The Condensed Silmarillion by Cheeky

| | |

The Sad Tale of Maedhros and Fingon :Part Three


The Sad Tale of Maedhros and Fingon : Part 3

As he rushed toward the battlefield Maedhros was angry with himself. He was fuming.
" I am so late. Fingon will be furious. He told me never to let him down like this again. Why, why, why did I waste so much time talking to Uldor the Accursed. Why didn't I notice his last name was The Accursed???"

" Perhaps there's only one of us who has any brains...." Muttered Maglor from behind him.
This did not improve Maedhros's mood.

And his mood got even worse when he finally arrived at the battle. "What has he done?? " he gasped horrified "he has attacked Morgoth without me. Fingon, you really are an idiot, why would he do this?"

" Because he is Fingon the Valiant remember " Maglor piped up still behind him. (that's where Maglor has to spend this entire story, just behind Maedhros. I think by now he is getting a bit sick of it.) "Fingon who rushes in where others fear to tread and doesn't think about the consequences. You thought it was wonderful that time he rescued you, when I had to hold it all together and worry about our people. Then it was all, ' Where were you Maglor ? Why weren't you more like Fingon, Maglor ?, Fingon came to rescue me and you didn't Maglor' "
( I think Maglor may have some Fingon issues).

Maedhros ignored him, ( perhaps that is the problem?) and leapt in to battle. " Well I have to reach him now, before he does something even more ridiculous.....like that singing. I bet he has that damn harp somewhere, he never goes anywhere without it."

Unfortunately for Maedhros, Gothmog the Balrog got there first and it all ended very messily for Fingon. In fact Tolkien makes a special point of telling us just how very, very messily it ended for Fingon, who's last thoughts were probably " Maybe I should have just waited for Maedhros after all........."
He did go out in a blaze of glory though with a white flame shooting out of his helmet. Fingon was nothing if not totally glorious!

"Fingon........" Maedhros wailed from across the battlefield. " I was only a few days late....why didn't you wait for me? We are immortal. Time is supposed to be of no consequence for us..."

Poor Maedhros. He failed to take into account the damage a couple of jealous friends and a few glasses of wine can do to a relationship.

But Maglor gets the last word, which doesn't happen often.
"Fingon the Slightly Squished, I think he is now. Suddenly it's not that great that he is so impetuous is it?"


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment