The Condensed Silmarillion by Cheeky

| | |

Why Hanging with Petty Dwarves is not a good Idea


hy Hanging with Petty Dwarves is not a Good idea.

It turns out Mim the Petty Dwarf used to hang out at Finrod's place and he was not best pleased that Finrod had managed to somehow nick the whole entire cave set up from him and his other petty dwarf mates. It seems no one explained to them Finrod had gone off the rails when they let him in.

So obviously when Beleg the Elf showed up and Turin spontaneously lost all interest in Mim at the same time this meant Beleg was suddenly persona non grata in the Petty Dwarf world.

The fact Beleg had nothing to do with Finrod didn't seem to register. One Elf is the same as another it seems.

I guess the Petty Dwarves actually WERE petty.

Unfortunately, this coincided with Turin getting a rather bad case of swelled head and going round wearing a helm which let Morgoth know exactly who....and where he was. Not your brightest moment Turin.
In fact it was such a spectacularly bad move Tolkien tells us Morgoth actually laughed.

Probably a really evil laugh.
You know the kind...mwha ha ha ha ha.

Can you imagine Morgoth, sitting in on a cold winters evening, watching his 'I can see everything Arda' video link calling out to his minions.

"Hey guys come and see what that idiot Turin is doing now!!!"
Must have made his night.

So Mim, sulky petty dwarf teamed up with the singing orcs of Morgoth and arranged to get Beleg killed, making sure Turin would get off scot free......either because he secretly still had a crush on him despite the unfortunate head swelling or because he planned some kind of personal revenge for the randomly forgotten death of his son.

We never get to find out which because Mim ends up getting scared off by a sorely wounded Beleg and flees, wailing from the hill top. The worlds most embarrassing exit from a story..........wailing.....

Beleg then undergoes a miraculous healing process which is not very clearly explained, possibly because Tolkien was a bit unsure of the details himself,

Tolkien: Hmm I need him to be sorely wounded and then suddenly to be well enough to go on a rescue mission, how shall I achieve that? I know, just not explain it at all, just say he is an extraordinarily great healer and leave it at that. He is an elf, they are bound to buy that!

Tolkien used that tactic an awful lot when it came to the elves.

When newly healed Beleg comes to his senses the poor guy discovers he has foolishly lost track of Turin.

Take your chance while you can Beleg and get well away from him!

Remember what happened to Saeros.

Run Beleg Run..........and make sure you stay well away from any chasms.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment