So It Is Said by StarSpray

| | |

Fanwork Notes

written for Tolkien Gen Week 2022

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elros befriends some gulls

Major Characters: Elros

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Ficlet, Fluff, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 364
Posted on 5 July 2022 Updated on 5 July 2022

This fanwork is complete.

So It Is Said

Read So It Is Said

It is hard to find quiet moments these days, away from the constant noise and activity that comes with building a new kingdom from the ground up. But when it gets to be too much Elros puts his foot down, as the king, and commandeers a small skiff to take himself off down the coast, away from the half-done harbors and the mostly-done buildings around them.

When he is alone he tilts his head back, feeling the sun on his face, and breathes in deep. The water laps against the sides of the little boat. Gulls wheel overhead, and some come down to perch on the boat with him, watching with bright black eyes.

It is said that the seabirds of the world go at times to gather and bring tidings to a lonely tower on the eastern shores of Valinor. Elros does not know if this is true. It is also said that Lady Elwing, who lives in the tower, takes the shape of a great seabird and flies out over the waters; he has even heard claims from his own people of seeing her circling over the island, though she is not permitted to set foot on mortal lands. He knows the first part is true: he saw her transform into a great bird himself, long ago and far away in a world now drowned. He is not so sure about the latter part, which sounds to him like a mere fisherman's tale—for such tales are always followed by the claim that such sightings bring good luck.

He would like to believe the stories of the seabirds, though, and tossed the gulls on his boat a few bits of dried fish, and laughed as they flutter and squawk and right over the pieces. When they fly away at last he calls after them, "Give my greetings and my love to my mother!"

Three days later, as he is meeting with architects and builders, one looks up and points out a great sea bird, white with black-tipped wings, circling over the harbor. It does not call to them, but swoops down low over their heads before wheeling away westward.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.