The Condensed Silmarillion by Cheeky

| | |

Thingol Learns His Lesson,( or does he?)


Thingol learns His Lesson. ( or does he?)

The dwarves took Thingol's request to merge Silmaril and fancy necklace very seriously. 
What am I saying, of course they took it seriously, it involved jewels and sparkly things.

When they finished the Silmaril necklace was a joy to behold. Doubly shiny. 

Thingol happened to be right there when they finished it. 
" I will look so pretty with this round my neck!" He said, ( remember he is an elf, prettiness is everything.)

But the dwarves would have none of it for they were rather attached to the Silmaril necklace themselves. 

"Hang on! They cried, "this isn't even yours. It's Finrod's and since he isn't here it may as well be ours. We made it for him after all." 

But Thingol saw into their hearts.....apparently......though I tend to think all Thingol saw were the very very shiny jewels right in front of him. 
Still he pretended to see into their hearts because that had slightly more weight than just admitting he wanted the shiny things. 

It now becomes obvious Thingol has not much clue about how to win friends and influence people.

The dwarves have something he wants. The dwarves have quite a reasonable argument why they should keep it.

What he should do is flatter them, offer them lots of other shiny things and sing wonderful praises about their general awesomeness.

What he does do is call them names and point out exactly how much better than them he is. 

It doesn't work.
They rose up, laid hands on him and slew him.

I am not sure why he died just because they touched him. A rampaging, vicious dwarven skin ailment perhaps? 

They took the fancy necklace and fled. But they only had short little legs so they didn't get very far. All but two of them were killed and the necklace taken back to Melian. 

Rather a shame the elves were so lax as to let two dwarves escape. 

This comes back to bite them shortly. 

I guess all dwarves look the same to them but they should have been able to count. 
Oh well you KNOW we are going to be seeing those dwarves again very, very soon.

They took the necklace back to Melian who had fallen into a deep depression. She was a Maia remember and had had a bit of foresight, ( not that you needed to be a Maia to see what was coming for Doriath at this point.) Can I just say, if she was gifted with foresight you would have thought she could have tied Thingol up and kept him safely out of the way in a closet for large periods of time and that may have saved Doriath in the long run.

Anyway she sees the writing on the wall so what does she do? What would you do if you were the Queen and a Demi God and could see the further destruction of your people?
Arrange a mass evacuation?
Organise the military to defend you?
Perhaps even send a message to the Sons of Feanor saying "Come and get your Silmaril. It's all yours, just leave us out of it."

All very laudable possibilities.

What does Melian do?
She withdraws her power......the power that has protected the people of Doriath all this time.....and vanishes.
She walks out on her people and doesn't look back.
She goes and sits in the gardens of Lorien and muses on her sorrows.

Thanks a lot Melian.

The moral of the story. 
Never trust the Valar......or the Maia. They give a whole new definition to what it is to be self absorbed.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment