The Condensed Silmarillion by Cheeky

| | |

The Fall of Nargothrond


The Fall of Nargothrond.

So Gwindor is sidelined due to inherent hideousness and Orodreth lets Turin convince him that Finrod's tactics of secrecy which have helped ensure Nargothrond's survival for hundreds and hundreds of years are not the way to go.

That's right Orodreth, they worked fine for Finrod but you just throw it all out on the say so of some Man you hardly know. 

Instead they build a bridge which makes it really easy to get in and march out, hence
making sure Morgoth knew exactly where they were. Morgoth, at home tucked up watching The Turin Show with his henchmen on his long range radar must have thought all his xmas's had come at once.

And this was all so Turin could march around at the head of Elven armies waving his awesome sword, ( Let's not forget it is actually Beleg's sword.) and wearing his pretty armour and basically showing off. Even Tolkien, Turin's greatest fan admits at this particular moment he was slightly vain and prideful.

Even now all was not lost for Nargothrond. Orodreth receives an urgent message from Ulmo, (who is basically the only Valar worth bothering about by now. The others all having hid away behind the mountains eons ago.)

Ulmo says something along the lines of,

"What the hell are you doing? Could Finrod seriously not find someone better to be in the line of succession? Gildor, for example. Shut the doors. Stay at home and hope to hell Morgoth doesn't manage to find you."

Orodreth was slightly concerned about this but Turin was having none of it and Turin was pretty so he went along with him. What would an all powerful Valar know about it anyway? 

Long story short. 

They all rode out. Morgoth had a Dragon. End result rather a lot of casualties. Orodreth dead.( no loss there.) Gwindor dead.( poor ugly guy never stood a chance.) Finduilas taken prisoner.( no sympathy from me for fickle, shallow " Look at me, I'm a princess" Finduilas)

Turin survived. Of course Turin survived. Turin always survives to live to destroy another people. 

He rushes back to Nargothrond desperate to save Finduilas. But meets up with Glaudring the dragon and suddenly all his prettiness is to no avail. 

Glaudring enchants him.....as dragons are known to do. If Turin had bothered to spend some time researching instead of just prancing round with his sword he may have known this. Glaudring tells him some lies about his mother, lies about his sister but is remarkably honest about Turin himself.
Thankless fosterling he says, -yes that's pretty accurate.
Outlaw, - check.
Slayer of Friend . - Definitely right on that one.
Thief of Love.- looking at you Finduilas.
Usurper of Nargothrond. - yes, yes and yes.

Who knew Dragons were the psychotherapists of Middle Earth.
Maybe if Turin had got himself some Dragon therapy earlier he might not have gone on to be so insufferable!

I can just imagine Finrod's reaction to the news of the Fall of Nargothrond when he gets the message back in Valinor. Probably as he takes a break from trying to escape the clutches of Amaire. 

"For gods sake! How did Orodreth end up in charge??? Why would anyone think I would leave my life's work in the hands of that idiot? Where is Gildor? Why does everyone spend their time pretending he doesn't exist? Gildor was meant to inherit Nargothrond. It was meant to be Gildor damn you!!!..........oh by the way.......any news about Turgon?"

That's coming right up Finrod. Not long to wait now.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment