The Condensed Silmarillion by Cheeky

| | |

Beleg


Beleg was awesome.

Much as I hate using that word, there is no other word for Beleg.

If there was a Sindar Elf worth writing about Beleg was it.

So Tolkien hardly writes about him at all. Can you hear me Tolkien? We should have had more Beleg.
LESS Beren and Luthien. MORE Beleg!!

Beleg and Turin were mates......best mates.........maybe more than best mates......

Sindar Elf and Human foster son of Elves, Inseparable best Friends, sound familiar?
Oh it is just like Aragorn and Legolas.

Unfortunately Turin being Turin he ends up accidentally killing Beleg.

So not like Aragorn and Legolas at all then.

Can you imagine it? The Three Hunters chasing Orcs across Rohan when Aragorn accidentally runs Legolas through with his sword..... Oops......well that would have caused Gimli a bit of psychological trauma!!
Still I digress because that hasn't actually happened yet.

The Thingol Impostor suffering from pangs of misplaced guilt at Turin's disappearance sent Beleg out to find him. Unfortunately this didn't go all that well,( It's Turin's story so take it as read from here, nothing in this story turns out well).
Turin's gang of Worlds Worst outlaws beat him up. Not sure where Turin was when that happened, off looking for another naked elf running in the woods possibly?
Still when he finally gets back Beleg forgives him. Everyone always forgives Turin no matter what he does and I totally don't get why.

Turin though, against all better judgement, won't go back to Doriath. Turin's better judgement is shown to be seriously lacking throughout this tale.

So Beleg troops back without him.
He has a meeting with Impostor of Thingol, and Melian, who despite being a Maia, seems not to have noticed Thingol's complete personality change. They send poor Beleg back out to Turin with some gifts and such lovely gifts they are too.
From Thingol, Beleg gets a..............cursed, semi evil sword.
A sword made by Eol, full of malice, that resents anyone that owns it.
So helpful Thingol.

From Melian the Maia. The powerful magical Maia he gets.................bread. Lembas bread to be exact. All this power, all this magic and the most helpful thing she can come up with is bread.
Seriously????

Apparently Men have never tasted this bread before so this is supposed to be a big exciting thing for them. I can see it their reaction now.

" She sent us bread?! .......oh yay...so exciting....not.."

So with these lovely thoughtful gifts.....the evil sword and bread. Beleg sets out once again.

In his absence Turin has managed to accidentally kill a Petty Dwarf and he and his gang are spending their time hanging out with the Petty Dwarfs Dad, Mim, who has forgiven them....kind of.... As everyone does forgive Turin.
Note to Turin: Actually hanging out with someone whose son you just killed is probably not the best idea. No matter how many times they say they have forgiven you.

Turin is pleased when his best mate Beleg shows up, despite the really rubbish gifts he brings. But Mim the Petty Dwarf is less so.
In fact he is kind of jealous.

I totally don't blame him because as I said Beleg is awesome! No wonder Turin ditches the Petty Dwarf the moment Beleg shows up.
Note to Turin: When dumping someone it pays to be not quite so obvious.

This will cause some problems.........in the next chapter.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment