so nervous that she was not even hungry, though she always fell upon the platters of sweetmeats as if she had not eaten for days. This caused Lalwendë to fuss over her –sometimes, the lady acted more like a grandmother than her real grandmother-, but once that Fíriel managed to swallow a few cakes without getting nauseous, she seemed ready to take her behaviour for restlessness and informed her that she could go out and play. The girl did not need to be told twice.

As soon as she was out of their sight, she began searching the house. Usually, she tried to keep away from people who could scold her or send her back with Grandmother, and since she happened to meet that priest, she had added that to the list of reasons to remain inconspicuous. But today, running into people could not be avoided. When she heard the sound of a conversation, she rushed towards it and asked for directions with an unshaken voice, taking her cue from the way Gimilzagar had spoken to his servants. She could play the high lady just as well, she thought, paying no heed to their shocked looks.

Still, not even this would have been enough to gain access to him, if he had not been alerted by the sounds of argument on his doorstep and came in person to inquire about the cause. He was holding a sword in his hand, a real one, she realized, forcing herself not to show fear and stand her ground. But as soon as he saw her, his eyes widened and that made him look a little less alarming.

“What are you doing here?” he asked. Fíriel remembered herself enough to bow.

“I… was wondering if I could speak a word to you in private, my lord”, she said, swallowing only once. The servant who had wanted to stop her shook his head indulgently.

“I tried to tell her that you would see no one, but…”

“Come in”, Isildur said, his gaze showing sudden vestiges of a strong emotion that she could not read. With a last, triumphant look at the other man, she followed him inside.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“What…. how…?” He seemed strangely out of sorts, for a man who looked so frightening while holding his sword that Fíriel herself would have run away if her need had not been so great. “What do you want?” was what he settled for at last.

She had followed him until they reached what looked like a backyard, smaller than the one where she had seen the White Tree, but entirely devoid of vegetation. It was all a white-paved empty space, where her footsteps gave off an impressive echo.

“Your help”, she declared, determined not to beat around the bush. He stopped in his tracks, and turned to face her again. Now that she was staring at him from so up close, he seemed even taller and bigger than before; belatedly, she noticed that the hand that held the sword was crisscrossed by a whitish scar. He had not been afraid to fight Palace Guards in the past.

“And why would you come to me?” he asked, with a frown. Fíriel took a deep breath to gather her courage.

“Because you have a debt towards my father, my lord. Lord Númendil told me.”

His eyes widened again, not in anger, but rather in disbelief. For a moment, she thought that he was going to challenge her words, perhaps tell her that he did not recognize any such debt. In the end, he just nodded gravely.

“Tell me.”

Encouraged, Fíriel gave him a summary of what had happened to her in the last days: her encounter with Gimilzagar, how she had discovered his identity, her run-in with the Palace Guards of his escort and their later deal. She mentioned how her family had been attacked and Zebedin had got hurt, and how she feared for them even though the Prince claimed that his mother did not mind him befriending one of the Faithful. As her tale progressed, she noticed that his frown grew stormier and stormier.

“Would you be able to protect us? Just in case that… the Queen, or someone around her, suddenly decides that we are trying to harm her son, or that he would be better off if we were out of the way?”

He sheathed his sword in its scabbard, and put it aside in silence. Fíriel waited impatiently, until he came back to her.

“First, there is something that you must be aware of”, he spoke at last. “Nobody in this house, no matter how well-disposed they might feel towards your family and yourself, will agree to stand in the way of a Palace Guard sent by the Queen of Númenor. What you are asking is treason, and the Lord of Andúnië will not commit treason, no matter how many people suffer or die before his eyes.”

The girl’s spirit sank. Disappointed, she stared at her feet as the implications of his words became clear. No one would help her, because no one wanted to take that risk.

“But the Lord of Andúnië’s loyalty to the Sceptre is not the only loyalty that exists”, he continued after a while. His voice was lowered, and yet she could detect the emotion from before simmering underneath. “What you came to tell me, Fíriel, is the one thing I promised I would never allow to happen. Now, it is happening and you decided, of your own free will, to come to me, and not to my grandfather, my father or anyone else. I can recognize the signs.” She opened her mouth to ask a question, but he turned away from her and began pacing around the room, as if prey to a great excitement. “Rómenna is teeming with our people, who were forced to leave their homes through violence. And the Sceptre thinks so little of us that the Queen herself and her spawn have come to spend some time at the seaside near us, with only a few Guards for protection. If we stopped twiddling our thumbs and took action, we could bring Ar Pharazôn to his knees now. If the Prince of the West threatens you or your family…”

“He is not…” Fíriel began, but he didn’t even seem to be hearing her anymore.

“…it could be the start of a revolt. The Queen is not our friend, and she has long rejected the loyalty that we owed her from Tar Palantir’s succession decree. But she is still the rightful ruler of Númenor for many, and if we have her son, she would be forced to support us. Then, we could take ship for Arne, where most of the population remains loyal to us.”

Fíriel’s face had gone pale. Though she did not understand everything that he was saying, what she was able to gather gave her the shivers. All of a sudden, she wanted to be very, very far away from here. She should never have come.

“I… I did not mean…” she blabbered, but she did not know how to finish the sentence. She changed tack. “Gimilzagar is my friend. I did not mean for you to hurt him.”

Isildur looked at her in incredulity.

“It is because of him that you are in this situation!”

“But he didn’t mean it!” she replied, more passionately than she would have believed possible. “He is a bit spoiled but he is kind a- and sweet!”

“Kind?” He laughed, a hollow laughter with no trace of amusement in it. “Do you know why they call him an abomination? “She shook her head, both because she did not know and because she did not want to know, but he seemed to latch onto the first meaning alone. “He was born dead. Sauron keeps him alive by feeding Melkor’s foul altar fires with the blood of Men. Do you know how many people have died so he could live? And do you know what would happen to him if the sacrifices were to stop?”

Fíriel did not know where she found the energy to confront this man. Perhaps she had it from her memories of the boy who had caught crabs with her on the seaside, who was not an abomination and who had smiled, cried and bled like any other boy who just happened to be a prince. Or perhaps it came from her grandmother’s firm voice, when she scolded Zebedin for parroting those superstitions and putting their people in danger.

“That is not true!” she shouted. At long last, she seemed to have given him some pause, because he stopped pacing and she detected some surprise in his grey eyes. “I came to you for help, my lord, but that is not the kind of help I need. So I do not want it anymore. I will protect myself!”

The surprise turned into disbelief. He opened his mouth and closed it several times, and it took her all her bravery to stand firm and await the explosion.

“I cannot allow that”, he hissed. “I will not stand idle while you face him alone. Your father would never forgive me!”

“You did not even know this was happening before I came here.” She had not intended it to sound as an accusation, but after it left her mouth she realized that it could be understood as such. “Could we… just pretend that we never spoke? Please?”

He frowned.

“That is not how it works, Fíriel.”

Frustrated, she crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him. Why did everyone have to make things so difficult?  This man was much older, taller and stronger than Gimilzagar, but just as unwilling to listen to her and understand what she truly wanted to tell them.

“I do not want you to harm Gimilzagar. If you can protect my family without hurting him or kidnapping him or- or threatening him or anything like that, I will be very thankful, my lord. If not, I will have to protect him myself, and you will have to fight me, and my father won’t be happy at all, wherever he is. And he died to save your life”, she reminded him, just in case he had forgotten.

The silence after her outburst was positively deafening. Slowly, she sought Isildur’s glance with the corner of her eye, to get wind of his next reaction, but he was not looking at her. His gaze was fixed on some point behind her, and for a moment she was so sure that someone else was standing there that she instinctively turned back.

The courtyard was empty.

“Very well. I will - do as you ask, Fíriel, though I must warn you that it will not be easy”, he said in a weird voice, as hoarse as if he had a head cold. She practically sobbed in relief.

“Thank you very, very much, my lord” she rushed to say before he could change his mind. “I… understand, and I am sorry. I… did not mean to…”

“You did not mean to, but you did.” He shook his head several times, as if trying to dislodge a persistent headache of some sort. “You are so very much alike it is almost uncanny.”

“Am I?” In spite of the awkwardness of the situation, she felt an unexpected pride swell in her chest. “Am I like my father?”

His eyes were a little clouded as he nodded in pretended ease, and all of a sudden, without even knowing why, Fíriel was aware that he was lying. She reminded him of someone, but it was not her father.

Had he known her mother, too? Would he tell Fíriel about her?

Just when she had gathered enough courage to speak, however, he laid a hand on her shoulder and called for someone, and the moment was gone.

“Go back to your grandmother, and do not tell anyone about this, whether from this house or from yours” he instructed her, falling to his knees so they would see eye to eye. “And be prudent around the Prince of the West, for if I need to intervene, it will be very hard to do so without causing any ripples that you will not like. Do you understand, Fíriel daughter of Malik?”

“Yes, my lord”, she nodded firmly. “I understand.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He had not been consciously trying to attract her attention, but she was so adept at perceiving his moods that staring for a little too long at an empty space, or needing an extra second to answer a query was more than enough for her to notice that something was amiss. Sometimes, Gimilzagar resented this a little, but usually he had to admit that he needed her help. And today, he needed it more than ever.

“Tell me what worries you, my son”, she said, letting her book fall over her lap. The waves broke against the rocks at regular intervals, so far below their feet that only the faintest rumble reached his ears, a peaceful sound which had rocked him to sleep many nights since they arrived from Armenelos. Gimilzagar longed to close his eyes against it, and forget about everything else.

“Mother”, he spoke, then for a while said nothing, too busy struggling with the best choice of words. But with some things, there was simply no right way to say them; one either said them, or remained silent for ever. “Is there a way for me to live without killing other people?”

Zimraphel was not angry. Instead, she leaned towards him, and caressed his hair with the tip of her fingers.

“I understand. You are upset because your new friend does not agree with the practice, and you are afraid that she might hate you.”

“Her grandfather was a barbarian, Mother”, he explained, seizing the chance to be forthcoming about the thoughts which had haunted him for the last days. “He was taken to the Island but he was not sacrificed; instead, he married a Númenórean woman. If he had died, she would never have been born!”

“You are not looking at things the right way”, she scolded him gently. “Rather, if she did not have to be born, her grandfather would not have lived. Some people have a special fate, and they will fulfil it despite all the odds. Your friend Fíriel is an Elf-friend, is she not? Ask her about Beren and Luthien! They were a man and an Elf who, according to the legends, went as far as to die and be brought back from the threshold of Eternal Darkness merely because it was their fate to marry and bring a half-Elven race into the world.”

Gimilzagar stared at her, trying to assimilate her words.

“Is… Fíriel someone special, then?”

“If she was not, would she have brought such a great change to your life merely because of her presence?” she chuckled. “Since you met her, you have braved the might of the Lady of the Seas and that of your nurse, and now you are even pondering letting yourself die to win her approval!” She sobered a little. “As you may have imagined, your father and I will not let you do such a thing.”

“It is not fair!” he cried bitterly. “Why was I not given a life that was just mine, like everyone else? Why must I depend on others? Is this why they call me an abomination? Yes, I have seen the word in Lady Milkhaset’s mind, when she told me about the Baalim-worshippers who resented me, but I did not know what it meant, and it felt so ugly that for a long time I was even afraid to ask!”

Zimraphel shook her head, unperturbed by this information as much as by his outburst.

“These people are wrong, my son. They are wrong about many things, but above all, they are wrong when they signal you. For in this world, many die so others might live every single day. Look at Nature herself: animals hunt and kill other animals to feed their flesh to their young so they will not starve. Beyond the Sea, tribes and kingdoms go to war and destroy the population of other tribes and kingdoms so they can settle in their lands and thrive on their grain, and border armies fight and give their lives to defend their people from the attacks of their enemies. Many of those who grumble at Lord Zigûr’s sacrifices were happy enough to slaughter those same barbarians in the mainland when they revolted against Númenor. It is the law of the world that the conquered give their lives on behalf of the conquerors, and the lesser on behalf of the greater, and it is nothing but hypocrisy to lay the weight of all those lives on your shoulders.” Now, her tone was growing more passionate, as if she was angry, though not at Gimilzagar. “You are a convenient target because you are young and frail. They would never dare defy your father openly, for he is the mightiest warrior alive, so they are laying the groundwork for what they believe will be your future succession of him.”

This was all a little too much for the boy to assimilate. Confusion and alarm waged a war inside him, as his mind worked furiously to make sense of his mother’s words. She believed that he had the right to live at the expense of other people’s deaths because he was great, but at the same time, to his enemies, he was a childish weakling whose authority they would defy if his father was not there. The terrible thought dawned upon him that perhaps he was expected to grow worthy of all those lives only by becoming a strong warrior and ruler like Father was. But instead of fulfilling those expectations, he was scared by the sight of blood, and whining because his friend would not like him if she knew about the sacrifices. No wonder Father was always so short with him, he thought.

“You cannot blame him, no”, she said, but in a way that did not sound like a reproach. As if to reinforce this impression, she caressed him again. “But he does not know you as well as I do. You are strong, my son. And one day, your life will be yours and no other’s.”

Really?” He looked up, hopefully. “When?”

But her smile became enigmatic, and the hopes he had harboured fell a little. He knew his mother well enough to be aware that she was never wrong, but the future that she was able to see with her powers was too remote for his impatience.

“There is one sacrifice which can end all sacrifices. One day, you will understand this. In the meantime,” the ethereal, mysterious look vanished, “would you want your little friend Fíriel to come to Armenelos with us?”

Gimilzagar’s spirits were lifted at this, though the effect, once more, proved short lived.

“I… do not know if she would want that”, he ventured, all too painfully aware now that he was sounding like the opposite of a strong ruler. He could imagine his father frowning at him, and asking why would that matter.

Thankfully, Father was not here.

“She has her family”, he continued. “And she worries about them all the time.”

“I thought you said that she was an orphan.”

“Her mother and father died, yes.” And his father had died an outlaw of some sort, he recalled, desperately wishing that he could hide those thoughts from her. “But she has a grandmother. And aunts and uncles, and cousins, too.” Suddenly, he remembered something. “And they are also friends with the Lord of Andúnië.”

“I see.” She smiled, this time in sheer amusement. “She thought that this would impress us, didn’t she?”

“I do not know…” he began, then fell silent, mortified. Realizing that he was upset, however, she changed her expression to a serious one.

“I can see why she would be anxious. She comes from a rather disreputable background, and her lords are exiles. That we are aware of her existence must terrify her to no end. But she has nothing to fear. In the Palace, she would live like a lady, and her family would be better off for having one less mouth to feed.”

“She works to feed herself, Mother!” he protested hotly. Why was it, that he would only feel brave when she needed defending? Could this be why Mother was so interested in her, because she was necessary to make Gimilzagar behave like a proper Prince of the West?

“Do you wish to know the reason why I am so interested in her? Because I do not want to see you hurt, my son”, she answered his unvoiced thought. “At the end of this month, we must return to Armenelos, and you will have to say goodbye. And then, even if we come back next year and you see her again, she will not be so innocent anymore. The Baalim-worshippers will have poisoned her against you, and when you feel her thoughts against yours, you will suffer. Bring her to the Palace, and she may be angry for a while, but eventually she will be free from their poison.”

Gimilzagar swallowed a very large lump which had grown in his throat at his mother’s words. As he did so, he fought hard to ignore the annoying prickling sensation in his eyes. At other times, he would have teared up in front of her, sought her comfort and her protection against the unfairness of the world. But he could no longer do that without feeling terribly self-conscious, so instead he stood up and left in an attempt to hide his turmoil from her.

Mother did not call him back.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The rest of the summer went by so fast that sometimes it seemed to him as if only a fortnight had passed. Almost every day, Gimilzagar and Fíriel would meet, and after a while she forgot her former apprehensions about him and his escort. She showed him all her favourite places, taught him to fish and, on a very memorable day, took him in disguise to the market of Rómenna so they could sail in the boat of a fisherman she knew. The only two things she would not do were taking him to her house or accepting an invitation to his, even when the Royal Nurse herself, looking like she had chewed on a lemon, came to apologize for her former behaviour and personally vouch for her safety. But Gimilzagar did not care: in fact, he preferred to follow her into places where no one knew who he was, and his escort looked on the verge of having a fit from the distance where they were forced to remain. She taught him to love the Sea and those who lived from it, until even his clumsy hands acquired the necessary skill to imitate them, and his feet stood firmly upon the rocky surfaces. She also taught him that the Sun would not burn him if he wore a hat, that people would smile and wave if he greeted them with the right words, that working for a living did not leave time for boredom and dark thoughts, and that food tasted better when you caught it yourself. She even taught him tales, stories from the old homeland that she had been forced to abandon, and of Elves who were not evil creatures who ensnared mortals with their magic, but wise and powerful beings of light. At first she had not wanted to do so, for she did not trust him to listen with equanimity, but once he asked her about Beren and Luthien her resistance crumbled.

“Do you think that Beren survived all these dangers because it was his fate to meet Luthien?” he asked. “That the gods just… protected him for that reason? Because it had to be him and they would not have had it otherwise?”

Fíriel looked askance at him, as if trying to determine whether he was mocking her story or not.

“He survived because he was the bravest man in the world”, she finally gave her own opinion. “And that is why Luthien fell in love with him. Like my mother fell in love with my father.”

Most of the time, Gimilzagar was feeling too exhilarated and excited at the new world he was discovering to agonize too much over the conversation with his mother. This, however, began to change the day he grew conscious that time was inexorably slipping away from his grasp, and that he would have to return to Armenelos in less than a week. All of a sudden, every good moment they spent together, every laugh they shared started turning sour in his mouth after a while, like spoiled milk. And then the issue he had resolved to keep away from his mind returned to torment him in all its horrible glory.

Would he lose her forever? Give up the only friend he ever had?

One afternoon, two days prior to his scheduled departure, he finally gathered his courage to ask her if she would follow him to the Palace. He was half-expecting her to laugh in his face, perhaps be angry, but her reaction took him by surprise. Her eyes widened, and her features were drained of most of their colour and, what was worse, of her spirit.

“No. Please, no. Do not do this to me, Gimilzagar.”

The sight of her looking like this was so upsetting that he could not help feeling hurt.

“I was just asking because you are my friend, and I want to spend more time with you!”

“If you were truly my friend you would never have asked it!”

Now, Gimilzagar was angry. It had taken him very long to find the guts to do this, and if she had said no, he would have been disappointed but ready to insist, with arguments he had been carefully crafting for an entire sleepless night. Her fear, however, touched a nerve which had lay dormant since that fateful conversation.

“Why are you afraid? Have you been listening to what they say about me? Do you think I want to eat your soul?”

She turned away and fled, so fast that he doubted that even his escort would have been able to catch her, but not fast enough that the turmoil of her thoughts did not spill out, with a burning intensity that shocked him. In his life, he had grown used to this accident happening all the time, sometimes welcomed it when it revealed things that he wanted to know. He even thought that he controlled it to a certain extent, but that was because nothing like this had ever happened to him.

He was her. She came back home every day making up lies, praying that they would not see through them, learn the truth and drag her to a ship bound for Middle-Earth, where they would be faced with a new, scary beginning, away from everyone who had cared and looked after them. Sometimes, she feared even worse things: that one day they would no longer be there when she arrived, that the fields would be burning and the house destroyed, but the immediacy of this particular terror had mostly abated by now. Every morning, before she met him, she made sure that she had identified each and every member of his escort, counted them twice, thrice, until she was sure that none of them was outside her field of vision. She had troubled thoughts about a man who lingered in her mind, a powerful warrior whose help she had sought, but whom she was not sure she could trust. There was fear for Gimilzagar too, for she knew people who would like to hurt him, who hated him, but she would do anything to protect him. And then, just as she thought that things were getting better, that perhaps they could even be friends without anyone suffering for it, the spoiled brat suddenly came up with the idea of taking her away from everyone she loved, to the place of dread where her grandfather’s people were burned on altars and her own father had died. If she told the warrior about this, he would do anything to prevent it, to protect her, causing a chain of events that was too terrible for her to contemplate. But if she told no one, she would have to go, and as soon as the King or the demon who was his High Priest laid eyes on her, they would know who she was and where she came from, and what would Gimilzagar be able to do against them? There was a nightmarish vision, of her pinned against a stone altar while the blade drew inexorably closer to her throat, and the flames rose high, eager to receive her flesh.

Gimilzagar awoke in his own bed, yelling. He was given warm tea under the disapproving glare of the Royal Nurse, who would be scolding him for disregarding her warnings about that girl if Mother had not been there. Still, her thoughts must have been obvious enough for the Queen to frown at her.

“The girl did not do anything to Gimilzagar. Rather, it is thanks to her that he has begun to discover some of his abilities. Abilities which come at a painful price, as I myself learned to my regret when I was even younger than he.”

Her words seemed to come from a very great distance. He looked down, and saw his own body lying on the bed, but it was not his body and somewhere else he was still Fíriel, crying as the waves broke savagely against the jagged rocks behind her back.

Suddenly, he was able to pinpoint what was so wrong with this whole situation. Among all her thoughts, fears and calculations, there had been a very important thing missing. Gimilzagar was certain that he had asked her if she wanted to come with him to Armenelos, but this was nowhere to be found in her recollections. To Fíriel, he had told her that she would be going with him to Armenelos, and there had been no chance for her to say no. At first, the thought stung, and he longed to set it right, but then it dawned upon him. He had seen himself through her eyes, and the question he was asking had been so important to him, his eyes were shining with such hope as he spoke, that she knew her denial would hurt him and make him upset. And then Mother, the Royal Nurse and those who surrounded him would not care that she did not want to go, because all that mattered to them was his happiness. His, and not hers.

It is the law of the world that the conquered give their lives on behalf of the conquerors, and the lesser on behalf of the greater.

When he lashed out at her, he had spoken of eating her soul. He would never do something so horrible, but would it be so different to steal her? Like a slave in the harbour of Sor, she had said once in anger, except that queens and princes never pay for what they want. And yes, Gimilzagar was aware that he was not thinking or acting like a powerful ruler, but the truth was that he was very far from being a powerful ruler. For if he was, he would be able to ensure her safety and that of her family, and swear truthfully that no harm would ever come to her, in Rómenna or Armenelos. But he was just a pathetic child, who might scare a few Guards with his tantrum, yet remained unable to stand between her and the wrath of the King of Númenor. What right did he have to put her in so much danger?

Slowly, Gimilzagar came to a painful decision.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

She was there on the following morning, looking warily behind Gimilzagar, in what he now knew was her familiar ritual of locating and counting everyone in his escort. He also knew that he need not have worried that she would not come, for she would never leave them any openings to target her family.

He swallowed long and hard, walking away from the Royal Nurse and towards her. The woman’s expression of disapproval, which appeared to have been carved in her features perpetually in the last days, was even harsher now than it had ever been.

“Hello”, he greeted. Fíriel glared at him, but he resisted the urge to cringe. “I am sorry.”

The girl shrugged, and he realized that he had been right all along. She did not even think that his apologies meant anything, or that they could change her situation.

“Do you remember what you once said to me? That you would not be able to hit me if I was a clueless idiot?” A part of him cringed at this, but it was necessary. He had to.

She nodded, scrutinizing him with a rather puzzled gaze.

“I was a clueless idiot. Hit me.”

“What?” Now, he had surprised her, but not for long. She shook her head. “No.”

“No one will prevent it. I told them they could not. See? That is why Lady Milkhaset is looking so angry.”

This time, she seemed to ponder it briefly.

“No. Leave me alone.”

“You want to do it.”

“I don’t.”

“Yes, you do!”

Gimilzagar had never been hit in his life. He had not even known what to expect. Nobody had told him that not just his skin, but his whole head would ring from the impact, as if he had run into one of those marble columns of the Palace. He had not anticipated that he would not be able to stand proudly, but instead find himself instinctively cowering and hiding his face with his hands as he let go of a yelp of pain. It was all so undignified that he felt himself cringe.

Then again, he thought on the very next moment, slowly prying away his fingers from his features so he could gaze at her, he had not lost all his dignity. Fíriel was looking left and right in trepidation, which gradually faded into amazement when she realized that he had spoken true, and no one had moved behind them. He had been obeyed, and this felt so wonderful that it was almost enough to take the dreadful sting away.

“Are… you okay?” she asked. He was tempted to say no, but this new pride he felt emerged victorious against his self-pity.

“If I come back next year, will you still be my friend?”

Fíriel did not answer for a very, very long time. Just as he was wondering if he should ask again, she engulfed him in a tight hug, and began sobbing against the back of his head. Swept by the intensity of the whole situation, he broke into tears, too.

“I w-will always b-be your friend, Gimilzagar” she sniffled. “Always.”

That day, when Gimilzagar came back alone and unusually quiet, Mother did not ask any questions. Instead, she laid his head on her lap and stroked his hair until he fell asleep, crooning comforting words in his ear.

 

A Changing Landscape

Read A Changing Landscape

The Eastern sea had never exerted on him the same degree of fascination as the Western one, though the rational part of Isildur knew that both could be equally deadly for those imprudent enough to challenge their unfathomable might. But swimming in the waters of Rómenna, he often caught faraway glimpses of merchant ships and war galleys sailing for Middle-Earth, that vast land which the reign of Ar Pharazôn had turned into little more than a hunting ground for the Númenóreans. Gone was the emptiness, the terrible silence of the Western sea, where a swimmer’s clouded eyes could believe they had seen the shape of the Forbidden Mountain, rising above the horizon like a white ghost to spell doom upon trespassers.

If the hapless land East of Númenor had only been able to wield such defences against the men from the Island, he thought as he felt the yielding sand under his feet, it would have invoked this protection long ago, and left them to stand forever trapped between two forbidden worlds, hated and shunned by all. It seemed an eternity since the Númenóreans had been welcome among their fellow men, for bringing the benefits of civilization to the peoples of darkness who lived near the Western shores. This association had given rise to advanced societies like the kingdom of Arne, which despite its many failings had stood for hundreds of years as a beacon against the power of Mordor and the savagery of the mountain tribes. But now, Númenórean civilization had become one with this power and this savagery, and neither friend nor foe could expect anything better from them. And, not yet content with oppressing the lands which had traditionally been part of their area of influence, Ar Pharazôn had taken his troops far beyond any limit previously considered by their ancestors or even known by the Elves, as if looking for the dark chasm at the end of the world which kept eluding him in his campaigns. Sometimes, Malik teased Isildur about this, telling him that the King was animated by the same demons that had brought the son of Elendil to swim in search of the land of the Valar, courting death. But Isildur had never succumbed to the demon who made Men sacrifice other Men for the sake of their own greatness, and if he had been responsible for the death of a man, he had never forgiven himself for it.

How can you presume to know the innermost workings of his mind? Perhaps he is seeking death, too. Perhaps he is angry at the world because no one will give it to him.

Isildur laughed bitterly.

“All those souls spent with the sole purpose of extending life, and you say that perhaps he wants to die? I think death is the farthest thing from his mind. As far as he is concerned, he is a god, the Face of Melkor, if not Melkor himself. And the sycophantic minion that both had in common seems to agree.”

But trying to be a god must be immensely frustrating. Just take a moment to think about his plight, Isildur. All those people burned in fire altars to his greater glory, and not a single one of them climbed their steps willingly to die for him. He can have the domes of all Four Great Temples blackened with the smoke of the sacrifices, and still you remain a greater god than he.

“Do not say that,” Isildur hissed fiercely. “Do not ever say that.”

“Are you looking for this?”

It took him too long to realize that the voice which had spoken belonged to a solid presence, who stood looming over him on the surf. Their hand was extended before his face, holding the clothes he had discarded before he walked into the water, while the eyes surveyed him with an expression of quiet, but no less clamorous disapproval.

“Anárion” he whispered, in a voice made hoarse by the salt he had swallowed. “What do you want?”

His brother looked almost incongruous in this wild landscape, dressed as if he had prepared for an audience with the Governor of Sor, who was the highest authority who would see them these days. The only concession he had made to his surroundings had been to leave his shoes behind, to prevent the salt water from ruining them. Even this, however, was highly unusual as far as Isildur could tell.

“Are you going to put your clothes on?” Anárion asked, instead of replying to his question. He shrugged.

“I usually prefer to dry first. But you could have waited until I was dressed instead of ambushing me like this”, he continued before the younger man could open his mouth again. “Unless you are here to give me very urgent news.”

“They are not as much urgent as they are important”, Anárion insisted, going as far as to practically press his bundle into Isildur’s hands. “And I have ambushed you, as you say, only because it is harder than it seems to gain access to you, considering that we are brothers and live in the same house.”

“It is the first time I hear that you have tried.” Night had almost fallen upon the Eastern horizon, and the cold breeze became more noticeable as Isildur’s clothes grew wet from contact with his body.

“Perhaps you have been too busy to notice.” Anárion was fairly good at sarcasm; it would be impossible to detect it from his voice and his demeanour alone. “I will give you a brief update: Father and I have been working for quite some time now to get permission from the governor of Sor to be allowed to pursue commercial ventures in the mainland.”

“I knew that”, Isildur protested, irritated at the condescendence. It was not his fault that all those small-minded political manoeuvres were unable to hold his attention for long. He had not been born to play the scheming politician in a provincial court, and this was no mere snobbery of the great brought low, for he would gladly exchange his fate with that of the meanest of soldiers.

“Then you will be happy to know that permission has finally been granted.” The sarcasm seemed to remain implied in the words, though Anárion’s voice still remained even. Isildur was surprised at the level of his own annoyance.

“Should I be?”

“I thought you were unhappy because we were forced to remain here in idleness while our enemy gained strength.” At long last, he could see a tiny spark of fire in his younger brother’s eyes. “Now we can send ships to Middle-Earth like the merchants do, and under the excuse of seeking new markets, we can explore new lands to establish ourselves and our people if the worst should come to pass.”

Isildur sat on the surf, and he saw Anárion wince as his wet garments were further soiled by the sand that adhered itself to them. Though he feigned nonchalance, his mind was furiously pondering this new development. He remembered Lord Númendil’s prophecies, which had done nothing but grow more insistent with the passing of the years, claiming that a time would come when all the Faithful in the Island would need their help. The fact that his kinsmen’s answer to those dire warnings was to still seek a way to coexist with the Sceptre, in the naïve hope that they would be left in peace if only they found someplace to retreat farther away from its aggressions, angered him. Ar Pharazôn the Golden, the Face of Melkor, had staked a claim on all of Middle-Earth.

“If you think that the King will let you have a part of his world to live there as you please, then I must doubt that you understand the extent of the problem.”

“We will carry our operations in secret, not breaking any laws and far away from the lands he has conquered. The North coast above the Middle Havens has remained largely outside our trade routes ever since Ar Alissha lost the Sceptre. Too many different kindreds live there, especially the Elves, whose evil magic still carries weight in the superstitious minds of our contemporaries.”

“How long do you think it will take for them to realize that the Elves are few, and that their power is not so great as the old tales would have us believe?” Isildur snorted. “These people grew up thinking that the Lord of Mordor was an unassailable foe, and that the lands of Rhûn were only places of legend.”

“Long enough.” Now, it was Anárion who seemed to be growing irritated. “Long enough to hopefully buy us the time that we need. Ar Pharazôn may believe himself a god, but he is not eternal, and sooner or later things will come to a head, and the prophecies in our dreams will become true. You of all people should know that they always do.”

Isildur’s eyes widened at this. He had not expected such a direct attack, but on some deep level, he welcomed it. If everyone attacked their foes directly, instead of taking their cue from the Dark Lord, the world would be a much easier place to live in.

“I never expected a higher power from Heaven to do my work for me. Or to sweep in and save me at the last moment.”

“And yet someone did. And because of it you are alive now, doing nothing but wallow in self-pity and frustration since that day. Is that truly so much better than what we are doing?”

Who would have said it? Little Anárion has grown a spine, Malik laughed. He has come a long way from the child who resented me for usurping his rightful place, yet never said a word about it.

“I am not the one who refused every opening we were given to fight evil!” For the first time in the conversation, someone raised his voice, and it was Isildur; a minor defeat, and yet one he felt acutely. “I am not the one who chooses to retreat every single time that the enemy advances!”

“As the Lord of Andúnië once said, we are not traitors, Isildur. Therefore, we cannot consider the King of Númenor our enemy. Not to mention it would be most unwise to do so at the moment.”

“But I am a traitor. The High Priest, too. And you are all traitors for harbouring us. If you think that either Ar Pharazôn or Sauron have forgotten about this, you are mistaken. They will let you carry on with your little schemes as long as you are not a hindrance to them.”

Now, you have made him angry. Even as Malik was saying those words, Anárion did something that Isildur would have never expected: he sat on the surf facing him, ruining his spotless attire with a single move.

“What shall it be, then? Will you help us with our little schemes, or sit on the beach until Sauron comes for you? Though I doubt he will, as he has you exactly where he wanted you: alone, isolated, and doing nothing. I am aware that we have never been close”, he went on when Isildur did not respond, as if encouraged by his silence to voice what had never been voiced before. “I understand. I was never old enough, or loud enough to attract your attention. We were always very different: while you were away fighting in the mainland, I was here learning how to scheme in the Court and the Council. But that is fine, as long as we can join forces and work together when it is needed, for the sake of our house and the Faithful as a whole.”

Isildur frowned. Blunt speech, he thought, was something he could respect. Even if it came from an even more unlikely source than the day a young girl barged into his rooms, demanding something quite similar to what his brother wanted now. His help.

They never ask properly, do they? Malik whispered. They do not have your deep understanding of the situation, of which efforts are worth it and when the time is right. That is why you mock them and refuse them, not because you do not want to admit that you are afraid.

“Shut your mouth, you”, he spat. For a moment, he could finally detect a trace of unease in Anárion’s gaze as he stared towards the spot where the son of Ashad was standing. “So, what do you need me for? Are you intending to explore the savage-infested coasts of the North, searching for a place to establish a secret kingdom? Perhaps you would do better to wait until the Lord of the Waters deigned to appear and showed you the way to a hidden valley.”

“Well, barring divine intervention, that is more or less what we would be doing.” His brother flinched as the rising tide brought a wave too close to wetting his feet, and suddenly Isildur wanted to laugh at the ridiculous idea of this man leading a dangerous expedition. “If you feel ready for such a venture, of course.”

I was fighting Orcs and barbarians while you were taking notes of Grandfather’s speeches, you insolent, pedantic little shit, the thought came to his mind, but he did not say it. The truth was that Isildur had not spoken to many people in the last years, with the sole exception of he who was always with him. But Malik was a ghost, and in tales, the fate of people who spoke only to ghosts was not an enviable one.

“Who put you up to this?” he asked instead. “Was it Mother or Father?”

Anárion stared at him at length, then shook his head as if he could not believe him.

“Neither. Speaking of Mother and Father, however, there are other news which concern you.” The tide was rising inexorably, and this time he stood up and retreated a few steps. Isildur did not move. “Do you remember Lady Kadrani of Sorontil?”

“The one whose husband and son were killed by the King with our grandfather’s help?”

“The lord of Andúnië played no role in those events, except to try to convince Lord Hiram to lay down his arms peacefully.”

Isildur shrugged.

“That sounds more like him.”

Anárion ignored this quip.

“I have been in communication with one of her daughters for the last year. She is older than me, but the difference is not unsurmountable, and she is still of an age to be married. Her father used to be of the Faithful, and her family still honours his beliefs. Plus, she belongs to the line of Elros, though disgraced enough that she would be willing to marry into our family.”

Isildur blinked.

“Congratulations. You sound really enthusiastic”, he ironized.

Why are you surprised? He was never the type to marry for love, Malik remarked. Or to have passionate affairs with half-barbarian traitors who get themselves killed young. And I’ll say, good for him.

“My enthusiasm or lack of it is irrelevant”, Anárion predictably replied. “But there is something else. She has a sister, and both her family and ours agree that you should marry her.”

“What?” At first, Isildur had such trouble taking those words in, that he thought he was lost in one of those convoluted, purposeless dreams that he often had since the visions of the White Tree had disappeared for ever. “You must be joking. I have no intention of marrying.”

“I know.” Not so predictably, Anárion’s gaze showed understanding. “And yet now, more than ever, the line of Andúnië must carry on.”

So that was what the house of Andúnië, in their infinite wisdom, wanted to make of him, he thought in bitterness. They would use him to find new places to hide and to breed heirs to fill them.

“And then what? Will we outnumber the King’s supporters if we have enough children?” Malik laughed, as if amused by Isildur’s plight, but he did not find it funny. “You can marry and carry on the line of Andúnië. I am not needed for that.”

“And yet you are Father’s heir, not me.” By some unpleasant joke that Fate decided to play on us, his voice seemed to be implying. “It would not be proper if I married and had issue while you remained alone and childless.”

“Do you want to be Father’s heir?” Anárion looked at him, visibly searching for signs of hostility in his gaze, and seemed taken even more aback when he found none. “I can relinquish my birthright. Do you know what?” A sudden idea occurred to him. “If you like appeasing the King so much, how about this to curry his favour? I committed open treason in my lawless youth, so to prove our loyalty, I should not be allowed to have a claim to the succession of this family. I have no doubt that he will be very moved when he hears about it.”

“Is there anything of your pride left?”

“It is not there that my pride lies.” As the embers of his temper awoke at last, Isildur stood on his feet as well, and began pacing around the surf. “I will not marry a woman against my will and hers, and I will not bring any more children into this world unasked.”

That was a low blow, Malik complained, looking askance at him, but this time he completely ignored the ghost.

“It is not against her will.”

“What?”

“You have heard me quite well”, Anárion frowned. “She is very much in favour of the idea.”

“She does not even know me. If she has said this, it is because she wants to marry someone, anyone, and I am her only chance.” And he had not heard anything about her, or about this issue, because they knew what his reaction would be, and so had chosen to lay the consummated deal before him like a trap to hunt a wild deer with.

“Do not underestimate her. She has heard everything about you”, his brother went on to confirm his thoughts. “She is younger than her sister, which means that she is around your age, but it was thought that she could be more suited to you than to me. Perhaps you should give her a chance when they visit us next week.”

“Next week?” Isildur glared. “Are you about to tell me that I am already married and they did not tell me?”

“That cannot be done.”

“Because if it could, they would have done it!” He was so furious that the gentle breaking of the waves had turned into a deafening roar in his ears. “Perhaps I should have been paying attention to your petty scheming, after all.”

“I swear I had nothing to do with this!” Anárion replied, sounding genuinely hurt. “Maybe you are right, maybe she just wants to marry, but would that be so terrible? She will still be happy to have you, and do her best to make you happy in turn.” And perhaps you could use some of that, Malik added wisely. “And if that is not enough, you will have an excuse to sail away and not see her too often.”

“Were those the exact terms discussed?” he asked, in a scathing voice. His younger brother seemed torn between several strong emotions; for someone who was usually so composed, the effect was strange even in the half-darkness.

“You would never have taken this step on your own and you know it! And yet, marrying is as much of an obligation in these times as it is to go to war and risk your life. And refusing your responsibilities is no different from being a coward!”

Isildur had not been so angry in years. He turned back to confront his brother, but there was nothing but a dark emptiness behind him. Wrong-footed, he looked ahead, and saw the tall silhouette walking swiftly across the sand in the direction of the cliff. He wanted to yell something after him, but in his state of agitation the right words would not come.

Or maybe there are no right words because he is right, Malik contributed, rather unhelpfully.

That night, Isildur sat on the beach wide awake, his gaze fixed on the shifting waves until long after the sun had emerged from the horizon.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Rómenna was in an uproar, even more than the previous summer. To Fíriel, who was used to harvest seafood along the coastline undisturbed, it was a novel experience to be forced to take one detour after another to avoid packs of silly noblewomen and daughters of merchants giving annoying little cries as they wet their feet in the cold seawater, while their attendants held the heavy folds of their robes. Even worse were their male counterparts, who catcalled after her and made all kinds of propositions, even if she did not look at them and minded her own business. Going to the market was an odyssey, with so many of their servants crowding every space, and behaving haughtily to the residents while they fought one another for every quality catch that made it to the stalls. The citizens of Rómenna had been divided in two camps: those who benefitted directly from this strange invasion of holiday revellers, either because they could ask thrice as much for their merchandise and receive it without as much as a blink, or because they had been employed to increase the staff of some exalted personage who did not want to take his or her entire retinue with them from Armenelos, and those who complained bitterly about the prices and the impossibility of having a moment of peace.

All because of him. Fíriel halted her steps, and tilted her head to gaze in silence at the boy who sat by the edge of the cliff, closing his eyes to listen attentively to the cry of the seagulls. When he was younger, the Prince Gimilzagar had been taken to spend his summer here –which was how he and Fíriel had met-, and, from then on, he had always insisted on returning to the same place every year. Word of this had slowly spread across the realm, stirring ripples and provoking both expected and unexpected reactions. Those with power and means in Armenelos and Sor had sought to imitate him, pretending to have discovered the benefits which its charming seaside and mild climate had on their health, but in truth just wishing to make his acquaintance and curry his favour. This had caused no small degree of alarm among the Western exiles, who lived in fear of being torn from their new homes just as they had been torn from the old. The doomsayers claimed that to have the previously forgotten and decaying Bay of Rómenna become a prized destination for so many nobles and merchants was the first step towards a second exile, as it would not take long for their presence to come under scrutiny just as it had in Sor. Fíriel thought this terribly unfair, for even though they were seen as newcomers by the stuffy city people, they had still arrived before all those nobles. And they had to stay for the whole year, not only on summer, which should give them some right to call the place home. But if the world worked like that, as her aunt would always say, they would not have needed to relocate here in the first place.

Anyway, the irony was that they were all deluding themselves, because Gimilzagar did not want to meet any of them. When her friend realized that those people were there to bother him, he had quietly withdrawn from every public space where he could be spotted and recognized. In the last few years, she had often visited him in the large grounds of the villa where he stayed, and their escapades had always been to barely frequented spots which the horde of invaders had not yet heard about. Even so, for extra precaution, he was always in disguise. His first, childish attempts at deception when he met Fíriel had given him an idea, and he had rescued the persona of the only son of Eshmounazer, merchant of Sor, who journeyed to the seaside for his health. She had thought it a good option, because even though by now he could catch seafood and fish like a native, his looks, and especially his skin, would always give him away as an outsider.

The annoying nobles, however, were very unlikely to hurt him if they found him, something that Fíriel, if she was honest, was not sure she could say about all the other people they might come across. Sometimes, she had tried to tell Gimilzagar that he should be paying less attention to avoiding social obligations, and more to other things. But there, her weak spot would always come to the fore, and when he asked her what were the “things” that she meant, she found herself unable to explain. How could she tell him that many of the people she knew referred to him regularly as an abomination, openly wished him dead, and blamed him of things that were not his fault? Years ago, she had tried to ask him about the horrible rumours which claimed that he was alive because of the people who were sacrificed in the altar of Melkor; he had burst into tears and refused to reappear for days. Back then, he had still been considered young enough for his mother to accompany him in all his journeys, and Fíriel had spent every hour of that time in terror that she would hear of this. To speak of things that would hurt him so much, and implicate her own family and their friends in the process was just unthinkable.

“You should push him off the cliff”, Zebedin had said in a nasty voice that very morning, as she knelt on the porch looking for her shoes. “You would be doing many people a great favour.”

Fíriel was already used to this sort of talk, so she did not allow herself to be provoked. Instead, she merely arched an eyebrow.

“Like you, for instance? Like our family, for instance? If I did any such thing, they would come for you first.”

“That is how they control us, huh? By making us believe that we have more to lose than they do.” He snorted, and there was an ugly spark in his eyes that she liked less than ever. “Well, think about it! By the time they ‘came for us’, as you say, their precious only heir to the Kingdom on the World would be dead and his body lost in the sea. Not even a thousand sacrifices would be able to bring him back, and what then?”

“If you chattered less with your stupid friends and did more honest work, you would not have to blame others for your problems!” she hissed furiously, walking away before he could react and entangle her in one of those long, tiring and absurd fights that always ended with Grandmother getting upset.

It was all the fault of those idiots. When they started coming to their house, Fíriel had been too distracted by the obvious –that they had befriended Zebedin so they could get closer to Zama and her- to notice how they spent most of their day filling his impressionable head with stupid ideas. Aunt, Uncle and the rest of their kin did not seem too worried about it, or rather did not find enough time to worry between their daily toils and the overpowering concern for Fíriel’s own associations. The day she was forced to come clean about her friendship with Gimilzagar, they had not taken ship for Middle-Earth, but that had been the only good thing to be said about their reaction. They had done everything in their hand to end it, even going to the lord of Andúnië himself, who had seemed concerned and given them advice and asked Fíriel plenty of questions, but nothing more definite than that. When all their attempts to get her out of the way without risking to offend the Sceptre had failed, they still gave her dire warnings night and day, reminding her of what could happen if she should make the slightest false move. Every summer, there were so many things she needed to put out of her mind before she was able to relax next to Gimilzagar that she needed days before she felt remotely comfortable. And even then, to stop closing her eyes and seeing Zebedin’s rage, Eldest Uncle’s worry and Grandmother’s tears was no mean feat.

You should let me speak to them so I could tell them that my intentions are honourable, Gimilzagar had said more than once, as serious as if he was a character from a tale. In this, as in so many other things, he was so deluded that it would have evoked a feeling of tenderness in her if she hadn’t been so directly involved.

It’s not just you, Gimilzagar, she wanted to say. It’s everything around you, your family, your Guards, the stupid nobles and merchants who crowd Rómenna. And it’s everything around me, too.

“Are you trying to surprise me? Because I grow tired of keeping my eyes shut and pretending that I have not noticed your presence.”

Fíriel let go of a long breath, and sat next to the Prince of the West. Seen from this height, the Sea was a splendid tone of turquoise today, an almost gaudy scenery for her sombre thoughts.

“If I was trying to surprise you, you would not have noticed a thing”, she replied, though her voice came out flat and humourless. She looked down, feeling slightly dizzy at the sight of the tiny fishing boats cutting a white path under their feet. If she pushed him, he might pass out from the impact even before he drowned. Or he would perish instantly, if his head was crushed against one of the rocks standing below the waves like an invisible, deadly trap. A great horror filled her at the very thought.

“You are upset.” It was not a question. Long ago, she had realized that Gimilzagar had a strange ability to read her moods that went beyond mere observation skills. “You are always upset when I arrive, then it gets better. It is as if you were expecting… something different every year.”

“Nonsense” she shrugged, irritated at his attempts to figure her out.

“Yes, it is. Because I am always the same. You, on the other hand…” He swallowed, as if he did not know how to say his next words. Suddenly, she realized that he was blushing as he looked at her. “You are different.”

Great. That was just the very thing that she had been needing right now.

“If you came in winter, you could pretend to be fishing and stare at my backside when I crouch near the pools like the local boys do. But in summer the whole area is too crowded with giggling ladies. Now I think about it, I believe they would be happy to crouch for you if you asked”, she said acidly.

He flinched, as if he had been struck. All those years in the Court and he had not even noticed how obvious he had been. If Fíriel did not know him so well, she would have believed his cluelessness to be some kind of ploy to seduce her. Nowadays, the simplest of peasants seemed to have enough brain to spare to make up a ploy to seduce her, even if it was just pretending to look for something in the kitchen so he could bump against her for a second. Not even Zama got that much attention, even though her breasts were quite more prominent than Fíriel’s by now and she was a flirt.

“I am sorry.” He looked down, mortified. “I did not mean… I did not intend…”

His dark eyes had a forlorn look that reminded her of that day, on the first summer, when he asked her to go to Armenelos with him. Suddenly, the crazy thought came to her mind that perhaps the feeling had been there since then. But if it had, she continued this thread of reasoning, then the shape of her backside or the size of her breasts would have little to do with it. This idea was more disquieting than it was flattering, not to mention highly dangerous… and yet….

“I am sorry”, he repeated, perhaps realizing how close she was to leaving.

“Shut up” she said, right before she grabbed his shoulders and kissed him. He stiffened, and for a moment he seemed about to disengage from her grip and run away. As she was wondering if she could have misread his intentions, however, his fears seemed to give way, and he surrendered to her clumsy attempts with even clumsier efforts of his own.

“I was not expecting…” he gasped, when they finally let go. “Well, I hoped… but I thought that you…”

“I thought I had told you to shut up”, she cut him, annoyed. How could they keep the illusion that everything was fine if he insisted on talking? Determined not to hear anything else, at least for a while, she nestled against him.

“There he is!” a familiar voice suddenly cut through the contented haze of her mind. Gimilzagar’s limbs tensed against hers, but before he could react, she had already jumped away from him, to stand between him and the newcomers. Just Zebedin and his stupid, good-for-nothing friends, she thought, trying to calm the beating of her heart.

“Are you sure? He does not look like much. I could take him singlehanded!”

“That is because he is an abomination.” Zebedin was at the head of the little group approaching them, and Fíriel remembered his words about pushing Gimilzagar off the cliff just that morning. He had known where they would be, she realized, her heart beating even faster than before. “That he can breathe at all is unnatural enough. And now, not satisfied with sucking the souls of barbarians he comes in here, where the Faithful live, to bring ruin upon us and steal our girls away!”

“Don’t be stupid, Zebedin!” Fíriel shouted, trying to pull Gimilzagar to his feet in vain, as he appeared too stunned to respond. By now, Zebedin and the others were so close that she and the Prince would never be able to leave the vicinity of the cliff without bumping into any of them.

And they had knives.

“Get out of the way, Fíriel”, her cousin ordered. His voice gave her chills, but she stood her ground.

“No! You will not hurt him!”

Finally emerging from his terrified daze, the Prince of the West started screaming for his escort. Since she had known him, Lord Abdazer and his men had always hounded his steps wherever he went, but Gimilzagar had been forcing them to keep farther and farther away from him every year, afraid that they would ruin his disguise. Fíriel prayed that they had not stayed at the foot of the cliff; if they had, they would never make it in time.

“Shut up, you monster! No one will hear you here!”

From that moment on, so many things happened at once that Fíriel had no time to make sense of her own actions until long after they were over. First, Zebedin grabbed her by the front of her dress, and tried to pull her away from Gimilzagar and the cliff. One of her knees sunk on the hard ground; repressing a groan, she fixed it there and struggled not to budge from her position. Meanwhile, the other two young men advanced towards the Prince, one of them brandishing his fisherman’s knife as if it was a blade; the other cutting Gimilzagar’s escape route on the other side.

Gimilzagar, however, did not look like someone who was searching for openings in his enemy’s strategy. Instead, he was retreating from the immediate threat of the knife, without even noticing that this brought him closer and closer to the edge of the cliff. Fíriel could not move to help him, as Zebedin was much stronger and he was pulling in the opposite direction. But she could not let him fall.

Suddenly, she did not know how or why, an idea came like a flash of insight to her mind, and she moved forwards to bite her cousin’s hand as hard as she could. Taking advantage of the momentary slackening of his grip, while he spat all the strongest curses he could think of, she threw herself on top of the man with the knife, trying to grab it before he could regain his bearings. She was only partially successful: she grabbed the hand that held the knife, but could not wrest it away from him. Enraged, he shook her away, and tried to lunge at her.

It was an instinct, not a conscious thought what made her try to stop the knife with her other arm. All that she knew was that there was an explosion of pain, and she saw drops of blood spattering the front of her dress right before strange sparks of light danced in the periphery of her vision. Gimilzagar was still screaming, and as if from a great distance, she could hear other voices yelling too. The clang of metal against metal grated her ears, making her dive frantically and cover her head with both arms before it could hit her. One of them felt as if it was on fire, and she knew that she was about to pass away, but she could not let that happen, not until she could make sure

This was the last thought she remembered before everything went black around her, and the noises all faded out.

 

A Crumbling World

Read A Crumbling World

“Fíriel! Fíriel, how are you feeling?” a well-known voice, full of concern, brought her back to the waking world a million years later. She struggled to open her eyes, but the sun was high in the sky, blinding her with its rays. When she tried to move, the pain in her arm brought a rush of associated memories to her mind, and she gritted her teeth to struggle into a sitting position.

“Gimilzagar?” Her voice was hoarse, and her lips parched. Someone had bandaged her upper arm and the lower half of her hand with tatters of clothes, so stiffly that the pressure hurt almost as much as the wound.

“Do not move that arm”, he told her. He was there. He was alive.

Around her, she counted two pairs of legs moving in different directions… no, she corrected, three, as another pair of legs stopped and knelt beside Gimilzagar. It was Lord Abdazer, gazing at her with a sombre frown that made the blood chill in her veins. The rest of her memories came back at this, and she remembered the ugly look in Zebedin’s eyes as he led his friends towards the cliff, his threats, her struggles against him until she bit his hand and he let her go. He was nowhere to be seen now, an absence that did not bring her any relief, but instead threatened to send her into a panic. Only the barest instinct of self-preservation prevented her from asking the question that burned in her lips.

“Ah. So she has come to at last. If you do not mind, my lord prince, I would like to interrogate her.”

Gimilzagar did seem to mind.

“I believe you can ensure my safety without bringing any further distress to my friend”, he said. Usually, Abdazer nodded in silence and did as the Prince told him, but this time he was not so accommodating.

“She is one of them. She knew them, and they knew where you were going, my lord prince”, he argued. “Unfortunately, this means we cannot rule out that she was part of the conspiracy.”

“She saved me. Without her, I would be dead, for you would never have come in time.”

“With all my respects, my lord prince, without her, you would never have been in this position, and I would not have been forced to remain at such distance that I could not immediately assist you.”

“That is not for you to judge.” Gimilzagar’s voice had never been so cold, but it became instantly warm when he turned towards her again. “Fíriel, can you stand?”

“As you wish, my lord prince.” Abdazer had not shed his contentious look. “But I must insist that she comes with us. If you do not need protection from her, she might need protection from others. And if she was so eager to receive wounds for your sake, she should be no less eager to volunteer information that may help us deal with this threat to your life.”

“Help me, Gimilzagar”, she pleaded, still in that hoarse voice. She did not know if she could struggle to her feet on her own, and she did not want that man to come anywhere near her. Beyond the narrow confines of her current predicament, however, it struck her as she said those words that she needed help, as she had never needed it before.

The Prince of the West took her good arm and slung it around his shoulder, doing his best to support her in her endeavours. As she was brought to stand with his help, Lord Abdazer, returning to his usual impassiveness, made a sign for his men to escort them down the cliff.

Soon enough, Fíriel realized that she did not need Gimilzagar to walk, as there was nothing wrong with her except the arm. But he was holding her as tight as if she could fall apart at any moment, and after thinking quickly, she decided to act as if she was weak and needed to lean on him. That might keep the man off her for a while, perhaps give her time to gauge the situation and come up with some plan.

If only his gaze was not fixed on her like a falcon on his prey!

“What happened to… them?” she whispered, needing but dreading the confirmation.

“They were taken to the royal villa while you were unconscious”, Abdazer replied before Gimilzagar could even open his mouth. “The Governor of Sor is being notified as we speak, and he will send word to the Palace. But if we want to get to the bottom of this, we must act quickly.”

Get to the bottom of this. Those words struck her as rather ominous, but there was nothing she could do. If she did as much as attempt to tell Gimilzagar that Zebedin was her cousin, that she had been raised by his parents but that they had nothing to do with all this, even that Eldest Uncle and Grandmother had always been angry at anyone who criticised the Prince of the West, the Guard would hear her, and accuse her of being “in the conspiracy” again.

Zebedin, you stupid, stupid idiot, she thought, her eyes glazed over with tears. Didn’t Grandmother warn you that we would all be in deep trouble if they suspected us of trying anything against the Prince of the West? It had been those fools he hung around with, she realized. Before them, he would never have thought of trying anything like this. Before them, he had cared for his family, and would not dream of dismissing all concerns for their safety with the flippant claim that the Sceptre would suffer worse if he had his way. In the last years, they had often been angry with her for putting them in a risky situation, but she had not forgotten for a moment that there were lives depending on her being careful. Even her lapse that morning, which now seemed to have happened ages ago, was something that she would have regretted as soon as she had gathered her wits and seen reason. She would never, ever, have done something so selfish, so callous, so dangerous…

“Why are you crying?” Gimilzagar asked. She shook her head.

“It’s the pain”, she hissed.

“I can carry her, my lord prince”, Lord Abdazer offered, as if she was nothing but a sack of barley. She did not answer, and neither did Gimilzagar, but the Palace Guard did not stop giving her sideway glances, as if he had just come to some sort of realization. She swallowed, trying to regain her composure.

When they reached the villa, Gimilzagar was immediately surrounded by fawning women who fussed over him, thanking their gods for his miraculous delivery and cursing the Faithful. He told them that he was unharmed, that they should thank her for it and that they would do better to tend to her wounds, which they did with much less enthusiasm and a lot more reluctance, as if they believed her body to have absorbed the impact of their curses. While she pretended to close her eyes and surrender to their ministrations, she gathered from the talk around her that the Governor of Sor was expected to arrest everyone who had connections with the would-be assassins and could have had “knowledge of their plans”, and that this would probably happen before the day was over. Frantically, she racked her brains for something she could do, but even if she was able to escape now, it was doubtful that she could find her whole family, and impossible that she could get them in time to a place outside the Governor’s reach.

Her only hope, she realized, lay in the lord of Andúnië. Fíriel still remembered that fateful day when Lord Isildur told her that Lord Amandil would not stand between the Sceptre and anyone, but in the intervening years she had been gathering other evidence that allowed her to make up her own mind. She had discovered that he was largely powerless, for he had been dispossessed of his lands and his seat in the Council and the Governor of Sor had been placed above him. But she had also seen him go out of his way to help her people when they had needed it. And he had won quite a few battles, too, such as when he brought down the edict that would have forbidden them from praying to the Baalim in the East, or when he secured permission for them to sell in the marketplace of Sor despite the city council’s ban. He had defended them in the courts when some of them dared request compensation for the Easterners’ aggressions, and recently, he and his son and grandson had been pushing to be allowed to build ships and do long distance journeys, which would be a way to employ many young men without the means to get a livelihood. Even that idiot Zebedin, if he had waited a little longer, the thought came to her mind, bringing the foul taste of bile to her throat.

“Raise your arm like this”, the healer ordered. Fíriel obeyed, clenching her teeth a little, but remained absorbed by her own thoughts. The old priest! He was the biggest living proof that Lord Isildur’s assertion had not been true. For, if Lord Númendil was to be believed, the former High Priest of Melkor who lived in their house had once angered the King, to the point of committing treason of some sort. And Lord Amandil had stood between the Sceptre and him, which is why he was alive at all. There was still hope.

“Right. Now keep it like that, and do not move it”, the man went on, surveying her with the critical eye of someone who knew that their wisdom would inevitably fall on deaf ears. “It may look like a trifle to you, but there are people who have bled to death from wounds like this. And I would not recommend dispensing with the bandages for the next three days, unless you wish to put an end to your own life.”

“Do not give her any ideas”, the Royal Nurse said, rather unkindly. “She still needs to be questioned.”

“The Prince of the West has forbidden it”, Fíriel replied, her fighting spirit rekindled by this blatant hostility. You evil witch.

Lady Milkhaset did not look impressed.

“Luckily, those who might know better are already on their way.”

Fíriel did not have the patience to endure more.

“Tell me again, where were you when the Prince was attacked? I was risking my life to save him, what about you?”

“That is a good question.” Gimilzagar said, coming in. The healer sank to his knees as he passed by. “Lady Milkhaset, would you please leave? I wish to speak to Fíriel alone.”

Considering her expression, the Royal Nurse disagreed with this as vehemently as with the theory of Fíriel’s innocence, but she could not oppose a direct order. With a curt nod, she gathered her impressive robes and abandoned the room, followed by the healer and her attendants.

For the first time since the attack, Fíriel now had the chance to truly look at Gimilzagar. He had not found the time to change, so his clothes were dirty and slightly torn, and there was dust in his tangled black hair. Though he was not hurt, he looked paler than usual, and as shaken as when she came to her senses by the cliffside. Back then, she had been too absorbed by her own troubles to pay attention to his state, beyond relief that he was alive and well, though now that she thought about it, even surviving a murder attempt must be a haunting experience of its own. He probably had no interest whatsoever in discussing Zebedin, and if she had not been forced by the circumstances, she would not have mentioned him.

“Lord Abdazer wanted to interrogate me, but there is no need. I will tell you everything”, she began, before he could speak. “Zebedin is my cousin. The – one who knew where to find you. I had told Grandmother this morning at home before I left, and he heard me. As you know, I have no parents, so I have always lived with my aunt and uncle. He is their son.”

Gimilzagar’s mouth opened, then closed. For a moment, he looked like a gaping fish, and Fíriel would have laughed if the situation had been even remotely funny.

“You asked me why I look upset whenever you come to see me. The answer is that I am always afraid that something bad will happen. Today, it happened.”

“But why, Fíriel?” He sat on the couch where she was reclining; his hands were trembling. “Why did they want to kill me? I never did anything to them!”

“Because…” Her voice died in her lips, she did not want to talk about it. “There is no time to discuss this. I need to leave, now.”

“Do not listen to Abdazer and Milkhaset! You are safe. I was an eyewitness, and not even the Governor of Sor can doubt my word!”

“It’s not about me! It’s my family! They will arrest them, and they will accuse them of plotting with my cousin, and they will… they will…!” She could not even finish the sentence, for she was too upset. Suddenly, she stood on her feet, ignoring his alarm, and walked away until she could hide his tears from him. “I need to find the lord of Andúnië. He is the only one who can help them.”

“I…” Gimilzagar looked down, uncomfortably. “I do not know if that would be wise…”

“Do you think I am in the conspiracy, then?”

“No!” He seemed outraged at this assumption. “But Lord Abdazer was right, you could be in danger yourself. And you are hurt!”

Fíriel pondered this very briefly. If those three had had any accomplices, they might seek revenge for their failed attempt, but would they know where to waylay her? Could they know where she was heading? Not to mention that the most probable thing was that they had acted on their own, without seeking the counsel of anyone with more brains than a pea. And anyway, none of this mattered, because she simply did not care about any hypothetical danger to herself when weighed against the very real danger to her family.

She told him as much, but he only shook his head. It was as if he had fallen into a daze, and her words were not able to penetrate it.

“There is no reason to worry”, he insisted, stubbornly. “I will tell them that your family had nothing to do with this, either.”

This made her so angry that she would have shaken him until his head rung, if only her arm had not hurt so much.

“You ungrateful piece of shit!” she yelled, the ladylike act she had tried to keep since she was under the eye of his minions gone at last. “I saved your life, and not just at the risk of mine! I had to choose between you and someone who was raised as my brother since we were children, my own flesh and blood! And now, instead of doing everything in your hand to prove that I made the right choice, you want me to regret it! Is that what do you want? Do you want me to regret it for the rest of my life, Gimilzagar?”

First, he stared at her in disbelief; then, as the meaning of her words sunk in his mind, he seemed to curl over himself like a kicked puppy. She could as well have hit him, she thought, wondering furiously what on Earth made her so unable to hate him. For some reason, her mind chose this inconvenient moment to remind her of the taste of his kiss on her lips.

“No!”, he cried. “I-I do not want you to regret it, Fíriel. I will… I will take you to the gate. A-and I will prevent Abdazer from sending men after you. I will do whatever you want, say whatever you want, but please, do not regret it. For if you did, I…” He swallowed, as if he was at the verge of breaking down. “I will do whatever you want.”

“Thank you”. She let her good hand trail over his forehead and cheek, feeling her anger evaporate, though the fear and the worry remained. “I promise I will be careful.”

Gimilzagar only nodded quietly.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Their names were Irimë and Irissë. Both of them, together with their late brother Valacar, had been born to the house of Sorontil at the time when the lords of Forostar had sought to outdo the rest of the realm in their adherence for the ancient laws and familiarity with the Elven tongues, but for all the expensive lessons they had received in their youth, their own names were all the Quenya they could remember. Irimë was the older of the two, which was evident in both her appearance and her demeanour. She was tall and grey-eyed, and possessed the sharp features of the now extinct Northern line, with their telltale long nose and prominent brow. In fact, she would have reminded Isildur of the late lord Hiram, whom he had seen on a few occasions, except that her voice was much quieter, if not less commanding. Even though their meeting had been planned under the disguise of a festive charade, he did not think he had seen her smile once, not even when she was with Anárion.

Still, to his surprise, they did seem to have plenty to talk about. When his brother told him that they had been “in communication”, he had imagined them exchanging empty pleasantries, probably even copying by hand the beautiful phrases that someone else had coined for them. How could it be otherwise, after all, if they had not met face to face since they were children? Or rather, since Anárion was a child, for the age difference could be no less than twenty years. But they must have been discussing weightier things in those letters, since soon after they met Anárion dropped a reference to one of the points she had made and they headed for the back garden, lost in animated conversation. Isildur could still see them there, under the red light of dusk, talking.

If only it was so easy for you to talk your way out of this. But when it comes to civilized conversation, even a barbarian from Harad who had learned Adûnaic from soldiers in a brothel would give you a run for your money.

“The view of the Eastern Sea from the balcony is truly impressive, is it not?” Eluzîni was saying, with a charming smile in the direction of their younger guest. Then, she gave him a look that confirmed him in his suspicions that she was done trying to coax him politely into collaborating with her schemes. “Show it to her, Isildur.”

Irissë happily offered him her arm, and allowed herself to be led away from the other women with not as much as a last glance in their direction. For all the time it took them to reach their destination, she did not stop chattering about this or that, even making Isildur wonder for a moment if it would be possible to let her talk his way out of this.

She was not at all like her sister, or her father, for the matter. The Lady Kadrani was very old now, too old to travel all the way from Armenelos and probably to stand up from her bed, but Isildur vaguely recalled seeing her long ago, and she could recognize her in her youngest daughter. Minus many pounds of fat and almost as many of makeup, he had to admit grudgingly, for the Lady Irissë was round-faced and large-breasted, and the flesh in her arm felt inordinately soft to his touch, but she was well-proportioned and would have been considered desirable in the eyes of many. Her hair was fair and only slightly curly, her eyes large and blue, and she smiled and giggled as if trying to compensate for her sister’s lacks in that department.

“… this is a wonderful house, and I really mean it. If you could see our mansion in Armenelos! No views anywhere, and nothing but a large wall towering over your head no matter where you go. And a good thing it is there too! For we are surrounded by neighbours, and they would be able to see us even when we are trying to relax in the garden! Do you know that sometimes we are roused from our sleep in the early hours of the morning by the voice of a seller peddling goods in the street? The nerve! Though I do not think he would do it unless there were people nearby who bought his wares. Can you imagine, living near people who buy wares right off the street? Oh, Armenelos is such a strange place nowadays! Rómenna is much pleasanter, I would simply love to stay here all year.”

“It is beautiful, yes”, he answered, not as eloquently as his mother might have wished. But he would have been at a loss as to how to do better, even if he had been in the mood. He remembered Anárion’s words at the beach about Irissë being “more suited” to him, wondering if it had been his brother’s –or his mother’s, or his father’s, or whoever had been the one to come up with it- idea of a twisted joke. Perhaps they had just decided that getting the young, good looking one would be enough to appease him, and simply did not think beyond that.

At least she might shut up when you bed her, Malik retorted crudely. He was going to scowl at him, when he became aware that she was gazing up at him, expectantly.

“I am sorry, my lady, but I did not hear your question”, he apologized, hoping it would be enough to cover his blunder. Irissë’s face fell a little, but soon enough she took heart to keep talking as if nothing had happened.

“I was just wondering if you would show me the beach. I have never been in Rómenna before. In fact, I have never been anywhere for a really long time, which is a pity, for the Island holds so many things worth seeing!”

“The beach is full of people these days. And if you do not like peddlers, you will not feel very comfortable there. If you want quiet, the only appropriate time for that is the night, after the sun has set.”

Her eyes shone, and only a moment later he realized his mistake. He bit his tongue before he could let go of a colourful Haradric curse.

“I would love that so much! Perhaps tonight?”

“I wonder, my lady, if that would be proper…”

Malik laughed out loud at this.

“The Lady Lalwendë did not look like someone who would mind.” Irissë smiled impishly. “She seems to like me. Did you notice how she came up with the excuse of the view only so we could be alone with each other? She is such a nice lady!”

‘Nice’ was not quite the word that Isildur would have used, but he still nodded along. The feeling of being a trapped animal, which he had first experienced that night as he sat on the sand, had done nothing but grow in intensity since then. Even Lord Amandil, he thought bitterly, had told him in no uncertain terms that the only valid reason not to wed that lady would be if one of them died before the ceremony.

“There is still Irimë, of course. She is much worse than my mother, always keeping an eye on me and ordering me around, even though I am as much of an adult as she is! But I used to pray to the Baalim that she would one day fall in love and leave me alone, and it appears that they might have heard my prayers at last.”

Love. He remembered Anárion’s description of the woman’s ‘qualities’, how cold and calculating it had sounded in his lips. He had to admit that their behaviour since her arrival had not quite tallied with this, for they seemed genuinely comfortable in each other’s presence. But was that love? Compared to Ilmarë and Malik’s inability to keep off each other despite the whole world being against them, he found Anárion’s newfound affinity to the lady he was forced to marry a little too convenient.

Then you should learn from him. He might not have been tested on the battlefield, but he has still shown remarkable bravery. Staying as a hostage in the Island while his parents, his brother and sister were half a world away, taking care of your grandmother when she was fading before his eyes, swallowing his pride to bow and grovel before the governor of Sor… and now, by the looks of it, marrying a sour-faced domestic tyrant with enough years on her as to be his mother. And he can even find the strength to pretend that it was his choice all along!

“Very well”, he said, unable to put even a tenth of this strength in his own voice. Maybe Malik was right; maybe he had always been the weak one. “We will go to the beach tonight.”

“How exciting!” Her voice was a little too shrill when she was happy, he realized, adding this to the growing list of reasons why he did not want to spend the rest of his life in her company. “I suppose I should wear something plainer, just in case the sea water stains it and spoils the… oh my, who is that?”

Isildur had been about to miss another one of her questions, for her inane babble had the ability to make his mind wander. But this time, she had been pointing towards a particular spot underneath both of them, somewhere by the wide stone path excavated in the side of the cliff by his exiled ancestors. As he followed her glance, his eyes fell on a strange silhouette running upwards. The strangeness, he realized after a moment, came from the way it leaned to one side, reminding him of a warrior who fled the battlefield nursing an injury. Such a happening, however, was as unlikely here as it would be welcome by his restless disposition. He looked again, prepared to see some messenger from the Governor trying to catch his breath, or why not? one of Lady Irissë’s hated breed of peddlers doubling from the weight of his merchandise.

He froze. It was not a messenger, or a peddler, or a man of any sort. It was a young woman who was very well known to Isildur, and the reason why she was not walking straight was no different from a warrior’s reason to protect his damaged side in a hostile land. She was injured – bandaged, by the looks of it, but the haunted look in her eyes told him, even from the distance, that she did not believe herself to have outrun the danger that haunted her steps.

Whatever it is, I hope you think of something better to do than offering to solve her troubles by threatening her friend and implicating her in high treason. For if you don’t, I will not forgive you a second time.

“Dear me, it is a girl! And she looks hurt! Do you know her?”

Mumbling some excuse, Isildur ran away from the balcony, and back through the gallery until he found himself back at the feast. Ilmarë was the first to see him; as he signalled to her, she immediately ceased her small talk with one of the visiting ladies and walked towards the Lord of Andúnië, who was speaking with their father. Both tensed visibly at her sight.

At the other side of the room, the music stopped.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“You have to help us, my lord. Please.” She had kept her composure quite successfully while she was walking to and from Gimilzagar’s villa, and even while she had been inside, under the suspicious watch of those who believed her a traitor and a would-be murderer. But for some reason, the moment she had been required to relive every detail of the story before those imposing people, who looked like statues of carved stone as they silently listened to her words, her courage had foundered. She swallowed hard, invoking the last of her resolve to prevent herself from bursting into tears right in front of them.

To her everlasting gratitude, the lord of Andúnië did not ask her any questions, interrupted her, or made her repeat any part of the tale. All that he did was nod along, and once that she was finished, he stood up from his chair and began giving orders in what she recognised as the sacred tongue. At some point, Lord Isildur opened his mouth to argue some point, but Lord Elendil said certain words that seemed to shut him up. Then, the tall man turned his gaze towards her.

“The Lord of Andúnië will go and see the Governor of Sor right now. Meanwhile, I will go to your family home, and Isildur and Anárion will search for the other families involved. I must tell you that it is very unlikely that we will find anyone there, as they have surely been taken by now. But whether they are home or not, they will be alive, and we will do our best to ensure that they remain that way.” His eyes were grave but kind, and though her concerns did not abate, he did assuage them a little, at least to the point that she was able to swallow the knot from her throat. “You did a very brave thing coming here, Fíriel. Stay with Ilmarë, and try to have some measure of rest while we strive to be worthy of your courage.”

Fíriel opened her mouth, but before she found her voice to answer he had already walked away, followed by his sons. The only person who remained in the room was the Lady Ilmarë, whose aloof coldness was the last thing the girl felt like facing right now. If only the Lady Lalwendë was here! But they had mentioned something about her playing the hostess to some important guests from the capital, and needing to keep them entertained before they thought to ask too many questions.

And anyway, she realized, even if the nice lady had been there, she had no time to be comforted, or “have some measure of rest”. She had to go back. Lord Amandil had heard her story, and he would strive to convince the Governor of Sor of her family’s innocence. But that would not include Zebedin, for he had tried to murder the Prince of the West. Only an eyewitness could disprove this, and considering that Lord Abdazer and his men had arrived late to the scene, it followed that only she and Gimilzagar had been there for the entirety of the event. They were the only ones who could claim that her cousin had not participated in the treasonous attempt, that he had merely rushed there after them to try to ensure her safety. Gimilzagar had promised her that he would say anything she wanted. After all, she had saved his life, and he was too decent to have her good deed repaid with something as horrible as her cousin’s death. But for him to know which words he had to support with his own testimony, she needed to be there.

“Where do you think you are going?” Lady Ilmarë asked. Fíriel noticed belatedly that she had stood up and gotten almost as far as the doorstep. Freezing in her tracks, she stared back at her, wondering what to say.

“I… I was going to…”

“To what? To sweep in at the last moment and save everybody?”

The lady’s wording was like a slap to her face, and Fíriel winced. Still, outright confrontation had the virtue to bring out some fiery side of her that the Royal Nurse had already awakened, not too many hours ago. Before she even noticed what she was doing, or wondered if this was a sound strategy, she was already blurting out her entire plan to Lady Ilmarë, trying to impress upon her the absolute necessity of her presence in the trial. As she rambled on, she saw the grey eyes widen in shock, then in incredulity.

“That – that is the most stupid, dangerous plan I have ever heard, and I have heard my share of them!”, she hissed, shaking her head as if she could physically dislodge this madness from her mind. “If you go back to that villa and lie to the Governor’s face, you will imperil the Lord’s efforts, not to mention bring grave suspicion upon yourself. And if you think that the Prince of the West is going to bear false witness before all those people only for your sake…”

Fíriel bristled at her arrogant condescension. What did she know?

“That is my risk to take, my lady”, she said, hard pressed to keep the politeness in her tone.

Lady Ilmarë’s eyes narrowed.

“No, it is not. You will stay here, and the gate guards will ensure that you do.”

“But then Zebedin will die!” And everybody would blame her for it, for choosing the abomination above her own people, her flesh and blood.

“That is none of my concern, nor should it be yours. He made his choice, and brought great harm upon those you love in the process. And upon you, girl. How can you possibly fail to see that they can still implicate you in the murder?”

“No, they won’t!” she argued hotly. “Gimilzagar would never allow it!”

It seemed to her, even in the middle of her turmoil, that the Lady Ilmarë was staring at her with something akin to shock.

What is he to you, exactly?” she whispered at last. Fíriel gaped; it was the last thing she had expected to be asked. And it was none of her business, too. But she was a lady, and Fíriel was in her house, and pretty much at her mercy, for Lady Lalwendë remained sequestered by her guests from the capital and everybody else was gone.

For the second time, her mind chose the worst possible moment to remind her of the kiss by the cliff. Though she looked aside in an attempt to hide her blush away, it was almost impossible that Lady Ilmarë had not seen it.

“If I - asked him to say that he started the fight, and that the others were only trying to defend themselves, he would do so.” She willed herself to answer her gaze without flinching, and her voice to remain even. To her surprise, she did not only succeed: it even came out more ardent than she had expected, as if Gimilzagar was some kind of shining hero instead of a spoiled prince who curled into a ball when a peasant approached them carrying a fishmonger’s knife. “I trust him absolutely, my lady.”

“Are you, by chance, aware of what they say about him?”

That, again. She shifted on her feet, uncomfortably. What was it with that woman? The whole conversation was a waste of time, did she think she could distract Fíriel from her purpose with this interrogation?

“I am not interested in rumours, my lady. Now, if you will give me leave…”

“I will not!” Lady Ilmarë hissed. “You will stay where you are, or I swear I shall have you bound.”

Suddenly, Fíriel had a desperate idea. Long ago, when she was a little girl, she had used it with the lady’s brother, Isildur, and it had worked. Perhaps it might work again.

“Once, Lord Númendil told me how my father had died. The house of Andúnië has a great debt towards him for his sacrifice. And now, his family is in danger!” Even as she spoke, she remained aware of the changes in the older woman’s countenance, which is how she realized that she had made a huge mistake. Instead of recognition or assent, Lady Ilmarë’s features creased first in disbelief, then in anger.

“Do not speak to me of your father! I do not owe him any debts, rather the opposite!” Her eyes burned like coals, so much that Fíriel was seized by an instinctive need to retreat. “I recognize your attitude. You might have been raised among peasants, but you still think that you can have your way in everything, that the world will have to bend to the intolerable pressure of your passions and your needs. This attitude has served you well with other people in the past, even, it seems, with one who could have the world bend to his needs if he so wished. But it will not work with me, Fíriel. “Her anger departed just as it had come, leaving nothing but a subdued yet deep emotion in their wake. “I am the one you inherited it from.”

It took a very long time for the meaning of those words to register in the girl’s mind. When it did, it took even longer until she decided it could not be a joke, or an elaborate ploy to keep her rooted to the spot instead of trying to find a way to escape. But even after she had discarded all those options, she still refused to believe in their fundamental truth.

“But my mother… my mother was…” she blabbered, thunderstruck at the realization that there were no arguments she could oppose, based on any certainties of her childhood. The most detailed information about her mother she had ever been given -that she had died after giving birth to her and was buried in Andúnië-, had come from this woman. Who, in one way or another, had been lying to her.

Slowly, her brain began uncovering associations, building connections from details, words, attitudes that until now she had never appreciated in their true context, or simply took for granted. All those afternoons of being chosen to accompany Grandmother to have tea in the mansion. Lady Lalwendë coming to visit her when she was a baby, fussing over her, like a grandmother, she remembered having thought naively. Lord Númendil, Lord Elendil, Lord Isildur’s attitude towards her. The grey eyes, those that Aunt had always wanted her to hide, though everyone had them up here.

“Why?” She was shaken to her innermost core of her being. She wanted to yell, to cry, but all she could do was whisper, as if she had a throat disease. Still, and though she had remained impassive through all of Fíriel’s previous attempts to upset her, Lady Ilmarë cringed at it. Her eyes were fixed upon the table, as if she had found a really fascinating pattern upon its surface.

“As you might have imagined, your father and I were not married”, she said at last, with studied calm. “Then, he went and got himself killed before he even knew I was pregnant. If he had known, perhaps he would have heeded my wishes and stayed with me, though this would have meant Isildur’s death, and perhaps the ruin of our family. But idle speculation is a dangerous pastime, not to mention the most useless.”

“So.” What was it with that voice, which did not even seem hers? “You sent me away in secret because nobody could know that you…”

“Not quite.” If the patterns on the wood had been lines of writing, the Lady Ilmarë would have had them all memorized by now. “That - played a part, but the true reason why I did it was because of something that the Queen said to me while I was pregnant. Did you know I used to be her lady-in-waiting? Well, one day, shortly after her husband had killed your father, she told me that she wanted my child. She would raise it herself as her son’s playmate. I was beside myself! I could see your terrible fate, imprisoned in the Palace, under the eye of your father’s enemies and the demon who serves them, a plaything for an abomination who had been born dead.” Suddenly, she broke into a fit of laughter, so strange that for a moment Fíriel thought she was crying. “And all for nothing! The Queen saw everything before it happened, and she tricked me. She wanted you away from me, defenceless, not to snatch you away by force, but to have a chance encounter by the seaside bloom into an inexorable thread of Fate. To think it was that idiot Anárion who was right all along! And all this time I could have… we could have…”

Now, she was crying, and it struck Fíriel that she could leave now and her jailor would have no time to react until she was well out of her reach. But she no longer remembered her purpose, her plans, even the pressing need to do something before it was too late. It was as if she was a puppet, and someone had cut all her strings but one, which barely held her as she hung from one side, revolving grotesquely around the same spot.

“I…” What could she say? What could anyone possibly say after finding out that their own mother gave them up to hide them from dangers which had found them in the end, if under a different guise than anyone could have expected? It seemed like something taken straight out of a convoluted tale, perhaps the tale of Túrin and Niénor, who had lived all their lives under a curse. Just like Túrin, she wanted to be angry, to do terrible things, but when she saw the woman breaking down before her, all she could do was to awkwardly strive to find something, anything to say. “My lady… I mean, M-mother.” Her voice almost failed at the word, which she had never uttered before. “It was- it was not for nothing, was it? If what you say is true, if you had kept me, the Queen would have claimed me. I would have grown away from you, and from Grandmother, and Aunt, and Uncle, and Zama, and…” Her cousin’s name choked her, and suddenly the misery of her current plight emerged again from the mists of the past which had obfuscated it. She had to escape this trap, before it was too late. She had to act. Now.

Meanwhile, Lady Ilmarë was recovering her composure surprisingly fast. She looked up, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. Upon meeting her glance, Fíriel grew aware of something that she could not have known before: that this woman would never allow her to cross the threshold of her house while she lived.

That was why they had left Fíriel in her company.

“Sit with me”, she ordered, her voice barely shaking anymore. “We have many things to talk about while… while they are out there. Hopefully, it will help keep our minds occupied.”

“But my family…” Fíriel protested. Lady Ilmarë’s look became grim, and her grey eyes heavy as lead.

“I have not told you all this so you can go ahead with your harebrained scheme and die on me like your father did” she hissed. “Now, sit.”

With great reluctance, the girl obeyed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil sighed, schooling his features into the expression of cordial subservience he had been perfecting over more years than he cared to count. His exalted lordship, the Governor of Sor, had appeared quite belligerent back when they both sat on the Council of the realm, but the former lord of Andúnië had learned long ago that those appearances hid a rather reasonable man, if a little too perilously susceptible to the influence of the louder factions of his council. No matter how hard he tried to keep his merchants contented, however, he remained distinctly aware of Amandil’s status, and of the flimsy arbitrariness of the fate which had put him, born the son of a common rich man with commercial interests on the mainland, above a great lord from the line of Indilzar. To have Amandil and Elendil bow before him flattered his vanity, so he had done his best to appear as their benefactor by granting them certain small requests which he did not see as threatening enough to his standing with the Sceptre. At the same time, he had not disdained the money and the aid which they furnished “as a humble contribution to embellish the East of the Island where we now have our home”, and though Amandil was not deluded enough to believe that this business relationship of sorts would be enough to withstand a strong attack, the extent of his manoeuvring room depended on his ability to pick his battles.

Now, for the first time in all these years, it was the battle which had picked him. A trial involving a murder attempt against none other than the heir to the Sceptre, perhaps the highest treason that could be committed in the kingdom of Númenor, was not a situation where negotiations were likely to be conducted, or favours repaid. No Númenórean official who cared for his own life would want to appear partial towards the would-be assassins, or be accused of sympathizing with them in any way. Moreover, if the accused were of the Faithful, anything resembling personal motives was unlikely to fly, leaving a dangerous opening for mass blaming and persecution to start. This was something that Amandil had feared since long ago, especially as the mutterings against the Prince of the West grew louder and inextricably linked to the Elf-friends’ opposition to the horrible ceremony of sacrifice. But so had the Governor of Sor, who was in charge of keeping law and order in the large territory where the Faithful had tried to build a home for themselves among those who gazed at them in suspicion. Even now, as Amandil bowed and greeted him, he looked like a mess of frayed nerves, and the lord of Andúnië knew that the news had hit him hard. If he was lucky, the Governor might see this meeting as a chance to broker a peace alliance of sorts between two potentially riotous populations. If so, he might have some room to manoeuvre, after all.

Still, Amandil’s greatest hope did not come from the man who stammered back his greetings, but rather from the youngster sitting at his side. From what he had heard, Prince Gimilzagar had turned out to have a very different role in this sinister play than anyone could have previously anticipated. He had strongly denied the involvement of Fíriel and the rest of Zebedin’s family in the plot, and even tried to have them released at once. The lord of Andúnië could well imagine the Governor’s puzzlement at this unexpected attitude.

“This is terrible business, Lord Amandil. Terrible, terrible business.”

“Indeed, my lord governor. But the Prince is alive and well, which brings great relief to my heart and that of all Númenóreans.”

The Prince of the West did not move, or show any signs of recognition, not even when his name was mentioned and Amandil bowed in his direction.

“Well- that is precisely the matter, is it not? Not all Númenóreans.”

“No, not all” Amandil conceded. “But those who do not are very few, I am certain.”

“That is not for us to determine, however.” The Governor looked up, as if muttering a prayer. “Thanks to the Great Deliverer, we will be delivered of this responsibility.”

Amandil stared at him. From the corner of his eye, he could see Gimilzagar shift his position a little, too.

“What do you mean with that, my lord governor? This ghastly affair happened in your jurisdiction, did it not?”

“Even the most exalted among us needs to bow to a higher authority. Under the eye of the Lord, we are all but humble servants.”

The lord of Andúnië did not like this talk at all. He was beginning to feel that this conversation was not going in the direction that he had intended.

“But they are going to be tried here, are they not?” he asked. The Prince was now staring at the Governor too, with an anxious look that, curiously enough, seemed to mirror Amandil’s own.

The Governor let go of a long breath.

“Yes, they are.” He almost looked apologetic when he said this. “But not by me.”

Gimilzagar’s anxiety turned into downright terror. Worried, Amandil wondered what could have set the strange Prince in such a state, but his bewilderment did not last long. A familiar cadence of footsteps behind his back made him turn abruptly in the direction of the Prince’s look, just as the Governor of Sor knelt on the floor and bowed low.

His stomach plummeted.

“I see that you are already gathered on the same room. Good.” Ar Pharazôn barked, surveying all three of them with a piercing glance. “Now, you are going to explain to me what on Earth has happened here.”

Lies

Read Lies

She had fought hard to keep it at bay, for hours in which her eyelids had grown heavier and her conversation had turned in increasingly smaller and repetitive circles, but in the end, sheer exhaustion had brought her to her knees. Since she awoke that morning in her cottage, Fíriel’s heart had been a constant battlefield of emotions. She had kissed for the first time, her life had been in danger, then her whole family, and just when she thought that there could be no greater upheaval, the very foundations of her existence had been shaken by an unexpected reveal.

When Ilmarë told her the secret that she had withdrawn for so long, she was not being animated by any warm or tender emotions. She had been afraid, for the first time in many years, at the thought that the foolish girl would throw herself at the jaws of danger like her father, and furious at the growing realization that they had been fooled by a far-seeing woman who had played with them as if they were puppets designed for her amusement. Still, the moment she saw Fíriel staring at her as if the ground had been pulled violently from under her feet, it had dawned upon her that their lives would no longer be the same. To her horror, she had seen the walls she had so painstakingly built around herself crumble like a sand castle when the tide rolled in, leaving her as defenceless as she had been on the day that a dying Isildur was brought back to the Andúnië mansion alone. No matter how many years she lived after this, Ilmarë would never be able to feel safe again, because now she knew how much of an illusion it had been.

Fíriel was a girl of strong passions, just like her mother had been once – still was. She had also inherited her father’s foolhardy impulsiveness. And she had been courting danger like a moth would a flame, at an age where neither of her parents had faced anything more challenging than ghost stories by the fireside at night. According to her, she and Gimilzagar had met long ago, when she was barely ten years old, and since then she had been dodging risks to herself, to him, and to her family. Though a mere peasant child, she had hit the Prince of the West on the face in front of his Guard, and then proceeded to tell Isildur that she did not welcome his protection unless it was on her terms. And somehow, she had been allowed to get away with all this, though Ilmarë suspected Ar Zimraphel to be behind most of this lack of repercussions. None of it was her fault in any case, Fíriel had claimed in outrage: it was Gimilzagar who had sought her, so insistently that there was nothing she could have done but give in to his spoiled whims, and that was what got her entangled in this whole affair. If she was to be believed, it was the flame who had courted the moth, who had only been trying to fly through the window.

Ilmarë did not think that this was a lie, but it was also evident that it was not the full truth. For Fíriel loved Gimilzagar, with a fierce, protective love which had withstood her self-proclaimed exasperation at his attitude, her awareness of his many weaknesses and shortcomings, and even her fearful uneasiness at everything and everyone who surrounded him. When she had thrown herself between the knife and him, she had not done it for her family or for Zebedin’s sake, as she claimed before them, or out of loyalty for the Sceptre, as Ilmarë had no doubt that she had claimed back in the Prince’s villa. Those considerations had come later, when the attackers were subdued and she was back to the game of juggling her loyalties in an increasingly frantic attempt to prevent any of the balls from breaking against the floor. Those older and wiser than her might have smiled at her clumsy attempts to deceive both others and herself, from the heights of their acquired self-control and experience. But if they had been in her situation, at her age, and subject to her circumstances, none of them would have managed much better.

She even thought that she could make the Prince support her claims against his own interests, Ilmarë thought, in repressed amazement. At first, she had considered this belief to be delusional, a foolish idea the girl had conjured up to shield her mind from the truth that there was nothing she could do to help her loved ones. Powerlessness was a terrible feeling, and as it turned out it could be felt just as acutely by those who should have been used to have no power since they were born. But no matter how many years Fíriel had spent among the lower rungs of society, they did not seem to have had much effect in that part of her nature. Either this, or some ancient power of her Haradric blood would not allow her to surrender under any circumstance, no matter how dire or hopeless.

Then again, Ilmarë thought gravely, it was no coincidence that all the oldest houses of the nobility had been brought to their knees or sent to exile under the rule of Ar Pharazôn the Golden- and she did not even want to think of what happened to the Haradrim who refused to surrender. Or of what would happen to this Zebedin, who also had the same Haradric blood flowing through his veins, to his stupid friends, to their families, and to hers.

No, Ilmarë did not want to think about this. Her daughter’s cheek was pressed against the wooden table, crumpling her features and giving her a childlike appearance in her sleep, and she experienced a feeling of great unreality as she laid a blanket over her shoulders. If her glance was not too sharp, or her awareness less poignant, she could even pretend that those years had never happened: that she had remained hers, learned to take her first steps in the ancestral home of her family, where she had finally fallen asleep after a long day of playing and exploring the world around her. But this was a dangerous fantasy, and indulging in it a form of self-torture. Those years were gone and so was the girl, ripped away from her by her own foolishness, which had fallen for a monster’s cold manipulation.

A plaything for the abomination. Ilmarë felt tempted to laugh bitterly at her own words, coming to mock her from the recesses of her memory. How could she have been so blind? The plaything had not been Fíriel, and the Prince had not been the abomination. Before the terrifying powers of the Queen of Númenor, the real abomination, all of them, Fíriel, Ilmarë, Malik, even Gimilzagar himself were nothing but playthings, some to be kept, perhaps even cherished, others to be discarded without a second thought.

Ilmarë was no match for Ar Zimraphel. Her confused dreams were not foresight, but a mere mockery of it that tortured her with riddles, whose meaning she would never be able to guess in time to save those she loved. The ruthlessness she had acquired in the last years was just a thin varnish to hide the passions burning deep within her soul. She was largely alone, surrounded by men who despaired of their own valour or opted for looking down and weathering the storm for as long as it lasted. If she listened to the raging transports of her soul, which demanded her to take revenge, to hurt that woman however she could, even if it was the last thing she ever did, she would be no different from those hapless peasants who had tried to strike at the Prince. Her fate would be the same as theirs, and the fate of those who surrounded her too. And all that suffering would be futile, as futile as her attempts to keep Fíriel safe because, she knew it now, against such an enemy there was no victory.

“Perhaps it is not possible to win, but it is still possible to survive”, a quiet voice spoke behind her. “For many who live in these times, there will be no greater victory.”

“Great-grandfather.” Ilmarë could not keep the anger away from her voice. Of all the cowards around her, he was the very worst, because he could have done so much more. “If you know so much about what will happen, why don’t you tell us? Why do you let us struggle on blindly, while refusing us an advantage which our enemies put to good use? What right do you have to do that?”

The infuriating man did not even flinch at her words; he only looked thoughtful.

“Foresight has terrible consequences. Those who use it as you say have merely decided to ignore those consequences, as a child will topple an anthill because it amuses him to watch the pitiful struggles of the tiny creatures under his gaze. But to me, men are not ants, and I would never be able to bring myself to see them as such.”

“Look at Fíriel!” she hissed. “Look at the situation in which she is now, and then tell me about children and anthills. If you are indifferent to the suffering of your own flesh and blood, how can you claim to care about other people?”

He did not flinch this time either.

“I am sorry, Ilmarë”, he said, with such vehement sadness that she was briefly shocked into silence. By the time that she opened her mouth to reply, he was already gone.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Ar Pharazôn had just reached Sor when the summons for the Governor came from Rómenna. It had been a regular trip, to supervise the arrival of tribute from the mainland and inspect the progress of fleet repairs, and yet it could not have happened at a worse moment for Amandil. For all the strategies he had carefully built to influence the Governor of Sor had been rendered useless, and the risks to anyone foolish enough to allow himself to be entangled in this perilous business had grown exponentially the moment the King stepped through that threshold. Even the Prince of the West seemed to think it was so, as he was fleeing his father’s glance and acting in a manner that reminded Amandil of those who had been paralyzed by a great anxiety.

As for Amandil himself, it was all he could do to keep his composure while he bowed and let the governor elaborate on his flowery greetings. Grovelling provided him with a good excuse not to look at his old friend too closely, which in these first moments proved essential enough to his struggle to keep his mind sharp and alert. It had been many years since the last time he had seen Pharazôn in that prison cell, and in that time Amandil, though he belonged to the long-lived line of the lords of Andúnië, had acquired quite a few wrinkles and grey hairs. The King, however, looked exactly the same as he had been at that time, no, younger, a voice whispered in his mind while he fought the horror that the quickest glimpse had been enough to awake in him. His face was flushed and full of life, even more so in his anger, as it had been back when he was a handsome young soldier fighting Orcs and barbarians in Harad. His chestnut curls had no hint of grey in them, nor was the golden skin of his brow wrinkled, and Amandil could not banish from his mind the terrible knowledge of the means which had rendered this artificial prolongation of youth possible.

Ar Pharazôn did not even look back at him. Before he came in, he must have been reading the report written by the captain of his Guard and the confessions of the would-be assassins, for, even before the Governor had finished speaking, his full attention was already focused on the Prince of the West.

“Who is this girl, Gimilzagar? And why were you alone with her when you were ambushed?”

Amandil’s heart sank. It would have been too much to expect that the role of Fíriel in this affair could have passed unnoticed, even to eyes less keen and suspicious than those of the King.

“Answer!”

Gimilzagar looked down, still as if under the effects of a daze. An observer who did not know the circumstances might almost believe him to be the culprit, instead of the victim of the attack. If he was not so afraid of what he might say, Amandil would have been tempted to feel sorry for him.

“She was… a girl from the village”, he muttered at last. “No one important.”

“And yet she was family to one of the attackers, and told them where they could find you.”

At this, Amandil could see a fleeting glimpse of spirit in the young man’s eyes. He looked up, his pale cheeks flushed.

“She had nothing to do with it! She even risked her life to save mine!”

Pharazôn’s eyes widened slightly, in what once upon a time Amandil had been able to recognize as one of his ways to express surprise. But whatever had surprised him, it could not be his son’s news, for he would have read them in the report.

“So, are you saying that an anonymous girl from the village who is no one important took it upon herself to act as your bodyguard, fought her own kin, and risked her life to save yours?”

“Y-yes”, Gimilzagar replied, fleeing his father’s glance again. Pharazôn shook his head.

“You are such a bad liar it is almost embarrassing to listen to you.”

The Prince blushed even more. Amandil did not expect him to speak again after this, and his mind began working furiously, searching for the best way to intervene and repair the damage. But before he could open his mouth, he was interrupted.

“She showed great loyalty to the Sceptre, Father. Even against her own kinsman!”

Pharazôn snorted contemptuously.

“You are not getting any better at it.” He paced around the room, and Amandil saw the Governor of Sor retreat an instinctive step when he approached him. “Very well, then. Since you do not volunteer it yourself, I will have to interrogate her family for more information.”

Gimilzagar grew very agitated at this – which was, of course, what Pharazôn had intended. Amandil watched on in impotence as he stood on his feet.

“No, Father, please! Fíriel’s family is innocent, leave them alone!”

The King stopped in his tracks.

“Fíriel, hm?” For the first time since his arrival, he turned towards Amandil. “She sounds like someone you might know.”

“I do”, he answered, knowing that Pharazôn was already aware of all this from Abdazer’s testimony, and hating him for it. “She is one of the exiles from the Andustar, and she has been in Rómenna for about ten years. An orphan, but adopted by kin. Her parents greatly revered the Lords of the West.”

“I see.” Ar Pharazôn seemed to be pondering something, but only for a brief moment. “The report states that she was brought here, and then fled mysteriously right after the healer tended to her wounds.” The Prince of the West cringed, a movement that Amandil was sure that Pharazôn had registered as much as he did. “Am I correct in my deduction that you know where she is now?”

The former lord of Andúnië had known Pharazôn for much longer than Gimilzagar, and so did not need the King to threaten Fíriel’s family to be aware of what was as stake if he gave the wrong answer.

“You are correct, my lord King. She… was under the impression that the rest of her family could suffer wrongly from their kinship ties with the accused, and so came to me for aid and protection, as many others before her.”

“I am aware of your delusions of still being the lord of a domain.” He turned towards the Governor of Sor. “Summon her from Lord Amandil’s house, I want to see her by myself.”

Once again, the Prince began to grow agitated, but this time Amandil managed to speak first.

“Perhaps I should be the one to go, my lord King. When she set foot in my house, I gave her my oath that I would not allow any harm to come to her. If you send your men, or the Governor’s men, my kinsmen and people might – misread the situation, and believe themselves bound to keep this oath.”

“When will you learn that offering protection that you cannot provide and swearing oaths that you cannot keep does not make you a hero, but a fool?”

“Father, please!” Gimilzagar could be restrained no longer; he looked very upset. “Do not hurt Fíriel, I…. I love her! I was lying before, and I am sorry, but I love her, I have always loved her!”

This time, Ar Pharazôn looked genuinely thunderstruck. So, if he was wholly sincere with himself, was Amandil, though he had known more about this than his old friend. A deep friendship forged between two children who came from different worlds had been unusual enough –not to mention poignantly familiar-, without love becoming part of the equation.

“Well.” The silence was almost deafening as the King pulled the mask back over his features. Amandil wondered if this weakness he had glimpsed would be a last hope to latch onto or, on the contrary, the wall against which all his attempts would inevitably crash. “Now I feel much better about this.”

“Please, my lord King, allow me to mediate. I will bring Fíriel to you myself, and she will gladly volunteer all the information you require. But things will go much more smoothly if she is made to understand that she does not stand accused of any crime, and that you are grateful to her for saving the Prince. I can see that he is feeling quite devastated after his terrible ordeal, and as a father, I know that, when our children are upset, the last thing that we wish is to bring further disruption to their world.”

He expected Pharazôn to be sarcastic or dismissive of his words, even to be brought back to heel like a dog whose barks had become too loud or annoying. What he had not expected was for the King to give him such a malevolent glare that it almost felt as if he had been physically struck.

“So be it”, he said. “Go. But no matter how hard you try, you cannot save everyone all the time, Amandil. Not even your Baalim can.”

The former lord of Andúnië swallowed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel did not object to being taken back to the villa. Whatever Amandil might have said in the presence of the Prince and the King, the girl would have jumped at what she mistakenly believed to be a chance to save her loved ones as easily as she had grabbed the knife intended for Gimilzagar, even if there had been no assurances involved. The foolishness of youth knew no bounds, he thought, unpleasantly reminded of his own past again.

Ilmarë, however, was another matter. To his great consternation, she had been so shaken at the girl’s disdain for the perils that surrounded her that she had sought to bind her with the very knowledge she had chosen to deny for so many years. Now, the gates were open and the long overdue flood could no longer be stopped: his granddaughter no longer cared for her honour, for the Queen, for revenge, or for anything beyond Fíriel’s immediate safety. She did not even care for the girl’s family, who, as she saw it, was as good as dead. Once she realized that she could not prevent her from departing, she made Fíriel swear that she would do nothing that could jeopardise her life in the slightest, no matter what she saw or heard. Not even if you see them die before your eyes, she hissed, making the girl so upset and terrified that Amandil had to lead her out by the arm.

“You must try to understand her. Your father was the love of her life, but he did not listen to her warnings, and he never came back”, he told her as they rode back to the villa, she with him on his horse, for she did not know how to ride and was too badly hurt to have done it properly anyway. Her body was very tense against his, not just from the strain on her injuries.

“I do understand how she feels. But my family is everything to me, too! I- I am not going to discard them just because I have another family now. No offense, my lord, but none of you taught me to swim, or catch shellfish, or was there wh-when I w-woke up at night with a n-n-nightmare.” Her speech dissolved into sobs, and for a while he could do nothing but hold her as comfortingly as he was able while keeping away from her bandaged area.

“I know. But you have to be strong, and keep your wits about you. Ilmarë’s advice was good: be careful and do not try to lie or pull schemes, or speak unless you are spoken to. The King will see through you, and the Prince won’t be able to save you.”

“B-but…”

“Not all is lost, Fíriel. I believe I can save your family. “Again, swearing oaths that you cannot keep, Pharazôn’s mocking voice insinuated itself into his mind. Or you think that because you do not word it as an oath you can back from it later, pretend that it was nothing but a miscalculation? “But you have to let me work. Anything you might try will only jeopardize my attempts. Do you understand?”

She did not answer.

“I heard some news before I came for you. It appears that the families of your cousin’s two friends were caught trying to flee. They wanted to reach Sor and take ship for the mainland. Your family, on the other hand, was home. Do you know what this means, Fíriel? They did not know. The only good thing that Zebedin did was not telling them, and now this contrast with the attitudes of the others will help their case.”

By itself, Amandil did not delude himself into believing that this evidence would matter much. He had seen enough to know that their attitude could be presented as wilful disregard of danger for the sake of their evil cause, or attributed to an attempt to act as accomplices and cover tracks, or something ludicrous of that sort. But if this hope gave her reason to keep her mouth shut, it would more than fulfil its purpose.

“And Zebedin?” she asked, after a while. Amandil took a long, very deep breath.

“You should forget about him. I am sorry, Fíriel.”

“I cannot do that!” The villa was already in sight, ensconced between tall walls in a hill that rose majestically over the sea. The former lord of Andúnië did not want to think about the things that might be taking place there at the moment.

“You can, and you will”, he said, helping her down the horse before a line of armed guards. His forehead curved in a stern frown. “For if you do not, you will not merely harm yourself, but also the rest of your family. They will only survive this if we play our parts well. Do you understand me?”

Fíriel’s gaze was lowered, and she muttered something that could be assent, but she still looked rebellious as she followed him inside.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Of the many wild guesses that Amandil had been forced to make in the last hours, the first to be proved right came as soon as they were brought again to the King’s presence. Fíriel’s eyes, so wide that they seemed about to leave their sockets when they were set on Ar Pharazôn’s countenance, did not pass unnoticed. It was only a moment before that Guard, Abdazer, forced her to kneel and look down, but that moment was all the King needed. He turned towards Amandil with a look of dawning comprehension.

"So”, he said. “Now, everything makes sense. A peasant with an Elvish name whom you shelter at your own home and try so hard to protect, even considering your penchant for taking foolish risks to save people, seemed a little too suspicious. Tell me, who is the father? Is it Isildur? It would be just like him to act so carelessly, even in the Island.”

Amandil shook his head. Since it had become obvious to him that he could not prevent Pharazôn from laying eyes on her, he had been pondering what he would answer to this question. He could nod along and confirm the King’s assumption about the black sheep of his family, but though Isildur might perhaps not object to it, Amandil could not allow this information to come out now and jeopardize his painstakingly built marriage alliances. To reveal the truth was, of course, out of the question, not merely because of Ilmarë’s honour, but because Pharazôn might be persistent enough to follow this thread further than any of them could afford. Elendil, on the other hand, was married, and Númendil too old; there was only one possible way out of this.

“She is mine, my lord King.”

“What?” Pharazôn had obviously not been expecting this. The shocked look he gave Amandil now was so reminiscent of older, happier times that it felt almost painful. Fíriel, on her part, briefly looked up from the floor to stare at him, but thankfully she said nothing. Only Gimilzagar did not have a visible reaction, though there was a slight frown in his countenance.

“This is the most shameful thing I have ever been forced to admit”, he said, willing every shred of conviction he could marshal into his voice. He looked down, with an embarrassment which was not as feigned as he had imagined it would be. “But after Amalket died, and Zigûr grew powerful in Númenor, I was feeling very out of sorts. Enough as to… do the unthinkable.”

“And not for the first time, if memory does not fail me.” Pharazôn’s shock was gradually turning into furious thinking. “Oh, Amandil, could this be the workings of Fate? Are our children destined to right our wrongs and forge new ties between our estranged houses? Will the sweet love of this girl triumph where your loyal friendship failed?”

The former lord of Andúnië knew better than to answer any of those questions, so he remained silent. Pharazôn, however, was having none of it.

“You knew about this since the beginning! Tell me, did you set them up to meet?”

“That is not what happened! I met her on the beach by chance. And Mother knew about it!”, Gimilzagar intervened, rather unexpectedly. Pharazôn’s glare turned towards him.

“Be silent, or an assassination attempt will be the least of your troubles.” But all the threats in the world would not be enough to unsay what had been revealed, and the King knew this as much as anyone else. He looked out of sorts, as if he was as close to leaving the room and riding back to Armenelos as he was to have them all join the ranks of the accused for high treason. It was now that he was at his most dangerous, Amandil mused, but at his most unguarded as well. “Look up, girl, and answer my questions. Is it true that you met the Prince of the West nine years ago?”

“Yes, my lord King”, she answered, withstanding his gaze quite well considering the circumstances.

“Where were you, then? Was someone with you?”

“I was gathering shellfish, my lord King. Down at the beach, by the rock pools. There was no one with me.”

“Was the Prince’s Guard present?”

“No, Father. I had… escaped their vigilance”, Gimilzagar said, forgetting the warning to remain silent.

“Leave the room.”

“But, Father…!”

“Remove him from the room”, Pharazôn ordered Abdazer, who rushed to obey in an obvious attempt to make amends for his past failings. Gimilzagar did not offer resistance, but he turned back one last time to look at Fíriel, kneeling on the floor.

“When did you know who he was?” the King continued, as if there had been no interruption. Fíriel took breath.

“Not at first, my lord King. But when I came home that night, I was told that the Guards had been looking for him, and I… guessed.”

Like this, she went on answering his queries for a long time, weathering his relentless quest for information that could validate his suspicions, and avoiding his traps with a skill that others might attribute to guile, but which Amandil realized was nothing but her determination, drilled on her by both Ilmarë and himself, not to speak anything but the truth. As long as the interrogation kept to the events of their first summer together and their later, innocent encounters, she did not seem to be at much difficulty. When Ar Pharazôn asked her about the circumstances leading to the assassination attempt, however, things changed. She took much longer to think her answers, looked out of sorts, and sought Amandil’s glance often, as if seeking confirmation. She also began to shift around, as if trying to find the least painful position to kneel on the hard floor, and nurse her injured arm. Perhaps she thought that she might be cut some slack for this, though she was very mistaken. If Amandil was able to read Pharazôn correctly, that she was not being tortured at this very moment was already enough of a concession as far as he was concerned.

Not for the first time, he prayed to Eru and all the Valar that the girl would not even think of disregarding his instructions at any point. Though she seemed to be growing aware enough of the gravity of the situation, if she became too nervous this could prove just as damning as an excess of daring.

“So, you claim that you had not told your cousin about where you were going. That he merely overheard you that morning.”

“Y-yes, my lord King.”

“Then, are you implying that the whole attempt to murder the heir to the Sceptre in cold blood hinged on a chance event? That it was unpremeditated?”

“I d- well, I mean, I don’t… “She shook her head, as if furiously trying to focus. “I don’t understand the question, my lord King.”

Amandil saw prudent to intervene.

“The King wants to know if you think that they only decided to kill the Prince that very morning, when Zebedin heard where you were going.”

“I do not know what they were thinking, my lord King. But…” She hesitated for a long time, then looked down, only to continue in a much lower voice. “They were never too clever.”

Pharazôn chose not to comment upon this.

“Did you receive any indication whatsoever that they, or anyone else, wished the Prince dead? Before they came in with the knives?”

This question came very near to undoing Fíriel. She went pale, then flushed, then repressed a groan as she moved her arm too abruptly in an unadvised change of position.

“Not in my family’s house, never!” she said, in agitation. “Please believe me, my lord King, I am not lying!”

“I did not say that you were”, Pharazôn remarked coldly. “Interesting. According to Abdazer, your family claims the same as you, and even the families who were trying to buy passage in a ship for the mainland claim the same as you. And yet your cousin and his friends somehow acquired the idea that the Prince was an abomination who had to be destroyed. Where do you think they could have acquired it?”

This question seemed to Amandil to be directed towards him, so he took his cue to answer.

“Some… people have been led to believe that the Prince is a malevolent spirit out of ignorant superstition. They think that Zigûr brought him to life…”

“… and keeps him alive with the help of sacrifices”, the King finished, ignoring the girl’s gasp from the floor. “Sacrifices whom every loyal Númenórean has accepted and attended for decades now –except here in Rómenna, and in Pelargir. I wonder why that is. I wonder what could be the thread connecting all those things.”

Amandil did his best to remain calm.

“You swore that you would never persecute my people for their beliefs.”

“The moment those beliefs include that my son is a monster who should be eliminated…”

“Only a few think like this!”

“… and they even give them the evil courage to act upon it, it is not a matter of faith anymore! It is a matter of State, and I must treat it as such!” Pharazôn continued, as if he had not even heard his interruption. Amandil shook his head.

“Murdering people has never been part of the beliefs of the Faithful, my lord King. Those young men were just bitter because they were forced to abandon their former homes, and their frustration caused them to be led astray!”

“By whom? Tell me, Amandil, by whom?” The King’s voice had almost turned into a yell now. “Give me the name of this instigator, and then I will believe you!”

Can’t you even see it? You are the instigator. You brought Sauron to Númenor, darkened every temple with the fumes of your horrible sacrifices and plunged the world into a darkness greater than the reign of the former Dark Lord. Your rule has brought the displacement of thousands of innocents in the Island and the death of hundreds of thousands beyond the Sea. Did you think that even you could remain invulnerable before such a monstrous accumulation of hatred? Have you truly grown so deluded?

“There is no instigator”, he replied, suddenly feeling very tired. “Just a few malcontents willing to resort to desperate measures, who were ‘never too clever’, as Fíriel said. From what I have heard, the Prince invited trouble by instructing his Guard to stand aside and giving them the slip. Greatness often excites envy and discontent, as you very well know, and his behaviour was reckless.”

“That is why I am interrogating your precious bastard, Amandil.” Pharazôn’s voice was lowered now, but this calm was largely deceptive. “She made him act recklessly. I am trying to determine whether this was done in collusion with her people, or if they merely used her without her knowledge. Her wound was deep enough, according to the healer, as to make me favour the second option, which is why we are only having a friendly conversation here. But so far, she is the only inhabitant of this hellhole who has given me any reason to feel merciful.”

Liar, Amandil thought. In the middle of this situation, it felt strangely comforting to still be able to read his old friend better than Pharazôn was able to read him. But Kings had much less training in suppressing their emotions than exiled lords who grovelled in provincial courts and were called upon to speak on behalf of criminals.

Meanwhile, Fíriel’s difficulties at grasping the intricacies of learned language had not prevented her from understanding the gist of Pharazôn’s implications. She had been leaning on her good hand for a while, but now she took it away from the floor, sat back with a wince and stared at him in great alarm.

“My people did nothing, my lord King! They were not using me, they were innocent! It was only Zebedin who....” Her eyes widened in horror upon realizing that she had accused her cousin. At long last, she started sniffling, and tears trailed down her cheeks, which Amandil was tempted to look away from. He could not afford these distractions. “B-but he is an idiot, he was led by the others!”

“Oh, he is an idiot! That settles the matter, I suppose, I will have him freed now”, Pharazôn snorted. Amandil took a step forwards.

“Please, my lord King, she has also suffered a great ordeal, and the wounds she received are still fresh. She has already given you all the information she has, perhaps you could let her rest now.”

To his shock, it was Fíriel herself who opposed this idea.

“No! Wait! I still have something else to say!” she cried, furiously wiping her tears away. “It was all my fault! Gimilzagar came to Rómenna because of me! They resented him because of me! And he also told his Guard to stay away because of me! So kill me instead, my lord King, and your son will never be in danger again! My family will not be a threat to him!”

Amandil’s blood froze. There it was, he thought in dismay, exactly what he had feared the most. If Ilmarë had been here, she might have slapped her, in front of the King and all.

Pharazôn’s frown was back on him.

“Amandil, teach your brat that trying to tell me what to do is not likely to end well for her”, he hissed. “And get her out of my sight.”

“Come, Fíriel.” He knelt to help her up, for her legs were already too stiff for her to do it without help, and she could not use one of her arms. She tried to protest, but he threw her a quelling look.

As they emerged through the threshold, he intended to tell the Guard on duty that she had to be looked after and supervised, but making clear that she was not to be counted among the prisoners. But the first face he met was that of the Prince of the West himself, who had been standing at the other side of the door for what seemed like the entire time.

“Oh, Fíriel”, he sighed in relief, trying to embrace her without exerting pressure on her wounds. Though he had already been able to glean many things about the true nature of their relationship, this tenderness still amazed Amandil.

“I will entrust her to you, my lord prince”, he said. “I believe the King is not done with me yet.”

The frown which had darkened his features at the start of the interview was back on Gimilzagar’s brow again.

“Why did you lie to him?”

Amandil considered him at length before replying.

“For the same reason as you, my lord prince. To protect those I care about.”

Gimilzagar seemed to be thinking hard about this. His brow grew even stormier.

“It is useless, Lord Amandil. In the end, everything will be known. It always is.”

Trying not to feel out of sorts by the Prince’s warning, which made him think of the Queen, Amandil bowed and returned to the King’s presence. Pharazôn was gazing at the window, his back to him, but he heard him enter.

“Ah, here you are again. Where were we? I see no reason to target the girl, beyond forbidding this foolish love story to continue. You know that nothing good has ever come from allowing our families to mix. Tar Palantir brought Númenor to the brink of destruction with his foolish dreams, you betrayed our friendship, and now this Fíriel almost got my son killed. Which brings me to the next issue at hand. Can you see the thread? The famous thread.” A shiver crossed Amandil’s spine as Pharazôn turned a cold look towards him. “Behind all those actions, there was not merely a grey-eyed fiend from your lineage, but a matter of faith, of your faith. Its potential for wreaking havoc and destruction appears to be infinite.”

“The great majority of the Faithful are peaceful folk, my lord King.”

“Perhaps. Perhaps not. Would you be ready to vouch for them?”

“I will be responsible for them. I will make sure that nothing like this ever happens again.”

“How arrogant and deluded of you. Age is not doing you any favours, Amandil,“ Pharazôn snorted, before sobering up. “I am not going to destroy all the so-called Faithful living in the Island. But from now on, I will destroy anyone who tries to worship their Western devils anywhere in the Island outside Rómenna, and in the mainland outside Pelargir. I will destroy anyone who refers to the Prince as an abomination or wishes him any harm, which includes opposing the ceremonies which ensure his continued existence. And I will destroy those who have tried to harm him now, with their families and whoever might have partaken in their treason by support or omission. The heir to the Sceptre will walk safely on the land of his fathers, Amandil, no matter how many people have to die for it.”

Amandil feigned indifference at those words.

“I see. You must be very certain that your protection of your son will be effective, my lord King, if you are even willing to have him hate you forever over it. That is a noble sacrifice, indeed.”

Pharazôn stiffened at this, which served as belated proof for the second of his assumptions.

“That is none of your concern. My son is too young and sensitive to understand the world yet, but one day he will.” He took a sharp breath. “And he will forget about that girl.”

“Your son might forget their childhood friendship. He might forget her kiss. He might forget that he ever loved her”, Amandil pressed on, relentlessly. “But he will never forget that, of all the people who have ever shed their blood so that he could live, the only one to ever do so willingly was unjustly robbed of her loved ones by your command, and lived only to regret her good action for the rest of her life. I have seen his eyes, and I tell you, my lord King, he will never forget that.”

Pharazôn’s features were flushed in anger now.

“And why should I care? I am King of the World! I have no time to waste with petty feelings!”

Amandil did not flinch, nor did he take his gaze away, like a man lost in the wilderness might try to hold the glance of a bear whose slightest swipe of its claw could gut him alive.

“I think that you do care, my lord King.”

“Go away. “His former friend’s eyes looked old, in striking contrast with his unnaturally rejuvenated face. But even through this renewed awareness that he was having affair with a monster, somehow, a part of Amandil felt sorry for him. “Leave my presence.”

He bowed, and took his leave in silence.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The outcome of Amandil’s intervention was bittersweet, which was the closest to success that any of them could hope for in these dark and hateful days. The three would-be assassins were condemned to die, together with all of their relatives, as their clumsy attempts to flee were considered proof that they had been aware of their intentions and yet failed to stop them, which was guilt enough. The oldest among them was a hundred and twenty-six; the youngest, fifteen. To the horror of many besides Amandil, the King decreed that they would be sacrificed to Melkor on the temple of Sor, and their lives used to extend that of the Prince even longer. The former lord of Andúnië was certain that Ar Pharazôn was doing this to bait other potentially rebellious Faithful into “opposing the ceremonies which ensured the Prince’s continued existence”, which according to his new laws was also proof of treason. Even someone as prudent, and as unlikely to be sympathetic towards the Faithful as the Governor of Sor came dangerously close to it when he tried to protest that the traitors were still Númenóreans. To this the King had merely shrugged and stated “Not anymore”, with such a cold indifference that the man was rendered speechless.

On the other hand, Fíriel’s family was found innocent and released. The main reason adduced for this was that the girl’s brave defence of the Prince had earned them the King’s goodwill. Behind that wording, aside from the obvious political implications, Amandil recognized his old friend’s clumsy attempts to establish a better relationship with his son, though the former lord of Andúnië had seen enough to doubt that those efforts would ever meet with much success. Before Pharazôn had become King of the World, Amandil would have sworn that he was destined to be a good father, if he ever settled down enough as to be blessed with offspring. Now, however, it was unlikely that the remaining vestiges of his humanity would be enough to satisfy Gimilzagar’s desperate need for love, in a world that cursed his name even as it knelt at his feet. One could try to blame Sauron, but even recognizing his hand in these events, he found, did not make Pharazôn any less guilty. For the first time, it struck Amandil that his past fears that the man who once was his friend would be put in a trance by the fiend’s evil magic had hidden a twisted brand of wishful thinking.

Meanwhile, Fíriel spent most of her time crying. She had cried when she embraced her grandmother, who looked fifty years older than she had a mere three days ago, but whose scarred face, once again, showed an admirable resilience before the harsh tests of life. She had cried when she embraced her aunts, uncles and cousins, and even more when her aunt, the one who had raised her, yelled at her and told her that it was all her fault. She cried also when she took her leave from Gimilzagar, whom she still loved, though those with a similar nature to her aunt would have been tempted to blame him for what had happened. And most of all, she cried when her surrogate brother –a foolish idiot with the brains of a pea, she repeated many times, almost incoherently- was slaughtered and his body burned like an animal carcass in the altar of Melkor.

At that point, she had already sought temporary refuge in the house at the cliff, for she could not bear to face her aunt, not even the rest of her kin who did not blame her openly, and thanked her many times for helping establish their innocence. Amandil did not hold many illusions that her new status as his bastard would not reach the ears of the whole Island soon, for Pharazôn would not waste the opportunity to attack his reputation, but at least it had provided him with an excuse to take her in. His family welcomed her, especially Lalwendë, who was able to coddle her to her heart’s content at last, though Amandil seemed to have become her new favourite, lending credence to the rumours that he himself had contributed to spread. And yet, the only one of them who sat in her room at all times, even when she spent whole days crying and refusing to speak to anyone, was Ilmarë. She did not say anything, just sat there, looking at her with eyes that brimmed with a painful understanding.

“When will this be over?” Amandil found himself asking one day, as he stood in the gallery and gazed at the two women from afar. To any other listener, it might have seemed as if he was referring to Fíriel’s state, and some perhaps could have taken his words as a criticism of her excessive wallowing in her woes, but his father, as always, understood the real meaning behind them.

“For a few among us, one day”, Númendil replied, his tone darker than it had ever been in his son’s presence. “For many others, never.”

Amandil shivered.

After Effects

Read After Effects

 

“Ar Pharazôn, Face of Melkor, Protector of Númenor and the colonies, Victor of Mordor, Harad and Rhûn and King of the World!”

The King advanced, his glance trailing across the sea of bowed heads in search of a sign of the missing dark hair. The wretch was not inside the Council room either, which was the last straw he had been clutching at. The honour and responsibility of being an appointed councilman of the realm seemed to have gone over his head without penetrating his thick skull, just as so many other things before it.

Ar Pharazôn sat, nodding absently while the men in the room made their obeisance to him, headed back to their seats –where the single empty spot appeared even more glaring after all the others had been filled-, and began exposing the issues they had come to discuss. His mind, however, was working so restlessly that he was unable to focus on their inane droning. When Iqbal of Hyarnustar finished stammering through a petition, and he realized that he had not taken in a single word of it, he gave up and stood back on his feet. The young Southwestern lord’s face became pale, and he flinched instinctively.

Pharazôn gazed at him in vague disgust. Once upon a time, this man had been braver, even brave enough to oppose Pharazôn’s claim to the Sceptre. In times of civil strife, one could not afford to destroy all his enemies, so he had needed to make sure that Iqbal would never think of defying him again. Still, perhaps somewhat irrationally, he could not help blaming the man for being so easy to break.

Ignoring him, he beckoned towards the High Priest of Melkor - who, as always, seemed to know what he would say even before he opened his mouth.

“Zigûr, take my place for this session.”

As the blue-eyed creature stood on his feet and walked towards the centre of the semicircle, there was a small stir, but no one raised his voice to object. Since Zigûr had been appointed to fill Amandil’s place in the Council, the level of contentiousness he could expect from its members had dwindled drastically, both because his former friend had been the most contrary voice, and because his remaining colleagues were too scared of Zigûr’s ability to see through their intentions and scrutinize their thoughts. Ar Pharazôn had the feeling that many of them would withdraw their petitions for this session, only so they would not have to voice them before the former Lord of Mordor.

After he had left the Council room, the King did not waste more time. As fast as if he was on his way to put on his armour after the sentinels had alerted him of a surprise attack, he walked past galleries, courtyards and corridors, until he found himself before the gates of the West wing of the Palace. The guards instantly moved aside to let him in, though as soon as he set foot on the threshold a bunch of women came in to take their place, headed by that old hag Zimraphel had chosen to head the Prince’s household when he was a child.

“Is the Prince inside?” he demanded. She looked troubled, but stood her ground.

“Yes, my lord King.”

“And what is he doing there, instead of in the Council room, where he was being expected? Perhaps he has some urgent business to take care of, so he cannot be bothered with idle pastimes such as listening to the highest dignitaries of the realm?”

“He is…” Her gaze was lost in the patterns of the tiles on the floor, and suddenly he realized that her distracted mood did not have his presence as the only cause. “He is not feeling well, my lord King.”

Pharazôn frowned, unable to understand this at first. Not feeling well. Those were words he had grown familiar with in the past, a recent past maybe, but made distant in his mind by the security that it would never return.

“What do you mean, ‘not feeling well’?” he asked, clinging to the hope that it might still be some sort of misunderstanding. But the Royal Nurse shook her head in silence, and as he walked past her, she made no move to follow or even call after him.

When he entered the room, the first thing that struck him was the insidious smell that he had come to identify with debilitating illness, with weakness and endless worry – the smell that had followed his child everywhere when he was younger, which Pharazôn had tried to escape by climbing the highest mountains and seeking the farthest edges of the world.

Gimilzagar was lying on his bed. He did not look as terrible as those other times, but his pale forehead glistened with sweat, and his cheeks were unnaturally flushed by the effects of a fever. Zimraphel was sitting by his bedside, gazing ahead with an absent look that was not even animated by a spark of recognition as Pharazôn came in. Though he was the sick one, it was their son who first noticed his presence, and greeted him warily.

“What happened? What is the meaning of this?” He was not speaking in a voice louder than the one he had used outside, but in this place it sounded thunderous. “You are not supposed to be sick!”

An ignorant observer might think him unfair for delivering those words with an accusatory edge to his tone. But in this room, they all knew very well what Pharazôn meant. Once a year, people were sacrificed to the Deliverer so Gimilzagar’s forces would be renewed, and though he had never become nearly as strong as his father would have wanted, at least he had been of good health. Now, it was barely half as long since those Baalim-worshipping conspirers had been burned in the altar of the temple of Sor, and Gimilzagar was prostrated in his bed.

Had it been a mistake, an error of calculation to pretend that those souls, so wilfully and unrepentantly bent in revenge against the Prince, could ever augment his forces? Back then, he had voiced his doubts to Zigûr, who had reassured him, claiming that souls were souls and their former owners had no say in what was done with them once they forfeited them. Had the High Priest been proved wrong for the first time since he set foot on Númenor?

A man who chooses to believe in the devil receives no sympathy when he is deceived, the annoying voice of Amandil whispered in his mind. You may be King of the World, and yet you can be brought to your knees so easily that the fiend who fed this garbled knowledge to you could boast of being its true ruler.

“This is not Zigûr’s fault”, Zimraphel spoke, interrupting his thoughts.

“Then whose fault is it? Mine?” He began pacing around, and Gimilzagar looked away, as if his brusque movements made him upset or dizzy. “Am I not doing enough?  Tell me what else do I have to do? Does Gimilzagar need a hundred souls? A thousand? A million?”

This got his son’s attention at once. In shock, he turned towards him again, and began shaking his head.

“No!” he shrieked. Struggling to an upwards position, he sought his glance with what he seemed to believe was a firm look, which was sadly belied by his trembling voice. “I will get better on my own. I will get better, just you see, but please, Father, don’t!”

Gimilzagar had always been too sensitive, partly due to those abilities he had inherited from his mother. But it was not as if Pharazôn forced him to participate in the sacrifices, or even watch them. Since he had to be led away from the Temple when he was ten, the first ceremony he had attended had been last summer, in the temple of Sor. That time, it had been simply unavoidable, as everybody had to see with their own eyes that he was alive and well, and that he stood triumphantly before the altar while his enemies perished one after another. Still, with the exception of the would-be murderer himself, none of the others had belonged to the family of that girl he had taken a fancy to. Pharazôn had let them go for his sake alone, even at the risk of making Amandil think that he had got one over him. Gimilzagar should have been grateful for that and bear the rest with good grace, and perhaps learn his lesson not to lower his guard so foolishly ever again. Whenever Pharazôn thought that a wretched fishmonger from the Andustar could have killed his only son as easily as a drunkard was stabbed by a robber on his way home from the tavern, he was so angry that he could not even bear to look at him, much less listen to his whining.

“You cannot get better on your own”, he said, forcing his voice to remain calm. “This is something that your mother and I have known since you were a young child.”

But this time, Gimilzagar would not be so easily deterred.

“Is that something that you truly know? Or is it merely that you have… trusted Lord Zigûr’s word on it?” Pharazôn’s eyes widened at this unexpected show of nerve, and for a moment he was too surprised to say anything. “What if he wants you to think I will die so you will have to keep sacrificing people? What if I do not die at all?”

Behind him, Zimraphel’s eyes gleamed with an unreadable emotion.

“There it is, Pharazôn. You will find no fault in the process, or in he who counselled it to you. Those souls had no choice, but he who is meant to receive them always does. And the poor child’s heart is struggling right now.”

Gimilzagar looked down, his hands twitching in trepidation. Pharazôn wanted to shake him, but Zimraphel would never have allowed it. As a matter of fact, he thought, he would have wanted to shake her, too. She had promised that she would protect him, but all she had done was coddle him, spoil him, and put him in danger. And then, instead of feeling ashamed for her mistakes, she sat upon the throne of her superior insight, telling him what he should or should not do. If he was such a terrible father, and she such an excellent mother, how come that he was the one doing everything to keep Gimilzagar alive? Where would the boy be without him now?

I will destroy anyone who refers to the Prince as an abomination, or wishes him any harm, which includes opposing the ceremonies which ensure his continued existence, his own words in Rómenna came back to haunt his mind. Perhaps there should have been an added provision to this law, he thought ironically, in the case that the Prince himself opposed the ceremonies which ensured his own existence. But what punishment could there be for this, what actions could be taken without paradoxically incurring in the same crime?

“Fine”, he hissed. “I see that you wish to make an experiment. Well, why not? You want to settle this business once and for all, so be it! I will let you recover your health on your own. I will not move a single finger to help you, until you are well and truly certain that you have discovered the ultimate truth of this matter. Do not fear, for you are my only heir, and I will never let you die. But if you choose to do this, know that I will not intervene a week from now, when you are writhing in pain and crying for help. I will not intervene a month from now, when you are unable to move, staring at the ceiling and blubbering deliriously. Only when you do not have a voice anymore, in about two months’ time, and you can no longer do anything but struggle to force a tiny portion of breath inside your choked lungs, I will intervene and save you. Is that what you want? Go ahead, tell me now while you still can!”

Gimilzagar was pale-skinned, but now his face looked as white as if all the blood had entirely left his body. Zimraphel grabbed his hand for comfort, though, to Pharazôn’s mystified surprise, she did not say anything at all. That is it, he thought in dawning realization, stay silent so you do not have to admit that I am right. Pretend that I am the monster.

“No”, Gimilzagar whispered, in such a pitifully low voice that Pharazôn was hard pressed to hear it. He looked more ill than mere moments before, as if the shame of his surrender had seeped his remaining forces away. “Th-that is not wh-what I want.”

“Will you let me help you, then?” Pharazôn insisted, though a part of him was beginning to hate himself for it. “Will you admit that the actions taken by Lord Zigûr and myself are necessary to keep you alive, and resist them and question them no longer?”

This ‘Yes’ was not even voiced; it was merely insinuated by Gimilzagar’s parched lips, without any sound coming from them. He seemed about to burst into tears, and Pharazôn swallowed, his anger mysteriously spent.

“I much prefer it that way”, he nodded, doing his best to convey in his voice and in his countenance how far watching his son suffer was from his idea of a pleasurable pursuit. He did not know if he had succeeded, for the young man’s gaze did not meet his again. Instead, he turned towards Zimraphel, who took the hand she was holding, kissing it several times.

Before he turned away to start organizing the ceremony, she looked up towards him, and for a brief instant he surprised an apologetic look in her dark eyes.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Who is there?”

Fíriel stopped washing the dishes and gazed in the direction of the door, making an effort to listen to any sounds coming from that direction. She could hear nothing, but she was too familiar with Grandmother’s instincts as to dismiss them outright, so she wiped the soap away from her hands and walked towards the old woman’s chair.

“Probably just the Lady Ilmarë, Grandmother. She said she would visit today.”

“Are you sure?” she insisted, looking at the door in apprehension. Fíriel took the wrinkled hand in hers, and caressed it.

“Yes, Grandmother, I am.”

It should be either that, or the local kids sneaking in to smear mud on the laundry hanging outside, leave shit in the porch or throw dead animals into their well. The day that the Númenórean Sceptre decided to come looking for them, she doubted that they would have to strain their ears to hear the soldiers coming. But those rational arguments were no longer enough to keep the woman sitting next to her from flying into a panic.

Once upon a time, Fíriel had looked up to her grandmother as a model of unshakeable strength and kindness. Though she had been alone since long before the girl was born, living off the charity of her descendants and their families, she had always borne her situation with good grace, never regretting her choices. For Fíriel, she always had a smile, a tale, an encouraging word, an admonishment not to let the world get the better of her or her childish fears cloud her mind. That was why it was so hard to see her like this now, jumping at the slightest noise and waking her up with her nightmares. Eldest Uncle was not sure of what had broken her, for she had not been physically harmed nearly as much as them, but Fíriel had her suspicions, which increased every time that she heard her speak the name of Father in her dreams. Her grandson’s death had been harrowing enough, but to suddenly have it dawn in her mind that this was how her dearest son had died, instead of just killed while fighting the Guards as she had been told for all those years, would have been mind-numbingly devastating.

Almost as much as it was to know that all her other sons, daughters, grandsons and granddaughters could suffer the same fate just as easily, Fíriel thought with a shiver. According to the new laws, anyone who opposed the sacrifices was a traitor, and though this did not criminalize the beliefs of the Faithful directly, it made it very hard for them to discuss anything connected to their faith without entering a slippery territory. Since the events surrounding the death of Zebedin, moreover, they had become a watched family for both sides of the conflict. Lord Amandil had informed them that the Governor of Sor had been ordered to keep an eye on their movements, but Fíriel would not put past some of her own neighbours to make up something against them. They saw her family as little better than traitors, only behaving politely to them because of Lord Amandil’s authority –or at least the parents, for the children drove them crazy with their malicious pranks. And though most would be genuinely ashamed to even consider betraying one of their own to their common enemy, some were twisted enough to convince themselves that they deserved it, Faithful or not. The King had made sure that neither of Zebedin’s companions had any family left, but they still had friends, for whom Fíriel was the abomination’s whore.

In the end, all this hostility, and the risks it entailed, had been enough to convince Aunt and Uncle to board Lord Amandil’s first ship stopping at Pelargir, taking a kicking and struggling Zama with them. Most of her kinsmen and kinswomen had gone with them, leaving only Grandmother –who was not in a proper state to start a new life in the mainland- and Eldest Uncle with his family, for he considered himself responsible for her. Fíriel had moved in with them as soon as she got wind of her state, though her goal was to convince the old woman to follow her to the house up the cliff one day.

The pressure in her hand tightened suddenly, jerking her away from her musings. This time, she could hear the sound of footsteps herself, stopping at their door, and then, with a few moments of delay, a knock on the door. Gently disentangling herself from the old woman’s grip, she went to open it.

“Good morning, my lady” she bowed, trying to scrutinize the landscape beyond in search of possible listeners. “Grandmother, the lady Ilmarë is here!”

“You have excrements all over your doorstep”, her mother remarked, with a look of disgust.

“Oh, dear, I am so sorry! I will make sure to clean it before your ladyship leaves” she apologized, as if she was the one who had smeared it. Carefully, Ilmarë raised her skirts and tiptoed over the mess to get inside.

“This should not be tolerated”, she declared with an angry frown. Fíriel shrugged, a little too despondently.

“They are just kids. Kids do not follow rules.”

“But they follow their parents”, Ilmarë retorted. “I will have Grandfather speak to them.” Then, before Fíriel could say anything else, she turned towards her grandmother. “Well met, Mistress Amal! I am glad to see you in good health. Mother apologizes for not being able to come, but she has been having her hands full with her guests. She gave me cakes for you.”

“That was very kind of her”, the old woman smiled, looking for a moment like her old self. “Fíriel, take them. I will not mind if you steal a few”, she added in a stage whisper.

Fíriel rolled her eyes as she took the package from her mother’s hands and put it away. Meanwhile, the other women made small conversation about the weather, the crops, the state of the Sea this winter, and Lady Lalwendë’s pains to accommodate the whims of two Armenelos ladies who had camped in her house with their servants while they waited for their fiancés to return from their overseas venture.

When Fíriel came back with refreshments, they were still talking about this, and she found herself listening in while they discussed the late Lord of Sorontil’s daughters. Not long ago, she had been there when Isildur and Anárion departed, taking most of her family with them, and even in the middle of her own grief, she remembered feeling a little flabbergasted at Lady Irissë’s loud sobbing. Perhaps she should have sympathized more, as remembering her own farewell to Gimilzagar never failed to bring tears to her eyes despite everything else which had happened. But Gimilzagar had been banned from ever returning to Rómenna, while Isildur would be back in a few months. And Gimilzagar had looked devastated, as if he would never be happy again and had nothing left to live for, while Isildur – well, he did not seem too upset, to be honest, except from sheer embarrassment.

The gossip of the women, however, proved that she was far from the only one to remark upon the lady’s behaviour. Fíriel’s mother claimed that she would never say anything of the sort in her family’s house, but that she would have been quite amused at her brother’s plight if not for the suspicion that Isildur would keep finding excuses to sail away and leave her to deal with his soon-to-be wife. Then again, she conceded, the woman was not really a bad sort, if one was in the mood not to pay heed to her endless chattering and her theatrics. Her sister, on the other hand, was a demon in the shape of a woman. Only Anárion liked her, which just proved how odd he had always been. Since she arrived, she had begun by registering her polite astonishment at how haphazardly their household was organized, and offering “suggestions” on how to improve it. When she was indulged enough to grow bolder, she started phrasing her suggestions like orders, and Lady Lalwendë had been forced to put her foot down. But she was not merely proficient in womanly matters, oh no. She had also expressed interest in “learning about their political struggles, as a future member of the family”, and on more than one occasion she even had the evil courage to tell Lord Amandil what he should do – and Anárion had supported her!

“Oh, my, how shocking!”, Grandmother exclaimed. Fíriel loved to see her like this, so entertained by the conversation that she did not even seem to remember her troubles anymore. She would gladly have remained there for the entire duration of the visit, listening to them talk animatedly about inconsequential things. At the same time, however, she had the definite suspicion that her mother had not come down the cliff alone merely to exchange gossip with Fíriel’s grandmother.

Just as she had feared, Ilmarë was waiting for an opportunity to talk to her in private. When Fíriel’s aunt returned from her shopping, she provided her with a good excuse. Leaving her to tend to her mother-in-law, Ilmarë motioned to Fíriel to follow her towards the tiny backyard, where their grain reserves were stored safely away from thieves and vandals.

“We received news from Armenelos yesterday”, she spoke, as soon as they had entered the cramped place and Fíriel had scared away the mouse who was trying to gnaw at one of the sacks. “It appears that the Prince of the West is ill.”

The girl froze.

“Ill?” She remembered Gimilzagar telling her that he had been ill often, when he was younger. He was much better now, he claimed, though he had never wanted to talk about those horrible rumours concerning souls of people sacrificed for his health. Until the day she was brought before the King, she remembered, the hairs in the back of her neck rising in terror at the very remembrance.

Even then, however, after knowing the truth, she had remained unable to hate him. Perhaps she was biased because she had kissed him, but what she saw when she looked at him was a sad young man, trying in vain to escape the tyranny of his father. Just like the rest of the world.

“Will he be fine?” she asked, stupidly. To think that she had mocked Lady Irissë, she thought, mortified, as her mother raised an eyebrow at her.

“I am sure he will be.” More than the unfortunate men and women who will be slaughtered for his sake, her look seemed to imply, but she cared enough about Fíriel’s feelings as to forego putting it in words. “But that is not what concerns me. It might be that the Sceptre is successful at hiding things from its subjects, but as far as we are able to tell, it has been quite long since the Prince of the West last experienced an illness.”

“Then, how do you know that he will be fine?”

Ilmarë shook her head, and let go of an exasperated sigh.

“Fíriel, a narrow field of vision is a common symptom of lover’s disease, but when it comes to the Prince, I believe you would be better advised to pay attention to other things apart from his welfare.” Her eyes narrowed as she set them on her. “Such as, for instance, your own.”

Fíriel swallowed hard.

“What does that mean, my… Mother?”

“It means that we are worried that a connection might be drawn between you and his current state.”

“What? People will think that he is ill because of me?” She could not believe her ears. Though she had spent months trying hard to suppress all memories of her cousin, she could not prevent her mind from going back to that fateful day she had met Gimilzagar on the beach, and returned home at night to find Zebedin beaten up by the Palace Guards. He remembered him holding a wet cloth against his swollen face, and laughing bitterly. As if they needed a reason to blame us for everything!

Since that day, the world had been striving quite hard to prove him right in his affirmation. Sometimes, it made Fíriel wonder if perhaps she had been unfair when she thought him an idiot, even, in her darkest moments, whether he could have been wiser than the rest of them. For at least, he had tried to do something before he died, though he had struck at the wrong person.

“Your uncle thinks you should sail to Pelargir. Do not worry”, the lady hastened to interject when she saw the outrage in Fíriel’s countenance. “You will not. He means well, and he does genuinely care about you, in his own way. And Father insists that I cannot blame him for thinking of his own wife and children first, and hoping that they could live on peacefully if you were gone.” Still, there was a hard glint in her eye that told the girl that she had not quite succeeded in seeing things the way her father wanted her to. “But you would not be any safer in Pelargir. There was a time when the mainland was like another world, where Merchant Princes had their own dealings with the natives, of which the Sceptre knew and cared little as long as the wealth kept flowing. That is no longer the case. The tyranny of the Sceptre is little less felt in the colonies than it is in the Island, and though those who are of little interest to it may disappear through the cracks, this will never work for someone like you, just as it would not work for the Lord of Andúnië and his kin. And what is more important, I have finally understood what I did not understand back when I gave you away.”

It was not very common that they would speak of this event, at least since that terrible night when her world had changed for ever. Out of an instinct, Fíriel looked at the closed door behind them, as if suddenly afraid that someone would overhear. Ilmarë did not even seem to register this movement.

“There is no safety, no salvation to be found in fleeing and hiding. All a coward will receive for their troubles is a stab in the back.” There was pain in her glance now, and yet also a great fierceness. “We cannot escape the long arm of the Queen of Númenor, Fíriel. All we can do is wait for her, face her when she comes, and never let her destroy our spirits.”

Though just a moment ago she had been recoiling angrily from the very notion of taking ship for the mainland, Fíriel was unable to hide the anxiety awoken by those words. She looked at the finely-dressed woman who had turned out to be her mother, at her regal pose and the stateliness of her raised chin, and for a moment she could not believe it -any of it. She was not this lady’s daughter, she could not be. She was Fíriel the peasant from the Andustar, and they did not live in the same world, or speak the same language. She did not play private games with the Sceptre, except those which involved kneeling on the hard floor and trying to survive. She had understood that well enough last time.

“With all due respect, my lady” she said, suddenly formal, “she can destroy my body.”

Ilmarë stared at her, as if she had not been expecting such a ludicrous answer. Then, however, something in her look seemed to give her a little pause, and she relented a little.

“Child, the Queen does not want to destroy your body. If she had, she would have done so long ago.”

That was true enough, Fíriel thought, remembering all the times that Gimilzagar had blabbered information about her in front of his mother. But Gimilzagar’s mother had not been there last time, and Fíriel did not think there was much she could do against Gimilzagar’s father anyway.

“I do not know if she will be back for you. Perhaps you have already served her purposes in some way that we ignore. “The way Ilmarë spoke of the Queen, she might well have been the Dark Lord herself, which she found even more ominous than her previous thought. “But Great-grandfather was right about one thing: if she is back, you cannot remain this helpless. You have courage and determination, which is fine. But you are still tied by the limitations of a peasant. You are uneducated, naïve, and too impressed by the wrong things.”

Fíriel blushed.

“I am a peasant.”

“No, you are not. You are my daughter.”

The girl’s anger was growing, despite the fact that she knew that Ilmarë was speaking the truth. After all, whose fault was it that it was so? She was as innocent of the circumstances that brought her to be so helpless and inadequate as Gimilzagar was of the crimes committed in his name. Perhaps this was the link which had tied them both since the beginning, she mused, two children whose lives had been changed by the fateful decisions of others –and who had been short-changed for it.

Then, however, she remembered Grandmother, and she felt ashamed of her own thoughts.

“Again, with all due respect, I was raised by the woman who sits in the other room. If she is a peasant, then I am a peasant, because I will not leave her side again as long as she needs me.”

For all her grandness, this time Ilmarë could not prevent herself from flinching as if she had been struck. Fíriel had expected her to be angry, but instead she appeared sad and embarrassed and, for a moment, very much undignified. Not very unlike how Gimilzagar himself had looked sometimes, when she made him see something that he had not previously considered.

“I… did not mean to imply…” Ilmarë shook her head, looking out of words, or rather, at a loss to find the appropriate one among a vertiginous display of them. “You… do not have to go anywhere, Fíriel. At least not because I…” Her frown darkened, and she hurried to discard this sentence, as if there was something in its ending that she did not like. “Will you at least let us help you?”

Us. That she seemed too ashamed to even speak in the singular made Fíriel realize how deeply she had wounded her – and how unfairly. She had lashed out at her only because the world was crumbling around her, and she could do nothing about it, and she needed someone to blame. But as long as the Queen or the King remained aware of her existence, as much as it pained and frightened her to admit it, Ilmarë was right: she needed help. Any help.

“I- yes, of course” she said, wishing it could have come out more gracefully. Then, she grew aware of what had been missing. “Of course, Mother.”

The woman’s smile made her chest ache a little, but at least the situation at hand had been solved. Fíriel sighed – to live one situation at a time was a timeless article of peasant wisdom which she could less than ever allow herself to renounce. Perhaps one day, she thought, if the future remained so bleak and terrifying, the noble, foresighted lords would do well to follow their lead in this.

“I think they must be wondering what we are up to” she said, forcing herself to smile brightly in return. It felt a little false, as if she was trying too hard to forget what had just been said. “And I still have plenty of shit to wash.”

Ilmarë opened her mouth, perhaps to object to her daughter engaging in such degrading pursuits, but seemed to think better of it and closed it again. Fíriel appreciated the effort. Eldest Uncle and Aunt would never throw her out from their house, but it was understood that all this unpleasantness was her business to deal with, and no matter who her real mother was, it was too late for them to see themselves as her servants, to clean up after her. The day they did, she knew she would have no choice but to leave.

As if she had guessed at least part of her thoughts, Ilmarë let go of a strange, smothered chuckle while they walked back to the main room of the cottage. There, the other two women’s voices could be heard engaging in a lively argument about the proper way to cook mackerels.

“At least you will have no problem with the things that cannot be taught”, she said. “Such as pride.”

A quality which no doubt Kings and Queens appreciated very much on their subjects, Fíriel thought darkly, closing the sliding door behind her.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Gimilzagar was finding it increasingly difficult to fight the urge to yawn. He had lost the thread of a long debate about supply lines for the armies in the mainland somewhere after the first half-hour, and now he was trying to keep his head high and his expression alert while old General Eshmounazer thundered at the representatives of Umbar and Pelargir. As a child, he had not been a slow learner –though perhaps his tutors had merely been lying through their teeth-, but the facts and the figures involved in this argument swam in and out of his mind, and he felt almost physically unable to hold on to them, like a child who tried to keep the foam of the surf cupped in his hands.

Thoughts of the surf, however, inevitably led to thoughts of Rómenna, and of her, which was about the last thing he could afford right now. He no longer had the excuse of his illness to stay in bed, staring at the ceiling and wondering morbidly about what she was doing at each moment of the day, whether she was thinking of him, and how much she must hate him by now. The King had made sure of that: in a grand ceremony with most of Armenelos in attendance, he had offered a magnificent tribute to the Great Deliverer in his name. Gimilzagar had to admit that, when the life and strength had crept back into his sinews, it had been a buoyant and wonderful feeling, but the aftertaste had been bitter. He could not help but think that she must despise him for his cowardice, for his pathetic show of defiance that vanished shamefully at the first threat. How different from all the heroes in the stories.

“Perhaps the Prince might wish to enlighten us with one of his insights. He seems to be pondering something very important,” Ar Pharazôn’s voice jerked him out of his dispirited musings. The whole room tensed together with him, and all eyes became fixed on his countenance. They recognized that tone very well, brimming with a pretence of light irony which would become anger the very moment that he gave the wrong answer.

But try as he might, Gimilzagar had no right answer to give.

“A- allow me to offer my heartfelt apologies, my lord King, my lord general.” He briefly considered the possibility of pretending that he was still feeling the aftereffects of his illness, but thought better about it. “I am- not familiar enough with the mainland, so my mind had wandered off for a minute.”

“Oh.” The King arched an eyebrow. “I am sorry, General Eshmounazer, perhaps you should have been speaking about fishing, so as to not bore the Prince. Or is it fisherwomen?” Gimilzagar looked down, his cheeks burning with shame. “Meanwhile, you could at least pretend to be interested in the kingdom you are set to inherit one day.”

The rest of the session passed by in a blur after this. Gimilzagar spent most of it trying to participate in an attempt to placate his father, but his attempts at asking questions or offering suggestions rather served to certify his ignorance. What was worse: as his embarrassment increased, his voice grew slightly frantic, and he knew that he was not only earning the King’s wrath, but also the –carefully disguised- contempt of the other councilmen.

“Well”, Ar Pharazôn said, sweeping on him as soon as the session drew to a close, and the councilmen began wandering off to pick up their things and speak to their aides. “I think I am going to have to confess defeat. The Golden King of Númenor has conquered the world and faced every obstacle in his way, but he is unable to make any headway with his own son. Ironic, isn’t it?”

“If I may intervene, my lord King, I can imagine why the poor boy would be at a loss.” As always, Lord Zigûr trailed the King’s footsteps as closely as if he was his shadow. “Every boy dreams of being like his father, even of surpassing him. But you- well, you might have made that goal a little too difficult for him. Is it a matter of wonder that he should be tempted to surrender, before such an impossible task?”

Ar Pharazôn snorted.

“Do you honestly think that is it, Lord Zigûr?” He grabbed Gimilzagar’s shoulder, pretending to be showing him around the bustling council room. “Then let me introduce these worthy people to you. They are not me, but they are perfectly adequate men who manage their affairs well, most of the time. I will be pleased enough if you pick any of them and try to be like him. Well, perhaps not him.” Lord Iqbal cringed, and though his cheeks were as flushed as Gimilzagar’s, he did not say a word, pretending that he had not heard. “But you can choose among the rest.”

“I am sorry, Father.”

The other men bowed as the three of them departed through the gates at the front of the room, the ones reserved to the King alone, and crossed the Painted Gallery in the direction of the private quarters of the Main Compound. The next time that Ar Pharazôn’s gaze met his, Gimilzagar could see that it had shed even the pretence of amusement.

“What am I going to do with you?”

The Prince looked down. Withstanding his father’s glance was already a daunting experience when he was younger, but now it had become almost unbearable. More often than not, when he could be bothered to remain alert to such things, he had observed how people’s moods grew altered by the presence of the King. There were many nuances, as many as there were people, but every reaction fluctuated at some point between the twin poles of hatred and fear. The greatest amount of hatred could be found among those who were exalted and powerful in the realm, like the Council lords, and paradoxically enough also among the lowest, like the barbarian captives or those unfortunate Baalim-worshippers back in Rómenna. A similar quantity of fear, on the other hand, served to balance this hatred and keep it in check. In most people that Gimilzagar knew, both things were so deeply entwined as to be practically undistinguishable, a sea of dark ripples that disturbed the very air that they breathed. When his father belittled him before the Council, those people tensed in perceived sympathy, thinking that he was like them. When his pleas were ignored in Rómenna, Lord Amandil had gazed at him with pity, too, but they were all mistaken.

They were mistaken, Gimilzagar thought, because they had no idea of what he saw whenever he looked at his father. There was anger, yes, and frustration, and a great disappointment at this boy who was nothing like what he had wanted him to be. But all this lived together with something else, which made it much, much worse. None of these people had the slightest notion of what it was to gaze into his father’s eyes as he wondered aloud how many souls would be needed to make Gimilzagar whole, and see that when he spoke of a million, he would truly find a million souls and sacrifice every one of them for Gimilzagar’s sake. They couldn’t.

“… it is little wonder that he does not show much interest in the mainland, my lord King, when Rómenna has been the farthest from the Palace he has ever been.” Lord Zigûr seemed to have taken the mantle of his defender, though the Prince had no idea of what purpose he could be seeking with this. After all, he was not a man, and he would not be read by anyone.

“Well, perhaps you have a point. Perhaps some of the fault is ours, for how we have raised him. Because of his weakness, we have been too protective. We keep him here and treat him like a child, unseemly surrounded by old ladies who coddle him night and day. No wonder he found himself a girl as soon as our backs were turned!” Only his back had been turned, Gimilzagar thought, bristling at the crudity of the assessment, but he knew better than to interrupt the King now. “Oh, I know! Next year, I will be doing an inspection tour of our mainland dominions. Not a grand campaign, though I am sure that we will encounter resistance somewhere. Gimilzagar, you will be coming with me!”

“What?” Horrified, the young man stared at his father, who was suddenly looking very pleased with himself. “No, Father… I mean, I could not… I cannot… I…” I am not a warrior. I could not even face a peasant boy with a fisherman’s knife. “I do not know… anything of war”, he claimed, clutching at straws.

For a moment, it looked as if Ar Pharazôn would give up on him in disgust, yet again. But this time, he would not be so easily deterred. He looked as if he had found the solution to all his problems, the definitive formula that would turn his son into a man.

“I am glad to know of your enthusiasm. That is the spirit, indeed!” he mocked him, but good-naturedly. “Starting tomorrow, you will receive lessons in swordsmanship, horse riding and military strategy. And I will have armour made for you.”

Lord Zigûr smiled, and in his dismay, Gimilzagar concentrated in the shallow comfort of hating him with all his strength.

“That is a wonderful idea, my lord King.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Mother, please”, he begged. His voice came out hoarse, and he felt ashamed even as he spoke. We keep him here and treat him like a child, his father had said, and he could not help but be uncomfortably reminded that he was acting like one. But this was too important, more important than his dignity even, and she had never judged him as harshly as the others. “Do not let him take me. I- I do not want to go to the mainland.”

Ar Zimraphel smiled sadly. Her look of pity stung like the jagged edge of the rocks that he and Fíriel used to climb in Rómenna.

“I am sorry, my love. I have no valid reason to oppose your father’s will in this. He is quite right: you are as much the heir to the Sceptre of Middle-Earth as you are the Prince of the Númenóreans. You have much to learn about the world, and this could be a good opportunity for you to do so.”

He hated himself even more for what he said next, but it was his best shot at getting her to cooperate with him.

“But what if something were to… happen to me?” He tried not to think of Fíriel, of how she would scorn him for this. “What if I am killed?”

Ar Zimraphel caressed the dark strands of his hair away from his forehead, just as she had done in his childhood, he realized.

“I have absolute trust in your father’s ability to keep you safe” If not necessarily happy, she added ruefully in her mind, though soon her look grew serious. “You must allow yourself to grow into a man, Gimilzagar. Only then, you will stop hating yourself. There are enough people ready to hate you in this world, it is absolutely imperative that you do not join forces with them.”

I do not care about them, Mother, he thought, and he realized that it was true. There was only one set of eyes in his mind, always the same, haunting his dreams and his waking hours alike with their look of contempt.

“She did not hate you, my love, because you strove to be a man when you were with her. And that is the side of you that remains unsullied in her memory even now.”

“Really?” The longing he felt was suddenly so unbearable that he had to swallow hard. She nodded.

“When have I ever deceived you, my son?” she asked, though not in anger, but in sympathy for his turmoil, which she had always been able to read like an open book. “Do not despair. At the end of every dark path, there is always light. You will see this light one day, and you will walk towards it.”

Ar Zimraphel was his mother, but she was also a woman of great foresight, revered and feared by all. She seldom spoke lightly, and even as she tried to comfort him as every mother would her child, she never spoke false.

“Thank you, Mother”, he said, feeling slightly better for the first time in so many days that he could not even remember. “I will keep your words in mind.”

“Now, go to your father. And be a dutiful son to him, as hard a task as it might seem to you at times. I know that, deep inside, you are aware of all that he has done for you, though it is not an easy debt to acknowledge.” She looked a little wistful now. “Much older and stronger men would collapse under its weight.”

The following day, when his new instructors introduced themselves to him, put armour on his back and a sword in his hand, Gimilzagar could not stop wondering if he would ever grow strong enough not to collapse under the weight of a million souls.

Pelargir

Read Pelargir

They had not even set foot on the bustling docks of the colony when a man, who walked under a delicately embroidered parasol under the vigilant gaze of a considerable armed escort, hailed them and asked leave to “be admitted to their presence.” Bemused, Isildur gave him a long look before returning his attention to the docking manoeuvres and leaving Anárion to deal with the situation.

As always, the younger son of Elendil was successful at keeping his composure despite the ridiculousness of the circumstances. He had the gangway set before the lower sails were even rolled so the man, his parasol-bearer and four of his guards could come in, and he conversed with him over the shouts of the sailors, somehow managing not to raise his voice enough for the curious to overhear. After what appeared to Isildur to be a very lengthy conversation, their guest bowed very low and refused to be accompanied back to the docks, though Anárion politely insisted.

“Who was that man?” Isildur asked, once that he and his entourage had disappeared among the crowd of sailors, merchants and vendors going about their business in the harbour of Pelargir. His brother had been following them with his glance until then, but now he looked away.

“An esteemed associate of the Magistrate of Pelargir, here to invite us to the Magistrate’s house for dinner.”

“What? I cannot believe that those bastards knew we were coming! We have not even left the ship yet!”

Anárion shrugged.

“The Merchant Princes and their net of associates have their ways. Father always says that we would do better not to underestimate them. Not to mention that, according to Irimë…”

“I hope you did not accept the invitation”, Isildur interrupted him before he could start waxing poetical about his bride’s wise advice and penetrating insights. “We are supposed to be here as particulars, and our mission demands that we remain unremarked.”

“We are not unremarked anymore, Isildur”, Anárion replied simply. “Our new goal is to behave as if we have nothing to hide.”

“Should we… leave, then?” a man, visibly uncomfortable, interrupted their conversation from the side. It was Fíriel’s uncle, the man who had raised her until his foolih son got caught trying to assassinate the Prince, and most of the family decided to leave the Island before things could get any worse for them. “We do not wish to make things difficult.”

Isildur shook his head fiercely.

“Stop talking nonsense. You have nowhere to go yet. And I very much doubt they were here because of you.”

He had not asked Anárion for an opinion on this, but his younger brother gave it anyway.

“I mentioned to the merchant that we intended to stay in Abanazer’s house while we were in Pelargir, and that we had brought his kin from the Island. Now that we have been – detained by the circumstances, we can still send them to his house with a message from us, explaining the reason for our delay. Not even the Merchant Princes could object to that.”

The man looked lost.

“With all my respects, my lord, who is Abanazer?”

Anárion’s glance became fixed on him.

“As of today, your kinsman.”

And if he happens to have a young son, perhaps his soon-to-be kin by marriage, Malik snorted, gazing towards Fíriel’s exuberant cousin, who was leaning on the ship’s railing in a way that left her breasts in rather conspicuous display. It had been hard work for her mother to keep a shipful of sailors away from her for three weeks, and Isildur had heard loud fights coming from their place in the hold almost every day. Now, as she took in her first impressions of the exotic mainland, it seemed to be dawning on her that she stood before an exciting realm of endless possibility.

“Well, we should all be getting ready for our respective meetings”, Anárion was saying now, still looking at the other man but, in fact, addressing his words to Isildur.  Or at least, Isildur assumed that a family of peasants from Rómenna did not have audience clothes carefully packed in by their mother on the ship’s hold.

“Too much ceremony for a man who did not even give us time to dock before he had his associates board our ship”, Isildur grumbled, turning away from them and heading towards the stairs.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Pelargir had changed much since the last time Isildur set foot on the colony. Back then, though it already owed allegiance to Ar Pharazôn’s Sceptre, the city had still been Tar Palantir’s city, almost like an animated display of the beautiful crystal model that the old King used to keep in a chamber of the Palace. Now, those grand stone buildings, the last joint venture between different kindreds, loomed behind the long river harbour as imposing monuments of a past time, but in the streets that lay under their shadow everything was different.

That difference, Isildur soon understood, had a very clear source, evident enough for anyone who had known the city in earlier times. The Merchant Princes of Gadir, who had lost control of the Bay for a time after their city burned and trade routes were wrested away from them, had slowly but surely regained their footing in a changing world. As exiles, they had humbly asked for permission to establish their households in Pelargir, and the naïve council of settlers who had still been in power during Isildur’s first visit had granted it. They had been seduced by the newcomers’ good disposition, their helpful advice and the advantages of their wide net of contacts among the native nobility and the chieftains of the tribes. At some point after their prodigal son took the Sceptre, however, their masks had started to slip away, and when the King reorganized the city’s government and gave them a representative in the Council of the realm, they had made a bid for power.

According to Elendil, who was governor of Arne back then, it had been his fault that things had come to this. He had been defending the interests of Arne, which was understandable, but in the process he had forgotten to make sure that the interests of Pelargir did not suffer in the process. All of a sudden, the most flourishing trading colony of the realm had seen its lucrative deals with the Arnian elite vanish in smoke through the efforts of its own countryman, who appeared more concerned about the welfare of a bunch of backwater barbarians. Discontent and crisis had set in, and it had struck the Faithful who kept ties with the house of Andúnië much harder than the Merchant Princes of Gadir, whose underhanded means and superior knowledge of how to conduct business under a governor’s nose had been grabbed as a lifeline by struggling investors, while their rivals were left to suffer mistrust and ruin. Isildur had never cared much for politics, and even less for business, but he was still struck by Elendil’s haunted look on the day that the Merchant Princes gained the Magistracy and the Council seat.

This, however, had all belonged to the time before Sauron, those struggling years that now appeared almost like a golden age to those who looked back on them. Since then the issue of religion, which had never been a problem in Pelargir before, for all cults and beliefs were equally welcome within its walls, had grown too important in the world outside to remain ignored for long. Ar Pharazôn had granted Pelargir the same status as Rómenna, turning it into a haven where the Faithful could engage in their religious practices without fear of retribution. But what might seem at first sight to be a concession, wrung out from him by his better judgement because the Faithful were the majority of the citizens of Pelargir, could have had a more insidious intent hidden underneath. Like Rómenna, Pelargir had been overrun by alarmed Faithful from many corners of the Númenórean empire, most of them without the means to thrive or even survive in this rich city unless they depended on the charity of others. Some of the better natured, or more observant Faithful merchants –like Abanazer, younger son of the late Adûnazer who had lived in Arne with their father- had helped the newcomers, but this had not prevented the city’s streets from being filled with unsightly beggars, who in their desperation took to illegal dealings, even to petty crime. Meanwhile, the Merchant Princes and their associates grew richer and richer, and those who wished to prosper under their rule were careful to keep anything that could connect them in any way to those crooks under lock and key, if they bothered to keep it at all. This seemed to have had the effect of turning Pelargir into a city of ghost Faithful. Their temples had been gradually abandoned and fallen into disrepair, the strange but moving statues they had learned to carve during their first exile had disappeared from crossroads and front yards, and a rich temple of Melkor had been built in a large square by the Magistrate’s house. According to Anárion, human sacrifices were offered in there at least once a year, as the merchants paid good money to have captives delivered from Umbar. Isildur could only imagine how unpleasant it would be for the most cowardly Faithful to stand there, watching the flesh of the victims burn and pretending before their friends that they found it holy and edifying. But whatever they might claim about their personal circumstances, he felt no sympathy for their plight.

As it was, the only minor comfort he derived from the sights offered before him was the realization that the Merchant Princes were not as secure in their power as they pretended to be. This became obvious as they reached the area where their rich mansions stood in greater number, and he saw the high walls that surrounded them, crowned with spikes, and the many armed guards standing watch on them. The Magistrate’s house was the most heavily guarded of all, with what amounted to a small army, wearing the city’s colours but looking mostly like barbarians, assembled before its gates.

“Is this man using the city’s money to buy slaves for his own protection?” Isildur asked, astonished by this level of effrontery.

“No, he is using it to recruit skilled warriors from every corner of the world and paying them a fortune”, Anárion replied, with a shrug. “As far as he is concerned, slaves and Faithful pose the same kind of danger to his neck.”

“Isn’t he secure enough under the divine protection of the Face of Melkor?” While they exchanged those words, their names were announced and a powerfully built man, with features he could not relate to any part of the world that he knew, gestured at him to present his weapons for inspection. Anárion, who had already let them carry away his sword without as much as a second look in its direction, shook his head.

“The Face of Melkor is looking for an excuse to intervene in the city and destroy the dens of the Baalim-worshippers. I think the Magistrate does not particularly fancy becoming this excuse.”

“And yet he professes to believe in the doctrine of sacrifice.” Isildur did not know if those men even spoke their language, but he did not care for who overheard him. Reluctantly, he took out his sword, his dagger, and even his knife, though Malik did not agree with the last one. His friend did not trust Anárion’s instincts in the slightest, but when it came to dinners in fancy houses Isildur himself had nothing better to contribute, so he might as well follow his brother’s lead.

Once they had passed through the barrier of the gate guards, they came to a grand, stately porch, larger than the one they had in Rómenna, and entirely covered in gold-rimmed mosaics and gleaming tiles. There, they were ushered in by a host of young slaves of great beauty, who had them sit on a purple-covered couch, offered them wines of many different kinds and washed their feet, assuring them that the Magistrate would be with them as soon as his weighty obligations allowed.

“This is great”, Isildur grumbled, as the second cup of wine was pressed into his hand. Anárion was gazing inside his own cup thoughtfully without drinking a sip, a telltale gesture which made Isildur suspect that he was a little nervous.

“You should drink, it helps”, he advised. Anárion ignored him.

“Do you think the King would intervene if we were murdered here?” Isildur insisted, determined to wring a reaction.

Before the question had a chance to be answered, however, the Magistrate himself showed up in person to greet them. He was a chubby, genial looking man, of those whose cheeks grew flushed at the slightest show of emotion. He spoke and laughed equally loudly, and received them with the same enthusiasm with which he set to eat marinated oysters from a silver dish. He used to know their father, even Isildur himself, he claimed, though of course back then he would have been too lowly for the Governor’s son to notice his presence. Just a humble merchant, struggling to bring his family business back to its former prosperity, he finished, with a proud look at his surroundings that subtly reminded his noble guest of who was in charge now.

Isildur ate and drank mostly in silence, leaving Anárion to do the talking. The Magistrate repelled him more in person than he had merely by word of his reputation and deeds. Even the most twisted and pitiless of villains could prove to be an interesting man, but it was not the case with this one. Isildur had seen many others like him before, here and in Arne and in Armenelos and in Sor: upstarts who believed that the world belonged to them and yet affected modesty, who hid their cunning behind a good-natured façade, and made frequent displays of piety though they believed in nothing.

At some point after the eleventh course, they finally came to the subject of business. Anárion felt quite comfortable with his role in this farce, just as he had in the Governor of Sor’s court, and when he pretended to be an unexperienced young man led by enticing rumours of riches in the North, the Magistrate appeared flattered enough to share some morsels of his wisdom, free of charge.

“Many other enterprising young men have gone that way in the past, seduced by such nonsense. I can see you are adventurous, as those of your noble blood often are, and you have probably grown listening to tales of how your ancestors explored, conquered and struck deals all over the map. But your elders, who have invested good money in this venture, might have different views”, he nodded sententiously. “It is simply not worth it, I tell you. Wealth and trade are like migratory birds; they have their timeless routes and patterns, and you cannot ignore them. And if you wish to explore new territory, you need more than just a few ships. You need advance explorers, you need knowledge, and most of all, you need the might of the Sceptre to pave the way for your endeavours. If the King is not interested in that area, it is unlikely that you will make much headway with the savages there. Unless you think that you do not need the Sceptre.” For a moment, his grandfatherly expression gave way and his eyes became shrewd as he set them on Anárion, who withstood his glance with a serene look. “That is why noblemen do not make very good merchants.”

“Our ancestors were the first to open a trade route in the mainland. They showed the rest of the Island the way, including your own ancestors, my lord magistrate”, Isildur intervened. Their host shifted his attention towards him, for the first time since they had exchanged empty pleasantries about the circumstances of their previous encounter. As he did so, his lips curved in a smile which had no trace of real warmth underneath.

“Indeed, my lord, indeed! You are justly proud of your forebears. And yet, the Middle-Earth of that heroic age has little to do with the one we live in now.”

“That is right. Back then, we only had to fight external enemies, not the machinations of our fellow Númenóreans.”

This time, the resulting silence was much harder to fill. For the first time since they sat there, Isildur drank from his cup heartily, and revelled in the uncomfortableness that followed. You know that if you survive this visit, you might not survive Anárion, Malik snorted, close to his ear.

“We will take your advice to heart, my lord Magistrate”, Isildur’s brother spoke, as if he had remained oblivious to their confrontation. “You have been in the trade for a long time, and you must know many people. I was wondering if you could point us towards old merchant families that have ventured North from the Middle Havens in the past, or to those who may know stories of the lands that lie beyond. We would much appreciate any information you could help us gather.”

This seemed to mollify the merchant a little, and the incident was closed. For the next half hour or so, as night fell over the porch and barbarian musicians played the flute and the harp in their vicinity, the man pretended to rack his brains for any little piece of knowledge which might be of use to them. There was no one that went that way anymore, he claimed, when there was so much profit to be made in other areas of the world. Perhaps Aharbal’s aged uncle, now, that man had been up to many crazy stunts in his youth, but Anárion had to be careful not to believe half of what he said. And of course there was his associate’s son in the garrison of the Middle-Havens, the Magistrate would give them a note for him. It was through him that the city council regularly got notice of wild tribes who tried to burn and pillage their way down South. Those Forest People were rather bothersome, and rumour had also reached his ears of other foes joining hands with them, perhaps those elusive Elves, who were too cowardly to fight the Númenóreans in the open.

Isildur had just opened his mouth to say it was interesting to hear an accusation of cowardice from a man who lived in a fenced house and spent great quantities of money in his own protection, but Anárion saw the look in his eye and managed to intervene just in time.

“That was very helpful! We will be sure to speak to those people while we are here and in the Middle Havens, my lord magistrate. But now, I am afraid that it is getting late, and I would not want to keep our host awake, waiting for our arrival. Nor would we wish to keep you, my lord, from your many duties as a businessman and a ruler.”

“My duties are many, indeed, and most of them very onerous. In spite of this, I will always find time for an illustrious guest who comes all the way from the Island seeking fortune or adventure”, the Magistrate answered graciously. He called for his servants to bring in rosewater to clean their hands, and escorted them personally to the gates, where he ordered his hired warriors to return their weapons to them. By the time Isildur and Anárion managed to rejoin their comparatively minor escort, Isildur calculated that his brother and that man must have exhausted every empty pleasantry to be devised by the Adûnaic language.

“That was a dinner I would rather not repeat”, Isildur remarked as they walked through the square, now much emptier than before. At their left side, the large bulk of the Temple of Melkor, with its dome imitating those of Sor and Armenelos, hung ominously over their heads. One of the men made an instinctive gesture in its direction, as if to ward off evil, and another scolded him for his imprudence. It appeared that everyone was on edge since they had landed here.

“I would rather not repeat it in your company”, Anárion retorted. “You got abominably drunk and put our mission at risk. Irimë already warned me that your death wish might become a problem at some point.”

“With all my respects to your betrothed, she knows as much about this as she does about most of the issues she sees fit to interfere in”, Isildur replied angrily. “And I am not drunk, nor did I put anything at risk. As you said yourself back on the docks, the Magistrate already has us under his eye, and he will not like us any better no matter how much you fawn over him.”

“I am so grateful for your shrewd political insight, Isildur.” So he had a sense of humour now, too, didn’t he? “He is our enemy, so let us insult him, the highest appointed Númenórean authority, in his own house. He already suspects us of being up to something, so let us reveal our full purpose to him.”

“I was not going to reveal our full purpose to him.”

“You implied that we would have to fight his machinations! Now, why would we do that, if what we are seeking is in no way contrary to his interests? Not to mention everything that you would have said if I had not stopped you! We had to convince him that all we wanted was a chance to earn renown and have a little adventure by retracing our ancestors’ footsteps in an area he does not…”

“Silence!”

“Wh-?” Anárion’s instinctive protest died on his lips when he saw him tense. Then, however, as he saw him reach for his sword, alone among seven armed men, he arched an eyebrow in incredulity. “What are you doing?”

“Have your weapons at the ready”, Isildur hissed, nodding at Malik’s frantic signals from the end of the narrow street they had taken. Studying his surroundings with the long experience of a warrior, he counted two alleys, but none of them with an exit. That was no good. “We need to retrace our steps, now.”

“I hear nothing”, Anárion protested. “Perhaps the drink…”

“Drunk or not, if I say that you should have your sword at the ready, you do it!” Isildur cut him sharply. Just then, an unmistakeable clang of metal reached their ears from the distance, as the men who had set the ambush heard the telltale sounds which revealed that they had been discovered. His brother’s face changed at once from contentious to alarmed, and he took out his sword together with all the others. Following Isildur’s lead, they retraced their steps and took another street, but they were not citizens of Pelargir and so did not know the terrain well. It was only a matter of time until they got caught.

“Our best hope is to reach a street full of people.” The feeling of having already lived through this threatened to disrupt his clarity, so Isildur pulled it out before it could fester. “They will not harm us before many witnesses.”

“I hear voices coming from that direction!” one of the men cried, pointing towards the South, where there was a dim light over the sky. Unfortunately, no street seemed to go straight there, and the enemy was gaining on them.

They were ten, and probably very good at what they did, considering that they all belonged to the Magistrate’s prized corps. Though they did not bear any recognizable arms, Isildur had memorized their faces at the gate, and even if he had not, their bulk was unmistakeable.

Nothing for it, then. Fleeing any further was useless: they were caught in the trap, and all that remained to them was the chance to fight them off.

“I am Isildur, the heir of Elendil of Andúnië! If you think I am an easy kill, come here so you can realize your mistake!” he shouted at them. Though they knew little Adûnaic, they seemed to understand the challenge well enough, identifying him as the chief target. The other men closed ranks around him; even Anárion stood his ground, though he was not used to fighting.

But Isildur had no intention to keep to that formation. Instead, he threw himself at the enemy, and for a moment the feeling was so joyful, so pure, so liberating after so many years of paralyzing inaction that he even forgot about all that was at stake.

The barbarians had not expected this daring move, and he came in so fast that one of them did not even have time to protect himself against the onslaught, collapsing with a howl of pain. Strong they may be, Isildur soon realized, but their agility left to be desired. As both groups of fighters became enmeshed in a fierce struggle, his mind wandered towards a crazy stunt that Malik had pulled in the past, one that almost cost him his life, but also bought them victory in a desperate situation.

Once he found an opening to extricate himself from the fray, he turned away from his enemy, and ran. Soon, he heard a voice barking orders, and looking back, he saw a sizeable number of their enemies leave the fight to follow after his footsteps. Just as he had imagined, they were not as fast as he was, so now and then he took care to slow his stride. This way, they would not feel tempted to give up on the chase, and his forces would remain as intact as possible.

At some point, they reached the riverside, a set of smaller docks where some fishermen were getting ready to sail away for their night trips. As soon as they saw the armed men, they shouted and crouched behind their boats, away from the reach of their blades. Again, Isildur pretended to falter, gathering his forces for the final stretch.

Now! Malik hissed, just when they were upon him. Isildur took a sharp breath, and ran as fast as he could. His closest pursuer yelled in frustration as his hand closed on empty air.

This sudden acceleration brought an unbearable strain to the lines of his enemies, who began to lag behind, each of them at their own pace. Following Malik’s indications, Isildur stopped dead, dug in his heels, and turned around to attack the first of his pursuers. The man was alone, exhausted, and had not expected him to turn the tables like this, so he crumpled to the floor like a tree felled by lightning. The second was already more alert than the first, but he had also tired himself out, and the speed of his reaction was below his usual rate. Like this, he successfully killed three of them, until the fourth was upon him before he had managed to retrieve his sword from the body of the last, and he had no time to repeat the manoeuvre. Without a moment of hesitation, he left it there, ran towards the river, and jumped into it. He heard only one splash after his- apparently, the fifth warrior did not know how to swim.

To know how to swim, however, was far from enough to race Isildur in an element he had dominated since he was a child. While his enemy was still halfway through, he had already crossed to the other side and climbed up the rugged stone of the old docks. Struggling to his feet, he disappeared through one of the streets of that quarter. Only after he had turned four times and he could not hear anyone following him, he allowed himself to relax.

The river thing was a good touch, Malik nodded in grudging approval.

Checking that he looked more or less presentable –he had only received a few scratches, and the blood that survived the water was not very visible in the darkness- Isildur sought a passing reveller, and asked him for Abanazer’s address. The man stared at him in obvious mistrust, but his fear of this dangerous stranger eventually won out and he reluctantly complied.

When at last he stood before the threshold of the house, he did not even have to knock. Someone pointed at him from the window with a cry, and all of a sudden the doors were open, and people surrounded him to check him for wounds and rush him inside. To his immense relief, so great that it even took him by surprise, Anárion was there, holding a bandaged arm.

“Isildur!” he exclaimed, his features flushed in a way that his elder brother had never seen before. “What sort of madness…?”

“You are welcome, Anárion. I merely took half of our enemies off your back so you could have a chance against those that remained” he shrugged. “Did I say enemies? I should have said, your dear friend the Magistrate’s men.”

Anárion did not usually lost his temper, but in this new world those rules seemed no longer to apply.

“You-you are the most annoying… infuriating… insane…. is that blood?”

“What? Oh, this.” Isildur gazed with indifference at a gash on his arm, which had ruined his audience clothes. At least it did not seem like he would be needing them anymore. “You are right, I hadn’t even noticed it.” To his own surprise, he felt better than he had been in a very, very long time. “How is that arm?”

“Only two of us made it through”, Anárion informed him, and this effectively sobered him up.

“What? So few?”

His brother’s ashen frown was set on him with such intensity that he felt the temptation to flinch.

“All of us do not have your experience as a killing machine in Harad and the Vale. And all of us do not find this entertaining, or funny.”

“I do not find dinners with scheming bastards entertaining or funny, either. Perhaps you should have listened to me from the beginning and refused the invitation, though I’m sure you will claim that it was a necessary evil to play the Merchant Princes’ game. Well, so was this!” Isildur argued, bothered by that tone which seemed to imply that everything was somehow his fault. “And this is still Pelargir; the farther we go North, the less civilized it will get. So you either hire a good number of killing machines, or you might as well face the possibility that we may die.”

Anárion fixed his glance on the floor, looking as if he had been struck. Just when Isildur was going to open his mouth again, he nodded slowly.

“You may be right.”

Today was a day of firsts, or so it appeared. But of course it is, you idiot, Malik spat, it is the first time your brother has killed a man. And the first time he has been about to die. And he also thought that you were dead. And –well, you get the picture.

Anárion had never been the sort to inspire brotherly feelings, especially of the kind that an older brother held for the younger. Since he was a child, he had always made crystal clear that he could manage everything on his own, and much better than anyone else. Isildur could not be blamed for staying away from this as much as he could. And yet, as we have established, this is a day of firsts, isn’t it?

He took a sharp breath.

“It gets better after a while”, he said, trying not to feel embarrassed under his friend’s amused gaze. “Really, it does. And if it doesn’t, that is what the drink is for.”

Anárion stared at him with the most soulfully unreadable look that Isildur had ever seen in his eyes. For a moment, there was no way to even tell if he was going to utter some angry retort or start crying. Isildur cringed; he did not want to imagine Anárion crying. That would be too much.

“Thank you”, he said, instead, in such a low voice that it was almost impossible to make out the words. And then, before Isildur could say anything to this, he turned his back on him and left.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“To… to sa… sail… to… Va-val… vali…Valinor when… you… will…, and… to… re…ret… return… when… you… when you p- please… to… you, no, your… ho-mes. That…ca… can-not… be. No…can… the…Va…Va-lar…”

Nor can the Valar”, Lalwendë corrected gently. Fíriel retraced her tentative steps across what looked to her like a hellishly steep path, doing her best not to slip and fall in the process. She had a sudden image of herself flapping her arms to keep her balance, looking as stupid as Gimilzagar back when he had been learning to walk on rocks.

“Nor can the Valar”, she repeated, though she had absolutely no idea of what this could mean. The letters told her the sounds that her mouth should make, but to her they were just a strange babble that did not make sense. “What is ‘nor’? Shouldn’t it be ‘no’, or ‘not’?”

“It is a word that we use to join a sentence to a previous one, when both have a negative meaning”, Ilmarë explained, an exasperated edge to her tone. “By all the Valar, girl, you told us that you had been taught to read!”

“I have!” Fíriel’s temper was also not buried very far underneath her skin today. “I know how to read, I was reading just now! I am sorry if I never had a lot of chances to practice! Books do not grow from the earth, and they are not fished from the water!”

“And that is exactly why we are here!” Lalwendë gave her a slightly too bright smile. “So you can hone your reading skills.”

Fíriel might not have achieved too much in that department, so far, but at least she had done better when it came to reading Ilmarë’s emotions. Most of the time that she seemed angry at her, deep down, she was actually angry at herself. Right now, she must be thinking that if she had not let the Queen trick her, Fíriel would be reading this text as if it was a piece of cake, and in tengwar, too. That it was her own fault that Fíriel was a stupid peasant. As if being able to read all that meaningless nonsense had been of much avail to her, the young woman thought, rebelliously. Knowing the difference between ‘not’ and ‘nor’ had not helped Ilmarë against the Queen, and Fíriel could not see how it could help her, either, unless there were instructions in there telling her how to become invisible.

“Why is this so important, anyway?” she could not refrain from asking, doing a great effort to keep the hostility and the frustration at bay. Gimilzagar had never said an ugly word about the things she had been good at, even though he had sucked at them. Why did she feel so negatively about something that she could not do?

“If everybody in Númenor had been able to read the ancient wisdom from the books of our elders, the Blasphemous King would never have been able to bring the worship of Melkor to the Island”, Ilmarë explained, as if she was trying to teach something obvious to a child. “Those who cannot read are easily made to believe in lies and fall to evil, because they cannot access the truth by themselves.”

This managed to touch a nerve inside Fíriel, in spite of her better resolutions.

“My family never read any books, and yet they did not believe in lies or fell to evil!”

“That is because the common folk tend to follow their lords, and those, thankfully, could read.”

Aghast, the girl turned towards the source of the voice, and realized that Lady Irimë must have been in the room for at least part of the argument. She was the absolute opposite from the easy-going Lady Lalwendë, and had no reason to see Fíriel as an equal, so this outburst had probably given her abundant reason to form a negative opinion on her.

“I see that you remain intent in your project of civilising this girl, Lady Lalwendë, Lady Ilmarë” the lady said, approaching the table where the three of them were sitting. “That is very dutiful of you, though I am afraid it might be a little too late for education to be entirely effective. Only young saplings can be straightened; older trees remain bent.”

“We appreciate your opinion, Lady Irimë, but this is none of your business”, Ilmarë replied, with such a gelid tone of voice that even Fíriel was taken aback. Courtesy was another part of her “education”, and they had also been trying to convince her of the importance of it, but as it turned out they did not always follow their own rules.

Even worse, Fíriel thought, Anárion’s betrothed was looking from her to Ilmarë, and from Ilmarë to her in a way that struck her as strangely - alert. Perhaps it was a trick of her overactive imagination, but for a second she wondered if Irimë’s hawkish, penetrant eyes could have discovered the truth. Fíriel would not put it past her.

“I apologize if I have offended you, my lady”, she replied, to the girl’s surprise. From the image Fíriel had been building of this woman in her head, apologizing was not something that she would do on a daily basis. Maybe she was just better at this courtesy thing than either Fíriel or her mother, and wanted to rub it in. “But I must confess to some personal interest in what you are doing here. When my sister Irissë was young, the brunt of the difficult task of raising her into a lady of a noble house fell to me. I was much younger than I am now, myself, and though it pains me to admit it, there was much trial and much error involved.” She was once young and made mistakes, it figured, Fíriel thought ironically, but she did not even dare look in her mother’s direction, afraid of implicating her in her not very courteous thoughts. “It occurred to me that perhaps you could find an use for some of the insights I gained in the process. Though I can appreciate that the circumstances are different, of course.”

Fíriel would have loved to ask if those “different circumstances” referred to her being one half peasant, one quarter barbarian, or just not an airheaded twat like Lady Irissë. But this time, Lady Lalwendë spoke before either Ilmarë or Fíriel could even think of opening their mouths.

“That is very generous of you. You are indeed welcome to share your advice with us as soon as we are finished here, Lady Irimë, and we will be grateful for it.”

In other words, do as you wish, but not now, for Fíriel was here before you, and she is not to be talked about as if she was not present. So this was the proper use of courtesy: to tell someone to fuck off while taking away their right to feel angry and lash back. For the first time in that day, Fíriel could see a point in any of the teachings they had been trying to impart to her. She would learn that one, she thought.

“I will do that, my lady.” Lady Irimë bowed herself away, with a regal nod of her proud head. Once that she and her servants had departed, Ilmarë’s barely neutral gaze became one of intense dislike.

“Yes, you certainly will”, she spat after her. Lady Lalwendë shook her head.

“Do not be so hasty to judge, Ilmarë. I know that she might seem… abrasive sometimes, but I have the feeling that she means well.”

“Aside from implying that Fíriel is a halfwit and that you and I have no idea of what we are doing?”

Lady Lalwendë sighed softly, and gazed at Fíriel with an apologetic look.

“Yes, aside from that. She does love Anárion sincerely.”

“And how does that excuse her behaviour? I know that you are his mother, but the rest of us are not Anárion, and we are not the ones marrying her!”

Fíriel was surprised to hear them argue so openly in front of her. She realized that she did not mind at all, for this, more than anything they had said or done before now, made her feel as if she was standing among her peers – her own kin.

“That is where you are wrong, my daughter. To her, we are all Anárion, in a sense.”

“What?” The girl could not help but agree heartily with that assessment.

“We are Anárion’s family, and she wants Anárion’s family to thrive and excel in every possible way. That is why she has set herself to solve all our problems, whether they are political, economic or personal in nature, perfect our characters and prevent us from falling into anarchy or decadence.” For a moment, it looked as if Lalwendë herself would roll her eyes, but she did not. “Where she comes from, the actions of proud and foolish men and the inaction of silly women destroyed everything she had once taken for granted: their lordship, their seat in the Council, their wealth, even the lives of their loved ones. From what I have gathered, she seems to believe that she could have prevented it if anyone had listened to her. And perhaps she would have, for she is talented, even if she will have to realize one day that she cannot control everything. Not even her own sister”, she remarked with a brief smile, a concession to gossip among all the serious talk. Fíriel gazed at the threshold through which the woman had disappeared a while ago, thoughtful.

“So, she is interested in…perfecting my character, just because I am Anárion’s family?” Whether she knew that she was Ilmarë’s secret love daughter, or she believed the official story that the Lord of Andúnië had shamed himself with some village girl after his wife’s death. To Lady Irimë this must have seemed the height of anarchy and decadence, Fíriel thought wryly. At least she had not suggested that they shipped her off to the mainland.

“If she is, I would not want to be in Anárion’s shoes”, Ilmarë snorted, then frowned thoughtfully, as if she had read part of Fíriel’s own thoughts. “She already must not think too highly of Grandfather, both for the Fíriel affair and for his hand in the events that had us exiled here. And she probably thinks that Father defers to him too much. If it gets into her head that Anárion is the last hope of the house of Andúnië, she will drive him so hard that he will collapse, not that he would ever think of complaining. And in any case, “she turned to Fíriel again, “I will never let her do that to you.”

She did not know what on Earth possessed her to shrug.

“Do not worry. I can take care of myself.”

Ilmarë stared in disbelief, but Lalwendë smiled.

“Oh, we know that.  Now, if only you would learn to fend her off delicately instead of hitting her across the face like you did the Prince, your future perspectives might improve.”

That, again. “The Prince told me to hit him.”

Her mother’s eyes widened.

“An admirable disposition, but not very common. Even among those of us who are not princes.”

“Do I still need to read, then?” Fíriel asked, not too hopeful. Ilmarë sized her up in apparent disapproval, but there was a new, playful spark in her glance which had been absent until now. All of a sudden, it struck Fíriel how very beautiful she was, and how much of a dream princess she would have appeared to her father when they were both growing up in Andúnië. Her sullen moods often did not leave room for realizations of this kind.

“I am afraid you do. One way or another, we will straighten this crooked tree, even if it pelts our heads with rotten fruit for our efforts” she announced, in such a good impression of Lady Irimë’s voice that Lady Lalwendë shook her head in half-hearted reproach.

Fíriel laughed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Move right! No, right! What are you… damn!” Pain exploded on his right arm, and as his knees hit the hard earth, he could not prevent himself from crying out. He fought hard not to let go of his sword, knowing that Father would be angrier if he did, but there wasn’t much he could do with it at this point except curling against it so it would not be wrested away from him. And that, of course, was also the wrong thing to do.

“The sword is there to protect your body, not the other way around!” Abdazer scolded him, in a harsher tone than the one he normally used, whenever Gimilzagar’s father was not there to stress him out. Though the man’s rational mind should know well enough that his pupil was not forgetting his teachings on purpose, and that today his fighting form was just as bad as any other day, a part of him still wanted to blame the Prince for making him look bad in front of the King. As if Gimilzagar did not have anything else to worry about than Lord Abdazer’s Court standing.

“That was disgraceful!” Ar Pharazôn declared from the veranda, his voice still hoarse from the shouting. Sometimes, he tended to get a little carried away when watching his son make a fool of himself.

“A-at least I was not disarmed this time”, Gimilzagar tried to argue, though he immediately saw disapproval staring back at him from the faces of both men.

“Oh, that is true. You would have made a gallant corpse on the battlefield, hugging your sword to your chest”, his father nodded, sarcastically. “People would tell stories about the prince of Númenor who died for a piece of metal that he did not know how to use.”

Slowly, gritting his teeth, Gimilzagar struggled back to his feet. His knee felt wet, and he winced, certain that it had to be oozing blood. He hated blood. As much as he hated this whole, pointless charade, how he was trained every day and admonished as if he was going to be dropped off in the middle of a raging battlefield with only his skill and his courage to keep him alive. They all knew that his father would never do this, so what was the point in pretending? Was it just the vindictive pleasure he derived from torturing him?

“I am sorry to say I am not making much headway with the Prince in combat, my lord King, but he does excel at other disciplines which are better suited for a general, such as military strategy”, Abdazer was saying now, as if he, too, was bothered by this contradiction. “In fact, the other day he defeated me at…”

“Bullshit”, Gimilzagar’s father cut him before he could even finish the sentence. “Those are mere children’s games. That a boy ends the game with more captured tokens than you does not make him a general.” Gimilzagar opened his mouth to intervene, but he closed it again when Ar Pharazôn stared him down. “Do you think that an army is like a board full of tokens, that they will stay where you put them, and go where you send them while you sit comfortably in your tent? I do not care how clever you are, you need to be in the middle of it, to see how it is by yourself. You may have a great imagination, powers of foresight, of perception, or whatever it is that you have inherited from your mother, but how can you possibly know what a man feels when he is faced by a charging enemy, when he is surrounded by a superior force, when he is standing his ground against an unexpected attack, if you have never been there? How do you know how they will react, whether they will defend their position or throw the board at your face?”

Gimilzagar would never know what gave him the courage to say what came to his mind then.

“I know how I would feel, my lord King. I would be frightened, and I would flee. I do not need to be there to know it.”

For a moment, Ar Pharazôn was speechless, as if unable to decide what response would be appropriate for this insolence. To Gimilzagar’s surprise, however, he did not yell at him.

“At least you are not frightened to tell me that to my face. I will consider it an improvement”, he declared. Then, he turned towards the Prince’s instructor. “Give me your sword, Abdazer.”

Gimilzagar’s blood left his face when it dawned on him what the King planned to do. Instinctively, he stepped back.

“I...”

“Is this how far your courage will go? You just talked back to me, why not keep it there for a little longer?” As fast as he could, the Prince blocked a thrust, but his feet were not firmly planted on the ground like Abdazer had told him many times they should. Just before he lost his balance, he managed to jump backwards. When he moved to pull his sword with him, the King disengaged his own weapon first and struck his unguarded left flank. Gimilzagar did not fall, but he doubled over with a smothered groan. “How do you think that the soldiers of Númenor would feel if they saw this, Gimilzagar? Would they follow you to the end of the world? Would they die for you?”

Gimilzagar had parried two more thrusts with a shaky pulse, still smarting from the pain of the recent attack and the previous ones. When the King asked this question, however, he lost his grip, and allowed himself to be disarmed with a thunderous clatter. His vision was hazy, and not just from exhaustion.

“Does anyone have a say about that?” he asked, in a low voice. Behind him, Abdazer gasped. Pharazôn kicked the sword away, and pressed the point of his own blade against Gimilzagar’s throat as matter-of-factly as if he had done it a hundred times before. Because of course, he had.

“Soldiers are not barbarians or criminals, Gimilzagar. They are there because they chose to, and if they do not like you, they will do their duty and nothing more. And if they do their duty and nothing more, the Númenórean empire will fall.” The Prince stayed perfectly still, even though he knew that the sword was not sharpened. The memory of his father pressing a similar blade against the pulsating throat of one of those unfortunate peasants in the temple of Sor was so vivid in his mind that he felt paralyzed. “Long before I was King, long before I conquered Mordor and the vast lands beyond it, I sailed to the mainland to live with the soldiers as one of them. I slept with them, ate with them, fought with them, was ambushed and survived desperate situations with them. Only after I knew them well, I became able to lead them successfully.”

The blade was removed from his throat, and Gimilzagar could breathe freely at last.

“You will remain by my side at all times, because if I sent you to do as I did, you would not survive the experience. But that is not what Númenor truly needs. Do you understand what I am saying, Gimilzagar? What Númenor needs is for the heir to the Sceptre to be as good a general as his father, so he can keep his conquests intact and subdue all rebellions, and keep the wealth and tribute flowing.”

“And I am not that general”, Gimilzagar concluded; to his surprise, there was no bitterness in his voice. “Still, in spite of my… limitations, I should try my hardest to prevent the soldiers and the people from ever finding out how inadequate I am. I must somehow pretend to be that general, or Númenor will fall into ruin. Is that it, Father?”

Ar Pharazôn gave a step, then two, in his direction, and extended a hand to help pull Gimilzagar to his feet.

“Yes”, he said. “That was indeed my point.”

In other words, the Prince thought, walking towards his sword to pick it up, it had never been anything personal. If Ar Pharazôn had been Eshmounazer, the merchant from Sor, he would probably have been happy enough to have him as a son, dismissing his quirks and weaknesses with a fond smile.

But he was Gimilzagar, the Prince of the West. And any world where his father did not hold the Sceptre, and he was allowed to spend his summers by the seaside with the girl he loved without horrible things happening was a mere fantasy, a fantasy he should learn to say goodbye to.

“Then, I shall try my best”, he bowed, trying not to be distracted by the inconvenient thought that this, too, would be just another fantasy rising to take the place of the old. If he detected this hesitation, however, Ar Pharazôn gave no signs of it when he nodded back at his son.

“I am glad that we understand each other” he said, handing back the sword to the still thunderstruck Abdazer. “You can go back to your practice now.”

North and South I

This part might feel a little rambling, but sometimes it's hard to take the characters to the place where they are supposed to be. :( Also, for the Pharazôn and Gimilzagar part, from this chapter on, it might be useful to remember the companion story "The Chosen".

Read North and South I

Isildur leaned on the railing, gazing in silence at the chain of mountains that stood guard over this mysterious land, their peaks hidden under an impenetrable mass of cloud. The sky above his head had been growing greyer as the day progressed, as it had happened increasingly often since they crossed the Númenórean frontier, marked by the mouth of the Agathurush and the garrison and harbour of the Middle Havens. Soon, the rain would start falling in quick and violent showers, accompanied by sudden gusts of wind, which would cease only to leave a veiled sun in their wake. The pale rays of that sun, however, gave such little warmth that their clothes would remain wet until they huddled around the stove to dry them.

Now you know why the King does not want to come here, Malik often said. Still, according to the Middle Havens commander, the weather was not so bad after one grew accustomed to it, as hard as this might seem to a newcomer to believe, and summers were very beautiful. Isildur assumed that anyone forced to live there for years would need to find comfort in something.

Back when they landed in his dominions, and warily accepted his insistent invitations to share meals –both Isildur and Anárion agreed that they would not accept any offers to spend the night in his guest quarters, no matter how inviting beds could look to them at this stage-, the man had proved quite loquacious, and not just about the weather. Anárion had remained suspicious, measuring his every word and gesture while they were in the Commander’s presence, but Isildur’s instinct told him that this was not like the false geniality of the Magistrate of Pelargir. The man seemed genuinely lonely, and eager to exchange news with someone other than his underlings and the sullen-faced barbarians who brought the timber from upriver to ship to the Númenórean territories. After the first day, they discovered that the son of the Magistrate’s associate, the one who had been “recommended” as a source of information to them, was chiefly responsible for making his life miserable. Banished here because his father had been shamed by his behaviour in front of his peers one time too many, he was on a mission to build “a name” for himself and show his family how wrong they had been about him –which apparently involved trying to get his superior framed for incompetence so he could have his post, and bribing everyone in his way to turn them against him.

As for the barbarians living in this part of the world, the Númenóreans of the Middle Havens all agreed that they were among the worst one could meet in any area of the mainland. They were uncouth, ignorant savages in peace, and downright vicious in war. Their very appearance was repelling to the eye, for they did not cut their hair or their beards for any reason, and they had it as a point of honour to wash their bodies as little as they could. Back when they had been Forest People, it was told, they had used dirt to camouflage themselves and ambush their enemies in the wilderness, but now that they spent most of their days doing honest work, the stench of their unwashed sweat would give them away before they were even in the enemy’s line of sight. Still, they kept a stubborn adherence to their customs, too proud or too stupid to realize that they had not made sense for a hundred years.

In the early years of Tar Palantir’s reign, before either Isildur or Anárion had been born, there had been a great uprising in these lands, when the natives decided that the treaty they had signed with the Númenóreans in exchange for protection against a horde of Northern invaders was no longer valid. After it was quelled, many of the Forest People, especially the younger and more able-bodied among them, had fled North, looking for new places to live away from Númenórean rule. They had formed large bands under the command of their fiercest warriors, and the thin veneer of civilization they had acquired from cohabitation with the Sea People had fallen off as easily as an ill-fitting garment. Some of them managed to drive off their even more savage cousins from their lands, where they built their own settlements; others had perished in the attempt, and there were stories about a third group which had travelled even further, beyond the reach of knowledge or rumour.

The Commander of the Middle Havens cared little for those stories. He had been appointed with the sole purpose of guaranteeing the production of timber, so nothing that did not threaten it directly was considered his responsibility. Whatever lay North of the river only interested him when the warrior bands disrupted the cutting or the delivery process, increasingly drawn out and difficult because of deforestation, or when too many workers tried to flee beyond the frontier to try their luck with their sundered kinsmen. Five years ago, he told them, he had sailed there at the head of his troops, burned a few villages and made a large number of prisoners that he had sent to Pelargir, where they turned up their noses and sent him word that they were barely good enough for sacrificing. Whatever they had done with them down South, however, the rest of their people had remained rather quiet since then. He did not know how long that would last, for their memories were short, and their persistence quite notorious, but he prayed that the day they grew bold again, that insolent young dissolute would have to deal with it and discover that money and birth were of no use whatsoever before a rabid pack of savages.

“It sounds like a terrible situation”, Anárion had remarked, once they left the man’s fireside after an especially late drinking session. Before they undertook this trip together, Isildur had not believed him capable of voicing any of his insecurities- in fact, he had not even been aware that his brother had any. But since their brush with death in Pelargir, something seemed to have changed inside him. It could be misunderstood as proof that he was still feeling out of sorts, but Isildur suspected otherwise: his brother was just doing what he usually did, which was to adapt to the circumstances around him. He had assimilated to his new role in this new land, and understood that it required him to admit that he did not have everything under control and look to others for counsel. “From what Grandfather told us, I already knew this was an unfriendly area, but to deal with so many years of deep-seated grievances? How can there ever be peace between them and our colonies?”

“Easily”, Isildur shrugged. “Our host seems to have managed well enough.”

“By curbing their aggression with more aggression! Even if that was an option in our circumstances, would that make us any better than they are? This is their land, and they were here long before we came!”

Isildur had not been wholly serious, as it could be expected after all the wine he had drunk. Still, what Anárion said was something that he could not accept either. People who had never been outside the Island often spoke like this, he had heard it all more times than he could count, but their idealism never lasted long.

“Why, you sound like them now, awarding land ownership as if it was a right held since time immemorial! But you are not one of the short-lived folk, and you have access to ancient memories and written records, while for them ten years ago was already the remote past. In truth, these tribesmen came by this land because they slaughtered or drove away their previous inhabitants, and we know for a fact that they did the same in the places where they live now. If we were to drive them away from where they are, they will go somewhere else.”

“Except that the Forest People did not go away, according to our host. They remained here, right beyond the border, waiting for an opportunity to revenge themselves on the Númenóreans and regain what they lost. They have been doing so for a hundred years now. “Idealist or not, Anárion never ran short of rational arguments. “How would it be any different for us?”

“Because the Númenóreans did not let them go. They fled, while their families had to stay and do the dirty work of their enemies. They are held against their will, and treated like cattle. Poor neighbours always raid rich neighbours, no matter whether they are treated ill or not. You should have been in the Vale of Arne to witness by yourself how the mountain folk fended off each and every one of our attempts at friendship and alliance, as a life of plunder and banditry was all they knew. But the Middle Havens keep no riches, no granaries, nothing but shiploads and shiploads of timber, which the tribes have no use for. If they keep coming, it is only because they remain aware that half of their own people is still hostage to the People of the Sea, and this keeps their wish for revenge alive.”

Anárion seemed to ponder this for a brief moment.

“So, you would drive them away without hard feelings, let them take their kin with them, and expect them to go quietly and never come back?” He shook his head in incredulity. “You mock others, but perhaps you are not free from the shortcoming of idealism yourself.”

“Oh, I do not expect all of them to leave.” The pleasant, wine-induced haze was almost gone now. “As I said, poor neighbours will always raid rich neighbours, hard feelings or not. But that would happen even if we had not stepped a single foot on their territory, took any of their lands or fought any of their tribes. It is the way of the world. You could beg them for their friendship and shower them with gifts, grain, and precious metals, and they will merely think you weak and demand more. Forget about having them live among your people, for they will never respect any laws. If it is idealistic to believe that we cannot stop this, but only take steps to limit its impact, then the word no longer holds the meaning I knew. But then again, I have never been a very learned man.”

“So”, Anárion concluded, “if I have understood your point correctly, driving them away with all their people would limit the impact of their plunder and robbery to a tolerable amount. Perhaps we would not need to sacrifice them to Melkor, then?” His irony was subdued, but no less clear from his tone. “In any case, you speak as if you were the King of Númenor. As if we could order the Middle Havens garrison to be disbanded, halt the timber production and let the Forest People go where they will. But we have no power to do any of those things. If we founded a settlement somewhere North of here, we would have to contend both with their normal raiding disposition and their hatred of Númenóreans. And, as the Magistrate already warned us, no might of the Sceptre to back us in our endeavours. Would you leave any colonists there, knowing that next year you could find them all slaughtered?”

That, Isildur had to admit, was a very reasonable point. How his brother was able to turn the tables on him in this manner was a mystery that would escape his brain even if it was not the tiniest bit clouded.

“Then let us hope, for the sake of our endeavours, that there will be less dangerous territories farther up North”, he said, with a shrug. “And that the Elves who live there will have more useful intelligence to share.”

He had expressed this wish more as a peace offering with which to bring their disagreement to a close than anything else. But if he was to be completely honest, Isildur still had not managed to see this colonizing venture as his endeavour. He had embraced it as an opportunity to leave the Island behind and escape his demons, but he did not fancy acting the diplomat, and playing house at the ends of the world would suit him even less. Anárion, not to mention his wife-to-be, would probably delight in measuring perimeters, dividing fields, planning the disposition of buildings and laying down laws, even in trying to establish alliances with neighbouring peoples. For that, peace was a necessary requirement, but it was not so for Isildur. War suited him just fine: he would even revel in it, after so many years of being unable to raise his sword against the enemies who surrounded him.

So, because you cannot fight the bigger bully, you will take it out on this people. Isn’t that behaviour just like theirs, when they drove others away because they were fleeing the Númenóreans? Malik said, leaning on the mast with a reproachful look. Isildur shook his head.

“You know I do not judge them. Just as I would never have judged your grandfather for killing the Númenóreans who killed his people. We all do what we must to survive. And if my elders and betters claim that we need to settle in these lands to survive, they must be aware that we will need to kill others to do so.”

And that makes you happy.

“Would it help anyone if it made me miserable?”

I remember when we fought in Harad, and the Vale. If you look back on it, it was very bleak business, wasn’t it? We saw terrible things, did them, and narrowly escaped them more than once. Yes, we had each other, and that is enough for us to think of it as a fond memory. But you know that, even if you were to return to all those places, and do the same things over and over again, none of it would be enough to bring me back. Tell me, Isildur, will you still feel the same way about it then?

Isildur tried to swallow, his eyes lost in the white lines of breaking waves near the shore. It seemed like an easy task, but it proved surprisingly hard to accomplish.

“I do not know, Malik”, he replied, with a sincerity that felt painful even as he forced it out of his system. “All I know is that part of my soul is still there, in those desert roads and jagged precipices. Just as part of your soul is still here with me. You, of all people, should understand.”

The ghost remained silent. As Isildur managed to breathe regularly again, the sun emerged from behind the clouds, wringing a golden gleam from the surface of the Sea in a bay that stretched ahead of them, presided by the twin promontories of a narrow strait. Just at that moment, Anárion approached him, so quietly that he had to wonder if he could have been listening in to the conversation.

“According to Father’s maps, that should be the gulf of Lune”, his brother informed, in a low voice which belied the excitement in his eyes. “Do you see how the clouds part and the weather changes when we approach the land of the Elves?”

“Well, if they know how to command the elements, that might come in even handier than their intelligence”, Isildur replied, hiding his turmoil behind a joking tone.

While their small fleet progressed across the gulf, however, and despite his initial disbelief, he had to admit that the weather changed a little too drastically to attribute it to chance alone. They sky grew cloudless, the afternoon sun glowed as bright as it did on a spring day in Andúnië, and even the wind disappeared, bringing in a mild temperature which made him long to discard his cloak. Shielding his eyes from the radiance, Isildur saw shapes moving in a venerable-looking watchtower that stood on one of the promontories.

“They have spotted us –and hopefully also our flags, if their eyes are as keen as they say”, Anárion remarked. “I doubt that regular Númenórean ships are still a welcome sight among them.”

This remark made Isildur think. He had no doubt that the sentinels were able to see that they came in friendship, but if they had been a fleet sent by Ar Pharazôn, would the Elves be able to successfully drive them away? They might wield magic to protect their dwellings, but so had Sauron, and it had availed him nothing before the relentless superiority of the Númenórean army. According to their great-grandfather, who had lived here for a long time, Elves were fewer than Men by this point, for they did not bear many children, and there was an endless trickle of emigrants taking ship for the Undying Lands. Sometimes, Isildur had heard his kinsmen ask themselves why had Sauron not counselled Ar Pharazôn to conquer Lindon yet, given the hatred that the Deceiver harboured for his enemies of old. Númendil always kept a troubled silence during those discussions, which made Isildur think that he might have received some disquieting glimpse of the future that he was not ready to share with the rest.

In any case, their small fleet was soon approached by three boats, whose manoeuvrability and speed surpassed even those of the Númenóreans. The Elf who hailed them had hazel eyes and a very melodious voice, which contrasted sharply with theirs, making them sound almost like barks. He was one of the local Sindar, and though he sounded friendly enough in his address, it soon became apparent to Isildur that language would pose a problem. At home, they spoke Quenya amongst themselves, but he had not had the chance to practice Sindarin since he was tutored in it as a young man. Not for the first time, he wondered why it was so, considering that most Elves in Middle Earth did not even speak Quenya at all, and the Blessed Realm had not sent ships for centuries. At some point, he supposed, the proud wish to alienate themselves from the rest of the Númenóreans must have turned into a goal of its own, unimpeded by such mundane considerations as communicating with their allies.

Thankfully, he had Anárion with him, who greeted the envoy with enough fluidity as to make up for Isildur’s lack of response. They held a brief exchange afterwards, which Isildur was only partly able to follow, though he still nodded along. In the end, that is what you always do, even when the conversation is in plain Adûnaic, Malik snorted. Now, you just have found a better excuse.

“We have been invited to spend the night as guests in a nearby coastal town, and to proceed to the Grey Havens in the morning”, Anárion translated, after their interlocutor had bowed gracefully to both of them and returned to his boat. “Their lord, Círdan, will meet with us there. I do not think he speaks Quenya, either.” His look grew reproachful. “Isildur, don’t tell me you did not brush up your Sindarin at all before our journey! I spent months doing it, and practiced my conversation with Irimë, who was learning it along with me. If you had told us that you required help, we would have been only too glad to be of service!”

Isildur stared at him, not knowing what to say. When his brother put it like this, it seemed as if it would have been the obvious thing to do, but somehow he had not even thought of the possibility. Perhaps because the Anárion he had known in Númenor was not a person he would have asked any kind of personal favours from.

Or perhaps because the Isildur your brother knew in Númenor was an idiot.

“Never mind”, he shrugged, feigning nonchalance. “You are better at doing the talking anyway.”

Anárion’s brow creased in a frown.

“You do not exactly make that difficult.”

“So?” It may have been months since he had last seen this peevish, petulant mood in his brother’s countenance. “I do not begrudge you your ability. In fact, do you know what? If I ever get to be the lord of something, I will still let you do the talking.”

“Then you should be careful, lest people forget that you are supposed to be their lord at all”, Anárion retorted, before turning away to start giving instructions to the men.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The first stages of the trip had turned out better than what he had expected. So far, there were at least two occasions in which Gimilzagar had managed to prove his fears wrong. On the eve of their departure, the Prince had stood through the entire ceremony in the temple of Sor without either flinching, making faces or looking away –even though he disappeared by the end of it and stayed in his room for the rest of the day, at least he had the decency to keep his weakness private-, and when their ship left the harbour for the open Sea on the next morning, he had remained on deck, staring at the receding silhouettes of the Warrior and the King and the endless blue plain ahead of them, instead of locking himself in his cabin to throw up his breakfast. The boy had always had some kind of affinity with the Sea, as confirmed by the fact that he had met that girl gathering shellfish on a beach, but Pharazôn had not thought it would be enough to cancel his uncanny ability to embarrass his father in front of other people.

Now, however, he felt that he had to re-evaluate his impressions. Gimilzagar had improved, and Pharazôn was tempted to attribute it to that conversation they had during the Prince’s sword practice session. Which would be quite ironic, as Zimraphel had been telling him for years that he should be very careful about what he said to the boy, and he had often heard her weave fantastic tales to convince their son that he was not inadequate, that his powers were so great that common mortals could not understand them, and that he did not need to change because the world itself would change to accommodate him. All that claptrap had not had any visible effect on Gimilzagar’s behaviour that Pharazôn was aware of, while the honest truth alone had brought a positive change.

Then again, he thought, any arguments he might have gathered to prove that her approach was wrong and his was right had remained unused in the end. True to her form, she had taken him off-guard by displaying the total opposite behaviour from the one he had expected. He did not know if the Prince had run crying to her or not, but she had not challenged Pharazôn, not when he came up with the idea of dragging her precious son to the mainland, nor when he told Gimilzagar what Númenor stood to lose from his succession. As always, Pharazôn had not been stupid enough to confuse this acquiescence with surrender, and his most immediate thought had been that she must have some glimpse of the future that she had not bothered to tell any of them. Courtiers and councilmen used to grumble through their teeth that Pharazôn trusted no one, that he was ready to believe the worst of anyone without proof while he dismissed good intentions as a barefaced lie. The truth was, that blind trust in Zigûr’s grand projects and Zimraphel’s mad visions required so much of his efforts, brought him so many sleepless nights, that he had no more to waste on anyone else.

That was why he was always happy to take ship to the mainland, and concentrate in those tasks that neither Zigûr nor Zimraphel could interfere with, though they still derived their power from them. As he had told Gimilzagar, the Númenórean empire could only be made or unmade by the strength of arms, and foresight and sorcery could be of great help with this, but they would be worth nothing without a good general who knew his business and was followed by his troops. A defeated enemy who could not even hold his own fortress and a woman were both incapable of fulfilling this role. Without Pharazôn, in fact, Zimraphel would be nothing but a puppet ruler now, married to some fool against her will, and Zigûr would not have human lives to invoke his magic from. And Gimilzagar, even if he had managed not to die in infancy or succumb to one of the attempts of the Baalim-worshippers who wanted him dead, would grow into an even weaker Tar Palantir, under whose rule the mainland empire would be broken into a hundred pieces while the Island descended into chaos. The greatest sorcerer or visionary in the world, without a strong army to support him, was just a madman –or a freak.

“And how is it possible to anticipate exactly how long will our ship take to cross the Sea?” In his vicinity, Gimilzagar was pelting the captain with curious questions, which the man was trying to answer to his satisfaction.

“It is possible to calculate it from the nature and trajectory of the winds and currents, my lord prince. Back when I started sailing, we could only give estimates, for currents were easy to predict, but the wind could change at the slightest whim of the gods. We could even lose our lives, if we had the misfortune of becoming caught in a bad storm! But this changed since the lord Zigûr came to Númenor. Now, we always know that the wind will be favourable and swift, because he taught us how to get the gods to listen properly to us and grant us our wishes.”

“Oh. I see.” Gimilzagar looked a little thoughtful as he nodded. Pharazôn wondered if getting evidence that the sacrifices benefitted everyone around him in ways he had not previously considered would distract the boy from that stubborn fixation with his own responsibility. “So we only have to send advance notice from Númenor, and the people in Umbar will know exactly on which day our fleet will arrive.”

“Indeed, my lord prince. Once that we cross the First Wall, you will be greeted by the sight of all the loyal Umbarians gathered in the harbour to catch a glimpse of your august countenance. I am sure the whole city will be astir, since it is the first time that their beloved Prince of the West sets foot in any of the territories of his mainland inheritance!”

“Is it true that the First Wall is made by reefs, and that it was not built by the hand of man?” Gimilzagar asked, ignoring the man’s rosy anticipations of the colonists’ reaction to his presence. Perhaps he was apprehensive enough about it to wish to put it out of his mind –he had always disliked people-, or perhaps he was disillusioned enough not to set store by those flattering half-truths. Pharazôn had always liked to see himself as jaded, but deep inside the Golden Prince had taken universal love and admiration for granted since he was a child, and though others would never guess it from his attitude, he still felt the wilful hatred from certain sectors of the Númenórean population as a personal slight. To even imagine how it would feel to learn, at a young age, that people he had never done anything to thought him an abomination and wanted him dead was a sheer impossibility to him. All he knew is that, if he had been Gimilzagar, he would have begged to cut the throats of those Baalim-worshippers himself. But then again, he was not Gimilzagar, and, -more to the point-, Gimilzagar was not him. Though at least for now, he appeared to be trying.

Repressing a sigh, Pharazôn focused on his son’s expression of genuine interest as the ship’s captain described the passage through the reefs with the precision of a storyteller. He desperately wanted this trip to succeed in awakening Gimilzagar to the realities of his position in the world, and to have him rise to meet the challenge. He had set much store by it, too much perhaps, considering the circumstances that surrounded the endeavour. But it was not just because of Númenor or its perceived future, though this was the only part of it that he had managed to relay to the Prince. Closer to his heart, and therefore harder to put into words, other reasons moved him and informed his actions. He wanted his son to be his, someone who could understand him and whom he could understand, not his mother’s creature, a dark-eyed maddening enigma destined to escape his grasp like she always had. And on an even deeper level, there was something else, which often seemed contradictory with the words that he spoke, and the decisions that he made. He wanted Gimilzagar to be happy, and his whole being rebelled against the possibility that the boy could ever thrive like this. Unnatural powers had not brought his mother happiness: she had been happy despite them, never because of them. While a young Pharazôn had been soldiering and having adventures in the mainland, she had been locked in her rooms, surveyed day and night by old women who treated her as if she was made of glass and could break at any moment. He wanted his son to have the mainland and the soldiers, not the prison in the Palace and the old women.

So you would stretch his feet on a rack to have him fill your shoes, Zimraphel had said once, accusingly. And you think that you are doing it for his sake. Pharazôn had not even bothered to deny this charge, for he was guilty of it, and now more than ever. He would reshape Gimilzagar entirely, no matter the pain or the cost, if only that would free the boy from the gloom that cast its shadow over him. His son might not like the sight of blood and death, the hardships of the army, or being in the public eye, but against an existence full of self-hatred, guilt, and the deep-seated conviction that he should be dead, even he would have to admit which was the better pick of the two.

“I am quite eager to see those reefs”, the Prince was saying now –perhaps a good omen, given the direction of his father’s thoughts. “The way you have described them, they must be a grand sight.”

The captain smiled, and bowed low.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As the captain had predicted, they arrived on the scheduled day, to a packed harbour where crowds of curious Umbarians fought for a peek of the King and the Prince of Númenor behind the Magistrate, his councilmen, and their respective retinues. Gimilzagar was not disappointed by the reefs, and he stood on the ship’s prow gazing at them in wide-eyed awe, but he was not so interested in the city or the people. Pharazôn could see him clench his teeth and fix his eyes on the points of his feet as they left the ship, received the homage of the dignitaries, and rode past rows of people towards the reception in the Magistrate’s palace.

“Look up and show pride”, the King scolded. “You are the Prince of the West, not an errant child.”

Gimilzagar did look up, but his features had a strained expression which had nothing to do with the scolding. If Pharazôn did not know better, he would have believed his son to be nursing an injury of some sort. Even knowing better, however, he could not allow himself to relent.

“You must learn to overcome this weakness. I do not know what you are perceiving now, if it is their emotions, their thoughts, or their feelings, but they do not matter. They are just insignificant people whose petty likes or dislikes you should not be pondering even for a moment” he continued, wondering if Zimraphel would think him ridiculous for trying to admonish the boy about things he knew nothing about. “Instead of wasting your abilities on them, you would do better keeping them honed for serious threats.”

Gimilzagar nodded, with an expressionless look that gave Pharazôn no indication of what he thought of this advice. Still, he did not lower his eyes again, and he shifted from clenching his teeth to just clenching his fists behind his back.

The feast was splendid and quite excessive, as everything the Merchant Princes ever did. Endless plates of food, jars of wine, and gaggles of musicians and dancers succeeded each other at the vertiginous, punishing rhythm of sheer ostentation. Pharazôn took the challenge head on, eating and drinking heartily and no less ostentatiously, for his years in the mainland had tested and trained his stomach’s endurance in an even harsher way than that of his sword arm. In many of the places where he had been, the reputation of commanders stood less to lose from rejecting the demands of their allies than it did from rejecting their food and their drink.

Meanwhile, between bites and toasts, he made small talk with the Magistrate and his councilmen, in which he tried to involve Gimilzagar as well. He introduced him to everyone, informing them of the project to teach the boy about the world by taking him in a royal campaign. Instead of taking the cue, however, the wretch withdrew from the conversation, pretending to be too busy nibbling at some sweetmeat.  

His first exchange with a guest did not come until much later, when Pharazôn was looking elsewhere. A young councilman mentioned news about some tribe, and Gimilzagar suddenly started asking him rather longwinded questions about their customs, their language, and their appearance. At first, nobody paid this much attention, but as time passed and the boy seemed too engrossed in his relentless search for information to even remember about his surroundings, Pharazôn could see some of the guests move uncomfortably on their seats, pretending not to listen and gazing ahead so they could not be suspected of exchanging disloyal glances with each other. Gimilzagar’s interlocutor, meanwhile, was doing his best to weather the storm, answering the questions as well as he could, though it was obvious that he did not know much about the subject.

“The Prince is quite the scholar, my lord King!” the Magistrate remarked, with a smile that was a little too bright. Pharazôn gave him a withering glance, and the man bowed so low that he almost fell from his seat.

“The Prince is young and he has never been outside Númenor”, he said, and his tone made everyone around them fall silent. “He is curious about everything, and I believe his curiosity should be indulged. Don’t you?”

Gimilzagar, suddenly self-conscious, began mumbling an apology, to which Pharazôn replied with an angry frown. Sometime later, as he decided to retire for the night and motioned his son to follow, the boy could not manage to hide his bewilderment.

“What did I do wrong, Father?” he asked. Pharazôn could see from his demeanour that he was genuinely confused. “I was trying to make conversation, and I thought it was an interesting subject, and that it could be useful for the future if we ever…”

“Apologize”, Pharazôn interrupted him. Gimilzagar’s eyes widened.

“Why? I- I mean, of course, Father, I will, but…”

The King shook his head in exasperation.

“No, you fool, I was answering your question! Apologize is what you did wrong! Will you allow a bunch of merchants to dictate what you should or should not be interested in?”

“But…” Gimilzagar’s bewilderment grew. “But I thought it was you who disapproved. It was you I was apologizing to.”

Pharazôn did not know whether to be angry or laugh. Probably the wine played some small part in his emotions, though he was too used to its effects by now for it to be a valid excuse for anything.

“In that case”, he settled for proclaiming solemnly in the end, “we have to learn to work better as a team. If a captain and his lieutenant do not understand each other, the enemy will profit. Now, I am the captain, and you are the lieutenant. Do you understand?”

Gimilzagar seemed to hesitate for a while, as if pondering whether he should keep talking and risk his displeasure or just give a prudent nod. Pharazôn was almost certain that he would choose the second option, but to his great surprise, he chose the first.

“And who is the enemy?” Perhaps he had also been drinking.

The King sighed.

“Everyone else.”

This time, Gimilzagar did remain silent, though before Pharazôn turned away, he could see his brow crease into a thoughtful frown.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Gimilzagar had not slept a wink in all night. Back on the ship, he had experienced no trouble finding the path of dreams, but Middle-Earth seemed to disagree with him for some mysterious reason, which he could not only chalk to the intrusive voices of the people who surrounded him, with their sharp contrast between the fawning deference of their expressions and the contempt of their thoughts, or to the fear which permeated everything. Perhaps he had been wrong to believe that he could defeat his own trepidation, the feeling of falling into the deep abyss of the unknown which he had started to experience long before the silhouette of the Island, with Fíriel and Mother, his nurses, his guards, even Lord Abdazer, had faded away in the distance and left him in the sole company of the man whose love demanded the highest price of all. Only the sheer force of a determination he did not know he possessed had been able to carry him through the ceremonies in Sor, knowing that they were nothing but the beginning of a long succession of bloody lessons with which the King would try to turn him into an acceptable ruler for the Númenórean empire. While on the ship, he had managed to keep those terrors at bay by focusing on the impressive sights and the interesting things he was going to see, as if for a moment he still had the ability to forget himself and pretend that he was the son of Eshmounazer the merchant, travelling to the mainland to meet his father’s associates in business. By now, he was starting to hate that young man: he was everything that Gimilzagar would have wanted to be.

You have much to learn about the world, and this could be a good opportunity for you to do so, his mother had said to him, back in the Palace. He had tried to take her words to heart, for he knew that she never spoke idly, or made such affirmations with the sole purpose of providing some vague comfort for his troubles. As it appeared, he had even overdone it a little, causing an incident when he least expected it. But at that point, he had been feeling truly curious, which was why he had allowed himself to be carried away. He knew very little about the Haradrim, Fíriel’s people on her grandfather’s side. When it dawned upon him that the Umbarians saw barbarians every day, and that they must know everything about them, he had felt the impulse to ask all those questions, and his curiosity had only been further piqued when he heard that they were not a single people, like the Númenóreans, but many tribes, each having little to do with the others. Some of them tried to copy the Númenóreans in their organization, living in proper houses, choosing magistrates and councilmen to rule over them and priding themselves of speaking Adûnaic –atrociously, of course- in their daily lives. Those would sell their own mother to acquire precious Umbarian wares and Númenórean style clothes, but then they would wear them all wrong, prompting hilarity and many jokes at their expense from the part of the Umbarian merchants.

Most of their neighbours, on the other hand, were so different from them as night and day. They held to barbaric customs which dated from the Age of Darkness, after the gods had left the world, and before the first Númenórean ship had set anchor in the Western coasts. Those engaged in all kinds of savagery: eating human flesh, drinking blood, abandoning the sick and old in the wilderness as an offering to roaming predators, and giving unwedded maidens off to the Orcs and worshipping their misshapen offspring as if they were gods. But what had amazed Númenórean observers the most was that they did many things in the exact opposite way as them. For example, the merchant explained, they would fight, hunt and conduct business by night and sleep by day, dress as if they were going to a feast when they went to war and like warriors when they went to a feast, serve water to the most honoured leaders and wine to the common folk, and hold it forbidden to have sexual intercourse with anyone outside the closest family. The conclusion had been that some demon must have visited them in the past and convinced them that everything was upside down, and this deceit had proved a long-enduring testimony of his evil wiles.

Once, when Gimilzagar was still a child, one of his tutors had told him that whenever an ancient text spoke of a demon, they meant the Dark Lord Sauron, who had been made prisoner by the King in the Mordor campaign and became the widely respected Lord Zigûr. Shortly afterwards, that tutor had been replaced, and the next one was a stuffy man who did not invite questions, so Gimilzagar had not been able to learn more about Lord Zigûr’s dark past. But this now brought it all back, and he could not help but wonder if the High Priest of Melkor had ever lived among these people as he later lived among the Númenóreans, and if so, what made everyone think that he was more trustworthy now than he had been back then. Of course, that the greatest, most learned, and most refined civilization to exist in the world could be hoodwinked like a miserable bunch of human flesh-eating savages was such a ludicrous idea that he knew that no one with any brains would be able to take it seriously. Even he thought it ridiculous, though then he remembered that Fíriel’s people had come under suspicion for rejecting Lord Zigûr and his teachings. And if they had had their way, you would be too dead to agree with them, his father would probably have snorted if he had dared discuss this subject with him.

In any case, as the Umbarian had told him, it mattered little what those savages did amongst themselves, as long as this did not affect them. It had not been like that in the past, even when Gimilzagar himself was little. The Haradrim were fierce fighters and deadly foes, and though usually they had difficulties joining hands with other tribes, as they hated each other as much as they hated the Númenóreans, their underhanded means of fighting meant that one tribe was often enough to terrorize caravans that ventured outside the Second Wall, delay shipments and wreak havoc on business.  Worse still: whenever an enterprising tribe leader had managed to strike an alliance with others in spite of their worse nature, Númenor had trembled. Ar Pharazôn the Golden had fought two long wars against them, plus many smaller ones back when he was general at the Second Wall. But the most decisive one happened after he became King, and his young son was a year old. The greatest strategist in Númenor had learned from his enemies, and found effective ways to deal with them which no King had previously considered, ushering in twenty years of peace and prosperity in Harad. Only a few outlaws would now and then disturb it, but they found scarce support among the tribes, so their threat never lasted long.

This did not sound as if they would have to worry overmuch as long as they remained in this area. Still, to Gimilzagar’s dismay, next morning his father ordered him to put on his armour before they rode to the Second Wall. It had been devised specifically for him, back in Númenor, as light as a human smith could make it without the magic of the Dwarves or the Elves, but it still felt incredibly heavy. When he wore it, he found it hard to move, even to breathe. Back in the Palace, he had been trained with weights, and though he had insisted several times that carrying a load was not at all the same as having it encase one’s body like a crab’s shell, nobody had seemed particularly interested in his opinion.

“Last night, I was told that the area was completely safe”, he said to his father, carefully modulating his tone so as to not make it sound like a complaint. Ar Pharazôn stared at him in surprise, as if Gimilzagar had just blurted out something in a Haradric dialect. Then, comprehension seemed to dawn, and he took a little too much breath.

“First, you should know by now that there is no such thing as a completely safe area. Second, safety is not the reason why we wear armour.” From the corner of his eye, Gimilzagar gazed at his father’s magnificent set of gold-and-mithril-embedded armour: it could easily weight thrice, even four times as much as his own. “We wear it so the people who wear it every day will not look at us in contempt and wonder why should they obey the orders of someone who cannot even bear the slightest of their discomforts.”

The people he meant were not the merchants or the farmers of Umbar, but the soldiers. They seemed to be all his father cared about, the only ones whose opinion he valued and whom he did not want to disappoint. Back in the Island, he had told Gimilzagar that their efforts kept the Númenórean empire from foundering, and that they could not be simply led to their deaths like prisoners or criminals. But the young man was aware that this was not the full extent of it. He knew that his father liked the soldiers, that while he was in Númenor he often longed to return among them, where he felt at greater ease than in his own Palace of Armenelos. Mother had told him this, and even if she hadn’t, the look in Father’s eyes when he spoke of his mainland campaigns would have been enough.

Gimilzagar, on the other hand, hated the armour, hated handling weapons, and despaired of ever feeling anything different from fear or horror at the sight of blood. That was what made him the wrong choice for a successor, but since he was the only choice, all that was left was the need to pretend. He was determined to do his best, so as they reached the Númenórean garrison of the Second Wall, a true city of soldiers and whores that stretched for miles under the imposing shadow of the great construction that gave it its name, he remained erect on his horse, waving right and left in imitation of the King. And if his smile was strained instead of genuine, at least it managed to remain there while they dismounted and laboriously made their way to the General’s headquarters, stopping a million times so Ar Pharazôn could greet his acquaintances, laugh at their anecdotes and promise them he would hear their complaints. It was truly strange to see his father behave like this, Gimilzagar thought, almost as if he was another person, though a rather more pleasant one.

As for himself, he could feel that the commanders of the garrison were scrutinizing his every move, even as the King introduced him to them. He had to admit that his father was rather clever about it: just as he had done the previous night, he introduced him as his wayward son who was there to learn how to be a man, a way to carefully avoid raising expectations that Gimilzagar could not hope to meet. Unlike the previous night, however, he also had the impression that his father was tacitly giving those men permission to criticise him, something he would not have tolerated of any merchant. If the Prince wanted to earn their approval, he would have to work hard for it.

Their General, Bazerbal, was a rather old man who had apparently refused to retire when the King offered him the possibility. For some reason, Ar Pharazôn had not taken this refusal as treason, but let him remain in his post, and he even joked about bringing all those reinforcements with the true purpose of dragging him back to the Island by force, instead of to fight the enemy. While the man’s attention was briefly set somewhere else, he told Gimilzagar that Bazerbal had once made an oath never to abandon his post to atone for a mistake he had made in the past, and that he was so stubborn that he did not even think the King himself could free him from it. In any event, he added, he was surrounded by enough capable people to keep things running, even if something should happen to him. The very notion that Ar Pharazôn could be so considerate of someone else’s feelings was so mind-boggling that Gimilzagar had great difficulty wrapping his head around it.

While the old man was presenting them his report, he mentioned a spot of trouble with a band of outlaws, who had raided some caravans until they were given up by a tribe they had approached in the hopes of buying food and water with the stolen wares. Gimilzagar had heard about those outlaws during the dinner feast in Umbar, so he listened to the account in some interest. Apparently, they were still at the Second Wall, but would be sent to the temple of Umbar with the first light of the following day. The Prince shivered when he heard this, knowing very well what it meant.

“What kind of men are those outlaws?” he asked, unable to repress a morbid curiosity. General Bazerbal smiled indulgently at his interruption.

“You can see them by yourself, my lord prince.”

They were penned in a large courtyard at the back of the building, visible from the windows in one of the rooms of the man’s quarters. All of them were in chains, unable to move their hands and feet, just like every prisoner that was shipped to Númenor to be sacrificed, lest they thought of cheating the god of his due. Still, what truly shocked Gimilzagar, so much that at first he believed there had to be some mistake, was that they looked nothing at all like the band of fierce warriors he had been led to imagine. There were men among them, but also women, and, to his horror, children. One of them was young enough not to be able to understand most of what was taking place around him, and he was wailing loudly, perhaps calling for his mother.

“But- but these people are…” He was aware that he had gone pale, that he was babbling, and that his father would be displeased with it, but he could not even bring himself to care. “How can they be outlaws? There are women and children there!”

“For the refined folk of Armenelos, the word ‘outlaw’ might bring different ideas to mind, but this is the reality of it”, the old man explained, still with that indulgent tone. “You see, the people of Harad have older alliances and they are treated better than most of the peoples of Middle-Earth. Mostly, they are left to do their own thing, as long as they pay their tribute, fulfil their obligations and do not threaten us. But if someone breaks this rule, they have to be given up before the entire tribe is held responsible and they are all sent to the temple of Umbar. Those who manage to escape become outlaws. They can cause some isolated trouble, but they never get far, as the other tribes are too afraid to help them and share in their fate.”

Gimilzagar turned away from the window, unable to look anymore. His heart was beating very fast, and for a moment it even seemed to him that his sight was growing blurred around the edges.

“But why children? What Númenórean have they threatened?”

Bazerbal’s voice grew harsher now.

“To make sure that it stays that way.”

The Prince was speechless. When he heard his father’s voice, it felt as if it was coming from a great distance.

“This is the only language they understand. Before, they would pretend to honour their alliances with us while behind out backs they would give food and shelter to those who attacked us. They would send their own young men to raid our caravans, and if they were caught, they would claim they had done so against their chief’s orders or without his knowledge. If we demanded hostages, they would send prisoners they had made from an ancestral enemy and claim they were their sons. No one enjoys killing children, but those who remember the days when Harad used to be a beehive know that they would enjoy that even less.”

The feeling of great distance increased, to the point that Gimilzagar felt that the words the King spoke were even in a different language, one that he was unable to understand.

“Gimilzagar, this is not a frequent happening. For the most part, the tribes are at peace now, and this means many children reaching old age when they otherwise wouldn’t. And being abandoned by their own people for outliving their usefulness, I might add.” Ar Pharazôn bit back a curse, obviously growing upset at the young man’s attitude. “Will you stop looking like that? As you can see, Bazerbal, he is too sensitive. No wonder, for he grew up surrounded by old women and coddled by his mother. Last year, he almost got himself assassinated while kissing some common girl who caught shellfish in the bay of Rómenna, which was quite embarrassing.”

“Well, my lord King, I am sure he is just very young…”

Gimilzagar did not care for anything they were saying. All he knew was that he needed to leave, that if he remained there for a moment longer, he would be no longer able to breathe. At the same time, his mouth could not form words, even to beg for formal leave to depart. Unable to find a solution to this conundrum, he simply turned tail and fled, turning a deaf ear to the voices that called for him.

Only after he found himself in the darkness of the corridor, face to face with the astonished looks of the men who were keeping watch there, he managed to feel the air coming into his lungs again.

North and South II

Read North and South II

The Grey Havens was a beautiful harbour town located on a secluded spot of the inner gulf, near the place where it narrowed to become the mouth of the river Lune. Its venerable stone buildings, old-fashioned and affected by a slight veneer of decay bearing witness to the passing of the centuries reminded Isildur of his first impressions of Rómenna. This had made him reflect upon the future of such places, enclaves of the past whose people remained engrossed in their old ways while the Sors of the world encroached upon them with their high buildings, their giant shipyards, and their hungry crowds hoping to grow rich from the despoiling of foreign lands and the peoples who inhabited them. In those changing times, even the weight that history and legend lent to its oldest and most illustrious names would mean little, before the unstoppable growth of a new order which had already claimed the largest part of the world for its own. If those Elves, like the people of Rómenna, did not stand up soon and reach a determination to stop the tide, it was possible that even they would be enslaved to the Númenórean Sceptre one day, and their past power turned into nothing but a distant memory.

“You are thinking like a mortal”, Anárion said, when he voiced his doubts to him in a moment of privacy. “Elves are here because they chose to be; the moment they do not wish to live in this world any longer, they can take ship for the Undying Lands.”

“Was it them who suggested this whole strategy to you, then?” Isildur snorted. Perhaps he was too much of a mortal, for the idea of fleeing revolted him on a rather deep level. “To answer to every aggression by retreating somewhere else, and avoid fighting for what is yours?”

Anárion, as usual, did not rise to the provocation.

“No, that is sheer mortal self-preservation. What I meant to say is that Middle-Earth is our world, and we can make any part of it our home…”

“… as long as it is not inhabited by anyone else, apparently.”

“… while Elves are just passing through it. Though I do not think they are ready to leave it just yet. This is only a harbour town; to the North, they still have a powerful kingdom, with an army that might give the Face of Melkor a run for his money if he ever comes here.”

“The day I see this army on the battlefield with my own eyes, I will believe it.”

And then, they’d better not be that strong, or quite a few peoples will have a bone to pick with them, Malik added. I know I would.

Círdan’s palace was not at the centre of his city, but right by the harbour. Its windows had a good view of the docks, where a row of graceful ships awaited the arrival of travellers from the East with the intention of crossing the Great Sea. A small group of those, about a dozen Elves in travelling cloaks, were boarding one of them at the moment. Isildur saw the mariners unfurl its sails, richly decorated with silver patterns whose meaning he ignored.

This idle contemplation, however, was soon disrupted by the arrival of their host. Perhaps he should have paid more attention to his lessons –as Anárion would no doubt have told him-, because the Sindarin Elf-lord did not look at all like he had expected. Unlike the other Elves they had met on their way, and also unlike those who had been their guests in Andúnië in the past, he had facial hair, and he had let it grow into a beard like those worn by the barbarians, which Tar Palantir had made fashionable in the Island for a while. He was also not dressed in audience clothes, though Anárion had considered them so important that he even made Isildur get new ones in Pelargir after they were damaged by the Magistrate’s henchmen. Instead, he looked like he had just walked there from the docks when he heard of their arrival, or perhaps the shipyard, considering that he was known as the Shipwright. If he had been a Númenórean instead of an Elf, this would have been read as a great insult to his guests, but his friendly and welcoming demeanour suggested that giving offence was the last thing which had crossed his mind. Perhaps Elves were not so keen on visible marks of hierarchy as Men: after all, they had thousands of years to assimilate who was who in their society.

What surprised Isildur the most, however, especially with the echo of Anárion’s recriminations still ringing in his ears from the previous day, was that Lord Círdan had no problem whatsoever speaking Quenya.

“Of course I can speak Quenya. It is my mother tongue, son of Elendil, the one I spoke as a child under the light of the stars, when the world was new”, he answered his unvoiced question, as they were served wine and food on a low table. “With the years and vicissitudes of this mortal world, it gradually changed into something else, while our kin from beyond the Sea kept a truer form of it. When they returned to Middle-Earth, I spoke it with them, until the day my king issued an edict forbidding its use, declaring that it was the tongue of traitors and kinslayers. As you can see, some things never change.”

“Indeed, my lord,”, Anárion nodded politely, not at all taken aback despite having just learned that his painstaking Sindarin lessons would be of no avail.

“Interesting issue.” Círdan looked suddenly thoughtful. “I wonder what is there in a language, beyond the voice that utters it or the message it conveys, which can make people believe in its evil nature. Am I a traitor and a kinslayer, when I speak thus in your presence? I know I am not, but according to that edict, I am. And what is most amazing of all, a part of me feels that I am. Did we give language this power ourselves, or does it have a power of its own?” When he saw Isildur stare, he snapped out of his reverie, and bowed. “Forgive me, noble guests. I do not meet with Men very often, and when I do I tend to, how do you put it? ‘waste their time’ until I can find my bearings.”

“There are no excuses needed”, Anárion protested firmly. “Because of our current circumstances, I have often asked myself similar questions, about what is it that makes a language good and another evil. According to our old books, Adûnaic used to be held in contempt as an inferior language in the past, for it was the tongue of lesser Men who had lived under the Shadow, while now it is the language of power and civilization. Quenya, on the other hand, was shunned in the First Age, but then it was adopted as a sacred tongue by our ancestors, only to become a language of traitors again, in the present day. If a language had power on its own, would this power not be constant throughout history?”

Círdan seemed extremely pleased by this opening, and both he and Anárion continued talking in this vein until the sun was almost halfway through the sky. Isildur watched them in an increasingly restless silence, for the subject did not interest him enough as to participate, even if he had had any valuable insights to add. As far as he was concerned, ‘wasting their time’ was an accurate description of what his brother and the Elf lord were doing, the latter because he probably could not comprehend the concept of running out of it, and the former because, as always, he was too eager to give a good impression.

Isildur had never been very keen on that, and he felt strongly that to remind their host that they were here for a reason should be no discourtesy, once a certain limit had been reached. So, when Lord Círdan fell silent after reminiscing at length on the variety of tongues spoken by the tribes of the first Men to settle on Beleriand in the First Age –most of which had gone extinct- he seized his opportunity.

“Speaking about settling and tribes, my lord, that is the reason why we have sailed all the way here to ask for your counsel”, he said. Anárion frowned in his direction, but Círdan just smiled apologetically.

“Of course, Lord Isildur. As fascinating as this conversation is, you must have graver matters to discuss with me –and not too much time, before the Merchant Princes of Númenor start wondering what you are up to in the far North, away from their eyes and ears.”

Well, not so clueless as he looks, is he? I always told you, Isildur, those Elves are devious. He was probably reading your innermost thoughts while he pretended to be discussing nonsense with your brother. For a moment, Lord Círdan looked up, and his eyes widened slightly as he set them on Isildur, who looked down at once, his heart beating very fast.

Could he have noticed?

Whether he had or not, however, he chose not to comment upon it. Instead, he listened attentively as they informed him of the latest developments in the Island, and of their family’s plans. Once they had finished explaining the situation to him, and while they were served more drinks, he began giving them a detailed account of the area over a large map, describing its geographical accidents, the fertility of the land and the kind of vegetation which grew in each place, together with the tribes that inhabited it, their origins and their disposition towards each other and towards strangers. Anárion nodded with an alert expression, his brain working furiously under the furrows of his brow to assimilate all this information. Isildur, on the other hand, thought it would be wiser to focus on what was of immediate interest to him, such as where to find easily defensible spots to build fortresses and who were the natives that might cause more trouble. Even as he did so, he marvelled at the growing realization that their host was not like the commander of the Middle Havens, a man who had learned the lay of the land after spending a few years in his post, but an ancient being who had had whole millennia to study the world, and knew it as well as the palm of his hand.

Perhaps you thought that he had not heard about what was going on outside, here in his quaint little town. But how could he not? I am sure that he must have a great time sitting here, listening to news of how Men kill and enslave other Men, and discussing if this evil is within us or if it comes from outside and rubbish of that sort.

Isildur was not as keen to befriend Elves as other kinsmen of his, but he could not agree with Malik’s criticism of them either. The way he saw it, as long as they remained unchallenged, Elves were within their right not to rise in arms to help those who had never helped them in their own wars. As for those who had been their allies, the Númenóreans, it would be poor behaviour indeed to wage war against them, either to defend a faction against another, or to save them all from themselves.

That, and also because they would lose.

Perhaps you are right, he conceded, in part so Malik would shut up and he could stop feeling as if Lord Círdan was looking straight at the ghost of his dead friend.

“So, that area is exceptionally fertile, but it is teeming with Orcs, you say”, Anárion was saying at the moment, engrossed in the geopolitical complexities of their future enterprise.

“Goblins”, the Elf corrected, though Isildur had never before known that there was a difference. “And there are also many trolls in the neighbouring hills. You would need a very large army to claim those lands, and even if you succeeded, the wild tribes would hear about it and try to take them from you as soon as your back was turned. And it is too far from the Sea.”

“We need to establish trading settlements near the coast.” Anárion concurred, gazing at the map. “Otherwise, we will not be able to defend them easily, and there are good chances that the King might hear of it, and grow suspicious of our intentions. I was thinking that, perhaps, it could be a possibility to establish a presence around the mouth of this river here, and then explore the other territories from there.”

“That would bring you quite close to the Dark Men who have deep-seated grudges against your people. Some of them have settled as far as its Southern shore. We could send you aid and troops for your protection, but…”

“… but as soon as news of this alliance reach the Middle Havens, it will also reach Pelargir and from there it will go straight to the King”, Isildur finished the sentence for him. Círdan nodded gravely.

Oh, how convenient.

“Do not be discouraged”, their host counselled, in a kind voice. He must have seen something in Anárion that mortals were not able to perceive, for Isildur found his composure as perfect as ever. “As a matter of fact, we have barely begun to scratch the surface of the problem. You Men tend to prefer quick solutions, but there is something to be said for letting knowledge settle in the mind. At some point, roots and branches will inevitably grow from the seeds that you have planted, and you need time to be able to follow them wherever they will go. Not time as we Elves understand it, of course”, he added, as if realizing what would be Isildur’s next argument,” but I would advise you to take back this information with you, enrich it with explorations of your own, and plan your next move in Númenor. Your kinsmen are very wise men, and perhaps they may reach insights that you have not contemplated.”

Isildur had never thought much of the insights offered by people who were not there, staring at a problem face to face. Still, he understood this advice as a cue to stop discussing business for the day, and when this was followed by an invitation to have dinner in a beautiful terrace with a view of the Sea, even Anárion reluctantly stopped asking questions.

“In any case, we need to be back by the end of the summer season, if we do not wish to raise suspicion. Before that, we will engage in labours of exploration of the coastal areas we find promising, so my calculations tell me that we will only be able to stay here for a few days, three or four at the most”, he resumed his efforts later, while they indulged in lavish platters of seafood from the Gulf of Lune. “I wonder if we might be allowed to borrow some maps…”

“Of course, you are welcome to take anything you might need”, Círdan nodded pleasantly. His ancient eyes twinkled for an instant, then grew serious again, as if something amusing had crossed his mind but the mirth aroused by the thought had been quenched by sobering implications. Anárion must have noticed it, and though he repressed his curiosity, he stared at the Elf for an instant longer than usual. “If you forgive my indiscretion, my lord Anárion, you remind me very much of someone.”

Everybody said that his brother was the spitting image of their father, at least physically, though their personalities were not too dissimilar either, or so Isildur was starting to discover the more attention he paid to him. Still, he should have known that an Elf who was thousands of years old would not stay at something so trivial.

“He went on to become the first king of your people under the name of Tar Minyatur, but before that, we knew him as Elros. He and his twin brother Elrond were close friends of mine, before and after the turn of the Age.”

Isildur stopped drinking from the silver chalice to stare at their host, interested in spite of himself by this turn of the conversation. Anárion’s eyes widened, and he appeared speechless for one of the few times in his life.

“May I - ask what is it about me that reminds you of Tar Minyatur, my lord?” he asked, as soon as he managed to find the words. Círdan shook his head, as if lost in a fond reminiscence.

“Since he was young, he always seemed in a great hurry to grow ahead of his years. When we met, all that mattered to him was proving his worth, and he already seemed to know exactly which steps to take and how to go about it. An ambitious one, you might say. After a while, however, I realized that making detailed plans for the future was second nature to him, from the number of children he would have to the irrigation system for the crops of his kingdom. All this while his brother did not even know what he was going to wear to a reception starting in half an hour! He detested uncertainty, and untidy loose ends.” He sobered again. “I assume that, for him, eternity was the greatest loose end of all.”

“That does sound like Anárion”, Isildur said, his words filling a silence that felt a little too uncomfortable to him.

“Isildur, on the other hand, would feel more identified with the brother who did not know what he was going to wear.” He must be out of sorts, if the most intelligent thing he can make up after this is this retort, Malik snorted. Círdan, seemingly oblivious to the effect that his words had made on Anárion, turned his attention towards Isildur. Again, he had the feeling that the Elf was looking not merely at him, but also, somehow, beyond him.

“Oh, but your brother is not like Elrond at all! If he does remind me of someone, it would have to be their father. A curious man, Eärendil. He had many things, and came upon many others in his wanderings, and yet he could never stop chasing after something that he could not find anywhere.”

It might have been his imagination, but Isildur thought there was an accusing edge in the Elf’s tone, hidden under all that politeness. He felt defensive.

“As far as I know from the old tales, he found what he was looking for.” Elves know your ancestors better than you do, which means that they know you better than you do, Malik had said once, back when Isildur tried in vain to convince him to forget his stupid apprehensions and meet with them in Andúnië. “And saved the world in the process.”

Círdan gazed through the window, where the Evenstar glowed bright over the quiet surface of the waters.

“And yet, he is still wandering.”

That night, both Isildur and Anárion were rather quiet as they took leave from their host to return to their appointed quarters. The moon was emerging from behind a silver-rimmed cloud, filling their path with a brighter light than that of the candles. Anárion mumbled something that Isildur did not hear, as he had not been paying attention, and then he was gone.

Isildur crossed the threshold of his bedroom, wondering why he felt so out of sorts. His unease became downright terror when he realized what was wrong: he could not see Malik anywhere. The ghost who had followed him for all those years was gone, and the room was empty.

“Malik!” he called. His voice came out broken from panic, but he was unable to feel shame. “Malik, where are you? Malik!”

His friend was outside, sitting on the edge of the balcony, his gaze lost on the glowing surface of the sea. When Isildur found him, he did not even look up to meet his eye.

“You scared me. What are you doing here?”

It was some time before the ghost answered. When he did, his tone was strangely subdued.

Am I doing the right thing, Isildur? Or am I ruining your life?

Isildur sat down next to him, the taste of a fear he did not even know he could experience still bitter in his mouth.

“Where did you get this idea?”

The Elf. Malik spat. According to him, you should be always grateful to me for giving my life to save yours, but you should live it in full, since Men’s lives are so short anyway.

“I am not…” It proved surprisingly hard to put the turmoil of his thoughts into words. “You are not preventing me from living my life in full, Malik. That is just Elven bullshit. They probably do not even know what those words mean, for who can live their life in full if it will not end? And besides, since when are you supposed to care? Have you ever heard of a ghost who asked for permission to haunt people?”

In case you haven’t noticed, I am not here to cause you pain.

“Well, there you have it!”

The truth was that Isildur had grown so used to the presence of his dead friend that it was almost mind-boggling to imagine a life without hearing his voice, or listening to his opinions. Even if Malik was no longer alive, if he could no longer fight, love, or grow by his side, it comforted Isildur to know that he was still there in some form. Sometimes, he had wondered if he was being selfish, but Malik had always seemed to be acting of his own free will, just as he had in life. And in all those years, Isildur had never even thought of looking at it from the opposite angle.

I have prevented you from growing closer to your brother. From turning to your family when you needed them the most, and when they needed you. Now, you are going to be married, and I will prevent you from giving your full attention to your wife and children.

“I never wanted to marry, and much less that woman!” The old resentment boiled again close to the surface. But Malik shook his head.

Perhaps you would like her if you made an effort to know her better. Like your brother. But whenever you need someone to confide in, I am here, usurping their rightful place.

“I do not… I am not… and where would you go?” He was so out of sorts that when the question came through his lips, he did not even know where it had come from. 

I do not know. Malik’s expression became closed, though, for a brief flicker of a second, Isildur was able to detect unease. But I hope it was your father who was right about the afterlife. The Haradric afterlife is shit.

“No. Forget about it.” Renewed in his determination, Isildur frowned at his friend. “I will never discard you for others, as if you were a tool that has overgrown its usefulness. The place you hold in my heart is yours alone, and you are not usurping it from anyone else, because you were there before all of them!”

But what if I am no longer there? What if we are just pretending that I am because we do not want to face the truth?

Isildur did not have an answer for this - and, thankfully, Malik did not insist. That night, however, he needed to empty the wine jar on the marble side table before he could find sleep, and when it came, it was a restless slumber full of vivid visions, of the kind he had not seen since the day he almost died stealing the fruit of Nimloth. In them, his friend was always sitting on a branch of the White Tree, watching as Isildur fled the Wave that engulfed everything in its path. As he had done since he was a child, he begged his friend to help him, and Malik shook his head in sad impotence. But instead of waking at that point, as he always had in the past, he saw Malik vanish like a wisp of smoke before his eyes, and the Wave stand still over his head like a black cloud of dread, frozen in mid-air. And then he was struck by the paralyzing, horrible knowledge that he was trapped here, trapped in that moment for eternity, for he no longer had anyone to shake him until he opened his eyes.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Gimilzagar had terrible dreams that night. In all of them, he saw a young boy, his skin darkened by the desert sun, dragged towards a flaming altar that looked like the one standing in the middle of the temple of Sor. Sometimes, he saw Lord Zigûr cut the victim’s flesh open, sometimes his father, but the worst of all was the dream where he wielded the blade himself, and he did not hesitate to slash the pulsating throat under the proud gaze of the King of Númenor. And then it was Fíriel who stood before him, a ghost Fíriel whose grey eyes were veiled by a cloud of sadness and betrayal. You killed my grandfather, Gimilzagar, she said, in an accusing voice. You killed my grandfather, and now, I will never be born. And you will die, just as you deserve, for I was the only one who could save you.

His screams must have awoken others, because at a certain point he heard whispers in his vicinity, and someone pressed a wet cloth against his burning forehead. He felt paralyzed, too afraid to let himself fall asleep again, but also to open his eyes and confront whoever was there. So he lay down, completely still, trying not to shiver or to give any sign of being awake. After he did not know how long, he must have dozed off for a moment, for other screams, which had not come from his mouth this time, violently jerked him away from his slumber.

Gimilzagar opened his eyes just enough to see the light of dawn filter through the slits. In his vicinity, he heard voices engaging in a whispered conversation, and he listened in.

“…one of the women, we do not know how she did it, it should not have been possible.”

“Apparently, it was.” The King. “A chain is enough to throttle oneself as long as there is enough willpower.”

“These people are all insane, my lord King!”

“Of course they are. Desperation breeds insanity. She knew that her soul was the only thing she had left to deny us, and she did.” For a moment, his voice sounded wistful. “She reminds me of someone…”

“I will give orders for the rest to be closely watched until it is time for their departure”, the other voice spoke again, after a few seconds of respectful silence. Ar Pharazôn must have nodded his agreement, because Gimilzagar could hear the sound of retreating steps.

“I know that you are awake, Gimilzagar”, his father declared, once they were alone. Gimilzagar shivered, huddling up under his covers. Deprived of the pretence of sleep, he felt that he desperately needed another protection, something that stood between him and the crushing weight of reality.

Ar Pharazôn was standing near the bed, his familiar features looking strange and, to Gimilzagar’s feverish imagination, sinister in this half-light. But the rational part of him knew that it was nothing but an effect of the residual terror from his dreams, augmented by the bleak details of the conversation he had just overheard. His father was the same today as he had been any other day.

Perhaps, a dark voice whispered in his mind, he had not looked properly until now.

“I am awake, Father”, he replied, trying to keep his voice from trembling. Pharazôn sighed, a soft but surprisingly human sound.

“You made quite a ruckus tonight. I think that even the soldiers on duty at the wall must have heard you. Thankfully, that woman took it upon herself to steal your spotlight.”

Gimilzagar did not know what to answer to this, so he said nothing.

“They say you are not seriously ill, only somewhat feverish because of the violence of your dreams. A few hours’ rest will take care of that. Oh, and the healer also said that you had to drink. Drink.”

There was a glass of water on the bedstand, and Gimilzagar picked it up, his mind too lost in turmoil to do anything but automatically react to the command. Once he took the first sip from it, however, he realized that his throat was parched and dry, and he swallowed the liquid greedily until there was not a drop left.

“Well, he seems to have been right about that, at least.”

Gimilzagar left the glass back on the small table, pulled the covers away, and sat by the edge of the bed. The room spun around in his head, but he mastered the spell of dizziness.

“Father, please. I beg you, let those children go.”

Pharazôn snorted.

“Let them go? Where? Into the desert? That would be quite a show of mercy and kindness for the hungry beasts roaming out there.”

That had not been a good start. The Prince of the West tried to think quickly, raking his brain to search for options.

“Then have them sold to some merchant in Umbar. I am sure…”

“No one can buy or sell an outlaw in Harad, whether they be men, women or children. If it was allowed to do that, most would still end up in flames, as merchants do not have much use for Haradric rebels, though of course they would find a way to make some profit out of them first. But it won’t happen, because those outlaws belong to the Sceptre, each and every one of them, and their fate is already decided.” His expression grew deadly serious. “This is not about business, just as it is not about morals. It is about striking terror in the enemy.”

“Then give them away. Please.” Gimilzagar was hearing the words, but just like the previous day, he was having trouble understanding most of them. He tried to hold on to what he was able to grasp. “A King’s gift cannot be refused.”

“No. Even if it could be done, I would not. They have to learn, and so do you.”

Gimilzagar did not know where this recklessness came from. In the past, on the precious few times when he had felt like this, Fíriel had always been involved. Though perhaps she was involved here too, he thought, remembering her ghost’s accusing gaze in the dream.

“I will not learn this, Father. Ever. If I am to be King of Númenor, I will abolish those laws on the very day I take the Sceptre! No innocent will ever die upon an altar under my rule.”

Ar Pharazôn’s eyes widened in surprise at this unexpected show of rebellion. As Gimilzagar forced himself to withstand the intensity of his glance, he wondered frantically if he was going to be hit, or worse. But instead of that, his father’s expression was lit with a wild spark, and he laughed.

“Oh, will you now? And when the Haradrim go back to their past of plundering and revolt, will you be ready to meet them head on? You will need to be a general on par with me, no, better than me, if you would deny yourself even this advantage: that they will fear you before they have seen your face.” He crossed his arms over his chest, and surveyed him critically. “You are not making much headway so far. But perhaps with the right incentive, you might work harder.”

Gimilzagar gaped, unable to believe this. Did Ar Pharazôn think he could use his son’s defiance for his own advantage, to mould Gimilzagar into what he had always wanted him to be? Was it of no consequence to him whether the children of Haradric outlaws became an object lesson or hostages awaiting delivery in a distant future, or even whether his own son was driven by love or by hatred of him, as long as his objectives were met?

“Then again, perhaps I am a fool for paying so much attention to your words. A spoiled child will say anything to upset his parents, but he will never have the guts to back his words with actions. For if he did, he would be a man, and one day, perhaps, a King.” His voice was mocking now, not unlike how Gimilzagar would imagine him taunting an enemy on the battlefield.

The purpose of taunting is having the enemy lose his head and make a mistake, the distant recollection of his teacher’s voice during his strategy lessons came to his mind. Except that Ar Pharazôn did not want him to make a mistake, he wanted Gimilzagar to stop making them so he would not embarrass him any further. Unless Númenor was upside down, a dark voice whispered in his mind, as the customs of the Haradrim who had been deceived by Zigûr, and everything was a mistake.

In any case, there was something that Gimilzagar could not deny: he had never felt so frustrated at his weakness, never hated his powerlessness so much as he did now. He was angry, which meant that his father’s strategy was working, as all his strategies would always work in the written accounts of his mainland campaigns.

With some effort, the Prince of the West struggled to his feet. The floor seemed to rise to meet his gaze when he made the mistake of looking down, but he managed to steady himself just enough not to fall.

“I am not a child, Father”, he said. “But I am younger than you were when you first set foot on the mainland, and I…”

“Is that your excuse? You are very quick to whine and complain, but not so much to prove that you can do better.” Ar Pharazôn’s face was flushed, his eyes gleaming, and if Gimilzagar was not so upset, he would have been cowering away. “This is my Harad, a peaceful land where a few innocents are sacrificed in a temple. If you do not like it, you are welcome to create a land of justice and prosperity where no one has to suffer needlessly! This could start by gaining the trust of your soldiers and allies, and learning the lay of the land and the customs of your enemies, their strengths and their weaknesses. Then, you could listen to the concerns of the colonists, study their trade routes and protect them against raiders, riding to meet them in battle if necessary. And you should hide your own weakness so deep within you that no one can detect it and take advantage of it because if they do, you are lost. I will have you know that your behaviour until now would be found contemptible by every tribe in Harad, and that when they rebelled against you, many innocents would die in the process. Only if you learned how to crush them in war then perhaps, just perhaps, they might respect you despite your misplaced mercy. Do that, Gimilzagar, and I will consider listening to you.” He shook his head with a sneer. “But I do not think that you can.”

Gimilzagar’s breathing was heavy, as he tried to concentrate in the patterns of the morning sunlight shining through the window bars. Blood had rushed to his face, and he might be looking even more flushed than his father did, for both shame and anger were fighting for pre-eminence within him. He looked down, willing himself to be calm, to not embarrass himself any further.

He could not win. This whole challenge was but a charade: Ar Pharazôn would not listen to any of his pleas unless he became like him, but if he became like him, Gimilzagar would already have lost. In the obfuscation of the moment, it did not even strike him as shocking that he was thinking of his relationship with his father in terms of winning and losing, much less that he could identify the second of them with the act of fulfilling the King’s expectations. Until that day, this had been the ultimate goal of his life, as remote as the Undying Lands but still a desirable outcome. Now, everything was upside down, and he did not know anything anymore.

“I will be downstairs, overseeing the training and deciding which troops will accompany us in our journey East”, Ar Pharazôn informed him matter-of-factly, as if oblivious to everything which was going on in Gimilzagar’s mind. “You can come with me if you wish. Or you can stay here as the healer recommended, resting and recovering from your terrible ordeal of last night. I will excuse your absence to Lord Balbazer and the men; I am sure that they will understand.”

Gimilzagar sat again at the foot of his bed. Though the day had not even started, he already felt as exhausted as if he had run a hundred miles. All he wanted was to lie down, curl against his pillow in the dark, and try to focus in thoughts of the Sea, of the bay of Rómenna, and of Fíriel’s smile.

“I will get dressed and join you shortly, my lord King.”

Pharazôn nodded in approval.

“Good.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

She pored over the documents carefully disposed over her desk, craning her neck to put as much distance as possible between her eyes and the written lines. The tiny letters, however, seemed to jump from the page in a mad dance, until even their contours grew blurred and she was forced to blink repeatedly, in an attempt to clear the fog. While she struggled with this, the might of Sea thundered against her ears, and she could not suppress a shudder of anticipation, imagining the feeling of cold water against her ivory skin. Behind the noise, she could distinguish the telltale sound of footsteps, and suddenly she knew why her senses were so out of sorts.

“Zigûr”, she greeted, blinking the prickling tears away. “Do you know of a way for my eyes to be what they were, or is the appearance of youth merely an illusion to deceive gullible mortals?”

The demon bowed before her. His twisted face was made even more unsettling by the red gleam of his eye, for the beautiful robe of flesh he wore over it was not enough to hide his naked ugliness from her. At his arrival, the waters rose higher and roared louder, and she needed to use her full concentration to keep the intensity of the visions at bay.  If only that sight could grow tired and blurred as well.

“I know of ways to help you with this ailment, my Queen. As for your other concerns, however, I am afraid there is nothing I can do. When it comes to gifts and curses that are not of our bodies, but lie embedded in the depths of our souls, our Creator saw fit to make them persistent enough that even the likes of me would not be able to make much headway with them.”

Zimraphel frowned.

“You would know all about that.” And yet there were many, even here in Númenor, who had swallowed the tale that he could make them immortal.

Zigûr stood before the table, towering above her sitting frame.

“Immortality is not a gift I can give anyone, my Queen. Should you ever wish to pursue it, I would only be able to tell you how to reach those who can, and which are the weaknesses you can exploit in order to succeed in your endeavour.”

“So you can revenge yourself upon them, using us in the process”. She laughed. “A perfect plan.”

Zigûr did not deny this. To his credit, not only his raiment of flesh, but also the inner core of his being appeared guileless, almost like the young servant of the gods that he had been once.

“I could never hope to earn the trust of discerning people, my Queen, by trying to persuade them that the former Dark Lord of Mordor would do anything without any concern for his own gain” he said. “And yet, you have almost as much reason to feel wronged by the Lords of the West than I do.”

“I suppose so.” Zimraphel closed the eyes on her face briefly, and willed the other eyes to stop showing her glimpses of doom. She did have something against the Valar, indeed.

“I am sure you must already know this, but the King and the Prince are already in Umbar”, he said then, changing the subject. “It appears that there is strife between them.”

“Of course there is.” She frowned. “If I had been a man, the King and I would have destroyed each other long ago. Being, as I am, a woman, we found a way to coexist in the same world, even upon the same throne. But Gimilzagar is like me, and yet he is Pharazôn’s son, and his father will not allow that.” Her lips curved in a bitter grin. “Our child bears the burden of our unnatural alliance.”

“Unnatural”, Zigûr repeated, pensively. Zimraphel could not read his innermost processes –she hesitated to call them thoughts-, and yet something in the tone in which he said this, in the way he suddenly gazed at her with those piercing eyes of his real being, gave her a subtle clue.

“You think I am unnatural”, she guessed. Before he could open his mouth to protest, she silenced him with her hand. “But not for the same reasons as the fools who surround me every day. I am unnatural because I was born of something unnatural, as does my entire lineage, including the King. And yet, of all of them, I am the one who reminds you the most of it.”

Usually, she was more careful in her interactions with Zigûr. He was dangerous, just like those wild beasts who were taken as pets by foolish barbarian chiefs in popular tales, until one day they killed the whole family in their sleep. She had to let him underestimate her, for his contempt was infinitely preferable than to be exposed to the things he could do if he considered her too much of a threat for his plans. Zimraphel was the Queen of Númenor, but her body was that of a mortal woman, and she was not all-powerful. Her greatest weapon lay in knowledge, but this weapon had to be kept hidden, or it could be wrung out of her mind and used against her. She might look like her, but she was not her.

“You know your old lore, my Queen”, he nodded, with a strange edge to his voice. She pretended to smile.

“My father bored us to tears with it. Most of all, he was keen on the story of our exalted origins.” She remembered how Tar Palantir had looked when he spoke about his beloved books, his eyes shining with a bright light that would never have been elicited by something as mundane as his own family. “There is a trace of the divine within us, he used to say.”

“She was one of the greatest and brightest among us”, Zigûr said, still gazing aat her in that unsettling way. “And as all those who were great and bright, she was not happy with the Valar, their foolish restrictions, their reluctance to allow each of us to achieve the full purpose of our being.” He paused for a moment, and Zimraphel felt a shiver travel down her spine at the contrast between his real and his false face, as for once, it was the first who looked closer to human, while the second remained aloof and expressionless like the statues on the temples. “But instead of fulfilling her potential, she tied herself to a foolish creature who was beneath her, and became a diminished, hapless shadow of her former self. And then, when he met his fate, she ran back crying to the Valar.”

For one of very few times in her life, Zimraphel was fascinated. So that was how it felt, she thought, to learn things from the mouth of someone who could withhold them at will. Things too remote and sacred for anyone to know. She was deeply reluctant to break this instant of complicity.

“I hope you are not creating a parallel here, my lord, beyond that of shared blood and physical resemblance.”

Zigûr was not taken aback at this. Considering his limited experience as a mortal lookalike, it was remarkable how he could play the courtier better than the oldest and most experienced denizens of the Palace of Armenelos.

“Oh, no, my Queen! For in that case, I would be guilty of the same crime as you, as I too am here, wielding all my powers in the service of this - mortal cause.”

“And yet you are not here by your own will.” She retreated further back into the image of the foolish mortal Queen, who believed that she could control him. That persona was much safer. “Never forget that.”

He bowed.

“I will not, my Queen.”

As he stood expectantly before her, she realized that her next move should be to give him leave to depart, so she could go back to her onerous duties. But when she opened her mouth to do so, she closed it again, feeling reckless. Once upon a time, her father had made her hate scholars, lore, books and debates about irrelevant things from the past that did not provide real knowledge, and yet he was also somewhere inside her, just like the Queen of Doriath and all the others.

“She created life”, she said. Zigûr’s blue eyes blinked; the red ones just flickered slightly.

“I beg your pardon, my Queen?”

“You and the one you served spent many of your efforts, of your power and your brilliance trying to create a form of life that resembled you, and yet you were defeated in all your endeavours”, she explained. “She succeeded, thanks to that foolish creature who was beneath her. She created us, and now, our kingdom rules the world and has you in thrall. You must be so jealous.”

This time, she had truly managed to surprise Zigûr. His red eye glowed, and for once, in its depths, there was true hatred glaring back at her. The other lips, however, curved into a smile.

“That is a very particular way of looking at the issue of the creation of life. And yet, if you forgive me for saying so, it is a fallacy quite common in women to confuse the perpetuation of a species with creation.”

“A fallacy, you say?” Zimraphel laughed. “What species did Melian perpetuate? The truth is that she created a new one, which did not exist before her spirit set foot in the world with the shape of a female.”

“If you mix different breeds of equine, you get better horses, but that does not make you the creator of horses.”

“Perhaps you are right”, she smiled. “I did not believe Maiar to be just another breed of worldly creature, like Elves and Men, but I may have thought too well of you before the King made you kneel at his feet. You are dismissed, Lord Zigûr, and a good day to you.”

As she heard his footsteps grow lost in the distance, she let go of a breath that she did not know she had been holding. After a lifetime of being surrounded by lesser people, to stand before a being like Zigûr felt exhilarating, yet she could not forget the dangers. Perhaps that was how he was trying to draw her out, she thought, tempting her with the excitement she had always been denied. It would be just like him to engage her in this game until she forgot her caution and gave away a little too much of her true self. In any case, the very fact that she could sit there speculating felt so new, so vertiginous, that it was all she could do not to surrender to its lure and call him again and again. She needed to think of Gimilzagar to steady this excitement, and remember everything that was at stake – the risks to her beloved son’s wellbeing, which terrified her more than her own danger.

So curious, she thought. Gimilzagar is living proof that Zigûr’s power can do more than a mother’s womb, and yet he did not bring him up. Perhaps this proves that he is not feeling as sure of his hold on the boy as he pretends to be - at least for now.

Poor Gimilzagar. He was in a desolate corner of the world, being forced to face the cruelty of those who had made him with the sole purpose of continuing their sad work. He could see no escape from this mortal trap, no hope of ever being free, just as he had despaired from being free of the need of other people’s deaths to ensure his own life. She had done her best to comfort him with vague prophecies, and yet she could tell him no more, for he could not know the whole truth. Unlike Pharazôn, who believed that his son had to withstand everything that he could withstand, Zimraphel would never ask Gimilzagar to take the same burdens as her. And if those petty souls whose life strength filled him every day crippled his foresight as much as they did his confidence, it was an evil which was not altogether inconvenient. There was already too much suffering laid in store for him, for any more to be added.

Repressing a soft sigh, Zimraphel dipped her quill in the inkpot, and painstakingly sought the empty spot underneath the blurry document to scribble her signature.

The Númenórean Empire I

Read The Númenórean Empire I

Leaving the land of the Elves again to retrace their steps South across the threatening coasts of the Wild Men was like departing a sunlit glade to venture into an inhospitable forest path. The morning they resumed their route, most of the men looked wistful, wrapping themselves in their cloaks against the cold gusts of the Northern wind. Even Anárion, always so unflappable, appeared slightly out of sorts as he stood near the prow of their ship. His gaze was lost in some unknown feature of the horizon, and he spoke very little.

Isildur, on the other hand, felt possessed by a warm, lively spirit that no fell weather seemed able to quench. Suddenly, he was everywhere, speaking to everyone, making plans, looking at maps, and organizing their next strategy as if eager to take on the challenge of filling the silence around him. He would not admit it to anyone, least of all to Anárion, but departing the Grey Havens had felt like finding himself again, like regaining his bearings after a strange dream which had seemed real while he dreamed it, but left nothing except a vague unease after he awoke to see the sun shine through his window. This dream had veered dangerously close to a dark void that lay in the core of his soul, whose existence he had managed to hide from the prying eyes of others, even from his own waking mind, but not from the keen sight of the accursed Elves. Their host, that Shipwright, an ancient being born under the cold glare of the stars, had found his greatest weakness, his terror of losing the voice that represented the last grip on his sanity, and pounced on it as relentlessly as the fiercest of Isildur’s enemies might have done on the battlefield. After that first night, his mind had constantly obsessed over the horrible bleakness of waking up to find no one by his side, to fight with no one to guard his flank, to make decisions with no one to help him pick apart the threads of his thoughts; to be alone, truly alone in a world full of people.

I have prevented you from growing closer to your brother. From turning to your family when you needed them the most, and when they needed you. Now, you are going to be married, and I will prevent you from giving your full attention to your wife and children.

Lies. If Malik was not there, Isildur would not be of much use to anyone. Just to hear the ghost ponder the convenience of his departure had crippled him, to the point that for days he had been unable to breathe normally unless Malik was in sight. A part of Isildur, the part that was still the young and valiant warrior he had once been known as, had cringed in shame at the idea of anyone learning about this. The eyes of Círdan had been like arrows piercing his defences, or the flaming torches used by Orcs and tribesmen to inspect their hideouts while they were scattered and vulnerable. When their host had realized that Isildur did not want to meet them anymore, and noticed –as it could not have been otherwise- his careful avoidance of the discussions about colonization and territory, leaving Anárion as the only spokesman, he had affected an exquisite courtesy and pretended to swallow Isildur’s excuses, but deep inside the disapproval had done nothing but grow. Isildur did not like to be judged, least of all by an Elf who was unable to even understand the concept of loss.

That was why leaving all this behind had felt as liberating as a breath of pure air. He was active, centered in the outcome of the mission, and it even seemed as if his mind had become sharper than it used to be. When they reached the estuary of the river signalled to them as a convenient starting point for their explorations, he was the one who supervised the manoeuvres of mooring and landing, in a small bay framed by the curve of the coast as it folded to form the river mouth. He was also the one who gave orders to set camp, build a protective enclosure –the trees were the same as down South in the Middle Havens and gave good timber, though they were much more abundant up here-, and establish the watches and patrols which would alert the others to the arrival of natives. Meanwhile, Anárion did nothing but sit inside his cabin, staring at the Shipwright’s maps as if he was trying to find the solution to a hard riddle.

It was already late in the evening when they finished their work, and for that first night they all slept undisturbed. The morning after, however, a messenger from the patrol on duty came early to bring them news of their first encounter with the wild men. He seemed to be in a state of excitement, as if what he had seen had surprised him, though it took more than a few well-directed questions for his garbled story to make sense. As it turned out, they had found a young man, probably sent by the tribe that inhabited the area to gauge the intentions of the newcomers and spy their movements, for he was alone and unarmed, and a search of the area had not given signs of any other companions. But this young man did not look like the people of the Middle Havens at all. At first, when they came upon him, the Númenóreans had wondered if the maps had been wrong, or if they had not been following them correctly –at this, the messenger gave a brief, apologetic look in Isildur’s direction -, for he was tall and beardless, and moved so gracefully and sure-footedly in the wild that he looked like one of the Fair Folk. But the crude fabric of his loincloth, and, above all, his barbaric speech, had given him away as a very much human Forest Man. They had taken him prisoner then, and awaited instructions as to what to do with him.

“The Forest People I know would never be mistaken for an Elf”, Anárion spoke, voicing what Isildur himself had been thinking. “He must be an unusual tribesman indeed.”

“Bring him here”, Isildur ordered. The man bowed and left.

Soon afterwards, two more men came in with the prisoner. He was very young, practically still a boy. His hands had been bound, though he did not oppose much resistance, or show any reaction except to stare in bewilderment at his surroundings. When he saw the ships, however, he looked very frightened, and when they tried to bring him closer to them, he dug in his heels and refused to budge.

Why is it that all barbarians hate the Sea? Malik wondered aloud. Does it come from their nature, as your friend the Shipwright would have said, or is it simply that they connect it with the Númenóreans?

The young man did not surrender easily. At some point, he pulled back yelling something in his language, and kicked one of the men in the shin. Immediately, the other two retaliated and pinned him to the ground, where he kept struggling until Anárion walked towards them, talking some sort of gibberish that Isildur could not understand. In shock, he realized that it had to be some form of the Forest People’s dialect. Upon hearing it, the young barbarian ceased in his attempts to escape, and lay still. Tentatively, he spoke some words to Anárion, who nodded, and said something else. The prisoner frowned, as if he could not understand, but just when Isildur thought that his brother’s attempts to speak the native language had not been as successful as he had hoped, he spoke again.

“Where did you learn that?” Isildur asked, disgruntled, while the men slowly retreated to allow the young man room to stand back on his feet. Anárion shook his head impatiently, as if he found it distracting to have to reply to stupid questions in the middle of important business.

“Grandfather’s notes. He was stationed in the Middle Havens, once upon a time”, he explained. “Isildur, this young man has Númenórean blood. He was either kidnapped in a raid as a child or, more likely, his mother was.”

Someone like me, Malik said, though from his tone Isildur could not tell if this amused or saddened him. The only difference is that this one grew up on the wrong side of the Sea. Or the wrong side of the world, one might say.

Isildur watched almost numbly as Anárion continued his mysterious attempts at conversation with the prisoner. As he did so, he tried to take everything in: the boy’s clear eyes, the dark colour of the locks of his hair, the telltale features, especially the shape of his nose, which set him drastically apart from the flat-faced men who inhabited these parts. He was quite fair, even by Númenórean standards. Looking at him from up close, it did not seem so ridiculous that he had been mistaken for an Elf by the men who first came upon him in this savage corner of the world.

“He is afraid of the ships because of the Middle Havens raids. But from the way he speaks, he does not seem to have lived through one; rather, they must have become some sort of legend for his people. In which case, I daresay we have turned into the demons of their children’s stories”, Anárion explained. “Perhaps some Númenórean commander reached those places long ago, looking for greater glory than his predecessors, or perhaps it was only the tale that travelled. But I do not understand what is he doing here, then, so far away from the Númenórean settlements. My grasp on his language is not good enough to tell.”

“If he is a Númenórean, he will learn our language easily enough”, Isildur replied, though he did not know what made him so sure of that. Anárion arched an eyebrow, but he did not comment on it. Instead, he focused on the young man again.

It was obvious that the deeper their conversation ran, the greater the communication problem became, until even Anárion’s countenance gave some open signs of frustration. In the end, he was forced to surrender for the time being, and told the men to feed the prisoner and find him a place to stay. Isildur was sure that his brother would spend the whole afternoon poring over Amandil’s old language notes, perhaps even trying to correct their omissions and shortcomings with the reluctant help of the young man –whose name, at least, had been revealed as “Tal-Elmar uHazad”, or “Tal Elmar son of Hazad”, according to Anárion. This confirmed their suspicions, as “Elmar” did not sound like a Northern barbarian name at all.

“You would do better to stop trying to learn his language and teach him our own”, Isildur insisted. This time, Anárion did not ignore him.

“It takes months to learn a language properly, sometimes more. And it is not a matter of blood. It took our father years to learn Quenya while Grandmother grasped it easily, and your friend Malik had as much trouble with the tongues of the Haradrim as you did” he told Isildur. “We need current information on the geography and the people who live in this place. All I could gather from his words was that he hails from some kind of large settlement at the other side of the forest, and that they have a chief, whom he calls the Master, who sent him here. But he could not understand my questions about the number of warriors they have, the weaponry they use, and their alliances with neighbouring tribes. Either that, or he pretended not to understand.”

“I saw no cunning, or traces of double dealing in those eyes” Isildur claimed. He could not speak or read many tongues, but at least he could read people. “Probably your grasp of the language is simply too tenuous.”

This touched a nerve.

“At least I have some grasp of it. And unless you somehow manage to look into his eyes and find all this information written in them, that is what is going to give us the intelligence that we need.”

“Go ahead and find it then.” Isildur shrugged, affecting nonchalance. To say the truth, not even he could fully understand why he was reacting like this to this young half-breed who had wandered into their camp. Perhaps he had not recovered as well as he had thought from his experience with the Elves. “Meanwhile, I will go on patrol myself, to make sure they don’t come looking for him in greater numbers.”

Anárion nodded gravely.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

But no more barbarians came in to get their companion, and, as time progressed, Anárion began to gather clues which helped them to piece the situation together. He had taken it as a personal challenge to improve his language skills, bringing his precious notes to the prisoner’s tent, where he spent all day from early in the morning until Isildur barged in to remind his brother that this Tal Elmar, despite what the men might had thought when they first saw him, was no Elf and needed to sleep. The boy’s eyes grew wide when he saw him, and he instinctively retreated, until Anárion sighed and explained something to him. At this, the prisoner blinked, then nodded thoughtfully.

“For the last time, Isildur, he cannot understand you. If you act unfriendly in his presence, he will believe himself to be the target of your hostility. After all, he is surrounded by enemies, and from what I have been able to gather, this seems to have been a constant throughout his life, even while he lived among his own people.”

It makes sense. I doubt the Forest People would be very well disposed towards someone who looks so much like… you.

Still, it was not so easy as it seemed to solve the mystery of the young man’s parentage. Throughout all his conversations with Anárion, he often mentioned his father with an air of worry that pointed at the man being in some kind of danger, one which seemed to concern his son even more than his own plight. Whenever Anárion tried to mention his mother, however, he looked nothing if not unresponsive, as if the very word did not mean much to him. If she had been a Númenórean, she had probably died when her son was young. Death did not look like such an unappealing fate for a woman who had fallen captive to a tribe of forest savages, Isildur thought, remembering some of the things he had seen back in Arne.

Resigned to this, Anárion had kept pressing Tal Elmar on the subject of his father, and his persistence had borne some interesting fruit. This Hazad was the son of an old chieftain, a very powerful warrior who had obtained a great victory over the tribe’s enemies in the past –most likely troops sent from the Númenórean garrison of the Middle Havens, Anárion explained needlessly. Later, the family had fallen under some kind of hard times, and another clan had gained ascendency over their people. The new chief, Mogru, had never stopped seeing Hazad, his sons and his clansmen as a threat to his rule, and he seemed to hate Tal Elmar most of all. That is why the young man had been sent here, in the hope that the Númenóreans would do his dirty work for him and finish him off.

“This could become a good opportunity”, Anárion declared, as both walked across the camp under an unusually clear sky, full of bright stars. “If there is such a division in the tribe, we could take advantage of it to establish our influence in this area. This Mogru was foolish enough to send us his rival’s son: we can make use of him now, and help Hazad’s clan get rid of their ancestral enemies. In exchange, they would have to strike an alliance with us.”

“After all the tales they must have heard from their Southern neighbours, I very much doubt they will be eager to trust a Númenórean”, Isildur objected. “And I would be even more wary of trusting them. If our suspicions are correct, and I see no reason why they would not be, this Hazad raped a Númenórean woman to bear a half-breed child.”

“Whatever he did to her, he seems to have a good relationship with his son, and that might make him better disposed towards people who look like him. Or who keep him hostage and yet are treating him well, at any rate”, Anárion replied. Then, he seemed to anticipate Isildur’s answer, because he stopped in his tracks and gazed into his eyes. “I still have much information to gather, which is the reason why I was so reluctant to let him rest. Until we know the facts and the figures, this is just idle scheming, of the kind which may develop into something more or be discarded as a bad idea if the circumstances do not play along. And you will be the judge of that, of course.”

“Are you humouring me like you humour the governor of Sor?” Isildur snorted. He knows by now that it tends to work with most people, Malik chimed in. “You do seem cold-hearted enough to make your own choices in a war situation.”

“Perhaps.” There was no way to tell whether Anárion had taken this as a compliment or as a reproach. “But I still do not know anything about war itself.”

“You will learn soon enough”, his brother predicted, before walking away in the direction of his own tent.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The next day, Isildur spent long periods sitting on the tent where Tal Elmar and Anárion persisted in their arduous attempts at conversation. He still could not understand a single word of what they spoke, but he took to scrutinizing the young man’s features as he talked, looking for something, though he was not even sure of what it was. Sometimes, Tal Elmar became unnerved enough to lose the thread of his speech, and then Anárion gave him reproachful looks to which Isildur paid little heed.

He is not me, Isildur, Malik reminded him, with his usual brutal honesty. Whatever the circumstances of his birth might be, he is one of the Forest People. You are his enemies, and he probably even blames you for the contempt and mistrust his fellow tribesmen always heaped upon him.

But despite Malik’s opinions, there was a point where even Isildur, with his limited understanding of what was taking place, was able to realize something. Tal Elmar was not just sidetracked from Anárion’s single-minded interrogation by his difficulty to understand the questions. He was also trying, with an insistence that seemed to grow with the knowledge that he was in no immediate danger from them, to hijack the conversation with questions of his own, which Anárion sometimes answered, and sometimes dismissed with barely concealed irritation. When Isildur asked his brother for the nature of those questions, Anárion explained that the prisoner wanted to know where they came from, whether they belonged to the same kindred as the Sea People who drove his people off to be sacrificed to their god, and whether they were all as tall as they were, with their clear eyes and long noses.

“You belong to that kindred, too”, Isildur intervened, so Anárion would translate his words. “Your mother was one of us.”

Tal Elmar frowned, and shook his head defiantly, saying something where the same word was often repeated. “His father”, Anárion informed him, with a soft sigh, “he is speaking of him again.”

Still, Isildur was seized by the suspicion, which did not come only from his personal demons, that the young man’s hostility at the idea of a connection between them hid a strong curiosity, which kept growing the more they interacted with him and he saw his own features reflected back at him. Perhaps, behind the almost overpowering terror of the dark ships which swallowed his people, and took them into the heart of the seas to never return, there were brief lapses of wondering how his life could be among those who did not find his appearance a cause for hatred and suspicion. For a moment, Isildur found himself wishing there could be a way to tell this young man about Malik, about his happy childhood and lawless youth in the Island, and the renown he had acquired as a warrior.

You should also warn him that it didn’t end well, Malik declared, effectively yanking him off from his unseemly reveries. Irked, Isildur shook his head to discard those idle thoughts. Anárion’s plan, if there were means to put it in practice, did not involve taking the young man with them to Númenor, but using him and his family affiliations to establish a presence in this land. Isildur might have been left with the authority to decide on their course of action, but he could not misuse it to kidnap Tal Elmar for the boy’s own good and engage in open warfare with those savages he thought he owed a debt to.

Things, however, came to a head soon afterwards, in a way that Isildur had to admit he had not expected. On the third day after Tal Elmar was first brought to their presence, the men on patrol sent news that they had made a second prisoner. This one did not look at all like an Elf or a Númenórean: he was an old tribesman whose ugly features and hairy head reminded them of his southern kinsmen, though there was a wilder glint in his eyes that bore witness that he had never bowed to a Númenórean before. As he was dragged before them, he was yelling something in his own tongue, of which Isildur could only make out the name “Tal Elmar.”

“Bring him with us”, Anárion ordered, and they took him to Tal Elmar’s tent. The moment his eyes were able to distinguish the identity of the person who sat inside it, he ceased in his resistance, and gave a cry of joy. Tal Elmar rushed to embrace him, mumbling a strange litany of singsong gibberish in the old man’s ear. The word which Anárion had previously translated as ‘father’ recurred at least twice.

Isildur stared. Though he had already imagined that their first prisoner would not favour his father’s looks, it was somehow worse to see it with his own eyes. There was nothing of the older man in him, not even the slightest resemblance. Could a Númenórean child have been taken from his cradle, to be led away by the barbarians together with his mother? If so, Tal Elmar did not seem to have an inkling of this. For a while, it was as if none of them were even there, as he talked to the other man and exchanged updates at a much faster pace than the one he had employed to speak to Anárion for all those days. Isildur could see that his brother was frowning, trying to glean as much information as he could from their first, careless reactions. Only when the older tribesman turned a wary look towards them, he gave a step forward and nodded courteously to him.

“Hazad uBuldar” he greeted. Astonished at hearing his own language from the lips of a Númenórean, the man first studied Anárion as if trying to commit every pore of his skin to his memory, then slowly answered his nod.

Isildur had grown used in the last days to watch the countenance of their interlocutors, to calibrate the tone and inflexion of their voices, even without understanding a word of what they were saying. As the four of them sat down and the conversation progressed, however, it became apparent that Hazad did know some Adûnaic himself, with which he tried to impress Anárion as much as Anárion had impressed him.

“Wife?” Anárion asked. The old man shook his head, and Isildur bristled in anger. Did he think he could simply deny it, while sitting on a camp full of armed Númenóreans?

“Mother”, he replied. Anárion blinked, then pointed at Tal Elmar.

“His mother?” he asked again. Hazad pointed at himself.

“Mother”, he repeated. Suddenly, a loving expression crossed his savage features, softening them. Isildur stared at him, speechless.

Hah. Sometimes children do not look at all like their parents, do they?

If Anárion had been taken by surprise as Isildur had, his look did not betray it. Instead, he seemed to take the whole thing as a sign that his scheme was destined to succeed, for if the old man’s words were true, that would turn his whole clan into kin to the Númenóreans. And if he had loved his mother, as it seemed from the way in which he had spoken of her, it might not take much effort to convince him that not all Númenóreans were evil. Or at least not evil to him, Isildur rectified the thought.

While the conversation progressed, and thanks to the tentative Adûnaic of their interlocutor, both Isildur and Anárion gained a better understanding of both the situation of their clan and that of the whole tribe. As it turned out, Hazad’s father Buldar, the old chieftain, had been the one to take a Númenórean captive home and marry her against her will. Other tribesmen had spoken against this behind his back, and when bad luck seemed to haunt his footsteps they had whispered among themselves that he had invoked a curse upon his clan by marrying one of the Sea People. She died early, and one by one, their sons had predeceased their father as well, some falling in war, and others of sickness. In the end, Hazad was the only one who remained, and he had been unable to fight when Mogru, leader of an ancient rival clan, had made a grab for power and displaced him. Since then, he had borne many sons –seventeen, the man revealed proudly-, in the hope that one day they would be strong enough to regain the power that their father had lost. But except for Tal Elmar, the youngest and most beloved of them all –here, he briefly patted his son’s hand, though the young man could probably not understand what they were saying- the rest were a bunch of lazy cowards, who would never find it in themselves to rise against Mogru and his people. That was why Mogru had contrived to send Tal Elmar to the ships, hoping that the evil Sea People would take him away and sacrifice him in their altars. And when he did not return, he had ordered his father to go, to make up for the boy’s failure.

Almost in spite of himself, Isildur was feeling his respect for the man grow, as his previous judgement had given way to new appreciations of his character. Above all, he liked how he spoke of the evil Sea People and their altars in their presence, without mincing his words or even looking apologetic.

“We are not going to sacrifice anyone”, Anárion answered the unasked question, as if it was nothing but a minor point. “But perhaps we could help you. After all, you are part-Númenórean yourself, and so are your sons.”

The man’s countenance did not change visibly at these words, but Isildur’s penetrating eye could detect a slight rigidity in his spine, a brief gleam in his eye, which told him that the old man was ready to talk business with them. He had seen this many times in Arne, and, above all, in Harad: barbarians ready to turn against their own people on behalf of foreign invaders, if this would allow them to have what they had always coveted: riches, power, or revenge.

Because the Númenóreans have never fought or killed each other, have they, Isildur?

That night, when Isildur left his brother and Hazad to their animated discussion by the fireside, he walked outside the tent to find Tal Elmar sitting on the wet ground. He was hugging his folded knees with his hands, and gazing at the Númenórean ships with a strange frown.

Isildur stopped in his tracks.

“You could still come with us if you want”, he said, though he already knew that the young man would not understand his words.

“Why the sails is black?” the young man asked, in a heavily accented Adûnaic. For the second time in that day, Isildur was too shocked to say a word. “Is that not… evil?”

Of course, the father would have taught his favourite son all the useful skills that he had at his disposition. Malik rolled his eyes. But it was really clever of him to hide it from you. I am starting to like the lad.

Isildur took a very deep breath.

“The sails have stars embroidered in them”, he explained. “The star is the symbol of Númenor, and before that, it was also a symbol for the Elves. But for the stars to appear, the sky must be black. A starry sky at night is beautiful, not evil.”

“Old men always say, sails black. No stars. Kill people, burn in altars. Evil” Tal Elmar objected somberly. Isildur shrugged.

“We are all evil sometimes. Your grandmother knew much about that.”

Tal Elmar did not flinch.

“Will Father be Master of Agar land? Thanks to you?”

“This remains to be seen. But if we reach an agreement, yes.”

“And the Master?”

“If he opposes us with violence, he will die. Such is the way of war.”

“Why? Why help us?”

No, he is not stupid at all. He deserves an honest answer.

“Because we need a Master who owes us a great debt so we can settle in these lands safely.”

“Like… South?”

This time, it was Isildur who was tempted to flinch.

“We are from the house of Andúnië, Tal Elmar uHazad. We are not like the other Númenóreans your people has met. If you keep your word, we will keep ours.” He managed a brief smile. “And if you ever decide to step into our ships, we will not sacrifice you.”

Tal Elmar nodded solemnly. Still, Isildur could not help but realize that his gaze had closed again, bolted shut with a mistrust which was the boy’s only inheritance from his father’s people. Repressing a shiver from the chill of the night, the son of Elendil drew his cloak tighter over his shoulders, and left him sitting there.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Gimilzagar and his father stayed in Umbar for over a month. The Prince of the West spent most of that time in training –his skills on horseback had been judged particularly important for the challenges ahead- and being taken on short inspection trips beyond the Second Wall. In all that time, the events of the first day were not mentioned again, as if they had decided wordlessly to pretend they had never happened. Sometimes, Gimilzagar even wondered if he could have dreamed them, for no outlaws were brought in from the desert again, and no women or children were sacrificed. Whenever they rode to some Haradric village or town, the roads seemed peaceful enough, and the natives -who did not look as different from the Númenóreans as Gimilzagar had been led to believe, at least when they were in their own territory and going about their business- did not gaze at him with the hatred he had expected. Instead, they fixed him with long, penetrating glances that often made him feel quite uncomfortable, before they reluctantly tore them away and bowed low.

“The Haradrim believe you can see the soul of a man through his eyes if you know how to look”, Ar Pharazôn explained. “As you can see, your soul is of great interest to them, for you will rule their destinies one day.”

He seemed to be in a good mood these days, and more talkative than usual, both answering the few queries that Gimilzagar actually voiced and the many more that he could anticipate. He also told his son stories of his life and campaigns in Harad –Gimilzagar could not help but feel struck with awe whenever he thought that his father had spent the entire lifetime of a lesser Númenórean here-, of the people he had known, the victories he had won, and even, to the young man’s surprise, bits and pieces of Haradric history, lore and culture which not even the merchants of Umbar knew. Most of those things had been revealed to him by a Haradric woman who had joined the ranks of the allies of Númenor, and became leader of the cavalry during Pharazôn’s generalship. She had been a barbarian, but whenever he spoke of her, Gimilzagar could detect genuine admiration in his voice. The Prince was seized by a renewed feeling of unreality. How could a man who knew and loved Harad so well be so cruel to its people?

“I will never forget her tone of superiority whenever she told me that I was too civilized to understand how things worked here.” Gimilzagar had not voiced any of these questions, but some wistfulness in his look seemed to have betrayed him. He swallowed: they had never skirted so close to the edge of acknowledging their previous disagreement. “Now, at last, though we Númenóreans are slow learners, I believe I am beginning to understand. Civilization does not bring peace; it is peace, which might one day bring civilization.”

Gimilzagar looked down. Suddenly, he felt that he knew what his father had been trying to achieve with this, taking him on all his trips, having him meet those people who lived peacefully, even telling those stories and anecdotes. He had been expecting a surrender; an apology, secure in the knowledge that one day, sooner or later, it would inevitably come. And then they would work as a team again, the lieutenant properly humbled into acknowledging that his captain’s judgement was never wrong.

He bristled, the very idea inspiring such a degree of aversion in his soul that even he was surprised at its virulence. After all, apologizing to his father, to the King of Númenor, ruler of the world and supreme commander of the very army Gimilzagar was now a part of, should not be anything out of the ordinary. It should be a foregone conclusion, something instinctive, as it had been to Gimilzagar himself back in Númenor. And yet, this time, he could not bring himself to do it. He remembered those terrifying, half-whispered words he had heard while he lay in the dark, she knew that her soul was the only thing she had left to deny us, and she did. A part of him felt identified with that wretched woman, who seemed to have no room left to fight her implacable fate, and yet had found a way to do it. His father could make him do many things, but he could not force him to apologize, which is why he was trying to have him do it of his own free will. And he needed Gimilzagar as much as Gimilzagar needed him. This thought gave him strength, even in these places where his love of Fíriel seemed like nothing but a distant memory.

“She was an outlaw once, was she not, Father?” he asked, feeling reckless. “And yet you let her live, and she became a great asset to Númenor and to you. I wonder how many Merimnes are being burned in the temple of Umbar nowadays.”

His aim had been true. Ar Pharazôn’s good humour was gone, and his golden forehead curved into a scowl.

“The circumstances back then were very different, Gimilzagar”, he said, in a cutting tone that brooked no argument. “One day, you will understand this. Meanwhile, you will observe everything I do, keep your mouth shut, and learn.”

Gimilzagar bowed.

“Yes, my lord King”,

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Once the King judged that they had spent enough time in Harad, and the chosen troops were prepared to march, he set a date for their departure. Gimilzagar did not look forward to the prospect of covering large distances through foreign lands, whose landscapes and fascinating curiosities paled in his mind before the promise of more horrors, wars, and deaths. The hardships of the journey would also be considerable, especially for someone who, like him, was not used to riding horses or wearing armour. In Númenor, he had always travelled on a palanquin, but this contraption was made for ladies, according to his father, and had no place in an army. Here, he would have to ride next to the King and feel grateful for it, for there were those who walked on foot, and they were not surrounded by a squadron of the best soldiers of Númenor bent on the sole task of their protection. In certain inhospitable lands, isolated soldiers of the army’s vanguard or rearguard could have their throats slit by Orcs or bandits who crept on them while they least expected it. Gimilzagar, by comparison, would remain as safe and comfortable as anyone could be, and any complaints would be regarded as a show of wilful ungratefulness on his part. It might have been payback for the Prince’s mention of Merimne in that conversation, or just the stress of the preparations for their long march, but Ar Pharazôn seemed to be done being nice to his son for the time being.

The route they followed took them first through the North of Harad, where the desert was at its most merciless. The South had ceased being a wasteland thanks to the costly irrigation systems built by Númenórean engineers through the centuries, but the North had been neglected until recent times, which is why it had become the home to the poorest and fiercest tribes, and also why most outlaws chose to try their luck there. All that really mattered about this province seemed to be keeping the large road built for the deployment of soldiers and caravans in a good state and safe. As they rode through it, Gimilzagar saw that there were many forts with Númenórean garrisons, standing at regular intervals. Beyond that closely-delineated space, he was told, only beasts and lawless savages roamed, killing and eating those mad enough to venture in their territory.

After this bleak landscape, the crossing of the river Poros gave way to what looked like a wholly different world. Peaceful agricultural tribes toiled in their fertile fields, in a land which appeared as blessed by the gods as the neighbouring one had been cursed. They were all subject to the ancient kingdom of Arne, which had become a governorship in the final years of the reign of Gimilzagar’s grandfather Ar Inziladûn. Compared to the Haradrim, those people did not give the Númenóreans much trouble; as Abdazer would have said, peace and prosperity did not breed fierce warriors. Once upon a time, however, when the kingdom of Mordor had thrived behind the impressive chain of mountains which separated this land from the dark plains, it had been a rather different story. The kings and noblemen of Arne had schemed and established alliances with the enemy of Númenor, and this had brought Ar Pharazôn to conduct two wars here, ending in two of his most glorious and best remembered victories. But after they no longer had a powerful ally to turn to, and allegiance to Númenor was the only option that remained, their behaviour had improved significantly. In the last twenty years, there had only been a minor uprising, which had barely surpassed the stage of conspiracy, but still provided a useful opportunity to weed out the wolves masquerading as sheep among the Arnian nobility. Now, only the genuine sheep remained: a splendidly attired, decadent folk, rich and fat from the benefits of their trade with the Merchant Princes of Pelargir, who had sold their pride in exchange for comfort and safety. When they stopped by the capital to enjoy the Governor’s hospitality, their whole company was treated with a servile reverence which Gimilzagar had not seen anywhere in Harad, not even in Armenelos.

If he had assumed that this would put the King in a good mood, however, Gimilzagar was sorely mistaken. Ar Pharazôn was especially irritable during the week they stayed there, and he seemed to have nothing but scathing words for the Arnians and open contempt for their culture, no matter how hard they tried to win his favour. The Prince wondered about this paradox: to be bent in eradicating rebellion from a population at any cost, only to lose all interest and respect in them once this succeeded, like a dog would spit out a bone after all its substance had been absorbed. Perhaps this applied to him too, if on the reverse. Back in Númenor, he had been like the Arnians, and his father had scorned him for it, while in Middle-Earth he had grown a rebellious streak which had displeased and angered the King, but at least seemed to have made him worthy of notice. Of course, he thought immediately after, the Arnians could hardly afford to become worthy of notice - and even if he could, for now, he did not know how far he would be able to push it before something gave way.

The day they left Arne, Gimilzagar had barely recovered from his last saddle sores, and the moment he jumped on his horse he could feel them break anew. It was a rather insidious sort of pain, constant and self-regenerating, and connected to an activity that took most of his day but at the same time did not require any thinking, which at least would have provided some distraction. Perhaps his father’s cold demeanour was a blessing in disguise, for the thought that he was being tested prevented him from bursting into tears and calling for Mother, as he might still have done not too long ago.

Still, the closest they rode to the dark plains of Mordor, and the more its poisonous air choked his lungs, the more depressed Gimilzagar felt, and the more futile he found his childish defiance. His thoughts and dreams of Rómenna and Fíriel, the last bulwark of his spirit, were beginning to fade inexorably from his mind, their place taken by a host of nightmares. He always had trouble remembering his nightmares since he was a child, but those he had now were so vivid that they remained etched in his mind long after he awoke. In all of them, he saw people dying violently, and his father suddenly turning into Lord Zigûr, who laughed and claimed that he had been masquerading as Ar Pharazôn all this time, and that Gimilzagar would die for opposing his plans. Somehow, before the creature killed him, the Prince was able to see those plans come to fruition: the island of Númenor, Harad, Arne, the whole world turned into a dark and poisonous plain, a giant Mordor where the sun was no longer allowed to shine. And in the spot where the Palace of Armenelos once stood, slaves brought from every conquered land toiled ceaselessly to build a black tower, taller than any building Gimilzagar had ever seen, taller even than the Meneltarma, where a red eye glared malevolently at him from the top. That eye looked strangely familiar, though as much as he wracked his brains, Gimilzagar was unable to tell where he had seen it before.

One day, they crossed an impressive ravine which used to be the main gateway to the Dark Lord’s kingdom, and came upon the large plain where, once upon a time, the army of Númenor had laid siege to Mordor. By this point, he was so shaken by his dreams that he no longer felt confident in his ability to tell them apart from reality, so when he saw a huge camp, erected around an enormous enclosure holding more people than his eyes could count, he had to blink repeatedly and press his fingernails against his palms until he was sure that what he saw was real. Those people were all chained, like the slaves brought from beyond the Sea to the market of Sor. Some of them were white-skinned, others sallow, and others dark, just as the men and women who populated his visions. Some wore rags, others rich clothes; others nothing. Some had dark blue eyes, others brown or black, but all of them held the same expression: a terrible hopelessness which tore his innards like the cold hand of the executioner of his dreams.

“Who… are they?” he asked, willing his voice not to shake. His father did not answer, Gimilzagar did not know if because he had not heard him or because he was pretending not to, but one of the commanders of the army turned towards him.

“This is the tribute from Western Rhûn, my lord prince. Every year, it is assembled here to be taken South to the Númenórean lands, where it will be sorted out. Some of this people will be used as slaves, while others will be sacrificed to the Great Deliverer. A number of them will be shipped to Númenor, where I am sure you must have seen the likes of them being offered to the god in the great spring and summer festivals.”

“And what have they done?” he inquired, still in the same calm tone. His father remained firmly gazing ahead, giving them his back. The man shrugged.

“Who knows? You could ask their rulers, my lord prince, for it is their responsibility to choose whom to send. The wisest ones will send us their criminals, the cleverest, their enemies, and the stingiest, their old and infirm - until they realize that those shipments die before reaching us and they have to make double payment. I have heard rumours that there are places where they draw lots, and those who lose end up here, but I do not know if this is true.” He shook his head, repressing a shudder which had nothing to do with the cold. “To have your life depend on something as arbitrary as picking up the wrong stick or the right pebble… even though they are barbarians, it sounds too horrible.”

Gimilzagar nodded politely to the soldier, his eyes busy searching for his father, who had suddenly galloped ahead in the middle of the conversation. Since they left Umbar, Ar Pharazôn had always kept him close, just as he had promised back in the Palace of Armenelos, and though they had not spoken much in the last weeks, the proud, purple-clad silhouette riding a white steed had never been away from his line of sight. Now, for the first time, the King was gone, and no matter where he looked, Gimilzagar was unable to find him. If only he had not known so much better, he might have thought his father to be hiding from him. But by now, the Prince understood that a man who did those things would not be affected by the criticism or the censure of those around him, no matter how close they were in kinship or estimation. All that was left for them was the choice of sharing his world, or leaving it altogether.

“My lord prince? My lord prince, are you feeling well?”

Gimilzagar had been pondering death since he was too young to remember, but he was not ready to die yet. Even if this meant living in his father’s world, he had to grit his teeth and endure, if only for the distant hope that one day his mother’s prophecies would become true. He had given enough signs of weakness in the past; now, he needed to be strong.

“I am perfectly fine, Commander.”

That night, however, in the privacy of a royal tent where Ar Pharazôn had not set foot since their arrival, the Prince of the West cried himself to sleep.

 

The Númenórean Empire II

Read The Númenórean Empire II

 

The tributary system of the Númenórean empire was as effective in its purpose as it was cruel in its implications. It did not only provide an endless supply of souls to feed the magic ensuring the invulnerability of the armies of the Island and the power of its Sceptre, and of bodies that toiled ceaselessly for its bounty and prosperity. It also provided safety and stability to the areas which had traditionally been subject to Númenórean dominion, the ones where most of their actual wealth was extracted in the shape of precious metals and products to feed their own population. By demanding that every leader Ar Pharazôn had ever conquered fulfilled a quota of “sacrifices” every year, the Númenórean Sceptre was, in fact, forcing every land and people who could have been a threat to them to spend every ounce of their strength, every drop of the blood they were allowed to keep fighting and raiding each other, in a neverending contest where survival was the ultimate goal. The powerful regularly fed on their weakest neighbours, who, in turn, sought retaliation through banditry and terrorism. Through all this process, the brunt of their hatred fell on the enemy in their close proximity, leaving them no time to focus on a distant oppressor whom they imagined to be unassailable. Because of this, the Númenórean empire had been allowed to thrive without fearing an invasion on its own territory.

To think that the largest part of the world could be condemned to unending war for the sake of their own power brought a new brand of horror to Gimilzagar’s mind, which was not as visceral as the one evoked by the death of the children, perhaps, but which proved more enduring in his mind on the long run, and grew stronger the more he drew implications from it. Despite the events he had witnessed in Harad, and his disagreement with his father’s ways, the Prince had still been able to feel in some level that Ar Pharazôn wanted the best for that country, that he loved it, even with a love that was as merciless as its deserts. But the people of Rhûn were nothing but pieces on a board, or numbers in his head. They had never mattered, and they never would.

Still, even all the anger he felt towards his father could not cloud Gimilzagar’s instinct, which told him that Ar Pharazôn was not, could not be the person behind this state of things. Back in Harad, his father had stood proudly by his own decisions, dared Gimilzagar to do better, and grew enraged at his stubborn opposition. Here, he merely carried on with his business without a word, an argument, or an explanation to his son, as if deep inside he was aware that there was none to be given. The Prince would not go as far as to venture that his father was feeling guilty, but at least he had the impression that Ar Pharazôn did not consider himself to be the author of this system; that it was a handy tool he had found somewhere else, ready to be used. The King of Númenor detested “sensitivity” –as he referred to Gimilzagar’s own disposition- and any kind of squeamishness, which is why he could go to great lengths to get his hands dirty if he perceived it to be to his own advantage or that of the Island. But his mind was not so twisted.

Who had come up with this diabolical scheme, then? Nobody would have been able to tell Gimilzagar outright, even if he had asked, but he immediately suspected the hand of Lord Zigûr in it. He had never seen the High Priest act as anything but the perfect courtier, yet certain details and indices that the Prince had been piecing together for a long time now, from the words of a tutor to an impressionable young child to the tales of the Umbarians about the Haradrim, the looming darkness of Mordor and, above everything, the sinister shadow who presided over every one of his most recent nightmares, had slowly eroded this beautiful appearance of wisdom and kindness. Now, faced with such perfect mixture of simplicity and cunning, directed towards the total control of everything and everyone living and breathing on Middle-Earth, Gimilzagar could not help but think of the ancient spirit’s subtle manipulation of those around him to achieve his desired outcomes, in ways that made it difficult for those involved to recognize or resent his hand on the strings. One particular conversation came to his mind: the one where Lord Zigûr had pretended to defend him and ended by having the King come up with the idea of taking Gimilzagar to Middle-Earth. Had he known that this journey would lead to the estrangement of father and son? Or had his thoughts run even deeper, to the point that he was able to foresee something happening that would rid him of Gimilzagar for ever? So far, the boy had been mere leverage to him, and his extended existence a tribute to his powers, but Zigûr must have been aware of his innermost feelings even before the Prince had grown aware of them himself. In the dreams, he had always claimed that Gimilzagar had to die for opposing his plans.

Then again, killing Gimilzagar was not exactly difficult, as it was much easier than to keep him alive. To do so while Father and Mother lived would be high treason, but after they were gone, his survival would hang from a thread – a thread which, he saw in a horrible moment of realization, could very well depend on his compliance with Zigûr’s designs. He would be the perfect puppet ruler, so perfect that he could not understand why the High Priest would see him as a threat. Unless he feared that Gimilzagar could find a way to reverse the tide, to end his influence before his parents fell to the Doom of Men. But this is where his thoughts ran into a powerful wall, as he could not see a way to do it that would not require his own death.

Day after day, he did nothing but run over those thoughts obsessively while hiding in the tent, protected by the woven fabric of its walls from the dreary landscape around him. They would stay here at least for another week before resuming their journey, Father had told him in one of their few conversations since the day of their arrival. But before half of the time had passed, Gimilzagar began to experience a strange feeling, which reminded him of sitting on the cliffside of Rómenna on a pleasant summer evening, only to start noticing, as the hours passed by, that the cooling breeze was seeping into his skin and bones and turning into an insidious cold. On the morning of the third day, he awoke from an agitated sleep to the chilling realization that all his dreams had belonged to someone else. In them, he had been a woman who picked a red-dyed pebble from a clay pot, propped against some kind of altar in front of a miserable cottage. An older woman was crying in the background, tearing her face with her fingernails, while two children watched her with huge, terrified eyes. She had been locked away in an enclosure that smelled of urine, blood and vomit, brought across mountains and plains, among many others who spoke different languages from hers. Still, no matter how many people she saw, how many cities and roads, whenever she closed her eyes the face of the younger of the children was all that she could see, floating in and out of her mind.

It took him a long time to make sense of this, as he lay on the bed in a daze, trying to extricate the memories that belonged to Gimilzagar, son of Ar Pharazôn and Prince of the West, from those which had adhered themselves to them. But even when he did, he realized that the accumulation of gloom and despair emanating from the doomed souls who slept at the other side of the enclosure was already running too deep under his skin. For the next hours, while he tried his best to forget what lay behind the flimsy canvas painted in purple and gold, he was assailed by more of those thoughts, remembrances of things he had never lived and of people he had never seen. A young man, younger even than Gimilzagar, had been herding goats too far from his village, and he had been waylaid by painted warriors who pressed his head against the ground to bind his hands, while the beasts scattered around them. An older man who had been a powerful courtier, lording above many, had been framed by a rival and accused of conspiracy: he had been dragged away with the others without being allowed to prove his innocence. A woman had been taken when her village was destroyed by enemy troops. A warrior had been caught alive, instead of dying honourably on the battlefield as he was supposed to. Another woman came next, also victim of a surprise raid, and then a man from another village, also destroyed. After a while, Gimilzagar realized that the stories themselves were very repetitive, and yet the details were always different and unique.

He did not need to go out and see their faces, for it was as if they were all there, staring at him with unseeing eyes. Most of them did not notice his presence, though some glances revolved wildly, trying to discover who was this creature that penetrated their thoughts. Gimilzagar had never realized the extent of his power before: he had always been able to feel the overflowing emotions of others if he set himself to it, just like a cat would lap down spilled milk from the floor, but he had never intruded upon the minds themselves. For a brief moment, he wondered if he would be able to suck them empty, to take all their thoughts out until only the shells remained behind, to be driven across the world without ever being touched by fear, grief or horror again. Even though this fantasy was driven by compassion, however, he balked at the idea of doing something so evil. Instead, he tried to concentrate in warm thoughts of his own, of Fíriel’s kiss, of Mother embracing him, of dusk on the peaceful waters of Rómenna, wondering if they could bring at least a kind of temporary comfort to someone. But they were too many, their despair too much of a gaping chasm, and Gimilzagar could not even manage to comfort himself.

It was like this that his father found him at midday, curling under the sheets of his bed while his gaze stared vacantly at the painted stars of the ceiling. Ar Pharazôn’s tone held an edge of worry, and Gimilzagar guessed that he must have called him several times before he received a reaction.

“What is the matter? Are you sick again?”

“No.” He did not recognize his own voice, as if a part of him was still not sure that he was not someone else. To let go of all those people without losing himself in the process was more difficult than he had anticipated, so much that he did not have any wits left to be prudent, or careful. “I am… inside their minds, Father. Inside their thoughts.”

“Inside wh…?” The King’s voice died abruptly when the meaning of his son’s words became clear to him. His features paled, and he advanced towards him, livid. “Stop doing it!”

Gimilzagar did not flinch.

“I cannot stop it. They are many, and I am alone.”

He had never thought he would see the Golden King look completely speechless. And perhaps the Golden King was as unprepared for it as he was, because he hissed a strong curse and stormed away from the tent, leaving Gimilzagar alone again.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Sometime later, the Prince did not know if minutes or hours, Ar Pharazôn was back. This time, he sat by the edge of the bed, and Gimilzagar could feel his callused hands on his face. He tried to tear himself away, but the pressure did not abate until their eyes met, and he was forced to give his father his undivided attention.

“Get ready”, Ar Pharazôn barked. “We are leaving.”

“What?” This new information was so surprising that Gimilzagar was not sure he had heard it correctly. Perhaps this was one of his dreams, and Father’s face would fall down to reveal Lord Zigûr brandishing his sacrificial blade. “Leaving? H-has it –been a week already?”

“It has been enough” the King retorted, with a quelling look. “Put on your armour; your horse is being readied while we speak. The vanguard of the army will break camp with us, and the rearguard will follow tomorrow. Will you rise, or not?”

Now, the thoughts of his father were closest to him, and they became stronger than the dull hum of all his victims. The King was unnerved, aware that it had been a terrible mistake to bring Gimilzagar with him, only because he had been too wilfully blind not to see that the boy was his mother’s son. But it was too late to rectify, and all that was left for them now was the need to ride forward, until they came to the end of their appointed journey.

“I will be ready as you order, Father”, the Prince nodded, struggling into a sitting position. “Just… allow me a moment, please.”

“Very well. But do not tarry too long. We should reach the land of the Seres in a fortnight, and the mountain passes are difficult to cross even in the proper season.” Ar Pharazôn stood up, and, apparently satisfied by Gimilzagar’s responses, moved towards the door to signal his aides to enter. The Prince watched him quietly, repressing a shiver as he yanked the covers away.

“Couldn’t we… stay at this side of the mountains?” He did not know what spirit had possessed him to speak like this, but as the words trickled out of his mouth, he felt as if he was merely letting go of them. “Not just now, but forever. Grandfather, Great-grandfather, Great-great-grandfather, all the other Kings of Númenor never crossed them, and they were powerful kings too, weren’t they? Everybody remembers their names, and their deeds.”

Ar Pharazôn’s hand was raised again, and in the other chamber, the aides must have stopped in their tracks. For a long, agonizing moment, there was nothing but silence, only broken now and then by the distant sound of cries, the neighing of horses, or the stray rattle of a chain.

“That advice could have been valid twenty years ago”, he finally spoke, in a rather quiet voice. “But we already crossed the mountains, and none of those Kings would have been remembered with honour for surrendering what they had been bold enough to claim as their own. Get ready to depart, Gimilzagar, and do not try my patience further.”

And, signalling to the men to approach again, he crossed the threshold and left.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Ar Pharazôn had not meant to take the Northern route for this journey. His original idea had been to reach Seria via the Southern road, which ran parallel to Mordor’s Northern range. But now, all those plans had been changed, and he ordered his generals and commanders to ready their men to cross the mountain path he had inaugurated in the past, turning it into the way of victory. This, he said, would confuse their enemies, those who had not paid their dues and expected the Númenórean army to come from the South. It would also remind the inhabitants of Northern Seria that they, too, were subject to the Númenórean Sceptre, as it had been quite long since they were last confronted by its military might.

Beyond any of those strategical considerations, however, Pharazôn’s decisions had been influenced by Gimilzagar, to an extent he could never allow his men to know. He needed to snatch the boy away from the clutches of the invisible enemy gnawing at his soul, from those thousands of wretches whose despair had broken into his mind, aided by the gloomy landscape of Mordor. Zimraphel had soon learned how to discard that artificial identification with the fate of every creature who crossed her path: anything else would have led directly to madness. But Gimilzagar had never been taught to do it, and the only person who could do so was a world away, of no use to either of them. Even if he had been taught, moreover, Pharazôn was starting to doubt that his son would have benefitted from those teachings. Since he set foot on Middle-Earth, the boy’s sensitivity had been turning, more and more, from a matter of mere inexperience into a matter of defiance. Pharazôn knew how to deal with the defiance of the Faithful, of the Haradrim, of the tribes and kingdoms of Rhûn, but his son’s defiance was proving a harder challenge than all of those put together. To look into the dark well of his eyes, and see there what the heir to the Sceptre of Númenor thought of the deeds of his father and the price of his inheritance made him feel under the constant pressure of a relentless attack. It was as if Amandil had returned; a new, improved Amandil whom Pharazôn could not even banish far from his sight. Worse, an Amandil who could one day have power over Pharazôn’s legacy and destroy it on a whim, as if it had never existed. And perhaps this comparison was no mere coincidence: Gimilzagar, after all, had been hoodwinked by Amandil’s Faithful bastard in Rómenna in the past. Who knew if a clumsy kiss or two was all they had shared? If he ever had proof that they had planted ideas in his son’s head, he would have them and make them beg for death.

All this pent up frustration made him spoil to engage in war; against whom, it did not matter, as long as there was an enemy to be defeated. Gimilzagar could sit back and watch, and when he saw his fellow Númenóreans scream and fall before his eyes, he might even learn that barbarians were not all tame victims who were led away to slaughter for no reason. When he had proof of their double dealings and treacheries, he would grow wary of them, and avoid the insidiousness of their thoughts. The world was not his friend, and no one would repay his compassion with love and loyalty, as in the tales. The only friends he would ever have were those who stood more to gain from his life than from his death; the rest would see an unguarded flank and pounce like a rabid pack of wolves.

This season was the only time in the year where the mountain pass was crossable. Still, the night before they started the climb, they made a generous offering to the Deliverer to make sure that they had his goodwill in this endeavour. Gimilzagar stood by his side, watching the fervorous chanting of the soldiers with wide eyes while the bodies were consumed by the flames. The soldiers belonged body and soul to Melkor, as they belonged body and soul to Pharazôn, because they knew better than to spurn those who protected them and guided them to victory.

As they walked under the mantle of the god, this time there were no furious thunderstorms, no black clouds engulfing them until they could not see the abyss rise before their feet. The mountain tribes, for the most part, hid away in their dens as soon as they heard the clatter and din of the Númenórean army’s advance, only killing two men who, according to the report, had grown separated from their companions and taken a wrong turn. Still, the way was steep, and the nights frozen cold. Dismounting from the horses because the way was too narrow or too dangerous was a common occurrence, and more than a few beasts fell to their deaths or were snatched away by bears. One night, it was the man on guard duty who was snatched away, and at first they did not know if he had been taken by man or beast, until they found his body lying on a ravine, with its innards eaten. Gimilzagar, to his credit, remained mostly impassive through this, walking when he had to walk, stopping whenever they stopped and shivering in silence. His body looked weak, but it was deceptively strong, stronger than his mind at any rate. The first nights, Pharazôn heard him tossing and turning, and he grew concerned that he would fall sick. He gave the boy every blanket that could be spared, but his forehead remained cool, and the circles under his eyes were a mere symptom of sleeplessness.

Pharazôn was a little sleepless those days, himself. Taking this route had awoken remembrances of that fateful campaign twenty years ago, and the choices he had made. Sometimes, he could not help but wonder what would Númenor’s fate have been if he had decided to let those mountains defeat him, if he had not conquered Seria, and all the lands that lay beyond. Perhaps, as Gimilzagar claimed, his reputation as an undefeated general would not have suffered such a terrible hit: after all, the Númenóreans had believed the edge of the world to be near, and even the soldiers who had accompanied him in that expedition would soon have been telling tales about the dark chasms and terrible monsters who closed the way for Men, partly influenced by their own superstitions, partly unwilling to be subject to accusations of cowardice from those they had left behind. Ar Pharazôn the Golden had already claimed the title of greatest of Kings of his line for defeating Mordor, and he would have remained so even if he had not been King of the World. But his pride and determination had not allowed him to think in those terms, and once he realized what truly lay beyond –a different world, just as huge as the one the Númenóreans knew- it was already too late to turn back. So he had done the only thing he could do, go forward, even knowing that he was stretching his might too thin, and that those vast lands would never be truly part of Númenor, receive colonists, or know of its rich civilization and flourishing culture.

Still, once they had been claimed, those new conquests could no longer break away from his empire without bringing great harm upon the Sceptre’s reputation. If they did, more rebellions would soon follow, and a chain of consequences which could shake Númenor to the ground if one of their truly valuable territories was inspired by their example. Even if all the rulers stayed loyal, there was always a neighbour farther away who could threaten their borders, strike a dangerous alliance, or sweep in to take advantage of a power vacuum. At some point, Pharazôn could not help but feel like a prisoner of his own decisions, increasingly unable to find room to manoeuvre. If it had not been for Zigûr’s advice, he did not know how he would have managed this untenable situation. Now, at least, he had a hold on Rhûn, even if it was not the kind of hold that either his ancestors or him would have preferred. Kings cowered in terror of the faraway might of Númenor, sending him abundant tribute of future sacrifices and slaves to keep his good luck running and the fields and mines supplied. Moreover, as all those prisoners belonged to him by right of conquest, the Sceptre had grown immensely wealthy just from selling the surplus to merchants, nobles, and other particulars from every coin of its territory. Much of that wealth had been spent in building new marvels in Númenor and bettering the lives of the colonists, who could conduct their trade unimpeded and grow more prosperous in turn.

He had done the right thing, and made good of a difficult situation. And if Gimilzagar could be bothered to ask anyone, apart from those wretched Baalim-worshippers who licked their wounds in Rómenna, they would surely agree.

Their arrival to North Seria, less than a month after they took leave of their last camp, brought a great commotion to its inhabitants, who had not witnessed the deadly magnificence of the Númenórean host since the Day of the Conquest. Their passage found many villages deserted, as their inhabitants chose to take their most precious belongings and hide in the wilds rather than to risk meeting them. The soldiers took everything they found, but they did not tarry in those places, preferring to go straight for the cities, where the first count of tribute was made before it was sent to the capital. The day they entered the largest of them, they were received with as much reverence as trepidation. Streets were empty, windows closed, and after Pharazôn’s ordered the local authorities to surrender all their reports so he could check if the numbers tallied with the reports that their king sent to Númenor, they rushed to obey without question.

As the scribe translated them to him, under the watchful eye of the Númenórean interpreter, the King noticed that there were several data rectifications in the original manuscript. Interrogated about it, the scribe confessed that the caravans were often raided by “lawless tribes who did not obey the glorious Emperor”, and that they regularly took part of the tribute away. Pharazôn took note of this, and once they had been carefully transcribed into Adûnaic, he took the documents with him.

Meanwhile, Gimilzagar remained in a taciturn mood. His silent presence trailed Pharazôn’s footsteps like a shadow, watching all his dealings with an unreadable expression. He did not even ask anything when his father introduced him as his son instead of “the heir to the Sceptre”, as he was officially known in the lands of the West, though it was the time that he appeared closer to having a reaction.

“The Seres believe me to be immortal” he informed the boy anyway, as they rode South early on the following morning. “According to their legends, I defeated the god who ruled over the Dark Land and wrested immortality from him. I cannot let any talk of heirs jeopardize this useful pretence.”

Gimilzagar nodded, gravely.

“I see. I… suppose it is especially useful when your heir is someone like me.”

Was this his new strategy, to behave like a victim?

“It is indeed convenient, when my only son refuses to accept his duties, and prefers to behave and look like a walking invitation to revolt.”

“Then why don’t you ask Lord Zigûr, Father? He said that he knew the secret of immortality.”

Pharazôn could not believe the boy had grown so bold. He bristled, trying to put out of his mind the complex thoughts and feelings that this particular issue had never failed to arise since he had first heard about it.

“If Zigûr ever makes me immortal, you will have to learn to hold your tongue, as I will no longer have any use for you”, he growled. Gimilzagar flinched, but he did not fall behind as his father had expected. Instead, his forehead curved in a frown, as if he was wrestling with a troubling thought.

“That man, Father. The scribe who was translating the documents to you. He was –lying.”

Pharazôn blinked, distracted from his anger.

“Of course he was lying.” Something occurred to him. “Were you looking inside his mind?”

Gimilzagar hesitated briefly, then nodded.

“And yet you waited until we left before you told me, because you thought I would kill him if you let me know then and there, and you did not want to feel responsible for his death.” He did not know if to remain angry or laugh. “At least you still had enough loyalty in you to let me know at some point. But never mind”, he interrupted the boy before he could protest. “I already knew that, but I am endeavouring to catch bigger fish. I am glad I came this way; I should have done it sooner.”

“Are you… going after their King?” Gimilzagar gasped. Ar Pharazôn shrugged.

“Certain rumours had reached me before I undertook this expedition. Some ludicrous story about the man keeping a part of the tribute for himself so he could conduct his own sacrifices. I was not too bothered by it, for, as you know, without Lord Zigûr’s knowledge and his sacred fire, no sacrifice is worth anything beyond what superstitious belief may attribute to its action. But after taking the Northern route and finding proof in those documents, I have changed my mind. If this is indeed his doing, and not that of his intermediaries, he has grown careless. And if someone in his position feels comfortable enough to deceive the Sceptre in such a way, what else will he feel comfortable doing in the future?”

“So”, Gimilzagar winced, as if endeavouring to understand those dealings was a painful process for him, “those missing people were… sacrificed by their own king? He made them disappear, and then demanded those poor cities to bring him more victims to make up for those who were lost?”

“By their king, by their governor, by a minister. We do not know yet. But someone demanded more victims from those poor cities, and those, no doubt, demanded them from even poorer villages.”

The Prince seemed to mull this over for a while. Pharazôn waited for him to ask the next question, but when it did not come, he galloped ahead with a shrug, calling for a herald to send orders to the commander of the rearguard.

That night, Gimilzagar’s tossing and turning returned again.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Emperor’s son-in-law governed the Northern province from a fortress perched atop a steep hill. He had received notice from his spies that Ar Pharazôn was in his lands, asking inconvenient questions and keeping compromising documents, and his terror was so great at the news that he chose to trust the protection of his stone walls rather than the foreign conqueror’s mercy. Ar Pharazôn was irritated at this delay, an irritation which turned into fury once he was shown the severed head of the messenger he had sent demanding an immediate surrender. It was obvious that the governor of the North believed that his foe could not afford to waste his time on a siege, and that if only he could hold out enough, the Númenórean expedition would just pass him by and head to the capital.

Instead of that, Pharazôn unleashed his troops on the countryside, telling them to destroy everything they found, but to bring every prisoner to him alive. Once that a sizeable amount of them were held in his camp, he seized the neighbouring hill, which could be clearly seen from the fortress, built a great altar, and had them sacrificed. After the last body was given to the flames, he made all the priests and commanders retreat until they were at a distance from the fire, opened one of the vials that Zigûr had made for him before his departure, and dropped it into the flames. At once, the altar turned a sickly green colour, and the smoke rose high, forming a mass of dark cloud in the sky which began moving slowly but inexorably towards the enemy, until it engulfed the entire fortress. As the soldiers watched in awe and sang their prayers to Melkor, the haze began to dissipate, showing deserted ramparts, where the sun did not longer give away the enemy positions by reverberating on the surface of a shield or a helmet. When Pharazôn gave the order to storm the place, they found the grounds strewn with dead people, whose swollen eyes and gaping mouths bore witness to their horrible demise.

They had to go deep into the main building to find living people, most of them coughing blood and choking, as if an invisible presence was pressing their throats with ghostly fingers. The Governor, however, was nowhere to be found among them. He, together with his closest councillors, wives and children, turned out to have been hidden in a subterranean cave under a trapdoor, which had luckily protected them from the worst of the attack. It took the Númenórean soldiers the best part of the day to find them, but once they did they dragged the prisoners before Pharazôn, who sat on the highest chair of the fortress’s council room with a shaking Gimilzagar by his side.

“So you thought you could escape the wrath of the god of the West”, Pharazôn sneered to his interpreter.

The Governor of the North was dressed in even richer attire than the Arnian courtiers. His robe was made of embroidered silk, and precious gems glittered on his brow, but his size was stunted, and he had the sallow skin common to the barbarians from this part of the world. Despite his earlier bravado, he cut a rather poor figure now, trembling and sobbing. He had learned Adûnaic, and used it to blame everyone around him: his councillors for clouding his mind with their treacherous advice, his eldest son for beheading the Númenórean messenger without his knowledge, the Emperor for forcing him to partake in his treason, and the Emperor’s daughter –his main wife, who was staring at him with a look of great hatred and contempt- because her father had sent her to ensure his cooperation in their nefarious plans. Before he was over with his sad story, however, his son interrupted him, claiming that his father was lying and that he had kept the tribute for himself, refusing to send it to the Emperor and imprisoning his wife and loyal sons so they would not be able to denounce him in the capital. His goal all along had been to usurp his father-in-law and perhaps, one day, though the idea was too foolish to even contemplate, defy the Emperor of the World himself.

“Who do you think is telling the truth?” Pharazôn asked Gimilzagar. The young man did not answer. He had not said a word since they set foot on the ghost fortress: his features were livid, and his hands were twitching. “Never mind. We will take them with us to the capital for a family reunion.”

They were led across the stone corridors and the great ramparts, past the dying and the dead, and then through the devastated countryside, where the wind blew the cinders in their faces and made them cough. Soon, their bickering died, and they grew as quiet and unresponsive as Gimilzagar, not offering any resistance when they were chained and put under watch at the back of the van. Meanwhile, the King of Númenor sat down to dictate a letter to the Emperor informing him of what had happened, requesting a new governor for the Northern lands who would be better suited for the requirements of the role, and a new army to serve him in his endeavours. Once this was done, he sent one of the former Governor’s councillors ahead of them to bear the message, escorted by a cohort of his best soldiers.

“This is not how I like to fight my wars”, he explained to his son, as they both retreated to their tent for the night. “It is cowardly and despicable, but they left me no choice when they forced me into a siege. We cannot stay in this province for months without the Emperor hearing about it and covering his tracks, or perhaps even staging a revolt while my hands are tied here.”

“Did Zigûr tell you how to force the souls of those peasants to attack their former lords?” Gimilzagar asked. It was the first words he had spoken in all day, and a part of Pharazôn felt strangely relieved.

“Yes”, he replied. “It is one of the many instances in which Zigûr’s immortal knowledge has come in handy for us.”

“Aren’t you afraid of someone who has such knowledge?”

Ah, there it was. The defiance, again.

“He has the knowledge. I have the means to put that knowledge into practice, Gimilzagar”, he explained. “Judge by yourself who should be worthier of fear.”

The boy shook his head at this, Pharazôn did not know if because he disagreed with his assessment, or because he did not wish to contemplate the question at all. He chose not to ask.

“In any case, I trust you will regain your bearings before we enter the capital city. I could make good use of your insights at the trial”, he said instead, sizing the young man’s pale features with a long look. As he had expected, he detected a hint of trepidation, and more than a hint of refusal, but it was no more than he had expected by this point. He shrugged. “And those who may be innocent in this affair could make good use of them as well.”

Gimilzagar winced, and he knew that he had him at this. He was not good at threatening his son, for even when he did, he remained aware that those threats could be easily recognized as empty. But if Gimilzagar was the sort of person who could be brought to his knees by threats to others, he would be a fool if he did not take advantage of it.

“Yes, Father”, the boy mumbled.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

After a night of tense negotiations, Hazad was sent back to his tribe with a message for their chief. It was a haughtily worded command to vacate all their lands for the benefit of the Númenóreans, while Tal-Elmar remained in their camp as a hostage. After Mogru refused to consider this request and started preparing for war, Hazad went back home to confer with his other sons and gather their supporters, visibly for Mogru’s war, but in truth for his own purposes.

Meanwhile the Númenóreans, too, had to strengthen their defences to protect their position, and prepare for the hostilities. This had Isildur busier than he remembered having been in many years, as he not only had to contend with the preparations, but also with Anárion following him like a shadow and asking him questions about everything.

“Back when I learned to do this, there was never a why, just a sour veteran with a patch in his eye yelling at us to work faster”, he told his brother after a particularly trying morning endeavouring to explain the reasons for the distance they had left between the first palisade and the second.

Anárion ignored him.

“At ebb tide there is not much protection on the side of the ships, unless the enemy is too superstitiously afraid of water to risk taking a bath. After meeting our worthy ally and his son, I find it too much to assume.”

“Of course it is too much to assume. That is why we have archers. Some of them will be on the ships themselves, in case we have to retreat. But as I said, this is not my preferred plan. If you have the right figures, and Hazad is not a traitor, we can take them on their territory.”

“For the last time, Hazad will not betray us. What he stands to gain from this is too much.” His younger brother did not take well to insinuations that his judgement was faulty. “Besides, he knows that, if he does not follow our agreement, we will take his son to Númenor with us, and he will not see him again.”

Isildur’s gaze strayed involuntarily towards the spot where the young barbarian liked to sit, and stare at the ships with a scowl. Malik snorted.

You would like that, wouldn’t you?

“Perhaps that would not be such a bad fate for the boy. He will always be an outcast here, whether his father becomes chieftain of their tribe or not.”

Anárion frowned at him.

“And what is that to us? We have an agreement with his father, the future of our endeavours and perhaps the lives of our men could depend on it, and that is the only thing which should matter at this moment.” Suddenly, his eyes widened in comprehension. “He reminds you of Malik, doesn’t he?”

Aha! He found you out.

“If that is proof of your abilities reading people, perhaps we should be thinking twice about engaging in this battle”, Isildur struck back, a little more savagely than what might have been warranted. His anger, however, was as short-lived as a bolt of lightning, leaving a wistful mood in its wake. “He does not remind me of Malik, Anárion. I am… merely reminded of the fact that Malik was ‘half-barbarian’, as he always used to say. Did you know that once, during the siege of Pelargir, we attended Father’s interview with the enemy commander, and he was a half-breed, just like Malik? When he figured out his identity, he addressed him directly and tried to convince him to join Sauron’s army and be an outcast no longer. Malik was more upset than I’d ever seen him.” When he started speaking, he had not expected so much to come out, but Anárion seemed too surprised to make any retorts, and this encouraged him to continue. “He never had any reason to feel like an outcast, with his family living under our protection, not to mention those villagers feeling so thankful to his father for saving them from the priests of the Forbidden Bay. But that day, it dawned upon me that, if his fate had been any different, he could have been a bitter man, fighting for Sauron to destroy those that made him like this. And then we would have met on the battlefield as enemies.”

“You would not! If Grandfather had not brought his father to Númenor with him, Malik would never have been born. And no one born in the Andustar would ever fight for Sauron. Well –not in those days, at any rate.” Anárion shook his head. “You think too much, Isildur, but your thoughts make little sense.”

Your thoughts do make sense, you are just terrible at putting them in words.

“Then perhaps it is time for you to stop trying to understand them and focus on what is to be done”, Isildur answered, in a sharp tone. Anárion acquiesced, perhaps with some relief, and they went back to work as if the conversation had never happened.

Only now and then, Isildur believed he could see his brother looking at him in a curious way, as if trying to gauge something. And when the shadows lengthened, and Tal-Elmar abandoned his vantage point to go directly to Isildur and ask for food, ignoring everyone else, he thought he could see his brow crease in a frown yet again.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The next morning was the last day allotted to Mogru to answer their requirement. He sent another of Hazad’s sons, a burly, frowning tribesman whose life could obviously be spared, to spit on their words and declare war on them. Tar-Elmar acted as interpreter, and after he finished with Mogru’s message, he went on to translate a second message from Hazad, who informed Isildur and Anárion that the warriors of Agar planned to ambush them in the forest as soon as they marched on their territory. Mogru had claimed before the assembly that Hazad could not be trusted to hold his position since his son was a hostage of the Númenóreans, so the plan was to bring Mogru news that Tal-Elmar had been killed. After some deliberation, the young man suddenly took Isildur’s knife and cut his hair, held it over the flames until it caught fire, stepped on it and then gave it to his brother, who stared at him in horror and disgust. Apparently, there was nothing so dishonourable for a man of their tribe as parting with their hair, which was almost as terrible as death for them. But Tal-Elmar had been regarded as a freak of nature even before this, which might explain why he was not as worried about his appearance as the others were.

“Now, Hazad uBuldar have big funeral. He claim right to revenge. As Hazad uBuldar knows paths through forest where his clan posted, he send secret message and let you know. He let you pass and you go to village where you take Elders hostage.” An elder was a kind of priest, who remained sequestered in a sacred enclosure taking care of some sort of relic which determined the tribe’s fortunes, as far as Isildur and Anárion had been able to gather. Even in an all-out war like this one, they would never be left unprotected, so they would have to fight some of their best warriors before they reached them.

What worried Isildur now, however, was something entirely different. His chief concern had always been the war, but these latest developments had made him start to consider the aftermath as well.

“Our plan is to leave Hazad in charge and establish an alliance with him and his people” he said to Anárion in private, while they left the brothers to argue across the fire. The elder’s tone was scathing, and Isildur could imagine he was shaming Tal-Elmar for thinking so little of his hair, despite the fact that his gesture would help them all in their endeavours. “But after a betrayal like this, do you think the tribe will ever accept him as their leader?”

“I had already considered this”, Anárion nodded, in a serious voice. Of course he had. “But the fact remains that we cannot do this without his aid. If we had not struck this deal with him, we would have marched into an unknown forest without help or guide, and many of us would have died. Perhaps you would have welcomed the greater danger, but these people have families in the Island, and I assume they want to see them again.”

This angered Isildur.

“Know that I do think of the lives of others, and that I do not go to war without resources or plans.” Before he embarked on that suicide mission which had changed everything, many men had owed him his lives. “I would never have walked blindly into this people’s forest with others under my command.”

Anárion extended both hands in a placating gesture.

“You are right, and I am sorry. But Hazad is a good resource. He is full of resentment for his enemy, and he is clever. Once we have what we came for, we can re-evaluate our strategy. As soon as we can manage to bring some more soldiers and colonists, and build a proper fortification, we will not have to support him any longer. In fact, the more they fight among themselves, the weaker they will be, and the stronger that will make us.”

We are from the house of Andúnië, Tal Elmar uHazad, Isildur remembered his words to the young man, the night he stepped outside the tent to find him sitting there. We are not like the other Númenóreans your people has met. If you keep your word, we will keep ours. And then, even in a farthest recess of his mind, he remembered the day he had argued with Anárion and accused him of being idealistic. He wanted to laugh.

Then laugh. It is funny, if you think about it.

“We will keep our word, or soon we will become hated by all, as the Númenóreans of the Middle Havens, Umbar, and wherever else the people of the Island have set foot before. And then we will not find a moment of peace in this land.”

He had fully expected Anárion to argue, but instead of that, he shrugged.

“Then, I will inform you that, according to Hazad, Mogru took power from his clan through treachery, and people followed him, so they will do the same when he prevails. Also according to him, despite our Númenórean misconceptions, most of the people in his tribe are no fighters, but labourers, and have no deep loyalties except to follow whoever is in charge. As long as we do not burn their houses, fell their trees, rape their women or take their children to be sacrificed beyond the Sea, they will be no worse than they were under Mogru.” He looked in the direction of the brothers again; they had finally grown silent, but they were still glaring daggers at each other. “I took all this information with a grain of salt, as he was arguing his own case. But if it is true, we will have nothing to worry about. And if it is not, perhaps you are right, and knowing that we are serious about waging war to protect our puppet rulers will make us widely respected in this region.”

 “At least it will make us respected among puppet rulers. Which, I can assure you from my experience in Arne, is no mean feat”, Isildur retorted, turning away from him and heading back to the campfire to join their guests.

The Númenórean Empire III

Extra warning in this chapter for violence and gore.

 

Read The Númenórean Empire III

The capital of the kingdom of the Seres was farther away than Gimilzagar could have imagined. They had to ride for weeks, until the pain of his saddle sores faded into a dull discomfort, and as they progressed across that strange country, the landscape began changing dramatically before his eyes. The North had been a mountainous region: wherever one looked, white-crowned peaks always loomed ahead, dwarfing mortal men with their majestic height. Cities lay ensconced in deep valleys, where they were protected from the cutting winds which nipped all growth in the bud and froze the water springs in winter. Villages, on the other hand, were miserable places, no more than a few straw huts protected by flimsy enclosures of piled stone from the raids of the wild mountain tribes. The roads between settlements were often excavated in the rock itself, and they were narrow and dangerous except for the one that led to the capital, used to drive the tribute bound for the West once a year. That was the road taken by the Númenórean host, and after it left the mountains behind, they followed it through a flat plain full of crops of several kinds, cleaved in two by a river which must have been much wider before a net of channels was excavated to irrigate the surrounding land. It reminded Gimilzagar a little of the Númenórean works of engineering in the south of Harad, though there the problem had been much more complex, as the only water at their disposition was rainwater and, on draught years, fresh water which the Sceptre had to bring from the Anduin in ships. Here, the land and the elements were much kinder, and the kingdom must have been greatly prosperous before the Númenóreans came.

Ar Pharazôn the Golden had only sent the message for the Emperor a couple of days ahead of his own advance, but as they rode South, everyone seemed to have received notice of what had transpired in the Northern lands. When they passed through the fields, they could see no one working them, even though the ears of the unknown plants they cultivated appeared ripe and full of grain to Gimilzagar’s untrained eye. The soldiers obviously thought the same, for they grabbed as many as they could without stopping their march. As for the cities, which in this part of the country were generally walled and perched atop the few hills standing above the average level of the terrain, none of them dared refuse entry to the King of Númenor. But when the gates were opened so they could ride in, Gimilzagar’s attempts to catch a glimpse of the local life proved of no more avail than his attempts to find people in the villages they crossed. Shops were closed, doors barred, and windows shut. Every street seemed to be empty of curious bystanders and passers-by, who must have run in fear to their houses as soon as the foreign standards appeared in the horizon. The people of this land hid from them, as if they believed the Islanders to be Orcs, there to slaughter them and snatch their children away.

And they were right, the disheartening thought immediately emerged in his mind. The lands of the West owed their civilization to centuries of Númenórean dominion, and even if this dominion had become more brutal now than it had been in the past, there was still something to be had in exchange, or so his father had endeavoured to show him while they were in Harad. But here, they had brought nothing but terror, and a tributary system that slowly bled those lands of their people or forced them to go to war elsewhere to protect their own lives. One of the most disquieting sights, which he needed a while to process, was the absence of beggars, who were such a familiar sight in every Númenórean city that people took them for granted. They had probably died first, Gimilzagar thought with a shiver. Either this, or they had been sent to till the fields in lands where too many villagers had succumbed to raids – or to forceful requirements of tribute sent from the cities themselves. He still remembered some of the stories he had learned and the visions he had dreamed, back in the ashen plain before Mordor.

Once, Gimilzagar had heard of a theory –one which his tutor had pronounced ludicrous, as it gainsaid the lore of the Four Great Temples- about the origin of the Orcs, which claimed that they had been Men from the past, twisted by an evil influence or just by their own savagery. As he thought about it now, he wondered if perhaps what Lord Zigûr intended was to turn the Númenóreans into Orcs, who did his bidding like his minions back in Mordor, destroying and sacking other peoples. Father had tried to reassure him, telling him that he, not Zigûr, remained in control of his kingdom and his men, but Gimilzagar had not breathed any easier for it. For if Ar Pharazôn truly saw through Zigûr, why on Earth would he listen to him?

In every city where they stopped, the King of Númenor always brought his interpreters and demanded to see all official documents, where every detail about the delivery of tribute had been registered. As far as Gimilzagar could tell from what his father would mention in front of him, however, there were no further irregularities to be found. Each of those documents was more fuel added to the fire of the sacrificial altar where the man who walked behind them in chains would pay for his crimes. Gimilzagar would not have needed to read anything to know this, for he had seen his guilt as soon as the Governor stood before him in the council room of that ghost fortress. After Mordor, something had given way in Gimilzagar’s mind, as if a blinder had been pulled from his eyes, and as much as he had struggled to stop the process, afraid by all those twisted, tortured thoughts that he was suddenly able to perceive, Mother was not here to help him make everything better. There was only Father, but when Gimilzagar grew desperate enough as to broach the subject in his presence, Ar Pharazôn had immediately seen it as an opportunity, and started pressuring his son to put those “gifts” at his service in this affair.

Gimilzagar knew that he was being foolish. There was no way in which he could be held responsible for the fate of that governor or his accomplices, and no reason why he should care for the lives of people who had lied and schemed and been responsible for the death of so many others. But he had been threatened with a knife once, seen the hatred and contempt in the eyes of his attackers directed against him, and heard Fíriel’s screams as she was hurt for his sake. And still, the day he was forced to watch as those three were sacrificed and burned in the altar, his horror at their end had erased all this from his mind, leaving nothing but the wish to save them if he could. Not that it had made any difference: they had attacked him because they believed him to be a monster, and his father had proved them right. Now, he could not help but think that those powers would turn him even more into the abomination he had never wanted to be, an unnatural creature destined to be despised and feared by all. Even Fíriel, if she did not do so already, would hate him if she could see what he was turning into. For the first time since the day of their farewell, he did not feel sad, but happy that she was gone.

The capital was a great, sprawling city, almost as populated as Armenelos. Unlike the Númenórean capital, however, it boasted of only one hill, where the king’s palace had been built. Its slopes were mostly covered with greenery from his private gardens, but there were at least three circles of fortified walls visible from the distance, protecting his abode and his court from unwelcome visitors. This must have availed his dynasty for centuries, before the God of the West arrived with his huge army of living soldiers and his power to recruit the souls of the dead to further his cause. Despite the fact that everyone here must also have received notice of what had happened in the North, Ar Pharazôn found the gates of the city open, and a procession of kneeling courtiers humbly welcoming him to the seat of power of the greatest of his Eastern dominions.

To Gimilzagar’s slight surprise, the King of Númenor was rather courteous, telling them that his army would remain outside the city’s walls, and that they would not set foot inside as long as his requirements for provisions were promptly met. They set camp on a large plain by the riverside, where wooden barracks and walled enclosures had been erected for the purpose of keeping and counting the tribute until it was ready to be sent West. Once that the work to erect the royal tent was underway, Ar Pharazôn sent notice that he would accept the Emperor’s invitation to visit him in his palace. Gimilzagar’s surprise increased, and when he saw his father heading towards the gate in his ceremonial armour, surrounded by an entourage of scarcely a hundred men, his unease became so great that he rushed towards them on foot.

“What are you doing, Father?” he asked, his heart beating hard in his chest. “That man knows that you have brought his relatives with you, and that you are here to investigate his actions. How can you enter his dominions so unprotected? He could entrap you, do anything to you while you are there!”

Ar Pharazôn stared back at him, unfazed.

“Because that is what an immortal god does, Gimilzagar. He does not care for assassination plots or for attempts on his life, for he cannot die.”

“But…” The Prince of the West could not believe his ears. “But you are not immortal, Father!”

“And the day I fear for my life, they will know, and then the largest army in the world won’t be able to ensure my safety. Or yours”, the King replied. Then, his gaze softened a little, and he laid a hand on his son’s shoulder. “Do not worry, Gimilzagar. I may not be immortal, but Lord Zigûr has made me at least invulnerable to the most cowardly attempts to kill me. And the man I am going to meet is a coward, a superstitious coward who does not want to leave his Palace for fear of having an ox cross him on the left side. That is why I chose him for the Sceptre.”

Gimilzagar was not wholly reassured by this. People who were afraid could lash back, like animals when they were cornered. And what if one of his kinsmen or advisors decided to act on his own? His father, however, would not listen to any of his fears, and when some mad instinct he would never have believed himself capable of harbouring prompted Gimilzagar to say that he would go with him, he laughed and rejected his offer.

As he saw the King of Númenor recede in the distance, the Prince was amazed at the anguish that tore at his insides and oppressed his chest. In spite of everything which had happened, of all the horrors he had seen, he was still afraid at the idea that his father might die. For if he did, Gimilzagar would be left in charge of an army in the middle of hostile territory, with no idea of where to go, or what to do in order to survive. Ar Pharazôn had been his protector, his only fixture, like a strong bulwark keeping everything from falling apart around him. While he was there, the Prince’s thoughts had concentrated on all the reasons that made his presence unbearable, but with him gone, he realized that his absence would be an even more terrifying prospect.

Yes, that will be your world after I am gone, he could almost imagine the King telling him, if he had put that thought into words. Enjoy the day when it arrives, my wayward son.

The wait was agonizing, made even longer by Gimilzagar’s inability to sleep, eat, or even think of anything else while it lasted. Dark musings gathered in his mind again, and he wondered if his newfound powers would make him able to feel his father die in the distance. If he did, would his soul become twisted by the need for revenge? Would he find it in himself to order cruel deeds which not even his own narrow escape had made him wish to do? Or would he remain the same pitiful coward he had always been, powerless to do anything as the oldest generals seized command of the army and threw him out to the wolves, a useless prop after the man who had unsuccessfully tried to raise him to be his heir was no more?

It was already late in the night when he heard shouts, and the neighing of horses. Like a resort, he jumped from the bed where he had been lying listlessly, and ran out of the tent. There were many men there, chattering and dismounting, and at first he could not distinguish anything amid the clatter and din that they made. But when he suddenly caught a glimpse of Ar Pharazôn in his white horse, he choked a sob, and such was his emotion that he needed a long while to recover his composure enough to approach him.

“You are back”, were the first words that came through his lips. The King finished laughing at some joke that a general had told him, and turned towards him, the mirth still in his eyes. When they fell upon Gimilzagar’s expression, they widened slightly.

“Of course I am back. Did you truly think that my fate was to die here, victim of a fool’s intrigues?” As the surprise was over, its place was taken by another emotion, which was not anger or exasperation at his son’s foolishness –despite his words- but a warmer one, almost as if he was feeling pleased. Again, Gimilzagar wanted to hate him, but the renewed awareness that his life depended on the object of this hatred made that emotion hollow. “You should go and rest now, and get a grip on those undignified fears. Tomorrow will be a great day, for the Emperor will be returning my visit.”

“Is he coming here?” Gimilzagar exclaimed, incredulously. If he had been the ruler of Seria, he would have crawled through the sewers before he willingly walked into the wolf’s den. Perhaps Lord Zigûr had also taught his father how to charm his victims into trusting his word. Or perhaps the man had nowhere to go, and was just too frightened of his subjects being slaughtered and their souls used to destroy him. He might feel comfortable in the knowledge of his innocence, or his usefulness as a puppet for the Númenóreans. And perhaps he was right, for what would Gimilzagar know? He had seen his father behave differently everywhere they had been, and here he had adopted a mantle of friendly politeness, as if the ruler of the kingdom he had despoiled was an esteemed vassal who was owed respect.

This charade was effectively kept throughout the greater part of the following day. The Emperor arrived at midday, riding a palanquin like those Gimilzagar had used back in Númenor, before he was judged too much of a man to keep using them. Apparently, barbarians did not share those compunctions, and even considered such contraptions to be more exalted and honourable than horses. As soon as he came in sight of Ar Pharazôn the Golden, however, he was helped by his courtiers to set foot on the ground, whereupon he walked slowly across the remaining distance before falling on his knees and prostrating himself before the God of the West. The King told him to rise, and invited him to his own tent together with his highest-ranking companions, who followed in meek silence. Gimilzagar wondered at their outfits: they all wore ample tunics of very delicate fabric, embroidered and bejewelled like that of the Northern Governor, save for their king alone, who was dressed in plain white like the priests of Melkor. Perhaps it was one of the strange customs of a strange land, or perhaps he had simply thought that dressing plainly would speak in his favour.

Whatever it was, no one made reference to it, and while they shared food and drink across the table the conversation remained subdued but amiable. The only outward sign that not everything was as it seemed was the way the Emperor’s body tensed slightly when Ar Pharazôn addressed him, and how he would rush to reply to the most innocent of queries in his accented Adûnaic, as if his life depended on the speed of his answer. He did not ask any questions of his own, even though his mind was brimming with them as far as Gimilzagar could perceive, and some were so pressing that it was sheer agony to keep them hidden in his chest. One of those questions concerned the Prince himself, whose identity he was left to guess as the meal progressed, for Ar Pharazôn said no word about him.

After the spiced wine, which they had brought all the way from Umbar, was passed among the guests for the toasts, the King finally deigned to introduce Gimilzagar.

“This is the Prince Gimilzagar, my son, whom I have brought from the land beyond the Sea. Since he was a child, he has been fed with the souls of the enemies of Númenor, and this has endowed him with considerable powers, the most useful of which is the ability to enter the minds of people to see if they are lying or speaking the truth.” The cup slipped from the Emperor’s hand, and wine stained the tablecloth. There were many apologies, followed by as many assurances that it had just been an accident, not worth making a fuss about, but the next time the man looked in his direction, Gimilzagar saw the newfound fear in his eyes.

Abomination. He had been called that so often in the West, that being called the same thing in the East should be of no consequence to him. After all, he was used to it, or so his father must have thought.

This introduction was taken as the cue for the prisoners from the North to be ushered in. As they came in through the tent’s back entrance, led by soldiers, a visible turmoil travelled across the dining table. So far, the Emperor and his courtiers had been treated as guests, and endeavoured to show courtesy in exchange for hospitality, despite the hidden currents of anxiety that ran underneath. Now, the pretence was finally over at the sight of those high personalities from their own number, whom they had all been personally acquainted with, being led in chains, in such a pitiful state that even Gimilzagar, who had seen them daily, was struck by the contrast between the luxury of their table and the misery of the captives. They had been driven in a relentless march from their distant home, until their fancy clothes had turned into rags that barely covered their shaking limbs, and their flimsy shoes were ruined, leaving the soles of their feet bleeding raw. When they were disposed in two lines –one for the Governor’s family and another for his courtiers- and made to kneel before them, the rattle of the chains was the only sound that could be heard in the whole tent.

“As you can see, there is a spot of unpleasant business to be dealt with before we can continue to enjoy the benefits of our mutual hospitality”, Ar Pharazôn said, as if he was talking about the dessert wine having turned out to be spoiled. “As I passed through the North, certain irregularities were brought to my attention. When I tried to pay a visit to the person apparently responsible for them, he closed his gates against me, and killed my envoy. A Númenórean envoy, one of the most esteemed captains of my army. I would have concluded the affair then and there, for I saw no reason to bother you with it, but this wretch uttered very serious accusations against your person when I interrogated him. Will you repeat them now, or have you thought better since then?”

The prisoner flinched when he was addressed, and for a moment Gimilzagar thought he would think better about it, and retract his accusations. But he had misjudged the Governor, whose persistence appeared to have remained unquenched by all the pain and discomfort he had experienced – and who had very little left to lose.

“I stand by what I said back then, because it is the truth, Divine One”, he said in a hoarse voice, with a furious, defiant glance at the man who sat next to Ar Pharazôn. “The Emperor, his daughter and my eldest son hatched a conspiracy. They are trying to become gods by stealing souls from the tribute that is to be sent to the West. I tried to denounce them, to warn others about the crimes that were taking place under my nose, and would inevitably bring upon us the just wrath of the god that walks on Earth, but I was not heeded. Worse, I became a prisoner in my own fortress!”

“That is a lie!”, his son, who seemed to have inherited his determination if nothing else, intervened before he had even closed his mouth. He was naked from the waist up, and Gimilzagar realized that he had given his tunic to his mother. “He was the one who hatched the conspiracy, and he kept us prisoner, hostages so Grandfather would not be able to retaliate against him!”

At that point, the woman started talking as well, but in her own tongue, which most of the Númenóreans could not understand. Her husband tried to silence her while the courtiers, secondary wives, sons and advisors behind them began arguing too, taking the side of one or the other. The courtiers sitting on the table were also beginning to stir, when Ar Pharazôn rose.

“What does the Emperor of Seria have to say about this?”

The man gazed down, as if trying to concentrate on the tips of his fingers over his lap. Gimilzagar knew that he was not trying to flee his father’s gaze, but his, and this knowledge made him terribly self-conscious.

“Well?”

Suddenly, the Emperor stood from his seat, gave some tentative steps towards the rows of kneeling prisoners, and fell to his knees as if he was one of them.

“Forgive me, o Divine One. I have been unworthy of your mercy by my cowardice and my inaction. This man, whom I honoured by appointing him Governor and married to my most beloved daughter, betrayed my confidence and committed treason against you. But I was weak, a doting father and grandfather, and did not dare risk the lives of my loved ones.” He pressed his forehead against the ground, trembling and shaking. “Please, forgive me. Please.”

As soon as they saw him kneel, all the courtiers that were sitting promptly stood up and imitated their king, falling to their knees and causing so much ruckus that Gimilzagar was barely able to hear anything, even what was being said in his language. But his father chose that moment to turn in his direction, and silence fell upon the crowd.

“We will see. The Prince Gimilzagar is here to tell if you are innocent or guilty. You cannot deceive him, or hide anything from him, for he can read your innermost thoughts.”

He quaked inside, taken by an instinctive disgust at the very thought of playing the role that had been set for him. But if he did not, there was no telling of what his father might do to retaliate, and Gimilzagar did not want to find out.

“The Governor is guilty” he said. His voice rang so loudly across the room that it almost frightened him. “The Governor is guilty” he repeated, in a lower tone. For a moment, he wondered if he could leave it at this, if he would be able to get away with not revealing anything else of what he could read in those minds despite their frantic efforts to become invisible to his eyes. After all, his father did not share in his gift, and he had no way of knowing what Gimilzagar had seen. If only…

“You astound me, Gimilzagar.” Ar Pharazôn’s gaze narrowed, and his voice was so low that no one but the Prince was able to hear it over the wretched man’s protestations of innocence. “I know that you are soft-hearted, but to the point of sheltering criminals who have committed treason against the Sceptre and harmed their own people? Do you think I will simply humour you, and let them go back to their plotting as soon as my back is turned?”

Gimilzagar looked down, cursing himself for his stupidity. Ar Pharazôn the Golden may not be able to read minds, but he was able to read his son’s turmoil like an open book.

“I…”

“I will not, Gimilzagar. If you do not tell me the truth, I will kill them all, and let the Great Deliverer judge who was innocent and who was guilty.”

The Prince swallowed. Abomination, the peasant Zebedin spat at him, before he was led away towards the fire. Abomination, Fíriel whispered, her eyes filled with disgust.

Abomination, the courtiers who knelt in this tent would call him, as they told the story to their children, and their children’s children.

“The Governor is guilty”, he said again in an even lower voice, almost a whisper. “So is his wife, and his eldest son. When you stormed into their fortress, they turned against each other in a desperate attempt to survive. The Governor brought the Emperor into this business because he knew of those rumours about him, and thought that you would find his version more believable. And the son would see his own father torn to pieces before he let any harm come to his mother.”

Pharazôn nodded, gravely.

“I see. You did the right thing, Gimilzagar.”

The Prince did not acknowledge his praise. Instead, he turned away from his father, his soldiers and the pitiful spectacle of the kneeling people, and walked away from the tent.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

But it was not so easy to escape his role in the affair as it had been to leave that tent. The following day, Gimilzagar was made to oversee the preparations for the sacrifice of those guilty of treason against the Númenórean and the Serian Sceptre, including the installation of the seats of honour from where the Serian Court and its Emperor would be invited to watch the King of Númenor himself performing the true rites for their edification. To the Prince’s surprise, the Emperor was quite successful at keeping his composure before such a terrible prospect. Perhaps he was even relieved, for he had come out alive and unscathed in spite of everything, and the Númenórean Sceptre had never been known to those people as having a penchant for mercy. As for his son-in-law, his daughter and his grandson, he seemed to have believed the news about their guilt, and if he harboured any doubts about Gimilzagar’s abilities, he had known better than to express them aloud. Still, whenever they had to exchange words, he acted so polite and obsequious that the Prince knew he was trying desperately to hide the fear and hatred that wrestled each other inside his mind, as if his external behaviour could somehow efface his inner feelings. Those emotions were familiar to Gimilzagar, for they were what he had often perceived in the minds of others when they were confronted by his father. Now, they were directed towards him.

“You will assist me”, Ar Pharazôn told him on the very morning of the ceremony. The smell of smoke and burned wood was strong throughout the encampment, for the priests had been busy building the fire and feeding it since long before the sun emerged from the horizon. Gimilzagar stared at his father, uncomprehending.

“Yes, Gimilzagar. You are beginning to learn what it means to face your responsibilities as a ruler, and to work with me for the sake of Númenor. But there is still a long way left to walk, and the sooner you walk it, the better it will be for all of us, including yourself. If you accept your place as my heir, your life will no longer depend on my wellbeing. If one day I do not come back, you will be able to step forward to take my place and keep everything together.” So he had been able to read Gimilzagar that other night, too. He had no trace of his and his mother’s abilities, and still Gimilzagar remained helpless against him. “Now, I want you to climb the stairs of the altar by my side and assist me in my endeavours. That will earn you the loyalty of the soldiers and the fear of your enemies. Though after what you did yesterday, you might not find that too difficult.”

Gimilzagar swallowed. Ar Pharazôn’s tone was one of pride, as if his son had finally managed to do something that was not a source of disappointment or anger for him, but he had never felt so far away from a worthy recipient of praise than he did now.

“I have told your aides to adjust a purple cloak for you. You will be dressed in the King’s colour, Gimilzagar. I hope you wear it with the required dignity.”

It was the first time that his father acknowledged him as his heir since they were in Rhûn. Even before that, though he had received the official title of heir to the Sceptre when he was born, Gimilzagar had never dressed in purple, or been associated to the King in a public ceremony. Though the natives would not grasp the meaning of Númenórean symbols, the soldiers surely would, which meant that, from then on, Gimilzagar would come to be held in the same consideration as the King in their eyes. They would no longer judge him, criticise his actions, or refuse to obey him if his father were to fall. And if he was threatened, they would all die before allowing any harm to come to him.

“I will, my lord King”, he declared, aware that any other response would not be acceptable.

Still, when the time came to step away from the circle of watchers, Númenóreans who sang to the Great Deliverer with great fervour in their eyes and barbarians who listened to them in quiet terror, the Prince of the West felt his heart sink. The flames were already blazing high, and the heat they exuded suffocated him and made his skin throb even from a distance, though it did not seem to affect his father or the priests who surrounded them, clad in their robes of pure white.

To climb the steps of the altar was the first ordeal he had to withstand. At some point, Gimilzagar became so single-mindedly bent on withstanding the great discomfort that he could not see anything around him, whether it was the eyes gazing at him with reverence, fear or curious anticipation, or the moving shapes of the priests who led the chant, brought utensils to the King or purified the surface of the altar. When one of them knelt before him, he needed to be addressed twice before he noticed that he was being presented with a long and sharp sacrificial blade. Shocked, he stared at it in uncomprehending silence, until he realized that he was supposed to take it and give it to his father. He let go of it as fast as if he had been holding a burning log from the sacred fire with his bare hands.

“Do not look away”, Ar Pharazôn hissed, in a voice that only he could hear. “Everybody is watching.”

The admonishment came at the right moment, for just then the crowd stirred in an undefinable mixture of anticipation and consternation, and Gimilzagar saw that the Governor was being led towards the altar by two priests. For some reason, they had taken the rags away, washed him and dressed him in all the finery of his former office. Perhaps Melkor would not appreciate the offering if it was not presented in a proper way – or perhaps it was just part of the reminder to all the barbarian dignitaries in attendance that anyone who offended the divine Emperor of the West would meet the same end, no matter how high and mighty they were.

The chanting grew in intensity as the wretched man was made to climb the steps towards the altar, covering his cries and struggles. Though his Adûnaic was broken, and made worse by the turmoil in his mind, Gimilzagar gathered that he was pleading, trying to convince them that he had been wrongfully accused.

“My son says that you are guilty, and he does not make mistakes”, Pharazôn answered, simply.

The Governor’s words turned into a yell of terror, the moment the knife touched his chest to cut the heavy silks of his ceremonial robes. He flinched in such a violent way that the blade cut into his skin. Drops of blood fell on the precious embroideries, staining them, and for some reason, their sight seemed to take the fight out of him. Instead, he began to sob quietly, which was the moment that Gimilzagar’s father chose to bury the knife to the hilt in the exposed chest. The Prince heard a laboured gasp, but he focused his gaze on the man’s twitching feet, a compromise he found between watching the butchery as his father intended him to and his need to look away. While he did so, he could feel his thoughts, agitated beyond comprehension by his impending end, crash into a red wall of pain and fade away abruptly. Unable to help himself, he groaned, reeling from the impact, and if a bloodstained hand had not steadied him, he would have fallen.

“Be careful”, his father admonished. One of the priests was collecting the blood from the wound, as diligently as if he had been gathering water from a fountain. Once the red liquid was tipped into the fire with the accustomed prayer, the entire corpse followed suit. The flames made short work of it, though the smoke, as Gimilzagar knew now very well, would linger on in the air, in their clothes, in their hair and everywhere they would go afterwards. No matter how many times he washed himself, or tried to breathe fresh air, human flesh would be all he would be able to smell or taste for days.

He had still not recovered from the first when the priests were already bringing in other victims: first, the guilty advisors, and then the Princess herself, also dressed in her best finery like her husband. Gimilzagar could not prevent himself from gazing in her father’s direction, and again, he was shocked at the contrast between his composure and the thoughts and feelings underneath. At a certain moment, their eyes met, and Gimilzagar could feel him grow rigid and immediately look down, afraid that he had betrayed something before the monster who read minds, perhaps something bad enough to have him dragged upstairs after his daughter.

The woman, however, had a much more dignified end than any of the men who had preceded her. She did not need to be hauled over the altar, for she lay on it herself, refusing to let the foreign demons see her weakness. Still, as Ar Pharazôn approached her, she addressed a formal plea to him, one which the King could not understand, as the words were not spoken in Adûnaic.

“She asks you not to show her body in public, Father”, Gimilzagar explained, not even certain of how he knew this. Ar Pharazôn shrugged.

“Very well”, he nodded. Gimilzagar felt her relief shine clear and bright against his mind.

“She is grateful.”

The sacrificial knife made a red line across her throat, and blood trickled away in droves, so much that the priest could not contain it in the basin without it spilling in many directions. In contrast, her dying thoughts were rather orderly, and Gimilzagar could not help being impressed by her bravery. But there was no time for such thoughts up there: while he was still marvelling at the modesty with which she had arranged all her clothes so no one would even guess at the shape of her limbs, both the dead body and its covering were thrown into the fire, and then they were no more.

There was only one victim left now: their son, who had tried to protect his mother until the last moment. When they brought the young man upstairs, Gimilzagar was floored by the intensity of his thoughts. He had seen her die with his own eyes, and now he no longer cared about anything else. His hatred was stronger, purer than anything Gimilzagar had ever seen; next to it, the peasants of the Andustar had been mere children at play. As their gazes met, the Prince could see a deep yearning to wrestle the knife away from Ar Pharazôn’s hand, grab Gimilzagar by the neck, throw him against the surface of the altar and gut him. If only he could do this, he would gladly suffer the most ignoble of deaths afterwards.

I am the one in control, Gimilzagar tried to tell himself, even as his body began to shake in fear at the threat. I am standing here, dressed in the purple, at the King’s side. He has been brought here to die. But he could not prevent himself from seeing the vivid images: the blade drawing red lines in his exposed body, the unendurable pain, the gasps of agony as he tried to call for help but it was already too late. And then he was him, his aggressor, and he was feeling happy, so very happy to see Gimilzagar suffer and die because he deserved it more than anyone had ever deserved anything.

“Gimilzagar” a voice called him from behind the haze. “Gimilzagar!”

“I- I am s-sorry, m-my lord K-king” he stammered, trying to return to his normal self. His eyes focused, and he could distinguish an object right in front of his eyes. The sacrificial blade.

Gimilzagar stared, unable to comprehend what this was about. Had his father decided not to kill this young man? Had the ceremony ended?

“It is your turn” Ar Pharazôn said then, and the truth emerged in all its horror. The King wanted Gimilzagar to do the killing. Gimilzagar, who had never even been able to crush a fly before.

Gimilzagar, who was so lost in the thoughts of someone else that every fibre of his being yearned to grab that knife and sink it on the flesh of his enemy.

The hilt was gilded and cold to the touch, and he shuddered when he touched it. Ar Pharazôn was watching him attentively, perhaps mistaking his turmoil for mere rejection and disgust for the task he had been assigned. Gimilzagar could feel that fear and that rejection twisting his innards, but he also felt an instinct for murder seizing him. He saw images of a twisted creature of evil, an ungainly, wretched being with eyes as black as the pit of Eternal Darkness. This creature trailed the footsteps of its master, who had bred it through dark rites only to bring ruin upon others. It scrutinized minds in search of the best kept secrets, those that their owners would rather die than reveal, forcing them to betray themselves and those who had laid their trust in them. He did not care for the most sacred bonds of obligation, of bravery or loyalty, but how could it? It had no soul, they said, which is why it needed to absorb the souls of others so it could keep walking and breathing. Killing it, even if it was the last thing he ever did, would rid the world of a great evil. It would be a very praiseworthy deed, and he could not let himself be touched by pity at the sight of it writhing away and cowering as if it was a real person, because it was not.

The train of thought died abruptly, in an explosion of pain. He blinked, and beneath the haze of his eyes he saw blood on his clothes, on his hands, on the knife which was buried almost to the hilt in the body of another. It had died at last, was his first thought. He had killed it, but then he saw the face of the dead man, and he realized that he had killed himself. His throat choked a scream.

“Gimilzagar” a voice spoke behind him. “Gimilzagar, you can step back now.”

Gimilzagar. Who was Gimilzagar? The body was dragged away as he stood there, uncomprehending, and two white-clad men threw it into the fire. He flinched as he saw the Emperor of the West himself approaching him, but he only seemed to be giving instructions to someone, and then a hand was pressing his arm, steering him towards some unknown direction. His own hands were pale and twitching, blue veins visible under the skin wherever the blood had not stained them. At first, he could not believe it, fought it as if it was a hallucination which the fiends of the West had put in his mind to subdue him. But when it finally dawned in his mind, he was floored by the realization.

He was it. He was the evil creature with no soul who had caused his mother’s death.

When the screaming started, Gimilzagar was already halfway through the deserted camp, and no one could hear him. The priests led him into a tent, where he was coaxed into a bed with pleasant words and entreaties. Someone pressed a cup against his lips, begging him to open them, to swallow it because it would make everything much better.

Gimilzagar drank it, wishing that it could be true, but all that he saw after he finished it was darkness.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The battle took place on the following day. Once it became apparent that their ally Hazad had no intention of betraying them, they left a few men guarding the fort and undertook the crossing of what even Isildur saw as a rather daunting maze of forest paths towards the main settlement of the Forest People. Tal Elmar walked several steps ahead of them, his silhouette barely visible under the thick shade of the ancient trees. His feet made no noise as he walked on, in sharp contrast with the Númenóreans, who trampled on twigs and fallen leaves with the subtlety of a rampaging herd of horses. Sometimes, it became so difficult to spot their guide in this alien territory that the men grew unnerved, and Anárion had to order him to remain in their line of sight. Isildur could perceive the boy chafing at this, and his exasperation at those slow and careless oafs he was trying to lead. Maybe he was even wondering if their skills on the battlefield would be similarly abysmal, since, as far as the son of Elendil could tell, the Forest People simply did not understand fighting separately from hiding and ambushing. But that, of course, was as much of a weakness as it was a strength, if they were forced into a terrain where the conditions for this were not favourable. The Númenórean commanders of the Middle Havens had seized on this knowledge soon enough, and turned all their territory into a barren wasteland.

The settlement was not quite a barren wasteland, as it was surrounded by forest on all sides. Still, its enclosure was a territory more suited for Númenórean style deployment, and Isildur immediately gave orders to advance in formation towards the centre, where the Elders’ hut was located. When Tal Elmar made a move to follow him, however, the elder son of Elendil sized him up with a frown.

“Stay back and do not get in the way. Your work here is done.”

“I am warrior” Tal Elmar objected, his own frown matching Isildur’s. As he was only carrying a dagger and no armour, the Númenórean could not prevent himself from laughing, which seemed to anger the young man further.

How well do you think that would have worked with me? Malik asked, arching an eyebrow. Isildur sobered a little.

“I can see that” he said, trying to placate Tal Elmar. “But we fight in formation. If you have not been trained to fight as we do, you will only get in the way. Perhaps one day I can teach you, and you can teach me to fight like your people.”

“Isildur, we have no time for this”, Anárion hissed. Despite all his learning and extensive preparations, he seemed to be more than a little nervous, and this was obviously a feeling that he did not enjoy.

“Lead the left flank, and do not forget what I said about the archers. I will go on the right”, Isildur told him, with an apologetic shrug in Tal Elmar’s direction. “Go and look for your father’s warriors. And be careful.”

He did not wait enough to hear the boy’s answer, too busy with the preparations for the attack. From then on, the pace of events grew faster, in that familiar, glorious way which made it impossible to care about any of the small things that made life unnecessarily complicated. They advanced on the settlement, and soon they could hear darts whistling over their heads. A man cried and fell to the ground, but the others rallied around Isildur and attacked. The natives did not meet them head on, as he had already suspected from Tal Elmar’s attitude and from the information Anárion had gathered about their battle customs: instead, they hid behind walls, climbed on roofs, and threw darts and daggers at them, which, after the first shock, proved easy to parry with their shields. They did not encounter armed resistance until they drew close enough to their target, a kind of round hut with a higher roof than the others, and even there it crumbled as soon as Anárion’s column met theirs in a pincer attack. Once they had taken it by assault and routed the enemy, he gave orders not to follow those who fled. Instead, he had the enclosure surrounded, and forced those inside to leave it one by one, to be searched for weapons and put under watch. They were just seven men, rather old, dressed in vividly coloured furs and unarmed. Isildur left Anárion to deal with them, and set to regroup his people before the arrival of the second wave of attackers.

The wait was long, so much that, in the interval, they had time to care for their wounded and put the corpses aside for burning. While Isildur was taking care of those activities, Anárion seemed to be making headway with the Elders. He established communication with them in their language, talked to them at length, and even ventured inside the hut accompanied by one of them, perhaps to be introduced to the savage deity they worshipped.

As he was surveying and pondering his brother’s actions, Isildur suddenly heard a familiar voice calling him. He looked up, to see Tal Elmar running fast towards his position.

“I told you to…” he began, but the boy interrupted him.

“Father is danger”, he said, looking upset. At the sound of his voice, Anárion emerged from the hut.

“Where?” Isildur asked. As it appeared, Hazad’s treachery had been discovered earlier than expected, and Mogru and his men had turned against him. They were battling each other out there as they spoke, something which had not been part of any of their preferred scenarios.

“They are in the forest”, Isildur said, with a significant glance in Anárion’s direction. His brother nodded gravely, understanding very well what this meant. The forest was the Forest People’s territory, and as soon as they stepped on it to fight, the balance would not turn so easily in their favour as it had in the treeless enclosure of the settlement.

“Can’t he try to lead them towards us? Pretend to be retreating?” Isildur asked. Tal Elmar seemed bewildered, as if he could not understand what he was being asked.  Isildur sighed, sheathing his sword and looking around him. He knew a thing or two about ambushes and unequal battles, but most of the men they had brought with them on this expedition would not be trained in such endeavours. And though he was spoiling to risk his own life, he would not prove his brother’s complaints about his excessive temerity right. “Very well. Anárion, bring forth the Elders. It is time to know how important they are to this people.”

Isildur did not know what his brother said to the old men, but whatever it was, they did not appear to oppose too much resistance. One of them, a man with a grizzled grey beard that reached lower than his belly, hobbled into the enclosure and came out with a bundle which he reverently covered with his red-dyed fur cloak. Isildur had the suspicion that it might be the god, and when he saw the other old men fall to his knees before it, the suspicion turned into certainty.

“What is he doing? What did you tell him?” he asked, taken aback at this readiness. “Does he know that we will kill him and his companions if they betray us?”

“Yes. He also knows that I will lose my voice and stop moving and turn into a tree if I betray him”, Anárion replied. “Back when I entered their sacred enclosure, I swore the holiest oath they have that I would not let any harm come to their god. If the god lives, the tribe lives, and compared to this the rest is unimportant. There are both relatives of Mogru and of Hazad among them, you see.” He turned to fix Isildur with his gaze. “Do not lay a hand on the one who carries the god, because if you do so, I will have to kill you.”

“You swore what?” Even knowing that the ‘god’ was probably just a crude wood or stone statue, Isildur could not help but balk at the idea of an oath sworn so lightly. Anárion, however, did not seem anything but deadly serious.

Perhaps this is his idea of taking risks for the sake of the mission, Malik whispered helpfully in his ear. We often risked the wrath of men, of kings even, but we never risked divine wrath, did we?

“Very well.” He shrugged, trying to feign a nonchalance that he was very far from feeling. “I suppose you will have to go, then. Take Tal Elmar and half of our men with you. And make sure to remind this Elder fellow that they have not sworn any oaths, and that they have orders from me to kill him and cut their god to pieces if any harm comes to you.”

Tal Elmar gave him a scandalized look, where horror and fascination seemed to be struggling for the upper hand. Isildur ignored him, and started organizing the host that would accompany his brother into the woods.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

In all the years he had spent in Arne with his father, Isildur remembered feeling often mystified at Elendil’s insistence on establishing peaceful relations with everyone, from the most devious of courtiers to the wildest savage. Even if they had them at their mercy, he would refuse to press his advantage, and instead endeavour to wheedle concessions from them of their own free will. That was the only way for alliances to last, he always claimed, though Isildur, whose duty was to deal with the fallout, had a rather more nuanced view of the effectivity of this method. Now, it was his younger brother who had revealed himself as his father’s heir in this, though he had not been present in Arne for any of their disagreements. He had learned the language of the savages, swore outlandish oaths before outlandish gods, and decided to trust an old priest he had met at swordpoint a mere half hour ago to hold to his agreement –Isildur did not, so he sent scouts after them and readied his host for war-, all in an attempt to implement his clever plan with as little casualties as possible. Of course, he had refused to think of the fact that a wrong move would mean multiplying those casualties by a tenfold, and jeopardising their position. Perhaps Isildur should have met this with the refusal that he had never been able to give his father. The more he thought about it, the longer he waited for news from the forest, the stronger he felt about it. It might even have been a trap since the beginning, he thought, designed to lure them away into the forest. Had he been too ready to trust Tal Elmar for reasons that did not strictly belong to the realm of logic? Had his instinct been no more than a mix of emotion and wishful thinking?

It is no good to start mistrusting one’s instinct, Isildur. Once it turns into a habit, you are dead. You should know better by now.

When he heard the boy’s voice calling him, he was so lost in those musings that at first he thought he had imagined it. But when he saw the slender silhouette running in their direction, he immediately stood up, and his senses were sharpened. The soldiers grabbed the pommels of their swords, then relaxed their grip as soon as they saw some of their comrades at walking distance from the young tribesman. Among them was Anárion, and the Elder with his god, and Hazad too, followed by one of his sons carrying what Isildur guessed was his enemy’s head on a spike.

The story they told was the strangest that Isildur had heard in a long time. As it appeared, the appearance of the Elder had brought both armies to a standstill. The old man had claimed that the feud should be resolved in the ancient way, through single combat, for which each of the chieftains had to choose a champion. Mogru had chosen his best warrior, and Tal Elmar had immediately volunteered to fight for his father, but Anárion had discreetly taken Hazad aside and offered him the services of one of the men they had hired in Pelargir; a veteran soldier of the Vale of Arne whom Isildur knew of many battles. Hazad had much preferred this idea. Though they were supposed to fight only with knives, this was no problem for the Númenórean, who knew his way around with most weapons and was not only taller and stronger but also more experienced in combat, after almost eighty years of service.

And still you would have gone ahead and volunteered yourself, wouldn’t you? Malik snorted.

In the end, Mogru had lost his chieftainship in favour of Hazad uBuldar, and, as he refused to swear loyalty to him – ‘for it is the Sea People, whose bastard blood runs through your veins, who have defeated us, and they will enslave our people and cut the forest and take our children away to be sacrificed if you let them settle in this land’- he had also lost his head. Few of his people had joined him in this gruesome ritual; most chose to kneel and swear to follow Hazad uBuldar under the gaze of the tribe’s god. Then, they had gathered the corpses of those fallen for the side blessed with victory, including four of Hazad’s own sons, and marched back to their village to prepare their funeral pyre. The Forest People never cut wood from trees: they were only allowed by their gods to pick what fell to the ground by its own will, and to build their fires with dead trees that no longer bore leaves. But for those fallen in battle, an exception was made: they had the right to have trees felled for their sake alone.

Leaving them to their solemn endeavours, accompanied by the high-pitched cries of women who had emerged from the huts where they had been huddling together with their children while the men fought, Isildur and Anárion gathered with Hazad in the hut of the Elders. There, the god was put back in its proper place –it was the strangest piece of wood Isildur had ever seen, pitch-black and hard as iron, with a twisted shape which did not resemble man or beast-, and many oaths were sworn in its presence, in Adûnaic and the wild men’s own tongue. Hazad seemed very happy, despite his losses, and he made them many promises of land, labour to build their settlements, food and advice. Neither Isildur nor Anárion were ready yet to take him at his word, but they showed their thanks and promised to attend the feast where their oaths would be made public before every warrior in the tribe.

“Well, that did not turn out too badly, so far”, Anárion said in a thoughtful tone, as they were served food by silent women who watched them warily. “To have been able to establish an alliance without any spilling of blood would have been ideal, of course, but the circumstances…”

 Isildur chuckled.

“You did well, Anárion. And this was as peaceful as it could possibly be.”

He knows that, Malik said, but Isildur did not need the ghost to tell him. All that Anárion needed was to be reassured that they were still good people, that their actions were unavoidable, even beneficial on the long run, and all that shit that one needed to be told after a month or two on the mainland. He wanted this reassurance, perhaps even thought that he needed it, but with or without it, he would be fine. If there was one thing Lord Círdan had been right about, it was Anárion’s ambition. Like their father, his younger brother would do his best to avoid spilling blood and try to achieve his objectives by peaceful means, even going out of his way to do it, but he would never be stopped.

Outside, the air was thick with smoke, from the pyre lit for the funeral ceremony that would start as soon as the first stars appeared in the sky. The Númenóreans would not take part in it, since they were outsiders, but the entire tribe was already gathering there.

The entire tribe, save one, Malik noted, as their eyes fell upon a familiar silhouette who sat on the ground, as he had back when he was a hostage in the Númenórean encampment. He is just as much of an outsider here as he was there.

“Why aren’t you with the others?” Isildur asked. Tal Elmar must have heard him approach, because he did not seem surprised.

“I am not…” He frowned, as if baffled by a concept which he did not know how to put in Adûnaic. “They celebrated funeral. For me. Dead.”

“That was a ruse.” Isildur sat next to him. “You are obviously not dead.”

Tal Elmar shook his head.

“No. I alive. But they think I dead. They burn my hair. Now I no hair. Cursed.”

Oh, by the Valar’s sake. “Are you an outcast now because you pretended to be dead?” Isildur asked in disbelief. The young man looked puzzled at the question.

“They do not want you because you pretended to be dead? Is that it?” This time, he nodded, and Isildur stood up angrily. “Come with us, then. There is room for you in the Island.”

Tar Elmar seemed briefly thoughtful, but at once he began shaking his head with vehemence.

“Father Master of Agar now. He make things right. But not today. Today he careful. Very important ceremony.”

“Oh. So he still wants you as his son, but not in front of others”, Isildur retorted, unimpressed. “Perhaps he might even acknowledge in secret how much he owes you.”

Now, it was Tar Elmar’s turn to be angry. His eyes gleamed with a strange, wild light, so similar to the one he was used to see in another’s eyes that Isildur was taken aback despite himself.

“Father loves me. I love him. You very wrong. I never leave him and he never leave me. I go with you, he break all the oaths and fight your people to the death.”

“All right, all right. I did not mean to offend you, Tal Elmar uHazad”, he said, backing down. “If you are so certain that this is your place, I will insist no further. I was only showing concern for your wellbeing.”

“Why?” Tar Elmar asked, but his tone was no longer challenging. It was rather surprised.

Good question, Malik nodded, approvingly. He always has this tendency to go to the crux of the matter, doesn’t he?

Isildur took a sharp breath.

“Because I had a friend who was half-barbarian, half-Sea People like you.” He dearly hoped that Anárion was not listening from inside the hut. “And whenever I look at you, I am reminded of him.”

And before the boy could come up with another question, he turned away and left.

Facing the Inevitable

Read Facing the Inevitable

The sea breeze was growing steadily colder as the afternoon progressed. Fíriel shivered, gazing at the dwindling sunlight reflected on the gravestone’s white surface. She should have been back home already, for her aunt and uncle didn’t approve of her wandering off alone after sunset, and her mother would not even have wanted her to come at all. Beyond the vague, shapeless fears which were now an everyday companion for the Faithful wherever they went, the Lady Ilmarë was having dreams lately, of Fíriel falling down the cliff that stood before the Andúnië mansion, and of her hand slipping away from her grasp no matter how hard she tried to hold to it. Though ignorant of the workings of this prophetic gift which she appeared to have missed, Fíriel usually listened to her, as deep inside she, too, was aware that the world was growing increasingly dangerous around them.

Today, however, on the first month anniversary of Grandmother’s death, she had felt an overpowering need to be alone.  And then, after she found herself standing before the grave, so many things had come crashing into her mind that she had found herself rooted to the spot, unable to keep track of the time. Pain, for a wound still as fresh as the first day, longing, for a loving smile which she would never see again, and the inescapable guilt, which neither Lady Ilmarë nor Lord Amandil, Lady Lalwendë or any other relative from either side of her family had been able to make disappear, made her weep until she felt dried of tears.

She is happy now, in the company of her beloved husband, Eldest Uncle had said that morning, as Fíriel sat huddled on a small chair next to the deathbed, listlessly staring ahead. She was weary of this life, and had earned her rest, his wife added, nodding sententiously. In her life, she had already withstood much pain and hardship before you came along. If all, you were a great comfort to her, Lord Amandil had contributed, once he heard the news and rushed towards their house. All of them were right, in their own way, and yet none of those truths was the whole truth. Since Fíriel was a little child, her memories of the woman had not tallied at all with her recent behaviour. Something had happened, which had changed her at such a fundamental level that, when one day she refused to rise from her bed, no one had been shocked, as if it had been but an inevitable conclusion. The grandmother Fíriel had known, and still remembered, would never, ever have refused to rise from her bed, and sometimes it shocked her how the people around her acted as if they could not remember, as if that woman had never existed. As if she had always been a diminished, frightened thing without the will to fight, even before Fíriel disregarded her warnings because she knew so much better, and caused her to be threatened, interrogated and hurt by the King’s people.

Give her some credit, Fíriel. Would a woman of her mettle have been undone by something like that? Lord Elendil, too, had joined in the chorus of people trying to make her feel better with herself. She always had this inside her. The only reason why you did not see it was that she would never have allowed herself to appear like that before you. But after you stood bravely before the King and saved your family, she knew that you were strong, and that she no longer had to protect you.

Fíriel had been too ashamed to say the words that came to her mind then: that she had not been strong or brave, that she had not saved her family –if Lord Amandil had not been there, they would all be dead-, that she had not, in fact, even stood, and that she had caused the whole situation in the first place, as her aunt had not hesitated to tell her before she took ship for Pelargir with her husband and her surviving child. Even her grandmother’s uncomprehending looks as Fíriel poured her heart out on her deathbed did not distract her from the sad truth: by then, the old woman had been too far gone to understand what Fíriel was trying to tell her. All she had been able to perceive was that her granddaughter was sad, and she caressed her hand in a clumsy attempt to comfort her. Sometimes, when Fíriel closed her eyes, she could still feel the soft touch of ghost fingers there.

Stop speaking nonsense, Fíriel. Ilmarë had been the bluntest of them all. Your cousin was at fault for everything, not you. That he died a tragic death does not mean you are obligated to shoulder his blame, no matter what your relatives say.

Fíriel had not wanted to start an argument in a funeral, but the ease with which her mother felt entitled to assign blame had got under her skin. She was old enough not to be patronized, and she knew perfectly well that if she had not fooled around with Gimilzagar, Zebedin would never have tried to kill him. That she had been deluded enough to think that she had everything under her control amazed her even now. What control could she possibly have had over forces compared to which she was nothing but an ant, scurrying away in an attempt not to be crushed? Not even Gimilzagar, heir to the Sceptre of Númenor, was powerful enough to face them. After thinking long and hard about it, Fíriel had realized that this was the reason why, to this day, she remained unable to hate him. If she had not seen the King throw him out, forcing him to stand behind a closed door while she was interrogated, if she had not perceived his relief once that she came out alive, and how his hands trembled even as he held her against his chest, she was certain that she would have been able to take the higher road, despite the kiss, and despite everything else that joined them since they were children. And if she ever thought of him while she stood before her grandmother’s grave, it would be as their enemy.

“I am sorry, Grandmother.” According to Ilmarë and Lalwendë’s teachings, souls that travelled beyond the Circles of the World did no longer remain where the bodies had been buried, and could not receive offerings or communicate with the living, as superstition had made many Númenóreans believe. This idea, however, was of such an unbearable cruelty that a part of Fíriel, just like those superstitious people, refused to harken to it. No matter how far she was forced to go, Grandmother would never leave Fíriel completely. “I - cannot stop loving him. But do not worry: he is very, very far away now, and I do not think our paths will ever cross again. Your family will be safe, away from the evil clutches of the Sceptre.” She tried to feel comforted at the thought, but anguish closed her throat. “He is in the mainland now, and the King will p-probably find him some exotic princess or another and m-make him forget about me.” It was two years now since she had last seen him. “You should see h-how quiet Rómenna h-has become s-since he stopped c-coming….”

Furiously, she wiped her tears with the back of her hand. This should not be happening. She might be unable to hate him, but she was supposed to have left this behind, as well. She could not spend her whole life like this, and she already had enough on her plate as it was.

“I will be back”, she promised, once that her voice had been coaxed back to normal. It was almost dark now, and the sun should already be plunging in the mysterious seas which had bathed the shores of her childhood home. In her current, melancholy mood, it suddenly struck her that this was the first thing she remembered having lost, though it had not been the last. Perhaps she would be like Grandmother one day, a woman who hid all her wounds behind a smile, until one day it finally became too much to bear.

Nipping this maudlin thought in the bud, Fíriel gathered her bearings and began walking back towards the village. The more she advanced through the deserted path, the more her eyes and ears grew alert for signs of movement or sound, while her musings receded to the back of her mind. She was late, even later than she had thought, and the earful she was going to receive when she returned home was nothing compared with other terrors that haunted her imagination as she saw the light of dusk fade before her eyes. Any girl who walked alone had much to fear at this hour, and the abomination’s whore most of all. Though she was under the protection of Lord Amandil, she remembered only too well how little it had availed Gimilzagar to be the heir to the Sceptre of the World when the knife swung in his direction.

Still, despite her fears, she did not meet a soul until she came to the outskirts of the village, and its first lights shone in her path. There were no people on the street, and most doors were already bolted shut. Being usually behind one of those bolted doors, Fíriel had not realized how eerie it was to be at the opposite side, alone, watching as every sign of life retreated from the public space and withdrew into the illusion of safety offered by four walls. But she was beginning to understand just how necessary those illusions were to those who invoked them, whether it was the illusion that a wooden enclosure rendered you invulnerable to the perils outside, or the illusion that as long as you stayed out of trouble and did not voice any treasonous thoughts, nobody would come after you. All of it had been proved false more times than they cared to remember, and yet the beliefs survived.

Until the truth barged into your life, in the shape of soldiers bringing your flimsy doors down, and dragging you and your family away for what you had believed to be your best kept secrets, she thought, her stomach doing somersaults as she took the long footpath that led towards her family’s house, and began hearing the sound of voices that she could not immediately recognize. Trying to prevent her instinctive panic from gaining the upper hand, she sought for an explanation: perhaps they were Lord Amandil’s guards, who were there because the Lady Ilmarë had told them to escort her to visit Fíriel in the afternoon, and she was about to run into her now, furious because her daughter was back so late. But as she approached the noise, the bad feeling kept growing stronger and stronger. The door was open, which was never the case at that time of the day, and there was light on the porch, where several men were sitting as indolently as if they had been on a tavern, laughing their heads off at some joke. For a moment, the thought of escape crossed her mind, and she wondered if she would be able to make it up the cliff to the lord of Andúnië’s house at this hour, without either tripping and falling or being caught by those who looked for her. But then she thought of her family, who were meant to be inside waiting for her and had found those soldiers at their doorstep instead. Fíriel had already harmed them enough; if anything happened to them, she would never be able to live with herself. So, despite all her instincts screaming at her to run, she forced herself to walk, one shaking feet before another, until the men saw her.

The laughter died, as abruptly as if it had never been there. One of the men –the leader, wearing the armour of the Palace Guard, Fíriel realized, her blood running cold- barked orders to the others, who stood up to attention. They were six in total, armed with swords that lay propped on the wall. Lord Amandil’s guards might have been able to take them, if only they had been here.

“Are you Fíriel, the girl who lives in this house?” the man asked her, still in that barking voice. Fíriel forced herself to return his gaze.

“Where is my family?” As she spoke, two of the other guards broke the formation, and left the porch to approach her position. Though they did not lay hands on her, they stood behind her, cutting her escape route. She was trapped.

“They are in Sor”, the Guard replied. He was not Lord Abdazer, the head of the Prince’s escort, but he looked just as cold and merciless to her, as if both had been cut from the same cloth. “With the Queen. Ar Zimraphel the Silver-Crowned, Face of Ashtarte-Uinen, Protectress of Númenor and the colonies and Queen of the World wishes for you to be brought before her august presence. If you follow us quietly, she will have them released.”

Many feverish thought processes erupted in Fíriel’s mind at once, so for a while she could do nothing but stand there, trying to untangle them enough to recover some part of her composure. The most immediate and superficial was a feeling of disbelief at the idea of those six armed men telling her to ‘come quietly’ with them. What did they think she could do? Attack them, throw herself down the cliff and turn into a bird? Call the villagers for aid? The citizens of Rómenna? Even Lord Amandil was too far away to hear her now.

The second thought was that Ilmarë had been right, after all: the Queen of Númenor was not yet finished with her. Gimilzagar’s daunting mother had never forgotten that she existed, and now, she had finally decided to act on it. Had Ilmarë also been right when she claimed that Ar Zimraphel controlled Fate, and that she knew everything that was going to happen? But if so, what had she seen in Fíriel’s future that she would not leave her alone, even after her own husband and son had already forgotten about her?

But the strongest of all her thoughts, the one which eventually overshadowed all the others, was the bitter realization that her family was once again in danger because of her, and that it did not matter what the Queen wanted: she still needed to go and save them.

“I will go with you” she said, in a small voice. Immediately, the man nodded, and two hands grabbed each of her shoulders with an iron grip. “But please, do not hurt them.”

“I do not have your family here with me, nor am I responsible for their fate” he informed her, with perfect indifference. “Those were the Queen’s own words, which I was bid to repeat to you, and whoever else might have been with you.” They had expected her to be with her kin from the house in the cliff, she realized, in dawning comprehension. Not alone and unprotected and with no one to turn for aid. Of course, who would have thought she could be so stupid? “But doubting her word will not earn you her benevolence, and someone in your circumstances would be well advised to seek it.”

Someone in her circumstances. “What am I accused of? I have done nothing!” The man did not answer, but the grip on her shoulder grew even tighter, steering her inexorably towards the back of the house, where the horses were tethered. The lessons that Lady Lalwendë and Lady Ilmarë had imparted to her had not included riding, but it did not matter because it soon became apparent that they were not going to let her have a horse of her own. Instead, she was pulled up by one of the guards who had been leading her and slung unceremoniously over the front of the other’s mount. She cringed; the feeling of his armoured body against hers felt repulsive, and his breath down her neck made her shiver. Even up here, she was still held as tight if she was going to escape at any moment, though the only way to do that would be to jump from a galloping beast, and land on an uneven ground that she could not see in the dark.

Feeling the bile rise up her throat at the thought of what could be waiting for her on their unknown destination, the young woman closed her eyes, and mentally prayed to the Baalim to protect them all.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

In the last years, Sor had turned into a place of dread for the Faithful who lived in Rómenna. Ever since the attempt on the Prince of the West’s life had resulted in the new laws against them being promulgated, any trespassers on its territory could be arrested on the mere claim of being Faithful. It did not matter that they had not engaged in any act of forbidden worship while they were there: the burden of proof was always on them, and how could one prove they had not muttered a prayer, proffered an exclamation, exchanged an innocent word or two about the Baalim blessing the harvest or bringing good weather? Cautionary tales, passed by word of mouth, spoke of men who were lured across the invisible line by those who bore a grudge against them, of boys who had tried to go to the market and never returned, even of someone who had been robbed and pursued the thieves to a place where, instead of justice, he had found death. Fíriel had heard all those stories, and they made her feel irrationally helpless as they crossed the wide avenues, the throngs of nightly revellers who did not even look twice at them, the labyrinthic streets of the old city crowned by the dome of the great Temple of Sor where Zebedin had been sacrificed.

The truth, of course, was that it did not matter where they were: if the Queen wanted her dead, she would be dead, here or in Rómenna. But somehow, the act of luring her to this very place, with the threat to her family dangling over her head, made her think of the entrapped people in the stories. She felt like a fly, dangling from a spider’s web while its weaver waited calmly for her struggles to subside so she could swallow her whole. Restlessly, she wondered what could the Queen want from her that she would have needed to build this whole scenario to annihilate her will and work her into a panic. Perhaps she had even waited until Grandmother died, knowing that her death would push Fíriel closer to the edge, the crazy thought insinuated itself into her mind, but she refused to let it develop. Her mother’s obsession with the Queen had made too deep an impression in her mind, but she could not let it go too far, or it would make things even worse.

They took her directly to the Governor’s palace, through a back door that gave to a beautiful stone archway, and then past an inner garden that lay hidden in darkness, though Fíriel could hear the rumour of a fountain in passing. Before her mind could register her new surroundings, however, she was steered through a long and hollow gallery, where every one of their footsteps reverberated in an intimidating way.

“Where are you taking me?” she asked, more because she was too nervous to remain quiet than because she thought they would answer her question. As she had expected, no one spoke a word.

At long last, they reached a richly decorated antechamber, similar to the one before Lady Lalwendë’s rooms, but even more profusely decorated. There were several women in there, and as she saw them head towards the door at the end of the long room, painted in colourful bird motifs, Fíriel knew that she was finally going to see the Queen. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, doing her best to gather her composure before they ushered her in.

We cannot escape the long arm of the Queen of Númenor, Fíriel, her mother’s voice returned to her mind from a day long past, in the storage room of Eldest Uncle’s house in Rómenna. All we can do is wait for her, face her when she comes, and never let her destroy our spirits.

“I am so glad to see you, Fíriel” a woman’s voice, clear and beautiful like the Sea on a summer morning, reached her ears from the other side of the chamber. Upon realizing who its owner was, Fíriel did not even look: she immediately fell on her knees to the floor, and bowed low.

“My… my Queen” she stammered, furious at herself for her trembling.

“What are you doing, girl? Stand up and approach me. I have important business to discuss with you, and you will not flee my gaze so easily. You, go.”

Fíriel heard people shift around her, the clang of armour and then, as she pushed herself up with the palm of her hands, the sound of retreating steps. The guards had left. The women had stayed behind, at the other side of the threshold, so she was alone with the Queen now. Slowly, and though she still did not dare to look directly at her, she raised her gaze to take in what she could of her dreaded interlocutor. She seemed a beautiful woman, very beautiful, she corrected her own impression after a moment, with ivory-white skin, delicately sculpted features and magnificent dark hair, adorned with silver stars. Her dress was a deep shade of blue with silver embroideries, and she looked resplendent in it, like a goddess on her throne. To Fíriel, she appeared incongruously young, except for the eyes, which struck her as ancient as they fixed her with an enigmatic glance. If she had been a little girl, and this woman had suddenly appeared before her claiming that she was Lúthien of Doriath come again to the world of the living, Fíriel would have believed her.

“Melian”, the clear voice spoke again. “It is Melian, whose likeness I have inherited. But you are beautiful too, even more than your mother, back when she used to be the fairest maiden in my court. It is no wonder that my son lost his heart to you.”

Fíriel’s bedazzlement at the woman’s looks, which for a moment had managed to cloud her perception of the dangers surrounding her, evaporated at this. Crashing back into the here and now, she struggled furiously to keep her wits.

“I never knew my mother, my Queen, so I cannot say.”

The perfect forehead curved into a small but ominous frown.

“Fíriel, I want us to be friends. To trust each other. And yet here you are, lying and trying to make a fool out of me. I will tolerate this once, because it is the first time that we meet, but you must strive to avoid this unpleasantness in the future.” Her severity was gone as soon as it had appeared, leaving no traces of its existence. “Sit down. Tea?”

Fíriel nodded in silence, letting herself fall on the cushioned chair at the opposite side of the Queen’s low table. For a while she did not know what to do, or what to say.

“You could start by the reason why you are here”, Ar Zimraphel suggested, helpfully. Fíriel nodded again, trying to find her voice back.

“Yes, my Queen. Why… er… why am I here?”

“Not my reason, girl, yours!” The Queen shook her head, as if she was being unbelievably dense. “Why are you here?”

The girl’s eyes widened. Surely she did not mean for her to say…

“I… er… I am here because the… Guards you sent told me that my family was here… and that you would release them if I … came quietly.” She almost expected Ar Zimraphel to fly into a rage again, but she just nodded in approval.

“Indeed. A very good reason. To save the lives of your loved ones is a noble objective, and it says much about you. As a matter of fact, it is the same reason why I am here, too.”

“To… save my family?” Fíriel asked stupidly. But that made no sense, it was she who…

Oh.

“Who…?” Her voice died in her lips as an alarming possibility intruded in her mind, making her even forget momentarily about her own plight and that of her kin. “Is it Gimil… the Prince of the West, my Queen?”

“Very good”, Ar Zimraphel confirmed, handing her the cup of tea. “You remain deeply attuned to him even now.”

“What has happened to him?” For the first time, Fíriel did not have the leisure to be afraid before she spoke; a new, overwhelming concern had taken hold of her. “Is he sick?”

“Very good. Very good!” the Queen smiled, as if she was putting Fíriel through an exam like the ladies Lalwendë and Irimë used to do when they were trying to educate her. “My son is more than sick, Fíriel. He is dying.”

The cup fell from Fíriel’s limp hand, crashing against the table. This careless move was enough to break its exquisitely thin frame and spill the tea across the table, almost spattering the hot beverage over the Queen’s royal lap. At any other moment, Fíriel would have fallen to her knees begging forgiveness for this intolerable faux pas, but now she did not even move.

Ar Zimraphel did not seem to notice the mess. Her eyes were locked on Fíriel, like the arrow of a hunter on its prey.

“Yes, Fíriel. My son was born dead, and only Zigûr’s knowledge was able to revive him. Every single year, his forces start to wane, and they have to be replenished through barbaric means, which have earned him the name of abomination among your own people. You have always known this, though you pretended not to believe those who told you. For you love him too much, don’t you? Even though you know that people have to die for his sake, you desperately and selfishly want him to live on. That is the tie that binds us, Fíriel daughter of Ilmarë. For you as well as for me, Gimilzagar’s life is more precious than any other. And if he is in danger, neither of us would hesitate to risk anything or anyone to save him.”

Fíriel paled first and then, as Ar Zimraphel spoke, she blushed to the roots of her hair. She shook her head trying to deny it, to deny everything, but once again the words did not come to her. When drops of hot tea fell from the table on her lap, she did not even flinch.

“But it is not that kind of sacrifice which is in question here now. Rest assured, I am speaking of other services you can render the Sceptre.”

“Other…. services?” Fíriel tried to dab at the liquid with the tablecloth, but it would not be absorbed. “What is wrong with Gimilzagar?”

“He has lost his will to live. Right now, his father is taking him across the mainland as fast as it is humanly possible, trying to get him to Umbar and into a ship bound for Númenor before it is too late. He does not respond to anything, whether it is medicine, prayer, sacrifice, or even the King’s pleas. Once they set foot in Sor, the King will try to have Lord Zigûr heal him. But if that monster manages to open Gimilzagar’s eyes, it will not be him behind them anymore.”

“Why?” What had they done to him, was what she truly wanted to ask, but she did not dare. In any case, it did not matter, because the Queen was able to read her like an open book.

“What was done to him does not matter now. The only thing that matters is that he is in need of healing, and that we need you. You will go back to Andúnië and tell Lord Amandil and the rest of your kin that you have decided, of your own free will, to part ways with them and enter the Palace of Armenelos, to live there henceforth.”

“What?” Fíriel cried, aghast. She still remembered that long day of terror, back when she was a child and Gimilzagar had extended this same proposal to her. Her fears that the King, or Sauron, would discover her and sacrifice her for being the daughter of the barbarian who committed treason against the Sceptre. The unbearable thought of not seeing her family again, even if back then she still had not known everything about her parentage. And then, other thoughts came crashing into her mind, too, thoughts she would never have been able to entertain at that age, but which could not be kept away from her mind anymore: her reputation, of very little worth back when she was a peasant, but implicating those who had revealed themselves to be her kin in the last years. The bastard of Andúnië, and the abomination’s whore. They had called her this in Rómenna, would the whole world follow suit?

And why would you trust her so easily? an inner voice that sounded like her mother’s scolded, scandalized. I have been teaching you, training you for years so you would not be the same gullible little girl you once were. She already lured you here by dangling the wellbeing of your family under your nose, and now she wants to lure you to Armenelos under a similar pretext, knowing that this is your greatest weakness. But she has weaknesses too, Fíriel. She would destroy others without a blink, but you can be sure that she would never allow any harm to come to her precious son. No – all that she wants is to entrap you, so she can drag the reputation of the leaders of the Faithful through the mud with your help.

“You know, I could have simply told you that, if you did not come to Armenelos, I would have your remaining family executed”, the Queen said, in a conversational tone. Fíriel’s blood froze. “That would be a good way to illustrate the absurdity of your thoughts. Why would I need to entrap you, if I already have this power over you? But I see you have been taught by your mother, and she never was very bright. She was so busy hating me that she could not stop digging her own grave and that of the people around her, and you have inherited this unfortunate trait.” She shook his head, with a huff of contempt. “Back when you were still in her womb, I offered her the chance to surrender you willingly. She refused. Ten years later, I offered you that chance through my son, and you refused it as well. What do you think that would have happened if any of you had trusted my superior knowledge? Just imagine that scenario, Fíriel! Your hot-headed cousin would never have tried to harm my son, and he would be alive now. His friends, too, would be alive, together with their families, who were innocent of any crime and yet were made to share in their fate. Your grandmother would be alive….”

Fíriel repressed a sob. It was a dull noise, covered by the pressure of the palms of her hands against her mouth, but of course Zimraphel was able to hear it. Instead of gloating, however, she looked sympathetic.

“Oh, do not cry. You were very young back then, Fíriel, a mere child. How were you supposed to know better? You did not understand about duty, or sacrifice, you only knew that you did not want to be taken away from those you loved, and you were afraid for your own life. But now, you are an adult, and you will choose well. I am so certain of this that I have already given the orders for your uncle, aunt and cousins to be released. It was never my intention to cause you unnecessary distress.”

No, she merely wanted to drive home to both you and your family that you cannot stay in Rómenna any longer. That the only solution is to do as she says. And she will pretend that she is helping you, when in fact all the hardships you have suffered were caused by her in the first place.

All except one, Fíriel thought. Whatever her plans towards her were, she would never let her son be hurt.

But she can still lie about it.

“Very clever. Yes, I can lie”, Ar Zimraphel drank the dregs of her tea, and grimaced slightly as the bitterness travelled across her mouth. “But what if I am not lying? What if Gimilzagar dies, and you could have prevented it? What if you have to live a long, miserable life tormented by that knowledge?”

Do not listen to her. For a moment, the voice was so clear in her mind that Fíriel almost felt as if she could see her mother’s physical glare before her.

“But… but the King does not want me there. Two years ago, he said that he did not want Gimilzagar to have anything to do with me. That if he saw me near his son again, I would suffer the same fate as my cousin.”

“The King will not raise a finger against you as long as you are under my protection.” In other words, her mother’s voice snorted scathingly, as soon as she has what she wants from you, you are as good as dead. All you will be able to look forward to is a brief and shameful existence, the source of every gossip in Númenor and a prisoner of the Sceptre, living a borrowed life until you are no longer useful. And by now, I think that you have learned that your beloved Prince of the West cannot save you.

“He cannot.” Ar Zimraphel’s eyes were like dark pools in which a girl like her could drown. “But you can save him. And that, Fíriel, effectively turns you into the most powerful of us three –or four, if you include the King. Will you use this power to save Gimilzagar, or to doom him?”

Her following words were low, almost a whisper.

“And what can I do, that others can’t? Why does it have to be me?”

The Queen leaned forwards, her lips curving into a warm smile.

“Because you are the only reason to remain alive that he has left.”

To this, Fíriel did not know what to answer.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Ar Zimraphel had been as good as her word concerning Fíriel’s relatives. When she left the Governor’s palace at dawn, they were waiting for her on a cart, where they were to be taken back to Rómenna together with her. They smiled and welcomed her warmly enough, but Fíriel, who knew them well, could perceive the haunted look in the depths of their eyes. For the unbearably long space of one night, since the guards had come for them and dragged them from their home, they had thought they were going to die. Fíriel could only imagine what it would be like to see the great dome of the Temple of Melkor looming over their heads, knowing what had happened to Zebedin there, after he was taken away by the same people who had come to get them now.

All of it to make a point. An unnecessary point, even, or ‘redundant’, as the ladies of the house of Andúnië would have pronounced it. The Queen knew of Fíriel’s love for Gimilzagar, there was no need to torture her further with practical examples of how her past choices affected those around her, or to push them to hate her. Such a heavy tipping of the scales could only mean two things, of which Fíriel’s mother would be fast to point out the first: that Ar Zimraphel did not care at all for other people, for their comfort, or even for their lives. The second, however, which disquieted Fíriel the more she thought about it, was that Gimilzagar’s danger must be real and dire enough, for even his far-seeing mother to pile up double and triple insurance upon the success of her schemes.  

“You do not have to do it.” Eldest Uncle’s voice jolted her out of her musings. Surprised, she turned in his direction, and realized that he had been watching her frown, and guessing much of what lay underneath. Her head hung, for she was too ashamed to meet his gaze after what had happened. “The… lord of Andúnië will think of a solution, I’m sure.”

“No.” Fíriel replied. “I will not bring further danger to him, or to you. I will not bring further danger t-to anyone… ever.” To her horror, her voice broke, and her chest started shaking with sobs. Eldest Aunt embraced her quietly.

“Promise us that you will speak to him at least” her uncle insisted. “That you will carefully weigh all your options. You have powerful friends – powerful kin. You aren’t just a peasant who can be stolen away in the dead of the night.” Like the rest of us, he could have said, but it remained implied.

“Do not worry, Uncle. Of course I will speak with him. To – all of them”, she added, thinking in dismay of her mother’s reaction. The man nodded tersely.

“Good.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Up the cliff, the first reaction to Fíriel’s account was a thunderous silence, broken only by the muffled sound of footsteps over the marble floor as the lord of Andúnië stood from his seat and began pacing around the window. Fortunately, Isildur was not here, she had the wits to think a moment before Ilmarë also rose from her chair, and the storm was unleashed.

“You will go to Armenelos over my dead body”, she hissed. Fíriel’s eyes widened, as those words brought a sudden, terrible realization to her mind

“No, Mother. You cannot ask me to be responsible for your death.” For she would kill them too, any of them, if they interfered with her son’s survival. That must have been the true message behind the abduction of her other family: if she would go that far to be absolutely certain of the girl’s cooperation, what wouldn’t she do if she was thwarted? The King had respected the ancient nobility of the house of Andúnië, though they were exiles, but the King was not here, and the Queen had her own priorities. For someone who had lived in terror of Ar Pharazôn for the last years, it was the strangest feeling that she could wish he was back in the Island. “She only wants me.”

“Want you? Oh, yes, she wants you. She wants you to give her your honour, your freedom, your life, only so she can chew on them and spit them out when all the substance is spent. She has always wanted it, long before her precious son was ill. Now, she is agitating this as bait to lure you in, and threatening everyone around you to force you to comply. How can you fall for this? I thought we had taught you better!”

At least she had got her mother’s voice right, Fíriel thought, wryly.

“I couldn’t care less for why she is doing it, my lady. If there is a possibility that she would harm any of you…”

“She will not, because she is lying! She has pretended to be desperate around you, so you would believe her capable of anything. But let me tell you something, girl. Ar Zimraphel is never desperate. Only ordinary people who do not know what the future will bring can ever get to feel this emotion, and she is not among them!”

“But if she is not ordinary, how can you be so certain that you know what is inside her mind?” Fíriel knew she would be called naïve, but she did not care. She did not care at all. “What if she is afraid? What if she does need me?”

“Fíriel”. To her surprise, this time it was Lord Elendil who intervened. “You are not only worried about our danger, are you?”

His gaze was not accusing; when Fíriel met it, she could detect nothing but quiet understanding, and yet she could not help but grow red in the face. She tried to fumble with words, but she felt too distressed to speak.

Suddenly, she felt an arm on her shoulder, too unyielding to escape, and yet too gentle to reject. It was Lady Lalwendë, who had risen from her seat as soon as she perceived her distress.

“You should not be ashamed. We already know of your love for him, and we are aware of how difficult it is to control the impulses of our hearts, especially when we perceive the object of our affections to be in danger.”

Because, even though you know that people have to die for him to live, you desperately and selfishly want him to live, the Queen’s words reverberated in her mind, like a searing flash of lightning. Upset, she turned away from the comfort. She did not deserve it, she had never deserved it. She was an abomination, too.

“I love him” she said, in such a low voice that she even had difficulty hearing it. “But I shouldn’t. I shouldn’t think that his life is worth more than others.”

“And yet it is not worth less, either” Lord Amandil retorted. “True to his form, Sauron has created a diabolical dilemma here, one that cannot be easily solved. But the blame for this does not lie at Gimilzagar’s feet, nor does it lie at yours. And though I would by no means advocate thinking of those sacrificed people as mere collateral damage, neither would I want you to live with the idea that you brought them to the altar to die for saving the Prince, or that their lives should be on your conscience. Sauron brought them to the altar to die, brought them all in droves from the farthest corners of the world, for the Prince, for the King and Queen’s renewed youth, for the crops, for success in war or for the Island’s prosperity. If the Prince were to die, none of those prisoners would stop being driven across the world or shipped across the Sea. And if Sauron succeeds in turning him into an evil spirit in truth, as the Queen’s words implied, we might have an even greater problem in our hands than the one we have now.”

“Father makes an important point”, Elendil nodded. “You should never lose sight of where the blame truly belongs, for guilt, even righteous guilt, can be more easily manipulated than the clear awareness of the truth. If Ar Zimraphel wanted you to feel like a monster since the start of the conversation, you can be sure it was for a reason.”

“You are not a monster, Fíriel” Lady Lalwendë chimed in sympathetically. “You fell in love with a boy who was never given a choice of where he wanted to be born, or to whose parents. You showed him that a different world existed, and kept the spark of his goodness alive. If you keep it alive for longer, maybe, who knows? things may yet change for the Island in the future.”

Fíriel’s eyes prickled from unshed tears. It moved her that they would show her such kindness, and find it in themselves to care for her feelings despite their repugnance for the terrible practice of human sacrifice. That they would even go as far as to claim that her love for Gimilzagar was not evil, that it was not soiled by the blood of others but as pure and good as that of Lady Lalwendë for her husband, or as her late grandmother’s love for her grandfather.

But that is not true either, is it? an insidious voice whispered in her ear. In any of the senses of the word.

“I will not be allowed to… influence him” she objected. “I won’t be there as his betrothed, or his wife o-or in any position of honour. I will be... I will just be…”

“…the woman that he loves.” Lalwendë finished for her. “Do you remember when we learned the history of Ar Adunakhôr? Wife, concubine, lover… those are terms that depend only on the status with which you were born, not on the strength of your bond. No matter which one they apply to you, if the Prince loves you, they will know, and in time they will learn to see you as the true Princess of the West.”

“But…” Fíriel frowned. “But Ar Adunakhôr was the one who…”

“What Lalwendë means to say is that Ar Adunakhôr brought a great change to the Island, and that, in the Court, you could have a similar influence as his mother had, once upon a time. She was of humble origins, and so are you, though that didn’t matter much in the end” Amandil explained. “But she is not taking into account that in Ar Abattarîk’s time a demon did not yet live in the Palace, and those who opposed him did not meet their end slaughtered upon altars. If you wish to go, we will respect your decision, but you must understand that it won’t be easy. You will be a prisoner, you will be alone, and you will be in danger. You might not be able to see us, or your father’s family again. And none of us will expect you to throw your life away trying to bring change to Númenor in order to atone for your perceived sins.”

“Do not go, Fíriel. This is madness.” Ilmarë did not look belligerent anymore; instead, she had a beseeching look which Fíriel found much harder to withstand. “For all my life, I have been trying to protect you from this.”

“But you couldn’t.” Fíriel shook her head. “And now, I have to go.”

“You do not! You are here, under our protection, and if the Queen comes for you, it will raise a great scandal. We may be exiles, but we are still a noble family!”

Fíriel shook her head, frustrated. Of all the people gathered on this study, why was it her own mother, the one who seemed determined to ignore the truth? Was it because she could not bear to see herself reflected in her daughter?

“If you had been given a chance to save Father, would it have mattered to you whether there was danger, death or dishonour involved in it or not? Whether they were speaking the truth or not?” Ilmarë flinched, and she knew that the blow had hit home, though the satisfaction felt hollow. “If I have your leave, my lord, I would wish to go to Armenelos. Do not worry for the family’s honour, for I will deny all my ties with you. I will just be a peasant, the… same I have always been.”

“Just a peasant in the Court of Armenelos? I do not think so” Amandil shook his head, and for a moment Fíriel could not help but stare at him. “If you are going, you will be adopted into our family, and enter the Court as a lady from the house of Andúnië. That will not faze Sauron, or Ar Pharazôn, or the Queen. But at least it might count for something among the others.”

“But….” Fíriel did not even know what to say. “But then you…”

“I am an exile. I have no use for the respect of the Court, and it has been long since I had it anyway.” He turned away from the window through which he had been gazing, and his grey eyes looked past her, probably to meet those of his son. Then, however, they became fixed on hers, and Fíriel had to swallow a new, strong emotion, which she was not even able to tell apart from the many others she was feeling at the same time. “Consider it as my gift for the wedding that you will not have.”

Fíriel nodded, choking a sob.

The Reunion

Read The Reunion

Fíriel stood before the cliff, her eyes watching mesmerized as the waves broke under her feet. Behind their dull roar, she sometimes thought she could hear a voice, though whenever she tried to look, she was completely alone. If this had been one of Grandmother’s tales of seafaring adventures, it would have been the voice of the Lady of the Seas, trying to communicate with her. But this was a much darker story, and she knew that the Queen was inside her head even now.

“There is no need to torture me further”, she spoke defiantly to the empty air. “You shall have all that you want from me! I am going to Armenelos to save your precious son. Is that not enough for you?”

The voice did not reply to her words. Instead, Fíriel’s mind suddenly erupted with the images which crowded her dreams since the fateful night she was taken before Ar Zimraphel in Sor. She saw a small bed in the middle of a dark, tiny room, and the glow of a lamp fell upon the figure that lay upon it, curled in a fetal position and completely motionless. The first times, he had been violently tossing and turning under a mess of sheets. In an occasion or two, he even had to be held down between several men while he screamed, and she awoke covered in sweat, her heart wrenched and her throat hoarse from screaming with him. But then, he had stopped fighting, and that was a thousand times worse, because there was no longer the faintest spark of recognition, of life, in those dark eyes which had glowed in shy happiness after she kissed him, and brimmed with unshed tears when he said goodbye. It was as if he had retreated forever from her world, and left for a place where she could not follow.

But if that was so, she forced herself to think for the umpteenth time, releasing the anxiety in long, shuddering breaths, then the Queen would not have come for her. There had to be something she could do. There simply had to be.

Her departure had been set for the next day, after a busy week of legal manoeuvres to establish her provisional status as a full-fledged member of the House of Andúnië –a procedure where the Governor of Sor had only been able to act as a witness, since, as Lord Amandil had explained to her, the Sceptre still needed to confirm it-, preparations –she needed suitable clothes, shoes, jewellery, even a suitable perfume according to Lady Lalwendë’s Court expertise, if she did not want to be identified as a fisherwoman and treated accordingly-, and farewells that turned out to be more complicated than she had expected. Eldest Uncle and his family, who should have been glad that they would not be tracked and harassed anymore because of her, had seemed genuinely upset at her decision. They had tried to make her change her mind, even offering to leave the Island with her, which moved Fíriel to tears. But instead of treasuring those last moments in the village where she had grown, with the people she loved and loved her in return, she had spent each and every one of them in anguish, her soul rent by those visions used as a sting to spur her on. They had made her so desperate to leave, that some nights she had to repress the urge to steal away and take the road for Armenelos alone, even though her rational side knew that there was nothing she could do while Gimilzagar was still lost at sea.

As for the other side of her family, everything was more complicated still. Fíriel was aware that her mother was angry with her, since the day she refused to listen to her advice and called her out before her kinsmen for her hypocrisy. Ilmarë had barely spoken to her after this, leaving Lalwendë to fill her days with advice, gossip and chatter about anything and anyone Fíriel might meet at the Court. Even the other women had proved more talkative, though they were not her kin by marriage yet. The Lady Irimë had informed her of many ways in which she could subtly influence the Court to further the cause of the Faithful, which had got her into quite a few arguments with other members of Fíriel’s family. As for the Lady Irissë, she had tearfully declared her admiration for her because she followed her own heart like Lúthien, and was ready to sacrifice everything for the sake of true love. Fíriel was not sure if this was supposed to be as good as Isildur’s betrothed made it to be, but just like mortals when faced with the immortality of the Elves, it seemed that everybody always envied what they could not have. To say the truth, at this point of her life, Fíriel would have given anything in the world not to have met that annoying boy on the rocks of the beach South of Rómenna. Why couldn’t she have let someone else help him, or push him and laugh unkindly when he fell? That would have taught him not to disturb a world that was not his, and hardworking people who only strove to go on with their lives without Princes, Queens, Kings, Royal Nurses or Palace Guards striding all over the place and using them like pawns in their games. But no - she just had to be good-natured enough to lend him a hand, and this had sealed her fate.

How well you lie to yourself, Fíriel. Your fate was sealed much longer ago, before you were even born. Your attempts, and those of your mother, to subtract yourself from it only helped to bring it about.

Fíriel shivered, remembering the day Gimilzagar had invited her to go to Armenelos with him. How her terror at the prospect had turned into amazement and tearful relief when, against all her expectations, the spoiled heir to the throne of Númenor had understood her feelings and gave up on his wish, even though this would mean his own unhappiness.

I will always be your friend, Gimilzagar.

It had been that day, she realized. That day, as they held each other close and wept, she had started loving him, though she would not grow aware of it herself until much later. Ar Zimraphel had been right all along: it had been her attempts to subtract herself from her fate what had brought it to happen. She had been like a stupid fish thrashing against the net, only to become further entangled in it. And this had worked for her mother, too. Not very bright, the Queen had said of both of them.

“So. Your departure is scheduled for tomorrow morning, is it not?”

Startled out of her musings, and unable at first to tell apart the turmoil in her mind from the happenings of the real world, it took Fíriel some time until she realized that the Lady Ilmarë was standing behind her. She had spoken coldly, as she always did whenever they exchanged words these days. And yet, it was the first time that she had gone out of her way to look for Fíriel.

“Yes, Mother”, the girl answered carefully.

“I assume you were planning to say your farewells to me later in the evening.”

Fíriel blushed.

“O- of course, Mother.”

It could seem futile at this point, to try to mend something which would be taken away from her so soon, perhaps for ever. And yet, deep inside herself she was aware that, if they parted on bad terms, it would never stop haunting her. Perhaps Ilmarë had thought the same.

“Good. But just in case, I decided to look for you myself. In case you had –miscalculated the extent of the last preparations for your journey, I mean. I do not think we ever managed to impress upon you exactly how complicated the life of a highborn lady is, when she is required to act as such. But then again, we never thought you would be required to fulfil that role so soon. Or at such short notice.”

She was rambling, Fíriel realized. Or the closest to rambling that a lady from the house of Andúnië could ever be accused of.

“I am sorry, Mother” she cut her before the older woman could go on. “I am sorry for everything.”

This only silenced Ilmarë for a brief moment.

“I am worried about you. What am I saying? I have always been worried about you, ever since you were only a small seed inside my womb. But now, I am more worried than ever.”

Fíriel looked down, suddenly too shaken to meet her mother’s glance.

“I –I am sorry, Mother”, she repeated, unable to find any better words. She heard a soft snort.

“Do not be. You were quite right the other day.”

The girl looked up again, confused. Whatever she had expected to find in Ilmarë’s glance, it had not been the fierce light that shone in her eyes now.

“For all those years, I have never allowed my thoughts to go that far, because I knew that I would not like what I found in the darkest recesses of my mind. But you forced me to, and now I am aware of the truth”, Ilmarë went on. “You asked what would I have done if I had the chance to save Malik. And the answer is, anything. I would not merely have sacrificed my reputation or my wellbeing, but also that of others. If the choice had been mine, Isildur would have been the one to die for him, instead of the other way around. In fact, if I could go back now, and this decision was in my hands, I would make it, and I would not shed a single tear. Not much better than the Queen, am I?”

If she expected Fíriel to answer that question, the girl did not know how she could have managed such a thing. She was completely speechless.

“Many Númenóreans wish they could live longer lives. I want the opposite. Happiness is a fleeting feeling, gone in the blink of an eye, and what is the use of extending one’s life after that is gone?” She shrugged bitterly. “If you would sacrifice so much for the Prince of the West, he must make you happy. So go, tear him back from the shadows which have stolen him, hold him to your chest and love him while you can. And do not waste a single thought on me, on your family, on the Faithful, or on the barbarians who die upon altars of fire. Think only of yourself, and be happy. The rest is meaningless.”

As she spoke, Fíriel noticed that Ilmarë’s breath grew more laboured, and her voice deeper, as if she was at the brink of surrendering to a powerful emotion. But somehow, she managed to keep her composure, and only the unnatural brightness of her eyes betrayed her.

“Mother….” the young woman started, but the knot in her own throat proved too hard to swallow. She could not make sense of her own feelings at the moment: pity, fear, even a powerfully guilty relief were battling each other at such close quarters that it was impossible to know where one ended and the other began. “M-mother…” she tried again, but her voice dissolved, and her chest was racked by sobs, and a pair of arms was encircling her, as if she was the one in most need of comfort, a scathing voice whispered in the back of her mind.

Ilmarë did not remark upon this; instead, she held Fíriel until she cried herself out. Her own face remained dry throughout the process, and when she finally took out a handkerchief to wipe Fíriel’s cheeks, there was something in her gaze that did not let the girl forget that her advice, though not too different to that of Lalwendë, Amandil or Elendil, was coming from an infinitely darker place. And yet Fíriel understood it as she had never understood anything, at such a visceral level that she knew she had to be a horrible person too. This scared her, but at the same time it felt exhilarating.

“Be happy”, Ilmarë repeated, not as a fond wish of a mother, but as an injunction, like the kill your enemy or die by his hand that a barbarian from Harad would receive from his own kin before riding to the battlefield. And Fíriel nodded.

“I will” she said, as if she was sealing a promise, or an oath. “I will be happy, Mother.”

That night, for the first time in a week, she did not dream.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“My lord King.” The voice had risen just a little above the captain’s usual, reverentially quiet tone, and Ar Pharazôn knew that it was not the first time it had addressed him. Perhaps not even the second.

“What?” he barked, trying to hide the brief moment of disorientation until he regained his bearings. “Why are you bothering me?”

“Númenor, my lord King. We can see it in the horizon already. We will be docking at the harbour of Sor in about an hour.”

“And you need me to conduct the manoeuvre for you?” he asked. Aghast, the man shook his head, but Pharazôn did not even let him open his mouth. “Then, I will repeat my question, why are you bothering me, entering these quarters against my direct orders?”

“Please forgive me, my lord King.” The captain bowed so low that his forehead almost collided against the gently rocking floor under their feet. “I have made a grievous mistake. I did not intend…”

“And you are still here. Will you stop grovelling and go back to your duties, or do I have to silence you myself?”

The wretched man did not need to be told again: like a resort, he jumped to his feet and hurried through the door of the cabin, shutting it in his wake. Once he was gone, Pharazôn dropped the pretence, and his eyes reluctantly fell on the body lying on the bed at the other side of the room. Just as he had feared, he had not moved an inch from the position he had adopted long before Pharazôn fell asleep.

It had been bad enough when he kicked and screamed, and every soldier on his side of the encampment, every accursed merchant living near the Magistrate’s palace in Umbar and every sailor in the ship had been able to hear his cries. But once he had stopped moving, a cold dread had settled on Pharazôn’s stomach, making him long for Gimilzagar to move again, to cry out, to make noise –anything but this still apathy, which appeared to his eyes like an ominous prelude of death.

The King of Númenor smothered a groan, burying his face in the palm of his hands. Stupid child. Was it truly worth it to go this far, only to get back at his father? Had there been no other way to hurt him than this?

No, Pharazôn, there was no other way, the voice of Zimraphel hissed angrily in his mind. You made sure of that. He could choose between playing the role you devised for him or leaving the stage. You left him no escape. You forced him into this, and now he is lying there because of you.

But that was wrong. He had never wanted things to come to this. True, when he was dealing with Gimilzagar, Ar Pharazôn had often been thinking as a ruler, more than as a father. How could he have been expected to do otherwise? The boy was his only heir, he had to make sure that he followed in his footsteps for the good of Númenor. He had not been particularly happy with his son’s newfound rebellious streak, this he had to admit, but he was not unreasonable. If Gimilzagar had his own ideas on how to manage the Númenórean empire, he could propose them, and if he had different strengths and abilities, as he had proved in their visit to the kingdom of the Seres, he was welcome to use them, but he could not be weak. Weakness was not a matter of opinion: it was simply unacceptable, and had to be eradicated. What would become of Númenor under a King who grew sick at the sight of blood and felt sorry for his enemies? Gimilzagar might resent him, even hate him for not being like his ever-loving mother, or the women who fawned over him and took care not to cause him the slightest discomfort. If he could do the same as them, Pharazôn would have done so, as even for the most battle-hardened man there was something instinctively repulsive in the idea of kicking a wounded animal. He would have left Gimilzagar to his devices, to bed all the fisherwomen who caught his fancy, and while his days away in blissful unawareness of the things which had to be done so he could enjoy his quiet life. He would not have to know that the Faithful conspired, that barbarians revolted, that soldiers battled, and that their borders and colonized territories were constantly threatened by savage peoples who were only kept at bay by the tribute system and their belief in the godhood –or demonhood, Pharazôn no longer felt the need to split hairs over that- of the King of Númenor. And then, when Pharazôn’s life could no longer be extended by Zigûr’s sorcery, he would pass under the Meneltarma, and abdicate all responsibility for the hell that followed together with the Sceptre which would be torn from his dead hands. Loved in life and hated in death, would that not be so wonderfully convenient?

There are several ways to make a man immortal, Zigûr had whispered to another Pharazôn, long ago, in the darkness of an underground cell in Armenelos. Those words had been brought back to his mind recently, by Gimilzagar himself of all people, as they rode across the valleys of Northern Seria.

Why don’t you ask Lord Zigûr, Father? He said that he knew the secret of immortality.

Had this been a mere show of insolence, as he thought back then? Or a plea to be left alone? Whatever it had been, Pharazôn had refused to consider it seriously, just as he had always done in the past. It was bad enough to have Gimilzagar’s life hanging from the thread of Zigûr’s sacrifices, and no one resented this dangerous weakness more than the King of Númenor. To become subject to this uncertainty himself, to give Zigûr such a hold over him, the only man who could force the demon to work for the interests of the Sceptre, would skew the balance of power a little too much for his liking.

But then, he thought in renewed dismay, if Gimilzagar was unable to escape this vicious circle, would there be any difference? Even now, in the bitter watches of the night, as he tried to force cups of liquid through the young man’s cold lips, all he could think of was that they had to reach Zigûr in time. That he was the only one who could bring his son back to life and consciousness with his magic. And deep inside Pharazôn also knew, though this knowledge hurt as a sword through his stomach, that anything the fiend demanded from him, he would do. For in Seria he was a god, tall and frightening, but between the four walls of this cabin, he was a terrified father. And Zigûr, damn him, was aware of this, just like he had been aware of his fear for Zimraphel decades ago.

As if from a world away, the King of Númenor heard the cries of the sailors, alerting him that the docking manoeuvres were already underway. He should have been getting ready for his triumphal landing before the crowd of Sor, but neither the captain nor any of his own men had dared disturb him again. And to say the truth, Pharazôn had never felt less inclined to humour the crowd than he was feeling now. If they wanted to watch a spectacle, they could go to the theatre and pay for their seats. He was not there to serve as entertainment for dockhands, prostitutes, and servants of merchants, who, no matter how much pains he took to appear like the perfect image of the golden conqueror, would still be gazing behind him and wondering about the Prince of the West’s whereabouts. Whenever he thought of the ludicrous stories that would be circulating about Gimilzagar before the sun had set –even worse, of the reaction of the Faithful in nearby Rómenna once the news managed to spread there- he felt the unseemly urge to call on his troops from the hill of Sor and wipe them out like vermin, Amandil or no.

Suddenly, his angry thoughts were interrupted by a faint groan coming from the sickbed. He discarded them at once, and leaned closer to his son’s bedside. Gimilzagar had still not moved, so for a moment he thought that his imagination had played a trick on him. Just as he was going to look away, however, he heard it again.

“What is it?” he asked. He received no response. “What is it, Gimilzagar? Talk to me!”

But the Prince of the West did not answer to his query, no matter how many times he repeated it. After a while, the feeling of impotence grew so strong that he had to forcefully prevent himself from shaking his son until his bones rattled.

Had it been just an illusion, brought forth by a mind which was growing mad from day after day of silence and inaction? Or had Gimilzagar given the first sign of life in a long time? And if it was so, what could have coaxed this reaction out of him? Had he somehow felt the proximity of the Island, or was it his father’s thoughts what he had perceived? Pharazôn had been thinking of harming the people of Rómenna, where his girlfriend lived. However ludicrous it sounded, the King would not put it past his son to react to this, after every one of his own pleas had crashed as if against a wall of stone. He bristled in frustration. Was he supposed to threaten people until Gimilzagar deigned to acknowledge his words?

Keep doing the same thing that brought you to this situation in the first place, Pharazôn. Very good, Zimraphel’s sarcastic voice complimented him. The boy is drowning, and all you can think of is adding more water to the well. What happened to you? You have always lacked the foresight of our line, but at least you were not such a fool before.

Pharazôn massaged his temples, trying to keep the dull pain of a growing headache away. Then, he opened his eyes and gazed back at Gimilzagar, but the boy had neither stirred, nor spoken. Taken by a sudden burst of activity, he stood up, walked towards the wall of the cabin and pressed his forehead against it. Wood, however, was not as cool as stone, and the feverish heat would not stop throbbing against his skin.

He was not a fool. It was worse than that, he realized: he was desperate. In his life, he had always been able to solve unsolvable problems, achieve his objectives and strategize his way to victory, no matter how difficult it had looked. This sheer impossibility to bend the world to his will was something he had never felt until Zimraphel grew pregnant with Gimilzagar, but from then on it had hounded his footsteps like a curse. For years at a time, it would hide, pretend that it had disappeared forever, that he was back in control, only to spring upon him when he least expected it.

“I should have followed my instincts, Zimraphel. We should never have had him.”

That has an easy solution, doesn’t it? Just let Nature follow its course. This was not her voice, but a strange voice that resembled that of Lord Zigûr, yet lacked its courteous subservience. But you would never do that, do you? In spite of all, you still love him. And that makes you just as weak as he is.

When the ship entered the Arms of the Giant and docked in the harbour of Sor, Ar Pharazôn had still not come out of Gimilzagar’s cabin.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Despite his most destructive thoughts, Ar Pharazôn still found it in himself to perform his various duties. He met with the Governor of Sor and his Council, discharged his veterans, and even rode through the city of Sor and into the Armenelos road without letting his inner turmoil betray him before the million eyes that followed his every movement. Still, he did not tarry in any of those places, and conducted his business in a brisk and impatient manner that allowed those who dealt closely with him to perceive his urgency, brimming close to the surface. No one said anything about it; most out of fear, others –very few- out of sympathy. All they had been allowed to know was that Gimilzagar was ill, but not the extent or the gravity of his ailment. The Prince’s palanquin was kept tightly covered by day, and his rooms locked at night to prevent the worst of the rumours, and no one was allowed access to him except for the King himself and his two most trusted aides. Gimilzagar had not emitted any further sounds, articulate or not, since they had taken him out from the ship, something which, while worrying in itself, had one positive consequence: no one could hear him screaming.

By the time their party reached the capital, however, Pharazôn’s impatience had grown so much that he found it harder and harder to resign himself to the slow pace of proper ceremony. Gimilzagar had not ingested any solid or liquid nourishment for more than seven days now, and his weak constitution had no strength left to combat the havoc wrought by his mind. When the King saw the gleaming tiles of the Palace rise atop the hill, the knowledge that Zigûr was there at that very moment spurred him on, and it became difficult to suppress morbid thoughts of Gimilzagar dying right before the threshold of salvation. He rode fast, did not send heralds to announce his presence before he crossed the walls of Armenelos, as it was customary whenever he returned from the mainland, or appeared before the gathered Council. He even ordered both the sacrifices and the victory ceremony in the Great God’s temple to be postponed until the next day, under the pretext that the omens had not been favourable.

When they finally crossed the gates of the Palace, Ar Zimraphel was there to receive him at the head of her assembled Court, a crown of white gems sitting in her brow, and the Sceptre of Númenor in her hand. Pharazôn dismounted before her, half-prepared to be met by hostility, but she had not been lying when she assured him that she was in control of all her demons. Her welcome was grand and regal, and her only acknowledgement of Gimilzagar’s condition came with orders to take him to the West wing at once, to be looked after by the Palace healers and his devoted ladies until her duties allowed her to tend to him personally. The Court seemed fooled by this, for they proceeded towards the Fountain Garden to partake in the welcoming celebration with the same frivolous eagerness they customarily displayed.

Pharazôn, however, had no eyes for anything or anyone, save for the purple-clad figure who stood at Zimraphel’s right. As soon as he could, he made a beeline for him, and motioned at him to follow his footsteps towards an empty gallery. When their entourage tried to follow, he barked at them to stay back, which earned him a reproachful glance from the Queen.

“My lord King, you seem to be driven by a great urgency”, the High Priest remarked. Pharazôn’s chest was brimming with rage; it was very long since he remembered being this angry at his main advisor.

“I have no wish to play your games today” he cut him before he could keep talking. “Save my son, or I will drag you to the altar of your own god, and find out how many times your body can regenerate after its guts have been taken out and thrown into the fire.”

There was no way to know if Zigûr was truly frightened by this threat or just pretending to be, but at that point, Ar Pharazôn found that he did not even care.

“The Prince of the West is not dying of external causes, my lord King. He is… killing himself.”

Pharazôn threw him against the tiled wall of the gallery. Without the accompanying groan of pain that a human would have known how to make, however, the feeling was only half-satisfying.

“You told me to take him to Middle Earth. I followed your advice, and that is why he is in this situation now. People have been executed for treason for much less.”

“I can understand your anger, my lord King. And yet, a newly-minted blade has to be tested, to see if it can withstand the pressure of battle without shattering. If you had not taken him to Middle Earth, you would never have known of this terrible flaw until it was too late to act. And then, not only the Prince, but also Númenor would have paid the price.”

Even in the middle of the rage-induced haze, Pharazôn noticed something in Zigûr’s wording, and found himself sticking avidly to it.

“Too late to act?” he repeated. “To act how? What can you do to solve the problem? I swear, if you tell me to just let him die…”

“No, my lord King.” Zigûr’s tone was placating. “Please, let me finish. I can help the Prince to overcome this. Now that the weak points of his soul have been revealed, now that we know where and what they are, I can heal them, just like a physician needs to poke and prod until he can know what is broken.”

“So, are you claiming that you are trying to heal his… soul? He almost died out there!”

“He almost died because of flaws he has been carrying within him, ever since he was born. Flaws which have made him, and you, unhappy in the past, which have posed a risk to him even, though their true magnitude had never been revealed until now. Let me intervene in his soul, extract the poison that festers in his mind, and he will never be weak again.”

“And why should I trust you? You kept him alive in the past, but at what price? He has been living a half-life, continuously needing to rely on others to survive. And now you offer to interfere with his soul to save him from something you could have prevented from happening!”

“You needed an heir for Númenor!” Zigûr claimed. “I can give you one!”

Pharazôn was tired of so many secrets and manipulations, but he was also painfully aware that Gimilzagar was dying. If Zigûr could save him, whatever his methods were, this meant that Zigûr had the upper hand, again. No matter what excuses, what convoluted explanations he gave, Pharazôn would have to accept them, and pretend to be merciful in a pathetic attempt to save face.

Still, he also had to admit that this conversation was not exactly going the way he had intended. Zigûr had saved the boy’s life before, but it had always been a matter of knowing what rites to perform to make his body whole again. That the High Priest of Melkor would need to act on Gimilzagar’s soul too was - unprecedented. And, despite the fact that, outwardly, this seemed to answer every yearning that Pharazôn had ever had, of his son turning into a strong and proper heir, there was something in the idea that he found disquieting.

“If that is true”, he asked, “why is it that you have never spoken of it until now?”

“Because you would have refused to acknowledge how deeply the problem ran, my lord King.” Zigûr replied, without skipping a beat. “You would have thought that you could simply teach him better and he would learn eventually, as any father would.”

“What do you know about fatherhood, you miserable vermin!” Pharazôn hissed, incensed by his presumption.

“I do know that the Prince is too weak to withstand the demands of his station, that he has inherited the curse of Ar Sakalthôr, whose son had to rule in his stead, and that he is not strong enough to master it as his mother did. His mind, his whole soul is in rebellion against his body, and this is slowly but inexorably pushing him to his death. Unless those weaknesses are made to disappear, making his body strong will not avail him anything, for sooner or later he will still die. And I know enough of fatherhood and motherhood from observing you and the Queen, my lord King. Gimilzagar is so precious to you that the mere thought of his death is unbearable to either of you. For you made him, just as Fëanor made the Silmarils for which he was willing to defy all the powers of Arda.”

It was quite ironic that he would be reminded of Amandil now, of all people. And even more so that the thread of this remembrance would bring him back to the Mordor campaign, to the encampment that Pharazôn had erected to lay siege on this very creature’s daunting fortress. He recalled the darkness of that land, the anguish of breathing its charged air, and the fell wind that blew the ashes on their faces and made them cough. Above all, he recalled his old friend’s obsession with the nightmares that tortured him at night, his fears that Pharazôn would be held in a trance as soon as he committed the imprudence of gazing into his enemy’s eyes, and become a kind of puppet with no willpower of his own. Pharazôn had not lost his willpower, but now Zigûr –Sauron, as he had been called back then- was asking for permission to do something to his son that might alter his for ever. Even knowing that Gimilzagar could otherwise be lost to him, he hesitated. What if under the noble pretext of saving the Prince and turning him into a proper ruler of Númenor lay something as sinister as Amandil had predicted? What if he only wanted to control the heir to the Sceptre, like a puppet with which to gain a foothold on the throne? What if he had not bewitched Pharazôn only because he was biding his time until he could control his heir?

Zimraphel. He had been trying to avoid having to do this, but it was inevitable. No matter how angry she was at him, he had to seek her. She was the only one left in the whole Island whose advice could possibly avail him now.

“I will speak to the Queen first”, he said, with as much dignity he could muster. Even as he did so, he felt the anguish of turning his back on his source of help –a delay, he knew, which would torture him for as long as it lasted, with pangs of excruciating uncertainty and doubt expertly designed to renew themselves at every passing minute that Gimilzagar remained in danger. “She is - more knowledgeable about those things than I am, and might be able to come up with something.”

“As you wish, my lord King.” And Zigûr, of course, knew it too. “But please, do not take long. The Prince is in a rather precarious state. His consciousness is gone, and the connection between his body and his soul is almost lost.” He looked almost sincerely regretful. “He might not last the night.”

“If he does not, neither will you”, Pharazôn growled, barely managing to cover his turmoil for as long as it took him to force himself to depart.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

By the time he reached Zimraphel, and asked in a curt voice to speak to her in private, Ar Pharazôn’s patience was almost definitely gone. She, on the other hand, seemed quite calm, and for a moment the long overdue feeling of unreality got hold of him. Could she have lost her abilities? Was she as ignorant of what was taking place in the West wing of the Palace as those chattering courtiers who drank and celebrated around them, or was it him, the one who had imagined everything? Had all those sleepless nights, on his tent and on the ship, been nothing but one long, mad nightmare?

“Come” she said, motioning for him to follow across the courtyard and through the galleries and corridors leading to Gimilzagar’s rooms. As she did not dismiss her ladies, however, he was not free to ask her for what she knew. To compound his feelings of impotence, her pace was so slow that the Palace suddenly appeared larger to him than the immense plains of Middle Earth.

At last, she told the women to stay behind, and entered the dark antechamber with him.

“Zimraphel…” he began, wondering if she would make him say it. Her footsteps paused, and she fixed a stormy gaze on him.

“I entrusted you with my son, Pharazôn. I gave him to you, because you said that you would keep him safe.” Her voice was as cold as the islands of the legendary Ice Bay. “Because I assumed that you knew that his abilities should not be taken lightly, and that you understood how different Gimilzagar and I are from other people. But as it turns out, you hold them in such contempt that you thought you could simply beat them out of him if you punished him enough. Or worse, use them to awe a bunch of barbarians, as if he was a trained beast on display in the marketplace of Sor!”

She was right, in every word that she said, and yet Pharazôn did not like to be attacked.

“And what about you? Where has your fabled foresight gone? Shouldn’t you have known what would happen before we left? And yet you did not raise any objections when I took him. Could it be that you wanted this to happen?”

She snorted in contempt.

“Do you even have the slightest understanding of our powers? Or you are just interested in them when it is convenient to you, because you need them to play your tricks or to lay the blame on others? Do not make mistakes; I am not one of your generals, whom you can attribute the responsibility for your defeats so you can remain invincible. This is your fault, Pharazôn, and no one else’s. And if the person lying in the other room was not my own son, I would invite you to watch him die, so you could feel the same pain that you put him through.”

“Zigûr says that he can save him”, he retorted, trying to sound surer about this than he felt. Zimraphel’s eyes narrowed.

“Oh, yes, Zigûr! I know what he has promised you: your son back, not just alive, but also strong, compliant to your will, and without any of those bothersome weaknesses that he inherited from me. A perfect heir for Ar Pharazôn the Golden of Númenor!” She laughed mirthlessly. “He would also not be our son any longer, but why should that matter to you?”

“It matters to me!” he yelled. The people at the inner chamber must have all heard his voice, but he did not care. His humiliation stung enough as it was. “That is why I am here. To –ask for your help.”

She raised an eyebrow now.

“By accusing me of wishing the death of my own son?”

“No one wishes his death!” he shouted, but even as the words left his mouth, he was aware that he would need more if he wanted to placate her. “Please, Zimraphel. I am sorry. You are right, it was my fault. I- I did this to him.”

“Yes. You did.”

His temples were starting to throb again.

“Do you want me to grovel?”

She seemed to be briefly pondering it.

“No. But from now on, you will let me decide what is best for Gimilzagar.”

Pharazôn’s capacity for argument had been exhausted in the last hours, to such a degree that he could not even muster the barest smatterings of it needed to argue this point. All that truly mattered to him was that, as he looked into her eyes, he saw pride, a perfect armour of self-righteousness, and confidence. Though he did not know how she might achieve such a feat, he knew that this meant that somewhere, somehow, their son would be safe, and the shameful relief he felt as he held on to this notion was so great that he would not only have agreed to anything she had asked, but also swallowed all the accusations his mind could come up with, just as he would have done with Zigûr before.

“Come in” she ordered. He followed her into their son’s inner chamber, wondering what he would see lying on the bed. Zimraphel had not been there before him; perhaps she was going to do something now to bring Gimilzagar back before Pharazôn’s own eyes. He braced himself for what he might see, hope battling with dread.

The only person who was already in the room when they entered was a woman, whose hunched form was huddling over the bedstead. Her hands were holding Gimilzagar’s, and she was muttering something, if a song or some kind of prayer, Pharazôn could not tell. As soon as she realized that they were there, she jumped in fright and tried to struggle to her feet, but Zimraphel prevented her with an authoritative voice.

He froze. That girl was…

“Zimraphel, what is she doing here?” he asked, unable to believe what his eyes were seeing. That wretch from Rómenna had some audacity showing her face in the Palace, he thought, before it dawned on him that the Queen must have summoned her.

“Look at your son” Zimraphel said, instead of answering his question. Pharazôn walked the steps that separated him from the bedside, and as he did so, he could feel Amandil’s bastard flinch instinctively. He ignored her, focusing on the Prince instead.

At first, the King of Númenor could notice no changes. Gimilzagar was lying as still as he had left him, and his eyes remained closed. But just as he was going to open his mouth to say so, the girl- Fíriel, he remembered belatedly- grew bold enough to hold the Prince’s hand again. Calling his name several times, in a voice so soft that he had difficulty hearing it, she leaned forwards and pressed her lips against the pale fingers. All of a sudden, Gimilzagar stirred.

“Fíriel” he mumbled in a cavernous voice, as if he was a spirit back from the threshold of death. “Fíriel.”

The girl’s breath caught in a sob, and Pharazôn realized that she was crying softly.

“Gimilzagar”, she called him. “I am here. Gimilzagar.”

“Witness a power greater than Zigûr’s sorcery, Pharazôn”, Zimraphel spoke, reaching his side. “A power you wouldn’t even have given a moment’s consideration. Or perhaps just enough to decide that she could not be allowed to interfere with your son’s growth into a strong and heroic ruler.”

“But she is…”

“She is under my protection”, Zimraphel interrupted him. “And as long as Gimilzagar needs her by his side, neither you, nor Zigûr, your Guards or your priests will lay a finger on her. Do you understand?”

Pharazôn breathed very deeply. He had been feeling wrongfooted since so long ago that he could no longer remember, but now, this sensation had given way to sheer defeat. Anything he could do, anything he could say at this point was meaningless. She had won, and both knew it. Whatever she had been seeking with her manoeuvres, she had got it now.

 “As long as she is able to keep him alive”, he mumbled, uselessly, as he turned away from them and stormed out of the room.

 

Back to Life

Read Back to Life

Gimilzagar shivered, struggling with his bonds in an attempt to escape the unbearable heat that burned his skin. As it happened whenever he tried this, however, he was unable to move an inch from his position, and his wrists and ankles were so raw from his previous attempts that he had to bite back a groan of pain. Behind the sweaty haze that veiled his eyes, he could see the shadows moving about in the darkness cast by the bright glow of the flames. They had not even noticed his struggles, too busy with the argument which had been absorbing their attention since so long ago he could no longer remember. At first, he had been listening breathlessly, because they were deciding his fate, but at some point he had understood the difficulty, perhaps the impossibility, of so many ever being of one mind.

At first, too, what terrified him most of all was the idea of them sinking the sacrificial blade on his exposed flesh, of his blood being carefully gathered in a cup as he writhed and spasmed, until there was no life left in him to feel the pain. Now, he was even more afraid to lie on this altar, feeling the bonds cut into his limbs, unable to move or to step away from the searing heat of the fire while they argued for eternity. At a certain point, something in him had snapped, and he had begged for death, but they threatened to cut his tongue if they heard him make another sound. Gimilzagar had believed he was ready to die, but somehow he was not ready for that. So he had not begged again, and even stopped making sounds, too frightened to attract their attention.

The main disagreement seemed to be about whether it was more advisable to kill him or to keep him alive. Sacrificing him on the spot and drinking his blood had been the preferred option of many, who had been loud enough about it as to make him think they would win the day. Zebedin had been among them; Gimilzagar had recognized him when he claimed that he should be the one to wield the blade, for he alone had tried to kill the abomination while it was still alive, and died a martyr. But then, her voice had risen above all the others, causing them to fall silent. She had been a princess in life, and even in death she still carried an invisible mantle of authority which made others listen to her. She had claimed that, as soon as they killed him, no matter how satisfying the act was, Gimilzagar would escape them. He would truly cease to exist, as they would have if they had not been prevented by the black magic that tied their souls to his. But then, perhaps, if he leaves this world, we will be able to follow him too, an old man had chimed in, in a hopeful tone. We will no longer be tied to this bleak existence. And when we stand before the judges of the dead, we will accuse him and justice will finally be done. We will be admitted in the garden of Haradu, while he will be tormented for eternity.

Many voices had been raised in agreement with this, but even more had chosen to back the Princess. The Haradrim, despite their barbaric customs, had been in contact with the Númenóreans for long, and many of them had notions of an afterlife where some kind of divine justice was dispensed. The people of Rhûn, however, did not believe in any such thing. For some of them, death was the annihilation of the soul, while others thought that they would be reborn into the world under a different identity, with no recollection of what had happened, or the evils they had suffered. None of those groups could conceive of justice after death, which was why they believed they had to take it with their own hands.

Think of his father, the son of the Princess argued, in his usual, forceful way. If this wretch dies, he will grieve, but after the burial, he will forget. But if we keep his spawn here, he cannot bury him. He will have to see his face every day, a pitiful being who is dead to the world, but still remains breathing, and suffers for every instant of it. And then he will know that we, too, are powerful.

Perhaps he will kill his son himself, someone suggested, with a vindictive glee in their voice. If we can drive him to do that, our revenge will be complete. And you would still be able to go to your precious garden in the end.

No! Gimilzagar knew this voice very well, though he had forgotten the young man’s name. He was Zebedin’s friend, the one who had advanced on him with the knife while Zebedin tried to hold Fíriel. You are making a terrible mistake. The King of Númenor keeps a demon in his palace, who wields magic as black as his heart. You have no idea of how cunning and mighty he is! If we do not kill him right now, they will reach the Island, and then we will be powerless against this creature. Unless we act quickly, he will snatch the Prince away from our grasp, and we will be back to our long and bitter servitude!

Gimilzagar was not allowed to make a sound, but even if he had been, he did not know what he could have said. For what seemed like an eternity, he had been watching the shadows around him, their faces, their expressions, their voices as they spoke of their experiences and argued with each other. He recognized some of them, but most he had never seen in his life. They were men and women from every age, walk in life, and corner of the world, united only by one common misfortune: they had all died because of him. If he tried to claim that he had not killed any of them, that he had not even wanted them to die, and that it had been Lord Zigûr and Father who had wronged them, they would not listen. If he begged for their forgiveness, or their mercy, they would laugh in his face. If you had any decency, you would have killed yourself long ago, a woman from Rhûn spat at him, one of the last times he had tried to struggle against his bonds. You had twenty-two years to prove that you had a human soul, and you blew your chance. Now, it is too late: the decision is no longer in your hands.

The decision is always in your hands, Gimilzagar. He froze, for it was his father who was speaking to him now, and he should not be dead. The deep horror and doubt he felt at this sight made him think that they had found a brand new way to torment him. You are not dead, either. You are here only because you want to be. Because you believe that you should be tied to this altar, meekly awaiting the verdict of a bunch of weak cowards who could not touch you in life. You are so gutless that you could not even put an end to your own existence, oh no; you had to call them in, have them put you in bonds and let them decide how they will deal with you. This is your own mind, Gimilzagar! At least you could imagine yourself spitting on their faces and telling them that they are pathetic beings who strike at you because they would never be able to do the same to me!

Spurred on by those words, he tried to struggle again, only to realize that his bonds were as real as they had been moments before, and that their bite against his delicate skin remained just as painful. Momentarily forgetting his orders not to make a noise, he cried out, and soon enough several shadows stood before him. One of them had a twisted grin, and one of his hands travelled towards his face to grab his chin. His other hand held a knife, which gleamed with the reflection of the flames.

“Please, no”, Gimilzagar begged. You are wrong, Father. I do not want to be here. I do not want to be in pain. I do not want to die. Please, save me!

But Ar Pharazôn just shook his head in disgust.

I tried to make you strong. But I should have known that it would end like this. Farewell, Gimilzagar. You were my son once, and I do not wish to see how they tear you apart.

Mother! he cried, his fear finally erupting into a full-fledged panic. If he could see his father, then she should also be there, somewhere. She loved him, she would never leave him to die, would she? Why couldn’t she see her? Mother, please!

Yes, call her, the man who had approached him smiled. He was the son of the Princess of the Seres, Gimilzagar realized belatedly, the only one who had died by his own hand. The one who hated him the most. She can watch this, just as I was forced to watch while my mother’s throat was slit. Call her, abomination, and I will let you keep your tongue for a little longer.

“Stop it! Leave him alone!”

This new voice was so familiar that Gimilzagar wanted to cry when he heard it. Suddenly, there was a great stir around him, as the shadows were pushed away before the advance of the newcomer. Angry shouts rent the air at this audacity, but she did not let herself be moved by them. She only stopped when she reached the altar, and her eyes widened in pity and shock at Gimilzagar’s state. She kissed his forehead, caressed his face over and over in an attempt to comfort him, but she could not undo his bonds, and he could not embrace her, though he had never felt such a powerful longing to do anything in his life.

“Fíriel” he mumbled, his mind too numb, and his voice too broken to say anything else. “Fíriel.”

What are you doing here? the barbarian prince asked, incensed. He is ours now. You are not allowed to interfere.

“You cannot stop me. You are dead. All of you are dead.”

And yet we are still here, haunting his steps. Kept against our will, but waiting for an opportunity. Sooner or later, we knew this moment would arrive, and no one will deny us, not even you.

She is my cousin. It was Zebedin, and he could feel her tense when she heard him. When I tried to kill this abomination, she hindered me, and I failed in my attempt. She chose him over her own flesh and blood, and did not shed a tear when they executed me.

“That is not true!” She sounded upset now. “I tried to save you! I… I saved our family!”

And doomed our families into the bargain, one of his accomplices snorted. She shook her head.

And us, a barbarian woman followed suit. If you had not saved him, we would not be here now. But we will not let you save him a second time.

You are alive. You have no business in this place. Leave! the princess of the Seres ordered.

“But Gimilzagar is alive, too”, Fíriel replied. “It is you, who should not be here. I will not let you hurt him”, she added, defiantly.

Then you will die with him.

In renewed urgency, Fíriel returned to her attempts to undo the knots that kept Gimilzagar tied to the altar. She tried to cut them with her teeth, to pull them with her hands until they were bleeding like his, all to no avail. Meanwhile, the shadows were drawing closer to her, and she began to shiver, as if their presence was making her feel cold. At some point, he could feel the rhythm of her breathing grow laboured, and when a hand grabbed her shoulder, she let go of a scream.

This finally electrified Gimilzagar into action.

“Please, leave her alone. Please!”, he begged. “She did nothing wrong. I am the one you have grievances against, not her. Let her go, and you can do w-whatever you want to me. Is that not your dearest wish?”

“Shut up!” she scowled at him, pulling desperately at the rope on his wrist. “I will never leave you!”

I cannot understand you. Zebedin spoke again. Why do you keep doing this? Why are you on his side? Don’t you know who he is, and what he has done? He does not deserve your love, your loyalty, or your life. Even he knows it!

Gimilzagar tensed. The young peasant was right. Even before he killed that man in the capital of Seria, he remembered, Fíriel had often been in his dreams, and she definitely had not been on his side. She was angry, accusing, as she should be after finding out that she had risked her life and doomed her cousin to save a monster, who needed to feed on the souls of others to survive.

“I do not know if he deserves them, Zebedin” Fíriel spoke then. His breath caught in his throat. “All I know is that he has them.” Her efforts increased, and she groaned as the rugged surface of the rope slid again over her already wounded palm. But instead of dropping it, she wrapped it around her hands to heave even harder. All of a sudden, the rope broke, and she let go of a cry of triumph.

Not so fast. The shadows were so close now that even Gimilzagar, who had been feeling nothing but excruciating heat throughout his ordeal, could feel the cold. You still have to go through us.

“Grab my waist, Gimilzagar, and do not let go of me no matter what” she hissed in his ear, as she helped him up. “Do you understand? No matter what.

“I cannot let you die for my sake!” he protested. She turned back, and slapped him across the face. Belatedly, he remembered how much it had hurt when they were children and she had first done this; now, he had grown so used to pain that only the shock registered.

“Then don’t be an idiot! This is all happening because you wanted to die! So stop wanting to die and I will not die with you!”

Too confused to answer, Gimilzagar let her grab his hands and arrange them into the position she wanted. When he felt her shaking body against his, however, and perceived the terror hidden behind her resolute demeanour, he could not help but tighten his grip on her.

Was he the one doing all this with his mind, as his father had claimed? But then, how was it that he could not save himself? Why couldn’t he save her? How could the one person he would not bear to see hurt be in danger, not from his enemies, but from him?

Because you have the rare gift of destroying everything you touch. Murderer.

Oh, let him go, the Princess smiled. Let him go, and he can wake on his bed to see her dead by his side. I would never have thought of this idea myself.

“No!” he cried, horrified, holding to Fíriel for dear life. As if from a great distance, he heard her screaming, and felt her beginning to slip away from his arms, but he still held on, with a strength that he did not even know he possessed. Suddenly, amid the turmoil, he thought he saw an opening, an unguarded space where the crowd of shadows grew thin. Fíriel had not seen it, for she was too busy struggling with the souls of the dead who wanted to drag her away. He tried to draw her attention towards it, but she would not respond.

There was nothing for it. Gathering all his remaining forces, Gimilzagar took both her hands, and pulled her away from her attackers. Then, still shaking, his heart beating, he led her out of the fray, towards the distant promise of freedom.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel jumped on her seat, startled away from her slumber by a sound coming from the nearby bed. As always, her first reaction after the brief spell of disorientation was one of anxiety, and she immediately leaned forwards to check on Gimilzagar. He was stirring under the covers, as if he was having a restless dream, but his breath was regular, and his temperature had not risen. Relieved, she leaned back again, studying his features in the half-light.

He was here. Alive. After being so close to losing him for ever, Fíriel could not have her fill of looking at him, and if she lost sight of him for just one hour, she would fly into a panic. Though she had seen the look in the eyes of the women who frequented the Court of Armenelos, and knew perfectly well what they were thinking, not to mention what they would gossip about whenever they were not feigning a politeness that was too exquisite to be true, she had insisted on staying by his bedside night and day, even when everybody else was gone. She still remembered that first night, when the Queen left, and that horrible hag from Rómenna had insisted that Fíriel’s presence was not proper, striking an alliance with the chief healer to send her away. Shortly afterwards, the Prince woke up shaking and screaming, and none of their remedies would calm him until she was reluctantly led back to his bedside. She had held his hand then, smiling tremulously as he called her name. Since then, no one had had the audacity to question her presence again, and when the Queen started meeting with her every day, she had even become a respected figure, to be served food and drink with lowered eyes and exaggerated bows. Some part of Fíriel, the part that was still a peasant, was scared by this: she felt like an impostor, whose brief instant of elevation would be followed by an inevitable downfall. The day the Queen no longer came to ask her strange questions about her dreams, or decided that her son was well enough to survive without her company, they would have her scrubbing floors, or worse, she thought, remembering how the King had looked at her as if she was a fly to be crushed between his fingers.

So far, Gimilzagar’s state had remained stable, but he had never been conscious for long enough to be able to communicate with those around him. Sometimes, his sleep was as peaceful as that of a child; sometimes, he was agitated by violent nightmares, which only Fíriel’s touch and voice seemed able to calm. Now and then, he would blurt incoherent words, which the healers carefully listened to and noted down, in a vain attempt to string an articulate message together. They were trying to connect it to the account of the experiences Gimilzagar had undergone in the mainland just before he collapsed, as revealed to them by the Queen. Since she mostly stayed silent, and they were used to talk among themselves as if she was not there, Fíriel had heard them say that the Prince had been helping his father in a ceremony, involving the sacrifice of a number of highborn conspirers from some kingdom of Rhûn. Perhaps he has been struck with a curse, the youngest among them proposed, or could not harness the power of the sacrifice and was attacked by one of the mysterious forces at play. Lord Zigûr should be here, he should be sharing his expertise with us. An older colleague told him that this was nonsense, that medicine and superstition should not mix, and that the Queen must have had her reasons not to admit Lord Zigûr into her son’s rooms. The Prince merely had a very excitable disposition, which is why he had been tormented by fits when he was a child. The sight of all that blood and carnage must have undone him.

Fíriel was not as wise and learned as they were, and she knew that they would have laughed at her presumption if she had tried to participate in the conversation. But if she had, if they had interrogated her like the Queen did every morning, she could have given them very valuable information. As Ar Zimraphel had explained to her, Gimilzagar’s ability to read her moods, which had surprised her since they were children, had been the shy beginnings of a great power that allowed him to penetrate the minds of others and even see the future. Most of this power lay suppressed, partly because of a –perhaps- fortunate side effect of the magic which kept him alive, partly because Gimilzagar himself had not been much inclined to use it. But when his father took him to Middle-Earth, certain forces there had elicited a reaction which brought the forceful emergence of much of what had remained hidden until then.

That was why Fíriel knew exactly what was passing through Gimilzagar’s mind, and the faces of all the twisted ghosts holding him in their merciless claws. Even as she sat by his bedside, awake or dozing off with his hand between hers, his dreams would invade her mind, and then she would see everything that he saw, and hear everything that he heard. Her first reaction to this had been one of terror: she remembered letting go of him, and running away from the room as if the ghosts that he saw were chasing her. But soon enough she regained her bearings and became angry at herself. Had she left her family and travelled all the way here, sacrificing so much on the way, to be daunted by mere figments of Gimilzagar’s imagination? And then, as she forced herself to stay and look at the source of her fear with her own eyes, a great feeling of pity had superseded it. Gimilzagar was desperately crying for help, in the only way that he could, and that was the reason why the visions were so vivid to her. So she opened her own mind to him, wanting to know more, begging for a clue of how to save him.

And it had happened. Perceiving her presence at last, he grabbed at this lifeline, at this only person who did not want to make him suffer for his crimes, and the darkness had eased a little. But even like this, it was unbelievably hard to pry him away from it. Thwarted by her appearance, the ghosts had grown more vicious, and with them her own nightmares. One day, she was the one who awoke screaming, about an hour before dawn, and she the one that the healer on duty in the neighbouring room tested for high temperature while he forced foul concoctions down her throat. That day, she huddled under a heap of blankets, shuddering uncontrollably, but her misery was eased when Gimilzagar opened his eyes in a brief instant of lucidity, saw her, and smiled. Once she told the Queen what had happened, Ar Zimraphel let go of her usual aloof demeanour, and pulled Fíriel into an embrace that smelled strongly of incense. Even the King had been there to check on his son, though he had not looked at Fíriel, choosing to behave as if she did not exist.

Any day now, he will wake, she had heard the Queen say to her husband that morning. Fíriel was both wishing and dreading this moment, for she wanted to see Gimilzagar heal, and yet she was aware that this would be the time when her usefulness was bound to be re-evaluated. The Lady Lalwendë and her daughters-in-law had spoken of her future as some kind of royal mistress as if it had been a given, but as Lord Amandil had cautioned, this Court was no longer the Court they had known, and it was not so easy to predict what could happen. Fíriel had been too beset by her own concerns to pay much attention to what everybody was saying back then, but the longer she stayed here, the better she understood the point that her adoptive father had been trying to make. She was allowed to remain beside Gimilzagar because he needed her, but even as she sat in the innermost sanctum of the Western wing of the Palace, she was seen as an outsider: an upstart for the ladies, an ignorant peasant for the healers, a walking miracle remedy for the Queen, and an eyesore who had to be temporarily tolerated for the King. And that was the case of those who had access to her; those who didn’t probably thought her just a common whore. The full extent of the Prince’s illness had not been disclosed to the public, and she could imagine the winks and nudges with which people would speak of her ‘healing touch’. After all, she had grown in places where such comments were everyday fare, and though the nobles were more discreet in their wording, they would probably have their own, highborn equivalents for this.

And then, of course, she was one of the Faithful. The traitors to the Sceptre who called the Prince an abomination and wanted him dead because they wanted the line of the Kings to fail, and the Island to return to the evil influence of the Baalim and their servants the Elves. If no one among her people would be foolish enough those days as to lay foot on Sor, knowing that they could fall victim to a false accusation, the idea of travelling to Armenelos did not even enter their wildest imaginations. Daughter of a highborn noble or not, it had never been so easy to dispose of Fíriel. One witness, claiming that they had seen her pray to her gods, or curse the Prince in the foul tongue of the Elves while she was in the room with him, and she would be lying on Sauron’s altar before the sun had set. She only needed to have one enemy for this, and she probably had many.

“Fíriel”, Gimilzagar mumbled. Lost in her own musings, she instinctively tightened her grip on his hand, for this was what she did whenever he grew upset, to remind him that she was still there. This time, however, it did not work.

“Fíriel”, he insisted. “Fíriel.”

“I am here, Gimil…” Suddenly, her voice died in her lips, as she grew aware of his eyes, set on her countenance like black pools filled with an unfathomable emotion. Conscious.

“You are here”, he spoke, in a very weak voice.

For a while, Fíriel could not even answer. She nodded in silence, beaming at him, wiping away inconvenient tears from her eyes.

“Of course I’m here”, she finally managed to reply, her voice so hoarse that she did not sound like herself. “What do you want? Whom should I call? How- how are you feeling?”

Gimilzagar did not reply to any of those questions. He must be dazed, she thought, disoriented, he probably doesn’t even know where he is right now.

“I have to call the healers. If you – let me go, I promise that I will be back right now.”

Those words were met by panic. Instead of slackening, his grip on her grew tighter.

“No!” he cried. “Do not leave me, please!”

“Very well”, she answered in a conciliating tone, before he grew too excited. He is too weak now to have a fit, was something the senior healer had said which had stuck in her mind. “What do you… want me to do, then? Are you hungry? Thirsty?”

“Stay”, was all he said, and soon afterwards, his eyelids dropped again.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Later in the morning, Fíriel was subjected to a sound scolding for not calling the healers in immediately. Not even the argument that she had been following higher orders managed to make much of a dent in their displeasure.

“The person in the sickbed cannot be allowed to make the decisions, no matter who he is”, the younger one told her, in a tone which made her feel as if she was three years old and a halfwit. “The next time this happens, be sure to alert one of us at once.”

“But… he seemed so upset, I thought he could have a fit if I did not do as he said!” she insisted, though she should know better than to be argumentative with these people. The man stared at her, as if her words were so out of place that they had not even registered in his brain.

“The next time, do not think”, he said at last, before turning away from her to start checking on the Prince. Now and then, she could hear him curse between his teeth, and mumble invectives directed at peasant girls who should be selling fish at the marketplace instead of tending a royal sickbed. But no matter what they did to reanimate him, the Prince did not give any further signs of consciousness until he was alone with Fíriel again.

This time, his attitude was different.

Why are you here?” he asked, with a very puzzled expression. Fíriel swallowed deeply.

“I… why, taking care of you, of course!” she answered, forcing herself to smile. Gimilzagar did not seem to find this explanation satisfying enough.

“You… do not hate me?” he insisted, his forehead curved in a frown. “Did you mean what you said, then?”

Fíriel was about to ask what on Earth was he referring to, but she remembered in time. The dream. For him, it had been real.

“I can never hate you, Gimilzagar”, she replied warmly. “So stop saying stupid things.”

The frown did not go away.

“But you do not understand. They died because of me. A-and your cousin, too. And that man who hated me so much, I killed him with my own hands. And before that, I caused his death, the death of all his family. I am a monster… an abomination!”

Now, Fíriel was angry.

“First, if you say that word again, I will slap you. And second: if you are thinking of doing this again, I will leave you to the mercy of those ghosts, since you seem to enjoy their company so much. Just for your information, I gave up my family, my homeland, my safety because of you, and now I am here, in a place where everybody hates me! So do not tell me what I should or should not do, and if you cannot thank me on bended knee, at least shut up!” Belatedly, she realized that she was yelling at someone who had just regained consciousness, and her head hung down in shame. “I… I am sorry. I did not mean to lose my temper at you. I… I was just… forgive me, please.”

Gimilzagar did not say anything to this, just remained there, gazing at her in silence. At some point, he dozed off again, and she let go of a breath which she did not even know she was holding.

The third time he awoke, it was the middle of the night. He already felt able to let go of her so she could go fetch him some drink and medicine, but she still did not call the healers. They could go to the Houses of the Dead for all she cared.

“You almost… died”, he said, his features darkening.

That was just a dream, Fíriel wanted to say, but something prevented her from doing so. Instead, she shrugged.

“But I didn’t. You got me out.”

“I did.” His lips slowly curved into a smile, as if he was savouring this great revelation. “I did, did I not?”

In the hours she had spent awake in the interval, alone with her own thoughts, Fíriel had been planning ahead. She would wait until he was conscious enough, and then ask him to be allowed to return to Rómenna as soon as he was feeling well, as her life would only be more in jeopardy the longer she remained at Court. Perhaps she would be allowed to escape this dangerous adventure unscathed, if she could be sent away with his blessing and an emotional thank you for her services. No threat for any lady, for the Queen or for the King. But now, she found herself before a dilemma. If she told him this, it would be tantamount to telling him that she did not trust his ability to protect her, which would only spoil his revelation. A revelation which had happened in his own mind to start with, a no-nonsense voice that sounded like Grandmother’s tried to argue, but for Gimilzagar it had been just as real as anything else, and he had held on to it like a drowning man would grab a floating piece of debris from a shipwreck. She had to be very careful here.

“Fíriel, do not fear”, he said, still with that smile in his lips. “You are safe here, for I will not let anything happen to you. You can trust me, I promise.”

Her eyes widened.

“You are reading my mind”, she realized. A part of her felt scared, and angry, but she remembered the Queen’s words about how new this was to him, and she bit her lip.

“Your fear is… strong. It makes me sad”, he explained, slowly and carefully, as if trying to make sense of the very things he was describing. “But your love is there, too. That makes me happy.”

Fíriel did not know what to say to this.

“Trust me. Please. You have saved me twice, and I can do the same for you.” His smile, which had died briefly when he perceived her distress, came back into his features. “Because now, they know. They have seen that, no matter what they do to keep me alive, I can still die on them. And they cannot let me die, I am the Prince of the West! So, see? I have all the leverage.”

“Are you saying that you would let yourself... die for me?” At first, the idea sounded ridiculous, but the more she thought about it, the more his twisted logic seemed to apply. She shook her head, trying to dislodge the disturbing thought. “Don’t be stupid! You cannot do that.”

“You have done the same for me. If my life is not good enough to give in exchange for yours, then what good am I? Why was I born for, except to cause death and suffering to others?”

“What about being the King of Númenor and Middle Earth?”, Fíriel retorted. Gimilzagar snorted in bitterness.

“The King of Númenor and Middle Earth is the main cause of death and suffering in this world.”

“You could… be a good King” she said, tentatively. As she spoke, she could not help but

remember Lalwendë and Irimë’s words about influencing the heir to the Sceptre. If it was just the both of them, alone, influencing him would be very easy, she thought. Since he learned to walk his first steps on the slippery surface of the rocks where she caught shellfish, he had been trying to impress her. But that is why they will know better than to let you anywhere near him, Lord Amandil would say. He would probably have also told Fíriel that what she had just said was very imprudent.

“It would make no difference” Gimilzagar shuddered, as if he was feeling cold. “Nothing will make a difference anymore.”

Fíriel did not argue, having found just enough good sense in her to pay heed to Lord Amandil’s warnings.

“You can say anything you want. As I told you, I would give anything, even my life, to keep you safe.” The more he repeated this, the more he seemed to believe it, and the livelier and more confident he became, so she did not even dare think of Ar Zimraphel and how she could pry those dangerous thoughts away from both their minds. “That is something I can do, at least.”

“Thank you, Gimilzagar” she bowed, gravely. “But I prefer you alive.”

At this point, their conversation was interrupted by the healers, who entered the room alerted by the sound of voices. When they saw them talking, they were angry with her again for disobeying their orders, and immediately surrounded the Prince to poke, prod, and interrogate him. He answered some of their questions, but soon enough he withdrew into himself, closing his eyes and refusing to speak further. Fíriel longed to imitate him, but then Ar Zimraphel arrived, and she was forced to face her and answer her questions. Just as the girl had feared, the Queen was already aware of all the details that she would have least wanted to share.

“So protecting you is his life’s mission now” she nodded, pushing away a strand of hair which had fallen on Fíriel’s face, in a way that reminded her poignantly of Grandmother. So right, and at the same time, so wrong. “Ah, to feel the thrill of a young and forbidden love! I still remember when I was his age, and I only had eyes for my handsome cousin. Back then, it was considered a sin, and since our fathers were enemies and mine did his best to hide me away, we could not even meet as family. But they underestimated our determination, of course. “She smiled brightly. “What would you say if we made it a little harder for him, as well?”

“What… I… I beg your pardon, my Queen?”

“It is no secret that the King disapproves of you. He believes you to be the daughter of a man who meant a very great deal to him before his betrayal, and you are indeed his descendant, though your barbarian traitor of a father will remain our little secret.” The smile did not falter in the slightest. “Since he was partly at fault for Gimilzagar’s plight, I made him tolerate your presence in our son’s sickbed. But now the Prince is awake, and the King will soon –deem that you are not needed there anymore. He will claim that people are talking, that this is not appropriate, and he will have a point. So what if we found a new place for you, say, in my own service? This will give Gimilzagar the incentive needed to recover and leave his sickbed, and after that he will have to plot and contrive to see you again behind his father’s back, which will keep him distracted and away from his demons” She laid a hand on Fíriel’s shoulder, which felt cold from the diamonds that covered it. “You could also try to feel a little miserable, at least enough for him to feel that he needs to fight for your sake. But that will not be too difficult, for I think you must be the most hated outsider in this Court for centuries. “She shook her head at the girl’s growing alarm. “Oh, do not look at me like that. There is no need for you to fear, my child: I will always be here, to shield you from harm. As long as we trust one another, everything will be well.”

Fíriel looked down, trying to avoid the Queen’s glance at all costs. Inside her, however, dismay was running rampant. Suddenly, it seemed all too clear what the Queen’s plans for her were: to turn her into bait, with which she would be able to manipulate her son at will. This crisis had been merely the beginning. From now on, if he needed comfort, she would bring Fíriel to his sickbed, if he needed a challenge, she would take her away or put her through the Valar knew what. And what if he grew too rebellious? a frightening voice whispered in the back of her mind. What would happen to her then?

“He has said that he would die to keep you safe, and I can assure you that he meant every word of it. If you cannot find it in yourself to trust me, at least you should trust him” the Queen scolded, an edge of steel emerging from underneath the false kindness. Fíriel swallowed.

“Yes, my Queen.”

“I trust you. How would I not? I can see every one of your thoughts. I know what you are going to think, even before you know it yourself –and in spite of your puerile attempts to avoid meeting my eyes” Ar Zimraphel explained. “But you have no use for those powers. My son loves you, and I love my son; that is all that you need to know. Is that not so?”

Fíriel took the cue, and raised her chin to look at her eyes. She had never noticed how similar those eyes were to those of her son, not just in shape or colour, but also in a certain, indefinable quality which Gimilzagar’s gaze seemed to have acquired in the last days –almost as if they were both looking at something beyond her.

And yet, Gimilzagar’s eyes were also full of love, while those were empty. Abandoned, like the house of her aunt and uncle after they sailed for Pelargir with Zama, never to return.

“Yes, my Queen.”

The eyes narrowed a little.

“Interesting” she remarked. And then, in a brisker tone, “Follow me.”

With a last, longing look in the direction of Gimilzagar’s chamber, Fíriel obeyed.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Gimilzagar winced, trying to pull himself up to an erect position. His whole body ached, as if every joint in it had been dislocated, and he felt dizzy just from looking at the patterns of the sheet draped over his lap. He had drunk all the foul concoctions the healers had forced down his throat, but they seemed to have achieved nothing aside from leaving a bitter aftertaste in his mouth. Fíriel was no longer there: Mother had taken her under her protection so the King could not harm her, and though he understood the logic of this arrangement, he missed her very much. Not for the first time, he wished he was hale enough to leave his bed and go find her.

“You will”, Ar Zimraphel said, caressing his forehead with a fond smile. “You will, my dearest child, very soon.”

Gimilzagar had done his best to smile back, though he should have known by now that it was an impossible feat to hide his feelings from his mother.

“You do not trust me anymore” she stated, her expression darkening like a sky veiled by clouds. He tried to protest.

“Mother, that is not…”

“You think that I sent you to Middle Earth knowing what would happen to you there. That I did it on purpose. I told you that all would be well, and then it was not”, she continued, as if she had not even heard him. Gimilzagar’s cheeks reddened.

It was not true. He had not really been thinking this at any moment that he could remember. If words suddenly did not come with the same ease as before when he was in her presence, if he instinctively flinched from her caresses, it was just because he was still out of sorts, and had not recovered from his ordeal.

“I know everything. Even what you do not allow yourself to think, because it is too hard for you to admit”, she shrugged. Waves of sadness crashed against his mind, their pull so deep that he had to work hard not to be engulfed by the current. Speechless, breathless, he could do nothing but shake his head in denial. “I am your mother, Gimilzagar. Were I like the other women who walk this Earth, were I like your beloved Fíriel, I would embrace you and claim that I will never let any harm come to you, that I will always keep you safe- all those false platitudes that common people who live their lives in blindness might say with a vapid smile and a clean conscience.”

“But you are not” he said, his voice so devoid of inflection that he might as well be dead.

Did he resent her?

“I am not, and neither are you. I always told you this, but it is only now that you are beginning to see by yourself what I meant. One day, I promise, you will see the full extent of it, and then you will understand.”

“And why cannot you just tell me?” An unreasonable frustration was gathering up in his chest. “Why do you manipulate people instead of telling them the truth? Why do you not tell them why they need to suffer? I am your son!”

Her eyes blazed with a strange light, and for a moment Gimilzagar did not know whether she was angry or sad. Even with his new, heightened awareness of other people’s thoughts and feelings, she still remained the same enigma she had always been. The same infuriating, confusing enigma which would always flee his grasp, even as his arms were encircling her body and he pressed his forehead against her cool, ivory flesh.

Yes, he realized in horror. He did resent her. Perhaps that was why, in his dreams, she never came when he called her. Would she have gone as far as to let him die?

“Oh, you are like your father in this”, she sighed, shaking her head. “He does not trust me, either. But do you know what, Gimilzagar? He loves me, and that compensates for his lack of trust. “Suddenly, she leaned forwards, a grave look in her eyes. “That is all I will ask from you, Gimilzagar. That you love me. Give me this, only this, and it will be enough.”

Love without trust. Was this why his father kept all that anger inside? Had this been the reason why he had crossed those mountains, burning, enslaving and killing everyone in his path? And, was this why he resented Gimilzagar being so much like her?

“I thought you would understand by now that I did not ask for this.”

“I did not ask for it, either” he retorted, growing bolder at each word he spoke. “And yet, if I found I could help someone I loved with it...”

“Like you helped your father root out that conspiracy?” He paled at the reminder, but she gave no visible signs of triumph. “You are still very young, my son. Some people do not want to be helped. Others are not ready to face the truth. But the most important of all is this: whenever you help someone, you always doom others. That is why many cannot be helped, because if they are, you will bring harm upon those who matter the most to you.”

Gimilzagar pondered this briefly: the taste was as bitter as the medicine in his mouth.

“Like the barbarians driven to the Island like cattle cannot be helped. They serve a purpose, do they not?”

“We all serve a purpose.” She stood up, and though she was not tall, she towered over his hunched, sitting form. “But most do not know what this purpose is, and if they die, they do not even know why. That is why we rule the world, because we know.

“Well, I do not know, Mother. I have no idea of what my purpose is!” Gimilzagar did not even notice that he had  raised his voice. “Why would I rule the world? I have been pulled back from death all those times, and I do not even know why!”

Ar Zimraphel did not take the bait. Instead, she gazed at him in silence for a while, and slowly, her lofty demeanour abandoned her, substituted by a tenderness which Gimilzagar was not ready to withstand. Though he had intended to press on this subject until some piece of the truth floated towards the surface, he suddenly did not know what to say.

“It is better this way”, she decided, and the window was shut. “Now, lay back and gather your strength, my son. Your father will be here this afternoon, and there is no need of foresight to anticipate that you are going to need it.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Ar Pharazôn’s visit had been far more dreaded than that of the Queen, and yet, once he was there, Gimilzagar did not find it as hard to deal with him as it had been to face his mother. The old, unspoken challenge, which had been present in his father’s eyes and permeated all his words and actions since Gimilzagar was old enough to remember, was temporarily gone. Its absence felt as strange as a temple without a fire, but just as relieving.

“I am glad to see you are doing so well” the King said, once he had meticulously inquired after his progress, and the different treatments he was being subjected to. So meticulously, in fact, that one might suspect he was trying to fill the void with inane conversation. “The healers are to be commended.”

If Ar Pharazôn had not been looking so oddly – assailable, Gimilzagar would never have gathered his courage to say the next words.

“Fíriel is to be commended. She brought me back.”

His father blinked, but the explosion did not come.

“And Fíriel too, of course.”

“She and I… have a strong connection, Father. Since I awoke, I feel all her thoughts swimming in my mind. If she is happy, I am happy.” He was aware that he was pushing his luck. “If she is –unhappy, I immediately feel unwell.”

“Oh.” The King arched an eyebrow, the first, fleeting sign of the old Pharazôn since the beginning of this unusual conversation. “I will be sure to keep that information in mind.”

He did not say anything else, and Gimilzagar could not think of a way to fill a silence which gradually grew more and more uncomfortable. He had never dared read his father’s mind, but now it was much easier than it had ever been, and he could not prevent himself from picking up certain things that swam close enough to the surface. There was a great deal of discomfort, an even greater amount of worry – and guilt. The one emotion Gimilzagar had been sure he would never find there.

“Well. Now we definitely know that Middle Earth disagrees with you. I feel better when I am there than I am in the Island, myself, but you seem to have taken after your mother. Your hair, your eyes, your skin and the shape of your features should have provided me with enough clues, but sometimes fathers can be that blind.”

It did not sound like an apology at all, and yet Gimilzagar would not have imagined his father saying those words in his wildest dreams. By now, he was starting to feel seriously bewildered by this development. Why was his father not angry? His collapse in Seria had showed his weakness to its fullest extent. He was the ultimate failure, the greatest disappointment.  In a life full of glorious victories and sweeping conquests, Ar Pharazôn had never been defeated so badly.

Something was wrong. Terribly wrong.

“Keep working on your recovery, then”, he was saying at the moment, standing on his feet before Gimilzagar’s shocked gaze. The young man’s eyes narrowed, and before he was fully conscious of what he was doing, he was diving deeper underneath the Golden King’s surface.

And then, he saw it.

“No!” he cried. He fell flat on his back, his body shaking uncontrollably, as if he was again caught in the throes of one of his fits. From a great distance, he heard his father’s voice summoning the healers, and the touch of his hands on his face, just like that day he had lain in the royal tent before the gates of Mordor. Then, he heard other voices, and a flurry of footsteps, right before a liquid tasting like rotten fruit was forced down his throat.

Fools. Why were they doing this? Didn’t they see that he needed to talk, couldn’t they notice what was at stake?

“Father” he tried to mumble, even as they tried to make him swallow more of the medicine. “Father, listen.” He choked on it, and his body was racked by a cough.  He tried to spit it out, just in case it was something designed to make him sleep, but they just gave him more.

“Leave him alone!” his father shouted, noticing his struggles to break free from their grasp. “Look what you have done to him, you fools! Take your foul concoctions and go!”

They obeyed at once, and their departure gave Gimilzagar enough time to calm the spasms of his body. Calming the agitation of his mind was not so easy, but he still managed to look as if he had regained most of his composure when his father focused his attention back on him.

“What happened? Was I taxing you too much? They told me you were well enough to hold a conversation!”

Gimilzagar shook his head.

“It was… nothing. Do not worry about it, Father. I am strong enough.” He paused, trying to gather enough conviction to put in his next words. “It will never happen again. What –happened in the mainland, I mean. I have found my strength now. If you give me a second chance, I will not disappoint you.”

Pharazôn’s eyes widened in incredulity.

“A second chance? What are you talking about?” He laughed, and yet his laughter had a false ring to it, oddly reminiscent of a courtier’s pretence. “Do you think I am going to disinherit you for this? By the Lord of Battles, Gimilzagar, you are my only son!”

And that was the problem, the Prince realized in his new state of terrible lucidity. The unsurmountable problem.

“Gimilzagar, listen to me!” Pharazôn sounded dismayed. “I do not know what kind of monster you think I… oh, very well, perhaps I have acted like a monster in some of the circumstances you have seen me in, but it was merely a role I had to play for the benefit of others. It does not mean I would ever harm you. And as long as you are around, no one else may be heir to the Sceptre of Númenor. That I can promise you.”

Gimilzagar swallowed.

“Do not speak to Lord Zigûr. Please.”

A lesser man would have betrayed himself at this point, but his father was too old, and too good at this. He shook his head.

“I do not know what you are talking about. You are obviously still sick. I should not have come so soon.” And then, Gimilzagar could hear it, as clearly as if he had spoken the words with his voice. It is for your own good, you fool. “I will return when you are feeling better.”

Gimilzagar opened his mouth to call him again, but by the time he had managed to come up with something to say, Ar Pharazôn had already left the room. He leaned back on his pillows, feeling weaker than ever.

That night, he dreamed of a terrible storm, of drowned people screaming, and of a great wave that swallowed all the lights in the sky before falling upon the Island.

Interlude XIII: Death and Immortality

Read Interlude XIII: Death and Immortality

He had never entered the Hall of Sacrifices like this before, when it lay empty of the crowds of faithful who pressed against one another for a glimpse of the holy rites, filling the sacred space with their prayers and chants. Now, it seemed to him as if every step he took, every sound he made reverberated over this great expanse, magnified by a hundredfold. It did not exactly frighten him, but it made him feel uncomfortable.

He should have summoned him, as he always did. He still was not sure of why he had not done it this time. Perhaps he was reluctant to engage in a conversation such as this in a place full of eyes and ears, though there was no reason why he should have suddenly grown so wary of others. He was the King of Númenor: no other mortal was entitled to judge him, or hinder his plans.

“And yet those close to you still insist on trying”, a familiar voice spoke above him. He stopped on his tracks at the foot of the stairs, where he could already feel the heat of the sacred fire throbbing against his skin. Slowly, the High Priest of Melkor began descending them; as usual, there were no traces of sweat to be found on his forehead, and his countenance was not flushed from the heat. His bright eyes gave off a wild and strange gleam in the half-light.

“This was not merely Zimraphel’s doing”, the King said. “I, too, will not allow you access to the Prince of the West. Do your part to keep him alive as you have done until now, and let him be as he is.”

“I see.” Zigûr’s countenance was the perfect picture of wronged innocence as he stopped by his side, his robes smelling of incense from the evening rites. “You still do not trust me.”

“Only a fool would trust you.”

“Then why are you here?” He even managed to look genuinely baffled, before he shook his head with a smile. “Oh, I almost forgot. You have a succession problem now. The same problem that you do not want to let me solve for you.”

That was already a little too much insolence. But Pharazôn did not think he could afford to waste his reserves of determination on a pointless quarrel at this moment.

“Do you remember when you said to me that there were several ways to make a man immortal?” he ploughed on. “You were in a prison then, and I let you out so you could try the first of them. It failed.”

“It does not have to…”

“It. Failed”, he growled, and the High Priest’s protest died on his lips.

“As you wish, my lord King.” He sighed. “How sad for the Prince, to have his own father give up on him. To treat him like a mistake to be discarded and hidden, something he is ashamed of having created.” For a moment, his eyes looked heavy with some undefined emotion, and Pharazôn almost was deceived into thinking there was a true wistfulness there. But he knew much better.

“Stop trying to pretend that you pity my son, Zigûr. You do not even pity me. Gimilzagar will deal with this as he has dealt with everything I have done until now. by despising the means, yet accepting the advantages they offer. That is why he cannot be the King of Númenor.”

“If I may be so bold, my lord King, how is it that you do not trust me to help the Prince, and yet come here seeking help for yourself? How can you be afraid of the consequences on your son, but not on you?”

Why was it that Zigûr always excited his basest, most violent instincts? At this point, the King of Númenor wanted nothing more than to drag him upstairs and hold his fair face against the flames until it was charred to a crisp. He tried to repress those thoughts, aware that the High Priest of Melkor was able to read them like an open book –and that they amused him.

“Because you failed to convince me of your intentions towards my son, Zigûr. Now, you have a chance to explain what methods you would employ to make me immortal, and what the consequences of those could be, and perhaps you might convince me this time.” He snorted, doing his best to hide his urgency behind a nonchalant tone. “At least if you are not a charlatan who is only good at finding witty retorts and distracting his interlocutors when he does not know how to answer a question.”

“My apologies, my lord King.” Zigûr bowed, with no visible traces of irony. “For all these years, I have endeavoured to prove to you that I am more than that. The Prince is alive, you and the Queen are free of the burdens of age and disease, Númenor is prosperous, and the whole world pays tribute to you. And if I have failed you once, let me endeavour not to disappoint you again.” He raised his eyes again, earnest like those of a soldier. “I will submit my immortal wisdom to your consideration, and then you will choose whether to heed it or not.”

“Do so.” The distant sound of an argument between two priests reached them from the distance, and Pharazôn experienced an eerie feeling, almost as if he had succeeded in convincing himself that they were the only two people in the whole Temple. But Zigûr did not pay any heed to them.

“Immortality is a gift which I was given myself, before the beginning of Time, and yet it is not mine to give” he began. “I can heal ailments, slow aging, and save those at the brink of death –for a time. But you still remain mortal, and the day will always come when I can do no more. Our Lord could have changed your fate, if he had not been banished from treading the soil of this Earth as he did in the time you call the Age of the Gods, and his power limited to answering your prayers through indirect means.”

Pharazôn had no patience for this.

“And yet there is a way, or else you would not have been bold enough to claim that you could make me immortal.”

“There is a way, indeed.” Zigûr nodded. “For our Lord was not alone in his kind, and there are others who remain here, enjoying the fruits of their betrayal. Others you might access more easily.”

“Do you mean…?” Pharazôn let the words trail away from his mouth, suddenly hesitant to finish the question.

“This secret is the most prized possession of those whom you call the Baalim, and the Faithful honour as the Valar. They can make you immortal, like they did with the Elves, and strong while the world lasts. But they will never do it willingly, for they will not suffer Men to become as powerful as they are.”

Shaken despite himself, the King needed a few moments to process this.

“You mean that the Elves… were not always immortal?”

“The Elves, immortal? Oh, no!” Zigûr laughed - a little bitterly, it seemed to him. “Immortality was never meant to be for the creatures of this world. Look around you, my lord King, and you will see that everything dies. The birds in the sky, the animals that roam the Earth, the insects, the trees, the plants. Someone as ancient as I am has even seen rivers die and mountains crumble into dust! There is no law, no reason you can find to justify the immortality of one type of creature alone among so many, other than the whim of the Baalim. They decided that they needed servants who lived for as long as they did, just like you would extend the life of your favourite horse so you could ride it beyond the years allotted to its kindred, if you could.”

That made sense, Pharazôn had to admit. He remembered some of the sacred texts of the temple of Umbar, where the First Creation were referred to as a monstrous abomination for opposing the laws of Nature.

“They chose the Elves because they thought they were spineless, peace-loving creatures who would never oppose their bidding. But they were wrong. Before Men had even come into this world, some Elves grew tired of this servitude, and rebelled against their masters. They escaped the so-called Blessed Realm and fled to Middle-Earth, with great loss of life. The Lord Melkor wished to help them, but though rebels, they were already too ensnared by the lies of the Baalim and believed him to be a terrible demon, who only affected kindness because he wanted to trick and destroy them. That lie they passed on to your ancestors, though unlike them, Men always had the versatility of mind needed to recognize lies enshrined under the guise of tradition, and think for themselves. Which is the reason why you rule the world, while the high and mighty immortal Elves have mostly been persuaded to return, crawling on their knees, under the yoke they once tried to escape.”

“So”, Pharazôn forced himself to discard all the questions he had, all the thoughts turning in his mind which, if voiced, would have come across as ignorant babble to this ancient creature’s ears. He had to head straight to the point. “You mean that the only way to become immortal is to sail West and –convince the Baalim to make me immortal?”

Zigûr did not seem to have noticed his turmoil, or if he did, he chose not to pay heed to it.

“Yes.”

“And how am I supposed to do such a thing?” the King asked, still pretending that this was anything like a regular conversation. “Should I ask them politely, or would it be more advisable to threaten beings whose power far exceeds my own until they comply with my wishes?”

The High Priest chuckled, though Pharazôn could not find the joke in any of this.

“I would try the first and, if it fails, I would go for the second.”

Now, he was growing angry again.

“You want me out of the way. That is your plan, is it not? You are trying to kill me. No one among my ancestors has ever dared sail to the Undying Lands, and for a reason!”

“No one among them ever dared march on Mordor, and I daresay they believed they had a reason.”

Pharazôn laughed humourlessly.

“Do you think I am that stupid? If you were their equal in power, you would have been the Great Deliverer, and the Lord Melkor would have been your servant.”

Zigûr was not taken aback by this.

“Were you listening to my story, my lord King? The Elves rebelled against the Baalim in the past, and despite their losses, they managed to have their way, at least for a while. And they may have been immortal, but believe me, my lord, they did not have the tiniest portion of the lives and resources that you have at your disposition. You have the greatest fleet to have ever sailed the seas, shipyards and timber to double its size, soldiers to fill every ship, and slaves to move them. Why do you think that the Powers remain hidden in their Blessed Realm? Why do you think they forbade it to mortals? You rule Middle Earth, but you do not remain hidden in your island as if you were afraid to be found. Your subjects see you, know you, and fear you. The Baalim claim to rule the world, and yet they hide from their subjects because they know that they are not invulnerable. And this frightens them.”

For a moment, as he listened to those words, Pharazôn could not help but remember Amandil, and imagine his look of horror at this conversation. But Amandil’s horror was nothing new: he had been horrified when Pharazôn told him about his designs on Mordor, and also when human sacrifices were first allowed in Armenelos. Even if Zigûr’s fantastical projects were nothing but an attempt to goad him into risking his life, he had to admit there was some substance to his idea that Elves, and the Men who listened to them the most, were fearfully disinclined to alter their preconceived notions about things. Ar Pharazôn the Golden had often thought differently from his ancestors and from those who surrounded him, and though he had been expected to fail, he had not.

“So” he spoke, trying to anchor his thoughts. “You claim I can sail West and defeat the Baalim?”

Zigûr shook his head.

“I do not know, my lord King. Only the Creator knows that.”

“What? Are you mocking me, then?”

The High Priest withstood his glance.

“I am telling you nothing but the truth, as you wished me to do. All I have said is true, but if I presumed to be able to extract a clear-cut conclusion from it, I would be lying and doing you a great disservice. The Baalim are far more powerful than I am, and their kingdom is well-defended. They are not unassailable, but I cannot tell if it is your fate to defeat them or die in the attempt. All I can tell you, my lord King, is that, if you wish to be immortal, this is the only way.”

Was he mocking him? Could this wretch be having fun at his expense? Or was he afraid, just like the human advisors who would give him all kind of roundabout answers because they were afraid to risk their position on the accuracy of their statements, and yet expected him to risk much more on it?

“Then perhaps I should send you back to your prison, for failing to deliver on your promises.”

“As you wish”, Zigûr replied, unfazed. “But that will not save Númenor.”

Which was, unfortunately, true.

“I gave you much safer advice, but you refused to take it. You are the King, and you will do what you want, for that is your prerogative, but it would be unfair to blame your decisions on me.”

That was, again, true, though Pharazôn hated him with every fibre of his being for it.

“You are such a fascinating man, my lord King. You could have led a sheltered, easy life, and yet you always feel the need to take the harder road. No matter what you achieve, it is never enough for you. You could have had any woman you wanted, but you chose to love your cousin, though this was forbidden by your laws. You chose to claim the Sceptre against the Former King’s will, though you knew it would mean strife and peril, and then, though you already ruled the rich possessions of your ancestors, you chose to challenge me. Once I was your prisoner, you found that this glory was still not enough. So you crossed mountains and plains seeking new places to conquer, lands that always lay farther away. And now that you stand at the pinnacle of your power, you will not suffer to relinquish your Sceptre to a compliant heir, but keep it yourself, for ever, even if for this you have to challenge the gods themselves. Behind all your doubts, behind all your questions and the pangs of uncertainty, I can perceive this truth about your character” At first, Pharazôn dismissed this as the usual flattery, but the more Zigûr spoke, the more he fancied he could detect a spark of grudging, genuine admiration behind his tone. “I cannot give you full assurance, my lord King, but I can tell you one thing. These qualities of Men, whom you embody to the highest degree I have ever seen, are the reason why the Baalim fear your kind more than any other. For they know they can make everybody else conform to the place allotted to them in their world order, but not you. My master saw this long ago, and that is why he favoured you, because he, too, was of a similar disposition.”

“And now you are continuing his noble work” Pharazôn finished. His mind was very agitated, and he pretended to be looking at the fire just so he would not have to meet Zigûr’s eyes again. “I think we have spoken enough for today. I will… summon you, if I have further need of you.”

As he crossed the great hall back in the direction of the gates where his escort awaited him, the King of Númenor’s could hear his heart beat hard against his chest, louder even than the echo of his footsteps over the black marble floor.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Wave towered high over the hills and plains of the Island. Its long shadow hung over the proud city of Armenelos, and over the roads through which its panicked inhabitants, men, women, and children, pressed against one another in a vain attempt to outrun it. He could see their faces, their eyes clouded by fear, and their mouths distorted in agonizing screams, but he could not hear them. Their crumbling world was outside his reach, and though shaken to the core by pity and horror, there was nothing he could do to save them.

“My lord. My lord, please, wake up.”

Slowly, Númendil emerged from the vividness of his vision and into the blurred awareness of the real world, where he was lying on a disorderly bed, and an apologetic face was hanging above his in the shadows. Briefly disoriented, he gazed towards the window, where he was not even able to distinguish the faint luminescence that heralded the arrival of dawn.

“What is it?” he asked, still struggling to anchor himself to the here and now. “Why did you wake me?”

“It is the priest” the voice informed him, in a discreet whisper. “He is outside, and he looks very upset. He says that his master requires your help.”

These words had the virtue of making him land firmly on solid ground. Without waiting for more details, the former lord of Andúnië threw away his covers, and sat by the edge of the bed.

“Help me get dressed” he said, repressing a wince as the brusque movement brought a dull ache to his back. “And have him come in.”

Hasdrumelkor was one of the few priests of Melkor who had been with their High Priest the day he abandoned the Temple of Armenelos. He had also been one of the even fewer who followed him to Rómenna, and over twenty years later, he was the only one who remained, stubbornly refusing to leave the old man’s side as the others had done one after another. Now, he and Númendil had become close collaborators in the act of nursing the most difficult charge any of them could have been entrusted with.

“What happened?” Númendil asked in a calm voice, in an attempt to soothe the nerves of the man who strode inside the room in a state of great excitement. As always, it passed largely unremarked.

“His Holiness happened, my lord! Though he was not supposed to rise from his bed without help, he is lying face flat on the floor as we speak, and I cannot get him back on his feet!”

“Is he conscious?” Long experience made Númendil quick to come up with the right questions, even as he stood up and followed the priest towards Lord Yehimelkor’s chambers. Hannimelkor threw his hands up in exasperation.

“He says he is fine where he is. I… I would have summoned others, my lord, but you know very well what would happen if I did.”

“Indeed.” Yehimelkor was too stubborn for his own good, and his deteriorating health was a prime example of the truth of that saying. If he had not overtaxed himself so much, he might have been old but hale now, just like Númendil, who had quite a few years on him. But no matter how many times he had been told this, he never listened. The only voice that Yehimelkor would ever heed was that of a god who did not listen to his prayers, and the only judgement he would follow was that of the legitimate High Priest of Melkor – his own.

As they neared the room where the remnants of the Sacred Fire burned on the fireplace, the unmistakeable, monotonous cadence of the King of Armenelos’s litanies reached their ears. Númendil crossed the threshold first, and the sight made him blink. Just as Hasdrumelkor had claimed, the High Priest was lying on the floor, his forehead pressed against its hard and cold surface. His body was contorted, as if he had been trying to kneel and it had toppled over on its right flank. His folded arm was buried under his weight, and Númendil was immediately afraid that it could have been broken. At the very least it would be completely numb, he thought, wincing in sympathy.

“Holiness. Holiness, I brought Lord Númendil” Hasdrumelkor was saying. The litany paused.

“That was rude of you. You should not have disturbed his sleep.”

“I do not mind”, Númendil hurried to say, while he knelt at his side and deftly checked him for possible signs of injury. “Hasdrumelkor, bring a chair.”

Knowing that the former lord of Andúnië was the only one able to hold this conversation, the other priest immediately bowed and went to do as he was told.

“I do not need a chair. I am well enough where I am” Yehimelkor hissed, unable to keep the strain away from his voice any longer. Númendil, however, knew better than to remark upon this. “You are interrupting my prayers.”

“And I apologize for that” he said. “Once you are on this chair, and I can check if you have suffered any harm, I will excuse myself and leave you to your devotions. But please, my lord, be reasonable. Your god cannot expect you to take so much pain.”

Hannimelkor was back with the chair, and on the count of three, they held him by his arms and shoulders and pulled him up. Yehimelkor’s face was very pale, but to his credit, he did not utter a sound.

“Oh, Holiness, look at you!” There was no blood on him, but it was obvious that he would have a black eye by the next morning, if not half a black face. “I cannot understand why you keep doing this. At the very least, you could call me when you need help! I am right there, in the next room!” Hasdrumelkor chided, unable to hide his frustration. But there was no sign of remorse, not even sheepishness, in the High Priest’s emaciated features.

“That is between the Lord and me. If you are able to sleep placidly every night, and wake only when I call you, then there is nothing for you to understand. So go back to sleep, and spare me your preposterous judgements.”

Númendil winced –age had not softened the old man’s character, indeed.

“Thank you Hasdrumelkor, you can go”, he intervened. “I will stay with him.”

The younger priest obeyed without comment. His departing steps were followed by a tense silence, broken only by the crackling of the fire on the hearth.

“You are not like him”, Yehimelkor spoke after a while, his gaze lost in the movement of the flames. “You, too, dream. You know.”

Númendil measured his words very carefully before he answered.

“And yet, Lord Yehimelkor, I do try to sleep. For I know that my discomfort and my pain will avail no one.”

“The Lord is angry with me. Very angry.” It was a painful confession, and Númendil’s heart turned in instinctive pity as he listened to it. “If He cripples my limbs and forces me to lie on my face while I pray, I will bear it gladly. But no matter what I do, no matter how much I pray, his displeasure with Númenor will not be abated.”

Now, the former lord of Andúnië felt an involuntary shiver travel down his spine.

“Does he… speak to you, my lord?”

He would never have expected his question to have such a strong effect on his interlocutor. The High Priest flinched, as if he had been struck, and glared at him with a mixture of anger and grief.

“No!” he hissed. “He does not speak to me anymore, Lord Númendil. He has retreated from Númenor, filled with wrath for those who have used His name to kill and enslave others and foul His sacred altars. All I can feel when I approach the flames is His anger, His… rejection for all our sinful kindred, falling on me with the thunderous strength of the Wave of your visions.” He shuddered. “If I fell tonight, it was not old age and infirmity alone what caused it.”

“Do you think a god cannot tell apart the innocent from the guilty?”

Númendil had not asked this to be confrontational, or to mock the man’s beliefs. It was an honest question, a question whose answer he did not know, but which chilled him to the marrow. Yehimelkor seemed to perceive this, because he gazed at him with something akin to sympathy.

“What is it that you see in your dream?”

Númendil frowned, remembering the men, women and children crowding the roads, trying to escape in vain. The innocent, the guilty. All dragged to the same watery grave.

“There are no innocents, Númendil son of Valandil. There are those who commit evil acts, and those who allow them to happen.” His features grew paler as he tried to move his arm, and the pain of the effort took a toll on his composure. “I should have died in Armenelos that day. But I did not, and now I must bear the consequences of my choice to the bitter end.”

Númendil shook his head. This was something that he did not accept. He simply could not.

“You should not speak in this strain, my lord. The night is long and our dreams are dark, but we must not forget that there is still hope. Even as we speak, my great-grandsons Isildur and Anárion are building refuges for those of our people who need to leave the Island in order to escape persecution. If we cannot save everyone, at least we must endeavour to do what we can, with the means that we have. For that would also be a way of opposing evil, and it might still bring redemption, to you as well as to us.”

To Númendil’s surprise, the humourless High Priest smiled wryly.

“Who are you trying to fool, Lord Númendil? You know as well as I that I do not have the strength to save anyone, or to help you with your projects. I do not even have the strength left to pray. If I try to do so, my very body will betray me, and I will fall. I will wake Hasdrumelkor, and he will wake you, and one more night, you will be inconvenienced because of me. “The smile was gone from his lips, and Númendil had never seen such a poignant, raw look in his eyes. “I am nothing but a burden to others.”

Someone much less tactful than Númendil might have pointed out that this was the reason why the house of Andúnië had the custom of voluntarily giving their souls back to the Creator when they felt it was the right time to depart. But then, he knew that the old man would start pontificating about the need for each and every creature to conform to Heaven’s plan, and how it was the duty of Men to await Death whenever and however it chose to arrive. The pain and the uncertainty would be once more hidden under the cloak of the polemist, and no one would be able to see them again –but they would still be there.

Instead of that, he took Yehimelkor’s hand in his.

“Please, my lord” he spoke. “Let me help you finish your prayer.”

“You?” The High Priest stared in incredulity. “You are a Baalim worshipper. As I believe I said to you long ago, I do not require your help, and even less your pity.”

“I do not know the words, and if I knew them, I would not say them. But I can support you so you will not fall”, Númendil retorted. Then, he did his best to attempt a smile of his own. “You are not a burden to me, Lord Yehimelkor. You have never been one before, and you will not become one now that your body has betrayed you through no fault of your own. But if you are still not convinced of my sincerity, I can promise I will let you fall the moment I change my mind.”

For a moment, not even his penetrating glance could read the emotions in Yehimelkor’s face. Then, before he could blink, it was all gone again, hidden behind a mask of sternness.

“Sarcasm does not suit you, Lord Númendil” the priest declared. “But if you insist, you may help me. When you and Hasdrumelkor entered my rooms without permission, you interrupted me in the middle of the longest of the Lord’s litanies, and now I have to start all over again.”

“Of course.” Before Yehimelkor could even move, Númendil was already holding him by the shoulders and waist, and helping him up. The High Priest’s famous defiance must have finally been a little exhausted, because he did not oppose resistance, not even when they both manoeuvred to kneel before the fire, Númendil clenching his teeth to bear most of the weight.

For the next hour, while the priest chanted his own prayers next to him, the former lord of Andúnië closed his eyes, and prayed to Eru to have pity on His children.

Scandal

Read Scandal

“He does not want to speak to me. And I am worried, Fíriel, I think he is going to do something… something very bad.”

The young woman suppressed a sigh, even as she did her best to nod sympathetically. She was beginning to think she would develop a crank in her neck from doing this –and that her tongue might start to bleed from biting it so much.

“Perhaps the King has merely been too busy with State business. It must be a very time-consuming affair, to rule the Númenórean empire!” Exiling, conquering, enslaving and murdering without trial – all those things required a strong dedication, she guessed.

“Of course he is busy, but that is not the point! I saw something, and he knows that I saw it.”

“I am sorry, my…. Gimilzagar.” She knew that it made him upset whenever she used honorifics to address him, and here she did not have the excuse of being within earshot of anyone else. The Lady Milkhaset and her cohorts were sitting on the stone bench at the other side of the fountain, pretending not to pay attention, but the sound of the gurgling water would make their conversation impossible to overhear. “I am sure that you will get your chance to speak to him, if you are patient.”

Now, he was staring at her as if a mûmak’s trunk had suddenly grown from her nose. At least this should mean that she finally had his attention.

“What is the matter with you? You are acting very odd lately.” His eyes widened. “Are you afraid to speak your mind? To me?”

This time, she did sigh.

“Not really.” For someone who claimed to be able to read minds, he did not have much to show for it, she thought, rather unkindly, but then she remembered that he had insisted on taking lessons from his mother to try and stop it, and relented a little. “But I am a lady of the Court now. I am not interested in politics.”

“This is not politics!”

“Everything involving the King is politics.” She smiled widely for the old hag’s benefit, though even from the distance it should not be too difficult to notice that the mirth did not reach her eyes. Gimilzagar looked vaguely in that direction too, following her glance, but he did not seem to register his nurse’s forbidding presence.

“But then everything happening between these walls is politics, too! And if all those courtiers are here, it is because they wish to have a part in it. They are interested in having knowledge, influence, and power, why should anyone look askance at you for doing the same as them?”

“Oh, I don’t know! Maybe because they are not former Faithful, bastards of exiles, or had any cousins executed for high treason!” she retorted, the smile leaving her face.

After only one month, Fíriel already had a rather accurate idea of what to expect from her surroundings. Even though it had been easier for Gimilzagar to secure permission for her to leave her duties and pay him visits than she had thought it would be, by the end of the day she still had to return under the Queen’s gaze. It was easy for him to feel safe in his own home, but she was a prisoner under constant watch. The day Ar Zimraphel decided she no longer had any use for her, or the King was done feeling sorry for how he had treated his son, there would be someone brandishing a list of all her mistakes, and she would have to pay for them. Sometimes, when she thought of this, she felt her anxiety become so overpowering that she wanted nothing more than to tear off those stupid long robes and run, as far as her legs would take her. Then, however, she realized that the gate guards would stop her if she tried to do that, and she felt even worse.

Perhaps her mother had been right all along. Perhaps she should never have come to this place.

“I am sorry. I am very sorry, Fíriel. I- I cannot do it anymore.” Gimilzagar looked downright pained, and for a moment Fíriel could not help but gaze across the fountain, fearing that the old nurse would notice that something was wrong with her precious ward. But then she realized the intensity of his turmoil, which was so raw that she was momentarily distracted from her other concerns. “I have been trying. Please, believe me, I have. But you are like… it is as if… as if you were a part of myself now. Whenever you are upset, I am upset. When I told my father this, it was just a ploy, but now, it is the truth.”

Oh. Damn.

“Well, I am sorry I made you upset, my lord prince. I can assure you, I am not doing it on purpose.”

“I am not complaining, I am apologizing!”

“Then you should not. I... suppose my feelings are too loud.” She was not even sure if she wanted to make it sound ironic or not, but he looked so sorry that her frustration vanished like smoke in the wind.

“What is it, Fíriel? Why are you so unhappy? While I was still lying in bed, I promised I would do anything for you, and I meant it.”

Fíriel looked at Lady Milkhaset from the corner of her eye, and saw that she was greeting Lady Anobret, head of the Queen’s retinue. She probably was here to take her back, which should be for the best, as continuing this conversation could well be Fíriel’s greatest mistake since she arrived at the Court. Now, all she had to do was smile, gracefully decline the Prince’s offer, and go.

“Do you truly want to help me?  He nodded at once. “Then, get me out of the Queen’s household.”

Gimilzagar had not been expecting this.

“What? But…” He looked as if she had gone insane, and perhaps he was right. “Mother has offered to take you so she can keep both you and your reputation safe. If you were not here as one of her ladies, you would be… you would be…”

There was no need for special powers to know what was the word that Gimilzagar had in mind.

“Your whore,” she completed for him, all caution thrown to the winds. “So what? Everybody thinks that already. What do you think they called me in Rómenna since the assassination attempt?”

Gimilzagar looked shocked. Could he not have known?

“I do not think…”

“Well, then start thinking!”, she interrupted him, only belatedly realizing that her voice had risen, and the ladies had stopped her conversation to stare at her. Again, she did a great effort to swallow her feelings and smile airily in their direction. “Very well. You wanted me to discuss the King with you, so I will. He hates my adoptive father, my family, and me. Since he first heard about us, he has been pretending I am a common whore that makes you horny, and nothing more. “Gimilzagar was not used to this crude language, but she ignored his shock. “Why don’t we give him what he wants? I would no longer be the girl that you need to protect, the one you are resigned to love from afar, because she is too precious to you. I would be the girl you want in your bed…”

“Fíriel!”

“… and that he will be able to understand. And the Court too! There would be a scandal, but it would be just the kind of scandal that they want, wouldn’t it?”

To be completely honest, Fíriel was almost as shocked at her own outburst as Gimilzagar. If she had the time to wonder what her family in Rómenna –both of them- would say if they could hear her now, her face would turn as red a ripe berry. But she also felt that she was finally starting to reach the core of that terrible anxiety which had seemed to fill her lungs every night, until she could no longer breathe. She was trapped here, by the will of others who would never let her go, but also by her own heart, as shameful as it was for her to admit it. She had been constantly under the eye of the Queen, who dissected even her smallest thoughts and treated her as a puppet she could manipulate at will. She was surrounded by women who knew about her, but pretended not to, exhibiting a cold politeness that barely hid a sea of malice waiting to be unleashed. She had seen the King’s gaze, trying to look through her as if she was invisible, yet knowing deep inside that he could not. Everything around her was a constant threat, hanging over her head, and she was all alone facing it. And she could not bear it anymore. Whatever happened once she cut the ropes and let go could be no worse than this.

“But what if it is?” Gimilzagar asked. “Please, Fíriel. I only want to protect you! I do not want to…”

“Liar”, she cut him. Slowly, she drew closer, until their faces were barely an inch apart from each other. “You do not only want to protect me, Gimilzagar. I don’t have Elvish powers, but I know it. I make you horny.” At this, his cheeks grew even redder than hers, and he stuttered a word or two, but he stayed where he was, as if there was something in her face that mesmerized him and prevented him from turning away. “When we sat by the cliff, it was you who wanted to kiss me. Have you already forgotten it?”

Her question found no answer. Taken by a sudden sense of urgency, afraid that he would eventually emerge from his trance –or worse, that she would-, Fíriel leaned forwards before the astonished glance of two of the highest ladies of the Númenórean Court, and claimed Gimilzagar’s lips in a fierce kiss.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Perhaps Fíriel was better at taking care of his problems than he was at taking care of hers, Gimilzagar thought ruefully, as he forced his eyes to remain fixed on the tile patterns of the floor. He had been complaining that Father would not see him, and now, thanks to her, Ar Pharazôn the Golden had abandoned all his duties to give him his undivided attention.

“Did you do it to upset me? Is that it?” he asked, without wasting his time in greetings or preliminaries. Before Gimilzagar could even think of an answer to this question. Ar Zimraphel laughed.

“Really, husband! Are you so lost in your contemplation of my beauty as to be unable to notice the beauty of others?” All the eyes in the room instinctively turned towards Fíriel, who had been kneeling on the floor since they arrived, and did not move an inch or look away from it even now. “There are other reasons why a young man like Gimilzagar would want to kiss this girl, which do not necessarily involve you.”

“Oh. And did this great beauty drive him to do it in broad daylight, in sight of his nurse, your lady and their women? Was she too beautiful for him to do what he needed to do in private, without causing a scandal?”

Gimilzagar had no idea of the answer to those questions, since Fíriel was the one who had caused the scandal. And yet, he was the one being questioned, not her, and he was aware enough of the situation as to know that he had to endeavour to keep it that way.

I would be the girl you want in your bed, and that he will be able to understand, she had claimed, shortly before she took away his remaining ability to think, or to even register what she was saying. He prayed to all the gods in the world that she was right.

“I… I was not thinking, Father. She was - standing there, talking to me, and suddenly I just could not keep my hands off her. A- and perhaps my frustration because you would not speak to me played a part at first, but once I started, er, kissing her, it was as if nothing else mattered anymore.”

When Ar Pharazôn stared at him in incredulity, he had to force himself to remember that his father was reacting to the message, not necessarily questioning its truth.

“In other words, he is a man, though you still see him as a child.”

“I see him as a child? I, see him as a child? I thought I had been found guilty of the opposite failing, when I took him to Middle Earth with me!”

“A man does not necessarily mean a copy of you, Pharazôn. There are many men in the world, each of them different from the others.” Zimraphel smiled. “Though there are some things which appear to be common to all.”

“Oh, is that so? And if I had done this with you in public when I was his age, and Grandfather held the Sceptre, not to mention when your father did, how do you think that they would have reacted?”

“This and that are very different things. We were cousins…”

“She is a peasant’s bastard!”

“… our fathers were enemies…”

“And so are theirs!”

“… and, most importantly, those kings were not like us. They did not rule the world, and needed to grovel pathetically for the approval of their courtiers and councilmen so they could carry out their policies. My father spent over seventy years of his life trying to impose his beliefs, and not even the meanest populace would obey him! But now you move a finger, and all the peoples of Middle Earth cower.” Her voice grew passionate. “You no longer need to find your son a bride from the line of Indilzâr to keep the nobles happy. Whoever he chooses to bed, even if it is a barbarian from the most remote corner of the world, they will have to accept it.”

“A barbarian, maybe. But one of the Faithful? I thought that you, of all people, would remember the havoc wrought by the Princess Inzilbêth on the Palace and the royal line!”

“Fíriel is not one of the Faithful, Father” Gimilzagar argued, gathering some of his wits back after this disturbing exchange. “She left all that behind when she came here.”

“Oh, truly?” Ar Pharazôn laughed. “She told you so herself, did she not?”

“The Princess Inzilbêth has nothing to do with this” Ar Zimraphel spoke, before Gimilzagar could open his mouth again. “She was our grandfather’s wife, and the mother of his children. This girl will never have such power.”

The young Prince’s head spun, as the painful truth of this statement made its way through his understanding. Since he was old enough to remember, he had loved Fíriel, wanted nothing more than for her to love him back, and be by his side for ever.  And yet, he had somehow never spared a thought for the exact nature of this arrangement, or what it would entail for either of them. He had been so blinded by his feelings that he had failed to realize that someone such as her, even if both his father and mother would tolerate her presence, had no hope of ever marrying him or bearing his children. Whether it was the Sceptre, the Council or the nobles who controlled Númenor, whether they were forced into secrecy or not, the only role open to her was the woman in his bed.

And she had always known it, he realized, just like his mother and everybody else. When he considered her actions under this light, their new meanings took his breath away. She had left Rómenna and the protection of Lord Amandil to come here and live within the walls of this Palace, only because she was told that Gimilzagar was dying and she was the only one who could save him. But once that she did, she was aware that everybody would see her as Gimilzagar’s secret mistress, and so they had. And today, she had not been trying to tell him that she did not mind this – her true point had been that she could no longer bear this hypocritical arrangement where she was reviled and her life threatened for something that she was not even allowed to have.

Either way, there was nothing Gimilzagar could do spare her from this anymore. The only thing he could have done, to stop bothering her and ruining her life while he still had the chance, was a ship which had already sailed beyond the grasp of his new maturity.

“Well, then. If Gimilzagar does not mind parading her in front of the entire Island as his whore, I see no reason why this should be any of my concern”. His father’s words pierced his thoughts, throwing them into even further disarray with their callousness. “The only party involved who might object to it is Amandil, but his discomfort is none of my concern, either. As for the girl, I assume you gave her a reason to be willing, though if the reason is not between your legs…”

“Father!”

“Do not interrupt me!” Pharazôn’s voice was suddenly sharp as steel. “If you are not ashamed to do something, you should not be ashamed to hear it spoken. If the reason is not between your legs, I say, she may be disappointed. For she will never wield any power through you, or have an honourable position at Court. And if she ever has the effrontery of mentioning the lies of the Baalim-worshippers before the one mortal they have wronged the most, I do not care where she comes from or how much you want her: she will be dealt with just like the rest of her treacherous breed!” For the last words, she had walked past Gimilzagar, until he was in the vicinity of Fíriel, and forced her to look up until their eyes were in line. Her face was pale, and Gimilzagar could feel her terror, but she stood her ground and even managed a quiet nod.

He will not do that, my son. Do not fear, Ar Zimraphel’s soothing voice filled his mind, just as it had so many times when he was little. He has received many setbacks in the last months, and those threats are just his way of remaining in control. He will never accept that you love this girl as much as he ever loved me, and between your cluelessness and her impulsivity, you have provided him with a rather convenient narrative he can stick to. But deep inside, he knows. It is not a show of public debauchery what haunts his thoughts, but the vision of Fíriel holding your hand and bringing you back from the world of shadows where you lay trapped because of him.

“Now you may leave, and take her with you. But remember that from now on, she is your responsibility.” The King was looking at Gimilzagar again. “If you are truly attached to her, you will not let her step out of line. I hope you are at least capable of doing this much.”

There was very little of what Ar Pharazôn had said in that conversation which was not deeply humiliating towards either of them, even if Gimilzagar needed to consider it as a fair price to pay for Fíriel’s safety. But the last words his father had spoken gave him pause, and as he mulled over them, he was suddenly able to detect the undercurrent of resentment underneath.

“Father, please.” He had to speak fast, before the opening was gone. “May I speak to you in private?”

The King snorted. Regular mortals would have seen nothing but exasperation in his countenance, but Gimilzagar saw the pretence as well. His powers were growing – and yet, he could not help but feel more powerless than ever.

“I have no more time for your eccentricities, Gimilzagar. I am the King of Númenor. If you will not help me, at least do not hinder me” Ar Pharazôn said. “You have the girl, which is what you wanted. Now take her and leave, and count your blessings.”

The young man winced.

“But…”

“I said, leave!” It was shocking to hear the King raise his voice like this. Usually, a show of quiet displeasure was enough to make the bravest man in the realm cower, but now, it was as if those setbacks which, according to Mother, he had received in the last months, had slowly eroded the control he exerted over all his surroundings, bringing the hidden menace closer to the surface. Gimilzagar could perceive many feelings in disarray, some in open contradiction with the others. And yet, he saw also a strong determination sustaining it all, which was solidifying as fast as the mixture that masons used to keep the bricks in a wall together.

And he had just run into that wall.

“Yes, Father.” He bowed, then turned back towards the place where Fíriel was kneeling to make a gesture in her direction. She looked up; there was confusion, and yet also sympathy in her eyes. “Come, Fíriel.”

The girl struggled to her feet, and followed him in silence.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Ar Pharazôn let go of a long breath. It had not been problematic enough to have someone close to him intrude upon his thoughts: now, there were two of them, and neither in a helpful mood. He remembered Ar Gimilzôr, how he had always refused to meet with his own son, afraid that the Prince Inziladûn would steal his secrets and use them against him. For years, he had believed himself to be above this, just as he had believed himself to be above so many other things that his predecessors and ancestors had done. Ar Zimraphel was a powerful force, as wild and unpredictable as the Sea, but he was not an ordinary man, or an idiot like Vorondil. He would be capable of taming the Sea itself and earning its love and cooperation, wouldn’t he? And the day she bore a son, he was certain that the child would never be like the Princess and the Prince of the West who had preceded him, who hated their own fathers and plotted against them. Why would he? Unlike that collection of paranoid, superstitious tyrants, Ar Pharazôn the Golden was a proper father, and a proper King.

Of all those ironies, however, the most poignant was that he had never actually wanted to do this. He had changed his mind because of Gimilzagar –for Gimilzagar, one could even say. The boy could not be so dense as to ignore the implications of what had happened in the mainland: to have him elevated to the kingship would mean not only the ruin of Númenor, but also his own death. He probably would not even last long enough to take the Sceptre.

“Perhaps you are judging him unfairly.”

“Am I, Zimraphel? What do you think that would have happened if I had to get rid of his little friend, because a future King cannot be fooling around with a Baalim worshipping whore? What if I told him to assist me at the sacrifices for the King’s festival next month, so the assembled people can see him as my successor? And, what if I ordered him to accompany me to the mainland again, when I go there in a year, or two, or three, because there is a revolt that needs to be quelled?” He started pacing around the room. “He may have your power, but he is not strong enough to live with it. And, even if you managed to turn him into someone like you, do you think he can marry a powerful general to lead his wars on the mainland?”

“That is not what I mean.” Zimraphel replied. “You are angry, and you see his actions as an attempt to thwart you. But has it occurred to you that, when he pried into your thoughts, it was not to use them against you, but to help you? He would even offer to shoulder burdens he knows he cannot withstand, to keep you from taking a dangerous course of action. Perhaps you should take a moment to appreciate that.”

Pharazôn pondered those words, but he did not let them stay for a long time on his mind, for fear that they would fester. He could not allow himself to be weak, least of all now.

“To offer something that one does not possess is just a meaningless gesture” he said, rather more harshly than he had intended. “I meant what I said before, Zimraphel. If he cannot help, at least he must stop getting in the way. He had his chance; I doubt that he would thank me if I gave him another.”

“And yet you refuse to face him and tell him this much in words. You are treating him like an enemy, Pharazôn. When he was at the brink of death, he did not do it on purpose as an attack to you. When he kissed this girl, he did not do it to spite you. He does not hate you, but if you keep walking down this road, he soon will. And you do not want to fight your own son.”

Pharazôn laughed bitterly.

“Oh. Do you think he would make a worthy opponent for me?”

But she was in no mood for jokes, bitter or not.

“Stop it”, she hissed. “We have a very dangerous future ahead of us, Pharazôn. You are intent on following through with this course, so be it! But if it leads you to disaster, it will be your responsibility, not his.”

This direct attack had the virtue of making his temper flare again.

“And what do you want me to do? Gimilzagar was our only hope, and now it has failed us. Everything we did, the efforts we poured and the lives we spent to have him grow to adulthood have been wasted, for he will never hold the Sceptre of Númenor. All around the world, people see us as gods, but we will not live forever, and what then? Will we let our empire collapse, our line fail, our Island fall to strife and ruin? Do you know how many traitors lurk in the shadows, awaiting their chance? Answer!” Her silence fuelled his anger even more. “You were supposed to share the Sceptre with me, Zimraphel! You were here to tell me which way I should turn, where to step to avoid the snares of Fate, and yet you abandon me when I need you the most! If there is another way, I would hear it from your lips. And if you merely do not wish me to take Zigûr’s path, then stop hiding behind vague prophecies of doom uttered behind closed doors, and challenge me in the open! Or are you a coward, who does not dare oppose me until you see me brought down? Is that it? Do you want to see me fall, and then pick up the pieces and reign supreme over what is left?”

“Is that what you think of me?” She asked the question sadly, as if she had never been anything but a victim. As if she had never let her son go to the mainland with him, even knowing what would happen. “You are as bad as Ar Gimilzôr ever was, then, if you no longer distinguish your own wife and son from your enemies.”

“You already killed one husband in that manner, Zimraphel.” They had never spoken of this before, but now it was as if it was simply inevitable. She shook her head, aggrieved.

“He was not my true husband.”

“That is not what he thought.”

“Stop making me responsible for other people’s choices!” Her voice was shrill, an imperfect sound coming from perfect lips, and he was aware that he had struck a nerve. “I am not all-powerful, and even with all the gifts I was given, I am a mortal like you! I cannot put Gimilzagar under a spell, as Zigûr tried to do, I cannot reshape the world, and I do not know how to save Númenor!” Her uneasiness was now clearly visible in her features, and it gave him pause. He had not seen her this vulnerable in a very long time. “Wherever I turn, all I see is darkness. But if we allow this to drive a wedge between us, the darkness will only grow deeper, and swallow us whole!”

Perhaps he was being a gullible fool, like Vorondil had been once, and yet something in her eyes, in the way her voice trembled almost imperceptibly as she confessed her weakness, had the ability to disarm him. Doing his best to swallow his anger and suspicion, he sat by her side, holding her pale hand in his larger one.

“It does not have to be like this”, he said. “We can do more than just sit here, waiting for the darkness to find us.”

“Run towards it?” It occurred to him belatedly that perhaps she was not used to this –and if so, that her aloof, calculating demeanour might have been a way to hide that she was even more lost than he was, and yet too proud to admit it. If only he could be certain of this interpretation.

“No. Meet it on the battlefield, and fight it.”

“Is that how you think you can solve everything? By fighting?”

Pharazôn pondered this question. Of course, he was not as much of a fool as to believe that he could fight all the forces in the world and emerge victorious. Still, if there was a choice between fighting and meekly submitting to oblivion, she could not expect him to choose anything else. And if the gain was so great….

Then why don’t you ask Lord Zigûr, Father? He said that he knew the secret of immortality.

This secret is the most precious possession of those whom you call the Baalim, and the Faithful honour as the Valar, Zigûr’s voice remained etched in his memory, like the bloody line left by a sacrificial knife on tender flesh. They can make you immortal, like they did with the Elves, and strong while the world lasts. But they will never do it willingly, for they will not suffer Men to become as powerful as they are.

The people of Rhûn believed that Ar Pharazôn had defeated a god, and forced him to make him immortal. But he had only caught himself a demon, who could do no more than extend an appearance of youth and invulnerability to fool the superstitious and the gullible. The true prize had always been further afar, in the forbidden seas that his ancestors had always feared to sail. The true prize – or the sole escape.

“I have no idea”, he shrugged, feigning nonchalance. “The only thing I know for sure is that my mother bore me with the ability to take paths that others did not dare to tread. And it is because of this that we are here now, that we are King and Queen of Númenor and Middle Earth, and that you have a son at all.”

“I am aware of that, Pharazôn” As she extricated herself from his grip and stood on her feet, her eyes looked clouded by a veil of unreadable emotion. “And that is why I know that I cannot stop you. You have always made your own choices, and you always will. Do you think I could not tell? You never needed my foresight as, in your innermost of hearts, you believe that you make your own fate. And, who knows? Perhaps you are right.”

And before he could find a reply, she was gone.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel sat by the edge of the bed, her body wracked by violent shivers. She could hear voices floating around like the dull hum of the wind, insistent but unable to pierce the wall of her understanding.

“Leave us alone.” That voice was familiar. It was growing louder, closer, and more and more difficult to ignore. “Fíriel, I am here. Fíriel!”

She hugged herself, seeking warmth, but since the cold was not the reason for her shivers they did not stop after a blanket was thrown over her shoulders - not even when other arms encircled her and pulled her close.

Ssssh. The voice was not floating around anymore: it was inside her, and she could not help but listen, though she did not want to. She knew that it meant well, but also that it would inevitably remind her of what had happened.

I am sorry. But you cannot escape things this way. I know, for I have tried.

He was right, damn him. The smell was still on his clothes, on his hair, on hers. Whenever she closed her eyes, the blood was still there, too, as well as the pain and anguish, and the evil creature who stood before the altar, gazing at her in false pity before he buried the blade in the victim’s chest. She did not know the faces of those unfortunate men and women, both barbarians and Númenóreans –Faithful, she could almost hear the King correcting her with a cruel sneer- but wherever she looked she only saw Zebedin and his friends, screaming for mercy in voices that no one could hear under the loud chanting of the multitude. She felt lucky that she never had the chance of meeting her father, for if she had, she knew that she would have seen him, too.

I tried, Fíriel. I tried to spare you this, he said. Tears trickled down her cheeks, and it seemed to her that even they smelled of burned flesh.

“But you can’t, so what is the point in trying?” she hissed, rather harshly. “What will the Court think if the Prince’s Baalim-worshipping mistress refuses to attend the holy rites? At least I am allowed to stand at the foot of the altar instead of lying on it, though I am sure the King intends me to work hard to keep this privilege.”

Both his voices were silent for a long, uncomfortable while, but he did not let go of her.

“You were braver than I was the first time. I remember I had to be taken outside by Mother.”

“Lucky you”, she snorted.

“I am not lucky. Whenever I set foot in the Temple, every eye is fixed on me.”

“Except today, when they were fixed on me.” Little by little, the shivers were subsiding, though Fíriel still felt as if there was something surreal in this conversation, as if it was her mouth talking and not her. “How do you do it?”

“Practice” he said simply. Still, a shadow was on his face, and somehow she knew that he would eventually speak again, as soon as he managed to gather the courage.

“He made me do it. That was what almost killed me.”

It took a long time for the meaning of those words to register in Fíriel’s mind. When they did, she tried to speak, but the words would not come.

“I perceived the thoughts of my victim, and they were so strong that they took control of my mind. And then I… saw myself as he saw me, and I hated myself so much that I had to make sure I was dead. Only- the person I sunk my knife into was him.” Gimilzagar smiled mirthlessly. “It almost sounds like a joke.”

“Can you…. hear what they are thinking?” Suddenly, a new world of disturbing implications was opening before her. He nodded.

“All of it. If I did not, perhaps I would have managed to see the sufferings of the rest of the world as if they had nothing to do with mine. As if they did not matter. And then, I could have been a proper heir for my father.”

Something in this assertion troubled Fíriel, but she hid her turmoil behind a smile which was just as joyless as his.

“Perhaps. But I would never have loved you, so you would have come out poorer than you are now.” And she would not have felt the need to save him, and he would have died, and then those people would have lived.

“And I would never have been at the brink of death in the first place because I would not have fallen victim to my own mind, so I would not have needed you, and those people would still have died” he retorted, more passionately now that during the rest of the conversation. “Do not blame yourself.  Once you start playing this game, you cannot stop.”

“You are the last person in the world who should be giving me lessons on this” she retorted, defensively. “And stop reading my mind!”

“Do you… regret saving me?”

Her belligerence died as abruptly as it had come, as she perceived the trepidation behind his voice, and the sudden fear in his eyes. She shook her head, wondering how to answer without making either of them look like monsters. Perhaps there was simply no way to do that.

“I don’t. That is where all the guilt comes from.” She sighed. “If I did, there would be no need for it, would it? I would only need to gather my guts and stick a knife in you like a proper Faithful martyr.” His eyes widened at this, but he did not flinch. Almost as he was not wholly averse to the idea, she realized, growing angry again. “You cannot be asked to feel guilty for living. It is not fair.”

“And what is fair? Children being killed in altars because of the crimes of their parents? Villagers drawing lots to choose those who will be taken across the world to feed the Great Deliverer’s fires?” He shook his head, despondently. “Perhaps this is why the gods gave me this half-life, because they want Númenor to end. Perhaps my father’s efforts will not change this outcome, because it is the only outcome that exists, and I should stop trying to warn him. Perhaps it is for the best.”

Fíriel shivered again. As if they had been illuminated by a flash of lightning, she saw again the features of the last woman to be dragged to the altar. Her eyes were brimming with desperation, and she kept repeating that she had not done it –that she was innocent. No one had listened to her, just as no one would listen to any of them the day their world fell. They had long forfeited that right.

Suddenly, she realized that those were not her own thoughts but Gimilzagar’s, intruding upon her mind. Their darkness was so deep, so disturbing, that for a while there was nothing she could do except sit there, feeling the warmth of love and life and hope gradually trickle away from her.

No! her mind shouted, instinctively lashing back with all its strength. She could not allow this. No matter how guilty she felt, she would not surrender to it. She was here because she loved, because she hoped, because she wanted to live. And if one day she had to pay for it, they would never make her go willingly.

“Stop”, she whispered, turning towards Gimilzagar, whose arms were still encircling her back, to claim his mouth in a kiss. Surprised by this move, he did not respond at first, but she held firmly to him until she could feel his lips part. Kissing him over and over, she pushed him on the bed, where he lay on his back for a moment, staring at her in sheer disbelief and confusion. Soon, however, her hands were roaming all over her body, and she was growing irritated by all those clothes, and she knew that she had to take them off as fast as she could.

“Fíriel” he protested, alarmed. “Fíriel, what are you doing?”

Her own clothes were easier to discard, because she knew how they worked. Once he was presented with her naked body, his eyes grew wide, and he stopped resisting her.  

“What we should have done long ago”, she answered, her mouth trailing across his neck and down to his chest, where she could feel his heart beating fast.

“But…” he tried to protest again. Just then, her instinct –and some dirty stories she had overheard her cousin’s friends telling each other- told her to go lower, and his voice died on his lips with a groan.

“I want to have you. To feel your body against mine. To feel alive in this rotten world. And you will not deny me this, Gimilzagar”, she hissed, though she did not even know who she was angry with. “I came here to save you from the abyss, not to be dragged into it!”

He did not protest further, but his movements were too slow and clumsy for her liking, and soon she was trying to take his clothes off with her own hands again. Little by little, she began to notice his body’s responses to her touch, and when his own hand roamed timidly around the area of her breasts, she held it there.

“Fíriel…” he moaned. She nodded with enthusiasm.

“Yes. Yes.” The veil was starting to dissipate, and she could see it all: the light, the colours, the warmth of his body against hers. The shock in his eyes, giving way to joy, and love. Suddenly, it was as if everything had become crystal clear: why they were there, she and him, and why they should endeavour to walk this world for as long as possible, no matter how cruel, how ugly it was.

I can see it too, he whispered in her mind, as she closed her eyes to feel the touch of his mouth against her skin. Please, do not leave me. Do not leave me, Fíriel. I –I can see it now.

The next morning, as she awoke in his arms to vivid memories of their lovemaking, Fíriel realized that she was no longer able to tell where her mind ended and his began –but for the first time in her life, it did not matter.

Double Wedding

Read Double Wedding

The wedding was set to take place in the gardens of their house in Rómenna, under the cloudless sky of a spring day. Given their status as exiles, it had to be a private ceremony, which meant no nobles or magistrates in attendance, and no official representation from the Sceptre of Númenor. According to the Governor of Sor, who had been in Armenelos for a Council session recently, and whose comfortable relationship with Amandil sometimes allowed for the exchange of gossip, it was rumoured that the King had toyed with the idea of sending Fíriel, who was the Prince’s mistress now. But –as it was also rumoured- the Prince himself had opposed the idea quite strenuously, and in the end, Ar Pharazôn’s wish to humiliate his former friend had come to nothing. A part of Amandil would have wanted to see her again despite all the unpleasantness, to make sure that she was well, or at least strong enough to cope with her surroundings. Above all, he felt for Ilmarë, who could have had a chance to see her daughter again. But he could not ignore that such a trip would have been excruciatingly painful for Fíriel herself, as she would find herself paraded before those who had once been her own people in the gaudy robes of the abomination’s whore. Though he had only seen them together for a brief instant, Amandil believed he had the measure not only of Fíriel’s love for Gimilzagar, but also of Gimilzagar’s love for Fíriel, and he was sure that whatever had transpired between him and his father, he had been following her wishes. This thought brought him some comfort, though it proved brief as it hurtled fast towards its inexorable conclusion: that, even more than to be seen by the peasants who had already hated her before she left, Fíriel must have been ashamed to meet them, her own family.

He had not said any of this to Ilmarë, though of course she had found out anyway. She had not seemed too affected by the news, in the middle of the frenzy of wedding preparations, but as it had once been the case with his aunt, there was no true way to tell unless they were given leave to access her innermost feelings. Once, his father had told him that the Lady Artanis used to keep them under lock and key, until one day she lost the key herself and could no longer retrieve them. Ilmarë was not behaving much like the Artanis Amandil had known, unpleasant and bitter: instead, she was overflowing with energy, pouring her heart and soul into helping her mother organize a beautiful wedding for her future sisters-in-law, and looking as if she had no other care in the world. But he knew how many ways there were to lose oneself, so this brought him little relief.

Aside from the Governor’s gossip, Amandil had not received notice of anyone else from the Court of Armenelos, or even from the unofficial court of Sor. Nobody had sent any congratulations, preferring to behave as if they did not know that such a ceremony was taking place. Even those who sympathised with the House of Andúnië would be too afraid of the Sceptre’s displeasure to risk attending the wedding. And if they had been shunned and isolated, the brides were even more so: their mother had died on the previous year – a sad circumstance which had triggered the umpteenth delay in the ceremony-, all her former acquaintances had declined their invitations, and even their married sister had put forward some pretext about her daughter’s pregnancy that would not allow her to travel from Armenelos.

Lady Irimë had still been holding that letter in her hand, when she accosted Amandil to announce pompously that she had an idea of how to subvert the situation and turn a symbol of defeat into a symbol of victory. At first, he had listened out of pity for her plight, but he had to admit grudgingly that the ideas she put forward were worth considering. She said that theirs were the only two noble houses in the Island who had remained Faithful, and this had turned them into a shining beacon for all the persecuted and dispossessed. The fact that no courtiers, magistrates, or officials sent by the Sceptre were going to participate meant that they could finally discard all those shameful artifices through which they had been forced to comply with the standards of official weddings in the recent past. There would be no ghastly red veils, no heathen rituals or sacrifices, no ambiguously worded invocations. Theirs would be a purely Faithful wedding, like those celebrated by their ancestors before the Shadow fell upon them. And if none of the high and mighty would witness this, they would invite the Faithful of Rómenna, who would be able to see with their own eyes that their former lords remained loyal to the Valar and willing to defy the Sceptre by making a public display of their beliefs. This would create bonds of trust that would be more valuable on the long run than all their futile attempts to hold on to their former alliance with the Sceptre. Not to mention timely, considering that certain recent happenings might have caused some to believe they had strayed from the proper path and were no longer worthy to lead others in this, she added with a meaningful frown. Amandil, who knew that she was referring to the Fíriel affair, hated her more than ever for being right.

In the end, she had been allowed to have her way, and everybody else had submitted to her lead. The first thing she did was send invitations to all the most respected members of the exiled community to attend the ceremony. Then, she put Númendil to use, researching ancient ceremonies as they had been before Gimilzôr had lifted Ar Adunakhôr’s ban and allowed their family to return West. As it turned out, their ancestors had been wed using the traditions of the Eldar, which had an exchange of golden rings as the central element of the ceremony. During this exchange, they would pronounce invocations to Manwë, Varda, and even Eru Himself, calling for them to be witnesses to the union. That would give a strikingly solemn ring to the whole thing, especially since what the Faithful referred to as the sacred tongue would be required for all the proceedings.

The only significant obstacle to their plans was posed by the identity of the main participants. Aside from the married parties, this ceremony gave an important role to the groom’s father and the bride’s mother. Irimë and Irissë no longer had a mother, so an adequate replacement had to be found without marring the significance of the tradition. Númendil came to the rescue: according to him, after the Eldar came to Middle-Earth, death and loss had become a fundamental part of their lives, and this problem had grown common among them too. He had witnessed some of those weddings himself, where, under the influence of the Sindar, the Noldorin betrothed parties had merely chosen the person who would stand next to them in the ceremony among those they most loved and trusted. That choice would not be difficult, since there was little to choose from in the House of Andúnië. After a short deliberation, it was decided that Irimë would have Lalwendë, and Irissë would have Ilmarë. This arrangement would have the advantage of conveying that the brides already regarded their future husbands’ family as their own, and that they shunned the degraded remains of the house of Sorontil that still lived on in Armenelos. Irimë had nodded her approval, perhaps with a slightly too fierce gleam in her eyes. The replacements had both agreed, too, though Amandil could not imagine the thoughts that might cross his granddaughter’s mind as she stood there pretending to be mother to a stranger, knowing that she would never be able to do the same for her own daughter.

He had been roped into participating in the ceremony himself, for the lord of Andúnië, in exile or not, had to figure visibly in the proceedings. Since the bridegrooms were two as well, he would be accompanying Isildur, while Anárion would be left to Elendil. None of them had voiced any objections, either: Anárion, as always, was too much in awe of Irimë’s wonderful ideas to disagree with them, and Isildur had decided to act disinterested whenever he was confronted with anything related to the wedding, as if it had nothing to do with him. When he heard that Amandil would be the one to put his hand in Irissë’s, he merely remarked that this was fitting, since the wedding had been Amandil’s idea, and he had worked hard to secure this alliance. You will put it there, because I would never have done it of my own free will was something that remained unsaid, but Amandil could still hear it behind his words.

This attitude did not change even on the appointed day, as the afternoon sun began its slow decline and Irissë advanced towards them, her round face radiant and her cheeks flushed, while the audience fell as silent as Tar Palantir’s Court upon the summit of the Meneltarma. She had chosen silk robes in a delicate hue of blue, which complimented the colour of her eyes, though Amandil could not help but notice that her choice of hairstyle had not been as fortunate. Her golden curls had been straightened and braided in complicated Elven patterns, but her beauty was so thoroughly human, her forms so full and voluptuous, that it looked almost like a disguise. Lalwendë should have noticed that and said something, he thought briefly, before turning his attention towards Isildur.

His grandson had not moved, but not because he was overwhelmed by the moment, as others might –hopefully- think. From his close vantage point, Amandil could perceive his brooding mood, and he knew that his elder grandson’s stubborn pride would not allow him to budge from his position until he was forced to.

Amandil had no time for childishness. Compared with the sacrifices of others in those times, to wed and have heirs was not such a cruel fate. If only Isildur had loved someone else, he could have understood his reluctance, but as far as any of them knew, he was merely unwilling to limit his freedom by tying himself to anyone.

“Follow me”, he hissed. Isildur seemed to be pondering the convenience of pretending he had not heard, which would have forced him to repeat it in a louder voice and risk being overheard. But something in Amandil’s glance appeared to convince him that it was not worth it. Reluctantly, he walked towards his bride, and when Amandil laid his hand on hers, he held it. The lord of Andúnië’s glance turned towards Ilmarë then, who was invoking Varda with a firm voice, her hand encircling Irissë’s shoulders in a protective gesture. Though she had largely chosen the path that led to her own suffering –something in which her daughter had taken after her, he realized belatedly-, Amandil still felt more inclined to pity her.

Once she had finished, there came his turn to recite the invocation of Manwë, which his father had taught to him. As he learned it, he remembered asking Númendil about the survival of this custom, after the Eldar abandoned Valinor and the Valar themselves had cursed and shunned them. Why on Earth would they believe they were still being heard? But that, of course, only led to the awareness that it was the same with Men, who had never betrayed the Powers, and still were condemned by their own nature never to see the Blessed Realm and those who dwelt there, and live forever with the uncertainty that their prayers were being heard. To be able to give Men the illusion that someone was listening to them and making their wishes come true had been the sole reason for Sauron’s success in the Island, and the more he thought about it, the clearer he saw it.

After this, too, was over, the newlyweds exchanged their golden rings under the eyes of the multitude. Ilmarë offered Isildur a gift, some precious stone engraved in a mithril chain, while he gave Irissë a gold chain with a large sapphire, which she was about to drop because of the trembling in her hands. All of a sudden, Amandil realized that she, too, had to be pitied. If Isildur did not love her, at least he vowed to make sure that this was the only wrong she suffered.

Then, the time came for them to retreat to the background and leave their place to the second couple, who could not be any more different from the first. Irimë was tall and slender, which made the Elven braiding of her dark hair a better fit if one gazed at her from a distance, but she was very far from possessing the famed beauty of the Eldar. During the first months she spent at his home, Amandil had been unable to let go of the unease evoked by her uncanny resemblance to her father, Lord Hiram of Sorontil, whom he had last seen refusing his terms for an honourable surrender and calling him traitor for supporting Ar Pharazôn’s claim to the throne. Later that day, he had seen his face again, but he was no longer behind it, for he had been shot by the King’s troops while holding the beheaded corpse of his son, whose death he had caused with his pointless uprising. The man had been harsh, unyielding and stubborn, all traits which had led to the ruin of his family. Irimë shared much of those characteristics, and even though he had to admit that most of her insights were penetrating and clever, he had never managed to be rid of this residual hostility. He knew that other members of his family already resented her for her meddlesome and overbearing personality, and that they imagined him to be led by similar considerations, so he had never found it necessary to tell them the truth about his feelings. Now, it dawned upon him that this had been unfair to her too: once she was his granddaughter, he would make an effort to address this problem.

Lalwendë and Elendil led their son and their new daughter through the ceremony, with the expertise of those who had long grown accustomed to live under the public eye, and the calm security brought by their knowledge of Anárion and Irimë’s strong bond with each other. Amandil could not help but contrast their solemn but eager participation in the exchanging of the rings, and the quiet joy that possessed all the participants, with Isildur’s resentful reluctance. Perhaps his elder grandson had been right, after all: Amandil had been given the part in the ceremony that he deserved. But as it often tended to be the case, things were too complex to be judged in haste, and it could not be forgotten that without the first wedding, there would never have been a second. As Sauron taught the worshippers of his Temple, the happiness of an individual tended to rest on the sacrifice of others.

After both ceremonies were over, Amandil advanced one last time to beg Eru to be witness, and the feast started. Dusk was already falling by then, but the gardens had been decorated by what looked like a thousand hanging lamps, their light falling over large tables filled with delicacies. Wine flowed freely, and an orchestra of musicians played songs for the young and merry to dance to. From the corner of his eye, Amandil saw Irissë’s attempts to get Isildur to cooperate, and how everyone around them –including Ilmarë, who seemed to have taken her role as Irissë’s surrogate mother seriously- raised their voices in support of her, until he was finally forced to comply. Irimë, on the other hand, was not the dancing sort, but she and Anárion performed one flawless dance for the benefit of the guests before they sat to eat and talk quietly to each other.

Amandil did not approach any of them. For a while, he was too busy talking to the guests, and doing his best to make them feel comfortable. This was a harder task than it seemed, for most of them could never have expected to be invited to a feast such as this, and except for a few bold ones, most remained in the fringes of the party, talking amongst themselves and trying to remain inconspicuous. Fortunately, Elendil and Lalwendë proved quite helpful in his endeavours to create a familiar mood –perhaps a little too helpful, in her case. Still, when Amandil saw her engage in an improvised theatre play where she was supposed to be a dragon of some First Age story, and heard the children laugh and the adults stare at her in amazement, he turned away, judging his own presence to be unnecessary for the time being.

The wine had been mixed stronger than usual today, and it made him grimace as he took a sip from his cup, his glance trailing across the throng of guests in search of his father’s familiar face. Eventually he found him and started walking in his direction, a long and laborious road peppered with courtesy exchanges.

“He did not want to come, did he?” he asked, once that they finally stood within hearing distance of each other. Númendil did not need to ask who he was referring to.

“Of course not. This is not a proper wedding, only a dangerous travesty where evil spirits are invoked in vain to bear witness to sin” he replied, without batting an eye. Then, however, he sighed. “Also, he is not really in a shape to attend anything.”

“Is it that bad?” Amandil felt slightly ashamed under his father’s gaze. He knew that he should visit Yehimelkor more often, but since the wedding preparations had started, he had not only been too busy to do so, but also strangely reluctant to bear the old man’s thunderous displeasure. Perhaps he was just too tired of enduring the whole world’s censure to have to endure it in his own house as well. And yet, as Númendil would no doubt tell him, he had been the one who brought the old man here in the first place, so it remained his responsibility to see to his wellbeing.

“I see you are in a receptive mood to criticism today,” Númendil said, with an indefinable smile. “Is it because of guilt?”

“Guilt?” Amandil raised his eyebrow in surprise. His eyes followed the same direction as his father’s, and he saw that they had been looking at the place where Isildur sat drinking one cup of wine after another, after he had refused to dance any longer.

“I feel no guilt”, he declared, though he was aware that Númendil could read his innermost feelings. “Isildur is his father’s heir, and he needs to marry and continue our line. That woman was our best chance. Now, if he had chosen someone himself, at least…”

“You would not have wanted that.” Númendil sounded so certain that it even gave Amandil pause –almost as if his father knew something that he did not. “The choices of the young are often tumultuous and conflictive, and bring pain upon themselves and others. Look at Ilmarë, and her daughter.”

“It was not so with Elendil”, he argued. Númendil did not reply to this, but something in his glance made Amandil unpleasantly aware that he, too, had had a conflictive and tumultuous marriage. “And Amalket and I found a way to live together. It is not so difficult.”

“Oh, Amandil.” Númendil sighed, shaking his head. “When I told you of Artanis, and how she had grown unable to access her own feelings from hiding them so deep within herself, it was not Ilmarë I was thinking about.” The lord of Andúnië almost choked with the wine, and had to cough to dislodge it from his throat. “Ironically enough, she is not feigning her good mood. When she was told that the Prince had stood to his father to protect Fíriel, she saw in it a confirmation that she was loved, and that made her truly happy.” He sobered. “She is mostly living through her now.”

Long ago, Amandil had stopped wondering how could a man who seemed so distracted and isolated from his fellow humans know them better than he did. Still, as he involuntarily looked towards the place where Ilmarë was leading her sister-in-law through the steps of a new dance, he could not help but feel bothered by it.

“Thanks for the information”, he said, with sincerity and yet with an air of finality that conveyed that he did not want to continue discussing other people’s feelings, and even less his own. “By the way, I would appreciate it if you spoke to the guests and made them feel comfortable. Lalwendë is doing fine with the young folk, it seems, but there are others who might appreciate a subtler kind of encouragement.” As if to underline his words, a raucous fit of laughter greeted their ears from the place where he had seen her last, though the crowd was too thick around it to see anything. Irimë let down the cup she was holding with a sharp noise, and frowned in that direction. “Would you do that for me, Father?”

Númendil nodded with a pleasant smile.

“Of course.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Isildur had been wanting to retire since long before the sun had sunk behind the hills. He was not in the mood for merriment, nor did he wish to make small talk with others or dance, despite the wretched women’s insistence that he should do so. And still, he knew what would happen once he stood on his feet to leave, and this was something that he wanted even less. The thought alone had sufficed to nail him to his seat, where he set himself to the task of depleting the reserves of wine, until a servant came to regretfully inform him that Lord Amandil had forbidden them from pouring him any more. With many a curse, he tried to grab the wine himself, but froze in mid-attempt when he realized that, if they saw him stand, they would think he was going to dance - or worse, leave the feast with his new wife.

There is no way to win, is there? Malik chuckled. And yet you cannot stall forever. Sooner or later, you will have to fight this battle.

“Leave me alone”, Isildur mumbled, staring morosely into his empty cup. Malik arched an eyebrow at him.

Oh, so now you want me to leave. Do I make you nervous in your wedding night? Perhaps you should have thought of this before; for example, when I confronted you about it in the Grey Havens.

“I do not want you to leave. I only want you to shut up.” He had been very certain when he said it, and yet, when Malik spoke no longer, his unease did nothing but grow. But he was not going to admit to his weakness, so he remained stubbornly quiet.

Damn her. And damn the lord of Andúnië, his father and mother, Anárion, and Anárion’s radiant new wife too. Damn them all. The more he thought about it, the more he wished he had remained North of the Middle Havens, and given them and their schemes the middle finger. They might have the resources to build a settlement or two, but they did not have the resources to force him to return if he did not want to. He could see himself unifying the tribes and becoming a strong warrior leader, whose name would be a word of fear for any Númenóreans who dared trespass into his territory. He would have to live among the barbarians, yes, but at least no barbarian would make him marry against his will. This was something that only those who cared about their legacy and the survival of their ancient bloodlines more than they cared about their own happiness would do. If he needed to have an heir, he could train Tal Elmar to succeed him; after all, he already looked Númenórean.

You know, I am finding it increasingly difficult to remain silent.

“What is it?” he hissed, in a slightly louder voice than he had intended. There was a gaggle of women surrounding Irissë at a distance from them, and the one who sat closest to him turned around to give him a surprised look.

Is it really so bad? She is a good-looking woman, though she is not my type. She seems to love you, and she is not a bad sort.  Would escaping her embraces be worth forsaking your family, your heritage and the land of your birth, or are you simply being melodramatic?

“I would have loved to see just how melodramatic you turned out to be if they had forced you to marry someone other than Ilmarë.”

But that is not the same, for I was already in love with her. Or is it?

Suddenly, it seemed to Isildur as if his friend’s eyes were trying to probe inside his soul. This made him feel terribly uneasy, and he squirmed under the scrutiny.

“I am in love with my freedom.”

and with a dead ghost, Malik concluded. Isildur did not know whether he wanted to hide, or punch him. Even though he had already checked a dozen times that it was empty, he inspected the state of his cup yet again.

There has to be someone for you in this world, Isildur.

Still without looking up, the son of Elendil snorted.

“Did you ever, even for a moment, entertain the delusion that you were the difficult one?”

To this, Malik appeared not to know the answer.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Finally, Isildur decided to follow Anárion’s lead, so his own departure would draw less attention. He was reasonably confident that both his younger brother and his too serious wife would leave before long, and he was right. Once he saw them stand, he walked towards Irissë and offered her his hand. She took it, looking rather flustered under the complicit gaze of the other women.

Since the first time they had met, Isildur had realized that she was the kind of person who would talk and talk when she was nervous. Today, she was more nervous than she had ever been, so the speed and pitch of her voice increased accordingly. As an instinctive reaction, he began walking faster, though deep inside he knew that reaching their destination would not make things better. Not this time.

“… she did not think it was appropriate, but who cares? I am an adult, I have been so for years now, and I do not need her to be the judge of such things! It was bad enough when I was a child and she was always scolding me. I swear, sometimes I thought she would take issue with the way I breathed! But you thought I looked radiant today, didn’t you?”

“Yes”, he answered mechanically, increasing his pace even more. Behind him, he could hear her pant, struggling to keep up with his strides.

“And the hair? I had to rise from my bed when the stars were still in the sky to have it done like this, and do you think she was appreciative? Oh, no, she certainly was not! She claimed that it did not suit my features, and that I should have chosen a looser, simpler hairstyle. Be absolutely sincere, Isildur, what did you think of it?”

“Yes”, he repeated, seeing the corridor and the door at the end of it. When this was followed by silence, at first he believed that her need for constant reassurance had finally abated. But soon enough, his brain registered what had truly happened.

“I am sorry. I had lost the… thread for a moment. What were you saying?” The door was opened before them; as they entered, a couple of servants who were giving the alcove the finishing touches bowed and hurried to depart. One of them paused briefly on her tracks, as if doing a double take, and Isildur realized that she had been gazing at Irissë’s expression. He shut the door in their faces.

“What is it?” he asked, perhaps more brusquely than he had intended. But he did not want to deal with this. He did not even want to be here.

Irissë sat down on a low seat that stood opposite to the bed, in tremulous silence. All her buoyancy seemed to have suddenly deserted her, leaving only the naked nervousness in its wake. Isildur was not sure of what version of her he liked the least, but this one had the aggravating circumstance of making him feel guilty, instead of self-righteously angry.

“It is true, then? Do you… hate me?”

That was a rather preposterous conclusion to reach after he had just failed to listen to one of her silly questions, Isildur thought. And why now? He had been ignoring most of what she said for years. He had even left her to go to the mainland, and did whatever he could to delay his return. If his true feelings were so easy to detect, why would the stupid woman have waited until they were at this point?

“I do not hate you”, he replied, trying to be as honest as he could without hurting her too deeply. “But I am not particularly fond of the sound of your voice.”

“You think I am stupid, don’t you?” When she raised it, he liked it even less. “That I cannot see what you truly think!”

So she was keen on sincerity now, wasn’t she? Perhaps her overbearing sister had taught her that only married people could speak the truth to one another –even the truth that they should not have married in the first place.

He shook his head, biting back a curse. He would have kept this to himself, but she had forced it to come to the light, and now he would oblige.

“I mean no offense, my lady, but why speak of this now? I have always felt the same way, and my behaviour has not changed. I thought that you were happy with things as they were, and that you came into this marriage willingly.” Unlike me, the words remained unsaid.

Now, she sounded defensive.

“I did! I merely… I just…” Her voice trailed away, and for once in her life she seemed to have run out of words. “I was pretending. That –you know, that everything was fine. I thought that maybe, if I pretended strongly enough, it would become true… or at least, that it would seem so.” Now, her lips started twitching, and her chest shook with sobs. “But it didn’t. And I can no longer lie to myself. It is… it is too hard. I cannot do it anymore.”

Isildur had entered that room absolutely convinced that he was the wronged party and that she was at least partly responsible for his plight. Now, in a matter of minutes, she had somehow managed to turn the tables on him. She was crying, and he was the monster. Instinctively, his mind began calculating an escape route past her, through the door and then through a back door towards the cliff.

Stay where you are, you damn coward, Malik spat. If Isildur had been less distraught, he would have reminded him of the time he left Ilmarë in tears and sat on the beach of Andúnië for hours, refusing to return. But he did not even have the wits for that.

“Then stop pretending. We can both do it. Sincerity is… good”, he counselled, lamely. “I do not love you, and you do not love me. As long as we both know it, it should be fine.”

Irissë’s anger returned anew.

“It is n-not fine! Not fine at all!” She wiped her tearful face with a silk handkerchief, but no matter how many times she dabbed at it, it remained wet.

Do you think she picked you among many potential husbands who were lining up to marry her? Are you naïve enough to believe that she was given the choice that you did not have?

“Then what do you want me to do?” he asked, Malik as much as Irissë. Finally, the woman stopped crying, though she did not look any less miserable.

“Let m-me tell you something. I k-know you hate my voice, and that you think I ramble too much, so I will try to use as few words as possible.” He opened his mouth to protest, but she ignored him. “My father and my mother were betrothed as a way to repay her father, Palace Priest Hannon, for an important service he performed for the then Prince Inziladûn. They were not suited for each other. They could have tried to make it work, but, instead of that, they… they resented each other.”

“And yet they had four children”, he intervened. She shook her head furiously.

“That is because he needed an heir, and he did not get one until the fourth attempt! I was the third, so he was very angry when I was born. He thought that she had done it to spite him, I – I overheard them saying it in one of their fights. She, on the other hand, always claimed that it was his fault, because the Northern line had problems with male heirs. Irimë told her this was absurd, since he had been adopted, but as far as Mother was concerned, that only proved her point. She was not very clever, according to Irimë. When I did not do well in my studies, she always said I had inherited her brains…oh, but here I am, rambling again!”

Isildur had not said anything. He had not even thought anything that he was aware of, but perhaps something in his demeanour had betrayed his unease –an unease which had nothing to do with her rambling, and yet it might be simpler for her to think that it did.

“Go on”, he mumbled. But instead of resuming her story, she shook her head, and her large blue eyes grew fixed on his.

“Was it so wrong of me, to want something different? Whenever Irimë told me I was like Mother, I cried. I did not want to be like her. I wanted to be like the maidens in the tales, who followed their hearts and married for love. Back then, it was even within my grasp!” For a moment, she seemed at the verge of crying again. “Father had his heir. I had, not one, but two older sisters. Who was going to care about whom I married? They said I was pretty, so I dressed up, sought the attention of young men, thinking that, among them, I would be able to choose one who was not at all like my father. Irimë, of course, said that my behaviour was disgraceful…”

“And then, your father rose against the Sceptre”, Isildur finished, before she could lose her thread again complaining about her sister. And all the young men stopped noticing her, Malik added in a whisper.

“My mother did not shed a tear for him. All that she cried, she cried for my brother. I cried for him, too, but mostly, I cried for myself, because now I would never have the life I had dreamed.”

She is as selfish as you, Isildur. Malik snorted. Maybe that could be the common ground from which you can build a relationship.

“We seldom have the life that we dream when we are young.” Isildur meant those words as some kind of vague comfort, but they came out bitter. Irissë blew her nose on her handkerchief.

“When my mother began conversations with your family, I knew I would have to marry someone I didn’t know”, she continued. “But I still hoped we would grow to love each other. You could be the man of my dreams. And you would have to love me, because I would try so hard. We would be happy to live our lives together. Tell me, Isildur, where did I go wrong? I tried so hard! Am I so horrible? Do you love another woman? But then, why would you have agreed to marry me?”

Honesty, Isildur thought, was the only possible way out of this death trap.

“You are not horrible, and I do not love another woman, Irissë. But I never agreed to marry you.”

Her flabbergasted expression made the extent of the misunderstanding begin to dawn on him.

“But I thought…” Her eyes widened so much that they looked like they would leave their sockets at any moment. “So you were not…?” A pallor drained her rosy cheeks of colour. “Then, is this just like…them?”

Isildur reflected on this. From the looks of it, it seemed that she had the gist of the situation now. Her parents had never had a choice, they had not been well suited to each other, and they had blamed each other for it. All that remained was for her to bear one girl after another, and for him to think that she was doing it on purpose so he would have to come back.

There is one difference, you idiot. She had that experience and she shared it with you. Now, you both know what went wrong, and you can choose to act differently.

Isildur balked at this. He did not want to make an effort to solve a problem that was not of his making. He did not love that woman and he had been saddled with her; now, let Lord Amandil keep her happy or apologize to her if he could not. His feelings were in disarray: though his logical mind was aware that none of this was her fault, he did not resent her any less for it. And if she started crying again, he thought, he would turn away and leave her alone in that room until morning, rumours be damned.

But she did not cry. Instead, she looked up, and set her shaking gaze on his.

“Then, you do not need to worry, Isildur. I swore I would never be like my mother, remember?” Her painted lips curved in an eerie smile. “So I will never resent you, or blame you for this. I will behave like a proper wife, and one day you will have to see that it is not my fault, either.”

Or perhaps she is not as selfish as you.

For the umpteenth time that day, the son of Elendil bit back a curse. It is not my fault that she wants to delude herself, he thought, but could not say it. It did not sound right, and all his resentment was no longer enough to hide the guilt. No, it was not his fault that they were here now, but he would not be wholly innocent of what happened from then on. Especially if she refused to present a target for his frustration.

Slowly, he walked towards her and took in her entire appearance, as if he was looking at her for the first time. Her face was still red, especially her nose after blowing it with the handkerchief, and her eyes puffy from crying. This did not flatter her looks, but other men would have been looking further down, at her ample breasts, which heaved with every breath she took, and her curves, highlighted by the shape of her dress. They might also have extended a hand and loosened her beautiful golden hair from those ridiculous restraints, so they could admire the way it shone against the lamplight.

Why did he feel nothing? What was wrong with him? Would Anárion have managed better if faced with this situation, even though his love seemed to be for tall and slender women with dark hair and solemn faces?

You should have listened to the Elf, Isildur. I hate Elves but damn, that one was right.

Isildur took a sharp, deep intake of breath.

“If you want to be a proper wife, then perhaps we would be more comfortable in the bed”, he suggested. The hope that shone in her eyes at his words was almost physically hurtful, but he ignored the pain.

“Do you mind if I wash my face and paint it again? It would only take a few…”

“No” he interrupted her. If she started stalling now that he had made his mind, his resolve could be weakened, and then both would lose that battle. “You look wonderful as you are”, he tried, in a kinder voice.

“Liar”, she said, but there was no edge in her tone. Instead, she smiled, like one might smile to a young child who had tried their best writing down their name for the first time. “But thanks for the attempt to spare my feelings. You may even learn yet.”

Isildur did not know what to answer to this, but that was the moment that she tiptoed to kiss him, so he did not need to. Her lips had a strong aromatic taste, probably from the paint she had used to colour them. It was unpleasant, but if he kissed her enough at some point it would wear off, and then he might even learn to enjoy this.

Nice metaphor, Malik nodded.

That night, as he lay entwined with his wife in their marriage bed, Isildur dreamed of high mountains, of large forests and plains, and of dark eyes that bore into his with the silent promise of freedom.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel sat on the edge of the fountain, closing her eyes to listen to the gurgling trickle of the water. Once, she had been feeling homesick, and Gimilzagar had picked up on it, as he always did. He brought her here, dismissed everyone, and told her that as a child he used to sit in this very place, close his eyes, and pretend that he was sitting on the beach in Rómenna. Fíriel had not been convinced at first: the sound of a fountain was not even remotely similar to the deep and regular rumble of the waves, but she had not wanted to disappoint him. Soon, she had discovered that a fountain was alive too, in its own way, and that its movements and cycles also had a soothing regularity to them. Plus, it gave her a chance to be alone with her own thoughts for a while, something that seemed an impossible feat in this meddling, gossiping Court full of sycophants and spies.

She sighed. Today was the day. About a hundred miles away from this quiet courtyard in the middle of the capital of Númenor, Isildur and Anárion were marrying Irissë and Irimë under the gaze of their assembled family and guests. It was just a private wedding, apparently not different from that of any merchant’s son with the daughter of an associate, but it had turned into the main source of Palace gossip for the last month. The ladies spoke in scandalized tones of the outlandish rites of the Faithful, the priests debated if it should be considered a legal wedding at all, and, in much lower voices, everybody exchanged rumours about Fíriel herself, of whether she should have been there and the reason why she wasn’t. After gaining a reputation as a shameless whore, she appeared to be gaining another as a wily female who was driving a wedge between the King and his son. Which was rather ludicrous, as, in her opinion, Ar Pharazôn had only suggested sending her in order to upset Gimilzagar. If there was someone who wanted a wedge there, it was him, and she had nothing to do with it. And in any case, the only wedge that mattered to her right now was the deep, invisible one that tore her away from her family.

Since she was in the Court, she had tried not to speculate too much about what they would think of her, or the way they would see her back in Rómenna. But now, the notion that they could be humiliated by her sole presence had acted like a rather painful wakeup call. Everything she had heard after that, about the way they intended to use the ceremony to strengthen their position as leaders of the Faithful and keepers of the true doctrine, had done nothing but reinforce this impression. She had barely been given the time to feel like one of them -and yet, now that those ties were cut, paradoxically enough, the pain of the severance was a hundred times stronger than the feeling of belonging had ever been.

“Your plight is a sorrowful one, indeed.”

The voice jerked the girl away from her musings, and her sadness swiftly turned into alarm. Her eyes opened wide, and her breath caught in her throat when she saw the figure who stood before her. In all the time since she entered the Court, he had never approached her before, and she had taken utmost care to stay out of his way. When she was young, she had heard horror stories about him that kept her awake at night; once she grew up, she had come to the terrible realization that every single one of those stories was real. It did not matter how fair he looked, how compassionate or understanding his gaze was. He was a monster, responsible for the death of millions, and an enemy to her and her people. Wildly, she looked around him, trying to find an escape route, but he was standing in the only path that would lead her back towards the portico, and all the other courtiers had left. Perhaps, if she cut across the garden…. or if she let herself fall in the fountain and swam away…

“There is no need to fear me, Fíriel” he said, shaking his head indulgently, as if he was talking to a child. “I am not the one who wishes you harm.”

She shook her head. He just wanted to play with her mind. According to Lord Amandil, this was what he did to everyone, and she should not pay heed to any of his words.

“Excuse me, Your Holiness” she said, standing up and bowing to him. “I have to go now.”

“Please, I only need a moment of your time”, he insisted, sliding to the side so her escape path was blocked further. “It is very difficult to talk to you in private, without –unfriendly eyes and ears following our movements or listening to our words.”

“I really am in a hurry.” Her desperate wish to escape brought her to bump against him. Feeling her heartbeat thumping against her chest, she had the sudden, overpowering urge to break into a run.

Just as she was about to surrender to her panicked impulse, however, he caught her hand in his. His grip was not strong, or painful, but she had the strangest feeling, as if the ground had swallowed her feet and she had turned into a statue, and all her efforts to break free would be in vain.

“You really should listen to me. You are afraid of the wrong people, Fíriel. It is those you care about the most, whom you should fear. And you are in danger right now.”

Do not listen to anything he says. Do not listen to anything he says, a voice, which sounded like that of Lord Amandil, hammered in her mind.

“Really, I thought you might have figured it out yourself by this point. But then again, human intelligence is not always everything it should be. You already know that the Queen has been trying to take you to the Palace since you were a child, and that she did not cease in her endeavours until she achieved her objective. She said that you were the only one who could save the Prince. And yes, you healed him of a rather unfortunate ailment, but you have not saved him yet.”

Not saved him yet. Against her own will, Fíriel’s mind began working feverishly, and she remembered bits and pieces of conversations that she and Gimilzagar had held in the past. Belatedly, she realized that she did not know what brought them there at that moment, or in that order; it felt as if someone was showing them to her.

They have seen that, no matter what they do to keep me alive, I can still die on them.

You cannot be asked to feel guilty for living.

Black eyes, sad and solemn as they became fixed on hers.

The gods gave me this half-life because they want Númenor to end.

“Yes, Fíriel. The Prince lives a half-life, and unless he finds a way to break free, he will never be in control of his own fate. Not to mention all the unfortunate souls who must be lost for his sake.”

Souls that you sacrificed, she thought defiantly, her own senses taking the upper hand for a moment.

“But there is another way. The Queen knows it, which is why she was so eager to bring you here. For she knows the truth about sacrifice: if forced upon others, its power will not endure for long. The only lasting sacrifice is a willing one, like that of your father when he died for his friend.”

At this point, Fíriel was so lost in her turmoil that the knowledge that Sauron knew the truth about her parentage did not even register. All she was able to feel now, from the deeper recesses of her soul, was the need for him to stop talking.

“Yes, Fíriel. She is fattening you like a sacrificial animal. She wants you to die for her son, and she wants you to do so willingly. As I said, I am sorry for your plight, so I wanted to warn you so you would not fall for her schemes. That is all.”

Suddenly, her inability to move was gone, and she was able to feel her limbs again, her fingers, her toes wiggling against the leather of the shoe. She could run now, turn away from this hateful demon and bury his lying words so deep that she would not be able to find him again.  She could hide, and pretend that this had never happened.

As Fíriel broke into a run towards the portico of the closest gallery, however, and the abhorred figure disappeared from her sight, she was aware that it would be much harder for her mind to escape than it had been for her body.

Rumours and Suspicions

Read Rumours and Suspicions

Fíriel stretched her legs before her, careful not to drop the tray they had brought with her dinner, and examined the food in vague disgust. She was not feeling sick, though she had come up with this excuse to stay in her own room for an entire day. But she was not hungry, and she did not want to see anyone, not even Gimilzagar, who was probably mad with worry by this point. She felt sorry for him, and a part of herself loved him more than ever for not forcing his presence here despite her wishes. But she did not want him to read her mind. Unless she managed to find a way to bury her thoughts so deep that he would be unable to find them, she could not face him.

“You must eat something”, Isnayet crooned, taking her hand in hers as if she was a small child. “The Prince of the West wants you to get well. Do you see this? It is the soup he used to eat whenever he was suffering through one of his spells of sickness. The Lady Milkhaset’s cook made it for you.”

Gimilzagar’s spells of sickness. Those that would not be healed by eating soup, drinking medicine or lying in bed, because they were nothing else than the abyss of death opening again beneath his feet. An abyss that would not be closed unless it was fed the souls of other people. She had known that, or at least thought that she did, until now. Was she such a terrible hypocrite, that she could make peace with an atrocity as long as it involved others?

With great effort, Fíriel took a spoonful of the soup and put it in her mouth. It tasted of fish, though the taste was soft and seasoned by spices that she could not recognize. It was wonderful, and yet she needed a great deal of determination not to choke on it.

She was no hypocrite. And she was not afraid of being dragged against her will to an altar of fire together with all those unfortunate people, because that was not where her true value lay. As Zigûr –Sauron- had said, anyone could be sacrificed, but the only real, long-lasting sacrifice was the one that was done willingly. That was why Ar Zimraphel had gone through so much trouble to find her and get her, and also why, though she was the Queen of Númenor, she had suffered herself to be thwarted for so long by mere peasants and exiles. Fíriel needed to love Gimilzagar, to come to Armenelos willingly, and to be ready to sacrifice everything she had for his sake. Only then, she would truly be prepared for the role devised for her.

Fíriel could only imagine Gimilzagar’s reaction when he heard about this. Of course, he would never comply with his mother’s schemes willingly. Back when he lay in his sickbed, he had promised Fíriel that he would die for her if necessary, and she was certain that he would never agree to let her life force flow through his veins. But, did any of them have the right to refuse? If there was a way to end this curse, to prevent people from dying every year for his failing health, wouldn’t they deserve to be thrown into the deepest and darkest hell for turning their backs on it? That was the real question, the one that gnawed at Fíriel’s mind ever since that fateful encounter with the monster who called himself High Priest. Perhaps that was what she had been born for –to die so others would be saved, to be sacrificed in an altar so the heir to the Sceptre of Númenor could finally have his life back in his own hands. And if this was so, could she simply turn her back to the truth?

Truth? What truth? her inner Lord Amandil interrupted her thoughts. All that you have is the testimony of a spirit whose heart is blacker than Eternal Darkness, and whose capacity for deceit is unparalleled. You should know better than to listen to him.

If only there could be a way to check on this information without inviting suspicion, she thought feverishly, almost choking with her second mouthful of soup. Sauron had mentioned Lord Isildur and her father, and though she had always known that the latter had saved the former’s life, she had never been made aware of the details. Now, Isildur was in Rómenna and could not set foot in Armenelos, while Fíriel was in Armenelos and could not set foot in Rómenna. She could not even send him a letter that would not be intercepted and opened, as there was no one she could trust in this entire Palace, except for the very person that she least wanted to learn about this.

“That is why I told you that trust was important. That we needed to be a team.” Horrified, she raised her glance from the dish before her, to see the Queen standing at the threshold of the room. She must have forced her entry to her quarters while Fíriel was too absorbed by her own musings to even notice. “Lord Zigûr is cunning enough to take advantage of the smallest fissure to create a wedge for his own purposes –and as you are the most naïve link of the chain, he has started with you. Fortunately, his manoeuvres do not escape me.”

“M-my Queen.” Out of immediate instinct, Fíriel rose from the bed, and rushed to kneel on the cold floor. Ar Zimraphel did not stop her -probably because she knew that she was not truly sick-, but when the young woman rose, she motioned her to sit by her side. Everybody else had left, leaving the two of them alone in the chamber. Though the rational side of Fíriel knew that none of the women in the Palace were her friends, and that, even if they were, they would never stand between her and the Queen, she still felt a little more helpless without company.

“Fíriel, Fíriel”, Ar Zimraphel sighed, as if she was a fond mother scolding an errant child. “Like your mother, you are so determined to think the worst of me that Lord Zigûr immediately saw the advantages of attributing me the role of the villain.” She anticipated the girl’s protest, silencing her with a sharp gesture with her hand. “I will not disabuse you of this notion, as I believe it is a waste of time by this point. But there are other notions I want to clarify with you before my son gets wind of what happens to you, and he tries to kill himself for you in a grand gesture of love.”

Fíriel sat still, not knowing what to say, what to do, even what to think. Somewhere in the back of her mind, many questions were fighting desperately to emerge to the surface, but they would never make it past the knot in her throat.

“Yes, Fíriel” the Queen continued, as if they were holding a conversation between equals, instead of a monologue. “Zigûr was right about your father and his friend Isildur. He is also right about what you could do for Gimilzagar, if you died for him willingly. That is what he does –he speaks many truths, and just one lie among them.”

This time, Fíriel could not prevent herself from asking.

“And what is that lie?”

“The lie is that I brought you here for this purpose. Not because I would not wish you to die for my son if I believed this could work, but because I am not stupid enough to think it would. Long ago, I came to the conclusion that he would never accept your sacrifice, and might even feel inclined to forestall it by a sacrifice of his own.”

“What if he had no time to prevent it?” Little by little, Fíriel was growing bolder. “What if I was dead, and the only choice he had was between accepting the sacrifice and refusing it? Would he truly choose to let my death be in vain?”

“Oh, I see.” Ar Zimraphel sighed again. “You are thinking like a heroine now. Like the martyr that a part of you has wanted to be ever since it entered your mind that you were responsible for the death of others. Guilt is such a poisonous thing, is it not? Once it is inside you, you can never exorcise it completely, and it will drive you to attempt the greatest atrocities against yourself and others. That is why I have never allowed such a noxious emotion anywhere near me. My son deserves to be loved by someone who keeps a clear head and would never ruin his life in an attempt to help him.”

I did not ruin his life; it was ruined long before I met him, she wanted to say, but it did not matter that the words had not come through her mouth, for she knew that the Queen could hear them anyway. Not for the first time since the conversation with Zigûr, she wondered how Gimilzagar’s life could have been if it had belonged to him alone –if he did not depend on others to breathe and walk. Would he be strong enough one day to take the Island’s fate into his hands? To defy his father and the demon who dispensed him small morsels of borrowed life, and become a good King who would not tolerate sacrifices or persecutions in the lands that he ruled?

“That is the notion which I wished to correct, Fíriel”, Ar Zimraphel spoke, tearing her away from her thoughts. “Even if my son would let you die for his sake, even if he could be brought to accept your sacrifice by considerations of the greater good without this destroying him utterly, Gimilzagar will never be King of Númenor. He will never have the chance to change anything. Your death would not help the Faithful, or the people of Middle-Earth, or anyone. You are nothing but a small pebble trying to change the raging course of the river of Fate.”

Fíriel gaped. For a moment, she caught herself blinking, not sure if this was even real –if she was having this conversation, or it was just an overly vivid dream of those she often had of late, whenever she finally managed to close her eyes on her worries.

“What? Why?” It occurred to her that her mother would scold her for trusting the Queen’s words as much as she had trusted Zigûr’s –for being so naïve, time and again, before those who only wanted to use her for their own, dark purposes. But she could not help it. She did not control her own emotions, which even now were running wildly away from her grasp. “What do you see in his future?” In her agitation, she fell to her knees again, and sought the cold, black eyes with a beseeching look. “Please, my lady, my Queen, tell me!”

Perhaps the Queen’s tone was softer than it usually was when she addressed her, or perhaps it was simply her imagination playing tricks on her again.

“Gimilzagar’s future is not what is in question here, my child. He is merely a mortal, and like every other mortal, he will die one day. But his father has decided to wage war on the Baalim to acquire immortality. And whether he wins or loses, there will be no more kings in Númenor.” She sighed, and then, as if oblivious to Fíriel’s great shock, she extended a hand to caress a strand of her hair. “Gimilzagar has suspected this for a long time, and every night he dreams of it. No matter how the King tries to hide his secret counsels from him, his powers are too strong. If you truly want to help him, discard those vain thoughts of death and return to his side, because he will need you in the years to come.”

Fíriel could feel her pent up fear and anguish erupt in great, heaving breaths, and before she could prevent it, she was crying. Unexpectedly, the Queen stood from the bed, and knelt by her side to gather her in an embrace. At first she lay still, unwilling to give in to it and yet too afraid to pull away, but Ar Zimraphel persisted, until Fíriel felt herself surrendering to the warm comfort of the body wrapped around hers. It was surprisingly easy to do so, to dissociate comfort and warmth from the awareness of the twisted mind behind them. All of a sudden, she was not even sure that this twisted mind had not been just a figment of her frightened imagination. What if the Queen was just a woman like her, trapped between the love for her husband and child and the knowledge of the devastation they wrought? Perhaps, for all this time, both had merely been trying to survive.

Oh, you are hopeless, the Ilmarë in her mind sighed, as if she could not believe it. First, you trust the Deceiver, and now you fall in the arms of a manipulator. You might not be brought to die on an altar, but you will never be anything but a victim. And I am no longer there to save you from yourself.

“But I am”, Zimraphel whispered in her ear. “I will never let any harm come to you, Fíriel. One day, even your mother will have to thank me for looking after you where she could not. In the meantime, I will be satisfied if you listen to me. “She withdrew a little, and wiped her tears with her sleeve. “There, that is much better. Go now, Gimilzagar is waiting for you.”

Feeling suddenly self-conscious, the young woman began nervously arranging her hair.

“What if he… sees this? All of this?” She did not need to specify for the Queen to know what she meant. “Please, my lady, teach me how to hide it from him!”

The Queen smiled indulgently.

“As I already told him many times, that is something that cannot be taught. And even if it could, you would not be able to learn it. You are made of feelings, Fíriel. To teach you to hide them would be like teaching an Orc not to be evil.” She shook her head, and struggled to her feet, extending a hand to help Fíriel as well. “But do not fear. He has known his father’s plans for a long time, and they have been tormenting him day and night. When he sees your turmoil, he will even forget his own worries to try to comfort you. That may do him some good.”

But Fíriel still did not move.

“Is… Númenor in peril, then?” She remembered Gimilzagar’s dark thoughts the night after they returned from the King’s Festival, with the smell of burned flesh lingering on their hair, their skin and their clothes. His idea that Númenor would fall and nobody would listen to their pleas because they had not listened to those of others. Had it been more than mere morbidity, then – had it been part of his prophetic dreams? She shivered.

Ar Zimraphel, however, seemed to be no longer in the mood for sharing secrets. Regaining her full composure, she shook her head reproachfully.

“That is not how the dreams work. They show possibilities – sometimes only those that you fear the most, or even those that you secretly desire the most. Gimilzagar might learn to establish the difference someday.” She saw that Fíriel was going to open her mouth, and forestalled her objection. “He will know what he needs to know when he needs to know it, and so will you. Now, what you needed to know was that your death would accomplish nothing, so I told you. The rest is meaningless, and you should not inquire further.”

“But, my Queen…”

“I thought we were beginning to trust each other.”

Fíriel looked at her beseechingly again.

“Please, tell me only one thing. Will Gimilzagar live? Will he be safe? I swear I will not ask anything else if you tell me this. I swear I will not bother you again.”

Zimraphel sighed, and seemed to be struggling with her better judgement for a while. Ilmarë would have said she was pretending, that everything, even this hesitation, was a lie, and yet Fíriel had never seen anyone pretend so well.

“Fíriel, if I ever saw a future where my son suffered a terrible fate, I would change everything to save him, even if it meant the death of millions. “I would not merely have sacrificed my reputation or my wellbeing, but also that of others, Ilmarë had confessed, that evening by the seaside. “So rest assured, he will always be safe.”

Long after the Queen of Númenor had disappeared past the threshold, and Lady Isnayet had tiptoed inside the room again to pick up the cold food on the tray, Fíriel had not yet moved from her position, or emerged from the maze of her thoughts.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Wave rose above the horizon, a fast approaching menace that roared like thunder as it swallowed every light in the sky. He stood waiting for its impact without moving a muscle, paralyzed by an overpowering awareness of the futility of it all. He would not stop it; nobody could. And nobody could escape it, either.

“That is what those of your ilk tell yourselves, nothing more. Look at me, Amandil! I will not surrender. I am going to fight to the bitter end, and even if I fail, nobody will remember me as a coward like you.”

His old friend was standing on the prow of a war galley, attired in his resplendent golden armour. The blue cloak that Númenórean admirals wore at sea flapped with the wind, and he was staring at him with challenge in his eyes.

“What are you doing?” Amandil asked, taken by a feeling of horror which he could not fully define. “What have you done?”

Pharazôn smiled.

“I am becoming immortal.”

The former lord of Andúnië gazed beyond him, and he saw more ships, countless ships covering the entire expanse of the Sea until his eyes could not go any further. They were sailing straight towards the Wave, thousands of prows pointing at it as if in an attack manoeuvre.

“No!” he shouted. “You cannot do this! You have to turn back!”

But Pharazôn merely shrugged. The smirk in his face reminded Amandil of their fearless youth, when they stood alone against a pack of Orcs in a cave in Harad. Back then, he had never been able to tell if his friend was truly fearless, exceptionally good at pretending, or just a fool. Now, he suddenly realized that it did not matter – that it never had.

You turn back, Amandil. Turn back, and find a place to hide until this is over. I will not. I have never hidden from my destiny, which is why I have everything and you have nothing, for you chose to give it up without a fight.”

Amandil woke up with his brow covered in cold sweat, and his throat hoarse from screaming. As a resort, he rose from his bed, discarding the tangled covers with the urgency of a man freeing himself from bondage. Then, he abandoned the room, and rushed through the corridors until he reached a small terrace with a view of the Sea.

It was still night outside, a cloudy, moonless night that made it very difficult to see anything around him. And yet, he could hear the soothing sound of the rising tide breaking against the cliff under his feet. For a long time, he merely stood there, listening to the regular beat of the water as it moved back and forth, then back and forth again. In his dreams, this never happened –the water just left, and this was followed by a clamorous silence that lasted minutes, perhaps hours, until it came back to destroy everything and everyone in its path.

Once he finally came back to his senses, Amandil made an effort to remember what he had just seen. The Wave had been there, as always, but he had also seen Pharazôn, and ships –more ships than he had ever seen in his life, even back when they had sailed to the mainland to invade Mordor. This had an explanation: only the previous day, as he and Elendil had been visiting the Governor’s palace in Sor, they had heard rumours about the Sceptre building new shipyards in the North of the Island. Elendil had frowned and remarked how odd this was, since most of the Sceptre’s armies were already stationed in Middle-Earth and did not need any more ships to go where they were needed. Some merchant had joked that perhaps the King intended to go West, and conquer the Baalim themselves. These light-hearted words had given him a sudden bad feeling, like the cold grip of death closing around his heart. He had been out of sorts enough as to confess to Elendil his worry that the King’s unstoppable lust for glory and risk might lead him to conceive the delusion that, after his defeat of Sauron, he could take on his elder kindred. His son had endeavoured to convince him that it had been a poorly-thought joke and nothing more, and that not even Ar Pharazôn could be so foolish. But Amandil was not so easily humoured, and he had perceived the hidden concern in Elendil’s eyes.

As if in a dream from another life, Amandil remembered the time when he would barge into Pharazôn’s rooms, and confront him about rumours like this. It was almost impossible to believe that he had once been the King’s advisor, the man he trusted above all others. He wondered what would happen to him now if he took a horse, travelled to Armenelos and stood by the gates of the Palace demanding to see Ar Pharazôn. Probably that he would be arrested and thrown into a dark prison to rot until the King no longer remembered that he existed. He had never forgiven him for what he saw as Amandil’s betrayal of their friendship, and he remained too proud and stubborn to ever admit the truth: that of the two of them he, not Amandil, had been the one who had changed under Sauron’s influence.

Once again, the former lord of Andúnië felt tempted to lose himself in speculation, of how everything might have turned out if he had put a greater effort in holding on to his old friendship. If he had held his temper in check better, humoured Pharazôn more, and remained by his side, would his efforts have presented him with a chance to change things now? Almost immediately, however, he berated himself for falling into this trap. He should know well enough by now that such thoughts were useless. If he had done all that, right now he would be no different from the Governor of Sor and the other councilmen and courtiers who crowded the Palace of Armenelos. Pharazôn would not listen to him, just as he never listened to them, and not even Amandil could have come up with a reason why the King should pay heed to a sycophant who bit his tongue every day and lied between his teeth to keep his position. Their friendship would still have died, if a slower, more painful, and less honourable death.

I am becoming immortal, the Pharazôn in his dream had said. Immortality, the one thing that the King of the World still did not have. Amandil had heard abundant rumours of the strained relationship between him and the Prince of the West, and under this light, he could not help but find those words even more ominous.

“Are you still thinking of what that merchant said?” a familiar voice interrupted his turbulent thoughts. Amandil did not turn back; he was not sure that he wanted anyone to see his face right now.

“I have dreamed of it”, he admitted, in a low voice. Elendil leaned on the railing beside him and remained silent for a while, probably mulling this over.

“Even if he were to invade Valinor, do you think that this has a connection to the Wave in your dreams, the one that sinks Númenor?” he finally spoke. “Perhaps it is just him and his mighty army, the ones who are destined to sink. And perhaps this might bring hope to the rest of us.”

“Hope?” Amandil laughed. “If Pharazôn dies and his army is gone, Sauron will make a bid for the Sceptre. And he will probably be successful, I daresay.”

“Without the King and his army, I would fight Sauron for the Sceptre myself”, Elendil retorted. Surprised, Amandil realized that his son’s eyes had a gleam of determination that he had not seen in a long time. “I did not swear fealty to any servant of Morgoth, and I am not scared by his priests, his spies or his sycophants. If it should come to that, I would not let him have this Island.”

In normal circumstances, Amandil would have been impressed by his son’s resolve. But this time he had the dreams clouding his mind, whispering in his ear that everything was in vain –that the Wave meant the doom of all, the end of Númenor, and there was no way out of it. Perhaps it was those dreams, what had made him into a coward. Perhaps they needed a leader like Elendil, who would not be weighed down by them.

Then again, considering Pharazôn’s trajectory, perhaps a cowardly leader was just what they needed right now.

“We must increase the speed of our colonization endeavours up North. Pelargir is no longer a safe haven: if too many Faithful sail from the Island at once, the city council will grow suspicious. Anárion said that the colony he and Isildur built in the land of the Forest People would soon be able to take regular settlers. I think it is time to send him back with a ship full of them.”

“About that.” Elendil gazed down, almost as if he could see the invisible dance of the waters below. “The reason why I am awake is that Eluzîni was summoned to Irimë’s rooms about an hour ago. She has been sick, and – they think she is pregnant.”

“What?” Amandil’s eyes widened, and for a moment, he forgot about his dreams and his worries. “That is wonderful news! You should have told me earlier!”

“I am sorry, Father. As I said, they are not sure yet. But if it turns out to be true, perhaps Anárion should stay here. Isildur could go instead.”

“Isildur still has a child to make, and he will hardly accomplish that task if he is in the mainland all the time”, Amandil retorted. Then, he sighed. “It is too soon to say yet; we will make the provisions once we are certain of Irimë’s news. But keep this in mind, Elendil. If my dreams, and Father’s, come true, it might come to a choice between leaving their families now and dooming them later.”

Elendil did not protest this assessment. With his usual, quick judgement, he seemed to have decided that Amandil’s dreams were a just a higher form of wisdom than his own logic. Unlike Pharazôn, his son had never felt tempted to underestimate what he could not understand.

“I see.” He shook a little, as if suddenly realizing how chilly the air was. “Well, perhaps we should go back inside now, and try to sleep a little before dawn. Eluzîni will be very excited tomorrow, and I will need strength to keep up with her. Also,” He gave Amandil a meaningful glance, “I heard Anárion claim once that the dreams never strike twice on the same night.”

“Do not worry about me,” Amandil’s tone sounded a little cutting, and he endeavoured to soften it with a smile, which still came up tense. No, there would be no more sleep for him tonight. “Old people do not need as many hours of sleep as you young people do.”

“Oh, yes. Twenty years really make a difference when you are a hundred and seventy” Elendil snorted. He probably did not even find it funny, but understood the dismissal of his concern and accepted it. “Good night, Father.”

“Good night, son”, Amandil replied mechanically, his mind once again wandering towards the ship-infested sea, the Wave, and Pharazôn’s arrogant smile.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“I say it is a boy”, Ilmarë claimed, taking her seat next to the bed where Irimë had been propped over a mountain of silk cushions. “The sickness has started too early for a girl.”

“And I say it is a girl”, Irissë retorted. As she said so, she gave her sister a look of defiance, as if challenging her to object. “Mother always said that she spent all the time vomiting while I was in her womb.”

Irimë looked pale, and her lips were dry, but a woman like her was never too sick to argue.

“There is no way to know that yet. Your arguments are flimsy, based on superstitions and parallels with other women whose constitution had nothing to do with mine.”

“She was our mother!” Irissë cried. “And she had a lot of girls, and only one boy.”

“That is a fallacy” Irimë replied calmly. “I could as well have taken after the house of Hyarnustar and have two boys and a girl, like the Lady Lalwendë here.”

“We were born to the house of Forostar.”

“If you are as stupid as Mother, who could not distinguish ties of blood from ties of adoption, I worry about your own children, the day you have them.”

It was at times like this when Ilmarë missed Fíriel the most, she thought. If she had been here now, she would have been rolling her eyes at her from a safe spot behind the two sisters. Perhaps she had managed to find some complicity even in the hostile wasteland of emotion that was the court of Armenelos, she mused hopefully. She was an honest, innocent, likeable girl: if there was someone who could convince the most warped minds that she did not pose a threat to them, it was her. Even if it was of no real help to Fíriel, Ilmarë had found that at least she could sleep better when she imagined her smiling than when her mind was overwhelmed by considerations of everything that could go wrong.

“I was glad to hear that Anárion would stay until his child is born”, Eluzîni chimed in at that moment, breaking the argument. Irimë’s expression sobered at this. Ilmarë knew it from long acquaintance and observation of her moods, because a stranger would not see the difference, but her eyes grew somewhat narrower and her lips thinner whenever she was really serious.

“He will not stay here. We spoke about it this morning.”

Eluzîni stared at her in dismay.

“What? Why?”

“Because his place is at the other side of the Great Sea.”

“Nonsense! His place is here, with you! Wait for me here, I will go and talk to him…”

“There is no need to do that”, Irimë cut Ilmarë’s mother before she could storm off. “It was my idea.”

“Your idea?” For a moment, it was as if Eluzîni’s brain was simply unable to absorb this statement. “You told him to go? But… why on Earth would you do that?”

Ilmarë saw Irissë shrug, and give her a look that might as well be stating out loud that it was useless to argue with her sister when she had made her mind about some crazy endeavour. Eluzîni, however, was not looking at her.

“He is needed there. Without him, there will be no colony.”

“Isildur will be there! He knows the land just as well, he can handle things by himself for a while!”

Irimë snorted, perhaps a little too unkindly for Ilmarë’s liking.

“Isildur does not even speak the native language. All he cares about is fighting. To organize a settlement and establish diplomatic relationships with allies are tasks that do not interest him, and he is the sort of person who treats what does not interest him as if it did not exist.” All of a sudden, it seemed as if she was looking straight at her sister, whose cheeks flushed in anger.

“That is not true! My husband is capable of fulfilling any task, whether he likes it o –or not.” The second of hesitation was sadly telling; Ilmarë was sure that her mother had noticed it as much as she had. Damn Isildur. “You… you are the one who does not want him to go on his own, because you want your husband to be in control of everything and besides, you are jealous because he is not the heir!”

And Irissë was remarkably quick to recover.

“That is enough, Irissë!” Eluzîni had finally decided to adopt her rare tone of authority. “I will tolerate no childish rivalries in this house. We are all adults and we are aware of our duties and our privileges.” Irissë looked down, ashamed, but not so Irimë, who merely laid her head back on the cushions as if she was a queen on her throne. Though her tone softened again before she addressed her, it was obvious that Eluzîni was feeling bothered by her above all. “Irimë, it is commendable that you show so much concern for the family’s enterprises. But there is no need for such a great sacrifice on your part. Not for this.”

The elder daughter of Lord Hiram shook her head.

“As you said, my lady, I am aware of my duties, and Anárion is aware of his. According to the lord of Andúnië, the colonization project may well be our only salvation in the near future, so nothing should be as important as this right now.”

“Your child is also important”, Eluzîni argued. “If there are no new generations, there will be nothing to save!”

“And yet I can bear it myself.” Her tone of determination was so good that it made Ilmarë feel, deep inside, that continuing to argue the point was useless, even preposterous. If Irimë had been a man she would have usurped the lordship already, she thought, not for the first time. “To be honest, Lady Lalwendë, I would trust you more with the wellbeing of my future child than I would trust any man, even my beloved husband.”

And that, of course, was the final master touch.

“Well, that much is probably true, but…”

The final objection trailed away into nothingness as Irimë’s face paled, and she demanded the basin to throw up again. But Ilmarë could see her mother still looking at her with a vague unease, even as she laid a comforting hand over her shoulder and patted her back.

 

The Pearl of the North

Read The Pearl of the North

“Pssst! Psssst!” Ilmarë sat with her nose deeply buried in the pages of her book, pretending not to hear the rather unsubtle attempts to attract her attention. This, however, did not discourage the invisible presence hiding behind the curtains. “Aunt Ilmarë!”

 

With a sigh, the daughter of Elendil let the book she had just picked rest on her lap, and turned an eye towards the points of the small feet sticking out where the dark velvet of the curtain met the white marble of the floor.

 

“Faniel”, she greeted, trying hard not to let her voice betray her amusement. “What devilry are you trying to implicate me in this time? You can come out now, I promise I am quite alone.”

 

But Anárion’s firstborn did not move from her hiding place.

 

“She will look for me here.”

 

That she will, Ilmarë had to admit. They had had some disagreements in the past about Irimë’s habitude of barging into her sister-in-law’s rooms unannounced, but it was not as if she had much of a righteous leg to stand on by this point. Harbouring criminals –or, in this case, girls fleeing their lessons- was an activity that entailed a number of risks.

 

“I want to go to the beach and play.”

 

Ilmarë put the book aside on the table.

 

“That is impossible. You will be stopped by the gates. And do not even think of asking me to lie for your sake, because thanks to you, all the gate guards have been instructed not to trust my word anymore.”

 

“I was not going to ask you that”, the curtain replied, in a tone which implied that the very suggestion was ridiculous. “I have a much better plan. Do you know the old wall next to the flowerbeds, in the back garden?”

 

The “much better plan” involved Ilmarë distracting Irimë by acting suspiciously while Faniel climbed the wall in the back garden, and then pretending to go on a walk alone to meet with her outside. She did not know if “better” was quite the word for it, but it was true that the girl’s plans were growing more elaborate with time. It was ironic that she would pour so much thought and ingenuity in her attempts to escape her mother’s determination to train and develop her intelligence. A charitable part of Ilmarë wanted to believe that Irimë did it on purpose, to encourage her daughter to develop her strategical skills, knowing that failure would entail endless hours of studying dusty scrolls locked up in her room. Still, though she and Anárion had so far failed to produce a male heir, Ilmarë doubted that even a woman of her ambitions would go as far as to picture her eldest leading armies in the mainland.

 

In any case, whatever the real reason for her actions was, it should have been none of Ilmarë’s business. She was just Faniel and Lindissë’s aunt, and though she once had her own child, she had no authority to give anyone lessons in motherhood. Her daughter had been raised by others, and once that she became a woman, Ilmarë had not moved a finger to prevent her from leaving the safety of Rómenna for a place of unspeakable dangers. Sometimes, she even doubted that Fíriel had ever seen her as a mother at all.

 

Ilmarë was a member of the house of Andúnië by birth, and she was supposed to care about its welfare and that of her relatives. But inside her soul, she could find no deep ties joining her to the fate of others, except those tying her to the girl whose fate she could no longer touch. It should have been easy to live on quietly, a mere spectator to the comings and goings and the petty troubles of the people who surrounded her. To pat Faniel in the head and tell her to pay attention to her mother, who knew what was best for her. Instead, she had let herself be implicated in her schemes since the girl was old enough to babble her first words. And whenever Faniel chose to trust her above her own mother, whenever she gazed at her with eyes full of childish love and admiration, instead of feeling guilty, she felt happy. Even if the girl was already old enough at eight to take advantage of this situation to manipulate her, as Irimë herself had warned her once.

 

“Not so fast! There are holes in this plan. How will you cross the house and reach that garden without being spotted by your mother or her women?”

 

“Through the back door in your yard”, Faniel piped quickly. “I only need the key. Please, Aunt, hurry! They will be looking for me now, and if they find me here, I will be in great trouble!”

 

And so will I, Ilmarë thought.

 

“You are aware that you will be in much greater trouble if you do leave the house and manage to reach the beach, aren’t you?”

 

“I will tell them that I did not really want to go, but you asked for me specifically.” Ilmarë was torn between outrage at her unbelievable cheek, and pity for an eight-year-old who had been taught to use the word “specifically”. “Aunt Irissë says that you miss your daughter and that’s why you want to be with me.”

 

“Your Aunt Irissë is a loudmouth, and if you repeat what she says you will be like her. And you do not want that”, Ilmarë spat. Instead of looking chastened, Faniel nodded wisely.

 

“Mother is always saying that, too.” Then, without warning, the gloves came off, and she adopted her best wide-eyed, piteous look. “Please, please, please. You cannot let her lock me up until I know the Ainulindalë by heart. There is sun outside and it is very warm and that would be cruel!”

 

“Well”, Ilmarë looked at the stars painted in her ceiling, letting go of a long breath, “perhaps it will be raining when you have to spend a week without setting foot outside after she catches you. Or perhaps not, it is none of my business.” She stood up, and started rummaging through the drawers and boxes in her bower. “There. You can have the key. Use it wisely.”

 

“Thank you, Aunt Ilmarë, you are my favourite!” the girl cried, emerging from her hiding place and grabbing it with the same enthusiasm with which a son of Fëanor would grab a Silmaril. The woman rolled her eyes.

 

“You could show your thanks by not incriminating me too much if you are caught on the way!”, she shouted after her, but the girl was already gone. Left alone, Ilmarë closed the drawers carefully, and sat back on her chair with the book in her hands.

 

Soon afterwards, the sound of raised voices distracted her from her pretence, and she raised her eyes from the blurred lines. Had the girl been caught so soon? To her own surprise, she was saddened by the idea of not being able to go to the beach with Faniel, despite knowing how hare-brained the plan had been in the first place, and how very angry Irimë would be at her if they had done it. Perhaps the loudmouth was just a little too right for comfort.

 

As she was still trying to discard those useless regrets, she heard footsteps drawing close. To her shock, she realized that they were not coming from the front door of her chambers, but from the back. She only had time to fix her eyes back on an undetermined page of the book and pretend to be absorbed by it, before Irimë emerged from the backyard in all her righteous glory, her footsteps trailed by two ladies and a very chagrined eight-year-old girl.

 

“… and no matter how clever you think you are, remember this well: I am much cleverer than you!” her sister-in-law was admonishing her daughter as they came in. Then, her eyes fell on Ilmarë and her anger was instantly redirected. “And you! You insist in aiding and abetting her ill-advised attempts to evade her lessons and run wild like an uneducated peasant!” The shot embedded itself a little too close to the target for Ilmarë’s liking, but she was able to keep her composure. “Now, you even give her a key so she can leave the house, and then what? Was she going to wait for you after she climbed the wall, or did you just intend to let her roam across the wide world on her own, without anybody to protect her?”

 

The second shot’s aim had been true. Ilmarë let the book fall.

 

“These are my rooms, Lady Irimë. I will not tolerate to be scolded like a child in here, much less in the presence of one”, she said, with as much dignity as she could muster. At least, this seemed to give her sister-in-law some pause, if only to send the other women away with the girl, under strict orders not to drop their vigilance for a moment.  But apparently, she was not finished with Ilmarë.

 

“I apologize, my lady, for that was uncalled for. As uncalled for as it is for you to interfere in my attempts to raise and educate my daughters” she said. It was remarkable how she could apologize and demand an apology in the same breath, Ilmarë thought wryly. “I am aware of your circumstances, and that is why I have always endeavoured to treat you with understanding and respect. Still…”

 

That was too much. For a moment, Ilmarë no longer saw a book, the face of a woman, or even her rooms: she only saw red.

 

“Then do not” she hissed. When she realized that she had succeeded in shutting Irimë’s mouth even for a moment, she went on. “Do not treat me with understanding or respect. Whatever you want to say to me, say it to my face, and I will return the courtesy. I was a terrible mother, I ruined my child, and now I am trying to ruin yours. Is that, by chance, what you wanted to say?” Her voice had risen, but she did not care who might be listening. “Is it?”

 

Irimë shook her head, gazing at her with a look that Ilmarë did not know how to decipher.

 

“I would not presume to judge…”

 

“But you do!” Ilmarë felt some strange emotion being unleashed within her, one that made her want to punch her sister-in-law on the face, and not merely for who she was or what she had said, but because she was there. “You do it all the time! You think that I am a bad mother and you are perfect. But if that is so, then why do you have to chase after your daughter all day? Why is she so desperate to be away from you?”

 

Irimë’s eyes widened: she had clearly not been expecting this. Her weakness, however, did not last much; after a split second her features sobered, and the emotion was gone.

 

“Because she is too young to know that I am doing what is best for her.”

 

“As you did for your sister? She is an adult and she still resents you!” Ha, and there it was again, flickering in and out of her eye.

 

“You are obviously too upset to have a civilized conversation.” Irimë shook her head with a long-suffering sigh. “While, funnily enough, I am the wronged party, but that is how childish temperaments react when they are rightfully challenged. I will leave you to your reading, my lady, and a good day to you.”

 

Ilmarë bit back a very unladylike curse. Damn that woman. She had got her into this state, left her with no one to target, and now she would pretend that everything was Ilmarë’s fault. If something was her fault, it was that she should have known better than to allow herself to be provoked.

 

“And to you too, Lady Irimë” she managed to coax out of her system, accompanied by an exaggerated bow. “The sun is out and the birds are singing, it is a good day to keep a child reciting meaningless words in a dark room.”

 

If only she could go back in time, and an eight-year-old Fíriel was standing before her, she would have taken her to the beach and played every day. She would never have wasted her time with meaningless cruelties that would not avail either of them once the shadows came for her.

 

Fortunately for her dignity, Irimë left the room without turning back- for, if she had, she would have caught a glimpse of a lone, very undignified tear rolling down Ilmarë’s cheek.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

“No, no, no, look.” Fíriel took a deep, sharp breath, her eyes fixed on the light blue orbs that kept darting quick and terrified looks in every direction. She pointed at her own chest. “I, happy. See?” She smiled, but the smile died on her lips when it did not elicit any kind of recognition. Did those people even know what a smile was? Perhaps they did not smile in their daily lives, just as there were barbarians who did not eat meat or did not know how to build houses. “You happy, too. We all happy. This, nice place.”

 

She spoke very, very slowly, but the woman did not seem any closer to grasping the meaning of her Adûnaic words. Instead, she shook her head with violence, and let go of a torrent of gibberish in a high-pitched voice, which sometimes broke down as her chest shook with a sob. Fíriel sighed.

 

“I do not know what you are saying, but it’s not true, okay?” She tried to extend a hand to caress a strand of straw-yellow hair from the woman’s forehead, but she flinched abruptly. Damn. “Wait for me here, I will be right back.”

 

As she was about to cross the threshold of the room, she looked back for a moment, and saw the woman curling into a ball once more, her body shaken by shivers. A knot formed in her throat, which she could barely manage to swallow. No, she definitely could not hate this one. Of all the wives that the King had brought his son from the mainland, handpicked among the greatest beauties of Middle-Earth in an attempt to distract him from his unseemly attachment for Fíriel, this had proved so far the hardest to dislike. When her ship had arrived to Sor, the locals had gaped at her white, almost translucent skin, her large blue eyes and the yellow colour of her hair, and nicknamed her the Pearl of the North. She, however, had not derived any pride or pleasure from their admiration. She could not understand a single word of the language of Númenor, though soon it had become apparent that the people of the Island frightened her, and the sight of Gimilzagar was enough to work her into a panic. It was him who had insisted that Fíriel tried to communicate with her and calm her down before she could hurt herself, though Fíriel had doubts that she was the appropriate person for this endeavour.

 

“She cannot understand a word. A single word, Gimilzagar. Whenever I say nice things, she behaves as if I was telling her that I am going to torture her with a knife and throw her remains into the fire.”

 

“As far as I know, that is what happened to her family”, Gimilzagar remarked, with a thoughtful frown. Fíriel stared at him for a moment, then began shaking her head. “Well, at least she does not hide under the bed or point a knife at you when you are there, which is a start. Though perhaps the latter circumstance can be explained because they had all sharp objects removed from the room before she came in.”

 

Sometimes, Fíriel would bemoan her own fate, even though she had Gimilzagar’s love, his mother’s protection, and the ability to communicate with her fellow Númenóreans. But then, something like this would happen, making it significantly harder to feel sorry for herself.

 

“You could enter her mind and make yourself understood, even if none of you speaks the other’s language. She is very scared of you, but once that she sees you mean well…”

 

“She does not want me inside her head.”

 

“So what?” Fíriel stood right in front of where the Prince of the West was sitting, her hands resting on her hips. “I never wanted you to be in my head, either, but that hasn’t stopped you.”

 

“This is very different, Fíriel” he hissed, as if frustrated that she could not see his point. “She really does not want me inside her head.” She raised an eyebrow. “If I force myself in, it would have devastating consequences. She might even die.”

 

“Oh.” Fíriel’s anger evaporated as fast as it had come, leaving nothing but a renewed disgust in its wake. “But still, there has to be something we can do for her.”

 

“You are truly sorry for her.” It was not a question, and for the first time, Gimilzagar smiled. “You are a kind-hearted person, Fíriel.”

 

Her cheeks flushed scarlet.

 

“I am sorry for myself. If she dies, you know as well as I do that they will blame it on me. I am the evil, rival-murdering concubine, remember?”

 

“So what if they do? Everybody will be afraid of annoying you and becoming the next victim. Just imagine the Lady Valeria’s reaction! What can there be more chilling than a dead body, and no incriminating evidence except whispers?” Gimilzagar had developed a dark sense of humour through the years, which she had learned to understand as a sign that he wanted to survive, just like a soldier would carry a shield to protect himself from enemy darts. Now, however, she was feeling bothered, and she could hide it no longer.

 

“All right, you win! Yes, I am sorry for her. So stop talking about her death as if it was a likely possibility, will you? We will get through to her. Damn it, Gimilzagar, isn’t there anyone in Númenor who speaks a word of her language?”

 

“Well, technically the general who led this campaign retired after his victory, so he is in the Island now. And I say ‘technically’ because though I do not know him, I know the type, and I do not find it very likely that he took the trouble to learn their language before conquering them. And even if he does know a word or two, I bet that “I will not hurt you” is not among them.”

 

“But someone near him must have known something. The King has interpreters, doesn’t he?”

 

“Yes, but those would have stay…. wait.” Gimilzagar’s eyes widened, and there was a spark of hope in them. “Some generals who are sent to relatively unknown territories do not trust official interpreters, because there is no one among them who understands the language. Instead, they rely on natives who have learned the Adûnaic tongue, usually from Númenórean territories close by who have some kind of language kinship with them.”

 

“But would they have taken them back to Númenor?”

 

“If they were free, probably not, but most of them are slaves.”

 

“So that… general who is here in Númenor might have someone in his household who understands this woman?”

 

“Yes. Yes, he might have.”

 

“That is great!” she cried. “You must find him, then! Do you know where he lives?”

 

Gimilzagar’s brow furrowed in thought, and he gazed distractedly at the door of the Northern Pearl’s chamber.

 

“He has lands in the Andustar. In the South.” Fíriel’s smile died, and though the Prince kept talking, she knew that he had picked up her feelings immediately. “They used to belong to the Cave, and before that there was a long history of disputes between the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay and the Lord of Andúnië.”

 

“Oh. And how did he come by them?” she asked. For a moment, she could not recognize her own voice, as if it had come from someone else’s lips. “In a similar manner to how he came by the lands where your esteemed new wife used to live?”

 

“The King gifted them to him, after the High Priest had already driven you away.” Gimilzagar sought her glance apologetically. “It was not his fault –at least not this.”

 

“I see.” Despite her words, Fíriel had not seen anything, and barely even registered what Gimilzagar had just said. Instead, she was diving through the deepest recesses of her mind, trying to find the crying girl who had hugged her grandmother as the burned fields of her home receded in the distance for ever. It was strange, how she could barely remember that fateful day anymore. She supposed that the things which happened afterwards had obscured the memory of that loss, and everybody who had been with her that day was either dead or lost to her now. All that remained now were bits and pieces, like the warmth of Amal’s body, the smell of charred vegetation, or the shape of the clouds that covered the sky that morning, though she was not even certain that she had not imagined it. This disturbed her more than she expected.

 

“For a long time now, the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay has been complaining because the King does not visit his sanctuary. He feels that the power of the Goddess and her earthly servants has dwindled considerably in later times, as the worship of Melkor is all the King cares about” Gimilzagar droned on, though Fíriel did not know why he was speaking of this, or cared to find out. “I could pay them the long-awaited official visit, and take my bride to see the marvels of the Western shores. Once there, we will find the interpreter, and see if the general can be persuaded to part with him as a wedding gift. And since the woman cannot stand to be in the same room with me, I will arrange for you to accompany us so you can keep an eye on her in my stead, and see your old home again. What do you say to this?”

 

At long last, the purpose of his speech became apparent to her – and she did not like it one bit.

 

“What makes you think that I want to do that?” she hissed. “No, Gimilzagar. There is nothing left for me in the West. The places where I spent my childhood will belong to others now, and all the people I used to know back then left with us!”

 

“I can sense a wound in you. It could use some healing.”

 

“Stop reading me!”

 

“I am not even trying!”

 

“Then why don’t you go inside that room and do the same to this woman, so all three of us can stay in Armenelos?”

 

Gimilzagar sighed.

 

“That is not how it works, Fíriel. I know very well what she is feeling. She is terrified. Her people was conquered, her family was killed, and she was taken across the world as an offering to a demon. Wherever she looks, she sees the faces of her enemies, and she thinks that I am going to suck her life away.” He shrugged bitterly. “I do not have to invade her to see this, but I cannot communicate with her. And I have the distinct feeling that if we do not go West, and get her as far as possible from this dreadful place, she will not last much longer. But if we do, we could save her, and then her name would go down in the right list, which does not happen very often. If you do not want to go to the Andustar for yourself, do it for this. Please.

 

Fíriel hesitated. This whole obsession with lists had started six years ago, when Gimilzagar happened to be in Sor at the time a man had been accused of conspiracy. Before that, he had always tried to lie low and remain inconspicuous, afraid of the reputation that preceded his unnatural powers, not to mention his father’s reaction, but that day he had been able to read the man’s thoughts loudly and clearly, and knew that he was innocent. Unable to remain silent, he had revealed to the Governor what he had seen, and, to his own surprise, the man was immediately released with an official apology. That day, Gimilzagar was struck by the momentous realization that he had saved someone who would otherwise have died, without repercussions for anyone. As soon as she learned about it, Fíriel had suggested that he put him in a list, and this had gradually evolved into the belief that the more names he put in that list, the closer he would get to cancel the other list, the one with the names of those who had died for his sake. If the first list ever got to be as long as the second, it would be the sign that he had the right to live. Privately, Fíriel did not think that Gimilzagar would ever save enough people to make up for those who had died, but it moved her to see him so intent on something.

 

“Very well, I will go with you” she conceded, acknowledging her defeat. “But do not think for a moment that you are doing me a favour, because you are not, Gimilzagar. I do not care what you have seen in my mind, the idea of going there does not bring me any joy. I will only be doing it for her, and for you.”

 

It seemed as if the Prince of the West was going to make a retort, but he thought better of it and closed his mouth. Only after a rather long silence, he opened it again.

 

“As a matter of fact, I feel very much the same about having to bed the High Priestess of the Cave.” When she did not react to this, he sobered. “I do see how it could be difficult to… go back there, Fíriel. But considering the circumstances, this journey might turn out better than you think.”

 

 “Considering the circumstances? Has your famed foresight perceived something in our immediate future? Or you just think I cannot possibly resist the charms of a journey to the seaside where you will bed a woman and be wedded to another, and I am neither of them?” He tried to reply to this, but she was faster. “Heavens, how I hate your father.”

 

“The King is only trying to ensure my happiness to the best of his ability, just as any loving father would”, he said, with a reproachful look at the door behind them. Perhaps one day he will even discover my type. I have you follow me everywhere just to see if he will pick up the clues and choose the next woman accordingly.

 

“You are wasting your time. He does not see me, because I am invisible.” That is why I can kill my rivals and make it look like an accident.

 

In the past, she had sometimes thought that there would be a special punishment from Heaven for those who tried to be funny in a world like this. But in a world that was its own punishment, there was very little left to be afraid of, except losing one’s mind.

 

“Well, then. Go back inside, and tell the good lady that we will depart as soon as I secure official permission. Or tell her bawdy jokes, it does not matter, for all the good it will do.” He sighed. “But do it with a kind face. It -breaks my heart to see her like this.”

 

Fíriel nodded, once more swallowing a knot from her throat. Damn it, again.

 

“I will do whatever I can to calm her down. I am as sorry for her as you are, Gimilzagar. Believe me, I am.”

 

“I know.” Gimilzagar kissed her brow. “You are such a good person.”

 

How about a decent person who happens to remember how the walls of this Palace used to close around her, leaving her trapped inside and with no way to escape? Or are all decent people already dead around here? she wondered, kissing him back and preparing to face what awaited her beyond the threshold.

 

As she went in, she froze in her tracks. The woman was lying on the bed just where Fíriel had left her, motionless, and suddenly she was not even aware of running to the bedside to check on the body, her heart beating swiftly against her chest. There were no traces of blood anywhere, all sharp objects had been removed from her vicinity, Gimilzagar had said. She did not carry poisons on her person, either, for they would have checked that a hundred times before she even set foot on the ship. She could not be…

 

The barbarian’s breasts heaved up and down in a rhythmic cadence. Just asleep. It must have been really obvious since the beginning, but Fíriel had been too upset to pay attention to the telltale signs. In any case, a great sense of relief washed upon her, and she felt herself breathing normally again.

 

With great care not to wake up, she picked up a blanket, and covered the lying body with it. The Prince of the West’s new wife stirred a little, but she did not wake up. She must have been deeply exhausted, to have surrendered her watchful guard like this. Who knew how long it had been since she last slept.

 

“Sleep well, Pearl of the North” Fíriel whispered, settling on the bed and curling next to her.

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

The docks were lively at this time of the day –not, perhaps, as much as those in Sor or Pelargir, or even Rómenna, but the hustle and bustle around the fishing boats and trading ships unloading their cargo was greater than anyone could have hoped to find in this remote corner of the world, only a few years prior. Isildur stood by, idly watching the interactions between buyers and sellers, and recognizing the faces of several people who had sailed with them from Pelargir only a fortnight ago. He could even see children, three of them, being herded by their mother towards the fish stalls. Until the previous year, Anárion had refused adamantly to take anyone but adults, claiming that the settlement was not safe enough yet, but he had been forced to surrender to the inevitable when he realized that those who had already settled were having children of their own. Lord Númendil said that the Elves marvelled at Men’s ability to procreate regardless of whether the world they brought their children into was safe or not, and considered it both their greatest strength and their peculiar brand of immortality. Personally, Isildur did not think that those lofty words were likely to be of help to either the parents or their offspring if an enemy tribe managed to breach their defences, but Anárion’s attempts to have everything under control were equally vain. Those people could not be easily scared, for many of their number already knew what it was to live under the risk of death. Between true barbarians and soldiers and minions of the Sceptre who behaved like barbarians, they must have thought there wasn’t that much of a difference.

 

At least now you can do something to protect them, Malik remarked. Isildur had indeed done his best to organize the defence of the settlement, overseeing the construction of the walls, establishing a permanent garrison composed by men from Andúnië and a handful of veterans and mercenaries from Arne, and getting them to train every settler who could bear arms so they could defend themselves. The alliance they had struck with the Forest People from the tribe of Agar had held through the years, and several other smaller tribes who had ties with them had followed suit, though both Isildur and Anárion were aware of how flimsy that protection was. Other barbarian tribes, traditional rivals of their allies or merely discontent at the new state of things, either because their enemies had grown too powerful or because their forests were being destroyed – the Númenóreans had sworn an oath not to fell a tree in Agarene territory, but the timber to build their settlement, their ships and their boats had to come from somewhere-, were agitating and attempting to find allies for their cause. There were also the rogue tribes, bands of warriors with no fixed abode who made a living of raiding and plundering their neighbours. Some of them were descended from the legendary brotherhoods who shook off the yoke of the Númenóreans in the Middle Havens over a century ago, and it was rumoured that fathers made their sons swear blood oaths never to take a Númenórean prisoner. So far, none of those potential enemies had grown strong enough to even attempt breaching the well-protected walls of a Númenórean town, but they had harassed their weaker allies, and even given Hazad himself trouble.

 

The last eight years had not been kind on the Master of Agar. From the age and number of his descendants, Anárion had calculated him to be already over sixty when he took the chieftainship, and seventy was already a very old age for a short lived barbarian. It had been long since he last led his men to war, and these days he did little but sit in his hut by the fireside, leaving the fighting to his sons. All of them had sworn their father’s oaths, but Isildur wondered what would happen if they proved to be less steadfast in their observation, and their enemies managed to organize themselves into a larger threat than they were now. Anticipating this, he had often pulled the men he brought from Arne off from their duties, and sent them to lend aid to the Agarenes, even leading them personally into battle whenever it was possible. This had not been a very popular measure among the settlers, who did not enjoy feeling less protected because their soldiers were gone to aid barbarians in their petty feuds. Fortunately, Anárion was as good as Elendil at convincing people of things, and he had made them see that they were not strong enough yet to stand on their own without alliances, and that their allies would betray them the moment they did not see a significant advantage in their mutual arrangement. To that effect, they had also made sure to bring gifts whenever they came from the Island, and offer them privileged deals to acquire all types of merchandise. If present-day Arne was proof of anything, it was that rich allies had less to complain about than poor ones.

 

Well, to be honest, the Arnians would be rich, malcontent schemers if Ar Pharazôn had not destroyed all the noble families that opposed him. Perhaps you need to bring less money and more soldiers here. Or to turn some more of your money into soldiers.

 

“There is only so much money we can spend on war purposes before the King starts wondering what is it exactly that we are doing in these distant shores. It is better to make our own soldiers by having the soldiers we already have train this people.”

 

And tell me, how many of those colonists would you trust to meet a horde of barbarians head on?

 

“You are too impatient. As Anárion says, these things take more years than we have yet spent here.”

 

A very Númenórean assessment. But here, life goes faster than it does in the Island, as you will soon find out.

 

“What? What do you mean, Malik?”

 

Look behind you. There, by those barley crates that someone has piled up so precariously. Do you recognize him?

 

Isildur automatically looked towards the spot the ghost was pointing at. There, he saw a figure standing perfectly still, as if oblivious to the comings and goings of the people around him. He appeared to be gazing in Isildur’s direction, though most of his face was covered by the hood of a cloak, one of the rich garments of Númenórean origin that the lord of Andúnie had gifted to his most powerful allies.

 

When the newcomer realized that Isildur had spotted him, his whole body seemed to tense. He even retreated one step, as if he was about to turn back and leave. But as the son of Elendil covered the distance between them, he remained in place.

 

Isildur swallowed, trying to extricate his confusion at this unexpected happening from the contradictory feelings that the young man’s presence evoked in his mind.

 

“Tal Elmar”, he greeted him. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

 

The half-barbarian shook his head, causing the hood to be pulled back a few inches, revealing his eyes. There was some sort of strong emotion buried within them, but Isildur could not identify its nature.

 

“You and I. In private place. Please.”

 

The Númenórean lord blinked.

 

“I suppose that can be arranged.”

 

 

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

 

 

Isildur brought Tal Elmar directly to his own quarters in the settlement’s “palace” – a larger house than the others, which had the hall reserved for council meetings annexed to it. As they entered the building, nobody looked at them twice, for it was usual to have barbarian envoys arrive at any hour of the day to discuss alliances, military campaigns or trade agreements.

 

“Well, here we are. In private, as you requested”, he said, closing the door behind them.

 

Tal Elmar took away the cloak, and hung it over a chair. He had not grown in height in the last years, which left him as somewhat shorter than the average Númenórean, but his features had grown sharper, and his body fuller. It would no longer be as easy to confuse him with an Elf as the day Isildur’s men found him roaming the forests in the vicinity of their encampment. And yet, he still looked nothing at all like his barbarian kin, no matter how much he let his hair grow, or the efforts he poured in moving and talking like them. Sometimes, when Isildur and Anárion had been invited to Hazad’s hut, he had seen the young man participate in their games, drinking bouts, and war rituals with an enthusiasm that rang false to both his and Malik’s perception. He is always trying to make up for something, Malik had observed, wistfully. Was I ever so obvious?

 

Now, however, Tal Elmar was not looking very boisterous. Even after Isildur had closed the door, he stood still, as if fascinated by the view of the sea from the window, and it was a long time until he finally spoke.

 

“Father is -dying. Perhaps dead now.”

 

His eyes widened.

 

“Hazad? But we have not heard…”

 

“Not yet. News soon here.”

 

It was not as if this took Isildur truly by surprise; the old man had to die sooner or later. But something in this situation was off, and it did not take him too long to pinpoint what it was.

 

“And what are you doing here, then? Shouldn’t you be at his deathbed?”

 

Tal Elmar did not answer, though his throat moved as he swallowed. Then, before Isildur could say anything else, he fell to his knees solemnly, and raised his face towards him. Looking at them from up close, Isildur could notice that his eyes were red and swollen, but they were also filled with a growing determination.

 

“I make oath. Father forces me. To leave Agar and go to Sea People, and ask for protection. So, as Master of Sea People, I ask you.”

 

“Protection?” Isildur could not believe his ears. “Protection from what?”

 

“My brothers”, Tal Elmar explained. “Eldest Brother ruler of Agar now. Other brothers side with him. and he not challenged. Too powerful. Father… wants me to be ruler and not Eldest Brother. But this impossible, so he tell me to go. I stay, I die.”

 

“Oh. I see.” Isildur’s mind was working furiously, pondering this new situation. Damn it, Malik had not been wrong when he said that things happened faster in these lands. Hazad had not only passed away just nine years after their alliance, he had also seen fit to leave them with a parting gift that might turn out to be a significant complication. He could only imagine what Anárion would say once he heard about this. “Did he also leave any instructions on what we were supposed to do if the new Master of Agar took issue with us sheltering his… enemy?”

 

Tal Elmar seemed to be steeling himself to speak again, as if the next words he had to utter were harder still than what he had already said.

 

“You once said, I go to Númenor with you. I go to Númenor, I no longer nobody’s enemy. They say I back with my own people, my own blood, no longer a warrior of Agar. Please take me to Númenor with you.”

 

Isn’t that great, Isildur? This is exactly what you wanted.

 

“Well, your father must have a very dim view of the rest of your family if he would rather have you taken to the evil island of dark sacrifices” he snorted, trying to hide how much this whole situation unsettled him. “Whenever I offered you the possibility in the past, you turned it down so fiercely that I must confess I was not expecting this development.”

 

Despite his current status as a supplicant, Tal Elmar’s eye shone now with the familiar spark of white-hot anger than Isildur had detected in all those previous occasions.

 

“What I want matters no more.”

 

He did not seem happy at all, prey to an intense shame and discomfort which seemed to radiate through his every move. It had taken a deathbed oath to get him to kneel there and say those words, and as he grew aware of this, Isildur’s heart could not help but go out to him. He sighed deeply.

 

“Very well. I will honour Hazad uBuldar’s last will.” At least until Anárion hears of this, Malik snorted. Because once he does, he might feel tempted to take a page out of the Forest People’s book and murder you. “This means that you can stand up now. I will find you a place to rest, though I would advise you not to leave it until this business is sorted out. Are you hungry?”

 

“I am not hungry. Or tired”, Tal Elmar replied, still angry, even as he struggled to his feet. “Back home, I stay awake three nights for Father’s funeral.” His face fell, as if he had just grown conscious of the gulf between where he was now and where he should have been. “I… stay awake here.”

 

If Isildur’s mother had been with them, she would have hugged the young man. Isildur, however, was no good at providing comfort to others, and there was no telling how the barbarian might react to any overt show of pity for his plight. Besides, the idea of touching him made him uncomfortable for some reason. So, in the end, he just shrugged, and motioned him to follow.

 

Slowly, and rather reluctantly, Tal Elmar uHazad started walking behind him.

The Forbidden Bay

Read The Forbidden Bay

It was early Spring by the time they were ready to depart, but the end of the winter did not bring pleasant weather for travelling. The day they set on their journey, a heavy drizzle was falling on the streets of Armenelos, making the pavement slippery under the hooves of the horses. If Gimilzagar had been sitting beside her on the cart, Fíriel would have remarked that even the skies seemed to agree that this journey had been a bad idea from the start. But he was somewhere ahead, and the person sitting by her side was a young woman with straw-coloured hair, who was too busy throwing vaguely uneasy looks at the receding buildings through an opening in the silk curtains. When a group of people suddenly began pointing in her direction with loud exclamations, she closed the opening and recoiled, as if she had been bitten by a spider.

Fíriel raised an eyebrow.

“You don’t seem to enjoy being famous.”

The Pearl of the North did not acknowledge her words –which was only to be expected, considering that she still did not speak a word of Adûnaic. Instead, she picked up a blanket that the servants had thrown over her lap, and shook it before Fíriel’s face.

“Thanks”, the Númenórean said in some surprise, taking it with her own hands. She had been shivering a little despite having a blanket for herself, but she hadn’t expected the barbarian, usually so absorbed by her own concerns, to notice this. The headway they had made was impressive, she had to admit, even if it had not yet extended to having a better understanding of what the other was saying. Such a positive change could be traced back to the day that the Pearl of the North had finally surrendered to her exhaustion and fell asleep, only to wake up hours later to find Fíriel by her side. After that, she seemed to have decided that there was at least one person in the Palace of Armenelos who did not mean her harm, and Fíriel had become her fixture whenever she was upset. Her voice and presence seemed to exert some sort of calming power over her, and though it was a little tiring to have to spend so much time in the barbarian woman’s chambers, at least this had one unexpected silver lining: the Pearl of the North had turned into the perfect captive audience for all the complaints and thoughts that Fíriel rarely had the chance to express aloud.

“It is not that he does not mean well” she confessed to her now, gesturing towards the general direction where she believed Gimilzagar to be. “He always means well, and you will realize that once you get to know him. He is very attentive to my needs, and that would be wonderful, if only he did not pay more attention to what he thinks he has seen in my mind than to what I am actually telling him. I wish you would tell me how you manage to keep him out! He almost had me convinced that he could not help it, that for him it was similar to breathing. Why does that not apply to you? Is it because you hate him so much?” The Pearl of the North yawned. “Because if that is the reason, I guess I will have to put up with it. I just cannot hate him, even though I used to drive myself insane trying. For my people, he is as much of an abomination as he is to yours, did you know that? And maybe they were not conquered and enslaved by the Númenórean Sceptre, but it has not been easy for them, either. They were driven away from their homes, persecuted and suspected without reason just because of their beliefs. I… well, let’s say I have lost family as well; my cousin, and also my father, though that is a secret. And none of it was his fault. He would never harm anyone knowingly, it is just the way he is. That is why his father will not trust him as far as he can throw him. He sees him as unworthy of being his successor, and rumours say that he wants to become immortal just to prevent the Prince from holding the Sceptre.” This momentous revelation was met with a look of solemn gravity in the light-blue eyes of her interlocutor, but the illusion that she could somehow understand her words died as soon as she pointed sharply at some spot behind Fíriel. “What is it, Pearl? This?” The woman nodded when she grabbed the water jar, and extended a pale hand to take it. Not for the first time, Fíriel wondered what her real name was.

“To be honest, I am not particularly upset at this indifference. Gimilzagar is better off without the King trying to make a butcher out of him. But oh, how I wish he would go all the way through with it! If he does not want him as his heir, I wonder why he cares so much for who he takes to his bed. He tries to hide it with indifference, but deep inside he hates me so much that he would have the Prince mate with an Orc rather than with me. And no offense, but finding him all those brides among the short-lived barbarians and putting them above me is just a way to humiliate the house of Andúnië. It has to be. I mean, how could he even think it could work? His son is in love, did he forget about the Queen when he was sent to the mainland and her father married her off to someone else?”

The Pearl of the North passed her the jar back and laid her head on the pillow. She was moving her legs in an odd way, as if she was trying to shake ants off them. After a while, Fíriel reached the conclusion that she was just stretching.

“The worst of all was that princess from Rhûn. The way she acted as if she owned the place! The moment she saw me, she knew she had to get rid of me, and though I tried to be nice and warn her that her manoeuvres could never hope to pass unnoticed to the Queen, she just thought I was trying to scare her because I was afraid to lose to her Imperial Greatness! Apparently, she tried to do it with poison, though I never was even in the vicinity of that drink. A lot of people still believe that the Queen made that up to get rid of her, and that I was also behind it somehow. If you could understand a word of what they say, those people would be warning you to stay away from me, but you must not believe them. That is just a load of bullshit. I did not want her to die, though I admit that I could have been sorrier for her fate. The Palace is not a very pleasant place, but it is less unpleasant without her.” She snorted bitterly. “Lady Khelened, on the other hand, is safe enough. You do not need to be afraid of her, as long as you stay out of her way. She came from a land East from Harad, wagging tongues claim that from a tribe of cannibal savages, but she still managed to learn the language and customs fast enough, and she never eats anything but regular food. Her looks are quite impressive –too impressive, if you ask me. They say that the Prince of the West does not enter her bed because he is afraid of her, and do you know what? It is not merely a rumour.” These words were whispered in the barbarian woman’s ear, though it was more of a stage whisper, since both of them were alone. “But she is perfectly fine with being ignored, and if you respect her boundaries she will not strangle you with her bare hands and eat your roasted head for dinner. Now, the Lady Valeria, that one does not take nearly half as well to being ignored. She is like her Late Imperial Greatness but without the guts. She comes from Arne, do you know Arne? It’s a barbarian kingdom close to Pelargir, who used to have a very proud and inbred royal dynasty, until it went extinct. Now, they just have a very proud and inbred nobility, and the Lady Valeria claims descent from both. She walks around the Palace with so much jewellery on her that she needs to be followed by a huge escort just in case she collapses from the weight. The Court ladies like her the best, for she enjoys grand displays, and spends her days organizing balls, poetry contests, moon-viewing parties and all those things they are so fond of. But she is too cowardly to move against me in the open, so she is trying to kill me with slights. Well, what can I say? I have been through worse.” A sudden thought occurred to her, and she frowned at her interlocutor. “You will not be like her once you manage to understand your position, will you? I am beginning to like you. Sometimes, I think– that we could be friends.”

The Pearl of the North yawned again, apparently satisfied with her current position, and closed her eyes. Fíriel fell silent, studying her countenance with a pensive frown until she was poked in the arm.

“Fine! I will keep talking. Just give me a moment to catch my breath!” Blue eyes slid open to give her an inquiring look, and she shook her head. “Did I tell you how I am also descended from a tribe of barbarian savages from Harad? It is supposed to be a secret, known only to Gimilzagar and the Queen, but I trust you. See, my father’s father was called Ashad, and when he was a boy, his father died leading a band of fierce warriors against the armies of Númenor…”

The Pearl of the North closed her eyes once more, and rolled over to the side.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

As this was an official visit from the heir to the throne of Númenor to the West of the Island, the first stop of their journey had to be the Forbidden Bay, so the Prince could discharge himself of his obligations towards the Goddess. Fíriel had never set foot in the ancient Eldanna before, though she had been born only a few miles North. As she saw it for the first time now, she could not help but feel riveted at the otherwordly beauty of the place. The weather had improved drastically on the day they arrived, and the Spring sun spread its vivifying rays over the golden branches of mallorn trees, which grew scattered among other, larger trees covered in vivid red flowers. The city, with its ancient white towers and stone houses, lay ensconced right in the middle of the Bay, with no harbour, no ships, nothing but a deserted plain of golden sand stretching ahead of it, which mortals were forbidden to tread. A well-paved road led to a nearby cliff, under whose shadow lay the Cave, the holiest sanctuary of the Queen of the Seas in the Island. Beyond, there was a large palatial complex, where the High Priest and Priestess lived with the rest of the clergy. It was in that building that the three of them and their retinue were given quarters to rest from the journey, spacious and boasting of a beautiful view of the Western sea.

While they were shown in, Fíriel’s brief enchantment was beginning to give way to less pleasant feelings. She could not forget that it was the denizens of the Cave, led by the current High Priest’s predecessor, who had once been responsible for her family and friends’ flight from their ancestral homes. That very same people who grovelled before them now, and expressed their wish to make their stay as pleasant as possible, had been much less pleasant in the past to the peasants who lived in her area. She tried to tell herself that the High Priest, at least, might be innocent of the crimes of his predecessor, but somehow that mental operation did not work as well as when she separated Gimilzagar’s personal responsibility from that of his father.

“Do not worry. They will just think you are upset because I have to bed the High Priestess”, Gimilzagar said to her, in one of their rare instants of privacy.

Fíriel could not care less for the High Priestess, beyond feeling vaguely intimidated by legends of her divinely-inspired sexual prowess. After all, it was not as if the King could take her to the Palace and turn her into one more entry of Gimilzagar’s collection of women. But if that gave Fíriel an excuse to sit in her rooms, read some book aloud to the Pearl –who was feeling more nervous than she had been in a long time since she saw her first priest-, and refuse to meet that gaggle of plundering hypocrites who fed on the weak, she would be the most foolish jealous lover in the history of Númenor.

“Mother says that the Lady Eluzîni used to be a great actress. Perhaps you have inherited her abilities.  And if so, why settle for such a minor role? You could give a scene, even punch a few of them when they tried to stop you!”

Fíriel snorted.

“If I were you, I would be worrying about my own plight, instead of giving clever ideas to others. They say that the High Priestess of Ashtarte-Uinen can make a man climax twelve times in an hour. I wonder if you will survive the experience. “Gimilzagar’s eyes widened, but she continued before he could interrupt her. “Now, let me go find the Pearl, or she may be the one going on a rampage and hitting priests. The last time I saw her, she did not look too far away from it.”

The Prince of the West sighed.

“I am sorry. If we find what we came looking for, you will only have to put up with her for a few days longer.”

Fíriel’s reaction to those words surprised her. Instead of shrugging, or rolling her eyes in a long-suffering expression as she might have done just a week ago, she found that she was bothered by them, and she needed a great deal of aplomb to keep the tension away from her countenance.

“It is no trouble at all” she said, in a tone that came off rather cutting. Gimilzagar stared at her, but thankfully he chose not to remark upon whatever it was that he had found in her mind. Instead, he embraced her, and tried to claim her lips in a goodbye kiss.

“Oh, stop. I do not want to kiss you right now” she said, pushing him away. “You will compare my kiss to those of the High Priestess, and find me wanting.”

Gimilzagar laughed.

“That woman is playing the role of a goddess, Fíriel. You are a goddess.”

“And flattery won’t get you anywhere”, she retorted, walking past him to look for the pale barbarian.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The ritual was scheduled to take place the following day at noon, and it seemed to Fíriel that the whole population of the West of the Island must have gathered at the Bay to watch it. The High Priest, overjoyed by what he perceived as the return of the sanctuary’s favour with the Sceptre, had declared an official holiday in all his territories. Even before dawn had broken, pilgrims were already crowding the road leading to the sanctuary, hoping for a glimpse of the Prince of the West, who had never set foot in this region of Númenor before. All the important people in the area had come or sent representation, and though she would not recognise his face, she was sure that the man who had conquered the Pearl’s people had to be there somewhere, together with the envoy sent by the military governor of Andúnië and Lord Iqbal of Hyarnustar’s son.

As the hour approached, and the crowd thickened, Fíriel was only too glad to let Gimilzagar make excuses for both the Pearl and her. They would stay in the barbarian woman’s chambers for the day, blissfully away from the priests and their ceremonies. As she sat there, pondering her own feelings towards the denizens of the Cave, she found herself wondering how her companion might react once she found herself face to face with the man directly responsible for her current plight. If meeting him was inevitable, at least Fíriel supposed she owed it to Gimilzagar and her to make sure it was not a public meeting, one that could get tongues wagging all across the Island.

“As I said, Pearl, this is looking less and less like a good idea” she sighed, listening to the multitude’s cheers and the priests’ monotonous chanting in the distance. “Do you really want to go to that man’s house and ask a favour from him? If I had to ask a favour from the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay, I can tell you I would rather die. And he is not even the same High Priest who attacked our village.”

The Pearl’s head was sticking from the window, and she was stretching her neck to try and catch a glimpse of what was going on. She looked uneasy, as if she could understand what Fíriel was saying, though probably the ruckus of the religious ceremony was more than enough to set a barbarian, ignorant of Númenórean traditions, on edge.

“Do not worry. Nobody is getting killed today, or thrown into a fire. Someone is going to be fucked, though -many times, if rumours are true. Your husband, if you truly want to know.” Fíriel blinked, listening to her own words, and wondering when exactly had all those things stopped sounding weird to her ears. They said that Elves had strange customs, but Men were much stranger, when left to their own devices. Her people had got that much right. “Do you want me to order something to eat? This is going to be a long day.”

An hour and a meal later, however, the Pearl had still not moved from the window.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

He did not return during the day, and neither did he appear after the shadows had already fallen over the waters of the ancient bay. There should have been some kind of celebration after the ritual, one which the High Priest would no doubt have turned into the most lavish party he was able to afford with the income of the ravaged lands he had been allowed to keep. Fíriel and the Pearl had been apparently excused from that as well, though Fíriel did not know which of the two’s inner demons had been used as pretext.

That night, however, while both lay in bed, she heard a familiar knock on the door, and then a quick, whispered exchange where she could distinguish Gimilzagar’s voice along with that of one of the ladies-in-waiting. Next to her, she could feel the Pearl’s body tense, and she knew that the barbarian was about to wake.

“Stay asleep” she muttered, squeezing her hand comfortingly as she left the bed and sought for a silk robe to wrap over her shoulders. “Do not worry, no one will come in here.”

Gimilzagar was waiting for her in the antechamber, his eyes looking darker than usual under the faint glow of an oil lamp. His cheeks were flushed, she was not sure if from the wine or from the residual glow of the lovemaking, though she immediately regretted thinking this.

“Definitely the wine”, he said. She blushed in embarrassment, but at the same time, some inner demon was pressuring her to ask.

“Was she as … good as they say?”

“She honoured the Goddess as it is her duty. And so did I” he replied, rather formally. So she had been that good. “Do we need to talk about this? I met the man we came to seek.”

“And? Can he help us?” she asked, a little more briskly than what was necessary.

“I would say so. There is a man in his household who does indeed know her language. And we are going to meet him as soon as I am finished with my business here, because he has offered us his hospitality on our way to the Governor’s headquarters in Andúnië.”

“Oh.” Fíriel tried to sound a little more enthusiastic, but she was unable to manage it. “I see. Well, that is good. Though – perhaps you should have told him to send the man to Andúnië instead. This way, we would not waste so much time.”

“Are you worried about the Pearl, or about yourself? I am aware that your feelings about your ancient home can be quite-  contradictory, if no less strong for it.” His breath smelled of wine indeed. She recoiled a little.

“I am capable of keeping my feelings to myself” she hissed. “She, on the other hand…. who knows how she will react if she finds herself in his house?”

“I can sense a slight complication with this man. He is- not happy, Fíriel. He was not given all the reward or recognition that he believes he deserved after his glorious conquests. Now, he thinks that the gods have presented him with a new chance to earn favour, and he will try to milk it for all it is worth. I made the mistake of letting him know how valuable I found this interpreter, and a royal visit is the least he will get out of him.”

“The King would just give him a choice between sending the man to Andúnië, or losing everything else”, Fíriel argued. Gimilzagar stared at her.

“I am not the King.” His tone was slightly upset. “And I do not mean just in temperament. I do not have the authority to threaten victorious generals.”

“You are right” she sighed, wondering what on Earth was making her react like this. “I am sorry. But being here, among those priests –I guess it has set me on edge. And it has made me feel for her, Gimilzagar. If this is upsetting for me, how much more upsetting will it be for her, to find herself face to face with her enemy?”

“I see.” He let go of a deep breath. “Well, what can I say? She is already upset, Fíriel, and by the Queen of the Seas, she is meant to be so! She was dealt an upsetting hand in life. If we have our way, we might look forward to a time, in the future, when she will be less upset. We can snub this man all we want, but that will not bring her loved ones back, or the land of her birth, or her former life. All we can give her back is her voice, and I wish as much as you that this could be enough.”

Fíriel swallowed. She was suddenly feeling sad, and angry at the same time, but she did not know very well why, or on behalf of whom. She felt like a child, and perhaps she was just as selfish, she thought, stealing the Pearl’s imagined grievances and making them look like her own. A voiceless Pearl was a white canvas, a mirror that reflected back every image that she projected on it. And if that was so, only a voice would restore her to her true self –whether it was a self that Fíriel could empathize with or not.

“That is a very wise observation”, he nodded, impressed. She tore her glance away from his, uncomfortably.

“I thought I had told you that flattery would get you nowhere.”

“Oh, I cannot get anywhere else today. I am spent”, he chuckled, accepting her change of subject. Then, almost immediately, he sobered again. “But let me lie next to you, Fíriel. Please.”

“She will not like that.” When she saw the hidden need in his eyes, however, it gave her pause. He had an expression that she knew well, one which reminded her of the way he had looked after each of his wedding nights, when he would seek her and hold her as if he had to make sure that she was still there –that she still existed. “Very well, let us lie together for a while. But I will have to wake up before dawn and go back to her. We are at an unfamiliar place full of priests, and that is something I am pretty sure she does not like any more than I do.”

“Do not worry.” He leaned on the couch, and she curled next to him. “I will wake you up.”

That night, as she closed her eyes, Fíriel dreamed of fields in flames, and of a frightened girl who hid behind a well while mounted priests dragged a straw-coloured woman away.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Are you out of your mind?” Anárion was not reacting too differently from what Isildur had expected. Which, at least, means that you finally know him well enough, Malik remarked, but Isildur was not in the mood to see things under a positive light. “This could cost us the loyalty of Agar, and they are the most powerful among our supporters!”

“Could it?” Isildur asked. “Is there anything in the oaths they have sworn which says they are entitled to break the alliance if we do not let them kill their brother?”

“That is because it is generally understood that we are not supposed to meddle in the internal affairs of one another!”

“And we are not meddling in them! We are not opposing Haldad’s chieftainship, we are not making Tal Elmar Master of Agar! We are merely taking him with us, in our ship, to our country. And we are doing this because Hazad uBuldar, the Master of Agar until this very moment, expressed it as his last will on his deathbed!”

Anárion sighed and looked up, as if asking the heavens for patience to argue with such an ignorant halfwit.

“Were there witnesses of that, ready to pit their testimony against that of Haldad and his brothers? Because, otherwise, he might have said that he wanted me to succeed him, for all that his words will be worth. Look, Isildur.” He leaned forward, and held his glance. “Númenóreans have a long history of raising puppet rulers in the Island only to impose them on their people later, and the peoples of Middle Earth have a long history of resenting and warding themselves against this kind of interference.”

“And you think that these savages have heard of Harad. Or Arne. Or Rhûn. Not to mention that Tal Elmar is already more than raised. Raise him again, and by the time we are done he may be the age of Hazad!” Isildur stood from his seat, breaking their eye contact, and began pacing again. “Your arguments are flimsy, Anárion, and I can see behind them. The real reason why you are opposing this is that it does not factor in your sacrosanct plans, and like with the children, you hate not being in control of everything that happens around you. But I have news for you, even the cleverest and wisest of men cannot control everything! It is not so in Númenor, and even less in Middle Earth. In a hostile land, the situation can change so fast that the only thing you can do is think quickly, and try to adapt to it!”

“To think quickly to adapt to the movements of our enemies is one thing. But to have to think quickly to adapt to your actions

“I am also under no obligation whatsoever to listen to you. If I have done it so far, it is only because I found your advice worthwhile in the past.”

“It is worthwhile now, too!”

“No, this time it is not! You would have us sacrifice our honour in exchange for your particular notion of safety!”

“Yes, but it is not your safety, or mine! I am considering the safety of the men, the women and the children who dwell here, who came to this settlement to start new lives, free from oppression and the fear of death!” It was not often that Anárion allowed anyone to see him so angry. “If there is the slightest chance that it may be jeopardized, I cannot be expected to care for how many barbarians kill each other in their own feuds! You, on the other hand, are led by the nose by your whims and impulses, without stopping to think of the consequences. You want to help Tal Elmar because of who he is, not because of Hazad’s last will, a sense of justice, or the promises that you claim you made. Because he reminds you of Malik, and the Númenórean settlers do not!”

Are you going to let him speak like this to you? Malik inquired, raising an eyebrow. Isildur ignored the taunt, and concentrated on keeping his composure. The key was to imagine that he was on a battlefield, facing the enemy, for mere arguments behind closed doors could undo him far more easily than standing before an experienced killer who would slit his throat if he made the wrong move.

“You pride yourself of being a good diplomat” he said at last, his voice as calm as if he was sitting on the bathhouse in Rómenna. “Prove it. Speak with Haldad and make him see our point, and if he is not wholly convinced, give him anything he wants and promise him even better things to come. Make him see that we have no intention of forsaking our alliance with his people, but also that we will not cave in to pressure, once that our honour has been engaged.” Anárion seemed about to open his mouth to protest, but Isildur had already heard enough. “Do that, and once that you have ensured the continued safety of our settlement, I will listen to you again, and do as you say. Until then, I will assume we are at war, and claim sole authority over the Númenóreans of the North.”

Well done, Isildur, Malik snorted. The late General Barekbal would be so proud of you.

For the rest of the day, Isildur busied himself evaluating their defences, doubling the vigilance shifts, and putting all his troops in a state of alert. If now and then he felt something like a pang of guilt intruding upon his determination, he covered it with lofty thoughts of Númenórean honour, helping the innocent, and fulfilling last wishes of old men who lay dying. Tal Elmar was still in the middle of his improvised vigil, so he did not disturb him even when he had a moment to spare. Or perhaps this was merely an excuse that he made for himself, while the truth was that he did not wish to risk looking into the young man’s eyes and realizing that Anárion had been right about his motives.

His brother had departed for Agar shortly after their argument, to represent the Númenóreans in the funeral of the old chief. He had chosen to take only a small escort with him, though Isildur did not think he would ever be as petty as to willingly risk his own life just to get back at him. As he had already made very clear in the conversation, of the two of them, the only one who allowed himself to be led by petty whims was Isildur. Whatever Anárion chose to do was always calculated as meticulously as a goldsmith would measure the quantity of gold to be used in each of a lady’s earrings, and he never had anything but high purposes in mind.

Still, when he did not return for the night, Isildur had to admit he had grown a little worried. And, when his brother finally crossed the gates of the settlement late on the next morning, without any visible signs of the hangover that could be clearly detected in the red eyes and pale countenances of the barbarians who rode with his party, the elder son of Elendil needed to work hard to hide his relief.

“Well met, brother. Er… honoured guests.”

Two of Anárion’s companions were immediately recognizable as sons of Hazad. They were speaking to him in their own gibberish, and though Isildur did not understand more than a word or two, the conversation looked fairly peaceful. As he was still trying to determine the extent to which it was so, Anárion dismounted, and gave instructions to the captain of his escort to show their guests to their palace, where they would be meeting them in a short while.

“So?” Isildur asked, once they had left.

“So, we have guests now. You may want to dress better to entertain them.”

“That is not what I meant”, he growled. “Did Haldad listen to you?”

“Considering that I would be a hostage in Agar if he had not, or perhaps worse, you may deduce that he did.”

Looks very much like pettiness to me, Malik remarked. Isildur shook this off as he would a twig in his hair.

“You did not have to throw yourself at his mercy. You could have taken more armed men with you, but you chose not to do it.”

“When trying to convince someone of your good intentions, coming in with an army to a funeral is not likely to help, Isildur”, Anárion snorted. “Fortunately, Haldad uHazad saw my point that Tal Elmar will be much less of a threat if he is taken to a place from which he can never return, and made to look like a blood traitor into the bargain. One of my men may also have let slip to his brothers that back in Númenor, barbarians tend to end up sacrificed - though of course we would never allow that to happen.”

Isildur nodded.

“Anything else?”

“It also turned out that he wants to borrow our military strength for a little campaigning of his own. And he needs a sizeable quantity of Númenórean shiny objects to pay his allies and his supporters inside his own tribe. That is why he has sent our current guests, so they can help themselves.”

“And you agreed to everything.” It was not a question, and Anárion did not take it as such.

“Just as you ordered, Isildur.”

The elder son of Elendil opened his mouth to reply, then closed it when he realized that he did not know what he was going to say. In the end, he shrugged.

“Well, then. I assume you were taking the safety of the settlement in consideration when you bargained with him, since you are a level-headed man who does not let himself be influenced by words spoken in the heat of the moment. That is why I have full trust in you, and why I sent you there.”

Can’t you just say that you are sorry? Malik wondered.

“I might remind you that I was left to bargain under rather restrictive conditions, Isildur. Still, I am honoured by your trust.” His voice was cold now; there was no trace of false politeness there anymore. “As you have surmised, I do not think this will be the end of our settlement, though you may have to go back to Pelargir and hire more soldiers, to make sure we will not be left defenceless. The King is busy with his new shipyards, and rumours say that he no longer reads reports from the mainland with the same attention as before, so as long as we act discreetly, we will probably be safe.”

“I see.” Damn him if he could find anything cleverer to say at the moment. “Well, one thing at a time. Now, we will meet with Haldad’s envoys to hear their requirements, and once they are gone, we will count our resources and decide what is needed, and how much of it would be safe to get.”

Anárion nodded gravely.

“Agreed.”

 

Home

Read Home

Their departure had been scheduled to take place early in the morning, so they would reach Retired General Minulzîr’s house before the night fell. When they were getting ready to go, however, the High Priest came to Gimilzagar’s rooms looking rather flustered, and begged him to wait for a little longer. As it turned out, the High Priestess was gone from the compound, and she absolutely had to be present in his official farewell. She and her women were on a pilgrimage to a sacred fountain located somewhere upriver, whose exact location could not be known by men. It was a ritual she would follow every time she officiated at the Cave, and it involved bathing and praying until the Goddess magically restored her virginity.

Gimilzagar had come this far to give the sanctuary of the Cave its due, for the first time since the King and the Queen had joined their bodies in the darkness of the Cave before he was born, so he accepted the delay with good grace. Wistfully, he thought that he might like to bathe in the fountain, too, if that would make him forget the powerful strangeness of his experience in that secluded place. To him, the Lady of the Seas had always been a mother –his mother, whose inhumanly perfect features gazed at him from every statue in the Island. Before his father took the Sceptre, his ancestors had crawled through the steps of the Cave seeking the favour of the Goddess, but Ar Pharazôn the Golden had taken her to his Palace of Armenelos to rule by his side. So the whispers of the superstitious went, at any rate, which Gimilzagar had not paid much heed to until he found himself kneeling before the statue, and her voice had whispered to him in the darkness. And then, he had felt the need to penetrate the mind to its last recesses just to make sure that she was a mere woman, a servant of the Temple, born in a village North of the Hyarnustar and elevated to her current position through divine favour and the secret lust of an old man who was long buried in his grave.

During the wait, Fíriel and the woman known as the Pearl of the North went together on a walk through the High Priest’s gardens. Fíriel had been rather tense since they arrived to this place, and this had helped to bring her closer to the barbarian. Gimilzagar hoped that their budding friendship would survive the moment of truth when the Pearl would be able to speak her mind and ask her own questions. He knew that Fíriel was beset by the same concern, and that every day that passed it was beginning to matter more and more. The future of this specific development was unknown to him, despite his powers, though a vision he had before he decided to embark them all on this journey showed Fíriel standing on a hill, her hair flapping in the sea breeze, and smiling. It was a short vision, like a flash of lightning, and it remained impervious to his attempts to decipher it, but it was vivid and powerful, and he knew that she would find some cause to be happy before the end.

Finally, as the sun was nearing the zenith of the sky, the High Priestess returned from her excursion at the head of a procession of white-clad women. She stood regally by the High Priest, and gazed at the Prince of the West in polite interest before she bowed to him, as if they had only just met. And perhaps they had, Gimilzagar thought. Under broad daylight, her features did not resemble either the Queen or the Goddess at all, and there was something too humanly voluptuous in the curve of her smile and the soft balance of her hips, which was enough to anchor any wild imaginations conceived in the darkness of the sanctuary.

“I wish you a pleasant journey and fair weather, my lord prince” the High Priest’s voice interrupted his musings. He believed Gimilzagar’s befuddlement to be an effect of the sacred spring’s power, which had turned she who bathed in it into a different woman from the one he had lain with on the previous night. The Prince was too uncertain of the intricacies of what had taken place, and of his reactions to it, to disabuse him of that notion, so he simply stayed silent and went on his way.

The retired general was to be their companion and guide for the journey ahead. Old as he was, he took great pride in being able to ride as well as he did when he was a young soldier, and even if he would have preferred more comfortable means of transport himself, Gimilzagar humoured him by riding by his side. After a while, he was almost regretting his decision, for the man turned out to be especially talkative. He spent the first stretch of the way complaining about the High Priest’s airs, and how he was so full of himself and so vindictive for what he perceived as the Sceptre’s slights that he had arranged the whole incident with the High Priestess so the Prince of the West would be delayed and inconvenienced. Then, it was the turn of the Governor of Andúnië, a mediocre man who had got his current posting through abject flattery and knew no more about governing a large territory than he did of oil painting, though he pretended to be an expert in both. Even back in the mainland, his mismanagement of his troops had already been notorious, but somehow he had a knack for finding those who would change their reports to accommodate him.

By the time the sun began to decline visibly, Gimilzagar already had a clear idea of what drove that man: envy for those who had been more fortunate than him. With this knowledge in mind, he opted for measuring his words carefully, letting Minulzîr take him for an infatuated young man whose only care in the world was to please his bride, and whose friendship could be easily cultivated as long as he was given what he wanted.

It was already late in the night when they arrived to the retired general’s impressive villa by the seaside. At this hour, there was little point in trying to accomplish anything, except allowing themselves to be ushered into the lavish sleeping quarters reserved for guests of honour. There, a legion of slaves stood by, waiting to undress them, bathe them, and prepare their beds. Gimilzagar was already looking forward to getting some sleep -  but, just as he was getting ready for it, disaster struck.

The first sign that something was amiss was the sound of shouting, coming from a nearby room. Then, as he emerged from his chambers in confusion, he saw people running through the corridors. A woman he stopped and interrogated confirmed his fears: the Pearl had run away, and the servants of the house had just gone outside to chase after her. He looked for Fíriel in dismay, but she was nowhere to be seen.

“Difficult bride, huh?” Minulzîr asked, in a half-sympathetic, half-amused tone. Gimilzagar’s peaceful disposition had always been a disappointment to his father; now, he could not help but think that even the King might be impressed to know the things he briefly fantasized with doing to this man. “If nothing else, those barbarians had spirit. That was why most were deemed too savage to be of use, at least for us simple mortals, and we let the Great God have them. But I do have to admit that some of their women were good looking, and this one was fair enough to catch the eye of the King himself. Back then, I warned him that the most beautiful horse is useless if it proves too hard to tame. Do you know what his answer was, my lord prince? He said that he had full confidence in your horse-taming abilities.”

“She saw you, did she not?” Gimilzagar asked, ignoring the man’s words. The retired general blinked, surprised.

“I… well, yes, I suppose she did.” His eyes narrowed defensively. “I am your host, and I have an obligation to make sure that your needs are being met! I went to check on the Lady Fíriel to inquire after your er, preferred sleeping arrangements, it must have been then that she saw me. But I do not believe…”

“I would prefer that she did not see you again” the Prince of the West cut him, his voice colder than it had ever been. “Not until I have been able to talk to her, and then only if she wants to. Is that clear?”

The man looked outraged, and ready to argue, but he must have seen something in Gimilzagar’s eyes that dissuaded him from complaining. Instead, he gave him a curt bow.

“As you wish, my lord prince. I will call upon your quarters tomorrow with the man you are seeking.”

“Thank you”, Gimilzagar nodded.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel was looking rather windswept when Gimilzagar found her. Her dishevelled hair was full of twigs, her dress sported large mud stains, and she seemed quite angry.

“She is back in our rooms now. What is that interpreter waiting for?”

“He will be brought to me tomorrow morning”, Gimilzagar explained. “It is too late already, it would be better if we were…”

“I have no time for your explanations” she interrupted him crossly. “Unless you want her to bolt off again, I have to go back to her. I will only say this to you, Gimilzagar: if that wretched man comes into our rooms again, I will revert to the ferocity of my barbarian ancestors and slit his throat myself. Am I making myself clear?”

“He will not, I promise”, the Prince assured her. “We already spoke about this.”

“Good”, she hissed, as if it was an expletive rather than an expression of approval. He sought for her eyes, and found them just a moment before she turned away.

“Thank you, Fíriel.”

The young woman mumbled something as she departed, but Gimilzagar was unable to catch the words.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The next morning, just as he had promised, General Minulzîr called on the Prince’s quarters as soon as he heard that Gimilzagar was awake and ready. He was smiling, as if enormously pleased with himself, and the residual resentment from the previous night seemed to be gone. Trailing his steps was a rather short man, stout and straw-haired like the Pearl, who knelt on the floor and bowed very low the moment they came into his presence.

“Is this the man?”

Minulzîr nodded.

“In that case, he would do better to rise and look at me. I wish to make myself understood to him.”

“Do as the Prince says” the old man ordered. Slowly, the interpreter struggled to his feet, though he still kept his gaze religiously fixed on the floor. “And look at him! Are you doing it on purpose, to give the Prince the impression that you do not understand the language of Númenor?”

That was not the man’s intention; from what Gimilzagar could perceive in his rather disorderly thoughts, he was suffering from an almost paralyzing terror of making a mistake. He sighed inwardly. If he wanted to get to the Pearl, now he would have to get to this man first. All those barriers, he thought, separating them from their fellow Men until war and conquest seemed like the only remaining solution.

“I have heard many good things about your skills, and I need you to render me an important service” he said, in a kind voice. “What is your name?”

“We call him Hazin”, Minulzîr answered for him. “He also has a barbarian name, but I do not think we would be able to pronounce it.”

Gimilzagar gave him a look that made the smile die on his lips, and his overbearing mood faltered.

“I see.” Quickly, he racked his brain, searching for other options to establish a rapport with that man. Perhaps sincerity was the best strategy, after all, he thought. “I have a problem, Hazin. I need to communicate with a woman from your people. She does not speak our language, so she believes herself to be in danger. Well, I suppose you must have heard the ruckus last night, so you already know” he added, with a rueful look. “Would you help me to convince her that this is not true, and put her mind at ease?”

“I am at your service for anything you may require of me”, Hazin declared, bowing low once again. It was the first words that he spoke, and his Adûnaic seemed good, touched only by the slightest hint of an accent.

“Excellent! Follow me, then. Expect us for the noon meal, General”, he added, before Minulzîr could make an attempt to follow them, too.

As they walked through the gallery that separated Gimilzagar’s quarters from those occupied by the women, Hazin remained as silent as a statue. The Prince of the West could feel some more of his agitated thoughts, rapidly shifting between fear at the possibility of failure, and the small, yet oddly persistent hope of his fate changing for the better somehow.

“If you can speak to this woman, I will have further need for your services” Gimilzagar remarked, picking up on this. “I would need you in the Palace of Armenelos, so I can continue to speak to my wife. And you could also teach her the language of Númenor. Do you think you could do that for me?”

At those words, both things grew stronger at the same time: the fear of failure, and the hope. The Prince, however, decided against pressing him any further, as proving that he was aware of his thoughts might scare the man even more than he already was.

While they were announced to the women, Gimilzagar paused in his tracks, and took a moment to steel himself for the confrontation that awaited him beyond that threshold. Until now, he had been fleeing the Pearl and shamelessly hiding behind Fíriel, though the barbarian woman was his responsibility and not hers. Her terror had cut him too deep, left too little space for him to react in any other way. Since the very first time they had met, moreover, it appeared evident that there was more to her rejection of him than there was to her rejection of other Númenóreans, with the possible exception of their current host. This had led him to guess that the dark legends about him must have reached her ears at some point, and that she was afraid of horrors that went beyond mere death. Under those circumstances, subjecting her to his presence would have been nothing but pointless cruelty, which would do neither of them any good. It was better to leave Fíriel to it: she was as sympathetic for the woman’s plight as he was, and would do a much better job of looking after her.

Still, none of those considerations had entirely erased Gimilzagar’s bad conscience, or his knowledge that, sooner or later, he would have to face her himself. That was how his father had wanted it, and like most things his father wanted, it would happen.

“Good morning, Pearl”, he said with a tight smile, bracing himself for the inevitable onslaught. “I have a surprise for you.”

Just as he had expected, the barbarian woman’s eyes widened, and she immediately ran to hide behind Fíriel, who was looking rather apprehensive. Gimilzagar had been intending to ask her to leave, but now he realized how inadvisable this would be.

“Translate everything I say” he told Hazin, who was looking at the scene with an apparent blank expression that hid a growing bewilderment. “And translate everything she says to me, as well. I am Gimilzagar, the Prince of Númenor. My father had you brought to the Island to be my wife against your will, and for this I am deeply sorry. I have no intention of harming you, nor of letting others do so. You are safe.” Hazin was quick on the uptake: from the way he wove his own discourse, only seconds away from his own words, Gimilzagar could see that the man must have had a lengthy experience as a translator on the mainland.

After he fell silent, the Pearl stood completely still. Her eyes were wide open, and she stared at the man who had suddenly come into the room speaking her language as if he had just fallen from the sky as an emissary from one of her strange deities. Belatedly, the Prince realized that this shock might not have allowed her to register the meaning of his words.

“Repeat it once more”, he ordered Hazin. The interpreter did not even need to be reminded of the message: he also seemed to have an excellent memory. For all his disparaging remarks about their savagery, that old bastard had chosen his servants well.

The second time she heard it, the Pearl looked little less flabbergasted than the first. Only when the man was finished, she seemed to emerge from her stupor, and she began shaking her head, letting go of a torrent of words in a high-pitched voice. Hazin gazed at the floor, saying nothing.

“Translate” Gimilzagar said, believing at first that the man had somehow forgotten what he was here to do.  When he perceived his turmoil, however, he grew aware of the truth. “Do not fear, Hazin. Tell me what she is saying, word by word, and I promise I will not hold you accountable for it.”

Those words brought relief, though there was still apprehension in his countenance as he opened his mouth to speak.

“She… thinks that you are trying to make her… lower her guard. Then, once that she is in your…” A blush spread across his rather pale cheeks. “In your bed, you will suck her spirit away, a-and leave an empty husk behind.”

Check, he thought, looking at Fíriel and exchanging a wry look with her. Unfortunately, the Pearl saw this exchange, and walked away from Fíriel to search for a new safe place at the other side of the large bed. So much for that.

“Wait, Pearl… or whatever your name is!”, Fíriel called after her. “I have kept you safe for all this time, you can trust me! I have guarded your sleep, and nobody has taken your spirit on my watch.” Hazin looked at Gimilzagar in renewed confusion, and the Prince realized that he had to issue new instructions on how to deal with this.

“Translate the Lady Fíriel’s words as well”, he ordered. The interpreter obeyed with a bow. He and the Pearl seemed to have a brief yet intense exchange.

“She is Rinitisipamushi, daughter of Molmak the Grey Wolf” he finally said, turning towards Gimilzagar again. “She says that she is not afraid of death, but she is very afraid of losing her spirit. That you are a- a demon, not a man. I am deeply sorry, those were the Lady Rini’s words, not mine.”

Gimilzagar shrugged the apology away.

“I swear I will never enter her bed or steal her spirit. Ask her what do I need to do for her to believe me.”

If Hazin was surprised at this, he did not give evidence of it. He told this to the Pearl –Rini-whatever the rest was-,  who said something terse in response.

“She says she will only believe that you do not want her spirit if you let her kill herself.”

The Prince sighed.

“Ask her for an answer that does not involve anyone dying.”

There was no need for a translator to understand her response: she shook her head vehemently. Pulling her composure together again after the barbarian’s rejection, Fíriel started walking towards the bed. Rini bared her teeth at her, but her hands were trembling.

“Your people have it wrong. The Prince is good. It is his father who is at fault for all this.” Gimilzagar shrugged at Hazin, who translated this very hesitantly, almost as if he expected a bolt of lightning to strike him as soon as the words crossed his lips. “He did not want your people to die, or you to suffer. And neither do I! When you were taken to us, we were so sorry for you that we travelled all the way here only to find someone who could speak your language. Now, do you really think we would have needed to do that if we just wanted to steal your spirit?”

“I can show you the truth of my intentions, if you would let me” Gimilzagar intervened, taking advantage of the brief lowering of the woman’s guard. “I have the ability to reveal my spirit to you, so you can see it for yourself and realize there is no evil intent in it. Please, let me show it to you. It will only be a moment, and you can stay over there, for we do not even need to be close.”

“She does not trust this. She says that you want to trick her. That she will never let you touch her spirit in any way.”

“But it is my spirit what…” His voice trailed away, and he needed a great effort not to surrender to frustration. How could he explain this to her so she would trust him? He needed much more than a mere interpreter for this, no matter how proficient. For a moment, the temptation to just ignore her superstitious terror and do it was almost overpowering – after all, it was not as if she could do anything to prevent it. It might be painful at first, but once she saw it, it would make everything better.

“No! Wait!” Fíriel had perceived his intentions, and she did not seem to appreciate them in the slightest, though back in Armenelos she had been the one urging him to penetrate her mind. “Let me try to convince her, Gimilzagar. I am sure that I can! Please.

The Prince of the West pondered this. As he did so, a feeling of dismay took hold of him, and he hissed a curse between his teeth. No, no, no, not again. He had been letting Fíriel carry this burden by herself for all these days, and now they had made it this far, how could he just surrender again and leave all the unpleasant business to her? How could he live with himself?

“Fíriel…” he began, but just then a knock reached his ears, momentarily distracting him from his purpose. “Who is it? This is a private conversation!”

The door slid open an inch, and he could hear the voice of their host in conversation with someone that his eyes could not see. He was about to tell the nosy old man to leave, when the door opened wide for two people that Gimilzagar had never met before. One was an elderly woman; the other, a rather young man – almost a boy- with a cherry red, sunburnt face.

Both of them were straw-haired barbarians.

The Prince of the West opened his mouth, but before he could manage to come up with the first question, a great storm of emotions erupted around him. Rini gave a sharp cry, and ran around the bed to pull the old woman in an embrace. There was a quick exchange of words in their language, and suddenly she started sobbing loudly, her face buried in the hollow of the newcomer’s neck. The old barbarian’s wrinkled cheeks also looked wet, but she cried in silence.

“What are they saying? What is this, and who are those people?” he asked, out of sorts.

Retired General Minulzîr chose that moment to stride in, his features creased in the most irritating grin of triumph.

“Just some captives I still keep around from that campaign, my lord prince. I thought your bride might be acquainted with these two, and it occurred to me that seeing them again could soften her mood, so here they are.”

“Oh.” This time, Gimilzagar did not know what to say. “Are they – her kin, or something?” He turned his inquiring look towards Hazin, and the interpreter immediately bowed.

“I am sorry, my lord prince.” He addressed some words to the young man, who frowned for a while before answering something. “She is Lady Rini’s –wetnurse. He is her… I apologize, I do not know the Númenórean word for it. His… brother used to be her husband.”

So she had been married. Fíriel looked quite chagrined upon hearing this, but there was no time for pity right now.

“What else are they saying?”

“They were telling her that if she stays alive they will stay alive, too.”

“What?” Angry again, he turned towards Minulzîr, who shrugged apologetically.

“I am only trying to help, my lord prince.”

“That is not the kind of help I need! Hazin, tell her…”

“Yes, my lord prince?” The interpreter stared at him, waiting, but Gimilzagar did not know how to end the phrase. All of a sudden, he grew uncomfortably aware that the fate of those barbarians was not his to decide: it was in the hands of the man he had been antagonizing almost since he arrived to this house. Breathing deeply, he did his best to swallow his frustration.

“I only want her to be happy. If these people are beloved to her, I will give anything to the general here to persuade him to part with them.”

“Nonsense! I will take no payment from the heir to the Sceptre of Númenor!”

“I insist, General.” If Minulzîr refused to take fair payment, Gimilzagar would be beholden to him, and he was not the kind of man to let such a golden opportunity go to waste. He probably saw himself as Governor of Andúnië already, the Prince thought ruefully.

If only he was in a better position to bargain. But Rini was still crying her eyes out, now in the boy’s embrace, and Fíriel was fixing him with a rather conspicuous frown.

“And I have to refuse upon my honour as a soldier”, Minulzîr retorted in a firm voice. “The greatest reward I require is to be of service to you, my lord prince.”

Gimilzagar sighed.

“Very well”, he surrendered. Then, he gestured to Hazin again. “Tell her that they will both come with us to the Palace, to help make her life more bearable.”

“And so will you”, the old man intervened. The interpreter did a double take, though he managed to hide his turmoil well enough. “The three of you will be my wedding present to the Prince.”

“But make it very clear that they are in no danger whatsoever, from me or anyone else. Though I hope she will come to change her mind about the desirability of death, I will not force her to live by threatening others.” Hazin nodded, and even if he would never be bold enough to show this openly, Gimilzagar could perceive that the barbarian found his attitude more and more puzzling with each passing minute. Deep inside, he was debating whether the Prince of the West was just a well-meaning fool who had no idea of how things were done, or, as his people believed, a clever fiend with a sinister purpose in mind. Could he also believe in spirit-stealing demons? But, if that was the case –how terrible should his life be, for him to be secretly glad that the demon was taking him away, too? Gimilzagar found this mind-numbing to contemplate.

While he pondered this, he watched in silence as the interpreter walked towards the group of barbarians to relay the message to them. Rini frowned, and for a moment she looked beyond him to steal an agitated look in Gimilzagar’s direction. Then, she gazed down, at the fingers she had crossed over her lap so they would stop trembling. The old woman spoke to her, in a curious singsong tone that the Prince would never have associated with their harsh barbarian language. Rini shook her head left and right in slow, repetitive movements. Finally, she appeared to mumble something, which Gimilzagar would not have been able to catch even if he could understand the words.

“So?” he asked the interpreter. The barbarian looked relieved.

“They begged her to live, and accept her fate. She has agreed.” At least until she suspected him again of trying to trick her soul out of her. Gimilzagar made a mental note to keep both sharp objects, ropes, and things that could be easily turned into either away from her until he was wholly sure, and to keep all three barbarians under vigilance. Now, he could even recruit Hazin’s help for this.

“Good”, he said. “You did well. Now, wait by the door, in case they need you for anything. Allow them their privacy, but remain within their sight so the Lady Rini can summon you if she wants to. Do you understand?”

“Yes, my lord prince, I understand”, the barbarian nodded with a low bow.

“Do not hesitate to call for me if something is –amiss”, Gimilzagar added, as if it was an afterthought. The bow became lower still.

“Far be it from my mind to criticise your actions, my lord prince, but your ways are crooked indeed!” Minulzîr remarked, as they walked down the corridor towards the dining hall. “You love this woman, but you do not bed her. Instead, you come all the way here to find an interpreter so you can open your heart to her, but you would have let her have the last word and pile all sorts of abuse upon you if I had not arrived with my reinforcements. And now, you do not want her to kill herself, but you refuse to make sure that she won’t do it in the most effective way that you have at your disposition.”

And what is worse than all that: you want to hit this man on the face, but instead you humour him and listen politely to him when he speaks, he could hear Fíriel thinking at him. Her hostility warmed his heart a little.

“Perhaps you are right” he conceded. “But sometimes the crooked way turns out to be surer and faster than the straight one. Especially when it comes to women, who are crooked beings in their own right.” Fíriel glared at him, but Minulzîr laughed.

“Now, that is something I cannot deny!”

Still, for the next hours, as he nibbled at one elaborate dish after another of his host’s ostentatious version of a morning meal, trying to deflect questions about Council meetings and appointments, Gimilzagar’s thoughts remained on the nearby room, where Hazin watched Rini trade stories with her fellow tribespeople with a mixture of boredom and alert vigilance.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“I am sorry.” He said those words to Fíriel later in the day, as both watched the view of the Sea from the old general’s terrace, cradling cups of sweet and spiced wine on their laps. Rini was eating in her rooms with her people, still under Hazin’s watchful eye, and Minulzîr had just asked for his leave to deal with some unforeseen complication regarding his estate. There was a spring to his step as he left, which told Gimilzagar that he was feeling exultant about the advances he had made today. “I wish it had not turned out like this. You deserve more than cold mistrust, after all you have done for her.”

Fíriel shook her head. She had spoken little during the meal, partly because her loathing for their host had grown too ardent to be successfully hidden from her countenance and her voice, and partly because she had been too engrossed in her own thoughts. Minulzîr had found nothing amiss with that, as he probably had not even expected her to participate in the conversation, but Gimilzagar had remained acutely aware of her silence.

“What I deserve is not the point here, Gimilzagar” she said. She was frowning, as if she was wondering how to put a complicated thought into words. Even after all those years, she still thought that she needed to.

“Her fears about you stealing her soul are- not the most unfounded I have come across. Even I was made to… wonder about this once, remember? “Yes, Gimilzagar thought with a shiver, he remembered that ghastly episode well enough. Damn Zigûr to the darkest abyss of the world. “I can imagine what it must feel like to be in her position. To be expected to trust your word against the thousands who told her that you were a demon – against the terrible deeds of your people, which she has seen with her own eyes. Back in the Cave, when I still did not know any of this, I wondered if I might be projecting too many of my feelings on her. But now that I have heard it with my own ears, I no longer wonder, I know. And I pity her all the more for it.”

Gimilzagar sighed.

“I do not expect her to trust my word, but my actions. For this, time is necessary, and I intend to buy as much of it as possible. And if this means letting a petty old general get one over me, or three, I could not care less.”

“I know.” Fíriel’s eyes became lost in the slight undulation of the liquid in the cup she was cradling. “I will try not to give you a hard time about it.”

“Oh, do not worry. If there is something I know after thirty years, Fíriel, it is that wherever my father has been involved, it will be impossible for me to have anything but a hard time. I will scramble behind him, frantically trying to clean the mess as well as I can while others hate me, scorn me, or try to take advantage of my weakness.” Gimilzagar stood up, and slowly walked towards the balustrade, where he leaned to watch the Sea. “Because he wants it to be so.”

“But I do not understand!” She shook her head in frustration. “Why would he want such a thing? What does he hope to gain by dumping those women on you, knowing that you will feel responsible for their fate, and having you humiliate yourself like this? Whatever grand projects he has for the future, in the here and now you are his heir, to take the Sceptre and rule Númenor after him.”

Whether he wins or loses, there will be no more kings in Númenor. As usual, his mother’s words brought a heavy weight to his chest, which he had to spend a while trying to force out of his system.

“My father has not seen me as much of an heir since we came back from Middle Earth.” He smiled, a smile as false as the ones he had given Minulzîr. “As for what he hopes to gain – I do not know, I suppose it may just be his way of having revenge. After all, I failed him.” The real truth, of course, was that he had not been allowed to read his father’s mind in eight years now. Ar Pharazôn had rarely been in Armenelos since then, and even when he did stay in the Palace, Gimilzagar had not been allowed to see him in private. “Or perhaps I am mistaken to believe I am still that important, and it is revenge against the lord of Andúnië he is after. Or both. He certainly has a way of hitting many with the same strike. I suppose it has to do with his long experience as a military strategist.”

“If that is so, then he is pettier than General Minulzîr. You did not choose to be who you are.”

“All generals are petty, Fíriel. Didn’t you know that? They might act grand and magnanimous when they win, but when they lose, even if it is just a small skirmish against a backwater tribe of the mainland, all they can think about is retaliation. That is the only way through which their inner balance is restored, and they can feel in control again. The King has lost just as many battles as our friend Minulzîr here, he has merely done a much better job of hiding his defeats from the world.” He pulled himself up, and looked around them for signs of their host returning. “But enough of treasonous conversations for today, at least in this house. Like most soldiers of Númenor, Minulzîr is fanatically loyal to my father.”

“Even after he was disappointed in his aspirations?”

“Oh, but he thinks it was the Queen who made that appointment. That is what they always think when something does not turn out the way they want to. And now that the King is so busy with his own projects, it has become all the more plausible. That is why our General is going to such lengths to earn my gratitude.”

“How so?”

“Few in Númenor think I am able to influence my father. My mother, however, is another matter. The more her power increases in the Island, the more her beloved son becomes worthy of consideration. Now, you know I am as likely to change her mind on something she has decided to do as that barbarian Minulzîr pulled out from his fields and dressed at all haste to present to Rini as a grand gesture of goodwill. But they do not know that. She is a woman, after all, so there must be a man who can tell her what to do, and if my father is not there, it might as well be me.”

“Oh” Fíriel drank a sip from her cup, then grimaced, as if the taste was suddenly bitter. “So this is why the General is being so obsequious to us. He thinks you can make her change her mind about the appointment.”

“Yes. Thanks to her, I am still at least half of an heir to the Sceptre –which is already half more of what I would otherwise be.”

“I suppose being half an heir is still not enough to tell that man to go to hell with all his airs, his underserved aspirations and his overbearing favours” she joked mirthlessly. He shrugged.

“Not even to spare you an afternoon tea with him.” Fíriel followed his glance for a moment, only to see the object of their discussion cross the terrace doors, arguing animatedly with some administrator, who looked rather put-upon. “I am sorry.”

His lover forced a smile into her features.

“You are so lucky I always forgive you, Gimilzagar.”

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

They could not find a pretext to leave the retired general’s villa until the following day, which as far as Fíriel was concerned was already much longer than she had wished to stay. As they were finally allowed to depart, she returned to her proper place beside Gimilzagar in his cart, to continue the journey by his side. He no longer had to ride a horse beside some talkative old man, and she no longer had to keep the Pearl –Lady Rini- company, as there were now four barbarians in their party, one of them tasked with keeping watch over her, and relaying her wishes to the Númenórean servants. This meant there was no use for Fíriel’s presence in the woman’s life, and if she felt a pang of loss in her chest whenever she contemplated this, she forced herself to remember that whatever she had lost was Rini’s gain, and therefore a cause for happiness.

For the greatest part of the day, they advanced slowly through a winding road that followed the line of the coast, with the Great Sea falling to their left. In their earlier journey from Armenelos, they had often caught glimpses of townspeople and peasants leaving their houses and fields and standing by the road to gaze at them, but after they reached the Western regions the landscape had changed abruptly. Here, wherever they turned, there was nothing but vast cultivated fields, stretching beyond their line of sight. No townspeople or peasants came to meet them, and the only people they saw were slaves, hapless barbarians toiling under the sun by the hundreds, and driven so harshly that they did not dare stop their work for even an instant.

Fíriel was appalled. Back when she was hesitant to embark in this journey, she had not been sure of what she would find in the land of her birth, but to be honest she had never expected this. She saw nothing, recognized nothing that felt even vaguely familiar. Her few childhood memories had threatening priests, burning fields and broken furniture in them, but they also had villages, free peasants who cultivated the small parcels of land they had inherited from their fathers, and whose children played by the beach together. There had been work, but also rest, and festivals, and a sense of community which did not fracture even under the High Priest’s increasingly harsh demands.

“Stop”, Gimilzagar ordered the driver at some point. The shadows had been growing longer for a while now, and as he threw the curtain open, Fíriel could see the sun floating over the waves like a ball of red fire. She gave him an inquiring glance.

“Come with me”, he said simply, leaving the cart and offering her a hand from the ground. Growing more and more bewildered, she took it. “Look around you. Do you recognize this?”

Fíriel turned around, taking in their surroundings. The road had been going upwards for a while, and now they were nearing the highest point of a hill, whose slope fell gently on their side. On top of this hill, she could see vestiges of old buildings which must have been destroyed long ago, and then abandoned to the wrath of the elements. She saw rotten wooden beams, and stones covered in moss, some of them still held together to form figments of walls, others just scattered across the ground. When she was about to register her surprise that all this had been left there, instead of taken out stone by stone to plant crops in it, she heard the chime of bells, and climbed what was left of the hill to see the answer to her unasked question. A large flock of sheep was grazing nearby, probably the property of one of those wealthy landowners who had taken residence there.

“What is this?” she asked, her voice terse. Somehow, what she was seeing made her sad, though she did not know very well why. She attributed it to her general mood since they had left the General’s house and the new Western landscape had unravelled before her eyes: everything she saw had evoked a sense of loss, which she could not manage to shake off.

Gimilzagar sobered.

“Nothing.” He took her hand again. “Let us go back.”

She remained in place.

“What is this, Gimilzagar?”

The Prince of the West looked pained.

“I have made a mistake. In my vision – but I must have interpreted it wrongly.”

“What vision?” She was feeling more out of sorts at every passing minute, but she could not simply let it go as he wanted her to. “What is all this, Gimilzagar? I will not go until you tell me.”

He sighed and took a very deep breath, as if steeling himself for something.

“This is your former home, Fíriel. The house where you used to live when you were a child.” His cheeks reddened. “Please, forgive me. It was never my intention to upset you. I-I had a vision where you stood in this place, and you smiled, and were happy. Apparently, I was misled.”

The young woman’s first reaction was to laugh derisively at this nonsense. How could this be her home? He had no idea of where it was, as it was the first time he came here. And she, who had known it well, could not recognize this as the landscape of any of her memories.

“You are wrong, Gimilzagar. This is not the place. My home was close to a cliff. We children used to climb down the rocks to swim in the Sea and catch shellfish. The land surrounding it was flat, and there was no grass, a- and the road was much farther away.”

“There is a cliff on the other side of the hill. And this stretch of the road is new, some rich landowner rebuilt it at his own expense because he did not want travellers to pass through his property.” Gimilzagar did not sound argumentative, but Fíriel was growing angry at what appeared to her as a show of pointless stubbornness.

“I said, this is not the place, Gimilzagar! How dare you think I would not recognize my own home!” Had he read her mind during their journey, and perceived that she could not feel sure of anything anymore? Was he taking advantage of her confusion to show her what he believed to be a likely spot, and force on her his twisted ideas about healing?

“No, Fíriel, no! Please, let us go back. I was wrong to come here.”

She did not move.

“This is not my home.”

“You are right. It is not.” His look was beseeching. “Please, come with me.”

Even after she finally surrendered her hand to him, however, and let him guide her back towards the road where the carts were waiting, she could still feel that strange, irrational anger inside her.

 

The Governor of Andúnië

Read The Governor of Andúnië

When Fíriel received the summons, she was sitting alone on a clearing, in the lush gardens of the former Lords of Andúnië. All around her, the mallorn trees of her grandmother’s tales made a gentle chiming noise as the breeze stirred their golden leaves, and she was puzzling over the painful question of why she felt more at home in a place she had never seen until now than she had been as she stood on the spot where, according to Gimilzagar’s annoying visions, she had spent her childhood.

Perhaps the blood of Elves had this power. Just as it had been lingering enough to give a daughter of Harad grey eyes, it could also make a child of peasants recognize a palace where she had never lived, perhaps even remember a life she had never had. Or perhaps she should not blame her blood, but herself for turning her back on those who had raised her, until the places and the people of her past seemed like an anecdote from someone else’s life. Even back in the Cave, she was beginning to doubt that her vocal hatred for the priests had been genuine, or the main explanation for the uneasiness that she had experienced. She had refused to admit it while she was there, but the truth was that her feelings had not come from that place, deep within the soul, where she imagined that people carried their most terrible experiences, never to be erased. She had certainly not disliked them any more than she had Retired General Minulzîr, that self-contented, overbearing son of a bitch who had slaughtered the Pearl’s people, or his rival the current Governor of Andúnië. The more she kept trying to go back to the girl she had been back then, the more she was forced to admit that she could not recognize that person anymore, just as she had not recognized the ruins of her humble house. And this disquieted her, as if she had suddenly awoken in her bed to realize that a part of her was missing.

That was why she jumped without the slightest hesitation, and rushed to see what the barbarian could want from her. Anything, even the hostility of someone she had once wanted to be her friend, would be better now than to be alone with her morose thoughts. And if the woman had gone as far as to demand her presence specifically, as Hazin assured her many times that she had, perhaps she was ready to trust her again.

The Lady Rini and her companions had been given a set of airy, beautiful quarters in the Andúnië mansion, which must have belonged to some foremother of Fíriel. For a moment, she could not help but think of what the Lady Lalwendë would say if she saw an old barbarian sitting cross-legged in what might have been her bed, with the head of another in her lap – all this while their young, red-cheeked male companion sat at the foot, munching on nuts and spitting their shells on the beautiful marble floor. When Hazin announced her, he spat the last of them, with a louder vehemence than the others, and struggled to his feet to scowl at her, but his aggressive stance deflated after Rini said something to him. Then, some more words were spoken, and both he and the old woman walked past her and abandoned the room.

Once they were gone, Fíriel could feel the old vulnerability flickering again in the eye of the woman who now sat alone before her. Anyone in the Court would have seized this advantage to assert their own superiority, to remind this barbarian that, even though she had survived the defeat of her people, her fate would be to remain on the losing side forever.

Fíriel bowed before her.

“What does the Lady Rini want from me?”

The barbarian looked puzzled.

“The Lady Rini asks why you bow to her, my lady. She also…” Hazin’s voice trailed away as the woman spoke more words to him “wants to know who is the Prince’s wife.”

Fíriel sighed.

“That is actually a little complicated. May I sit?” Rini immediately gave her permission, but Fíriel was not going to sit at the side of her bed again anytime soon. She looked around the room for a more appropriate chair, which she managed to move just an inch before an alarmed Hazin took it off her hands. After her previous musings, this rankled a little. “You know, I have not always lived the life of a pampered lady, either. No, there is no need for you to translate that, I was addressing you!” Hazin looked both apologetic and apprehensive, and Fíriel cursed herself for her childishness. “Oh, never mind me. I am a pampered lady now, and an idiot on top of that.” She sat on the chair and looked at Rini, who seemed more confused than ever. “Translate this. The Lady Rini is one of the Prince’s wives. In Armenelos there are two others, the Lady Valeria and the Lady Khelened. There used to be a third, but … never mind. “She did not need to think deeply to realize how much harm this piece of information could do at this stage. “Leave out that last thing. As for me, I am not his wife, I am just his lover.”

Rini found all this quite strange.

“But, how can there be a single lover and many wives?” There was a brief discussion, where Hazin shook his head many times. “The Lady Rini wonders if I am… translating something incorrectly.”

Fíriel could not resist.

“No, it is just as absurd as it sounds. The King of Númenor is not –happy that his son loves me, so he keeps finding him beautiful wives to see if he can convince him to look elsewhere. But I do not blame you, my lady, and I would not dream of bearing you any ill will for something that was never your choice.”

As it turned out, however, that was not the barbarian’s main concern.

“How long have those other wives been in Armenelos?”

“Five and three years”, Fíriel answered promptly. Rini looked thoughtful.

“And did the Prince… look at them?”

“Not much. He bedded them on their wedding night, and that was that.”

“And they are alive?”

“Alive and kicking”, Fíriel sighed, before it dawned on her. “My lady, Gimil- the Prince of the West has not sucked the soul of any woman in his bed. And believe me, I have given him plenty of chances. He- “What on Earth had she just said?” He is a man like the others.”

“A man like the others? They say he can enter and possess other spirits and that he needs souls to survive. Is that a lie?”

“Ye- no.” The Númenórean woman looked down, miserably. Perhaps it might have been better to lie. “He does have unusual abilities, but those are shared by some members of our royalty. Some say they have… Elves among their ancestors. He- he inherited those abilities from his mother.”

“Do they all need human souls to survive, then? Is this why they take them from the peoples of the world through conquest?”

“No, that is…” Fíriel sighed, her heart plummeting as it did whenever she was forced to think of those issues. “When he was born, it was a very difficult birth. The High Priest of Melkor healed him, but there were… conditions. Since then, every year he grows weak, and he needs… he needs sacrifices to stay alive. But do not fear, my lady, for this will never be your fate.” Rini’s disgusted look made her nervous, and she had to do her best to keep her cool. “It was never his own choice, he was a baby when it happened! How was he supposed to know what life he would be condemned to lead?”

Rini sounded purposeful and cold as she said her next words.

“My lady’s father did not choose to die for him in the fire, either. Her kin were a lineage of mighty warriors who would have died for glory, or for their people, but not for him. You are a Númenórean, so you would not understand.”

Fíriel winced. A part of her wanted to stay silent, to bow and leave that woman with her grief and her well-earned grudges. If each of them stepped on the side of the line which had been drawn in the floor for them, it would be much better for everyone.

“My father died in the fire, too. So did my cousin, who was raised as my brother. There are tribes and feuds inside the Island as well, and my people are a tribe of exiles. My –my mother’s family used to live here, in this house. In this very room, where the Governor has graciously offered you to stay.”

The lady’s eyes widened.

“She thought that you were with him willingly.”

No, I am not. I was brought to Armenelos by force, just like you, but I learned to accept my fate and realized it was not so dreadful. Do as I did, and your life will be happier.

“I am. I betrayed my people because I loved him so much.”

The amazement and pity turned to confusion, and then, once again, to contempt.

“You deserve your fate, then.”

Fíriel sighed. It hurt – but she was no longer a child. She could take this. She could take anything.

“I know I do. But you don’t. That is why I wish to protect you. To do everything in my hand so you will not suffer needlessly. Please, you have to trust me.”

The Lady Rini’s expression did not become any kinder at this. Still, the hostility focused on Fíriel gradually seemed to turn into something else, a grimness that was more solemn and dignified. For the first time since she was introduced to a trembling captive who yelled gibberish at everyone who approached her, the Númenórean looked at her and saw a princess of her people. It was amazing how proper communication, and having her own loyal servants to lean on, could change a person in only a few days.

“The Lady Rini says that you have already helped her. Your information has been very valuable, and she thanks you for it”, Hazin declared. “But now, she wishes to be alone with her thoughts, so she says that you are dismissed.”

Fíriel bowed herself out.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“She is thinking of assassinating me now” Gimilzagar deduced, as Fíriel watched the hairdressers trying to fit a silver crown in his head without his impossibly lank hair looking wet underneath it. “I suppose it is an improvement that she no longer wants to turn the blade against herself.”

Fíriel shuddered. She hated this. All of this.

“I wonder how would the King react if one of them ever succeeded.”

“He trusts that Mother will see it coming, even if my own, weak mind happens to be clouded by guilt or blind self-destructiveness.”

“Oh” she shrugged, a monstrously inadequate response as she rolled her eyes at the mirror. Gimilzagar motioned the hairdresser to stop, and turned towards her.

“But there will be no need for that. You have been wonderful, Fíriel. With your help, I am confident that Rini will learn to survive as Khelened did, instead of… you know.”

Fíriel knew, indeed. They never spoke her name, but she was aware that, when the wretched woman was dragged to the New Temple of Armenelos to be sacrificed, he had blamed himself. She could have been on the right list; instead, her name had joined the hundreds written in blood and fire.

“So, what is next in your official schedule?” she asked, wishing to change the subject. “To feed bread to the ducks in the pond in the company of the Council of Settlers? To be taken on an inspection tour of the harbour with the Military Governor? Or just a private dinner with a hundred people that you do not know?”

“The dinner will be later, once the sun sets. Before that, the Military Governor has ‘tedious yet unavoidable duties to perform’, to which I have to assume I am not invited. He really does not like me, for all his hypocritical grovelling. He knows I have been staying in Minulzîr’s house, and he does not want to leave me the slightest opening to interfere with any of his dealings. That is why he keeps organizing those events, in the hopes that he can tire me or bore me to death and throw me off his trail.”

“And why don’t you let him? You are not Minulzîr’s spy, and there is no reason why you should care about what General Nimrakor is up to.” The hairdresser returned to his duty, as if there had been no interruption. “The truth is, I am feeling a little… out of sorts, Gimilzagar. Some company would be appreciated.”

“I know”.

“And I know that you know, but when a woman goes to the effort of confessing a vulnerability, you could learn to act as if you had not read it in her mind an hour before!” she spat angrily. His eyes widened.

“I am sorry.”

What was it with her, anyway? To be honest, she could no longer tell what was bothering her more, if her confusing feelings about her past or Rini’s words. What she knew is that all this was equally related to Gimilzagar in her mind. Suddenly, she saw herself with the barbarian’s eyes, and she marvelled at how she had allowed this man to have so much power over her. He had separated her from her family, turned her into something different from what she used to be, even made her a traitor in the eyes of her people.

Except that none of this had been his doing. It was all on her, and she was just looking for someone to blame.

Gimilzagar motioned to the hairdresser to retreat again, stood on his feet, and pulled Fíriel into an embrace. He did not kiss her, or whisper words in her ear, just held her body against his until it dawned on her how much she had been yearning for this. Perhaps mind reading was not always so bad, after all.

“Come with me. We will find a way to distract ourselves from our thoughts” he said at last, retreating a little until he could look at her face. He was only slightly taller than her, so their eyes were almost in line, even if one of his was half-hidden under a tuft of dark hair which the servant had been vainly trying to curl artistically on one side of his head. “After all, we already have some practice with that.”

For the first time in days, Fíriel smiled.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The afternoon went by slowly, lazily, in a way that Fíriel would later recognize as the ominous calm before a storm. First, Gimilzagar took her on a walk through the lord of Andúnië’s gardens, where she showed him the mallorn trees, and briefly felt better as she told him the legend of how their seeds had been brought from the Undying Lands by the Elves. Then, they walked down the coastline, and reached the vicinity of the military headquarters which had been built using part of the former grounds. While they were there, the noise of the drills and the neighing of horses disrupted the magic spell of the place, and she began feeling nervous and edgy again. At some point, she suggested that they made their way back to the house, to prepare for the evening feast. He was reluctant to do so at first, claiming that he was still tired from the walk, but in the end he agreed to go with her.

As they reached the main entrance and were about to cross the entrance hall, Fíriel was stopped on her tracks by an unusual noise, coming from the Governor’s quarters upstairs. It was the sound of raised voices, which was quenched as abruptly as it had started, though not before she could see Gimilzagar’s eyes widen, then narrow in a way that made her uneasy.

 “What is that?” Fíriel asked. They finished climbing a flight of marble stairs that took them to the upper quarters, where they found an entire row of guards on duty before the Governor’s doorstep. Suddenly, the voices reached her ears again, this time from a closer distance, causing her heart to jump. As she listened on, she could tell apart one that was pleading desperately, another ordering silence –and someone that sounded like a child crying to the top of their lungs.

“Gimilzagar, what is that?” she repeated. He, however, kept walking in the direction of his quarters, and when she did not follow him, he took her hand and tried to pull.

“Governor’s business, I suppose” he said, in an evasive way. “Come on, we should hurry.”

“There is a child in there”, she insisted. He looked slightly pained.

“I know, but this is none of our concern.”

She did not even know why she was resisting him. Her rational side was very much aware that he was right; that it was none of their business, and that barging into the Governor of Andúnië’s quarters was the last thing they should be doing. Her irrational side, on the other hand, was scared of what they were going to find. Gimilzagar had told her that this man was deliberately keeping him away from things, what if he was engaging in something sordid, such as torture or murder, perhaps even a sacrifice? Nobody in Númenor was allowed to hold sacrifices in private, though they could buy souls to be sacrificed by the priests of the great temples. Fíriel had never understood this ban, as it literally could not enter her mind that anyone would wish to do something so horrible for their own, private pleasure, but Gimilzagar had explained that ambitious folk would seek to increase their fortunes in such a fashion, and that some of them could pose a threat to the Sceptre. This had been the case with one of the Magistrates of Umbar some years ago, and also with the son of the Lord of Orrostar- at least until they had both been betrayed and their activities stopped.

But that was just it. If the man was up to something unlawful, then Gimilzagar should be able to stop him. And if not… she preferred not to think about that.

“Please, Gimilzagar” she said, letting this impulse have the better of her prudence. The child’s wails grew stronger as she spoke. “You are still the Prince of the West. They will have to let you in.”

Gimilzagar looked down, she did not know if to flee her glance, or to gather his resolve for something. Belatedly, it struck her that because of his uncanny powers, he might already know what was happening inside – and if so, it had to be something he was afraid of.

He swallowed, and took a very long and deep breath.

“Fine” he said, his voice practically a whisper. “I will do as you wish, Fíriel.”

The Military Governor of Andúnië was sitting on his desk. His guards reluctantly moved aside at Gimilzagar’s advance, though not before making the attempt to warn him that “it could be dangerous in there”. Behind them, they saw a number of chained people, which Fíriel was too shocked to count, though she could distinguish three children among them. The smallest of the three was the one who was crying, despite a woman’s frantic attempts to quiet him down. She looked at the woman’s face, and her stomach plummeted. Her mind was flooded by an avalanche of images, of the time when her family was seized by the Governor of Sor’s men and accused of conspiring to kill the Prince of the West. Fíriel had been waiting outside when they were released, and she had caught a glimpse of their eyes when they saw the soldiers open the doors of their cell and believed that it was their time to die. For some reason, she had forgotten that this particular memory was inside her mind until now.

“… there is truly no need for the Prince of the West to watch this unpleasant business. That is the reason why governors are appointed, after all.”

“I am sorry, Governor, but I just cannot believe there are still Baalim-worshippers in these shores!” Gimilzagar remarked, in a tone of surprise. Fíriel’s heart plummeted even further. They were Faithful! “Why would they remain here, so long after the rest of their people left for a place where the King himself guarantees their safety? Do they not know that they are risking their lives as well as those of their children?”

“Fanatics will do whatever they need to do for the sake of their cause, my lord prince.” Fíriel grabbed Gimilzagar’s arm again, and sank her nails so deeply that he bit back a wince, but he did not look away from his interlocutor.

“And they managed to pass undetected until now? Very impressive. Unless… I wonder.”

“What is it, my lord prince?” The Governor did not seem in a good mood, though Fíriel barely had the wits to notice this. She was too busy looking at the crying child, and the mother who cradled him, and the older woman who stood protectively over the two other children, who were shaking.  

“I heard some rumours on my way here. Some people claim that you are a little worried about your reputation, and that you may be trying too hard to make yourself indispensable by catching so-called Baalim-worshippers by the dozens. That you do not even have solid evidence to back your actions.”

“Oh, I see.” The Governor scowled. “That old viper Minulzîr has not been wasting a second of his time. He is sore about my appointment, everybody knows that, but I cannot believe he had the effrontery to subject the heir to the Sceptre to his untruths”.

Everybody in the room was looking at them now, even the prisoners. One of them, who stood before the others and looked like their ringleader, managed to hide his fear to subject both of them to a very hostile glance.

“Men like you would not recognize the truth if it was shining like the Sun, an inch away from your noses”, he spat. One of the guards hit him in the stomach, and he collapsed with a groan. A woman let go of a sharp cry.

“See? Seditious to the core! How could they be anything but Baalim-worshippers?”

“I hope that is not all the evidence you have.”

At this point, the Governor seemed to decide that he needed to change tack. His tone became softer, condescending, as if he was trying to educate a young child in some basic fact of life.

“Of course not, my lord prince. I know what I am doing, and I have plenty of experience in such matters.” He made a sign to one of his men. “Show the Prince what they had hidden in their cellar.”

The soldier opened a bundle he was carrying, and threw it carelessly at his feet. Fíriel could not help but see that some of the accused winced as the wooden statues hit the floor.

“What, this?” Gimilzagar knelt to pick it up, his brow furrowed in a politely incredulous way. “It looks like some kind of old heirloom.”

“Do you know what this represents, my lord prince? It is an image of their gods. At nights, when nobody is looking, they kneel before them and speak their evil incantations in the Elvish tongue. Believe me, nobody would keep this in their house for mere sentimental reasons, though of course that is what they all claim.”

“Perhaps you should investigate those claims, Governor. The King keeps a four-thousand-year old sword forged by the Elves as an heirloom, and believe me, he is not an Elf-friend. Now, remind me, what is going to happen to them if they are found guilty?”

“They will be taken to Armenelos to die.”

“And the children?” Fíriel could not see any emotion in Gimilzagar’s face, but she could perceive something, some kind of new energy crackling around him which she had never felt before. This gave some pause to her horror.

“I do not know, it is not my concern. Sold, most likely. Minulzîr might be interested.” The woman who was holding the child pulled him closer and whimpered.

“Then, I am sure you can give me stronger evidence than an old heirloom before you go around sending fellow Númenóreans to die. Otherwise, I might start wondering if Minulzîr was right, after all.”

“We also have witnesses…”

“That bastard wanted to get our pear orchard!” a young man shouted, before he had a chance to be silenced. The Governor snorted.

“Forgive me, my lord prince, but this is ridiculous! You do not know the situation in the Andustar, except for some malicious rumours spread by a bitter old man who is jealous of my success and covets my position. I do not think…”

“Enough!” Gimilzagar hissed. “I know very well who is a Baalim worshipper and who is not. I am able to tell from the moment I look into their eyes, and I never make a mistake, do you know why? Because they all want me dead, and I can see the hatred blazing inside their minds the moment they set eyes on me. Many have tried to hide it, but none has been successful. “He turned towards the first man, who had finally managed to struggle back into a sitting position after the blow. “Look at me. Do you think I am an abomination? Do you hate me and wish for my death? Speak!”

For a moment, a long, horrible moment, Fíriel was sure that he was going to say yes. He opened his mouth, then closed it, then gazed at Gimilzagar as if he was suddenly transfixed.

“We do not hate you!” the woman with the child cried desperately. “We would never wish you anything but long life and prosperity! Please, my lord prince, you must believe us!”

The man turned slowly towards her, mesmerized.

“No, my lord prince. We do not - hate you.”

Gimilzagar smiled in triumph.

“There, see?” His expression sobered. “Release them. Give them back their lands and everything you took from them. And stop chasing after shadows, Governor.”

Now, Fíriel could notice that the old general was definitely furious.

“With all my respects, my lord prince, I am the Governor of the Andustar. You cannot interfere with my decisions.” He turned his gaze in her direction, and she realized that he was doing a great effort to bite his tongue. “And neither can she.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“She used to be one of them! All the Island knows that!”

Gimilzagar kept his cool admirably, in Fíriel’s opinion.

“I will inform you of your options, Governor. If you send them to Armenelos, I will see that they are released once they get there, and you will be in trouble for persisting in your ill-advised attempts to have innocent people condemned. If you execute them right here, after the news reach Armenelos, I will make sure that you get in trouble for that as well. So if I were you, I would do as I say, and remain friends with me.”

“I will write to the King”, the man said, livid. “And I will complain about your behaviour. This is an interference… an intolerable meddling… after an entire life of duty and honour, I …”

“Very well, Governor. Write to him.” Right then, Fíriel saw it in his eyes: an unspoken yearning, a spark of defiance, not directed at this small man, but at the King himself. “Let us see if he can spare some of his precious time to listen to your grievances. Meanwhile, let these people go. It is an order.”

For a while, the governor of the Andustar just stared back at him, trembling with rage. Then, he made a sign with his hand, some kind of spasmodic jerk, and the soldiers started taking the prisoners’ chains off.

“Gimilzagar…” she began, but he shook his head and her voice died on his lips. He gazed beyond her, to the place where the group’s ringleader had a look of deep horror on his eyes.

“I want him in my chambers. As soon as possible. And you, too.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

If Gimilzagar had expected the Faithful peasant to be grateful to him for saving his life, he had been sorely mistaken. By the time the man crossed the threshold of the Prince’s chambers, the look of horror had evolved into one of revulsion, and he did not make any effort to bow, kneel, or show his respect in any other way.

“You are welcome”, Gimilzagar nodded. This irony finally had the effect of prompting his interlocutor into speaking.

“You – you abomination! What did you do to my mind? I felt… I- I still feel…” He shuddered, pressing a trembling palm against his forehead. He looked almost at the verge of collapsing, though his righteous anger seemed to give him strength. “Your foul darkness is still inside my head!”

“I apologize for that”, the Prince replied courteously. “I would have respected your death wish if you had not been about to drag other people into it.”

“As if that mattered to you! You are a soulless monster, you do not care about any of us!” The shudder evolved into shivers, as if the temperature of the room was suddenly lower. “All that matters to you is your petty power struggles. I am not afraid of you. None of us is. The Lords of the West are mightier!”

“That is good to know”. Gimilzagar smiled; the smile almost looked authentic to Fíriel’s trained eye. “Because you and your people are going to travel to Armenelos with me. Then, you will proceed to Rómenna, and you will not stop until you get there. As you should have done at least ten years ago.”

“I will not abandon my post!”

This time, Fíriel herself felt the overpowering urge to intervene.

“Post? What post? Listen, good man, I was born here too, and my family worshipped the Baalim just as yours did! But when they realized that they had to abandon their homeland to give their children a better life, they did not think twice about it. The lord of Andúnië has accepted his exile and is in no need of secret agents to help him ensure his return. And if you think that the Baalim will need lookouts to land on the Island and conquer it for the Faithful, then you are even more wrong about them than the rest of Númenor is!” she spat. He stared sideways at her, and was about to open his mouth when Gimilzagar interrupted him.

“I understand your need to lash out at someone. After all, you were about to die horribly, and see all your family die horribly around you. But Fíriel was not the one responsible for your ordeal. Now, get the rest of your people, pack only the essentials, and go. We will meet in the road tomorrow.”

The man still looked defiant as he limped across the threshold, but Fíriel knew that he would do as he was told –if not for him, because the others could not fail to see the danger and the futility of remaining in the West after such a close call, under the thumb of an enraged and vengeful Governor.

“I am sorry for involving you in this situation, Fíriel”, Gimilzagar apologized as soon as they were alone. She stared at him in incredulity.

“What do you mean, you are sorry? I was the one who forced you to go in there!” Suddenly, she did not know whether to laugh or cry. “So. You didn’t have the authority to threaten victorious generals, you said?”

For once, his smile was genuine.

“Not unless I start acting like a spoiled brat. Once I do, it may turn out that no one has the authority to send me to bed without dinner, after all. But you are right, Fíriel. I would never even have set foot inside that room it was not for you” he continued, after a brief pause. “As always, anything good I do, anything that requires courage, I do because you are here with me.”

She blinked, not knowing very well what to say. Had he given in to her insistence, and got into trouble with the General, just because she had been feeling uneasy about her life’s decisions?

“You are feeling better now, are you not?”

For a moment, she wanted to do many things at once: to kiss him, but also to roll her eyes at him, to be angry at him even – and in the end, she managed none of them.

“I am. Of course I am. Only, I am a little worried- what is going to happen now? The Governor is very angry, and he said he would complain to the King.” She recalled the fey spark in Gimilzagar’s eye as he had dared the old man to follow through with his threat. “Aren’t you afraid of that?”

The Prince of the West shrugged, it seemed to her that just a little uncomfortably.

“Do not worry. Generals Nimrakor has a well-known feud with General Minilzîr, and he was only too ready to identify his rival as the main responsible for poisoning my mind against him. I am just a gullible, spoiled young man with no will of his own, and accusing me will bring upon him the wrath of the Queen who holds the Sceptre in Armenelos. So, after a day or three of heavy thinking and cooling his temper, he will decide that it is Minulzîr he needs to move against. He will accuse him of something, possibly of being a secret Faithful, and Minulzîr will accuse him of conspiring against the Sceptre. And by the time the dust clears, these people and their children will be safe and hidden somewhere in the mainland.”

“Oh.” Fíriel could not help but be impressed at the clever plan he must have figured out even as he argued with the Governor. Usually, Gimilzagar did such a good job of hiding what he was capable of, even from himself, that it never failed to take her by surprise. And yet…. “But what if he hears?”

Gimilzagar took a long breath and lowered his head to stare at the point of his toes, not unlike a child who had been caught sneaking cakes from the pantry. Fíriel was about to reach for him and pull him into an embrace, when his gaze suddenly hardened, and the child was gone.

“It is his strategy, Fíriel. What do you do when you wish to elude someone? You stay ahead of them, so all they can see of you is your back. He always takes the initiative, so I have no choice but to react to it. And he keeps throwing distractions at me like a dog is thrown a bone, forcing me to chase after solutions for a hundred upsetting problems, while he prepares for the greatest war in the history of the Island. A war where Númenor will either triumph or perish.” She bit her lip, remembering her fateful conversation with the Queen. “I admit I might consider it a welcome change if I could make him turn back for once.”

Fíriel strove to wrap her mind around this.

“But, Gimilzagar, even if he were to turn back and react to what you have done, what do you think that would happen? Do you think he would no longer invade the Baalim just because you are creating additional problems for him? Or…” Now, it was she who looked down, unwilling to meet his glance. “Do you think that, if you were in his presence, you would be able to convince him? But, at what cost?”

“I do not know. I have just convinced you that this trip was worthwhile, have I not?” he retorted flippantly. When she did not smile, his face fell, and she wished she had smiled. She had been the one who had dragged him into this, and she was being so terribly, terribly ungrateful. “No, no, no, do not think that! You are right, Fíriel. I am a fool. My father is out of my reach and I cannot change his mind, or prevent anything. But do you know what?” He laughed bitterly. “Just for a moment, the thought that I might anger him just for the sake of it also looked worthwhile in its own way.”

Personally, Fíriel had not liked the look that crossed Gimilzagar’s face as he thought that. She did not want Gimilzagar to engage Ar Pharazôn in a game that the Prince could never hope to win, and where the number of casualties could be so high. But she was beginning to realize that Gimilzagar saw this as well as she did, and that it was merely his frustration speaking. Impotence did not seem to come easily, not even to those who had grown to adulthood under its ghastly wing.

“One would think I should already be used, right?”

She shook her head, suddenly feeling rebellious.

“No. This is absurd. You are merely setting your sights too high, Gimilzagar. There were twelve people there just now, twelve, and you saved them all. Do you realize what this means? As far as they are concerned, you are all-powerful.”

He looked at her in silence, for a long time. Then, in the end, he shrugged.

“That is true. I probably am an all-powerful abomination to those people.”

“Gimilzagar!” Her voice was reproachful, but only half-heartedly so, since the edge of his bitterness was gone.

“What do you think we should do now? Go to the feast and brave the Governor’s ire, or stay here and… find something better to do?”

Fíriel took his pale hand and manoeuvred it away from her cheek, acutely feeling the loss of its warmth.

You will go to the feast and brave the Governor’s ire, while I stay here and organize our departure for tomorrow. Barbarians, Baalim-worshippers and all.”

“Hm.” He stood on his feet, absently smoothing the wrinkles in his clothes. “Do you realize that you would all be arrested at the first checkpoint if I was not travelling with you?”

Fíriel gave him a brief kiss before turning away.

“We shall try not to lose you, then.”

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Isildur sighed in irritation. He had never been too fond of Pelargir, that quaint, stone-carved replica of Rómenna with a dirtier underbelly than Sor, but having to conduct diplomatic relations with the Merchant Princes just to be allowed to close deals in what they considered their territory was positively revolting. Back when Elendil had been governor of Arne, he might have tried to be friendly to everyone, but he would never have allowed those people to rule the Bay as if it was theirs by right of conquest. Whenever Isildur was forced to smile and exchange small talk with one of those greedy upstarts, he felt more violent than if he had been facing a hundred Orcs in battle.

That was why Anárion should have been here with him, he thought wistfully, dealing with them while Isildur did the hiring and the recruiting. But he had remained up North, claiming that the situation with their barbarian allies was delicate enough as to require his presence. If he closed his eyes, Isildur could almost picture the gloating at his perfect revenge for his older brother’s transgressions.

You are in quite a desperate situation, Isildur. Who will do the talking for you now? Oh, wait. Perhaps you could let him try.

The son of Elendil ignored the ghost, but he turned back to check if the young barbarian was following him. Since they arrived to the city, he had already got lost twice, just because he tended to stare wide-eyed at his surroundings instead of following Isildur as he was supposed to do. It was like being in charge of a child, he thought.

“Tal Elmar!” he called, biting back a curse as he saw that the young man had stopped again, this time to look in astonishment at some beggars who had organized a street theatre involving mock-fighting and head-clubbing. All around them, people clapped and cheered whenever one of them got hit. “What are you doing? We are expected at Abanazer’s house at midday.”

“Is this… ritual fight?” Tal Elmar asked. Isildur grabbed him by the arm and negotiated his way around the crowd, making sure that his other hand was on his bag.

“No. It is entertainment. Game. Dance. Feasting.” Of course, none of those terms could explain what they were seeing, but Tal Elmar knew no others. He had literally never seen anything but the village where he was born. “They entertain people in exchange for money.”

This was such a strange concept to assimilate that it prevented the barbarian from coming up with new questions. For a while, he just walked on, mulling over this with a silent frown –until they reached the marketplace, and he saw the display of stalls.

“That is much food!” he exclaimed in amazement. “Where it comes from? Númenor?”

“Arne, mostly. They have very fertile lands down there” This, and the Arnian nobles give it all away gladly in exchange for baubles while their own people are starving, Malik contributed helpfully. “But you must stop letting everything distract you. You are a warrior of Agar, not a child. Would you give a bird who is, I do not know, chirping in some branch your full attention while you are on the battlefield?”

“Is Númenórean land battlefield?” the young man asked him, with two parts of curiosity and -or so it seemed to Isildur-, one part of challenge.

“Yes, it is” he answered bluntly. “Your brothers wanted to kill you, did they not? Well, among the Númenóreans, there are also many who want me dead.”

“So”, Tal Elmar seemed to be mulling this over. “I go to Númenor because I in danger. And you come to Agar because you in danger.”

Malik laughed.

“Fortunately for us, the Númenórean empire is much larger than your tribe, and there are still places where people do not want me dead. There are even places where people are loyal to me, like the house where we are going now. But out in the crowd, where you do not know the faces of the people who press around you, there is always danger. Years ago, we were waylaid here, and I killed five men. “Men working for the very man you are seeking favours from, Lord Diplomat.

“If you attacked here, I fight for you”, Tal Elmar declared hotly, his hand closing over the pommel of his dagger. As he saw this, Isildur was forcefully reminded of the need to teach the young man proper combat.

“You would be a great bodyguard, Tal Elmar” he said, doing his best not to sound condescending. By now, he was aware that the young barbarian was always able to detect any traces of this in his tone, and that he reacted quite negatively when he did. “But the safest strategy is to rely on anonymity.”

“What is anonymity?”

Isildur knew the answer to this one.

“Hiding, like the warriors of Agar do. But instead of hiding in the forest, we hide here.” He made a gesture, encompassing the crowd around them. “We lose ourselves among all these people, and the eyes of our enemies will not be able to spot us among them. But for that, we have to behave exactly like them. We cannot stand out.

“They do not stop and stare” Tal Elmar deduced – very quickly, Isildur had to admit. “So I do not stop and stare. I walk quick and look busy.”

“Exactly.” Isildur smiled. “You are a fast learner.”

“And they get food.” Suddenly, there was a cunning glint in the young man’s eyes, and Malik arched an eyebrow. “So we get food?”

Isildur laughed.

“Nice try. But we are on our way to have food right now, and we do not want to offend Abanazer, do we?

The notion of offending someone by refusing their food was a constant in every culture as far as he knew. Still, perhaps the scene in Tal Elmar’s mind was a little more violent than what Isildur was able to conjure up, because he dropped the idea at once.

As they walked on, it soon became evident that the barbarian had taken the idea of anonymity quite seriously. The warriors of Agar could mimic every animal and tree in their forest, and once Tal Elmar’s mind translated that notion to imitating the people around him, Isildur could not help feeling amazed at how much like a Númenórean he walked. Even the sense of wonder was gone, replaced by a purposeful frown that did not disappear from his features until they were ushered through Abanazer’s threshold. Then, and only then, he allowed himself to relax.

“Do I do well?” he asked Isildur, with pride in his voice. The older man gave him a solemn nod.

“You did very well. You will be a great Númenórean, Tal Elmar.”

At least if they let him, Malik remarked, shrugging apologetically when Isildur turned to glare in his direction.

 

Unlikely Fellowships

Read Unlikely Fellowships

The Governor’s farewell was as frosty as the morning in which they began their return journey. Still, he was very careful not to show overt rudeness again, nor did he make the slightest mention to what had taken place only a day earlier. This confirmed Gimilzagar’s expectations about his reaction: soon after he and his retinue had disappeared beyond the horizon, the man’s mind would be brimming with vengeful thoughts of Minulzîr.  In the meantime, he had known better than to send his soldiers after those hapless Elf-friends under Gimilzagar’s nose, which had given them the window they needed to take their most precious valuables and hit the road.

Now, as they advanced across the Andustar’s changed landscape under a cold morning fog, the Prince could not help but wonder if it could really be so easy - and in a deeper, shameful recess of his mind, if he wanted it to be so. Since he was a child, he had lived under a great fear of many things: crowds, his nurse, Lord Zigûr, the King, the unknown. Even after he grew to adulthood, and most of those fears either disappeared or were revealed to him in their true dimension, he had remained affected by the powerful feeling that he was not allowed to step outside certain boundaries. If he did so, at best, he would be unable to get his way, and his defiance would be futile; at worst, he would be responsible for unleashing new and nameless horrors. This deep conviction had stopped him from fighting, from trying to change the world around him. What would be the point, if his efforts were destined to fail? He was not his father’s heir except in name, and sometimes he was not sure of where he stood, of how much he could risk before the thin ice under his feet broke, dragging not only him but everyone around him to a watery grave. He had nothing left to bargain with, no leverage except his hopes that his mother loved him enough to grab his hand when he fell, but even this certainty was tainted in his mind by the memories of her past betrayal, and his frustrating inability to understand her mysterious designs. In Númenor, those loyal to the Sceptre saw him as little more than a weak nonentity, while for the Baalim-worshippers he was an abomination.

For all his life, those considerations had been there, preventing him from following most of his impulses. He had been sympathetic, sorry, disgusted; even sarcastic, when the other emotions proved to be too painful. But at the end of the day, there was simply nothing he could do. At times, there had been one shining opportunity to feel a little better about himself without attracting attention or retribution, but he had always balked at anything bigger than that. Now, he had to wonder if he had not just been paralyzed by fear all this time, like a child alone in the darkness. He was not sure of what had made him emerge briefly from this state, if Fíriel’s morose mood, which had infected his thoughts, or Ar Pharazôn’s fourth and strongest attempt to punish him for his love for the wrong woman, which might soon be followed by a fifth and a sixth, or the unbearable pain and fear emerging from the minds of those people who had been torn from their homes and dragged into the building to be sentenced to die. It was not the first time –nor would it be the last- that he perceived such emotions in the thoughts of others, though on this instance he had not been standing before a ghastly altar, but walking across beautiful gardens which once bore witness to the happiness and prosperity of Fíriel’s family. That must be why he had lowered his guard, and forgot everything except the persistent thought that he could not let Andúnië be further defiled in her eyes. Not when she was already feeling so terrible about herself and her choices.

Still, once he had acted on this impulse, and done things that he could no longer take back, the disaster that a part of him expected had not struck. He had not been ignored, or dismissed. The Governor of Andúnië had been angry, yet wary, and though Gimilzagar had acted like a spoiled brat, he had bowed before the spoiled brat and carried out his bidding. The twelve Baalim worshippers had not been murdered in their beds that night, and they were travelling with them now. Ar Pharazôn might not hear about this at all, and even if he did, he would never hear about it in time. Fíriel had spoken truly: for a moment, he had been all-powerful.

This power, however, brought a greater uneasiness than any he had felt until now. For if he got away with this, how could he ever forget that he had acted on an impulse, and achieved what he wanted? How could he go back to a life of prudence, of well-meaning powerlessness, of trying to pass unnoticed and not reaching beyond his grasp? That life had been grey and ugly, but it was also safe and familiar, and after a while he had even managed to keep his guilt in check, at least enough to prevent it from swallowing him. This life, on the other hand… what if he was the only one who could save Fíriel’s people from the flames, or change things in the Island, perhaps even prevent the senseless invasion of the Undying Lands? That intoxicating moment, as he was still reeling from the realization of what he had done, had made him feel dangerous emotions: the wish to confront the King, to stand up to him just as he had stood up to his soldier underlings. Fíriel had tried to steer him away from this perilous train of thought, when she had made him see that the only way to feel powerful was to not set one’s sights too high. But now, the insidious doubt was already on his mind, and he did not know if it was a sign that his cowardice refused to accept or if, on the contrary, his previous instincts had been true and he was merely suffering from a temporary delusion, a dream from which he would be rudely awoken by some terrible thing happening.

While he sat in silence, pondering those things, the sun dissolved the fog, and the world started to unravel around him. Fíriel had not made any attempts to engage him in conversation, but it was no longer out of moodiness. Since the previous night, she almost seemed a different woman, possessed by a spirit of boundless energy that had been immediately poured into various causes. Soon after their departure, she had left the cart to bring food to their fellow travelers from Andúnië, after which she had walked alongside them for miles, giving no thought to the damage to her expensive shoes. As far as he could perceive from the distance, most of them were wary of the abomination’s whore, but the children and the two mothers of the group proved approachable enough, and even allowed themselves to be engaged in conversation. After a while of this, Fíriel suddenly decided that young children should not be made to walk such long distances, coming up with the idea of asking Lady Rini for permission to put them in her cart. Gimilzagar did not know what Fíriel had said to her, or how the Middle-Earth barbarian, so hostile on their previous encounters, had reacted to it, but the children were ushered through the curtained opening under the apprehensive look of their parents. This dislodged the youngest of the barbarians from his seat, as the cart was already too full. Gimilzagar saw him jump away from it, and start walking by its side as solemnly as if he was the chief of Rini’s escort –which, in the inscrutable core of his mind, he perhaps was. Both the members of the true escort and the peasants gave him a wide berth.

To have to adapt to a group of walking people, however, had thrown their plans in disarray to a great extent, and driven Lord Abdazer to a frenzy. That was why, as they trudged slowly down the meandering coastline, Fíriel came to inform Gimilzagar that she had given orders to acquire more carts in the first inn they crossed –since of course, none of their fellow travelers knew how to ride.

“That might compromise our deniability of any connections with these people”, he remarked. She smiled.

“You are a soft-hearted weakling who could not bear the idea of those unjustly accused peasants having to cross the Island on foot to escape the wrath of a provincial governor. There, denied. What other problem do you wish me to solve for you?”

Gimilzagar let his gaze trail over her windswept hair and her face, flushed from the effort of walking. He had not seen her look so alive in days, or months, he corrected himself. Perhaps it had not been such a bad idea to get her away from Armenelos, after all.

Suddenly, as he was thinking this, a burst of realization hit him. As a resort, he jumped from his seat and threw the curtain wide open. The road had made a meander to cross a green pasture, where he could distinguish a handful of cows sitting lazily. Their reddish silhouettes were sharply set against the Sea, which acted like a gigantic mirror, reflecting the sunlight into his eyes. For a moment, he could do nothing but stop and blink, blinded by its intensity. As he recovered from this temporary setback, he gazed at the peasants, who were taking advantage of the brief resting pause to wolf down the food that Fíriel had provided for them. The children were there, too, but not alone: both Hazin and the old barbarian woman had come with them, and the youngest was still asleep in her arms.

Taking Fíriel’s hand, Gimilzagar also set foot on the ground – and he saw it.

His vision.

“I was wrong. I thought that to see the ruins of your home would make you happy.” Even as he said it, he realized how clueless and stupid he had been. “But the past only made you sad, because it was already far behind you, and you could not return to it, much less change it. It gave you no purpose, only guilt.”

Purpose. Guilt. Change. The very concepts he had been struggling with for a day that felt like an eternity, and yet he did not want her to perceive his turmoil. Not now that she had been granted a precious reprieve from the doubts that agitated her own mind.

“Walk with me”, she asked. His eyes widened, and he gazed in the direction of their travelling companions. Most of them were talking amongst themselves without paying attention to them, but a couple had seen him emerge from his vehicle, and were studiously trying not to look.

“I do not think that is a good idea, Fíriel.”

She frowned, giving him her familiar look of frustration.

“There is no one in that group who does not owe you their life, Gimilzagar.”

“And the sooner they are allowed to forget about that, or rationalize it away as some… I do not know, whim of my capricious soul, complex power-plotting whose intricacies escape them, or brief transformation of their enemy into the unwitting tool of the will of their useless gods, who never raise a finger to help them, the happier they will be.”

“For your information, all these people treated me with great suspicion and hostility at first. They would not talk to me. Now, even Zamin has thanked me for the food – she is Saphad’s wife, see. The one who wanted to die and called you an abomination. I can feel he is almost ready to address me without intermediaries, perhaps in a day or two. And Lady Rini’s wetnurse is such a nice woman, I think you would like her.”

“That is not the same. For them, you can be an innocent woman who was forced or tricked into staying by my side. I, on the other hand, am nothing but a monster.”

“I don’t know if you are a monster, but you are definitely a coward.”

“What?” He stared at Fíriel, alarmed. Could she have acquired mind-reading abilities overnight, and learned about the things he had been thinking?

“You are brave enough to save people, but then you are afraid of those you save. Now, it is the Andúnië peasants, and before that it was the Lady Rini as well.”

So she was just trying to egg him on. His relief at this realization was, however, tinged by frustration that she would not see the truth. Seized by an impulse, he walked towards the group, and, just as he expected, the fragile peace found by a bunch of outlaws and barbarian slaves under the vigilant eye of the Palace Guards shattered in a thousand shards before their eyes. Parents brought their children closer, the man Saphad was begged by his desperate wife to lower his head like the others, and Hazin fell to his knees, trembling as if all this was somehow his fault.

“Lord Abdazer has brought to my attention that, at this pace, we will never reach shelter in time to spend the night” he informed them gravely. “I believe all the women and children can be distributed between Lady Rini’s cart and mine, and then the speed of our travel would increase. What do you say?”

Nobody said anything, but their horror would have been conspicuous enough even to someone who could not “pry open a thought to see what was inside”, as Mother used to call it. Gimilzagar turned towards Fíriel, who suddenly seemed to find a blade of grass at her feet very interesting.

“I…” The woman Fíriel had called Zamin looked up, her eyes full of determination. “I will travel with you, my lord prince.” Slowly, a second woman followed the same motions and volunteered in her wake, and then a third, and a fourth. Their attitude was that of a bunch of martyrs volunteering for sacrifice, and their purpose, Gimilzagar saw it clearly, was to protect the children and the youngest of their number, whom he recognized as the impulsive mother of the baby who now lay in the barbarian’s arms. Saphad made an attempt to protest, but his wife covered his mouth with one of her hands, giving him a beseeching look.

“Very well. I will be expecting you as soon as you finish your meal” he said, before turning his back on the group and retracing his steps to return to the cart. After a brief flurry of dismayed whispers, he could hear Fíriel following him.

“I am sorry. I should not have called you a coward. I know how hard it must be for you, to have people look at you the way they do. It was just – I wanted to goad you, because you were so brave when you stood before that general, and I thought that maybe…”

“That maybe the world did no longer hold to the same rules, and what used to be impossible had suddenly become possible”, he finished for her. But that would never happen. The limits were there, just a little farther from where they used to be. “I am sorry that your optimism could not last longer, Fíriel.”

She quickened her pace until she overtook him, and stood before him to cut his way.

“Do not underestimate me, Gimilzagar. I am not just in a good mood because I had my way in something, it is… it is the sense of purpose that being responsible for getting these people to safety has given me. And I do not intend to give that away so easily. We are all Eru’s children here, from the wildest barbarian to the Cursed Abomination of the West. And before this trip is over, we will treat each other as such.”

For a moment, the Prince did not know what to say, or even what to think about her new, self-appointed mission. But as it turned out, he did not have the chance, for, before he had managed to open his mouth, she had already left.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The afternoon ride was just as quiet as the morning one, though there were six people inside the cart now, instead of just two. The peasant women huddled together as far from him as it was humanly possible, and despite Fíriel’s efforts to draw them into a trivial conversation, they would not speak, move, or even breathe loudly. Gimilzagar wondered if the presence of children might have changed this, forcing them to interact through the sheer force of their mindless innocence. But he could not find any excuse to have any of them brought here, not to mention that it would have been counterproductive to scare their parents even more than they already were. As things stood, it was unpleasant enough to reconcile himself with the ghastly image of him that he saw in their minds, a distorted reflection that wasn’t him –and yet was.

That was what Fíriel had failed to understand earlier, he thought. To her, all he needed to do was to correct their gross misapprehensions, to set them right. He was fair, and good, and innocent of every evil that happened in the Island. But deep inside, even she was aware at some level that it was not so easy, which was why she carried as much guilt for keeping him alive as he did for living. Both had made a habit of drowning this small point, and yet they knew that sooner or later, it would always emerge. They would find it in the hateful glance of a defeated enemy, in the revulsion barely hidden under a Baalim-worshipper’s eye, or in the fear of four peasant women forced to share his space. And then he had to wonder what would have happened if only he had been braver… if he could put an end to his own life, or at least risked it to save them all, every man, woman and child, not just a small handful of them.

Now, Fíriel’s doubts seemed to be set aside for the time being, but his were not. Thinking about it, he realized how ironic it was, both that a show of bravery had left him feeling like a coward who did not do enough, and that an attempt to comfort someone else had had the opposite effect on himself.

“You do not look very happy”, she said, and her words cut the thick silence like the slice of a blade. He shrugged, dismissive, but she did not drop it. “Is there anything I can do to cheer you up?”

“There is no need for th…” he began, but before he could finish the sentence she was leaning on him, her cheek pressed against his shoulder. What are you doing? he asked, feeling terribly self-conscious under the gaze of the four women.

Helping your image, she thought back at him almost instantly.

Or rather, damaging yours.

Women do not react the same way as men to those things.

Well, as I recall, in the Court…

In the Court, anybody is a rival. In this side of the Island, every woman you will encounter will care about only one thing: whether you are an abomination who will harm her family, or not.

Gimilzagar turned towards the women, almost in spite of himself. As soon as they felt his eye on them, they immediately pretended to look elsewhere, but before they averted their gaze, he could see the immediateness of their fear blunted by a powerful curiosity. Just to see what happened, he threw an arm around Fíriel and pressed her close.

“Thank you”, he said, gravely. She grinned.

“Are you feeling better now?”

He sighed. Whatever her ideas about women’s reactions were, he was not about to open his heart to her in their presence.

“I will be.”

“I am sorry. He is in a brooding mood now, though usually he is a good conversationalist”, she told the others in an exasperated tone, as if she was a fellow peasant complaining about her husband. They seemed as flabbergasted by her attitude as he was, and once again she got no answer. But this time, it did not seem to bother her. “It shocked him deeply to see how the Military Governor treated you. As his father uses to say, he is too sensitive to be his son.”

Fíriel!

“We – are thankful to you, my lord prince.” For a moment, he was too stunned to hear Zamin’s voice inside the cart to make sense of her words, or even realize it was him that she was addressing. “Even my husband. They… hurt him very much, and he is still perturbed about it, but he is thankful. Please, forgive his rudeness.”

This was so unexpected, that Gimilzagar did not know how to answer. He felt that no matter what he said, or which words he chose, the moment that he addressed her the illusion of normalcy would be shattered, and the women would remember exactly who he was.

Oh, I know that he is not thankful, and that he wants me dead, but I bear him no ill will for that. I have also wanted myself dead sometimes, ask Fíriel about it.

You are very welcome, good woman. I have always felt sorry for the plight of your people, for I have seen them slaughtered upon altars by the dozens, some of them to extend my own life.

I know you are of the Faithful. Just a curious question, what do your gods think about me? Should I exist?

“I know you have suffered much in the last days” he said, internally wincing in anticipation of a reaction which did not come. “It is not my intention to measure every move you make and every word you speak in search for offense.”

“He is right! Things are more than awkward enough already with his lady wife” the incombustible Fíriel chimed in before either of them could say anything else. “Do you know that we came all this way just to find an interpreter who could speak her tongue? She was so terrified when she came, poor thing, we had to find a way to make her understand that we did not mean her any harm. I wish the King would stop forcing wives upon him! After all, he will never love any woman but me.”

“That is not a subject for…” he began, but one of the younger women spoke right at the same time, and their words cancelled each other. When she realized what she had done, she blushed to the roots of her hair, and began mumbling excuses.

“You were saying?” Gimilzagar asked courteously. She seemed to be teetering on the edge of withdrawing her words and apologizing for interrupting, but, just as he thought that she was going to do so, she gazed at the points of her feet.

“I… I was saying that I was very sorry when I heard the Lady Rini’s story. A- and that I am happy to know that she is safe with you.”

“Well- yes.” Now, it was he who wanted to blush. Stop it, Fíriel. Stop it right now, or I will throw you out. But she just smiled vaguely, giving an affectionate pat to the back of his hand, as if she had already said everything that she wanted to say.

The ensuing silence was somehow heavier than the previous one, and he could not help wondering if he had been too cutting. The women, however, were no longer so tense, and it also seemed to him that they were not trying to stay as far away from him as possible.

Good. Now, soon enough, their husbands and brothers will be following their lead.

And what is the point of deceiving them into liking me?

Says who? Fíriel burrowed her chin on his right shoulder, looking for a comfortable position, and he had to repress a small wince. Everything I said was the truth.

A very small part of the truth.

They are our travelling companions. Is there a point in frightening them with things that they will never understand? Tell me, for I am all ears.

Gimilzagar sighed. She was right, of course. To judge his person in its entirety was no one’s business except his own – and depending on the day, even he did not always feel up to it.

I love your person in its entirety, Gimilzagar.

And you thought I needed to hear that.

As much as I needed to hear yesterday that my presence had made you stand up to the Governor and save these people. Do not forget that whenever you touch my mind, I touch yours, too. She smiled briefly, then sobered again. But that is enough of bravery, Gimilzagar. The King may not hear about this, but if you grow too reckless, I am afraid of what might happen to us. Remember that there is also Lord Zigûr to consider. Please, promise me that you will be prudent from now on.

Gimilzagar blinked. How on Earth could she know that he had been thinking about this?

Just promise.

“Very well”, he whispered in her ear, still shaken at the revelation that she had read him. “I promise.”

Fíriel smiled, and this time, the smile remained in her lips for a long while.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It had not taken much effort for Tal Elmar to adapt to life in Abanazer’s house. From his tribe’s extended acquaintance with the Númenóreans, he already had knowledge of what a bed was, what chairs were for, even of how to eat their food, and the good-natured merchant found it easy to be gracious and patient with his guest’s mistakes, if he made any.

Still, whenever Isildur had visits, he always told the young barbarian to stay out of the way. Something told him that Tal Elmar, with his unusual story and strange circumstances, was bound to be of interest to people here, and the last thing he wanted was to attract more attention. Moreover, it had been his intention to leave the young man in Pelargir when he sailed North, as it would not be wise for him to be seen in Agar again –Anárion had been right about that much. But the more he studied this option during their stay, the more its own, separate set of dangers began to appear plainly before his eyes.

This came to a head on the day the Magistrate’s envoy came to dine with him. After the first time Isildur and Anárion had docked in Pelargir, and their invitation to the Magistrate’s house had almost got them killed, it had been their policy not to go into enemy territory anymore. According to Anárion, if they made enough excuses the Magistrate would send someone to them anyway, because he needed to keep track of their movements and could not afford to waste a good information channel by pretending to be offended. This time, he had seen fit not to send a mere associate, but his own nephew Sorekbal, a refined young man who evaluated the table arrangement with a critical eye, swallowed every bite with the slightly resigned grimace of someone who was used to better, and refused to discuss business until the meal was over.

“Oh, there is no need to ask the Magistrate for permission to hire bodyguards, my lord Isildur”, he chuckled, as if this entire, elaborate charade had just been a quaint mistake. “If that was so, the whole city should be fined. Now, if you had come to ask him to regulate the prices, that might have been a more interesting conversation. I am afraid this whole security craze has made them a very expensive commodity. A good bodyguard might cost you more than it would to avail yourself of the services of the Chief Healer in the Palace of Armenelos! There are stories of soldiers in Arne deserting en masse to sell their skills in Pelargir… which might pose a problem, if only anyone was able to remember the reason why they were posted there in the first place!”

Anárion would have smiled at this, and bowed obligingly. Isildur, however, just remained there, staring at his interlocutor in silence until he stopped chuckling at his own jokes.

I just realized, you have something of the warrior of Agar in you, Malik remarked. Perhaps it has been rubbing off from someone lately.

“We will manage” he said.

“Oh, yes”, Sorekbal nodded, recovering fast. “Your noble grandfather is very wealthy, I forgot. You still have not squandered all his fortune, have you? Or perhaps your trading settlement in the North has proved unexpectedly lucrative, after all. Of course, you know that, if you find precious metals of any kind, you are expected to inform the Sceptre and the Magistrate.”

“Of course”, Isildur replied. He knew that Anárion had been on the lookout for rumours about mines and such, but even if they had the manpower, the risk of exploiting them would be too great. Even the Great North was too small to defy Númenor openly.

“My lord Isildur, I hope this will not be understood as a prying question, and that you will not be offended by it.” A little too late to worry about that, isn’t it? Malik rolled his eyes. “But I feel I must ask. Are you in need of money? Because, if you are” he immediately continued, just in time to silence Isildur’s angry protest,” I could help you.”

Isildur bristled at this. He was used to those people’s subtle attempts at weighing the scope, and spying the development of the threat that his family posed to their own interests. Though it was usually Anárion who found the correct answers to fend them off, he, too, was aware of what they were doing, and how they did it. But, in the past, none of them had ever been so blunt.

“As I said”, he forced himself to reply, in an even voice, “we will manage.”

“Oh, I see that your noble soul is offended by the very idea. But it is not charity what I was proposing. Kings have taken loans from us, and this never made them any less noble in the eyes of their subjects.”

“We are in no need of loans”, Isildur said. There, very well. Breathe deeply, then let go, then breathe deeply again. Anárion would be proud of you.

“And what if I told you that you have something we are interested in? Something we would pay a great amount of money for – perhaps enough to hire an army?”

“I would say that I am not aware of having anything that fulfils those specifications” he answered, now warily. Though he felt ashamed for even thinking this, he wished Anárion was here. “The most valuable possession I have at this moment is my ship, but you own a fleet of them.”

“Very well, my lord. You are playing coy with me, so I will cut to the chase”, Sorekbal declared, with a perfunctory laugh. “It has come to my knowledge that you brought a very unusual young man with you from the North. Some describe him as a barbarian Númenórean; others, as a Númenórean barbarian. Rumour has it that his mother was carried off by a wildling, even that he was stolen from a cradle of the Middle Havens and raised by the Forest People. Because of this he looks like one of us, though he talks and behaves like one of them.” The wretched man was taking full advantage of Isildur’s sudden inability to come up with words. “And we are very interested in him, the Magistrate and I, enough to let you name the price. Oh, perhaps you will say it is terrible business to squander so much money on a mere whim. But people around these parts are inordinately interested in anything uncommon. I suppose that is what happens when you run out of common things to own.”

Malik did not even say anything this time. If his expression was any indication, however, he was almost as upset as Isildur.

“Lord Sorekbal” he spoke after a while, giving the most studied inflection to every syllable of the name, “I do not know who informed you of the existence of Tal Elmar, but they seem to have made a number of important mistakes. For one, he is the beloved son of an important chieftain of the Wild Men who struck an alliance with my brother and me, and he is staying with us as a hostage of rank. He is not for sale.”

The merchant arched a dyed eyebrow.

 “A hostage of rank?” he asked, with an expression of polite incredulity that Isildur wanted to punch off his face. “Something tells me that the current chieftain of that backwater tribe would not grieve too much at his disappearance.”

So they already knew that Hazad had died. It was a serious matter to consider that there were spies among their people, probably a lot more serious than the present conversation about Tal Elmar, at least if Anárion had been there to judge. But somehow, Isildur could not find it in himself to even think of this right now. If it had been revealed that the Merchant Princes were deep in talks with the new Master of Agar himself, he would have just brushed the information aside.

“Listen to me very carefully, Lord Sorekbal” he hissed, in a very cold voice. Inside, by contrast, he was feeling hot, as hot as if a fire was burning in his innards. “I do not care what you have heard, or what you think that you know, but as I have told you, Tal Elmar is not for sale. He is a free warrior of Agar, and his father left him under my protection. And even if this was not so, I would never sell him to you. So take your offers, your money, your deceitful manners and your schemes, and be gone from this house, or I will throw you out myself. I wish to breathe some fresh air, and I have already had enough of your foul poison.”

At this point, Isildur fully expected the merchant to stand up and leave in a rage, vowing retribution for his insults. He knew that Anárion would be angry later, that there would be new problems to deal with in the future, and that he would be responsible for them, but he did not care. He did not care for anything at the moment, there was nothing and no one for him except this man that he suddenly wanted to offend as deeply as he had been offended.

Instead of storming off, however, Sorekbal drank the last sip of his wine. He grimaced at the bitter aftertaste, and stood up with a studied slowness.

“A thousand apologies, Lord Isildur. I had not been made aware of the nature of your relationship with this barbarian. I will inform the Magistrate, and we will not insist further.”

Thunderstruck, Isildur watched him perform a polite bow, and turn away to leave the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Abanazer’s house had a backyard, though it was not like the one in Rómenna, where Isildur used to practice swordsmanship undisturbed. This one was constantly invaded by servants who came and went from the kitchens, and there were about a dozen chickens running mindlessly in every direction, pecking the ground and making annoying noises. No one in their right mind would have chosen this spot to spend their free time, except for Tal Elmar, who seemed to find the hustle and bustle of the household fascinating. At this very moment, he was watching in great interest how a woman hung fine slices of salted fish to dry under the sun, and –from the looks of it- pelting her with questions which she answered in fond resignation.

“Does he look anything like me?”, he asked Malik, scrutinizing the young man’s features with a critical eye. He had fine Númenórean skin, and a beautiful head of hair which looked nothing like the coarse mane of his barbarian kin. He was not as tall as a full-blooded Númenórean, but he was well-proportioned, if perhaps a little too slender, probably from his diet and from not having been trained in proper combat. His eyes, however, were darker than those of the house of Andúnië, and they became even darker when he looked grave or focused, as he did now. As for his nose, though longish, it was nothing like theirs in shape -a little thicker perhaps, but significantly less sharp, and much more pleasing to the eye.

Do I have to fill in Anárion’s shoes and remind you that you did not set foot in the North until ten years ago? No ten-year old would look like that, even among the short-lived folk, Malik remarked from behind him. But then again, you are not an idiot, are you? You already knew that. You are just in denial.

Isildur shook his head with violence. Since that infuriating man had left, he had not even been able to do something as simple as focus his thoughts. It was like trying to hold on to a handful of grain; the stronger his grip became, the more it escaped him. At some moments, he was filled with the overwhelming urge to chase after the merchant and confront him about his words; at others, he frantically tried to forget that this conversation had ever taken place. In between, he wrestled with attempts to rationalize it away, or convince himself that something entirely different had been meant. Because if Malik was right, then Isildur’s honour had been compromised before his very face, and he had done nothing, said nothing, which was as good as accepting the resulting dishonour.

Or perhaps just as good as accepting that he is right.

“He. Is. Not”, he hissed, trying not to choke on his own words. “What is the matter with you? Tal Elmar is under my protection, nothing more. I have never acted inappropriately towards him, and you damn well know it!”

I know that. But I know many other things, too. Like the way you have looked at him since your men brought him struggling into your camp, unsure of whether they had caught themselves a wildling or an Elf. Or the way you do not look at your wife when you are in bed with her. Or…

“Stop, Malik.” Isildur had never desired so fervently that the ghost whose fate had been forever entwined with his would stop talking. “Stop. Now.”

Or the way you looked at me, back when you were young and clueless enough to believe that you loved me as a brother, and I was young and clueless enough to believe you.

“I never did… never even thought…” Again, words failed him. “You were involved with my sister!”

And yet I am here with you, not in Rómenna with her. She accepted my passing, be it bitterly and grudgingly, but you couldn’t. Your love is all that keeps me here now. And I thought that you knew.

“I know that. Of course I do. But this and that are not the same thing. We are not only speaking of love here, and that man certainly was not.”

Do you know what? One of the advantages of being dead is that you see things as they are, as you no longer need to waste your time seeing them as you want them to be.

“How can you accuse me of feeling an unnatural lust? You!” Isildur could not believe his ears. To hear the words from that degenerate merchant had been bad enough, but this – this man, who had been with him since childhood, who slept by his side on a dozen campaigns, who gave his life in exchange for his – how could he think that of him?

You are in love with your freedom, and with a dead ghost, Malik had said once, back when Isildur got drunk at his own wedding ceremony. And he had nodded, knowing deep inside, with the certainty that only wine was able to give people, that it was true. True, and yet, somehow, incomplete.

As incomplete as he had felt every single night after that one, when he did an effort to keep his distaste at bay and bed the woman his grandfather had forced him to marry. He had convinced himself that it was merely her looks, the bitter aromatic taste of her lips, her annoying voice what he found difficult to stomach. But it was not just her: every other woman was the same to him, and he had told Lord Amandil that he did not wish to marry at all. And he had meant it.

Isildur rubbed his eyes several times, feeling the burning heat of shame radiating off his skin. Tal Elmar was still busy helping the woman, and had not noticed his presence yet. Aware that he had to take advantage of this circumstance while he still could, he turned away, hurrying across the gallery and towards the privacy of his room as if the enemy was close at his heels. Once he was there, however, he realised that Malik’s words had made it much harder to banish the young man’s image from his mind than it had been to stop looking at him. It was as if a dam had broken, and visions of many strange, impossible situations began rushing through it in a relentless cascade. Greatly distressed, he put his forehead against the wall, but even the steady feel of the stone was not enough to cool his senses.

“Damn you”, he hissed, angry at the ghost’s infuriating composure. “You did this to me.”

I did not…

“Silence! Lord Círdan already warned me about you, and I did not listen! What if you are an evil spirit, seeking to undo me? What if you are… what if you have been preying on my mind all this time?”

I have never meant you any harm, Isildur. You know it. He sounded wistful, almost –sad; a very different attitude from his usual bravado. Isildur, however, was too angry to be stopped by such underhanded means.

“You are a liar”, he said, raising his voice, “and I do not want to listen to you anymore. “

But…

“Go away!” he yelled. Malik did not insist further: his shadow retreated, and all around Isildur there was suddenly nothing but silence.

Hours later, he was still sitting alone in an empty room, but the disturbing images had not left his mind. And then, a shudder crossed his spine as he contemplated the terrifying possibility that they never would.

 

 

The Storm

Read The Storm

The shipyards of Forostar were finished at last. The North, which had been the most sparsely populated region of the Island for so long, had turned into a hub of activity, and a home to the crowds of slaves and free workers who had toiled every day for the last six years to achieve the colossal feat of engineering. As every guest who had seen this marvel with their own eyes had seized the chance to remark, next to it Ar Adûnakhor’s endeavours were reduced to a beginner’s pitiful attempts at greatness. It might seem foolish, since his own conquests on the mainland had amply surpassed those of his predecessor in glory as well as in extension, but Ar Pharazôn had not truly felt that he had beaten him until now. Perhaps he was more of a Númenórean than he had ever believed himself to be, and his glory was only truly quantifiable in the eyes of the people of the Island - those who had never set foot beyond the Great Sea, and for whom the greatest barbarian kingdoms and the farthest lands were nothing but names.

“Oh, this is only the start of your glorious deeds, my lord King”, Lord Zigûr nodded. Ar Pharazôn was already used to have him come in unannounced, both to his presence and into his thoughts, so he did not show surprise. “The Undying Lands may be just a name in this land of mortals, but you can be sure it is not a name like the others.”

No, it was not, he thought, pensively. The weight of superstition carried by the very mention of the Utmost West was so great that it even crushed his own chest sometimes, in the privacy of his sleeping chambers. Perhaps he was also more of a Númenórean than he had ever believed himself to be in this, and yet nothing was achieved by thinking like a coward.

“Did the Queen receive my message?” he asked, changing the subject before Zigûr could notice his misgivings. The High Priest of Melkor nodded.

“The whole Court will be here by Midsummer for the inauguration ceremony.”

“Good.” That left him with a month to prepare the celebrations, and he already anticipated that there would be no second of it to waste. He wanted this to be the most splendid ceremony to take place since he assumed the Sceptre, regardless of the cost. The new shipyard could hold over a million people, both on solid ground and on the vast extensions of land they had wrestled away from the Sea Queen’s grasp, and several thousands more were expected to arrive in ships and boats. The purification rites would last for three days and nights, during which all those people would need to eat, drink and rest. Then, on the final day of the festivities, three hundred priests had been summoned from Armenelos and the East of the Island to take part in a sacrifice to the Deliverer. It would be the greatest sacrifice to be held in Númenórean soil, and the logistics were daunting to contemplate, but none of those things was what troubled Pharazôn the most. Before the sacred flames brought from Armenelos could be fed, he had made plans to address the multitude, and his speech was almost all he could think about.

For years, there had been many rumours about his secret projects, both in the Court and in the Island at large. Some of them had been rather accurate, and most of them quite widespread, but nobody had ever received any official denial or confirmation from his own lips. Now, for the first time, this was about to change, and this made him feel more uncertainty than he was ready to admit. Another superstition, as Zigûr would no doubt tell him if they were to discuss it. It posed no problem to spend six years’ worth of time, effort and revenues in building the biggest shipyards the world had ever seen, which would in turn be producing fleets of ships before long, but to say that he was going to wage war on the Baalim, to speak the words aloud in a place full of people, somehow had a dangerous air of finality that he could not entirely shake off from his mind.

“They will be overjoyed to hear this news from their King”, Zigûr said. “You are their golden conqueror, who defeated Mordor and reached the ends of the world. In their eyes, you are capable of anything.”

“And in yours?” Pharazôn arched an eyebrow. When Zigûr began to open his mouth to reply, however, he brushed him off. “Never mind. Save your prudent turns of phrase for another moment, I am not in a mood for them right now.”

“My lord King, I admit I have not always been confident of your success. The Baalim are powerful, and I possess first-hand knowledge of their strength”, the High Priest insisted. “But seeing what you have achieved in a few years has made me change my mind. Despite your mortality –no, because of your mortality-, your will to carry out the most challenging projects, and to do so in the limited span of time allotted to you, is stronger than ours will ever be. Do you know how many hundreds of years it took me to accomplish what you have done here? I would hide behind my fortified walls, increasing my strength, yet worried to reveal myself, to risk it all and lose it again. Oh, I was strong now, but how much stronger would I be in another hundred, two hundred, three hundred years? Would I not stand a better chance then? That is what we immortals are at the end of the day, my lord King – a bunch of cowards.”

Pharazôn snorted.

“If you are trying to make me desire immortality, you are not selling it very well. Do you wish me to turn into a coward, perhaps, hiding in my island until a fleet of brave mortals come to tear the foundations of my power to the ground?”

“My lord King, I doubt you will have to wait for barbarians to learn how to sail all the way across the Great Sea to challenge you. “Zigûr sobered, as if he had been forced to remember something unpleasant. “There are people in the Island who would challenge you here and now, if they could get away with it. And once they hear your own admission of what you are planning to do, I fear they may come to the conclusion that they have to act before you become immortal.”

“You mean the Baalim-worshippers”, Ar Pharazôn deduced. “What can they do to me? Many of them have left the Island by now, and those who remain are cooped up in Rómenna for protection. Oh, and their lord could rival any of the immortals in cowardice.”

“Cowards also have their own weapons.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“Nothing, my lord King. I just worry that, as a warrior, you value military strength so much that you tend to underestimate other resources. But there are those who, though they could never hope to defeat you in combat, may still worm their way into the heart of those closest to you and use them to plan their strike.”

Now, Ar Pharazôn’s voice grew deadly serious.

“Zigûr, as you already said, mortals have a limited span of time. So either speak to me directly, and start naming names, or take your leave and go, for I am a busy man.”

“A thousand apologies, my lord King.” As he had already guessed, Zigûr stayed where he was. “To say the truth, I have… received some worrying news from the West of the Island. As you know, the Prince of the West has travelled there recently, to visit the Cave and undertake some – inquiries for the benefit of his new wife.”

“Oh yes, I know that.” The fool had come up with an elaborate excuse involving the High Priest of the Forbidden Bay, just to find an interpreter so the barbarian woman could insult him to his face. The more he thought about it, the greater Pharazôn’s astonishment was at the fact that he had ever thought Gimilzagar would be a worthy heir if only he tried hard enough.

“What you may have not yet heard is that, while he was in Andúnië, he barged in the Governor’s rooms while a number of recently discovered Baalim-worshippers were standing trial, forced him to release them, and crossed more than half the Island in their company. And he was accompanied in those endeavours by his mistress – you know, the daughter of the Lord of Andúnië.”

Pharazôn blinked, surprised by this turn of events. His son was a coward, and he had never defied him openly, unless it was to keep that woman as his lover in the Palace, but this he did only because he had the Queen’s support. Ar Zimraphel, inscrutable as her actions could sometimes be, would never fight Pharazôn over the fate of a bunch of Baalim-worshippers.

Then again, he thought, mere moments ago he had thought that Gimilzagar would never fight him over the fate of a bunch of Baalim-worshippers, either. If his son had done this, it was probably because the wretched girl had asked him. Yes, that was it –she must have begged for their lives, and his infatuation and sensitive nature had done the rest.

“Well, I see he has managed to grow a spine. Not a moment too soon, I might add,” he remarked, with a shrug. Zigûr, however, would not be so easily deflected.

“I believe you should be more concerned, my lord King. Back when she entered the Palace, you wisely kept her away from wielding any political influence, and yet one cannot underestimate the hold she has over the Prince’s mind.”

“So what? The Prince does not have any political influence, either. If he tries to be rebellious now and then, what is the harm in that? We will curb his insolence if he goes too far.”

“I beg to differ. The whole Island knows that the Queen loves her son, and as long as they see her holding the Sceptre, they will obey the Prince on her behalf.”

He took a moment to ponder this. Zigûr had never said so outright, but from long and careful observation of his behaviour, Pharazôn had guessed that the High Priest was not very fond of the Queen. Instead of bothering him, this had pleased him, for knowing that even an immortal could be as unnerved by her as he was made him feel less weak. But now, for the first time, Zigûr seemed to be openly trying to introduce dissension between them.

“I just wish you would be more careful, my lord King. There is quite a complicate spider web forming around you, and it may well be that once you wish to escape it, it will no longer be possible. You love the Queen, who loves the Prince, but the Prince loves a Baalim-worshipper, and of course the girl loves the Baalim and her father, the lord of Andúnië. Which means that someone who has access to you may be led to believe that the Island would be better off if you were dead.”

Pharazôn was about to laugh this whole nonsense off as ludicrous. That Fíriel certainly had no access to him, and Gimilzagar would never have either the will or the guts to kill him. He had seen his son feel pity for the fiercest enemies of Númenor, and no matter how opposed he was to his father’s policies, this way of thinking was too deeply ingrained in his squeamish character. Also, all Baalim-worshippers thought Gimilzagar an abomination, and hated him with every fibre of their being. He would never be their Prince, or their King, and if they had their way he would be dead. Even his son had to be aware of that.

On the other hand, there was Zimraphel to consider, and it was when thinking of her that those certainties became less fixed in stone. The suspicion that she knew something that he did not, that she no longer had his best interests in mind, had never wholly abated in the last years: now and then, it reared its ugly head, forcing him to wrestle with the implications. If she cared for Gimilzagar more than she cared for Pharazôn, what would prevent her from playing both sides against the middle, and convince both him and the Baalim-worshippers that she was on their side, only to betray them when they were no longer useful? She could use them to be rid of Pharazôn, and then be rid of them so her son would live, and rule after her. And of course, once Pharazôn was gone, Zigûr would only have to shift his loyalties a little to keep his position.

As he became aware of the twisted place where his thoughts had led him, the King of Númenor could not help but cringe. This was madness. He was not a person who second- and triple-guessed the words and actions of others. He was not Ar Gimilzôr, who had never stepped out of the nest of intrigue that was the Palace of Armenelos, or even looked beyond it. He was Ar Pharazôn the Golden, the man who had conquered the world, and who would soon stake a claim to godhood. He did not have time to engage in this. No – he refused to engage in this.

“As I said, lord Zigûr, my son’s rebelliousness is of no concern to me. He can try to be a hero behind my back as much as he likes, but we both know that the moment he stands before me, he will be nothing but a coward, the same way he has always been. And if he is under his mother’s protection, so be it. Though he has been a bitter disappointment to me, he is still my son, and I would not wish anything to happen to him.”

For a moment, he thought that Zigûr would challenge his words, and was ready to dismiss him in anger. The dark spirit, however, must have anticipated his reaction, because he just bowed with a tight smile in his lips, and said no more.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The Queen left Armenelos with her Court nine days before Midsummer. Usually, the heat of the sun would be falling without mercy on those who travelled at this time of the year, but the weather had proved rather inconstant of late, and the skies had a leaden grey colour for most of their journey. The day of her arrival, the wind was blowing with such intensity that their public reunion on the ramparts was far quicker and more perfunctory than what had been originally planned. All around them, disgruntled courtiers and dishevelled ladies did their best to keep a stoic grip on their composure, but there were moments when nobody could even hear anything over the roaring of the elements. Still, they were all duly impressed at the grandeur and scope of the works, and gazed in curious trepidation at the barbarians who still toiled to give the finishing touches to the constructions.

“Very impressive”, Zimraphel remarked, though there seemed to be no emotion in her features as she spoke, other than vague boredom. Ar Pharazôn pretended to nod graciously.

“I am very glad that my Queen approves.”

“Congratulations, my lord King” Gimilzagar said, bowing formally. He looked even less enthusiastic than his mother did –in fact, the expression in his face conveyed nothing but unhappiness. Behind him, his three wives advanced with their respective entourages, and Pharazôn could see that the latest acquisition to the list had finally been tamed enough to appear in public. Beside her, there was another barbarian of her same kind, perhaps the interpreter Gimilzagar had taken such trouble to find –and next to him, as if she was just one more lady of the Court, stood the whore from Andúnië herself.

Pharazôn had not meant to dwell on the tales of conspiracy that Zigûr had tried to feed him, but now he found that he could not stop thinking of them. Suddenly, he was only too aware of the growing disharmony between the members of the ruling family of the realm, which he could no longer stop perceiving in every word they spoke and every movement they made. More bothered by this than he was ready to admit, he turned towards Gimilzagar, and realized that his son was staring wistfully at the barbarian workers.

“What is it?” he asked, with a sharp edge to his voice. The Prince of the West lowered his gaze.

“Nothing, my lord King.”

“The Prince looks troubled”, Zigûr intervened, with perfectly feigned concern. At the sound of his voice, Ar Zimraphel seemed to emerge from her own thoughts, and shed her disinterested mood to size the High Priest with her glance.

“You know how our son is, Pharazôn. He can see that all those men are going to be sacrificed in the inauguration ceremony of the shipyards they built with their own hands, and this makes him sad.”

“Is that all?” Pharazôn arched an eyebrow. “In that case, perhaps he could give us ideas of what we should do with over a thousand mouths we have no further need for, and who are too spent to be of use anywhere else. Not to mean the logistics of bringing perfectly able people from the mainland to suffer their same fate, minus the sentimentality. But I forget, that is not how his mind works, is it?  He grows attached to what he sees; that people die to keep him alive is fine as long as he cannot see them.”

Now, Gimilzagar’s cheeks grew even paler than usual, but he did not flinch.

“Really, Pharazôn…”

“I am fine, Mother”, the Prince interrupted her. “Perhaps a little tired from the long and uncomfortable journey. If you will excuse me…”

“Of course, my son”, Zimraphel replied before Pharazôn could open his mouth. The Prince bowed and took his leave, and his ladies and their entourage followed him like a multi-coloured serpent trailing behind his footsteps. For a moment, Pharazôn caught a glimpse of the Baalim-worshipping whore, who was looking troubled. What was she afraid of?

Then, he turned towards Zimraphel, whose anger lurked just underneath her dark orbs.

He is not your enemy, she had claimed, years ago. But if you keep walking down this road, he will be.

“You are dismissed, Lord Zigûr”, she told the High Priest of Melkor, grabbing Pharazôn’s arm and walking with him in the opposite direction from the gates which had just swallowed their son and his people. “And the rest of you, too.”

Slowly, if a little disconcerted, the procession continued making its way inside the great building. The weather made it unlikely for others to catch on their conversation, but perhaps she thought they would be able to see a look, an expression that appeared out of place and might alert them that something was wrong.

“I see that your lack of communication with Gimilzagar is being taken advantage of, to make you doubt his loyalty” she began, pretending to gaze at the miles of shipyard stretching below their feet. “A lack of communication which you started, Pharazôn, but now is being made to look like his fault.” She leaned over the stone balustrade, the dishevelled locks of her hair flapping hard against her pale face. “You need to talk to our son.”

“You are right.” He tried to smile easily, but the smile would not come. “I need to talk to him.”

She gazed at him in suspicion, with that familiar look that told him she was reading something far deeper than the expression of his features.”

“We will talk, but after the ceremony” he continued, trying to ignore her probing eyes. “Before that, I am afraid I will be too busy to give Gimilzagar the attention that he clearly deserves.”

But after all these years, he should have known much better than to think he could hide anything from Ar Zimraphel.

“I see. It is not only Gimilzagar’s loyalty what is worrying you, is it? By all the gods! That you would listen to Zigûr’s garbled lies and consider them in your mind even for a moment, you, who used to be so proud of your ability to keep him under control!”

He was not even sure if he was feeling angry or ashamed.

“Zimraphel, that is not…”

“Oh, let me ease your mind on this count, Pharazôn. Unlike you, I do not intend to play into Zigûr’s hands, or give him what he wants”, she interrupted his sentence, as if she had not heard him. “This is between Gimilzagar and you, and that is how it shall remain. I will not intervene, take sides, or give that poisonous snake any more chances to feed your mistrust.”

He sized her up, wishing with all his heart that he was able to read her mind as well as she read his. For a moment, he felt seized by a strange vertigo when he remembered how he used to love her with such a burning passion that it had seemed more than enough to bury all his misgivings.

“Not even if he runs to you in tears?”

She did not give this a second of thought.

“He will not do that, Pharazôn. Despite what you think, his feelings towards me are no warmer than his feelings towards you, and he would rather die than ask for my help.” Her voice became heavier now, and for a brief instant, so brief that he had to wonder if it had just been wishful thinking, she seemed genuinely upset. “Which is exactly what will happen if you kill her.”

He did not answer this, too busy feeling irrationally angry at everything and everyone– at Zimraphel, for reading his weakness like an open book, at the little whore, for clinging to his son’s back like one of those parasites in the mainland, who could not be dislodged from the host body without killing it; at Amandil, for finding such a creative way to get back at him even from his place of exile. And above them all, at Gimilzagar, for refusing to be his son.

“That transgression has always been its own punishment, Pharazôn. Always.” Zimraphel shrugged, turning her back to him and beckoning to the ladies who had remained patiently waiting for her by the threshold. “If you were not so blinded by resentment, you would see it yourself.”

The King still did not answer, partly because they were within earshot of other people now, partly because he could not come up with anything worth saying. Instead, he followed her to the entrance hall, where the councilmen and courtiers bowed obsequiously as he appeared among them.

That same evening, as the Court retired to their respective accommodations to find some rest from the hardships of the journey, Pharazôn gathered Zigûr and the head priests, and gave them the final instructions for the ceremony.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The purification ceremonies had been as dull and tedious as it could be expected, full of chanting priests, petty battles over pre-eminence, ladies complaining over the weather and the quality of their accommodations, and the dull, disheartening feeling of anticipation that seemed to seep into Gimilzagar’s mind whenever death and suffering loomed in the horizon. This feeling was both immediate –the slaves working on the site were chained and kept under surveillance, and as the pyres rose in the huge breakwaters built over the Great Sea, some of them were beginning to suspect and despair- and far-reaching, for this impressive work of engineering had been built with one purpose in mind, which left no shadow of a doubt for any who saw it. There was simply no reason why so many new ships would be needed, unless the most ominous rumours all turned out to be true.

Soon, everybody was whispering about the speech that the King was going to give on the night of the closing ceremony. But instead of despondency and terror, as it was the case with the doomed barbarians, there was a sense of giddy excitement behind most of those whispers. Gimilzagar wondered if he would have been like them, if not for the gift, or curse, which told him that the future was growing as dark as the sky above their heads. Perhaps if he could not feel Ar Pharazôn’s troubled mood whenever he set eyes on him, he would also have been fooled by his kingly look of confidence, by his airs of predestination. But as it was, the only thing the Prince of the West felt was fear, in such a deep level of his soul that he had to fight with every ounce of his determination not to succumb to it.

As the fateful night approached, Gimilzagar sent the Lady Rini and her companions to their quarters, claiming that she was feeling indisposed. If he could, he would have done the same for everyone, for Fíriel, for Khelened, even for that annoying Valeria who, behind all her aristocratic arrogance, hated the sight of blood and was growing more apprehensive with every passing hour. But he had the suspicion that the King was watching his movements closely, and that something would give before long.

“Do not worry about me”, Fíriel said to him, in one of their rare moments of privacy. “Once, you told me that the key to this was practice, and I have as much practice as any of those people by now.”

Practice. She was trying to make light of the situation, but in truth she found the word as macabre as he did. The thought that she, that he, that all those who surrounded them had grown used to make a spectacle of the death of others gave him a renewed awareness that nothing he could do would make a difference anymore. He tried to remember the twelve people he had saved, who with luck would be on a ship bound for the mainland by now, but the whole trip from Andúnië, and the tenuous bonds of trust they had established on the way, felt like a fever dream of those he used to have when he was younger.

Still, it was not until they stood under the cloudy sky, chanting prayers under the direction of the priests, and the King suddenly beckoned at him from the highest altar, that Gimilzagar realized the full truth. His father had been acting like this because he knew. He had been made aware of his transgression somehow, probably through the dark arts of his demon counsellor. And now Gimilzagar finally had what he had wanted for so long: his father’s attention. But as he slowly climbed the stairs towards the fire, he could no longer understand how he could have ever believed that this was something desirable. He felt like a hunter on a mad chase, whose prey suddenly dug on its heels and turned back to eat him. Fíriel had been right all along.

“Gimilzagar, you will assist me” the King announced, watching as the two priests assigned to him as acolytes carried the first struggling victim towards the altar and threw him across it. “I cannot sink the knife unless he stops moving his head. Hold it in place for me.”

You cannot be one of them, his mind was saying, and it was amazing that Gimilzagar could hear this clearly over the victim’s disconnected yet terribly strong emotions. You will never be one of them. You are an abomination, and the moment I am not here, your life will be worth less than the lives of these barbarians.

“Father.” He could not believe how weak and pleading the voice came out of his lips. It was as bad as conceding defeat, the proudest part of him thought, but the other, the one who had always known where he stood, did not even bat an eye. “You know what happened the last time. Please.”

Until now, he had been certain that, despite everything, Ar Pharazôn did not want him dead. Removed from his presence, yes, away from the Sceptre, certainly, but dead? Had his expectations of immortality eliminated the barest human instincts from his heart?

“Oh, I know what happened the last time. Your little Baalim-worshipping whore saved you, and anchored you to life. We have been feeding, clothing and housing her for years because of this alone, even keeping her alive despite our better inclinations. Are you telling me that she would be unable to do it again?”

Feeling empty inside, Gimilzagar grabbed the barbarian’s shoulders and pressed them against the stone slab. Practice, the word repeated itself over and over in its mind. It is just a matter of practice. But his grip was not powerful enough, and even this man, whose bones could be felt from malnourishment right underneath the broken skin, found the strength to break free.

“For both your sake and his, I advise you to find a way to keep him still”, the King hissed. Out of a panicked reflex, Gimilzagar dived into the man’s mind. He saw many images, faces of people he did not know, turning in circles at vertiginous speed. Do not look at them, he forced himself to remember. Do not get lost here. You are not him. You do not know any of those people.  You are Gimilzagar, the Prince of the West.

The barbarian’s eyes widened in horror as he detected the intrusion. His struggles increased, but now he was not trying to flee the knife; instead, he was terrified of the dark magic taking hold of him.

Do not resist. It will be painless, I promise. You have suffered much, but now all your sufferings will finally be over. The Great God will take you to a place where your soul will heal and rest for eternity. But for that, you must stop moving. Please.

Suddenly, the barbarian stopped struggling. His eyes stopped darting in every direction, and instead they fixed themselves on Gimilzagar. At some point, his lips started moving, and though he did not know the language, the Prince was somehow able to understand that he was asking him if this was true.

Yes, he said, glad that he did not have to use his voice for this, for it would break. Yes, it is true. You only need to…

The connection broke violently as the knife severed the artery with the cold precision of the butcher. Practice, Gimilzagar thought, wishing to laugh and cry at the same time. Just practice.

When he lifted his glance, he saw the silhouette of Lord Zigûr looming over the King’s shoulder. To his shock, he saw approval in the demon’s eyes, and a proud smile on his lips. The fact that this was a twisted mockery of what a much younger Gimilzagar had hoped to see in his father’s eyes made it even more horrible than it already was.

There. It was not so hard this time, was it?

The death of this man, chosen as the first victim, was meant to be the signal for the beginning of the ritual. As soon as his body was consumed by the flames, the other altars surrounding them would start their own activity, but before this, the King had to make his long-awaited speech. While Lord Zigûr poured the blood and threw the corpse into the fire with a prayer, Ar Pharazôn advanced towards the edge of the platform, and beckoned Gimilzagar to stand by his side. The ultimate humiliation, the Prince thought, to be next to his father while he announced his plans for immortality.

The crowd had been praying in unison until now, their chant loud and monotonous like the breaking of the waves. When they saw them, however, an almost religious silence fell upon the rows of courtiers, their retinues, and the commoners who pressed behind them hoping for a glimpse of what was happening. All the eyes were fixed upon the figure of Ar Pharazôn, who looked more golden than ever in his bright armour and his royal purple. The mysterious, unchanging quality of his features brought nostalgic memories to the oldest in the audience, of a young and bold general whose victories had made the rest of Númenor believe that anything was possible. Next to this perfect image of beauty, strength and confidence, Gimilzagar would look more despicable and ungainly than ever. And yet, the Prince could not envy the man who stood by his side, and the very idea of being like him brought nothing but nausea.

“People of Númenor!” the King spoke, in a strong voice. “In the last years, we have claimed ownership of the world through the strength of our arms and the power of our great civilization. We have ruled Middle-Earth from the Western shores to the farthest East, enjoyed the fruit of our conquests, grown wealthy beyond our most audacious dreams! We have broken free from the ghastly grip of many fears which assail the peoples of darkness: the fear of our children succumbing to the sword of our enemies, the fear of poverty, of starvation and slavery. There is only one dark stain in the happiness of our kingdom: that we still grow old and sick, and eventually die. This was a curse inflicted upon us by the Baalim at the beginning of time, for they did not wish us to grow into our own and challenge them. But now, people of Númenor, the time has come for this to change, for the curse to end, and for our power and happiness to be absolute! And this will not happen through prayer and abasement, because no god on Earth or Heaven will end this curse for us. What master surrenders his dominion willingly? If we wish to rule the world as gods, we will have to wrestle the gift of eternal life from their hands through war, expel them from their Blessed Realm, and conquer it for ourselves. And this is a feat that I, alone among all the kings of our people, am willing to attempt. I will build the greatest armada the world has ever seen, here in this shipyard where we now stand. I will fill it with soldiers and rowers, and I will invade the kingdom of the Baalim. I will swear an oath never to rest, never to turn back, never to let fear, discouragement or blind superstition have the better of me before I have attained my goal! But I will need the Island to stand behind me, in body and soul. So I ask you now, people of Númenor, are you with me?”

The audience was enthralled by the King’s words, Gimilzagar had to admit, but everyone in the front rows was a courtier, and their enthusiastic clapping was a survival skill they had learned early in their lives. Perhaps others would not be so keen on this, he thought, clutching at straws.

All of a sudden, while he was still in the middle of this thought, Gimilzagar had a premonition, a horrible feeling that made the hairs of his neck stand on end. As he was still trying to recover from it, he saw the sky light up with an eerie bright flare, and his ears exploded with a deafening noise. A strong smell of charred meat reached his nostrils, and he turned back in shock to see the blackened corpse of the priest who had stood at a short distance from him. Someone screamed, but he heard it from a great distance, as if his eardrums had stopped working. Trying to break out from the paralyzing terror, he looked at the crowd, and saw them panicking, pushing others in their urge to flee while another bolt of lightning fell upon one of the farthest altars, and then another on one of the boats moored in the channels, causing it to explode in flames. He looked for Fíriel, but he could not find her, and this was so terrible that he could not find it in himself to care for his own safety. Please, gods of the West, she is one of yours, he muttered, not even knowing if anyone could hear him. Do not kill her.

Meanwhile, next to him, Ar Pharazôn had stayed still for a moment, for once in his life unsure of how to proceed. But soon, Lord Zigûr had advanced towards him, taken his hand in his, and whispered words in his ear. Gimilzagar could not hear those, either, but whatever it was that the demon had said, it seemed to restore the King’s courage. His eyes gleaming with a furious, fell light, he glared at the sky in defiance.

“So the Baalim think they can turn us away from our path with a conjurer’s trick! So they think we are still the superstitious, easily frightened barbarians we used to be when the world was new, and they visited their curses on us. But I say, no more of this! No more!” Mesmerized, many among the panicking people had stopped their flight to listen to him, to stare in wonder at the proud silhouette set against the flashes of lightning, unconcerned about his own safety. “They have struck first. The next blow shall be ours!”

First, the words were met by a hesitant silence, as the crowd seemed to wait in trepidation for the next blow to fall. But it did not, and when Gimilzagar’s recovering ears could finally hear a deep rumble, it was not coming from the sky, but from the crowd. They roared their approval at the King’s words, no longer as a courtier would applaud a King’s eccentricities, but as a people who had felt threatened in their own homeland by an evil enemy whose destruction they suddenly wished more than anything in the world. He reeled back in dismay. What had the Baalim done?

The thunderbolts were slowly but steadily receding into the distance, leaving the battleground to a steady downpour of rain. Ar Zimraphel had remained in position; when the confusion around her cleared, Gimilzagar could see that she was holding someone in a protective embrace. It was Fíriel, and as soon as he recognized her, his throat unclenched a little.

“And what do we do about this?” Ar Pharazôn had recovered his composure in appearance, but there was still an edge of tension in his voice as he walked around the dead priest and pointed at the extinguished altar. “We cannot simply stop the ceremony now without it looking like defeat.”

“Indeed not, my lord King. That would be very inadvisable under the present circumstances.”

In the end, the King and Lord Zigûr came up with a plan to send a message to the Baalim, conveying the unshakeable nature of their resolve. The plan involved butchering all their victims as it had been originally planned, and then loading them in boats to be sent West with the current. If they were proper gods, Gimilzagar doubted very much that they would allow a thousand rotting corpses to find their way into their realm. After tonight, however, he found himself doubting more than ever that those beings that Fíriel’s people so revered were anything like proper gods. Though he hated to admit that Zigûr or his father could be right about anything, he was starting to envision them as the erratic, frightened beings of the King’s speeches, afraid of being challenged, yet powerless to prevent it. For a true god would have struck down Zigûr, Ar Pharazôn and his abomination of a son, not hapless priests who had just followed orders, or random people who gathered to listen to his words. Or perhaps he would have sunk the entire shipyard beneath the waves with everyone on it, as in that recurring dream that Gimilzagar had years ago. Whatever his preferred course of action had been, he would have put a stop to this here and now, not shown a million people that his enemy was able to survive his attack and laugh at him afterwards.

Later in the night, as Gimilzagar was finally able to retreat from the altar with the images of blood and carnage still etched in his memory, he found himself wondering, for the first time, what an immortal King of Númenor would mean for the world.

 

 

The Prince and the King

Read The Prince and the King

The Court was badly shaken by the events which had taken place during the consecration ceremony. Though every conversation died whenever people noticed his presence, Gimilzagar knew that none of those high lords and ladies had ever been so close to mortal peril, and that the experience had upset them considerably. Most were furious at the evil spirits of the West for the audacity of their attack on the soil of the Island, and strenuously argued in favour of returning the blow multiplied by a tenfold, to show the Baalim that the men of Númenor did not fear them. Deep inside, however, they were afraid, and when they spoke of retribution not a single one of them was planning to be part of the expedition. The King and his brave soldiers would do so in their stead, while they sat behind thick stone walls, protected from the wrath of the elements, and awaited their triumphal return. And a minority was simply scared out of their wits, wishing for nothing else than for the King to give up on his sacrilegious plans of making war on gods. Gimilzagar wondered briefly whether it could be worth the risk to approach those, but they were too weak, too scattered, and too few –and Zigûr had surely spotted them all by now.

As he made his way through the large building where most of the women, and quite a number of men, had retreated as soon as protocol allowed them to disperse, Gimilzagar had only one real purpose left: to find Ar Zimraphel’s chambers. He knew that Fíriel would be there, and he needed to feel her body against his to close the gaping hole in his chest that even now was threatening to swallow everything. Ar Pharazôn had spoken true: Fíriel kept him tethered to this world just as much as Zigûr’s sacrifices. As long as she was there, he could not give up, cut the thin strings that kept him tied to this existence, and throw her to the many wolves awaiting their chance to tear her apart.

Still, before he reached his destination, the Prince of the West found himself intercepted by one of the last people that he wanted to see. He had barely spotted her elaborately embroidered dress, and the glow of the silver and gems crowning her head and hanging from her neck, when she called his name in a sing-song voice, and her arms encircled his body like a trap springing upon some unfortunate hare in the woods.

“Praised be the Deliverer! You are safe!” the Lady Valeria crooned, burying her face in his neck. “The first bolt of lightning fell so close to you that I thought… I thought….!”

“I am entirely unharmed, Lady Valeria”, he replied, as soon as there was enough air in his lungs to do so.

“Oh, I have been so scared tonight! I thought that we were all going to die, and my greatest fear was that we would be s-separated by Eternal Darkness and you w-would remain f-forever unaware of my f-feelings for you!” Her voice grew heavy first, then began shaking with barely repressed sobs. Gimilzagar could feel her mind brimming with disorderly thoughts and emotions, but grief and fear at the thunderstorm were not dominant among them. She was desperate, aware that she would never get what she wanted by playing her role discreetly and waiting for the world to rearrange itself around her, as it had always happened back home in Arne. Fíriel was not going away, other, younger beauties kept coming, and though the Court was fond of her, the Queen had not moved a finger to protect her, but chose to hold to that disgusting peasant whore instead. Unless she changed her strategy, if a bolt of lightning did not kill her, the Queen and her little protégé soon would, just as they had killed her predecessor.

Gimilzagar sighed. He did not have time for this.

“Do not worry, Valeria” he said, tightening his own embrace a little before he let go of her. “I promise I will not let anyone harm you, or rob you of your rightful place in the Court. But please understand that I can only do this if you are careful. If you make a foolish choice like she did, I will not be able to save you.”

Shock caused her grip to relax, and taking advantage from this he extricated himself from it. She did not call him back, but suddenly he did not feel free to proceed in his quest to assuage his own demons. His brush with the Arnian’s mind had reminded him that he had responsibilities towards other people, people who might not even know very well what was happening and could be working themselves into a dangerous panic.

As he set out towards Rini’s quarters, he was further surprised to find Khelened in the corridor. As always, the Khandian looked at him as if he was some sort of disgusting creature that her tribe would not even bother to hunt for meat, but he was used to this by now. He knew that it was nothing personal, just some barbarian defence mechanism of hers. In her world, anyone who fell in the hands of the enemy and did not look at them in this manner would have their throats slit and their blood drunk, while those who did would be respected and spared. Whether they chose to feign love or contempt, in the end, they all wanted the same thing.

“She is fine”, she announced calmly, as if she was talking about the weather. Her row of white teeth contrasted sharply with the darkness of her skin. “Less fine after you come in. But I already told her you had survived, so her disappointment will not be so great when she sees you.”

Gimilzagar found the idea of this woman going to check on Rini so ludicrously strange, that for a moment he did not even know how to react. Khelened had always ignored Fíriel –who was Gimilzagar’s soulmate and therefore a part of him-, and she had never bothered to hide her profound contempt for Valeria and her cowardly schemes. A barbarian from the opposite edge of the world, who had to speak through an interpreter, and who was as thoroughly ignorant of Khandian codes of conduct and defence mechanisms as she was of Númenórean ones did not seem like the most obvious candidate for this woman’s first attempt to make a connection with someone.

“Thank you for the information, Lady Khelened”, he nodded, courteously. “And I am glad you are unharmed, as well.”

The woman hissed a curse in her native language, as if to ward herself from the intolerable assault of Gimilzagar’s politeness. He shrugged. Once upon a time, he had tried to imitate her tone of hostility to address her, just because he thought that she might appreciate it, but it sounded so ridiculous when coming from his lips that he gave up soon enough.

When he was finally announced into Lady Rini’s chamber, he found her surrounded by her Northern servants. Her magnificent blue eyes met his for a moment, then looked down, as if fearful that he would try to use the eye contact to play some devilish trick on her mind. Next to her, the young male barbarian clenched his fists, suddenly reminding Gimilzagar of her earlier determination to find a way to assassinate him. There were guards outside, but perhaps it had been a little imprudent to enter a private room without an escort. Fortunately, none of them had weapons, and Hazin at least was loyal to him. The more Gimilzagar learned about what had been done to him in the past, the more he was certain that he would do anything to cling to his new, painless existence.

“I come to check on the Lady Rini, and to offer her reassurance that the danger is over, and that she can rest safely tonight.”

Hazin raised his gaze a little from the ground to listen attentively to Rini’s response –which, even to Gimilzagar’s ignorant ears, sounded rather like a question.

“The Lady Rini wishes to know why you claimed that she was sick and could not attend the ceremony.”

The Prince had to admit that he had not been expecting this. He blinked, wondering what to say.

“Tell the Lady Rini that… well, that I thought she might find the spectacle too upsetting. But if I was wrong and she wished to attend, I will be sure to keep it in mind for the next time.”

The way she looked at the interpreter as he translated those words was rather aggressive. Perhaps Khelened had been teaching her some things in her visit.

“She says that no Númenórean…” Hazin’s trust that nothing he translated would be used against him had advanced in leaps and bounds since the first days, but sometimes he still hesitated. “That no Númenórean cared that she might find the deaths of her own kin upsetting. So why would you worry that she might feel uncomfortable witnessing the death of strangers? They are nothing to her.”

Right. Gimilzagar took a very, very long intake of breath.

“It could have brought back memories. Or she might have misunderstood the situation. Back in the Cave of the Forbidden Bay, Fíriel told me that she was scared to see priests.” Why was he even trying to justify himself, for doing what he thought was right? It sounded childish to his own ears.

“That was before. But now she has someone – that is, me, to explain things to her. And she already knows you are saving her for something else.”

“I am not saving her for something else!”

Hazin looked immediately troubled, and Gimilzagar knew it was because of his tone.

“Please, my lord prince, do not be angry at me”, he bowed, trying in vain to keep his hands from shaking. Some conditionings were just too hard to shake off, he thought, and as he did, he realized it was even more true in her case. “But- but she does not believe you. She would not be alive if you were not saving her for something. She would be dead or a slave, like her kin and her people.”

For a moment, Gimilzagar saw his father’s face in his mind’s eye, and the challenging look with which he had ordered him to hold the captive’s shoulders against the stone slab. He shuddered, suddenly too tired to even think. What was the point, anyway?

“Tell her that she is here for no reason other than the King thinking it would be a good idea to punish me for loving the wrong woman. Tell her that she is worth so little to him that he does not care a damn for whether she lives or dies, and that, if her eyes had been less pretty, she would be a pile of ashes now. But instead of that, she was brought here, and she was made my responsibility. And this, I can guarantee, is the only reason why I travelled so many miles to find her an interpreter and company, why I had her stay in this room while awful things happened outside, and why I am here now, inquiring as to her wellbeing.”

Hazin’s eyes were wide; his voice as quiet as a whisper as he resigned himself to conveying the woman’s answer.

“The lady Rini asks if she needs to be grateful for this.”

Gimilzagar wondered why he had allowed her to make him upset; if it was anger or shame what he was feeling, even if she was the real target of whatever it was that drove him at the moment. But focusing solely on Hazin had the virtue of calming him, as everything inside that mind was silently begging him to do so, unaware that Gimilzagar could hear the thoughts as loud and clear as if they were being screamed at him.

“No, of course not. Tell her to see it as restitution for the wrongs done to her family. Perhaps this way she will accept it, and save me the trouble of more pointless arguments.”

This did not elicit much reaction from the woman, who just stared morosely at the floor and remained silent. As Gimilzagar was already turning away, however, he heard her speak again, and Hazin’s louder voice stopped him in his tracks.

“My lord prince, my lady wishes to know if the Lady Fíriel is well.”

The Prince’s eyes widened, but for the first time since he entered this room, he felt a tiny gust of warmth entering his chest. He nodded.

“Yes, Hazin. Tell her that she is well.”

By the time he left her room, the ruckus had largely subsided outside, and most of the courtiers had been divided in smaller groups, or left the halls and corridors to take a well-deserved rest after the strong emotions of tonight. Now, he could finally go and see Fíriel, and no one would stand in their way anymore, he thought hopefully.

But even before the anticipation had fully blossomed in his mind, the sudden sight of the Chamberlain waiting for him in the corridor put an abrupt end to it. He raised his glance, doing his best to compose his features in a dignified expression so he could meet him properly.

“Greetings, Lord Chamberlain. Were you looking for me?”

“Yes, my lord prince”, the man answered with a bow. “The King is back in his chambers, and he wishes to see you.”

Gimilzagar’s heart sank.

 

*      *      *      *      *      *

 

Ar Pharazôn the Golden was cleaning his face and hands when Gimilzagar’s arrival was announced. He must have been at it for a while, because the water inside the silver basin he was using had acquired such a deep tinge of red that it almost looked as if he was washing himself with blood. As Gimilzagar waited by the threshold, hesitant to walk in, the King noticed his presence, and the way he was staring at his endeavours. He put the water away with a disgusted look, as if he had just realized what was wrong with it, and ordered a clean basin to be brought.

“Come closer”, he told Gimilzagar. “You can hold the basin for me, and then we can speak in private.”

The Prince advanced rather slowly, studying his surroundings. Lord Zigûr was not there, at least, which relieved him a little. He was probably still outside, supervising the last stages of the slaughter, which would continue to take place over increasingly slippery surfaces even after the public was gone. Gods did not grow tired.

When the basin was brought in, Gimilzagar took it in his own hands and approached Ar Pharazôn. There was something unreal in standing this close to a man who had been avoiding him for years, or so he could not help but think. Unreal and ominous, his mind supplied, remembering what had transpired mere hours ago under the stormy skies. Suddenly self-conscious, he wondered where to look, if at the water, which soon began growing red again as the King splashed it over his face, at the soiled clothes, or directly at the man himself. It was so long since he had done this, that it felt as if it was the first time he saw things which must have been so familiar to him once: the sharply chiselled nose, the thick, dark eyebrows contrasting with the golden sheen of his forehead, the curls falling in a graceful way that Gimilzagar’s own hair had never been able to replicate; the arrogant hazel eyes, which seemed clouded by an unspoken trouble. There were still no wrinkles on his face, preserved in the full splendour of his youth by a magic more powerful than the craft of any embalmer, except for a solitary crease on his forehead that told the Prince that he was deep in thought.

“Stay still.” Involuntarily, Gimilzagar had stepped back as a few drops of bloody water spattered on his cheek. “It is only blood. You have seen much worse - and risked worse, I daresay.”

He was not only thinking of the lightning bolt which killed that unfortunate priest who stood beside him, the Prince realized. Before that, his fate had been in the balance somehow, but in the end he had escaped unscathed – if one could use the word “unscathed” after being forced to lean over an altar to be the accessory of a murder, and having a man’s mind brush against his in the death throes of his agony.  Still, he knew it now, with such certainty that it almost felt as if the King’s thoughts had invaded his instead of the other way around. It could have been worse.

“It could have been Fíriel” he said aloud, seized by this same impulse. Ar Pharazôn paused briefly in his endeavours, and stared at him in shock. The emotion, however, was brief, for he had already grown accustomed to this kind of sorcery.

“Once again, you have your mother to thank for that” he snorted, putting his fingers into the water and realizing that it was as red as the previous basin. “Oh, just bring me a towel and let us get this over with! I will wash more thoroughly later.”

Numbly, Gimilzagar took the basin away, and did as he was asked, though his mind could not stop racing with the implications of everything he had seen in the last moments.

“My lord King, please believe me when I say that Fíriel has never, ever, harboured the slightest disloyal or treacherous thought….”

“Normally, I would say that you cannot know what people hide in the innermost depths of their minds. But you can, can’t you? Unfortunately, you did not inherit this trait from me, so I cannot prove your words either true or false, and you have too many reasons to lie to me.”

“My lord, I swear…”

“Be quiet! I have no need for your oaths. I do not have uncanny powers, but I am not defenceless. As a leader of men, I needed to develop my own brand of insight soon enough in my life.” Wrapping the towel over his head, Ar Pharazôn began wiping it energetically. It was a while until he emerged from under its folds again; almost all the blood was now gone. “I detest Amandil’s little bastard, and I would gladly have cut her throat upon that altar, I admit it. But I have also come to realize that she was not the true reason why you tried to defy me in Andúnië. It is you, Gimilzagar. You wanted to show me, to get my attention, and you would not have stopped until you had it, in one way or another. Well, you have it now. So if you wish to speak your mind, this is the moment to do so.”

Gimilzagar blinked, pondering what to answer. A part of him was wary of this being some sort of trap, designed to make him betray himself. And even if it was not, he thought, what good could his words possibly do at this point? In the last years he had been chasing after shadows in mounting frustration, wishing he could have an opportunity such as this. But now that he finally had it, after been made to undergo an ordeal in the process, he could not be more aware of how futile it all was. After everything that had transpired today, how could he think he would ever convince his father to break his pledge before the whole Island, swallow his pride, and just back away from his designs? It was simply unthinkable –an impossible.

In the end, ironically enough, it was those disheartening thoughts what made him reckless enough to open his mouth. And once he did, he found he was unable to remember the prudent turns of phrase that he had painstakingly perfected over the years.

“My lord King, I think you should desist from this dangerous project of making war on the gods to achieve immortality. I am… afraid for you, for Númenor, and for the world. If you fail, you will not come back alive, and the Island will never recover from the devastating effects of this war.” He was fast, forcing the words to come out as fast as possible before he could be interrupted. “And if you win, I am concerned about what you will become.”

The King, however, did not look angry at all. He heard him in appraising silence, as if he was listening to a report from one of his generals. After Gimilzagar fell silent, he nodded.

“Noted. Anything else?”

The recklessness grew even greater, fuelled by this strange quiet.

“Yes. I wish you would stop forcing unfortunate women to marry me. I will never love any of them, and you know it.”

The King dropped the towel to the floor, where the red of the bloodstains contrasted sharply with the blue and white tiles. Then, his lips curved into a smile, and, slowly, Gimilzagar grew aware of the truth. His father had realized where all his recklessness came from, the despair, the terrible impotence that lay underneath. And, like a general who watched his starved enemies break the siege for a last, desperate charge, he had known that he had nothing to fear from him as a player. In this twisted, paranoid battle he was waging, only a cautious Gimilzagar would have been deemed a worthy foe - an outspoken Gimilzagar meant nothing.

“I am afraid I cannot grant your first request” Ar Pharazôn replied. “As for the second, perhaps we could reach an agreement.” He sat on a chair, grabbing a cup from the nearby table and filling it with wine from a silver jar. “If you keep one of them, I will consider that you have made your choice, and out of respect for it, there will be no more women.”

Gimilzagar felt the anger course through his veins again, and refused the invitation to sit.

“I assume Fíriel cannot be my choice.”

“Of course not. The Prince of the West cannot marry a peasant’s bastard.”

“And yet he can marry the daughter of a cannibal.”

“Cannibals have their own royalty, too,” Pharazôn retorted, drinking from the wine.  “But if that is too distasteful to you, you are also free to choose a Númenórean lady of higher lineage than the one who warms your bed now.”

“Fíriel has the blood of Indilzar running through her veins, Father. She is high-born enough!”

“That might have been true once. Now, the house of Andúnië is a house of exiles, whose loyalty for my declared enemies is stronger than their loyalty for the Sceptre. I will never become allied to them by marriage, and allow them to add yet another cloak of respectability to their treason. Your great-grandfather already did that, and he bitterly lamented it when the snake he had fondled bit him in the hand. How much of a fool would I have to be to imitate his example?” He downed the cup quite fast, despite the fact that the wine was undiluted. “Fíriel is not good for you. She may even love you sincerely, as sincerely as her father ever called himself my friend, but you are a fool if you think that she will be any more successful in forgetting the ties that bind her to her family and her people than he was. And they do not like you. No matter how many of them you try to save, they will always believe, deep down, that you do not have the right to live. If you ever lived in a world ruled by them, they would kill you without a second thought.”

“They would let me die.”

“What?” For the first time in a long while, Pharazôn appeared genuinely shocked at his words. Gimilzagar did not back down.

“They would not kill me. They would let me die. It is not the same thing” he explained, the words leaving his mouth as if a vengeful god was using his body as a puppet. “The first thing would be a crime. The second would follow the laws of Nature.”

The King put the cup down with a sharp noise, and gazed at Gimilzagar.

“I see” he said, simply. “Well, I suppose that is one way of looking at it.”

For a moment, the Prince tried to perceive his father’s thoughts again, but there was nothing in that mind anymore, except a cold, black void that made him flinch instinctively, as if he had come face to face with a corpse. Then, suddenly, instinct kicked in, and he began to feel afraid.

“That is a way of looking at it, indeed,” Pharazôn continued, his voice eerily calm once more. “Bringing you to life was a mistake; keeping you alive, a sin, and I am an evil man because of it. The fault is all mine, for selling my soul to a demon, while you would rather be dead to spare those poor people. But for all those years, and indeed even now, I have been a mortal, you have been my heir, and I have needed to keep you alive for the sake of Númenor and the Sceptre. You had no say in it, and no responsibility, which left you with the freedom to blame me. Isn’t that rather convenient?”

The Prince of the West felt his heart sink again.

“My lord King, I do not…”

“Why do you look so wary? Someone who thinks so little of his own life should not know fear. You are alive only because I have forced you to live, aren’t you? If I become immortal, if I am no longer in need of heirs, you could finally dispose of your own fate, and be righteous in the eyes of your Baalim-worshipping friends.” His lips curved into a mirthless, yet savage grin. “Wouldn’t you like that, for your life to be in your hands alone? To be able to let yourself die, and turn from abomination to marthyr. Or perhaps when the time came, you would realize that you love life too much, after all. That you wish to fight for it, and leave the inconvenient self-righteousness behind. Would you be able to pick your prisoners, lead them to the altar, and sacrifice them with your own hands? Oh, I think you would. After all, we both know by now that you can kill, just as well as I do, or better. By the Deliverer, you can even make them offer themselves to the knife willingly, like Zigûr does!”

Gimilzagar felt the blood leave his face, and his heart beat swiftly against his chest. Whatever defiance he had been able to muster for this conversation was now gone, together with the vengeful god who had spoken through his mouth, leaving only the scared little boy he had been once.

“There is no need to look so pale. This is all mere speculation”, Ar Pharazôn reassured him. “Idle speculation, so far, for there is still a war to be fought, battles to be won, immortality to be conquered. But if you feel so attached to your own existence as to fear for it, perhaps you should cease blaming me for keeping you alive. Do you not think so, Gimilzagar?”

The Prince shuddered, unable to make a reply.

“Well! You look tired, and it is quite late.” The King stood up from his seat, his voice no longer cold. “You may retire, if you wish to do so. After all, I think we have both had our say by now.”

 “Yes, my lord King.” His own voice was much smaller than he remembered it. “I will… retire.”

“There is also four women you can bed, if you would prefer to take your mind off things”, Ar Pharazôn called after him as he made to depart. His father’s voice was friendly again, the same voice he used to banter with his generals, but Gimilzagar did not even register it. Numbly, he bowed at the threshold, and left the King’s chambers without speaking another word.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The sword drew an arc in the air, and fell on the ground of Abanazer’s backyard with a clatter.  Tal Elmar looked just a little embarrassed as he headed to retrieve it.

“I sorry”, he claimed, picking it up and returning towards Isildur. “It happen again.”

“That was pathetic!” Isildur’s frustration grew fast enough these days, but today the motives were multiplying at such speed that he could barely find the strength to keep up. “Are you people entirely useless in one-on-one combat, or what? When a warrior comes at you and tries to deal a blow, you do not duck, you do not hide and you do not flee, you block and parry it! And for that you need a proper grip!”

“That not how we do it”, Tal Elmar grumbled mulishly. Isildur fell back into his stance.

“I do not care how the Forest People do it. You are in Númenórean territory now!”

“And your enemies come at me with many swords. And then I learn proper combat and they all afraid.” Tal Elmar’s sarcasm struck a nerve.

“Listen to me, Tal Elmar”, he hissed, trying to keep his composure. “I cannot take you back to Agar with me because of your brothers. And if you stay here, you are a target.”

“A target why?” the young barbarian quickly seized the opportunity to ask. In the last days, Isildur’s changing moods and wavering dispositions had left him bewildered, and though he had pretended to play along with it, it was clear that he wanted answers. He wanted to know why it was suddenly so dangerous to stay in Pelargir with Abanazer, why Isildur insisted on training him from dawn till dusk, and probably also why he was so short-tempered. The son of Elendil had not told him anything, because he had no idea of how he could ever explain what had transpired with the Magistrate’s nephew, and much less the unspeakable thoughts which agitated his mind since that day. Instead, he had come up with the idea of teaching him combat, but his delusions of turning Tal Elmar into a killing machine who could successfully evade all the mercenaries in Pelargir were nothing but a desperate way to feel as if he was in control of something. Worse, the opinionated young man, usually so ready to prove himself and take on any challenge, had guessed that there were ulterior motives to all this that he was not being told, and reacted to it by performing poorly- Isildur suspected that on purpose.

But the worst of all was how the long hours of fencing, the sweat and the sight of naked limbs was affecting Isildur, to the point that the frustration at the young man’s lack of progress was constantly threatening to turn into something else, which he found too terrifying to contemplate. He was on a perpetual state of confusion those days, not knowing where to direct his feelings so he could successfully evade those deep waters. If Malik was here, he would have exorcised this by fighting him, but the ghost had stayed gone since that day, to punish him for his flight of temper –Isildur refused to think of any other possibility-, and he had found himself with no one to turn to. He had never been so lost, so alone, since the fateful night when he stole the fruit of Nimloth in Armenelos and his childhood friend died.

“A target for all those who are my enemies, but will not act openly. And now let us try again”, he replied, in a tone of voice that would have deterred anyone from asking more questions. Tal Elmar, however, ignored it utterly.

“Why they attack me? I not known in Númenor. Not important.”

“You are kin to a reputed chieftain of Agar, ally of the Númenóreans”, Isildur replied. But this answer did not fool the barbarian any more than it had fooled the merchant.

“Eldest Brother wants me dead. That is no good reason.”

“You talk too much, and fight too little”, Isildur retorted, advancing towards him with his training sword in hand. As he did so, he surprised a gleam in Tal Elmar’s eye that had not been there before. With a little more ferocity than what was warranted by a mere training fight, Isildur struck at his opponent, who once again ducked from the blow. “And… stop…. ducking!”

He chased Tal Elmar all the way across the training ground, while the young man -remarkably agile, he had to admit-   evaded all his thrusts. As he did so, his lips began curving into a self-satisfied smirk, and suddenly Isildur wanted nothing more than to wipe it off his features.

That occasion presented itself when they were already near the kitchen stairs, and a crack in the ground made the young barbarian trip and fall. The son of Elendil immediately loomed over him, but instead of looking defeated, Tal Elmar just gave a critical look to the sword he was still holding and dropped it to the floor.

“Not much use” he claimed. “You kill me anyway.”

“It might have been harder if you had known how to use it.” Isildur leaned over the young man to deliver the mock death-blow. As he did so, in a very fast movement, Tal Elmar produced a small knife from his left palm, which rested a mere inch away from stabbing Isildur’s foot.

“But I distract you, and this poisoned. So you dead too” he declared. “Perhaps so much in pain that blow misses, and I escape. But you never escape. So, I win.”

Isildur stared at the knife, incredulous.

“You, little…!” Unable to find a way to finish the sentence accordingly, he let go of his sword, and grabbed Tal Elmar’s wrist until he forced it away from his foot. Then, he twisted the arm until the blade was at Tal Elmar’s own throat. “There is no poison in this world fast enough to prevent me from doing this to anyone who pulled…”

All of a sudden, he grew aware of the contact between the two bodies, and his voice died abruptly. An uncomfortable heat had gathered in his groin, and he tore himself apart from the barbarian as if his skin had the ability to burn him, though not before he was betrayed by the visible signs of his arousal. For a while, he sat on the floor, pretending to be catching his breath after his exertions but, in truth, just unable to say a word. Tal Elmar did not say anything, either, until the silence grew so unbearable that the Númenórean warrior experienced an almost physical need to escape it.

You were right, you son of a bitch, he wanted to cry to an invisible, silent Malik. Are you happy now?

Finally, it was Tal Elmar who reacted first. He sat on his haunches, gazing at Isildur as if all the pieces of his world had clicked together and everything made sense.

“So this is reason why your enemies go after me” he said. “Why you not say it before?”

This could not be real, a part of Isildur was repeating inside his mind. This had to be a dream. Or a nightmare.

“What do you mean by this?” he asked, in a voice that seemed to belong to somebody else. Tal Elmar was not taken aback by the question.

“You want me as…” His voice trailed away, but not in embarrassment; rather as if he was trying in vain to rack his brains for an Adûnaic word he did not know –probably because it did not exist. “You know, when a warrior chooses a younger man, and the young man has to share his fire, and lie with him…”

Isildur looked at him in incredulity.

“Is this what you do in your tribe?” After all his years in the North, he had no idea that such a thing existed. Perhaps Anárion would shake his head at him for not paying more attention. Right before he stared at him in disgust. “To pick men to… act as women?”

“What? No!” Tal Elmar shook his head, scandalized. “Women are… not like men. They different. They… take seed into belly and make babies.”

Wherever Malik was now, he was probably rolling over the floor in laughter.

“I am a married man, Tal Elmar. I know that. As a matter of fact, I already knew that back when your grandfather Buldar was alive and a hero of your people. I…” This was insane. “The Númenóreans do not have that custom.” And the fact that those who did were a bunch of savages, whom the Elves called People of Darkness because of their ancient corruption by the Dark Lord, was not exactly a great endorsement.

“Oh.” Tal Elmar seemed surprised at first, then thoughtful. “Then, I do not understand.”

“There is nothing to understand.” He had to stop this, now, before the current carried him too far and he was unable to find his way back to the shore. “This was only a mistake, a…an accident, which will not be repeated.” The next words were even more difficult to utter, but he knew that he had to. “And you will not remain in Pelargir without me. It is too dangerous. I will leave instructions to Abanazer to put you in his next ship heading for the Island, where my family will take care of you until my return.” That would put an end not only to the plotting of the Merchant Princes, but also to any temptation Isildur might have to ignore the customs of Númenor in those distant shores.

Still, as he stood up, he found that some vile part of him was feeling disappointed that Tal Elmar would not wish to argue this. But why would he? He had simply told Isildur that his people had this shocking custom, not that he would have appreciated to be subject to his… attentions in any way. The way he had described it, in fact, it rather sounded like a process where the ‘younger warrior’ did not have much of a say. It had probably been a relief for him to know that, in Númenor, this sort of abasement was entirely off the cards. Which was one of the advantages of civilization.

“I would not mind”, a voice stopped him in his tracks, and his heart froze.

“What do you mean?” he asked, unwilling to invite any more misunderstandings in a situation which was already embarrassing on its own merits. Tal Elmar struggled to his own feet, and fumbled to pick up the hated training swords.

“You. Choosing me. You are high ranked. Rich. Good warrior. Good looking, though not in the way of Agar. And you always very good to me” he enumerated, as if he was a maiden enumerating the good qualities of her prospective husband –minus the coyness that a Númenórean maiden would at least have known how to feign.

Some figment of Isildur’s deep disarray must have grown apparent in his features, because, for once in his life, Tal Elmar looked sincerely apologetic.

“I am sorry. I do not know Númenórean customs, just customs of Agar”, he sighed. “But I learn. I make great effort and become good Númenórean, as I swore my father.”

Isildur looked away from him, pretending to be very interested in the woman who had just stepped out from the kitchen to release the chickens from their cage.

“And I wish you good luck with your endeavours.” Better luck than mine, anyway, was a coda which he left unsaid. “I will write a letter for you to give to my family, explaining who you are and the reasons for your presence among them.”

“I can explain. My Númenórean much better now”, Tal Elmar argued, following him. Isildur snorted.

“You could be a fountain of eloquence, but I still would not trust anyone other than myself to explain your situation to my family.” Little by little, as he grabbed at the lifeline of normal conversation, the paralyzing shame and the agonizing doubt were subsiding, and he began feeling a little more like himself.

Congratulations, Isildur, a familiar voice, which he had not heard in days, whispered in his ear. You defeated temptation. Now, you can go back to your happy, productive, and peaceful life.

For the rest of the day, Isildur did indeed feel productive. He did not only finish recruiting, but also undertook most of the preparations for his departure, spoke to Abanazer and wrote the long letter for Tal Elmar, where he conveniently omitted any mention to the exact nature of his fear for the Magistrate’s actions. And yet, when he finally put out the lamp and lay on his bed at night, he could not find sleep, and deep inside he wondered if he ever would.

 

A Dark Future

Read A Dark Future

After the worst of the storm had abated, the Queen began ushering her gently but firmly towards the gates of the main building. A part of her was grateful for this, so grateful that her heart could have burst, but another part did not wish to leave Gimilzagar alone in that horrible altar, a target for his father’s cruelty and the wrath of the Valar. In the end, only Ar Zimraphel’s assurances that he would not be harmed were strong enough to tear her from that place. As she followed in the Queen’s footsteps, so did the rest of the ladies, including Valeria, who had dropped her perfect façade and looked more distraught than ever, and Khelened, who gazed at the sky with a frown that seemed to be daring Heaven to do better. She looked more alive than she had since she first set foot on the Palace of Armenelos, her eyes gleaming with a fell light and her cheeks flushed. While she watched her, Fíriel had the sudden, uncomfortable thought that she might have been praying for the lightning to strike the Prince of the West.

Those musings came to an abrupt end as the sounds of an argument reached her ears from her immediate vicinity. Focusing on her surroundings, she realized that the querulous voice belonged to the Lady Valeria, and that she was pointing at Fíriel.

“… and I refuse to be in the same room as her!” she said. “This… this commoner has been usurping a place that does not belong to her for far too long now, and I have stayed silent, smiling through her every insolence. But that is enough! I will have no more of it!”

Ar Zimraphel laughed. Her laughter was cold, and gave Fíriel chills.

“Commoner? Usurping? Insolence? Oh, I am afraid that you misunderstand many things, girl. You are but a short-lived barbarian, whose beauty will only last a day. You are here to serve as a brief distraction, a charming pet, but soon you will grow old and die, and Fíriel and Gimilzagar will not even remember that you existed.” She traced a finger down Valeria’s livid forehead, a movement Fíriel was familiar with, and which had also disturbed her at the beginning of their acquaintance. “But while you are still here among us, I advise you not to forget your place again. And do not make these faces, for I hear that the skin wrinkles easily among those of your kind.”

A deathly silence fell across the corridor, as every woman stopped on their tracks to witness this scene. Suddenly, Valeria tore herself away, and Fíriel could hear the unmistakeable sound of a choked sob while she stormed off. A dull rumour erupted all over their surroundings, which the Queen had to quench with a severe look.

“Come, Fíriel” she said, holding out her hand. More unwilling than ever to cross her, the young woman took it and allowed herself to be led to the Queen’s chambers.

“Do not pity her”, Ar Zimraphel admonished. “She despises you with every fibre of her being. And she is not the only one. If I was not here to protect you, you would be dead by now. Never forget that.”

Fíriel imagined that she was referring to the Princess of Rhûn, but did not remark upon it. Instead, she sat on the chair drawn for her, drank the wine poured for her, and quietly prayed for Gimilzagar’s safety.

He did not show up until many hours later, when the candles were almost spent, and most of the women who sat with them had fallen asleep. His hair was wet and dishevelled, there was a bloodstain in his left cheek, and his eyes were those of a living corpse. Fíriel could not help but remember those fateful days after he returned from the mainland, when she had been barely able to bring him back to the world of the living. What had they done to him this time?

Next to her, Ar Zimraphel rose to embrace the Prince and kiss him on the forehead. Her coldness was gone, and for a moment she was a loving mother, her features reflecting her child’s pain like a mirror.

“Go with him, my dear”, she told Fíriel, grabbing her shoulder in a tight grip and pushing her gently in his direction. “Do not leave him.”

Fíriel did not intend to leave him, and much less the way he looked now. She followed him through a maze of corridors in silence, until a door finally closed behind them and they were alone.

What happened next was something that Fíriel did not expect. She had been waiting for him to talk, to share his griefs with her, perhaps even cry. Instead, he lay his hands on her and began taking off her clothes, as fiercely as if those silk fabrics were a hateful obstacle that he had to tear down.

After the first surprise, she let him do it, not caring that her most expensive ceremonial dress would be ruined. Tentatively, she tried doing the same to him, too, which only seemed to encourage him further in his endeavours. Soon, they were both lying on the bed, naked, their limbs entwined until they could no longer be sure of where each of them ended and the other began. But this was still not enough for him: he wanted more, like a man who had been about to die of thirst would gorge on water even if it killed him. In all their years together, he had never been a forceful lover, and the feeling was so new that it almost felt like the first time all over again. A whirlwind of contradictory emotions shook her: there was pain, and then there was pleasure; she gasped for air, and then she recovered her breath only to bury herself in him. She cried, and she laughed; it was too much to bear, but at the same time it was not enough. In the end, both collapsed side by side, and she was so exhausted, so overwhelmed at their physical exertions, that it took her a long while to figure out what had been wrong.

He had not given himself to her- not truly, at least. For the first time in all those years, his mind had retreated. Their bodies had never been closer, and yet their souls had never been so far apart.

“Fíriel”, he whispered, as soon as he realized that she was stirring under the covers.

“Yes, Gimilzagar?” she asked. But he did not reply, until a long time afterwards.

“You should not be on the wrong side.”

“What are you talking about?” The haze had dissipated by now, and she was feeling as alert as if she had slept all night and awoken just in time to watch the crack of dawn.

“I am talking about the war. Númenor is at war now, with the Baalim. You were here tonight because of me, but this is not your side. This is not where you should be.”

Fíriel took a very deep breath, wondering what on Earth she could possibly say to this. Without feeling his mind against hers, she could not be sure, but she wondered if this was all about the mortal peril they had been in last night – and not, as she had assumed, about the King’s actions and his treatment of Gimilzagar.

“I am fine, Gimilzagar,” she reassured him. “The Queen kept me safe.”

He seemed not to hear her.

“This is wrong. All wrong. You stand before the fuming altars and pray, but you abhor those sacrifices. You speak the name of the Deliverer before the assembled Court, but you believe him to be a demon. If the war goes wrong, you will fall with us, instead of being spared together with your people.”

“That is also true of you.”

“It is not. My circumstances are very different from yours, Fíriel. You could be there now, with them, but there is no place for me anywhere but here.”

This discussion was beginning to enter a territory Fíriel was very familiar with –the territory of her troubled conscience, where she found herself whenever she thought she had finally left it behind. She did not want to be in that territory again, so she shook her head vigorously.

“Wherever there is no place for you, there is no place for me, either. I thought that you knew.” Then, just because she thought that dark humour might be able to break the tension, she let her lips curve in a wry grin. “Besides, you should not be so defeatist. From what I have seen and heard, the King intends to win.”

Gimilzagar paled, and though she still could not hear his thoughts, it suddenly dawned upon her that this, and not Ar Pharazôn’s defeat, was his worst fear.

“Gimilzagar…” she began, not knowing very well what to say. He looked away. “Gimilzagar, what happened? You… spoke with the King, didn’t you?”

“Do not worry”, he said, with a studied, overdone nonchalance. “He is still human enough, and too much of a mortal, to risk the life of his heir by throwing you into the flames. Even though Lord Zigûr has been trying to convince him that he should. “The pretence broke, and his dark eyes were brimming with anguish. “But the very moment he becomes a god, our reprieve will be over. I will be less than dirt under his feet, and you a poisonous insect that he will enjoy crushing.”

Fíriel swallowed. What was wrong with her, that she was more afraid of what he was not saying, than at the idea that whatever the outcome of the war, she was doomed?

“Well, Gimilzagar, the King might become immortal, but for me, such a fate was never an option. So, sooner or later, I will have to die. According to you, if I stay here and the Baalim prevail, I will die, and if I stay here and the King prevails, I will die.  But if I go with my people, what makes you think I would fare better? Do you think the Baalim will not know what is in my heart? As for an immortal Ar Pharazôn, he might not think oaths sworn in the name of fellow immortals are worth keeping. He can storm Rómenna in a day and reduce it to ashes. Or Pelargir. Where can you escape, when a god is chasing you?” In the heat of the argument, she was not even scared of what she was saying, though she knew that later, in the privacy of her own bed, the panic would come. “So the answer is no. No matter what you say, I will not leave you.”

“I could have you bound and put inside a cart, and delivered to the lord of Andúnië.”

“I would escape him and come back.”

“If you left Rómenna on your own, you would be killed.”

“Then congratulations, my lord prince”, she snorted. “You would have achieved exactly what you set out to do.”

“Why do you have to be so stubborn?”

“It is in my blood. My true father was of the Haradrim, and he chose death rather than abandoning his friend.”

“I only want what is best for you. I love you, Fíriel. I do not want you to… I would not be able to…” All of a sudden, the veil was torn, and she could feel his mind in hers, and his thoughts filling it like the rising tide on Midsummer’s day. She saw a pitiful man struggling in terror, until Gimilzagar touched his mind and he went limp, to await his fate meekly. She saw Sauron smile, and Ar Pharazôn’s bloody face, as his hazel eyes were set on his with a look of challenge.

Would you be able to pick your prisoners, lead them to the altar, and sacrifice them with your own hands?

Her contentious mood died as fast as it had come, leaving nothing but grief and pity in its wake. In a swift impulse, she embraced Gimilzagar and held him close, even as his chest began to shake with the long-repressed sobs.

“Yes, Fíriel. I- I am the one w-who is doomed. B-but you do not h-have to be.” He wiped his eyes furiously. “You should not be.”

“Do not say that.” Disturbed as she was, she refused to surrender to despair. “Never say that. He will not carry out his threat, and even if he wanted to, you know there are those who would never allow it.” She remembered the Queen sitting at her bedside, telling her that she would doom millions so Gimilzagar would live. But as he caught this thought, the Prince’s eyes widened in horror.

“No, Fíriel. No. This has to stop one day. If the King decides to set the date himself, then so be it. He was the one who started it, so it should be his privilege.” His eyes were lost in some undetermined spot of the ceiling, and his voice was practically a whisper. “The longer I live, the more the list grows out of my reach. No matter how hard I try, I will never catch up. And deep inside, I… I think I have always known it.”

“Shhhh.”. She stroked his hair as he leaned tentatively against her, trying to hear without listening, without understanding. Like this, she could feel his turmoil and exhaustion, which was the same as hers, and yet so clearly distinct at the same time. “You are tired and upset after everything that happened out there. Tomorrow, you will be able to see things differently. We will go over everything again, with a clearer head, and laugh at how stupid and morbid we are acting now.” And if this fails, we will make love over and over until it no longer matters if we die young.

Gimilzagar let go of a choked sound, which might have been laughter or a sob, and rested his head against her shoulder.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

That room always exuded a pungent smell of herbs, which was already noticeable before the guest had even crossed the threshold of the door. The great heat coming from the Sacred Fire contributed to spread it, and as he braced himself to enter the small, suffocating space, Amandil felt an almost overpowering urge to reach the windows and open them to let the fresh air in.

Númendil was not there. To be honest, Amandil had hoped to find him by the old priest’s bedside, for it was here that his father spent most of his days of late. This visit had largely been a pretext to see him, the sole person whose presence might be able to help Amandil in his current state. Since the news from Forostar had reached him, his turmoil was so great that he had been avoiding everyone else, and speaking to no one.

Now, however, he stood before a man who, even as he lay in bed unable to lift his own head from the pillows, could size him up with a glance as piercing as that of a young priest whose unruly charge was trying to hide some misdeed from him. And he knew that it was too late to escape it.

“My lord”, the priest Hasdrumelkor acknowledged his presence with a bow. He was holding a cup, full of a hot tea he must have been giving Yehimelkor before Amandil had interrupted them. The High Priest’s glance was briefly directed towards him.

“Leave us.” Any chance Amandil might still have had of escaping died as the younger priest carefully left the cup over the bedside table and exited the room. “Approach.” It had become increasingly difficult for the old man to speak, so he had adopted a perpetually imperious mood that did not leave much room for superfluity. In the past, Amandil would have thought it impossible to dissociate the eloquent priest from his longwinded debates and incendiary speeches, but now that he heard him talk like this, it struck him how fitting it was. “Help me.”

His gaze was pointing at the tea, and though Amandil wanted to say that he was too busy and had no time for this, his body seemed to obey on its own. Feeling a drop of sweat trickle down his forehead, he approached the bedstead, took the cup, and sat down to feed its contents to Yehimelkor.

Once he had finished drinking, Yehimelkor closed his eyes for a moment, as if willing the substance to work its effect. Perhaps he would fall asleep now, a hopeful voice whispered in Amandil’s mind, but he did not even have time to feel guilty for this wish.

“Your father…will never make you do this”, the High Priest spoke with great effort, his grey eyes open again and firmly set on the lord of Andúnië. “So I will.”

Amandil knew better than to engage in this particular debate. Even the most zealous among the Faithful knew that nobody could be forced to die, just as nobody could be forced to live. Amandil, moreover, did not consider himself the most zealous of anything, and, very deep down, he had to admit that he found the man’s bravery admirable. For him, holding to life was not the desperate reflex of a man terrified of death: it was a sacrifice, the greatest and most perfect sacrifice he could ever offer.

If only his god would accept it, he thought, wistfully. But the King of Armenelos had turned into the Lord of Battles, and then into the Great Deliverer, too busy feeding on the souls of thousands of unwilling victims to pay much attention to subtlety. And all three of them had always been Morgoth. Just like his favourite servant, the Vala had once entered the Island as an embodiment of everything that was right and good, only to reveal his true colours later.

His despair came back in full force at this thought.

“I received news from the shipyards of Forostar this morning” he began, before he could check his impulse. “The King has announced his plans to wage war against the Valar and wrestle immortality from them. They say the Valar answered by sending him a terrible thunderstorm, which killed nearly a hundred of those who were assembled there, among bystanders and priests. He was unharmed.”

His matter-of-factness hid a disarray which, even in his current state, Yehimelkor was able to perceive. He tensed, gathering his strength to speak again.

“Are they your gods?” he asked. Amandil blinked, surprised at this question. The High Priest of Melkor knew the doctrines of the Faithful well enough, and the few points he may have ignored while he sat in his Temple of Armenelos had been gladly explained by Lord Númendil after he came to live with them. Could he be losing his mind?

“They are not gods. They are guardians of the world, chosen since the beginning of Time, and their role is…”

“Then why blame them?” Yehimelkor interrupted him. “You do not pray to them. They do not answer you. They are just… immortals. Feeling threatened.” The effort seemed to be taking its toll on him, and he took several sharp intakes of breath. “They defend themselves… as… they… can.”

“Please, do not overtax yourself”, Amandil begged, concerned that the priest’s unusual excitement would harm his health even further. But the High Priest shook his head.

“Pride. He defeated… Sauron. Now, he thinks he can… defeat the… Baalim. If he… won… he would defy… defy the Great God. It is… unstoppable. The most… terrible sin. Has beginning but… no end.” His eyes, made huge by the contrast with his unbelievably thin features, fixed themselves on Amandil. “All of Númenor is consumed.”

That was quite right, the lord of Andúnië admitted. Ar Pharazôn and his Númenor would not stop, would not rest until they had brought their collective ruin. The Valar might not be acting decisively now, out of unwillingness or inability, but as soon as Ar Pharazôn and his fleet sailed off to invade Aman, they would have to do something. And even if they did not, the Great God, the one who dwelt beyond the Circles of the World, would do it in their stead, because He had appointed them Himself. And this time, the storm would sink them all.

As he thought this, Amandil felt the overpowering urge to rebel at the unfairness of it. Why did it have to be like this? They knew what was going to happen, and yet they would not stop it before it happened, while their actions could still make a difference. There were still many in the Island who had not been swept away by this madness, why shouldn’t they be worth saving? Why fulminate a few hapless bystanders in the shipyards, when so much more could be done? As a matter of fact, why hadn’t it been done earlier, before Ar Pharazôn could take the Sceptre, and he managed to draw so many into his dreams of conquest? What kind of guardians would simply wipe Númenor off the face of the world for something they had allowed to happen?

“Are they your gods?” Yehimelkor asked again. This time, Amandil understood the question.

“Not the Valar. But they were appointed by Eru, to do His bidding. He is my god.” He shook his head. “And He does not listen to my prayers.”

“Mine are not… answered either”, Yehimelkor hissed, and suddenly he looked more vulnerable than Amandil had ever seen him. For a moment he could do nothing but stand there, amazed by this confession.

“Well”, he said at last, with a bitter grin. “Then, perhaps we should stop praying and do something worthwhile.”

The expected explosion did not come. Instead, Yehimelkor merely frowned, Amandil did not know if in disapproval or in an unvoiced question. He leaned forwards, feeling a manic energy seize his body, fuelled by his own frustration.

“Not all Númenor has been drawn into this. Many people are just trying to survive the madness. I am no god, not even an appointed guardian of the world, but I swear I will not rest until they have been led to safety.”

“In the mainland” Yehimelkor spat, and finally, the disapproval emerged in all its glory. “Where they will conquer… others. Where they will…” His voice broke as his chest was racked by an ugly cough that instinctively made Amandil rise to help him, though there was nothing he could do. In the end, it subsided. “Take… what belongs to… others… again.”

Amandil shook his head, feeling the familiar irritation which he remembered from most of his past dealings with this inflexible man.

“So what would you do, then? Let the innocent be destroyed together with the guilty, without moving a finger to save them? Oh, I know you believe that we should have stayed in the Island, and that we should never have established our colonies in Middle Earth. And I agree with you, as long as there is an Island to retreat to. If we no longer have that, should we disappear from the world altogether?” Yehimelkor did not answer, but the lord of Andúnië could see that he was not convinced. “The Faithful have stood aside from Zigûr’s sacrifices. They have taken no part in the atrocities done to the conquered peoples. And if our dreams become true, the memory of the Island’s fate will endure forever as an example of what happened once the brightest civilization on Earth lost its path. We will know better than to lose it again.”

Yehimelkor made a gurgling noise, but it was not a new cough, as Amandil thought at first. Strange as it was to even imagine, it was laughter.

“Do you think our… ancestors thought… differently?” he asked. “Civilizers. Teachers. Helpers”, he spat. “Pride… consumed us. All of us. It is… too late. If you… believe in… divine will, then you… should not… contest it.”

Amandil snorted to hide his turmoil.

“Perhaps, if I was like you, but I am not. Once upon a time, you said I had the mind of a heathen in the body of a soldier, remember? That I was remarkably impervious to any faith, whether true or false” he said. “Well, perhaps you were right. Because if I have to accept this to be a man of faith, then I am not one. If no god or higher being will move a finger to help us, I will not stay here, waiting for disaster to strike me, those I love, and those who trust me to protect them. I will fight it to my last breath, and use whatever small power I still have to alter this fate as much as I can.”

Yehimelkor managed to shake his head a little.

“You sound… like the King”, he said, simply. Amandil refused to let this provoke, much less disturb him. He had come in here looking for his father, damn it, and his father was the only one who should have heard his innermost thoughts.

“That must be why we were friends for so long.” At least until Amandil’s mind learned to tell the difference between conquering the world, sacrificing people to the Great Deliverer and attacking the Valar in their own realm, and striving to protect innocent men, women and children. A difference which, for the likes of Yehimelkor, seemed not to exist. “Now, if you excuse me, I have things to do.”

“You are excused”, Yehimelkor replied, as dignified as if Amandil had truly been asking him for permission to go. Before the lord of Andúnië could abandon the room, however, he heard the hoarse voice again. “Thank you. For your… visit.”

Amandil’s bravado died, like the flickering flame of a hearth after a gust of cold wind had blown through the window. With it, his anger and frustration were also gone, and he could see clearly that not even the great power of his inflexibility would keep this man alive for much longer. And once that he died, a part of Amandil would die with him –whether the better or the worst part, he did not know.

“It was no trouble”, he said, and right then he meant it. “I will come and visit you more often, if my obligations allow.”

But Yehimelkor’s moment of weakness, if he had had one, was long gone.

“They will not” he predicted bitterly, his eyes growing lost in the paintings of the ceiling.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

In all his life, Tal Elmar had never been unable to see land. The only time he had been on a ship, on their way to Pelargir, the trees and the mountains had always been there, if he leaned on the railing and looked hard enough. But when he set foot on the big ship that would take him beyond the last edge of the world and into the mysterious Island of the Sea People, it was all he could do not to let the immensity of the Great Sea, magnified by the haunting power of the tales he had heard as a child, drive him into a panicked frenzy. At first, it had been easier to remain brave because he knew that Isildur was watching, and the last thing he wanted was to be shamed in front of him. After the ship departed the harbour and the last, narrow strip of land disappeared beyond the horizon, however, he had needed to remind himself, many times, that the people who surrounded him all knew Isildur and would report to him.

Even so, his body had betrayed him, and he had fallen sick. The sailors and merchants all smiled and behaved as if this was normal, but none of them had vomited overboard until their limbs were shaking and their mouths dry. They probably meant that it was normal for barbarians, for Forest People, who were weak and short-lived and could not help their impulses. Tal Elmar resented this greatly. He had spent his entire life trying to prove that he was a warrior of Agar, but he could not prevent his fellow tribesmen from seeing him as one of the Sea People. Now that he was among the Sea People, a part of him had hoped that things would be different, but so far nothing seemed to have changed much. Even Isildur, who often said that he would make a fine Númenórean, had not wanted him. Oh, his body had wanted him, that much was obvious, but when he was faced with the need to acknowledge it, he had balked. He had even made up some story about Númenóreans not knowing about those barbarian customs, which did not make sense to Tal Elmar at all. If the Númenóreans were so different, why would Isildur be excited to touch him, or look at him like that? Why would he come up with some story about Tal Elmar being in great danger to justify dumping him on a ship and getting rid of him?

Long as this journey had proved to be, whenever he was not vomiting or trying in vain to spot something that was not water in the horizon, Tal Elmar could not stop thinking of this. Often, he had managed to work himself into a state of anger, not only at Isildur, but also at himself. When Hazad uBuldar lay on his deathbed, he had made him swear that he would give the Sea People his allegiance, and obey them in all things. If Isildur said that he had to go to Númenor, Tal Elmar could not oppose his will. But, did he have to go so meekly? The more he thought about it, the more he regretted his lack of insistence. He should have gazed at the Númenórean right in the eye, without looking away, and informed him that he would not leave until he was told the whole truth.

Back when he was still a man of Agar, nobody had found Tal Elmar pleasing to the eye. No warrior would have chosen him, and maidens would walk faster whenever he approached them. This meant no formal training for him, no clear status, and no prospects of marriage alliances. He never became part of any warrior band, and all that he knew about fighting had been taught by Hazad himself, or by the grumbling brothers whose unwilling help his father had successively enlisted. Isildur had been the first person to ever look at him in a different way. Even back when Tal Elmar was his prisoner in that encampment by the beach, and everybody believed him to be an ignorant barbarian who could not speak a word of their language, the Númenórean kept staring at him as if bedazzled by his appearance. When the young man was feeling exhausted from withstanding Anárion’s extensive interrogations, and scared that those prying eyes would end up seeing inside his soul and discovering his deception, Isildur was the one who strode inside the tent and forced his brother to leave him alone. And when Hazad showed up and there was no longer any reason to hide his knowledge of the Númenórean tongue, Isildur’s shock had immediately given way to relief, and the first thing he asked Tal Elmar was whether he would be interested in leaving with him on his ship. Later, he had repeated his offer, angry on his behalf because they would not let him participate in the burial of the warriors. Tal Elmar had refused both times, frightened by the possibility of such a great upheaval in his life, and mistrustful of Númenórean promises, but he had often regretted it later. For not even Hazad’s chieftainship, or the considerable goodwill he always showed him, even in public, had succeeded in turning Tal Elmar into a proper warrior of Agar. No one had chosen him, and no one had married their daughter to him, as the advantages of becoming allied to a son of Hazad turned into disadvantages the more it grew obvious that his many older brothers considered his existence as a source of shame for their clan, and that one of them would soon be the next chieftain.

Now that he thought about it, Tal Elmar was certain that Hazad had known. He had been aware of the way the leader of the Sea People looked at his youngest son, and his mind had slowly come up with a plan. Even before he was bedridden for the last time, when he still spent his days sitting by the hearth and staring thoughtfully at its embers, Tal Elmar remembered him remarking more than once that the Sea People did not reckon years as they did; that he, already an old man, was barely a grown warrior for them, and that Tal Elmar himself would be just out of childhood. Grandmother’s blood was strong in him, which was probably why he could not manage to grow a beard yet, and, if this was the case, he might be destined to be long-lived. What could have been the point of all those elucubrations, which seemed to preoccupy him so much at a moment where it might have been more practical to worry about whether either of them would be alive the next day, unless it was to reach the conclusion that Tal Elmar was still of an age to be chosen by a Númenórean? But in this as in all things, hindsight was crucial, and Tal Elmar had remained unaware of his father’s true intentions even as he swore by his deathbed, left his home never to return, and knelt before Isildur to ask for his protection. It was only later, in Pelargir, when he had come to understand the entire thing. And then, it had just been one glorious moment of clarity before Isildur remembered who he was - and rejected him again.

Only, he had to wonder…was this what had exactly happened? Even now, Tal Elmar could not be wholly sure, and this gave him the tiniest sliver of hope. Back in his tribe, at least, rejection had not looked like this. Tal Elmar had never known of a warrior who refused the favours of a younger man, and yet trained and protected him anyway. And he had not just sent him anywhere, but to Númenor, with his own family. Whatever he planned to do with Tal Elmar, he was not getting rid of him. Sometimes, the young man wondered if he did all this just out of pity, but Tal Elmar was not Isildur’s son or his kin, and the Númenórean had no reason to pity him as Hazad used to. Above all, his reactions to their physical contact did not tally with this idea.

Maybe he wanted, really wanted Tal Elmar, but was just ashamed of what the rest of the Sea People would say if they saw him with a barbarian. That could be why he always mentioned Hazad’s oath as the reason why he had taken him in, though even a Númenórean had to be aware that an oath between Hazad and Tal Elmar should never have been binding for him. And in that case, why shouldn’t there still be a chance of success? Tal Elmar had been shunned in Agar because he did not look like the Forest People; that he followed all their laws and customs and behaved like the bravest of their warriors never had the ability to make the slightest difference. But in Númenor, it was the opposite. He looked like the Sea People, and even in Pelargir he had noticed that whenever he kept his mouth shut and imitated their behaviour and their movements, he could pass as one of them. This meant that, for the first time in his life, he held his fate in his own hands. If he followed every one of their rules, memorized all their beliefs, imitated their movements, their speech, their courtesies, and learned to fight like them and worship their gods, there would be nothing to remind them that he had once been a warrior of Agar. And then, he could earn their respect, and Isildur would no longer be ashamed of him.

“Oh, look at you!” One of the sailors had just landed on deck after dangling rather precariously from the mast closer to Tal Elmar; a high and frightening structure that looked like the Sacred Tree of his people’s tales, but planted in the water. “You are not sick anymore. Good for you!”

“Thanks.” Filled with this new determination, Tal Elmar stood up, his back against the railing in a good impression of a warrior stance. It might have been his imagination, but the floor felt a little less unsteady under his feet. “Maybe I help you. If you need me. Go up there”, he added, pointing at the moving tree. The sailor’s eyes widened as understanding set in.

“Whoa. You are spirited, boy! Just finds his sea-legs and already fancies himself a sailor”, he laughed, shaking his head. Then, however, Tal Elmar’s smouldering look seemed to give him pause, and he sobered. “No offense. Now I think about it, if you want to make yourself useful, there is something you could help us with. There are sails in need of repair; if you know how to use a needle you are welcome to join us. It’s not the best job in the world, but it beats rowing a galley under the midday sun, I guess.”

Tal Elmar had never used a needle, and in Agar he might have felt insulted if a man had asked him if he had, but he kept his thoughts to himself and nodded eagerly.

“I will help you.” It had not looked that difficult when the women did it.

“Great. Come with me.” To walk was a little different than to stand; now, the floor seemed to move much more, but Tal Elmar managed to keep his balance. The realization that yes, a random Númenórean could trust a face like his, no matter where it came from, gave him heart. “By the way, can you feel it? The Island is already close by. I can always tell from the smell of the pine trees of the Hyarrostar.”

“Er…” The young barbarian’s confidence faltered, for he could not smell anything of the kind. He was struggling with something to say, when the sailor laughed again.

“I was pulling your leg! I mean, joking. Nobody can smell pines from hundreds of miles away, but I like to pretend that I can. I was born there, you know, and sometimes I pine for my ancient home. Did you get it? Pine. By the way, what was your name again?”

That evening, Tal Elmar was taught how to sew damaged sails and repair them so they could be hung on masts and move ships across the great water. And as the stars were kindled one by one and the Sea People exchanged jokes and stories all around him, he swore to himself that one day he would also learn all the rest.

 

 

Surrender

Read Surrender

He was so cold. His body was shaking uncontrollably under the bedcovers, though he could feel his forehead smouldering from the heat, and hear the crackling of the sacred flames nearby. The faces hovering above him were flushed, too, and large beads of sweat trickled across them, but to him all this meant nothing. The fire had not warmed him in years.

“I am here, Father.” Yehimelkor’s weak heart fluttered, until he realized that Hannimelkor was talking to Lord Númendil, who was sitting closest to him. “I came as soon as I received your message.” Then, the sea-grey eyes turned towards him, and they looked strangely sheepish, as if he did not know how to address him, or even whether to do so. The High Priest wanted to snort at him, but only a gurgling sound came out. This prompted Hasdrumelkor to hover over him in concern.

“Do you want something, Your Holiness? There is no need for you to talk, I will enumerate so you only have to nod. Water? Another blanket? Medicine? Rest?”

Yehimelkor shook his head, irritated. What he wanted was to stop being coddled by those who tried to lose themselves in the small things because they could not bear to face what was important. He was dying; no amount of water, medicine or blankets would change that fact. And, in the larger scheme of things, even his death was nothing but an anecdote, not worth anyone’s grief or despair. He was an old, defeated man, whose time was long past. They should be worrying about the fate of Númenor and their own, for without the protection of the King of Armenelos, there was no future for the Island.

He breathed deeply, or as deeply as he could before the needling pain erupted in his lungs. In other times, he would have said those words aloud, but now, even this had been taken from him. Instead, he focused his gaze on the newcomer, trying to gather enough strength to utter one single word without his voice betraying him.

“Hannimelkor.”

“The High Priest does not need anything. He only wishes us to bear witness to his passing, and to the fact that he carried himself with dignity until the very end.”

Númendil, as always, was behaving most intrusively. Since the day the priest was brought to Andúnië to escape the King’s wrath, Hannimelkor’s father had proved very insistent in his attempts to befriend him. Yehimelkor had immediately rejected his pity, but this had not been of much use, as the wretched man had many other things to throw at him. There was gratefulness, curiosity, admiration, even the determination to discover a kindred spirit underneath a surface of irreconcilable differences. Yehimelkor had weathered all this grudgingly, hoping that he would give up once he discovered there was no purpose to his efforts. But if there was someone in this Island who had managed to surpass the High Priest of Melkor in stubbornness, it was not the King or the Former King; it was Lord Númendil. Now, he had brought this as far as to turn into a permanent fixture of Yehimelkor’s sickbed – deathbed-, not to give him water or wipe his forehead, but to act as an intermediary of sorts between him and others. A hale Yehimelkor would have scorned his presumption, but the dying Yehimelkor could not help feeling thankful. Even when the man had grown aware, without the need for words, of his yearning for Hannimelkor to be present.

The boy shook, his eyes gazing in terror at the flames that seemed to rise to embrace him. It took him a long time to gather enough determination to follow the priest to the highest rung of the altar, where his shaking knees gave way instead of kneeling. Superstitious images of horrible demons who bred Orcs, full of black malice towards the race of Men, agitated his mind, but the priest had promised that his life would be saved, and there was nothing else left for him to hold on to except this.

“Stop shaking, or you will get cut”, he was rebuked, after he instinctively flinched away from the knife. When he saw his hair disappear in the flames, the boy looked at the verge of crying, but he did not. He had to be brave, even if there was no one but this Morgoth-worshipper to see his weakness. Watching this, the priest’s heart went out to him, and he no longer saw the enemy’s son, whose right to live rested on his ability to join the fold. And then he knew that, from that day onwards, he would protect this child who had been entrusted to him, and care for him regardless of who he was, or who he chose to be.

“By the mercy of the Great God, you have been reborn. From now on, your name will be Hannimelkor, the Mercy of Melkor.”

“He wants you to sit closer to him. Here, take my seat”, Númendil spoke, his voice heavy with a deep emotion. “Let him look at your face.”

Hannimelkor did so, though his gaze was reluctant. He was feeling guilty, Yehimelkor realized, for not having visited him more, or spent time with him in all those years they had lived under the same roof. He had been busy with many things, but that was not the real reason why he had avoided his former Revered Father. Despite Yehimelkor’s taunts that he was unable to hold a firm belief, in the latter part of his life he had grown rather inflexible about a number of things, perhaps as much as the priest himself. Whenever they did meet, despite his best intentions, they had always ended up fighting, and the lord of Andúnië was so weakened by his self-appointed mission of struggling against Fate that he could no longer bear to be questioned. Often, Yehimelkor had wished he was the kind of person who could let those things go, but he had always proved remarkably unable to be anything else than what he was. Just like Hannimelkor himself, he realized. Númendil’s mysterious secret eluded both of them, and though they saw him every day, they could not imitate him.

“He understands. And he forgives you”, Númendil summed up his thoughts quite admirably. The shadow of an emotion veiled Hannimelkor’s eyes, and all of a sudden, as if on a blind impulse, he grabbed the old man’s bony hand in his.

“I wish to make a confession. If… if there is something I have always been ashamed of, all my life, it was betraying you”, he blurted, in a dull voice. “For years, I was unable to even think about you without feeling shame. I do not know if I should speak of such matters at a moment like this, but this is likely to be the last chance I will have, so let me ask for your forgiveness.”

That day, at the Temple, Yehimelkor had ordered Hannimelkor never to address a word to him again. But the deepest motive for this had not been his anger, great and sinful as it was, but a vision of the disaster which would befall his old pupil the day this happened. Still, Hannimelkor had not obeyed, or paid any heed to his warning, and here they were now, clasping each other’s hands as if he was hanging from a cliff, and a gaping abyss was opening under his feet.

“Yehimelkor thinks you are being foolish, my son”, Númendil smiled. “He forgave you long ago for following Heaven’s will.”

“You mean, the will of the King of Armenelos”, Hannimelkor corrected. He looked briefly full of joy, until another look at the priest sobered him up. “I… I know I will never get you to agree with me on what needs to be done. But I, and the house of Andúnië, owe our lives to you twice. If we are able to survive the coming storm, and start new lives on a faraway land, I swear I will make sure that my descendants never forget it.”

This time, Yehimelkor managed to smile wryly. Of course they would forget it. Anárion had sired two girls who ran around the house, playing and getting into various sorts of mischief; only the older of them had seen him. The younger might be told about him one day, and so would those to come, but once they grew to adulthood, they would find it abhorrent to think that they owed anything to a priest of Melkor. Even those who understood would realize very soon that others would not. The memory of him would die with the Island, with the Sacred Fire he had tended since he was a boy, and with the temple of a god who had abandoned the world because of the evil deeds of Men.

I will never forget you, my friend.

You will leave this world as soon as I am not here to witness your sin, he retorted at Númendil. The old man did not even have the grace to look abashed.

But I will still remember you wherever I go. And though I do not know what lies beyond the Circles of the World, if the wisdom of my ancestors can be believed, it is a much better place than this. Who knows? Perhaps we will meet again there, and I will need those memories to recognize you.

Yehimelkor did not need to answer this. Both knew well enough that this was not true: it was utterly impossible for someone like Númendil to share a space with him anywhere but in this marred world.

“Hasdrumelkor”, he whispered, and once again his body shook with the pain of the terrible effort. “Sacrifice… for me.”

The old priest nodded. He looked at the verge of crying, and Yehimelkor remembered that he had also been a boy when he first crossed the threshold of his quarters. Now, most of his life had trickled away from his grasp, dedicated to the faithful service of the Great God in appearance, but in truth dedicated to the service of Yehimelkor himself. Hasdrumelkor had never been a man of deep, spiritual beliefs, but he had stayed by his side after all the others had gone, determined to prove that at least one of his pupils would never abandon him. Yehimelkor had often been short with him, at first because he was still bitter from Hannimelkor’s betrayal, and in the final stretches of his life because he was in pain and had little patience left. In the end, Hasdrumelkor had been the most invisible of the three people who stood by him now, but of all of them, he was the one who had deserved more.

“I will”, he was saying now, his voice hoarse. “I will sacrifice for you, Your Holiness, on this same day for every month and every year of what remains of my life. And I will see to the fire until… until…” Until you are dead and there is no one else to tend it, Yehimelkor thought, just as a sharp burst of pain erupted in the left side of his body. It did not matter. None of it mattered anymore. Once the god was gone, the fire was only a fire, even if Hasdrumelkor had never possessed the subtlety to tell the difference. A true believer would fulfil his obligations no matter whether the Lord witnessed his efforts or not, and while this lasted, there would be a last link between the human and the divine remaining upon the surface of this earth. But once the last believer died, the link would suffer the same fate as all perishable things, and Hasdrumelkor should not spend a single instant blaming himself for things which had never been his fault.

“Thank you” he hissed, riding the wave of pain. “Thank… you.”

“Lord Yehimelkor is deeply grateful for all you have done for him” Númendil’s soft voice took over. “He is humbled by your unwavering loyalty, and sees it fitting that you should be the last to kneel before the sacred fire of the King of Armenelos. For everything in this world of Men must have an end, except for the Lord himself, who will still exist even if his fire is extinguished, his temple gone and the memories of his worship lost.” He paused briefly, as if wondering how to put this into words –perhaps even if he should, for what was a source of hope for Yehimelkor himself would look like a terrible curse for the Baalim-worshippers. Still, the lord of Andúnië’s father was too upright to distort or silence a dying man’s message. “And one day, if Men should be worthy of him again, he may return, and reveal himself to them.”

Now, Hasdrumelkor was sobbing openly, dabbing at his cheeks with his tunic to quench the flow of his tears.

“I-I will, Y-your Holiness. B-but p-please d-do not th-thank me. I only d-did my duty… though…. though I a-always d-did it willingly.”

Yehimelkor smiled, feeling himself relax. The moment was near, he realized, in a sudden burst of clarity. His foe, the debilitating illness that ravaged his body, had retreated only to gather forces for the final attack. He closed his eyes and inhaled sharply, willing his body not to fight it when it came.

I could show you how to do it, if only you were willing to let me.

I will not cast a shadow upon a life of faith by ending it in sin. Númendil had been expecting this answer, though he still seemed sad. Do not feel sorry for me. I can take this, as I have withstood worse things for all these years.

“Farewell, Revered Father”, Hannimelkor blurted out, breaking the eerie silence. He, too, was at the verge of tears, and Yehimelkor swallowed. He had never expected to be called by this name again.

His hand squeezed the lord of Andúnië’s fingers briefly, to show him that he had heard. Then, he gazed beyond the pale shadows of the world of Men, towards the place where the Eternal Fire burned for ever, without the need for mortal hands, wood or flesh to keep it alive, to pray for one final time.

King of Armenelos, I have dedicated my whole life to your service, worshipping you with a righteous heart and in accordance with the laws of your Temple. Now, in my last hour, I call upon you, and I beg you to forgive my sins, cleanse me of all my impurities, and accept my sacrifice, a pale shadow of your own. Take me with you, so I may live for ever, and have mercy on those who are left behind.

The flames rose, and for a moment all he could feel was an unendurable pain. Voices, so close and at the same time so distant, floated around him, and he could hear someone crying. His body thrashed and writhed, held by ghost hands whose owners he could not see. And then the fire was inside him, filling, consuming him with its vivifying warmth, and the High Priest knew that he would never feel cold again.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

When their ship laid anchor in Rómenna, Isildur realized it had been the longest he and Anárion had been away since the start of their mission. An accumulation of delays, unforeseen circumstances and, above all, the campaign they had been forced to lead against the league of warrior bands that threatened their alliance with Agar, had elevated their absence from the Island to four years. Their journey, however, had been fruitful even for Lord Amandil’s demanding expectations, and he appeared very glad to hear that the construction of a second and a third settlement was already underway, under the supervision of the Master of Agar. The way things were going in the Island made him more eager than ever to proceed with their colonization plans, as it seemed that the direst hour was growing near. After the Sceptre had formally declared war on the Valar, and proceeded with the sacrilegious endeavour of building a fleet to attack the Blessed Realm, natural disasters had piled one upon another. A violent storm had destroyed the first ships built in the Northern shipyards; there had been quakes in the West of the Island, floods in the South, and a Middle Earth disease brought by some hapless slave in a ship had been passed to a Númenórean master, causing many deaths in the populous cities of Sor and Armenelos.

This reminder that they belonged to the same kindred of Men as the short-lived barbarian folk they so freely abused, however, had not acted as a deterrent for this injustice, or even as an invitation to pause in their course towards greater evils. Instead, fear had engendered more pride and hatred for those who were perceived as being at fault for those ills. Many slaves had been sacrificed, and many others quarantined in inhuman conditions and left to die in camps built in the Southeastern region under the authority of the Governor of Sor. Then, when it became apparent that the Faithful were not affected, the brunt of people’s hostility had shifted to them. There they boldly stood, followers and spies of the enemy in Númenorean soil, while the King and the Queen did nothing to put a stop to their activities! The lord of Andúnië had some sort of mysterious ascendancy over them, perhaps achieved by nefarious means, so he was free to lord over the city his people had gradually invaded from his proud and mighty house over the cliff, and await his opportunity to strike at the Númenorean Sceptre. Most in the house of Andúnië believed Sauron to be behind those whispers, which had resulted in a number of spontaneous incursions on their territory, the harassment of their people, and even the murder of one of the most prominent members of the Faithful community. The Governor of Sor had his hands full with the epidemic and the maintenance of law and order in Sor itself, and though he always assured Amandil that he would take care of the problem, his promises had so far proved empty.

Isildur and Anárion had been made aware of this situation through letters and messages delivered through the Seeing Stones, so it was not that much of a shock when their ship was thoroughly inspected, their cargo seized, and their persons detained by the Rómenna authorities. Luckily, Lord Amandil was there to smooth things over, though the price of bribing officials was escalating as fast as the tension, as he admitted to them in a rueful tone. He was trying to save most of what remained of his money exclusively for the colonizing venture, for there was a growing list of people whose lives would be worth less than dirt unless they left the Island soon.

“There are many people in Pelargir waiting to be taken North, too”, Anárion answered gravely. “We cannot have them stay in the city for an indefinite amount of time, or increase the number of refugees waiting to travel without risking to upset the delicate balance that we keep there. Not to mention that the settlements which are being built now will take a long time to…”

“I hear your concerns”, the lord of Andúnië interrupted him, “but listening to them is a luxury I do not have. These people will depart at once, and by the summer of next year the two colonies will be built and manned. And then, we will begin the search for more locations.”

Anárion opened his mouth again, but this time Isildur was faster.

“I have been organizing our army up North. From a handful of mercenaries and settlers it has grown into a very reliable force, if I may say so myself. Months ago, they defeated an army of barbarians which boasted about twice its numbers, and since then the Forest People have been too wary to attack us. So far, we have stuck to our original mission, and merely defended ourselves and our allies, but the tribes we routed hold lands and resources that we can seize from them if that is what you want us to do.” Amandil looked impassive as he listened to this, but Isildur’s practiced eye could see him flinching inwardly. He held his gaze. “We will follow whatever orders we are given, of course.”

“It is good to know that we have options”, the lord of Andúnië replied vaguely, turning away from him to cut a path through the fishing market. He was still wearing mourning clothes, Isildur realized, even though the priest had died almost nine months ago. Perhaps he still felt that the old man was looking over his shoulder with a frown, ready to disapprove of his actions.

Some ghosts are more demanding than I am, Isildur. You are lucky to have me.

When he passed by his side, Anárion shook his head at him.

 

*      *     *     *     *     *

 

Anárion’s daughters were much changed since the last time Isildur had laid eyes on them. Faniel had grown in height, and even in gracefulness, though he could not fail to notice that the ladylike demeanour with which she welcomed them was still largely a game to her, and that she saw Anárion as a mysterious and extraordinarily exciting stranger. Lindissë, on the other hand, hid her pudgy face behind her mother’s skirts, and neither promises of toys and sweets nor the direst threats could extract her from there. Lady Lalwendë laughed, which made the others follow suit and dismiss this incident as a funny childish whim, but Lady Irimë’s lip thinned ominously.

Irissë was standing next to Ilmarë, dressed in her best finery and wearing more makeup than ever. When Isildur’s eyes fell on her, the first thing that struck him was that her appearance, from the golden curls on her head to the elongated points of her fashionable shoes, had not changed in the slightest from his last memories of her. But instead of rejoicing in it, as another husband would, he could not help but feel disappointed.

“Oh, Isildur, I am so glad you are here!” she cried, pulling him into an embrace. “When word came that you were battling those fierce savages, I was so afraid that something dreadful would happen to you!”

He had almost forgotten how annoying it was when she behaved so effusively in public.

“Please, Irissë”, he said in a low voice, extricating himself from her as gently as he could without appearing brusque. “This is not the most appropriate place for such a display.”

“It is the only place” she retorted, and her joy vanished. “I see you are no different from the man who sailed away four years ago.”

The exact same bastard she married, Malik snorted. But forty years would not be enough to change that, would it?

Isildur was as used by now to her mood swings as he was to Malik’s censure, so he merely took her by the arm and turned his attention to Ilmarë. He was expecting to see a glare of disapproval in her face to match that of her dead lover, but the look she gave him turned out to be much harder to decipher.

“Welcome home, Isildur”, she said. “You might want to know that we are not the only ones who have missed you.”

The daughter of Elendil motioned to someone who had been standing behind her, and as he approached at her signal, Isildur’s stomach plummeted.

It was Tal Elmar. But if neither Irissë nor Isildur had changed in four years, the three years that the Forest barbarian had spent in Númenor had altered him in such a way that even Isildur needed a second take to recognize him. His wild demeanour and appearance were a thing of the past; now, he was scrupulously clean, trimmed and dressed in fine Númenórean clothes. When he bowed at Isildur at Ilmarë’s prompting, and formally welcomed him in perfect, accent-less Adûnaic, the older man could not help the unkind thought that he looked like a tame dog.

“I see your… language has improved”, he remarked, just because he did not know what else to say. His voice came out rather cold.

“He has been working very hard to please you”, Ilmarë replied, before Tal Elmar could open his mouth. “Though I did warn him that you are not always very appreciative of efforts done for your sake.” Irissë gave him a smouldering glance, as if encouraged by Ilmarë’s support for her cause, while Tal Elmar merely frowned. “But let us go inside. We have not been able to organize an official feast because of the mourning, though I can promise you will encounter a larger amount of wine on the dining table than usual.”

Great. Go ahead and get drunk; I am sure that you will not think of doing or saying anything stupid.

“Thanks for the advance warning”, he said to both Ilmarë and Malik, walking across the porch as fast as the woman clinging to him allowed him to.

Tal Elmar did not follow them.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Isildur was not in the mood to make much small talk. During the meal, he did little but sit beside his chattering wife and allow his cup to be refilled so many times that he lost count, despite Malik’s dire predictions. Perhaps he was just too tired of being sober, he thought, of having to measure his words and his actions for the benefit of others.

“Where did Tal Elmar go?” he asked Ilmarë at some point. She shrugged, with what seemed to Isildur like studied indifference.

“I have no idea. He is not a slave; he is free to come and go wherever he pleases.”

At the other side of the large table, Faniel had started whining because she did not want to go to bed yet; she wanted to stay and listen to her father’s stories. Anárion promised solemnly that he would go with her and answer all her questions, and Elendil laughed, claiming that he had no idea of what he had just signed for. Anárion, however, looked like someone who was quite sure of what he was doing. Isildur had never considered him a sentimental man, but now it seemed that he could not get enough of his elder daughter’s attention. Perhaps he would feel torn the next time he had to leave her- but, knowing him, probably not.

“Back when you said that he had been working hard to please me…” he spoke after a while, for some reason unable to drop the subject of Tal Elmar. Suddenly, he realized that he was not sure of how to end the question, and his hazy mind did not supply any ready-made suggestions. Ilmarë took a long sip of her watered wine.

“Yes, Isildur? Is there something that you wish to ask?”

There was a frightening suspicion, which he was hard-pressed to banish from his mind, that she knew more than she was letting on. It was all the wine’s fault, he told himself, it had to be. Why did he have to drink so much?

“I am sorry. I have been… overindulging this evening”, he said, standing on his feet as decisively as he could manage with the world turning in circles around him. “I need to go outside and clear my head.” He turned towards Irissë, who appeared at the verge of voicing an objection. “Expect me later.”

“Of course I will”, she sighed, relieved, even as he turned his back on them and left the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Despite the ominous descriptions of terrible storms and savage weather which had afflicted the Island in his absence, Isildur found the beach at night as peaceful as he remembered it. Or more peaceful than his thoughts, at any rate, he rectified, watching how the waves came to break upon the shore with a perfect regularity which he found as irritating as Irissë’s smile.

Why was he feeling so upset? It was not as if he had been faced with anything unexpected. For all those years he had spent away from home, he had known that his wife would be awaiting his return, and that he would have to bed her. He had also known that Tal Elmar would be there too, no longer the savage who had taken ship from Pelargir, but a proper Númenórean in body and soul. In fact, that was the very reason why he had acted the way he did, and chosen to send the boy away back then. Time would cool off Isildur’s unseemly infatuation and allow rationality to regain the upper hand, and even in the event that it did not, Tal Elmar himself would have learned how wrong his people’s customs were.

If only you had thought this through, Isildur. Now, your irrationality remains as strong as ever, but if you act upon it he will reject you. For all this time, you believed this was what you wanted, until it turned out it was not. And though you know that none of it is his fault, you still blame him for it, because it is just too tempting.

“Am I so horrible, Malik? And, if I am, why in the name of all the Valar were you willing to die for me?” Isildur spat, taking his shoes and clothes off and leaving them discarded upon the sand. “I would never have died for someone like me.”

Oh, I suppose I had a weakness for irrational, hot-tempered and pig-headed people who never tried to pretend they were Elves. Of all the house of Andúnië, you and Ilmarë were the only ones in whose company I was never ashamed of myself. Especially you. You made me feel like an equal, instead of a lowly half-barbarian in the presence of his betters.

“So you befriended me because I was not good enough for my house”, Isildur summed up, wincing as he grew accustomed to the chilly water and attempted his first strokes. “That is fitting, I suppose.”

Perhaps you are too ready to dismiss the advantages of your barbaric brand of humanity, Isildur, Malik suggested, in a reproachful tone. I am of the opinion that you should at least ask him what he thinks. After all, there has to be a reason why he followed you all the way here.

Isildur’s heart jumped, and he stopped swimming for a moment to gaze back towards the surf. There, just as his friend had said, stood a lone silhouette, its features veiled by the darkness and distance. For a moment, Isildur just floated in silence, wondering if he should return or not. Of all the reasons Tal Elmar could have to seek him here, he did not think he was ready for a single one of them. Not with so much wine on his body.

One day you will have to return, unless you intend to swim all the way to the mainland. Malik had a malicious grin on his face. So you should better do it before the cold water makes it shrink.

Wonderful. He would not only be alone with Tal Elmar on a deserted beach, but alone with Tal Elmar on a deserted beach and naked.

When he set foot on the surf and walked towards the shore, however, Tal Elmar did not seem either shocked or surprised at the sight. It was as if all the Númenórean demureness he had exhibited earlier, in Irissë and Ilmarë’s presence, had been a mere figment of Isildur’s tortured imagination. This was so disconcerting –not to mention embarrassing- that, for a moment, he did not know how to react.

“A proper Númenórean would avert his eyes rather than look at me in this state”, he blurted out in the end. Oddly enough, those words brought the reaction that his nakedness had failed to produce: the young barbarian’s eyes widened, his cheeks reddened, and he looked away. Without being asked, he went to pick Isildur’s clothes, then threw them at his feet none too gently.

What on Earth are you doing? Malik sighed, disappointed.

“You do not seem glad to see me. Perhaps you were planning to send me to the altar of the Temple of Sor, and someone mistook your orders?” It was so strange to hear him speak Adûnaic like an islander that the meaning of his words took a little longer to register.

“That was unwarranted”, he replied, jumping around until he managed to put on his pants. Even with their scant protection, he could already feel a small part of his aplomb returning. “I saved your life, against my brother’s better advice, and it is thanks to me that you have been safe, clothed and fed for all these years. If I had wanted to get rid of you, I would merely have let your brothers have their way with you.”

“You were not the only option I had left.” Now, Tal Elmar was looking at him again, and his eyes gleamed with the fierce spark that Isildur remembered from the mainland. Everything seemed to shift before his eyes, and suddenly he saw the young warrior of Agar that his men had found in the forest, the one he could not tear his glance from, wearing Númenórean clothes and hairstyle as some sort of outlandish disguise. “If you had refused me, I would have gone South to join a brotherhood. I would have spent the rest of my life raiding Númenórean caravans and slitting your people’s throats.”

Isildur swallowed. At the moment, he was feeling the same sensations of three years ago, as if nothing he had done in between had mattered, or made the slightest difference.

“At least provided they did not slit your throat first, for looking like the enemy” he retorted forcefully, in an attempt to counter the weakness that was invading every limb of his body. “For that was your problem in Agar too, wasn’t it? Your own kin saw you as one of us. At least here you have a chance to be judged by your own merits.”

“Really?” Tal Elmar spat, his voice trembling with fury. “Well, let me tell you what I have achieved in these three years, Isildur. I have learned to speak your language properly, and to write it in both of your people’s scripts. I know your sacred texts, your history, the names of your gods, and your family tree all the way back to your Elven forefathers. Your sister taught me your table manners, your courtesies, and your father trained me in the Númenórean style of combat. All those merits I have achieved, and yet you will not judge me by them. For you, I will always be a barbarian, unworthy of you.”

“What?” Isildur’s eyes widened, and for a moment he was too shocked to speak. “What makes you think… I do not …” He threw his hands in the air, shaking his head in disbelief. There he had been, thinking that Tal Elmar would no longer dream of seeing him in such a way after he had lived among the Númenóreans, and there the young fool was, proving that he had understood absolutely nothing. He would always be a barbarian indeed, no matter how many scrolls he memorized- and the worst was that, deep down, the vile part of Isildur was relieved at his failure. “We already discussed this in Pelargir! If you have truly learned everything about my people, you know that we find this custom abhorrent, and your worth or lack of it has nothing to do with the issue.”

“That is not true! I did not find anything in your sacred texts about it. And I wanted to be very sure, so I asked the Lady Ilmarë, and she said…”

“You did what?” Isildur’s mind reeled. Now, everything made sense – her attitude earlier in the day had not merely been Isildur’s imagination or the wine making him see things that were not there. He did not know whether to feel angry or terrified at this knowledge. How much did his sister know?

“She said that she had found nothing, either”, Tal Elmar continued, as if he was not even aware of the effect of his words on his interlocutor. “There is an account of the customs of the Elves of the Blessed Realm, which your family revers as if it was law, but we read it together, and it only lays the rules for marriage.”

“That is because marriage is all there is.

“Is it? Is it all there is?” Suddenly, Tal Elmar’s eyes were on his body again, gazing directly at his arousal, pointing at it with a boldness that Isildur had never seen anywhere, much less in his marriage bed. His breath caught in his throat. “Then what is this?”

Something evil, Isildur wanted to say, but the words did not make it through his lips.

“A… barbarian custom”, he said instead, though even while he was speaking, he was fully aware that his own body was undermining his case. And of course, Tal Elmar had noticed.

“I have learned all your genealogies, Isildur. You are descended from the High Elves and the rulers of the Edain in an unbroken line, and there is not a drop of barbarian blood in you.” And like the disease which had killed thousands in Sor, this particular disease was pressing against his leg now, shattering the pride of the Númenóreans by proving that they were no better than the Peoples of Darkness; that their flesh and blood was no different from theirs. Their foolish attempt to imitate the immortal Elves had never looked as vain, as deluded and ridiculous as it did now.

“Tal Elmar, listen to me”, he tried for the last time, in a last, desperate attempt to find rationality where there was none. “If you are doing this because you think it is a necessary requirement to remain under my protection… if you are under the mistaken impression that I will turn you away if you do not submit to…”

“No!” The young man shook his head furiously, and before Isildur could gather his wits back, he began tearing his own clothes away. “As I said in Pelargir, I consider it a great honour.”

His naked limbs glistened under the moonlight, and his eyes were veiled by a cloud of desire which Isildur could no longer mistake for anything else. Surrendering to the irrationality at last, he took off the scarce clothing he had managed to put on in his previous transports of modesty and knelt on the sand, pulling Tal Elmar down with him. There, he began kissing him as he had kissed Irissë on their marriage bed, but the young man’s moans ignited a fire through his body of which she had seen nothing but the weakest embers. Strangely enough, at this highest juncture of his shame, he no longer felt guilty of anything he was doing. It was as if his body and soul were too full to take this emotion, and even the thought of his wife seemed oddly detached, as if she did not belong to the same world as Tal Elmar and him.

As they kissed under the starry firmament of Rómenna, a familiar shape hovered briefly over them, gazing at them in quiet satisfaction before it vanished into thin air.

 

 

The Struggle

Read The Struggle

When Isildur walked into the Sea, he was not merely trying to get rid of the physical evidence of what had taken place on the beach. He was also hoping that its cold embrace would cleanse his soul, and that he would emerge from the waves as the man he had been before this, ready to take the path up the rocky cliff and walk into his wife’s bedroom. But all the water in the world would not have been enough to wipe that stain, and Isildur had always been terrible at outrunning his ghosts. Even as he lay on the surf, panting from the effort of swimming, the haunting images filled his mind, and the knowledge that they were not in his imagination anymore, that he had crossed the line into touching what he should never have touched, feeling what he should never have felt, and tasting what he should never have tasted, brought a dull yet growing panic which he knew would erupt in his consciousness at one moment or another.

Isildur, for all his unnatural urges, had never had the faintest idea of how they were meant to be assuaged. Tal Elmar was the one responsible for turning a vague desire into something quite definite and specific. In the land of Agar, men went about this sort of thing openly, whether by the fireside while on patrol or after getting drunk on a feast, an attitude which contrasted sharply with the thick veil of shame and secrecy they drew over their marital relations. This paradoxical behaviour –Isildur could not help but remember the stories told in Umbar about Middle-Earth Men learning everything backwards- had resulted in a young man like Tal Elmar teaching him how to go about everything, while he probably did not even know what a woman looked like. And if his… if his moans were any indication, he did not seem particularly interested in knowing just yet.

Isildur shuddered, setting to the task of putting his clothes on. Even this simple task unnerved him, as it forced him to remember why his pants had been so carelessly thrown aside, away from the rest of the pile, or what had come afterwards. He wondered if he would ever be able to set this aside, if he could still act as Isildur, son of Elendil from the house of Andúnië, and be the leader of the Faithful one day. If he could be the father of a lineage to inherit his noble blood and carry his name. All of a sudden, he saw his entire family standing before him, their faces livid and their accusing glances set on his. You are accursed, they said. The shadow is upon you, and because of you the blood of Andúnië is spent, and its lineage broken. The Faithful will be leaderless, and all that will remain of the men of Númenor is the seed of evil.

Feeling the long-delayed terror shake his limbs, Isildur stood up on the surf. In his state, he could not see anything around him, and he walked on his way home as a blind man, stumbling through the darkness. He could easily have taken a wrong turn of the dangerous path up the cliff and fallen to his death, but somehow, a providential instinct was able to carry him to the doorstep of the Lord of Andúnië’s house. There, this same instinct carried him past the guards and across endless corridors and stairs, until he opened the door of Irissë’s chambers and found her lying on her bed, alone.

He took a sharp breath, letting his gaze trail over her prone form. Her curls had been thoroughly combed, and set to flow down her left shoulder in a charming cascade. Her clothing, scant but chosen with great care, favoured her eyes, and her face was no less oiled and powdered than it had been for the official reception. She must have looked quite striking an hour ago, he thought, before she started nodding off and part of her hair was flattened against the pillow and the makeup formed a dark stain under her left eye. He stopped in his tracks, wondering how could everything and everyone he had met on his way be nothing but an undefined blur, while her defects stood like huge flaming signals before his sight.

“I am late”, he heard his mouth say. “I lost track of time.”

Out of an unfortunate instinct, Irissë rubbed her eyes, causing the makeup stain to spread even more.

“It is funny how this only happens when you are not with me”, she remarked, in a querulous voice. “I… I was about to put the lights off.”

“I am sorry”, he apologized, so soulfully that it amazed even himself. “That was very thoughtless of me.”

Her eyes widened, and for a moment she looked too stunned to say anything. Before she could regain her power of speech, and perhaps annoy him enough to compromise the determination which had brought him all the way here, Isildur bridged the distance between them to claim her lips in a kiss. Once the first shock was over, he could feel her responding to it, and then her arms closing around his back, like a trap, a fell voice whispered in his ear, but he could not afford to pay heed to it anymore. Instead, he allowed himself to be pulled down, until both were lying on the mattress, and she was caressing his face with a happy smile.

“I will forgive you everything” she panted, “as long as you kiss me like that.”

There was too much to forgive, Isildur thought, trying to erase from his mind that other face with sharper features, those other eyes, widening in pain and then in pleasure, the much harder body and the rougher, darker skin he had touched just an hour ago, in the darkness of the beach. Those would have to stay forever in the shadows, he realized, banished from the world of light, of righteous duty, and marriage. And if he could not feel anything while this woman writhed and panted under him, he would have to pretend that he did until the Doom took him.

Even as he was brought to climax inside her, however, Isildur could still feel the other eyes fixed on him, and it was Tal Elmar’s face that he saw in his dreams.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Irissë looked happy this morning. She was nice to everyone, even to her sister, and there was a new spring to her step, which was a rather puzzling contrast with her attitude from yesterday. Whatever had transpired after the feast was over, it did not appear to have turned to her disadvantage, though Ilmarë would need to see Isildur before she was ready to make conjectures.

Her wish was fulfilled soon afterwards, as her brother himself came looking for her in her chambers. The moment she saw the look in his eyes, she was aware that it would not be a courtesy visit, so she set her book aside and silently gathered her wits to face whatever it was that awaited.

Isildur did not waste his time on roundabout pleasantries.

“You know.” It was not even a question. “Tal Elmar told me that you had helped him search the laws and customs of the Eldar, looking for information on how they felt about… on how they saw…”

Though he had started strong, his determination soon floundered at the unsurmountable obstacle of having to speak the words aloud. Ilmarë took advantage of this, and seized the initiative before he could recover.

“Yes”, she replied. “They were remarkably unhelpful on the matter, or so he seemed to believe.”

“Are you going to tell anyone?”

Ilmarë frowned.

“Tell what? That a barbarian who is used to men being… affectionate with one another in his tribe has developed feelings for you? That should be nobody’s business, unless…” Her gaze was fixed on Isildur’s, who promptly looked away, and the truth erupted in all its glory. “Unless you have acted upon it. You have, haven’t you? Last night, you...” She swallowed, her throat suddenly dry. “You did it.”

Isildur had not looked so vulnerable in her presence since the death of Malik, and even then he had done his best to hide his feelings from her, for he considered himself responsible for her suffering.

“I also did my duty to Irissë. I will not stop until she bears my heir, and then I will cherish her as the mother of my child. She will never have any reason to complain about me, I swear it on my honour.”

“Because that is a woman’s dearest wish, to bear the children of a man who refers to marital relations as ‘duty’”, Ilmarë snorted, but she regretted her impulse as soon as she saw him wince as if he had been struck.

“So”, he said, after a while. “Are you going to tell anyone now?”

The daughter of Elendil shook her head.

“No. You did not tell anyone about Malik and me, and I have not forgotten. You protected us, even convinced him to return to me after he panicked about our lifespans. Even though… even though…” Realization dawned upon her in a strange, dull manner, as if a part of her had known all along. “Even though you loved him.”

He looked down, too ashamed to meet her eyes, and for the first time in so many years, she was truly sorry for him.

“I was not aware of it at the time, I swear.”

“But it hurt you to see us together.” She would not phrase it as a question, either.

“It… bothered me”, he admitted, in a low voice. “Greatly. But I thought it was for other reasons. To be honest, anyone else in my place would hardly have needed an excuse to be upset at his sister giving herself to his peasant friend in secret while stubbornly refusing to consider all the dangers involved.”

“And yet you had a chance to end it, and you pushed him back into my arms instead.” It was almost eerie, how they could discuss Malik as calmly as if he was sitting in the next room, waiting for them to join him. The thought gave her a sudden knot in her throat.

Isildur still refused to look at her.

“He loved you. He could not live without you, that much was clear. And when I saw his unhappiness, I could not… I did not… I needed him to be happy.” He took a long, tortuous intake of breath. “Until I killed him.”

“Something for which I was never able to forgive you until now.” Her voice was even smaller than his; ashamed, she did a conscious effort to gather back her composure. “But he always made his own choices, both when he chose to love me and when he chose to die for you. If only there could have been more of him!” She tried to smile, but the smile came across rather like a grimace. “One Malik was not enough for the both of us.”

Isildur opened his mouth as if to comment on this, then seemed to grow conscious of the strange turn their conversation had taken. Ilmarë could see the shifting emotions in his glance as he traced back his way to the present, and to the rampaging mûmak in the room.

“I cannot believe you. Here you are, talking to me as if we were two… women in love with the same man! “This wording seemed quite effective in bringing back all the shame and disgust he was feeling at himself. “How can you be so calm about this?”

A fair point, Ilmarë had to admit.

“I do not know. Maybe….” Her brow furrowed in thought. “Maybe I always knew, at some level. Do you know those puzzles, where you do not see the whole pattern until you set the last tile? That would be Tal Elmar”, she explained, needlessly. He stood up, and resumed his annoying pacing around the room, looking as if he was being pursued by an invisible demon.

“And what about our family? Won’t they be able to see the pattern as well?” He stopped in his tracks with a curse. “Oh, by all the Valar, Anárion! He has been fighting me about Tal Elmar since we first captured him in Agar. He suspects, I am certain of it. He has never accused me openly only because he has no evidence.”

“Then he will never have it from me!” Ilmarë cried passionately. “I am on your side, Isildur, I swear. As far as everyone else is concerned, nothing happened last night. Your wife was very satisfied with you, and this morning she let all the household know.”

“I will never stray again”, Isildur promised. He was sincere, Ilmarë supposed, but it was obvious that such a promise would be impossible to keep on the long term. Whatever the object of one’s deepest desire was, at the end of the day it made little difference: one’s very soul would crawl over the thorns of danger and the cinders of humiliation only to find a path towards happiness. So it had been with her, with Malik, and now with her beloved daughter, who knelt in the temple of Morgoth and braved the wrath of both the Sceptre and the Valar as the abomination’s whore. Still, Ilmarë was aware that Isildur would not bear to hear this from her lips now, so she kept her thoughts to herself.

“Do you know what?” she ventured much later, once Isildur had spent his pacing urges and was gazing listlessly at a window that gave to the garden below. “Tal Elmar was amazed at the notion that we followed the customs of a different race of beings instead of our own. I tried to explain that we had their blood in our veins, but we do have plenty of human blood as well. And what Elven blood we do have does not make us holier than anyone else. Just look at the King and the Queen.”

“I am second in line to the lordship of Andúnië, Ilmarë.” Isildur did not even turn back to look at her. “And Irissë is my lawfully wedded wife. If we do not even try to behave as if we were holier than the savages, then what is left?”

“Trying to sound like Anárion does not suit you at all”, she spat, suddenly angry. “And for your information, your wife is well aware that you do not love her and that you never wished to marry her, because she heard it from your lips on her wedding night. From your own lips, Isildur. All she ever wanted from you was kindness and respect, and you never gave her this, until the sheer force of your guilt compelled you. Perhaps you should take a moment to reflect upon that.”

Not even turning to look at her, Isildur left the room; a few moments later, she could hear a door being forcefully shut in the distance. Ilmarë sighed, trying to calm her own raging emotions. In the end, despite her better resolutions, she had gone too far with her advice, and gotten involved with things that were none of her business. All that her brother had needed to know when he came here was that she had no intention of betraying him, and that she would not bring up the subject again in his presence. So that was what she would do: from now on, she would say nothing, think, breathe nothing, and just allow the events to unfold.

But one day, she knew, sooner or later, he would be back.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

In all those years, he had not looked at her in the eye even once. This would never have bothered her beyond the Great Sea, where it was the proper way of things –after all, he did not belong to the warrior caste, and she was the daughter of a war chief and the wife of his spear-bearer-, but in the Island, everything was different. Here, the man she would not have thought of addressing before had turned into one of the few links that still connected her to her home, and, though she had never admitted as much in words, the one she cherished the most. Nerdak, who was her kin by marriage, remained haunted by the great shame of his capture and enslavement, and, though he had tried to erase it by swearing terrible oaths not to let the enemy harm a hair of her head, he was aware that she was humouring him when she pretended to believe him. This made him bitter, and not very good company. Kilakhini, meanwhile, exhibited the opposite behaviour: she felt no shame at all, no grief, and no resentment. This had already been her life since long before the Sea People came, and whether she had to nurse a chief’s beloved daughter, cook extravagant meals for a general, or even be given away as a wedding present to a demon, it made little difference to her as long as she was allowed to live. She had been helpful to Rini with her matter-of-fact acceptance of everything that fate had disposed for them, teaching her how to think like a slave, and anchoring her to a previously unknown world that would not sink or end for any reason, whether a mere humiliation or her father and mother being cut open before her eyes.

Still, Rini did not think she could be entirely part of this world, either. She loved her wetnurse, but she had been born a proud, fiery woman of warrior blood, and she was not so old that it had ceased burning inside her. The old woman could not understand this, the sole concern in her mind being how to keep her charge away from the knives and the fire. Though she would never dare say this aloud, she saw herself as Rini’s mother, but the woman who gave Rini life had not begged even when she was dragged before the altar of the Sea People’s god.

Those different attitudes often made her feel like an animal hide, of those the slaves would pull in opposite directions to stretch them and turn them into clothes. If she was polite to the Sea People, if she smiled to the Lady Fíriel or showed the slightest sign of weakness in front of the Demon Prince, Nerdak grew angry at her perceived betrayal of her ancestors. If she was proud or insolent, Kilakhini would weep and tear her hair, and predict all sorts of dire misfortune. Only Akahathzin would never dream of telling her how she should behave, or what she should do. Since the beginning, he had merely been there, gazing at his feet and not speaking unless spoken to. He was always helpful, whether she needed him to translate a conversation, fetch her something so the Sea People would not have to enter her room, or teach her the Sea People’s words. At some point he had admitted, with great shame, that he had been charged by the Demon Prince with making sure she would not plot anything or hurt herself, but Rini could not find it in her heart to be angry at him for it. After all, he was no warrior. Nerdak, who treated him with contempt, was a warrior, and yet even he must have submitted to the Sea People if he had been allowed to remain alive and toil in their fields. If he had been as brave as he claimed, they would have pronounced him useless and sacrificed him to their god, as they had done to countless others. Of course, Rini knew better than to confront him with this, but deep in his heart he knew it, too.

In the end, Rini was aware that she could not count on Akahathzin to protect her. But this had stopped bothering her, from the moment it became apparent that nobody else could. She had little use here for hot-headed men who painted their faces, and challenged the enemy with a firm spear-throwing hand. Her husband had been good at that, and he had died; his little brother had been bad at it, and he had been enslaved, and none of them had ever done anything to help her. The interpreter, on the other hand, had given her a voice, shown her the secrets of the language of her captors, and precious insights on how they thought and spoke. He could also talk to her in her tongue and remind her of home, without feeling entitled to anything in exchange.

That was why Rini had acquired the habit of whiling away the long and unbearable evenings in his company, playing some board game with him. Sometimes, she paused to tell him things about herself, and he listened in silence, nodding as reverentially as if he was listening to the Tale of Origins. Then, she would force him to reciprocate and tell her about his life from Before, asking him questions about his humble kinsmen and kinswomen, of his work as a trapper, and even the shocking stories that he and his companions told each other in the wilderness, as they pressed around the fire on cold nights.

At a certain point, she knew that the trapper must have been trapped, for he had fallen in the Sea People’s hands. But somehow, he always shut himself like a clam whenever Rini tried to learn more about that part of his life. She could have insisted, even ordered him to answer, but somehow she found herself more and more reluctant to cause him any discomfort she could avoid. She could live without satisfying her curiosity, she had told herself many times, just as for years she had lived with his habit of lowering his eyes and not meeting her glance. It was nothing personal, nothing she should take offense from.

And still, it bothered her. All of it did.

“Akahathzin”, she finally spoke one day. On the previous night, she had spent hours tossing and turning in her bed, thinking of the best way to phrase this without causing him either fear or hurt. “I am no longer the daughter of a warrior, and you are no longer the son of a peasant. That part of our lives ended when our kinsmen and kinswomen perished, and we were taken in the Sea People’s ships across the Great Sea.” She paused, wondering if this could ever work as she had intended. “I would be… very glad if you met my eye with yours, as a man who is worthy of my familiarity and confidence after the many services he has rendered me.”

His body tensed at the words, and the previous ease they had enjoyed departed as fast as a deer hunted with arrows. Rini struggled with her quickly accumulating frustration.

“I… “he stuttered, looking nothing like the eloquent man he could be when he was transforming the words of others into her own form of speech. “I beg my lady to forgive me. But… I am not worthy of my lady’s familiarity or-or confidence. I am not worthy of gazing at her in the eye. I am sorry. If I had been born to the highest lineage, or she to the lowest, this would not change.”

Now, Rini was confused.

“Why?”

He appeared to be bracing himself.

“Because, even though my lady is worthy of all honour and respect, and I often wish I could be of more service and help to her…”

“You are of great service and help to me!” she interrupted him hotly. But he did not allow himself to be sidetracked.

“Even though my lady is worthy of all this, and more, I do not serve her. Even now, as I sit before her in this table, in her rooms, another owns me, and I do his bidding. That is why I cannot look at her, even if she asks me to do so herself.”

Rini’s shock turned to anger, as the meaning of his words sunk in her mind. Meanwhile, the interpreter’s expression had become hollow, as if he was trying to forbid himself from feeling anything at all.

“I am aware that you serve the Demon Prince”, she said, the very name a curse on her lips. “We all do. And yet, I do not see why that would prevent you from looking at me. Has he forbidden you to do so?” He always affected kindness when he visited her, just like everyone else here –after all, they thought her too beautiful and valuable to be mistreated- but at the end of the day, he was not only one of the Sea People, but a demon who fed off other people’s souls, and she believed him capable of anything. Still, she had to admit she was hard pressed to guess what purpose this would serve, even considering the crookedness of his designs. Wasn’t Akahathzin supposed to keep watch over her?

Her speculation died in her mind when the interpreter spoke again.

“He has not. But…” His face was flushed scarlet, and all of a sudden, Rini understood everything. Her own cheeks blushed, as if they had turned into a mirror of his, which for once made her glad that he could not see her. “But my lady is his wife.”

“Oh.” She could think of nothing more articulate to say. “So you…oh.”

She could not even say it aloud. The angry ghosts of her ancestors, her parents, her husband filled her head, inextricably linked to visions of Nerdak’s rage and Kilakhini’s dismay. For some reason the demon’s inscrutable black eyes were not as vivid as any of those- he had never seemed remotely interested in claiming her as her husband-, though she was aware that they were first and foremost in Akahathzin’s own mind.

Damn them. All of them. He loved her. Yes, he loved her, and she had loved him for a while now, but she would never even get him to look at her. Taken by an irrational burst of anger at the unfairness of it all, she forgot herself and her better determinations for a moment to lash out at the only available target.

“Coward.” He did not contest the insult; just bowed and accepted it as if it was his due, which infuriated her all the more.

“Yes, my lady.”

“What did the Sea People do to you? Cut your manhood?”

The very instant the words left her mouth and she saw his wince, she wished she could take them back, not because of the offense itself, but because her question had touched the core of whatever terrible secret he did not want anyone to know. Unfortunately, it was already too late.

“No, my lady. They did not do any such thing.” He shivered, and Rini wanted nothing else than to pull him into her arms and hold him close until he cried his heart out.

“Forgive me”, she said instead, in a formal, remote voice that she had trouble to recognize at her own. “My heart was unjust, and my tongue too swift. It is not because of you that we find ourselves in this situation, and I do not blame you for it. I merely…” Here, despite her precautions, the remoteness wavered and died, betraying some of the feelings underneath. “I merely wish it did not have to be so.”

For the first time since the Demon Prince had appointed him to watch over her movements, Akahathzin made no attempt to follow her as she left the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

In her dream, Fíriel was standing at the foot of the altar of the New Temple of Armenelos. Around her, she could see priests carrying ropes, golden blood basins, knives, and for a moment of panic she thought they were there for her. But she whispered to herself that it was not possible, that Gimilzagar would not allow it, that Ar Zimraphel would protect her. After a while, those reassurances allowed her to breathe a little more easily, and she stood on the points of her feet to gaze ahead, where the crowd of praying faithful parted to reveal a throng of servants of Melkor and their struggling victim. Fíriel could not recognize her at first, for she was not dressed in silk and silver thread, but in a simple white robe, her long, glossy hair falling dishevelled over her shoulders and covering her face instead of artfully arranged around a crown of gems. But when she screamed, Fíriel’s innards clenched, and she had the sudden feeling that she had been here before, watching this same scene –that she already knew how it was going to end.

The intensity of the chants increased, until they covered the unfortunate woman’s curses. She was being dragged up the stairs now, with great difficulty, despite the number of her captors. Fíriel was told to step back while they tied her to the stone altar, to avoid being trampled or hit by mistake. Once they were done, however, a cold hand pressed her shoulder, pushing her forwards.

It was then that she realized that her hand was holding a sacrificial blade.

“I curse you, Fíriel” Valeria hissed, trying to raise her chin so she could look at her in the eye. “I curse you for eternity. As surely as mountains are rooted to this earth, you shall see, hear, taste, smell and touch nothing but darkness and ashes. Your beauty will wither, your love will die, everyone you ever loved will perish, and you will be the last of them.”

“Hurry!” one of the priests said. “Kill her before she can curse us all.” Because curses on Fíriel did not matter; after all, she was the abomination’s whore, and she was already cursed.

Slowly, Fíriel approached the raging woman, who writhed in panic when she saw the blade. At some point, she must have stopped in her tracks, and someone pushed her, just as an indolent tiger would be pushed towards its hapless victim in the ancient games of the Haradrim. Upon turning back, she realized it was the Queen. Her black eyes seemed to swallow every light in the place, reflecting nothing but darkness.

“Do it”, she said. “Do it, and live.”

Fíriel woke up in her chambers, her heart beating swiftly against her chest. Her forehead was wet, her eyes swollen, and the air smelled strongly of smoke. The dream had been real, the mad thought insinuated itself in her mind. She had killed Valeria, and then passed out.

Someone was shaking her awake, a set of hands that belonged to a woman. The Queen, she thought, but it was not her. It was Isnayet, and she looked as terrified as Fíriel herself felt.

“Hurry, my lady, hurry! There is not a moment to lose!”

Still too perturbed by her dream to react to the dangers of the waking world, she let herself be pulled out of bed, out of the room, and then through the corridors. As they walked, she became aware that the smoke was real, and that at some areas it grew thick enough as to veil her sight. Darkness and ashes, the morbid thought gathered in her mind, nothing but darkness and ashes.

Suddenly there was loud bang, as if the walls themselves were falling, and panicked screams that seemed to come from a distance.

“What is happening?” she wanted to ask, but as soon as she opened her mouth, the smoke got in and she started coughing. Isnayet held her tight, and though her pulse did not falter, her eyes were red and swollen, and her face flushed. As they stumbled into one of the main galleries, they came upon a group of women, who practically bumped into them in their hurry. They were also in their nightclothes, and it was an eerie sight for Fíriel to see so many denizens of the Western Wing of the Palace of Armenelos in plain white, instead of wearing the multi-coloured dresses she was used to. They looked like ghosts, she thought.

Following them, Isnayet and Fíriel finally found their way into the open air of the large Flower Gardens. There, many others were already gathered; some invoking the Great Deliverer and the Queen of the Seas in prayer, others taking care of people who had passed out or -here, Fíriel did a horrified double take- were badly burned, and others merely staring wide-eyed at the fire which was engulfing a large part of the wing. She could hear men’s shouts coming from that place, not with the scattered, purposeless pattern of panicked stragglers, but forceful, and she deduced that the Guards must be fighting to contain its spread.

“Fíriel, you are safe!” It was Gimilzagar, rushing to embrace her as if he did not care anything about propriety. But what did propriety matter, in a place where nobody was even dressed? “Thank you, Isnayet. Thank you so much!”

The young woman blushed.

“I only did my duty, my lord prince.”

“Wh –what happened?” Fíriel asked, as soon as she trusted her voice to come out even enough. His features darkened.

“The fire spread from the Lady Valeria’s rooms.” Fíriel’s heart plummeted. “The rumour is that… she might have started it herself.”

I curse you, Fíriel. I curse you for eternity. The face of the Arnian lady, livid with fear and rage as she had been in her dream, floated hauntingly over Fíriel’s thoughts. The chilly night air, however, and the sight of Gimilzagar had awoken her enough to look behind those ghosts woven by her feverish imagination. She remembered the Lady Valeria as she had seen her, truly seen her last, her look haggard, and her beauty wasting away as her carefully arranged poise grew frayed around the edges. She had never recovered from that fateful night in Forostar, when her terror at the elements caused her composure to slip, and the Queen had seized the chance to tear her down as ruthlessly as a predator would tear down a deer that had stumbled in its mad run. Once, she had held sway over her own court of fashionable ladies, presiding over feasts and poetry recitals to which Fíriel was never invited. Fíriel had disliked her then, but once the ladies left her one by one, making excuses to avoid being dragged into her disgrace, she could not help feeling sorry. She had even gone as far as to intercede on her behalf before the Queen herself, but Ar Zimraphel had refused to listen.

In this Court, as in the world, people are what you allow them to become, she had explained to Fíriel. If we allowed her to have power and influence, one day she would feel entitled to dispose of you. I am protecting you, Fíriel, as I once promised you that I would.

Fíriel shuddered. She had felt dirty then, as if she had been the one being cruel to this woman, but now she felt even dirtier. If she knew anything about Ar Zimraphel, she must have foreseen this self-destructive madness, probably even pushed the unfortunate Arnian into it, regardless of the consequences. All to protect her. Slowly but surely, she was countering her husband’s manoeuvres against Fíriel with her own, which nobody could trace back to her, and those poor women were caught in the middle.

This thought brought a new, sudden terror to her mind.

“Gimilzagar, where is Khelened? And Rini?”

Khelened, as it turned out, had been one of the first to reach safety. Now, she was gazing in some interest as the wounded were taken care of, though she did not offer to help. Rini, on the other hand, was not there yet, though her chambers were being evacuated since before Fíriel arrived. From her long familiarity with his moods, the young woman could perceive that Gimilzagar was beginning to worry.

“There they are!” he said at last. Fíriel looked up, and saw a throng of coughing people stepping out into the air, driven by the Guards. Among them, she quickly distinguished Hazin, and the young barbarian who had been kin to Rini’s former husband. The head Guard bowed before Gimilzagar, and informed him that they had not been able to access the whole area because the fire was getting worse.

As he was still in the middle of his report, his grave voice was drowned by bloodcurdling screams. They came from Rini’s old wetnurse, whom a Guard was forcefully dragging across the veranda despite her furious struggles. In the years she had been acquainted with her, Fíriel had never seen this woman be anything but meek and pleasant.

“Poor woman. She wants to go back for…” The head guard’s voice faltered, and he looked down, suddenly refusing to meet Gimilzagar’s eye. “I… we tried… we did everything we could, my lord prince, but…”

The young barbarian, stronger and more agile than his fellow tribeswoman, had managed to evade his own Guards. He ran back towards the gate, but stopped in his tracks when he grew conscious of what lay beyond it. His face paled, and even from the distance that separated them, Fíriel could perceive his pain and hopelessness.

No. Not her, please, not her. At first, she did not know to which god she was praying, if to those of her forefathers, who had taken her offerings when she was a child, or the gods of Armenelos, whom everybody revered in the Palace. Then, she realized that it was Ar Zimraphel she was praying to. She did nothing to threaten me. She only wanted to be left alone.

All of a sudden, a commotion interrupted her strange prayer. Closer to her, someone else had rushed back towards the gate, but instead of stopping there he tied a piece of cloth over his nose and mouth and walked in.

It was Hazin. The short, stoutly-built and unwarriorlike interpreter, who cowered whenever someone raised their voice, had entered the furnace that had daunted both the Guards and the warrior without the slightest hesitation, as if he had been one of the heroes of old.

The young warrior seemed to be thinking along the same lines. First, he gazed at the retreating figure in sheer astonishment, then at the threshold itself, with an intensity where fear and shame seemed to be waging a fierce battle. Fíriel saw him tear his expensive clothes to cover his face, and let go of an ear-splitting warrior cry before he went in.

Unthinkingly, she sought for Gimilzagar and held to him, unable to care for anything except her immediate need for comfort and reassurance. He held her against his chest, where she could feel his heart beating as swiftly as hers. The head Guard looked down in embarrassment, she did not know if at the display, at the knowledge of his own incompetence, or both, and for an unending, unbearable eternity of time, no one spoke a word.

Finally, the wetnurse’s cries put an end to the long wait. Both Fíriel and Gimilzagar tensed, and like a resort, the Guard stood on his feet and began barking orders. Hazin was stumbling blindly like a man who had been stabbed, a heavy, unresponsive bundle propped against his back. He seemed to be badly hurt and barely conscious, but Fíriel was not allowed to approach, so she could not see the extent of the damage. The one who looked in better shape was the young barbarian, who had been pulling him by his clothes when both emerged from the threshold. As soon as his eyes fell upon the old woman, he summoned her in their language, and she immediately knelt over the bundle that was Rini, who did not move. Fíriel could hear her keening wails, halfway between weeping and song.

“Move”, Lady Khelened barked. She cut an impressive figure, her features shining in the half-light like those of the ebony statues of the Khandian gods. Everybody obeyed her, the guards, the young man, even the old woman, who had seemed beyond caring for anything that happened around her. Then, Fíriel saw her lean over Rini, but there were too many people in her line of vision and Gimilzagar was holding to her like a limpet. She was so mad with worry that when she heard people gasp, the first thing she thought was that the Pearl of the North was dead.

“She is alive”, Gimilzagar said, but he had to be lying to spare her the grief. How could he be so foolish to think that he could prevent her from finding out? After a moment of confusion, however, she could perceive the wonder, the marvel in his voice. “She… she is alive.”

She deserved to live”, Khelened spat, turning her back to both of them and disappearing before anyone could thank her.

Lady Rini’s chest was shaking, and she was pale and unconscious. Her beautiful yellow hair was black with soot and cinders, her clothes consumed enough to reveal the burns in her legs. There was filth around her, as if she had just vomited, but no one seemed to even notice the mess, and Fíriel could not bring herself to care. Slowly, she knelt to caress her forehead, sobbing in relief.

Meanwhile, Gimilzagar had retreated from her vicinity. It took her a long time to realize that he was not there, but once she did, her gaze immediately sought for him. He was standing close by, leaning over Hazin’s body. Fíriel tiptoed over the people who had gathered around Rini, until she managed to join him.

She gasped. The interpreter was half-conscious, but his breathing came out in intermittent bursts, and she realized it was from the pain. The left side of his face had received terrible burns, and his eye was a small white mass fixed upon nowhere, surrounded by a crust of charred flesh. His arm, which they had crossed over his chest, was also burned, and at this moment the healers were spreading a yellowish paste upon it, as gently as they were able. Gimilzagar was staring fixedly at him, forcing his good eye to gaze into his. The Prince’s lips muttered voiceless words, and Fíriel could see the barbarian’s breathing relax with them. She guessed that Gimilzagar must have invaded his mind to put pleasant thoughts in it, powerful enough to distract him from his suffering.

“He will live”, one of the healers informed Fíriel. “The burns are less deep than they look. Barbarians have thicker hides than the Court ladies of Armenelos, it seems. But he will lose the eye”, he added, as if as an afterthought.

Fíriel nodded, swallowing deeply. She could not distract Gimilzagar now, and neither could she interfere with what those people were doing. Feeling like a hindrance, she stood up, and gazed at the poor man from afar.

It was so unfair. Had he not suffered enough in his life? Had he not lost enough? Now, because of the Queen’s designs and the final, mad act of a haunted woman, he was in pain once again. Nobody would have blamed him if he had just stayed put and refused to engage in heroics to save Rini, even though she would probably –no, surely- be dead if not for him. And still, he had braved the flames for her sake, of his own free will. Something in Fíriel’s chest constricted at the thought.

“My lady…” Hazin’s lips moved, and he took a shuddering gasp of breath. “No.”

“Do not worry”, Gimilzagar whispered, keeping the eye contact despite the man’s sudden move. “She is safe. She is well. Thanks to you, Hazin.”

The barbarian closed his eyes.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

When Lady Irimë had sent for her, Ilmarë was not yet sure of what the reason for the summons could be. Her sister-in-law had an unfortunate penchant for blaming her for anything her elder daughter did, even if Ilmarë herself had not been near the crime scene. Still, when she crossed other members of the house of Andúnië on her way to Irimë’s quarters, including her own mother and father and the Lord of Andúnië himself, her remaining doubts vanished.

Again. That woman was proving to be just as fruitful as the mother she had claimed not to resemble in the slightest. Perhaps the third time would be the charm, and she would bear Anárion the heir they so clearly desired, she thought.

Once they were all gathered in the antechamber, a servant came by to guide them to Lady Irimë’s own bedroom, with as much ceremony as if her sister-in-law had been the Queen of Númenor in the Palace of Armenelos. She was sitting on her bed, propped against silk pillows, her daughters standing on one side, and a proud Anárion with a strangely quiet Irissë on the other. Ilmarë could see Mother lean closer to Father and grab his arm with a warm smile. Lord Amandil, too, seemed in a rare good mood today, and Ilmarë felt almost guilty for her own indifference. Every new child born to the house of Andúnië was a cause for rejoicing, and if hers had not been so, it had not been the fault of any of the people who stood there with her.

“My dear husband and I have gathered you here to tell you that I am with child again”, the announcement eventually came. “If my calculations do not fail me, it will be due for early Spring.”

“That is excellent news, my dearest granddaughter”, Lord Amandil spoke. From the corner of her eye, Ilmarë could see Faniel shifting from one foot to the other, about to burst from excitement. “They must be celebrated, for any child born in these dark times is a sign of hope for…”

“Wait.” Surprised, Ilmarë looked at Irissë, who had just stepped forwards to interrupt the lord of Andúnië. She was a chatty woman, even annoyingly so in her loving husband’s opinion, but she had never gone as far as to commit such a glaring breach of etiquette. Irimë frowned in disapproval.

“Irissë…” she began, but her sister did not let her finish, either. She did not look sheepish at all, the daughter of Elendil realized in no little shock. Her eyes had a new spark to them, which made her whole expression glow, and as she let her gaze trail across them all, she seemed about to burst from excitement and pride.

“My husband and I have an announcement, too. Our child will also be born in early Spring.”

At first, the silence was absolute, until the first ripples of realization began spreading across the audience. The lord of Andúnië opened and closed his mouth several times, then stood up to engulf Isildur in an embrace. Mother gasped with joy, Lindissë asked if that meant they would be twins, Anárion stared at his brother in what looked like genuine surprise, and Isildur looked rather pleased with himself.

“Congratulations, Isildur”, Ilmarë told him. As she, too, pretended to pull him into an embrace, she tilted her head to the side and whispered in his ear. “You have won your first battle.”

He disengaged himself from her, so he could throw an arm over Irissë’s shoulders. They almost looked like the perfect couple, Ilmarë thought, so happy and excited about their first child. She looked around, wondering if Tal Elmar was there somewhere, but of course he was not a member of the family, so he had not been invited.

“We appreciate your good wishes, Ilmarë”, he bowed, graciously. “I am sure you will be there to help us with the challenges that lie ahead.”

Ilmarë’s smile was just as perfect as his.

“Of course I will.”

Farewells

Read Farewells

Near the end of the year, on a breezy day of late Autumn, Lord Númendil announced his decision to depart the Circles of the World. He was the first since his sister Artanis to lay down his life in the house of Andúnië, and though his wish was to leave quietly, the news caused a great commotion. Everybody tried their best to convince him to delay his departure, telling him that he looked hale and strong, that the house of Andúnië still needed him, and that in a few months he would be able to see his great-great grandchildren, but he just shook his head with a smile, as stubborn, in his own way, as his friend Yehimelkor had always been. When the time came to flee the approaching storm, he said, they should not waste their efforts saving him when there were so many innocents who deserved to live their own lives in full. He had lived a full life, himself: at two hundred and fifty, he had been witness to the reigns of four Kings and the lordship of four Lords of Andúnië, but he did not want to be there when the world he had known and loved collapsed around him.

In the end, he expressed a wish to talk privately to Amandil, who had done his best to appear stoic while the others gave rein to their emotions. Once that they were alone, Númendil stood before him, and formally requested permission to go sit by the cliffs at dawn.

“You are free to go wherever you want, Father. This is your house”, Amandil replied. “It has always been.”

Númendil gazed at the marble floor, a little ruefully.

“But my body will need to be carried all the way back. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Really sorry, my son.”

It was not like Númendil to leave things unsaid - and yet, it struck Amandil that this apology was not for the perceived lack of consideration in leaving a corpse so far away from its proper deathbed.

“I… will not pretend that I do not wish I could change your mind” he spoke, after a long pause in which he tried his best to steel himself for this exchange. “Your presence by my side since you returned from Lindon has been a gift and a blessing, Father. I do not know what I would have done if you had not been here to… anchor me.” His voice hesitated slightly, in spite of his best efforts, and he shook his head in shame. “But I know it would be unreasonable to oppose your will. This has always been the way of our people, and while we keep it and look at Death in the face we will never be persuaded to share in the folly of the Kings, and doom our people in a misguided attempt to escape it.”

And still, he could not help but think, there was a thin line between bravery in the face of death and cowardice in the face of life, as Yehimelkor might have said if he was among them now. If he was to be completely honest with himself, some part of him yearned to sit with his father before the rising sun, and flee the great evil that was coming for them. He was not indispensable, either, for Elendil was more than ready to take the reins, and he had adult sons who were founding settlements and giving birth to the new generation that would carry their bloodline through dark times. He also had a way with people which Amandil lacked -more often than not, he had the feeling that his own family saw him as an unreasonable tyrant who drove them relentlessly to work on his mad projects. But he had never been good at explaining his visions, and he had not been raised to rule.

“Without the unreasonable tyrant, many people would not be alive now, and many more would die in the future” Númendil said gravely. “You still have some important task to perform, my son, that no one else may do. Elendil’s time will come, but not yet.”

“I was just wondering idly”, Amandil replied, uncomfortable at his morose thoughts being revealed. “I have no plans to give away my life anytime soon. Besides, if I felt it was my time to die, I do not think I would choose to sit and watch the sun rise. I would do something that only a dying man who no longer cares for his own life could do. Like riding to Armenelos, and telling Pharazôn to his face what I think of him and his actions. Or- or sailing to Valinor, and asking the Valar why they have forsaken those who honour them.”

Númendil stared at him, then shook his head with a chuckle.

“I have no doubt that you will find some use even for your last breath. That is the kind of man that you are. I, however, am a man of peace, who was always ill-suited for these turbulent times. I only wish for a quiet death, and for my son to be by my side to hold my hand.” He sobered, and suddenly his expression was hesitant again, almost as if he believed that Amandil would be angry or refuse his request. “Will you be there?”

Amandil had to swallow a large lump from his throat.

“Wh- yes, Father, of course.” He sighed, wondering how to put in words how he felt. “I know what is coming, Father, and sad as it makes me, I do not begrudge you your decision. Believe me, because it is the truth. I- I have seen too many loved ones die old, in great pain like Yehimelkor, or in mindless fear like Amalket. I have also seen many people die by the sword, by knife or by fire. I would never wish that on you. And- “He was not sure if he should go on, but when he looked into his father’s eyes, he had the certainty that Númendil already knew what he was going to say. “And I also have much reason to seek your forgiveness, more than you have to seek mine. You sacrificed fifty years of happiness in the land of your beloved Elves and returned to the Island for my sake alone.”

Númendil looked at him reproachfully.

“You cannot blame yourself for a gift freely given. But if you feel the very human urge to do so, please remember who am I, and answer this question: where do you think I would have been happier, sharing hardships with my own flesh and blood, or living a comfortable life among strangers?”

Amandil did not answer. He had always been terrible at debating with his father, especially because Númendil had the habit of being so right that every other argument appeared foolish by comparison.

How was he going to live without him?

Before he was aware of what was happening, the lord of Andúnië found himself being pulled into an embrace. Too engrossed in his own emotions to retain the barest shred of self-control, he surrendered to it, allowing his shaking body to be held by arms whose grip was surprisingly strong for such a lean and unwarriorlike man. And then, for a moment, he was back in time, and he had never been dragged away by Azzibal’s men to become a priest in a dark temple, or sired a child in secret, or sailed to the mainland to kill other Men. He had never made the wrong choice when a man who called himself his friend needed his support to take the Sceptre, seen through the poisonous snake crawling at Pharazôn’s feet, or left the Court and his own lands to live a life of exile by the Eastern shores. None of those things had taken place yet, and he was still a child, a child who had just learned about death and was trying to be brave about it, though his father alone saw through the pretence. And, even though he had told himself a thousand times that he would never look weak in front of others, Númendil’s comfort had undone him utterly.

For the last time.

That night, as he tossed and turned in his bed awaiting the fateful first light that heralded the dawn, Amandil knew that, no matter how many years were left to him on this world of mortals, he would never cry again.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“Oh, look, mistress, look!” Kilakhini clapped her hands like a young maiden, as she leaned back to inspect her handiwork. “A truly dashing man!”

Akahatzhin looked down unhappily. He was feeling self-conscious and also quite embarrassed, but Rini had grown so used to this attitude by now that she barely noticed it anymore. He had looked the same when she insisted on sleeping by his bedside and nursing him back to health with the sole help of her wetnurse, and when Rini kissed his forehead or caressed the few tufts of hair that remained to him, his longing to disappear under the covers was so raw that she had to retreat, feeling an indefinable mix of pity and frustration. Kilakhini had claimed that he would feel better once he was no longer so ugly, and though Rini did not think it was so simple, she had to confess that she would not mind if he looked a little more like the Akahatzhin from before the fire. The Sea People had a curious contraption called a wig, which was made of false hair, and she had given orders to make one that looked exactly like the hair he had lost. The unpleasant sight of his lost eye had been covered with an eyepatch, and most of the other burns were in places that the Sea People usually hid behind their clothing. Now, there was only the large purple blotch in his face, which even now he was running his fingers across as if it could somehow wear off from an excess of touching.

“It looks like warrior paint.” These words had not come from Kilakhini, and after a brief double take, Rini realized it was Nerdak who had spoken. He had entered the room in silence, unnoticed to all three of them until now. Akahatzhin stared at him as if he had just seen the ghost of an ancestor, or of whoever came to the hearths of peasants during the Long Night. “You are a warrior now. The gods themselves have marked you so those who see you will never forget who you are.”

The interpreter looked shaken by those words, and he started bowing low at the young man, who made a warding gesture with his hand.

“Among warriors, the brave bow to no one.”

Rini’s breath caught on his throat. Her own eyes were starting to prickle, and it was all she could do to prevent herself from surrendering to emotion. She gave Nerdak a tremulous smile.

“Well spoken.”

He just shrugged, and left the room as suddenly as he had arrived. Akahatzhin followed his departing form with his eyes –his eye, she still had to remind herself-, looking very much in turmoil.

“And spoken truly!” Kilakhini added, with a sententious nod. “If we were back home, my master would not have hesitated to give his daughter to you. A man who will brave fire and death for the sake of a woman deserves everything from her.”

The interpreter winced at those words, and Rini found herself wincing in sympathy.

“Leave. I wish to speak with Akahatzhin in private.”

“Yes, mistress”, the old woman bowed before she went the same way as Nerdak. Akahatzhin looked down again, but instead of feeling angry at his stubbornness, Rini laid a gentle hand on his cheek.

“She has a point. You saved my life, this should give you at least the right to look at me.”

He shook his head violently.

“That might have been so back home, my lady. But we are in the Island of Númenor, where I am still a slave and my lady is still the Prince’s wife, and he knows.”

“What?” Rini was not used to hear him speak in such a forceful way. “What do you mean?”

Akahathzhin shuddered. It was the first time in weeks that he was not under covers, and still, it did not look like he was reacting to the cold.

“Back when I took my lady out of the fire, I… remember being in great pain from the burns in my flesh, and almost unable to breathe.” His gaze was veiled by a haunting look, and she knew that it was all coming back to him as he spoke. “I was lying on the courtyard, delirious, when, all of a sudden, he… he took my mind. It- it was as if I was not myself anymore. As if somebody else had crawled under my skin. Then, the pain dulled, as if I could no longer feel my own body, and I was relieved because it was gone, but at the same time, I was terrified. I did not want him to see… I did not want him to know…”

A cold travelled down Rini’s spine, as she remembered the horror stories she had been told about the Demon Prince and his sorcery. A tiny part of her felt the urge to retreat from Akahatzhin, who might not even be wholly himself after the demon had crawled under his skin, but she reacted against it.

Of course he was himself. He was still the same stupid, fool of a peasant who had no idea of how to act like a hero even after becoming one. Who had lost an eye and risked his life to carry back the body of a woman, without knowing if she was dead or alive. Didn’t he deserve the same consideration from her?

“But, if this is so…” She needed to make a great effort to put her thoughts in order at this juncture. “If he could possess you, and then retreat into his own body again, and he saw that you… that you… “Why couldn’t she say the words aloud even now? “Why did he let me nurse you back to health? Unless…” Her mind was suddenly agitated by suspicion, and she remembered what the Lady Fíriel had said to her that day, when Rini was still trying to understand why she had been brought to the Island. “Unless he is trying to be rid of me. Like he was rid of the Lady Valeria, and that other woman who died before I came! He said it himself, ‘you have become my responsibility now’. He resents the King for forcing him to take me as wife, and he wants me gone. Oh, Akahatzhin, do you think he has spies on us? That he keeps us under watch?” He could even be gazing at her from behind his companion’s eye. She shivered at the thought.

But then again, she told herself angrily, even if this was so – what was she afraid of? They had already done so many things to her, that there was little else left for them to do. Not long ago, when her people were conquered, her father and mother sacrificed and her husband killed in battle, she had begged for death, and they had refused her that mercy. They kept her under surveillance, hid every object that could help her take her own life before she was delivered to the Demon Prince. And now that there was a possibility that she would be granted her wish, would she choose to cling stubbornly to a life of captivity, away from the lands of her people and the graves of her fathers, even at the cost of whatever brief instant of happiness she could still have? Would she prove such a great coward?

Suddenly feeling as reckless as a warrior in his initiation day, Rini leaned forwards, and kissed Akahatzhin in the mouth.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“Fíriel.” He had swept inside her rooms before they had the time to announce him, the women who should have preceded his arrival all following him in an almost comical struggle to keep his pace. When he dismissed them, some could not manage to hide their disgruntled expressions, especially once they could see that she was only half-dressed  -at least according to Court standards. But she was the abomination’s whore, and the current layers she was wearing would be enough to get a peasant of Rómenna through the winter, so she focused on his obvious turmoil instead. “Fíriel, I need your help.”

“Help with what?” He sat on the chair which the lady who had been doing her fingernails had just vacated. “Oh, please, my lord prince, do take a seat.”

The irony of her statement did not even register.

“It concerns Rini.”

She sobered at once.

“What is it?” Whatever the woman might think of her, since those early days a part of Fíriel had remained ready to do anything for the barbarian she had once known as the Pearl of the North.

“She is in love with Hazin.”

Fíriel blinked.

“Oh.” She remembered the night of the fire, when the interpreter had braved the flames to rescue his lady. Back then, she recalled feeling a wistful sadness mixed with the relief of her escape, because deep inside she knew that nothing but love could have inspired this kind of bravery. But how could such a proud and fair princess love a lowly interpreter who had lost an eye and was marred forever by fire?

“She already loved him”, Gimilzagar explained. “And I think barbarians must have somewhat… different standards than Númenóreans on what constitutes marring. Among them, those who are not badly scarred or have lost some limb are just too young to have been in enough battles.”

Fíriel did not even have the time to feel relieved on Hazin’s behalf.

“But what will happen to them if this becomes known?” A horrible thought occurred to her. “What will the Queen do?”

Back when the Princess of Rhûn had been framed for the attempted murder of Fíriel, the pattern had not been clear, but after what happened to the Lady Valeria, Fíriel had realized that Ar Zimraphel was getting rid of anyone who could pose a threat to her. Rini had never wanted Fíriel out of the way as the others did, but what if the Queen thought otherwise? She had nearly died in that fire, a fire that the Queen had allowed to happen, and she might have survived the flames only to be caught in a deadlier snare.

“If this is indeed her plan, trying to hide things from her will be a futile endeavour, as she already knows.”

Fíriel swallowed. Her throat tasted like bile, but she refused to surrender to discouragement. Slowly, the vague lines of a terrifying plan began forming in her mind, and though she flinched from the thought, she also knew that she would do whatever was required of her. Once upon a time, she had been afraid of Ar Zimraphel, but after everything she had learned and witnessed she had come to the realization that, for what reason ever, she was the person who had less to fear from her.

“I will speak to the Queen. She has taken a liking to me, enough to protect me from all those who wish me harm, even from the King himself. If I try to learn what is in her mind, she may be angry, but she will not do anything to me.”

Gimilzagar nodded. His kiss was warm and probing, yet also tight with repressed worry.

“Thank you, Fíriel.”

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“You could know what is in my mind without the need to grovel before me and engage in subterfuges”, Ar Zimraphel greeted her as soon as Fíriel was admitted to her presence, and even before she had finished bowing before her. At her gesture, every woman in the room stood at one and abandoned the room, their heavy silks dragging against the tiled floor. “But your Southron blood rules you, and you are powerless to resist it. It may not seem so when one looks at your face, but you are less from the line of Andúnië than they all think. Like your grandfather, who was his mother through and through. Those eyes, those traits that you all inherit are like a veil that keeps the truth of your heritage hidden from you.”

Fíriel raised her eyes and accepted the silent invitation to sit, refusing to be sidetracked from her purpose. Sometimes, Ar Zimraphel would drop the kind of information that made her interlocutors forget about what they were going to say and grow lost in different concerns. Though, at least, this should mean…

“… that I will not merely dismiss you or throw you out from my chambers, yes. I am glad to see that you have finally realized your place in this Palace, my child.” The Queen’s smile was so beautiful and warm that, if only Fíriel could have forgotten Valeria’s haunting look, she might have believed her the kindest person on Earth.

“Why do you persist in seeing my kindness to you as opposed to my treatment of them? They are but two sides of the same coin, Fíriel. To protect you, I have to destroy all obstacles in your path.”

This gave the young woman the opening that she needed.

“My Queen, you were right about the Princess and the Lady Valeria. They were threats to me, and if they had managed to gain enough footing in the Palace, my life would have been in danger.” She took a deep breath. “But the Lady Rini is different. She does not even pretend to love the Prince, and she does not want anything from him. In her innermost of hearts, she only wishes to be free.”

“Free to love that ugly, one-eyed barbarian peasant, yes. To think she would prefer him to a prince of Númenor!” Ar Zimraphel shook her head, vaguely scandalized. “But an animal would prefer the lowliest specimen of its own kind to the most magnificent of another, and so it is also with Men, I suppose.”

Fíriel stayed silent at this. As she and Gimilzagar had deduced, the Queen was very much aware of everything that had transpired+, but Ar Zimraphel would still not hear anything compromising from her own lips.

“Please, spare her, my lady”, she begged instead. “She means no harm either to the Prince or to me, of this I am certain. There is no need to be rid of her.”

“Oh, yes, there is.” Fíriel’s spirit sank. “But there should not be the need for me to do it, Fíriel. You are attached to her, and Gimilzagar feels responsible for her, and yet you stay there, idly wringing your hands and doing nothing while she seals her fate.”

The young woman blinked. Ar Zimraphel was often subtle in her speech, and yet this time, she had the impression that something crucial was escaping her.

The Queen sighed, as if exasperated by her slowness.

“Get rid of her, Fíriel. Make her disappear. You know how.” A perfect, ivory hand came to rest upon her callused one. “You have done it before.”

The young woman nodded tremulously.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“The Queen does not want Rini dead.” Gimilzagar was sitting on a chair, while she paced in agitated circles across his line of sight. “She wants her gone. Do you know what this means, Gimilzagar?”

The Prince followed her every movement with his eyes, like a snake would follow the movements of its charmer.

“That is not possible, Fíriel. The King would never allow her to depart the Palace, and if she did so against his will, she would be found, caught, and executed.”

“Not if they reach Rómenna and the lord of Andúnië’s protection. Do you remember those peasants from the Andustar? They did not stay in the Island, but took ship for the mainland to start a new life away from the reach of the Sceptre.”

“The King could not have cared less about those peasants, Fíriel. He will care rather more about my own wife, if only because of the scandal. Even the lord of Andúnië will think twice before taking her in, because if she should be found in Rómenna…”

“The King isn’t in the Palace half of the time. The Queen is on our side, and while she holds the Sceptre, she will turn a blind eye.”

“Will she?” Now, the Prince of the West seemed animated by a renewed energy. “After everything she has done, are you ready to trust her so easily, Fíriel? This could well be a ploy to get Rini killed. At least while she stays in the Palace, she will be alive.”

“No, Gimilzagar. She will not stay alive for long. And the Queen needs no ploys to bring that about. She is dooming herself.”

“Not if I send Hazin away.”

“What?” Fíriel stopped in her tracks, shocked at the cold, purposeful tone of Gimilzagar’s voice.

“He can go to Rómenna, and then back to the mainland from there, while Rini stays in the Palace. If he is not with her, she will not have anyone to doom herself with.”

“And separate her from the one that she loves?”

“She is strong. She already survived the loss of her husband.”

“I cannot believe what I am hearing.” She was furious now, as furious as she did not remember being in years. “This is a woman who has lost everything, not only her husband, but her kin, her people, and her freedom! Would you take away the only thing she has left? And what then? Will you merely trust her to be strong, or will you also need to take all ropes and sharp objects away from her vicinity again and put her under watch? And what if she refuses to eat instead? Will you force the food down her throat, as they do with the barbarians who are shipped to the Island to be sacrificed?” Her voice was trembling, and so were her hands, she realized through the blur of red that veiled her eyes.

Gimilzagar was staring at her.

“Fíriel, I do not… I cannot…” Every attempt to start a sentence seemed to end in failure, and he shook his head as if to clear his own cloud of obfuscation. “I cannot be expected to go ahead with this mad plan when there are lives at stake!”

But Fíriel could not find it in herself to be understanding. Not this time.

“My life was at stake when I came here, Gimilzagar, and yet I came. Because I loved you”, she hissed, partly out of anger, partly to prevent her voice from breaking. “If that is an unacceptable risk to you, then perhaps I should not be here at all.”

And before he could gather his wits enough to call her back, she was gone.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The barbarian had never been summoned to his presence before, unless he was needed to translate the words of his mistress. Even before he crossed the threshold of the door, he had already put two and two together, and Gimilzagar’s own blood curdled in his veins from the onslaught of terror that assaulted his senses as the wretched man prostrated himself before him.

If I could not hear what they are thinking, perhaps I would have managed to see the sufferings of the rest of the world as if they had nothing to do with mine, he remembered saying to Fíriel once. As if they did not matter. And then, I could have been a proper heir for my father.

Back then, she had done her best to smile, and made some flippant comment about her never being able to love him otherwise. But he did not think that the real import of her words had truly struck him until now.

“Akahatzhin of Northern Rhûn, look up”, he ordered, using the man’s real name for the first time. And then, because it was the only thing that the man needed to hear, before any elaborate explanations or questions he could easily misunderstand, Gimilzagar added “I will not hurt you.”

The words did not bring as much relief as he might have expected, and still, it was something. Cautiously, the barbarian obeyed. Gimilzagar gazed at his face, disfigured by irregular purple blotches, and at the eyepatch that barely hid the greatest horror of all. No Númenórean woman would gaze twice at such a man; once would be enough to fill her with disgust and nausea. But perhaps luckily, perhaps unluckily for him, the Lady Rini was not a Númenórean woman.

“Yes, you are right. I can perceive your thoughts, just as you can see my face and hear the words I speak aloud. I am not a demon or a god, but once upon a time my ancestors were descended from one of them; which, I do not know. All I know is that, for my people and perhaps also for yours, the only difference between a god and a demon is often whether they are well disposed towards Men or not. And I am well disposed towards you, Akahatzhin.”

“I didn’t do anything” the barbarian said, his voice about to break into sobs. He had barely heard what Gimilzagar had said, beyond the affirmation that the Prince knew what he was thinking. “I am loyal only to the Prince of the Númenóreans. I am the Prince’s humblest slave.”

“Then, were you just trying to humour her?” As soon as those words escaped his mouth, Gimilzagar already knew that they had been a mistake. The barbarian’s fear turned into something far more harrowing, almost unbearably so.

“No! No, no, no. My lady is innocent. Please, the Prince must believe me. She is innocent. I…” The thought was right there, an agonic urge to blame himself and take all the weight of the guilt off her. But there was also something else, a paralyzing grip on his heart and tongue that rendered it impossible. This brought an onslaught of self-hatred and a profound feeling of shame. Others might have found this puzzling, that the same man who could run into a burning building and brave almost certain death could not brave Gimilzagar’s displeasure for the sake of the same person. But Gimilzagar knew why it was so.

“Once, you lived in the wilderness, making a living of setting traps to catch small animals for fur and meat. You knew that some faraway tribes to the South were subject to the Númenóreans, but you had never seen one yourself” he spoke. “Until the day that General Minulzîr set his eye on your lands. He followed the time-honoured Númenórean strategy of gathering intelligence, so he could learn whether the peoples who lived there were unified and well-armed or not, or whether the lands themselves were worth the invasion. Then, he would approach one of the weaker tribes, offer them his friendship and help against their foes, and use them as a stepstone to conquer the entire territory. But there was a problem: he had no knowledge of the language, and none of the royal interpreters could help him with it. He needed to be able to communicate with the barbarians; otherwise, his plans were rendered impossible.” He made a brief pause, and noticed that the barbarian was moving in a strange way, like a bird tilting its head. “So he had to create his own interpreters. This was long and arduous work, and it could take months, perhaps years. And he could not wait that long: if his mandate did not include promising conquests, it might be cut short, and he would never become a governor in the Island. So he captured you, together with some fifty others. With the sole help of some Southerner who had traded skins with your people once and remembered a few words, you were put to the daunting task of learning Adûnaic, a language you did not only know nothing about, but which ould not be properly explained to you. Some could not even comprehend what was being asked of them, though after what happened to them, the rest of you understood. But it was still not enough to understand, was it?” Akahatzhin shuddered. “He needed someone who could communicate in both languages in two months. This was practically impossible, and the only way to make it possible was through motivation. One good interpreter was enough; the rest were expendable. So every week, you would be forced to watch what happened to those who did not fulfil the expectations. And every week, you felt that you had barely escaped those horrors for a few more days, until you made a mistake. But you did not make a mistake, and all the others did. And now you are here, and the only thing you cannot bear in this world is the sight of a Númenórean frowning at you. Because this would mean that you have finally made a mistake.” He knelt before the man to lay a hand upon his trembling shoulder. “Do not fear. As I said, I am not here to harm you, or the lady Rini. I am here to help you, as I helped those men and women from the Andustar, on the trip where we first met. Do you remember them? They are proof that I am capable of kindness. I do not enjoy seeing people suffer, I never have. Even though those peasants were all guilty of what the Governor of Andúnië accused them of, just like you are guilty of loving the lady Rini.” He sighed. “Do you know what? All I wanted to do was send you away from her, to Rómenna, so they would put you in the first ship for the mainland. I thought it would be the safest option for both of you. But Fíriel has been trying to convince me that to force you to part would be too devastating for Rini, and that you both need to go together, even though this makes the whole venture much riskier. In fact, to prove her point, she has refused to see me since that day. She thinks that my own loss might serve to teach me the importance of love, and I admit that her methods can be very persuasive.” His misplaced attempts at humour were all ignored, as he should have expected. Still, somehow, the shadows in the barbarian’s mind had grown less impenetrable as Gimilzagar spoke. He could even detect emotions that were not fear, such as puzzlement, incredulity, and a tiny sliver of hope. “Akahatzhin, if you stay here, you will both die, this I can guarantee to you. I am sympathetic to your plight, but I cannot protect you. If you both leave, there will be danger, but also a chance of success and freedom. And if you leave this place alone, there will be freedom for you, but not for the lady Rini. I know it is very long since anyone offered you a choice, and I cannot even promise that I will respect it, but I wish to know how you feel. Because, though Rini seems to have already chosen for herself, I am not so sure about you.”

“Yes.”

Despite the matter-of-fact way in which he had questioned the man, Gimilzagar had been far from certain that he would get a reply. So when the barbarian nodded so fast, he was taken by surprise, so much that he could not prevent himself from staring as if he had not understood what he had just heard. Akahatzhin seemed to hesitate at this, taken by a renewed bout of self-consciousness that made him teeter on the edge of destroying his resolve. Gimilzagar could perceive that his thoughts were turning in circles around Rini, and she was so beautiful, so radiant in his mind that even Gimilzagar was suddenly tempted to fall in love with her and crush his unworthy rival beneath his heel. But then, the other two barbarians floated in alongside her, the young man calling him a warrior, and the old woman claiming that Rini’s father would have given her to him. And then Rini was back again, with the memories of their first kiss, and a spark of pride, as precious as the first embers of a fire painstakingly built against the cold Northern wind, was kindled in his heart.

“Yes, my lord prince. I would choose to go anywhere with my lady. And if there are dangers, I would die to protect her from them.”

“I see.”

Just when it seemed the most radiant, however, his enthusiasm dimmed again, eroded by the sudden, terrible thought that this had all been an elaborate trap, designed to make him betray himself and her. Gimilzagar sighed. One step forward, two steps back.

“It is not a trap. You had betrayed yourselves enough before I even summoned you. If I wanted to be rid of you, you would be dead. Now will you, or will you not trust me?”

He did not try to sound reproachful, just forceful, because instinct told him that this was what the man needed right now. When the barbarian bowed, he knew that it had been the right choice.

“Well, then. You may go now. And in the meantime, I advise you to be careful, unless you want the force of events to take the choice away not only from your hands, but also from mine.”

Akahathzin bowed lower.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel swallowed, unsure of what to say, of what to do, even of how to look before the blue gaze which had always possessed the ability to sink deep beneath her skin. But now, for the first time in years, the gaze was warm, and Rini was smiling.

“My lady is very grateful to you”, Hazin translated. Despite having lived in the court of Armenelos for all this time, the barbarian woman had still not learned enough Adûnaic to say this much by herself. In her innermost of hearts, Fíriel supposed that she had never been here.

“You should thank the Prince”, she said, modestly. Rini shook his head with vehemence and spoke to Hazin, who seemed to hang on every word that came from her mouth. Before, Fíriel had always taken this for the diligence of a good interpreter; now that she was aware of the truth, she wondered how she could have been so stupid.

“My lady is aware that she owes everything to you. You persuaded the Prince to let her go with me. If you had not, she would have bitten her tongue and choked with it, as her foremother did when she was captured by the White Bear.”

And Gimilzagar would have seen that eventually, because he is not a monster, Fíriel wanted to argue, but in the end she shrugged and said nothing. Where did all this humility come from, anyway? At the end of the day, Rini was entitled to feel grateful to whoever she wanted to. And it was true that Gimilzagar had taken much longer to convince than usual.

Then again, a small, unpleasant voice whispered against her ear, his reluctance had not been entirely unmotivated.

“Listen to me. You have to be very, very careful out there. My lady, you must stay cloaked at all times, and your face covered, and you must not speak a word in front of a Númenórean. The same goes for Nerdak. You have to let Hazin and your wetnurse do the talking. And if things go… wrong, you must never say who you truly are. Even in Rómenna, you should not reveal your identity to anyone save the Lord of Andúnië himself. Tell him about me, and about what happened here.” He was going to be furious, Fíriel anticipated ruefully. “The Queen wants you to leave, and it will be at least a month, perhaps two, until the King returns. So if you are fast to leave the Island on the first ship, and do not linger in either Rómenna or Pelargir, you should be fine.”

“My lady says that she will never…” Hazin’s remaining eye was clouded, and he seemed to hesitate for a moment. “That she will never let them have her alive again. The Lord Nerdak, her kinsman, will cut her throat before that happens.”

A shiver travelled down Fíriel’s spine. Even having one’s throat cut by a young and probably unexperienced warrior, however, would be much better than the alternative, so she did not argue.

“Let us hope that everything goes well”, she said instead. “I will be praying for it.”

Rini smiled again. All of a sudden, before Fíriel could anticipate her move, she leaned forwards and hugged her. After the first surprise, Fíriel hugged her back, realizing that she could still recognize her scent from those nights they had spent together long ago, when the barbarian woman had just arrived to the Island and was feeling scared enough to accept her comfort.

“Thank you, Lady Fíriel, for everything you have done for me.” Those words had been whispered against her ear, and they were in Adûnaic, Fíriel realized with a thrill. “You treat me with pity, respect a-and understanding, and I am forever…” Her voice trailed away, and she disengaged from her arms to frown and ask Hazin something. “Indebted. I am forever indebted to you.”

Fíriel bit her lip.

“I see. Well. I…” I only wish you could have realized earlier that I wished you well and that we could have been proper friends, she wanted to say, but she realized how childish this would sound. How could a woman who was kept here against her will have been friends with her captor’s very willing lover? Whatever affinity they might have shared in a different world, this horrible world they lived in had made it an impossibility. If Rini was embracing her now, it was only because she already saw herself as a free woman –whether freed by escape or by death, she did not particularly seem to care. “Have a safe journey, Pearl of the North.”

Later in the evening, as she watched their cart disappear in the shadows of Armenelos, Fíriel found herself praying to the Baalim for the first time since she set foot in this Palace.

 

Double Birth

Read Double Birth

The ancient custom of the house of Andúnië forbade mourning after Lord Númendil’s passing. Still, as the months trickled by, Amandil found it harder and harder to go on as if nothing had happened. Every morning, he woke up devoid of energy, and sometimes he was tempted to stay under his covers and refuse the summons of the outside world. On the evenings, he took to sitting by the cliffs, in the same spot where his father had been when his soul left his body, as if he was trying to discover some lingering trace of his presence. Elendil did not say a word to him about this, but Amandil knew that he was worried, and that his mood reminded his son of the hopelessness and apathy he had experienced after their exile.

But Amandil no longer had time for hopelessness or apathy. He might be feeling tired and numb inside, and yet the world would not stop for his sake, and the drama he had found himself a part of would unfold regardless of whether he was willing to play his role in it or not. The disease which had ravaged the East of the Island had been contained, officially through Sauron’s power –unofficially, Anárion estimated that between fifteen and seventeen barbarians had been slaughtered for each Númenórean who died, some of them when they were already sick, others just for the peace of mind of their masters-, but now it had broken out in Pelargir. There, far from the King’s gaze, it was far more likely that people’s fear would devolve into open persecution of the many Faithful who crowded its streets. The Faithful in Rómenna had already suffered casualties from the hatred and ignorance of others, and the Governor of Sor had just feigned sympathy, while deep inside he was glad that his people had found an outlet for their basest urges who was not him. The Magistrate and the Merchant Princes who ruled Pelargir would not even bother with the pretence. This disease offered them a golden opportunity to attack their greatest rivals, the descendants of the first settlers brought across the Sea by Tar Palantir, while the crowd of beggars and refugees from Pharazôn’s reign would be caught in the crossfire. To send anyone to Pelargir to await transportation to the North was folly under the circumstances, even if they managed to avoid the ever-increasing volume of restrictions placed upon their harbour. Isildur had suggested bypassing the Bay completely, and sending ships directly to the Northern colonies as a solution. This, however, meant doing away with the last pretence of abiding by the laws of Númenor and being loyal to its Sceptre. The King had never put a stop to their “commercial activities” before, or seemed to care much about them, busy as he was preparing the invasion of Valinor. But if Amandil decided to burn this last bridge, he would be giving him, the demon who had his ear, and the merchants who hated the house of Andúnië a perfect excuse to act against them.

While they discussed this issue, endlessly examining it from every angle under the candlelight of his desk at night, Amandil’s last conversation with his father was often on his mind. What would he do if he knew he was going to die, if he did not have to care for the laws and conventions of this world, or fear any of its powers? In his dreams, it was Númenor itself that ended, and he could feel this end growing nearer every day. But, if they were all doomed, did this mean they could start acting as if those laws had no power over them anymore? Where was the red line that had to be crossed, the point of no return after which obedience no longer held any meaning, and posed even worse dangers than disobedience?

In the end, as it was often the case, it was the most unexpected happening what tipped the lord of Andúnië’s hand. One day, his secretary came in looking rather flustered, informing him that a group of very odd people had arrived by his gates demanding to see him. When they were turned away, they stood their ground, and claimed to be there on behalf of Fíriel. Recalling that other incident with the peasants of the Andustar, Amandil sighed, and gave orders for this new group of would-be victims whose plight had touched the royal mistress’ heart to be admitted into his presence. If they weren’t too many, or too conspicuous, perhaps they could stay in Rómenna while he decided what the next step was going to be.

When the barbarians came in, however, Amandil felt his heart sink from a dark premonition. They must hail from a land far to the North, or so he deduced from the colour of their skin and the straw-blonde of their hair, which reminded him of a woman he had loved so long ago that he could not even remember her name. There was an old woman, a young man with outlandish manners who stayed near the threshold of the door instead of approaching Amandil, and the strangest couple the lord of Andúnië had ever seen. She was a beautiful woman, but no – beautiful was not the appropriate word. Lalwendë was beautiful, Ilmarë was beautiful, Amalket had been beautiful, but this woman was something else. Her oval face, the perfect curve of her lips, the striking blue colour of her eyes inspired him with the same sort of awe that Ar Zimraphel evoked in fellow mortals, though if her beauty was that of a goddess, it was a foreign and remote deity who would scorn Númenórean prayers. When she advanced towards him, her companion advanced by her side, and his appearance struck such a stark contrast with hers that Amandil almost recoiled. He was missing one eye, covered by an eyepatch, and one side of his face had been badly burned. Still, when she leaned towards him to whisper some words in his ear, she did not seem bothered by any of this at all. Amandil saw him nod gravely and her lips curve in an encouraging smile; then, he fell to his knees before him.

“Powerful lord of Andúnië, we are here to seek your protection against a great evil that follows our footsteps”, he spoke, in a very good Adûnaic. “The Lady Fíriel, in her infinite kindness, sent us here.”

As he explained their plight, Amandil’s bad feelings were confirmed. These people were not peasants, or fugitives from an overzealous governor who had found figurines of the Baalim in their cellar. She was none other than the Lady Rinitisipamushi, daughter of Molmak the Grey Wolf, and wife –at least in the very loose sense of the word which Ar Pharazôn had decided to employ for any of the Prince’s concubines who was not Fíriel- of the Prince of the West. After getting wind of her illicit affair with her interpreter, the burned man, Fíriel had helped them escape, and told them to come here. Amandil would find it difficult to believe that the girl he had known, the one he had claimed as his own daughter, had planned this elaborate scheme to get rid of a rival, and put her own family in danger because of it. But then, that she was sincerely trying to help these people did not make him feel much better about the whole issue.

Was she mad? Had she somehow forgotten the dangers that assailed the rest of them, safely ensconced in the ivory tower of the Prince and the Queen’s protection? Or was she just the same foolish, impulsive peasant she had always been at heart, the one who wanted to throw her life away by bearing false witness in front of the King to save her cousin’s life?

“I will be glad to offer my hospitality to the Lady Rini and her companions” he said, hiding his turmoil and his anger from his guests. “The Lady Lalwendë will have our best rooms available for you so you can rest from the hardships of the journey.”

The barbarian woman listened to the translation of his words with a frown, and a brief exchange ensued. Then, the interpreter bowed to him apologetically.

“My lord, the Lady Rini says that she does not need any rest. That unless we leave the Island fast, they will try to take her back to Armenelos, and then she will kill herself. The Lady Fíriel said…”

Amandil’s gaze hardened.

“The Lady Fíriel lives in Armenelos. She remains ignorant about a number of important details concerning our situation here”, he told the man, who flinched as if he suddenly expected to be hit. “Tell your lady that she would do well to accept my hospitality for the time being, as she will not receive many such offers in the days to come.”

Though he left the room without waiting for their answer, his son came later to report that the four barbarians had finally decided to stay – a foregone conclusion, since, as Amandil had just reminded them, they had nowhere else to go.

“What are we going to do about them?” Elendil asked. Amandil tried to pour himself a cup of wine from the jar, but the dregs were all that were left. He winced at their bitter taste.

“How would you feel about delivering them to the King’s Guards?”

“I would prefer to explore every other option before resorting to that”, Elendil replied calmly, sitting at the other side of the low table. The lord of Andúnië shook his head.

“Let us do so, then. Should we send them to Sor to find ship for the mainland, when they look like the most easily recognizable fugitives to ever try to escape the Island? The man with the burned face is the only one who can speak the language, for the Valar’s sake! Should we opt for taking them in our own ships and try to sneak them into a Pelargir which has become an impregnable fortress, where the lives of those loyal to us hang from a thread, and where the slightest wrong move on our part would mean the death of many? Or perhaps we can let them stay here instead, with us, and pray that nobody ever recognizes them?” He shook his head, and gazed inside the empty cup. “No, Elendil. There are no other options. We have run out of options, both for them and for ourselves. All that is left is a line before us, and our only remaining choice is whether to cross it or not.”

Elendil did not need to ask for clarification. Instead, his face took a thoughtful expression familiar to Amandil: that which he would adopt before he said something he had been meditating for a long time.

“Perhaps this has happened for a reason. Perhaps it is the sign that we needed.”

“A sign of Heaven advocating treason, you mean?” Amandil laughed bitterly. “Elendil, you are fully aware of how terrible the consequences would be, if we were discovered. And we will be. The Merchant Princes keep a tight control on the coast of Middle-Earth from Umbar to the Middle Havens.”

“There may be a way to avoid their vigilance.”

The lord of Andúnië raised an eyebrow.

“Oh?”

“The Elves, Father! Once, a crew sent from Lindon was able to take you and your men past the vigilance of the Merchant Princes, through the mouths of the Anduin and around the island of Gadir itself.”

“The Elves have so far proved very reluctant to do anything that can be construed as open hostility to the Númenórean Sceptre. Father used to say…”

“The Elves will not refuse to help us save people’s lives, if it is in their hands to do so.” Elendil stood up, suddenly looking rather determined. “Let me speak to them.”

“I suppose we lose nothing by asking”, Amandil acquiesced, wondering why he could not feel more hopeful about this idea. Perhaps it was just habit. Or the accumulated resentment after so many years of receiving nothing but empty, meaningless words from that end. “But you should bear in mind that Elves do not necessarily have the exact same views on mortal peril than we do.”

For many of them, especially those who do not deal with mortals too often, death is but the fulfilment of our destiny, and they cannot understand why we seek to avoid it, Númendil had said once, adding that he had never imagined it would be so difficult to explain the difference between a timely and an untimely death. In the end, he had been humble enough as to concede that even mortals were not too sure of the meaning of those concepts, and that one’s timely could be another’s untimely end. But outside the realm of pointless debates, Amandil was quite sure that the barbarian lady and her strange lover did not want to fall in the hands of Ar Pharazôn’s Guard.

“I will ask them, Father. And if we reach an agreement, we will send a first shipment with this lady and her companions, and men that cannot be traced back to us too easily, though at least one of them must have knowledge of the Elven tongue.” Elendil was already thinking ahead, as if all that was still left to do was but a mere formality. “And if it works, we will be able to establish a shipping line directly to the North, bypassing Pelargir. This way, we can escape the vigilance and control of both the Sceptre and the Merchant Princes. Isildur and Anárion will travel as before, to avert suspicion, but while they do so, others will be ferried in secret, unbeknownst to everyone. Wouldn’t that be a good asset for us?”

“It would, if you could convince our very diplomatic friends that engaging in treasonous contraband of people is not an intervention in our internal affairs and a breach of their ancient alliances with the Númenórean Sceptre. But for that you would need to be at least as persuasive as Father, and as knowledgeable of their ways.”

Elendil nodded gravely.

“I will do my best to prove worthy of my lineage.”

Amandil opened his mouth, but his son had already left.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The barbarians stayed in Rómenna for three nights, and they spent most of that time in a state of barely repressed anxiety, as if the enemy they feared was going to appear on their doorstep at any moment. They ate in their own chambers, kept to themselves, and though the burned interpreter –Hazin was his name- routinely made excuses for their behaviour and grovelled before anyone who would listen, he seemed to be the only one who bothered. Unlike others in her family, Ilmarë could not blame them for acting like this: she understood the fear of fugitives, and knew that neither slaves nor princesses could expect any mercy if they were caught.

That was why she left them to their own devices, until Father came in one morning to inform that their departure would be scheduled for midnight of that same day. He had been using the Seeing Stone for long stretches of time, and he looked terribly drained from the experience, so much that Mother had to coax him into resting, claiming that other people could take care of the remainder. This was Ilmarë’s cue to volunteer herself for the task of announcing the auspicious news to their guests, and instruct them to be prepared.

When she entered their living quarters, she realized in some surprise that the four of them were sharing the same room –and, not happy enough with this, that they were mostly on one side of it. The old woman, the interpreter and the lady were all sitting on the bed, while the young man alone was leaning against the window, his gaze fixed on the horizon. Acquaintance with Tal Elmar, not to mention her sojourn in the Women’s Court of Arne, had already taught Ilmarë that other peoples had different customs, and that what passed as politeness for one could be rudeness to another, but she had to wonder what the stuffy courtiers of the Palace of Armenelos must have thought of this behaviour.

“Did you live in tents?” The words had escaped her mouth before she had the time to check her impulse, and she blushed. “Back - home, I mean.”

The barbarian lady looked very nonplussed when the interpreter transmitted the question to her.

“Only during the hunting season, my lady” Hazin explained, as usual adding the politeness himself. “This time of the year is not hunting season yet.”

“I see”, she nodded, gravely. For a moment, she remembered a young and adventurous Númenórean girl who had been disappointed because her father’s Arnian subjects did not live in tents. She had been quite a handful, she thought, with the indulgent fondness she would have reserved for a niece, or for a younger sister of her own daughter. “I am here to inform the lady… the lady Rini that arrangements have been made for her departure, and that it will take place tonight. She will be taken across the Great Sea to a settlement founded by our family in the Northern coast of Middle Earth, where she will be outside the reach of the Sceptre.”

This news seemed to cause quite a stir. The two women immediately started pelting Hazin with questions, their faces flushed and their expressions livelier than they had been since their arrival. Even the young man approached them at some point to join in the conversation.

“If you translate the questions they are asking, perhaps I could help you”, Ilmarë suggested with a smile. After apologizing profusely, the interpreter proceeded to transmit the words of the others, and Ilmarë sat down to explain the plan as well as she was able, including the route they would follow, the length of the voyage, and the layout of the place where they would be taken. That was the part she was more knowledgeable about, for she could draw from both Isildur and Anárion’s reports and from Tal Elmar’s stories about his life in Agar. The only thing she remained vague about was the involvement of the Elves. Most peoples of Middle Earth seemed to share a fear and hatred of them, which her family believed to be a consequence of the lies of Sauron. Even Tal Elmar had had some ludicrous tales to share about Elves stealing Agarene children from their cribs, and leaving horrible monsters in their place. So instead, she spoke about their allies in the North, without ever insinuating that they were anything but human.

“The lady Rini wishes to know if we will have freedom in this settlement, my lady”, Hazin asked. Ilmarë blinked, taken by surprise.

“Of course you will have freedom. There are no slaves there. You can even marry, if that is what you wish.” Rini nodded to all, matter-of-factly, and Ilmarë had the suspicion that Hazin had not translated the last thing.

“So, does this mean that we will be able to leave?”

Leave?” From what Ilmarë had gathered, the lands in Northern Rhûn where those people used to live were under Númenórean control now, used for mining, and all their settlements had been turned into piles of rubble- or rather, piles of ashes, for she doubted they had known how to build with stone. Worse, they were almost half a world away, and that half of the world was definitely not empty. Even near Agar there were fierce enemies, waiting for the first sign of weakness to destroy them. “I would not advise it. The Agarenes are friendly to us, but many other barbarians are dangerous and hostile.”

The young man blurted out something that Hazin refused to translate. Instead, he bowed to her, and thanked her for the information and for her family’s help.

“You should not thank me, but Lord Elendil and Lady Fíriel.” Recognizing at last the opening she had been seeking, Ilmarë made a pause to rack her brains for the most appropriate words. “She - must have appreciated you very much, to have allowed herself to be involved in this, even at the risk of her own position. Back when I frequented the Palace, I know for a fact that most of the women there would have preferred to see their rivals die.”

Lady Rini did not hesitate in her answer.

“Lady Fíriel is not like that. She was always kind to my lady”, Hazin translated. Then, he paused to listen to something else. “My lady says that she looks very much like you. She knows that you are blood kin, but still, she finds the resemblance remarkable.”

Ilmarë tried to keep her heart from fluttering unduly, but her lips curved into a proud smile.

“It is not that remarkable” she retorted. “I am her mother.”

Those words were met by shock. After a moment, the barbarian lady began to frown, as if trying to recall something.

“Once, the Lady Fíriel told my lady that her father had died in the fire. Later, we were told that she was the daughter of the lord of Andúnië, but he is alive. My lady is ashamed to have reached the conclusion that she was lying.”

“And she was lying- but to others, not to you. She told you something which could have put her reputation in serious danger, for this father who died in the fire was a traitor who killed Palace Guards. And he was also a barbarian.” Ilmarë made a great effort to swallow the sadness that always came back to her throat whenever she spoke about Malik, even if she did not mention his name. “She must really have seen you as a friend.”

Lady Rini shook her head, and for once, her voice sounded genuinely apologetic.

“My lady rejected her friendship. She felt that she could not trust a woman who harboured such love and loyalty for the Prince of the West.”

“I see.”

It was a mechanic answer, but deep inside, Ilmarë’s mind was working fast. She remembered her daughter’s torn look as she stood before that cliff, agonizing over her choice to abandon her family and all her loyalties to save the one who owned her heart. Back then she, her own mother, had told her that no loyalty or bond was worth anything if it stood in the way of her happiness. But Ilmarë had been too wrapped in her own issues to consider that those who devoted themselves to selfish goals also became estranged from everyone else - that, at the end of the day, they would find themselves alone. For their kin, their friends, those who surrounded them would never forget where their hearts truly lay.

And yet, she told herself, Fíriel was not like this. She might have chosen her Prince Gimilzagar, but she still cared for others. Back when she was just a young girl, she had been ready to die for her stupid cousin; then she had used her influence to convince the Prince to save those peasants who were guilty of engaging in the worship of her fathers, and now she had saved this woman and her lover. Her heart was bigger than Ilmarë’s heart had been; and in it, there was space for many. Maybe even for the mother who abandoned her.

“I was… wrong.” To her shock, Ilmarë realized that it was the Lady Rini herself who was speaking, in a tentative, heavily accented Adûnaic. “Fíriel was… trust-worthy. I know… it… now.”

She gesticulated wildly as she spoke, as if she could not conceive of others understanding the meaning of the words she was uttering, the daughter of Elendil realized, unsure of whether to laugh or sob.

“Could you please do something for me?” she asked. Before even waiting for the answer, she was already ploughing on. “It has been many years since I last saw Fíriel. Though she is my daughter, born from my womb, I have no access to her, and I know very little about her. There are no…” She wanted to say ‘letters’, but she knew from Tal Elmar that few barbarians knew how to write, so this would probably not make sense to them. “No messengers carrying news of her.” She gave Rini a formal bow, struggling to prevent her voice from breaking. “We have many hours left until the evening, and I was wondering if perhaps you could use some of that time to tell me about her. Anything you know, every word you have exchanged with her, even the harsh ones –anything you have heard from others, I do not care. It will all be equally welcome.”

Hazin’s voice was low, and Lady Rini’s beautiful blue eyes were wide open as she listened to him. Near her, the old woman looked touched too.

“The lady Rini will grant your wish to the best of her ability” the interpreter nodded, solemnly.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

At midnight, the Lady Rini and her companions boarded a boat in a small cove behind the Lord of Andúnië’s house. Soon, the shadows had swallowed every trace of them, as they were rowed towards the ship that awaited their arrival near Rómenna. None of the four would ever set foot in the Island again, or so the young woman had said to Ilmarë in the solemn tones reserved for the most unbreakable of oaths. The daughter of Elendil hoped that they might find some well-deserved peace wherever they went, and that the barbarian could live a happy life away from the reach of the Sceptre. Some people thought Rini foolish for putting herself –and others- at risk because of love, but Ilmarë knew about love and foolish risks, better than any of them. And so had her daughter, who felt closer to her now than she had for a long time.

A whole month had almost gone by when, one day, the Seeing Stone informed Elendil that the ship had reached its destination. For the house of Andúnië, this was momentous news, mainly because of the new possibilities it offered, to pursue their activities outside both the control of the Merchant Princes and the insidious reach of the plague. But Ilmarë’s happiness was entirely for the young woman who had offered some comfort to a mother in the middle of her own troubles, and for the one-eyed, burned man who had managed to become the object of her affections.

As the days passed by, however, the memory of this unlikely love began receding to the back of her mind, displaced by the urgency of other developments of a no less unlikely nature.  Shortly before the coming of Spring, Irimë gave birth again -to yet another daughter. For the first time since she had married Anárion and began having his children, her disappointment was great enough to compromise her unshakeable composure, and she made excuses not to appear in public, leaving the task of naming, introducing and celebrating the new child to her husband. Ilmarë’s mother forbade everyone but Anárion from visiting or otherwise bothering her, claiming that her health had been affected by the delivery –a lie that everybody pretended to believe.

Barely two weeks later, things gave yet another turn when Irissë went into labour. She had been unusually quiet about her sister’s disgrace, but that was only because she was having trouble with her own pregnancy. The baby she was carrying had swollen not just her belly, but what looked like every part of her body, and drained her so thoroughly of her strength that she had to remain bedridden for a month. Everything seemed to anticipate that the delivery would be long and difficult, so whenever Eluzîni was done reassuring Irimë that she would have sons in the future, just as healthy, beautiful and clever as her girls were, she had to drop by Irissë’s sickbed to convince her that she had gone through the same when Isildur was born, and that everything would be fine.

Ilmarë was there too, as was her duty, adding her own reassurances and volunteering her help for the ordeal. That was why she was one of the first to see the red, wailing baby boy still hanging by the thread of the umbilical cord. And once she did, the most immediate thought evoked in her mind by the vision of the heir of Isildur, and third in line to the lordship of Andúnië, was that her eldest brother was a lucky bastard.

Irissë, despite her exhaustion, looked quite thrilled by her own feat. When they wrapped the baby and gave it to her, she gazed at it with such pride and excitement that a part of Ilmarë was touched, while another part feared that the relationship between the sisters would take a sharp turn for the worse.

“Since the first day she had to stay in bed, I was afraid that this would happen”, Ilmarë’s mother told her in a low voice, while Irissë slept and the baby was being fed. “Her –symptoms were so very like mine, back when I was pregnant with Isildur.”

“I am shocked to hear you speak like this, Mother”, Ilmarë remarked. “Shouldn’t the birth of an heir for our house be a momentous circumstance?”

Eluzîni dismissed her words with an irritated, yet elegant shrug.

“Irissë is made to have children. She would have had a boy anyway, only at some other time. Some other time when I would not need to put peace between two women who are not even my real daughters.”

“Are you sure? Isildur certainly took his time with this one. I…” Ilmarë’s voice trailed away, as she realized that she was unwittingly entering dangerous waters. “I think it is a good thing that they no longer have to live with the pressure of bringing forth an heir.”

“Isildur will agree with you on that”, Eluzîni retorted. “As for that simple girl, she will consider herself fortunate, even if she might have been better served by her husband having to return to her every once in a while.” She fixed a slightly too penetrating glance on Ilmarë. “I wonder if there is anyone in this world who might be able to enter Isildur’s thick skull, and convince him that the obligations of marriage do not end here.”

“I am not sure that forcing Isildur to return to Irissë just to bear a son would increase their chances of a happy marriage, Mother” Ilmarë retorted. “You simply cannot force love, and in this he was a victim of the decisions of others. So far, he has tried his best to do his duty, even had a son by his wife, but what if one day he meets someone whom he truly loves? What then?”

Eluzîni looked troubled.

“You are still thinking of that barbarian woman who eloped with her one-eyed lover.”

“I am thinking of Fíriel. And of myself. I cannot believe you have already forgotten.”

Ilmarë’s voice was so unusually passionate that it seemed to give her mother pause.

“I do not think Isildur would have the same views on this as you do.” Her gaze hardened a little. “You think like a woman, but he is a man. And, ever since the Children of Ilúvatar have walked upon the surface of this Earth, it has not been men who were ready to sacrifice their kinship ties, their duties and privileges, much less their reputation, because of love. It does not matter if you read the annals of Númenor, the stories of the Elder Days or the myths of Rini or Tal Elmar’s people combined; you will not find a single example of such a thing. I doubt they are even able to comprehend this concept.”

Ilmarë pondered her mother’s words in silence. She remembered Isildur’s agitation when he discovered the exact nature of his feelings towards Tal Elmar, and how he had dealt with it by refusing to hear another word on the subject, pretending to love Irissë, and promptly siring a child on her. Now, the woman and the young barbarian shared the same house, perhaps even the same bed, and, deep inside, Ilmarë knew that Isildur had convinced himself that he could do well by the both of them. Her mother might have a point, she thought. Yes, her brother loved a man, but that would not be enough to turn him magically into a woman. He was still the Aegnor to Fíriel’s Luthien –and to his wife, he would always remain an Aldarion.

Luckily for the house of Andúnië, poor Irissë was far from being a heroine of old. And though she felt guilty for even thinking this, Ilmarë realized that the true fate of their family hinged on her remaining content with the scraps that life had given her, and not daring to hope for better.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Isildur’s day had passed by in a haze of mindless happiness.  He did not remember ever feeling such a fierce, complete, uncomplicated joy as the one he had experienced when he saw the tiny shape of his son wrapped in that silk sheet. His father had embraced him, his grandfather congratulated him, and even Anárion had not found anything to criticise. For once in his life, Isildur had done what they all expected of him; for once his oh so perfect brother had not needed to step up and compensate for his inadequacies.

Elendur. The name left no doubt as to who this child was. He was the next link in a long, unbroken chain, the embodiment of the house of Andúnië’s hopes of a new life beyond the Great Sea, and of Isildur’s claim to a role that, up until now, he had always felt unworthy of fulfilling. He was not cursed, after all: he was the heir of Andúnië, a father, a man. The feeling was so wonderful, so magnificently liberating, that he had found himself kissing Irissë all over her face, for the first time with a true feeling of tenderness. And he would have done the same to his son, if his mother had not warned him that the baby was still too frail to be subject to his transports. Even so, he had spent a long time just gazing at him in wonder, registering every movement, every gesture, every sound, every line of his face and body, until the child had to be fed and the women threw him out. Only then, he allowed himself to be dragged towards the celebration, where his family and a few honoured guests who had arrived at short notice were toasting to Elendur’s good health. There, he was immediately kidnapped by the lord of Andúnië, who paraded him everywhere and did not even object when Isildur’s glass was refilled for the seventh time.

It was already early in the evening, and the shadows had begun to fall when Amandil decided to retire from the banquet. Elendil was otherwise occupied, and taking advantage of his newfound freedom, Isildur gazed across the room in search of Anárion.

“You do not look very happy”, he said, as he finally located him near one of the windows that gave to the Great Sea, at the other end of the table. After the lord was gone, the feast had begun to languish, and most of the guests were either leaving or had already left. His younger brother, however, was not personally sending them off, which was rather unusual for a conscientious host like him. Instead, he was drinking on his own, and when Isildur approached him he even pretended to be surprised.

“What? Of course I am happy, Isildur. Why would I not be? The house of Andúnië has a new heir at last.”

“You know, now that I have a son, you no longer need to try so hard” Isildur continued, as if he had not even heard him. Two of the remaining guests, who were speaking to Elendil by the door, turned to look at him. “You can have as many daughters as you want.”

“Having daughters or sons is not really a choice” Anárion replied, looking at the guests and feigning an easy smile. Always afraid of what others would think.

As you would be, if you were not drunk, Malik retorted.

“The Haradrim believe that the conception of a child is the result of two spirits doing battle, the male and the female. If the male wins, the child will be male, and if the female wins, female.” Elendil said something to the guests, who looked away, and proceeded to walk them across the threshold towards some unknown destination.

Anárion shrugged.

“It would be just like the Haradrim, to imagine even marital relations as some sort of conflict. But surely you know better than to believe in those superstitions.”

You should really drop this now, Malik warned, but Isildur ignored him again. He had scented blood, and he would not retreat.

“I do not think it is your fault. A spirit like Irimë’s must be very hard to defeat.”

Anárion’s features tensed, which was the closest to a loss of composure that Isildur could expect in public.

“At least the Haradrim would know I have battled it. You, on the other hand, have never engaged a female spirit, Isildur, and you never will.”

With a curt nod, he left his cup by the table, and walked past Isildur to join Elendil and the guests.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Tal Elmar had been doing some drinking of his own, but not nearly as much as Isildur. During the celebration, he had not been his usual boisterous self, the one Isildur remembered from feasts in Agar, and he wondered if the young man could be feeling angry at him. But when Isildur told him he would be at the beach later, he simply nodded and said that he would join him there. For the Forest People, wives did not belong to the same sphere as warrior bonds, and Isildur had to admit that he envied this particular custom of theirs.

“Among my people, I would have the honour of raising your son in the ways of war” Tal Elmar explained, once they had finished making love next to the breaking waves. “But the customs of the Númenóreans are too different. We have to hide our bond instead of boasting of it, and I will never have any claim to your child.”

A claim to your child. Upon hearing this, the memory of Anárion’s words in the feasting hall returned to Isildur’s mind. You have never engaged a female spirit, he had said, as if implying that Irissë had not really been there when he held her in his arms, that she was nothing but a receptacle for his son. He wondered if that was true. As a matter of fact, he wondered if he should even be here, doing this after his brother’s warning. But the feeling of recklessness, of being untouchable, that filled every inch of him since the birth of Elendur could have withstood a hundred Anárions tonight.

“Oh, our customs might not be the same as those of Agar, but you are still allowed to teach him things” he said. Tal Elmar smiled, and his profile looked so beautiful under the dim glow of the stars that Isildur felt his heart stir at the sight. “Especially since I will often be away in the mainland.”

The smile froze.

“Are you leaving again soon?”

Isildur sighed.

“Yes. The situation beyond the Sea is becoming quite dangerous, and since the children can survive without us, Grandfather will probably decide that we need to leave Rómenna any day now.”

“And I cannot go with you.”

“Not with your brothers there.” And mine, he completed in his mind, imagining Anárion’s look if Isildur told him that Tal Elmar would travel with them. “But perhaps one day we will establish colonies so far from Agar that they do not need know that you are with us.”

“Or perhaps I can challenge them, and kill Eldest Brother in battle.”

“Unfortunately, we do have an alliance with them.”

“If I killed my brother in battle, you would still have it. Like you had it when Father killed Mogru.”

“You are right.” Isildur shrugged. Why not? “Perhaps we will do that.” The day he finally told Anárion that he no longer needed his advice, and meant it.

“Then again, I do not think my tribe would accept a Master who was bound to a Númenórean” Tal Elmar added, and for a moment it seemed to Isildur as if he was looking at him a little too intently. “Perhaps in the future.”

Isildur was careful not to let his composure slip. He was aware that warrior bonds did not last forever, but as a Númenórean, this notion of an attachment that had a fixed date was simply incomprehensible to him. Which is why he refused to even consider it, and why he always put it out of his mind as soon as he was able.

“Perhaps”, he mumbled absently. Then, he sat up, trying to shake the sand from his hands before picking up his clothes. “Well, I will return home now, and try to have some hours of rest. Tomorrow will be a day of solemn ceremony, as my son’s name will be announced in public, and every noteworthy person living in Rómenna will come to pay their respects to him.”

Isildur was half-expecting Tal Elmar to make some sarcastic comment about paying respects to a baby who could not even open his eyes properly. But, instead, he just got on his knees, and began gathering his own clothes in silence to leave.

 

Return to Agar

Read Return to Agar

He had never been one of those people who put their faith in omens, or even listened too closely to the misgivings of his own heart, attributing the smallest sign of uneasiness to the foresight of his ancestors. In his life, he had been better served by keeping a rational mind than by running away with untrustworthy instincts; something in which, as usual, he had proved the opposite of the man who shared the responsibilities of this expedition with him.

That was why Anárion knew that there was substance to his fears this time. The news of the plague in Pelargir, though scarce and perhaps garbled, would have been worrying enough on their own as to approach the place cautiously. Perhaps they might even have done better to avoid it, but after they had started ferrying people in secret, it had been judged convenient to be seen following proper procedure. Also, they could not forsake those loyal to them inside the city, and all the people who awaited their arrival as the sole chance of delivery from the dangers which assailed them. Even if he was ready to sacrifice them in the name of the greater good, neither the Lord of Andúnië nor Isildur himself would have agreed to it. And the mutual understanding that they should pretend to like each other and work as one could hardly take any more hits at the moment, he thought ruefully.

It was so very ironic, he mused, that Isildur should be the one to resent him. If one of them had a reason to grow up bitter, that would be Anárion, forced by the avatars of birth to be second to a man for whom responsibilities always took a back seat to his selfish, immoderate passions. Sometimes, it struck Anárion that all he had been doing since he was old enough to remember was compensating for his older brother’s absences and shortcomings. He had been Grandfather’s aide in the Council and taken care of Grandmother when Isildur and his empty-headed Haradric friend were needlessly risking his life on the mainland for thrills, and helped Father while his brother wallowed in self-pity for getting Malik killed. He had persuaded Irimë to marry him, which in turn left the way open for Isildur to marry her sister. Lady Irissë had been the less demanding of the two: all she wanted was someone who treated her well and gave her children, but even that had proved too difficult for his brother at times. Then, after they were sent to the mainland, Anárion had established alliances and built settlements, organized, ruled them even. Isildur had only showed interest in matters of governance in two instances: when he could lead his troops to war, and when the boy he wanted by his side as a substitute for Malik saw fit to put all of Anárion’s efforts at risk by asking for their protection. And in both instances, of course, his will had prevailed.

Tal Elmar. That day, when their men came upon him in that inhospitable forest, had been the beginning of it all. Since then, the more he looked, talked with him, the more Isildur let his unseemly fascination for the barbarian shine across his features, and dictate his movements. Anárion had already suspected this, from the moment his brother began pondering the idea of kidnapping Tal Elmar and taking him home, even knowing that this would put an end to their possibilities of an alliance with the Agarenes. It might have been just a mad idea then, but at some point, he knew it would cause problems. And so it had: the unrest among the tribes which eventually had ended in war had been the ultimate consequence of some of the concessions they had to make for the Master of Agar when Isildur took Tal Elmar under his wing. And, though Anárion did not even want to think about this, the barbarian’s presence in Rómenna had also set something in motion, something much subtler but no less dangerous. Both the lord of Andúnië and Father were happy because they finally had their long-awaited heir, and neither of them would look beyond that, but Anárion did. Isildur’s sudden interest in his wife, his ferocious feeling of vindication when she gave birth to a son, covered a deep disarray which had appeared naked in his eyes on that fateful night. And Isildur knew that Anárion knew, which had brought his resentment to the fore again.

A resentment that made no sense. Even if he wanted to, Anárion could never do anything to hurt Isildur. All he had ever done in his life, all the gifts he had trained and put to use and which now seemed to turn him into some kind of threatening figure, were there for him –or, rather, because of him. Because he had to be everything that Isildur was not. And, if Isildur had managed to have his wife bear a son, no one was more relieved about it than Anárion himself. For a long time, he had felt he was the only one who could do that, too, and the fact that none of Irimë’s pregnancies managed to fill this void had worried him to no end. Oh, she still wanted a son, and now more than ever, Anárion was aware of that. Mother thought she was just feeling humiliated for having lost to her sister, but there was more to it than mere jealousy. Irimë had always been a woman of great ambitions, and she envisioned them ruling free territories in the mainland, territories that would not stay under the same rule as easily as Númenor had. In those circumstances, it was not impossible that he could establish his own house, but for that he would need male heirs who could keep the more warlike barbarians at bay. Anárion, however, did not see as far as she did, and in the here and now, his duty was done.

Still, as it often happened, he had not managed to find a way to communicate this to Isildur successfully. Instead, instinct had made him lash out unkindly at his brother’s drunken abuse, and now they were dancing around each other for the umpteenth time. In the almost three weeks it took them to cross the Great Sea, they had barely spoken twice. Their ship was rather small compared to the war galleys that the Sceptre was building in Forostar, even compared to the merchant ships that sailed back and forth across this same route to bring goods and commodities to Númenor, but for Isildur, it might as well have been as large as the Island. And with Anárion’s mind pondering the dangers that awaited them, he knew that this lack of communication was not a wise move.

Finally, on the day Pelargir came in sight, and the Magistrate’s envoy hailed them, Anárion decided that enough was enough.

“I can do the talking, if you wish”, he began, wondering why it was that his diplomatic skills often did not avail him when Isildur’s brow curved into a frown. “If not, perhaps we could establish a strategy that enabled us to present a united front before them.”

The elder son of Elendil did not answer for a long while. At some point, he had that look in his eyes that told Anárion that he was about to say something argumentative, but before he could blink, it was gone again. In the end, he merely shrugged.

“Fine. Do the talking, then.”

The envoy was dressed ostentatiously, just as that other man who had received them the first time they set foot on Pelargir. Unlike him, however, he was not surrounded by an entourage of slaves and secretaries, but by armed soldiers, and his courteous manners had an edge to them, as if they were just a thin veneer that barely hid the rough surface underneath.

“I apologize for the inconvenience, my lords. But the plague, sent by Númenor’s Western foes, is causing great devastation in our fair city, and the Magistrate has his hands full trying to contain its spread.” It did not pass unnoticed to Anárion how the man gave special emphasis to the words ‘Western foes’, or the way his gaze rested on them as he did so. “The crews of the ships sailing from the Island are not allowed to disembark, until they have undergone a month of quarantine.”

“We are all healthy here”, Isildur intervened, predictably forgetting the agreement about letting Anárion do the talking. The envoy nodded, a little too fast.

“Oh I know, my lord, I know. We have heard the rumours that the… people living in Rómenna are not affected. And still”, he continued, before Isildur could speak,” the rules are the rules. Your crew may not disembark. But the Magistrate is not unreasonable, and he knows that you are scions of a noble family and people of good breeding. He will allow you two to conduct your business in Pelargir, if you agree to certain rules for your protection as well as ours. It is not- advisable for a Baalim-worshipper to show himself openly, in the current climate, which is why you will be escorted by the Magistrate’s men at all times, and sleep in his own house.”

This development forced them to retreat for a private discussion, while the man sat in waiting. As soon as they were out of his earshot, Anárion was the first to voice the obvious.

“It is a trap.”

“Of course it is a trap.” Isildur began pacing over the deck, as he usually did when he was thinking. “Anyone but a fool would be able to see that. And still, it is not that easy to avoid it. If we turn away from the Magistrate’s invitation and sail North, we will leave our flank open to accusations of acting behind the Sceptre’s back…”

“We can claim that we were concerned by rumours of the plague.”

“… and we will also abandon our allies in Pelargir to their fate.  Did you hear what he said? ‘It is not advisable for a Baalim-worshipper to show himself openly.’ What do you think that might have happened to those who remain faithful to the Valar inside the city?”

Anárion did not reply to this. This was quite unusual in him: to know what he had to say, what had to be said, and yet not being able to say it. But deep inside he knew that, if he did, Isildur would refuse to accept it, and hate him even more. And he was just too tired of being hated.

In the end, he took a sharp breath.

“I should go with him, then. You cannot afford to be detained here, much less to put your life at risk, while our people need you in the North.”

“What?” Isildur had not been expecting this.

“I will stay here, and try to learn what has happened to our friends. But you cannot come with me. If something happened to you, and the news spread, our colonies in Agar would be unprotected. And if something happened to the both of us, Agar would only be a part of the problem. The blow to the house of Andúnië’s endeavours would be devastating. You have a son now, Isildur, but I daresay we have no time to wait for him to reach adulthood.”

“That is not…” His brother looked speechless. “You are not… I should…” He shook his head and rubbed his eyes, as if he could get physically rid of the fog that clouded his mind. “You are not staying in Pelargir. It is too dangerous. If anyone is staying, it is me.”

Was that genuine concern, or just pig-headed warrior pride?

“It will be just as dangerous for you, Isildur. You fought and killed five bodyguards once, but you cannot fight an entire city garrison. You will do more good elsewhere, at the head of your troops.” Then, he could not help himself. “Besides, if there is a way to come out of this alive, it will be through subtlety and diplomacy, which has never been your strong suit.”

Isildur’s eyes fixed themselves in his, glowering with anger. Then, he turned away from Anárion, and returned to the place where the Magistrate’s envoy was waiting for them.

“We are not coming with you”, he announced, and Anárion felt relief coursing through every limb in his body. The reprieve, however, was short-lived, for the man’s steely expression confirmed his worst suspicions. The Merchant Princes wanted them dead.

“I must insist that you accompany me. If you do not trust me, I will swear all the oaths you require, but the Magistrate needs to see you.”

“Oh? I thought he was only being generous by allowing us to break the quarantine and do business in his city.”

“There is an… unpleasant business with a man called Abanazer. He has been accused of treason, but he claims that you could vouch for him.”

Anárion’s breath caught on his throat, and he froze, waiting for the inevitable.

“My men will escort you and yours back to your boat”. Isildur’s voice was so cold and deadly that it even gave him goosebumps, but it did not show hesitation.

“We will not leave until we have reached an agreement”, the envoy insisted, sending a significant glance in the direction of one of his soldiers. Then man’s hand immediately went for his sword, but Isildur was faster. Before the weapon was out of its sheath, his own blade was already an inch away from the envoy’s exposed throat.

“As you wish. You will accompany us for the first stretch of the journey, then.  Once we are through the Bay, I will release you in a boat, and you can go back to your master and tell him everything. Disarm them and tie them up”, he ordered the men, who had gathered around them at the first sign of trouble.

When Anárion followed Isildur to the front deck, however, the latter’s mood was far from exultant.

“I am sorry about Abanazer” he ventured. Isildur stopped in his tracks for a moment to look at him, and Anárion realized that the resentment was back once again.

“No, you are not”, his brother said, before walking away to yell orders to the sailors.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Anárion had been right yet again to keep them away from Pelargir, despite Isildur’s reluctance to admit it. Once their ship managed to sail the coastline beyond the reach of the city’s navy, and evade the Middle Havens patrols –who, thankfully, had not had the time to be alerted of their arrival-, they reached the safety of Agar only to come face to face with an even more dire scenario. As they set anchor on the harbour of the settlement, the first sign that not everything was well was to find the docks full of armed men, who looked both gaunt and relieved to see them. While they escorted them to the town hall, they were surrounded by a very large crowd, filling every street they had to cross on their way. Wherever they looked, all they could see was ragged people who pressed against one another and held their wide-eyed children in their arms. Isildur did not remember ever seeing so many men and women inside those walls, and he knew that their presence could only mean serious trouble.

“Thank the Valar that you came!” the captain of the Guard cried as soon as they came in. He was in the Council Room, except it was not a council room anymore. The chairs had been taken away, weapons lay scattered about, and soldiers and captains stood around the table by the fireside, where there was a map and many empty glasses.

“Give me the status report” Isildur ordered, not wasting any time in greetings. Anárion, meanwhile, walked closer to the table, to take a closer look at the map they had been discussing before their arrival.

“It is the Agarenes, my lord. Those damn savages broke the alliance with us.”

“What? Why?” Isildur had never thought too highly of the short-lived folk’s promises, but Agar had stood with them for so long –and gained so much for it- that this news shocked him. He stole a look at Anárion, who was frowning at the map, though he did not look surprised.

“Somebody seems to have offered them more”, the captain explained somberly. All of a sudden, Isildur had a flashback to a conversation he had with Lord Sorekbal in Pelargir, years ago, when the insolent wretch had offered to buy Tal Elmar from him. Something tells me that the current chieftain of that backwater tribe would not grieve too much at his disappearance, he had said, and Isildur had briefly wondered if the Merchant Princes of Pelargir could be in communication with the Forest People. But at that point, he had been so absorbed by his own inner turmoils that soon after he had forgotten the issue completely.

If Anárion heard about how you dismissed such serious concerns because you were too busy making sense of your lust for a young man, I do not think he would be surprised, Malik whispered in his ear. Isildur bristled at this notion. This was not his fault, and he would not let anyone, not even his dearest friend, pretend that it was so.

“And what have they done, so far?”

As it turned out, the farthest of the two settlements the Númenóreans had built upriver had been entirely destroyed, and its refugees were many of those who crowded the streets outside. The other, whose walls had been finished by the time the attack started, was still standing. The Forest People had no idea of how to take a fortified enclosure, so they were in no danger of being breached, but the colonists could not leave the settlement and their provisions, even rationed, would not hold for much longer. When Isildur and Anárion arrived, they had been discussing how to send them aid without compromising their defenses or running into the many enemy tribes who roamed the forest now.

“Damn those Agarenes, and thrice damn the Merchant Princes and all their ilk”, Isildur hissed soulfully. The lord of Andúnië would be livid when he heard of this setback. He had been quite insistent in his plan to build two more colonies to be added to the three that were already established, but now there were only two of those left, and perhaps, if things turned ill, just one. They had brought a Seeing Stone with them on this journey, which they had already used to inform Rómenna of what happened in the harbor of Pelargir, but Isildur would not be so fast to report this news. Not until he had been able to solve the situation by his own means.

“Very well. We will go to war with Agar. How many armed men do we have?”

While the man gave him the numbers of available men from the garrison of each settlement, and those of the colonists who could bear arms, Isildur looked at Anárion again. His brother had raised his eyes from the map now.

“So, is that it? You are not going to try negotiating with them first? There is a good chance that they will back off if we equal the offer from Pelargir. After all, we live closer to them.”

“No.” He had had more than enough of diplomacy in the last years. In fact, if it had not been for Anárion’s insistence in doing everything his own way, and the Lord of Andúnië’s absurd compunctions about conquest, all their settlements would still be standing now. If anybody should bear the blame for what had happened, it was them, not him. “I told you once, those people will never accept your friendship, keep your alliances or respect your laws. They will only take your gifts and pretend to be helpful while it is convenient for them. War is the only thing they truly understand, and now, I am going to make myself understood.”

That makes two of you speaking the same language, Malik retorted, raising an eyebrow. Isildur ignored him again, and focused on the men who gathered around them instead.

“We need to send a very important message. Nobody, no matter how powerful, attacks a Númenórean settlement without expecting swift retribution! They attacked our homes; now, we will attack theirs, and we will root them out.”

Anárion nodded in acquiescence, for his sense of propriety would never allow him to disagree with Isildur in front of others. But Isildur could clearly see in his eyes that he was not quite happy with this decision, or with the fierce enthusiasm with which the others had received it.

“Do not worry, Anárion” he said, more for their benefit than for that of his brother. “Tal Elmar has taught me how his people fight, and I know how to counter their strategies. Also, our weaponry and technique are superior, and this time, we will have the element of surprise.”

“I see.” Anárion nodded again, almost cautiously. He was gazing at the map again, Isildur did not know if because something in it interested him or because he did not wish to meet his glance. “I know how great a warrior you are, and I do not doubt your victory. I just hope that, after we emerge victorious, we will be ready to stand on our own in a hostile mainland.”

Isildur walked until he was before the table too, at the other side of the map. There were painted tokens in it, he realized, marking the estimated locations of all the tribes that had an alliance with the Agarenes. Reaching towards it, he swept the tokens away with the open palm of his right hand, until there were none left on the board. The clatter they made as they fell felt oddly satisfying.

“After I emerge victorious, you can reorganize the territory as you like”, he said. “Agar has enough fertile land to settle every refugee in the North, and many more to come.” And the Faithful of Pelargir, if we are ever allowed to set foot there again, he thought, with a sudden pang on his chest. But the impotence he had felt that day only served to harden his resolve now. “Tell the men to be ready to march tomorrow.”

“Yes, my lord”, the captain barked. Slowly, everyone began filing away towards the exit, their eyes gleaming with a spark that had not been there instants before. As soon as they were gone, he turned towards Anárion.

“I will go to bed now, too”, he announced, picking up the wine jar and leaving his brother to stand there in silence.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil did not know when had walking down the cliffs until he stood at the exact place where his father had died become a habit for him. Or spending increasingly long periods of his day alone, unwilling to see other people or talk to them, no matter who they were. Only today, his own son’s attempts to engage him had been rebuffed twice. As always, Elendil seemed to take it with equanimity, but Amandil could see that he was just hiding his concern.

The lord of Andúnië did not shiver as his exposed body received the brunt of the strong North wind that blew across the coast. This was nothing, compared with the cold he had been feeling in his soul since the Seeing Stone had given him the latest news from the mainland. Pelargir was closed to them now, their allies there in dire peril from the machinations of the Merchant Princes, and the unfortunate people who had been waiting to be taken North left to the mercy of their enemies and the dangers of the plague instead. Amandil prayed that the malicious rumours could be true, and the Faithful were immune to it, but he was afraid that this was just a misconception prompted by the isolation of Rómenna, and that Sauron’s lies had done the rest. None of the natural catastrophes which had happened until now had spared innocents, and if his visions of the future were accurate, the Wave would not stop for those whose hands had remained clean.

That is because no one is innocent. If you could look inside the hearts of people, you would find nothing but various degrees of guilt, Yehimelkor would have told him, if he had been alive and Amandil had gone to him for counsel. Look at yourself for example, at your own people. You think you are much wiser, holier, and better than the King and his men, and yet the moment you are given a measure of power you show evidence of your true nature.

The former Hannimelkor of the Temple of Armenelos had always been stubborn, and reluctant to admit that the priest could be right in his inflexible, absolute judgements. If there was something he had learned, in a long life of adapting to the sweeping currents of the world in order to survive, it was that the world of mortal Men was complex. This complexity was often ugly, sometimes sordid, and never easy to navigate. Only the immortals, or those among them who had seen absolute good and absolute evil staring back at them in the eye, had known a different reality, and those who had once learned from them struggled to live on their borrowed memories –even those who had long forgotten where those memories came from.

If you believe in divine will, then you should not contest it, the High Priest had said. According to him, Númenor had taken possession of the mainland unjustly, and the Wave would put an end to this injustice. He had never set foot on a ship, seen anything outside the Island, or met a barbarian in his life, but Amandil, who had done all these things, could not even deny the truth of this assessment. All he could do was assure Yehimelkor that the Faithful would not do those things, and that they deserved a chance to survive, start a new life, and prove their good faith in a changed world. They would have to face complex situations, of course, but they would find a way to solve them. They were entitled to find a place to live, just like the peoples of the mainland, and they should not be judged or condemned for seeking it.

Now, he could almost hear his former Revered Father laughing at him from whatever hereafter his god had led him to. They had only suffered one major setback, and the solution had not been any different from those adopted by their guilty ancestors who established the first colonies on the shores of Middle Earth. But the worst of all was not that Isildur had acted behind his back, that the Forest People had been expelled by force from what had been their ancestral lands, or that their forests were cut to provide land for the crops that would feed the settlers from the Island. It was not even that this was happening before the Wave fell upon Númenor. The worst was that Amandil had always known that this was how it worked, not because the Númenóreans who had done it were not faithful to the Valar, but because it was the only way it could ever work. And what made him feel a void in his soul that all his hypocritical anger at Isildur could not fill was that, even so, he could not find it in himself to feel guilty. The Faithful were his people, and he could not abandon them to die for an absolute concept of justice. He would save them, no matter who had to perish in their stead. Because, at the end of the day, that was what a leader did.

You sound like the King, Yehimelkor had also said once, in an accusatory tone. Amandil wondered if Pharazôn, even in his better days, had ever been driven by the need to protect the people of Númenor. But in the general meaning of the term, the priest was right: he had sounded like a King. Kings, unlike gods or their servants, could not have a glance that encompassed the whole world, and unlike mere individuals, they were not free to make their own choices. They only saw their people, and their wellbeing was all that mattered. As Kings, they could be good or evil, just or unjust, but they could not hold others in a balance with their own subjects, and have them prevail.

The wind was blowing with more intensity, and belatedly, Amandil realized that he was shivering. He had never given deep thought to this, but if Ar Pharazôn the Golden brought the line of the Kings to an end with his sacrilegious war, and the Faithful escaped the approaching disaster, he might be the King of what remained of Númenor. And then every deed of his people, every act of oppression, every injustice would be blamed on him, and he would stand before mortals and immortals to be judged for it, before and after his death. There would no longer be any higher instance to fall back to, no loyalties to keep, no orders to follow or to disobey.

Had Pharazôn ever been as terrified by this thought as he was now? Or would he laugh in Amandil’s face, and tell him that if he had allowed himself to be distracted by that pile of rubbish he would never have got anything done? The second option appeared more likely, and yet his old friend, with all his blind arrogance, was living proof of all the reasons Amandil had to feel afraid.

Then lay down your life, as all you cowards do, his inner Pharazôn, let loose after such a long time, challenged him. Isildur knows much more about being a king than you ever will. You are half an outlaw, half a priest, half a warrior, and half a lord, and somehow all those halves do not even amount to a complete man. If at least you stepped out of line instead of skirting around it, perhaps I could still do you a favour and put you out of your misery, before I sailed away to meet my doom.

Amandil grimaced. A man made of halves. Or the man in the middle, as the Queen had called him once, gazing at him with those piercing black eyes that seemed to examine every inch of his soul in search of everything he was, had been, or would be. Now, he saw himself as standing between Númenor and the mainland, ferrying those who departed yet unwilling to depart himself, to let go of the Island both in body and in soul. To leave behind who he was, and turn into someone else.

That afternoon, as he returned to his house and had a cup of warm wine trickle down his throat and warm his chest, the lord of Andúnië forced himself to reach a decision.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“Governor of the Northern colonies?” Elendil was surprised, but as always he managed to turn his shock into a form of mild disbelief. Amandil nodded.

“Obviously, it will be an unofficial title, as the Sceptre has not been informed of it. But for the good running of our enterprises in the North, it would be convenient to have Isildur established in a clearer position of authority, valid for our people, if not for the rest of the Númenóreans”, he clarified. Elendil, however, did not lay down his disbelief.

“I thought that you were angry with him, for going behind your back and starting a war on his own after entirely disregarding diplomacy.”

“I am not in Middle Earth, Elendil. I am sitting in my house of Rómenna.” He served himself a cup of wine. “Perhaps what we truly need is someone who will go behind my back more.”

His son nodded slowly.

“I see.” The tension had not left his features, and it was obvious that, though he might understand, he did not quite agree. “And what about Anárion?”

The lord of Andúnië arched an eyebrow.

“What about him?”

“Will he have some form of authority, too?”

“He is there as his brother’s advisor. He does not need to derive any authority from me.

“I do not think that is a good idea.”

“Obviously.” Amandil raised his glance to meet that of his son, who as always towered above him. “Now, perhaps you can tell me why.”

“Because Isildur is a rash and impulsive man, and though this makes him a good warrior, it does not necessarily make him a good ruler.” He paused for a moment, as if it cost him to say this, but his voice was so steady that it might have just been Amandil’s imagination. “He has never liked listening to others, and if he is rewarded for following his natural inclinations, he will not even find it necessary to correct his faults.”

“He was right. And he was successful.” And we cannot afford to think deeper than that, Amandil finished the sentence in his mind. But Elendil did not seem about to let this go.

“So is Ar Pharazôn. Until the day he is not, and he leads his people to their deaths.” The jar made a sharp noise as the lord of Andúnië dropped it on the low table. “Even though he used to be your friend, you were not blind to his faults, and when he was being hailed as a victorious King, you saw clearly that success was not the sole measure of a person’s acts.”

He sounded unusually solemn now, and something in his gaze troubled Amandil, bringing back the musings that he had thought he could discard. For a while, he stared in silence at his cup, his forehead curved in a frown.

“And you think it would be a better option to have them disagree with each other’s decisions and thwart them?”

“Anárion will never thwart Isildur. He knows that his duty is to help him, and nothing is as important to Anárion as duty.”

“And what if he decides that there are more important duties? Or, what if others tell him that he should?” He left Irimë’s name implicit, as he did not feel comfortable accusing her, though he was sure that anyone perceptive would be able to guess who those words referred to. That woman certainly had the brains and the ambition to tell Anárion what he should do, and there was reason to believe that he might not be able to remain as level-headed when it came to her.

Now, it was Elendil’s turn to look troubled. Amandil knew that he had struck a nerve, though this did not make him feel any better.

“Elendil, you have been a governor in the past. You know that we must think in practical terms. Do you remember how you used to complain about Bodashtart in Arne? All the things that you could not do, all the measures that you could not take because he was appointed to watch over your shoulder?” He gazed into his son’s eyes. “Or have your views on this changed because you can trust yourself and Anárion, but not Isildur?”

Elendil winced at this, in a very rare show of open emotion. The answer, however, did not come, and at some point, Amandil realized that it was pointless to wait for it.

“I see”, he said. “I will have your insights in mind when I make my decisions, Elendil, though I have to say that we do not have too many options. We need to settle in Middle Earth, and to do it now. We need to feed and protect the people who trust us with their lives. And if Isildur can give us that, we will have to trust him.”

He stood up to leave. Elendil did not move, not even to follow him with his eyes, but before Amandil crossed the threshold of the room, he could hear his son’s voice behind him again.

“I love Isildur, Father. And I know that both his strength and his lack of qualms are necessary for the success of your enterprise. But if it was my choice to make, I would never let him rule without supervision.”

Amandil was forcefully stopped in his tracks by the quiet pain in those words. All of a sudden, he felt his own demons depart his mind for a moment, chased away by a rare impulse of protectiveness towards this son who had been an adult since the first time he had ever spoken to him.

“And I do not think any less of you for it”, he said, swallowing that knot from his throat. “Know that in a better world, where we were not in dire peril, I would have been furious at Isildur too.”

By the time he reached the end of the gallery, Elendil had still not moved from his seat.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Isildur lowered his head, repressing a shiver as he stepped inside the dank darkness of the hut. The fire that used to burn there, diffusing a faint glow that made the most mundane sight appear strange and mysterious, had been long spent, and the misshapen figure those people had called their god had been taken away. All that remained was a mound of cold cinders, visible under a small patch of sunlight passing through a small ventilation shaft, whose curtains had been pulled out from the pole where they used to hand. He avoided them carefully.

The Elders had been quite conscientious in their task, he had to admit. They had left nothing behind for their enemies to despoil, whether sacred objects, consecrated offerings, ritual adornments, or the pottery they used to partake the god’s meals. They had even gone through the spent fire taking all half-consumed logs with them, perhaps because they also considered them to be sacred, or perhaps because they foresaw a harsh exile in a land with no trees, where they would not be able to give the god his due. Before the Númenóreans came, there were no such places in these wild lands, but now, the forest which had long been receding down South in the Middle Havens was being curtailed to the North too, through the efforts of the colonists.

Through the efforts of the colonists and the active participation of their allies, he reminded himself. These people had watched gleefully as others lost their own lands, even derived profit from it. Now that they had been foolish enough to run afoul of those who protected them, they would find little support wherever they went. They had believed in the empty promises of the Merchant Princes, thinking that they would send them shipfuls of mercenaries and riches beyond their wildest dreams, if only they agreed to rid them of their enemies. But not all Númenóreans were ready to honour an alliance with a tribe of savages, and all that the Magistrate had seen in them was a convenient means to wipe out the presence of the Faithful from the North without repercussions. And if Isildur and Anárion had taken longer to arrive, or if they had been detained in Pelargir, he might even have achieved his purpose.

“Isildur”. He heard the sound of tentative footsteps by the entrance, and turned towards it to see Anárion advancing slowly in his direction. As his brother’s eyes became accustomed to the darkness enough to see the empty sanctuary, he looked slightly shaken. Isildur remembered the first time they had been here, when they supported Hazad in his war against Mogru. Back then, his brother had entered this place guided by the Elders themselves, to kneel before their outlandish god and swear their most sacred oaths to defend him and his people.

“There has been plenty of oathbreaking around here”, Isildur remarked. “I suppose that even they must know, somewhere deep inside their soul, that their god is false and would not strike them down for refusing to honour their oaths. Then again -perhaps he has struck them down.”

Anárion’s brief moment of weakness was over fast.

“No gods were involved in what happened That much I know.”

Isildur shrugged in silence, awaiting the continuation. Since they sailed away from the Island, Anárion had not sought him unless he had some business with him, and after they reached Agar, Isildur was sure that his disapproval had done nothing but grow. He had not taken part in the war, instead taking up the task of organizing the refugees and distributing aid among the most affected. Once Agar was defeated, the colonists rescued, and Isildur gave his enemies three days to leave the territory with whatever they could carry, however, he had set out to rebuild the settlements, to parcel and distribute land for farming as if the Valar themselves had made it emerge from the waters as a reward for their toils. As always, those who affected moral superiority were fastest to seize the advantages won by the actions of those they disapproved of, like it had also been the case with their father and grandfather in Númenor.

“We have just received news from Pelargir”, Anárion said at last. “Abanazer is dead, and his family was outlawed. All their money, estate and ships have been seized and put at the city’s disposal.”

Revenge, Isildur thought, feeling a coldness settle in his stomach.

“He was dead in any case, and there is nothing we could have done to save him” Anárion continued, as if he had been able to guess Isildur’s thoughts. “He was the leader of the Faithful faction. Now, life will be even more difficult for them out there.”

“This is insane. They are at least two thirds of the city’s population, and they do not move a finger to protect their own.” Vaguely, Isildur was aware that he was being unfair, but it proved too satisfying to find someone to blame, in a primal, savage way. “They are outmatched, outmanoeuvred, outvoted at every turn, and they are too scared to even raise their voice.”

“The remaining third has the support of the Sceptre. This means that a revolt would turn them all into traitors. Not to mention that the Merchant Princes have all the soldiers and mercenaries in their pay, plus the garrison of Arne, and the greatest Arnian families are counted among their debtors” Anárion predictably reminded him. “All they can do now is look down and mind their business and hope that, once the plague settles, it will be easier to leave the city. But then…”

“Thanks for your analysis of the situation” Isildur cut him short. “I am not as clever as you are, but I also have an analysis to submit to your consideration. Pelargir used to be a Faithful colony, settled by our people. When the Merchant Princes arrived, the original settlers turned a blind eye to their interference and their manoeuvres, thinking that they could coexist peacefully. Now, they are slaves in their own homeland, unable to protest the injustices done against them, even as they are picked one by one for slaughter.”

“And that will never happen in the North as long as you are here to prevent it” Anárion finished for him. “That is why you have to destroy anyone who has ever listened to them, believed in their promises, or shown themselves ready to welcome their interference.”

Isildur nodded, though he found Anárion’s sudden acquiescence more than a little suspicious.

“I would never have done this. I would have requested talks with the Master of Agar, and I like to think that I would have convinced him that he could not trust the Merchant Princes. I speak his language and know his mind, and I know how to make him see which alliance is more advantageous to him on the long run. “Anárion paused for a while, as if he was trying to find the right words to say. “I - would have averted this crisis without further bloodshed. But the next time we left, the Merchant Princes would have tried again. And again. And if that Master proved unwilling to listen, they would have sent their mercenaries to establish an ambitious kinsman in his place. Our peaceful coexistence would have been a perilous road fraught with dangers at every turn, because peace always is. That is why our King’s ancestors changed the complicated policies of their own predecessors, and since they had the greater, better trained armies, they conquered the territories they were interested in, killing and enslaving their former inhabitants.”

“We did not…”

“I know, you let them leave, and even let them take their belongings. That was very generous of you.” Again, Anárion’s expression had become completely unreadable. “Grandfather agrees.”

Lord Amandil had been very angry, but he had swallowed his temper to ratify Isildur’s decisions after they had been put into practice.

“On the other hand, this show of strength has made all the other tribes very afraid of us. They have been flocking here to swear loyalty to us almost nonstop, and bringing us tribute. I feared this war could leave us in a precarious position, surrounded by hostile natives, but I was wrong.” He took a deep, long breath, his eyes lost in the pile of ashes. “The path of violence is easier.”

Isildur bristled.

“So? When will you get to the part where you tell me I still made the wrong choice, despite all the misleading indices to the contrary? I am awaiting it with impatience.”

But Anárion shook his head.

“You do not care for my opinion, Isildur. And neither does the world. Both of you are the way you are, and I cannot presume to change either of you.” He seemed to hesitate, as if he could not decide whether to go on or not. “All I can do is understand you better, so I can make the best of what I have.”

Isildur thought he had finally learned to predict Anárion -but, just like whenever he entertained this delusion, it turned out to be wrong.

“Let us go out” he mumbled at last, after discarding several answers that went nowhere, or sounded ridiculous to his ears. “Our men are waiting outside to burn this hut, and we have been hindering their efforts for too long.”

After a while, he heard the sound of footsteps following him from a distance.

Grey Skies

Read Grey Skies

The day was warm, perhaps a little warmer than what was usual in late Spring, and yet the sky was covered by an impenetrable mass of grey. Those leaden clouds, which seemed to be announcing rain but somehow never fulfilled their threat had grown increasingly frequent in the last years, so much that Ilmarë barely noticed them anymore. And as far as she knew, neither did the rest of Númenor, too busy with their own comings and goings to raise their gaze and see Death gathering over their heads.

Even here, in the lord of Andúnië’s house, people went on with their lives, their attention absorbed by their own small, daily dramas. This particular day had dawned with Irimë furious at her eldest daughter, a rather common happening which had come to substitute her rocky relationship with her own sister. From what Ilmarë had heard, the girl had visited the city in disguise, perhaps to have some innocent fun, perhaps just to incense her mother. Ilmarë believed her too immature to have a lover, or care about anyone other than herself, but Irimë had never been one to welcome other people’s insights on her daughter’s mind. She was probably shrewd enough to realize that Faniel might have inherited her intelligence, but that in character she was much more like the women on the other side of her family: rash, daring, and determined to enjoy life as much as she could. Still, she did not appreciate being reminded of it, and whenever her daughter was found guilty of some transgression, she glared at Ilmarë as if it was somehow her fault.

Meanwhile, as Faniel’s slightest move succeeded in attracting everybody’s attention, her sister Lindissë remained in obscurity. She was a good girl, of those who believed they would come first in people’s estimation if they only worked hard and did all that was required of them. Which was probably the only trait that any of the three had inherited from Anárion, Ilmarë thought, a little too unkindly. But unlike her father, she was not very clever: the feared inheritance of Irimë’s own mother had emerged in her, and it took her hours to understand problems which Faniel would have solved in a moment. The day she realized that she would never be the child her parents took pride in would be especially cruel because it would come late, a delayed insight like the day her aunt Irissë realized that she would never know true love.

Ilmarë sighed. Even now, though she was twelve and twice her age, Anárion’s middle child was sacrificing her own leisure to keep little Findis entertained, so she would not bother their mother while she was upset. The arrangement seemed to work, as Findis loved inventing absurd and convoluted stories and making her sister draw them on paper. Ilmarë sat within earshot of the girls, listening to their conversation while she sipped on her tea.

At some point, however, the arrival of an unwelcome visitor put an end to this fragile bubble of peace. Elendur had no boys to play with, a circumstance which made him feel quite resentful. Whenever he saw the girls playing, he always took it upon himself to spoil their fun in one way or another. At first, Irissë had made some half-hearted attempt to get him to join them instead, and share in their activities, but when it became obvious that he was not interested, she did not insist. The Valar forbid that her precious son had to do anything he did not like, Ilmarë thought with a sigh, watching how her nephew asked Findis to play at being warriors with him and, faced with her predictable refusal, grabbed one of her drawings and tore it. The girl began to cry, and Lindissë’s gaze asked for help. Though she was the only adult present at this moment, Ilmarë should know better than to interfere in such a conflict, but she had never been good at listening to inner voices of prudence. If she was, her life would have been quite different.

“Elendur, stop!” she shouted, standing on her feet and walking towards the children’s table. The boy, who was in the middle of picking up a second drawing, stared at her defiantly, and began tearing it up just like the first. Such a direct challenge demanded swift response, so Ilmarë grabbed him by the arm, pried the drawing away and slapped him. It was not a hard slap, just enough to assert her authority, though she was aware that his mother might not share this opinion.

Elendur, however, did not want his mother. One look at Findis’ gloating expression was enough to dissuade him from crying, so instead, he glared daggers at Ilmarë and declared that he wanted Tal Elmar. The woman sighed, wondering if she would ever grow used to the convoluted goings-on in Isildur’s family.

“Very well, I will get him. Where is he?”

“Don’t know”, Elendur said, sullenly gazing at the floor. “And it didn’t hurt.”

“I restrained myself because you are still a little boy.” A part of her was ashamed for engaging a six-year old like this, but Elendur had the rare ability to annoy her just as much as his father ever had. “Come with me.”

“No! I hate you”, he declared. She shrugged ostentatiously.

“As you wish. I was going to find Tal Elmar for you, but if you prefer to sit here and watch very quietly while your cousins draw, I will go back to my tea.”

This tilted the balance in favour of her proposal and, very reluctantly, the boy let her take his hand. As they walked through the corridors and galleries of the sprawling house, he treated her to the extended tale of how horrible she was, how she was his least favourite aunt, and how much she would regret her actions.

“I am trembling in fear” she grinned.

“One day, I will rule you, and you will have to do everything I say”, he retorted. Her eyes widened a little at this. What stupid stories had Irissë been feeding him?

“That will only happen if you are found worthy. And for that you have to be nice to your cousins and respect me.”

“You are lying.”

“No, I am not.”

“You are.” Still, there was somewhat less conviction in his voice now. When he fell silent, there was a frown upon his forehead, and Ilmarë knew that she had given him something to think about.

As it turned out, Tal Elmar had been away from the house. Back when he had arrived from the mainland years ago, the barbarian had often gone missing like this, and though he was never gone for long, he would not say where he had been. The lord of Andúnië had not found this to be a cause for concern: according to him, as long as Tal Elmar did not leave the territory of Rómenna he would be as safe as any of them could claim to be. Still, Ilmarë had been intrigued by this mystery, and she had not given up until she wheedled the secret out of the young man. He was happy here, he assured her many times, very happy, and he could not be more grateful at them for taking him in and showing him such kindness. But sometimes, he had a mad feeling, as if he was not supposed to be here – as if the people around him were all strangers, talking gibberish at him, and everything in his life was part of a strange dream. And then he had this urge to flee, to go somewhere where he could be alone. In time, this had happened less and less, until Ilmarë believed him to have mastered his wild demons. But in this as in everything else, it seemed that demons never truly left the people they tormented.

“Elendur was quite upset by your absence” she informed him when they found him, still windswept from what Ilmarë deduced to have been a long walk around the cliffs. “So much that he decided to go and bother his cousins, even though he knows that he shouldn’t.” Immediately, the boy opened his mouth to let go of an outraged protest, but she did not let him speak. “I will leave him in your care now.”

Tal Elmar bowed solemnly at her, before frowning at Elendur. “Is what your aunt says true? Have you been behaving badly?”

The boy looked down, all traces of the attitude he had shown towards her gone.

“I am sorry”, he said, and he meant it. Ilmarë did not know whether to be relieved at this or outraged. In any case, it suddenly dawned on her that those in her family who feared that being around a wild man would make Elendur wild might have a point - even if not exactly in the way that they intended.

“Please forgive me, my lady”, the barbarian apologized, as contrite as if everything had been his fault. “I have failed in my duties.”

“You did nothing of the sort. Believe it or not, Tal Elmar, in Númenor raising a child is the mother’s responsibility. Even if he is a boy” she added meaningfully. “But since he spends so much time with you, perhaps you should begin his instruction in the ways of Númenor.”

“I do not understand, my lady.” He was acting innocent, but Ilmarë could see behind the façade. Ever since the day when he had asked her to read the Laws and Customs of the Eldar for him, he had been unable to hide anything from her.

“Elendur is young, and hasn’t seen much of the world. All he knows of it is what he is being taught by those who surround him, and he seems to listen to you above others. So, teach him the customs of Númenor so he can be a proper leader of the Faithful in the future. The same customs that you learned so well yourself, though you were as ignorant as a six year-old when you first set foot in the Island.” Her lips curved in an encouraging smile. “I am sure that Isildur will appreciate that.”

Irissë was remarkably clueless when it came to her son - or at least pretended to be, like she also pretended not to see so many other things which she did not wish to face. It might take her too long to realize, if she ever realized it at all, that while she was spoiling her son rotten, somebody else was turning him into a warrior of Agar for whom the word ‘mother’ would not mean much in the future. Even though Tal Elmar meant no evil by it, even though Ilmarë herself did not have the duty to protect her sister-in-law from her own stupidity, something inside her was bent on reminding her that Irissë already had a meaningless marriage, and that a meaningless motherhood would be too great a punishment.

“You said you would teach me to make traps and catch animals”, Elendur spoke, growing restless again at the length of their conversation. “Can we do it now?”

Tal Elmar looked briefly at him, then back at Ilmarë, then at his own hands. He seemed to be mulling over something, his brow furrowed as if in deep thought. The daughter of Elendil gave him time.

“We will do it, Elendur. But first, you have to apologize to your aunt and to your cousins for having offended them.”

The boy’s eyes widened.

“But it was their fault! I only wanted to play, and they were being stupid and Aunt Ilmarë hit me! I will never apologize to her!”

Tal Elmar’s frown was fixed on him now.

“Yes, you will. And you will promise that, from now on, if she tells you to do something, you will obey her without question.”

The boy looked downright livid at this.

“She cannot tell me what to do! She is a woman!”

Ilmarë raised an eyebrow, and Tal Elmar had the decency to look ashamed.

“She is your elder, and therefore she knows better than you do. And if you do not do as I say, you will be playing with your cousins until you do. And if they do not want you to join them, you will play alone.”

In the end, Elendur did apologize to Ilmarë, and did it so well that Tal Elmar decided that the second part of the apology could wait until he met his cousins for dinner. Then, he sent him off to the kitchens to gather small of pieces of meat and grain they could use at bait. As soon as the boy scampered away, he turned towards her.

“My lady… I did not intend…”

“Never mind”, she cut him, magnanimously. “Do not misunderstand me, I am glad that you are here, and that you are taking your role so seriously, even though the Númenóreans do not understand why you do this. I do not want to speak ill of his mother, but I must admit she is… not acquitting herself of her own duties half as well.”

“Back in Agar, women do not understand about raising a boy. A man does, because he was a boy once” Tal Elmar explained. Ilmarë sighed.

“I know. But Númenórean women are proud. They do not share their husbands and they do not share their children, and if Irissë ever decides to stop turning a blind eye at you, you will lose. Isildur loves you, but it is Grandfather who rules our destinies, and he will always take her side and defend her rights. Do you understand?” He nodded, just as reluctantly as Elendur moments ago. For a split second, Ilmarë had the mad thought that there was a similarity between them, one that mysteriously transcended the Númenórean rules of blood heritage. “Take my advice, Tal Elmar, for I mean you and Isildur well. Just as you have prevailed upon Elendur to present his excuses to me, prevail upon him to do the things that will please his mother most. Have him seek her constantly, follow her wishes, shower her with gifts and loving words. And above all, have him go to her whenever he is upset or in tears. Mothers… love it when their children do that.” For some reason, her own voice broke a little as she said this, and when she tried to cover her moment of weakness with a chuckle, it came out rather tremulous. “Though if he does that now, I will be having a row with my sister-in-law, so perhaps it is a good idea if it starts tomorrow.”

Tal Elmar had flinched while she spoke, as if physically struck by her emotion. He was aware of her sad story, and of Fíriel, but an entire lifetime away from women and their incomprehensible moods had left a much deeper imprint in him than in a six-year-old like Elendur. Ilmarë could have him trust her when she was being friendly, she could command his obedience when she was being stern, but only as long as tears and broken voices were left out of the bargain. Not for the first time, she wondered what became of those barbarians when they were forced to take a woman into their house and have children by her. She had a sudden picture of them dancing around their wives like an outlaw thrown to the wild beasts would dance around a man-eating tiger.

“I will follow your advice, my lady” he replied, as fast as if his words were a piece of meat he had thrown to appease the beast. “Thank you.”

Was he still planning to break the warrior bond one day, the way his people did, and find a wife? Somehow, Ilmarë could not even imagine such a scenario. But perhaps she was simply too much of a Númenórean, and had too little imagination. All she could be sure of was that Isildur, who was also a Númenórean and had already lost his first love, would do everything in his hand to prevent it. Years ago, he had destroyed Agar itself and routed its survivors; to sully their ancestral customs would mean nothing to him by comparison.

“Good”, she nodded, pressing her hand against his shoulder briefly before she stood up to take her leave.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

The skies were still grey as she set foot again on the terrace outside, but now there was a new radiance emanating from them, which made the people it fell upon look like ghosts. After Ilmarë had left with Elendur in tow, Lindissë and Findis had gone back to their drawings. Their heads were bent over the table, and they were much quieter than before, their voices transformed into whispers. Close to them, sitting on the chair she had vacated and gazing inside the teacup she had discarded, was Lord Amandil himself.

Ilmarë froze.

“Grandfather” she greeted him. He put the cup aside.

“I was looking for you. Lindissë told me that you would be back soon, so I decided to wait here until you came.” In the last years, no one would have described the lord of Andúnië as a talkative man, and all those superfluous words alarmed Ilmarë just as much as the fact that he had been seeking her specifically. She swallowed.

“Yes?”

“You should sit down first.” He pointed at the empty chair before him with his chin. Ilmarë obeyed out of a mechanical impulse, though her mind was far away, seized by painfully detailed scenarios of terrible things happening to Fíriel.

“There have been news from Armenelos”, he said, confirming her suspicions. “On Midsummer of this year, three months from now, the Prince of the West is going to marry the Lady Ûriphel of Orrostar, who will receive the title of Princess of the West.”

For a long while, Ilmarë was simply speechless. Then, her eyes met Amandil’s grave glance, and suddenly the words were coming out.

“But I thought he was married to all those barbarian women! What happened? And Fíriel! What will happen to Fíriel, what are they going to do about her? Are they… are they….?”

“Calm down, Ilmarë.” Her voice died on her throat, but not her worry. “We… are not certain yet”, he admitted. “But I do not believe that any harm will come to her. So far, all the women married to the Prince have been an imposition by Ar Pharazôn, and there is no reason why this one should be different. All of them have come and gone now, dead by their own hand or that of others, or escaped, if they were lucky, while Fíriel alone remained.”

“They were just barbarian slaves, and their so-called marriage a mockery. How can you claim this is no different? A woman of Númenor, daughter of a Council member, of the line of Elros and holding the title of Princess will never tolerate Fíriel’s presence!” Her mind was darkening as fast as the summer skies before a storm. “That is why they are doing it. They are doing it to get rid of her.”

“The Lady Ûriphel was not the one who brought the Prince back to life when he had almost passed over into the realm of the dead”, Amandil retorted. “Ar Pharazôn might be blinded enough by hatred as to forget this, but the Queen will not. And the Númenor of our days no longer respects the blood of Elros, or the traditions of old. That woman’s father is a lord and a Council member only because his father never objected to anything the King did, and betrayed all those who laid their trust on him. If Ar Pharazôn had wanted either of them to kiss his feet before the assembled Island, they would have done so. They have no honour, and therefore no worth, aside from their usefulness.”

Ilmarë was only barely aware that the lord of Andúnië was talking, too absorbed by her own turmoil.

“I have to go to Armenelos, Grandfather. I have to save Fíriel.”

“You will do nothing of the sort. All you would achieve with this foolish impulse is to put yourself, our family, and Fíriel at risk.”

“I do not care.”

“Your daughter is no longer a child. She has survived more than you can imagine.”

“If you think I am going to stay here and do nothing…!”

“Yes, you will!” Amandil’s voice was raised now, and as if from a great distance, Ilmarë saw Lindissë ushering a reluctant Findis through the doorstep. The younger girl was watching them with huge eyes brimming with curiosity, until her sister tugged at her hand and she was gone. “Listen, Ilmarë, you have an obligation to the house of Andúnië. You cannot let your passions rule you!”

“Like Isildur does all the time?” She had not meant to say this, but it was as if all the ingrained mechanisms telling her what to say and what to keep to herself no longer worked. “Oh, but I forget, it is all fine for him because he is a warrior, and warriors are made great by their impulses, while I am just a foolish mother.”

Amandil began opening his mouth, but soon closed it and sighed in irritation, as if he could not even think of an adequate response for her outrageous irrationality. Then, however, his gaze softened a little, and he sought her eyes again.

“Listen to me, Ilmarë. If you promise not to do anything rash, I will find a way to communicate with her. And if she fears for her life and wishes to leave Armenelos, I will help her.”

Those words did not bring Ilmarë the comfort she might have expected. Shrugging despondently, she let herself fall back on her seat.

“You amaze me. What else do you think any of us could do for her?”

“She… she will not want to leave.” It was surprisingly painful to admit it, and speak those words aloud. “I know her. She is just as foolish as I am, and has always been. Pe-perhaps even more so.”

Ilmarë had been a young girl the last time she could remember the lord of Andúnië being free with his affections, so it felt unreal when he walked towards her, and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder as she sobbed quietly.

“Do not cry, Ilmarë” he said. “Something tells me that Fíriel still has a role to play, and that the future belongs to her more than it does to you or me.”

The woman nodded, wiping her eyes with her fingers. Above their heads, the faint glow which had filtered through the clouds was gone, and the shadows obscured everything again.

“Thank you, Grandfather” she said, in a hoarse whisper that barely managed to cross her lips. “I will - accept your help.”

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Just as he had expected, she was in the Queen’s inner chambers, sitting by her side. When he entered the room, she had the good sense to look uneasy, and tried to cover her pallor with the book she was holding. Zimraphel laid a steady hand over her shoulder, and with the other she pried the book away so the girl could see her reassuring smile.

“Leave us alone, my dear”, she told her. The wretched peasant bowed awkwardly, and abandoned the room as fast as if a herd of rampaging monsters was after her.

“For the last time, Pharazôn, she is not a peasant. The blood of Indilzar might not run as true in her as it does in our son, but it is certainly as pure as that of Ûriphel of Orrostar. And she is also the woman Gimilzagar chose.”

“Which is why you got rid of the others”, Pharazôn retorted. Ar Zimraphel did not have the decency to appear startled, much less apologetic. She must have known that he would reach this conclusion since long ago, as her hand, though hidden in the shadows, had been recognizable enough for someone used to her manipulations. The Princess of Rhûn had tried to poison the woman she saw as her main rival, but Amandil’s bastard was not the one who alerted those who found the evidence. The Arnian had set fire to her own quarters in a fit of insanity, and there was no sign that anyone had helped her with it, but many in the Palace whispered about the Queen humiliating her as thoroughly as she could since months before it happened. The barbarian from the North disappeared while Ar Zimraphel ruled Armenelos, and the Guards complained that they had not been allowed to take the road East, where all evidence pointed out that she was headed. And that young girl from Harad who came to fill her place had mysteriously been left unsupervised long enough to hang herself from the bars of her window.

“No, Pharazôn”, she said, her voice as hard as steel. “You are the one who killed them by bringing them here. And you are the one who should apologize to me for filling my Palace with barbarians.”

“I did not intend for any of them to die. I only intended our son to grow into a man and forget his ridiculous childhood infatuation.”

“Like our ridiculous childhood infatuation?” Her lips curved into a smile, and Pharazôn could bear it no longer.

“Precisely”, he spat. Zimraphel did not even flinch. “Anyway. In the end, ironically enough, we have once again worked as one. Our joint efforts have given fruit, and Gimilzagar has agreed to be properly wed, because he is too noble to have more women die for the sake of his obstinacy.”

“Ah, to have the sincere love of a man with a sword pointed at his throat”, Zimraphel chuckled. Pharazôn ignored her.

“You will not interfere with Gimilzagar’s marriage, or harm a single hair of the lady Ûriphel’s head. Because, if you do, there will be war between us, and all the foresight in the world will not be enough to make my troops loyal to your cause.”

As he looked into her eyes, for a moment, they looked a little less fathomless than they used to be –and at the bottom of the well, there was a shadow of uneasiness. He latched on to it, like a warrior pressing on an enemy’s exposed flank.

“Also, we will get rid of Amandil’s bastard. She is no longer needed in the Palace.”

At this, her features closed once again, and the weakness was gone.

“No.”

“Why, Zimraphel?” He began pacing across the room, stopping for a moment to gaze at the fountain behind the window lattice before he sought her again. “Why are you so bent on protecting her? You always saw your fellow mortals as inferior beings, to be used and discarded according to your foresighted whims. What makes her so important? If you told me once and for all, perhaps we might be able to put an end to this ridiculous situation.”

She shook her head.

“I can no longer speak freely to you. Whatever I say, I know that my words will be warped and used against me.”

He stopped before her.

“Are you accusing Zigûr again?”

“He hates me, and you know it! I feel he is afraid that I will see something he does not want me to see. Something he does not want you to know.” Her voice sounded unusually upset now, even vulnerable, and he had to make an effort to remind himself that it was like this that she played with people. It was like this that she had sent Vorondil to his death. She was as much of a Deceiver as Zigûr was in the legends of the Elves, and yet he did not love Zigûr, or had his thoughts thrown into confusion whenever he looked at him. That effectively turned the High Priest of Melkor into the least dangerous of the two.

“I am not here to discuss Zigûr with you, but the girl. What do you need her for?”

“I need her to make my son happy, Pharazôn. For him to have the heart to bear all the heavy impositions that the Sceptre has placed upon him without collapsing under their weight. He may have agreed to this marriage, but in the depths of his soul he is in greater disarray than ever, and I fear for him. I need her to make sure that he will live through this.”

“So you do not need her as a hostage to bargain with the Baalim-worshippers if I should lose the war?”

Ar Zimraphel gazed at him in pretended disbelief.

“What is this? Ar Pharazôn, the Golden General himself, thinking of defeat? The unbeatable warrior, anticipating that his glorious kingdom may fall in the hands of a ragtag band of cowardly exiles? If you are not confident enough about what you are doing, perhaps you should rethink it. Perhaps you should be content with your present empire and stop this war.”

“I am only trying to comprehend how your mind works” he replied, trying to hide how his innards trembled with rage. “Nothing more.”

“You will never be able to comprehend how my mind works. You will never even be able to touch its surface, just as you cannot touch the surface of Zigûr’s mind, or understand the will of the gods” she spat, as if suddenly animated by one of those dark humours that used to terrify people when she was much younger. “That is why you are so brave, because you do not understand anything.”

“Perhaps I understand better than you think.” His voice did not tremble, and he realized that those insinuations did not upset him half as much as the idea that he could be thinking of defeat. This, he was already used to. “Perhaps it is you who are lost in the labyrinth of your own mind, and cannot understand the workings of a simple world where strength is the only thing that truly matters.”

Zimraphel shrugged. The defiance was still there, but now it had retreated someplace beneath the surface – someplace where it would remain, and no god or demon would be able to dislodge it.

“Very well” she said, in a much lower voice. “We will do things your way, then. Reach an agreement, sign a treaty, like foes in a war of those you know so much about. The girl will stay in the Palace, and you will not harm a hair of her head if you do not want me to harm the woman that you have imposed upon my son. Let them both be the pledges of the truce between us.”

Pharazôn considered this briefly. It was a surprisingly matter-of-fact proposal for someone like Zimraphel, but such a circumstance was not unwelcome to him. At the end of the day, they could threaten each other as much as they wanted, but she was needed to rule the Island while he dedicated himself to his own projects, and he commanded the loyalty of the armies. Both knew it, and this knowledge would keep them together as effectively as any infatuation.

“The Lady Ûriphel will be the Princess of the West. If she is not comfortable with the situation, Amandil’s bastard will have to hide someplace where nobody can see her. And in any case, she and Gimilzagar will not make a public spectacle of their affections as they have done until now.” He wondered what would happen if Ûriphel turned out to be bloodthirsty enough to act on her own, though considering her breeding and the ignoble stock from whence she came, this seemed rather unlikely. “And if something happens to the Princess, even if there is no way to trace it back to you, the whore is dead.”

Zimraphel nodded.

“Agreed.”

He had not expected their dealings to be so straightforward, and that was already a triumph for him, as if he had succeeded in pulling his enemy into his own, chosen battleground. Still, when he took leave from her, walked past the women who patiently waited outside, and returned to his own quarters, Ar Pharazôn could not stop Zimraphel’s dark eyes from floating in and out of his consciousness, and he had the familiar feeling that something had escaped him again.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“What is this?” Fíriel blinked, taken out of her umpteenth bleak reverie by an unexpected intrusion in her garden. The trespasser was no other than Isnayet, who bowed in apology while holding a roll of paper in her extended palms.

“I am sorry, my lady. But it was the Queen herself who sent me. She- she told me to deliver this letter to you.”

The young woman took the roll and began untying it. Her mind might be working slower than usual because she was so out of sorts, but she found herself at difficulty to pinpoint a reason why Ar Zimraphel would send a letter to her, when she could summon her to her presence whenever she wanted. Perhaps…

Only the previous day, the King had visited the Queen in her quarters. To Fíriel, Ar Zimraphel had always appeared like an unassailable bulwark, with powerful defences which nothing and no one would be able to breach. But -what if she was not so invulnerable, after all? Perhaps Ar Pharazôn, with the help of Sauron, had scared her into not wanting to be seen with Fíriel, just as Gimilzagar had also been avoiding her, according to him for her own good. This idea was frightening, even more than the option that she had simply never cared enough for Fíriel’s survival as to implicate herself in this affair. Whatever dark powers could have the better of Ar Zimraphel were powers that Fíriel could never hope to survive.

The handwriting on the letter, however, was nothing at all like the Queen’s spidery handwriting. For a while, Fíriel merely watched the words stare back at her from the paper, unable to make sense of them.

From Amandil of Andúnië to the Lady Fíriel, greetings.

There have been worrying rumours reaching Rómenna in the last months. I am concerned about you, and so are others in our family. If you wish to return home, we will do everything in our power to bring you back. Please send your answer through the same channels which brought this letter to you.

“Leave me”, she told Isnayet, in a very low voice. Once the woman was gone, Fíriel took a long, shuddering breath. Her eyesight was clouded, and belatedly, she realized that she was crying.

After an undetermined amount of time, which she was in no state to measure, Fíriel blinked the tears away, amazed at her own stupidity and imprudence. She had no real proof of who had written that letter, and at this point she knew there were powerful forces trying to get rid of her. They did not need subterfuges to do it, but letting her incriminate herself would always make things easier. Her life hung by a thread – which was what Gimilzagar had tried to tell her years ago, but she had dismissed his words, claiming that she did not care, that she would brave any peril just to be by his side. Only now that the visible proof of this love had been taken from her, like wine from a drunkard who defied gods and men in his inebriation, she was feeling alone and afraid.

“Gimilzagar loves you”, she told herself firmly. The sound of her own voice made her feel a little better. “Gimilzagar loves you.”

Like a distant nightmare, she remembered the dead, hollow look in his face the day that this poor girl, barely a child with stirring black eyes, had been found hanging lifeless over the Red Flower Gallery. It had been such a tragedy, not only because of the horror of the situation, but because of its very unexpected nature. The girl had been born in Harad, she was not a spoiled princess like the Lady Valeria. Unlike Rini, she had known the language and the customs of the Island. And above all, she was being watched day and night, so even if she was tempted to do something foolish, she would never have been able to follow through with it. They said it had been a terrible mistake; the guards outside had thought that there were women inside, but the women had gone on an errand, confident that the guards would be able to hear any sound alerting them that something was amiss. Behind those flimsy excuses, Fíriel had immediately perceived the looming shadow of Ar Zimraphel. And so would Gimilzagar, if he had not been shaking, in what turned out to be the prelude of one of the seizures he had not experienced since he was much younger.

Fíriel had been sitting by his sickbed the whole time it lasted. From this vantage position, she heard the words he whispered in his feverish transports, and though most of them were disjointed and seemed to make no sense, others were almost sane. Several times, he spoke of a woman from Harad, not this one, but an unknown woman who had died a long time ago in a faraway land. She had choked herself with her own chains, because her soul was the only thing she had left, and she wanted to deny it to the Númenóreans.

“Please, Father”, he whispered, as she wiped her forehead as well as she could. “Let the children go.”

The trance had lasted all night, and he spent the entire day sleeping fitfully. Fíriel had not moved from his side for any reason, but eventually she felt her own eyelids droop from exhaustion, and she fell asleep. When she woke up, he was gone. The moment she saw the empty bed, she had a strange premonition, which rooted her to the spot and brought chills down her spine.

Just a day later, the whole Palace was astir from the news that the Prince of the West would marry Lady Ûriphel of Orrostar. And Fíriel hid in her own chambers for days because, for the first time in her life, she did not feel strong enough to face people’s mockery.

Of course, Gimilzagar had come to explain. Not just that: he had begged for her forgiveness and understanding, which Fíriel had to grant to him because, at the end of the day, she also knew that he was right. He was killing those women with his stubbornness, and though saving so many others remained out of his reach, he could at least save them. Fíriel did not need to fear: he would always love her and no other, and he had seen to it that she would remain safe, even going to his own mother to swear before her that he would not live a minute longer than Fíriel. Still, if she wished to leave the Palace and go back to her family, he would make sure that she could reach them safely.

“You are my family”, Fíriel declared, too stubborn and prideful to accept the hand that was reaching for her in her fall. “So stop telling me to leave, for I will never do such a thing!”

Now, she was not feeling so stubborn anymore, and her treacherous pride had deserted her at some point of the endless nights that succeeded one another for the last months. Which meant that this letter could easily be her undoing. Images of Rómenna were already floating across her mind, of its beaches, its fish market and its cliffs, painted with the rosy brush of a keen nostalgia that would not even let her breathe. She remembered the humble home of her family, the rat-filled granary, the crabs she caught in her basket, but devoid of the shadow of fear which had always hovered over everything while she lived there.

Think only of yourself, and be happy. The rest is meaningless, her mother had said, as she stood near her by the cliffs on the day before she left. This was meant to convince her to stop listening to the voices of reason, or morals, or the attachments of duty, and go with the one she loved. But, was this happiness? Was the Baalim-worshipping whore who shared the Palace of Armenelos with a Princess of the West, a demon, and a King who hated the very name of her family thinking of herself at all? What was she doing to herself?

That night, as Fíriel went to bed with Lord Amandil’s letter carefully tucked under her pillow, she could not manage to fall asleep.

The Lady Ûriphel

Read The Lady Ûriphel

The next morning, Fíriel woke up with a fever. Her day passed by in a blur, between sleep and brief spells of awakening where she thought she could see shapes hovering over her. One was lighter skinned, the other darker, Isnayet and Khelened, she deduced, shivering against her bedcovers. Nobody else was there, neither Gimilzagar nor Ar Zimraphel, who should have been able to perceive her discomfort in the distance.

She was alone.

By the evening, she was feeling as if somebody had beaten her up and bashed her head against the hard floor. Still, she no longer had the ability to fall asleep so easily, so she just lay there, staring at the flickering flame of the candle in her nightstand until her eyes hurt. Her thoughts felt sluggish, and whenever she tried to focus on one, it disintegrated into a hundred, meaningless pieces. With great effort, she extracted Lord Amandil’s letter from under her pillow, but the lines were too blurry and she could not make sense of them. In the end, she fell asleep again, this time with the letter lying on her lap.

That night, she had a terrifying dream. She was running across the streets of Rómenna, chased by the roaring waters of the Sea. There was no time to turn back, so she could not look at them directly, but she knew they were there, pressing against her heels. The noise they made was like thunder, growing closer and more deafening at every passing instant, but not enough to obscure the screams of the people she left behind as, one by one, they were swallowed and buried beneath the waves.

The Fíriel of the dream, however, was not merely trying to escape her merciless pursuer. She was also looking for Gimilzagar, as there was no point in fleeing this horror if he was not by her side. But all the faces she saw, pale and disfigured by fear, were faces of strangers, and he was nowhere to be found.

Suddenly, she came to the end of the road. It was the small city harbour, where the Sea chasing her would meet the Sea before her, and the Island would be no more. There, her eyes were able to distinguish a ship, with a man standing by the helm, extending a hand towards her. He was tall and grey-eyed, and she recognized Lord Amandil, though when he spoke, his voice was that of Lord Elendil.

“Come, Fíriel. Come with us and live.”

She shook her head.

“I cannot leave without Gimilzagar.”

The grey eyes were clouded by a great sorrow, and she could no longer hear the noises behind her. Next to him, she could see her mother’s face, frowning angrily.

“When I told you to love him and be happy, I did not mean this. You disappoint me, Fíriel. I thought you would triumph where I failed, but instead you have lost yourself to the darkness.”

“You owe him nothing. He was cursed since the moment he was conceived, and he will die with his cursed Island” Amandil-Elendil chimed in. “Come with us.”

“No!” she cried. The noise erupted again, and the water under the ship began growing taller and taller. The ship towered over her, and she knew she had only one last chance to grab it before it was out of her reach. And suddenly Fíriel wanted to grab it, wanted it more than anything in the world, but her arm was paralyzed, and she could not move.

“Then be cursed with him” were the last words she heard. “You are no longer one of us.”

She woke up screaming, in such a state of agitation that it took her a long time to realize that it was not the Sea what weighted on her limbs and crushed them against the mattress. They were arms, restraining her, and the voice she heard over her head was deep and laconic. It did not belong to anyone in the house of Andúnië, but to the Khandian woman.

“She is awake”, the voice said, relaxing her grip a little. Fíriel was still shivering, but the slow torpor that had taken hold of her when she fell sick had dissipated, chased away by her dream. Her brain felt clear and sharp now –even painfully so.

“Let go of me” she ordered. Khelened obeyed in silence and retreated, back to the impassiveness she had exhibited since Fíriel took her in so she would not be sold to the highest bidder among the dirty old men who wanted to sleep with a woman who had belonged to the Prince.

“She was trying to prevent you from hurting yourself. Even wild beasts are capable of gratitude towards the hand that feeds them” a sharp voice emerged from the shadows of dawn. Fíriel took a deep breath.

“My Queen”, she saluted her. Ar Zimraphel advanced until she came in her full view, and proceeded to sit upon a chair that had been left vacant by the bedside.

“I see you are much better now, my child. I am glad for it”, she smiled, playing the role of the loving mother that she so liked to affect around Fíriel. Gimilzagar had been right about her all along. “But you should have told me what was ailing you. If you try to suffer things in silence, they will turn inwards and harm your health.”

“And fail your test?” The younger woman grinned bitterly. “If I had gone to you with my doubts, you would have got rid of me like you got rid of all the other women.”

The Queen’s eyes narrowed briefly.

“Nonsense. You are still delirious. If I had wished to make you suffer so you could prove yourself to me, I would not be here now. I would not waste my precious time talking to you, or offering you valuable advice.”

“Offering me… advice?” For a moment, it was as if the torpor had come back again to get a hold of her. Then, she gazed at the forbidding depths of Ar Zimraphel’s eyes, just as she had gazed at the flame until her eyes seemed about to burn. What she saw there shocked her so much that she was momentarily speechless.

Uncertainty. Up until today, Fíriel had not believed it was possible for Ar Zimraphel to feel this emotion. As her own mother had said once, only people who did not know what would happen were subject to it. But now, the young woman realized that there were limitations, even for what a powerful seer who held the Sceptre of Númenor was capable of.

“Yes, Fíriel. What you saw in your dream was no mere nightmare, brought about by your fever and anxiety. It is a vision of the future.”

Years ago, Fíriel would have been shocked at the Queen telling her that she knew about her dreams. Now, a much different kind of anxiety filled her mind at this revelation.

“But we all die. In my dream. A-and I died, too, because I chose to stay. I drowned, because I chose to stay. Tell me, my Queen, is this the choice that you wish me to make? To stay here and die with you?”

“Oh, I did not mean to say that the dream was an accurate vision of the future.” Ar Zimraphel seemed to have recovered her aplomb after the moment of weakness. “See, that is what you regular mortals cannot understand about foresight. The future does not exist as you imagine it, because it depends on the actions and the whims of too many people.”

“So it can be averted?” Fíriel asked, grabbing at what appeared to be essential element in the Queen’s explanation. Ar Zimraphel sighed.

“Certain things may be averted, while others may not.”

The young woman was filled with an unbearably deep frustration at this calculated evasive. She bristled.

“May I ask a more specific question, then?” When Ar Zimraphel did not reply, she pressed on. “Is Gimilzagar in danger if I leave, and will this danger be averted if I stay?”

“It may be averted if you stay”, the Queen answered. “My dear, I understand your impatience, but I cannot say more than this. All I can tell you is that, if you leave the Palace now, Gimilzagar is doomed.”

“Then why don’t you prevent me from leaving? You could put Guards at the gates of my living quarters, even imprison me. You hold all the power here!”, Fíriel retorted. “Instead of that, you send me a letter from the lord of Andúnië, offering to take me back to Rómenna with my kin, and according to you it was not even a ruse designed to entrap me!”

The Queen’s look was full of a familiar disdain now; the one she always exhibited when the people around her refused to understand what, to her, was a very simple fact.

“I need you to stay because you love him, not because I forced you. Otherwise, everything would be meaningless.” He was cursed since the moment he was conceived, and he will die with his cursed Island. The voice she had heard in her dream sounded suddenly ominous in her mind. You owe him nothing. Come with us.

“Very well. I will be wholly sincere with you, Fíriel, as you want me to. You were right, I was testing you. And if you had boarded that ship, I would not be here now. I would have sent you back with your kin in Rómenna.” Ar Zimraphel’s eyes darkened, and for a moment she was back to the self who had terrified Fíriel since she first met with her in the palace of the Governor of Sor. “And then, I would have destroyed you all. Or let Zigûr destroy you, which would amount to the same thing.” She smiled again. “But I knew that you would never do that. I know your heart, and, even now, you love him too much.”

Feeling a shiver travel down her spine, Fíriel tried not to think of how, a moment before the Sea took her, she had wanted to reach for the ship and save herself. Zimraphel shook her head.

“And yet you could not. This means that, even if your conscious mind knew what you had to do, your instincts would reject it.” She almost looked like a proud mother now. “For all these years, I have watched you grow, and you have fulfilled all the hopes I laid on you.”

Fíriel was growing more and more uneasy at this talk. She flinched, staring at her lap as if she needed to memorize the patterns of her bedcovers.

“That time I met Sa- Lord Zigûr in the gardens, he said… he told me that you had raised me for sacrifice. Like a lamb is fattened to be led to the slaughter.” Her voice was down to a whisper, and it became almost impossible to hear as she grew conscious of how well both the events and the woman’s words seemed to align with this pattern. Was this the choice everything hinged upon, the one her dream had echoed?

But Zimraphel shook her head in anger.

“Zigûr is a liar. Your own people call him the Deceiver. I, however, have not lied to you even about things I could easily have let you believe. I have also sworn to Gimilzagar that I will keep you safe from the Lady Ûriphel, her father, and the King. He has never trusted me since he was a young man, Fíriel, and yet he knew that he had no other choice but to trust me in this. That was why, when I told him not to interfere, even though every piece of his soul was aching to be with you, he kept away.”

Fíriel imagined Gimilzagar, mad with worry, trying to enter her chambers but prevented by his mother. Somehow, even though she did not know if the image was true, it gave her an irrational comfort, but it was short-lived.

“Keep me alive for what, my Queen? Why do you need to know if I am ready to die for him? Why is this so important, if Zigûr spoke false?”

The Queen sighed.

“Another rule of the future is that nobody may know it.”

“Except for you.” Fíriel was too tired to play more games. If she was a mouse, please let the cat swallow her already. She could take no more.

But Zimraphel did not gloat. When she spoke her voice, too, had become a whisper.

“I am a mistake. Someone who should never have existed, Fíriel. The true abomination of Númenor, it has always been me. My father understood it before his end.” She chuckled, a tiny sound that held an infinite amount of bitterness. “And yet I am telling you the truth. I want you to live, Fíriel, until you die of old age. And if you die before then, it will not be my doing, not even by omission. This I swear to you on the life of my son. You are free not to believe me, but if you do not, and you try to struggle against what you perceive to be my evil hand, every effort you make will drive you closer and closer to the brink. And if you fall, you will not only pull my son with you, but also the rest of your loved ones. Zigûr knows this, which is why he planted this seed of doubt in your mind. Will you listen to him, and be the cause of so much death and suffering?”

“No, but…” Fíriel protested. Ar Zimraphel silenced her with an imperious gesture of her hand, and stood up.

“Then you must trust me. And if you trust me, you may not ask more questions, but do as I say.” The uneasiness was definitely gone, leaving only the customary arrogance behind. “You will stay in the Palace, Fíriel, and you will bear your fate, just as Gimilzagar will bear his, and Ûriphel, and all of us. And one day, my impatient child, you will understand.”

As Fíriel let her head lay back on her pillow again, her mind still swimming with all the unspoken questions, she wondered, for the umpteenth time, if she would ever be strong enough to free herself from the hold that this woman had over her.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Lady Ûriphel was good looking, if not a breath-taking beauty like the previous women who had been brought to the Court for his sake. Still, her hair was raven black and her eyes grey, the ancient marks of nobility in the Island, which in Númenor were far more important than beauty itself. She was of a shorter and rounder build than Fíriel, making the forms that could be guessed under the rich fabrics of her dress somewhat ampler. Her every movement, from the slight tilt of her head when she bowed to the way she held a cup between two fingers, was overflowing with elegance, and her voice was pleasant, though it came out with just a hint of a studied inflection. Back home, she had been strictly trained for this sole purpose: to enter the Palace of Armenelos and be Princess of the West to the greater glory of her house. For too long, others had hoarded the power and status that came from being associated to the royal line by marriage, but one by one, they had succumbed to unbridled ambition, until the honour had finally returned to them as a fitting reward for their humility and prudence.

Humility and prudence. Gimilzagar could perceive that those words had been drilled in the mind of their fair candidate, as the true key to every success. At first, when she was a younger girl, she had resisted it: she had a mind of her own, even mooned after a handsome distant cousin who had been promptly sent away from her presence. But a father, an uncle, a brother who spent their lives trying to navigate the dangerous currents of the Sceptre’s whims knew better than to send such a woman to Armenelos. They had persuaded her that pride had been the downfall of the ruling houses of Andúnië and Sorontil, and that the only path to glory was to look down and do the bidding of those more powerful than themselves.

“Those gardens are so delightful!” she sighed, putting the cup down exactly at the centre of the low table before her. “One could sit here for an entire day, listening to the birds singing.”

“You will be able to do it, if that is your wish”, Gimilzagar nodded pleasantly, even though he could perceive that she cared very little for the birds. “But you have yet to see the Fountain Gardens, and the Red Flower Gallery as it was rebuilt after the fire. When Ar Adunakhôr planned to build the West wing of the Palace, all he had in mind was the pleasure of its denizens. Together with the North wing, which he designed as well, they were meant to be a home for his family.”

“That was most well-thought” she smiled. “They must have been really happy here.”

She had not been taught history, then, Gimilzagar thought.

“More tea?” he asked, in a courteous tone. She did want it, but she could not afford to appear greedy, so she shook her head and thanked him.

“Let us take a walk, then” he proposed, and she received the idea with enthusiasm. When he offered her his arm, for a moment, she even seemed genuinely excited.

Gimilzagar stayed in silence for a while, dissecting this emotion. She was not in love with him, that much was certain –he was so different from her handsome cousin that his inadequacies were made all the more glaring through contrast. And yet, in some part of her mind, she thought that she was. For that part of her mind, he was the Prince of the West, which made him the most beautiful, radiant and powerful being in the whole world. And she wanted to be beautiful, radiant and powerful by his side.

Suddenly, it dawned upon him that, for the first time in his life, he was scrutinizing someone’s mind in search for weaknesses, of openings that he could exploit to achieve his own ends. As this realization hit him, he wondered how much more of an abomination he could still grow to be.

“What is the name of this bird?” she asked, pointing at a blue-winged warbler cocking its head at them from a low branch. He gave it to her, and told her the story of how the bird’s ancestors had been brought to the Palace, together with many other exotic species that Ar Zimrathôn found pleasing to the eye. Many had died, as the climate, or captivity itself, did not agree with them, but a few had adapted and thrived. While she nodded, forcing her brain to register every word of the long explanation, he wondered if her family had even allowed the disturbing rumours about dead barbarian women to reach her ears.

“Come”, he said, pulling her arm gently until they were back on the main path. “There are many things to see before evening falls.”

The young woman nodded, and followed him with a smile.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

As their meetings grew increasingly frequent, and became an almost daily habit, Gimilzagar was able to discover Fíriel’s name in his betrothed’s mind. At first, it had been buried deep, like a shameful secret she could not even bear to think about, but then it floated towards the surface, where it appeared so glaring, so conspicuous, that sometimes he had to remind himself that her lips had remained closed. He could see it turn into an obsession, as she pondered the stories she had been told, the rumours she had heard, and set them against what she had not been told, and the rumours she had not heard. The sympathetic ladies who surrounded her had been adamant: there was absolutely no question about who should rule the Prince’s heart. Fíriel was a bastard and the child of a peasant; there was nothing distinguished about her, her kin were traitors, and she would never be more than a common whore. She had been allowed to dispose of her barbarian rivals because she had made common cause with the Queen, who detested them, but Ar Zimraphel had been in favour of this marriage, and she and the King had acted on common accord when they decided to bestow the title of Princess of the West on their son’s new bride.

And yet, those reassurances had not been enough for the young woman. She had made inquiries, even contrived to catch a glimpse of her mysterious rival, who had relocated to the southern wing of the Palace. Fíriel had a small, private garden there, where she liked to spend her mornings, but Ûriphel had discovered that there was a window with a view of it, belonging to what used to be the former Prince of the South Gimilkhâd’s foster mother’s chambers. She had somehow managed to get in there –she was more resourceful than she appeared at first sight-, though the vision had left her in so much turmoil that she had regretted it ever since.

The women had been lying to her. Fíriel was noble-looking and beautiful, not like one would have expected the bastard daughter of a peasant to look. With this image haunting her, Ûriphel had looked into a mirror and suddenly found her own appearance lacking. She had pressured her parents to make new dresses for her, and spent her mornings having her hair done and her face painted until she was satisfied with the slightest detail. Every day, she made the women in her company tell her that she was the fairest lady in the Palace, but even as they complied, she could not believe in their words. Because if she was, that woman would not be there.

Gimilzagar had to confess he had been caught by surprise by the extent of her misery. To him, acquainted with the minds of so many who had been killed, tortured, enslaved, or lost their loved ones to violence, and who had felt them wallow in their grief, terror and hatred, it seemed unthinkable that a woman like Ûriphel could spend so much time agonizing over her looks. At some point, her feelings grew so distracting that he could no longer come up with words for their small talk, and instead stared at her in silence, wondering if she would ever bring up the subject. But no matter how long he waited, she never did.

Humility and prudence. That was how her house had survived for so long in turbulent times, and that was why her parents and every single one of her ancestors would never forgive her if she risked the reward of all they had endured for her own selfish motives. Soon, they would be wed, and she would be the Princess of the West, and then he would have to love her. And once that he did and she was certain of it, then, and only then, she would confront him.

Gimilzagar sighed. His father accused him of being too sensitive, and his mother had warned him against the temptation of letting oneself be carried away by the thoughts and feelings of other people. They are not you, she had told him, fixing her dark glance on his. You do not bleed when they are cut, so why should you weep when they are sad? For years now, he had resigned himself to being a disappointment for them, but this time, this one, single time, he had easily found the determination to act as he was meant to. He did not love this woman: she had been imposed upon him. She had not been dragged there by violence or against her will, so he did not even have a reason to pity her. Of all the people involved in this sad affair, the only one deserving of pity was Fíriel. She had understood that he had no choice, forgiven him, even decided to stay at the Palace despite Gimilzagar’s better advice, though her family would have welcomed her back with open arms. He had seen what was in Ûriphel’s mind, studied her vulnerabilities to know how better to circumvent the obstacle that she posed, but he would never let them sidetrack him.

“It has come to my attention that you are preoccupied of late” he finally said one day, during one of their walks. “That you are asking many questions about the lady in the South wing.”

He was holding her arm, so he could feel her body tense against his. Deeper under her skin, her mind was a blurred jumble of alarm, trepidation, and fear. Who had given her away? Did he have spies watching her?

“I know many things”, he said, simply. “But it is better if we are open with one another. If you have questions, I will be glad to answer them, so you do not have to trust rumours.”

She stopped in her tracks, and he stopped with her. Letting go of him, she gazed studiously at the tiled path under her feet.

“I did not mean to hide anything from you.” He could hear her swallow. “I was merely… embarrassed.”

“I see”, Gimilzagar nodded. “Well, as I see it, there is no reason for you to be. I am the one who has a lover, not you. If any of us should be embarrassed, it is me, and I am not.”

Now, the trepidation was swallowed by an overpowering sense of hurt, which almost jeopardized his resolution. They are not you, he repeated to himself.

“You love her”, she said. It was not a question, but her voice was so small that he almost could not hear it.

“Since I was a child, Ûriphel.” It came out as if it was the most natural thing in the world. “And she is the only woman I will ever love.”

For the first time in the young woman’s sheltered life, the humility and patience she had always been taught were no longer there to check her impulses. That is good, a voice, which sounded very much like Ar Zimraphel, whispered inside his mind. Let them betray themselves: that gives you power over them.

“But she cannot be your wife, because she is just a peasant’s bastard” she spat. Then, she immediately became aware of what she had said, and her eyes widened in alarm. Her cheeks flushed crimson. “I… I mean…”

“I know very well what you mean. And you are right, she cannot be my wife. All she was allowed to be was my whore, and she still chose that path.” Her eyes widened, scandalized at such crude language coming from his lips. “If you had been given that alternative, would you have made the same choice? Would you be here if it brought dishonour upon you and your kin, instead of honour?”

Ûriphel remained silent. The impulse to speak, to say something even if she would regret it later, seemed to have deserted her as fast as it had come. For the second time, the impulse to feel pity for her was about to gain the upper hand. He did not give in to it, but his voice softened, and he held her limp, unresponsive hand in his.

“Do not worry, Ûriphel. You and your family shall have the honour that you seek. You will be Princess of the West, and all the people of Númenor will bow before you.”

“Not all the people of Númenor.” It had left her lips, inadvertently, almost like a thought being spoken aloud. He shook his head.

“None of us can have all that we want, my lady. Not even the King. Such is the curse of mortals, which he is trying to escape by building thousands of ships to wage war on the gods. It may be that he will be victorious and escape his fate, but even then, we will remain tied to ours.” For a moment, Gimilzagar had to make a strong effort not to think of the malice in Ar Pharazôn’s voice the night he asked him what he would do if the weight of the moral choice his life rested upon was laid on his shoulders alone. If this woman had an inkling of the horrors that lurked beneath the dazzling trappings of power, she should run for the hills.

But she will not. She will stay, against her better judgement, and grow entangled in their doom, the thought emerged in his mind, fully formed. His eyes widened, and he shivered, as he grew aware that he had experienced a bout of foresight.

“Please, do not be upset”, he said, and this time, he pitied her truly, with a pity that he could no longer extricate from the veil of shadows that suddenly loomed over her. “I cannot love you, but I promise you shall have everything else you desire. I do not see you as an enemy, and neither does Fíriel, and now that there are no secrets between us, perhaps in time we can even be friends.”

Ûriphel opened her mouth, closed it, then swallowed again. In the end, her good breeding had been stronger than her turmoil, and the unthinkable words had remained unspoken. Still, he could see them still on the forefront of her mind, seared with a burning intensity made all the greater because she could not let them out.

I do not want to be your friend. I hate you.

“I am… cold”, she said at last, feigning a shiver. Her voice was dull, in sharp contrast with the intensity of her thoughts. “Perhaps we should go back inside.”

“Of course, my lady”, he nodded courteously. This time, he did not offer her his arm, and none of them came up with any empty pleasantries as they retraced their steps to the stairs that gave to the veranda, and from there to the gallery where her women awaited.

While they walked in silence, Gimilzagar was lost in his own musings. Had he made a mistake, a terrible miscalculation which could have triggered this sinister warning about the future? But the more he examined everything he had said and done, the more he grew aware that there had been no other options. As it had happened so often in his life, he had been deprived of meaningful choices by the actions of others. And they, not him, would be at fault for everything that followed from that moment on.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The day before the wedding, Isnayet came to tell Fíriel that Gimilzagar was there to see her. She did her best to muster her anger at his imprudence, but her heart was already fluttering in her chest before he came in, and she knew that she would lose this battle.

Even if your conscious mind knew what you had to do, your instincts would reject it, the Queen had said, back when she was telling Fíriel why she was valuable enough to be protected. Many would call it being a lovesick fool, and argue that Ar Zimraphel was using Fíriel’s feelings as a chain she could yank at any moment, but the younger woman was past caring about what other people thought. At this point of her life, she had burned all her bridges, and if she had made the wrong choices, it was too late for regrets. And perhaps it had always been. More and more often, she had the feeling that all those choices had been nothing but illusions, and terrible as this seemed, it was also strangely liberating.

“Fíriel” he muttered, burying his face against the back of her neck as he held her in a tight embrace. “Fíriel.”

All the reproaches that she had prepared died in her throat, as her body grew viscerally aware of his raw need. Barely gathering enough of her wits to check that they were alone, and that Isnayet had closed the door behind her, she held him fast, letting her lips part to welcome his kiss.

This, however, only served to ignite a much greater fire in her chest. Still gasping for air, she tiptoed backwards in erratic movements, like a drunkard, pulling him with her until she felt something hard bump against her knee, and fell atop the silk cushions of her couch. For a moment, his gaze trailed over her body, darkened by desire, until his hands took over and he began undressing her as if he held a personal grievance against her clothes. Fíriel moaned.

I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you. I cannot live without you.

His thoughts were invading her mind like a cascade, thundering and impetuous. In them, he was a child, staring in wide-eyed wonder at the sun-tanned girl who stood before him, sure-footed and brave, and extended her palms to offer him shellfish. He was recoiling after she had slapped him, but then she gathered him in her arms and began sobbing against his shoulder. He was a young man, holding her in her arms while she bled, unconscious, after tearing the knife meant for him from the would-be murderer’s hand. He was lost in a dark dream, and she came to rescue him from the ghosts who were dragging him to his inexorable fate. He was shaking, the smell of sacrifice still in his skin, in his clothes, in his hair, and she threw him over her bed with a fierce spark in her eyes.

I want to have you. To feel your body against mine. To feel alive in this rotten world. And you will not deny me this, Gimilzagar!

“I will not”, he whispered. “I will not.”

After it was over, they remained lying on the couch for a very long time, revelling even in the uncomfortableness of the small, cramped space. He had needed to curl up into a ball, while her left leg and arm were dangling precariously from the edge. A fitting position for them, she could not help but think.

“What would your bride think if she saw us like this?” she asked at last. She did not raise her voice, but in this total silence, her words had the same effect as a hundred glasses breaking at the same time.

“She knows”, he replied. Fíriel blinked. “I told her the truth. That I would always love you, and no other.”

“Are you mad?” Her most girlish, foolish side was feeling flattered, but the rest of her was shocked enough to drown this emotion. “How could you say such a thing to her?”

“Fíriel, she would have known. She is young, but she is not stupid. She already knew who you were, and everybody was telling her stories about you!” As he spoke, he grew more and more excited, until he abandoned his prone position to struggle to his feet. “She could not understand why you were still here. And, though she did not ask me directly, I could see the question torturing her day and night. Do you think she would have simply forgotten about it in time?” Too much energy engaged in his refutation, she thought, her well-honed instinct kicking in. He was feeling guilty about something.

“I am not”, he retorted. “None of this is my fault, or yours. You know very well whose fault it is.”

“Hers?” Fíriel shook her head, a little petulantly. “Gimilzagar, you are the heir to the throne of Númenor. No Prince of the West has ever remained unmarried.”

“I am not the Prince of the West. I am a contingency solution until the King manages to secure his prized immortality, or until he loses his war at the expense of us all. And nobody knows better than you that I cannot have children, so however you look at it, I am a dead end. Fíriel, you know why I caved in and agreed to this, and responsibility towards our kingdom was not the reason.”

“And yet the matter remains that you agreed to it. And tomorrow, this woman will become the Princess of the West.”

“She will never be a threat to you. She is just a young girl, in love with the title and eager for her family’s approval, who will never do anything to jeopardize her position. And you do not need to feel sorry for her, either. She is not a barbarian brought here against her will. She is a noblewoman of the Island, and she will be held in much greater respect and reverence than any of those hapless women were.”

Fíriel considered those words with a silent frown. Then, she raised her glance until their eyes met again.

“But if that is so, then why are you feeling guilty?”

Gimilzagar blinked. He really thought, even now, that he could hide things from her or distract her from her purpose.

“I am sorry, Fíriel. It was not my intention to hide anything from you, or deceive you in any way. What I have said is the truth.”

“But not the whole truth”, she insisted. His eyes darkened, as if he was suddenly wrestling against an evil thought.

“You know that sometimes I… know things. Things that have not happened yet.”

Fíriel nodded with a shiver. Recently, she had acquired a small taste of what that was like, thanks to the Queen. Luckily for her, Gimilzagar was too absorbed by his own concerns to pay attention to that particular thought.

“Yes, I know about foresight. It ran in my own family, as well –the house of Andúnië, I mean”, she babbled. “My great-great grandfather…”

He did not even seem to have heard her.

“The day I confronted her, I wounded her. I was trying not to attach much importance to this, because I was certain that she was just young and foolish, and would recover from it. I had seen her mind, and knew very well that she did not love me.”

“Oh, you are so naïve”, she cut him, shaking her head. That love was not the driving force behind most people’s actions was something she had learned very early on, during her first months in Armenelos –which was why she had been unable to ignore Rini’s plight when she revealed herself as the kindred spirit Fíriel had always suspected she was. But for most denizens of the Palace, Rini was a monstrous oddity, a mindless barbarian, and so was she.

Gimilzagar ignored her this time, too.

“It was then that it suddenly came to me, like a… piece of knowledge materializing from nowhere. That, from that moment on, from that very moment on, she was doomed.”

Fíriel stared at him for a while, in silence.

“Doomed”, she repeated. “Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“But…” It made no sense, she was the Princess of the West. Not even the Queen would dare move against her. It made no sense, unless… “Do you think it has… anything to do with the King’s expedition? Perhaps we are all doomed, not just her.” And Fíriel was the only one who held the key to salvation.

“Perhaps.” Gimilzagar was still frowning, which told Fíriel that he was not convinced of that theory, but he forced his lips into a smile. “I wonder what does it say about us, that we find that option comforting.”

“I guess it feels familiar”, she replied in kind. “Not to mention it would absolve us of any personal responsibility. After all, we have already established that none of us has the power to stop the King.”

Gimilzagar said nothing to this, barely acknowledging her words with a nod. Soon, he changed the subject, and sat by her side to watch the sun sink behind the gleaming rooftops, until he had to kiss her goodbye to return to the onerous task of the last wedding preparations.

After he was gone, and she was left alone, Fíriel was struck by the awareness that, for the first time in her life, she was the one who was keeping the greater secret.

 

The Royal Wedding

Read The Royal Wedding

The people of the Island had seized the chance to celebrate with an enthusiasm that Ar Pharazôn did not remember from the past, even after his greatest triumphs in the mainland. In Armenelos, as well as all the other cities they visited afterwards, the Prince and the Princess were received by rapturous crowds who held their hands towards them, calling their names as if they were gods. The celebrations lasted for days, and in them wine flowed in abundance, and the young caroused merrily until late into the night.

They have not had any reason to be merry for a very long time, Zigûr had remarked, when he detected the King’s puzzlement over the attitude of his subjects. Your preoccupation with the greatest of all campaigns has made you neglect those small victories which made them feel masters of the world. Then, the plague, the floods and earthquakes were perceived as defeats, and they did not see you retaliate against your enemies. You were not even in Armenelos when most of those things happened, but in Forostar with the shipbuilders. They have been feeling abandoned and afraid, and so eager for reassurance that they have latched onto a mere wedding as proof that things are back to the way they used to be.

The High Priest of Melkor had a point, Pharazôn thought, even if tainted by the twin insinuations that he should not leave Zimraphel to rule in Armenelos and that he had to do something about the enemy’s agents in Rómenna. The populace was not so different from a child, who had to be constantly reassured that everything was well, and panicked at the slightest sign of uncertainty. If he wanted to keep the peace in the Island while planning an expedition the likes of which had never been attempted before, if he wanted everyone to believe in him as years went by among costly preparations and harsh setbacks, he needed to adjust his strategy. This insight about how celebrations could be so effective might come in handy: perhaps the portion of the fleet which had already been completed could be paraded around the Island for everyone to admire. Then, he could declare war upon someone or other under the pretext of getting timber for the newest ships, or perhaps quell a rebellion, and celebrate the resulting victory as if it was a major event.

Of course, Zigûr would smile condescendingly at those suggestions, in that way which made Pharazôn feel as if he was a schoolboy trying to get out of an unpleasant task. He often wished he could wipe it off from the spirit’s accursed features, though deep inside he knew that the truth would remain in his mind even if there was no one to remind him of it. There was only one thing which would give the people of Númenor true confidence, and make them feel avenged of all their misfortunes, and that was entering Rómenna, seizing each and every Baalim-worshipper in there and making them pay for the war crimes committed by their side. But in order for that to happen, he would have to break an oath, one of the few things he was not ready to do. It was madness to think that someone ready to take on the Baalim of the West would be stopped by fear of divine wrath, but whenever he thought about it, it was not stone altars refusing to burn for him or sacred curses what he saw in his mind, but that fool Amandil’s face, frowning as Pharazôn swore before him.

You have conditioned our friendship to my support in a civil war. As I do not know what other conditions you will set in the future, I will not take any chances.

It was almost unconscionable that, at this juncture, Pharazôn would still be set on not proving his former friend’s dire predictions right. Amandil was a traitor to the Sceptre, a disloyal weasel trying to get away with a hundred little deceptions that did not make him stick out his neck visibly enough for Pharazôn to smite him down. They had not been face to face often in the last decades, but whenever they had been, the former lord of Andúnië had seemed infuriatingly certain that he was safe from the King’s wrath, merely by virtue of who he was. He probably still thought that he was coated in that protection, and that Pharazôn could not bear the idea of harming him for smuggling wanted people and refugees away from the Island in secret, or establishing them in colonies away from the Sceptre’s reach. He must even believe he could guarantee, by his existence alone, that his people would get away with praying loudly for their Baalim to win this war against Númenor, and punish everyone else in the Island for their perceived impiety.

Amandil, that you cannot tell a King to his face that he owes you his life does not mean that he does not remember it.

His own words from the past made him wince briefly, and as he took a sip of the wine in his cup, he grimaced at the bitterness. Yes, Amandil had saved his life, but how many times had Pharazôn saved his? Even more, how many times had Pharazôn spared him, and the people beloved to him, for that reason alone? They owed each other nothing by this point, except the fealty that Amandil owed him for wielding the Númenórean Sceptre. What was the point of looking back, towards debts which had long been repaid?

Because you long for a time when they were not debts, a rebellious inner voice whispered in his mind. Because you miss feeling so strongly about someone else that you would risk anything to make sure that he lived, and knowing that he would do the same for you. Because now, your own wife has turned into a dangerous stranger, and your son fears and hates you in equal measure. All your comrades are dead, your councilmen and courtiers live in terror of you, and the man who used to be your friend is the last rope you pathetically hold on to, only because he does not fear you as much as everyone else. But you have to understand that you brought this upon yourself, Ar Pharazôn the Golden. A mortal should not strive for godhood before he is sure he can bear the loneliness that comes with it.

“The King is here!” The High Chamberlain’s voice distracted Pharazôn from his unseemly musings, just in time to see that fool from Orrostar making a beeline for him. He was not in the mood for the man’s fawning, however, so he dismissed him curtly and sought the Governor of Sor’s halls for more interesting company. Zigûr rarely came to feasts, and this one had not been an exception. Amandil, as an exile, had of course not been invited, even though his house was only a few miles away. Still not fully recovered from the maudlin mood which had gripped his spirit that evening, the King caught himself longing for a time when he would have just taken a horse and snuck into his friend’s house in disguise. Angry, he wondered what was the matter with him.

In the end, nothing freed Pharazôn from the obligation of exchanging words and accepting florid congratulations from the most important people in the East of the Island. He listened to men and women wax lyrical about the bride’s beauty and the radiant glow of her face, and remark upon Gimilzagar’s extraordinary resemblance to his father. Their happy union, blessed by the gods of Númenor, was a joyful anticipation of the soon-to-be achieved victory over the evil forces of the West. Of course, Ar Pharazôn was aware of all the analogies, some subtle, some rather less so, established by poets and singers between the love wars taking place in the Prince’s bed and the real war to be waged outside the Palace. The daughter of the Baalim-worshippers was a wanton whore, like all those of her kind, and her wiles had kept the Prince of the West in thrall for a very long time. But the righteous innocence of the Lady Ûriphel’s love had prevailed in the end, and her wholesome beauty had triumphed over her rival’s dark arts, just like Númenor itself would triumph over those trying to destroy it. Some poems and songs had even gone as far as to express a wish to see Amandil’s bastard humiliated utterly, and her total absence from the proceedings had been found disappointing by many. That would certainly have been a way to improve the morale of the public that Pharazôn would not have minded, if it had not meant breaking his pact with the Queen, who had scrupulously kept her side of the bargain so far. Unlike the oath sworn to Amandil, this pact was the equivalent of a fortified border, protecting the Palace of Armenelos from a very real war which he could hardly afford at the moment.

“My lord King”, the bride saluted him, bowing slowly and with great care not to have the red veil fall back over her face, where it used to be before she was officially married. Her features were indeed radiant, if only from the excess of white paint that her women had spread on her skin so it would be visible to the crowds. As for the rest, her eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep, and her smiles looked forced. Gimilzagar had always liked to act as the champion of the weak, saviour of the oppressed and comforter of the unfortunate, but this did not seem to extend to the woman who had usurped Fíriel’s place. Then again, if someone was ever in need to live in a state of perpetual delusion about his real nature, that was Gimilzagar. The night that Pharazôn had glimpsed this truth in his son’s horrified eyes, that he did not wish to die no matter how many lives were lost, he had realized that Gimilzagar might not be as different from him as an entire life of denial had made him appear. And if so, this would be the only thing that the flock of Court sycophants had managed to get right.

The Prince’s greeting was much more perfunctory, yet adequate enough to avoid breaking etiquette.

“Please, have a drink” he offered, gesturing at a cup-bearer to fill Pharazôn’s goblet. The King smiled.

“Only if you share it with me.”

“Forgive me, my lord King. I do not know if I could possibly drink any more” Gimilzagar objected. Pharazôn shook his head dismissively.

“You look sober enough to me. Drink; it will help you perform tonight.” As he turned his gaze slightly to catch a glimpse of Ûriphel’s expression, he did not see her blush, as one might have expected. Instead, she had a stony look in her face, and for a moment she even seemed about to open her mouth and say something. But prudence won out, and she looked down in silence.

The Prince of the West pretended to ignore her, while he had his own cup filled. Still, he had to be aware of what Ûriphel had left unsaid, and of what Pharazôn had seen. When they raised their cups together, the maudlin mood came back, this time accompanied by a more familiar anger. Why couldn’t they be a father and a son, even in this?

“Listen to me, Gimilzagar”, he said in a sharp, yet low tone intended for his ears alone. Ûriphel drew closer instinctively, but Pharazôn gestured at her to stand back, and she stopped in her tracks. He took Gimilzagar by the arm, pretending that he was off to impart wisdom like a normal father would have done at times like this. “You will need to keep your wife either happy or in line. I would have thought you more suited to the first than to the second, but if you truly cannot do your duty towards her, you will have to frighten her so much that she never dares speak a word of this to anyone. Right now, she was entertaining the idea of telling me that you have not touched her yet. And if she can even think of doing that, I am sure that many gossiping women and a few meddlesome men will have heard already. Do you know what this means?”

The Prince of the West did not gaze at him, choosing instead to pretend he was absorbed in the movements of the dancers who entertained the distinguished audience from atop a marble-sculpted dais.

“Yes, my lord King.”

“You are the Prince of the West. You are free to be as unhappy as you wish, but you may never look unhappy to others. And that goes for your wife, too.”

For a moment, Gimilzagar looked at him. It was only a brief instant, and yet Pharazôn had a strange feeling, as if their thoughts had collided and the intrusion had left a faint, burning sensation in its wake.

“And for you, my lord”, his son said. There was no challenge in his tone, or in his countenance: anyone who did not know what they were speaking about would see nothing there but the most perfect courtesy. Ar Pharazôn blinked.

“Finish that wine and get out of my sight”, he hissed, letting go of Gimilzagar’s arm and gesturing at the Governor of Sor to approach.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

They reached the small cove they used as an impromptu harbour late at night, when the vigilance was low and most of the Governor’s coast guards had been pulled from their duties on the occasion of the Prince’s wedding festivities. Isildur, Anárion and the men who travelled with them had squeezed themselves into the tight space of a small lifeboat for the last mile, while the bigger ship kept to its usual route towards Rómenna, where the local authorities would inspect their merchandise. According to Lord Amandil, they would be very lucky not to have it seized and confiscated on the spot for not having the seal of approval of the Pelargir Magistrate, the way things were going in the Island of late. But, just like every single coin invested in this costly enterprise, the money used to buy that cargo had been counted as lost from the moment it was spent. If the Powers that Be did not see fit to strike down Ar Pharazôn soon, the lord of Andúnië might be reduced to a beggar, Isildur thought wryly.

This time, however, it was Elendil who was waiting for them at the meeting point. He greeted and embraced them without any undue emotion that could attract unwelcome attention, or lengthen the process more than what was strictly necessary. Then, he guided them through paths that did not cross the main road, which would be full of revellers tonight, until they reached the foot of the cliff. There, and only there, he allowed his mood to relax a little.

“You smell as if you had not bathed in a month” he said.

Anárion smiled.

“I wonder why.”

Isildur climbed the familiar path in silence, walking behind his father and brother with the others while he listened to their animated conversation. A fitting position, as far as he was concerned, he mused idly. He had never felt too close to Elendil in the past, and his decision to attack Agar without awaiting the permission of the Island seemed to have put a drastic end to whatever understanding they had managed to reach while they worked together. Isildur could feel it even through the brief exchanges they had over the cold surface of the Seeing Stones: his father did not trust him, and probably wished Anárion to be his heir as dearly as the former King Gimilzôr had once wished to appoint Gimilkhâd his successor. But, if a younger Isildur would have been only too happy to relinquish his birthright, and not looked back once, these last years had made him keener to lead than he had ever been. The more he learned, the more he knew the things that needed to be done, the less happy he was about all that tiresome questioning, second-guessing, and evaluating of his actions. Not to mention that only a leader would be entitled to break those absurd laws and customs that made Númenóreans slaves to an Elven nature they would never partake in.

A King once knew an enormous success after saying something similar. He was called Ar Adunakhôr, I think, though our parents would not even say his name aloud because their parents had taught them to revile him as a monstrous sinner and an enemy of Heaven. Malik did not come to him as frequently as he used to, back when Isildur needed his presence even to breathe. Still, now and then he still saw fit to impart his peculiar brand of wisdom to his old friend. The current King has him as a model, but should the leader of the Faithful share his model with Ar Pharazôn?

“Perhaps he was right, at some fundamental level.” Malik raised an eyebrow, and Isildur knew he was remembering Isildur’s outrage long ago, when Elendil followed Pharazôn’s lead in the matter of the sacrifices at the siege of Pelargir.

I was also remembering the day Ar Pharazôn had me tortured and sacrificed to Melkor by the hands of his demon. But I think too highly of you to believe you would destroy others only to achieve your desires.

“Well, that same day, we killed innocent Palace Guards for the sake of a tree. How do you call that?” He sighed. “I do not remember you being so judgemental before.”

I am not anything. I am here because of you, so whatever I say or do, I say or do it because you need me to. In other words, I am what you are missing.

“And right now, I am missing a conscience. But when Tal Elmar was throwing himself at me, I had too much of it. Do you have fun trying to pull me apart in every direction?”

Now, Malik’s voice sounded angry.

I am preventing you from pulling yourself apart in every direction, Isildur. Denying your desires would only have turned you into a monster. But having them prevail over everything will not make you a good ruler, either.

This struck a nerve inside Isildur.

“I am not just thinking of my desires. I think of Lord Amandil’s vision of the Faithful being led to a safe homeland before disaster strikes. I think of the colonists, of their lives and those of their children. I think of this, and of so many other things that I often do not have the time to sleep at night. And you grow more out of touch with me the longer you stay dead, even if you try to pretend the opposite.”

Malik retreated after this, and Isildur knew it would be very long until he returned. It was not a moment too soon, for the path was nearing its end by now, and his eyes could make out a throng of people waiting to receive them despite the late hour. There was Mother, of course, and Grandfather, with Irimë, Irissë, Faniel and Ilmarë standing right behind. All were determined to embrace them, and as Elendil had predicted, none was deterred by the smell that emanated from their bodies after a full month of sea voyage.

“Father!” Faniel cried, almost knocking Anárion off his feet in her enthusiasm. “Did the Elves guide you past the coastal guards? Did they make you invisible so you would not be seen?”

“There were no Elves. We did it all by ourselves”, he smiled. Irimë watched her daughter’s inappropriate behaviour with a frown, but for once she did not say anything. Instead, she waited until Faniel disengaged herself from her father to greet him with dignity. Beneath her composure, Isildur could detect a subdued yet warm glow of happiness.

“Wait until you see how much Elendur has grown while you were away. He is the most handsome, clever, audacious little boy! And the spitting image of his father through and through. Oh, I swear that whenever he looks at me with those eyes, I gaze back at them and I can almost pretend you never left!” Irissë had always been eager to grab any chance to fill his head with mindless chatter, but since she had a son, Elendur had turned into her only subject of conversation. “When he heard that you were coming, he was so excited! For days now, putting him to sleep has been a nightmare, because he was sure that you would arrive as soon as he lowered his guard and closed his eyes!”

While she spoke, Isildur had the time to hug Eluzîni, bow to the lord of Andúnië, and reach Ilmarë, who greeted him with a slightly listless smile. Whenever Irissë waxed lyrical about their son, Isildur had grown used to see her roll her eyes or even mouth a retort outside her sister-in-law’s earshot, but this time she did not even appear to notice.

“He will not be deceived easily, that one! And you should be thinking of what you are going to tell him, because he is adamant about following you to the mainland this time! In his own words, he wants to ‘sail to Middle-Earth and fight the wild men with Father’. Isn’t he adorable?”

“You spoil that boy too much”, Irimë interrupted the torrent severely. “He may be adorable now, but when he grows up he will be rowdy and lawless if you let him get away with everything. We are fortunate to have that barbarian Lord Isildur brought from the mainland, at least he knows how to deal with him.”

Irissë’s cheeks blushed purple.

“Oh, I am sorry. Apparently it is wrong to wish your child to love you, instead of resenting you and doing anything they can to spite you!”

“You are doing admirably”, Eluzîni cut them before they could start an argument. “But it is true that children are difficult by nature, and there are not two of them who will respond equally to the same upbringing. For example, take Isildur and Anárion. After my experience with the first, when the second came along I was certain that if I took my eyes off him for a second he would break every object in the room, bash his head, sprain his ankle and fall down a cliff. But as it turned out, the most destructive thing he ever did was to make a mess of trying to repair the binding of a book with glue, so we would not notice he had damaged it. Elendil went to pick it up and realized it was glued to the table!”

At this, even Irimë had to smile, and the incident was closed. Only Ilmarë’s expression remained vacant; she did not seem to be listening to anything they said. Belatedly, Isildur remembered the reason why they had scheduled their arrival at this particular date, which was no other than the Prince of the West’s journey to the East to introduce his new Princess. Fíriel had not returned home, choosing instead to stay in the Palace under Ar Zimraphel’s capricious wing. Isildur tried to imagine how it would be like to live as the whore of Armenelos, beneath the gaze of your lover’s wife.

This train of thought, however, only brought him back to the subject of Tal Elmar, so offhandedly mentioned by Irimë as the sole reason why Elendur had not turned into a little monster. For all those years, the young half-barbarian had been there, taking his self-appointed duties as seriously as if they were in Agar and Isildur was an elder tribesman. Whenever Isildur came on a visit, Tal Elmar reported on the boy’s progress proudly, and snuck away with the father for a few stolen hours of lovemaking. Irissë did not find anything strange in all this, though Isildur had no idea to what extent this was mere pretence on her part. He knew that she was not as stupid as people thought, and also that she had a penchant for pretending that things were rosier than they were, only acknowledging a harsh truth if stood before her screaming in her face. With Isildur treating her well, and not neglecting any of his duties, she may have decided it was better not to disturb the proverbial anthill. Still, somehow, he had a hard time imagining that her mind would be able to comprehend what truly took place between her husband and the barbarian whenever they were alone. And if she did, Isildur doubted very much that she would be able to remain so impassive. Even wilful blindness had its limits.

On the other hand, what worried him even more was the feelings of Tal Elmar himself. For the last years, Isildur had often found himself pondering feverishly the few details he knew about the ways of Agar. Those had been all transmitted by his lover, because asking Anárion was out of the question, and the Agarenes themselves had been expelled from their lands years ago. The young man’s reaction to that had already given Isildur a good measure of just how different the Forest People could be from the Númenóreans: when he heard, he merely shrugged and told Isildur that this meant he no longer had an obligation to go back and challenge his brother.

One thing alone was clear to him: the warrior bond was not meant to last forever among the Agarenes. It was meant to involve a young man who was still not knowledgeable enough in the ways of war and life in general, and an older man who would teach him and help him attain his own status. Once this happened, the young man would no longer allow the older to have his way with him. At some point, he would find a wife, and then, Isildur guessed, he would also find a young man of his own. But he did not know where did the raising of the other man’s sons fit in all this, if it was done while there was still a physical relationship, or later, while the young man still didn’t have children by his wife. He also did not know what was the right age for doing any of those things –or to stop doing them. Trying to translate the count of years among men of lesser lifespans to Númenórean patterns gave him a headache, and even if he managed to do it, he had no idea of where Tal Elmar fit in all this. He had Númenórean blood, yes, but would that be enough to age like a Númenórean?

Still, brave as he was on the battlefield, Isildur had never been brave enough to bring up this subject in Tal Elmar’s presence. When they were together, it was as if every want, every need he ever had was sated, as if there was nothing wrong with the world anymore. And then he felt deeply afraid that a single word, or a wrong move, might shatter this happiness in a thousand pieces. Despite his diligent study of Númenórean customs, and his indifference to the fate of his people, there was some inner core of the young man’s being where he remained an Agarene through and through. That core allowed him to love Isildur the way Isildur wished to be loved, but one day, it could also make him stop loving him.

Feeling the weight of other people’s gazes on him, Isildur did his best to discard those distracting thoughts for the time being, and followed Irissë to her chambers. There, he took the bath she had prepared for him, and ate the food she served him. When she told him that she had made it with her own hands, he made sure to compliment her cooking. She might have hoped he would bed her afterwards, for she was wearing lipstick and powder, but when he claimed he was too tired from the journey, she accepted his excuse readily enough, curling against him on the large mattress.

“Elendur will be so excited to learn that you are here” she whispered in his ear before he fell asleep.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The following morning, however, Isildur was not awoken by any boys shouting in his ear or colliding painfully against him. As he emerged from his deep sleep, he realized he was lying in Irissë’s bed alone, and that the sun was already high in the sky. Still dizzy, he wiped his eyes until he no longer saw blurry shapes, and proceeded to look for his clothes. Fortunately, she had left him some new ones, because those he had discarded the previous night had been taken away to be washed, and he did not want any of Irissë’s women to see him naked.

When he came out from her quarters, heading for the kitchen to take a bite, he was promptly intercepted by Lord Amandil’s secretary, who told him that his grandfather wished to speak with him ‘at his earliest possible convenience’. Since most of the essential news were transmitted through the Seeing Stone, the briefing was not very long, but Amandil always made the most of Isildur’s presence at the other side of his desk to convey approval or disapproval by his tone and expression, tools which were not at his disposal through their usual means of communication. He seemed aware of certain things that Isildur had never mentioned in his briefings from the mainland, allowing him to deduce that Anárion, despite the way he had been ogling his wife on the previous night, had been the earlier riser.

“That is all for now”, the lord of Andúnië said at last, once Isildur claimed to have understood that they could receive gifts but not tribute, and that it was not a technicality. “We will have plenty of time to discuss affairs in the days to come, but you have a son who is very eager to see you.”

“I was beginning to wonder about that”, Isildur remarked, raising an eyebrow. “The last time I was here, he snuck into Irissë’s rooms before dawn and woke us up.”

Lord Amandil chuckled.

“Well, perhaps he has outgrown that by now. Or perhaps Tal Elmar has him tied to a tree somewhere.” He sobered almost at once. “I am joking, of course. I will not lie to you, Isildur, your son is even more of a handful than you used to be, and that is saying something. But while you had a barbarian who pushed you into every mess imaginable, his own barbarian keeps him out of them. That is quite an improvement, I have to admit.”

Isildur did not say anything, though deep inside his spirit bristled at hearing his grandfather speak so carelessly about Malik. It had not been the son of Ashad who pushed Isildur into the futile enterprise which cost him his life. Still, smiling back was safer; it allowed him to pretend he was stronger and less tormented by the demons of his past.

“I am glad to hear that”, he said.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Isildur’s pretence of strength was further tested mere minutes later, however, as Elendur and Tal Elmar had gone to the part of the house which he had been studiously avoiding for years. Since the whole family was exiled to Rómenna, he only remembered having entered that courtyard once, out of an ill-advised curiosity which turned bitter as soon as he stood before the young tree that stood on its centre, as crowning glory of his great achievements and token of the blessed predestination of his house. He had barely even gazed at the mosaics on the walls, depicting their valorous mission, his miraculous escape, and Malik’s heroic death. The tree alone commanded his full attention, its small branches fluttering in the breeze together with the stalk from which they grew, so thin that it seemed as if a gust of wind would be enough to uproot it.

Isildur had dreamed about that tree many times since he was a child, even risked his life to save it. And yet, now that it stood before him, he felt as if it was an evil thing, mocking him with its presence. I was always worth more than your friend, it seemed to be whispering to him. That is why I am enshrined here, while he was consumed by the flames in my stead.

Now, as he reluctantly stepped into one of the four footpaths, he could see that the tree was no longer so young and frail. It had grown a trunk, as wide as Isildur’s hand, and its branches, white and elegant, had shot upwards and became entirely covered in silver leaves. Beneath them, in the exact spot where two of the footpaths converged, stood Tal Elmar and Elendur, the former pointing at one of the mosaics in the opposite wall and talking, the second listening restlessly.

“Father!” the boy shouted, the moment the gravel under Isildur’s boot betrayed his presence with a faint crunching sound. Then, he broke into a run, leaving the pathway to follow a more direct route across the well-tended grass, in spite of Tal Elmar’s admonishments. Isildur barely had the time to register this before the boy’s full weight crashed against his legs.

“Merciless is his attack, for he leaves naught but ruin in his wake”, he quoted the ancient warrior’s poem, picking up his son in his arms and lifting him. Elendur held to him like a limpet, and for a while he was all Isildur could see, hear and smell. Just as Irissë had claimed on the previous night, their son had grown in the last months: he was bigger, heavier, and his hair even more unruly than the last time they had been together. His eyes, however, shone with the same adoration as he gazed at his father. “I was beginning to think you had forgotten I was here, since you did not come to greet me!”

The happiness of the boy turned into outrage when the meaning of Isildur’s words sunk into his brain.

He did not let me disturb you! He said that you needed to sleep. “He turned back to gaze at Tal Elmar in resentful vindication. “See? Father wanted me to wake him!”

The barbarian shrugged.

“Then you may wake him at dawn next time, before he has even completed two hours of sleep. If he gives his permission, I have nothing to object.” Isildur pretended to wince at his glare. Kissing Elendur one more time, he set him on the floor.

“Well, I have to admit that I needed that sleep, too” he conceded. “But why did you come here? Was there no other way to remove yourselves from my vicinity?”

“Tal Elmar was showing me the White Tree, Father. And he was telling me of your brave exploits, when you broke into the wicked king’s palace in Armenelos, defeated all his men single-handedly and took the fruit of the sacred tree back to our family!”

“I was not alone.” It was the second time in that morning that someone had disparaged Malik’s memory, and Isildur felt the irrational anger coursing through his veins again. This time, too, he did his best to repress it, but he knew that Tal Elmar, more attuned to his moods than Lord Amandil, had noticed.

“I told Elendur about your heroic companion. But like other boys of his age, he only has ears for his father’s exploits.”

“I would not be here today without Malik.” Even Elendur noticed that something was wrong this time, and he looked down, ashamed. Tal Elmar patted him on the shoulder reassuringly, then knelt before him until he caught his eye.

“Your father owes a great debt to his bonded warrior, Elendur. That is why he wants us to remember him with the honour he deserves. You understand this, don’t you?”

Elendur nodded slowly. Soon enough, he had regained his powers of speech, which he used to point at every scene in the wall and ask for what was happening in it. Isildur was only half-aware of the questions, so it was Tal Elmar who answered most of them to the boy’s satisfaction. At some point, Irissë came in with her women, claiming that Isildur needed a proper meal, and Elendur a bath. Both her attentions and the boy’s bitter complaints suddenly seemed to be coming from a place far away.

“I will meet with you later, then. If you dare to show up, that is. For if your form is as appalling as it was last time, I will wipe the floor with you”, he said to Tal Elmar, with a bravado that came out slightly overdone, as if he was an actor in the middle of a play. Irissë rolled her eyes, more in fondness than irritation.

Late in the afternoon, as he could finally extricate himself from his loving wife’s presence and his son’s excited games, he headed for the smaller courtyard. Tal Elmar was already waiting for him, holding a training sword in each hand. Instead of taking the one he was offered, however, Isildur shook his head, and pointed at the exit. The young barbarian followed him wordlessly across the corridors and through the gate, then down the cliff path which led to the beach.

The fight, if it could be called so, was short and erratic. Tal Elmar had improved his Númenórean fighting skills with the help of Elendil, but they did not suit him. His features were very similar to those of an islander, and yet his body seemed to have been built to fight like a Forest Man: all speed, litheness, and graceful agility. Isildur would have feared him if he had encountered him as a foe in an ambush among the ancient trees of his homeland, but here, fighting man against man in broad daylight, he looked out of place. And deep inside, he knew it, which is why his fierce, competitive side rebelled against the injustice of always having to meet Isildur in his own ground by refusing to take the whole thing seriously.

Then again, fighting was nothing but an excuse, and both knew it. After Tal Elmar’s second defeat –where he made a show of falling flat to the ground with an exaggerated groan, even though Isildur had barely touched him at all- the swords were discarded, and the fighting gave way to more pleasurable pursuits. Suddenly, the son of Elendil grew aware of how long it had been since he had last been able to grasp true joy with his hands, of how empty the intervening months had been. As he prepared himself for their coupling, a single moan kindled a fire in his limbs, while the slightest touch had the ability to arouse him, as if his senses had fallen under a spell of heightened awareness. By the time they were both fully undressed, his body was so eager that it took all his efforts not to climax before he was buried inside the young man.

Later, however, as their last forces were spent, and they were left to lie on the surf like puppets whose strings had been cut, Isildur’s mood grew pensive again.

“What is the matter with you?” Tal Elmar inquired, as blunt as ever. “You promised you would not have Númenórean doubts again.”

Isildur blinked.

“Well, that escalated quickly”, he snorted. Then, his expression sobered. “I was… wondering about something you said before, back when we were with Elendur.”

“Did I make a mistake? I asked Lord Elendil himself to tell me the story, and I learned it by heart so I would not pass it on to your son incorrectly. I am also trying to make sure he learns it well, though he is young, and sometimes he…”

“No. No, no, no”, he cut the barbarian, before he could steer the conversation away from the track where Isildur wished to keep it. “You did not make a mistake, though perhaps you may have understood something… incorrectly. Back then, you spoke of Malik as my ‘bonded warrior’. But the truth is that Malik was my age. As far as I know from the customs of your people, a bonded warrior is someone- younger.”

“But he died for you.” Tal Elmar retorted, more vehemently than Isildur had expected. “As Númenóreans, I recognize that you do not have the same customs as my people, and perhaps he did not have the proper age to be bonded to you. Perhaps you did not follow the ways of Agar, but what he did immediately turns him into a bonded warrior, in my opinion.” He struggled to his knees, animated by a sudden activity which made him start picking fistfuls of sand and watching as it trickled through his fingers. “Some things do not change from one people to another.”

“Oh.” Isildur thought long and hard about this before opening his mouth. “So… if I understand this properly, unwavering loyalty is what you value most, even above other considerations.” He hesitated again. “Such as age.”

At this point, the son of Elendil had to wonder if his interlocutor was giving him his back by chance or by design. In any case, he did not speak, until it was Isildur himself who gathered his courage to go on.

“This is interesting, because I had the impression that age was very important for your people. That there were… cycles in a man’s life, and you could not deviate from what was proper for each cycle. That, if you failed to respect those cycles, it would be seen as immoral.”

Tal Elmar tensed.

“Since when do you know everything about my people? Did you even bother to learn a word of their language before you destroyed them?”

Isildur blinked, shocked at the strong reaction.

“I was only trying to understand!”, he protested. Tal Elmar still did not turn back.

“Understand what?”

This was something that the older man did not know how to answer. Or at least not in a way that might bring the naked back that glistened in the moonlight to relax. How on Earth had this even happened? Just a moment ago, they had been sated, happy, and talking about an academic question –or, at least, of something that Isildur thought that could pass as an academic question.

I should not be helping you after your previous ingratitude, but perhaps it is not an academic question for him either, Isildur.

“Nothing”, he replied. Even as it was leaving his lips, he realized how terribly inadequate this answer was. Slowly, a mad idea, a dangerous hope, was making its way inside his mind, and though a part of him tried to silence it, another forced him to open his mouth yet again.

“I loved him.”

“What?” Now, Tal Elmar turned to face him at last, and his forehead was curved into a frown, as if he could not decide whether to credit his ears or not.

“Malik.” Isildur struggled to his knees as well, then back on his feet, where he began brushing the sand off his body. “I loved Malik as a bonded warrior, though he was my age. If he would have had me, I could not have cared less if he was bound to me or I to him, or if we were both a hundred and fifty. Why would I? I would already be flouting every law and custom of my people anyway. What are other people’s customs to me, once that I have pronounced my own to be meaningless, and disdained the wisdom of my ancestors? It would make no sense, none at all!”

“I…” Tal Elmar’s voice trailed away, his gaze again lost in some undetermined spot of the horizon. Perhaps the place where he believed Agar used to be, thousands of miles across the water. “My… people cannot be a hundred and fifty.”

It had taken so long for him to speak that Isildur had managed to get fully dressed in the meantime. Tal Elmar, however, remained fully naked, and he did not even move. It had been many years since the son of Elendil had mistaken him for an Elf, but now, under the moonlight, he could see it again, that indefinable quality which made each and every limb in the young man’s body appear at perfect harmony with one another. As he let his gaze roam over them, he found himself suddenly unable to grasp the concept that Tal Elmar could ever grow old or die. Just as he was unable to grasp the concept of just ceasing to love Tal Elmar, like a bloodthirsty soldier might deposit his weapons at the Lord of Battles’ shrine and retire to live a peaceful life in a farm.

“We will cross that bridge once we get to it”, he said, turning away and leaving the barbarian alone with his own thoughts.

 

*      *      *      *      *      *

 

Ûriphel was crying. It had been difficult to find enough privacy to hide her tears, for she was the Princess of the West now, if only in name, and courtiers, ladies, nobles and rich merchants pressed around her every day, clamouring for her attention and seeking her favour with extravagant compliments and useless advice. Even in the bathroom, there was always a woman waiting for her with a perfumed towel, ready to look sympathetic and shocked if she saw a suspicious redness in her eyes. Ûriphel had needed a great presence of mind to make it through the last days of their journey without alerting anyone in the crowd of well-wishers about her real feelings, but the moment she was back in the Palace, she had claimed to be sick and exhausted so she could throw all her women out. They had been a little flabbergasted, but they had complied.

She let go of a tremulous sigh, remembering the fateful night where her last hopes had crumbled. As she did so, she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, though she knew that it would not stem the flow of her tears.

“The King believes we should sleep together, or people might get wind that something is wrong and start to talk”, Gimilzagar said to her, after they both retreated to their chambers in the Governor’s palace in Sor. His voice was courteous, and yet devoid of any emotion. “Please excuse me, my lady, but he was very clear about his wishes, and there is nothing I can do to oppose him.”

He had undressed her methodically, then proceeded to take off his own clothes. For all that time, she stood still, her mouth treacherously silent despite the many thoughts that agitated her mind. She did nothing to hinder him, and yet nothing to encourage him, as if the Goddess had suddenly struck her dumb and she had lost the ability to react, to tell him that she was his wife and he should not make excuses before bedding her as if she was a stranger. That he should not bring up the will of his father as the reason why he was carrying her to his bed. That he should want her.

The lovemaking was careful and experienced, so she did not feel pain –she strove not to think of where he had acquired this experience, but the thought would not leave her mind even during the climax-, and yet she had never felt so terrible in her life. For his eyes held no love, or lust, or any other feeling. If at least she had looked up to see them darkened by hatred and resentment, if he had hurt her on purpose, she even thought in an instant of madness, it would have meant that she was someone in his eyes, someone worth anything besides sheer indifference. But nothing lurked behind them, and she felt like a prostitute that someone had left in his room by mistake.

“I am sorry, Ûriphel”, he had told her, when he saw the tears swimming in her eyes. She shook her head, doing her best to greet his stupid pity with a bright smile. She was here to be the Princess of the West, the loveliest, most perfect, dutiful Princess of the West there ever was, even if the world was crumbling around her. It did not matter if she was a prostitute in his eyes: she was a noble woman from a high house of Númenor, a descendant of the great Indilzar. And he would not take that away from her.

“Do not be. I will be your Princess and I will bear your heirs, and that will make me happy”, she said. He winced, as if he had struck him, but she had no time to enjoy her triumph.

“I cannot have children, Ûriphel. I was born dead, and my body is cursed.”

Again, she wiped her tears, distraught at the mere memory of those words. In the end, the truth was that she had nothing, only a host of glittering appearances which would scatter before the slightest gust of wind. Her marriage was not real, she could not have children, and her husband would only enter her chambers to keep up the appearances. The feeling of being a prostitute had grown stronger and stronger since that night, together with the darkness of her thoughts - for, after all, wasn’t she there only as the result of a deal, struck by her family? Was there any love on either side? Back when she was a child and eavesdropped on adult conversations, she had sometimes heard about women called ‘courtesans’, a sort of prostitute who behaved like a noblewoman, always wearing beautiful, glittering dresses and talking nicely. They were hired by the rich merchants of Sor to stand beside them, and pretend they were their wives. She had always found the idea horrifying and fascinating in equal parts, but never, in her worst nightmares, had she considered the possibility that she would ever count herself as one of their number.

“That is sad indeed”, a voice spoke behind her. “It is heart-breaking that a young, beautiful and noble lady such as you would be brought to think so little of her own worth. Heart-breaking, and cruel.”

It was the kindest voice that Ûriphel had heard in a very long time. Her heart fluttering in her chest, she slowly turned back to find the High Priest of Melkor standing beside her. She had seen him before, both at the god’s altar and attending the wedding ceremonies in the Palace, but there he had appeared distant, remote, while now his blue eyes were brimming with sympathy. Without even knowing very well why, she felt comforted.

“Your Holiness”, she saluted. “I… am sorry that you had to see me like this.”

“Do not say that, my lady”, he said, shaking his head to dismiss her apology. “I was the one who intruded upon your privacy, and I will apologize to you and leave, if you wish me to do so. But I am here because I want to help you.”

“Help… me?” She blinked, slow to comprehend his words. As they began to sink on her mind, however, Ûriphel felt an unreasonable hope stir in her chest. They said he was some sort of god, or at least a mighty spirit, who had powers beyond human understanding. “But how could you do that, my lord? Are you able to… change the hearts of people?”

“Only of those who are ready to lay down their pride and base animal passions and listen to wisdom”, he answered ruefully, and her hope died. “But please, do not despair, my lady. I am indeed powerful, and with me as an ally, if you have patience and perseverance, you will be able to achieve things that lie outside the Rómenna woman’s grasp.” His lips curved into a radiant smile. “Like a son to carry the royal line into the new era.”

“But…” She felt like an idiot, blubbering and stammering and objecting to everything. “But he said he could not sire children. The… the Prince, he said it to me.”

“They said that the Queen could not bear children, and that those who came from her womb were born dead. Until I came, and the Prince Gimilzagar was born.”

“Oh.” I was born dead, and my body is cursed, had been his exact words to her that night. And yet, he was made of flesh and blood, like every other human being, and he had grown to adulthood as his father’s heir. Perhaps her future children could be like this, too. And if she was the only one who could have them, he would have to honour her above his mistress, who could do nothing but give him pleasure.

Give him pleasure. The Ûriphel of months ago would have been shocked and ashamed at the vulgarity of her own thoughts, but now she did not even blink at them. She had been so naïve before, to think that good manners and lofty words would protect her from the crudest realities!

“Yes, my lady Ûriphel. In time, and thanks to the might of Melkor, I promise that you will be able to bear fruit, just as the Queen did” he said, still in that kindly voice. “But there is no reason why you should merely trust my word. If you do me the honour of accompanying me now, I can show you how the power of the Great Deliverer works, and how those who pray and sacrifice to Him have their wishes fulfilled beyond the narrow confines of their mortal limitations.”

When he extended his arm to her, she grabbed it on instinct, before having the time to think if she was being too forward. Once she was walking by his side, however, it felt so natural, and her heart so much lighter, that she impulsively banished those concerns from her mind, and allowed herself to be led.

 

The Gamble

Read The Gamble

The first to spot the approaching fleet was a young boy, who had climbed upon one of the ruinous stone pillars of the ancient harbour to point excitedly at the horizon. A stir of anticipation shook the crowd who had gathered underneath him, and soon enough his cry was taken up by others, who counted white, golden, and purple sails until they became too many for mortal eyes to keep track of. Both the old and the young gazed at the standards fluttering in the breeze, seeking to distinguish their symbols and arguing among themselves about their significance. But when the first battalion left place to a second, and then a third, a fourth and a fifth, the voices died out, and they merely stared wide-eyed, silenced by the sheer immensity of the greatest fleet to ever sail the seas.

“They say that, if you stand in the same spot without moving, you can see them pass in front of you for a whole day, from dawn till dusk”, a woman ahead of them remarked. No one challenged this exaggeration, and soon after, her voice rose again. “The Baalim-worshippers must be quaking in fear. The time for their reckoning draws near!”

Ninlil’s grip on her hand tightened, as if he was trying to convey without words that he was ready to fight for her sake. Faniel had to do a considerable effort not to laugh in his face. Forget the King, the High Priest of Melkor, or even the Governor of Sor: if someone as unimpressive as the Rómenna magistrate stood facing him now, she was certain that his bravado would desert him pretty fast. If she was holding hands with him, with anonymity and the flimsy cover of a plain disguise barely hiding her from her hostile surroundings, it was not because she trusted him to protect her. No, she wanted to feel the thrill of the forbidden, the shivers across her spine that only sheer danger could excite. That was why she left the safety of her home and let someone like him touch her, braving her mother’s wrath and the perils of the old city, where her people were despised and sometimes even assaulted. He was the proud scion of one of their most ancient families, said to be present on the day the city was founded. Their family lore even tracked their ancestors back to the first priest of Melkor in Rómenna, which Faniel found laughable, since the city was older than the Númenórean worship of their so-called god. But if his grandfather were to hear that their golden child was fooling around with the daughter of a Baalim-worshipper from the wrong side of town, noble or not, he would be livid. Ninlil claimed not to care about this or any other danger, but it was still Faniel who met him on his territory and therefore risked the most. And she knew that their roles would never be reversed.

Ar Pharazôn’s fleet did not need an entire day to pass by Rómenna, but it still took much longer than she had expected. Back home, they would be looking at the sails in quiet gloom, perhaps wringing their hands for the umpteenth time because there was nothing they could do to prevent Fate. Faniel had little patience for this, and no sympathy at all. Since she was a young child she had always loved the old tales, where heroes fought their terrible foes without stopping to ponder if those monsters could anticipate their intentions, if the forces they mustered were smaller or greater than theirs in number, if retaliation could be risked or if they could afford being branded as traitors. Of all of them, Lúthien was her favourite, because she had always done as she wished and came out victorious, whether she had to fight her parents, Sauron, Morgoth, or even Mandos himself over it. Closer to her own time and place, she was fascinated by the whispers she had managed to overhear about her aunt, Ilmarë, and her daughter whom Faniel had never known. The mother had loved a handsome, daring barbarian in her youth, flouting the rules of her station, and she had borne his illegitimate child after he died fighting the King’s guards in a secret mission.  And this child, Fíriel – well, she had grown up to be even more adventurous than her mother. She fell in love with no less than the King’s son, the Abomination whose very name was like a curse in the land where Faniel had grown. Because of him, she had left the protection of her kin to go live in Armenelos, under the gaze of the most powerful enemies of her people. And then, though she could never become his wife, she had remained in the Palace, refusing to hide or flee from the Princess of the West, whose husband she had stolen. Faniel’s mother found all this very scandalous, and not worthy of imitation, but she had never been able to prevent Faniel’s imagination from being captivated by those stories, and carried far away from the narrow limits of what she had been taught to be acceptable behaviour.

“I am bored of seeing ships. They all look the same”, she whispered in Ninlil’s ear. “Let’s go somewhere else.”

The small beach which stood at walking distance from the harbour, just far enough not to be considered part of the city proper, was the place where young couples went for their secret trysts since time immemorial. But that was at night-time: now, in broad daylight, they would be neither alone nor invisible. After briefly evaluating the situation, and counting the groups of people who took advantage of this festive day to sit with jars of wine and food and watch the spectacle, he shook his head.

“To your family’s warehouse, then”, she proposed. “It will be empty now, since no one is working today.”

Just as she had anticipated, there was not a single soul in there, and the silence and the darkness were a little intimidating. Still, a caress or two proved enough to dispel their initial awkwardness. Soon, they were both sitting atop a pile of boxes, their feet dangling precariously while their mouths met in a passionate bout of kissing.

“Hey” she protested, grabbing his hand the moment it went lower than her stomach. Fascinated as she was by her more daring kinswomen, she was not going to let the likes of him impregnate her. Her Fall, if she ever had one, would not be caused by a spoiled, rich nobody from Rómenna.

“Come on, you have to let me. I have been waiting for months”, he begged, his wide-eyed look similar to that of an abandoned puppy. She shook her head.

“What if you leave me pregnant?”

“I won’t. Women have products that they drink all the time to prevent pregnancies”, he retorted. His voice became a whisper. “I can go and steal some from my mother right away, and give them to you. She has been using them since I was born.”

Traditional Númenórean families, especially those of merchants, never had more than one son, to avoid splitting the inheritance and to prevent family conflict. Faniel’s family did not believe in this practice, and yet sometimes, when she witnessed the perpetual bickering of her mother and her aunt and got wind of certain tensions that everybody seemed determined to pretend did not exist, she was able to see its point.

“And what if I am married in the future? My husband will be able to see I have been with another man. They say that you can tell”, she argued, doing her best to look as if she genuinely cared about this possibility. He shrugged.

“What if I marry you?”

Faniel laughed.

“Why are you laughing? It’s not funny.”

She rolled her eyes.

“Oh, I was trying to imagine the scene. You, telling your parents that you want to marry the lord of Andúnië’s great-granddaughter, and they saying yes to it.” When she saw the earnest expression suddenly illuminating his features, however, she dropped her mirth to size him with a frown. “And just in case you are tempted to take this as a dare, know that if you tell them about me, you will never see me again.”

“I see.” The hurt look was in his eyes again. “You do not love me at all. You are just playing with me.”

“Don’t be silly.” She kissed him again, effectively shutting him up. “Of… course… I… love... you.”

Right then, taken by the moment, she did not feel as if she was lying. He was handsome, passionate, and absolutely clueless about everything, and this excited a tenderness in her that she could not even explain to herself. And he was so fascinated by her, by her beauty and forwardness, even by the very thought that she had broken the faith of her ancestors just to be with him, that it was difficult not to feel flattered.

“Maybe one day”, she muttered, letting her lips trail across the back of his neck. “When I am … ready.”

Later, as she walked back home following the coastline –finally empty of ships and ship-gazers-, Faniel felt vaguely bad about herself.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel was feeling very restless today. Since Gimilzagar’s marriage to Ûriphel, she had rarely left her quarters in the South wing for any reason, as her sole presence outside them would be understood as an insult to Her Exalted Highness. Usually, this quiet life did not bother her: she was no longer subject to the judgemental stares of the courtiers or the gossiping and intriguing of the ladies, and, above all, she was no longer required to attend those pestilential religious ceremonies she had always abhorred. But now and then, she got wind of unusual movements and preparations around her, and she had to wait for Isnayet or Gimilzagar to bring her news from the outside world. That was when it dawned upon her that she was not free to go wherever she wished, and she felt as if the high walls were closing upon her. And once this started, all the air and sunlight of her gardens were no longer enough.

“The triumphal celebration will take place three days from now, as soon as all the troops have reached Armenelos”, Isnayet spoke on, pretending not to notice Fíriel’s fidgeting. “The King wishes this feast to surpass the previous ones in magnificence, and word is that he has ordered every single prisoner from this campaign to be sacrificed to the Great Deliverer.” She shuddered. “Men, women and children.”

“Why would he do that?” The Prince’s mistress was shocked. “He has never killed children before.”

“In the Island”, a dry voice retorted. Surprised, Fíriel realized it had come from Khelened, who rarely took part in their conversations, to the point that it became easy to forget she was even there. “In the mainland, it happens all the time.”

Isnayet ignored her.

“I do not know, my lady. I would not presume to be able to comprehend what goes on inside the King’s mind, or why he makes his decisions.”

 “Well, I do”, the Khandian insisted, unperturbed. Apparently, she was feeling talkative today. “The Númenóreans are no longer excited just to see the blood of their enemies. It happens too often, so they grow tired of it. If the King wishes to make them excited again, he has to give them something new.” She spat on the floor, in an easy way that made such a rude gesture look almost elegant. “It is obvious.”

“I do not think any civilized Númenórean would find the death of a child ‘exciting’.” Isnayet replied indignantly. “Only a barbarian could say such a thing!”

Khelened did not even bat an eye.

“And yet it is the Númenóreans who do it.” She stretched under the sunlight like a very large cat. “People here look shocked because we used to eat our enemies, but we raised their children. And both things made us stronger. Númenóreans just throw all their spoils into a fire and destroy them, as if their wars were fought for nothing.”

“It must have been Zigûr’s idea”, Fíriel intervened, before they could start an argument. “His influence has grown large, and his counsel usually prevails in the King’s mind.”

“If that is so, then you might be next if you are not careful”, Khelened retorted, with no trace of pity in her gaze. “He has a very close friendship with the Princess of the West.”

“How can you say something so horrible? The Queen and the Prince will never allow the Lady Fíriel to suffer any harm! Under their powerful protection, she will always remain safe!”

The Khandian shrugged, as if it was of no concern to her either way. Even though, with her protector gone, she might find herself in quite a terrible predicament too, Fíriel thought. But Gimilzagar had once told her that, for Khelened, it was second nature to hide her weaknesses, her worries and fears, in the belief that this would throw the enemies who surrounded her off her scent. After having known her for years, Fíriel had to admit she still did not know if there was anything she truly cared about in this world. Then again, the strategy seemed to have worked so far – she was the sole survivor of all the barbarian women who had been in Gimilzagar’s bed, and she had blended so well with her surroundings that neither the Queen nor the Princess of the West seemed to even remember that she existed. Sometimes, Fíriel found herself wishing she could be more like her.

This train of thought, together with the gruesome talk about sacrificing children, served as a powerful wakeup call, allowing Fíriel to remember why she was much better off in the safety of the South wing than exposed to the horrors outside. She had no hope of passing unnoticed as Khelened did, but at least she could hide from the most unwelcome attentions.

“Do not pay her any heed to her words, my lady. I will bring you some tea, and you can sit and enjoy this lovely evening”, Isnayet announced. “Listen to the delightful birdsong! I am sure it will take off your mind from fires, altars, and ghastly things.”

When she sat back on the stone bench, her forehead curved in a pensive frown, Fíriel was not listening to the birdsong, but at least the restlessness had abated for the time being.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Ar Pharazôn took a step back. With one hand, he motioned the chamberlain who had spent the last hour ponderously shifting the golden wreath around his head to stand aside, so he could stare unhindered at his reflection in the mirror. As always, the man who stared back at him was the perfect image of youthful, daring majesty, the great conqueror the world of Men had been yearning for. No grey hairs marred his chestnut curls, confidence sat upon his brow, and the fierce look in his eyes would not be withstood by anyone, whether friend or foe. In his resplendent, elaborate attire, nothing was out of place, nothing missing. Out there, the crowds flocking to Armenelos from the rest of the Island would be in awe when they saw him preside over the triumphal celebration, and realized that the passing of the years could not touch him or dim his strength and his glory, just as it had been with the legendary Kings in the earliest days of Númenor.

None of them would be able to see the truth, the insidious voice whispered in his mind. The people who lived in the Island had no way of knowing that the great victory they were celebrating was just the quelling of a revolt in a small, forsaken corner of Middle-Earth. They certainly had no idea about the motives, of how he had chosen it as the most appropriate place to rehearse a withdrawal of the bulk of his troops just to see what happened. The results of the experiment had been negative: barely a couple days after most of the Númenórean army left, the natives had fallen upon the skeleton garrison, burned it and hanged every soldier from a tree. Oh, yes, this circumstance had given him an opening to send word to the nearest general to return in force and give Númenor a victory to celebrate, not to mention showing all the surrounding peoples what would happen to them if they challenged Ar Pharazôn the Golden. But, at the end of the day, it was still a failure, despite Zigûr’s efforts to relativize it. The King of Númenor could build thousands of ships, but if he wanted to attack the land of the Baalim, he also needed battle-hardened soldiers to fill them. And for that, he had to pull them away from the conquered territories of Middle-Earth. Most of them were in areas directly controlled by the Sceptre, such as Harad, the timber corridor of the Middle Havens or the Bay of Pelargir, where there were Númenóreans living, and their absence would result in many Númenórean deaths, great loss of land, and –what was even worse- a call to arms for the peoples further East who delivered yearly tribute to their abhorred oppressors in exchange for independence. Zigûr believed that fear could be enough if it was enforced properly, if every minor revolt taking place now was dealt with like this one, and if rumours were craftily spread about Pharazôn becoming a god and returning in divine guise to judge and punish those who had been disloyal. If Númenóreans were superstitious, barbarians were generally even more so.

Still, strategical considerations were not all that bothered Pharazôn about his current predicament. He could not put out of his mind that this was the first time in his life that he presided over a triumphal celebration without having led his troops to victory himself. Oh, he had received his generals when they came back boasting of new conquests, he had awarded them honours, lands, and riches, but he had never claimed their victories as if they belonged to him alone, standing before the whole of Númenor in triumphal garb. Zigûr, his Council, and the people around him could regale his ears all they wanted, claiming that he was the supreme commander of the Númenórean armies and therefore every victory they obtained ultimately belonged to him. Behind their sycophantic flattery, he could still distinguish the ghastly shadow of a truth he did not wish to face. Kings who needed to hide behind the deeds of others were not great conquerors: they were either cowards, or spent old men. Pharazôn was not a coward, and the mirror told him he was not an old man, but in the last years he was beginning to suspect that the mirror lied to him, just as much as the courtiers of the Palace.

In the last decades, he was aware that his mind had been withdrawing more and more from Middle-Earth. He had travelled less, focusing his efforts on the only invasion that mattered, until he came to see the very idea of sailing across the Great Sea in person to be at the head of his armies as ludicrously risky. Now, it would be simply unthinkable for him to participate in a major campaign like the siege of Mordor, the Haradric war, or the conquest of Rhûn. Instead, he had become a cautious man who supervised the building of ships and the muster of soldiers, who counted odds and waited for a right moment that would always be in the future. Every morning, when this cautious man woke up in his bed, it cost him a greater effort to leave it; every evening, he found himself yearning for it sooner. Excess drinking made him feel ill, and his joints ached when he stood outside for too long in the cold plains of Forostar. Of course, he always wore his armour when he found himself in the presence of soldiers, and he bore its weight well, but he did not remember being so conscious of it before, or secretly wishing he was alone just to be able to take it off. His arms practice had been neglected -because he was too busy, he always told himself, though he was beginning to feel scared that his limbs would not respond the day he took it up again. He looked like a young man, at the height of his vigour and vitality, and yet every day this youth felt more and more like a disguise that might fool others, but not himself. Just as it would not fool Death, the day it came for him.

“Take this away from my sight”, he hissed, seized by a sudden, irrational rage. The men who held the mirror did as they were told, without even trying to point out that his appearance was as magnificent as always.

Did Zimraphel feel the same way as him? On the surface she, too, retained the breath-taking beauty she had always been famous for, who could fill people with religious awe just to be in the presence of such unsettling perfection. But she was even older than he was, and both were drawing closer and closer to the age when Gimilkhâd passed away. Though it was too long since they shared an honest conversation –if there had ever been such a thing- he could not believe she would be indifferent to the loss of her youth, or to the looming threat of the loss of her life. How could she? She had always believed herself to be above all other mortals, a goddess trapped in the body of a woman. And yet, she had never shown support for Pharazôn’s plans of winning immortality for them. Perhaps she saw doom and destruction down this path, though when pressed about the subject, she would always refuse to speak a word. He might have agonized more over this in the past, but he did not wish to be ruled by superstition anymore. If he had been born one of those unfortunate barbarians in the mainland, he would rise in arms and kill as many Númenóreans as he could, even knowing that men or gods would come back in great strength to take revenge on him, his family and his people. Because just sitting and waiting for powers greater than he to take them away and kill them one by one was pointless cowardice, and it would not save anybody.

“It is very lucky for Númenor that you are its King, then, instead of the leader of its enemies”, a voice spoke from the doorstep. Taken out of his musings, he turned back to greet Zigûr, who was accompanied by Gimilzagar. His son looked out of sorts and uncomfortable, both by the vicinity of the High Priest and because of the armour he had been forced to wear for the ceremony. Threadbare as it was –it was the same that Pharazôn had made for him long ago, when he made the Prince accompany him to the mainland-, it was obviously too heavy for him. “The Princess is already heading towards the Temple in the Queen’s company, and we are ready to follow you outside.”

Gimilzagar’s discomfort augmented upon being included in this we. His resentment for the ancient spirit who kept him alive was nothing new, except that, before, it had practically been undistinguishable from the resentment he felt towards his father. But since Zigûr had wormed his way into the Princess of the West’s affections, and she spent more time in his Temple praying and sacrificing for heirs than in the Palace, the intensity of the Prince’s hatred and mistrust had done nothing but grow. Pharazôn had to admit that her shows of piety had cast a shadow not merely upon Gimilzagar’s performance –and the presence of his mistress-, but also upon the royal line in general, which is why he had been unable to object when Ar Zimraphel put an end to her public displays. Still, they had argued when she claimed that their son’s inability to sire a child came from Zigûr’s magic, and not from the young man fooling around with his whore instead of focusing on his wife. Foresighted or not, all women were the same when it came to absolving their children of every responsibility, and her irrational hatred of Zigûr was more than ready to do the rest. In any case, the Princess had not desisted from her practices in private, which meant spending even longer hours with Zigûr in his own quarters. If either Zigûr himself or Gimilzagar had been any other people, Pharazôn would have dismissed the whole thing as jealousy; as things were, he was not even sure of what it was. All he knew was that, as long as Zigûr could control the woman and keep her hopes alive with his wiles, life in the Palace could go on under a semblance of peace despite Gimilzagar’s determination to achieve the very opposite. And the day Pharazôn returned from Valinor, there would no longer be need for Gimilzagar, his wife, his whore, or his prospective issue. The day he became a god, all his failures, his demons, the things that tormented him in his sleep would depart forever, like leaves scattered by the wind, and only he would remain, too powerful for regrets.

“Let us depart”, he ordered, forcing Amandil’s annoying laughter away from his mind.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The triumphal procession was the first to take place in Armenelos in a long time, and people responded to it with the same joy and relish Pharazôn remembered from the wedding years ago. The more he looked at the crowd, however, the more he detected a new, harder edge to their enthusiasm. A wedding was beautiful and uplifting, and it could raise people’s spirits after evil times, but at the end of the day, Zigûr was right: nothing could compare to the reassurance that they still owned the world, and therefore had nothing to fear. Women threw lustful glances at the soldiers, while their children stared wide-eyed at the display of animals and curiosities, brought from lands far away just for their entertainment. Above all, as the rebels were dragged across the streets, the ferocity with which the populace met them surpassed anything Pharazôn had seen this side of the Great Sea. The colonies of Númenor had often known the threat of war, but not the Island: in the heart of the seas, their homes and children remained safe. Now, after the Baalim’s cowardly attacks on Númenórean soil, they were ready to be united against any outside threat, even if naked and miserable savages who could barely duck as they were pelted with rotten fruit was the best the Sceptre could offer. The Baalim are powerful and wise in their own ways, but they have kept themselves apart from Men, and never bothered to learn anything about their nature, he remembered Zigûr telling him. They do not know what drives them, which gives us another advantage.

This also meant that everybody hailed Pharazôn as he rode among them, without seeming to care that he had not docked in Sor days ago with his victorious troops. The deafening roar of their acclamations was like a balm to soothe the rawest wounds of his uncertainty, and for the while it took for him to cross the city, he felt more at peace than he had been of late. He even managed not to be too annoyed at Gimilzagar’s fidgeting whenever he drew too close to the doomed barbarians, or at the delay they experienced when a flock of long-horned grey bulls grew so agitated by the noise that they tried to make a bid for freedom.

When they entered the temple, all the highest dignitaries of the realm were already waiting for him, presided by Ar Zimraphel the Silver-Crowned and her dutiful daughter-in-law. The Princess Ûriphel was wearing a daring red and gold mantle, which attracted most glances in the great hall and surprised even Pharazôn, who still remembered the subdued girl who had trailed behind her father’s footsteps in her first visit to the Palace. When Zigûr smiled at her in approval, she blushed.

The sound of chanting echoed across the great hall as they climbed the steps leading to the main altar, and the priests started ushering the first victims in. This time, only a part of them would have the honour of dying here, as sacrifices to the Great Deliverer. After much consideration, Pharazôn had decided that his ancestors had a point when they allowed the crowd to witness the spectacle of their enemies meeting their well-deserved end, so there would be several raised platforms outside for the more public deaths.

With the years, Gimilzagar had grown less squeamish when it came to assisting his father in the grander ceremonies. Whenever he was there, at the head of the acolytes, it was much easier for Pharazôn to kill his victims, as they all stopped struggling after they set eyes on the Prince.  This power, so similar to Zigûr’s, made Pharazôn wonder how things might have developed if he had been less scared of forcing his son to put his abilities to use, and less worried about breaking him in the process. Perhaps Gimilzagar would have become great, even greater than his father, in his own way, and the idea of the Western expedition might never have been conceived. Was Zimraphel aware of the irony? he thought, sinking the blade in the first victim’s throat.

Still, even without having to deal with unruly victims, the effort started taking its toll in Pharazôn as early as the tenth sacrifice. After the fourteenth, he was forced to give up, and call Zigûr in to continue his work. This brought back the gloominess he had been feeling in the morning, as all his fears insidiously trickled back into his mind as strong and pure as if they had never left. It did not matter that he surrendered the knife with the regal matter-of-factness of a King who had had too much of a boring, unpleasant task which his underlings could finish for him: his short breath, the pangs in his joints and the sluggishness of his limbs had the effect of a truth being yelled in his ear.

Gimilzagar was perhaps able to detect the thoughts that tormented his father’s mind, but he did not ask any questions –a sign of prudence-, or even gave any sign of being aware of what had just taken place. Instead, he merely left the bloodstained utensils on a golden tray for a priest to deliver them to Zigûr, and followed him to the sacred chamber behind the altar. There, some priests were helping each other get dressed as they waited to be called in for the ceremony. When they saw Pharazôn and Gimilzagar enter, they immediately dropped what they were doing and bowed low.

“By the Great Deliverer! It is quite hot in here”, Pharazôn claimed. “I need some refreshments before I go back. Bring wine, but with a double measure of water.”

One of the priests said something to a colleague, who left, presumably to fetch what Pharazôn had requested. While they waited, more of them bowed off to follow one another through the passageway that gave to the altar, the one the King and the Prince had taken in the opposite direction. Gimilzagar walked a few steps, to let himself fall on a chair close to the table. As the faint light of the candles illuminated his face, Pharazôn could see that he was very pale, and that his forehead was curved in a pained frown.

“I see you needed the rest even more than I did”, he remarked, refusing to let himself be sucked into Gimilzagar’s pathetic stories. “You do not seem to be enjoying yourself very much on this festive day.”

The younger man’s features did not even register the implicit reproach.

“Neither are you.”

“What?” Pharazôn had been expecting a morose silence, perhaps some whining, if his son was feeling too upset, but not this direct challenge. This surprised him. He had believed Gimilzagar to have grown more prudent, and yet drawing his father’s attention to the fact that he could read things in his mind was the farthest from prudence that Pharazôn could imagine. “What do you mean, neither am I?”

This time, there was no reply, which annoyed him even more. He was opening his mouth to make an angry retort, when the acolyte returned, holding a tray with watered wine and glasses. Pharazôn immediately walked towards it to serve himself a cup.

“There is… h-honey on this pot, my lord King”, the man pointed out. His hands were shaking, and he seemed very nervous. Pharazôn realized that he was quite young; being in the presence of the King had probably intimidated him. More to put his unresolved conversation with his son out of his mind than anything, the King focused his attention on him.

“Are you going out there now, with the others?” he asked. The young acolyte had retreated and begun fidgeting to open a lacquered box; when he heard Pharazôn’s voice, his fingers slipped and it hit the table with a sharp noise.

“O-only to aid my superiors, my lord King”, he said. “I am the one who hands utensils to the officiants. To –you, if you had been there, my lord King.” The box finally opened, and he took a large sacrificial blade from it, its hilt shining with rubies.

“Oh, I will return soon enough. And since the Prince of the West is in need of some fresh air, you will be my sole helper. I hope you are not as averse to the sight of blood as he is.”

This time, Gimilzagar did show a reaction.

“There is no need for that, my lord King! I will be there with you.”

Pharazôn arched an eyebrow. Was his son deluded enough to believe that he was letting the victims down, if he was not there to hold their hands as they gave up their souls to the Great Deliverer?

Right then, he heard the distant sound of voices coming from the back entrance of the room, belonging to the newest batch of priests who came in to get dressed for the ceremony. Gimilzagar gave a start, as if their arrival had caught him by surprise.

“I will endeavour to be worthy of my holy mission, my lord King”, the acolyte promised, walking slowly towards where Pharazôn stood. His voice had grown steadier now, but there was still a faint shadow of fear lurking underneath it. “I will not turn away, and I will not shirk from the sacred duty of drawing the impious blood of those who have offended Heaven.”

The Pharazôn who had fought a thousand battles and withstood countless ambushes would have realized that something was wrong before the blade was swishing across the air. But he had grown old, his keen senses dulled into a comfortable feeling of security, as if he was one of the Baalim who sat indolently on their thrones in the West. Even his reflexes had grown slower, so much that for a moment he could do nothing but stare, a mere spectator to the events that were taking place.

While the acolyte was still speaking about his mission, Gimilzagar had stood on his feet. This providential circumstance meant that, when the young temple denizen swung the blade, the Prince was already there to push him away from its trajectory. Pharazôn fell to his knees, but the dull pain of the fall barely registered. He heard his son’s voice cry out, then the other young man yell with rage, and suddenly there were more voices and the sound of running, as the priests who had just arrived rushed towards them. Pharazôn had already recovered from his stupor by then, and like a resort, he jumped back on his feet, taking advantage of the assassin’s distraction to charge against him and bang his head against the wall. The blade fell to the floor with a clatter.

“My lord King! By the Great Deliverer!” The priests’ faces went pale as they grew aware of the enormity of what had happened, and saw the blood staining the white marble. One of them ordered the barely conscious traitor to be seized; others flocked towards Pharazôn, who rejected all their attentions and ordered them to check on Gimilzagar instead. The Prince of the West was sitting on the floor, holding the arm whose shoulder had had his clothing ripped and was oozing blood. He appeared in pain, but as he gazed up to look at Pharazôn, the King saw something else there, something far more powerful. Shock, pure and undisguised.

“You saved me”, Pharazôn said, his words surprisingly low amid the ruckus that surrounded them. The disbelief and the horror were growing apparent in Gimilzagar’s features, and yet there was no going back now, no pretending that could obscure what he had just done. What had just happened. “You.”

The Prince shook his head, in denial.

“N-no, I just… I merely… I was…”

“Put this man under surveillance so he cannot kill himself, and summon the chief of my guard. From this moment, no one is allowed to walk in or out the threshold of the Temple”, Pharazôn ordered, regaining his aplomb. The priest who was not holding the assassin down or looking after Gimilzagar had knelt, shaking in fear. “And bring Zigûr here right now.

Still grabbing at his arm protectively, as if he did not want anyone to see it or touch it, Gimilzagar looked down, and shivered.

The Fate of Númenor

Read The Fate of Númenor

Gimilzagar was barely aware that there were hands holding his arm, wrapping it tight in some kind of bandage, and pressing against it in a tourniquet to stem the flow of blood from the open wound. In a haze, he saw Lord Zigûr come into the room, heard the echo of his excuses and apologies, and his assurances that he would uncover every detail of this evil plot. The only thing which had the ability to wake him briefly from his state of stupor was the High’s Priest’s solicitous offer to heal him. Upon hearing it, Gimilzagar flinched back in disgust, clutching protectively at his bandaged arm, and Ar Pharazôn shrugged and said nothing to contest his will. The Prince had never seen his father relinquish his overbearing attitude so easily before. His thoughts felt oddly scattered against Gimilzagar’s, as if his whole world had turned upside down all of a sudden, and he was having trouble landing on his feet after the powerful impact. In appearance, he had regained his usual aplomb very soon, even subdued the attacker with his own hands, but as he dealt with the aftermath, the seams under this confident attitude were beginning to show, like ripples under the water’s calm surface.

When Gimilzagar left the room, accompanied by the two priests who had bandaged his arm and now tentatively supported his shaky steps, nobody held him back. He was taken to a place where there was a bed, small but comfortable, and they helped him lay on it in silence. As he snuggled under the covers and gazed at the ceiling above him, he could feel his head starting to spin in circles. Far in the distance, he heard the sound of people wailing and screaming, but it was not coming from the Temple, where the mightiest of the realm must already have heard about the assassination attempt. No- he knew it was coming from his mind, and that the moment he dared to close his eyes he would see them: the men, the

women and children, stretching their hands towards him and screaming as they were torn apart, burned and drowned, their civilizations obliterated from the face of the world. Most of them would be barbarians, but the Númenóreans would be there too, and their eyes were the ones that Gimilzagar least wanted to meet.

Why? the voices screeched in his ear. His shivers must have been noticeable enough, for one of the priests laid a hand on his forehead to check his temperature. He is one, and guilty; we are many and innocent. Why did you choose him?

“I did not. I…” His voice came out as a hoarse, unrecognizable whisper beneath the covers. “I did not make… a choice. I was just… I was only….”

He had not been aware of what was going to happen for longer than an instant, and in that time he did not have the luxury to think. When the young acolyte had picked up the blade, his mind had revealed its full, murderous intent: the moment he stood behind Ar Pharazôn’s back, the King would die beneath the knife, like one of his own victims at the main altar. Gimilzagar did not even have the time to warn him, only to stand on his feet like a resort, rush towards them to abort the attempt with his own hands, and hope that Ar Pharazôn reacted fast before he could be killed himself. Everything he had done had been done on pure instinct. There had been no images of death, suffering and destruction in his mind, not even an awareness of the many times that this man had been cruel to him or threatened those whom Gimilzagar loved. All he had seen right at that moment was a murderer - and a victim.

Your eyes have seen a murderer and a victim a thousand times, and you have never moved a finger to prevent it, the voices whispered in his mind again. Suddenly, he thought he could catch a glimpse of them in the waking world, the wrathful spirits of the dead who had once almost dragged him to the darkness where Zigûr had trapped them. They were hovering over him, like rabid hounds lured by the scent of his blood.

“Leave me alone!” he begged, even knowing that they would not listen to any of his pleas. In some corner of his mind, he was aware that the priests were also busying themselves around him, worried by what they saw as his delirious utterings. “It was an instinct. A mindless instinct, nothing more!”

There is no such thing as a mindless instinct, the voices replied pitilessly. You are flesh of his flesh and blood of his blood, and as much as you may try to deny it, his nature lives on in you. When he was under threat, all the pretence deserted your mind like fog under the sun’s pitiless glare, and you knew that this bond was the sole thread upon which your miserable existence hinged.

“No.” Gimilzagar shook his head, covering his eyes with his hands. As he did so, however, the spirits only grew clearer, their gazes brighter and more terrible. “No.

You are the tyrant’s son. And you can never, ever be anything else.

“No! Leave me alone!” The priests were working themselves into a panic by now. One of them had suggested that the blade could have been poisoned, and the second time Gimilzagar screamed he ran away from the room to report, leaving his companion in charge of the sickbed.

We will never leave you alone. We will force you to watch every man, woman and child in the throes of their agony, and we will not let you turn away from their pain. Because you are their murderer.

At some point of his anguished delirium, he could hear other people coming into the room and rushing to his bedside. One held a goblet full of warm liquid, which they gently tipped down Gimilzagar’s throat. Behind them, he heard women’s voices, living women’s voices, and he was able to recognize Ûriphel crooning in false sympathy a moment before everything went black.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

After Gimilzagar woke up, it took him a long time until he could gather his wits enough to remember where he was. When he did, the crushing weight of what had happened fell upon him, and his stomach turned. He struggled to a sitting position, frantically searching for a basin or some receptacle where he could throw up. Behind him, he could hear the sound of voices, which made him freeze for a moment. They were back. They had spoken true, they would never leave him a moment of peace again.

The man who emerged from the shadows, however, was made of flesh and blood, and easily recognizable as one of the temple priests. He seemed to have anticipated the Prince’s plight, because he was holding a basin in his hands. Gimilzagar took it, and vomited what looked like everything he had eaten in the last week.

“I am afraid this is one of the less pleasant consequences of the sedative we gave him, my lord King” he heard an apologetic voice above his retching. “A rare one, but not unheard of.”

So he was here. Wordlessly, Gimilzagar accepted the towel which was pressed into his hand, and wiped his mouth slowly and carefully with it, wishing he could just refuse to turn around until Ar Pharazôn was gone.

He would not be here anymore, if you had not saved him. You would not have needed to look at him ever again, forcing yourself to keep your composure from crumbling under his gaze, while you wonder who will be the next to die.

But the Pharazôn who was sitting by his bedside did not conform very well to those visions of terror. There were bags under his eyes, as if he had not slept in a long time, and the armour he had not taken off for so many hours was starting to weigh heavily upon him, tormenting his stiff joints. This vulnerability was already familiar to Gimilzagar, but the look in the King’s eyes gave him pause. Since he was old enough to remember, there had generally been a negative emotion there, whether it was disappointment, anger, mistrust, or mere contempt. Their rare absence had not been a reassuring circumstance, either, because whenever Ar Pharazôn decided to hide those feelings deeper down than he used to, Gimilzagar had learned to expect a strike. Now, the King of Númenor’s features were full of a warmth and pride which scared Gimilzagar more than anything else in the world.

“Your little nervous breakdown scared those priests out of their wits”, Pharazôn spoke, in a fond, indulgent voice. The Prince nodded, not knowing very well what to say. “It will reassure you to know that Zigûr managed to obtain all the information that we needed. The novice who attacked me was part of a plot hatched by the Baalim-worshippers to end my life before I could launch the expedition against their beloved Lords of the West. He entered the Temple with false letters which claimed he had been raised in the service of the god in the temple of Sor, and for months he posed as a pious young man, while he looked for the right opportunity to strike. Yesterday, he almost had it within his grasp, but you foiled him.”

Foiled by the abomination. For all those years, Gimilzagar had never admitted to himself that he could be seeking the approval of the fanatics who had already tried to murder him in the past. That would be as absurd as it was pathetic, given who he was and how they felt about him. Still, at some point, the love of Fíriel, the men and women he rescued in Andúnië at her prompting, and, above all, the grudging acceptance he had managed to wrestle from them at the end of their long journey across the Island must have clouded his rationality, and he had unconsciously started to believe that he could be something else than their sworn enemy. Now, after this rude wake-up call, he was back to seeing things with clarity. If he ever fell into their hands, he could expect no mercy.

“He confessed all this himself?” he asked, to cover up his turmoil. “And… did you hear him, or was it just Zigûr who did?”

Gimilzagar was expecting the King to roll his eyes, and declare that hatred for Zigûr was clouding his mind. But again, he was wrong. Ar Pharazôn looked deadly serious when he gazed back at him, but his anger was not directed towards Gimilzagar.

“Zigûr will not risk my displeasure again anytime soon. He knew that you had touched the man’s mind before he did, so he had to be very careful about what he said.”

The Prince’s eyes widened. He had not had the time to see what was in the man’s thoughts, for they had been overshadowed by an unfathomable depth of hatred, and the will of murder. And yet, what the King was suggesting was that his word, Gimilzagar’s word, would be of more value to him than Zigûr’s word.

“Why do you look so surprised? That accursed demon may be useful, but he also has his limitations. That he failed to perceive this threat, and allowed that wretch to hide under his very nose, shows this better than anything else. Then again, neither did your proud mother, who claims to know everything. They were both blind, either by incompetence or because they actually thought they could get rid of me, which would only be another form of incompetence.” At some point, Ar Pharazôn had risen from his seat and started pacing around the room. “It does not matter. A King does not trust people; he only employs their skills for his higher ends, as far as they remain useful.”

His voice was apparently calm, but his agitation seemed to be mounting as he spoke. Beneath it, Gimilzagar saw the vulnerability again, the one which had already revealed itself earlier. Could this incident have unhinged Ar Pharazôn?

“But I have to confess something, Gimilzagar. For all this time, I have been wrong to dismiss the importance of blood. When a man is on his own in a nest of vipers, what can he trust, if not blood?” He stopped on his tracks, and gazed at him solemnly. “I am aware that we have often treated each other like enemies. But at the moment of truth, only my own blood would have responded the way you did. Only my son would have saved my life at the risk of his.”

You are the tyrant’s son. And you can never, ever be anything else.

“I am sure there are many loyal Númenóreans who would have done what I did”, Gimilzagar protested, uncomfortably. “I was simply –there at the right time.”

Ar Pharazôn frowned.

“Do not give me vain platitudes! It has taken me many years, but I have finally been able to read your mind, just as you claim to be able to read that of others. While you were lying on that floor, nursing your wound and staring at me in disbelief, I could see through you. And I realized that, despite all the people who have tried to poison your mind, despite my own unfair treatment of you, deep in your heart, you have always been loyal to me.” He paused for a moment, as if he needed to gather something other than breath to utter the next words. “Please forgive me for doubting it, my son.”

Gimilzagar wanted to protest again, to say that he did not deserve, did not want an apology. That the King had blown the incident, and Gimilzagar’s role in it, out of proportion. It had been too long since his life had been under any sort of threat, and Zigûr had lulled him into a false sense of security where he almost saw himself as a god already, untouchable by mortals. The rude wakeup call had briefly undone him, which was why, not used to this inconvenient weakness, he was desperately searching for something to hold on to. But if Gimilzagar had not jumped in, someone else would have done so –one of the other priests, or perhaps Ar Pharazôn himself would have reacted in time, and mastered his foe on his own.

Except Gimilzagar knew that this was not true. It had only been a brief, vivid flash in his mind, but he had seen his father lying in a pool of blood at his feet. His intervention alone had changed this fate, altering the fate of the rest of the world in the process.

He could forgive his father now, accept his outstretched hand and dwell under the pleasant shade of his favour while it lasted. But no one would ever forgive him.

Ar Pharazôn’s hand had always been warmer than his own, but this time its palm felt positively smouldering under his. Still, its grip was a little less firm than it used to be, and when the King pulled him into an embrace, Gimilzagar could feel a raw need such as he had never before detected in such a proud man, rising from his spirit like a tall wave.

“Well”, Ar Pharazôn chuckled, pulling away from him moments later. “Now that this incident is already behind us, what do you say if we both return to the Palace? I have much to do, and you need to eat and rest and see to your injury. For immortality will do you no good if you do not live long enough to attain it, will it?”

Gimilzagar’s legs gave way under him, and he sat on the bed, gazing in shock as his father signalled the priests to approach and abandoned the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The boy’s forehead was curved in a frown of deep concentration, as he gazed at his opponent from behind his sword. At first, he had looked a little nervous to Ilmarë’s eye, but when she saw that he remained still, refusing to rush his move despite the fact that the man was drawing closer and closer to him, she had to admit that his presence of mind might be greater than she gave him credit for. Either that, or he was petrified by fear, she thought- though knowing him, this option was rather unlikely. Elendur had confidence, perhaps too much of it.

“Be careful!” Irissë shrieked when Tal Elmar’s sword swished too close to his ear. Elendur moved to the side with agility, then drew a graceful arch with his sword, until it collided with that of his opponent with a loud clang. He had put all his weight behind it, and his low growl and the pale colour of his hands told Ilmarë that he was trying to overbear Tal Elmar with his strength. The barbarian frowned in disapproval.

“What are you doing?” he scolded. “I taught you to use the weapons at your disposal! Your strength is not…” His words died on his throat, and he bit back a curse as Elendur suddenly jumped to the side and pulled back. In the last moment, Tal Elmar managed not to fall forwards –which would have been quite an embarrassing way to be defeated by a ten-year-old before the lord of Andúnië-, but the time he needed to regain his balance was enough for the boy to stand back, and adopt a flawless stance.

“Oh, that was very good!” Irissë applauded. Irimë scolded her for distracting the fighters, while Lord Amandil merely nodded in silence.

Ilmarë had to admit that she was starting to feel impressed. Elendur was a very undisciplined child, and yet she was unable to find any traces of this while he was engaging in swordsmanship. For all that Isildur complained because Tal Elmar didn’t fight like a proper Númenórean, even his shortcomings in that department seemed to have turned out to his advantage when he began teaching Elendur. The boy did not only know his moves, he also had a penchant for trickery and creativity which might prove very useful once he was older.

“That is it! That is the way to do it!” Irissë cried, delighted, when her darling son managed to score a point. It had been his only point of five, as he was still no match for Tal Elmar, but to his loving mother, it was just as if he had won a tournament. “I am so proud of my little boy!”

Elendur retreated, his look one of embarrassed outrage, but Tal Elmar frowned at him until he reluctantly agreed to submit to Irissë’s transports. Since the day that Ilmarë had that conversation with him, the barbarian had kept her words at heart – perhaps a little too much, if Elendur’s current frustration was any indication. As a reward for his efforts, Irissë herself had named him her son’s instructor, despite Ilmarë’s strong suspicion that she must have some idea of why her husband disappeared with him so often while he was in Rómenna. Then again, since Fíriel had decided to stay in the Palace and doom herself to a life of loneliness and humiliation, Ilmarë no longer felt qualified to judge anyone else for their choices. Perhaps Irissë was not so stupid as she appeared at first sight– after all, she enjoyed an honourable status as Isildur’s wife and the mother of her child, and, as far as everyone else was concerned, she was not even forced to share her house with a mistress. The young man was unfailingly polite and humble in her presence, and had provided Elendur with the male guidance that his often absent father could not give him. Perhaps love was not everything in this world, and the surest path to unhappiness lay in pretending that it was.

“You should not praise him so much. It will make him too proud, and then he will think that he is entitled not to pay attention to his studies as long as he excels in this. Boys love mindless sword-waving too much for their parents to give them the impression that it is the only thing that matters.”

“Studies!” Irissë scoffed at his sister. To her, nothing that her son did not do well could ever be important, Ilmarë thought wryly. “What is studying going to avail him when he is in the mainland facing wild barbarians? Our family needs strong men to protect our colonies and keep us safe.” The emphasis on the word ‘men’ made the daughter of Elendil send a meaningful glance in her mother’s direction, but Eluzîni was faster.

“A well-balanced education is a requisite for anyone called to fulfil great responsibilities”, she said, sententiously. Then, she leaned forwards to ruffle Elendur’s hair. “But this young man is clever enough to take on that challenge and many more, now isn’t he?”

“That he is!” Irissë nodded fondly. Findis snorted.

“Well, he thinks that the Middle Havens are South of Umbar! The day he goes to the mainland, he is not even going to find his enemies!”

The boy’s face reddened.

“Nobody asked for your opinion!”

“There, there”, Eluzîni hurried to interject -which was fortunate, for her voice covered a remark from Irissë that sounded suspiciously like ‘she takes after her mother then’. She looked at Elendil, silently asking for help, but to both her and Ilmarë’s surprise, he was not even paying attention to the bickering. His eyes were fixed on his father, who was gazing at what seemed to be the tiles on the floor with a strange frown. At first, Ilmarë believed the lord of Andúnië to be merely displeased by the behaviour of his family. Then, she realized that something was off.

“Is something the matter, Grandfather?” Though the rational part of her knew that the world did not revolve around Fíriel, it was an ingrained habit to think of her whenever something was amiss.

Amandil looked up at the sound of her voice. He had the expression of someone who had just emerged from a trance, or from a vision, she thought, more and more worried. The squabbling ceased as everybody’s attention became fixed on him, until even the children fell silent.

“Trouble” he said, in an eerie tone which seemed to belong to a different person, though Ilmarë could see his lips moving to form the words. “Trouble is coming. And we must be ready for it. All of us.”

Ilmarë swallowed.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Pharazôn gazed through the window, though it was long since his eyes had ceased taking in anything they saw. All he could manage to focus on was his hand, which had again started to tremble almost imperceptibly against the railing. He had never seen his hands shake before: they had always remained steady, even in the middle of the bloodiest battlefield. Even when he faced the wraith from Mordor, who instilled fear in his enemies through black sorcery.

Why was this happening to him now? Sometimes, he wondered if he understood himself well enough to tell anymore. He could not be afraid of that wretch who tried to sink a sacrificial blade in him, a man he had disarmed in one move and who had been defenceless when Zigûr ripped his mind to shreds to tear away the information about his motives and his accomplices. And it would be even more absurd to fear those around him, the demon with the ability to enter minds who claimed not to have found it necessary to bother with the thoughts of a lowly acolyte, or the woman who saw everything that was and would be, yet sat in her throne, smiling throughout the incident. As he had said to Gimilzagar the other day, if they did not want him dead, they had proved incompetent, but if they did, they had proved even more so.

Whichever of the two it had been, the truth was that Pharazôn had been about to die a sordid, inglorious death at the hands of a nobody. He had almost lost his life before he was finally ready to fulfil the destiny he had grown to see as his: to either die fighting the gods, or become one of them. He thought he had been thinking strategically when he decided not to rush things, to take care of every last detail, so as to not let all his hopes for victory and the glory of Númenor hinge on a faulty dice throw. But, what if he had just been thinking like a coward all this time? Perhaps he had tried to delay his fate for so long that his indecision had fed the determination of his enemies. And in the end, one of them had almost wrestled this fate away from his hands, consigning him to an afterlife of darkness and oblivion.

Now, Pharazôn was alive, while the man was dead. He had seen him die, too lost in his own madness to even feel the pain, and yet the King of Númenor still felt the same shivers crossing his spine whenever he remembered how close it had been. If it had not been for Gimilzagar, the attempt would have succeeded.

The Prince of the West’s actions had been providential. He had perceived the budding thought in the man’s mind before he could strike, thanks to that rare gift he had been born with. Immediately, he had jumped into the fray, proving that he was his father’s son, despite the long years of denial. Pharazôn had been wrong to suspect him in the past, and now that he had realized his mistake, he would be a fool if he let insignificant issues like Gimilzagar’s sensitiveness, his quirks, his defiance or his choice of women come between them again. Why had he ever let things like this matter? It seemed almost too childish on hindsight, to be up in arms because his son did not want to be like him. For a long time, he had let his pride obscure the knowledge that loyalty was the only thing that was truly important, and a loyalty that could not be erased by years of bitterness and enmity was the most important of all. In the past, Pharazôn had gone as far as to threaten Gimilzagar with a bleak future where he would have to kill people with his own hands to remain alive, because he would no longer be needed as an heir. Now, it was only fitting that, as a peace offer, he promised his son freedom from this sinister dependence which had tormented him since he was a child.

And he would fulfil his promise. From this day on, he would stop contemporizing and giving his flank to his attackers, trying to coexist with his enemies and manage his conquests in fear of an uprising. He would pull his forces from the mainland and into the Island, and gather them for a single strike where he would lay all his hopes and chances. And he would never look back, doubt his fate, or regret his choices. Because now, he knew that if he was not ready to act as a god, he would die as a man.

“My lord king, he is here”, the voice of the Chamberlain interrupted his feverish thoughts. Pharazôn was glad that he was giving the man his back, because this way he could not see his unseemly start at being caught by surprise. He cursed between his teeth, how could he have lowered his guard again so soon? “He is waiting in the adjoining room, as you ordered.”

“Good”, he said, taking a sharp breath before he turned away from the window and followed him.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

It had been many years now since the last time Ar Pharazôn saw the man who had once been his best friend, and he could not help but feel shocked at his appearance. Amandil looked old, almost too old. There were grey patches in his hair, wrinkles on his forehead, and he seemed bent by an invisible weight which slowed his movements, even as he knelt before him and bowed low. They said that the house of Andúnië aged slower, so this sight provided the King with an unpleasant reminder of how he might look himself, if not for Zigûr’s magic.

Would his corpse have been that of a disgusting old man, once the magic was severed by his death? Ar Pharazôn shook his head, forcing himself to discard those morbid thoughts and focus on the conversation at hand.

“Well, well. I am greatly honoured by the visit of the powerful lord of Andúnië, the representative of the Lords of the West in the world of mortals” he greeted him, his tone dripping with irony. “I am eager to receive the gift of his wisdom.”

As he had expected, the wretch did not flinch, and his expression was not altered in the slightest. Age and adversity seemed to have done nothing to curb his pride.

“I was shocked when I heard about the assassination attempt, my lord King. I am glad that you survived it.”

He looked so solemn as he spoke his words, that an ignorant listener might even have been convinced of their sincerity. Pharazôn scoffed.

“No, you are not. And in case you are witless enough to be glad, I will remind you in a moment of why you should not be. The would-be murderer was one of yours, a Baalim-worshipper who was doing the work of your gods.”

Amandil took a deep breath.

“My gods, as you call them, would not have sent this man to do their work. And neither would I.”

“Well, then he was obviously taking his orders from someone else.” He had no time for stupid arguments about the nature or the morality of higher beings, and even less for Amandil’s excuses. “But this is not about whether you are innocent or guilty in this matter. If it had been, you would not have been brought before me, you would be dead.”

“Then what is it about, my lord King?”

For a moment, Pharazôn longed to hit him.

“Well, for starters, I would appreciate some information. Tell me who are those among your people who think like this man, who leads them, and where they live.”

Amandil shook his head, ruefully.

“I do not know.”

“That is not good enough. You were supposed to be their leader. Their representative. The one who kept them in check.”

“Then, I have obviously failed in my task, my lord King.” He bowed. “Guilty of the murder attempt or not, I accept every responsibility for what has happened.”

The King stared, unable to find a suitable retort in his outrage. He could not believe this. What was the old fool playing at? Did he think this was a game he could win?

“You are right. You are responsible for your inability to control your people, so I am sure that you will agree with what I must do next.” Amandil looked down, as if steeling himself for an inevitable blow, but when Pharazôn spoke again, he froze. “As of this moment, I am declaring my oath to you null and void.”

For the first time, there was a strong emotion to be detected in the lord of Andúnië’s countenance. He sought Pharazôn’s eyes, incredulous.

“That is - impossible. You may kill me if you wish, because that is your prerogative. But it is not a man’s prerogative to break an oath. Any man.

“Oh, how I have missed you telling me what I can or cannot do”, the King snorted. “Not to mention your hypocrisy. You would even go as far as to defend an oath sworn by gods you do not believe in!”

“Believe in them or not, it was still an oath. And there are powers in this world who bear witness to oaths, regardless of whether the men involved called upon them or not.”

“I swore an oath to protect your people, Amandil!” Pharazôn stood up, and began pacing across the room again. “Now, you have just proved to me that they are no longer your people, so why should they be protected by that oath? Or are you able to vouch for all of them, for their thoughts, their words and deeds? Would you swear on that?”

“The men and women who worship the Valar are peaceful”, the lord of Andúnië replied hotly. “They are not assassins. This was one isolated case, my lord King.”

“Well, then tell me how many more isolated cases there are. Tell me!”

“As I said, I do not know. And even if I did, you would not be content with ten names, or a hundred, or a thousand. You would always believe there were more, and that I was lying to you”, Amandil hissed. “You are merely trying to impose a false dilemma upon me so you can blame me for breaking your oath. In all these years, you have done many things I did not believe you capable of, but even in your worst moments, you had never stooped so low.”

“How dare you?” Pharazôn was only distantly aware that his face had gone livid. “Who do you think you are, to speak to me like this?” He stood still, shaking, until he managed to swallow his rage and regain his dignity. He was the King of the World, in his way to becoming a god, he could not let an insignificant wretch provoke him. “It does not matter. You are right, my decision is already made. From this day henceforth, I will no longer protect the people of Rómenna, or suffer them to hold their own beliefs, practice their rites, or worship my enemies. They will pray and sacrifice to the Great Deliverer, like the rest of the Númenóreans, or be guilty of treason.”

“With all my respects, my lord King, it is unjust to doom many for the actions of one guilty person.”

“I am not interested in discussing or negotiating my measures with you. You ceased being a valid interlocutor the moment you were exiled.”

Now, Amandil looked at the verge of losing his composure as well.

“If I am not a valid interlocutor, then why did you summon me here?”

“I summoned you to tell you what I am going to do. To talk to you. That does not mean that you are allowed to talk back to me, and you are definitely not entitled to contest my decisions.”

“Then I will not talk back to you any longer, my lord King”, Amandil said, his gaze cold as ice. “To tell the truth, whenever I look at you now, I no longer see anyone to talk back to.”

“Good”, Pharazôn replied airily. “That should mean I have grown wise enough not to engage in pointless argument with my enemies. You may retire now. Oh, but before you do…”

Amandil froze in mid-bow, his eyes cautiously set on the floor.

“Yes?”

“I believe you will have many people to ferry across the Great Sea now. Do you have enough ships for all of them? And, what about your lands and resources in the barbarian North? Can you keep feeding and housing everyone when they arrive in droves, and protect them from the retaliation of the natives?” While he spoke, Ar Pharazôn had been watching the lord of Andúnië’s expression carefully, and he saw many emotions cross it in a short span of time. Confusion turned to realization, realization to horror, horror to alarm, and from there to a false indifference which came a little too late. “I must say, I am eager to find out.”

Amandil took a while to recover this time. His brow had creased in a frown, as if he was evaluating his options, but he did not speak a word.

 “Tomorrow, I will sign the decree, and in a few days it will be made public. So you should better hurry and have everybody who does not wish to worship the Númenórean gods leave the Island as fast as possible. The sooner this place is clean of vermin, the earlier I can set on my expedition, and the less deaths you will have to mourn.” Pharazôn smiled. “At least in Númenórean soil.”

True to his word, the lord of Andúnië did not talk back. Still, as he departed, there was a look on his face which the King, despite all the years of hostility and mistrust, had never seen there before. As he dissected it in his mind, it belatedly struck Pharazôn that the last link of the chain which had bound the two of them, since the day they met on those sunny temple gardens, had been severed at last.

And he felt nothing at all.

“Farewell, Hannimelkor” he muttered, turning away from the doorstep to retreat into his own quarters.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The feast had been extended for another full week, and the day declared holy in Númenor. Every year, the Island would commemorate how the Great Deliverer, through his servant Gimilzagar, had foiled the plots of the wicked and saved the King from assassination in his own temple. They would also commemorate the publication of the decree abolishing the exemptions that the cities of Rómenna and Pelargir had enjoyed in matters of religion. There was no peaceful coexistence to be had with those who worshipped the King’s enemies and followed their orders, for as long as they were allowed to live in the Island they would conspire and spy for their true masters, and hinder the King’s plans. Zigûr had been warning about this for a long time, but Pharazôn had not been swayed until his own eyes had seen the enemy blade stop inches away from severing the thread of his life.

To be accused of fallibility would be a fair price to pay, Zimraphel thought wryly, watching as the High Priest of Melkor finished his prayers before the altar. The flames illuminating his features contrasted sharply with the darkness of the dimly-lit room, giving him a sinister look which she found vaguely reminiscent of his true face.

“The Queen of Númenor ascribing evil and twisted motives to me. How surprising”, he chuckled, with the same tone a common man would use to banter with an old rival whom they secretly appreciated. Not for the first time, she wondered if Melian’s spirit was truly in her, buried somewhere beneath her mortal crust.

“To ascribe evil and twisted motives to an evil and twisted being is nothing farfetched”, she replied in kind. Zigûr smiled, taking his eye away from the altar flames as he slowly turned around to face her.

“Then what does this make you, my Queen? Surely it has not escaped your subtle mind that you have paid the same price as I. And paid it gladly, I daresay, to further your own interests.” He began descending the stairs. “A pity that your interests are as narrow and confining as those of every woman, mortal or immortal, who has grown a life in their womb, even if its nature is inferior to hers by far. But I wonder if the Prince will appreciate the favour you have rendered him, or mistrust you even more because of it.”

Zimraphel let her mouth curve in a bitter grimace, which was not entirely feigned.

“My relationship with my son is nothing of your business, Lord Zigûr.”

“That is true, my Queen. My apologies”. He lowered his head gracefully. “You, on the other hand, do not care about the Baalim-worshippers of Rómenna, and you did not come here to be offended on their behalf. Or perhaps I could be wrong in this?”

“No. It is a good thing that the Island will be rid of them at last.” Pathetic cowards, holding vainly to the debris of a sinking ship and calling it bravery, until they were sucked into the wreck’s deadly vortex, she thought in disgust. Common mortals excited nothing but contempt in her: they knew nothing, and blindly chased their primal impulses. They were like animals, who could only be prevented from taking the wrong path with fire and threats. And now, Pharazôn had turned into one of them.

Her contempt was strong enough to reach Zigûr’s mind, and he smiled delightedly.

“Interesting. You are a rare mortal indeed, my Queen, to blame the plight of your kind on their own shortcomings, instead of attributing it to higher instances who have nothing better to do in their eternal lives than making sure that you stay miserable.”

She raised an eyebrow.

“Are you perchance deriding the same lies that you feed the King, the Princess and your faithful every day? Now, that would be an exercise of cynicism worthy of an immortal!”

“Well, cynicism is something that you can appreciate, my Queen.” Zigûr retorted. “I have seen you pretend that you love your husband, and I have seen you pretend that you do not, both with the same flawless expertise. I have seen you pretend that you are helping your son, while you push him further and further into a dark abyss. And I have seen you pretend that you care about the fate of Númenor, but there is barely a soul in this Island whose death you would mourn.” He smiled again. “Perhaps you are not so different from me. We both possess a wisdom unencumbered by the clouds of common sentimentality, and we influence those around us to take the paths that we deem necessary, speaking the language that each of them knows. We know who has to live and who has to die, but we never tell them, because they would not let themselves be led to the slaughterhouse quietly.”

It had been long since Zimraphel had felt the stirrings of a strong, human emotion. For a moment, even though the rational part of her knew that he was the one invoking this weakness from the depths of her heart, she was almost overwhelmed by a vain pride, gradually unfolding into disgust at her own soul, seen from the outside as if it was a twisted, misshapen object. Suddenly, she saw her father’s face in her mind’s eye, the old King, so spent and hopeless that she could not bear the sight. I did not kill him, she had told Pharazôn, yet another exercise of cynicism among many.

Zigûr watched her with attention, his face expressionless. Behind it, however, the red eye was gleaming in triumph.

“You are wrong. You and I are not the same, Lord Zigûr” she hissed. His smile almost turned into laughter, and his tone grew contemptuous.

“True. There is one difference between us: you are still mortal, and you have weaknesses. And if you ever defy me, or hinder me, I will drive a sword through them until I reach your heart.”

When Zimraphel reached her rooms in the Palace, her hands were still shaking slightly, but her heartbeat had stilled. And when she saw her own face stare back at her from the silver mirror, she let her lips curve in a tremulous smile.

 

 

Black Clouds

Read Black Clouds

 

(Year 3315)

 

Years ago, he had lost the ability to remember his dreams after he woke up. Whenever the lights of dawn began filtering through the window and he lay on his bed, his eyes still closed, he could feel his mind crawling with half-finished, nightmarish visions, whose meaning he could no longer put together. He would try to recall them, to carefully untangle a single thread from this dark jumble, but in the end, he was always forced to admit his defeat. And then he would push his aching body away from the covers, wipe the beads of sweat from his throbbing forehead, and do everything he could to turn the shaking old man who stared back at him from the mirror into the wise and steadfast lord of Andúnië, whose ancestors had never looked like this a year shy from their two-hundredth birthday.

That morning, Elendil and Irimë were already waiting for him outside when he came out. They looked haggard, and their eyes had bags under them, as if they had not slept in all night. As it turned out, they had spent most of it communicating with Anárion through the Seeing Stone. Elendil’s younger son had avoided the vigilance of the Merchant Princes with the aid of their allies in Pelargir, and just two days ago he had managed to sail up the Anduin unnoticed. Now, he was hiding somewhere in Arnian territory, sounding Elendil’s old allies under the Governor’s nose. It had been Anárion’s own idea to go there instead of Elendil, as he looked remarkably like his father, had inherited his diplomatic skills, and his life was much less valuable. Amandil had always felt uncomfortable about his second grandson’s warped sense of duty, but this time he had been unable to voice any serious objections. At the end of the day, Anárion was right: they could no longer expect everybody to remain safe in this world, and the choices they made had to be very careful.

Still, to add to his unease, Irimë had supported her husband’s decision wholeheartedly –or so they said, for Amandil wondered if she hadn’t come up with the idea herself. Everybody in the house of Andúnië seemed to agree that they were a loving, perfect couple, unlike their brother and sister, and yet Amandil did not like her cold-bloodedness in the face of his danger. Women who loved their husbands did not want them to volunteer for extremely dangerous missions only so they could prove themselves to their families.

“He is safe”, she announced. A flicker of relief softened the steely spark of her eyes, and suddenly Amandil felt sorry for thinking badly of her. As Lalwendë herself had put it once, while discussing a different issue, it was just too tempting to think badly of Irimë: she was harsh, loud, overbearing, and easy to blame for everything that was wrong with the world. “And he is also making progress.”

“Abanazer’s clients were not mistaken. We left deeper roots in Arne that are no less strong for being invisible”, Elendil nodded.

“That is an understatement. According to Anárion, Lord Elendil is almost a god to the Arnians! He could not believe it when they told him they would rather die than allow a hair of Elendil’s son’s head to be harmed.” Irimë seemed impressed, but Elendil shook his head at her words. Amandil detected a vague discomfort in his manner.

“Arnians are quick with words, but they do not always follow through with everything they say”, he retorted. “I am not that sure that they are ready to defy the Sceptre openly.”

“Even considering the barbarian penchant for loud declarations, no one can deny that this sentiment exists. And we can use it to our advantage!”, Irimë argued. “Especially now that the Sceptre’s hold on the mainland is not as absolute as it used to be in the past. The Easterlings are a good example of the power of popular imagination in the fight against oppression.”

Lately, they had been hearing many rumours about the so-called Divine Emperor of Rhûn. According to some of them, he was the long-lost descendant of the last Emperor before the Conquest, whose father had escaped the Palace after a loyal nurse exchanged the babies. For most, however, he was a mere mountain barbarian who had somehow managed to unify the tribes by making them believe in his ridiculous claims. Whoever he was, he seemed hell-bent in causing Ar Pharazôn one headache after another. He had been crushed in battle several times, but always managed to emerge again, boasting of new followers. Certain rumours claimed that he had been victorious more often than the Island was allowed to know, that most cities in the area no longer sent tribute to Númenor, and that he had had a large temple built where every captured Númenórean was thrown into the flames. Amandil imagined that wishful thinking had coloured some of those accounts, as they were mostly whispered among the secret Faithful who were eager to see any sign of Heaven’s punishment of the Sceptre, but since Ar Pharazôn had pulled out so many of his troops from the mainland in the last years, it was quite possible that this had caused backlash in the farthest lands of the Númenórean empire.

“Well, we still do not know how that will end. But even if he is successful, we cannot compare a distant land whose administration was never under our King’s direct control with Arne. The Arnians have lived under a military governor since the days of Tar Palantir, and half of their nobility keeps commercial ties with the Merchant Princes of Pelargir”, Elendil replied. “And I also made some powerful enemies while I was there.”

“Still, popular sentiment is more important than many give it credit for! Even the powerful must manage it, or risk losing the support of their clients and subjects.”

Amandil listened to them in silence. As it happened increasingly often to him, his mind felt sluggish, and he could not think of anything significant to contribute to the discussion. Looking at Irimë’s intent expression, he wondered if he had ever been like this, young enough to have clear thoughts about everything, and certain of the steps he had to take to achieve victory or deliverance. He was slightly worried that he could not remember.

“Are there any news about Isildur?” he asked after a while of standing there, absorbed by his musings. His son and granddaughter-in-law fell silent, and their attention shifted back to him.

“Not yet”, Elendil answered. This was nothing unusual by itself; in Amandil’s experience, Isildur preferred to hide behind clumsy excuses about the Seeing Stone being too draining and time-consuming just so he could escape the unwelcome meddling of his elders. Back when Anárion went North with him, his younger brother had been the one to report back to them most of the time, but now that Isildur was on his own, the best they could hope for was that he would inform them if something truly serious happened. All the arguments Amandil had started in order to make his grandson change his behaviour had proved ultimately sterile: Isildur would nod to everything, and then continue to do as he wished. He was just as stubborn as his grandfather, but much younger and stronger and with greater freedom of movement. He also commanded the blind loyalty of his improvised army, which he had led many times into victory, and the more Amandil thought about this, the harder it was to banish Elendil’s comparison with Ar Pharazôn from his mind. And yet, as Amandil himself had claimed back then, he was still their best hope to settle their people in the mainland safely, and any promise of security, distant and dearly bought as it might be, was growing harder and harder to dismiss.

“If something bad happens in the North, we will hear about it”, he shrugged. Irimë’s lips curved briefly in an unmistakeable gesture of disapproval.

“Well, I will be leaving now”, he announced. The words left his mouth with great difficulty, almost as if he had to force them to pass through his throat. When he uttered them, it was as if a gust of cold wind had suddenly blown inside the room, and both his interlocutors’ features grew grim.

“I will accompany you, Father”, Elendil said. Amandil shook his head, conveying true authority for the first time since he had awoken from that nightmare he had forgotten.

“No, you will not. Only my presence is required, as head of the house of Andúnië.” Before Elendil could open his mouth, he spoke again. “Elendil, if you could only protect me by doing this, perhaps we might be having a different conversation. But you cannot, and all your sufferings would be futile, as they would merely be added to my own.” And there was too much suffering in the world already to add even more to it.

Elendil did not look quite convinced, but he must have perceived that Amandil would never be swayed on this point. As their gazes met, his son’s grey eyes were clouded by concern.

Amandil smiled, an empty smile that would fail to reach much warmer souls than his.

“Expect me for dinner”, he said, before he turned away from them and left the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The new Governor of Sor was a much younger and far less amiable man than his predecessor. Whenever he set eyes on Amandil, his usually harsh demeanour grew colder than ice, and the lord of Andúnië knew that every one of his underlings had strict orders to keep him under surveillance at all times, even after he had been searched for weapons and his bodyguards stopped at the threshold of the palace. He would never admit to such petty thoughts while so many around him risked and lost their lives on a daily basis, but Amandil missed the man who, for all his calculating merchant ways, had always made him feel in some level as if he was still worthy of respect.

“I thought your son was also coming”, his successor remarked, as soon as Amandil bowed curtly before him. His gaze was narrowed in an accusing frown, which the lord of Andúnië withstood without blinking.

“My son is a very busy man.”

“Busy plotting against the Sceptre, no doubt”, the Governor replied with a shrug. A younger Amandil would have wanted to punch that smug expression away from his face, but the old Amandil just smiled tersely and said nothing. “Come. You will stand next to me.”

As they climbed the stairs which would take them to the arched gallery right above the altar, the heat started creeping insidiously underneath his skin, and he felt transported back to his sombre childhood of daily rituals and prayers, of pretending to be one more of them in order to stay alive. Elendil, Isildur and Anárion had experienced their share of hardships and perils, but they had never known this. That was why it had to be him, and he would not have it any other way. Deep inside, his heart told him that every one of them had a destiny, a bright, glorious and free destiny, so different from Amandil’s as the birds that soared the skies were different from the mice crawling in holes under the ground. And in order to fulfil it, they should never become entangled in this. Their souls had to remain pure, untarnished by the strain of bowing before those more powerful and sharing in their evil to avoid death. Unbroken.

“Do you know these people?” the Governor of Sor asked, with a sneering voice. Amandil ignored him, but he leaned forwards slightly, curious in spite of his better instincts. Sometimes, he did know those people, and only the last time he had recognized at least two faces. Years ago, during those hellish first months, it had been more, as they had rounded up all the Faithful who had been unwilling or unable to leave the Island, and too many of them had refused to prove their loyalty to the Sceptre by praying in the altars of Melkor. After a while, however, the waters grew stiller, for most of those who chose to remain decided to bow to necessity, and those who didn’t had taken ship for Middle-Earth. Now, it was mostly people who were caught in the act of praying to the King’s enemies or speaking treasonous words, or had simply run afoul of the authorities or their neighbours, whether they were true Faithful or not.

This time, Heaven chose to be merciful, at least to Amandil, because he saw no one he could recognize. Still, the unknown people who were doomed to die today struggled, cried and screamed just as much, and when the knives sunk on their flesh, their blood was the same shade of red. Amandil recalled the bulls and cows that had been sacrificed in the Old Temple of Armenelos, how even they had struggled and bellowed in a vain attempt to escape their fate. He remembered the priests who had slept, eaten and studied their lessons together with him, standing by the altar during those sacrifices, and looking as impassive as the priests who stood before them now. All it took was to see men as animals, he realized, and all of a sudden it struck him how monstrously easy it was. It had been easier with the barbarians, of course, whose cries were uttered in a strange language, and whose features and bodies looked so different from theirs. With fellow Númenóreans, it was a little harder, because people could see their own fellow citizens, their kin, themselves staring back at them. But even then, a declaration of guilt could destroy those instinctive bonds of sympathy, as their treason turned them into the worst animals of all: poisonous vermin which infected the Island and threatened its inhabitants. In the end, their deaths had become as cathartic for the multitude who stood in this temple as trampling a bug underneath one’s heel. And those who did not feel like this would be very careful not to show their fear or disgust openly, as a man who saw himself reflected in the gazes of traitors was no better than a traitor himself.

That was why Amandil now gazed at the carnage without blinking, flinching or otherwise showing any signs of disloyalty to the piercing glance of the Governor. When everybody chanted the name of the Deliverer, his voice joined the chant, loud and clear. He had grown too old and useless to participate in his family’s mainland ventures, even to give advice to men who had grown into leaders too far away from his reach, but at least he could still contribute to their cause by doing what he knew.

“Your piety is as remarkable as always, Lord Amandil”, the Governor spoke, as the last of the corpses went up in flames, and the heavy smell of charred meat filled their nostrils. “It is a pity that a man as pious as you are would have a son who demonstrates so little interest in holy matters.”

“He is not uninterested, my lord governor. As I said, he unfortunately happens to be very busy”, Amandil replied, still in the same calm tone as before, though the man’s unusual insistence struck him as a bad omen. “As the head of the house of Andúnië, only my presence is required to represent my house in this ceremony.”

His interlocutor’s savage grin confirmed his vague fears.

“Not any more. Listen to me very carefully, Lord Amandil, because I will only say this once. Your son’s absence is giving me serious reason to doubt the loyalty of your family. And, if there is any doubt about the loyalty of a family, you know very well what must happen. I will extend them all an invitation to the King’s Festival in Spring, and they will have the honour of standing next to me, in the Main Gallery. Perhaps they will be acquainted with more of our… guests than you are.”

Amandil’s hand held the railing so tight that his knuckles grew white, and yet he did not betray his weakness to the enemy. Just as when he had chanted the name of Melkor, his voice remained firm.

“Very well. I will pass your message to him, lord governor.”

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

He did not have dinner with his family, in spite of his earlier promise. Instead, the moment he was back home, he exchanged his audience clothes –still impregnated in the horrible smell of human flesh- for more comfortable ones, put on his boots, and took the familiar path down the cliffs. He was not thinking of a route, or truly registering the sight of the clouded skies, the thundering noise of the waves breaking on the rocks below, or even where he put his feet. Still, just as it happened whenever he came this way, eventually his steps brought him to the place where Lord Númendil had watched the sun rise for the last time.

He had known. Of course, his foresighted father had been aware of what was coming for all of them; men, women and children alike. And he had done the only sensible thing he could think of, which was to abandon the struggle while he was still ahead of the shadows pursuing him. Amandil, on the other hand, had preferred to cling to the illusion that he could still be a hero, even in the most twisted and unthinkable of ways -that his presence could still make some sort of difference. But the truth was that his son and grandsons, and even a woman who had joined the family through marriage, were all better equipped than he was to deal with their mainland ventures. He had been a warrior, a man of action once, but at every day that passed he felt more out of touch with the comings and goings beyond the Great Sea, as if Middle-Earth was a living body whose pulse he could no longer feel beneath his hands. Even his prophetic dreams were gone, or at least his ability to remember them. Pharazôn, his childhood friend, the man he would have given his life for when he was younger, gazed at him with eyes where there was no longer any trace of recognition, after the demon’s lies had finally succeeded in erasing their shared past from his mind. And now, his last line of defence, the idea that by going back to his former life and tapping it for the grisly skills it had taught him he would protect his family from the most insidious kind of harm, was also collapsing under his feet. For nearly seven years, he had acted as a shield, absorbing the impact of a thousand cruel blows. Now, the shield was half-shattered and useless, and the enemy was moving for the kill.

Oh, you wish to die because you think that you are useless? Yehimelkor had not been the laughing sort, but he was laughing now in Amandil’s head. Is this the result of the pernicious teachings of your people, that each and every one of you feels entitled to determine why your god keeps you here, and to correct him if he is wrong?

Amandil shook his head, bitterly. The former High Priest had always been too stubborn to admit any wisdom other than his own, but there was no such thing as being kept alive by a god. The more he thought about it, the more he realized it was nothing but the name Men had given to their own wish to cling to life at all costs. Amandil no longer felt this wish, and if he ever had, the hundredth cry for help he could not answer had taken that away from him.

If I felt it was my time to die, I do not think I would choose to sit and watch the sun rise, he had said not too long ago, seized by an impulse which he now recognized as the bravado of a much younger man, in spirit if not in years. I would do something that only a dying man who no longer cares for his own life could do. Since then, he had admonished the Faithful many times to forsake pointless heroism, to bow and chant the name of Melkor and do whatever was required to preserve their lives and those of their families, until they could all be ferried away to a better world. But there was no better world for Amandil to escape to, no reason to preserve his life beyond sparing those who loved him. It was not fear of death or an attachment to his bleak existence what kept him here; rather a paralyzing feeling of impotence, because the greatest of sacrifices could no longer stop the world from sinking around him. Swaying the tyrant was impossible; murdering him even more so, as he was surrounded day and night by those who could pry inside minds and guess at other people’s intentions, and even a failed attempt would mean death for both them and their aspirations. And the other side was even worse.

Amandil shuddered, though the feeling that filled him at the thought was not fear, neither religious nor profane, but anger. Every day, as head of the house of Andúnië, he invoked the names of the Valar, asking them to protect and guide his people. But for Amandil’s entire lifetime, he had never seen the Lords of the West protect or guide anyone. They had stayed silent while their faithful were exiled, persecuted and massacred, never moving a finger to save any of those who were dragged to the altars calling their name. At least the Deliverer fulfilled his promise and delivered those who prayed to him, if only from the wrath of their fellow Númenóreans.

Back when he was still among them, Númendil used to explain this by claiming that, though the Valar were the guardians of the world, they could not interfere in the affairs of Men. But there was simply no world without Men, no land, no kindred untouched by the long shadow of their actions. How could they be treated as a mere accident, as an unpleasant business which should be put aside and left to fester? As much as he hated Ar Pharazôn for the evil he had wrought, at some level Amandil understood the yearning to bring the fight to the very doorstep of those negligent guardians, just as a child would cry and break things until he had his parents’ attention. Men did not suffer being ignored, and that was why, for every Númenórean who remembered the Valar in his prayers, there was a hundred who had long ceased doing so. And yet, to ignore back was not enough, and the forsaken child did not simply grow self-sufficient. In the depths of his heart, the hurt would always remain, until one day it would turn into resentment and hatred. Sauron had seen this situation and exploited it – but he had not created it.

Amandil stood up, his eyes wide as he came upon this fundamental realization. He, too, hated the Valar. He had never admitted it to himself in as many words, for it would compromise his efforts to conform to his role, to the position he had been assigned in this war. Now that he felt free to imagine an egregious end for himself, however, it was not Armenelos where he wanted to go, but Valinor. And it was not Ar Pharazôn’s wrath that he wanted to defy – he had already done so, many times, and though he could imagine it rising to greater heights of intensity, even destroying him, there were no new insights to be gained there. But if he took up ship, steered it in the forbidden direction and braved the perils of the Western Sea, he might be allowed to do what even Pharazôn himself could not achieve with all his ships and his soldiers: to ask why. And, if the Valar did not suffer him to pass, if the mortality which clung to his very bones proved too much of a stain for their holy land, there was nothing to fear there either. Mortals were fated to die, but never more than once.

“Father”. Dusk had fallen so fast while he was absorbed by his feverish thoughts, that Amandil was no longer able to distinguish Elendil’s features in the tall, blurred shape standing behind him. “It is almost night, and Eluzîni was worried that you might trip and fall in the dark.”

The lord of Andúnië nodded in silence, extending his hand so Elendil could help him back into the main path. As always, his son did not ask him any questions about Sor, and Amandil did not volunteer any information. Still, this time, he was so taken by his new insights that he was the first to break the silence.

“Elendil, did you ever hate me for abandoning your mother and you?”

The younger man’s face was too obscured by the shadows for his shock to be visible. Still, he paused slightly in his tracks, and Amandil knew that he was shaken.

“Please, be sincere with me. It is very important.”

This time, he could hear the unmistakeable sound of a soft sigh.

“As I believe I told you very long ago, I could not hate you for something you had done against your own will. And I had proof that it was so, so that made things easier. Mother, on the other hand…”

“… hated me because I did not tell her the truth.” For years, he remembered, he had beaten himself over this terrible miscalculation that cost him –them- so much. And yet now, he had no time for those regrets. “But, what if I had said nothing to you? To either of you? If I had merely disappeared and never came back, and many years later you heard I was the lord of Andúnië? If you saw me one day, around the Temple perhaps, and I still refused to acknowledge you? Would you hate me then?”

If Elendil had been hesitant before, now he was downright uncomfortable.

“What is the point in imagining things that never came true?” he asked, his voice a little tense. “Would the information that I may or may not have hated you if you were a different man be of any use to you?

“No, I…” Amandil’s voice trailed away, realizing that he did not know how to answer this query. Elendil was right, this line of questioning made no sense. If he had felt brave enough to imagine himself taking the forbidden direction, he should be brave enough to speak openly about what bothered him. “Do you think the Valar have forsaken us? That they have refused to acknowledge us, and their abandonment is what has led our people to this situation?”

To his surprise, Elendil did not seem nearly as bothered about this as he had been about their previous conversation.

“Yes, Father. I think so.”

Amandil stopped in his tracks. The roar of the receding tide was growing distant; he must have been wandering outside for nearly an hour.

“And this does not upset you?”

Elendil approached him until the outline of his features was visible – but, once he did, he looked down.

“I am not sure. Perhaps growing away from you acquainted me with the idea that sometimes we can be abandoned for a good reason. Or perhaps knowing of the horrors that unbridled resentment can lead to has prevented me from ever going down that path.” He shrugged in pretended ease, but his forehead was curved into a very serious frown. “All I know is that I do not have much time to think of the Valar while both my sons are in the mainland, risking their lives on a daily basis to do things I should be doing myself, or while I watch my own father wreck his soul to protect me.”

Amandil swallowed a very large knot from his throat.

“I… may not be able to do that for much longer, Elendil. The Governor of Sor is determined to have you attend the Spring festival, and he has threatened to invite us all if you do not ‘show piety’.” Suddenly unable to remain still, he climbed the next stretch of the path so fast that he was out of breath by the time he was in sight of the gate. “And unlike you, I have all the time in the world to think about it.”

Elendil followed shortly behind, his steps wider but more paused.

“I am thankful to the Governor of Sor, then. Because only when I am able to take this burden off your shoulders, the clouds that darken your mind will disperse, and you will be able to keep the bitterness at bay. I have been watching in impotence as it consumes you for too long now.”

Amandil felt suddenly angry. How could someone so perceptive be so wilfully blind to the truth?

You cannot save me, Elendil. You will stand beside the altar and you will suffer meaninglessly, as meaninglessly as the rest of us. And if you do not hate the Valar now, soon enough you will. The words were on his mind, ready to pass through his lips, and only a providential instinct stopped him in the last moment from uttering them.

“Let us go and have dinner. I am hungry”, he said instead, vowing to consign his dark thoughts to a corner of his mind for as long as Elendil was present. Soon, Lalwendë came forth to greet them, hiding her own worries behind her usual cheerful smile. Amandil returned the courtesy, complimenting the food and nodding along when she spoke of inconsequential matters like Irimë’s troubles with her daughter Faniel, or the uneven progress of Elendur’s education.

Later at night, however, as he retreated to his own chambers and managed to reach a state of fitful sleep, his mind was again overtaken by nightmares that trickled away inexorably the moment he opened his eyes.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel awoke as soon as she felt the body pressed against hers begin to stir. At first, she tried to remain still and cling to the pleasant haze clouding her mind, but when she realized that Gimilzagar was trying to disengage his limbs from hers in an attempt to depart unnoticed, her eyes flew wide open.

“Do not go”, she mumbled. Her voice came out more querulous than she had intended, and he froze.

“Fíriel, you know I cannot stay here.”

“You know that is not what I mean.”

In silence, Gimilzagar moved away from her. He was sitting on the bed now, his black eyes looming over her in the half-darkness.

“He would never allow it. He will not go anywhere without me.”

Of course not, she thought, a familiar resentment boiling in her mind. Heaven forbid that the all-powerful King of the World would step outside the Palace without his glorified bodyguard.

The Prince shook his head in irritation.

“Why do you always have to be so difficult about this?”

“Why shouldn’t I be? I am a whore, everybody in Númenor feels entitled to insult me, I must hide from your wife and I have not left my quarters in years. Perhaps I should be allowed to be difficult about something!”

A cheap shot, she thought, when she saw Gimilzagar wince. She was almost tempted to feel sorry, but it did not take him very long to recover.

“But that is why this is so important!” He struggled to his feet and sunk to his knees looking for his shoes, briefly disappearing from her line of sight. “By remaining in the King’s good graces, I can help others, and protect you.”

“Like you helped the Faithful in Rómenna?” she snorted. Another cheap shot, and yet she was in a mood where she could not stop herself from saying whatever came to her mind. To mince words and spare feelings was growing more and more difficult as the years went by in this ghastly palace. Back when she was younger, Fíriel used to believe that kindness and generosity of spirit were spontaneous traits, qualities people were born with, but the truth was that they were skills demanding plenty of hard work, and she was just too tired.

“Fíriel, the Faithful in Rómenna brought this upon themselves. They were protected, even allowed to worship the King’s enemies in the soil of the Island, and what did they do? They tried to assassinate him. And then they had the chance to leave for the mainland, and those who chose to stay were given a second chance to pray to the Deliverer, like you yourself did. What am I supposed to tell the King, that he should spare traitors who choose to remain traitors of their own free will?”

“Oh, I see. So, to follow the customs of one’s ancestors is an offence deserving of death. And to abandon them is a heroic deed deserving of immortality. Oh, yes, I can see why he is so proud of you now. He finally has a son who is his spitting image and his worthy successor!”

When Gimilzagar’s face emerged from his search, it was so deathly pale that Fíriel’s breath halted.

“You did not mean that.”

“I…” For a moment, the Prince lost the tight control he kept over his thoughts. Pain flared in Fíriel’s mind, as it bubbled with his shame and fear, and his desperate need to hold on to the lies he told himself every day since his cursed instinct had saved the King’s life.

“I will be busy with the preparations for the journey”, he announced, in a strange, matter-of-fact voice that stood in sharp contrast with his inner turmoil. “I will see you when we are back in the capital, though right now, I do not know when that will be.”

At first, Fíriel could do nothing but stare in silence, battling with her own emotions. As he moved towards the door, however, she reacted. Pulling herself up, she tried to keep the panic away from her voice.

“Wait, Gimilzagar!” He did not turn back. “Please!

There goes the Baalim-worshipping whore again, trying to use her wiles to keep him tied to her, an insidious, mocking voice whispered in her mind. She immediately forced it away.

“He is your father”, she said. “You did not need any… any excuses to save his life. It does not mean that you condone everything he did in the past, or that you are responsible for whatever he does in the future. Are you listening to me, Gimilzagar?” He had stopped in his tracks but still refused to face her, which filled her with a renewed anger. “You have your own mind, which is yours and no one else’s. If you silence it, then what is left?”

Now, the Prince of the West did turn back to look at her. His lips curved into a smile, so painful and terrible that it left her speechless.

“Peace”, he said. “Peace, Fíriel. That is what is left.”

As the door closed behind his back, she lay back on her bed staring at the ceiling, and did not move from that position until Isnayet came to forcefully pull her out from her reverie about an hour later.

“He will find his way back, my lady”, she crooned, in a comforting voice. “He always does. He loves you too much.”

Fíriel was almost tempted to smile at the involuntary depths of the Court lady’s shallow statement. But the wound was still open, so it turned into a wince instead.

“I hope so.”

The Last Campaign

Read The Last Campaign

Elendur knelt on the ground, careful not to disturb the layout of the earth near the spot where the morning dew had made it humid, porous, and susceptible to disturbances. In one corner, near the edge, there was a mark that might look haphazard to an untrained eye, but he knew it was both deliberate and recent. It did not belong to a small animal, and large animals never took this particular path since he was old enough to remember. Still, one mark was not a trail, and without a trail he did not find himself much advanced in his endeavours. He did not even know which direction its owner might have taken after he passed through here. If he was somewhere among the rocks, trying to get them to reveal their secrets would be a hard thing indeed.

At least you know he went this way, he told himself, trying to keep his discouragement at bay. And at least he knew that the rocks were the most likely hideout, precisely because it was so hard to trace people in there. Standing back on his feet, he scrutinized his surroundings as carefully as he had been taught. Then, he walked a long stretch of the path, looking for more pockets of humidity. The next one he found was wholly undisturbed, and so was the one after that, confirming his theory. He calculated forty-five paces between the only trace he had found and the untrodden earth, which was the stretch where his quarry must have left the path.

“Never surrender to frustration. Never lose heart, and never drop your guard”, he mouthed to himself, like a litany which had the virtue to calm the turmoil of his mind. A clear head was imperative, and it did not come easily to him; that was one of the first lessons he had learned.

As he undertook his meticulous search, the rising sun hurt his eyes, forcing him to protect them with his hand to avoid being blinded. An enemy would do that, if he had an ounce of sense: to use the sun against him. Everything added up, but he would get no points for figuring this out if he returned empty-handed.

“Let’s see”, he muttered, in order to channel his thoughts. There were two places where it would be easy to leave the path – perhaps too easy. After much observation and calculation, he thought he had discovered a third, but he had to test his footing to see if it was feasible. If Elendur could do it, then he most assuredly could do it too. “Come on, rock. Tell me something.

The first rocks remained silent, almost insolently so, until Elendur wondered if he was being an idiot, traipsing across the most unlikely places half-blind and risking to break his neck while his quarry laughed at him from some comfortable hideout. But just as the driest earth had pockets of humidity thanks to the morning dew, the rocks that were closest to the Sea had moss, and when he reached those, Elendur scrutinized them avidly. At first, he found nothing, and was about to feel discouraged again – but then, all of a sudden, he saw it. Only the sharp awareness that he should not be making any noises here prevented him from yelling in triumph.

On the surface of one of the rocks, the moss had definitely been disturbed. Gazing closely at it, Elendur could imagine the foot slipping an inch down the surface, even the curses, spoken in that raspy barbarian language. But the Sea had always been the ally of the Númenóreans.

Tal Elmar was sitting on a small cove underneath the cliff, which was not visible from the top, and only emerged from the waves when the tide was low.  If Elendur had been as inept as he was just months ago, the older man could have drowned waiting for him, the son of Isildur thought.

“I have been hearing you trample down the rocks and breathe loudly ever since you left the path. If I was an enemy, I would have fled long ago.”

“How? Swimming?” Elendur snorted, too exhilarated by his victory to allow Tal Elmar’s rebuke to affect him. “You do not know how to swim!”

The barbarian did not bother replying to this.

“It is not enough to know how to follow a trail. You must also learn to do so without alerting your quarry of your presence. Whether it is a man or a beast, all their senses will be trained to detect immediately if anyone is following them.”

“Well, one thing at a time.” Elendur sat on the sand, giving Tal Elmar a winning smile. “Next time, I promise I will make sure that my sword is at your throat before you can notice me.”

“When I was your age…”

“… you already knew everything there was to be known about life. But that’s not fair. How long do your people live when they do not have Númenórean blood? Thirty years?”

“Longer than you will survive in the mainland if you do not listen to me.”

“Grandfather is against this, you know. He says I should not be wasting my time learning barbaric skills such as ambushing and hunting people as if they were animals. Númenóreans do not fight like that.”

“Númenóreans do not fight like that now. But when their great armies, their high citadels and proud cities are gone, when the Forest People and Desert People and Easterlings no longer gaze at the Sea in fear, looking for sails in the horizon, you will do what you must to survive.”

“Father has no great armies, no high citadels or proud cities, and if he saw a Númenórean fleet in the horizon, it would be worse news for him than for the wild men. And yet he holds the North, and he has always prevailed against his enemies.”

Tal Elmar did not even blink at this argument.

“Perhaps you should ask him how he has managed this feat. His insight might be different from your grandfather’s.” His gaze was lost in the horizon now, in the direction of his old homeland. Elendur wondered if he ever missed it. Once or twice, when he was younger, the boy had gathered enough of his courage to ask, and Tal Elmar’s reply was always the same: there was nothing left for him beyond the Sea. His father and mother were dead, his brothers had wanted to kill him, and Isildur had destroyed them all. His loyalty was only for Isildur, and this meant that he would be where Isildur wanted him to be, and nowhere else. It seemed very simple, and yet Elendur somehow could not quite manage to wrap his head around it.

“You mean that… he knows all these things, too?”

“Of course he knows all these things. They have saved his life countless times. But, if you think we are wasting our time here…”

“No!” Elendur shook his head. “I wasn’t saying that! Look, if I thought I was wasting my time, would I be here?”

It was a winning argument, and yet Elendur had to admit it was also a little disingenuous. The real truth was that he was here because he wanted to be - because he liked it here. The thrill that crossed his spine when he hunted, when he learned to recognize the signs, the pride he felt when he did something well, or found something new, could not compare with the boring lessons his family wanted him to learn, which trickled away from his mind as water from a sieve. Their attitude towards him – whether it was the frequent disapproval of his elders, the mockery of Findis, or even the inane, meaningless praise of a mother who would celebrate him for tying his shoelaces- had never made enough of a dent on him to care about impressing or disappointing them. But Tal Elmar was different. He was the one who knew Father best, and the only one from whose lips Elendur could hear Isildur’s words coming out. Therefore, being good enough in his eyes was the only thing that truly mattered, whether it was at tracking, hunting, fighting, standing on his head or breathing underwater.

Something of this must have been apparent in the youngster’s expression, because Tal Elmar relented. He nodded gravely and stood up, just in time to retreat from a wave that would have engulfed their feet.

“You did well enough, for the time being. You will do better in the future, perhaps better than your father, since you are younger than he was when he started learning these skills.”

Elendur smiled. It was scant as far as compliments went, but that was just the way it had been since he was old enough to remember.

“But never better than you, because I am a Númenórean oaf”, he finished. This time, Tal Elmar smiled as well. As he drew closer to him, Elendur suddenly grew conscious of the fact that he had already become his equal in height. At nearly seventeen, the Sea People were still quite far from their full maturity, and for a moment he allowed himself to contemplate a thrilling future where he towered over the barbarian.

“Height is not always an advantage”, Tal Elmar reminded him, easily guessing his thoughts. Elendur moved aside for the wave that swept across almost the full distance of the small beach, and grinned.

“It makes you the last to drown. And speaking of drowning, we might still drown here, if we stay much longer.”

While they climbed the rocks in search of the way back to the path, Elendur was determined not to embarrass himself by slipping or falling. To be sure-footed and agile was another of the skills Tal Elmar had impressed upon him since a young age, and he was quite proud of his balance. Still, by the time they were halfway across the distance they had to cover, Elendur realized that to remain on his two feet was no longer the sole objective.

“The Sea is loud enough, and still, I am hearing you”, the barbarian scolded, when Elendur jumped across a rather wide crevice. “Go back and try again.”

“But…”

“It is very important that you are not heard.” And there was no arguing with Tal Elmar when there was something stuck in his head.

On the second attempt, Elendur discovered that he only had to freeze in his tracks, and wait until the larger waves broke against the rocks in order to move, as the ruckus they made had the ability to drown any noise he made. After he managed it, he tried not to look too cheeky, wondering if Tal Elmar would accept his little subterfuge. To his surprise and relief, he did.

“Your surroundings are your allies. If there is a tree, you can hide behind it. If there is bare rock, you can use it to hide your traces. If the Sea makes noise, it can drown the sounds you make, if you use it wisely”, he nodded. Before Elendur could feel too proud of himself, however, his forehead curved into a frown. “But remember: in Middle-Earth there are vast extensions of land whose inhabitants have never heard the Sea. In the heart of a silent forest, any twig you step on, any breath you take through your mouth instead of your nose, will be like a thunderclap, alerting everyone of your presence.”

That is ridiculous. Elendur could almost imagine Grandfather’s frown of puzzlement, and his head shaking in disapproval. Who would you need to hide from? Are you planning on becoming a bandit, to hide in the wilderness? And yet, according to Tal Elmar, his father had hidden, and this had saved his life in the past.

“May I go on, then?” he asked, shrugging those thoughts away as if they were some distracting insect. Tal Elmar looked down, the frown still on his features, but now it looked more thoughtful than reproachful.

“Yes, you may.” His lips curved into a smile, unexpected and a little strange. “That is more than enough Forest People wisdom for today. Now, it is time to go up there and learn how to be a Númenórean.”

To think a Númenórean might find that a little easier, Elendur mused wryly, pushing his body up behind him until he reached the path, only to realize that he had managed to ruin yet another pair of shoes.

 

*     *       *     *     *

 

The fleet was finished. On this month, every shipyard in Forostar had stopped its production, and now each of them kept its own squadron of ships secure in the stone embrace of the artificial bays built to protect them from the storms raised by the Valar. Further care had been employed to tie them securely, with strong ropes and iron chains, to prevent a repetition of the disaster that struck the Main Shipyard in the early days of its service. Ar Pharazôn would not leave anything to chance anymore, for he was no longer the golden ruler blessed with divine luck, but the enemy of invisible agents who could use their mysterious powers to twist the elements and foil his plans.

That was why, for the last years, he had also allocated a substantial amount of the resources at his disposition to the task of fortifying the Island. Citadels and watchtowers had been built in strategic locations of the North and Western coasts, to stand in vigilance of the enemy and intercept their spies. And yet, none of the soldiers who manned them had reported signs of life in the horizon. Plagues, disasters and strange weather were all they seemed inclined to muster, which so far had done nothing to weaken the King’s resolve. Not even the downfall of those who invoked their name and expected their help seemed to have angered them enough to alter their strategy - or perhaps the sufferings of those people were just too human to cross the invisible line drawn across the solitary expanse of the Western Sea.

Gimilzagar could not comprehend how Men could worship gods who did not listen to their pleas; gods for whom they meant nothing. They were like the dog who starved while awaiting the return of a master who had abandoned it long ago. He remembered that Baalim-worshipper he had saved in Andúnië, how his heart had been hardened by his folly to the point of preferring his wife, his kin and their children to die horrible deaths rather than saying the word Gimilzagar needed him to say. This had been his second encounter with this particular brand of madness: the first had been in the cliffs of Rómenna, when three fishermen’s sons had tried to kill him. But in the last years, he had seen many more instances, too many for his nerves to bear. And he hated them for it, all the more because the heaviness of his heart kept increasing day after day, and he had no one to unburden it with. Fíriel loved him, but despite all claims to the contrary, they were still her people, and her guilt for being in the wrong side had kept growing with each and every death until it threatened to choke the air they both breathed. That was why he could not ask her if she knew what they were trying to accomplish; or what did they expect that would happen after all the blood had gurgled out of their still palpitating chest and their body was consumed by the flames. From what Gimilzagar himself had heard, the teachings of the Elves said that not even the Baalim knew where Men went after they died. Was a futile death, followed by an uncertain afterlife better than the alternative, than any alternative? Gimilzagar’s death would not be nearly as futile, and yet he would be too afraid to die.

Having morbid thoughts again? Pharazôn would chide him if he heard him speak those thoughts aloud, no longer with the cold disdain he had exhibited towards his son in a past that now looked more and more like a dream. By the Great Deliverer, son, you are not killing these people. They want to die, and there is not a single one among them who would not be granted their wish if you were not here.

That was true enough, Gimilzagar had to admit. People would still die as long as there was a Zigûr to claim that those sacrifices were necessary, a Númenor to subdue the tribes and kingdoms of the barbarians, or fools who rebelled in vain. And as long as there was an Ar Pharazôn to protect Zigûr, conquer the world, and outlaw those who did not share his vision of Men rising above the gods.

He is your father, Fíriel had said the last time he saw her, when they fought on the morning of his departure. You did not need any excuses to save his life. Gimilzagar had fled her quarters like a coward, but it had not been as easy to outrun her words. She still knew him too well for comfort, and suspected what lay underneath his most carefully chosen words and expressions, even underneath the surface of his conscious mind.

“My lord prince.” His voice was very polite, and seemingly unobtrusive, and yet somehow, Gimilzagar always felt as if disrupted his thoughts in the worst possible moment. Or rather, as if there could be no good moment for his interruption.

“What is it, Lord Zigûr?” he asked, not bothering to hide his distaste. The slippery demon had found himself in a precarious position just a few years ago, in the aftermath of the assassination attempt, but he had managed to regain his footing soon enough, like vermin always found another hole to creep inside a house after the first one was blocked. Even now, Gimilzagar could not help but wonder if there was something he could have done to prevent the King from relying on him again and listening to his lies. But, while he was still lying on his sickbed, struggling with the feverish visions which assaulted him after the incident, the High Priest of Melkor had already been at work, searching the assassin’s mind for the evidence that best supported his own designs. And Ûriphel’s, he added belatedly, remembering how his loving wife would have implicated Fíriel in the plot if the Queen had not warned him in time of their plans. Still, though Gimilzagar had been able to protect her, the long shadow this whole business had cast upon the loyalty of the Baalim-worshippers had remained hanging over her head since then, making her existence even more precarious and difficult.

“And I must say she has done little to dispel those suspicions, my lord”, Zigûr said, his eyes smiling even though his mouth was not. Gimilzagar knew better than to try to penetrate his thoughts, but he still flinched from the black hole of nothingness that touched his mind for an instant as it instinctively retreated.

“Is there a reason why you are here?” he retorted, in an attempt to hide his disarray.

“Of course, my lord prince. I would not dream of bothering you without a reason”, the High Priest replied smoothly. “I came to inform you that the inspection tour has been delayed, as the King is –otherwise occupied. He has decided to return to Armenelos tonight.”

“What? What happened?” The King would not change any plans he had made unless it was for something important.

“Regretfully, I have no time to report to you, as he wishes to see both of us straight away”, Zigûr replied, as if he truly regretted denying Gimilzagar an information that might help him prepare for a difficult conversation. But Gimilzagar was determined not to let his anger show.

“Let us go, then.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Ar Pharazôn was not in a good mood. He was pacing across the room, something he had been doing less and less frequently over the last years, Gimilzagar suspected that because he no longer had an excess of energy that he needed to spend in order for his restlessness to abate. Today, however, sheer frustration seemed to have lent him renewed forces.

“What happened, my lord King?” Gimilzagar inquired, detecting that the news had nothing to do with the Palace, and that it was safe for him to ask. Pharazôn stopped in his tracks for a moment, and fixed him with his glance.

“I just received word from the mainland. The rebels of Rhûn have taken the capital. According to the report, they have entered the Palace, captured the Emperor and sacrificed him together with his heirs. San has proclaimed himself Emperor, picked the fairest daughter of his predecessor to be his Empress, and informed all his new subjects that he requests a tribute of Númenóreans. Those who do not bring him Númenóreans will be treated as his enemies.” The words had been spoken in a rather deceptive calm tone, though Gimilzagar could feel the rage simmering underneath.

“A bold man!” Zigûr remarked, risking to unleash this wrath. “He is not afraid to turn the world upside down, and have the hunters hunted. It is unfortunate for him that this boldness is not accompanied by a deeper understanding.”

“A deeper understanding of what, Zigûr?” Ar Pharazôn hissed. “Of war? He seems to understand that well enough. Of politics? Of how to win people’s hearts and make them believe that he is a descendant of their gods, raised to save them from their oppressors? He understands that, too.”

“They say he claims that you are dead. That all those legends about you being a god are nothing but lies, told by the Númenóreans to frighten them into submission. And he also believes that his victories mean that Númenor is no longer powerful”, Zigûr recollected. “All those are signs that he misunderstands the situation most grievously. For you are alive, and the only reason why he has been able to gather so much power is that your gaze is set elsewhere for the time being. On a prize compared to which his great kingdom is but a handful of dirt.” His lips curved into an unpleasant smile. “And once this prize is yours, you will march against him, and none of his false claims will save his life.”

Ar Pharazôn did not smile with him.

“I can do that right now.” Gimilzagar’s eyes widened, but Zigûr remained almost infuriatingly calm.

“That would be most unwise. The most powerful king in the world cannot fight a war on two fronts. And this barbarian may be a common enemy, but the Baalim are not. For all those years, you have been preparing to face them, and your preparations are almost complete. You have pulled away many of your troops from the mainland by now, deciding to risk the lesser wins to achieve the greater victory.”

“If I allow such a blatant challenge to the authority of the Númenórean Sceptre to go unanswered, the whole mainland will revolt! And if they think I am dead…” The King grimaced, as if the very word was intolerable to him. “I have to go in person to show them that I live.”

“And you will! Once the Baalim are defeated, you will not only be able to show them that you live, but that you will do so forever.” Pretending to be at a loss, Zigûr turned towards Gimilzagar, who was listening to their conversation in silence. “My lord prince, please help me. Wouldn’t it be foolish to risk a mortal life in vain, just before crossing the long-awaited gates of immortality?”

The Prince of the West swallowed, wondering what to say. A part of him wanted to scream at his father to gather himself together, and stop listening to this demon. Before it gained the upper hand, however, his mind was invaded by a sudden vision of the King of Númenor lying on a faraway battlefield, his life bleeding away from his many wounds. He shivered.

“I… I do not know”, he blubbered. He cringed at how pathetic and cowardly he sounded.

“You must excuse the Prince”, Zigûr smiled, laying a very unwelcome hand on his shoulder. “He is overwhelmed by his concern for you.”

“Enough!” Pharazôn hissed. “I do not wish to listen to any of you right now. Leave!”

The grip on his shoulder increased, and slowly, the Prince found himself manoeuvred towards the exit.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“We were not expecting you so early.” Ûriphel’s features looked like a vivid picture of genuine worry. “What happened?”

“The King has urgent business to attend to”, Gimilzagar replied, doing an effort to sound both unconcerned about his news and perfectly polite. As usual, his objectives were made more complicated by the negative feelings that this woman’s presence evoked on him. Sometimes, when he looked at her, he thought he could almost see the girl who had not known how to hide her disappointment, the one he had pitied. But she had rejected his pity, and chosen Zigûr instead. Now, an insidious poison ran across her veins, and he had learned long ago that any weakness he betrayed before her would be used against him. “There is a situation in Rhûn, but it is nothing that should concern you unduly.”

“A barbarian challenged him to a pissing contest”, Ar Zimraphel retorted, rather more crudely. Of course, she already knew everything. “And now, Ar Pharazôn the Golden is trying to decide if he is more attached to his life or to his pride.”

Ûriphel’s eyes widened just a little.

“Do not worry, my lady. Whatever the situation is, I am sure that Lord Zigûr will advise him well. The wisdom of the Lord is with him.”

“Oh, I have no doubt about that”, the Queen replied, her voice as cold as it was in all her dealings with her daughter-in-law. “Still, I am concerned about the Númenóreans who are in danger in the mainland. Perhaps you should go and pray for them”, she suggested. And then, furrowing her brow in an imperious gesture that made it impossible to mistake her words for a mere request, “Go.”

After the Princess had departed, Gimilzagar expected his mother to speak, but she remained absorbed by her own thoughts. Finally, he was the one who broke the silence.

“He will abandon Rhûn to its fate. Won’t he?”

Ar Zimraphel’s lips curved in a faint, vaguely reproachful smile.

“After all these years, you should know your father better than that! For all his life, he has believed himself to be undefeatable, and he will not allow the world to think otherwise.” He was about to open his mouth again, but she beat him to it. “That does not mean he will be rash enough to ride at the head of his troops to the rescue. Zigûr will be able to convince him of that much. He needs him safe and sound to drive a spear against the heart of the gods who once banished him. Isn’t it ironic? The Golden King will believe he has mastered his pride by remaining in the Island, while in fact he is saving himself to be the puppet that avenges the pride of another.”

“I saw him lying on a battlefield in Rhûn.” Gimilzagar could not keep it to himself any longer. “Just as I saw him lying in a pool of blood at the assassin’s feet years ago. And… my conscience keeps screaming that this is where he should be.”

To his surprise, Zimraphel’s smile only grew warmer.

“That is only fitting, Gimilzagar. For a very long time, your father’s conscience screamed that you should have been under the Meneltarma, a child born dead and embalmed among his ancestors. Deep inside, your soul recognizes this debt, and acts in consequence.” As she became aware of the pallor in her son’s features, she reached for his hand and caressed it. “The cruellest thing of all is that death in battle, even death by a traitor’s hand, would be a kinder fate than the terrible curse of immortality.”

Gimilzagar tried to swallow, but his throat had grown as dry as paper.

“Is he…will he achieve his purpose, then? Will he become… immortal?”

He did not truly expect Ar Zimraphel to answer his question. In his life, he had learned that when someone, anyone, dared to pursue a knowledge that she considered forbidden for mortals, she would fall silent, and no King, demon, priest or beloved son would be able to extract a word from her lips. Even when she sat before him, and her skin felt warm against his, she could appear as remote as any of the Baalim who hid in their island beyond the last edge of the world.

“Oh, yes” she sighed, suddenly looking sadder and older than Gimilzagar had ever seen her. “He will.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil stood watching the Sea. From his vantage point, he could distinguish the dark sails standing in formation, headed for the distant shores of Middle-Earth. They were rather few, as the Sceptre did not have too many ships or men to send East while its eye was fixed in the West, but he had heard reports of how the King intended to remedy this problem, and the news had added fresh worries to an already full heart. At first, the King had only given orders for new troops to be forcefully recruited in both Arne and Harad, something which might not be harmful for the interests of the Faithful on the long run. If Anárion played his cards well, he could even make the resulting discontent work to their advantage. But then, Ar Pharazôn had also decreed that the Middle Havens garrison was to be abandoned and dismantled. Every soldier guarding the timber corridor would be pulled out from the North and sent East, a core of experienced veterans to keep the barbarian auxiliaries in check. The reason cited had been the exhaustion of the main resource of the area, which rendered its control useless, but Amandil knew better.

I believe you will have many people to ferry across the Great Sea now. Do you have enough ships for all of them? And, what about your lands and resources in the barbarian North? Can you keep feeding and housing them all when they arrive in droves, and protect them from the retaliation of the natives?, the King had asked on that last, fateful interview, days before his soldiers appeared in Rómenna to change their lives for ever. He had wanted to make sure that Amandil understood that, no matter how far his people went, they would never be able to escape their fate. That they would always be tracked, always in danger in a hostile world.

Now, he had found a way to make the threat come true. Ar Pharazôn had always possessed a remarkable ability to turn the worst possible situation to his own advantage, and, this time, his little war with that barbarian from Rhûn had provided him with an opportunity to destroy the Faithful exiles on the mainland.

It made sense, the lord of Andúnië admitted, considering the strategy from a place of cold detachment he was growing increasingly unable to shake himself from. For years, they had been forced to leave the Island, one after another: the peasants whose hands had never held anything but a shovel, the defenceless women, the small children who stared wide-eyed and scared at unfamiliar surroundings. All those weak, useless mouths had been ferried across the Sea, where they needed to be protected and fed from crops grown in the Forest People’s ancestral lands. Isildur’s victories and his ragtag army, improvised from mercenaries and trained settlers, had lured them into a sense of security, but without the Southern frontier, and the line of Númenórean outposts preventing the Northern Forest People from joining hands with their southern cousins, this situation could change very drastically and very soon. Every Númenórean had heard stories about the fearful brotherhoods of wild men, sworn to kill all the Sea People they encountered and drink their blood. Regardless of the outcome of Pharazôn’s wars in the far East, Amandil’s visions of escape and deliverance could turn into visions of death, a trap he had blindly led other people into when he decided to believe that the forces sending him those dreams had any concern for their wellbeing.

“Do not worry, Father”, a voice spoke behind him. Amandil winced at its sound: he was not in the mood to listen to Elendil right now. “Things can still turn out well.”

“Oh. I did not know you possessed foresight”, he spat, his tone sarcastic. His son did not flinch.

“You will remember that I had many misgivings about Isildur’s actions in the North, Father. I did not approve of his methods, and believed that you were wrong to put him in charge of all our operations.” Amandil merely nodded, wondering where this was going. “Well, as it turns out, Isildur is the only one who could possibly hold the North against our enemies now, and protect the settlers. I do not possess foresight, Father, but you do, and this might have been an instance of it.”

The lord of Andúnië shook his head in incredulity. The last years had been witness to a constant war between his own, bleak view of their future and his son’s attempts to dispel the darkness from his mind, as useless as Amandil’s efforts to change the fate of the Island and save his people. But unlike him, Elendil never gave up.

That was no foresight, you fool, he wanted to say, though, once again, his mouth did not let the words through. It was the knowledge of the inevitability of war and death, the knowledge that, for us to survive, others would have to die. But we are no better than the Forest People, in the end, and there is no reason why Heaven should watch over us and help us triumph over them. If every Númenórean should die, if every vestige of our civilization was obliterated, the world of Men would go on, and no higher being would shed a tear.

“Isildur is a brave and experienced commander”, he said instead, “but the forces he commands are too few.”

“In the last years, they have been increased by the recruiting and training of new settlers. He has even incorporated some of the most loyal Forest Men to his forces, and they have instructed the Númenóreans in the forms of warfare employed by their people.”

Amandil shrugged. Of late, he rarely touched the Seeing Stones: Elendil, even Irimë, had taken over most of his tasks, so he was less informed about the details. But he was not surprised that Isildur would be open to barbarizing his army, as even Amandil could realize that his eldest grandson was becoming more and more of a hybrid between a Númenórean and a barbarian the longer he spent on the mainland – and, of course, the longer he was friends with Tal Elmar. His own son, Elendur, had been raised to be familiar with the usages of the mainland savages, often to the dismay of Elendil himself. Amandil was no longer bothered by such considerations, for he knew well enough that, if they were ever going to survive in some form, they would no longer be Númenóreans, Islanders, or Sea People. Isildur had never been judged the wisest or cleverest in their household, but he had been the first to see this truth.

If only it could be enough.

“Perhaps you are right”, he conceded, more to put an end to this useless conversation than anything else. Elendil was too perceptive to fall for this, and yet, for some reason, he chose not to challenge it.

“Ar Pharazôn is struggling to keep control of the mainland. Those setbacks in Rhûn must have wounded his pride, and I do not think the armies he has sent will be enough to contain the spark of rebellion which has been kindled there”, he said instead. “In the end, if he suffers a defeat, this will only harden his resolve to attack the West. I believe the attack on Valinor is near, and we must be prepared for it when it comes.”

We. Amandil could not help but smile wryly at the choice of words, but once again, he did not give voice to the thoughts in his mind.

“I need to be alone for a while”, he said instead, blinking away the radiance from the sun’s reflection on the surface of the water. Elendil bowed. Amandil was not looking at him directly, so he could not see the expression in his eyes, but he could imagine his son’s concern, growing and growing until it reached a point where even his unshakeable prudence would no longer be able to contain it.

“I will leave you to your thoughts then, Father”, he said

Power Vacuum

Read Power Vacuum

Isildur stood before the ruin of the ancient gate, evaluating the mass of cinders and rubble with a critical eye. This one looked in a worse state than the previous, he thought, doing his best not to appear discouraged in front of his men. The garrison who lived here had disposed of more time to dismantle the fort before their departure, or they had simply been more thorough in their endeavours. Whatever the case was, Isildur felt strongly tempted to shrug it off as a lost case and move on, and only his sense of duty prevented him from doing so. This was a key location, controlling one of the most important passes which connected the South with the North. To leave it undefended would be like leaving the back door of a house wide open.

“Well, at least they did not tear off the foundations”, Captain Abrazân joked humourlessly.

“No, they only have to be dug out from all that rubble.”

“And put all those stones atop other stones again? There is no time and no men for that backbreaking Númenórean work”, Ulmer objected, a grimace crossing his sallow features.

“Númenórean work? Ha!” His half-brother laughed. “Númenóreans never do their own work. I bet it was the Southern folk from the Middle Havens who toiled and broke their backs here.”

“And now, they are the ones who will tear down all that is left when they come our way seeking revenge”, Abrazan retorted. “And don’t you look at me like that, because it is your problem, too! They will kill your tribesmen and rape your women, and your head will be on a pike right next to mine.”

“No one’s head will be on a pike if we do not lose them now”, Isildur interrupted the bickering. “There are four of the ten fortifications in this area which are absolutely essential, and this is one of them. The other six, we will abandon. If the foundations are damaged, stones will be reused to repair them, but we do not have time to build in stone. We will use timber, and hope that your Southern cousins have not learned advanced besieging strategy from the Númenóreans.”

He had long ago mastered the simple commanding ability of making things sound easy, but he had to admit that, this time, the devastation around him did much to undermine his case. When he looked into the eyes of his men, there was still considerable doubt lurking there.

“And where will we find the manpower for that? Will the Númenóreans do their own work this time, or will they leave us to it?”

Isildur’s gaze hardened.

“This work does not benefit the Númenóreans alone. Just as Abrazan said, you have as little interest in meeting our unwelcome guests as we are. So you will do your part, or we will take all our people, put them in ships, and take them North to the land of the Elves, where we alone are allowed to go.”

Ulmer looked as if he would have wanted to argue this point, but prudence seemed to win the struggle, and he looked down. None of the Forest Men, whatever tribe they may hail from, made a habitude of arguing with someone who could defeat them in battle. They preferred to wait until the tide turned to betray them without a word of warning.

“We would be glad to send men, my lord” he said, changing tack. “But we do not have many warriors, and they live scattered.”

“You should be more grateful for our protection. “Abrazan knew better about the situation of the Faithful to believe in Isildur’s Elven bluff – even if their slippery friends agreed to take in thousands of mouths into their kingdom at once, and even if the colonists were willing to abandon what had been their home for decades, the houses they had built and the fields where they had toiled to throw themselves at the mercy of some immortal, the evacuation would prove a long process, and building the ships they needed just as laborious as rebuilding those forts. Above all, Isildur would rather have his own head on a pike than give up everything he had fought for to become a refugee, begging scraps off somebody else’s table. His men knew this, and all of them, both the Faithful fighters who had been forced to abandon the Island like cowards and the rootless mercenaries who had finally found themselves with a piece of the world they could call their own, were of a like mind. Even Abrazan, though of course that did not prevent him from running ahead with his bullshit in front of the barbarians. “If we were not here defending this region, the hordes from the South would fall upon you, and you would never stand a chance against them. But we have generously put our advanced weaponry, our knowledge of strategic warfare and our engineering at your disposition, so you can live in peace and raise your children in a world where you do not have to sleep with a hand on their foreheads and the other on your knives. After we get you out of this crisis alive, I hope you will remember this and stop begrudging us every small thing we ask, as if you were a vendor bartering for his wares in the fishmarket.”

This time, Ulmer was going to open his mouth, but to Isildur’s surprise, it was his half-brother who stepped forward to interrupt him.

“Allies do not begrudge their allies, and we will not begrudge you. We will fulfil the oaths we swore.”

“Good.” Isildur nodded. “Let us start working on this one as soon as we can, then. I have a hunch that they will be coming this way first.” And if their defences did not hold before the first assault, it would be even more difficult to keep the loyalty of their allies than it was now, he thought wryly. They might not belong to the same tribes, recognize their kinship or even speak the same language, but a bunch of severed Númenórean heads might go a long way towards earning them goodwill and buying a reprieve from the rape and plunder. “You are in charge of this outpost, Abrazan. Be nice to our allies. And keep them under tight surveillance” he added, in a much lower tone which the others could not overhear. Then, his voice rose again, and he nodded at them. “Their friendship is very important to us.”

The two barbarians bowed low.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The Arnians had a curious way of eating a formal meal, which had stumped Anárion back when he set foot on their land. While they were seated around the table, there was always a person they took their cues from, and this chosen one decided when they would start eating, when they would finish, how much they would drink or even which dishes would leave the table untouched. The first time he had been faced with this arrangement, no one had told him that, as the guest of honour, such responsibilities fell to him, and nobody would eat a bite from their plates until he did so. For a long time, he had stared at the others across the table, unsure of what to do, until hunger made him bold. To his surprise, the moment he scooped up some pickled vegetable from the side of the dish, everybody had promptly fallen upon the food like a flock of birds upon spilled grain.

This had been just an anecdote, and yet, for Anárion, it stood as a symbol of how much he still had to learn about this strange, fascinating people – and how positive the fruits could be once he touched upon the right note. Up North, the tribes they had met had their habits and their time-honoured traditions, but they were coarse and primitive, and learning them had largely remained an unrewarded effort. At the end of the day, no matter how well he spoke their language, participated in their rites or strove not to offend their chiefs, they only put up with the Númenóreans because the people from the Sea had strong walls and better swords. Isildur had taught him this truth long ago, and Anárion had promised himself that he would not forget it.

Here, however, everything was different. Arne was a civilized kingdom, full of complicated customs that were no less refined for being unintelligible to Númenóreans. Many Islanders had been mystified by this throughout the centuries, and, since they did not enjoy being made to look like uncouth fools, they had simply dismissed their oldest allies as ridiculous barbarians who tried to be Númenóreans but went the wrong way about it. There were myths among the nobility which seemed to support this impression, like the one that made their royal family descend from a Númenórean prince who had fallen in love with an Arnian woman. But a closest look at a history full of brother and sister incest, scheming queens, and kings with rather ambiguous foreign policies was enough to realize that things had always been far more complex than that.

This had been the key to Elendil’s success here, as Anárion had soon discovered. He had been the first of the governors appointed by the Sceptre after the line of their Kings failed, and, so far, the only one who had been interested in more than just keeping them from revolting. He had won over the common people when he rode to meet the hosts of Mordor who had devastated the eastern lands, and the nobility when he ‘convinced’ Ar Pharazôn not to take away the Arnian military and leave their country defenceless. And though he had made controversial decisions, especially when it came to trade agreements, he had debated with them on their own terms, never offending them or calling them barbarians, and remaining unfailingly polite to all.

Still, even this would not have been enough to turn Elendil into an Arnian hero, if it had not been for the inestimable help of his successors, Anárion thought. All the men appointed by Ar Pharazôn for the post had been generals, just as it had happened in the North and Northwest of the Island itself, for the King was famous for his inability to trust anyone who had not marched under the standards of Númenor. Those men had been ignorant of Arnian customs, and they had not been exactly eager to learn. The first had soon found himself with a conspiracy hatched right underneath his nose; the second and third, with popular revolts, and right now, the fourth seemed to think that doubling the taxes to buy mercenaries in Pelargir and replace his dwindling supply of soldiers would save him from the hatred of all those who had seen their fathers, brothers and sons be taken to the farthest edge of the world to die for a tyrant’s pride.

At this point, even the relationship with the Merchant Princes of Pelargir, who for a long time had acted as the true interlocutors of the nobility and kept them contented with their advantageous deals, had started to turn sour. Those slippery merchants’ flair for navigating delicate situations and make profit from them was proving insufficient to withstand the considerable strain of Arne’s relations with the Númenórean Sceptre. Irimë was of the opinion that Númenóreans had unrealistic expectations about the ability of the Arnian nobles to control their people, a people who had seen them humiliate themselves over and over and sell their kingdom in exchange for trinkets. And if their symbolic power had dwindled, so had their military power, broken after decades of oppression and finished off with the departure of their bravest and their best for Rhûn. Under those circumstances, the new business opportunity the Merchant Princes had found in training fighters and selling them to the Governor had had devastating effects, and increasing numbers of nobles were becoming reluctant to be seen in bed with those who furnished the means to kill their own people.

Such as this Lord Xanos, he thought, observing again the man who had offered him his hospitality in defiance of his former partners in business. He was a middle-aged man, tall for the standards of his people, and though the robes he wore would be perceived as gaudy in the Court of Armenelos, Anárion knew that every pattern and every colour had a distinct meaning. His table was fit for a king, full of delicacies brought from the farthest corner of the mainland, and even a few specialties brought by sea from the Island, among them an elaborate fish sauce Anárion was certain that Grandfather could no longer afford. He was reclining nonchalantly on an elongated seat, propped on silk cushions, and while Anárion had been lost in his musings, he had abstained from touching the unfinished food in his own plate, just in case his guest claimed to be no longer hungry or wished for the next course to be brought.

“This is very good, Lord Xanos”, he nodded, taking another bite. “I will be sure to inform my father of your kind hospitality.”

The Arnian smiled.

“I shall be very honoured. My noble father used to tell me how, in his youth, he used to have the Lord Elendil here for dinner, and how he enjoyed our fish sauce with quail eggs. I was an impressionable child back then, and somehow this story was stuck on my mind. Perhaps destiny meant me to entertain you as a guest.”

Anárion nodded gravely. For him, who had known his father for so many years, the strangeness of hearing this people talk about him as if he was a legend of old would never abate.

“That is a sign that destiny will look favourably upon our endeavours” he said, in a sententious tone which only important people felt entitled to use. His companion awarded this an elegant bow.

“Oh, I am quite certain of that. The number of our friends keeps growing at each passing day, and each and every one of them is ready for action.”

“That is wonderful news, but we must be very prudent at this stage.” Anárion drank a sip from the delicate crystal cup laid in front of him. This was the greatest difference between Númenóreans and barbarians, no matter how civilized those might be: impatience. “If we make a move before the King sails West, the loss of lives would not be worth it. We have to be patient, and wait for the right moment.”

“Of course, the Lord Elendil will be the only judge of that.” Xanos gave him a second bow. “I was merely commenting upon our ability to act if it was required. Still, perhaps I should tell you that, in Arne, it is unfortunately very frequent for someone to give away a conspiracy under duress. The more people know about this, the greater the chances are that the Governor will grow suspicious.”

“We will take that under consideration.” Anárion had already heard the same advice from several of his interlocutors, and he had passed it over to his father in the Island. Despite the risks involved, however, everybody in the house of Andúnië had agreed that it would be folly to try anything before Ar Pharazôn sailed away.

“Your Governor believes that the King of the Númenóreans will come back from his expedition turned into a god, and that he will destroy all those who have revolted against his authority” the Arnian remarked, signalling to the servants to bring the next course after it became obvious that Anárion had given up on this one. “Or so he says. I think he is simply scared of the fate that might befall him once the King is gone.”

The son of Elendil watched the plate being pulled before him –raw oysters in some sort of reddish sauce- but made no move to pick any of them. Once they were full to bursting, guests needed to reject no less than five dishes before they stopped bringing any more.

“Do you think he is bluffing when he claims there is a land to the West that can give him immortality?” His previous host, Xanos’ cousin, had said this to Anárion one night, after drinking too much wine. He had been laughing when he did so, but, to Anárion’s surprise, Xanos did not laugh.

“No. I think he is a sinner, and that the Lords of the West will smite him down before he sets foot on their Blessed Land.”

“Oh.” He had been staying in this house for almost two weeks, and though they had spoken of many things, half of them treasonous, it was the first time that Anárion had an inkling that his host did not follow the traditional Arnian religion. “Are you, by chance, one of the Faithful, Lord Xanos?”

For some reason, the same man who had conspired with him without batting an eye looked very troubled at this. He gazed at the oysters in his own plate, suddenly reluctant to meet Anárion’s gaze.

“There are… some things about me which are not widely known, Lord Anárion. And if they were, I – well, let us say that the credit I enjoy among my peers would suffer.” Little by little, his reluctance turned into determination, and he looked up again. “But you are not one of my peers. You are the son of Lord Elendil, and you would understand.”

“If you reverence the Valar, there is nothing I could possibly object to that, Lord Xanos”, Anárion replied, hiding his puzzlement. “For so does my family, and so they have been doing for generations, even in the face of persecutions and hardships.”

“I know.” The Arnian nodded ponderously, then frowned, as if looking for the best way to put something. “But in my case, that is not all. As you may have noticed, to worship the Lords of the West is not an ancient family tradition for me. And it is not a custom rooted in the history and lore of my people, either.” He raised his glance, as if he had come to a decision. “Would you come with me, Lord Anárion? I would wish you to meet someone.”

“Of course.” Anárion stood up with his guest, wondering where could all this be headed. To his further surprise, he was ushered towards a part of the house where he had never been before, despite his status as guest of honour. As he was led through a beautiful arch made in gold-painted wood, he recognized Mother’s descriptions of a similar gateway giving access to the Women’s Palace where she used to live. Of course, every noble mansion must have one.

Inside, they encountered several women, which was a rare sight, for there had been none in the places where Anárion had stayed before. One led them into a tiled parlour, where she had them sit before a low table while refreshments were brought. His host was oddly pensive, his fingers twirling on his cup in nervous motions, but instinct told Anárion that it was not a moment for small talk.

Finally, after what seemed like a really long time, the woman who had escorted them to this place re-emerged from the doorstep, and bowed low.

“The Lady is here”, she announced. Xanos put the cup back on the table; Anárion followed his example just in time to see an elegantly-dressed woman enter the room. She was wearing a shining, gossamer Arnian veil, like those that his sister Ilmarë used to dislike so much. But unlike the ones his sister had worn in her youth, it did not cover her face, probably because they were in her territory now, he deduced. Underneath it, her hair was raven black, long and thick. Her eyes were black, too, and there was something hauntingly non-Arnian about her features, a hint of darkness that made him think of much farther South, though mixed with something else. Something –familiar.

Her eyes widened when she saw him, and she covered her mouth with her hand to hide a theatrical gasp.

“Lord –Lord Anárion!”

The sound of her voice brought half-buried memories rushing back into his mind. He recalled that first trip across the Great Sea, when he and his brother had shared their ship with a family of refugees fleeing the Island after the cruel death of their son, the Prince of the West’s would-be murderer. Anárion remembered his surprise at how, despite the danger that haunted their steps and the grief of their loss, those people seemed to find the time and heart to bicker about the most inappropriate things. Their teenage daughter, whose Haradric blood had blessed her with a fully-developed womanly form at an early age, had the whole crew in an uproar, and her mother had forbidden her from leaving the cabin. The sound of their fights had kept Anárion awake more than once, and after they left them in Pelargir under Abanazer’s protection, Isildur had remarked that even the influential merchant would be hard-pressed to protect a girl like that.

“Zama”, he said, remembering the name at last. Sister of the late fool Zebedin, his mind supplied further. And cousin of Fíriel.

Xanos was amazed.

“Do you… do you know each other?”

Zama gave him a coy smile.

“Lord Anárion brought me in his ship across the Great Sea, husband.” Husband. Of course, why settle for a sailor or a merchant, when she could have a barbarian noble who owned a palace? “It is thanks to him that you and I could meet.”

“But that means…” His mind was working furiously again, but this time the conclusions he was reaching seemed to delight him. “That means it truly was destiny that you should come to my house, and not only because of your noble father! And to think I was hesitant about – disclosing this information. Oh, not because I did not trust you, nothing farther from my mind than to distrust the son of the great Elendil. But this is somewhat of a… delicate issue.”

“Lord Anárion would never think badly of you”, Zama intervened. “See, my lord, when my husband married me it was a great scandal in Arne. I was not of high birth, I was not Arnian… I did not even look very Númenórean! They called me the Haradric dancing girl.” All of a sudden, she seemed to realize what she had just said, and blushed. “But you must not think I was ever a dancing girl! Oh, no, no! Those were filthy lies made up by horrible people who could not stand the idea of someone like me marrying my noble husband.”

“I have no doubt of that, Zama”, Anárion reassured her, wondering for a moment if Isildur, if he had been here, would have pointed out that their own grandmother had been a dancing girl. But unlike Zama, neither he nor Isildur had ever needed to do a great effort to appear respectable to others. “So, you do not wish to speak of your wife because it is a delicate issue here in Arne. And also because she has convinced you to worship the Lords of the West.”

The redness in the man’s face could now easily rival hers. She frowned reproachfully.

“My husband worships the Baalim because his heart was so inclined. He may be Arnian, but he has the soul of a true Faithful.”

“Wife, it is not seemly to lie to the Lord Anárion”, Xanos retorted, gazing at his fingers again. “She said she could not marry me unless I converted. So… I converted.”

“Perhaps you did it for that reason at first”, she argued, though Anárion’s perceptive eye could detect that she was feeling very pleased with herself. “But soon, you realized that it was the right thing to do, didn’t you?”

He did not contest this, and the son of Elendil suddenly had the feeling that he had wandered into a very convoluted theatre play. He did not even know whether to be amazed, impressed, or amused.

“And that is part of the reason why you have given yourself heart and soul to our cause, though you cannot admit it to the others without compromising my efforts. Because to fight for freedom and to honour Elendil’s son is seen as a noble reason, worthy of your house, while other – explanations might not be so well-received.”

“They do not know that she is one of the Faithful. Or that I am”, Xanos said. “If the information came out, the Governor would come for me, and my peers would desert me without looking back once.”

“That is why I keep out of sight. Even more out of sight than other noble Arnian women, which is already quite a feat, if you ask me. This way, he can let them think I am just a mistake of his hot-blooded youth he is properly ashamed and sorry about.”

Just like your cousin beyond the Sea, Anárion almost answered. Thinking of the irony of those two women’s parallel fates, however, had the virtue of sobering him.

“You have done well. And thanks to you, I now have a steadfast ally in times of need”, he said, with a solemn bow in the direction of his host. “It might be good for the Faithful if there were more women like you.”

Zama smiled impishly.

“Well, that was not quite what my mother used to say. But she was no great lord, and could not see… what do they call it? The bigger picture.” Then, something seemed to cross her mind, and she grew serious too. “Would it be very rude to presume…I mean, I do know you are very busy, and that there are weighty matters you must discuss with my husband and his allies. But if you had some free time… even if it was just a little while, could I ask you for news of my family? It would all be proper and seemly, and my women would be present. Even though they won’t understand a thing, bless them.”

“Wife, the lord Anárion did not come here to chat. He is a very busy man”, Xanos objected, a little uncomfortably. Whatever authority was in his voice, however, seemed to desert him before Zama’s gaze, and Anárion began to see how she had convinced him to marry her and view this marriage as a great honour he should pay a steep price to receive. Helpless, he turned to Anárion. “You can tell her, my lord. She never listens to me.”

“I am indeed busy, and yet you have been too polite to prevent this from letting me enjoy the full honours of your hospitality” he said, careful not to say anything that might be construed as an offense. “I have slept more, and eaten more than I need in order to survive, and it would not affect my duties if I took some time to ensure your wife’s peace of mind about the loved ones she left in the Island. Tonight, for example, we have no meetings planned, and I have no objection to staying late.”

“Oh, thank you, thank you, my lord!” she smiled. The smile had the same effect as if a sunray had touched her face, and Anárion could hear his host swallow hard.

“And I, too, am thankful on my dear wife’s behalf”, he said. Zama gestured at the woman from earlier to approach, and they whispered some words in the Arnian tongue. While they talked, he leaned closer to Anárion. “To be honest, she has never been too forthcoming about her life in Númenor. I do not mind, generally, but sometimes, I have been brought to feel some –curiosity. Perhaps I will stay.”

It was the truth, Anárion realized, not just some half-baked excuse to keep watch over them without confessing to his honoured guest that he did not trust him as much as he claimed. Even though he was only too well aware that Zama had quite an effect on people.

“As far as I know, there is more pain than shame in her past, my lord” he replied. “As it is often the case with the Faithful who have been forced into exile. “

The Arnian frowned, and opened his mouth to ask something. At that moment, however, the woman returned to the table, and he abandoned his attempt to smile at her. Her own smile was coy, but she did not seem dismayed to see him there. Perhaps she also saw this as a chance, Anárion realized, an opportunity to disclose certain things to her husband that she had never felt ready to tell him.

“Well”, he said, taking a sip from his cup. “Let us begin.”

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“On my signal.”

Isildur’s words were just a whisper, audible only for those who stood closest to him, but everybody stood alert at his gesture. Straining his eyes against the glare of the afternoon sun, he counted the men who advanced through the pass. It was not too difficult, as the Forest People did not walk in tight formations, but tended to spread across the available space, as if they could not stand to be in close vicinity of each other.

Definitely more of them than yesterday, he realized, struggling to keep the insidious ghost of disheartenment away from his mind. The pauses between one battle and another were the hardest, while they buried the dead, made repairs, grabbed a bite and went back to their posts to await the next wave of attackers. They gave him too much time to think, and thinking was the worst thing that men in their circumstances could do. Sometimes, Isildur felt a mad yearning for constant fighting, for a battle which had no end until death or victory was theirs. No thinking, no pondering numbers or chances in his head – just killing and trying to stay alive, until the red blur gained control of his mind and he no longer remembered himself.

As his hand went down, the arrows whooshed over his head. A number of them sunk in the flesh of their intended targets, men with no armour or protection, who cried in pain and fell. Their comrades did not help them, or even check on them; instead, they left them strewn across the path and charged. In a more favourable territory, they would have disappeared into the forest instead, and it would have been impossible to root them out, but in this narrow pass Isildur had the advantage, forcing them to do manoeuvres they were not accustomed to.

Today, the battle was over before the sun had sunk enough to touch the summit of the mountains. Isildur had killed thirteen, all of them unarmoured and naked except for their warrior paint, swinging inferior weapons made of wood and flintstone. Still, the number of defenders was dwindling at every day that passed, while there seemed to be no end to the invading hordes. It did not matter if a hundred enemies died for every Númenórean: hundreds more were always waiting to spring upon them the next day.

“There are five dead, and seven wounded, my lord Isildur.” The sky was rent with groans as the wounded and agonizing Forest People were finished off and their bodies dragged towards a pile. “But only two are serious.”

“Does this mean the other five can fight tomorrow?” he asked. His interlocutor gazed at the floor in silence, as if at a loss as to what to say. Isildur shrugged it away.

“Never mind.”

“Look! A rider!” the sentinel cried from his tower. At once, everybody dropped what they were doing, and many glances turned towards Isildur.

“Bring him into my presence”, he ordered.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The man who had just covered many miles through a hostile land was Belzagar, Abrazan’s second-in-command, but he did not have the time to be celebrated for his feat. Instead, he let two of the men disengage his feet from the stirrups, leaned on them as they helped him dismount, and sized Isildur with one of the most haunting looks the son of Elendil had ever seen directed at him.

“Our fort has fallen. We… we were overrun, and the captain sent me t-to inform you at all haste. He is dead now”, he added, uselessly.

Isildur cursed. The fire of the battle was still burning in his chest, so he could not feel the pain of the wound. But he knew only too well that, just as it happened with real wounds, at some point the fire would leave and the pain would come.

“Those damn traitors”, he raged. “I knew we had to keep an eye on them! I bet they dropped their weapons and joined the enemy as soon as they had a chance.”

Belzagar shook his head fervently.

“No, my lord. They… stayed loyal. Ulmer is dead too. It was…” All of a sudden, his eyes were veiled by a haunting emotion, and his hand began to shake. “They came in the night. They did not make any noise… like demons. They scaled the wall, caught the sentinels by surprise. Slit their throats.” He took a long, tremulous breath. “Then they kept coming, and coming. No matter how many we killed, there were more. They opened the gates, and then…”

“I see.” So that was where the bulk of their forces had gone. “I suppose they did not stay there for long.” Around him, he could see many looks of deep horror, as the men who had families near the Sea began to realize what this news meant.

“Give this man something to eat, and look after his wounds”, he ordered mechanically, while his mind worked. “Before the sun sets, each of the horses we keep in the stables must have a rider. We will ride North at all haste, and intercept the enemy before it reaches our wives and children.”

“I can go”, Belzagar offered. Isildur, however, had no time for survivor guilt at this moment.

“No. You are in charge of this post. Not all the tribes will have heard that the way is open to the East; we have to leave a garrison here for the stragglers who keep coming in this direction. The rest of you, move! What are you waiting for, the Valar to send a host from across the Sea?”

Those words galvanized the soldiers into action, and soon afterwards lots were being cast, horses pulled out, and men already tired from fighting were munching on dry meat while their comrades helped them with their armour. As for Isildur, he threw himself on the thick of the preparations, not only because he was the leader, but because he could not afford to let the fire go out and the truth of the situation emerge in his mind in all its terrible crudity.

Night was falling as their improvised force of three hundred riders rode through the pass in the Northern direction. The enemy had no horses, so, allowing for four hour resting pauses after every twelve, they would find them in two days at the maximum. Once they did, however, Isildur had no idea of how many they would be, or if they would be stopped by such a small number. He had left Belzagar instructions to send messengers to all the forts, asking them to let go of all the soldiers they could spare. After their defences had been breached, it made little sense to keep as many men at the fortifications, and all the sense in the world to intercept the enemy in an open fight. But of course, it was Forest People they were talking about: slippery, disorderly Forest People who would prove as hard to contain as grains of sand slipping away from his grasp. Perhaps his plans were merely an illusion of control, and they were already doomed. He had assured his family in Rómenna that he could deal with this, that there was no reason for them to worry, that there was no need to flee or relocate or ask for help – and now, thousands of people might die for his miscalculation. At least he would die together with them.

Stop thinking, Malik warned him, dead serious. You have to stop thinking right now.

The next day passed by in an uneventful blur, without any friendly or hostile encounters. In the afternoon, however, they came to the first Forest People settlement that had been sacked by the enemy. There were no signs of life: just huts burned to cinders, and corpses strewn among them. The bodies were few, which gave Isildur the hope that the rest had managed to flee.

“At least we know they went this way”, one of his men joked humourlessly, when they passed near the third destroyed village. The fires were still kindled on this one, and Isildur knew that they were getting nearer and nearer to their quarry. Now, something else was beginning to worry him: the absence of reinforcements. The soldiers from the closer forts should have been in the vicinity by now, at least if they had not fallen by the time the messengers got there.

And there you are, thinking again.

That night, as they huddled around the fire to get some rest before the impending battle, nobody was talking, and yet very few were sleeping. Which means that most of them are also thinking, Malik deduced, and falling prey to their thoughts. Only you can keep them together, Isildur.

“Do not worry”, he said aloud. His voice was confident, and did not reflect his current disarray. “I will wake you up so you do not miss the fight.”

This was met by a few timid smiles, and even one raucous laughter, too overdone to be sincere. But at least they were not thinking anymore, and he could only hear a few whispered conversations before, one by one, they all surrendered to sheer exhaustion.

At dawn, they ate the last of their food, dumped their excess baggage, and readied themselves for whatever awaited them. Isildur’s mind was on overdrive, anticipating the enemy’s move and preparing strategies. He had only one advantage over the enemy: he knew the land like the palm of his hand, the places where he could spy on them without being seen, and the most favourable terrain for engaging in battle. For all morning, he sent scouts ahead, in several directions, until one of them returned with word that the Southern Forest People’s main force had been located.

“How many?” he asked. The man’s voice was so low that he had difficulty hearing it.

“Thousands. But I could not see their vanguard.”

Right.

“That is good news. They must have stayed together instead of scattering across the whole territory plundering and pillaging. If we can defeat them here, we can stop the invasion.”

“But…” Now, the man was gazing religiously at the dirt under his feet. “But we are three hundred men.”

“Three hundred riders, with Númenórean armour and weaponry. If we take on ten men each, we can face three thousands of them. And if my calculations are right, our friends will have reached the opposite side of the plain just in time to catch them on a pincer attack.”

“Oh.” The relief in those eyes was almost painful to behold. “So… that was part of a plan.”

Isildur snorted.

“A mad plan, like all the plans that work. Now, get ready.”

He was surprisingly unaffected by the idea of dying in battle, or even by the horrible visions of their people losing their lives and their settlements being destroyed. All he could think about as he rode towards the battlefield was Grandfather, Father, Anárion, and how furious they would all be with him for this. You thought you were so clever, that you knew so much better, he could almost hear Amandil’s voice hissing in his mind. You never listened to your brother or me, and now all our colonies will be lost because of your poor decisions, Elendil chimed in. See? That is why I could never trust you.

They would still say those things about him, he realized, even if he fell among a hundred enemy corpses he had killed with his own hands. At this point, no bravery, no gallantry, no strength could avail him, nothing short of success. In the absence of success, he could die a coward or a brave man, and it would not make any difference. He would still be the man who had lost them the North and caused the death of many.

“On my signal!” he shouted again. This time, everyone heard his voice, and the arrows whooshed through the air to sink into their appointed targets, who groaned as they fell. Their comrades yelled in rage and defiance, brandishing their axes and spears as the riders, in close formation, broke into their ranks. The clash was terrible, but Isildur did not have the time to appreciate it, too busy sinking his sword in one enemy after another. Around him, ferocious gazes turned into alarm, savage cries fell silent, and many turned tail and fled.

Perhaps you can still win, Isildur.

The path he was cutting, however, went deeper and deeper into the enemy ranks without finding an end. Slowly, he could hear cries of dismay and groans multiplying in his side as well, as the Forest People surrounded them, hacking at their legs, and pulling them from their horses to butcher them upon the ground. One of the savages grabbed hold of his foot, yelling at his companions to come and help. Isildur disengaged his sword from the throat of a man and cut his head off.

I did my best, Father, his mind thought feverishly. At least you will have to give me this.

“What is that?”

The voice belonged to one of his men, shouting above the din raised by the enemy. Isildur had just routed a threat, so he had a brief moment to look up before the next one arrived in his vicinity. As he did so, he was blinded, as if he had stared directly into the sun. Blinking the tears away, he heard a strange sound, coming from the distance, but growing louder and louder. Horns, his mind supplied, just before his eyes managed to make out a column of riders, whose armour was reflecting the sunlight back at them. Suddenly, the density of the enemy ranks that pressed around him seemed to dwindle, and he took advantage of this new freedom of manoeuvring to call for his men to regroup around him.

“They are Elves!” one of the former mercenaries exclaimed. “What do you think? Elves, coming to our aid!”

“I’ll be damned!” another chimed in. “What on Earth are they doing so far South?”

Isildur could not answer at first, too busy swallowing the large knot stuck on his throat.

“Let us get there so we can ask them."

New Policies

Read New Policies

“So?” Irimë lifted her face from her book, her expression immediately alert upon hearing his voice. “Were there any rumours circulating around Rómenna today?”

“No.” She gave the book to Findis, who efficiently slid a marker into the page her mother had been reading and went away to put it back on its right place of the shelf. “Our people have not reported a single word on this matter. But in the situation we are in, no news is the best news.”

On the eve of the previous day, several boats full of refugees had been dispatched and sent to board a ship that would take them to the mainland. It had been a while since Elendil had been in charge of such an operation, as their precarious hold over the North had not counselled it. But after long talks and negotiations, which he had undertaken in person, the Elves had finally been persuaded to send military help to protect the Númenórean settlements from the threat of the Southern Forest People. Irimë had expressed concern about Isildur’s reaction to this, for his elder son was not the kind of man who would welcome a bunch of immortals telling him how to wage his wars, and his opposition might prove fatal for the joint enterprise. But in the end, she need not have worried, since Isildur did not even use the Seeing Stone anymore. When the Elves landed on the Númenórean harbours, he had left long ago to lead the defence of the forts in the Southern frontier, and they had only met in the thick of battle. After that, there was nothing his son could do but swallow his pride, and act grateful towards the army that had helped him achieve what turned out to be a most unlikely victory.

Meanwhile, Amandil’s reaction, which Elendil had been chiefly concerned about, had been strangely listless. The lord of Andúnië had left the management of the North to Isildur, and he had never had a very warm relationship with the Fair Folk- a circumstance for which he always claimed they were at fault, and no argument would convince him of the contrary. Now, however, he did not have much of a warm relationship with anybody, not even with Elendil. His face was always veiled, as if he came back from Sor without the ability to put away his mask and show his emotions properly, and there was no way to know to what extent his son’s striking deals behind his back had angered him. All he had said after he heard of the whole secret operation was to predict that the King would hear of it, and the Elves would not sail to Númenor to protect them from his wrath. Elendil was fairly certain that the King was too busy with his Eastern and Western campaigns at the moment, and even if he were to retaliate, a promise of destruction was always better than the certainty of it, and their Middle-Earth assets more valuable than anything the King had within his reach at the moment. Also, Elendil was long past apologizing for saving innocent people at the expense of anyone’s pride, and if his interference had got the job done, he would never regret it. Still, he admitted he had expected more of a fight, and that this outcome had bothered him more than the alternative.

“That is true, but we must remain vigilant for at least three days. If there are news from Sor, they might have not reached Rómenna yet.”

“That is something which you may have the chance to find out very soon”, she retorted, her lips twisting in a brief but expressive grimace. “If there should be good news, at least one positive outcome might come out of your ordeal.”

Elendil had to keep a tight control over his features at the reminder.

“Indeed.”

His voice was met by a thoughtful silence.

“Lord Amandil worries me”, she spoke again after a while, when Elendil was already about to leave. “Please, take care of him.”

Many in their family would think that the woman was being abrasive; that it was not her place to give him this particular advice. Elendil, however, recognized her genuine concern, and though it did not come from the same place as his own – she could not prevent herself from thinking of the family as the leaders of an enterprise which could be jeopardized by the slightest weakness in one of the links-, it felt close enough to be welcome.

“I will try to”, he nodded.

Tomorrow morning, for the first time in his life, he would take the road to Sor with his father. Both had been invited to attend the Festival of the King in the temple of Sor, the oldest ceremony in the religious calendar of Númenor since Tar Palantir’s attempts to revive Erukyuermë, Erulaitalë and Eruhantalë had been discontinued. And, since Sauron imposed his dark rites on the Island, the most horribly desecrated.

Knowing what awaited him did nothing to calm him down, as he laid in bed and tried in vain to catch some sleep that night. Already close to the break of dawn, he slumbered off for a while, only to wake up shivering from a nightmare. Aghast, he realized that Amandil was sitting by his bedside, watching him with eyes that seemed to bear into his skull in the half-light.

“It is time”, he said. Elendil did not ask him any questions, but gathered his courage to throw the bedcovers aside and step into the chill air.

They travelled in a covered carriage, since according to Amandil the streets of Sor were no longer a place where the lord of Andúnië and his heir could ride freely and show their faces to the passers-by. Still, despite sitting in such close quarters, they barely spoke a word during the trip. The lord of Andúnië did not appear to be in a talkative mood, and Elendil did not feel like filling the resulting void. Only when the Temple was already visible, looming threateningly over their heads, Amandil seemed to emerge from his deep reverie.

“I was a very young boy when they took me from my parents. Back then, I thought that the key was to act brave and defiant, to show them that I was not afraid. That they could never break me, no matter how hard they tried.” He smiled bitterly. “But the only thing that truly keeps them away is to look broken. So broken that, deep inside, even you start believing yourself broken. Because if you do not, they might notice.” For a moment he stared at the road ahead, his forehead curved in a frown. “At some point, you always end up wondering if you are pretending or not.”

Elendil winced.

“Father…”

“You must never do that”, Amandil interrupted him. “No matter what happens, do not forget who you are. I will be here to bow and make excuses for your behaviour.”

“I do not believe that will be necessary.” He forced himself to smile, to hide how disturbed he felt. “I am not exactly Elendur’s age, and I know when to keep my mouth shut.”

The lord of Andúnië did not even seem to have heard him.

“Promise me that you will remember what I have said.”

“I will…well, I am not going to cause a scene, Father, when there is so much at stake. But I promise I will not be broken.” One of us cannot be, the sombre thought crossed his mind, and he tried not to think of Irimë’s worries about weak links putting their plans in danger.

The first tests were easy enough to pass: Elendil had been searched for weapons before, made to wait until the officer in charge received word that he could cross some line, even addressed rudely. Meeting the Governor of Sor was harder, for the man was arrogant and overbearing, and seemed determined to prove how much he despised the Faithful and all their breed.

“My, if this isn’t the famously elusive Elendil of Andúnië! Or should I say, of Rómenna” he greeted him with a sneer. “Have you found your piety yet?”

“Yes, my lord governor, I believe I have”, Elendil replied, in a polite but steady voice.

“Good! You will both be among my guests of honour, and stand by my side during the ceremony. The Great Deliverer will be greatly pleased to witness your devotion, and so will the assembled people of Sor. And, who knows?” His lips curved in an ominous grin. “Perhaps you will meet some long-lost friend in there.”

Elendil had to admit that, when the man turned his back to him, he felt as if his innards were crawling with snakes. Amandil raised an eyebrow.

“I am fine, Father”, he claimed, a little too hotly. In the last months, they had not heard of any true Faithful being caught, but of course there was always the horrible possibility that he might recognize someone. Amandil used to inform them of the names and kinship of those whose deaths he had watched, as matter-of-factly as if he had looked them up in a book - until, one day, he just stopped doing so. Elendil did not know if there had not been any more Faithful since then, or if Amandil had simply decided not to mention them anymore.

It had been a really long time since Elendil had last attended a sacrifice, in the mainland. Back then, only bulls had been slaughtered and thrown into the fire in the name of the Lord of Battles, but he had still been disgusted at the senseless carnage and the blind, superstitious devotion of the soldiers. Now, the trappings were the same, the fire burned just as hot, and the prayers had a similar ring, but it was no longer animals bellowing as they were dragged in by the priests. It was miserable, pitiful barbarian men screaming in their own tongue, perhaps vain threats, perhaps pleas for mercy. One of them needed four priests to pin him down, and for a moment his revolving eyes, half-crazed with fear, set themselves on Elendil. An invisible hand pressed skeletal fingers against his throat, and he realized that he could not breathe.

“Praised be the Great Deliverer”, Amandil said, taking Elendil’s hand and pressing his fingernails into it until the pain brought him back to his senses. He had not even blinked, and watching him, Elendil felt himself taken by a feeling of unreality, as if nothing was wrong around them; as if the smell of burned flesh was only in his imagination.

Then, however, came the second batch of victims, all of them Númenóreans. The fear of recognizing any of them almost turned into panic, though the rational part of Elendil was aware that it did not, should not matter. Not knowing them could not possibly make this crime any less heinous. Not even if they were all black-hearted, cold-blooded murderers would this evil be justified, for the blackest, coldest hearts would never gut their victims among prayers and call it piety.

“Edifying, is it not?” the governor’s voice rose above his thoughts, piercing them like a knife. “It truly makes one reflect upon life and death, and the importance of keeping one’s soul on the right path. I personally find it a humbling experience.”

Elendil had always been a very prudent man, and it was not often that he spoke a word out of place. But now, he turned towards his interlocutor with eyes so full of contempt that it even gave the man pause.

“I would never have been able to guess, lord governor.”

“Elendil, please”, Amandil said, with just as much feeling as when he had chanted the accursed words of the prayer. The governor merely smiled.

“I see we are not feeling very humble yet. Perhaps it is time for the next ones to come in.”

Elendil did not know why the man suddenly sounded so gleeful, but he had an ominous feeling about it. At a sign from the Head Priest, the gate opened again, and with it the muffled sounds of scuffling, dragging, and cursing. Unsure of what to expect, but resigned to the prospect of more death, he looked in that direction. What he saw made him freeze.

No, he thought, frantically. It could not be. This was a mistake, perhaps a nightmare. He had to wake up now, or they would never be in time for the ceremony in Sor.

“Have you recognized someone, by chance?” the governor inquired, with apparent detachment. Amandil’s hand moved to hold his again, but Elendil did not take it. If he did, the man would see.

One by one, the men and women they had sent away in the boats, the ones who had rowed away from the shore with a mixture of hope and trepidation at the great adventure that awaited them, were ushered inside the hall. As they drew closer, Elendil realized that they were unable to resist their captors enough to require the strength of several acolytes, as the others had- that, in fact, they were barely able to walk. They must have been tortured for information. At this point, the only viable course of action would be to hide his feelings until he learned how much the enemy knew about the operation.

All of a sudden, one of the women saw him. She was advancing like a drunkard, supported by two priests, but when they came closest to him, she pretended to stumble. As the priests bent their backs to gather her up, their gazes crossed for an instant, and she shook her head with a weak but proud smile. Luckily, the governor of Sor was too busy talking to Amandil to see it.

“… and they arrested the crew before the boats arrived. After that, it was just a matter of hiding away and waiting until the targets were all aboard the ship to reveal themselves. A flawless operation, if I may say so myself. No one was killed or injured in it, and we caught so many of them! Perhaps this will finally dissuade those wretched Baalim-worshippers from ferrying people outside the Island without permission, and taking them beyond the borders of our Empire. They have been doing it long enough, but no matter how often I asked the Sceptre to be allowed to apply more stringent measures, my words always fell on deaf ears. Until four days ago, when I was finally given full authority to curb their manoeuvres.” The first man was gutted on the altar, and as his body was thrown into the fire, the acolytes wiped the blood from the surface so they could lay the woman who had smiled at Elendil. She was not smiling anymore, but she did not scream. When her arms were thrown backwards and her chest exposed, she moved her lips, probably to utter a prayer. The officiating priest went livid, and gave orders to gag her.

Four days ago. Probably the moment the King heard that, against all hope, their Northern colonies were safe and more out of his reach than ever. Out of sheer spite, he would have removed the leash from his watchdog and set it on them. His old friend had known him well.

Amandil nodded attentively.

“I see. I assume you know the identity of the traitor who was behind this?”

“Oh, no. They refused to talk, the thrice-damn fanatics. But one day, I will catch one who will be less inclined towards heroism. It is a pity there were no children among them, they work wonders when it comes to loosening the tongues of their parents.” He fell silent, watching the woman burn with a thoughtful expression, then turned unexpectedly in Elendil’s direction again. “I see you look humbler now. I am glad to see that the god’s power is finally getting to you.”

Elendil opened his mouth; then realized that he would not have been able to utter a word, even if there was a sword pointed at his throat.

“Do not distract him, my lord governor. As you can see, he is deeply immersed in prayer”, Amandil’s voice said, from a very great distance.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

It took much of the voyage home for Elendil to be able to smell something that was not burned flesh, hear sounds rising above the mixed crescendo of chanting and screaming, or see anything except the woman’s last smile as she turned towards him. It was as if the black fumes had enveloped him, and anything beyond them was weak, blurred, and unreal. If she saw him now, Eluzîni would be worried sick, and Irimë would feel it was her duty to remind him that he did not have the luxury to wallow in his personal misery. Please, take care of him, she had said, the evening before they left. Ashamed, he realized that he had not only failed to do this, but that it was Amandil who had taken care of him instead, once again setting his worn shield between him and the enemy to have it ripped apart by the points of their spears.

“I am sorry, Father”, he said, only belatedly realizing that Amandil might think him delirious. But the lord of Andúnië did not even blink.

“It was the first time. And he threw something unexpected at us, something you were not ready for. But the next time, you will be. See?” He smiled, a twisted smile which Elendil had never seen in his father’s features before. “You are not broken. You cannot be. Broken people do not feel grief, horror, or indignation. They feel something entirely different … something that always feels cold, but not enough. Never enough.”

Elendil pondered this in silence. Just as this morning, an instinct was telling him that something was off… wrong somehow, even more than usual. And yet, his mind was still lagging behind, trapped in that temple, and his thoughts were slower than ever.

Amandil’s next words came only much later, when they were already in the vicinity of Rómenna.

“I am leaving.”

Sluggish as his mind was, Elendil was jolted out of his musings by this.

“What? Right now, it is dangerous even to…” Surely he could not be referring to.... “You are too young to lay down your life!”

Amandil shrugged.

“I am not going to lay down my life, like someone would leave a useless possession by the wayside for another to pick it up. That would be a cowardly deed. I am going to do something with my life, Elendil, something that only a man who has nothing left to lose could ever do.” For the first time in months, in years perhaps, he looked feverishly excited as he spoke. “I am taking ship for the Blessed Lands, where I will seek the Valar, like our ancestor Eärendil is said to have done. If they have eyes, ears, and minds, they will see me, hear me, and understand what I have to tell them. I would gladly give my life a thousand times over if that will convince them to save Númenor, and help our family and our people. “His features darkened. “And if they do not listen, then I will die knowing for sure that neither us, nor any of our forebears should have revered them, or suffered persecution for their sake. Whichever it is, I will be at peace at last.”

“Stop talking like that.” Elendil’s soul was slowly filling with a new kind of fear, different from the one he had experienced earlier in the day. “Please. I am sure that Eluzîni has dinner waiting for us. She will have made your favourite dishes, you should eat something.” He could not stop babbling. “And then you need to rest, and I too, and wake up tomorrow, when the sun is already high in this sky. Then it will be a new day, Father, with new tasks, and worries, and hurdles to overcome. We only have to focus on them, one at a time, and this darkness will dissipate.”

Amandil laughed.

“Of course your darkness will dissipate, Elendil, my son. But not mine. There is no longer a place for me in Rómenna, in Númenor, or in the mainland, and there has not been for a very long time.” For a moment, he looked contrite, almost beseeching. “You must understand.”

“Understand? What is there to understand?” His voice sounded unexpectedly childish, which made him feel angry at himself. He was not a child being wilful, he was a man trying to dissuade his father from what could only be described as a sudden attack of sheer madness. “You cannot sail West. The Valar will not allow you passage. And besides, we- we need you here. Now more than ever.”

“No, you do not. You have never needed me, though I always did my best to pretend that you did.”

“Is this because of my dealings with the Elves? Are you angry at me because I made that decision without you?”

“What? No!” Amandil shook his head, as if he had just said something ludicrous. “You were quite right to do what you did. A few people got caught, yes. Maybe others will be, in the future, and maybe Rómenna will be razed to the ground one day. But none of this matters. All that matters is the mainland, our colonies and our people there, because they are our only chance at a future. You saw this, and I did not, which only proves my point. When we had our first conversation, you were already fully grown, in body and in mind. Since then, you have been a governor, a commander, a leader. And once I am gone, you will be a lord, a king, and whatever else you are required to be.”

“This is…” The words did not come out easily. “I do not… you are not thinking clearly. And I refuse to engage any further in this discussion until you do!”

Elendil had never been familiar with irrationality –which, he realized now, only made him more helpless against it. Standing up, he called for the driver to hold the horses, and jumped out of the carriage.

Amandil did not follow him.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Back when he first came to terms with the inevitability of going to the Temple with Elendil, he had never expected this to happen. He had been worried about his son, of course, and sorry that he could no longer protect him from evil. He had been concerned about Elendil’s encounter with the Governor of Sor, about there being some victim he could perhaps recognize. What he had not expected in a hundred years was that, by the time he stepped across the threshold and left the butchery behind, his feelings of horror would be directed at himself alone, at the monster he had become. Elendil’s emotions, understated as they had been, had acted like a powerful template, against which he had measured himself and realized what he had turned into: a vapid courtier, an empty soul, who smiled as an innocent was killed before his eyes and felt nothing.

A broken man.

Long ago, Númendil had told him that Men had a mortal body and an immortal soul, and that the mortality of the body was nothing but a release of the soul from its earthly constraints. When the body was tired, it was time for the soul to flee it and seek eternal life in a higher plane of existence. But what if the opposite happened, and the body, tired as it was, became the only link to life a man had left? His body still flinched when it stood too close to the flames, it felt a vague nausea when the smell of burned flesh grew vivid, and it shivered with cold after they left the warmth of the main hall. If somebody tried to stick a sword in it, it would defend itself, and if wounded, it would feel pain, because it did not want to die. The soul, on the other hand – he could barely feel it anymore. It was retreating somewhere from which he was unable to draw it out, and this panicked him, for the only one who could have helped him was no longer in this world. The day it was truly gone, and he could no longer find the faintest trace of it, he would not just be like one of the lesser men who could not separate their bodies from their souls at will. He would be no different from an Orc, struggling to lengthen the agony of his own existence out of sheer animal instinct. And after a long life of fighting to wrestle his fate away from the hands of others, this would not merely be another battle lost, but the entire war.

That was why he had sought to flame the embers of the strongest emotion that remained to him: hatred. Undiluted resentment for those who had abdicated their role of guardians and left them to their fate, all of them, from the first Elf who was dragged to the pits of Utumno to the last Man who had been cut open in the altar of the Temple of Sor today. To speak to the Valar, he would be ready to sacrifice his body, to leave it behind as the meaningless carcass it was supposed to be. And this meant that it was the only thing which could still save him.

Elendil, of course, would never accept this. He would claim that Amandil was temporarily mad with grief, that he would feel better after a while. As his mind had never been able to perceive the divine in the same ways as Amandil himself and their ancestors, the ultimate understanding of those processes also escaped him. To him, Eru and the Valar were entities to be worshipped and revered, but they had nothing to do with the world of Men, and it was foolish to expect them to intervene or help them with their problems. Deep inside his heart, he was his mother’s son, a woman who had religiously paid her dues to the temple of Melkor and lit candles to the Goddess of the Seas until she moved to Andúnië to be taught the rites of her new family, without ever feeling the agonizing need for an answer to her prayers. The house of Andúnië was proud of the immortal blood running through their veins, sole remaining proof that this separation between mortal and immortal had not always been the immutable law it was now, but it had never made things any easier for them. As it had not made things easier for the Royal House of Armenelos, he realized, suddenly understanding the descent of proud and powerful kings into the spiral of madness which had led to this.

That was why they all had to go. If Amalket’s world was the only future they could hope for, Elendil was the one who could rule it. Her blood, not his, had predestined him, and Amandil had just been an unwitting instrument of Fate when he met her in the gardens of the Temple of Armenelos.

“I am not hungry tonight”, he told Lalwendë, who followed his retreating form with a worried look in her eyes. “When you see your husband, please tell him to forgive me, if he is able to do so.”

“When will you be back?” she asked him from the distance. But he did not turn around, and his pace quickened until he could no longer hear her voice.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Elendil had never known what made his father abandon the house so often to wander through those cliffs. Perhaps it was merely solitude what he sought, though being alone with one’s thoughts was not always the wisest or safest path to take. Perhaps he believed he could find some lingering traces of Lord Númendil’s presence there, which on second thought should have acted as a warning that something was seriously amiss since much longer ago. When someone refused to complete the full journey of mourning, and understand that loved ones had passed beyond the Circles of the World, it was like watching ripples on the surface of the water: one knew that the currents were much stronger underneath it. It had been so with Isildur, but Elendil guessed he had always needed to have a different image of his father. Fathers were wise: they offered advice and help. And though they might need it themselves, now and then, if they refused to accept it they ultimately knew what they were doing, and had to be respected.

Of course your darkness will dissipate, Elendil, my son. But not mine. The more he remembered the words, the voice which had spoken them, the look on those features, the more they chilled him to the marrow. It had been a different brand of horror from the one which had left him speechless in the temple of Sor, more understated but no less powerful. Though consciously he refused to think of it in those terms, the back of his mind was constantly smothering comparisons between the visible agony of the body and the invisible agony of the soul. This explained his anger back then, the irrational anger he had found himself unable to deal with as he had with all his emotions until now. It had been an attempt to convince himself that his father was to blame for being in this state, because the alternative was just too terrible.

“It is not your fault”, Eluzîni claimed, engulfing him in a warm embrace. She had to tiptoe and raise her arms to pull his face towards her, for he did not lean forwards as he used to. “And it is not his fault, either! Why do we insist in assigning blame amongst ourselves, while there are people hunting innocent refugees and murdering them in public for a matter of pride? By all the Valar, sometimes I think that we are our own worst enemies!”

“He wants to sail to the Undying Lands and defy the Valar, Eluzîni.” Though his path had diverged long ago from that of his old friend, somehow, they still retained the ability to converge in the strangest of ways. For a moment, he found himself wondering if Ar Pharazôn would have enough sense of irony left to appreciate this. “The Valar. He thinks they have wronged us, and that he can somehow get them to see the error of their ways.”

“That is because he no longer sees a point in living in this world, Elendil. And who could blame him? Not your ancestors, who used to lay down their lives whenever they felt tired of them! In fact, he has more reason to want this than any of them ever had: his wife died long ago, his friend turned into a monster, his father, who was his anchor, went ahead of him and left him here, and all he has to look forward to is witnessing senseless deaths upon senseless deaths!”

“He has us! A son, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, all of whom love and reverence him!”

“And do not need him at all!” Taken by the urgency of the discussion, Eluzîni did not seem to realize what she had just said until it dawned upon her, and her eyes widened. “I am sorry… I did not mean… all I wanted to say is that this is how he sees it!”

Elendil did not revert to the irrationality of hours before. Instead, he looked perfectly reasonable as he gazed back at her contrite expression, though he felt hollow inside.

“That is how he sees it because we gave him this idea. I gave him this idea. I have been making more and more choices without consulting him, not just because I wanted to take the burden off his shoulders, but also because I thought… I thought I could do better.”

Eluzîni let go of a long, shuddering breath, and released him.

“A man like him believes he is in the world so he can shoulder everything for everyone else. If he cannot do so any longer, then he is bound to feel that his life no longer has any meaning. But this is not the fault of whoever is called to replace him, Elendil, and I am sure he knows this as well as I do.”

The last part had been spoken forcefully again, as she managed to regain her bearings and convince herself of the truth of her statement. Elendil pondered it in silence.

“But in that case....” It was long until he could bring himself to say the words aloud. “Even if he… truly wanted to go, why come up with this madness? Why not merely lie down until his soul departed his body, as all the previous Lords of Andúnië have done before him?”

Eluzîni shook her head.

“Because that would be cowardice. He would not do a thing like that. He has to achieve a worthwhile deed, fight against the evil which has spread its roots everywhere around us. And…” Her voice trailed away; when it came back it was much lower and tentative. “It could be that, for him, the idea of facing the Valar is less painful than facing Ar Pharazôn.”

“And infinitely more dangerous.”

“Why? Do you also believe that they are evil? Perhaps he is right, and there is something to be gained from that course of action. Perhaps he could still be a hero, like our hallowed ancestor was according to the old tales!”

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Elendil had to look at his wife’s countenance, unsure for a moment of whether this was not a poor attempt at a joke. But she was not merely serious: the tiniest spark of hope shone in her eye, and he wondered if he was the only person in this household who had not gone mad.

“I do not believe that the Valar will oblige those who seek them in a land where they are not welcome in order to make demands, with or without an armed fleet to back them. How can you not see it?” He sighed. “I certainly do now. We have lost perspective. All of us. Númenor was raised from the waters closer to Valinor than to Middle-Earth, and this has addled our minds and made us think we were closer to them than to our fellow mortals beyond the Sea. But we are not! We are Men, we toil, we grow old and then we die, just like the millions of barbarians out there. That is all there is to it, and that is all there ever will be!”

And before she could make a move to follow him, he was gone.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

When the line of the horizon began clearing with the light of impending dawn, Amandil had been sitting in the same spot for hours. His hands had gone numb from the chill of the air, and the audience clothes he never took off felt damp against his skin. When his son offered him his own hand, so he could struggle to his feet in the slippery surface of the rocks, he could barely close his grip on it.

“You sure took your time to find me”, he said, a greeting which came out as a pitiful attempt to defuse the tension. Elendil acted as if he had not even heard it.

“You are shivering. You need to go inside, change, and drink something warm. Otherwise, there will be no life for you to throw away foolishly.”

Amandil let go of him. Thankfully, his balance did not betray him, and he was able to remain standing on his own means.

“You are still angry with me. And deservedly, I suppose.”

“Very much so.” Elendil headed for the path, each of his long strides sure and elegant and so difficult to follow. Just as it had been since so long ago that Amandil could no longer remember. “Eluzîni thinks that others deserve my anger more than you do. But you are my father, and I expected something - more from you. To be the voice of reason when there is only madness left.”

“You are describing yourself. Father, too. But me? I was never that kind of man. I was never the voice of reason. I was Ar Pharazôn’s friend, and I think that, somewhere deep inside, I still am.” He took a long breath, laboriously following his son’s footsteps. “I am sorry for disappointing you.”

Elendil frowned in the half-light, but said nothing. Suddenly, Amandil found the resulting silence intolerable.

“Elendil, I… I do not know which words I should use to explain it, so you might understand. But- staying here, doing nothing, would result in a fate worse than death. If I had left years ago, you would never have seen me like this.” The words were rushing to his mouth now, fighting to get out. “And if I leave now, you will not see what I may still become.”

This time, Elendil winced.

“I am beginning to doubt the wisdom of our ancestors, Father. I think Lord Yehimelkor had the right of it. To -think that you only have the right to live for as long as you can appear a hero, and a paragon of strength and virtue, is nothing but yet another negation of our mortality. You may not wish to live forever, but isn’t the wish to live forever in the minds of others as someone who never despaired, never grew old, never had to be comforted or protected almost as unnatural?”

“You cannot protect me or comfort me.” And he should have known that, wise as he was in his own ways, Elendil would never be able to see it.

“No. All I can do is let you sail away into the unknown, from whence no one will return bearing tidings about your last hour, or tell me where your body lies. Is that it?”

“After a man dies, the body is only dead flesh. And, even if you are denied knowledge of how my life ended, you can be certain of one thing: that I chose this end, and the choice gave me peace.”

In all his lifetime, he had never seen an expression as haunting as that of his son when he turned his gaze towards him now.

“Very well. I will be honest with you, Father. Before I came here, I had spent long hours calming my anger. I was determined to be conciliating, which would give me the chance to bargain with you. I would beg for time, a year perhaps if you were amenable, and in those twelve months I would endeavour to prove to you that you are needed, both here and in Middle-Earth. That was the plan.” He shrugged, shaking his head as if he had said something very foolish. “But I cannot. I cannot be conciliating, I cannot convince you, and I cannot prove something that is not true. Because you are right: I never needed you. I only love you so deeply that my heart breaks just to hear you speak like this, and I will never be at peace with your choice.”

Suddenly, Amandil had trouble swallowing. For a moment, he even thought he could feel his soul ache a little, like an old wound would itch after picking on its dried scabs.

“Elendil…” he began, but he did not know how to end the sentence.

“That is why you must not come to me” his son continued, as if he had not heard him. “You may do as you wish without my leave, Father, as long as you remain the lord of Andúnië. If you want to take ship and seek the Valar, do so. If you want to lay down your life, or throw yourself down this cliff, do whatever you want, but do not ask for my approval, because I cannot give it to you. I am sorry.”

If it was difficult to keep up with Elendil when he wished to be followed, to do so when he did not want to be followed was sheer impossibility. Amandil watched him leave in wordless shock, then bowed his head, burying his face in his palms. But even now, his wretched eyes remained dry.

Orcs cannot cry, someone –probably Pharazôn- had told him once in the mainland. Not even when they are in great pain. Once, I heard a soldier claim that he had cut up a lot of corpses and discovered that all their tear ducts had been burned away, but I think he was trying to pull my leg. He was a mad old bastard.

“No, Elendil. I am sorry”, he mouthed to the empty air, repressing a shiver.

Severing the Ties

Read Severing the Ties

The boy towered over him, his eyes fixing him with a smug look while he crawled to pick up his training sword, and bit his lip to hide the pain. He was only moderately successful in his endeavour: as his fingers closed over the wooden stick, he could feel a treacherous moisture in his eyes. Angry at himself and embarrassed, he looked down, and pretended that staring hard at the ground was a needed requisite to pull himself to his feet successfully.

“Again”, he ordered, with his best impression of Grandfather’s commanding voice. If that novice priest had hurt him, it was because he had chosen it so. He was in control here, which meant that it was no use snivelling or crying like a little girl.

The boy nodded in silence, advancing towards him a second time. He was expecting his blow now, even hoping to parry it, but when it came, it was no longer from the same angle. How could the damned priest have moved so fast? The sword was long, yet it slid across the air like one of those dancers gyrating in a Court feast. And his other hope, that he would be used to the pain by now, was just as vain as the first, he realized, an instant before he doubled over, mouth open in a silent groan.

“Again”, he repeated, once he was sure that his voice was back. The novice priest’s eyes widened a little. For a moment, he even looked slightly less smug.

“Are you sure? Perhaps we should give it a rest.”

“Oh. Are you afraid?” he taunted. “You do not want me to try again because you know I have figured you out by now, and you do not wish to lose to me, is that it?”

After that, the smugness was definitely gone, but in its place there was anger: a cold, purposeful anger which the boy had only seen in the eyes of adults until now.

“As you wish”, the novice said, with a mock bow. Hearing his voice, the boy knew that it heralded a world of hurt, and yet he could not back down. Because one day, he would defeat him, and wipe that insolent feeling of superiority from his gaze. He would defeat anyone who dared to challenge him, and become the greatest warrior and conqueror the world had ever known.

“The greatest warrior!” The novice priest laughed. “You are just a spoiled little mother’s boy, and I will never be defeated by the likes of you. Oh, you can throw a tantrum, call for your courtiers and your soldiers, tell them to seize me and kill me or do whatever you want with me. But you will never best me.”

“But I have.” Pharazôn pressed the blunt sword tip against the lord of Andúnië’s throat. Amandil’s eyes darkened, betraying a flicker of fear, and he smiled, pressing even harder. “I have bested you. You never were a great warrior, or stronger, or wiser, or better than me. You were nothing but a scared boy who was taken away from his family and pretended to be tough and fearless, and I was stupid enough to fall for it.”

“Oh, so now you speak of pretending?” Amandil filled his own glass to the brim with red wine, then put the jar away, leaving Pharazôn’s glass empty. “You have been pretending for all your life. The Golden Prince! The King of the World! The God of the West! Tell me, would any of those exalted beings lie in their beds tormented by nightmares? Would they be afraid of an assassin’s knife, of old age, of rebels in the mainland learning that you are mortal? Would they have sent away anyone who could drop an unpleasant truth in their presence? And now, would they be allowing their enemy to creep inside their dreams?”

Pharazôn knocked Amandil’s glass down, and realized belatedly that the red liquid spilled across the table was not wine, but blood. A few drops spattered on his cheek, and they burned his skin. He flinched.

“For many years, you have held to the illusion that you could decide who lived and who died. That every man, woman and child in this world was part of your herd of cattle. But the truth is that you are no different from them, and somebody else, somebody whom you cannot see, is standing over your shoulder and awaiting the day marked for your slaughter.”

Pharazôn forced his hands not to tremble.

“I will not die, Amandil.” His voice held the same note of bravado as that of the young child who had struggled to his feet and tried to pretend he was not hurt. All of a sudden, it struck him how ridiculous they both were. “I will make my own fate. And you are no longer a part of it, so be gone!”

This time, the lord of Andúnië’s change was visible to his eyes, in every single, horrible detail. First, his grey hairs grew white, longer and dishevelled, like those of an old beggar lying in the streets of Armenelos. Gradually, more and more hair erupted from his elegant, clean shaven face, hiding its lower half under a long beard that gave him the powerfully alien look of a barbarian from the North. Then, the skin in his face grew papery and started wrinkling, until Pharazôn could no longer recognize the features of the man he had known so well except for the eyes, ancient and remote like those of an Elf.

“You will never have a fate without me” he said, in a raspy, trembling voice that appeared to be struggling to emerge from the cavernous depths of his lungs. His hand was stretched towards Pharazôn, and he could see its decrepit skin crisscrossed by disgusting blue veins. He recoiled instinctively, trying to get that thing off his face. “The day you sail to find it, I shall be waiting for you. And when we meet again, I advise you to take my hand, because, if you do not, no man, demon or god will be able to help you.”

He awoke to find himself imprisoned in a tangle of sheets, unpleasantly warm and drenched in sweat. Feeling his heart beat strong and fast against his chest, he tossed them aside, and sat on his bed. Everything was dark around him, and for a moment he thought it was night, until he was able to distinguish the heavy drapes covering the windows, and a sliver of light projected through the only one which had not been fully drawn. Behind him, he heard a flurry of footsteps.

“My lord King…”

“I told you to keep the windows uncovered.” From his mainland days, he had picked the habit of sleeping under any shade of light, but he could not withstand the disorientation which this artificial darkness wrought on his senses.

Because that is the root and cause of your discomfort, is it? an insidious voice he knew very well whispered in his mind. He tried to silence it.

“I… my lord King, you were sleeping restlessly, and I thought…”

“You thought? Well, the next time you think instead of following my orders, I will hang you from that window as a warning for the next man to fill your post. Is that clear?”

“I am sorry. Please f-forgive me, my lord King” the hapless courtier stammered, kneeling on the floor. The fear which emanated from him was the first anchor Pharazôn could hold on to since he awoke, but he was aware it was a flimsy support. “It will never happen again.” Behind them, others rushed to draw all the curtains, and soon the room was inundated by torrents of light. It was much later than he had imagined, he realized, blinking the tears away from the blinding might of the sun.

“No.” There was a half-empty glass of wine on the nightstand, next to the jar. His hand instinctively moved towards it, but froze in mid-motion after he experienced a vivid flashback of the blood in his dream. “It will not.”

“D- do you need anything, my lord King?” the man ventured once more, after a while of gazing at the tiled patterns of the floor. Pharazôn wiped his eyes with the back of his hand.

“Yes. I need a dispatch to be immediately sent to the governor of Sor, with orders to double the vigilance on every ship to sail in the waters that lie under his jurisdiction. I want all authorized vessels inspected, and all unauthorized vessels seized and their crews detained, regardless of who they are or whether their actions appear suspicious or not.” His aplomb was starting to come back, and when he felt it flow steadily in his voice, he experienced a great relief. “And I also want the same orders to be sent to the governors of Sorontil and Andúnië.”

If anyone was surprised by his words, they did not show it.

“It will be done, my lord King”, the chamberlain bowed. “Anything else?”

“After I am dressed and fed, you will also summon Zigûr from the Temple.”

“Of course, my lord King.” That was a much less unusual requirement. But then, even as they bowed and set out to perform their appointed tasks, none of the men could really know the levels of disarray that Pharazôn was hiding behind his mask of confident authority.

And they must never be allowed to know, the voice spoke in his mind again. Stepping out of the remaining tangle of sheets, he repressed a shiver which had nothing to do with the chill of the morning air in his sweating skin.

The Golden Prince! The King of the World! The God of the West! he heard the echo of its whispered mockery in his ear, its sole inflection reducing each and every one of those grand titles to dust. The hideous, distorted form of the Amandil in his dreams, his body aged and wasting away almost beyond recognition, towered over him like the young priest after he had struck him down.

You cannot avert your fate by seizing all those ships and everybody in them, increasing your sacrifices or building more fleets, you fool, he said. It is too late for that, and you have only one chance left. Again, the ugly hand was extended in his direction, but Pharazôn blinked furiously until it was gone. He sat on the side of the bed, and, as if from a great distance, he saw two men coming at him with piles of clothes.

“One chance is enough” he hissed between his teeth. One of the men stopped slightly in his tracks and blinked; the other had the good sense of pretending that he had not heard. Pharazôn ignored both of them.

“Bring me a towel”, he ordered, wincing as he forced the stiff muscles of his back to straighten up. “And a basin with warm water.”

As you wish, the boy from the Temple replied with a mock bow.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“Elendil. Elendil.” He could hear the voice calling him, but somehow, his body did not react until it grew closer and sharper. “Elendil! Irimë is here with news.”

Slowly, he pulled himself up and gazed back at Eluzîni’s worried face.

“Good news, or bad news?” he asked, more to affect a semblance of normalcy for her benefit than because he needed an answer. In matters concerning Amandil, there were no longer good or bad news, as far as he was concerned: whether he was caught by the King’s men or not, his father’s fate was sealed. Just as he had chosen it.

“The Governor is still looking for unidentified ships everywhere, but his efforts have not been successful”, Eluzîni informed. “And Irimë says that there has been no news from the Northern and Western outposts either.”

“If Lord Amandil does not sail close to the coast, a small ship like his will be difficult to spot indeed”, Irimë corroborated, with a satisfied nod. Just like everybody else in their household, she had been told that the lord of Andúnië was off on a perilous journey to seek the aid and mercy of the Valar for their people, and whatever else happened, Elendil would never let them know the truth. “May the Valar bless him and guide him in his path.”

Elendil nodded solemnly, swallowing down the knot on his throat. He knew only too well how perceptive the Lady Irimë could be.

“He may well be protected by the Valar, but here in Númenor, it is us who must protect the souls who have been entrusted to our care” he said. “No matter what urgency or peril they may find themselves in, no one must sail in or out of Rómenna until the search abates. So make sure that you impress upon our people that the need to pass entirely unremarked and pretend to be worshippers of Melkor is greater than ever. No one must attract the attention of the Governor, his men, or even the council of Rómenna.”

“I understand”, she nodded dutifully. “I will let them know.”

After she had left, Eluzîni turned towards him just in time to see his composed demeanour leave his features.

“They will not listen, as usual”, he shrugged, shaking his head. “They will keep running into trouble and getting themselves killed. And now, I cannot even help them.”

“Not everybody can be helped”, Eluzîni replied, laying a careful hand on his shoulder. “And not everybody wants to be helped. They want to do what they believe to be right, and no one, no matter how wise or powerful, is entitled to tell them what they should or should not die for.”

He frowned.

“Do not start with this again. Whatever we may have told the rest of the family, my father did not sail away to be a hero. He knew very well that what he was doing was not right, and wherever he goes, he will not have the blessing of any of the Powers.” For a moment, the knot was pressing against his throat again, but it was not grief what made him briefly speechless; it was anger. “Or mine.”

She gazed at him in dismay.

“So you will never forgive him?”

Elendil sighed.

“This has nothing to do with forgiveness, Eluzîni. I would forgive him anything….”

“Are you sure?”

“This is not a matter of me feeling wronged by him. It is a matter of him making a wrong choice for the wrong reasons, and leaving us to suffer the fallout for it!”

To his great surprise, she did not back down at this, but crossed her arms over her chest and pulled herself up to her full -and rather limited- height.

“Well, I think you do feel wronged by him. He abandoned you as a child, and now he has abandoned you again. Whenever the world has grown darkest around you, he has left you alone to deal with it. And every time, he claimed it was for some lofty reason.”

His eyes widened.

“That is most definitely not what…”

“Are you sure it is not?” Her voice was shrill, but only for a moment. “Because if it is, you should not feel ashamed of your feelings, or deny them. If you do, you will never find peace. “Now, it broke just a little, and Elendil belatedly grew aware of what must have been occupying her mind all along. “Take this advice from the bastard daughter of Shemer, the Lord of Brothels. It took me until I received tidings of his last illness, and realized I was not allowed to travel to Hyarnustar to be at his deathbed, to know that there was a problem whose existence I had been denying for all my life. “In a sharp yet elegant move, she wiped her eyes with the back of two ivory fingers. “I will not pretend it has been easy, but you have always been much better at mastering your emotions than I am.”

Elendil tried to still his raging heart, and contemplate her words. Could Eluzîni be right? Did he resent his father, despite believing for his entire life that he did not? Was this resentment the reason why the unfamiliar cloud of irrationality had veiled his mind when Amandil told him about his project, carried on with his preparations despite Elendil’s opposition, and finally sailed away in the night, leaving him with an embrace, a ring, and a bunch of vague platitudes? And, could this also be why he insisted on judging the morality of his actions so harshly, despite being aware, deep inside, of how broken the man had been?

He gazed down, staring at his hands lying over his lap. Without intending to, his eyes fell upon the finger that carried the Ring of Barahir. Even now, he could not get used to it being there, as if it was an alien object unnaturally glued to his skin.

He had never resented his father. Whenever he had seen his mother carry on a torch for her anger, and refuse to let go of the wrongs she had suffered, he had felt great pity for her, but he had not shared in her feelings. He had understood the reasons why things had to happen the way they did, laid the blame squarely where it belonged, and slept all the better for it.

Until now.

If I leave now, you will not see what I may still become, Amandil had said, with the intent expression of someone who desperately needed to drive a point home. You cannot protect me or comfort me. Back then, Elendil had acted as if his father was making a choice, as if it had been his own decision to hold himself up or break down, but he had not been able to consider the alternative: that he had been forced through that path. That he had lived longer, suffered more, perhaps even proved weaker than Elendil, through no fault of his own. That the idea of one last heroic deed before he died could be the only thing keeping him together –but not forever.

Though he did not speak a word, Eluzîni seemed to be aware of the processes going on in his mind. In silence, she stepped closer, grabbed his hand in hers, and squeezed it. Somehow, this simple gesture was able to anchor him away from the dark path of his thoughts, and as he squeezed back, he knew that no matter how far along he wandered through it, she would never let him fall. And then, it dawned upon him that perhaps, the difference between Amandil and him could be reduced to this simple yet crucial fact: that he had Eluzîni, while his father did not. In his life, he had tried to hold on to love and friendship, but both had failed him utterly.

“I love you” she whispered in his ear, cradling him like a mother would her child. “I love you, Elendil, and I will always be with you.”

The next morning, the lord of Andúnië left the house early, to watch the sun rise from the cliffs his father had frequented for years. And as he sat there, staring in silence at the dissipating darkness, he felt more at peace than he had been since the day they had both walked under the shadows of the Temple.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Amandil sat on the stern of his boat, propping his back on the railing to gaze at the stars. It was long since he had seen so many, since their glow had been so bright and their patterns so clear. In Númenor they were always veiled, either by clouds or by Men’s own pollution, but out here it was as if the world had just sprung, unblemished, from the divine mind of the Creator.

Back when he ordered his crew to turn back and leave him alone, with nothing but a flimsy boat to carry him to his ultimate destination, he had still felt as if he was on the last stage of a suicide mission. A part of him was expecting lightning to strike him, or perhaps the waters to swallow him the moment he was abandoned as a propitiatory sacrifice. The Sea, however, had remained calm, and the skies serene around the lonely shape of the Holy Mountain, which stood above the horizon like a beacon, its white peak reflecting a blinding sunlight at his eyes. When night came, he had slept well for the first time in years, and his dreams had still been vivid in his mind after he woke. Some were dreams he had had when he was much younger, of him sailing on a boat while a powerful storm engulfed the world he left behind, or drifting at the mercy of a current which inexorably carried him towards the unknown. Once he remembered them, he realized that he had not come here in defiance of laws or Powers: he was where they had always expected him to be, doing what they had always expected him to do. He had wanted to be angry at this knowledge, for anger was the only emotion he had still been able to feel in the world of Men, and the one which had kept him alive for the longest time. But then, no matter how he tried to plumb the depths of his soul in search of his old resentment, he could find it no longer. Númenor, with all the pain and human misery it contained, its deaths and sacrifices, and the mainland with its wars of conquest and rebellions, its lesser evils and impossible choices, suddenly appeared like figments of a mad nightmare, which could never have taken place in a world as beautiful, as perfect as this.

And yet it was real. It had happened. It is happening, he had forced himself to repeat, sometimes in his thoughts, sometimes aloud, as if afraid that the memories would slip away from his mind. Perhaps that was the reality behind all the superstitions speaking of fearful defences established by the Valar so no one would be able to lay a foot on their realm: that people who ventured there forgot their purpose and their past, and wandered aimlessly forever, under the power of their enchantments. For a moment, he allowed himself to imagine Pharazôn and his men deposing their arms and their will of conquest, and his friend joining him here, both healed from the darkness of their souls. They would sit under this bright sky, no longer remembering they used to be enemies, counting the stars and telling bawdy stories, as they would do around some campfire in Harad. And meanwhile, the world would go on, its wars would be fought, its people would live and they would die, but it would not be any of their concern.

Those wishes, however, were as unreal as they were useless, and Amandil soon realized the danger of letting himself be carried away by them. Now that the frozen grip on his heart had relaxed just enough that he no longer felt he was here merely to challenge the Valar and die, he still recognized there had to be some kind of purpose to his presence. And his personal wellbeing was definitely not this purpose. If there was something he was certain of, it was that no Power would choose him to escape his earthly concerns and be given the gift of healing, not above a million others who had shown greater reverence for them and suffered more than he had. The best he could say about how he had led his life was that he had survived for somewhat longer than expected, getting his hands a little less dirty than expected, but none of that would make a man worthy of special honour. He had saved people, yes, if fewer than what he might have saved if he had been a stronger, cleverer man, and always at the expense of others he had known less, and were not under his responsibility. Perhaps that was why the Valar did not intervene in the world, because everyone was under their responsibility and helping one side would mean destroying the other, he wondered, in a rare instant of sympathy for their plight. But the idea that they could consider Pharazôn worth protecting against the Faithful as much as the other way around was too alien for him to hold on to for long, even in the vicinity of the Blessed Shore. And the idea that, in the end, the death sentence would fall equally upon the heads of all was just as ludicrous, even if, in Yehimelkor’s opinion, there were no innocents in this world.

Still, before he left, he had told Elendil that he would try to get the Valar to hear him out and help his people. Elendil had refused to accept this, perceiving the death wish hidden under this thin veneer of self-sacrificing heroism. But perhaps that could be the true reason why he was here, after all. If the Valar wanted to evaluate if any Númenórean deserved to live, they might want to listen to one of the Faithful plead their case, and he had been their leader for many years. To think that the fate of all his loved ones could hinge upon his actions, however, roused in him the rare panic that he had not thought himself capable of feeling any longer. And with it, Pharazôn’s voice also rose, as mocking and bitter and incongruous in this beautiful place as a worm inside a sweet apple.

Do you really think you can hide from them what you have done? What your people have done? All those alliances and treaties you struck were the weapons of the weak, crafty distractions until you had enough men to sweep in and steal their lands. And now, you are doing the same all over again. You are here on your own, trying to bargain with the Valar simply because you are not strong enough to defeat them. If you think this makes you any better than me, go ahead and try to convince them of it.

Amandil repressed a shiver. He blinked away a sudden fog which had clouded his eyes, but, to his surprise, he realized that it stayed there even after he had wiped them. The fog was in the sky, he realized, veiling some of the stars above him, just as it had happened in Númenor. And then, he was shaken by the sudden, mad notion that it had been him who had marred this perfection; him, who had brought a sliver of ugliness into the vicinity of the Blessed Realm. He had a vision of immortal eyes, older than the foundations of the earth, watching him from atop that mountain and recoiling from his impurity. There was still time to open a chasm in the calm waters he was sailing, and bury such an unsightly creature under the waves before he could soil their land any further.

The chasm, however, did not open, and the sky was not torn. Instead, a gentle breeze made the sails billow and, slowly but inexorably, Amandil’s boat was pushed towards the shores of Aman.

Back to Rómenna

Read Back to Rómenna

“You called for me, my lord King?”

Gimilzagar stopped by the threshold, and cautiously explored the sight before his eyes. Ar Pharazôn was alone in the balcony, leaning on the railing to gaze at the Fountain Gardens below.

“Oh, yes. And you are late.”

The Prince could not see his father’s expression, or read much into his thoughts, but at least Zigûr’s absence was good news. The High Priest of Melkor would have known where he came from and why exactly he was late, and he would have found a way to drop it into the conversation.

“I apologize for the delay. I was striving to be properly presentable before I was introduced into your presence.”

“And it is quite difficult to find one’s clothes when they are strewn across a woman’s room. I know, I know.” Gimilzagar stiffened at his father’s matter-of-fact crudity, though he should have known better than to think Ar Pharazôn would need Zigûr to keep tabs on his actions. He wondered why it bothered him so much: after all, it was not as if the King of Númenor would be angry at him for ‘fooling around with his whore’, as he called it. That particular battle seemed to belong to a very distant past, before Gimilzagar proved his loyalty by foiling a hapless Baalim-worshipping assassin’s attempt on the King’s life. Before the day he showed he could fuck her without attributing much worth to her feelings, the cold, hateful voice that was always there to whisper unpleasant truths in his mind rephrased it. But at least this contempt kept her alive, which she surely would not be if her fate depended on the likes of Zigûr, Ûriphel, or the rest of the Court. Armenelos had long ago ceased to be a place where a Baalim-worshipper, a former Baalim-worshipper, or even the children or grandchildren of Baalim-worshippers could live unscathed. “There is no need to be so formal, Gimilzagar. We are alone here.”

Ar Pharazôn’s voice effectively interrupted his thoughts, and forced the Prince to focus.

“May I ask what was the reason for your summons?”

The King gestured at him to approach, which Gimilzagar did, until he was leaning on the railing close to him. From this position, he could already have a good angle of his father’s face. He was pretending to fix his gaze on a gaggle of ladies who sat before one of the fountains, probably exchanging some amusing piece of gossip, but his mind was far away - so far away that not even Gimilzagar was able to follow it. His amiable mood was like one of the multi-coloured dresses worn by the Court ladies, a dazzling pretence to hide the hard edges of some dark truth.

“I was remembering that time when you accompanied me to Rhûn, and we crossed the mountains”, he said at last. “They were impressive, were they not? Their peaks were lost in the clouds, as if they did not belong to the realm of mortals. As if we were not even worthy of laying eyes upon them.”

“And yet you conquered them. As you had already conquered them once, when you first set foot on Rhûn”, Gimilzagar pointed out, wondering if this was what his father needed to hear. He had been too cold, exhausted and miserable back then, not to mention struggling with the ghosts which had taken residence in his mind, to appreciate the majestic beauty of the place.

Ar Pharazôn nodded.

“Oh, yes, I did. They put up a good fight, and yet I forced my way through. But for that, I had to make a choice. I had to decide if I wanted to be a man, content with my Sceptre, the woman I loved, my newborn heir and the glorious reputation of ridding the world of the tyranny of Mordor – or if I wanted to become something else. Something greater than all that.” His forehead curved into a frustratingly undecipherable frown. “And there was no turning back from that choice.”

Gimilzagar watched him for what seemed like an endless interval of silence. Meanwhile, his mind was working furiously, trying to determine if he was supposed to speak up or not.

“I chose the higher path. I had those prisoners dragged to the altar, severed their souls from their miserable bodies, and the power of that sacrifice enabled me to fall upon the largest empire the world has ever known like an eagle snatches its prey from the ground. It was then that I knew I was destined for godhood. But the price…” He sighed. “Well, that is the ultimate truth of this world. The price you pay is directly proportional to the scope of what you wish to achieve. Something you know as well as I do, though you never thanked me for acquainting you with this knowledge.”

Now, Gimilzagar was beginning to feel bewildered as to where this was going. Could his father be having second thoughts, at this stage? Could he be feeling remorse for the things he had done? And yet, this did not only fail to tally with any of their past dealings, but it also seemed belied by the steely feel of Ar Pharazôn’s mind against his. But if that was not it, what else could it be?

He decided to risk a sliver of sincerity.

“Why are you telling me this, Father?”

Ar Pharazôn was not angered by this question. Instead, he averted his eyes from the women and fixed them solemnly on Gimilzagar, as if he wished to hold on to this sincerity before it disappeared again.

“The armies of Númenor have pulled away from Rhûn. Now, those mountains have once again become the end of the world.” He seemed to realize that Gimilzagar was about to open his mouth, and made a gesture to silence him. “But I made sure that, this time, there are no more worlds beyond that which belongs to us. We have destroyed the Emperor’s capital, which he made the mistake to abandon to pursue his sneaky tactics elsewhere. All those proud buildings have been torn down, the fields burned, the wells poisoned, and the people put to the sword. If this barbarian wishes to reign over his kingdom, he will have to build himself a new city, a new Palace, and a new Court. Oh, perhaps he will crawl into a cave, where he will feel at home surrounded by bandits, with whom he belongs. “His lips curved in a smile, but even his vindictive glee came across as hollow. “Whatever he does, I care not.”

Gimilzagar needed a while for his throat to be able to swallow the horror away.

“But, my lord King…” he began, as soon as his voice was back. You did this, too, the voice in his mind whispered insidiously. Do you remember the list you used to keep, when you wanted to know if you deserved to live? Take it out, quick, there are some more names to add. “Is that not a risky manoeuvre, to anger a powerful people who can regroup and retaliate against another of our mainland territories, which now lie almost defenceless?”

Ar Pharazôn’s eyes narrowed, as if he was going to be angry, but he merely shrugged.

“Let them regroup. Let them retaliate! When I return from the Undying Lands, I will be waiting for him at the head of my troops. He has already learned to feel the displeasure of a man, but he still has to learn to feel the displeasure of a god.”

To this, the Prince of the West could find no reply worth uttering. Even if he began listing his misgivings about the outcome of the King’s expedition, he was aware that his father would only wave them away. As this conversation had just reminded him, there was too much at stake, and a man who had gambled with his own body and soul and that of everyone who depended on him would no longer listen to prophecies of doom. Little by little, since before Gimilzagar had even been born, every thread of his life had grown inextricably linked into the fabric of the sails that would transport him to the land of the gods to meet his ultimate fate. And Gimilzagar himself had averted the only knife which could have cut them.

“You seem concerned”, Ar Pharazôn said, noticing the furrows in Gimilzagar’s brow. “Do not worry. Our empire will not be diminished by such temporary setbacks. And you do not need to be concerned for the mainland, either. The Númenóreans who live there will be quite well protected, as barbarians will not dare venture in the Bay or beyond the Second Wall of Umbar. Even the Baalim-worshippers have their Elves to watch over them, or so I hear.” His voice was deceptively casual when he spoke of the situation North of the Middle Havens, but Gimilzagar knew very well from other times that this, too, was a matter the King did not intend to drop. “It will not be long now, I promise.”

Not long. Like a dying man’s agony, the Prince thought sombrely, whose only comfort was that it could not last forever. Then, he remembered that he was an exception to that law, from the day he had been snatched as a baby from the warm embrace of death.

“That is good to hear”, he said, averting his eyes from Ar Pharazôn’s smile.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Isildur swallowed, trying not to pay heed to the cramps on his legs, or to the growing feeling of restlessness which threatened to overwhelm him in his current position. He pressed his forehead against his knee, to avoid looking at the wooden lid above his head, whose invisible weight seemed to increase whenever his eyes fell upon it. Outside, it was very long since he had last heard any noises of trampling feet, loud voices, or boxes being dragged, lifted and dropped. Still, he had never been good at calculating time without the sun’s trajectory to help him, not the way Malik had once been. As far as he was concerned, he could have been alone in this hold for an hour, or for an eternity.

At some point, the temptation grew too great, and he raised his arm to move the lid slightly above his head. To his dismay, it was shut from the outside, and it did not budge an inch. He was trapped here, until they came for him. The strength of mind required to put this naked truth out of his mind enough as to settle back into a semblance of normalcy almost failed him this time.

Look at the bright side of this, Isildur, Malik said. If the Governor’s men find you now, you will be too relieved to be out of this box to worry about what they might do to you.

“I should never have come”, he mouthed in a low voice, partly for Malik’s benefit, partly to himself. “The North may be safe now, but Númenor is definitely not, and the risk outweighs the gain by a tenfold.”

Oh, really? He could almost see Malik arching an eyebrow at this affirmation. Since when do you care about risks and gains?

“Well, perhaps it is high time I started thinking about that. Here in the Island, no Elves are going to ride in and save the day. And neither will you, since you are dead.”

Ssssh. Stop spouting nonsense and listen at your surroundings for a moment, the ghost counselled. Isildur froze, suddenly hearing the dilapidated wooden planks of the floor creak under the weight of footsteps. There are younger and better looking men eager to ride in and save your day now, though I do not know if you deserve them.

Somebody began struggling with what must be the box’s closing mechanism, and Isildur tensed, torn between tension and anticipation. When the lid finally burst open, a light blinded him, and he had to blink several times until he realized it was not sunlight, but lamplight. It struck a sharp contrast with the darkness of the warehouse, but as he grew used to its glow, he saw it shine over a set of features he knew and loved. A pair of dark-grey eyes stared back into his, widening in a relief which soon turned into warm anticipation. Underneath them, the mouth curved into what he could recognize as a brave attempt to hide a sudden weakness in his knees.

“You look like a beggar who had spent a month in prison for stealing” Tal Elmar said. Isildur held out his hand to be helped to his feet, as his legs would probably not respond well after the long abuse they had been subjected to. Once he was standing, however, he used the manoeuvre to pull the barbarian close, and claim his mouth in a rough kiss that almost caused the lamp to fall. As Tal Elmar responded to it, he could gradually feel his body wake from its long state of lethargy – even parts of it which he would be unable to exercise now.

“Who had the idea of sending you, of all people?”

“Well, I am not from the house of Andúnië, but they still consider me trustworthy. I am a barbarian, so I do not care about risking my life, and yet I can dissuade Elendur from coming with me”, Tal Elmar replied. “In short, I was the perfect candidate.”

“To me, your life is not worth any less than Elendur’s”, Isildur whispered in his ear. “But I must admit it was the most pleasant surprise to be welcomed back to Númenor by the breathtaking sight of your face.”

Tal Elmar wrinkled his nose in disdain. He had always been remarkably invulnerable to compliments, as if a wild part of him could not understand the form of love that made a loved one’s features appear fair to their lover’s eyes. Isildur had never been one to wax lyrical about such things, but for the barbarian, they seemed to come across as some sort of insult.

“You stink”, was his sole reply. Isildur nodded, letting one of his hands trail across his shaggy, month-long beard. “Which is good. Your merchant friend is outside, waiting for us; as soon as he gives the all-clear, we will have to cross half of Rómenna to get to the Lord’s house. The more you look like a beggar, the less they will stare at you.”

Tal Elmar was right: if he bent his back a little and looked down, leaning on the barbarian and pretending that his legs were still unsteady, none of the people they encountered spared him a second look. Like this, they walked across a maze of streets until the houses grew less frequent, and the sounds and smells of the beach began to assault Isildur’s senses.

“Wait here for a moment”, he said, letting go of Tal Elmar. “I am going to take a bath, so I can look a little more presentable before the Lord and the Lady of Andúnië.”

“But they are waiting for us!” Tal Elmar protested. Isildur ignored him, taking his clothes off. Belatedly, he realized that most of the stench came from them, so he threw them at his lover, who caught them just barely.

“Wash them. Or just soak them in the water, I don’t care. I do not want to smell this again.”

Tal Elmar gave a long-suffering sigh, and watched him head towards the breaking waves and dive in. Once his feet were no longer able to touch the sand at the bottom, he began to swim. At first, his arms and his back ached, as if he had truly become a prisoner inside the crippled beggar’s body, but the more he persevered, the more his former strength and grace kept flowing back into his limbs.

When he finally floated back towards the shore, combing his matted hair with his hands, he felt like Isildur, son of Elendil, for the first time in days. Meanwhile, Tal Elmar had made the most of this delay to wash the filthy clothes, and then wring every drop of water out of them. They were still wet, of course, but at least he would look marginally more dignified when he entered the house.

“How good are you at dry shaving?” Isildur asked, pretending to be evaluating his beard. Tal Elmar stared at him as if he was the most aggravating man he had ever met, and he repressed the urge to laugh. His sense of humour was coming back together with the flow of blood through his veins, the invigorating and cleansing feel of the cold water over his skin, and the sight of the beautiful barbarian before him. For the first time in almost a year, even the grim shadow of his mainland failures seemed to desert him, as if his wars with the Forest People had been nothing but a bad dream. “I was only joking! We will go as soon as I have my clothes on. Though perhaps, before I put them on, we could…”

“There is no time for any of that!” Tal Elmar exclaimed, though Isildur detected the telltale bulge in his throat when he swallowed, and also what could be the shadow of a very different bulge underneath his lower clothing.

“Then, perhaps they should not have sent you”, Isildur sighed, putting his pants on. “You distract me from my purpose.” The barbarian’s eyes widened, but his outrage had no bite behind it. “Next time, they would do better to find someone else.”

He had not been expecting Tal Elmar’s features to sober.

“There will be no next time.” The son of Elendil dropped the left leg, and cursed as the wet fabric fell on the sand.

“What?”

The barbarian walked until he was but inches away from him. His gaze had a newfound intensity that gave Isildur pause.

“Elendur will be twenty years old next Spring. Even for the Númenóreans, he is no longer a child, and there is no more I can teach him”, he said. “The next time you sail to the mainland, I will be by your side, and I will fight for you. It is my privilege as your bonded warrior.”

Of all the things that he could have said, this was perhaps the most unexpected for Isildur. For years, he had grown accustomed to their current arrangement: he would sail to the mainland to fight and rule their colonies, and Tal Elmar would wait for him in Númenor, looking after Elendur and making it much easier for Isildur to keep a cool head and focus on all the other problems at hand. He tried to imagine his lover in Middle-Earth, trying to prevent some ramshackle fort from being overrun by Forest People. Or riding as part of Isildur’s suicidal charge against them, ready to give his life in payment for Isildur’s miscalculation, as Malik had before him. His blood ran cold.

“We will talk about that later”, he replied, in a voice that came out more cutting than he had intended. He tried to soften his tone a little. “As you have reminded me so often in the last hour, we are in a hurry.”

Tal Elmar nodded in silence, though it was obvious from the steely look in his eye that he would not give up on this easily. Isildur sighed, torn between exasperation at his defiance and the contradictory urge to kiss it away. In the end, of course, he did neither.

“Let us go”, he said, pointing vaguely in the direction of the invisible cliff where his father’s house stood.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Elendil and the rest of the family were waiting inside the house, as it was no longer deemed prudent to gather in a place where they could be spotted by the Governor’s spies. Eluzîni was there, eager to embrace her long-lost son, and so was Irissë, her usual penchant for mindless chatter deserting her for an instant as her eyes grew moist with tears. Ilmarë was with them too, standing next to her three nieces –Findis had grown into a woman since the last time Isildur had seen her, thin and shrewd of gaze like her mother-, and so was Anárion, holding a very pregnant Irimë’s hand.

“Congratulations” he said to his brother, remembering the foolish and bitter words they had exchanged years ago, and cringing inwardly at the thought. Anárion nodded, and thanked him in a studied, polite voice.

“We have high hopes for a boy this time”, Irissë remarked. Even she had grown magnanimous in her victory, Isildur thought wryly, though her sister did not seem thankful for the remark. Instead, she tensed, and her smile looked forced.

“Only the Creator may know such things before they happen”, she said. Before Irissë could answer, Elendur came to stand before Isildur, distracting him from the exchange between the sisters.

“Father” he greeted him, with an awkward bow. Gone was the loud boy who jumped into his bed or collided against his legs; in his place, there was a young man whom Isildur barely managed to recognize. Suddenly, it struck him how many years he had been away, attending to other matters, while his son turned into this stranger.

“I am glad to see you, Elendur” he replied, with a solemnity that covered his turmoil. Meanwhile, his eyes were busy trying to take in the young man’s changed appearance. He had grown tall –very tall, perhaps the tallest in the family after Elendil himself. This growth spurt lent him a certain ungainly air when he stood still, as his arms and legs seemed almost too long for the rest of his body. His features had grown sharper, and his resemblance to Isildur much less pronounced. Still, what surprised Isildur more were his eyes, which used to be a faithful mirror of each and every one of the boy’s emotions. Now, they were veiled, and it was no longer possible to read anything in them, aside from a vague discomfort.

“Your father has missed you very much” he heard Tal Elmar say. “He has been asking many questions about your progress.”

This barefaced lie made Elendur smile, not openly as when he was younger, but it was still a smile. Isildur tried not to feel guilty about this. He would have asked about Elendur at some point, if the way had been longer, and there had been more time. And besides, it was not his fault that his son had receded into a back corner of his mind: if they had not sent him to the mainland to do the dirty work of the Faithful, he would have had the chance to know him much better.

Right. Because you would have loved to spend twenty years here, with no duties but being a good husband to the Lady Irissë and a proper father to Elendur.

“Tomorrow, you will show him everything you can do” Tal Elmar continued. The young man opened his mouth, as if to protest, but the barbarian gave him a significant look and he closed it again. It was the first time that Isildur had seen his lover look up at Elendur, but this circumstance did not seem to affect the nature of their interactions in the slightest. “And then, you will tell him.”

“Tell me what?” Isildur asked. Tal Elmar, however, just shrugged, and ushered Elendur out of the way so Elendil could approach him.

The new lord of Andúnië had never been the most amiable of men, at least as far as Isildur was concerned. He knew it was different with others, like their mother, or even Anárion, but whenever Elendil was in the presence of his older son, his demeanour was guarded, and he barely managed to hide his disapproval. Now, since Lord Amandil had sailed to Valinor never to return, he was the leader of the Faithful in this darkest of times, and the look with which he levelled Isildur as he stopped in his tracks before him was enough to tell him that his father’s tolerance for wayward sons was lower than ever.

And your leg to stand on is shakier than ever, Malik remarked.

“Well met, Father”, Isildur said, with a somewhat exaggerated bow. “Though I could not be present at your accession ceremony, I salute you and acknowledge you as nineteenth lord of the House of Andúnië.”

“Thank you”, Elendil replied gravely. Then, before Isildur could speak again, he extended a hand towards him. “Come. We must speak.”

“Now?” Eluzîni asked, visibly surprised. “But, Elendil, our son is just back from an exhausting journey. His wife and son…”

“Yes, now.” He met her frown with his own gaze. “But do not worry, Eluzîni, this will hardly take long.”

This promise seemed to put an end to her objections. Left to his fate, Isildur took the proffered hand and allowed his father to usher him into his private study, steeling himself for whatever else might follow.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Elendil had never resembled his father much, and when it came to leadership, Isildur suspected that he was going to follow his own mind as well. When Isildur was starting his mainland venture, Amandil had forced him to report often, inquired after every last detail and scolded him for not following his orders, but this attitude had had its edge gradually blunted by the years. The former lord of Andúnië was too old, too tired to face the challenges beyond the Great Sea, and the struggle between his conscience and his duty had proved too hard to withstand. This had created a power vacuum which Isildur had immediately used to his advantage, in order to act like the undisputed ruler of the northern colonies. Even Anárion had left the scene, prudently claiming that there was nothing else with which he could be of help to his brother. Free from his meddlesome family, the older son of Elendil had managed his alliances, his conquests, his defences and his army with an authority which remained undisputed for years –until the fateful day when disaster struck.

Of course, it had not been Isildur’s fault that Ar Pharazôn decided to evacuate the defences of the timber corridor and left them at the mercy of attacks from the South. Where he had been at fault, and grievously so, was when he believed himself capable to deal with this threat on his own. He had employed all his resources to prepare for war, sparing no thought for evacuation – after all, evacuation would mean failure, and he could never fail, could he? Whenever he remembered the moment when he had charged against the enemy horde in his last, desperate stand, and recalled how he had come to the sudden realization that no matter how great a warrior he was, or how bravely he behaved on the battlefield, the North would still be lost and the colonists would die, he was tormented by the terrible flaw he had discovered in the thread of thought which had led him there. How could he call himself a leader, if he could not accord the same importance to other people’s lives than to his own glory and pride?

That was why he had not objected when the Elves called in by his father had saved the day. He had welcomed them with open arms when they proceeded to reorganize their Northern possessions, help them build new defences, and overall behave with a superior, holier-than-thou attitude which Isildur would have found intolerable at any other circumstance. He had not even said anything when they insisted on leaving an “advisor” upon their departure, who never shut his mouth about how he considered that most of Men’s wars could be avoided if they learned to treat other Men differently, as if Elves had never fought among themselves or killed those of their same blood. But for all this time, he had known that everything had been Father’s idea, and that Lord Amandil had nothing to do with it.

Now, as he sat in the small study and gave his report on all those happenings, answering every question with grudging accuracy and thinking of how much his head was starting to ache, he was careful not to appear either ashamed or antagonistic. For he knew that Elendil would pick on any of those two feelings, and use it against him. Still, though he evaded the most obvious openings for the attack, he should have known that the new Lord of Andúnië would not be so easily deterred.

“I trust you will have learned a number of valuable lessons from your failure”, he said at last, fixing him with an intent, judgemental look that Isildur could no longer pretend he had not seen. Reluctantly, he lifted his hands from the surface of the table and laid them on his lap, feeling like a small child.

“I will not overestimate my strength again”, he said. Elendil’s eyes only narrowed a little further. “And I will not let my pride matter more than the lives of the people under my leadership.”

This time, his father nodded, but the frown remained upon his brow.

“That is correct. I have seen this pride before, Isildur. I see it, feel it, suffer under it every day, and I will not tolerate it beyond the Sea. Our fellow Men are not pawns to be risked or discarded for the sake of our personal glory. The Former Lord thought we could turn a blind eye on your defiance as long as you accomplished what you set out to do, but if the current state of affairs in Númenor has taught us something, it is that the greatest accomplishments will only serve as stepping stones for the prideful man’s ultimate fall.”

The accusation implied in his father’s words made Isildur bristle, even despite his better judgement.

“Is that what you see me as? A second Ar Pharazôn? Do you think Sauron could convince me tomorrow to invade Valinor, and cut people open as a gift to his god?”

Though Elendil’s expression did not change visibly, his features grew a little paler at this.

“After you have been here for a month, you will no longer speak so flippantly about Sauron’s sacrifices. Nor should you speak flippantly about Ar Pharazôn. When he was your age he was a great man, sincerely admired by many, including Father and me. Tyrants are not born, they are made, and you will never become one while I live.”

Well, at least now you know why he does not like you, Malik chose the inconvenient moment to whisper in his ear.

“Well, then.” The words came out from his mouth, as if of their own volition. “Perhaps you can send Anárion in my stead, and make him your heir. He has always been the better candidate, hasn’t he? And now, he is probably even going to have a son, who will be as perfect as his father in every single way.”

At long last, Elendil’s eyes widened, even if he mastered his emotions fast.

“That is not, and has never been, my intent. If Anárion makes a mistake, there will always be others to tell him about it. But if a ruler who does not need to listen to anyone makes a mistake, and he is too proud to admit it, he will persevere with it until the bitter end. You are going to be this ruler, not him, and that is why you, not him, are the subject of my concern.”

Isildur took a very long intake of breath.

“I admitted it.” And he knew what he had done, damn it, without the need for anyone browbeating him into recognizing his mistakes. “I admitted it, didn’t I? And I welcomed those Elves, followed their advice, and did everything they asked. Because I knew they had saved me. I knew you had saved me when you managed to convince them to sail South, and all the lecturing they put me through was your idea as well. So I had to listen to it. What else do I need to do, fall on my knees and beg for forgiveness?”

“I will be content if you keep it in mind, not only while the memories of what happened are still fresh, but in the future as well.” Of course he would never surrender an inch, Isildur thought, his head throbbing again. “Even after I am gone.”

It might have been a trick of the light, but for a moment it seemed to him that Elendil looked very, very tired - and older than he had ever seen him. They may have been as different as night and day, but Isildur knew how much he had loved his father, to the point of following his lead whether he agreed with him or not. He tried to imagine a scenario where Elendil no longer walked upon the earth, and there was no one left in the house of Andúnië who could tell him what to do. Would he feel devastated, like the man before him, or liberated?

Perhaps your father already knows the answer to that. It would explain his behaviour.

“I will”, he promised, in his best earnest tone. Elendil appeared to be considering him at length.

“And you will stay here for the time being. With the Elves watching over our mainland colonies, and our King too busy to pay attention to them, danger is no longer as pressing beyond the Sea, and leaving the Island without authorization has turned into a suicidal mission.”

“But….” Isildur tried to object, though he was silenced before he could continue.

“The end is getting near. Ar Pharazôn’s fleet is ready to depart, and he will be setting the date any day now. I have commissioned ships to various builders in Sor and Rómenna under false names, all I have been able to without attracting suspicion, so we can escape and take as many people as we can with us. We have to contact and organize them while the eye of the Governor remains fixed on us, avoid his snares, and lose as few people to his vindictive fires as we can manage. If you want to risk your life, you can risk it here and help us. “His forehead curved into a frown again. “Also, it will do you good to spend time with your loved ones. Enjoy the company of your wife, your son, and Tal Elmar, and meditate on the consequences of having their lives pay for your mistakes in the future.”

Isuldur tried to swallow, but his mouth was suddenly too dry. Then, he tried to speak, but no words came to his mind. As if he was aware of everything that was going on inside him, this time Elendil waited calmly until he managed to put together an answer.

“Yes, Father”, he said at last - not the wittiest of responses, but the only one he could come across at the moment. “I will… do that.”

“Very well”, Elendil nodded. “You may retire now, and rest, as I promised your mother that you would. Other discussions can be postponed for a later date.”

Isildur did need to hear this twice. Giving his father a perfunctory bow, he left the room, and walked away as fast as if a horde of Orcs was chasing him.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

The next morning, Elendil made good on his word of letting him rest, at least long enough to mull over his words, Isildur thought resentfully. In compensation, he was treated by Irissë to the extended tale of Irimë’s pregnancy, and to every detail of the pitfalls it had encountered since its inception eight months ago. The sight of her sister’s swollen belly, moreover, and of the way Anárion waited on her hand and foot, seemed to have inspired his wife with the wish for a new baby of her own. Elendur was already too old to fulfil her need for a little boy she could spoil rotten, but still too young to be able to give her grandchildren. Isildur realized he had grown a little too comfortable with their previous arrangement, where she would refrain from clinging to him all day long. He fended her off as best as he could, though he was unpleasantly aware that he would not be able to do so forever. Not with Elendil name-dropping Tal Elmar in the middle of their business conversations.

As things were, it was in a preoccupied, listless mood that he was led away from the house, to be presented with a demonstration of how proficient Elendur had become at every fighting and survival skill Tal Elmar had taught him. Watching his son at his endeavours, however, he could not help but forget about his troubles enough to feel impressed at the shift that came upon the boy’s awkward demeanour and ungainly pose. Suddenly, it was as if there was not a muscle of his body he was not in control of, or a finger or a toe out of place. He was a silent hunter, an agile climber, and a very hardy and resilient fighter. Anything the barbarian told him to do, he did brilliantly, with an expertise that must have cost him sweat and tears. Tal Elmar had become the boy’s father now, Isildur realized, wondering where on Earth did that leave him.

Oh, don’t be so hasty to surrender your claim. Look at how he stares at you whenever he thinks you haven’t noticed, trying to catch a gleam of approval. And he is so nervous about what he is meant to ask you that he has not been able to pull his courage and do it yet, Malik remarked, arching an eyebrow. Surprised, he sought his son’s gaze as the young man was fitting an arrow on his bow, and saw him look away hurriedly. After he completed the shot, Isildur decided to compliment it. The flush of pride he saw on Elendur’s cheeks was only replaced by a look of renewed determination.

“Father”, he said, approaching him. “There is… something I would like to ask you.”

“I was wondering if we would ever get to that”, Isildur observed, crossing his arms over his chest and turning towards Tal Elmar, who had not moved from his side in all that time. At first, the barbarian did not give signs of being in any way involved in this, and yet before Elendur spoke again, he nodded in his direction.

“I have learned many things. I know how to survive in a hostile land, and how to fight my enemies. And… I will be twenty years old soon. In the mainland, a twenty-year old can marry, even have children.”

“Do you wish to marry?” Isildur joked, though the more he could guess where this was going, the less amused he felt. “Your mother would be happy to hear that.”

“No!” The disgust Elendur seemed to feel at the very idea made him appear for a moment like his father’s son through and through. “What I wanted to say was that… I wish to sail to the mainland with you and Tal Elmar, Father. I wish to fight by your side. And I do not say this as a child who does not know what perils may lie in waiting. I know all about the mainland, and I am prepared to face the risks.”

Isildur’s fears were confirmed. First, he stared at his son, who, shifting his weight from one leg to another like an impatient child, was inadvertently undermining his own case. Then, he turned his gaze towards Tal Elmar again.

“Well, to begin with, you cannot know about a place where you have never been, and to believe that you do only proves how young you still are. And secondly, I have not even given my permission for Tal Elmar to accompany me yet.”

If looks could kill, the barbarian might be claiming his life right now.

“You cannot deny me this. I am your bonded warrior, not a woman, and it is not in your power to force me to stay home.”

“And I am not a child anymore! Aunt and Uncle told me how young you were when you first sailed to Harad!”

Meditate on the consequences of having their lives pay for your mistakes in the future, his father had said. Though he should know better, a tiny, mad part of Isildur’s brain had to wonder if it was Elendil who had put them up to this.

“This is not Agar. This is Númenor, where bonded warriors do not exist, where you are just a barbarian under my protection, and you are definitely still a child” he said, more hotly than he had intended. “So you will both do as I say.”

Elendur seemed about to argue, but Tal Elmar shook his head, and gestured at him to stay back as he endeavoured to follow Isildur’s pace down the path that led towards the beach.

By the time they reached the roaring surf, his irrational anger had started to abate, but not the darkness veiling his mind.

“I apologize” he said, letting the cold water break against his feet. “For speaking to you like that.”

Tal Elmar approached, moving as silently as he always did.

“It was Elendur you hurt, not me. I know you and your stupid Númenórean ways, that say that you cannot love me without treating me like a woman, for that is the only kind of love that you are able to understand. But he does not know you so well, and his worst fear is that you will see him as a child.”

“Well, he is.”

Tal Elmar did not argue this affirmation.

“Was it so dreadful, what happened in the mainland?” he asked, instead. “I heard the story, but I would rather hear it from you.”

“Oh, there is not much I can add to what you already know.” Isildur shrugged, forcing a smile. “I was led astray by my foolish pride, as my father reminded me just yesterday, doomed the people I was supposed to protect, and then led all my men into a suicidal mission in an attempt to redeem myself. Though that, of course, would not have helped the rest of the people who died because I had not evacuated them when I could. And now, I am only alive because a bunch of sanctimonious Elves came to save me at my father’s request.” His forehead curved into a painful frown. “If you or Elendur died because of me, I would never forgive myself.”

“I see.” Tal Elmar nodded gravely. “Then, I suppose you will be able to understand my problem, as it has to do with guilt as well. If you fell and I, your bonded warrior, was not by your side to defend you, I would never forgive myself. In fact, I would have to kill myself, and even in death, I would be dishonoured.”

Isildur’s eyes widened in incredulity.

“If I died, nobody would blame you!”

The barbarian shook his head in contempt.

“Nobody would need to, Isildur. Because this is a shame that comes from the inside, not the outside. Just like my love for you. And Elendur’s.”

Isildur needed to inhale sharply before he could speak again.

“And what is his excuse? Surely you would not want him to die with us! You have practically raised him yourself, by all the Valar!”

“You cannot raise a boy if you refuse to recognize his right to become a man when the time comes. For what else have you been striving for? I spoke only for myself, but I recognize his right to speak for himself, too. Otherwise, I would have two faces: one to ask you to respect my wishes, despite your attachment to me, and another to deny his, because of my attachment to him.”

“A colourful way to define hypocrisy.” Isildur was feigning nonchalance, but he was very far from feeling it. “As it happens, Tal Elmar, right now we are all stranded here: him, you, and me. Father does not want me to leave for the time being. I do not know how long this will last, if Sauron will destroy us first, or if perhaps that Wave we keep seeing in our dreams will drown us. But the day I can go back to the mainland, you would do well to remember that the man I loved died for me long before you were even born. And if I have to treat you like a woman to prevent this from happening again, I will.”

For once, Tal Elmar looked truly speechless. As he opened and closed his mouth like a fish underwater, he seemed torn between the highly contradictory emotions of pity and aggravation.

“What if you leave me behind as you left the settlers, Isildur, only for me to die far away from you?” he asked at last. “What if there is no longer a way to ensure my safety? Back when I lived in Agar, we all knew that if the warriors were defeated, the village was lost. That was why we would never have thought of leaving warriors behind.” In his excited state, his whole body straightened up, and suddenly he seemed to rise above his limited height. “Your kinsmen say that your Island is doomed, Isildur. And in the mainland, women and children are never safe. Never. The sooner you come to terms with that, the better.”

Come to terms. Or meditate on them, as Elendil had put it. However it was worded, Isildur could not do any such thing without Malik getting on the way; not the companionable ghost who never left him, but the man of flesh and blood who had burned in Sauron’s altar after saving Isildur and refusing to betray him. You must be happy, Father, he thought. There are things that matter more than pride to me, after all.

“You will be, if I send you with the Elves. They might be glad to have a true Forest Man staying with them, so they can analyse the primitive, irrational impulse that leads him to feel responsible for the life of another man without a reason.”

“You are the one being irrational! You, the one feeling responsible for the life of another man without a reason!” Even as he walked away, Tal Elmar’s voice was loud on his ears. “How did you say it was called just now? Oh, yes - hypocrisy!”

Isildur did not grace that with an answer, and neither did he pay any heed to Malik when the ghost shook his head at him.

 

 

Plans and Conspiracies

Read Plans and Conspiracies

Ûriphel held her breath as she went down on the bathtub, more out of instinct than because she was truly repelled by the warm, red liquid that engulfed her legs. The nausea and horror she had experienced the first times had largely faded by now, and their place had been taken, first by fascination and then, as everything which had once appeared impossible suddenly began to appear possible, by a mounting giddiness which made her feel as if she was floating. She heard the chanting as if coming from a great distance, the mysterious words slowly penetrating her mind and filling it with a pleasurable haze. As they did, she began to fall in a trance, where she was no longer aware of the movements of her own body. At some point, she must have dived underneath the surface, because she felt a little breathless and her nostrils filled with the powerful scent of blood. But then, she was standing before the Fire again, her arms wide open, and her skin looked radiant and clean under her gaze. Like a goddess.

“You are a goddess now. My goddess”, he said, and her toes curled at the way his eyes darkened when he set them on her naked body.

“May I have a mirror?” she asked in a sudden, childish impulse. This time, the eyes showed disapproval.

“Goddesses do not need mirrors. Mirrors are nothing but the product of mortal foolishness. Back when I met you, you were a pathetic little girl who stood before them all day, seeking in vain what they would never be able to give you. I can make your wishes come true, but you will never succeed as long as the pathetic little girl still lives inside you.”

“I- am sorry. You are right, Your Holiness”, she replied, blushing in shame. He shook his head.

“You must try harder. There is too much at stake. Pity for the girl who gazed at mirrors in a vain attempt to please him did not earn you access to his heart before, and it will not do so now.” He advanced towards her, and his long, thin hand cupped her breast firmly, then gradually trailed down her flawless belly. She shivered, her soul bursting with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. “But he will not be able to refuse a goddess.”

Her body held out well to his scrutiny, and as he knelt to inspect her toes, she caught the glimpse of a pleased smile which made her heart soar. Ûriphel had lost count of how many times she had undergone this ritual, of how many victims had laid down their lives for their blood to wash away the pathetic little girl’s most recalcitrant imperfections. Before she had become his goddess, she had been his work of art for a long time, difficult and energy-consuming, but rewarding.

“Turn around” he ordered. She did so, braiding her long hair over her shoulder so it would not hide anything. By now, she had almost succeeded in smothering down her unseemly craving for a mirror, and as she stood proudly there, it even began to dawn upon her that she might no longer have anything to feel ashamed about. “Excellent. Almost done.”

Ûriphel froze, forcefully jolted away from her pleasant thread of thought.

“A- almost?” she asked. The accursed word became stuck in her throat, and she had visible difficulty getting it out. “But I thought…”

She could not see his face, as she was giving him her back. After a brief pause, however, she could hear his footsteps, and he stopped before her line of sight. He shook his head, and she knew she had disappointed him again with her ill-advised reaction.

“Your body is perfect, but your mind is not. Alas, there are no rituals which can wash away the mortal ugliness from there.”

“I am sorry”, she said, trying to swallow away the knot from her throat. She hated falling short of his expectations, and to have him call her ugly brought frantic tears to her eyes. Quickly, she lowered her gaze, though she was aware that such foolish tricks would not prevent him from knowing exactly how she felt.

He let go of a soft breath.

“I could train you.” Hopefully, she looked up, but he greeted her enthusiasm with a severe expression. “But you must sear this in fire in your mind, Ûriphel: the greatest power I have bestowed upon you will not avail you unless you learn how to use it. If you fail to do that, all this will have been for nothing. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Your Holiness”, she nodded fervently. “I will do anything you require of me. Anything, I swear.”

“Good.” He retreated a couple of steps, his forehead curving in a thoughtful frown. “Then we will start right away.”

“Should I… get dressed?”

To her surprise, Lord Zigûr shook his head.

“No.” At a brisk pace, he headed towards the door of his chambers, unlocked it, and spoke some words that she could not make out. Then, she heard a scuffle, accompanied by groans and hard voices, and the door was opened wide. Any fears that the Princess of the West could have experienced at the thought that outsiders could see her naked in the High Priest’s rooms, however, proved weaker than her shock at what she saw.

It was a man, if such a name could be bestowed upon the pitiful criminals who sat in chains in the bowels of the Temple, awaiting their turn to feed the fires of the Great Deliverer. This one did not seem to have been there for as long as others, and he was also a Númenórean, so he still retained the tiniest part of the strength and dignity he had once possessed as a free man. But this only served to make the contrast with his dishevelled appearance, the tearing of his eyes as they were blinded by the light, and his badly repressed terror all the more striking. When they threw him against the floor and left him twitching and groaning there, his beady, blinking eyes fell upon Lord Zigûr first. The sight immediately made him flinch.

“What do you want from me?” he asked, in a croaking voice that grew louder and shriller by the moment. “What do you want from me?”

Ûriphel retreated instinctively, wishing to be as far away as possible from this unpleasant spectacle. She knew that Zigûr had the power to make those struggles abate, and that he could make the victims abandon their terror and hostility and surrender meekly to their fate. She had seen them offer themselves to the knife hundreds of times, once they understood the role they had been chosen to play and accepted it. But this time, he was not using his power, and the result was ugly and disturbing. Once the man had managed to work himself into a frenzy with his unanswered questions, he even tried to stand on his shaky legs and attempt a desperate flight.

It was then that he saw her. His eyes grew wide, and he froze in his tracks, shaking. Suddenly, Ûriphel wished to cover herself, to hide from this harrowing gaze that surveyed her with a fear that turned into wonder, then into a hatred dissolving in sheer awe.

“What… what devilry is this?” he whispered. “I will not… I cannot…never…” His voice dissolved into a jumble of disconnected utterings, and she shook her head, crossing her arms in an attempt to hide her nakedness from his eyes. She sought Zigûr in the shadows behind him, to beg him to make all of it go away. Why was he putting her through this? Had she displeased him that much that he wanted to make her feel miserable and uncomfortable, to show her how much of a pitiful mortal she was?

“This is your training”, Zigûr replied to her unvoiced thoughts. “If you wish to be a goddess, you need to make Men worship you. This is a frightened, weak specimen which should not be difficult to sway. See how he gazes at you: even though he fears for his life, he cannot prevent his body from responding to your presence.” His lips curved in a disdainful smile. “Persuade him that death is a small price to pay for the privilege of laying eyes upon your beauty.”

“I… I cannot…” she began, but her voice died in her lips when she remembered her promise. Nervously, he gazed in the man’s direction again, and saw him look down abruptly as soon as he felt her eyes on him. Taken by a sudden feeling of recklessness, she smiled at him. And then, she saw it – the unmistakeable shadow of a bulge under the man’s rags.

Zigûr was right. He desired her, needed her, and this need was stronger even than his hatred and his fear. A heady feeling took hold of her mind at the thought, and her limbs began tingling with an unknown emotion as the full implications of the power she now possessed grew apparent to her.

“Come here”, she ordered, her hand beckoning in his direction. He obeyed so fast that she almost retreated from the shock of having him at such close proximity. The powerful smell of sweat and urine assaulted her nostrils, dampening her exultation. She did not want him to touch her. He was dirty, wicked and disgusting, the lowest of the low. When he extended a reverent hand in her direction, she grew afraid again.

“Go away!” she shouted. The man’s hand fell, and he blinked, as if he was striving to wake from a strange dream. Lord Zigûr did not look happy at all.

“Let go of your mortal weakness! Shame, disgust, indecision, self-loathing… they are but as many chains keeping you tied to the contemptible being you were once.” His voice was reduced to a hiss, a rare expression of anger that shook her to the core. “And that contemptible being will never rule the Prince, the Island, this man, or even her own weakness! She will never understand the true meaning of power.”

It was hard to keep her eyes from tearing, but Ûriphel was determined not to fail again. For a second time, she stood tall and uncovered her body, trying to recapture the glorious feeling of being beautiful and powerful, and untouched by mortal flaws. As she did so, it dawned upon her that there was a delicate symmetry to the process: it was the emotions she saw reflected on his face what made her feel confident, but, at the same time, this confidence was what boosted her power to enslave his senses.

Still, it was when he was on his knees before her, kissing her feet, that the greatest revelation was granted to her. She did not have to let this pitiful creature do anything to her that she did not want. If she ordered him to stop, he would stop. If she ordered him to follow her like a dog, he would do so. He was fully hers, to command as she wanted, not the other way around.

“And that, Princess, is the true meaning of power”, Zigûr nodded warmly. Ûriphel had never felt so proud of herself in her life.

“Stop”, she ordered. The man immediately raised his head, with an inquiring look. Little by little an idea, previously unthinkable but now somehow as trivial as the decision to have an exotic flower planted in her garden or a new dress made, began to grow in her mind.

“Answer me this. “Her lips curved in the sweetest smile she could conjure. “Am I the most beautiful woman in the world?”

“Yes, my lady” he answered without hesitation. She nodded.

“Does my beauty bring you pleasure?”

He swallowed.

“More than anything in the world, my lady.”

“And would you die for it?”

Up until this moment, Zigûr had been listening to their exchange from a distance. When she asked this question, however, he started walking slowly in their direction.

The man looked baffled, and for a moment, she could almost see a gleam of his old self struggling to emerge.

“Why, my lady? Why would I have to… die?”

It did not take her long to regain her bearings.

“Because this beauty was a gift from the Great Deliverer to me. And all his gifts require payment – in blood. That is why you are here: to keep my beauty alive in this world. Would you do this for me?”

“I…” His agitation was mounting, together with the visible signs of his struggle. Zigûr stopped near him, the knife in his hand. “I do not believe….in the Great Deliverer. His gifts are evil. You should not… seek them. You should not… sacrifice…”

He was going back to himself. Ûriphel’s feeling of alarm rose, and she felt the urge to stand back, away from his reach in case he would try to attack her. Only Zigûr’s frown prevented her from surrendering to this panic. As she tried to recover control of the situation once more, it suddenly dawned on her what she had to do, which such specific level of detail that it did not leave room for hesitation. Cupping his face in her hands, she kissed him in the mouth; a gentle, probing kiss no one had ever taught her, but which seemed to come to her as naturally as if she did it every day.

Gradually, his struggles subsided. The next time she disengaged herself from him, very carefully, he no longer seemed confused. His eyes were set on her, with an adoration that would withstand any test, and his old self had retreated as deep as if it had never existed.

It was done. She had won.

“I will die for you, my lady. I will die for you a hundred, a thousand times if necessary. I- I love you more than my own life.”

The High Priest’s blade sunk on the back of his neck with such precision that he fell like a man struck by lightning, the last smile still etched upon his features. Ûriphel stood up, gazing at the rivulets of blood spreading across the white marble floor. Some of it had spattered her right leg, and Zigûr knelt before her to wipe it thoroughly.

“There”, he said, almost with tenderness, as he finished his work. “Now, you are perfect again.”

Ûriphel smiled.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

In the last years, it had grown increasingly rare for the house of Andúnië to catch a glimpse of light through the heavy mantle of black clouds hanging over their heads. Small victories snatched from the jaws of defeat were all they could aspire to, such as Isildur arriving home safely, or one of the wanted Faithful managing to evade the vigilance of the Governor’s men to escape the Island. But to have an actual motive of celebration, where they could drink wine and have it warm their hearts and not merely their chests, was a feeling they had almost forgotten.

That was why Elendil had not hesitated for once to spend their direly-needed money in food and drink, as the whole family gathered together to celebrate the birth of Anárion’s first son. Ilmarë had even seen her father smile, perhaps for the first time since Lord Amandil sailed away. Taking their cue from him, everybody else seemed to have forgotten their troubles for a day, in the loud, slightly reckless way in which soldiers lost in enemy land would feast on the eve of a decisive battle. Ilmarë’s mother gushed over her new grandson, while his three sisters bickered over whose turn it was to hold him and argued about which side of the family he favoured. Irissë was nice and helpful to her sister, Isildur proposed toast after toast and had his cup refilled after every one of them, and Anárion seemed to have foregone all his duties and concerns to exist in some kind of haze. To Ilmarë, he had the air of someone who was not quite sure of where he was standing. Now and then, he would gaze at the baby and appear to lose track of time and the conversations taking place around him, only to emerge from his trance a while later, like a man who had been sleepwalking.

Ilmarë, however, had been present for the split second of weakness that Irimë had been unable to hide as the child was taken from her bedside. That was why, the second he became restless again, she rushed to claim him in her arms, and firmly announced that she was taking him back to his mother.

When she was ushered into the darkness of the birthing room, a heavy smell of herbs, which barely managed to disguise the acrid scent of sweat and blood, assaulted her nostrils –and with it, an unexpected torrent of unwelcome memories. Before she noticed what she was doing, she was holding her bundle with a tighter grip than it was advisable. The child started crying harder, and Irimë stirred under the covers.

“Bring him”, she said, in a hoarse voice. The birth had been difficult, and the healer had advised her not to move so as to not disturb the stitches he had been forced to put on her. Still, despite the fact that she must have felt pain doing it, she did not even wince as she pulled herself to an erect position to allow Ilmarë to lay her son on her lap.

“Here you are”, Elendil’s daughter smiled, forcing away the memories of her own lost child. “Meneldil was… missing his mother.”

What was the matter with her? It was long since her thoughts had been this scattered, or her emotions this out of control. Fíriel had long ago ceased to be a child, let alone a newborn baby sent away from her side while she was still recovering from childbirth. Even when she featured in her confusing dreams, she was a woman, a fully-grown woman running from the towering waves.

Irimë snorted.

“He is missing his food. Call the nurse in.”

It might have been a side-effect of her current mood, but it seemed to Ilmarë that, once again, there was some feeling the woman before her was striving hard to hide. She swallowed, wondering if she should remark upon it and risk another quarrel with her sister-in-law.

The grey eyes narrowed as they looked up at her.

“What is it?”

“Nothing.” She shrugged it away, and walked towards the door to usher the woman in. Still, she took good care to draw a chair for her as close to Irimë as possible, so the mother would be able to watch him feed. For a while, they fell silent, their attention absorbed by the child’s fussing and crying until he finally discovered the way to his source of nourishment. “I am very happy for you. I know for how long you have wanted this child.”

Irimë gave her a long, inscrutable glance. Then, once she decided that Ilmarë was simply trying to be friendly, she relaxed.

“It took him a long time to arrive. Who could have imagined that Mother’s heritage would live so strongly in me? It was Irissë who was supposed to be like her”, she said, shaking her head. “I must admit I was close to losing faith sometimes. I thought that perhaps I was not meant to… that we were not meant to…” At some point, she seemed to grow aware that she was going to betray some inconvenient thought, and felt silent. Her eyes, however, were still on the baby, and for a moment Ilmarë could see it clearly, and without a shadow of a doubt: a fierce, proprietary love which no nurses, husbands, or kin would ever be allowed to challenge. A love which would be the child’s greatest treasure- and his greatest burden at the same time.

“I…” The nurse changed Meneldil’s position with an ease born from years of experience. This time, it was less difficult for the baby to figure out what he had to do. Whenever he opened them, Ilmarë had to reluctantly agree with Findis’ assessment earlier: he had his mother’s clever eyes. And behind them, she could almost guess at the first stirrings of a subtle spirit Irimë would be able to mould in her own image; a man to rule over millions, and shoulder responsibilities she was not allowed to have.

She shivered at this sudden bout of foresight. He looked so small… so frail and defenceless.

“I… well, I am aware I am the last person who should give any advice about raising a child…”

Irimë’s eyes hardened.

“Then, please, do not. Life is difficult for us now, but our path will only grow steeper in the future, full of hard choices and sacrifices” she said, with such certainty in her voice that Ilmarë suspected she must also possess some form of foresight. “And Meneldil is the first in the house of Andúnië who will not have the time to be a child.”

Ilmarë swallowed as the shiver came back, this time with greater intensity. The disarray evoked by her sister-in-law’s words was so deep that she did not even find it in herself to utter any retort. Still, Irimë did not look at all triumphant. Instead, the gaze she set on her infant son was heavy, and for some reason that she could not even explain to herself, Ilmarë wanted to embrace her.

“But what are you doing? You should not turn your back on our first day of merriment in years to sit in the gloom of this chamber with me”, her sister-in-law spoke at last, with a tight smile. “Go back with the others, and tell them that Meneldil has been properly fed, and that we are both well. And then you could drink some wine for me.”

Though there was nothing Ilmarë was looking less forward to, she could not refuse such a direct invitation to leave. When she found herself back at the feast, however, her temples began throbbing with a growing headache, and it was not long since she excused herself and returned to her own rooms.

That night, as she fell asleep, she dreamed of Fíriel again. This time, her daughter was not trying to outrun the great wave: instead, she was in a temple, lying on a sacrificial altar. Her heart was being carved out of her chest, and yet she was smiling.

Irimë is right, Mother, she said. Our path is full of hard choices and sacrifices. And you cannot protect your children from them, for that power was never given to you.

Ilmarë woke up screaming.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Fíriel woke up with a start. Her forehead was covered in sweat, and her heartbeat was accelerated, as if she had had a nightmare, but she could not remember what it had been about. Still, while she let her gaze trail across her surroundings, faintly lit by moonlight, she could not get rid of the feeling that somewhere, somehow, a terrible thing had happened.

“Stupid girl”, she mumbled aloud, wondering why she needed to hear the sound of her own voice so badly. “Terrible things are always happening.” That she was hidden away from the world did not mean she did not know about the Númenóreans sacrificed upon altars of fire, Sauron’s growing ascendancy, the expedition against the Valar being set for this Spring, or the dangers her family was facing in Rómenna. Or the dangers she was always facing herself, she added mentally. At some point, the mind’s tolerance for dark thoughts would grow high enough that nothing but the sheer irrationality of dreams could achieve what all those impending threats and invisible ghosts were no longer able to do.

“My- my lady is asleep” Isnayet’s voice, low but clearly audible in the silence of the night, caught her ears. Still skittish from her dream, Fíriel tensed, and though the fear of an unwelcome guest was short-lived, her heartbeat would not be so easily stilled. He had not come to her in months- and even when he used to visit her more often, he rarely ever did so in the middle of the night.

The door opened, and suddenly, she found herself staring into a gaping abyss that threatened to swallow her. In shock, she retreated, forgetting that the bed was right behind her until she tripped and fell on it.

Gimilzagar did not even seem to notice this. As he walked towards her, he looked like a soulless, moving statue, like the first Dwarves in the old tale of their creation by Aulë.

“Gimilzagar…” She swallowed. “Gimilzagar, what happened to you?”

The Prince of the West’s looming figure gave no signs of recognition at the sound of his name. Instead, he stopped in his tracks, and looked past her, as if he could not even see she was there. As if he had gone blind.

“Come here.” Since they were children, Fíriel always had the tendency to act on impulse wherever Gimilzagar was concerned, and sometimes, those impulses had been the right ones. “Here. With me. Yes, like this. Very good.”

Slowly, her crooning voice and her hands, warm against the terrifying coldness of his, managed to manoeuvre him into a sitting position by her side. Once he was there, she engulfed him in an embrace, and felt his limbs shivering uncontrollably against hers. For a long while, which seemed to stretch towards eternity, neither spoke a word.

Later, as the shivers finally started to subside, Fíriel found herself unable to keep her burning curiosity and worry at bay.

“What happened?” she asked, leaving a light kiss on his pale cheek. “Who… who did this?”

She was not expecting him to burst into tears. In fact, she had not seen him cry since they were both children, in Rómenna long ago.

“I- I am sorry. I am s-sorry, Fíriel. Forgive me. P-please, f-forgive me.”

Her throat suddenly went dry.

“Why?”

It took him a very long time to calm down, and longer than that for his utterings to make sense. As he strove to put his thoughts in order and turn them into words, Fíriel even had the strange impression that he was trying to make sense of what had happened to him. On the previous evening, the Princess of the West had requested a private meeting, and though he did not want to see her, he had found no reason to refuse. She claimed she had something important to tell him, and he had vaguely sensed some sort of trap. But as long as Zigûr was not with her, he had felt safe enough.

When it came to explaining what had exactly taken place once they were face to face, however, his relatively straightforward account broke into a thousand shards. The only thing that seemed clear was that she had suddenly turned into the fairest woman in the world. With an obsessiveness which reminded Fíriel of the Temple priests repeating their litanies, he came back over and over to the exquisite curve of her lips, begging to be kissed, the softness of her skin, the artful arrangement of her raven black tresses over her shoulder, and above all her gaze, warm and ardent and impossible to resist.

The knot in Fíriel’s throat grew larger and larger as she listened to him. For a moment, she longed to let go of him and flee someplace far away, where she would not have to hear the sound of his voice any longer. But even as he spoke of the Elvish beauty of his wife, he was holding her so tight that she could not move.

“So”, she managed to interrupt him at last, once her need for him to stop grew stronger even than her choking sensation. “You bedded your wife, my lord prince. I am sure that the whole of Númenor will be astir at the news. After all, there has been nothing of similar import happening at least since the conquest of Rhûn.”

His grip on her grew even tighter. She opened her mouth to complain, then closed it when she saw the expression on his face. Suddenly, it was as if she had a vision of someone dangling from a precipice, holding to whatever he could to avoid the fall.

“I saw him, Fíriel! I saw him!” he almost shouted. “He was lurking, there in her mind. Gloating! He had struck at me through her, and stolen what he… what he wanted.” His voice was lowered to a whisper again. “And then I knew what I was doing- I remembered who I was, who she was. But I could not remember you.”

She needed to work very hard not to surrender at the panic in his voice, or to the half-hinted horror in his words.

“But you knew where to come” she said. “And now, you remember me.”

He blinked, and stared at her as if he was still not sure that she was real, and not another vision that the demon had put in his mind.

“It is me, Gimilzagar.” In another impulse, she leaned forwards and kissed him. Skittish as he was, he did not pull back. “I bet the Lady Ûriphel did not kiss like this. Better, maybe- but not like this.”

There was a new silence, even longer this time. Through the window, Fíriel could see the moon wane gradually, and the stars begin to fade.

“What… did they want?” she grew the courage to ask at last. Gimilzagar had started to relax, but now, she could feel his limbs tense again.

“A baby” he whispered, as if afraid that some invisible spy would hear him. “A heir to the Sceptre. The- moment he realized he could not win me over, he began seeking a replacement.”

“But that makes no sense”, she argued hotly. “You cannot sire children. You never could.”

As the light of dawn fell upon his features, Fíriel saw they were ashen. She wondered if he was going to be sick.

“He thinks he can make it happen. With his magic.” His lips curved into a bitter smile. “After all, I am not supposed to be alive either, am I?”

“That is a different issue”, she said, though she could not manage to inject too much conviction in her words. Bleakly, she imagined a Númenor under Sauron’s sway after Ar Pharazôn sailed away, probably never to return. Would Ar Zimraphel be strong enough to stop a demon by herself? Perhaps Fíriel’s dreams of violent catastrophes did not refer to the vengeance of the Valar, after all - perhaps the Powers would merely leave them to suffer and die under the thumb of the demon they had invited in.

“You should have left while you still could”, Gimilzagar mumbled. Fíriel shook her head, lying on the bed next to his curled form. Slowly, one of his hands began threading through her hair, caressing it in short, repetitive motions.

“And what would you do, then?” she asked, a while later.

The Prince of the West did not answer.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Ûriphel lay on the bed facing the ceiling, her legs carefully spread open. Her heart was beating very fast, and she was holding her breath as his hands hovered over her belly, then travelled lower in his inspection.

She had ruined everything. After her successes with the lesser men Zigûr had given her to practice, she had believed she could take on anyone, bend their wills and force them to do her bidding. She had felt all-powerful, just because she could get the better of a bunch of weak-minded criminals, and this had made her lower her guard and lose herself in her own enjoyment of the scene she had been dreaming for so long. But the Prince of the West was not weak-minded, despite the frailty of his body. His spirit was strong and piercing like that of his horrible mother, and he had managed to penetrate her thoughts and discover her intentions. Now, because of her stupid carelessness, their plans were jeopardized, perhaps stumped forever. Her husband would never fall into the same trap again, and Zigûr would not forgive her failure.

The hands stopped exploring, and the grave blue eyes sought hers. Instinctively, she flinched, and started shaking.

“It is done”, he said. She stared, suddenly unable to comprehend his words. “His seed is in you, and through prayer and sacrifice, it will give fruit. But he suspects us now, so we will lie low and hide this until the time is ripe.”

Ûriphel wanted to sob, so great was her relief at this outcome. He smiled indulgently.

“Yes, my dear. Your blunder has been repaired. You may not be a goddess, after all, but at least you will be the Queen of Númenor.” He covered her with a sheet, and laid a hand on her forehead. “Now, rest.”

“I am sorry” she said, forcing her tremulous voice to still. “I should have been more careful.”

He shrugged in an airy, dismissive gesture.

“That no longer matters, Princess of the West. What is done, is done, and no one will be able to change its outcome. This child will grow to be your greatest weapon against your enemies. It will allow you to avenge all the grievances they have inflicted upon you, increased by a tenfold.”

Ûriphel closed her eyes, letting this pleasant thought take root in her mind, and savouring the dawning realization that it was no longer a mere wish, but something that would become true in the near future. Once her child, her little prince was born.

“She will die first”, she established. The moment her husband had fled from her bed, he had immediately gone to the South Wing to hold her in his arms. Ûriphel could imagine him burying himself deep in that whore in a vain attempt to forget the haunting memory of her embraces.

“Of course”, Zigûr nodded. “After all, the Prince will need to sacrifice something truly valuable for this child to be born healthy. Though her overall worth is quite limited, fortunately what matters here is her worth to him.”

A sudden objection clouded her enjoyment of this scenario.

“But what if the Queen tries to resist us? She will be the rightful holder of the Sceptre, after all.”

“Do not worry about the Queen.” Zigûr’s eyes were cold and purposeful again, and the Princess felt a pleasurable shiver travel down her spine. “I can take her down.”

“She scares me sometimes”, she confessed. “I wish she would die, too.”

“She will”, he said. Her pleasurable shiver increased. “They all will. The day your son is old enough to take the Sceptre, they will have passed away from the Doom of Men and the curses of the Valar. And then, he will need to rebuild his kingdom and avenge them- with our help.”

Ûriphel smiled. Her mind was showing her grand images, of herself attired in a beautiful dress with a red and gold-embroidered mantle, and millions of people kneeling before her. Right by her side, a dashing young man who did not resemble his father at all, and whose nose and eyes reminded her of the cousin she had once admired, beamed while holding the Sceptre in his hand. And behind them, the High Priest of Melkor spread his protective aura over the new monarchs of Númenor.

“All that will happen”, he nodded. “But for now, we have to be very careful. The next months will be decisive for our plans, and we cannot afford a false step. You will keep to your rooms, unless I summon you to update the protective enchantments on the child in your womb. Is that clear?”

Ûriphel’s hands involuntarily trailed across her belly. She could not believe that this dashing young man was there now, waiting to be born. For a moment, she wondered if everything could be a dream, and she would wake up in her lonely bed, surrounded by idiotic, fawning women who did nothing but wring their hands aimlessly at her troubles.

“Yes, your Holiness”, she bowed. “It is clear.”

 

 

The Muster of the Fleet

Read The Muster of the Fleet

Gimilzagar paused in his tracks, feeling his innards squirm at the distant roaring of the crowd. His feet felt so heavy that he could barely lift them from the marble floor, and, while he fought the invisible force that kept him from moving, he realized that air was not flowing into his lungs anymore. He tried for a calming intake of breath, keeping his features carefully blank so no one could see his weakness. But it was too late: Ar Pharazôn had already stopped to look at him, and all the generals followed the King’s lead. As he found himself on the receiving end of those impatient, even openly disapproving stares, Gimilzagar felt as if he had hurtled back through the vortex of time and memory, right into a victory ceremony where a small child had a fit right before the altar and interrupted his father’s sacrifice.

Back then, Ar Pharazôn had made light of the situation before the crowd. He had been at the peak of his power, and despite the fears agitating the child’s mind, no more likely to be humiliated or vexed by his behaviour as he would by an annoying fly he could easily swat away. Now, he was celebrating his victory before he faced an enemy he had never encountered on any battlefield of this world, and there were no traces of this easy-going confidence left in his expression.

“Gimilzagar” he hissed. Behind the mask of his gaze, the Prince of the West could perceive both the annoyance at this temporary disruption of his schedule and the pleading. Please do not make things difficult, not now, some corner of his mind was thinking. The Prince swallowed long and hard.

“Father”, he managed to say. Ar Pharazôn beckoned in his direction.

“Come with me. Take my hand.” Almost like an automat, Gimilzagar obeyed. His senses were no longer overwhelmed by what awaited them at the other side, for the King’s feelings were powerful and twisted enough to sidetrack him. He saw a man, struggling against an insidious fear that had taken hold of him and which he did not know how to fight, except by chasing shadows with a fierce determination that did not leave him a moment to stop in his tracks, and see the rampaging beast chasing him. This rampaging beast had many shapes, but the one that struck Gimilzagar the most displayed an old, decrepit likeness of Lord Amandil, who had disappeared years ago without leaving a trace. “There you go. Very good. Now, you will stand by my side for the proceedings, and they will see me share all my glory with you, just as I will share my immortality. Meanwhile, the rest of you will stand back, and stay behind us.” His indulgent expression disappeared when he focused on the generals, and his forehead curved in a severe frown. “And if any of you looks at my son in that way again, I will have him row my ship in chains all the way to the Undying Lands.”

As he allowed himself to be dragged towards the balcony of the platform rising over the shipyards, Gimilzagar opened his mouth on a desperate impulse.

“Father, do not go.”

Now, it was Ar Pharazôn who froze in his tracks. His limbs tensed, and his voice became a low whisper.

“What?”

The Gimilzagar of the past would never have answered the question, or dared pursue this conversation. He would have looked down, perhaps even apologized for his unseemly behaviour. But the Gimilzagar of the present had seen the grey of Ûriphel’s eyes darken, and Zigûr’s malice suddenly lurking from behind them, ready to strike at him and Fíriel. And since then, a new fear had been haunting his own footsteps like a shadow, making him his father’s son in a way he had never been before.

They were standing upon the brink, with little to hold on to. Zigûr was plotting their destruction, while Ar Zimraphel had often pretended to have her son’s best interests in mind, but Gimilzagar was tired of believing in manipulations and prophecies whose fulfilment never came. He could not trust them as much as the visible, concrete actions that Father had always taken to protect him. Now, he did not know if he was acknowledging the debts that he owed, as his mother had claimed, or merely struggling to save himself in a fit of desperate cowardice, but he needed to try something - anything.

“Please, stay here, Father”, he insisted. “No one has ever seen the envoys of the Baalim in living memory. You can pretend they came to you suing for peace, and that you accepted their terms. And what is so great about immortality, that you would risk the life that you have now to achieve it? None of our ancestors had it, none of them ever needed it. I am no longer a foolish child, Father, who faints at the sight of blood. When the day comes, I swear I will not let your empire fall.” He shook his head. “I am- sensing a great danger. Greater than the one I sensed when the assassin was walking towards you, knife in hand. I could save you then, so please, please let me save you now.”

Ar Pharazôn gazed at him in silence, as if he was too shocked to interrupt his tirade. Once Gimilzagar fell silent, he just stood there, showing no reaction. Behind them, the throng of generals had stopped at his command, while before them, the purple curtains fluttered in the wind, awaiting a sign to be drawn so they could stride out into the platform.

After what felt like an unending stretch of time to Gimilzagar’s warped perception, the hazel eyes darkened. He stepped back involuntarily, preparing himself for the strike. But instead of being angry, Ar Pharazôn did something that his son had not anticipated: he laughed. As he listened to the shockingly discordant sound of this laughter, and felt his father’s mind bolting shut against the intrusion of the thought which would inevitably destroy it, it dawned upon Gimilzagar that he should have expected it all along.

“I appreciate your concern, Gimilzagar, but there is nothing to fear. A common mortal would never be brave enough to take a step like this, and I admit that for long I have been battling my mortality, which also whispered in my ear that I would fail and doom myself and all those who followed me. But no longer. I have conquered my fears, and the day you see me return in triumph, you will conquer yours.” His gaze hardened, and the Prince knew that further attempts to delay or derail either this ceremony or the rest of his plans, from his review of the fleet to the planned departure from the Forbidden Bay a month from now, would not be tolerated. “Now, stop dawdling and follow me. They are expecting us.”

Swallowing the acrid taste of despair, Gimilzagar forced his feet to obey.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

It was late in the night, and she had already sent most of her companions away. Those who remained knew better than to approach her, open their mouths, or make any noise which could disturb what they mistakenly believed to be her peaceful contemplation of the starry sky from her balcony. Instead, they busied themselves with their sewing and embroidering, most of them with an honest relish that bore witness to the emptiness of their minds.

When he came in, however, their training was about to fail them. First, a quiet unease fell upon the group, then Zimraphel heard murmurations as one of them stood up and, after some hesitation, came to stand in his way.

“My- my lord King, we were not expecting…”

“Leave. Now”, he hissed. He was quite drunk, more than she remembered seeing him in a very long time. The lady bowed, and hurriedly stood aside. For a moment, the others seemed unsure of what to do, and Zimraphel knew that they were looking in her direction, hoping to get a cue from her. A lesser woman, worried about petty power struggles, might have hurried to dismiss them before he could do it for her, but she did not even turn around.

As they gathered their things in a rush and left them alone, she could feel Pharazôn staring at her, suddenly transfixed by the sight that met his eyes. She looked like a stone statue, he thought, inert and cold under the pale glare of the stars.

“I am going to conquer the Baalim, Zimraphel”, he said, long after the last of the women had crossed the threshold. At last, she turned to face him, moving back from the railing.

“Yes”.

He had never been one to hide his feelings well, even from other people’s short-sighted gaze. Now, he could not keep them from spiralling out of control. Her calm bothered him most of all, and he was coming to the realization that it always had. She had married him in order to be Queen of Númenor, give birth to Gimilzagar and save the boy’s life, but she did not need him anymore, and his fate no longer interested her. She would look on, never batting an eye as an assassin knifed him on the back, or as he sailed off to declare war on the gods of the West. He was Vorondil to her now, and she was sending him to die with a smile.

Her eyes and Gimilzagar’s were so much alike, dark, unfathomable pools which could see things he could only imagine in his wildest dreams. And yet, he had not been smiling in Forostar, on the day of the final muster. He had not wanted him to sail.

“You are drunk, and letting your most shameful insecurities have the better of you” she said, more bothered than she wanted to admit. “Tomorrow, once Zigûr gives you something for the headache, you will be back in control of yourself, and you will remember that it was you, and no one else, who planned this campaign. And if you are afraid to follow through with your project of conquering the Undying Lands, all you have to do is call it off, and use that monstrous fleet to try to pick the pieces of your lost mainland empire.”

His eyes narrowed. In a fast move, which might have startled her if she had not been expecting it for a while now, he grabbed her by her shoulders, his fingers sinking painfully into her skin, and threw her against the railing.

“Stop playing games with me!”

She rode the pain as well as she could, refusing to give him evidence of her weakness.

“What do you want from me?” she asked. His breath smelled of wine, which went well with the rage and desperation reaching her in waves. “Tell me.”

His answer was remarkably fast in coming.

“I want you to tell me what you see in the future. You are denying me information which is crucial for the fate of Númenor, and I will not have it”.

She let go of a shaky breath.

“That is not how it works.”

“Enough of your attempts to mislead me! Speak!” he yelled, pressing her harder. Tears welled into her eyes.

“Very well. You die. Your fleet sinks, and your expedition ends in failure and disaster” she enumerated ferociously. “Is this what you wanted to hear? Oh, I see it is not.” She laughed over her tears, and he let her go as if her skin had suddenly acquired the ability to burn him. “No, you already have Zigûr to tell you better and more accurate stories about your glorious future. What you want from me is something else, something you are too proud to admit.” He gazed away, but it was her turn to attack now. “You want me to beg you not to go. You want to leave me in tears, wringing my hands and worried by your fate, so I can prove my love for you. Is that not so?”

Now, he turned from her abruptly, and leaned on the railing himself. His hands trailed down his head, forehead and face, and she heard a smothered groan.

“I cannot turn back”, he said at last, after a long silence. He no longer sounded so drunk, Zimraphel realized. “I will not turn back. I will not pretend I have not been… entertaining doubts about what I am about to do. But my gamble has been such, that if I do not follow through with it, I will lose everything anyway. We are not far away from death, Zimraphel. Do you not feel it in your bones? I do, every single day I wake up in my bed. And by calling back my troops from the mainland, as you say, I have lost most of our territories. Barbarians have revolted right, left and centre, and the Baalim-worshippers have joined hands with the Elves.” She could not see his bitter smile with the eyes in her face, but it was clearly visible to the ones in her mind. “Unless I become immortal, I will never have the time or the energy to regain what I have lost. And after I die, I will be remembered as the worst king of Númenor, who brought a great ruin to our empire, and sacrificed it all for a cause he was too cowardly to uphold in the end.”

“So, you will try to win back the time and energy you need with the strength of your arms. And if you cannot, at least you will get yourself a glorious death. And you want me to weep for you, Pharazôn?” She spat in disdain. “It is you who does not care about me, or love me, or worry for my fate. You will leave me and Gimilzagar alone with Zigûr’s plotting and surrounded by Baalim-worshippers, in a world where all peoples and races spit upon our name and want us dead. Do you think I have the time to worry about you?”

For a moment, Pharazôn looked as if he had been struck. It took him some time to regain his aplomb.

“That is not true, Zimraphel. I would never leave you defenceless! Zigûr is powerful, and he has sworn to protect you…”

“And you trust him to do that!”

“… and even if he should think of trying something against Gimilzagar and you, he knows he will never have the loyalty of the Númenórean people. As for the barbarians, they cannot cross the Sea to challenge you; if the worst comes to pass, you will always have a safe place to retreat. And I promise you I will deal with what remains of the Baalim-worshippers myself.”

This time, Zimraphel’s smile was genuinely sad. Slowly, she walked back towards the railing, and came to stand right next to him. His mood had shifted now: he was no longer angry, accusing, or desperate. Instead, he was gazing at her with a look she had almost forgotten, a look he had given her long before Zigûr came into their lives.

That was what he had wanted from her, all along. He had wanted weakness so he could feel strong, just like millions of men before him. Despite all his gallant victories, and the daredevilry of his youth, Pharazôn was not a god, or even a king: he was a man like the others. And he needed a woman like the others.

“Do not sail West” she said, the words leaving her mouth easily despite her awareness of their deep futility. He leaned forwards, and suddenly his arms were pulling her into a strong embrace, as if she was an anchor and he a drowning man. But she was the one who was drowning, and she could not save him any longer.

“Good night, Pharazôn”, she whispered, running her hands over his face for the last time before disentangling herself from him.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

With the death of Lord Númendil, and Amandil’s subsequent departure, the House of Andúnië had developed a worrying weakness which left their flank exposed. They had lost the people who had the ability to perceive danger, like an old man might predict a storm by feeling the ache on his bones. Others still remained who had the dreams, yes, but they were either erratic and absorbed by their personal troubles, like Isildur or Ilmarë, or, like Anárion, too reluctant to let go of their solid anchor to reality in order to sail the perilous waters of fancy.

That was why when, mere days away from the King’s planned departure from the ancient Bay of Eldanna and the completion of the first of their ships, the Governor’s men broke into their home in the dead of the night, no one had been expecting it. They had no warning, no cue to prepare themselves for the evil that befell them, though perhaps a logical mind should have known better than to sleep so peacefully in a world like this. For years, after all, they had heard and seen similar happenings in many houses of Rómenna, even if their family had remained relatively secure in their status. Despite their apparent compliance with all his whims, they remained under the Governor’s watchful eye, and anyone Elendil had had dealings with could have betrayed him, willingly or under duress.

Still, he did not allow this thought to discourage him, or interfere with the presence of mind he needed to get his family out of this alive. Careful to behave like the innocent, unjustly wronged man that he was, he gave his complaints to the leader of the soldiers in a voice that vibrated with righteous indignation. The captain did not answer, merely watching with a sardonic smile as his men demolished everything in their path and dragged out people in their night robes, including the nurse who held a terrified, crying Meneldil in her arms.

This attitude made a chill travel across Elendil’s spine. If he was not afraid of dealing unfairly with a noble house from the stock of Indilzar, then the Governor of Sor could not be the only one behind this. And that could only mean…

“You will come with me, Lord Elendil”, the man said at last, once he was satisfied with the level of destruction. “The rest will remain here for now, under close vigilance. And if that brat keeps screaming at the top of his lungs, my men will have permission to throw him down the cliff. Is that understood?”

“If anyone touches him he will lose that limb. And then, the others”, Isildur threatened. A shrill noise rent the air, as several swords were pointed at him at the same time. Elendil swallowed hard, but before he opened his mouth, Anárion had stepped in front of his brother.

“Meneldil will calm down once there is not as much excitement around him. And that goes for all of us”, he said, laying a hand on the closest sword and pushing its point downwards. Even in the middle of this terrible situation, Elendil could not help but admire his coolness. “If we stand accused of something, there has to be a trial. And if there is, I daresay the Governor would prefer us to stay alive at least until then.”

There was a sob, not coming from the boy this time, but from Irissë, who was burying her head in her sister’s shoulder. Irimë, however, gazed at her surroundings with a look of dignified superiority, and her eyes were dry.

Elendil made an effort to look at them all for the last time: at Isildur, trying to contain his battle rage, at the more conciliating Anárion, at the frightened Irissë and her proud sister. Behind them, Ilmarë was holding Lindissë to keep her from shaking, a glare of defiance in her eyes which, as always, mirrored that of her brother Isildur. Elendur was struggling furiously with a guard, and Faniel and Findis were staring worriedly at Eluzîni, who stood rooted at the spot and only had eyes for Elendil.

You cannot die away from me, the eyes were saying. You cannot.

Taking a long, sharp breath, he turned away, and followed the soldiers outside.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Elendil’s suppositions had been right, as he discovered as soon as he set foot in Sor. His stay in the Governor’s palace was brief, little more than the time it took the man to level him with his gaze, gloat at his situation, and declare that he would be taken to Armenelos straight away.

“Unfortunately, the King does not want to leave your fate to me” he grinned. “Rumour has it that he is in dire need of sacrifices to win divine favour for his enterprise. As you know, the supply of barbarians has dwindled considerably, and all those who are in the Island now have been assigned to row his ships across the Sea. Some think the Great God may be feeling short-changed, and a victim of high blood like you would make a handsome replacement.”

He would not say anything else, only replying to Elendil’s attempts to gain information about the charges against him with a self-satisfied smile. Once he grew tired of this game, he ordered his men to put together an armed escort, put him on a carriage, and start the journey before dawn, ‘for the King would not tolerate any delays’.  As they took the main road across the plains of Mittalmar, however, and Elendil’s eyes grew lost on their changed landscape, arid and treeless from the extensive plantations of grain which had sprung all across them, he felt that he had already been given enough to think about.

The King had been the one who had wanted him. The King, not the Governor or Sauron. It was true that Ar Pharazôn was about to leave Armenelos, and in theory Sauron could be using his name for his own purposes, but the fact remained that the King would still be there when they arrived, and that he had been the one to tell the Governor to make haste. And Elendil was unsure of how to feel about that.

Once upon a time, before Ar Pharazôn became the Dark Lord’s protector, Elendil had believed that he knew him. Not as well as his father, perhaps, but he had been given the chance to acquire some insights of his own on his character. The man had always been ambitious and proud, though for a long time the less pleasant aspects of his personality had remained hidden behind his considerable charm and his other qualities as a leader of men. Elendil himself had admired him, enough to let go of his prudence and follow him to Middle-Earth on that fateful campaign which ended with the heir of Andúnië becoming the unlikely governor of Arne. There, he had been personally acquainted with the new King’s swollen head, his unhealthy need for praise and his distaste for listening to anyone else’s advice, not to mention his casual disposal of the less fortunate pawns on the board in the altar of his higher purposes.

Still, even in his worst moments, Elendil had somehow remained unable to hate Ar Pharazôn. And the reason for this was that, deep inside, some part of him had always had the certainty that Ar Pharazôn was unable to hate him. Even when Elendil did things that would have sealed anyone else’s fate, he had always turned a blind eye, or let him go easily. Some might claim that the King’s hands were tied by that oath he had sworn before his friend’s son was born, calling Heaven’s wrath upon his head if he ever allowed any harm to come to the child he had promised to protect. But Ar Pharazôn had felt himself entitled to break other oaths before, prompting an incensed Amandil to declare that he had no honour left, and that Zigûr had addled his mind too much to keep right apart from wrong. Perhaps he had finally decided it was time to break this one as well, to sever the last, unseemly ties with a family whose existence, even in exile, had always made him look weak. Perhaps he would no longer find it difficult to hate a traitor, or to speak the words that would have him dragged to the altar and executed. Still, if there was a chance, even a small one, that the young prince who had made sure that a mother and her child were safe from Ar Gimilzôr’s men, or the exiled general who had snuck into the Andúnië mansion to give him a precious Arnian heirloom as a wedding present were still alive somewhere, in the depths of the tyrant’s soul, then the lives of Elendil’s family and the future of his people could depend on it.

Dusk was falling when they reached Armenelos. For a brief while, as they negotiated their path through the narrow streets of the old quarters, the lord of Andúnië experienced the anguish of not knowing whether they were taking him to the Palace or directly to the Temple, until the carriage turned in the direction of the Palace Hill. The high dome of the New Temple hung sinisterly over the city, half-obscured by a dark mist emanating from the fumes of the sacrifices. Though he knew that they were too far away, he fancied he could catch a whiff of the smell of burned flesh. That will be your flesh, sooner or later, a voice that resembled that of the Governor of Sor, with its hint of cruel mockery, whispered in his imagination. At least I hope they let me have your family.

Elendil forced the voice away from his mind. He could not afford any distractions now. As long as there was any chance of salvation, he had no right to succumb to panic or despair. His life had been at risk before, and he sought his memories for the particular brand of alert calm which had taken hold of his thoughts in the middle of the battlefield, once his consciousness had accepted that he could die at any moment.

They entered the Palace by a back door he never remembered taking before, and the corridors they walked him through after that remained unfamiliar to him. At some point, the soldiers from Sor who had escorted him left him in the care of armed men with vaguely Haradric features, whose leader had the bearing of a high commander of Pharazôn’s Palace Guards. This man informed him, in an accented Adûnaic, that the King would see him ‘as soon as he was back from the Temple’. Elendil nodded in silence, refusing to let his thoughts dwell on the ominous connection.

While they waited, they took him to a cell, where he was offered food and water and a place to sit. He had not been tied or chained; overall, those in charge of him in Armenelos were treating him better than their counterparts from Sor. This gave him some hopes that his fate might not have been decided yet, and that the Governor had exceeded his mandate out of sheer desire to see him brought down.

He could not know how long he was held there, as there were no windows or any other way to keep track of time. At some point, however, word came that the King was back and ready to receive him. The soldiers did not tie his hands this time either, and one of them even surveyed his appearance with a critical eye, as if he had to make sure he was presentable for the audience.

They found Ar Pharazôn in a large room, surrounded by military men who appeared to be discussing something over a large table map. Elendil could not see the map across that distance, though he could not help but wonder if the Blessed Realm was depicted on it, and how it might look like, since no mortal Man could boast of having been there and returned to tell the tale. Guards had been stationed at every entrance, and those escorting Amandil were not even allowed to cross the threshold. Instead, they had to wait while an aide tiptoed in to announce their presence, under the severe, watchful glare of those who had been awarded a higher clearance. It seemed that the brave conqueror was no longer feeling so brave, even in his own palace.

Not long afterwards, orders came back to deliver Elendil to the King’s bodyguards, who would take him to an adjacent room. Elendil could perceive that those large and burly men were used to dwarf all the courtiers they intimidated, and that they were more than a little unsettled by his size as he stood close to them. This had the unfortunate effect of making them more unfriendly towards him than they might have been in other circumstances. When they ushered him through the door, they grabbed him and forced him to kneel, with a zeal that forced him to repress an involuntary groan as his knees collided against the floor.

“Oh, please, there is no need for that”, Ar Pharazôn exclaimed, shaking his head in pretended shock. “We are related, this man and I. Do you know what this means? There is royal blood running through his veins, and he deserves to be treated respectfully. Why, some in the mainland even call him king, or so I have heard.” His eyes narrowed, and Elendil felt his stomach knot. “Sit down and have a drink.”

“My lord King, there is no one, Númenórean or barbarian, who has ever called…” Elendil began, as earnestly as he could. Ar Pharazôn, however, did not let him finish the sentence.

“I said, sit down. Now.”

While he lifted himself up and obeyed in silence, Elendil could take a closer look at the King of Númenor than he had in the last sixty years. What he saw shocked him first, then saddened, and finally worried him. Pharazôn’s outward appearance was still that of a proud warrior in the flower of his life, the same one who believed he could take on Mordor because he was mightier and cleverer than the immortal forces of evil who had tormented his primitive ancestors. But beneath this shell, he had very little in common with the man Elendil had seen brimming with a sometimes exasperating confidence. After watching him for a short while, and even though he could not boast of his ancestors’ inner eye, it struck Elendil that all that reminded him of the old Pharazôn in the way he talked and behaved had the powerful feeling of a forced act, as if he was trying to fool others, or maybe even himself. A scared soldier, drunk on the eve of battle, trying to pretend he was a great conqueror.

As he grew aware of this, the hopes he might have entertained of establishing some sort of rapport based on their past experiences dwindled rapidly -and with them, his hopes of coming out of this alive. With luck, he might have convinced Ar Pharazôn the Golden of his good intentions, but the man before him had grown too used to see enemies everywhere.

“May I ask why I have been taken from my home in the dead of the night and dragged all the way here?” he asked, opting for the dignified approach in the face of despair. “The Governor of Sor would not tell me what I stand accused of.”

“That is because the Governor of Sor has no idea of what you stand accused of”, Pharazôn shrugged, handing him his cup. The Guards had retreated a few steps, but they had not left, and Elendil realized they were going to remain there for the entirety of the conversation. He tried not to think of where they might drag him after that.

“My family was threatened and manhandled by his soldiers. Even now, he is holding them prisoner; men, women and children.”

“Of course. We would not want your sons to cross the Great Sea, join their co-conspirers, their armies of mercenaries and their Elven friends and plan an attack on Númenor while I am away. Would we?”

Elendil drank a sip from the cup, searching his innards again for that frozen core that would allow him to remain calm under any circumstance.

“My family is loyal to the Númenórean Sceptre, and so am I”, he declared. “We have always kept our oaths, even while the oaths sworn to us were broken. In fact, all the measures my father and I took had the sole objective of protecting our lives and those of the people who depended on us, after they had been endangered for that reason.”

The King’s cup made a sharp noise as it hit the ivory table.

“You do not justify treason as a necessary means to protect other traitors.” His voice grew louder. “I have been turning a blind eye to your manoeuvres, as I had no time to deal with all of you. But I will take the appropriate steps to ensure that my wife and son are safe from your plotting while I am away.”

Elendil’s eyes widened.

“My lord King, if you believe me capable of harming a hair of the Queen or the Prince’s head, you are either deeply mistaken, or led astray by others. Perhaps you should consider that you are following the advice given by a counsellor who never strove for anything but the utter destruction of any mortal he encountered. He is the one who will betray you as soon as your back is turned, and I am the one who will thwart him for as long as there is any life left in my body.”

Pharazôn stared at him for a while, in silence. Then, he laughed.

“Such high-sounding words from those who protect assassins, smuggle traitors away from the Island, take possession of lands in your own name and establish alliances with my enemies! You are just like your father: a pig-headed fool who was always arguing and attempting to justify the unjustifiable, and never stopped seeing himself as the valiant hero of his own tale.”

We all do, Elendil thought, but he did not say this aloud.

“And now, you remain silent. Was that all you had to say for yourself?”

Elendil forced himself to take a second sip from the cup, though his fingers were so stiff that he had difficulty bending them enough to grasp it.

“What else do you want me to say, my lord King? Do you wish me to remind you that you swore yet another oath never to let any harm come to me? You thought it prudent to break all the rest for the good of the realm, why would this one be any different?”

The old Pharazôn, the one who had felt proud of Elendil whenever he showed spirit, would have smiled in indulgent approval at this. But this Pharazôn no longer tolerated dissent even from his closest collaborators, and Elendil was his enemy.

“You are right. I have chosen to put the good of the realm above any oaths I may have sworn to a man who disappeared like a spy in the night, a man I owe nothing to. And you are not merely his son, you are his accomplice. Yours is the greatest lineage of traitors in this realm, affecting meekness and loyalty while you constantly conspire against the Sceptre. And, do you realize what the greatest irony of all is? You could have lived longer, if only you had left the Island and hid away among your allies. But your desire for power betrayed you, did it not? and you chose to bide your time here until I was gone. Because you think your Baalim will win this war, and then you will be able to usurp the throne and fulfil my uncle’s dearest wish of a Númenor ruled by the house of Andúnië!”

Elendil abandoned all that remained of his prudence.

“If you doubt the wisdom of your enterprise, my lord King, perhaps you should not blame me, but the one who suggested it to you. Perhaps you should arrest him, see through his pretence of meekness and loyalty, and return to the path of true wisdom before it is too late.”

Ar Pharazôn rose from his chair, livid.

“Get this man out of my sight. I have no more time to listen to his ramblings.” Elendil heard the brisk, regular thump of the Guards’ steps, advancing towards him, and suddenly grew aware that his time was drawing to a close.

“In any case, my family has nothing to do with the grievances you may hold against me. They do not have the power or the will to rebel against the Sceptre. Please, my lord King, let them go.”

“Not the power or the will?” Pharazôn laughed again; a mirthless, terrible laugh. “Not under the Governor of Sor’s watchful vigilance and cut away from their supporters, no. But to keep a man-eating tiger in a cage, and claim he does not wish to attack me based on his behaviour behind bars is only wishful thinking, is it not? Your son Isildur is a tiger, Elendil.” The lord of Andúnië’s arms were caught in an iron grip, and he felt himself inexorably pulled upwards. “I have known it since he stole into the Palace of Armenelos and murdered my Guards. And now, the time has come when I cannot afford to ignore this knowledge any longer.”

Elendil had only one chance left.

“The real tiger is feeding from your own table, my lord King. You are afraid of what may befall the Queen and the Prince once you are gone, but my son would never harm them. In fact, if they were ever in danger, he might be the only man in Númenor brave enough to stand up for them.”

Ar Pharazôn made a gesture, and the Guards stopped in their tracks, though they did not let Elendil go. Once again, his conversational tone was feigned; behind it lay the shadow of a deep unease.

“Truly? Oh, yes, I am sure that Isildur would fight tooth and nail for the one you have called an abomination since he was born! Those of your kind have always woven the most incredible lies without as much as blinking, but you must be the most shameless of them all, to stand here and say this to my face.”

Elendil sustained his gaze at length, until he almost felt as if his eyes were burning.

“You forget who is it that loves the Prince, and is loved by him. The woman who chose to share his fate, whether he lives or dies. You may prefer to keep her out of your mind, but Isildur will not.”

“That bastard child of your father’s? The shame of the house of Andúnië?”

“She was never my father’s child, my lord King. She is the child of Isildur’s dearest friend, the man who let himself be caught by your Guards and killed in his stead, and my own daughter”, he revealed, without missing a beat. “And anything she asks of him, no matter what it is, he will do, because he takes his debts seriously.”

Ar Pharazôn frowned.

“You lie.”

“I am not lying. Ask your son, and he will tell you.” At last, he could see he had made a dent in Ar Pharazôn’s act, one through which he could glimpse at the real extent of the King’s disarray. And then, as he did, the whole truth began to dawn upon him. “You are not certain that you will survive the upcoming battle. In your heart, you are starting to fear that Sauron has misled you. But you feel it is already too late to turn back from your path, and you have chosen to believe that we are the danger you are leaving behind merely because you cannot face the alternative.”

The hazel eyes were clouded, and anger rushed to cover the cracks of his weakness.

“Silence!” He frowned at the Guards, as if it was their fault that Elendil was still there. “What in the name of the Deliverer are you waiting for? Take him away!”

For the first time since they had taken him from his house, necessity made Elendil succumb to the indignity of struggling. The Guards were taken by surprise by his strength, and one of them hissed a curse as he was pushed against the wall.

“Destroying us now will not bring you any advantage! If you lose your war, we will oppose Sauron, and keep him from becoming secure enough in his position that he can afford to move against the Queen and the Prince. And if you become a god, you can easily subdue all your enemies upon your return. No matter what happens…”

The Guard had recovered enough to punch him on the stomach, and he doubled over, rendered voiceless by the pain. The King watched in apparent indifference as he was pulled back into an erect position. Once that he was standing upright again, Ar Pharazôn approached them, until he was practically breathing in Elendil’s face.

“Say one more word”, he hissed, “and I will make sure that you watch all your family die, one by one, before your turn arrives.”

The lord of Andúnië looked down, his spirit sinking. He had tried. He had done everything he could, just like his many generations of ancestors, whose efforts had crashed like as many waves against the stone foundations of the harbour of Sor. A terrible feeling of impotence shook him, and suddenly he knew what they all had felt: Eärendur, Númendil, Amandil, as well as the countless others who, one after another, had surrendered and left the burden upon the shoulders of their descendants. Except that now, they had finally run out of both time and shoulders to bear the weight of what was coming. Elendil’s failure would drag all his descendants with him, and Númenor itself was hanging from a thread.

“That is much better”, the King nodded, in mock approval. “Now, you will be taken to your temporary accommodations, where you will await your fate. And remember this: any attempt to take it into your own hands will only make things worse for your family. Especially those who are still too young to have mastered the cowardly ability to separate their souls from their bodies at will.”

Elendil did not oppose further resistance. Numbly, he followed the Guards as they took him across the threshold of the door, where he paused only for a brief moment to look at Ar Pharazôn’s receding silhouette for the last time. The King was still standing on the same spot, both hands grabbing the table as if he needed the support to stay on his feet. When their eyes met, he broke the connection immediately and looked away, as if Elendil had intruded upon something he should never have witnessed.

“Move”, the Guard hissed, pushing him through the doorstep.

 

Reborn

Read Reborn

He waited until the sound of footsteps had faded in the distance in order to move. First, he tried to pull himself up to a sitting position, checking his limbs one by one for signs of injury. His torso was racked by sharp pangs which increased at each breath he took, and his right leg did not look like it would support him at the moment. The right side of his face hurt as well, though when he ran his hands through it he could not perceive the telltale wetness of blood.

Clenching his teeth, Elendil began dragging his body across the invisible room, searching for a wall he could lean against. The floor was made of rugged stone, and whenever his knee hurt one of the rougher patches, he winced in pain. He blinked repeatedly, wondering if the darkness would dissipate, even a little, once his eyes grew used to it. But judging by the flights of stairs he had been able to count, he must be underground, perhaps in the very bowels of the earth, and there were no lights here.

Eventually, his exploring hand bumped against a hard obstacle. The surface of the wall was dripping with humidity, which made it slippery as he carefully let his back rest against it. By the time he managed to attain the most comfortable position he could aspire to in his circumstances, he was beginning to realize that the darkness around him, the lack of any sound or sign of life, were worse than any physical harm. If not because of the feel of the ancient stone beneath his limbs, he could have been floating in the Void, like Melkor when he was expelled from the Circles of the World, or like the souls of mortals after their bodies perished and they were condemned to walk in Eternal Darkness in the ghastly superstitions of Men. For those who believed in such things, this would look like a prelude of death, striking their hearts with enough terror and anticipation as to rob them of the last vestiges of bravery or defiance they possessed. It will not end in pain, in knives and fire, the very air seemed to be whispering around him. That is only the beginning.

Elendil laid his uninjured arm over his chest gingerly, in an attempt to shield himself from the sudden chill. He was not one of those people, he told himself. He knew that only the living could endure torment at the hands of their fellow Men, and that Death was an escape from it. All his forebears had willingly opened their arms to receive it as a gift, the Gift of Men in the teachings of the Valar. Ar Pharazôn knew it, which is why he had taken special care to ensure that Elendil would not escape him in that manner. Deep inside, however, the lord of Andúnië felt deterred by something more than the King’s threats whenever he thought of this possibility. It might be the long shadow of Yehimelkor, or perhaps the lingering weight of what had transpired with his father years ago, but Elendil found himself reluctant to consider his soul’s voluntary departure from his body. Even with the certainty that he would soon be dragged from this cell to be laid upon an altar, an instinct that seemed to reside in the most fundamental core of his being refused this escape, just like he would not have turned tail and fled a losing battle. The very thought disturbed him. How could he will himself dead? He had been given this body to inhabit and walk this Earth and fight until the last spark of life was forced away from it, not to quench it himself.

You cannot fight anymore, my son. Amandil’s voice did not fill the silence of this place, as it would if his father had walked into this darkness to address him. Still, Elendil could hear it in his heart, as clear and distinct in its own way as the voices of the Guards when they shouted abuse at him. The battle is over, and you have lost. What happened to you? You used to be a reasonable man, who knew when he had been beaten. The thoughts of a stubborn old fanatic like Yehimelkor do not suit you.

Elendil looked down, at the place where he knew his knees to be, despite the fact that he could not see the faintest trace of them. He tried to swallow, but his throat was suddenly too dry.

Was his father right? Was this merely an irrational impulse, a pathetic attempt to delay acceptance of the obvious until the last possible moment? The truth was that he had failed, and that his failure had brought down the house of Andúnië. He could have had those ships built sooner, if he had been a little less concerned by the need for anonymity and the possibility of being discovered. He should have imagined that Ar Pharazôn saw them as traitors anyway, and would dispose of them whether he had solid evidence of their activities or not. Or perhaps he should have had only one ship built, to take his family across the Sea and far away from this cursed Island, leaving the rest of the Faithful who still lived in Númenor to their fate. Many of them had already been saved, it was impossible to save them all. That had been his father’s aim, not his, and yet Amandil had sailed away long ago, leaving Elendil with the responsibility, and the burden, of his unfinished projects.

But most of all, he realized, he had been wrong in his decisions concerning Isildur. It was Elendil’s deep inability to trust his son what had forced Isildur to stay in Númenor under his eye, instead of returning to the mainland as he should have done. If not for that, Ar Pharazôn and Sauron could never have laid hands on his heir, and the line of Andúnië would live on in Middle-Earth even after the rest of them had perished. Back when he was in the King’s presence, he had tried to convince him that Isildur should be spared, but he held no illusions that his arguments concerning the Prince of the West and Fíriel would have made much of a dent in Ar Pharazôn’s determination to rid himself of that threat before his departure.

Why, of course, Father. What did you expect? The chill returned to his limbs when he heard the whisper of Isildur’s voice in his ear, and suddenly he was taken by the agonizing doubt of whether it was his imagination, or if his son was already a dead ghost. If my own father cannot bring himself to trust me, why would a paranoid tyrant’s judgement be any kinder? He was probably able to look into your eyes and tell that you did not even believe in the bullshit you were feeding him.

“I am sorry, Isildur”, he whispered in a hoarse voice. “I am so sorry.”

Too late. Those words were spoken by Irimë, who was holding her infant son in her arms. He was strangely quiet and still, and Elendil realized that he was dead. It is too late now, for words, for actions, even for regrets. You can die, but your death will not bring us back. You were not allowed to fail, and you did.

Elendil covered his face with his hands, for the first time shaking with a terror which had nothing to do with the darkness, the quiet, or even the thought of his impending death. As he did so, he realized that his temples were throbbing; his forehead burning with the heat of a fever. Unable to keep himself in an erect position any longer, his back slid across the wall, and his body curled against the cold floor.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

Elendil, her voice whispered in the middle of his agitated dreams. Elendil, wake up. You cannot do this. You cannot leave me.

Her gaze was reproachful, even though her fingers were gently caressing the side of his face. In a foolish, half-dazed impulse, he tried to raise his hand to grab hers, but he immediately lowered it when he remembered how much it hurt to move.

“Eluzîni”, he mumbled. All of a sudden, the point of a boot connected with his exposed side. The pain was so intense that he retched, though his mouth remained dry.

“I told you he was still alive”, a loud voice exploded in his ear, its sound as painful, in its own way, as the kick had been. Almost at the same time, the burning gleam of a lamp seared itself in his eye. “Those stories of separating souls from bodies at will are nothing but foolish superstitions.”

Despite how unbearably difficult it was, Elendil gritted his teeth and managed to struggle into a sitting position. He would not seek death, but if it came for him, he would look at it in the eye. He remembered those Faithful who had been caught trying to sail to the mainland years ago, and the woman who smiled before she was led to the altar. He could be at least as brave as she had been.

“There’s food and drink for you, noble and powerful lord of Andúnië. And take your time; the way the celebrations are going, it could still be days until it is your turn.”

They left immediately after that, leaving the echo of their laughter in their wake. Elendil had only caught a short glimpse of a jar and a bowl filled with something brown and lumpy between blinking back his tears at the light. He extended a hand towards the place where he reckoned they should be, and grabbed the jar first. It smelled strongly of mould, but he still made an effort to drink it. As it trickled down his throat, and despite the taste, it brought him some relief. He touched his forehead; it was much cooler already.

It could still be days, they had said. Days of lying in this darkness, waiting to be taken to feed the fires of the Great Deliverer. To his shame, he had felt his heartbeat increase when he believed they had come for him, and he had also experienced a foolish relief when his expectations were proved wrong, but the truth was that this delay was nothing but an extension of the torture. The longer he lay alone, the more agonizing the wait would become, and the more his ghosts would torment him.

I am not judging you, Father. After all, I barely know him, and only have second-hand knowledge of what you and Grandfather shared with him. But I do think that, deep inside, you always believed that he would refrain from harming you and your children, even after Lord Amandil left and Sauron had been whispering in his ear for sixty years. Anárion was frowning gravely, as he always did when he was pondering something difficult. I have to wonder, what was it that made you so certain? A man who could easily order an entire capital city razed to the ground for a matter of pride, sacrificed barbarians by the thousands, and did not even hesitate to condemn Númenóreans to the same fate! Was your bond ever so strong, or you merely wanted to believe that it was? You taught me that wishful thinking should not factor in our calculations, and yet this looks like an instance of it to me.

Elendil reflected upon this question carefully, for Anárion deserved no less. Yes, at some point of his past, he admitted that Pharazôn’s oath could have made him lower his guard, but at the time, such a conclusion had been warranted. The Pharazôn who did those things now was no longer that man, but a shadow of his former self. Should Elendil have deduced this shift by analysing his deeds alone, without looking at him in the face and seeing a different man staring back at him? It was ironic how Men would fill the gaps of absence and lack of knowledge by making up narratives that fit their preconceptions. If the Sceptre ordered cruel deeds, it was Sauron who had done them. Sauron had told the King to conquer the East, to prepare an invasion of the West, to sacrifice all those men, women and children and persecute the Faithful – and yet, somewhere behind the wall of his deceptive powers there was Pharazôn, the Pharazôn Elendil had once known, as if neither Time nor the evil which surrounded him, emanated from him and spoke through his mouth could make a dent on him. It was an illusion that the conscious mind would always have rejected, but that would grow invisible, yet powerful roots underneath it.

Time passed strangely in this isolated place. As it was impossible to measure, its trickle was unbearably slow, and unbearably fast at the same time. Elendil spent most of it alternating between lying prone and resting his back against the wall, trying to spare the contusions that peppered his upper body. At least he could stretch his leg now, and the side of his face was no longer swollen. Whenever he was seeing to his physical injuries, his mind also felt clearer, though at some point the cloud would always return, and with it the dazed stretches of helplessness and the ghosts.

Sometimes, he heard noises coming from beyond the invisible door, such as a sudden flurry of footsteps or a muffled exchange of voices. The first two times that this happened, his body tensed involuntarily, but they never came in again, even after the swill they had served him in that jar was long gone and the food bowl lay empty. Then, after he had counted the fifth sign of life –footsteps again, receding in the distance-, there were no more.

It could still be days, they had said. But, how long had it been since then? All he knew was that his stomach rumbled loudly, and that they had left him alone in this place. Perhaps they were somewhere getting drunk, and forgetting about his existence. Perhaps they had all forgotten about his existence and just left him to die here, in silence and darkness. He wondered if his soul would finally agree to secede from his body if that happened, or if it would hold on to the smallest ounce of strength as if it was still in his power to change his fate. Eluzîni came to him several times, but she no longer spoke a word. Instead, she stared at him with an undefinable mixture of worry and reproach.

“I am alive” he croaked, partly to reassure her, and partly to reassure himself. “I am still alive.”

His next dreams were even more agitated than the previous. Horrible images tormented his mind, of Eluzîni’s chest being pried open with a knife, of Meneldil and Anárion bursting in flames, and a great wave burying his house in Rómenna with everyone inside. After he awoke, and forced his heartbeat to still, he realized that it might be more than just feverish nightmares. By now, he could well be the only member of the house of Andúnië left alive. His image of Eluzîni could be a lingering ghost, trying to trick him with the illusion that he could still meet her in this world.

So much pain. It was his grandfather, Númendil, looking as peaceful as he had in life, yet there was also sadness in his gaze as he set it on Elendil. And so needless that it breaks my heart. Let go, Elendil. It was the Creator who made us weak and mortal, and unable to move mountains, gather winds, or access unlimited reserves of strength on the whim of our minds. A man cannot fight whole armies, wrestle gods or save a doomed people singlehandedly, but he was never meant to. Surrender to your nature, as I did, accept your failure, and break free from this suffering.

Elendil’s eyes were filled with tears. Behind the haze, he had a vision of the old man beckoning to him, and behind him, an open sky shining with a thousand stars. A light breeze caressed his face, and on instinct, he stretched out his hand. But his fingers closed on thin air, and for a moment the feeling of longing was so overwhelming that he could not utter a word.

Númendil was right, he realized. This was futile since the beginning. If he ever had the chance to rise above his ancestors since the time of Elros Tar-Minyatur, he had lost it, and his lineage, together with Númenor, was doomed to sink into the shadows. All that was left was pointless suffering, to atone for the crime of not being a greater, or a luckier man. That was what his father had already realized long ago, and he had tried to rebel against it by confronting the Powers themselves. But at the end of the day, there was no escape for any of them within the circles of this world. They were but puppets in the hands of higher powers, and they could never triumph against fate. Leaving the game was no cowardice: it was wisdom, a wisdom which kept eluding him even now.

No, Elendil. Do not listen to him. Do it for me –for us.

“There is no you, Eluzîni”, Elendil whispered. “You are not here. I can no longer lead anyone, help anyone… save anyone.”

All of a sudden, the stone floor underneath him began shaking with a low rumble. Instinctively, Elendil pressed against the wall for support, but it, too, was shaking. The whole earth was vibrating, as if it was a giant dog trying to dislodge a bunch of fleas from its back. One of the jolts made him lose his balance, and he bumped his head hard against the stone.

Right before he lost consciousness, he thought he could hear the sound of screaming, reaching his ears as if from a great distance.

 

*     *     *     *     *

 

“Mother.” The boy was tugging sharply at her sleeve, but the woman, who was usually able to hear his voice across an entire wing of the house after he woke up from a nightmare, did not seem to notice. Her gaze remained fixed on the piece of paper she had propped against her lap, and she did not even look at him. “Mother, why are you crying? Did someone hurt you?” He frowned, suspicious. “Was it the man who came earlier?”

The woman let go of a tremulous sigh at this, and she absently ran her fingers through his hair.

“No, my dear. He was here on an errand. He brought… letters.”

The boy’s head tilted to the side, trying to decipher one of the lines that were visible to him. Before he could do so, however, she grabbed the paper in her fist until it crumpled, which put a stop to his curiosity.

“It was from your father”, she said, after what seemed like an eternity. “We cannot go visit the Cave again.”

His eyes widened.

“Why?”

This time, Amalket turned to face him. She was no longer crying, but her eyes were red and swollen.

“Because one of his superiors saw me with him, and guessed who I was.”

He had never understood very well why they needed to pretend they were other people to meet with his father in secret. All that he knew was that Mother had crossed half the Island with a warm light in her eyes, that she had sung and played with him for the entire duration of the journey, and never complained about the heat, the crowds, the long distances or the shabby accommodations. And he also knew another thing: that the priest she had identified as his father had looked left and right before allowing himself to gaze at him, with a look of unbearable longing which had stayed in Halideyid’s mind as if seared with fire.

Out of an instinct, he climbed on her lap to pull her into an embrace. The letter fell to the floor at her feet, but she did not even notice. Instead, she put her own arms around him, and kissed the top of his head.

“I should never have told you.” The world shifted, and she was still sitting in the same position, holding a letter in her fist, but he was looking at her from above; a man fully grown. “The secret was not mine to give away. He did not have the chance to reveal it, to look into your eyes and use the words he intended to use, and now you will never give it to him.”

“Then go with him!” Her voice was trembling with rage; a rage that was not directed towards the young man in front of her, despite the appearances. “Go and take your place as his heir! If you do so, he will leave me alone. After all, you are everything that he and the lofty house of Andúnië truly need from me.”

“That is not true, Mother.”

She laughed bitterly.

“Believe me, Halideyid. I would not be welcome among them, and anything that might remind the house of Andúnië that you were born from me will only bring shame and suspicion upon you. They will tell you that you are your father’s son, the heir of a man you only saw twice in your life. They will try to make you forget your ways, your upbringing, your family and your gods, even the language that you speak and the name by which you are known.” For a moment, she seemed to realize his shock, and her voice became a little softer. “And you should do so. You are one of them now.”

The young man needed a considerable effort to swallow the knot from his throat. Suddenly, he saw her as he had never seen her before: small, frail and bent by the invisible weight of an age which would prey on her mortal body long before it touched the brow of his father’s people. His people.

He shook his head, and knelt to hold her hands in his.

“No, Mother. I do not blame Father for my plight, and I will do my duty to the house of Andúnië. But I am, and I always will be your son. You gave me life, put your spirit in me, and made me the man I am now, and however the circumstances around me may change, this will not.”

Amalket smiled sadly. Her hands caressed his hair, as she had done when he was a child and she was comforting him after a bad dream or a painful fall. He was about to open his mouth and tell her that he was too old for this, but the words failed him as the haunting suspicion that she knew better than him entered his mind.

“That is right, my child. You are my son. Even now, it is my spirit which still lives in you. That is why your father, your grandfather, your precious house of Andúnië, could never understand you. That is why all their advice and their examples ring so hollow to you in the darkest times of your life. You are not them, and you will never be.”

His limbs were starting to feel the growing uncomfortableness of the floor again.

“Then what is your advice, Mother?” he asked. “When you only saw darkness around you, what did you do?”

Amalket shook her head.

“You already know the answer to that.”

A chill travelled across his spine as he saw her lying on her deathbed, a thin, weak thing wracked by pain.

“Do not… do not worry for me, Halideyid. I am fine. I-it is just a little illness. I will be up in no time.” Her lips curved into a tight smile, and he wanted to embrace her, but he could not, because she was too far away. Still, he could see it in her eyes, and as recognition dawned in his mind, her image started growing blurry and distant.

“You endured everything”, he whispered. His words, once again, sounded eerie in the silence. “For all your life, until the last breath you took. You clung to life with claws and teeth and pride, though you were aware there was no chance of victory or recognition, and though you lost all the battles you ever fought.” And there lay the difference, he realized, his mind suddenly emerging from its sluggishness to work in a feverish overdrive. This simple, down-to-earth strength that his noble ancestors would have considered beneath themselves, and yet it made all the difference in the world. “And I will… I will endure, too.” He struggled upwards again, listening to the sound of footsteps approaching his door. This time, they sounded much nearer than all the previous instances, and as they drew even closer, he heard the unmistakeable metal clang of keys. He pressed his palms against his eyes, trying to keep the images of her in his mind for as long as possible. “For as long as I live.”

The door turned on its hinges, and Elendil was blinded by the sudden burst of light that shone through the opening.

 

*     *     *     *     *    

 

“Elendil. Elendil!” He blinked back tears, but he was not able to focus and make sense of the blurred shapes moving behind the blinding light. Instead, he held on to the voice, which sounded familiar –impossibly familiar- to his ears. For a moment, he thought he had to be dreaming, and she was just another ghost of those who haunted his visions. After all, she, too, had left her imprint in the deepest crevices of his soul, even though he always did his best to pretend it was not there. “Stand up. There is no time to waste.”

A white, ivory hand was offered to him, and he took it, marvelling at its very real grip. Slowly, painfully, he managed to struggle to an upwards position, first using the wall as support and then cautiously disengaging himself from it. His leg had not healed yet, and various parts of his body were still aching, but he could do it.

“Yes. You can”, she nodded. Her face was inches away from his, and he could see it clearly now: as radiant in its otherworldly perfection as ever, as if the passing of years, so devastating on others, did not have the power to touch her.

“Where is… where is the King?” he asked. His voice came out broken and croaky from lack of use.

“Gone. He left this morning. “Ar Zimraphel informed, except that this made no sense. Ar Pharazôn had him dragged to Armenelos to kill him, to end the threat that he represented. He would not simply have forgotten about him in the rush of the last preparations.

“You made him think”, she replied to his unvoiced question. “His thoughts were heavy and his heart shaken, and you managed to introduce a sliver of doubt in his mind. In the end, there was no one he could trust, so he left you all with a fighting chance of committing treason, hoping that you would hinder one another.”

I gave him that idea?” Elendil could not believe it. He had done what he could, but he would never have imagined that his words could have the power to sway the King’s will in any way.

“In his heart, he never truly wanted to harm you, and you gave him an excuse not to. Thanks to you, he managed to keep one of his oaths unbroken, one less weight to fall upon his head when judgement arrives.” She seemed to anticipate Elendil’s next words, because she nodded. “Your family still lives, but not for long. Like you, they have barely any time left to manoeuvre. Zigûr will be back soon, calling for your blood, and the curse that haunts the dreams of your kin will ride in his footsteps. Forget about your former plans: take every ship capable of sailing, put your people in them and do not look back.”

Elendil shivered. The curse that haunted the dreams of his kin could only mean one thing. The Wave.

“Come forth”, she ordered, and lost in his own turmoil, Elendil could not tell at first whom she was addressing. Once he heard movement behind the Queen, however, he focused on it, and the sight made his heart flutter briefly. She advanced with slow steps, looking at him cautiously from the corner of her eye, as if she was not sure of his reaction to her presence.

“Lady Fíriel”, he mouthed, but when he saw her flinch, his gaze grew warmer. “Granddaughter. I am glad that you are well.”

This did not reassure Ilmarë’s daughter as much as he had hoped. Instead of greeting him back, she remained where she was, flanking Ar Zimraphel in silence.

“You will be heading East now. Nobody will hinder you or detain you, because you will be in the company of my son”, the Queen explained. Now, Elendil realized that there was someone else behind Fíriel, someone whose features remained hidden in darkness, as they had been for most of his life. “That is the price I set for your life and freedom: you must swear an oath to take the Prince of the West to the mainland safely, and protect him from Zigûr, your people, and anyone who may try to harm him.”

Elendil’s heart sunk at this. He would have done anything for Ar Zimraphel in exchange for what she had done for him, and, Queen of Númenor or not, he would have followed the wishes of a mother trying to save her child. But this –it was the only thing that he could not do.

“I am sorry, my Queen. I can be responsible for any life under the sky, but that one. Sauron’s enchantments will not endure in the mainland, and without them…”

The shadows stirred, and Gimilzagar’s melancholy features emerged.

“I will not go, Mother. Lord Elendil is right, there is no place for me where they are going. And there should not be.”

“Then I will stay here with you!” Fíriel sounded very upset, and Elendil’s heart sank further. In his heart, he cursed Sauron and his black sorcery.

“I have not asked the lord of Andúnië to swear an oath to keep you alive by invoking the Deliverer and killing others”, Ar Zimraphel spoke, as calm and regal as she had been for all the conversation. “I have asked him to take you to the mainland and protect you from those who may wish to harm you. I am well aware that he can do no more.”

“But then…” Fíriel began, but she fell silent as soon as the Queen’s gaze fell upon her.

“Without you, Lord Elendil and Fíriel will never be able to reach Rómenna. And after that, who knows?” She caressed her son’s face. “You still have time: months of life which are worth being lived, and battles which are worth being fought. Once you step beyond the reach of the shadow which has always governed your steps, there is no telling what might happen. Perhaps the Elves Lord Elendil has befriended can save you with their magic.”

They would recoil in horror, the lord of Andúnië thought, an acute awareness of the younger man’s unspeakable tragedy shaking him to the core. Still, once that Fíriel’s safety was in question, the Prince did not protest further.

“You are by far the best man among all those who fell in love with me”, the Queen smiled, turning towards Elendil. “That is why I could never return your feelings.”

The lord of Andúnië forced an unexpected knot down his throat.

“Come with us, my Queen”, he said. The words came out with greater emotion than he had expected, like a plea. “We can take you to safety, too.”

A veil of melancholy fell on her eyes, and for a brief instant she appeared like a mortal woman to him, sad and afraid.

“I cannot see beyond the dark swirl that sucks my body into the deep. That is where my road ends, but not yours.” “You do not die. I cannot see you die, and I can see everyone else. Even myself. Why is that? she had asked him in the Palace gardens that day, so long ago that it almost seemed like a different life. “Only you can find where it leads.”

Elendil could not accept this, any more than he had accepted it back then. And now, after the visions he had been granted in his ordeal, he was more aware than ever of Amalket’s spirit living underneath his skin, and her contempt for noble-sounding pretexts not to fight.

“How do we know that this outcome cannot be changed, if we do not even try?”

Her moment of vulnerability was over at this, substituted by her usual expression of disdain at those who could not see what she saw, or understand the things that she understood.

“Spoken like one who is truly ignorant of the workings of fate. Let us return to the surface now, there is no more time to waste in foolishness. Gimilzagar, hold on to Fíriel and do not let go.” Immediately after she had said this, a tremor shook the earth, and Elendil almost lost his footing again. “Come with us.”

“I will not leave you to face Sauron alone” he insisted stubbornly. “You are still the Queen of Númenor, and it is my duty to protect you.”

“Not any longer.” She took him by the arm, somehow managing to avoid the spots where contact would cause him pain, and as she guided him towards the stairs, she fixed him with her unfathomable black eyes. “Do you know how long you spent buried in the bowels of the earth, Lord Elendil? Do you know how many days you were lying in shadows before you stepped back into the light? Three. Think about it.”

Shock made the lord of Andúnië temporarily rudderless, and he followed her lead in docile silence. All he could do, even as he heard her call out orders to the terrified Guards who stood upstairs, and take her son away from a fidgeting Fíriel to speak to him in private, was contemplate the meaning of her words.

He came back from the Darkness in triumph. This figment of the popular litany emerged to the forefront of his mind, together with his memories of a ritual every Númenórean had been familiar with for centuries. For many generations -since the shadow fell upon the Island, the house of Andúnië claimed- every heir to the Sceptre had passed under the Meneltarma after the burial of his father, only to emerge from the caves three days later and take his rightful place as King of Númenor. That ceremony had been deeply connected with the cult of Melkor as it used to be before Sauron’s arrival, and the old myths which had the so-called King of Armenelos die for mankind only to experience a glorious rebirth. As such, it had no place among the true traditions, bequeathed to them by the Elves, and yet its strength as a symbol was undeniable, like so many other weeds which had silently grown around the trappings of power since Ar Adunakhôr took the Sceptre.

Hail the King! they had sung, before the gates of the dead. But Elendil was no king: he was an exile and a fugitive, and if Númenor was truly doomed, he would be so until the day that he died.

“If anyone can see beyond the end of Númenor and the death of all prophecies, it is you.” Ar Zimraphel was already back; behind her, the Prince of the West’s face was pale and gaunt. “These Guards will take you to the stables, where the horses and the Prince’s carriage will be waiting for you. Farewell, Lord Elendil. Live on, and endure for all of us.”

Endure. Suddenly, he had a vision of Amalket smiling at him with the Queen’s lips, and looking at him as she had done in his dream. Then, as fast as it had come, she was gone again, and Ar Zimraphel was giving her back to him.

With a last, haunted look in her direction, Elendil turned away, and limped after the rest of the improvised party.

Flight

Read Flight

Back when he had been led through the streets of Armenelos days ago, what Elendil had glimpsed of the city did not look too different from his memories of the place where he had spent his childhood and youth. There had been groups of people walking down the streets, blocking the way until they reluctantly stood aside for horses and carts, vendors peddling their wares to indifferent passers-by while old women peered at them from their windows, and busy marketplaces. Only the ominous clouds of smoke hanging over the dome of the New Temple bore witness to the changes that had taken place in those years; of the darkness which, like an evil curse, had become one with the very air those people breathed, until they were no longer able to feel its presence.

Now that he was following the same path again in the opposite direction, however, the lord of Andúnië was left speechless by the spectacle offered before his eyes. The previously crowded streets were empty, though the advance of his group, unimpeded by people, was slowed by debris fallen from the crumbling old buildings and left to lie upon the pavement. At some point, he caught glimpses of bodies buried under the rubble. In the dungeons of the Palace, he had felt the earth shake, but the walls had been too solid, and he too cut away from the outside world to imagine how destructive the successive earthquakes must have been for those on the surface. Now, crossing Armenelos was almost like walking through a city after it had been sacked and destroyed, such as the villages in the East of Arne after the Mordor campaign, or the ruins of Gadir. As if the war was already over, and they had lost.

“The war is far from over”, the Prince of the West remarked. It was the first time he had broken his silence since their departure from the Palace, and his eyes were dull and fixed upon some indeterminate spot. “And so is the destruction.”

“Where did everybody go?” Elendil asked. The younger man did not look at him this time either.

“The pious ones have flocked to the Temple, because they think Zigûr will be able to protect them. Others have fled the city, and are trying to put as much distance between it and themselves as possible.”

It was not long afterwards that they found the second group. The checkpoints and roads were crowded with refugees heading East; some on carts and horses where they carried their belongings, but most of them on foot. Elendil’s party could only advance through the thick agglomerations because the riders who flanked their carriage –all members of Ar Pharazôn’s Palace Guard- intimidated their fellow travellers enough to convince them to stand aside and open a path for them. Still, emotions were volatile in this charged atmosphere, and at some point Elendil had to wonder if they would truly be able to make it to the end of their journey. They made as few stops as they could, but finding replacements for exhausted horses was an almost impossible endeavour, and when they attempted to rest, only the Guards on duty prevented the most desperate from creeping on them and stealing their food and mounts. Once the Prince was recognized, rumours spread like a raging fire, and Elendil had the feeling that they were leaving a trail of despair in their wake. For if the Prince of the West was on the road with them, trying to reach the East, what hope was there for Númenor?

During the journey, conversation between Gimilzagar and him was kept to a bare minimum. There did not seem to be much to say while the world crumbled, and even less to a stranger, who appeared merely resigned to have him as travelling companion because of an arrangement made by a mother who had remained behind to die. An arrangement that seemed hopeless on the young man’s end, Elendil thought, though the memory of Ar Zimraphel’s sharp glance made him wonder. Would she have entrusted him with the life of her son, knowing that he was doomed? Despite her talk about fate in their last conversation, Elendil did not believe for a moment that she would play this dangerous game, even less lose her life to it, just to save a dead man. But then, all those thoughts always hurtled against the same wall: no matter how many possibilities he scrutinized, he was not able to see how Gimilzagar could ever survive.

And neither did Fíriel, he realized. She did not speak to Elendil either, preferring to exchange what few words she felt like speaking with the two women who had followed her from the Palace. On the first day, whenever he caught her looking at him, she would immediately avert her glance. Elendil did his best to smile at her, to ask her for help with his wounds and his injured leg, and convey how glad he was to have her by his side despite the terrible circumstances which surrounded them, but she always answered in distraught monosyllables. Only when they stopped to rest the horses at night, she broke her own rule to stare at him defiantly, then crept by the Prince’s side to throw her arms around his body. After she fell asleep, her grip on him grew tighter, poignantly reminding Elendil of a very young Ilmarë, holding on to her favourite doll after she had seen her swallowed by the raging waters in a nightmare.

Was the mother’s inescapable fate destined to be visited upon the daughter as well? To love, only to lose what they loved, and watch it escape their grasp no matter how hard they tried to hold on to it. For a brief instant of madness under the veiled moonlight, he found it in himself to understand Ar Pharazôn’s first steps towards the darkness, when an ancient, powerful spirit had told him that he could save his child in exchange for so little –an old tree, a handful of lives already lost.

The next morning, Gimilzagar’s inscrutable glance was fixed on him, and Elendil could not help but wonder if he had sensed his thoughts. At times, the Prince even looked as if he would want to say something, but he did not, and Elendil did not press him. It had been a temporary weakness of his mind, and there was already too much on their plate at the moment to dwell on a tragedy that lay ahead and that, like everything else, depended upon their survival.

The checkpoint to enter the Governor’s territory was very different from the ones they had crossed after they left Armenelos. There, the men on duty, scared and overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of people coming their way, had opened the gates and let everybody out. This one, however, had been reinforced with a battalion of the best soldiers remaining in the garrison of Sor, with orders not to allow in the hordes of refugees coming to spread panic and turmoil across the East of the Island. The first waves had already washed upon this wall of rock, and the spectacle was heart-wrenching: thousands of people standing at one side of the wall, crowding the gate, pleading that they had business, family, loved ones in Sor, only to be roughly pushed away. Many had camped here, and women busied themselves building fires and looking after their children with a listless look in their eyes. The desperate tried to scale the wall, desisting briefly after a barrage of warning arrows injured the most daring among them. Others, more familiar with the terrain, left the road in the direction of the hills, where they would eventually find unguarded spots to make the crossing.

Thanks to the riders, their party once again managed to bypass the crowds and reach the vicinity of the gates. Elendil saw that many stared wide-eyed at the carriage, and pointed at it, whispering among themselves.

“Open the gates”, the head of their escort ordered, in an authoritative voice. The soldiers were looking at them in surprise, but their leader merely frowned.

“We are not authorized to do this for anybody. And our orders come straight from the Governor himself, so I could not care less for who might be in that carriage. They could be the…”

“… the Prince of the West, and heir to the Sceptre of Númenor and Middle-Earth?” Gimilzagar interrupted him, stepping outside to come face to face with the man. For a moment, there was no trace of the elusive demeanour he had exhibited during the trip: he appeared full of arrogance, an excellent copy of Ar Pharazôn himself.

The soldier gaped. Then, amid a growing rumble of murmurations, he fell to his knees and bowed his head.

“I… I am sorry. I- we were not informed of your arrival, my lord prince.”

“Stop grovelling, and open the gates. I have urgent business in Sor, and I have already wasted enough of my time speaking to you.”

The soldier stood up like a resort, but then appeared to hesitate again. His gaze wandered across the crowd standing around them, taking note of the way they pressed closer and closer, and how the general mood had shifted when they heard that the gates would open. Elendil could imagine the news travelling as fast as fire in the woods, among the people gathering together in anticipation.

“But, my lord prince… if we open the gates now, there will be a riot!” he protested. “Perhaps, if your noble party would consent to leave their horses and carriage here, we could find arrangements to your satisfaction on the other side. We have fine horses…”

The man was not wrong: if the gates were opened wide enough for their carriage and mounted men to pass, other people would try to push their way in. On the other hand, those inside the carriage could not afford to be recognized and taken to the Governor in Sor. If that happened, it would be an unacceptable delay at best, and the end of all their hopes at worst.

“That is none of my concern”, the Prince of the West replied coldly, putting an end to the argument. Then, he turned his back to the man to climb inside the carriage again. As he took back his seat among them, Elendil could see his composure crumble, and the last traces of Pharazôn vanish to leave behind an ashen-faced young man who sought Fíriel’s hand. She pressed it in silence.

Soon, the carriage lurched and began slowly moving forwards, and the first shouts and screams reached Elendil’s ears. Before they left the place, he saw scenes of soldiers charging, people running, and men trying to prevent the gate from closing again while braving a barrage of arrows.

Meanwhile, the Prince of the West shivered on his seat. Elendil took his eyes away from the violence to look at him, wondering what could have happened to shake him so deeply. Ar Pharazôn’s son may not be like his father, but for years he had been a witness to hundreds of scenes of death and carnage, much worse than this one.

“You are right, Lord Elendil. I have seen death before”, he spoke, once the trembling had subsided and Fíriel had retreated to gaze morosely through the window. “But now, everything I see is death. Those soldiers following the Governor’s orders to defend this wall, the people who press against it with their women and children, trying to escape a threat whose nature they ignore. The people who live at the other side, who have heard worrying tidings coming from the West, and do not know whether to believe them or not. The trees, the animals, the plants, even the hills stretching beyond the horizon. They are all dead. Do you understand, Lord Elendil? Dead.”

“We are not dead.” It had become so rare to hear Fíriel’s voice that Elendil thought he had imagined it. “Not yet.”

Elendil shook his head.

“No, we are not. We are alive and we still have a chance left, thanks to you, my lord prince. I can promise you that I will not waste it, and that I will keep Death at bay and away from us for as long as I am able.”

As he had expected, Gimilzagar did not answer.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Elendur peered through the window at the garden where his three cousins sat, still deep in conversation. About thirty paces away –quite out of earshot-, a couple of the Governor’s guards were leaning on a tree, looking quite disinterested by whatever their charges were discussing. One of them was laughing, probably at some stupid joke, while his companion took advantage of his temporary distraction to throw lascivious glances in Faniel’s direction. Feeling his frustration increase at the speed of lightning, the young man repressed a groan, and before he knew what he was doing he was pacing around his room like a caged beast.

“You cannot want to go to the bathroom again”, a voice spoke behind him. He stopped in his tracks, in order to give the man a murderous look.

“I am keeping the stiffness away from my legs. If you will not let me out to exercise in the garden, I will have to do it here.”

The Guard from Sor shrugged. He was sitting in one of Elendur’s chairs, his feet insolently resting upon Elendur’s low table.

“You can do cartwheels if you want, as long as you remain in my line of sight. You already got me in trouble once, and I will not let it happen again.”

Oh, yes, the commander had been very, very angry when Elendur managed to evade the vigilance long enough to exchange words with his father. And it was not as if they even had any idea that he had used that brief interview to tell Isildur of Tal Elmar’s plan. It was just the way they operated: they kept strict watch over the men in the house and took note of their slightest movement, preventing them from communicating with one another. But when it came to the women, their attitude became very different. At least around Irimë, Eluzîni or Ilmarë they still remained mildly suspicious, if always at a distance, but they barely ever checked on Mother, whom they considered helpless since she fainted on the night they took Grandfather away. As for his cousins, their guardians actually seemed to believe that their conversations, even in captivity, would orbit around inane things like dresses, hairstyles, or perhaps young men.

That was why Elendur had been forced to remain inactive, when he should have been the one coordinating everything. And, what was even worse as far as he was concerned: the main role in the whole operation had been left to them. Father had swallowed his pride –and perhaps more than that- to obtain some private time with his wife from their guardians, and after their night together, Mother had brought some medicine for little Meneldil, which gave her an opening to slip a note to her sister. Aunt Irimë was allowed to talk to her daughters, if always under surveillance, but knowing her, Elendur was sure that the attention of the Guards would have drifted so far away after the first half hour of pontificating that she could have mentioned the imminent landing of the Host of the Valar in the harbour of Sor, and they would not have been listening to her. And now, because those guards were a bunch of idiots, the fate of their family rested upon the shoulders of the three banes of Elendur’s existence, who would steal the best chance he had had in his life to be a hero.

“You already know that looks will not kill me, boy”, the Guard sneered again. “You have been trying it for days.”

I could have killed you ten times already, you overconfident bastard, Elendur wanted to say, but he was able to repress the urge. He would not be bluffing: Tal Elmar had taught him as many ways to creep on a man who lowered his guard as much as this one and end his life without the need for weapons. But Father had forbidden him from doing any such thing, as they could not give the game away before they managed to communicate with those who waited outside. Or rather, before the girls managed to do that, he corrected himself, seething anew at the unfairness of life.

“If you think I am so helpless, perhaps you should let me go outside” he changed tack instead. “After all, what harm could I do? There’s more of your friends there, and they are also guarding all the gates.”

“Oh, you would like that, wouldn’t you?” The Guard smiled. “The problem is that you are way too devious to be kept in anything other than a short leash. So I advise you to stop turning in circles, sit down, and find another way to keep yourself occupied. Like reading a book, painting, writing poetry, and those things noblemen and rich merchants do to fill their enormous amount of free time. Now I think about it -you are one of them, aren’t you?”

Elendur seethed, but he bit his lip and pretended to ignore the jibe to stare at the window again. If only he could have left with Tal Elmar that night, he thought. He could have slipped away with him while the Governor’s men were busy arresting the others, and he knew he had the presence of mind and the skill to jump the wall and climb down that cliff in the dark. But it had been the barbarian himself who forbade him to follow. He was Isildur’s heir, and his existence was well known to both the Governor and his henchmen. If he should be found missing, every inch of Rómenna would be combed, and they would be tracked and caught. They would not be keeping a list of the barbarians Isildur might or might not have brought from the mainland, but they would be keeping a list of his family, and Tal Elmar needed to escape their notice to be able to work unimpeded. Just like a woman, a barbarian was someone those dimwits would never take seriously enough, which gave them all the advantage. Between them, they would do all the work, while Elendur sat on this room and listened to the Guard’s mockery.

At that moment, his eye caught movement under his window, and he could not help leaning in to look closer. As he did so, he saw Faniel and Findis stand up, while Lindissë alone remained sitting upon the table, her gaze fixed on her book with a little too much intensity to denote a true interest in her reading. Faniel made an airy gesture, and to Elendur’s shock, he realized she was summoning the guards who leaned on the tree. To his even greater shock, they answered the summons as fast as if they were trained servants. There was a conversation, which grew tense at some points, until it suddenly died out. Then one of the two men, Faniel and Findis began walking towards the lush back gardens, while his companion remained where he was, a resentful look evident in his eyes as he watched them leave. Only after they had disappeared from his sight, he tore his gaze away and fixed it on his sole remaining charge, who had not looked up from her book in all that time. His lips moved, as if muttering a curse.

Elendur closed the window and walked away from it, his innards in great turmoil. Behind him, the Guard made some retort, but the young man was not even able to hear what he had said over the blood roaring in his ears. What were those witless women doing? They were going to ruin everything. Those men would never, ever fall for something as obvious as this. Who on Earth had come up what that stupid plan, and let the fate of all of them hinge on it?

“Damn you”, he muttered mechanically, pressing his forehead against the stone wall until its coolness managed to penetrate his agitation and sharpen his senses again. “Damn you all.”

The Guard laughed.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

“No.” Lindissë’s normally kind face held an expression of outrage, and her round cheeks were the colour of a ripe cherry. “You cannot possibly be thinking of doing that.”

Findis’ grey eyes narrowed.

“It is the perfect plan. Faniel is devious, and she inherited Grandmother’s talent for acting. You only need to ask all those young men in Rómenna. Also, have you noticed the way they are looking at her?” Involuntarily, Lindissë gazed in the men’s direction, and her blush increased. “If she claims that she wants to take a walk in the back garden where there are no eyes, they will be fighting for the chance to follow her.”

“And what about you? Won’t your presence be a problem?”

Exactly.” Findis’ voice had a slightly exasperated edge now. “I will trail her footsteps to make sure Faniel is never alone with him. But once nobody can see us, she will try to send me away. I will not want to go, but she will make him do it. And that will give me my opening!”

“Faniel, you should not… you cannot want to… “Lindissë stuttered, too embarrassed to put her misgivings into words. “Those horrible, horrible men!”

Their eldest sister had stayed quiet during their argument, though in the meantime, an expert observer could have noticed how she pretended to lean casually on the table, showing the Guards her most flattering profile. Now, as she listened to the outburst, her lips curved in a small smile.

“I am still reeling from the impression of hearing someone who so closely resembles Mother come up with this plan. As soon as I manage to overcome it, I will tell you if I am ready to do it or not.” The smile grew impish. “Though the one to the right does not look so horrible. I bet he is popular with women.”

“Not so horrible?” Lindissë gasped. “They threatened to kill Meneldil!”

“Oh, come on! You have to admit his constant crying is annoying.” For a while, she withstood her sister’s angry looks with perfect aplomb, then shook her head and laughed. Findis nodded in approval.

“If she can fool you, Lindissë, she can definitely fool him” the youngest of the sisters said. “After all, he does not know her.”

“You are both mean.” Lindissë glowered. “And Mother will be very angry when she hears about this.”

Faniel’s expression hardened.

“Mother will be grateful if I succeed, just like everybody else in the family.” Standing up with what looked like pure, unpremeditated grace, she waved at the men who stood near the tree. “Meanwhile, you can stay here and look distressed. It will help lend credibility to our act.”

“Faniel!” Lindissë called after her, but she was already gone. She turned towards Findis, who had also stood up to follow their sister. “Findis, please. Do not go.”

Her younger sister arched an eyebrow.

“And leave them alone?” Lindissë opened her mouth again, then closed it, looking for a moment like a gaping fish. Taking advantage of her momentary confusion, Findis ran after their sister.

Once she reached her, she saw that the two men seemed to have settled their own dispute in a similarly arbitrary way: the older of the two –who unfortunately was not the one to the right- had ordered the younger to stay put, and the latter did not look happy at all with the arrangement. Still, his mood seemed to improve a little once that Findis stood next to her sister and announced, with a determined frown, that she would accompany her.

“Nobody asked you to come, you little…!” Faniel hissed. Findis shrugged.

“And yet, I am here. And I have as much right to stretch my legs as you do.”

The older Guard looked at her as if she was a bug he would have loved to squish.

“We will be back for you.”

“Perhaps we should take all three of them for a walk” the younger Guard suggested maliciously. The other’s glare turned towards him.

“I do not remember asking for your opinion.”

Fine”, Faniel surrendered. The Guard stared at her, but she winked at him before he could open his mouth.

“She is doing this on Mother’s orders”, she whispered. “But we will get rid of her.”

Looking only half-convinced, he gestured at Findis to follow.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Time seemed to stretch into an infinity of ages while her sisters were away from her sight. Lindissë’s mind was out of control, and it could not stop making up horrible scenarios, where Faniel’s purity was defiled by the coarse hands of the foul monster who had threatened to kill her family and kept them imprisoned. In some of them, she cried and tried to struggle, but was overwhelmed by his brute strength; in others, which she found even more disturbing, the young woman smiled and submitted to the indignity of her own will.

When she finally heard voices, the frenzy she had worked herself into was so great that she dropped her book as if it burned her hands, and stood up like a resort. The three of them were walking side by side, Findis staring ahead with a determined gaze, while Faniel – well, she looked dishevelled, but her robes were not torn, which could mean that she had not struggled. Lindissë tried not to think of the other scenario, but she could not prevent herself from staring at the man’s face for clues. Unfortunately, he was also feigning, so there were no clear signs of dissatisfaction… or of the opposite.

Once they came to the place where his companion awaited sullenly, Faniel checked that Findis was not looking and tapped the Guard on the arm before departing. Lindissë’s spirit sunk.

“What happened?” she asked, her anxiety overcoming even her wish to rail at them. Findis smiled in triumph.

“It is done. I left Uncle’s message for Tal Elmar on the appointed spot, and the horny dog did not even notice.”

Uncle’s message. The mission. On an intellectual level, she was aware that this was the most important thing, the thread from which their fortunes hung, and the fate of the Faithful. But they said that intellect was not her strongest suit, and right now she could not care less about what Findis had been doing.

“Faniel, what happened?” she insisted. Her eldest sister approached her, then lowered her head slowly until she could whisper in her ear.

“I lost my virginity”. When Lindissë jumped, she shook her head with a look of exasperation. “Really, how stupid can you be? I am fine. After all, we sent Findis away, but she could still be spying on us. It would have been an imprudence, and it could cost him his post. And without his post, he would not be able to feed his family, can you imagine?” She sat down, pretending to be briefly absorbed by her fingernails. “We only had time for a few passionate kisses, and a promise to meet there tomorrow at midnight, when he is on guard duty again.”

“I hope you are not thinking of going”, Lindissë scowled. Faniel laughed.

“Of course I will. Because tomorrow at midnight is the time set for Tal Elmar’s attack, and the back garden is the spot they will use to sneak in. And when they do, he will be too distracted to raise the alarm – at least until they slit his throat.”

Lindissë was horrified.

“That… that is too dangerous!”

“I am old enough to take care of myself.”

“When Mother hears…”

“Unfortunately, we have no time to tell Mother. The news must be circulated faster”, Findis intervened. “And for that, we need Aunt Irissë.”

“And what excuse do we have to meet with her?”

“Faniel no longer needs any excuses to do anything. He will do what she wants now, at least until he has what he wants.”

Lindissë cringed at the matter-of-factness in her little sister’s voice.

“I cannot understand how you can be so cold about this”, she said. “You scare me.”

Faniel sighed. As she gazed at her younger sister, there was a change in her expression: her flippancy deserted her, and the self-satisfied smile froze in her lips, turning into a determined grimace.

“You are scared of the wrong people, then”, she concluded, pulling herself up to her feet. “They took Grandfather away, and they will take us too, one by one. We can either be cold, or be dead.”

Findis stood up too, and grabbed Lindissë’s arm so she would do the same. Too stunned to resist, she obeyed, and after a moment, she could see the Guards rushing to escort them back indoors.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Tal Elmar gazed at the cliff with a critical eye. Climbing it would not be as difficult as it had been back when he had to do the opposite, escaping the vigilance of the Guards who had broken inside the Andúnië house like bulls on a rampage. The people with him were young men for the most part, and fishermen, used to walking on rocks. Still, he was not too happy with their idea of stealth. To him, all Númenóreans were noisy and careless, and no matter how often he admonished them, reminding them of the imperative need for silence, he did not trust their ability to follow his instructions. But the die was cast, as the Islanders used to say, and there was no more room to manoeuvre or delay his plans. Considering how many of the Governor’s men had been seen in Rómenna in the last days, it was already a miracle that he had been able to enter so many Faithful houses to recruit their inhabitants for his cause without being caught. And when some mysterious order summoned most of the armed force away because of unspecified troubles in the West, some in the house of Andúnië would have called it the favour of the Valar.

Tal Elmar did not know if there were powerful, wise, all-seeing beings in the farthest West of the world. What he knew was that good luck was a rare gift, and that it should never be squandered. Otherwise, it risked turning into bad luck, for no god in this world was a friend to mortals who rejected his favour.

“Follow me”, he whispered to those closest to him. “Put your feet where I put them. And for the last time, be silent.”

Isildur would be waiting for him above, he thought, as he gritted his teeth and began the ascension. Once Tal Elmar rescued him, the proud Acting Lord of Andúnië would have to choke on all those loud words he had spoken when they argued about Tal Elmar going to the mainland to fight in his wars. He would need to admit that he had been wrong, that Tal Elmar was not so easy to kill as he had thought, and that his help was more necessary than he had believed. Back then, the barbarian had warned him that nobody was safe in the mainland, but now Ar Pharazôn the Golden had proved that this could be true of Númenor as well. Just the thought of someone like Isildur having to admit defeat gave Tal Elmar the strength to put his life on the line a hundred times, even leaving out the kisses with which they would make peace afterwards.

Once he had climbed most of the cliff’s surface, he stopped briefly in his tracks. From where he was now, he could already see the garden wall, looming dark over his head. Below his feet, however, there was a large gap: those who followed him were too slow, and he had easily left them behind. Muttering a curse, he waited, and once that they came near enough, he signalled at them to make haste. Quite a few were not looking as brave as they had been back on the ground, and at least one appeared to be a little sick. It was a very young man –at least for Númenórean standards-, around Elendur’s age, who kept obsessively looking down to see if his companions followed.

“Do not look down. Ever”, Tal Elmar admonished with an intent hiss.

Luckily, they made it to the wall without any accidents, and whatever superfluous noises they made, it appeared that their enemies were also Númenórean enough not to be alerted by them. When they arrived to the part where the wall could be climbed more easily, Tal Elmar motioned at them to stay still. After he was sure that everyone had understood, he began the climb, his ear intent for traces of human presence, whether foe or friend.

It did not take him too long to find what he was seeking. As he stood there, balancing his weight on his precarious perch, he heard a moan, and then, shortly afterwards, a second one. Both seemed to come from a man, though soon he heard a woman’s voice too, saying something. It did not take long to recognize it as the voice of Lady Faniel, Anárion’s firstborn. The shock he felt at the idea that she would be so far from her bed, making an enemy guard moan robbed him of his wits for a moment, until he remembered everything that was at stake. Slowly, and cautiously, he lifted his head, and peered at the other side of the wall.

The man was giving him his back, but he had stopped making noises now. Behind him, Lady Faniel raised her gaze, and her eyes swept across Tal Elmar, not showing any signs of recognition. Still, from that moment on, she appeared intent on manoeuvring the Guard so he would never look in that direction. When the barbarian flashed his blade and it caught the moonlight, he saw her eyes darken, and she gave him an almost imperceptible nod. Tal Elmar approached them in complete silence, until he was in a good enough position to cover the man’s mouth and slit his throat in a quick yet effective swipe. His struggle was agonic but soundless, and as the body went inert in Tal Elmar’s arms, he lowered him carefully on the wet ground.

“How many are there now in this part of the garden, my lady?” he asked. Faniel did not answer. She did not even look at him, mesmerized by the blood flowing in rivulets away from the corpse. Tal Elmar turned away from her momentarily, and went back to the wall to signal to the others.

“There are no more Guards here” she said at last, her voice very low. “He… wanted to be alone with me.”

“That was very well done, my lady”, Tal Elmar nodded. She did not smile at the praise, though she nodded in greeting at the men who lowered their bodies down the wall.

“They are waiting for your signal”, she whispered after a while, her head pointing in the direction of the house. The barbarian looked for a large tree, which he climbed until he was high enough to see part of the sprawling mansion where the Andúnië family lived. Once there, he cleared his throat, and let go of the agreed-upon signal: the chant of a night bird from the forests of Agar, repeated thrice.

From then on, things happened fast. Asking Lady Faniel to remain next to the Guard’s corpse, and not to move or make a sound, Tal Elmar organized the others for the attack. They were to spread out and advance as quietly as possible, to confuse the enemy and delay the alarm as much as they could. Thanks to the message, they already knew the approximate location and number of the Guards holding the place, which meant that in Agar it would have been a simple matter of stealth. Here, however, there were many careless Númenoreans fighting, so their advantage did not last long, and the companion of the second man they killed was already calling for help. From then on, speed became all that could avail them.

“To the house!” Tal Elmar shouted. Raising his gaze even while he ran, he saw light on many windows, and knew that Isildur, Elendur and the others must also be struggling to overcome the enemy inside. He muttered a prayer for their success.

The prayer became stuck in his throat as, all of a sudden, he felt the earth begin trembling under his feet.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

It might have been a sign of the displeasure of Heaven for the sins of Númenor, but, to Isildur, the earthquake had been a blessing. Cornered by two heavily armed Guards, an old stone ornament had fallen on the head of one of them, leaving him alone with the other, whose brief distraction as he gazed in horror at his companion’s crushed head had served Isildur to make short work of him. Afterwards, he had some time to recover and explore his surroundings, but he saw no more men coming in his direction. After briefly pondering the situation, he decided to head outside, trying not to think of Elendur, whom he had sent to protect the women and Meneldil. Anárion would also be there with them, but Isildur’s blood boiled, and he felt the need to be in the thick of the fight.

In the porch, he heard voices, and stopped in his tracks to avoid been seen by those of the Governor’s men who were using that spot to regroup. Their commander was among them, yelling orders in the slightly unhinged tone used by men whose control of the situation was escaping their grasp. Isildur counted thirteen men, some of them already wounded.

“It is imperative that we manage to send a man through that horde of barbarians so he can raise the alarm and bring reinforcements before it’s too late!” the commander was shouting. “And that must be done before they get here!”

“Too late”, a voice, which Isildur knew very well, interrupted the man’s tirade. Tal Elmar was at the foot of the stairs, sword in hand, and smiling. Despite the fact that he did not wear armour, and that he was leaner and shorter than the Númenóreans, something in the moonlight glow that fell upon his features, or perhaps in the tone of his voice, made him appear infinitely dangerous. Isildur felt a little weak on the knees, though he was able to shake away the unseemly feeling fast enough. Cursing at himself, he proceeded to study the force that came with Tal Elmar. They were more numerous than the enemy, but not as well armed or trained. Worse: they were not barbarians, as the man seemed to have believed until now because of their attack tactics, but mostly fishermen and peasants from Rómenna, with few true warriors among them. For the Governor’s men, to think that they still had a chance to overcome their enemy might not be a difficult conclusion to reach. Unless…

“Surrender, and you will live”, Isildur spoke firmly, walking across the threshold of the door with his bloodied sword in his hand. “Our people stormed through the back of the house while you were fighting in the front, and now you are surrounded.”

The Guards paled, and their eyes all sought their commander for a cue. But the once proud soldier seemed too overwhelmed to make decisions at the moment. He stared at Isildur, pointing his sword at him in rage.

You…!”

The son of Elendil immediately took a battle stance.

“Although killing you would be more satisfying, I admit. You have committed many offences against the house of Andúnië, and I would have my revenge for them.” He smiled, a smile as deadly as the glint of steel. “The Haradrim and the Forest People taught me many ways to destroy an enemy, some of them quite creative.”

A sword made a sharp clang as it fell on the marble floor. It did not belong to the commander, but to one of his men, who sported a large gash on the side of his face. Little by little, his companions followed his example, and Isildur made a sign to his men to approach and tie them up.

“That was a good use of intimidation” Tal Elmar spoke, as he approached him. “I suppose you no longer think of it as a bunch of lies that cowardly barbarians tell to hoodwink fools.”

Isildur longed to kiss him hard on the mouth, but instead, he embraced him.

“That was well done, Tal Elmar. The house of Andúnië lies forever in your debt, and so do I”, he spoke, pulling away. “If we survive this, you may ask for anything you want of me, and it will be yours.”

Just as he had imagined, Tal Elmar did not hesitate.

“I want your permission to fight by your side.”

“Isildur!” It was Irissë, rushing past the gate to throw herself in his arms. “Thank the Valar you are safe! And you, Tal Elmar, you saved us! Oh, thank you, thank you!”

“We are not saved yet.” Isildur pried his limbs away with as much dignity as he was able. “Are the others well?”

“Yes. They are coming this way now. I think your brother has gone to retrieve the scion of the White Tree and the other heirlooms of your house. He is saying we must take ship to the mainland right away. Is that true, Isildur? Are we… leaving Númenor?”

Just like Anárion, always a step ahead. Isildur sighed, allowing the enormity of the decisions that awaited him to wash upon his mind. All of a sudden, a tiny, cowardly part of him wished he was still imprisoned.

“Irimë is looking for her daughter Faniel. I…” For a moment, Irissë’s composure seemed to falter, and she looked at Tal Elmar with hesitation. “I… have been led to believe that you may know where she is.”

“I will take you to her, my lady”, Tal Elmar bowed, offering her his hand.

 

The Hour Unlooked For

Read The Hour Unlooked For

The world had gone mad. As they left the house, gathered their supporters and marched on Rómenna, Isildur could not help but remember old sailor stories about ships suddenly falling off the edges of the earth and reaching a place ruled by the opposite laws, where fish flew and birds swam, and the Sun rose from the West to set on the East. Nobody pursued them, despite the fact that they had just overthrown the vigilance of the Governor’s men; nobody stood on their way, and when they entered the town, they were greeted by the sight of empty streets and closed windows. The hall of the Town Council was barely defended; once they took it, they only found a few minor councilmen inside. Ashen-faced, one of the captives explained that their more powerful colleagues had departed for Sor to seek an urgent audience with the Governor about the precarious state of their population’s security, leaving them in charge of the town. The Guards and soldiers who used to protect them from the dangerous traitors in their vicinity had been withdrawn the day before, rumour had it that to deal with terrible scenes of chaos in the road West, after an earthquake sent by the Baalim had destroyed Armenelos. Isildur immediately understood that those who had left their hapless colleagues behind were not likely to return: once they were in Sor, the slippery merchants would take ship for Umbar or Pelargir until things quietened down. The Governor, however, would be forced to remain in his post and try to do his duty until the end –unless he truly realized there was no hope for the King’s expedition.

Isildur’s first action was to dispatch men to the shipbuilders, and to the harbour itself. Then, he ordered a search for every hidden Faithful who could not bear arms and had therefore not participated in the action. While he waited for those dispositions to bear fruit, he gathered his family on the main hall. Slowly, one by one, they took seat on the carved wooden chairs left vacant by the magistrates. Anárion sat to his right with his wife Irimë, both their expressions brimming with a grim kind of determination. Elendur drew his chair as close as he could, shaking in barely repressed excitement, while Ilmarë and Irissë preferred to flank Eluzîni on the other side of the table. Of the three women, Isildur could not help but notice that Irissë was the only one whose emotions could be read easily upon her features.

Anárion’s elder children had come to join them too. Faniel was unusually quiet, leaning on Lindissë, whose arm was around her sister’s shoulders and who seemed quite distraught. Next to them, Findis’ gaze darted back and forth, her eternal curiosity unfazed by the circumstances. Lastly, Tal Elmar did not take a seat, but he stood by Isildur’s side, arms crossed and without budging an inch. Some looks rested briefly on him, but nobody challenged his presence.

“You all know, as well as I do, that the end of Númenor is near”, the son of Elendil spoke, refusing to waste his time on unnecessary preambles. “We only felt the earth shake under our feet, but, in the West, many accounts speak of death and devastation, and this is merely the beginning. Even the merchants who do not believe in prophecies were aware that they had to flee the Island, and so should we. Father was having ships built that could cross the Great Sea before they came for him: I am trying to ascertain how many can already sail, and also how many seaworthy vessels are there in the harbour of Rómenna at this time. The more ships we find, the more people we can save.”

“I will not leave.” Her voice was firm and clear, with none of the expected signs of sorrow or irrationality, and for a moment Isildur could not tell if this was better or worse. “Not until your father returns.”

He took a deep breath.

“Mother, I understand your grief. But Father was taken before the King in Armenelos, the same King who declared war on the Valar and whose mind lay under the sway of the Deceiver. Even if by some strange miracle he managed to survive their wrath, and he escaped the ruin of Armenelos, an army lies between him and us now.”

“Isildur is right”, Anárion came to his aid. “Father is beyond our reach. We do not know if he is dead or alive, and even if we knew, we would not be able to rescue him or wait for his return, without his doom being visited upon us all.”

“I have been having a dream. Every single night, for the last three days”, Eluzîni continued, unfazed by their arguments. “In it, your father tells me that he fulfilled his promise to stay alive, and that now I have to fulfil mine and wait for him. None of you should risk your lives for my choice, but I will stay in Rómenna until he comes.”

“And so will I.” The voice, unexpectedly raised in the shocked gathering, belonged to Ilmarë. “I have the same dream, too.”

Her eyes fixed Isildur with a defiant glance, which he found himself unable to withstand as he began to realize the true import behind it. After waiting in vain for him to speak, Anárion decided to do it in his stead.

“Father did not have dreams. His feet were always firmly planted on the earth, and if he was here now, he would not let a vision which could be a figment of his imagination, or even just wishful thinking, interfere with his duty. He…” His voice betrayed the tiniest flicker of emotion, and Irimë hurried to lay a steadying hand on his shoulder. “He would have led our people to safety, and only after his task was done, he would allow himself to grieve.”

Just then, there was a knock by the door, and Isildur was almost glad to be forced to interrupt the argument. The men he had sent had returned, bearing mixed tidings. Only two of the ships they had commissioned could possibly sail by this point; as for the harbour, men bearing the Governor’s arms had just arrived from Sor, and been posted on the entrance with strict orders to keep watch over the ships. Isildur wondered belatedly what must be crossing the Governor’s mind to decide that ships were more important than holding a city and protecting its inhabitants.

While the messengers were there, Isildur’s family remained largely quiet, some paying attention, some unable to keep their attention focused on what they were saying. Now and then, his own gaze met that of his sister, who made no effort whatsoever to flee it. The more he looked at her, the more his innards turned into lead, and the less inclined he was to speak. At some point, he realized it was Anárion who had taken the initiative, questioning his interlocutors methodically until he was certain of every small detail.

Once they were finished, and Anárion was silent, every eye fell on Isildur. It was then that he knew that he could delay his decision no longer – and that it had already been made for him.

“Anárion, you will fill those ships with people unable to bear arms until there is no room left for more. You will also take the Tree and the heirlooms of our house there, and sail to the mainland straight away”, he ordered. “I will stay with those who can fight, take the harbour, and wait for Father there.”

Anárion stared at him as if he had gone insane. Isildur ignored him.

“All of you who are in this room will be going with him. Mother, Ilmarë, I hope you understand that there is no reason to risk your lives in addition to mine. You have my oath that I will not leave these shores until the lord of Andúnië returns; that should be enough for you.” He barely had the time to acknowledge his sister’s haughty nod, or her grim satisfaction for having entrapped him. While he was still talking, Tal Elmar stepped forwards, his eyes shining with a wild glint.

“I will stay with you.” Isildur opened his mouth, then closed it, and repressed a sigh. Another entrapment.

“Certainly.”

“And I will stay with you too, Father!” Elendur cried, his voice full of an almost painful enthusiasm. Isildur was going to refuse this request when, all of a sudden, he grew aware of the futility of his denial. Elendur was old enough, man enough to fight, as his son had been endeavouring to prove for some time now, but he was far from ready to rule anyone. If Isildur should die, Anárion had to be in charge – and now, his brother even had his own son to succeed him. Perhaps he had always been meant to be in this position, to come not just before Elendur but also before Isildur, the man whose feet had never been firmly planted on the earth, and whose hands were tied even now by the weight of his past mistakes, the cruel thought mocked him.

“Your skill in a fight will be welcome among us, Elendur”, he nodded, trying not to look in Irissë’s direction, and feeling as if he was lowering his body into the black gulf of his greatest fears. “You can stay.”

In the ruckus that ensued, however, it was not the outraged mother, but Anárion, who rose from his seat and covered the distance that separated them with a look of grim purpose in his eyes. As soon as he was within his reach, he asked Isildur for a private word, and proceeded to walk him to the neighbouring antechamber, where the sound of the arguing men and women was slightly dulled by the distance.

“You cannot stay here on this suicide mission, Isildur” he said, as soon as he had shut the door behind his back. His face was pale, and he seemed to have been suddenly possessed by a manic energy. “Mother and Ilmarë have clearly lost their minds due to grief, but there is no reason why you should follow their lead, or doom others with you. I will not –I cannot let you do this.”

Isildur sat down by the window, and shrugged.

“As I see it, there are two possibilities right now. If Father is alive, then he is the rightful lord of Andúnië, and we cannot abandon him. If he is dead, then I am the rightful lord of Andúnië, and you cannot oppose my decisions.” He leaned closer to his brother to lower his voice, feeling his pretence of flippancy desert him. “But if we both should die, then you will be able to make your own decisions. And if I am to be honest, I do not think that is the worst tragedy which could befall the house of Andúnië.”

Anárion’s antagonism was abruptly quenched by these words, like a burning log thrown into the waters of the Sea. He stared at Isildur for a while, in silence, as if he was at a loss as to what to make of him. Then, he shook his head.

“I do not want to make my own decisions. Not at this price”, he declared. Even though his brother’s emotions had always been understated, the truthfulness of this one impacted Isildur. A knot gathered in his throat. “Please, come with me, and abandon this madness.”

He is right. For the first time since he had seen him reflected in Ilmarë’s eyes, Isildur could see the ghost of Malik, towering above both of them. You should abandon me. I died long ago, Isildur, and my barbarian bones were fed to the flames. Neither I nor my humble bloodline should have a claim to the great lord of Andúnië’s loyalty.

“No, Anárion.” He swallowed deeply. “Even if you were right, and this was nothing but the madness of two women, the fact remains that there is no room in two ships for everyone. We should fight for the chance to save more people, and for that, those who would get in the way the most need to leave. This is simple battle strategy”, he explained. “And I am staying because I am the strongest commander.”

“In that case, you should leave without looking back, as soon as you laid hands on the first ship. You should not waste a single instant waiting for anyone, no matter who it is”, Anárion argued. “Father would never, ever agree to that.”

Isildur shook his head again.

“Father knew that dreams were real, even if he did not have them.” he retorted. “And if these ones are, he will have to find it in himself to be grateful to me for saving his life.” His brother opened his mouth, unconvinced, but Isildur anticipated the move and reacted fast. “Go. I have an army to prepare, and you have refugees to herd into the ships. There is no time left for arguments.” He stood up and rushed towards the doorstep, effectively declaring their conversation finished. As he crossed the threshold, however, he found himself stopping in his tracks for one last time. “Good luck, Anárion.”

His brother did not reply.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Once they were gathered in the council hall, the refugees were efficiently sorted out by Irimë, who picked the women, the children, and the old and infirm. She and her daughters proceeded to take them to the ships next, escorted by some of the armed men. As he watched their departure, Isildur saw that the sky had turned blood red, despite the fact that it should already be close to noon.

“Isildur”, a voice spoke behind him. Surprised, as he had been expecting Ilmarë, he found himself face to face with his mother. Despite the great commotion unfolding around them, and the danger they were in, she still looked as serene as she had during the previous reunion.

“Mother”, he greeted her. “You… should have left already.” He wondered if she was going to refuse after all –and, more to the point, what could he do about it if she did. But she did not look confrontational, either, and when her lips curved into a smile, he felt briefly transported to an almost forgotten childhood; a time when seeing this smile would ease all his nightmares and make him feel safe.

“Thank you, Isildur”, she said. “Anárion will never understand. He thinks I am a terrible mother, and that you will die for my delusions.” A small frown appeared on her forehead. “But they are not delusions. I know, as well as I know that you are standing before me now. I have never been so certain of anything in my life! He is alive, and he will be back.”

And she will be with him, Isildur thought, wishing he could share this blind trust that his dreams would never betray him.

“Anárion should know better than to blame you. I am the one who made the choice to remain here, and I made it for more than one reason.”

“And now, in exchange, we have to leave before we turn into a liability and a hindrance to him and his men. It is a fair deal, Mother, and we must respect it.” Ilmarë had crept in unnoticed, and her hand rested upon Eluzîni’s shoulder. She, too, seemed quite calm, though Isildur did not know what could give her the idea that her stubborn daughter would ever leave her abomination behind. “Go with Irissë and Anárion. I will join you in a moment.”

Eluzîni embraced Isildur, whispering in his ear that they would see each other soon, and departed. As they watched her receding form, Isildur believed Ilmarë to be waiting for her to walk out of earshot so she could speak freely to him, so he was surprised when she did not utter a word.

“Why did you stay, then?” he finally asked. His voice came out more brusquely than he had intended, but she did not flinch.

“Mother is very sure that this will turn out well”, she said at last. “It is the first time she has a prophetic dream, and she thinks the powers who send them are good and true. But I have to confess I am not so certain, and that I wear this mask solely for her benefit. Like you, I have cause to fear my dreams as much as I have cause to lay my hopes on them.”

“And yet you would sacrifice anything for the chance to save her. You would sacrifice yourself, and you would also sacrifice me”, Isildur concluded. She opened her mouth, but he did not let her talk. “I do not mind. For all these years, I have had a very heavy debt to pay, and its weight lies on me even now.”

At this, to his great shock, Ilmarë’s eyes were glazed with tears.

“If… if you bring her to me alive, Isildur, I will be the one in debt with you. Forever. A-and there will n-no longer be any ghosts between us, f-for as long as I live”, she sobbed. Not knowing very well what to do, how to respond to this, he nodded.

“Go with them”, he said, after she had calmed down. “And try to convince Irissë that I am sorry.” She had been acting quite clingy and weepy, trying to get Isildur and Elendur to change their minds, until Isildur had to claim he was needed in the armoury to get rid of her. He did not delude himself into believing that her tears were for him: they were for her son, and for her chances to bear another. Still, the fact that he had allowed Elendur to put himself in peril against her wishes gave him a sense of guilt that could not help but override his annoyance. After thinking long and hard about the situation, he had repented of involving his son in his earlier, self-destructive impulses, and sought for a compromise solution. This involved leaving Elendur in charge of the defence of the building instead of taking him on the assault to the harbour, and also getting him into the first ship they could dispatch to the mainland.

The afternoon went by between preparations, weapon distribution, training, and explorers being sent to check the enemy positions and the possibility of reinforcements coming through the road to Sor. Elendur did not want to stay behind, and the knowledge that Isildur could no longer send him with Anárion and the women made him bold and quite persistent in his complaints. In the end, it was Tal Elmar who dragged him away to talk to him; after that, he became more subdued and spoke little, though there was still a scowl upon his forehead.

As the hours went by, there were no more soldiers coming from Sor. Isildur had heard that the King had taken most men of arms with him on his expedition, leaving little for the Governor to work with, so perhaps it should not be surprising that, despite his notorious enmity towards the Faithful, the wretched man had been forced to send them to other places where they were needed more desperately. He wondered how would the rest of the Island look now: if the proudest and most powerful civilization in the world could truly have descended into chaos and disorder as easily as this. When thinking of the word ‘civilization’, what came to one’s mind was sculpture, painting, architecture, poetry or music. It was never armed men, and yet, ironically, it was the absence of the latter what was causing Númenor to spiral out of control.

In Rómenna, the remaining townspeople had been too scared at first to oppose the Faithful who took over their council. They had not emerged when Isildur captured their representatives, or when he set men on the road leading into the city. As the hours went by, however, and it started dawning in their minds that the Governor was not coming to their rescue, and that his men did not move from the gates of the harbour and remained deaf to their requests, they started growing restless, and it did not take long for the first riot to erupt. Isildur realized that, unless they launched their attack now, the opposition would only grow stronger and stronger. He dispatched several emissaries to the soldiers in the harbour, offering them to negotiate a surrender, but no reply was sent.

“We should not be wasting our time with words. The best we can do now is to strike hard and fast”, Tal Elmar argued. Some of the men loyal to the house of Andúnië were starting to look askance at this barbarian who raised his voice in their councils, despite the fact that he had been the only one brave enough to organize the rescue party when most were too paralyzed to act. But Tal Elmar’s gaze was fiery, and he did not even appear to notice the hostility.

“They are better armed than we are, and have more combat experience than most of us. The result of that strike would be uncertain, and if we fail, we will not be able to hold Rómenna for long”, one of those men spoke up now. “Perhaps we should be bargaining with what remains of the town council, who lie in our power as we speak. Some of them used to be sympathetic to our cause, though they were too cowardly to oppose their more powerful colleagues.”

“We have no time for that”, Tal Elmar said with a frown. The man stood up, incensed.

“Of course. What would a wild barbarian know about bargaining?”

“Perhaps I should have bargained with the Governor for the release of your lords”, Isildur’s lover replied, without skipping a beat. “As I suppose you were doing while I rescued them.”

“How dare you…!”

“Easy, now”, Isildur interrupted the argument before it could grow uglier. “You have all made fine points, but I think Tal Elmar is right in this. We cannot hold our position for long, and we need to strike fast.”

Nobody dared question his judgement, though he could see that some feathers were still ruffled, and he mentally added the growing restlessness of those around him to the reasons why his decision was the only right one.

“Any word on the lord of Andúnië?” he asked, as he stood up at the end of the meeting. The answer, just like all the previous times he had ventured the same question, was negative. Perhaps the women had been delusional, after all.

After the orders had been given, he retreated to prepare himself for the battle. When he entered the rooms he had claimed as his own, Tal Elmar was already there, awaiting his arrival.

“We will win” he said. Isildur snorted.

“Are you a seer, too? I thought that those in my family were already enough to get me killed.”

“If your gods are powerful enough to make the earth tremble and the sky burn, they can also give you victory” Tal Elmar replied, advancing towards him with Narsil in his hands. Isildur had forgotten it was there; for some reason, he had assumed that Anárion had taken it with the rest of the heirlooms. His breath caught on his throat when he realized he would be expected to fight with it.

“It would not be the first time I lead my men into disaster” he admitted, laying hands on the sword. But Tal Elmar did not let go; instead, he held on to it and levelled Isildur with a hard look.

“And yet you have no choice. Let me tell you something, Isildur. You and your people cannot bear the idea of defeat, but I know everything about it. My father’s people had to live with it every day. That is why they learned long ago not to see it in terms of guilt, or bravery, or good or bad judgement. Instead, they spoke of bad luck. If your luck was bad, you were doomed, and there was nothing you could do about it, no matter how brave or mighty or clever you were, because the gods were against you.” Suddenly, his lips curved into a smile. “But your luck is good. In the mainland, when you were about to suffer defeat, you were saved. When you were captured by the Governor’s men, I made a plan to rescue you, and it worked. The Guards in the porch believed in your bluff, though they could have called you on it. Now, you would never have taken Rómenna if all those soldiers had not been deployed, or the Council had not fled. There was never a warrior of Agar whose luck was so bountiful, and that is why I know that we will win.”

Unable to care that anyone could burst in without knocking, Isildur covered the distance that separated him from Tal Elmar, and claimed his mouth in a rough kiss. As he retreated from him, gasping for breath, he could feel a welcome fire burning in his innards at last.

“To battle, then”, he said, grabbing the sword with a much firmer grip.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

Nobody tried to stop them, or oppose their advance as their column progressed through the streets towards the harbour. Still, there were many faces gazing down from the windows, half-hidden behind lattices and curtains, spying upon their progress. Isildur refused to think of what might happen to Elendur, barricaded in the building of the town council with only a handful of men, if they should fail to return. Tal Elmar had said that he was a lucky man, and he would have to trust in the barbarian’s comfort.

While he was still at their base, Isildur had studied the harbour plan very carefully, and came up with a plan of sorts. Their main force would launch a frontal attack on the enemy, while a minor force composed of fishermen who could swim would get into the water and head straight for the ships. This manoeuvre would hopefully draw enough soldiers away as to increase their chances.

Those soldiers, however, were some of the most disciplined and skilled that remained on the Island, and it was evident that, like Isildur, many of them had fought beyond the Sea. They defended their position fiercely, did not leave any openings, and when they grew aware of the second force, they did not send any of their men after them, correctly assessing their level of threat. Isildur saw some of his best men fall around him, and barely avoided a strike to his arm and another to his face. Near him, as he had made a point of honour not to lose sight of him, Tal Elmar was also at difficulty. Behind the blur that covered his eyes, Isildur saw him on his fours in the ground, crawling with surprising agility in an attempt to retrieve his lost sword, and dodging one enemy after another.

Suddenly, just when he was beginning to think that their deaths could be at hand, the sound of galloping hooves reached Isildur’s ears. Wondering if he was going mad, he froze. Before him, his opponent froze as well, a split second before he was speared by a mounted man. All around him, Isildur saw more horses joining the fray, and pursuing his retreating enemies. Shaking his shock and confusion away, he shouted at his men to regroup and fight, until his voice died at the sight that offered itself to his eyes.

It was Elendil. His father, taller than ever on his horse, giving orders not to pursue those who fled, and instructing some of the men to take care of the wounded while others moved on to seize the ships. Soon, his eyes fell on his elder son’s dumbfounded expression.

“Mother was right. You were alive”, was the only thing that occurred to Isildur at that moment. Elendil nodded matter-of-factly, as if escaping the clutches of Sauron and the destruction of a city was something he did every day.

“And if I had arrived later, you might not be” he said. Isildur wanted to argue, to tell him that they had to act fast, that they had no way of knowing that any reinforcements would arrive –that he would arrive. But the words did not come, and it was Elendil who broke the silence again. “Elendur told me everything. He is coming this way now, with what remains of the city council, the citizens of Rómenna, and everybody else who wants to take ship with us. Fíriel is there, too.” Isildur’s heart stilled, and somewhere beyond the haze of his mind, he could see Malik’s smile dissolve into the evening mist. “The Governor has fled the Island, so we should not expect any more trouble from Sor. And yet, the danger we are in is more pressing than ever, so we must hurry.”

“Yes, Father”, Isildur nodded. Belatedly, he grew aware of what he was holding, and tried frantically to wipe the blood away from the blade before he handed it to Elendil. “This… this is your sword.”

“Thank you, Isildur”, the lord of Andúnië replied, holding it by the hilt and giving him a long, grave nod before he rode away. Still unable to react properly, Isildur just watched him depart.

“I told you.” Tal Elmar struggled back to his feet, and Isildur realized that there was blood on the barbarian’s mouth. Instinctively, he raised his hand to wipe it. Had he bitten an enemy? “Your good luck is strong.”

Isildur sighed.

“Or my father’s good luck is strong, and my survival is but a part of it”, he corrected with a frown. Some of the soldiers who had ridden into battle with Elendil did not come from Sor, but from Armenelos; somehow, they had left their appointed posts there to follow a prisoner across the Island and fight under his orders. What on Earth had happened in the West? “Let us go.”

Tal Elmar shrugged, as if the point was irrelevant to him, and followed him in silence.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The Council room was still empty when she entered it. Ivory chairs lay across the floor in pieces, and the painted ceiling had caved in on the left side, scattering its debris everywhere. Ar Zimraphel had to wade through all those obstacles to reach the throne, the only seat left standing in this place, and sit on it. While she waited, she grasped the armrests with both hands, and closed her eyes to watch the evolution of the multi-coloured fish, staring in gaping indifference at the splendour of a dead civilization whose intricacies and follies they were not equipped to understand. The more she gazed into their vitreous, opaque eyes, the more the air seemed to trickle out of her lungs, until she found herself gasping for it.

It will not be long now, sister, the black-haired child said, laying a comforting hand on hers. Soon, we will be reunited at last.

Finally, the gates flew open with a loud bang, and they began filing in, one after another. There was a couple of opportunistic courtiers, too cowardly to oppose him and too foolish to flee; high commanders of the Palace Guard, looking strong and grim; priests from the New Temple and, of course, the finest of the house of Orrostar flanking the Princess, whose swollen belly had turned into the miraculous vessel for the future King. At their head, he stood taller than he had ever wished to appear before Pharazôn while he was trying to convince the unfortunate King of his weakness – and yet, in the middle of his triumph, she knew him to be weaker than ever.

“We have come to relieve you of the Sceptre, my Queen”, he spoke, managing to sound both stern and regretful. “Your husband, the King, has brought great ruin upon Númenor with his foolish enterprise, and the fate of the Island now stands upon the brink.”

“It does”, Ar Zimraphel nodded, with an eerie calm. “Can you save it, Lord Zigûr?”

“I believe I can, but it will not be easy”, he replied, blind, blind, blind, her brother laughed in her ear with boyish mirth.

“Then by all means, save it. I will not stand in your way, or hinder you in your noble endeavours.”

“Truly? That is a remarkable disposition, my lady, but perhaps you should give us some solid proof of it. We have been trying to locate the Prince of the West, but he is nowhere to be found” the lord of Orrostar intervened, quickly losing his remaining compunctions at the sight of her helplessness, and her meek acceptance of their treason. “We need you to tell us where he is, so we can ensure his safety in the turmoils to come.”

“Out of your reach”, she replied, still in the same tone. Zigûr set his eye on her, and for a moment she could feel it burn her mind to the core, but she did not flinch. “I sent him to the mainland with Lord Elendil.”

For the first time, the Princess of the West emerged from her self-satisfied daydream to look agitated at this information.

“You know, as well as I do, that your son cannot survive in the mainland, my Queen. He needs the protection of the Great Deliverer”, Zigûr said, his eye scrutinizing her again in search of one of the many pieces which had always escaped him. “Unstable as you are, you would never have sent your own child to his death.”

Ar Zimraphel shrugged. So he had been using the old rumours about the daughter of Tar Palantir being a madwoman, hadn’t he?

“He has always been dead, Zigûr. Any mother would prefer her son to breathe his last as a free man, rather than to face the fate that awaited him in your clutches.” His eyes widened, and she realized he had come upon something unexpected.

“You are lying.” You know something, his voice ran through her mind, like a snake crawling inside her skin. Tell me, or you will die in terrible pain.

Ar Zimraphel chuckled, knowing that this would only enrage him further.

“And how come I can lie to an all-powerful creature, great in wisdom, and older than the foundations of the earth? Perhaps I am not the only one who is lying here.”

This time, his grasp on her thoughts was so virulent that she would have fallen, if she had not been holding to her chair.

You were never a match for me, you deluded mortal. Like with the King, I merely let you believe that you were. Now, tell me what you have seen or your fate will be much worse than his.

But Zimraphel no longer remembered what it was to feel fear, or even uncertainty. The day she had realized that she could control the horrors creeping in the darkness around her, that she could face her destiny, learn to embrace it, and deal with it in her own terms, she had become a new brand of monster, less evident but more formidable than the mad girl who hid in the shadows. That monster had learned to stand on the peak of the Meneltarma and see the world and its people like a swarm of ants crawling under her feet, and yet she had never been allowed to forget the roaring waters that rose to take her in the end. She had died that death every single day, every single night; a goddess painfully sculpted by the chisel of her own mortality.

And he was the opposite of her, she realized. He, an immortal whose mind was once able to penetrate the greatest mysteries of Creation even as it unfolded, had been persuaded that he could use his power to change the world at will and carve himself a fate of his choice. This had made him blind to the truths he could not accept, to the developments he believed, in his heart of hearts, that he could avoid, or reshape at will. To the laws he considered himself no longer subject to.

This contradiction between immense power and infinite contemptibleness made her feel sorry for him. Detecting this pity, he retreated at once, fury battling with the first stirrings of an impossible fear.

“You are mad. You were always mad, and you would have been locked away in Alissha’s tower if not for your husband’s protection.” It was the voice of the Princess Ûriphel, almost incongruously out of place in the middle of this silent battle. “The Former King tried to do it, but you killed him first. Everybody knows it, but they were too afraid to speak the truth aloud until now.”

Ar Zimraphel did not have much time to waste on this sad girl, yet another soul twisted by the demon into a mockery of his own image.

“Ah, Ûriphel. If only you had revealed your pregnancy sooner and gone to him for help, you silly child! My foolish son would have insisted in taking you to the mainland with him, and you would have lived, as little as you deserved it. But you will die now, and your abomination with you”, she said, watching in satisfaction how the Princess flinched in sudden terror and sought for Zigûr’s eyes in vain. “Zigûr, you deceived my husband into believing your lies. By telling him that he could master his own fate, you succeeded in blinding him to the fate that truly awaited him. But the greatest irony is that he who taught this to you did it to you first, and he made you as blind as Ar Pharazôn the Golden ever was.”

The world exploded in a thousand shards of pain, and Ar Zimraphel fell, crushed against the armrest she had been holding to. Zigûr advanced a step in her direction, his fiery eye gleaming with the promise of death.

“Arrest her”, he ordered the Guards. At that precise moment, a deep rumble reached their ears, and the ground started shaking again. Suddenly, a crack was formed below the stairs, and the floor burst open, creating a widening chasm between her and the others. One of the guards who was advancing towards her fell backwards; the other was precipitated down the abyss with a scream of terror. The courtiers, nobles and priests stared at their surroundings, paralyzed, while the Princess shrieked, and Zigûr was forced to let go of his hold on the Queen’s mind.

Ar Zimraphel stood up laughing, and hurried across the King’s entrance a second before the ceiling collapsed on them.

 

The Land of the Undying

The story is almost over now. This means, there are very few chances left of letting me know if you liked it!

Read The Land of the Undying

 

The waters of the Great Sea stood still. There were no currents, no hint of a breeze in the air, as if the world had ground to a halt as they approached its last edge. On the morning of their departure, after both the Western and Northern shipyards had finished vomiting ships, the fleet had spread across the available space in a military formation made of rows of closed lines, like an enormous net cast to catch some legendary sea monster. Then, however, its advance had begun slowing down, almost maddeningly so, for rowing was the only way to penetrate this thick calm, and even though the galley slaves were driven hard, sometimes they had the unnerving feeling that they were not moving at all. This infuriated the captain of Ar Pharazôn’s ship, who unleashed his wrath upon the backs of the hapless rowers, blaming their laziness for their plight. Deep inside, however, the King could perceive that this was nothing but an outlet for the growing unease which was taking hold of him and the other members of the war council as the day progressed.

“If calm is the only defence the Baalim can muster against us, then they are even more unworthy of godhood than I believed”, the former Golden General snorted, with a tone of bravado he had mastered in his youth in the mainland. Just like back then, his words gave heart to others, though his own remained unresponsive. As he laid down in his bed that night and tried to catch some sleep, his skin covered in a thick layer of perspiration from the heat, he found himself wishing he was facing real monsters, or even a raging gale with thunder and deadly whirlwinds. For this would at least have engaged his warrior pride, and the struggle for survival and mastery might have brought back the best of that young general who never surrendered and managed to prevail despite all odds, beloved by his men and admired by his enemies. He would feel alive, truly alive as he had not been in years - and for that feeling, he thought in a moment of mad frustration, it might even be worth it to pile immortality together with his Island and his empire and raise the stakes of his gamble.

Instead of that, the heavy calm persisted, and the silence, broken only by the regular splash of the oars, the crack of the whip, and the odd shout or cry that followed, grew more and more unbearable in time. Ar Pharazôn cursed the Baalim a hundred times for this. Through their twisted manoeuvres, they wanted to make him feel as if he was trying in vain to force and bend the immutable rules of the world, like a fish who belonged in the Sea and yet tried to swim upriver, only to get nowhere. You are not a hero or a great conqueror, but a fool, the suffocating air seemed to be whispering in his ear. And it will not be long until your men see you for what you are.

Early on the next morning, the captain informed him that they had not managed to cover much distance during the night, and that the slaves were exhausted. Soon afterwards, one of the admirals came to report that most of the ships were having similar issues. Before an increasingly uncomfortable audience, who suddenly seemed to find everything more interesting than their colleague’s speech, he suggested turning back, regrouping in the Bay, and waiting for the wind to change.

“Very well.” The King’s voice was a deadly hiss as he fixed them both with his glance. “If you think that we cannot reach the shores of the Blessed Realm with the rowing manpower that we possess, perhaps you will welcome the chance of adding your strength to theirs.” As they were dragged away, he turned towards the rest of his council, who were still busy fleeing his gaze. “Are there any more objections to our present course of action?”

The silence was so absolute, that the pleading and protestations of loyalty of the two men could still be heard in the distance long after they had disappeared from sight.

“The wind will not change. The Baalim control it”, he explained to the others. “We are facing a powerful foe who controls wind, water and rain, so those are hurdles we will have to overcome in our way to attain our goal. But no matter how long it takes for us to arrive, we will. Do you see their White Mountain, gleaming in the horizon? We will reach it, and once we do, we will conquer it with the help of the Great Deliverer. And then we will control the wind, the water and the rain ourselves, and Númenor will reign supreme under the sky!”

There was a burst of renewed enthusiasm after this, which might not have been entirely feigned. Perhaps because of it, that afternoon the mountain loomed larger, and the following morning Ar Pharazôn promised an extravagant reward to the first man who saw land and reported it. By now, the fleet was leaving a deadly trail in their wake: the bodies, thrown overboard, of all the men who collapsed from exhaustion, whose numbers increased even as they moved closer to their destiny. Zigûr had spoken true when he had revealed the power of sacrifice to him.

On the afternoon of the third day, two ships reported having seen land at the same time. Ar Pharazôn solved the dispute by rewarding both equally, glad in his heart that his prize was closer to his grasp. That night, however, as he tossed and turned in his bed, his good mood was gradually eroded, and, once again, the old uncertainties started gathering over his mind like clouds.

Please, stay here, Father, Gimilzagar had begged, a sincere emotion veiling his eyes as he set them on his. Your fleet sinks, and your expedition ends in failure and disaster, Zimraphel spat, her voice brimming with vindictive anger after he hurt her in that balcony. If you doubt the wisdom of your enterprise, my lord King, perhaps you should not blame me, but the one who suggested it to you, Elendil’s grave advice, too, reverberated in his ears in the stillness of the night. Perhaps you should arrest him, see through his pretence of meekness and loyalty, and return to the path of true wisdom before it is too late. They were all inside his mind now, the voices he had laughed off, ignored, silenced because he could not face what they were saying. Because he could no longer afford the luxury of stopping in his tracks, and renouncing the enterprise which had become the ultimate objective of his life, the crowning achievement that would compensate for everything he had lost.

And he had lost so much, an insidious voice reminded him. Zimraphel’s love, Amandil and Elendil’s friendship, his conquests, the will to become the greatest king of Númenor and a hero for its people. In a way, he had even lost his life, which had trickled through his fingers while he prepared for immortality, and grew afraid of anything that could pose a threat to it. Now, he saw in a brief instant of clarity, his desire had turned into a chain, whose crushing weight he could not escape. In one of his lapses into a troubled slumber, he dreamed of Númenor sinking underneath the waves after he sailed away from it, just like in Amandil’s visions when they were younger. Pharazôn was no prophet, but even he could find a deep truth in this dream: he had to keep going forwards, because he had burned all the bridges to the world he left behind.

Turning back is always an option, Pharazôn. The old Amandil who haunted his nights ever since the lord of Andúnië had disappeared from the Island loomed over him, his gaze narrowed in contempt. Except for monsters who choose to doom their people and all their loved ones rather than admit failure. Oh, but I forget - you no longer have loved ones, or a people, do you? You turned your back on your wife, your son, and all the Númenóreans in the Island, as if their fate meant nothing to you. I do not know what is the most pathetic of all, that you believe you can win, or that you think they will forgive you if only you die heroically enough.

“Silence!”, he hissed. In his turmoil, he spoke aloud, and his voice reverberated in the emptiness of his cabin, causing the man who slept by the door to stir. “You are nothing. No one. You are dead, and you can no longer give me lessons. Go back to the darkness where you dwell, and where your precious Baalim might soon join you.”

Still trembling in rage, he stood up from his bed, and ordered his aides to dress and arm him. Once he was ready, he climbed the stairs until he reached the highest vantage point on deck, where he leaned on the railing, his eyes fixed on the lines of the coast of the Blessed Realm. They were now much closer to their destination, and as he scrutinized the land in search of signs of the enemy, his gaze suddenly fell upon a lonely dot.

“Is that… a man?” he asked his aides, pointing in that direction. Long ago, Ar Pharazôn had realized that Zigûr’s youth enchantments were no longer able to preserve the eyesight that he used to have, so it did not surprise him when all three men nodded almost instantly.

“Yes, my lord King, I do think so!” one of them replied. “He is standing on the beach, alone, as if he was expecting us. Perhaps he could be an envoy of the Baalim.” His forehead curved into a frown. “This is their land, though. Why would they send us a lone envoy instead of fortifying the coasts with their fleets and armies? It makes no sense.”

Ar Pharazôn’s lips curved into a smile, the easiest cover for all his misgivings.

“Well, they have never been invaded before. Until now, they probably did not believe that such a thing was possible, that those naked savages they abandoned to their fate would grow powerful enough to take a fleet here and demand their due. After today, they will know better.”

As he spoke, the admiral who had been promoted after his colleague’s disgrace stopped in his tracks, waiting for the King to acknowledge his presence. When Pharazôn beckoned to him, he bowed low.

“All the admirals, captains, and crews await your orders, my lord King.”

“I will be landing in that beach.” Ar Pharazôn declared. “Your squadron will land with me, but the rest of the fleet will blockade the coast and wait.”

The man bowed again, so fast that it was obvious he was afraid of any sign of hesitation being mistaken for disagreement.  Belatedly, the King remembered the real trust, undimmed by fear, which shone in his men’s eyes back in the mainland, adding this to the list of losses he would take compensation for today.

“Go”, he dismissed him. “Bring me my sword”, he ordered next, as soon as the admiral was gone.

Only once that he was alone, Ar Pharazôn rested his weight on the railing, and allowed himself to let go of the deep breath he was holding.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The Undying Lands, true to their reputation, were fair to look upon. The beach where they landed was made of white, fine sand, and beyond it, there were rolling hills covered by green and abundant vegetation as far as their eyes could reach, only restrained in its exuberance by what looked like careful gardening and pruning. Ar Pharazôn’s men kept discovering trees and flowers no man had ever seen before, and discussing their findings in whispers, as if afraid of their own voices. Soon, explorers brought notice of a town nearby, set at the centre of a valley with no defences whatsoever. They had found no sign of its inhabitants, so they had approached it cautiously until they could check that it was empty. The evacuation had been recent, as evidenced by the sight of work hastily put away and left to lie where it fell, abandoned workshops, and even half-eaten food spread on the tables. Still, all subsequent exploration parties could not find traces of the evacuees anywhere, and after the last ones returned, Ar Pharazôn ordered his army to make camp in the abandoned settlement.

While they made themselves comfortable, organizing their duties, lying in soft beds of intricate workmanship and nibbling cautiously at the strange food until they were satisfied that it could be eaten –a young, loudmouth soldier was heard claiming it would make them immortal, though some of his older companions unpacked their biscuits and stubbornly refused to have anything to do with it-, the King sent messages back to the fleet with orders to send reinforcements, and to dispatch squadrons of ships to explore the coasts until they could have a more accurate lay of the land. He also sent new search parties, ostensibly to look for the elusive Elves and find out what lay beyond the hills, but in truth to deal with the enigma that bothered him the most: the man he and his aides had seen from the ship. Since they had set foot in this place, he seemed to have vanished without a trace. The squadron commanders had soon reached the conclusion that he had not been an emissary but a spy, who had now fled to give his masters news about the size of their force. Pharazôn acknowledged that this theory had the appearance of logic, but he was not sure that the kingdom of the Baalim was ruled by logic.

As it appeared, his men were even less sure of this than he was, for the longer they stayed in that place, the more superstitious tales began circulating among them, their details growing increasingly lurid after the first night. One of the workshops had been full of life-sized statues, sculpted and painted with extraordinary realism, and somehow the fright they had given the first soldiers who came upon them had resulted in accounts of those statues growing alive after sunset and prowling around the place, spying their movements and patiently waiting until one of them was alone or lowered his guard to drag him away into the shadows. A man was sick in the stomach, and his companions had been quick to attribute his illness to the food he had eaten. Soon, they were digging holes in the ground to rid themselves of the remainder of the leftover provisions, and more men began to feel unwell, convinced that an evil poison was eating at their innards. There was talk of ghosts appearing and disappearing at will, and of a silent army of immortals hiding behind the trees, only kept at bay by their sacred amulets and their loud prayers to the Great Deliverer.

All those morale problems presented Ar Pharazôn with an unexpected chance to step up into the role of leader. During the time they spent there, he made sure to eat Elven food in front of the soldiers, demolished one of the statues to prove it was made of perishable materials, walked alone through the empty streets, and even ventured into the woods with the patrols. This did little to dispel his own concerns, but it made him feel more alive than he had been in a very long time.

On the evening of the second day, as he was dining in a magnificent table he had found in the large house he had claimed as headquarters, a great commotion reached his ears. Immediately, his aides stood up to alert, and asked for permission to go outside and inquire about the cause of the ruckus, but Ar Pharazôn had already risen from his seat himself before they could finish talking.

When he appeared on the porch, he saw that many of the soldiers were congregated there. At their centre stood the leader of one of the last patrols he had sent, and behind him, two of his men held what at first sight appeared to be a woman. A second appraisal, however, was enough to check this impression: she was not a woman but an Elf, a she-Elf, or whatever the right term to designate a female of that race was. Her hair was dark, and braided in ornate patterns that reminded Pharazôn of the workmanship of the table where he had just eaten; her eyes, the exact same hue of grey as those of Tar Palantir and the lords of Andúnië. Her features were very harmonious and delicate, like the sculpture he had destroyed, but the rest of her body did not seem to fit them at all. She was dressed in what looked like men’s clothes, tightly wrapped against her limbs, which appeared strong and lithe like those of a warrior. Like Merimne with the face of a Court beauty, he found himself thinking, nonplussed.

The soldiers, of course, were even more unsettled by this than he was. To them, it was as if they had caught the visible, tangible embodiment of the ghosts and evil forces which had been frightening them for days. They held her with more force than necessary, jeered and dragged her in vindictive glee, and it was obvious that she had already been hit more than once.

“Who are you?” he asked. The she-Elf immediately turned towards the source of the voice, and her eyes widened when she saw him. Soon, she was spouting out a torrent of words that were completely unintelligible to his ears.

“Address the King of Númenor in proper Adûnaic, you spawn of evil!” one of the soldiers who held her shouted, striking her on the face. She raised it again at once, looking more bewildered than in pain.

The next words she spoke were also unintelligible, but Ar Pharazôn had been acquainted with the house of Andúnië long enough as to be aware that they were in a different language from the first. He held on to that knowledge, searching his mind for the implications.

“If you can speak the two Elven tongues, this means that you have sailed here from Middle-Earth. And if you have lived in Middle-Earth, you know about the tongue of the Men of the West” he deduced. “So, let us try again. Who are you?”

Instead of shifty, the she-Elf looked exasperated.

“I…. Elwen”, she declared. “You… speak… I… thought.”

The soldier who had struck her before looked very much like he would have wanted to do so again.

“Oh, I certainly speak” Ar Pharazôn snorted. “You, on the other hand, babble like a child, and yet it will have to be enough. I need intelligence, and you will give it to me, she-Elf, whether you want or not.”

“We should sacrifice her to the Great Deliverer, my lord King”, the leader of the patrol, who had stood beside him for all this time, suggested. All around them, there were fierce murmurations of agreement. Elwen’s eyes grew wide again: she looked appalled now. Pharazôn wondered how long it would take her to realize that she should be afraid.

Just as he was having that thought, she made a sudden move, exhibiting a speed and strength that her captors had obviously not been expecting. The moment she was free from their grasp, she turned on Pharazôn, and grabbed his shoulder with one hand, while

the other pulled at the silver chain in his neck. This revealed the precious stone engraved in his old good luck amulet, the one Zimraphel had gifted to him when they were both young lovers. It shone under the torchlight just for an instant before she was yanked back by her captors, and Ar Pharazôn’s aide pressed a naked blade against her throat.

The she-Elf, however, did not seem daunted by that either. It was as if the blade, the men who held her, the ruckus around her did not even exist in her world, only him. Her eyes had fixed themselves on his with a burning intensity, an urgency which could not help but give him pause.

“Inzilbêth”, she said. “Grandmother… Inzilbêth. Child of Men.”

His surprise gave way to shock, which he needed a moment to suppress.

“How do you know that?” he hissed. He did not enjoy being made to feel out of sorts, as if he was but one more of the superstitious soldiers in his army. “Tell me, or by the time I am done with you your soul will be so marred that your Baalim will not want to touch it with a ten-foot pole.” Finally, he saw a flicker of fear in her eyes, and this made him relieved enough to smile. “See? I know some things about your kindred, too.”

“Let her go. Please.”

It was a weak voice, broken and cavernous like that of a man who no longer had the strength left in his lungs left for more, and yet Pharazôn would have recognized its owner anywhere in the world. He froze, even as the men who were closer to him stood back, looking as if they had seen a ghost. And, for once, those superstitious fools were right, the realization hit him.

“I am here. I will tell you everything that you wish to know.” The old man was hobbling towards him, his body so bent with age that he looked like he might fall at any moment, but when he came to face Pharazôn, the King of Númenor realized that his eyes shone with the sheer willpower that kept him upright. His features were as wrinkled as they had been in the world of dreams, and an unkempt grey beard covered most of them. “I am the envoy of the Valar, not her. Her presence here is a mistake, and harming her will avail you nothing.”

It took Ar Pharazôn a while to regain his composure enough to speak again.

“Bring both of them inside. I will interrogate them straight away”, he ordered, turning his back on Amandil to retreat into the privacy of his quarters.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

As they were taken in, Amandil and the she-Elf were having an animated argument in their language, which did not even stop once they found themselves in his presence. Ar Pharazôn would have bristled at the insolence, if he had not been feeling so out of sorts.

“So”, he interrupted them, willing his voice to sound calm. “It seems you went running to your Baalim, after all. And they had a poor way of repaying you.”

Amandil hobbled towards a chair and sat on it without waiting for an invitation, as if he believed that the curse of old age which had fallen upon him had given him the right to be treated like some revered elder.

“The… the Valar did not do this to me. It was…” His voice dissolved in a fit of dry coughing, and the she-Elf hovered over him like a mother hen, though there was nothing she could do to alleviate his difficulty. After a while, the cough subsided on its own, and he wiped his eyes with a wrinkled hand. “It was the price I had to pay for being here, in the land of the immortals. Even in this distant place, so close to our own world, our life burns faster, and our vitality deserts us sooner.”

Pharazôn ignored this disturbing information, to focus on the more down-to-earth details.

“What do you mean, ‘in this distant place, so close to our own world’? Where are we, exactly?”

Amandil seemed to hesitate, then sighed.

“There is no point in keeping anything from you, when I am trying to convince you of my honesty. We are in an island, as your fleet will soon discover. The Valar do not dwell here, and neither do their mightiest servants, or the highest among the Eldar. This is the home of the Exiles, the people who once rebelled and left their homes to live in the world of mortals. Their houses, their art, their customs, are not so different from ours, for they have been touched by mortality. That is why they accepted me, and suffered to lay eyes upon what I have become.”

“How generous of them”, Pharazôn snorted, serving himself a large cup of wine, which had been mixed from a barrel of Elven-spirits his men had found in that house’s cellar. “So, where are the Baalim? Which is the most expedient route to reach them, and where are their armies waiting? How strong are their defences, and how many soldiers do they have at their disposition?”

This time, it was the she-Elf who began talking gibberish, but Amandil silenced her before Pharazôn could.

“Forgive my friend, my lord King. She…” He winced, as if suddenly in pain. “She was not supposed to be here. No immortal lives were supposed to be at risk.”

“If they truly are immortal, they cannot be at risk, can they?” Pharazôn arched an eyebrow. Amandil ignored the jibe.

“Once, she was shipwrecked close to our Island, and a young girl took care of her, hiding her until she was strong enough to leave. She developed a strong bond with this mortal, so strong that she gave her this.” For a moment, Pharazôn’s turmoil had been so great that he had even forgotten that Zimraphel’s amulet was still hanging, exposed, over his chest. In an instinctive move perfected through the years, he grabbed it, then realized the truth hidden in Amandil’s words and let it go as if it burned him. “The girl’s name was Inzilbêth.”

Inzilbêth. Grandmother, she had said. So the wretch knew who he was.

“Even across the Great Sea, she could feel her joys and her griefs, and wept when she died. The day she heard that the King of Men who wanted to invade the Blessed Realm and defy the Valar was her grandson, she could not believe it. She could not accept that someone as pure as that girl could have given birth to such evil. So, even though I and others warned her against it, she hid in the woods when her people left, determined to meet you.”

Pharazôn’s eyes widened. Immortal, and yet so foolish. Zigûr had been right about the Elves too, he thought.

“Tell her that the Princess Inzilbêth was a mere vessel for Ar Gimilzôr’s twisted seed”, he spat. “But do thank her on my behalf: her stone did save my life a few times, to her misfortune and that of her people.” She looked a little paler now, though Pharazôn could not be sure whether she had understood his words or not. “Now, back to the Baalim…”

“The Valar are in Valinor, an hour’s sailing away from this island. All those who have been evacuated are there, too, and you will never lay hands on any of them unless you storm Taniquetil itself, but you would not be able to do that with a million ships full of soldiers.”

“Sooner or later, they will have to come down. Your Baalim may not need to eat, but apparently the Elves do, and this comes from regular crops, no matter how blessed and bountiful”, Pharazôn pointed out, gesturing at the half-eaten plate of food. “I will destroy their cities and lay their countryside to waste, while I arrange to receive my supplies by the sea-route.”

This time, Amandil looked clearly in pain.

“Pharazôn, why won’t you understand that you made a mistake by coming here?” He pointed at himself. “Look at this! Look at me! You will not even last your own siege, and neither will your men. Sauron the Deceiver fooled you: the secret of immortality lies not in this land or in the power of the Valar, who are creatures of his same order, but mightier. It lies in Eru Himself, who cannot be reached by any of us. This was merely a refuge the Valar built for the immortals to live in peace, without mingling with mortals and becoming subject to either the grief of loss, or the envy and hostility of powerful tyrants like you.”

If any of his men had been present, Pharazôn would have struck Amandil for daring to address him in this strain, even though his body looked as if it would break in a million pieces at the first taste of violence. As they were alone, however, except for the she-Elf who stared at him with soulful eyes, he just pretended to laugh.

“And why would that be any less of a lie? Why shouldn’t I believe that the Baalim laid this curse upon you to frighten me and make me despair when I saw you? Who decided to send you here, anyway?”

I decided to stay here. I let them know I would gladly give away what little remained of my life to convince you… and to save Númenor from the disaster that awaits it if you persist in your path.”

“Lies!” Pharazôn hissed. His fist struck the table, and the delicate glass of the cup was shattered in many jagged shards, to the shock of the she-Elf who watched. “I do not trust a single word coming from my enemies, and least of all from you, a man whose loyalty for others could cancel his loyalty to the Sceptre he swore to serve!”

Amandil, too, was growing angrier and angrier.

“I am not your enemy, Pharazôn! And if I was the traitor you think I am, I would not be here now. I would not have walked freely to your doorstep only so you could know the truth and save yourself!”

Pharazôn shook his head.

“I am sorry, Amandil, but the truth is something that should never be accepted when it comes under the guise of a gift. It must be forced out of others, for only extreme need can test the substance behind both their promises and their threats” he said, standing on his feet. “Now, I will test the power of the Baalim, and learn for myself what it is good for –and where it falls short. You will watch, and be witness of my glory or my fall.”

Amandil did not answer to these words. Instead, Pharazôn could see the light in his grey eyes dimming as he listened, and his body crumpling on its seat in a way that, for a moment, even made him afraid that the former lord of Andúnië’s spirit could be departing it. But it was merely an expression of despair, a deep-seated realization that he could not succeed in his task – that what he believed to be his last chance at redemption was slipping away from his fingers as they spoke. Pharazôn wondered if he would kill him if he had the opportunity, like the Faithful assassin in the temple of Armenelos, and end his King’s life for the sake of his twisted idea of heroism. But the Amandil before him seemed too tired even for that, and it struck Pharazôn that he had never seen him truly defeated until now. And then, even more belatedly, he realized that this did not give him the satisfaction he had expected.

“We will break camp at dawn. It is pointless to waste any more time here” he said, turning towards the doorstep to signal for assistance. “Say goodbye to your friend, Amandil.”

The old man lifted his glance again, so fast that Pharazôn was surprised.

“Why? What… are you going to do with her?”

“I am thankful for the stone that saved my life, though she probably did not intend it to have this purpose”, he explained, gazing a little wistfully at her delicate beauty. “But she is the first Elf we have encountered, and according to you, the only one we will find in a very long time.” The aide on duty called in two men from outside, who came towards her and grabbed her arms to hoist her up. “And the morale of my men requires a sacrifice.”

Amandil’s face blanched.

“You cannot do that. It is… it is both cruel and pointless. An immortal cannot be killed, or sacrificed. She will merely depart her body before you can touch her, and be reborn in a new one!”

“All the better for her and for us, then!” They watched her be dragged away, Pharazôn with indifference; Amandil, with a silent rage and impotence that immediately gave his old friend the clue that he was lying. “I do not bear her any ill will. I am only acting as a war commander here; it is nothing personal.”

“Please, let her go. Do not darken this holy land with such a foul deed”, Amandil begged, the dignity he had exhibited when he acted as envoy of the Baalim all but gone. “She has only found herself in this plight because of me. I was meant to show myself to you as soon as you appeared, and yet I experienced a moment of weakness when I saw your fleet and hid away, afraid of failure.” Once again, the cough wracked his body, and this time Pharazôn realized there were traces of blood in his hand by the time he moved it away from his mouth. “Knowingly or not, she saved your life, and she is an Exile. If she is sent to the Halls of Mandos after disobeying the Valar for a second time, I do not know if she will ever be allowed to leave them.”

Pharazôn shrugged.

“Then blame them, not me, for keeping immortal souls imprisoned against their will” he said. “So far, Zigûr does not seem to have lied in anything concerning them.”

“Kill me”, Amandil hissed, grabbing his tunic in a surprisingly strong grip. In his haste, he lost his balance, and his full weight fell upon Pharazôn and made him trip. “Me, not her. Let me be your sacrifice, for I am the one who is mortal, and ready to leave the Circles of the World. Cannot you see that I am the one whose life is meant to end by your hand, here and now?”

The King of Númenor laid his hands on his shoulders and forced him back on the chair, where he fell like a lifeless sack of barley, his strength deserting him as fast as it had come. All of a sudden, Pharazôn felt a dull fury gather in his chest, not excited by the Baalim, their so-called immortal puppets, or the shadow of failure that haunted his footsteps, but by him. By this man who had once taught him to fight, to survive adversity and to be sceptic of religious babble and inane superstitions of every kind, now reduced to a weak, pathetic mess who could only parrot the lessons others had fed him.

“You are already dead, Amandil”, he spat, before storming out of the room.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The sacrifice took place in the middle of the night. Just as Amandil had predicted, the she-Elf did not wait long enough for the blade to touch her flesh. The moment she took note of her surroundings, and grew aware of what would happen, her horror turned into pity, and Ar Pharazôn had to do a sudden effort not to squirm under her gaze.

“I cannot save you”, she said, and it took him a while to notice that his mind was able to understand her words, even though they were still in the Elven tongue. More immortal mind tricks, he told himself, trying to break away from the hypnotic quality of her eyes. “And I could not help Inzilbêth. Wherever she is, she is weeping for her children, and she will find no comfort.”

As he raised his hand to strike, her body crumpled, lifeless, on the altar. Around him, the superstitious soldiers stared in awe at the unmarked, untouched corpse, until Pharazôn slit her throat and they could see her blood flow red and warm into the sacrificial basin. This gave them a little courage, and the King took advantage of it.

“You see that they can bleed as we do. You see that their bodies die, and that no matter where their souls go, they can no longer harm us from there” he said. “If this is how the minions of the Baalim look like, we can face them on a battlefield and prevail.”

Slowly, a roar of approval began growing through the ranks, becoming thunderous as the corpse was thrown to the flames and they rose higher to consume it. Then, however, it faltered after the smoke, blacker and thicker than any other smoke he had ever seen, was blown into their faces by a sudden gust of wind. Pharazôn, who was closest to the fire, had to close his eyes and cover his nose to avoid choking with it, and as it continued spreading across the ranks, others followed his example.

“This is the Baalim’s doing”, he spoke again, in a louder voice, once it finally cleared up. “They are using all their power to prevent the smoke of our sacrifices from reaching the Great Deliverer, who is their greatest and most feared enemy. But once they are defeated, we will make the greatest pyre to be ever built, and light it in their own Mountain, from where our god will rejoice, and the rest of the world will tremble!”

Thanks to his quick reaction, spirits were still reasonably high as they broke camp and returned to the beach, where the fleet was still awaiting the last ships who had been sent to explore the coast. Once they were all back, they confirmed Amandil’s story: they were currently on an island, emptied of all its inhabitants, and the land of the Valar lay beyond it, separated by a mere channel. He gave orders to set sail in that direction, and had his men put Amandil on his own ship, where he remained silent and motionless, with only the dull gleam of his eyes to alert others of the fact that his soul still remained inside his body.

The farther they progressed, following the phantom coastline in the direction of the great peak that loomed larger and larger over their heads, the more silent the men grew. Once again, the mood that had gripped their spirits while they traversed the Great Sea seemed to be descending upon them, and even Ar Pharazôn himself felt his spirit battle a renewed onslaught of insecurity. Troubling reports reached him from one ship, then another, informing of the sudden transformation of two of their barbarian slaves into old men. Barely an hour later, there came a third, and the members of the war council began to mutter darkly among themselves.

“Those wretches are merely exhausted from their toil. They cannot tolerate hardship as Númenóreans do”, he dismissed the news flippantly. But the Númenórean admirals and commanders had seen Amandil, and the connection did not escape them.

“If any of you has a better insight to contribute, he is welcome to do so now. Loud and clear, so we all can hear his voice”, Ar Pharazôn frowned, his gaze trailing across those near him. Whenever his eyes met those of somebody else, they flinched and were lowered to the ground. Once satisfied that there would be no dissenters, the King turned his back to them and returned to his cabin, where Amandil awaited him.

“How are they doing it?” he hissed. The former lord of Andúnië shook his head with a bitter smile.

“I told you.” Again, the King longed to strike him.

“How long do you think that a Númenórean can exist in this place without feeling those… effects?” he changed his question, once he managed to calm himself down. Amandil did not reply at first, and for a moment Pharazôn thought that his old friend would simply ignore him. After all, he had nothing to lose anymore, and everything to gain by his own death.

“I could have lived a hundred years more in Númenor, if I had been so inclined. Here, I have lived three”, he finally answered. “All your short-lived barbarians could be dead in a matter of days, especially if you keep ripping every ounce of strength away from their unfortunate bones.” The bitter smile appeared in his lips once more. “After that, you will have to row your own ships for the return journey.”

“I do not care for the return journey. Once victory is in your grasp, there is always a way for everything”, Pharazôn snorted, to cover his turmoil.

“You hear, and yet you do not listen”, Amandil said, all traces of humour gone. “You cannot win. You are going to cause the deaths of so many! You will be the general who doomed his soldiers, the king who doomed his people, the husband and father who doomed…” His voice faded as Pharazôn’s hands closed over his neck and pushed him against the wall. When he went limp, the King of Númenor thought that this time he was truly dead, but a moment afterwards he could hear the old man gasping for breath.

“You did not seem inclined to doubt your own actions when you abandoned your son to a very messy and painful death”, he retorted vindictively. Taking advantage of Amandil’s horror, he turned away and left him there.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The three barbarians who had grown old were dead by the next day, and several more were growing wrinkles and grey hairs at an accelerated pace. Still, nobody dared speak a word about it, whether because of sheer fear of the consequences or because they still believed in him, Ar Pharazôn did not care to know. By that time, they had manoeuvred part of the fleet into the wide arm of sea separating the land of the Valar from the island. Another part would lay watch on the Eastern strait, which they had used to go in, while the rear had taken the opposite route West to meet them halfway.

Ar Pharazôn had his ship moored on a large bay, where there was a harbour, much smaller than the one in Sor and yet elegantly built. A handful of ships, of a curious workmanship no one had ever seen before, lay abandoned there, and soon his men were towing them away to make way for their own vessels. As they were busy with these endeavours, the scouts he had sent returned with similar news as everywhere else they had been: the city was abandoned, and they had not met a single soul in its houses and streets. Previously, Ar Pharazôn had believed them to be cowards, but now a dark part of his mind was beginning to re-evaluate his assessment. If things were as Amandil had claimed, then time could be on their side. It might be his feverish imagination, and the pull of superstition that had laid dormant in his heart for years, but when he looked at himself in the mirror, he thought he saw lines which had not been there before, and his hazel curls touched by silver.

“What do we do now, my lord King?” one of the senior admirals asked him after the scouts had finished their report. “Do we wait for them to send emissaries with their terms?”

Ar Pharazôn frowned.

“No. We will disembark and proceed in full strength until we find them, and then we will fight them”, he determined. Speed was of the essence, as it had never been in any of his campaigns. “Pass the orders to all the commanders under your authority.”

Without even pausing to look at the man’s bow, the King returned to his quarters. There, Amandil was lying on the bed, curled in a fetal position. He had fallen asleep, but his face was still wet with tears. Feeling himself taken by a renewed form of vexation, Ar Pharazôn shook him impatiently.

“I am going to disembark now. I cannot be saddled with you anymore, so you will have to stay behind”, he informed him. Amandil did not even seem to have heard, lost in his own disorientation and apathy. “I am going to launch my attack. You will stay behind”, he repeated, louder. “And you can live or die here; whatever you choose, I care not.”

Amandil’s sunken gaze was fixed on his, and there seemed to be some form of understanding in it now, but he still said nothing. Pharazôn swallowed an unexpected knot from his throat.

“I did not kill your son. I gave orders for him to be freed upon my departure for the Forbidden Bay”, he said, not knowing why those words were leaving his mouth. Amandil blinked, as if his mind had relapsed into its previous slow state. Then, after a while, a timid spark of something that was not despair crossed his eyes, and he struggled into a sitting position.

“Do not go. Please. Return to Númenor, save yourself. You still have time left, you are not lost. You are not…” He grabbed Pharazôn’s hand, which he yanked away, already regretting his brief instant of weakness. The moment he did so, he remembered his most recurring dream, and he froze.

When we meet again, I advise you to take my hand. If you do not, no man, demon or god will be able to help you.

He shook his head, desperately trying to clear it.

“Farewell, Amandil”, he said.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The Mountain of the Baalim was taller than the Meneltarma; taller even than the mountain ranges of Northern Seria, which the Númenóreans had believed to be the end of everything. It was also whiter, not like a snow-covered surface after the sun shone on it, but glowing with a light that did not seem to belong to this world. The more they approached its roots, leaving behind the harbour city to cover several miles up a stone road that meandered through a gentle slope until it reached a second, larger city with taller buildings, the less inclined the Númenórean soldiers were to raise their gazes. Ar Pharazôn, too, kept his eyes low, feeling the stirrings of an irrational fear against which he no longer had any protection, for the amulet the unfortunate Elf had gifted to his grandmother now lay abandoned at the place where she had burned. He had not foreseen how naked he would feel without it, or how her look of pity would become inextricably linked in his mind with the pleading of Amandil’s last gaze, and return to haunt him despite his efforts to keep both of them away.

“Will we… rest here, my lord King?” the youngest of his aides asked him, with hope in his voice. Most of the men in his host were used to cover much larger distances in the mainland, but they were exhausted by this march, even more than they should normally be. Pharazôn, too, was experiencing the pull of a strange force that made him feel as if his limbs were made of lead, nailing him to the ground the more he tried to challenge it. He had been fighting hard to keep an unflappable composure for the benefit of his men, but he did not know for how long he would be able to pretend, and night was already falling upon them.

“Yes, why not? There is a palace standing proud over the other buildings of this city: let us dine there and celebrate the conquest of a new, powerful enemy stronghold”, he declared with a smile. The aide nodded, forcing himself to smile too.

While the largest hall of the palace was being fitted for the banquet, Ar Pharazôn came upon a high balcony. From it, he had a good view of the ghost city, the road, the surrounding countryside, and even the other city they had left behind, with its harbour opening on the Sea. Every inch of this landscape was now teeming with the multi-coloured sails of the Númenórean fleet, and the successive battalions emerging from the ships’ bowels, who had camped across both cities and filled the space in between with their tents. If strange magic and superstition were not part of the bargain, he told himself, his victory would be a foregone conclusion. The missing population of the cities he had crossed, if combined, would not be enough to fill Umbar, let alone Sor or Armenelos, and they already knew that Elves could be killed, be it temporarily.

And still… the doubts, the questions and apprehensions remained there, crowding his mind despite his calculations. Meanwhile, his men were filled with doubts of their own, or so he realized when he saw that every attempt at breathing life into the feast fell flat. Some of his generals surreptitiously avoided the Elven food they were served, and banqueting songs never went beyond the second verse. Pharazôn wished he had brought Hyarnustari wine from his ship, for Elven wine was regarded with suspicion, and those who drank it felt melancholy instead of merry.

“Let us call it a night”, he said at last, rising from his seat in surrender. “We need to be rested for what awaits us tomorrow.”

That night, however, rest was nowhere to be found, even in the large, comfortable bed of the high prince who had once called this place his home. Whenever he tried to close his eyes, the King of Númenor was tormented by ghosts, no longer those of Elwen and Amandil alone, but many others. Some of them were very familiar, others less so, and some he had entirely forgotten until now. He saw a girl from the desert plains of Harad, crumbling on the floor with her hand still brandishing the knife. She was the first person he had killed, to save Amandil- or had she been the second? He also saw the old Adherbal, and the loyal Barekbal, who came when he was needed and died in his arms with no regrets, and Merimne, old as Amandil was now, yet levelling him with a gaze of proud superiority, as if she was aware of some important truth that escaped him. Lord Hiram, the raving, lunatic traitor of Forostar, held his son’s headless corpse in his arms, an arrow protruding from his own chest. Unknown barbarians gazed at him with fear and hatred as their lifeblood oozed away from their wounds and their bodies went up in flames. We are eagerly waiting for you to join us, Emperor of the West, a proud princess from a distant land spat, a vengeful light shining in her eyes.

“I will not die”, he mumbled, feverishly. “I will not die.”

You will, Gimilzagar said, in a state of great agitation that mirrored his own. And then my life will be worth nothing. You brought me to this world unasked, then you forsook your responsibility and threw me away like a broken toy.

What was the nature of this ambition? Gimilkhâd asked, bewildered. Where did it come from, my son, how did it creep into your soul to infect it like this? You already had all I dreamed of, all I ever desired, and yet you were not happy. You had to ruin everything.

You have become an enemy of the gods, Melkyelid chimed in, her eyes widening in fright. A man cannot fight the gods without invoking a terrible curse upon himself and his lineage. All the prayers I said for your sake, all the sacrifices I made, are lost as milk drops on a raging Sea.

I knew when my time had come, General, and I had the guts to slit my own throat, Merimne spat. You have only proved brave enough to slit the throats of others.

I died for you because I trusted you not to let my death be in vain, my lord prince, Barekbal nodded gravely, for the first time agreeing with her. But now, all your soldiers will die for the sake of a delusion.

Coward. Zimraphel’s black eyes seemed to swallow every light around him, and he remembered a hallucination he had had when he was young and foolish and tried to induce the visions with the sacred herb of the priests. Had that been a glimpse of the future, of this future he was living now? The hair from the back of his neck rose, and he repressed a shudder. You have finally found the end of the world, and now you cannot escape your fate any longer.

“Leave me alone” he hissed, covering his head with the pillow like a child afraid of the dark. But then, a skeletal hand fell on his shoulder, and his whole body trembled. Hesitantly, he looked up again, and at first he thought that Zimraphel was still there. As he blinked, however, he realized that something was wrong: his wife’s eyes had not been grey, and her features had not exuded this deep sense of vulnerability that threw his senses in disarray when he looked at her. The unknown woman, imperfect replica of the one who had torn herself from his arms mere days ago, was not speaking any words. She was crying, tears rolling down her cheeks and hands pressed against her mouth to choke her sobs.

“You should not be here”, he said. “I never knew you, and you never knew me. You died before I was born, throwing your life away like an Elven fiend, and I owe you nothing. Nothing.

“Run”, she begged, her voice the only one among the chorus of visions who held no traces of hostility, reproach or recrimination. Despite what he had done. “Your time is almost over. Leave this place and never look back! It is the only chance you have left, and soon it will have passed away from your grasp.”

Pharazôn did not know what made him feel so angry, so defensive in her presence.

“Save your tears for your precious friend, and your pity for the son you abandoned and the husband you betrayed. I have no more to say to you.”

The ghost vanished after this, and all the others with it. Alone at last, though shaken, Pharazôn forced himself to close his eyes until he fell into an agitated sleep.

At some point, he did not know if minutes or hours later, somebody’s insistent voice brought him back to the waking world. Opening his eyes, he saw the same young aide who had spoken to him yesterday, leaning over his bedside. This time, however, he was no longer feigning nonchalance in front of the King: his face was pale, and he looked terrified.

“What is it?” Pharazôn mumbled, belatedly growing aware that everything was still dark around them, and that there was a lamp burning on the nightstand. “It is not day yet.”

“No.” The man’s voice came out shrill, as if he was close to a fit of hysteria. “It is not. It- it will not come.”

“What do you mean, it will not come?” the King inquired, struggling into an upwards position. His limbs ached as if he had battled a horde of Orcs singlehandedly the previous night. “What will not come?”

“The day”, was the shocking answer. “The sun. The light. It-it will not come. And outside… oh, my lord King, you have to see it!”

Still dazed, and half-naked, Ar Pharazôn followed him towards the balcony. This one did not open towards the Sea, but towards the mountain of the Baalim, and as soon as they set foot on it, he saw the clouds around it gleaming red like the heart of a fire. This glow fell over them, over the gardens and the tents and the buildings, lending an eerie, nightmarish look to anything it touched, but the sky itself remained dark.

“What time is it?” he asked.

“It sh-should be t-two hours before n-noon”, the young man stammered. Pharazôn’s eyes widened.

“What?” He received no answer, and he forced his mind to work fast. “I see. They must be preparing their attack. Let us leave this place immediately.” Run, she had said, but he would not run. He would not be frightened like a deer only to be hunted down in his flight. “And then, we will launch ours. Send the order to my war council, and to all the battalion commanders.”

“But…”

“Do as I say, or you will not live enough to be killed by the Baalim”, Pharazôn hissed. At last, this seemed to have some salutary effect on his companion’s panic, and he bowed before rushing away.

Panic, however, had already spread through the ranks, and mere threats were no longer enough to quench it. Despite his conviction that they had to move fast, Pharazôn delayed their departure enough to offer a massive prayer to the Great Deliverer, vowing to consecrate him many prisoners if their endeavours were crowned by success. As the prayers reverberated in the nightmarish darkness of the open square, ten grim-faced volunteers stepped in, offering to sacrifice their lives for the victory of their comrades. Feeling his heart warm a little in his chest, the King did them the honour of officiating the sacrifice himself, and swore to bestow riches and titles upon all their families. The sight of their bravery, and the knowledge of the great power of willing sacrifice, gave courage to the other soldiers, who declared themselves ready to march after that.

As they left the city, with torches kindled in the Sacred Fire to shine a light upon their march, they came upon a road, hewn in the rock of the mountain. It was not particularly narrow, or steep, and yet it forced them to abandon their formation and slow down their pace. It would also be easy to be ambushed there, Pharazôn thought darkly, and yet there was no other path to take if they wanted to reach their destination.

He walked at the head of the column, his courage acting as an inspiration for those who followed him. After the path took the first turns, he could no longer see the rearguard, so he had to advance blindly. Still, for the first two or three miles, no news reached him of anything going amiss, and he assumed that every battalion who had been encamped in the Elven city were now following behind. Again, he forced himself to look down, this time to avoid setting his gaze on the unsettling sight of the red clouds. Any hopes he might have harboured that the sacrifice would dispel the unnatural darkness, however, were dwindling swiftly.

“Watch out!” someone cried. It took him a moment to realize that the ground was shaking under their feet. As he instinctively sought the man closest to him for support, his ears caught the sound of a growing rumble, which seemed to come from the very roots of the mountain. A crack opened beneath his feet, and only his reflexes saved him from being at the wrong side of it when the rocks crumbled down the abyss. He heard shouts of terror, coming from many directions, and, too late, he realized the trap he had walked into. The body he was holding on to became a dead weight: a boulder had crushed his head just a moment ago. Belatedly, he recognized the young man who had woken him up in a panic that very morning.

Dead, for your delusions, Barekbal’s voice whispered in his ear. Pharazôn shook his head, but he no longer could swallow the knot in his throat.

The ground rumbled again, and this time he was not fast enough to avoid the abyss opening under his feet. Covering his head with his hands in a vain attempt to protect himself from the mountain falling upon his head, his mouth open in a wordless scream, Ar Pharazôn fell.

The Coming of the Wave

This is technically the final chapter, but the story's status will remain "Unfinished" because I am posting a lengthy epilogue next week.

Read The Coming of the Wave

Back when she was a child, she had already lived many lives. The first of them, and the most pleasant, was the one where she had a brother, a sweet but earnest man who managed to compromise with all factions and wielded the Sceptre unchallenged–at least until he died without a male heir. In that life, she did not marry, and took up refuge in the North Wing of the Palace, where she leafed through old scrolls, drew paintings of people nobody knew, and dreamed wistfully of many things which had not been. When she was younger, she was filled with great confusion by those remembrances, for her twin had already been dead before she grew conscious of the murderous hands holding them, or the eyes gazing at them with malice from above. They came to her in the dead of the night, when she was treading the fine line between sleep and consciousness, and no matter how hard she tried to recapture them in the morning, it was to no avail.

The other lives were not as uneventful, and they terrified her to no end. She had associated them with people, giving them faces and names that were not hers in her first, clumsy attempts to dissociate the dark world in her mind from the world she could see with her waking eyes. The first was Ar Sakalthôr, the great-grandfather they said she had never met, but whom she knew better than her own father and mother. He, too, had seen many things, lived many lives, and tried in vain to grasp the ever-shifting shapes of the future until he could bear it no longer, and his mind snapped. After it did, he became a sad figure, a King in name only, bearing the contempt of his own son and kin, who could not understand the nature of his suffering. Nobody would understand her, either, and the day she lost her battle she, too, would be a pitiful figure to them, hidden away so she could not bring shame upon her glorious lineage. An old woman in a cage with gilded bars, unkempt and lost, she would be bullied into signing their decrees, and she would weep with rage and submit to their threats like a frightened child.

In her next life, however, the cage did not even have gilded bars, and nobody took the trouble to bully her. She was Alissha, the woman who became known as the Usurper and the Traitor after she lost the war against the cousin who usurped and betrayed her. She also lost the war against hers, the successful and ruthless Golden General of the mainland campaigns, adored by his soldiers and acclaimed by the people. The few who supported her rights to the Sceptre were destroyed, the line of Andúnië failed after nineteen generations, and she died, alone and forgotten, in the same tower where her infamous ancestor had passed away.

But it had been the third life, the one which uncovered a new brand of horror in the unexperienced girl’s mind. After she learned that she could banish Alissha by smiling at her cousin instead of hating him, after she had seen the blood wash away from his hands until only a lovestruck boy remained, ready to do anything for her, her fate grew darker still. She was unable to bear his children, and, one by one, her body expelled them while still half-formed, each taking a little from her. When the last of them came, the only one tenacious enough to hold on to her womb in his desperate wish to live, he dragged her in his downfall. And she became Míriel then, the Elven woman whose name she most hated to hear from her father’s lips, until she could not even bear his presence near her.

It had been a huge feat for the child she had been, to be able to isolate those lives from the terrible confusion that surrounded her day and night. Of course, her efforts had been clumsy and rudimentary, and the older Zimraphel’s more practiced eye was able to distinguish a hundred lives inside the label of Ar Sakalthôr, and even more ways to be Alissha or Míriel. Any word, any action, small as they might seem to the eyes of common mortals, could carve new patterns into the future, and multiply them by another hundred. Even worse, the more she was able to perceive the world around her, the more she grew aware of other people, whose fates were branched and disposed in a similar way, and grew entangled with one another. I can hear the Music of the Ainur, she had solemnly declared to her nurse, the day she told the Princess an old story about the birth of the world.

At one point, she had tried to follow them all, only to see them coalesce around Ar Sakalthôr, the forerunner of her madness. She had almost fallen down the abyss back then, until she came to the realization that she needed an anchor if she wanted to remain herself. She could start with a goal, and what better, truer goal for the mortal she was than self-preservation? There had to be a pattern of key choices she could uncover and disentangle from this mess, just like a seamstress might untangle a single thread from many others, and at the end of it, there would be life and happiness. At the end of it, there would be Ar Zimraphel.

Soon enough, she had identified those choices, this anchor, with a person, whom she had loved with the mad intensity with which a drowning woman would love her saviour. Whenever he held her in his arms, her fate shone bright before her eyes. She would not be Ar Sakalthôr, mad and abandoned, she would not be Alissha, defeated and dispossessed, while he was by her side, and even Míriel was driven away by the knowledge that he alone could conquer life for her and her child and not balk at the price. And yet, in the end, not even he was able to stop the ultimate nightmare where all the threads unravelled: the towering Wave that haunted the dreams of her ancestors. The older she grew, the clearer the realization became that holding to him only made it hurtle faster towards her, roaring with the rage of a thousand storms. For a while, she had played with fire again, searching every single life she had led for the key to change her fate. And that was how she had come upon two major discoveries: one which had killed her father, and another which had saved her.

“That is not possible.” There was a cruel irony in the fact of this man, who had proudly changed his name to Tar Palantir because he thought he saw farther than the rest, proving unable to bear the weight of true knowledge. “I cannot accept it. You are lying, as you have been doing for your whole life.”

“I am not lying. What you call foresight is nothing but a distant echo of the patterns that unfold before you as a result of people’s actions. You have the gift to perceive them, because you are descended from a creature so different from us that by rights all her children should have died screaming. But, like most of our ancestors, you cannot see beyond that. You see a few garbled signs, but you do not see the book. You see a crooked line, but you do not see the drawing. You think you have a privileged insight, but you are merely a blind man trying to grasp shadows with your bare hands.”

His eyes narrowed, but even pride could not cover his deep disarray.

“The dream of the Wave was sent to the line of Andúnië, to warn them of what would happen if Númenor persisted in the path of sin and rejected the teachings of the Valar. That is why I was born. That is why I was made King, and set out to…”

“To nothing!” she cut his tirade. “You knew nothing, and so you succeeded at nothing. The Prince of the South is more powerful than ever, and his popularity is at its peak. People laugh at your Valar, at your Wave, and at your widowed daughter inheriting your Sceptre!”

“And all because of you!” he spat, momentarily forgetting the mûmak in the room as his dormant rage was awakened again in his heart. “You forsook all loyalty, all thoughts of the good of the realm to pursue your mad infatuation. You rejected Elendil, doomed Vorondil and undermined my authority at every turn, with the sole purpose of elevating the object of your incestuous lust!”

Zimraphel wanted to scream in frustration, like she used to do when she was younger, and both her mother and the women who looked after her were as unable to understand her as barbarians who spoke in a different language. But this was even worse, for Tar Palantir could have understood her, if he had been willing to do so. If he had not been terrified of the truth tearing down every single illusion he had clung to throughout his life.

“I saved Elendil, Father! You should be thanking me on bended knee, and all your Faithful with you! If he had married me, there would have been war, and he would have lost it. I saw him die in battle, did you know that? Pharazôn wept in front of others when he saw his body, and swore he would have spared him if he had not fallen, for he was his dearest friend’s only son. But deep inside he was aware of how lucky he had been to avoid that choice.”

“If this was true, and you know everything, you should have helped him, as a loving wife and a loyal daughter. You could have told him what to do, and warned him of what perils to avoid.”

“Oh, yes”, she nodded, her lips curving in a terrible smile. “A blissful outcome, that one! He never even usurped me, or called himself King, which Vorondil would have done while your body was still warm. Until he failed to have children with me, and this led me to rest on an untimely grave, and the line of the lords of Andúnië to be broken forever. Nobody left to have your precious dream, nobody to survive the Wave once it comes for us all.”

“A Wave that, according to you, cannot be avoided.” Tar Palantir’s voice was dull, but he could not hide the strong emotions simmering underneath. “If we cannot change our fate by our actions, if our choices are nothing but illusions and destruction the only outcome, then it would follow that the Creator has forsaken us. And I will never accept that.”

This time, Zimraphel could not prevent herself from laughing.

“The Creator! Do you think He only created the Númenóreans? Do you think there is not a barbarian holding his head in his hands as you do now, refusing to believe that He has forsaken him and doomed his people to an eternity of terror and servitude?” She could see that the blow had struck home: back in his youth, the then-Prince had been as naïve as to think he could change the nature of their rapport with the barbarians. An idealism with had lasted only until he became entangled in his wars for dominion of the mainland with the Merchant Princes. “Do not be too hard on yourself, Father. Since the day the first sailor set foot on Middle-Earth, it was only a matter of time. Such a vast land, so full of resources, and nothing but primitive, short-lived barbarians to prevent us from taking what we wanted! First, it was the timber, then the precious metals and gems, then the very crops that were sown to feed the increasing population of an Island which could no longer feed itself. Glory came next, as ambitious generals sought to advance their career by spreading word of their exploits, and before the end we will come to hunt them, and they will die like cattle upon our altars.” Palantir’s eyes widened in horror. “But no empire lasts forever. Sooner or later, its gaze will grow fixed on an unsurmountable obstacle it will no longer be able to ignore. Sooner or later, this one obstacle preventing them from calling themselves the rulers of the world will come to torment their minds so greatly that they will see themselves as underserving of their glory and wealth unless they can defeat it.”

“Mordor”, Palantir’s lips mouthed the word, almost involuntarily. Zimraphel nodded – now, he was beginning to understand.

“Yes, Mordor. And in Mordor, there is the Dark Lord, who has been waiting for millennia for this eventuality. He has been rehearsing how he will grovel before the man who conquers him, and let him believe he is taking him as a prisoner against his will. And once he sets foot in Númenor, he will begin plotting its ultimate ruin, because he knows that no man who marches on Mordor will be able to resist the knowledge that there are other, even more powerful beings waiting to be defeated on the Western shore, as an ultimate test for his mettle and culmination of his dearest aspirations. And so, in the end, Númenor will be destroyed, its empire will fall, and the world will breathe free of its yoke.” Now, she had come to stand next to the window, where she could catch an unflattering glimpse of some of the excesses taking place after the victory feast. “All the paths converge here, Father. Your precious lords of Andúnië cannot save Númenor, they can only escape it and start a new, less destructive lineage somewhere else. But if this happens, it will be because of me. Remember that!”

It was a testament to his iron will, she had to admit grudgingly, that Tar Palantir did not give overt signs of the devastating effect of her words on the inner core of his being. All that a common mortal’s eye would be able to detect was an unnatural pallor covering his features.

“And why on Earth would you care about the line of Andúnië?”

She hesitated for a moment, then shrugged. No more secrets.

“Because I am not as noble and high-minded as you, Father. I only care about those whose fates touch mine, and I care about Elendil’s fate because he will save my son.” She heard him gasp. “You speak of my selfishness as if it was a terrible sin, but I have struggled long and bitterly to attain that state, the only one that could keep me from becoming your grandfather. Once I made my choice as a young girl, and embraced Pharazôn to flee the demons that terrified me the most, I sealed a fate where I would witness the Downfall, and fall victim to it. That fate is inescapable now, as inescapable as the destruction of the Island since Aldarion built his first harbour on the mainland.”

The old King’s gaze narrowed again.

“I do not believe you. There has to be… there needs to be…” He had always been a very articulate man, even in his public speeches before the Court and the Council, but now his careful eloquence was crumbling. “There has to be a way of doing it right.”

Zimraphel laughed bitterly again, feeling his piercing grey eyes try to reach the bottom of the well of her dark gaze. She let him in, deeper than anyone had ever been in her thoughts before. His probing was careful at first; then, it grew more and more erratic, as he was overtaken by wave after wave of disjointed visions he had never learned to sort out. Still, the core of his mind remained strong, and Zimraphel could feel his thoughts focusing on Pharazôn’s death in the Palace, that very night.

An obvious but disappointing choice, Father, she whispered in her mind. To do the right thing by eliminating a man.  Is that not a paradox? I have caused men’s deaths, but all I was striving for was my own happiness.

She felt him flinch at the first images, grow frantic at the next, until despair started seeping through him and all he wanted to do was to pull away and stop looking. For a moment, she was tempted to share his horror, for it was very long since she had allowed herself down this particular path, and there was something about the Island descending into a spiral of civil war which was inherently disturbing, even to her jaded eyes. The Númenóreans were not like the barbarians: for thousands of years, they had known who their King was, and the war between Ar Adunakhôr and Alissha, short as it had been, had been a harrowing experience that spread its insidious roots for many generations. But this was nothing compared to what happened when the main line went extinct, leaving behind powerful families with equal shares of the blood of Indilzar in their veins. First, it started clumsily, for noble Númenóreans had not been taught to be bloodthirsty in the peace of the Island, but after the first years of violence, there was no turning back anymore. It was as if a dam had broken, and suddenly many would-be Kings, their pride and vanity heightened by their immortal blood, pitted the Númenóreans against one another like dogs fighting in the alleys of Armenelos. The sheer impossibility to solve the conflict through any reasonable means –all had the blood of Kings, and of gods, all had noble ancestors and powerful genealogical arguments to support their claims- only made it fiercer, until the winner was not the most deserving, the noblest, or the wisest, but the most treacherous and cruel. And then his own son killed him, took his Sceptre, and set out to conquer Middle-Earth and bring Sauron prisoner to the Island.

When he pulled away, Tar Palantir’s eyes were dull, like those of fish underwater.

“Do you still think I am lying, Father?”

It took him long to be able to even form words.

“Leave”, he said once he could, his hands shaking. His heart, which had survived so many things, from being torn from his mother’s arms to the murder of his newborn son –and, what was even worse than those horrors, the death of love- was breaking upon the realization that it had all been in vain. And instead of blaming him, of laughing at the stupidity of a man who had chosen to sacrifice his own happiness for the sake of a grand cause without realizing that he had all of it backwards, Zimraphel found herself weeping for him.

It would have been a mercy to stick a knife in his back instead of telling him, she had thought, that day and also the ones that followed, while she and Pharazôn plotted to take the Sceptre. But that death would have incriminated her, foiling all her plans. To just decide to lay down his life, on the other hand, was a practice well-attested among the leaders of the Faithful, and his own mother remained in the memories of many as a notorious example of this devilry. Even though both she and her erudite ancestors had forgotten the real meaning of this custom, keeping it alive merely because it was an old tradition –or, worse, as a lofty excuse for the most abject surrender.

Zimraphel had told her father that everything was lost from the moment the Númenóreans set foot in Middle-Earth. But the truth was that it had been lost even before that, from the day Indilzar sailed away with his people and sundered them from their fellow Men. From that day on, they had arrogantly fancied themselves closer to the immortal than to the mortal, and banished the memory of all the Mannish customs that ensured the survival of their tribes in a hostile world. Those were the same customs they had found so horrifying later, once they relearned them from the long-forsaken brothers they fought and enslaved. When they found savages who sacrificed their kings after they grew old, and believed that their deaths brought bounty and prosperity to their subjects, they had thought it an ignoble lie spread by the Enemy, and they were so blinded by their pride that they never even noticed the parallel that stood clear before their very eyes.

The very idea of sacrifice, of dues paid to the gods was abhorred by the Elf-friends. It had been erased from their civilization for a long time, until it had returned in full force, under the perverted form of exploitation of a resource they stole from others by the strength of their arms. But the real, the true sacrifice had never been conquered by powerful arms; it was not a commodity, an animal-like chained man who was force-fed while he exchanged hands and profited those who paid for his soul to be cut away from his body. It involved willing victims, proudly offering themselves to the knife or walking into the desert for the good of others, like those long-forgotten chiefs at the dawn of the world, or the founder of Númenor, who sacrificed eternity in exchange for the Island, or the sons and grandsons who followed his example without knowing very well why. And those victims had to be nobler, higher than those who benefitted from their death. They had to be kings among their people, for what was sacrifice but the ultimate act of power? The priests’ legends telling of supernatural forces unleashed by the King of Armenelos after his sacrifice had the right of it, on a fundamental level- even if, as it was the wont of Men, they had conflated it with tatters of old legends whose true import they had forgotten.

Setting her feet on the ground, Ar Zimraphel let go of the reins, and took the bridle off her horse. At once, it started neighing and stomping, prey to a great agitation, and after turning in circles for a while it ran down the path, abandoning her. Animals also had their own form of foresight, she thought, listening to the anguished cries of the flocks of birds that flew past her as she progressed through the footpath. The ground had not shaken since the earthquake that took with it what remained of Armenelos, now a gaping wound in the surface of the earth. She thought of Zigûr, still alive inside his destroyed mortal coil, trying to slither past the rubble and cling to any of the bodies that lay strewn around him, only to realize they were all broken. The child he had created as an instrument to usurp the throne of Númenor was dead too, inside the womb of the woman who had believed in all his lies, but the worst was the knowledge that those he had wanted to destroy were out of his reach. What a pathetic little god. Like a mortal, like her own father, he had grown wilfully blind to the shifting patterns around him, believing he could be the centre of the tale, instead of the mere instrument he was always fated to be. He did not have enough power in him to change the outcome of this battle, or enough nobility to become a sacrifice - and now, he had been reduced to nothing.

Once unhorsed, her progress was slowed down, for her delicate feet were not used to tread upon this uneven ground. The wind, which always ululated harshly during Tar Palantir’s quaint ceremonies, had gone completely still, and the only sound that could be heard up here were the cries of the birds, though it seemed to come from a much greater distance now. It was as if Time had ground to a halt, as if behind the clouds and beneath the Sea, both tinged with the red colour of blood, every god and spirit tasked with moving the world was watching in anticipation.

Zimraphel walked purposefully, past the ascending pathway paralleling the crest. From that vantage point, she could see the land of Númenor, with its fair green fields and rolling hills. It looked so deceptively peaceful in the distance, sitting in the heart of the seas as it had for thousands of years, that the scenes of death, destruction and despair seemed like just one more of those visions that never came to be. In Rómenna, Gimilzagar would be boarding his ship now, unwilling yet spurred by the pleading look in Fíriel’s eyes. All those who huddled on the same deck as him hoped to be given the chance to outrun Death, but he alone knew that Death was inside him, and that he would be carrying it wherever he went.

He had been her greatest challenge, and also her greatest success. For when she was younger, and tried to unravel the patterns of her own life, he always stood like a gaping hole, no less of an unsolvable problem than the Wave itself. A dead baby in her womb, a dead child in her arms, a dead man falling to the floor when his puppet strings were cut, he never stood a chance in a thousand lives. But he had such a fierce wish to live, and held on to his anchor as tight as she to hers, only with an infinitely more poignant innocence, since he did not even know how she could ever save him. This had given Zimraphel hope, and she had studied the patterns surrounding him long and hard, until she finally discovered why she could never avoid the Wave – and the true power of sacrifice.

The path made a turn, taking her away from the edge of the abyss. Before she followed it, she gazed ahead, and realized that, in the horizon, the Sea that surrounded Númenor had started to retreat. Fascinated, she stopped in her tracks for a while, staring at the new, ephemereal landmasses emerging everywhere around her. Only the first Númenóreans had been blessed with the chance of witnessing this spectacle, and now, their accursed last descendants would see it once again before they died.

Time pressed, however, so she shook herself away from her awed contemplation of the last signs to continue in her way. Now, the path headed directly to a hollow basin in the centre of the highest peak of the Meneltarma, the one where she had been dragged, terrified, three times a year when she had been younger. She was no longer terrified, but it also looked more imposing than it did back then, when bored nobles and uncomfortable courtiers stood waiting for her father to finish speaking so they could go back to the feast. There were no nobles and no courtiers now, no ladies, no King trying to revive customs that he did not understand. There was only her, Ar Zimraphel Queen of Númenor, last ruler of the Island and last bearer of the Sceptre of Indilzar, speaking words that she had not found in a book or a dusty scroll, for the ancient Men who said them did not even know what those things were.

“Look upon me, Eru King of Heaven! Look upon me, gods of Men, and see that I am whole and without blemish, leader of my people and mother to my heir. My limbs were vigorous enough to reach you unaided, and my heart noble enough to climb those steps of my free will, without need or coercion. Eru King of Heaven, gods of Men, this is what I wish: grant life and prosperity to my bloodline, and freedom from the darkness. May the lands they hold be bountiful, their lives long, and their children many.” She swallowed, momentarily distracted by the sight of a large, dark shape looming in the distance. At first, it looked like a cloud, but its rumble was thunderous, and its darkness too solid and unbreachable, swallowing every single light in the sky. “If- you agree to my deal, receive my life here and now and bind yourselves to my pledge.”

There was a sliver of foam, glistening like silver in the crest of the towering mass of water that was fast approaching her. Zimraphel watched it, mesmerized, her eyes widening at this vision of unexpected beauty. The Queen of the Seas, the sailors would have said, pointing at it in superstitious awe. They, at least, had never forgotten how beautiful and how deadly she could be. For a while, Zimraphel herself had been her living embodiment in this world, awing the populace who lowered their eyes at her beauty and sang their litanies at her. Fairer than silver, fairer than ivory, fairer than pearls. Now, she would ride the tip of the Wave, close to the brink, for a few seconds before she was plunged into its depths, a fleeting goddess allowed an intoxicating glimpse of the world from above before she came to join her fellow mortals in the vale of shadows. The most fitting of deaths, so perfect that she wanted to weep.

But tears were banned from the mountain ritual, by a prohibition much older than the stone that lay beneath her feet. So instead, Ar Zimraphel opened her arms wide, and smiled as she was swept away.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

He had not moved an inch from his position, curling together with Fíriel over the lurching, flimsy wooden planks that separated him and the others from the wrath of the Sea. Still, no matter how hard he tried to remain inconspicuous, he knew that all eyes were fixed on him. Around the time the currents began sucking them into a vortex, and oars and sails had proved useless in their increasingly desperate attempts to escape the death trap, the soldiers and fishermen who crowded the deck had started following him with their glances, and whispering darkly among themselves.

Gimilzagar had good reason to be wary of them. When people felt like helpless puppets at the mercy of an unknown force, when they no longer had any measure of control over their fate, they would go to any lengths to reclaim it. He was the perfect scapegoat, the cursed abomination that Heaven would not suffer to escape the destruction. Without him, they would be safe; with him, they were doomed. If it was not for Lord Isildur, whose protection rose like a defensive wall between them and the murderous impulses of their companions, he knew that he would have been thrown overboard at the very first sign of peril.

Gimilzagar, however, was not sure that he wanted to be protected. He had not wanted to set on this journey, and if it was for him, he would not even be aboard this ship now. He, too, was unable to see how an abomination could live after the evil that allowed him to breathe was overthrown. A quick death seemed easier, and more desirable than a drawn out agony with an inevitable ending, and if those people had asked him to jump into the swirling waters, he would have obliged, whether it was enough to save them or not.

Suddenly, the ship stopped moving. Around them the gale abated, and the air grew eerily still. Gimilzagar stretched his neck to peer across the railing at the line of the coast, and the treacherous rocks against which they had almost been hurled several times already. But this time, looming above the familiar landscape there was another, much darker shape that towered high over Númenor. Gimilzagar recognized it as the monstrous Wave of his dreams, which had swallowed his people, his kingdom, and the very stars in the sky. As its crest of silver foam grew visible to his eyes, he caught a glimpse of a woman’s pale shape: a ghost who floated towards him, powerful and regal despite the destruction that surrounded her.

There is one sacrifice which can end all sacrifices, the Queen had crooned to the sad and angry boy in her lap, in a villa by the seaside long ago. One day, you will understand.

Gimilzagar stood paralyzed, shaking, only distantly aware of Fíriel’s attempts to pull him down. Even as the Sea hung above his head, even as he heard the shouts, the screams of the others, and Fíriel’s knuckles grew white with her painful grip, he no longer perceived the danger, or feared for his fate. For, while all his companions saw their lives escape their grasps, he could feel himself become the master of his, and no storm, no towering waters or promise of destruction could quench the powerful warmth spreading across his chest and trickling into all his limbs.

Yes, Gimilzagar, the ghost spoke. You are free now. Your life no longer belongs to a demon, but to you. I fulfilled my debt, be it late, and gave you what every mother should give her child when they are born.

“Why?”, he whispered, swallowing a sudden surge of shame and anguish. The flare of happiness which had burned in him when he felt the shadow lift from his soul, was swiftly quenched by the unbearable cold of this ultimate realization. “Why did you never tell me?” Fíriel whimpered. “I blamed you for my plight, for keeping my hopes alive with delusions. When you sent me away, I thought you did not want to watch me die!” Tears flowed freely down his cheeks. “You did not even give me the chance to be grateful.”

Ar Zimraphel only smiled.

Do not concern yourself with that, my child. Her voice was a caressing whisper in his ear, as the coast disappeared for ever and the seas grew taller all around them, making every wooden plank in the ship creak and every passenger scream. No matter where you go, my spirit will always be with you.

Gimilzagar lost his balance, and his head was hit against the railing. Before everything went dark, the very last thing he could see was Fíriel clutching a rope, and holding on to him while the roaring waters swept across the deck.

 

 

Epilogue: New Beginnings

Read Epilogue: New Beginnings

The public gathered in the ornate women’s banqueting hall was clearly enjoying the feast. All the Arnian ladies had let go of their veils and their dignity for a while, to drink their fill of colourful concoctions where the sweet and refreshing taste of fruit juices masked the presence of alcohol. From the oldest grandmother to the youngest maiden, everyone was laughing at the spectacle of the Númenórean-style comical dancer who had been hired to entertain them that evening, and exchanging barrages of words in rapid Arnian. When the lady of the house excused herself for a moment, they nodded politely, and waved at her departing form with a chorus of wishes for her prompt return.

“Not long ago, those cows would have killed themselves before admitting that they knew me”, the Lady Zama whispered to Fíriel, her painted lips curving in a crooked smile. “Now, my husband is head of the Council, and my cousin and foster sister is descended from the Queen in a straight female line of descent, the way old-school Arnians like it. And, look! all of a sudden, they are all lining at my doorstep to ask favours from me. Did you see the old lady in the corner, the one who got drunk after her first glass? Yesterday morning, she came to my house and refused to budge until I had secured the honour of standing on the front row of the coronation for her son!”

“Did you tell her that this had nothing whatsoever to do with you?” Fíriel asked. Just as she had imagined, Zama shook her head, scandalized.

“Of course not! Do you want them to think I am not worth knowing again? Now, the front row was out of the question, but I managed to convince her that, among the Arnians, none but the council members would stand before him. Once she cooled off, she had to admit it was a good deal. If she asks, please tell her that all the Númenóreans who are given precedence are related to you, too.”

Fíriel raised an eyebrow. The new order had been established fast, perhaps a little too fast, according to some in her own family. The influential members of the nobility who had conspired with Anárion had rushed to act as soon as the ships of the Faithful emerged from the wreckage of the Island. Once they realized that their pay was not guaranteed anymore, the mercenaries hired by the Governor had sided with those who could produce money on the spot, and murdered their former employer. Elendil still smelled of salt when the newly-formed Council of Arne had come to lay the dusty crown of their former kings at his feet. According to them, a stash of ancient documents had been found, proving irrefutably that the famous prince of Númenor who slept with an Arnian princess to give birth to their royal line had, in fact, belonged to the house of Andúnië. Fíriel’s grandfather had thanked them, reverently picked up that strange barbarian contraption that looked like some sort of helmet with wings, and promised that he would accept it in due time and with the proper ceremony. Tomorrow, he would be finally fulfilling this promise, and yet the more Fíriel learned about Arnian society through Zama, the more she felt that this union of peoples was built on a large share of misunderstandings –some accidental, but others purposeful.

The foremost of those misunderstandings, Fíriel thought, was the idea that Elendil wanted to be the successor of Xaris the Fourth as king of Arne. He accepted the responsibility those people had thrust upon him –without losing sight of the fact that, as Irimë had been heard saying, to receive a title of kingship, even bestowed by barbarians, would not hurt his legitimacy among the Númenóreans-, but it was far from the only responsibility weighing upon his mind. The Faithful of Númenor, his people, were scattered across the continent from the Middle Havens to the Poros. The Elves would not help him hold the North forever, and even much closer to their current location, things had already grown uglier than he would have desired. When the astonishing news of the sinking of the Island had reached Pelargir, it had done so with a bloody trail of civil strife following in its wake. Shaking themselves free from the fear that Númenor had enforced upon them for decades, even believing the end of the world to be at hand, the downtrodden majority of Faithful had braved the swords of the mercenaries and broken into the rich villas of the Merchant Princes, looting and killing as they went. Isildur had been sent to re-establish some semblance of order to this chaos, which had mostly been achieved by giving the surviving non-Faithful the opportunity to take ship for Umbar, confiscating their riches, and promising the Faithful that they would be used to take care of their needs. He had been provisionally invested with the title of Magistrate, with Elendil as his colleague, but deep inside they all knew that this office no longer held any meaning after the Sceptre every magistrate in Númenor derived his authority from had sunk under the waves. All the tribes who had individually sworn allegiance to the Sceptre had now been freed from their oath as well, and if Elendil did not move decisively and fast, if he grew too comfortable within the confines of his new Arnian kingdom, soon they would have enemies crawling out of every hole. And –this had been pointed out by Irimë, too- the Númenóreans were no longer so numerous, their fortresses no longer so unassailable, that they could afford to remain scattered and disunited in a hostile world.

In the small hours of the night, the politically-minded of the family stayed awake, searching their minds for all the things that could keep the Númenóreans united and their allies firmly on their side after the disaster that wiped their capital, their Sceptre and their kingdom off the face of Earth. One of those things was the bloodline of Elros, of which Elendil was an illustrious scion, though the last King among his forebears –prophetically enough named Tar Elendil- had lived thousands of years ago. Another was their faith, which would require the house of Andúnië to relinquish their dynastical claims to the Númenórean settlements and possessions in the South. But that was almost a foregone conclusion: even though its garrison had been diminished by Ar Pharazôn’s mobilisation, they would never be powerful enough to take the Second Wall.

A third element they were rather hesitant to discuss in her presence, but which was closely related to the second, was hatred. Every Faithful Númenórean in the mainland had suffered persecution at some point of their lives. Most refugees had lost everything they possessed, and many had also lost loved ones. In this, they could also relate to the barbarians, who had been oppressed, enslaved, if not downright hunted in their own lands. The names of Ar Pharazôn and Ar Zimraphel were curses in all their tongues, and everyone had rejoiced at their deaths as if the Dark Enemy of the World had been vanquished, to the point of weaving terrible stories around their mysterious end to make it an even more satisfying memory. Now that Heaven had thrown its wrath at the impious tyrants, punishing them for their sins, only a pale reminder of their power remained in the South, unable to threaten their lives any longer- at least for the time being.

“You look very pensive”, Zama interrupted her musings. Fíriel almost gave a jump. “Could it be that you are having second thoughts? To be honest, I would welcome such news.”

“Your husband is head of the Council of Arne”, Fíriel said, bemused. “Your status will remain high regardless of my presence here.”

Zama looked offended.

“It is you I am worried about! Middle-Earth is very large, and very dangerous. Here, you could have safety, and a high position with everything that comes with it: nice dresses, servants, and as much food and drink as you want!” she argued. Her cousin had to try hard not to smile at this: despite spending many years as a high lady of Arne, underneath the thin veneer of glamour Zama would always remain a peasant girl at heart.

“I know. But to be frank, I have had my fill of all those things. I spent years eating and drinking fine food and wearing fine dresses while the Palace servants addressed me as lady and bowed to me, and well protected by the four walls of the same room I saw every day of my life. Now that those four walls no longer exist, the last thing I want is to exchange them for others. I want to breathe in the open air, even if it kills me.”

“Bullshit.” And all the fancy language she had learned had been in the Arnian tongue, it seemed. “You just don’t want him to go alone.”

“Well, that too”, Fíriel admitted. Zama sighed.

“I will never understand how you could fall in love with him. But given that you did, your family could find a way to keep him here. After all, your grandfather will be the King tomorrow.”

“It’s more complicated than it looks.” Which was quite an understatement, she thought in some bitterness. Her grandfather had sworn to protect Gimilzagar, but that oath was not likely to do him any favours on the long run. The Prince of the West possessed the rare ability of being a hindrance to every single plan to bring the Númenóreans and their allies together. While he lived, Elendil would be hard pressed to justify any kingship over the survivors of the Island based on a blood claim, a matter which could grow very serious the moment the Southern Númenóreans heard of the legitimate King’s survival. His role as Gimilzagar’s protector, on the other hand, threw a shadow over his status as leader of the Faithful, who still saw Ar Pharazôn’s son as an abomination and the spawn of those who had defied the Valar. And of course, neither the Númenóreans nor the barbarians would be able to rally around a common enemy as long as he was standing in their midst, let alone bedding their King’s granddaughter. For now, he had remained hidden from view -and away from her bed-, but that situation could not last long, and once his identity became common knowledge, strife would inevitably break anew. There could be attempts on his life, even wars waged for his sake. And no matter what the outcome was, in the end, Fíriel would lose him.

Elendil knew all this, of course. Still, he was too noble to go back on his word to a dead woman, which was why Gimilzagar had been forced to make the decision for him. This had proved a frightening experience, for he had never made a decision about his own life before, and, as he confessed to Fíriel, this freedom was not as rosy as it had once appeared in his imagination. Wherever they went, there would always be multiple dangers waiting to assail them. Still, the more they planned their ‘escape’, which would take place while everyone was busy with the coronation ceremony, the more engrossed he grew in the tales and descriptions of the lands they would cross. As he spoke about them, she had caught a gleam in his eye, that bore witness to a deep, hidden yearning to break the shackles that still kept him chained to the cruel joke his previous existence had been.

Despite this adventurous mood which had seized him, however, the map they had used to discuss their route was no less full of dark spots for it. Khelened, who had declared herself too old to travel anymore, had warned them against going to Khand –according to her, they would never survive it-, and both Harad and the Northern coasts were teeming with Númenóreans. The territories that lay farther inland to the North and East looked more promising, Gimilzagar claimed, even those inhabited by other races who had stayed out of Men’s way for centuries, and whom Elendil was planning to entice into future alliances. They would also have some help in their journey: two Arnian guides recommended by Zama, and an unemployed mercenary they had hired as a bodyguard through her husband’s contacts. In their company, they would pretend to be a merchant couple on their way to sell their merchandise, which would provide Gimilzagar with the chance to finally become Abdazer, son of Eshmounazer, the wishful alter ego he had made for himself in his childhood.

“Tell my mother that I am sorry. That I had no choice but to do this. Will you?”

“I will do nothing of the sort!” Zama shook her head, horrified. “If she learns that I was involved in this, she will blame me. I am an Arnian noblewoman now, and my duty is to advance my house, not to become a personal enemy of the Princess Ilmarë!”

Fíriel’s eyes widened.

“I… see why you might think that”, she began, cautiously. “But she will understand. I know her well enough by now as to be certain that she will.”

“That does not mean she will not take her frustration out on the messenger. I do not know her as well as you do, but highborn people do this all the time, both in Númenor and in Arne”, Zama retorted. Fíriel opened her mouth to reply hotly, then closed it as her cousin’s point sunk in. Perhaps she should not be so fast to blame her for just being cautious.

“Fine. I will give you some advice before I go. If you wish to advance your house, it is the Princess Irimë you should approach”, she said, finally breaking her pensive silence. “Do not ask me why, how, or in what capacity, but she will be the one running things here for the foreseeable future. And if your role in this should ever be discovered, she will protect you, because she knows better than anyone that we cannot stay here for a day longer. In fact, she was the one who arranged all our meetings so we could make our plans, and she will also be the one helping us to get away from the Palace tomorrow without being seen.”

“Oh.” Zama looked relieved at this. “Then she will be blamed, not me.”

“Exactly.” Fíriel smiled. “Well, it is getting late now, and tomorrow will be an eventful day. I think I will call it a night, and set you free so you can return to your feast, and have fun with your adoring clique of petitioners.” The smile grew warmer, and she began to feel a knot forming in her throat at the dawning awareness of the fact that they might never see each other again. “I… am so glad to have been given the opportunity to meet you once more, little sister.”

Zama’s eyes grew a little misty at this. She looked away to hide it; an affectation she had picked up from the Arnians.

“I am glad to have met you, too. And not only because you brought the clique of petitioners to my house.” Her embrace was warm and smelled of expensive perfume, but underneath it, Fíriel fancied she could still catch a hint of the fresh grass of Rómenna. Their home, now buried for ever under the waves. “Have a good journey, and please be very careful.”

Fíriel disentangled herself from her, swallowing a sob.

“Do not worry, I will be.”

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

The moment he saw the citadel of Arne disappear behind the horizon, Gimilzagar had experienced a bout of fear, mixed with a tentative exhilaration. He felt just like when he was a child in the beaches of Rómenna, and he bypassed the vigilance of his strict nurse and bodyguards to run ahead without looking back, drunk with the intoxicating taste of freedom. But that freedom had been an illusion, the dream of a boy unable to break the invisible chains that tied him to the altar, to the monster who appraised his every move with calculating eyes, or even to his father’s misguided expectations. Now, it was real, which made it infinitely sweeter- and infinitely more dangerous.

“Arnian barges are not the fastest transport in the world, are they?” Fíriel was squirming a little too much, her eyes fixed on the Anduin with impatience. Gimilzagar pulled her close.

“Do not worry. From what I have been able to gather, an Arnian coronation is quite the thing. By the time the new royal family manage to break free from the protocols, we could be in Rhûn already.” He sobered abruptly. “Though perhaps you should be hoping we get caught. You had a bright future and a loving family in Arne, and instead you are on the road with me, disguised as a common merchant’s wife.”

Fíriel raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, but I am quite common. I only disguised myself as a lady for your sake. Now, I would have needed to do it for their sake.”

Gimilzagar was not distracted by this.

“I am being serious.”

“And I am being serious, too!”, she retorted. “Listen to me: I never, in my wildest dreams, expected you to live. In spite of that, I would have given anything, anything at all! to be able to hold you in my arms for another year, even for another day beyond our allotted time. When the world was sinking around us, all I could think about was the Deceiver’s words to me, when he cornered me in that fountain of the Palace and claimed I was being kept to sacrifice myself for you. I would have done it, Gimilzagar.” His eyes widened. “But it would have been an act of sheer selfishness, for I counted the one who departed this world first as the more fortunate of the two.”

“Do not say that. Do not even think that”, he pleaded, shaking his head. “The Deceiver is gone, and all his lies and manipulations lie with him in the bottom of the Sea. All he ever wanted was to scare you away from me, so I would no longer have the strength to resist his attempts to turn me into a puppet ruler to replace my father.” And she had never even been the intended sacrifice, though the truth of how he had broken free of Zigûr’s snare was a secret that she ignored to this day. Ar Zimraphel had never told her because she knew that both Zigûr and Gimilzagar himself could read her mind –and once his mother was dead, Gimilzagar had still not found it in his heart to reveal the truth to anybody.

“All I want is for you to understand that you could be headed to wrestle lions in the desert of Harad, and I still would have chosen to go with you.” Her hand caressed the side of his face softly, and he could feel her gaze on him, examining every detail and line, every imperfection in a way which had become familiar to him since they sailed away from the Island. The grey eyes brimmed with wonder, as if she was a pilgrim of the Cave witnessing a miracle.

“Lions are not the worst thing out there.”

“I can’t believe you. Are you chickening out now that the plan is already in motion?” She frowned in reproach, though soon her brow cleared. “Middle-Earth cannot be as savage as they make it to be. A lot of merchants travel for business: if they all died on the way, they would have felt the urge to rethink their livelihood at some point.”

“Those merchants are neither legitimate Kings nor abominations in disguise. I…” Gimilzagar’s voice trailed away as she kissed him again, and again, and then again. An effective way to silence me, he continued in her mind, before her hands went downwards and this, too, dissolved into incomprehensibility.

A moment later, she pulled away, leaving him cold and bereft. He whimpered, but she merely laughed, taking his hand in hers and guiding him through the narrow stairs that gave access to the privacy of the small cargo hold.

 

*     *     *     *     *     *

 

That night, as he lay under a blanket beneath the stars, she came to him again. He had not told anyone this either, but after his soul had been freed from the darkness, Gimilzagar had felt more than the warmth of life creeping back into his limbs. A torrent of visions had cascaded into his mind as well, and they had made him feel as lost and disoriented as a blind man suddenly able to see the world around him. Because that is what you were, my child, she had whispered, a blind man, scrambling to catch some tatters of the visions which should have been his heritage, but were stolen from him on the day of his birth.

His first impulse had been to say that he did not want such a heritage; that he could not take it. But she had been with him, and little by little, like a patient mother teaching her child to say his first words, she had shown him how to find the important threads, and form patterns with them. When he lay overwhelmed by the weight of his impending choice to stop clinging to the illusion of material safety, and plunge into the abyss of the unknown, she had returned to help him, over and over again. And, though her guiding hand had not dissipated his fears, she had gradually put faces on them, and he had discovered that this made them less haunting and a little more manageable.

The first decision you need to make, she had told him, the most important of them all, is whether you wish to enter history, or disappear from it. The Southern Númenóreans had already been informed by their spies about his existence, and soon, they would also know of his departure, and the new royal family’s attempts to find him. Mercenaries, spies, tribesmen and bounty hunters of all kinds would search for him in every road, hoping to receive the generous reward promised by the Merchant Princes of Umbar for his safe delivery. Once he was taken to their city, he would hold the newly-minted Sceptre as Ar Gimilzagar the Exile, King of the Middle-Earth Númenóreans, and they would use him as a weapon to destroy the usurpers from Andúnië. But if Elendil’s men found him first, and he was brought back to Arne, their heralds would cross the Poros with pressing demands for the return of the King, and once they were denied, the result would still be the same. The flames of war would flare high at the most critical time for their survival, and the seedlings of Númenor would perish before they grew strong roots on the soil of this new land.

Disappearing from history, however, could mean nothing but a cruel death in the shadows, unknown and unmourned. Bandits awaited to slit their throats, and roaming packs of Orcs who had forgotten their master, but not his evil. Others, the enemies of his father, would choose to follow the lead of the Merchant Princes, and set a price – this time on his head. And if they fell into the hands of one of the many peoples with grievances against the Sceptre of Númenor, they could not hope to find mercy.

It is impossible, Mother, he spat, in a moment of desperation. We will never make it.

Ssssh, she crooned, her lips curving in the enigmatic smile he had used to find so infuriating. There is a way. You opened it yourself, though you may not remember it. But if you seek your past, you will find it.

This riddle had been in his mind for many days, taunting him with its deceptive difficulty. As much as he thought about it, he did not remember opening anything in his past. All he had done while he lay in Ar Pharazôn and Zigûr’s shadow had been closing doors, severing ties, and burning bridges. Tonight, however, as he lay with the memories of Fíriel’s hands roaming through his body still fresh on his mind, he suddenly stumbled upon something – and, as he did, his mind was flooded by visions of the new future, frightening yet hopeful, that could lay in waiting for them.

“They swear this is the abomination, but he does not look like much.” The man delivered a sharp kick to his side, and Gimilzagar groaned. A few paces away, from the place where she had been tied up, Fíriel was screaming abuse at them. “He looks like a common Númenórean weasel to me. I hope his memory is good enough to solve the problem for us.”

The words were spoken in a barbarian language, but by now he had had ample chance to hone the subtle skill of guessing at the meaning of every word by finding it in their minds. They were waiting for a man; someone they respected and who, they believed, knew him well enough to tell him apart from other Númenóreans. Gimilzagar wondered who it could be.

“Oh, there he is” the first man said. Immediately, Gimilzagar struggled to raise his head and look at him, but he received a second kick, more painful than the first. “You stay down, dog.”

He did not dare lift an inch of his body again, but from the corner of his eye, he managed to catch a glimpse of the kneeling man. The shock of the unexpected sight left him paralyzed.

Akahathzin’s burned face was staring back at him. As he gazed at him, and extended a hand to grab his chin, ostensibly to have a closer look at his features, he looked as shaken as he was.

Please, he spoke in the barbarian’s mind. The former interpreter flinched, and belatedly Gimilzagar remembered how much he had feared that particular trick of his. I saved your life.

Akahatzin was unnerved. Pretending to need an even closer look, he knelt by his side, and whispered in his ear.

“What do you want me to tell them? These are my people, my kin and my family, and we have close alliances with many tribes in this region.  I know who you are, and I know that you need to kill others to stay alive.”

“Not any longer”, he whispered back. “You must believe me. Please. I can prove it to you. If I was ever good to you, let me prove it.”

Akahatzin frowned, thinking hard. Then, he looked up, and addressed the men who awaited his judgement expectantly.

“I am not sure. He looks somewhat like him, but many years have gone by since I was a slave in the Island.”

“Well, if you are not sure, then we should kill him just in case.”

“No! He might be an innocent merchant!”, he objected. Given the respectful silence that ensued, Gimilzagar guessed that this man’s objections carried a lot of weight in his community. “The Abomination could not survive unless the souls of men and women were sacrificed for his sake. Let us keep him imprisoned for a year, away from his source of nourishment, and see if he lives. If he does, we will set him free with our apologies. If he does not, we will have our revenge, because his agony will be long and terrible.” You still have the chance to plead guilty and settle for a less painful death, was his unspoken challenge, but Gimilzagar nodded.

“Y-yes, please. I will do it. I will submit to anything you want.”

Akahathzin shrugged. Aside from his burns, he was a very different man from the one who had sailed from Númenor all those years ago. Age was beginning to show upon his features, but in spite of that, he looked stronger and more confident than Gimilzagar would have believed possible for a cowering slave who never met his eye. A leader of people.

“We will provide for your wife in the meantime. She will live in my own home, and my wife will take care of her.” As if in a dream, he saw Rini, also older yet still retaining vestiges of the once otherworldly looks that turned her into a Númenórean prince’s concubine, advancing towards Fíriel. The men who were on her way stood aside as if for a queen, and one offered her a knife with which she cut the other woman’s ropes.

After they were gone, the barbarians led Gimilzagar to his prison. His background had led him to expect some dark dungeon, though this mountain village was nothing like the former city of Armenelos, and the houses were all made of wood and straw. Instead, he found himself inside something more similar to a hen coop. Taciturn guards who avoided his eye were set to keep watch over him, and slowly, as one day took the place of another, he grew resigned to his fate. Three times a day, a new guard came to relieve his comrade; three times a day, too, they brought him food and emptied his urinal. Fíriel was allowed to visit after Rini made clear that she was to have freedom of movement, and that she had her absolute trust. They pressed against the wooden bars to steal kisses, to touch each other, gradually losing whatever shreds of Númenórean modesty they might have kept from a time of grand palaces, sprawling gardens and private rooms. A few weeks in, half-moved and half-amused at their behaviour, his guardians even let her in so they could make love, and he did not remember having experienced stronger sensations in all his lifetime.

One day, four months after they were caught, she entwined her fingers with his, pressed her lips harder than ever against his mouth, and announced that she was pregnant with his child. Gimilzagar could not even make sense of the words at first. For all those years, he had thought himself unable to create life, unless by the same twisted methods through which he had come into the world. Now, though the intellectual part of his brain was aware that the curse was lifted, he did not dare believe in this luck.

As another month went by, however, the curve in Fíriel’s belly was undeniable. Rini certified it before the women of her people, and the decision was made to free Gimilzagar from his prison, for no abomination could ever bear child.

“How could this happen?” the former Pearl of the North inquired by way of her husband, as she laid a plate of food before him the evening of his release. Gimilzagar had never been so hungry, even though they could not be accused of starving him. “I thought you were cursed until the day you died.”

“The curse ended when Númenor sank” he volunteered, by way of an explanation. Her gaze grew hard as she pondered his reply.

“So it was with us.”

Gimilzagar drank a sip from his glass, carefully choosing his next words.

“There are still plenty of Númenóreans around. That is why I fled. Half of them want me dead, and the other half want to make me King.”

“So why don’t you go with the latter half?” she asked. “They might keep you safer.”

“I would rather die than let them lay hands on me again”, he said. She arched an eyebrow in disbelief.

“I do not think those big words can ever mean the same to you as they do to the rest of us.”

“And yet he is here, Rini”, Akahathzin intervened, conciliating. “And if not for our intervention, he would indeed have died.” All of a sudden, his eyes narrowed, and he sunk them on Gimilzagar, who had now had months to prepare himself for this eventuality. “Why don’t you say here with us? They will never seek you here, and you can live in peace.”

The sound of broken clay reached his ears; as he turned towards the door, he found himself face to face with Fíriel’s shocked expression. She had just returned from being sick outside, and came upon them right on cue to hear the proposal.

“I thank you for your kind offer” he replied. “But first, if you do not mind, I would like to discuss it with the mother of my child.” His heart brimmed at the meaning of the words sunk in, and slowly, as she recovered from the impression, he could see her reciprocate. She offered him a tremulous smile.

The next day, they announced to Akahathzin and Rini that they would accept their offer. Five months later, their child was born, a girl who, soon afterwards, was followed by a boy, and then by another girl. In time, they learned the language and customs of the mountain barbarians, who came to lay down their remaining aloofness and accepted them into their community. Still, their neighbours never forgot where those long-lived folk came from, and decades after they had stopped using Adûnaic to talk among themselves, they were still known as the Númenóreans, a name which would be inherited by their children and grandchildren.

One day, one of those grandchildren would return, his adventurous heart spurred on by tales of his illustrious descent and kinship with the royal line of Númenor, to stride boldly into the King’s court and claim his heritage with Fíriel’s old necklace in one hand and his sword on the other. But that was already a different story. That of Gimilzagar and Fíriel ended with their death from old age, after centuries of tending to the graves of their protectors in the deep forest where they had been reborn.

Very good, my child. Ar Zimraphel’s voice caressed his ear, as he turned around in his makeshift bed, trying to find a comfortable position in the hard wooden surface. Next to him, he heard a moan as Fíriel snuggled closer. You solved the riddle, and I am proud of you.

That night, as he finally managed to fall asleep, Gimilzagar’s dreams were dreams of happiness, and of hope.

 

 

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Even after reading only four chapters of Full of Wisdom and Perfect in Beauty, I am immersed in the Numenor of Gadira's creation.  I'm particularly drawn to diverse cultural interpretations of JRRT's world, and Gadira's is an excellent one.  The political machinations, the social structure, the theology, the environment itself - all are well realized.  Couple those with well-drawn, complex and conflicted characters (my favorite variety), and this proves to be a well-crafted story.

Keep those chapters coming.  Please!

- pandemonium_213, 29-08-2007

Given that I am on a review-ish tear (multiple MEFA drafts lurking in my iBook), I thought I'd pop in to tell you how much I am enjoying Full of Wisdom and Perfect in Beauty.  You've created a marvelous secondary world out of a secondary world (tertiary world, perhaps?) with a wealth of details poured into both culture and characters.  I devoured these (and subsequent) scenes of Melkyedid - truly an exotic creature despite her distant connections to Numenor.  The final scene of Inziladûn and Zarhil (latest chapter) as the realism that an heir is on the way was well done - laughing at the foolishness of an assumption that caused so much recrimination.  

Your background and interests (history if I read between the lines correctly?)  shine throughout the story and embellish your story arc with such richness so that it reads like original fiction yet with the satistfying additions that JRRT did not sketch out.  I love the interweaving of Mediterranean/European mythology throughout.

And Inziladûn and Gimilkhâd?  Fabulous characters!  Flawed, conflicted but each with his own redeeming traits as well.    You "write" their complexity effectively.  Finally, you capture the constant shroud of darkness and the languid decadence overhanging of the last days (well, years) of Numenor oh-so-well. 

I look forward to the coming chapters. 

Argh- sorry. I did not see this review until today!

Thank you very much for the nice words. My basic driving interests when writing this fic was my love of Phoenicians, though there are several other civilisations (not all Mediterranean) added to the mix.

(And I´m secretly very glad that you enjoy my characters)

Great to see that you have resumed the novel, Gadira!  The Wolf's Howl was gripping and suitably creepy.  Seeing the events through young Amandil's eyes was effective.

Really like this interlude, especially the scene between young Pharazôn and Zimraphel and their curiosity about one another.  Zimraphel comes across as fey and disturbing -- nicely done! I also found it refreshing that Inziladûn (at least from the children's perspective) is not entirely benign.

 

Thanks! I was afraid that people had just forgot about this after so long...

 

I´m glad you like what I´m doing with the new generation so far. Zimraphel´s portrayal may seem a bit controversial, but Tolkien did kind of go back on his decision of making her a mere victim.  And Inziladûn can´t be entirely benign -he´s going to be a king, after all. :)

I hope you will keep enjoying this.

Just to say - I haven't really been able to keep up with this, but the bits I've read are impressive. You have a lot of interesting ideas about Numenorean culture and how it shapes your protagonists!

I must admit I am a bit uncomfortable with the concept of Melkor as the traditional and inherited deity of the Numenoreans, though - not that I can't at least to some extent see where you're coming from. And of course it seems to be an integral part of your version of Numenor.

Hi, and thanks for reviewing! It was hard to pick this up again, but now I´m getting into the mood and remembering more and more stuff as I go by.

On Melkor: Tolkien said that many of the men who remained in Middle-Earth during the Second Age worshipped the darkness and were descendants of those that had fallen under Morgoth´s sway. When Númenoreans started travelling to Middle-Earth and having interests there, they could have theoretically picked up all kind of ideas. Of course Tolkien wouldn´t have liked it... but I don´t like Tolkien´s take of a pre-modern human society that exists without any kind of otherwordly belief for centuries and centuries, just because he didn´t want them to be pagans. It´s unrealistic, it never happened on Earth, and if it doesn´t stand out much in a chronicle like the Akallabêth, for a novel it´s not feasible. Hence the subversion. :P

Oh, wow, this is a great chapter!  The pacing is fantastic -- a true page turner (digitally speaking).  The first scene between Amandil and Pharazôn just crackles and snaps. Excellent writing there.  I will say it again: I love your characterizations of these two fellows.  They are so real, so human.   Likewise, the break between Amandil and Yehimelkor is heartwrenching.

The character of Yehimelkor is so well-crafted, but then I find all your supporting cast to be intriguing.  I daresay you could spin them off into their own arcs readily.  The connection of Yehimelkor to Alashiya is a neat bit.  The priest has always struck me as a noble, deeply intellectual yet brittle man.  As painful as it is to see Amandil rejected and turned out by his mentor, I find myself in understanding of why Yehimelkor reacts as he does and sends Amandil away.

Excellent wordsmithing throughout, too, and I love the finality of this last line.

And with this he turned back, and walked inside his rooms with the silent irrevocability of a High Priest after a sacrifice.

Looking forward (as at the edge of my seat) for more.  Well done, Gadira!

Wow, a review! Thanks, thanks!

I am glad you like the characterization of Amandil and Pharazôn -I´m growing too fond of them, especially of the latter, which I´m starting to suspect may become a problem at some point. (I may get to feel just like Tolkien when he wrote Fëanor and the Noldor. They´re bad! But I like them! But they´re bad! But I like them!). LOL.

I´m not sure about the supporting cast getting their own arcs, though, as the most important points are covered here, and writing other things would read like filler. For a while I was wondering whether to give my Elendil some side story, as he´s born to be a main character and then is shortchanged. But my inspiration of late is not feeling very generous, so I prefer to concentrate in the stuff at hand. If I ever get to the end of this I may write the Ar-Adunakhôr part, though. I think I could fall in love with him; he´s such an explosive mix of Pygmalion of Tyre, Hiram I and Constantine the Great. And Elissa/ Alissha could be a great character, too, from what I could glimpse of her in "The Northern Sea".

As for the connexion between Yehimelkor and Ar-Alissha´s line: add Melkorbazer to the mix, who was also a priest of Melkor from the same family and fell in disgrace after he married Lindorië, Inzilbêth´s mother and Inziladûn and Gimilkhâd´s grandmother. They always manage to be in the thick of things, though rather in the wrong side of them.

Ah, well, I´m glad you´ve liked this and are ready to come back for more! And don´t worry, for Yehimelkor´s role in this story, supporting character as he may be, is far from over. His High Priesthood will cover the periods where most sane people would want to be very, very far away.

So the boys have returned to tie the knot, and there's no way out for Isildur (that is, he could decide to die, but that would be uncanonical). I'm very sorry for his bride, over-talkative though she may be - nobody seems to like her much, though at least Amandil has an eye-opener and finds some pity for her. Isildur is to be pitied, too, though "Malik" is dead right in his assessment of their respective degrees of selfishness (as well as being a bit of a jerk, because it's a human right to pursue happiness). Anyway, it's good that Isildur inevitably got his act together in the end - he had to, or how else would he have ended up with four sons? Hopefully he'll run into someone who can tell him exactly what is going on with him, as the hint that he's in love with a ghost apparently isn't sufficient. Maybe Yehimelkor. Or Númendil. :P

It's a good thing Ilmarë doesn't know what's really happening to Fíriel in the Palace, or she'd be in a frenzy. It was thrilling to see Sauron again, and his conversation with Fíriel was extremely cleverly done. He remains the Deceiver, and he doesn't know what Zimraphel knows, and yet... his suggestion regarding why Zimraphel really wanted Fíriel in the Palace is as horrifying as it seems plausible. Last time I feared for the life of Gimilzagar, now I'm even more afraid for Fíriel. The idea of both of them dying together is less terrifying. Well played.

I must admit I find an irony in the contrast between the importance given to Isildur's bloodline later and his own, dim feelings about the subject. :P He did have four sons eventually, but only one falls within the scope of this story, as there were 40-year intervals between each birth, and 51 for Valandil (which originally gave me the idea for his general, er, lack of enthusiasm). I feel sorry for his wife, too. She might have been happier as an only child, and of course with any other husband. Númendil definitely sounds like he knows something that no one else does - not even Isildur himself, it seems.

Oh, and I'm happy you finally found a Sauron you could get behind.