April's character of the month, Salmar, is a deep character, which may seem a strange description of someone mentioned just once in the published Silmarillion. Yes, you have to go deep into the history of the legendarium to find him. Once there, you will find he was one of the many gods of the deeps (i.e., the sea ... just go with me here), where his character was a kind of everyman, doing everything from playing his violin to godding up the sea to mentoring the recalcitrant Noldor to riding off to battle with his twin brother. He was, to paraphrase Bilbo, stretched too thin, like too few fish in too big a pond. Maybe this is why Tolkien mostly got rid of him, leaving him as the artificer of the Ulumúri, a character who mostly functions to provide the sense of historical depth that Tolkien aimed to create in the legendarium.

Yet, he didn't disappear entirely. Much like the Norse giant Ymir, whose body was broken apart by the gods of Asgard and used to make the world, elements of Salmar's story resurface in other characters' tales.

Most of you reading this are probably creatives yourself, much like Tolkien. Salmar is interesting too in what he illustrates of the creative process: initially a central character in the pantheon but reduced to not much more than a footnote in the published text. Without the History of Middle-earth books, most of us would have no chance to realize that Salmar existed much beyond that very limited role. But we have this glimpse of the creative process and how deep sometimes a single name on the page can go to the one who created it.

You can read the biography of Salmar-Noldorin here.

Also make sure to note that sign ups are open if you want to have one of your stories discussed at our Second Age fanfiction book club, which will be held on our Discord server 29 and 30 April 2023. If you're not a member of our Discord and want to be, just reply to this email, and we'll send along an invite.

SWG News

A Sense of History: Straight Road
The next in a series of articles about ships passing to and from the West, Simon uses "The Fall of Númenor" to attempt to arrive at Tolkien's reading of the exordium to "Beowulf."

Fandom Voices: Comments and Feedback
Our Fandom Voices project tackles the fraught questions of feedback: what it is like to leave and receive feedback in the world of Tolkien fanworks.

20th Birthday Event Feedback Needed
Answer one small question to help us plan an even to celebrate our 20th birthday next year!

Call for Contributors: Themed Collections
Are you passionate about a topic related to Tolkien or fanworks? Do you have an impressive collection of bookmarks and favorites? We are looking for contributors who want to put together themed collections on the topic of their choice.

New Challenge: Bollywood
This month's challenge offers songs, films, and tropes from Bollywood, the world's largest film industry based out of India, as prompts for fanworks.

New Fanworks

Meeting the In-Laws by by awwyeah107 [Writing]

Caranthir is nervous about meeting Haleth’s father and brother for the first time. Haleth is sure everything will go well.

Read more ...

Morgoth's prisoner by by elennalore [Artwork]

Maedhros in Angband

Read more ...

Tumult by by StarSpray [Writing]

After the chaos of the War of Wrath, Uinen smooths the way for the ships of the Edain to sail to their new home.

Later, she does what she can at its fall.

Read more ...

Coincidences of Fate by by cílil [Writing]

Sometimes Eönwë wonders if his life is just like Manwë's romance novels. Sometimes he even thinks the One may be laughing at him from above.

A story told in exactly 4 1/3 drabbles.

Read more ...

Updated Fanworks

Tengwar Drabbles by by cílil [Writing]

A collection of Silmarillion-centric drabbles written for the Tengwar Challenge. Short and sweet!

Read more ...

Around the World and Web

Teitho August/September Contest: Do you remember ...?
For the contest theme for August and September, characters will look back to the past.

August challenge at tolkienshortfanworks on Dreamwidth
The August challenge has been posted to the tolkienshortfanworks community on Dreamwidth. The thematic challenge is: magic trees. The formal challenge is: call and response. New participants welcome.

Tolkien Pinup Calendar 2025 Sign-Ups Open
The Tolkien Pinup Calendar is an 18+ event for creating a calendar of risque fan art of your favorite Tolkien characters! Sign-ups are open for main commissioners, artists, and pinch hitters.

August 2024 Call for Papers and Proposals
Calls for papers and proposals for conferences and publications that are open during the month of August 2024.

Innumerable Stars 2024
Innumerable Stars is a Tolkien fandom gift exchange for all works by Tolkien or associated with Middle-earth.

Forgotten Ground Regained: Call for Submissions
Forgotten Ground Regained is looking for alliterative poetry on the themes of love, devotion, and desire for their upcoming fall issue.

Eönwë Week 2024
Eönwë Week is a Tumblr event for creating fanworks about Eönwë.

Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang (TRSB) 2024
Tolkien Reverse Summer Bang is an annual event where authors create a story of at least 5,000 words in response to an artwork created for the event.

Acorns and Oak Leaves: A Year of Bagginshield
Throughout 2024, the Bagginshield community Acorns and Oak Leaves offers monthly prompts to encourage new creations of all kinds.