In 2007, the SWG newsletter quietly began including a section called Around the World and Web for announcements from groups other than the SWG. Part of our mission had always been "connectivity," which for us meant helping out other sites, groups, and events trying to get the word out about the cool things they were doing.

For many years, Around the World and Web was published monthly (as was our newsletter) and compiled by hand by our moderator Elleth. Elleth had a list of sites she'd check every month, then write up a "blurb" for each link or event. Sometimes the other mods would pop something in there too. It was a time-consuming task for Elleth and far from perfect (we definitely had the situation, more than once, where an event was announced after the newsletter was posted and had concluded before the next newsletter), but it did let us get the word out as best we could and, hopefully, generated some interest in other fandom groups and events.

When we rebuilt the site (which will be open for two years on April 6!), we discussed the fate of Around the World and Web. We decided to keep it and automate it, as the new site allowed us to do.

I mention Around the World and Web this month because, in recent weeks, it has been an extremely busy part of our site as we enter the time of the year when many Tolkien-related events run. If you're wondering how to get your (or anyone's!) event included, any SWG member can be given permission to post in Around the World and Web as a scout. If that seems too much, you can send your announcement to the mods. We also crosspost most everything that gets posted to the #signal-boost channel on our Discord and try to watch out for announcements on Tumblr too.

If you're looking for a challenge or appreciation week or swap or event to nudge your muses, check it out! Scroll down to see the current announcements in this newsletter, or find it on our site under the News menu.

SWG News

A Sense of History: Straight Road
The next in a series of articles about ships passing to and from the West, Simon uses "The Fall of Númenor" to attempt to arrive at Tolkien's reading of the exordium to "Beowulf."

Fandom Voices: Comments and Feedback
Our Fandom Voices project tackles the fraught questions of feedback: what it is like to leave and receive feedback in the world of Tolkien fanworks.

20th Birthday Event Feedback Needed
Answer one small question to help us plan an even to celebrate our 20th birthday next year!

Call for Contributors: Themed Collections
Are you passionate about a topic related to Tolkien or fanworks? Do you have an impressive collection of bookmarks and favorites? We are looking for contributors who want to put together themed collections on the topic of their choice.

New Challenge: Bollywood
This month's challenge offers songs, films, and tropes from Bollywood, the world's largest film industry based out of India, as prompts for fanworks.

New Fanworks

Meeting the In-Laws by by awwyeah107 [Writing]

Caranthir is nervous about meeting Haleth’s father and brother for the first time. Haleth is sure everything will go well.

Read more ...

Morgoth's prisoner by by elennalore [Artwork]

Maedhros in Angband

Read more ...

Tumult by by StarSpray [Writing]

After the chaos of the War of Wrath, Uinen smooths the way for the ships of the Edain to sail to their new home.

Later, she does what she can at its fall.

Read more ...

Coincidences of Fate by by cílil [Writing]

Sometimes Eönwë wonders if his life is just like Manwë's romance novels. Sometimes he even thinks the One may be laughing at him from above.

A story told in exactly 4 1/3 drabbles.

Read more ...

Updated Fanworks

Tengwar Drabbles by by cílil [Writing]

A collection of Silmarillion-centric drabbles written for the Tengwar Challenge. Short and sweet!

Read more ...

Around the World and Web

Teitho August/September Contest: Do you remember ...?
For the contest theme for August and September, characters will look back to the past.

August challenge at tolkienshortfanworks on Dreamwidth
The August challenge has been posted to the tolkienshortfanworks community on Dreamwidth. The thematic challenge is: magic trees. The formal challenge is: call and response. New participants welcome.

Tolkien Pinup Calendar 2025 Sign-Ups Open
The Tolkien Pinup Calendar is an 18+ event for creating a calendar of risque fan art of your favorite Tolkien characters! Sign-ups are open for main commissioners, artists, and pinch hitters.

August 2024 Call for Papers and Proposals
Calls for papers and proposals for conferences and publications that are open during the month of August 2024.

Innumerable Stars 2024
Innumerable Stars is a Tolkien fandom gift exchange for all works by Tolkien or associated with Middle-earth.

Forgotten Ground Regained: Call for Submissions
Forgotten Ground Regained is looking for alliterative poetry on the themes of love, devotion, and desire for their upcoming fall issue.

Eönwë Week 2024
Eönwë Week is a Tumblr event for creating fanworks about Eönwë.

Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang (TRSB) 2024
Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang is an annual event where authors create a story of at least 5,000 words in response to an artwork created for the event.

Acorns and Oak Leaves: A Year of Bagginshield
Throughout 2024, the Bagginshield community Acorns and Oak Leaves offers monthly prompts to encourage new creations of all kinds.