The Condensed Silmarillion by Cheeky

| | |

Hurin is in Denial


Hurin is in Denial.

Doriath was Hurin's next stop on his tour of "Elves who done me wrong."

But first came a brief romantic reunion with his wife. They got to speak a few sentences and then she died. 
This is the Turin/Hurin family, did you expect anything else?

So onwards he went to Doriath via Nargothrond. 

Who should he meet at Nargothrond but our old friend Mim the Petty Dwarf who had moved back in to his family home. 

"Who on earth are you to be hanging out in Finrod's place?" Hurin asked. Seemingly forgetting it was his son who came happily along and DESTROYED Finrod's place so he was hardly in any position to comment.

Mim pointed out his ancestral claim. 
"We were here first." Was basically how it went. 

Hurin took umbrage. 
"How dare you? You betrayed my son to the Orcs!"

Once again forgetting it was actually Turin who killed Mims son first and for no good reason. I am beginning to get the feeling Hurin is one of those parents who can never let their kids face the consequences they deserve.

Angry he employed the standard Turin, "you won't do what I want" method and slew him. Then ransacked Finrod's treasure and ran off with the Nauglamir, Finrod's favourite necklace. 
Just what is it with these Men all wanting Finrod's jewellery? First Barahirs ring and now this.

Then with no one left to kill he staggered into Doriath and came to see Thingol.

Poor old Thingol. 

Having just had a party to celebrate the disappearance of the last of this incredibly annoying human family, he is blessed with the appearance of the worst of them.

"Oh Hurin, it's you....yay." He says less than enthusiastically. 

And thinks to himself......

"What have I done to deserve this?"

Hurin proceeds to call him on every single error of judgement he has made in the past several years, ( maybe he picked up some dragon counselling skills while at Morgoth's place?)
The only point that is actually at all valid is the fact Finrod had to die trying to complete his silly Silmaril errand but even then.......doesn't Finrod himself wear some of the guilt for that? 
Could have just said no, Finrod!

Never thought I would find myself feeling sorry for Thingol.

Guess there is a first time for everything.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment